Windows Support Forum

Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance?

Q: Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance?

Hello all I made a post regarding the performance failing of one of my supply power affect hard performance? drive/computer Faulty hard drives The conclusion we came to has unfortunately not resolved my problem and I am beginning to think my Power Supply may be the culprit Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Before I go into details here is my current Hardware Q GHZ GIGABYTE EP -DS R GB PC mhz x gb x gb Nvidia GTX mb requires x pin power adapters Asus Xonar soundcard requires floppy power adapters Windows x Jeantech W PSU modular PSU PCI-E nodes and nodes for other devices gb HDD operating system tb HDD data tb HDD data tb HDD data - added recently ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ My original problem in brief Upon accessing certain files in one of my TB drives I hear a distictive quot click lockup halt quot sound and then the entire system crashes first the drive will become inaccessible then windows explorer will crash followed by the mouse and eventually a BSOD after a minute ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I bought a new TB a month ago to replace what then I thought was a failing TB drive Since the problems have become quot random quot and happen across all four drives tb tb gb tb I am now considering my PSU the culprit Jeantech Absolute w It seems logical to me Sometimes while performing tasks which put stress on several HDD s at the same time my computer is quot choking quot running as fast smooth as it should but with sudden freezes with those HDD quot click - stop - restart quot sounds Booting into windows is failing from time to time freezes on the quot starting windows quot screen or DISK BOOT FAILURE Insert system disk The PSU is modular - could certain quot plugs quot in my PSU are faulty I haven t tested this extensively but in some cases when the computer is not starting up at all using different power ribbon cable combinations seems to help Also I had to remove my DVD drive completely when I first installed the new TB I bought and I don t think my computer will start at all with it plugged in anymore so my PSU MUST be having a hard time coping with all the components If it is of any relevance I use an Nvidia GTX which requires x PCI-E pin power connections hard drives power is supplied via THREE modular ribbon power cables - two HDD s share power from the same ribbon cable lastly worth noting I use an asus Xonar sound card requires floppy power connector several symptoms suggest the PSU any thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance?

a 1000Watt shouldn't have any problem coping with the components that you have, i would recommend that u borrow a power supply from a friend and try it out on your computer, maybe the power supply is old and is not supplying proper voltages on all the rails....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/faulty-power-supply-affect-hard-drive-computer-performance.160966/
Relevancy 80.91%

ok, i have a brand new p4 3ghz with 1gb ddr400 memory, cdrw drive, and a USED 160GB hd. I backed up all the data and went to reformat the drive i nthe new computer. I just notice though that the speed seems slow (i havent installed windows yet or anythihng, but it seems like the boot up screen is 'lagging' and when i press DEL to enter setup it takes like 30 second to go there...

I checked temp and thats fine (35 C). I am really wondering what it could be, the power supply is enough (420W) but it isnt like a great brand, still though I dont think that should make it be this bad....

A:can power supply really affect performance?

A poor output or failing power supply will cause the computer to shut down or crash, but not to "go slow"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-power-supply-really-affect-performance.349033/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hello all. I need some more space and I have a extra 1tb external hd. I want to turn my usb 3.0 external into a sata internal. Will this be the same performance as a regular internal drive with same specs(like if both are 7200rpm). Isn't it the same thing? Or external not made to be as good as internal drives?

A:External Usb 3.0 hard drive used as internal affect performance?

A hard drive will only run at a certain speed.

An external drive is used for storage, no reason for it to be super speedy.

If you want to take apart a perfectly good working external drive to gain a millisecond or 2 of speed, that is your choice.

USB 3.0 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Difference between SATA I, SATA II and SATA III

Need more space, just buy another hard drive for the pc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/364147-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-used-internal-affect-performance.html
Relevancy 92.02%

My dad said he came home the other day and smelled something "electrical" burning and traced it to the computer, so he unplugged it.

I plugged it in to test it, and got a loud horrible sounding beep (so loud i'm not sure if it came from speakers or the hardware??) and then nothing happens Won't boot up. I just hear a vibrating/sickly humming sound in the box that is in the back of the case, with a fan, and as far as I can tell the fan is still spinning, so the noise most likely isn't the fan. Would this 'box' be the power supply? I am guessing so since this is where the power plug goes in at. Also, if it is indeed the power supply, would this problem inflict damage on other components?

Relevancy 90.73%

i turned my computer on the other day hard freezing computer supply after replacing power drive? and and soon smelled smoke computer freezing after replacing power supply and hard drive? about minutes later i heard a pop and my comp shut off it wouldnt turn back on i went to get it checked out and it was the power supply got fried apparently some tiny bugs had gotten into it so i replaced it now when i turn it on it will freeze and restart itself within anywhere from minutes - hours i reinstalled windows to see if that would fix it but nope then i replaced the hard drive which i was planning on doing soon anyway but this did not fix the problem i also tried using a different video card to see if that was the cause but it still froze also removed the ram modules to see if they were the cause no luck now i am guessing that either the motherboard or processor is damaged but is there a way to find out which one before replacing the last thing i want to do is pay more to have someone diagnose the problem Intel Core i - Ivy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Quad Core K Intel i i CPU Fans Coolermaster GeminII M Copper Heat Pipes Extra Quiet Slim CPU fan Intel i i i Motherboards Gigabyte GA-B M-D H Onboard Video DVI amp HDMI X-Fire SATA USB GB LAN DDR Dual Channel memory GB x GB PC DDR Dual Channel PCI-Express Video cards AMD Radeon HD GB PCI Express x dual head DVI HDMI Hard Drives GB Western Digital Blue RPM SATA GB s m cache DVD Recorders LG x SATA DVD Recorder R RW -R RW Sound Cards Realtek HD digital audio onboard Network Cards Ethernet network adapter onboard Cases Apevia X-Dreamer Black amp Blue front USB eSATA LCD temp display Case Fans Dual Case Fans mm Extra Quiet DC fan two fans Power Supply Logisys W Extra Quiet ATX Power Supply SLI amp X-fire ready nbsp

Relevancy 90.73%

Need help with this one. I shut down a computer one night, and the next day I noticed the hard drive light flashing. After examining it I could not turn it off holding the power button in, and it would not boot. Also noticed that the power supply is running. Held button in, and unplugged it, and plug it back in and can boot, but when I shut down, the same thing happens. Have not seen this one before., anyone have any ideas. Not my main computer, just one I set up for my grandkids.

A:Computer Shut Down Hard Drive And Power Supply Still Running

Most likely dying power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-shut-down-hard-drive-and-power-supply-still-running.719189/
Relevancy 85.14%

I recently downloaded something off the internet and one day while using my PC it just shut off and would not turn on again. Every time I plugged it back into the wall the fan would start then shut off but that's it. I shipped it out and got it fixed but now I was wondering if I opened the thing I downloaded would it mess my computer up again? Thanks.

A:Can a virus affect my desktop power supply?

Must be the power-virus ;-p

http://www.computing.net/answers/security/can-a-virus-affect-my-desktop-power-supply/39789.html
Relevancy 85.14%

If i change my power plan from "Balanced" to "High performance" Should my computer be faster in video converting and in games? Does it actually affect the performace of your computer enought for you to notice it.?

A:Does power plan actually affect performance lvl?

Quote: Originally Posted by imeem

If i change my power plan from "Balanced" to "High performance" Should my computer be faster in video converting and in games? Does it actually affect the performace of your computer enought for you to notice it.?

It should. By a barely noticeable amount. benchmark it on balanced then on high and note the difference.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/90152-does-power-plan-actually-affect-performance-lvl.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Two questions that i'd love if you could answer :

1) Will running my PC on High perfomance Power have a chance on burning my power supply easier?
2) Will my bills be bigger if i was to run it in High performance?

Right now ive checked Speedfan and it says my CPU & Core are @ 62 - 65C Is that really bad? if so what can i do? Thanks alot!

Relevancy 84.28%

Do vista power settings on laptops affect just the screen brightness and when it turns off, or does it effect performance itself, such as the processor speed? If they do affect processor speed, by approximately how much (i.e. a percentage).

I'm running a dell xps 1330 with 2gb ram and 2.2 Ghz processor.

Thanks as always,

A:Does changing power settings actually affect performance?

On computers that have processors with SpeedStep (Intel) or Cool'n'Quiet (AMD) it will clock down the CPU when not under load. It can also power down hard drives, etc. It will not slow a computer down in regards to performance.

Edit- You want max battery on your laptop though and having the higher power setting over performance will keep your laptop cooler as well.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/does-changing-power-settings-actually-affect-performance.676203/
Relevancy 82.13%

I'm currently getting extremely low power on the downstream ( -1.6 dBmV) but I have a pretty good SNR (39.1 dB). The main problem I have with my computer is that streaming video gets constant buffering at times and sometimes downloads degrade over time (start out fast then get slower sometimes down to almost nothing). I have went wired, wireless, with router and without yet the same thing happens. I swapped modems with my sister who lives on the same street and has the same service and it doesnt affect anything either.

Here are her modem signals compared to mine:

Hers
Downstream
SNR 33.2dB
Power Lvl -11.8dBmV
Upstream
Power Lvl 54.5dBmV

Mine
Downstream
SNR 39.0 dB
Power Lvl-2.0 dBmV
Upstream
Power 50.0 dBmV

here is my speed and ping test results:

With results like that it looks like everything is fine, I cant put my finger on the problem. Could it be soemthing outside at the pole?

A:Solved: low power downstream on cable modem - could that affect performance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-low-power-downstream-on-cable-modem-could-that-affect-performance.939681/
Relevancy 82.13%

I have a Compac desktop computer that I use as a back up machine. Latley this thing has been randomly shutting off. The wierd thing is pressing the power button does not start it up but if I unplug the main power connector to the motherboard and plug it back in again it start up, even without pushing the power button., but it only shuts off again maybe 10 minutes later of maybe 30 minutes later sometime even 3 minutes later. Does this sound like a faulty power supply ?
To recap, after the computer shuts off it does not restart on its own. The power on button will not restart it. I have to unplu the main cable from the mother board and plug it back in again.
Thanks for your help .

A:Faulty power supply ?

It sounds like the PSU. Try a known good PSU.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-power-supply.547789/
Relevancy 82.13%

When I plug the power cable into my Dell Dimension XPS T450, it turns on. I don't hit the power button or anything. Is this a sign that my power supply is faulty or is this common for some computers?

A:Do I have a faulty power supply?

