Windows Support Forum

Creating A New Partition Or Wiping A Partition On External Hard Disk Stuck

Q: Creating A New Partition Or Wiping A Partition On External Hard Disk Stuck

I have an external hard disk of Samsung 650GB which got damaged when I was transferring some files to my pc through it. Now when I connect to any PC or Laptop it shows the safely remove icon but there is no letter assigned to it and also doesn't show up in My Computer though it can be seen in Disk Management.

I tried Mini Tool Partition Wizard but when I create a new partition it stops at 90%. I tried wiping out the partition but to no avail.

Is there any solution for it??? Please help.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Creating A New Partition Or Wiping A Partition On External Hard Disk Stuck

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Creating A New Partition Or Wiping A Partition On External Hard Disk Stuck

I would check the manufacturers site for a windows utility to low level format it. If you cannot find a utility to do that on manufacturer's site, then try this: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/ to wipe the drive. WARNING!! this will destroy all data on the selected hard drive!! be very careful when selecting a drive to wipe that you don't inadvertently select the wrong disk. After a low level format, unplug the drive, plug back in, windows should detect as a new, virgin, drive and it'll prompt you to format it. Format it and hopefully everything will be fine from here on out for you.

Post back, Hope this helps!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/creating-a-new-partition-or-wiping-a-partition-on-external-hard-disk-stuck.198811/
Relevancy 109.65%

First sorry for bad english I am using Hitachi hard disk Hitachi HDS CLA SCSI Disk Device which has actual size of GB on windows When i assembled PC from retailer he made three partitions of size C D E GB I had no idea about partitions at that creating while on Problem partition new hard disk. time Now I understand that making more partitions will be useful for data management so I moved all my important data to E drive And as my system was slow i also wanted Problem while creating new partition on hard disk. format windows While formatting i deleted C drive System and D drive which was labelled as logical which Created about GB free space First I created drive with size of GB while creating this drive windows pop up with message saying something like this 'For security reasons windows will create one additional drive quot So It created two drives one with GB and second with GB It Still shows GB free space was left I created one extra drive with GB space After creating this drive GB free space was left on hard disk But there was no option to make additional drive So i completed format and re-installed windows Now i have three drives Newly created C D and old E GB plus GB free space When computer restart after format it open D drive in auto-play menu like DVD which was totally unusual for me and it even ask me to format it Now the problem is i want to create new partition from with that GB free space So i opened disk management tool Then while creating a new simple volume at unallocate space i have this message before creating quot the operation you selected will convert the selected basic disk to dynamic disk if you convert the disk to dynamic you will not be able to start installed OS from any volume expect the current boot volume Does something wrong is happening with me some users are saying that this will destroy hard disk My PC is just one year old So i simply cant buy new hard disk Should i proceed or better loose my valuable GB space

A:Problem while creating new partition on hard disk.

Creating a Dynamic disk will delete all the data on all the remaining partitions. The Windows 7 OS will remain intact.
This procedure only destroys data, not the physical drive.

There's free partitioning software that will allow you to increase the partition(s) sizes, to utilize the 93GB.

Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online
The home versions are free.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/257852-problem-while-creating-new-partition-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 104.49%

i have a 500gb Freecom external hard drive, i use it for both storing files and multimedia playback via my xbox 360, it was setup as a Fat32 format, but i needed to store files larger than 4gb on it so i took everything off reformatted it to NTFS and put the large files on there, now i found out the xbox 360 wont read this format, so im guessing the answer is to partition it? one side being NTFS other Fat32? is that possible and also do i have to remove all of my files back across again took 4 hours last time. it has 200gb left.
what program to use as well, like a free one if possible!

A:External Hard Disk Partition

I can only help you out with the file copy program,which is
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php
I don't have an answer to the rest of your questions,sorry!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-disk-partition.771015/
Relevancy 103.63%

Hello everyone The main issue is that I have an ISO file on a USB and I've been trying to boot Windows from it I get to the screen where it asks me which hard drive I want to install the OSS I bought a new hard drive and as such it appears as Disk Unallocated Space From there I select it and hit quot next quot but it gives me the error message quot Setup was unable to create a system partition or locate an existing partition quot I tried partitioning it and then I tried formatting and that didn't work Also even though it is a SATA Hard drive it is set as IDE on the BIOS One part I should point out is that the SATA cable I'm using is for my old hard drive which was a SATA gb s This one is gb s I'm pretty sure that they are backwards compatible but just in case this could be an issue too I should let people know Also would it help if I burned the Stuck install drive. new cannot partition hard 7 on Windows disk on ISO on an empty DVD disk instead I heard sometimes the culprit is things on USB Thank you EDIT Should point out that this is an old motherboard but because I took the old hard drive out it is a clean install meaning that I have no OS at all

A:Windows 7 cannot install on new hard drive. Stuck on disk partition

Work through the steps for Overcoming Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums

In BIOS setup are there any settings for CSM, UEFI, Secure Boot or Legacy BIOS, or does the BIOS Boot menu show any UEFI devices listed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/343441-windows-7-cannot-install-new-hard-drive-stuck-disk-partition.html
Relevancy 103.2%

My computer has been infected by a serious virus and I ended up formatting the computer I installed McAfee after the reformat and scanned the computer and found it OK However when I did the scan for the external hard disk I found that there is a generic dx Trojan in one of four partitions but McAfee tells me quot No Action Taken Cleaning Failed quot or similar notification I tried to update the AV but that did not work also My computer partition Generic.dx external in my of hard one disk is still Ok as I did Generic.dx in one partition of my external hard disk some online scans and it is clear but I have some files in this hard disk that Generic.dx in one partition of my external hard disk I really need I did not open the hard disk after getting that notification of the Trojan and I am now lost where to go to restore security to my computer after this How can I remove this generic dx Trojan from the partition Why McAfee cannot clean this I tried to update McAfee but failed why Is it dangerous to keep accessing the hard disk without opening the infected partition or that is dangerous as well Help me please

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/generic-dx-in-one-partition-of-my-external-hard-disk-449083.html
Relevancy 97.61%

I tried to download Partition Logic from its website. Since they didn't offer the exe file, I downloaded the ISO image, and burned it using Nero as it was instructed. The CD seemed to have burned well (I can see the different folders and files), however, I can't figure out how to run the program. Could someone help me. Thank you.

As a side note, I am trying to format my hard disk and make a clean reinstallation of Windows XP SP2. However, I have already partitioned my hard disk in 2 halves. I tried to delete one of them using the Computer Management, however, instead of merging it with the system partition, it remains unallocated. Does someone knows how to solve this issue. Thanks again

A:Hard disk partition with Partition Logic

Partition Logic runs from the CD. You boot it up. But I wouldn't use it. I have great hopes for such free apps, but I don't think that one is ready for prime-time.

Try the free Paragon partitioner (and make the CD after installation so you can partition from the boot CD, too).

The XP partition will need to be resized by a third-party partitioner.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
SystemRescueCD
Gparted LiveCD
Parted Magic
Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
Free Paragon Hard Drive Manager 8.0 Special Edition (Make recovery CD for offline partitioning or defrag.)
XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)
Partition Logic
Ranish Partition Manager
Cute Partition Manager

Shareware:

Paragon Partition Manager
Paragon Hard Disk Manager
Terabyte BootIt NG
Acronis Disk Director
V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
EASEUS Partition Manager
7Tools Partition Manager
Spotmau Partition Genius

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-partition-with-partition-logic.710198/
Relevancy 95.03%

A friend of mine gave me his external hard drive with the hopes that I might be able to fix it.

It's a new external Western Digital that is 2TB in size and he purchased it within the last 2 or 3 months. I don't know what he did, but it wouldn't surprise me if he pulled the USB cord without properly unmounting the drive and something with his filesystem became corrupted. I don't know how to repair this.

The drive will show you a drive letter when you attach it to Windows, and using a partition manager (in Linux) shows the drive to contain an "unknown" partition type. In Windows, running "chkdsk e: /x /r" returns an error that says "chkdsk is not available for RAW drives".

Anyone know of a reliable (and preferably free) utility that might be able to repair this kind of problem quickly?

A:External hard drive NTFS partition missing; chkdsk says it's a "RAW" partition now

Is this a data recovery operation? Should be able to just format again if not.

Otherwise testdisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) might be useful to recover the partition info.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-ntfs-partition-missing-chkdsk-says-its-a-raw-partition-now.868198/
Relevancy 93.31%

Hi, I'm starting work on a project that I'd like to have on a seperate partition of the hard drive on my Dell Desktop running XP home edition. Is it possible to create a new partition without deleting everything that's on the disk?

If I do have to completely format the disk does anyone know if there is a way I could copy an image or something onto my external hard drive so that I don't have to go through the process of installing drivers, the service packs, settings, files and Programs. I know there is the file and settings transfer wizard but I don't think this works for programs, does it?

Thanks in advance for the help.

A:Creating A Partition without formatting disk?

What you need is some partition software.

E A S E U S Partition Manager Home Edition
http://www.ea seus.com/download.htm

copy and past that url, then delete the space between ea and seus

ea seus

this is what it looks like with/o the space

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/creating-a-partition-without-formatting-disk-296836.html
Relevancy 91.16%

I have 455 gb of c Drive and out of that 150 GB is free. I have on one drive C. I want to create a partition.

However when i click on shrink volume of C drive it shows that only 3 gb of space is available to create a partition.

I have attached the image which shows the popup window. In the back window u can see the free space.

Please some 1 help me in this. Thanks!

A:Error in creating Partition in Windows 7 using Disk Fragment

You need to use Partition Wizard bootable disk, rather than Windows Disk Management. The former does not have the limitations of the latter.

