Windows Support Forum

Important update offered for wrong Office program

Q: Important update offered for wrong Office program

I was notified today of one important update, KB2881030, but checking shows this to be for the 32 bit version of Office 2010. I have only MS Office Home and Student 2007 on my 64bit computer. Further, the update has a prerequisite mentioned, i.e., Microsoft Office 2010, Service Pack 2, definitely not on my computer. Finally, the update's "more information" did not mention any files in Office 2007 that were involved. I won't install this update unless I learn I need it, but I'm wondering if there are others being offered this apparently inappropriate update. Anyone else involved?

Thanks.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Important update offered for wrong Office program

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Important update offered for wrong Office program

Hi,
Interesting I only got a junk email filter update
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115192

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397077-important-update-offered-wrong-office-program.html
Relevancy 72.24%

7pro x64

I am being offered an update for office 2010 (KB2881030), but 2007 is the only one ever installed. What's up with that? Is there a way I can root out and eliminate whatever is triggering this?

A:Office 2010 update being offered for no reason

Sometimes a later version update is offered if it will fix a problem, or improve an earlier version as well.

Don't worry about it & just go ahead & install it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/398432-office-2010-update-being-offered-no-reason.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Would it hurt not to install an important update if the program is not used?

I do not use anything "Live", but have it installed.

Does this leave me vulnerable if I don't?
Used as reference:
Windows Live Essentials 2011 (KB2434419)

A:Would it hurt not to install an important update if the program is...

No, it won't hurt anything. I don't use IE, so I don't install any of the "Important security updates"

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/119454-would-hurt-not-install-important-update-if-program.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I don't use Skype. I uninstalled it. Windows Update keeps sending updates and marking them as 'important.' If I run the update I find I need to uninstall the program again.

I'd like reassurance that I can safely ignore these updates.

It makes sense to me, but software has gotten complex enough that I want to be sure that this update only updates Skype for Windows and that failure to implement it does not leave a gaping hole in Windows 7.

thanks

baumgrenze

A:Skype For Windows - Program Not Installed - Important Update?

If you change windows update settings as shown below then in theory you will not be offered skype. If you prevoiusly had skype installed and are still offered updates then I guess that skype wasn't fully removed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/402722-skype-windows-program-not-installed-important-update.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi,

I am on a new PC running Windows 7, having used Vista previously. On Vista, I had a spreadsheet with hyperlinks to several images stored on my HDD. They opened in Photo Gallery when clicked.

Now, on 7, they always open in MSIE8, even though default program for pictures is set to Live Photo Gallery. This happens in both Office Professional XP and Office 2010 Professional beta.

Is there any way to make them open in photo gallery?

Thanks
TheNewNo2

A:Office hyperlinks open in wrong program

I phoned Microsoft they told me that all hyperlinks will only open in IE. I want my hyperlinks to jpeg files to open in Windows photo viewer not IE . If anyone can solve, this much appreciated??? BTW The default program to open the jpeg file is already set to open with windows photo viewer. I tried disabling IE8 and then the excel hyperlink ceases to work at all. Why microsoft does not give any flexiblilty about hyperlink file opening programs is beyond me, as they are all microsoft products anyway. The only thing I can think of is that it is microsoft insisting that you keep IE enabled on your windows 7 operating system. Give us break Microsoft, you are making more and more people go to Apple/Mac!!!!! Can someone help me with a not too complex fix, i.e no major surgery on the registry, minor day surgery ok.Thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/56217-office-hyperlinks-open-wrong-program.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I'm having a frustrating problem that I'm guessing is going to be easily solved.
I have a user who opens word and excel files directly from a website and has a requirement to fill some details in and then send them via outlook 2007 to recipients.

Up until about a week ago this was no problem... within Word 2007, simply click on the send to mail recipient button and outlook opened and off it went.

After seemingly nothing has changed, Word now wants to open outlook express instead of Outlook 2007. (The default mail program is still Outlook 2007).

Does anyone know the cause of this.

Thanks
Ian.

Relevancy 64.93%

I had updated my version of Office XP Pro on Windows using the MS Office Update site at Microsoft successfully and installed SP and KB updates All the about screens of Word Excel etc show version SP but cannot find any record of the KB updates The update engine version was downloaded and was used successfully to download and XP is Office Update MS Wrong List install SP and KB patches previously I have reviewed the article that goes with KB and I can verify MS Office XP Update List is Wrong manually that this patch is installed from the version numbers of the files MS Office XP Update List is Wrong installed I MS Office XP Update List is Wrong have performed an Office repair and nothing changed Today I go to MS Office Update to check to see if there are any further updates and it claims that SP and KB need to be installed one after the other OK perhaps my SP update needs updating I downloaded the SP update with no problems but the installation fails without giving any indication why I verified the quot already installed updates quot from the Office XP Update site and it seems to agree that the above mentioned updates haven t been installed However several updates have been installed and are listed I then proceeded to download the SP patch itself from Microsoft and install that and it tells me quot The update has already been applied or is included in an update that has already been applied quot - quite right it is too I cleared the TIF cookies and other Internet Explorer junk and rescanned with no difference -------------- Questions How do I ensure that the MS Office Update site shows what I believe is the correct configuration of my Office XP products How do I determine from my PC what Office XP updates are really installed I have found this Office Update Inventory Tool http www microsoft com office ork offutoolv htm which lists which updates you have on your machine I have tried this and it shows only Office SP installed but not SP nor KB So where are the office update tools getting their information from and how do I correct that without a complete uninstall and reinstall nbsp

A:MS Office XP Update List is Wrong

Further information...

I am trying to coerce Office Update to show what is really installed so that in future I don't have to download individual updates that the Office Update won't let me install since it claims I need SP3 first.

The Office XP product and associated files on my PC definitely show that all the patches including SP3 and KB833858 are installed.

I'm veering towards an uninstall and reinstall, hopefully product activation (or more precisely re-activation) would be smooth, but I'm holding off to see if there is a fix.

Recalling the events to determine what may have caused this after I had suscessfully updated and patched. I can only think that enabling Office XP on the other accounts on this same machine reset the information that the non-Office tools use to determine what is installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-office-xp-update-list-is-wrong.238075/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi,
I installed office 2013 with SP1, on Windows 8.1 update 1.
Office version is 15.0.4569.1506.
But Windows update is showing Service Pack 1 for Office is available for download.

Is it a fault? How to determine my office is with SP1? How to tell windows update that office has SP1?

A:Windows update is showing wrong updates for Office 2013SP1

What is the KB number?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/50851-windows-update-showing-wrong-updates-office-2013sp1.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have Win Office 2010 running on Win 7 Professional.
Update log shows that I have a PowerPoint 2003 update that is trying to install at system shutdown.

I installed Office 2010 two years ago...

This has been going on for months. How do I remove the uninstallable (and UNWANTED) update?

A:Haw to remove a downloaded update file for wrong edition of Office?

Right click on the update then left click on "hide update" and it won't appear again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/214165-haw-remove-downloaded-update-file-wrong-edition-office.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi guys,

I'm wondering why this security patch for a zero day flaw in IE 11 is not checked by default? Surely it should be.

A:KB2964358 Important update (but not that important)

Don't know why.
I usually manually check one or right click on one & hide it.
I hide all bing desktop updates.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/45596-kb2964358-important-update-but-not-important.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have been having problems with simple functions in Excel Word PPT Office Enterprise causing the applications to go into quot Program Not Responding quot mode Some such as attempting to bold a word or number come back in a few minutes others such as 'save as - pdf' never come back Running a repair from the Office installation CD fixes these problems until the next Update runs For awhile I was repairing Office daily Now I've gone to doing updates manually every few weeks and then repairing Office I ran an update this morning and aftewards tried Office just to see if the problem of quot Program Not Responding quot had returned It had - so - I ran repair again from the Office CD and it is gone Would love to get to the root of this Auto Update 7 Responding Causing Office Program Not problem and Auto Update Causing Office 7 Program Not Responding be able to have Auto Updates run and not have to keep running the repair Suggestions Mar - I'm thinking my problem may really be VPN based Today rather than connect to VPN immediately I'm in a home office connecting to the company network I tried working with my Office apps accessing the mapped drives and shared printer from my home system and everything worked fine I then started VPN and things seem to be continuing to work fine I'd seen other comments about this issue having to do with accessing mapped shared resources so I wonder if by starting VPN immediately it has trouble with the connection to resources on my local network whereas if those have already been exercised before starting VPN it is happy

A:Auto Update Causing Office 7 Program Not Responding

Do you do regular Registry Cleanups & Disk Cleanups?