As long as your machine is shutting down and booting and everything is running o.k. you probably don't have a psu problem. I've run across several that do the same thing and never have figured out why.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/do-i-have-a-faulty-power-supply.292776/
Relevancy 82.13%

how can it be identified whether the power supply is faulty? i got a pc. cannot on. no light. the fan not working. i tried to change the power cable. it's still the same.can i make sure it's becoz of power supply faulty?

Relevancy 82.13%

Ive got a 300 watt antec power supply powering my dvd player, cd burner, floppy, 3 case fans and my rad 9700. Is this not enough?? Recently my computer has starting acting weird.... shutting off when clicking certain icons, thats stopped after a format. But now when i play certain games it hangs there and then reboots harsh... How big of a psu should i get and where the best deals are at??
thanks,
franklinz

A:power supply faulty??

Is this PSU in addition to another one that powers the rest of the system? I assume so since you left out several components in the details. How is it connected with respect to the other? What is the full configuration of the system; mobo, cpu, RAM, HDDs, etc.. and what is the power rating of the other PSU if there is one?What OS are you running?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-faulty.3316/
Relevancy 82.13%

I'm having some strange problems with my PSU My computer went black last night while I was playing GTA IV After some research power or something Faulty supply else? on the web I came to a conclusion that my PSU died I attempted the paperclip trick with no success - fans didnt do anything I was about ready to start shopping for a new one plugged everything back into places when I saw a red V V switch on the back I switched it from default V to V and tried the paperclip test again This time the fan on the Faulty power supply or something else? back of the case not PSU started spinning and lights on the front and the green light on CD-ROM lit up I plugged the pin connector back into the motherboard and hit the on switch still with V and the same thing happened From what I described above what do you think has gone wrong with my PC And why is PSU acting the way it is

A:Faulty power supply or something else?

You ask for help on your power supply and your power supply is not listed in your specs or your post. Your power supply switch should stay on the setting for your area. In the U.S.A. that would be 115 or 110 volts. If it doesn't work there your power supply should be replaced. DO NOT try to repair a power supply. Their can be enough stored amps to kill you. I recommend Corsair or Seasonic power supplies.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/265850-faulty-power-supply-something-else.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Whenever I run my Laser Printer and my Copy machine at the same time my computer reboots It is plugged into a Battery Back-up UPS Surge protector but that doesn t keep it from rebooting I have tried moving different machines to different outlets but that doesn t help I have another Supply, Faulty ? RAM Power or identical computer on the same circuit and it does not have this problem Is this a faulty power supply RAM or I was thinking either Replace the power supply in the computer year-old Dell with a better one as maybe it has gone bad Faulty Power Supply, RAM or ? can t handle the voltage changes Purchase a Tripp Lite Line Conditioner Have an electrician add a new circuit in the office Purchase a new computer One more thing The Faulty Power Supply, RAM or ? computer does seem to be running slower than it had in the past with lots more hard drive activity almost to the point of thrashing Thanks for any advice you can give me on how I should proceed to correct this nbsp

Relevancy 82.13%

I m pretty sure I ve got a bad power supply hoping it s nothing more then that The computer is a HP- n with a HIPRO HP-A A power supply With all plugs disconnected I measure no voltage on a drive plug going from black ground to yellow or red power supply faulty Possible The power supply light is on solid and when I press the start button the fans start to rotate but then stop No hard drives start up but I do get a LED Possible faulty power supply on the mother board that is lit But nothing more No CPU fan or computer cooling fan or power supply fan Another Possible faulty power supply problem I noticed was in the center of the motherboard was a small heatsink not the CPU heatsink or cooling fan that was attached to a chip with springs that were connected to four hooks that were on the motherboard I found two of the hooks pulled out and the heatsink sitting off the chip but still attached by the remaining two hooks that were still on the motherboard I was able to solder i hope the two hooks back tothe motherboard but the power supply issue seems to be the main problem nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

Hi
Can a faulty power supply course BSOD?
Thx

A:Can a faulty power supply course BSOD?

It most certainly can. Please post your BSOD log so that our resident experts can analyze it for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

If you can get into the BIOS you might want to check the listings for your PSU voltages and temperatures and post them here.

Failing that, check to see if the PSU is overheating. Better still, remove it and either check it with a wattmeter/ammeter if you have one or take it to your local repair shop to have it checked.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/195226-can-faulty-power-supply-course-bsod.html
Relevancy 81.27%

Hello I've been having issues with my old gaming PC and I would like to either replace or upgrade the components but I'm not sure what the issue is Here's a list of what happened - - years ago I was experiencing BSODs on PC boot so I decided to check each ram individually to see if one of them its causing the problem So I found that sticks were faulty so I removed them and I was left with GB ram - months ago Motherboard or Power Faulty Supply? I tried to turn on the PC and it was shutting down after seconds or it wouldn't even start at all no signs Faulty Motherboard or Power Supply? of power - So I decided to disassemble everything and clean my dusty fans there was a lot of dust inside the power supply and tried to boot again This time the PC was booting but with no display - So I removed everything expect the CPU Cooler and fans and tried to boot again Still no display no beeps and fans were spinning Is it safe to assume that my motherboard is bad Is there any other way to test it to make sure Because if it's the motherboard I might be replacing the whole system unless its the power supply that's faulty so I could replace it with a cheap one at the moment and upgrade the PC later Specs OS Windows bit CPU AMD Phenom tm II X Processor Motherboard ASUS M A TD-V EVO Memory GB DDR SDRAM Graphics Cards ATI Radeon HD MB x Cooling H corsair Hard Drives WDC WD AALS- L B ATA Device GB IDE x

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/390048-faulty-motherboard-power-supply.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I have a packard bell multimedia Pentium Mhz I have a watt power supply When I first got this machine Supply Faulty Acts Is But It? Power Like there was a problem with the power supply so I got the one I have in the unit now from a friend with a simular model It worked find The power switch was not used the machine was Acts Like Faulty Power Supply But Is It? turn off at the outlet switch This machine was used by my parents I replaced it with a P I wanted to use the pentium to run some older programs I installed a hhd cdrom floppy drive from an old I had When I powered it up it worked fine as far as power Acts Like Faulty Power Supply But Is It? goes In fact I was suprise I didn t have any problems after hooking every thing up like I often do when working on these things The machine was configuring the new hardware but the mouse would that work with that machine and I wanted to format the drive so I shut it down with the power switch on the machine to put in a boot disk to format the hhd When I when to turn it back on with the power switch nothing I could see the power supply was drawing current because the light in the room would dim a bit I would also see the fan move slightly and a light blink on the cdrom Other than that nothing I had no indication what so ever of a supply problem It worked fine for the months my folks used it My friend that took the original power supply for this machine told me he is using it and it works fine So with the information I have provided is it possible for a problem to look like trouble with the power supply but be something other than that Help please nbsp

Relevancy 81.27%

every once in a while my computer just turns off?

i dont know if its the power supply or not, but i only just bought it.

its a casecom 350W.

any sugestions?

thanks.

Relevancy 81.27%

I have a dell that is about a year and a half old xp ghz gig ram all in wonder Last night the power went out for some time I was asleep I wasn t worried about my comp bc it was off and I have it on a surge protector I went to turn it on and it didn t supply? Solved: Faulty Power respond at all I did everything possible except take it in checking connection inside and out I gave up figuring that the power supply was fried I came back a few hours later and it started right up It did something similar to me about a month ago I have been a little rough with it recently the dorm rooms are really hot and I have an upgraded video card What do you guys think I m almost tempted to buy a new p s just because but I don t know if it would fit in the oem dell box Any and all help is greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 80.84%

Hi,

I've just bought a new SATA Seagate 500gb internal hard drive as an upgrade, I currently have an 80gb SATA seagate as my main drive but this is full. I can see where to connect the new drive to my motherboard, however I can't understand how to connect the new drive to my current power supply.

Do I need to completely unscrew the power supply and all will become obvious?

I'm a little reluctant about doing that as it has a sticker on saying do not open, non servicable parts inside!

Any help would be most appreciated!

A:New Hard Drive, Old Power Supply help

You need this adapter.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...01002&Tpk=4+pin+molex+to+sata+power+connector

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-old-power-supply-help.611091/
Relevancy 80.84%

Im puzzled I have built a few pc s with no probs this last one has me stumped and any help would be appreciated greatly here we go let me give sys specs first msi k n delta lan xp barton fsb cpu dual channel memory fx vid card maxtor gig drive and floppy and cdrw xp pro os The system works gr then it will lock up and I have to hit reset and sometimes it starts back up fine and others I dont find the hard drive in bios I power down and remove ide cable and reinsert the cable and that works sometimes and sometimes not I mess with cables some then it will work Ive replaced the or drive power Hard supply? cable several times with same results so motherboard Hard drive or power supply? was still under warranty so I got a new mob and still have the problem is the problem a bad hard drive or power supply help please very annoying problem Thx Hard drive or power supply? Dace nbsp

A:Hard drive or power supply?

I'd put money on a software problem. Is there anything specific that causes the lockups? Like opening a browser or running a game? Without a specific trigger for an error it's harder to troubleshoot. Two things you can try: first is safe mode. This will load generic drivers so you might quickly identify if it's software or hardware. Use your error trigger if you've got one. Once you've done that, you can move on. Second is identifying the offending driver or component. For software, you must uninstall drivers one at a time. I'd start with simple stuff like mice and sound. Reboot after each uninstall, and again, use the trigger. For hardware you've got to physically remove things one at a time. Same deal, reboot after each, until you've defined the problem.

One more thing, have a look at the event viewer. right click my computer, select manage, and it should be there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-or-power-supply.284442/
Relevancy 80.41%

I have a pc whose video adapter died out of the blue last week. Replaced it and all was fine for one day. Now this card died too.

Would you suspect a faulty power supply is the cause?

~kimmer13

A:2nd opinion needed on faulty power supply

Power supply's are easy enough to test. If you don't have a tester take the tower into a shop and have them test it. Cost is minimal. Bad capacitors may also be a source of your problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2nd-opinion-needed-on-faulty-power-supply.718689/
Relevancy 79.98%

I am trying to buy some large hard drives for older Dell systems (ie) Optiplex GX110, etc. I continue to be told by the sales folks at BestBuy and CompUSA that there may be a power supply issue with the legacy systems. I may be putting a large drive and a smaller boot drive in the same system, and I don't want to burn out the system or start a fire.

Can anyone spread some light on this?

