Windows Support Forum

54mbps wireless question

Q: 54mbps wireless question

Not a problem as such, just something I wondered whilst bored the other day.

If I had a 54mbps wireless router, with 1 client connected wirelessly, the computer would get the full 54mbps.
If I had 2 computers connected wirelessly, would both have 54mbps or would both ahve a throughput of somewhere nearer 27mbps?

As I said, just something I wondered about that may be helpful at a later time.

- Jack

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: 54mbps wireless question

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 65.79%

Hi there,

I got a new Dell desktop - XPS7100 in April with Wireless N Wlan card and everything was running fine speed wise however for last two weeks I am suddenly only being able to get maximum speed of 54mbps on my wi-fi connection.

I have installed drivers to latest etc but still cannot get back to the speeds I should be getting on my 50Meg BB.

Nothing has changed with the router or anything so am at a loss as to why this has suddenly happened.

Help please!

A:Wireless N only getting 54mbps

try releasing control from the application that came with the wireless device and turning it back over to windows, or vice versa, whichever may be the case. This is usually a application oriented problem in my experience and not a hardware oriented once (unless signal strength is an issue)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/166569-wireless-n-only-getting-54mbps.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I decided to buy a new Router to try and get some quicker speeds, no luck so far, heres what I have.

Qwest DSL modem only 1.5Mbps connect to
A Cisco Linksys E2000 Advanced Wireless-N Router
with a CAT6 cable going between the modem and the router

What am I doing wrong.

Between the router and my DESKTOP computer I get 1 Gbps, but my speed for wireless is still only 54Mbps, I thought I could get this up to 150.

Thanks!

A:Wireless Connection ONLY 54MBps

Just to make sure your wireless adapter is wireless N also? If so then you might want to check your wireless settings. I had a similar problem with mine. When in mixed mode it would cut my rate down to 36Mbps instead of 54MBps despite my adapter being G like the router. When I would set it to G only everything was fine. Maybe you're having the same issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/142633-wireless-connection-only-54mbps.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I currently have a Belkin Wireless N router and have been using the standard wireless card in my laptop to connect to it which only supports wireless G, so I just purchased a Belkin N+ wireless adaptor and set it up but it only shows 54mbps when wireless N should be 300mbps? Are wireless N and N+ two different things? Ive tried setting my router to wireless N only and the adapter picks up the router, but refuses to connect to it. Any ideas on how to get it to connect in wireless N to my router?

Thanks

Relevancy 63.64%

I'm trying to make my laptop work with a wireless network adapter.
It gets stuck on 'Acquiring ip address'.
Running microsoft windows xp service pack 3
My router/modem (it's a 2-in-one provided by my ISP) is made by Inteno.
2 months ago i installed a portable modem and ran perfectly but after i stop using it i got "Erorr 623:The System Could Not Find the Phone Book Entry for This Connection." The portable modem is: "Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)"
​Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : hellraiser

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-74-4B-DB-F7

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-6C-6C-C5-BF

A:Netgear WG111v2 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter

Disable encryption and MAC Address filtering on the router and try to connect. Assuming success you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect. If unsuccessful please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/netgear-wg111v2-54mbps-wireless-usb-2-0-adapter.801386/
Relevancy 63.64%

Concerning wireless routers, I need help understanding advertised speeds. Some advertise 54Mbps and some, 108-, 125-, etc.

The router will be used with two-year-old Compaq and Averatec laptops with built-in Wireless G; but, I might consider a Wireless PCMCIA card if it will increase LAN speed.

Brands and specific models don't have any bearing on my question; I'm just trying to understand the data rates and when/how it makes a difference in my real-world use of this wireless hardware on a LAN.

Relevancy 63.64%

Hey all,

Not being a hardware type guy I'm having trouble finding any definitive info on this one.

Can anyone tell me for sure if the abovementioned router is capable of supporting ADSL2?

Can't find specs for it anywhere and even if I could it all reads like heiroglyphics to me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/netgear-dg834g-v2-54mbps-wireless-router.766782/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi,
I have updated its driver several times but it always give an error code 12 in device manager of WinXP.
Code 12: This device could not find suitable resources........

Would anyone please help me in this matter.

A:Zonet 2.4GHz/54Mbps Wireless card bus

Device Model Number

You need to tell people more about the device you may get help quicker.

Try to post the model number there are a lot of products made by Zonet. So there is no chance of help by just saying the product manufacturer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/zonet-2-4ghz-54mbps-wireless-card-bus.100948/
Relevancy 63.64%

Im trying to install this on a Dell Demension 4700 with win xp professional, I get as far as the setup, but can't go any further, the software wont let me set up any wireless. Not sure what's going on could use some help please.
Heidi

A:NETGEAR WG311v3 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter

have you tried installing from device manager
you should have a yellow ? or ! right click and install from there and then point to the CD driver

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/netgear-wg311v3-54mbps-wireless-pci-adapter.1052141/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop with a Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN Wireless NIC. It will only connect to my new wireless-N router (Belkin Vision ADSL) at 54mbps. The signal is strong and both the router and NIC are in wireless-N mode. No other devices are currently connected.

I'm stumped. Anyone got any ideas?

A:Wireless N NIC won't connect to Belkin Vision router at more than 54mbps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-n-nic-wont-connect-to-belkin-vision-router-at-more-than-54mbps.924024/
Relevancy 61.92%

Boy am I glad you advised to run your sysinfo it reminded me that I uninstalled an antivirus package and forgot to install the new one I have an SMCWBR S-N router and I m using a usb wireless adapter that says it supports n and promises speeds of mbps My signal strength is excellent yet my speed is only mbps This is the only wireless connection on my network I have PCs connected at mbps and a Dish Wireless runs adapter only Solved: w/150mbps Laptop at USB 54mbps DVR connected at who knows what speed I ve been trying to read questions and answers from others online and I keep reading that ISP speed plays a role How does my ISP s speed affect my wireless network s speed Plus I run speedtest net all the time and my download speed is Solved: Laptop w/150mbps USB Wireless adapter only runs at 54mbps usually mbps But my question is simply why is my speed so low and what can I do about it Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack bit Processor AMD Turion tm Mobile Technology ML- x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI MOBILITY RADEON XPRESS Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Solved: Laptop w/150mbps USB Wireless adapter only runs at 54mbps D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Hewlett-Packard B Antivirus None nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

