Windows Support Forum

Problem with user names (accounts) in Windows XP Pro!!!!!!!!

Q: Problem with user names (accounts) in Windows XP Pro!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys I have Windows XP Pro running on my computer I have two user accounts on this windows One is under quot John quot and other is under quot Homer quot might seem funny but this is for fun I mostly use quot John s quot user account When I go in C Drive and under Documents and Settings I have Windows Pro!!!!!!!! names user (accounts) in XP with Problem both names John and Homer but all the files and things I saved under quot John s quot Problem with user names (accounts) in Windows XP Pro!!!!!!!! account are actually under quot Homer s quot account I haven t used quot Homer quot account for couple of months now so it doesn t have much saved on its Desktop however John s Desktop has lots of stuff saved on Desktop and in other folders Why then all the stuff saved under quot John s quot account shows under quot Homer s quot account in Documents and Settings unch Also anybody know how to change the computer name in Windows XP I have set my computer name on my name but I want to change that to some other name for privacy Any suggestions will be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Problem with user names (accounts) in Windows XP Pro!!!!!!!!

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Problem with user names (accounts) in Windows XP Pro!!!!!!!!

Change Computer Name

To change your computer name go to:

Start/
"Right Click" My Computer/
Then Click on Properties/
Go to the tab Computer Name/
And For a final step click on Change to change your computer name

I hope that helps (This is my first time to post on this forum) :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-user-names-accounts-in-windows-xp-pro.18566/
Relevancy 78.69%

People My Win Pro -bit machine has garbled names for accounts users folders and user profiles I have looked into my copy of quot Windows Inside and Out quot by Bott et al but can't dope out what to do I'd like to keep the log-on screen names and conform other names to them In this forum's tutorials I found quot Windows User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name quot but it describes a problem much less messier than mine so user Corrupted profiles and names accounts, users, for folders, I am Corrupted names for accounts, users, folders, and user profiles asking for help Obviously a man who can make such a hash of things needs a problem-specific step-by-step fix Please someone Code EXHIBIT A Log-on screen JackAdmin Jack Rebecca log on Jack gt explorer gt Favorites Desktop Libraries Jack my files listed here Computer Network Control Panel Recycle Bin C Users Guest Jack my files listed here Public Rebecca Control Panel gt All CP Items gt System gt System Properties gt User Profiles gt Profiles stored on this computer Default Profile MB DellT Guest MB Jack GB Rebecca MB CP gt All CP Items gt User Accounts gt Configure advanced user profile properties Dell Jack CP gt All CP Items gt User Accounts gt Manage another account Jack JackAdmin Rebecca Guest Regedit gt ProfileList S- - - - C Users Rebecca - Jack - bak JackAdmin - Guest How on earth did this happen This was a single-user machine until I added some more users so I could have different configurations and until I tried to add WinXP Mode I couldn't get it and the associated VM to install work and so I then tried to uninstall them From then on I was playing with a Tarbaby I've used computers for years I'm now and can find my way around the registry but learn less and less about each succeeding version of Windows Machine details in my profile this forum Jack Handley

A:Corrupted names for accounts, users, folders, and user profiles

Can you post a screenshot of this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/332026-corrupted-names-accounts-users-folders-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Right for a start off I don t think I explained myself very well in the title - so I will have another go here I have a table of users that I have created imported from a spreadsheet to the tune of about users I have a list of calls from the IT Service Desk - however they have not linked the users active directory account into the call just the callers surname and forename s I want to link all the users calls to the possible users in the database in a accounts MSAccess2007 names users of their a user Linking table Solved: with in separate table The tables I have are laid out as follows Users Table Code UserID - Autonumber b PK b User Active Directory Name - text i Actually their email address i IT Calls Code Callid - number i Unique i b PK b FirstName - text Surname - text Call Solved: Linking a table of users names with their user accounts in MSAccess2007 Details - text Solved: Linking a table of users names with their user accounts in MSAccess2007 Linking Table Code UniqueID - Autonumber UserID - number b FK b Callid - number b FK b PossibleDuplicate - Yes No Basically I want to write some sort of script that will go through my IT Calls table and query the users at the moment I am doing it by hand using the query Code Like quot quot amp Enter Name amp quot quot And I am having to enter users names like this joe bloggs as some users Active Directory accounts have middle initials and some don t I want all the users that return more than one result to tick the Possible Duplicate box so I can go through and look at these manually later Does that make sense Any ideas on how I would go about writing a script for this Cheers guys Mike nbsp

A:Solved: Linking a table of users names with their user accounts in MSAccess2007

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-linking-a-table-of-users-names-with-their-user-accounts-in-msaccess2007.988994/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi Problem user Solved: accounts with Windows XP and My computer was previously not working and I decided to use the quot recovery disc quot which came with my computer This reinstalled windows into the same drive and folder Solved: Problem with Windows XP and user accounts as before and so all my data was kept as I wanted However Solved: Problem with Windows XP and user accounts if I open my Documents and Settings folder on my C drive open the folder of my user account from before the reinstallation and try to open quot My Documents quot it says quot Access Denied quot presumably as the computer sees it as another user s folder How can I access the files contained in this folder I know the password for the user account however as it s from the old Windows before it was reinstalled i can t directly log into it Would I be able to access the files through a different OS eg a Linux Live CD Any help would be appreciated And the sooner the better too I desperately need to get to these files as this folder contains all of my schoolwork - Javawag nbsp

A:Solved: Problem with Windows XP and user accounts

Welcome,

Try this here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-problem-with-windows-xp-and-user-accounts.515272/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi Guys Please help me with this I have tried everything I know and it still happens My husband and I each have our own user account on the PC both as Administrators User Windows Accounts problem Vista All was working fine before Suddenly once started up and I log onto my user account all is gone No files no desktop background only vista s default background and I have to set up my IE and Google Chrome s preferences all over there are no bookmarks Windows Vista User Accounts problem favourites etc This does not happen each time I log on but occurs every second day or so then OK for a day then off again It first started on my husband s account for a week or so now his is OK and it s mine doing this thing I have done system restore twice it runs well for a day and then does the same Another problem I have which may go hand in hand with the above is that I un-installed Firefox then re-installed it again The reason being that when using FF I would get a message saying FF has encountered a problem and has to shut down And after re-installing it it now does not function at all I can click on it and nothing happens FF still shows in Add and remove programs in Control panel but when I want to un-install it nothing happens I got fed-up and installed Chrome Is it OK to delete all the FF files in Program Files on C or not All your advice and help will be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Windows Vista User Accounts problem

have you tried turning UAC off in user accounts,just to see any difference

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-user-accounts-problem.910986/
Relevancy 69.66%

CANT FIND THE DEL BUTTON,,, 

NOT RIGHT PLACE FOR MY WRIGTING,,,:-)

A:1 account, 2 user names, but only 1 user = Big Registry Problem

What is exactly the meaning of this topic? Is it a queestion or a discussion?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563705/1-account-2-user-names-but-only-1-user-big-registry-problem/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi all I had to repair Windows XP Home from original disk because of a system error Now choose Showing to Cannot user Names Startup at Welcome No User a logon : Windows when I start Windows on the welcome page it says quot To begin click your user name quot but the right part of the screen where the users normally are is completely blank There are no users to choose from I can run No User Names Showing at Windows Welcome Startup : Cannot choose a user to logon Safe Mode so I have tried the following In safe mode went to Control Panel gt Users gt and added a new user and checked the Administrator password was still the same yes This made no difference and blue logon screen still asked me to choose a user but had no users showing In safe mode Start gt Run quot Control Userpasswords quot and unchecked quot Users must use a password on this computer quot This has now created the error when I boot quot Unable to log you on because of an account restriction quot Then goes back to blue quot To begin click your user name quot but no users Tried repairing Win XP AGAIN but no difference Has anyone seen this problem before I would so appreciate any input Thanks MJ nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-user-names-showing-at-windows-welcome-startup-cannot-choose-a-user-to-logon.703502/
Relevancy 66.65%

I am using Vista Home Premium Registry - User on Leaks User Problem Accounts -bit and I am having problem logging in using my user account An error flagged quot The User Profile Service service failed the logon User Account Profile cannot be loaded quot The Event Viewer window has these details Windows detected your registry file is still in use by User Registry Leaks - Problem on User Accounts other applications or services The file will be unloaded now The applications or services that hold your User Registry Leaks - Problem on User Accounts registry file may not function properly afterwards DETAIL - user registry handles leaked from Registry User S- - - - - - - Classes Process Device HarddiskVolume Windows System svchost exe has opened key REGISTRY USER S- - - - - - - CLASSES I was able to logged in through Safe Mode but still an error flagged in status bar that the profile was not properly loaded Although I was able to copy all data from that user account to a new account can I still troubleshoot the problem and be able to log in using the old user account I have all my shortcuts and archives there and quot every customized thing quot Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:User Registry Leaks - Problem on User Accounts

Hi aice and welcome to Vista Forums

Have you checked the information in the following Tutorial?

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/223345-user-registry-leaks-problem-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I upgraded to XP and I'm much happier
but I'm having a few problems.
If I log out of a screen name it won't let me log back in to any of them. I end up having to restart. I had to delete the other two SN and change the setting so windows logs into the primary screen name when it starts up. Is there something wrong?

Ray

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-problem-with-user-names-in-xp.378447/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi i've just had my laptop formatted by a shop and it was working fine when i got it back .started it up this morning and it goes to the blue windows screen and says sign in with user name but on the right hand page where user names are usually shown it is just blank. i have tried booting in safe mode and also safe mode back to last good settings but i still get the same windows screen . any ideas on how to get into the pc

A:Windows Start Up No User Names

I've had that happen once...I think I just did a repair install of XP, but there's probably a less severe fix.

