Windows Support Forum

Group policy error; admin cannot login as admin.

Q: Group policy error; admin cannot login as admin.

Hi from my research I saw this is the best place to ask these types of question Any help is appreciated policy Group admin. cannot admin error; as login Here is the gist of Group policy error; admin cannot login as admin. my issues Windows I had just Group policy error; admin cannot login as admin. finished downloading a file from our Google drive directory it was for some anti virus Right after the anti virus installed Windows froze up and an error popped up It stated Windows had crashed or something along those lines I had to unplug the cord Once rebooting I noticed it was taking incredibly long The screen went to yellow showing signs of loading then to black I could move my mouse here After this happened the login screen appeared Everything was very slow I tried to right click and noticed it freezing up After it finally loaded the login screen I entered in my pin but it took over minutes then went to black After other tries to boot I had very mixed signals Sometimes it made it to the login other times just a black screen On one occasion I got this error The Group Policy Client Service Failed The Sign-in The Universal Unique Identifier UUID Type Is Not Supported Sadly this is for the admin account I have no idea where to go from here and have a lot invested file and program wise and thus time wise into this set up for work Any ideas where to go I cannot access system restore or anything as it won't let me log in Any help is appreciated Edit title shouldn't say admin at the end Meaning I cannot log in to the admin or any other profile

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616132/group-policy-error;-admin-cannot-login-as-admin/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Group policy error; admin cannot login as admin.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 87.73%

Windows x HP SP desktop Avast Free Malwarebytes Spybot S amp whn Policy 1303 Insufficient Privledge & fail Run Group Error Admin as D scan daily all report clean I'm getting constant Error Insufficient Priveledges when trying to install anything at all Error 1303 Insufficient Privledge whn Run as Admin & Group Policy fail even when Error 1303 Insufficient Privledge whn Run as Admin & Group Policy fail Run As Admin I managed to get a couple programs installes by digging into the ProgramData folder and trying multiple attempts and changes to Take Ownership Run As Admin Properties Sharing etc I just dont get it I even disabled Avast thinking it might be blocking something To top it off when I enabled the hidden Admin User acct to try to install with the Admin acct I attemp to sign in as Admin I get quot Group Policy failure unable to login quot then it flips back to my user acct screen I Error 1303 Insufficient Privledge whn Run as Admin & Group Policy fail am unable to change any setting in the HomeGroup sharing either Everything is stuck on Share With Nobody There are multiple fails going on here they're all Share settings based but I just cant change anything

A:Error 1303 Insufficient Privledge whn Run as Admin & Group Policy fail

Nothing, no one has ever seen this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/237467-error-1303-insufficient-privledge-whn-run-admin-group-policy-fail.html
Relevancy 81.84%

Hey all! I work in the IT department and we need some way to stop people from installing programs on their computer. We're running WinXP Pro. and tried to just make them limited user accnts but for some reason they cant get onto our AS400 unless they are an admin. already tried to reinstall client access (the as400 program) on the limited accnt but to no avail. I was looking at group policy but i cant find a way to stop people from installing programs they're not supposed to have and still have (almost) full functionallity of the comp. So if anyone has ANY ideas i'd love to hear them! Thanks in advance!

A:Group policy, admin. question

Well, you had the right idea for that originally. I don't know what the interface is for client access to the AS/400 exactly but is it possible that, in a limited user mode, access to the AS/400 could be run in Administrator mode (w/o giving the users themselves the account password?). You might check with support for your AS/400 or the particular client access interface to see if they acknowledge that it can only be run from XP Pro as an administrator or have some work-arounds prepared.

Off-topic but in my experience, the benefits of having the users operating at anything less than Priveledged User or local Administrator for their machine isn't worth the myriad of headaches caused by crippling them and always in the really urgent and time-critical instances. Prescribe what conduct you expect from them in corporate policy or what-have-you but don't actually lock down their PCs. JMHO.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/22508/group-policy-admin-question/
Relevancy 80.91%

gpd is preventing me from doing most anything with my PC.Accidentally, II activated something as administrator and now I am limited as to what I can do I get windows saying blocked by group policy editor from performing this action. see administrator. I had admin privileges until reboot and now password has been changed,not by me.I am the only one with access to pc.please help me. I cant remember what I did to activate this problem.

A:can group policy be disabled without admin rights?

You don't remember exactly what you did?

Group Policy - Apply to a Specific User or Group

Problem being you have to be administrator.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/181879-can-group-policy-disabled-without-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 110.94%

We have a special image that I am required to have on all PC's at my job and I usually just enable the desktop wallpaper in group policy and point it to the path This has worked for as long as I can remember In windows accounts not wallpaper working Group policy for non-admin group policy editor I set the desktop wallpaper in User Configuration Admin Templates Desktop Desktop Desktop Wallpaper I set it to the local path where the rest of the desktop wallpapers are stored C Windows Web Wallpaper XXXX jpg I did this while logged in as Administrator It shows up under the Administrator account but it does not show under the other accounts on the machine Yet the other changes I set in the policy work under the other accounts The weird thing is as I logoff these other account the picture I set Group policy wallpaper not working for non-admin accounts will flash for a second on the screen then the account logs out I have done this countless times on machines without issue I don't know what is happening I even reloaded the machine just in case and it still is doing it I checked all over the registry where it relates to wallpaper and the correct path to the image is shown I really don't know what is happening The only way I can make the image stay is to log into each account and pick the image manualy which gets time consuming when I am loading a ton of PC's Any ideas I have deleted and recreated the users same deal

A:Group policy wallpaper not working for non-admin accounts

Hello Jack, and welcome to Seven Forums.

It may be some sort of permissions issue with them not having read access to the Wallpaper folder. You might see if having the image in one of the C:\Users\Public folders may work instead.

Desktop Background - Specify and Prevent Change

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/270036-group-policy-wallpaper-not-working-non-admin-accounts.html
Relevancy 108.79%

My site needs IE edge   rendering mode , In my home computer my site is rendered in edge mode, but  in my office network its always rendering in
IE-9 mode, I believe  its due to a group policy setting, is there any way I can check group policy setting for IE rendering mode ? I dont have admin permissions in my office network.  Is that something
a non system admin can see this?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/15245deb-3130-42af-96cb-666879aabd3e/check-if-group-policy-exists-for-rendering-mode-non-system-admin?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 107.5%

Hi Dell Precision T with Base Dual Intel Xeon E GHz FSB x MB Quad Core Memory GB MHz ECC Memory x GB Video Card MB PCIe x nVidia Quadro FX MRGA L Dual Monitor DVI or VGA Graphics Card Hard Drive GB rpm SATA Gb s Hard Drive with NCQ and MB DataBurst Cache Windows x Ultimate upgraded from XP Client issues working Admin / Group links missing Policy / not files / Professional x Edition SP NTFS about a year or so ago Thursday I did a defrag and have no system restore point The same night I updated Boinc BOINC and Oracle Virtualbox was also installed with it The problems started after when I went to log in the next day First sign of a problem was getting Group Client Policy / Admin issues / links not working / files missing a message windows could not connect to the Group Policy Client service This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system As an administrative user you Group Client Policy / Admin issues / links not working / files missing can review the systems event log for details about why the service didn't respond I am the admin but it won't let me view event logs when I go to event viewer the icon is blank like the link is missing and it won't open It is in the system folder though when I look for it but it won't open from there either I can view it in safe mode but I have to open it by going to the Windows system folder Sorry forgot to take a note of what it says I'm running a full virus scan at the moment I did find that topic about restoring fixing group policy in Regedit but it was fine and I didn't have to fix it Malwarebytes found some malware in the Registry and they've been removed I tried to uninstall Oracle Virtualbox but it Group Client Policy / Admin issues / links not working / files missing says I don't have permission to do that and in safe mode it cannot find the uninstaller even though it is there in the folder and I've checked its Registry and it is fine I have ran scf scannow a few times everythings fine Also have tried repair and few times Have ran chkdsk In safe mode if I click on a link shortcut for files it states for example win xyz not found instead of c windows xyz In normal mode it lists the file c windows xyz but states that 'system could not find the environment option that was entered' I'm still googling for solutions but any assistance would be great Below is hijackit result It did say it was denied write access to hosts files if that info is of any use Even though it says below for example lsass exe file missing if I go to c windows system it is there Code Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v CHROME FIREFOX en-GB Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamgui exe C Users Colette AppData Local Akamai netsession win exe C Users Colette AppData Local Akamai netsession win exe C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Creative Cloud ACC Creative Cloud exe C Program Files x Common Files Adobe OOBE PDApp IPC AdobeIPCBroker exe C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Creative Cloud CoreSyncV CoreSync exe C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Creative Cloud HEX Adobe CEF Helper exe C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Creative Cloud HEX Adobe CEF Helper exe C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Creative Cloud HEX Adobe CEF Helper exe C Users Colette AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Colette AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Colette AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Colette AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Colette AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Colette AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Colette AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Colette AppData Local Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Users Colette Documents New folder HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL MSN IE Hotmail Outlook Skype Entertainment Sp... Read more

A:Group Client Policy / Admin issues / links not working / files missing

Virus scan from Microsoft Security Services didn't find anything (not sure if its up to the job though)

Probably best to do a repair install. Microsoft's Management Console started to act up in safe mode, snap-in stopped responding.

Loads of errors in event logs these are some of them.

The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle a notification

Faulting application name: mmc.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc808
Faulting module name: mmc.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc808
Exception code: 0xc0000094

The winlogon notification subscriber <Sens> was unavailable to handle a notification event.

The winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unavailable to handle a notification

Windows Management Instrumentation Service subsystems initialized successfullyevent.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Writer with name WMI Writer and ID {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0} attempted to subscribe in safe mode.

Operation:
Initializing Writer

Context:
Writer Class Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}

The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle a notification event.

The Base Filtering Engine service terminated with the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.

