Windows Support Forum

Adding two window Vista basics to a wireless network

Q: Adding two window Vista basics to a wireless network

I have a question

I set up a net work with a linksys wireless router probably a year ago or so and it has a wireless linksys router. It is connect with two windows xp home computers and a windows 2000 and a mac and a windows 98 my question is

They (above) are all wired I am adding two window vista's with wireless built in cards, Will they hook up automatically or do I have to change the workgroup on them and if so where do I change the work group and is there anything else I would have to do to add them. Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Adding two window Vista basics to a wireless network

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Adding two window Vista basics to a wireless network

Assuming that you secured the wireless (preferably with WPA or WPA2) there will be no automatic connection. I do not remember whether the Vista default is to connect to any unsecured network or only to preferred networks. I think they got wise and made the latter the default, but I'm not at all sure.

If you want them to be in the same workgroup, then you will have to change the workgroup designation unless you named the workgroup "WORKGROUP." You change the workgroup on Vista similar to the way you do on XP--through the Properties of "Computer."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-two-window-vista-basics-to-a-wireless-network.705227/
Relevancy 77.83%

Would be very grateful for help. I just bought an HP Pavilion laptop with home premium platform . and want to be able to access files from my XP professional desktop , particularly pictures and music, and vice versa. I use DSL with router modem and have excellent internt connection but am unable to set up a suitable wireless network for file sharing. Thanks in advance for your help

Relevancy 76.11%

I have a wired home network running off a Netgear Router RP with two XP systems and one computer running Ubuntu I recently bought a notebook computer with the Vista operating system and added an AirLink N Wireless Router AR W I had trouble getting the wireless router to work properly with the online games I play until I configured it as wireless Adding Vista Solved: wired notebook to XP network a wireless access point according to the instructions I found on the Airlink website http www airlink com support index php cmd knowledgebase amp a viewarticle amp id My problem is that I can t get the Vista notebook to connect with any of the computers on my wired network I d like to be able to access files on my wired network from my wireless notebook Am I expecting too much Solved: Adding Vista wireless notebook to wired XP network Is this just something I m not going to be able to do My quot Network and Sharing Center quot will only show the network name I set up for my wireless conection and will not show the WORKGROUP network Solved: Adding Vista wireless notebook to wired XP network of my XP machines If I use quot Set up a connection or network quot and select quot Set up a wireless router or access point quot it will tell me to Configure this device manually quot Windows will open the device configuration web page so you can type the information manually Fill out the following information - Network name SSID - Security type and key or passphrase quot and then I am able to log into my Netgear Router from my wireless notebook connection but I can t find any place to enter a network name I ve also tried setting the network name on my Vista machine to the same network name of my XP machines made my network type private and turned on Network discovery File sharing Public folder sharing Password protected sharing as described on the Microsoft site http technet microsoft com en-us library bb aspx Follows is my IP configuration from my wireless Vista Notebook Any help that can be offered would be appreciated even if its just to tell me it can t be done Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Eldridge Solved: Adding Vista wireless notebook to wired XP network gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Eldridge-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List austin rr com Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix austin rr com Description Realtek RTL B Wireless b g Mbp s USB Network Adapter Physical Address - - - - -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d b c ae Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday November PM Lease Expires Sunday December AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix austin rr com Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern et NIC NDIS Physical Address -A -D - - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix austin rr com Description isatap austin rr com Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Eldridge gt nbsp

Relevancy 76.11%

hey guys i recently decided it was abt time i linked my vista home premium laptop bit to my desktop XP OS network to add a printer to my wireless home network Ive scanned through forum after forum my to laptop printer network. adding vista desktop - a xp wireless and have tried a few things but i reallly have no idea what im doing The printer is connected via usb to our wireless adding a printer to my wireless network. xp desktop - vista laptop d-link router that is adding a printer to my wireless network. xp desktop - vista laptop printing server capable and when i connect it im not even able to print from my desktop any ideas ive also tried adding the printer from both my dektop and laptop through the wizards quot locally quot as ive read but still have had no luck yet Ive tried searching for it from the laptop on the network but it doesnt find it Ive got a brother HL- so im pretty sure its compatable If any one can provide me with step by step instructions or any help at all it would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/221335-adding-printer-my-wireless-network-xp-desktop-vista-laptop.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi I ve just got a new laptop Dell Inspiron Celeron Dual Core T Dell Wireless Vista SP Home Basic with Media Not a New no system, wireless have XP longer process in adding of Vista to network! comp, liking Vista I decided to re-install my old Windows XP Home Edition SP I had already set up the Wireless connection so I went online and got information on how to install this new OS whilst keeping the Vista one on the same HD I set New comp, in process of adding XP to a Vista system, no longer have wireless network! up a new partition installed XP and now can t access Vista or get any wireless I ve tried going into Network Connections but I don t have a wireless connection icon New comp, in process of adding XP to a Vista system, no longer have wireless network! there s no choice for searching New comp, in process of adding XP to a Vista system, no longer have wireless network! for local wireless connections amp I m completely flummoxed I was using this post - http www howtogeek com howto wind on-your-pre-installed-windows-vista-computer - to boot into XP and the next stage to enable booting into Vista requires I download VistaBootPro Anyway I ve tried to find out how to restore my wireless - I ve re-installed the XP System Software which was for an earlier Dell Inspiron model btw tried installing the ISP Eurotools system software as well I have tried to set up a new network connection etc but obviously what I really need is for my laptop to detect the available wireless connections so I can re-join the wireless network we use throughout the house I m currently borrowing my dad s laptop and am really hoping someone will know how I can fix this problem Also please note that I m mostly a novice at computers so I d really appreciate step by step instructions on how to correct this hopeful Thanks in advance nbsp

A:New comp, in process of adding XP to a Vista system, no longer have wireless network!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-comp-in-process-of-adding-xp-to-a-vista-system-no-longer-have-wireless-network.849464/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have been experiencing wireless wifi connection problems with my HP Pavilion dv laptop I am running xppro I went from vista to xp pro took a long time network adding adapter G wireless dv6000, HP wireless Belkin Pvilion as I am slow Anyway I read that you can add another wireless network card as a work around in the event that the internal wireless card breaks dies I bought a BelkinWirelss G USB network adapter- F D and tried to install it on this HP Pvilion dv6000, adding Belkin wireless wireless G network adapter laptop I was able to install it on my IBM T and Gateway laptop I had to disable the radio on the gateway before it worked The IBM is HP Pvilion dv6000, adding Belkin wireless wireless G network adapter old and has no built in wireless card ON my HP pavilion dv I slid the wireless button to disable and also went into device manager and disable there too For some reason after loading the Belkin in it does not find any wireless networks I called Belkin and spoke with their help desk but they were not helpful My question short of disabling my HP wireless card do I have to remove the actual software uninstall broadcom so the computer will look only at the belkin software My HP laptop warrantied expired months ago Any help would be appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-pvilion-dv6000-adding-belkin-wireless-wireless-g-network-adapter.802008/
Relevancy 65.79%

I have an Actiontec GT701-wg DSL modem running a wireless network. I currently have two laptops with XP sharing the Internet connection. Since the modem has an open Ethernet port in the back, I was wondering if it might be possible to plug in a networkable external hard drive and have it available to both of the laptops wirelessly.

If it is possible, what setting would be required on the laptops to enable them to see the external drive?

Thanks!

Relevancy 64.07%

Attempting to install D-Link Wireless G Router DI-524 after installing Actiontec DSL GT701 modem and wireless gateway. When I type in the URL address into my web browser it opens up the installation wizard for the Actiontec modem rather than the D-Link Wizard.

Both installation wizards have the same address.

What do I need to do to install the D-Link Wireless G Router?

Relevancy 64.07%

I have an existing wireless network on a Seimens Speadstream 6520 and I would like to add some range to cover dead spots. I also have a Linksys WRT54G-RG lying around. Can I use the WRT54G-RG as a kind of repeter or something to that effect or should I go with an actual range expander?

