Windows Support Forum

Replacing routers on a home wireless network set up

Q: Replacing routers on a home wireless network set up

I m trying to replace two wireless routers in a home wireless network set up The network consists of One Belkin router going into a Cable Modem Time Warner In the LAN ports of this router there are two connections that represent data ports upstairs a network Replacing wireless routers home set up on I can t get into the config sheet of this router The second Belkin router is Replacing routers on a home wireless network set up in the lady s study and it is hard-wired to its WAN port I can get into the config page and it is and it has DHCP Replacing routers on a home wireless network set up on although curiously when I wirelessly connect to it and right click the wireless network connection in the properties sheet it shows as access point The third Belkin router is in a bedroom at Replacing routers on a home wireless network set up the opposite end of the house and it wasn t hard wired and I can t get into its config sheet My guess is that it must have been hard wired into the data port on the wall as these routers can not act as wireless repeaters When I swap numbers and out neither of the two new ones can connect to the Internet which makes me think that router is mac address controlled or the cable modem is blocking Internet access I m at the point where I think I am going to have to break everything and start from scratch but I am hesitant without knowing how the existing network was set up as ideally I just want to mimic it but with fresh hardware On the new routers when I connect to the interface I can set up all the security etc but the only thing that is missing is internet connectivity Cyber pint to anyone that can shed any light on what I should do next nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Replacing routers on a home wireless network set up

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Replacing routers on a home wireless network set up

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacing-routers-on-a-home-wireless-network-set-up.916973/
Relevancy 70.52%

I ve recently upgraded my internet provider to BT and received a BT Home Hub as the new wireless router Previous to this I was using a wireless Belkin G MIMO ADSL router model number F D - There are places in the house where the wireless signal is very poor Connecting to the internet using either of these routers is difficult in these spots However since the Belkin is now spare I ve been thinking about trying to use it as a low cost repeater i e free to extend the wireless range in the house There are several good articles that I ve found on this a a link routers wireless network between two wireless wireless using Extend site which address the connection of two routers together e g John Will s article on connecting two SOHO routers is a good example but they rely on an ethernet connection between the two routers I m just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a way to establish a wireless link between the two routers to extend the range of the current wireless network Cheers everyone and thanks in advance nbsp

A:Extend a wireless network using a wireless link between two wireless routers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend-a-wireless-network-using-a-wireless-link-between-two-wireless-routers.1074102/
Relevancy 69.66%

I have a network that is currently set up in the following way:
Modem -> vonage Motorola router -> wireless router

Most computers are hard wired to the Motorola router. Some other ones connect via the linkseys wireless router. All computers are able to connect to the Internet.

The problem I have is that I will be setting up a home computer as a file server connected to the Motorola router. The network acts as though it is two meaning that computers on one router can't see computers on the other router. What steps should I take in order to make all computers accessible through both routers.

Don't know if this helps:
When I type 192.168.1.1 from a computer on the Motorola router, I get nothing, when I type in my actual ip address, I get the Motorola router. When I type in 192.168.1.1 from a linkseys connected computer, I get access to the linkseys router.

A:Home network with two routers

Why aren't they all using the same router?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-with-two-routers.1035964/
Relevancy 69.66%

Searching through the internet i have found many tutorials about setting up 2 routers on one network and it's messed up my internet. "Router A" is a Tomson TG585 (This is my primary 1). "Router B" is a BT Voyager 2110. In the study is Router A and I want Router B in my room (To long away for a cable). Also Router B seems to restart/refresh its self every 10 seconds so I cant acssess any of Router B's settings.

Someone please help me!!!!

Relevancy 69.66%

I am getting ready to set up a home network to share my internet connection between multiple computers. I have been looking at a couple different brands of routers, and was wondering if anybody had any comments about them. I have been looking at Linksys, D-Link, and Netgear brands (basically because thats all our local computer shops offer, and I don't have a ton of money). Do you have any comments or suggestions about those brands? I won't be carrying a heavy load, I don't do gaming or anything, just basic internet surfing, email etc.... Thanks for the help.

A:home network routers

Hi

If I was you I would go look in the local newspaper and get the cheapest one you can find. At least that's what I did and I have had no problems in 2 years sharing 4 computers on a network. I have a Belkin router(with 5 ports). That was the one that was on sale at the time I wanted to set up my network. Any of the ones you mentioned are fine. I think networks fail more because someone doesn't know how to set them up correctly or doesn't maintain them. The router shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-routers.45702/
Relevancy 69.66%

I ve read John Will s instructions for configuring routers on a home network and it makes sense so far I do have a couple of questions that maybe someone could answer for me When I change the IP address of the secondary router will Network Routers 2 Home on that change the on-line configuration site for that router The router manufacturer gives an ip to go to do the configs and I wonder if this will somehow change or not 2 Routers on Home Network be accessable Second you say run the ethernet cable from the lan port on the primary to a lan port on the secondary router This means ports - it s a port and not the one that says quot internet quot Primary router is Netgear RP secondary router is Linksys WRT GS Thanks in advance JohnWill said Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router For instance DHCP server addresses through I d assign the secondary router as it s IP address Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router Connect from the primary router s LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports use a cross-over cable Leave the WAN port unconnected Click to expand nbsp

A:2 Routers on Home Network

DTinVA said:

I've read John Will's instructions for configuring 2 routers on a home network and it makes sense so far. I do have a couple of questions that maybe someone could answer for me.

When I change the IP address of the secondary router, will that change the on-line configuration site for that router? The router manufacturer gives an ip to go to do the configs and I wonder if this will somehow change or not be accessable.

Yes, when you change the base address of the router, that becomes the new address to access it's setup pages. As long as you follow the instructions and keep it in the same subnet as the primary router, you can access it freely from any connected computer. Note the detail of it being outside the DHCP server pool of the primary router.
Second, you say run the ethernet cable from the lan port on the primary to a lan port on the secondary router. This means ports 1-4 (it's a 4 port) and not the one that says "internet?"Click to expand...

Correct, you leave the WAN/Internet port empty on the second router. You are using the second router as a switch, and if it's wireless, you can use the wireless capability. I have a pair of wireless routers here on opposite ends of the house wired that way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-routers-on-home-network.504330/
Relevancy 69.66%

Need 2 seperate wireless routers, each with its own cable modem, to run in the same house off the same homes internet cable but in different rooms. Is this possible or would they interfer with each other? The first router is already setup and working fine. I simply want to setup my own router from a different room. My PC is running XP and the others are running XP, Windows 7 and Vista.

Relevancy 69.23%

I live in a large house that has ethernet ports throughout the house. I need to have two separate wireless routers to insure I have wireless coverage. There will be one upstairs and one downstairs. Is there any advantages or disadvantages in naming both of the wireless networks with the same name?

Thank you for looking.

A:Solved: Naming a wireless network using two wireless routers

I wouldn't use two SOHO wireless routers for this.

The better way is to use APs from companies like Aruba Networks, Ubiquiti, or Meraki. These companies have APs which allow them to operate as one unified wireless network without the expense of purchasing a wireless controller. By doing this, you have the ability to add APs anytime you want which will join the AP cluster and operate as a unified device with the cluster. It allows the ability to have the APs being aware of each other and as a result adjust their output transmissions so they won't be stomping on each other running full blast. It allows you to use one or more SSIDs which all the APs will service and hence more seamless roaming throughout your house; without issues inherent with using independent APs or with SOHO wireless routers configured to use the same SSID. These systems also have the ability to constantly auto select operating channels in both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands so your wireless network is always operating at the best efficiency/performance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-naming-a-wireless-network-using-two-wireless-routers.1139849/
Relevancy 68.8%

Ok im trying to set up a home network using two routers..i drew a picture in paint...please dont batter my drawing skills....anyway i tried everything to get this working...the befsr41 is second router and the wcg200 is the main router with a built in modem both are made by linksys...i tried disabling dhcp on the second router but it wont grab an ip from the wcg200..i tried setting everything statically on the befsr41 side and still no go...but its weird when i have the befsr41 set to dhcp i can get on the internet and everything...but then most of my programs and games dont work...so if anyoen knows what wrong here any help would be
appreciated thanx

A:Home Network not working - two routers

What are the distances between red and blue?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-not-working-two-routers.81271/
Relevancy 68.8%

This may seem like a slightly bizzare request but basically me and my housemate have just moved into our new house and we have separate desktops in separate rooms that are too far apart to reach via a wired connection and there is no space for cabling through the Using connections Network Routers Home different 2 from walls due to the amount of graphics cards being used in each desktop as well we were unable to install a wireless card due to lack of PCI slots meaning a wireless connection is not really an option unless we use a USB wireless connection which we are trying to avoid due to speed issues I was Home Network Using 2 Routers from different connections therefore wandering Home Network Using 2 Routers from different connections if its possible to use separate routers plugged in to different phone plugs on the wall to allow us both to access the internet We are not bothered about being on a network or anything like this we only wish to both have fast internet access I called the o tech support people and they claimed that if we used a different router plugged into a different phone plug this would allow us both to use internet just on separate networks and i would just like to ask if anyone knows if this is true Home Network Using 2 Routers from different connections Thanks in advance Hotcrossbun nbsp

A:Home Network Using 2 Routers from different connections

Well you can do that... Sure. Well just use 2 modems and then one router and plug both of the modems into the router and then connect the router to the computers!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-using-2-routers-from-different-connections.945575/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hey guys, so I recently signed up for Centurylink Prism TV and internet, they use a Cisco DDR2200 (modem+wireless router combo) which I've come to realize is only a "g" router, so I purchased a cheap Belkin N150 (which I intend to use as my main router). I've turned the wireless function off on the Cisco and have an ethernet cable running from a LAN port on the Cisco to the internet port on the Belkin.

The issue I'm having is how do I set up the IP addresses/DHCP servers for both routers? By default, the Cisco's IP address is 192.168.1.254 (I know, weird right?) with a DHCP range of 192.168.1.63 - 192.168.1.253. Whereas the Belkin's IP address is 192.168.2.1 . I guess I'm sort of at a loss on how to set this up to optimize my network. I appreciate all of the help!

