Windows Support Forum

Can't View network computers via wireless in XP

Q: Can't View network computers via wireless in XP

I cant view network computers via wireless in windows xp.

its my work computer and i need to connect to the printer is anybody can help me asap i would gladly appreciate it...thank you in advanced...

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\bodyshop2>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bodyshop2
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : launchmodem.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-3F-D8-C9-4A

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : launchmodem.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-B Notebook Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-06-6A-C8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.104
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 18, 2007 9:16:37 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:16:37 AM

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can't View network computers via wireless in XP

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 86.86%

Hi there, I have 1 laptop and 1 Desktop PC connected to my wireless network, using a adapter for the desktop. I cannot see my desktop for example if i go to "network" on my laptop. the only computer there is my laptop, but not my desktop. I have enabled sharing etc...and tried going to the individual folders and enabling them for sharing. No luck. Would appreciate any help at all.

Relevancy 86.86%

I have 2 computers (2 desktops, both desktops have a wireless connection to the internet via a Netgear router and USB adapters). Both computers have the same workgroup name and all use Windows XP Home SP2. Both computers connect to the internet fine, however,I can open a file or folder from workgroup computer PC 2 from PC 1, but when I try to access a folder on PC1 from PC 2 I get an error message states that the file is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The network path was not found. Also, when I try to view workgroup computers from either PC I see only the comptuter I am searching from.

Other information that might be useful: Windows Firewalls are on, AVG Internet Security is installed and running on one and McAfee Security is running on the other one. I can ping each one to the othe fine. All permissions are properly set for sharing.

A:Cannot view workgroup computers via Wireless Network?

Can you ping both ways by computer name? Have you disabled all firewalls to see if this is a firewall issue?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-view-workgroup-computers-via-wireless-network.614697/
Relevancy 74.82%

Dear all - ok I am a forum virgin so go easy on me. We have a 10 pc'c 6 of which run XP Pro two of which run Win7 and two run Win 8.1. I have set us all up as a workgroup with homegroup disabled on the two win8 pc's. I have set profiles on the win7 and win8 all to have shared file on, discover devices on and in the advanced sharing set up all setting are share file on/password off etc. All is fine except one of the win8 pc's simply will not show any of the other pc's within the workgroup other than the other win8 pc. I have trudged and trudged to see if I can find a solution without success. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

A:unable to view xp computers in network view on 8.1 pc

Have you tried setting up a different user profile on the Windows 8 machine with the problem?

Try setting up a standard account on the problem machine then see if can see the other machines. This will tell if you the current user profile is corrupted.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/45562-unable-view-xp-computers-network-view-8-1-pc.html
Relevancy 70.95%

After starting my Windows laptop if I go to the Control Panel Network and Internet View Network Computers and Devices a device is listed that is not on my network It is listed as either a Ralink wireless client Model RT U or a full ariel Model KFARWI and if I right click on the device and view the properties the Model Name and MAC Address are shown I checked the Device Manager and it was not listed in the Device Manager Also my router did not show it as an attached device I have Win laptop a Win laptop an iphone android phone ipad WD NAS and HP wireless printer connected to a Netgear AC wireless router with MAC address filtering enabled When I log into the router I have never seen either device mentioned above listed on the router list of attached devices nor do any of the devices I have on my network have the MAC address listed for either device After a short period of time the device disappears I have set up my network as a private network My concerns are Are the devices a security issue and can they access my network How come my computer detects them The devices do not list either a work group or a network location so am I correct in assuming the devices are not connecting through my router Is there anything I can do to prevent it from being detected

A:Unknown Network Device in CP\View Network Computers, Dev.

Do you have a Kindle?  This (KFARWI) looks to be an Amazon Android device - of which the Kindle is the most common device (IMO).
Search Google for Amazon KFARWI

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579758/unknown-network-device-in-cpview-network-computers-dev/
Relevancy 70.52%

hi

i have windows 7 on both machines, where i am so far away from my router i have an alfa wirless adapter hooked in to it and i bridged the conections with my lan and hooked up a new router, everything works fine like the internet but when i try and view files on the network i cant see the computers hooked on the new network and they cant see me eather. help

A:cant view other computers on network

So both your machines connect to the same router or you are using one computer as a relay to your router by having 2 networks on it, if so are these both wireless or is one wired.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/198587-cant-view-other-computers-network.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I finally got windows all setup on this computer but I cannot view my other computer through the network I was trying to setup a homegroup but it's not recognized So I decided that sharing files and folders was enough for me but I can't view either computer from the other To make this next part a bit easier to read I will call the computers compA and compB Whats really confusing me is I can view computers on different network I took both computers and connected to another network where I was able to view the computer on that network which is running vista The vista computer was able to view and communicate with both compA and compB compA and compB could obviously view and communicate with the vista computer but could not see each other I started thinking that it was a router issue but I checked other view network Cannot computers on everything I could think of to no avail I have also searched this forum and completed every step in this Ultimate Troubleshooting Guide for Windows HomeGroup Connection Issues Still no joy I don't know if this helps but I have an Xbox on the network as well The Xbox can use files videos and music from compA but cannot see compB Maybe this indicates a problem with compB Can anyone think of something that I missing BTW both compA and compB are running Win bit

A:Cannot view other computers on network

I Feel like I'm taking a Microsoft cert with this question LOL .

Make sure that both computer A and Computer B have Client for Microsoft Netwroks & File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.
Click Start orb, type in ncpa.cpl Press Enter.

Navigate to your current connection and Right click and choose properties.

Verify that Client for Microsoft Netwroks & File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. have checkmarks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/274979-cannot-view-other-computers-network.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Can anyone help me Please I had try everything I can but still Can't view My computers Places others in Network not working - Windows Firewall is disabled - I can ping the other computers IP addresses but I Can't view others computers in My Network Places cannot ping their names - Enable NetBIOS over TCP IP is on now as well - Reset TCP IP stack to installation defaults type netsh int ip reset reset log - Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults type netsh winsock reset catalog Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Administrator gt NBTSTAT -n Local Area Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id No names in cache Wireless Network Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- HP lt gt UNIQUE Registered Can't view others computers in My Network Places HP lt gt UNIQUE Registered WORKGROUP lt gt GROUP Registered WORKGROUP lt E gt GROUP Registered WORKGROUP lt D gt UNIQUE Registered MSBROWSE lt gt GROUP Registered HP lt gt UNIQUE Registered ADMINISTRATOR lt gt UNIQUE Registered C Documents and Settings Administrator gt IPCONFIG ALL Windows IP Configuration Host Name HP Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address C- - Can't view others computers in My Network Places D- E-EB- Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description USB Wireless LAN Card Physical Address C - A- -CA-B - Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Wednesday November AM Lease Expires Thursday December AM nbsp

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi all..

Good morning..

here i hav a small problem..

i have a network printer connected to an XP system..
the printer software is installed only in this system and was used by all the users in the network..

it was working fine for last 4 months..

now suddenly its stops working..

when i checked the network.. i cant see this XP computer frm other computers..

now when i searched for other computers from this XP computer in My Network Places, nothing is visible other than current system..

but when i tried to ping other computers, its working..
also when i run \\computername from run also working..
when i typed the command net view in cmd, it shows only the current system.

pls help me to solve this..

thanks in advance..

A:Cannot view computers in My Network Places

Hello,

Do you know when this problem occured? You could try using System Restore to try restoring to a date before the problem occured..

Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

Regards,
George

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-view-computers-in-my-network-places-518239.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Dear All I have stumbled on a strange issue on my home in network view foreign computers pc The short story is I can see other computers in my network view which is not suppose to be there ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting It looks like this on imageshack Only one of these pc's is mine Before you jump to conclusions i want to share what I did so far i'm an IT professional coder and has been so for years System Windows Ultimate bit MS security essentials is running - nothing comes up I cant ping foreign computers in network view these other pc's nslookup cant resolve them Clicking them produces an error The network path was not found Windows Firewall is on I tried Sysinternals tcpview - nothing suspicious going on - no connections to the names Only mac adresses i know is connected to my router I cant see any of these quot pc-ghosts quot in attached devices Wireless security is quot on quot I have as far as I know never been connected to these computers Tried purging arp cahce Tried nbtstat -R Tried changing home network name Any ideas how to find out what is going on Where does explorer get this information from to display a network icon Googling this quot phenomenon quot show many people have had are having this experience but in no forums I have seen a solution All the best Bike Skeeto

A:foreign computers in network view

Could you post a screen shot of the window you are seeing these ghost PCs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/156399-foreign-computers-network-view.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I want to view all computers in my network. If I click "view workgroup computers", I can view only computers in my workgroup. There are more computers with different workgroup name in the network. I would like to view them as well. Is it possible?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-view-computers-in-different-workgroup-in-the-same-network.979397/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi there I recently contacted the company that makes the Network Attached Storage device Cannot the device computers network NAS my view other or on I have synology DS but they were unable to assist me with my issue as quoted quot I would love to provide help with this issue but our support policy we cannot offer such support since we only support our NAS devices only Your issues falls into category of issues with windows quot So the issue with my network is this nbsp I have a barebones PC Cannot view other computers or my NAS device on the network running on windows and Cannot view other computers or my NAS device on the network a Network Attached storage device both of which are Cannot view other computers or my NAS device on the network connected to one another via ehternet and also to my router directly via ethernet I also have an Asus laptop and a Macbook pro which are all connected via wireless nbsp Before we moved house recently the network was working fine and I was able to view all computers from all computers on the network - This includes being able to view the NAS from my windows computer barebones Now that I moved I am not able to view any computers on the network However just this evening I completed a fix by clicking the box quot Enable NetBIOS Over TCP IP nbsp quot and I nbsp can now view the other computers on the network - but I still can't see my NAS device which is troubling The following items have either been checked or tried gt Network discovery is turned on gt I turned off the firewall and restarted the PC barebones - no fix gt Synology mentioned it may have something to do with DNS - not really sure where to start with those settings gt I am successfully connected to my network and have internet access on all computers gt I can access my NAS via wifi online server but this will not do I need to beable to see it as a networked drive Thanks in advance for your support regarding this matter nbsp Tony

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/579f708f-b0f4-496d-9316-f10ebbf70d03/cannot-view-other-computers-or-my-nas-device-on-the-network?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi, this question is for a friend of mine at work. She has 2 different computers at her home.One is a Desktop that has Vista and the other is a Laptop that has Win-7. They are both on a router and the Laptop is wireless.