A:adding wireless router to wireless network

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-wireless-router-to-wireless-network.816179/
Relevancy 64.07%

Let me start from the beginning. From what I've read and seen the best way to have a home network and Internet connection is this config. - DSL modem (mine is actiontec wireless gateway) connected to the Router (dlink dl 624) connected to a switch (dlink). I did disable the wireless portion of the dlink router but can only get Internet connection from one computer (xp pro). I can't get anything from the other computer (xp home). Plus I can't see any of the other computers from either machine. Also, I can only access the dlink router to change things and not the modem.

Sorry for the huge request...

Broby

A:Adding wireless network to DSL wireless setup

Please don't hijack another thread to post your problem. I've already answered this in your duplicate thread.

Closed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-wireless-network-to-dsl-wireless-setup.422851/
Relevancy 63.64%

Here is my network config.

PC A <wired> wireless 2wire gateway
Xbox 360 <wireless> wireless 2wire gateway

need to add

PC B <wireless> wireless 2wire gateway

Both PCs are running Win XP. Have gone through network wizard to add PC, both have same network, "Home" and same WEP.

I see 2wire gateway in the list of wireless connections on PC B but when I click on it to connect to that network I get an error message...
Code:
Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of availiable networks, and try to connect again
Am I missing setting a configuration?

Relevancy 63.64%

Is there built in wireless functionality or what can I do to connect this wirelessly?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-ps3-to-my-wireless-pc-network.633195/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have an existing network using a hard wire. (I believe it is a cross over.)

I also have a Belkim wireless G router that I added to the system to allow for internet access. (I have a Mac witeless laptop that accesses the web.)

I now want to add Psykiapa's Toshiba laptop to the system. It runs Vista.

Our main computer is a PC running win98SE
The seondary PC is running Win XP. Neither has a wireless card.

What do I need to do to get her connected?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-wireless-laptop-to-the-network.559581/
Relevancy 62.78%

hi i have a brand new laptop i need to added to my wirless network, it has detected it on the laptop yet when i click connect it says that it is "unable to connect it may longer be available please refresh and try again"

i have added the mac address via the routers IP address
i have entered the WEP key into the laptop settings correct. i just dont know why it wont connect?

any help please?

Relevancy 62.78%

I have an AMD 906 MHz 384 Ram desktop thats running on XPHome SP2 and a Celeron 2.6 GHz 192 MB Ram (recently installed XPHome SP2) that are networked using a Linksys DSL router. I have a couple of questions that I need help with please:
1. The network connection is not longer visible... I've tried to ping the other machine without success.
2. I suspect that the Security settings are blocking the network. How do I reset those to allow the network connections?
3. I have been given a Linksys wireless Model WAP11 that I would like to add to the system. How do I do that and how can I ensure the security on the network when using the laptop wireless?

Thank you
Rim shot

A:Adding wireless laptop to network

I would setup the wireless without security first. after it works, add security settings. this page may help, http://www.chicagotech.net/wireless.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-wireless-laptop-to-network.365730/
Relevancy 62.78%

doesn't seem to be working. i just need to share files between the computers. it is a desktop with a d-link wireless card in it. it isn't showing any available networks to connect to, and i really don't know much else that i can try.

help me out!!
i know that the other computers are on a workgroup, how do i add the new one to that workgroup? and if i do that, will i get the internet connection as well?

Relevancy 62.78%

I recently obtained a Samsung CLX FW color laser printer The following network a printer, adding wireless is a window copy of the TSG SysInfo of my computer as a starting point The printer is suppose to be wireless but I can t get it to hook up to my network I have contacted Samsung and have done everything they could think of but no luck I took adding a network printer, wireless it to another location and another router it made the wireless connection with no difficulties So what do I do Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate bit Processor AMD Phenom tm II X Processor AMD Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB G adding a network printer, wireless Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB I Total - MB Free - MB J Total - MB Free - MB K Total - MB Free - MB L Total - MB Free - MB M Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC M A -E Rev xx MS C B Antivirus System Shield Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Okay, 1st of all I know next to nothing about Apples, but here goes. I have someone with a Linksys WRT54GC router on their network. She would like to be able to hop on with her Apple. It is running Mac OS 9.2.1 and Airport v. 1.3.1. I've not attempted to add an Apple to a network before. I did go into the area where you add networks and found the router. It saw the router, but it kept going back & forth between getting "status update" to "no status update." I'm not at that site, but if anyone has any tips on what I should be looking for/doing, I'd appreciate it. If you need to know something else about the Apple, please be specific on where to find the info as I don't know my way around them much at all. I just hunt & click. Thanks so much.

A:Adding a IBook to a Wireless network

I take it i'm not the only one who knows next to nothing about Apples?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-ibook-to-a-wireless-network.577276/
Relevancy 62.78%

I purchased the HP Photosmart 5510 wireless printer yesterday and I have been unable to add it to my wireless network.

I have gone through the wizard setup on the printer itself and was able to find and log on to the wireless network. The printer indicates I am connected, but when I attempt to complete the software installation on the computer, it stalls during the checking network environment and does not complete. I have tried going through the add a printer process, but it hangs during the searching for network printer check. I do not have a firewall running that would prevent its detection.

I was able to add the printer using a USB cable, but I need it to be wireless and not located next to the Dell.

Any thoughts?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-wireless-hp-printer-to-my-network.1041761/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi all I m hoping someone might be able to help me in setting up network wireless to Adding wired a wired network on top of an existing wireless one Setup is as follows Downstairs Linksys E wireless router Dell laptop Adding wired network to wireless wireless adapter Upstairs Dell Inspiron Linksys AE wireless adapter Both systems running Windows and work fine Problem is I have a printer upstairs that s too far from my printer to connect with USB without losing signal quality I have an ethernet cable running to it from when my desktop used to be wired to the Adding wired network to wireless network I would like to simply Adding wired network to wireless add one of my extra routers dlink dlink M or the wired EBR and connect my desktop and my printer Dell cn so that I can print without having to buy a wireless adapter for my printer Is this possible When I first set it up I lost my internet connection as it immediately picked up the new router as the internet connection even though I don t have it connected to the internet and don t want to Any help would be greatly appreciated Ryan nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

Hello All,

I want to add a wireless router to our network. We have a T1 that comes into Router that only my ISP has access to. Next inline is a Sonicwall firewall that I have setup. Sonicwall is Nat Enables, I do not use dhcp, all of my devices are statically mapped pointing towards the firewall as my gateway server. Behind my firewall are several switches connecting around 100 devices.

Couple other things, I don't care if the wireless devices connect to my network. I just want internet access for anyone that connects wireless. (mostly for iPads, etc)

I do have a free DMZ port on my Sonicwall. Is it possible to use that?

Also, would I connect the wireless router to an ethernet port coming off the switch?

I have tried several attempts and can't seam to get internet access.

Thanks in advance!

A:Adding Wireless to a Static Network

I would use a wireless access point and not another router. Give it an IP address on your LAN, set up security and you should be good to go.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-wireless-to-a-static-network.1012861/
Relevancy 61.92%

Ok I Just Got a Wireless Router and after spending 7 Straight Hours trying to get it to work on my Laptop....

I realize That IE is Messed Up and Does Not Have anything In Internet Options There is no NetWorks to Connect to. Nothing what so Ever

Upon thinking "I'll just click on "Add" and that will solve my Problem" But no. I just makes some New Connection that I have no idea where its spose to be.

All I want to know is How can I add a Wireless Network to the Connections Box in the Internet Options Menu?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/67756/adding-wireless-network-to-internet-explorer/
Relevancy 61.92%

Equipment: CIsco PIX501 Firewall router & Netgear wireless router

Situation: Everything at my company is connected on the LAN via wires. I would like to set it up so that the wireless router is on the same network as everything else so the portable devices can share the same resources on the wired connection. How can I achieve this?

Relevancy 61.92%

We ve got an existing wired network and have just wireless network our existing a Adding router to bought a wifi router to hopefully add wireless connectivity to what we ve already got set up I don t want to replace the existing router if I Adding a wireless router to our existing network don t have to in the past I set up a server in-house and don Adding a wireless router to our existing network t want to have to go through Adding a wireless router to our existing network the setup of that again and risk screwing it up Anyway I ve looked online and tried a couple of things Setting the wifi router s IP to one within the range of the existing network with a unique number on the end This allowed wireless connection to the network but not to the internet connection Then following a guide I found online set the IP to one outside of the range of the current network and simply disabled the DHCP This now allows wifi connection to the internet but not the network Is there any way of setting up wireless connection to the existing setup both the network and the internet Go easy on me I m not familiar with too many of the technical terms What for example is a network bridge nbsp

A:Adding a wireless router to our existing network

Sorry- figured it out!!!