The Windows Firewall service depends on the Base Filtering Engine service which failed to start because of the following error:

The IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules service depends on the Base Filtering Engine service which failed to start because of the following error:

The Microsoft Network Inspection System service depends on the Microsoft Malware Protection Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
discache
MpFilter
spldr
syncdriveminifilter64
VBoxDrv
VBoxUSBMon

The winlogon notification subscriber <GPClient> was unavailable to handle

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CC\Dreamweaver.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_fa396087175ac9ac.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7601.17514_none_41e6975e2bd6f2b2.manifest.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/324583-group-client-policy-admin-issues-links-not-working-files-missing.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Acessing your account. Can the admin use AD or a domain service to over ride the local policy?

A:When setting a local login policy to block a domain admin from accessi

vvcmarttech, sorry but domain admins in the AD can do most anything they want. No hiding from them.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/310138-when-setting-local-login-policy-block-domain-admin-accessi.html
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi
I need to either change a guest log in (kid's access) to
adminstrator, or a way to reveal or change the password
for the Admin profile. Thanks for your help.
I tried this already: Run: cmd net user guest *
I tried to rest the guest password this way but
it didn't work - I'm thinking it is because I am not
logged on as admin in the first place. What do I do now?
Thx
lrr

A:change guest login to admin or figure out admin password

you cant change an admins pw from a guest account....at all

only way to change the admin pw is to boot to safe mode and enter the sys admin account or use a hacking program iso which you can find easily but use at your own risk....

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/change-guest-login-to-admin-or-figure-out-admin-password-314097.html
Relevancy 98.47%

After I login to windows 10 I get a popup notification of an error that says;"Windows couldn't connect to the Group Policy Client service..." It seems to be related to an error in the event logwinlogin error 6003 Any thoughts on what causes this and how to stop it?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Group-policy-error-after-login/td-p/5847497
Relevancy 98.04%

Hello I am having a lot of issues with my work computer and the IT guy here doesnt know what is wrong I am suppossed to have Admin Privileges But I am not able to download programs or delete shortcuts from my desktop For example when I try to go to quot Local Secuirty Policy quot it says quot Access is denied quot quot You do not have permission to perform this operation quot Now everyone in my company people is linked over a shared network I beleive the user accounts are linked too In other words my coworkers can sign on to in am Need I Permission, Admin Admin But Group their account on my computer even though they do not have any local information stored My username that I see when I press the start button is quot PSI Staff quot When I open the quot Local Users and Groups quot window the only users Need Admin Permission, But I am in Admin Group I see are quot Administrator quot quot Guest quot and quot Nadia quot I do not see quot PSI Staff quot So I Need Admin Permission, But I am in Admin Group am assuming that quot Nadia quot is quot PSI Staff quot However when I right click on any document click properties and then click secuirty I see the following image Attached All I want is to have admin rights Any one have any ideas at all

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/385519-need-admin-permission-but-i-am-admin-group.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Hi all,
I received this message when i tried to look at the local group policy setting on one of my machines (Windows XP SP3), which is joined in my domain.
"Failed to open group policy object on this computer. You may not have appropriate rights.
Details:
Unspecified error."
note that I am local admin.
It's all started when I was troublshooting WSUS connectivity and i looked at the WinsdowsUpdate.log, the WSUS server was <Null> & WSUS status server <Null>, I tried to force the domain GP by using GPupdate /force, it went fine and asked to
log off, but nothing changed in the WindowsUpdate.log still <Null>. Then i tried to look at the local policy setting.
I searched the internet nothing related to my case.
Thanks in advance for advising.
Mohammed Adel

A:Group policy error: Failed to open group policy object on this computer.

I guess reinstall windows is the solution, I also found one log "event id 1096", related to "registry.pol" it was corrupted.
Regards,
Mohammed Adel

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/db3a9dae-5d60-4e6b-9d31-a6bd63cf786c/group-policy-error-failed-to-open-group-policy-object-on-this-computer?forum=itproxpsp
Relevancy 93.31%

DC: Win Server 2003
Laptops: Win7 Pro

When joining a set of laptops to the domain it prompts for domain admin credentials and appears to be successful, but gives an error of 'Changing the Primary Domain DNS name of this computer to " " failed. The name will remain domain.local
The error was:

The RPC Server is unavailable.

When attempting to add Domain Users to the local administrators group:
Windows cannot process the object with the name "domain users" because of the following error:
The RPC server is unavailable.
This happens even when wired on the network. I have tried uncommenting the localhost line in HOSTS, and manually adding the DNS server (which is also the DC).

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

A:RPC error adding domain users to local admin group

Have you checked the RPC service on the server? Manually stop and restart it as well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/451145/rpc-error-adding-domain-users-to-local-admin-group/
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi We upgraded our desktops from Windows XP to Windows Admin Local Admin Group Rights local without Assign with Windows XP we used the resource kit s CDROMLOCK EXE to lock down CD and DVD Once installed a user had to be in the local administrators group to access a CD or DVD on that desktop For Windows it is not Windows compatible so I run the EXE in Vista SP- Compatibility mode which works perfect My question With a user in the local admin group they have access to the CD and DVD but also have full access to the desktop which is of concern Does anyone know how to assign a user name Either local Desktop or a Server domain account to a Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group service or Exe Is there a way to either create a folder with full rights and then put the exe in the folder giving the user full admin rights to the folder or assign full admin rights to s single EXE file I am just not sure how Windows controls local admin rights other than the local Admin Group If Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group this is in the wrong group please move Thanks B nbsp

A:Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group

You should be able to right-click on the exe file, then choose properties. On the "Compatibility" tab, there should be a checkbox for "Run as administrator", which you can check (enable) and save settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/assign-local-admin-rights-without-local-admin-group.1123053/
Relevancy 91.16%

how do I add these permissions to my account? I'm trying to change "How a Service is Started" and it won't let me without one of these persmissions. thx

A:Account Operators group, the Domain Admins group, the Enterprise Admin

Quote: Originally Posted by bellaneph

how do I add these permissions to my account? I'm trying to change "How a Service is Started" and it won't let me without one of these persmissions. thx

Is your account a standard user, or a member of the admin group? You can check cpanel>users>your user. Does it say admin?
Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/89913-account-operators-group-domain-admins-group-enterprise-admin.html
Relevancy 91.16%

Hi Yet again Windows is frustratingly taking up all of my time and I have tried everything google has to offer to try and fix it but it seems like no one has screwed up as much reset admin | | can't admin | Lost 5 No password error rights System as I have on whatever forum Let me explain the problem I'm trying to set my account to administrator because I can't install programs change account settings make any changes through CMD without getting the system error access denied message and I can't set the administrator account through CMD either I also don't have the permission to change anything in regedit and I can't even reset my pc because it requires an administrator password System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset which I don't have is not quot nothing quot nor is it administrator or admin or password and I can't change it through cmd either I can't even access the administrator account because it is disabled and even with an elevated System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset cmd I can't activate the quot hidden quot administrator account System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset I've ran malwarebytes and superantispyware and I am now looking for the Gandalf of all Geeks to help me solve this problem I'd immensely appreciate it

A:System error 5 | No admin rights | Lost admin password | can't reset

Hi. When a computer is first setup, the account created is an administrative one. What happened to this account?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/37732-system-error-5-no-admin-rights-lost-admin-password-cant-reset.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi my nephew brought me his laptop that no longer allows him to login to it. Every time we tried to login in to the admin it says "the Group Policy Client service failed the logon" and its the only account on it. Since its a hp mini I don't know how to restore windows with my disc. I couldn't think of any way to solve this problem. It also displays " HP quick web files missing or corrupt. Please reinstall HP Quick Web from Primary operating system.

Any help will be much appreciated

A:HP mini 210 Login Admin Error

Down near the bottom of this page is a link to download and install HP QuickWeb
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02043846

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-mini-210-login-admin-error.1152376/
Relevancy 89.01%

ok thanks for welcoming me to TSG i read the posts etc for hlp and they are great however my problem is not covered by the search button its my friends pc and spec is athlon xp gig hd mb ram this admin error xp login account one restriction -tough xp home login accounts set as admin level ok ill be as through as i can with what has gone wrong and what i have done at each stage to correct it i dont want to reinstall cos its my xp login error admin account restriction -tough one this friends business pc with loads of data on and yes he does not have a backup cos he dont do them he will know though he installed corel draw bad news i know - old bit app for win and then rebooted he couldnt log in on his user as he got an error about quot INVALID ACCESS TO MEMORY LOCATION quot none of the other logins worked as they suddenuyl had passwords on them ok i took it off him and tried the login safe mode admin didnt work as it had suddenly got a password on it i also got some memory ref xc bb and same error message obtained the password crack cd boot image from website not allowed- boot disk site suggested by a mod on another forum post and did a reboot lots of the accounts where locked so i sorted that and reset all the passwords to blank rebooted and got an error on bootup so had to switch to using a floppy disc with an xp bootup on it created usuing a program from a guy off the net called gilles villiant ok got to the login screen and tried the users but this time just got an error about typing the password in correctly did the old ctrl alt del to get the admin box up and put in administrator got back an error saying quot UNABLE TO LOG YOU ON DUE TO AN ACCOUNT RESTRICTION quot ok safe mode with command prompt doesnt work so i cant run a system restore neither does ctrl shift esc to get task manager on the normal login screen winxp recover console does not work because it wants an admin password now it doesnt like the blank one i also got at one point a random error saying a file was corrupt and i must run chkdsk cant do thi either at the min if i could get into the console or into safe mode i could run restore etc ect or even using the command prompt CAN anyone please help me out on this one im almost bald with frustration thnak you in advance if this post gets fixed ill flag it as sorted nbsp

Relevancy 86.86%

Hi,
I have been looking for this answer for 2 days and can not find anyone who has had similair problem.

THere are 2 accounts Administrator and Kenmystro/administrator. I have the password for both and can access both. win 7 Ultimate Hp8510.
I have already selected all user permissions and taken ownership in every box I could find for Kenmystro/admin. the UAC is at minimum and the security centre is off. Run as admin on right click does not help.
It does not matter which of the 2 accounts I log into when I try install certain HP software(Maintenance
& some drivers) it says I do not have admin privileges.

