Windows Support Forum

Resolved: Network Places - Can't see one of the computers on My Network

Q: Resolved: Network Places - Can't see one of the computers on My Network

I ran through the Network Wizard again, and put in the address of my desktop computer and voila!, the icon came back. I'm not a tech wizard by any means, and didn't know what the address of my desktop computer looked like, but I found some hints online and tried them. Thanks for the help guys.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Resolved: Network Places - Can't see one of the computers on My Network

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Resolved: Network Places - Can't see one of the computers on My Network

No need to post a new thread to tell us this, just respond in the original thread. Also, you can mark the thread solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.

Here's your original thread: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/667123-network-places-can-t-see.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resolved-network-places-cant-see-one-of-the-computers-on-my-network.667264/
Relevancy 98.9%

Was working about a week ago, now "my network places" is blank. I can ping all other netwrk computers by ip and name. I ran network setup, no change. Work group is the same. Tried turning off Windows firewall, no change. Also using MSE. Nothing has changed as far as I know on this computer.

Thanks for the help.

Relevancy 98.04%

I am running a peer-to-peer LAN Vanish from Wizard" Network Install Network Using Places Printer Computers My "HP of Win XP Pro SP boxes Over of them in a particular workgroup All static IP addresses All machines have File and Print Sharing set up and Windows Firewall turned off I have used quot HP Install Network Printer Wizard quot to install a couple of HP s Computers Using "HP Install Network Printer Wizard" Vanish from My Network Places and Computers Using "HP Install Network Printer Wizard" Vanish from My Network Places a HP d printer each of which have JetDirect N cards installed But my problem isn t with the installation and use of the printers In fact this software works fine and everyone prints happily Here s the catch all machines using HP Install Network Printer Wizard mysteriously disappear from My Network Places no matter what machine I use to look at My Network Places after minutes If I reboot one of them it s back for about minutes then gone Now they re pingable and in fact you can find them using the Search button But they re not visible and to my staff this is a major obstacle I have boxes without the HP wizard and they re visible on My Network Places Using a couple different boxes as guinea pigs I can affirm that deleting the printers uninstalling HP Install Network Printer Wizard and eliminating references to it in the registry does not reverse the situation and fix the problem Ugh I can also affirm that disabling our Kaspersky Anti-Virus does not solve the quot vanishing quot problem A call to HP Support and subsequent discussion with their reps yielded no help although they did get a good chuckle out of it nbsp

A:Computers Using "HP Install Network Printer Wizard" Vanish from My Network Places

OK there is a catch here you know how the printers after 20 min of no using them is going in stand by mode ... for some reason the network card is going in standby mode for the printer also if you try to print over the network you gonna see that the printer is going back visible.
Solution: There was a option in Network Monitor Devices for don't going on that "standby mode" check and see if this will help you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computers-using-hp-install-network-printer-wizard-vanish-from-my-network-places.596562/
Relevancy 98.04%

Running Windows XP Home Service Pack It seems that what I m trying to do should be simple Yet I ve literally been trying to do it for over a year I stumbled upon this forum so maybe you can make my dreams come true and actually give me a shared network angels singing Keep refusing Home Network computers Windows show Places" network to XP "My in mind I once Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers had a shared network and everything was fine Then one day it mysteriously stopped and hasn t run since even after hundreds literally of attempts to set it up again For the moment all I want to do is have my computer we ll call this computer quot Sony Laptop quot appear in its own quot My Network Places quot window - not concerned with Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers the other networked computer at the moment I have tried quot Set up a home or small office network quot and quot set up a wireless network for a home or small office quot dozens of times chosen every single combination possible completed them restarted but quot Sony Laptop quot still never appears in quot My Network Places quot I cannot for the life of me understand it If that s all the info you need please respond If you want more observations read below FRY S DESKTOP Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers is connected to BELKIN ROUTER via ethernet SONY LAPTOP is connected to BELKIN ROUTER via wireless -- ethernet ----- FRY S DESKTOP BELKIN ROUTER --wireless -------SONY LAPTOP I can receive wireless internet with the SONY LAPTOP through the BELKIN ROUTER I can ping FRY S DESKTOP from SONY LAPTOP I cannot ping SONY LAPTOP from FRY S DESKTOP I tried pinging SONY LAPTOP through both the wireless IP address and a connected ethernet cable Local Area Connection IP address connected through the BELKIN ROUTER Neither worked Some things I ve encountered When I explore the network gt My Network Places gt Entire Network gt Microsoft Windows Network I get a funny message quot Unable to Browse the Network - The Network is not present or not started - For more information click Help quot Of course in classic Windows style when I click quot Help quot the window hangs and never goes anywhere kind of ironic - don t you think It s called quot Windows quot and can t function within a window I was told by some others that I should check the quot Services quot and more specifically Workstation Server TCP IP Netbios helper Computer Browser Now of those four two of them had not been started Workstation and Computer Browser I tried starting these double click them and up will pop a window that allows you to start but each of them came up with an error message Here are those two error messages Computer Browser quot Could not start the Computer Browser service on Local computer Error The dependency service or group failed to start quot Workstation quot Could not start the Workstation Service on Local Computer Error The specified module could not be found quot If anybody knows anything about these errors and how to fix them let mek now So that s it That s my experience so far As you can see I m neck deep in it and nothing would make me happier than finally figuring it out after months Chris nbsp

A:Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers

You need to look at the dependency list for each service. In the case of Computer Browser, it's Workstation and Server.

Since Workstation is failing, that's probably the place to start.

Do you have WKSSVC.DLL in C:\Windows\system32? That's the workstation service, and it appears to be the missing module. I'd first try copying that from the installation disk, if it's missing, and then register it too by:

Start, Run, regsvr32 wkssvc.dll

If you can't find the DLL, you can run sfc /scannow to restore missing files.

A shortcut may be to download the file from DLL Dump and register it as described above.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-home-my-network-places-refusing-to-show-network-computers.536504/
Relevancy 97.18%

We have a network setup here that Network in Places other Can't see computers My connects six computers I believe Everything was working great until an issue caused us to reformat the C drive Can't see other computers in My Network Places and to reinstall Windows XP Pro on the server computer After installing everything back onto the Can't see other computers in My Network Places computer we decided it was time to get it back onto the network However we can t seem to be able to do that I ve been reading various sites for the past two days and trying everything I ve seen recommended Nothing seems to work The other computers can all see each other but they cannot see this computer nor can this computer see any of them This computer can see itself Things to note - Windows Firewall is disabled - I can ping the other computers IP addresses but I cannot ping their names - I cannot connect to any of the computers using quot lt IP Address quot or quot lt Computer Name gt quot - The server computer was using a static IP before the reformat when everything was working and is using a static IP now as well - Enable NetBIOS over TCP IP is on now as well I don t think it was turned on before the reformat It is not turned on on any of the other computers though I have tried enabling it on one of the computers to see if it would work quot ipconfig all quot says it is Disabled - Here is a copy amp paste of quot ipconfig all quot It also says DHCP is disabled though I m not sure if that has any relevance I m not very good with networking stuff I m stumped nbsp

Relevancy 97.18%

Hi,

I have a simple lan setup (peer to peer) connected through a switch on windows2000 OS. However, at times i am unable to view all the computers through "my network places" but can map some of them. I have chosen "my company uses a network without a domain" for all the computers from the network identification wizard. Could you pls suggest a proper way of configuration for this setup.