If setting the IP address to within the range enabled internet, and setting it outside the range but disabling DHCP allowed network access, I combined the two and set the IP address back to one within our current network range, but with DHCP still disabled. Bingo! Wireless connection to both the network and the net!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-wireless-router-to-our-existing-network.690487/
Relevancy 61.92%

Firstly I appreciate that the PC's in this scenario are running Windows XP but this is fairdinkum to only place I trust for the correct information Basically I want to set up a latop Network existing Wireless Adding Laptop to a in a small Adding a Laptop to existing Wireless Network business same as if it was at home I presume to share an internet connection with an existing Wireless network The current set up is Adding a Laptop to existing Wireless Network a destop PC running XP ADSL line running to a wireless router Wincomm destop connected by cable to router Laptop upstairs connected wirelessly to this set up I have an XP Laptop for it I bought a rather cheap USB Netgear Wireless G USB Adaptor WG v I can pickup lots of secured and unsecured routers but not the one as described above I know what the workgroup name is Basically I have forgotten how to set up XP gee I can do it if it was vista My gut feeling is I have the wrong Wireless Adaptor for the third XP Laptop I'm not sure if I really want to join the network as such as the XP laptop I want to add has shared folders for when the XP comes home and connect it to the home network What are my options Thanks for your help

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/207396-adding-laptop-existing-wireless-network.html
Relevancy 61.92%

hello...i'm trying to add a notebook to my wireless connection. I've entered the wep key and the icon in the tray says it's "connected" and the signal strength is excellent. However, when I look at the network connection, the icon says "enabled"...not "connected." If I start my browser, it says the page is unavailable offline and yadayada. What am I doing wrong and how do I connect it to my wireless network?

Thanks!

js

A:adding notebook to wireless network problem

I'd start by turning off WEP on the router as a test and make sure everything else is configured correctly. The most common cause of a failure to connect with WEP is a mis-matched key. Use ONLY the hex key entry, don't use the ASCII passcode option.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-notebook-to-wireless-network-problem.386453/
Relevancy 61.92%

I am helping a friend install a wireless tp-link router to his existing network. Currently he has a modem connected to a non-wireless linksys 8-port router. I was just going to run a network cable from his linksys to the tp-link wireless router.
His linksys gives a local IP range of 1-150. Can I just give the wireless tp-link an ip of 192.168.1.151 and make sure the subnet mask is the same? then do my encryption. But is it as easy as just setting the ip and making sure the subnet mask is the same?
Thanks for your help.
Senna

Relevancy 61.92%

Hello!
I need help here!

Windows Xp
2wire router

I'v just bout a usb network adapter for my desktop computer.
I'v installed the usb network adapter to the desktop computer, but when i disconnet the ethernet port from the compter im still unable to access the interent! (even thou i've installed the the wireless G USB NETWORK ADAPTER)

I rcvd the following error msg
"You might not be able to access the internet or some network recources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer."

Anyhelp is appreciated thank you!

A:Adding Desktop Computer Network Via USB Wireless

would you post a ipconfig and look in device manager as follows

start>
control panel>
system>
hardware tab>
device manager button>

network adapters
click on the + sign

post backs whats there

also any ! X or ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all

TWO Methods to do that - some people have problems with ONE----

ONE ---------------------------------
start
run
cmd
ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

TWO -----------------------------------------------

Start, Run, CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
download this software using the LAN connection
lets see if it can detect your wireless adapter and wireless signal
Free software to check signal strength of wireless is netstumbler 0.4.0 available for download from http://www.stumbler.net/

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Network-Monitoring/NetStumbler.shtml

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/303-netstumbler.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-desktop-computer-network-via-usb-wireless.678883/
Relevancy 61.92%

I am trying to help a friend add wireless to his business Currently he has an -port non wireless router of those ports are taken up and one port is free Iwas going to run a ethernet cable to a tp-link tp-WR N wireless router that I have The Linksys gives out an ip range from - So I have given the network wireless adding existing device a to an Help tp-link and IP address of and I have turned off DHCP on the tp-link I was unable to connect anything wireless From talking to friends and doing a little bit of reading it sounds like the tp-link wont work in this situation I am thinking about buying an wireless access Help adding a wireless device to an existing network point to do the job Does this sound like the right thing for me to do Here is an access point that I was looking at http www amazon com Cisco-Linksys- amp sr - Do you think this will be ok for what I need Any advise or help you could provide would be greatly appriciated Thanks Senna nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

I have two PC's that are hard wired into a network using a cross over cable. I do use a wireless router to access the net for a MAC.

I now want to add a laptop PC. If I add a wireless card to one of my PC's will it hook up to the network?

A:Adding a wireless laptop to a wired network.

I'm not sure how the crossover cable enters into the mix, why aren't those machines connected to the router? Since you have a wireless router and you have a MAC connecting through it, you should be able to use it with the laptop as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-wireless-laptop-to-a-wired-network.562183/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a high speed cable ISP. My home is wired with cat 5 cable operating from a wired modem. I would like to put a computer in a place that isn't wired, but I would like to keep the wired connections operating. Does anybody know if you can add a wireless router to an existing wired system and how to accomplish this?

A:Adding Wireless to an existing wired network

You can do this 3 ways. 1) Buy a WAP and hook it up to the existing router at any point it can even use your prexisting cat 5 wiring as a piggy back if you want it in another room closrt to your wireless PC/laptop/or periphrial you want wireless. This effectively gives you a wireless beacon on your wired network. 2) The other way you can do it is buy a wireless router and replace your wired router. 3) You can buy a wireless router and disable all router functions such as DHCP and whatnot and hook it up to your existing lan cabling using one of the internal 1-4 ports not the WAN port.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-wireless-to-an-existing-wired-network.437691/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have the following setup, which works fine:
Broadband cable comes in and connects to a cable modem. Connected to the cable modem is a wired router, which can accept 4 ethernet cables. I have 2 desktop computers connected to the router; 2 ports are vacant. These computers do not have wireless cards.

I also have a laptop, with a wireless card. I want to use the laptop throughout the house. I just inherited a D-Link DI-524 wireless router. Will the wireless router work if I connect it to one of the vacant ports on the wired router, rather than directly to the cable modem?

Relevancy 61.92%

Recently we have added another computer to our household and decided to use a wireless router to share the internet connection. I need help figuring out how to add the printer on the main computer to be able to use it on the extension PC...any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Ssnider20

Edit: Do not refer to a computer as "CPU"

A:adding a printer to a home wireless network

i think you just have to make the printer shaerable on the network, as the internet connection sharing through the wireless router already forms a network.

You can just right click on the printer after installing in main computer, go to properties and then to sharing. . and you have everything before you. Make sure you allow the extension computer to be accessible i.e, not stopped by the firewall.

Edit: Do not refer to a computer as "CPU"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-a-printer-to-a-home-wireless-network.36176/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hey everyone this is my first post on the techguy forums... I work for a small business and we have a network containing 6 locations within about 75 yards of each other and within 3 buildings. I didn't do any of the networking except hooking up 1 vista computer ot the current network. I just got dragged into the equation because it's what I'm in school for. Right now there is 2 vista OS and 4 XP OS I believe. I have the network all hooked up, but I can't seem to transfer any files between computers... The two computers I am trying to transfer is XP and a Vista. The error message comes up as

"Cannot copy (whatever the file name is): Access Denied
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

This is where I want to start on this problem. Thanks all!

A:Adding and maintaining Wireless/Wired network

Try this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-and-maintaining-wireless-wired-network.729261/
Relevancy 61.92%

Almighty forum, I come in need of help!

I'm a student in Sixth Form, and it's my job to organise the theatre tech, and we're trying to get our own wireless network for our kit.

We have a wireless router, (Dlink DI-524, a couple of years old, and all the cables), and I have a basic knowledge of networking, such as DHCP servers and so on, but I don't know how to set it up. We have a working LAN port, so access isn't a problem. And we know the server address. As much as we'd like the IT dept. to do it, or to at least tell us how, they're unbelievably lazy and won't do either.