I just bought a Zonet ZEW P Wireless USB Adpater Mbps from newegg com and the connections I get is capped at Mbps and I read some of the reviews and someone said they installed a windows driver Adapter, capped at Network Wireless need 54Mbps Connection with 11Mbps a help... and was runnin at Mbps Also they were talking about some Windows Xp Wireless zero Configuration service for WPA encryption What is that exactly do I need it Im not connecting to my own wireless network just to whatever is around my area I Wireless Network Connection capped at 11Mbps with a 54Mbps Adapter, need help... usually get the encrypted secure ones and some unsecure ones that I can actually use but Wireless Network Connection capped at 11Mbps with a 54Mbps Adapter, need help... the signal drops very low most of the time with those ones and I can t stay connected Do I need to download the Ralink driver that one of the reviewers mention to get connected to the secure conenctions What is WPA and WEP and whats the diffrence Heres the reviews from newegg I was talking about This part is a bit long but just read the bold print if your too lazy Very good reception ultra-compact size for desktop easy to The ZEW P is a unique G USB wireless adapter in that it is marketed as a quot desktop version quot It is about the size of five or six stacked credit cards so I suppose it will fit even the tiniest of desktops Most likely it is just a USB pen-style adapter in a different style case That being said it does perform well It consistantly maintains a Mbps connection and a signal from about feet It comes with a ft long USB cable so it is pretty easy to move around The software driver works well but the provided quot monitor quot utility is sorely lacking You ll need to use Windows XP wireless zero configuration service for configuration if you want to use WPA encryption - because Zonet s utility does not directly support WPA even though the box lists WPA If you plan to use this adapter under Windows K SE or ME - you won t be able to use WPA with the provided software - only WEP However the manufacturer of the chipset Ralink used in this adapter publishes it s own updated driver and utility software This updated software will support WPA directly on all windows operatings systems and the utility is slightly nicer overall This updated software is not yet available directly from Zonet - download the chipset software directly from Ralink In summary this is a great little wireless USB adapter - so long as you use Windows XP wireless zero configuration or update the driver and utility to the lastest provided by the chipset manufacturer No problems whatsoever This is the first wireless adaptor I ve ever owned and so far it s worked perfectly I installed the drivers restarted computer plugged in the adaptor it automatically found and connected to the network in just a few seconds after startup and I was ready to go In case you are wondering it is backwards compatible with USB and will automatically switch from b to g depending on what network it connects to this may be obvious to you but this is the first time I ve had a wireless system so it surprised me that it did it automatically Like some people have said the included configuration tool is a little too bare-bones and you re probably better off using Window s Wireless Zero program I noticed that my roomate s Linksys adaptor can identify more networks in the neighborhood so it may not have as good an antennae as the competition In either case it still registers as having quot excellent signal strength quot to my own network Highly recommended Good but no WPA in Windows I did not buy mine from Newegg The adapter has good range but not spectacular However it has no WPA for Windows and Zonet Tech Support told me they will not update software Just so you know if WPA is crucial to your w k Works well under Linux rt sourceforge net Bought one of these after giving up in frustration with a g PCI card This adapter worked immedi... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-connection-capped-at-11mbps-with-a-54mbps-adapter-need-help.413374/
Relevancy 61.49%

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L500D PLSK0A-00U009 And i can connect to the internet fine but the speed is incredibly slow and no matter what i do i cant fix it ive tryed Reinstalling and fiddling with the settings and with no luck. Does anyone know how to fix the problem with the speed im having www.speedtest.net test shows the speed at 0.52kbp/s Download and upload at 1.45kbp/s Please help

A:Problems with Realtek RTL8187SE Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps PCIE Network Adapter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-realtek-rtl8187se-wireless-802-11b-g-54mbps-pcie-network-adapter.997509/
Relevancy 56.33%

Greetings I have subscribed to DSL and Teleco Video cable through DSL/Router Compusa D90-740010-06 54Mbps Westell router + wireless (SKU:333628) my Westell D90-740010-06 DSL/Router + Compusa 54Mbps wireless router (SKU:333628) phone company They provided the Westell Modem Model D - - It has ports but goto the televisions for cable and the other is going Westell D90-740010-06 DSL/Router + Compusa 54Mbps wireless router (SKU:333628) to my personal computer I have a Compusa SKU wireless router I want to connect so i can also use my laptop my ISP will not assist since the connection works with model personal computer with hardwired I thought I could just run a cable from one of the ports on the DSL Router to the WAN port on my Wireless Router however this did not work So I ran a cable from one of the ports on the DSL router to a regular ethernet port on the wireless routher not the WAN and I could hardwire both the desktop pc and wireless and connect to internet however the wireless would never work my pc says wireless is connect but when I open IE or firefox it does not connect Can someone please help I am going insane The following link will take you to the manual for my wireless router http fmi compusa com driver asp SKU and the following is the datasheet for the westell model router http www westell com images products ultraline pdf exact info on the dsl router Model Number D - - Serial Number B MAC Address a db Software Version VER Software Model Port Gateway Description WireSpeed Data Gateway Boot Loader VER Configuration - - A Thanks Martin Maynard In Loving memory of our daughter Bailey DeLonais Maynard January - March SIDS IT S REAL www healingokhearts org nbsp

A:Westell D90-740010-06 DSL/Router + Compusa 54Mbps wireless router (SKU:333628)

You have 2 routers - they are both trying to issue IP addresses so it is not surprising that there is a problem. If you can disable DHCP on the wireless router it might work as a wireless switch or hub. It is worth a try.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/westell-d90-740010-06-dsl-router-compusa-54mbps-wireless-router-sku-333628.86758/
Relevancy 46.87%

My internet has recently been very slow. It is usually below 36mbps, which is already nearly half of the 54mbps I usually get.
There have been no changes to the hardware, and I doubt there is any issue with interference (my sister's room is right next to mine, yet she has 54mbps)
The only clue I have is that it may have been the result of a recent virus infection, but the problem had existed before that occurred, and I did not find anything suspicious in my HJT log.

There has also been another problem: My computer in general has been slowed down. It is now very prone to long loading times, unresponsive windows, and general slow-ness.

I attached a speccy snapshot, in case that will help describe my case.

Does anybody know what might be causing either of these problems?

Thanks!

A:Low Wi-Fi speed-- 18/54mbps

I attached a speccy snapshot, in case that will help describe my case.OOPs you did not add the Speccy shot.Here are the directions for you to try again - Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread:It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.My internet has recently been very slow. It is usually below 36mbpsThis is not a real bad speed if it is consistant.I have just upgraded my plan, and I now get about 20mbps, which is more than OK -Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/434054/low-wi-fi-speed-1854mbps/
Relevancy 46.44%

My HP mini 110 with win7 starter edition is connecting to a linksys wrt120n router at 54 mbps with router right next to computer. this router replaced my linksys g router. This is my first post to a forum, let me know if did anything wrong and I will correct it.

A:Win 7 connecting to n router @54mbps

Quote: Originally Posted by Snakeshot

My HP mini 110 with win7 starter edition is connecting to a linksys wrt120n router at 54 mbps with router right next to computer. this router replaced my linksys g router. This is my first post to a forum, let me know if did anything wrong and I will correct it.

We could use some system specs to know what hardware we are dealing with. Is the pc wifi card "n" as well?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/173329-win-7-connecting-n-router-54mbps.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I just bought a D-link usb wireless adaptor which is working fine thank you. But, I noticed that for about 10 bucks more I could have gotten a different adaptor which says it can go up to speeds of 108mbps instead of the 54mbps I can get with the one I bought. My router is from SBC. It's a 2wire529. Would it make any difference?

A:Solved: 54mbps vs. 108mbps

the router would need to support 108
also it would only make a difference if copying files between PC's etc all with 108 kit.

as far as the internet is concerned it will depend on your connection speed - if you have a 2MB connection then thats the slowest link and 54 or 108 makes no difference

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-54mbps-vs-108mbps.493676/
Relevancy 46.44%

I bought a new PCI Lan card off ebay brand new in a box and when I opened it it had no antenna. It was nobodys fault, infact the seller said to send it back an he would refund my money.Problem is I live in Canada and to ship it back to US is close to my buying price. I have looked all over Microsofts sites to purchase and new antenna without any luck. Any ideas as to where I might buy just the antenna?
Thanks
Ernest

A:Microsoft MN-730 54Mbps PCI Lan card

I'd insiste the seller pick up the return shipping since he didn't supply a complete unit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/microsoft-mn-730-54mbps-pci-lan-card.396574/
Relevancy 46.44%

Internet says it can go 54mbps but it goes around 30-40kbps
How can i change this?
Why is it doing that?

