Windows Support Forum

Home Network Switch

Q: Home Network Switch

My understanding of how a switch functions is that it does NOT increase your internet connection speeds but DOES increase the speed of your network locally _ between PC's, BlueRay players, gaming consoles, etc. and the router/ modem.
Can anyone confirm this?

I am asking because I am going to take down my modem and router, re-wire everything, and start over. Some of the equipment is already LAN connected and I want to add some more - thus adding a switch. When I do this I want to change my wireless router to WAP only and no longer use the ports on it.

My goal is to increase the transfer speed within my network and lighten the load on my wireless router to increase speed there. I am not changing NIC cards or ISPs , just rearranging what I have to make it more efficient.

Any tips , pointers, links?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Home Network Switch

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Home Network Switch

A switch Does Not really increase LAN speed. It just gives more ports for connecting devices by ethernet which is usually faster than wireless.

A 1000 MB (gig) switch will only work at 100 MB if the devices it is connected to have only 100 MB ports.

With a switch, all traffic will be going through the port on the madem/router which is probably a 100MB max

Changing a device from connecting using 802.11g wireless to ethernet will increase the transfer speed between that device and others that are connected by ethernet. 54 Mb max versus 100 MB max.

Using the router as a WAP ( bypassing the router/DHCP function) might show an increase in wireless efficiency, if the number of devices connecting with wireless are severely reduced.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-switch.1092612/
Relevancy 64.93%

hey i have a little problen here i need to switch from public network to home and i cant seen to be able to due need help please

A:switch from public network to home

Hello Nancy, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The tutorial below can help show you how to.

Network Location - Set as Home, Work, or Public Network

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/160703-switch-public-network-home.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello all basically i for home What CCNA Router/Switch and network have a simple question for u network gurus Currently am looking into buying a router not What Router/Switch for home network and CCNA wireless atleast not necessary if for the same price then why not for my home network since my old one died somehow probably cause of heavy traffic up down Now the problem is that i also plan to take the CCNA exam in the near future and hence i thought it would be better to get from now the equipment to start practicing oncetwice a week The only thing that dissapoints me on the whole process is that they can become quite expensive and i was not planning to give more than used on ebay The only requirements i have is that the router switch is operating to atleast Mbit prefferably Gbit but What Router/Switch for home network and CCNA i doubt i ll get this at the price am asking beying cisco aswell which can become very expensive If one can recommend either a a decent router on its own like netgear usrobotics cisco for my home network only so i can connect all of my systems b or a router and switch hub for use on the home network as the primary network components and for studying practicing towards CCNA basically all the router models and details get my head boggling and to identify a good model will take me sometime and i wanted to get this in the next hours for instance on a setup i am after i would wont both router and switch to be Mbit and not only the switch as i would want to keep the router for a number of years possibly yes i know am cheap thanks guys What Router/Switch for home network and CCNA hope for some positive response babaye ps using ntl cable at the moment so not necessary to be with adsl port like modem and stuff nbsp

A:What Router/Switch for home network and CCNA

First, the top-end stuff would really be neat, but features come at a price, so
most commercial routers are eliminated.

review this post for some ideas.

Personally, I've been using a Netgear 4-port for several years and it's been
a faithful servant

Don't get confused re router vs switch/hub. The router is at the top of the list.
A switch(preferred) or hub can then be attached to the router to make more
connections available.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-router-switch-for-home-network-and-ccna.67304/
Relevancy 63.21%

I recently started using a gigabit switch alongside my TP-Link router.

My room is setup like a LAN area, with a desk long enough for 4 pc's, so I have 4 cables running from the switch to the computers.

My router is providing DHCP and has a PS3 and VOIP phone plugged up to it.

Is there anything blaring that would cause the machines not to transfer files at gigabit speeds? Currently they transfer at 10-12mbps, which is normal for a 10/100 connection.

Anything I'm missing?

I can get into a lot of detail, but I need to know what needs to be told.

A:Home Network Routing - Using a Switch for file transfers?

Weakest link in the chain prevails.

Code:

ISP=Router--switch-- PC{1+}
|
+--- other device(s)

Consider just devices attached to the router, the slowest Nic {wired or wifi} will control the bandwidth to the device. A PC with a 10/100 adapter dominate data to/from it regardless of the GB Switch. If PC.a and PC.b (both with GB adapters and attached to the switch) copy 'twix each other, you may get much better performance.

Data to/from other devices (attached to the router) will be dominated by the Router LAN port speeds or the devices themselves.

99% of us get no benefit whatsoever from GB routers or Switches as all devices need GB ratings :sigh:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-routing-using-a-switch-for-file-transfers.192722/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi I m hoping to extend my home network to include a few more devices and am looking for a little advice My current network comprises a Buffalo WBMR G UK router This is wired to a laptop a desktop and a music server Roku Soundbridge A nd Roku music server and my PS are connected wirelessly I plan to add a Linksys NSLU connected to a TB drive to serve my media and to wire the wireless components Ultimately I will have wired devices but only ethernet ports on my router I have a nd Buffalo WBMR G UK and also a spare old BT router lying around I had planned on converting one of these routers probably the Buffalo to work as a straight switch I then planned to connect the music servers and the NSLU to the quot switch quot and then connect the switch the pcs and the PS to the primary gateway router So my questions Can I use the nd router as a switch in this manner If so can you tell me what I need to do to it ie what settings to change in each router to make this happen Is it possible to stack the router and switch in this way and have all wired items accessing the network simultaneously or will I still be limited by the gateway router to just active ports with the devices on the switched port only being active one at a time If the answer to these questions are no then can you suggest another way to do this without spending too much time and money on this project Any advice on this is much as Buffalo a to switch network extend router home Using appreciated as I m essentially a network novice Thanks and Merry Christmas nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

Basically what the title says Here is the layout Comcast modem - gt home router default gateway linksys e - - gt unmanaged netgear cisco Segregating server home from switch network web vmware using 2950 hub a from unmanaged hub everything has a x address with a subnet mask Segregating vmware web server from home network using cisco 2950 switch of PCs laptops wifi etc From unmanaged Segregating vmware web server from home network using cisco 2950 switch hub to the cisco switch a setup vlan to be a x network default gateway with a subnet mask of b Cisco switch has a Dell Poweredge II amp a Rackable systems JBOD system was going to set the IP of VMware ESXi as the web server as amp the JBOD as So far I have gotten to logging into the Cisco switch and setting the vlan as IP address subnet mask as shown above But when I set the static IP in the ESXi web server they are not getting connectivity This may have something to do with routing from the home router because when I try and do static routes it won t let me do it from a x network Not sure where to start starting from a novice to intermediate perspective but had some spare parts and wanted to start this project Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance and let me know if you need more information Regards Rob nbsp

A:Segregating vmware web server from home network using cisco 2950 switch

dijitaljedi,
Welcome to TSG.
Your Default Gateway, 192.168.1.1 (linksys e2000) is not seen by your 192.168.0.1 network. As you stated you need a router to route between the networks.

The easy way is to stick with the 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 network, all of your 2950 switch ports are in VLAN 1 by default , so it should plug and play. The devices you want static can be set to the top of the current range 192.168.1.254, 192.168.1.253 and so forth, the DHCP on your router will issue 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3...

The hard way http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

This should be done carefully, as you can turn a perfectly good router into a paper weight.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/segregating-vmware-web-server-from-home-network-using-cisco-2950-switch.1049379/
Relevancy 61.92%

Can someone give me some advice on how to set up a basic network using two 2600 routers and a 2900 Cisco switch ? Not as far as commands but do I need to use NAT ? I have Comcast as my ISP. Please help me !

A:Setting up a basic home network with 2 Cisco 2600 Routers and switch

we always need nat.

Most of the time the connections look like
Code:

modem----router --- other devices and/or switchs --- still more devices
There are a FEW cases where the modem needs to be set to BRIDGE mode, but
don't go there unless it all fails.

Keep it simple to start with [ modem---router---one system]

see this for testing your ISP connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-a-basic-home-network-with-2-cisco-2600-routers-and-switch.128589/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi All Problem is the Vista Machine connecting to the shared HPG xi AIO on the network I am working on installing a Vista Home Premium Gateway PC on an existing network that consists of a Solved: Printer Vista Home Network Network Home Issues, XP machine two XP home PC s and an XP home laptop With the exception of the laptop all PC s are Solved: Vista Home Network Printer Issues, XP Home Network connected via ethernet cabling to a Linksys WRT G sharing cable internet access One of the XP home machines and the are connected to a Dlink switch which is wired to the Linksys router This XP home machine has the HP connected locally and shared All PC s have printer and file sharing enabled All PC s are in the same workgroup all PC s can see and share files bidirectionally Including the Vista machine All PC s with the exception of the Vista machine can connect and print to the HP When you try to connect the Vista to the HP and it doesn t matter how using Network and connect using Printers to add a printer using add a Printer to set up a new network printer and entering the path whatever the error message is quot Access is Denied quot before you can even install the drivers I used my IBM laptop running XP Pro to serve the HP via the USB connection same as how the XP Home PC is doing it the Vista can connect and print no problem so it would seem there is an issue with the access rights in the XP Home PC sharing the HP I also tested the Vista PC on another network that runs XP Pro and it connected and printed with NO issues I tried using the machine at the same location but connected to the same switch to serve the HP I get the same result as with the XP Home serving it with the exception of the error message It says cannot complete connection error some hex number Is there a way to configure the access right s to XP Home for the Vista to connect to the HP Or am I barking up the wrong tree Help please nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

So I have 4 computers connected into a gigabit switch,
If I drop power to the switch, all 4 computers' ethernet connections (obviously) go offline.
When I power the switch back on, I would expect, after a few seconds, that they would pick up their connections again.
One of the machines does this, the other 3 get themselves stuck in a state where they think they're online, but can't access anything on the network, and don't respond to pings.
If I disable/reenable the adapter, then do ipconfig /rel /ren
they start working again.
But I'm scratching my head trying to work out why 1 machine is fine, and 3 aren't. They are the same exact hardware (and cost $US3800 each)
and have the same windows image on them...

