Windows Support Forum

Can you get DHCP info from the modem software even when the DHCP server is down

Q: Can you get DHCP info from the modem software even when the DHCP server is down

I need the IP address ,DNS and gateway address so on .Is it possibile to get it from the modems DHCP or do I need the ISP DHCP working?

I'm setting up are home network and getting connected to the internet but the internet connection is down .But is it possibile that I can get this from the modem. .

Like how does the computer talk to the modem and the modem talk to the DHCP server .I never had this problem before.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can you get DHCP info from the modem software even when the DHCP server is down

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Can you get DHCP info from the modem software even when the DHCP server is down

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-you-get-dhcp-info-from-the-modem-software-even-when-the-dhcp-server-is-down.969436/
Relevancy 81.22%

I m running a simple network at DHCP server Solved: cannot IP addr but from ping DHCP Getting home with a Linksys BEFSR router I have two computers hooked Solved: Getting IP addr from DHCP but cannot ping DHCP server up wired and a wireless router acting like an access point that I use for my laptop occasionally Until this weekend I ve been having no problems but I shut down the computers due to weather and now one of them is not able to communicate with any others on the network The problem computer will get an address supplied to it by the router DHCP server but once it has it I cannot get any other connectivity Of course this is hindering internet access on this computer I can ping the loopback and assigned IP addresses w o problems but when I ping the default gateway router and or the other computer I get quot Request timed out quot I initially thought it was the NIC so I bought another one but still get the same issue I ve moved the cards to different PCI slots but no luck I tested the cable running from the computer and the router but found no problems I even tried resetting the TCP IP stack but still didn t work The computer in question is running WinXP SP with the original NIC being a Linksys LNE TX and the new one being a D-Link DFE- TX Any clues on this If more info is needed let me know--it s been a while since I ve posted Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 110.94%

I am trying to set up a DHCP server, I need to know what other services are required along with DHCP example: WINS, DNS, ,etc.. Also what protocols to install besides TCP/IP. I tried NetBEUI and was able to log into the server with my laptop and a crossover cable, but when I use only TCP/IP it says there is no domain to verify my log in. But when I was able to log in the IP address was the same on every login, it was something like 169.???.???.???. Also when connecting a hub do I need to have some kind of serial connection from the hub to the server or just patch cables from the hub to the NIC cards. Thanks for the help.

(Message from Reuel: Just cleaning up the ALL CAPS off)
[This message has been edited by Reuel Miller (edited 08-21-2000).]

A:{Advice Offered} - DHCP server & Hub info

I see Reuel hasn't gotten to this yet, so I'll give it a shot...
With my DHCP Server (PDC), I've got it with WINS, pulling the info from another site. Put WINS on there so you can resolve the computer names from the IP's...That way the only protocol you need is TCP/IP. If you're not getting your WINS info from somewhere else, you'll need to set up your lmhosts file. Put those settings on your server, add the new computer to your domain, then log on. If you've still got that 169.xxx.xxx.xxx do an ipconfig /release, then /renew from the command prompt, and I suppose that should be that.
As far as the connecting with the hub, I believe you can just run the patch cables from the NICs to it, if there is a switch for "normal" on the hub, go to that, not "uplink". Then again, I could just be talking out of my arse here.
But I honestly think the best thing to do is to try whatever Reuel has to offer...He's the man, in case you didn't know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-dhcp-server-hub-info.29030/
Relevancy 110.51%

My WinXP Home PC won't connect properly (limited connectivity/no internet) via ethernet cable to my router (Belkin N150).

Ipconfig /all shows the IP address as 169.254.117.71 but this is determined by an entry in the registry at HLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{39A...} > 'DhcpIPAddress' - REG_SZ - 169.254.117.71. Also listed at 'IPAutoconfigurationAddress'. My laptop connects fine plugged into the same port getting it's IP automatically (192.168.2.2) and getting internet fine.

After much searching I can't figure out what's wrong.

I've tried adding a DWORD entry 'IPAutoconfigurationEnabled' = 0, also tried deleting the 2 values.
Tried setting the IP manually to 192.168.2.6 - limited connectivity goes away but I get no internet connection from the router nor file sharing.

Any help please?

Relevancy 108.36%

Dealing with a Motorola cable modem here - how can I find out if its a DHCP server also?

Relevancy 107.07%

Hi all, 

This is more a networking post. However running windows 10 and some common modem insight might help me. 

I have had 2 IP Webcam both I have not managed to get working. My best guess so far is I need to enable IP Address distrubution DHCP Server. I hope someone can help me please. 

System Info
Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview : Build 10162
System Type : 64-nit Operating System, x64-based processor
Processor Intel® Pentium 2.16 GHz
Installed memory ( RAM ) : 8.00GB

Security: Avast Professional, Superantispyware Pro, Reason Core Security, Malware Bytes Anti Exploit Premium

Firewall: Glasswire

Modem MP264

Software Version : 4.2.2P_p0108_build_05

WEBCAM

Office One (Outdoor Wireless IP Camera) Model SC10IP

Thanks !!

A:MODEM DHCP SERVER _ Turn on IP Add. Dist ( Windows 10 )

Although I have not tried Win 10 or Edge (the win 10 browser) Other people with problems with their IP cameras needed to enable Active X controls (probably not signed)  This may be a huge security risk unless this is a private network.  This would be my GUESS but is something to look into.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581735/modem-dhcp-server-turn-on-ip-add-dist-windows-10/
Relevancy 95.03%

Greetings while renew to Ignoring ACK DHCP Windows DHCP 8.1 attempting Lease. nbsp I have several Windows 8.1 Ignoring DHCP ACK while attempting to renew DHCP Lease. windows machines connected to a private network nbsp The clients all obtain their first DHCP leases correctly and work well for a time At some point after having been running for awhile they get into a state where they start ignoring the DHCP ACK messages from the DHCP server when they attempt to renew their leases see attached pcap file nbsp They go on ignoring the responses to their DHCP Requests until they lose their IP addresses and then send a DHCP Discover and receive a DHCP Offer nbsp At this point they seem to accept their new address and move on until it is time to renew again at which point they start ignoring their DHCP ACKs again and the cycle continues nbsp These machines will work for hours with no problems whatsoever but they all seem to experience this issue at some point every day nbsp When they get into the state where they are ignoring their DHCP acks they will stay that way until they are rebooted nbsp Disabling and then re-enabling the adapter does not seem to fix the issue nbsp Does anyone have any idea what could be going on nbsp I'm pretty stumped at this point Thank you nbsp Jason

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5ca65935-259b-43d4-b778-dbf5654c4ca9/windows-81-ignoring-dhcp-ack-while-attempting-to-renew-dhcp-lease?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi,
My old hard disk was dead so bought a new hard disk drive of 500gb, when i tried to install windows xp on the new hard disk the cd didn't boot as it used to do first, it gives out an error during boot "PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxy DHCP offers were received please enter bootable device and press any key". Thanks in advance.

A:PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxy DHCP offers were received

Any message such as this referencing 'PXE" are likely indications that you need to adjust the boot device settings in the BIOS.  The message indicates that the system is currently trying to boot via network, rather than boot to an optical drive or a hard drive.

If you want to boot from a CD to install XP, then the first boot option in the BIOS must be changed to an optical drive.

If you want to boot from the hard drive, then the first boot device should be changed to reflect the hard drive as the first option.

What makes you think that your old hard drive was dead?

These PXE errors are often the result of the fact that the CMOS battery is dying or is dead and needs to be replaced.  Since this is a vital but cheap item easily obtained, this is not a serious problem.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/485464/pxe-e51-no-dhcp-or-proxy-dhcp-offers-were-received/
Relevancy 92.45%

Okay I got a new client a few weeks ago What a mess from non-DHCP a router? Solved: DHCP coming anyway they had bought a new Dell with SBS K on it and for some reason they have a wired firewall Linksys a wireless router Linksys and a small switch After examining the setup of the network I found the Solved: DHCP coming from a non-DHCP router? wireless router giving out IP addresses in the X range the SBS being what it is was going to be the DNS DHCP DC on and on etc I turned off the DHCP on the wireless router Yesterday they called and had a machine that I wasn t aware of that couldn t connect it s a proprietary machine for X-Rays and all I could do was really look at it and do a few things like change the IP if needed but it s set to DHCP and it s getting X addressing when umm it can t be I did ipconfig release then renew nothing still the old address with as the DCHP and gateway I statically set it to the X settings and nothing can t ping in or out or see the network I set it back to DCHP reboot and it still gets X address but there is no DHCP server serving up these address so ummm anyone Oh the X-Ray comp is plugged directly into the firewall now wich is on the X network on the inside nbsp

Relevancy 88.58%

I have bridged a builtin nic and a wireless internet connection in windows networking. (select both connections and , rightclick and select bridge)

I put a cable in my nic and it then connects to my laptop for surfing.

The laptop surfs fine.

I now need this connection for a device, but when I plug the cable into the device it is not able to get the dhcp server information , so it wont work.

How can I get this bridged internet connection to pass on the dhcp server information to the device?

So far I have to plug the cable into my router , and then the device gets the dhcp and works but this is a big mess in my room so I need to do it the other way.

What are the solutions?

A:Bridging a Wireless connection to a nic in same computer and dhcp info

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jones

I have bridged a builtin nic and a wireless internet connection in windows networking. (select both connections and , rightclick and select bridge)

I put a cable in my nic and it then connects to my laptop for surfing.

The laptop surfs fine.

