Windows Support Forum

Random, hard freezing in Firefox and Second Life. Hard reset required.

Q: Random, hard freezing in Firefox and Second Life. Hard reset required.

Hello every one I've been having a long term problem that has basically plagued my computer since I've built it Yet the issue manifests itself in different ways through out the years The issue is At certain seemingly random points my computer screen freezes with no BSOD Computer is still running with Firefox freezing Random, Life. Hard in Second hard and reset required. fans going No error message Sound stops Mouse is not responsive on screen Nothing works Screen is frozen on the last picture A holding down of the power button for a hard reset is the only way to recover Through out the years since I've changed graphics cards and RAM chips in order to try and solve this Random, hard freezing in Firefox and Second Life. Hard reset required. problem I've found that the RAM had no effect on the issue but the graphics cards perhaps did Back in I had constant random freezing at random intervals during the days of the week whilst basically doing any thing An SLI set up of two Geforce s I finally discarded one of the graphics cards to only run one and that seemingly fixed most random freezing issues for some time Though it did happen on some rare occasion that I could not explain How ever In I upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX OC and found that issues immediately arose again I could not activity render videos in Adobe Premiere Elements whilst working on the video editing software with out a hard freeze Basically unable to render videos in real-time whilst working on them any more More issues started occurring later with this same card When watching Youtube videos in Firefox browser Occasionally with increasing frequency watching videos in the browser were causing this problem Then I discovered the option to disable 'hardware acceleration' and the problem hasn't arisen in the browser since Come Using a program known as 'Second Life' that does tend to use a lot of resources When computer resources were being strained too hard this problem did return on a rare occasion when I was running dual clients of this program In this same program known as 'Second Life' had gone through some updates and now for some reason the freezing issue has reared its ugly head in a big way Some times I can't be on this program for even an hour and the hard freeze occurs To fix this issue from that point I've tried updating to the latest graphics drivers No success I've even upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX Ti and again updated to the latest graphics drivers The issue still persists and renders use of them program unusable I am able to play games such as Guild Wars Grand Theft Auto Trove etc with out issue how ever I do not know what is causing the issue in order to know what I need to fix My current setup is ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Operating System Windows Professional -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd System Model X A-UD BIOS Award Modular BIOS v PG Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce GTX Ti DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV C amp SUBSYS amp REV A Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Name Generic PnP Monitor Monitor Model SMEX Monitor Id SAM Native Mode x p Hz Output Type DVI Driver Name nvd dumx dll nvwgf umx dll nvwgf umx dll nvd dum nvwgf um nvwgf um Driver File Version English Driver Version DDI Version Driver Model WDDM Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396853-random-hard-freezing-firefox-second-life-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Random, hard freezing in Firefox and Second Life. Hard reset required.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 105.35%

Hello,
at random times the lock-screen freezes and a hard reset is needed. Keyboard light still toggle yet the SysReq + REISUB key combination does not do anything. Where is some syslog for checking why the kernel dumped and find potential solutions? This is windows 8.1, is this a known bug?

A:The lock screen sees random freezes and a hard reset is required.

Do you still need assistance with this issue?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/322392-lock-screen-sees-random-freezes-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Hello My Windows randomly keeps freezing up on Random to hard have freezing / reset. me I have read multiple threads on this forum but none of the solutions helped me I've tried switching HDD's reinstalling Windows Tested my ram with Memtest for hours no issues Tested HDD's no bad sectors found I've Random freezing / have to hard reset. used HWinfo to check the voltages and Random freezing / have to hard reset. temperatures they seem to be fine even under full Prime torture tests spiking around to degrees Celsius under full burn My setup ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Intel Core i - k not overclocked GB DDR RAM - x GB CMX GX M A C ASUS DRW- F ST drive TB SAMSUNG HD SJ TB SEAGATE ST DM - ER MSI NVIDIA Geforce GTX Creative Soundblaster Z PSU OCZ MXSP Watercooling Corsair H i LCD Fan-controller BitFenix CoolerMaster HAFX case I must say the options the motherboard has listed in the BIOS are overwhelming Tons of options and features which are all set to quot auto quot No idea if this contributes to the freezing It's not something that was present before Random freezing / have to hard reset. It started happening about weeks ago Nothing has changed in my setup I even started thinking about the humidity in the air causing system instability so I turned on a DE-humidifier to no avail Thanks in advance for helping me

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/54703-random-freezing-have-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hello,

I am running two 7950s in crossfire on my computer. Anytime I launch a game, my computer just locks up and this hardcore buzzing sound playing right when it crashes, the sound continues while the computer is frozen.
This problem has happened in both Battlefield 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist. I have enabled Crossfire and Crossfire for applications that have no associated profile. In GPUz, it says my cards are enabled for crossfire.

Any ideas on this? I'm wondering if it's my psu? If I disable crossfire, the games work, but the second gpu is at 0% utilization.

Here are my specs:
Windows 8 64bit
AMD 13.8 beta 2 drivers
ULPS is disabled via MSI Afterburner (and I did restart after)
CPU: 4670k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87x-UD5H
RAM: 16GB Gskill
HDD: OS on a 120gb ssd, games on a 2tb WD Black
PSU: 750w Corsair

A:Crossfire 7950s lock up computer, hard reset required

Since the games work fine when you disable Cf it seems like it is a driver issue, try downloading the latest 13.10 Driver and see if it fixes your issue.
Driver: 13.10 AMD Catalyst

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/30103-crossfire-7950s-lock-up-computer-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Windows bit Satellite Pro C - NR Laptop Hi There One of my Pro intermittently, reset Satellite required C660-1NR freezes hard users' Laptop Computer freezes at random moments throughout the day At first I thought it was battery related as the first two occurrences happened when working unplugged but it has since done it when plugged in too On average it happens at least once every day It will not resume afterwards the only way to get past this is by holding the power button and restarting The problem started when uploading a number of Windows updates about weeks ago Before it has never frozen not even once I will wait for it to die again might be today might be tomorrow and will look at the Satellite Pro C660-1NR freezes intermittently, hard reset required event log around the time that it died Do you think this is hardware or software related I have updated the laptops drivers chipset etc so all is as up to date as I can get it Nothing wrong with this laptop other than the freezes performs fine when it's working Your help is very much appreciated Kind Regards Lee Message was edited by lhall

A:Satellite Pro C660-1NR freezes intermittently, hard reset required

>The problem started when uploading a number of Windows updates about 6 weeks ago. Before it has never frozen, not even once.

So why you don?t try to set the system back to the point before the updates have been installed? I think this would be the first step trying to solve this issue.

>Do you think this is hardware or software related?
If setting the system back to the early time point would not help, I guess an system recovery would be the next step to discover the reason for this issue?
After recovery the unit should work properly? if not? well it could be hardware related issue

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?71594-Satellite-Pro-C660-1NR-freezes-intermittently-hard-reset-required
Relevancy 86.43%

Windows Professional x Intel Core i - K Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost x KB L Cache MB L Cache LGA playing reset Black Diablo required. while 3, screen Hard BSOD. no W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX I K SAMSUNG Spinpoint F HD SJ TB RPM MB Cache SATA Black screen while playing Diablo 3, no BSOD. Hard reset required. Gb s Black screen while playing Diablo 3, no BSOD. Hard reset required. quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive GIGABYTE GA-Z X-UD -B LGA Intel Z SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG- W ATX V v EPS V v SLI Certified CrossFire Certified PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply XFX HD- A-ZNFC Radeon HD GB -bit DDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity Crucial M CT M SSD quot GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD G SKILL Sniper GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model F - CL D- GBSR Computer is about months old Game worked fine for the beta and even for a week or two after launch Randomly not on a patch day the game started crashing Now it crashes after or minutes in the game almost every time I've followed all the regular troubleshooting steps see Battle net thread here At first I didn't see any error logs but the Action Center came up today with a bunch of errors looking like this I included the recommended error files the dump files from the error in the above screenshot and the perfmon report It's worth mentioning that I tried it also in my Windows installation only to encounter the same problem I'm hoping someone with more experience dissecting these logs can help me out Please let me know if you require any additional information

A:Black screen while playing Diablo 3, no BSOD. Hard reset required.

VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (117)
The display driver failed to respond in timely fashion.

atikmpag.sys - AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver from Advanced Micro Devices
Timestamp: Tue May 22 20:08:40 2012

It appears a recently installed AMD driver is causing a fault with the DX driver; However, a TDR can be caused by your video card overheating. Use a temperature monitoring utility such as HWinfo64 to check the system temperatures. If you are overclocking the card, STOP overclocking until the problem is located.

Forgot to mention: Report back on your system temps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/234345-black-screen-while-playing-diablo-3-no-bsod-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 83.85%

PROBLEM I am wondering about help...No Freezing/Hard 7 Thrown x64 Reboot Required Win Error/Events some issues I am having that I am puzzled by and am hoping someone could help out About a week ago my computer froze up didn't think much of it just cold rebooted it and away I went no issues for about a week Last night when I got home same thing this time when I rebooted I did a reset instead and upon this my computer could not find the bootable hard drive I decided to cold reboot it and sure enough came back up Since this time about every minutes or so it does the same thing Cold reboots are the only way to bring it back up The computer was put together in November by me probably issue see my user specs for PC info That being said the two hard drives if those are issues would possibly be the SSD Boot drive or the GB Seagate older hard drive also stores all my installed programs The could not find boot drive is a simple red flag to my SSD But when I cold reboot its fine and monitoring Win 7 x64 Freezing/Hard Reboot Required help...No Error/Events Thrown it all checks out ok The GB drive seems to have a corrupted portion on it but it boots normal and lasts for minutes or so I have not tried chcdsk yet plan to tonight As far as I know my PSU CPU Memory and GPU are fine I plan to run a hour memtest tonight but my CSU passed intelburn tests and GPU passes FURMark and memtestg and although I don't have a voltage reader via BIOS my power isn't spiking at all No events thrown since its just freezing Things I noticed last night while playing Diablo III My Skype call would die out D would still work until I Alt-Tab to see what happened to Skype Once I did that computer would freeze This didn't make much sense to me All drivers are up to date No windows updates have been run in the last week although everything is up to date TESTS I PLAN TO DO Unplug the secondary hard drive to see if it lasts more than an hour although I don't have anything installed on my boot drive I am sure I can figure out a few stress tests to see if its the secondary drive but would the secondary drive even cause windows freezing Put in a HD and install windows on it to test if its the SSD QUESTIONS I HAVE Does anyone know any tests I can do to actually test the HD or the SSD besides unplugging it as a solution Unplugging the HD is easy enough but unplugging the SSD means installing windows reinstalling programs etc If its broke fine figured I would see if anyone knew of any software to test SSD's or stress test them to hopefully cause a crash Any thoughts on if I a am even heading down the right direction Would lockups be PSU related or would that be an actual crash reboot I would assume if the PSU was dying it would be crash not a lock up

A:Win 7 x64 Freezing/Hard Reboot Required help...No Error/Events Thrown

trashmagazine,
How about doing us a favor an putting your specs into your System Specs?

Follow this procedure please:
Update your SevenForums System Specs
User CP (located on the top menu bar) |
Your Profile | Edit System Spec (left-hand column)

To gather info, use Speccy (my favorite) or SIW or System Info

ADD the word laptop or desktop or netbook to the
“system manufacturer” block, for example,
Toshiba Satellite L305D notebook.

Provide full windows version info, for example:
MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Use the “Other Info” block for Optical Reader,
Mouse, touchpad, wifi adapter, speakers, monitor, etc

Scroll down and click on SAVE CHANGES.
============================================================

Now my old eyes can't handle that small typeface.

Would you post a short post, in normal size typeface which states the problem and the problem only?

thanks,
karl

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/232409-win-7-x64-freezing-hard-reboot-required-help-no-error-events-thrown.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I have had a problem, for the last two months or so, that consists of my laptop freezing and requiring a hard shutdown to fix it. I have a Dell XPS15, 6gb ram, i5-2450M dual core, and a 1gb NVIDIA GeForce GT 525m graphics card with the newest drivers.

