Windows Support Forum

Hooking old tower to new tower to retrieve old programs

Q: Hooking old tower to new tower to retrieve old programs

I need to retrieve some old info from my old tower. Is it possible to hook the old tower to the new one and use it as a big memory bank? And if so, how do I do it?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hooking old tower to new tower to retrieve old programs

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Hooking old tower to new tower to retrieve old programs

This TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial should get you started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hooking-old-tower-to-new-tower-to-retrieve-old-programs.613660/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello I am new to building the pcs so I am afraid I may have fried mine I really am pry I did not but this is what happened I finish tower Power will not work button My the pc and My tower Power button will not work when I turned on the power supply the power button on the motherboard glowed so then I pressed my tower button and nothing worked so then I re setup he F PANEL cords u know the pwr switch and all that jazz turns out it was set up wrong so I put them in right and tried to turn on the computer again the power button on the motherboard turns on but not my towers power button and so my pc will not officially turn on I am guessing and I am worried that I may have fryed my pc because when I took out the f panlle cords I realized my pc was still on and turned it off immanently and I am afraid that may have fryed the motherboard if anyone can help me it would be wonderful I am freaking out and have no Idea what the problem thank you for reading P S My tower button does not making a clicking sound when you push it I am not sure if that normal or it is broken or somthing it just doesnt make any click sounds nbsp

A:My tower Power button will not work

You could have a defective power switch on the PC case. Test this by using the reset switch as a temporary power switch. The power switch and the reset switch are the same for practical purposes except, of course, the size of the button (on most cases). If the reset switch works and is able to start the PC, then you know the power switch is defective.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-tower-power-button-will-not-work.203422/
Relevancy 67.08%

Asus announced a bevy of new products earlier today at Computex but one thing you might have missed is this transforming desktop PC chassis. Crafted with help from In Win, this unique convertible case from Asus' ROG division takes the...

Read more

A:Asus ROG, In Win show off practical transforming PC tower at Computex

"Practical" is debatable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-rog-in-win-show-off-practical-transforming-pc-tower-at-computex.213595/
Relevancy 20.64%

I ll try slow respond are Programs to to explain this the best I can A computer that I have not the one listed in any Programs are slow to respond of my sigs is having a little issue Programs are slow to respond Sometimes Programs are slow to respond when I turn on the computer I will open up a program the program will open but it s like it opens in slow motion as the program opens you see it slowly go into its open state You actually see it opening I know you can always somewhat see a program open but this is like it is in slow motion It does this for all the programs that I open and close This will actually go away later or sometimes if I restart it When I go into the bios the bios is very choppy It is an ASRock board and when I contacted them they said to reset the bios When I did it helped but now it is doing it again I have reset the bios again and it helped again the other day but now it is doing it again Does this sound like a bios problem Does anyone seem to know I don t know how else I could explain what is happening It is an ASRock Z Pro AMD XFX Vid card GSkill ripjaws memory Xeon E - V Corsair TX PSU Windows Pro nbsp

A:Programs are slow to respond

Slower response indicates the issue of bad memory allocation which is related with multitasking.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-are-slow-to-respond.206144/
Relevancy 67.94%

Bought the following brand new at Best Buy on and trying to get setup Lenovo K e desktop tower keyboard and mouse LG MP HQ monitor MS Office key code Webroot internet security disc After connecting everything according to the instruction of both the Lenovo and LG instructions double amp triple checking all parts accounted for and connected properly here s what happened Lenovo tower up turn Monitor tower, hooked on doesn't to but boots up fine disc drive in tower opens and closes properly Lenovo keyboard and mouse both detected Great so far except LG monitor does not turn on at all In the back of the monitor two things are connected blue HDMI connector with pins on both sides is connected to HDMI connection in back of tower AC DC adapter plugged into electrical outlet and other end directly into monitor Everything works when power booted up except monitor shows no life - no light indicator and black screen Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on Monitor just doesn t turn on at all There are driver discs for both lenovo win and the LG monitor and like I said I can insert them into the tower and close but nothing happens on the monitor display Best Buy said it should be no issue using the LG monitor with the Lenovo PC tower They will charge me to come out to my home even though I bought two year Geek Squad plan They also said I would still get charged even if they were unable to get Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on me setup Seems like there is one probably really easy fix but I don t want to pay to have them come out if I get charged regardless of the outcome Anyone out there with any idea what could be preventing the monitor from powering up other than Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on it s bad which is unlikely as it was brand new sealed in the box Thanks nbsp

A:Monitor hooked up to tower, but doesn't turn on

If no standby LED on monitor, is there a separate on/off switch on the side of the monitor?
With LG there are usually manual buttons for CH+- & vol +- plus On/Off (although I have seen monitors with no on/off at all.)
Also check for 'hidden' buttons on the front lower edge of frame or under the front (right) edge.
I would try a different mains lead/cord that is known to to work, also check for a fuse in the plug, could be missing, or isolated with plastic foil.
Even with no inputs the monitor would show a 'No Signal' sign if it was working.
If no 'standby' LED and you have a separate AC to DC adapter block then that could be the problem. All monitors I've seen have a direct AC connection though.
If it then does work, the on-screen menu will need to be selected, and 'input' changed to HDMI.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-hooked-up-to-tower-but-doesnt-turn-on.204715/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hey there,

I've been playing crysis 3 a lot lately and it usually run's my GPU temp around 65-70 degree's ( MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB TWIN FROZR ) I know the card is suppose to run up to 80 degree's no problem but I was just wondering if I played at these higher temps for 3-5 hours at a time. Would that be to much stress in terms of heat on the GPU ??
I have the Corsair 230T Windowed-BLUE ATX Mid Tower Case> I have just the stock fans in it and I was looking to add more. I was just wondering if people have preference over tower fans ? if so what are some good ones and why ?

A:GPU Temps and Tower Fans

Even 85C for extended periods is fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gpu-temps-and-tower-fans.204260/
Relevancy 69.23%

A few years back I was talking with a friend about dust bunnies in a tower & how to keep them out.
I had a somewhat odd idea of using a case covering somewhat like a pillow case to do such. It gets dirty,take it off & put another one on. Much like an air filter in a car. Does that sound ridicules or not?? Just curious.

A:Keeping dust out of a tower

Might keep 80% of the dust out, but not all would be stopped. Could also get in the way of case cooling, by entrapping heat insde.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keeping-dust-out-of-a-tower.203506/
Relevancy 20.21%

So, I recently bought an Asus UX31a running windows 8(in may) and it was working perfectly until a couple months ago. The only browser that works is internet explorer, which is disgusting (I miss Google Chrome) and several programs such as Adobe reader, Google drive, steam and visual studio either lag for about 5 mins each whenever I want to use them (or click something in them), or I have to close them with the task manager because they aren't responding...(This includes when I want to open pdf documents in internet explorer.

I've run several virus checks with ESET smart security which hasn't ever found any viruses...

It would be a great help if anybody could help me find what the problem is.

A:Multiple programs are stopping to work, also, I don't appear to have had or ever have a virus.

Try using a new Windows Restore point. This may not work because of "it was working perfectly until a couple months ago"... It is most likely caused from a stubborn malware infection other than a virus

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multiple-programs-are-stopping-to-work-also-i-dont-appear-to-have-had-or-ever-have-a-virus.196063/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello, I'm David, and I am having problems with packet loss. I usually use internet to watch videos, play some games and what not, but recently I started experiencing lags. I googled it up, and then tried to see if my pc had packet loss (pinged google.com -t). I had a 6% packet loss. Then I tried it on my other pc (it is connected to the same router and is half a meter away from other one). It had 0% packed loss. Then I remembered that recently I downloaded some programs and stuff on the pc with the packet loss. Could it be the cause of my packet loss? Thank you to all who at least read my delema.

A:Internet packed loss. (Could it be a programs fault?)

What Router brand and model are you using?
Are you connected wired or wireless?
Are you connected 100mbps or 1.0 Gbps.
Have you upgraded the firmware on the router lately?
Also have you upgraded the drivers on the PCs network cards?
Have you ever power cycled the power on the router or modem?
Any switches connected to the router? If so, try a different port.
Have you tried a different port on the router?

Packet loss in a router means the router started degrading on the ports side.
Device could be overheating or just have duff ports (bad)
In your case you can also.

1. Backup config settings in the Router
2. Do a Factory Reset will wipe all prior settings out
3. Restore Backup config settings in the Router

If all was tried you should consider replacing the router only as option though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-packed-loss-could-it-be-a-programs-fault.194386/
Relevancy 70.09%

On my W7 tower, I've been seeing a WI FI icon
but assumed it just meant I could use a usb wi fi device on it which I have done. Well, today curiosity got the best of me & I pulled the DSL out of the back & it totally amazed me to know I was still online, no usb.
How long have towers been like laptops, come wi fi enabled?

A:Wi-Fi-enabled tower?

A tower can have wifi "enabled" if it has a wifi card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wi-fi-enabled-tower.188891/
Relevancy 68.37%

This is confusing to me. Anytime I've been on a laptop in my apt. I have no problem getting a good or very good signal on it, yet using the same Belkin USB device on my tower in the same exact place, low or less than good connection.
The router is on the first floor, I'm on the 2nd floor & a few walls are in between . Why?
I'm thinking of having the router moved, a booster used or relocationg the router.
I'm currently on DSL . Wi-fi is just an option.TIA

A:Laptop Wi-Fi good connection but not tower?

The router should be on the second floor above most of the equipment that it is actually connected to it for the best possible signal strength. I'd guess you're having a driver issue between the different computers, but you're probably gonna tell me that both computers are Windows 7 and have the same driver or something like that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-wi-fi-good-connection-but-not-tower.186134/
Relevancy 17.63%

I did some general maintenance on a friend's computer: -

Ran Ccleaner
Removed old out of date antivirus installed new one, updated it, ran it and removed 1 threat
Turned off startup programs
Adjusted appearance for best performance

Didn't do anything major and nothing I wouldn't normally do.

Her computer runs a lot better now but has chipmunk audio problem I'm going to take a look but I'm thinking: -

Drivers
Direct X
Settings in realtek (or equiv.)

Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

A:Windows XP Chipmunk audio all programs and Windows sounds

Are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-chipmunk-audio-all-programs-and-windows-sounds.186534/
Relevancy 68.37%

So I have this problem: I have this new graphic card for my tower PC and I was wondering could I combine my laptop and my tower motherboard so that I can use the graphic card on my laptop?
Or is there another way to use it with my laptop (maybe a adapter or something?)