Relevancy 46.44%

Ok guys....now...You all know that little monitor that show internet speed-100mbps(that monitor at clock)...and my problem is next..few days ago i had speed 100mbps....and now i have 54mbps!!!!it just downgrade for 46mbps!!!i dont know how to fix it....it rly slow my internet....so if any1 know tell me...and if u need more informations ask...xD thx

A:100mbps=54mbps INTERNET

What is the make and model of the wireless network router that you have?

If it is a G type then the NIC that you are using might just be lowering itself to 54 mbps which might be normal. Try disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the NIC and check the speed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/100mbps-54mbps-internet-255869.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi, I am connecting to a Netgear WNR34BV2 using a 5100AGN. The wireless mode set on the router is "270 mbps" out of the possible choices of 54,130 and 270.

I am using AES encryption. Latest drivers installed for the 5100agn and the latest firmware too. What am I doing wrong?
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
Wireless card: Intel 5100AGN
RAM: 4060 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 461899 MB, Free - 210885 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0C234M, A07, .DTMZWK1.CN486439AU0860.
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Relevancy 46.01%

I use the Netgear 54mbps wireless router DG834G to connect my home PC and two Macs for internet access. The two Macs can receive an internet connection of between 40-50mbps - my Compaq PC running Windows Xp only ever seems to connect at 11mpbs. Any ideas on why this might be so, and how I can achieve a better connection speed?

Relevancy 46.01%

Can anyone tell me how I can obtain update drivers for windows 98 to run a wireless card, in this case a netgear 54Mbps.

Alternatively if someone could tell me where to look for the info that'd be great too.

Happy hoilidays
Hotelguru

Relevancy 46.01%

Hi guys,
Just wanting some help setting up a "Netgear 54Mbps WG614 v7 router".
The power is "ON"
The test is off.
The wireless is flashing
the internet "i" is on

And all the other numbers are off. eg. next to the internet there
number 1 "off"
number 2 "off"
number 3"off"
number 4 "off"

I'm trying to setup this wireless Netgear 54Mbps WG614 v7 router with a optusnet ADSL 4200 modem.
When I go threw the netgear the netgear interface a show. But I NOT have interent access.
When connteched directly to the ADSL Modem 4200 I get internet.
Oh the have a WG111v2 USB Wireless adapter.

NO internet from the router.

P.s tried reset router already. I get page can not be display.
Thanks

A:Router Netgear 54Mbps issue

The ADSL mdoem is probably looking for the MAC address of your computer (which had normally been the first device modem connected to till now). The MAC address is unique hardware address assigned every network adapter.
=> Meaning your netgear router has its own MAC adress
=> And the modem won't provide internet connect to any hardware it sees that's different from the your PC's MAC address (we'll leave aside why some ISP's do this)

Couple options:
a) Most routers (you'll need look at the netgear) have a setup option where you choose to either
- Use the router MAC address (default)
- Use a MAC address you tell it (in which case you tell it the computer's MAC address)
b) But probably simplest to try and force your ISP to reset the address it looks for. Either call your ISP and tell them OR for most ISPs power down your modem for about 15 minutes. Should now accept the MAC address from router. (power down/up works most of the time, if not call ISP dor mac setup in netgear

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-netgear-54mbps-issue.120706/
Relevancy 46.01%

For my laptop, the speed was 300Mbps few days before but it changed to 54Mbps last night. I did not change any settings for my router and adapter and the only software I installed during this period is Windows update of March. I found the client monitor in router's setup page displays 802.11n is disabled. So what are the reasons?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've got the adapter driver to be the latest one.

A:WiFi speed down from 300Mbps to 54Mbps??

set wireless channel to automatic?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/219952-wifi-speed-down-300mbps-54mbps.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Still not getting connection with Router at startup I have installed all available upgrades drivers firmware updates and am still having the same problem GatewayE mb ATI RAge pro g gand outrider usb gHDD Generic cd Optprite x Belkin WGT624, 54Mbps Netgear WirelessG CDRW Outrider usb x CDRW PCI port out- in USBcard one MultiCard read write-usb and one belkin wireless adapter g PCI OS-Win pro w Office Here is the problem I was having no trouble with any of my sys then suddenly my wireless began to not connect with the home LAN I forgot That part of this mess consists of an SMC cable modem and NETGEAR wireless Router There are four other systems of varying type also connected and no probs My sons system is doing the same thing and the only thing the two sys have in commom is the operating system If I uninstall- reinstall the card w o reboot itworks fine If I reboot it shows Netgear WGT624, Belkin WirelessG 54Mbps the Netgear WGT624, Belkin WirelessG 54Mbps card to be working but will not connect Specifically diag shows it to be transmitting not recieving My sons system does exactly the same thing and like I said it has nothing physically incommon Netgear does not seem to be Netgear WGT624, Belkin WirelessG 54Mbps the culprit could it be Pro When I installed it I was informed that scrcons exe was missing but it is not it is present this happened when settingup my sons sys as well I can use the system as is I simply hate little mysteries like this Any Help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/netgear-wgt624-belkin-wirelessg-54mbps.373275/
Relevancy 45.58%

There is a new networking article on Tom's Hardware -

Buffalo Technology WBR-G54 AirStation 54Mbps Broadband Router

http://www6.tomshardware.com/network/20030106/index.html

Eric,

http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/BuyerBeware.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/buffalo-technology-54mbps-broadband-router.3849/
Relevancy 43%

This is my firt post in the "Networking" section

Lets say i have a PC and another Hp pavilion portable.And lets say that had a Dell router with me with a DSL and USB cable included.If i Connected the router to my Pc and everything was working fine,would my portable (if i looked) automaticaly detect the wireless router on my PC or would i have to take specific measures to fix it all?

If theres measures to be taken..would someone inform me and please provide a (if possible) walkthorugh through all this?
Thanks for helping!

A:Just a quick but crucial question about wireless connections and wireless routers...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/just-a-quick-but-crucial-question-about-wireless-connections-and-wireless-routers.490689/
Relevancy 42.57%

Thanks for all your help Im all fixed up now got everything transferred wireless wireless on up setting with adapter about computer Question a USB a over Question about setting up wireless on a computer with a USB wireless adapter to the new HDD got the new HDD installed and everything is working wonderful now I tried checking to see if the failed HDD was under warranty but they couldnt determine that with my serial number I still have it but will try again for warranty I do have a new problem now if you want to try and help me with this one I have a Gateway Ationtec Wireless DSL modem GT -WG installed now my son has a school computer we need to hook up to the wireless internet I bought a Belkin N wireless USB adapter for his computer downloaded the software and plugged in the USB adapter the light blinks blue on the Belkin but it shows no wireless connectivity what am I doing wrong am I suppose to do something on my Gateway or do i use the same setup I did when installing the DSL modem on my first computer Ive been at this all morning and Im ready to toss in the towel my PC has Windows XP home ED and sons PC has Windows XP PRO mines is a Dell and his is a HP any advise please nbsp

A:Question about setting up wireless on a computer with a USB wireless adapter

Have you properly setup the wireless network? Installing the USB adapter is only one part of the wireless networking. Run the wireless setup in the Control Panel. Follow the instructions carefully