This is driving me nuts can anyone help??

Relevancy 86.86%

I hope someone can help me Just this morning i booted up as normal and the always annoying UAC stopped when account admin admin Admin checked! is even being notifications kept Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! popping up I was sure i had disabled these Then i went to use my music software and it said that this account Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! didn't have admin privileges I checked my user account and the check box states that is is an admin account and that UAC is turnd off i only have one account anyways Ive looked on google extensively Tried making new profiles and copy the old one over but that only worked to a certain point - lots of programs didn't work lost mail settings etc Not really workable Tried system restore to no avail Tried using the vista admin account and changing my account - rebooting - etc No change My guess is that something has got Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked! corrupt in my user profile and windows is not remembering that i should be an admin I can't use my software and i have a deadline Any one who can help will win a magical prize or something Jen

A:Admin account stopped being admin even when admin is checked!

Welcome
Should be easy, create a New Administrator account and give it permissions to use the software.
User Account - Create
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rs-groups.html
Procedure for Seven is the Same as For Vista.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/294399-admin-account-stopped-being-admin-even-when-admin-checked.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Right I have been driven mad by an odd problem with logging into Windows After a clean build following a major upgrade it now shows the quot Welcome quot page for around seconds before loading the desktop after entering my password users for Slow login Desktop Window Manager error - Admin Interestingly this only happens to accounts with admin privileges - if I set myself as a normal user login is instant also the delay happens after making a new quot admin quot account - again the delay goes away after this test account is set as a normal user After disabling everything but the basic services it still occurs I have also updated all my drivers The only difference in the logs between admin and user accounts is the occurrence of an error from Desktop window manager - you can also see the delay in the login process Googling the error doesn't shed much light Information ESENT General Information Slow login for Admin users - Desktop Window Manager error Winlogon None Information Winlogon None Information Winlogon None Information Desktop Window Manager None Information Winlogon None Information Winlogon None The full error is quot The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code x quot logs http dl dropbox com u bryanlogon txt - admin account http dl dropbox com u peterlogon txt - normal account for comparison Any help would be appreciated as it's frustrating that after a major upgrade I'm worse off when it comes to logging in Performance apart from this issue is fine no issues with aero etc

A:Slow login for Admin users - Desktop Window Manager error

Same here. Regular users logon in 5 seconds. Admin account type users take about 2 minutes ! Wish I knew what was up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194745-slow-login-admin-users-desktop-window-manager-error.html
Relevancy 83.85%

today 5 optional updates and 1 important update installed and on restarting i got a screen saying group policy prevents you logging in OK button was there.
by the time i got my mobile to get a photograph of the message it went back to screen saver . again i tried to login it went alright . what could have prevented from logging in?
following updates installed today . while restarting it got stuck at 67% updating for 25 minutes and then it went to login. it can come back to haunt me to prevent login to my windows 8. need some help to find what went wrong

A:Group policy prevents you login after update

Hi roodap :)

This error should be logged in the Event Viewer, under Windows logs, Applications. You can find the Event Viewer by right-clicking on Computer and selecting Manage. From there, look for an error that is related to NETLOGON or Group Policy Object.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/group-policy-prevents-you-login-after-update-1008626.html
Relevancy 83.85%

hi,
will there be any security risks if i add "NT authenticated users" group into the local admin group of all the workstations in my windows 2000 domain ?

pls advice, thanks.

A:win2k admin group

Sure, everyone with a logon to the domain will be an admin. They'll all have full control. What is the purpose of everyone as admin? Can you do it with superuser, if not, perhaps you could create a new group, if the default ones don't do what you need.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-admin-group.141652/
Relevancy 83.42%

Hello,

My company went out of business, and gave me a laptop (HP 8440W) running Win 7 Professional 64 bit SP1. So the domain no longer exists obviously. Windows 7 hasn't updated in over 18 months because of that. SP1 is the last major update.

How do I bypass or update this? Can I disable the group policy somehow on the laptop to allow for automatic updating?

Or, should do I create a new login perhaps, and move all my files from the old domain login to this new login?

Thanks!

A:Can't update due to old netword admin policy

The installed Key is a probably KMS Volume License Key - which is not available to the general public.
It requires re-activation at least every 180 days at a private server owned by the License-holder.

For which version and edition of Windows is the machine licensed, according to the COA sticker on the case?

You should probably reformat and reinstall using genuine media, whatever the result we can achieve here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/332473-cant-update-due-old-netword-admin-policy.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I am trying to download Adobe Digital Editions and I keep receiving the error message

Unable to elevate to administrative rights, error 786

I am the admin! I have turned off the password, I have right clicked on the program and chosen 'run as admin'-then nothing happens.
Any help would be appreciated

A:"Unable to elevate to admin rights" error, when admin user

Try this:

Quote:
SOLUTION: download the setup.exe for ADE, not using the flash install version.

Before you run it, right click on it and check "run as administrator" under the compatability tab. Also under the general tab I clicked on "unblock," which might have made a difference.

From a similar issue: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/953278?tstart=0

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/359020-unable-elevate-admin-rights-error-when-admin-user.html
Relevancy 82.99%

My computer won't let me sign in. It makes it to the logon screen, type in my password, and it tells me "Group Policy Client Server failed the login", then restarts.

A:group policy client service failed the login

Same problem after installing Norton 360 with a tech. Go to safe mode, create another user, take admin privileges from your old account and add to the new one. I called my GroupPolicyClient. You can then get in, but you can't access things like email. At least I can get to my files, since I write documents for a living.

A work around, but does not fix the problem.

Anyone have a simple answer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/group-policy-client-service-failed-the-login-284429.html
Relevancy 82.99%

One of my relatives recently got a computer with vista on it. Recently we changed the account to an admistrator. Since then, everytime we try to login, we get an error:
The Group Policy Client server failed the login.
after clicking <OK>
it logs off, bringing you back to the user accounts.

because its the only account, we cant get past this point.
anyone have any advice?

Safe mode does not work, as far as i know...
what should i do?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/the-group-policy-client-server-failed-the-login-178088.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi, I have 2 XP machines using SP2, what I am trying to do is use the remote user function of perfect disk 7.0 so that I can defrag my other computer from my main computer. The computers are networked correctly, sharing works and the like. But when I try to access perfect disk on computer 2 it tells me I do not have permission to access the program, and that I need to be a member of the admin group. Could someone please explaine to me what I need to do to add computer 1 to the admin group of computer 2, or give me a link to a web page that will explaine it. Thank you

If this post is not in the right place, could a admin move it for me...thanks

A:Add remote user to admin group

Double Post. Please refrain from doing this.
http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=429876

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/add-remote-user-to-admin-group.429847/
Relevancy 82.56%

I need help.

im trying to delete 2 files, when i try to send it to the recycle bin it says

'' You need to confirm this operation'' then i press continue then UAC comes up i click continue again. It starts deleting then it says

''Destination Folder access Denied''
'' You need permission to perform this action''

i click try again

same thing..

i'm an Administrator on my computer, but it still wont delete

please help me!

A:Help! Cant delete a file when im in an admin group!!

That message usually refers to the "FROM" file. Can you delete other files and send them to recycle?

What are the full paths and filenames you want deleted?

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-cant-delete-a-file-when-im-in-an-admin-group-313426.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi guys I ve a question regarding local admin group management Suppose a user is responsible for managing some application installed on a server The user doesn t normally need to change server configuration like IP address time settings and so i e privileges For Microsoft applications like SharePoint or for servers like IIS I can use the preconfigured groups But suppose we local group management admin re talking about some third party application and I can t know for sure what kind of access the user need Maybe the user need to install something and thus require modify permission to some files also the installation may local admin group management need to change some registry values and configure services For example one of the application owners in my organization needs to connect some constructor to perform some maintenance on a server Of course I can limit his access but what if he need perform installation of software or change some registry In any case the application owner will local admin group management have to find some system administrator to connect him with the needed level of access So as we can see I need to find a way to combine permissions and privileges My question is what is the correct approach in this situation Are there any best practices or guide lines for this issue I ve searched many forums but wasn t able find some clear approach and best practices Is it acceptable to give application owner or developers local admin permissions Maybe it s the way to go and I m wasting my time here What is the common way to deal with this situation Is it acceptable to give a user local admin rights or should an IT person connect the user with elevated permissions when required Any information or reference to information in this matter will be really appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:local admin group management

A developer would only have admni rights to a test server in a test network where he can try out his application. Then when the application is ready, he writes the procedures down and hand it over to the IT admin who handle all administration of the application on the live serer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-admin-group-management.1060515/
Relevancy 82.56%

We have a testing room with computers in it for people group BSOD a admin Solved: on to take on The computer auto logs on to a testing profile which is on the admin group on a domain This computer was getting a F BSOD on log on The computer would not blue Solved: BSOD on a admin group screen in safemode with networking I disabled all start up service and non-microsoft services and still got the BSOD I deleted the group and added it again and still getting BSOD I reloaded windows twice and still the same results I disabled the auto-logon and logged into my workstation account and there was no bluescreen No other computers in the room have this issue with the same software on them I went to the testing room and pulled a different computer out of the room and brought it back to my area I put the hard drive from the good computer and put it in the BSOD system and it booted fine in the testing account I put the BSOD hard drive in the new system and the BSOD stil happened on the good system Only thing I can say is somehow the hard drive is causing this It is going to be hell to convince DELL to replace the hard drive Anyone else have this issue nbsp

A:Solved: BSOD on a admin group

Ok the problem was the administrator took the machine out of the proper OU to test something and didn't put it back in its proper OU. I chatted with him and once he returned it, I updated the group policy and it works again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-bsod-on-a-admin-group.1051289/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi,
I was playing around with local group policy with smart card settings, and I checked "Force smart card login". I never set up smart card certificates to be used, and don't have any smart cards for it to work with. I need to login to the computer, but when I try, it says "You must insert a smart card to login". I am using the local administrator account, and tried a few ways to bypass it including;
safe mode
disabling smart card in BIOS
remote desktop

