Windows Support Forum

Accessing domain-joined Windows 7 laptop from XP workgroup PC

Q: Accessing domain-joined Windows 7 laptop from XP workgroup PC

Hello I am using a domain-joined laptop with Windows Professional at work Now I am trying to integrate it into my home network which consists mainly of a Windows XP Professional SP desktop After enabling a guest account and sharing on the WinXP machine I am able to access shared folders on the WinXP desktop from the Win laptop which is not too bad However I was not able to access shared folders on the Win laptop from the WinXP PC not even after enabling all advanced sharing features and disabling the firewall Both using the computer name HAL and the IP address gives me a quot Windows cannot find quot error Pinging the Win laptop works though I wouldn t like to leave the domain to join the local workgroup and am not desperate enough for a dual boot installation or other major work-arounds I have come across especially since sharing the other way around works But maybe some of you guys have a suggestion what else I could try Thanks a lot for your help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-domain-joined-windows-7-laptop-from-xp-workgroup-pc.954751/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Accessing domain-joined Windows 7 laptop from XP workgroup PC

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 98.04%

Dears,
We are installing this antivirus product F-Secure Client Security on hundreds of Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit machines on the client's domain. Problem is it takes very long time some times up to 6 hours for installation to complete.
We tested when the same machine was taken out of the domain into Workgroup and installation just takes 5mins which is normal.
We have consulted with F-Secure vendor support and they have concluded that some winapi function related to service creation hangs on customer machines when services are created. And they recommend to get support from Microsoft experts on this.
Can you give us some guidance on how to troubleshoot this further and resolve the issue.

Thank you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/338c261f-a651-4b9d-8663-32c62071855b/installation-of-fsecure-av-takes-very-long-time-when-pc-is-joined-to-domain-no-issues-when-on?forum=w8itproappcompat
Relevancy 80.41%

I have some computers in my network with windows 8.1 professional installed; after joining those computers to domain and if the user is with (deny removable sotrage read/write access) group policy applied; the user gets deny access on all disk drives except
the system one.
if the user can access the removable disks he can access all disk drives.
any explain or solution for this weird issue?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ola

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/52ebc11c-f930-432c-bcb1-eca6d2a0c770/windows-81-domain-joined-issue?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 79.55%

Having trouble disabling pin sign on for our domain joined machines.

it just doesn't seem to work, I have tried using the registry tweak and GPO policy.

Can someone help please?

Firaz

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53995-windows-10-domain-joined-how-disable-pin-sign.html
Relevancy 79.12%

hi,

when i add win 7 client machine to a domain i got this error " an attempt to resolve the DNS name of a domain contrller in the domain being joined has failed" how to solve it . plz help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/an-attempt-to-resolve-the-dns-name-of-a-domain-contrller-in-the-domain-being-joined.1083813/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi

I recently joined my HP Envy Recline 27 k210na which was upgraded to windows 10 to a Windows 2012 R2 Domain. But have an issue.

Once I login with a user account, domain or non domain, I am unable to use the fast user switching. When choosing to switch account, I will be taken to the login screen, and when I select 'Other' to login with another account, it takes me to the existing user's password entry screen.

If I sign out, and select 'Other' to login as a different user, I get the same issue. I have to reboot the machine to be able to login with another user account.

I restored the pc to factory defaults and upgraded again, then rejoined the domain, but the problem is still there.

Please help

A:Domain Joined Windows 10 - Fast User Switching

When signing in to a Windows PC which has joined a domain with other than a domain account, you need to use a so called full username (ComputerName\UserProfileName).

In above screenshot example I simply replaced the default domain username with the credentials of a local account using the full username and can now sign in using those credentials.

Clicking the link How do I sign in to another domain shows these instructions:

Kari

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/43503-domain-joined-windows-10-fast-user-switching.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi,

I have a domain joined windows 7pro (64bit) not able to connect to shared folder on a non domain joined pc with windows 7pro (32bit). Only public folders are accessible. I get a do not have permission message, I tried adding the domain\user to share permissions but domain is not recognized on the non domain-joined pc.

Does my domain admin have access to the homegroup and the shared folders on the home pc?

What are my options for access to a non public secure folder on the non domain pc from the domain joined pc.

Sorry for the awkward description, don't know how else to describe the situation.

my apologies if these questions were addressed elsewhere, I could not find any relevant threads.

Thanks

A:Domain joined pc, does domain admin have access to my homegroup

Hi Takatso, welcome to sevenforums. As I read you post, it looks like you are logged into your domain joined PC as a domain user is this correct? If so, your PC will be treated as acting as a part of the domain. If you then try and connect to another pc at home, there will be a problem as your home pc is not recognised by the domain pc as part of the domain. You should set yourself up a user account on the domain pc whilst it is NOT connected to the domain, login to the new account whilst not on the domain and then try sharing the folders with the non-domain pc.

No, your does not have access on the home computer as they are part of the domain and not the homegroup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/168990-domain-joined-pc-does-domain-admin-have-access-my-homegroup.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello,

I have windows 8.1 computers in the domain and all users are set in to the power users group for security.
just like the old times Windows XP to prevent them from installing programs.. etc

but on windows 8.1 its different .. they have to be in the local admin group to share folders and this is very strange really.

i tried searching here and there but now luck .. i tried to look in the group policy with no use.

is there a way to let power users to share folders on domian joined windows 8 pcs? 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8bff4c13-1b19-42ec-9100-4d8d1988be3e/power-users-cannot-share-folders-on-windows-8-joined-domain-pcs?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 76.97%

I have an XP laptop on a domain... I also want to take this laptop home and use it on my home network... Is there a way I can switch between the 2 easily with a display config or a docked user and non-docked user??
Thanks!

A:XP Laptop on Domain and workgroup

What kind of network do you have at home?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-laptop-on-domain-and-workgroup.466694/
Relevancy 76.97%

We've been having some problems upgrading some Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10.  The PCs are joined to a domain on different client networks, and when going through the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, the error comes up and says 'Windows 10 will not run
on this PC.'  The reason it says it will not run is because the PC is going to a domain and to contact your system administrator.  Has anyone run into this problem or have any ideas on how to resolve?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d88f924f-2a75-4dc4-8127-67edce02cfc1/cant-upgrade-windows-7-sp1-pro-to-windows-10-pc-is-joined-to-a-domain-contact-your-system?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 72.67%

hello,

After I joined a domain , I lost my wall paper, desktop settings ,IE favorites ,etc...

I guess that would be considered my profile that was lost ?

Is there a way to copy my old profile to my new one

or a way to get my old settings back ? and stay on the domain of course.

Windows XP is my OS

thanks

A:joined a domain

All user settings are in folders under "C:\Documents and settings\user name". Your domain user name will be your name with the domain postfixed to it (divided by a period). For example, NAME.DOMAIN

If you know your old username, you should be able to just copy all the files and folders from under "C:\Documents and settings\Old Name" directly into "Documents and settings\New Name".

It would probably be a good idea to backup the current folder of the new name first just in case also.

-niko

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/joined-a-domain.264819/
Relevancy 71.81%

I'm having the same 'issue'. I've been told to try and find a way to have the computer boot to the login screen and display a specific user name, not necessarily the last user name to log in. For some reason(s), the extra clicks it takes to switch users or leaving the default account blank is not acceptable, so I'm also trying to find a way to do what vao wants to do. Any ideas? Someone tried the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI
LastLoggedOnSAMUser = Computername\username (or domainname\username for a domain account)
LastLoggedOnUser = .\username (or domainname\username for a domain account), but apparently it didn't work.

I'm going to give it a shot of mine own just because, but any other ideas?

Thanks

A:I'm in the same spot, but I am joined to a domain.

When Windows boots normally to the login screen it shows the available user accounts in alphanumerical order according to the respective user profile's original name. A later username change does not change this order, to change it you have to rename not only your username but also the user profile folder. Only renaming the user account still keeps the original user profile folder. In Windows 7 for example old username Alex changed to Xavier, user Xavier would still have his user profile in C:\Users\Alex.

Available user accounts are presented (Windows 7) in one (1 to 5 accounts) or more (6 or more accounts) rows. Windows defaults to the left most (top left when 6 or more accounts) user account, in other words the first in alphanumerical order. In Windows XP the accounts are presented in one column, defalting to the top most account.

This should be considered when you install Windows. If it is important that Windows always pre-selects (defaults to) a certain account, you need to give it a name which certainly remains alphanumerically first. I recommend using numbers in addition to names.