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/66230-auto-update-causing-office-7-program-not-responding.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a Mail server running Microsoft Exchange 5.5 on a NT 4 machine.

I created a distribution list say, listA. I added some accounts in the listA distribution list.

Someone reported that he sent an email message to the listA distribution list but the email was received by someone else who does not belong in the distribution list (listA). Do you have any idea what might happened. The NT 4 machine is a Pentium Pro acting also as a primary domain controller + webserver IIS 3 (!)

Thanks in advance!

A:{Advice Offered} - wrong email delivery

Greetings

Make sure that Distribution List B has not been put in Distribution List A, by mistake.

If that has happened, then everyone in Dist List B is also on Dist List A.

Also, have a look at the original e-mail on the sender's side (lokk in his sent items folder). Make sure that it was sent purely to the one list, and that this user is not perhaps the name just above or below the name of the Dist List... and may have been added by a slip of the mouse...
As you may have guessed, I am thinking this was a user glitch, not an Exchange fault. I think this is a case of the Computer doing exactly what you TOLD it to do, not what you WANT it to do....... know what I mean?

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-wrong-email-delivery.28664/
Relevancy 55.47%

I installed win2k on my machine and now all of the icons associated with Office documents, ect. are not working. I don't know where to go in the registry to fix this. Also, I can't get SP1 for Office to work. It says it is missing a .hlp file. Any thoughts?

A:{Advice Offered} - Win2K and Office 2K HELP!!

Greetings

Did you do a fresh or dual boot install of Win2K, or did you do an upgrade to Win98?

In either case, you may need to re-install Office 2K to solve both problems.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-win2k-and-office-2k-help.29357/
Relevancy 55.47%

Here's will 800B0100 not Code details: update. Important Error Update Vista another tricky one This important security update will not update It is only Kb Microsoft says it is caused by a virus problem I have Norton installed Norton say it is Vista Important Update will not update. Error details: Code 800B0100 not a Vista Important Update will not update. Error details: Code 800B0100 virus Microsoft say pay us to fix it I say I can't afford to pay that for something when I have no way of knowing exactly what the problem really is This has been going on since November All the other updates are installed immediately but not this one Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework SP on Windows Vista SP and Windows Server SP x KB Installation date PM Installation status Failed Error details Code B Update type Important A security issue has Vista Important Update will not update. Error details: Code 800B0100 been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article After you install this update you may have to restart your system More information MS - Description of the security update for the NET Framework Service Pack for Windows Vista Service Pack and Windows Server Service Pack October Just noticed this more recent one failed to update - Security Update for Windows Vista KB Installation date PM Installation status Failed Error details Code F Update type Important A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article After you install this update you may have to restart your system More information MS - Description of the security update for USB drivers October Help and Support Microsoft Support Any ideas please

A:Vista Important Update will not update. Error details: Code 800B0100

That error is not caused by a virus, it is caused by a file corruption
The readiness tool can correct the problem in many situations
What is the System Update Readiness Tool? - Windows Help

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/303686-vista-important-update-will-not-update-error-details-code-800b0100.html
Relevancy 55.47%

be truthful to the public. I have been reading a lot about people ditching windows and going to Linux. I wonder why. wow I used to love and trust windows. now I don't know anymore. you all have become something other than wonderful like I used to think.
too bad. maybe I should learn Linux too. windows is probably a habit lots of people will learn to break. scary. Be honest about your updates. ty.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/adfd864d-cfe8-4d34-8f4e-166e72a3a04a/why-cant-i-uninstall-an-update-todays-update-is-making-my-computer-act-unruly-i-hate-that-if?forum=itprovistasecurity
Relevancy 55.47%

Windows Vista SP1 (KB936330) update keeps coming back as important update after installing it several times. I look at updates history and it show the same update already installed several times. Service Pack 1 (KB936330). I don't see update for Service
Pack 2 though. Can someone advice please, I am not sure what to do. I'd appreciate an advice. Thank you

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/13040f9f-69e6-472f-82c0-6a04955a1674/windows-vista-sp1-kb936330-update-keeps-coming-back-as-important-update-after-installing-it?forum=itprovistasp
Relevancy 55.04%

Office 2013 - Important Updates

Manually download:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/...px?q=KB3039795

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/53239-office-2013-important-updates.html
Relevancy 54.61%

What is the difference between Windows NT Back Office server and NT server?

------------------
David M. Gardner
[email protected]
[email protected]
Please send e-mail to both

A:{Advice Offered} - Back Office / Server

Back Office is NT Server plus other applications.

4.5 includes:

SQL Server™ 7.0, Systems Management Server 2.0, FrontPage 2000, Visual Interdev 6.0

and some other stuff.

Ah - just found a list on the MS site:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Question:
3. Exactly what components ship with the product in BackOffice Server 4.5?

Answer:
The following server components ship with BackOffice Server 4.5 and are fully integrated into BackOffice Server setup: &#61623; BackOffice Server Value Added Features including: o Intelligent, scenario based setup o BackOffice Server Deployment Wizard o BackOffice Server Manager consoles o BackOffice Web Administration o Intranet Starter Site o Seven Intranet Starter applications &#61623; Windows NT Server 4.0 with Service Pack 4 &#61623; Windows NT Option Pack (includes Internet Information Server 4.0, Index Server 2.0, Microsoft Transaction Server 2.0, Internet Explorer 5.0, Microsoft Message Queue Server and other components) &#61623; Exchange Server 5.5 with Service Pack 2 &#61623; SQL Server 7.0 &#61623; Systems Management Server 2.0 &#61623; Proxy Server 2.0 &#61623; Site Server 3.0 with Service Pack 2 &#61623; SNA Server 4.0 with Service Pack 2 The following client software ships with BackOffice Server: &#61623; Outlook 2000 &#61623; FrontPage 2000 (single user license) &#61623; Visual InterDev 6.0 (single user license) &#61623; Crystal Info 6.0 with 40 pre-defined BackOffice management reports (five user license)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-back-office-server.29566/
Relevancy 54.61%

I have no idea over this one. I'm running True Image 2014 with W8.1 and was amazed to see this. Could it be a compatabilty update for W10 or.... I have no idea.

Edit... I'm asking over at Acronis too.

A:Acronis Update offered on Windows Update today.

I go this too. I read on acronis forums it crashed systems. I hid it for now.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/68782-acronis-update-offered-windows-update-today.html
Relevancy 53.75%

HI! Saludos from Mexico.

I've been using the forum for the last week studying windows 8 and it's features, because recently i just bought an Asus x450CA with Windows 8 CoreSingleLanguage. (i use xubuntu regularly and osx, win7 a little)

So, i managed to download a Retail Win 8.1 update 1 (MSDN) and couldn't use my win8 OEM key to activate.

I realized i had to get a CoreSingleLanguage version, so downloaded the most recent ESD from a thread on MyDigitalLife.

I proceeded installing with Generic Key and then activating with my OEM key, and procedure was flawless.

