Windows Support Forum

can I use 2 routers to extend wifi

Q: can I use 2 routers to extend wifi

is there any way I can use a cisco ea3500 and then use my netgear WGR614 as a wifi extender??

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: can I use 2 routers to extend wifi

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 66.65%

Hey All,

I have a question regarding extending my wireless network throughout my building.

I have on hand three Linksys WRT54GL wireless routers and am wanting to use all three to expand the coverage area of my signal.

What I am thinking is, using the latest firmware from Linksys, hard wiring the cable modem to the main router and then configuring each of the other two routers with a different IP, placing them a distance in either direction from the main central router. It sounds logical on paper, but can it be done?

If so, can anyone walk me through the process, or at least direct me to a link where this process is explained in detail?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 65.79%

I recently went to PC world and asked them about extending my network to an office that is situated in the garage beside my house. A phone line is present which is just taken from the same line that is in my house. The office is around 50m from my current wireless modem router (netgear dgn2000).

They supplied me with dLAN duo and a belkin wireless router (n150 - enhanced wireless router). however i do not know how to set this up. would anybody be able to tell me how? i currently have one of the dlan adpaters connected to ethernet port 1 in the netgear router and do not know where to connect the other one. i am also having problems setting up the belkin router. Thanks in advance

A:Extend wirless network by using 2 routers and dLAN duo?

OK, I'll take a stab, this sounds like fun.

You have two wireless routers and 2 powerline adapters/bridges that will interface with either USB or ethernet. The first wireless router already has the high speed modem connected to WAN port and is working properly. The second router is not yet configured and the power line adapters have not yet been utilized.

First, connect one of the powerline adapters to the LAN port of the router that already has internet. You'll need a CAT5 ethernet patch cable. Now, plug that powerline deal into the wall. Then, repeat this for the other router. Now remember with this new router you do NOT want anything plugged into the WAN port, furthurmore you need to disable DHCP and configure the same essid name but a different channel.

That should get you going in the right direction.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend-wirless-network-by-using-2-routers-and-dlan-duo.938214/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello everyone I have searched for days trying to find the answer to a problem that I m having and haven t come up with any solution I have Connection extend routers to two range wireless two wireless routers a linksys BEFW S and a d-link DI- The D-Link is much faster but the range is horrible The range on the linksys is much better I would like to set them up so that computers connecting within the range of the d-link can take advantage of the speed but outside of the d-link the computer will connect through the linksys Is this even possible Or would it work to set it up so that one computer connects wirelessly through the d-link and one connects through the linksys That could work too I only have one DSL router and the linksys and d-link routers are sitting next too Connection two wireless routers to extend range each other I have tried connecting the linksys with an ethernet cable from the linksys port for internet to an open port on the d-link and configured them similarly but with separate ips Either way nothing I have done has worked and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a solution Your time is much appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Connection two wireless routers to extend range

This should work OK I think. I'm not up on wireless, much prefer a bit of wire. I have two ADSL routers on my network (only one connected to my ISP) and all machines hook up OK using DCHP form the connected router. See as you can only have 1 DCHP server the wireless machines will probably need to have static addresses. I would think it will work better if the two routers were not too close.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-two-wireless-routers-to-extend-range.27341/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey all,

I am wanting to extend my wireless range out into my garden for the summer, and as my standard router doesn't have enough distance on it, I wondered if I might be able to use the kit that I have currently to help at all...

Ok, so I have a

Netgear WGR617v7 router (current router)
Netgear WNR 2000V2 router (unused)
2 x Homeplugs (just for Xbox in top bedroom)

I am thinking maybe connecting one router to the other via the homeplug might work, but I have no clue how to go about setting it up, settings etc- anyone have any ideas?

Cheers!

Chris

A:Extend wireless range- 2 routers + homeplug

One way ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend-wireless-range-2-routers-homeplug.1054790/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi Could you please tell me if this is possible:
My computer is connected to a wireless network. Can I hook up my D-link (DIR-412) to my computer and use the internet from the computer to output another wireless area?

Thanks sounds complicated.

A:Connected to WIFI and want to extend wifi with another wireless router

Where you live is your setup like this?

Internet
Modem
WiFi Router

or

Internet
Modem with built-in WiFi Router

If you want extend the WiFi you would get WiFi Access Point. Or you can take a WiFi Router and disable NAT, SPI, DCHP, then you create a static IP address. 192.168.x.50

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connected-to-wifi-and-want-to-extend-wifi-with-another-wireless-router.199845/
Relevancy 59.34%

hello, I have an arris broadband modem combo and the wifi signal in the basement is poor I tryed to connect a netgear n 300 wireless router (wnr2000v3) to extend the wifi with an ethernet cable but the neatgear router does not have an internet connection. what can i do or what am I doing wrong?

Relevancy 58.91%

My modem/wifi/mta is in one box from the local cable company. On the extreme edges of the house, the wifi signal is weak. How best to extend this range, another AP, a repeater? Can you connect another router to the main router with Ethernet cable and relocate it in the weak area. Having two different SIDs/channels a problem? Most devices will auto change to strongest signal? Or other suggestions.

A:How best to extend my wifi range

1) Can you relocate the original router? You can join two LAN cables via a female-to-female adapter and maybe put the original router in a better spot.

2) Some people have had luck changing the antenna on their original router.
D-Link - ANT24-0700 - 7dBi Omni-Directional Indoor Antenna at TigerDirect.com
The link above is just an example, I'm not suggesting that you use that particular model or retailer.

3) I'll let others comment on their luck with range extenders. I've used them in some settings, but the throughput suffers.

4) I'll let others comment on their luck with other options :-)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/296450-how-best-extend-my-wifi-range.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I am attempting to extend the range of a WIFI network to cover two buildings, about 300 ft apart. I have installed a D-link extreem -N router and 3 7dbi antennas, however I am still a bit short in range. ( each building has a firewall which seems to be limiting reception).

My research suggests that range expanders are unreliable and difficult to set up.

Thanks

A:Extend WiFi Range

Perhaps some directional antennas might be the ticket?
Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.
Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For 802.11n applications, this ZyXEL ANT1106 6db omni-directional antenna can be used.

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

If you have a wireless adapter that doesn't have provisions for an external antenna, one adapter that I've had good luck with is a Rosewill RNX-G1 USB Wireless Adapter. It's feature is that is has a removable antenna and will accommodate replacement antennas.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend-wifi-range.948194/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi all I have owned my home for years and I ve never been able to have wireless signal in any of the bedrooms I ve bought a few new routers that claim to have good range Belkin F D - v and wifi need to range extend an ASUS RT-N U but still no luck with either of them The issue is that I have a cable need to extend wifi range modem in my office which is close to our main TV and PS but that side of the house is an addition and is separated from the rest of the house by a year old block wall Running an ethernet cable from my office to the other side of the house would be a real pain and something that I would like to avoid at almost all cost I get great download speeds with the ASUS router and would like to continue using that as the main modem in my office but I was thinking about trying one of the available power-line network adaptors http www amazon com ZyXEL-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-PLA KIT dp B D GF FU ref dp ob title ce and setting up a secondary wireless signal for the other side of the house with the Belkin router I m afraid that I don t know much about setting this up or if it would even work I would primarily use this connection to use the iPad and stream Hulu Plus or Netflix to the bedrooms Can anyone give me some advice on using powerline adaptors for the application that I have in mind Also I m looking for a tutorial on how to set up a second wireless signal using the two routers that I have Thanks in advanced for anyone with some helpful advice nbsp

Relevancy 58.91%

I would like to have wifi beyond Extend wifi house in my shed workshop which is Extend wifi beyond house all steel construction Even standing outside the door I m at the limit of our household wifi so I m wondering what options I have An ethernet cable would be one I m sure but a little difficult to run I ve seen reference to networking via the electric power supply cables but don t understand it Would I still need a router in the shed I d really like some kind of hot spot because I mostly use my tablet which doesn t have broadband or an ethernet port Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU M GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer Inc K Jr Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

So I'm having trouble getting on my home wireless internet using my iPhone.