An example: Your goal is to have 1 administrative user, account name Admin, and 2 standard users named Bubba and Charlie. By default Windows 7 would show these accounts in alphabetical order, Admin, Bubba, Charlie. However, you'd like accounts to be shown as Charlie, Admin, Bubba, showing the account Charlie first and defaulting to it.

The first account you create when finalizing Windows 7 installation is always an administrative account. This account you'd like to be shown second, so you name it 2. Admin. You finalize installation, boot to desktop first time and create the two additional user accounts, naming them 1. Charlie and 3. Bubba

Without the numbers your user accounts would be shown in alphabetical order:Admin Bubba CharlieUsing the numbered system, the accounts will be shown in alphanumerical order:1. Charlie 2. Admin 3. BubbaOn an existing installation the only way to "move" a certain account to the first position is to change both the username and the name of the respective user profile folder to something that comes alphanumerically first. Tutorial: User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/319474-im-same-spot-but-i-am-joined-domain.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been answered before ...

I have 5 pc's at home all running Win 7 Ultimate. 1 of the PC's (my laptop) is joined to my works domain.

The problem I am having is I can't get it to join the Homegroup when I am at home.

all I really need to be able to do is to access folders on each of the other pc's as and when needed (full access)

Is there any way to resolve this?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Paul

A:Homegroup and Domain Joined PC

This page covers it pretty well. There are a couple of different methods you can use.

Note If your computer belongs to a domain, you won't be able to share files and printers with a homegroup, but you can still access files and printers shared by others.

Switching between your home and workplace networks

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/79368-homegroup-domain-joined-pc.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello Every One
I have the admin laptop and it works fine except the wireless. The wireless works fine if i take it out from the domain and join the workgroup.

I have used the domain admin account and the machine local admin account and it does not work.
The hardware is OK and seems enabled with no problem except it does not see any wifi network.
The Laptop run Win 7 Pro.
Best Regards

Raid 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4fcb4b7b-a5a3-43ef-b91c-f0e740ba9a76/wifi-cannot-detect-any-network-when-i-join-the-laptop-in-domain-it-works-fine-when-back-to?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 70.95%

Greetings Let me preface this by Windows and changes Domain/Workgroup XP saying that I think I did something very stupid My laptop is a work laptop It is setup to log in through a specific domain at my office While not thinking and trying to get some files transfered to it through my local workgroup at my private home network I switched the computer configuration from using the office domain to use my local home workgroup Upon rebooting to register the change I am no longer able to log Windows XP and Domain/Workgroup changes in I keep receiving the quot The system could not log you in Make sure your User name and domain are correct quot I realize this is probably something I won t be able to Windows XP and Domain/Workgroup changes fix myself but in hopes of saving some time tomorrow is there anything I can do to remedy this situation Information OS Windows XP Windows XP and Domain/Workgroup changes -Administrator password unknown network support at office keeps this -Log on screen does not allow me to change the domain name to log in to no field for domain name even in the options section Thanks nbsp

A:Windows XP and Domain/Workgroup changes

My guess is that you are logging onto your user account on your computer which means that you also need the password that was set up for your account on the computer. This is different from the network one that you use when logging in your work domain. If you can't remember or don't know the password, try leaving the password field blank - just worth a try. Otherwise, you'll probably need administrator access to change the password.
Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-and-domain-workgroup-changes.414448/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello all I've just spent the last day and a half reading forums but no-one seems to have had the same problem as I have We've just bought a new vista business x machine to add to our existing network All the other machines are Vista machine not joined domain xp running xp pro sp I've Vista machine not joined xp domain added the vista machine to the domain and logged in using my domain id In the 'Network' folder I can see all the other machine names So far so good If I try and access one however I get one of two things A dialog asking for username and password It doesn't accept anything I type in An error message saying the account is locked I can ping any of the xp machines by name or ip and get a response ok Trying to access in the other direction all is fine From an xp machine I can access any folder on the vista machine make changes everything I've installed LLTD on one of the xp machines so it appears on the full map thing otherwise it has made no difference All folders have been set to 'Everyone full access' Any ideas

A:Vista machine not joined xp domain

Have you tried this:- Workgroup Password

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/109697-vista-machine-not-joined-xp-domain.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi,
I am unable to ping/remote desktop/access shared drives to a XP machine after it joins the domain. I removed it from the domain, everything is fine. I disabled anti-virus program, no luck. Firewall setting is from the GPO. Other computers in this domain
are fine.
DNS, DHCP match the computer IP. When I ping it, I got 4 "Request timed out" reply.
Please advise!
Thanks in advance!

Grace

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a868c65f-c3ad-477c-abd8-a9e86a51daec/unable-to-connect-to-a-xp-after-it-joined-the-domain?forum=itproxpsp
Relevancy 70.95%

I've joined our corporate domain fine, but every time I try to log in, I get the following message:"You have been logged on with a temporary profile.  Try logging in later...I've tried to find any tpoics regarding this and found none.  Anyone seen this or have any ideas to rey.  I've unjoined and rejoined the domain several times to rule that out, and can get nothing to change.  Thanks,

A:Domain joined but trying to log on gives temporary profile only

Hi,

I haven?t encountered similar issue. However, you can refer to the following KB to troubleshoot the problem.

A temporary profile is loaded after you log on to a Windows Vista-based system

Hope it helps.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6098d7f7-9074-4142-9c12-dc09a5185580/domain-joined-but-trying-to-log-on-gives-temporary-profile-only?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 70.09%

PCs are Win Ultimate All are joined to the Domain Domain Controller DNS DHCP Server on same instance is Server standard The network topology is like this Router as Internet Gateway gt Switch identifying Cards will only or intermittently, Inside the Domain-Joined no Network when network Connections will Network longer, Network join Domain PC from gt Wired to Server and PC's SIP phones and Wireless Access Point Domain-Joined PC Network Cards will no longer, or will only intermittently, join the Domain Network when identifying Network Connections from Inside network all on same subnet DNS and DHCP have been offloaded Domain-Joined PC Network Cards will no longer, or will only intermittently, join the Domain Network when identifying Network Connections from Inside network to Server Roles and switched off on the router All of the PCs have network cards that have joined the domain network at least some of the time since I set them up Some of them have always picked up the domain network and continue to this day Some of them intermittently pick up the domain network and other times join whatever other unmanaged network is available Some of them have stopped picking up the domain network altogether and will no matter how many times their NICs are restarted always join a non-domain unmanaged network When the NICs are not joining the domain they are unable to ping hostnames of any devices on the network but nslookup of the hostnames usually works The DC DNS DHCP server's IP can be pinged without issue ipv or ipv I am recording DNS Client Errors ID on all of the PCs during the intervals when their NICs are identifying which network to join -On the PCs that are catching the domain network I am only getting a single error about the root domain eg the domain is ad domain com and I am only getting errors about how the configured DNS servers cannot resolve domain com nothing with fully qualified domain names eg server ad domain com -On the PCs that are not catching the domain network I get a few different instances of the same error substituted quot domain quot for my root domain name Name resolution for the name WPAD ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name lt DC-DNS-DHCPSERVERNAME gt ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name LDAP TCP DC MSDCS ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name ISATAP ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Based on what I've read about NLA service choosing the domain to log into I believe this rd error is the big one although I guess the big error is that my configured DNS servers are not responding except to NSLookups From what I understand the Network Location Awareness Service Provider will roughly do the following look into the registry to see if there is an entry for a domain network to join and if there is it will attempt to contact the domain controller of the same domain name If it is successful with both parts it will join the domain network named quot ad domain com quot If not it will fall back to one of the other options ie home private public quot whatever its called network quot I have tried many of the fixes presented for similar issues but I haven't found anything that's worked A few things I have tried while cycling my NICs on and off to test -turned off the firewall nbsp -poked holes in the firewall for TCP UDP port -poked holes in the firewall for TCP UDP port -ipconfig flushdns ipconfig registerdns -netsh int ip reset -netsh reset Winsock catalog and restarted -route f and restarted -turned off DHCP Client Service -restarted DHCP client Service -turned off IPV on NICs -hard-coded DNS servers IPV and -hard-coded static IPs and DNS Servers only IPV -sfc scannow to scan for integrity violations All of these and also some combinations of these and more that I can't remember One more p... Read more

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/303bcde4-6a0b-4bc4-baff-929f0b6b4261/domainjoined-pc-network-cards-will-no-longer-or-will-only-intermittently-join-the-domain-network?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi everyone , could this be a policy , or do I have to unjoin the computer from domain?