She said originally someone had it setup to where if she was on the desktop, she could see the drives on the laptop and visa-versa but not she unable to do this. She dis say there are 3 different profiles setup on them, one for her, her daughter and her husband.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great...thanks so much...

A:How to view drives on 2 different computers on same network?

What changed? Did she reinstall or change workgroups, etc?

To find computers on the network, network discovery must be turned ON. To access files, etc you must select what files and or folders you want to share.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-view-drives-on-2-different-computers-on-same-network.1050061/
Relevancy 68.8%

I have done a search already on this topic but none of the suggestions in those threads helped with my issue First off I have a small office network going on at my firm We have workstations all computers network to Unable Solved: view with the same specs running Windows Solved: Unable to view network computers XP Professional Service Pack We are using a D-Link DIR- router Two machines connect via wireless using n usb adapters and the third machine connects via CAT We have a NAS drive and a Dell Multifunction printer connected to the network as well I am able to set up file and printer sharing on the network as long as I map each device using pcname sharename I am able to ping each device from all of the computers I have disabled all firewalls on all of the machines using windows firewall and McAfee My issue is I am unable to view any of the workgroup computers I get an access error stating that my workgroup is not accessible etc I am trying to implement Acronis to do back ups of each of the workstations using my machine as the administrative machine I can use our Anyplace Control software to access all the computers but unable to access the machines via My Network Places Any help you can provide would be tremendous Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

Hey guys well I'm trying to set up the best network possible.... I use the Linksys WRTG. And I have 2 wired computers, and 2 wireless computers. But everyonce in a while I have problems, and don't know what to do... or how to fix them. Right now I can see the folder for my other wired connection, but I can't access it and I can't see the computer in the "View networked computers", so I guess that folder is there just because windows has seen it before, but not now.

I'm thinking about just restarting my network again, anyone have a good guide or anyhting?

Relevancy 67.94%

Usually I use the arp -a command to view all computers connected to the LAN network, however sometime the arp -a can't miss to discover 1 or 2 computer but the rest of group of computers is discoverable by arp -a.
Is there anyway to view all LAN network computers with built-in tools from windows OS?

A:How to view all computers connected to LAN network without 3rd party software?

Apart from the command that you are using, the only other way that you will be able to see all devices on your LAN is if you are in the same workgroup as the devices and if they have something that can be accessed by you (Share). To view all available shares go to command prompt and type the following command exactly:

Code:
net view
This should bring up a list of devices that can be accessed by your machine.

A similar viewing can be seen in networking and sharing center

Note
I am currently using Windows 7 however please be assured that the steps are the same

Hope This Helps,
Josh!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/300613-how-view-all-computers-connected-lan-network-without-3rd-party-software.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I am about to return this brand new computer running Vista since it won t connect to my exiting computers on my wireless network It will however connect to the wireless netork to get out to the internet Here is what I have Brand new computer runnig Vista home premium Wireless netwrok external netgear ma network tomy connecting on but computers other not vista wireless network connection that can vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network see the internet I am using it now It can see a windows computer as well as my laptop running Windows Xp but when I try to connect to those computers it gives me an error message I googled this problem and disabled my vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network firewalls I created same user accounts on all with same passords I also tried same user accounts with no password neither works Any suggestion before I return this i relaly want to make Vista work since it at last looks different I like new interface - makes my life more interesting - I know VERY SAD Any suggestions nbsp

A:vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-connecting-tomy-wireless-network-but-not-other-computers-on-network.631622/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hey everyone,

Does anyone happen to know how to successfully create a network in Windows XP Pro for a wireless laptop and for an Ethernet-hooked-up (non-wireless) computer. I'm trying to printer and file share the two together BUT I've exhausted myself in trying to make it happen. Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something? Perhaps hardware?

I would truly appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks all!

A:HELP on setting up an XP network for wireless and non-wireless computers together...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-on-setting-up-an-xp-network-for-wireless-and-non-wireless-computers-together.323389/
Relevancy 62.35%

Title basically explains it.

I've got two computers connected to the same wireless network, and yet they fail to see each other. Both computers have file/printer sharing enabled, and yet I cannot see/access the files on the other computer.

I'm absolutely stymied as to how to fix this.

Help's appreciated,

-'Mage

A:Computers not seeing each other on wireless network?

Yes. I also have the same problem. Sorta. I have a laptop and a desktop. So does my brother, laptop and esktop. His desktop and laptop cannot connect to anything of the other computers. My laptop can. but my desktop could, but stop seeing the others on the network a few days ago. Please Help. Thanks

Pspness

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computers-not-seeing-each-other-on-wireless-network.57014/
Relevancy 62.35%

My laptop (Dell 600m, Window XP) can't detect wireless network suddenly. On the lower right hand corner, there's an "X" on the wireless network icon. I've tried "view the available network", "repair" by right clicking the icon but it did not go anywhere. I also checked the "wireless switch" (Fn+F2) and device manager->network adapter->Intel PRO 2200BG wireless connector, both seems to be fine. So, any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 61.92%

I have a wireless network which includes a cable modem and a wireless router to send wireless signal computers 2 of 1 can't connect on network wireless to two computers Everything was working fine for a long time until 1 of 2 computers on wireless network can't connect today Suddenly 1 of 2 computers on wireless network can't connect one of the computers a laptop was unable to connect The other computer a desktop continues to have internet access Therefore I assume the modem and router are ok and the problem is with the laptop The wizard on the laptop detects the network The correct password is displayed 1 of 2 computers on wireless network can't connect in quot properties quot However the wizard says that it can't connect to the network Diagostics was unable to explain The wireless button on the laptop is green and the laptop says LAN is on I took a look at network adapters in device manager which shows two wireless devices one microsoft and the other realtech both quot working properly quot I used system restore to go back the previous day which didn't help I ran ipconfig from the command prompt which says quot media disconnected quot on all of the adapters including the wireless I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless networks which make no difference I ran the procedure for resetting winsock to no avail I was unable to update drivers on the laptop without internet access I'm stymied and need some ideas

A:1 of 2 computers on wireless network can't connect

did you try a power cycle on the modem and router? Pull the power plug on both for a 10 count then plug back in starting with the modem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/1-of-2-computers-on-wireless-network-cant-connect-859713.html
Relevancy 61.92%

2 Laptops, both with XP Pro. Using Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router wrt54gx2. Both computers can now connect to the internet okay. But they cannot communicate with each other. I ran "Set up hom e or small office network" wizard on both; said they connected to the internet through residential gateway. Rebooted; still cannot see each other. Under Network connections, each can see its own shared folder but nothing else. Both computers are on the same workgroup.

Any suggestions on what to look for to get them to recongize each other?

Relevancy 61.92%

I have a dlink wireless router with a Dell M1530 laptop and a XPS 420 desktop. After a lot of help from Dell, I set up the home network which was working fine. I even set up some network drives to look at and transfer files between machines. Now, the network seems to act strangely. Most of the time, the other machines mapped drives show up with the red X and can't get connected. The network connections don't show the other machine but an IP scanner will sometimes see them. I even used the IP scanner program to transfer files between machines even though they supposedly were not connected.

After the trouble I had getting the network set up, I hate to try to set it up again. The internet access to both machines works fine. I have all hard drives set to share. I use WEP security.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/142096-seeing-other-computers-wireless-router-network.html
Relevancy 61.92%

hi guys, im working in a small hotel and im having a problem with our wireless network.
Some of our guest couldnt detect our wiless network and some of them can. I already ruled out the possibility of iterferance because i tried to bring one of my guest laptop in our server room but still couldnt detect the signal. I already did some basic trouble shooting like reseting the server and turning their wireless adapter on and off but still didnt work.

