Windows Support Forum

wireless/wired - internet yes, network no go.

Q: wireless/wired - internet yes, network no go.

Hey guys,
All wireless machines can get wireless internet access, but I cannot get the network functional for file or printer sharing. Here is how it is connected.

DSL modem ---to---Linsys WRT54GS router ---to desktop with windows 2000 (by ethernet cable).

All other machines in the house are wireless and can get full internet access no problem. However, I cannot get them networked to be able to see each other and share files, and I would like to share the printer as well. The other devices are running XP.

Any help or direction you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

wardriod.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: wireless/wired - internet yes, network no go.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: wireless/wired - internet yes, network no go.

This should help you out or start you in the right direction: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net-update.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-wired-internet-yes-network-no-go.582653/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi all, thought this is the best place to ask...

Is there a way to plug my computer into my LAN and have access to my home network but avoid using its internet access altogether? So that I can use a separate wireless network for internet?

A:Wireless Internet, Wired Network...

Quote: Originally Posted by dragotron

Hi all, thought this is the best place to ask...

Is there a way to plug my computer into my LAN and have access to my home network but avoid using its internet access altogether? So that I can use a separate wireless network for internet?

You could consider a "Virtual Private Network"?

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/43585-wireless-internet-wired-network.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I'm using a pc with a wireless adapter to surf on a friends wireless network. I have 2 pc at home, connected the a wired network, sharing files. Is it possible to share the wireless internet with the pc thats connected through a ethernet router to the wireless pc? I would like to do this until I get a wireless adpter for the other pc.

Relevancy 78.26%

Hi Everyone Im haveing some serious issues with trying to connect my laptop to the internet Im hopeing someone would be abe to find a solution for me below is provided my ipconfig what it said when i tried ipconfig renew and when i pinged the ip address if you need me to post more information im more than happy to I bought a brand new Asus model laptop last month and have been using it perfectly with no interent issuesd at all until about a week ago when all of a sudden it stopped working when I try to connect to a network It says connected and internet access but whenever i try and access the internet through all three browsers i have through steam utorrent even mulitplayer games it just doesnt work Whether its connected wirlessly or directly with the ethernet cable ive tried my home internet neighbours universitys but they all network and wireless No both wired through laptop access to any Internet connect fine just no internet Can someone please be able to help me out also i tried the No Internet access through both wired and wireless to any network laptop winsock fix and also tried rolling back my last wireless update or whatever its called with no fix to the problem PLEASE HELP ME btw it says when im connected connected internet access which is really weird also bluetooth works fine i can connect my wireless headset and listen to music through it Also I just booted and ran Ubuntu off my USB to see No Internet access through both wired and wireless to any network laptop if its a hardware error and Ubuntu ran the internet fine was able to browse the web and everything through ubuntu so its clearly a windows problem When I performed ipconfig Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Dario gt ipconfig Windows IP Configuration Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe c c d b e IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap C C E E -DC - -B D-D C A FFF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap C - E- -B EC- E B Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap F EF C- E- CC- EE-E B BAADEE Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap D DCC - - D -BB -C CF FB C Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix C Users Dario gt When I performed ipconfig renew Windows IP Configuration No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its media disconnected No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe c c d b e IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap C C E E -DC - -B D-D C A FFF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap C - E- -B EC- E B Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel ad... Read more

A:No Internet access through both wired and wireless to any network laptop

Hi, can u try using IP fix!!! if doesn't working try to disable your firewall.

and restart your computer!!! if still not working that's mean something wrong with your OS!!!

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-internet-access-through-both-wired-and-wireless-to-any-network-laptop.165147/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi there I would really appreciate any suggestions for this I unable internet same wireless get network at help, a working Please wired time to and Solved: have searched the internet high and low for a solution I am running Windows xp pro I work as a video editor and where I work we have a wired network sharing video between the different computers at gbps This is on a static IP I also want to use the internet while I am working by connecting to our wireless internet with a wireless adapter via DHCP My problem is if the video network is running my wireless internet constantly goes down every minutes I have found an interesting way to get it to work again is to switch http and http through proxy connections on and Solved: Please help, unable to get a wired network and wireless internet working at same time off until it comes back But after a year of doing this every minutes I AM GETTING REALLY TIRED OF IT Is there any way for me to get these networks working happily at the same time I have read about setting up static ip and dhcp at the same time but when I type in ipconfig all my settings say I am already seem to be running a static ip and dhcp with the wireless wouter Or maybe the sheer volume of the video network will always squeeze out the internet while it is running I am reasonably intelligent and computer literate but no expert any help would be greatly appreciated many thanks Here is my ipconfig all Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings avidcapture gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Capture Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO MT Network Connect ion Physical Address - - -AE- - Dhcp Enabled No IP Address Subnet Mask IP Address fe ff feae Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff Primary WINS Server Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description ASUS USB Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - -F - - -CC Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask IP Address fe f ff fe cc Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff Lease Obtained March Lease Expires March Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF Dhcp Enabled No IP Address fe f Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address A- - - A Dhcp Enabled No IP Address fe efe Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address C -A - - Dhcp Enabled No IP Address fe efe Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C Documents and Settings avidcapture gt nbsp

A:Solved: Please help, unable to get a wired network and wireless internet working at same time

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-please-help-unable-to-get-a-wired-network-and-wireless-internet-working-at-same-time.691805/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello I need to start by saying I only have a patchy knowledge of networking I have been involved in the Networking of a museum with a set of quot Show quot computers which display video and for this reason cannot have anti virus installed becuase of the performace hit and also the risk of pop-ups on the videos They do however need to be connected to the internet as some are interactive and allow people to send simple emails and they all need to allow remote support when things go wrong It seems the networking was not thought out very well initially and there is a single wireless router which serves the staff and public on a secured wireless network but wired network a wireless a secure alongside network Creating also serves the quot Show quot machines via a wired connection from one of its ports which then connects to a master switch which serves the show machines Now the wired and wireless is on the same network and everything shares the same IP subnet xxx and this is not a good situation in terms of the securuty of the show machines on the wired network So I need to work out a Creating a secure wired network alongside a wireless network way to totally separate the wireless network which will be very prone to people Creating a secure wired network alongside a wireless network opening viruses in their emails etc Creating a secure wired network alongside a wireless network from the wired network which will be the show machines which wont be touched by anyone I want to achieve this in the simplest and easiest way and have been reading about the possibility of setting up a second wired router behind the current wireless one with a different subnet IP address to which the quot Show quot machines could be connected The WAN port on this second router would connect to a LAN port on the wireless router and thus the show machines could get their internet but separated from the dangerous wireless network Does this sound like a sensible start Will the fact that the wired router and show machines are on a completely different subnet to the wireless router and wireless devices mean that the wired network will be protected Or do I need to do more And is this likely to work Many thanks for any advice Cheers nbsp

A:Creating a secure wired network alongside a wireless network

That's the standard way to protect one set of machines from another, while allowing all to use the same internet access. The reason it works is the NAT layer on the second router--it protects its LAN from the other machines the same way it protects from the big scary internet.

If you are using Windows on the "show" machines try Microsoft Security Essentials. It should not adversely impact performance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/creating-a-secure-wired-network-alongside-a-wireless-network.1021598/
Relevancy 67.94%

I am trying to add a new network-ready printer Brother MFC- N to my existing wireless network The printer is connected to a LAN port on the back of a wireless router The pre-existing wireless network consists of a Linksys BEFW S wireless router a wired Windows XP Home desktop and a wireless Windows XP Home laptop The network has MAC address filtering and WEP security enabled I wired WEP network with Solved: security wireless printer on network turned off both MAC and WEP security when installing the printer and the wired desktop was able to detect the printer after going through quot add network printer quot I got the printer s MAC address from the printer test page and added that to the router and turned the MAC filtering back on and still ok I was able to detect the printer from the wired desktop and print I then turned on the WEP security Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network and suddenly the wired desktop no longer detects the printer tried pinging printer s IP address If I turn off WEP the desktop again recognizes the printer I m not sure why WEP is affecting communication between two components that are both wired into the router I haven t even tried to get the wireless laptop to communicate with the printer yet since I can t even get the wired desktop fully working first I don t want to disable WEP security so that is not an option Brother support says Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network its an issue with the router Is there some setting I need to change on the router Alternatively I think if I got a wireless print server and entered the WEP Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network key into the print server it would work but then there was no point in getting a network-ready printer in the first place I could have just kept my old non-network printer Any suggestions would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

Someone asked me about hooking up there xbox to the internet. Their home is wireless and the xbox is across the room. Is there something I can get that receives the wireless signal from the network then transmits it through the wire plugged into it? Basically, the opposite of a wireless access point. Thanks.

A:Solved: Wireless network - need something that does wireless to wired for xbox

The device you want is called a wireless bridge; e.g., see http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q...r=lang_en&newwindow=1&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-network-need-something-that-does-wireless-to-wired-for-xbox.401547/
Relevancy 67.08%

My computer is a bit Win SP with Pentium Dual Core Ghz and Gb of Ram on a wired network My wife has a Cannot Network from Computer Wired Network Ping a on Wireless similar system using a wireless network She can ping my IP Address but I cannot ping hers We both have full access to the Internet We are using the same workgroup and both computers have file and printer sharing enabled and IPv addresses and DNS server addresses selected automatically The problem appears to be with my computer but I don t know how to solve it Please help Here are my system stats Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Pentium R Dual-Core CPU E GHz x Family Model Stepping Cannot Ping Computer on a Wireless Network from Wired Network Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R G Express Chipset Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB M Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P G -M LE Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

I ve got a regular desktop pc and a laptop Both are running Windows If both machines are wired file and printer sharing works like expected If the laptop is on the wireless things go sour The machines don t see each other I can t ping the laptop from the desktop or vice versa Strangely enough if I ping the desktop from the laptop by IP address the desktop will reply At that point the desktop will see the Solved: doesn't file wired-wired works, sharing wired-wireless laptop too and sharing file printer amp media works fine But if Solved: wired-wired file sharing works, wired-wireless doesn't the connection is idle for a couple of minutes Solved: wired-wired file sharing works, wired-wireless doesn't they won t see each other anymore I ve tried all kinds of things disabled IPv on both reconfigured file and printer sharing disabled the firewalls on both But none of these changes have had any effect whatsoever I have also tried to give everything the same name SSID workgroup and network name on the desktop but that had no effect either More info - Wired and wireless clients are on the same subnet - The router is a Linksys WRT- N - AP isolation is disabled - uPnP is enabled on the router Does anyone have any clue how to fix this nbsp

Relevancy 66.22%

I generally don't have a need to network computers together. In fact if I do network in my home it will be for only one purpose and would prefer to have the network down 99.99% of the time.