Thanks

A:hard drive size and power supply

I doubt the difference between a new 7200 and old 5400 RPM hard drive is more then a few watts. The size, or capacity, of the drive has no impact as far as I know. If you are replacing an existing drive with a new drive then there will be no issue power wise. Even if you add a second drive I doubt you'll have a problem. I worked on many Optiplex systems and never had a problem adding a second drive or replacing the existing drive.

Now replacing a power supply in a Optiplex is hard er as most will not acommodate a standard ATX power supply.

One issue you may run into though is a BIOS limitation on the size of hard drive you can install. There are 8GB, 32GB, 127GB barriers. However DELL has BIOS for the GX110 that'll adds 48 bit LBA support which allows to use drives larger then 127GB if you wish.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-size-and-power-supply.337013/
Relevancy 79.98%

About a year ago my one year old Compaq computer just died I have no idea why and back then I didn t have the knowledge to try and figure it out It literally went from being on in the morning before work Hard Power maybe Drive or Supply Issue and me checking my email to coming home from work and I couldn t even turn the computer on To my knowledge it was never turned on throughout the day and there wasn t a storm that day so I think a power surge can be ruled out It was plugged into an outlet with a surge protector as well Is there anyway to check and see if the Hard Drive is still good or anyway to quot fix quot it This was a K computer yes ripped off by best buy and now that I ve Hard Drive Issue or maybe Power Supply started to fool around in the tech area I can t accept it just dying It had adequate virus and spyware protection as well It was running on XP at the time it was in the neighborhood of - GB hard drive I don t know what processor it has although I could look and I m not sure about the motherboard I m thinking it s possible the power supply could have gone bad since I can t even attempt to turn the computer on I don t believe it could be the hard drive but I don t want to rule it out although if it was the hard drive it should at least turn on Then comes a possibly fried motherboard I think that could be the problem as well Please help nbsp

Relevancy 79.55%

This is Repeated possibly faulty crashing, supply? power my computer CyberpowerPC Stealth Raider Desktop PC Intel Core i GHz GB DDR TB Repeated crashing, possibly faulty power supply? HDD Windows Home Premium -Bit - Newegg com Repeated crashing, possibly faulty power supply? I got this computer in November I didn't used to have issues but in the past two days my computer has been dying while gaming It doesn't blue screen it goes straight to a black screen and I have to hold down the power button to power it off and restart Sometimes when I restart the computer there will be a BSOD notification as in the little window popping up just to let Repeated crashing, possibly faulty power supply? me know something happened but not always This culminated today in something like crashes in a row within minutes of each other and then I was unable to even see my screen as in when I turned it back on the computer's lights came on and its fans were running but there was no output to my monitor I opened it up and tightened any connections nothing was really loose and tried again and this time it powered up hence me being able to post this My power supply is W and I'm thinking maybe that it just can't handle my gaming and I should replace it with a W supply but obviously don't want to do that without being sure that's the problem I looked at the dump files and I saw they mentioned my graphics driver but I have kept it up to date It's within the one year warranty so perhaps I should just send it back Thanks for all your help

A:Repeated crashing, possibly faulty power supply?

hi,

well according to the graphic card spesifications should be using a 500 watt power supply but i personaly would want something in the 600 watt range and with a good make like seasonic or XFX power supply. but wait for a BSOD expert to comment on your thread.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/358342-repeated-crashing-possibly-faulty-power-supply.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I have a LaCie Grand hard drive, and while plugged in the power supply tip smoked and melted inside the charging port of the drive enclosure. Using 2 small screwdrivers I got all the goo and charcoal out, then plugged in another power supply. The drive mounted and I got all my data out.

Now what? Would you experts trust this drive with a new power supply? Or should I crack it open and put the actual drive into a new enclosure? i feel like a hard drive I can't trust is useless to me. Am I too paranoid? Your opinions here will be greatly appreciated.

A:Hard drive power supply adapter burned up... now what?

Howdy,

Me personally would put it in another Enclosure as they are not expensive......also I might run a test on the HDD as well

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-power-supply-adapter-burned-up-now-what.1125011/
Relevancy 79.12%

I have a 3.5" external hard drive that requires a (round) 5-pin power supply adapter. I lost the original, and bought a new one from an electronics manufacturer. The plug fits the slot, but I am not getting power to the drive and no signal is reaching the PC.

Without buying another power supply (the one I bought was hard to find - I had to go online and find a parts supplier, and I don't want to return it until I know what the problem is), how do I check to confirm whether the external drive is working, or that the external power supply and the drive are properly connected?

A:checking external hard drive power supply

IMO it would be much easier to just buy another enclosure and pull your drive out of the one you are using now. Install it in the new enclosure; good to go.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/checking-external-hard-drive-power-supply.752346/
Relevancy 78.69%

Didn't know whether to post here or in Hardware forum...hope this is the place?

Have a 1 T external usb drive used for system & file backups on 2 machines. Lately it seems that the speed to save a system image is slowing down considerably...particularly on the 2nd networked machine ?

The drive is about 80% full now...could this be the reason the performace/time to save/restore an image seems to be growing longer ?

Thanks...TRinAZ

A:does the capacity/used space on USB drive affect performance

Quote: Originally Posted by trinaz

Didn't know whether to post here or in Hardware forum...hope this is the place?

Have a 1 T external usb drive used for system & file backups on 2 machines. Lately it seems that the speed to save a system image is slowing down considerably...particularly on the 2nd networked machine ?

The drive is about 80% full now...could this be the reason the performace/time to save/restore an image seems to be growing longer ?

Thanks...TRinAZ

Defragmenting that drive might help

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/186063-does-capacity-used-space-usb-drive-affect-performance.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hello, Ive just put a second hard-drive in my pc for storage. It works fine apart from it keeps dissapearing from My Computer & I have to reboot to get it to appear in the drive list.
Also Ive tried to find it in disc management & disc management wont load & just gives me this error 'Unable to connect to logical disc manager service' and 'the dependancy service or group faled to start'

Also compmanagement keeps freezing up when I ask to look at removeable storage.

Ive looked in the event log & about an hour ago I had this log ' An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.'

Do you think the hard drive may be faulty?

Relevancy 77.4%

Ok here's my situation. I have a computer that will not boot up. So I want to check the hard drive on it to see if it is the hard drive that is kaput. I have another computer. However the working computer is using an SATA cable with it's hard drive. There is however an open place to put in a 40 pin ribbon cable. Can I just take the ribbon cable out of the faulty computer and plug it into the motherboard on the working computer. Or will this cause problems? All I want to do is see if the faulty computer's have drive is junk or not.Thanks.

A:Testing out a HARD DRIVE from a faulty computer to see if it works or not.

Make sure the old cable is an 80 wire 40 pin. The empty controller in the newer computer may also need to be turned on in the bios.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/testing-out-a-hard-drive-from-a-faulty-computer-to-see-if-it-works-or-not.429873/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi I am having this issue I have been wondering about for quite some time and finally decided to ask around and see if I can get some constructive answers to my issues I used to have a laptop which I used for doing my internet surfing and it was a good computer like dual core procesor with G RAM approximate info When I first acquired the USB modem which captures the signal from a mobile phone computer performance? internet Can affect USB bad circuits provider that offers Can bad computer circuits affect USB internet performance? the internet service I didn t have many problems with it After a Can bad computer circuits affect USB internet performance? while my USB port on the laptop started having problems and as I remember also my internet performance dropped and I had many automatic disconnections or network dropouts That laptop died a few months ago actually just needs some repair but didn t bother sending it to repair and currently I am using an old desktop computer with a AMD duron processor and RAM Her is my actual question that was just to fill in the details for the upcoming question Could it be that my internet is constantly disconnecting because of bad computer circuits first the bad USB port on the laptop and now an years old computer whos circuits could easily be ruined by time or other factors Now this is just an educated guess and am trying to get an oppinion from someone who has more knowledge and info about these things since the USB modem sometimes literally drives me crazy because of the poor performance and am unsure if it is ITS fault or the computer s on which I used it or am using it Would appriciate any answers that can help me solve this dilema ty in advance nbsp

A:Can bad computer circuits affect USB internet performance?

USB Wi-Fi adapters draw the maximum current provided by a USB port. Essentially no room for error, so if the adapter draws a little extra or the port is not supplying quite enough it may even lose power completely and then come back on. That happened to me with one adapter and several different USB ports.

Since mobile wireless modems are also radios, I'm guessing that they may also be drawing maximum power, with the above possibilities.

But unless your modem is actually losing power (maybe a LED to indicate, or the "USB device has disconnected" sound) I don't know how to tell if your problems are power related.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-bad-computer-circuits-affect-usb-internet-performance.1029297/
Relevancy 76.11%

i have heard that more files we have in libraries folder (document, music, picture and videos)the slower the performance of computer will be.............

is it true

A:storage usage of libraries affect on computer performance

No. They are "stored" on the hard drive, but unless a file is needed it's never accessed by the hard drive. Thus it's not interfering with performance. That sort of goes along with the FALSE theory that constantly accessing the computer's memory (RAM) will wear it out.

However, a highly fragmented drive can very slightly slow down performance. If, for example a word processing document is fragmented and parts of the document in several locations on the hard drive, instead of just accessing one location to get the document, the drive must access several locations. Periodic defragmentation of the hard drive will take care of fagmented files. But even with a drive that is very fragmented with the speed of modern computers it may not even be noticed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/194249-storage-usage-libraries-affect-computer-performance.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I read in one of the posts that 3d party defrager could mess up start speed and comp performance, whereas vista's built-in defrager keeps certain files in ceratin places to increase efficiency and speed. Any truth to this? What about Auslogics?

A:Is it true 3d party defrag software can affect computer start time/performance

Short answer? It is true for all third party defrag software if you disable Windows defrag. Windows defrag learns and optimizes the file positions of your first load and frequently used programs. So, if you want the best optimization you would be defraging twice, first with your third party software and then with Windows defrag, which sort of defeats the purpose, no?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/251951-true-3d-party-defrag-software-can-affect-computer-start-time-performance.html
Relevancy 72.67%

My computer is about years old and now when you first turn it on it makes a very loud noise that eventually goes away but is getting worse it appears the power supply is failing or at least thats what ive read in regards to the symptoms The power supply is a Newton Power Ltd watt model mps pb I was at Best Buy today 1000 Supply for Power Gateway Replacing Performance looking at the power supplies Replacing Power Supply for Gateway Performance 1000 but they appear different and all are watts or better The model i have now i believe is listed as a fan on model with the fan pointing down and mounted externally Will the standard power supplies work with my unit I was trying to get one locally rather than having to wait for mail order Also the unit i have has always been rather loud not like now but your definatley aware its running which it seem to do most of the time Are the newer units quiter Thanks for any advice Gateway Performance Pent III mgs RAM Windows ME nthe ring nbsp

A:Replacing Power Supply for Gateway Performance 1000

Hi,

Unfortunately for you, I would guess that you will have to buy your power supply from Gateway. These proprietary units just don't fit what they usually sell in stores at a much cheaper price. It is called, get out your money, because Gateway will charge you and arm and a leg for one. Other supplies like you are looking at just won't fit your case as a rule.