Started downloading drivers, and search for updates, and i find my Windows update is showing KB2919355 with a more recent date as shown here:

Any info. regarding this situation? Windows 8.1 update is already installed as shown here:

A little update for the update? xD

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/53890-kb2919355-8-1-update-still-offered-windows-update.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Windows update trying to install same Security Updates for Microsoft Office over and over againThe issue affects Windows XP Vista Windows These are some of the updates posted by various users at MS Community forum KB KB KB KB KB The first pages of the above topic are mostly complaints Temporary solution If the updates are listed in Installed Updates just hide them until Microsoft releases a fix How to Hide or Restore Hidden Windows Updates in Windows How to hide Unwanted Updates on Windows VistaMicrosoft has now included the following text under the heading More information in some of their KB articles KB - Known issues with this security update You may be repeatedly offered this Office repeated over Security over MS for Updates offered 2007/2003 and update even though it Security Updates for MS Office 2007/2003 repeated offered over and over is already installed Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available http support microsoft com kb KB - Known issues with this security update You may be repeatedly offered this update even though it is already installed Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available http support microsoft com kb KB - Known issues with this security update You may be repeatedly offered this update even though it is already installed Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available http support microsoft com kb Go to Start gt Control Panel gt Programs and Features gt View Installed Updates and if listed remove the repeating updates After doing that hide each update Edit Appears MS Office updates are doing the same thing

A:Security Updates for MS Office 2007/2003 repeated offered over and over

Microsoft Offers Statement on KB2760411, KB2760588, and KB2760583 Updates“We’ve received reports of some customers experiencing issues when deploying some of September’s Office-related updates. We are investigating this issue and will act accordingly, to help ensure that our customers are protected,” Dustin Childs, group manager, Microsoft Trustworthy Computing, said in a statement.In the meantime, users who want to temporarily fix the problems are recommended to uninstall the faulty updates and then hide them from the Windows Update section of the built-in Control Panel.Microsoft Pulls KB2817630 Patch from Windows Update Servers

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507563/security-updates-for-ms-office-20072003-repeated-offered-over-and-over/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello all

When executing Windows Update, I experienced that one important update is not automatically selected to download and install.

I like to understand why this is?

Also I like to understand if I should always install all important updates, even the ones not by default selected?

In this example, the not selected update refers to MS09-054 security update. Is this a manual installed security update?
Does it not apply to me?

Thanks a lot in advance!

zx81

A:Windows Update, important update not selected

Not all users experience the issue that this update resolves. MS is providing you the oportunity to use the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" logic.

I applied the update even though I have no evidence that I need it. Yet.

Some updates will adversely affect some users. Not applying updates may adversely affect you.

What can you do? My advice - apply all updates. Unless you have a good reason not to.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/35094-windows-update-important-update-not-selected.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I just uninstalled Office 2010 using the uninstaller and the Windows updater keeps installing important updates for it ~300 MB at a time. How do I stop this?

A:Windows keeps installing important updates for uninstalled Office 2010

Which uninstaller did you use? The one in control panel > programs and features or something else? If programs and features you could try using the official Microsoft Fix it tool.

How to uninstall or remove Microsoft Office 2010 suites

If still having issues you can try using the free 30 day trial version of Revo > forced uninstall option.

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs easily, Forced Uninstall

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/274552-windows-keeps-installing-important-updates-uninstalled-office-2010-a.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi i downloaded program called Astra. its program for electrical design into house.When i create new project this will happen(it cant open table which is written in excel)help me please.(sry for my bad english)

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/390256-program-cant-open-important-table.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I purchased this laptop about potentially program a important Uninstalled a week ago off of Amazon Link Amazon com ASUS Uninstalled a potentially important program quot HD Core i Laptop GB RAM amp GB Hard Drive Computers amp Accessories Today in an attempt to fix a problem I was having I uninstalled a program Not exactly sure what it was called but I think it had Qualsoft in the name It came with the laptop After I Uninstalled a potentially important program removed it it was no longer able to connect to the web It didn't even list the available networks After I hit restart There were some updates scheduled to run after the next restart and they failed The screen has been stuck on a message for a couple hours that says quot Failure configuring Windows features Reverting changes Do not turn off your computer quot Will edit for updates after it manages to restart Edit once it restarts it goes right back to attempting to update and back to the green Failure screen Is it a bad idea to turn off the computer

A:Uninstalled a potentially important program

I think you've uninstalled the Qualcomm software which is for internet connection. Windows updates requires internet connection to download the updates, that's why the updates failed.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/53015-uninstalled-potentially-important-program.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I am trying to find out how I can install updates, new applications etc. over NT4.0 onto windows 987 clients computers. I am looking for a solution within NT4.0 or other third party softwares where I can schedule installations and upgrades for my computer instead of visiting each workstation. Please help if you know of a solution to my problem. Thank you.

A:{Advice Offered} - Remote Program Installation for NT

Microsoft SMS or WINInstall....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-remote-program-installation-for-nt.28979/
Relevancy 52.46%

So the other day I was trying to uninstall some fluff programs from my computer (after apparently downloading some pretty violent malware) and I accidentally uninstalled a program that I guess helped web images load up properly. Since then I've been getting everything from broken image links, to adds and forum posts with jumbled images and even this weird static cut-off thing. Help me find/replace the program please? Sure, it's bearable but it's ugly and driving me nuts.

I use Google Chrome for a web browser. Here are some screenshots for the problem I've been having:

A:I Uninstalled An Important Image Program From My Computer

Seems like it is time for a refresh or restore.

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/41931-i-uninstalled-important-image-program-my-computer.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I know you can have a program when opened turn the screen to 256 colors but how do you get a program to open 16 bit? I have it on 24 bit and i like it that way but to play the game you need 16. so i have to change it and then change it back

A:This is not real important but how do you get only 1 program to open in 16 bit color

I am not certain that this is possible with 2000 or XP without some sort of third party program such as resplendent resolver, which actually doesn't change the resolution, it just tricks the program into thinking it has 16 bit color.

There are some fast display switchers that come with some manufacturers display cards. There is also a free third party mode switcher called Multires from http://www.entechtaiwan.com/

They say it is XP compatable, but I have seen one instance where it did not work well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/this-is-not-real-important-but-how-do-you-get-only-1-program-to-open-in-16-bit-color.92938/
Relevancy 52.03%

Does anyone know a web site that rates FREE antivirus software downloads? I know you get what you pay for, but I have a CHEAP friend. Thanks Dave.

A:Solved: {ADVICE OFFERED} Free Antivirus Program

Hi!

You said "rates free virus software"? Do you mean they just need to get free virus software?

It's here:

http://antivirus.cai.com/
(And if you're worried about the rating, bhesson, aka Bryan, recommends this one, so I do too.)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-advice-offered-free-antivirus-program.41556/
Relevancy 52.03%

I already have IE 9 RC for over 2-3 weeks.

Today I received update notifcation for IE9, 18.5 MB

Do I " hide " this one, or this one is the final-final ?

Thank you.

A:IE 9 offered for update

Yes, the final has been released.......good time to upgrade.

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/288861-ie-9-offered-update.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I ran a scan with Clamwin yesterday on my Clevo d480w and it found the threat mentionned aboved. I searched it and deleted it.

Any comment on this particular virus or on the process to identify then to get rid of it welcome.

Thanks

A:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MAKECERT.EXE: Trojan.Menti-213 FOUND

Wrong forum mate -- queries about, and help with, malware should be posted here: http://forums.techguy.org/54-virus-other-malware-removal/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-program-files-microsoft-office-office-makecert-exe-trojan-menti-213-found.1054554/
Relevancy 51.17%

My update service has the following Solved: offered rid update of Getting update offered on it Update for Microsoft NET Framework on Windows XP Windows Server Windows Vista Windows Windows Server Solved: Getting rid of offered update x KB However it will not install correctly I had this Solved: Getting rid of offered update problem before with Net update and got on to microsoft support and it was never resolved I had to resort to uninstalling Net in the end Their support appeared to consist of ready made emails being sent out they rarely answered a direct question just kept saying how much they liked helping me and weren t they excellent I went through loads of operations with them including a repair of net but nothing would allow this update to install correctly I have hidden this update for now but know that very soon it will start to offer me all the net updates yet again It is a waste of time trying microsoft support again so how can I stop this update continually wanting to be downloaded please Do I need this net program and if so how can I get it without this problem occurring again Indeed do any other users have this problem nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

I'm continually being offered the update I am continuously asked for updates I am daily downloading the updates but this issue never gets resolved Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB Download being continually I'm offered update: the size MB Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB Download size MB Please help I'm continually being offered the update: Security Update for Microsoft NET Framework on XP Server Vista Windows Server Server R for x KB Download size MB You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect Update type Important It downloads installs fine and then a few minutes later says the update needs to be downloaded again I've restarted my PC and even tried using a direct download via the MS website but I'm still being told it's required to download It showsi in my installed updates list once but still keeps offering it to me again and again Does anyone know how I can fix it