My router is in the basement, and whenever I'm on the third floor, my laptop gets around 2 bars, but my iPhone can't pick up the signal.

So is there any way that I can use my laptop as a second router to extend my wifi to my iPhone? I've tried third party programs like Virtual Router Manager, Connectify, Maryfi, but my iPhone (4S model) picks up the signal for like 20 seconds, and then the wifi just drops for 10 minutes, then picks it up again for like 20 seconds, then drops for like 10 minutes again, and on...)

Is there any way that windows 7 can do it natively? or are there any other solutions out there? thanks!

A:How do I extend my laptop's wifi Internet to my iPhone?

Hello,

Wireless Repeaters/Extenders would help.

If the Router has external Antenna, you may replace them with High Gain Antenna and they are quite reasonable. The higher the dBI's the better signal you'll get. I use them at my home and it works great.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...h+gain+antenna

Tips to help improve wireless network.
How to improve your wireless network and boost its signal

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/203432-how-do-i-extend-my-laptops-wifi-internet-my-iphone.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have Beetel TC ADSL Modem Router connected to ISPs Extend router WiFi of using range G604T/2640T 450TC2 RJ Phone Line - DSL at ground floor of my home All devices laptops and Android Phones Yureka Mi and Samsung S are connected over WiFi and enjoy good signal n speeds on ground floor and front half of first floor I need WIFI n Internet connectivity at full first and second floor and possibly rd floor if not asking too much I have spare D-Link DSL-G T and D-Link DSL- T WiFi ADSL modem routers Primary DSL Modem Router Beetel Extend WiFi range of 450TC2 router using G604T/2640T TC has PPPoE Airtel Connection with dynamic ip from ISP My DSL is on x IP Address Laptops n Smartphones get anything like - at max and even more when guests are here I do not have option to connect the TC and G T T using wire Phone or CAT or Electric as per design of house building I cannot use G T T as primary router I do see WDS setting in Beetel TC but not in G T T I have not changed anything on TC however i have RESET G T T and then changed following using wired lan connection between PC n G T T IP of G T T to Wireless SSID n Channel to be same Extend WiFi range of 450TC2 router using G604T/2640T as TC i e SabharwalHome and DHCP at G T T has been disabled No ATM PPP settings have been configured as the G T T devices have been HARD RESET using the button provided Please help nbsp

A:Extend WiFi range of 450TC2 router using G604T/2640T

i suspect those routers will not work as extenders
they cannot have DD-WRT installed

The can be used as switches , but you would need to run a cable

the other option is powerline adapters which use the electrical wiring , you can get them with a wireless facility as well

or wireless extenders

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend-wifi-range-of-450tc2-router-using-g604t-2640t.1144416/
Relevancy 55.47%

What function does onboard RAM serve on a WiFi router?

A:Why Do WiFi Routers Have RAM?

Homework Time???

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. RAM is needed to run the OS on which the router runs. The router needs to maintain routing tables which are kept in RAM as well as MAC address tables for the built-in switch.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-do-wifi-routers-have-ram.794681/
Relevancy 55.04%

Am a newbie with wi-fi routers and laptops The cable from the wall that I use now will after I purchase a router go firstly to the Cox Cable modem provided by my local cable company Cox then from there a cable will connect to a router then from the router a signal wireless goes to a laptop ready to go with wireless The laptop may now receive the internet Now with my Laptops, WiFi, Routers, trusty new desktop is WiFi, Routers, Laptops, there still a cable from the same modem to my destop computer that enables me to receiver the internet What I am trying to find out is if two computers in the same house one a laptop Toshiba the other my desktop can receive the internet at the same time The second part of WiFi, Routers, Laptops, the question and thanks for WiFi, Routers, Laptops, bearing with me if I make my desktop computer wi fi with a card PCI or USB adapter can both in house computers use the internet at the same time And can both be cabled non-wireless at the same time for same time internet Thanks Ron nbsp

A:WiFi, Routers, Laptops,

Yes. That's what routers do.
Your router will come with a setup program that should make this easy, but let us know if you have problems.

"What I am trying to find out is if two computers in the same house ( one a laptop...Toshiba), ...the other my desktop, can receive the internet at the same time?"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-routers-laptops.923874/
Relevancy 55.04%

Im looking for help on this problem:

I have BT 2WIRE wifi router (downstairs) that is connected to the internet and my laptop and PS3 are too via WEP.

However, i have installed Ubuntu on PS3 and wish to use ethernet as the wifi doesnt work on this version of Ubuntu without messing around with it.

So i have a second wifi router, the BT HomeHub (in my room), currently with no internet.

Basically i want to connect to the internet with the laptop over wifi using the BT 2WIRE, and i want to connect to the internet via ethernet with the PS3 using the HomeHub.

So i just need to wifi the internet to the second router OR i wouldnt mind connecting the PS3 through an ethernet on my laptop.

Please help, i will really appreciate it and will leave feedback, thanks!

A:Wifi internet between 2 routers?

Next time be patient...

This thread has more replies to post here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-internet-between-2-routers.706281/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi all
I have a Linksys WAG54GP2 in my house and a WRT54G in the garage. The two are connected together by a cable. What i want to do is make the wrt extend the wireless network that the wag54 is propogating so that there is only one network. At the moment there are two wireless networks on my property but i only want one.
Any questions/clarifications please ask!
Cheers
Allan

A:2 Routers, 1 Wifi Network

You really cannot connect two routers to each other, unless you have the ability to turn off the routing functionality on one of them to make it work like a simple switch. See if the adnin panel on either of them allows this type of reduced functionality operation.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-routers-1-wifi-network.114158/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a Linksys connected to a broadband modem. Connected to this router via cable (about 300ft away) is a Nexxt Solution router. This is used for a second wifi network and cable connection to a desktop. The Nexxt Solution pretty much set itself up so the only thing I had to do was to assign a name and password for the WiFi.

My problem is that I can no longer access the Linksys Web Configuration. Both the Routers have IP 192.168.1.1.

How do I configure the Nexxt Router so I can access both configuration?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/245645-series-wifi-routers.html
Relevancy 55.04%

If you are OK with going into the router configuration, then there normally is a way of throttling connections to the router. At the very least you can set times that the connections will be active for your children. Also, unless all computers are running at the same time and downloading files, or streaming, you may have a virus on one if not all of the computers that is utilizing your bandwidth. I do not think you can monitor bandwidth from your router, but use the help menu and get familiar with the software for the router it will be handy in the future.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/something-serious-problem-abt-wifi-routers.669386/
Relevancy 54.18%

Greetings I have problem with QoS using routers Routers Router Asus RT-N SW Tomato by Shibby Tomato Firmware MIPSR - K 2 over connected WiFi routers, QoS when problem with USB AIO this router is set up as main router with DHCP enabled PPPoE enabled QoS setup Local IP 2 routers, problem with QoS when connected over WiFi netmask gateway modem Router Asus WL- gP V SW DD-WRT DD-WRT v -sp mega - build set up as Wireless Access Point I followed this instruction http www dd-wrt com wiki index php Wireless Access Point - DHCP disabled WAN disabled Local IP netmask gateway Routers are connected with UTP in LAN port on both routers Problem Devices connected to router s WiFi are seen on router s IP Traffic Details under IP this IP belongs to router all other types of connections are working OK router LAN and WiFi and router LAN problem is only with router WiFi On router I have setup DHCP with static leases to all home devices and all of connected devices get correct static IP address no matter how are they connecting router LAN or WiFi and router LAN or WiFi How can I setup router that router will see all devices on their static IP under IP Traffic Details that I will be able to set QoS for each device different Thanks for your help nbsp