That being said, why not look closer and see if you can get a can of AIR and blow the dust out of the fan in your power supply. Some times, the problem you describe is simply a vast dust build up on the fan blades and can be solved by blowing and cleaning the dust out. I would try that first and while you are at it, blow the dust out of the rest of your computer at the same time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacing-power-supply-for-gateway-performance-1000.368832/
Relevancy 71.38%

I upgraded everything in my computer except my hard drive and cd drive (which are both roughly 7 years old) I have a core 2 duo 2.33 gh processor, 3 gig ram, yet still it seems my computer has slow response time on most things. I always figured it was lack of ram but with the 3 gigs i have now im pretty sure that's not it. So my question is, could your hard drive actually slow down your computers response time? and anyway to check it with system tools?

I have antivirus, firewall, and spybot so I don't think it's software either..

A:Can hard drive slow down computer performance?

Hi! I have just built a new computer and I tested it just for the fun...had a 200Gb IDE HDD and a 200Gb SATA HDD (@ 3Gb/s) and the SATA is faster atleast if you install windows on a sata drive!

try it, and say what you think about it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-hard-drive-slow-down-computer-performance.112732/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hey,A week ago, someone woke me up at the bad timing, hence I got my rage out on my pc. I hit the keyboard several times until the screen took a pink with stitches.Since that day, all problems came to that pc. It worked at first, but I couldn't reset it or else.It took me a week to partly fix it. I installed another computer's system image in mine. It was the same pc ( a double).But it is slow and crushing, and I can't reset it. And it gives a hard drive error.Is it because of the hit? Should I change my hard drive?Thanks in advance.

A: Does Hitting a pc affect its hard drive?

Is this a laptop or a desktop?  If you struck the keyboard of a laptop with your fist then yes, you could have damaged the hard drive as the impact of the hit would be transferred to the hard drive within the laptop's case.  If you struck the keyboard of a desktop, then it would most likely only damage the keyboard itself.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,156255.0.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello everyone About week ago I was on my computer playing a game League of Legends and all of a sudden my monitor shuts off no signal going to sleep i found this really strange because that happened out of nowhere And my computer still remained turned on well i could still hear the fans moving So I turned Power comp on Supply performance my (PSU) Unit Could my Solved: issues causing new be my computer off holding the button for s it turned off so i waited about seconds and turned it on again but this time i noticed that when my computer was powering up it didn t make this beep sound from the mainboard that it usually does when it boots Solved: Could my new Power Supply Unit (PSU) be causing performance issues on my comp up and again my screen was still showing no signal So i decided to turn my computer off again unplug everything and plug everything back in Turned my computer on Still no beep sound still no signal on my monitor so i looked at the back of my computer and out of pure stupidity changed the voltage on my PSU computer power supply the next thing i hear is a loud BANG and i smelt a burned smell and some smoke came out of my PSU So days ago I went out to buy a new PSU the guy at the shop said it was W and should be fine for my computer so I opened my computer up took the old PSU out replaced it with the new one turned my computer on and to my luck no other components were damaged from the death of my old PSU the computer booted up fine and it s still the same computer for performing normal tasks like browsing the internet But now my problem lies here When I go to play games on it there is a serious performance issue Before all of this happened I used to get stable FPS on high graphics settings without any problem and I could also have tons of web browsers open in the background and it wouldn t affect my gaming performance but now I get - FPS on the same settings and if i turn the settings all to LOWEST even then I get - FPS I remember when I used to play on lowest settings I got FPS now I get And on high settings i used to get now I get What could be causing this I ve come to think that the new PSU is possibly starving my GPU of energy I don t know though All help would be immensely appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: Could my new Power Supply Unit (PSU) be causing performance issues on my comp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-could-my-new-power-supply-unit-psu-be-causing-performance-issues-on-my-comp.1073956/
Relevancy 70.95%

My question is this The graphics card requirements suggest a power supply with Volt current rating of Amp Amps The power supply specs are showing only as high as amps Is this going to create an issue with the power effect requirements the card? does graphics supply of How (performance) amps power supply not being at the recommend amps Requirements for my graphics card are Minimum of a Watt power supply Minimum recommended power supply with Volt current rating of Amp Amps Minimum Watt for SLI mode system Minimum recommended power supply with Volt current rating of Amp Amps Spefications of my power supply are Brand Antec Model NeoPower Spec Type ATX V Maximum Power W Fans x mm super-silent fan PFC Active Main Connector Pin V Rails PCI-E Connectors x Pin SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Power Good Signal - ms Hold-up Time ms at full load Efficiency Up to V - Full load Typical load Light load V - Full load Typical load Light load Over Voltage Protection V trip point lt V V trip point lt V V trip point lt V Input Voltage - V Input Frequency Range - Hz Input Current A V A V Output V A V A V A V A V A - V A VSB A MTBF gt Hours Approvals UL CUL TUV How does power supply amps effect requirements (performance) of the graphics card? CE FCC CCC CB C-tick Features Connectors x Main connector pin x V P x peripheral x SATA x Floppy x PCI-E I feel as if I ve been a sleep for years not knowing all this stuff - would greatly appreciate any feed back regarding this as I m planning on purchasing a graphics card soon Thank you nbsp

A:How does power supply amps effect requirements (performance) of the graphics card?

Your PSU has a triple +12v rail design so you will use the combined amperage across all three rails. In this case, you have a combined rating of 54amps, which is far more than enough to run the latest video cards. The PSU is also CrossFire and SLI certified so running a single card that requires only 22amps should be a breeze for that power supply. Having an underpowered PSU may produce graphical anomalies or prevent a video card from functioning at all, just to answer your question.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-does-power-supply-amps-effect-requirements-performance-of-the-graphics-card.118164/
Relevancy 70.52%

Heyo forum-goers what I am trying to do is sort of complicated but I'll try my best to explain it Basically I'm trying to squeeze every ounce of potential out of my nearly outdated machine First my relevant system specs How WinRE? affect clone hard will drive a - Windows Pro bit - IDE Hard drives - rpm GB Maxtor and rpm GB Seagate - Gigs of generic grade RAM OK so earlier today I found out about virtual memory AKA a paging file and about how it acts like a sort How will a hard drive clone affect WinRE? of RAM buffer increasing performance I also found out that I can put a paging file on each hard drive and that I could get the greatest benefit if I had each hard drive on a separate How will a hard drive clone affect WinRE? IDE channel so I ripped open my case rerouted the cables appropriately changed the master slave jumpers reset CMOS and booted up Win Now here is where I make things more complicated In the interest of getting every drop of juice out of this rotten orange I want to move clone the entire Win partition from the Maxtor to the Seagate to take advantage of the extra RPMs Except when I attempt the cloning process via Seagate Disc Wizard I only get the option to clone the Win partition and not the reserved unallocated space used by Windows Recovery Environment I am unaware of how Win uses the reserved space specifically but I assume that if I just created the unallocated space later it wouldn't instantly restore WinRE functionality I know enough to know it has to be more complicated How will a hard drive clone affect WinRE? than that How would I clone the Win partition and retain WinRE functionality Then after that's done do I still have to allocate some space on each hard drive for the paging files like a Linux swap file Or is the virtual memory reserved literally as a file in the operating system partition

A:How will a hard drive clone affect WinRE?

If you are referring to the 100MB System Reserved partition, that isn't unallocated space, it's an NTFS partition that contains the boot manager and other things if Bitlocker is enabled.

You could use some other software that will clone the System Reserved partition. Acronis True Image Home 2010 will do it. You can use it on a trial basis to do the cloning:
Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software

Also, Paragon is well regarded and I'm not sure if the Backup & Recovery 10 Free edition will clone, per se, but some of their other software will, and free trials are available from them, too.
Paragon Software: Download free partition software for home

As for the page file, Windows creates and manages that as a separate file, pagefile.sys. You can modify its size and location under Advanced System Settings.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/36013-how-will-hard-drive-clone-affect-winre.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Sorry I don't know the proper terms, but basically the pin inside the jack where the power cord gets plugged into on my laptop was bent so that it's really hard for me to plug in my power cord and have it stay in place. My warranty with best buy has expired, so I need to figure out how to solve this problem on my own. I can't just leave it like this because the cord comes out really easily and I can't continue to work with such a tenuous setup. Anyway, is this just a matter of replacing the entire unit inside my laptop? I know you probably need more information, but I'm not sure what to provide, so please ask any questions. The laptop is a Toshia M-45, about 3-4 years old. Thanks in advance

A:Bent power supply pin - Hard to plug in power cord

umm.. bend it back so it's closer to normal? That's all I can say about it. usually works for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bent-power-supply-pin-hard-to-plug-in-power-cord.820239/
Relevancy 68.37%

When the cable of an external drive is awkwardly plug in and cause the following error (not exact wording)

'An error was detected on device during paging operation' and 'unable to flush data to transaction log'.

Will there be a long term effect on the drive since the problem is only cause by not plugging the cable properly.

A:Will sudden cable connection problem affect hard drive in the long run

Hi LearningTeam, welcome to the Forum.

I doubt the hard drive will be affected but there might be a problem with the data transferred during that time. So check to see if the data is still working correctly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388979-will-sudden-cable-connection-problem-affect-hard-drive-long-run.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I'm thinking about reformatting my harddrive because a couple of games have been crashing and windows media player also crashed a few times. (I've tried everything else I can think of) But I have 2 hard drives hooked up. One has Windows and all of my programs on it. The other is a storage hd for documents, videos, etc.

My question is, could a virus or something on the storage hard drive be causing the problem even though Windows and my programs aren't installed on that drive? There's no way I'll reformat my storage drive but if that drive is the one with the problem then it would be pointless to reformat the other drive.