Relevancy 68.8%

Well, next week I am wiring my house with CAT-6. I'm going to have a firewall, and 2 routers in the computer room, from the firewall, CAT-6 Cables will go through the house to the living room, the garage, the bedroom, the kitchen and the work shop. All of which I am planning on giving their own routers, preferably all the same type; but I can't decide which one to use. Should I use the Netgear WGR614:

or the Linksys/Cisco WRT54G:

Relevancy 67.94%

I have 3 computers in our home network. My computer is in our bedroom with Vista OS which is connected to a USRobotic router that connects to the cable modem. From the USrobotics router there is another network cable that runs down to the basement to a lynksys switch, where a computer with XP Pro is attached(hopping to change it to Linux OS and make it a server) from that switch another cable runs to the garage to a lynksys router that runs a cable to a spare bedroom connecting compact machine with XP home edtion, that has a printer, copier connected to it.
I would like to access that printer from the other 2 computers.
How do I configure the routers to do this? and maybe the switch too.
Thank
Ron

Relevancy 67.94%

Hi I am experiencing loss over home routers Packet network - two packet loss over my home network in the following configuration I have two wireless routers D-Link connected to a cable modem via WAN port Belkin Wireless N router with quot Act as access point enabled quot A wireless laptop connects to either access point or a PC connects directly into router or into router via a switch plugged into one of the ports on router A meter cable runs between the two routers on a LAN port When the cable is connected I experience some packet loss when pinging youtube com and a slowing down when accessing secure http sites from either Packet loss over home network - two routers router Youtube com malfunctions when playing videos -- but most other web usage appears to work If I disconnect the uplink cable then I have none of the above symptoms I m currently using a patch cable to link the routers Update I have just borrowed a brand-new meter cross-over cable and I m getting the same packet loss with that as the uplink cable in at least two scenarios pings to youtube com via a PC plugged directly into router gives packet loss A wireless client connected to either access point gives Lost loss Then a PC plugged into the switch which is also plugged into router router gives Lost loss What I m doing seems to be quite common and I ve read of successful setups on this forum Please could someone advise nbsp

A:Packet loss over home network - two routers

Check the wiring of the cable, it would be my top suspect.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/packet-loss-over-home-network-two-routers.941862/
Relevancy 67.94%

I m trying to set up two routers in my home network so I can have more Ethernet jacks in my home network My one router alone does 2 Home Running in Solved: Network my Routers not have enough ports to feed all my computers so I thought I would hook up my older router but I m not sure exactly how I need to do this My primary router which is receiving the signal from my DSL modem is D-link DIR- which I hope to run in wireless N as well The second router is a USR which I hope to run in wireless G for legacy devices Here is generally what I am trying to achieve Basically the red lines represent the connection router setting changes I need to make between the two routers Since the routers Solved: Running 2 Routers in my Home Network are literally right next to one another I can either wire them together or go wireless whichever is easier I ve tried running an Ethernet cable from LAN Solved: Running 2 Routers in my Home Network port of the D-link to LAN port on the USR with mixed results one one occasion I lost my wireless G signal and on another several of my wired devices wouldn t connect I also tried running a Ethernet cable from jack on the D-link to the WAN input on the USR and successfully transmitted a wireless G signal from the USR but could not get a wired connection from the USR I really have no idea what to do Could someone tell me what I should be doing nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

I have an HP Spectre x laptop that was purchased with Windows approximately months ago For the first several weeks I had no issues connecting to routers Issue Wifi 10 home wireless Windows on the internet using Windows 10 Wifi Issue on home wireless routers my home wireless router Then something went wrong because now I am having issues connecting to the internet At times I will connect for a few seconds and then get quot No internet quot and other times I cannot connect at all I have restored my machine to factory settings multiple times and removed the McAfee anti-virus software from the laptop I've also removed and reinstalled the latest network driver multiple times When I use the troubleshooting feature it tells me there are missing network components I generated a event log report and the last event that caused a disconnect reads as follows WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully disconnected from a wireless network Reason The network is disconnected by the driver I've tried to connect to the internet using a couple other home wireless routers and get the same negative result Although I am able to connect to the internet successfully using my Verizon Hotspot and through a secure WPA connection I'm running Windows Version My network driver is Intel Dual Band Wireless AC Any help would be greatly appreciated

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/32109-windows-10-wifi-issue-home-wireless-routers.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Ok so I am in a rough spot and could really use some help I was so happy to find this kind of service available to the community Thank you to everyone involved for making this service available I m not accustomed to typing out these kinds of issues so please bear with me I am fairly good with computers and in need of more income I decided to start doing some contracting work on my own and this is my first networking gig I have a lot 2 & Network Wireless Routers With NAS of experience with computers but almost zero business networking experience I have setup routers modems and wifi at multiple residential locations So I thought it wouldn t be a problem Wireless Network With 2 Routers & NAS taking on an upgrade networking project for a small auto repair business Turns out I couldn t get things working and am at a loss as to how to resolve the situation I m not sure if it s a router hardware compatibility setup Wireless Network With 2 Routers & NAS or settings issue or all the above I m feeling a little defeated and could really use some guidance Current Scenario They have Time Warner Business Class internet service I m assuming this is DSL There is a front desk computer an office computer with a wireless router and then multiple laptops throughout the location that share internet access on an already installed setup wifi network In the garage area a fairly large distance from the front desk and office is where the Time Warner modem and another wireless router are installed and mounted Equipment I m adding I setup new computers and printers for their front desk and office area We got a new router a Netgear Nighthawk to replace the cheaper and older ASUS model presently in the office We also got Buffalo Tech NAS to automatically back up all computers on the network and have remote file access Here is the problem I didn t know the modem for the internet was in the garage I assumed it to be in the office I originally thought the router in the garage to be just another access point or a wife extended network of sorts Now I m realizing it may be the main router I replaced the office router with the new router and it wouldn t work All the lights came on except for internet connection I even let the wizard have me user the prior router s exact same settings and it still didn t work None of the windows or router wizards could resolve the problem I tried different computers and that wasn t the issue So I disconnected the new router put the old one back in place and everything worked fine again I then went to the garage where there is the mounted router and attempted to replace that one It also did not work for me This router has a connection that the new router doesn t have I believe it is a Coaxial cable Even though this new Netgear Nighthawk router is one of the best out there right now it doesn t have this I hooked everything up minus the coaxial cable and it did not work for me I was sure to hook up everything else that was attached to the previous router I did reboot and reset in both orders to see if that helped and it didn t So I put the old router back up so that business would not be affected That is where I am stuck I m not sure what I m missing but since I m only allowed one question I will phrase it in terms of the outcome I would like to achieve if possible Of course I m open to any suggestions How do I install the new router and NAS in the office and have everything up and running correctly The router in the office presently does not have a coaxial cable either I am hoping to replace this one with the new router I d love to just leave the garage alone and simply replace the office router and add NAS there If I HAVE to put new router in garage I would have to make a new wall mount and there is no location ideal for NAS equipment I also don t know how this coaxial cable comes into play I m kind of in over my head and would really appreciate some help before I make a fool myself fingers crossed I have to work on thi... Read more

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi guys Wireless Network? Routers the on Same Two I currently have a Netgear DG PN Wireless Modem Router that plugs into my Gaming PC and my Dad s PC through ethernet However due Two Wireless Routers on the Same Network? to firewall problems I cannot run game servers that go to the net So I thought of this Is there a way to hook up two wireless routers onto the same network Or phone line I tried hooking the netgear router and a spare Netcomm Modem up through a phone line with a double adapter on the end and a spare modem connecting the Belkin to the internet but one would connect and the other would say its connected but wouldn t go to Google Is there a way to get pass this I m guessing I might have to ring the ISP but I dunno what to say about it My second theory was that if I hook the Belkin up from the Netgear and set it up I could connect my Laptop Server up to that Wiereless didn t work however running straight from cable did but when I went to login to the Router settings it went straight to the Netgear instead of the Belkin Is there a way to make it only go to the Belkin Thanks for your help UPDATE I can connect wirelessly from my Laptop with the Belkin plugged into the Netgear but it won t connect to internet even though its saying im connected to the Belkin wirelessly nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

Please responed...

This is what i really hope to set up.
Its really all there..
if someone could tell me what i have to do...

BTW- the routers are both linksys.

The Link--- img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mynetworkqr0.png

thanks!!

A:Please Help Answer About My New Network And 2 Wireless Routers in One Network

I know English is not your first language... What is your question? Your link isn't posted properly

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-answer-about-my-new-network-and-2-wireless-routers-in-one-network.107291/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello What I am trying to do is set up wireless routers on the same network Here is a diagram of my shop that i am trying to do this in The first router is set up like this Modem Router port switch Router Now i have a router set up the orange square in the on up 2 same Setting network wireless routers office and it broadcast the wireless signal about as far as the orange circle i have it set up as with the dhcp turned on to Setting up 2 wireless routers on same network give out - The second router set up in shop is connected with a cable running from the switch to shop Its ip is and the dhcp is handing out - The cable running to the second router is plugged into LAN port not the WAN port The wireless on Router will not reach Router hinse why i Setting up 2 wireless routers on same network hard-wired it I have one computer plugged into LAN port of Router and i am having no problems with it My problems are with the laptops trying to run off the wireless They connect for a minute then disconnect They are not out of range because i have them sitting right next to Router I can set it up to were Router network is diffrent from Router and i can get on the internet Setting up 2 wireless routers on same network fine But the desktop wired to Router needs to be on the same network as everyone elses on Router because there are files on the server hooked to Router that we need access to If someone can give me a hint on what i am doing wrong for Router it would be appreciated nbsp

A:Setting up 2 wireless routers on same network

why not let the first router do all the DHCP ?

see here

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
From a John Will Post

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-2-wireless-routers-on-same-network.1040875/
Relevancy 67.08%

Please can someone help and explain something to a complete numpty Started off Set To Through Routers Me A 2 Wireless Talk Using Network Please Up How using an Origo AR Modem Router for wired PCs - Please Talk Me Through How To Set Up A Wireless Network Using 2 Routers which worked perfectly We got a laptop and wanted to go wireless so bought a Linksys WRK G wireless router I plugged the Internet port on the Linksys into the one of the ethernet ports on the Origo and left the wired PC into the Origo - the internet worked fined on wireless and wired PC BUT also wanted to network the computers so plugged a cable between one of the ethernet ports on each router - this worked OK too and now had internet and could share files amp printers Firstly does that sound like the right way to do things With it set up as above the two routers used to go crazy sometimes and all the lights would flash quickly and there d be Please Talk Me Through How To Set Up A Wireless Network Using 2 Routers no connection anywhere This is solved by switching off back on the routers Now fiddling around with Please Talk Me Through How To Set Up A Wireless Network Using 2 Routers it today to sort out another problem it seems I don t need the internet cable plugged in - with it like this I can t get into the Linksys s settings using Please could someone tell me the proper way to do it Thanks Phil nbsp

A:Please Talk Me Through How To Set Up A Wireless Network Using 2 Routers

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-talk-me-through-how-to-set-up-a-wireless-network-using-2-routers.520095/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have three home desktop computers all with windows 7 ultimate and connected to internet by ethernet cable via a Dlink n router DIR 628.

I know I can connect a printer installed to one computer and then sharing it through Windows 7's homegroup sharing. But I guess the printer can't be shared if the computer its plugged to is not ON.