Thank you

A:Reset this PC does not show on domain joined computer

I believe that a policy could prevent this. Anything that drastic should be preventable by group policy. Talk to the IT staff.
Be aware that only a domain administrator can rejoin a computer to the domain.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/48592-reset-pc-does-not-show-domain-joined-computer.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I am running Windows 7 and changed domain to workgroup. But when I immediately tried to change back to domain it gives following error"An Active directory domain controller for the domain "my domain name" could not be contacted.I guess I would have to connect to my companies Wifi to access the same but I am in remote location.Will a system restore help. I haven't yet restarted my computer after domain change

A:Change Windows 7 PC from workgroup back to domain

You'll need to be a Domain Administrator on your company's network to do this (presuming they have set up sensible security). Talk to your IT staff.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/change-windows-7-pc-from-workgroup-back-to-domain/18997.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I would like to configure ATA to be in a work group and external to the monitored domain. Not having SEIM I plan to use ATA to collect the events using eventlog forwarding. In the documentation, it is mentioned that the domain controllers and ATA gateways
are connected to the same domain. So is my desired configuration of an ATA workgroup outside the domain not possible ?
thanks for any information

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/17cb67f4-2685-4c44-aacc-49c5d733de25/configure-evnt-forwarding-from-dc-gt-non-domain-joined-collector?forum=mata
Relevancy 69.23%

I know I can edit the registry to set a single computer to AutoLogon, but that requires a specific username and password.  

So what would I do if the resource users all have different usernames? We are trying to make a GP to force AutoLogon for our conference rooms, but they all have their own username and password (Conf1, Conf2, Conf3...).

Can I set up an OU level GPO that automatically pulls the domain user credentials for any workstation in the OU?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c815ca18-5b56-4bc0-900c-7536b83ee516/automatic-logon-for-domain-joined-resource-computers?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 69.23%

Ok, we've moved all our users to a new domain and for all but one I was able to use a migration tool to do all the grunt work.

However one users already had a profile on the new domain so I was not able to migrate their old info over using the tool so I have to do it manually.

This is something I have only done a few times and none of them recently.

Someone have a link to a guide or how-to for this or can explain in in easy steps?

I have already joined his PC to the new domain and now just need to move over his profile/email/outlook...etc.

TIA

A:[resolved] Joined to new domain, need to move user profile

Easier than I thought, just copied all his old stuff over, move his pst file and reconnected and he was good to go.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resolved-joined-to-new-domain-need-to-move-user-profile-55659.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi
In our domain we have a policy to change the wallpaper every month. The change is done from server side.
Now wallpaper of most of users is changed but for few it remains the old wallpaper.

For example I have windows 8 and mine is not updated.
I also have tried gpupdate /force. No luck.

This issue is only with few systems running windows xp 7 and 8.

These systems only show the last months wallpaper not the one updated.

Also these windows are fully updated as of now.

A:Desktop wallpaper not changed on domain joined users

Any help m?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/35742-desktop-wallpaper-not-changed-domain-joined-users.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello All
I've never had to do this one before... Well I have but never with these restrictions.
Anyway, here's our environment
Windows 2008 R2 Domain
Windows 7 Enterprise Clients
Remote Users utilize Cisco AnyConnect for VPN
My issue:
I have a remote user who is receiving a new laptop.
I have built a new system for this user; however, if I send him the computer like this (domain joined), he will not be able to log on to it as his domain profile would not be cached yet.  I was told I cannot reset his password, in order to configure his
system before he receives it - I understand this and I like this practice.  I also, do not want to ask for his password.
My Question would be...  How is everyone else dealing with this?  I cannot be the only one that had to deal with this.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fa161097-4c50-4a6c-bd6b-0259646fd4c7/sending-a-new-domain-joined-win7-pc-to-a-remote-worker?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 69.23%

Hello and Help First off if this is a repeated thread sorry and please redirect me however I have searched and not found my exact problem I work for a medium sized organisation with Win as our corporate standard We have started to hand Out Dell Venue Pro devices with for trial The Problem that I am getting is as soon as I join these to the domain the next person to log on to the Tablet gets the Metro apps Black x and no store access I Metro to fail joined apps the when domain device can resolve this by doing these first steps Firstly delete the localprofile The following finallyfixed all issues for me Store and all apps broken with black X can'taccess PC Settings Fixing the app store Open registryeditor typing regedit exe from a command line Browse to the registry key atHKEY CURRENT USER Software Classes LocalSettings software microsoft windows currentversion appmode l repository packages Right click on the packages key and bring up the Permissions tab Click the Advanced button located at the bottom right corner Check to see the account name that shows up as the Owner thisis the first line of text on the advanced security settings dialog for the packages key It should say SYSTEM For me this showed the built-inlocal Administrators group If it is any other account click on the Change button next toit Type SYSTEM in Metro apps fail when device joined to the domain the select user dialog If Multiple NamesFound window comes up select the row for SYSTEM Click OK to the dialogs and close them all Run from admin command prompt Powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage-DisableDevelopmentMode -Register Env SystemRoot WinStore AppxManifest xml Fixing all modern apps Run from admin PowerShell Get-ChildItem quot HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Appx AppxAllUserStore InboxApplications quot Get-ItemProperty Path Add-AppxPackage -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode When Iran this the black X persisted until after the next step and reboot Buttrying to start an app gives me a new message and a link to the store However I need to be able to hand these out to several hundred people and do not want to be performing this fix for every new user logging on to a shared tablet Do we have GPO's causing this Is it a known issue that I cant find Any help would be great and again if there is info already out there please direct me as I cannot believe this is normal Thanks in advance Oli

A:Metro apps fail when device joined to the domain

Welcome to Windows EightForums, coxo2609.

Never worked IT so not the savviest here. Can this be performed through Group Policy some how?

Group Policy API (Windows)

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/58297-metro-apps-fail-when-device-joined-domain.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi

From my laptop I need access to 2 different "networks":

(A) I access a Workgroup within Microsoft Windows Network (I have the correct Workgroup name) to get access to printers and other computers at work.

(B) I sometimes run VPN to "log" in the domain at my university (necessary for Email clients).

(A) works when I start my laptop. But if I open the VPN connection and then close it, (A) does not work anymore most of the time.

I run Windows XP Professional without the "simple file sharing" option.

Anyone can help? Many thanks!

A:MS windows network Workgroup does not work after a VPN session on another domain

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-windows-network-workgroup-does-not-work-after-a-vpn-session-on-another-domain.692162/
Relevancy 68.8%

I ve been testing the boot times of a PC I domain load - time Slow or workgroup? Windows 7 x64 Pro m trying to fix up and it s currently m - s The goal is to cut down this time as much as possible Would the fact that this used to Slow load time Windows 7 x64 Pro - domain or workgroup? be a corporate machine and on a domain be an Slow load time Windows 7 x64 Pro - domain or workgroup? issue Would moving it to a local workgroup profile make a difference Here are a few things I ve done Ensure system is clean of adware amp malware Disabled MS Mobile Sync Centre Setting wait time to for network in gpedit msc did not make a difference Removed Trend Micro security and replaced with MBAM amp MSE Removed unnecessary programs from startup such as Java SE update Adobe Reader Programs in startup are SynTPEnh exe touchpad Hot Keys hkcmd exe Logmein Family Safety fsui exe MSE Persistence igfxpers exe not sure what this does Disk Defrag - no changes Cleared all unnecessary files and wiped free space using CCleaner Specs Win Pro bit RAM GB usable Windows Experience index Low score to Gaming Graphics Questions Would it help to move from a domain to a workgroup local profile Should I just increase the ram to GB Is there anything else I can do that may help boot times Any help is appreciated nbsp

A:Slow load time Windows 7 x64 Pro - domain or workgroup?

> Check boot time into safe mode
> Check time for a clean boot

Would the fact that this used to be a corporate machine and on a domain be an issue? Would moving it to a local workgroup profile make a difference?Click to expand...