Hmmm...try Control/Alt/Delete at the screen and see what happens.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/132698/windows-start-up-no-user-names/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello I'm setting up w for the first time I find that user accounts are not as easy as W Iset the first user account to the user name my son uses for email he wanted it changed to his name so I screwed User names 8.1 Windows are up in changed it Now when he logs on it is to his name however User names are screwed up in Windows 8.1 the email user name still appears in the upper right side of the page So I went to C users and found that the only user folder present was the one with his email user name It seem that only the log in page has his name and User names are screwed up in Windows 8.1 that is only an alias for the true account his email user name What I was thinking is to create another account with his name with admin privileges and then delete the account with his email user name Then there would be only one account If I had not done other setup tasks I would go back again to factory settings and start over What I eventually want is only one user account with his name and password with automatic log on Bill

A:User names are screwed up in Windows 8.1

Hey Bill,

It sounds like you may have set him up with a Microsoft account on the computer.

For now, use the tutorial below to get detailed information to see what user accounts are on the computer, and post the details here.

User Accounts - View Detailed Information About in Windows

You can use the tutorial below to set Windows to automatically sign in to a user account of your choice at startup.

Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/53856-user-names-screwed-up-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 62.78%

everytime i try to delete another user account on my computer, the program says that it isn't responding...what do i do?

A:can't delete other user names on Windows XP

bucsaa18 said:

everytime i try to delete another user account on my computer, the program says that it isn't responding...what do i do?Click to expand...

Are you in administrator mode? If so, are you using the control panel and System users and passwords? Go there and highlight the user you want to get rid of - then select remove and voila...doc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-delete-other-user-names-on-windows-xp.264706/
Relevancy 62.35%

So I accidentally changed my computers SID and my system created a new user account "Taylor-TaylorPC" Where my old username was Taylor and my computer name is TaylorPC. It locked me out of my old user folder, so I can't access my files. What should I do? If there's no solution, how can I back up the files if I can't access them?

A:Problem With User Accounts

I am assuming that the new user has administrator access - assuming this you should be able to right click on the old user name folder under c:\users and use properties - advanced - and ownership to take ownership of the folder tree
This should allow yyou to ceess the folders and contents (if UAC is active you may find that it asks for elevation )
Without Administrator access things are possible but will be a lot more difficult

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/25867-problem-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Recently the hard drive on my PC was wiped I got the PC back with one admin account on Problem Accounts User it User Accounts Problem quot Owner quot I go ahead and put the other accounts I had on before admin for myself and other limited accounts Now when I next load up the PC it should to my understanding go to the Welcome Screen and the Owner account should be hidden showing only the accounts I put on ready for who ever to log on User Accounts Problem But it doesn't it goes and logs straight into the Owner account So I try to use the admin account I created to delete it I can't - the option simply isn't there So I create another account and still can't - but the option is there to delete the other account that was an admin setting Basically I want XP to load up on the welcome screen not auto logging in to the quot Owner quot account with it being hid from that menu like it should be any ideas

A:User Accounts Problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by madden1706

Recently the hard drive on my PC was wiped.

I got the PC back with one admin account on it, "Owner".
I go ahead and put the other accounts I had on before, 1 admin for myself and 3 other limited accounts.

Now when I next load up the PC it should to my understanding go to the Welcome Screen and the Owner account should be hidden showing only the 4 accounts I put on ready for who ever to log on.

But it doesn't, it goes and logs straight into the Owner account.

So, I try to use the admin account I created to delete it. I can't - the option simply isn't there. So I create another account and still can't - but the option is there to delete the other account that was an admin setting.

Basically I want XP to load up on the welcome screen not auto logging in to the "Owner" account, with it being hid from that menu like it should be.... any ideas?

Have a look at this article.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-problem-336059.html
Relevancy 62.35%

When trying to connect ipod it tells me it cant find my music folder, using tweak i try to assign my music folder but it does not show up in the drop down box. It seems my user accounts have been corrupted or become too confused...can you help me re establish a working accounts and all its correct settings?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-problem.459571/
Relevancy 62.35%

My wife has a standard user account, but recently tryed to log on and access was denied and a temporary account was automatically used.
I looked in the event viewer and got this message: Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. - What has gone wrong, and how do I fix it? Please help, it's driving me nuts!

A:User accounts problem

This problem may occur if the directory that is associated with the account has been deleted from the Documents and Settings folder.

1. Start the computer in Safe Mode, and then restart the computer.
a. After the Power On Self Test (POST), press the F8 key.
b. On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
c. When you are prompted to select the operating system to start, select Windows XP <edition>, where <edition> is the edition of Windows XP that you have installed, and then press ENTER.
2. Log on as Administrator.
a. On the "To begin, click your user name" screen, click Administrator.
b. Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

Note In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER.
3. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
4. Create a new user account. Windows makes a new directory for the account in the Documents and Settings folder.
5. Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-accounts-problem-306344.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have Win 7 Ultimate and have 3 user accounts, say A (an admin), B (a standard) and C (a standard). I don't seem to notice any problems logging in into user A and B.

However, I noticed that when my daughter tried to log in into her account (i.e user C), she sometimes got a dark blank screen. As far as I remembered, it had happened like twice or three times. I had to do Cnt-Alt-Del, and then chose "log off". Then I tried logging in again and it would normally work.

Yesterday, it happened again, and when I tried to logging in (I tried it twice), it didn't work. So I finally have to restart the PC and then it worked.

I am not sure what the problem is. I would appreciate any help.

A:Problem with one of the User accounts

Check out your event viewer/windows/application log for any critical errors and post them in your next reply...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/46814-problem-one-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi there guys,
I have a problem that is bothering me quite some time now and I finally decided to post here...
here's the thing:
Anyway I open Control panel>>User accounts I get this:

The curious thing is that this happens only on my sister and my parents' accounts (so 2 accounts out of 3) but everything seems good on my account. I tried making a new account but the problem appears there too...
Also on those two accounts MSN Live Messenger isn't working i.e. freezes and its impossible to write the email and the password :S :S
Could anyone guess what might be the problem to this and why its happening only on their accounts?
Pleaseeee helppp!
Thanks in advance!

A:User accounts problem :( Help please :(:(

What type of accounts are the two inoperative ones? Set as Administrator or Limited?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-problem-help-please-187353.html
Relevancy 62.35%

On the original user account the Internet connects automatically as it is set up to do (BT broadband modem). However the Internet will only work on my other 2 user accounts if the original one has been logged onto. All the accounts have full access, what can I do to stop this happening?

Thanks
Lydia

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-user-accounts-277899.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi, I was wanting to change my log-in password for my main username, as my brother got hold of it. I went to the Control Panel and double clicked 'User Accounts' to get the User Accounts page to pop up. Unfortunatley, it didn't, so I tried it a few more times and nothing happened. I then rebooted my pc and tried again, but the User Accounts window never opened. It has been doing this for 3 months now and is really annoying everyone who uses this pc as we all want to change our log-in names, pictures and passwords. Please can you help me to sort this.

My PC Info If Needed:

Intel Pentium IIII CPU 2.50 GHz
2.49GHz, 224MB of RAM.

Thank You In Advance.

A:'User Accounts' Problem ... help Please.

welcome
i believe you need to log in as administrator
boot to safe mode, tap f8 as you first start up.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-problem-help-please-93881.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi,

You guys have helped me with problems in the past, hopefully you can do the same again

I have 3 user accounts on my computer (Mine, the wifes and the childrens). None of them have any passwords attached to them.

Recently when switching from user to user i get prompted for a password, obviuosly as i have never set up any on the accounts i am unable to access the accounts and have to restart the computer. Once it has rebooted i am able to select any of the users without a password being required.

Any ideas why this is happening??
thanks

A:User Accounts Problem

For which accounts does this apply to? Just yours or all of them. If it is only one then mabye someone has put a password on them. Try doing a system restore (solves %30 of computer issues) and the see if the password is required.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/109261/user-accounts-problem/
Relevancy 62.35%

I have set-up my Windows XP Home system so that there is one administrator and one limited user I am attempting Problem User Accounts to allow some of the folders within quot My Documents quot User Accounts Problem to User Accounts Problem be available to the limited user and some not to be However whatever settings I seem to set in the administrator account whenever in User Accounts Problem the limited user account when clicking on quot My Documents quot of the administrator it says access denied I understand that the default is meant to be that all files are available to all local users unless otherwise specified To specify this you right-click on the folder go to properties and then the sharing tab and then select quot Make this folder private quot I want to set it so that some of the folders are private and some are available to limited users however even when none of the folders are selected to be private the limited user cannot access anything I noticed that you can move any folders you want to the shared folder however this is unsatisfactory for me as the command line for all of the files has consequently changed and causes me numerous problems elsewhere I hope someone can advise Thanks Jon nbsp

Relevancy 62.35%

Just had a problem with my computer It runs Windows XP Home Edition I was opening internet explorer earlier and the screen went crazy and the computer froze and made this weird beep noise I manually shut it down restarted and tried to go to my account on the computer There are user accounts on this computer I got back to the desktop and tried to open internet explorer back up but it wouldn t open Nothing will Not even My Computer or Recycle Bin I can user accounts problem XP barely get the Start Menu up I finally got the Start Menu up and restarted and tried again but the same thing happened So I went to the other user account on the computer and everything was as smooth as can be Internet runs fine and the speed is perfect I am on that account XP user accounts problem right now I tried to delete the other account but it wouldn t let me the window just froze I did a virus check and it came back clean I didn t think it would affect just one user anyways but just did as a precaution Any thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 62.35%

My User Accounts window just won't open up. In the control panel, when I click on it, the hour glass cursor appears for about 3 seconds, and then stops. No window opens up! All the other shortcuts in the control panel work just fine. I've tried accessing it through the Run command, but nothing comes up. I've restarted my computer many times, which hasn't seemed to do anything, and the account I am using is the only one on the computer. What should I do? Thanks.

A:Problem with User Accounts

Give this a try http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-user-accounts-57164.html
Relevancy 62.35%

The main user account used on this computer is the family account but for some reason although no new accounts have been created, all of the documents and settings of this user have been placed under a different user called Family_2. At the log on screen there is no other user, just family. All our documents and emails are basically hidden in the computer and I don't know how to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Problem with user accounts

possible the user profile is corrupted.
try creating a new user and see everythign works in it.