The last link at the bottom of this page:

Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online

Burn it to a disk and boot from it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/260315-error-creating-partition-windows-7-using-disk-fragment.html
Relevancy 89.87%

I m not sure if I m doing this right I did see some posts about backup up a system but I m not sure I understood the entire process at least the way I did it I m not sure that I did it correctly but I don t have an external hard drive except for an GB usb drive and that is not big enough The purpose of my backup is just to make a recovery partition that I can copy if something goes wrong Obviously if the hard drive fails it s not going to help me but many times things can go wrong with Windows I tried to use a Linux Based recovery program drive? partition on Creating hard a my backup but neither of my Linux live CDs that I ve created seem to be able to load the kernel for some reason so while I m researching that problem I just used EaseUS partition Creating a backup partition on my hard drive? to make a GB partition that contains my Operating System with all of the updates I probably could have made it smaller but I figured I Creating a backup partition on my hard drive? d leave extra room just in case Then I copied my drive C onto a second backup partition of the same size I left the HP recovery partition and that left me with about GB of space for data storage I plan to install programs on this partition But I have questions concerning this Is this really going to help if I Creating a backup partition on my hard drive? get a virus because the backup partition is not really protected How am I going to boot from this partition if my Windows system files become so corrupted that I cannot boot I m assuming I need some sort of recovery disk I just don t have any experience with recovery except using Windows disks and factory restall and I really need to learn considering how long it can take to update everything and install all your software when something does go horribly wrong If I m doing this the wrong way I m open to suggestions Again right now my system doesn t appear to want to boot in Linux and I do not have an external hard drive so I have to do the best I can to work around those issues and have some sort of backup plan Thanks for any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 89.44%

Hi everyone,
I want to create a second primary partition on my first harddisk(disk 0 look at picture)

from the free space there in the extended partition(view screenshot). Now my problem is that whenever I want to create a new partition by right clicking and selecting "New Simple Volume" and selecting the formatting etc, I get another logical drive in the extended partition(look at picture below).

Is is not what I want. I want to move that free space out from the extended partition and add the unallocated 9 MB to it and then create a second primary partition on disk 0.

Note: If its possible I want to do this without using any third party software, IF POSSIBLE.

Thanks.

A:Creating a 2nd primary partition from extended partition ?

Unfortunately, you can't do what you want without third party software. Windows does not support moving partitions in Disk Management. What you need to do to solve this is to move F: to the end of E:, then shrink the extended partition, then you can create a new primary partition after the extended partition.

Like I said, Windows Disk Management does not do this, so you'll need a third party tool. I suggest Paragon Partition Manager Express, which is free.

Paragon Partition Manager Free Edition - Leading partitioning software! | PARAGON Software Group - free partition software, resize partition

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/32831-creating-2nd-primary-partition-extended-partition.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi guys i couldnt shrink my C drive less than 456GB so i usesd EASEUS Partition Master to shrink C drive to 150GB but now i cannot make a new partition of the unallocated drive, i get the error "You cannot create a new volume in this unallocated space because the disk already contains the maximum number of partitions".
i have attached the screenshot for a better understanding for you guys.
Can i increase the size of E drive and merge this unallocated drive with it or make a new drive of it?
Thanks!

A:Error while creating partition to unallocated partition

I looks like your hard drive is a MBR format (legacy) drive. On a MBR drive you can have a maximum of 4 Primary partitions. To add more partitions you must create one Extended partition and then use Logical drives within that partition.
Local Disk E: is already set up as the Extended partition (the green box around it indicates this). So you will have the option to create Logical drives in or after E:.

The problem is that Windows Disk Management tool is quite limited in what it can do. Disk Management can't even extend partitions to the left.

You need to shift that unallocated space down towards E:. You would also probably want that Extended partition at the end of the drive (although that is not absolutely necessary).

Minitool Partition Wizard, from the bootable CD, can do the job for you. Please remember that it is always a good idea to backup your data before playing with partition shifting. While PW is quite good, thing do go wrong from time to time.

Also note: if you do add a fifth Primary partition on a MBR disk the entire disk will be converted to a Dynamic Disk. And you do not want to do that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/278197-error-while-creating-partition-unallocated-partition.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello,

I need some help regarding disk imaging/partitions. I have a workstation on a gaming rig. I work and play games on it. I wanted to ask if I could separate my work files and GAMES setups (installed files) so they don't harm my work data.

I do play games with cheats/hacks and they mostly contain malicious files which can damage my operating system. I want to create a seperate DISK image like Vmware in which I can run games without being worried about any harmful files accessing my work partition.

Thanks in advance.

A:Creating a seperate disk image partition for running unwated programs.

Click Start
Right mouse click My Computer and click manage

This will bring up the computer manager on the left click Disk Management under Storage

Here you will see your hard drive in a raw form. Right mouse click your hard drive and click Shrink Volume...
This may take a while but the Manager will now Query the volume for available Shrink Space.

Where it sais Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB is the amount of MB's your new Partition will have (remember there is 1024 MB's in 1 GB use the calculator to calculate how much gigs your assigning it. Press Shrink then once shrink the partition will NOT be available for use yet.

Next you need to right click this new Partition and click Format.. make sure its file system is NTFS and that you are using all the space available then format it and you have a second Partition ready for your games.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/251104-creating-seperate-disk-image-partition-running-unwated-programs.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Alright this is something that has been bugging me a lot recently Since I've gotten my hands on my Asus windows laptop last Christmas I've always wanted to install Windows on it Found out about Virtualbox the other day and installed it with windows Everything worked out and my fear of messing up my new laptop was gone However my laptop is loaded with some pre-configured apps that are specifically designed for my Asus laptop I didn't Windows installing partition a hard-drive 7? and one Creating from want to lose some files and those apps so I wanted to create Creating a partition from one hard-drive and installing Windows 7? a partition from my main hard-drive Disk and install windows on there I wish to use dual boot and switch to either OEM with ease When I try to install windows I Creating a partition from one hard-drive and installing Windows 7? get the error quot This isn't a GPT drive which could cause the installation to fail Would you like to continue quot Around those lines Well after a few hours of fooling around I decided to give up and continue with the installation When my laptop loads now there's two options windows setup and windows Windows setup doesn't go through and gives me an error Two questions now how do Creating a partition from one hard-drive and installing Windows 7? I install two operating systems on one hard-drive by using partitions possibly And How do I get rid of that windows setup boot up screen now It's getting annoying I'll appreciate any sort of feedback advice Thank for reading guys

A:Creating a partition from one hard-drive and installing Windows 7?

Go to the Boot button in msconfig and see whether you can get rid of the boot entry there. Else you can use EasyBCD to get rid of it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/342529-creating-partition-one-hard-drive-installing-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 88.15%

My company s computer needs to be patitioned partition Hard-disk hard-disk do failure disk. Can't boot nor format when using and reformat The system is still working well Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure I mean nothing wrong with anything weird huh Ok the hard disk just need to be split I mean make drive C amp D on the hard disk I know how to do that easy Then the HD need to Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure be formatted amp reinstall windows XP Ok easy too But the main problem occured before I do anything partition amp format I have my own bootable CD that I usually use for partitioning amp formatting Ok i insert the CD amp restart I went to BIOS amp changed the boot order st boot CD-ROM nd HDD- amp rd Floppy Then restart again Ok the bootable CD is excellently loaded I typed fdisk then came the first problem it says something like no fixed disk I exit fdisk Then I typed format c nd problem occured it says something like invalid drive I forgot the error message because the pc is in my office right now I m currently at home begging for help So the error message is not accurate sorry I think if I run the CD the hard disk will not be loaded or should I say hard disk failure amp If I take off the CD amp restart again change the BIOS st boot HDD- then windows will load Weird right I don t think my CD is corrupted nor broken because I tried to run the CD from another PC Yes I can access the C drive from that PC Does anyone have any idea of the possibilities here Hard disk failure when running a win bootable CD bad BIOS setting File System Thanks nbsp

A:Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure

It sounds like it might be the bootable CD you've created is not picking up the HDD's/partitions.
To eliminate this as a posibility travel to bootdisk and grab the WinME bootdisk and boot from there. If it picks up the HDD you can FDISK and Format from there.
The other option is to boot using the XP CD and let it handle the formatting/partitioning duties...

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-format-hard-disk-nor-do-partition-when-using-boot-disk-hard-disk-failure.25613/
Relevancy 86%

I have recently taken a new PC with win 8.1.

My old PC had win xp.

My old HDD had two partitions C: and D:.

Now when accessing the old HDD as an external disk, I can find the first partition C: but in place of partition D: , it does not show at all and size shown is 0. ( 0 used and 0 available)

the files and folders are obviously not seen too.

what can be wrong and how do i access this partition again.

request someone with specific advice to inform me how to resolve this.

thanks.

A:windows 8.1 - PC does not detect one partition in external disk

Start by running Seatools for Windows (free from here:  http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/ )
Run the long/extended test on the hard drive whose partitions/files you can't see.

What was on partition D:?
Have you tried recovery software?  If not, I'd suggest this program (it's free to see what you can recover - but costs if you want to recover):  http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm
There are free programs that do this, but they aren't as reliable or they're much more difficult to use.  If looking for a free program I'd suggest:  http://www.pcinspector.de/Default.htm?language=1

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/581852/windows-81-pc-does-not-detect-one-partition-in-external-disk/
Relevancy 85.14%

Trying to do a clean install and my Windows Home Premium x seems to have an aversion to putting the system reserved partion on disk My HP notebook has Clean wont system install Disk partition with partition reserved 0 two identical disk drives If I boot up the windows Clean install wont partition Disk 0 with system reserved partition install with both drives unallocated and do a custom Clean install wont partition Disk 0 with system reserved partition install the window where i select the partition for the install if I click new to create a partition on disk it creates one partition on the whole disk If I do the same for disk it automatically creates two partitions one for the system reserved If I try to do that in reverse order by partioning disk first it will still create two partitions on disk one for the system reserved It wont partion disk with the system reserved partition I tried to install windows with only disk plugged to into the motherboard and that worked when i partitioned the drive during the windows install it created the system partion on disk However once i had windows up in running I plugged disk unallocated back into the mother board and windows woudnt boot up I could jsut install windows on disk but ive read that it is better to install it on disk

A:Clean install wont partition Disk 0 with system reserved partition

Welcome to the forum.

When you tried to boot with both disks installed, did you go to the BIOS and check that disk 0 was the first in the boot priority?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/341028-clean-install-wont-partition-disk-0-system-reserved-partition.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I use Windows 7 professional 64 bit edition. Im a novice user who is doing this for the 1st time.
I intend to use Macrium Reflect Free edition to store an image of my C drive which is the only partition I have, (931 GB ( of which 537 GB is free) ) on an external HDD which is of Sony, 1TB & Fat32 formatter.