??? Also note that they are on DHCP with reservations.

Any ideas would be cool. thanks!

A:Some workstations network connections don't recover after network switch outage

When the switch comes back up, do these machines still have valid IP addresses, or do they switch to 169.x.x.x APIPA addressing? Also, if you hard-code IP address information (rather than rely on DHCP) as a test, do the machines all network properly after the switch drop and re-up?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/some-workstations-network-connections-dont-recover-after-network-switch-outage-560092.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi,

I am trying to figure out why windows 7 thinks there is a network switch in my home network. I have every computer in the house, setup to the same Workgroup as well as the same Homegroup. Can you please help me figure out why Windows thinks there is a network switch in front of my xbox 360 and one of my desktop computers. I am using DIR655 newest firmware router.

Thank-you,

Shawn

A:Windows 7 Network Map Can't Figure Out Why There is a Network Switch

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawzborne

Hi,

I am trying to figure out why windows 7 thinks there is a network switch in my home network. I have every computer in the house, setup to the same Workgroup as well as the same Homegroup. Can you please help me figure out why Windows thinks there is a network switch in front of my xbox 360 and one of my desktop computers. I am using DIR655 newest firmware router.

Thank-you,

Shawn

This is a common problem with the network map in Windows 7 and it's nothing to worry about. I have the same router by the way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/245572-windows-7-network-map-cant-figure-out-why-there-network-switch.html
Relevancy 47.73%

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME DO THE 3 GB SWITCH WORK ON XP HOME EDITION, SO FAR I JUST SEE WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL AND STUFF.

A:3 GB switch in XP home edition

It's only for XP pro, all the 3gig switch is to allow Windows to set aside up to 3gig per process, it will not increase the amount of ram 32 bit XP can use.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/3-gb-switch-in-xp-home-edition-568171.html
Relevancy 47.3%

When ever I log off or switch users, I get a message saying please wait with the circular loading icon on my mouse on the computer, when I click on the user and put in the password it resets to the screen Please wait and repeats this process. The only way I can switch users is me restarting and logging on for the first time.

I'm not to sure what the problem is, if anyone can help me out, much would be appreciated, thanks.

A:Can't switch users Vista Home 32 bit

*bump* still nothings changed I tried updating my video card driver but nothing's working still, any advice from anyone at all?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-switch-users-vista-home-32-bit-329493.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Situation- month old Dell XPS Win bit Pro as main computer connected by Wired Adapter Upgraded Gateway E also running Win bit pro as says set network no join home can't but network 7 Win homegroup, Home second connected by Wireless Both running Kapersky successfully no network problems for mo Both were successfully linked using homegroup Had to take Gateway to a remote location to do a business demo While there had to link to a local public WiFi While connecting made mistake and left homegroup When Gateway returned to homebase a Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network few days later it was fine had no problems finding wireless but could not see or rejoin Dell machine homegroup It would let me set Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network up a new homegroup Went to Dell box and found homegroup no longer existed router and network and wireless printing no longer found - Red X on the taskbar even though internet was still working fine Took nearly a week of trying differernt fixes on adapter- off adapter- different adapter reboot network router even updated router firmware Yes I went through every ipconfig reset renew redecorate etc I've used netsh functions to try Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network to get evrything to reset Changes services msc settings per other posts Finally in desperation deleted every sub key in the registry related to network locational awareness and got the Dell to find the network let me set it up as a quot home quot network and then even see the invitation to join the Gateway's homegroup Then I hit a wall- when I try to join- Win says I can't join the homegroup because the network is not a quot home network quot Of course troubleshooting is useless and goes into an endless loop Have searched in desperation for any way to make Win return to a clean slate so it can sense that it really is on a home network without success Applied the fix-it and hotpatch for when Win gets stuck in public mode No joy Deleted the hide wizard subkey as suggested elsewhere No Joy Gut feeling says problem must lie in the NLA or peer networking somewhere but where Does anyone know of a method or set of steps short of a clean reinstall of Win to completely clear every thing the OS knows about my network and force it to acknowlege my network is a home network Is there a registry hack that will clear the problem I know I could abandon the homegroup and do conventional file print share but I am concerned that using that solution won't last as whatever is screwing up the homegroup could eventually screw regular sharing and then I'm back to reformating reinstalling I'm just about ready to join the Apple folks so I never have to work on Windows again Help

A:Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network

Just a thought - if running Kaspersky Internet Security (with inbuilt firewall) check that your Internet connection in the settings is set to Home or Private Network vs Public.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/257334-home-network-set-but-win-7-says-cant-join-homegroup-no-home-network.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I had windows home prenium and I upgraded it to windows vista Ultimate. I got it from
[link deleted by mod].
I did this because i wanted a fresh start and my hard drive was filling up. When i upgraded it, and windows alerted me that it wasnt geniune. I did not do enough researching. I still have my windows prenium old files and does anyone know how to restore it back to windows prenium. Please no negative comments and help would be very much appreciated.

A:How to switch back to Vista Home Prenium

Welcome to TSG!

You can't downgrade, you'll need to do a clean install. Probably a good idea anyways, there may be more surprises in the Ultimate version you installed than just not being Genuine.

If this is a Major Brand system, you may have a Recovery Partition that will restore the PC to the way it was when it left the factory. This usually deletes all files, same as a clean install, though some have an option to save your documents.
You'll need to check the User Manual to see how to access it. CTRL+F11 for Dells, F10 for HP I believe.

Otherwise just boot with the Vista Home Premium DVD. Be sure you select the Custom install option (should be the only one you can choose).

You'll get to a screen to select the partition to install on. Select the correct partition (if you have more than one) then click Drive Options (Advanced) and delete the partition. You can then create a new partition then install.

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-switch-back-to-vista-home-prenium.829529/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi, on one of my XP Home computers (Service Pack 3), everytime I switch users (Win+L and then log on as another user), I will get a blue screen of death. I've tried doing a clean boot to isolate the problem but to no avail. Windows is fully updated as well. Does anyone have any solutions?

A:XP Home blue screen on user switch

Can you please create a zip file of all the files in the folder C:\Windows\Minidump and attach it to your next reply (More Reply Options > Choose Files).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528311/xp-home-blue-screen-on-user-switch/
Relevancy 46.87%

I had Windows 10 Pro on my older laptop (upgraded from Windows 7 Professional) and I recently bought new laptop with Windows 10 Home already installed. I would like to explore and learn something about developing apps for Microsoft HoloLens and HoloLens emulator requires Windows 10 Pro because Home edition does not support Hyper-V. I don-t want to use my old laptop for this because it has only 2 GB of RAM and I use it mostly for exploring the internet using Microsoft Edge, reading Windows Central and watching movies. So, I would like to switch systems on these two devices, putting Pro edition on the new laptop and the Home edition on the old one. Is that possible and how could I do it? Thanks for reading this question and if You know the answer I would really appreciate if You answer it.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/435676-how-switch-windows-10-pro-home-editions-two-devices.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Helping a friend of my wife from where she works thought I could fix it for him but now not sure He had his computer sitting on a front porch for I guess quite awhile so it with Windows front Home switch problem SP2-Starting XP got cold and warm and cold and warm etc He had a bunch of spyware viruses etc I did a clean install and everything is good except for starting If you press the front button to start it like normal nothing happens absolutly like it is dead However if you turn the surge protector off and take out the battery and put it back in then turn the surge protector Windows XP Home SP2-Starting problem with front switch switch back on it starts right up I guess it is like draining all Windows XP Home SP2-Starting problem with front switch the power and then starting it You can then run xp and do anythng normally and then go to start and shutdown and it will shut down but then if you press the button on the tower again it acts like it is dead again So if you do the battery thing again it will start right up or if you unplug the power cable from the back of the computer and wait about sec like draining the motherboard then plug it back in and it automatically starts the computer right up and everything is normally and it runs great BUT when you got to start and shut it down the you cannot start it with the switch button you have to do the power drain Windows XP Home SP2-Starting problem with front switch again Does this mean the switch is bad or could there be something else wrong or what Can someone help me I am rreally stumped here and I would like to get it running so it starts up the right way Thanks in advance for anyone who will help with this It is an emachine T Mother board is a Trigem emachine imperial nbsp

Relevancy 46.44%

Have lost access to my network printer and when I check the network it appears that my desktop computer is set to public and not home I don't know my the to Public on netwoto switch from computer Cannot back Home get how this happened but recently I had an internet dropout and my son has been using a thing called Hamachi so wether it happened via one of those I don't know Anyway I have tried going in to the network and sharing centre but neither the network or the computer show up I have a thing that says you are currently not connected Cannot get my computer on the netwoto switch back from Public to Home to any networks quot and when I try to connect to a network I get a little box that pops up in bottom right hand corner telling me that I am not connected and there are no connections available Refreshing that little box doesn't help setting up a new connection or network opens a blank box telling me I have to wait seconds for the network device to appear but it never does When I try the homegroup option it tells me that quot this computer can't connect to a home group and there is an error message saying To create or koin a homegroup your computers network location must be set to home When I map the network I get my PC linked to a switch linked to my router and a broken internet connection Called Microsoft help who offered to let me join some club and they would happily charge Cannot get my computer on the netwoto switch back from Public to Home me dollars to see what they could do Am at my wits end as all I want to do is change the computer back to a home network so I can access all my printer and files they way I was less than hrs ago Any help greatly appreciated

A:Cannot get my computer on the netwoto switch back from Public to Home

Have also noticed my media centre has now stopped working as the computer is not part of the home group anymore

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/370404-cannot-get-my-computer-netwoto-switch-back-public-home.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I am experiencing problem for finding the short keys for switch user in xp home, please let me know that what is the simplest one.