A:2 routers, problem with QoS when connected over WiFi

have you checked that there is not a DHCP service for the wireless access point - IF DHCP is turned off on the 2nd router that ALL the IPS should be from router 1

if you have assigned static IPs to all the devices and then they should be controlled by router 1

But you say router 1 DHCP is enabled ?
what range have you assigned

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-routers-problem-with-qos-when-connected-over-wifi.1084844/
Relevancy 54.18%

Im having problems with my home network. I have two routers connected via Ethernet network cable. The secondary router I changed the ip adress and set dhcp to disable the primary router has no setting changed every thing is working fine but the wifi on the primary router. Is there a setting I need to change? Any help would be great guys thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-wifi-two-routers-same-network.1110314/
Relevancy 54.18%

Ok here it is i have got wifi routers i want Daisy 3 routers chain wifi to daisy chain Router is main modem router which is connected to pcs and wif routers wired separately both of these wifi routers have there own ip address and dchp turned off so they work fine and Daisy chain 3 wifi routers broadcast wifi nicely now what i want to do is connect another wifi router to one of these routers not the main one but what setting do i need i tried to connect the Daisy chain 3 wifi routers rd wifi router with the same setting as per the other two ie diff ip and dchp off but when i plugged it into the port of the second router it would not Daisy chain 3 wifi routers show as connected or get an internet connection Its probably quite simple to sort out but with me being a dimwit i am tering my air out If i could not use a wifi router for this rd connection is there any other way of putting an extra ports on to my second stage router Any help would be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

Hi, Good day tech guys, i am from the philippines and would like ask how to setup 2 wifi routers at home. I have a Zyxel P-660hn-t1q as primary and my linksys wrh54g or prolink h6300g to be used as secondary wifi router. How can i configure or setup my secondary wifi router to extend the wifi range from the ground floor to the second floor of my house.

Any suggestions will greatly appreciated and thank you in advance for the help

Relevancy 54.18%

I am researching mobile broadband as an alternative to a landline.(Very long line, struggles to maintain 1MB connection)
The house is in a good 4G coverage area and I see I could get a mobile wifi router that will create a hotspot for devices connect to. So far so good but the house in question has extremely thick walls and a wifi signal cannot escape the room it's in. To get round this I have run cables and put wifi extenders in different rooms.
My question is, can I get a mobile wifi router that I could plug into the existing internal network to use instead of the current landline router?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/advice-mobile-wifi-routers-4600092/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a DLINK dir-655 and a netgear wireless router both have 4 wired ports and 1 WAN port and wifi capability. The DLINK is the primary router that connects out to the internet through a cable modem. It is on the 192.169.1.X network with wifi turned on. What I want to do is connect the netgear router to the DLINK router and use the wifi on both the netgear and dlink. The end result is I want to have 2 secure wifi networks with the same IP/subnet range. Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connecting-2-routers-together-with-2-wifi-networks.137327/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi there I have a problem maybe you all can help with. I have a D-Link DCM-202 Cable Modem. Connected to that is a Belkin Pre-N Router (F5D8230-4). I want to use a Belkin G Plus Router F5D7231-4 as an access point to extend the range of my network so I can sip some ice tea and surf the net from my back yard. So the tek support guy that spoke with such a thick accient that he might as well of been saying "blabby boogy ugga boo" But he said that it's not possible to use the G Plus Router F5D7231-4 as an access point. Is that so? I don't think so. From reading the forums here you all seem pretty able do figure anything out and my problem is just a little out of my leage. Anywho thanks for the help.

Relevancy 53.75%

I ve recently upgraded my internet provider to BT and received a BT Home Hub as the new wireless router Previous to this I was using a wireless Belkin G MIMO ADSL router model number F D - There are places in the house where the wireless signal is very poor Connecting to the internet using either of these routers is difficult in these spots However since the Belkin is now spare I ve been thinking about trying to use it as a low cost repeater i e free to extend the wireless range in the house There are several good articles that I ve found on this a a link routers wireless network between two wireless wireless using Extend site which address the connection of two routers together e g John Will s article on connecting two SOHO routers is a good example but they rely on an ethernet connection between the two routers I m just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a way to establish a wireless link between the two routers to extend the range of the current wireless network Cheers everyone and thanks in advance nbsp

A:Extend a wireless network using a wireless link between two wireless routers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend-a-wireless-network-using-a-wireless-link-between-two-wireless-routers.1074102/
Relevancy 53.75%

I am trying to connect, with permission, to my neighbor's wifi. I intend to use a Quad-4 transmitting antenna in the focal point of a parabola at his place and an additional quad-4 antenna on a parabola as receive at my house. 14 db gain should cross 1000 feet. My question is: what connections must I use at each site? My computer automatically connects to any available wifi. He will purchase a router, (Any recommendations)? to add another wifi ready laptop in another room in his house. I want to send his router wifi to my house. Will we need routers in each house? Head scratcher?...Easy?
Thanks guys...keep up the good work.

Relevancy 53.75%

Hey Tech Support Guy Until recently we only had a single wireless router for internet which worked fine downstairs but we grew tired of not having internet on the first floor so my father bought a second wireless router to be placed there acting as switch only thereby expanding the roaming area I found some online guides for the procedure and did everything as told Straight through cable between the routers two random ports NOT WAN Main router - connected to WAN Nothing changed Solved: wire on network via one wifi-routers Two Secondary router New IP main router is Solved: Two wifi-routers on one network via wire xxx xxx xxx and secondary is xxx xxx xxx DHCP disabled I have no problem finding both wi-fi networks but I can only receive an IP through the main network The second keeps trying to address me an IP but with no luck I tried unplugging everything and shutting power off but with no result The routers are two cheap brands that I am almost sure you do not know Zolid Wireless-G main and ExtremeIT Wireless-G secondary The internal software is something called SOHO Router main and some unknown software for the secondary It drives me crazy please see if you can help nbsp

A:Solved: Two wifi-routers on one network via wire

Your problem may be "Straight through cable between the routers."

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-two-wifi-routers-on-one-network-via-wire.759097/
Relevancy 53.75%

My internet provider said that it was because the McAffe. I replaced it with Microsoft Forefront Client Protection and I'm still having the same problem. It appears connected to the network but without internet access.
The router works fine (i can connect with other devices) and the computer can also get connected in another wifi networks. What can I do?? Please Help me!
Thanks

A:Cannot get wifi connection with routers that require wpa/wpa2

BTW:
Forefront info: Client Version: 1.5.1993.0
Engine Version: 1.1.8800.0
Antivirus definition: 1.137.596.0
Antispyware definition: 1.137.596.0
Inspiron 14Z 5423

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/255389-cannot-get-wifi-connection-routers-require-wpa-wpa2.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have an Actiontec PK5000 connected to a DSL line. I have Linksys WRT54G connected to the Actiontec. I want the Linksys do the DHCP address assigning because the Linksys (with DD-WRT firmware) had more capabilities than the Actiontec. However, use the DD-WRT features (MAC blocking, etc.) the Linksys must do the address assigning (DHCP).

I can get the Linksys to do the wifi connections but the Actiontec is doing the DHCP. Turning off DHCP on the Actiontec and turning the Linksys DHCP on does not make the Linksys assign the addresses.

How can I configure these two routers to get the Linksys to do the DHCP?