Most of their lap tops are running vista and they were brand new.(toshibas and hp's)

any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Mark

Relevancy 61.06%

I have two computers both windows XP A laptop and a desktop Both of them connect wirelessly the laptop with a card and the desktop with a wireless G on Network. one Wireless of my on get the Solved: computers. two can't I internet usb adapter to my Linksys Wireless G Network Router Recently the internet on my desktop computer Solved: I can't get on the internet on one of my two computers. Wireless Network. has had quot Limited or no connectivity quot When I try to start Firefox it says server not reached I connect to my quot source quot which I assume means my router but I can not find the internet My laptop and my home phone both get internet access through the same router and they work just fine By the way my ISP is Comcast For about two years my desktop had internet access with the same adapter but a few days ago it stopped working I called Linksys and after a looooooooooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg time of trying to solve the problem and a lot of repeating the same information to different technicians they told me that I had to replace my adapter I got a new adapter the WUSB GC plug in adapter and installed it The one computer icon on the bottom right of my desktop still has a yellow sign with an exclamation point next to it that says limited or no connectivity I have made sure that I had the correct security code I changed all sorts of settings in the Properties of the Internet Protocol TCP IP in Wireless Connection Properties including making it so that I typed in my own IP address subnet mask default gateway and Preferred and Alternate DNS servers I visited on my browser many times and I did alot of unplugging and restarting I also reinstalled the drivers for both of the adapters numerous times NOTHING HAS WORKED Please help me get the internet back on my desktop Ask any questions that could prove helpful Thanks so much for your time P S This is my old adapter http www linksys com servlet Satel versiondetail And this is my new one http www linksys com servlet Satel ypage download nbsp

A:Solved: I can't get on the internet on one of my two computers. Wireless Network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-i-cant-get-on-the-internet-on-one-of-my-two-computers-wireless-network.722599/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a dell desktop running windows vista that connects to my wireless router with a cable I have an HP laptop that is running windows that is wireless When I look at network computers on the dell I cannot and with wireless same network wired the computers to connect get an error message that says that the computer is not accessible The same thing happens when I try to log onto the desktop from cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers the laptop When I try to run the network wizard from the desktop I see see connect to the internet connect to a wireless router or access point setup a dialup connection and connect to a workplace None of them make sense cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers but I tried connect to a wireless router and got a message that said to cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers set it up manually or set up a flash drive neither of which makes sense I tried set it up manually and all that happened is the router setup screen opened up I tried the same thing on the laptop and the setup the network wizard opened a screen that said choose a wireless router or access point to configure but nothing ever showed up on that screen I hate to knock windows but this all seems unnecessairly complicated It can t be that odd to have wired and wireless computers on the same network nbsp

A:cannot connect to the same network with wired and wireless computers

sorry, not clear if your issue is connecting those pcs to the internet or if you are trying to share the computers across your network

do both pcs work on the internet OK ?

if sharing
Here’s how you can get your Windows 7 PC to share printers and files with XP and Vista PCs--and even a Mac
http://www.pcworld.com/article/184232/set_up_your_home_network_windows_7_edition.html
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246/share-a-printer-on-your-network-from-vista-or-xp-to-windows-7/

Share files between windows 7 and vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/

Here’s how you can get your Windows 7 PC to share printers and files with XP and Vista PCs--and even a Mac.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/184232/set_up_your_home_network_windows_7_edition.html

Complete Guide to Networking Windows 7 with XP and Vista
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15247/complete-guide-to-networking-windows-7-with-xp-and-vista/

if you are trying to get on the internet
can we see an ipconfig /all from both pcs - make sure we know which is which
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should also work for windows 8
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-connect-to-the-same-network-with-wired-and-wireless-computers.1075184/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi Everyone,

I am attempting to setup an Ad Hoc Wireless Network between two Windows 7 computers. On my Desktop Computer I have created the actual network as per the screen shots below -

The end result is an Ad Hoc network available through my Desktop Computer -

However even though the network is seen as available from the laptop, when a connection is attempted there is an error -

A few additional points -
I have tried dhcp & manually setting the I.P. address on both computers (with the same result)
Both computers belong to the same Workgroup
Both have file sharing enabled
Both have Network Discovery enabled
I chose no security to rule out encryption

If anybody has any idea of what I am missing here can you please share?

Kind Regards

Davo

Relevancy 61.06%

Hi I have set up a wireless network in my home using s d-link N+ 300 DIR-655 and the desktop that is directly connected to the modem and router can connect to the internet and my laptop can access the wireless network and get online but I have another desktop that cannot connect to the wireless network. It can see it but when i try and connect i get the message that it was unable to connect or sometimes that i was able to connect but have limited connectivity. Im not really computer savvy but i follow directions well so any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been driving me crazy and i have done everything i know how to correct it and I am sure that i have the correct WPA password in there so that is not the problem.

Relevancy 61.06%

is there a way of viewing which computers are connected to a wireless network at any one time?
without logging into router settings?

A:Viewing which computers are connected on my wireless network

A free program like Angry IP Scanner can give you a list of connected computers for a given block of IP addresses. It does not separate wired vs. wireless connections.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-which-computers-are-connected-on-my-wireless-network.621246/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello all I am new here to the forum and wireless computers for network be both reason freezing? my Can the I did read the faq and etiquette stuff I did also do a few different searches to see if anyone else had posted a similar problem but unfortunately found none I have had my Linksys wireless g card since August It really never got a work out until after September though because I was barely using the laptop then a note I have all Linksys equipment I am now running my Dell Latitude C laptop and my home built from many parts computer running Can my wireless network be the reason for both computers freezing? on the linksys network Lately I have noticed that my mouse freezes while I am on the internet via the laptop but if I disconnect my wireless card the mouse pops back into motion and everything is cool Well not too long after this started my desktop totally froze everytime my AV and Windows Defender would try to access the internet Is is possible something in my network is causing this I have also had the interesting problem of my desktop which is wired to the router is jumping on the wireless network instead I have limited okay VERY limited network experience Any help would be much preciated Thanks nbsp

A:Can my wireless network be the reason for both computers freezing?

>I have also had the interesting problem of my desktop (which is wired to the router)
> is jumping on the wireless network instead.

if it's connected to the same router that supports the WiFi, then this is normal.

To your question re active wireless leading to a freeze; YES.
get the make/model/version numbers for your Linksys (likely WRT54G)
as well as the same info for your wireless adaptors in all systems.

1) get the lates firmware for the router and update it
2) do likewise for each system.

also make sure you are current with Microsoft Updates for all systems.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-my-wireless-network-be-the-reason-for-both-computers-freezing.74579/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hey, I have a home wireless network for two XP PC's and one XP laptop. One of the PC's and the laptop both have internet access through my comcast internet and linksys routers, but the other PC wont connect. Ive tried unplugging and re-plugging the routers, and re-booting. I can connect to the network (it says connected with very good signal) but I can't get on the internet.both of my other computers are on the same network but they can connect just fine. I dont know any computer language so please only use 'noob' terms. Thanks so much for the help, it is greatly appreciated!

-MXB-​

A:On my wireless network, all my computers have internet access except for one.

Well, I've experienced something similar, but to fix it you'll have to do some things that aren't too hard...

Try going on to you're router's web based configuration page and change the IP (I'm guessing that the default is 192.168.0.1) to 192.168.0.2

That might not work, and knowing me, I wouldn't bet on it, so, maybe you should try changing channels on your router to avoid any interference. Try changing it to 11, that helped me in other areas I can remember.

Have you gone on the PC and checked the wireless on there? It says its connected you say, so in the task bar should be a little icon meaning Wireless is detected (And hopefully connected)

Try right clicking that, and going to Status, then Properties. There should be a new window that comes up, with a list of things with check boxes. Scroll there, and find something called "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Once there, make sure that "Obtain IP Address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" are checked.

I don't know what else to tell you if that doesn't work, other than upgrading firmware of your router, which is fairly easy.

Best of luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/on-my-wireless-network-all-my-computers-have-internet-access-except-for-one.84008/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have connected my wireless network like this:

Cable modem-> computer-> wireless router -> 2 more computers.

I have the computer with internet connected into a lan port on the router and used the network wizard on Windows XP after giving my router and the other computers on the network static IP's since the internet connection wanted the IP my router was originally on.

After days I have gotten as far as seing the internet gateway connected on my other computers and my wireless network connected but i can't open internet explorer on these computers.

Im doing the network this way because i have no choice. The Ethernet on my cable modem is broken and the modem is out of warranty. Getting a replacement from my ISP is like pulling teeth and theoretically this should work....

Could someone please tell me something else that maybe I should check? (before going mad, that is)

Thanks

A:No internet on computers connected to Wireless network

What you are describing is windows Internet connection sharing. I've used it before and it is extremely difficult to get working and extremely unreliable. I had to keep resetting my modem about every hour or so to stop the whole setup from locking up.

You really would be far far better off getting your modem fixed and doing it the proper way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-internet-on-computers-connected-to-wireless-network.88677/
Relevancy 61.06%

I ve got a Sony Vaio labtop I bought months ago in the US I m in Australia now but have no international warranty Sony tells me to send the labtop to Sony repair so they can look at it They trouble shooted over the phone but it didn t help 2 wireless connected when computers network to BSOD Asked me to reformat the hard drive which I really don t want to do This is the problem The computer works fine and I can connect and browse the internet with my wireless connection However as soon as I connect another computer to the wireless network or if I m in a hotel using wireless it also happens because other computer are connected to the same network I get the BSOD The problem is that I cannot say exactly when it happens SOmetimes it happens within minute of being connected and browsing Yet sometimes it takes min or maybe min I don t think I survived longer than h though with computers on the same wireless network I didn t notice the problem at first because I only used the one computer So I think the problem has always been there but I didn t notice it until I connected a nd computer To get the blue screen I don t even have to actively browse I could just scroll down on a page and it happens without warning Do you guys think this is a hardware problem and I need to send my PC to the US for repair I d much rather try a few things before I do this Can you help please nbsp

A:BSOD when 2 computers connected to wireless network

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver. Assuming that you are using the integrated adapter get the driver from Sony's web site. Even if you have the latest driver reinstall it anyhow (in case the installed version is corrupted).