A:[SOLVED] Short keys to switch user in xp home ?

Turn on Fast User Switching
But it is better if you have them Log Off (Start/Shut Down/Log Off)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-short-keys-to-switch-user-in-xp-home-529227.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello continuous Desktop a loop in switch and Home Screen to each other all I've got an issue Home Screen and Desktop switch to each other in a continuous loop with the Windows interface that I'm pretty sure was caused by me installing the latest version of my antivirus program AVG I had AVG Free and when it prompted me to install the latest update to AVG I did so Then it asked me to restart my computer which I did That's when the problems started When it restarted it gave me the screens as if I was starting up a new computer intro screens on how to use Windows and such I knew that wasn't right so I switched the computer off by holding down the power button In retrospect this seems like it was a stupid thing to do because the next time I booted up the computer it started acting funny It took me to the login screen like normal no Windows intro screens I put in my password and it took about - seconds to start up a little longer than usual Then when it took me to the Home Screen I noticed that all my usual apps were gone I only had a split second to look at this screen though because then it took me to a screen with just a blank purple background After a couple of seconds the screen turns black with the outline of the gray taskbar at the bottom of the screen as if the desktop app is trying to start But after one second of that it takes me back to the Home Screen blank screen desktop then Home Screen again in loop The whole thing lasts maybe seconds or so and repeats Any idea what I can do about this Again I'm pretty sure this is connected to me installing a new version of AVG but I'm not sure what to do about it I can still use CTRL ALT Delete and start the task manager From the task manager I can start applications which is how I started my browser and am posting this message now When I started Firefox from the task manager it asked me whether I wanted to import bookmarks as if it was the first time I was starting the program But looking through my hard drive it appears that nothing has been erased it's just the Windows interface that's messed up I'm not sure how to check which exact version of Windows I have but it is an HP Pavilion laptop if that helps Thanks in advance It's important to note that there is a task called Thumbnail Handler Extraction Host ThumbnailExtractionHost exe that is produced every time it goes through this loop I'm up to about of them now There is also the process COM Surrogate dllhost exe There is one of them that stays open all the time but a second one will appear for a couple of seconds every time it goes through this loop Here is the list of the names of applications that are running in the Task Manager maybe it will shed some light on why this is happening Apps Firefox bit Notepad Task Manager Background processes Adobe Acrobat Update Service bit Adobe Flash Player r bit x AVG E-mail Scanner AVG Identity Protection Service bit AVG Online Shield Service AVG Resident Shield Service AVG Scanning Core Module - Server Part AVG Watchdog Service Bonjour Service COM Surrogate there is one and then a second one will appear and disappear Device Association Framework Provider Host Host Process for Setting Synchronization Host Process for Windows Tasks HP Quick Launch WMI Service bit HP Support Assistant Service HPConnectedRemoteService HPConnectedRemoteUser HPService IAStorDataSvc bit IDT PC Audio Intel Capability Licensing Software Interface Intel Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface bit Intel ME Service bit Local Manageability Service bit loggings Application bit Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service Microsoft Windows Search Indexer Plugin Container for Firefox bit Realtek Card Reader Patch Tool rndlresolversvc bit Spooler SubSystem App Thumbnail Handler Extraction Host the longer the computer runs the more of these that appear ToolbarU Application bit User Notification Service bit WAService bit Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation Windows host process Rundll Windows Media Player Network Shari... Read more

A:Home Screen and Desktop switch to each other in a continuous loop

We're you able to resolve this issue?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515273/home-screen-and-desktop-switch-to-each-other-in-a-continuous-loop/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello,

I have a question, I know switch is better to go and is better than a hub, but the question is, the hub We are using is a 3Com superstack II duel speed hub 500 10/100, would I see a slight or big increase in bandwith between all PCs in the network if I switch the hub out for a Netgear 10/100 or something switch? if so how much? the network is setup like this (basic)

LAN --->Hub--->switch-->router--->firewall --->internet

thank you

A:Network Switch vs Hub

How many computer in the network using the hub? How much local traffic (not Internet traffic) is there in the network?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-switch-vs-hub.598294/
Relevancy 45.58%

i have a 20mt ethernet cable going from my router along my loft to my gaming room to which it plugs into a network switch with 6 sockets for devices.
Can i run another switch off of one of the plugged in cables to split another cable into 6 ports?

The reason i ask is i need ethernet connections the other side of the room and dont fancy running any more cables under the carpet as i already have 3 computers and a server networked under it as it is

A:can you run one network switch off of another network switch??

Hello,

Yes there will be no problems with linking two switches together . Just use one of the existing switch ports to link in the new switch. Another alternative would be to install a new switch with higher capacity (24-Ports).
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/214611-can-you-run-one-network-switch-off-another-network-switch.html
Relevancy 45.58%

note I am and this is at the very edge of my computer knowlege I have an old XP machine with many useful but obsolete programs KVM Cannot W7 to XP and switch network and history I have a new Win HP home premium HP Slimline I have a KVM switch allowing me to control each independently through one keyboard and Cannot network XP to W7 and KVM switch mouse I have several external drives DVD drives and a wireless mouse hooked to the W by USB Each computer is wireless connected to Internet via a Verizon MIFI essentially a G mobil phone I have no other suitable optioons for internet available in my rural area I ran the network setup wizard on the XP and saved a copy to thumb drive problems The W computer won t recognise the setup The XP doesn t show the network I set up although no errors showed up Win has removed any wizard and other helpful programs from Cannot network XP to W7 and KVM switch HOME PREM for help setup a network I attempted to set up the W manually but it refused too alllow both computers to independently use the MIFI I find all hardware works fine the way I now have iit configured but I want to move files from old to new PC and I need printer sharing until I get organized I also need access to an external drive to backup files and general storage from both compputers My situation must be a common one but I haven t found any useful advise actually can t adequatly describe my problem in search engines nbsp

Relevancy 45.58%

How much speed have each port of a network switch , example the input speed is 256kbps how much are the outputs ?

A:Network Switch ?

When people think of switches, they sometimes equate them with a cable tv splitter, where the signal strength is divided amongst the ports.

Network switches do not behave this way. Most switches are capable of 1Gb/s or 100Mb/s. If I have 10 computers connected, and only 2 are transmitting to each other, they will enjoy the 1Gb/s or 100Mb/s throughput.

It sounds like you will be connecting multiple devices to a switch. These devices will most likely transmit to each other at 100Mb/s. However, it sounds like your high speed connection is only 256Kb/s.

If only one PC is actively using the internet, it will still see 256Kb/s. The only time you will see a decrease in throughput is when 2 or more devices will be constantly downloading (like streaming video for example). Then, theoretically, each device will only get 128Kb/s, but only while both are actively moving data, when one stops downloading (even briefly) the other will go back to 256Kb/s.

If multiple PCs will be doing more intermittent internet use (getting web pages, grabbing email) you will very rarely see a slowdown.

For your application, it seems that any type of switch will not decrease your bandwidth at all.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-switch.949480/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi, I'm hoping I explain this correctly and in the right place! My kids are saying that the Internet for the two laptops isn't working. The laptops don't register any wireless devices in the area. (direct quote)

They also noticed that the network icon on the task bar has changed from 2wire to something called network2. How would this happen and how do we get the connection back for the laptops? Thanks so much.

A:network switch?

To add I just looked in the control panel under Network and there is only this computer but no wireless devices to be found. It is a Vista if that has anything to do with it??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-switch.764186/
Relevancy 45.58%

We have just purchased an ethernet network switch and am now succesfully running two computers on the same hardwired network. One computer is running windows xp and one vista.
We would like to add a external hard drive and printer to the switch so both computers can use, however they only have USB connections.
Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

A:Network switch

You need an Ethernet connected printer or computer if you want them connected directly. For printers, you can use a print server, see this list: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=206

For the disk, I'd pick up an NAS enclosure and mount the drive in that, here's a typical product of that type: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817193041

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-switch.784940/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi. I have just set up my home for network. I ran 1 wire from the router to this room, where I have a computer, TiVo, and Xbox, all which I want to connect. I bought a Linksys 5 port switch. I hooked the wire comming in into the computer to test it out, and it works, connects to the internet and other computers connected to the router. Then, I unplugged it from the computer and plugged the incomming wire into Port 1 on the switch, and the computer into Port 3, TiVo into Port 4, and Xbox into Port 5. None of them can connect to the internet, my computer can't see the other computers, or even get an IP. It just defaults to the 169. The lights on the switch all came on, but the incomming from the router activity light is constantly blinking. What is wrong?

A:Add Switch into Network

Is it fast or slow blinking?
If it's fast then it probably means data transfer and is normal. If it is slow then it means the switch is trying to establish a link but fails. You may have to use a crossover cable between the switch and the router to make it work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/add-switch-into-network.24812/
Relevancy 45.58%

We have set up basic network for our not for profit organisation, but after a week or so the Switch throws a wobbly and throws all the PC's off it and seems to try and reset itself.

We have tried 2 different Switches but still this occurs, is this something we can change on the Switch itself or is it related to being connected to the Virgin router for the internet?

The Switches we have are: -

3COM Superstack Switch 3300

Baystack 450-24T Switch

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-switch.983321/
Relevancy 45.58%

what internet speed u must have to use a network switch ?