So, could someone offer some help and instruction for me? If any more info is needed, I'll get it.

Thanks in advance!

A:Adding a wireless access point to a network?

do you have there permission (IT dept) to do this
put a PC onto the working LAN port and post an ipconfig /all
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should also work for windows 8
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-wireless-access-point-to-a-network.1086374/
Relevancy 61.49%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Celeron R one adding wireless Problem Solved: wired to network CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R G Graphics Controller Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB G Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB I Total - MB Free - MB J Total - MB Free - MB K Total - MB Free - MB L Total - MB Free - MB P Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Intel Corporation D GLVA Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled Hi - this is my first attempt at wireless and it s not going well Existing setup is Speedtouch ADSL router with output - gt small -port Solved: Problem adding wireless network to wired one ethernet hub - gt desktops and various temporary laptop connections The desktops and the router gateway have fixed IP addresses and the laptops just plug in and work - DHCP presumably This has worked for years along with powerline plugs for the laptops Now I want to add a wireless extension instead of the powerline The access point is a TP-LINK TL-WA ND All its lights are showing correctly I have plugged it into the hub with the idea of setting it up via this XP desktop Maybe this is my first mistake The quick-start guide said to connect it to the computer bring up the browser and type in the url Don t think that s a secret which I did but all I got was a blank screen - not so much as a not found So following their troubleshooting tips I went to the Networking Connections on the XP to add the address the instructions said to right-click Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection - sounds so simple - only there was no mention of wireless just LAN or high-speed Internet I tried the wizards - for adding things but there was no mention there of wireless either I pinged that address but it timed out End of narrative Conjectures follow I am running ZoneAlarm Free - a source of trouble in the past Maybe I should have plugged the AP directly into the PC Maybe I need a driver Here I must confess that I must have taken the paper Quick Start Guide out of the package to read it some time ago and it never went back and there may have been a CD as well don t remember I went on to the TP-LINK site and downloaded the manual and the guide but there was no mention of a CD in the guide Help please anyone Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 61.49%

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to add a wireless add on to a 4 port cable/dsl gateway router so that I can access the internet on my laptop through wireless connection using my existing network setup (wired). It is a Belkin gateway router. Hope someone can advise. Thanks.

Ammo

A:Adding wireless network capability to wired router

You might check the company to see if they have an add-on but more than likely you have to buy a modem with a wireless gateway or go buy a wireless access point. What is the model of the modem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-wireless-network-capability-to-wired-router.54093/
Relevancy 61.49%

Greetings to all the technogurus Skietax has returned with another problem that will test your knowledge to it s limits ok not really So here s the Solved: Network Adhoc Wireless Adding to Connection situation I have successfully set up a wireless network using a Linksys router Thank goodness for easy to use software lol despite being network stupid So far there are two computers a desktop running Solved: Adding Adhoc Connection to Wireless Network XP and a laptop running Vista a Wii my iPod touch and a Blu-ray Solved: Adding Adhoc Connection to Wireless Network player all playing nicely together I recently acquired an older desktop again Solved: Adding Adhoc Connection to Wireless Network with XP that I initially added to the network via a physical connection to the router simply to get it on the internet and get it on the network hassle free No problems there My plan for desktop is to connect it to desktop via a crossover cable so I can use both simultaneously Currently I have them connected Checking my Linksys Easylink Advisor Desktop is recognized as being on the network and my control scheme I use Input Director to control both machines from one keyboard mouse confirms this The problem Desktop can t get on the internet The Question How come And how do I fix it Ok that s two questions Sorry nbsp

Relevancy 61.49%

Hi everyone,

I managed to add an access point wireless router. I have 5 sales people that like to be able to email to costumer. Now, I can not seems to get those laptops to see the servers? they have access to the internet but I am not sure what I am suppose to do to set them up to see the network.

Is it the setting on the wireless router or because I set it up as access point? as you can already notice I am not too familiar with networking....!
Anyhow I have a Netgear WGT624v3 again I configured it as an access point they can surf the internet just fine.. BUT how can I do so they have access to out wire network??

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

AMD2800

Relevancy 61.49%

We bought a new wireless router for our home network a D-link DIR- I haven t had any trouble with it so far I had issues connecting my ps but I ve since figured it out The only problem I ve had is connecting an older desktop of mine wirelessly It uses windows adding network pc to older Solved: trouble wireless XP and it is able to find and connect to the network but for some reason even though it says it s connected it doesn t work When I check the network status it shows Solved: trouble adding older pc to wireless network that it s not receiving any information well if it does it s at a ratio of for the send receive My only guesses as to why it s not actually working which are likely to be wayyyy off are that A the data encryption key is set to WEP on my computer but the router is set to something like WPA or something like that Please don t quiz me on what that means B I ve heard that I might need to update the firmware for the router but then why would every other wireless device in my house work Thanks in advance for any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

I have an existing network, all Dell with Netgear router working fine, file sharing printer sharing etc great. New (Dell) laptop on Vista cannot see other computers, their files or the printer which is connected to one of the XP systems. Vista machine shows as connected to the router and I have internet on the Vista machine. All PC's are on the same workgroup. Dell says it's not a Vista problem (haha) and I know enough to know I need help with this. BTW, it's my wife's new laptop so if you're married you understand how anxious I am to fix this.

A:Adding Vista PC to network with XP's

jtwilburt said:

I have an existing network, all Dell with Netgear router working fine, file sharing printer sharing etc great. New (Dell) laptop on Vista cannot see other computers, their files or the printer which is connected to one of the XP systems. Vista machine shows as connected to the router and I have internet on the Vista machine. All PC's are on the same workgroup. Dell says it's not a Vista problem (haha) and I know enough to know I need help with this. BTW, it's my wife's new laptop so if you're married you understand how anxious I am to fix this.Click to expand...

Did you try waiting a while , then rebooting, to see if the laptop could 'see' the other computers? Sometimes it can take a while before the router finally 'wakes up' and realizes there's another computer out there.

As for the printer, did you install the drivers included in Vista on the new laptop (don't use the disc that came with the printer unless it's a newer one that is Vista compatible). Just went through this with my new computer over the weekend.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-vista-pc-to-network-with-xps.615742/
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a 3 XP PC network. I want to add a Vista pc. The linksys wireless network is secure. I cannot get the Vista pc to see the XP PC network and vice versa. I need to share files and printers just like when I took off the computer I'm replacing. I gave the vista pc my workgroug name and it says its connected. Stepping back, When I first fired up the vista it did connect through the router straight to the internet. It just won't recognize the network at the router. i've tried all the help stuff. It supposed to be set-up corretly.

A:Solved: Adding vista PC to a XP network

See if this helps: PC Chuck's Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-adding-vista-pc-to-a-xp-network.739874/
Relevancy 60.2%

I recently purchased an Xbox live for my son to use. We have two newer Dell computers on our network and sharing a cable connection. How do I add the Wireless G Linksys Game adapter? I put it to my son's computer in his room-hooked to his RJ-45 on his computer console. When I go back to my computer to set it up, it cannot be found. The main cable connection is on my computer as is the Linksys G woreless router. He already has an antenna-G device hooked to his computer to share the broadband. What am I doing wrong?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-problem-adding-game-adapter-to-linksys-wireless-g-network.284290/
Relevancy 60.2%

I've seen a number of posts about this, so I wondered if any of you would find this paper useful. Have a read and post what you think about it. (I am not the author...)

http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/casestudies/1551.php

A:Adding and securing a Public Wireless Access Point within a home network

I think this is not exactly what most people are interested in but for me personally it's a very useful paper since we have to provide wireless access to people attending training courses etc and it's always a pain to arrange it so our internal network doesn't get flooded by infected Windows laptops.

Lots of spelling/word glitches in the paper..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-and-securing-a-public-wireless-access-point-within-a-home-network.24784/
Relevancy 59.77%

I'm new to Vista and am having trouble adding my network printer to a Toshiba laptop I recently purchased that runs Vista Home Basic. My old laptop was on Windows XP as the desktop that is "home" for the printer. I've checked to make sure the Vista laptop is in the same workgroup but no matter what I do I'm unable to "see" the printer on the network map. Any suggestions?