The Dlink router has a usb slot at the back. Can I share the Printer on the home network thru the routers usb slot?. The printer has no ethernet port.

A:Solved: Can I connect a Printer to home network thru routers usb slot?

support site for that dlink http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=670 - with manual - click on "support resources"
The USB appears to be available only to setup wireless settings - so NO you cant use for printer - But you can buy print servers which will connect to the LAN connection - USB print server HUB - belkin make 2 one for just lan and one for wireless - but there others available

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-i-connect-a-printer-to-home-network-thru-routers-usb-slot.918022/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi Im trying to improve my home network Currently I have the modem and wireless router setup in my basement with one computer hardwired to the router and multiple laptops spread throughout the house However the laptops at the top of my house do not have good signal My house is wired with ethernet cabling throughout the house and walls to help or Routers Points Access Need with multiple network home setup What Need help to setup home network with multiple Access Points or Routers I want to do is to take advantage of this wiring and setup multiple routers or AP s throughout house not sure about difference Also to even allow some laptops to connect with an ethernet cable rather than wireless I am not sure how to do this currently All the ethernet cableing Need help to setup home network with multiple Access Points or Routers converge in my garage as an unfinished mess see pic I wanted to run a cable from my router to a plug in the wall which would take the signal to my garage I would then need some kind of device like a hub or switch but i am not sure what kind of device I was hoping it would then distribute the signal to the other wires and send it throuought the house I then wanted to connect another device that would like another router or AP in a another part of the house but am unsure what kind of device and how to do so If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated nbsp

A:Need help to setup home network with multiple Access Points or Routers

With Ethernet wiring available you have some nice choices;
use wires to access remote locations
and place wireless in the room(s) needed
Likely you can just wire to each floor and the garage and then let the wireless be accessed from those locations.

The Modem==>#1Router can control all the DHCP assignments and assuming that you only need four remote locations, you can use a 4-port router. If you need more than four, you will need a Switch, eg
Code:
modem==router---switch-- four connections
|
+---- three more connections
Each port from the router is wired to an Access Point or a WiFi router (doesn't matter so use whatever you have). The trick is
disable the dhcp in each Wifi device
attached the ethernet from #1Router to any LAN slot on the WiFi (leaving its Wan slot empty)
This will place all the WiFi on the same subnet as #1 router and sharing et al works across the board

WiFi setups:
start with just one to get the setup running and then you can use that as a template to
config the others. When performing this task, ALWAYS connect a pc to the Wifi device with a cable!

a) change the SSID to something unique to you but not obviously name, address ,,, (
you could add a suffix to it to identify one from the other

b) set a unique channel on each WiFi router to reduce interferrence.
(if you're using a DSL service, then make sure all phones in the house have a new filter attached)

c) enable encryption (WPA2 or WPA in that order) and set the passphrase (can be the same for all wifi devices)

d) for heaven's sake, change the admin password and save it.
(this will disconnect your PC from the device being configure so don't be shocked)

disconnect from the Wifi device and attempt a wireless connection.
Once this works, you can repeat for each of the others.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-to-setup-home-network-with-multiple-access-points-or-routers.154687/
Relevancy 66.65%

I am having connecting two Express in Problems Home Routers network! Airport all sorts of problems with the set up and performance of two Airport Extremes at a client house One Airport Express AE is connected in the basement directly to a cablevision modem The second airport extreme is connected in the Office to an ethernet Jack in the wall On two different occasions I have felt like they were set up correctly but somehow the wireless is still intermittent Sometimes I cannot connect to the wireless and other times the network just goes down I am creating a network with the AE Basement and designating a SSID and no encryption I am duplicating this for the GHZ Band as well THen I am setting the AE- Office using a bridge connection and the same SSID and no encryption like the AE-Basement I have read alot about how Problems connecting two Airport Express Routers in Home network! to do Problems connecting two Airport Express Routers in Home network! this set up but either I am not doing something right or the AE Devices are faulty I would greatly appreciate any help or tips on how to get this set up to work Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-connecting-two-airport-express-routers-in-home-network.1073953/
Relevancy 66.22%

I have a problem that comes with a long story so sorry i have cable internet which is set up inside my house the cable modem is connecet to a Two see routers cant on wireless network Solved: computers wireless router via a ethernet cable to the wan port This is then connected to a wireless access router via port one of wr to the wan port of wr this is set up in an office about mts away from wr on wr i have disabled the wireless as this caused many problems an connected an access point as advised by dlink wr also has two other computers Solved: Two wireless routers cant see computers on network connected to it including an exchange server these are connected to the wr ports All computers can connect to the internet via Solved: Two wireless routers cant see computers on network the access point or wr or wr without an issue All computers in the area of wr and the access point can see all computers on the network but when anything is connected to wr they cannot see the exchange server or any computers on the network lan settings as advised by dlink wr wr I am at my witts end nbsp

A:Solved: Two wireless routers cant see computers on network

Here's the recipe for connecting two routers to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-two-wireless-routers-cant-see-computers-on-network.656402/
Relevancy 65.79%

Can someone give me some advice on how to set up a basic network using two 2600 routers and a 2900 Cisco switch ? Not as far as commands but do I need to use NAT ? I have Comcast as my ISP. Please help me !

A:Setting up a basic home network with 2 Cisco 2600 Routers and switch

we always need nat.

Most of the time the connections look like
Code:

modem----router --- other devices and/or switchs --- still more devices
There are a FEW cases where the modem needs to be set to BRIDGE mode, but
don't go there unless it all fails.

Keep it simple to start with [ modem---router---one system]

see this for testing your ISP connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-a-basic-home-network-with-2-cisco-2600-routers-and-switch.128589/
Relevancy 61.06%

I did not set up my pc's to share over my home wireless network, but suddenly today I see that all drives and the printer are available between each computer. I had tried to set up the computers to share months ago, but never got it to work and gave up.

The desktop is old, running WinME, one laptop is running WinXPpro, the other laptop is running Vista. They are all connected to a Westell router/dsl modem for internet through Verizon.

So, I turn the desktop off daily. Today I go to turn it off and it says the WinXP laptop is connected and do I really want to shut down. I go to windows explorer on both machines and sure enough I have access to the other drives on each computer. I start the Vista machine and see the same.

Am I compromised?

A:MY home computers suddenly sharing over home wireless network

If you didn't make the change to share all drives, then somebody did. I would assume the worst. Time to reformat and reinstall.

Windows ME is past end of life, and no security updates are provided by MS. I wouldn't run it anymore. Maybe you'd want to try out some linux distros, some are quite good on old hardware. See this review:
http://www.linux.com/feature/52134

It seems you don't have a separate router, I would advise you to get one. I have a modem/router too but I also have a separate hardware firewall/router. The modem/router does NAT but I constantly see connections/attacks making it past the modem/router to my firewall. Having a separate router is a good thing.

Since you are using wireless, did you enable the encryption? If you have WPA or WPA2 use them and setup a long and complicated passphrase. Use WEP if you have no other choice cause WEP can be broken into real quick. You must enable encryption because with wireless, all your machines are sitting ducks when you have close range attackers, whereas with wired, at least you still have a perimeter which you can fortify with a firewall. Also it is especially important to have software firewalls on Each PC when using wireless.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-home-computers-suddenly-sharing-over-home-wireless-network.688238/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a problem with my home wireless network. My network operatates at 2.4 GHz and so does my home wireless phone. Everytime my phone rings I get disconnected from my wireless network. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

A:Everytime my wireless home phone rings I get disconnected from my wireless network.

Welcome to Tech Spot

Do you have 802 B or 802 G wireless?

When I was in Best Buy, one of the sale people mentioned how 2.4 GHZ phone interferes with 802 B Wireless networks (uses same frequencies).

He mentioned that 802 G wireless network were not affected with the phones.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/everytime-my-wireless-home-phone-rings-i-get-disconnected-from-my-wireless-network.17460/
Relevancy 59.77%

I m trying to setup connect a wireless printer HP All-in-one so that a user can use his laptop wireless and print from anywhere in the house He did not have Home Solved: with How wireless to Printer - Internet & Wireless network any network set-up previously He had dialup and just purchased a new laptop with wireless and this new printer and has just gotten this new Rogers quot Rocket quot Stick Solved: How to - Wireless Internet & Home network with wireless Printer It s a USB internet connection uses cell phone frequency Normally this is pretty straight forward when conected to a wireless router I brought over a wireless router to test out When Rogers quot Rocket quot stick is connected for internet Can I connect to another wireless home network for sharing at the same time Computer Vista Laptop with Rogers Rocket Stick I tried a couple of things Setup a wireless network I used the setup internet connection wizard to configure a computer to computer wireless adhoc network appears to work for very short distances - feet I was able to print a test page but not anything else - so I thought about using my Dlink Router for greater distance if it was a distance thing as indicated I setup the Dlink wireless router as a standalone wireless network - not conected to the internet configured it and then configured my HP printer wireless to connect to that network I successfully configured the printer via wizard to connect to the found network - I then connected to this wireless network and added the network printer using it s HP Wireless wizard - it found it and added it successfully - I was able to print a test page from about feet But when I move to another room - It would not print assumed maybe a conflict collision with wireless rocket - but not sure Then I setup the HP printer as a hard wired network printer not wireless attached to a port on the wireless router itself - I then determined its IP address printer config report and then connected to the wireless network router and set-up added printer on the laptop as quot local printer quot using TCP IP specifying this ip address - When connected to the home wireless network and I was able to print a test page but not anything else Not sure if I m having a problem with the Rocket and Wireless router conflicting a firewall issue or something else or just Vista playing games Biggest issue is that it appears the wireless printer CAN BE reached by the laptop by either the wireless setup or direct network printer connection successfully Issue is that I m not able to print any other documents I get a message saying the printouts are pending I assume the printer is configured for sharing - thought about this after I left It appears it has something to do with a lost connection or collision Not sure if I m clear here - looking for advice recommendation on how to set this up Any help direction appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: How to - Wireless Internet & Home network with wireless Printer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-wireless-internet-home-network-with-wireless-printer.786885/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi there, I use Wireless internet for both my pc and laptop, and connect through my BT Homehub. But whenever I open the wireless connections tab, it always shows a Talk Talk Wireless option along with the BT one which I use (and sometimes a 3rd connection that is unknown to me).
I think my network is secure, as I have to put a network key in before it will connect to the internet on the PC, but when I connect to the internet on the laptop no key is required, (so unsure a bit now) but I just wanted to make sure that the Talk Talk connection and the other one that is showing, is not somebody who can see all of the files on either my pc or laptop.
Just wanted some advice really, to make sure I dont have anybody viewing my files etc. Thank you in advance.