But am I supposed to format the external HDD before attempting to create an image on it? The external HDD already has nearly 400 GB contents on it, & i cant wipe it off. Does the imaging process wipe it off? Or am i expected to do it, before starting the imaging process??

& also how much space is the image going to occupy roughly??

I'd be highly thankful if someone could guide me on this.. Please..

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/402710-should-i-format-external-hd-before-creating-hard-disk-image.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Howdy. I have a Mac Mini with an internal hard drive partitioned with Bootcamp for a Mac side and an XP side. It is so full I can't run the SP3 upgrade (lots of photos). I need to add an external HD to store the photos - like in the 1TB range - and although I will use it almost entirely with XP Pro, I do want a small part of it for the mac stuff. It'd be a USB 2.0hookup.
I think I can just do this with Bootcamp, but the WinXP side is more important to me, so I'd like the opinion of you WinXP guys first. Any suggestions?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-hard-drive-partition-339406.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I bought an external 120 gb hard disk. I would like to partition it into 6 partition.

Is this possible?

If yes, what software do you recommend? Any freeware options?

Thanks,

Tom

A:Partition external hard drive

should be doable using the XP disk mgr -- did you try it?

btw: 120/6 parts = (6x) 20gb partitions; why so small?

Also consider: An external HD can be used by other systems,
even Mac and Linux *IF* you plan ahead now -- format as FAT32

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/partition-external-hard-drive.87549/
Relevancy 84.71%

hi, can i partition my external hard drive? thank you

A:partition external hard drive

Yes... I think it already is. What do you want to accomplish?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/244340-partition-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I just bought a maxtor 320g HD, can I partition it in two halves to share with someone else? Also, is there a software I could use to automatically back up my entire drive without compressing any file? thankx

A:Can I Partition A External Hard Drive

Yes, you can. Use Windows Disc Management. To make a copy of your main drive read this article, missing out the steps on deleting files.
If you are unsure about any steps, post back. Let us know how you get on.
Regards,
Pilot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/can-i-partition-a-external-hard-drive-142185.html
Relevancy 84.71%

This may be a stupid question, but when I try to connect my new external hard drive (that will be used for backup and file storage), how do I partition it? I have decided that I need to, but am not sure how to go about it. I do not have Partition Magic, but do run WindowsXP. I want to make sure I partition it before I start putting anything on it. Thanks for your help!

A:What do I need to partition new external hard drive?

Check the manufacturers website. They should have a program you can use to do it (usually automatically). I would check to be sure it is the one you need. Not sure if you need a special program for an external.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-do-i-need-to-partition-new-external-hard-drive.210136/
Relevancy 84.71%

I am new to the forum I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question but hoping someone here can direct me or might know I purchased a TB Drive? a How 1TB to Hard external Partition hard drive to place media files on it so that I could plug it into my DVD How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive? player which has a USB port I made sure to format the hard drive to Fat What I can surmise is that the TB hard drive is too big for the DVD player to read I plug it in and it says Device Not Supported But I've successfully plugged in an external card reader and used a GB SD card to place files on and it reads them fine So I'm thinking it's the size of the drive that is the issue Someone who is more computer savvy told me I might have to partition the hard drive into two partitions One partition gb and then the other partition with whatever is left They did say they were not sure if there was a way to set it up so the gb Partition is what is recognized first when plugged into the DVD player This way I would transfer movies I want to watch to the GB partition and transfer them over Now when I search hard disk partitions in Windows the manager comes up and I can see the hard drive but I can not change the size to partition it It's grayed out Is there a freeware program that works with Windows that will split the hard drive into two partitions in sizes I specify and make sure that the GB partition is the first one loaded or seen And if I set it up that way when I plug it into my computer will the computer see both partitions Thanks so much Melissa

A:How to Partition a 1TB external Hard Drive?

The easiest program to use for partitioning is MiniTool Partition Wizard Free:
Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

As long as drive letters are assigned to both partitions, when plugged into the computer you will have access to both partitions.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/42285-how-partition-1tb-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello,

I have windows 7 home premium 32 bit. I got a new WD Elements 2.5 TB external hard drive. The laptop detected it perfectly and it showed about ~2.25 TB space. The problem came when I tried to partition it into two partition, one 1.75 TB and other ~500 GB. I tried windows 7 data management. When I shrunk the volume to make first 1.7 TB partition it made it correctly but it created two ~250 GB un-allocated partitions. Then I created one partition from first un-allocated space and tried to extend it but it is not giving me an option to extend it. Also it is not allowing me to create another partition from remaining ~250 GB partition.

I tried EASEUS partition manager but it shows whole external hard drive as unsupported.

Can anyone help me with it please?

Regards,
Alex

A:2.5 TB External Hard Drive Partition

paragon software's partition manager is the only one I know of that handles usb externals properly.
Paragon Software: Download free partition software for home

...it's not a free one though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/173394-2-5-tb-external-hard-drive-partition.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi MSDN member Primary OS is Windows but I need to install a Windows partition for testing I've followed threads dealing with others also having problems but they've not solved mine I've several SATA and one SSD HDD Windows is installed on SSD I'm trying to install W update from msdn supplied ISO burned to DVD onto an empty TB HDD I've unplugged a couple of USB install W7 partition drive partition. problems on Disk won't flash drives Checked that AHPI or whatever it's called for my SATA drives is turned on Had safe boot off and on Checked it's MBR partition and not GPT I've also run through the installation problems W7 won't install on partition. Disk drive partition problems thread When I get to the pictured screen I select the empty disk and attempt to set it up but nothing happens when I press Apply and I get the following message when I press the next button I've never had problems like this before and don't know what else I can try to fix it https www dropbox com s jfluu o w png dl

A:W7 won't install on partition. Disk drive partition problems

If the 2TB drive is empty (not used) then delete all the partitions until it's just unallocated space, then click Next to start the install. The installer will create the partitions it needs then do the install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/371058-w7-wont-install-partition-disk-drive-partition-problems.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi there!

First of all, I am a noob, so don't be too evil

I have installed a new windows 7 on my laptop (in D: ), but there is still the old win 7 (in C: ). I want to delete C: (there are only programs and virus in it ) but it is the system partition. Can I do it? If not, what can I do to delete or at least format C:? I want that 100GB of space in D: and not in C:

(I have no CD reader in this laptop)

A:NOOB: Move system partition to a different partition on the SAME disk

Quote:
I have installed a new windows 7 on my laptop (in D: ), but there is still the old win 7 (in C: ). I want to delete C:

If your intention was to delete/format "C", why did you installed OS on the second partition ?. You could simply format the first partition and use it during the install.

Since there is no data to be saved, i would recommend a clean install as per this guide - Clean Install Windows 7

Basically you boot from the install disk, delete all existing partitions, create two partitions ( one for OS and other for data ) and choose first partition for install. If your OS is retail version, use the key for net based auto activation.

If your Windows is OEM, please follow this guide - Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7
It is possible to format the "C" and run "Startp Repair" from install disc to fix the boot but it is always better to install and keep OS on the first partition. A clean install will also help you reclaim the space occupied by the 15 GB partition ( probably OEM recovery ).

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/337479-noob-move-system-partition-different-partition-same-disk.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I have a hard disk that the Disk Management diagram shows 4 partitions left to right:

110mb Healthy (OEM Partition) / 10GB Healthy Active Primary / OS (F) 136.44GB (Healthy

Primary Partition / 2.50 GB (Healthy Primary Partition)

(see screenshot)

I tried reformatting it but the reformat window would only allow the reformat of the OS partition

How do I reformat this disk to use its total 150 GB of space instead of the 136GB of storage it currently allows?

Thanks for your help

A:How to reformat a 4 partition disk to create 1 partition for storage

I would suggest you to use Partition Wizard Bootable CD .

For deleting all partitions of disk1 : Help on how to Delete All Partitions with partition manager - Partition Wizard?

For creating a new partition there : Create Partition help of partition software - Partition Wizard.

(all the links contains a video guide , at the bottom of the pages content. )

Alternatively, using disk management :

you can delete all the partitions : Partition or Volume - Delete

And create a new one : Partition or Volume - Create New

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/240297-how-reformat-4-partition-disk-create-1-partition-storage.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi to all seven forums.
I bought a new 1tb hard disk, and I connected it to my pc as slave, and when I creating the partition in windows seven disk management and right click to creates new partition, it had four option.
1. simple volume
2. spanned volume
3. stripped volume
4. mirrored volume.
plz tell me quickly which option will I click for creating partition..
I want this partitions..
C: 30gb
D:30gb
and the remaining space is equally divided to 3 partition..
plz hurry guys..
I m waiting and stick on this..

A:Need quick help about new hard disk partition on win 7 disk management

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Screenshot tools.
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
Screenshot with Paint
Screenshot and Upload using MWSnap
fscapture free download

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/168044-need-quick-help-about-new-hard-disk-partition-win-7-disk-management.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Well! I have purchased a new Dell laptop with windows 8 already installed. They have already made drive c not rest of the drives. Now! how can I create my own desired partitions? I didn't get any windows 8 DVD with it.

A:Hard disk Partition

As long as you can shrink the partition in disk management ypu wont have a problem creating another partition with the unallocated space created from the shrink.

If your unable to you might try a linux boot cd to do it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/273524-hard-disk-partition.html
Relevancy 83.85%

i have two hard disks in my computer and when i try to open the secondary hard disk a message will come up saying i have to format it but i dont want to cause i have heaps of stuff on there.

A:hard disk partition

Is this something that just happened? Can you give a little more background? Which OS are you running? How are the drives connected?
Have you looked at the drive in Disk Management?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-partition.57608/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi I have windows operating partition hard disk system running hard disk partition on my laptop I am planning to install windows vista as second operating system in different drive I have drives C GB and D GB If I need to install windows vista in D drive I need to increase its capacity to atleast GB C drive has empty space of GB My questions are The maximum shrink volume for C drive is gb Why doesn't it allow me to shrink more than gb when I have enough empty space in C drive Please let me know of any instructions to shrink it to more volume If you see the attachment of JPEG image on left i have D drive which hard disk partition volume has to increase C drive is on right hard disk partition When I shrink C the volume of unallocated space is shifted to right How to merge D drive volume with the unallocated space volume If I ca shrink c drive to more than volume the i can delete D drive by which my problem ca be resolved Incase if I cannot shrink C to more than gb I need to find a way to merge D drive volume with the unallocated space volume Please do give a clear instructions on how to proceed and do't forgot to see the attachment which helps in showing the drive locations

What you want to do is unnecessarily difficult with Windows disk management.