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-setting-up-wireless-on-a-computer-with-a-usb-wireless-adapter.91729/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hi I have a Huawei HG router which is sending a signal to a new Cisco linksys AE adapter New signal usb 802.11n than adapter 802.11g but adapter, 54Mbps weaker old in another room which is connected New 802.11n usb adapter, but signal weaker than old 802.11g 54Mbps adapter to an Acer PC However the signal strength in bottom left corner is only on bars sometimes bars New 802.11n usb adapter, but signal weaker than old 802.11g 54Mbps adapter and the speed is Mbps I have New 802.11n usb adapter, but signal weaker than old 802.11g 54Mbps adapter just bought the AE adapter hoping it would provide a better signal than my very old Belkin adapter which is g - Mbps When I use the old belkin adapter the signal strength is at bars and is is nearly walways at Mbps Does anyone know why the signal strength and Mbps is so low on the Cisco AE Points to note I use WPA -personal AES encryption on Windows vista operating system The channel is on Auto I've changed the channels from to and still it doesn't change the Mbps much and is always below Mbps I've changed the signal for around from using g only to n only and b g n and still nothing improves Infact the g only is the best channel The only time the connection goes to a high level of Mbps is when I change the changing settings to 'n only' and whilst it is saving and the screen loads for a split second goes to Mbps and has bars signal strength but when everything is loaded saved it drops to either Mbps or Mbps and it moves to or bars signal strength Is the Cisco Linksys AE adapter a good one to use with the HG router or should I use another usb adapter instead Does anyone know how to get the signal higher than Mbps in n mode Many thanks for opinions and help on this Chris

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/301968-new-802-11n-usb-adapter-but-signal-weaker-than-old-802-11g-54mbps-adapter.html
Relevancy 37.41%

Help please I have set up and had dlink configure wireless routerrouter dir 600 they tell me that as my 2 data phones connect fine. To the wireless connection there is a problem with my computer.
They talked me through configuration but it wont connect to the internet browser. Yet it works fine on 2 othercomputers (2 data phones) what is wrong so frustrated when connecting to internet it still only shows broadband connection to connect to im completely lost they tested all the ping stuff and configured static ip address please help driving me crazy nz

A:another wireless question

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/another-wireless-question.1012751/
Relevancy 37.41%

This may be a dumb question.Please bear with me.

I was wondering if desktop computers could be made wireless?

The only reason I have a phone line is for my internet.Otherwise I use a cell phone.If I could make my desktop wireless I could turn my phone line off and save about $35 plus a month.

Thanks,
Beverly

Relevancy 37.41%

my friend next door recently asked me to check his laptop for viruses and clean it up for him. He has no internet so I would need to hook him up to my wireless network in my apartment to update his software and clean up his computer. my question is, if his laptop is infected will it affect my laptop if its on the same network?

he would just be picking up my signal which is also how i connect.

Relevancy 37.41%

I realised that no matter what ssid and channel you set on the AP.

Anyone with a wireless adaptor can just scan it and get tap into the internet bandwith... any solution/s to this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-question.157954/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi,
You guys have been very helpful in the past, hope you can do it again!

At home we have a network of 3 computers attached via a wired switch. I have recently bought a Centrino laptop and would like to also set up a wirefree system. Is there any kit available which i could just plug in to an available socket on the switch or would I have to do something completely different? I'm afraid this is an area which is very new to me, and I'm by no means a networking wiz at the best of times!

Any help greatly appreciated.
--
Monster

Relevancy 37.41%

I currently have the 1.1 usb intefaces in my desktpop computer that I am using wireless with a Linksys wireless usb plugin adapter. If I put in a 2.0 usb card, will that maybe speed up my wireless data transmission sending/receiving? Thanks for your answers.

Relevancy 37.41%

I was wondering I currently live in an apartment that has two computers in it one belongs to me the other my roommate I have a family member who lives in the same apartment complex but not Wireless question the same unit She has a wireless network Both computers are capable of picking up wireless signals Wireless question so we just use her network Problem is my roommate s computer is the only one that actually picks up on her signal Mine doesn t Either it s too far away or I don t have a good enough wireless connector It s a linksys wsub something or other So rather than buy a new one I was wondering if it s possible to set up a network on my roommate s computer using a wireless connection as opposed to a modem or cable connection I guess what I m asking is if a computer can pick up on a signal and then send that signal out again I already have a Neatgear router from a while ago but I wouldn t know how to go about setting it up without a modem If that makes any since I d appreciate the help It gets annoying not being able to use my computer for the internet when ever I want Especially since our schedules are different Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Wireless question

I'd suggest speaking to the family member and having them juice the signal from the router.
Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit
This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-question.762212/
Relevancy 37.41%

Does windows 7 not allow you to see your "connection status"? (speed,network connection strength,etc) Or am i missing something in the network page?

i donot understand your question
what i think you are asking for is the status of network connection window?
i believe this is what you are looking for?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/9458-wireless-question.html
Relevancy 37.41%

I am setting up an old Compaq iPaq computer for my grandaughter. I have everything working and right now I have it connected to the internet through my DSL ethernet router. When she takes it home she will need to go wireless. They have a wireless modem. What do I need to get in order to get this creature connected? As economically as poss.

Relevancy 37.41%

Hi I have a few questions about the pci wireless device wireless question pci My cousin has a laptop on their house and she can get a wi-fi access free pci wireless question from the neighbor They also has a desktop and paying for a dial-up internet Since they have a free wi-fi on their house I suggest they just buy a pci wireless adapter and install it in the desktop ao they can have free internet and faster The product I m talking about is this http www amazon com exec obidos t encoding UTF amp m ATVPDKIKX DER amp v glance And one more thing Here is the device http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp CatId I know that is built for the purpose of laptop but do you think it will be best if I buy that compare to the pci Which one is better pci wireless or usb wireless for desktop pc And also since they are just gonna use the internet for free will the settings on how to connect the internet same with the laptop Thank so much I prefer the USB thing but I m afraid it might not work in desktop pc Please advise Thanks so much nbsp

A:pci wireless question

jimboy said:

Hi, I have a few questions about the pci wireless device. My cousin has a laptop on their house and she can get a wi-fi access free from the neighbor. They also has a desktop and paying for a dial-up internet. Since they have a free wi-fi on their house, I suggest they just buy a pci wireless adapter and install it in the desktop ao they can have free internet and faster.

The product I'm talking about is this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...43959?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

And one more thing. Here is the device:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3350612&CatId=2691

I know that is built for the purpose of laptop but do you think it will be best if I buy that compare to the pci?

Which one is better pci wireless or usb wireless for desktop pc?

And also, since they are just gonna use the internet for free, will the settings on how to connect the internet same with the laptop?

Thank so much. I prefer the USB thing but I'm afraid it might not work in desktop pc.

Please advise. Thanks so much!! Click to expand...

Since using their neighbor's Internet access is not sanctioned by the ISP, I don't think anybody here is going to help you on this matter. Sorry......

I suggest you read the forum rules.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pci-wireless-question.645509/
Relevancy 37.41%

I have home wireless network using Broadcom 802 11g Network Adapter, have had no trouble for years until now. usually have 3 to 4 notebooks running at once, now when my son logs his notebook on and begins gaming with his friends (up to 25 at a time) the rest of our notebooks will not log on. get the following: "limited or no connectivity" when we do a repair we then get the following error "Problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to computer" "cannot find an ip address"
if my son is not on gaming we can all instantly log on to the home network

looking for a solution

A:wireless question

do you have any firewalls? what games are you playing?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-question.718386/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi guys,

i would to know more about this tecn, i have a linksys WRT54G access point and i would like to upgrade to a new wireless tecn, i heard that the N tecn have a faster trasnfer rate than G and that you also need N adapters for your laptop, pc etc in order to work best and that it is also compatible with B-G, do you have any suggestion for me? shall i change to this new tecn?

thanks

Relevancy 37.41%

Can any one tell me what is U1 and U2 clients in wireless technolgy..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-question.73755/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi

I was thinking of upgrading to wireless,. Want i want to know is how safe it is and also will any wireless cards work with any hub??