Relevancy 58.91%

My home network has several componants DSL down up and wireless down up My windows xp computer is connected to the wireless vista ultimate is connected to DSL but both are part of my home network and I am able to share files This part is fine it is hard wired My laptop xp pro wireless or hard wired sees the home hidden network is Vista a my wireless network says home network all is good Problem my tablet vista premium can Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network only connect to wireless down wirelessly is not able to share files Not part of home network file sharing and discovery are on It will connect to home network hard cable and share files when I get thwwat part figured out It is a member of home network Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network How do I correct this Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network problem I am using a DSL modem to a monowall router with wireless to switches through out the house The wireless signal from a different provider Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network through a meg I think anttena also goes to the mono wall router Monowall router is working correctly at least hard wired The purpose of a wireless home network is to sorry be wireless and able to move around and share files Sorry if it is confusing I had it all working with xp Vista is a problem that I have not figured out yet Help

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/181414-vista-says-my-home-network-wireless-hidden-network.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Want to connect second computer to the internet with a wireless network. Already have broadband internet connected through a router to main computer in living room and to Xbox in grandson's bedroom - no problems with this. Grandson has purchased a wireless network adaptor which he has installed into the second computer - but cannot get connection.
Have windows XP on main computer which has a wireless network wizard but although have gone through setup on this, still have no connection.
Obviously doing something wrong; doing something in the wrong order or have wrong equipment.
Could someone explain in very simple English the process involved in connecting the second computer to our wireless network.
Thanks from one confused grandmother

A:Home wireless network

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect that way. If successful re-enable encryption and reconnect. If possible use WPA-PSK. If you have to use WEP use a HEX key, not an ascill passcode that sometimes gets translated differently by different devices.

Can you successfully connect the second computer via ethernet?

If still unsuccessful with the wireless please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-wireless-network.647625/
Relevancy 56.33%

i want to be able to connect my laptop to my desktop computer through a wireless network. Both computers are connect to my wired network, and when i connect my laptop to my desktop i want it to have access to my broadband modem & the server on the wired network. The Broadband modem supplies the ip's. My system info is below:

Laptop:

XP HOME
SP2
802.11B Wireless Card

Desktop:

XP PRO
SP2
802.11G Wireless Card

Can You guide me through the steps in setting this up??

Thankyou In Advance

Milzee

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/25461/wireless-network-p2p-between-xp-home-nd-pro/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have recently installed a wireless home network system. I'm using the Linksys WRT54G router. I have Comcast Cable internet. My desktop is hooked to the router by cable and my two laptops are hooked wirelessly. I have a Canon i850 color printer hooked by USB cabel to my desktop. What I want to know is there a way that I can get my two laptops to print through that printer over the wireless connection?

A:Wireless home network

Sure, just share the printer on the desktop and you can print to it from any machine on the network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-home-network.490856/
Relevancy 56.33%

Guys and Gals I am going to post an email I sent into Linksys today for support but got no help maybe someone here has an idea for me email I have Wireless network Home recently purchased a nd home PC I am using a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router Model No WRT Home Wireless network G to connect my two home PCs together The old computer is wired directly to the router The new PC is wirelessly connected with a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter Model No WMP G It is about feet from Home Wireless network the router In between the router and the remote desktop is normal plaster walls no concrete and they are on the same floor of my house There is one cordless phone set up in the same room as my router Nothing else should be causing interference I am running the Windows XP firewall and using Home Wireless network WPA Encryption I am able to successfully get to the internet on the wireless PC and share files between the wired and wireless PC without problem What the problem is that every so often the connection will drop out on me and my wireless PC will not be connected to the internet for a short time I can understand this happening once or twice a day but this happens like once an hour or sometimes more It only lasts for a couple of seconds then reconnects But if I am downloading or working from home it can cause a problem I checked out the Linksys Support website and saw it recommended changing the channel the router was on I tried changing it from to and this did not help and then I changed it from to and that also did not help Someone also recommended to my pick up a Linksys Range Extender I recently purchased one and set it up It is placed pretty much right in-between the router and the wireless PC And I placed it fairly high up on the wall It has giving me a stronger signal but it has not helped stop the problem of the connection dropping end of email Anyone got any good ideas for me to try its getting pretty frustrating on my end here Thanks in advance -Tom nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

I know nothing about networking. I am trying to setup a network where I can share files between my Gateway Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHZ 1.00 GB of RAM OS XP Home Edition SP3and my Toshiba Satellite Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GB of RAM OS Vista Home Premium SP1.

I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router which my desktop is wired to and both computers use the internet through the router.

What do I need to do to setup a home network to share files? I have been reading all day and I am not any closer to knowing what to do than when I started. Please tell me what to do.

Linda

A:Wireless Home Network Help

Hi:Here is a link to a pretty extensive tutorial on this subject.
Hope it helps.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-home-network-help.767678/
Relevancy 56.33%

I am currently renovating and extending a bungalow and want to install a wireless network that will cover the whole house with good coverage.
There is only one desktop in the study at one end of the house, all the other devices will be wireless but used over the house, up to 25m away through walls.
How can I ensure the whole house is covered, how do I go about setting up access points?
If I have to install Cat5 cable I need to do it soon as the electrician is there at the moment wiring the whole house.
Any ideas or system diagrams welcome

Cheers

A:Home wireless network

Hey Ben, There is a lot to consider before set plans can be made, for instance where does the internet come into the house, could a wireless router be set in the middle of the house?
If the Router has to be where the desk top is located, there is options like adding a wireless extender, but you won't really know where this has to go until the network is running to know the weak spots.
You could run some cable from the desktop location(if thats where the Router is) to the other end of the house, and then put another Wireless access point there.
It also depends on the router you are using, for instance if you use 802.11n it gives you a stronger signal.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-wireless-network.1019114/
Relevancy 56.33%

I am setting up a home wireless network and need some help This is what I would like to Network Desktop PC w Windows XP SP this PC is hooked directly up to a Linksys Wireless Router Laptop Running Windows Vista Home Wireless Network Ultimate SP -bit Laptop Running Windows Home Premium -bit Desktop Running Windows XP SP Desktop Running Windows XP SP HP LAserJet CP dn connected via USB to main desktop Dell MFP dn connected via USB to main desktop The printers are installed on the main desktop the one wire connected to the router I shared them and am able to recognize them from the Vista laptop but not the Windows laptop Sometimes Home Wireless Network the Windows Vista one will not recognize them either Windows Vista Laptop I add the printers by going to Network Center gt Add Printer It does a search for printers Sometimes it identifies the other computers on the network sometimes it does not Sometimes it finds printers and lets me install them sometimes it does not Windows Laptop I am unable to add printers at all It gets to the point where it says it is installing drivers but always fails Says cannot find proper driver Is there anything I am doing incorrectly with the network setup Is there a good place source to go for step by step instruction on how to create a good home network with different operating systems I appreciate any and all help Thank You nbsp

A:Home Wireless Network

This article includes your OSes: Set Up Your Home Network, Windows 7 Edition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-wireless-network.915872/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey all, I know this has probably been said a gazillion times, but I have a desktop connected to a Linksys wireless router, and a Laptop that feeds an internet connection from that router. I wanted to set up a home network so that the laptop and desktop can share files, and so that the laptop can print from the printer that's connected to the desktop via USB. I have run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, but somehow when I click on "View Workgroup Computers" on the Laptop, I can only see the laptop, and when I click it on the desktop, I don't see anything. I know that they are both in the same workgroup (Mshome), but I do not know what else to do. Can someone please help? Thanks a million.

-Marc-

Relevancy 56.33%

Hello, for the last three weeks I have been reading and working on figuring out what hardware I need for a wireless home network system.

I have three computers I wish to network, all three will be in the same room.
1 Dell Desk Top P2 WXP
2 IMB Think Pad 600 W98
3 P4 Desktop EXP

I have two printers I wish to network
1 HP Laser 5p
2 HP Laser Color

Other
Dig Camera and Printer
CD Burner
Cell phone, upgrading to Treo
I have AOL

Can anyone tell me what hardware I need, and where is the best place to purchase.

A:Wireless Home Network

I'm assuming you have AOL's broadband, if so you will need to find a router that supports AOL (most do now). Then you will need some wireless network adapters. The internal ones for your PC's are more expensive but you get a better signal, however if you are not familiar with opening up your case and installing a PCI card just buy 3 USB wireless network adapters. Following the documentaion for your router to setup the network. You will then need to enable file and print sharing on the computers that have the printers. Finally add the network printers to each computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-home-network.505891/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello everybody !
I will buy a laptop (toshiba satellite a500) and that laptop has wireless
10/100/1000 LAN .. And I don't know, I have wireless network at home ?
I have a desktop now and it's with cable So it didn't had wireless card or adapter.
And anyone tell me some suggestions, where I can see I have wireless network ?

A:Wireless Network at home :)

If you dont have a router, then you dont have a wireless network..

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/77063-wireless-network-home.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Ok, I have a computer and I have a laptop. I bought a nice new printer that's still in the box. I have a router sitting in a box, and I have a cable modem providing this computer with wired internet. I used to have the router up and running but didn't know how to put a password on the network :blush: So, I'm here to solicit some help in solving this problem. I'd really like to be able to print from this computer and the laptop wirelessly, so I also need to set up a wireless network through the router (please correct me if wrong) with a password. I apologize for my unsavy-ness. I appreciate any help.

A:Wireless Home Network

What is the exact model of your router? This way we can give you instructions specific to you, and not generic advice.

Once we get your network setup we'll concentrate on printing over a network.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-home-network.91254/
Relevancy 56.33%

i was wondering if anyone else has set up a wireless home network?mine is up and running but to tell you the truth i dont have a clue...so every time it goes wrong i dont know what the problem is, it gives me number error messages that tell me absolutely nothing about what the problem is, when i visit the website and enter my error nuimber, its never in the list!i just fiddle about with my settings until it works again without ever really knowing what the problem was in the first place which is not very helpful for next time, sometimes i get so frustrated i just walk away and leave it for a few hours and when i come back it just works!
has anyone else had this problem or am i just being thick?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-home-network.78537/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi, im buying a new computer at the end of the month, and am linking it up with my current computer to share my broadband connection. what im wondering is if i can transfer any files from this computer to my new one? ill be getting a router and a receiver, but im not sure of the exact abilities of it!

Relevancy 55.9%

I need help If you could help me with a friend of mine, who I have fixed several pc problems for.

The Situation:

He has a Bigpond 7.2 Home Network Modem Router Next G which is connected wirelessly to his desktop computer.

*** He has a printer connected to this modem router via Ethernet cable.

When he prints from the desktop it sends data to the wireless laptop and back to the router to print.

If he turns off the laptop he cannot print.

He has two other pc's and two wireless printers that print okay at every terminal with no problem.

How do I resolve the conflict with the *** first printer?