I now need this connection for a device, but when I plug the cable into the device it is not able to get the dhcp server information , so it wont work.

How can I get this bridged internet connection to pass on the dhcp server information to the device?

So far I have to plug the cable into my router , and then the device gets the dhcp and works but this is a big mess in my room so I need to do it the other way.

What are the solutions?

This seems like it would be a simple answer from a techie.. The network cable is passing the world wide web,(google .etc.) but is not passing the dns server information.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/bridging-a-wireless-connection-to-a-nic-in-same-computer-and-dhcp-info-502254.html
Relevancy 88.15%

IP Network: Dhcp server works fine. (CISCO ROUTER)

Windows 200o servers, Windows 2000 clients (up to dated, sp4, rollup1 etc) IS6sp1

Some pc's with IP dhcp , works ok
Some pc's with fixed IP, works ok

After changing fixed IP on a client to dhcp-IP, the client can not find the DHCP server.
change back to fixed IP, PC works fine again.

DHP server and other DHCP clients still working fine

Local Area connection status: only outgoing packets, no incoming.

reboot, or ipconfig /renew no solutions

Does someone know this problem ?
Pieter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-dhcp-server-found-after-using-fixed-ip-windows-2000-dhpc-server-works-fine.538322/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi I have a Verizon Actiontec GT -WG modem wireless router I have a desktop and a sony PSP the PSP will get online and get assigned a proper IP address however the desktop that is wired straight into the modem will only get a address I don t know why I ve assigned the desktop a static IP copying over the subnet Solved: not router/modem PC getting DHCP from and gateway from the sony PSP which can get online fine wirelessly and the desktop can ping the modem router as well as the PSP but cannot connect to or the internet What the heck is goin on Is Solved: PC not getting DHCP from router/modem the router s DHCP server not working or what I ve tried everything else uninstalling the NIC reinstalling switching cables but I figure its seeing something if its got a address I uninstalled the verizon software that came with it including the firewall and stuff went into the router on the PSP and checked it out seems to be ok any ideas thanks Solved: PC not getting DHCP from router/modem guys nbsp

Relevancy 88.15%

ok im running win 2k with roadrunner cable internet...i have an external modem and a router...i need to know how to find my netmask default router address and primary and secondary dns addresses. thanks in advance.

Relevancy 88.15%

I visited someone s house yesterday to take a look at their computer originally complaining that it was acting very slow The PC was bloated with a massive amount of AOL software Now they get their broad band service from SBC DSL now AT amp T I guess But they made it sound as if they are also paying about modem DHCP config... Odd behavior/DSL bucks a month for AOL services as well even though this person only uses it for e-mail It s an elderly couple who don t really use the internet at all I m not Odd DHCP behavior/DSL modem config... very familiar with AOL but you can keep an AOL e-mail only account with them right For Odd DHCP behavior/DSL modem config... like bucks a month Anyway I removed all of the AOL software because of the following behavior which didn t change Up opening IE nothing would display So I went to the command prompt and did an ipconfig I can t say exactly what the IP address was but I can say that it had configured the PC with a Class A address like but with a bit subnet mask The default gateway address was one bit MORE than the IP address in this example it would be When I ping the IP address of the PC I would get a reply If I pinged the gateway no response BUT if I ping one less that the IP address two less than the gateway such as I would get a reply One thing I tried to do was manually configure it static addressing leaving the IP address of the PC the same but making the gateway the address that I actually got a reply from This still did not gain access to the internet Another thing I did was shut the modem and PC off wait turn the modem on and then the PC The IP address would change but the same odd addressing the gateway being a higher address than the PC would still occur Same with the pinging issue Also the IP config would not show a DNS number ever I m going back to their house tomorrow to take another look at try the following I m going to uninstall all unnecessary software such as all the SBC software go through the registry and clean out all remaining entries that refer to either AOL or SBC as well as little games that the grandkids have installed on there Any other advice would be great for this issue The last thing I want to do is reinstall the OS nbsp

Relevancy 87.29%

Right now I have my server connected to a router and the router does the dhcp for me. I am thinking of putting a second nic in the server and using it for dhcp. If I have computers in the house that are not a part of my domain will I still be able to get online with them if they are connected to my switch? I guess to paraphrase myself I am asking can you use a server to route and not have everyone connected to the server in your domain?

A:Server DHCP or No

I'm not sure what DHCP has to do with routing... Are you trying to break your network into subnets?

You wouldn't need a second NIC to move DHCP to your server. If you want to move DHCP from your router to your server, just set up a new DHCP scope on the server and that's all that's required. Clients do not have to be part of the domain to get an address from a DHCP server.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-dhcp-or-no.535307/
Relevancy 87.29%

I had to reinstall windows2000. When I went to load Road Runner it can't release/renew an IP address. The modem is fine. The router is fine. The other computer in my house sees the internet but my does not. Can someone give me some idea on what to do? Thanks.
Debbie

Relevancy 87.29%

running winxphomesp on abit kt - with intel pro V onboard networking working fine then suddenly this morning while browsing no downloads no installs systray icon shows yellow and loses connection router is linksys wrt g default gateway ip num changed to ipconfig release clears ip ipconfig renew fails due to timeout no other comps online affected ip config release then boot reverts to x x x uninstall network device and boot windows new device found wizard opens locates identifies installs driver tcp ip auto configured to get ip auto get dns auto dhcp enabled renew ip fails timeout ip defaults to again connect pc Server Can't DHCP get IP from directly to cable modem reset cable modem and boot computer no effect nic shows enabled and working normally but no connectiivity to lan or internet any ideas what why how happens what to do to repair what to do to avoid repeat do i have to get a pci nic and disable this one in bios nbsp

A:Can't get IP from DHCP Server

run this command in the command prompt tool

ping localhost

and post results

thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-get-ip-from-dhcp-server.626187/
Relevancy 87.29%

Not getting IP from Dhcp server.
Checked in Dhcp Error Showing BAD Address.
IP 20-25 % IPs are showing free..

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6f3ba9e9-bdcb-449f-8463-188efbe0f782/not-getting-ip-from-dhcp-server?forum=netmon
Relevancy 87.29%

Here is my current configuration:

We have 7MB/768K DSL Business dynamic IP connection.
Anywhere from 10-20 simultaneous users.
One Cisco 30 port switch feeding into one Linksys wireless router to provide local IP addresses to all the users for the one IP address to the world.

It seems to me we have a huge bottleneck at the wireless router but we need it for the DHCP server in that router.

Are there any low cost solutions that would provide faster performance for the users?

A:DHCP Server (Do I need one?)

Hi skibizkit, and welcome to TSG.

skibizkit said:

... provide local IP addresses to all the users for the one IP address to the world.

It seems to me we have a huge bottleneck at the wireless router but we need it for the DHCP server in that router.Click to expand...

Sharing a single Public (world) IP address with multiple Private (local) IP addresses will require some type of router that supports NAT (Network Address Translation). Running a DHCP server on the router should only add a small amount of local bandwidth usage when a computer first connects to the router and gets assigned its private IP address by the DHCP server. The DHCP server is then out of the picture until another computer comes on line or the DHCP lease time (could be up several days) expires for each computer.

Is the speed bottleneck related to accessing the Internet through the DSL connection or exchanging data between computers (and servers) on the same local network?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dhcp-server-do-i-need-one.595287/
Relevancy 87.29%

I'm using a DHCP running on Windows 2k3 server. What could be the problem if every time someone using his cellphone connects to the network, the internet connection automatically drops....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dhcp-server.974342/
Relevancy 86.86%

A friend of mine asked me for some help connecting his new cable modem & router to his server. Here is his e-mail to me,

So we got this cable modem and router installed for internet access and the
dudes who installed it were able to get the server (or his laptop)
connected, but not any of the workstations, When he changed the server
settings to enable it to connect to the internet, none of the workstations
could then even connect to the server.
THe guy claimed that the issue is that we are running DCHP with dynamic
addressing and if we simply (hah!) changed to a 10.1 static IP addressing
system then all would be fine!
Does this make any sense to you?

Some things you will need to know, the server is NT4.0 with sp6. The workstations, about 50, are a combo of 95/98 machines. All connecting using DHCP as previously stated.

A:{Advice Offered} - Cable Modem with DHCP?

Well, generally speaking, you need to set the Gateway on the workstations to the IP address of the Router.

Assuming the router can't do you DHCP for you. If it can, that would be best - just let it assign your IP, Gateway, and DNS across the network.

What kind of router is it? Most of them support this. Obviously you would need to turn off DHCP on your server for this, but you don't need two DHCP servers, do you?

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/advice-offered-cable-modem-with-dhcp.29552/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello,

I have a Speedstream 5100 modem and I think the problem i am having is that the Dhcp is not enabled. I recently move my modem, if that makes a difference and it suddenly would not connect. If anyone could help me with this problem or help me figure out what my problem is that would be great.

A:DHCP Enabled Speedstream 5100 modem

neilson22 said:

Hello,

I have a Speedstream 5100 modem and I think the problem i am having is that the Dhcp is not enabled. I recently move my modem, if that makes a difference and it suddenly would not connect. If anyone could help me with this problem or help me figure out what my problem is that would be great.Click to expand...

What do you mean "recently moved my modem"?