Use this;

Best FREE Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 32 bit & 64 bit. EASEUS free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

and it is quite easy.

However, I would question the value of using a single drive in this manner.

Regards....Mike Connor

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/158854-hard-disk-partition.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a computer running Windows Vista and I was able to do a partition myself, withouth the use of any software (I've seen other threads about using software to do so, but actually it is very easy to do without any software).

But know I would like to know what's the best way to manage the computer. Is it better to keep the OS and the programs in one drive and the data in another? Or have three drives and separate the OS and the programs as well? One of the partitions, where the OS is store, is 85GB, I guess Windows Vista doesn't need so much space, so if necessary I could partition that drive.

I really appreciate your thoughts here, I want to start doing the right thing from the begining.

Thanks a lot,
Maria

A:Best way to partition a hard disk?

Bear in mind the OS is 16 gb alone. Personally I no longer bother with multiple partitions because it is easier to make backup image files of one drive and place them on another...same is true for image and file backups. Also safer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-way-to-partition-a-hard-disk.656673/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi All

I am confused about how much I should keep the partition in my new laptop, the reason is, I feel that disk partition do affects the system speed, I do not know whether I am correct or not.

I have a 700 GB hard disk presently with Win-7 Installed, I do not know how to do the partition when windows is installed, during installation I was unable to do the partition because 'new' button was disable.

I hope there is some way to do the partition after installing win-7. Please help tell the way to do the partition, also tell how many partition is optimum with what size.

regards
Pankaj

A:What is the best Hard disk partition ?

Hi,

Use Partition Wizard to create/modify partitions. There isn't really an optimal number of partitions - it depends entirely on how you choose to use them. Read this tutorial that explains how you use Partition Wizard:

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/250042-what-best-hard-disk-partition.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I have recently purchased HP laptop pre loaded with windows home basic 7.HDD 500Gb, It is currently partioned c drive 450 Gb and D drive 50 Gb, i want to make C drive 50 Gb and rest i want to split in other two drives for my movies and personal stuff.

A:Hard disk Partition

Make and use the Partition Wizard Bootable CD.

Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to manage partition directly with partition manager bootable CD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/246234-hard-disk-partition.html
Relevancy 83.85%

can anyone help please....presently i am having only one drive which is having 900gb while doing partition i am not able to get extend partition option for windows7

HELLO VEERREDDY,

WHICH OPERATINGSYSTEM ARE YOU USED?
FOR WINDOWS 7 AND VISTA CHECKOUT THIS LINKS

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/partition-hard-drive-windows-7.htm

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262615-hard-disk-partition.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hello...

I currently would like to install Linux in my computer, but I would not want to trash my Windows 98 away because most of my games are compatible with Windows. So, I would like to know if there a way I could share a hard drive with 2 OS's, and how would I do it? Is there a good program out there that could handle this procedure automatically?

I really appreciate for your help in advanced.

Sincerely,
J. Jarut

A:Hard Disk Partition

Sure, you can have a dual boot system, I would recommend using Partition Magic. It's a non-destructive partitioning app that will take your free space and part it out so the your linux can live happily. Just don't use FDISK.. it will wipe your drive out.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-partition.32230/
Relevancy 83.85%

I have some unallocated space and want to add the volume to drive C. But I am unable to extend the volume as the 'extend volume' option has been greyed out. Kindly suggest how can I extend the volume to C drive. I am using Windows 8 single language 64bit OS.

Solved!
View Solution.

There are differnet reasons for Extend Volume Grayed outBelow are few situations where a "Extend Volume" will not work:1.If there is no unallocated or free space on hard disk or the space is not contiguous and after the partition which needs extending.2.Users want to extend a primary partition, but there is just a free space right after the target partition.3.if the partition is not a NTFS partition. As per Microsoft extending volume feature in Disk Management only works to a raw or NTFS partition.Try using MiniTool Partition Wizard which can help you with the issue.http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Free-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.htmlRegardsSATISHP4 Click " Thumb's up " icon if the question is answered/resolved.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hard-disk-partition/td-p/5695731
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi all,

Today i bought a hp v3000 laptop. i installed vista ultimatum.

There is 160GB HDD in C: 141GB and in D: 8GB

i need to partition my hard disk into 3 disk C:, D:, E:,

In c: 60GB, in D: 50GB and in E: 50GB

Please guide me how can i partition my hard disk as above mentioned.

Thanx in advance

A:Hard Disk Partition?

The 8 gB D: partition is likely to be your recovery partition - and you don't want to mess with that. I would also leave it as the D: partition in case the system recognizes the D: partition as the restore partition.

To partition the rest of the drive, you'll need a 3rd party utility (such as Partition Magic) to do this. You cannot do this from within Windows because Windows is using the partition and won't allow it to be changed. Partition Magic (and the others like it) will allow you to setup the partitions in Windows and the reboot for the changes actually to be made.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/110682/hard-disk-partition/
Relevancy 83.85%

As long as I am asking questions I might as well ask a couple ...

Is there a way to partition the primary disk on a computer without reformatting? A computer that I inherited (HP Pavillion) has a 120Gb hard drive partitioned into two sections ...

C drive 104Gb NTFS primary
D drive 7Gb FAT32 recovery

I would like to split the primary into two sections, if possible without reformatting. Any reliable way?

-woof-
Blue Dog

A:Partition Hard Disk

The D drive is your System recovery and you will have to use a 3rd Party software such as Partition Magic to split the C drive. This will probably cause your recovery not to work if you need it. Did this HP come with any CD's? Like a Recovery CD? I wouldn't attempt it if you don't have a way to re-install the O/S.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-hard-disk.452849/
Relevancy 83.85%

hello i am a new member.i have sony vaio laptop.i though to partition hard disk.it had 500gb memory.but the problem is when i did partition by disk management. it aloowed me only to partition 226 gb space.so now in my e drive there is 226 gb n in c drive 227gb space.actually i want to keep in c drive 100 gb.and make another drive of 100gb but whenever i try to shrink it doesnot allow to extend.i tried partition software.it did the software booted and my laptop kept on showing boot manager missing.and i again made it by taking whole day.i am really confused about what to do.i am afraid to use partition software because it may again boot my laptop and cause me again the same problem while using disk management. it does not allow to shrink.plz help....

A:how to partition hard disk

Normally when you edit partitions on your disks it formats them. I hope you have a copy of your OS handy.

It sounds like you wiped your hdd(s) because you were messing around with the partitions.

My opinion: Use your OS install disk to edit the partitions how you would like & reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/236887-how-partition-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 83.85%

my laptop has windows 7 o.s..
i cant see d,e drive ,it only shows c drive.
how to partition d hard disk.

A:about hard disk partition

Welcome aboard, abdengi

Can you post a screenshot of your full screen disk management window for us, so that we can see the situation ?

Right click on your computer icon, chose "manage", it will open the "computer management " window . Make the window full screen and click on the "disk management " link on the left hand pane, so it will show the listing of your disks. Take a snip of the window using snipping tool, and post.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/246065-about-hard-disk-partition.html
Relevancy 83.85%

The operation I selected will convert basic disk(s) to dynamic disk(s). If you convert the disk(s) to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed OS from any volume on the disk(s) (except the current boot volume). Do you wish to continue?" I pressed yes. I was again prompted an error:"Dynamic disks are not selected on this OS or server configuration. Dynamic disks are not supported by clusters."Please let me know what should I do? I want to partition C: I also want to know how to increase the partition size of the partitioned size?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-disk-Partition/td-p/5779020
Relevancy 83.85%

hi its sahil dhooria
recently i hav purchased HP pavilion dv6 having windows7 as its OS ,bt i am not satisfied with the partition of space in hard disk among the three drives.
now i want to knowhow to do partition in it without formatting it......

A:partition in hard disk

Quote: Originally Posted by sahil dhooria

hi its sahil dhooria
recently i hav purchased HP pavilion dv6 having windows7 as its OS ,bt i am not satisfied with the partition of space in hard disk among the three drives.
now i want to knowhow to do partition in it without formatting it......

Go to the Orb search box and type in "create and format " There will be an option at the top to "create and format hard disk partitions".

Click on that and your hard drives, with their current partitions, will show up. Select the drive/partition you want to change and right click on the partition. One of the options will be to shrink the partition.

At this point you can change the size.

There are third party utilities that will also partition the drives and re-arrange the data at the same time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/67069-partition-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 83.85%

i am helping a friend partition an external WD 500GB drive...i've never partitioned an external, usb drive before...so i need some help..

the drive is FAT32 formatted..he'd like to make it 2 - 250GB NTFS partitions...so, if he goes into Computer Mgt does he first Delete Volume, then set up the partitions in the unallocated space, creating 2 partitions?

any guidance is appreciated....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-partition-on-vista.666382/
Relevancy 83.85%

I have a new WD Essential 1TB external hard drive. I intend to use the drive for photos and backing up my C drive. First, I need to reformat the drive to NTFS. Should I also partition the drive? The procedure for partitioning seems simple enough, but I don't really understand the pros and cons (if any) of partitioning. Any recommendations? Number of partitions? Sizes? Thanks.

A:Solved: External Hard Drive - Should I Partition?