Relevancy 67.08%

Nvidia P356 Quadro FX4600 graphics card - 768MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 dual DVI out thank you all

A:Wondering if this will work in my Dell Optiplex GX 280 tower-style PC

As long as you have a PCI express socket on the motherboard, that card will work. You may need a power cable adapter to be able to connect the card to the power supply

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wondering-if-this-will-work-in-my-dell-optiplex-gx-280-tower-style-pc.179573/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi all im looking at building a tower for general use and gaming as cheap as possible and best place to buy parts mainly what u reccomend i get please help

A:Help on building new tower

hmmm anyone please

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-on-building-new-tower.175355/
Relevancy 70.09%

I just put together my new computer for the first time successfully Now I am wondering what to do with my old one Its still operating however it is approx years old running on an Intel Pentium I m old my not? scavenge tower To or not sure what components it has atm but I am wondering if I should look to see if anything it has is worth adding or installing in my new build My current tower has To scavenge my old tower or not? the following and my old tower had both a cd burner and a dvd burner plus some additional RAM i added but it probably isn t compatible I also know To scavenge my old tower or not? it was running a Radeon Sapphire gfx card Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR GB-DX quot GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD Western Digital Caviar Black WD AALX GB RPM SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Corsair Carbide Series R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ASUS P Z -V PRO GEN LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS XFX HD- X-CNDC Radeon HD GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity Intel Core i - K Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost LGA W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics CORSAIR XMS GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC HP X Multiformat DVD Burner Black SATA Model i LightScribe Support CORSAIR H CWCH Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX V W ATX V v EPS V v PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply nbsp

A:To scavenge my old tower or not?

Somewhere there is a young and budding computer tech who would love to have that, and improve upon it, if the price is right.

Otherwise, it is always helpful to have a computer in reserve for when things do not go right. on the new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/to-scavenge-my-old-tower-or-not.175341/
Relevancy 35.26%

hello! excited to be here willing to learn and discuss within.

Ok! I have a problem with this usb of mine a few days ago it was working fine but just this morning as I tried to retrieve few documents I saved there yesterday a error message appeared on the task pane which said that the device had malfunctioned and windows does not recognize the device. I started to panic as this was the first time it had happened.
Did the normal checkups right clicked on My Computer went to device manager scrolled down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers located on which port the usb was connected discovered that it was Unknown tried to update driver but problem persists. Removed outer casing cleaned mother board but inserted usb tilted around abit but problem still there.

Any solution documents very important involves security of a nation.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-still-retrieve-documents-from-a-malfuntioned-usb.171475/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi all,

I have been checking some stats of my computer to run some of the new games, and to my surprise I have found that although 4 x 1024mb sticks have been installed in the computer only 3338mb's show up. I am using Win XP. I was expecting for 4gb to be present.

So is there a windows program that will allow me to test each ram stick without me having to go in to the computer pulling them out individually?

Thanks in advance.

A:Programs to check bad mem sticks?

Because XP is a 32-bit operating system it can only recognize and utilize 3.25 gigs of RAM. It takes a 64-bit operating system lo to recognize and utilize a full 4 gigs of memory or more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-to-check-bad-mem-sticks.171403/
Relevancy 67.94%

I might be building a new computer soon I am wondering if these parts will go well together Motherboard BIOSTAR H ML LGA Intel H Micro ATX Intel Motherboard tower LIAN LI PC-A NB Black Aluminum ATX Mini Tower Computer Case Video card EVGA SuperClocked G-P - -RX GeForce GTS Fermi GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card Memory CORSAIR GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR Desktop Memory Model CMV GX M A C monitor Hanns-G HW- ABB Black quot ms Widescreen LCD Monitor cd m x Power Supply Hanns-G HW- ABB Black quot ms Widescreen LCD Monitor cd m Processor Intel Core i - Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost x KB L Cache MB L Cache LGA W computer witth a Building mini-ATX tower a Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX I If any part in here is not compatible please tell me and point me in the direction of a compatible part if you can I do need the tower everything else can be changed Thank you very much and have a nice day nbsp

A:Building a computer witth a mini-ATX tower

Typo: you listed the monitor twice, once under PSU, Otherwise those parts look fine however even though it is a minitower due to the front mounted power supply that case will support a full ATX motherboard. I would personally recommend a Full ATX motherboard since they offer much more expansion. This is a good option and only costs slightly more, Although If you go with something like this you will get SATA 6gbps, USB 3.0, more memory slots, and a faster chipset.

Also Biostar motherboards are ok but far from the best try to look for boards from Gigabyte, ASUS, or MSI.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-computer-witth-a-mini-atx-tower.170466/
Relevancy 20.21%

The warranty on my computer is about to go and I ve been having so many issues with it that it s not worth even trying to call customer support to try to get them to fix it I had to programs lose Want don't computer to want upgrade, replace the motherboard and power supply like months ago for the THIRD time I even put in a new heatsink and cooling fans this time and I m having the same issues all over Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs again If I Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs build a new computer is there a way that I can just transfer Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs the hard drive so I keep my system intact I have all my files backed up on external drives but there s a few programs and software plugins that I can t get again Somewhere in moving I ve moved like three times in the last year I ve lost the discs and can t afford to re-buy the software and I need them for audio and computer graphics work nbsp

A:Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs

When booting for the first time your old HDD on a new system, try booting in Safe Mode first. Most of the time this will work, then boot in normal mode.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-computer-upgrade-dont-want-to-lose-programs.169953/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hey guys, I recently bought an old HP OEM computer (a 'dc7700', I think) off eBay. It's one of those towers that is placed horizontally, and it's quite thin. I was planning on using it as an HTPC but it lags when trying to watch HD movies, so I think I'm going to buy some really low-end graphics card.

I was looking at this one (I'm in Australia and it's either eBay or local IT shops):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Asus-ATi..._Components&hash=item19c5f77a3f#ht_1134wt_936

I'm wondering, will this fit in the tower? Do I need to specifically look for a low-profile graphics card? Thanks in advance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-for-a-small-tower.167278/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a ati Radeon HD 4650 AGP card and i have the latest driver but its not reading out the temperature(it always says 0 Celsius). So i was wondering if anyone knows any good programs that tell you your graphics card temperature? I have Everest Home Edition which gives the temperature of my cpu, and motherboard but not my gpu. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

A:Video card temp programs

gpu-z

Try gpu-z. Lightweight utility with all the information you need on your gpu.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-temp-programs.163463/
Relevancy 67.08%

It appears that during a storm, my tower was damaged, affected, whatever. The tower will not turn on. However, the green light on the back below the electrical plug flashes when plugged up. I have tried making sure that the on off swich is making contact, and I plan to unplug all the electrical plugs that could have been affected and then seeing if it works, and plugging them back in one by one to see if one of them were damaged. I have been told that there is a fuse that could have been blown but I cannot find a mention of one nor placement of one on the mother board. Is there a fuse?

I have also made sure that the surge protector has been reset, the outlet is fine, etc.

A:Storm surge on my HP mn1160 media center tower

I cannot find a mention of one nor placement of one on the mother board. Is there a fuse?Click to expand...

internal to the PSU and nothing you would recognize if you saw it.
A good friend had this very same experience and we had to replace the PSU and all was just fine. Having suffered once, the user quickly added a UPS to the setup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/storm-surge-on-my-hp-mn1160-media-center-tower.160003/
Relevancy 67.94%

can any 1 help? ive tryed 2 put my external hardrive in2 my tower as it stopped working,and have it as 2nd hard drive ,i have connected it properly but the tower cant seem 2 find it?

A:Installing an external hard drive in my tower

Are you saying you're trying to install external drives internally? So you removed them from their enclosures? Are these SATA or ATA/IDE drive? Does the BIOS see the drives? Which motherboard do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-an-external-hard-drive-in-my-tower.159771/
Relevancy 20.21%

The computer specs Packard Bell iMedia P GHz Stock Cooler Asus P S -VM GB DDR RAM one stick is DDR the other is DDR the stick was added recently but the problem was occuring before that BFG GS MB GB IDE HDD IDE DVD-RW XP Home SP The for won't used XP Programs not if open hours on computer problem This is a family machine Programs won't open on XP if computer not used for hours its turned on first thing and turned off at night If we turn it on in the morning and go to use it in the late afternoon after not being used for a few hours if we click on a desktop shortcut to load a program it won t load The computer is responsive Programs won't open on XP if computer not used for hours it just won t load any programs If we restart the machine it works fine As far as we can remember this just Programs won't open on XP if computer not used for hours happened all of a sudden a couple of months back with no change we ve done causing it I ve had a look and I can t see any restore points for the or weeks when this problem started Things we ve done Virus scan with Virgin Media Security and Stinger no viruses Attempted System Restore no points to go back to around the time this started happening Any ideas I can t think of much without reinstalling which realistically isn t feasible at the moment nbsp

A:Programs won't open on XP if computer not used for hours

turn off hibernate.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-wont-open-on-xp-if-computer-not-used-for-hours.157813/
Relevancy 19.78%

Ever since setting up broadband at home from randomly? certain drop connection Can programs to seemingly Internet cause time to time on a daily basis the internet Can certain programs cause Internet connection to drop seemingly randomly? connection would cut out for no more than seconds We have three computers connected to the wireless here and when these random cut outs occur we are all still connected to the router Local only Can certain programs cause Internet connection to drop seemingly randomly? At first I put this problem down to just a bad choice of ISP but then one of the house-mates went away for a week and during that time we experianced no internet cut outs at all I had my laptop on for at least days in a row non-stop monitoring drops and there were none As soon as our rd housemate returned home we started having these drops again So my question is what are the possible reasons for these cut outs Could it simply be down to using more bandwidth when the of us are all connected or are there any known perhaps malicious programs that may cause such occurances We have an unlimited internet package but I am pretty sure it is something to do with this rd pc as at times when one of the other are not functioning we stil have the drops nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-certain-programs-cause-internet-connection-to-drop-seemingly-randomly.157656/
Relevancy 21.07%

Programs do not use much RAM? [SOLVED]

EDIT: SOLVED
My programs do not use as much ram as i would like them to. For example Mafia 2 when running only uses 800Mb out of 4gb ( around 2400 available.) It is also the case for allmost every memory-intensive program, i am running in 32 bit. would switching to x64 help? or is there a software or tweak available to help ? Any advice is much appreciated.

A:Programs do not use much RAM?

You cna download a program called "Cleanmem" that will go throught he programs in the taskmanager and work out what programs are not currently being used and reduce the memory usage that they are using and INCREASE the memeory for programs that are running but to be honest if you are not seeing a lag in your program it should be fine.

If you have 2400Mb of memory availabel and its only using 800Mb then the program only requires that memory to run properly. As long as you have free memeory then if the program requires more emmeory if will use it.

Cleanmem is a free program.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-do-not-use-much-ram.155532/
Relevancy 20.64%

greetings, yesterday when i try to remove a program in my laptop i notice a black color space in between my add/remove items and wonder what this mean, its just so annoying cause i need to scroll down longer just to find my program i want to remove

please explain what is that black thing, any advice or comments is much appreciated
hope its not something serious , my laptop is working accordingly except with that black thing..........

A:Black add or remove programs

Have you installed all the current Windows updates, including any graphics or other hardware updates?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-add-or-remove-programs.154999/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hello All,
I have two printers that I like to dedicate one of them to print a form that I have in form of PDF, ow can i make that my only printer that would print that one page all the time.
thank you very much .
JON

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/printer-multiple-programs.154712/
Relevancy 36.98%

So a family member lost their power supply to their external HD Because there were some unreplaceable files on there I offered to help I told them I could crack the case if they didnt care and pull out the actuall drive and hook it up to my PC via the open IDE cable since my drives were SATA This way I could download the info to my PC and drive up OS HD down hooking additonal after IDE SATA untimately scrap their drive and move it over to a new drive Having succesfully cracked into their chasis and pulling out the drive I hooked it up via IDE as planned MY SYSTEM SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY I tried different jumper configurations just in case thinking that was the issue no luck I gave up eventually and plugged the IDE cable back to the Optical that OS SATA HD down after hooking up additonal IDE drive it originally came from NOW HOWEVER when I boot my computer I get an error saying I have no operating system So I check my BIOS to look for my drive that has my OS cant be found With this happening I ask if they ever tried to power up the external with a rd party power supply as to acertain wether or not they may have shorted it thus effecting my system and they said yes So now I fear I tried to power up a shorted HD and consequently fried one of my own Does this make sense Could it be that I just need to adjust some configurations in my BIOS to recognize my HD with the OS or am I hosed Michael nbsp

A:OS SATA HD down after hooking up additonal IDE drive

Have you attempted to access the "Boot Menu" in BIOS. The "no OS" message is usually in conjunction with the boot order of the PC being wrong. The computer can't find a "bootable device" and returns that message. You need to access the BIOS, and check to make certain that your old "C:/" drive is first in the boot order. (Or obviously, make it so).