A:Solved: Adding Network Printer in Vista

Did you share the printer on the XP PC?
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic47775.html

Check the windows firewall on the XP PC?
http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/firewall.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-adding-network-printer-in-vista.756747/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi

I am having difficulties added a vista os laptop to my current Win2K / XP network.

The laptop shows up on my 2Wire router home network (both LAN and Wireless) and in Computer Near Me on my Win2K PC. However I cant access the network from the Vista laptop. I cant connect to, or locate the network printers, on the other two PC's. I also cant access any shared folders i have set up on the other two PC's.

I have configured Zone Alarm on the Win2K to trust the wireless and LAN IP addresses.

The laptop and two PC's are in a MSHOME workgroup.

What am i doing wrong.

Thanks

A:Adding a Vista Laptop to an existing network

Take a look at PC Chuck's Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together. Also, the information in File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista may help you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-a-vista-laptop-to-an-existing-network.739779/
Relevancy 58.48%

Have an existing XP network with a Linksys 5 port workgroup hub. Puled the RJ-45 out of a working station and plugged it into the RJ-45 jack on the Vista Notebook.

The Vista notebook sees the hub, and can get internet connection through the XP desktop on the network, but neither computer can see the other.

A message tells me that IPv4 connectivity is enabled, but that IPv6 connectivity is limited.

Both computers are sharing everything, and both users have accounts set up on both computers, with password protected sharing on.

Why can't either computer see the other?

A:Adding Vista Notebook to existing wired Ethernet Network

http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-vista-notebook-to-existing-wired-ethernet-network.649640/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have somewhat similar problem to the one described in http forums techguy org networking -solved-networking-vista-laptop html I have two desktops running XP home SP connected through Netgear wireless router and I have no problems accessing the files on either of them I now have a new laptop with Vista home premium edition and ran the network wizard I can access the files from Vista laptop to Solved: network home working already Adding the laptop but can not access the laptop from either of the desktop All are running zone alarm free edition and AVG free I probably need to put the ip address in the Solved: Adding Vista laptop to already working home network trusted zone in zone alarm but am not sure what the address should The ip address given by what is my ip address is very Solved: Adding Vista laptop to already working home network different from x x and running ipconfig all on the laptop gives me an IPv address which changes from time to time once it gave me another time the last three digits were slightly different Turning off zone alarm temporarily of course did not help Many thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

Mind your Bs Ns and Gs as we break down the ABCs and many Ws of Wi-Fi The popularity of home networks has increased dramatically over the last decade a phenomenon which can be directly attributed to the increase in broadband availability Wi-Fi Wireless Basics: Web to A Guide Begininers the but credit is also due to the accessibility that Wi-Fi provides to consumers Not only are Wi-Fi products easy to configure and Wi-Fi Basics: A Begininers Guide to the Wireless Web relatively inexpensive to implement but many home computing devices have wireless radios pre-installed While connecting to a wireless network can be as simple as a few button presses or taps there is a lot that goes into making the bits magically travel through the ether We re going to take a look at some of the building blocks that go into making your wireless network stable and fast with an eye toward security and standards We ll also cover some of the devices that can improve your wireless network and ways you can use your Wi-Fi while away from home Read more at Maximum PC Wi-Fi Basics A Begininers Guide to the Wireless Web

A:Wi-Fi Basics: A Begininers Guide to the Wireless Web

Excellent article, thanks Brink, i have added this bit of info to a speed dial setting for easy access , when needed.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/293141-wi-fi-basics-begininers-guide-wireless-web.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Quote Mind your Bs Ns and Gs as we break down the ABCs and many Ws of Wi-Fi The popularity of home networks has increased dramatically over the last decade a phenomenon which can be directly attributed to Web Begininers A the Basics: Wireless Wi-Fi Guide to the increase in broadband availability but credit is also due to the accessibility that Wi-Fi provides to consumers Not only are Wi-Fi products easy to configure and relatively inexpensive to implement but many home computing devices have wireless radios pre-installed While connecting to a wireless network can be Wi-Fi Basics: A Begininers Guide to the Wireless Web as simple as a few button presses or taps there is a lot that goes into making the bits magically travel through the ether We re going to take a look at some of the building blocks that go into making your Wi-Fi Basics: A Begininers Guide to the Wireless Web wireless network stable and fast with an eye toward security and standards We ll also cover some of the devices that can improve your wireless network and ways you can use your Wi-Fi while away from home Read more at Maximum PC Wi-Fi Basics A Begininers Guide to the Wireless Web

A:Wi-Fi Basics: A Begininers Guide to the Wireless Web

Thats a really useful article.

Thanks Brink.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/192569-wi-fi-basics-begininers-guide-wireless-web.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Both computers, PC and laptop, connect to internet OK.
Should I be able to delete email and files on the PC from
the laptop and vice versa?

Relevancy 58.48%

Don t know much about Home Networks but my brother-in-law claims to have had one set up for him Have been troubleshooting some other stuff for him via CrossLoop and he asked me to set up printer sharing for his wireless laptop so he could use the printer connected to his Desktop As best I can tell his quot home network quot looks like this The laptop Network Home basics wireless connects to the Internet via his Linksys router which serves as a wireless access point and also as the Ethernet cable router for his Desktop don t know if I m getting the terminology correct here I followed the excellent screenshot Home Network basics instructions on the lifehacker site at http lifehacker com software step-by-step share-a-printer-on-your-home-network- php but I got as far as Step and found no listing And when I looked on his Desktop quot Network Neighborhood Home Network basics quot I DIDN T see his laptop computer name listed in fact I didn t see ANYTHING listed If the laptop were networked with the Desktop it should have been listed right If it was then printer sharing could have been enabled right So it looks like he merely has the router as a connection point for both computers SEPARATELY As I understand it the quot Network Setup Wizard quot has to be used to configure both machines for a home network Having the connections as my illustration shows above is certainly necessary but these connections alone are not sufficient by themselves to quot make quot a home network In addition to the hardware connections there needs to be some Windows software configuration Is that correct or am I way off track here BTW he has XP nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

Hi Guys Can some nice person Basics security Network - explain how the security set up for an Infrastructure wireless network works The network is as follows Orange Wireless router connected to a Network Basics - security hub Two computers connected by Ethernet to the hub One of these is the Internet Connection Sharing Host Computer A bridge is connected to Network Basics - security the hub Three Network Basics - security computers connected by Wireless AP device via the Bridge I keep reading that a Wireless router comes with its own firewall I think If this is so do I need a Firewall and Anti Virus software on the computers behind the router Firewall If above is not correct do I need a Firewall and anti Virus on just the Internet Connection Host Computer all others having access only through this gateway If they all need Firewalls and anti Virus is there anything I should note when setting them up Is the Internet Connection Sharing Host computer in this set up a Residential Gateway Many thanks for the help nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,

I've had real trouble locating this particular window in Windows 10. The only way I can get to it is if I create a manual entry for a wireless network. In Windows 7 you used to be able to get to it for existing wireless networks that I had previously connected to. Does anyone have any idea how to get to it? Many thanks

A:Where is the Wireless Network Properties window from W7?

Settings app > Network & Internet > WiFi > Manage known networks. Select a network, click Properties

Wireless Network Profiles - See in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/70127-where-wireless-network-properties-window-w7.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Running Windows 7 Home Premium, I've experienced this issue about five times in the span of two weeks.

When my wireless connection isn't found, sometimes Windows is unresponsive when clicking on the wireless icon near my system clock. It shows either the empty bars with a yellow indicator or the empty bars with a red x. When I try to click and bring up the list of available networks, nothing happens. Even right-clicking doesn't do anything.

Explorer has given an error and needed to shut down three of the five times this error has happened.

Any idea what could be causing this to happen?

Thanks!

A:Wireless Network window freezes?

Quote: Originally Posted by rwkleinjr

Running Windows 7 Home Premium, I've experienced this issue about five times in the span of two weeks.

When my wireless connection isn't found, sometimes Windows is unresponsive when clicking on the wireless icon near my system clock. It shows either the empty bars with a yellow indicator or the empty bars with a red x. When I try to click and bring up the list of available networks, nothing happens. Even right-clicking doesn't do anything.