I can run the lines needed to connect these two computers but wireless would be easier to get going.

I am just wondering if wireless is secure enough.

If I do connect two computers together I would want to set it up so I have a link on the desktop's where I can connect the network and disconnect it even if it requires me to hire out custom coding.

I guess what I am saying is would want the computers connected about once a week for a few minutes and then break the connection as easy as possible but also securely.

A:Wired vs Wireless network, is wireless safe.

I'm not sure about the others, but i have tried this and its safe.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/186219-wired-vs-wireless-network-wireless-safe.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I ve read several posts here Wireless & not but other internet; networking works wireless from wired Solved: lapto that come close to my issue but don Solved: Wireless networking works but not internet; wired & wireless from other lapto t describe it exactly Yesterday on my personal laptop Dell E running XP SP I got a message box saying something about port forwarding and that I wouldn t be able to get to my website or something like that Unfortunately I didn t pay much attention to the message and dismissed it Now I can t get to the internet using wireless Here are some details Another laptop connects to my wireless network and the internet just fine All was working fine on the Dell until I got that message I ve checked the event log and can t find anything relevant around the time of the message Connecting to the network internet with ethernet cable works fine I m definitely connected to my wireless network because I was able to open shared files on another PC Other likely non-related issues I m having a little problem with the hard drive and will need to run chkdsk Sometimes I get an error regarding the display adapter driver Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Wireless networking works but not internet; wired & wireless from other lapto

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Also show ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-networking-works-but-not-internet-wired-wireless-from-other-lapto.1061271/
Relevancy 65.79%

i am having wireless router, is there any problem while connectig to internet if i connect my computer to that router via wired and wireless using two NIC card, both are enabled(active), at the same time

Relevancy 65.79%

Hello there,
Can anybody enlighten me please is it at all possible to set up a network between two computers when one is on a wireless connectio and one wired but both connected to net through same router?

Originally i didn't think it was possible and had dissmissed it as an option for my mothers set up but i'm now questioning the logic for dismissing it. Anyway i'm sure someone here has the required knowledge. Thanks a million Max.

Relevancy 65.79%

Ok so I have a netopia modem wireless router Its all set up Heres the problem Wired computer directly through ANY of the ethernet ports can access router and each other but cannot access internet Cannot ping outside my LAN but Network Good/Wired Wireless Bad Network can ping every other computer inside Wireless connected computers CAN access internet and all computers within my LAN Tried multiple computers multiple patch cables Thought it might be modem but if it was modem then I wouldnt be able to access other computers on my LAN when wired but I can That s what is wierd No firewalls are set up on computers hardwired I even have RealVNC on one computer that IS hard wired into modem router and I can access it via any other computer so wired network is working Its like HTTP settings to wired ports Wireless Network Good/Wired Network Bad is blocked Any ideas At amp t doesnt know either but they agree its probably not router NOTE I also hooked in a second router from the modem and tried from THOSE ports Still same problem nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

I set up a wireless network on my router some time ago It's called Balmer I can't connect to my wireless network with my Windows laptop any more However if I connect an ethernet cable to the router from that laptop it connects just fine as long as the cable is connected However it identifies the WIRED network as Balmer I change? Wired as has network do same network name wireless - I how would really like this laptop to connect to the Wired network has same name as wireless network - how do I change? wireless Balmer network so I don't have to plug in the ethernet cable I think the problem with the Windows laptop is that it seems to think Balmer is a wired network at the same time as there is an actual WIRELESS network with the same name I wonder if that is confusing the laptop somehow and keeping it from connecting wirelessly If so what do I do about it I've tried deleting the Wired network has same name as wireless network - how do I change? existing wired network connection but it only gives me a Merge option the delete option is greyed out I should mention that my Windows laptop connects wireless to Balmer just fine as does my cell phone Clearly something is messed up in the network settings for the Windows machine alone I'd really appreciate some guidance on how to get the Windows machine connecting to Balmer wirelessly again

A:Wired network has same name as wireless network - how do I change?

When you set up your network did you happen to change the password? My network has the same name whether I connect wired or wireless. That should not be an issue. If you connect Wired, you do not have to enter a password. Disconnect the Ethernet cable and click on your wireless icon, if it says connected, click on it and you should have the option to disconnect. It should show you all connections available to it. Click on your network, click connect and you should be asked for a password. Enter the password and it should connect.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/388056-wired-network-has-same-name-wireless-network-how-do-i-change.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I am totally new to networking and have been reading up for a week now and cannot work my issue out I realise this is most likely basic questions but total learning curve is a Network Network and Solved: Wireless Wired testing me out I have just purchased a new PC and the OldPC is still good and works fine so I would like to network even if for short time to move large files over Both PC s run XP Home in SP I have a Speedstream Modem with a Belkin Wireless N Router connected to it and through to new PC with Ethernet Cable I have added a Netgear Wireless G USB Adaptor to OldPC Both are connecting to net and work fine Also purchsed a crossover cable and I tried connecting OldPC to Belkin Solved: Network a Wired and Wireless Network Router and was successful - still got net on old PC so everything seems ok there I have Trend Micro trail version on new PC - at least for a short time and AVG Internet Security on OldPC On the Trend Network page I can only see new PC I can log into Belkin Router and see both PC s Also connected at times are PS and an IPod While I had the crossover connected I could see entries on the Belkin for OldPC However no matter all above the original intent to network the via wireless and or crossover I cannot see either from the other PC When I go to My Network Places and select View Workgroup Computers is says that I do not have access Obviosly I have done something wrong I also suspect it may have something to do with Access Pont but not sure How do I get setup nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

Hello,

I have a comcast modem connected to a netgear wireless router (wgt624). The wireless router connects to a netgear switch (fs108) which from there goes to the pc's in the house. My wireless network works fine but I cant get a connection through the switch.

The ip address through the switch: 169.254.63.132
The ip address through the wireless router: 192.168.1.4

I know thats bad how do I fix?

A:Wireless network good wired network no go

Well, you isolate what the issue is. It could simply be a defective switch or cable.

Since that switch has auto-MDX, you should be able to simply plug a cable into any port on the switch to the router and connect computers to it on the other ports. It's really that simple. If that's not working, and the same cables work when connecting directly to the router, the switch is dead.

Did you try different ports on the switch? Sometimes, only one port dies, and if it's the port that the router is connected to, you won't get any connections.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-good-wired-network-no-go.834640/
Relevancy 65.36%

So i have a Linksys WRT110 when connected to it both wireless and wired i get "local only" both times. can anyone help me out?

A:Connected to Wireless router both wireless and wired no internet

Hi -

Is the system new?
Do you have an Internet Security app installed, e.g., NIS, N360, KIS, McAfee, etc. . .?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/connected-to-wireless-router-both-wireless-and-wired-no-internet-496598.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have 4 computers hard wired together using a netgear gateway router RT314. All these computers hooked to the internet by cable modem. Want to add a laptop to this network using DLink DI-624 wireless router.Laptop has
a wired and wireless nic installed.
What would be the step by step instructions to add this wireless router to the wired router.

Relevancy 65.36%

I would like to use both ethernet cable and wireless simultaneously in my laptop (XP Pro SP3) using the same router. Is this possible? Does it make the connection faster?

Relevancy 65.36%

Hello all I currently am unable to have Ethernet on all my devices i would like it to be on and have to suffice to wireless for a part of my home network But this has caused an issue i can t seem to work Wired/Wireless Issues Network out Basically what i have is my phone line plugged into my ADSL Modem which then shoots wirelessly to my first PC From there PC is connected to my switch via ethernet and my other devices are then connected via ethernet tot eh same switch PC has all the obvious things a working internet connection internet sharing enabled Wired/Wireless Network Issues etc The issue is PC and my Xbox as well as anything else i ve tried off the switch will not receive an internet Wired/Wireless Network Issues connection At first i believed it was the switch causing the issue so i swapped it out for one i knew worked Still not internet I then tried another switch and routers to no avail The issue is that my Xbox can connect to PC and view its files as can PC so i know the network is working just not the internet Here is a diagram of my setup Your help on this issue is greatly appreciated i will monitor it as frequent as i can Feel free to email me as well i can check that easier at the moment during business hours Thanks Matt nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

I'm trying to setup a home network, i have a belkin wireless router with two desktops hooked up to it (through Cat 5 cables). The two desktops are networked fine. But i also have two laptops which i would like to put on the network that use a wireless connection... Is it possible to do this? if so how should i go about it?

Relevancy 65.36%

So I had a very very very long post all ready to go because I lost my xp home network and could not get it set back up After over a week and hours after hours of pouring over Tech Guy posts and other internet sites trying anything and everything posted Wired/Wireless Network Home XP to get the network back to working order I finally found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow here http forums techguy org networking -windows-xp-home-my-network html Of the four things listed in Services Workstation Server XP Home Network Wired/Wireless TCP IP Netbios helper Computer Browser some of them were disabled and not started Once I made sure all four items were on Automatic and Started I had my network back and running So THANK YOU Tech Guys you are the first place I turn when I have a problem Second now I need help adding a laptop to the network or other suggestions Two Desktops both on wired network Have laptop I connect wirelessly to router for internet I attempted to XP Home Network Wired/Wireless add a wireless network to main Desktop using the setup wizard which has me use a USB drive to save settings but when i put the USB into laptop and let it run I loose internet connection I already had and it just says quot Acquiring Connection quot FOREVER Now the main thing I want to be able to do is access files on Desktop used as server and also be able to use printer which is plugged into Desktop from laptop my printer is not wireless I can ping D from laptop by name and IP but can only ping laptop from D by IP address not name don t know if that is important or not Any help on this all computers running XP Pro Svc Pack nbsp

A:XP Home Network Wired/Wireless

have a read here
TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

how to share a printer on XP network
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-home-network-wired-wireless.950744/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi,

I have a Linksys router and I am trying to run a Wireless connection (192.168.1.120) and run a wired CAT5 connection (111.111.111.111).

I want to run the wired connection for remote accessto the computer through VPN using the Routing and Remote access Service.

I'm running Windows XP Pro MCE 2005.

I can connect to the VPN fine but have no internet access after I connect. I also do not Internet Acess before connecting to the VPN. Is this because of the two adapters running with sepperate addresses.

Can I configure this somehow to allow me to use both. I would like to have the incoming connections on the Wired adapter (111.111.111.111) and internet access usingthe wireless adapter.