When I go home, I will try using ERD commander, and windows recovery console to stop the smart card service. BTW I am using TinyXP rev.05

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bypass-smart-card-login-local-group-policy.517054/
Relevancy 82.13%

I work in a primary school and our new Windows machines have an issue where users everyone has roaming profiles that are logging onto the machine for the first time won't end up with the correct 'group policy applied' proxy settings The group policy registry preferences proxy settings I want the different groups of users to have are being applied verified using process monitor but I can then see something else still in the same svchost process is then taking the ones configured for the local system account in proxy during Group applied and login settings being first policy overwritten then HKEY USERS Default and overwriting them Different user groups use different proxy ports for filtering Group policy proxy settings being applied and then overwritten during first login reasons so it's crucial the right groups of users get the right settings Whatever is overwriting them when the user has no cached roaming profile on the machine does not do it again if they log off and then on again The problem being users don't have a set machine and the cached roaming profiles are removed when the machine shuts down using an updated version of delprof so when the machine boots up again it's like the users are all logging on for the first time - except they have roaming profiles so they aren't really Having spent far too long looking into the issue I'm as positive as I can be that it's nothing I'm doing and we do not have any issue with the same settings policies being applied on our Windows or old XP machines Group policy configures the user's proxy settings and nothing else touches them So what is it in Windows up-to-date with Windows Updates that's overwriting the user's proxy settings with those from 'hkey users default software Microsoft windows currentversion internet settings ' after gp has finished being applied A mere seconds later according to my last process monitor capture logs

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bf3600bc-f9cd-4a56-9a63-dafd930e8e6b/group-policy-proxy-settings-being-applied-and-then-overwritten-during-first-login?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 82.13%

System Windows Home Premium bit SP ASUS laptop K F This evening I installed the following Windows updates KB KB Then when I logged in to an Administrator account the login was very slow and I saw the message Wait for group policy client So I rebooted and again logged into an Administrator account The message still appeared and the login was very slow I do not remember ever seeing group 7 Windows login client" was for slow "wait - policy this message prior to the above updates So I tried two experiments Experiment Disconnected from the Internet rebooted amp logged in to an Administrator account The message no longer appeared I tried this times - no message Experiment Connected to the Internet rebooted amp Windows 7 login was slow - "wait for group policy client" logged in to an Administrator account The message no longer appeared I tried this times - no message HUH Why did the message disappear Why Windows 7 login was slow - "wait for group policy client" did it even appear in the first place Please tell me Explain the above if you can Purpose of the group policy client If the only computer I have is this laptop is the group policy client service needed Can this service be shut off Thank you

A:Windows 7 login was slow - "wait for group policy client"

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.
 Checkmark the following checkboxes:  List last 10 Event Viewer log  List Installed Programs  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
 Click Go and paste the content into your next post.
 Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post. 
Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591684/windows-7-login-was-slow-wait-for-group-policy-client/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi all We have unfortunately just ended up a domain admin in etc. accounts Local group with our first Vista machine here at work and mins into my setup Ive Local admin group accounts in a domain etc. already run into a question Dell Vista Business joined into our domain Having googled around a bunch I understand that the local admin account is disabled upon install I found a tip that recommended running cmd as admin and net user administrator password net user administrator activate yes I performed this got command Local admin group accounts in a domain etc. successful returned from both but when I try to login as lt compname gt Administrator the login or Local admin group accounts in a domain etc. try to use the same to perform any tasks on the system I get denied and am told bad user or pw I ran user setup as domain admin and confirmed that my local user account is part of the administrator group found that the local Administrator account was still set as disabled so I cleared the disabled checkbox Im too paranoid to use quot Set password quot however in case my prior password did somehow work it doesnt appear to have and by then Setting Password I d be screwing my admin account of its encrypted files do I even have any if the accounts never been logged into Yknow what started all this Trying to delete Adobe Speed Launcher and Dell Network Manager from the Startup in the start menu cause god forbid I do that without being a bloody domain admin Suggestions as to why my local user account lets call it bob can t do any admin functions though Im part of Adminstrators group locally What have I done wrong as far as setting up Local Admin Can I indeed Set Password safely on local admin thanks Brett nbsp

A:Local admin group accounts in a domain etc.

Why fight the system? Use an account other than the "Administrator" account. It would appear Vista just isn't designed for that to be a user account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-admin-group-accounts-in-a-domain-etc.651460/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi
I have a stand alone computer in a work group,
I am looking for some windows script that will let me to
add a non-admin user(Standard User) to admin group from within Standard User
logon session.

Any help will be greately appriciated

Thanks
Sai

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-standard-user-to-admin-group.338221/
Relevancy 81.7%

My brother lives in Australia and he has a work computer. They must have him as a regular user with out admin permission. He is trying to download skype, msn IM without any luck. It says he must be part of the admin group, access denied. Is there anyway to change the permissions to download these programs and then change back once done. I don't want to get him in trouble, but It sucks that we can't talk on skype. Any ideas.

Relevancy 81.7%

Okay we have a problem I am trying to automate The issue is our users are NOT Administrators on their machines Wooohooo you say Well I do too in most instances In all this is a plus but it does not help us when we have to remote desktop into these machines and then do something as the particular user Here is what I have envisoned so far - echo off SET P comp Type Computer Name IP Here SET P user Type User Name Name add user to local admins group mstsc exe v comp f pause remote user from local admins group Verify Admins group settings The problem with this script is I am not sure what command line functions would local to Admin User Add group temporarily. be used to display out a remote computers local group Also I don t know of a Add User to local Admin group temporarily. command that will remotely add a domain user to a remote machines local group as well as remove them Really all items with the in front I am a little unsure of Basically I am trying to automate a process of - Having the user log off - opening the MMC connecting to another computer adding in the user opening remote desktop doing the work and then removing the user from the group and then doublechecking to make sure the user is gone this last part is imperitive as we have had some machines with the local users left in the admins group and we want to avoid it I was thinking a net command may work like net group or net users but nothing I have come across in the way of switches are setup for remote connection Any thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

Hello I'm running win xp pro with service pack I but change properties... group I'm - gpedit.msc admin can't in certain and I'm an Administrator on the machine i e part of Administrators group One issue that I'm having is that whenever I boot up the machine - it doesn't keep the name of the last logged in user i e me I've googled around and found that this setting can gpedit.msc - I'm in admin group but I can't change certain properties... be accessed via gpedit msc Computer configuration - gt Windows Settings - gt Local Policies - gt Security Options - gt quot Interactive logon Do not display last user name quot which is set to quot Enabled quot When I try to change the above property - I get a grayed out window which doesn't allow me to change it What I'm wondering is how do I enable the ability to change this property within gpedit msc Now one natural question is whether I'm quot really quot an admin on the system I've checked and re-checked that I'm part of Administrators group I also can change things like the Autoplay option via gpedit msc without a problem Computer Configuration - gt Administrative Templates - gt System - gt quot Turn off Autoplay quot property So my question is - how do I enable complete property edit throughout gpedit msc is there some registry setting or something else I've looked around google and the hits gpedit.msc - I'm in admin group but I can't change certain properties... I've gotten were about how to use gpedit msc to change properties but not how to deal with this kind of restriction Any info and help would be greatly appreciated El

A:gpedit.msc - I'm in admin group but I can't change certain properties...

The only thing I can think is that someone enabled this policy directly through Regedit, and this is causing gpedit not to recognize/allow policy change. You may want to look up on Google the specific key/value required by this policy and change it via regedit.

BMR777

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/gpedit-msc-im-in-admin-group-but-i-cant-change-certain-properties-61608.html
Relevancy 81.7%

I've been given an old work PC (Windows 7 Pro) and I'm trying to remove the password for my user account. My account has admin status and as I understand it I need to disable the "Password must meet complexity requirements" under password policy but I don't have access. Here's what I see: http://i.imgur.com/ZwR5Be8.png

Does anyone know a way around this? I tried to log in on the Administrator account as well but it made no difference... Thanks!

A:Unable to change the Account Password Policy as an admin.

Hello and welcome furtwangler I have been using some old education department machines and sometimes you can find this info out in the BIOS - have you had a look it there.

I found that the machines I worked on were set up in a very convoluted manner too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/276805-unable-change-account-password-policy-admin.html
Relevancy 80.84%

We have a terminal emulation program called E-term 32 that only works properly if the user is a member of the administrator's group, which is something we don't want obviously. The message we get is this..

Warning: The file default.cnf is not a writable file. Information will not be saved to this file.

Then we get the exact same message four more times except "default.cnf" is replaced with default.dsk, toolbar.ini, mouse.ini, keymap.ini.

Than after that we get...

Failed to update the system registry. Please try using Regedit.

I was thinking you could us the "run as" feature so that it would automatically run as the admin everytime, but it appears the run as feature is used as a one time thing and you can't set it up permanently.

Any ideas how we can get this program to run without the user being part of admin group?

A:Program only works if logged in as part of admin group

we have a similar program and we can't find a way around it. Maybe you could edit the security on each file it complains about, naming domain users as having FULL control over the file?

alternately, maybe power user status would be sufficient?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/program-only-works-if-logged-in-as-part-of-admin-group-105279.html
Relevancy 80.84%

hi,

I work in a school with a CC3 (RM) network basically modified windows xp and 2000, i have joined a standard windows xp machine to the domain and added a user on the domain local admins group, however when this user logs in they can see the c drive and access other usually restricted parts of windows what they can not do is change the screen resolutions or right click on the task bar.

what would cause this to happen? my understanding is that once the user is in the local admin group they should have full access to everything on that laptop and rm will not supplt support because they do not support standard windows.

there is no way to block this kind of use from active directory is there ??