A:How do I make two routers work together on one wifi network?

right ideas but need altered wiring

NOT THIS
Code:
modem----(wan)router#1(lan)----(wan)router#2
USE THIS
Code:
modem----(wan)router#1(lan)----([B]lan[/B])router#2
leave router#2 wan slot empty and set it to disable DHCP.

Router#1 will control all DHCP assignments

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-make-two-routers-work-together-on-one-wifi-network.151322/
Relevancy 53.32%

So here s routers on really signal help range? wifi Does swapping with antennas my situation The wife and I got these email protected phones from T-mobile which lets you use your wifi connection to make phone calls We think this option might finally let us get rid of our land line Anywho my wifi router is in the basement and initially the phones signal reception was spotty So I decided to move the router to the living room just to see if it works any better It does work better but there are still a few weak dead spots in the house not a huge house mind you but it is old and has plaster walls and the like Tonight while I was at Circuit City I spied a wifi antenna that was probably around a Does swapping antennas on wifi routers really help with signal range? foot tall that claims to dramatically boost your wifi signal I m considering picking it up but am leery as to how well these things work Does anyone use anything like this How noticeable is the difference In the best case scenario I d like to move everything back to the basement and have this new antenna doing what it claims it does so I can Does swapping antennas on wifi routers really help with signal range? keep the living Does swapping antennas on wifi routers really help with signal range? room clutter free I ve also considered buying a new Linksys WRT G wireless router and flashing it with the homebrew firmware which apparently greatly boosts the signal strength Could I do this and have it fit my best case scenario Any help is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Does swapping antennas on wifi routers really help with signal range?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/does-swapping-antennas-on-wifi-routers-really-help-with-signal-range.740195/
Relevancy 53.32%

I recently found that "xfinity wifi" is showing up in my available internet access list as an openly available option.
I have comcast xfinity hi speed internet as my internet provider but have never had it show up on the routers available connections list before. The home network I set up years ago has a different name.

I am puzzled why this free open network has suddenly appeared in the list. As it requires no password I think there is a possibility its use might present a security risk
Is this a new Xfinity feature??

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/64370-xfinity-wifi-showing-up-my-routers-available-internet-connections.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I am trying to connect two wireless routers in order to extend the range of my wifi signal. Preferably they would be connected wirelessly.

The models are the Virgin Superhub (VMDG480) - which has the internet access - and the Netgear Wireless-G Router WGR614 v9 - which is intended for use as a repeater.

Firstly, is this possible, given that the Netgear model doesn't support client mode or bridging?

Secondly, if this is possible could anyone help me configure these routers? I know about having them on seperate channels and different IP addresses but that is about all I know.

Cheers

A:Solved: Is it possible to connect these two routers to increase wifi range?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-is-it-possible-to-connect-these-two-routers-to-increase-wifi-range.1055312/
Relevancy 53.32%

I have an HP Spectre x laptop that was purchased with Windows approximately months ago For the first several weeks I had no issues connecting to routers Issue Wifi 10 home wireless Windows on the internet using Windows 10 Wifi Issue on home wireless routers my home wireless router Then something went wrong because now I am having issues connecting to the internet At times I will connect for a few seconds and then get quot No internet quot and other times I cannot connect at all I have restored my machine to factory settings multiple times and removed the McAfee anti-virus software from the laptop I've also removed and reinstalled the latest network driver multiple times When I use the troubleshooting feature it tells me there are missing network components I generated a event log report and the last event that caused a disconnect reads as follows WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully disconnected from a wireless network Reason The network is disconnected by the driver I've tried to connect to the internet using a couple other home wireless routers and get the same negative result Although I am able to connect to the internet successfully using my Verizon Hotspot and through a secure WPA connection I'm running Windows Version My network driver is Intel Dual Band Wireless AC Any help would be greatly appreciated

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/32109-windows-10-wifi-issue-home-wireless-routers.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I just bought a new router Netgear N WNDR to replace a functioning Linksys WRT ver The idea was to avoid dead zones in the house wifi? "piggy-back" routers home and yard The new wireles N router does not seem "piggy-back" routers home wifi? to make any discernable difference in range surprisingly and dissappointingly paid about I have thought through a bunch of possible re-location scenarios but before I go to running ethernet cables everywhere pain in the I thought I would research the possibility of simply running a single CAT cable from the quot N quot router to a relocated spot for the quot G quot Lynksys that would get around the problem I suspect the issue is a slate-veneered wall in the living room that is between the router s and the TV and laptop sit-down places we like to use in that room We removed a wood-burning stove and decided to leave the slate fire-wall protection cause it looks good Is this idea silly incompatible N G handshake standards etc Or can I use the still perfectly functional Lynksys as described above That is ethernet-connect the G router to the N somewhere the other side of or maybe just nearer to that stone wall with cement backing board this slate wall is about an inch thick plus quot plywood nailed to standard stud-wall with fiberglass insulation I don t think the standard part of the wall construction is much of a problem but the dense concrete-board slate configuration probably is I am hesitant to move the new router because I now have good wifi in my shop out-building in the yard very near the present router location What I ultimately want to do without buying much if any new hardware is to have good internet access inside the house and in nearby outdoor areas small yard and two decks Most of the wanted outdoor areas are covered but this Wall I am of course open to suggestions that do NOT use the older quot G quot Lynksys but prefer some form of wireless connectivity to lots of CAT cabling Thanx in advance My research to this point indicates all sorts of possible communication problems between the routers and or the necessity to re-configure one router to be an quot access point quot but I do not understand all that very well seems ridiculously complicated to this poor half self-educated fool but a walk-through would be appreciated as would a clear quot you can t do that quot downriver as are we all nbsp

A:"piggy-back" routers home wifi?

Here is a link to a post in an old thread that may be of some help:
http://forums.techguy.org/networking/931778-better-client-mode-repeater-ap.html#post7464273

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/piggy-back-routers-home-wifi.999559/
Relevancy 46.01%

1 modem
1 Belkin N600 router
1 Linksys E1200 router running DD-WRT

Currently, Belkin router is connected to modem. Belkin's ip is 192.168.2.1
Linksys router's IP is 192.168.1.1 and its WAN port is connected to Belkin's LAN port.. internet is working fine however my PC can only access the GUi of the Belkin router since it is conected to the LAN port of the Belkin Router. I also want my PC to access the Linksys GUI without having to plug my PC's cable to the linksys..

How do i go about doing this?

Thanks a lot

Relevancy 46.01%

I am an IT guy so security is constantly on my mind -- I would like feed back as well some input and opinions into this injustice done by major manufacturers This is the fact that major manufacturers Commercial Consumer of Concerns Routers / Some Routers Security of Consumer Routers Mostly are building in quot Default quot back doors to these devices that are not documented in their manuals The fact that they Companies have built in users like quot User quot quot Admin quot quot Mso quot quot Moxi quot and quot Root quot Not only do they have built in users but they also have multiple inputs to those users ie quot User quot administrator quot User quot Michael Most of us are aware that the quot User quot is there and can be changed as well as user ie quot Admin quot admin quot Admin quot Password gt But I recently found a vendor with the hidden user named quot Root quot with default quot password quot and Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers also the user quot Moxi quot which is a multimedia acronym with the default password quot Blank quot These type of back that are not documented and pose a threat to our home routers via government or hackers and I personally think that they should stop I did not Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers list the names of the five most popular brands Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers on purpose I don't think this forum would like it much so I left the names out ALL are guilty of creating this type of back door with users I learned of this when my ISP called and said I downloaded some type of illegal music Which turned out to be someone using the back door quot Root quot and used my wireless router to accomplish it - GOTO Starbucks - I conclusion Back Doors may be fine but undocumented ones pose a security risk when you don't know they are there

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/36791-security-concerns-consumer-routers-some-commercial-routers.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello,