Basically, I will play any game, from the original Mass Effect to WoW to Kerbal Space Program, and my computer will freeze, and occasionally make static noise until I hold down the power button for a hard shutdown. I've done stress tests and monitored the heat, and I don't ever seem to reach the heat threshold. Additionally, I've dusted out the fans and such. One or two times I have been able to alt-tab to fix the problem, and it pops up with an error stating that the display driver has failed.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Relevancy 82.56%

have posted another topic on bleepingcomputer about this I just want some extra help as responses could be slow...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549415/computer-freezing-randomly-and-having-to-reset/

tldr;

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UEPn5RnXvn6cXGWsGZ16EVa

error code 800B0100 and error code 80070570 when trying to update

Relevancy 81.7%

Hello,

I'm going to post two different scenarios that happens when my computer needs a hard restart
My computer freezes completely (literally no movement on the screen or anything, it's not slow it's frozen). And an extremely loud buzzing sound comes out of my headphones or speakers.The same thing as above except without the loud buzzing noise.

I saw that this happened to someone else who had both the speakers and the headphones plugged in at the same time. However, scenario #2 just happened to me 10 minutes ago even though I only had my headphones plugged in.

I built this computer six months ago and it's the first computer I've ever built. I assume it's a driver issue but I can't really pinpoint the problem since no BSOD appears on the screen and I have no higher computer knowledge.

I'm attaching the zip file required.

Thanks,

A:Random Computer Freezing - Need to hard restart after freezing No BSOD

Wow, this sounds like the same thing that happened to a friend of mine when his hard drive was failing. Replaced the drive and the freezes went away. Even the buzzing noise.

Also you may need to look at what drivers you may have just install/updated.

Hoping you don't have any failing hardware "Motherboard, video card, etc". Those are expensive

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/42255-random-computer-freezing-need-hard-restart-after-freezing-no-bsod.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hello,

I'm going to post two different scenarios that happens when my computer needs a hard restart
My computer freezes completely (literally no movement on the screen or anything, it's not slow it's frozen). And an extremely loud buzzing sound comes out of my headphones or speakers.The same thing as above except without the loud buzzing noise.

I saw that this happened to someone else who had both the speakers and the headphones plugged in at the same time. However, scenario #2 just happened to me 10 minutes ago even though I only had my headphones plugged in.

I built this computer six months ago and it's the first computer I've ever built. I assume it's a driver issue but I can't really pinpoint the problem since no BSOD appears on the screen and I have no higher computer knowledge.

I'm attaching the zip file required.

Thanks,

A:Random Computer Freezing - Need to hard restart after freezing No BSOD

Wow, this sounds like the same thing that happened to a friend of mine when his hard drive was failing. Replaced the drive and the freezes went away. Even the buzzing noise.

Also you may need to look at what drivers you may have just install/updated.

Hoping you don't have any failing hardware "Motherboard, video card, etc". Those are expensive

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/42255-random-computer-freezing-need-hard-restart-after-freezing-no-bsod.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hey guys I need some help with a current issue Before I begin I want to stress that this has only happened reset Freezing/Crashing/Hard when video converting during video rendering converting Nothing else causes this issue I have been doing small project studio type video audio work since In I started my first custom build pc for it and had great success with that tower - swapping out and upgrading parts here and there as I went long No freezing crashing ect while doing any heavy video work This past September I did a complete upgrade of my motherboard processor graphics card and Ram I have not done any super heavy video work since upgrading but when I first put it together I ran Prime for a solid hour I am NOT doing any sort of over clocking so I was told running it for more then an hour wouldn't really be necessary and I also ran Afterburner I believe graphics card stress tester and seen no issues I have even ran both these apps recently after having issues with crashing but I didn't get a crash at all with them I use Sony Vegas Pro and Handbrake for video rendering editing converting and like I said my last build I never once had any issues with converting or rendering When I upgraded all the main hardware last September I was doing mostly audio work but now am getting back into video projects and I am experiencing several freezes auto resets Freezing/Crashing/Hard reset when converting video and even BSOD and they all happen randomly - some within a matter of seconds of starting a conversion sometimes I get several minuets hours of converting done before it happens It's been random but often Here is my current setup -Coolermaster HAF X case with internal hard drives The case and the drives are the ONLY things I kept from the previous build Plenty of fans on the case and I monitor the components often with HWMonitor app -AMD FX core processor - Gigs of DDR Ram Freezing/Crashing/Hard reset when converting video Not sure of the clock speed off the top of my head -GTX nVidia graphics card - GB from MSI with latest drivers -Coolermaster evo aftermarket cooler with Artic silver paste -WIndows with latest official updates I have only experienced these crashes while either rendering video with Sony Vegas or converting video with Handbrake Handbrake seems to cause the crashes more frequently then Sony Vegas Sometimes when using handbrake I can go about my converting for a good hour or so without any issues sometimes it only takes the first video and it'll crash I get of crash types all of them random It will either Competently freeze the entire pc up making mouse keyboard ect dead - forcing a hard reset with the front panel switch this seems to be the most common It will hard reset by itself I get a Blue Screen Of Death Anytime I use Handbrake it pushes all cores of my processor to full load Each core runs between to the entire time it is encoding a video and my temps on the processor are considered safe When idle depending on the room temp of course I run anywhere between and degrees Celsius and when Handbrake is doing it's thing even on longer encoding sessions that don't cause a freeze crash the hottest it's ever got is degrees Celsius with degrees being the norm when it's not a hotter summer day PC is located on second floor of house and our central air has been broke up until recently I have had sessions where I can convert several to minuet video clips back to back without any issues and even did a and a half hour video without any issues The to min clips usually take to minuets to convert depending on if its SD or HD video and the and a half hour video took about minuets to convert Again it fully loads the processor the entire time its converting Other times I can't get into anymore then seconds of the encoding process on a short clip and it'll freeze One of the times I got a BSOD I got this info from the dump file using a BSOD readout app Dump File - - dmp Crash Time AM Bug Check String Bug Check Code x Parameter Parameter ... Read more

http://www.pchelpforum.com/pc-hardware/130162-freezing-crashing-hard-reset-when-converting-video.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hey guys first post on here after about a week of solid research and forehead-to-screen bashing and a few months of increasingly more frequent issues trying to figure out what is wrong with this computer Here's the specs OS - Vista Home Premium SP x What crashes, KILL WANT random Multiple BSODs, hard freezing, random TO was original installed OS on system -Probably sometime in Here is what the computer originally was iBUYPOWER Gamer Gears of War Desktop PC - Newegg com iBUYPOWER Core Quad GB DDR Multiple BSODs, random hard freezing, random crashes, WANT TO KILL GB HDD Capacity Desktop PC Windows Vista Home Premium -bit Battle Gear X - Newegg com same one but has some feedback purchased All of the basic hardware is original except for the stuff listed in the Other Info section below Is the OS an OEM version came pre-installed on system or full retail version YOU purchased it from retailer -pre-installed in the computer IIRC Age of system hardware - Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS - No reinstall if memory serves me Multiple BSODs, random hard freezing, random crashes, WANT TO KILL right CPU -Core Quad Q Video Card -Sparkle GT SPARKLE SX GT D -HP GeForce GT GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg com may possibly be a GB but I haven't looked at in a long time I'll double check tomorrow MotherBoard -P Q ASUS P Q LGA Intel P ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg com Power Supply - brand amp wattage - watt I'll get specs on it tomorrow System Manufacturer -iBuyPower Exact model number if laptop check label on bottom -Gamer Gears of War or Battle Gear X same specs ordered back when it was called the Other Info Memory - GB Corsair XMS CORSAIR GB x GB XMS PC - DDR MHz CL - - - V SDRAM DIMM Non-ECC AVADirect Custom Computer Component HDDs -Boot drive Hitachi GST Deskstar K HDS KLA A GB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Hard Drive - Newegg com came with computer running since seems to me that it was listed as being rpm somewhere but maybe not -storage drive Western Digital WD Black WD FALS TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive - Newegg com running since -storage drive Hitachi GST Deskstar HD IDK K S TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive - Newegg com open box running since -storage drive Seagate Barracuda ST AS Internal Hard Drive - Newegg com running since Case -http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Soundcard -http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E since CPU cooler Thermalright IFX- CPU Cooler at Xoxide running passive now had three scythe ultra kaze s on it when i had this processor maxed out at a GHz OC but bearings all burnt out and I've had all BIOS settings back to stock for a good year or so DVD drive ASUS Model DRW- B ST BLK B AS X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg com since Mouse -http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Keyboard -http www ebay com itm Brand-New-in-Box-HP-PS- -Multimedia-Keyboard- - - - - - I've had this for probably years and it has outperformed gaming keyboards that I purchased at various points throughout that time to the extent that I returned all of them within a few days of receiving them Issues I've been having -Randomly freezes mouse and keyboard lights turn off HDDs silent computer unresponsive -BSODs or partially loaded UI then auto-shutdown upon waking computer from sleep from the night before -The other day it hard froze when copying a large amount of files from multiple HDDs onto my external hard drive which it's never done before -Today it BSOD'd at around optimizing defragging with Auslogics Disk Defrag -It's been randomly freezing and being an otherwise grumpy little b for a few months -Can't get into the User Accounts control panel menu without the computer auto-restarting no BSOD Haven't tried it in a couple of days though -others I can't think of at the moment Some Stuff I've done to try to fix it -I read somewhere that CPUCool messes with the drivers when installed and it can mess some stuff up I ha... Read more

Relevancy 80.41%

Hi Beepingcomputer I m at my wits end and I m hoping someone here knows an answer I m averagely tech savvy and have asked several friends in the IT industry yet no solution has been found The situation has been this My computer will randomly reset itself and reboot from DOS and intervals at Reset Hard random Continuous back to windows again Continuous Hard Reset at random intervals These intervals would range from mins from startup to hours or more so they are completely random This has been happening for year now VERY ANNOYING Recently the intervals have been getting shorter and shorter to the point where my computer will reset upon - min of start up after hitting windows guaranteed I get no error messages or indications that it is about to happen Normally I d jump on the OVERHEATING bandwagon but the strange thing is my computer DOES NOT reset EVER if I am playing a graphics intensive Video Game battlefield to name one It ONLY resets if I m not really doing anything intensive such as word processing or browsing the web or watching a movie All these simple tasks will cause my computer to reset after a random time period Anything where my CPU GPU churns into motion prevents these resets This I cannot explain A problem which also happens and I feel might be related to cause this is that if I ever SHUTDOWN my computer it will not boot windows cannot load And I have to system restore to get my computer to run again So I have never hit the shutdown button in a long time Over the period of I have tried so many solutions to no avail and I was hoping someone would give me some new ideas on how I can approach this problem Any ideas on how to diagnose the root of this problem I can post everything I ve tried but that would take forever Cheers Skasian P S I want to fix it myself but I have no idea where to start what else I can try

A:Continuous Hard Reset at random intervals

When you say "reset" I assume you mean it reboots? Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/431314/continuous-hard-reset-at-random-intervals/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello,

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 on my custom built PC. Since doing so I have random freezes that allow me to do nothing other than hard reset the computer. There is no particular time that it does it, and it has mostly been noticed while either on the desktop or using Firefox.

Attached you will find the files from the Seven Forums Diagnostics Tool.