Thanks,
Damion

Relevancy 65.36%

I m hoping someone out there will help me set up a home network with a real basics step-by-step response I moved into my girlfriend s place and she s got Verizon DSL using a Westell Modem to connect to the internet The & up network wired wireless setting help w/DSL Need router is a Linksys WRK G I had it at my old place with wireless Comcast What I need to do - Create an additional connection for wirless access on my laptop while leaving her desktop PC connected directly wired and without making any changes to her access Because she uses it for work it s VERY important that I not screw it up and make sure her computer has web access Need help setting up wired & wireless network w/DSL directly basically I need to make sure that when I m done she can sit down and get online without having any changes and without having to do anything differently then before I called Linksys and they Need help setting up wired & wireless network w/DSL said I need to know if it s PPPOE or not which I Need help setting up wired & wireless network w/DSL don t know and want to know how I can accomplish this and reconfig the router THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Just a little over a month ago we networked 3 computers using an Intelinet Wireless Router, which is also an AP. At the time we had no intention of using a laptop. However, my husband just got a good deal on a Dell C600 wireless. It is on the way from Texas. I believe there is a way to network this laptop with our existing wired network. Can someone tell me what is involved in doing this? A friend helped us configure the router and we are very new with this, so if you could keep it just as simple as possible I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Relevancy 65.36%

Hi all I m hoping someone might be able to help me in setting up network wireless to Adding wired a wired network on top of an existing wireless one Setup is as follows Downstairs Linksys E wireless router Dell laptop Adding wired network to wireless wireless adapter Upstairs Dell Inspiron Linksys AE wireless adapter Both systems running Windows and work fine Problem is I have a printer upstairs that s too far from my printer to connect with USB without losing signal quality I have an ethernet cable running to it from when my desktop used to be wired to the Adding wired network to wireless network I would like to simply Adding wired network to wireless add one of my extra routers dlink dlink M or the wired EBR and connect my desktop and my printer Dell cn so that I can print without having to buy a wireless adapter for my printer Is this possible When I first set it up I lost my internet connection as it immediately picked up the new router as the internet connection even though I don t have it connected to the internet and don t want to Any help would be greatly appreciated Ryan nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Hi I m trying to configure my home network which has both a wired and wireless router don Wireless Network + Home Wired t want to switch to all wireless yet My basic problem is that Wireless + Wired Home Network I can t get computers on each one to talk Wireless + Wired Home Network to each other nor can I get the Netgear wireless router to set the IP to the Wired address Here s my config Into my house I have a cable line From there a line goes directly into my Linksys port wired cable router BEFSR - I have a few pc s connected to this all works fine - Default network settings GW SUBNET One Wireless + Wired Home Network of the ports from this has a wired connection to my Netgear WNR wireless router - I have two pc s connecting to this can get to internet etc - Network Config auto get IP it gets set to x works fine - DHCP enabled to the wireless pc s but this uses the default LAN settings of x not x When I try to set the Netgear LAN to be on x I get an error quot IP Address is conflicted with wan IP Subnet try again quot I can ping one way from wireless to wired but i can t go the other way Can someone help nbsp

A:Wireless + Wired Home Network

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-wired-home-network.911819/
Relevancy 65.36%

We ve got two network? What XP wired set wireless & order up to brand new Dell XPS PCs both with XP Media Center One is a desktop other is a laptop We re using the existing Belkin wired router to share an SBC DSL internet connection with a modem What order to set up XP wired & wireless network? in different rooms The laptop is now going wireless and we bought a Netgear Mpbs wireless router that will replace the Belkin When we connected the new desktop to the existing wired router it connected to the internet easily same with the laptop with the wired connection No problem But now we re wanting to also share a printer and the internet connection I just am not sure how to start do I set up the new wireless router and have XP configure the connection or do I use the Netgear setup CD And in what order does it have to be setup i e which computer Also to further complicate things I want to network my old Thinkpad What order to set up XP wired & wireless network? laptop Win so I can get files transferred from it to the new laptop It s got an ethernet adapter but in the past I ve not been successful in getting the thinkpad networked except for the internet connection Any help would be appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

I have kind of a strange situation (I think) let me explain and see if someone can point me in the right direction. I currently have a wireless network up and running. I get a string wireless signal throughout most of the house.

I recently added a internet ready TV in another room. The TV has an ethernet port, and is not capable of wireless connection to my existing network.

Without running any ethernet cable all over the house, how can I get the TV connected to my existing network???

Can I add another wirless router close to the TV, run a cable from the TV to the new router, and have the two wireless routers connect??

Im currently using a lynksys WRK54,

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

A:Wired / wireless hybrid network

Hey, what your saying would be using the second router as a sort of repeater and then using one of the switch ports on the back to connect the TV to the router.
In this case, you could just use a wireless adapter. If the TV has USB, I believe you can use that, if not. there are USB to Ethernet adapters that you can use to connect the adapter to your TV.
This would also cost a fraction of the price, since the only routers that I know of that can work as repeaters are DD-WRTs with the firmware upgrade.

This was my first attempt at helping someone out, so I hope I was at least some help lol.

Justin

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-wireless-hybrid-network.150436/
Relevancy 65.36%

I need help setting up my home network. I am planning to connect my custom built machine (wired into the lan) and my wireless Sony Vaio RB desktop. I dont want to have to connect my Vaio via lan because its two stories up and that would take alot of drilling and destroying of my nice walls. I know its possible to have a network like this (where wireless and wired computers communicate) but I don't know how to set it up. Can anyone help me?

Custom Computer (master)
AMD Althlon 64 3200+
Geforce 6600 256mb
10 gb master harddrive
120 gb slave
NEC 3450A dvd burner
Samsung Cd burner
Windows XP home SP1

Sony Vaio RB (secondary)
Intel Pentium D 930
2x 150 gb HDD Raid 0 (300gb total)
Sony DVD-RW-DL burner
Sony DVD/CD Drive
Windows XP Media Center

My custom computer would be the computer with all the networking tools on it.

A:Wired/Wireless network setup

What network devices do you have at the moment? If you happen to have a wireless router, then all you have to do is Read The Friendly Manual.

If you currently have only wired devices, then you need to buy a wireless access point and hook it up to your current network.

You can also get away with a wireless router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-wireless-network-setup.44300/
Relevancy 65.36%

as said in my last post i am very new to networking, so i dont want to fool around with router settings unless i know what im doing. i have a brand new wireless router by d-link DGL-4500. when i connected it up to my gigabit switch [my network is like this] motorola surfboard cable modem SB5100 d-link EBR-2310 wired router and 2 linksys SD2008 gigabit switches] when i connected up the wireless router i got this error message on the tiny screen

"The addressing of the internet side learnt thru DHCP conflicts with the addressing selected for the LAN side''

cound someone tell me "in plain english" what this means and how i can fix it so my wired and wireless connections can get along?

A:wired / wireless network conflict

It sounds like you are cascading two D-Link routers--a LAN port of the first connected to the WAN port of the second (a switch between makes no difference). They both default to using LAN addresses 192.168.0.x. The second router will then get a 192.168.0.x address for its WAN side. Hence the error message.

You can change one of the routers to use a different LAN scheme, say, 192.168.3.x.

If you would prefer that everything connected to the second router be on the same LAN as you have now use the following recipe.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

Of course, even simpler, is to just replace the wired router by the wireless and keep it for spare.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wired-wireless-network-conflict.863995/
Relevancy 65.36%

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Kaspersky Internet Security 2013. Actiontec GT742WG. I lost internet connection a couple of weeks ago so powercycled my modem. Since then I've had nothing but network problems. The above computer is ethernet wired to my modem and I have a wireless network for a couple of other computers and 2 Droid phones. I haven't been on the other 2 computers for some time and haven't changed any settings etc. They do have a wireless connection though that I recently checked. I keep getting an unidentified public network intermittently so I use the windows troubleshooter to check for problems and fix them. I have some screenshots attached. Can someone please help me. Thank you...

A:Wired and Wireless Network Problems

Ok, I've seen this before with the DNS showing a valid DNS IP but also a default gateway of 192.168.0.1 which usually indicates there is another router or a modem/router and then your access point.

Can you confirm if this is true or not?

If there is only one router then you need to define 2 DNS IP addresses in your routers set up page, as it appears now you seem to have one DNS server typed into your IPv4 properties?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/277111-wired-wireless-network-problems.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi Currently have a wired network consisting of cable modem router with a with network wireless Combining wired few computers connected plus a switch then more computers connected to the switch including a laptop As the web of cable grows through the house we ve decided maybe we should investigate wireless for the next phase What we want to do is still have the laptop on the wired network most of the time but be able Combining wired network with wireless to to take the laptop downstairs and use it s built in wireless network card to connect to a wireless access point which I imagine would in turn be plugged into the switch That is my first question - I have seen diagrams instructions for example on Netgear where the wireless access point is plugged into the router - but I guess it could just as easily be plugged into the switch Geographically this would be much better So next question Combining wired network with wireless is there a problem in having the laptop set up for both wired and unwired If plugged in to Combining wired network with wireless the wired network would it just automatically detect and operate off that or would it be trying to access the wireless network at the same time and would this cause some conflict Do I have to disable temporarily the wireless network when it s plugged in to the wired I guess you might say why bother - leave it on wireless but the wired transfer speeds are so much faster Most of the time it would be upstairs on the wired network Next some general advice on how the thing is configured - I gather you set up the wireless access point first then configure the wireless network card on the computer and then cross your fingers On the Netgear site - http kbserver netgear com pdf wpn install guide pdf and http kbserver netgear com pdf wpn ref manual pdf I had a bit of a look at the set up - it got you to set the computer to a static IP address first to set up the WAP I think that was just so you could access the browser interface page of the thing It also said then in basic settings to set DHCP to disabled - but if your wired network is operating as DHCP enabled you would want to set up the WAP the same wouldn t you This is where I started to get a bit lost - but obviously you have to switch your computer back to Auto assigned IP when finished We also have just got a PS This has wireless connectivity capability as well as wired This is also downstairs which is why we thought about getting wireless to operate the PS and sometimes the laptop downstairs wirelessly I gather we would have to do some sort of setup on the PS as well - and then do these devices just work side by side accessing the same WAP simultaneously - sorry I ve had no experience at all in wireless networking I m also concerned about security and what all the different security key types mean in terms of how they protect you from wireless network thieves Any really good internet articles that would help Also I picked the Netgear just as an example - any good recommendations for something that would do the job we want with the least possible fuss We currently have a Netgear router and switch The Netgear router was very easy to set up and the switch was literally a matter of plugging it in Many thanks nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

ok im at a hotel and i can connect to their wireless network on my computer. i was wondering if their is any way i can connect my xbox 360 to my computer using a ethernet cable and be able to get on xbox live. i am using windows vista sp1

Relevancy 65.36%

I m pretty Switching Network from Wired Wireless to fresh to networking My friend set up my existing wired network and it functions well but he s not around to help me as I make the move from wired to wireless Let me Switching from Wired to Wireless Network describe the currently functioning network Connected to the Westell DSL Router A - - is a Netgear Switch FS v This switch then connects to a Generic desktop PC in one room and to another switch a Linksys EZXS W elsewhere in the house The Linksys switch then connects to a Switching from Wired to Wireless Network Dell Dimension desktop and a Gateway laptop which uses a Netgear wireless card I ve already installed a wireless PCI adapter WG v into my Dell desktop and loaded the software I went through the steps whereby I replaced the Netgear switch with the new wireless router WGR and rebooted the network in the right order But then I get the error message saying the Dell cannot locate the internet And all my computers are running the latest updates etc for XP Am I doing something idiotic Please help nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

I have one computer wired from the cable modem through the router and the laptop wireless. I run the Network Setup wizard on XP and the laptop runs it great the wired desktop comes up with the following error message:

An error occured during configuration of the network on
this computer. You can configure your network manually
or you can run the wizard again with different settings.