A:I'm continually being offered the update:

You can try and download/install them directly, but it is best to post in this forum
Windows Updates & Activation - Windows 7 Help Forums

Be sure to attach the requested files mentioned in the posting instructions for that forum.
Windows Update Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/284486-im-continually-being-offered-update.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi I have a client that has Office They have two people with this issue It's not really a huge problem but more as an annoyance Whenever they go to open a document through an Office product Word Excel File gt Open gt Computer gt Browse the documents appear Office not Icons program>open>browse when displayed in 365 being office but they're missing the icons next to their name There's barely any information on it when Googling this and they all seem to lead to dead ends for us The Office 365 Icons not being displayed when in office program>open>browse two I have found are http community office com en-us f t aspx and http social technet microsoft com Forums office en-US d b -eda - b -b e -e ffd b c word-and-excel-file-and-folder-icons-missing-in-file-open-dialog-box forum officeitpro neither have resolved our issue I have ran a repair on Office re-installed office recreated Windows icons and opened the programs in Safe Mode to no avail No Add-Ins are causing the issue You can see the icons to the left of the files in Internet Explorer when going to Documents Any help would be appreciated Thank you

A:Office 365 Icons not being displayed when in office program>open>browse

I am just throwing out an idea and it probably will not work but what happens when you change to Large Icon view? Do you see the icons?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535935/office-365-icons-not-being-displayed-when-in-office-programopenbrowse/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have Secunia on my Acer Windows 8 laptop. According to latest scan today it's telling me I need an update for Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x That I don't understand since I've updated the laptop every time updates have been offered unless Microsoft failed to send it. (However, I haven't undated to Windows 8.1 yet -- I always hang back on that kind of major update to see what happens with everybody else.) I might be savy about a heck of a lot of things to do with computers but I don't know anything about that particular program. I started to read some stuff on it on the net, however, there's so much disagreement on it I gave up trying to figure out what to do. I hope I can get some good advice on that issue here. HELP!

A:Might Be Missing An Update That Could Be Important

Microsoft only publishes new updates for Windows on Tuesdays at 3am but unless if you don't install those updates those updates will be offered to you later if you choose to do so manually. Windows by default installs security important updates by automatically. To see if that update was installed go to the control panel select "Windows Update" then select "View Update History" Windows is great at managing updates on it's own you can also select not to automatically install Windows updates, and choose which ones to update and install. There is no need for 3rd party software to do this for you.

How To Change Windows Update Settings in Windows 8 & 8.1

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/might-be-missing-an-update-that-could-be-important-792322.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello,
I'am downloading very important files but I'm afraid that my computer might switch off because windows update gave me a notice that the computer will switch off after an update and the maximum amount of time you can postpone the computer to switch off is 4 hours (That's what I done). I will not be able to use the computer for more than 4 hours.
So this is what I did>> I think I turned windows update off by choosing the option of 'Never check for update (not recommended).

Now the question is> Will my computer switch off within 4 hours after I leave it?
If it will, then how can I make it not switch off.

PLEASE NOTE: The download is NOT resumable.
EDIT: I'm using Windows 7.

Thank you for reading.

A:[IMPORTANT] Windows Update

In my experience if you are still using the computer at the end of that 4 hours it will give you another warning and you will be able to postpone it again for another 4 hours. Then repeat process until the download is done. I am not sure if turning updates off will have stopped the countdown.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/important-windows-update-503478.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello everyone I have an problem with my Windows Professional bit system My problem is similar to this thread but since it's old and one poster mentioned quot do not necro-post quot I decided to make a new thread OK so I have a problem When prompt to install an important update I want to know what I am installing So I click onto details This image pops up This problem occurs on other system also but I have rule out the Internet as an issue I have tried with mobile broadband direct connection to the modem tethering with my iPhone I got it when I worked for Apple sex months and my Android sorry important details update Can see not about no Windows phone yet they are too expensive considering my Can not see details about important update needs I am running a Windows Professional bit operating system on a home-built system that has this specification Motherboard ASRock G M-GS CPU Intel Core Duo E MB Cache MHz X FSB MHz RAM GB DDR GPU AMD Radeon HD or the box says and the AMD update says Any thoughts on troubleshooting Kind regards Winky

A:Can not see details about important update

It's seems my picture did not work that well from SkyDrive. Here is a link from my Dropbox instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rva168sqfk...dowsUpdate.png

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/276717-can-not-see-details-about-important-update.html
Relevancy 51.17%

hi
today i did check for new update
and the windows 8.1 updater found an important update
western digital techologies-other hardware-wd ses device

but i haven't western digital hard drivers ..it'a laptop with a ssd installed

did you notice such upate?

thanks

A:wd ses device in the important update

I didn't get one. Did you install the SSD or did it come with your PC? If you installed it, it could be that the drivers from your old(possibly a WD?) and any registry keys are picked up by Windows update. I've noticed with Ccleaner, it shows a program that is already uninstalled sometimes in Cleaner Applications tab. I then have to go into the registry and do a recursive search for left over keys so it will stop showing up.
Or are you using an USB HDD?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/60941-wd-ses-device-important-update.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi everyone, I have been having problems installing the kb976932 update for weeks now. I feel like I tried everything. Im about ready to take a sledge hammer to this thing!

My main question, is this really that important?

I am mainly trying to install a printer to my computer which is unsuccessful and one of the troubleshooting suggestion by the printer manufacturer is to make sure the Windows updates are installed. Idk if this could be the problem or not.

A:Is the kb976932 update really that important?

This is Service Pack 1, so it very well could be the answer. I'm not saying that it is because I can't know.

Here's an official Microsoft website for Service Pack 1:

Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Source: Information about Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2

The official Microsoft website for Service Pack 1 has a link to download Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center:

Download Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) from Official Microsoft Download Center

You'll see a big list of files to download. Here's some text that explains what each one is for:

Information
7601.17514.101119-1850_Update_Sp_Wave1-GRMSP1.1_DVD.iso - This DVD image contains standalone update for all architectures.
windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe - This application installs Sp1 to a 32-bit machine running Windows 7.
windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe - This application installs Sp1 to a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.
windows6.1-KB976932-IA64.exe - This application installs Sp1 to an Itanium 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2.
Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.X86FRE.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (free) for 32-bit machines.
Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.X86CHK.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (checked) for 32-bit machines.
Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.AMD64FRE.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (free) for 64-bit machines. This contains debugging symbols for both Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.AMD64CHK.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (checked) for 64-bit machines. This contains debugging symbols for both Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.IA64FRE.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (free) for Itanium 64-bit machines.
Windows_Win7SP1.7601.17514.101119-1850.IA64CHK.Symbols.msi - Standalone debugging symbols (checked) for Itanium 64-bit machines.
You will want either windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe (32-bit) or windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe (64-bit) depending on whether you have 32-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit. Be cautious because there's one named windows6.1-KB976932-IA64.exe. That is for Itanium 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/282768-kb976932-update-really-important.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey

Sorry if this sounds like a really amateur question, but on some websites I see links to update your drivers via a download, and since you're not installing any new hardware, what's the significance of downloading something onto one of your drivers? How does your computer run better after updating? When do you know to replace the driver you have with a new one?

Sophie

Relevancy 51.17%

Windows Update has often put my system in some interesting situations and I truly never want to update ever again I recently reinstalled my system and the last time I did updates my system prompted me to restart and was instead left hanging on the quot shutting down quot message for an important? Windows Update Is hour forcing me to shut it down improperly Truth is I don't use any Microsoft apps except Windows Explorer and I only browse sites that I know are generally safe Instead of using Internet Explorer I use Firefox with NoScript Ghostery WOT Adblock Plus and I've even updated the main plugins Java etc I also have Malwarebytes and Norton as well I've also never Is Windows Update important? understood the importance of Is Windows Update important? driver updates either my system seems to run the same with or without them I'm even beginning to think that updating is causing my system to work harder in the background rather than when it was in factory condition but is this true So many questions

A:Is Windows Update important?