For the most part, unless you have an organizational need or desire for partitioning, one big partition is fine. I did have one situation where I had to partition a 1.5 TB drive into 500 GB each but that was because the networked media player I use could only see partitions of 500 GB or less.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-hard-drive-should-i-partition.851991/
Relevancy 83.85%

Would like to have - gig sections partitions in my WD gig external USB 320 re-partition Solved: How gig drive hard WD to external hard drive FAT but can t figure out how to do this Used Partition Magic from my lt Reference to illegal software removed gt to partition my regular gig hard drive in half half is NTSF Backup half is FAT wasn t that hard to figure out Used Ghost to make a complete backup of my C drive in case I screwed something up burned an ISO file first I m running Windows Pro with SP However nothing on that lt Reference to illegal software removed gt disk will recognize my WD external drive period Partition Magic won t show it Solved: How to re-partition WD 320 gig external hard drive Norton Ghost doesn t see it either Solved: How to re-partition WD 320 gig external hard drive It s a Western Digital quot My Book quot drive just plugs into one of my USB ports Windows has no problem seeing it and my BIOS sees it too Now I m stumped probably cause I m not Solved: How to re-partition WD 320 gig external hard drive very experienced with this Have looked on the Internet a great deal but what I ve found is how to do this in XP which doesn t do me any good Can y all help please Thanks in advance hip God made the world and he rested God made man and he rested Then God made woman since then neither God nor man has rested nbsp

Relevancy 83.85%

So I want to partition my 1.5 tera hard drive so I can get it to work on both my PC and PS3. What I want to do is to partition 50 gigs of it so I can format that with FAT32 so i can install programs onto it. The rest I want to be normal so can you tell me what to do I can get to disk managment fine its that i don't know what to do after that. any help is apreciated and thank you very much.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/b-u-partition-external-hard-drive-on-vista-u-b-376966.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I recently purchased a 3TB external hard drive. While using the disk management tool in Windows I created unallocated space intended to be used for a partition. The system wouldn't allow me to create the partition continually showing an error message that MBR drives are limited to the first 2TB of space available. My question is two fold: How do I return the unallocated space to the primary partition on the disk? How do I then add the secondary partition?

Relevancy 83.85%

Hello, I have a problem resizing NTFS partitions on my external hard drive. First I tried to shrink one of the partitions using the Disk Manager utility in Windows 7 (I thought that I can resize the other one to the unallocated space using the 'expand' functionality), and later also tried EASEUS Partition Master. Both seem to have trouble with the first step, which is reduction of the space on the first partition (700 GB -> 250 GB), as both programs simply get stuck. (I let it run for 4 hours before giving up). I also tried runnig checkdisk to see if some sectors of the partition are not damaged, but it didn't help. I would really appreciate any hint as to how to solve this problem, or a recommendation about which alternative software to try. Thank you.

A:Resizing a partition on an external hard drive

I use Partition Wizard
Free Download Partition Wizard

Can you post a screenshot of your disk management?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/60104-resizing-partition-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I have a 1 TB hard drive that is being used a lot. The format is NTFS or FATS, (sorry if those are not spelt correctly) windows hard drive. Anyways - there is like 400 gig spare. Can I simply go in and use gparted or something similiar and make a partition for a linux backup (which is ext4)

(I know this is a windows forum but u guys are the best! You are all v informed)

So basically from your experience if I do this is there a strong chance that the data on the drive will be hosed if I introduce a linux partition?

Thanks a lot

A:Can I create a partition in a (used) external hard drive?

Yes indeed. If you don't have an internal hard drive portable case, just power off your computer, hold the power button in for a minute to discharge all electricity, open the case, plug the older hard drive into the IDE or SATA cable for a secondary hard drive, (keep the case open to watch all fans), plug in the power cable, press the power button. The system will see the old hard drive and assign it a driver and may want to reboot; that's OK. Now after reboot, go to Windows Manager (Right click computer, choose Manage). Choose Disk Management, point at the older hard drive, right click your mouse and choose Format. When prompted, choose NTFS and format the entire disk. When it's done.....voila! You now have a second internal hard drive that you can use for backing up an Image of your C: Drive (Highly Recommended) and for storing all kinds of files like music, videos etc. rather than keeping them on the C: Drive and filling it up. (see image)

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/125962-can-i-create-partition-used-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hey,
I have an Eternal Hard Drive (Transcend), partitioned. I want to set a password for a specfic partion (not for the whole hard drive)!
any one can help! or refer to a useful tutorial.

PS: TSElite was installed on the hard drive, if it is of any use!

A:External Hard Drive - set password for a partition

Check this link: Create Password Protected Hard Drive Partition

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/204891-external-hard-drive-set-password-partition.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi everyone I've just read an article which explains how to back up my system to an external hard drive Backup Restore in drive Hard External need do Backing to - up i to partition? Windows External Hard Drive Computer Insurance I have a TB external with files alread on it I was just wondering do i need to partition the hard drive or can i just create a folder Also just to check If i complete this back up onto my external and then create the system repair disc will I be able to completely reinstall windows and drivers I recently tried to create a dual boot with windows and ubuntu on two seperate hard drives It worked but I had to have the Backing up to External Hard drive - do i need to partition? unbuntu hard drive plugged in to be able to boot the windows drive windows wouldnt boot at all without the unbuntu hard drive plugged in I worried that if the ubuntu Backing up to External Hard drive - do i need to partition? drive died its quite old then I would never be able to get back into windows So I now have a fresh instalation of windows Professional that work put on my machine However I want to try and create and dual boot again but if I mess it up this time i'd like to be able to sort it out myself Would doing this back up and disc enable me to do so Thanks Soph

A:Backing up to External Hard drive - do i need to partition?

I will assume you are talking about Windows imaging as opposed to file/folder backup.
In one partition root Windows will recognize an image folder called WindowsImageBackup. If you create another partition you could have another WindowsImageBackup. Alternatively, you can rename or move (within a partition) WindowsImageBackup to a different folder. As long as what you move and/or rename to WindowsImageBackup in a partition root, a Windows system repair disk boot should recognze it. See these tutorials
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
System Image Recovery
Many people prefer this third party imaging program which is more flexible
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download
I use both.

A system image restore will restore everything you need. It is a snapshot of when you made it. You can even restore it to a new HDD if your current one fails.

Re Ubuntu dual boot it sounds like you are booting Windows through the Ubuntu HDD = bad idea.
Post a full Disk Management Screenshot
Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/244089-backing-up-external-hard-drive-do-i-need-partition.html
Relevancy 82.99%

i was on disk management on my computer and i right clicked on my portable harddrive and accidently clicked delete partition how do i fix this. my hardrive wont show up in my computer or disk management so i cant partition it. i dont need to recover the data i already have it all backed up.

A:I accidently deleted the partition from my external hard drive

Unplug and re plug in the external drive while you are in Disk Management and see if an unknown device appears. You can also leave it plugged in and restart you computer. Do you get the "bing, Bong" USB connection sounds?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-accidently-deleted-the-partition-from-my-external-hard-drive.133899/
Relevancy 82.99%

One - Table Partition External Hard Drive Repair of my TB NTFS external hard drives was dying and I just finished cloning it onto a new TB external hard drive with the use of dd-rescue in Linux The problem is now that I boot back into Windows x the filesystem on the Repair Partition Table - External Hard Drive drive is not recognized Windows just gives the following errors I assume ddrescue just failed to copy over the partition table correctly so I tried to use testdisk to fix it It detected one partition on the drive so I set it to Primary and tried writing the table It did not change anything though Here is the testdisk log Code Sat Nov Command line TestDisk TestDisk -WIP Data Recovery Utility October Christophe GRENIER lt email protected gt http www cgsecurity org OS Windows SP Compiler GCC Cygwin Compilation date - - T ext fs lib ntfs lib Repair Partition Table - External Hard Drive reiserfs lib -rc ewf lib disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sda disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdb disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdc disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sdd disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO dev sde disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO PhysicalDrive disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO C filewin getfilesize D GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer D SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for D disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO G filewin getfilesize H GetFileSize err Incorrect function filewin setfilepointer H SetFilePointer err Incorrect function Warning can't get size for H disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO I disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO L disk get size win IOCTL DISK GET LENGTH INFO N Hard disk list Disk dev sda - GB GiB - CHS sector size - Hitachi HDT SLA S N d b FW ST OA B Disk dev sdb - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD Ext HDD S N WCAZA FW Disk dev sdc - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD EAVS External S N WD-WCAU FW Disk dev sdd - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD Ext HDD S N WCC T FW Disk dev sde - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD Ext HDD S N WMAZA FW Disk PhysicalDrive - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD Ext HDD S N WCC T FW Drive L - GB GiB - CHS sector size - WD Ext HDD S N WCC T FW TestDisk exited normally For some reason the TB hard drive the dying one was copied to is appearing on the list of drives three times It is both GB ones of course and the Drive L one that says it is TB seems to be the one that was copied onto it I have the original dying hard drive disconnected though I have no idea what is going on and am way over my head trying to mess with partitions The data is definitely all on the drive as testdisk lets me copy individual files off it onto other drives fine Can anyone help me get this drive working nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,

Sorry if this has been treated somewhere else, but I cannot find a suitable answer anywhere. I have a used trascend external HD and am trying to partition it to make it NTFS so that I can create and store on it the system image of my computer.

I have plenty of free space, but when I right click on it, in Windows Disk Management, the option 'shrink volume' is greyed out and am not able to partition the drive .

I do not want to format the whole drive as I've got an older version of Windows that might not recognise the files (am I correct in thinking this?).

Any advice really appreciated

Thanks,

Lucia

A:External Hard drive cannot shrink volume to partition

Quote: Originally Posted by fairgrace

Sorry if this has been treated somewhere else,

Well, this probably belongs in the "hardware" forum where disk drive and partition questions normally go, but I'll respond here. An admin may move this thread to the "hardware" forum later.

Quote:
I have a used trascend external HD and am trying to partition it to make it NTFS so that I can create and store on it the system image of my computer.

I have plenty of free space, but when I right click on it, in Windows Disk Management, the option 'shrink volume' is greyed out and am not able to partition the drive .

Can you please post a screenshot from Diskmgmt.msc, maximized and with columns spread so the text contents in each column are readable in the screenshot.

Once you post this screenshot, we can recommend a proper course of action or suggest a possible "recipe" that might work, or maybe ask more questions.
As an excellent alternative to Windows Disk Management, I suggest you try Partition Wizard... either standalone boot CD or using the installed program under Win7. PW should have no problem dealing with this drive, and being able to resize partitions, format partitions to NTFS, or if necessary being able to "delete all partitions" and then you can "create partition" and format to NTFS, etc.