Explorer has given an error and needed to shut down three of the five times this error has happened.

Any idea what could be causing this to happen?

Thanks!

hi and welcome

there are several things.
first if y ou are NOT using homegroup, you can disable IPv6. it is located in network and sharing.

Second next time it happens type cmd in search>type Ipconfig /flushdns, then ipconfig /renew. let us know if that helps

third
type device manager in search> go to the wifi tab. look for your wifi card, is it listed? does it have a yellow triangle on it? are there any other "unknown devices" with yellow on them?

Let us know the results
Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/38556-wireless-network-window-freezes.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi Everyone,

With new and faster modems available, it is a waste of money to get a 300mb speed when the 150mb speed is still overkill, so is my belief. Can someone please confirm the following as true or false:

1) No matter how fast your modem/router is, your limited to the ISP connection speed.

2) If the modem/router has a usb storage deviced attached, then I can see the 150mb or 300mb speeds being used to connect to a users device. Is that correct?

3) if I'm accessing the internet with more than one device at a time?
Say, a laptop hardwired + an iPad 2 + iTouch will divide the download speed proportionally?

Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Bigg_Brawler

A:Solved: Network Modem - Basics

1) You only get the bandwidth you pay for and most ISP supply the router/modem.
2) False
3) False

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-modem-basics.1031526/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi folks,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get up to speed in understanding how to set up Ubuntu thru VMWare on my Windows XP Home Edition laptop. Does anybody have any pointers on where to begin?

Thanks!

Relevancy 57.62%

Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again.

This message poped up during connecting to a wireless network

this information might be usefull

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jayden Gilchrist>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PC123911455270
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Networ
k Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-DE-B5-17-5C

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-B7-56-59

C:\Documents and Settings\Jayden Gilchrist>

Relevancy 57.62%

i had to strip win10 from this laptop . . . . not suitable for my developed application. what a complex project for a machine have paid good money for! the only net drivers available are for win 10, but the mfgs must have suitable ones available for win 7. any idea who they are for the wireless and the lan chips? i can never go back to win 10 for this machine.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:lan and wireless network drivers for window 7 for HP Notebo...

Hi: According to the parts list for your notebook, it comes with a Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 combination WLAN adapter. http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=N0T83UA Here are the links to the W7 ethernet, wireless and bluetooth drivers you need. This package provides the Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver that enables the Realtek Network Interface Card (NIC) Chip in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71001-71500/sp71268.exe This package contains the driver installation package for the Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE wireless LAN Controller in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp72501-73000/sp72932.exe This package contains the driver installation package for the Realtek Bluetooth in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp73001-73500/sp73250.exe

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/lan-and-wireless-network-drivers-for-window-7-for-HP/td-p/5827182
Relevancy 57.62%

My quot Use window to configure my wireless network settings quot gets unchecked each time I reboot I then have to go into run services msc -- gt Wireless Zero configs and click Use wireless to my Solved: configure network window to start its always stopped then go to properties in wireless connections and recheck the box and wireless internet comes back I tried using a tech support service recommended by lynksys since I m out of warranty on my router stuff and that company they referred me to could not fix it after hours on phone amp phone calls They tried uninstalling all of my lynksys software including going into the registry and deleting references to it They ultimately said because i m using XP its no longer supported and they could do nothing further All this started when I installed new wireless Solved: Use window to configure my wireless network printer Brother MFC DW I couldn t get it working and set up and couldn t get the software to install This company couldn t either I called Brother they got it installed and recognizing printer and wireless connection within minutes but said my wireless problem was not their problem I really Solved: Use window to configure my wireless network feel like it was installing that Brother software that changed something because in the years I ve had this computer which I ve upgraded over years this has NEVER happened I have read other people post this same question but did not understand how they fixed it or if they fixed it I don t speak computer tek so hopefully someone can give me some instruction in lay English on where how to look for culprit I think its related to brother wireless printer Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

Whenever I search in W7, I want to have the ability to open found folders in a new window. If I r-click, that option is not there. Is there a way to add this to W7?

Also: When I go to 'open file location', the file's folder opens in the same window - highly annoying. In Vista, it opens in a new window. Anyway to change this behvior in W7 to act like Vista, so the file opens in a new window?

Thanks!

A:Adding 'open in new window' to search results, & opening in new window

assume this option was there on your windows 7 earlier? did you make any changes to your computer recently?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/214561-adding-open-new-window-search-results-opening-new-window.html
Relevancy 56.33%

IBM thinkcentre, Windows xp sp2, they keep getting the visual basics errors. cannot load any .exe files without getting the visual basics errors. when he tried to show me what files he had opened friday, he couldnt connect to his server.

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a network here at work that is using an NT4.0 server. I have a computer that is running Windows 2000 pro that needs to logon to the domain through a wireless connection (running in a trailer in the parking lot). I can get everything to connect and work if I log into the workstation itself, however if I try to log onto the domain I get an error message indicating that the domain is not available. I know that XP has the ability to initialize the wireless connection prior to login but I can't find anyway to do this with W2K. I am using a Netgear WG121 USB (G) adapter with a Netgear WG602 access point. I have WEP turned on in the open mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-window-2000-with-a-wireless-network-adapter-to-logon-to-nt-domain.367190/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi I m trying to set up network sharing with my Windows laptop advanced sharing settings freezes! network Wireless window and but I ve hit a wall after following guides In the sharing tab of the wireless connection properties window I can check the box to enable shared networking for my Local area connection but the guide I ve seen says I also need to go into advanced settings in the sharing tab as well to check the boxes of all needed networking protocols The only problem is that I can t get into advanced settings Every time I click the settings button in the sharing tab of my wireless connection properties a grey box saying quot please wait quot pops up and the window freezes I can never get past this please wit box and so I can t check the required boxes in advanced settings For reference here s the video guide I was watching http www youtube com watch v bALXVEDUd is where I get stuck Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this freeze and what can be done Wireless network sharing advanced settings window freezes! Also is there another way to check those boxes without going through that settings button Thanks nbsp

A:Wireless network sharing advanced settings window freezes!

Anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-sharing-advanced-settings-window-freezes.1074905/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am about to return this brand new computer running Vista since it won t connect to my exiting computers on my wireless network It will however connect to the wireless netork to get out to the internet Here is what I have Brand new computer runnig Vista home premium Wireless netwrok external netgear ma network tomy connecting on but computers other not vista wireless network connection that can vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network see the internet I am using it now It can see a windows computer as well as my laptop running Windows Xp but when I try to connect to those computers it gives me an error message I googled this problem and disabled my vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network firewalls I created same user accounts on all with same passords I also tried same user accounts with no password neither works Any suggestion before I return this i relaly want to make Vista work since it at last looks different I like new interface - makes my life more interesting - I know VERY SAD Any suggestions nbsp

A:vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-connecting-tomy-wireless-network-but-not-other-computers-on-network.631622/
Relevancy 55.9%

I've tried everything to get it back. In my network connections, it only shows my local area connection. I can't connect to a wireless network, and my wifi light on my keyboard isn't even lit.
I don't have any switches or buttons on my keyboard either that would allow me to enable or disable wireless internet.
I do have a wireless card built into my computer, and I have been able to connect to wireless networks for the three years that I've owned this laptop. It basically just stopped working a few weeks ago.
By the way, it's Windows XP. Anyone have any idea how to get my Wifi back?

A:Wireless Connection icon not showing in Network Connections window or Taskbar

Anyone have any idea how to get my Wifi back?Click to expand...

Let's see if we can find where it went.

What is listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager? What, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager?

What is the brand and model of your laptop?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-connection-icon-not-showing-in-network-connections-window-or-taskbar.956465/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have windows vista home basics and if I recieve or send an email through another programme such as windows 97 it comes out unreadable at the recieving end can anyone help?