You have some good anti-malware software and keep Java updated, yet you fail to see the significance of keeping the operating system updated........??????

Fact : your system is more secure and runs better if the OS is updated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/272922-windows-update-important.html
Relevancy 50.74%

The Data Recovery Wizard program worked for me when I lost some important files. It had a prices tag but from my experience it was worth it. You can see the details info via http://www.easeus.com. I wanted to share but also wanted to make sure that I didn't stray from the forum rules.

A:The Data Recovery Wizard program worked for me when I lost some important files.

Welcome to TSG....

Thank you for this site. It looks excellent. I would not worry about the advertising thing since you are just pointing out a site that saved your bacon.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-data-recovery-wizard-program-worked-for-me-when-i-lost-some-important-files.560500/
Relevancy 50.74%

At present System Update is offering my P50 the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver 14.8.4.1046 as an optional update.Luckily I see the README says "*2: Caution: This package should not be installed if your system has PCIe SSD.  Please use MS inbox driver instead."  Because I have 2 x PCIe x SSD, so I did not install it.   And what's a "MS inbox driver" anyway?So 2 questions:a) Would I really have caused a problem?  (My version of the driver is 14.6.5.1036)b) Has Lenovo made a mistake offering this optional update? 

A:Bad System Update option offered for P50 ?

The MS inbox driver refers basically to the default driver windows installs from the driver packages it has access to.  As for the update, I was curious about this so installed it on one of my P50 machines that has 2x 512gb NVMe M.2 SSDs, and 1x 2.5" mechanical SATA drive.  The update did not cause any issues for me, but YMMV.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Bad-System-Update-option-offered-for-P50/td-p/3305900
Relevancy 50.74%

I'm unable to install an update to windows installer 3.1. I've tried many times and it always fails. But I also read the fine print about that update and it doesn't sound as if it matters much if I don't install it, so I'm going to ignore it.

Trouble is, I can't find a way to tell windows update to STOP automatically notifying me that that update is available. I can cancel it but every time I restart I get the update shield back again.

Obviously, that's not a problem, just an annoyance. But is there a way to tell windows update to stop offering me that particular update permanently?

Relevancy 50.31%

I know this isn't the 'Email' section. However, more people watch this section so I'm posting here. I started to experience 'Mail' problems in my new, (Jan.), notebook with Win8. The emails I sent were going into the Outbox folder & remaining there. I figured out how to delete them by turning off the Wi-Fi connection. But then someone in the forum told me about updating my apps. I hadn't physically updated any apps since I bought the notebook. Suffice to say after the 'Mail' app had been updated everything started to work ok plus new features which made it easier to operate. So important to update all your apps!!!!

A:Important to update 'MAIL' app & other apps.

Hello Robin,

Yes indeed. It's important to keep one's Store apps in Windows 8 updated to keep them patched with the latest bug and security fixes. As you discovered, they may even stop working properly if not kept updated.

Apps - Update in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/25482-important-update-mail-app-other-apps.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi Win 8/64 bit ... how necessary is this update? i get notices but choose what i install - thanks in advance"
KB3095108 Updated APN database entry for Transatel (France, Worldwide) network for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/73473-windows-update-kb3095108-important.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Anyone else receive this as an important update and had problems with it as well? I just hid it for now. KB3000850 Thanks!

A:KB3000850 important update failed?

It is known to have problems so I have still not installed it yet.
Some had no problems but others did.
I am going to save an image of my laptop then try, when I have the time.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/66179-kb3000850-important-update-failed.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi, I was looking through my update history and I noticed this:

I no longer get the option to download or install it even when I do a manual check for updates.  How can I go about fixing this?

On the other hand, how important is this really?  I have Avast! as my antivirus, is Windows Defender that critical to keep updated?

Thanks.

---

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.201.1777.0)
Installation date: ‎7/‎14/‎2015 4:19 PM
Installation status: Canceled
Error details: Code 8024000B
Update type: Important
Install this update to revise the definition files that are used to detect viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/overview.mspx
Help and Support:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661

A:Important Update says it was cancelled, how do I download it?

Hi windows8newb Even if avast! is your Antivirus, you can also use Windows Defender to scan your system, so it would be a good idea to keep it's definitions updated. Follow the instructions below please.System File Checker (SFC)Follow the instructions below to run a SFC scan on your system and to provide the CBS log in your next reply;On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as AdministratorOn Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);Enter the command below and press on Enter;sfc /scannowNote: There's a space between "sfc" and "/scannow";Once the scan is complete, enter the command below and press on Entercopy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"A file called cbs.txt will have appeared on your Desktop. Upload the file on Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive and post the download URL for it here;Note: Please note that the CBS.log is volatile, which means that if you don't upload it after the SFC scan is completed, it won't contains the information from the scan anymore. So archive it and upload it as soon as you can.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584857/important-update-says-it-was-cancelled-how-do-i-download-it/
Relevancy 50.31%

When Windows 8.1 pro starts up a message saying Windows Update. Important updates are available Go to PC, it stays very briefly.

Checking Windows updates it says no updates so I checked for updates and it found none, I have Windows update to Install update automatically.

Has any one else had this message or know what the cause is?

Walter

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69587-windows-update-important-updates-available-go-pc.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Good morning,

Several weeks ago I received an update for Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5. Unfortunately when WinPatrol asked permission to accept these new updates, I mistakenly clicked no.

I have looked for ways to undo my mistake: I checked my list of installed updates and found 2 Hotfixes for .Net Framework 3.5, KB953595 and KB958484. Also the Firefox addons window shows a new addition: .Net Framework Assistant 1.0. I have searched for the appropriate updates on the Microsoft Update website, but only became lost and confused.

I believe these .Net Framework updates are important for my computer and should be reinstalled correctly. However, I do not know which updates to uninstall nor the correct .Net update to reinstall.

Will someone please advise?

Thank you,

Vaesther

A:Need to Find and Reinstall An Important Update

Check this out and see if it offers what you meed.
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/netframework.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-find-and-reinstall-an-important-update.799359/
Relevancy 50.31%

This is for you early users of Win 8; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2755801

The vulnerability is 'known to be under active attack' so, if you haven't already got this via automatic update, you need to get it now.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/important-update-for-adobe-flash-in-ie-10.1069972/
Relevancy 50.31%

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB911567)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BC-6FA1-405A-933E-FB422A4E8096&displaylang=en (Download webpage)

Brief Description
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise your Windows-based system using Outlook Express and gain control over it.

This rollup was re-released on Apr 26, 2006

Refer to Security Bulletin MS06-016 here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS06-016.mspx

Refer to Knowledge Base (KB) article KB911567 here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=911567

Note: the original rollup was originally released on Apr 11th, but had problems hence the new rollup was released on Apr 26, 2006.

-- Tom

A:Microsoft Update MS06-016 - Important!

Tom,
I'll stick this for a few days. Do you want it locked?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-016-important.463154/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello Forum,

One of my Windows updates (one of nine) failed earlier, but when I opened up my Update window again to see if I could retry, it doesn't give you the option to do it (first time in five years with this computer it has happened - ALL my updates have been successful). It shows the failed update in the Update History, but does not give you the option to install it again. How can I try to install that update again even though I can't locate the option to do it? Thank you.

A:One Important Windows Update Failed

There is usually a download from Microsoft's website.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/300079-one-important-windows-update-failed.html
Relevancy 50.31%

for a couple of days now i've been trying to install the update for vista (32bit) KB942763. however every time i try to install it, i get the error 80070643. i've gone through the troubleshooting tips, still doesn't work. i've even tried downloading it from the microsoft site and installing it manually, but still nothing. any ideas?

A:important update kb942763 failure

Hi Desmodus

You could:

1) Ignore the failed update for a while & expect a patched update to fix it in a week or so, or -->

2) Try shutting off the Windows Update service, clearning WU temp files, and then restarting the WU service, as in the Microsoft procedure quoted below:

Quote:

To stop the Windows Update service
(You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps).
1. Open Administrative Tools --- by clicking Start, Control Panel, System and Maintenance, and then Administrative Tools.
2. Double-click Services. Administrator permission required. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Stop.