I can see both computers on the desktop under "workgroup computers" but not on the laptop and it will not let me into the laptop from the desktop if you click on it showing. Please help!!

A:Combined wired/wireless network!!

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/combined-wired-wireless-network.612410/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi I want to set up a mixed network because I recently got a laptop and want it on the network My current hardware is a Motorola SBG Gateway which has the internet connection and a Network Everywhere Linksys NR wired router connected through wire to the Gateway The question would be can I set up a mixed Wired Wireless LAN with only that or is a bridge wireless router forcefully needed I help network Wired\Wireless Mixed have computers connected through wires on the linksys router and they both have access to internet as well as complete LAN functionality between them The issue is that my wireless Mixed Wired\Wireless network help laptop cannot see the computers on the linksys router and I guess it could be a configuration issue The laptop connects wirelessly directly to the Gateway and also has internet access but it seems no LAN access to the wired router Is worth mentioning that the wired computers connected to the router are running on Windows XP SP amp SP and the laptop is on Vista home premium The gateway detects both the router and the laptop in the DHCP leases The configuration I have on the Wired desktop computers is the following Static IP s IP XXX lt ---- each its different ip Subnet mask Default gateway lt ------ Linksys router The config for the linksys NR router is the following Static IP LAN IP Subnet mask DHCP Server Disabled lt ---- Use it for hosting needs Automatically Detected WAN WAN IP lt ---- Router IP on the Gateway Subnet mask Default gateway lt ---- Gateway LAN IP The config for the SBG gateway is the following LAN IP Subnet mask DHCP Server Enabled The laptop is set to automatically get the configuration but should be as follows Gateway LAN IP Subnet mask Default gateway lt --- Gateway LAN IP All computers on the same Workgroup and file sharing enabled I consider myself new to networking so I d be happy to see if someone could help me a bit Thanks nbsp

A:Mixed Wired\Wireless network help

Setup is always confusing to all of us the first time...
But perhaps you have not given us enough information. Which of those two devices (Linksys or Motorola) has the wireless emitter? I assume that is the Motorola.
But if you are connecting the Linksys to the Motorla, it must have the Wireless emitter to make things work properly... and so your setup is not right on the LinkSys (assuming it also has wireless)
Tell us a bit more about how they are in the chain.
Both computers and the laptop ideally should be working off the same router. I assume the Linkysy has four wired ports and a Wireless emitter. If not, tell us what you have, and the order in which they are placed.
Is one (perhaps the Motorola) connected to your cable or DSL provider?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mixed-wired-wireless-network-help.120701/
Relevancy 65.36%

I currently have a wired network in my home with 3 pcs in the house and two in the garage. I use direcway satellite as my isp version 4.10.
Is there a way I can hook up a wireless router with my wired network and have wireless available to those who visit my home with their laptops with wireless modems? And if so how do I do it. I have a wireless router but tried once to add it to my network but there was a conflict and I gave up. Excuse my ignorance on the subject but I am learning as time goes by.
Bob H

A:mixing wireless and wired network

bigbobh said:

I currently have a wired network in my home with 3 pcs in the house and two in the garage. I use direcway satellite as my isp version 4.10.
Is there a way I can hook up a wireless router with my wired network and have wireless available to those who visit my home with their laptops with wireless modems? And if so how do I do it. I have a wireless router but tried once to add it to my network but there was a conflict and I gave up. Excuse my ignorance on the subject but I am learning as time goes by.
Bob HClick to expand...

yes.

most wireless routers can be hardwired also.

i run the the laptop from the hardwired router/rj-45 cable to the wireless access point.

i have all systems acquire the ip address automatically in tcp/ip properties.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mixing-wireless-and-wired-network.372663/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello out there i'm stuck in making a home network. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!

So this is my connection

(internet)->(modem)->(DI-524 wireless router)->(destop wired computer Windows xp home)
->(wireless Laptop, windows vista)
I have finished the router's setup and the computers have an internet connection but i can't get the computers to use file and printer sharing.

I tried the home network wizard on xp and put the disk to the vista but there is a problem or error all the time.
I can't find the home networking wizard on vista and all i can find is the wireless setups. I checked all the other site and they didn't help.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A:How to Make a wired and wireless network?

Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-make-a-wired-and-wireless-network.649906/
Relevancy 65.36%

Currently, I am connecting both wirelessly and through wire to my router when I run Windows 7. I know both are configured but is there a way to make the wireless (for instance) connect only if the wired connection isn't there?

ipconfig shows two IPs and it seems like a waste of power to keep the connections on when I'm only using one of them.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

A:Do not want both wireless and wired network connections

I have a similar setup and don't know if you can have your wireless automatically enable if your wired goes offline which in sense your wired is more reliable. I have a wired connection to a wireless bridge and a wireless adapter I use both for connections but not at the same time. I have 2 shortcuts on my desktop to enable or disable 1 or the other I don't run both simultaneously.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/39691-do-not-want-both-wireless-wired-network-connections.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I already have a hard-wired network with four computers on it It is a Linksys router and I am satisfied with it I am looking to add a wireless connection to the existing network My intention is to keep the hard-wired router in place and simply add a wireless router to the network Wired (not Add Have Wireless change to) Network--Looking to I already have what I will call a wired satellite switch running off the present router that I occasionally Have Wired Network--Looking to Add (not change to) Wireless connect - to additional computers to when I am working on them My idea is to set up the new router as another satellite switch and disable its internal DHCP server can t use two DHCP on a single network Questions Is g the fastest I Have Wired Network--Looking to Add (not change to) Wireless use static IPs will this present a problem with the wireless router Is there an advantage to having the same brand equipment throughout the wireless setup Example I recently got a com router and one wireless card and never got it to work properly with computers on the wired Linksys Are there any mistakes in my proposed setup Additional input appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

What is the network cofiguration that has been best for you and why? I have had good luck with Linksys and D-Link in the past. So far - no problems with compatibility.
-pist-

Relevancy 65.36%

Can anyone tell me how to connect to my wired network from my wireless connection?

Relevancy 65.36%

We have a working LAN set up in our business and just set up a wireless network in another office. (Same building, less than 200 foot away) Both networks are able to share the internet. The 5 PC's on our LAN work okay and can share files & printers. The 4 PC's on the wireless network also work fine.
Our DSL runs into a SMC Barricade Router that we have used for years on our LAN. We added a Belkin Wireless Access Point that we plugged into the router for the other office. Problem is that the PC's on the LAN won't see the PC's on the wireless, and vise versa, yet everyone has internet access. Hope all this makes sense.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Todd

A:Help setting up a wireless and wired network

"Don't see" means what? You cannot browse the network neigbourhood or you can't ping the other lot?

Are all the PCs on the same subnet? Windows network browsing does not work across subnets/routers unless you set up a WINS/DNS server.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-setting-up-a-wireless-and-wired-network.25040/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a network of 4 computers at home, all connected to a modem and router...I will soon be introducing another computer (a laptop) and obviously with the portability I would prefer (with its built in wifi) to be able to go online anywhere in the house with the laptop...however I'd rather not have to fork out for a wireless access point when only the laptop will make use of it...

I have an idea, and would like to know if it is possible; could I add a usb to wifi converter to one of my existing computers, and then set the laptop up to connect to that computer as the gateway (which in turn connects to the router as the gateway)...is anything like this possible? or even just an rj45 - wifi converter or something lol

thanks for reading folks!

A:I would like to add a wireless connection to my wired network...Help if possible!

Yes.

Windows XP comes with a bridging feature meaning you can "bridge" two network connections.

So you set up an ad hoc wireless network on one of your desktops and bridge the wireless connection with the wired one. Then you can join the ad hoc network with the laptop and you will efectively be a part of the wired network too.

A tutorial here: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/windows-xp-bridge-setup.asp

PS
A cheap access point would still be a much better solution..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-would-like-to-add-a-wireless-connection-to-my-wired-network-help-if-possible.20192/
Relevancy 65.36%

I recently bought myself a new Netgear Stora MS2110 (network storage), my network situation is a bit strange. I've got my computer connected to a wireless network with internet access, and the Stora now connected to the computer by a wired LAN without internet. I just now discovered that I needed to have internet to setup the Stora, so my question is this - Can I somehow Bridge the wireless network onto the wired network through my computer? giving the Stora internet access and access to the wireless network. if so, how?

A:Bridge between wireless and wired network

Hi there, please check put the cross-over cabling tut in my sig.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/56213-bridge-between-wireless-wired-network.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Please Up Set Help Wired Me New on Wireless House and Network So this going to be my new house and I need help to set up my Wireless and Wired network like the best place to put the router and AP or RangeBoosters Questions Where is the best place to put the router DIR- Help Me Set Up Wireless and Wired Network on New House or DGL- I gonna have one AP or range booster where to put AP or RB What do you think it's better buy a range booster like this one link or this here link from Hawking or should I buy a AP like this one over here link This is my scenario Big home really big with a DIR- Router notebooks equiped with DWA- adapters Nintendo Wii PS Wireless network and Wired Network Here it is My new brand house Complete Help Me Set Up Wireless and Wired Network on New House diagram so you guys can help me Hope my english is ok and please I want everybody opinions Thanks Seven Forums Edit the picture with your opinions please put a router picture where you think it's better Product links DIR- DAP- DWA- Is that enough information ------------------------ PLEASE GO TO THE LAST POST YOU DON'T NEED TO READ EVERY POST TO HELP ME

A:Help Me Set Up Wireless and Wired Network on New House

First off, Welcome to Seven Forums!