Two questions
1) Did you change ISPs?
2) Has the hardware connected to your modem changed (e.g. did you add a router between your computer and the modem?) as the modem "sees" the MAC address of the first device connected to it. And sometimes won't connect to any other device with a different MAC address

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dhcp-enabled-speedstream-5100-modem.127515/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi We have a Local Area Network at work DHCP NAT Server Router behind a and DHCP Server behind a NAT Router on this network DHCP Server behind a NAT Router we have a VM Server with Windows Server R that we plan on using for Active Directory and this server also has DHCP and DNS Server configured on it is the Server IP NAT is not configured on the server but is configured on the router From this Network I have my own private address range - which connects to my NAT Router I am able to get an ip address of from the DHCP Server for my XP Client interface vlan ip address ip nat outside no shutdown Next I setup a second interface on my NAT Router Interface Vlan ip address ip nat inside ip helper address no shutdown I set up the range on the same DHCP Server When I connect my Windows XP Client to Interface Vlan I am unable to get a DHCP address on this client but on the server it says that it received an ip address DHCP Server address ip address netmask Gateway DHCP Server Setup Vlan ip range - Gateway DHCP Options Router DNS Server DNS Domain Name SQA com WINS NBNS WINS NBT Node Type x Any Ideas on how to fix this so I can get a DHCP address on Interface Vlan I am assuming it is a configuration issue Thanks Scott nbsp

A:DHCP Server behind a NAT Router

it's actually a routing issue; if you can add proper routing from the router to the server,
it will all work.

HOWEVER, it would be far easier to just place all systems in the same subnet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dhcp-server-behind-a-nat-router.126098/
Relevancy 86.43%

I have a vista home premium laptop I have been trying to connect to the internet using wifi. I have an xp desktop that connects quickly. My laptop says there is no response to the dhcp server. Can you help me fix this?

A:DHCP server no responce

Hi -

Let's see what your system can tell us about the wifi situation. Please download the EXE file - save to Documents. RIGHT-click on EXE file, select "Run as Administrator"

http://jcgriff2.com/0x2/netsh_lan_wl..._jcgriff2_.exe

2 Notepads will open one behind the other. Save both as text files. Attach to your next post.

Also, try booting into SAFEMODE w/ Networking and try Internet connection there.

Do you have Internet Security suite installed - w/ 3rd party firewall?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dhcp-server-no-responce-493317.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I have win2003 server and my dhcp server quit giving IP's when a lease runs out. I have tried to reboot the serever and I have tried to start and stop the DHCP service to no avial. Now I have had to go to all the machines in our office and give them static IP's. Does anybody know how to fix this?

thanx

A:DHCP server not working

Any error messages in Event Viewer on the Server or Clients.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dhcp-server-not-working.752932/
Relevancy 86.43%

You may be thinking at first that this would be a typical 169.x.x.x thing, but it is far from. I've tried doing the winsock and tcp/ip fixes and nothing seems to work. There are two PC's currently on my topology, and my PC works perfectly fine. So it is apparent that the other computer has a phony DHCP server hosted locally on the other computer.

The Router: 192.168.1.1
Router's DHCP range: 192.168.1.100-49
Offending computer's IP: 192.168.16.129 !!!???

I have run the Smitfraud fix and in the log file it returns some pretty interesting entries regarding this 192.168.16.254 DHCP server. I tried deleting the offending registry keys listed in the log file, but to no avail.

Tried disabling the DHCP service, tried assigning statically, nada.

So it would appear that it has been hijacked, but i have no idea how to remedy the situation. Any ideas?

Relevancy 86.43%

Hello everyone I m new to this site and I ve searched for a topic related to my problem but couldn t find anything I had Norton Internet Security DHCP No found! server Help! installed on my computer but when I added a new hardware item to it I had to uninstall NIS and re-install it because it wouldn t work After rebooting I couldn t establish an intranet connection that did work on the comp before I managed to find out that there is Help! No DHCP server found! no default gateway on the LAN because quot no DHCP server was found quot To be honest I don t even know what this exactly means but anyway Here s what I tried so far and didn t work Restore the default winsock settings with the netsh winsock reset catalog command and with downloaded winsockfix programs too Try to renew the IP-address by right-clicking on the LAN settings Reset TCP IP stack to installation defaults with the netsh int ip reset reset log command I ve got Windows XP Sp and a D-Link DSL- T modem router with ethernet I would appreciate any help but please write it in an quot advice for dummies quot way I m quite a newbie with technical issues Thanks in advance for your help Nirit nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

I'm looking for a DHCP server similar to that installed on routers, to run on my computer. I need to manage and assign ip addresses automatically to my home network

Relevancy 86.43%

Our DHCP server has a scope of x.x.x.50 to x.x.x.150 with a few reservations added, but the reservations all fall outside that scope. It's using a /16 subnet mask so the reserved IP's on on the same subnet. The DHCP server is the one you get with Win2k3 server standard edition.

QUESTION: Are the reservations actually doing anything ?

I'm sure the answer is an obvious "NO" but I just want to hear someone else say it.

troublegum -

Relevancy 86.43%

Is it okay or dangerous to trust my wireless router?

A:Is it okay to trust the DHCP Server?

The IP address 192.168.0.1 is the default for certain home broadband routers, principally various D-Link and Netgear models. This address is set by the manufacturer at the factory, but you can change it at any time using the network router's administrative console.http://compnetworking.about.com/od/routers...168_0_1_def.htmBut also see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry999836

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/178597/is-it-okay-to-trust-the-dhcp-server/
Relevancy 86.43%

I just got Cox cable and it hasn't been working right.

I have a netgear WG602 wireless access point. I can connect to it but it has limited or no connectivity. Repairing the connection doesn't work and doesn't give me an IP.

I connected the ethernet cable directly to my laptop and it didn't work at all. I called them and it worked by directly connecting, but the wireless still didn't work.

Then I messed with wireless settings to try to connect, and I finally got online but my ip is 70.x.x.x, the apparent IP for all Cox subscribers.

But I got that 70.x.x.x through my router instead of a 192.x.x.x so I have no idea why it's doing that. It's really weird and I still can't get a dynamic IP.

Thanks for the help.

Relevancy 86.43%

Im having a issue specifically with a vm server, i can get the dhcp request from router and a ipconfig looks nice and clean , but i still cant access the internet, any ideas regarding virtual severs and dhcp?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/virtual-server-dhcp.608473/
Relevancy 86.43%

Anyone here have any experience implementing Microsofts dhcp-server-callout .dll? I'm considering using it to deny any rogue devices plugged in to my network. Here's an article about it:

http://www.petri.co.il/filter-mac-address-windows-server-2008-dhcp-server-callout-dll.htm .
Sig

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dhcp-server-callout.723335/
Relevancy 86.43%

I have reviewed - server DHCP {Resolved} the posts on DHCP but have had no luck in resolving my problem I have An NT server as PDC running DHCP The service is running NIC s in the server with static IP s {Resolved} - DHCP server and Scope with a rang gt Sub net Reserved gt I did not config any other options No Routers WINS or DNS Just trying to get DHCP working first Static IP on WIN clients work but when I select DHCP the client receives the quot No Domain server found and I get the windows xxx xxx xxx default address As a test I have an ISDN box that acts as a DHCP when I hook it up to the network the clients do receive an IP from it This box will not be on the network so I need to get DHCP running on the server Looking {Resolved} - DHCP server through the other posts I can not find any problems with the setup or config nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

Hi Geeks!
I want to backup my DHCP server. I want to make sure that if my DHCP server goes down for some reason there is a server at standby that can come and takeover as a DHCP server and start leasing the addresses.
Or if i can add an additional DHCP server.
My Current DHCP Server is Windows 2000 Professional.
Is there any way that i can create a DHCP backup server as in case of Active Directory...

Kindly let me know if anyone has any sort of solution

Relevancy 86.43%

Windows Home Premium x SP Computer Sony Vaio VPSCB FX Router Apple Airport Extreme Windows Security Essentials Windows Firewall Disabled during tests Getting FAILED no repsonse DHCP server on IntelPRO wireless test Tried ipconfig release renew Tried using Latency Optimizer and connectivity fixer PRO Tried turning everything off then turn on Modem-Router-one and one computer Nothing works Other wireless connections in the house work fine Driver is up to date Connected directly to router with ethernet cable also works fine http www speedtest net result png Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Luftwaffle gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Luftwaffle-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List getinternet no Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix getinternet no Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address F -BF- - D- - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TAP-Win Adapter V Physical Address Response Server DHCP No -FF- - -C - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address C-A - - - D- F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual No Response DHCP Server WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address C-A - - - D- F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix getinternet no Description Intel R WiFi Link BGN Physical Address C-A - - - D- E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a bc a d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Tuesday May AM Lease Expires Tuesday May PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -ED- -D - C-A - - - D- E DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address EC- -F -DD- -D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap A D F- F - FE-B -AFCDFB BABD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap getinternet no Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix getinternet no Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap DA E F- - B - - A F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap C - - F -BCD -F BB ED Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d c c ab e ab Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe c ab e ab Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap DAF - D B- E - F-EFB A E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

Modem goes to wireless g broadband router wrt54g. Then from there cable goes to desktop. I'm currently on a laptop connected to the wireless router. I've tried connecting directly from modem on the desktop and still no connection. Tried winsock and lsp fix, installing new driver, even disabled mcafee.Also tried new cable.Tried releasing and renewing. New driver or uninstalling network card did not work. Any other ideas?