A:Network Switch

A network switch has nothing to do with your Internet Speed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-switch.949322/
Relevancy 45.15%

If you had to design a USB switch and you were gawd you d want Gigabit Ethernet connectivity to router Four high speed USB connections It s own processor don t slow down the system Bi-directional Well there s switch-> Network USB GREAT! one out there these days and you can get it for a good price if you hunt long enough Lexmark Marknet N E Gigabit USB Network Switch The quot standard quot pricing is around but if you look you can find some deals I just picked one up on Ebay for Another store was selling a Lexmark printer for that INCLUDED a N E in the box This will allow you to run some of those USB gadgets and make them available to all the computers on your network but only one person can use a peripheral at a time I have two Dymo label printers one for BIG x labels and the other is a dual where I have smaller x labels and postage labels Also a Fujitsu SnapScan scanner It sets up easily and runs as advertised If you ve been looking for a way to share your USB devices here s a shot for you nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,

I have 4 PCs installed with Windows XP Prof and a managed switch but no router. What need to configure in the managed switch and each PC to make 4 PCs connected to each other in a network??

To make a managed switch work, what need to configure it??

I also have a modem provided by ISP, what need to configure in PC to allow it to browse the web page??

A lot of thanks.
Neil

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-4-pcs-with-a-managed-switch.791446/
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a desktop computer that has a wi-fi adapter in it so that it can be moved around on a cart.
I have an item that I want to use with it but it has only a wired network connection instead of wi-fi.
Is there a configuration or software that can be run on the computer so that the accessory can be connected to the computer's wired network port and share the data from the wi-fi?

A:Using computer as network switch

I believe this is what Internet Connection Sharing is for, but I've never used it. Technically I believe it makes the computer act like a router rather than a switch. So it may not be ideally suited for what you're trying to do.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/396634-using-computer-network-switch.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello, I am installing my new switch with the user manual. However when I login with the standard username and password it is every time throwing this error:Unexpected restartBut then when I click something in the menu it is going to load forever... So I am unable to set it up.Does someone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

A:HP 1820-8G network switch

Hi: You may also want to post your question on the HP Enterprise Business Community Support Forum -- Web and Unmanaged switching & routing section. http://community.hpe.com/t5/Web-and-Unmanaged/bd-p?/switching-v-series-forum#.V1bgVOT2bGg

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/HP-1820-8G-network-switch/td-p/5652552
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi I ve currently got my network setup similar to the picture below except I only have PC and PC connected Both PCs are running Windows I ve got an XBox and PS connected to the router My ISP provides two IP addresses PC has its own IP and the Router has the other one All devices are able to connect to the internet however PC is not able to communicate with the devices connected to the router Is there anyway to get this network to work I basically want it as if all devices were just connected to the IPs Switch 2 Router Network & router but with PC having its own IP and the Router having its own IP I ve used the exact same configuration in the past with both computers Network Switch & Router 2 IPs running Windows XP and was able Network Switch & Router 2 IPs to get the two computers to communicate by installing some protocol However I heard that the protocol was really outdated or something and not good to use for security reasons but it did what I wanted it to do so I used it Can anyone help Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

Hi..
I bought a Tenda S105 switch recently.
Now i want to create a Network using this switch.

I have a Server which is giving the internet access and other sharing.

I have two others Pcs. I am attaching three cables ( 1 for internet Server and 2 client for utalizing internet) .

I want to get access internet access amount my all computers.
Please suggest.
how to?

A:creation of network using Switch

Hello,

All you need to do is plug in the Network Switch to your Router's LAN Port by using a straight patch network cable, Cat5e or Cat6 would work. Use the same network cable and plug in the Server and the 2 Client PC's to the Switch. Any other network device such as NAS or networked printers can be plugged in the Switch.

End Results: Modem=>Router=>Switch=>Server/Computers/other Network Devices

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/196330-creation-network-using-switch.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi guys,

Thanks to you guys on sevenforums I got my NAS & internet connected downstairs using a network switch, all is working perfectly.

However, upstairs now seems to have slower internet and network transfer. My printer is networked, but the time taken to send something to the printer and actual printing is extended, and also internet itself is slower, even when the computer downstairs is switched off.

It's definitely something to do with the new switch, because when I disconnect it from the router all speed is back up.

Is the network switch somehow claiming priority, or is my router bouncing stuff downsitairs before sending back upstairs to the printer?

Your thoughts would be most appreciated (again!).

Kit

A:Network switch has priority?

What is the manufacturer and model number of your homeplugs?

And can you describe what is connected to what on your upstairs network?
(e.g. is your printer connected directly to the router or via another homeplug?)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/233021-network-switch-has-priority.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Im using windows 7 ultimate, and willing to connect my pc to a laptop using a network switch.

Previously i have done the same thing but all pc are using windows xp.
I got a problem when using windows 7 ultimate to do the same connection.
The other pc / laptop are operate windows xp.
The problems mentioned as unidentified network, and no network connection
I need this connection to play LAN game with my fellows.
Anybody can help me with this issues.
Thanks a lot

A:How to connect two pc using network switch

Hello and welcome to SevenForums.

Either you need a network hub or a single pc-to-pc or pc-to-laptop cross-cable connection. (search a thread somewhere here in forums)

You can play LAN games on a cross-cable connection

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/96763-how-connect-two-pc-using-network-switch.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,

I was just wondering if I was to create a home network (in a new home) what would be the best way to do so? Of course I'd want it wireless and wired. I'd want wireless to cover the entire house for laptop usage and wired in 7+ rooms. My main question is how to do it. Should I get a wireless router, and connect two computers to it, then from the wireless connect another router, or should I connect a switch? I'm confused, what's the difference?

~Simon

PS: I'd like D-Link.

Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,

I have 4 PCs installed with Windows XP Prof and a managed switch but no router. What need to configure in the managed switch and each PC to make 4 PCs connected to each other in a network??

To make a managed switch work, what need to configure it??

I also have a modem provided by ISP, what need to configure in PC to allow it to browse the web page??

A lot of thanks.
Neil

A:Network 4 PCs with a managed switch

You will find some comprehensive tutorials here:

Practically Networked

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-4-pcs-with-a-managed-switch.791119/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello,

I have a number of 3com switches that are connected via a fibre patch panel. The 3com switches I have are not POE (Power over Ethernet) compatible. Therefore, I was wondering if I could add an HP Procurve switch by connecting it to the 3com switch using a CAT5 cable.

Is this pheasible?

Relevancy 45.15%

I have vehicles with mobile broadband cards in them which provide a wifi connection for laptops in the vehicles. Once the vehicles return to our building, I need them to connect to the building wifi connection automatically (even though it has less wifi signal strength than the mobile broadband cards which are much closer to the laptops in the vehicles). I'm looking to have the laptops see the building network connection and disconnect from the mobile broadband wifi connection, and connect to the building wifi. This cannot be accomplished with Windows network preference ordering, and "connect to a more preferred network if available" does not seem to work either, as the building wifi connection does not have a signal strength as strong as the mobile broadband cards.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/379967-automatically-switch-new-network-once-becomes-available.html
Relevancy 45.15%

hi guys
I have 2 computers (one is using windows 7, other is using windows xp), one switch and router. I don't have physical access to router. I have plugged the cable from router to switch, and connected both PC's to switch and now I have internet on both PC's.
My question is, can I "control" or share files on windows xp with Windows 7 (main computer) and in same time have access to internet? Or to use windows 7 to connect to internet?

Relevancy 45.15%

Hi

I don't know much about networking so if you can give me some tips and maybe some links to articles I can read, I'll be very happy

The switch is to be used for LAN gaming and I was thinking 32 or 16 ports depending on the cost (I am thinking quality over quantity).

Large files will be shared across the network so I was thinking gigabit, but apparently 10/100/1000 MBIT is pretty expensive?

Is it better to have one big switch than a few smaller ones performance vise?

What should I be aware of when it is to be used for gaming and filesharing (filesharing being secondary but still important)
I am prepared to read a lot so please write me some links or keywords I should google
Edit: What I really want to know is how to tell the "good deals" apart from the "cheap crap"
Thank you very much

Hawkeyed

A:Need help choosing a network switch

You should start by grouping what needs to be networked together in the first place. Drawing it out saves a LOT of trouble and pain in figuring out things once you start.

I'll start out with the fact that if you have systems that are sharing data between them, and systems that aren't, its a good idea to keep them apart. Therefore multiple smaller switches are what you should be aiming for. You want a router to deal with routing, that keeps a decent workload off your switches. Connect your router to your modem, and then connect your switches to the router LAN ports. Every switch you connect should be on its first or last LAN port, not the WAN port or you will have to do a lot more configuration to get it working. Connect the computers that do LAN gaming to the same switch, then the computers doing filesharing on another switch. This will shift the traffic workload to your switches, and only go up to the router when you need to get something off the internet or another switch. This also works in the manner that you can use a gigabit switch for what you need it for (really thats only computer to computer file transfers, no home internet connection uses up a 100m/bit connection, and gaming does not justify a need for gigabit transfer rates).

You can also chain the switches if you want to, and if thats the case keep your LAN gaming switch at the bottom of the chain so its traffic stays there.

Two things that would be helpful in further advice are 1: the actual number of systems you want to network and 2: if the systems are doing just gaming or filesharing, or both. What I've suggested above is rather useless if both is the case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-choosing-a-network-switch.119140/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hey all,

So I've been looking for a solution for this for a while now. I have two network cards (One for internet, one for a private network). I need to be able to switch between the networks (disable one, enable other) via an easy interface (i.e. a shortcut on desktop, etc)

I've found programs that do this very well. (http://www.easynetswitch.com/) However, I am wondering if there is a way to do this under windows without the help of a third party program.

If it isnt clear yet - I essentially want to perform the same task as going into Network Connections and disabling one of the NIC cards and enabling the other - but make it quicker than that.

Anyone know of a way? I heard something about using .reg and .bat files...