A:Question about how multiple hard drives affect computer operation

You should be able to virus scan the data drive and be pretty sure there's no issue there. Most data files aren't targets for virus infections, with the exception of stuff like .DOC and .XLS that run macros. Why don't you try an on-line virus scan, then a spyware scan to see if you can identify the issues? I'd start with the Trend House Call on-line Virus Scan to make sure you have a complete virus scan.

Next, download Ad-Aware and install it, update it's signatures, and do a complete scan. I also use Spyware Blaster to prevent spyware from loading in the first place. Finally, if you still have a problem, download HijackThis and CWShredder and post a HijackThis log.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-about-how-multiple-hard-drives-affect-computer-operation.287584/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I hope someone can help me out here I built my own pc a few weeks ago everything is fine UNTIL NOW - My main hard drive is a western digital caviar GB special edition MB cache and the computer boots from this problem is a couple of days ago when i press the buttons to start the computer everything fires up fine apart from the hard drive It seems to go really slow scratching louder than normal and seems to only scratch twice a second funny thing is it still boots but really really slowly Is this a faulty hard drive or a power start up Faulty????? hard drive my Is problem All i Is my hard drive Faulty????? do is switch on Is my hard drive Faulty????? at the mains then switch the pc on Last time it happened i let it startup then shut it down and started up again and it was fine This time i just pulled the plug and started again and it was fine Whats up with my poor hard drive I have it in a caddy fixed into one of the inch drive bays this caddy has two built in fans and one of them makes a noise when i first start it could this fan have something to do with it such as vibration or something Help Thanks Ade nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

Hello I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm running Drive Hard Faulty out of options I'm very lost as to how to contact hp support about my issue I went through the support page and searched my product Faulty Hard Drive and got to the 'Contact Options' Faulty Hard Drive page However there was no contact options available to me just a confirmation that my product is still under warranty until it's expiration date I opened a support case in a commercial product section I thought it was a personal product section for some reason and got an email back saying to ring customer support I rang the customer support number and followed through to the correct line which said that I need to open a customer support ticket before calling I'm not sure where to go from here I was using my laptop with a few programs open Disk was at when windows crashed No error message opened but windows Explorer start menu and taskbar were all unresponsive I restarted and the laptop was unable to boot windows I could reach the login lockscreen but once I entered my password it was stuck at a login loop I booted into safe mode to attempt to uninstall recently installed programs to see if that would fix the issue It would boot into the desktop however Windows Explorer was again unresponsive I tried window r to reach msconfig to configure a clean startup but that failed to load Task manager failed to open as well as the start menu I tried restarting a few times as well as removing the battery to drain the capacitors of electricity before booting up Same issues I then ran component tests all of which passed except for the Hard Drive short long DST check which failed Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Faulty Hard Drive

I will ask a Moderator to escalate your issue. A failed hard disk is covered under warranty. You may be asked to provide the hardawre fail code that the test gave you. I hope you have your recovery media available. You will need the recovery media  to recover the notebook to its factory delivered state.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Faulty-Hard-Drive/td-p/5701435
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi, i've recently bought a seagate momentus 7200.3 from ebay and when i try to copy my hard drive to it using norton ghost, i'm getting the error EC8F17B3.

"Cannot complete copying of (C:\) drive. Error EC8F0409: Cannot copy source drive to destination location. Warning A7C30019: The type of errors encountered indicate that this hard disk drive is about to fail. It is recommended that this drive be replaced soon. To ignore this error and backup this drive, select "Ignore bad sectors during copy" from the advanced options in the Drive Backup Wizard. Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 12288 sectors starting at LBA 174724072. Error EBAB03F1: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Details: 0xA7C30019"

Just wondering what this means and if theres anyway around it? Problem with the drive maybe? Also i've been running the copy and selecting "Ignore bad sectors during copy".

Regards, Dave.

A:Faulty hard drive?

Sounds like a bad drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

Manufacturer's Tests
Victoria for DOS
Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
HD Tune
CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:

TachTech
BleepingComputer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.809735/
Relevancy 67.08%

hi there, right basicaly i have a 40gb hdd which i store all my music on, one minute this drive was fine, the next i rebooted and the drive woudlnt work during post the comp picks up an ide drive on master, and even loads the drives name etc but the system just seems 2 hang then. any ideas what courses this? ive tried the drive in 3 other systems with exactly the same symptoms so i dont think its a hardware conflict. ive got a new hdd now but what i am keen to do is to access the drive and copy the files from it as there is approx 35gb of music on there

if you require anymore info ill try to provide it

thanks in advance, russ

A:Faulty Hard-Drive?

Put the drive in a freezer bag and chill it right down for an hour , then try again.

Sometimes works, and if it does then extract everything you can. It may be your only access chance.

If nothing else, you perhaps realise now that a HDD is only temporary storage, and must be backed up. They are cheaper these days but the quality and longevity has not improved.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.209812/
Relevancy 67.08%

For the last few weeks I have had some issues with my PC I built myself a couple of years ago. The main thing is that if I let my PC sit for 10-15 minutes, when I come back to log back in, my display gets huuuge to the lowest resolution, and I usually get a "parser error message saying "value creation failed at line 422 or line 903". What is all this? Also, the computer has been running a lot slower that it used to, Photoshop will freeze, defragging will leave half the drive still fragmented, so just a bunch of annoying problems that only a restart seems to fix. Please advise, thank you all.

Relevancy 67.08%

Ok, so the other day, my external hard drive fell to the ground and I could not get it to turn back on. I tried again yesterday with no success. I ordered a SATA hard drive enclosure thinking it was just the hardware in my external hard drive that was bad. Well I went and plugged it into a SATA enclosure and all I get is 5 beeps as if its trying but nothing ends up happening....is it possible that the hard drive itself is done??? I have tons and tons of stuff on there that I cannot lose...Any help would be great guys. Thanks!

A:HELP Faulty Hard drive??

It is possible that the fall damaged the hard drive read/write heads, the hardware that positions the heads, and/or possibly the disc surfaces as well. This is particularly true if the drive was powered up at the time of the fall.

If this is true, it will cost you big bucks to have a data recovery company take the drive apart and attempt to recover all or some of data from the the disc platters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-faulty-hard-drive.1083365/
Relevancy 67.08%

If someone can help me that would be great. Yesterday a work computer only had two applications running and it completely froze up. When we restarted the computer the following message appeared:

"windows could not start because of an error in hte software, please report this problem as: load needed DLL's for Kernel"

We tried repairing Windows XP and then reformatting the system. Nothing seemed to be working. Dell is telling us that we need a new hard drive. The computer is only a year old. Does this make sense or does anyone have a suggestion on how to try and repair?

Thanks,
Kristy

A:Faulty Hard Drive??

From the hard drive's manufacturer's web site, download and run the diagnostic tool.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.228972/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I ve a Fujitsu MHR AT hard drive in a Samsung P laptop it s re-badged as an RM Professional P but I don t think that should be relevant here The drive is very noisy but only intermittently This can happen when the laptop is being used or when it s just doing nothing On checking Task Manager I can t find anything running that would cause the drive to be accessed Ordinarily I d assume the drive was failing but I ve a couple of these drives I recently bought a replacement an used one off Ebay and that was no better The seller was very apologetic and immediately sent me a replacement which guess what was pretty much the same This was cheap so not even worth sending back Now I find it hard to believe though it s still possible that all four are duff drives So I went looking for some disc diagnostic software on the net I tried a couple including SeaTools for Windows but the only one that ran properly was DiscCheckup from PassMark I ve been using that running short and extended self tests but it doesn t highlight any problems I m intrigued that the disc apparently runs when I wouldn t be expecting it to be doing anything Device Manager tells me its using a Microsoft driver dated Would a Fujitsu driver help I ve tried to update but couldn t find anything newer Anyone any ideas apart from throw all the drives away nbsp hard drive(s) Faulty

Relevancy 67.08%

I have recently bought a brand new Western Digital Caviar Green TB hard drive and have had no end of trouble Faulty Is My New Drive Hard with it since the moment I installed it The initial problems were the hard drive which is being used as a slave not being detected by XP every time necessitating repeated re-boots until it showed up After that it started prompting a check disk on boot-up Is My New Hard Drive Faulty which on one occasion found problems with some file record segments and had to recover files The next check disk after that showed no bad sectors After that event my PC became unable to boot windows at all stopping on a black screen just before the desktop should have appeared necessitating more repeated re-boots until the PC started sometimes showing the new Is My New Hard Drive Faulty drive successfully and sometimes not I ran the Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostic program and my hard drive passed After working fine for two days the hard drive started playing up again going through the previous antics but this time appearing in My Computer as a hard drive but no reported size Upon re-boot it would prompt a check disk then find a corrupt Master File table and then abort At this point my new hard drive is completely useless and inaccessible I tried using TestDisk to repair the problem but the back-up mirror file was also corrupt I have managed to salvage some files from it using the Zero Assumption Recovery program which took nearly hours to complete its scan and verification but the question still remains Is my new hard drive faulty I have no idea if this behaviour is indicative of a faulty hard drive or if it could be something else I ve never had any problems such as this in all the years I have owned computers My PC is running XP with SP and the motherboard is an Asus P P SE The new hard drive is being used as a slave drive for storing files and has no operating system on it Thanks in advance for any advice nbsp

Relevancy 66.65%

Hi,
I recently bought a new, 3rd party power cord for my Toshiba Satellite L300 from eBay.
Recently I've noticed that my battery stops charging earlier and earlier. At first it stopped at 87%, then 83%, then 80% all in one week. I've had the computer for about a year which seems a bit early for it to start degrading so fast, so could it be the power cord?

The Toshiba cord says Model: PA-1750-29, Input: 100-240V~ 50-60Hz 1.5A, Output: 19V[solid line above a dotted line]3.95A
The 3rd party cord says Model: PA-34671ACA, Input: 100-240V~1.5A 50/60Hz, Output: 19V[solid over dotted]3.95A

If the new cord is harmful to my battery, I can just solder its input plug onto the Toshiba charger (that's the only bit that was broken) but I'd rather not risk breaking two power cords if I don't need to.