A:Can't connect to DHCP server

Hold the windows key and then press "r". Type "cmd" enter, then type "ipconfig /all". what does that say?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-connect-to-dhcp-server-352555.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I use server working DHCP and not ICS a Verizon USB broadband modem attached to my Vista Home Premium desktop using ICS ICS and DHCP server not working thru a wireless network for internet access and a home network The desktop is linked to the wireless by CAT cable to a regular port on the router We can then connect my wife's XP and my Linux laptops ICS and DHCP server not working wirelessly The router has DHCP disabled and all networked machines get their ip thru ICS from the desktop This has worked well for years Suddenly I ICS and DHCP server not working get limited connectivity from my NIC and a private ip xxx xx xx I looked at the services and found the DHCP server had been stopped When I tried to restart it as a network service I got an error stating quot the account specified for this service is different from other services running in the same process quot If I change the logon to Local Service I can restart the service but it still will not give the NIC a valid ip I have tried to use the diagnose repair option from network and sharing center but it fails as well Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this

A:ICS and DHCP server not working

May or may not work but a winsock reset can be helpful in these sort of issues.

1)Click on the Start Button
2)Type "cmd" in the start search area
3)At the top of the menu you see cmd icon, right click it and left click "run as administrator".
4)DOS window, in this window type this minus the quotes " netsh winsock reset "
5)Hit enter key on your keyboard.
6)Restart the computer.
Give this a shot and see if it helps.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/180981-ics-dhcp-server-not-working.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Modem goes to wireless g broadband router wrt54g. Then from there cable goes to desktop.(desktop is xp) I'm currently on a laptop(vista) connected to the wireless router. I've tried connecting directly from modem on the desktop and still no connection. Tried winsock and lsp fix, installing new driver, even disabled mcafee.Also tried new cable.Tried releasing and renewing. Tried static ip. New driver or uninstalling network card did not work. Any other ideas?
Host name:******
Primary Dns Suffix:
Node Type:Unknown
IP Routing Enabled:No
WINS Proxy Enabled:No
Ethernet adapter Local area connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Intel(r) PRO/1000 PL Network Connection
Physical Address:00-12....
DHCP enabled:yes
Autoconfiguration enabled :yes
I.P. Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCP Server:255.255.255.255

Relevancy 86.43%

Just need to know because thats what it says on my other computer that im trying to use the router with

A:How do you contact your DHCP server?

kcplayboi_26 said:

Just need to know because thats what it says on my other computer that im trying to use the router withClick to expand...

If your PC is set to obtain an IP address automatically at boot up then it uses a DHCP broadcast system, this system sends a DHCP request via the network software through the network card and through the network cable out on to the network, if a DHCP server is available then it will reply and your PC will be given an IP address by the DHCP server,

DHCP servers can be a router, a PC running Internet Connection Sharing, or a PC running a DHCP client (such as on windows 2003 server).

If your PC cant find an DHCP server and you have it plugged into a DHCP server then either the cable is wrong or faulty, or the DHCP server is not seeing the PC.

Please post back saying what exactly you are trying to achieve.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-contact-your-dhcp-server.55720/
Relevancy 86.43%

In the DHCP Options: Scope, Active Options area I selected & added 003 Router, 006 DNS Server, 044 WINS/NBT Servers, & then a window opeded saying that I needed to add 046 WINS/NBT Node Type & to select 0x1=B node, 0x2=P node, 0x4=M node, 0x8=H node. Online help doesn't give any help with which to choose? Does anyone have an idea & what is the diference? Thanks for any help

Relevancy 86.43%

I Just set up a wireless network everything works fine, other laptops, wii... but one laptop with vista sp2 connects to router but not to internet. did the ipconfig and wireless lan DHCP enabled ethernet " " enabled. but the tunnel adapter (4 of them) are not enabled. can someone please help me? it connects fine to my brothers homes network.

A:Cannot connet to DHCP server

What firewall is the laptop in question using? Is it the Windows one or a 3rd party one?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-connet-to-dhcp-server-561068.html
Relevancy 86%

No one in networking seems to know the answer to this as no one has posted a response in a few days Warning DHCP/TCPIP + Modem Reset Cable My cable modem directly connected to computer weeks ago started randomly disconnecting for a couple days Then went back to normal until a couple of days ago Then it started the same problems I have Windows XP Pro with all updates and current drivers Here are the warnings i get in event viewer first one is listed as DHCP/TCPIP Warning + Cable Modem Reset information Information Tcpip The system detected that network adapter DEVICE TCPIP C B - A DHCP/TCPIP Warning + Cable Modem Reset - A -A D - F E C was connected to the network and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter For more information see Help and Support Center at http go microsoft com fwlink events asp Warning Dhcp Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network from the DHCP Server for the Network Card with network address DF D The following error occurred The semaphore timeout period has expired Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address DHCP server For more information see Help and Support Center at http go microsoft com fwlink events asp Warning Dhcp Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address DF D The IP address being used is For more information see Help and Support Center at http go microsoft com fwlink events asp ------------------------------------------------------------------------- The cable techie came and tested the cable signal while the connection is working fine guess they dont understand what intermittent signal means for minutes then left It is connected by ethernet cable directly into the mobo s NIC The lights are as follows Activity light goes off supposed to flash cable stays solid normal pc link is flashing normal and power is solid normal Then the modem resets and powers up again all lights go off power flashes pc link joins in flashing cable joins in flashing activity flashes a couple times then all lights go back to normal Ive already tried configuring everything statically but that didnt work Any ideas nbsp

A:DHCP/TCPIP Warning + Cable Modem Reset

Closing duplicate, please post only once for the same problem. If you get no responses, post BACK to the same thread asking for more suggestions, if you feel it would be better off in another forum, use the 'report post' button to ask it to be moved.

http://forums.techguy.org/t218519.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dhcp-tcpip-warning-cable-modem-reset.219076/
Relevancy 86%

Hi all System Info OS Version Microsoft Windows with Bing bit Processor Intel Pentium CPU N GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel HD Graphics - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Notebook KHLAP N A Antivirus Kaspersky Internet Security Updated and Enabled Modem Type MP Software Version P p build Signaling Protocol SIP Web site http www audiocodes com http www dodo com top-right-navig l- plus setup-guides dodo-go-hub-setup-guide IPWebcam Office One Outdoor Wireless IP Camera Model SC IP Problem Setting up IP Webcam on home Network Suspected area causing problem s gt Modem DHCP IP address distribution settings DHCP issues IPWebcam DHCP Modem Seetings Settings disabled gt LAN input on Modem flashing Orange This occurs if IP webcam runs into LAN with ethernet Also occurs when ethernet runs from my Laptop Windows to LAN HOWEVER Modem Settings DHCP Seetings IPWebcam issues gt LAN goes green if connect Apple Mac laptop via ethernet to LAN on Modem Some Modem Settings DHCP Seetings IPWebcam issues things I have tried Software for Webcam is installed correctly Have tried turning Kaspersky Security Modem Settings DHCP Seetings IPWebcam issues off What may need to happen I require some assistance with imputing the correct data and enabling DHCP settings in Modem Attached are some images that may assist Any help would be great As I this is nd IP Webcam I have not been able to work out how to set up lol Thanks all nbsp

A:Modem Settings DHCP Seetings IPWebcam issues

You 'modem' is already using DHCP to provide IP addresses for the devices

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-settings-dhcp-seetings-ipwebcam-issues.1146730/
Relevancy 85.57%

I am currently running Windows 2000 Professional. I assume to set up a DHCP Server, I'll need Windows 2000 Server. Is this correct?

How does one set up a DHCP Server? Are there any step-by-step resources on the 'net that are plain enough for a novice?

A:Windows 2000 - DHCP Server How-to?

Im not sure if the win2kpro has got the ability to serv as dhcp server, but setting it up on the server version is really easy.

Just use the "configure your server" tool that pops up when starting up and youll be done a few steps!

NiteNow

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-dhcp-server-how-to.62074/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi I hope the title didn t confuse IP ISP Server on w/DHCP Static from Windows you I m totally new to using Windows Server or any windows server edition but I do have a basic understand of networking Ok so here s what s going on I have a machine with Windows Server running an Exchange Static IP from ISP on Windows Server w/DHCP Server in a office with workstations attached The server is being used for a basic outlook calendar across the various workstations nothing major Our current ISP provides us with a Static IP address The party that installed and configured the server set it up to run the DHCP server on the server PC itself As in the machine running windows server is also running a software DHCP server for the entire network THE SETUP As of right now we have a wall port internet access with a cable running to a port unmanaged netgear switch that has cables hooked up to the workstations as well as the server itself Pretty simple THE QUESTION How do I configure the ISP static settings on the DHCP Server portion of the Server PC We may be getting a new ISP with a dynamic address OR a new static address WHAT I VE TRIED I ve tried configuring the IP address on the Server PC the way I would via the NIC adapter settings but it already has a internal IP address from the DHCP Server running on that PC so changing that was no good I guess what I m basically looking for is a screen like this I hope you re familiar with the configuration pages of Linksys Routers http ww justanswer com uploads Claws - - LinksysSetupScreen jpg I hope this all made sense please post back any questions if you re confused or need clarification and also please take the time to correct my usage of terms in my explanation if at all possible Thanks in advance for all your help nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Hello all long time reader first time poster First tried contact to everything!) Unable dhcp (I've server. your let me start by saying i ve spent the better part of a week navigating this and other forums and an answer to my question So here it is I recently built a new computer for my parents via newegg Got everything up and running and went to install their copy of windows xp Unable to contact your dhcp server. (I've tried everything!) home I get everything installed and all the drivers off the install cd s incuded When i sttempt to connect to the internet i get quot An error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connections unable to contact your DHCP server Request has timed out quot What i ve tried - Reboot comp and modem - Check cableing - Uninstall and Reinstall mobo network driver MOBO - http www newegg com Product Produc E - Updating the network driver via flash drive and a working computer - Winsock and netsh int ip fix - Returned mobo and replaced with same model - Removed HDD connected to a working PC installed winxp everything worked Took out the HDD installed into non-working pc Same issue as before Please help nbsp

A:Unable to contact your dhcp server. (I've tried everything!)