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Relevancy 45.15%

Hi everyone Ok I have a CISCO Catalyst Express G switch on my network The person who set the network up before network! my a switch on Finding I was here neglected to make note of the configuration IP for it That wasn t a problem until now I need to change a setting on the switch I have NO idea how to find it out I have checked the arp logs of several computers looked in the DHCP list its not there so I m assuming it was statically assigned manually tried all the addresses in the block we use - The stupid G doesn t have a console port I dont want to erase all the settings because I dont know what they are I have the MAC address but that seems to Finding a switch on my network! be Finding a switch on my network! less helpful then I thought it would be RARP requesting doesnt seem to be an option How do I find out the config IP address for the stupid switch Thank you all SO MUCH in advance for your help -- really banging my head against the wall on this one nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,

Can someone please tell me why the Switch is not appearing next to the Xbox 360 and Family-PC like the first two pc's.

Network Map Image Below:

Thanks.

A:Network Switch Problem

Quote: Originally Posted by GradyPreece

Hi,

Can someone please tell me why the Switch is not appearing next to the Xbox 360 and Family-PC like the first two pc's.

Network Map Image Below:

Thanks.

These table's aren't accurate or helpful, mine doesn't understand that I'm connected to 2 different networks at the same time.

The switch is next to those devices, it's just branching out like a family tree (even though it shouldn't be).

Oli

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/89721-network-switch-problem.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Yesterday I installed a NetGear gig switch in our network and I am getting serious delays when I send jobs to my printer. The cable from the gig switch goes to a 100mps switch and then to my printer. Do I need to change the 100 switch to a 1 gig too? I am not the most technically advanced, but I can work my way around our network. Let me know if you need any more information.

A:Switch problems in network

I just plugged the Cat5 directly into the printer and I'm still getting really long delays in printing. When it was going through the 100mps switch my printer would respond in 5 seconds and now it is taking 2-3 minutes using the gigabyte switch

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switch-problems-in-network.993707/
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a fairly simple query that I Solved: Use Switch Network m hoping someone can answer before I start laying cable I ve just moved into a new house and I have multiple network Solved: Network Switch Use devices in different rooms In my old house I Solved: Network Switch Use had a TP Link switch attached to the router and then multiple cables running from that and the router to separate devices around the house In this way every device had a dedicated Cat e cable running either to the router itself or the switch attached to the router In the new house I would rather only lay a single Cat e cable linking the rooms in series and use a pair of network switches to allow the devices to share the single cable So I was planning something like this From the top Room dining room devices are a network music server and a laptop point Room home office devices are desktop pcs and a network printer Room lounge devices are Sky HD a network music server and a PS I have a few questions Can I use network switches in series like this If so will I get a lot of signal degradation at the end of the series The end of the series will be around m from the router If not is there better way to do this that doesn t involve separate cables running from each room to the router and a switch at the route to increase the numer of ports I would rather all my devices were wired than wifi as the walls are thick and I already have low net speeds I need both WAN and LAN connectivity in all rooms Are there any significant gains to be had using Cat over Cat e I have quite low net speeds at the moment - just Mps - but I am looking to future proof against fibre becoming available Thanks in advance for any advice nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

My cable modem is a Hitron CGN2-ROG and my switch is a D-Link DES 108. I also got a D-Link DIR-820L router and they are connected like so

Modem(Hitron)>Router(Dlink DIR)>Switch(DES108), wifi is fine but when i connect to the switch i get unidentified network. Also with my ISP I only recieve 1 IP address.

A:Unidentified network from switch

Hi from Sevenforums,

You have sticky Dynamic more than likely that is why you only get 1 IP Address.

Can you put the ethernet cable in the Lan port of the router which the Dlink DES108 has been plugged into.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/332647-unidentified-network-switch.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Ok at work we have two computers that are dedicated to running a barcode scanning program These computers are only used for that currently because in order for anyone else to log in check mail or run other programs you have to log out the barcode log in and then log in under your user name At home using XP pro I am able to switch users any time that XP network a Switch with users in I want and still leave other log ins active With the work computer I would like to set Switch users in a network with XP it Switch users in a network with XP up so that about of us could hit the switch user button then log Switch users in a network with XP in check our mail and switch back to the barcode log in I asked our IS guy if it was possible to set that up on these two computers His reply was Dan amp I reviewed and checked into this Because s computer environment operate under a domain the feature you requested becomes disabled We tried to think of other approaches that might be possible but could not think of any Should we become of aware of something we ll let you know Likewise if you should hear anything to the contrary let us know Any one out there have any idea how to get this feature back nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

i have a tp-link 5-port switch which has worked without a hitch for about 2 years. now there are issues - sometimes i cannot get a network connection. if i power the switch down then up again, a good connection is restored.

the set up is like this:
dsl router direct to 2 computers and the switch, then two other computers and a printer through the switch.
i have recently done a major hardware upgrade to the two machines connected to the switch, but they are both running xp as before.

can these switches develop faults?
is it on OS problem?
it happens even with only one of the computers on the switch running

A:Network switch faulty?

yes, a switch can fail just like any other active component. I lost one port on mine but had a vacant slot so I just moved the cable to the vacant position.

fyi: the DSL Router ---> Switch is just fine, but be aware that the DHCP service of the Router is providing all the TCP/IP configuration data, even to the systems attached to the switch.

Your test for correct configuration is to run IPCONFIG /ALL on a working system and
then compare that to the results on a failing system.
Usually, it is obvious on the failing systems that the configuration is not correct.
It is possible however, that the failing system is configured correctly but still fails.

see Basic Networking for descrete testing of connectivity

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-switch-faulty.161455/
Relevancy 45.15%

I am trying to reset my Homegroup in Win10 but after the upgrade I got locked into a private network and don't have the option in the control panel to switch networks. How can I get back to a Home network so the Homegroup can be re-established?

Relevancy 45.15%

I currently have a BT 'home hub' (wireless router and DSL modem) acting as the centre of my home network. Everyone except for me is connected to it wirelessly to use the internet.

However I have an ethernet cable from it, running into my room and into a cheap 5 port hub which I bought a few years ago. From this I have a linux samba server and my desktop pc running Vista beta. My problem is that when I copy files from the server to my PC the whole network slows right down to the point that surfing the internet is difficult.

My guess is that the problem is a mixture of using a hub rather than a switch and having a very cheap broadband router. My question is; will replacing my hub with a switch stop traffic between my desktop and the server going through the broadband router and allow other network traffic to be unaffected?

Thanks
mrbrownstone

Relevancy 45.15%

Windows 7 home premium sp1
Bitdefender tell me it become unresponsive an recommend to reboot
system message tell me  Windows update is deactivated
window defender full scan found nothing
comodo antivirus deactivated and cannot be reactivated
a reboot do not change anything
can you help me please

A:W 7 home cannot conect internet and home network even in safe mode

Welcome aboard

Can you operate computer normally?

Are you running two AV programs (BitDefender and Comodo)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518785/w-7-home-cannot-conect-internet-and-home-network-even-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 45.15%

can someone help me sort this I have a bunch of devices on my lan some by ethernet some wireless One Windows Pro desktop on ethernet serves all the other devices - at least in theory Working on 10 won't network: allow Home Pro browse Home shared Windows fldr vs well no big issues But with my Windows Home edition on a Zenbook with networking on network discovery on public folder shared I can RDP into the other windows machine just fine I can map network drives etc Life's good right With my 'droid using ES File Manager I can move files easily between windows machine Windows desktop other droids etc However the ONE MACHINE it cannot get Windows 10 Home vs Pro on network: Home won't allow browse shared fldr coherent is the Zenbook running Windows Home It simply will not connect with the correct IP and credentials I can quot see quot the machine by scanning the network map with the Droid access it setup the credentials but cannot get in I am wild-guessing the firewall may be blocking but I have no trouble doing what's needed with the other Windows machine so stumped Both are fully updated to latest win updates both are essentially set same way networking-wise to my knowledge Anyone have a clue here

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/42276-windows-10-home-vs-pro-network-home-wont-allow-browse-shared-fldr.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I did not set up my pc's to share over my home wireless network, but suddenly today I see that all drives and the printer are available between each computer. I had tried to set up the computers to share months ago, but never got it to work and gave up.

The desktop is old, running WinME, one laptop is running WinXPpro, the other laptop is running Vista. They are all connected to a Westell router/dsl modem for internet through Verizon.

So, I turn the desktop off daily. Today I go to turn it off and it says the WinXP laptop is connected and do I really want to shut down. I go to windows explorer on both machines and sure enough I have access to the other drives on each computer. I start the Vista machine and see the same.

Am I compromised?

A:MY home computers suddenly sharing over home wireless network

If you didn't make the change to share all drives, then somebody did. I would assume the worst. Time to reformat and reinstall.

Windows ME is past end of life, and no security updates are provided by MS. I wouldn't run it anymore. Maybe you'd want to try out some linux distros, some are quite good on old hardware. See this review:
http://www.linux.com/feature/52134

It seems you don't have a separate router, I would advise you to get one. I have a modem/router too but I also have a separate hardware firewall/router. The modem/router does NAT but I constantly see connections/attacks making it past the modem/router to my firewall. Having a separate router is a good thing.