Is this machine supposed to remain part of a corporate domain?

p.s. Is a reinstall an option? (may be the easiest approach)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-load-time-windows-7-x64-pro-domain-or-workgroup.200429/
Relevancy 68.8%

I have been able to log in to my tablet pc running XP pro SP can't xp from to edition) to workgroup, After log (tablet domain changing on windows both at work where I am on After changing from domain to workgroup, can't log on to windows xp (tablet edition) a domain and at home I wanted to print from the tablet via my desktop at home so in order to access the local resources I thought I had to tell my tablet to connect to the local windows workgroup rather than through a domain so I switched this setting - but now at the log on screen it will not accept my username and password and I always get the message quot The system could not log you on Make sure your User name and domain are correct then type your password again quot I cannot access After changing from domain to workgroup, can't log on to windows xp (tablet edition) my computer at all - hitting F and trying safe mode or any of the other options don t work - I always end up at the log on screen with the same results Any ideas I have to find a way to log on Secondarily is there a way to access my printer on the local workgroup without encountering this problem again Thanks nbsp

A:After changing from domain to workgroup, can't log on to windows xp (tablet edition)

I don't see how Safe Mode can do that - it should let you in , if only as the Administrator. It's the Function 8 key - not 5 - was that a typo or will Safe Mode simply not come up?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-changing-from-domain-to-workgroup-cant-log-on-to-windows-xp-tablet-edition.310976/
Relevancy 68.8%

I have been able to log in to my tablet pc running XP pro SP both at work where I am on a domain and at home I wanted to print from the tablet via my desktop at home so in order to access the local resources I thought I had to tell my tablet to connect to the local windows workgroup rather than through a domain so I switched this setting - but now at domain log xp workgroup, (tablet changing can't edition) on from to windows to After the log on screen After changing from domain to workgroup, can't log on to windows xp (tablet edition) it will not accept my username and password and I always get the message quot The system could not log you on Make sure your User name and domain are correct then type your password again quot I cannot access my computer at all - hitting F and trying safe mode or any of the other options don't work - I always end up at the log on screen with the same results Any ideas I have to find a way to log on Secondarily is there a way to access my printer on the local workgroup without encountering this problem again Thanks

A:After changing from domain to workgroup, can't log on to windows xp (tablet edition)

Your domain login credentials are on the domain server, not on the local machine. You need to use a local machine logon for what you're trying to do.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/after-changing-from-domain-to-workgroup-cant-log-on-to-windows-xp-tablet-edition-30470.html
Relevancy 68.8%

A user has been using her laptop for several years and uses Outlook for her POP3 email.
When we installed a server and joined her laptop to the domain she was unable to see her email without logging out of the server and logging back into her local account.
How do I let her domain profile be the same as her local profile?

A:User loses access to outlook email after being joined to domain

You can't, it's considered as a different user. Just take the settings from Outlook and import them into the other account name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-loses-access-to-outlook-email-after-being-joined-to-domain.134427/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi Guys,
Was hoping someone can help me. I'm having this exact issue:
https://support.software.dell.com/kb/sw13532 and the workarounds aren't working. Logged a case with SonicWALL and they referred me to log a case with Microsoft. So, before going down that
lonely road, maybe someone has seen this before.
In short, when a workstation connects to the SonicWALL SSLVPN; DNS resolution to internal DNS servers via the VPN fail. If I dis join the computer from the domain, DNS resolution works fine via VPN. This only affects SonicWALL SSLVPN clients that are joined
to the domain.
Any suggestions or hopefully a link to the Windows Update\Patch?
Thanks,
Jacques

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/67ed7c43-e34a-472c-8b9b-e5412db4d1b7/dns-resolution-failure-with-sonicwall-mobile-connect-vpn-and-domain-joined-computer?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi I have a strange problem I cant workout It started with a new customer RDP server which we could not connect to an app once logged in If on an external PC it works OK If I create to Cant Server connect GPO RDWEB 2012 applied joined Customer and domain once a fresh PC on our LAN it works If I this PC to the domain it works If I move the PC to a UK Specific OU it stops working If I move back Cant connect to RDWEB 2012 Customer Server once domain joined and GPO applied out of the OU it still does not work If I remove from the domain and do quot GPUPDATE FORCE BOOT quot and reboot and log backon as local admin account it still does not work So there seems to be something in particular on the GPO in the UK OU in AD which causes the problem but even after moving the computer out it seems to store this mysterious setting and fails to work unless reimaged Any suggestions besides adding each option one by one in test GPO OU

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8ad83deb-4e2f-40a3-93b1-b9249838c129/cant-connect-to-rdweb-2012-customer-server-once-domain-joined-and-gpo-applied?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi im running windows 10 32bit I have 6gb of ram and it only shows i have (2.99) out of (6)Gb any idea how to fix

A:Hi I got windows 10 finally and joined i just joined ;)

Originally Posted by Briguy

Hi im running windows 10 32bit I have 6gb of ram and it only shows i have (2.99) out of (6)Gb any idea how to fix

32 bit can only see 4GB Max. You'd need to install 64bit version.

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/38247-hi-i-got-windows-10-finally-joined-i-just-joined.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi,
we deployed a RADIUS wifi network using PEAP with MSChapV2 for authentication (FreeRADIUS server). While it has always worked with all of our Windows 7 clients flawlessly, we are having issues with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 clients. Connecting works again
fine if a local user account is used. As soon as we use a domain-joined account it will not connect.
We are using a certificate signed by our company's custom certificate authority for the RADIUS server. We've verified that the CA is correctly installed and also tried a connection without verification of the certificate.
We are also using the latest available driver from Intel for the wifi card.
Do you have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks in advance!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9e9d07ee-f7a2-4ad6-af1c-88346bdc4551/connecting-to-a-radius-8021x-wifi-network-does-not-work-with-domainjoined-user-accounts?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 67.08%

Since
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3167679 users trying to change password on Win7 get:

"The system detected a possible attempt to compromise security. Please ensure that you can contact the server that authenticated you."
Is there any registry patch that can force NTLM (disable kerberos auth), maybe similar to https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/dfd79bc1-cf36-42b7-9911-346912f4def6/windows-7-can-see-samba-shares-but-cannot-see-samba-domain?forum=w7itpronetworking
Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6ae0b2d5-da14-4a63-8175-5e7f889b2adf/kb3167679-breaks-password-changing-on-win7-joined-in-nt-style-domain-samba-3623?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi everyone!
Noticed, that if I try to access a shared folder located on domain computer from non-domain computer, typing \ \ computername\sharename, pop-up authentication window appears after some time (30-80 sec). But, if I type \\computername  without pointing
sharename, pop-up authentication window appears instantly.
If I run created shortcut for this share - pop-up authentication window appears instantly.
I can easily reproduce this problem, it appeared on all machines I was testing.

Can it be fixed somehow? In my scenario, I can not use net use cmd.
Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cad57344-0d3d-433f-b3f8-df6187ddbbf4/accessing-domain-shared-folder-from-nondomain-computer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to track which users are accessing files on the network.

For example, Bob has access to the sales folder, he opens a document called sales.txt.

Is there a place where this info is logged? Can I see when he accessed the file?

I am workin in a windows 2000 domain.

Thanks

A:Windows 2000 Domain--Tracking users and which files they are accessing?

I did find an auditing feature under the folder properties.

You right click the folder that you want to monitor and select properties, security, advanced, auditing, then add the user that you wish to monitor.

The results are listed in event viewer, under the security section.

I guess this does accomplish what I am asking, but it seems very tedious.

I'm still up for better suggestions.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-domain-tracking-users-and-which-files-they-are-accessing.547676/
Relevancy 63.64%

All I have a windows server that controls my windows domain I know I know I'm using old technology I have XP workstations that access network drives on the windows server Now I put my first Win Pro workstation on my network but I didn't join it to the windows domain I just want the win workstation to be able to map a drive from the 2000 Shares HELP! Accessing 7 Windows Windows and Domain windows server I've tried everything I mean everything net use z windows svr share USER user domainname net use z windows svr share USER domainname user Neither worked I also tried this Click start Type regedit Press enter In the left expand these folders HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares In the left click on HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares the folder named Lsa In the right double-click quot LmCompatibilityLevel quot Type the number and press enter Restart your computer Click Start Click Control Panel Click System and Maintenance Click Administrative Tools Double-Click Local Security Policy In the left pane click the triangle next to Local Policy In the left pane click Security Options In the right pane near the bottom double-click quot Network security LAN manager authentication level quot Click the drop-down box and click quot Send LM amp NTLM - use NTLMv session security if negotiated quot Click OK NONE OF THIS WORKED CAN ANYONE HELP ME

A:HELP! Windows 2000 Domain and Windows 7 Accessing Shares

Quote: Originally Posted by sekondborn

All....
I have a windows 2000 server that controls my windows domain (I know, I know, I'm using old technology). I have 4 XP workstations that access network drives on the windows 2000 server. Now I put my first Win7 Pro workstation on my network, but I didn't join it to the windows domain. I just want the win7 workstation to be able to map a drive from the windows 2000 server.
I've tried everything! I mean, everything!

net use z: \\windows2000svr\share /USER:[email protected]
net use z: \\windows2000svr\share /USER:domainname\user

Neither worked...
I also tried this...