It would be helpful if you could tell us how you connect to the Internet. Are you on cable, DSL, dialup? We also need to know who your ISP is, what your brand and model of modem are, etc. Without more information, there isn't any way to resolve your problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-contact-your-dhcp-server-ive-tried-everything.889327/
Relevancy 85.57%

hello everyone,

help very much appreciated.

my computer can pick up the wireless [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]internet [COLOR=green !important]signal[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] but i cant get online. when i do the ipconfig /release then renew i get the error code unable to contact your DHCP server. request has timed out
I have turned everything off and then back on to no avail.
I have just returned from South Korea where I had no problem connecting to wireless.

please help

Thanks

A:unable to contact DHCP server

Try This

Disable the XP firewall and try again. If it works, set it back up but as part of a LAN.
From the command prompt, ping 127.0.0.1 and see if you get OKs back. That means your network adapter is probably Ok.
Next, run the Wireless Network Setup and see if it recognizes the network adapter and can detect your LAN. Unless you've changed your WEP/WPA passwords recently this should work.
Run a virus scan and see if you picked up a bug.

Let me know how it goes

P. Glynn

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-contact-dhcp-server.1010416/
Relevancy 85.57%

Please somebody help me to solve this question is this Possible if yes so how in detail

"
Can more than one DHCP server authorize in a network (server 2008 R2)
"

Thanks
Regard...

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/can-more-than-one-dhcp-server-authorize-in-a-network.4068814/
Relevancy 85.57%

A friend of mine gave me his laptop to reinstall him windows XP on hp compaq nx clean install after i installed windows i went to http h www hp com bizsuppor sId amp swLang amp taskId amp swEnvOID and installed all drivers under Networking section just contact unable dhcp to server... your so i can get internet on it well that didnt go as planned i mean i installed all the drivers but i m getting Limited or No connectivity conection on Local Area Network connecting it with cable cos im pretty sure this laptop has no wireless oO when i try cmd - gt ipconfig im getting x x and quot unable to contact your dhcp server quot message Would really appreciate unable to contact your dhcp server... if you could help Thanks EDIT also when i unplug the cable from the laptop and plug it in desktop computer I get Local Area Network connect and internet is working EDIT could it be that i ve installed wireless drivers on this laptopt that doesnt have wifi and that they r now interfering nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Okay Can contact DHCP not IP address. 169.254.xx.x Server, to start off I have been fighting with this issue for days now and am posting on Can not contact DHCP Server, 169.254.xx.x IP address. this forum from my work computer since the only other internet access I have is on my Blackberry The Problem I turned on my computer a few days back after a normal shutdown only to notice I had no internet connection I called my ISP Comcast and they told me that my quot ethernet card quot had gone out and that their modem was fine I went out and bought a new PCI Gigabit adapter from TRENDnet and plugged it into my motherboard and updated the drivers on my computer I tried connecting again with resetting the modem and still no connection I keep getting the error of quot Unidentified Network quot and the computer keeps trying to quot Identify quot it Since then I have spoken with Comcast on separate occasions and even had a Tech person come out to my house to look at my setup He tells me after replacing my modem and ethernet cable that my connection is fine and after connecting his laptop to my modem he receives a good IP address and can surf the net When connecting the modem back to my computer and resetting it I check my IP address and keep getting an address of xx x with a Subnet mask of and no gateway listed Both network adapters quot are working properly quot Occasionally I ll get a xx x IP address when I first reboot the system but it only stays for a matter of seconds before dropping back into the xx x My Computer I built my PC about - years ago and about year ago replaced the Motherboard with a MSI brand motherboard unsure of model at work for my AMD Quad Core Phenom processor I have GB of RAM I am running a registered BETA version of Windows and have been for almost months now with no issues Solutions I ve Tried Power cycling resetting the modem and even swapping ethernet cables I checked in the Services menu to make sure my DHCP settings were enabled I installed a new PCI Gigabit network adapter and updated the drivers from the CD-ROM given Uninstalled these later then reinstalled I scanned my computer for Malware using Spyware Doctor I disabled any Windows Firewalls and Spyware Doctor I tried quot ipconfig release quot and quot ipconfig renew quot in the CMD prompt under administrator The renew command always times out and the release command generally gives me an error message or acts as if i ve only typed quot ipconfig quot I reset the winsock catalog using quot netsh winsock reset quot in CMD I reset the TCP IP settings with quot netsh int ip reset quot in CMD I pinged my local host with a working response of ms Checked to make sure my TCP IP settings are trying to obtain an IP automatically At this point I have trolled NUMEROUS forums trying to find the answer and have run across many people with this same issue dating back to but every one is either left with no solution or it has a very specific answer to that one computer i e firewall was on or driver wasn t updated Thank you for any help anyone of you might give nbsp

A:Can not contact DHCP Server, 169.254.xx.x IP address.

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode with Networking to see if it connects that way?

What is the EXACT make/model of the modem and the router?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-not-contact-dhcp-server-169-254-xx-x-ip-address.867003/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi I am using a PC Windows XP on a home network that is otherwise dominated by Macs and it has been able to connect to the internet before but it really only works when I do a full system restore where I reinstall contacting DHCP Problems server windows and erase my HD and I d rather not want to do this again since I am tired of reinstalling all my crap Now as far as I can tell the problem with the connection lies not in that the computer does not know how to connect to the internet but rather that it doesn t know it is connected to the cable modem through a router I think Problems contacting DHCP server this because the IP address on the LAN connection is never one that all the other computers on the network have - one that starts x I have tried a couple of times to use the network wizard but it either says that there was an error configuring the network or more often than not it finishes but the internet still doesn t work Also when I try to repair the connection in the Problems contacting DHCP server connection status window it says it has a problem renewing the IP address which does not work since it has problems contacting the DHCP server I tried running quot ipconfig renew quot in cmd exe Does anyone know how to get the computer to connect to the DHCP server I hope I have given enough background on the situation if you need any more system info please ask Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Ok, I've been fighting with this old desktop PC for a few days now and I'm at my wits end.

I've been trying (in vain) to connect a USB Wireless device to be able to use it off my wireless network. I have (2) other laptops and (1) other desktop connecting to the router with no issues.

For some reason, this old desktop keeps installing an Ethernet device (probably on the MB) and is automatically Configuring the IP address to that instead of the USB wireless device.

I've tried uninstalling the Ethernet device but it comes right back after I do a reboot. Even when I disable it, I still can not connect with my Wireless device.

Here's a screen shot when I do a ipconfig /all from the CMD prompt....

Relevancy 85.57%

Hi,

I moved a Win2K machine from a domain to a workgroup which uses a Linksys cable router as its DHCP server. I'm having trouble making the machine to pick up the new DHCP server. It thinks it cannot locate the DHCP service so it keeps getting assigned the APIPA (169.254.x.x) address. BTW, back in the domain, this machine was assigned a static IP address through client reservation because it was running a service. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.

A:Help Win2K Pro to find new DHCP server

Have you changed all the domain settings so that its not still looking for the domain when it starts up? If the machine's name is part of a FQDN get rid of the extensions so that it has an "old fashioned" single name.

Also clear out all of the settings for DNS that may have been set, make them all blank in case the system is trying to find it that way.

Remove any other network protocols that are installed except TCP/IP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-win2k-pro-to-find-new-dhcp-server.90228/
Relevancy 85.57%

okey dokey. I have just set up a Windows 2003 server. I have a typical Linksys router currently maintaining DHCP. I have tried to implement the server DHCP by first turning off the routers function and then activiating the DHCP on the server. When I do this the network computers do indeed receive IP addresses but can no longer connect to the Internet. How do I alleviate this little nusiance.

Thanks...

A:Server 2003 DHCP setup

You need to add a default gateway to the DHCP on the server. This will more than likely jsut be the IP address of your router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/server-2003-dhcp-setup.376997/
Relevancy 85.57%

So I was up until three a m last night trying to figure out why my DHCP server keeps dropping my computers and losing connectivity to the web every - minutes And I am friggin stumped I am running Windows Server - legit version - and I am pretty sure I have all my DHCP scope settings correct I have remade the same scope different times tying up any loose ends and I still get the same result I am running a single fiber NIC that dumps out to my switches through a dual NIC where it meets with a port gigabit Netgear switch Then the switch goes to two routers for wireless connectivity My machine and all the other desktops laptops drop even when nothing is happening Their IP leases aren DHCP Server Clients Dropping t lost and the server swears they are connected So basically I m screwed because I can t come up with any more answers Please help if you can I would greatly appreciate DHCP Server Dropping Clients anything nbsp

A:DHCP Server Dropping Clients

Its not DHCP. If you could provide more info
Do the clients still have LAN connectivity when the internet drops?
Is there anything in the event log
Can you still get to the internet from the service
Is the server the gateway or running RRAS/ISA
Plus the standard battery of tests.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dhcp-server-dropping-clients.745060/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi all,

I've been trying to connect to my belkin wireless router with no luck, the wired connection works fine but the wireless connection will not work. The wireless connection does connect to the network yet the internet will still not work. This is my first post so not sure what info is needed.