Relevancy 80.84%

okay freshly into win now having obtained a new hdd for my comp I have been running as the admin of my computer since accounts became an unavoidable thing barring the occasional frustration-induced blunder I tend to stay Properly Paranoid in my habits to make sure I have no problems but win doesn't think that I could ever be intelligent enough to have full rights on any account other than the built-in admin account which of course I'd want to avoid using outside emergencies that render other accounts damaged somehow so I'm looking to find out how to make another user account with FULL admin rights not just the constantly have to get permission stuff that a standard snort admin account has full rights that don't involve constantly having to run as administrator yes yes I've heard people trying to get me more paranoid so that I'd endure the added hassles all it does is make me more irate with the situation so if noone's willing to provide me with instruction on this it's probably best for the thread to be left to fall off the board

A:of win7, admin rights, admin accounts, and real admin accounts

I don't know what your problem is. To make another administrator account - Start - Control panel - User Account - 
Manage another account - Create a new account - Give it a name - put a check mark for Administrator - 
click - Create Account. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517811/of-win7-admin-rights-admin-accounts-and-real-admin-accounts/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi Guys, I wonder if you can help out.

I'm trying to add a network admin security group to my local Admins group on some computers I'm prepping. Currently this means logging in with the local admin, opening computer management, adding the group, then putting in my network admin credentials.

What I'm trying to do is script it. Here is the script I have so far, which obviously doesn't work.

net localgroup Administrators /ADD domain\SG_AD_Admins
net localgroup "Power Users" /ADD "domain\domain users"
It keeps throwing me an Access is denied error when I run it as either local admin or network admin, which makes sense since I need the local account to get into computer management but then network admin to actually add the security group.

I was also messing around with the runas command, but so far I'm pretty stumped. Any help would be appreciated!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-network-admins-to-the-local-admin-group-automatically.1108606/
Relevancy 79.98%

Greetings everyone I have a problem with a W KPro machine wherein the Computer Management Utility has a red quot bang quot over the quot Local User and Group quot administration utility There s nothing specific in the error message when I Admin Group Util Functional Not Local Win2K and User click on it it just says there s a DLL it can t find The question is does anyone know what the DLL file is called I want to try and use the W K repair utility from the CD but can t until I know what file to replace I need to have the user account added to the Administrator group so I can let the user install some software but I can t get into the utility to do so As background the user picked up some trojans somewhere along the way Another member of our Win2K Local User and Group Admin Util Not Functional IT group was trying to clean it from his system but he inadvertently deleted NTLDR and Win2K Local User and Group Admin Util Not Functional I suspect some other vital Windows files I don t know that for sure but I think that s where the problem came in and now I can t seem to find any reference to that DLL on the Net anywhere Please help if you can and thanks for your patience and assistance Regards DarcKnyt nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2k-local-user-and-group-admin-util-not-functional.284583/
Relevancy 79.98%

In my corporate pc I have the admin password and the admin account, but i have to work with my user id, I have changed it to the administrators group, but i can't see the full control panel.
Help please!

A:Admin group account can't access full control panel

Open Control panel then Rest your curser on the right facing black arrow head next to the words Control Panel in address bar and you will see a choice of views.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/268470-admin-group-account-cant-access-full-control-panel.html
Relevancy 79.98%

So today, the error came up when logging into the admin account. I only have access to Guest account at the moment. Booting up Safe Mode doesn't really help either. So anyone have a solution to this complicated problem..?

A:Admin account error "User Login Service Failed"

See here, see if this helps: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/374392-admin-account-error-user-login-service-failed.html
Relevancy 79.98%

I'm using Windows 7 Pro. I have remove the login pw in my user account now I do not need to do the login and able to use the computer right away. But I found I am using the computer as a user not administrator. How can I skip the login screen and go straight into desktop as administrator. How can I do that? thanks

A:Windows 7 Pro login as admin but no need to have login screen

Hello Smash, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I'm a bit confused with your conflicting statements.

You say that "...now I do not need to do the login and able to use the computer right away.", but then ask "How can I skip the login screen and go straight into desktop..."?

Just to be certain, do you have to log on or not?Log On Automatically at Startup
Are you asking how to log on to the built-in Administrator account to have full access and control?

Hope this may help for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/224172-windows-7-pro-login-admin-but-no-need-have-login-screen.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I've tried installing the gpedit for Windows 7 Home Premium it doesn't do nothing.
When I try to open a file like uTorrent I get this error message Gyazo - e3c92d6e83d4e34117a05c1fb492ac75.png I am a admin.
I am thinking of installing a different version of Windows.

A:Blocked by group plolicy on admin account. (Windows 7 Home Premium)

Hello Assassin, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You're wasting your time trying to install Group Policy to an edition of Windows that doesn't have it included by default. Doing so usually does not work, or comes with side effects that could make the system unstable.

If you want Group Policy, then you should have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate installed instead.

Local Group Policy Editor - Open

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/326190-blocked-group-plolicy-admin-account-windows-7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello All I'm delighted No to accounts change /Cannot Admin admin user account existing Access to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account came with Windows On setup i used my No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account microsoft account to login with a pin the account was setup as administrator No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account thinking i could change things later About days later i added a standard user account for my husband with a microsoft account login with pin I wanted to make his the administrator account but thought i had better change mine to a standard account first My mistake Now i cannot change anything i have tried to use the cmd prompt to run as administrator - it asks for administrator permission and does not allow me to enter a password or yes I have tried all suggestions to enable the hidden windows account but all ask for the same permission I have tried to go to setup recovery troubleshoot advanced option system restore - it requests an administrator password and when i entered what i thought is mine it does not work Feeling a little Does anybody know anyway i can go back in time to start again or how do i access administrator rights as i really need to add programs etc Thank you for any help given

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61945-no-admin-access-cannot-change-existing-user-accounts-admin-account.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi everyone Here is my latest Vista woe s Dell Inspiron gbRAM gb HDD Core duo T GHz Vista Home Prem - auto update AvastHome Windows Defender AVGAntispyware RUBotted Threatfire Some background I have profiles on the machine Admin which is my original Admin account I've used it to install apps etc Basic which is my everyday non-admin profile that I use for just about everything New Admin files Admin can't App Admin - Permissions Problems / Install UAC, Public / access which is a new admin account I created for trouble shooting but it has the same problems that the original one has There are basic issues I'll use one particular instance as an example but it's not the only instance AND it's an intermittent issue - sometimes problem happens sometimes it doesn't Ten minutes after this instance I downloaded and installed an app and it ran fine In my Basic profile I downloaded Skype and saved the file to my Public Downloads folder I right-clicked quot run as administrator quot Problems - Admin Permissions / App Install / UAC, Admin can't access Public files to try and install Problems - Admin Permissions / App Install / UAC, Admin can't access Public files and got this error Windows cannot access the specified device path or file You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item I tried just clicking it to run it without quot run as administrator quot and got the same error I did some searching on the error and found some postings elsewhere but most were very old and in WinXP instead of Vista but I tried investigating the things mentioned in those posts - I ran the AVG scan and removal tool for the Gaelicum A virus - it didn't find anything - I checked the properties of the file and it did not say anything about coming from another computer and needing to be unblocked - I logged out of my Basic profile and logged into my Admin profile and all the same problems happened - I logged into my New Admin profile and all the same things happened In my New Admin profile I copied the file from the Public Downloads folder and tried pasting it into my New Admin's own Downloads folder and got this error Destination Folder Access Denied You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file NOTE This happened IN MY ADMIN PROFILE Click quot Continue quot and get this message User Account Control Windows needs your permission to continue If you started this action continue File Operation Microsoft Windows AD - - - - B BDB E Click quot continue quot and the installer begins It runs a while and then I get this message the dialog box says its a message from Skype but I've gotten similar messages from other software I've tried to install Cannot write the installation package on the disk Please make sue that you have the necessary disk space available There are GB available on this disk This is not a new problem so I can't think to associate it with any particular software change and so 'restoring' to an earlier time isn't helpful because it's not tied to any particular time that I can identify I haven't changed hardware AND the associated issue at least I think it's associated is that sometimes installing apps in one profile doesn't flow thru to the other profiles and I can't find any rhyme or reason to that - I've had this happen whether I install the apps while in my Admin account while in my Basic account and using quot run as administrator quot to install or whether I'm in my Admin account and using quot run as administrator quot EVEN THOUGH I'm IN MY ADMIN account because some apps seem to require that kind of thing Then the icons for that app won't show up in different profiles' start menus I can't even search for the apps - have to sometimes dig into C xx to find an executable to create a shortcut Sometimes then trying to run the app and I'm talking about something basic like maybe a PDF viewer or something like that it says I need administrator permissions to run it I'm so tired of all this Can someone please help me I'm ... Read more

A:Problems - Admin Permissions / App Install / UAC, Admin can't access Public files

Helloooooo??? Anybody out there?

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer me.

[UPDATE] incidentally, since writing this I have been able to install a couple of other small apps (but have also run into the same problem on a couple of others).

Thanks
Buck

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problems-admin-permissions-app-install-uac-admin-cant-access-public-files-260867.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello, I just purchased a new lenovo v570 laptop runing windows 7 home premium.

I scanned an image using my Epson NX 400 usb all-in-one printer. Then I tried to save it to my external USB enclosed sata drive. I haven't had any problem like this before. They said, I didn't have permission. I am running the laptop as an administrator. What other permission do I need? Antivirus and firewall software is all up and funny functional.

