Windows Support Forum

How do you access "Program Files" folder on a network?

Q: How do you access "Program Files" folder on a network?

My network has 2 PC's, one of which had XP installed when purchased. The other had Windows 98, and has been recently upgraded to XP. I want to be able to access any file from either machine. On the PC that was upgraded from Win 98, I have set Drive C to be shared. The other PC can access any file, including those in the Program Files folder. It can, for example, run PaintShop Pro across the network, even though it's not installed on that machine.

I have set Drive C on the other PC to be shared, but I cannot access its Program Files folder from the (former) Win 98 PC. I get "Access Denied" messages.

Does anyone know how to allow complete sharing of all files?

Thanks
FireFlySydney

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How do you access "Program Files" folder on a network?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How do you access "Program Files" folder on a network?

You need to set both share permissions and the file permissions on disk.

No need to specifically share the drives BTW. Windows automatically enables administrative shares in the form of c$ d$ etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-you-access-program-files-folder-on-a-network.37363/
Relevancy 87.42%

Code Destination Folder Access Denied ------------------------------------ You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy to this folder lt Folder Sub-Folder Name gt Date created lt Creation Date gt ------------------------------------ Continue Skip Cancel I get this dialog files whenever I try to modify copy delete or edit contents modifying folder when Access Program "Destination Folder Denied" Files of the quot C Program Files quot folder or its sub folders When I click the Continue button everything goes on fine without any problem Some programs give write errors when I try to modify a file inside Program Files with them e g Notepad gives write error when I try to edit a text file inside one of "Destination Folder Access Denied" when modifying Program Files folder the sub-folders of the Program Files folder I'm the only user on this computer and I'm already the administrator who installed this Windows There is no other OS installed on this machine This problem has been occurring for a long time At first I ignored it but later it started to became bothersome I don't remember how have it started or what had I done before it first appeared What can I do to stop Windows showing me this dialog box I want to freely modify contents of any directory in my computer This is a home computer I have no social privacy concerns OS Windows Ultimate x SP Up-to-date

A:"Destination Folder Access Denied" when modifying Program Files folder

You could try disabling UAC.

User Account Control - UAC - Change Notification Settings

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/278361-destination-folder-access-denied-when-modifying-program-files-folder.html
Relevancy 111.37%

Okay, so apparently my "Programmer" folder on C:\ changed to "Program Files". I live in Denmark, so the system is danish. The folder "Program Files" used to be named "Programmer", but somehow it changed to "Program files". It is weird, becuase that my other x86 folder is still named "Programmer (86)". It's kinda annoying, please help me somebody!!!
Can anybody give me some tips and tricks, on how to rename it back?

I would be really happy!

THANKS!!!

A:The folder "Programmer" changed to "Program Files" HELP!!!

When i click "Rename" and i rename the folder to "Programmer", the folder automaticly renmaes itself to "Program Files"!!!
HEEELP

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/49521-folder-programmer-changed-program-files-help.html
Relevancy 102.34%

hey guys how can i fully open share my "Program Files(x86)" on the other network computer? i set-up the advance sharing to everyone with full control,change,and read, but still when i paste some file using network it saying that i need to be Administrator to do that action

A:fully control/share "Program Files(x86)" folder

Quote: Originally Posted by kentucky777

hey guys how can i fully open share my "Program Files(x86)" on the other network computer? i set-up the advance sharing to everyone with full control,change,and read, but still when i paste some file using network it saying that i need to be Administrator to do that action

You do need to be admin on both (and yes they are different). You also should not be in Program Files as that is solely for legacy for 32 bit apps, shouldnt be anything there that you need to change.
Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/130381-fully-control-share-program-files-x86-folder.html
Relevancy 102.34%