Thanks
Donny

Relevancy 97.18%

When I open 'My Network Places' then, 'Entire Network' then, 'WORKGROUP'. My computer, nor the other computer that is on the wireless network is not there. I used to be able to see my computer, and the other pc in that folder, but now they arent there? How can I make them show up again?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-see-computers-in-network-places.309329/
Relevancy 97.18%

Computers C Laptop C and C are desktops all with Windows My Computers not Network Can see Places other in XP Pro with SP all hardwired to a DIR- Router C and C can access shared Folders on C C can see C but cannot open C in My network Places - MSHOME and C can see C but same problem cannot Can not see other Computers in My Network Places open C C cannot see any other computers in MSHOME C and C can see and open shared folders on C All computers are in the same Network MSHOME and all users with corresponding passwords are administrators on all computers All computers can access the Internet without problems C can ping C but not C C and C can not ping either of the other computers but all can ping as well as the default Gateway and external web addresses I have rebooted all computers several times as well as ensuring Antivirus and software Firewalls are temporarily turned off I have also tried resetting the Router The inability to ping other computers from each other but being able to Share filders on C is a mystery to me Any suggestions or Advice would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 95.89%

Hi all..

Good morning..

here i hav a small problem..

i have a network printer connected to an XP system..
the printer software is installed only in this system and was used by all the users in the network..

it was working fine for last 4 months..

now suddenly its stops working..

when i checked the network.. i cant see this XP computer frm other computers..

now when i searched for other computers from this XP computer in My Network Places, nothing is visible other than current system..

but when i tried to ping other computers, its working..
also when i run \\computername from run also working..
when i typed the command net view in cmd, it shows only the current system.

pls help me to solve this..

thanks in advance..

A:Cannot view computers in My Network Places

Hello,

Do you know when this problem occured? You could try using System Restore to try restoring to a date before the problem occured..

Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore

Regards,
George

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-view-computers-in-my-network-places-518239.html
Relevancy 95.89%

Can anyone help me Please I had try everything I can but still Can't view My computers Places others in Network not working - Windows Firewall is disabled - I can ping the other computers IP addresses but I Can't view others computers in My Network Places cannot ping their names - Enable NetBIOS over TCP IP is on now as well - Reset TCP IP stack to installation defaults type netsh int ip reset reset log - Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults type netsh winsock reset catalog Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Administrator gt NBTSTAT -n Local Area Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id No names in cache Wireless Network Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- HP lt gt UNIQUE Registered Can't view others computers in My Network Places HP lt gt UNIQUE Registered WORKGROUP lt gt GROUP Registered WORKGROUP lt E gt GROUP Registered WORKGROUP lt D gt UNIQUE Registered MSBROWSE lt gt GROUP Registered HP lt gt UNIQUE Registered ADMINISTRATOR lt gt UNIQUE Registered C Documents and Settings Administrator gt IPCONFIG ALL Windows IP Configuration Host Name HP Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address C- - Can't view others computers in My Network Places D- E-EB- Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description USB Wireless LAN Card Physical Address C - A- -CA-B - Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Wednesday November AM Lease Expires Thursday December AM nbsp

Relevancy 95.89%

I am running Windows XP and I can access the Internet from my wireless computer through my home network. I can print from my wireless computer to the printer hooked up to my main desktop computer. From my main desktop computer I can see both that computer and my laptop in My Network Places...BUT...I can't see my desktop computer from my laptop when I access My Network Places. I really need to transfer files back and forth between these computers. I used to see both computers from my wireless and the transfer of files was effortless. Suddenly the icon went away in My Network Places. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Relevancy 95.03%

We have 4 desktop systems namely A, B, C & D under work group by name "MSHOME". While we could access three systems namely A,B & C thro network places, last system D could not be accessed from all the three namely A, B & C. Similarly from system "D" we could not access other systems A,B & C. While viewing work group computers option, it is showing all 4 systems. Can you help me out

A:workgroup computers not showing in network places.

Assuming that you have enabled file and printer sharing on "D" the problem is likely a firewall on "D" blocking the desired access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-computers-not-showing-in-network-places.1163873/
Relevancy 95.03%

I Network computers missing Places Domain am experiencing a problem that I am not sure what is going on Our office is on a server enterprise edition SP network with client computers Network Places Domain computers missing both bit and bit that are running XP Pro All computers are on the same domain In the past each client could go to My Network Places -- gt Entire Network -- gt Microsoft Windows Network -- gt lt domain name gt and from here see a list of all the clients on the network However recently our ability to do this is varying Some computers now do not see any of the other computers while Network Places Domain computers missing at least one computer has no problem seeing the others And then there is one computer that varies Last Friday it could not see the other computers No work was done on the computer over the weekend On Monday morning it was able to see the computers But when the window was closed and an Network Places Domain computers missing attempt to go back to the list was made the list was gone Computer Browsing and TCP IP NetBIOS Helper services are running and in the automatic state I am able to ping all the computers from any client Further I can still create shortcuts to any of those computers It is not a critical issue but one of convience If anyone knows of a solution or a previous post that addresses this issue I would appreciate it Thanks in advance Z nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-places-domain-computers-missing.713534/
Relevancy 95.03%

Did a quick search but could not find an answer...
Earlier this week, my wife found four unknown computers in the local network located in my network places.
We have a broadband internet connection but there is no router and there should not be any other computers linked to mine. The computers we found are all labeled "ShareDocs" and the a computer name like "blank family computer". My questions are...

How did this happen (my broadband company or possibly a file sharing program?)
How much risk am i at
How do i stop this and prevent this from happening again.

I'm running XP home w/ SP 2. I am using zonealarm for a firewall and have very strict settings.

Thanks for taking a look,
Jeremy

A:Found Unknown Computers In My Network Places

Hi lenrokWe have a broadband internet connection but there is no router How are you connecting?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/77584/found-unknown-computers-in-my-network-places/
Relevancy 87.29%

i have 150 or so computers at my school that i am tech at. some are getting on the internet some are not. it seemed as though the ones with sp2 weren't getting on and the one's without sp2 were but i found out that wasn't the case. however, one with sp2 that i checked the ip address on is way off. we have a range for workstation computers and this ip was way off. any ideas how i can fix this? i have not restarted the server. should i? please help me.

A:[resolved] computers not getting on network

i restarted the server and that didn't take care of the problem. now when i release the weird ip on the one computer it won't renew.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resolved-computers-not-getting-on-network-56378.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi peeps here s a seemingly unsolvable problem I have I want to network my two PCs An Acer Vista Laptop and my old HP XP Desktop so that I can play network games Operation Flashpoint So I connect them both wirelessly to the Places My show problem: router XP PC Network other won't Wireless Network or in the router a cheap SWEEX one Now when Iook on my Vista Laptop s Wireless Network problem: My XP won't show the router or other PC in Network Places Network place I can see Wireless Network problem: My XP won't show the router or other PC in Network Places the Laptop I m using the router and can access it s page and everything but I can t see my XP desktop from here And when I go into the Desktop s network places I can t see the router or either of the computers I m using And I assume that this network problem is why I can t see a server in my game Now I understand that file and printer sharing is turned the firewall is definately turned off and I think the appropriate services are turned on well to make sure I turned every single service on There must be some more complex reason why my XP hates to network Although I am by no means a noob to general computing I am reasonably new to networking Can you clever lot help me nbsp

A:Wireless Network problem: My XP won't show the router or other PC in Network Places

I am surprised that the old XP desktiop has wireless functionality. Did you add wireless to it, recently? If so, is it shown as operating correctly in Device Manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-network-problem-my-xp-wont-show-the-router-or-other-pc-in-network-places.114583/
Relevancy 81.7%

I have several colleagues who have had their Network Places screwed up. When they click on one, they are taken to a folder with a desktop.ini file and "target" folder. Clicking on the target folder takes them to the network place they should have gone to in the first place. Something has changed in Win XP (SP 2) that takes these users to this "middle man" location instead of directly to the network places they have created. Anyone know what causes it? Anyone know how to fix it (without recreating all of their network places)?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-go-to-shortcut-before-going-to-actual-network-location.635119/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hello.