Thanks,

Razza2026

Relevancy 55.9%

So I had a very very very long post all ready to go because I lost my xp home network and could not get it set back up After over a week and hours after hours of pouring over Tech Guy posts and other internet sites trying anything and everything posted Wired/Wireless Network Home XP to get the network back to working order I finally found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow here http forums techguy org networking -windows-xp-home-my-network html Of the four things listed in Services Workstation Server XP Home Network Wired/Wireless TCP IP Netbios helper Computer Browser some of them were disabled and not started Once I made sure all four items were on Automatic and Started I had my network back and running So THANK YOU Tech Guys you are the first place I turn when I have a problem Second now I need help adding a laptop to the network or other suggestions Two Desktops both on wired network Have laptop I connect wirelessly to router for internet I attempted to XP Home Network Wired/Wireless add a wireless network to main Desktop using the setup wizard which has me use a USB drive to save settings but when i put the USB into laptop and let it run I loose internet connection I already had and it just says quot Acquiring Connection quot FOREVER Now the main thing I want to be able to do is access files on Desktop used as server and also be able to use printer which is plugged into Desktop from laptop my printer is not wireless I can ping D from laptop by name and IP but can only ping laptop from D by IP address not name don t know if that is important or not Any help on this all computers running XP Pro Svc Pack nbsp

A:XP Home Network Wired/Wireless

have a read here
TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp

how to share a printer on XP network
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-home-network-wired-wireless.950744/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have Comcast Cable and a Linskys performance network home Wireless router WRT G V Wireless performance home network upstairs in my home office In summertime I move downstairs where it is more comfortable I have to move my desktop computer monitor and printer downstairs My router and cable modem has to remain upstairs since the Comcast Cable is directed there I do not have a Comcast cable near where my desk is downstairs So downstairs I use the wireless option to get the signal from the router I am looking to optimize on the signal to noise ratio from my router and also to have a way of assessing the performance by virtue of measuring the signal received There is a series of vertical bars that you can see in Windows denoting the signal strength and this measure has looked excellent downstairs Nevertheless after a couple of days I lost my signal downstairs so I had to move all the equipment upstairs again and reconnect to the Internet with an Ethernet cable again So I am back upstairs now With the Ethernet Cable disconnected in the wireless mode upstairs it looks OK but the vertical bars were not any different from when I was downstairs I am looking to optimize the wireless signal and quality downstairs so suggestions are welcome Angus

A:Wireless performance home network

Quote: Originally Posted by angusmdmclean

I have Comcast Cable and a Linskys router WRT54G (V4) upstairs in my home office: In summertime I move downstairs, where it is more comfortable. I have to move my desktop computer , monitor and printer downstairs. My router and cable modem has to remain upstairs, since the Comcast Cable is directed there. I do not have a Comcast cable near where my desk is downstairs. So downstairs I use the wireless option to get the signal from the router. I am looking to optimize on the signal to noise ratio from my router and also to have a way of assessing the performance by virtue of measuring the signal received. There is a series of vertical bars that you can see in Windows denoting the signal strength and this measure has looked excellent downstairs. Nevertheless after a couple of days I lost my signal downstairs so I had to move all the equipment upstairs again and reconnect to the Internet with an Ethernet cable again. So I am back upstairs now. With the Ethernet Cable disconnected in the wireless mode upstairs it looks OK, but the vertical bars were not any different from when I was downstairs.

I am looking to optimize the wireless signal and quality downstairs so suggestions are welcome,

Angus

I'm a strong supporter of Alfa wireless, and have used them for years, even used one of their cards in a custom made WiFi satellite dish to pick up WiFi from, if I remember correctly, up to almost 3/4 a mile away with their USB b/g card, was a long time ago I did that. To say the least it never failed over the year or two I used it and that's an indoor card sitting out in the sun, rain, wind, etc powered on 24/7. May sound like I'm recommending some over priced overpowered thing but they don't cost too much ($26 on their Amazon store). ALFA NETWORK Inc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/299732-wireless-performance-home-network.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Dear all,

First of all, I apologize if this thread shouldn't be here as I don't know under what category I should address my question.

I have a privacy concern regarding internet browsing at my home network that I need you to help me with.

I am accessing internet through wireless LAN network that is shared with 5 other people in the house. My landlord has the access to the router. Since we are sharing the same network, I am wondering whether he would still be able to monitor my website traffic even though I have my Comodo firewall turned on ?

Is there a way to prevent anybody from monitoring my internet browsing at all if I shared the same internet connection wirelessly ? especially from one who has access to the router ? . If there is , besides the firewall, what else can and should I do ?

Thanks for your advice..

Ken

A:Help with Home wireless network privacy please

You can avoid anyone from reading the content ONLY if you use an SSL (ie https://)
or a VPN connection.
The DOMAIN portion of the URL however, will still be logged (if so configured) by the router (wired or wireless connections).

if the url was http : // www.website.com / thisDir / somepage.aspx
then the Router will log
allow www.website.com aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd date time​where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is your lan ip address.

If that's some naughty content, then the log will give that away.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-home-wireless-network-privacy-please.124592/
Relevancy 55.9%

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and am having trouble connecting to my home network.

I have a Motorola Wireless Cable Modem Gateway SBG900.

1. My iPhone can connect to the network just fine.
2. I tried reentering the password in Windows, but that did not work.
3. I also tried restarting the router for 10 seconds, but that did not work.
4. I can connect to the wireless network at work without any trouble.
5. I connect to the modem via ethernet and the internet worked fine.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

A:Trouble with home wireless network

If other devices can connect then it is more than likely the wireless security settings on your failing device.

Bottom right hand side of the screen near the time and date right click the wireless symbol and open up the network and sharing centre.

Choose manage wireless networks located top left of page this takes you to your security profile for your wireless card. Right click and goto properties and then chose the security tab.

Check your security type, encryption method and password matches the details on your router.

If in doubt best to delete the current network profile from the problematic machine and manually create one to be doubly sure nothing is corrupted.

Hope this helps

Andy

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/19439-trouble-home-wireless-network.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Ok let me start by giving you my info one PC running windows xp one MacBook pro using a netgear wireless router network Wireless home issues apple airport express this is strictly for streaming music to my home stereo and is not for gaining network or Internet access I have time warner roadrunner as my ISP The pc has an airlink wireless PCI card Now to the problems I recently reset my router so I could reset the network password I had my network setup with the pc as the server andthe MacBook accessing it through the workgroup since I have reset Wireless home network issues the router and gone through all those steps I cannot make the mac and PC communicate I also had to turn the WEP password off so the I could join Wireless home network issues the airport express to the network Before I reset the router I had no problems with connectivity to the Internet now when trying to access the simplest sites like google I get frequent quot page failed to load quot errors and my wireless monitor says the signal strength is only at when the router is less than six feet away I also have tried to turn the WEP password back on through the netgear router config site and I can seem to get that turned back on either it also has a passphrase minutes limit which I don t understand Anyway I know this is alot of info Wireless home network issues thanks in advance for reading Posted via Mobile Device nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Although my laptop indicates the network and good signal strength, I cannot connect to the internet

A:Can't connect to home wireless network

You have to contact your ISP and they give you specific instructions to connect through them, assuming you already have an account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-connect-to-home-wireless-network-279647.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a wireless home netwerk using at&t 2wire. It uses WEP encryption. I have heard that the IPhone does not work with WEP and WPA/WPA2 should be used instead. I'd like to get some feedback from the experts on this forum as to whether this would make the IPhone usable on a home network and whether making this security change is a good idea. If the change to WPA is made, is there anything else required to make the IPhone work on the network, or will it then be automatic? Everything works fine right now on my home setup and I want to make sure I don't mess anything up by making changes. Please comment. Thanks very much in advance.

A:Wireless home network and IPhone

Well, WPA or WPA2 is far better than WEP in any case, so even if the iPhone works with WEP, I'd move up to real encryption anyway.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-home-network-and-iphone.844322/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite L655-149 laptop.

There seems to be a problem with the wifi. Normally, when the ethernet cable is not connected it would show the available wireless networks (like any other laptop).

But now it does not detect any wireless networks including my home network and I am sitting right beside the router.
I tried pressing Fn+F8(buttons to enable or disable the wifi) but that function isnt working anymore.
Is there any other way to turn on the wifi?..or is it something wrong with the driver and the wireless LAN card in my laptop?
Thank You

A:Wireless Home Network Not detected!

Do you still see the wifi icon in systray (on bottom right of screen)? If so, does i look normal? Red cross in image?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/242840-wireless-home-network-not-detected.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I just moved to a new apartment and had no trouble logging into the wifi on my iPhone and Kindle, but my computer cannot even see the network. My roommates are having no trouble with the internet either. I have restarted my computer several times as well as tried to manually connect to the network, but nothing has worked. At my wits end here...

A:Cannot see home wireless network but can see neighbor's

Hi there.

Just checked your system specs and saw you're using a desktop. By default, a desktop PC does not have the ability to connect to wifi connection unless you have a network card that supports it, or you have a USB wireless adapter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/343714-cannot-see-home-wireless-network-but-can-see-neighbors.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Is it normal that you pick up the signal better in different rooms of the house, in my room the connection speed is 54Mbps, but in my living room (just down the hall) its 11mbps, and in my kitchen (right next to my room) the connections none existent.

The wireless router is above us upstairs (where the main PC is).

Any help or advice on how to improve this would be appreciated.

A:Solved: Wireless Home Network

Joe;It has been my experience that your signal strength can vary from room to room.When I had my laptop connected via wireless connection in one room,my connection strength was weak.I moved it into another room about 20 feet closer to the router,and the signal strength is now consistently excellent.
The other thing you could try,if possible change the channel you are using to communicate wirelessly.This is normally done from the router's admin /setup page.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-home-network.541472/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have three computers networked on a Netgear WGT624 108mbps router. I run WPA security on this router.

Computer #1 is hard wired and I don't think it has any problems.

Computer #2 is running wireless on a 108mbps netgear card and WinXP SP2. I think this computer loses wireless but I'm not entirely sure.

Computer #3 is running wireless on a 54mpbs netgear card and Win2000. This computer consistently drops the wireless connection; I can hear the audible it makes when it gains connectivity and it happens a lot.