This all started when I recently had some malwares viruses roaming around my laptop one day I had managed to get rid of it Taking does nothing Inaccessible, Files" "Program Folder ownership all but it left my Direct Console useless I have an ASUS G- V Vista Premium -bit I've tried reinstalling it and it just wouldn't load no error message or anything it did show up on taskmanager "Program Files" Folder Inaccessible, Taking ownership does nothing but "Program Files" Folder Inaccessible, Taking ownership does nothing no window appeared So trying to find a solution on google I ended up installing net Framework However after restarting i started getting a ton of error messages about files in the Program Files folder and then I realized it had just completely disappeared rather all the files inside disappeared First the error messages said the folder was quot corrupt and unreadable quot I navigated to the folder and tried clicking it which then another error message popped up saying quot Access is denied quot I tried almost every solution I found on google changing ownership and such but "Program Files" Folder Inaccessible, Taking ownership does nothing I still cannot open the folder Moreover I cannot repair or uninstall any program that is or has been in the Program Files which I'm assuming has to do with the permission issues I noticed this when I ran the setup for Direct Console and tried to repair it only giving me an error saying quot The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify this file C Program Files x ASUS OvClk dll quot But this also makes no sense to me as this is the x program files folder which I can access I checked both of the folders and TrustedInstaller has ownership to both of them Edit - I just checked the ASUS folder inside my Program Files x where the only group assigned to it for security is quot Everyone quot and it had no access whatsoever I would like to know if there is any possible way to fix this and if the files inside the folder are still there as this is very frustrating to deal with Most of my ASUS programs were in the Program Files including the hotkey manager is really useful to me Thanks a lot In case you need to know As for the what I did to deal with malwares and viruses I mentioned before I did install Malwarebytes on another computer with updated definitions and loaded it on a flash drive here removing whatever malwares it found Even after this though and this has been a consistent problem mbam exe would disappear after installing Malwarebytes regularly on my own laptop Thinking there was some virus or other malware laying around that it didn't pick up I downloaded and installed AVG I updated it and full scanned which found more viruses and did fix the issue of mbam exe disappearing after install At this point I installed Malwarebytes again updated and scanned again finding or trojans and I think at this point there shouldn't be any viruses malwares causing issues but of course I could be wrong

Relevancy 102.34%

I got a message from Symantec Anti Virus a couple days ago when I was on a veteran job board about to post a resume It said it was blocking some suspicious activity Shortly after that I noticed when I did a google search for about anything the links were not going to what I was selecting I also noticed a lot of folder Program Hijacker Files "LP" keep Browswer / reappearing... strange processes running in task manager I went to msconfig and deleted the startup processes and there was a folder named quot LP quot in program files that was not previously there I deleted it but it keeps regenerating when I reboot The cryptic processes seem to have stopped for the time being but I am still getting the browser hijacks at random times Other issues have been strange Internet Explorer messages when I am not even using Internet Explorer it changed my Browswer Hijacker / Program Files "LP" folder keep reappearing... Firefox and IE settings to use a proxy server and a couple of random pop up windows Symantec has Browswer Hijacker / Program Files "LP" folder keep reappearing... something in quarantine called Trojan FakeAV with an exe file named exe Here is a copy of Browswer Hijacker / Program Files "LP" folder keep reappearing... my HijackThis log file Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Symantec Symantec Endpoint Protection Smc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Intel WirelessCommon RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec Symantec Endpoint Protection Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Symantec Symantec Endpoint Protection SmcGui exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Documents and Settings xxx Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http F - REG system ini UserInit C WINDOWS system userinit exe O - BHO HP Print Enhancer - C E- - -BF - C - C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Documents and Settings All Users Application Data Real RealPlayer BrowserRecordPlugin IE rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO URLRedirectionBHO - B F A - E - -BA - B E FF - C PROGRA MICROS Office URLREDIR DLL O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - BHO HP Smart BHO Class - FFFFFFFF-CF E- F B-BDC - E E A - C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp BHO dll O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Software Policies Microsoft Internet Explore... Read more

A:Browswer Hijacker / Program Files "LP" folder keep reappearing...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/browswer-hijacker-program-files-lp-folder-keep-reappearing.1026237/
Relevancy 101.91%

Hey, for some reason I can't find my "Program Files (x86) folder on my main SSD (C. I don't know why it is gone or of it has changed location, I just want it back! It have been gone for some months now and I havent really cared so much about it, but know I begins to get tiny with space so I wanna access that folder to see what kind of files and programs I have on the SSD. Would be fine if someone have any ideas or know where it could have found the way. Thanks, Christian :u p:

Relevancy 101.91%

A file I just noticed in my Program Files folder is called quot CUSTDATA INI quot and says it is a quot Configurations settings quot file bytes my folder "CUSTDATA.INI" Files Program in file It was installed a month ago Several days previoulsy I had purchased a CD Label-making program online It came with a quot free-with-purchase quot extra program which organizes your photos so you can copy them to CDs in a more organized way A few days later I installed that photo-organizing program The CUSTDATA INI file was created two minutes "CUSTDATA.INI" file in my Program Files folder after I installed the bonus photo-organizing program So I think it has something to do with that but don t know what I ve never seen such a file created after installing software In case you re interested this is the program I bought and if you scroll down you can see where it says quot BUY NOW and receive Photos Forever FREE http www acoustica com cd-label-maker I love the label-maker program BTW "CUSTDATA.INI" file in my Program Files folder - and the photos program looks pretty decent too if I ever wanted to do that I haven t used it Because of the times and dates it just seems like that s the only thing that could be associated with that CUSTDATA ini file It wasn t freeware it was paid for it as part of their special offer bundle so I wouldn t expect any tricks It might not have anything to do with the INI file it s just the corresponding dates and times of installation What is in such a file And OK to delete It s presumably just text but I didn t open it to see nbsp

A:"CUSTDATA.INI" file in my Program Files folder

.ini files are quite common and quite harmless. Every folder on your computer contains a hidden file called desktop.ini which contains at least information on the icon you have selected (or the default) for that folder. If you do a search on your computer to include hidden files you will probably come up with over a thousand of them. So, .ini files contain information usually about your preferences for the program or its interface. You can double-click on this file and it will open in Notepad. The file should normally be in the program's folder. If it's "hanging loose" by itself in the Program Files folder this is the result of sloppy programming by the program's author. If it is, and you don't want to see it, you can right-click on it and mark it as 'Hidden' in 'Properties'.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/custdata-ini-file-in-my-program-files-folder.419853/
Relevancy 101.91%

Ok, I have some issues with Windows 7 security features.

Several of the programs I have, including, World of Warcraft, write configuration to files in the program folder. Windows 7 is preventing these changes. Reconfiguring 14 add-ons and graphics settings, for one thing alone, get's kinda annoying. I have several other programs that need to be able to write to the configuration files, from .DAT to .BIN files and everything in between, and this is a major inconvenience.

Anyone know how to turn off this security on the two folders, "Program Files" and "Program Files(x86)"? I've only noticed it in the x86 folder, but I can only assume that it will also happen in the normal folder.

Relevancy 101.48%

I have a program that uses it's own library. The path to this library can't be changed, and it's inside the "Program Files" folder. And the software itself has to be installed inside "Program Files" too, otherwise it won't work correctly (it's a new release and still a bit buggy).

Now, when I add something to this library, it's supposed to be present in the library folder. BUT Win 7 doesn't show me any files that have been created by programs inside the "Program Files" folder. The folder where the new library is supposed to be is empty. But the library is there inside the program, so it has to be somewhere.

Now, how am I supposed to backup those files if I can't access them?

Please help!

A:How to display files inside "Program Files" folder?

The program you are using is broken. You should ask the developer to fix it.
In reality the program is really accessing the file in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/102099-how-display-files-inside-program-files-folder.html
Relevancy 100.19%

I used to be able to open Command Prompt and use commands like "attrib", "comp", and others while in any folder.

For some reason, now I have to go into the SYSTEM32 folder to access them.

What code am I supposed to add to get things back to the way that they used to be?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dos-prompt-no-longer-able-to-access-system32-files-from-any-folder-320219.html
Relevancy 100.19%

Hi,

I have several icons/files from my "User" folder showing up in the "Computer" folder (several in duplicate), PLUS numerous blank icons...

This seems to have occurred after the Common Files folder became corrupted, after I somewhat riskily decided to power off while Vista was attempting to come out of Sleep mode - it had already taken about 3 mins and I was in a hurry - bad move, I know. That delay appears to have been due to an old version of Online Armor, and has now been fixed (by an update). Chkdsk scanned and (apparently) corrected some errors, and I also ran SFC which said it had corrected some errors but had also found some that it couldn't correct. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Icons/Files from "User" folder showing up in "Computer" folder