A:Random Computer Freeze Requiring Hard Reset

Welcome to the forums Watson1,

Code:
BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa80045668f8, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD

Code:
Usual causes: Hardware, Incompatibility, May be driver corruption

Code:
2: kd> !errrec fffffa80045668f8
===============================================================================
Common Platform Error Record @ fffffa80045668f8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Id : 01ce6f6c49e47881
Severity : Fatal (1)
Length : 928
Creator : Microsoft
Notify Type : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp : 6/22/2013 17:17:00 (UTC)
Flags : 0x00000002 PreviousError

Section 0 : Processor Generic
Descriptor @ fffffa8004566978
Section @ fffffa8004566a50
Offset : 344
Length : 192
Flags : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity : Fatal

Proc. Type : x86/x64
Instr. Set : x64
Error Type : BUS error
Operation : Generic
Flags : 0x00
Level : 3
CPU Version : 0x0000000000100f53
Processor ID : 0x0000000000000000

Section 1 : x86/x64 Processor Specific
Descriptor @ fffffa80045669c0
Section @ fffffa8004566b10
Offset : 536
Length : 128
Flags : 0x00000000

Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000
CPU Id : 53 0f 10 00 00 08 04 00 - 09 20 80 00 ff fb 8b 17
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Proc. Info 0 @ fffffa8004566b10

Section 2 : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor @ fffffa8004566a08
Section @ fffffa8004566b90
Offset : 664
Length : 264
Flags : 0x00000000

Error : BUSLG_GENERIC_ERR_*_TIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)
The first parameter or argument has the value of 0x0, which is a Machine Check Exception, which means the CPU has detected a hardware problem and the address points to a processor error because the CPU has found one, so it could be a different form of hardware which is causing the issue.

We can see that the CPU detected a Timeout Error, but wasn't able to identify what caused the error.

In such a situation, it is best to use these steps:Hardware - Stress Test With Prime95
Enable "Round off checking" before the test (see first post below tutorial).
Stop 0x124 - what it means and what to try
All the hardware seeming to be running stable and tests reporting no errors, could mean a bad motherboard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side Notes:

Although these steps are not strictly related to the issue, these steps will help to avoid any BSODs in the future.

You seem to have only 88 Windows Updates installed, I currently have 206 Windows Updates installed, please check for any Windows Updates and install all the listed Important, Recommended and Optional updates (ignore anything associated with Bing).Start
Type: Windows Update
Check for Updates/Install Updates
Reboot (if prompted)
Remove:

Code:
Start Menu\Programs\AVG
AVG is known to cause BSODs with Windows 7, please remove the program completely with the AVG Removal Tool, and then install these free and proven alternatives which work best with Windows 7, due to their lightweight nature on system resources and compatibility.

Install and perform full scans with:Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download
Microsoft Security Essent... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/294869-random-computer-freeze-requiring-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello hard sound, + blank screen Random no reset community My first setup Motherboard AsRock M A GXH M AMD GX CPU AMD Phenom II x AM Black Edition Random blank screen + no sound, hard reset BOX GPU BFG GeForce GTX OC MAXCORE RAM GB x GoodRam GB DDR MHz CL HDD RAID HDD overall FULL HD Monitors WLAN USB TP-LINK TL-WN N PSU OCZ OCZ ModXStream Pro W Case Cooler Master Centurion ----------------------- Basically I do some D stuff Random blank screen + no sound, hard reset on my PC and play Fifa series and League of Random blank screen + no sound, hard reset Legends Never had problems with my setup till few months ago While I was playing League of Legends or Fifa I started to have random blank screens no input detected and also I lost sound in that moment PC was still running and the only thing I could do was to press power for seconds to shut it down It could have happened after games or games I also were losing internet connection while playing and only while playing other devices at home had internet all the time I have always had good temps on everything but since I don t care about details in game I pulled out my GPU this Mobo got integrated AMD Radeon HD No matter which input I used on this Radeon HD HDMI VGA or DVI VGA I still had random disconnects from home network and I know that this usb wlan is good checked it on other PCs at home it looked like it was overheating or something but I never had any extraordinary temps on HWMonitor I decided to change my motherboard to ASUS M A -M EVO I put my GPU back again and problems were still occuring blank screen no sound hard reset At that time I was sure that my GPU is broken I started to play games on integrated Radeon HD and boom blank screen no sound again I had random USB problems as well my Tablet WLAN or mouse dc once in a while USB doesn t work I have ASMedia drivers from asus website I have all the latest drivers never OCed Now I have blank screen no sound situations even when not playing but when I leave PRIME for hrs testing errors warnings I don t want to buy new GPU cause I am not sure if it s broken for real and I probably have good Mobos Is it the PSU What should I do Looking for help and sorry english is not my native language nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/random-blank-screen-no-sound-hard-reset.1079220/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi all I've been having this problem for quite some time now I would say a year or more where my computer completely freezes up without any prompting It's quite frustrating to diagnose since it happens on such a random basis -there seems to be no trend as to what kind of programs I have running what kind of things I am using it for etc Sometimes it happens when I'm just browsing the net other times it happens when I just have some files up ie not memory intensive tasks -today it even happened when I put a USB stick in I am at a complete loss as to what might be the cause I have already deleted some old programs that I'm not using but that hasn't seemed to have done anything I've done a disk cleanup and run a scan for viruses The freeze can only be resolved with a hard restart which I know is not good for the computer I've already had to do this some or so times already I've attached the event viewer taken computer reset requiring Random freeze hard about - minutes after the last freeze I had the one when it froze after I put my USB stick in Any help or advice at all would be much appreciated

A:Random computer freeze requiring hard reset

tactilation,

please refer to here:
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289748-random-computer-freeze-requiring-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hey guys wasn't really sure what category to post this thread in So this has been going on for quite some time now when I am streaming videos browsing the internet or playing really low intensity reset requiring coloured screen hard Crashing random to games like minecraft or indie games my computer will crash to a random coloured screen I assume taking the colour from some element of whatever on screen and will project a horrible sound from the speakers I Crashing to random coloured screen requiring hard reset assume a very short loop of the last sounds of what was playing and I am forced to hard reset the computer sometimes it wont happen for a couple of days and then other times it will happen times a day it totally varies with no Crashing to random coloured screen requiring hard reset apparent cause It has a brand new Crashing to random coloured screen requiring hard reset hard drive ram and PSU and the graphics card is fairly recent the mother board and CPU are a couple years old but I can't see this being a hardware issue down to the fact that there seems to be no apparent cause for this issue if the hardware was strictly faulty then im sure it would die in high intensity tasks but it has almost never crashed when playing something like battlefield or the new DOOM game at max settings so that doesn't seem to be the case I also can't see it being an over heating issue as the computer runs quite cool All of my drivers are up to date and this has happend across multiple versions of graphics driver updates Im honestly out of answers I have read countless forums of people suffering with the exact same problem to no ressolve and have tried a rediculous amount of things just about everything you could possibly do yet still found nothing I thought id try to make a post to see if anyone could help me before I give up and take it to the computer store All help is much appreciated Thank you

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/67239-crashing-random-coloured-screen-requiring-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello So my Toshiba Satellite L D-S running Windows Ultimate -bit has been having random crashes that require a hard reset and I cannot figure out why And as hard requiring screen black crashes reset Random to of today the crashes have progressed to just appearing as though there was no battery and I pulled the plug on the laptop It happens completely out of the blue and I can be doing anything from browsing YouTube to gaming or Random crashes to black screen requiring hard reset just leave the laptop idle and it will still crash While gaming the CPU rarely reaches C before I crash and I have tried two different batteries and power supplies original ones the came with the laptop and ones I purchased from the company as extras a few months after receiving the laptop with no difference I have also tested four separate RAM sticks two gb and two gb and the same crashing still occurs Any insight as to why my laptop keeps crashing Thank you Joshdog My Specs Windows Ultimate -bit SP AMD K nm Technology GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - TOSHIBA NALAE Socket M S G Generic Random crashes to black screen requiring hard reset PnP Monitor x Hz MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD Series Toshiba GB TOSHIBA MQ ABD SATA Disk Device SATA C HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT N SATA CdRom Device Realtek High Definition Audio

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/random-crashes-to-black-screen-requiring-hard-reset-1011418.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hey guys wasn't really sure what category to post this thread in So this has been going on for quite some time now when I am streaming videos browsing the internet or playing really low intensity games like minecraft or indie games my computer will crash to a random coloured screen I assume taking the colour from some element of whatever on screen and will project a horrible sound from Crashing to coloured hard reset requiring random screen the speakers I assume a very short loop of the last Crashing to random coloured screen requiring hard reset sounds of what was playing and I am forced to hard reset the computer sometimes it wont happen for a couple of days and then other times it will happen times a day it totally varies with no apparent cause It has a brand new hard drive ram and PSU and the graphics card is fairly recent the mother board and CPU are a couple years old but I can't see this being a hardware issue down to the fact that there seems to be no apparent cause for this issue if the hardware was strictly faulty then im sure it would die in high intensity tasks but it has almost never crashed when playing something like battlefield or the new DOOM game at max settings so that doesn't seem to be the case I also can't see it being an over heating issue as the computer runs quite cool All of my drivers are up to date and this has happend across multiple versions of graphics driver updates Im honestly out of answers I have read countless forums of people suffering with the exact same problem to no ressolve and have tried a rediculous amount of things just about everything you could possibly do yet still found nothing I thought id try to make a post to see if anyone could help me before I give up and take it to the computer store All help is much appreciated Thank you

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/67239-crashing-random-colored-screen-requiring-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hey there folks, I've skimmed the forums and didn't see much that fit the issue i'm having. I bought a Asus g750 about two weeks ago. Three days after getting it up and running my laptop will hard freeze randomly about once every 1-2 days. It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. I've ran a stress test on both the CPU and the GPU, both seemed to fall in normal ranges. The hard freeze typically occurs when I'm not doing anything heavy. Mostly when I am just sitting around typing on skype or doing homework while listening to spotify.

It is under warranty I could send it back. However, I cannot afford to lose it before this semester is over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Random hard freezing, not sure why.

Originally Posted by TheBB

Hey there folks, I've skimmed the forums and didn't see much that fit the issue i'm having. I bought a Asus g750 about two weeks ago. Three days after getting it up and running my laptop will hard freeze randomly about once every 1-2 days. It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. I've ran a stress test on both the CPU and the GPU, both seemed to fall in normal ranges. The hard freeze typically occurs when I'm not doing anything heavy. Mostly when I am just sitting around typing on skype or doing homework while listening to spotify.

It is under warranty I could send it back. However, I cannot afford to lose it before this semester is over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As I don't have to tell you, a system that's two weeks old should not be freezing up. However, a couple or three questions:

Have you added any new software? Been surfing the Internet? Clicked on anything that pops up to say you need to "install this or uninstall that"? Been somewhere on the Internet that didn't look safe, so you backed out? And, finally, been somewhere you maybe shouldn't have? Like to get a deal on software that's just too good to be true . . . You'd be surprised how many folks fall for this one.

Have you been to the Asus site? ASUS Click on Support and it will take you to ASUS Service | North America

I went there and it seems I need to Login or Register before I can get help, so it looks like it's up to you. BTW, from what I see, this is a pretty nice rig (came up on the Asus home page slide show).

I did notice that there's a chat feature in the service section, so that may be an option.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/43823-random-hard-freezing-not-sure-why.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi All,
With your help I was recently able to diagnose a faulty video card on my system that was causing a blank screen crash as soon as I logged into winodws. I've replaced the videocard, and now there's another problem - the machine randomly freezes. I've noticed it happening more often when i'm using the internet. It crashed as I was browsing with google chrome. Not quite sure if that was necessary for the crash, since it's what happens mostly on this machine. I've run a memory diagnostic and that came up clean. I've completely reformatted the hard drive, reinstalled Windows 7 x64, and downloaded all the necessary Windows Updates. The problem persists! I'm attaching a BSOD report, even though I'm not sure if It'll have any information regarding the freeze.

Thanks!

A:Random total freezing during internet use, needs hard reboot

SP1 isn't installed, please do the following:

Quote:
Installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1
1. Visit the PC manufacturer's website and update ALL drivers. DO NOT use Windows Update or the "Update drivers" function of Device Manager.
2. Check Device Manager for any unknown/disabled devices - if there are unknown/disabled devices, fix them with the latest drivers from the device manufacturer's website (not the PC Manufacturer)
3. Visit Windows Update and get all updates (may take repeated visits)
4. Visit Windows Update and get Service Pack 1 (usually under Important Updates). Read these notes for installing SP1: Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 from the Microsoft Download Center
NOTE: For Vista, read these notes:

Quote:
Read these notes for installing Vista SP1: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Read these notes for installing Vista SP2: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2)

5. Visit Windows Update and get any other available updates. May take repeated visits, but keep it up until you get several "Windows is updated" results.
If you're having difficulties with installing a Service Pack, please use the SURTool from this link: What is the System Update Readiness Tool?
Also, check out this troubleshooting link from Microsoft: Troubleshoot problems installing Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

I have had limited success in installing updates/Service Packs when using a "clean boot". I suspect that I'm just bypassing the problem - and that it can come back to bite me in the butt later on.