Charter's website prompted me to check DHCP and it is on as required. I'm not sure what else I should be looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Relevancy 55.9%

Good morning guys I have a home wireless network which serves desktops laptops In home Monitoring wireless network my the past months we ve been exceeding our internet quota although we are careful about our bandwidth usage I would like Monitoring my home wireless network to monitor it to find what is the cause of this drain an application a virus a hacker although I secured it I use a simple D-Link DIR- router which provides no monitoring feature I thought about using my old desktop computer connect it to my network but not the internet how do I do that and use a monitoring software to monitor my network activity I have two questions First I m not a networking guru but is this a good solution are there better ones Second is there a tool which does some advanced monitoring It should be essentially a packet sniffer but with the capabilities to filter only packets passing through the router by IP or MAC address I guess and categorize by destination to monitor each laptop s usage of bandwidth and possibly by application or website Thank you guys in advance nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

I have a work supplied laptop. Used to be able to connect to my home wireless network - this stopped working last week. It can connect to other wireless networks, both at the office and other public places, but can't connect to my home network.

I've tried:
Manually creating the wireless network
Removing the profile from regedit
Removing the profile from ProgramData\Microsoft\Wlansvcs\Profiles

It sees the network and attempts to connect, but never successfully connect. I have other laptops at home that are working just fine. The network is setup with WEP security, and I've entered/reentered the password several times.

Note, when I started this, the home network did not appear under the Manage Wireless Networks list in the Network and Sharing
Center.

I'm at a loss on what to try next....

A:Can't connect to home wireless network

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful then re-enable encryption and try to reconnect.

If WEP doesn't work try WPA(2)-PSK. Vista and newer versions of Windows sometimes struggle with WEP, especially with older routers. A firmware update, if one is available, may help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-to-home-wireless-network.1090682/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am using a wireless router I have established a wireless network to my laptop in the house OK Network Wireless Secured Home when I go to Control Panel and drill down to view my quot wireless networks quot I see the network s name and the security type is quot WPA -Personal quot But when I go to the tool bar on the bottom right corner of my computer where the quot bars quot are they start off on the left with a very small Secured Home Wireless Network bar and gradually get taller- - when I Secured Home Wireless Network click on those bars and go to my wireless network s name and hover my mouse pointer over it the name it then reads quot Security Type Unsecured quot Yet from the Control Panel it reads for that same wirelsss network name quot Security type WPA -Personal quot why is it telling me my wirelss networt is secured at the Control Panel but then quot unsecured at the bottom right tool bar indicator Is my wireless network in fact secured or not thanks for any clarification nbsp

A:Secured Home Wireless Network

Hey, RP! We really need to know what operating system you run, as well as the brand of your computer's wireless network adapter (or the brand and model of the computer) and what router you use.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/secured-home-wireless-network.1029797/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all Firstly thanks for reading I have a problem regarding my home network I currently have a Netgear N router which the family PC connects to through ADSL and Ethernet ports wired connection I recently have brought a personal problem network wireless home PC into the house as well and can connect to the network via wireless USB adapter without any problems Since this time the new personal PC has moved to the bedroom at the other end of the house and is now out of range of the Netgear N router The home wireless network problem bedroom has no phone line installed and therefore has no connection I have checked the router and I home wireless network problem believe an enhanced aerial cannot be fitted in order to expand the range of the network as it is fixed on this model of router Can someone tell me what options I have in order to get connection on the new personal PC from the bedroom without moving the router If it helps I do have a second router a WNR Netgear Is it possible to set this up in the bedroom on the same network without a phone line Or use it to connect to the other router Any solutions would be greatly appreciated Thanks for your time nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

I have 2 computers both running XP Home. I have a printer on my wireless desktop which i have enabled for sharing. I have tried to add the printer on the other computer and am having problems locating the printer. any suggestions?

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi All,

So I got a Toshiba Smart TV on super-sale a few weeks ago and am just now trying to figure it out. I've gotten it to access my wireless network and can stream Netflix and the like, so that's a start....

BUT... when I go to the media center on the TV, although it shows my home PC, it says there are zero media files available. I have set all my media folders on the PC as share-able as they can be (I think). Also, the network map and list of network devices on my PC does not show the TV even when the TV is on and connected to the wireless....

Are there any tips or suggestions? It'd be nice to stream music and movies through my TV if that's possible....

Thanks so much.

Cheers!
Ryan

Oh, and my OS is Windows 7 64-bit Home

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I have a desktop running XP SP with a netgear wireless USB G adapter and an HP laptop with vista with a wireless card both connected to the internet thru problems wireless network home a linksys -n router They both work awesome on the internet thru this setup I cannot for the life of me get wireless home network problems the two wireless home network problems computers to see each other on a network though I ve tried the wireless setup wizard for hours with and without a flash drive disabline the firewalls and antivirus software and everything else I can think of What am I missing The closest I can come is that I have the desktop showing up on my laptop under quot Manage wireless networks quot on the vista laptop but it doesn t show up under the quot connect to a network quot menu only my internet connection Any help would be appreciated I have made sure and named the ssid or names WORKGROUP on everything but like I said I can t figure out how to connect them I also have enables quot shared quot on both pc s on several folders and file sharing nbsp

A:wireless home network problems

They both need to be in the same "Workgroup". I'd bet your XP machine is in Workgroup "MS Home" and your Vista machine is in something else (I forget what the default Vista Workgroup name is, but it isn't MS Home). Change the workgroup of one to match the other.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-home-network-problems.607508/
Relevancy 55.9%

I'm tryin to figure out how to network my computers at home. I have a cable modem hooked into a linksys router. One of my PC's has an ethernet cable running to the router and my other is wireless.

I tried to set up a hom/office network and my notebook says that I need to be plugged into the router. I don't want to do that on my notebook, I want to be wherever in my home. Then I tried to set up a wireless network, but then it said I needed an access point.

All I want to do is share some files. Can't I set up a network with the equipment I have now? I was hoping to get this to work, then get a network harddrive.

Thanks

Relevancy 55.9%

I m stuck with fixing our problems but I ll try to use as much detail as possible and maybe someone else will have an idea We have a Belkin Mb Wireless Super-G Modem Router which we bought about two weeks ago for four of us sharing a Home Wireless Network Problems house We each have a computer in our rooms three upstairs and one downstairs and we all connected by wireless The Home Wireless Network Problems PC downstairs was getting a very weak signal even though the router is downstairs and so is the router since the router is next to the phone line Upstairs we get Very Good or Excellent signal strength but still often had noweher near Mb connections sometimes as low as Mb with or being normal In games like CounterStrike it would run okay but then lag for a second or two every few minutes which I put down to wireless In World of Warcraft it was fine Home Wireless Network Problems since the game deals with lag and missing pakcets quote well and my ping was still less than to the server so it was okay So the guy downstairs decided to buy a long wire since the router has a four Ethernet ports Home Wireless Network Problems on it and he s wired a connection to the router from his PC and now he gets a perfect connection with low pings to everything However in the last few days now my WoW ping is never less than and has reached for periods of time Needless to say a seven second ping is not even vaguely playable Pings to all websites are not this bad but not very good and the internet is generally slow When I ping the router I get massively varying results like this one I did a few moments ago time ms time ms time ms time ms Request timed out time ms Request timed out time ms time ms time ms time ms time ms time ms time ms Request timed out time ms time ms time ms time ms time ms time ms time ms time ms time ms time ms Now we know it isn t my ISP Plusnet MB ADSL by the way since the guy downstairs gets a perfect connection to websites and the router and the pings above would clearly suggest it s the wireless causing the problems The connection doesn t show as being any worse than it was a few days ago but WoW is now unplayable whereas it wasn t before however this could just be random fluctuation of the router or something I have no clue We can just send the router back and buy a wired one instead I don t see the point in us all wiring to the current router since we paid twice as much to get a wireless one for the exact reason that we wouldn t have to trail wires everywhere Some other data that might be useful We re using Belkin Mb Wireless Super-G Network Cards Wirless network is running bit WEP encryption security We update the firmware but it didn t change anything Anyone have any suggestions before we send it back Is wireless always this bad Let me know if you need more information Thanks nbsp

A:Home Wireless Network Problems

Wireless will always have significantly worse performance than wired connections. You are subject to interference, other people tapping in on your connections, as well as the fact that 802.11b is half-duplex.

If you can run a wire, it's clearly the superior solution.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-wireless-network-problems.403665/
Relevancy 55.9%

I hate to ask the same question all-over (I'm sure of this ), but I'm having trouble understanding/setting-up my home network so that I can print on a printer that is connected to another desktop. Do I need to install the drivers etc... or can I somehow just discover it on a (my) home network. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks again

A:Solved: wireless network @home

On the host computer you need to enable file and printer sharing and share the printer. Then on remote computers you need to connect to the shared printer. Since you have menitioned no OSes here is a general guide: Set Up Your Home Network, Windows 7 Edition

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-network-home.976132/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi there,
I am hoping that someone can help me with my problem.

i am unable to connect to my home wireless network although i can see it and the strength seems to be high. i have tried making the network unsecured but still cannot connect.

other computers in the house (one running windows xp the other a mac) seem to connect with no problems what so ever.

this has happened since i bought a new router ( a linksys wrt54gx)

i am running it in mixed mode as my wireless card is type b while others in the house are type g.

i am running vista and my wireless card is: AM1772 wireless lan

when i tryed typing ipconfig /all run flashes up very fast and writing scrolls down then closes before i can even attempt to read it.

any help would be great
thanks

A:Cannot connect to home wireless network

when i tryed typing ipconfig /all run flashes up very fast and writing scrolls down then closes before i can even attempt to read it.

You are probably doing that in the Run command box. Instead type cmd first then the IPCONFIG command, or simply go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

Not too sure if the router can handle both .b and .g simultaneously. Other than that, I would suggest checking the SSID and key and make sure that the info on your machine matches the router's configuration. Also if you are using permit/deny access, make sure your notebook's MAC address is allowed to connect.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-connect-to-home-wireless-network.717165/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a home wireless network using a Linksys WRT54G. I have a large farm and need to extend my signal to several different locations on the farm, the farthest being about 2000 ft. away. Anyone know of any products, tools, or helpful information to accomplish this?

A:Extending a home wireless network

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a couple of examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extending-a-home-wireless-network.585509/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I just bought this used wireless router and it came with the installation cd I have set up the network using a dsl modem I currently have my desktop hooked up to the router My laptop is connected to the router wirelessly When I look security for wireless my home need I network in network connections it says my wireless network is unsecure I am able to access shared folders from the desktop on my laptop That means anyone can access those I have disabled sharing for now I want to set up my network so I need security for my home wireless network that every computer trying to connect to the network must type a password including my laptop Which program do I have to use I ve heard of WEP and WAP I don t need anything major just one that will not let rouge users use my network and access my files Can I do this with security center in windows XP Oh yeah I m running Windows XP HOME SP The wireless router I need security for my home wireless network is D Link an older one only mb p s I know this is I need security for my home wireless network a dumb question with an easy answer but I haven t set up a wireless network yet and I searched google but those articles didn t really have the answer Anyways let me know please Thanks nbsp

A:I need security for my home wireless network

the router should have software to set up a WEP key on their, if not download the latest software/drivers from there site,

Dan

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-security-for-my-home-wireless-network.48769/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi everyone, I currently have an issue with the wireless internet at home whilst watching videos, playing online games, completing homework etc... On the computers working over the wireless network there seems to be a randomly occurring drop out of the internet. My home network connection looks to be solid, but the internet drops out for around 5-10 seconds and then comes back.