Looks like you have a really nice house on the way. Congratulations!

The first question I'd ask is what kind of internet access you're planning on installing. Cable, DSL? What speed?

Second: What devices are you planning on having wired vs wireless?

Third: What are the walls made of in the area where the primary coverage is? Drywall? Wood studs vs metal studs?

Last: What wired cable (ethernet) are you installing? CAT5, CAT5e or CAT6?

Let's start with the basic info and take it from there shall we?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/56776-help-me-set-up-wireless-wired-network-new-house.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I want to add a wireless network in a way that will not allow wireless users to access my wired network. My thought is to put a hub or switch behind the cable modem then connect both routers to the hub. Each router would pull an IP from my ISP and this should totally isolate them. Does anyone see a problem with doing it this way? Would it be effectively the same if I plugged the wireless router into the main router but used a different IP range and subnet? Both routers need to be dhcp.

Thanks!

Relevancy 64.5%

I have a dell desktop running windows vista that connects to my wireless router with a cable I have an HP laptop that is running windows that is wireless When I look at network computers on the dell I cannot and with wireless same network wired the computers to connect get an error message that says that the computer is not accessible The same thing happens when I try to log onto the desktop from cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers the laptop When I try to run the network wizard from the desktop I see see connect to the internet connect to a wireless router or access point setup a dialup connection and connect to a workplace None of them make sense cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers but I tried connect to a wireless router and got a message that said to cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers set it up manually or set up a flash drive neither of which makes sense I tried set it up manually and all that happened is the router setup screen opened up I tried the same thing on the laptop and the setup the network wizard opened a screen that said choose a wireless router or access point to configure but nothing ever showed up on that screen I hate to knock windows but this all seems unnecessairly complicated It can t be that odd to have wired and wireless computers on the same network nbsp

A:cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers

sorry, not clear if your issue is connecting those pcs to the internet or if you are trying to share the computers across your network

do both pcs work on the internet OK ?

if sharing
Here’s how you can get your Windows 7 PC to share printers and files with XP and Vista PCs--and even a Mac
http://www.pcworld.com/article/184232/set_up_your_home_network_windows_7_edition.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246/share-a-printer-on-your-network-from-vista-or-xp-to-windows-7/

Share files between windows 7 and vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/

Here’s how you can get your Windows 7 PC to share printers and files with XP and Vista PCs--and even a Mac.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/184232/set_up_your_home_network_windows_7_edition.html

Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15247/complete-guide-to-networking-windows-7-with-xp-and-vista/

if you are trying to get on the internet
can we see an ipconfig /all from both pcs - make sure we know which is which
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should also work for windows 8
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-connect-to-the-same-network-with-wired-and-wireless-computers.1075184/
Relevancy 64.5%

Okay I recently purchased a new laptop and a Linksys WRT160N router to go with it, and I have my old computer wired to it via ethernet cable. My laptop, obviously, is connected via wireless network. How do I get the 2 computers to be visible to each other for if i want to use shared files, printers, etc? The laptop uses Windows Vista SP1 and the old computer uses Windows XP SP3.. So how do I put them on the same network or however, without turning the wired computer into a wireless one?

Relevancy 64.5%

Hi Everyone I have a HP Officejet A All-in-One Printer which is capable of connecting to the network but has no wireless function I connected it to my wireless router via RJ- and I want to acces it from my laptops via Wireless on the router At the moment the HP Software can t detect the printer on the network on the laptops and hence I can t use the scan functionality I can however use the XP s quot Add Printer quot function to add the printer and it prints perfectly Connect wireless wired all-in-one to printer network I have no issues on wired computers connected to the same router The HP software on those computers can Connect all-in-one wired printer to wireless network detect the printer and I can use all Connect all-in-one wired printer to wireless network of its functionality The laptops are windows XP and the two wired computers are XP and Win The printer and computers are all connected to the same wireless capable router I tried ping on the laptops and I din t get any timeout error The firewalls are all disabled Does anyone have a solution to this problem It is a brand new printer Thanks nbsp

A:Connect all-in-one wired printer to wireless network

this can be done - - WITH CARE.

First issue is to understand what your LAN looks like and what the DHCP range setting is;

get a command prompt (start->run->cmd)
enter IPCONFIG /ALL
the Gateway address will be that of your router; eg 192.168.x.y
assuming you've not changed the default settings,
the X will be different for the make of your router, but typically it is 0 or 1.
the y is almost always 1, but I've seen a few at 254.

To get your A-I-O on that network (and to keep it there), you need to make sure that
the address of the printer [ the y number ]
is not within the router's DHCP range.
Again with bold assumptions, if the router is at 192.168.0.1, then the DHCP range must be from 2 to xyz. I've also seen it from 100-150, so we need to access the router configuration using your browser.

please follow-up with the make and model number of your router so I can tailor the instructions for you ....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connect-all-in-one-wired-printer-to-wireless-network.165830/
Relevancy 64.5%

Problem solved after updating to Win Hello it started two days ago every now and then i start getting one it diagnose wireless wired ? & problems, How network to of these errors or all of wireless & wired network problems, How to diagnose it ? them the most frequent one is ERR CONNECTION FAILED When this one appears google searches still works from the address bar but i can't open any websites including google com or youtube com then there is ERR CONNECTION RESET This one happens with certain websites like speedtest net actually it is happening right now while am righting this post and google and eightForums and other websites works perfectly Also sometimes the internet in the browser is completely down nothing works while skype amp dropbox and steam are still working and sometimes nothing works Like i said this happens with wireless and wired network I am sure that my internet and my router are fine since i tested it with devices win laptop ubuntu laptop macbook Android smarthone and an iPhone Also i just want to say that my internet in this pc has become very slow while in other devices it's constant mb s I am trying to update the pc to win at the moment and it's been hours and the download is only I tried netsh winsock rese and restarted the pc and the router and the problem still persist I turned off completely my anti-virus avast free and all other security services from Microsoft and still couldn't find a solution for this I have a doubt that this is related to my other problem quot can't save settings like default app folder and icon size quot and i was going that upgrading to win will solve all this but i clearly can't do it with a broken network Can anyone help me to solve this please Thank you and have a good day

A:wireless & wired network problems, How to diagnose it ?

Did you reboot the Internet equipment?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/71926-wireless-wired-network-problems-how-diagnose.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello I have a question.
I have windows XP mode installed on Windows 7 Enterprise and running Windows XP ofcorce. I need to connect my laptop to wired network and in some time to connect wireless for XP mode using. What I mean : I want to use wired internet for my Windows 7 and in same time wireless network for windows XP in XP mode that is running. This I need because those two windows need to be connected in different networks.
Is this possible and how ?
Thank you.

A:wireless and wired network connect simultaneously?

Quote: Originally Posted by topche

Hello I have a question.
I have windows XP mode installed on Windows 7 Enterprise and running Windows XP ofcorce. I need to connect my laptop to wired network and in some time to connect wireless for XP mode using. What I mean : I want to use wired internet for my Windows 7 and in same time wireless network for windows XP in XP mode that is running. This I need because those two windows need to be connected in different networks.
Is this possible and how ?
Thank you.

From what I have read about this, it can't be done when both NIC's are on the same subnet or network. You can change back and forth by enabling or disabling the connections in "change adaptor settings".

If you want to use both connections at the same time you would need to have them on different subnets.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/230177-wireless-wired-network-connect-simultaneously.html
Relevancy 64.5%

A customer of mine has a BT infinity setup FTTC this option network wireless for wired Need reliable feeds via ethernet Need reliable wireless option for wired network an external office building which plus into a port switch Each desk then has hard wired sockets Everything works fine but they wanted to add wireless capabilities to the external office building as it s outside of the BT Home Hub s range I installed an DB wifi TP-Link router within the external office connecting it s EWAN Cable socket to the switch Initially everything worked fine then after about a week the wifi would not see the gateway and thus not permit internet use I then reset the unit and it now works with the gateway but none of the wired elements are viewable x NAS units and x printers So can anyone recommend something that will be straight forward to install work with the existing switch and allow easy configuration so that all of the lan stuff is viewable usable I believe the issue with the TP-link is down to the DHCP function and not allowing me it did originally to set it to work with the routers IP nbsp

A:Need reliable wireless option for wired network

It sounds like all you want is to add a wireless access point ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-reliable-wireless-option-for-wired-network.1100528/
Relevancy 64.5%

Ok first up here s a diagram to explain my current network set-up hopefully it will make it a little clearer what I m talking about Hooray for paint The problem I m having is with windows file sharing The two PCs connected via the wired network can see each other just fine and file sharing is not a problem However I cannot see any of the workgroup computers from the laptop which is connected to the network wirelessly via the wireless router I can ping both the wired router and the PCs Wired/Wireless over Sharing File Network from the laptop but trying to ping the laptop from the PC times out Its probably worth pointing out that the laptop can connect to the internet with no problems at File Sharing over Wired/Wireless Network all PC Windows XP SP PC Windows Vista Ultimate Laptop Windows XP SP All the computers are added to the quot WORKGROUP quot workgroup Summary of Network American Robotics Sure Connect Modem Router IP - PC IP XX - PC IP static - Xbox IP static File Sharing over Wired/Wireless Network - Buffalo Airstation Wireless G Router IP --- Laptop IP --- Nintendo DS ---Nintendo Wii I doubt its relevant but the wireless network is WEP encrypted Any help is appreciated thanks nbsp

A:File Sharing over Wired/Wireless Network

It's the NAT layer in the second router. Try this configuration:

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-sharing-over-wired-wireless-network.546351/
Relevancy 64.5%

Last Sunday my Wireless connection died My broadband supplier is SKY it s a Sky wireless router Ralink I can connect wired network working unavailable wireless using the ethernet cable but the wireless connection is unavailable Sky were unable to help said it must be a hardware issue I ve tried manually entering the TCP IP settings reinstalling the router with the Sky installation CD tried all the Windows XP Connection diagnostics etc quot View wired network working wireless unavailable Available Wireless Networks quot fails to find any Sky did not believe me when I told them I had only ever been able to see my SKY wireless connection they said I ought to be picking up neighbours as well Either side of me also have wireless connections but the router never ever saw them only my own I have tried system restore to roll back to a time when the wireless network worked OK but nothing I ve tried has fixed the problem I should add that my Sky router has been working fine for two years or so Sunday s crash coincided with a virus alert after viewing a web page about reupholstering a chair I downloaded some free anti virus software but when I tried to register it I couldn t get online so called Sky They were able to get me back online with the ethernet cable I then purchased and ran Norton Anti-virus and cleaned up the laptop generally with Ashampoo etc and various registry cleaners It should now be virus-free and optimised I can of course let you guys know the exact makes and models of everything Just wondered if you had any ideas I could try Cheers Paul nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wired-network-working-wireless-unavailable.868978/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi I was just asking for help on making a network I have my main computer running on Vista which is connected to a Netgear Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router DG G with ETHERNET My second computer running on XP is connect wireless to the router with a Netgear Wireless PCI card Now I - Network - XP to Wired/Wireless Vista Home have managed to create internet connection to my second computer but I m having trouble connecting the computers so they can share files as in so the second computer is able to read one of my hard disks amp access it Problem I can t create a network where both my main computer Home Network - Wired/Wireless - Vista to XP amp the secondary computer can connect to cause one is wired amp the other is wireless So any instructions on how to create a network connecting this two computers would be useful Main PC Intel Q Gigabyte p -dq mobo GTS MB Graphics card GB Ram Vista Ultimate Serial-ATA Harddisks Secondary PC Intel pentium Ghz MB RAM Nvidia FX MB IDE Harddisks nbsp

A:Home Network - Wired/Wireless - Vista to XP

Did you enable Printer and File Sharing on your network card by going to My Network Connecions > Right-click > Properties > Network card name > Right-click > Properties > File and Printer Sharing > check-mark > OK.