Click start
Type: regedit
Press enter
In the left, expand these folders: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
In the left, click on the folder named: Lsa
In the right, double-click "LmCompatibilityLevel"
Type the number 1 and press enter
Restart your computer
Click Start
Click Control Panel
Click System and Maintenance
Click Administrative Tools
Double-Click Local Security Policy
In the left pane, click the triangle next to Local Policy
In the left pane, click Security Options
In the right pane near the bottom, double-click "Network security: LAN manager authentication level"
Click the drop-down box, and click "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"
Click OK

NONE OF THIS WORKED!

CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!

Try using the settings outlined in the link below. The settings listed have been working to allow access into older servers from Windows 7 and 8 machines.

Solved W2K3 Server can access W8 W8 computer cant see W2K server

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309353-help-windows-2000-domain-windows-7-accessing-shares.html
Relevancy 61.92%

This is probably a simple question but here goes.

I have recently been put in charge of our company network of 20 windows xp computers all set up in a workgroup. I have suggested that we install a windows 2003 server and change to a domain stucture for easier administration (and easier on my legs).

What i want to know is is this a good or bad idea for the quantity of computers as i think that 10 computers is the most for a workgroup (especially in a company).

Also i have to convince my boss that its a good idea (if it is) any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Relevancy 61.92%

I am in network (in a workgroup without a domain and without a server) of about 10 computers and of late security has become an issue. I was thinking of installing a network server to manage access to network resources, do i need a domain or the workgroup without a domain can be managed using the active directory in windows server?

A:Workgroup or Domain, which is best?

You need to set up a domain for central management.. Mind you, you can use Samba and a free operating system to set up a NT style domain for free.

How is security an issue? All your users have the same username? Or everyone knows the admin password?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/workgroup-or-domain-which-is-best.50921/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have 3 pc's running through my linky and out to my cable service, my question is can I turn 1 of my machines into a domain or can I only use a workgroup, right now it is set up as a workgroup but I wanted to play around with the domain factor.

Relevancy 61.92%

I've just change jobs and am using the same laptop. An administrator at the new co. used the administrator rights to change the network config. from domain to workgroup. My user profile no longer works, the only way to login to my laptop now is with the administrator id, and my outlook .pst file associated with my userid has disappeared. Is this recoverable, the domain that was deleted doesn't exist on the new network. HELP?

Searching for the .pst as administrator only returns a result that is over 2 years old. Is there anyway to restore all of the setting from my username with the new workgroup settings?

A:Domain to Workgroup

You might can get the .pst file back by trying to import it.

Do a search as administrator on the laptop for .pst

Make a note of where they are located. It will probably indicate a profile with your old login name from your old account.

Then go into Outlook and go to file import and import the old.pst.

This will only work if the new administrator did not delete the old profile from your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-to-workgroup.76673/
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a laptop computer that I use at work on a domain and I take home every day and use on a workgroup the problem is that the computer can't see the other computers on the workgroup I can type in there ip and view them but can't see them by name and they can't see this computer by name or ip. My laptop has xp pro and all the other computers on the workgroup have xp home.

Relevancy 61.92%

I switched my network from a Domain that was UN & PW protected (I have both of these) to a workgroup because I no longer work for the company where I was using my laptop.
The system was not set with a UN & PW prior to joining their Domain, so I wouldnt think it would ask me for a logon to the system.
Any options that anyone would know of would be great.
**Note** This is not a UN & PW question.......I have that info.....for the old Domain at least

Cheers

A:Domain to Workgroup

Is this what you are looking for? How to change computers over from a domain to a workgroup

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-to-workgroup.1059942/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello,
I am in the process of trying out some tests when using ATA and had a couple of questions.
I want to compare and contrast the difference between using ATA in a Domain environment, and using ATA in a workgroup environment.

What are the specific requirements or processes needed when deploying ATA in a Domain environment and in a workgroup environment? Is there any different settings that must be done depending on whether its Domain or Workgroup? Could someone please let me
know the differences between both, regarding the setting and deployment of ATA?
Also, what are the differences regarding what can be done and can't be done with ATA (and all of its functions, features) when being used in a Domain enviroment VS a Workgroup environment??

I really need a detailed information regarding these differences and hope someone can help me out!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/85357e2f-04e4-43d8-a0c3-7214547095fe/domain-vs-workgroup?forum=mata
Relevancy 61.92%

A friend has a small printing business with 6 PCs and two Macs.
The server is a Dell Poweredge 2650 that's near death, and one tech refuses to work on it any more-it's at least 12 years old and apparently has at least one bad drive. The only thing on the server is files.
He wants to avoid the expense of replacing the server (Times are a little tight).
He's moving the business in a few weeks to a smaller place.
What's the disadvantage of switching to a Workgroup (All the PCs are XP Pr o with one Win7 Pro).
Can he use an NAS device to serve files and get satisfactory speed?
This is outside my expertise, so any thoughts are welcome.

Relevancy 61.92%

I am on a DOMAIN right now on my laptop, however I want to set up a home wireless network and told by a friend that I need to change that to workgroup.

I changed it before - and I seemed to have lost the WHOLE profile, and all my desktop icons, and structure of my windows.

Anyone know of a way to accomplish this, without losing anything?

Relevancy 61.92%

Heres the deal...we want to split up our two domains into smaller groups...I mean, have certain people in a groupA and certain people in groupB, while both groupA and groupB are in the same domain...I know this is possible in win98 and was wondering if anyone had any ideas here...

ps we have a mix of 98 and 2000 clients...the 2000 ones are the ones im inquiring about... let me know if i need to be more clear..

thx

A:workgroup & domain?

What is your goal with this setup? Do you just want to restrict access to certain files/folders/servers/share/etc.?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-domain.58087/
Relevancy 61.92%

i m using sify network.my one computer is in domain and other two is in work group.that is why i m not able to connect all to internet on all PC.i connected it through LAN file sharing is possible but have no internet connection. when i m using this internet connection to my laptop alone it connected and i m able to use internet.
bt i want to use internet on my three PC .
tell me what i hv to do

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/about-domain-and-workgroup.1131859/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi Friends,

We have a LAN with a domain. There is one pc that is not connected to domain, but IP address are configured correctly. I need to connect a printer that is connected to a client under domain. Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

A:Workgroup and Domain

http://www.computergeeksonline.net/basics/add-network-printer.aspPut yourself on the domain first. Have to do it if the printer is locally connected.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/401222/workgroup-and-domain/
Relevancy 61.06%

i m unable to join and share files on a private office workgroup, although i use the lan wire in the office to connect to my laptop...how do share files..there is no firewall or anything..i and the entire office use windowsXP...help

Relevancy 61.06%

Hello,

I've added a new laptop to my home network (now 3 computers, all of them with win 7 ultimate 64) . I didn't use home group because i don't like it, so i configured everything manually and everything worked great, file sharing. printer sharing, everything.
And then I added a password to my user on the new laptop to protect it and the sharing between the laptop and the two other computers stopped working. when i try to access the laptop from another computer it reports i have no access, and when i try to access one of the computers from the laptop it asks for a user name and password.
i uninstalled firewall - didn't help. reinstalled. i removed the password - problem solved. added password again - problem returns.
all users on all computers are administrators.

maybe something about group policy...
anyone have an idea ?

A:Problem accessing computers in workgroup

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Does every PC on the network have the same username? I'm guessing that you dont have a password on the other PC's which have the shares on?

If so, add the same password to the other PCs and this should work again. When your computer attempts to access a share it will use the current username and password of the PC that you are logged on to as the default authentication credentials. So when you access a share it uses these credentials.

Another alternative is to make sure that the everyone group has full permissions on the shared folders on the other PCs. This needs to be done in both the Security tab and the Permissions tab within advanced sharing.
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/199933-problem-accessing-computers-workgroup.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi all,

I have 22 sites that will need to be moved out of their existing domain, and into a workgroup type network system.
I know how to manually move each user over, but my question- is there any easier way of moving them, some sort
of migration tool, or, even a way to have their local account stay on the computer when the domain goes down, and have
them log into it instead.