My stepfather who lives next door to me has a windows xp desktop and a actiontech modem with dynamic routing turned on for up to 4 computers on a dsl connection. I ran a cat 5 cable out of one of the ports and ran it to my house next door... about 175 feet roughly. I can get online next door. I am attempting to get all of the computers on the same network so we can share various resources and drives. All of the computers are apart of the same network, and I have double checked spelling... I have disabled all the firewalls, both on the machines and in the routers. If anyone can think of a step I might be missing, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

A:Mulitple routers, computers on diferent routers can't see one another.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mulitple-routers-computers-on-diferent-routers-cant-see-one-another.453213/
Relevancy 45.15%

For my work I am looking to create wireless capabilities to remote locations To do this we are using a standard modem router that is connected to an Engenius b g wireless outdoor radio connected to a dish antenna We are through currently working have routers, LAN Forward routers WAN series of the able to go to locations km and then with a corresponding receiving antenna using LoS receive the Internet and connect both to computers at Forward WAN through series of routers, the routers currently have working LAN the transmitting point as well as to the WWW The problem exists is that we want to employ a series of routers at the receiving end that would be able to carry the transmission to a different location relatively close due to the fact that some of the locations do not have line of sight to the antennas We are using Encore routers model ENHWI-N When we connect the radio s Ethernet into the routers WAN reciever we can connect to the Internet with a computer The problem exists is we want to pass that connection over to a second router R This connection is done when the routers are on access points set to a Forward WAN through series of routers, the routers currently have working LAN WDS function with R having R s mac address and vice versa Both routers are set to channel Even when the routers are seperated by distances gt m a computer plugged into R can see a computer plugged into R Files can be transferred between the computers wirelessly at speed around mbps However computer on R can not connect to the WWW This router features a spot that lights up if it has Internet access and R s is lit up but R s is not How do we transfer the Internet and not just a LAN from R to R so it can be accessed further away from the point of the radio and antenna equipment This setup has also been used where R is hardwired to R At R we change the channel to and then connect through that with mac addresses wirelessly to th router If comp is in R and far away it can still access and file share from comp at R edit the ip address for the routers exist all on xxx If the rd number is different between routers would this make a difference The routers are all on static ips TLDR SIZE Want to transfer wireless internet connection through a series of routers Can connect to www from R and can connect to R from both a R or a R via series of router with LAN and can share files but no WAN nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/forward-wan-through-series-of-routers-the-routers-currently-have-working-lan.1054482/
Relevancy 44.29%

I took my Acer Laptop to the computer shop to get my SSD fixed and when they finished it and got it home i noticed my drives where split into 2 drives of 50GB approximately; C: & D:.
I have been trying to merge or at least give some space to drive C: , but my extend volume button in the partition manager is gray, even tho i have allocated space.
please give me some advice.

A:Extend Volume on C: Drive grayed out, can't extend volume.

Disk Management will not do the extension, but Partition Wizard will do it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395287-extend-volume-c-drive-grayed-out-cant-extend-volume.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Have XP. Drive split evenly between C and D. C has 35.4GB Total Size and 544MB Free Space. D has 39.0GM Total Space and 39.0GB Free Space. I would like to create one drive or at least transfer some of space from D drive to C drive. Would appreciate some help in "how to". Thanks

A:How to Merge Partitions to Extend C Partition merge partitions to extend C drive

Windows Vista and newer have built-in tools that can resize volumes. See our tutorial for that here.Windows XP and earlier don't have the tools built-in, so you have to use a third party partitioning tool. We have a tutorial for that, too. This tutorial covers shrinking an existing volume to make space for a new second volume, but resizing two existing volumes is substantially similar.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443858/how-to-merge-partitions-to-extend-c-partition-merge-partitions-to-extend-c-drive/
Relevancy 39.13%

recently usb resources wifi adaptor wifi wifi not recognized, hogging i was having major computer issues on my desktop i did a full restore to factory settings and after doing a few windows updates i found that my network adaptor was not finding any signals it does not show up in the change adaptor settings wifi adaptor not recognized, usb wifi hogging wifi resources page or in the device manager page when i troubleshoot my internet connection it says an ethernet cable is not properly plugged in I have a desktop computer but it definately has a wireless network card i used to get windows updates for it and it just stopped wifi adaptor not recognized, usb wifi hogging wifi resources working one day when i look in the BIOS the only option related to booting a network card is B D Yukon PXE no matter when i boot it i still dont get wireless signals when i go into the boot menu and try to boot this device it says quot PXE E media test failure please check cable quot i have opened the tower and the card is securely in its slot i thought i would workaround by getting a usb wifi card I installed it and connected to the internet and it alternated between having a connection to the internet and being connected to the network but not the internet even when it is connected to the internet i cannot reach any web pages my dropbox desktop files wifi adaptor not recognized, usb wifi hogging wifi resources update very slowly kb s when i am connected with the usb card the network stops working for everyone else in the house they can no longer reach web pages or continue downloads please help gateway DX AMD Phenom II X processor GHz GB DDRII RAM windows home premium EDIT additionally nothing shows up when i scan with avast antivirus nbsp

Relevancy 36.55%

hi guys,

i want to expand my lan network.I'm gonna use engenius eoc-5611p access points.It's gonna be a point to multi-point connection.there are 3 areas to cover.So i need 4 access points,1 has to work as a ap with a omni-directional antenna and the others must be in bridge mode.The distance between the ap and the other areas is about 6km.
My question:
-what omni-directional antenna can i use with the engenius eoc-5611p to reech the other access points?
-which cable do i need to join the engenius eoc 5611p ap with the omni-antenna?

please i need you're help...

Relevancy 36.55%

Hello,

I wanted to know if it is possible to extend the IE in the following way:

I am surfing on a page which will relead content via ajax. But if a special word is mentioned I want to have a sound output :)

So, is it possible to add something like a polling to the IE7 which will check every 1-2 Minutes if a special word is available in the html code and if this word is available start a soundfile?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/extend-ie7-440445.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Guys, when i installed windows 7, i made a partition of 40GB. I fear this will be swallowed up very soon as i download near enough eveything i find within the forum. I have 2 internal HD, both 149GB. When i installed Win 7 i seem to have lost the other HD that has XP on it! It does not show up in My Computer! The other 109GB on the same HD as the 40GB Partitoin is doing nothing. Can i link it to the Win 7 Partiotion so when the win7 one fills up it links to the other 109gb?

Also, how can i go about linking my other internal HD up? Where has it gone? LOL,

cheers

A:How To Extend HD

goto startmenu,

rightclick on Computer, chose manage.

In the management console on the left pane chose disks management.

wait a few secs until disks show,

look for the missing drive,

If it is recognized it's there but without a drive letter.

Right click on the drive, select add drive letter,

chose a drive letter and click ok.

You're done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/17050-how-extend-hd.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi, as you see I have 86 GB of Unallocated space. I want to extend in size my "Downloadz (D:)" drive. But I don't get the "extend" option. How can I add this unallocated space to D: drive?? Thank You for your help!!

A:Can't Extend

No success here with extending volumes outside of Vista re-install.

You can easily make a new NTFS partition with unallocated space.