Here is a screenshot from Xirrus the wifi inspector program from the pc in my room connected via the network:

http://s1068.photobucket.com/albums/u455/shaween23/?action=view&current=xirrusscreenshot-1.jpg

The home network (Munasinghe and family) had a signal of -78 dBm.

The second signal, Optus (name of ISP) wifi had a signal of -85 dBm. This signal value often decreases or disappears altogether.

My question is what would be the best way to solve this problem? Wireless repeater/booster? New wireless devices?

Any help would be grealty appreciated thank you!

A:Wireless drop out on home network

I can`t work out whether it`s the internet connection to your ISP or if it`s the internal wireless signal that`s playing up but if it`s the internet itself, then check the obvious like wires and filters.

If it`s the wireless signal inside the house read on ... I`m not sure where in the world you are so I`m basing this advice on living in the UK but if you think it`s a good idea and you live elsewhere, I`m sure you can find something similar in your area.

I`ve had experience of this type of problem and it`s been resolved by using the mains supply around the house to plug in a LAN adaptor, (link below) then hard-wire the computer to the adaptor although it`s not particulaly cheap but it does the job well and can be taken with you and used wherever and whenever you want it.

Jenny

http://www.amazon.co.uk/200Mb-Home-plug-mains-through/dp/B0012NKTAA

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-drop-out-on-home-network.1055723/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi, newbie here and desperately needing your help.

I got a free wireless access point (ASUS WL-330) when I bought my laptop.
It says that it's a 3-in-1 hardware: Ethernet, Wireless Access Point and Brisge. I really don't know much about networking computers but here's what I wanted to do:
Network my desktop and my laptop - use the wireless access point on the desktop and connect my laptop to the desktop through WiFi. I'm hopinh through this set up I can share my DSL connection on my desktop to my laptop.

Do I need to purchase another hardware (hub or router) to make this set up work? Or will the Wireless AP suffice? Also, how do I go about networking my Desktop and Laptop (wireless).

A:Setting up a wireless home network

No need to shout..

That 3-in-1 is just buzzwords. AT most you can say you have a 2-in-1 device that supports wifi and ethernet.

No, you don't need any extra hardware. Set up the AP as described in the manual. Once the wireless works you configure the network just like you would for a wired connection - there is no difference.

For intrenet you will have to use the Windows internet connection sharing. Or buy a wired broadband router (those are cheap now that the wireless is the all the rage) for a more robust solution.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-a-wireless-home-network.33286/
Relevancy 55.9%

I want to set up a wireless home network but i have a lot of questions regarding my particular specifications I am getting DSL in a week and I would like to share Making Home Wireless Network A the DSL connection with a computer in another bedroom I don t want to mess with wires so I checked Making A Wireless Home Network out wireless sites and it just gives me a bunch of stuff that i don t have enough time to decipher First of all will I need to buy two DSL modems for each computer or will just the one actually connected to the phone line work I am running Windows XP on both computers Next what EXACTLY do I need to purchase for a wireless connection if it helps my computers are not too far apart One is in the living room and the other is in a bedroom which are much less than a feet apart I know about the and that g is better than b but what do I need to buy for christ s sake All that talk of routers is making my head hurt Also I don t care if a card has to be installed into the computer since a friend of mine can put it in just tell me where to install it if the package I buy won t If there are any all-in-one packages mention those as well Finally when I purchase everything and hallelujah it works will I be able to keep my files private from the other computer I m sure I can since I know a little about users and stuff but I won t have to anything overly complicated first will I Any and all help will be most appreciated nbsp

A:Making A Wireless Home Network

First you should decide if you will want to add more computers to your wireless network in the future. If you will eventually want more then two computers you should go with a wireless access point with a wireless NIC installed in one computer. On the other hand if you only want the two computers you will need two wireless NICs along with the other netwok card that will be connected to the DSL.

To share an internet connection you will need to install ICS which comes with win xp, but you will probably have to install it on the computer that is connected to the DSL using add/remove programs - add/remove windows components.

Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/making-a-wireless-home-network.42915/
Relevancy 55.9%

hi. i have just setted up a printer network for my home network through Windows Xp pro. but i have another problem. i don't know how to set up my printer network so that the main computer the printer is hooked up to, doesn't have to be on when another computer in the network prints. i need help on how to set this up, or is this possible. PLZ HELP ME!

do i have to buy additional hardware?

My printer is a HP Photosmart 2575 All-in-one

my router is a 2wire 1701 gateway (wireless).

all computers run on Windows Xp Pro sp2.

A:Printer on my wireless Home Network

Your printer already an ethernet port, so no extra hardware is needed, except for a network cable perhaps.

Reading The Friendly Manual would be a good start setting things up.

Better detach and delete the printer from the computer - you are supposed to connect it to your router.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/printer-on-my-wireless-home-network.47158/
Relevancy 55.9%

I rent a home Extending network wireless home and do not currently have the luxury Extending home wireless network of tearing into walls and running lots of wires My issue is this My Comcast modem is placed in my living room connected to a belkin n router with Ethernet running to my Panasonic veria cast tv which is close by My floor plan is weird and long it the back two bedrooms of the home I get bar or no wifi signal at all I thought of a few options and they are as follows install a repeater in the middle of the home I don t want to do this because it requires drilling a running Ethernet running Ethernet under the home and installing a second router in the back bedroom and bridging them together I was told this can be done but I would need very specific setup instructions Let me know if this is not possible Using a power LAN adapter as seen below http www monoprice com products product asp c id amp cp id amp cs id amp p id amp seq amp format feedback My concern with this is that I believe all this does is allow their to be a quot WIRED quot source coming from the power LAN adapter and my goal is to have a good wifi signal in the back of the home My next question is do they make power LAN adapters that also act as wireless routers Or can you connect and second router to the powernap adapter Your responses are greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

I'm trying to setup a home network, i have a belkin wireless router with two desktops hooked up to it (through Cat 5 cables). The two desktops are networked fine. But i also have two laptops which i would like to put on the network that use a wireless connection... Is it possible to do this? if so how should i go about it?

Relevancy 55.9%

i need some help with a wireless network problem I have a Kcorps wireless woes network Home router running off ntl cable broadband i have two p c s and a laptop in the house One of the p Home wireless network woes c s and my daughters laptop can log onto the internet The problem arises with the p c upstairs which i can t get to make a connection I bought the kcorps klg gold card to match the router I originally had it upstairs on my p c because the signal wasn t strong enough for the MSI one which came with my motherboard It worked straight away great I put the MSI one in the kids p c downstairs which is about foot from the router The signal kept dropping and the connection with it I bought a db gain aerial which didn t help So I experimented by putting my network card in the kids p c Which worked straight away with an excellent reception strength I went to a local p c parts supplier and was recommended and sold a high gain card which loaded o k went through the process of assigning the card to the network it repeatedly failed to connect I checked in device manager all was as it should be I ensured that my network was the one that the card was logging on as the automatic choice It could see the network but would still not communicate I bought through ebay as i could not source one via a dealer a second Kcorps gold klg network card the same as my original which i was assuming would do the business I followed the installation to the letter installing the software first then shutting down the p c Installed the card and started up the p c I went through the installation process as instructed by windows went into device manager there it was this device is working and there are no conflicts It came up there are more than one networks available I assigned my as the automatic one Signal strength very good but still it will not make a connection to the network so i can get online Everytime i have removed a card and installed a new one a number changes on the end of the card description device manager i m currenrly on I have tried different pci slots i have cleansed the registry before reinstalling the device driver for the card and still it will not communicate with the network Surely two network card could not be faulty Has anyone got any idea where i may be going wrong it s driving me crackers All the p c s are running windows x p p c s on xp pro and the laptop xp home I won t even dare ask how you get them all to see each other on the network that would just be too much Help anyone please i could end up bald at this rate nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-wireless-network-woes.608429/
Relevancy 55.9%

I know that this is a dumb question and I should know the answer but sadly I don't

I have 2 computers. One running XP and the other Vista. Both are wireless enabled. I have a broadband wireless router and so can connect to the internet from either or both of the computers.

Now how on earth do I get them to talk to each other? I want to set them up on a wireless network so I can share files etc between them.

I am sure it is very obvious and easy but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks

A:Setup Wireless network at home??

This TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial should get you started.

In addition, for Vista specific information, see if this site: File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista helps you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setup-wireless-network-at-home.756283/
Relevancy 55.9%

for some reason... i cant connect to wireless coneection..it says/ "windows was unable to connect to 2wire"
here's the screenshot.
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1148/18565954.png
anyone please help me

Relevancy 55.9%

what is the best firewall for a wireless home network on cable internet service modem never off because the other comp can't access internet without it we've tried zone alarm but both users HATE it they say it interfers with access to the internet for the wireless system not a laptop just standard pc and for the main pc it they said that they couldn't access certian game sites with it zylom pogo etc now when i installed zone alarm there was none of these problems but the next day they said the problems started so now there is absolutly no way to put home network wireless firewall for zone alarm back on they refuse so i need a recommendation for a different firewall because they are relying on windows firewall and spyware doctor they are novices with no desire to learn more so they call me and i don't think thats enough of a firewall for wireless home network firewall considering they both ended up with a trojan already each one was different any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated thanks

A:firewall for wireless home network

don't you have a firewall in the router

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/firewall-for-wireless-home-network-106859.html
Relevancy 55.9%

If guys, recently i faced this ultra weird problem. When i am in sch, i can use my sch wireless.However, when i reached home whenever i try to connect to my wireless network but its say unidentified network. My sis have no issue with the internet.

The problem is solved whenever i restart my modem. Anyone here can kindly tell me how to solve this problem? I am running on windows 7 professional with my sch domain connected to my com.

A:Cannot connection to my home wireless network.

Did you tried using Troubleshooting wizard?
Often, the problems will get solved by using the troubleshooting wizard itself. So, give it a try.
Check whether the modem is secured by MAC filtering feature or by such kind of security facilities.
Comment here if the problem still persist.
Take Care

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/195079-cannot-connection-my-home-wireless-network.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a Linksys 54g router, and have established a home wirelsess system.

My wife has a Compaq 2570us with built in wireless modem. I can establish wireless connection, but if I do not maintain an Excellent level the connection will break.

I am lucky if I can move maybe 20-25 ft from my routher before my connection drops to very good or worse.

Compaq says it's because of land line phones, and other interference. And that this is typical.