Hello Aster, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened may be able to fix it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261502-icons-files-user-folder-showing-up-computer-folder.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Subject Cannot access NAS Drives Cannot access network attached storage Error accessing NAS Share Folder is not accessible Error code X The network path was not found "Error - Cannot Fix network is 0x80070035 NAS \\Share\Folder Drives, code: was accessible The found" access or not path for not Hi all I fixed a stubborn networking issue and hopefully someone else can benefit from all the frustration I have experienced over the last few days Some background This was a workgroup network not a domain client server nbsp Also Windows HomeGroup wizards were not used - just accounts and passwords nbsp I have five NAS boxes for storage and backup These NAS boxes use CIFS or SMB file systems IP address are assigned through DHCP It is a very simple yet secure Fix for - Cannot access NAS Drives, \\Share\Folder is not accessible or "Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found" nbsp workgroup net nbsp Everything was OK then it hit the fan I installed a new router after the old one failed I powered down Fix for - Cannot access NAS Drives, \\Share\Folder is not accessible or "Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found" the entire network cabled up and configured the new router On my old Vista notebook PC all five NAS devices were OK In Vista Windows Explorer I could Fix for - Cannot access NAS Drives, \\Share\Folder is not accessible or "Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found" access all the folders and files on all the NAS boxes However on all the other systems Windows or Windows I would get errors In Windows Explorer I could see quot MyNAS Share quot but cannot navigate to it nbsp I would get an error quot MyNAS Share is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource The specified network name is no longer available quot Or quot Error code x The network path was not found quot Another symptom of the error I could not access the NAS admin pages through Internet Explorer on the Win or systems I spent days trying all the fixes proposed in ALL the online search results including many and various registry hacks security policy changes Windows Credential Manager changes anti-virus and firewall removal clearing and reregistering DHCP and DNS caches Router and NAS reconfiguration and permissions updating drivers and firmware various command line tools such as ipconfig netsh hosts file modifications reinstalling the TCP-IP stack etc etc and ad-nauseam The most popular suggestion by far was Network security LAN Manager authentication level - change the authentication level to Send LM amp NTLM - use NTLMv session security if negotiated or the corresponding Registry Hack None of it worked nbsp After much trial and error finally the only thing that worked for my situation Network and Sharing Center - Change Advanced Sharing Settings Turn everything to OFF on all profiles and options - Save changes and close Then Device Manager - Network Adapters - Uninstall Ethernet and Wireless adapters - Action Scan for Hardware Changes to reinstall these devices and close Device Manger Then Network and Sharing Center - Change Advanced Sharing Settings - Turn everything to ON for all profiles and options - Save changes and close NAS shares now work properly and I can access the NAS admin configuration pages Now you can restrict some access by setting some of the Advanced sharing settings So simple and easy after all Good Luck mdd

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/17c9ea7d-52df-4ef9-95fa-0a961d11bfa3/fix-for-cannot-access-nas-drives-sharefolder-is-not-accessible-or-quoterror-code?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 99.33%

Whats going on? Everything time I try to extract the RAR to a folder in "Program Files" it says Access Denied and fails to copy...

A:Trying to Extract files to "Program Files" says Access Denied.

As a standard user you don't have access to that folder. You must the RAR extractor as an adminstrator.

When you go to start the RAR extraction, right click on it and select "Run as administrator"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/trying-to-extract-files-to-program-files-says-access-denied-452842.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I have been having problems with Norton Anti-Virus and Firewall lately Occasionally when XP to access XP Connections" "Network No folder starts up anti-virus and firewall come up as disabled No access to XP "Network Connections" folder and sit there for about a minute before becoming enabled on their own However this afternoon when I went to startup again they never enabled and just sat there disabled I manually went into Anti-Virus and to take a look and everything was turned off I tried turning my protection on and the program froze I uninstalled both programs and reinstalled and still had the same problem When I installed I tried connecting to the internet to run live update it was then that I realized I couldn t enable my LAN I tried to go through quot network connections quot to do it the old fashioned way and that s when I realized I could see my quot network connections quot folder but could not access it No matter if I went through quot Control Panel or under quot Accessories quot and quot Communications quot I could no longer access it I then tried starting my computer in safe mode with network when I accessed my quot Network Connections quot all that was there was my LAN connection I should have a DSL connection and dial-up connections I was able to enable it but when I tried double clicking on my DSL connection on my desktop nothing happened again Everything else I can access on my computer but I am unable to get on the internet since I cannot access quot Network Connections quot and when trying my internet connections on my desktop there is no response Any help would be greatly appreciated Don t want to have to format nbsp

A:No access to XP "Network Connections" folder

Just a shot in the dark, how about trying a system restore to an point when everything was ok?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-access-to-xp-network-connections-folder.280148/
Relevancy 99.33%