Also try these repairs ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bsod-when-2-computers-connected-to-wireless-network.1020463/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a problem that comes with a long story so sorry i have cable internet which is set up inside my house the cable modem is connecet to a Two see routers cant on wireless network Solved: computers wireless router via a ethernet cable to the wan port This is then connected to a wireless access router via port one of wr to the wan port of wr this is set up in an office about mts away from wr on wr i have disabled the wireless as this caused many problems an connected an access point as advised by dlink wr also has two other computers Solved: Two wireless routers cant see computers on network connected to it including an exchange server these are connected to the wr ports All computers can connect to the internet via Solved: Two wireless routers cant see computers on network the access point or wr or wr without an issue All computers in the area of wr and the access point can see all computers on the network but when anything is connected to wr they cannot see the exchange server or any computers on the network lan settings as advised by dlink wr wr I am at my witts end nbsp

A:Solved: Two wireless routers cant see computers on network

Here's the recipe for connecting two routers to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-two-wireless-routers-cant-see-computers-on-network.656402/
Relevancy 61.06%

I m going to try to include as much info as I won't Can network wireless view connect but laptop can but please bare with me as I m struggling with all of this and am utterly frustrated after weeks of trying to figure out what s going on Basically I have a Gateway laptop it s about yrs old has had some issues in the past and is now operating on a bootleg copies of Windows tablet XP I have been connecting Can view wireless network but laptop won't connect to the wireless router that is set up in our house but there were some connectivity issues recently and my mother reinstalled Can view wireless network but laptop won't connect it and set up the network all over again Now I cannot connect with my laptop The network will show up as available to connect and when I click on it it asks for the WEP key which my mother set and I type it in and nothing happens It doesn t give me an error message that I typed Can view wireless network but laptop won't connect in the wrong key The box simply goes away and I stay unconnected Nothing on my laptop was changed in anyway from when it was connecting to when it wasn t There is another Newer Dell Laptop in the house and that can connect to the wireless network and work without issue I m at a total loss as to what I should do and its becoming quite a sore topic in our house Please Help if you can The router is a belkin router if that helps at all nbsp

A:Can view wireless network but laptop won't connect

no help with pirated versions of windows here

closed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-view-wireless-network-but-laptop-wont-connect.948772/
Relevancy 61.06%

I can't get a vista PC to view web pages on a wireless network. It is connecting OK via a Netgear USB adapter with updated Vista drivers and Netgear software but when I try to reach a page I get "page not found"

I have noticed in the IE address bar it is trying to reach a long garbled URL beginning with autoredirectaol%"*%&)$

ISP is AOL.

Could it be wanting to to sign into AOL first?

Norton Internet Security is also installed could this be blocking something?

Still getting to grips with Vista so any help would be appreciated

Ian

A:can't get a vista PC to view web pages on a wireless network

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Also...

Changes that may help to increase the compatibility of Vista with older networking devices:

Disable the IP Helper service:

1. Go to Start and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Scroll down to the IP Helper service, right click on it and select Properties
3. In the dropdown box that says "Automatic" or "Manual", set it to Disabled and then click on "Apply"
4. Then click on "Stop" to stop the service from running in the current session
5. Click OK to exit the dialog

Disable IPv6:

1. Go to Start and type in "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter
2. Right click on each network connection and select "Properties"
3. Remove the checkmark from the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
4. Click OK to exit the dialog

NOTE: You should do this for each network connection.

Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag:

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233

Go to Start and type in regedit and press Enter.
Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
In this registry path, click the (GUID) subkey to be updated.
If the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag does not exist, use the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. In the New Value #1 box, type DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then press ENTER. If the key exists, skip this step.
Right-click DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
Close Registry Editor.
NOTE: You should do this for each and every GUID subkey.

The only program I'm aware of that currently relies on IPv6 is the new Windows Meeting Space. The first 2 changes will cause that program not to work - but will leave all of your normal (IPv4) connections unaffected. If it causes problems that you can't overcome, simply revert back to the original settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-get-a-vista-pc-to-view-web-pages-on-a-wireless-network.656826/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi guys,
I am trying to log into my wireless network at home and when I try to view wireless networks I get a box that tells me I do not have sufficient privileges to access or change them.

Its XP, IBM Thinkpad laptop..

A:Cannot View Wireless Network on Laptop? Error

Are you running as an administrator? If yes, reply back to me with more detail. If no, log on as an administrator.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-view-wireless-network-on-laptop-error.710051/
Relevancy 61.06%

Greetings,
i'm having an HP laptop with windows 7 installed on it, but cannot view available wireless network. under network and settings i can see the wireless network card, which means the wireless drivers has been installed. but can't view my wireless network but other computers are viewing my wireless network.

Please i need your help.
Thanks

A:WIN 7, laptop unable to view available wireless network

What model is the HP?
Make and model of the wireless card?
Is it showing any wireless networks, just not yours?
Is the wireless card turned on? i.e., Wireless indicator light is on.
Has the card been disabled? No Wireless icon in task bar, shows disabled status in Network and Setings or Properties.
Have you checked Device Manager, Network Adapters to see if any problem indicators show?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-7-laptop-unable-to-view-available-wireless-network.1076693/
Relevancy 60.63%

I have computers a Dell Inspiron laptop and a Dell desktop both running Windows XP Service Pak I also have printers an Epson Stylus Photo R and an HP Officejet wireless I have a Speedstream modem and a D-Link g GHz wireless router Is it possible to connect the printers and computers to the modem Solved: a Connecting 2 2 network printers computers to wireless and and router Are there splitter cords available that would allow me to make the proper connections I don t have my wireless Solved: Connecting 2 computers and 2 printers to a wireless network connected at the moment because there were problems in the past with security Could someone tell me what I would need in order to connect everything wirelessly I Solved: Connecting 2 computers and 2 printers to a wireless network would also like to get a larger hard drive for my Dell desktop Right now I only have GB memory and GB hard drive with GHz processor Pentium D What brand of hard drive should I look for and how many GB Can I leave the GB in the tower along Solved: Connecting 2 computers and 2 printers to a wireless network with the new larger one I have no idea what would be compatible with my system Thanks for any help you can give me nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

Hi I have recently purchased a new laptop which I bought in US and use it in the UK Laptop Specifiication Gateway ID C u Intel Core i - M processor GB DDR Memory Intel HD Graphics GB HDD Windows I have been unable to get a strong wireless internet connection on my laptop since I bought it Obviously since I bought it in the US I can not return to the store I bought it from hence why I have come here to look for advice I am at compared on other to wireless same connection Poor computers network University and connected to a network in my halls of residence which is provided by the landlord- this means I have no access to the actual router I can get a wireless connection although it is a very weak low strength Poor wireless connection compared to other computers on same network connection causing my internet to run slowly Everybody else in my flat who are connected to the same network are able to get a much stronger connection than I am and do not encounter the same problems When i first turn my laptop on and go to connect to the network it shows an excellent strength connection However once I connect after around seconds or so this drops again to give me a weak connection When I open the details of my network connection it says I am receiving a speed of Mbps I have also tried to connect in places where I know I could previously get an excellent connection on my old laptop- I have still encountered the same problem of only picking up a very weak wireless signal Somebody I explained the problem to suggested it may be because I am picking the wireless signal up through the software installed on my computer when I should infact be picking it up through Windows I m not sure if this makes any sense to anybody- but I have not found a way of how to do this myself Any help would be much appreciated Just let me know if any more information is needed about my computer Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

Can I restrict the internet speed of computers connected to my wireless network? For example, I want to restrict the speed of computers that connect to my network to not go higher than 100 kB/s for upload and download. And the speed for my computer to remain unlimited. My wireless network is through router Sweex 300N.

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restricting-internet-speed-for-computers-in-wireless-network.1061753/
Relevancy 60.63%

At our office we have atleast 10 computers and they are all connected to a wireless Network using D-Link wireless adapters. All the computers are able to connect to the internet and browsing the net is not a problem, but the problem is in accessing some of the computers on the network, I keep getting thse pop up error messages saying " \\comp1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions". I am the Technical guy in the company overseeing tthe network. Please Help am stranded and my job is on the line.!

A:I can connect to the wireless network in my office but i cant access some computers:

Sounds like you don't have permissions. Is this a domain or a workgroup network? Sounds like a workgroup.
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login. NOTE: Vista's default is to require a password on the account to enable file/print sharing.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing. You can open a command prompt as described above and type the following command: nbtstat -n. This will display the status of NetBIOS or indicate it's not configured.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-can-connect-to-the-wireless-network-in-my-office-but-i-cant-access-some-computers.952935/
Relevancy 60.2%

i wiped my laptop and now the View wireless network icon is gone. any ideas how i could get it back because now i cannot connect to the internet

A:View Wireless network icon is gone after a wipe on my laptop

Please do not post duplicate threads on the same issue. Your other thread is located here. http://www.techsupportforum.com/f108...op-388788.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/view-wireless-network-icon-is-gone-after-a-wipe-on-my-laptop-388784.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Is there a freeware program to view WZC profile information from the command line? I found one that allows you to display the profiles themselves, however to display the profile properties I haven't found one.

I could also use direct registry edits if I had to, using the reg command. The problem being, that it would appear that the information is stored in binary format, which I've got no idea how to even manually pull the profile name from. The only thing that information seems to give me, is the abillity to later manipulate the order of the networks, that is maybe. I don't need that part yet, but will later on. I guess, since viewing the profiles is so slow, direct registry edits "might" be preffered. This is WZC I'm concerned about, not any third party utillities. I'm using Windows XP, and it's SP2 or later.

A:View Wireless Network Properties from the Command Line

Researching further, it looks like nobody knows how to pull the information from the registry. I've got Windows XP, so netsh wlan won't work. It looks like this is leaving me now with 2 solutions to get some of this information.

Solution 1: Use some kind of programming API to get the information and display it from the command line. I've therefore heard that there seems to be an interface called the WZC native API. If that's true, how would you use it in AutoIt or in a BATCH file or in a VBScript? I've never used anything like it before, so I need detailed explanations of what the code does, except for that doesn't mean I need to know all the internals of every function. But I need to know how to use it. I know BATCH files well, but I don't really know the full VBScript or AutoIt languages, though I can make some of it's code out anyway.