I say it's worthless to us if that's is true.

Is this a typical experience? If not any suggestions on where I need to adjust my system to acquire solid connectivity at as far as 50-75 feet?

Thanks.:rolleyes:

A:Wireless Home Network Conectivity

Try and position the WAP (wireless access point) as much in the middle between the PC locations as you can. Place it higher up (e.g. on a wall-bracket) and try to place it where there are as few obstructions as possible between the 2 locations.

Other equipment that may interfere are DECT wireless phones and microwaves. Unplug these to see if it makes any difference.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-home-network-conectivity.10542/
Relevancy 55.9%

Greetings I ideas wireless network home fix how to Need on m having issues with my home wireless network and I was looking for some tips as to how I can fix it up I play World of Warcraft and have Ventrilo open pretty much every day Lately I ve been experiencing intermittent lag spikes of up to seconds where both WoW and Vent will simply hang for that period of time then Need ideas on how to fix wireless home network Vent will quot catch up quot then so will WoW and everything will seem fine from then on At least until the next lag spike I have a DSL modem to which a Motorola WR G Broadband Router is connected First off I m thinking that the router might be going bad due to age I ve had it over years so that s one option to replace I m sure My parents have two computers on the network as well A desktop that s wired to the router as well as a laptop that has its own wireless card I m also thinking that my wireless adapter a Netgear WPN might be broken and causing the lag spikes I accidentally dropped it one day during my full computer restore It worked when my restore was done so I didn t think anything of it but I wonder if it s still a cause of the lag spikes So my request for tips is this I know I want to replace my wireless adapter But I don t want to just have any old adapter to replace it as this is the third adapter I ve gone through for various reasons I m pretty sure I read somewhere that you can buy wireless extension boxes As in This box will sit on my desk my computer hooks up to it via a LAN cable and the box itself connects to my router wirelessly If this is possible what are they called and what would you recommend getting I am currently poor so anything I buy will have to be from Dell as I have an open line of credit with them I hope I ve explained myself well enough Thank you for any and all help Edit I was searching the Hardware forum for an answer to another post I placed there and found something interesting in previous posts Namely That my Logitech ClearChat PC Wireless USB headset could possibly be lagging other USB devices My Netgear adapter is USB could these be related nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I m trying to configure my home network which has both a wired and wireless router don Wireless Network + Home Wired t want to switch to all wireless yet My basic problem is that Wireless + Wired Home Network I can t get computers on each one to talk Wireless + Wired Home Network to each other nor can I get the Netgear wireless router to set the IP to the Wired address Here s my config Into my house I have a cable line From there a line goes directly into my Linksys port wired cable router BEFSR - I have a few pc s connected to this all works fine - Default network settings GW SUBNET One Wireless + Wired Home Network of the ports from this has a wired connection to my Netgear WNR wireless router - I have two pc s connecting to this can get to internet etc - Network Config auto get IP it gets set to x works fine - DHCP enabled to the wireless pc s but this uses the default LAN settings of x not x When I try to set the Netgear LAN to be on x I get an error quot IP Address is conflicted with wan IP Subnet try again quot I can ping one way from wireless to wired but i can t go the other way Can someone help nbsp

A:Wireless + Wired Home Network

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-wired-home-network.911819/
Relevancy 55.9%

Dear Forum:

I have set up my wireless home network( 1 desktop and two notebooks).
I had to turnoff firewall to get it to work. My question is - what do I do next.
How do I secure my computers while allow them to communicate?

Thanks,

Chris

A:Wireless Home Network and Firewalls

I like big fonts

I just learned that you have to set up your firewall to allow communication from other computers. in my computers, I have to enable Microsoft File Sharing/Printing to be able to see any other computers. try that first. I'm not sure how to do that if you don't use 3rd party firewall (I'm using AVG).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-home-network-and-firewalls.654028/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi, I have 2 Windows XP PC's which keep disconeccting. It happens quite often, and I've tried everything I can think of to stop it. The only pattern of disconecction I've noticed is when I'm logging on the MSN Messenger, it will disconnect many times before I can log in without a problem...any suggestions?

Relevancy 55.9%

is it possible to wireless network between these 2 versions of xp?

never had any problems before instaling mce, on one of my home computers.

my laptop is recognising the mediacentre on my network places, but when i click on it i get a message that i con not connect?
and the mediacentre will only see my router homepage.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

A:can not network xp home - xp mce over my wireless network?

Sure, it's not an issue.

For each computer, please do this. Follow the instructions exactly.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following two commands:

nbtstat -n

ipconfig /all

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Also, I'd like some information.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.
Make/model of the broadband modem.
Make/model of the router.
Connection type, wired, wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-not-network-xp-home-xp-mce-over-my-wireless-network.629607/
Relevancy 55.04%

I ve to network home work get wireless vista! Cannot with been using the same network configuration for about years now and everything usually works Cannot get wireless home network to work with vista! fine I have desktops in my home as well as a laptop that all share the same internet I recently replaced my old gaming rig which is where the modem router is located at This new rig works came with vista and ever since then my network has been screwy All other computers in the house other than mine cannot connect to the network In fact the network named quot WLAN quot doesn t even show up in the list Cannot get wireless home network to work with vista! of networks The only networks listed under the list are the networks of my neighbors What s weird about this problem is that all the other computers can connect to the network when the gaming rig is OFF but not when it s ON Built Gaming Rig Vista Dell Laptops XP HP Laptop Vista I am using cox high-speed internet cable with a belkin router Any help would be appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Cannot get wireless home network to work with vista!

All machines are connected directly to the routers switch ports?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-get-wireless-home-network-to-work-with-vista.661020/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have several laptops connected to my wireless home compter network that is working just fine. I have another laptop that I am having a hard time trying to connect. The laptop was previously connected to the network, now it won't connect. It keeps giving me an error about the WZC. I have tried making sure the Wireless Zero Configuration was started but it won't stay started. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

A:Problems connecting to home wireless network

I had a similar problem with an laptop running Win XP. I did a Google search of the error and it gave me a Microsoft Article about keeping WZC enabled.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-connecting-to-home-wireless-network.163328/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi For the last couple of weeks i've had rubbish speed on my pc when connected to wireless Used to get around Mbps bandwidth but this has decreased to around Mbs I have other machines i have not tampered with on the same network which perform fine around Mbps I tried several 'Speedguide' config wireless one with Issue on on home network pc tweaks including Nagle algorythm tweak but get varying speeds and 'rubberbanding' when playing games online BF Issue with config on one pc on wireless home network and huge lag spikes from around ms up to Specs Win Home Premium Intel i k gh Netgear DG G v BIOS router firmware and all drivers are up to date Please find below my analyser results SpeedGuide net TCP Analyzer Results Tested on IP address xxx xxx Client OS browser Windows Chrome TCP options string b MSS MTU TCP Window multiple of MSS RWIN Scaling bits Unscaled RWIN Recommended RWINs BDP limit ms kbps KBytes s BDP limit ms kbps KBytes s MTU Discovery ON TTL Timestamps OFF SACKs ON IP ToS I hope someone can suggest something Cheers

A:Issue with config on one pc on wireless home network

Quote: Originally Posted by nightfrogs

Hi,

For the last couple of weeks, i've had rubbish speed on my pc when connected to wireless. Used to get around 6Mbps bandwidth but this has decreased to around 2Mbs.

I have 2 other machines (i have not tampered with :/) on the same network which perform fine (around 6Mbps).

I tried several 'Speedguide' tweaks (including Nagle algorythm tweak) but get varying speeds and 'rubberbanding' when playing games online (BF3) and huge lag spikes (from around 40ms up to 1000+).

Specs:
Win 7 Home Premium, Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4gh
Netgear DG834G v4
BIOS, router firmware and all drivers are up to date.

Please find below my analyser results:

? SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results ?
Tested on: 2012.12.21 05:26
IP address: 2.99.xxx.xxx
Client OS/browser: Windows 7 (Chrome 23.0.1271.95)

TCP options string: 020405b401010402
MSS: 1460
MTU: 1500
TCP Window: 64240 (multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 0 bits
Unscaled RWIN : 64240
Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
BDP limit (200ms): 2570kbps (321KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 1028kbps (128KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 108
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

I hope someone can suggest something.

Cheers!

What is the make and model of your router?

What is the signal strength on these machines?

There are settings in your routers set up page that can have a dramatic effect on wireless performance, 6Mbps is terrible.

If you can post a screen shot of the Xirrus WiFi inspector it will help greatly.
Wi-Fi Inspector | Xirrus

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/270100-issue-config-one-pc-wireless-home-network.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Wireless network connection drops out from pc to router No obvious Wireless Solved: home network disconnections line of site interference microwave is nearby but not in line of sight and running or not has no impact Corldless phone base station was line of sight but has been moved and in use or not has no impact Distance between pc and router is lt meters Belkin port switch wireless router Various pci wifi cards tried with differing chipsets with Solved: Wireless home network disconnections updated drivers with stubby wired and dbi gain antennas Signal is when checked And different pci slots on the various cards tried although it has a unique non shared interrupt anyhow Standard XP Home install - new pc with all updates and motherboard drivers applied rd party config utility and windows zero config utility tried WPA PSK used All auto ip and dns settings used and also manually configured ip dns used replicating auto numbers gained from quot ipconfig all quot command Right clicking the wifi icon in the notification area and repairing the connection brings it back more quickly when manual network settings are used Disconnections most frequent immediately following start up after the initial successful connection On one of the cards config utilities I noticed a surge on an interference meter as a disconnection occurred but none of the subsequent cards tried has shown this meter Next doors wifi is visible but locked down but has no impact whether up and running or actively being used to browse No pre n products in use I recall some of the early stuff could take out adjacent networks Any suggestions on what to look at on top of the above I m thinking from the network side - I have one more wireless card I could try but the issue has been constant accross cards and so I no longer suspect hardware on the pc nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

I travel, coast to coast, with a new Toshiba Laptop/Vista that I would like to network with
my Dell/Comcast Cable at home. Is this possible and if so, where do I start?

I would like to be able to check Email at home, Share all files, etc.

What hardware do I need to buy?
The basics on how to configure both computers?

If possible, and I can get the two computers networked, I would like to also connect
my Comcast Cable TV to the home PC maybe through wireless Slingbox or something similar and be able to watch cable TV on the laptop while on the road.

Would also like to set up security cams around the house for checking on things while on the road.

Is any or all of this possible?
Thanks for all help and not real tecky so low tech descriptions will help.

jerry

A:Network Laptop ATT Wireless to Home Comcast

If you buy a cellular network card for the laptop, you can do what you are looking to do.

It would help if you accurately described your current home setup, and any projected additions, like the cameras.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
Make and model of the router.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-laptop-att-wireless-to-home-comcast.639773/