---------------------------------------
Thanks,
Marlon

Relevancy 66.22%

Hey everyone So I recently picked up this external hard drive from a friend who Hard Drive, no access. Ext. Faulty was having some issues with it From his first description I thought Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access. I would be able to solve it myself but it turns out the problem is way more complex and unknown to me than I had thought Here's what's up -The Hard drive is a standard external one connected to the PC via a standard USB cable One regular USB connector on the PC side and a small one I believe they are refered to as 'mini-USB Type B' on the drive's side -When connected to the PC it shows up like an internal hard drive strangely not with the external devices -It cannot be browsed or accessed in any other way the windows explorer will either load -extremely- slowly without success OR freeze OR simply say it cannot be accessed -The furthest I got in terms of interacting with it was to uninstall and reinstall it via disk manager -All other attempts fail formatting is impossible as a right click leads to the problems described in point I tried to format after uninstalling installing the drive since a message came up telling me to do so eventhough I was planning to do it anyway -The drive brand is completely unknown to me it was purchased in Hong Kong and bears the label 'Buffalo' Any feedback or ideas on this topic are more than welcome Thanks in advance amp looking forward to some help Pluffi

A:Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access.

Hi,

Are you able to access this drive from the command prompt? If so, try a chkdsk /R on it and lets see if that improves access.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/200412-faulty-ext-hard-drive-no-access.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello I built my PC about two years ago and it runs pretty well I turn it suck drive? Hard does just Faulty really Or XP off a few times a Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck week and use it every day But recently I have been having problems I turned off my computer before I went to work Came home and turned the computer on When I entered my login password I got some quot Domain could not be found quot error and it took me back to the login page I tried to find a fix for this but was unable to so I gave up I installed a new copy of XP on a different partion of my hard drive I split my hard drive up into two different partions when I built it for an installation of linux which I never got round to installing I ve been using this new copy of windows for about a week but a few days ago I Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck have been having troubles again I turn on my computer and it comes to the quot select an operating system quot screen If I choose the OS that I was using previously I get to the log in screen and it just tells me that it could not conect to the remote host which is expected since I haven t tried to fix it again since If I choose the NEW OS that I recently installed and press enter then the screen goes dark and then nothing happens I have on several ocassions left it on this screen for a long time without any kind of change But the strange thing is the computer is still on and its being all noisy and computery in terms of how it sounds So my question is Do I have a faulty hard drive By the way I forgot to mention that my computer ever since a few days before the first installation of windows became useless I had been getting the occasional message when I started the computer saying that quot one of my disks needs to be checked for consistency quot After which it would goe through all of this quot checking files quot quot recovering orphaned files quot and quot checking security descriptors quot crap Must I replace the Hard drive nbsp

A:Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck

You can run diagnostics on the drive to rule out failure:

Depending on the brand:

Samsung http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_HUTIL.html
Seagate/Maxtor/Quantum http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
fujitsu/Seimens http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/#diagnostic
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive-or-does-xp-just-really-suck.741883/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello guys,

When I plug in my 80GB External HD USB drive it turns all other devices off etc and doesn't work. Is it faultly?

A:Is my External hard-drive faulty?

What other devices are turned off?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/264751-my-external-hard-drive-faulty.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Windows boots and works fine except for a few occasional blue screens and freezes. But I went to go check out my hard drive today and I noticed a few scorch marks on the chip on the underside. It was on the middle and on the grey metal piece. It was brown a bit. I'm wondering if this may cause problems. I have tried running seatools and it came up with 0 errors.

A:Is my hard drive faulty/broken?

Do you have any idea how long the scorch marks have been there?

In particular, have they been there longer than you have had blue screens?

If the drive passes all Seatools tests and behaves OK in operation, it's difficult to make a case for it being defective.

Have you run a benchmark on the drive?

Barring more info, I'd assume the blue screens and freezes are unrelated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/241751-my-hard-drive-faulty-broken.html
Relevancy 65.79%

After completing installation of Windows 10 and my programs, I created a usb restore drive. Afterwards, I decided to change the computer name. Does anyone know if that will cause a problem with using my restore drive? (hope I never need it)

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/53245-will-changing-computer-name-affect-my-restore-drive.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Does leaving a lot of plug-in devices plugged in at all times hurt system performance in anyway. Im talking about, things plugged into USB ports(controllers, Digital camera cords) , A/V cables plugged into video capture card, etc.

Just wondering because I just got a new desk and access to the back of my PC isnt going to be easy.
Thanks for reading my trivial question

A:Does this affect performance?

It should not effect performance unless the decices are running.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/does-this-affect-performance.155790/
Relevancy 65.79%

It comes to system ratings. I have installed Windows 7 Release Candidate Build 7100, and one of my system ratings has changed...for the worse.

3D Business and gaming graphics performance

Windows Vista: 3.3
Wi7 Beta 7068: 3.4
Wi7 RC1 7100: 3.1

Is this going to affect my gaming performance? Am I going to see lower frame rates in the games that I play on my PC?

A:Is this going to affect my performance?

I don't think so, the best way to find out will be to do some benchmarks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/11001-going-affect-my-performance.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi, everyone! I have two questions.
The first one is: how does the CPU affect gaming? It seems that nowadays the graphics card does all the work. It handles all the rendering and even the physics which seem to be most of the workload in a game. So what is left for the CPU to do, does it really matter if you have an extreme edition six core Core i7 or a 1.3 ghz Core 2 Duo for example? And if it does then why? What does the processor do in a game?
My second question is: in a 3D modeling and animation program how is the work divided between the CPU and the graphics card? What makes a bigger difference a good CPU or a good graphics card during the 3d preview and during the rendering process and why?
Thank you! Your answers will be greatly appreciated!

A:How does the cpu affect performance?

Your GPU's job is to make an image on the screen, nothing more. That is the GPU moving the pixels around, and loading what the screen will look like in the future (i.e. gaming). The CPU needs to tell the GPU what to do, how say enemies will react to you, your every keystroke, and controlling what the game is loading for files in the folders that has the game files. Your proc does matter, because the faster the GPU and CPU work together, the faster the game.
2: GPU holds the most workload, from holding the image to showing it to you. The CPU doesn't do to much, rather the RAM in your computer. The answer would be a good GPU combined with a healthy amount of RAM.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-does-the-cpu-affect-performance.1009954/
Relevancy 65.79%

What have I done I got advice on adding a new hard drive and took the computer apart put the new drive in and now can get no power to the computer drive, power to all no hard Changed computer now at I made the mistake of trying to slide the boards out the back and I may have pulled out the small wires that hook up the front power switch Changed hard drive, now no power to computer at all and LED I tried to hook them back up as best i could do by the labels but nothing fits quite right ie connectors are four liitle bars connection is only two No other reason other than I fried it somehow with static electricity I did have to vacuum out a lot of dust Changed hard drive, now no power to computer at all and such as it was really dirty home renos I did grab what seemed to be a spare power connector that was split from the existing hard drive and used it as the power supply for the new hard drive I thought that would work OK but I guess I am in over my head Other than that I plug in the power cord switch it on on the back and then try to press the on switch on the front of the computer nothing No fan no boot nothing Not sure what I have done all I know is I have done this before I took it apart a few years ago and couldn t get any power It ended up being something very simple but I didn t end up fixing it all I know is it was a laughable problem What the heck have I done Computer is a P mgz watt power supply No fuse switch that I can see Will the computer not even go on if something is connected up wrong No idea what I have done wrong Any trouble shooting suggestions would help nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

I recently purchased a brand new hardrive for my laptop. After installing my computer won't power up. Took hard drive out and computer turns on. Does this mean I bought a bad hard drive? Thanks

Relevancy 65.79%

The new hard drive is good, could it be the IDE cable was installed backwards or bad power supply. OS Vista SP2.

A:The computer will not power on after a new hard drive was installed.

Does it power on if you disconnect the drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-computer-will-not-power-on-after-a-new-hard-drive-was-installed.1038684/
Relevancy 65.36%

Specs Motherboard EPoX EP- EPA CPU P Prescott Ghz Video Card Sapphire ATI Radeon X Pro PCI-EX GB RAM I need a new power supply and I m debating whether I should get the Antec True EPS V or the decision (power supply) Hard Aspire w yes i know you d think to yourself why would anyone even think against an Antec but my problem is the aspire one is over cheaper and it has great reviews on newegg Plus the Aspire power supply comes with pre-sleeved wires which is quite necessary for me because i Hard decision (power supply) have an extremely hot system and good airflow is a must Please can someone tell me what you think after reading my criteria And another thing will the aspire be able to handle my system w A V Antec True EPS V http www newegg com app ViewProductDesc asp description - - amp depa Aspire W http www newegg com app ViewProductDesc asp description Hard decision (power supply) - - amp depa Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Hard decision (power supply)

I would go with the aspire unless you need 30 more watts. :hotbounce

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-decision-power-supply.21120/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hey A few months back I built myself a new PC and everything was working great for a month or so no problems at all However for the past few weeks I have been having trouble with I assume my hard drive hard faulty drive? failures, Boot and getting it to boot my OS Boot failures, faulty hard drive? Win x Heres what happens I power up my PC and it goes through the quot Asus Express Gate quot and other quot BIOS stuff quot - I notice that my HDD doesnt appear in the Sata device list on the next screen it says quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot So I restart and hit Delete to check my Boot Devices in the BIOS My Samsung HDD does not appear anywhere as if it was disconnected I open up the case to check the SATA and Power connectors which are all seated firmly in their sockets The first time this happened I quot solved quot the problem by plugging the Boot failures, faulty hard drive? HDD into a different SATA port on my MB It booted up Windows fine for a couple of days but then the same thing happened again and again I tried a different SATA port with the same results I have been having this problem for around months now and recently when I have tried reseating the SATA connector Boot failures, faulty hard drive? in a different port and rebooting it is not working right away and I have to try multiple ports with much rebooting in order to get it to work I have tried using the hard drives from my old PC which work fine and I was able to boot up Win XP I checked all my drivers were up to date - which they were So I was wondering whether any of you wonderful peoples had any ideas about what may be causing this problem and any suggestions on how to fix it I suspect that I have a faulty hard drive but I d like to try whatever I can before returning it Thank you for reading any suggestions will be much appreciated Jimmy nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-failures-faulty-hard-drive.971168/
Relevancy 65.36%