If you have a Windows or recovery disc, you could place it in the optical drive, then power up, to see if the PC still boots from that drive. WORD of CAUTION ..: This is just a test, remove the Windows / recovery disc immediately, then power down. We don't want any accidental re-installs of the operating system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/os-sata-hd-down-after-hooking-up-additonal-ide-drive.151840/
Relevancy 20.21%

i am building a new computer and i have a a small laptop that i am using for my school work.
But i want to copy all of the con-tense of my laptops hard drive onto a SATA hard drive.

I am looking for a program that will copy all of its con tense onto another hard drive with no problems. so all i do is shove the SATA hard drive into my PC and i will have complete duplicate of my laptop, both fully functional

Is there any program that can do this for me?
Please post a link of a program that can do this in a reply

Please Reply ASAP

Sorry is you do not understand, im not good with my english

A:Is there programs that copies your whole hard drive

You could obviously have your personal files on the PC, but you'd never be able to (without much headache!) run the OS on your pc thats been installed on your laptop.

You would have the same files to begin with, but without copying them backwards and forwards nonstop you really couldn't keep the files the same.

A much better idea if you need the files available on your PC and laptop is to purchase a external drive, and move all your personal files onto that - That way you just plug it into whatever computer your using and you have them to hand.

I got around the problem myself by using a 1GB drive in my PC, and and allowing my laptops access to this drive, so regardless of which laptop I use, or the PC I'm always using the most up to date documents. I chose this because keeping them all updated across several computers turned into a nightmare in the end. This solution suits me much better.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-programs-that-copies-your-whole-hard-drive.150932/
Relevancy 35.26%

Is it possible to hook up suround sound speakers to a laptop? If so what kind of wire do i need to get to plug into my laptop on one end and bare wires to insert into the red / black ports on the speaker end

I'm trying to play a movie with my laptop and i want more audio. I'm not real worried about the quality as far as base I just need more sound. Is it possible to take a set of headphones and cut the wires so that I have the male port for the laptop and then strip back the wires to insert into the speaker ports? Dont think i'm stupid im just trying to find a cheap way to make this work. Thanks

A:Hooking up a laptop to regular Bose home suround sound speakers?

If the speakers you are trying to hook up use the bare (+) and (-) wires, I don't think you can hook them up to your laptop because you would be missing an amplifier in between. If you have an amp or receiver (audio or AV), you might be able to use the laptop as a signal source, using the amp/receiver to drive the speakers. The amp would need to have the appropriate input connector.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hooking-up-a-laptop-to-regular-bose-home-suround-sound-speakers.150790/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi I bought a new laptop and it has a problem i discovered I cannot return games/programs in crashes screen 3d powerful laptop full at a the laptop as it already past the returning date days The problem is discovered last week after i installed lots of games My laptop crashes at full screen mode on any games i installed At first I blamed the game but after installing lots of games and tried every single one of them age of empires medieval tw COD black and white red alert etc After 3d games/programs crashes at full screen in a powerful laptop this I also tried to use some d programs like the ones built with the latest Nvidia SDK with Direct 3d games/programs crashes at full screen in a powerful laptop d and still crashes The crash to be specific is almost a crash to desktop CTD BUT weirdly it loads itself back and then loops again more like alt tabing when ur in game it s not sticky keys However the d programs like the one in NVIDIA 3d games/programs crashes at full screen in a powerful laptop doesn t alt tabs it s a complete crash and the windows will then try to resolve it which fails It s a bit powerful laptop and here are my specs Windows Home Prem bit Core duo t ghz gb ram ddr gb Nvidia Geforce gt m Supported by PhysX but Games requires DirectX so I installed it Would it clash I dont think so coz you can turn off the physX gpu and i tried that tb HDD Now the things that I have tried are Update install my video card driver chipset and was going to update my BIOS which is the latest so that s why i did not Installed the directX SDK and even tried the Direct x c I even clean up my system by reinstalling windows and everything I don t think it is a compatibility issues as I ve played these games on a different laptop with the exact same system my first laptop before I exchange it for it is has a faulty keyboard and same windows As you can see I am getting bad luck from where I bought my laptop Yes it is a refurbished laptop from a big name retail store I already contacted the Manufacturer and they couldn t help me because it involves third party software However I told them that I highly believe it is a hardware issue and the sick bastards replied with ask for advice from your local technician Wth I well try to settle a score with them tomorrow but for now I want your expertises nbsp

A:3d games/programs crashes at full screen in a powerful laptop

make sure all vents and fan intakes are not blocked, download and run HWMonitor and run a game and tell use all the min and max temps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/3d-games-programs-crashes-at-full-screen-in-a-powerful-laptop.144224/
Relevancy 20.21%

http www techspot com vb topic not Internet others connect, but can will Explorer-based programs html Internet Explorer-based programs will not connect, but others can This thread shows my computer is completely clean of any malware or viruses Certain applications that use the same Internet Explorer-based programs will not connect, but others can ports I guess or something of that sort Internet Explorer-based programs will not connect, but others can as Internet Explorer cannot connect Some of my internet applications work some don t For instance World of warcraft cannot connect and it uses the same ports as internet explorer I can use firefox and a lot of other applications but when I try to use internet explorer Which I never do I just want to play WoW It comes up with quot Cannot find Make sure the path or internet address is correct quot It won t load any page you try to connect to giving you the same error message every time The same thing happens when I try to launch WoW It says the same message except with the launcher page link as the one that it can t connect to I type it into my firefox browser and it worked fine so that shows that my router is not blocking their servers This is very annoying and I would love to get it fixed Thanks EDIT It happens with ANY game that loads a page through internet explorer And LAN Settings are all unchecked for Proxy and I ve tried resetting it multiple times both with no effect nbsp

A:Internet Explorer-based programs will not connect, but others can

Bump. I want this to get fixed veryyyy badly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-explorer-based-programs-will-not-connect-but-others-can.149791/
Relevancy 101.05%

hi, I am going to upgrade my graphic card to ATI 5770 so I need a new power supply which has power about 550--600 watt. But the most frustrating problem is that I failed to find a proper power supply with the correct dimension.
I have an HP pavilion e9300 which uses a very wired power supply tower-150mm(W) 86(H) 140(D). But so far all the PSUs I found is the standard size --150mm(W) 86(H) 150(D) which cannot fit in my setup.

So could any PC God give me some suggestion, please??
Is any PSU with the size of my tower or can I just simply install a bigger PSU which can still successfully power up the comptuer?

Thx in adance.

A:Power supply bigger than the tower - frustrated by HP PSU tower

If the power supply will physically fit your case, it should work fine with your computer. Will the extra 10mm interfere internally with anything inside the PC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-bigger-than-the-tower-frustrated-by-hp-psu-tower.148841/
Relevancy 70.09%

Iv no idea how to find out the make or moduel of the fan One day last year it beggan to make strange noises rattling When i reset the pc tower PC fan noisy is it stopped I looked online recently and found it could be multiple reasons so i opend the pc took a good look inside removed the fan cleaned very single area of the fan put it back in ensuring nothing was damaged When i turn the pc on and im looking at the fan it seems to be working perfectly but with the noise If i run my finger along the smooth centre to slow it it makes no noise If i slow it down with the three speed button thing that hangs from the fan then it still makes a noise The fan has lie a suspension on it and when i press PC tower fan is noisy it in theres no noise when i let it go the noise rattles again I personally think that inside the fan right where the motor is spinning theres is a problem of dust or something but i can t be sertain I want my fan to make no noise but be on full speed as befour since im a heavy gamer and i work with music too What should i do If i want to buy a new fan how do i choose one that will fit into it s place My pc uses a fan for the power supply a fan for the cpu and a fan on the side of the tower What do i do if i want to add more fans to my pc tower nbsp

A:PC tower fan is noisy

To find a fan or a similar size, just measure the old one in mm and get the same size locally or online. Case fans are generally 80MM, 92mm or 120mm.

Adding fans where they are no holders or screw holes would require something as simple as twist or zip ties or actually modifying the case to accept more fans.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-tower-fan-is-noisy.147806/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi TechSpot Forums!

I own a Dell Optiplex GX280 Mini-Tower PC, and am seriously considering buying a graphics card for it.

My question to you is, which would best be compatible with my specs?

System Specs:

Dell Inc. OptiPlex GX280
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
2552 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
500.10 GB HDD

Current Video Card:

Name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
DAC Type: Internal
Approx. Total Memory: 128.00 MB
Current Display Mode: 1400 x 1050 (32 bit) (60GHz)

Does installing a graphics card mean you can achieve higher resolutions on your LCD monitor? That is partly the reason I will be purchasing one.

Thanks for any info or suggestions,

~ TomHax

A:Graphics card for Dell Optiplex GX280 Mini-Tower?

Does installing a graphics card mean you can achieve higher resolutions on your LCD monitor?Click to expand...

That depends on the maximum resolution supported by your monitor.

What's your main reason to purchase the card? What's your budget?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-for-dell-optiplex-gx280-mini-tower.141617/
Relevancy 37.41%

How would i know if i wired up my hard drive correctly From what it was in the old case it gets a connection to the IDE channel on the mobo the big wide ribbon wire and an AUX power connector from the power unit I m having alot of trouble geting XP to operate or boot up everything because some of the components hav nt worked together in the same case yet I is all case... new Just finished hooking well? in up need to introduce my mobo to the hard drive and windows xp was on the hard drive in my old case I just want to make sure that all is hooked up right and that my HD is connected the way it should be Someone told me if XP is on the HD the mobo will be recognised when I boot off of the XP disk like it would quot repair quot Just finished hooking up in new case... is all well? it or Just finished hooking up in new case... is all well? something very confusing and would greatly appreciate any and all help thanxxx quot K quot is it true that i do not need a quot sata quot connection if i have a IDE connect nbsp

A:Just finished hooking up in new case... is all well?