A:Scanned Image Using Windows Paint. Asked For Admin. Permission, but I am on Admin.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/scanned-image-using-windows-paint-asked-for-admin-permission-but-i-am-on-admin.1051243/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi

Ive stumbled across a problem that has been causing me grief for a few days now, every time I try to access my hard drive (C disk) it says, access is denied. Also, i cant edit permissions because I've lost admin rights. Ive tried many things including unlocking the system admin, this lets me access a few extra things like being able to use the sfc command in cmd, however, it doesn't allow me to access the C disk or change permission because it also has lost admin rights? I fear that this is a bad problem and I don't know how it happened. I have tried restoring to a previous date and that doesn't work either.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shimin4tor

A:[SOLVED] Access denied to C disk and lost admin rights to system admin account

Hi and welcome to TSF so you have tried win 7 hidden admin Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista
have you installed or downloaded anything in the recent past

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-access-denied-to-c-disk-and-lost-admin-rights-to-system-admin-account-693530.html
Relevancy 78.69%

We have some users who have been given administrative privileges on local machine. One user in particular, for her job, is downloading several programs that she needs to do her job. The ones set up with Install Shield install nicely. The ones install using .msi require me to go to her machine, log in as me, and install them. The network admin is out of town, could be reached and could adjust her user account in AD if it were absolutely necessary. But is it? Is there something that can be done in either the registry or somewhere on the local machine to let her install .msi installations?

A:msi needs admin login?

Are you sure they were given local admin rights & not power user rights?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/msi-needs-admin-login.568952/
Relevancy 78.69%

We have 3 computers all running Xp, just did a buncha windows updates.
Now when I turn on my pc I get the Amin login screen, I do not need to type in a passwod, I just hit enter or login and it's fine.
I never uses to have this screen start up, now I do though. There's only the 'admin' profile to choose, no others, I even tried disabling my 'guest' profile but this made no difference.
It's not the end of the world, but just like to avoid this extra step, any ideas?
Thanks
Will

Relevancy 78.69%

please help i have a problem with loging into my admin account when i try to it says User profile Service service login failed to load or somthing like that im currently using a standard login account and when i try and change settings to my admin through a standard login account it asks for a password i type in my admin password and nothing happens i went into safe mode then accessed my admin account Cannot into login my admin Get in start i typed msconfig then clicked on selective start up then clicked to clear the option load start up items then clicked on service tab and clicked to select all microsoft services and then clicked disable Cannot Get into my admin login then ok and restart then did the same thing only clicking to check half of the remaining boxes in msconfig in services then repeated it untill there was one left and its still doing the same thing same message pops up when i try to log into my account i dont know if this matters but i have a windows starter

A:Cannot Get into my admin login

Hello Katariana, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The tutorial below can help show you how to fix this user profile error. Please let me know if you have any questions about it. I'll be happy to help.

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded. - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/152531-cannot-get-into-my-admin-login.html
Relevancy 78.69%

After having to format one of my hard drives and reinstalling WindowsXP, when I boot it has me select a person to login....but I'm the only person there. Is there a way to disable it, so I just go to desktop, and don't have to hit enter by my name each time?

Thanks.

A:Login Admin.

Run "control userpasswords2"
Then uncheck Users must enter a password...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/login-admin.180952/
Relevancy 78.69%

Is there any way to eliminate having to click on the "Admin" box or the "Switch User" box in order for Windows to finally start? I'm sorry but I just hate to have to make a click or keystroke for no useful purpose.

BTW, I stumbled across the way to turn off the User Account Control and that's a great improvement. The machine is a new Laptop running Vista Home Premium.

C.B.

A:Admin box at login

Hi,
Are you saying you want to bypass the login page and go directly to your desk top?
If so, select the start orb and type
RUN in the search box and hit enter
Then type "Control Userpasswords2" without the quotes
Then select your user name and THEN
uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a user name..."

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/admin-box-at-login-363438.html
Relevancy 78.69%

OK I'm an idiot I was settingup my mothers laptop becuase she ones again got a virus on it So I was putting parental controls so she couldn't use is as an admin i mad her a standard user I thought i'd be nice and hide the adminn acct by disabling the administrator via cmd exe quot net user administrator active no quot Now I want to install some additional programs and I cannot enable the administrator login because the UAC settings do not allow me to turn the admin ON In the command prompt it says quot type administrator password and then click Yes quot but when login admin help I type the password the quot Yes quot button remains gray and I cannot click it so it does not allow me to login as admin so I'm stuck only able to login as a user but not the admin I know my admin password butI still can't log in as the admin Please help Amal BKA

A:admin login help

Quote: Originally Posted by nesamoh

OK I'm an idiot.....
I was settingup my mothers laptop becuase she ones again got a virus on it. So I was putting parental controls so she couldn't use is as an admin. i mad her a standard user.... I thought i'd be nice and hide the adminn acct. by
disabling the administrator via cmd.exe "net user administrator /active:no". Now I want to install some additional programs and I cannot enable the administrator login because the UAC settings do not allow me to turn the admin ON. In the command prompt, it says "type administrator password and then click Yes." but when I type the password the "Yes" button remains gray and I cannot click it, so it does not allow me to login as admin, so I'm stuck only able to login as a user, but not the admin. I know my admin password butI still can't log in as the admin...
Please help,

Amal
BKA

BKA

can you boot into safe mide?

If you have the win 7 dvd you can boot from it to doo a reapir install.

You dont by chance have a backuo we can restore from?
Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/60523-admin-login-help.html
Relevancy 78.69%

My computer is not even a year old It is well protected by virus spyware ad - aware spam pop up mal-ware scanners even an optimizer Recently I just had added a standard account for my husband It worked for about a week He then reported to me But Login Admin Cant To Anything that he would sign in the windows screen will pop up then the screen will show as Logging Off then go back to the main screen that lists all the account I tried to fix it by doing a system restore but it only worked for that period But once I restarted the computer it was back to the way it has been We also decided maybe just opening the guest account amp he would use it but the guest does the same thing What I tried System Restore - as far as possible Back Up amp Restore - Don t have a disk with enough storage space Delete amp Re Create User Account nbsp

A:Cant Login To Anything But Admin

Perhaps there is spyware doing it. Try booting in to safe mode with networking and running a malwarebytes scan.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-login-to-anything-but-admin.1022637/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi everyone,

My computer was logging into the administrator account automatically when the computer started. To fix this problem, I typed "net user administrator activate:no" into the command prompt.

When I started the computer again, a little window popped up saying that it could not log in and to make sure the domain and password were correct. When I hit OK, it continued to the welcome screen and the administrator account was not there.

Perfect... until I went to find out where the admin account had disappeared to. I booted the computer into safe mode (the little message came up again and I clicked OK) and clicked on the admin account. Then it asked for the password...

I tried "admin" and the two other passwords that I had previously used. None worked. What could the password possibly be?

A:Admin login

You set the Admin password when you install windows, but you can leave it blank. So maybe the password is just blank

i'd just use http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/ to create a boot disk to make a new password

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/admin-login-237326.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi everyone I have a problem with my windows xp home system The thing is that I recently created a new admin account and deleted the old one from windows while deleting the old account the pc froze up and i had to restart it VERY BIG BAD NEWS as admin? the?! What login Thing is everything was fine Till i checked windows accesories start programs accesories almost every windows services programs where gone i used norton sys works win doctor and many other tweak and checer programs and nothing comes up on them and in fact none of the lost files is essential I still have the important ones like sys restore and others The bad things came up when i try to do things like removing programs from autostart msconfig since windows deny my request and says i should login as an admin but i dont even have a guest account Please if anyone can help me with any ideas login as admin? What the?! that do not include reinstalling windows or formatting my pc its a sony VAIO and windows can only be ejecutable in the machine CD s and it automatically formatts the pc I will be grateful Thanks in Advance and excuse my engrish its not my mother tongue nbsp

Relevancy 78.69%

We have a script that installs a program (Office 2007). It then imports some registry file settings. It imports HKLM and HKCU. We have noticed that if this is installed as a local admin, the settings seem to take if we scan the box as a local admin(we are running a security scan to determine this (the security scan checks multiple gpo's supposed to be set by the program/reg imports). If we scan as a domain admin, the system doesn't seem to show they are set. We believe we see the opposite if it's installed as a domain admin. For the domain scan they are set, for the local scan they are not. Does this have to do with how you can change registry entries as a domain admin versus local admin? The registry settings are imported with reg.exe import filename.reg like commands in the .bat script. Any ideas are helpful.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/gpo-settings-reg-files-local-admin-versus-domain-admin.984826/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi,
I'm new to Windows 7.

I'm still trying to master the file permissions.. I need some help and I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out.

I have a folder with mp3s (created with my old Windows XP system). I've included this mp3s folder in the "my music" library and then I inspected the folder and took ownership of it together with everything it contains (following instructions I found on the Net).

Nevertheless, when I'm trying to delete or move a file I get the message that I need to provide administrator permission! But I thought I am both administrator and owner...

Also, when listen to the songs with WinAmp, it seems I cannon save any song data. I get: Cannot save metadata: Error opening file.

I suppose, it's an aspect of the very same problem.

What am I missing?

thanx.

A:I need admin permission to delete/move file (but I'm both admin/owner)

Take a look on the properties of the folder see if you have an unblock button . If you do click on it .

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/297001-i-need-admin-permission-delete-move-file-but-im-both-admin-owner.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Basically I have two admin accounts one of which belongs to another member of family and one which belongs to me. Heres the situation:

The person who owns the other Admin account is changing my accounts password (also an admin account). Surely there is some way to make it so that I can not have my account's password changed unless it is logged on to my actual account (so my account's password can only be changed if my account is logged on?)

Is there a way?

In urgent need of help!

Thanks!

A:Prevent Admin Accounts From Changing Other Admin Account Passwords In Xp!

Here's an article (for Win2K) that may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309799But, IMO, the issue here is that the other person can't be trusted. In such a situation I'd suggest making the other account into a Standard User account - that way they won't be able to mess with your stuff, and they'll be reliant upon you for anything that requires administrative privileges.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/153087/prevent-admin-accounts-from-changing-other-admin-account-passwords-in-xp/
Relevancy 78.69%

Frustrated with admin rights - Please help me.

Just purchased new PC - HP Pavilion desktop and upgraded to Windows 10 during installation. I've downloaded Google Chrome as my default search engine with no issues. I've attempted several times to download Google Earth. Download fails: "Google Earth needs administrator privileges to install."

I am the only user on this PC and User Account type indicates that I'm the "Administrator".

Why won't Google Earth install?

A:Google Earth won't install - admin privileges required (I am admin)

Hello and welcome!