Type the PC name on your Vista laptop under Start > Run (WinKey+R) > \\Pcname > OK, and it should load the PC name in a window.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-wired-wireless-vista-to-xp.615819/
Relevancy 64.5%

We recently moved computers out of our home office and now have a cable modem and network printer in a location without a computer.

Do we have to have an ethernet switch connected to both the modem and printer?
Can we place a wireless router in another location in our home for wireless access?
Do we have to have a computer connected to the modem/printer router for our network to remain connected to the internet and printer?

A:Cable modem in wired/wireless network

The modem has to be connected to the router (don't use a switch). They can be as far apart as you want, but there still needs to be a physical network cable connecting the two.

A computer is not connected directly to the modem if you're using a router. The modem is connected to the router, and the computers connect through the router.

How to connect your printer depends on what type of connection the printer uses. Does it support networking directly? Or does it need to connect to a computer via USB and then shared to other computers? If it can't be connected directly to the network, then yes, it needs to be connected to a computer which remains on so other computers can access it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cable-modem-in-wired-wireless-network.727837/
Relevancy 64.5%

I currently have two desk-top computers with Win XP networked hardwired through a router with ethernet cards (and sharing one printer). The router has room for two more Hook-ups. My question is that if I buy my wife a lap-top with wireless internet, can I take a wireless router and connect it to my hard-wired router so that my two desk-top computers stay wired together (with one acting as the server) but the wireless router enabling the laptop to connect?

Relevancy 64.5%

I have an Epson NX400 hooked up to my desktop computer. What I want to do is be able to print with this printer from my laptop. It is not wireless though. I have set up a network between the laptop and desktop. I am having difficulty linking my laptop to the printer. I get an error that says the printer server doesn't have a driver. I am wondering if I can set this up so when I want to print from my laptop, it can send the data to my desktop and then print?

A:Making a wired printer wireless over a network?

Here is a wizard way to enable file and printer sharing.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/making-a-wired-printer-wireless-over-a-network.816681/
Relevancy 64.5%

For some time I ve been running a home network of PCs and a laptop using a wireless setup All PCs are running XP Pro The configuration was that one PC call it A was connected to the Internet via a USB Sagem ADSL modem and the others B amp C connected wirelessly via that PC I m now moving to a wired system using a NetGear router modem The router has attached to the Internet with no problem and both B and C machines work fine with it However machine A that I used to problem Adapter - Wired Network Wireless originally Wireless to Wired - Network Adapter problem with the modem won t connect So far I ve removed old modem software and disabled uninstalled the USB WAN adapter I ve checked the cable from the PC to the router and that s fine I ve reinstalled the ethernet driver The PC tells me that the ethernet port is fine and working The light on the router indicates the PC is connected They just don t seem to be talking to each other I performed a scan on the network and it shows that the network adapter status as FAILED - by virtue of both the Ethernet Wireless to Wired - Network Adapter problem connection and a quot Instant Wireless USB Adapter quot both coming up as FAILED It seems to be that both are failing in looking at - the default Internet IP address However I ve removed as far as I can see the wireless device and any software reference to it I m guessing that there s some kind of contention going on but I can t see any way of removing the quot Instant Wireless USB Adapter quot in order to test out this theory If anyone can throw any light on this I d be very grateful - it s been two days now Thanks Phil nbsp

Relevancy 64.5%

Okay, so I've got a new laptop. Its an ASUS G50VT 2.3 dual core. I'm running vista home premium. I can connect to wireless networks no problem, but for some reason, I can't get onto the net using a direct cable. I've gone through the network wizard and am still having problems. As far as I know, the cord is good (I tested it using my other PC) and haven't had any problems getting on otherwise.

Any input would be appreciated. Trying to increase my bandwidth as much as possible.

Thanks!
Cory
Portland, OR

A:Can't connect to wired network (but can get on wireless no prob)

Hi Cory.

Is the modem newer than the laptop?

Its always good to check the ASUS website for new internet drivers.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/297388-cant-connect-wired-network-but-can-get-wireless-no-prob.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have two PC's that are hard wired into a network using a cross over cable. I do use a wireless router to access the net for a MAC.

I now want to add a laptop PC. If I add a wireless card to one of my PC's will it hook up to the network?

A:Adding a wireless laptop to a wired network.

I'm not sure how the crossover cable enters into the mix, why aren't those machines connected to the router? Since you have a wireless router and you have a MAC connecting through it, you should be able to use it with the laptop as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-wireless-laptop-to-a-wired-network.562183/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a high speed cable ISP. My home is wired with cat 5 cable operating from a wired modem. I would like to put a computer in a place that isn't wired, but I would like to keep the wired connections operating. Does anybody know if you can add a wireless router to an existing wired system and how to accomplish this?

A:Adding Wireless to an existing wired network

You can do this 3 ways. 1) Buy a WAP and hook it up to the existing router at any point it can even use your prexisting cat 5 wiring as a piggy back if you want it in another room closrt to your wireless PC/laptop/or periphrial you want wireless. This effectively gives you a wireless beacon on your wired network. 2) The other way you can do it is buy a wireless router and replace your wired router. 3) You can buy a wireless router and disable all router functions such as DHCP and whatnot and hook it up to your existing lan cabling using one of the internal 1-4 ports not the WAN port.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-wireless-to-an-existing-wired-network.437691/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi,
I have a desktop PC that is wired into a wireless router. Also a laptop that has built in wireless. The desktop connects to the internet via an ethernet cable and of course the latop via the wireless. I have tried to set up a network for transferring files etc. Also for printing from the laptop. The printer is connected to the desktop.
Does the desktop have to be wireless to create a network for these possibilities?
I would prefer to keep it wired if possible for speed and security etc.
Any help would be great.

Relevancy 64.5%

Hey everyone this is my first post on the techguy forums... I work for a small business and we have a network containing 6 locations within about 75 yards of each other and within 3 buildings. I didn't do any of the networking except hooking up 1 vista computer ot the current network. I just got dragged into the equation because it's what I'm in school for. Right now there is 2 vista OS and 4 XP OS I believe. I have the network all hooked up, but I can't seem to transfer any files between computers... The two computers I am trying to transfer is XP and a Vista. The error message comes up as

"Cannot copy (whatever the file name is): Access Denied
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

This is where I want to start on this problem. Thanks all!

A:Adding and maintaining Wireless/Wired network

Try this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-and-maintaining-wireless-wired-network.729261/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have the following setup:

Actiontec Q1000 modem from Qwest setup as wireless access point
D-Link DIR-615 router setup as a wireless access point without the DHCP server and plugged in directly to the Q1000

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5864 with an Intel 3945ABG wifi card with the latest drivers from Intel. When I'm connected wirelessly to the Q1000 I can't see any of the other wired devices but can see other wireless devices. If I connect wired to the Q1000 I can see all devices. However, if I connect to the DIR-615 wirelessly, I can see everything fine as well. I'm even getting the same DHCP lease from both wireless access points.

I have network discovery on, password protected file sharing off, firewall off and unneeded network services turned off (IPv6, etc).

When I can't see the wired devices this includes ping, http, ssh and samba.

A:Wireless/Wired problems with internal network

Dual router set ups aren't recommended unless you like inconsistant networks that are plagued with problems.

The way you have this set up now will only cause you problems. Go with a standard modem, not a combo unit, then use your same router and turn back on all networking services including IPv6.

The Argument against Disabling IPv6
It is unfortunate that some organizations disable IPv6 on their computers running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, where it is installed and enabled by default. Many disable IPv6-based on the assumption that they are not running any applications or services that use it. Others might disable it because of a misperception that having both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled effectively doubles their DNS and Web traffic. This is not true.
From Microsoft's perspective, IPv6 is a mandatory part of the Windows operating system and it is enabled and included in standard Windows service and application testing during the operating system development process. Because Windows was designed specifically with IPv6 present, Microsoft does not perform any testing to determine the effects of disabling IPv6. If IPv6 is disabled on Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, or later versions, some components will not function. Moreover, applications that you might not think are using IPv6—such as Remote Assistance, HomeGroup, DirectAccess, and Windows Mail—could be.
Therefore, Microsoft recommends that you leave IPv6 enabled, even if you do not have an IPv6-enabled network, either native or tunneled. By leaving IPv6 enabled, you do not disable IPv6-only applications and services (for example, HomeGroup in Windows 7 and DirectAccess in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are IPv6-only) and your hosts can take advantage of IPv6-enhanced connectivity.