Partition Wizard can be used to do anything Diskmgmt can do, and more. It also has a standalone boot CD which can be used for more significant drive/partition work... involving the OS's C-partition... which cannot be completed while actually running under Windows but which must be done at re-boot time (or using the standalone boot CD for PW).

You can get [free] Partition Wizard Home Edition v5.2 from here.

You can download the ISO for the standalone boot CD from here, and then use something like [free] IMGBURN (which you can get from here) to burn the ISO to CD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/161926-external-hard-drive-cannot-shrink-volume-partition.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I want to merge the 2 partition(F and G drive)
And How can i recover the Lenovo Softwares if the OEM Reserved is on the External Hard Drive.

My External Hard Drive is the Hard Drive of my laptop before.

A:How to merge partition and use the OEM reserved on External Hard Drive

First you want to back up all of your data. Never play with partitions without doing this first.

The OEM partition could be imaged (using disk imaging software) to back it up and save it, but I wonder if it would work from an external drive? It would have been better to use the utility to burn recovery CDs of that partition while it was still in the laptop.

Then, to make this easy, you want to get a copy of Partition Wizard for bootable CD. (This is because Windows Disk management will only work to the right, it won't expand partitions to the left).

Using Partition Wizard you will delete Test F: and then expand H: to the left into that now unallocated space.
Since it is only 199MB you could just stop there. But if you wanted to add that to G: you could.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/289424-how-merge-partition-use-oem-reserved-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Ok here s the deal I ve just purchased an Acomdata GB external hard drive It comes preformated with TWO partitions - one is the CD Section which takes just something like that MB and is used to house installation files for applications having to do with the HD and the other one is the HD Section which is the whole HD minus the previous MB The CD Section partition is according to Acomdata impossible to delete or alter This initially annoyed me but I m basically ok with it as long as I can format partition the rest of the HD Magic And External 8 Partition Acomdata Hard Drive however I want Now both of the initial partitions are FAT and that s where the real problem lies I want to split the HD Section partition into two partitions with one being about GB NTFS and the other being the rest of the space FAT I need the NTFS partition so that I can transfer files bigger than GB which can t be done Partition Magic 8 And Acomdata External Hard Drive on FAT and I need the FAT partition so that I can still transfer files between a PC and a Mac So I started up Partitionmagic so that I could reformat partition the Partition Magic 8 And Acomdata External Hard Drive external hard drive the way I Partition Magic 8 And Acomdata External Hard Drive wanted it but where the information for the external hard drive is supposed to be in partitionmagic it just says Bad If I try to create a new partition or re-format the exisiting partition or anything else having to do with that drive I get error messages What s the deal nbsp

A:Partition Magic 8 And Acomdata External Hard Drive

You may have to go into Windows Disk Management and cleanup the whole disk, then use PM to format the larger FAT32 partition. I suspect the "CD Section" is done with non-standard formatting and/or partitioning, and is the issue here.

If that doesn't work, I'd take the drive out of the enclosure and run a disk ZAPPER on it, then partition and format it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-magic-8-and-acomdata-external-hard-drive.535934/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi folks From searching the forum I've found a few threads describing a similar problem but no solutions that work for partition drive USB hard on Problem mounting external my case I have a USB hard drive which has two partitions x GB partition formatted as FAT x GB partition formatted as Problem mounting partition on USB external hard drive NTFS these sizes aren't perfectly correct but it's a TB drive that's split in proportions On my Windows laptop both partitions are visible in My Computer and I can read write with no problems On the same laptop an Ubuntu install can also see and use them perfectly On my new Windows laptop the GB FAT patition appears under My Computer normally but the GB NTFS partition does not If I go to Computer - gt Manage - gt Disk Management I can see the partition It has no drive letter or file system listed reports as quot healthy primary partition quot and Problem mounting partition on USB external hard drive shows free space If I right click on the drive's entry in the list my only options are quot delete partition quot and quot help quot everything else is greyed out Problem mounting partition on USB external hard drive So to summarise One hard drive with two partitions Both partitions work perfectly in Win and Ubuntu Win can only see the FAT partition and treats the NTFS partition as if it is junk Can anyone suggest a way to persuade Win to mount this partition I know that the drive and partition are fine but for some reason Win isn't interested

A:Problem mounting partition on USB external hard drive

Is that 900GB drive blank? or does it have data on it?

If its blan,k delete the partition and recreate it under windows 8.

Is that drive in a dock or enclosure? How old is it?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/24962-problem-mounting-partition-usb-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 82.99%

hi, i obtained an external 20gb hard drive a while ago as extra portable storage. a friend helped me at that time and partitioned it into 2 drives approximately 10gb each. now, i have decided it would be more convenient to have just 1 large drive of 20gb. is there a simple way to reformat the 2 hard drives and combine them into 1 20gb hard drive. i have winxp home version. the external 20gb hard drive is connected to my computer via a usb connection.

jj

Relevancy 82.99%

I want to reformat an existing external HD for backup. Currently it has 3 partitions:
1 x Primary NTFS; 1 x Free Space; 1 x Logical NTFS.
Can someone please advise how to reformat this into a single NTFS partition? I'm running Win7.

A:How do I Reformat Multi Partition External Hard Drive

If there's no data on the drive that needs to be saved, just go into Disk Management and remove the partitions, until you have a blank, unallocated drive. Then create a new, solid partition for the entire drive.

I don't mess with extended and logical partitions, but you may have to delete the logical first, then the primary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234952-how-do-i-reformat-multi-partition-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hard drive: WD Caviar GP WD7500AAVS-00D7B0
Enclosure says WD Elements on barcode
Capacity: 750 GB

Windows Vista Home Premium
2 GB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core Processor (1.8GHz, 2x256 KB L2 cache)

Windows asks to reformat it.
TestDisk ran into an error partway through a deep scan.
Partition Table Doctor says total number of sectors on harddisk 1, partition 1 is 292096000. Correct number is 292109895. Offers to correct it.

And thank you to everyone who aided me in my previous 'help me' thread.

A:Want to fix external hard drive with partition table\MBR issue.

I've had some issues with 2 different Western Digital MyBook external drives where Windows offers to reformat it.

I ripped the case open and removed the hard drive. Then hooked it up with my USB slave device and everything was OK. I'm starting to suspect that there's a problem with the circuitry in the casing that causes this.

I would suggest removing the hard drive from the casing (if it's out of warranty) to see if you can recover the data that way. If it's still in warranty, I'd suggest contacting Western Digital to see what can be done to recovery your data before getting it repaired/replaced under warranty.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/want-to-fix-external-hard-drive-with-partition-table-mbr-issue-422438.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,

I'm trying to recover lost partition and files from external USB hard drive (Maxtor Portable 250GB).
I'm using disk Internals sofitware and the software finds the files, but when I try to save them on the drive, each time I get a watchdog, or another BOSD error.

Here are the dumps.
Attachment 44121

Thanks in andvance.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
P

A:BSOD, trying to recover lost partition from external hard

Sorry for the delay in responding. There just aren't that many people who do BSOD analysis, so at times we get a bit overwhelmed!

Do your still need help with this problem?
I will be notified if you reply to this topic and will respond within 48 hours.

Start with these diagnostics on the USB hard drive: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure
If the hard drive is dead/dying, this could easily be the cause of the BSOD's

I like the GetDataBack software from Data Recovery - Data Recovery Software - RAID Recovery - NAS Data Recovery
It's free to see what you can recover, but it costs $80 (last I checked) to actually recover it.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/47296-bsod-trying-recover-lost-partition-external-hard.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out here I have a strange situation I'm running Windows and I a external an partition Problem hard accessing drive on have an external hard drive that won't let me access GB or so of its TB The drive mounts about GB and the rest is nowhere to be found If I go into Disk Manager I can see both of them the GB reads as K FAT healthy active and Problem accessing a partition on an external hard drive primary Problem accessing a partition on an external hard drive partition while the other reads as healthy and primary partition no letter or anything else If I right-click it my only options are delete volume and help It's brand new and the GB has nothing on it Here's the catch it's not my hard drive This hard drive actually has to go back to a Mac user NOT a Windows user to reiterate I've only got so long with this thing and I have to put some files on it How can I make this GB usable for me so I can put files on it and then usable for a Mac user I'll provide any information you need Thanks

A:Problem accessing a partition on an external hard drive

the mac part is what got me to my answer, it is because that 900GB partition most likely in format mac os journaled and not seeable by windows at all and never will be it has to be fat 32, NTFS (which a mac can't write too without special drivers), or ExFAT which if you are sure that there is nothing on it then you can delete the whole partition setup of it and format the whole thing to ExFat as that is something mac and windows can read and write too.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/37317-problem-accessing-partition-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,

I'm already using 40 GB hard disk (10GB for OS). I thought to increase the space as 160 GB. How to partition the 160 GB (4 drives)?

And shall we merge that 40 GB as one drive and leave all 40 GB for OS?

Pls suggest me good idea.

Thanks&Regards
Vishanth

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-and-merging-hard-disk.792769/
Relevancy 82.99%

Good morning My operation system is windows XP When I am under Windows I can see that I have hard drives - the C around GB total GB used - the F around GB total GB used A friend gave me disks to partition these Problem Disk Hard Partition two hard disks My plan was to extend the C drive to GB and to have the F drive at GB When I started the partition program I figure out that my C drive was not expendible for whatever reason maybe it s lock like that or maybe it s physicals diferent disks Also I was able to expend the F drive to GB So I tried to expend the F drive to GB At this point the program asked me to re-boot my computer to save the changes made on the F drive I tried to do it but my computer didn t re-boot it stoped with an error message saying quot NTLDR Missing quot I would apreciate any help on this Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Partition Hard Disk Problem

Vieurals,

Do you know what program you were using??? It might be important.

Please clarify if we are talking about 1 or 2 PHYSICAL disk drives.

Check out this article for a solution step-by-step:

http://www.bestpricecomputers.ltd.uk/freehelp/ntldr_missing.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-hard-disk-problem.279518/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hard Disk - One Partition Unaccessible...!!!

Hi

I have attached three hard disks and have booted from one hard disk...but why one of
partition (partition J ) of another hard disk is not getting accessed from the hard disk
from which i have booted.