Though xp may boot from an old system, I would recomend a fresh install for your new system.
That said, turn your system on and see what happens, if it's wired right during the post it should show you a listing for your primary master. To answer your question as long as you have ide you do not seed sata. They are kind of like the difference between satellite and cable, typically you have one or the other, although, occasionally you may have both.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/just-finished-hooking-up-in-new-case-is-all-well.139595/
Relevancy 36.55%

I have a k8v se deluxe motherboard but i need to know where to put the vcc acc ground and another wire that is hooked with it. I know the spot but what pin and what order i need to know. I cant get computer to start up at all without them hooked up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hooking-up-power-supply-to-k8v-se-deluxe-motherboard.139535/
Relevancy 20.21%

This has happened to me quite a few times now. I have downloaded and run Regenie and Spybot and it keeps coming up with Mirar but says it cannot remove them.
I am attaching a HJT log. I would much appreciate some help with this as I have no idea what else to do.
Thanks all

A:Talking playing through headset, no programs running

Read this:
http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/how-do-i-uninstall-mirar-toolbar/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/talking-playing-through-headset-no-programs-running.139297/
Relevancy 36.98%

I have a DI-524 wireless router and it is setup on channel 6 with DHCP enabled. I have a MBR1310 wireless router setup on channel 6 with DHCP disabled. After confirguring the second router I can use the laptop to get on internet and then after about 5 minutes the first desktop from the first router can not get to the internet. The laptops that are hooked up wirelessly from second router is working good. I unplugged the second router and the first machine is working fine. I would of thought that if you disable DHCP from the second router that it would work. Am I wrong. What am I doing wrong? The only other thing that I might be doing wrong is not having my cat 5 cable in the right ports.

A:Hooking two D-link wireless routers together

wire them thusly

Code:
modem--(wan)Router#1(lan)----(lan)router#2
leaving router#2 with an empty WAN port -- this is the router with the disabled DHCP.

btw: separate the channels on #1 vs #2 so they don't interfer with each other

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hooking-two-d-link-wireless-routers-together.134993/
Relevancy 70.09%

im looking for the thermalright 120 i cant find it on newegg at all any help and the cheapest price would be nice

A:Where to buy a true tower 120?

Here you go:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5...k_-_Socket_LGA_1366_775_AM2_AM2_AM3_Xeon.html

though I believe the Prolimatech Megahelms often outperforms it, and it is the same price:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8...A_775_1366_AM2_AM2_AM3_SPECIAL_PRICE_HOT.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/where-to-buy-a-true-tower-120.135119/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1318.

When I try to open programs, they will either not open at all or they will have a spot in the taskbar but there is no window open.

For example, itunes will not open at all.
I suspect a virus, so I've downloaded some programs from my other laptop (CCleaner as one) and when I open setup, the program will be in the taskbar but there is no window open, so it won't install.

Any suggestions?

Edit: When I turn it on, it will go past the Dell loading screen and then the screen will turn black for a very, very long time, then it will get past it and turn on.

There was also a time where something similar to the "welcome screen" (of vista) would show up but it would be gray/black.

It also takes a very long time to get into safemode.

A:Some Programs Won't Open

Can you boot to Safe Mode?
If so, install and run MalwareBytes or other antispyware, and antivirus software in Safe Mode. Many will not run, but some will do a good job.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/some-programs-wont-open.134672/
Relevancy 20.21%

That monitors your server and network activities? thank you if anyone could recommend me some.

A:Best anti-virus programs that monitors servers?

McAfee Anti-virus Security is the best one. It monitors the websites and you can block certain websites too, you can also choose whether to perform full scans or quick scans. It quarantines and tracks cookies & it also prevent hacking from all around the world

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-anti-virus-programs-that-monitors-servers.133475/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi everyone I m new here and have read over some of the posts and stickies but have not found my issue I have a Dell Pentium R CPU GHz and GB RAM extra added tower - Dell monitor brightens/darkens 4550 overheating? by me I have never gotten any kind of Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating? warning or message that my tower fan was not working properly For the last couple of weeks I have noticed my computer monitor brightening a lot and then darkening screen is still readable and then going back to normal This will happen anywhere from to times in a two hour period I have been Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating? turning off the computer when not in use giving it a chance to cool down which I now realize was the worst thing to do Today when I went to fire it up for about the third time during the start-up Windows shut down quot to protect itself quot and gave me a blue screen message to turn off the computer and restart I did and have not had that issue again Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating? today I have placed a large fan behind the tower and the problem seems to have stopped for now which leads me to believe the problem is caused by overheating The tower casing was cleaned inside around months ago but was very dusty My questions Does this sound like a tower fan problem and how do I check that it is working properly Are there capacitors or something else I should be checking for heat damage and replacing I know I really just need a new computer but that won t be happening for a while so any help you could give me to keep this one sputtering along would be greatly appreciated Thanks much nbsp

A:Dell 4550 monitor brightens/darkens - tower overheating?

Hi Jeri, welcome to TS. I'm not sure specifically about the 4550, but I know most Dells will post a warning on boot if the fan isn't working properly. If you haven't seen the message, it's probably not the fan.

If you're up to it (which it sounds like you are if you upgraded the ram yourself), open it up and look if the fan is spinning while the computer's running and also while you're in there dust out the computer, especially the cpu cooler and video card heatsink. While cleaning it out, look at the capacitors on the motherboard and/or video card to make sure they aren't leaking or bulging. A cap should be flat on top, it should not be "pointy" or rounded on top or leaking from the top or bottom. I've seen bad caps on a 4550 before, close to the cpu socket (between the rear ports and cpu), so make sure to look to be sure. You may have to remove the green "air duct" to be able to see the caps on the board.

Also, are you sure the problem is with the computer and not the monitor? It almost sounds like you might be having a problem with the backlighting on the monitor (assuming it's an lcd). Any chance of testing the monitor on another computer to be sure?

I suppose there's always the possibility of a a failing power supply as well. Sometimes when a power supply is flaky (power fluctuations, noise, etc) it can cause weird issues like BSODs among other things. It's possible that your power supply fan could have failed, and if the power supply is overheating it could be acting up.

Best wishes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-4550-monitor-brightens-darkens-tower-overheating.132728/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a Gateway p- fx laptop with vista up Right programs menu on click keep popping some option and keep having this problem with a right click menu pop up Right click menu option keep popping up on some programs on programs like winamp opera and hardware configuration On certain Right click menu option keep popping up on some programs programs a right click menu will pop up non stop and i cant use the program at all The laptop keyboard doesnt work after I spilt coke on the keyboard so I use a usb keyboard After that it started having this popup menu Right click menu option keep popping up on some programs or key mapping issues with emulators For some emulator programs it will automatically map a button called AppKey and i cant configure buttons with a usb to psx converted joypad on them This also happened on other programs that i used but probably forgot about them and deleted them I tried looking up everything i could to disable a right click menu or appkey but couldnt find anything Tried deleting a window key registry all i could find looking up appkey disabling in vista Tried disabling the touchpad I don t think its any kind of virus or spyware i never detect anything i had pictures of what happens but i need more posts so i cant show them nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/right-click-menu-option-keep-popping-up-on-some-programs.131350/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi,
my DVD-R/CD-RW drive is not being recognized in my recording programs and media player. If I right click the
drive itself, it shows that it is working fine and that windows recognize it as a recording drive. However,
neither Media Player nor Nero recognizes that there is a drive. Nero keeps trying to create images, not burn a CD / DVD.
It worked fine in the past.

A:DVD-R/CD-RW drive is not being recognized in my recording programs

reload driver..

I would reload the driver for the dvd writer; that driver could be corrupted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-r-cd-rw-drive-is-not-being-recognized-in-my-recording-programs.128543/
Relevancy 20.21%

I bought a new computer and did not realize I was not buying Word, etc - just a 30 day trial or some such thing. So I need to know how to move my programs from my old computer to my new one. My daughter moved all my files but now I have a KVM switch (or something like that) hooked up so I can go from one computer to the other when I need to use a program that is on the old one but not the new one. That doesn't look so great having two towers side by side, so I want to reduce to just the new one but cannot until all the programs I have installed on this one are moved to the new one. help!

A:Transferring programs from one hard drive to another

For most programs that are complicated like Office you can't. When things get installed a bunch of registry entries are made making simple copying of programs over impossible. You should be allowed to re-install Office to the new computer though (legally even) if you promise to remove it from your old one. If you have the student version, you can legally have that on up to 3 computers at once I believe.

If you are only a casual user of all the Microsoft Office programs and don't have or are for whatever reason unable to install (don't have disks ect) to the new computer, you could get OpenOffice and use that. It is mostly compatible with MS Office (can open and save to MS Office files), and is free. Available at www.openoffice.org

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transferring-programs-from-one-hard-drive-to-another.128517/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hi I have been using a GB Freecom external hdd with my laptop Windows XP for awhile but today it started to make clicking noises and my computer is no longer reading it The ext hdd runs but then gives up After creating a system recovery I uninstalled the drive under device manager to try to get it to reinstall but the computer recognized possibly I from data retrieve a hdd? Can broken ext. a usb connection and not the hdd I also connected the ext hdd to another pc but it said there was a problem with the install and the device might not work correctly and it didn t recognize the disk So I guess what I really need to know is if I can still retrieve the data on the hdd since it is really quot likely story quot important Am i better off just bringing it to the Best Buy Geek Squad I Can I retrieve data from a possibly broken ext. hdd? ve tried a data recovery software but it didn t recognize the disk nbsp

A:Can I retrieve data from a possibly broken ext. hdd?

Once you start hearing the clicking you can forget recovering data with software recovery programs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-retrieve-data-from-a-possibly-broken-ext-hdd.55527/
Relevancy 20.64%

So I was trying to help my brother out with his laptop which is really slow. The thing is, he's got two disks, the C: and the D: and the C: is only for Windows files while the D: is only used for programs and other files.
My brother (Who doesn't know much about PC's) has installed every program on the C: Drive so now it has only got 2,66 Gb left out of 35,0 Gb. I was thinking of moving the installed programs from the C: drive to the D: drive, is this possible without corrupting any files?
I tried to Ctrl+X one folder, but I got a message which told me that the program might stop working correctly.

A:Moving programs to another drive

First, you almost certainly don't have 2 HDDs on a laptop. "C" & "D" are just partitions of the same drive. If "C:/" @ 35GBs is almost full, no wonder the laptop is slow, since more than likely there are too many programs running at startup. There is also the possibility of "malware" infections, which are notorious for making machines run very slow.

If you want to put some programs on the "D/" drive, you must uninstall them, and reinstall to the new location. Programs have "DLL"s and system registry entries that are file paths of their own, and just moving a program folder breaks these links.

My best advice is to uninstall those that you are not using, and run "msconfig" Start > Run > "msconfig" (without the quotes). There are also "startup managers" available that can guide you & do this for you . "Spybot SD16" is an anti-spyware program that has a startup manager in it's tools section. I always install it for that as much as the security aspect.

You can download this from "Safer-networking"; http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/moving-programs-to-another-drive.127989/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have recently upgraded most of my computer and it is now locking up when I run most programs Its done this while playing WoW Fallout and simply being online with Firefox Strangely enough I haven t had any problems with Freelancer yet Originally I had Foxconn M PMX-S mobo Intel P gb Don t remember the model x gb cosair ddr Radeon x mb hec ACE- UB W psu sata hdd s gb gb dvdr drive ethernet card WInXP o s I didn t have problems with the old build but it was getting old I got the new video card and put it in with no problems on the old build and a week later replaced the rest of the parts I now have Gigabyte EP T-UD LR mobo Intel Core Quad Q GH x gb corsair ddr running up when most Computer freezes when programs Radeon gb Same psu Same hdd s Same dvdr Same ethernet card Same o s I didn t reinstall windows and everything else when i changed mobos but this wasn t a problems for anything in the past Just Computer freezes up when when running most programs uninstalled old drivers installed new ones There shouldn t be any overheating issues either Computer freezes up when when running most programs both the bios and speedfan show it to idle in the c s and under c while loaded Nor did I change any clock timings or voltages in the bios with either build I ve read about other people online putting together very similar pc s and I don t see why this shouldn t also work Is there not getting enough power Should I really ininstall windows Did I get bad parts maybe Is there some kind of program to test to see what could be wrong This whole thing has frustrated me and I would appreciate any help I can get at this point nbsp

A:Computer freezes up when when running most programs

"I didn't reinstall windows and everything else when i changed mobos"...