Read more. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m....cableguy.aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/135823-wireless-wired-problems-internal-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Dear all I and both Lost network wireless wired connection. just joined this forum and with an urgent problem I have a laptop running win xp It was running fine this morning I then brought it to a Honda dealer The problem started there At first I got a strong wi-fi signal but not network connection I tried to repair by right clicking on wireless network icon on the lower-right corner The first time it seemed trying to do something but nothing helped The nd time Lost both wireless and wired network connection. when Lost both wireless and wired network connection. I tried to run repair the process hang and the machine could not be rebooted or shut off I have to hold the power key for a few seconds to turn it off Now I am at home using another computer to post this message which indicates my home lan and my router are working fine But my laptop still has no connections - neither wired or wireless A few screen shots are attached here for your review Many thanks in advance for the help nbsp

Relevancy 64.5%

Hello I m dreaming of building a network at my workplace The endpoints are Combining network wired wireless Solved: and besides computers analytical instruments communicating via TCP IP There are several laboratories each with its own wired network that I want to incorporate into one common network I have very Solved: Combining wireless and wired network limited experience in this field I know how to set up a wireless home network with a WiFi capable router and connect to it computers equipped with wireless modems I know how to create a wired network through ethernet hubs and cables But how do I connect the separate local wired networks Let s say I have two small wired networks They are working properly independently They have the same IP range e g xxx and no IP collisions between them They have also the same workgroup name if it is important Here is how I think they should be connected Get two wireless routers with wired connection ports Connect Router LAN port to Wired Network hub through an UTP cable Configure Router to handle all computers and instruments in Wired Network Set IP number of Router to for example Repeat steps - with Router and Wired Network Set IP number of Router to for example Add IP address to the list of enabled addresses of Router Add IP address to the list of enabled addresses of Router That s it Please comment Is it totally nuts or not so hopeless Thanks Jimmy nbsp

Relevancy 64.5%

After getting infected with "Conduit" and using Microsoft malware removal tools I lost Windows. So I restored XP windows but it did not put back the network adaptors for hard wired and wireless internet connections. It took me hours of trying to get online and a call to my provider when we discovered the local network area connections for both wired ethernet and wireless did not exist. Please tell me where to find, download and install them.... Just so you understand I can click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections….. but there’s no Wireless Network Connection nor is there a wired Ethernet connection listed. The reinstall of Windows did not install them!!!! Where can I get them?

Relevancy 64.5%

I have the following setup, which works fine:
Broadband cable comes in and connects to a cable modem. Connected to the cable modem is a wired router, which can accept 4 ethernet cables. I have 2 desktop computers connected to the router; 2 ports are vacant. These computers do not have wireless cards.

I also have a laptop, with a wireless card. I want to use the laptop throughout the house. I just inherited a D-Link DI-524 wireless router. Will the wireless router work if I connect it to one of the vacant ports on the wired router, rather than directly to the cable modem?

Relevancy 64.5%

I have a wired linksys router that works fine. I'm not using DHCP on it, its setup at 192.168.1.1. My pc which only has a wired NIC, connects with no problems.

I recently bought a tplink wireless router. I changed it so the ip is now 192.168.1.254 (it was 192.168.0.254 originally which meant I couldnt access settings to change from the default password, SSID).

I got the tplink wireless router, so I wouldnt have to be tethered with a wire on my laptop for internet. However, I've wasted time with tech support which I can barely hear or understand. I'd like to get this working, otherwise I'm sending everything back, wireless router and laptop.

I can ping both the linksys and tplink from my laptop with no problems. I can get connected to the tplink wireless router without a problem but I cannot get to the internet. I don't know what to do.

A:Connecting a Wireless Router to Wired Network

What you should have purchased is a dedicated wireless access point rather than another router because getting the configuration correct for a dual router set up can be a real pain. You could have also purchased a router with both wired and wireless access.

Even when set up correctly a dual router network can still be unreliable. The required settings might be different depending on which two routers are being used. If you can get the settings correct it may work though.

The link below explains the settings required to basically turn your wireless router into an access point. Let me know if the settings detailed in the link below work out for you.
Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point Wireless Networking Forum FAQ | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/228271-connecting-wireless-router-wired-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I feel stupid about asking, but is it possible to set up a home network with a PC that is wired to the wireless router and my laptop that is wirelessly connected? I've tried both the "setup home network" and "setup wireless network", and either im a complete friggin idiot or it really doesnt work...
I really need to use the printer thats connected to the wired desktop from my laptop. No problems obtaining internet access wirelessly through laptop.

Desktop: WinXP Home
Laptop: WinXP Home
DSL Modem: Actiontec, Qwest DSL
Router: Linksys WRT54GC
-network authentication type: open
-data encryption type: WEP
-connection type: ESS
Printer sharing and file sharing is turned on on both computers, network group is the same on both, just cant figure out the dang network thing.

A:can I setup network with wired pc and wireless laptop?

Sounds like you've already done the setup that I am going to repeat below anyhow. Maybe you have 3rd party firewall issues to take care of. Tell us where in the following things go badly.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. If it complains about a cable unconnected, tell it to ignore.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-setup-network-with-wired-pc-and-wireless-laptop.468418/
Relevancy 64.5%

I am running Windows 7 as my primary OS via wireless on my laptop, and I have a server pc setup and wired to my router which is running DD-WRT.

In my router config I see both computers but I can't see either on my network, and I haven't the slightest clue why. Could anyone out there help me?

A:Win7 Wireless PC Doesnt See Wired XP on Network

Ok, I tried to ping from my Win7 PC to the xp pc via cmd prompt and it said destination host is unreachable.... I really need to get this server up and running. Anyone have any ideas? They both are on the same workgroup, etc... and I disable ipv6 on my network adapter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/3123-win7-wireless-pc-doesnt-see-wired-xp-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello newbie member here Not too savvy with the computer please bear with me We have a home network with one laptop and one desktop PC Cable modem router Vonage phone and things seemed to be fine months ago we bought a wireless laser printer and installed it Since then our internet - both wired and wireless - is very inconsistent Page hangups are very common Sometimes but not always we can refresh and the page will come up This happens all the time for what seems like - seconds at a time Has made the Vonage phone unusable we can t use Checkpoint to access work computers we get kicked bad and network - wired wireless Solved: connection off can t download large files reliably We took out the printer literally we put it in the garage like Solved: wired and wireless network - bad connection it was possessed but no improvement Replaced the router Replaced the modem Took off our Vonage phone Turned off firewalls Cable company has Solved: wired and wireless network - bad connection repeatedly found nothing wrong with the delivery to the house Nothing has helped What s really strange to me is that this affects the wired laptop as well as the wireless desktop When one is down the other is down when one is working the other is working We re at our wits ends Any guidance that can be provided Solved: wired and wireless network - bad connection is much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 64.5%

Can anyone help me network my two home computers?

One is connected to a wireless network through a router; the other is connected to the router via ethernet cable (its wireless adapter isn't working; that's a problem for another thread!)

The laptop's network has a different name from the wireless network. How can I get them on the same network without having to hardwire the first computer or buy a new wireless card for the second?

Both are running Windows 7. Should be easy but I'm stumped.

A:Home network: one wired computer, one wireless

Well, if you want both to eventually be hooked up wirelessly, then I'd suggest that we attempt to fix the other computer's "wireless issue" first. But if you don't want to do that, then here are the steps I'd suggest for now:

Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, and then click Network and Sharing Center.
Click Set up a new connection or network.
Click Set up a new network, and then click Next.
The wizard will walk you through creating a network name and a security key. If your router will support it, the wizard will default to Wi‑Fi Protected Access (WPA or WPA2) security. We recommend that you use WPA2, if possible, because it offers better security than WPA or Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) security. With WPA2 or WPA you can also use a passphrase, so you don’t have to remember a cryptic sequence of letters and numbers.

To connect your laptop or desktop computer to your wireless network, follow these steps:
Open Connect to a Network by right-clicking the network icon ( or ) in the notification area.
In the list of networks, click the network that you want to connect to, and then click Connect.
Enter the security key. You can either type in the key or insert a USB flash drive that contains the security key into a USB port on the computer.
NOTE: YOU WILL HAVE TO DISCONNECT FROM YOUR CURRENT CONNECTION IN ORDER TO SET UP A NEW ONE. ONCE YOU'VE DONE THIS, THE SETUP SHOULD BE RELATIVELY STRAIGHT FORWARD.

If you have any questions or need more assistance in setting up a new wireless connection, let us know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-one-wired-computer-one-wireless.928623/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a wireless network set up with desktops and a laptop on it one desktop is still cabled and not wireless My son has wired wireless working not machines network, and all a PS hooked to the router as well for online games I added the fourth desktop today and was able to get online for a short time but now can t get online I get the dreaded check your network connection page on that desktop He can t get online with his PS The desktop is wireless just installed it today I open up wireless and wired network, not all machines working the Netgear connection on the desktop that won t connect and there is no connection I click connect and it says the signal is excellent but then i can t get online I have checked the cable for the PS and find nothing wrong with it The other desktops one wireless and one not and laptop are fine so I am clueless as to wireless and wired network, not all machines working what is going on I have unplugged and plugged in the cable don t know what else to try for the wireless I have DSL so I have a router from the provider but there wasn t enough ports I have a network printer also so I added a second Netgear router One wireless and wired network, not all machines working port on the router from the provider has never worked I also have a wireless access point for my laptop which is new and came wireless Where do I begin to figure out the problem nancy nbsp

A:wireless and wired network, not all machines working

We fixed it, by resetting the router. The desktop and PS2 work now.

Nancy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-and-wired-network-not-all-machines-working.407522/
Relevancy 64.5%

My current set-up is as follows:

I have a central wireless router, which feeds my house with wireless internet.
I have my laptop, which I use as my main computer, in the basement receiving it's connection from the wireless.

What I am attempting to do, is use a separate router in the basement to connect to my network drives. This router does not have a wired internet source, but will be used solely to connect 2 Network drives, my laptop and my XBOX.

I have tried multiple set-ups, but can't seem to get Vista to recognize the contents or detect the network drives through the LAN connection on my laptop, even if I disable my wireless.

My question is how I might solve this problem (if possible) and if it can be done while maintaining my wireless connection.

Thanks in advance,
Craig.

A:Networking Both Wireless and Wired for Network Drives

To make sure the wireless is used for internet access you assign a static IP and mask to the ethernet connection, leaving the Gateway and DNS server blank.

Make sure the ethernet connection is designated 'Private' and that any 3rd party firewall (security suite) is configured for the desired access.

While connected to both networks please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-both-wireless-and-wired-for-network-drives.740455/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a network that is wired and wireless.I have a wireless router for my laptop. and my desktop is wired to the router. I am running home on both computers and i want to know how to set it up to be able to transfer files between the 2. Is this possible? thanks

Relevancy 64.5%

I just had my house wired for ethernet, and I am going to buy a linksys wireless router. This way I can use the already built in 4 port switch in the router to hook up my wired network, and also have a wireless at the same time. But anyways, my question is, is that I won't be using the wireless portion of the router for a couple of months, but I will be using the wired part right away. Is there anyway to keep the wireless part from broadcasting, so that no bandwith is lost or anyone can get in? I am wondering if you can get it to totally stop send a wireless signal, or at least could I make it so that no devices can connect? Thanks

Relevancy 64.5%

I'm going nuts. My PC will not connect to my wired network, but it will connect to it wirelessly through an USB N adapter (I couldn't afford the downtime). This happened on another wired PC in my home about 5 months ago and I simply left that on the wireless connection but I would like the security of the wired for my main PC. A win 7 laptop plugged into the same outlet with the same cable works fine so I assume it has to be my NIC card, drivers or some setting. Where do I start?