Sometimes you have to run the installation file and deliberately make it "Run as Administrator" by right clicking on the downloaded file and selecting this option. Not sure if this is the case with Google Earth but worth a try.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/33461-google-earth-wont-install-admin-privileges-required-i-am-admin.html
Relevancy 78.69%

The firm in which I work has a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 installed. There are two user profiles on the computer, the admin and another normal account without administration rights. We have only the password of the account without administrator rights.

The network administrator had left the company surprisingly in without giving the administrator password of the PC and we cannot contact him anymore.

Now we want to install another programme and we cannot do this without an administrator account.

I disabled secure boot and have tried to boot the PC with an Linux USB Stick, but it do not boot from the stick.

Any suggestion how I either can reset the password of the administrator account or create an new account with administrator rights.

A:Windows 10 admin password reset or new account with admin rights

Although there may be techniques to recover a lost password it is forum policy that we do not discuss these here - your best bet would be to visit a local security specialist and get them to recover/reset it for you - and a change to the policy for the replacement admin may be a good idea, I always wrote a list of all passwords and stored it with the Managing Director and also in a fireproof safe

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38274-windows-10-admin-password-reset-new-account-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi,
I am working on a 2012 ADDS based network and I have the following requirement.
I want to create a local administrator user account on the local domain computers (Win XP, 7 and 8) which will have full access on the PC but not the permission to edit other local administrator accounts.
Please advise how I can achieve this.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

A:local admin account with no permit to edit other admin accounts

Local admin account by definition has access to everything and even if it doesn't it can take ownership and give itself the rights. In other words i am not sure that you can achieve what you
are trying to do.

I would suggest create a single shared local admin account and give it your desktop admins, change the password every 60-90 days to keep it more secure. This is common practice in many
organizations.

http://www.dannyeckes.com/create-local-admin-group-policy-gpo/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/125eabac-06f7-45ee-9792-f642c82eab2e/local-admin-account-with-no-permit-to-edit-other-admin-accounts?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 78.26%

hi all i ve been working on removing numerous malware from my dad s computer this past week he was having issues w the computer not booting policy be not anti this security to that virus/the browser hijack/fake allow installed. a does admin infected: has which was caused by a kB sys file i infected: browser hijack/fake anti virus/the admin has a security policy that does not allow this to be installed. was able to use windows infected: browser hijack/fake anti virus/the admin has a security policy that does not allow this to be installed. xp cd launch recovery and use the command line to delete the kB file The next issue he had was internet explorer would not start i resolved this by entering the following in the run window of xp quot regsvr exe quot c program files internet explorer ieproxy dll quot next i downloaded malwarebytes and ran the scan by running in safe mode unplugging network cable first fix errors reboot run malwarebytes in normal mode booted in safe mode ran malwarebytes nothing found booted normally ran malwarebytes nothing found i can t remember the version number but i know i downloaded the lastest malwarebytes update on thursday june things looked ok this morning but all of a sudden after i left my dad says he is getting pop-ups w false anti-virus warnings i told him to install hijackthis he was getting a quot the administrator has set security policies that prevent the installation of this program quot i had him reboot unplug the network cable then run malwarebytes it got rid of items quick notes about the computer dell dimension windows xp home sp vpskeys is a vietnamese language typing program he was then able to install and run hijackthis here is the log please help Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Analog Devices Core smax pnp exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exeC Program Files EPSON Creativity Suite Event Manager EEventManager exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared PIF B E DD - - c -B F- F FCA A PIFSvc exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC WINDOWS system rundll exeC Program Files Vpskeys vpskeys exeC WINDOWS system wscntfy exeC WINDOWS system msiexec exeC Program Files Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dell me com mywayR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dllO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Toolbar no name - BA B -B - c -B - F F - no file O - HKLM Run SoundMAXPnP C Program Files Analog Devices Core smax pnp exeO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdate... Read more

A:infected: browser hijack/fake anti virus/the admin has a security policy that does not allow this to be installed.

oops, i thought i put in the right forum. my bad. i'm a n00b.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/325690/infected-browser-hijackfake-anti-virusthe-admin-has-a-security-policy-that-does-not-allow-this-to-be-installed/
Relevancy 77.83%

One of the office computers never had a password for the administrator account, and it was the only account ever used by everyone. We set a password and created a limited user account. Now when the admin account is attempted to be logged into the message: "C:\windows\system32\command.com incorrect paramaters" appears. However the limited account will login fine. When the system is started in safe mode, the admin account can be logged into.
I expect that a malware/trojen/whatever may be the culprit. Prior to the issue, Spybot removed 526 problems, but 25 needed a reboot before Spybot could remove them. I ran hijack this and saved the log before any "cleaning" of the system began. Where do I begin to correct this?

A:Admin accounts won't login

Do you use the Welcome Screen or a Logon Box.

If it's the welcome screen, press Ctrl + Alt + Del twice at the Welcome Screen. You should be able to enter the username and password there.

I'd create a second admin account in safe mode if I were you, since you said it lets you logon there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-accounts-wont-login.743719/
Relevancy 77.83%

Per a new software's instructions, I have to log in to Win10 as an admin before installing. I went in to a command line to activate or enable the "Administrator" account. But, when I restart the computer, there is no "Administrator" login option. I can only login under my family account name. How can I login as Administrator when there is no option to select it?

Thanks.

Phil

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/60957-no-admin-login-option.html
Relevancy 77.83%

My friend fixed my laptop for me and now it's stuck with 'admin' login - no other option. when i click to change password it says I have no drive. PLEASE HELP! 

A:MY HP 655 IS STUCK WITH ADMIN LOGIN

kborella Sorry, but forum policy prevents us from telling you how to bypass the Admin login to get into your PC. At this point, you need to take the PC back to your "friend" , have them disable the default Admin login, and if they can not restore your original login, create a new one for you, using a default password (like "password"), which you then change to a real password when you get it back home and login to it again. Good Luck========================================================================I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.---------------------------------------------------------------Please click "Accept As Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.Please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on the left of the Reply button to say thanks fopr my help.========================================================================

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/MY-HP-655-IS-STUCK-WITH-ADMIN-LOGIN/td-p/5590993
Relevancy 77.83%

hp 6000 pro microtower. windows 7 pro...

I can log in as standard user, but cant install programs. probably cause I'm not admin?

cant recall admin login. how to fix? how do I get admin access again?

would running the HP recovery manager fix this? give me admin access again? please advise. thanks.

A:cant remember admin login.

If you can't remember your password then don't set one up.

You can run HP System Recovery which on modern HP's has a minimal Recovery without all of the corrupting bloatware and duplicate utilities that have better versions built into Win7.

However to get the very best performance I would do what most tech enthusiasts do and Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. Everything you need is in the blue link.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/287655-cant-remember-admin-login.html
Relevancy 77.83%

hi all,
i have a msi wind notebook with vista and i can't access my account because it says the password is incorrect (altough i'm pretty sure it's not anyway). i know we can set the admin account to be shown on the login screen but it requires access to the computer .. is there a way to get access to it directly from the login screen ...

please i need your help ...

A:Can't access the admin login

Originally Posted by Calen

hi all,
i have a msi wind notebook with vista and i can't access my account because it says the password is incorrect (altough i'm pretty sure it's not anyway). i know we can set the admin account to be shown on the login screen but it requires access to the computer .. is there a way to get access to it directly from the login screen ...

please i need your help ...

if you can get to a CMD prompt ( hit F8 while booting ) type in:
net user administrator /active:yes

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/230300-cant-access-admin-login.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Morning!
Dell Vostro 1400
Not sure what version  of XP PRO ( friend installed years ago, doesnt have disc anymore so thats NOT an option)

I Can no longer use hotspots on work network...dusting off old personal PC
Havent used in at least 2 years b/c I used work computer...
Can't remenber bleepin password!!!
Tried to remember
tried F8, Safe mode but admin option won't show up
Typed in admin and left password blank
Work comp won't let me run/burn password recovery/chang files...boo (I was really hoping for this one)
Tried cont, alt, delete twice at welcome screen (assuming screen is black with windows symbol)
I've looked at many many forums in the last 24 hrs. Is there anything I can do in safe mode with command prompt....anything...Not a professional tech obviously but I'm comfortable trying anything.       
HELP! Really don't want to pay money to recover it...who does?
Sincerely,
FRUSTRATED TEACHER

A:TRIED EVERYTHING! Cannot access admin login

Typed in admin and left password blank

Administrator not admin. Unless that's what you meant.

Tried cont, alt, delete twice at welcome screen (assuming screen is black with windows symbol)

Screen is not black with Windows logo. That's when it's in the boot process. The welcome screen looks like this...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504703/tried-everything-cannot-access-admin-login/
Relevancy 77.83%

This is a friends pc. It boots up to administrator login. Starts to load settings and then logs off again. Does the same thing in safe mode. It is Windows xp Pro. I can't get into windows. any ideas other than just a reload? or repair?

Thanks,

Sandra

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-login-issue.778216/
Relevancy 77.83%

My PC has one user and on startup I want to log in to the user not to the administrator. Please help! Thank you.

A:login to user not admin

Welcome to TSG....

Actually you are logging in as a user but with full admin rights. If you boot in safe mode you should see several accounts administrator, your account you open on boot up and guest which is the limited account.

If yo want to go into Windows as guest then you can setup the computer for that but it will limit you to that account and its limited capabilities just go to user accounts in control panel and turn it on so you can use it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/login-to-user-not-admin.512183/
Relevancy 77.83%

I had some problems when I upgraded my workstations to sp5, in fact I had to reinstall NT on a few machines.
Before I had NTFSDOS.
Basically there is a machine that I managed to recover, but it no longer allows domain adimins to login.
Well it does but once logged in the screen just sits and never loads the desktop.
I have looked at profiles but the domain admin profiles are roaming anyway, but I still deleted them locally.
I want to upgrade to sp6 to see if it will fix it but can't due to certain programs being used.
Ideas?