Try other browsers to see if you can blame it on just one browswer - or on all of them.

Quote:
Event[131]:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-HAL
Date: 2012-07-14T08:40:31.459
Event ID: 12
Task: N/A
Level: Error
Opcode: Info
Keyword: N/A
User: N/A
User Name: N/A
Computer: Beta
Description:
The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.

Try updating your BIOS

I got lucky finding this one:

Quote:
Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 2012-07-13T14:34:02.000
Event ID: 1001
Task: N/A
Level: Information
Opcode: Info
Keyword: Classic
User: N/A
User Name: N/A
Computer: 37L4247E29-32
Description:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: PnPDriverNotFound
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: x64
P2: ACPI\ATK0110
P3:
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Windows\Temp\DMI4E7C.tmp.log.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_x64_7b90e53f6497da36d01d2c8167badd75493 30a6_cab_04b54eda

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 51313f60-cd19-11e1-949e-916c36d90f58
Report Status: 6

Have you reinstalled the Asus ATK0110 ACPI Utility driver recently? If not, please do so.

If this helps at all - but the problem persists - please generate a new set of jcgriff2 reports.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/240938-random-total-freezing-during-internet-use-needs-hard-reboot.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Recently my computer has been occasionally freezing while I've been browsing online. It doesn't actually get to the point of BSOD but programs will stop working and I eventually won't be able to close or open anything, including task manager.

I tried running CHKDSK to see if that could fix things, (it has crashed since then unfortuantely), doing so somehow filled up my hard drive. I went from having around 700 GB free to only having a couple hundred MBs free. I tried this two more times.

I've attached the dump log as requested as well as the three logs of the CHKDSK that I found in event viewer.

Thanks!

A:Random Freezing Lenovo Y580, Possible Hard Drive errors

Code:
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
Cleaning up instance tags for file 0x1bead.
451328 file records processed.

File verification completed.
807 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

60 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
580808 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
451328 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 604 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 604 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 604 unused security descriptors.
Security descriptor verification completed.
64741 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
35120152 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
451312 files processed.

File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
163805741 free clusters processed.

Free space verification is complete.
Adding 163790195 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

961739479 KB total disk space.
305751440 KB in 362629 files.
182668 KB in 64742 indexes.
655160780 KB in bad sectors.
582411 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
62180 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
240434869 total allocation units on disk.
15545 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
00 e3 06 00 63 85 06 00 17 44 0b 00 00 00 00 00 ....c....D......
58 16 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 X...<...........
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.
"

Code:
Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Information 6/6/2014 9:55:21 PM Microsoft-Windows-Wininit 1001 None "

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
451328 file records processed.

File verification completed.
919 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

0 EA records processed.

60 reparse records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
580830 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered.

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
451328 file SDs/SIDs processed.

Cleaning up 9 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 9 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 9 unused security descriptors.
Security descri... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/334138-random-freezing-lenovo-y580-possible-hard-drive-errors.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Half life freezes whenever I go to a server that has AMX Mod X installed. It freezes whenever admins say stuff on the server useing amx_say. It also crashed when I downloaded Sven Coop for half life. It froze during installation. And also what I hate is that when I got my 128mb graphics card and updated the drivers, Half life sorce and Half life 2 wont work they refuse
to load.

Relevancy 71.81%

Hi I am in the process of doing a clean re-install of Windows XP for Home on my PC I have hard drives c gb Maxtor SATA drive - bootable with Windows seeing Hard - Problems, drive new not Bootup Drive hard Help Windows required Options XP existing Windows install d gb Maxtor IDE drive Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options - non bootable data drive g gb Maxtor IDE drive - bootable with the clean install of Windows XP for home on it Windows is not seeing all the sizes quite right yet but I will tackle that when I have solved Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options this major problem that follows If I boot from the C drive - I have no problems at all Windows will see all the different drives as it should do I can access them all and they all work fine When I come to boot the clean install on drive G windows changes the drive letters - G becomes C D remains as D but the gb Maxtor SATA drive isn t Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options seen at all and might as well not exist Disk Management within Windows is no help as it can t see the drive Maxtor software MaxBlast is also no help as it can t see the drive on this install either I have checked and rechecked the BIOS but have pretty much discounted any issues here as it clearly shows all drives and all drives are listed on boot up It s just when Windows kicks in that I have the problem I guess it s a simple setting somewhere but I am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to think what it is - so any ideas would be very gratefully received Thanks in advance and kind regards Stuart nbsp

A:Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options

Hi
This is what I would do to enhance performance and storage strategy:

1. Use the 20g for the os and housekeeping utes such as av, spyware, etc only, nothing else goes on that drive.
2. Use the 160g for apps installs.
3. Use the 200g for data.

This might get you past the bios/firmware/os/drive letter issue and make better use of the drives. The 20 isn't really good for storage anymore, but would be great for an os/system ute drive. It's performance is less than the other drives, but that's ok, most of the os will stay in ram anyway after boot, you won't make any real diff having a faster os drive.
You might want to place a pagefile on each drive so pageing can occur concurrently too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-bootup-problems-help-required-windows-not-seeing-new-hard-drive-options.34935/
Relevancy 69.23%

I have a Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and i am trying to factory reset to the default settings again because of the stupid problems i am having on the tablet.
Here is the problem i am trying to get into the BIOS which is the 1 step on the Acer website but for some bizarre reason when it is completely off i press the Windows button and the power button to get in to the BIOS as it says on the Acer Website but it keeps going to the start menu/desktop now instead of going to the BIOS. :/
I have factory reset/hard reset on my Acer Iconia W700 a couple times and i never had this problem before, i gone in to the BIOS no problem!!!
Can someone help me please?? Thanks!!!

A:Windows 8 tablet factory reset/hard reset problem!!! HELP!!

Is it still under warranty? You should try contacting Acer.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/397817-windows-8-tablet-factory-reset-hard-reset-problem-help.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I am not exactly sure random freezing followed and long required consistency very at up start by checks what my problem is but this is what is occurring Starting yesterday my computer has been freezing at random The screen does not go black and I can still move the mouse around but no folders or programs will open when it occurs Usually it is itunes or my internet browser firefox that will completely stop One example was I had no programs running other than itunes playing music and the computer froze mid song After these freezes occur it takes my computer a very long time to start up compared to how it has ran in the past My computer then does a consistency check to check on disk consistency I allow it to do so I do not think I have installed any new programs or downloaded anything just before these issues started occurring Sorry if this is not descriptive enough but this is all I can think to share thank you for your time

A:freezing at random followed by very long start up and required consistency checks

Hi .Two things I would do...Uninstall iTunes completely and see how that impacts your system. You can reinstall it later, but it's possible that it is damaged and thereby dragging your system down.I would run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html , disregard the fact that they refer to chkdsk /f, run chkdsk /r (the /f function is part of /r).Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/374265/freezing-at-random-followed-by-very-long-start-up-and-required-consistency-checks/
Relevancy 67.51%

hi,i wanted to know if hard reset and factory reset are the same things?my laptop won't turn on and i found out that i can hard reset that, but i do not want any of my data on hard disk to be erased. is it possible?(i've shut it down before so there is no data on RAM)thanks in advance.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:are hard reset and factory reset the same thing?

Hi, No, factory reset will bring your machine back to facory status (the time opening the box) byt hard reset won't. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/are-hard-reset-and-factory-reset-the-same-thing/td-p/5676772
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a Western Digital 160 GB that I purchased in 2006. I am wondering if that is getting near the end-life of it or is there a such thing? Thanks,

A:Hard Drive Life

The life of the hard drive is dependent on a number of factors
The quality of the HD
The amount of use
and
The type of use. For example do you turn the computer off properly?
I had my Windows 98 from 2000-2008. Finally, I had to get another computer, but not because of the Hard Drive, that was working as good as the day I bought it.
You may want to test the drive.
Harddrive scan usings SeaTools - SeaTools for Windows | Seagate - Both long and short tests

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/214640-hard-drive-life.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hello Eight Forums I need some advice regarding my laptop's internal hard drive WD GB I recently started getting I O Device Errors when reading copying or writing certain files to my HD or any external mass storage device It started with winRAR extraction errors then went on to file copying downloading and DVD burning All of these applications either terminate file operations abruptly informing me that a file cannot be accessed because of an I O error Curious enough I installed CrystalDisk Info and saw that my HDD's health was on WARNING The application pointed out errors on my HD's Reallocated and Pending Sectors count However Windows 's CHKDSK reported no problems on the drive which confused me as the results were contradicting I then uninstalled CrystalDisk and replaced it with HDTune HDTune its near end life? my the hard of Is drive also gave me a WARNING health status Here is a screenshot Windows also started to experience great Disk Usage spikes even when its idle This is a recurring scenario and greatly affects my PC's Is my hard drive near the end of its life? performance Is my hard drive failing Is there Is my hard drive near the end of its life? a way for me to save my HDD's life I have all my files backed up to an external drive ever since this issue existed and I'm afraid that this may be the start of my HDD's end of life Is there any tool at all that can help me at least isolate the bad sectors and prevent Windows from writing data on them I don't care if it shrinks my hard drive space as long as it solves the issue Thank you Eight Forums

A:Is my hard drive near the end of its life?

Yes, and it will get worse. I would suggest that you save all your personall data and replace the HD and it would be nice is you can replace with an SSD, the performance will be greatly improved.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/56217-my-hard-drive-near-end-its-life.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Windows XP Professional Service Pack build gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache WDC WD BB- FTA Hard drive GB -- drive s n WD-WMAET rev and Multiple drive clicking, hard drive freezing errors, hard boot R SMART Status Healthy Hard drive Just a few weeks ago my hard drive started clicking and suddenly my system froze The drive wasn't dropped bumped or anything like that It was fairly new as well I was having some issues accessing my files AND I couldn't access the internet through any browsers Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing I was connected could play internet-using games but got no reply from websites I decided to reformat Well that didn't go so well Reformatting did not fix the freezing issue nor did it fix the internet issue I attempted to reformat the partition on C but it Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing simply wouldn't let me Hard drive I pulled out a newish hard drive and formatted it installed my applications and continued on my way Everything was working great until a day later when the hard drive AGAIN froze in the middle of a session and this time I couldn't even boot I was getting a boot error that mentioned not receiving a boot file name I went into the windows repair console and did a chkdsk which turned up Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing a few errors and attempted to recover them I assume I could now boot but random freezing would still take place now and then and EVERY DAY I have to access the repair console due to boot errors Almost every other attempt to boot results in freezing before startup not being able to access the boot file or a blue screen of death So I Hard drive Same things happening I must have reformatted at least times by now and I'm beginning to give strange looks at my motherboard The computer seems to DECIDE when to work and not work When it doesn't boot the hard drive makes a constant clicking noise This next part will sound bad after getting boot errors all day I walked down stairs to find some new hardware When I got back up my cat had knocked the hard drive which was disconnected and outside of the computer onto the wooden floor It's a foot drop so I was getting worried I plugged it in and tried to star what do you know Here I am Now I'm certain it's only a matter of time before it freezes again The thing is freezing usually occurs when I'm running one or more programs at a time The computer is going incredibly slow at the moment Is it a certain program that is messing up my registry or would it be a problem with my motherboard dontknow

A:Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing

Try installing another operating system onto the disk and seeing if that crashes as well. If it doesn't you probably have a bad Windows cd. I suggest trying Kubuntu, a version of Linux meant to look somewhat like Windows (You can click here to skip directly to the download page). Just remember to actually install the thing. Most Linux operating systems can be ran directly from the cd without any need to be installed onto a hard disk. There's usually a program on the desktop that will install the system for you. If it runs properly for a week or two, get a new Windows disk. If it crashes just as much as Windows did, get a new computer.