Thanks,
jambi1021

A:Best way to migrate from Domain to Workgroup

jambi1021 said:

Hi all,

I have 22 sites that will need to be moved out of their existing domain, and into a workgroup type network system.
I know how to manually move each user over, but my question- is there any easier way of moving them, some sort
of migration tool, or, even a way to have their local account stay on the computer when the domain goes down, and have
them log into it instead.

Thanks,
jambi1021Click to expand...

Is it not just a matter of Start>Run and typing dcpromo into the Open box, then following the Wizard inks to binning the Active Directory? Hang on for more confident advice - I only had to do this once but no files were lost through that procedure and it was then possible to join a Workgroup in the normal way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-way-to-migrate-from-domain-to-workgroup.914252/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hey My workplace consists of a bunch of PC s used in the main business of Traffic Engineering and then a few other PC s setup as a small internet CAFE sort of a hobby of my boss We recently did some renovating so the CAFE has been out of action and before and Domain Workgroup Integrating we open the doors again we would like to resolve some security issues regarding network access I guess Integrating Domain and Workgroup I should start with a rundown of our current network setup ------------------------------- Windows server Proxy Server for internet connection IIRC the proxy server is its own workgroup or is that domain Engineering PC s belong to own domain CAFE PC s were previously in engineering domain using a restricted access account However recently the setup has been changed such that the CAFE machine now all belong to the same workgroup I think the idea was to have CAFE users only log onto the machines locally as an extra security measure to protect our server ------------------------------- The problem Integrating Domain and Workgroup is that changes to the network setup have been put in place while we were under going renovations As such the CAFE machines were not operating and only one machine has been configured by the external techy My boss has now asked that I setup the remaing machines but I am having real problems arriving at the desired results Ideally I would like the CAFE machine to be be able to logon to the domain as required they are periodicall required by the Engineering section and to also have a local logon that still enables file sharing between the other CAFE machines but no domain access I get partial results but nothing completly perfect Here is a description of what I tried ------------------------------- I joined a workgroup on the CAFE machine but I did get any logon options at startup to log either locally or to the domain just username and password So next I added a Network ID and joined the domain This gave me the desired logon options ie local or domain but I seemed to be able to access some shared domain folders when I log on locally which I don t want local accounts to do Additionally some folders that I thought I would have access to as a local account were denied In particular a Master installation for our antiVirus software was unavailable just thought of something aside Our antiV program has a network setup option Basically it has a master install on one machine that gets all the sig updates Other installs on the network update from the master I figured that i would have to have to seperate Master installs one for the CAFE and one for Engineering I have the Engineering one setup ok however the CAFE master install was not accessible from other PC s in the CAFE I think though that I did the master install in the CAFE when I was logged as a DOMAIN Administrator not a LOCAL Admin Would having done the install as a domain user mean that local accounts on other PC s could not access the files permissions aside aside ------------------------------- A bit wordy but I don t want to miss anything I guess the gist of the problem is how do I setup a bunch of PC s so that they can log into both a workgroup and a domain Thanks for your time -John There are two types of Engineers - Those that make the weapons and those that make the targets nbsp

A:Integrating Domain and Workgroup

Are all of these PC's on the same LAN or are these seperate lans?

If they are the same lan then this -

Ideally, I would like the CAFE machine to be be able to logon to the domain as required (they are periodicall required by the Engineering section), and to also have a local logon that still enables file sharing between the other CAFE machines (but no domain access).

I get partial results, but nothing completly perfect. Here is a description of what I tried:
-------------------------------
I joined a workgroup on the CAFE machine, but I did get any logon options at startup (to log either locally or to the domain), just username and password.Click to expand...

Would not matter much at the last part - not getting a domain prompt matters not one bit. You log on as a local user and then if you want to connect to anything on the domain like a shar just go to run and type in \\IP\Share and you get the prompt for a username and password

So next, I added a Network ID, and joined the domain. This gave me the desired logon options (ie local or domain), but I seemed to be able to access some shared domain folders when I log on locally, which I don't want local accounts to do.Click to expand...

This part means you need to address domain security by checking the user groups the new user belongs to or tightening down the shares you don't want this new user to get to....

I would not give the casual user a domain login thats almost asking for trouble.

Ideally, I would like the CAFE machine to be be able to logon to the domain as required (they are periodicall required by the Engineering section), and to also have a local logon that still enables file sharing between the other CAFE machines (but no domain access).Click to expand...

Pesonally I would have the machine added to the domain but I would leave it default to local logon without administrator rights. This way they log on locally but anyone with a domain logon can just change from local to domain and then use their domain credentials. This also solves the problem of your antivirus as its still a domain machine with all domain use available to it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/integrating-domain-and-workgroup.398894/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hey there all..

Is there any way to set up a laptop running WinXP to log into a NT4 domain(at work) and a peer to peer workgroup(at home)?

Thanks in advance!

A:Workgroup and domain logons - XP Pro

i belive it can be done using profiles how i have not a clue but that would be where i would start at

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-and-domain-logons-xp-pro.74899/
Relevancy 61.06%

after domain to workgroup changes unable to log on windows xp pls give me a solution

A:workgroup to domain change

What error do you receive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/workgroup-to-domain-change-588598.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Major screwup!
I changed my laptop from the network Domain to a local Workgroup and now my Windows logon and password won't work.
Can anybody help me regain access to my laptop!

A:Domain/Workgroup logon

If you don't have a local account on the laptop, you'll have to reconnect it to the Domain and have a Domain Admin rejoin the laptop to the Domain.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/domain-workgroup-logon-461186.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I just got my Tablet and it rules but here is my dilemma. I use it at work as part of my domain but when I get home I want it to be part of my home workgroup with the same profile. Is there any way I can do this? Any help would be great. Thanks.

A:XP tablet Domain and Workgroup

Prpoerties of "My computer /computer name /change / add your workgroup name here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-tablet-domain-and-workgroup.123899/
Relevancy 61.06%

I am trying to connect my work computer (which is on a domain) to my home network for printing purposes. I have the printer setup on another computer at home using a workgroup.

What I am looking to do is set my home computer, on workgroup "Home" to allow my work computer, on a domain, to print. Is this possible? I know I can go physically connect the work computer to the printer, but I would like to spend as little time as possible in the kids area.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-workgroup-printing.870494/
Relevancy 61.06%

Need help please We ve got a single Domain Windows server in our office which a number of employees access from Laptops with Windows Pro We recently opened a branch office which these employees are now working out of half the time There is a PC in the branch office with a printer for them to use over the network there There is no server at the branch office just a router so they can share interenet access and hopefully share files and the printer My problem is when they log on to their laptops at the remote office they are attempting to log onto our Domain which of course cannot be reached when they are not in the main office This is not a problem the computer still logs them on and the router works great for internet access The problem is they cannot even see the PC that is sharing the printer up there which is of course on a Workgroup not on the Domain I can solve the problem by switching the laptop off the Domain and onto the Workgoup but then I would have to get it back on the Domain next time they Domain/Workgroup Problem came down to the main office And when leaving the Domain a new user profile is created with the same username requiring tweaking to get their settings back So I quess i m looking for somehow to allow them to log onto our Domain when they are in Domain/Workgroup Problem the main office and still be able to use the Printer that is shared on the Workgroup in the remote office without constantly changing settings Seems like this would be a fairly common scenario but I m floundering here looking for a good solution Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

I changed the domain on my work laptop to Workgroup so I could print on my local LAN at home and now I can not login using my user name and password.

My laptop has a PGP total disk encryption. I can log in on the first PGP login screen. After that, Win7 login appears and I can not login using my usual name and password. Anybody know how I can get this resolved?

A:How can I login after changes from Domain to workgroup

Hello Ghost9119

Did you tried the safe mode ?? Boot into safe mode by pressing F8 on startup and reset your current password.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207244-how-can-i-login-after-changes-domain-workgroup.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I have an old laptop running Windows XP that I have been using from my previous employer The laptop was configured to use a domain access Corporate policy did not allow users to have admin rights on laptops PCs so my domain account was powerless I did get lucky one day I was at a client site and needed a new copy of Visio which my the company did not have so my manager told me to buy a copy I had to go through the IT department and get admininstrator password for -hours to install the to My and Domain Documents workgroup software Since I had that power I created another account in the Local Admin group Domain to workgroup and My Documents with full privs on the laptop After a few months I forgot the password to that account Used a utility to crack the password so I could change Domain to workgroup and My Documents the laptop from domain to workgroup to copy all of my files from the laptop to my desktop as I am getting a new PC This is where the problem starts I changed to workgroup did the reboot as mentioned by the computer When I then tried to login into the laptop with my personal domain account Domain to workgroup and My Documents I was unable I could login with my back door admin local account So I did but what I discovered was that my domain account is missing the My Documents folder How can this be Is there a way to get it back I do not see any of my files I know they are on the disk but I can not find them anywhere Any help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-to-workgroup-and-my-documents.567488/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a machine runnint NT4 that is conencted to a small hub, which needs to see a DOS machine running some type of CAD program on it. This is a workgroup called CAD.