The alternative to this is using the hub with erthnet.

Thanxs Baltan

A:A wireless question

No, wireless is not safe. Since you are asking the question, then it will probably be even more insecure.
No, no wireless device can work with a hub. They do work with wireless access points and wireless routers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-wireless-question.62895/
Relevancy 37.41%

My wireless lan has a problem that I cant fix. I can connect to it and all, but I cant Browse the internet.

Relevancy 37.41%

Hi guys Im hoping someone with a little more tech suave and experience might be able to help out here Basically we rent space at an offsite warehouse which currently has AP s in the nth sth east and west locations of the warehouse These are all running with a Wireless Question WEP encrypted Wireless G network The AP s are using channels and I also found that there is a lot of activity on channels and from a number of cordless phones that they use Now the powers that be Wireless Question at my company want to install their own Wireless network put our own routers in the same spots using a Wireless G network the PDT s and wireless printers can only run on G Now Im pretty sure this is a really bad idea I just need some to explain it in a more technical terms for the following reasons There isnt anywhere near enough channels for us to our wireless G network with all the channel activities from their equipment Running the two wireless G network on top of each other would severily cause both networks range speed and client authentication to be me compramised Is this correct Its just plain retarted If someone with more brains than me could explain it in a more technical terms I would surely be greatful Cheers nbsp

A:Wireless Question

I like your explanation personally!

You might show them the picture below of WiFi channel overlap. It should point out the fallacy of too many AP's in a small place.

You could consider 802.11a for the second network, it runs on a totally different frequency spectrum. You can also consider 802.11n, it runs on both of these frequency bands.

The best you can do with the 11 channels available is probably 1, 4, 8, and 11, and make sure that the none of the adjacent channel allocations are next to each other physically.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-question.816793/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi, if your motherboard does not support wifi, then cna you still plug in a network wireless card, and connect to a network?
thanks.

Relevancy 37.41%

Hi All
I have a question, not sure it this is the right forum.
Anyway here is my question, I have fixed wireless and it comes into
my computer via usb port, is there some sort of usb splitter so I can
run both of my computers from the one wireless antennae?
Thanks for any help
Barry

No, you will need a wireless adaptor for each of your computers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-question.370631/
Relevancy 37.41%

Please tell me the best way to connect my pc to a wireless router. i am looking for cheap + quality. please respond with links.

A:wireless question?

Here two lists of choices from NewEgg.
Assuming this is a standard desktop. Youn can use USB or PCI card.

USB adapters:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...s&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

I am using the TrendNetI 424 UB on an old minicase desktop without any problems.
PCI cards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=False&Order=PRICE

I have a full case desktop that uses the TrendNet 423PI 32 bit card without any problems.
If you have a wireless G router, you would want a wireless G adapter.
Wireless N router choose a wireless N adapter.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-question.870219/
Relevancy 37.41%

Why is using the internet from a cell phone so slow compared to WWAN connections? Why don't cell phones use wireless connections like a computer? Will internet speeds likely increase with cell phones in the future? Thanks in advance.

A:Wireless Question

Welcome to TSF.

My guess is that the data bandwidth for the cell phone today can only go as fast as our regular phone lines. Unlike wireless where it's actually getting high speed access (DSL, Cable, T1/T3, etc.).

Not sure if speeds will increase, but with today's technological advances, I'm sure there will be some way to do it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/wireless-question-21465.html
Relevancy 37.41%

I know that there are better resources out there I have read many of them but none of them answer the question that I have My question is more directed to networking in general I am looking at starting a wireless ISP Everything I have read seems to go the big route by focusing on line of sight putting a transmitter on a tower etc If I have to go that route I will but I was thinking that there might be another way You guys are likely better at networking than I am so here goes What if I got a couple of T lines running into my building and I spread access points around the area of coverage From my main Question Wireless ISP switch I require user log in and track client IPs so people aren t just piggy backing on the access points This seems more appealing to me as the town that I have in in mind for this is only about people and not very many square feet Anyhow I m not sure of the feasibility so I thought I d ask those who likely have more experience than I do Carlton nbsp

A:Wireless ISP Question

Well, a couple of T1 lines (3mbit) is not nearly enough to service 4000 people, that's a start.

As far as multiple AP's all around, the infrastructure to support that would most likely be a lot more expensive than the tower I would think.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-isp-question.732701/
Relevancy 37.41%

what is the advange of having this card (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16833156141) that has b/g then this card(http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16833130118) that solely has g (if i have a g router/AP)

A:wireless question

I wouldn't recommend either of those cards personally, but then again, what do I know, I just work with wireless networks every day. I'd recommend something from Linksys, Dlink or Netgear, in that order. I'd also recommend using a USB adapter rather than a PCI card. PCI cards tend to be less effective since the computer case tends to act as a large amount of interference. With a USB adapter, you have the ability to place the adapter a few feet away from the comp and get it in a place where it will get optimal signal. Again, thats just my professional opinion, so take it as you will.

FYI: 802.11g is backward compatible with 802.11b, so any g card should be compatible with a b network, but will run at b speeds(11mbps) Also b cards should connect to g networks, but again, with b speeds.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-question.28628/
Relevancy 37.41%

Can I still make my laptop wireless without a computer/server between the cable modem and laptop? In other words, Modem-router-laptop. Thanks.

Relevancy 37.41%

My sister has a laptop that has wireless web capabilities...(wifi, don't know its terminology)...and she seems to be able to hook up to the net using Windows explorer at the amazing speed of 11mbps. She seems to be leeching off of a server, I told her to quit it. Could she get caught if she uses a traceable email address, and if so, what could the consequences be??? I mean, it's awesome compared to my dial-up, just a concientious-minded honest citizen who drools at 11.......sorry, wrong forum....um...can the card that she's using on her laptop be used on my pc??? HUH???

A:Wireless web question....

What is probably happening is that she is "leeching" off of a neighbor's WiFi network that in unencrypted, and 'broadcasting'. In affect she has found an unofficial Hotspot.

If she was a tried and true Hacker, she might be able to do mischief on the person's system.

There is some question as to the legality of doing this, but since the signals are being Broadcast over the airwaves, it is argue'ably public domain. But like eavesdropping on Cellphone calls.

I think you are in one of those "let your conscience be your guide" situations.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-web-question.315757/
Relevancy 37.41%

I dont really know but if I went camping is there still a way to get on the internet if campgrounds didnt have access.
As job requirement I really have to stay in touch with the company and I really want to go with the kids.

A:Question about the wireless.

What do you mean about Internet connection campgrounds? Do you min that you can still connect to the Internet even if you are away from the campground wherein the Internet connection goes?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-the-wireless.687494/
Relevancy 36.98%

I seem to have forgotten my wireless internet network key. I can get to my screen that shows where it gets entered (but the password comes up as little black dots)
Can I erase this ?? Or even un-secure my wireless connection ? (I don't care if others can connect to the internet using my wireless.)

A:Really quick wireless i-net question

http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/785904-quick-wireless-i-net-question.html

duplicate thread - please only enter once
see my reply here

I have closed this thread

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/really-quick-wireless-i-net-question.785902/
Relevancy 36.98%

I have just set u a wireless connection - linksys broadband router. How do i set a security password ?

Thanks !