To delete temporary update files
1. Open Computer --- by clicking Start, and then clicking Computer.
2. Double-click the local hard disk where Windows is installed, typically drive C.
3. Double-click the Windows folder, and then double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.
4. Double-click the DataStore folder to open it, and then delete all files and folders in the folder. Administrator permission required. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
5. Click the Back button. In the SoftwareDistribution folder, double-click the Download folder to open it, and then delete all files in the folder. Administrator permission required. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To restart the Windows Update service
(You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps).
1. Open Administrative Tools --- by clicking Start, Control Panel, System and Maintenance, and then Administrative Tools.
2. Double-click Services. Administrator permission required. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
3. Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Start.

3) Peruse the details of the Update, in case you have are using one of the programs that require extra steps for this time-zone update to work properly: --- http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=942763 --- links to direct downloads for the various flavors of the update are also available from that KB article.

4) Use the System Restore feature of Vista to restore your system files to a state prior to the installation of the latest patches, and try again.

If you have success with any of these, post back with your results so that other folks experiencing the same trouble can benefit from your solutions.
Thanks!

Best of luck
. . . Gary

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/important-update-kb942763-failure-202492.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Anyone receive the Important Update KB3035583 and installed it? If so, what
does it do and is it needed? The description seems to indicate that it modify
your system and get it ready for Win10.

I'm concerned that this might be a problem on my Win7 system and also allow
Microsoft to start nagging me about updating to Win10.

Really appreciate any thoughts/experiences you all care to share?

Thanks
gumboman

A:WIN7 Important Update KB3035583?

KB3035583 is a W-10 nag..
I keep it off of my systems.
You will see Microsoft offer it up now and again even if you have it hid.
Just watch for it and if you still don't want it, just hide it again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/392426-win7-important-update-kb3035583.html
Relevancy 50.31%

What about make it possible to when fans are opened one can have undelying have great update question IE. important of I an in a fans too for each fans if one like I find it very usefull if one is trying to study lets say wikipedia where you need to find underlying facts about the fact you are reading about Let me give an example Atom ----- Proton and fan next to it maybe could be neutron and so on lt --under here is the underlying fan of the first top fan Or a fan under a fan under a fan I have an important question of a great update in IE. and so on Would make it much easier if one is searching and reading the undelying things about the top thing you are studying Reason for underlying fans is to make it easier and not confusing when going back and forth in what you read And on the next fan you can have other underlying fans I have an important question of a great update in IE. for the next topic of choosing that also ofc Is it possible to get this update Thx in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/i-have-an-important-question-of-a-great-update-in-ie-274824.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update for me so I attempted to install it However when it was done I was told that the installation failed I restarted the computer and attempted to install it again but it still failed I looked into more detail on what I was installing which was Microsoft NET Framework KB and went to the site it was based on and attempted to install it from there When the setup came up however I recieved this message quot KB v does not apply or is blocked by another condition on your computer quot I'm not entirely sure what this means and since this keeps Windows 7 for Important failing Update is apparently an important update for my laptop I ask if there is a way I can solve the problem also it's Important Update for Windows 7 keeps failing getting irritating to have my laptop keep on reminding me to update something that Important Update for Windows 7 keeps failing fails to update Thank you P S I don't know if this helps but my laptop has Norton

A:Important Update for Windows 7 keeps failing

Norton may be blocking it, especially seeing this "KB2468871v2 does not apply, or is blocked by another condition on your computer."

Read this KB2468871 System Update Install Error&#33; &#40;error 643&#41; - Microsoft Answers

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/208499-important-update-windows-7-keeps-failing.html
Relevancy 50.31%

So far so good setting up new desktop. Should I update the bios? Does Windows 10 automatically update the drivers? 

A:How important is it to update the bios? Does Windo...

I don't know which machine you have, but in general Windows updates drivers and not a BIOS. You should update your BIOS if you are exibiting any of the symptoms that the update addresses.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/How-important-is-it-to-update-the-bios-Does-Windows10/td-p/432962
Relevancy 50.31%

I have two computers in the house on 8.1. I noticed yesterday that on one computer, a certain update was listed as optional, while on the other computer it was listed as important (ftr it was update 3132080). This is not the first time I've noticed that an update is listed differently on the two computers. Anyone know why this is? There really isn't much difference in the setup between the two computers.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/73928-update-optional-one-computer-important-another-why.html
Relevancy 50.31%

My PC has told me that there's an important Windows 7 update to install, but whenever I try, I'm told that the installation has failed.

Attached is the pop up I get with the details of the failure.

Any ideas how I can remedy the error? Thanks.

A:Can't install Important Windows Update

Hi try running sfc /scannow How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-install-important-windows-update-586406.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi there. Please see the attached. I have been unable to instlal this Windows Security Update for some time. My computer always shows that it is available install when I want to shut down my computer, but no such luck.
I don't know why it wont let me. I don't even know if I have Office Power Point.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

A:Cannot Install 'Important' Security Update

I have no idea what may be causing your problem, but you could try getting the update from the Windows Catalog site and see what happens; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323166/en-us

If this works, you will be able to download an .exe file which you just doubleclick on to install. Be sure to read the instructions before using this method.

Alternatively, you could check your Add/Remove list first, just in case the update is already there, or you could run the Secunia Online Inspector, which will confirm whether or not the patch is missing. You will need an up to date version of Sun Java before the Inspector will run; http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-install-important-security-update.753190/
Relevancy 50.31%
Relevancy 50.31%

Yesterday's patch Tuesday Updates offered KB3072305, which is described as an important security update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 (*not* "3.5.1 and above"). Why would this be offered to me when the only version I have listed in Program and Features is 4.5.2? I applied the update, but I am still wondering about this. Thanks.

A:Offered security update for version of .NET Framework I don't have?

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is native to Windows 7.

You have it if you have Windows 7.

Installing Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 does not uninstall Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/378372-offered-security-update-version-net-framework-i-dont-have.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello
I'm running Windows 8.1 Core 64bit, I'm logged in with Local user account, so device encryption is off and there is no way to enable it.

I have set Windows update to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". I usually wait several weeks after windows updates are released before I install them.

First when optional updates were released on September 15th I could see KB3084905 listed in available optional updates list, but 2 weeks later when I decided to install optional updates KB3084905 was no longer offered to install.

Was it pulled by Microsoft because it's not applicable to my system since I'm logged in with local user account or for some other reasons?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

A:KB3084905 is no longer offered by windows update

It's been pulled or another cumulative update has it, it's now where to be found in the Microsoft library.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/71361-kb3084905-no-longer-offered-windows-update.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this A few days ago after trying to see if peerblock and privoxy would work for me I decided they didn t and deleted them At this time I had no connection issues Shortly after deleting them I believe I clicked on a bad link in my browser that brought me to a youtube video and wouldn t let me leave the site I am running Avast antivirus and it tried to block the site warning me about it being update Unable auto any run or update program any to requiring program, a malware site but I was still unable to leave so i did a hard boot on my PC Everything seemed ok until I started noticing some oddities like my currency rate gadget on my sidebar not Unable to auto update any program, or run any program requiring update auto updating and Avast not being able to auto update itself I then decided to run malware bytes and super antispyware and found nothing After that I tried to run RootRepeal but it keeps freezing up and not letting me finish it I kept the error log for that In the past I HAVE run ComboFix successfully and it has fixed problems but I am unable to get it to work at this time and as per your suggestions I will not try it again at this time per your instructions I have also run Hijack this tdsskiller gmer which freezes and doesn t complete OTL MGTOOLS win k diag and MBRcheck If you would like to see any of those logs just let me know Thanks again for your time I am not certain if Unable to auto update any program, or run any program requiring update it is malware at this point or if it is some bizarre internet setting that I cannot fix but not being able to update ANYTHING especially windows is pretty annoying I am considering doing a clean wipe of my C drive and reinstalling Windows so I hope you can help Thanks again Berain