I saw the following post relating to a batch of faulty hard drives and was wondering whether anyone nbsp is able to confirm nbsp the Drive Validity of Posting Faulty Hard validity of this issue nbsp https m reddit com r sysadmin comments x h f hgst Validity of Faulty Hard Drive Posting gb drive failures ref search posts nbsp Validity of Faulty Hard Drive Posting I purchased a Lenovo L a few years ago and have had endless problems with the machine Every - weeks it just wont boot up and I have to reinstall the OS I had taken it in for repairs indicating that I suspected the hard drive as the root cause of my problem but the drive was never replaced Needless to say the problems have never been resolved so I was very nbsp interested when I came across the aforementioned posting indicating that the nbsp problem was due to faulty hard disks installed in a large batch of machines manufactured around th April the same time as my L was manufactured nbsp nbsp If there is any truth to this posting I really feel I've been taken for a ride as the HDD should have been replaced whilst still under warranty when I initially took the machine in for repairs

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-L-R-and-SL-series/Validity-of-Faulty-Hard-Drive-Posting/td-p/3350537
Relevancy 65.36%

Last year i built a computer with an intel DG tl motherboard quad core q processor and seagate barracuda hard drive From the Solved: Motherboard Hard or Drive Faulty beginning Vista seemed to be having alot of problems but didnt think anything of it cause well its vista The problems were windows explorer stopped working this happened alot alot So recently ive been having problems with booting up it freezes before windows can reach the log in stage Sometimes if i let it sit a few days and replug Solved: Faulty Motherboard or Hard Drive in the SATA it will load up but eventually crashes It does alot of memory dumping too And i have changed the SATA cable ive tried that already So my question is do you think Solved: Faulty Motherboard or Hard Drive it is the motherboard or the Hard drive Ive already ruled out vista i really doubt its that My assumtion is that it is the motherboard i did some research and found out other people had problems with the board too If there is any questions that will help narrow down the possibility of whats wrong feel free to ask Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Hi I ve just updated my Win XP PC to Vista All was going well with the installation full clean install until I came to choose which drive to load Vista onto My C drive had a yellow warning triangle next to it and I was informed my hard drive was about to fail Thinking this could be a glitch I chose to install Vista anyway All was going well until a few hours later Vista informed me that the HD was failing and Drive as Vista Hard Faulty!!! Reports I should backup my data This message repeated several times over the next couple of hours Vista Reports Hard Drive as Faulty!!! and eventually I got an option to disable it which I did Now the HD was brand new in Dec and I had no problems what so ever in XP apart from maybe a slow transfer rate a few times when I backed up large quantities of data to my Gb external drive So is this just a software glitch Or should I RMA the drive My System consists of CPU Intel Core Duo E MB Gigabyte GA P-S i P RAM x Gb PC PSU Akasa W GPU GTO Mb HD Gb Samsung SP C SpinPoint P Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

My sister dropped my laptop and I am worried I may have a faulty hard drive.

Is there any good tool out there which can thoroughly check my Hard Drive for ANY error at all?

Thanks

A:Dropped my Laptop may have faulty Hard Drive

Use something like SeaTools to check condition of HDD, link to download here

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/148578-dropped-my-laptop-may-have-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I had purchased a Seagate SATA GB some months back It died within months It was in warranty so i got a replacement The replacement HD looked brand Hard Solved: New Drive: Faulty? Sata new and packed in an antistatic bag Today i took out the hard drive and connected it to my PC On starting the PC it started to give a strange spinning noise and i could hear faint clicks I checked in the BIOS It took sometime before i could Solved: New Sata Hard Drive: Faulty? get into the BIOS the red HD led was on constantly like it happens with a bad HD After a delay i got into BIOS but the HD was not detected in the BIOS I checked the connections and tried again Again not detected in Solved: New Sata Hard Drive: Faulty? BIOS I had two SATA power connectors and SATA cables I tried all of them Same result I could hear faint clicking and BIOS didnt detect the HD I have SATA ports I started to change ports Two ports didnt work Then on rd port I was able to get into BIOS without any delay and without the constant HD led glowing And there was no clicking sound and the HD was detected in the BIOS I shut down checked again It was detected again Then i did diagnostic check on the HD with the seagate tools CD It passed both the short and long tests When i did the acoustic test two times both the time drive spins and it makes a faint click at the last Now am confused should i keep this HD or should i take it for replacement again I could hear faint clicking first and no detection of the drive when i tried earlier few times But after that the HD was detected and ran fine without any clicks and it even passed the tests Is the HD faulty nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

My PC s hard drive recently failed and had to be replaced Thankfully I had a bit of warning as the drive Drive Accessing On Faulty Data Hard had been acting strangely for a while so I d backed up pretty-much everything that s important to me before the failure However there is one email that I received just Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive before the crash and which is very important to me Unfortunately I didn t have time Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive to back this up I would like to Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive try to retrieve this email from off of the faulty drive and have read quite widely on the internet that one way of possibly gaining temporary access to a faulty drive is to place the faulty drive in some ziplock bags to exclude moisture and then to deep freeze it afterwhich and once reconnected it just may work for long enough to back up important docs Some say to freeze the drive for hours and some say for at least a week but my question is no matter how long the drive is frozen for does it actually help it to work or is it just a joke with me being so stupid as to believe it I mean surely after re-connection and once the frozen drive begins to warm back up water droplets may form on its suface and circuitry which certainly wouldn t bode well for continued operation when connected to a volt supply When all is said and done I would like to retrieve my lost data but not at the expense of turning my entire PC into toast Let s suppose I keep the freshly frozen drive out of the PC case let s say on an antistatic bag and connect it to its own volt supply and not the same one as used to power the rest of the PC so that the only connection it has to the main board is by means of its SATA cable Would I be likely to do any damage this way Perhaps just worth a mention that when the drive failed it just sat there either making a clicking noise or doing nothing with the PC continually displaying the blue screen of death Ultimately can anyone suggest any better ways of gaining access to data on a faulty drive Any suggestions gratefully received nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem with my sons Sony Vaio laptop as the member in thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/909494-my-laptop-says-has-no-2.html

The Hard drive is a Seagate ST9160821AS but having looked on the net it would appear this model is not made anymore.

Does anyone know of a different model HDD that I could purchase that would be compatible with this laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

Relevancy 65.36%
A:Dell Warranty - Faulty Hard Drive

Good question!

First, what brand is the hard drive? Just about every manufacturer has their own diagnostic software. Go to their site and download it, and test the hard drive yourself.

Then, if you feel you should still send it in, wipe it clean first, using tools such as Eraser.

Hope this helps,
~Jonathan

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/57490-dell-warranty-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 65.36%

dividing you HDD into many partitions would affect your performance?

A:partitions can affect performance?

I've never tested it, but from what I hear there is little effect on performance.

The more important issue is that there typically isn't any advantage to using more than 2 or 3. I've seen people on this forum with a dozen or more partitions when they could have just used a folder structure on one partition. It just chops up the drive so that you run out of space on one or more partitions---usually sooner than you expected. It's not efficient in that way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/335296-partitions-can-affect-performance.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello.

I'm wondering how a CPU bottleneck affects the GPU's performance. Lets say I run a game at 100% total CPU usage and 80% GPU. Would a better GPU affect the fps at all?

Thanks for the input.

A:How does a CPU bottleneck affect GPU performance?

You might gain a little in minimum frame rate depending on the screen resolution/video memory usage, but little else if the CPU is theoretically maxed out with a lower performing GPU.
The 100% CPU usage would only be in certain gaming situations. Not all gaming requires intensive CPU involvement, since the rendering of most games takes place within the GPU <---> VRAM subsystem. In a scenario where the CPU is maxed out, you're dealing with either poor game coding - which induces stalling (bottlenecks) between CPU <--> RAM <--> I/O (harddrive), and/or the CPU is being tasked with a more intensive workload -example CPU physics, post processing, information needing constant updating and amending such as large game maps, game AI and dynamic objects.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-does-a-cpu-bottleneck-affect-gpu-performance.185741/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi there I wonder if anyone on this forum might be able to throw some light onto or offer some advice on this issue The HD Samsung HS TBH gb spindle speed rpm on my netbook Apricot Picobook VIA C -M mhz GB Max ram died a while back it was running XP pro as the OEM drive was a bit pricey a HD Do performance? speeds affect got a good deal Do HD speeds affect performance? on a used ex iPod Samsung HS HA gb spindle speed rpm Fitted the new drive formatted etc loaded Windows ultimate loaded OK no issues found in the device manager defraged so should all be OK However it ran painfully slow much slower than the old XP Build so slow in fact that I ve reloaded XP onto this new rpm drive which I must add is also running slow in comparison to the old XP build on the old rpm drive Now do you think this is this down to the use of a slower HD drive and do I have to go back to a rpm drive to get the most out of windows Regards

A:Do HD speeds affect performance?

Welcome to Windows 7 Support Forums!
Hard Drives have many differentiations, size, type and of course access speeds.
Speeds come in a huge varities, a rule of thumb is the higher the speeds the more expensive. I run a pair of seagates and the access speeds are 7200 rpm, SSD's are the latest technology as these are huge flash drives but they are way faster and of course more cash is required. There strength is that they have no mechanical parts to wear out.
Getting back to your issue, if you are noticing a differences with the new drive then by all means swap it out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/90526-do-hd-speeds-affect-performance.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello Community!

I am sorry if this Question is really dumb, but will it affect the Performance of 1 O/S if i install a second O/S on an other Hard Drive/Partition? Yes, or no?

For example:

Windows Vista 64 bit on HDD-1
&
Windows XP 32 bit on HDD-2

Is it better to install the second O/S on an other Partition OR an different HDD?
Will there be any Compatibility Problems of the Files? Like when you use MAC and Windows, you can't see MAC Files while MAC can see windows files.

Sorry but i am new to 64 bit, i am a Gamer too and i am going to buy an new PC soon, but sometimes i play some old Games like "Command & Conquer Generals" and I don't think this Game will run on 64, that's why I need an second 32 bit O/S.

Thanks in advance, for any help.

A:Second O/S affect's the Performance of Vista? Yes or No?

The simple answer would be NO.

A separate HDD or partition got nothing to do with a fresh Vista install. It doesn't matter where you install it. Vista will still regard your partition as a separate HDD.

Performance will depend on your CPU, RAM, Motherboard and the power of your HDD.

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/195793-second-o-s-affects-performance-vista-yes-no.html
Relevancy 65.36%

abit IC7
P4 3.0e / 800 / 1mb
1gb ddr 333 pc2700 ram
winfast a310

i was wondering that since my FSB is 800, if I run ddr333 for the time being, will it affect my overall system performance (not overclocking yet)

cheers

A:will slower ddr affect cpu performance?