A:Wireless network question.

whats the model - you need to set up WPA2 (you may only have WEP) if you have it on your model and supported on the devices you want to connect - should be a setting if you logon to your router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-question.549228/
Relevancy 36.98%

ok. this is gonna get confusing.
computer 1 is downstairs connected to a router via ethernet
computer 2 is upstairs connected to a router via Wireless PCI Card
computer 2 is also running a crossover cable to xbox with Static Settings
the xbox has no internet just FTP access.
how do i get internet on xbox from computer 2 without running wireless from it or ethernet.
i wanna basically leech off of computer 2 via ethernet to xbox.
i also have a hub if needed. i would prefer to use the hub i actually have it hooked up right now. but still no internet access.

A:i got a doosy question about wireless.

use ICS or Bridging - what windows version do you have on computer 2
TURN ON ICS

XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/crawford_02july01.mspx

General
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

VISTA
http://www.windowsreference.com/win...ternet-connection-sharing-ics-setup-in-vista/
Bridging two network connections:
Make sure the secondary connection has DHCP enabled.
Open the Network Connections folder from the Start Menu, Settings.
Select the first connection to be used in the bridge and highlight it by left clicking on it.
Holding the Ctrl key, select the second connection to be used in the bridge by left clicking on it.
Right click on one of the two highlighted connections and select Bridge Connections.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-got-a-doosy-question-about-wireless.965619/
Relevancy 36.98%

Here's the situation - I received a Toshiba Satellite laptop and Linksys Wireless Router for Christmas I set up the router and plugged in my desktop and everything is good to go question Wireless Access When I tried configuring for wireless access so I could surf using my Wireless Access question laptop that's where the problems lie It worked for like a day and then crapped out and hasn't worked since Everything is showing good but I am not able to access the Internet using Internet Explorer I can ping IP addresses using the laptop but cannot get to those corresponding websites Both desktop and laptop have XP Home I don't have any issues when working with the desktop but cannot get things working with the laptop When I run the little diagnostic tool on the laptop it says Unable to renew IP address I think I've narrowed it down to something with the router I can ping the router from the laptop but not the laptop from the router I can also ping the IP for Google from the router but cannot ping any of the network connections set up on this side of the router I am not totally computer illiterate but my networking experience is not too great especially when dealing with wireless networks Any ideas

A:Wireless Access question

Do you have a firewall running on your local pc? Even sp2 firewall?

If you go to a cmd prompt and type ipconfig /all and press enter do you have a gateway, dns server, and ip address?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/9514/wireless-access-question/
Relevancy 36.98%

I am using a Dell True Mobile 2300 to connect to the Internet. I have a wireless U.S. Robotic Adapter and at times whenever I try to connect to the network, it always give me an invalid IP. What does this keep happening? All of my wires are connected correctly in my PC and I'm looking at my Device settings and it works perfectly. Can anyone please help me?

A:Wireless Problem Question

Hi,

It could be an IP conflict. Is you internet setting set to automatically obtain a ip address?

Jay.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/wireless-problem-question-158868.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I bought my neighbor's password from her to share internet but last night It didnt work. I tried to go into properties and I didnt know what to do regarding WPA WPA personal bla bla bla..as soon as I added her network to "networks and connections" (VISTA by the way) her connection wasnt showing up anymore in the available wireless connections. Anyway, do i need any information for my neighbor's router? How should the properties be? I have the password and the name of the router but it disappeared once I added it and how to configure, do I need to...
Thank you for your time and support in this matter,
Al

A:question about wireless router

Sorry, but this is against the terms of service for the ISP, and we don't assist with this kind of issue here at TSG.

Closed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-wireless-router.819332/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi, new to all this wireless connection stuff
Just bought myself a new laptop ( does everything!) when looking for a wireless connection (in my house) I found one. Now I know this is something to do with my neighbour (as it was called by her name!) I clicked on Connect
and this was connected. My question is When I connection what exactually does this allow/give me? also when I connected can my neighbour (in this instance) see me/some attempt to connect?? kinda interested, like I said new to all this wireless stuff!?

A:wireless connection question?

Connecting to an available network gives you access to the network resources. So if that network has an Internet connection, you have access to that. And yes, if they look they would be able to see the connection attempt.

Your neighbor really needs to secure their wireless network, perhaps they are new to it also and don't know other homes are within the range of their device.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-connection-question.409628/
Relevancy 36.98%

I live in a place where i piggyback off my parents connection i don't use any routers I just use Wireless Computer works great the connection has use no with question Wireless routers been very reliable and fast and i have a Asus Win SP bit computer that has had Kaspersky anti virus in the past but i have been using AVast free for the last few weeks I also run Spywareblaster and enable Wireless use with no routers question all protection because techs have told me it's good for prevention I also have Super anti spyware and Malwarebytes with only one having realtime protection I run scans with both daily and have not had any issues with Malware in over a year When i did get a Trojan or two it was because of my downloading something infected in the past at least i think that's where it came from I wan't to know since i have no real protection behind a routers Firewall and only have Windows firewall incoming protection what else would you recommened Oh i never perform financial stuff on my computer and i am the only user so i am not worried about anything being seen by others Thanks and any info is much appreciated

A:Wireless use with no routers question

Are you behind a NAT device?
Network Address Translation

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/283146-wireless-use-no-routers-question.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I'm at a resort that I do some website work for. I noticed that my laptop found a connection. They have a quest dsl modem that goes to a switch that also has servers connected that run a resort & golf course. So I suppose the dsl modem was installed with default settings that allow anyone to get wireless internet access. Its actually only a short range as the modem is in a room downstairs.

They kind of like the fact that guests sitting in the lobby can get internet access but should that be allowed? Or do I need to change anything to make it safer so no one can get into things they shouldn't?

thanks
-GB

Relevancy 36.98%

I just moved into a new place and got hooked up on a 2wire wireless USB adapter to another computer that is using SBC DSL. I have never used DSL before, I am used to having a cable connection. I got everything working fine, but when I look at my connection activity I am receiving what I consider massive amounts of bytes (I have been connected for 22 minutes and have received 12,773,208 bytes from just browsing a couple of random sites and have only sent 1,561,180) Is this normal? And what happens when say the amount of received bytes gets much, much larger?

A:Question about wireless connection

As thats only 12MB I wouldn't be that worried.... Are you sure these 2 sites don't have larger content?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-wireless-connection.484437/
Relevancy 36.98%

What's a good wireless router that doesn't cost too much?

Relevancy 36.98%

I have to move my computer so I'll need to go wireless.

Are those Wireless USB Adapters as fast as a PCI Card?

Seems so easy to install, and if it's just as good, why not?

My PC will be 6 feet from the router, but the signal will have to go through a 4-foot wall. (standard residential wall, drywall and wood 2x4's)

A:USB Wireless Adapter Question

6 feet and wire is out of the question?

Anyways, I think that as long as the adapter is a B or G, the speeds will be the same with a PCI or USB adapter.

My daughter has a linksys USB adapter (wireless B) and she has no problems connecting to the network. I did have to change from WEP to WPA though as wep was given me intermitent connections.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/231739-usb-wireless-adapter-question.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I just got a new laptop it's centrino mobile technology. But I have it using a LAN connection.

My question is if I go say Starbuck cafe should I disable the LAN connection and would the Wireless connection would automatically connect to the wireless router in the cafe? Or are there some things I would have to do the laptop to get it to work wireless?

If you have any helpfull links that will be great.

Relevancy 36.98%

HP desktop
Windows XP

I installed a Dynex USB wireless reciever to my desktop. Now, The thing lags....ever since i switched from the ethernet cabel to wireless....