A:Unable to auto update any program, or run any program requiring update

Hello,Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/356035/unable-to-auto-update-any-program-or-run-any-program-requiring-update/
Relevancy 49.88%

My update settings changing only--help? updates important to laptop currently has all the default update setting checked so it installs all changing update settings to important updates only--help? optional recommended and important updates Is it okay to change the setting to install only important updates What are the recommended and optional updates I will not be getting What are the pros and cons of changing this setting I am wanting to do it because I do not want windows I do actually already have the windows update installed in my update list It apparently downloaded in December However my laptop never upgraded to windows I have read that for some people their computers randomly upgraded to windows without them telling it to but for some people that never happens I am hoping I can keep it from happening by changing my update setting to download important updates changing update settings to important updates only--help? only But I only want to do that if it changing update settings to important updates only--help? won't cause any problems I do know I can uninstall and hide the windows update number but in all the research I did nearly everyone who said they did that said the update installed again anyway and there is actually no way to get rid of it Thank you

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/changing-update-settings-to-important-updates-only-help-1091322.html
Relevancy 49.88%

1. I get the message "Windows can't update important files and services while the system is using them. Save any open files and restart the computer. and then try to check the new updates." and I am asked to reboot
2. Update history says Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.139.1946.0) Successful Important Date installed 14/11/2012 (today)
3. After restart: update history still indicates the above installation was successful yet there is also an indication that "most recent check for updates - never, updates were installed - never". Red x message tells me to check for updates again but then loop back to no.1 message.
4. Tried unchecking all services that were not Microsoft and restarted but problem remains.
Any way out of this loop? Thanks.

A:can't update important files and services while the system is using

First of all - reset the services to their normal settings.
then

Open Windows Update
Click on Change Settings
Select 'Never Update...'
Click OK
exit Windows Update
Now open Windows update again
Click on Change Settings
Select 'Update automatically'
Click OK
exit Windows Update
Open Windows Update, and do a manual Check for Updates.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/264496-cant-update-important-files-services-while-system-using.html
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of Update MS06-015 (908531) IMPORTANT! – Microsoft more of the following issues amp Unable to access special Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! folders like quot My Documents quot or quot My Pictures quot amp Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder amp Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office amp Opening a file through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding amp Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! Typing an address into Internet Explorer amp s address bar has no effect amp Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect amp Clicking on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect amp Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the amp My Documents amp folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb Edit Added to say that MS are now saying that older nvidia graphics cards are affected as well and will be updating the link soon with extra advice nbsp

A:Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) Β– IMPORTANT!

Added to say that MS are now saying that older nvidia graphics cards are affected as well and will be updating the link soon with extra advice

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459840/
Relevancy 49.88%

My laptop currently has all the default update setting checked so it installs important changing settings only--help? updates update to all optional recommended and important updates Is it okay to change the setting to install only important updates What are the recommended and optional updates I will not be getting What are the pros and cons of changing this setting I am wanting to do it because I do not want windows I do actually already have the windows update installed in my update list It apparently downloaded in December However my laptop never upgraded to windows I have read that for some people their computers randomly upgraded to windows without them telling it to but for some people that never happens I am hoping I can keep it from happening by changing my update setting to download important updates only But I only want to do that if it won't cause any problems I do know I can uninstall and hide the windows update number but in all the research I did nearly everyone who said they did that said the update changing update settings to important updates only--help? installed again anyway and there is actually no way to get rid of it Thank you

A:changing update settings to important updates only--help?

I don't let it download anything myself, and I uncheck the box for give me recommended updates the same as important, these are my settings,

And with this tutorial I've set it to disable OS upgrades,

Upgrade to Windows 10 Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

Not sure if you have pro version, if you do you can use either method, if you just have the home version then you can only use option one.

I haven't had anything forced on me and I am in control of what gets downloaded, I install them all anyway except for silverlight and skype.

You have to do it manually but at least you know when and what you are installing.

I'm not sure there is setting that you are looking for, only install important updates doesn't seem be an option.

Separating the recommended from important by unchecking that box in the blue outline will give you only important updates in the important section.

As for the W10 update already downloaded, I think there is a way to get rid of it, I can't remember right now I'm sure someone else will come along with more info.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/73821-changing-update-settings-important-updates-only-help.html
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of more of the following issues Unable to access special folders like quot My Documents quot or quot My Pictures quot Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder Office files Microsoft (908531) MS06-015 IMPORTANT! – Update in the quot Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! My Documents quot folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office Opening a file through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding Typing an address into Internet Explorer s address bar has no effect Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect Clicking on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the My Documents folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459850/
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of more of the following issues Unable to access special folders like quot My Documents quot or quot MS06-015 Microsoft Update – IMPORTANT! (908531) My Pictures quot Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder are not Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! able to open in Microsoft Office Opening a file through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding Typing an address into Internet Explorer s address bar has no effect Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect Clicking on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the My Documents folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459852/
Relevancy 49.88%

A while back I downloaded a hotfix recomended by my computer to fix an issue with corel paint. Since then Vista wont allow me to run an important update which sayes it is available but then sayes update failed. The update is Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB959209) x86Download size: 1.4 MBYou may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.Update type: ImportantThis update is applicable to Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2. The Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update provides compatibility roll-up updates for customer reported issues found after the release of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 License Terms.More information: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=133330Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.comAny ideas how to fix it?

A:vista wont download and important update

In order to fix this failed update, we must first clean up your .NET framework installation. Download and run this file. It will remove the .NET framework from your computer so that we can reinstall it later (and solve the non-installing update). My sister's laptop did the same, as well as our home desktop (failed update). But don't worry, it is very easy to fix.After running this cleanup tool, it will ask you to reboot. Please do so.Next, download and install this file. This will reinstall the .NET framework onto your computer.After another reboot, download and install this file. This will update the .NET framework to what it should be (what the automatic update was failing to do).Now, check Windows Update again, and see if anything shows up.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/305316/vista-wont-download-and-important-update/
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of more of the following issues Unable to access special folders like quot My Documents quot or quot My Pictures quot Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office Opening a file through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding Typing an address into Internet Explorer s address bar has no effect Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect Clicking on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the My Documents folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459853/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello all,

The Action Center from Windows 7 has an important message:

Update avast! antivirus (Important)

I updated the avast program, and I updated the definitions, but still the red cross appears in Action Center.

I would like to know if there is a solution to make this message go away.
I do not like to turn off this message, I rather like to make it work properly.

Thanks a lot in advance!

zx81

A:Action Center Avast update important?

Try going thru the action center message it's giving you and updating Avast. Usually will go away after a reboot or 2.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/56020-action-center-avast-update-important.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Windows calls KB3193414 update important, but when I click for more details, it just takes me to a page that's an advertisement to buy Windows 10. [https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows] I don't want Windows 10 because I'm still using media center and one piece of hardware I don't want to buy again.

Does anyone know more about this update? When I check MSE, it says it's up to date.

A:Windows calls KB3193414 update important, but...

Can you take a screenshot of your windows update? That doesn't seem like a valid update number. Haven't seen that one on any of my systems. Google search doesn't bring up anything for me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/401125-windows-calls-kb3193414-update-important-but.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi,

I have a problem with updates that try to install every time PC restart.
They give me everytime error code 80070490 and if I try to press Try again then give me error code 8024AFFF.
I try to solve the problem with Microsoft FixIt, then update was installed succesfully, but after restart they try to install it again (everytime the same update) and give the same error.

I found some solution on the net that not work for me:
1. Windows Update error 80070490
2. Error code 0x80070490 when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates
3. Code Error 80070490 checking for Windows Updates - Microsoft Community

I not use first option becouse I not have original DVD, I have a PC with preinstalled system Windows 7 Home Premium.

Anyone have any ideo how to solve this problem?

A:Windows Important Security Update Error

Since it's 18 hours since you posted this with no response, I'd say it may be because you didn't provide the info that this forum requires. Run the SURT program, the sfc scan, and post the logs that are requested in the instructions found here:
Windows Update Posting Instructions
Hopefully then you get a better response. I'm new here too and just learning the ropes, BTW.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/300059-windows-important-security-update-error.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi I'm new to this site, but am struggling with a windows update.  I have followed others' suggestions, and installed other Windows Updates from the same period one at a time, but this one always fails.  Someone suggested using malwarebytes and then trying again, but that didn't work either.  Anyone else found a solution to this problem?  