Right-click on unallocated space, format, assign drive letter

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cant-extend-364430.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Currently i am using HP-D009TU Laptop having 2GB ram i want to extend My RAM please suggest me whether i can upgrade my ram ? how many ram slots are having in my system?  if there are two ram slots then i will upgrade by putting a 4GB Ram into my device then my system will become 6GB RAm or else i will Buy 8GB Ram and How much a 4 ,8 GB Ram Will cost?gurrantee /warantee for the product  in years?can we install any other Company RAM other than HP ?Whgich is best Company Ram in Market in Best Price? please give a detailed explaination to the above answers please write answer in a very clear manner Thanks in advance madcoder

A:I want to Extend My RAM TO 8GB

please compare various RAM Companies for Upgrading

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/I-want-to-Extend-My-RAM-TO-8GB/td-p/5633343
Relevancy 36.55%

Running Windows 7, home premier, 64 bit
On all my disk partitions I have this very large file named $Extend\$Usr.lml
What on earth is it? What is it all about, and why is it needed?
When I run Diskeeper, it does not seem to defragment it.
I have seen something similar in Lubix, but windows???

A:Extend???

What is the full path to this file or is this $Extend folder at the root of the C drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend.905573/
Relevancy 36.55%

Does anyone know if there is a way to extend RAM by using a USB memory stick under Windows XP Pro SP2 ?

Tks

T.

Relevancy 36.12%

hi all

after a bit of a slog trying to log on here (had to setup a new user as my old one was not sending password resets) im finally on! phew

anyways im after a bit of advice with regards to extending my wireless range.

currently my setup is as follows

phone line > netgear ADSL2+ wireless router (834gv4 iirc)> eithernet cable to my pc (out of range)

however the other day I came across a netgear DG834GT super wireless adsl router.

does anyone know how I can set the DG834GT to act as a extender or repeater (not sure on the correct terminology here)

all I want to do is extend the signal to the few rooms that dont get it.

thanks

A:How to extend my wireless..?

What you need to do is setup the 2nd router as an access point. You run an ethernet cable from your first router (the one hooked up to the dsl modem) to the 2nd router but before you do thaqt configure the 2nd as an access point.. Also make sure the set it to a different channel and the same SSID. I can not give you specific instructions or even know for sure the the 834GT is capable but that is what you need to extend your range.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-extend-my-wireless.181157/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi.

I want to extend a partition on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit system.

The HDD is at 150Gb. I have it at 2 partitions at the present.

I shrinked the second partition with 10Gb.

How do I extend the first partition C:\ with the 10G's from the second partition D:\

I have attched a view dump from the manage.

TIA

A:Extend a partition ?

Windows native disk management will let you extend a partition only when there is unallocated space IMMEDIATELY to the right of that partition. That is not so in your case, so use partition wizard. Heres a tutorial.

Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/120039-extend-partition.html
Relevancy 36.12%

how to extend C: drive in windows7 without using any third party software

Relevancy 36.12%

I created a partition of 40GB to install windows 8 as a dual boot.

I need to extend this partition as I need more space but the extend button is greyed out.

Is there anyway to get around this?? I have some unallocated space ready but its not working.

Thanks

A:How do I extend my partition In

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image.

This video show the tool which works best to extend partition easily with Partition Wizard - video help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/302206-how-do-i-extend-my-partition.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I previously created a second partitions on my Vista machine to dual boot XP. I was unable to install XP for one reason or another. I am now trying to combine back the two partitions into one. I was able to turn the second partition back into unallocated space, but when I try to extend the Vista partition, the extend volume option is grayed out. Any suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend-partition.650561/
Relevancy 36.12%

There's nothing on D:, but it wont let me delete it. I have 150+ gigs free, but it wont let me put it on C:. I'm trying to do this through "Computer Management", why is this?

A:Can't extend C: cannot delete D:

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image
and we will give you the steps needed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306106-cant-extend-c-cannot-delete-d.html
Relevancy 36.12%

First cant C i extend Why partition?? i have read other threads but i think my problem is diferent or perhaps my english is very awfull its possible I have win ultimate bits Im trying to do with paragon partition manager from program and from cd boot maked from this program This is my start configuration see attached file I obviusly want to extend C partition shrinking D partition I dont want to format or to backup all D partition Fist attemp I shrink d partition getting enough free gigabytes to right of d partition But when i try to expand c partition Why i cant extend C partition?? program doenst quot see quot free space Well i think that to extend c free space must be just right to c not right to d partition but imnot sure of this Second attemp I make a new partition from d i get d and e I make a partition backup from d into the new partition e I erase d in this moment i have a lot of gigabytes free just to the quot right quot of C But again when i try to extend c program doesnt see free space What im making wrong thxs

A:Why i cant extend C partition??

Ogro,

Your attachment is very very difficult for me to read on my laptop.

Try using the Snipping Tool in Win 7.

Also maximize the Disk Management display before "snipping".

Please fill out your system specs.

for the snipping tool,
WIN | type Snipping Tool | ENTER

WIN is the key with the wavy flag on it.

HOW TO FILL OUT YOUR SYSTEM SPECS

In the line at the top of www.SevenForums.com you will see UserCP.
That is an abbreviation for User Control Panel.
Click on UserCP.
In the left-hand column, under Your Profile you will see Edit System Spec.
Click on Edit System Spec
You can copy and paste from the output of Speccy, Speccy - System Information - Free Download to fill out much of the info. Be sure to use the Other Info section of your System Specs for such info as your optical drive, your wireless adapter, your speakers, etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/106083-why-i-cant-extend-c-partition.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi all

I'm trying to extend my OS's partition onto a new hard drive that I've just installed. From what I've read it has to be adjacent in the GUI (meaning on the same drive), so does that mean I can't extend it onto a new disk? Do I have to use third-party software?

Update: Having just learned about Basic and Dynamic disks, it looks like I probably want a striped dynamic disk, but my disks are currently all basic. Would it be possible to change to a dynamic disk without having to reinstall the OS?

Thanks in advance for the help.

A:Extend partition to new HDD

DON'T get involved with dynamic disks at this time.

Do you mean extend a partition ON a new hard drive or extend a partition ONTO a new hard drive from another hard drive?

Repeat: DON'T get involved with dynamic disks at this time.

You can generally extend a partition on a hard drive, but it isn't clear from your post exactly what you want to do.

You may or may not have to use a third party application.

Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management so we can see what is going on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/330371-extend-partition-new-hdd.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I recently made a 20gb partition from the C drive and called it the U drive. I needed another 10gb on U, so I shrunk C 10gb. When I right-click the U drive from Disk Management, "extend volume" is grayed out. Here's what I have now:

DISK: 149.05 GB Online
12.00 GB - Recovery Partition (Don't worry, I know not to touch this)
SYSTEM RESERVED - 102 MB NTFS - Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)
Windows (C) - 106.94 GB NTFS - Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
10.00 GB - Unallocated
Ubuntu (U) - 20.00GB NTFS - Healthy (Logical Drive)

Thanks for any help!

A:HD Partitions don't extend

Windows 7's Disk Management will not let you extend to the left of your U partition, only the right.

You could delete the UBUNTU drive, and then create a new partition, which would include the 10GB you took off C.

Or you could get hold of third-party disk management software that will let you move the U partition, and then extend it or create a new partition on the 10GB unallocated space then merge it with the U partition.

Acronis do trial software if you don't want to spend any money.

BTW, it is always a big help if you post a screenshot of your Disk Management window just in case we're barking up the wrong tree.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/163532-hd-partitions-dont-extend.html
Relevancy 36.12%

So i recently installed windows 7 on to my dell latitude 630 d and I have a TV that connects via VGA cord well it would automatically connect when I was on vista but now it cannot not be found. I checked all my drivers and they are fully up to date but the monitor doesnt show up please send me some instructions

A:extend my monitor

Is there a menu on the TV that would enable the VGA? You might check the Mfg's site if you don't have your manual. Also, if your video card has it's own console, you might check there for settings instead of using the one that comes with the OS. I find the NVidia control panel in the Control Panel, and it has different choices.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend-my-monitor.873382/
Relevancy 36.12%

Help, please! I'd like to extend my warranty which has 1 month left. Can I do that now or, am I too late?