A:Lost wired but not wireless connection to my network

Resetting your router would be the first course of action here. You will need to go back in to your routers set up page and make sure all the settings are correct after that or if you have a router configuration file handy it's easier.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229236-lost-wired-but-not-wireless-connection-my-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

As a newbie to networking I need an answer Wireless Is PC Network Solved: Secure on Wired to a question that the rest of you will probably think should be apparent Duh I got Solved: Is Wired PC Secure on Wireless Network volunteered to help set up a small network for a Food Pantry Ministry that serves several communities within about a mile radius The existing network in this little church is open-wireless linksys wireless G broadband router so the Internet Solved: Is Wired PC Secure on Wireless Network can be accessed as an afterschool HotSpot for a small youth group The church s - computers that are used intermittently during the rest of the day all have Windows XP SE I have insisted that they take steps to add security They use two of the pc for banking and payments to from grocers and other nonprofits for the food boxes Also even a hotspot needs security right So should I recommend that they add password security to network and post it on a sign inside the church for some degree of security Then hardwire any office PCs that will be used for financial transactions directly to the router If the rest of the network is wireless is a hardwired PC secure or can a PC connected wirelessly through a shared router eavesdrop on a wired PC Oh yes we have a second identical router - so if it is possible and would help to use separate passwords and daisy-chain the routers let me know Thanks Fanis nbsp

Relevancy 64.5%

First timer so help me along gently hahahha Here s how it goes I have home computers running on cable with router hub I wanted to add a WIRELESS ROUTER to this setup so I can run network with on Problems routerand wireless wired same the laptop all over the house No need to wireless the other computers here s the sad story loooking for some info Problems with wireless routerand wired on same network on how to get it to connect to internet All computers are working except the laptop lights blink etc appears to be running ok just won t connnect Hope I didn t miss any steps here s what I did Cable modem connected to LINKSYS BEFSR- ROUTER HUB took one of the open ports to the UPLINK port of LINKSYS EZXS W PORT SWITCH I want to add other computers later then I took port to the internet plug on a LINKSYS WIRELESS G WRT GS I have a DLINK AIRPLUS DWL-G card in my laptop It shows the wireless connection when I right click on the task bar it gives INTERNET CONNECTION and also LAN HIGH SPEED CONNECTION I cannot connect to the internet What DO i need to do nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

I am having Internet connectivity issues that only affect my computer and only affect it when I'm using a wired connection as opposed to a wireless connection I would just use the wireless except that it's too weak here at my house especially in the room affects Internet wireless not wired but connectivity problem, internet where I'm working and thus it's slow or doesn't work But now it's all I have unless I use another computer From my computer I can access the NAT router's settings page by entering into my browser and I can even reboot the router from it but I cannot access the Internet When I type into a cmd window tracert it works and even when I type in tracert my internet IP it works but typing tracert followed by any other IP fails saying Host Unreachable My point is that it's obviously not the network connection because otherwise Internet connectivity problem, affects wired internet but not wireless I wouldn't be able to access the router from my computer And it's definitely not the DNS or DHCP servers since I can verify that both are working But the icon in the system tray on my computer says quot No internet access quot You might think it's the router or the ISP but when I boot in safe mode the wired Internet connectivity is working and I can access the Internet normally Plus I tried power cycling both the router and the cable modem but that didn't have any Internet connectivity problem, affects wired internet but not wireless affect And like I said only this computer is affected I noticed the trouble began after I installed Nero and restarted my computer Before that I was able to access the Internet normally I need Nero because I'm burning CDs or else I would just uninstall it and see if that corrects the problem Besides I cannot think of any reason why Nero would be having that affect on my computer especially since it is working normally otherwise I have Windows Home Premium -bit and I am accessing the Internet behind a Linksys E Cisco NAT router My wired network adapter is a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Drivers are up to date Thanks for your attention and let me know if any of you have any ideas on how to fix it I've tried everything that I can think of It's a bummer not having Internet on my computer since I need it for work

A:Internet connectivity problem, affects wired internet but not wireless

Try reinstalling the LAN driver for your mobo or see if there is an updated driver for it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/271951-internet-connectivity-problem-affects-wired-internet-but-not-wireless.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello I have a problem and it appears to have been for there for a while I have wired computers on my network and maybe - wireless computers that aren't always on I use computers one restart needs Network (wired and loses connection, wireless) laptop wireless and one desktop wired laptop XP desktop Vistax The laptop one day suddenly kept dropping connections to the net but a re-enabling of the network card would usually Network (wired and wireless) loses connection, needs restart solve the problem Then it would drop randomly again after that I thought it was something wrong with my computer so I reformatted it but the problem kept coming back But now I don't use that laptop much anymore so that doesn't worry me However I bought new tower desktop the wired one with high end specs i e Q bit processor and whatever else comes with a high end computer and this uses a wired connection to the router I've bought it for only month The ethernet cable is also new The router is a D-Link DI- - years already Less frequently this desktop also started disconnecting randomly but more of these disconnections occurred during the times I would use this to play online Warcraft games rather than me surfing the net and using MSN Messenger The difference here is that with the desktop I can't re-enable the ethernet card because in the Device manager the window crashes when I right click for the drop down window on my Network Adapters list This doesn't happen when the network is working The Networks and Sharing Center also takes ages to load and sometimes never loads just hangs Everything else in Windows works perfectly fine I am not sure if they are the same problem However one other laptop Windows vista met the same issue as the desktop It had the same crashes in the same places the network sharing centre would hang as well For the desktop and that other laptop only a reboot would solve the problem I don't know if it is because the Vista laptop accessed the networks using windows and if windows had an error then the connection couldn't be repaired However with my XP-laptop the network was managed by Intel Pro Wireless and the problem could be solved with a simple reenabling but would recur MORE FREQUENTLY I have yet to check the network IP status of the computers during a connection-down but pulling out the cable to my desktop does not solve the problem Neither does resetting the router What I do know is for my laptop and my desktop a disconnection on the laptop doesn't mean a disconnection on the desktop Vice versa I don't know as of yet The disconnections for the laptop seemed to start after I assigned WPA-TKIP keys to the network but an ethernet cable connection to the desktop means that the problem should be independent of the pass keys So the only filter for the network for my desktop is the MAC filter With the second desktop that I mentioned I have yet to see it disconnect or hear of other people complaining about disconnection maybe because I rarely use it Has anyone else experienced this problem I don't want to get a new router before knowing the problem because if it isn't the router then I would have used my money for nothing Thanks Edit ALL MY DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE ACCORDING TO VISTA INCLUDING FIRMWARE FOR THE ROUTER OF WHICH NEW FIRMWARE IS UNAVAILABLE ON THE DLINK WEBSITE -dcde

A:Network (wired and wireless) loses connection, needs restart

Don't know if this may help...

I was losing connectivity and then found out my old cordless phone ( house phone ) was a 2.4 GHZ phone. that is the same freq as wireless-

I went into the router and changed the channel to 11

Now I never lose connection.

Carmine

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/221395-network-wired-wireless-loses-connection-needs-restart.html
Relevancy 63.64%

One of the users in our company turned on bridging on his XP laptop and connected to both the wireless and the hard wired ethernet connection. Within half an hour, his PC which was now acting as a mini router, had bridged the two networks and shut down over 900 people. The wireless stopped working totally. The only way we fixed it was to find him, and have him turn off the bridging.

Is there any way to tell our Cisco switches to shut down his port when the PC is using bridging?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bridging-wireless-and-wired-networks-shut-down-our-network.26869/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi

I'm trying to connect a network capable fax/scanner/printer device to my wireless network via an additional wireless accesspoint.

I have WPA-TKIP security on the main wireless router.

I'm having trouble configuring the additional wireless accesspoint. Any advice to do this would be appreciated.

thanks

Relevancy 63.64%

Hello,

Since a few weeks, I have a problem with my laptop running W8.1 (Toshiba Satellite P50-A-12PBE). Sometimes, after bringing Windows back from sleep mode, I seem to have no connection to the internet. Windows says the connection is 'limited', wether I'm connected with a wire or wireless. Resetting the router doesn't solve anything, but rebooting my pc does.
Since both the wired and wireless network are always simultaneously affected, I think this hasn't anything to do with drivers (I already have the latest versions by the way).
As suggested in the topic with tips, I have made screenshots with ipconfig-results when I'm connected with a wire.

When there is no problem, it looks like this:
And when the problem occurs, it looks like this:
I see there is a difference, but I'm not a enxpert at this, so it would be awesome if one of you could help me with this.
Thanks in advance!

Jeroen

A:Wireless and wired network 'limited' after sleep mode

You did not need to post the two command window shots. This is common when coming from Sleep state with Windows. The OS has to wake up the various devices out of their sleep state. Think of it like trying to get a bunch of people up in your household. It takes time for each one to get up. Same thing happens in Windows.

This has been known since XP SP3 came out. Never will know if MS will fix it in 9.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/44443-wireless-wired-network-limited-after-sleep-mode.html
Relevancy 63.64%

A friend gave me a Linksys WRV54G wireless router which I'm using only as a wired router for my computer, tivo, and media player. After resetting it, the default settings connected everything fine. So far I've only changed the password.

In the "Wireless/Basic Wireless Settings" tab "Wireless Network Mode" is currently set to "Mixed". Should I go ahead and set that to "Disable" so no one can log onto my network? Also, in that same tab, "Wireless SSID Broadcast" is enabled. Should I disable that? Are there any other security settings I should adjust? (The firewall is enabled.)

I'm running Win 7 32-bit.

Thanks!

A:Solved: Disable Wireless for Wired Local Network?

Yes, set the Wireless Network Mode to Disabled. That is all the wireless security you need, as that actually turns the wireless off. Since the radio is also the most power hungry component you will save a little electricity and the router should run cooler.

Somewhere there is a setting for "remote access." This is to allow a login to the router from the internet; disable it if you have no need to do so. And if you do enable this make sure your login password is a good one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-disable-wireless-for-wired-local-network.1070761/