You have got to be kidding! Back up your important data, format and reinstall your operating system fresh. Install the motherboard drivers, and then update Windows completely and then install all other drivers including the new video card...

YOU CANNOT CHANGE ALL THAT HARDWARE WITHOUT INSTALLING WINDOWS FRESH!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-freezes-up-when-when-running-most-programs.124264/
Relevancy 37.84%

ok this thread up Motherboard New Hooking (help) is a continuation of my story in the quot Fried Processor Fried Motherboard From adding RAM quot thread i finally got that new motherboard identical to the one that fried a pcchips K MOTHERBOARD to be exactly when i put in the quot corrupted quot RAM in it Although that motherboard is toast im going on the assumption that the GOOD RAM that came with it MB and the Ghz Processor that came with it are in good condition I did all the easy stuff with the RAM and the processor the heat fan and main power and IDE cables and Hooking up New Motherboard (help) ive been following the users guide for installation to the best of my ability Hooking up New Motherboard (help) and carefully as possible no static I m at the point where i need to quot connect the case switches and indicater LEDs to the SW header quot The manual comes with this chart Pin Signal Pin Signal HD LED P FP PWR SLP HD LED N - FP PWR SLP - RESET SW N - POWER SW P RESET SW P POWER SW N - RSVD DNU KEY and this diagram of the SW SW l l l l well thats more of my interpretation of it but its an overhead shot of the pins on the motherboard The I figured is Pin yet i was unsure which if the configuration went like this FIG l l l l or this FIG l l l l i concluded that FIG was correct based on the color code setup on the motheboard but i just want to make sure THe next problem i encountered was that the quot indicator LEDs quot i had were marked by POWER LED H D D LED RESET SW POWER SW I hooked them up but realized that the chart does not cover quot POWER LED quot which is a cable with pin slots instead of two like the others I also realized that using the chart just ended up with pins and being empty and no configuration of those allowed the fitting of the POWER LED I assume it goes elsewhere but where and what do i put in pins and The last problem i had was that i noticed one pinhole on each cable is postive and the other is negative Yet I cannot figure out how to tell which one is and which is - so i dont know which side of the cable goes to which pin the back of the cables on the other side of the lettering is an arrow typically on the left-hand side my gut feeling is that means but i didnt want to hook up my motherboard based on all these assumptions i guess it might help if i learned some new PC lingo then maybe i could understand all this stuff I m having similiar problems hooking up AUDIO and USB and USB and SPK and the IR im thinking that if someone help me how to hook it all up ill be able to do those others on my own Thanks darth nbsp

A:Hooking up New Motherboard (help)

red generally means hot and black negative

on your usb hookups you will have 1 hot (positive) normally red

1 black - negative and two data - 1 yellow and one green.

The reset and power switches don't really care which way you hook them up - it's a switch (either on or off)

the hdd led and power led can only be hooked up 1 way. red positive, black negative.
if you hook them up backwards, nothing will happen.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hooking-up-new-motherboard-help.28280/
Relevancy 70.09%

I have an eMachines T which I use as up boot Tower Need help. won't a file server I normally leave it running continuously but I inadvertently shut off the breaker to that room while replacing an electrical switch When I tried to restart the computer it won t go It s getting power The fan in the power supply runs but the hard drive doesn t seem to kick in The monitor displays the eMachine logo and says quot Bios information Need help. Tower won't boot up lt F gt quot Need help. Tower won't boot up which doesn t work When I restart the fans kick on but after a couple of seconds - just about long enough for the logo to display on the monitor - but then already the pitch or whine of the fans begins slowing down as it returns to it s resting mode I also tried putting a setup disk in the optical drive but although the drive spins it won t go into the boot mode so it s not looking at those drives I ve tried it more than a dozen times - completely cutting power powering it down and back on using the power button unplugging and plugging back in Nada Someone told me to replace the power supply but I thought I d check here to see if anyone has any experience with this problem Would appreciate any advice or tips Note I do routinely blow the dust out of the fans and from the case It stays very clean since it s in an unused room and it doesn t even get very dusty The company server at work gets a dust buildup like dryer lint about every two weeks but mine wouldn t get THAT dirty in a whole year if I didn t blow it out from time to time so I don t think dirt is an issue unless it s really deep inside the power supply nbsp

A:Need help. Tower won't boot up

Your eMachines is one of those with the infamous failing motherboard. The motherboard failure eventually causes the power supply to fail, and your symptoms are simlar to what we have seen a great number of times... well over 125 times, and we have a lot of failed eMachines in our barn awaiting resolution. Your hard drive, memory, cpu and heatsink are likely still good, and you can rescue the data. But it is possible your motherboard will not work properly again. You might borrow a power supply to test, but I would not waste money on one.
eMachines wants $179 plus shipping for the board, plus $75 for the power supply.

It could also be something as simple as a bad hard drive, and a replacement for $50 or $60 from Newegg, Directron, TigerDirect, Outpost, or ZipZoomfly will take care of it. You can probably still recover the data off the old drive by placing it in an external USB enclosure. Borrow or buy, you can always use another hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-tower-wont-boot-up.122938/
Relevancy 70.09%

Has anyone ever tried 2PSU's in one tower? I ask because I'd like just one to run my video card <ATI X800GTO> so I'd like to know if that's worthwhile since I have a few laying around that are not all that great. I know it's probably a stupid question, go easy on me.... ;>)

A:2 PSUs in one tower?

I've never heard of that being done. I don't know where you would get the room. I would recommend that you get a new Psu with greater wattage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-psus-in-one-tower.122693/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have purchased a new laptop. The OS is Windows XP Service Pack2. The laptop I have now has Window XP Service Pack3. I have a couple questions about moving to this new computer.

1) Should I update to Service Pack3 before doing anything else?
2) I have an external hard drive that I use Acronis True Image Home 2009 to back up my hard drive onto. Is there a way to only backup the programs I want to and then move them to the new computer? Or is it better to reinstall these programs from CD's?
3) Also is there anything I haven't thought of that I should do with the new computer before transferring my old applications?

If you need any of the technical information from my new laptop or old laptop please let me know. Thank you in advance for all your help.

A:Re: Copying programs to new computer

1. Yes update to SP3, before doing any extra program install
Actually I removed my Antivirus software (after a full scan first of course) and firewall (let alone standard other programs) before installing SP3

Note: Also do all the further Windows Security updates after SP3 as well

2. It's better to reinstall these programs from CDs (moving programs is possible, but extremely difficult, and certainly never advised to do)
Actually, you really shhould download the most up to date versions of the programs first (if available)

3. Yes. Make a backup image of it first
Actually, you probably received a restore CD, or image on a hidden Disk partition, that'll be fine

By the way, before transferring anything, make sure you have an Antivirus installed (I recommend the free Avira Antivirus
You may want to do a full defrag too, if there are a few gigs of stuff coming over, or to be installed

I think that answers everything

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/re-copying-programs-to-new-computer.121473/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hey everybody,

I've been on these forums for a while, jus registered, cuz I had question of my own...

I have two 2Wire routers, one is 1701HG, the other is 2701 HG-G, both are wireless.
The 2701 is the one that is connecting to the DSL line, and all of my PCs are connected to it (wireless). I have another PC and a 360 which don't have wireless cards and are far from the 2701 router.

Is it possible for me to use the 1701hg to wirelessly connect to the 2701hg, so I could have the 360 and the other pc connected to 1701 through ethernet and have internet access on both? I

Hopefully that was clear enough...

A:Hooking up two 2Wire gateways/routers together wirelessly?

Hi

you want to create a wireless bridge is the technical term, your 1701 router must be able to act as a wireless bridge, go into its configuration page and see if their is a heading for it, if not then no you cant do what you want.

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hooking-up-two-2wire-gateways-routers-together-wirelessly.121021/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello I am new and very much a non-techie but I am endeavoring to learn I have an HP Pavilion zd laptop programs won't external DVD recognize Software burner w MS Windows XP Media Center version w Service Pak My internal DVD player has been kaput for some time now To watch DVDs I use an external DVD player burner that is a Pioneer DVR X- The external DVD CD player writer reads anything It plays DVDs Software programs won't recognize external DVD burner using Nero software which came w the player or it can use the Inter Video Win DVD program that came with my computer The external DVD player will burn CDs using iTunes However I want to burn DVDs I used to burn them using Media Center however Media Center only looks for DVDs in my kaput internal writer How can I get it to acknowledge my wonderful external player I have the same problem with Roxio and Record Now two very good programs that used to work when my internal drive actually worked They do not recognize my external player If I can give you more helpful information please let me know I can give you more system specs but I honestly don t know where to get that iformation I thank you for your Software programs won't recognize external DVD burner response nbsp

A:Software programs won't recognize external DVD burner

Hi

why not just buy a new internal DVD writer, they only cost a few quid and are easy to fit.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/software-programs-wont-recognize-external-dvd-burner.118594/
Relevancy 20.64%

So one day im on my office computer and do the regular thing browse on Firefox or play a game or two Computer Closes Programs and i turn it off The next morning i try to play some World of Warcraft and in about Computer Closes Programs min in the game i get a Critical error message for World of Warcraft So i decide to go on Firefox and look up the error and about min later i get that windows error that says Firefox encountered a serious problem and the SEND or DON T SEND option I restart my computer and try it again and i get the same error This also goes for any of my games or browsers i try to use which close with a error message in min or my computer just restarts I tried Disk Defragment i tried using windows system restore and my firewall nor my AVG detect a virus Please help me with this problem System Specs Windows XP Home Edition ATI mb AGP MSI Motherboard gig x Kingston RAM Creative Sound Blaster Live -bit sound card gb Maxtor Hard Drive nbsp

A:Computer Closes Programs

I also tried using different Anti-Virus programs also spyware programs like Ad-Aware

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-closes-programs.117960/
Relevancy 19.78%

This has happened to me twice in the past three hours.
I'm aware my dad opened some attachment to an email he shouldn't have.
I cleared all that out via Mcafee/Ad-Aware/Registry Mechanic.

But now there's random intervals of what sounds like a canadian radio station lasting about 5 minutes.

Here is my HJT scan thingy.
I have no idea what to do with it?

Anything is appreciated, thanks. :]

A:Radio station playing through headset, no programs running

HijackThis v1.99.1Click to expand...

Please un-install your old version of HJT then...