Then login as administrator and copy the stuff from old profile to new profile.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-user-accounts-79674.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Please help!!!

On XP Home (SP2), one of my user accounts has randomly disappeared from the Welcome Screen, from the User Accounts section of the Control Panel, and from the User Accounts window that comes up when running "control userpasswords2".

However, it hasn't completely gone - the account's document folders still exist, and when I try to recreate it, I get the message "The account already exists".

I don't mind whether the solution is to get the account back or get rid of it completely so I can make a new one - it's just annoying to be halfway between the two!

Thanks in advance!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-problem.361586/
Relevancy 62.35%

Is there a way to restore all the user names, passwords and permissions from back up tape once you've reloaded Windows NT 4.0? Urgent.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-nt-4-0-user-names-passwords-restore.133640/
Relevancy 61.92%

I had to use the Acer eRecovery on my Desktop pc after it kept shutting down without warning. The eRecovery told me it would back up all my user accounts data on my hard drive and that I could recover them when it had finished the re-install.

Following the re-install of the OS I have found the user account data but I have no idea how to move it all back to where it used to be.

Can anyone help?

A:Problem with user accounts after doing a recovery

default user directories are: c:\Users\<account user name>
Sub directories will include (Contacts, Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures and My Videos)

Your saved user data should still contain subdirectories with similiar, if not identicle name.

You can simply copy the User's sub directories and paste them into the default C:\Users\<User account name> select replace and you should be good.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/145007-problem-user-accounts-after-doing-recovery.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a dell insprion 1501, running xp home version sp2, norton 360 for security. I got a virus that trashed my main user account, I can get onto the guest account and get online, and do almost everything except anything the administrator needs to do, In safe mode I can get into both accounts, the virus turned off by system restore, so I can't restore, i think it deleated drivers, when I log on using safe mode i get a screen that fills the whole monitor which reads multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys
\ftdisk.sys
\partMgr.sys
then every line is the same except a different ****.sy name.
I have gone in under safe mode and created a new admin user, but when I try to go into regular it crashes just like the main one does.
I don't know if I have to reformat the computer and reinstall windows or what. Help Please

A:[SOLVED] problem with one of two user accounts

It sounds like that virus is still wreaking havoc on your PC. Have you tried logging in as the default Administrator account? It may be quicker to wipe your computer clean and start fresh, but if you would rather just remove the viruses then follow the instructions below. You may need to do part of these steps in safe mode.

We recommend that you read this article?
"NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help"; follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help section of the forum.
(Simply, click on the coloured links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The 5 Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

After your system has been verified as clean, if your are still experiencing those problems come back here and we will assist you further.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-problem-with-one-of-two-user-accounts-332005.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Just got a new dell with XP Pro installed. I have to log off in order to switch users. When I try to just switch users, the welcome screen flashes to my desktop and then back to the welcome screen and won't let me do anything else until I log off the original user. I have the fast user switch active and have confirmed that the RPC, fast user switch and terminal services are on and on automatic. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

A:Switching user accounts problem

Fast User Switching won't work in every situation.

- The Welcome screen must be enabled.
- The computer must not be joined to a domain.
- Offline files must be disabled.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switching-user-accounts-problem-369731.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hello everyone, this is my first post here; now seems like as good a time as any to start.

The problem I'm having is, essentially, that I can't log in to any of my user accounts. My computer will load to the screen where the accounts are displayed, but when I click on any of them it will load for a moment, then go back to the same screen. It won't prompt me to enter a password; it just seems to be stuck in a loop. I haven't been able to find anything on the internet that specifically addresses this issue. I hope I described it in enough detail.
If it helps any, I'm using a Dell Latitude D620 laptop.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385738-problem-logging-into-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi this is sort of a two-part help-request Recently when trying to access the User Accounts option in Control Panel it keeps opening a blank NotePad with the error message quot The filename directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect quot Although I can still log in and log off normally and everything Also I have & Log problem User Accounts Hijackthis set my computer to Auto-login In case it may help shed User Accounts problem & Hijackthis Log some light on the situation and also b c i want to do a check up anyways lol here s my Hijackthis Log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files TGTSoft StyleXP StyleXPService exe C Program Files Sygate SPF smc exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Stardock TrayServer exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe C WINDOWS System S apphk exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C windows system hpsysdrv exe C PROGRA Logitech MOUSEW SYSTEM EM EXEC EXE C Program Files Messenger Plus MsgPlus exe C PROGRA BILLPS WINPAT WinPatrol exe C Program Files Winamp winampa exe C WINDOWS system ps exe C Program Files ICQPlus VPlus exe C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton Utilities NPROTECT EXE C Program Files SpywareGuard sgmain exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgbhp exe C Program Files Avant Browser iexplore exe C Documents and Settings Owner CuDzY Maintenance HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie amp ar iesearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http my myway com my jsp R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http ie search msn com SUB RFC srchasst srchasst htm R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ca hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie amp ar iesearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ca hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie amp ar iesearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhost R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main First Home Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll Prd ie amp Pver amp Ar ie update amp O b R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page bak http my myway com my jsp R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard Shellnext http www microsoft com isapi redir dll prd ie amp ar runonce amp pver amp plcid x O - BHO SpywareGuard Download Protection - A E - F- - B - B DDD DB - C Program Files SpywareGuard dlprotect dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - d a - d - d - - e a - C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm RoboForm dll O - BHO no name - A -F B - D -AE A- D CF - C PROGRA DLExpert dll iehelper dll O - BHO Guard-IE - D F F - A- B- - A B ACA - no file O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System MSDXM OCX O - Toolbar amp RoboForm - d a - d - d - - e a - C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm RoboForm dll O - Toolbar Guard-IE - C D- C - -BB - BFF FA F DA - no file O - HKLM Run A Stardock TrayMonitor quot C Program Files Commo... Read more

A:User Accounts problem & Hijackthis Log

Christina, if you have not already resolved this, this solution suggested at a couple of sites worked for me -

Reenable, or enable the Microsoft HTA (Hypertext application) facility.

HTA permits active content on web pages and is recognized as very insecure, since it permits those web pages to run as applications on your machine. Many machines have disabled HTA as a result, some using a security application called "HTA Stop". Others have removed the file association for the .hta file type so it is unassociated.

In any case, the User Accounts module of the Control Panel apparently requires that the HTA facility be running - because reestablishing the file association and using HTA Stop to restart HTA fixed my problem, which was apparently identical to yours.

You can use the command (DOS) window with the "assoc" command to check and establish the .hta file type association. Check with "assoc .hta". Establish with "assoc .hta=htafile"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-problem-hijackthis-log.225217/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hi there,

this problem just surfaced a few days ago where i've left my PC vacant ( because i went overseas ).

Currently I have 2 user accounts ( one is Administrator and one is ABC ). Admin is the one which was default and never used. i've always used ABC account ( i set it to auto login and no password demand upon login ) to do all my things. however, now it just logs in automatically to the Administrator account, and all my settings are not in this account. since it was a default account, winxp doesn't allow me to delete it. what can i do in order to login straight to ABC and not login to any other account ever again? also, what caused this problem? would like to know so i can prevent it from happening again. thanks!

A:problem with user accounts. (login)

Click Start, Run and type CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, and click Ok. Select the user account from the list (the account to which you want to automatically logon). Uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option, and click Ok. Type the user account password (if it has one) and complete the process.http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/208452/problem-with-user-accounts-login/
Relevancy 61.49%

Dell computer from Anyways I did something very very dumb yesterday I was on the regedit screen and when I went into one of the HKEY LocalMachine or one of those HKEY folders the quot Classes quot folder got deleted That s when everything kind of messed up Regedit stopped working asked for an quot at way no Help! windows to log-on icon log on! names user present, screen, Only no appropriate program from the list quot to use with it and almost everything stopped so I had to shut the computer down Now when I shut it down and tried to get back on I couldn t get ANYTHING on the logon screen except a dinky little Windows logo with no usernames making it impossible to logon I tried pressing F and F to do something on the DELL screen when I frist turn on Only windows icon at log-on screen, no user names present, no way to log on! Help! the computer but that didn t do anything as there are no options to reset WIndows or anything like that My question is how the heck do I get back to the WIndows logon screen with the usernames back I have so much stuff on my computer that I can t afford to lose Do I need a special CD I need to purchase and is there anyway to get back the users without losing all my stuff Please help Thank you for your Only windows icon at log-on screen, no user names present, no way to log on! Help! time If you can you can post here to help or email me at email protected corny address but who cares nbsp

A:Only windows icon at log-on screen, no user names present, no way to log on! Help!

remember that they is no way I can log on, so I can't use ANY program. I may have royally screwed myself

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/only-windows-icon-at-log-on-screen-no-user-names-present-no-way-to-log-on-help.602658/
Relevancy 61.06%

Recently I had to do a system restore Accessing user folders XP accounts Problem due to a virus infection and it restored the computer months back only Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders there was one problem USERS before System Restore Account P Computer owner Account Account X Administrator Account Y limited Account Z Administrator USERS after system restore Account N COMPUTER Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders ADMINISTRATOR After the system restore there was only a Computer Owner Administrator account After weeks of trying to recreate the accounts to no avail i have given up However When I go to C Documents and Settings I can still access all the folders and files of the previous user accounts P Y and Z All except for Account X which was an administrator account and had set its sharing of files and folders to PRIVATE and unable to let other users access When I try to open the documents folder using the Computer owner administrator account it says quot Access to C documents and settings account X Is Denied quot I have tried to change its properties of the folder to share and i have tried booting the computer in safe mode and changing its permissions to no avail It still says quot you do not have the permissions to change this quot Can somebody help me with this Much appreciated nbsp

A:Problem Accessing XP user accounts folders

Sometimes when you reinstall WindowsXP, you can receive an Access Denied error when trying to open a previous user's directory.
To take ownership of that folder again:

1. Log on with an account that has administrator rights
2. Right click on the folder
3. Select Properties
4. Click on the Security tab
5. Click on the Advanced button
6. Click on the Owner tab
7. In the list of Names, click on your name
8. To take ownership, click on Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
9. Click OK and Yes

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#file_ownership

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-accessing-xp-user-accounts-folders.576640/
Relevancy 61.06%

Greetings to those who know!
I reformatted my pc a while ago and was feeling rather pleased with myself,BUT I can connect on my own account no problem, but neither my guest account nor my daughters account can connect to the internet, I get the message:

Error 734: The PPP Link Control Protocol Was Terminated" Error Message Occurs If You Try to Establish a Dial-Up Connection .
I have adsl.