My question is...do i need a better router (2wire) or does my USB dynex suck?
While im connected to the internet via usb dynex the taskbar states that im connected at 24 Mbs....or somthing the like. While connected via ethernet the taskbar states that im connected at 100MBs or sumthn the like.
So...
If the cover of the dynex box is printed, "125mbs max transfer" then why does the desktop taskbar say that im connected at 24Mbs? Does this mean i need a better router?

A:Solved: USB Wireless Question

First off, dissimilar brands will only connect at the standard maximum, probably 54mbit since that's the 2WIRE 802.11g maximum speed. Those "turbo" speeds are only with the same brand hardware, both with the same features.

As far as the 24mbit connection, wireless is subject to a wide array of issues that will reduce the speed. If you want performance, connect the cable.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-usb-wireless-question.681874/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hello I posted this in the Networking section but haven't had a response Any help would be great I have a brother who is trying to access his Connection question Wireless landlords internet connection with permission of course He installed a wireless Linksys router in her upstairs part of the house She has a USB connection from the back of modem Wireless Connection question to her computer My brother ran an Ethernet cable from back of modem to the wireless router In my brothers apt downstairs he bought a USB wireless Ethernet connector When he ran the CD setup on the landlords computer it said it had to update Windows I am assuming it is running Win or maybe even Win Can my brother do anything from his end to try and get a connection seeing how everything is in place the router and wireless USB connector on his computer the landlord is never home and he has a hard time catching her to make corrections Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated It is an Optimum cable connection coming into the house if it maters

A:Wireless Connection question

Your fist post on this issue is in the best place tpm.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/241873/wireless-connection-question/
Relevancy 36.98%

I have two Wireless G PCI network card...One made by Zyxel and the other Tp-Link....connecting to a Linksys router, the driver/software from both Zyxel and TP-link won't install but Windows 7 id them as Realtek Wireless G adaptor during installation and has driver for them...it works.

My question is after turning on Computers, Windows will take like 2-5 minutes before it connect to my Router...is there a way to speed this up?

When I had XP with either Zyxel or TP-Link software, they connect to my router right after boot up....too bad the software don't support Windows 7.

A:Wireless G connection question.

Yes, there is a way. Assign a static ip address to the network adapter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/41261-wireless-g-connection-question.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I know this may sound very stupid, but are the packets sent/recieved by my computers wireless meant to keep increasing? By which i mean that they start off at a couple hundred or so and within about 30minutes or so im pushing a 100,000 or more?!?!

I was just wondering if this is normal and if not has anyone got any ideas what the hell is going down?!

Im running windows xp home sp2 and my wireless card is a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG

Thanks loads

Relevancy 36.98%

Okay what does it mean when the little wireless computer in the bottom right screen turns of its monitor and turns it on basically going from blue to black? and it keeps doing that.

Relevancy 36.98%

Hello Everyone,

For christmas my mom was thinking about getting a new 2.4 Ghz cordless phone. Our wireless network adapters are "Linksys Wireless-B 2.4 Ghz". Since there both 2.4 GHz, would the cordless phone interfere with our network?

Relevancy 36.98%

So my brother gets home and tells me his friend told him to "Never turn off the router". This included times that we don't use it. I've turned it off with my modem as well, in order to save energy and the such. We encountered a problem a day ago where the wireless connection would not appear, so we had to reset the modem and reinstall, resulting in everything going fine. I turned it off after fixing it and turned it on today. It worked find.

Despite the advice, I personally would like to turn it off when not using it, but I would like to get a response from the Tech Intellects on the forums.

Should I keep the router running all the time and never turn it off, or dismiss the what seems to be silly advice.

Thanks!

A:Wireless Modem Question.

Personally, I'm a leave it on all the time man. The modem and router consume very little energy, the big energy users are your computers and monitors.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-modem-question.898117/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hello All

I just got the D-Link WBR 1310 wireless router.

When I go into the router to set a wireless password, I choose WEP password (it says basic beside it), then it gives me 2 options:

open or shared key - I assume shared key is what I want (for multiple wireless cards to attach to wireless network with password). Then I can choose either a 64 or 128 bit Hex or ASCII Password.

Here enlies the problem: I cannot connect wirelessly when there is a password (both 64, 128 Hex or ASCII), but when I remove the password I am fine.

Sorry, the problem isn't that I can't connect - it connects and says i'm connected, but when I open my safari it says "you are not connected to the internet".

I am using a Macbook Pro, if that makes any difference.

Any help AT ALL woudl be greatly appreciated

A:Wireless Router Question

If your computer supports WPA, quit messing around with the less secure WEP.

With WEP stay away from the ASCII password that gets translated to a key; different manufacturer's sometimes translate differently. You're sure that you didn't mistype the 64- or 128-bit hex key in the Mac?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-router-question.492760/
Relevancy 36.98%

I have my router on the main level of my house and my bedroom bridge question Wireless is in my basement Normally my laptop has - bars of strength but if I'm lucky it will jump up for some reason I have no problem with this just some FYI for you Wireless bridge question guys Problem Ps keeps timing out obtaining IP address I can get it to work by plugging it into LAN then changing the settings back to WIFI When I put my Ps bck in my room it will only maintain a connection for a few days then I need to repeat the process Connection percentage is between - Problem My desktop will be moved to my basement as soon as I Wireless bridge question get it WIFI compatible Running a cable is out of the question I just want something stable and that will support both my Ps and Desktop My router isn't the best so theoretically I should just replace it but I'm not sure if that would solve the signal stability issue with my Ps and a new router won't help with putting my desktop downstairs Newegg com - D-Link DAP- Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge amp Access Point - Wireless AP Bridges Does this look like the best solution to my problem Could I buy another router to use to just receive a wireless signal I think that this would receive better then my Ps Thanks in advance Sorry for the rambling it's who I am get used to it

A:Wireless bridge question

Quote: Originally Posted by koch1ar

I have my router on the main level of my house and my bedroom is in my basement. Normally my laptop has 2-3bars of strength but if I'm lucky it will jump up for some reason. I have no problem with this, just some FYI for you guys.

Problem 1: Ps3 keeps timing out obtaining IP address. I can get it to work by plugging it into LAN then changing the settings back to WIFI. When I put my Ps3 bck in my room it will only maintain a connection for a few days then I need to repeat the process. Connection percentage is between 40%-70%.

Problem 2: My desktop will be moved to my basement as soon as I get it WIFI compatible.

Running a cable is out of the question. I just want something stable and that will support both my Ps3 and Desktop. My router isn't the best so theoretically I should just replace it, but I'm not sure if that would solve the signal/stability issue with my Ps3 and a new router won't help with putting my desktop downstairs.
Newegg.com - D-Link DAP-1522 Xtreme N Duo Wireless Bridge/Access Point - Wireless AP / Bridges Does this look like the best solution to my problem? Could I buy another router to use to just receive a wireless signal? I think that this would receive better then my Ps3

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the rambling, it's who I am, get used to it

Hi and welcome

that wasnt even close to rambling.

there are a few options. One is a reepeater (like a router but boosts the signal). If you are going to move the desktop then the "N" router should give some additonal strength and stabiliy over the a,b,g, router you now have.

The other thing I am wondering about is are you using homegroup for networking?

Thanks

Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/43550-wireless-bridge-question.html
Relevancy 36.98%

Well i just got comcast wireless for a while because I had a house fire and needed something for my laptop. Anyhow they came and set up the modem and all that. They did not give me the password to the modem/router saying it wasn't allowed. I do not think it is right that I am not able to log into the router to open up ports or the dmz for faster downloads.