Solution 2: Somehow maybe use AutoIt in another way to read the properties from the dialog box. I know from research that this is probably possible, but I don't know how to do it. And what I need to do, is hide all that visible clicking going on, even if I'm doing some clicking. That is - hide it from the end user. It's nice to see it moving on the screen, but I'd rather not see it if I were the end user, in this case.

Now keep in mind, that at this point, all I'm trying to implement in these programs, is a way to do exactly what you can already do in Windows XP by default (but it has to be compatible with Windows XP Home, Pro, and MCE), except for from the command line. This is just one small part of a larger picture. I'll then be able to use that command in my other parts of my code that I need it in. So my general rule that I need to follow, is if you can't do it in the Windows XP dialog boxes, you can't do it in this program. If you CAN do it in the Windows XP dialog boxes, you CAN do it in this program. But everything is from the command line, in the end result. If Windows XP already provides a command line, which in this case it doesn't, I should use it. If that's not possible, I should use the registry, but I guess that's not possible if nobody knows how. If that's not possible, I guess I'll try to use a VBScript, and if that's not possible, I'll try to use AutoIt. But the end result is a command line program.

I hope this starts to get me down the right track. It took this weekend to find this information so far.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/view-wireless-network-properties-from-the-command-line.774772/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello,
I have two computers a desktop (pc1) and a laptop (pc2) I cannot get the laptop to see any shared folders on pc1. I have had a computer company come to my house to network it and they spent over 2 hours but could not get the laptop to see the desktop. I have a linksys wireless router and a netgear adapter for my desktop and a wireless card for my lap top. I have unchecked the simple file sharing on the desktop. Please help, no one has been able to fix this problem. Both computers have XP Professional with service pack 2. Thanks for your help.

steve

A:[RESOLVED] laptop cannot view desktop on wireless network

What firewall on the Desktop? . . you can disable it long enough to set up the sharing, then enable it

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resolved-laptop-cannot-view-desktop-on-wireless-network-172727.html
Relevancy 59.77%

What I am about to not computers workgroup off... Wireless or connecting dropping Network: occasionally describe does not happen all the time and rarely happened until I added a rd machine to the network Three computers on network - call them A B and C A is connected to router by cable B and C by wireless cards both DLink just like the router Router is DI dynamic IP and DHCP I share files directories betweeen all three machines I have experience in doing this Sometimes when I turn all three machines on one or more Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off... of the three machines is unaccessible to the others vis a vis shared files directories Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off... For example from A looking at C from My Network Places C s resources are quot Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off... unknown quot Sometime C can t see B s resources Once they hook up though the almost always stay hooked up Nevertheless getting into the Internet is never a problem - only the file sharing This is ALWAYS fixable by one of the four following ways a reboot the offending computer b disable and encable the offending computer s network connection c the most fun - If A and C can t see B s resources go to B go to My Network Places and let B find the resources of the other two and d start MSWord on one machine and try to open a Word file on the offending machine s shared folder Eventually I always get in and share the resources I have disabled the Windows firewall because I have ZoneAlarm installed on all three machines On all three the network loopback adapter are in trusted zone I have also defined an IP range to which is also trusted The syndrome above seemed to have been worse with dropping even after an initial successful connection before I went into the Windows Firewall advanced tab and unchecked all of the Network Connection Settings boxes although this might be my imagination since Windows Firewall was disabled in the first place I have tried to delete the shared resources and define a new workgroup add network places etc Does not completely solve the problem I have done some checking on this message board before posting Sorry for the length of this but I am quite perplexed especially since the machines CAN share resources ultimately nbsp

A:Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off...

If you always have all three PCs on your network, the problem may or may not be as follows.

If you sometimes just have one PC on, sometimes 2, sometimes a different pair, and sometimes all three, your "problem" is a "feature" of the Computer Browser service.

My simplified explanation: My Network Places is designed to be a convenience for stable workgroups. When you visit it, it shows what it remembers from the last time. With a stable workgroup, this is fast and great. But beware if you add or subtract PCs or even add or remove shared folders or their contents. What is shown in My Network Places is dependent on the Computer Browser service, which polls the network and gets an updated list of resources across the network. It is sorta like a cat--it does exactly what you tell it to do. Eventually. When it feels like it. This is why you often "see" computers that are not on and folders that were deleted and fail to see recently joined computers or folders.

For a technical explanation see http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/ntwsguide/ntwsnfinding.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-workgroup-computers-occasionally-not-connecting-or-dropping-off.452810/
Relevancy 59.77%

I recently replaced my wireless router and Bellsouth computer see -cannot wireless doesn't network Wired computers on join DSL modem with a single Netgear DGN DSL modem wireless router The problem is my desktop which is wired cannot see the laptop computers that are on the network via wireless connection If I start a homegroup with one of the laptops the other laptop can join but my desktop cannot no quot join now quot option If I start a homegroup with my wired desktop neither laptop sees it However if I connect my desktop to the network using my USB wireless adapter then I can establish a Wired computer doesn't see wireless computers on network -cannot join homegroup with either a laptop or the desktop with no problem I have checked that IPv is enabled and that all the services listed in other posts are enabled I'm fairly certain the cause is some setting in my router security but I don't see anything that would prevent my Wired computer doesn't see wireless computers on network -cannot join desktop from linking I can also get on the internet with no problem Please help

A:Wired computer doesn't see wireless computers on network -cannot join

check your firewall settings.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/211133-wired-computer-doesnt-see-wireless-computers-network-cannot-join.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I recently purchased a new Thinkpad laptop. It failed to connect to my Belkin wireless router (limited or no connectivity message) even after I typed in the correct network key. When I turned off WEP protein through my old Dell, the new one can be connected. I then re-enact the protection through the new one using the same key. Now it can be connected under the encryption but the old one is left out. Any suggestions? Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-to-connect-multiple-computers-to-wireless-network-under-wep-encryption.81865/
Relevancy 59.77%

I'm am creating a wireless network for my boss and would like to know if i can use a wireless/wired computer with the installed camera software on it to access the cameras that are hardwired on another computer via a wireless router. the computer that currently monitors the cameras is not hooked up to the internet, so im thinking of putting a wireless LAN on it to have it access the router and have the office computer access the cameras via the router. I wish i knew the name of the camera software to give you. any input would be great. thanks!!!

A:Hooking up a wireless network to view security camera images

Yes having a camera would work. Your camera must be an IP camera or network camera. For you to be able to do this you will need to know the brand of the camera so that you could open up the ports [Transfer image ports, Sound ports etc.]

If you like to your camera via:

LAN: This is possible by opening up the browser and typing in the IP address of the camera

Internet/WAN: Open a browser and put in the WAN IP of your router and the port ex. http:66.x.x.x:8080

Let me know if there is anymore unclear to you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hooking-up-a-wireless-network-to-view-security-camera-images.515992/
Relevancy 59.77%

I wonder how I can disable my wireless network and view their WAN or Lan properties in windows 7. I can do it in windows xp myself though.

A:How I can disable/enable wireless network and view properties of Lan connection?

Hi have you looked in device manager

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-i-can-disable-enable-wireless-network-and-view-properties-of-lan-connection-557333.html
Relevancy 56.76%

This is a question for information about why my networking problem finally was resolved I have four PC s on my network one Windows and three Windows XP The Windows PC always sees all three of the other computers However the Windows XP computers sometimes don t see the other XP computers when I press My Network Places Quite by accident I discovered that "View when Network Places" Why "My does Workgroup Computers" doesn't? work if I press View Workgroup Computers then ALL the other PC s in the network DO show up Furthermore if I click through quot View Workgroup Computers quot and access edit a file on one of the other computers then this computer will ALSO show up in My Network Places This behavior seems to be quite consistent and works every time I have tried it Apparently this is a workaround to the long vexing problem of why Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't? my networked PC s sometimes don t show up under My Network Places My question why does View Workgroup Computers apparently always show all the networked PC s when My Network Places does so only intermittently or sometimes not at all Thanks for Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't? any response Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/why-does-view-workgroup-computers-work-when-my-network-places-doesnt-487868.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I did not set up my pc's to share over my home wireless network, but suddenly today I see that all drives and the printer are available between each computer. I had tried to set up the computers to share months ago, but never got it to work and gave up.

The desktop is old, running WinME, one laptop is running WinXPpro, the other laptop is running Vista. They are all connected to a Westell router/dsl modem for internet through Verizon.

So, I turn the desktop off daily. Today I go to turn it off and it says the WinXP laptop is connected and do I really want to shut down. I go to windows explorer on both machines and sure enough I have access to the other drives on each computer. I start the Vista machine and see the same.

Am I compromised?

A:MY home computers suddenly sharing over home wireless network

If you didn't make the change to share all drives, then somebody did. I would assume the worst. Time to reformat and reinstall.

Windows ME is past end of life, and no security updates are provided by MS. I wouldn't run it anymore. Maybe you'd want to try out some linux distros, some are quite good on old hardware. See this review:
http://www.linux.com/feature/52134

It seems you don't have a separate router, I would advise you to get one. I have a modem/router too but I also have a separate hardware firewall/router. The modem/router does NAT but I constantly see connections/attacks making it past the modem/router to my firewall. Having a separate router is a good thing.

Since you are using wireless, did you enable the encryption? If you have WPA or WPA2 use them and setup a long and complicated passphrase. Use WEP if you have no other choice cause WEP can be broken into real quick. You must enable encryption because with wireless, all your machines are sitting ducks when you have close range attackers, whereas with wired, at least you still have a perimeter which you can fortify with a firewall. Also it is especially important to have software firewalls on Each PC when using wireless.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-home-computers-suddenly-sharing-over-home-wireless-network.688238/
Relevancy 54.18%

I am running an HP TouchSmart 600 1050 all-in-one over a Linksys WRTU-54TM wireless router connected to a ComCast modem. When I try to connect to my wife's Toshiba notebook running Windows XP, it will not let me connect saying I am not the administrator. However, I am the administrator on both computers. I can connect from the laptop to my HP and read files. It is only going the other way where I have a problem. Has anyone had the same issue? If so, how did you solve it?