I have checked all the settings, they are identical to my own account, and checked the ms site problem solving notes on the error number, all ok there too.

What have I missed? Or what am I doing wrong?
Thanks
Ps weird thing is I also reformatted my other pc at the same time and that has no problem what so ever!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/91070/internet-connection-problem-with-xp-user-accounts/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi all,

Recently decided it would be a good idea to add a password to the Admin account in safe mode.

However, when I click the "User Accounts" icon in control panel while logged in to the Admin account i get a missing win32.ddl error.

Doesn't happen in any other accounts...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

A:User Accounts problem in safe mode

I have found this -> Toolbar: SurferBar - {FF7FD490-34E7-4FA1-927A-F5799E6AAD7B} - c:\PROGRA~1\win32.dll which appears to link that .dll with malware.

You can Google the whole string.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-problem-in-safe-mode-545829.html
Relevancy 61.06%

This morning I made a stupid mistake while messing with compmgmt msc I took off my main user dimgl who is an in to problem, user log Huge no accounts normal administrator from the Administrator group I wanted to make it a normal user This is all Huge problem, no normal user accounts to log in fine and dandy however I did not realize that dimgl was not part of the Users group When I logged off to my surprise dimgl was gone and I only had a Guest account I logged on to a Guest account and here is where the hell started I first tried to run mmc exe as an Administrator but I noticed UAC was disabled Therefore mmc exe always started with Guest credentials I said no problem let me go into Command Prompt and use a RUNAS command to start mmc exe as an Administrator I use the quot RUNAS mmc exe user Administrator quot command and I receive this message RUNAS ERROR Unable to run - mmc The service cannot be started either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it I look in my Services and the Secondary Logon service is disabled ' At this point I'm stumped and I have no idea how to regain access to my computer I really don't want to reinstall Windows and there has to be some sort of workaround to this Can anyone help

A:Huge problem, no normal user accounts to log in

Not sure if you can, but it's worth a try. Try to activate the hidden administrator account with this.

Net user administrator /active:yes

Give it a shot on command prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/200245-huge-problem-no-normal-user-accounts-log.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I switched to Windows recently and tried to set Accounts - User Multiple Up Problem Setting up Setting Up Multiple User Accounts - Problem multiple accounts when I Setting Up Multiple User Accounts - Problem ran into a problem I need to set up user accounts on machine dont ask me why lol but once I reach close to it locks me out By lock me out I mean I cannot create any more new accounts I cannot enter the UAC panel I cannot manage any of the existing accounts including my own adminitrator account - in other words I cannot do anything under the 'user account' tab on the control panel if I create one of the other accounts as an administrator it shows me the same results - actually it wont even go into the user accounts tab no matter how hard I click on it I tried this on both my machines - one running Family the other professional bit Same result - one got to accounts the otehr to accounts Is there a limit to the number of user accounts you can run on Windows I rememebr on Windows XP there was no limit although the welcome screen slowed down to a crawl when i tried to set up more than user accounts Is there a way around this limitation if there is one If there is a limitation is it with regards to these versions alone and perhaps the Business Enterprise edition does not have this problem Any information would be appreciated

A:Setting Up Multiple User Accounts - Problem

hello..

if you have to create 200 accounts..i suggest you to make server..
and you can arrange it easy. you just install window server 2003 R2. and use active directories to manage your clients account.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/79455-setting-up-multiple-user-accounts-problem.html
Relevancy 61.06%

EDIT I changed the topic of this post cuz I figured out that OMG I was looking at a dummy folder problem? accounts hidden user permissions created by some badly hard wired software named quot Documents permissions problem? hidden user accounts and Settings quot instead of the actual Vista version quot Users quot Here's the background Someone's Vista install just got toasted by a virus I need to get their personal files off the drive but when I hook it permissions problem? hidden user accounts up to another computer and try to open it in My Computer it says Access Denied and won't even tell me the capacity of the drive So I logged in as the hidden administrator on this comp and can view everything Just to bypass any ownership problems from the get go I ran from an elevated command prompt takeown F F and it said The file or folder F now owned by user PhenomX PC Owner which is me I still can't open it So since I figure I'd have to do this anyway I ran the subfolder-including version takeown F F R D Y which modified like files successfully and choked on and this is not a typo INFO The system cannot find the path specified F ProgramData Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data Application Data My Music Sample Music Yeah quot application data quot 's deep The weird part is quot F ProgramData Application Data quot doesn't exist if viewed in explorer even with the correct Folder Options set but it opens from the Run command but there's no subfolders listed then So I did a run of like layers deep and it popped open an explorer window with about layers deep of Application Data and it had the exact same contents but a breadcrumb listing on top that suggested it was several subfolders deep BUT wait it gets weirder Similar ownership commands above that found and modified files with that layer path just fine It choked on desktop ini and then sample music and gave up What's going on here Is the drive corrupted or is something translating folder names incorrectly

A:permissions problem? hidden user accounts

aww, I hit the editing timeout :( but was just gonna add that

I'm going to use the right click "take ownership" mod to more specifically be able to grab just their documents and pictures and stuff in case they're somehow protected with wacky permissions but I'll probably need to know in the future why the entire drive command failed in that way.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/permissions-problem-hidden-user-accounts-556142.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hiii everybody this is my first ever post in my first forum That s a disclaimer to ask you guys to forgive me for having very little gray matter - I have Windows XP HOME SP on Intel Celeron MHz and MB RAM I know it doesn t sound like much so I m always trying to read forums and tweak my settings But this time it ended up worse I used a program called autoruns exe to adjust my startup programs so it ll start faster I m not sure what I turned off but now It takes longer cut(copy) all Panel-User Control accounts ... missing accounts Can't paste, in & to start up I don t see any accounts not even admin in Control Panel - User accounts I can access a directory and open files but I can t cut or copy and paste them into another Can't cut(copy) & paste, all accounts missing in Control Panel-User accounts ... folder In services Can't cut(copy) & paste, all accounts missing in Control Panel-User accounts ... msc most of the programs under Local with automatic setting don t start and cannot be started I can t even see the programs under extended I have a home network but I can t access any of my other computers those are a few of laundry list of challenges with my computer with me I m even ready to format and reinstall XP but I need to copy some files before I do that I m sorry for this long post but can you guys help me nbsp

A:Can't cut(copy) & paste, all accounts missing in Control Panel-User accounts ...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-cut-copy-paste-all-accounts-missing-in-control-panel-user-accounts.287901/
Relevancy 61.06%

Only user of computer so I am Local Account Administrator. Do I just create another account to set my account to Standard?

Can I use same names for the Standard and Administrator accounts?

A:Names of accounts

Hello lowdown,

You would want to always have one administrator account enabled on the PC. Otherwise, you will not be able to do anything that requires being an administrator or elevated rights.

User accounts cannot have the same name, they must be different.

You could create another administrator account, sign in to it, change your account to be a standard user, then sign out of the new account.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61766-names-accounts.html
Relevancy 61.06%

When using Microsofts runas command I get an interesting problem Anyone know of a workaround besides the obvious answer of changing our names our user Solved: - in space XP like WIndows Runas Doesn't user naming convention which isn t going to happen no matter how hard I try When I use the runas command on a machine I can run it as administrator I E Runas User OurDomain Administrator notepad exe does not matter what exe I am trying to run I get the command prompt for a password and it then opens once the password Solved: WIndows XP Runas - Doesn't like space in our user names is supplied but if I do - Runas User OurDomain User notepad exe it will not work I Solved: WIndows XP Runas - Doesn't like space in our user names E the persons login is User note the space in the username Solved: WIndows XP Runas - Doesn't like space in our user names the only thing I can see is that runas does NOT like the space because if I make a person called User and then do the runas command it works just fine Anyone know how to get it to recognize the space as a space and NOT as a break in the command nbsp

A:Solved: WIndows XP Runas - Doesn't like space in our user names

put quotes around the /User:OurDomain\User 01854 notepad.exe ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-runas-doesnt-like-space-in-our-user-names.379090/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a HP desktop with Windows Credentials and it won't fill in passwords and User Names in and Will Not In Credential Websites Fill Passwords Windows user names in websites I must tell you I haven't used Windows Credentials in the past because I had an antivirus which Windows Credential Will Not Fill in User Names and Passwords In Websites had a quot Safe quot which kept these things and it worked really well However I was having some real problems setting up a homegroup which has now been solved and one of the things suggested to me by those who were helping me work out this Homegroup problem was to switch my antivirus to Windows Essentials which I did When I uninstalled this other antivirus that had the ID Safe and went with Windows Credentials I found Windows Credentials wouldn't work at all It never fills in the user names and passwords for any website Just as a comparison I have a HP laptop running Win which is now part of my new Homegroup and I never have any trouble with Windows Credentials now or before filling in user names and passwords I'm killer on keeping up with all updates on both my PCs as I think of them like a car to keep a car in shape you need to do regular tune-ups oil changes and other maintenance procedures to keep it running in tiptop condition and the same with my PCs I think you'll find the necessary information on the desktop in the little blue arrow on the side where it says My System lt lt lt

A:Windows Credential Will Not Fill in User Names and Passwords In Websites

I meant Widodws Credential Manager.