Im using Widows Vista Home Edition on a HP G50 Notebook PC trying to connect to a Belkin G Wireless Router.

Thanks in advance to the help and Ill try and post any info needed.

Relevancy 85.57%

How do I Force a client computer to send a negative acknowledgement to a dhcp server ?

Relevancy 85.57%

Hello all! Thanks for reading this!

I am having some troubles with my wireless connection. First of all, it is not the router because another laptop running Mac OSX can connect to the internet just fine. I have tried renewing the connection, doing all the netsh things and still no luck. Here are my specs when I do an ipconfig/all.

DHCP is enabled
Autoconfig is enabled
IP Address is 169.254.133.75
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway 169.254.133.75

Please help me! If there is anything else you need to know just let me know.

A:Unable to conect to DHCP server

Hi

it sounds like the wireless connection isnt coming into play at all, the address you are getting is the one windows assigns when it cant find any DHCP servers and is set by the OS DHCP server.

are you using the windows software to connect to your wifi or are you using the cards own software..?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-conect-to-dhcp-server.127269/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi, I've got a DHCP service issue on Windows Server 2003, sometimes computers can not acquire an ip address and netbios is not working, this happens when DHCP service is down but a I dont known why the service get down, I have to reboot the server to fix temporaly this issue each time it comes.

Some suggestion to fix this definitely??

Thanks

Relevancy 85.57%

The DHCP Server function on my Small Business Server was used to assign IP's to my 4 PC's and 2 MAC's but now the DHCP server (when you go into services and DHCP in administrative tools) is saying it isnt started, but when i right click it and click start, it just stops itself ?

Ive tried re-starting it and things but dont really want to reboot the server as i dont really have the expertise?

Any help appreciated?

Ta

A:Windows 2000 DHCP Server

Check your system logs and look for any errors. There should be something about the service stopping.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-dhcp-server.489440/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi all I have two routers One is a Linksys WRG G with the Tomato firmware flashed router filter web as one another Using DHCP server, as The other is a PC running the IPCop software Either would work fine on their own as a router I m wanting to use them both though Using one router as DHCP server, another as web filter because each offers different features Tomato has good QoS features but IPCop has good URL filtering My current setup is this IPCop is Tomato is Tomato is the DHCP server and uses as the default gateway So all traffic gets passed through IPCop it appears What I would like to have is ONLY web traffic Using one router as DHCP server, another as web filter going through IPCop I guess I could do this by using it as a proxy server and manually entering in the proxy settings on each computer on the network That isn t practical though so I m trying to think of a better way I have a hunch there s a fairly simple solution to this but I can t quite peg it The goal is this Have the Tomato router be the real quot router quot -- DHCP server port forwarding et cetera but force ALL web traffic and ONLY web traffic through IPCop Any suggestions Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-one-router-as-dhcp-server-another-as-web-filter.980740/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello there can i firstly say I am a complete computer noob so i apologise if this is in the wrong section not helpful ill give as much info as i possibly can My OS is windows xp I looked around but i dont know how to get the system information like in other posts sorry hopefully not needed i recently got infected with a virus trojan through watching films should hopefully be gone now i installed new mcafee and my brother tried to help by deleting everything that he thought wasnt important this led to the dhcp client not working after hours of googling i have found out it needs dependencies of these are not starting server.....dependency dhcp working fine however one - NetIO legacy TDI Support Driver - will not start for some reason and comes up dhcp server.....dependency not starting with Device status This device is not present is not working properly or does not have all its dirvers installed Code It asks to check for solutions but when i push this a box comes up for like a nonsecond before instantly dissappearing soooo is there dhcp server.....dependency not starting any possible way that this can be restarted easily or does it need an expert to get onto it Any advice would be very much appreciated and really help me out as ive just been made redundant and really cant afford new computer And again apologies if this is in the wrong section or not useful info but its the best i can give without knowing hwo to get specific machine details stats and i presume its a problem with windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dhcp-server-dependency-not-starting-506582.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I got a new desktop loaded with Microsoft Vista.

When I couldn't connect to my router (at home) I tried ipconfig /renew /reliease commands and got the following message:

"Unable to contact your DHCP server".

I brought my PC to work and it connected fine to the network there.

At home I use the modem/router provided by Verizon (FIOS). I tried several ethernet cables - so I am pretty sure it is not the cable.

BTW, other pc's at home are connected to the router, so the router is OK.

Any help is appreciated.

A:unable to connect to DHCP server

Check the setting on your Router which served as your DHCP as well. Make sure that the Router provides enough IP addresses for your home network.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unable-to-connect-to-dhcp-server-254537.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi My laptop is SAMSUNG RC model It has Windows bit To connect to internet i have to plugin the LAN Cable to my system and it has to automatically get one IP from DHCP server Then i have to open a website and login to connect to internet But when i plug in the cable it does a try to connect to the DHCP server to get one IP But does a timeout and set one default IP with x x x Same when i inserted to a different laptop it had no issues Things i have tried are Doing a Unable to get LAN from from dhcp 7 server windows through IP release and trying to Unable to get IP from dhcp server from windows 7 through LAN renew the IP from command prompt Disabling kaspersky Antivirus Uninstalling the antivirus Disabling all rules from Windows Firewall Uninstalled Virtual Box software to make sure other network stuff not creating problem Uninstalled and installed the driver several times Disabled and enabled the connecting several times Plugged out and in Unable to get IP from dhcp server from windows 7 through LAN the cable several times DHCP and DNS client are running and set to automatic But still it cannot make my laptop s LAN to get one IP from the DHCP server of the connection I cannot set a static IP as it has to work in DHCP Please help me out nbsp

A:Unable to get IP from dhcp server from windows 7 through LAN

Maybe only the one computer is allowed to connect and you have to call the provider to "reset" the connection or to register another computer to allow it to connect.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-get-ip-from-dhcp-server-from-windows-7-through-lan.1139610/
Relevancy 85.57%

Okay so I ve been getting this problem while connecting to my college dorm s network DHCP Problems/No Server Response Whenever I plug in an ethernet without modifying some settings my computer doesn t even respond to the cable being plugged in Going into my LAN adapter settings I tested if a cable was even being recognized and it was not The first thing I did was install a new driver for my LAN adapter which at first did nothing Then I started fiddling around with something called Link DHCP Problems/No Server Response Speed and Duplex Settings because it s description said matching these settings to the network s can sometimes invoke a response Originally set at auto configuration I changed these settings to mbps and got a response but didn t connect to the network All sorts of problems come up like quot Didn t recognize a DHCP server Windows obtained automatic IP address settings quot It will try to connect to the network but ultimately takes minutes or so to come up with these errors So next I tried the mbps setting and for some reason this makes everything work completely fine without issues Except I can now only get extremely slow internet speeds in exchange for internet actually working I also tried buying a NIC DHCP Problems/No Server Response card to go into my unused PCI slot but my computer won t even accept the new NIC Booting up my computer will make it go through this continuous power restart cycles without actually displaying anything on screen Currently I m using the ethernet port on my motherboard which I can give you the specs of my computer later on if needed Thanks in advance for any advice nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dhcp-problems-no-server-response.1048622/
Relevancy 85.57%

i got the same problem but just not whit a wireless and its not a routher but a switch. can i get some help plz?

Relevancy 85.57%

The Server went down - it is at shop for repairs. Meanwhile everyone can acecss internet fine - router is the DHCP and DNS server. However today one computer on the network is getting an APIPA address and can't ping the default gateway or any other computers on the network. Loopback ping works and device manager indicates network card is working correctly. Checked cables. Uninstalled and reinstalled network card. Rebooted several time. Anyone have any idea what to try next? All other computers on the network are accessing the internet just fine.

Relevancy 85.57%

I would appreciate any help you DHCP to your server contact unable can offer here I have a desktop computer directly connected to a cable modem It was working perfectly fine the other day it was connected to unable to contact your DHCP server Comcast Since then I have moved and tried to connect it to another cable modem this time it s a Time Warner modem unable to contact your DHCP server I keep getting the quot limited connectivity quot error and when I try to release and renew the IP address I get the error quot unable to contact your DHCP server Request has timed out quot I hooked it to my laptop and it works perfectly fine so I know it s the desktop Ipconfig of the desktop reveals a xxx IP address I have a Broadcom x Integrated Controller I have no network bridge I have tried the following Updated the driver to the most recent checked the DHCP settings in Services uninstalled my McAfee virus scanner firewall reinstalled TCP IP from windows inf and rebooted and release and renew several times reset the resetlog txt and rebooted and release and renew several times Is it possible that Comcast had it configured a specific way and now it won t work with the Time Warner cable modem Is there a way to completely reset the settings Is there a setting a can check or change Thank you Chuck nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Hi I'm using Windows on a HP bits I'm unable to connect via my Ethernet Cable to the local Network I get the DHCP server your contact to Unable message quot Ethernet quot doesn't have a valid IP configuration and the connection says quot Unidentified Network - Limited quot My DHCP server has the following IP address Command ipconfig says that Ethernet adapter Ethernet Autoconfiguration IPv Address This IPC address given by the autoconfiguration is wrong I tried a few fixes according to what I've found on Internet First try ipconfig release ipconfig renew Doesn't fix my problem Another Unable to contact your DHCP server try netsh windows reset catalog netsh int ipv reset reset log Doesn't fix my problem Another try netsh interface ipv show inter gt gives me idx for Name quot Ethernet quot then netsh interface ipv set interface dadtransmits store persistent then disable startup type for service quot DHCP client quot stop the service unplug Ethernet cable reboot then startup type automatic for service quot DHCP client quot restart the service plug Ethernet cable Doesn't fix my problem What can I do now Thanks for any help Remi