A:I want to extend my Warranty

You need to purchase a CarePack and I think but cannot guarantee because I do not speak for HP that you can do it right up until the original warranty expires. http://cpc.ext.hp.com/portal/site/cpc/;jsessionid=2B31FDEFF83095F8B8A528B5AD831A46.tomcat6-c1t11481?...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/I-want-to-extend-my-Warranty/td-p/5700548
Relevancy 36.12%

how toextend the warranty of acer aspire e5-574g-77rn from 1 year to 3 year

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/how-to-extend-the-warranty/td-p/443986
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello, 
I want to extend partition C , but the extend is not active on right-click menu. what's the trick

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d68e74a4-3156-4c0f-bf14-b85d55e3cff9/cannot-extend-the-partition-c?forum=w8itproperf
Relevancy 36.12%

I have an 80GB drive partitioned as 15Gb to"C" and 65 to "D." The computer was orginally setup like this and the main user has the habit of saving everything on the C Drive. I want to extend the partition so that "C" uses the entire 65GB's. The demo versions of the software packages I have used will not perform this function. Does anyone know a good freeware?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend-patition-in-xp.651430/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello. I'm a New Member on this forum. Nice to Meet U Everyone

I have something to ask about my partition problem here :

That's my partition list, and I want to extend Unallocated drive (that I recently used for Ubuntu) to drive C or D, but I can't do that because I can't click "Extend Volume" at drive D.

Any ideas ? what I supposed to do ?

Thanks.

A:Can't Extend Volume

Minitool partition wizard will solve your problems and its free.
You'll probably need to move the empty space next to the partition you want to expand it to.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/36668-cant-extend-volume.html
Relevancy 36.12%

How can I extend warranty of my HP notebook.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Extend warranty

Dear Customer, Sorry, but this is just a community self-help forum staffed by volunteers. HP maintains no official presence here and we are not authorized to deal with warranty issue.For that, you will need to contact HP Customer Support directly.If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.htmlNOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!---------------------------------------However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.--------------------------------------- Good Luck  Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again  **Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem. Thank You,GBL84I am not an HP Employee

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Extend-warranty/td-p/5821345
Relevancy 36.12%

When I defrag this won't defrag right, and it's on my hard drive. Should I worry?
Is this something that needs fixing?
Is someone watching me?
Thanks
Silverado

Relevancy 36.12%

Hi all, when I last installed Win XP Pro on a new Hard Drive, I partitioned about 10gb (C Drive) just for the Windows files etc. Recently I have been getting messages about low disk space on C drive and even when I clean this up I only have about 600mb of free space. I have moved all "My Documents" and other files to the other partition but still cannot free up enough space.

Any suggestions please?

Relevancy 36.12%

i need to add more space to my OS partition but it wont let me extend even though i have 80gb unallocated as seen in the screenshot below.

How can i fix that?

Relevancy 36.12%

I am trying to extend my desktop onto a second monitor. I want to use the screen on the actual laptop as the primary display. I was able to do this previously, however I had to do a clean install of Windows 7 and I cannot get it to work anymore. I go into the resolution in the control pannel and it does not detect the monitor. I have tried plugging it in several times (VGA) to get it to do something, which it did not. Any suggestions?

A:Extend Desktop

Did you install video card drivers?

~Lordbob

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/118214-extend-desktop.html
Relevancy 36.12%

How do I fix an 'extend.dat' error that has suddenly occurred when I try to open Outlook 2003 on xpsp2 notebook?
I have checked device manager processes and don't see anything unusual there?
I am the administrator and don't understand why this has occurred?
I don't know what file it is nor what causes an 'extend.dat' error.
I look forward to suggestions, thank you.

A:extend dat. error?

I found the fix. My Computer>finding the extend.dat file and press delete and Reboot.
Error disappeared.
Thought that I should post this.
Have a good day. xpsp2

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/292594/extend-dat-error/
Relevancy 36.12%

I have a Drobo system with 16 TB of hard disk. Windows has it allocated as a 2 TB and a 14 TB for some reason. I formatted the 2 TB as seen in the first screenshot. I then Right click in the computer management window and click on Extend Volume. This is seen in the second screenshot. I then click Finish and get the message seen in the last screenshot.. I know that a 16 TB disk is OK since I have had it before. What is going on here and how do I extend the volume?

A:Can't extend volume

To use the entire size contiguously, you must configure the drive as GPT not MBR.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/351539-cant-extend-volume.html
Relevancy 36.12%

hallo! i'm sure, there are lot of solutions for my problem, but i can't find the right one, so i will ask again. i shrimped c disk and gained almost 100Gb, that i want to move to d disk, but disk management wizard don't allow me to do this. i can shrink partition d, but can't extend (it's gray and unclickable). what i have to do?

A:can't extend partition d

Hello pavlix and welcome to Seven Forums.

The Disk Managment wizard is limited in what it can do. It might be easier to use the free MiniTool Partition Wizard. They have an option to "extend partition" that works quite well regardless of where the unallocated space is located in relation to the target partition

MiniTool Partition Wizard

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/266095-cant-extend-partition-d.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I am running a Win 7 64-bit machine with an extra HD (F: in my screenshot). I have been reading and found the help I needed to delete an added partition and extend it to my D drive but my C is in the red.

My son is usually my personal geek but he is deployed and can't help me. I am totally paranoid about using command line so if there is another solution then that would be my first preference.

I have downloaded the Partition Wizard but wanted a bit of direction before I go off and tear something up.

Thank you in advance,

A

A:Need to Extend C Drive

Did you download the bootable version from the bottom of this link?

Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online

If it's D that you want to delete, you are going to have to find some other place to put the data on it temporarily.

Looks like D has over 200 GB of data. Where can you put that temporarily? Won't fit on F?

Or do you want to delete some other partition?

You can't extend C onto F.

You can move space from D to C, but D would remain, albeit smaller.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/248516-need-extend-c-drive.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I want to combine some unallocated space with a partition, but it wont let me, but it will let me with a different one.

A:cant extend volume

I take it you are trying to extend D:\?

You can only extend from left to right using W7's software.
You will have to use 3rd party software like Partition Wizard - Best Free Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.
Dan

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/154202-cant-extend-volume.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I purchased a laptop with 256 GB SSD and 1 TB Hard Drive. The free space in C: is nearly full after I installed a couple of heavy programs. Now traditionally I would extend the system partition C: in Disk Management under Device Management. But I can not do it currenty. Is it because the two are separate physical Hard drives?
What Can I do now to have more space in C:

A:Can I extend my SSD C Drive?

I'm afraid you can't.
Either partition the 1TB drive and use solely for programs or install programs on the 1TB drive directly without any partitioning.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/441456-can-i-extend-my-ssd-c-drive.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi All,
Just been reading the Outlook Contacts thread and it reminded me that I have a long outstanding query someone could maybe clear up.

I backup my .pst file with my regular backups, in my case it's in my Outlook flr.

But what is the Extend.dat file that's there also?

thanks
Hew

Later: this is what I found:
The Extend.dat file is a binary file that caches registry entries for third-party product extensions.

More important, it doesn't need to be backed up because if you rename or delete it, it will be recreated the next time Outlook starts.

I'll leave this thread here in case anybody else searches for Extend.Dat

Hew

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-extend-dat.372520/
Relevancy 36.12%

My laptop has VGA and HDMI
I normally use VGA to output to a second monitor

A lighting bolt just struck me: use the HDMI as well!

Can I use both together?