Have a look at:

UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radio-station-playing-through-headset-no-programs-running.117685/
Relevancy 67.08%

I have an Ultra E-Torque ATX Mid-Tower Case I was wondering if any of you could give me some assistance I am having a problem connecting the front power and led to the mobo an XFX Although I am having problems connecting the cables I did manage to connect everything get the cpu and every thing to power up using the power button on the front panel This is the goal but the same power button isnt working properly to turn the machine off So Im thinking that I dont have the cables hooked up correctly to the mobo I did read on Tiger direct where I purchased the case in a recent review that the cables arent color coded correctly So connection has been a problem I would of contacted the person that posted that but there is no way to do so I am not knowledgeable enough about pcs Torque Tower E & Case Mobo XFX 8200 Ultra ATX Mid to figure this out with out possibly XFX 8200 Mobo & Ultra E Torque ATX Mid Tower Case causing massive damage because this is my first build XFX 8200 Mobo & Ultra E Torque ATX Mid Tower Case and I was wondering if you can give me some assistance in getting my machine powered up correctly I hope someone can aid me in my quest to get my machine running correctly Im running a duel vid card http www tigerdirect com applicat EdpNo amp csid ITD amp body MAIN detailspecs http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp CatId Thanks nbsp

A:XFX 8200 Mobo & Ultra E Torque ATX Mid Tower Case

I have the same case; the cables are actually pretty simple and can't really cause any kind of massive damage. Basically, your mobo's manual should have a diagram of where each front panel cable is attached to the pins on the motherboard. This includes the power switch, reset button, main LED, and Hard Disk LED. The cable heads and pins are usually labeled and it's just a matter of finding positive [+] and negative [-] connections. Again, your motherboard manual should have a diagram. You can really just screw around with the wires until everything works, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xfx-8200-mobo-ultra-e-torque-atx-mid-tower-case.116629/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a Toshiba Satellite X205-SLi1. This morning i turned it on and it took an abnormal amount of time to boot up. I am unable to access any of the "system maintanance" progams (Control Panel, Task Manager etc). Other software programs will open, but then instantly start "Not Responding". The laptop gets stuck on "Logging Off" when attempt to shutdown or restart. I am unable to run my virus software. I tried to run Defrag and Disk Cleanup, neither will run. I am not the smartest person when it comes to computers, so any help anyone can offer will be geatly appreciated.

I am unable to connect to the internet for some reason too. Right Clicking on computer icon on bottom bar and clicking "Connect to a Network" freezes my computer.

A:Programs Not Responding, Task Manager won't open

You probably have a hard drive failing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-not-responding-task-manager-wont-open.116622/
Relevancy 20.64%

I just moved out from my parents house, and I'm trying to set myself up comfortable. To conserve a bit of space, and for convinience I'd like to hook up another monitor for TV mainly, which could then be consta-showing tv (mediacenter) while the other monitor is showing whatever it is I'm doing on my PC.

I'm not very advanced with computers, so I'd like to know if it's possible to hook up two monitors on one PC and have them display two different programs, mainly TV broadcast off of the mediacenter on the other, and everything else on the other i.e normal desktop work, games etc.

Also, if this is doable, what would I need exactly to make this happen, software, wiring and hardware wise?

it's cable tv, if that matters.

A:One PC, two monitors, two programs

if you want to hook cable TV to your PC you will need a TV tuner card of some sort. If your video card has 2 connections on it you can hook 2 monitor up to it as well and use the extended desktop features in Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/one-pc-two-monitors-two-programs.114473/
Relevancy 20.21%

im trying to install a program on to my computer that i just downloaded but one of my partitions is full so i saved it to my other partition which has 98 gigs left so it downloaded fine but i couldnt get it to install it just said that the drive was full although it has plenty of space on the hard drive.

if anyone could get me an answer i would appreciate it greatly.

btw im using vista ultimate 64, idk if that has anything to do with it

thanx again......

A:Saving and installing programs on different partition

The partition that is full is causing the fault (still)
It probably needs to copy some install files to there, or maybe the PageFile or even temporary files needs to increase.
Therefore the full Partition is the concern

You could start by running CCleaner (a little be more space gone, to install this!)
Or just start cleaning up (deleting/and or moving data out of the full Partition)

Then try the install again (some installs require gigs of free space, it all depends on the program you are installing)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/saving-and-installing-programs-on-different-partition.112216/
Relevancy 70.09%

hello. My sister pulled the power cable from the back of the tower while her computer was on, now when i turn it on, the fan is abnormally loud. No image to the monitor what-so-ever. is there a fix to this? thank you =]

A:Odd tower issue

Sounds like some stuff got fried. It could be your Mobo. Isolating your hardware might be a good idea in figuring out what got fried. Do you have another graphics that you could swap for the one presently installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/odd-tower-issue.112025/
Relevancy 34.83%

I have two hard drives that are RAID 0, data being written to both. My motherboard went out and in the process of trying to find a new one, i want to know if i can still recover the data on the drives. They are not boot drives. I have a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP motherboard with a on-board Gigaraid IDE controller. Do i need to get the same exact motherboard to get the data off? A motherboard with the same controller? Or is there another way? Thank you so much!!

Specs:

P4 3.4 Ghz
3 GB Ram
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP motherboard
X800XT video card
Win XP Pro

A:Retrieve data off of Raid 0 drives

Yes, if the drive is still spinning, you can connect it as a slave, or in a usb enclosure and drag and drop, or use recovery software... I would use a powered USB enclosure with a 5V power adapter... do not count on the power of the USB connection to turn it long enough or fast enough.
Or you can jumper it as a slave in many cases that have RAID space and get what you need.
If you KNOW the drive to be defective when you begin, startup with a plan, and do not quit until you have done your best job of rescue... because the drive may not turn the next time you try it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/retrieve-data-off-of-raid-0-drives.108969/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi....I've recently seen a new problem on my XP system. When I click on ANY desktop program, the only thing that opens is the property menu of that application. If I reboot, everything is fine...but I may have to reboot several times a day. I did a complete clean up...registry, antivirus, defender, spybot checking for any problems but that didn't seem to help. Any suggestions? jjwalker007

A:Can't Open Programs

It's usually the right click "Open" command (context menu) missing
But rebooting shouldn't fix that

You did run all AntiVirus/Spyware tests fully?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-open-programs.108916/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello How s everyone doing I find EMachines won't after installing boot programs computer myself faced with a weird problem I purchased a factory refurbished eMachines EMachines computer won't boot after installing programs computer about months ago I only took it out of the box about weeks ago and proceeded to get it to work I haven t had a problem with it until today I EMachines computer won't boot after installing programs installed programs and now EMachines computer won't boot after installing programs the machine won t boot FYI system details are as follows eMachines T AMD Athlon X processor with GB of RAM running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Today the machine was working perfectly Then I installed Nero Ultra Edition which required a restart No problems Then I installed iTunes with Quicktime and the machine still appeared fine Then I noticed that the optical drive wouldn t eject manually I tried ejecting via software but found that the drive wasn t there It wasn t being recognized by Windows Earlier today I used it without a problem So I shut down the system and tried to turn it back on That s when I hit the big problem It stayed stuck on the eMachines screen black screen with a big quot e quot and the quot Boot Options quot and quot BIOS Setup quot choices I tried pressing F for boot options and F for BIOS to no avail So I turned off the computer and tried again This time I just left it alone for a while It took about minutes but the computer moved on from the eMachines screen on to a black screen saying the following MediaShield ROM BIOS Copyright C NVIDIA Corp Detecting array No matter what I do it won t go any further I tried pressing either F or F immediately after turning the machine on but it doesn t work I tried contacting eMachines support but they won t help me unless I pay their ridiculously high support fees since the computer is out of warranty Does anyone have any suggestions I need to at least be able to boot in safe mode to restore my machine back to what it was before I installed those two programs I have a feeling it may have something to do with Nero rather than iTunes Nero has that virtual drive feature Couldn t that interfere with the boot Thank you all in advance for your help with this problem Best regards Fred Armando nbsp

A:EMachines computer won't boot after installing programs

The hard drive may be bad... If you know how to check it or replace it, good. If you don't have this knowledge, you will have to take it to a repair shop

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/emachines-computer-wont-boot-after-installing-programs.106903/
Relevancy 36.98%

I have an acer computer with an insufficient power supply to run my video card, so i was wondering how i could setup my power supply as external without removing the one that is already in there and so have my new one supply only the video card (if that is even possible)

A:Hooking up seperate power supply

Yeh you could do it, but its not a very good solution. You should really just replace the current PSU completely. But to do what you are asking you need to take Pin 14, and short it to one of the ground pins, that will turn the PSU on and keep it on. Then just run the wires to your video card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hooking-up-seperate-power-supply.105171/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi guys. Im not sure what to do here. Im using Q9450 cpu, evga 9800gx2 gpu and asus striker ii 790i mobo.

Recently ive been trying to encode video using Convertxtodvd but it always crashed after about 5 mins. I switched to TMPG dvd author and all was fine i could encode my video.

Today i installed Crysis on my pc. It froze after about 10 mins of playing it. Restarted the comp and loaded it up again for it to crash after about 20 mins of playing.

Im not really sure what to do. Not sure if its my hardware or software. Im using vista 32bit but i tried installing windows xp pro and the same freezes occured. I would be grateful for any help! thnx!

A:Frequent freezes using certain programs!

Open up the case and try playing the game. if the system freezes, try replacing or upgrading the power supply

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/frequent-freezes-using-certain-programs.104844/
Relevancy 20.64%

Right well I OC'd my e6300 from the stock 1.86 to 2.45 and I was just looking at temperatures. I got speedfan and HWMonitor they seem to disagree on the temp of my CPU. Speedfan will say its 15 lower than what HWMonitor says it is.

Can anybody tell me which program is accurate or if neither what program is?

But they agree on all the other temperatures, GPU, mobo, HDD, etc

A:CPU Temperature reportting different in different programs.

What does PC Wizard say? http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-temperature-reportting-different-in-different-programs.98948/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hello everyone, I am new to TechSpot and I have a question. I am having a party and I was trying to figure out how I am going to play the music. One idea I had was to hook some speakers up to my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501. Can anyone in this community give me any ideas or suggest different ways I could use to amplify my music for a party of about 50-75? thanks!!

-Newlyfound08

A:Hooking speakers up to my Dell laptop?

Newlyfound08 said:

Hello everyone, I am new to TechSpot and I have a question. I am having a party and I was trying to figure out how I am going to play the music. One idea I had was to hook some speakers up to my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron 1501. Can anyone in this community give me any ideas or suggest different ways I could use to amplify my music for a party of about 50-75? thanks!!

-Newlyfound08Click to expand...

Welcome to TechSpot!

Why don't you hook-up the laptop directly to your home stereo system, if you have one instead of speakers. Just have to buy what is called Y-adapter...

Y-adapter is 1/8 male connector with two RCA left and right connectors for audio. Works the same way like using and IPOD. As for speakers you need to get a 5.1 mini system with enough watts say 80 to 150w comes with 5 speakers and active subwoofer. Plus wireless remote.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hooking-speakers-up-to-my-dell-laptop.101215/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have been working on a (Text/Graphics) Contents Fit Some Programs of Don't in Software Window strangle problem on my wife s Gateway ROG with Windows XP service pack for quite some time Some programs do not fit inside of the windows For example the Epson printer software graphics and text are cut off by the right side Contents of Some Software Programs (Text/Graphics) Don't Fit in Window of the window of which they appear and the user can not see the entirety of Contents of Some Software Programs (Text/Graphics) Don't Fit in Window the contents and hence can not select and click much less see options on what should be the right side of the window SuperAnti-Spyware Free edition also does the same thing Apparently for whatever reason these two software programs display their contents inside a window differently than most other software programs which are not displayed correctly inside their respective windows Contents of Some Software Programs (Text/Graphics) Don't Fit in Window For the record this used not to be a problem I have tried re-installing the Epson printer software the printer works fine I have also tried removing and reinstalling the video device driver software This does not work either It is a ATI Mobility Radeon Advice is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Contents of Some Software Programs (Text/Graphics) Don't Fit in Window

Could it be that your display resolutions are wrong?

i doubt it has anything to do with your epson software, since it happens with others..