And, in my laptop I need to type in the first letter of the user name before the Credential Manager will fill in the rest.

This doesn't happen in Credential Manager in the desktop......I get nothing.

Also, when I go to a new website which needs a user name and password, and I fill these in I get no notice Credential Manager has saved them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-credential-will-not-fill-in-user-names-and-passwords-in-websites-1063026.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi

I'm surprised that nobody else has this problem, but I've searched and can't find an answer...apologies if I've not looked hard enough but I decided to post a question because this is 'urgent' to me.

I had 2 children's accounts in Win 8, and had local Parental Controls. Upgraded OS to Win 10, and now I can't manage Parental Controls in Win 10 locally, so I 'think' I need to set up 'online Profiles' for them.

However, all their game progress, profile settings, etc are on their local profiles - how can I get all this data to be on their online Profiles? I didn't want to copy and paste folders (such as AppData) without knowing that this was a 'safe' way to do this.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Rgds,
Andy

A:How to copy user accounts in Win8 to online accounts in Win10

Hello Andy,

Have a look at the following tutorial which shows how to change a local account to an online one.

Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10

Hope this helps

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38452-how-copy-user-accounts-win8-online-accounts-win10.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I just finished setting up my grandchildren's computer and tried to set one Administrator's account and 3 limited accounts for them to use in order to stop them downloading so much. My problem came when I set it up at their house and learned that using their dial-up Netzero account, they couldn't get online. I could only connect through the Administrator's account. I have always read that one should never use the Administrator's account all the time for safety's sake, so I am assuming I did something wrong. Right now I have all of them set to Administrator again so they can all get online through their own user accounts.

Is there a way to change things so they can get online with limited accounts?

Thanks
Peg

Relevancy 60.63%

Hi all,

I'm having this issue with these red 'X' appearing in places of the pictures for this screen. Please refer to the image attached.

Thanks,

Stanley

A:Weird image problem in User Accounts Settings

Hi Stanley,

i've had this problem before but don't worry as it's easily fixed by running the attached registry file. All you need to do is merge the contents of the zip file and that should do it..though you may need to reboot to notice the fix.

Hope that helps

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/weird-image-problem-in-user-accounts-settings-205391.html
Relevancy 60.63%

The other day I thought it'd be a good idea to screw around with the settings on my parents' computer My parents say they can't trust me and you'll find out why My parents put a limitation in the first place for me to not w/ Control User administrator accounts problem (UAC) Account download anything malicious and around last summer I was always yelled at for using the computer at night so they put Parental Controls only the time limit from AM to PM and changed my account type to Standard User That means I can't use the computer at night even if I tried I was sick and tired of it User Account Control (UAC) problem w/ administrator accounts honestly so I thought the smart thing to do was to download an iso to burn to a disc to reset the password and or promote my account to administrator I downloaded the Trinity Rescue Kit and burnt it to a DVD in order to promote my account to administrator Little did I know the thing kind of messes up with your UAC I ignored the warnings In order to use Parental Controls you have to be a Standard User Which I updated my account's settings and well the controls didn't go away I still had the time limit and all the other stuff my parents put on User Account Control (UAC) problem w/ administrator accounts here I tried to go into the Control Panel to remove it and it did absolutely nothing When I clicked on my account's name it said I had to be a Standard User to change it I tried to change my account to a Standard one and it did absolutely nothing It remained an Administrator which I knew if I left my account as an Administrator my parents would one day find out that I've been downloading stuff and I've completely disobeyed them I later removed my parents' account's password and tried it there It didn't do anything but wipe their password oh great they're going to be more mad at me now My dad got really upset and threatened to delete my account along with all my files Here I am now on my sister's account on the machine I'm trying to access my account and type in the password but the User Account Control window pops up but the 'Yes' option is greyed out and there's no space to type in my password I rebooted into Safe Mode and saw that my account was not there I logged into my sister's account and the problem still persists On the login screen my account quot User quot will not show up when I booted it up earlier this evening it was working completely fine It said the warning that I wasn't allowed onto my account and then I logged into my sister's and rebooted and it was gone When I navigate to C Users - my account files are still there Not being able to access them because of the User Account Control window not letting me type any password or click 'yes' I have no idea what to do now I can't restore this machine back to the other date since it'll make my parents even more angry at me and I think using the DVD will just muck it up even more This is confusing me if anyone knows what they're doing and how to fix this please reply Thank you

A:User Account Control (UAC) problem w/ administrator accounts

I'm sure you do know the trouble you are in but there's really nothing else you can do but own up to the problem you have caused. Obviously the controls were put in place to prevent problems associated with nonresponsible actions.

Be prepared to have to do a Factory Restore on the computer/s if the login for your parents and/or your sister don't work. You might need a Linux LiveCD or LiveDVD bootable disc to first save any documents/data they have saved.

To avoid such problems in the future get your own computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/335391-user-account-control-uac-problem-w-administrator-accounts.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I was recently looking on techguy for a similar resolution to the below question in the forum.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista-7/822354-ccleaner-not-working-when-i.html

I do not have problems using the CC Cleaner in my account (admin) but when I run the cleaner it does not clean Chrome. See, my girl use chrome for her internet browser on her user account and I use Firefox in my admin user account.

IN fact i have this problem in a lot with programs like Tversity, CCleaner and AVG.

Do I have install the program on every User account (hence taking up room on my PC because I am installing the same program twice)?

And when I use virus programs do they sift for infections through all the users etc?

Thanks kindly.

w3b3d1g1

A:User Accounts in Vista - Operating programs in both accounts

hello w3b3d1g1

try this (in your account) start > all programs > any program you want to share > right click on that program.> choose share.. maybe what your looking for.

hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-in-vista-operating-programs-in-both-accounts.839860/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello,
We don't know what is going on here, one day it's fine the next day it says it's the wrong PW - and it's only my husband and I who have access to PC - so we have tried all day to get help and when we put in the product ID key it comes back that it is invalid! We have even used a magnifying glass and flashlight to ensure we have all the letters and numbers correct! Any suggests on the the PW issue? The only change we made was upgraded to IE 8, but that was days ago and everythig has been fine! I appreciate any suggestions or possible solutions!

Thank you.
Purplegirl

Relevancy 60.2%

I got locked out of a laptop i bought, i didnt know the users pw. I manually deleted the user and created the same name user with the net user command. i put a pw in it now so i can log in. The problem is that when i went back in and logged in with the new pw, windows created a new user with the same name as the old user but a new acct. the old user is locked out and i dont have admin previleges to get the files out of the my doc folder. anything i can do or should i just reformat and reinstall xp?

thanks alex

A:Windows XP User accounts

Which version of Windows XP are you using? HOME or PRO?

You have to have ADMIN rights to create the user account using NET USER. Which means that you should be able to right click on the old user's folders and PROPERTIES -> ADVANCED -> OWNERSHIP Take the ownership of the folder over! That should give you access to the files and folders.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-user-accounts.584666/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a friend who split up with his girl.... but that's another story.

Anyway, they both had their own user accounts in Win XP. Since she's not around anymore, he wants to delete her account, but, he wants to have all her files and programs installed on her account transfered over to his before the account is deleted. How is this done? He just wants everything from her account moved to his account and then delete hers.

A:Windows User Accounts

i'd be embassed to ask for help in how to do this.

a cheesey kind of guy, wants to see her stuff before he removes the account, maybe that's why she dumped him.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-user-accounts.507885/
Relevancy 60.2%

My brother wants to edit videos and use Photoshop, how can I make an account that gives him access to those programs so he can save his work and where he can't snoop through all my stuff? Thanks!

A:Windows 10 user accounts

Create a local account for your brother on your Windows 10 PC. Go to Settings > Accounts > Family & other users.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437009-windows-10-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have installed the Windows 8.1 update on two computers; one requires a password to login which I have changed to a PIN, the other logs in with no password.

How can I log in without a password or pin on the computer set to do so as control userpasswords2 will not let me change the password or delete the account and I don't want to set up more accounts

A:Windows 8.1 user accounts

Hello 1018509,

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what you meant in that last sentence. Please clarify if the below is not what you meant.

If you were wanting to set Windows 8 to automatically sign in to the user account without a password at startup, then you could use the tutorial below to do so with leaving the password fields empty.

If you were wanting to make a change for the account with a password, then you would need to start over in netplwiz to enter the new password instead. PINs are not used here.

Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/33939-windows-8-1-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I got my wife a gateway laptop for xmas. We never bothered to setup user accounts because she was the only one using the computer. My computer at work crashed so I brought my things home and setup an admin account with my name on her computer. Now when we boot the computer up the only account that comes up is mine. If you go in to the local disk drive and "documents and settings" you can see her Admin folder with all her documents and programs and settings. But I can't reactivate her account?

A:User Accounts Windows XP

brown76 said:

I got my wife a gateway laptop for xmas. We never bothered to setup user accounts because she was the only one using the computer. My computer at work crashed so I brought my things home and setup an admin account with my name on her computer. Now when we boot the computer up the only account that comes up is mine. If you go in to the local disk drive and "documents and settings" you can see her Admin folder with all her documents and programs and settings. But I can't reactivate her account?Click to expand...

If yo ugo to user accounts in control panel ,you should see change the way users logon or off ,make sure it check to use the welcome screen

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-windows-xp.476753/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have just put windows 8.1 on a new drive for a couple. The old drive has failed. I got the husband on and he has user-folders tied to his account, but when I added an account for his wife via control panel, nothing is showing for her when I go to Users. Does that person have to put their e-mail address in, or something like that? I am a Windows 7 person and this new way of doing things is trial and error for me. I have another two computers to fix yet so am finding it testing to have to keep playing guessing games with Windows 8.1. Guidance from them as know would be appreciated....

A:how to get user accounts on Windows 8.1

I believe it works the same as it did in Win 7, if you create an account for her, nothing will show up under Users until that account gets logged into the first time.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/56772-how-get-user-accounts-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello,

I had only one user account, and it was the default Administrator account. I added another account so I could activate the remote user feature for my laptop. So...when I was loggoing on, the startup screen would show the admin user, and the New User name.