A:Unable to view files on Windows XP over wireless network from my PC with Windows 7

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-view-files-on-windows-xp-over-wireless-network-from-my-pc-with-windows-7.924773/
Relevancy 53.32%

Many moons ago I made a CD-R of various word documents and saved image files on an HP computer using I think Windows ME. Now that same CD-R cannot be viewed in either that computer or my new computer with Windows XP but CAN be partially viewed on Windows Vista laptop. when put into the CD drive the "MY COMPUTER" reads the that the CD drive is empty which I know it is not. so how to view on the regular computers HELP please. I don't really have access to the laptop or vista.and any help looking at my saved AOL/ "art " files will be helpful, this seems to be a standard problem from what I have read.. thanks

A:can't view CD-R on other computers

Welcome to TSG. Do you happen to remember what program you used to burn the cd ? One possible reason may be that you used "packet writing" software in which case you whould need a udf reader installed in order to read it on a pc wihich does not have the packet writing installed on it. Google for udf reader and you will find a link to download Adeptec UDF READER. Give it a try you got nothing to lose.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-view-cd-r-on-other-computers.640136/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have a small network which consists of 2 subnets. Both subnets have full firewall access to each other, with workstations on 1 subnet, and servers on the other. All workstations are Windows XP Pro, completely up to date, the servers are Windows 2003 Server based, and I am using Active Directory. I am running the WINS service as well.

I am trying to figure out why some of the servers only list some of the workstations and/or other servers on the entire network. They are all on the same domain, I can share files, ping, etc. without any issues.

I'm thinking it might be related to some master browser issues, but I have read conflicting information regarding disabling this. I have 2 AD servers, the other servers are just members. If it is master browser related, which machines should be running this service?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

A:Only able to see some of the computers using net view

Did I really stump everyone, or did I post in the wrong section?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/only-able-to-see-some-of-the-computers-using-net-view.861391/
Relevancy 52.89%

I was wondering how I could view the computers on my LAN without actually having to type 192.168.1.1 and log into my router configuration. Is there a way to do this through command prompt?

A:How to view connected computers

SuperScan will show you all of the connected devices that respond to the pings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-view-connected-computers.890552/
Relevancy 52.89%

When I click on the work group computers, the following message displays. " ____ is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this net work resources.Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The server service is not started.

Please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-able-to-view-the-workgroup-computers.779077/
Relevancy 52.89%

My brother asked me to use my bank card to buy some tickets for something (he doesn't have one).

But I think he may have print screened the bank number then sent it to himself. Something like that anyway. You don't know him, so don't assume he wouldn't do something like that.

There is a recent picture which is "d.jpg" which can't be found now. I think something is fishy, he also decided to delete his email password, which I would never check but he never does, and it leaves me to believe he did do something.

So please, does anyone know how I can check if he saved a pic using paint then deleted it?

Thanks.

A:How do I view computers history/log? (Please help)

try the search facility start search

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-do-i-view-computers-history-log-please-help-360345.html
Relevancy 52.89%

my network has both vista & XP Computers . I cannot view the XP pcs from my vista .. all those are on the same work group..

Pls Help

Shiran

A:cannot view Xp Computers from vista

"view"? Meaning you can't ping by IP address?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-view-xp-computers-from-vista.832146/
Relevancy 52.89%

not able to view the workgroup computers
When I click on the work group computers, the following message displays. " ____ is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this net work resources.Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The server service is not started.

Please help

A:not able to view the workgroup computers

Go to Start -> Run
Type services.msc
A list will present itself of all your currently installed services
Look for a service called Server
It's status should be started and automatic

If not right click on the service and click Properties
Set the startup type to Automatic and click the start button then click ok

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-able-to-view-the-workgroup-computers.779079/
Relevancy 52.89%

can view other computers but i cannot access them. i have 2 vista machines one xp and one windows 7. ive tried different hubs, switches and routers. wired and wireless.

Relevancy 52.89%

XP Pro SP1

Click on "View Workgroup Computers" and Internet Explorer crashes. System will only show network folders if each one is individually added using "Add a Network Place". When computer is started in "Safe Mode with Networking", all the network becomes visible.

Any ideas please.

A:Can't view workgroup computers

Assumption: All computers are XPSP1 and using the same workgroup...

Are you using simple file sharing?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-view-workgroup-computers-56767.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have been trying to computers' get to work to 'view workgroup How solve this problem for a long time A little background I have been fooling around with windows computers my whole life and I know that getting windows How to get 'view workgroup computers' to work networking on xp to work is like solving world hunger its close to impossible I have made sure all of the settings are correct in windows file and printer sharing is enabled no firewalls etc the computers are configured correctly on the the network they can all ping each other and access the internet yet whenever I try to 'view network computers' I either get nothing or an error saying that I might not have access BTW I am not running any kind of AD its just a standard WORKGROUP I have been reading online lately about the Computer Browser service and its registry keys IsDomainMaster and MaintainServerList although I can't find a solid explaination about this service Does anyone here know how to configure the service or its registry keys so that I will be able to 'view network computers' and have it actually work And further more how do I designate which computer MaintainsServerList or IsDomainMaster Any additional comments on the topic of the browser service would be greatly appreciated Thank you all in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-get-view-workgroup-computers-to-work-228416.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have an office server set up to about 10 computers. We hired 4 new people and had to set up their computers on our network. Set up was easy and quick as usual. But when I was done, the other computer users, and even the new ones were complaining about not being able to access the DEFCON5 (name of our server) folder to get what they needed.

Basically the only workstations that show up when I click Network are the computers I added the other day, and the computer that is used more than any other computer (the CEO's). We can still access the files by typing the location as \\DEFCON5\***\*** and find what we need. But not everyone at my office is computer savy (no body is) and I would like to not have to keep running around and showing everyone this.

Anyone got some help?

Relevancy 52.03%

OS is XP Home.
Problem:
A.) I can ping computerX within the LAN and part of the workgroup. I cannot see computerX in network neighborhood/workgroup, all I can see is "workgroup" with no computers listed.
If I type in \\computerX in explorer, it doesnt find anything either.

B.) Same computer: When I open windows explorer and scroll down up comes DEP (data execution prevention) and then explorer crashes and restarts.
I added explorer to the DEP exeptions and although DEP doesnt come up via the open of explorer, explorer does still crash.

All of this happends eaven when in safe mode w/networking.

Any ideas?

A:Can ping but cannot map drive or view computers?(XP)

make sure all computers have netbios enable and that the computer browser service is enable on computer Management services and applications and that all computers are part of the same workgroup

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-ping-but-cannot-map-drive-or-view-computers-xp.450131/
Relevancy 52.03%

We have 4 computers at home.
2= old gateways
1= 8 month old e-machine
1= HP slimline
All desktops
We are on a linksys wireless router.

On my emachine computer it only
shows 2 of the computers when I
hit "View Workgroup Computers"

Where are the other 2 computers? And how can i get them to show?

Thank You,
Michael

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi guys!
I have a comp and a laptop connected in LAN trough a router
I'm having problem with my "workgroup computers" on my computer.
It seems it doesn't show computer names so I cant access shared files.
They are pinging each other in cmd they are in the same workgroup,I have netbios enabled, and weird enough my brother played counter strike with his friend on LAN
My node type is unknown on computer and I dont have enableproxy in registry
Thank you for every help available

Relevancy 52.03%

I have a PC and a Laptop connected with each other with a crossover cable i assigned them an IP address i can ping from each of them computers workgroup view Can't Solved: i can view network computers from the Laptop the PC and access its shared folders but i can t do it from the PC From the PC i doubleclick on quot My Network Places quot icon-nothing on the screen here then i click on quot View network computers quot Solved: Can't view workgroup computers and nothing happens no computers appear on the screen no error message and in the quot Address quot field above it continues to show it is written quot My Network Places quot it doesn t change the Workstation service is enabled automatic not started and i can t start it error shows up the dependency service or group failed to start this service depends on the MS OrganizationUnit Exstension service when i try to start it the error shows up the executable program that this service is configured to run in does Solved: Can't view workgroup computers not implement the service Computer Browser service is not started because it depends on Workstation service and so error shows up the same for Net Logon service and Remote Procedure Call RPC Locator service I hope that you can help me Please Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 52.03%

I've got 2 laptops connected to a wireless network. Both can connect to the internet. I've gone through the networking wizard, disabled ALL firewalls on both computers. I can ping my own IP's on each. My Dell can ping my Toshiba, but my Toshiba can't ping the Dell (yes, I am pinging the proper IP's). Neither one can see the other one through network connections. Both computers have the TCP/IP box checked under the wireless network connection properties. When attempting to view the workgroup, I get the "home" network is not available. I've also enabled file sharing on both computers from the root drives. Anybody have any ideas?

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi,

I am using windows 7 ultimate system.

I could open 'network and sharing center' using the run command
'control /name Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingCenter'.

In that window, on the left, under 'Tasks' I have to click 'View computers and devices'

Is there any way to open the 'view computers and devices' from 'run' command.

Thanks in advance
uv

A:run command for 'view computers and devices'

See if what you are looking for is in this list - Canonical Names of Control Panel Items (Windows)

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/run-command-for-view-computers-and-devices-552124.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Can you helpful folks tell me if it is possible to view my photos through picasa on 2 computers on our network?
How do I set it up?