I added a slave drive to my Windows XP Pro computer and it appears to work properly However when I open the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive E which is Windows XP Home Edition Slave Folder Settings" Solved: drive Denied" "Access and on "Documents -- not XP Pro I do not see any of my documents sub-folders etc There should be MANY sub-folders inside the quot My Documents quot folder which isn t even visible with hundreds of documents jpgs etc Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder within it When that drive is installed as the Primary drive in my other computer the User quot Larry Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder quot which is me has all Administrative privileges On the computer that I m running now with the slave drive in it I also have Administrator privileges I own both computers My User Name quot Larry quot is password-protected when I login to Windows when the drive is Primary and installed into my main computer not this computer with XP Pro I ve tried clicking on all the users Administrator Default User Larry Guest etc Note I get an quot Access Denied quot error when clicking on the Guest quot Documents and Settings quot folder So the questions are Why can t I see any files or subdirectories in the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive There s supposed to be a folder named quot My Documents quot but I can t find it Normally that path is quot C Documents and Settings My Documents quot --- Where is that folder It contains all the files I m looking for Do I have to put the drive back into the other computer and then change something before putting it into this computer or can I change something in this computer to access the folders I m really confused Old Fart Larry nbsp

A:Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder

Follow the directions here to take ownership of a file or folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-access-denied-on-documents-and-settings-folder.935997/
Relevancy 99.33%

I'd like to find a prog that would inform me when someone accesses or copies data on my computer from the LAN or WAN. Like a popup window that says "Computer X on your network is accessing files on your hard drive".

Exists in reality or dreamland?

A:Looking for a "network access sentry" program

Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen

I'd like to find a prog that would inform me when someone accesses or copies data on my computer from the LAN or WAN. Like a popup window that says "Computer X on your network is accessing files on your hard drive".

Exists in reality or dreamland?

Um, software firewall? will tell you whenever, and prevent them unless you allow it

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/94821-looking-network-access-sentry-program.html
Relevancy 98.9%

The subject message pops up any time I attempt to open my IE8 browser using Windows XP and set to my home page "ATT.Yahoo". When I click "OK" in the message, IE closes and tries to recover, but with the same results each time. I know
there is a method to reset IE9, but can't tell if it also pertains to IE8 since it can't be opened.

A:"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" "Runtime Error! Program: C:Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Hi,
the first step in troubleshooting IE issues is to test in noAddons Mode.
toolbars.google.com - download and install the latest IE compatible version of the Google Toolbar.
for consumer help with IE select the Help>Online Support menu from IE and follow the prompts for your windows and IE versions. thx.Rob^_^

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/809daad7-a7a3-4520-9af0-959d69ac8cb8/quotmicrosoft-visual-c-runtime-libraryquot-quotruntime-error-program-cprogram?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 98.04%

I have a home network with 4 computers. You know how when you browsing through other computers in "My Network Places" we can't get into program files or windows. Is there a way so i can get into those folders?

A:Entering "program files" in network

Youve probably done this but by shring the files on each machine i.e. in C: Program Files right click > Properties > Sharing & Security, then when you naviagate to these files they will be available

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/entering-program-files-in-network.336075/
Relevancy 97.61%

I'm an old disabled guy scraping by on Social Security so I rely on hand-me-down hardware and access do network: Win not to 7/XP folder...." have "You the software donated to me by family friends acquaintances and total strangers Up until last year I relied on an old workhorse of a Micron Millennia PC running Windows Win 7/XP network: "You do not have access to the folder...." K Pro I had it hooked up on a wired Microsoft Windows Network to a motley collection of hand-me-down laptops and PCs all running Windows XP It took me some fiddling to get the Win K and XP machines to play well together Win 7/XP network: "You do not have access to the folder...." on the network but once I got them to get along with each other the network behaved as if it were one single virtual machine with multiple drives and desktops Then last summer my cousin gave me an old PC running Windows that his housemate had refurbished as a gift to me His housemate is named Bob so I named the quot new quot PC quot Bob quot on my network The old Micron was starting to fail so I decided to press the quot new quot Win PC into service to replace it It's been nearly a year since I received that PC and to this day I still can't get it working on my network So I'm hoping to find here some clear and easy to follow instructions for allowing my XP computers to access files on the Win machine and to save files to the Win machine from my XP machines Here's an example of the kind of problem that drives me crazy I should let you know that due to a circulation disorder that prevents me from sitting up for more than a few minutes at a time I need to work in bed on a failing laptop running Win XP So I want to be able to save all my work from my XP laptop to the quot new quot PC which is running Windows However when I try to save a file the laptop running XP I get this error message quot You do not have access to the folder ' Bob Desktop on Bob' See your administrator for access to this folder quot But I am the administrator I've tried to look at the desktop folder properties on the Win PC under Documents and Settings but when I click on Documents and Settings I get an error message denying me access even though I'm logged in as administrator I'm thinking of reformatting the hard drive on this PC and then installing Windows XP instead of Windows But before I do that I'm wondering if any of you here can help me figure out why I'm not able to save files from my XP laptop to the PC running Win And why I logged in as administrator am unable to access the Documents and Settings folder on the PC running Win Will in Seattle a k a quot Clueless quot