When I just started up...the admin user is gone at the logon screen, and the user I set up for the remote access is the only one there.

I now want to delete this account. I have been online and read that another admin (the new account has admin privs) can only delete a user...but when I click on the user name...there is NO option to delete that user account...

I need the original account activated, as that is where all my stuff is....email, etc....

Any help is MUCHLY appriciated...

Parm

Relevancy 60.2%

Hi

My son downloaded the latest version of ICQ, but can't run it, because I have given him an XP 'Limited Account' - I don't want him to have an administrator's account, for obvious reasons (downloading trash programs, etc. that destabilise the registry).

He can't use his ICQ, unless I change his account to 'administrator' - does anyone know how I can 'allow' him to use ICQ, without his having an administrator account?

Thanks

Intel P4 1.8MHz
512MB
64MB NVidia
80MB HDD
Win XP Home Edition

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-user-accounts-icq.126321/
Relevancy 60.2%

Got Win RP up and for what me? accounts: Windows user right is 8 running on my home PC on a separate partition from the main OS WinXP x I was a little surprised at the request to log in with my Microsoft account Windows Live credentials I understand that can be used to quot sync quot various things Windows 8 user accounts: what is right for me? across devices which could Windows 8 user accounts: what is right for me? be handy but I'm a little concerned about security and am wondering what's the best type of account for me and my wife to use A little context we have this one home-built desktop PC WinXP Pro x and one Windows 8 user accounts: what is right for me? Dell laptop WinXP Pro x The Dell laptop is used pretty much strictly for web browsing and that's it Sometimes a few pics or documents may be viewed on the laptop but the data is all stored in shared folders on the desktop's data storage HDD D drive The desktop is used for various things like finance work office document work with OpenOffice some photo editing work web browsing music with iTunes or WinAmp light music file editing burning CD's or DVD's etc Right now the desktop has a single Admin user with a password and the laptop has a user with no password Both my wife and I use both machines using the single user account on each The laptop has some Firefox bookmarks added by both of us and the desktop has the same I was just reading earlier this week how it's better especially in XP to use a Normal user account for day to day stuff as opposed to Admin accounts and so I was thinking of switching over and creating Normal user accounts for each of us at least on the Desktop But then I load Win where I sign in with my Microsoft credentials My wife does not have a Microsoft account When I check in Users it says the user profile using my e-mail is an Administrator account As I understand it I can create quot normal quot non-admin accounts in Win but they will be local users only and there would be no synchronizing of favorites apps etc across devices Now I haven't really decided yet if we need to have stuff sync'd between desktop and laptop We do not have any tablets and only have our two iPhones So how can I create different user accounts that could sync across devices if we decide to but are not Admin accounts that could be vulnerable to attack Does each user have to have a Microsoft account for this to work My wife and I share a single iTunes account because we wanted to be able to share music and apps between our iPhones I would think we would also want to share Microsoft apps if we chose to go with Win and not Win I REALLLLLLY love Win but not so sure about yet Maybe we need to just continue using the same user account on both machines tied to my Microsoft credentials but how do I get it to not be an Admin account

A:Windows 8 user accounts: what is right for me?

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

As I understand it, I can create "normal" (non-admin) accounts in Win8, but they will be local users only, and there would be no synchronizing of favorites, apps, etc. across devices. Now I haven't really decided yet if we need to have stuff sync'd between desktop and laptop. We do not have any tablets, and only have our two iPhones.

With respect to "normal" accounts, they can be standard accounts as well as administrative accounts. Within Vista, 7 and now 8, it's normal to have an account which escalates to admin privs when needed, but remains a normal account for all intents and purposes.

The reason that you have to use a live account for the sync functionality is because the system uses the SkyDrive cloud system as the storage mechanism and synchronization mechanism. One point you may not understand, is that the synchronization is "only" between Windows 8 boxes....not to tablets, windows XP machines, or cell phones. So, if you have 2 Windows 8 computers, you could use the Live Account and then ensure that your favorites and color scheme remain the same between the two.

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94

So how can I create different user accounts, that could sync across devices if we decide to, but are not Admin accounts that could be vulnerable to attack? Does each user have to have a Microsoft account for this to work?

Each person would have to use a Microsoft account. But it's not like your settings would go to your wife and her settings would go to you. You would each have an account on each PC, and when you log in, you get your settings and when she logs in she gets here settings. Her account is synced across devices she uses and yours is synced across devices that you use.

Using a Live account is still a standard account which can escalate to admin when necessary. This really is what you want and the way nearly all of us run our systems.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/8156-windows-8-user-accounts-what-right-me.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I work on a pc with multiple user a/cs on it. When you change from one account to another/log off and then log back in, at the point where you put your password in it comes up with message saying how many e-mails are waiting under that user name.

My work pc now shows up my private e-mail address at that stage as well as my work e-mail address. Yikes! Does anyone know how to get rid of that message? I have tried deleting history, cookies etc and also deleting stored passwords (ie MSN Messenger).

I have also tried following this link http://www.winxptutor.com/unreadmails.htm and installing the tool. However it doesn't give me the option to sort it out

Any help most appreciated..before I get sacked!

A:Help!! - Windows XP User Accounts

I doubt you are able to do so if it is your work pc. But give it a try.

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/emailui.php

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-windows-xp-user-accounts-122258.html
Relevancy 60.2%

We have a valid Windows 7 disk that we recently upgraded our computer to. My husband forgot his password, and attempted a password reset utility. That has led to the Admin account being disabled and his user account is now a guest account that has no ability to do anything. Help?

A:Windows 7 user accounts help

We cannot help with passwords, it is against forum rules, sorry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-user-accounts-help.866036/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have windows laptops for my students and I'm beyond exhausted for dealing with the poorly thought out consequences for the end user and the priorities of the end user I spent forever unistalling the junk and distractions as an administrator for these laptop 8 Windows accounts user I also spent forever putting the most needed items in the start page first and then I started setting up student accounts It took me about hours to do this for just the laptops because of the lack of user friendliness It is amazing how often when you've left clicked to get the application menu it will also open Windows 8 user accounts and how often you have to shut these garbage applications and try again to get rid of them Anyway much to my horror all the crap that I uninstalled reinstalled itself to the student accounts taking up an enormous amount of time School started yesterday and these laptops required so much work I only got a generic student account set up and never had a chance to check it out This is a serious problem It took most of the one class for this computer to reinstall the junk First day of school and I had one kids at high risk of dropping out as in he just didn't come last year already frustrated and hating his class Microsoft is seriously a disaster to education Anyway I didn't realize the problem had been the reinstalling of all the junk I spent hours after school yesterday working on getting the student specific accounts set up and I got through laptops and I have a class in minutes and I didn't get to any of the work necessary to actually prepare for the course content I'm supposed to teach Anyway is there anything I can do so the user accounts that I set up mirror how I set up the administrator account and do not reinstall all the junk

A:Windows 8 user accounts

Anyway, is there anything I can do so the user accounts that I set up mirror how I set up the administrator account and do not reinstall all the junk?

Not really sure on that part of your problem....You could try asking your schools network administrator for some advice on that, he/she might be able to give you some tips.

As to make your windows 8 experience a little better and more enjoyable, try installing Classic shell on them....it gives you the look and feel of windows 7 but with all the advantages/efficiency of windows 8. It's free.

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/30354-windows-8-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Problem with user accounts no taskbar no explorer exe it isn't running no desktop icons Hi I'm having trouble when I load my desktop with no accounts:no explorer.exe, Problem user taskbar, no icons side of the computer and the only way I can access programs is through Windows Task Manager All that will load is the desktop background picture I have looked up various solutions - it seems the explorer exe process is Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe, no desktop icons missing or unable to be located when I try to run it I have ran Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe, no desktop icons an AVG scan and two infection were found and supposedly healed These were C Programfiles MicrosoftCommon wuauclt exe Win Heur and C WINDOWS System ntos trojanhorsePakes c RZ Have not yet ran any other scans and really need futher advice on what to do next I have Spybot and Adaware but have not yet ran a scan since before the computer started playing up I've also had to manually open Zonealarm so that I have a functioning firewall I've only had this problem once before - I think it was yesterday and I panicked and just turned off the computer at the switch Restarted everything was fine and the toolbar amp desktop was there Today it was working fine until I turned it on about hours ago

A:Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe, no desktop icons

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcacat

Problem with user accounts:no taskbar, no explorer.exe (it isn't running), no desktop icons

Hi I'm having trouble when I load my side of the computer and the only way I can access programs is through Windows Task Manager. All that will load is the desktop background picture. I have looked up various solutions - it seems the explorer.exe process is missing or unable to be located when I try to run it. I have ran an AVG scan and two infection were found and supposedly healed. These were C:\Programfiles\MicrosoftCommon\wuauclt.exe (Win32\Heur)and C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntos (trojanhorsePakes_c.RZ). Have not yet ran any other scans and really need futher advice on what to do next! I have Spybot and Adaware but have not yet ran a scan since before the computer started playing up. I've also had to manually open Zonealarm so that I have a functioning firewall :/

I've only had this problem once before - I think it was yesterday and I panicked and just turned off the computer at the switch. Restarted, everything was fine and the toolbar &desktop was there. Today it was working fine until I turned it on about 2 hours ago

I've seen something like this once but could not fix it, however try the following. At the blank desktop (just wallpaper) bring up task manager ctrl-alt-delete. You should see some tasks but explorer.exe is missing.

Click new task, enter explorer.exe and press enter. The rest of the desktop will load, icons, taskbar and menubar. You now have a chance to fix whats wrong.
If you can run a scan with either SysInternals autorun of HijackThis this will be your best chance, compare each running task with google, you may be able to pinpoint the cause(s).