Also, how much RAM does your computer have? If it's very low (256-512 megs or less) it can sometimes cause these kinds of crashes too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/multiple-hard-drive-boot-errors-hard-drive-clicking-and-freezing-374232.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Is there an average life expectancy for HDs? I bought a Dell XPS 600 in 2006. For the past year it's been sounding like a windstorm just doing ordinary jobs--really laboring. Recently I had a boot problem that could not be resolved, so I'm going to have to reformat and reload Windows. But I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't bother and should just get a new HD. Should I expect my HD to fail after 5 years of (hard) work?

Thanks!
k.

A:Hard Drive Life Expectancy

Download CrystalDiskInfo http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html
Run it and it will tell you your HD internal status... if on 05 and C5 you have number large then 1 then you need to be careful...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-life-expectancy.991780/
Relevancy 65.36%

I've read somewhere that flash drives have a max number of read/writes before they start becoming unreliable. Does this apply to USB external hard drives? I'm asking this because I want to defrag my external HDD but am afraid it will shorten its life.

Thanks.

A:Question about life of external hard drives

Mechanical hard drives are going to wear out or glitch and fail at some point...hopefully not for years and years, but there are no guarantees. An occasional defragmentation is not going to affect that failure rate to any appreciable degree.
You protect your data by always having at least 2 copies.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-life-of-external-hard-drives.1007594/
Relevancy 65.36%

In the latest PC Advisor magazine, there is an article about checking the life of SSDs (see page 115).
My problem is that my SSD drive appears to have no name (or even the name of the manufacturer), and I can find no software on the PC which might enable me to check the life-span usage of this disc.My SSD is a 250Gb disc, and is used for programs / emails only. All data is on a standard 2 Tb hard drive.
A bit of clarification by PC Advisor would be VERY welcome!

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/ssd-hard-drives-life-time-test-how-4610019/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a hard drive that just suddenly stopped turning on last night. Is there any way I can clean it or do something to bring it back?

A:How to bring a hard drive back to life

You could try the freezer trick trick in a plastic ziplock for an hour or so. It's not a permanent solution, only to get some files off until it dies again.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/110320-3/how_to_troubleshoot_the_worst_pc_disasters.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-bring-a-hard-drive-back-to-life.783479/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi!

I would like to ask how can i preserve my hdds to increase their life expectancy (if this possible...) cause i have tons of gigas of multimedia on them! I know i can also backup them for cds and dvds but there is always a chance of doing this, right?

How many years could they last if they are well preserved????

So, is there any suggestion ? I have a 2 fan akasa thing on each hdd and dont know if this will help or not.

I have got WDJ, Seagates, Maxtor and Hitachi.

Thanks!

A:Hard drive life expectancy - archiving

You shouldn't rely on any HD life expectancy estimates. If you have sensitive data then you should consider every hard drive as something that will fail tomorrow (and that's exactly how it is - your brand new HD may die tomorrow no matter the "life expectancy"). Make a RAID array out of your disks and backup often. If you have a lot of data then you may consider a tape device for backups - a 200GB tape for some $30 is a lot cheaper and faster than a pile of DVD-R discs.

You could go and look up the MTBF statistics for your specific hard drives (good luck). MTBF is almost never quoted by HD makers for consumer devices for obvious reasons so you should pretend to be a corporate customer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-life-expectancy-archiving.30984/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi All,

I am trying to upgrade the hard drive which has my operating system on it.
I disconnect all drives except the one which has the operating system and the new drive which will replace the old one.
I use Norton ghost to copy from the old to the new but when i connect the new drive only it does not boot into windows.
I beleive i have to make the partition of the new drive as active but at what stage do i have to do this?
Do i just have the new drive plugged in and then change the drive to active?
Can someone please explain exactly what i need to do.

Cheers

A:Upgrading hard drive help required

Yes it has to be active. And is ghost copying the system reserve partition to the new drive ?
Also you may want to try doing a startup repair with your install disc up to 3 times.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/212371-upgrading-hard-drive-help-required.html
Relevancy 63.64%

i'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and its working great , lately i wanted to install windows 7 alongside Ubuntu because there's no itunes on it, the problem is W7 can detect my Hard Disk and it says a driver is required ,thought that W7 has all the sata drivers ,i've installed W7 a millions times before but never seen this message .
please ! i need some help !

Hp Probook 4510s

A:hard disk driver required while installing W7

Windows needs to be installed before Linux.

The best two ways of running Linux with Windows on one Hd drive.
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu
Linux - Install on Windows 7 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/198167-hard-disk-driver-required-while-installing-w7.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I was recommend this site and wanted to see if I could find some help I have an external hard drive I store my files all my stuff since I got a computer in I have on this hard drive I m in FL and we re having all these storms and I was wondering when the power went out if that had something to do with it but I haven t looked at my hard drive in days so not sure but it s been plugged in and connected to my pc for over Worth Years Crazy...Help...10 Drive Went Hard Lost :( External My Life of week so it happened within the week My disk drive name is when I click properties Buffalo external hdd usb device It s working the light indicator is on but when I enter the drive all my files have disappeared and replaced with strange ones I never seen or understand when I External Hard Drive Went Crazy...Help...10 Years Worth of My Life Lost :( put the cursor over the icon for my disk drive in quot my computer quot it still shows the amount of space my files are taking up and it s the same amount it s always been but they re not showing up My files have disappeared and now replaced with three one is quot m quot and another is quot n quot and the other is named quot gt gt C quot and the C has that French letter on it that I cannot do on this computer and then there s icons that look like sheets of paper and when I right click to see what kind it is it justs says quot type - file quot and they re named one just a dot quot quot two have weird symbols with symbols and the others are named quot quot quot m quot quot t quot and two both named quot s quot There s also another that looks like a word pad icon with a wheel named quot autorun quot when I click these icons I get the box asking me what program I want to use to open them but I don t even know what they are or what s going on so I don t know and when I click the auto run a window opens says quot Autorun icon Icon ico quot The files when I click quot gt gt C quot I get red x warning quot location is not available the filename directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect quot For both the quot m and n files quot I get red x quot location is not available it could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted or that you are connected to the Internet or your network and then try again If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location quot My external hard drive is gb and I had mb more or less free space and it still shows that when I place cursor but everything is gone My computer is Dell Inspiron I got in or I think it is Windows Vista I tried putting the disk drive on another computer and it s does the same thing nbsp

A:External Hard Drive Went Crazy...Help...10 Years Worth of My Life Lost :(

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-went-crazy-help-10-years-worth-of-my-life-lost.1058583/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a Maxtor D X- L gb drive but there are no details marked on the drive casing for me to enter into the BIOS The BIOS shows most items as AUTO and everything works details Solved: required Maxtor hard drive OK but I need to enter the drive details into the BIOS because when I use Acronis TI I cannot make a Solved: Maxtor hard drive details required drive restore when using the TI startup disk as it says it cannot find any hard drives When I exit TI the PC starts normally I figured that if I fed the drive details into the BIOS instead of AUTO it might enable TI to see the hard drive at TI startup I have Googled the drive but I cannot find the relevant details as required by the BIOS namely - cylinders head sector CHS capacity Maximum LBA capacity although I think the last two might be automatic currently shown as mb Usually this kind of information is marked on the drive itself but not in this case Can anybody advise please johnni nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I have a HP Pavilion ze4908us model. The hard disc drive crapped out for the last time and I have to replace it. Sadly, I'm not well educated on hard drive specs.

What do I need to know in order to buy a new one? I looked for drives that claimed to support "ze4900 notebooks" but meanwhile I know nothing of the technicalities. So I'm actually clueless.

The hard drive says "replace with 37177-0017F0494. As though that would help me.

It also reads "Toshiba 04125H".

Relevancy 62.78%

Windows XP Computer Q GHx GB Ram Memmory GB T drive has never been the same since my mother clicked on a link in her aol email while visiting my office hard required freezes, Computer and reboot XP slow My PC tools picked up XP Computer slow and freezes, hard reboot required the virus and I XP Computer slow and freezes, hard reboot required got rid of it but the computer is supper slow freezes when I leave on overnight mostly to do maintenance sometimes during the day I have to shut off if I try to do very many tasks at the same time I have been putting up with this for months but it has gotten worse I ve tried the following Chkdsk - no errors defragged Perfect Disk PC Tools Virus Scan used PC Tools Registry Mechanic - but it kept screwing up my Netextender VPN logins so I uninstalled Registry Mechanic and purchased Uniblue Power Suite - Registry Booster SpeedupMyPC Driver Scanner I have been updating windows and my drivers are up to date The computer is running faster not normal but still needing to hard reboot from freezes mainly because I have searchindexer off I do regular scans with PC Tools Before Uniblue I kept having a lot more processes running I have searched the internet for each item in my startup and started searching all the running processes and found I might be infected with something through the svchost exe and also BDTUpdateService exe Short of switching all the software I use for business onto my new Windows Computer I started trying to resolve this computers problems and found hope by reading some of your posts on this website I look forward to instructions what do I do next Thanks

A:XP Computer slow and freezes, hard reboot required

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Computer,
Please follow the steps here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44694.html . If the issue presists or if you have any problems please respond back here.

Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/413682/xp-computer-slow-and-freezes-hard-reboot-required/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a rather old maybe or years Toshiba Can't Screen Required Shutdown ALT+CTRL+DEL, Freezes, Hard Portege laptop that runs Vista For the past month or so I've been experiencing random freezes The Screen Freezes, Can't ALT+CTRL+DEL, Hard Shutdown Required screen becomes completely unresponsive and I can't even put the laptop into sleep mode I have to hold the power button down do a hard shutdown and start the laptop up again Sometimes when I do that I get an error message that the operating system couldn't be found The freezing often seems to Screen Freezes, Can't ALT+CTRL+DEL, Hard Shutdown Required happen when I'm loading a Screen Freezes, Can't ALT+CTRL+DEL, Hard Shutdown Required new page in my browser When I pull up task manager I also notice that CPU Usage jumps from the single digits to for seemingly no reason I'm not sure if that's normal or even related to my problem but am mentioning it just in case It usually seems to be Chrome or tskmgr that's causing the strain I've tried to be conscious of how many tabs I open in Chrome but the high CPU usage and the sudden freezing happen even if I only have a couple open I've also tried switching from Chrome to Firefox but that didn't help I've run virus scans Malware Bytes Kaspersky and some others but they all came back clean The freezing happens quite regularly The laptop might be fine all day and then it will freeze several times in a row A heat issue maybe The fan does run often but it always has I think I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on why it's happening and whether it's fixable I know my laptop is quite old so please don't feel you need to spend a bunch of time troubleshooting If there's a relatively simple and easily identifiable solution I'd love to hear about it Otherwise I can accept that I've gotten my use out of the machine and it's time for a replacement I'm attaching - SysnativeFileCollectionApp zip - The Perfmon scan I ran Reliability and Performance Monitor html zip - Admin zip Administrative Events log from Events Viewer - I saw it mentioned in another thread If I need to do any other scans please let me know Thanks in advance to anyone who's able to take a look at this for me nbsp SysnativeFileCollectionApp zip nbsp nbsp MB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp Reliability and Performance Monitor zip nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp Admin zip nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads Update I ran HWMonitor and I think the temps seem ok - nothing is higher than mid- s

A:Screen Freezes, Can't ALT+CTRL+DEL, Hard Shutdown Required

This is classic failing hard disk symptoms. Please download and run HDDScan, check the SMART test first, but then run a surface test (read only).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592664/screen-freezes-cant-altctrldel-hard-shutdown-required/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi Guys

I'm pretty sure the hard drive has failed on my laptop (windows loading screen just hangs).