A:Unable to contact your DHCP server

What does Device Manager look like? Any yellow marks? Is the network showing as working?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/66278-unable-contact-your-dhcp-server.html
Relevancy 85.57%

We have a network of PCs and Macs with manually assigned IP addresses of - and use OpenDNS for DNS service for filtering purposes We use a Netgear Router WNDR for DHCP and and Server how Rogue to locate DHCP the range Rogue DHCP Server and how to locate assigned is - IF we allow DHCP assigned addresses on PC we get a IP address of xx subnet mask of with a gateway of If I allow DHCP on Macs I get a xxx address which I know is internal If I allow DHCP on WiFi on Macs I get xx How do I find out where this address is coming from Is it one computer that is broadcasting this Or is on multiple computers I ve thought of unplugging them one-by-one and then renewing the lease to see if I can nail Rogue DHCP Server and how to locate it down but if more than one I would be chasing my tail Does this sound familiar I have other issues on PCs such as not being able to browse workgroup computers It tells me that quot Workgroup is not accessible The network path was not found quot Aaargh Thanks for your help or even trying I m lost and the local tech I brought in just scratched their head and took my money nbsp

A:Rogue DHCP Server and how to locate

Is it one computer that is broadcasting this?Click to expand...

Maybe it is computer(s), but I would suspect a router.

Don't know how to track either down other than by walking around and looking for a router. Or with a Wi-Fi detector walk around looking for a wireless network that shouldn't be there. You can use a laptop as a Wi-Fi detector with utilities such as the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector (or gadget).

Or maybe Advanced IP Scanner (or similar) would help. Scan for one of the IP ranges and then for the other. If you find a router that shouldn't be there, or a computer on both networks, maybe that would give a clue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/rogue-dhcp-server-and-how-to-locate.1062827/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi everyone i have a dell server Unable contact dhcp to dimension just did a fresh install for a friend with windows xp home edition and installed all the necessary drivers so everything looked good so i Unable to contact dhcp server connect my modem to the desktop with my service provider is cox communications and Unable to contact dhcp server success with internet connectivity so i try surfing the web and everything is ok but we take it to my friends home setup the computer try to go online and nothing so i try and go to network connections i see that its connected on the status so i try to repair it but results were couldn t renew ip address so i try another thing similar and go to my command prompt i release the ip adress and try to renew but when i try to renew it said unable to contact dhcp server i asked my friend what internet provider they have and they said at amp t so i remove everything again and bring it home with me connect it again on my modem and im up and running good online Any idea on how to fix this problem does it have to do with at amp t using a phone line nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-contact-dhcp-server.1006744/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi,

I have a Cisco 1812 router that am looking to enable as a DHCP server, a question I have that I cant seem to find the answer for is;

Can I bind a single port to broadcast the DHCP messages like you can on a Windows Sever?

Any pointers would be great.

Many Thanks
Karl

A:Cisco Router DHCP Server

It's been a while since I have configured DHCP services on a router or switch. But from what I remember, the router or switch will know which interface to answer on based on the scope(s) you have defined in the DHCP configuration. Say you have two interfaces with one on 192.168.0.0/24 and another on 10.0.0.0/24. If you define a DHCP scope to hand out addresses in the range from 192.168.0.10 to 50, the router/switch will know to answer DHCP requests on the interface configured on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cisco-router-dhcp-server.1040794/
Relevancy 85.57%

After Unable DHCP your Contact to Server a BSOD incident which now appears to be remedied my desktop cannot connect to the internet I receive a pop-up quot This connection has limited or no connectivity quot etc When I perform start gt run gt cmd gt ipconfig release and then renew I receive the message quot unable to contact your DHCP Unable to Contact your DHCP Server server quot A laptop connect to the same router and modem is working just fine I m on it now I have already done the following based on advise from other sites -confirmed my DNS Client is Started and set to Automatic -confirmed my DHCP Client is Started and set to Automatic -downloaded and performed both lspfix exe and winsockxpfix exe -Reset TCP IP with the netsh command and tried the netsh dump -Confirmed I do not have a network bridge running -disabled my rd party firewall -reset my modem and router -checked cables -deleted amp re-installed the NIC -Start gt gt run gt gt services msc gt gt DHCP client gt gt go to quot Dependencies quot and checked for the following items AFD Networking Support environment Net BIOS over TCP IP TCP IP Protocol Driver -Reset winsock in the command prompt using netsh winsock reset I am running -bit XP with SP Please ask for any other details required to help me resolve this

A:Unable to Contact your DHCP Server

I would try a different NIC...the trail seems to lead that way.

These are not expensive and should allow more definitive troubleshooting.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/335924/unable-to-contact-your-dhcp-server/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello, I'm using Windows server 2003 and am having trouble with the DHCP server. I need to turn on option 61 (Client unique identifier) to get some hardware to work, but it doesn't come up. is there some way to do this??

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-server-2003-dhcp.437580/
Relevancy 85.57%

I am receiving event id 1007 from source DHCP on my Domain Controller which is causing loss of routing and access to network resources. From initial research it appears to be caused by one of the network cards receiving an auto configuration IP address in the 169.254 range. This is causing users to lose access to the Internet, which is not good.

Anyone any ideas what could be causing this? It has only recently started happening. The DHCP range has 31% free so it should not be due to IP address conflicts?

Grateful for advice if anyone has come across this.

Relevancy 85.57%

I just replaced my DHCP unable to your server contact XP desktop with a W laptop I have had constant network issues I have a home network with a Linksys WRT G running DD-WRT My old XP computer worked fine as do another laptop running XP and three other networked devices Tivo wireless WD TV Live Hub wireless WD NAS unable to contact your DHCP server wired The W laptop takes a long time to connect first as a quot Public Network quot without internet capability Then about one minute later sometimes longer as a quot Home Network quot without internet Then about one minute later sometimes never with internet After a few hours usage the connection goes away becoming a quot Public Network quot I cannot even access the router configuration page The only way to get connected again is to physically unplug my router My router is set up for DHCP and all devices including the new W laptop are configured to automatically obtain IP addresses from the router's DHCP server I noticed that my IP address in ipconfig all is quot Preferred quot I haven't seen a good explanation yet for the quot Preferred quot part of it When I try to renew the IP address the error message is quot unable to contact your DHCP server quot In the router settings I have tried to assign a quot static lease quot something I did with my XP desktop but the IP address never takes I have run a Microsoft fix for TCP IP stack I have uninstalled and re-installed my wireless adapter The adapter drivers are up-to-date When I tried connecting the computer to the router via ethernet I get no connection at all This probably seems dumb but it appears that the DHCP connection is not working but the adapter is somehow connecting anyway but with limited temporary abilities Any help is greatly appreciated

A:unable to contact your DHCP server

User error. I had my firewall set up incorrectly. I think the problem is solved.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/140545-unable-contact-your-dhcp-server.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Specifications Virgin Media United Kingdom Motorola SB Cable - make DHCP conact Cannot with server Using Ethernet Pluscom WR-RTL Wired amp Wireless Broadband Router Wired No wireless used On-board Realtek RTL amp Cannot make conact with DHCP server Also tried PCI Netgear FA NIC Custom built - Abit AI Motherboard Windows XP Media Center SP First problem occurred days ago whilst on a YouTube-type video network browsing some videos and my browser stopped loading pages etc So i thought a simple restart of my machine would fix this well i thought wrong I was getting quot Local Area Connection is now connected Speed Mbps quot But a weird IP Address x x I have read and now understand that this IP Address is Automatic Private Address etc Here is a list of things i have tried Open up CMD and quot ipconfig release quot then quot ipconfig renew quot Different WinsockFixXP Programs v amp v Cannot make conact with DHCP server Switching Ethernet ports on the router Replacing the Ethernet cable Simple reboot of router for mins New NIC card Uninstall all NIC drivers and replacing them Have a secondary OS encase i have any problems with my main OS getting same problems But now i get quot Limited or no connectivity quot errors I know you have many of these problems plus i have searched about for hours looking for a solution but none yet Cannot make conact with DHCP server have been found Thanks in advance for any suggestions solutions Alex Mitton nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

I was working on a XP SP2 computer yesterday and was unable to establish a valid IP address. I was able to get a valid IP address with another XP computer so I know it's not the service itself but the computer. I tried running winsock fix, removed Norton Internet Security to make sure it wasn't creating any conflicts, installed a Usb-to-Ethernet adapter--I even restored the computer to a month prior to no avail. The weird thing is, I'm able to get the initial local IP of the cable modem itself which is a good sign but when it tries to release the local IP for one assigned by the DHCP server, I get all 0's or a 169 IP. Any ideas on what is happening?

Relevancy 85.57%

I have computers both XP connected to a Infosmart router Ive had problems before but months ago i just gave up didnt need the second comp A month ago i connected all the hardware like they were before n it worked I was able to connect to internet from both of computers It seemed to me like a miracle because it had repaired itself But days ago the connection was I server leasing IP not DHCP addresses wasnt even able to configure my router trough the browser Got a bit upset I tried the ipconfig release flushdns renew commands about times It gave me the same error Unable to connect to your DHCP server not leasing IP addresses DHCP server This is what it gives me when i type ipconfig release Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Autoconfiguration IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway PPP adapter adsl Connection-specific DNS Suffix IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway I know that the IP address blablabla indicates that my DHCP server isnt leasing IP adresses but i might be wrong cuz i cant read anymore I have resetted my modem and router Nothing changed I this information DHCP server not leasing IP addresses wasnt enough tell me I would really preciate your help

A:DHCP server not leasing IP addresses

You have a public ip address on one machine.