I have an xp 2400 using xp with a D-link DGL 4300 wireless router connecting wirelessly to a Thinkpad T42 (2 floors above). The signal strength reads good or very good, internet is great, but My Network Places wont generally let me in to the folders. When it does, I can't stream media files for longer than 20secs and file transfers fail, causing a not-responding situation.

all firewalls are off

any thoughts appreciated as new to wireless

thanks

Relevancy 80.41%

Hello guys, I recently purchased a NAS drive from Western Digital. It works like a charm when it backs up everything from 6 computers in my office. However, my employees are used to accessing the network storage via Start --> My Network Places. All 6 computers can access the network, but 2 of the computers can't see it on "My Network Places" for those two computers to access the network, they have to go through "View Workgroup Computers". I am not sure why I can't access the new NAS, as far as I know all the computers are up to date on the Net Framework which I think its 4.0 or 4.5, I am not sure which one is the latest, but it has the latest one.
Any ideas will be appreciated!
-Michael

A:Missing Network Drive in Network Places on XP

Any suggestions ??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-network-drive-in-network-places-on-xp.1058031/
Relevancy 78.26%

This is a question for information about why my networking problem finally was resolved I have four PC s on my network one Windows and three Windows XP The Windows PC always sees all three of the other computers However the Windows XP computers sometimes don t see the other XP computers when I press My Network Places Quite by accident I discovered that "View when Network Places" Why "My does Workgroup Computers" doesn't? work if I press View Workgroup Computers then ALL the other PC s in the network DO show up Furthermore if I click through quot View Workgroup Computers quot and access edit a file on one of the other computers then this computer will ALSO show up in My Network Places This behavior seems to be quite consistent and works every time I have tried it Apparently this is a workaround to the long vexing problem of why Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't? my networked PC s sometimes don t show up under My Network Places My question why does View Workgroup Computers apparently always show all the networked PC s when My Network Places does so only intermittently or sometimes not at all Thanks for Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't? any response Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/why-does-view-workgroup-computers-work-when-my-network-places-doesnt-487868.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi-

I just upgraded my security and changed the name of my wifi network, but I still show the default network names in MY NETWORK PLACES/ENTIRE NETWORK/MICROSOFT WINDOWS NETWORK of MSHOME and WORKGROUP.

How can I delete those two network names.

I'm running XP on all of the pcs on the network and Norton Internet Security (which seem to gum up a lot of stuff <g>).

thanks,

tom

A:Remove old network in My Network Places?

Not too sure but try going to a command prompt and type ipconfig/flushdns

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remove-old-network-in-my-network-places.468923/
Relevancy 75.25%

Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen I have a home network with laptops and desktop The desktop I use as a quot file server quot in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the to Explorer Unable network computers Windows in see scree home Network desktop The desktop computer name is HAL One laptop is fine and sees the network The other just stopped seeing it rebooted the laptop rebooted HAL did a number of refreshes without any luck I opened EXCEL and found a worksheet that was listed that I knew was saved Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree on HAL Was able to open the file and when I tried the SAVE AS I could navigate through all of HAL just as normal Went to Windows Explorer and still no HAL listed as a COMPUTER on the NETWORK I have a internet connection so I know I am making it to the router at least And when I check NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER it shows an active home network Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree The laptop is running Windows Home Premium Service Pack Build Thanks in advance for any help George

A:Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree

Still working on the problem. Tried to do a system restore back to the point where everything was working. Still no HAL showing as a network computer; Excel now does not recognize the path that worked yesterday. But now I am able to create a shortcut that will take me to HAL on the network. Guess this is a good enough fix for right now. When I go to Windows Explorer, Network it still only shows the 2 laptops and not HAL......WHY????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229783-unable-see-home-network-computers-windows-explorer-network-scree.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I am about to return this brand new computer running Vista since it won t connect to my exiting computers on my wireless network It will however connect to the wireless netork to get out to the internet Here is what I have Brand new computer runnig Vista home premium Wireless netwrok external netgear ma network tomy connecting on but computers other not vista wireless network connection that can vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network see the internet I am using it now It can see a windows computer as well as my laptop running Windows Xp but when I try to connect to those computers it gives me an error message I googled this problem and disabled my vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network firewalls I created same user accounts on all with same passords I also tried same user accounts with no password neither works Any suggestion before I return this i relaly want to make Vista work since it at last looks different I like new interface - makes my life more interesting - I know VERY SAD Any suggestions nbsp

A:vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-connecting-tomy-wireless-network-but-not-other-computers-on-network.631622/
Relevancy 73.96%

After starting my Windows laptop if I go to the Control Panel Network and Internet View Network Computers and Devices a device is listed that is not on my network It is listed as either a Ralink wireless client Model RT U or a full ariel Model KFARWI and if I right click on the device and view the properties the Model Name and MAC Address are shown I checked the Device Manager and it was not listed in the Device Manager Also my router did not show it as an attached device I have Win laptop a Win laptop an iphone android phone ipad WD NAS and HP wireless printer connected to a Netgear AC wireless router with MAC address filtering enabled When I log into the router I have never seen either device mentioned above listed on the router list of attached devices nor do any of the devices I have on my network have the MAC address listed for either device After a short period of time the device disappears I have set up my network as a private network My concerns are Are the devices a security issue and can they access my network How come my computer detects them The devices do not list either a work group or a network location so am I correct in assuming the devices are not connecting through my router Is there anything I can do to prevent it from being detected

A:Unknown Network Device in CP\View Network Computers, Dev.

Do you have a Kindle?  This (KFARWI) looks to be an Amazon Android device - of which the Kindle is the most common device (IMO).
Search Google for Amazon KFARWI

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579758/unknown-network-device-in-cpview-network-computers-dev/
Relevancy 73.96%

I have created an ad hoc wireless network by the name quot Trial quot and created a network key as quot letstry quot Now I am trying to login to this network from other computer which is in the same room at ft distance This ad hoc network appears files in to network copying ad ad network computers connecting from hoc hoc and in the list of available networks When I connecting to ad hoc network and copying files from computers in ad hoc network try to connecting to ad hoc network and copying files from computers in ad hoc network login it asks for the network key I provided network key and then confirmed it now when I click connect instead of getting connected to first computer I am getting pop up window mwssage In the title bar of the pop window it says quot Wireless configuration quot In the message it reads quot The network password needs to be bits or bits depending on your network configuration This can be entered as or ascii characters or or hexadecimal characters quot Then I changed network key to quot letstry quot i e exactly ascii characters and now I am able to connect to the ad hboc wireless network of first computer Does it mean that network key has to bne exactly or ascii characters and nothing else than that If not then quot letstry quot network key has ascii characters between and ascii characters then why am I getting this kind of message But now I can not browse files of fisrt computer from second computer or vice versa When I am connnected to ad hoic network and open network and sharing center I see only one link quot My computer - gt internet quot which is broken Usually the link diagram is shown as quot My computer - gt Network - gt internet quot When I am connected to ad hoc network quot network quot part from the diagram is missing If there is quot network quot part in the diagram may be I can browse computers in the network and see other computer But since I can not see other computer this way how can I connect to other computer Whats the way to browse other connected computers in the ad hoc network How do I copy files from one computer to other When I click on computer I can not see the files or folders of other computer Please guide me how to copy files

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/connecting-to-ad-hoc-network-and-copying-files-from-computers-in-ad-hoc-network-479434.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Preface I am running a laptop which I upgraded from windows to windows I also have a desktop that is still running windows One of the hard drives on my desktop is shared and I often-enough will copy files from my laptop to my desktop The laptop connects wirelessly and the desktop is wired Today however I could not get my laptop to see my desktop on the network It is connected to in Other network showing; computers not shows old instead. network the network I am receiving internet just fine When I first click the network tab in the navigation pane it does not list any section for any computers Other computers in network not showing; shows old network instead. So I tell it to refresh and after a moment it now displays three computers all of which were ones I would see on the network from a house I no longer live in Now as it just so happens one of those computers is my desktop as I had it back then but when I try to access it it just gives me the spinning wheel for a while and then just says it can't access it If I click quot diagnose quot it doesn't find anything that's wrong This is pretty much the same result I get form trying to connect to one of the computers from my old house I haven't changed any settings and I was indeed able to connect to that computer at this house just a week or so ago Not sure what the problem is but I haven't tried much other than resetting the computer I'm open to suggestions