Since you are using wireless, did you enable the encryption? If you have WPA or WPA2 use them and setup a long and complicated passphrase. Use WEP if you have no other choice cause WEP can be broken into real quick. You must enable encryption because with wireless, all your machines are sitting ducks when you have close range attackers, whereas with wired, at least you still have a perimeter which you can fortify with a firewall. Also it is especially important to have software firewalls on Each PC when using wireless.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-home-computers-suddenly-sharing-over-home-wireless-network.688238/
Relevancy 45.15%

I have Laptop and PC connected with lan cabel They are both with Windows Vista Home Basic bit They both have no problems with internet They have the same WORKGROUP names Both have real IPs I see each other on the Network but i can not connect to them it was all OK when I was on XP gt When I try to connect from the Laptop to the PC i recive quot Error code x quot I click on Diagnose and I on 32bit. Network Home Vista Home Basic Problem see this I tried to turn off the Firewall and the NOD antivirus but nothing changed The Sharing and Discovery Settings are OK like this I give share permissions to my network May be I have to install quot Client Home Network Problem on Vista Home Basic 32bit. quot for quot File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks quot but is no listed 'Client' or 'Servise' to use I found I have to allow permissions in the firewall to some ports like -TCP -UDP -UDP -TCP I did this Give me some help how to manage with my network so I can browse both computers copy files and so on Thanks in advance

A:Home Network Problem on Vista Home Basic 32bit.

I can't help but just wondered why you have made another post not long after your first post with exactly the same question ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/201692-home-network-problem-vista-home-basic-32bit.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Not sure how actively anyone is tracking user needs here but figured I had nothing to lose by asking for help unable to find an understandable Home? Virtual 2007: running access Home...password to Windows on in PC network Win7 10 Win Win98 printer answer here so far I had been happily running Virtual PC on a Win Home system printing on a network physically connected Windows Virtual PC 2007: Win98 running on Win7 Home...password to access network printer in Win 10 Home? via usb cable to a Win XP system nbsp I have now replaced the XP tower with a Windows tower with that printer attached to that tower and functioning normally When I run Virtual PC on the Win system it quot sees quot the Win system but on trying to install the printer it is asking for a password to the Win system I am guessing that it would require a ton of tweaks to get around this and although I am not a full blown novice I never like fiddling with too many settings that might screw up everything else that is working So long story short is there in fact a reasonably simple way to work around this or should I just give up to progress and new operating systems Thanks to anyone who might be willing to point me in the right direction

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a0dafef1-ad4f-4e1b-926e-78fd41964fad/windows-virtual-pc-2007-win98-running-on-win7-homepassword-to-access-network-printer-in-win-10?forum=w7itprovirt
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a home desktop computer, and a work laptop. Over the years I've changed laptops and home computers, and have always been able to get network sharing working so I can transfer files between them by using \\<hostname>

I've had my current setup for about 6 months now, and have been able to share files. Let's call my home computer "alien" and my work computer "laptop".

A couple of days ago, I found I was not able to connect to alien from laptop, but I could connect the other way. Also, alien can ping laptop, but NOT vice versa. alien has a static IP of 192.168.1.200, and laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 via DHCP.

Any ideas about why laptop cannot ping alien (which would explain why I can't connect to it)?

A:Can no longer connect to home computer over home network

Quote: Originally Posted by mbh9700

I have a home desktop computer, and a work laptop. Over the years I've changed laptops and home computers, and have always been able to get network sharing working so I can transfer files between them by using \\<hostname>

I've had my current setup for about 6 months now, and have been able to share files. Let's call my home computer "alien" and my work computer "laptop".

A couple of days ago, I found I was not able to connect to alien from laptop, but I could connect the other way. Also, alien can ping laptop, but NOT vice versa. alien has a static IP of 192.168.1.200, and laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 via DHCP.

Any ideas about why laptop cannot ping alien (which would explain why I can't connect to it)?

You may want to disable the antivirus software for testing. With the ping not working it would seem like something is blocking the connection. Do the machines appear in the network folder under network?

Obviously you should make sure that Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing are turned on in the Advanced Sharing settings.

Make sure they are on the same Workgroup etc. and that file sharing is enabled through the sharing tab >Advanced Sharing> of the C:>Users folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309141-can-no-longer-connect-home-computer-over-home-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have three computers networked together at home They have different OS s on them One is Vista Home Premium another XP Pro and the home from copy Home Can't Xp on Pro folders network to Solved: Xp third is XP Home My problem is that I can t copy or move any folders or files from the XP home machine to the Solved: Can't copy folders from Xp Home to Xp Pro on home network Xp pro machine I get an error message that access Solved: Can't copy folders from Xp Home to Xp Pro on home network is denied Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in use I can go to the XP Pro computer and go through my mapped drive and click on the same file and copy it without any errors Why does this only work from one machine I know XP home only uses simple file sharing and XP Pro has more security Is there a setting that I should check on the firewall or within XP Pro I made some changes to get the XP Pro computer to be able to map a network drive to the Vista computer Will this effect the ability to copy files from XP Home I have researched this issue and have not found an answer that will solve the problem None of the computers are password protected or are any of the files password protected on any computer nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi All,

I am working in a small company.Now we need to establish a LAN connection,We have 3 switch (2 normal and 1 UPlink).40 PC and a router which is dirctly connected to the ISP.So for that i need a network diagram.Also i was face a problem that some system shows 10 mbps and other shows 100 mbs.The Auto Detect feature dose not work for some system.

Plz help the same.

A:Need A Network Diagram For 3 switch and One Router.

sam_0056 said:

Hi All,

I am working in a small company.Now we need to establish a LAN connection,We have 3 switch (2 normal and 1 UPlink).40 PC and a router which is dirctly connected to the ISP.So for that i need a network diagram.Also i was face a problem that some system shows 10 mbps and other shows 100 mbs.The Auto Detect feature dose not work for some system.

Plz help the same.Click to expand...

In all reality a company with 40 PCs is not a SMALL company lol. Lets start simple. Some of the systems show 10MBPS due to the probability of OLD network cards. I would recommend there to go to compusa or something and just buy a bunch of the 5 dollar cheapies. As far as the network goes, you should really have someone go in and do Cable runs to wall plates. Have a patch panel in place so that all your cabling is in one place, instead of having hubs everywhere.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-a-network-diagram-for-3-switch-and-one-router.71584/
Relevancy 44.72%

hi, Iím goi9ng to get a blu ray player for my room and in order to use the blu ray live part of it i need to connect it to the internet. currently in my room i have a pc and an xbox 360 and just change over the Ethernet lead when i want to use one or the other, but now i would like a more permanent solution so that i donít have to change over the lead if i want to watch a blu ray disc, go on my xbox 360 or pc. my question is will something like this do the trick?

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/33090...roductReviews.html?_SortType=4&go.x=13&go.y=8

if so does anyone know if this will decrease the signal strength that the Ethernet cable carries, as i would still need to be able to play games over xbox live.

thanks for the help

Billy

Relevancy 44.72%

Not really a big problem since all is working as it should but should I be able/not be able to see my DGS-2208 on my network map?

Currently it just shows my pc- d-link systems- internet

My router is dlink dir-655. Is just combing the switch and router into 1 icon?

Thoughts?

A:Added a switch: Not visible in network map

Try rebooting your machines a couple times, that usually will get the switch to show up. I have the same router and had to reboot twice to get my switch to show up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/136921-added-switch-not-visible-network-map.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am trying to network 4 computers (2 running Windows 7 Pro and 2 running windows 7 home premium). Each computer needs to have a static IP (10.19.1.99, .98, .97, and .96) with subnet at 255.255.255.0. Default gateway is blank.

When the computers are all on and connected to my Linksys 5 port 10/100 Workgroup switch, all the networks show as Unidentified networks in the network and sharing center and all are public. I am unable to change this.

I am also unable to "see" the other computers in the network map.

I have searched multiple threads and done many things but I can't seem to figure it out.

I do not need internet, just to be able to see all the computers and use and move files between them.

A:Trying to network 4 computers with no internet using switch

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

Maybe the info in this tutorial will help:
Unidentified Networks - Set as Private or Public

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/287041-trying-network-4-computers-no-internet-using-switch.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I'm trying to create a network between two computers and a laptop using both a switch and a router so that I can use the two IP addresses provided by my ISP. My setup is as follows:

My cable modem is connected to the switch (some SMC EZ-Switch). From the switch it is connected to one computer and to a wireless router (DIR-615). The wireless router is connected to another computer and my laptop.

So one computer will have it's own IP, while my other computer and laptop will share one via the router. The problem is the computer with it's own IP cannot see the computers connected to the router on the network, and vice versa.

So, how can I get this setup to work?

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi guys I am usually pretty good with these things as I have been networking for years does switch Network shows exist not map that and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Information Technology Network map shows switch that does not exist but this one has be baffled As you can see in the image below the network map shows my PC---Switch---Router modem---Internet The problem is that the switch has only appeared recently and I have not installed any switches nor do I have a need for one as my PC is the only device wired to the router all others are WiFi I have looked everywhere for a solution to this both on my computer and on the internet and have come up blank The other problem is that I had my PCs Main in office and one connected to TV in lounge room and laptop all set up so they could each access the other device's shared file through the Home Group however now I can not see or access the other from my main PC but I can see and access the Main PC from the other TV system and laptop While all this is happening if you look at the bottom of the image you will see that the TV system is in the 'The following discovered devices cannot be placed in the map' section This has me totally confuzzled Any help here is appreciated guys thanks

A:Network map shows switch that does not exist

UPDATE: After having the main PC off for a while and turning it back on tonight, it seems the other computers are now visible in the network section of the side panel (see first pic below). The other systems in the side panel didn't disappear until the last few days and the system has been turned off and on many times lately with no change.....until today. DAMMIT CIA....STOP MESSING WITH MY STUFF !!!

Also there are now more devices in the 'The following discovered devices cannot be placed in the map' section. The non-existent 'Switch' is also still there . I may try changing the network cable between the router and the PC and see if that gets rid of it, but I have my doubts. The second pic shows all the other devices now in the 'The following discovered devices cannot be placed in the map' section.

But somehow they are all showing up under 'Computers' under the 'Network' section of the control panel. I'm lost lol.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/398849-network-map-shows-switch-does-not-exist.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Let's say I have no router or DHCP server on the network. All I have is a switch on a closed LAN. No access to the internet is wanted. Let's say I manually assign IP addresses to all computers.