A:Win 7/XP network: "You do not have access to the folder...."

A few things that have changed from XP since Vista and later:

XP and earlier the default workgroup name was MSHOME. Vista and later it is WORKGROUP.
If you haven't done so already I would change the W7 workgroup name to match.

XP the Administrator account was really the admin account. On Vista and later the account you make during install is in the Administrators Group, but it is not the same as the true built in Administrator account. See tutorials section for how to enable and disable the true Admin account.

In XP user data was in Documents and Settings. Vista and later it is in C:\Users\username.

In Vista and later if you tell the wizard the network is a Public network, it thinks you are talking about a kiosk machine and locks everything down. So to share files and printers without passwords you must tell it the network is a private network.

Also Windows 7 is more finicky about file ownership permissions. I use Autohotkey which installs the user written scripts as a subfolder of Program Files. Windows 7 doesn't like programs writing inside their own folder under Program Files. So I've had to take ownership of the entire Program Files folder tree to avoid running everything as administrator.

If you post your settings for the categories listed then perhaps I and others can help you determine the cause of the file sharing hassles. It's a starting point at least.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/338777-win-7-xp-network-you-do-not-have-access-folder.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Computer infected with quot Phoenix Toolkit Website quot rootkit trojan virus identified by both Norton Anti-Virus and Webroot SecureAnywhere Although the computer is having no symptoms of spyware besides the search engine highjacking that no longer occurs messages of blocked threats continuously pop up from Norton Anti-Virus Windows Ultimate Intel i CPU GB DDR Logfile of named in Undeletable "LP" and Files/Rootkit. "73949" Program folders Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes Undeletable folders named "LP" and "73949" in Program Files/Rootkit. C Program Files x Norton AntiVirus Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files x Ralink Common RaUI exe C Program Files x iMesh Applications MediaBar Datamngr datamngrUI exe C Program Files x LP C exe C Program Files x Real RealPlayer Update realsched exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files x lvvm exe C Program Files x BitTorrent BitTorrent exe C Program Files Webroot WRSA exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer Undeletable folders named "LP" and "73949" in Program Files/Rootkit. iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Norton AntiVirus Engine MCUI EXE C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Users Zohair Razvi AppData Local Microsoft Windows Temporary Internet Files Content IE HOUF NM HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - Default URLSearchHook is missing F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - Hosts www precisionmanuals com O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Wincore Mediabar - -e f - ed - c- e af a a - C PROGRA IMESHA MediaBar Datamngr ToolBar wincoreimdtx dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C ProgramData Real RealPlayer BrowserRecordPlugin IE rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO Symantec Intrusion Prevention - D EC - AAE- -AEEE-F F C - C Program Files x Norton AntiVirus Engine IPSBHO DLL O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Windows Live Messenger Companion Helper - FDDE B- F- -AB F- CBEFF - C Program Files x Windows Live Companion companioncore dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - BHO URLRedirectionBHO - B F A - E - -BA - B E FF - C PROGRA MICROS Office URLREDIR DLL O - BHO DataMngr - BE A F - CB- -B B-B EDA B - C PROGRA IMESHA MediaBar Datamngr BROWSE DLL O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - Toolbar Wincore Mediabar - -e f - ed - c- e af a a - C ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/undeletable-folders-named-lp-and-73949-in-program-files-rootkit.1032980/
Relevancy 96.75%

HI, first of all, I found out that my home computer was infected by the lovelorn worm. Plan to clean that tonight.