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/208136-vista-home-basics-email-problem.html
Relevancy 55.47%

My home network has several componants DSL down up and wireless down up My windows xp computer is connected to the wireless vista ultimate is connected to DSL but both are part of my home network and I am able to share files This part is fine it is hard wired My laptop xp pro wireless or hard wired sees the home hidden network is Vista a my wireless network says home network all is good Problem my tablet vista premium can Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network only connect to wireless down wirelessly is not able to share files Not part of home network file sharing and discovery are on It will connect to home network hard cable and share files when I get thwwat part figured out It is a member of home network Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network How do I correct this Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network problem I am using a DSL modem to a monowall router with wireless to switches through out the house The wireless signal from a different provider Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network through a meg I think anttena also goes to the mono wall router Monowall router is working correctly at least hard wired The purpose of a wireless home network is to sorry be wireless and able to move around and share files Sorry if it is confusing I had it all working with xp Vista is a problem that I have not figured out yet Help

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/181414-vista-says-my-home-network-wireless-hidden-network.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey guys,

I'm havin' a prob... I just got a new Sony FW373J and this is what happens when I try and see my network...
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4562/helpx.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated and I thank whoever in advance.

-Eric

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/233909-network-sharing-window-freezes-vista.html
Relevancy 55.04%

i m using window vista DELL Dimension E command prompt i type quot quot quot ipconfig all quot quot quot this is what i get can anyone help me please T T DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter window wireless Problem access with limited connection vista Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C F-B - D-B D -C EB br B Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Problem with window vista limited access wireless connection Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C F-B - D-B D -C EB br B Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Problem with window vista limited access wireless connection Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address Problem with window vista limited access wireless connection - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C F-B - D-B D -C EB br B Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C F-B - D-B D -C EB br B Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Conn... Read more

Relevancy 54.18%

ok so this problem has been going on for awhile now but has gotten worse somehow...

before i could not access my vista computer upstairs from my xp computer downstairs.

i've made sure the settings are what they should be on the vista computer since i can easily access my xp computer from the vista computer.

now the problem has gotten worse by that i can't access my xp computer from the vista computer or vice versa so now i can't transfer files from each computer. i need to use my external drive or a flash drive.

A:Wireless network problems, Vista/XP network

could you ever access the XP machines from Vista after installing SP3?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/157282-wireless-network-problems-vista-xp-network.html
Relevancy 53.75%

i wonder where can i find mono out on window vista?i went to control panel =>sound=>recording then click show disable device. but i've seen microphone only.i didn't see any other devices.and another problem is my wireless device isn't working.i did update drivers as well.Is it window problem ?I'm using Lenovo notebook G430 (20008).can anyone help me?EDIT: Moved from Introductions to more appropriate forum (Vista) ~ Hamluis.

A:I can't find mono out on window vista and Lenovo G430 wireless device problem

I will move your post to a more appropriate forum for help with your problem. Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/310197/i-cant-find-mono-out-on-window-vista-and-lenovo-g430-wireless-device-problem/
Relevancy 52.46%

I a have a BELKIN Wireless G Plus MIMO router:
Can i connect and file/printer-share btwn 3 laptops with 3 different OS?
One has XP SP2, one has XP Pro XP2, and one (will have) Vista.

Thanks ....

Relevancy 52.46%

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a wireless network at home. I have my main computer with Windows XP installed on it, which is connected directly to the router and my laptop.

My laptop can already access internet through the router. I want these two computers to share files now.
I've gone through the set up process of the wireless network from the XP, where I have uploaded files on the USB key and plugged it into the laptop. After restarting, I can see all the devices and files from my laptop, but I don't see shared filed on the laptop from the main PC. What could be the problem?

A:Wireless network between Vista and XP

Probable cause is a 3rd party firewall (internet security). Assuming you turned on file sharing on the laptop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-between-vista-and-xp.705642/
Relevancy 52.46%

I have 7 computers in my home network. It is a mixed setting, with some laptops (4), some desktops (3): some wired (2) into the router, some on wireless (5), and some with Windows XP (5) and some with Vista (2).

All of this works generally fine, except for one thing: I have one Vista laptop on wireless, and the transfer speed beyween it and the rest of the network is hopelessly slow. Internet access is fine, only transfering files inside the network is MUCH slower than between the XP machines. Also, if I wire the Vista machine, the transfer speed is fine. I also tried with my regular Vista desktop, which normally is wired, but now temporarily on wireless, and the exact same thing happens.

Can anyone explain this?

All help much appreciated.

Jemoto

A:Vista in wireless network

hmm, have you checked firewall settings or anything that could mess with it like that? i can't think of what the problem would be especially if the connection is there(just slow)...

When you test this is it the only pc connected to the network(e.g. is there anything else hogging network attention)... and are there any p2p based applications? (e.g. 4oD/bbc's player?) because i've heard of problems with these...

Cheers,
Jamey

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-in-wireless-network-262155.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I guess that Vista is stumping me. I have a wireless network with Lynksys router. My desktop with XP is connected to the router and my laptop with Vista is set up with wireless network. The two computers have different IP addresses, yet I can't ping them? I can see all the shared files from the desktop on the laptop, but what I want to do is share my pictures and files from my laptop to my desktop. The desktop acknowledges the laptop on the workgroup directory, but I cannot see any laptop files. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

A:Wireless network with Vista and XP

PC Chuck's Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-with-vista-and-xp.779553/
Relevancy 51.6%

i bought my new hp dv2945se laptop from bestbuy last night last night my wireless network did fine now this morning it will not work it has the X over my wireless connection i right click on it and click connect to a network my network is not on there then i click on diagnose why windows can find any additional networks then it says the wireless windows service is not on so i click start windows wireless service then it says windows cannot resolve the problem please contact your network administrator or isp

A:Cant Get Vista Wireless Network To Work

this is the first time ive ever used vista

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/160932/cant-get-vista-wireless-network-to-work/
Relevancy 51.6%

I went out and bought a new laptop yesterday that is wireless enabled so i can use it anywhere in the house. I plugged in my network cable and everything ran fine, not 1 problem! Except when i tried to connect wirelessly i was told that the network settings in XP were incompatible!

I have tried all the different pop down menus of available network jargon and stil no luck!
Does anyone know how i get around this, or have any advise?

Relevancy 51.6%

Ok, so i decided to install a copy of vista RC1. But anyways, I am using a DLink DWL-G122 and I have installed the drivers from my disc, all is working correctly (except the DLink connection manager) But at least the drivers are. But when I go to connect to my network it fails. I have tried wep, wpa, no security. It fails on everyone, I have 3 other computers connected wirelessly, any suggestions? Thnx in advanced

Relevancy 51.6%

I have a linksys wireless N router and a linksys wireless N adapter model WMP300N and its HORRIBLE..keeps disconnecting from the network and its only 2 rooms away..i need a new adapter can anyone help me out please?!

A:Best wireless N network adapter for vista?

Maybe you should investigate why that adapter is having a problem, it could be driver issues, wireless interference, etc. That adapter has a decent reputation, so I'd try to track down the source of the issue before just buying a different adapter. I think you're jumping the gun here on replacement.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-wireless-n-network-adapter-for-vista.775686/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have dell I6400 with vista basic. I also am a computer tech, but don't have enough vista training to figure out this problem. I use my machine just for the MS streets and trips with GPS, since I drive around all day fixing computers. If I have the wireless turned on during the day, it will pick up a wireless network. But, it won't release it when I hit refresh. When I get home, the only way to see my wireless home network is to reboot the machine. I am not currently using any security until I fix this issue, just to eliminate that as an issue. Also, clicking refresh does nothing. Is there a setting that locks in the first available wireless network that vista finds, and won't release it until reboot? Thanks.

A:wireless network issues with vista

You could try

open the command promt and type

netsh wlan disconnect 1 (substitute 1 for the name of the wireless network you cant diconnect from)

Or type at the command promt

netsh wlan connect 2 (substitute 2 for the name of your home wireless lan)

If it works this way you could make a batch file that would save you having to type this every time you get home. Simply create a new text document rename it to something like conenctathome.bat (make sure the extension is changing to .bat from .txt)

Add this line to the text document

netsh wlan connect 2 (again substitute the 2 for the name of your wirless lan)

Save the file and double click it to execute the connect command when ya get home.

This is just a work around though and may or may not work.
There are plenty of other netsh wlan commands that might do the trick for you.

At a command prompt type netsh wlan ?

This will give you a list of commands that can be executed.