To be clear, there is no router, just a switch.

Will this work for file and printer sharing?

Relevancy 44.72%

OK So on my home network we have your normal cable modem router and gigabit switch setup allow multiple cannot devices! Network switch The Network switch cannot allow multiple devices! router is a high speed linksys model gigabit and the gigabit switch is an port The ethernet goes all through the house but I ve recently built a media room In this room I have a Zensonic High-def network dvd player for streaming media a gaming media pc an xbox ps modded xbox for more media streaming and a wii The wii isn t really relevant to the problem because it is wifi but I m proud of my media room The problem was that I needed to network all of these and when the house was built we only ran one ethernet port into the room No big deal I thought because as long as I m just streaming media a switch would be sufficient So I pulled out an old hub not a switch All of these devices were hooked up and it worked great Then one day it all just stopped The hub was old so I ran out and got a netgear fs switch on sale for bucks at office depot This still hasn t fixed the problem but has helped me diagnose it When I plug in the uplink I get a blinking response When I plug in the next device it works and is recognized However every device after that causes the switch to stop working and just start blinking No activity it looks like an error code of some kind Have I put too much on this little switch It was working just fine for months on just a hub Any thoughts Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

I have a wrt54g running dd-wrt firmware that is set to be access point-wireless range extender, it is wired to a wrk54g running stock linksys firmware which is hooked to the cable modem.

Here is the problem, i can access my home network and ping pcs on the wrk54g"main router" from pcs wired to the wrt54g"Access Point" my laptop gets full signal all around my house"use to get 2 bars on opposite side of house from wrk54g" while on the internet,but cannot access the net from pcs wired to the wrt54g"access point", Im sure im missing something simple, but have going over it for hours, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone needs screen shots of the router setup let me know what screens you need to see.

Thank you, GamesterX

Relevancy 44.72%

Well, a while back, I posted about getting a Network Peripherals KeyStone24MG, and now I have a 9-pin RS-232 cable to connect via console. Now what do I do? I connect with hyperterminal on COM-1, and it only shows a white screen :/

A:Connecting to Network Switch via HyperTerminal

I've never worked with or heard of this switch company. You'll need to get the pinouts for the serial port on that switch to make sure it's not a custom type configuration. Some switches require a null modem cable. Some require a custom cable only available through the manufacturer or through building a custom cable (that's provided if you have the pinouts).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-to-network-switch-via-hyperterminal.1089020/
Relevancy 44.72%

i'm trying to connect my two computers to each other using the ethernet switch i already have to connect them to the internet. i've looked all over but i can't find a relevant guide/tutorial.

A:two computer network with ethernet switch

Is it a switch, or a router?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/two-computer-network-with-ethernet-switch-151479.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have two wireless routers set up in my home running on different SSIDs. How do i configure the network connections so that it automatically connects to the one with the strongest signal (which depends on where I'm using the laptop)?? When i use the same ssid on both routers it doesn't seem to siwtch to strongest signal. One other bit of info -- one access point is 2.4ghz wireless G the other is a dual band (2.4 and 5ghz) wireless N.

A:Seamlessly Switch to best Network Connection

That's the difference between consumer-grade wifi equipment and the premium stuff which costs big bikkies. The latter can seamlessly "roam" when a user moves through an office building with her laptop, always establishing an association between the wireless NIC and the WAP with the currently strongest signal.

What you want is probably impractical unless your wifi NIC drivers export "accessor" functions which would allow your code to poll for or subscribe to events corresponding to significant signal strength changes. Then you'd have to code the solution yourself (unless the NIC manufacturer already provides a utility or sample code), and that would be far from a trivial exercise.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/220904-seamlessly-switch-best-network-connection.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi guys,

I setup an VM Esi Server, and setup the 2x physical adapters for network teaming. I understand i also have to do this on the cisco switches (2960g). Does this config seem correct?

SwitchA - 2960G
interface GigabitEthernet0/5
description EsxiServer
switchport access vlan 200
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast
not shut

SwitchB - 2960G
interface GigabitEthernet0/6
description EsxiServer
switchport access vlan 200
switchport mode access
spanning-tree portfast
no shut

thanks heaps for all your input very much appreciated

Relevancy 44.72%

I have an office addition in which I ve extended the network connection from the wall by adding a port Linksys workgroup switch This was done so two salespeople could share one ethernet wall connection They ve been complaining about internet speeds so I did some tests Replaced the Linksys workgroup switch with a higher end port switch we had on hand from Allied Telesis an AT-GS Resulted in no change in speed on the two user computers one desktop one laptop both seeing avg of Mbps However when using Solved: slows Network a when down switch! I connect my laptop the speeds were twice as fast Mpbs vs I looked at the NIC configurations to compare settings and we all had the same settings When I eliminate the switches altogether and hook the user s computers directly to the wall connection the speeds are as promised by our ISP Mbps Is there something I need to configure in these switches to speed them up I don t think it s possible to manage the Linksys Is my only option at this point to pay for another ethernet re-wire so each of them can connect directly via the wall and eliminate the switches Not really knowledgable about switches so any insight would be appreciated Thank you nbsp

A:Solved: Network slows down when using a switch!

Wow, since the response was so "overwhelming", I have to assume that no one knew an answer. While reading about network switches, most information seemed to claim that network switches should not cause any noticeable delays "if configured properly". Since my workgroup switch was an unmanaged switch, I guess I'll never know what was configured wrong. I was able to get resolution by taking a network hub into the office and swapping out the workgroup switch with the hub. Right away the speed test showed network speeds more in line with what we were promised from our ISP (14-15 Mbps down). Bottom line: yes, the switch was slowing the network down. I fixed the problem by replacing it with a simple network hub.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-slows-down-when-using-a-switch.1094933/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a new Siemens router and have set up my old LinkSys router as a switch (set DNS outside the IP range of the primary router, disabled DHCP server, connect LAN to LAN port).

The SSIDs are still different. As a result each device now sees 2 networks and although internet GW is available from either connection, not al resources are shared across the network. There is one driveshare (with wired connection to the secondary switch) which cannot be seen by some of the wireless resources on the same secondary network.

Questions:
1. How can I set up the NW config such that it is seen and behaves like one physical network, anbd roaming devices pick up the signal from the strongest access point?

2. How can I share resources across the entire network?

A:using router as switch to extend network

Set your second Linksys WAN IP address to be part of the siemons network address range and do port forwarding from the WAN to LAN ports for all traffic.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-router-as-switch-to-extend-network.1023204/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,

Machine is Dell Inspiron 530
windows vista.

i cannot get on any network. command prompt just tells me a bogus ip 169.xxx.x.x

when i go to the network setting it just keeps saying "identifying" can see anything on the net work. cant ping anything and when ever i try to enable network discovery and switch to private network just give me an error message saying "request is not supported" .

the machine was infected with "open could security" fake anti spyware program and was removed. used MW bytes and Super Anti. didn't find anything, also used HJT to make sure no process' were running that shouldn't be.

made sure the services that were suppose to be running. only one particular one would not start it was called "server" just kept saying it was stopped because it was not being used?

thanks.

any feed back would be appropriated

A:[SOLVED] Cannot Switch to private network

Hello Rotary_Bunta,

Are you trying to connect via a Wired network or a Wireless one?
A 169-adress (In a normal network) is Windows self-generated IP adress and is not usable for LAN/WAN's. So there's definately something wrong there.

Please have a look at the Network card drivers, make sure they're up to date.
Go to the device manager (Start > Search > "devmgmt.msc" > ENTER) and Maximize the Window, and take a printscreen of that view. highligt the network card.

Also extract an IPCONFIG report and attach it to your next reply:
Go to Start > Search.
Type "cmd" > Rightclick "cmd.exe" > Run as administrator.
Type the following command: ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt > Hit ENTER.

Also:
Thread is moved to Networking.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/solved-cannot-switch-to-private-network-604293.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I've been running with problems switch Network/Homegroup new two desktop computers Win ent x on both and a networked printer on a very old port network Network/Homegroup problems with new switch switch for several months now The switch is connected to a wireless router and the switch is for things without wireless capability The computers on the switch are on a completely different network than the laptops on the wireless router though I believe the switch acts as it's own network instead of becoming part of the network of the wireless router I had both desktops joined in a homegroup because I have some music and other media on one that I wanted to share and stream to the other which is hooked up to a TV That worked for a while which surprised me because the switch is only a and I was streaming a some movies that were - GB files One day though the homegroup speed randomly dropped to KB s not even enough to copy over a Word document or anything The computers still both showed up in the network but the speed stayed at that level Since then it has been impossible to stream anything so I stopped for a while The other day I picked up a Rosewill port gigabit switch hoping I could get my homegroup running again and with a faster newer switch be able to stream everything without issue I got it all plugged in and hooked up just like the last one but it isn't working quite right It appears to be set up to pass through devices to the wireless router because if I try to go to the IP for the config page it takes me to the wireless router's page The printer and one of the desktops also now show up in the network of the wireless router All of the laptops see them and I can connect to the homegroup on the wireless network with them The other desktop the one with everything I want to stream on it however appears to work the same way but does not show up in the network list of any computer nor does it show any other computers in its network list Both computers connect to the internet just fine and as far as I can tell everything is set up identically I've tried removing and adding the network on both desktops and it always comes back to the same thing Seems to me that since they are both plugged into the switch they should at least be visible to each other The desktop with the media always wants to create its own homegroup even though there should already be one there on that network I'm not sure if that makes a ton of sense but I've been working at this for a couple hours and nothing I can think of works Any thoughts would be appreciated

A:Network/Homegroup problems with new switch

You might have had a managed switch or a smart switch before, this would allow you to set the two network up independent of each other. As far as a know Rosewill doesnt have any managed switches so there is no configuration webGUI. This is why you're reaching your router when you type in the address.