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/62461-other-computers-network-not-showing-shows-old-network-instead.html
Relevancy 72.24%

As the topic says, I'm having an issue where a computer on a network cannot see the other computer on the network.  It is able to connect to the internet, and I double-checked based on earlier threads and the network discovery IS ON.  This computer
is able to create a Homegroup and the other computer on the network is able to see the shared folders when it joins the homegroup, but I cannot create a homegroup on the
other computer and have this computer see it to join it.  The other computer sees this computer in Windows Explorer under Network, but as far as the problem computer is concerned, it is the only computer on the network.
Despite this, when I open up the Network Map, it shows both computers, the router, and the modem.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6789f7fd-6dc6-4b5f-b997-32480bd340c0/windows-7-cannot-see-other-win7-computers-on-network-other-win7-computers-on-network-can-see-this?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 71.38%

Suddenly, "My Network Places" is denying me access to the rest of the computers on the wireless network in my home. Where the window used to list all computers and folders available, it remains blank. When I click on "View Workgroup Computers", I get the error message - "Home (network name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource . . ."

Also, this computer no longer shows up on the other computers on the network in their "My Network Places" windows.

I have run the network setup wizard again, to no avail. System restore has failed also. I don't know what changed in the last 24 hours, and don't know what else to try.

A:My Network Places

From the problem PC can you ping the router? Ping other PCs by IP address? Ping them by Computer Name?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places.482087/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have two computers, the network between them use to work fine. Now, they can't see each other. I set them to the same workgroup. I changed nothing between them as far as I know, especially accounts wise. Any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places.413972/
Relevancy 71.38%

In My Network Places I have a shared directory on another computer that doesn't exist. (The directory, not the computer.) On Comp A I can browse the network or move files to D1 on comp B. If I get there by MNP>D1 on B, then the only item that shows in the directory is the one I just copied or moved. And the file doesn't actually exist on that computer.

However, MNP>Entire Network>MS WIN Network>Workgroup>Comp B>D1 on Comp B allows me to move or copy and it then exists on that computer. I'm also then able to see other files in that directory.

Is there a way to fix this or to have shared directories not show unless you use the latter method?

Relevancy 71.38%

hey all,

i use my network place to upload files to my webby and recently it started to open every new folder in a new window. my web host has a limit one connection per user so this causes errors

how can i fix this? i have explorer settings to open all folders in same window

thanks for the help

Because of the integration of Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer, they share a number of settings.

Try opening Internet Explorer, go to tools, Internet options, advanced, then select Reuse windows when launching shortcuts. Click apply and OK. This should resolve your problem, but be aware that it will screw things up on other sites when you follow a link it will cause your original page to disappear except in history.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places.87991/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have been round in circles checking settings, and cannot figure this out.

I have wireless network set up at home, and file sharing.

I have 1 win 7 computer and 2 XP computers. I have no prob from win7 getting into XP shared files on network and sharing printer, etc.

My prob lies when I try from my XP computers to see the win7 computer in the network places. It is not there. I can see it in workgroup computers, but can't do anything with it. I try to add it in network places, but it cannot find it by browse or direct typing.

On win7 computer I have it marked to share, have passwords turned off, I have tried to create a homegroup and have removed the homegroup, cause I cannot figure it out.

I am able to access win7 shared files from PS3, so don't understand why I can't from XP. help?

A:win xp cannot see win 7 on network places

Quote: Originally Posted by PJs

I have been round in circles checking settings, and cannot figure this out. I have tried to create a homegroup and have removed the homegroup, cause I cannot figure it out.

Pjs; Welcome to Windows 7 Forums, we are glad you are here. I have felt your pain and frustration!

Based on your statement here quoted, you need to know that "HomeGroup" only applies to Windows 7 Computers. XP cannot join a HomeGroup. However, you can still network your XP computers with your 7 computer using the "Workgroup". Be sure all computers have the same "Workgroup" name.

Post back if this helps.

Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/20438-win-xp-cannot-see-win-7-network-places.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I have no ideal what this is for. I tried googling it so maybe I could solve the problem myself but everything looked "greek" to me.
Anyways there is a folder or link or whatever it's called named

\\www.stthomas.edu\foodservice

How I do I remove it and How did it get there?
Is it a virus or malware?
Thanks

I clicked on view workgroup computers and I got a popup
that says "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

A:My Network Places?

404 is an HTTP status code. The server has not found anything matching the URI given.The 404 or Not Found error message is an HTTP standard response code indicating that the client was able to communicate with the server, but the server either could not find the file that was requested, or it was configured not to fulfill the request and not reveal the reason why.See here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/404_errorThat link is no longer valid so you can delete it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/64996/my-network-places/
Relevancy 71.38%

I want to remove everything in my network places before it had nothing in it now it has alot of crap :/ please help.

i tried right click and delete nothing worked......

As long as you are connected to a network and there are devices out there that are connected, you will have these devices listed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places.930383/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have read thro the books and tried JohnWills 02/10/05 in this forum and the t/shooter, but still cannot get my head round this.

One computer can see itself, the other sees no-one so i assume it is this one which is sick. I tried to ping but no responses.

Could someone point me in the right direction.
THanks

ADrian

Relevancy 71.38%

well when i open my network places i see all the computers and they all have passwords except for mine and i wnated to know how can i set a password for my computer to protect it sooo can plzz any one tel me how

A:my network places

what O/S are you running?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places.610333/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have Windows 2000 PC and Windows XP SP2 PC.

Windows 2000 have Administrator account and User account.
WinXP have only Administrator account.

XP see's Win2000, shared folders and My Network Places on network, no problem.
BUT Win2000 can ONLY see XP with Admin account, NOT User account.

Now, all I want to do is to be able to see My Network Places with the User account, what must I do? I think obviously I have to use Admin to give User account some permissions, or edit mmc policies or something like that but dont know where to change it.

Can anybody help? Thanx.

Relevancy 71.38%

I had 2 pcs and two laptops all talking to eachother ok, file sharing ok. Main pc, with belkin 54g router running Xp, rest wireless.

Following HD faiure and a new HD I am having problems getting the Main pc to 'see' others or others see it. The wireless laptops and pc are seeing eachother ok, just not the Main pc. Each time I boot it up it's different. I have run the network wizard to try and restablish connection with the others, but sometimes the others show up in My network places, more usually they dont.

Any ideas? I know absolutely NOTHING about setting up networking so maybe missing something stupidly simple!

Edited to add... I think its being caused by Bitdefenders firewall.. if I disable it (I just discovered) I can rerun the wizardand it works. So how do I configure Bit defender to let me network???
Thanks
Jules

A:network places comes and goes

Make sure the problem PC is in the same workgroup as the others, and that there is no 3rd party firewall blocking LAN access.

Also keep in mind that after any change to the network (includes restarting a computer) it may take 15 to 20 minutes for all computers to get up to date information about the computers and shares on the network--in other words you can't always rely on My Network Places.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-places-comes-and-goes.569743/
Relevancy 71.38%

Is there a way of stopping XP to "kindly" be adding all the shared folder on the LAN under "My network places"
e.g
Files on Craig
Files on Tim
Games on Kip
Music on Kip

not only does it slow the process down but I dont want all the available shares to be listed there, i use that for FTP access!