Make sure you have the modem plugged into the router wan port, then the computers plugged into the remaining ports, usually labeled 1-4.

Then try resetting all of the routers, modems and pcs. Modem first, then router, then the pc's

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/dhcp-server-not-leasing-ip-addresses-14538.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I am running windows xp on a dell inspiron 4150 with a built in wireless card. My wireless was working fine until windows prompted me to reboot due to windows update. It stopped working after that. It is telling me that no ip address can be found and when I ipconfiged it with renew and all it still could not find it. It gave me an error message that says cannot connect to DHCP server.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you,

A:Network could not connect to DHCP server

Nothing really comes to mind, but if you're using Window's Wireless Zero Configuration maybe you need to reconfigure your wireless connection; especially if your network is protected with encryption.

I use the utilities from my wireless cards' manufacturers to connect to my WPA protectecd network and had no trouble today after the same reboot (two notebooks). Well, same reboot if you're talking about the critical update released yesterday.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-could-not-connect-to-dhcp-server.363808/
Relevancy 85.57%

I have a Dell Inspiron desktop running win home premium w a bit OS I have Frontier dsl with a Westell W modem and a netgear router Two desktops are connected to the internet one through the modem and the Dell through the router I also run laptops through the router w no problem This morning the dsl went down and when to Unable DHCP Server contact it came back up the Dell would not connect i tried Diagnosing Connection Problems and I m told to turn off the modem router which I have done a gazillion times When I look at Network Connections in the Control Panel It tells me I have an unidentified network and can t connect I read through some forums earlier and found that releasing and renewing ipconfig often corrects the problem and that s when I got the message that An error occurred while nenewing Local Area Connection unable to contact DHCP Unable to contact DHCP Server server This set up has worked for the past year and a half I looked at the network adapter and it says it s working properly I changed the cables going to the machines and they both work on this computer The only change made to the computer was to install McAfee security center through AOL yesterday but the set up worked all yesterday and last night I am not very techie i can make some software sing but when it comes to hardware and networking issues I m not too bright Any help you can provide would be much appreciated Problems like this make me crazy nbsp

A:Unable to contact DHCP Server

After uninstalling McAfee run the McAfee Removal Tool.

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-contact-dhcp-server.1057597/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi My Windows bit PC is not acquiring IP number from the DHCP server at the same it works with a static IP assigned In both cases the network tray icon shows a X mark which indicates normally when a number from Acquiring DHCP IP Server Not network cable is not connected I found that the DHCP Client service was not getting started because of quot Error Access Denied quot issue Somehow I managed to fix it by resetting the permissions of following registry entries HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services Dhcp HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Services Tcpip But still the system Not Acquiring IP number from DHCP Server fails to get IP from the Not Acquiring IP number from DHCP Server DHCP server though DHCP Client service is running Do I have to check any other related services for this to get sorted out Also I am getting the same error for many other service like 'Base Filtering Engine' and because of that Windows Firewall Service is also not getting started I have scanned the machine for virus malware rootkit etc and could not find any threat Also every time when I reboot the PC it shows 'configuring windows Do not Switch off your PC' and takes around - minutes to boot Also I cannot check for windows update because of the same set of errors Tried applying System Restore with the earliest restore point available nbsp Tried sfc scannow as well Any other solution other than formatting and reinstalling Please help

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2ce5946d-e0cb-44b0-80a4-817e31afd44c/not-acquiring-ip-number-from-dhcp-server?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 85.57%

I just acquired two Gateway Unable your contact to DHCP server e Pentium Ghz XP PRO machines Unable to contact your DHCP server from work put out to pasture They were setup to login to our domain at work and then after authentication you Unable to contact your DHCP server could access the internet They were setup to receive an IP address from our domain controller and DNS was controlled by a local server After bringing them home I removed them from the domain and created a workgroup I also set all TCP IP properties to authenticate automatically and removed all instances for DNS My current internet connection at home is a Westell Ethernet ADSL Modem C - R with a Cat cable going directly to the NIC My existing home computer powers up and receives an IP address from the Westell without a problem but when I try attaching either of the Gateways I get the error listed above I have spent many hours troubleshooting this problem I have tried the release renew command clearing the IP stack with netsh checking security policy clearing IP filtering plus many many other things I was able to establish a connection and get on the internet with a Gateway but only after I gave the new Gateway a fixed IP address default gateway and DNS entries that matched the current settings of my home computer Correct me if I am wrong but I think I am issued a different IP by my Westell modem router every time I boot up my computer Or does this IP come from my ISP And if the IP changes with every login the Gateways will then not be able to login after a shutdown Any ideas on how to get these two machines to login and receive an IP automatically like my existing home computer Am I asking the right questions Did I provide enough information Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

A:Unable to contact your DHCP server

Hi surffishermanca, and welcome to TSG.

Some ISPs (like SBC/ATT) configure the DHCP server on the modem to only give out a limit of one IP address, unless you sign up for some type of home networking plan. Try power cycling the modem when you switch computers.

EDIT: Thank you very much for all the details. Most people here would rather sift through bits of extra data than not having enough.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-contact-your-dhcp-server.539833/
Relevancy 85.57%

Quick question,

Is there a reliable way to setup a secure dedicated webmail server at my home using a dedicated computer and a DHCP cable line (15m-D,2m-U)? If so, what is the difficulty level of this on a 1-5 scale (5 - able to write your own drivers, 1 - can hook up a computer)?

Also, where is a good place to read about how large scale network infrastructure and management works? I'd really like to learn about how server grade routers, firewalls and the like work. The most I know is to connect to xx.xx.xx.xx (ip) to configure my linksys router. I appreciate all your direction and thought (and time).

Guitto

A:DHCP + Personal WebMail Server

Are you looking to become an emal service provider? Have you looked into using a service provider like godaddy or something like that. They have email hosting packages that are very reasonably priced.

Ihave not set up a webmail server but there will be a few software packages you will need to install and configure. What do you consider your level of expertise?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dhcp-personal-webmail-server.114434/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi there i ve been having this annoying issue with my wireless connection every problem DHCP contact unable server to your now and unable to contact your DHCP server problem then it gets disconnected and stays under quot Limited Connectivity quot i try to reset the IP and get the quot unable to contact your DHCP server quot problem and i cannot do any of the ipconfig tasks due to the same error The main problem is that i cannot have internet again until i restart the laptop and even if i turn it off and back again then it says quot Windows Cannot find any Networks quot or quot try switching your wireless mode on quot even though it s on and there are about differenet wireless connections in here I know it s my laptop but is the wireless card damaged or something I have a Toshiba Satellite A SP with a Intel R PRO Wireless ABG Network Connection and im connected wireless to a WEP Drivers are updated and no configurations problems appear under device manager Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 84.28%

Hey all,

I need some help. I have recently got a new internet connection and I have three computers in my house, and one of them wouldnt connect to network (wirelessly or wired). It used to be able to connect just fine but now its either limited or no connectivity or it says its connected but wouldnt browse. Ive tried changing firewall settings and renewing ip but it says that it cant connect to DHCP server, dont really know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated

Relevancy 84.28%

I ve been trying to google solutions to this but nothings been working My other computer and my laptop can connect to internet but one of my computers can t I ve tried release renew but after the renew all that came up was quot An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection unable to contact your DHCP server to DHCP unable internet, No contact server quot Click to expand I ve also included my ipconfig output below Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R DC Gigabit Network Connection Physical Address - B-FC-E - B- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe dbd d c f b Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv No internet, unable to contact DHCP server Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -A -AB- C- - B-FC-E - B- DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap F EF -EC - C -A D -B E D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP No internet, unable to contact DHCP server Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled YesClick to expand Does anyone have any ideas of suggestions as to how I can fix this Sorry I m not very tech savvy so I don t know how this works at all Thank you in advance nbsp

A:No internet, unable to contact DHCP server

Safemode with networking
with a cable connected from PC to router
check the cable - see if there is a light on the router associated with the cable port used , also check if you have a green/yellow light on the PC LAN port (some PCs do not have any lights on the LAN port - so ignore)
- try safemode with networking (sometimes wireless does not work with safemode )
as the PC starts keep tapping F8 - a menu appears - choose
safemode with networking - see if that works

have you changed the cable at all ?

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, kaspersky or Mcafee or any free security suites like zonealarm, AVG , Webroot etc

what windows version are you running ?

whats the make and exact model of the PC

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-internet-unable-to-contact-dhcp-server.1117327/
Relevancy 84.28%

hi,
i hope someone or someone's is able to help me...

i have limited to no connectivity and when i repair connection i am told my IP address cannot be renewed. after doing some reading on some sites i took the step of going into start, run, and did IPCONFIG /RELEASE and also IPCONFIG /RENEW and it says, "an error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

I've read a few of the forums from people who were having the same trouble but found no forum and answers for a user who has D-link 802.11g/2.4GHz.

I'm on a friends laptop at the moment.
I don't have any floppy disks or CD's to copy my desktops information, but need to figure out how to fix this problem.
if anyone could help me your really nice and i appreciate any information <3

Relevancy 84.28%

Is the number of DHCP pools limited only by the amount of RAM or is there a set limit you can have depending on the router model?