With homegroup issues have you tried recreating it on the machine that used to be running the homegroup?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/276039-network-homegroup-problems-new-switch.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I installed a qwest DSL modem. Ran a 25 foot cat 5 to another room. Connection speed is fine straight from the line. I plug it into a 10/100 switch and loose all speed. I connected two computer to the switch and they ping each other just fine. So the switch is fine, the line to the switch is fine. Why am I not getting the connection speed to the computers on the home network? Not even one at a time....

thanks for helping!

Relevancy 44.72%

I have a D-Link DES switch which is connected to a router which is connected to a cable modem I have computers and a NAS also connected to the router I have more computers connected to the switch All computers password Switch requires Network can access the inet normally Each of the computers on the router can see and talk to the NAS The computers on the switch can see the NAS but when I try to connect to it it is asking for a password The computers are a mix - XP Vista W They are all configured as workgroup no domain If I move a computer from the router to the switch Network Switch requires password it will also request a password to access the NAS If the NAS is on the switch then all will require a password I have no clue why it is asking for a pw or what pw it would like A switch is not configurable correct It is just suppose to connect everything The computers on the switch get the IP from the router as do the ones on the router So what am I missing thx bill nbsp

A:Network Switch requires password

The NAS still may require a password of some sort to keep unwanted people out of it. What model of NAS do you have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-switch-requires-password.992406/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey, I have a 200Mbps internet connection, my laptop and CCTV are connected to a 100Mbps unmanaged switch, which obviously also goes back to the router. When I run a speed test with a live stream (local) of the CCTV running, the entire network crashes. WiFi and all. I guess I'm maxing out the switch?
I have ordered a gigabit switch so it's not really an issue, I just wander has anyone else come across this and maybe could explain whats actually going on?

Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/390250-100mbps-switch-crashing-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello I am trying to setup a simple network of Win XP pro machines desktops laptops each having network cards of these except one desktop that needs shielding from the internet the bad bad outside world have one of their NICs connected to the ISP provided jacks which mite be going to the building hub or router I have connected the nd NICs of all PCs to a Gigabit switch for internal faster data transfer network I have set them with private IPs x and subnet - Network switch one Setup Dual with and a fake gateway and no DNS names I have set them up in the same workgroup Surfers for windows I do have shared files and folders on each m c Dual Network Setup - one with switch My issues are the PC fails to make a connection at times makes a quot limited or no connectivity quot connection at times when it does have a gbps connection it does not show up the other PCs in the workgroup in the Windows Explorer What am I doing wrong Is there another solution Is there another way of viewing the shared files Thank you all in advance Regards unicorn nbsp

A:Dual Network Setup - one with switch

Quite frankly, I'd just connect a single NIC to a common gigabit switch and then run a line from that switch to the broadband router. That's how I run my network, and I have gigabit for all the machines on the LAN.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-network-setup-one-with-switch.563823/
Relevancy 44.72%

I would like to confirm that the settings I have are correct for a second managed switch I am adding to my network. DHCP I have disabled, IP address I have found one on the network unused (192.168.1.xxx), subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. The only thing I'm not sure about is the default gateway setting - what should this be?

A:Configuring second managed switch on network

Default gateway should be the LAN IP address of the router you use to go to the Net, IE the one connected to your modem and or LAN IP address of a Modem/Router combo box.

But if you are disabling the DHCP server in a managed switch you are basically turning that managed switch into a dumb switch just like any other. Well not like any other Dumb switch.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/267085-configuring-second-managed-switch-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi guys st post hope someone out there can help My problem is i have with gigabit Network switch/router help just upgraded my network to gigabit and im only seeing transfer speeds of around mb Network help with gigabit switch/router s and i think i should Network help with gigabit switch/router be getting more I have the black sky sagem router and a tp-link port gigabit switch TL-SG D I have one cable from the switch to the router then cables connecting my Network help with gigabit switch/router devices d tv ps xbox pc pc qnap ts- all cables are either cat e or cat both pcs run windows Everything works fine i can stream from my pcs to tv via the xbox or ps or i can stream from my qnap to my tv and everything access s the internet ok But when i transfer media from either pc to pc or pc to qnap the speeds are - mb s Both network cards are set to auto negotiation on the pcs When i go into task manager gt networking the link speed shows mbps If i disconnect the router from the switch its still the same Ive tried forcing it to gbps full dulplex transfer speeds dont improve Any advice would be highly appreciated as its a pain transferring large files across the network any info ive missed out i will be happy to add thanks in advance Jay ps the cables and the switch are both brandnew nbsp

A:Network help with gigabit switch/router

think i have sorted it! sorry for the time waste!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-help-with-gigabit-switch-router.1041919/
Relevancy 44.72%

Would like to wire a residential high rise such that residents could split internet bill.

What would be the ideal design for such network:
1. Allow each unit to choose to be provider or consumer through the shared network, thus the case that two units wants to offer sevices of different providers with different last mile medium i.e. cable vs dsl vs fibre
2. Allow each unit how to connect to the shared network i.e. wifi vs ethernet
3. Minimize config change (both in-unit and outside of unit) per provider and consumer change
4. Provide fair dealing policies in terms of available network performance and fully utilize the max performance of each mult-wan links; ability to cut off a WAN when usage cap is reached.
5. Preserve identify such that ISP cannot detect the high number of connected devices or usage and attacks on vulnerabilities.
6. Allow future expansion possibilities to support smart condo and occupant sensing technologies available requiring digital networks.

A:Network Switch to Handle Multi-Wan?

this looks an awful lot like homework

https://hardforum.com/threads/network-switch-to-handle-multi-wan.1898641/
Relevancy 44.72%

hi, can anyone tell me the easiest way to create a network between multiple pcs using switch. We have 3 pcs . Currently i m using vista x32 ultimate. Other one also uses vista ultimate x32 and third one is laptop using xp sp1.

plz tell me how to connect them all into network enabling them all to share files and internet access making my vista computer a server.

I have a internet connection in 1 computer (the one that I am using) and I also have a Ethernet switch. I have all the cable ready too. I had to connect them before also but got no success.

I hope some one here might help.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/226688-creating-network-via-ethernet-switch.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Today I bought a Network Peripherals KeyStone 24MG network switch. I'm kind of looking for how to set it up and more information about it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/npi-keystone-24mg-network-switch.1083076/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello friends, I am having a strange problem with my home network.

I have a my HTPC plugged into a 5-port switch along with my Xbox 360, PS3, and U-Verse TV box. Naturally, all 5 ports are being used with line 1 going into my router. There are 3 other computers in my house plugged directly into my router.

My problem is that my network ceases to work whenever I plug in the switch. I am neither able to access the internet or view any other computer on my network for file/printer sharing. Running ipconfig shows that I have no LAN/internet connection. If I unplug the switch and plug in the components individually, then everything works normally.

I have tried 3 different switches but I am getting the same result. It is very inconvenient to have to manually unplug and plug in my various game consoles and TV box in order to enable them to access the internet.

Any ideas?

A:Plugging into a switch disables my entire network

make and model could help , Is it a managed switch ?

I use an 8 port switch and I much prefer the speeds I get with everything plugged into the switch and the switch as the only thing plugged into the router.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/151822-plugging-into-switch-disables-my-entire-network.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi All I am new and this is my first post so please be patient with me I have just bought myself a new DELL XPS Vista SP and Switch do i XP - Solved: Network How Belkin - Vista decided to try and network this with my old machine DELL DIMENSION C XP I bought a BELKIN -Port Network Switch Wired that the guy in the shop said is all I would need My problem is if i plug either one of my PC s into the switch on there own I can Solved: How do i Network Vista - XP - Belkin Switch access the Internet OK If I then plug my second PC into the Switch it will not log into Solved: How do i Network Vista - XP - Belkin Switch Internet say words to the effect Limited on no connectivity If I then disconnect the first PC I have to Power off on the switch and broadband modem to be able to get Internet access on the second machine I also want to be able to share files printers etc between the machines but i ve run the network setup wizards on both machine numerous times making sure each machine has unique name and the workgroup name is same on both machines but I get nowhere Sales people in the shop are no help all they say is that it should work no problem Please help I ve been at this now every night for days and just about ready to throw both machine out of the window Thanks Grant nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

I have an RJ45 cable run from my router to my component cabinet in the living room. The modem hooks into the router and then I have the four connections on it going out to two computers, a wireless router and of course the one connection to the component cabinet. I had a networked DVD player hooked to that RJ45 to access my computer's hard drive, but now I need to put an IR receiver in their so I can control my computer with my Universal Remote:

http://www.home-electro.com/

The question is do I need a router or will just a switch like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817180002

work? I was thnking the switch is all I need since the router is necessary only for sharing an Internet connection, correct? What's the difference?

Relevancy 44.29%

Hi,

I am trying to understand what are the advantages of having a managed network switch versus an unmanaged network switch ?

Thanks

A:managed network switch versus unmanged

Managed switches provide the ability to set up things like VLANs, QoS, ACLs, LAG groups, etc, etc. Higher level managed switches like layer 3 switches provide the ability to route traffic. There are other features that allow better administration of your network such as peering into the switch's ARP table adn examining the state of a port just to name a couple.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/managed-network-switch-versus-unmanged.740629/
Relevancy 44.29%

My house is currently wired with cat 6 wire in every room. We had an 8 port 10/100 switch under the stairwell but just upgraded to a gigabit switch. We have a cable modem and a linksys wireless router (10/100) on it is well. It is assigning the IP's on our network. Would I also need to get a gigabit router so that everyone on the network would get gigabit speeds providing they have the appropriate hardware? Sorry for the incoherence of this post, I hope somebody can make some sense of it.