FSB and DDR speeds have nothing in common. They wouldn't affect each other at all. It depends on what speed of RAM ur mobo supports. if it supports 400MHz, for example, and ur using a 333MHz module, then u will not be utilizing the full power of ur mobo that's all.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-slower-ddr-affect-cpu-performance.61009/
Relevancy 65.36%

The title pretty much says it all.

I have two processors. One is my original. One has never been used, but is of lower spec.

CPU #1:- (Current)
2.16ghz AMD Athlon 3000+ Xp

CPU #2:-
2.0ghz AMD Sempron 2800+

Basically, CPU #1 is atleast 3 - 4 years old, and I dont know if age affects performance, I have recently got a new motherboard also, which improved things slightly, but not as much as I'd hoped. So yea, is it worth me downgrading to 2ghz if CPU #1 performs less than CPU #2 due to age?

Relevancy 65.36%

Hey I have this question about processors, Is it possible that one could have a very good high end card (radeon HD series for example) and a low end processor (celeron d) and get choppy graphics and slow frame rates in games due to the processor?

A:How does the processor affect the performance of a gpu?

Yes. What you are describing is a common phenomenon known as bottlenecking. This occurs when one or more components of a system are not able to feed data at the same rate as other components, which creates a delay. This shows up as less-than-ideal performance. Most new cards upto the level of a 7900GT or so will work quite well with a newer Prescott-based Pentium 4 at 2.4GHz or so. But anything beyond that, such as an 8800 series card or an X1950XTX will deliver poor performance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-does-the-processor-affect-the-performance-of-a-gpu.87618/
Relevancy 64.93%

My idiot friend dropped my hard drive recently when we were doing some file transfers It didn t fall far but it landed on the back end where the cuts power drive Computer off hard when USB is plugged in cables plug in I immediately tested it on his computer to make sure it was all right and it was Another friend used it as well without difficulty However when I got home and tried to plug it in Computer power cuts off when USB hard drive is plugged in power immediately cut from my computer as if the cord had been pulled After this occurs it will not reboot unless I unplug the hard drive take out the battery and unplug and replug Computer power cuts off when USB hard drive is plugged in the power cable It will occur no matter which port I plug the drive into I have tested several other devices which still work fine The ports are in working order The cable itself will Computer power cuts off when USB hard drive is plugged in produce no unusual result and I have tested it with other cables to be certain and it still crashes once the hard drive is attached even when the hard drive is not turned on or plugged in it has its own power supply The results are highly repeatable and I have tried just about every variation I can think of troubleshooting I read several similar cases online and tried what they said such as toying with my USB driver settings uninstalling and allowing windows to reinstall the drivers and getting into my BIOS to mess with the USB power settings The first two had no effect and my BIOS has no USB options whatsoever I have no idea what to do I have also since tried it on another computer just to be absolutely certain and it works fine there My computer is the only one that has given me trouble with it It is also worth noting that I have had this hard drive for more than a year now without any such problems previously so it is highly unlikely that it was just a coincidence My computer http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E My hard drive http www newegg com product product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Computer power cuts off when USB hard drive is plugged in

You could buy another External casing for the HDD? Just take take apart the current casing, take out the hard drive and place it in the new casing, and it'll be a different port on the new casing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-power-cuts-off-when-usb-hard-drive-is-plugged-in.895841/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello Everyone help advice needed please I have a HP laptop that had TB c drive i from Drive Hard Data been thats Recover Faulty partitioned partitioned it into two further drives Drive E and Drive F both had been assigned a drive letter weeks ago my laptops hard drive became faulty and i sent it off to repair with Knowhow I asked my data to be recovered before they put in a new one So what they did was only save what was on my C drive which was hardly anything and NOTHING of my other two important drives Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned E F was saved at all I phoned them up and spoke to the IT section and they said they will send the faulty hard drive back and for me to return it back to them via the store with an external hard drive so it can be recovered so what i want to know is can the data be recovrerd as EVERYTHING was saved on those two drives I have been told various things One said it cant be recovered because the main C drive was partitioned and someone else said it can be i do regular backups but since begining of this year i have not been able to as i was hospitalised in ICU and everything i did before that i didnt manage to backup and now i fear all that has been lost can anyone reassure me that it will be recovwred

A:Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned

As long as the 3 partitions where not over-written by "Knowhow" the data should all be intact and readable to the extent that the drive is readable..

when you get your old HDD back - purchase a HDD to USB external adapter - and you should be able to access the data..
to copy it over to another HDD > that is what they are going to do..

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65909-recover-data-faulty-hard-drive-thats-been-partitioned.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Have viewed the prior fixes for this error however unable to shrink or move files due to a faulty hard drive. Any suggestions??? Outlook is not responding and I need HELP as I am trying to back up prior to installing the new hard drive!!! It is noted the restore points (both auto and manual) do not appear so I'm also unable to restore to a prior point when everything was working. Also need clarification (more simple instructions) on how to query for the defective cluster(s) to see if I may be able to fix or somehow get around my hard drive problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-pst-error-0x8007045d-faulty-hard-drive.918357/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi About a month ago I posted a problem I was hard drive...or Dead enclosure? faulty external having with my very old Dell Dimension giving me an FDC failure error instead of booting up I tried every recommended solution multiple times before finally giving up and deciding to just get a new computer rather than throw good money after bad Dead hard drive...or faulty external enclosure? I bought a new Dell Inspiron s from Dell Outlet thanks for the rec Compaq which I received earlier this week My plan was to take out the Dead hard drive...or faulty external enclosure? old hard drive and use it as a secondary drive on the new one until I discovered that wouldn t be possible because the Inspiron isn t compatible with PATA Eh no problem I ll just turn it into an external drive instead So I bought an Acomdata external enclosure followed the installation instructions carefully and connected the external hard drive to the new desktop through the USB port The computer won t recognize the drive I tried it on my laptop and had the same problem not recognized and not listed in the device manager The LED on the enclosure lights up but the drive isn t spinning or powering up at all Could it be that my hard drive is actually dead when all along I thought my motherboard was fried Is there any way I can recover the data on the drive nbsp

Relevancy 64.5%

im jsut wondering, because i have windows 7 ultimate 32 bit, but i've made another partition and installed 7 64 bit, and im using it now. but would having windows 7 32 bit on the main partition affect the performance of the 64 bit in any way? (except for the space in hard drive)

A:does having two windows on different partitions affect performance??

No you will never notice a difference.
I have been multi booting for 10 years.

Just be sure that when installing drivers that they are put in the correct place.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/does-having-two-windows-on-different-partitions-affect-performance-469128.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Would buying a 512mb video card instead of a 256mb help with large image files?

A:How does the video card affect 2D performance?

Nope.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-does-the-video-card-affect-2d-performance.496359/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello -- I m about to PC new their affect -- performance processor about on Getting and questions be getting a new PC notebook as soon as I decide what I want I cannot get a new computer very often so it s important to me to spend a lot of time learning about the different specs before I choose what I want I ve done a good deal of reseach but I find forums are generally the only the place I can Getting new PC -- questions about processor and their affect on performance find answers that are really relevant to the information that I m looking for so I greatly appreciate any advice information suggestions ect that anyone has to offer I ve got my choices narrowed down to a Dell Studio a Dell Studio XPS an HP HDX t an HP dv t Quad Edition a Sony Vaio VGN-FW and a Sony Vaio VGN-AW I have some questions about the options that I m given for the processor First I d like to know how much the processor really affects performance I m going to be doing a lot of developing programming and graphics design as well as a decent amount of gaming as well as watching a lot of movies it will be p and have a drive capable of reading writing Blu-rays Of course I ll also be doing a lot of the standard internet surfing e-mail and word processing I m pretty sure I want a dual processor and not a quad and I ve been looking over the Core Duo options that come with some of these computers and I m curious -- the least expensive option that most of the computers I listed above give me is the Core Duo T with GHz MHz FSB and MB cache and the most expensive one offered is the Core Duo T with GHz MHz FSB and MB cache I don t really know what each of these specs mean or how much they affect performance and I d be glad to learn about that if anyone has the time but I m more concerned with the overall difference in performance between the two processors In comparing a processor like the T with one like the T how much of a difference would I really notice in the way my computer operates Also would I only notice this difference when gaming or working with graphics or other heavy applications or would the difference in performance be apparent with even simple tasks like internet browsing or just browsing around the computer in general I know this is a general question but I m only looking for a general answer -- I just want some idea of how much of a difference there is between these two processors and if it s significant enough that it s worth the extra four to six hundred dollars that it costs Price is not a particularly huge concern for me but it is definitely something to be considered for me nonetheless I know there is an E model I forget the exact number of Core Duo that has GHz or something like that even more than the T in other words but none of the computers that I ve narrowed my decision down to have that processor as an option So how difficult is it to upgrade to a better processor later on For example if I bought the cheapest one the T with the PC would it be difficult for me to switch it out for the E model processor the GHz one later on I m not sure if I d want to do this or not but I d like to know if it is a reasonable option Is there any reason I should consider a quad processor over a dual one Right now I am inclined to just go with a good dual processor but are there any reasons that I might want to go with a quad instead I ve done some research on this and from what I read there seem to be split opinions on which is better but I m comfortable with the Core Duo since I have it on this MacBook and it has been great as far as I know so I ve been leaning towards that but I just wanted to check Thank you very much for any help anyone can offer me with this -- it is very much appreciated nbsp

A:Getting new PC -- questions about processor and their affect on performance

First, I'd like to know how much the processor really affects performance.Click to expand...

The CPU speed / no. of cores greatly affect performance in case of heavy content creation. Most new games are being optimized to use processors having 2 or more cores.

I know there is an E model (I forget the exact number) of Core 2 Duo that has 3.16GHz or something like that (even more than the T9900 in other words), but none of the computers that I've narrowed my decision down to have that processor as an option.Click to expand...

The processor you're talking about is the E8500. However, that is not available for laptops as far as my knowledge goes. The E series Wolfdales are all desktop processors.
The T9900 is Intel's top Core 2 Duo offering for laptops. Next is the Core 2 Extreme series which features the QX9300 quad core. Fianlly come the Core i7 and Core i7 Extreme Edition.

Is there any reason I should consider a quad processor over a dual one.Click to expand...

As I mentioned earlier the quad core will have advantages in areas pertaining to content creation and applications that can make use of the multiple cores. But if there's a great price difference I'd stick with dual.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/getting-new-pc-questions-about-processor-and-their-affect-on-performance.136670/