Relevancy 52.03%

In XP, I was able to get memory information from remote computers by right-clicking Computer, Manage Computer, Action, Connect to Another Computer, type in the computer name, then right click on the computer and and click on properties to get the memory information. Can you get information on memory from remote systems in Windows 7? I sometimes need to do this to determine if I need to order more RAM for systems that are being upgraded in an enterprise environment.

A:Need To View Memory On Remote Computers

Did you go though the steps you just listed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/90298-need-view-memory-remote-computers.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I am having an issue and cannot seem to figure out what happened and what is wrong.

I have five computers all running windows xp professional. For some reason I cannot seem to view the "workgroup" computers...

I have checked to make sure they all are using the same "name". I even set-up the network again.

I restarted the routers and computers.

I looked uninstalled and reinstalled microsoft tcp/ip version 6 protocol

I have done everything I can think of.

The strange thing is that synergy still allows me to use the mouse and keyboard on all networked computers. I just can't view their contents.

Thanks in advance for the help.

A:Windows XP can't view workgroup computers

Each computer should have a unique name, not the same Computer name, or they will conflict. They should be under the same Workgroup name, not the blank Workgroup. Make sure each computer has a User Name and Password to login to the computer. Make sure Simple File Sharing is turned on and that there is something shared on each computer. Go to each of the computers Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. In the Command Prompt type ipconfg /all and press enter. Write down the IP address of each computer. Make sure all computers have the same Default Gateway (your routers IP Address). now Ping the the IP address of a remote computer (eg) type ping 192.168.1.12 and press enter. You should get an answer from each computer.
Now go to Start/Run and type the computer name of a remote computer (eg) \\computer this should open the remote computer and show you the shared files and printers on the computer.
If this fails, turn Simple File sharing off.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-cant-view-workgroup-computers-947314.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi,

Recently i purchased a D-Link 8 Port Switch to link my two (2) laptops on the network at home. One laptop is running Vista Home and the other is on XP Pro.

I assiged static IP address on both laptops and left Workgroup name as default (WORKGROUP). I'm able to ping it's laptop local IP address but not able to ping the other laptop IP address nor i cannot view the laptops in My Network Places & vice versa.

When i changed the IP address and used the same IP address which is already used on the other laptop, I'm prompting with IP Conflict or IP already used on the network.

Need your instruction what to do next.

black_tiger

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/181417-unable-view-workgroup-computers.html
Relevancy 51.6%

As the topic says, I'm having an issue where a computer on a network cannot see the other computer on the network.  It is able to connect to the internet, and I double-checked based on earlier threads and the network discovery IS ON.  This computer
is able to create a Homegroup and the other computer on the network is able to see the shared folders when it joins the homegroup, but I cannot create a homegroup on the
other computer and have this computer see it to join it.  The other computer sees this computer in Windows Explorer under Network, but as far as the problem computer is concerned, it is the only computer on the network.
Despite this, when I open up the Network Map, it shows both computers, the router, and the modem.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6789f7fd-6dc6-4b5f-b997-32480bd340c0/windows-7-cannot-see-other-win7-computers-on-network-other-win7-computers-on-network-can-see-this?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey so my brother gave me a new motherboard last weekend and I had to reformat consequently since then however I have been unable to view or access my netbook or network drive Before reformatting I was running on Windows ultimate x and I am now running on the same however in x instead I know that my network is working as I can access my network drive through to other view computer unable now computers and reformatted Just my netbook but I am unable to see my computer or netbook through both devices but seen as my netbook was able to see my pc prior to reformatting I am pretty sure it is an issue with my computer I have done all the usual checks through the network and sharing center to ensure that everything is shared correctly and that network discovery is Just reformatted computer and now unable to view other computers turned on I have reformatted before and sometimes suffered with the same problem but after tinkering around I have been able to fix it so I am guessing it is something to do with the change over to x Any help would be appreciated as it will be annoying not being able to access my files especially those within my network drive without having to use my netbook instead just to be able to use it Cheers Ellie

A:Just reformatted computer and now unable to view other computers

Is the workgroup name correct? Does it match the other computer(s)?

Click on My Computer, select Properties. Click on Advanced System Settings then Computer Name. Click the Change button to change it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/234635-just-reformatted-computer-now-unable-view-other-computers.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have the exact same problem between 2 identical PCs working on XP Professional SP2. When I click on "view workgroup computers", I can only see my own.

Help!

A:View Workgroup Computers only shows mine

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/view-workgroup-computers-only-shows-mine.565761/
Relevancy 51.6%

Any ideas guys? Our workgroup network keeps going funny. Any pre-existing shortcuts work fine, and any of the 'My Network Places' links are fine, but to find a place that isn't showing in 'My Network Places' I have to view workgroup computers, and that tells me " MSHOME is not accessable"

Any idea how I can fix it? Restarting the router doesn't seem to help.

A:Cant 'view Workgroup computers' but shortcuts work.

I'm not sure but try naming all of the workgroups on the computers to the same thing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-view-workgroup-computers-but-shortcuts-work.704867/
Relevancy 51.6%

A few days ago I had a brand new router completely crash. Today I noticed in my new routers firewall log of other computers on my isp being blocked from accessing services. Today I tried to connect to a computer on my local network and discovered I can see the other computers connected to my ISP in the windows networking viewer. Is this something I should call my router company about?
Is this something I should contact my ISP about? Or is this something meaning I should beef up security to paranoid levels?

A:Able to view other computers attached to ISP in apartment complex

Might want to put a password on that router of yours

if you give the make/model of the Router, I'm sure we can walk you through securing it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/175948-able-view-other-computers-attached-isp-apartment-complex.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have recently formatted my computer. I have installed Windows XP on the machine and now I cannot access my workgroup.

I am connected to my network via ethernet, I have made sure I am on the right workgroup and I am.. but I still get the message..

"Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is currently not available."

Thanks

Josh

Relevancy 51.17%

I have a network of XP and Win computers and from time to time the quot veiw network computers quot stops working and hangs the computer for several minutes This is true on XP machines and also true on Win machines in quot Network neighbourhood quot Running computername in Start Run can still access some computers and shortcuts to some computers previously placed on the desktop still work Ping still works and each machine can still access the internet Finally after View hangs solved - workgroup computers computer years of debugging I have worked out the answer The problem is when a computer invariably gets so bogged down with viruses it needs a complete reinstall Part of the reinstall process involves creating a firewall And firewalls usually have a quot trusted View workgroup computers hangs computer - solved zone quot of IP addresses eg to The problem is if you forget to add the quot trusted zone quot especially as this setting may be hidden in a sub menu eg on Zonealarm Clicking quot view network computers quot sends out a message to all machines on the network and they all then are supposed to respond But if View workgroup computers hangs computer - solved there is just one machine on the network with a firewall that is blocking the request the requesting machine will hang waiting for the other machine to respond So one machine on the network that is incorrectly set up can disable the View workgroup computers hangs computer - solved entire network It is even more confusing if that incorrectly setup machine is only on sometimes - the quot view network computers quot hang now becomes an intermittent problem I m posting this here to hopefully save others wasting time going and changing their perfectly good hardware setup and perfectly fine TCP IP settings etc I hope this helps someone nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/view-workgroup-computers-hangs-computer-solved.736158/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have a LAN with three computers attached: one running Windows 95a, one with Win98, and one with Windows 2000 Professional. The two 9x computers can "see" each other in Network Neighborhood, and the Windows 2000 computer can "see" the others, but neither 9x computer can connect into the Win2k computer.

On the Windows 98 computer, I get a dialog box requesting a password to resource \\COMPUTERNAME\IPC$. However, I do not recall setting any IPC password, and the Administrator password does not work there.

The Windows 95 computer, however, simply tells me: "\\COMPUTERNAME is not accessible. Your password has expired."

How can I make the two Win9x computers view my shares on the Win2000 computer?

Thanks in advance.

A:{Solved} - Windows 9x computers can't view Win2k Pro share

Greetings

1) Make sure that your Win9x machines and Win2K machine have the same workgroup name

2) Make sure the Win9x machines are logging in with the Client for Microsoft networks, and that they are using a username and password.

3) In win2K, create user accounts for the username and passwords used to log onto the Win9x machines (or, you could just log onto the Win9x machines with the same username and password you use to log onto the Win2K machine)

Cheers

------------------
Reuel Miller
Windows NT Moderator (yes, that does make me biased )

[email protected]

Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-9x-computers-cant-view-win2k-pro-share.29314/
Relevancy 51.17%

I have 3 laptops on the same router under the same workgroup name. Over the wifi they can not view or even successfully ping each other. However, if I plug anyone of the 3 laptops directly into the router via ethernet I can view/ping the wireless computers and the wireless computers can view/ping the wired computer, over the network.

I'm pretty sure I have all the firewall restrictions set correctly and have the right services running. What am I doing wrong here? I've viewed multiple forums and have tried multiple things but still no dice.

Any ideas would be more than welcome. I've been going through forums on this topic, for hours now; trying different things but nothing has worked... obviously.

I will post the ipconfig for 2 of the laptops... the third is being used for work right now.

A:Solved: Cannot view or access computers wirelessly under the same workgroup.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cannot-view-or-access-computers-wirelessly-under-the-same-workgroup.1019169/
Relevancy 51.17%

I can "Shift" click Windows Explorer icon three times and view three separate Explorer windows and navigate to a specific folder on each networked PC. I would like to know if I can make a batch file or shortcut to do this with one click. Possible or not? I only discovered the shift click combo today after a lot of messing about. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Even if there is some decent freeware that can do this.

A:View three networked computers simultaneously in Windows Explorer

Welcome .

If I understood you correctly you are opening three different windows of explorer and navigate each
to a different network shared folder, correct?

You can also navigate to a specific IP / comuter name on the network like so:

Using the Run command.