I installed another NIC card in it, and changed it from a Workgroup to part of the local domain within the building. I can get either or to work but not both. If I make it part of a workgroupd CAD, he can see the DOS machine attached to the small hub within that office.

If I change it to be part of the business Domain within the building, it can't see the CAD workgroup.

Is there a work around?

Regards,

A:1 Machine needs to see workgroup and Domain

if you have correct tcp/ip settings, this could be the master browser issue. Actually, you don't need two NICs. or you may use browstat to troubleshoot it or check these pages for the details,

computer browserYou have a master browser issue if you have the following symptoms. 1) If you can ping a computer ... Resolutions: This is mostly like master browser issue. ...
www.chicagotech.net/browser.htm
troubleshooting computer browsing issuesResolutions: This is mostly like master browser issue. The simple solution is stopping Computer Browser service on the XP. To stop Computer Browser service, ...
www.chicagotech.net/computerbrowsingissues.htm
troubleshooting browser issuesTo disable master browser on W2K/XP, go to Administrative Tools>Services, ... The master browser of a domain is always the primary domain controller. ...
www.chicagotech.net/troubleshootingbrowser.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/1-machine-needs-to-see-workgroup-and-domain.378035/
Relevancy 61.06%

My friend has a small business and his server crashed. He wants to get along without it, and change to a workgroup set up.
I'm not all that familiar with domains, and I'd like to get this done without breaking anything.
I know how to change the name and set up a Workgroup, but I want to be sure I can log on afterward, as this guy has lost control of his passwords and user IDs over time. We do have a working logon at the moment.
What's the best way to proceed?
Interestingly, this business is trying to run without any backup at all, with some PCs that have no virus protection, and no on-site expertise in computers at all. No one knows how to burn a CD or troubleshoot even the most trivial problem. How common is this situation?

Relevancy 61.06%

Howdy,

The school I work for was given some computers that have Windows XP on them.

1. I need to change them all from domain to individual users(I think that's what it's called).
2. I need a student and an administrator log on. I have been able to fix a few of the computers that were not on domain but these are SUPER tricky and don't know where to start.
3. I also need to fix the computers so students are not able to change the settings on the computer or so the pc would go back to the administrator settings each time it starts up.

I don't know how to do any of this... I'm not very techy but was given this job to do! Can anyone help? Thanks so much!

A:Domain and Workgroup Problems

If you have the XP CD and key codes for each machine, I would do a clean rebuild and get rid of anything that may have been added or done by the earlier owners.

Will these be connected to a network to access the internet, if not how will they access the internet?

As for item 3, you really need a third party program like "DeepFreeze".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-and-workgroup-problems.1002537/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello is it possible to add my win2000 computer to a domain AND a workgroup?

A:connect Domain and Workgroup?

No, as you can see in the system properties the computer can be a member of one or the other but not both.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/connect-domain-and-workgroup/66305.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi, i just switch my windows 7 notebook to member of domain in my company domain network. But, my account change to limited because i just have limited account on my company network. Before, i was create 2 account with administrators group before change to domain. My question is: how i get back to workgroup? Because my account change to limited. And i can't login to local.

Thanks for any help.

A:How to back to Workgroup (from Domain)

Problem solved. I don't know why, but today i can login to local again then switch back to workgroup again. Thank you

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207267-how-back-workgroup-domain.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I need to connect to my work domain for various things, but at home I have a workgroup with shared printers etc. There is another workgroup with shared I need at another office.

How can I configure my XPSP2 laptop to connect to domains and workgroups without continually reinputting the settings and rebooting?

A:Connect to Domain & Workgroup?

you might try to create a LAN connection for each one you need then just right click and connect or right click and disconnect as you need to.
good luck.
P.S. for the domain you have to go to sys properties and change from a domain connection to a workgroup connection

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connect-to-domain-workgroup.573344/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi folks Great site I have a Dell laptop provided to me from work I have full admin rights on this laptop When I connect this in work I can login to one (XP Pro) workgroup between Moving and domain of three domains or log in to the computer itself Moving between domain and workgroup (XP Pro) using a local account When I bring this laptop home I want to be able to join a local workgroup that has been setup some of the machines are running XP home to share files When I got home one evening I removed the computer from the work domain and added it to the workgroup I logged back on and using the local account was able to access the home network workgroup Upon bringing the lappie to work the next day I found I then could not add it back to the domain and needed a domain admin to get the computer set back up What is the best way of managing this Can the laptop function in the domains in work and in a workgroup when I bring it home How can this be achieved I have done some reading about user profiles but don't wish to experiment with a process that may end up removing the domains list when I login Any help much appreciated Regards David

A:Moving between domain and workgroup (XP Pro)

By being the local admin, you can access shared files in other workgroups by browsing the entire network in explorer. You do not need to take the computer off the domain and join it to the workgroup. You can access the workgroup shares using the workgroup credentials.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/moving-between-domain-and-workgroup-xp-pro-140060.html
Relevancy 61.06%

A friend of mine changed the domain name on his computer to a workgroup and entered a username and password when prompted. He then rebooted his computer but now he can't log in w/ the credentials he setup. He is typing everything correctly. Is there a way to change this or set a username/password without having access to login?

Thanks

A:Workgroup/Domain problem

They now need to login in with a local user account and password rather than the domain user account (which is no longer valid).

Hopefully you know one or at least the administrator's password.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-domain-problem.320512/
Relevancy 61.06%

Once you have installed W2K as a workgroup, is there a way to join a domain? If yes, how?

A:going from workgroup to domain after install

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open System in Control Panel.
On the Computer Name tab, click Change.
Under Member of, click Domain, type the name of the domain you want to join, and then click OK.
You will be prompted to provide a user name and user password to join the computer to the domain.

Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.
You will be prompted to restart your computer to apply your changes.

Notes

To open System, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/going-from-workgroup-to-domain-after-install.280144/
Relevancy 61.06%

I just brought my computer (running xp pro) home from college, where it has been connected to a domain for the past 4 years. Now I have it connected to my cable modem and I'd like to remove my user account from the domain so I no longer need to type in my password when the computer is booting up. The computer is functioning just fine, but I'd prefer not to be bothered with typing in my password every time I turn my computer on. I've tried a few different methods of changing the domain setting on my account, but I've had no luck.

Thanks for your help!

-Dan

A:Change from Domain to Workgroup

You will need to create a new user under the group name and I recommend you enable the Welcome screen.

To turn the Welcome screen on or off
You must have a computer administrator account on a computer that is a member of a workgroup or is a stand-alone computer to turn on or turn off the Use the Welcome screen feature. Logging on at the Welcome screen is not available on computers that are members of a network domain.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Click Change the way users log on or off.
Do one of the following:
To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box.
A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.
The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.

Notes:
To open User Accounts, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
Fast User Switching is available only when the Welcome screen is turned on. For more information, click Related Topics.

Happy Holidays.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-from-domain-to-workgroup.109669/
Relevancy 61.06%

How would one figure out if a group of computers connected to a LAN had either a Domain or Workgroup network configuration? Thanks for answers.

Relevancy 61.06%

Hello,
I've got a machine with windows server 2003 running on it and I'm playing around with Acive Directory, basically I'm trying to get comfortable with the new OS. I have a little network of 3 PC's including the server. The other two machines were previously setup to be in the same workgroup. Now I want them to move towards a domain network with the server. How do I get rid of the work group set up and move towards domain. Also when I try to ping the server I don't get a response anyone have any ideas why? Thanks for all the help everyone!