Cheers

No I dont believe you can stop this, but I dont think I quite understand your question. Do you not want the shared folders to be under "My Network Places"?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-network-places.4212/
Relevancy 71.38%

I feel really dumb about this one.
The system SAYS it's connected to the network. It's sending and receiving packets. It's pinging everything I* ask it to... but when I go to network places, there is nothing there. I'm not sure what the problem is, or how to approach this. I have already tried kicking the computer. That did not work.
-Brent

Relevancy 71.38%

Hey, I have network setup with my brothers computer, and we share files and stuff. I always put the files in the " my network places folder " and never had problems. But now all of a sudden my " my network places " folder is completely blank, and I cant get files from his computer. But on his computer, he has all the files in his " my network places " folder. How can I get my stuff to show up in the folder?

A:My Network Places Help

I can go to tools > map network drive > browse and i found the folder / files there... but how can i get it to appear in the my network places folder?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-help.518010/
Relevancy 71.38%

On both my desk top and lap top I have about 15 folders marked as 'shared and to allow uiser's to make changes' as it is in my own home and I'm the only one using either computer. However, when I click the "My Network Places" only about 8 folders show up as being accessible. How do I make it so that ALL folders marked will show up as such?
Greg & (Grimm)

right click the files you wish to have available and opt for sharing and security,network options etc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places.525380/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have had my PC's networked for several months and have not had any trouble. I use a Netgear WPN 824 router on a SpeedStream DSL modem. Everything is wired.

I just noticed that when I go to My Network Places, the shared folders on the PC that I am using appear under "Local Network," but the folders that are being shared on the OTHER PC's appear under "Internet."

What is up with this?

I am not 100% sure, but I don't think it was like this before. It sure does not look right to me. I think all shared folders were under Local Network.

OS is XP Home.

Any ideas?

PK

No problem, it's just an anomaly in Network Places.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places.571651/
Relevancy 71.38%

When I click "My Network Places" then do the following:

Click... "Entire Network"
Click... "Microsoft Windows Network"
Click... "VERAM" (domain name)

I dont see anyother computers underneath it... Sometimes I do but most of the time I dont... I should see about 100 other computer names there...

Suggestions?

A:Network Places

Are the other 100 computers all turned on?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-places.393182/
Relevancy 71.38%

I can't see the side bar on my network places. The one that has add network places viewnetwork connections setup a network and so on and so forth HELP!

A:My Network Places! Help.

change display settings?
not much to go on

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-help.154057/
Relevancy 71.38%

When I click "My Network Places" then do the following:

Click... "Entire Network"
Click... "Microsoft Windows Network"
Click... "VERAM" (domain name)

I dont see anyother computers underneath it... Sometimes I do but most of the time I dont... I should see about 100 other computer names there...

Suggestions?

I think I have seen this linked to a problem that, as usual, MS knows about but doesn't fix. I believe it's something to do with the way that win 2k+ and the scheduled tasks in computers. There is a way to disable looking for scheduled tasks automatically every time you try and brouse the network. Just google it and you should find the registery setting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places.393142/
Relevancy 71.38%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack Places My Network bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce MX Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Q Total - MB My Network Places Free - MB W Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Computer Corp G Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled Recently I copied a file using the standard Copy to function in windows explorer clicked on the copy to icon and in the Copy items destination dialogue box I noticed for the first time the My Network Places folder as one of the possible destination folders I have never seen this folder listed as a possible destination folder and I was wondering how it appeared All the other folders in the destination dialogue box I am familiar with I went to my desktop and right clicked chose properties and then desktop and then customize desktop The box for My Network Places was not checked I don t know if the two are related I thought I d let you know anyway Should I be concerned about the appearance of this folder Why would it have appeared out of the blue I use the copy to and move to functions often and I am certain the My Network Places folder was never listed Any help would be appreciated nbsp

No, it was there. It's just a system location for storing files on other devices on the network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places.1092264/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have set up a network place to connect to my web server. This works good, however I would like to have the link connect to the public_html directory instead of the main directory. Is this possible and if so how?

The link I am using is
ftp://ftp.www.farmington.org.farming...rd.public_html

I changed the user name for this screen.

Thank you for any help

A:network places and the web

Think it would be better for you if you asked a mod/admin to move your thread to the Networking sub-forum.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-places-and-the-web-342495.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I thought I had my network all running sweetlythen I got the 'you do not have permission' dialog! I put the root of the drive as a share for testing and although I can get in somer folders others deny me access. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Have MS patched XP so you need to specify everything you share?

Relevancy 71.38%

Seems like I remember on Win XP there was a Start menu item called "My Network Places." Win 7 doesn't have it there. Does it exist and where if it does?

Thank you.

A:My Network Places in Win 7

Hello Jsquareg,

The tutorial below can help show you how to create a shortcut to help make opening "Network Connections" / "My Network Places" easier to do in Windows 7.

Network Connections - Create Shortcut

or

Network Folder Shortcut - Create

If this is not the right location, then please see the "Related tutorials" section at the bottom of the link above to see if one of them may be it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/124118-my-network-places-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Is there a way to delete "my network places" from my start menu? I dunno what it's for and it wasn't there earlier today and it's the only computer online.

A:My network places.

You can specify what's displayed in the advanced properties of the taskbar, I believe there's an option to display My Network Places there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places.161523/
Relevancy 70.52%
Relevancy 70.52%

I want to know which features (such as firewall) of Windows XP (home ed.) are running. I think I have to go to "My Network Places" but can't find it. If it was accidently deleted, how do I retrieve it? - Rocketeer

A:Solved: My Network Places

look in the control panel
if not there,in the run box type
sfc /scannow
and press enter
don't miss the space after the c

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-my-network-places.235016/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have two computers on the same router connected through my network places. It has been working perfectly fine, untill I accidently tried to access the other computer while it was turned off. A notice came up saying I could not access it, and then my network places went blank. I then closed it and started up the other computer, yet apon going back into my network places it was still blank. I then re-setup the network on both computers, yet it was still blank. Restarting the computer did not help either. The other computer can access and use my network places perfectly fine, yet on this computer it remians blank.

Please help.

Relevancy 70.52%

Having a bit of a problem sharing files between 2 desktop computers and my laptop. All running XP Home. Some of the shared files have disappeared, some of the remaining files share and some don't. It all worked originally. I have checked to make sure sharing is permitted on all the files on all the computers. The printer sharing works. Is there an easy way to get it all back without running the setup wizard again? I had a bear of a time making this work the first time and do not relish the thought of spending a week re-doing it again.I'm using a Linksys WRT54GSv.5 wireless G/w speedbooster. I am wired from cable modem to the Linksys,wired to the 2 desktops from the hub and wireless to the laptop. Help would be appreciated!

Relevancy 70.52%

First off apologies if this stuff is covered elsewhere I did have a router I in Places? Should see Network my My good browse using the search options but I couldn t find the info I needed My question is Should I see my router in My Network Places? this I have just bought a ZyXEL Prestige H HW router and have two PC Should I see my router in My Network Places? s connected to a DSL connection One PC detects the connection just fine but the second one seems to only connect to the DSL connection intermittently Sometimes I can browse the web and other times I can t I originally had a problem where my network card was assigning itself an IP address which was not compatible with the router so I changed to a static one but I still can t always connect I was wondering if I should be able to see my router in My Network Connections I am running WinXP Home All I see is my LAN and nothing else Is there any way I could set it up to show the router so I could at least check its connectivity status and maybe set to show an icon when connected to the net Any help would be greatly appreciated and I d be happy to supply any other system info if you need Cheers nbsp

A:Should I see my router in My Network Places?

I can ping the router when I am connected but I just don't know how to connect. It seems that sometimes I log on and I am connected and oter times not.

I also cannot see the other PC from either computer at these times, suggesting the network is not even set up. But, again, at other times I do see the workgroup computers.

I was wondering if maybe my network card is to blame, since when I have it automatically assign an IP address it gives one that is outside the compatible range for the router. Even if I set one manually, it can't seem to keep it and keeps reverting to an automatic one...