Anyhow I noticed the username to the router was comcast, but the password was 4-5 characters long. Anyone know what the password is?

Relevancy 36.98%

I have a secure network in the office that is WPA2. I have had no problems with my newer computers and windows 7. I just tried to connect a computer with XP and the issue I am having is there is no choice in the drop down menu for WPA2, only WEP-PSK. When I enter the code it won't connect and when I go back there are only 8 characters in the box and I had put in 12. Is this an XP issue or the wireless card?

A:Wireless card, XP question

Is it built-in wireless or an aftermarket network card?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-card-xp-question.175383/
Relevancy 36.98%

I have a wireless-g network card but our house has a wireless-b router. Is this a problem? It's working right now, but the speed is really bad (the signal strength goes from no signal to very low). My laptop with a b/g card works fine down here.

If the b/g thing isn't the problem, the only other thing I can think of is this card has a very poor strength. It's a Netgear WG311 v3, anyone know if this is a bad card?

Cheers,
Chris

A:Wireless router question

Flea said:

I have a wireless-g network card but our house has a wireless-b router. Is this a problem? It's working right now, but the speed is really bad (the signal strength goes from no signal to very low). My laptop with a b/g card works fine down here.

If the b/g thing isn't the problem, the only other thing I can think of is this card has a very poor strength. It's a Netgear WG311 v3, anyone know if this is a bad card?

Cheers,
ChrisClick to expand...

It shouldn't be a problem. The signal strenghth comes from the router. You may want to try moving your PC around a bit to find the best signal strength in case there are some walls/floors interfering.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-router-question.498503/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi Guys,
I have a linksys Wireless-n router WRT300N.
I am using a sify connection with LAN. A friend form my LAN and i use software called RADMIN for remote administration.
The day i started using my Wireless router, he is not able to log into my PC but i am able to log into his PC.
I have ip address of 10.10.127.125 and his ip address is 10.10.127.145
When connected with router my PC gets an Ip address of 192.168.1.100.
following are the settings on my router.

I tried to disable all the security options but it was of no use.
The default port for RADMIN is 4899 TCP. Plz help!!

A:Wireless Network Question!

You need to open ports for that Remote Admin to work correctly. It should tell you which ports. I don't use that software anymore, since you got it free with XP Pro Remote Desktop works much better..

Btw nice Pictures, more users should follow your lead

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-network-question.71491/
Relevancy 36.98%

I have a wireless linkeys and I am pretty sure the neighbor kid stole my son's I Pod touch. I am also pretty sure he is using MY wireless network.
I have tried to get into the wireless to see, but it will not continue when I enter the "admin." password. Is there any way I can get into the IPOD and see what the serial number is, by going through my network? This is like being robbed twice!

Relevancy 36.98%

I have an extra router and am going to hook up a friends house with it. She has a laptop and a desktop. She is going to buy the wireless card for the desktop.

What I need to know is, is there a disk that came with my router that I need to install on her computer? I can't find it, it's probably still packed somewhere.

I am going to hook up the router to her modem that she got from Embark. Her laptop should pick up the signal, so I just need to set up the desktop eventually.

Another question is, I need to know how you find the IP address to go in and make the network secure.

Relevancy 36.98%

I think this is my MS keyboard https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/wireless-desktop-3000
& if so, which is the f8 key? so if I need to get to the safe mode, how? I do have a USB keyboard if need be but................

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ms-wireless-keyboard-question.218465/
Relevancy 36.98%

My wife just bought me a laptop so that i can surf the internet while i'm in the kitchen talking to her. Were both not very good with computers but i think we managed to hook everything up right with our router. My internet still works on my desktop and my laptop connects aswell. the little computer icon says signal strength very good. The other little computer icon has an X over it. If i move the cursor over it, it says local area connection, a network cable is unplugged. Is this normal?? I know how to disable it. should i??

A:simple wireless question

That message is normal if your ethernet connection is enabled but is not connected to something. On my laptop I keep that connection disabled since I seldom use the ethernet. The trick then is to remember to enable it soon after connecting via wire.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/simple-wireless-question.535611/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hello...i have a Netgear wgr614 v5. My dad has it set up so that the internet connection is disabled after 1am...how do i extend it?

thanks.

Relevancy 36.98%

Can a wireless router be added to an existing network wirelessly. In other words without connecting the two routers with a cat5

A:Wireless router question

No, but a wireless bridge or an access point can. Some routers can be configured in bridge or AP mode, but most can't.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-router-question.555580/
Relevancy 36.98%

I'm trying to bring my wireless out to the garage which is a metal building

the signal is strong outside it, but inside you get no signal

I've seen booster antenaas but do those only transmit? I have a WRT54G

A:wireless antenna question

You don't need a booster; you need a hole in the metal. An antenna in front of a window would probably do; else figure out a way to mount an antenna outside.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-antenna-question.917005/
Relevancy 36.98%

I have a siemens gigaset se 587 modem that my internet service provider set up for me to connect to my dsl and i can connect wirelessly to it, but I have been thinking about buying a wireless router so maybe I can have a stronger signal. I dont know much about routers, but was wondering what you guys use and whats a good router to consider buying? This is something I want to know how to do is set up a wireless router, so in a way this would be like a project for me. Any advice i would appreciate. Thanks.

A:Wireless Router Question?

Since you already have a working router, why not just add a hi-gain antenna or booster to it?
Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-router-question.897197/
Relevancy 36.98%

Hi guys I want to set-up a wireless network at home sounds easy but let me explain what i plan to do and see if it s possible Desktop PC Desktop with the following configuration - P GC-MX motherboard with on-board Atheros LAN Intel Dual core ghz processor gb Ram Windows XP Pro SP I want to set up a wireless network from Desktop to Networking Wireless Question connect to another Wifi AP in a different part of the house Desktop Wireless Networking Question so cables are out of the question I have x Comtrend CT wireless routers so i can wire connect one of them to the on-board LAN of desktop I have checked online and can bridge this router to recieve and transmit signals On desktop i Wireless Networking Question already have Wireless Networking Question the nd router configured for the internet connection coming in and transmitting the wireless signal The WIFI is working fine at the moment as i can connect to the AP of the router on desktop through my Nokia phone so the connection is there What i need to know do is - If i set up the wireless router in bridge mode on desktop will it recieve the signal automatically and detect the router on desktop from the wireless AP As i don t have an onboard wireles ethernet card on either PC i don t have the option in network connections in XP to scan for wireless networks The icon isn t there and i assume this is because there is no wireless ethernet card installed If i arrange the network as described above will desktop recognise that there is a wireless connection and give me the option to scan and connect to the router on desktop If not how do i enable XP to be able to scan and search for wireless networks through the onboard LAN of desktop connected to the wireless bridged router Is there any software that would help me achieve this or should it be packaged on the XP installation CD I m looking at all options and sugestions the other one i had considered being to buy a USB WIFI stick for desktop but with the equipment i have i wanted to check if it s possible to do it the way above first or is the time and hassle not worth it Thanks in advance Richard nbsp

Relevancy 36.98%

I want to expand a wireless network by putting something in between the router and the computer. That is what a repeater is, right? I want something that I can just plug in the wall and stick it in a corner (not connected to a computer or something) and the router will send its signal to the repeater and the repeater will bounce it towards my computer.

Does something like that exist? I searched for Wireless Repeater and I found very few results.

An access point isn't a repeater right? Thats what comes up though when I search for it. I saw one thing that said USB. USB would mean that it has to connect to a computer. I want something that just plugs in the wall. I don't know.