A:Windows Important Update KB2800095 will not instal

Maddylondon

What is your operating system, antivirus? What kind of error shows? 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542389/windows-important-update-kb2800095-will-not-instal/
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of more of IMPORTANT! Update – MS06-015 (908531) Microsoft the following issues Unable to access special folders like quot My Documents quot or quot My Pictures quot Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder Office files Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! in the quot My Documents quot folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office Opening a file through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding Typing an address into Internet Explorer s address bar has no effect Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect Clicking on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the My Documents folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459854/
Relevancy 49.88%

ive had my laptop for 2 weeks now and with the dell instruction guide, it told me to update all the drivers, sound,audio etc etc but i never done it...so is it important and is their a way of checking if its auto updated by itself cause with a new machine you would have thought everything would be up to date.

thanks all...

A:How important is it to update vista drivers with a new laptop?

depends what your using your laptop for , if its just general surfing , watching movies etc then i wouldnt bother unless you have any issue's theres no point , just keep on top of windows update

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/232335-how-important-update-vista-drivers-new-laptop.html
Relevancy 49.88%

My HD on my Toshiba Satellite M -S went bad so Windows showing update available No important updates I reinstalled a new one and used the Toshiba System recovery DVDs to restore my laptop back to the factory condition Windows Windows update showing No important updates available Home Premium bit Initially Windows Update showed important updates to which I was able to download and install without any problems But now Windows Update refuses to show any additional important updates IE SP Windows update showing No important updates available etc and states quot No important updates available quot I came across the following thread on Toshiba's forum but the recommendations there did not help either - After Restoring to New Hard Disk No Windows Updat - TOSHIBA FORUMS I tried the following Made sure the Windows install was genuine and activated Installed the Intel Rapid Storage Tech driver dated from toshibas website Installed Hot Fix as recommended on Toshiba's forum Ran the SURT Ran a SFC Scan no errors found I've uploaded a few screenshots as well as the CBS folder I had to split up files in the CBS folder across multiples ZIP files as it exceeded the file size for posting in the forum I'm at a total loss and have no clue on how to update my machine and any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance

A:Windows update showing No important updates available

Please post the C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log file
I can see no problems in either the CBS or CheckSUR logs (haven't looked through the history yet, though)

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/289297-windows-update-showing-no-important-updates-available.html
Relevancy 49.88%

DO NOT let windows update dl and instal drivers for hardware devices such as video cards, sound cards automatically. If it detects an update for a device, go download it from the manufacturers website directly, (nvidea users, nvidea has a nice little auto-detect feature on their site so you cant get the wrong driver). only let windows update dl and install updates for microsoft products only.

A:IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR WINDOWS 7 UPDATE USERS:

No problems here with NVIDIA, Realtek or IDT drivers installing via Windows Updates.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/important-notice-for-windows-7-update-users-566695.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I was doing a clean install and during the updates, I had one, KB2965788, that failed to install and hasn't reappeared for a second attempt.

I'm running Win 7 Pro x64. The error code is WindowsUpdate_80070308.

I'm not sure if this update is required for my system configuration or if there is some issue that needs to be detected and resolved.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards

A:Failed Install KB2965788 - Important Update

My understanding that some system may require this KB and some don't.
My system do not have KB2965788 installed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/383707-failed-install-kb2965788-important-update.html
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security – MS06-015 Update IMPORTANT! (908531) Microsoft update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of more of the following issues Unable to access special folders like quot My Documents quot or quot My Pictures quot Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder are not able to Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! open in Microsoft Office Opening a file through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding Typing an address into Internet Explorer s address bar has no effect Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect Clicking on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the My Documents folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459858/
Relevancy 49.88%

My laptop currently settings update changing only--help? important to updates has all the default update setting checked so it installs all optional recommended and important updates Is it okay to changing update settings to important updates only--help? change the setting to install only important updates What changing update settings to important updates only--help? are the recommended and optional updates I will not be getting What are the pros and cons of changing this setting I am wanting to do it because I do not want windows I do actually already have the windows update installed in my update list It apparently downloaded in December However my laptop never upgraded to windows I have read that for some changing update settings to important updates only--help? people their computers randomly upgraded to windows without them telling it to but for some people that never happens I am hoping I can keep it from happening by changing my update setting to download important updates only But I only want to do that if it won't cause any problems I do know I can uninstall and hide the windows update number but in all the research I did nearly everyone who said they did that said the update installed again anyway and there is actually no way to get rid of it Thank you

A:changing update settings to important updates only--help?

First of all, you don't need to Install Windows optional updates.
Secondly, you should change your Windows Update Setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

After you have changed the Windows Update Setting to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them", Windows Update will search again for available updates.
When the search is complete, look for KB3035583, and hide this update.

The Disadvantage is that you have to manually search for Windows Updates.
But the Advantage is that you have more control of which of the Windows Updates is being Installed on your Laptop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604285/changing-update-settings-to-important-updates-only-help/
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of more of the following issues Unable to access special folders like quot My Documents quot or quot My Pictures quot Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save MS06-015 Update – IMPORTANT! (908531) Microsoft or open Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder Office files in Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! the quot Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! My Documents quot folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office Opening a file through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding Typing an address into Internet Explorer s address bar has no effect Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect Clicking on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the My Documents folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb nbsp

Thanks for the heads up Cookiegal.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459845/
Relevancy 49.88%

I tried the fix from the link that Cookiegal posted but it didn't fix my problem. I did notice that there was another DWORD Value that I didn't remember seeing when I went in to try the fix. Do I delete that one? Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

mcmm

more garbage from uncle bill to fix the previous garbage, to fix the previous garbage..

THAT'S WHY I DON'T DO UPDATES.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459888/
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of more of the following issues Unable to access special folders like quot My Documents quot or quot My Pictures quot Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder Office files in the quot (908531) Update – IMPORTANT! Microsoft MS06-015 My Documents quot folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office Opening a file through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding Typing an address into Internet Explorer s address bar has no effect Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect Clicking Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the My Documents folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459859/
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of more of the MS06-015 Microsoft Update – IMPORTANT! (908531) following issues Unable to access special folders like quot My Documents quot or quot My Pictures quot Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office Opening a Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! file through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding Typing an address into Internet Explorer s address bar has no effect Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect Clicking on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the My Documents folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459855/
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message – Microsoft MS06-015 (908531) IMPORTANT! Update posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of more of the following issues Unable to access special folders like quot My Documents quot or quot My Pictures quot Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office Opening a file Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding Typing an Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! address into Internet Explorer s address bar has no effect Right-clicking on a file and Microsoft Update MS06-015 (908531) – IMPORTANT! selecting Send To has no effect Clicking on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the My Documents folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459851/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi,

On my updates settings page it is stuck on "Install updates automatically (recommended)". The box is faded out and I am unable to click on the drop-down. I'm sure my updates never used to be automatic...Is there a way to change this setting?

A:trouble changing my important update settings

Welcome
First make sure that you are in an administrative account. If you are create a new administrator account yours may be corrupt. If that does not help.

Disable the UAC and boot. Then enable it again, see if things are better. If they are not try the hidden administrator.

User Account Control (UAC)

Administrator Account

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/295482-trouble-changing-my-important-update-settings.html
Relevancy 49.88%

This is copied from a message posted by dvk SYMPTOMS After you install security update MS - http www microsoft com technet security bulletin ms - mspx you may experience one of more of the following issues Unable to access special folders like quot My Documents quot or quot My Pictures quot Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open – MS06-015 (908531) IMPORTANT! Microsoft Update Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder Office files in the quot My Documents quot folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office Opening a file through an application s File Open menu causes the program to stop responding Typing an address into Internet Explorer s address bar has no effect Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect Clicking on the plus sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the My Documents folder Follow the instructions in the following link to fix the problem http support microsoft com default aspx kb nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-update-ms06-015-908531-%C2%96-important.459860/