\\127.0.0.1\Some Folder or \\Comuter Name\Some Folder
So you can create a simple batch file which will serve as a type of shortcut.

Using Notepad to create the batch.

All I have to do is add start before the path I want to get to.

start \\127.0.0.1\Some Folder or start \\Comuter Name\Some Folder

Note
There is a space after the start command.

Than saving that short command as a .bat instead if the default .txt .

If you're having difficulties just post the paths you want to get to an I can write it up for you .

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309888-view-three-networked-computers-simultaneously-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi I apologize in advance that is this is not a technical question but rather an informational one But I like this community and trust the answers provided here so this is where I thought best to turn to We have a small office and we are all connected via Wi-Fi I was helping my boss wife adjust her Windows update settings and I saw something on her computer that referenced my computer This was awhile ago but I saw quot Christopher-pc quot I think it was listed as one of the devices on our little network here in the office I m not actively purposefully sharing any drives folders on our network but could there be something I am overlooking This is my work personal computer and I don t want anyone to be able to view contents of my computer We re not actively small on office my computers LAN Solved: other computer? our Can access/view running any type of admin software here so that s not a worry This is a small office in a corner of Africa with minimal technology This is basically identical to using a Wi-Fi router in your home and the family sharing the internet connection Are there specific settings I should check in my computer to make sure that my machine can t be accessed Firewall settings are managed by my McAfee subscription and Solved: Can other computers on our small office LAN access/view my computer? I m conservative when allowing exceptions I m just not sure why my computer Christopher-pc was visible on her machine Thanks guys and if there is Solved: Can other computers on our small office LAN access/view my computer? a more appropriate place to ask questions of this nature non-technical issue please feel free to point me in that direction Best Chris nbsp

A:Solved: Can other computers on our small office LAN access/view my computer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-other-computers-on-our-small-office-lan-access-view-my-computer.935839/
Relevancy 49.45%

I own a Gateway C- Tablet PC It view Networks Wireless to New Card, Wireless Unable originally came with a Integrated Intel a b g wireless Mini PCI-E card I did not have great luck dual booting into Linux with it so I New Wireless Card, Unable to view Wireless Networks purchased a replacement the Gigabyte GN-WI GT The GN-WI GT has a AR GS Atheros th generation chipset This new wireless card works great in Linux now however I can not get it to work in Vista Home Premium i know i know but its the best OS for a tablet Seems like I New Wireless Card, Unable to view Wireless Networks swapped my problems I have talked with a Gigabyte tech New Wireless Card, Unable to view Wireless Networks and a Gateway tech The gigabyte rep suspected that the device needed to be enabled via a button on the side of the computer On my tablet the button is using the function key and F I tried this and my wireless card was still unable to detect any wireless networks He checked the driver version which was the latest The device is showing up in the device manager as enabled Vista says the device is working properly He also informed me I should not need any separate programs to connect to a wireless network like some manufactures do The gateway tech was of no use and basically asked me to check the FN F to enable the device told me it was a rd party product and gave me a gateway pay by minute tech line Since the new card is functioning in Linux perfectly fine I find it hard to believe that it is something as simple as enabling the wireless using FN F since you would think I would be require to do it in Linux as well before it worked I am somewhat familiar with Vista but not enough to know if I have checked every setting that could affect this issue Any advice is greatly appreciated If you need more information I will be happy to provide it for you Info Recap OS Vista Home Premium Old wireless card Integrated Intel a b g wireless Mini PCI-E card New wireless Card GIGABYTE GN-WI GT has a AR GS Atheros th generation chipset Windows Driver Version Latest according to gigabyte com tw Support Communication Driver Model aspx ProductID sorry can t post links yet first post nbsp

A:New Wireless Card, Unable to view Wireless Networks

I came up with a semi solution and a semi diagnosis for this problem. I put BOTH cards in at once putting an antenna on each. I noticed that when I booted into windows that the wireless light showed it was still disabled and in fact it was disabled. I used the FN+F2 key to enable wireless and *POOF* both cards work in vista now.

So my guess is there was sort of hardware check that was disabling power to my wireless or something.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-wireless-card-unable-to-view-wireless-networks.98537/
Relevancy 49.02%

Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen I have a home network with laptops and desktop The desktop I use as a quot file server quot in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the to Explorer Unable network computers Windows in see scree home Network desktop The desktop computer name is HAL One laptop is fine and sees the network The other just stopped seeing it rebooted the laptop rebooted HAL did a number of refreshes without any luck I opened EXCEL and found a worksheet that was listed that I knew was saved Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree on HAL Was able to open the file and when I tried the SAVE AS I could navigate through all of HAL just as normal Went to Windows Explorer and still no HAL listed as a COMPUTER on the NETWORK I have a internet connection so I know I am making it to the router at least And when I check NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER it shows an active home network Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree The laptop is running Windows Home Premium Service Pack Build Thanks in advance for any help George

A:Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree

Still working on the problem. Tried to do a system restore back to the point where everything was working. Still no HAL showing as a network computer; Excel now does not recognize the path that worked yesterday. But now I am able to create a shortcut that will take me to HAL on the network. Guess this is a good enough fix for right now. When I go to Windows Explorer, Network it still only shows the 2 laptops and not HAL......WHY????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229783-unable-see-home-network-computers-windows-explorer-network-scree.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have created an ad hoc wireless network by the name quot Trial quot and created a network key as quot letstry quot Now I am trying to login to this network from other computer which is in the same room at ft distance This ad hoc network appears files in to network copying ad ad network computers connecting from hoc hoc and in the list of available networks When I connecting to ad hoc network and copying files from computers in ad hoc network try to connecting to ad hoc network and copying files from computers in ad hoc network login it asks for the network key I provided network key and then confirmed it now when I click connect instead of getting connected to first computer I am getting pop up window mwssage In the title bar of the pop window it says quot Wireless configuration quot In the message it reads quot The network password needs to be bits or bits depending on your network configuration This can be entered as or ascii characters or or hexadecimal characters quot Then I changed network key to quot letstry quot i e exactly ascii characters and now I am able to connect to the ad hboc wireless network of first computer Does it mean that network key has to bne exactly or ascii characters and nothing else than that If not then quot letstry quot network key has ascii characters between and ascii characters then why am I getting this kind of message But now I can not browse files of fisrt computer from second computer or vice versa When I am connnected to ad hoic network and open network and sharing center I see only one link quot My computer - gt internet quot which is broken Usually the link diagram is shown as quot My computer - gt Network - gt internet quot When I am connected to ad hoc network quot network quot part from the diagram is missing If there is quot network quot part in the diagram may be I can browse computers in the network and see other computer But since I can not see other computer this way how can I connect to other computer Whats the way to browse other connected computers in the ad hoc network How do I copy files from one computer to other When I click on computer I can not see the files or folders of other computer Please guide me how to copy files

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/connecting-to-ad-hoc-network-and-copying-files-from-computers-in-ad-hoc-network-479434.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Help! I'm looking for a network tool to monitor network users, sort of an MRTG, that will graph bandwidth use (packets in, packets out) for each client machine. However, I also want to see where the packets are coming and going. The tool I'm looking for should allow me to retrieve the logs or graphs remotely.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

A:Network Monitoring Tool to view how clients use the network

try Ethereal
http://www.ethereal.com/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-monitoring-tool-to-view-how-clients-use-the-network.30401/
Relevancy 48.16%

Virgin ar upgrading out internet to mb yay for free yay However at the moment we are using the virgin router to get the internet into the house and then using a Belkin play for the wireless netwrok to get internet the reason for this is that the Belkin router has a USB socket wireless play network simultaneously? network belkin and virgin wireless on it that we have a hard drive plugged into it with all our music on it so that we cna access our music from all the computers around the house This has worked fine fo rus for a while now However with Virgin upgrading the internet they are provinding some new superhub theri words wireless router for free and it makes sense to use it as I suspect it will be faster and able to cope with the mb internet speed We would however like to still access out hard drive from all around the house So is it possible to get out internet from the virgin wireless router and access the hard drive through our Belkin router So we need to access two wireless routers at the same time Is this easy or horrible complicated i will need to set up virgin wireless network and belkin play wireless network simultaneously? computers to do this - is running windows basic windows home premium windows virgin wireless network and belkin play wireless network simultaneously? professional running vista Sandy nbsp

A:virgin wireless network and belkin play wireless network simultaneously?

should be easy , I had to do the same with talktalk supplied router and my linksys router which had the harddrive via usb for music

what you do is here

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
From a John Will Post

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/virgin-wireless-network-and-belkin-play-wireless-network-simultaneously.1048065/
Relevancy 47.3%

Preface I am running a laptop which I upgraded from windows to windows I also have a desktop that is still running windows One of the hard drives on my desktop is shared and I often-enough will copy files from my laptop to my desktop The laptop connects wirelessly and the desktop is wired Today however I could not get my laptop to see my desktop on the network It is connected to in Other network showing; computers not shows old instead. network the network I am receiving internet just fine When I first click the network tab in the navigation pane it does not list any section for any computers Other computers in network not showing; shows old network instead. So I tell it to refresh and after a moment it now displays three computers all of which were ones I would see on the network from a house I no longer live in Now as it just so happens one of those computers is my desktop as I had it back then but when I try to access it it just gives me the spinning wheel for a while and then just says it can't access it If I click quot diagnose quot it doesn't find anything that's wrong This is pretty much the same result I get form trying to connect to one of the computers from my old house I haven't changed any settings and I was indeed able to connect to that computer at this house just a week or so ago Not sure what the problem is but I haven't tried much other than resetting the computer I'm open to suggestions

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/62461-other-computers-network-not-showing-shows-old-network-instead.html