One further thing: the PC that does connect without a problem has two LAN connections showing and these are bridged. One of these I am not even sure what it is. It is called "1394 Connection". Could the fact that these two are bridged be stopping the other PC from accessing the router? Although even if I disable the bridge I can't seem to get in..

Thanks again for any advice

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-see-my-router-in-my-network-places.14388/
Relevancy 70.52%

We have a small business network Network Places in Folders setup running Windows XP We have computers that are all networked I am the administrator Connected to my desktop is a Seagate gb hard drive F we use for backups We also have another Folders in Network Places unoccupied computer which we have another gb Seagate hooked up to Each month Folders in Network Places I swap the F drives I have created shared folders with subfolders under them on each Seagate drive for the users to back up to When I open up Network Places there are so many folders listed it looks as if some are duplicated My question is when you create a folder with subfolders and share them on the network do they automatically show up under Network Places For example if I create a Folder Called quot Marty s Documents quot and then create sub folders quot Marty s Docs quot and Marty s Drawings quot they all show up under Network Places and it gets confusing for all users to choose which folder to pick Anyway to streamline what shows up under Network Places nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

Hi,

does anybody know how to solve this?

i can't see one computer in My Network Places, but i can get to it by typing his name in a address bar (\\name). There are 5 pc's with same version's of WinXp sp2 and other computers see each other, except this one.

A:Can't see one computer in My Network places

Hi podlium and welcome to TSF

Check that that computer has the same workgroup name as the others : right-click my computer => properties => computer name.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-see-one-computer-in-my-network-places-167935.html
Relevancy 70.52%

okay, when i try to access my laptop from this PC, it prompts me for a password? i tried blank and it doesnt work and i never set any password. i formatted my laptop.
but i can access this PC from my laptop.

help please!?
i want to remove that password prompt so that i can acccess.

A:Password on My network places?!?

Create a user account on the laptop with the same name/password as is used to login to the desktop machine, the password prompt should go away.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/password-on-my-network-places.579520/
Relevancy 70.52%

I just got switched to Windows 7 on my work computer and am trying to figure out how to add network folders to what used to be My Network Places. For example, when I'm in Word and saving an attached file, in XP there was a button called My Network Places (MNP). I was able to move assign some of my common network folders to the MNP and therefore to get to that folder with a single click.
So I'm not trying to pin a folder to the taskbar, but trying to retain a folder pathname so that when I'm saving a file, I don't have to go through the entire network path name to get to the folder of interest. Any help? Thank you.

A:Does Windows 7 allow My Network Places like XP did?

hi carolyn12345, and welcome to sevenforums,

what i do is drag my network locations to my favourites in windows explorer. i can then save files there from word easily.

maybe there are more elegant methods of doing this, but my way is simple and works for me.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207564-does-windows-7-allow-my-network-places-like-xp-did.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Please help regarding, how to make visible other pc connected with same network.
thanks

A:Other PC not visible in my Network Places

Why can?t I see other computers on my network?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/42207-other-pc-not-visible-my-network-places.html
Relevancy 70.52%

but seriously,

what do you do when my network places keeps hanging
and closing.

on all shares,and general browsing...

i have:
reinstalled the network card
removed spyware and viruses
run a chkdsk

and all my network settings are right...the connection (internet/server) is working

Relevancy 70.52%

Hello!

I have a small home network--3 PCs, one a laptop, wireless and a Mac, also wireless. Here's the rather curious problem. One of the XP desktops CAN see the laptop if I choose "view workgroup computers". I can then double-click the laptop's icon, see the shares and access them, albeit very slowly. The same shares do NOT show up in the "Network Places" folder! All of the other shares DO (those from the other machines). Access to these other shares is very fast. All of the other computers can correctly view the laptop shares in "M. N. P."

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Les

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shares-not-in-network-places.556373/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi there I have two computers both operating Windows XP that are connected to the internet Places Trouble with Network My by a DSL router I have successfully connected these two computers together for a while now and they have been talking Trouble with My Network Places back and forth and sharing folders fine for a year or more Now suddenly when I am on PC and open up the My Networks Places folder to view the shared folders a few of the folders on PC will not open The icon has changed as well Actually I can open the folder but there is nothing in it Some of the other folders on PC are accessible and I can view and change documents there When I change computers and open up My Networks on PC I can view and access ALL folders from both computers no icons are changed there I have pinged from both computers and both are talking to each other From PC I have quot unshared quot the folders and then quot reshared quot them There is no change on the PC side - except that I can no longer even SEE these folders as an option The ones that were working before still work but the ones that were empty aren't even appearing in the PC 's My Network Places Does anyone have any ideas Thank you in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/trouble-with-my-network-places-397896.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Have installed Windows XP SP2 on one of my PC's and now I can't access my other computer in My Network Places.

For example if I attempt to do a net use i.e. \\computername\sharename it fails, however if I attempt to do \\ip address of other computer\sharename this works OK.

Also trying the net view command fails with error 6118 "A list of servers for this workgroup is not available".

Suspected it might be the Windows Firewall that comes with SP2, so have disabled this but it still doesn't work. Also stopped and restarted the Computer browser service on both PC's but still no joy!

Anyone out there had this problem or know how to fix it (other than uninstalling SP2 which I'm very tempted to do at the moment!)

Relevancy 70.52%

Whenever I go into My Places My freezes Network Network Places my computer freezes If I don t do anything after several mintues my desktop icons disappear then reappear and everything is fine I ve run ewido and cleanup I m looking for some more suggestions Thanks Windows XP pro SP Intel Pentium My Network Places freezes M Ghz MB of Ram Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System SCardSvr exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ZcfgSvc exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DVDLauncher exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Dell Media Experience DMXLauncher exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files Dell Support DSAgnt exe C PROGRA SPYWAR swdoctor exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C Program Files Dell Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin XConfig exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS AOLacsd exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files Dell Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files ewido security suite ewidoctrl exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C Program Files Dell NICCONFIGSVC NICCONFIGSVC exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system tcpsvcs exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C PROGRA Dell BLUETO BTSTAC EXE C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dell me com myway R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www dell me com myway O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdsg dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdpb dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run Apoint C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run IntelWireless C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe tf Intel PROSet Wireless O - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run Dell QuickSet C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe O - HKLM Run DVDLauncher quot C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DVDLauncher exe quot O - HKLM Run ISUSPM Startup C PROGRA COMMON INSTAL UPDATE ISUSPM exe -start... Read more

A:My Network Places freezes

Is this the same problem as both these threads you've made already?

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/434331-computer-freezes-hjt-log.html

http://forums.techguy.org/security/434237-computer-freezes-have-hold-down-power-key.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-freezes.434432/
Relevancy 70.52%

My main desktop PC is running Windows Media Center and wired to the internet, my second desktop PC is running Windows XP and is wireless, my 3rd PC is a wireless laptop. I have set up shared drives on both desktop PCs. Every time I reboot either of my PCs, the shared drives go away when I try to access them from my laptop. If I open up My Network Places on my main PC, the shared drives will show there(after having it open for a few seconds) and then they will show on my laptop. Is there a service that needs to run automatically on my desktop PCs for this not to happen?

One more thing, all firewalls are down.

A:My Network Places Problem

During a reboot Windows completely shuts down. With no operating system running, the computer (and all of its drives) is off the network. After Windows boots again the computer's network connection is (usually) reestablished.

The only way to prevent this is to not restart Windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-problem.538982/
Relevancy 70.52%

I cant find the shortcut * icon for 'my network places' on my main computer. The laptop downstairs can access the net but I don't know if the third and a temporary 4th are on net.
I don't know where the icon has gone, I've done a full search for it but to no avail. There must be a way. I've had a look on here but nothing seems to fit.
Any ideas people?

docusk

Getting better every day.