The normal resolution you should keep your monitors at is to the highest supported by both monitor and graphics card. DPI however, can be altered, found under the advanced properties (display properties>Settings>Advanced..) of your graphics card. Try altering that to the Normal setting and see if it makes a difference..

have you also tried getting the latest software updates available for your graphics card and others you have problem with?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/contents-of-some-software-programs-text-graphics-dont-fit-in-window.99471/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have a Compaq Presario SR1520NX with a 754 socket. I currently have a AMD sempron 3100+ 1.8GHz processor and was planning on getting an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz Processor. The problem is that when I run my system under system requirements lab it says that my processor is rated at 3.10 GHz, this throws me off a bit because the requirement for the game would say 2.8GHz and mine would pass since its "rated" at 3.10GHz even though its a 1.8GHz. Now if I were to buy the 2.4GHz one, will it be rated even higher or no? Basically would the one that I want to get run programs and games better then the one I currently have. and if I do change processors will my performance be enhanced by a lot or will I bearly notice it?
Thank you for your time.

A:Which processor will run programs better on my pc.

I believe you will notice a difference.

But you may also need to look at your Ram (How much Ram is installed ?)

As for the game ratings, well MS says windows can run on 128Meg, but would you ?

These minimum requirements are usually below minimum in my view.

You may wish to download System Specs to find out what you have.
Although this does not show your Power Supply maximum rating ( marked inside the case )

Also before doing anything it is advised to download the computers manual, to find out what the maximum size CPU you can put into that computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-processor-will-run-programs-better-on-my-pc.97362/
Relevancy 37.41%

I am trying to hook an Xbox 360 up to my dell E196FP monitor, but i have no idea where to look or start finding information on how to do this. Could anyone explain to me how i would be able to pull this off, and or refer me to a site that might have some information on this? any help is appreciated

A:Hooking an LCD monitor to a console

This may work for you:
http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo//VG-VGA-BOXB1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hooking-an-lcd-monitor-to-a-console.97364/
Relevancy 19.78%

hello ppl i need some help here, recently i upgraded from a AMD 3800+ cpu and biostar Geforce 6100 motherboard and 7300gt DDR2 256mb TO a Intel E6850 core 2 Duo 3.ghz cpu and the motherboard to a ASUS P5N-E SLI and the gfx card to a 8600gt DDR3 256MB, i had to reinstall windows which i did, i reinstalled the motherborads drivers and reinstalled my gfx card drivers but now every program, game, application, internet, crashes to the desktop with a error msg sayin this program had to be ended sorry for the inconveince and so on pls i really need help with this i dont really know much about computers. here are my full new specs.

intel E6850 core 2 Duo 3.ghz cpu
1500mb DDR2 ram
450 watt power supply
P5N-E SLI ASUS motherboard.
8600GT GFX Card 256mb DDR3
windows xp pro sp2

any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:All games and programs crash after new mother board and cpu installed.

did you update the bios and appropriate drivers?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/all-games-and-programs-crash-after-new-mother-board-and-cpu-installed.97020/
Relevancy 20.64%

Ok, I have been looking for ways to add programs to my U3 thumbdrive start menu list. I have tons of programs on the drive, but want to be able to access them from the quickstart U3 application.

I have searched a bit, but found nothing extremely useful. Anyone got any suggestions? Besides go download things from the U3 website :rolleyes:

A:U3 USB Drive...Add Programs To List

You should try the Shourtcut Creator 4U3. Download from http://usb.smithtech.us/projects/shortcut_creator.php

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/u3-usb-drive-add-programs-to-list.62510/
Relevancy 36.98%

i am experimenting with my video camera with an a/v out. i have an ati tv wonder card which sucks. it has a composite in so i know what to do with the yellow cable. i look for a place for the red and white cables and i find something that looks like this

sorry its so small.
the one on the left (pink) is microphone i think one in middle has a little symbol pointing l left and one on right has a little symbol pointing to the right

can i hook that up or is there something else i have to do

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-hooking-up-composite-audio-to-computer.96682/
Relevancy 20.64%

good day.

Im a graphic artist, and I recently assembled a pc

specs:

MSI P6N SLI V2
intel c2d 2.33 conroe( i think)
3 GIG KINGSTON PC6400
INNO 3D 76OO GT 512 DDR2
80 GIG SATA( OS)
80 GIG IDE( PROGRAMS / TEMPS)
DUKE CASING.

i know i need to add one more memory to make use of dual channel on the motherboard or i can remove the 1 gig.

Programs I usually use.... photoshop, bryce 3d, and planning to use 3d max and sketchup.

i still have a 160 gig ide that i have not yet connected yet that I will use for the scracth disk and files that i will save.

Question is.. is this set enough for me...

should I change the memories to ocz 2 gig kits?
what is the best cooler for the processor..( dont want to use the water things)

should I change the motherboard.

any comment will be appreciated..

Thanks in advance

A:Is my set up Good for my programs

Use 2gigs of RAM (or 2 1 gig sticks and 2 512s for 3gigs in dual channel) if you are using Vista or XP 32bit. Use 4gigs if you are using the 64bit versions of those OSes.

You should be fine with that hardware.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-set-up-good-for-my-programs.96541/
Relevancy 20.21%

i had an error message come up on my new hard drive( lost fat 32 file )or corrupt.i tried repairing and ran windows xp new install but still wouldnt boot up.so i installed it on my second hard drive and got my computer working.now my problem is trying to move files and programs and make my new hard drive the boot drive with operating system without losing anything.

A:Need help transfer files an programs to another harddrive

Hi j frank l, and Welcome.

To access technical support you will need to go to HERE and post your question again (you could just copy your original message) into the appropriate forum for your problem.

This forum is for introductions only as stated above:

Do NOT post your Computer Questions/Problems in this ForumClick to expand...

Your technical questions will then be responded to.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-transfer-files-an-programs-to-another-harddrive.95664/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello everyone First off i ll start with my system specs Number of processors Number of cores per processor Number of threads max per processor Name Intel Pentium Code Name Prescott Specification Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz Package Socket LGA Family Model Stepping F Extended Family Model F Core Stepping E Technology nm Core Speed MHz Multiplier x Bus speed x MHz Rated Bus speed MHz Stock frequency MHz Instruction sets MMX SSE SSE SSE EM T L Data cache per processor KBytes -way set associative -byte line size Trace cache per processor Kuops -way set associative L cache per processor KBytes -way set regard Need my PSU and my in tower old on to advice help updating associative -byte line size Chipset amp Memory Northbridge VIA P M CE rev Southbridge VIA VT rev Graphic Interface AGP Need help and advice in regard to updating my PSU on my old tower AGP Revision AGP Transfer Rate x AGP Side Band Addressing supported enabled Memory Type DDR Memory Size MBytes Memory Frequency MHz DRAM Interleave -way CAS Latency tCL clocks RAS to CAS tRCD clocks RAS Precharge tRP clocks Cycle Time tRAS clocks Command Rate CR T System System Manufacturer System Name snc eeh System S N Mainboard Vendor Biostar Mainboard Model P M Pro-M BIOS Vendor Phoenix Technologies LTD BIOS Version PG BIOS Date Memory SPD Module DDR PC - MHz MBytes Transcend Information Module DDR PC - MHz MBytes Centon Software Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack Build DirectX Version c - Sorry for the spam anywho I m buying this video card URL quot http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp sku P - quot URL And It requires a minimum of a W power supply and I believe my current is only W My main question is Will that video card and this power supply URL quot http www tigerdirect com applications searchtools item-details asp EdpNo amp body MAIN quot URL Fit and work with my motherboard and my case and all that The current PSU I have now is AL-C ATX From Allied Technologies Thanks for the help nbsp

A:Need help and advice in regard to updating my PSU on my old tower

I'm not familiar with that brand power supply but the amps look good on the 2 +12V lines. It should run that system just fine. Just remember that the power supply is the only component on your system that has the capacity of destroying ever other component. I always am willing to spend a few bucks more for an Antec, Thermaltake, or other well known brand. My last one was a CoolerMaster. They have some good rebate deals right now. This 750W one for $80US after rebate is a good deal. The other thing you need to look at is output. The Aspire is listing the maximum output at 600W. That's not a continuous rate. The Cooler Master on the other hand is advertising theirs as a 750W unit. When you check the specs you see it is rated at 750W continuous and 900W max output. So on that type of rating you may be actually only getting 450 to 500W continuous on the Aspire. Sorry for going on and on, but power supplies are one of the most important components, and it's difficult sometimes to know what to look for.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-and-advice-in-regard-to-updating-my-psu-on-my-old-tower.95259/
Relevancy 37.41%

i just put in a new PSU and turned the PC on, it came ON just fine the fans were spinning , but the screen just stays blank , my motherboard has a 24 pin connector , and the PSU has a 20 pin connector, but it worked just fine with my old PSU it had a 20 pin connector and 4 were left out and it still worked fine , so can somebody please help me out ....Thanks

A:Blank screen after hooking up new PSU

Suggest you install a 24 pin power supply. Those extra four pins are the key to video graphics on some boards...
Does your video graphics card have its own power socket on the back end?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/blank-screen-after-hooking-up-new-psu.94529/
Relevancy 68.37%

somethin is not right here....my tower is turned on but there is no signal goin to the monitor....and the lights on the tower lights is now red....one of my dvd drivers open half way and the other just wont open...it has to be the damn voltage settings on my power supply

the story is there was a shutdown in my area for almost 12 hours becuz the city needed to rewire and fix some **** on the ground.

and when the power was up again...this happened.

i thought at first it was a bios issue so i took out that little round thing out of the motherboard and put it back but no luck......

my powersuppy is a 500w antec.....and i have a gigabyte motherboard.

the bad thing about my powersupply is theres no voltage switcher....so i dont know how to adjust it...... ANY HELP well be appreciated

A:TOWER lights up but monitor no signal

You have a few misperceptions on how things work... such as voltage switcher on the power supply. You don't want to mess with the power supply.
Your problem could be power supply, hard drive, video graphics, or memory failure... or some other problem.
You can help us help you by posting your computuer brand and model as well as operating system, age of the unit, memory installed, and type of video graphics.
Further, we would like to know what antivirus software, Antispyware, and rootkit snoopers you have installed.
What was going on with your computer when the power failure hit? As that seems critical.
What was that little round thing? A CMOS battery with the number 2032?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tower-lights-up-but-monitor-no-signal.80652/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hey guys ive been strugglin with an off and on problem for a good while initially i thought my video card was bad because i could be doin pretty off Screen still on turns tower and much anything and somethin glitches screen Screen turns off and tower still on goes black u can hear lil noises Screen turns off and tower still on thru the sound and the tower is still on learned to just kinda unplug it and plug into another outlet usually Screen turns off and tower still on worked but now my wife found out if u unplug net and comp and replug em in starts up no idea what it could be i sent my video card in for warranty when this started that didnt fix it so i went to the power supply it had a burn mark in one of the pin holes so i sent it in got a new one thought the problem was gone it was for awhile and now recently its been startin back up can this be a problem wit my motherboard or i just duno wut it could be Thanks nbsp

A:Screen turns off and tower still on

Hi fireOfear and welcome to TechSpot.:wave:

Your problem could be heat related. Open your pc up and give it a good dust out and see if that helps.