Normally i was able to access it in the past. Restarted but does not help. Also when I try
to access the same partition J by booting from its own hard disk; its accessible; this
means there is nothing wrong in partition J.

Any idea / suggestion as to how i can access partition J data while being booted from
another hard disk.

Thanks for ur anticipated help.

Best Regards

sunandoghosh

sunandoghosh at gmail dot com

p.s. The relevant screenshots are attached below:

A:Hard Disk - One Partition Unaccessible...!!!

Looking at your disk management screen, I'd venture that it needs to be formatted.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-one-partition-unaccessible.503633/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi i am installed using w7 ultimate 32bit now. i tried to partition the extended hard disk in my new pc but it shows the error as " no available memory to partition on your computer" so what i do, still there is 215GB of free space with good health.

A:Error in partition of hard disk

Are you trying to Dual boot.
Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/160272-error-partition-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 82.99%

My Hard disk is having capacity of 465GB.I made two partitions
C drive with 304GB and E Drive with 146GB using Disk Management in windows 7 and by default it is having two drives which are Recovery and Health.
I tried to make another partition from C drive which is having 304Gb,so by using MiniTool Partition wizard i created another partition H drive of 150GB.The Process is completed and my computer restarted and when i opened my computer there is no H Drive partition i created and my C drive space is reduced to 146GB.I donot know how to recover it.Please help me to get my partition back.

I attached the screenshot of Disk Management

A:Hard disk Partition Problem

Did you restart your computer, can you see the partition in the Mini-tool software?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-disk-partition-problem-600377.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi friends I had HDD The st is a Gb SATA and the nd is a Gb Sata I was working with windows xp sp very well and wanted to try vista I had my st Hard disk i e gb as the primary n the nd as backup I had gb as primary partition and others Disk Vista Hard Partition drives in the logical in the extended partition for the st hdd with all as NTFS So i installed vista ultimate n worked fine crackng it no problems at all finally i gave my nd hdd for replacement tht gb and i created partition in vista as simple partitions with ntfs copied back all my backup in gb and finally got bugged by vistas poor Vista Hard Disk Partition performance so installed xp back on my st gb it works fine now no issues at Vista Hard Disk Partition all but the problem is im not able to access the Vista Hard Disk Partition gb its showing all the partitions as empty and its not unallocated xp is not able to identify tht partition i want the datas badly Should i need to install vista again in some other hdd so tht i can copy all data and repartition tht gb any solution so tht i can access the data in windows xp

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-hard-disk-partition-193579.html
Relevancy 82.99%

In Windows Vista, to partition the hard disk you go into "Computer Management", right click the disk and click "Shrink Volume". This creates a new partition of a selected size from the original partition.
If you want to merge two partitions, you right click the partition to be merged into and select "Extend Volume" and then select the partition to be deleted and added to the orginal.

My problem is I do not how to do this in Windows XP, there are not the same commands available in "Computer Management" in Windows XP.

How do I partition and merge separate partitions on my hard disk in Windows XP?

A:Solved: How to partition hard disk?

By using a 3rd party partitioning tool like Paragon partition manager or Partition Magic

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-partition-hard-disk.756587/
Relevancy 82.99%

hello every body a week ago i format my labtop and install new windows seven ultimate 32 bit to it i have 320 GB hard disk i divide it into two partitions 160000 MB and the other one is the remaining memory i install the windows seven in the first one now after completing i see only the partition where the windows installed and the other one did not appear i am wonder what can i do to see the second partition ?
my regards
sorry for bad spelling and bad English

A:can not see the second partition of my hard disk after formatting

Can you post a screen shot of your Disk Management? It's possible that the second partition is Unallocated space and needs to be changed to a Primary partition. A Disk Management screen shot would give a better idea of what's going on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/219324-can-not-see-second-partition-my-hard-disk-after-formatting.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Say your PC has only one partition with an OS, apps and data. Can you create additional partitions in the free space and then load in other OS(s) to have a multiboot PC and NOT LOOSE any existing stored info?

If so. than what's is the advantage of creating a VHD and then loading in a new OS to create a virtual PC? Why bother?

cognig - just thinking

A:partition vs virtual hard disk - VHD

You can create a secondary partition and install another OS on it. It's called dual-booting. Some thinks it's yesteryear's way of having two OSs. I think it's awesome.

VHD allows you to use VM (a application install on your OS) so you can have a second, third, fouth etc OS running on your current OS (just like have separate windows of OSs), instead of booting to a second OS as in dual-booting.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/60225-partition-vs-virtual-hard-disk-vhd.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Sorry and delete this thread if it is re post, but I searched and didn't find appropriate solution for my problem in our forum.
When I bought my laptop, there were only two drives C: and D:
who shared 500 GB equally.
Then I made the partition of my laptop's hard disk drives in to 4 parts during installation of windows 7 ultimate.
C: 30 GB
D: 98 GB
E: 105 GB
F: 232 GB

Now I want only two drives C:120 GB and D:380 GB
Is it possible ?
Please help me to do this

A:How to delete the hard disk partition

Hi, follow this tutorial to delete the partition
Partition or Volume - Delete

And this tutorial to extend the existing partitions Partition or Volume - Extend

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/274556-how-delete-hard-disk-partition.html
Relevancy 82.99%

At last, my new system is here:

Athlon XP 1900+
Windows XP Home
512Mb PC2100 SDRAM
100Gb HDD
64Mb Geforce 3 Ti+500 graphics
18" LG TFT monitor
Videologic Digitheatre 5.1 speakers

I've read it's a good idea to separate applications, windows, downloads, even MP3s, and the swapfile....and more!

Where do I start, how do I start? I'm anxious to keep this system pristine from day one, so I haven't installed a thing and am writing this from my sh*tty old P200.

Any advice gratefully received

Relevancy 82.99%

I recently ran Norton Systemworks on a relatively new PC with Vista and it reported the following Quote quot Error on hard disk -- MasterPartition Table is unreadable The Master Partition Table is physically damaged Norton Disk Doctor is unable to continue with repairs Correct this situation if you are unable to access partitions on hard disk quot quot Do you wish to correct this problem quot I chose yes and received the following Quote quot Only a low-level format will correct the error found Norton Disk Doctor cannot continue testing this disk quot Anyone else run into a similar problem or know the best way to fix it I'm not even sure what Hard disk refers to because there's just a C amp D drive on this HP Not sure what caused this issue The only thing I can come up with that I did in the past week was moving some old digital picture jpg files off CDR's onto this new computer Several files seemed to have trouble being read Thanks for Hard Disk Error Partition? 3 on any help or suggestions in advance

A:Error on Hard Disk 3 Partition?

Hi drgthang...try running chkdsk on each partition to see if that finds any errors. To perform a fairly quick read-only scan, please do the following:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
cmd
- Click OK
- This will launch your Command Prompt. At the flashing cursor type:
chkdsk c:
- Press Enter
- When the scan has finished note down the result (take a screenshot if it's easier) then type:
chkdsk d:
- Again, note down the results and let us know please

Also, do you if you have a recovery partition on your computer? To find out:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
diskmgmt.msc
- Click OK
- Take a screenshot of what you see and add it to your reply please.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/error-on-hard-disk-3-partition-338362.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I am re arranging my hard disk. I got a new external 80 G one. I would like to know if deleting the current internal hard disk partition, is there any danger to loose informations or is just a simple movement. This, because the cause of re arrangement is lack of space and if I dlete the partition I will be able to work more easy with the transferring, uninstalling and reintsalling programs in the external one. Many thanks and greetings

A:Delete Xp Hard Disk Partition

Hello,

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Would I be correct in saying that you would like to delete a partition on the hard drive inside your computer?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/151669/delete-xp-hard-disk-partition/
Relevancy 82.99%

I Would like to make a partition on my hard disk but its only allowing me to make one of 13GB in size. I have over a 100GB space on my hard disk so how can i make the partition bigger? Any help would be appreciated.

A:I Would like to make a partition on my hard disk

Use the Resize function on free Partition Wizard bootable CD which can resize System files not running at boot. It is the most valuable tool we use here in Install forum.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/190233-i-would-like-make-partition-my-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,
I've successfully installed both Win 7 and XP and able to boot into the selected OS of my choice.Thanks to you for this wonderful post.

However i'm not able to view/access one of my hard disk partitions which is showing as unallocated.

Appreciate your help.
Thnx

Yuvi

A:Hard Disk Partition not accessible

Hello Yuvi, and welcome to Seven Forums.

It looks like the partition was deleted. You can pick up at step 2 Method One in the tutorial below if you wanted to create a new partition with the unallocated space.

Partition or Volume - Create New

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/60813-hard-disk-partition-not-accessible.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello everybody to quickly sum up the problem I had two harddisk A and B A had partitions quot OS quot win and quot Programs quot and B had partition quot Files quot Harddisk A was the quot primary quot and quot system quot harddisk while B was just a quot logical quot i guess I still haven't really figured out what it means One day harddisk A crashed and went broken so i couldn't boot the OS anymore I put harddisk B into another computer and installed an OS on it on a new partition so that B now had partitions A was out of the picture - the disk/Partition Problem Hard programs on it were easy to reinstall anyway I put harddisk B back into my computer and booted it from the newly OS partition Here i found that my old files wasn't accessible in quot Disk management quot the partition with my files was now labelled quot RAW quot I didn't know what it Hard disk/Partition Problem meant so i just clicked Hard disk/Partition Problem quot create new partition quot but chose quot do not format quot and hoped that it would create something showing my files All it did was create a new inaccessible partition showing up in my quot Computer quot folder containing byte byte This partition has no quot Filesystem quot ntfs fat in disk management but its status is quot In order quot I have tried some different partition recovering softwares Chkdsk says quot unable to determine filesystem quot 'Testdisk' was too advanced for me to use It found some partititions and i thought it was the quot package of partitions quot i needed to restore but when i restored them it deleted my newly installed OS and didn't recover my partition quot Files quot so now i am back on my second computer Some of the recovery software CAN detect my files and wants to copy them to quot a specified folder quot but i have GB files and no more harddisks to back it up on There must be a way to restore my previous partition without needing to transfer the GB data to another harddisk My own idea is to delete this newly made partition quot logical drive quot since it has no filesystem and contains no data but the problem is that it says quot All data on this diskunit will be deleted quot and i do not know if that includes my quot hidden quot data Any ideas anything would be helpful

A:Hard disk/Partition Problem

Your files were originally on disk B in a partition named "Files".