A:Can't see 'My network places' on the desktop

Right click anywhere on the desktop outside of icons, go properties, then desktop tab, then customize desktop. Check the my network places and hit ok, it should appear. As you can see this works for my computer, my documents, and IE too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-see-my-network-places-on-the-desktop.558735/
Relevancy 70.52%

I cant find it on windows vista for some reason? I am trying to create a connection to share the "shared" files on my net work of 3 computers. Wel the neew computer doesnt seem to have a MY NETWORK PLACES so ican access other files in the shared section. This is so depressing and im so confused is there anyone out there that can help me ?

A:Help I just got a new lap top so confused where is my network places??

Go to the Control Panel and select Network and Sharing center. You can set up sharing here.
Vista doesn't have Network Places like XP.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-i-just-got-a-new-lap-top-so-confused-where-is-my-network-places-168626.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi, this topic may have been posted before but being new to the forum, I thought I would ask rather than search. I am running windows xp pro sp2. I network my two pc's for file transfer simply with a cross over cable. This works well for me. Today I tried accessing My Network Places in the start menu and nothing happened. I tried again and again nothing. I then tried accessing it in Explorer. Explorer freezes and when I go to close the window, get the error message this program has stopped responding? I can expand My Network Places in Explorer by clicking on the + next to it which takes to Entire Network and then onto Work Group....etc but no response from clicking the direct link? Does anyone have any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-is-not-responding.711567/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have two computers I'll call them quot mine quot and quot his quot quot mine quot has both Vista and Windows installed dual boot quot his quot has XP Home When I boot quot mine quot into Vista the 7 network can't in Windows XP see places networking works perfectly Vista and XP can see files and printers and all is great When I boot quot mine quot into Windows I can see quot his quot computer and access his files and his printer However quot his quot computer doesn't even see quot mine quot show up in My Network Places I've checked the workgroup in Windows and it's the correct name I've gone to the Network and Sharing Center in Win and set my Network to quot Home network quot I played briefly with the quot HomeGroup quot thing in Win until I reached the point where it said it only worked for computers running Win However it does says HomeGroup Joined and it appears that I've joined a HomeGroup So now what Why can't XP see the Windows computer

A:XP can't see Windows 7 in network places

try go into the Network and Sharing Center...then choose Homegroup and Sharing Option. Try turn on the network discovery setting. See this --> Vista Network Discovery - Setting Network Locations | Windows Server Training

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/15943-xp-cant-see-windows-7-network-places.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I have a networked XP SP Dell CPU GHZ that has some networdk connectivity issues I have a computer network connected through an IOGear KVMP that works just fine My Network Places on the other three Network XP in with Problems My Places show all the shared resources on all computers View Workgroup Computers on the other computers shows all the puters connected to the network MSHOME - including the Here are the problem withthe Dell My Network Places does not even show on Problems with My Network Places in XP the Start list it does show in the list under My Computer on the other When I click on My Computer My Network Places none of the computer resources show - not even the When I click on View Workgroup Computers on the nothing happens I get a quick hourglass and then it stops I have run the wizard for Installing a home network and making a new connection but nothing changes If Problems with My Network Places in XP I try and access the shared resopurses of the from the other computers some of them work and some of them do not My Shared Folders results in a error message saying I do not have authorization to access that resource I am the administrator of my own network This seems to be a minor software SNAFU but I don t know the problem Any help will be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

WORKGROUP SHOWS NO COMPUTERS ON THIS WINXP SP3 COMPUTER
SHOWS ERROR MESSAGE:

Workgroup is not accessible. network path not found dont have access rights something in that order. checked dll and states:
WKSSVC was loaded but the dll register server entry point was not found.
This file can not be registered.

WinXP SP3 Ethernet
ZYXEL 660 SERIES ROUTER

HP Vista DV6755 Laptop wireless

winxp pc shows up on vista but nothing shows up on winxp pc.

A:My network places shows nothing

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-shows-nothing.833245/
Relevancy 70.52%

When I click on 'My Network Places' the other computers on my network seem to have vanished. When I go to another computer on the network, I cannot see my computer.
I have tried to re-institute the network on my computer through the wizard but this does not seem to have altered anything.
This has suddenly happened and I don't understand why or how to fix it. Please help.

Relevancy 70.52%

The network places icon in the explorer tree is not there, allowing access to network places using the explorer. Is there a way to force add it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-places-in-explorer-511876.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I have got a 1MB link and cable modem and network card on Blueyonder,
all works fine - ie. connect to internet etc. but nothing is displaying in network connections. Ie. It is completley blank and doesn't say
Local Area Network or anything. I have got AVG virus scanner running also.
I hope this isn't a virus or something.

Is there anyway of getting it back??? Is this anything to do with service pack 2 ????

A:Nothing Displaying In Network Places

If this is a single computer and you have not logged into Microsoft Networking, that would be normal. How about some details about your system configuration and the equipment you use. Make/model of any equipment, as well as Windows versions.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/nothing-displaying-in-network-places-41190.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi TSG

I have just set up a small home network, with my HP desktop and Toshiba laptop, alls working fine but when I open my network places on the hp I can see no icons or shared folders, on the laptop it's fine, is there a simple setting Ive missed, both are xp pro sp2.

Thanks

A:no icons in my network places

It's normal for My Network Places to be empty at first. It seems to learn over time. Start with "show workgroup computers" and if that doesn't work (it doesn't appear to be 100% reliable) do Start - Run - \\computername - OK, where computername is the name of one of your networked computers. It should bring up a window showing the shares on that computer. And, if that doesn't work, do it again but use the IP address instead of computername.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-icons-in-my-network-places.362045/
Relevancy 70.52%

This is starting to get annoying can anyone explain what is going in or how to cure it I am Can't rid get entry Places" of Network "My running Windows XP SP Home on an internal network with other machines through a Dell router to a cable modem I have ZoneAlarm the freebie version as the Pro licence has expired and Norton Antivirus Symptoms are Every so often zonealarm tells me quot Firewall has blocked access to c e bn net TCP Port quot Which seems to correspond to a plausible local site here in Cambridge UK which I may well have visited once The same address appears on quot My Network places quot and Can't get rid of "My Network Places" entry generates the zonealarm message if I click on it If I try and delete the entry explorer just hangs If I try and do a full system scan with Norton Antivirus the scan also hangs at D Documents and Settings Chris NetHood target lnk e bn on c e bn net FWIW it feels more like a cock up than a security issue its as if somehow an inaccessible external shared disk has got added to my system but maybe not Any ideas

A:Can't get rid of "My Network Places" entry

I suggest you go to the HighJackThis forum and follow the instruction there. POST you log in that forum, not here. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MODIFY THE COMPUTER YOURSELF. You could damage your operating system beyond repair. Please be patient and a HJT Team member will review your post and reply to you as soon as possible.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/30173/cant-get-rid-of-my-network-places-entry/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi
I have a laptop(XP Pro) and a pc(XP Home), to transfer data between them i connected them with a crosssed cable.
They are not connected to the Internet, just between themselves.
I ran on both of them the Network wizard, and afterwards i set manually the ip adresses to each one.
They both have the same workgroup name, and different names.
The network seems to work because they can ping each other.
The problem is that i can't see in My Network Places the other computer, in the laptop i can see its own share dir (the laptop name) but not the pc, in the pc i can't see both of them, i mean not even its own share dir.

Please help me, and Thanks in advanced.

A:My Network Places is empty

First, set the LAN TCPIP properties to "Automatic" configuration (that is, let windows detect and assign the IP, remote gateway, dns, etc). Once both computers can see each other and you can browse shared folders both ways, reset the LAN settings to manual if you wish...

Some other things to check:

1. Open Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Services. Make sure the following services are set to Automatic startup and are currently running: DHCP client, DNS client, Server.