You may however be able to create a new user in control panel with admin rights and copy your files across from the old account to the new account.
I'm not sure exactly where in the boot process explorer.exe is called from, but your machie has been compromised, and sometimes its easier to format and reinstall.

The machine I had a look at for a friend also had a folder on the root C: drive just called ! This folder contained hundreds of p0rn type avi's but worse still refused to be delted recreating itself on reboot. Check for any strange folder names called ! may also be worth you running msconfig and hecking the contents of win.ini system.ini, startup services and programs.
Good luck.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-user-accounts-no-taskbar-no-explorer-exe-no-desktop-icons-273358.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I had 3 user accounts on my PC where only one was an administrator. I changed the administrator to limited account and then made the second account as an administrator and created a password for it. I then restarted my PC. Suprisingly, when I went to control panel and user accounts, I can now only find one limited account. I cannot find the administrator account or the guest account. How do I get them back? Please help.

Relevancy 59.34%

Hi guys, i got 2 user accounts on my winxp.

I just noticed that if account1 downloaded and installed an update on windows update, the updates was not automatically installed on account2.

This means that I have to download and install the same update on both user accounts.

Is this normal or something is wrong with my xp?

Please help, thanks in advanced.

A:windows update on 2 user accounts

No, you should only need to download the update once, maybe the second a/c cannot read the update history or something and assumes no update has applied.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-on-2-user-accounts.712894/
Relevancy 59.34%

My Sis-in-law gave us her old P- Compaq desktop She set me up as an Administrator via Control Panel and deleted old user accounts However looking in My Computer gt Presario C gt Documents and Settings there are now accounts with old ones still there taking up space and boot time with all kinds of different programs and access to system tools The PC is very sluggish and full of junk which I want to trash Never had this problem with old Windows SE PCs I would like to set up one Administrator with access to system tools System Restore etc and two additional users All users Default User I even tried to rename the original Administrative User but access was denied because it was a 'System File' Is there a way to eliminate or rename the Windows up XP user accounts Setting unused Accounts without re-installing XP or re-registering the PC I would also like to change the owner Setting up Windows XP user accounts name etc I have the OEM licensed XP disk from my HP Pavillion notebook Sure would like to recycle this PC for my little girls homework Webkinz and game use Thanks anyone Dave

A:Setting up Windows XP user accounts

Quote:

> What are the steps to complete remove an unneeded User Profile and
> all related files and folders?

1. Right-click My Computer and select Properties to bring up the System
Properties panel.

2. Click the Advanced tab and then, in the User Profiles area, click the
Settings button.

3. From the User Profile dialog box select the individual profile you want
to delete.

4. Click the Delete button and confirm the action.

5. Click OK.

Please note that User profiles can contain files that you may need. It is a
good practice to review the directory and backup any needed files before
deleting the profile.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

source

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/setting-up-windows-xp-user-accounts-356035.html
Relevancy 59.34%

After a mass spyware adware dialer browser hijacker trojan infection I was in DOS trying to delete a bad dll file logjja dll Then all of the sudden it started deleting a bunch of dll files until I just shut the computer down When I restarted it Windows said that it was missing a dll file and ALL in XP user accounts Windows Lost needed it to start I reinstalled Windows XP Home Lost ALL user accounts in Windows XP SP and when it was starting up it asked me to put in the names of the people that use the computer so I did When the computer finally booted up nothing was the Lost ALL user accounts in Windows XP way it was I lost all of my user accounts including the Administrator account and the settings that were saved under each name However when I looked around all of the programs that I downloaded and all of the files that were saved under each account before the dll files got deleted were still there I want to know Lost ALL user accounts in Windows XP if there is any way that I can restore all of my user accounts and settings to the way they were before any of this happened Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Lost ALL user accounts in Windows XP

First thing to try would be a system restore assuming it was turned on

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-all-user-accounts-in-windows-xp.348264/
Relevancy 59.34%

I cannot login in other user accounts because there is an outlook account which i dont even know its password. How do i remove that account and login with other accounts like the administrator

A:why cant i use other user accounts to login in windows 10

Whose Outlook account is it? Ask them to log in and create a new user account for you.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439243-why-cant-i-use-other-user-accounts-login-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I set up a a bunch of user accounts for the Teaching Assistants in our department. Sometimes when they log-in it says something like, "You have 14 days to change your password." That's not exact, but it is something similar.

Is this because they are setup as "Restricted Users?" If so, is there a way to prevent that message from coming up? Or will I have to make them "Standard Users?"

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Relevancy 59.34%

I am the only user on this Windows laptop No one else Confused by accounts! user/windows here wilI use it my wife would be frightened to use it and Confused by user/windows accounts! she has her own anyway I want to be able to login or rather not to have to login when Windows starts up I did have this working until an update not sure which one though Now I have to login with a password I don't know if this is a Windows password or a user account password I came across a screen that said mine was the only account and it was the Admin account and I couldn't change it as there was no other account setup I just want to switch on and get the the desktop without fiddly passwords I was locked out the other day when something happened don't know what and I had to restore an image from days previous and I could then get in again but even then I had to create a password to do so I do sometimes use a MS account if I buy an app from the Store but I don't want to have to use the MS login just to use my system I hate Windows sometimes Can some kind Guru please set me right

A:Confused by user/windows accounts!

See this tutorial for help: Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/56731-confused-user-windows-accounts.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I want to change the account for my local administrator or delete my local administrator account.

I am bewildered as to how to do this.

Thanks, Kev.

A:Windows Vista - User Accounts

in the control panel under users you can set the accounts to whatever privileges you wish

but not the windows admin account,this account is hidden

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-vista-user-accounts-417574.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi

I need some advice regarding accounts please.
We have 30 computers running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, is there a way to transfer a users account and settings like MS Outlook, browser to another computer over the LAN? Would like to be able to kind of hot desk but setting up a user on another PC takes time especially if it needs doing frequently.

Hope someone can help. Thanks

A:How to manage several user accounts windows 7

This is easy with a domain controller but no idea if can be done with standalone PCs.

The term you are looking for is a roaming profile - I have no knowledge if possible on non-domain PCs.

You could try to setup a dummy account, configure it as roaming (if possible with standalone PC) - you would need a file server to hold the profiles etc. Then try to connect to it but I am not very hopeful of this method.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/375042-how-manage-several-user-accounts-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 59.34%

The other day I was using the net on my other computer, multi-tasking and the whole bit. Then suddenly my computer froze and to no avail, I had to unplug the power cord to try to reboot. Now everytime I try to boot up, I just get a blue screen with the Windows XP logo and my 3 admin user accounts were all deleted. Thus I can't even log into XP. I had updated Ad-Aware SE and Norton Internet Security 2004 with everything enabled. Can anyone tell me at least a method to try to reinstall windows? Because I have an external USB CD-Rom drive and I haven't had any success with the "f8" button when I try to load up my recovery disk. Could this be another IE security exploitation? Please help!

Max

A:Windows XP SP1 won't let me log on or even show user accounts...

Your USB CD should not interfere with your ability to get into Safe Mode. What is the problem you are having with that procedure?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-sp1-wont-let-me-log-on-or-even-show-user-accounts-25331.html
Relevancy 59.34%

One of my neighbours created two Computer Administrator accounts when he received his PC from Dell and now finds that some of the programs he has installed can be accessed from one account and not the other.
He wants to delete one of the Computer Administrator accounts but wants to know whether he will lose any of the information for that account.
If that is the case, he can copy it over to the remaining account.

Many thanks for the use of your accumulated expertise.

Anthony

A:Solved: Windows Xp - user accounts

As long as he retains Administrator status, he can always change ownership of any file he needs to access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-user-accounts.197820/
Relevancy 59.34%

I would like to create two user accounts in Windows 7 Pro x64, each with their own separate running services. One account with just about all services running and a second account with just the bare minimum for playing games.

I tried doing this but found out that the services settings stay the same on both accounts. If I turn a service off on account one, that same service is disabled in account two even if I completely log out of account one.

Is there any way around this or is duel booting the only solution?

Thanks for your help.

A:User accounts and services Windows 7 Pro x64

Win7 does not need services edited as all services not needed at startup are set to Manual on fast triggers.

It should never hang or bog with a perfect install on adequate hardware. Make sure you have a perfect install as outlined in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

You may be confusing Services with programs which are freeloading on your Startup. You don't need any of these except your AV to start with Windows. So establish a Clean Boot as shown in Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

If you have low resources then edit visual effects of sliding, fading, animation, dragging intact and selection rectangle as shown in Optimize Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/279815-user-accounts-services-windows-7-pro-x64.html
Relevancy 59.34%

i need to get admin. rights on my pc. but it's setup as to automatically login as a limited account. i tried everything from using the hidden user account at the welcome screen but theres already a password for that too. tried using command prompt but it won't work it says ERROR 5 and the msg config and everything says you must have admin. priveleges in order to proceed so log back in with your administrator account. how in the heck am i supposed to if i can't log in as an adminisrtator anyway that means its useless!!!!! even in safe mode it wont work . someone please help me!!!

Relevancy 59.34%

Hello,
I have a simple question but very complicated for me.I need to download software from HP,the only way that I was to download the software was to create a new user account, which I did and the software downloaded, but what happened is that my administrator account disappeared which is were I have all of my documents, pictures etc. I could not figure out how to keep my administrator account and a new user account, so I finally did a system restore which deleted the new user account and gave me back my administrator account and now I don't have the software I downloaded anymore.

What is the best way to solve this problem?

Thank you for any help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-professional-user-accounts.756430/
Relevancy 59.34%

Now I ve just gotten my computer back from the fix-it guy My monitor had bust so I went out and bought a brand spanking new Acer quot The new monitor works fine now and as far as the fix-it guy s concerned so s my computer However upon turning my computer back on it booted reguarily but when it gets to the Welcome Screen for the XP OS Click a user name to begin there are no user names I access the alternate log-in method with CTRL ALT DELETE x and I enter the Access to User Windows XP Accounts No details fix-it guy told me to put it and it says they re incorrect no matter how many times I try He s convinced that it s my monitor that disallows the viewing of user accounts but I think he s full of it So I was hoping someone here would be able to come up with a way that I can access windows and avoid this log-on thing If I could just access Windows once then I would create an account and everything would be fine and dandy but I can t I ve tried running in safe mode safe mode with command prompt but nothing seems to work I ve been reluctant to do a system restore since that No User Accounts to Access Windows XP s what fix-it guy did and I don t want to do anything unnecessary And thus I m here since fix-it guy refuses to help nbsp

A:No User Accounts to Access Windows XP

Welcome to TSG!