Is that partition still visible in Disk Management or has it been overwritten or deleted?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/197239-hard-disk-partition-problem.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Need some advice My config - Amd Asus p ab Mboard mb ram gb seagate hdd operating system win I have partitioned my hard drive fdisk equally into C quot and D quot drive All my programs and important information is on the C quot drive and the games on the D drive Couple of months back I observed that the the D drive has developed bad sectors and in due course they multiplied since I am out of the warranty period I tried to get help from techguy and I was rightly advised to replace the drive since it would get bad eventually Now I am not using the home computer a lot and the D drive is empty the space of the C drive is good enough for me a friend advised me to delete the extended dos partition so that the D drive is totally out and I can use c drive as the only one I did an Fdisk and deleted the logical dos drive in the extended dos partition and then deleted the extended dos partition Now I have done this today just wanted your advice is it ok to do this My computer doesn t hang on booting as before due to the bad sectors I used to get a hard disk diagnosis fail error and I had to go into safe mode then again restart and on and on and no unnecessary resets or reboots required please advise nbsp

A:Hard disk Partition Query

If it allows you to boot up then it's obviously ok to do it but you need to seriously consider replacing the harddrive. If it's got bad sectors on one part of the drive, it's most likely only a matter of time before the drive starts to get errors on the entire drive. It's anyone guess how long you could run it before it goes completely bad. It may be days, months or years. Obviously the best solution is to replace the drive before it goes completely bad but on the other hand, if you don't use the PC very much and you have any data you really need backed up, then keep running it till it does go completely bad and then replace the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-partition-query.64373/
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi friends
I read this tutorial
Partition or Volume - Shrink
Now, i have 1 HARD DISK 220G which divided to 2 NTFS Partition:
-C (physical drive where windows installed) Partition 100G
-D -an empty Partition 120G

My question-is it possible BY using Disk Management to shrink D to 50G and add the remaining 70G to C ?
(so C will be 170G and D 50G )

Thanks!

A:Hard Disk Partition question

Quote: Originally Posted by prukeyhi

Hi friends
I read this tutorial
Now, i have 1 drive divided to 2 Partition:
-C (physical drive where windows installed) Partition 100G
-D -an empty Partition 120G

My question-is it possible BY using Disk Management to shrink D to 50G and add the remaining 70G to C ?
(so C will be 170G and D 50G )

Thanks!

Yes.

But this utility is easier to use;

EASEUS FREE Partition Manager Software. Free Partition Magic alternative for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008. Hard Drive partition software.

Regards....Mike Connor

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/154730-hard-disk-partition-question.html
Relevancy 82.99%

If I have a logical partition and a primary partition and if I format the primary partition then will I loose the data from the logical partition?

A:logical partition on hard disk

Hello 9vaibhavd, welcome to Vista Forums!

I didn't think so, so I just did a little test, I shrunk a primary and created a logical and put a word doc on it, then I formatted the primary and the word doc was still there on the logical.

When in doubt, I have 3 words for you, backup backup backup backup.
oh that's 4 words

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/280025-logical-partition-hard-disk.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hard disk partition lost valuable info still on disk but I am unable to acess it what should I do?

A:Hard disk partition lost

little more info pls

what OS
when did it stop being seen?
what happened just before you 'lost' the partition?
can you see it with hard drive mfg software (ie western digital, maxtor etc all have software on their websites for installing etc)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-partition-lost.296557/
Relevancy 82.99%

Sir,
I had partitioned one of my hard disk of 18GB
To install Linux as well a windows, and I
Could boot both of them but the Linux partition
Had taken 8 G.B so I tried to delete the partition
Having linux which is not a primary dos partition,
But when I try to delete the extended dos.partition
Through Fdisk I get a message that extended dos
Partition cannot be deleted because of logical drive
Partition again when I try to delete the logical
Partition a message saying logical dives not defined,.
I also tried to delete Linux partition trough disk druid
Screen in Linux installation but without success.
Only the primary dos partition has label, extended
Dos partition doesn’t have label.
Please suggest me how to delete the extended dos
Partition and logical drive partition in it.

Thanking You Yours Faithfully

Iftakhar Latif
[email protected]

A:Hard Disk Partition Problem

The only way to delete a 'rebel' partition is using a utility program, like Disk Manager. Try downloading it from Maxtor (download the Quantum version); boot from a W98 disk, and run the DiskManager, if your HD is not a Quantum, execute it with the parameter /x so it just recognize the BIOS values. Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-partition-problem.60677/
Relevancy 82.56%

I have a Dell Inspiration 6000 laptop. I want to repartition it having one 20 gig partiton for Windows and 15 gigs for Linux and the rest a FAT32 drive for them to share. Well I run Partition Magic and I can't run any of the Wizards because it says there are unmoveable partition on my drive. There are 3 primary partitions by default, one is a hidden FAT32 partition which I assume is used for system recovery. The other is called CP/M Concurrent DOS, CTOS which I don't know what it is.

So I can resize C and creeate an ext3 partition for Linux, but when I got to use the rest of unallocated space it won't let me create a new partition. Can someone tell me how I can create more partitions. And what is the CP/M Concurrent DOS, CTOS one?

Thanks.

A:Partition Magic: Unable to partition disk.

Figured it out. You click on the c drive partition and resize it, setting it to like 30,000 or 40,000 or whatever, leaving the rest unallocated. Then you can create a partition for it in the operations section and label it. Very confusing but it worked for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-magic-unable-to-partition-disk.416492/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi,

Need some help. I recently bought Acer Aspire 5560G. It comes with 500GB HDD with only one partition which is drive C. There are 2 hidden partitions as well. I would like to split my drive C in 2 partitions without effecting my Recovery partition. Is it possible??? if yes than what's the best way?? Help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:Hard Drive Partition Without Effecting Recovery Partition

I think the easiest way to accomplish that is to shrink your C: partition. That will create unallocated space. And the unallocated space can be used to create a new partition.

Partition or Volume - Create New

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/253969-hard-drive-partition-without-effecting-recovery-partition.html
Relevancy 82.13%

A few days ago my Seagate 3TB external hard drive failed without warning and I've been trying to recover it. I ran Test Disk but it didn't appear to locate any partitions. I tried Minitool Partition Wizard and while the Partition Recovery Wizard did locate the partition, identify it as NTFS and even shows me all the files it never adds 'recover partition' as an operation so I can't run it. What do I need to do?

Here's the disk in Partition Magic (drive N)

Here's it in Disk Management

Here's it in Explorer

I feel like I'm close because Partition Wizard can show me the files but I just can't browse the drive.

A:External hard drive visible in Partition Magic but not explorer

You can try with PartitionGuru free Free partition manager, file recovery tool and Windows backup software - PartitionGuru Free

or wait until Jumanji responds to your case he is the guru for this kind of problems around here

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/372698-external-hard-drive-visible-partition-magic-but-not-explorer.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I am quickly discovering all I don t know about formatting and organizing hard drives Unable (single hard drive external format to RAW partition) I have an old inch GB Segate laptop hard drive which I have connected using a USB enclosure At one time it had a copy of Windows XP but after I upgraded to a larger hard drive I used this Unable to format external hard drive (single RAW partition) one for backups and misc file storage Recently I decided to see if I could Restore a recently built Windows image on another PC onto this HD In preparation I decided to clean up the drive so I did a series of activities to try Unable to format external hard drive (single RAW partition) and remove old files and make the HD as clean as possible for the new image These activities included removing partitions and other disc cleaning procedures All this has left me with a single RAW partition and all sorts of errors when I attempt to format the drive I am unable to format the drive Here is what it looks like in Disk Management I have no interest in recovering any data from the HD I merely want it formatted and ready to accept the image file when I attempt the Recovery process Right now I can see the HD in Disk Management but if I click on the drive in Windows Explorer it says it needs to be formatted If I attempt to format the drive it fails I ve read so many posts that I m now just running in circles because I m not sure how much I m reading is applicable to my situation and what is not Any suggestions will be much appreciated

A:Unable to format external hard drive (single RAW partition)

You might try a Bootable version of Partition Wizard to clean and format this HD.

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/339458-unable-format-external-hard-drive-single-raw-partition.html
Relevancy 82.13%

My Hard disk array is lost please help me i upload my partition pictures before window and after window. I have two hard disk. one is sea gate 500 GB Second is Samsung 320 GB. the partition array was mix up.

A:Hard Disk Partition Array Problem

Hello Jawad Khan, welcome to Seven Forums!

Please post a maximized Windows 7 disk management snip, be sure all the partition descriptions in the top half of the window are expanded/readable, that would be more helpful.

You have run out of empty space on those partitions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/250053-hard-disk-partition-array-problem.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I have provided Disk information in the attachment Disk - Hard a to the in different partition Need disk help moving System Partition C System and Partiton E Data Disk - Partiton D Win OS and Partiton F WinXP To boot I need Disk as it has the system partiton which got messed up during installation of WinXP and it didn't change when I installed Win in my current dual boot System It is working fine today as long as I connceted the Disk If I remove Need help in moving the System partition to a different Hard disk Disk and set the boot order to Disk I am getting the ntldr missing error and the system refuses to boot I need help in moving the System parttion to one of the existing OS partition or to a new partition in Disk so that I can get rid of the old Disk completely without disturbing my Need help in moving the System partition to a different Hard disk current dual boot system I am not able to find any straight forward safe solution to move the system partition As it contains the boot information of both XP and Win Any help will be highly appreciated to do so without installing any of the existing OS Thank you -Sanjeeb

A:Need help in moving the System partition to a different Hard disk

In what OS were you booted when making the screenshot? Win7 is letter D and XP is letter F.... the current OS is always C if you do a clean install from CD/DVD.

Boot to win7 please. In Elevated Command Prompt do:

Code:
bcdedit /enum all>c:\bcd.txt
Post c:\bcd.txt afterwards as attachment

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/322449-need-help-moving-system-partition-different-hard-disk.html