Also, Google and get Everest home edition and use that to monitor temperatures and voltages for a while.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-turns-off-and-tower-still-on.91192/
Relevancy 36.55%

I just got a Dell inspiron 531 desktop, and I'm trying to install a x1950 pro in there. I'm supposed to plug one plug into the hard drive, and the other into the power supply. The problem is that the only loose plugs I see dont fit.

Here are the plugs inside the PC.

And this is the plug on the video card.

A:Help hooking up video card to power supply.

The pictures are hard to make out but if its 4 pin power molex's that you need then a y splitter is cheap and should do the job.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-hooking-up-video-card-to-power-supply.90186/
Relevancy 20.21%

right, ive posted threads about this a few times yet no help. perhaps its too hard for you guys but il try you.

basically, my computer doesn't connect to any programs....

msn, remote assistance, updates

NOTHING except IE and limewire.

It gets error messages for 'no internet connection' etc.
I dont kno what the **** to do.... can anyone help ive had this for about a year now, and I kind of want msn and other programs to work..

and btw, dont say do a virus scan, coz my AV (mcafee) hasnt been updated since 06 lol. due to no internet connection

HELP will be much appericated

A:internet programs not working (proper problem)

well ... a description of the network devices and system would certainly help.

meanwhile; try looking at this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-programs-not-working-proper-problem.88869/
Relevancy 68.37%

i am building a new computer and have pretty much decided upon my specs untill i was reading the thread quot power supply upgrade- need some recomendations quot i used a power supply calculator to try and figure out how big of a PSU cooling i needed in the new case note i know nothing about cases and have been having a hard time finding somethign i know will work to make a long story short my specs said i needed w on my psu and i dont know PSU, computer for new tower needed cooling, what type of cooling i should cooling, PSU, tower needed for new computer be using cooling, PSU, tower needed for new computer or any websites to find a tower that will work and include cooling psu having a few concerns about finding a tower and if i should downgrade from quad to dual processor because of my high PSU needs had a hard time with exact power needs because i am not sure if my motherboard is high end and other little things like that anyone who can provide information as to a tower with a good enough PSU cooling proper number of ports etc can tell me how much power i actually need or recommend a tower would be great here are my computer specs gigabyte ga-p c-ds r motherboard p intel chipset intel core quad q ghz processor dimms of gb ddr dual channel RAM geforce gts or mb video card havent decided but calc didnt change much between the i am using my old drives for the time being floppy drive dvd drive and cd rw drive assuming IDE harddrive and am not using any USB or other divices such as external drives not sure on the fans cooling aspect because i do not have a tower for it yet is there anything i am missing that will make it easier to figure out i couldnt find a thread that talked about cases so i figured cooling was an appropriate place to put this thread if not plz let me know and i will repost in the proper forum your help is much appreciated Swen nbsp

A:cooling, PSU, tower needed for new computer

Look at Antec cases. Not cheap but top quality and usually come with a generous PSU and decent chassis fans all in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cooling-psu-tower-needed-for-new-computer.85478/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi I currently have a wireless linksys router hooked up to a linksys switch i now want to hook up another router to it how can i do this i switch and linksys help routers hooking up was told that i first have to go into the second new router and help hooking up linksys routers and switch change the ip help hooking up linksys routers and switch address to and then disable dchp and then hit save this is all done at the set up page my question is here i have a linksys wireless router WKPC G help hooking up linksys routers and switch hooked up to a linksys switch ezxs w i now want to connect the linksys switch to a linksys router befsr i have port three of the wireless router connected to port of the switch here is the question can i take a cable from port of the switch and connect it to port of the second router the sr and then use the remaining ports of that router to go to other computers i was told i should take a cable from the uplink port on the switch to the internet port on the second router and then i can use the other router ports for computers and i was also told i can go from any available ports etc form the swithch to any ports etc to the second router i have two computers on the first router and one computer and one printer on the switch i want to be able to print from all the computers even the new ones i plan to hook up to the second router i was told the best way was to use an available switch port to any of the numbered ports of the new router and not use the uplink port of the sitch or the internet port of the second router please lt me know the best way thanks nbsp

A:help hooking up linksys routers and switch

Why do you want to add another router... A switch plugged into the current switch is the better choice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-hooking-up-linksys-routers-and-switch.87233/
Relevancy 33.97%

I managed (don't know how)
a, to get my 8100 to fail to boot.
b, try an incorrect restore disc (that created an invalid partition)
c,then enable a hdd password i can't remember or bypass(using DELL)

If that lot doesn't seem unlucky enougth after loosing my mobile i now realise my (lil millenium bug) is the only HD with my childrens pictures on it.

Been diviorced with a real bunny boiler of an x i would be grateful for any asssistance in getting to the stored data...(that can't be replaced)

I aplologise if this thread isn't writen the best but is first forum i've ever visited...

Can anyone offer assistance as i would really like to be able to retrieve the pic's some taken 10yrs ago that can never be reproduced

Thanks in advance (a stupid beginner)......

A:Computer will no longer boot, how to retrieve data off hard drive ?

I'd suggest paying someone to do it professionally as then it will get done properly, as opposed to someone here telling you how to DIY.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-will-no-longer-boot-how-to-retrieve-data-off-hard-drive.86735/
Relevancy 20.21%

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem im having Its strange because I keep getting write errors when I try to burn cd s with nero and alcohol I try burning like cds and I get the same thing I cant figure out whats wrong because my programs Other with Write Nero error 7 and drive can read cds just fine and the brand i use for the cds ive been using for a while now It s like on day it just stopped working Well i saved the log if it helps Here it is Windows XP IA WinAspi File Wnaspi dll Ver size bytes created PM ahead WinASPI File C Program Files Nero Nero Write error with Nero 7 and Other programs Core Wnaspi dll Ver size bytes created PM NT-SPTI used Nero Version Internal Version Recorder lt MAT A UJ- D gt Version - HA TA - Adapter driver lt IDE gt HA Drive buffer kB Bus Type default - gt ATAPI detected CD-ROM lt MAT A UJ- D gt Version - HA TA - Adapter driver lt IDE gt HA Scsi-Device-Map DiskPeripheral FUJITSU MHU AT atapi Port ID DMA On CdRomPeripheral MAT A UJ- D atapi Port ID DMA On CDRom-Device-Map MAT A UJ- D D CDRom AutoRun Excluded drive IDs WriteBufferSize Byte BUFE Physical memory MB kB Free physical memory MB kB Memory in use Uncached PFiles x Use Inquiry Global Bus Type default Check supported media Disabled CD-ROM ISO PM Text File SCSIPTICommands cpp Line LockMCN - completed sucessfully for IOCTL STORAGE MCN CONTROL PM Text File Isodoc cpp Line Iso document burn settings ------------------------------------------ Determine maximum speed FALSE Simulate FALSE Write TRUE Finalize CD FALSE Multisession TRUE Multisession type Start multisession Burning mode DAO Mode ISO Level Max of char Character set ISO Joliet TRUE Allow pathdepth more than directories TRUE Allow more than characters in path TRUE Write ISO file extensions TRUE PM Text File Burncd cpp Line MAT A UJ- D Buffer underrun protection activated PM ISO GEN - File Geniso cpp Line First writeable address x PM Text File Burncd cpp Line Turn on Disc-At-Once using CD-R RW media PM Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line Last possible write address on media Last address to be written PM Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line Write in overburning mode NO enabled CD PM Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line Recorder MAT A UJ- D CDR code OSJ entry from Ritek Co ATIP Data Special Info hex C F LI F B LO Additional Info hex invalid invalid invalid PM Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line gt gt gt Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities lt lt lt PM Text File ThreadedTransferInterface cpp Line Setup items after recorder preparation TRM DATA MODE indices index not provided original disc pos relocatable disc pos for caching writing not required required - gt TRM DATA MODE config wanted index blocks length blocks D MAT A UJ- D -------------------------------------------------------------- PM Text File ThreadedTransferInterface cpp Line Prepare D MAT A UJ- D for write in CUE-sheet-DAO DAO infos MCN quot quot TOCType x Session Closed disc not fixated Tracks to Idx Idx Next Trk TRM DATA MODE x FilePos ISRC quot quot DAO layout Start Track Idx CtrlAdr Size NWA RecDep - lead-in x x - x - x x x lead-out x x PM Text File SCSIPTICommands cpp Line SPTILockVolume - completed successfully for FCTL LOCK VOLUME PM Phase File dlgbrnst cpp Line Caching of files started PM Text File Burncd cpp Line Cache writing successful PM Phase File dlgbrnst cpp Line Caching of files completed PM Phase File dlgbrnst cpp Line Burn process started at x KB s PM Text File ThreadedTransferInterface cpp Line Verifying disc position of item relocatable disc pos no patch infos orig at write at PM Text File MMC cpp Line StartDAO CD-Text - Off PM Text File MMC cpp Line Set BUFE Buffer underrun protection - gt ON PM Text File MMC cpp Line CueData Len aa PM Text File Cdrdrv cpp Line - D MAT A UJ- D Queue again later PM SPTI - File SCSIPassThrough cpp Line CdRom SCSIStatus x WinError NeroError - Sense Key x KEY MEDIUM ERROR Sense Code x C Sense Qual x CDB Data x A Sense Area xF D A B C Buffer x cb ec Len x x C A E B C D C x C C A E ED A x B FA B A B... Read more

A:Write error with Nero 7 and Other programs

How old is the burner?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/write-error-with-nero-7-and-other-programs.85794/
Relevancy 69.23%

I have recently bought the following items for my new computer.

Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

Procesor: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz San Diego

Memory:1 GB (2 pcs 512MB) DDR (400) PC-3200 Corsair w/LED Display (TWINX1024-3200XLPRO)

Video Card: eVGA GeForce 7800 GTX KO 256MB

Hard Disk :Western Digital 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor (WD740GD)

Now I need a good place to put this bad boy into. What is a good computer case/tower for cooling? What should I buy to keep this bad boy cool? CPU fan? other fans?

thanks!

A:Computer Case/Tower

ZIP!! WHOOSH!!!

That is a nice system. Damn!

How about this for a case?
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...ial=RC-730&other_title=+RC-730+Praetorian 730

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-case-tower.31005/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello,

I am having a problem. I want to know if it is possible to put windows on my small USB seagate 120G hard drive. I want to put Auto Cad and Photoshop on it an use it at other computers that don't have that software. I don't have money for a laptop at the moment. Hopefully someone can help me. I am a complete ***** at things like this.

A:Using programs from an External Hard Drive

It may be possible, but I doubt it... have never seen it work reliably, although I have seen a lot of good techs try... maybe the latest Windows versions will work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-programs-from-an-external-hard-drive.85025/