NinjaPoohtan said:

He's convinced that it's my monitor that disallows the viewing of user accounts, but I think he's full of it.Click to expand...

I think you think right. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I'd have him prove that his Monitor can show accounts, and have him explain just what evil software was installed on the monitor to selectively erase the user tiles from the welcome screen.

Even if that was possible, doesn't explain the fact that the account info he gave you doesn't work on the Classic login screen.

Sure hope you paid with a credit card. I'd have them reverse the charge, and tell the fix it guy he doesn't get paid until he fixes it correctly.

Have you tried in Safe Mode?

Only other thing I can think of is if he didn't actually set a password on the Builtin Administrator account.

Type in Administrator and leave the password blank and see if you can get in that way.

HTH

jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-user-accounts-to-access-windows-xp.831587/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello,

I work with a local non-profit and we are trying to control access to a computer in our organization which runs Windows Vista Home Premium. What we are trying to achieve is to control the downloading of programs and files that may be harmful to the PC as well as have an individual log on for each user so if something does happen we can track who was logged on when it happened. We want to use the Parental Controls feature but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a limit to how many standard users you could have. We have about 45 to 50 members that would need their own individual log on and I was wondering if the PC would accomodate this many users on the startup screen.?
Thanks

A:User Accounts In Windows Vista

You may want to change the Startup screen to were you have to enter your Username and Password this will save a lot of Time also I am not aware of Limitations to the amount of users Allowed on parental Controls But If you just want to Moniter the User then only Click turn on Activity Reports

See Logon with Username and Password For More Information

Also to make sure you have a Secure Administrator Please see Administrator Account For More Information

If you need anymore Information than please do not Hesitate to Ask

Many Thanks,
Josh

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/284938-user-accounts-windows-vista.html
Relevancy 59.34%

i dont want my windows user accounts linked, i want to have a really sucure account and another that i download on. but not be connected. i was downlaoding on piaret bay and i saw that the programs where on both my windows accounts my admin and normal. please help me UN link the two

A:windows user accounts issue

There is really no such way to accomplish what you want. Installed programs are technically available to all users by design. Your user accounts aren't "linked" in anyway.

My suggestion is to not use torrent sites and related one who are only a gateway to malware.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/245094-windows-user-accounts-issue.html
Relevancy 59.34%

hello all, i have a user account on windows vista as well as an Administrator account however i am having problems moving files around when on user account as it keeps stating i need administrator rights to m,ove certain downloaded files. The problem is when i go onto my system under the administrator user the downloaded files are not there.Is there any way i can combine my user account with the administrator account or is there another solution? Any input would be appreciated, thankyou,david.

A:Windows Vista User Accounts.

It all depends on the locations that you're trying to access (the places you're moving from and the places that you're moving to).
In particular, there's a Downloads folder in the root (base) of my C:\ drive that requires this sort of action every time.

The easiest way is to open Windows Explorer as an Administrator. Go to Start and type "windows explorer" (without the quotes).
At the top of the list that shows, right click on "Windows Explorer" and select "Run as administrator". It'll prompt you for your Administrator credentials and then will open with Administrator privileges.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/147616/windows-vista-user-accounts/
Relevancy 59.34%

When user account page is accesed, no details are shown for any user on the respective page ( except BACK and HOME)
How can the details be retrieved

A:User accounts in Windows XP Professional

You have to be logged in as an account that has Administrative rights.
Why are you trying to view the details of users?

Poyol

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-in-windows-xp-professional-514371.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have XP home. My CPU has two HDD. One is used for storage. The other has my OS and windows user acconts. When my wife logs on to her user account she can't see her documents in her My documents window. I navigate to D: \ Documents&Settings and see a list of folders ( the users). Administrator, All Users, Me, Kids, Sister, Wife, Wife.temp, Wife.temp(2)..I need help understanding why the Wife.temp folders are being created and what I should do about it.

A:Temporary Windows User Accounts

WAG would be corrupt user profile/account.Have you tried creating a new one?You might take a look at a couple of these links: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=t...y+user+accountsLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136267/temporary-windows-user-accounts/
Relevancy 59.34%

okay, so i was bored one day and i start playing with my computer, i put a password on my acccount and made it so other people coudn't access my files. then the computor screwed up and i had to restart it, but, when i tried to log in, it told me that my account "has been locked out, please contact the administrator" so i restart it and it makes a new account for me but i can't get it back because i locked all my files.

...Any ideas?

A:Windows XP Pro User Accounts - Locked Out

How did you lock the files? did you encrypt them?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-pro-user-accounts-locked-out-250118.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Every time i boot my laptop all the user accounts are not visible. The only 2 that are visible is the last one i created and a log in account. Also when i go to Manage local users and groups the option is not there. I have googled this and people have said to delete a reg key but the key doesn't exist in my reg. I'm thinking its something to do with permissions and it's driving me crazy. Please help me get them back Also when i'm logged in and i go to switch user the accounts are not available

Relevancy 59.34%

Since yesterday, I'm unable to switch between user accounts. Button changes from white to blue when hovered, but no response to click. Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

A:Can't switch between user accounts - Windows 10

Hello Regmay and welcome

The following tutorial shows six different ways to switch between user accounts. Maybe you can try some of these alternatives to see if they work for you.

Switch User in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/39503-cant-switch-between-user-accounts-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 59.34%

In the beginning I would like to apologize for my bad English and my poor knowledge of the subject I am running a Windows Enterprise This laptop was my father's and he got it from his old company Credentials I used to log User Accounts 7 Windows issue in were PROM ratk domain user password In control panel user accounts I found out that the computer had accounts of them were on a different domain RATK user and RATK user I wanted to make a new username so i tried to delete all of them The only one I couldn't delete was the second one RATK user I edited it so Windows 7 User Accounts issue that it had my username and my password Additionally I made that account Windows 7 User Accounts issue the 'Administrator' one When I restarted my computer I logged in with the new and to my knowledge the only Windows 7 User Accounts issue account I couldn't change the firewall settings The message quot For your security some settings are managed by your system administrator quot I tried to log with the old account and the old domain PROM ratk and it worked Like the account has never been deleted My question is Is there a way for me to DELETE ALL of the accounts and just end up with ONE that will have ALL the administrator privileges so that I can freely change firewall settings and still keep all of my programs and files there still are some important files on the PROM ratk account

A:Windows 7 User Accounts issue

I would recommend reinstalling Windows if possible - start with a clean slate.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-user-accounts-issue-974401.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I was just wondering if someone could point me to a good website that explains setting up different user accounts in Windows 2000. I have looked on google, microsoft, etc. but it's hard to find good instructions. Can someone help me?

Thanks

A:User Accounts in Windows 2000

Try helmig http://www.wown.com/

click on the version of 2k you have

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-in-windows-2000.74271/
Relevancy 59.34%

Umm......My user account on my machine is set up as Administrator, of course. However, if I go to the account manager section and try to add a new user, it's not an option. It's.......just not there. What up with dat? LOL

I don't really know what other information to give. This was a recent install (within the last couple of weeks), and this particular run is a restore from a Macrium image file. (I changed over from MBR to GPT via Macrium image because I didn't realize my original install was going to automatically default to MBR.) Other than that, the installation has been working problem free since I got everything panned out. I have had zero problems.

Could the changeover to GPT from MBR cause problems with permissions somehow? I would venture to say that something is very wrong here, considering that I can't create user accounts.

A:I cannot create user accounts in Windows 8.1

Nevermind. For some reason on the accounts screen, you can't add a new user. You have to look at the bottom where it says "Manage Another Account" then "Add a new user in PC settings." Then it goes to one of those "charm" screens where you have to do it there. I guess that's the way the version I installed works. The only difference between this machine and the other Windows 8.1 machines I have is that this one I installed 8.1 onto directly from OEM media. The others were upgraded from 8.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/69120-i-cannot-create-user-accounts-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have a small problem with user accounts. Myself, my wife and my son are all set up as Computer Administrators. However in Windows Explorer I can only see my docs and my sons docs but not my wife's, she can see her docs and my son's docs but not mine. As neither of us have a problem with sharing documents and often are sat together at the computer it is annoying not to be able to open up say an XL file or a Word doc held on the others profile. We then have to fiddle about switching users. Is there an easy fix so we can both see each others docs on our computer?

A:Help Re/user Accounts In Windows Explorer

Not too sure about this but have you enable viewing hidden files and folder?Please set your system to show all files.Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file typesUncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.Click Yes to confirm.After enabling, see if you are able to view your wife folder.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/97912/help-reuser-accounts-in-windows-explorer/
Relevancy 59.34%

I bought this PC brand new a few months ago I have only ever created One account a Microsoft Account on Windows Today I thought I would temporarily enable the Administrator accounts user about Windows 8.1 Question account So I enabled the account and logged off my account What I find as odd is that when I go to the login screen there are Administrator accounts listed along with my normal account Out of curiosity I tried them both and they both let me login without a password After loging out and loging back into my regular account I disabled the administrator account when going back to the login screen neither one of the listed administrator accounts were available as an option I was just wondering if this is normal or what might could be going on here I find it odd that I would enable the Administrator account but it be listed times as an option to login Could someone have hacked my PC and created a HIDDEN Administrator account that only they can log into Any information on this would be greatly appreciated

A:Question about user accounts Windows 8.1

What date was the second admin. account created? Was it created before the date that you actually purchased your PC?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568751/question-about-user-accounts-windows-81/