Would this hard drive be compatible?
http://www.drivemylaptop.co.uk/LaptopDriveDetails.aspx?p=1949

Thanks as always
x

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compatible-hard-drive-required-toshiba-equium-l40-17m.952737/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello I recently about - months ago so not very recently upraded my system to Windows bit from Vista Ever since then my computer has had up, startup hard 30-40 reboot sec after Completely required locks from issues where it locks up completely unable to move the mouse whatever sound was playing at the time loops and a hard Completely locks up, hard reboot required after 30-40 sec from startup reboot is required in order to bring it back to order It usually wasn't a huge problem before but for some reason it willl now proceed to lock-up within about - seconds of booting up the computer after the desktop loads I tried disconnecting my second hard-drive I had bought a new one to install W on and kept the old one plugged in but that didn't make a difference It seems to boot fine in safemode but I have no idea what the problem could be Any help would be greatly appreciated System specs Operating System Windows Completely locks up, hard reboot required after 30-40 sec from startup Home Premium Completely locks up, hard reboot required after 30-40 sec from startup -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Processor AMD Phenom tm Quad-Core Processor CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Card name ATI Radeon HD Series I'm not sure what other specs you might need but if I've missed something please let me know Thanks

A:Completely locks up, hard reboot required after 30-40 sec from startup

A link to a post that might help you out: Windows 7 locks up after update. - Microsoft Answers

Failing that, I have another link: Disk Check

EDIT: Wrong information following, see my post below::
{And another (Do this one 3 times): Repair Install]

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/198609-completely-locks-up-hard-reboot-required-after-30-40-sec-startup.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello I upgraded my system to Windows bit from Windows Prior to the upgrade my computer had issues where it would occasionally lock up completely not responding to any keys even Ctrl-Alt-Del and unable to move the mouse and a hard Shut Down locks System 30-40 startup sec reboot up, after from required hard i e holding the Power Button down for a few seconds was required in order to bring it back to life It wasn't a huge problem before as it only happened once a week or so but for some reason it now locks up within - seconds of booting every time I power up the laptop following a Proper Shut Down procedure ever since upgrading to Win The odd thing is that it's okay following the power off hard shutdown but does it again after another proper shut down either by closing the lid or clicking System locks up, hard reboot required after 30-40 sec from startup on Settings System locks up, hard reboot required after 30-40 sec from startup Power Shut Down Any help would be greatly appreciated System specs OS Name Microsoft System locks up, hard reboot required after 30-40 sec from startup Windows Pro Version Build System Manufacturer Acer System Model Extensa System Type X -based PC System SKU Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual-Core Processor TK- Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date Phoenix Technologies LTD V SMBIOS Version Embedded Controller Version BIOS Mode Legacy BaseBoard Manufacturer Acer Platform Role Mobile Secure Boot State Unsupported PCR Configuration Binding Not Possible Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot quot Installed Physical Memory RAM GB Total Physical Memory GB Available Physical Memory MB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions No Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes I've attached the BSOD utility files for your review If I've missed something please let me know Thanks Ken Bell

A:System locks up, hard reboot required after 30-40 sec from startup

Welcome to Eight Forums kbell01.

There are no BSoD dump file in your zip folder, can you check your settings?
Dump Files - Configure Windows to Create on BSOD

After checking all the settings, upload any new crash dump files along with the complete SF_Diagnostic_Tool files.

From you information it is probably a hardware issue.

D/L and run the HGST Drive Fitness Test

Test the RAM with memtest86+, leave all RAM cards installed, run for a full 7 passes - best to run overnight.
If you get any errors your can stop the test.
RAM - Test with Memtest86+

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/9063-system-locks-up-hard-reboot-required-after-30-40-sec-startup.html
Relevancy 62.78%

As you can see I have 250GB of free space, but it fails when I try to extend the Storage1 B drive.

I also have tried creating a new partition with the unallocated space and I get the same response.

Also I'm having an issue deleting the partition right next to it, this is the error I get.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395776-extending-hard-drive-failed-not-enough-space-required.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Ever since installing windows 8 rtm i have had to use chrome which is ok but not ideal for me. Firefox has been crashing very very often on rtm. Also when it isnt crashing left and right it just flat out freezes and i have to wait a while for it to respond again. It did not do this on dev or consumer previews or windows 7. I have latest drivers for win8 from ati and all my other drivers are up to date as well. Why is Firefox doing this for me, any solutions? I already tried re installing the rtm fwiw

A:Random firefox freezing/crashing?

Same problem here, but on release preview.
Firefox version 15.

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/8924-random-firefox-freezing-crashing.html
Relevancy 62.35%

when using hardware buttons to perform hard reset it does'nt work. i cant reach recovery mode, the phone just powers on normally every time

A:why cant i do a hard reset

If you can't figure out the hardware keys, you can reset the phone through settings > about > reset my phone.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/443752-why-cant-i-do-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 62.35%

How do I do a hard reset on my hp lap top

A:How do I do a hard reset on my hp lap top

Hi: Here is a link with information for how to do a hard reset... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/How-do-I-do-a-hard-reset-on-my-hp-lap-top/td-p/5743314
Relevancy 62.35%

I need to run a hard reset on an Pavillion notebook as it won't start up at all/slowly. If I do this will it delete any saved files on the notebook as my daughter has all her exam work on it.Thx

A:Hard Reset

A reset will delete all of the files on the notebook. It is not a hard reset. that is something different. Have you tried booting to the usb recovery media that you should have created by now?If you do that, you can use Windows system restore to resolve the issue.  Do you see it below the Precautions heading in the image? Windows System refresh will also fix the issue without deleting any personal files.    

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Reset/td-p/5566689
Relevancy 62.35%

Im locked out of my phone, and Ive tried to do all the steps for a hard reset and it doesnt work.
Tried - Volume down and power the phone keeps cycleing through the boot up with an (!) on the screen
Tried - Volume down, Volume up, power off, no change

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439847-i-cant-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Will hard reset result in loss of valuable data (data in hard disk)?

A:Hard reset

No. A hard reset will not caue data loss.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-reset/td-p/5788091
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi

I have been having this problem for about a year now, I usually turn my external HD off (built my own with a WD hard drive and antec external case)

It will not show up after turning it on unless i reboot windows, I have gone into device manager and searched for new hardware but rarely that ever works.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks!

Relevancy 62.35%

HelloHard drive crashed, installed replacement. Trying to verify HDD in BIOS, and am stuck at the Administrator Password screen. Device: HP Pavilion Entertainment PC Laptop dv6OS: Eventually Win 7 again Error code: 54820996 Thanks for any help!

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Administrator BIOS password required after hard drive crash/...

@hp-laptop-noob? Enter   41788318 Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Administrator-BIOS-password-required-after-hard-drive-crash/td-p/5679396
Relevancy 62.35%

I plan to get an external hard drive (TOSHIBA PX1223EE-1G32, 320GB ).

What I want to do is to use Acronis True Image 9 to clone both my desktop and my laptop to the external drive, and then to do regular backups of the data on the desktop and the laptop, also on the external drive.

The external drive will be plenty big enough, but is it possible to have all this data living together happily and useably, in case of need?

Peter
UK

Relevancy 62.35%

Dear Forum,

I am just about to do a reboot and clean install.

I have had a procedure done yesterday and have not had much time to notice much.

What I have noticed is that ever since I changed the properties of the external USB Hard Disk Drives whilst the other computer was turned off - I have lost some data or something has happened.

I am sorry if it may be nothing. I am just stressing.

If someone could possibly talk me through what may have happened. It has crashed since and I am at a loss what to do.

I guess without anyone knowing what documents I have been working on - I have not been able to search much and dropped some data onto my large USB Hard Disk Drive.

Thank you

A:General Assistance Required - Lost volume on Hard Drive

I don't see any details about an actual problem or what we're supposed to be looking for. Help us help you by explaining the problem and we'll start from there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/277475-general-assistance-required-lost-volume-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello everybody I have HDD GB that I use for storing files downloads and games - all the stuff I don't need much Other is TB that holds disks GB system disk and remaining space for programs music documents - important stuff And the third is TB and I want it to be used as a backup HDD So what I want is to have a complete backup of system disk and important stuff and ignore the GB HDD Windows for image, required be system disk though shouldn't it Hard I set the backup Hard disk required for Windows system image, though it shouldn't be to be performed everyday at am since I don't turn off my PC Recently I noticed that system image started to require that GB disk I was wondering why All it has is a folder with one game that I didn't even install - just copied Hard disk required for Windows system image, though it shouldn't be and a Downloads folder I installed Dues Ex on this disk but removed since Can I somehow manually find the reson for this disk to be necessary for system image and eliminate it So what I need is to always have a most recent backup of one TB HDD on another TB HDD And it would be nice to have a system saved as well so if my HDD crashes I won't have to reinstall everything If this is too much to ask from Windows I guess I'll just have the files backed up without the system

A:Hard disk required for Windows system image, though it shouldn't be

Hello Pokrishka, and welcome to Seven Forums.

On the 1TB HDD that you want to use to save system images to, did you do any of the following:Move the page file to it, or set to have a page file on
Move any user folders to it
The HDD or a partition on the 1TB HDD is listed with "system" in Disk Management

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/186428-hard-disk-required-windows-system-image-though-shouldnt.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi guys after P45 hard doesn't Platinum wake required sleeping, reboot MSI first post here MSI P45 Platinum doesn't wake after sleeping, hard reboot required I was highly impressed with some of the deeply technical answers on this site so I'm hoping someone can help me narrow down to the cause of this issue I have and possibly help me learn something about system software and firmware MSI P45 Platinum doesn't wake after sleeping, hard reboot required So some time ago I acquired this MSI P platinum third-hand and it has been living up to MSI P45 Platinum doesn't wake after sleeping, hard reboot required its name However it does not sleep and wake up properly To be specific it looks like it sleeps properly but doesn't wake up properly The lights and fans start up but one of things happen the POWER LED doesn't light up only the HDD LED strange the POWER LED lights up the HDD LED doesn't work Either way no display or any activity I can cause through the keyboard I'm on BIOS b official Beta BIOS A IMS E It didn't work with official release either It doesn't seem to be any known bug I've tried a bunch of things but I would like to try steps systematically once again in case I've missed some combination So what could be the issue and what can I check

A:MSI P45 Platinum doesn't wake after sleeping, hard reboot required

Hello Milind, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if using the tutorial below to add AHCI Link Power Management to your power plan settings, and set it to HIPM+DIPM may help.

AHCI Link Power Management - Enable HIPM and DIPM

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/311265-msi-p45-platinum-doesnt-wake-after-sleeping-hard-reboot-required.html
Relevancy 62.35%

After recently installing an SSD in my notebook I have been experiencing regular freezes that always end in a hard reboot I switched to the SSD because my hard drive was failing and no online solutions seem to help my situation Is this model of laptop compatible with SSD's Laptop nbsp HP ENVY and reboot lockups system Recent SSD... Complete required. hard TouchSmart -j txSSD Micron nbsp c -mtfddak mam - gb - SMART health check reports healthI'm assuming this is an issue Complete system lockups and hard reboot required. Recent SSD... with the SATA controller but all software and drivers are up to date There is also no option in the bios to change from ACSI to IDE as some online articles have suggested to fix the problem nbsp nbsp Side notes A clone of the system was made to the SSD via a cloning tool prior to installation of a resetted and updated windows HDD worked without system freezes but was slow and had a long response time due to how many write cycles it's been through All drivers have been updated and including updates through windows update Multiple fresh copies Complete system lockups and hard reboot required. Recent SSD... of windows also had the freezing issues Also just before the computer hangs the drive increases to usage but with no read or write happening nbsp nbsp This is just very puzzling to me and I'm not sure what to do

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Complete-system-lockups-and-hard-reboot-required-Recent-SSD/td-p/5826692
Relevancy 62.35%

Okay so two weeks ago someone put their foot through my Acer laptop screen Rather than had it fixed I decided to remove the inch hard drive and transplant it into my HP Pavilion Desktop The Acer was running Windows and the desktop Windows Vista I bought a inch to inch hard drive bay converter removed the inch HD years old with Vista and replaced it with the inch HD months old with Win bit All the drivers were updated and I had a sparkling new desktop running Windows The laptop carcass was then disposed of All well until I found a date ticker saying that I after to required moving Activation drive from desktop laptop hard needed to activate the O S There was a product code already in the form so I hit the Activate button The reply came back that it was not valid I certainly did not change it from Activation required after moving hard drive from laptop to desktop when it was in the laptop What can I do I obviously do not want to pay for a new O S since I had bought the Acer laptop with Win and it is still only on one computer What are my options Can anyone assist Many thanks Hal

A:Activation required after moving hard drive from laptop to desktop

The reason its unactivated is that the late Acer laptop had a factory win7 activated via Acer oem activation- this type of activation is a brew of several components one of them being an oem marker in the bios. When you moved the hard disk to the HP, the bios marker and some other components went missing.