Relevancy 61.06%

Hi

I am using win xp prof sp2 in workgroup and in my organisation i implemented domain gateway for workgroup is 192.168.1.1 and for domain is also 192.168.1.1 so both are in same network but i am unable to ping domain ip or from domain workgroup ip

please suggest me

thanks and regards

A:communication between workgroup and domain

If you're sure that all computers are in the same IP subnet (subnet masks are all the same, and all the bits up to the end of the subnet mask match) then the next place to look is Windows Firewall. For a quick fix you can just shut it off on both machines and give it a whirl, and then if it works, turn them back on and add ICMP exceptions.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/communication-between-workgroup-and-domain-476982.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I was going to take my Suface 2 with Windows 8 out of my office domain and just use it independently of the domain. I changed to a workgroup name and now I cannot log in. I am using the same password I was using before the change to the workgroup, but Windows 8 tells me that the password is incorrect. I had to supply administrator credentials to effect the change from domain to workgroup, which I did. I have also tried the administrator password, but to no avail. Any thoughts on why I cannot log in?

Relevancy 61.06%

Hey all I tried to find an answer to the problem myself but I haven t found a good solution I m sure this is an easy fix I have a laptop that is setup on my office LAN domain with sync folders net drives etc At home I have a small workgroup with a bunch of shared resources on other pcs in my workgroup ie printers shared drives etc Because I am setup on the domain when i take my laptop home I am unable to browse my home workgroup to Domain-Workgroup Sharing get to these resources Domain-Workgroup Sharing I don t want to change my pc from DOMAIN to WORKGROUP through Windows I m afraid of screwing up my domain login settings there are several logon scripts running when i sign in at my office and my local admin will probably be pissed off if he has to set this thing up again if mess it up I would think there is some kind of quot profile quot or something to Domain-Workgroup Sharing setup to make the switch between the networks but i have found no relevent info on the web Any ideas I am currently running WinXP Pro Sp Thanks guys nbsp

A:Domain-Workgroup Sharing

i give, I never get an answer to anything on this site.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-workgroup-sharing.637475/
Relevancy 61.06%

When migrating a XP workgroup to W2K domain what are the specific steps required to insure that users Links, Internet favorite, email folders and accounts and desktop links and folders are available to the user once the system is joined to a domain and the user logs onto the domain?
TIA- Mark

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/migrate-from-xp-workgroup-to-w2k-domain.364770/
Relevancy 61.06%

Here is the story, I got a laptop from my college and to use it I have to use my student number and password. Well its the weekend now and I wanted to do some file sharing between my desktop computer and my laptop and so on my laptop I changed it from using a domain to a workgroup, it asked me to restart the computer and so I did. When it came back to me having to log in I entered my student id and pass but now its saying that I have chosen the wrong domain name. Now I can't log in or do anything, i've tried to start it in safe mode but it still makes me log in first. Is there any way I can change it back to a domain instead of a workgroup?

A:changing from domain to workgroup

Welcome necrophilms, Check out this link, it should have all the info you need. Stay away from your domain and just setup a new work group.

http://forums.techguy.org/t314754.html

Prospect

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-from-domain-to-workgroup.497863/
Relevancy 61.06%

My laptop is currently set up for my network domain at work. I have just installed a wireless network at home -- a workgroup -- and want to be able to share files from my laptop when I get home.

When I try to set up a workgroup on the laptop, I'm told by Windows that this can't be done on a domain computer. Is there any way to use my work laptop as part of my home network? Again, my primary goal is sharing files.

I would have thought that there were many people in my situation, wanting to use a work laptop with their home network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm over my head here.

Tom Whedbee

A:Add workgroup to domain computer

Some people have suggested using the domain name as the workgroup name on the other computers. But I don't know if this actually works.

Workgroups are handy, but the only thing they really do, using XP terminology, is let you use "My Network Places" and 'view workgroup computers.'

You can view the shares on another computer (on the same network) with

Start - Run - \\otherPC - OK

where "otherPC" is the Computer Name or the IP address of the other computer. IP address always works (assuming file sharing on the other computer and no firewall blocking) and Computer Name usually works.

Many work laptops are configured with firewalls and security policies that prevent them from being accessed by other computers. But you can still use the work PC to access your other computers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/add-workgroup-to-domain-computer.636754/
Relevancy 60.63%

All,

I currently have a workgroup set up with a server (running Server 2008) and 4 identical (literally) computers. Each computer has certain shared files. There is no problem seeing or accessing the files on these computers.

I am trying to add a fifth computer to the workgroup. I have added the new computer and can see the other 4 computers. However, every time I try to access any of the other 4 computers on the workgroup, I am asked for my network username and password. It doesn't matter what I put for the username and password - nothing works. It continues to say "Logon failure: unknown username or bad password".

Any assistance to get around this issue would be appreciated.

A:Accessing Workgroup Computer Shared Files

Are the time/date settings set correctly on this new machine? You might want to check the bios clock on the new machine as well.

Does this machine have it's own PC name which is different than the other machines in your LAN?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/268422-accessing-workgroup-computer-shared-files.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I changed my computer from a domain to a workgroup. It warned me that I had to have administrator proveleges and logon password. before proceeding I verified that and when i made the change it inquired for username and password and accepted it. It welcomed me to the workgroup and said the computer had to be restarted. I restarted and now can not logon!!

A:Cant logon after change Domain to Workgroup

You'll probably have to ask your IT department to rejoin the computer to the domain. And they should know the proper way to change from domain to workgroup.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-logon-after-change-domain-to-workgroup.1139398/
Relevancy 60.63%

here is the situation:

I made a rookie mistake and accident changed my work comp from a domain computer to a workgroup comp. I wa snot able to log in locally since i did not have a username or password. I used boot disk tool to reset the local admin password.

Here is my question: Since i am not the admin of the domain (work it dept is), what will they need to do in order to fix my issue. How is the computer fixed? Do they need physical access to the comp or could they remote in based on the ip address the dhcp server assigns when i log in to the local via admin account? Is my account profile still sitting some where and can be retireved when the domain is switch back?

Please educate me as i am not the best with network administration (obviously)

A:domain to workgroup mistake..need some info

When I was working tech support at a big company and someone removed themselves from the work domain..they would get whipped....j/k

What would happen was that they would need to come into the office, connect there system to the network. Then we would look up the computer/laptop machine name admin password and log them in local to the machine.

Then we would change from Workgroup to Domain and connect them to the right domain. Then have them log off as local and login to the network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/domain-to-workgroup-mistake-need-some-info.584136/
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a customer who is moving off a domain to a workgroup. Is there a easier way to move there domain profile over to the local profile? I have already started creating the local profiles but would like to avoid moving data and reconfiguring there pop email in outlook and mapped drives. Thanks in advance.

A:Moving users from domain to workgroup

Google Data

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608250/moving-users-from-domain-to-workgroup/
Relevancy 60.63%

hi
I have encountered a problem with a Windows XP computer that the both option from joining to a Domain or WorkGroup button are disabled when I tried to joine a Workgroup on our peer-to-peer network. Is there anyone who can give idea about enabling them again. Can you also please let me know how these option can be disabled as well. Thanking you for your help and time solve it.

A:enable Domain and WorkGroup Option

Are you logged in on an account with admin rights ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/enable-domain-and-workgroup-option.760158/
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a customer with a machine running Server 2003 but it is only a member of Workgroup, there is no domain. None of the existing PC's are members of any domain, they are all just members of a workgroup. None of the existing PC's have
any passwords. The Administrator Password on the server is blank.
They have a new PC (Win7) and I can't for the life of me get the new PC access to the shared folder. Any ideas? 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/968eb1e0-49ff-4dd1-8f54-75e438f71b32/server-2003-in-a-workgroup-and-not-a-domain?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a W2K server that is setup as a Domain Controller with active directory. I want to get rid of the domain and simply join a workgroup and share some folders off of it drive. What is the best way of doing this? do I need to run dcpromo?

thanks,

Relevancy 60.63%

xp client within workgroup can't see win 2003 domain within active directory. How can I make the domain viewable while still in the workgroup?

A:xp client in workgroup can't see w2000 domain

Well the whole point of a domain is to ensure that computers and users are authorized to use its resources. That's not going to happen if the computer doesn't join the domain and the user logs on as a member of that domain. It wouldn't be very secure otherwise, would it?

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-2000/xp-client-in-workgroup-cant-see-w2000-domain/66107.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello TSG,
Question.... I friends father has a lab with 5 pc's and a server. Server is Win2K... It have given him many problems. What I will be doing is changing the domain back to workgroup and pulling the server off (Think he is taking it home). No need for a domain in you only have 5 PC's. He agree's. My question is. What whill happen to the user accounts on the PC's ? Each pc has about 2 to 5 user accounts on them . Thanks for you time