Try a few out, I'm not familiar with all of them unfortuantely. could be something to do with you rprofiles though likely its a driver issue, possibly ACPI.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/wireless-network-issues-with-vista-215487.html
Relevancy 51.6%

hi i am using a laptop with vista home and am having daily aggravation i can t connect to wireless network until i do one or all of the following reset nic reset router run vista diagnose and repair restart the computer disable connect won't network. wireless vista to enable wireless lan vista shows wireless networks are available and the name of the network ows up on network and sharing center sometimes when it does vista won't connect to wireless network. connect i get limited or no connectivity when i run diagnose i get different results vista won't connect to wireless network. at different times i am currenly on the network with this laptop and here are the results of ipconfig all Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Rachel gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Rachel Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom g Network Adapter Physical Address - - E- - -D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe db f d a dd Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday July AM Lease Expires Saturday July AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Marvell Yukon E PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller Physical Address - B- - F- -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap B BCA -C EC- - E - E br BF Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e f f fe b Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe f f fe b Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C Users Rachel gt please help nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello I recently bought a windows laptop running vista to do windows testing on for web development I use macs normally I was shocked to find that I can t simply push connect enter a key and then be connected to our home wireless network no of course not because it s windows and nothing is easy or practical Anyhow before I go on an anti windows rant I actually need this working So at home we have a wireless network secured by a bit WEP to connect Can't network on Vista wireless key On our macs I simply push connect enter this key and we re away With my new vista machine I go to Network amp Sharing Center - gt Connect Can't connect to wireless network on Vista to a network and click our network I m then immediately met with a screen that says quot Press the configuration button on your access point quot I have no idea what this means Down the bottom of the screen there is an option that says quot I can t find the configuration button I want to enter the network key or passphrase instead quot Which I click The next screen I click quot Enter Select additional log on information quot but this brings up a user name password login domain screen I just want to enter my bit key and be connected How and where do I do this Please help before I throw this laptop out the window in frustration I m using a D-Link DIR- wireless router Also when I run quot ipconfig quot in the command prompt I get quot Media State Media disconnected quot For all adapters listed Is this right Thanks nbsp

A:Can't connect to wireless network on Vista

You also cannot connect by ethernet?

I'm having trouble understanding why anybody would buy a computer with Vista installed. Is this a used computer? If so, is the OS also pre-used or is it a fresh install?

The next screen I click "Enter/Select additional log on information" but this brings up a user name/ password/ login domain screen... Click to expand...

I'm struggling with understanding where this is coming from. Not a problem with the way you described things; I just don't remember ever running across that when I had Vista.

Try disabling encryption on the router and see if you can get a connection that way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-to-wireless-network-on-vista.1005091/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello all,

Weird problem. I hooked up a linksys device to one of my laptop to change settings on it. Now that I have unhooked it. For some reason, there is no longer a network tab under the properties of my wireless card! I have enabled the wired and wlan config in services but it still will not come back! I'm trying to configure a wireless connection with the internal wireless card like I normally do. The tab is just no longer there! I have no idea why and I'm lost.

Any ideas? Remember this is Vista there is no wireless zero configuration just the wired and wlan config.

A:Wireless network tab missing in VISTA

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista.

Start, All Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-tab-missing-in-vista.807332/
Relevancy 51.6%

I m really hoping someone here can help me I ve just got a new laptop HP Pavillion GB RAM AMD Turion X Windows VIsta Home Premium built-in wireless b g When I was travelling though chicago airport yesterday I was able to connect to the concourse wireless network but upon arriving home to Ireland I have found Solved: and Vista Wireless Network it cannot connect Solved: Vista and Wireless Network to my home wireless network The network uses a NetGear router and is not encypted it DOES broadcast its name and there has never and is still not been any problem for the other computers in the house that run XP and Mac OS When I try to connect with the laptop running Vista I get a message that it is unable to connect as the router does not respond and it suggests the signal is weak or there is interference yet the signal is at full strength and even when i put the laptop directly above the router the situation does not improve When I connect via CAT cable there is no problem - only wireless Has anyone had similar experience Does anyone know how I can rectify this problem Thanks for your time nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Originally set up Broadband on a desktop using the AOL broadband drivers disc and BT Voyager Then an ex-tenant set up a wireless network with a D-Link G T Wireless Modem Router took the BT Voyager Broadband Modem out of the equation and hard-wired the D-Link directly into the desktop This was for our wireless laptops Last year I go rid of the Wireless / Vista Windows Network desktop but the Laptop continued to work as Windows Vista / Wireless Network per norm perhaps I should have loaded the AOL Broadband drivers onto the laptop Then last week my laptop broke and I have replaced it with a new one which has Windows Vista / Wireless Network Windows Vista Home Premium I could get straight onto Windows Vista / Wireless Network the wireless network at my parents isp Toucan but I can t get a wireless connection on mine It was picking up the G T as an Unnamed Network so I typed in G T followed by the security password but to no avail I was however able to hard-wire into the wireless modem and got a connection one evening But now even when doing that it is saying it is connected but Local Area Only and the explorer window crashes Perhaps I need to load upgraded AOL drivers and use and AOL Wireless Modem Router nbsp

A:Windows Vista / Wireless Network

When you are connected via ethernet to the modem/router can you actually communicate with it? If so, login to it and make sure the SSID broadcast is enabled, and look in the WAN (Internet) section to see what you can learn. In that section should be all the stuff you need for connecting to AOL.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-wireless-network.675817/
Relevancy 51.6%

All of sudden, Vista won't save my wireless network auto log on.

After every boot, I have to choose my wireless network despite checking "Save this network" and "Start this connection automatically."
This happened seemingly out of nowhere after months of being able to connect automatically. Any kind soul know of a fix? Thanks.

May be that this is rather an OS problem and should'ave been posted in the Vista forum.

Relevancy 51.6%

In my house I have an airport extreme and then a dsl modem which has wireless. I've always connected to the modem wirelessly as it is faster than using the airport. However after restarting the modem vista will no longer connect to it even though it is working. It will however connect to the airport which is strange as the airport is connected to the modem, so I do know the internet is working. When I diagnose the problem it tells me it's a unknown error. Any help in trying to get connected again to the modem would be a great help. Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-wont-connect-to-wireless-network-240539.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a new PC with Vista Premium.

I have a RTL8187B Wireless USB Dongle that detects and connects to my network.

I can save the profile for my WEP key in the connection wizard that comes on the CD or in windows Wireless connection manager but when I reset both have disappeared.

What am I missing - I have a PC running XP and have set up my wireless network with out problems.

Signal strength is 60-80% and link quality is about 80%

The Dongle box says Vista compatible.

under Manage Wireless networks the net work is set to connect automatically - but after restart the network profile doesn't even exist anymore.

A:Vista Won't Save my Wireless network

Any ideas - Everytime I reboot I have to set up my wireless network again.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-wont-save-my-wireless-network-181518.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have purchased a new Dell laptop with Vista loaded. I am trying to connect this to my existing wireless network where I already have 3 XP laptops connected. I am able to find my network and connect but only have limited access and am not able to connect to the internet. When I look at the connection details, the ip information is not populating. I have also tried to connect directly to obtain the IP addresses but this has not worked. I have tried to manually enter the gateway, subnet IPs but can only obtain limited access. My wireless network is connected to a cable modem and is a secured network. Thank you.

Relevancy 51.6%

Hello Recently I temporarily lost all wireless connectivity to the netgear rangemax wpn version router wireless connect to Vista won't network I share with my upstairs neighbor located in his apartment Connectivity was restored a few minutes later to all computers except for the Vista won't connect to wireless network one running Vista SP XP and reconnected immediately The Vista -bit computer can see the network but cannot connect I have run the network diagnostic tool several times and the result is always the same - the security is incorrect it is not incorrect I have pasted an ipconfig report below If anyone has any suggestions or would be willing to take on my case I would appreciate it Thanks JMundy Windows IP Configuration Host Name Jim-and-Stewart Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix nyc rr com Description Ralink n Wireless LAN Card Physical Address - - B-D -C - D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL C P C P Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC NDIS Physical Address - - A- - E- F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap nyc rr com Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap A B - C- F- C D- FD DB EF B Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/395245/vista-wont-connect-to-wireless-network/