Theres no option other than buying a new license. The Acer license was tied to that computer, its not transferrable. However, since you already have vista, you can buy an Upgrade win7 license which is considerably cheaper than the full retail license. FYI, you can also do a clean install of windows using the upgrade disk.

BTW, that product code is not the product key, hence the error.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/190341-activation-required-after-moving-hard-drive-laptop-desktop.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I am running Windows 7 and have 4 SATA hard drives. (One of which is partitioned and has the system software installed on one of the partitions.) My Computer will show all 4 hard drives for about 2-3 weeks, and suddenly one day on startup it will show only 3, or even 2 sometimes. I can swap memory sticks in different slots, and, once again, it will show all hard drives for 2-3 weeks. Why do I keep having to swap memory and is there an app or other solution to this problem, so I don't have to keep doing this over and over?

A:Memory swap required for My Computer to see all SATA hard drives

Hello and welcome rodo first up

SYTEM SPECS ADD IN

Can we have some systemspecs please as what you have posted gives us not that much (or anythingat all with some folks) to work with and given there are so many manufacturersof components and configurations that do influence what goes on within anygiven machine and OS.
System Info - See YourSystem Specs

Now for starters the amount of RAM you have is in my view way too little you should be running a minimum of 4GB preferably 6- 8GB if your machine will support that and that is why we need those specs .
For an example imagine the CPU is the bucket holding a known amount of water (data) and you pour that water into the second bucket (RAM) and you do that through a funnel with a 1 inch outlet then it will take the RAM bucket a long time to fill and that water will then flow very slowly onward to whatever you are trying to do from the RAM bucket.
Now if you do the same thing and you make the the RAM bucket larger the CPU bucket has more channels (more funnel outlets) for the CPU can use to transfer the water (data) to the RAM bucket (through more funnels) - so your RAM bucket of data will be ready much faster than it sounds like it is now. Then that data is also available faster to the drives etc etc

Lecture over I would suggest you run these too in any case in safe mode

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html< if necessary include the /f and /r in the command line as per Option2 >in safe mode if need be

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/379288-memory-swap-required-my-computer-see-all-sata-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 61.92%

My -month-old laptop was running poorly so I backed up my data to an external drive and used the Settings menu to reset the computer to its original state including deleting all data files nbsp The reset hung up at for many minutes without change so I tried a hard reset per the instructions on hard to reset Unable the HP Support website nbsp I removed the battery held down the Power button for seconds to discharge the capacitors reinstalled the battery and hit the Power button nbsp I get a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner for a few seconds then the HP logo appears for a few seconds then the screen goes dark nbsp This repeats endlessly nbsp No startup menu ever appears Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect and repeating the hard reset instructions has no effect nbsp The startup seems to get caught in a never-ending loop nbsp I just want to reset the laptop to its original configuration Any suggestions nbsp nbsp

A:Unable to hard reset

There are other ways you could run Reset/Recovery:http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Unable-to-hard-reset/td-p/5826966
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi! I've a great problem. I've activated HP Drive Encryption with no fingerprint access and my tablet dowsn't recognize my password. I can't login and I don't know how to enter in the BIOS. How can I do a hard reset?Thanks!

A:Hard Reset on HP Elite X2

Hard reset documenthttp://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/  You will need to contact HP directly for your issue. See the following web document for contact options.http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/help/contactHP/home/ 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Hard-Reset-on-HP-Elite-X2/td-p/5540680
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello,I have recently smashed my screen so i am using a tv screen with a HDMI cable. I was doing a PowerPoint presentation and then it froze so I restarted my NoteBook but when I went to turn it back on the screen remained blank but it does turn on. I have tried hard reset on the notebook but I can't see it in the HDMI tv screen. And was wondering if there is a way to get everything back up and running again? Thank You.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:HDMI Hard Reset.

Hello,Sorry just got everything sorted thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HDMI-Hard-Reset/td-p/5823200
Relevancy 61.92%

i want to hard reset my laptop bac to out of the box factory settings but everytime i try it with the f11 option it keeps asking for a disc to continue. laptop didnt come with a operating system disc. and if i try to fully reset it throught the options menu it doesnt do anything, all it does is say this will take a moment then that screen closes and nothing ever happens it takes me back to my desktop but never resets my computer.

A:i can not hard reset my laptop

Hello, Your PC came with Windows 8.1. The Win 10 upgrade killed the recovery partition. You need an HP Recovery disc set . The Grzy

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/i-can-not-hard-reset-my-laptop/td-p/5825375
Relevancy 61.92%

Hey guys I am frustrated I wanted to dual-boot Windows on my Windows Home Premium laptop and shrinked my Drive Hard Reset disk by about GB I went on to create a new volume as you can see in the screenshot below I actually re-installed Reset Hard Drive Windows and succesfully managed to do so but now when I boot the Windows installer I get to the quot select volume quot part and the only option I can choose is my Windows volume Windows II in the screenshot For every other volume all the options like formatting deleting and creating a new one are greyed out Trying to install on unallocated space also does not work Now I have almost given up I have got almost no space left on my active volume and can not increase it nor can I install a new operating system because it doesn't work any of the virtual volumes What I would like to do now is to either be able to extend my active volume or to reset the whole harddrive and to re-install Windows all over again Please help me sevenforums

A:Reset Hard Drive

Well, for starters your disk is dynamic - no good. If you want that many primary partitions, initialize it in GPT.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/367494-reset-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Is there any way to disable a hard reset of a laptop (i.e. holding the power button down for five seconds)? Could one use C sharp or something like this to achieve this goal? Any help would be appreciated.

A:Disable Hard Reset

There's usually a setting in the BIOS to control this behavior. In XP and Vista you can adjust the settings for the Power button in the Control Panel...Power Options applet.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/157338/disable-hard-reset/
Relevancy 61.92%

Product # N9T28AV (X360 15 inch convertibles)How do you do a "Hard Power Reset" as the battery is not accessible?...on older HP laptops with access to the battery, you would remove power plug, remove battery, hold the power button in for 30 seconds. Reassemble.I can find other reset references to different types of convertible devices but not the N9T28AVIf this is posted in the wrong section, please move to the correct locationIn anticipationThank you

A:Hard power reset

I asked HP about this earlier today.   There is no current documentation that describes how to hard reset an x360 notebook.   I have no idea as to how long it wil take before the Hard reset document is updated. As soon as it happens I will let you know. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Hard-power-reset/td-p/5450011
Relevancy 61.92%

Initially I was facing a problem wherein the keys A,S,D,F and some other keys were not working. The mousepad was also not working fine. I searched the net and got a page that suggested hard reset. Hence, I did the followingStep 01. Turned OFF the NotebookStep 02. Un-plugged the Power/AC Adapter and also removed the BatteryStep 03. Pressed and Held the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minuteStep 04. Re-inserted the battery back in  As soon as I re-inserted the battery, the following happenedPower button with LED indicator - is continuously onBattery charging LED indicator - is continuously onPower/standby LED indicator - is continuously onScreen is blank. Nothing is displayed on screen If I remove the battery the lights shut down. As soon as I put the battery the lights are on. Pressing the power button continuouslt doesn't help. Can someone please help in resolving the issue and starting my laptop.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/does-not-start-after-hard-reset/td-p/5679394
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi, I've been working on a computer that has had a lot of recent issues with its hard drive, and I'm getting tired of trying to fix it with the computer utilities. Could I have a link to instructions on how to completely reset my hard drive, erasing everything on it? The computer is a Dimension 8250 and doesn't have a warrantee any longer, nor does it have anything valuable on it, although I could easily transfer the few remaining files that I would like to keep onto another computer. I also have the XP boot disc, so I should be ready to do this. Thks.

A:Reset Hard Drive

Hi .

If "reset" means delete everything...

You can just use the XP CD...to delete everything on any drive, before creating a new partition/formatting/installing XP.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176180/reset-hard-drive/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,I seem to have corrupt bios.  I was setting up the system with Xubuntu 16.04 so I went into the bios settings to change it from "Legacy" to "UEFI with CMS" after I saved it and rebooted it went to a blank screen with the backlight on.  Since then I've gone through the hard reset proceedures posted here using the external method with both of the bios versions posted. So far nothing has worked but it is accessing the usb drive and the screen backlight does come on and off but only in the early stages of the process.  After that, nothing! I've tried holding the "win" key and "b" for several minutes so I'm fairly sure I'm not letting go too early.  No flashing lights or beeps! So is this the right proceedure?  Any suggestions?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-reset-on-a-14-d004au/td-p/5714711
Relevancy 61.92%

After spending after boot reset. only hard will PC many hours perusing various threads on numerous sites I find myself no PC will only boot after hard reset. further on troubleshooting the following boot problem The PC will not boot from cold but will work perfectly after a hard reset Apologies in advance for this massive post but it will prevent exploring places I have explored already I built the following system for my son for Christmas ABIT NF V mb AMD PC will only boot after hard reset. Sempron Boxed with fan single stick mb Kingston DDR Memory ATI Radeon mb video card Sony DVD drive Single Western Digital WD JD rpm SATA gb HDD Zoom G-Wireless USB mbs card TV XP global TV tuner card PCI LG S TFT monitor W PSU with V on the V rail Windows XP home On first assembly everything booted up and worked fine The following day on a cold boot the system hung before during POST No single normal beep and fans were turning and both HDD and DVD drive lights came on The reset button did not have any effect A couple of hard power-offs did the trick - system booted into windows fine Again the following day on a cold start the system hung but I had a couple of different POST codes at different times Two tone siren short beeps repeating longer beep about sec long but did not self shut down just continued with the beeping until I switched the power off reset had no effect On investigating various web sites threads I decided on replacing the PSU two tone beeps out of limit voltage detection and on looking on ABIT TEQ the V rail was a bit unstable about - I also increased AGP and Vcore voltages by small amounts as recommended on the Abit Forum threads but no improvement I replaced the PSU with a Jeantech W unit Bet you can guess though New PSU did not help I have since done three clean installs of windows and formatted the HDD to try to eliminate virus driver snags Incidentally on the windows install the soft reboots initiated by windows setup resulted in single repeated beeps and system hangs Hard power off and reboot again enabled a normal boot back into windows Other threads suggest that the single repeating beep is not a terminal main board problem and I suspected the CMOS battery not enough juice to store the configuration hence the hanging on cold boot but changing it has not helped either I have also swapped RAM and graphics card ATI radeon XT from my other PC to eliminate those components as suspect Also tried running the RAM as rather than - Symptoms remained each time I then noticed that the DVD rom was not always recognised in the BIOS and so suspected an IDE channel failure After discussion with tech support people at ABIT I then RMAed the motherboard and replaced it for an ASUS K V X SE Since fitting the ASUS board the only remaining problem is that the PC will still not boot first time from cold You have to do a hard reset and then it boots fine and runs very well into windows I have now been investigating threads about the WD JD hard drive and its compatibility with the VT R chipset I have jumpered the HDD to lock at mb s Have also swapped in a different DVD drive but no change I am left with thinking that this is a BIOS setting issue or a SATA IDE conflict or BOOT issue I have tried play with boot order and the RAID screen but there appears to be nothing to change there I have also flashed the BIOS to from the ASUS web site I have checked for motherboard shorts seems clear I am also thinking of getting an EIDE HDD just to see if this is the problem but can t see why SATA shouldn t run with IDE on the same board So far I have Changed PSU twice Changed the mainboard Swapped in RAM Swapped in Graphics Card Changed GPU fan supply source Changed CMOS battery Changed voltages in the bios at the advice of the tech support man in UK Run various software based hardware checks eg PC Check and memtest which have all passed Sorry bout the war and peace but having read many threads it seems to pay to be thorough I really am starting struggle... Read more

A:PC will only boot after hard reset.