I can't think why not

Thanks
OM

Relevancy 36.12%

i had 3 partitions on my HDD. i backed them up and deleted them to make room for a custom partition. when i finished deleting them the disk management said i had 2 unallocated partitions. i checked in disk part and it showed only my "main" vista partition existed. my vista partition is "partition 2" and i was able to extend it into "partition 3" (one of the unallocated partitions) via disk management, but i cant add "partition 1" (also an unallocated partition) to my main partition. phew! i hope that doesnt confuse anyone! any idea guys? or girls?

specs:
Toshiba Satellite P-350D S8900
Vista Home Premium 64bit
320GB HDD

A:How to extend partition?

Originally Posted by GRock

i had 3 partitions on my HDD. i backed them up and deleted them to make room for a custom partition. when i finished deleting them the disk management said i had 2 unallocated partitions. i checked in disk part and it showed only my "main" vista partition existed. my vista partition is "partition 2" and i was able to extend it into "partition 3" (one of the unallocated partitions) via disk management, but i cant add "partition 1" (also an unallocated partition) to my main partition. phew! i hope that doesnt confuse anyone! any idea guys? or girls?

specs:
Toshiba Satellite P-350D S8900
Vista Home Premium 64bit
320GB HDD

3rd party app like perfectdisk 10, or paragon drive backup, will do it easily

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/246856-how-extend-partition.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I think that I will need a female to female adapter to extend it, right?
I can't find any online... any suggestions?

A:need to extend my a/v cable

Look more carefully?

Also, how about another plain female-to-male cable?

Mind you, the longer the cable, the bigger the loss in quality (unless you have a digital setup) and the less joints in between, the better.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-extend-my-a-v-cable.66096/
Relevancy 36.12%
Relevancy 36.12%

I am using Vista x64 with a 3ware 9650SE raid controller as a redundant raid5 data drive. I added a 4th 1TB harddrive, and I am trying to extend the volume to merge with the new space currently available. I can't seem to do that though because "Extend Volume" is greyed out, and I can't figure out what is wrong. Can anyone please tell me how to fix this? Attached are screenshots that may help.

A:Cannot extend volume

Hi craziplaya21 and welcome to Vista Forums

Sorry, but that cannot be done without erasing and rebuilding the array. This article explains RAID and the different arrays available. RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/251798-cannot-extend-volume.html
Relevancy 36.12%

I'd like to increase the capacity of my C drive which contains the operating system (142GB; 39% free space) by either deleting or shrinking my D drive which is empty (143GB, 100% free space).

I've read several post from users who found that the 'extend volume' option is greyed out and found that this is the case on my laptop.

I have yet to delete or shrink the D drive so there is currently no unassigned space on the disk.

Attached is a screen print of the Computer Management window showing the current situation.

What is my best laid plan?

Regards,

Andrew Baxter.

A:Extend volume

Have you had a look in the tutorial part of the site to see if there is anything there that can help?

My thoughts would be that you would have to go into the D partition and delete it which would put it as unallocated space, then you should be able to extend the C partition into that space.

Hopefully the experts will see this post and give you all the information you need and say if I got it right or wrong

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/265368-extend-volume.html
Relevancy 36.12%

i have a dell optiplex 5040 i have two dell monitors i want to set up and use one as en extended desktop, i connected vid HDMI and the dvi SLOT on same card but it just gives me two desktops, no option to extend display any ideas? or is this card just not capable of it if so should i add new dvi card?

A:extend display

With all of your programs closed right click on an empty area on your desktop, and then click Screen Resolution.

Click on the Multiple Displays drop-down list, and then select Extend These Displays.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628441/extend-display/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello all,

I am having a problem that I hope someone here can help me with. I had to recently replace the hard drive in my laptop with a larger one (the old one was 30gb, the new one is 250gb). I managed to do that successfully (surprising to me as I am not tech savvy), yet when I go into disk management, I cannot extend C drive, as it isn't contiguous with the unallocated space. At the moment, my partitions look like this:

|C: 29.35gb|E: HP Recovery 6.36gb|F: OS Tools 1.55gb|Unallocated Space 260.82gb|

With the above scenario, the extend volume option is greyed out on drive C, so how do I go about getting around that?

Thank you in advance for your help here.

Oh, and I'm running Windows Vista Home Edition 32bit if that helps.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/296475-cannot-extend-drive-c.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Upon opening Outlook 2007, I received the following error - "Cannot open file extend.dat." Apparently, one solutioins is to change that file to extend.old. When I tried that fix I received another message that I didn't have the proper administrative authority. I am the Administrator and no one else uses my computer. Why can't I change this folder. BTW, after restarting my computer yet again, the first error message was gone. What gives?

Thanks.

PRS

A:Cannot Open Extend.dat

Hi, there are a couple of things you can try:

Take Ownership of that file, a tutorial on how to do so is at Take Ownership of file - Vista Forums.

Do a System Restore, the tutorial can be found at System Restore - Windows 7 Forums.

These should be a good place to start.

Oli

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/80039-cannot-open-extend-dat.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hey guys,

Im looking for a program to extend a partition using free space I have. I used to use a program by Paragon Software on Vista but im not sure if it would work with 7. I dont really wanna risk it considering the drive I want to extend has all my valuable data on so I dont want it to go wrong. It also use to take a really long time.

Does anyone know any other programs which definitely work with 7 and is pretty quick?
Im also running 64-bit if that helps.
Thanks in advance.

A:Extend a partition

Quote: Originally Posted by Exodus

Hey guys,

Im looking for a program to extend a partition using free space I have. I used to use a program by Paragon Software on Vista but im not sure if it would work with 7. I dont really wanna risk it considering the drive I want to extend has all my valuable data on so I dont want it to go wrong. It also use to take a really long time.

Does anyone know any other programs which definitely work with 7 and is pretty quick?
Im also running 64-bit if that helps.
Thanks in advance.

Hey Exodus

Parigon Disk Suite 2009 is pretty bullet proof. Im not sure they have a 64 bit version but you could check. If you are worried why not back up before.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/18850-extend-partition.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi, Recently i purchased HP-15be0005TU laptop from Flipkart couple of weeks back. Now i am planning to extend the RAm but i am unable to do that, Please let me know how can i do that. My minimum requirement for the software is 8GB RaM. Thanks,Prashanth

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Unable-to-extend-the-RAM/td-p/5826606
Relevancy 36.12%

I need to extend the data range of a collection of embedded charts on a worksheet. I saw the Extend method, but I really want this procedure to extend the series based on it's current source data values. I'm adding a new row of data each week, so I need each chart to extend it's data source by +1 row. I could not find a good example that used the existing range + 1 row.

Any help is appreciated.

Sub UpdateChartData()

Dim ChtObj As ChartObject

For Each ChtObj In ActiveSheet.ChartObjects
ChtObj.Chart.SeriesCollection.Extend Source:=Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A6:C6")
Next ChtObj

End Sub

A:Extend a set of charts...

Welcome to the board. Which version of which program are you using?

In Excel, this can be done without VBA by naming the source data range using a dynamic formula. Whether this method would suit depends on how you're set up so far.

Download & open the attached file. Press F5, type:

Data

, press Enter. Note the range selected.

Enter 7 in B5 to see the chart expand. Do the F5-thing again.

Click on a column in the chart & note the formula bar, =SERIES(,,DynaChart.xls!Data,1)

To see the formula that defines the range "Data", go Insert -- Name -- Define.

HTH,
Andy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/extend-a-set-of-charts.361494/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi, I have a D-link Wirless G router DIR-300 in my appartment, I need to use it 2 floors upstairs with my laptop, I've tried but I cannot get the signal enough and the navigation is not possible, sometimes it gets a low signal and let me see one or 2 page, then it disappear. I'm not expert about this, I've red on the internet I need an Access point, maybe I can put it in the middle floor, this is possible for me. Someone knows if the Access point is the right way and can suggest 1 low price model. many thanks