2. Make sure "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" is checked in Folder Options.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-is-empty.369031/
Relevancy 70.52%

ii flash by ipconfig flashdns amp ipconfig renew all those stuff on both computer still cant see each other on either my network places and workgroup computers buth both can access internet here cant computer places see on other network my ipconfig on the host C gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name greg Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No cant see other computer on network places WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO VE Network Connecti on Physical Address -E - -E - A- Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Friday September P M Lease Expires Friday September P M here the client C gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name isabela Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL B Wireless g Mbps USB Network Adapter Physical Address - -D - -FE-DA Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained September PM Lease Expires September PM nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

Have two pc's:
laptop running xp pro sp3
Pc running xp home sp3
After re-boot or re-start,can access my network places on the laptop.But only once.After,that,will not open my network places.
I have tried to open/explore the folder with explorer,it will display contents but not open the shared file selected.
The pc can display laptop's my network places folder,but will not open shared file on the laptop.
Thanks for any suggestion you may have.

A:Cannot access my network places.

This is marked "Solved." Is it?

If not please mark it Unsolved and check your Services (you know which ones ).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-my-network-places.980443/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have a dell dimensions 2400 i have recently did a clean install and have installed all the drivers necessary but when i have tried to connect to the internet it has no connection and i open the folder named my network places and i noticed its empty. Can anyone help me get back to the internet? Im running on windows xp home edition service pack 1.

A:My Network Places Is Empty

Click Start.

In the search bar type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click the + next to the pane Network Adapters so it expands, showing all installed hardware.

Take a screenshot of this window and attach the file in your next post.

[I prefer screenshots, but if this is impossible or would require a tremendous amount of time and effort for some reason, an exact report of the mentioned entries would suffice. Include any ! X or ?'s next to the entries.]

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-is-empty.994893/
Relevancy 70.52%

Whenever I go into My Network Places my computer freezes If I don t do anything after several mintues my desktop icons disappear then reappear and everything is fine I ve run ewido and cleanup I m looking for Places My freezes Network some more suggestions Thanks Windows XP pro SP Intel Pentium M Ghz MB of Ram Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C My Network Places freezes WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS System SCardSvr exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ZcfgSvc exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx My Network Places freezes exe C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C Program Files Intel My Network Places freezes Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DVDLauncher exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Dell Media Experience DMXLauncher exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files Dell Support DSAgnt exe C PROGRA SPYWAR swdoctor exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Apoint Apntex exe C Program Files Dell Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin XConfig exe C PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS AOLacsd exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files Dell Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files ewido security suite ewidoctrl exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C Program Files Dell NICCONFIGSVC NICCONFIGSVC exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system tcpsvcs exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C PROGRA Dell BLUETO BTSTAC EXE C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dell me com myway R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www dell me com myway O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdsg dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdpb dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run Apoint C Program Files Apoint Apoint exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run IntelWireless C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe tf Intel PROSet Wireless O - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run Dell QuickSet C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe O - HKLM Run DVDLauncher quot C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DVDLauncher exe quot O - HKLM Run ISUSPM Sta... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-freezes.434458/
Relevancy 70.52%

I am using Windows XP OS service pack 2. I am also sharing a network with an iMac via a TRENDnet router and "Airport". When clicking on >Start>My network places, the window sometimes opens up and sometimes it does not; the hourglass does not appear and the cursor arrow just remains as is. I know the network places are there because I can connect.

Is there something in my setup which can be causing this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

herc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-my-network-places.687492/
Relevancy 70.52%

hi, i have 2 machines networked through a Lynksys Etherfast router. Both machines are running windows xp pro.

this has just started recently as i have never had this problem before. Everytime i go into my network places from machine B to get to machine A's shared folder, for some reason the explorer.exe crashes on machine B, and the same thing happens when im on machine A trying to access a share that is on machine B. I already consulted this with one of my tech friends and he says that it could probably be a virus on both of my machines that is causing this, but ive ran the virus check on both machines and it comes out clean. If you know about or have experienced this problem before please post up for a solution to fix this.

Thank you for your time.

A:My Network places not responding.

Can we get some hardware specs?

Also, is each machine running its own XP license?

I would try the following first:

Reload NIC drivers and then doublecheck all network settings

Go to www.antivirus.com and do an online scan on each pc

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-network-places-not-responding-50825.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Sorry - didnt see reply to earlier post on same topic below.....stress!!

I have a weird problem on my network places. Previously i could see and access shared folders on my laptop, desktop and share printers too. I've had some 'problems' recently and now the shared folders are a bit messed up. On the desktop pC I can see the laptop shared folders but on the laptop I cant see the desktop folders - unless I click on -view workgroup computers - then double click on desktop PC icon and there are the shared folders??!! From there I can open the folders. Still cant get printer to work though. Any ideas anybody...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-places-strange.371206/
Relevancy 70.52%

Has anyone experienced this before.

My 'My Network Places' folder is usually split into two, local network and internet. However, for some reason some of my LAN folders are now appearing under the 'internet' heading.

Any ideas why that would happen? How can I fix this?

Many thanks

A:Changes in 'My network Places' Folder

I've seen that, and it's just some sort of Explorer thing, they're not actually accessable on the Internet.

Have you tried setting the Windows Explorer views back to default? Tools, Folder Options, Restore Defaults.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changes-in-my-network-places-folder.521593/
Relevancy 70.52%

Have small office network, running XP. My Network Places window locks up when clicking Show Workgroup Computers or any links to other computers on the network. Who can help?

A:My Network Places locking up

what are your computers specs. because this used to happen all the time to me but it was mostly because of poor hardware/slow network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-locking-up.805993/
Relevancy 70.52%

I've set up a home network (called workgroup) with two XP home pcs, one XP pro, one Vista Premium and a XP pro laptop. On one of the XP home pcs when I open My Network Places there are no network places listed. When I open view workgroup computers sometimes I see all 5 machines and sometimes I only see the 2 XP home pcs. I can access each PC by clicking on it's icon, then browse the shared disks/folders. I can add each of these folders individually by using Add a Network Place. So my first question is why doesn't XP automatically detect and display all available network places. and secondly, why does the number of network computers displayed keep changeing. Hope you can help.

A:Empty Network Places

In Windows Explorer, Tooks, Folder Options, View, and make sure that Automatically search for network folders and printers is checked.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/empty-network-places.632719/
Relevancy 70.52%

Sorry, I'm a newbie and I think I posted this in the wrong place before... Dang!

How do I create or add icons to point to other folders, drives, etc. in My Network Places? There are several computers on my network and on them, specific specific drives and specific folders that I use frequently. I'd like them to show up on all the computers, but I don't know how to create them?

A second, related question, can I safely delete icons for drives or folders that appear there that I don't use?

Thanks very much for any help.

Dan

A:How To Add To My Network Places Directory?

can I safely delete icons for drives or folders that appear there that I don't use?Yes.To share a folder, go to the computer that has the folder you want to share, navigate to the folder, right click on it, choose Sharing and Security. Select the Sharing tab (if it exists), select Share this Folder. You will have the oportunity to change the name of this folder for the network if you wish to.That's about it.Give it a minute or so, go back to your own computer and now see the shared folder in My Network Places.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/61520/how-to-add-to-my-network-places-directory/
Relevancy 70.52%

Windows XP Pro (new computer to me)

When I go to My Network Places | MS Windows Network I can see my local home LAN group (titled Workgroup). But, when I click on the "Workgroup" workgroup my computer (Desktop2) doesn't show up. Instead, I get the following error message:

"Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available."

This computer is new to my home LAN. Other computers have no problem seeing themselves or the other computers (XP Pro desktop, XP Pro laptop, Win98 desktop).

I have a Westell Verizon DSL router/modem. No firewalls are on.

Art

A:Computer cannot see itself under My Network Places

You've enabled file and printer sharing on this machine, right? And changed its workgroup to "Workgroup"?

Most likely a non-Windows firewall or security suite. But also ...

Make sure the following services are Started (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Workstation

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-cannot-see-itself-under-my-network-places.837534/