Wow, sounds like you've essentially swapped in a brand new computer.

You didn't put jumpers on the hard drive, did you? I've heard of that messing up SATA drives. Poke around the BIOS and mess with the drive settings, including raid configs that might not exist. it definately sounds like a BIOS problem related to your hard drive.

That does seem like a royal pain though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-will-only-boot-after-hard-reset.68670/
Relevancy 61.92%

If I make a hard reset to my phone, will be deleted also the content of the memory card?

A:Hard reset WM10

If you initiate from the settings menu you will be asked whether or not to erase the SD card. If you initiate using the key combination from a phone that will not start, I don't know what the default behavior is. I suggest you remove the card before using the key combination just to be safe.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438052-hard-reset-wm10.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I shut down my laptop today and went shopping. When I came home, it wouldn't turn on. This has happened a couple of times before and I've tried giving it a hard reset. I tried turning it on without the battery and just the power cord and nothing. The light where the power cord goes in is on when it is plugged in. I tried everything and still won't start. My warranty for this laptop is gone and don't know what else to try. Please help!

A:Won't start. Tried hard reset and everything

Hi @krakaholyknight, Thank you for your query. I am happy to lend a helping hand. To confirm that I have the correct product, yours is a HP Stream Notebook-11-d007na? I understand that your notebook was working when you shut it down. When you tried turning it on again it would not start. This has occurred a couple of times before and a hard reset  resolved the issue. You tried removing the battery but that did not help. You do see a light on the power port when connected to AC power.  Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10). Please let me know the outcome. If this has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful for my post, kindly click the ?Thumbs Up? below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Won-t-start-Tried-hard-reset-and-everything/td-p/5760886
Relevancy 61.06%

Greetings on hard reset Accidental router- Help! we recently got a new desktop and Accidental hard reset on router- Help! my nephew configured the wireless DLink router for the desktop and two laptops It was all working fine with our home network connecting with all the computers Then my laptop stopped being connected to the home network I tried rebooting didn t help I read online that I should reset the router- so I pushed on the reset button and reset it Then I learned that was the worst thing I could Accidental hard reset on router- Help! have done-my home network disappeared I think it deleted all the configurations on the router My question now is- can I get it all back Accidental hard reset on router- Help! I am very computer illiterate I do have the CD that came with the router- can I just reinstall it with the CD I see that the home network is still on the computer but it will not show up on the internet access The only way I can connect to the internet is using the DLink internet access but I understand that is not safe So- is there any way to recover all the configurations my nephew put in or must I start from scratch Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Accidental hard reset on router- Help!

ask your nephew if he saved the settings for you, or try searching your computer for a file named something like this

network settings.conf

not sure if DLink save as .conf files but worth a try

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accidental-hard-reset-on-router-help.1086000/
Relevancy 61.06%

This happened EVERY DAY. I have my PC set to turn off automatically at 1 AM. If I leave it on all day then the next morning I'll come to it and it'll just have the desktop there and none of the icons or ctrl alt del or even pressing the power button will work. I have to hard reset. It's screwing up my drives!

Now, I have a lot of money riding on the stuff on my storage drives and this is really messing me up. I am thinking I need to build a whole new system because the stuff on my drives is not anything to mess around with. I have them all backed up on several clouds and NASes just in case. I don't have a crash report or BSOD to report.

I did have problems with blue screening a few months ago but that since stopped. Should I just build a new system?

A:After 6 hours, the PC just hangs and I have to hard reset

Additional information is required.

1. Download the DM Log Collector application to your desktop by clicking the link below

DM Log Collector.exe

2. Run it by double-clicking the icon on your desktop, and follow the prompts.
3. Locate the .ZIP file that is created on your desktop, and upload it here in your next reply.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/363581-after-6-hours-pc-just-hangs-i-have-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Stuck on blue restarting screen after update. Tried to perform a hard reset by holding down the power button, was unsussecful.  Also tried power button + mute...that too didnt not work. It doesnt seem to be reponding to anything. Its been "restarting" for 3 hours.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hp-Hard-reset-wont-work/td-p/5706370
Relevancy 61.06%

Sometimes after a power failure, the computer wont reboot from the hard disk. Instead we get a statement which says, and I loosely quote: Boot hardware not found. Insert disc and press F1 or press F2 for setup.

Last night the disc wouldnt let it boot up either. I went to F2 and tried to change the boot from the CDROM to the hard disk, the problem was HARD DISK was not in the window as a selection. Finally after doing some things that now I cant remember, I went back to the same window and low and behold Hard disk is now a part of the selection. The computer then booted from the hard disk, and is now operating fine.

Can someone explain to me what I did to get it working so that when this happens again I have the method of repair at hand. Thanks so much.

Mike

A:How To Reset Boot From Hard Disk

You probably clicked on Automatically detect hard drive in the Bios. You should purchase a UPS device to stop your computer corruption from power failures. In time your hardware will be damaged.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81082/how-to-reset-boot-from-hard-disk/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello everyone I've been having this problem with my computer since I had it built a while back When I'm doing anything on my computer it will sometimes completely freeze up and I will have to do a hard reset to fix it After I do a hard reset my mouse and wireless network adapter It's a USB one will have to be replugged for them to work again I've tried getting a new HDD and graphics card both of those replacements failed in remedying the problem I'm completely unsure of what could be causing the problem now I'm not sure if this is related or not but I originally had another motherboard of the same type in it but it failed then later I had to remove one RAM stick I originally had GB of RAM in the computer but now I've had to remove all of the sticks except the one Also Speccy shows that my RAM is at MHz while I have it set to MHz in the BIOS Here's my Needed Reset Crashing Hard & specs Operating System Microsoft Windows Professional -bit SP CPU Intel Core i K GHz RAM GB Single-Channel DDR Motherboard ASRock X Extreme Graphics AMD Radeon HD Series HDD GB Western Digital Any help would be really appreciated thanks so much in advance

A:Crashing & Hard Reset Needed

Thank you for supplying your specs, but you forgot the most important one, the Power Supply Unit.
Freezing is usually caused by overheating or an underpowered or failing PSU. Remove the side clean out all dust, blow out all fans with a can of compressed air. Look at the label and post the Make, Model # and Wattage of the PSU. If it is under 500Watts it is underpowered for your setup Get a PSU of 550Watts or better. .
Boot into Setup (Bios) and set it to Failsafe Defaults (F5). This should set the proper speed for your RAM.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/crashing-and-hard-reset-needed-691834.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I have been experiencing problems with my PC locking up and needing to hold down the power button to shut it off It seems to be more of an issue during the summer months leading me to believe it is a heat issue I downloaded Core Temp to see if I could get a temperature reading when it locks up I started the program left it running on the desktop and let the computer sit idle When it locked up the last reported temperature for Core was C and Core was C which did not seem very extreme Is there anything else I can do to try and see if a specific component is failing due to heat I have tried using compressed air to clean out my case made sure all case fans are working and reapplied Arctic Silver Silver thermal compound on the CPU PC Details Antec Performance Plus AMG Asus P Q SE Intel Core Duo E Wolfdale GB Kingston HyperX DDR RAM MB GeForce GTX Sound Blaster Audigy ZS Windows XP Pro SP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/computer-locking-up-need-to-do-a-hard-reset-701746.html
Relevancy 61.06%

My USB port is disabled in BIOS. How do I hard reset the BIOS with no keyboard access? Thanks in advance.

A:Hard reset BIOS on Stick 300

I have this problem too. I've sent a message to Lenovo to see if they have a procedure. I know that for other devices it is possible to reset using just a power button menu. catzi67: did you manage to solve the issue?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Beacon-Stick-300-D-J-and/Hard-reset-BIOS-on-Stick-300/td-p/2267136
Relevancy 61.06%

My computer used to have the "blue screen." Then my computer completely crashed (when I hit the power button, the light on the desktop blinks a little and shuts off)...It does not turn on the screen either...

I think it might be the hard drive. Is there a way to reset the hard drive without having to turn on? (Is there a button you can push to reset it somewhere? etc.)

Even if it is not the hard drive I would still like to completely reset it...

Thanks for any advice

A:Reset Hard Drive Manually

No. There isn't a reset for the HDD.

If the PC won't even power up properly, there is likely a hardware failure or at a minimum, something inside the PC is not properly connected/installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reset-hard-drive-manually.1014065/
Relevancy 61.06%

New HP envy x360 Model No. 15-x107ne has a problem of black screen.  As I understand this problem can be solve by hard  reset. So can anybody tell me the button combinatin to be pressed to get the screen back

A:hard reset for black screen

Hard reset instructions: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768 Not guaranteed to work for you but worth a shot.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hard-reset-for-black-screen/td-p/5577888
Relevancy 61.06%

I've tried the hard reset 3 tines, I've replaced the battery with a new one, and still my laptop will not turn on. The white led light starts out white while plugged in, then turns amber, then turns white after a few minutes and starts blinking. If I attempt to power on the laptop while it's plugged in, the led light turns off and does not turn back on until I take the battery out, put it back in and plug the ac adapter in again. Nothing turns on, no fans and no keyboard lights. The only sign of power is the led light. Help please!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Even-after-a-hard-reset-my-hp-laptop-won-t-turn-on/td-p/5655805
Relevancy 61.06%

i have an On-Q router, model# P/N 364772-01.

I'm trying to re-establish the home network, but I cant get anything to connect to the router. IP config shows no gateway, and I cant ping the router. I dont think I've ever had to do a hard reset on this router, but nothing blinks or flashes to indicate a reset took. This is a wired network, nothing is wi-fi.

Is there anything I can do??? Or is the router a brick now?

Edit: Im googling like mad, but it doesnt help when i have such an obscure router model. Would i be able to access anything if i connected my computer to the WAN port?

Relevancy 61.06%

Hello, i am tarequl, i was wondering, is it necessary to hard reset my phone after a update? And how much would be the size of the upcoming anniversary update? Thaks.

A:Should i hard reset my phone after a update?

There's no real need to hard reset after an update unless you have a problem that needs a hard reset.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434786-should-i-hard-reset-my-phone-after-update.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello, i am tarequl, i was wondering, is it necessary to hard reset my phone after a update? And how much would be the size of the upcoming anniversary update? Thaks.

A:Should i hard reset my phone after a update?

There's no real need to hard reset after an update unless you have a problem that needs a hard reset.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10-mobile/434786-should-i-hard-reset-my-phone-after-update.html
Relevancy 61.06%

This has been occurring for months now hard crashing, PC reset. requiring It is EXTREMELY PC crashing, requiring hard reset. annoying especially if I am in the middle of something very important The mouse cursor will lock everything will freeze and this will usually be followed by any sound repeating buzzing freezing From here it is a complete freeze The only way to get out of this is to restart my computer Now another surprising thing is that usually I need to push my reset button in PC crashing, requiring hard reset. all the way for my PC to reset I suppose this is so you don't bump the button When the crash occurs I only have to slightly touch the reset button for my PC to completely shut down Strange Upon first glance I suspected this to be my power supply however now I am not sure it could really be any other component I am fairly confident that this is hardware related but not sure what is causing these crashes Nothing seems to quot trigger quot the crashes It can happen whilst watching videos playing games browsing the web or simply idling Any help would be appreciated thanks

A:PC crashing, requiring hard reset.

Please provide full specs of your PC including PSU make/model/wattage so we know what we're looking at. Could quite possibly be a PSU problem, but we need all your other hardware info too (CPU, Motherboard, RAM etc).

Is the PC pre-built or custom built?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/pc-crashing-requiring-hard-reset-614768.html
Relevancy 61.06%

hi everyone.

after a hard reset,i cannot boot windows.trademark appears,bar is moving an then,blue screen and PUFF! computer restarts!

i tried every choise such as safe mode etc but no result.i tried to fix it from Windows Recover Console but my laptop has sata hdd which are not recognisable in console..

i'm running out of ideas.....

A:blue screen after hard reset

I had this exact same problem with our family computer... however we used windows system recovery... if you still have the windows xp CD that would be the best option to reinstall... Does it go on a cycle? Startup, restart, startup, restart?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/blue-screen-after-hard-reset-171325.html