A:{Resolved} - Admin login

Greetings

It sounds like the account does not have write access to the Hard Drive, or to the Winnt directory.

Can you log onto the machine at all? Can you log in as the LOCAL administrator?

If so, then log in, and right click on the Hard disk drives and go to properties. In the properties tab, go to the Security tab, and click on the bottom button called "Take Ownership". Take ownership of all files and directories (there will be an error when it tries to take ownership of open files like pagefile.sys, just tell it to continue).

Then go to the permissions tab and make sure Everyone has Full Control to the drive.

Then open up User Manager and add the domain Admin group to the Local Admin group. Then log off and log back on again.

If you can not log in AT ALL, with ANY account, then you might need to use NTFSdos to get the data off the disk and re-install.

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resolved-admin-login.28931/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi all. So I got a virus and had to restore/recover my pc. When it finished it prompted me for logon. I chose "HP Administration" Somehow i should have chosen "Administrator" since my restore left my docs and my music, portfolio etc on the pc without deleting it. So now I cant acces my files. If i go to C/docs and settings I see folders for the new account "HP Admin" and also "Admin" I can get into the "Admin" and then "My Docs" folder but cant get into anything beyond that. Like my pics, portfolio, music etc... When i try and switch users the only options I have are "HP Admin" the new one with no access, and "Guest". How do I delete the new admin login and get back into my old admin login.

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 77.83%

Hi guys when my pc gets to the first screen where you choose your account my admin account has changed from my name to 'Other user' and when I click on it it asks for a username and password. Also trying to access files from the admin account when it prompts me with a password I enter it and the dialogue box goes away as if it has accepted the password but does not let me access the files. Any help appreciated thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/381483-admin-account-corrupted-cant-access-files-using-admin-p-w.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Using Win 8.1

First off, the account I'am signed on with is listed as admin type account. It's the one I had to enter my windows account email.
Since installing the new MalwareBytes 2.0 program (which went in without any problem) it put an shortcut icon on desktop. I tried too move the icon from desktop to another folder and it said I needed admin rights to do this. Usually once I click on continue it gives me access and proceeds to carry out the command.
So I followed the tutorial to build hidden admin account. I type in: net user administrator /active:yes, it completed. I signed on to the admin account and tried the same operation and it still asked for admin rights.
What am I doing wrong?

UpDate: MalwareBytes 2.0 has a self protection ability that needs to not be enabled, otherwise everything associated with the Program including program icons located anywhere cannot be moved.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/43247-i-needed-admin-rights-using-built-admin-account.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi Guys I'm new to this forum as in this is my first post so please be gentle with Admin? Standard Account to Hidden (Admin) Transferring me if this has been answered before So anyway I have a standard account with admin privileges turned off UAC etc but it doesn't seem to be elevated all the time for example I still see the quot admin shield Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin? quot icon next to some programs on my desktop Most of the time I have to right click and select quot Run as Administrator quot from the popup menu and also Windows still asks me when something needs admin mode and do I want to continue I have Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin? activated the hidden true admin account on my PC and when I log into that everything is elevated and great no more prompts etc which is what I want But the problem is it looks very basic I want to be able to transfer all my settings from my standard admin account to my true admin account is this possible I've tried going to system- gt advanced system settings- gt user profiles to copy the account across but the copy button is grayed out If this is not possible is there any way to make this standard admin account the full type which is always elevated Hope someone can help me I'm getting very annoyed having to give permission for things I want to do all the time Thanks in advance -milw rm

A:Transferring Standard (Admin) Account to Hidden Admin?

Hello milw0rm, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You could use the tutorial below to elevate your standard administrator account to have the same elevated rights as the built-in elevated Administrator account.

Be warned though, that all Metro Store apps and the Store will not work in an elevated account.

User Account Control (UAC) - Elevate Privilege Level - Vista Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/16240-transferring-standard-admin-account-hidden-admin.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Recently I did a clean install from the windows installation tool off a CD I made. Soon after logging on and making my first account (again!) I couldn't open the C drive. I messed with the owner options and made my account the owner so I could open it. Possibly before or maybe after (I'm not sure) I realised I wasn't able to use any admin settings, (like add another account or see advanced system settings) open any applications that required admin rights (like CMD or any installation file) or do anything in the system menu. I've tried to look up the solution but can't find anything that fits the description of my problem. Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance for at least reading this.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59249-no-admin-rights-admin-account-after-clean-install.html
Relevancy 77.83%

I'm having some issues with my upgrade to win system me Programs asking passwords and for admin user admin Programs that need elevated access are now asking me for both the Sys Admin and my local admin password Of course the sys admin has no password and my local admin does So no matter what I do I get it wrong Earlier today I was trying to reset the tiles in my start menu to default I followed directions I found on the web activated the sys admin account went to the sys admin account the users app data tabletray But I kept getting the error that something quot was already in use quot and I couldn't copy all the files I went ahead Programs asking me for system admin and user admin passwords and pasted what I had in my local admin and standard user account then I disabled the sys admin account Now some programs icons I installed earlier today have disappeared I have to go to an admin account to gain access and turn them on MSI afterburner And any program that needs Programs asking me for system admin and user admin passwords admin access I'm not sure if I'm giving it access or it's just starting without admin access Seems like the next time I re-boot or log off I have to do it all over again when a program asks for elevated access it shows sys admin account AND local admin account above the password box Is that normal I could have sworn it only had my local admin account listed before If I have to re-install where do I Programs asking me for system admin and user admin passwords get the free win upgrade again are those files saved on my pc

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/58127-programs-asking-me-system-admin-user-admin-passwords.html
Relevancy 77.83%

For a long time I've had much difficulty understanding the exact difference between the computer administrator and a user whose type is administrator On my system there are two administrators - one known as quot Administrator quot and another with my name Gary or Gary and Susan Each administrator has their own profile I used Windows Professional The distinction doesn't matter to system operation in general With MS Office Professional however it does When I start MS Word or MS Excel as myself for example it won't let me access the help files When I try to a message states quot There is a problem with one Pro work not MS user features All but admin with Admin Office with or more installed help files Please repair your office installation and try again quot I ran the repair program successfully but as myself All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user I can't access the help files When I log in All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user as user quot administrator quot I can but the access is limited I can also access all features of the program in safe mode Yet when I log in as myself I can only access the help files if I run the program as an administrator This perplexes me because my user type is administrator This problem has occurred with other programs from time to time Would someone please help me understand this and is there a workaround I can set the privilege level to administrator which will permit me unrestricted access to the help files but then a dialog box appears every time I start the program which I'd prefer to not see

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/389269-all-ms-office-pro-features-work-admin-but-not-admin-user.html
Relevancy 77.83%

For a long time I've had much difficulty understanding the exact difference between the computer administrator and a user whose type is administrator On my system there are two administrators - one known as quot Administrator quot and another with my name Gary or Gary and Susan Each administrator has their own profile I used Windows Professional The distinction doesn't matter to system operation in general With MS Office Professional however it does When I start MS Word All Office features MS user with but work not admin Admin with Pro or MS Excel as myself for example it won't let me access the help files When I try to a message states quot There is a problem with All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user one All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user or more installed help files Please repair your office installation and try again quot I ran the repair program successfully but as myself I can't access the help files When I log in as user quot administrator quot I can but the access is limited I can also access all features of the program in safe mode Yet when I log in as myself I can only access the help files if I run the program as an administrator This perplexes me because my user type is administrator This problem has occurred with other programs from time to time Would someone please help me understand this and is there a workaround I can set the privilege level to administrator which will permit me unrestricted access to the help files but then a dialog box appears every time I start the program which I'd prefer to not see All MS Office Pro features work with Admin but not with admin user

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/389269-all-ms-office-pro-features-work-admin-but-not-admin-user.html
Relevancy 76.97%

After the use of a cleaning program I can only log into Windows 7 in safe mode, normal log in ends with an error message. I tried system restore, new installation of Windows and creation of new user profiles, which all failed. The 'cleaner' also deleted many save game data and game configurations. This happened about a month ago, yet since a few days the guest account is also affected: now both work only in safe mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-login-only-in-safe-mode-possible.1051923/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi, is it possible to log into an XP machine connected to my network, using my network admin password?

My XP machine is configured to show the list of users at login, but is there a way to login a different way, a shortcut key perhaps?

I have admin access to my XP machine so could just as easily change the way users log in (so that they have to type in their username and password), I'm just curious to know if I can log in as a network admin from the 'users' login screen. I'm sure I can, I've seen it done before (maybe by holding down a key at startup or something) but I can't remember how.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Relevancy 76.97%

I'm the administrator for my company but was not around when the original IT here setup the account settings and whatnot The issue I'm having is with the UAC For most users whenever they try to install a file add a printer or make and kind of setting changes the UAC pops up and prompts for a password But as I work with more employees I'm noticing that some of their accounts won't for users admin prompting not UAC login certain give UAC not prompting certain users for admin login me the option to enter my login and thus not able to make appropriate changes to their computers It doesn't seem to have a real pattern as to who it is affecting e g it's happening to newly created users as well as long time employees I feel it prudent to say that I've got no official training in this field and am self taught That isn't to say I won't be able to answer followup questions or elaborate on the issue Thanks for any help advice you can give

A:UAC not prompting certain users for admin login

Is that happening on an individual machine that many people share (under their own account each) or across many computers for each one? Are they using domain accounts or locally defined users?
A few things to check beforehand would be, that UAC is really enabled where the problem happens and that the users are really standard without admin rights.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/292876-uac-not-prompting-certain-users-admin-login.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Well I have a problem, my keyboard stops working at the admin. login ( can't type my password in ). I can use temp. user, but have no access to windows security to fix what sounds to me like a virus or some crap. I don't have a start up disc for this machine. Anyone want to suggest ideas I can try?

A:keyboard only inop at admin. login

Is it a USB keyboard? Do you have access to a PS2 keyboard to try temporary?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/354630/keyboard-only-inop-at-admin-login/