Secondly, I found copies of 2 files named "folder" and "desktop" in almost all folders. The files where identical so I suspect that there is a virus that's propagating this. Is my hunch correct? Is this related to the lovelorn virus or is it another kind? What should I do?

Thanks!!!

A:files named "folder" & "desktop" in all directories.. is this a virus???

Symantec site you may want to review. I don't see anything about the file replication you are experiencing but the site may be helpful to you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/files-named-folder-desktop-in-all-directories-is-this-a-virus.146986/
Relevancy 96.75%

I no longer can directly access "C:\Program Files".

I get the following error:
C:\Program Files is not accessible.
Access is denied.

Please advise.

Relevancy 96.75%

Hello I have an Asus Netbook P running Windows SP with Internet Explorer I am often but not always experiencing the following issue When I attempt to connect to Wifi at a caf the quot Wireless Network Connection quot for the Network shows quot Connected quot yet there is no caf a Network although also - get No I When "connected" - Access" connecting at Internet "Unidentified to wifi Internet access Placing the nbsp pointer over the Connection icon in When connecting to wifi at a caf - although "connected" I also get - "Unidentified Network No Internet Access" the Notification Area displays quot Unidentified Network No Internet Access quot The network in question always has an SSID shown in the Wireless Network Connection list This issue occurs whether I am running only the Windows firewall or am only running the firewall that I prefer which is Comodo For antivirus I have Avast Pro with its quot web shield quot currently disabled and so far as this issue When connecting to wifi at a caf - although "connected" I also get - "Unidentified Network No Internet Access" is concerned it makes no difference whether this Avast component is enabled or disabled or When connecting to wifi at a caf - although "connected" I also get - "Unidentified Network No Internet Access" whether I disable all Avast Shields When this issue occurs there are often other customers in the caf nbsp connected to the caf wifi and also using the Internet I have to ask the caf to reset or turn off and then turn back on their router nbsp yet other customers do not have to do this to get Internet connection This is the issue at whatever caf to whose Wifi I attempt to connect Please help with a solution to this issue Regards Robert

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d18050f-7c31-4f0f-92d1-8039e0225061/when-connecting-to-wifi-at-a-caf-although-quotconnectedquot-i-also-get-quotunidentified?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 96.75%

Hello I have an Asus Netbook P running Windows SP get - Network wifi get a also "connected" I connecting to - Access" "Unidentified caf Internet Although I When No at with Internet Explorer I am often but not always experiencing the When connecting to wifi at a caf - Although I get "connected" I also get - "Unidentified Network No Internet Access" following issue When I attempt to connect to Wifi at a caf the quot Wireless Network Connection quot for the Network shows quot Connected quot yet there When connecting to wifi at a caf - Although I get "connected" I also get - "Unidentified Network No Internet Access" is no Internet access Placing the nbsp pointer over the Connection icon in the Notification Area displays quot Unidentified Network No Internet Access quot The network in question always has an SSID shown in the Wireless Network Connection list This issue occurs whether I am running only the Windows firewall or am only running the firewall that I prefer which is Comodo For antivirus I have Avast Pro with its quot web shield quot currently disabled and so far as this issue is concerned it makes no difference whether this Avast component is enabled or disabled or whether I disable all Avast Shields When this issue occurs there are often other customers in the caf nbsp connected to the caf wifi and also using the Internet I have to ask the caf to reset or turn off and then turn back on their router nbsp yet other customers do not have to do this to get Internet connection This is the issue at whatever caf to whose Wifi I attempt to connect Please help with a solution to this issue Regards Robert

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d18050f-7c31-4f0f-92d1-8039e0225061/when-connecting-to-wifi-at-a-caf-although-i-get-quotconnectedquot-i-also-get-?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 96.75%

This is not really a problem more like a nerdy technical question since I like being informed about the goings-on in my PC I hope I posted it in the right section since IMVU would probably fall instead IMVU Files" "Program in "AppData\Roaming" of Installed more under quot game quot than anything else I have always been curious as to why would the developers of the chat client IMVU decide to have the program install within C Users username AppData Roaming IMVUClient previous versions did so under quot Documents and Settings quot instead of quot Program Files quot or quot Program Files x quot on Windows I am also curious if this unconventional choice could potentially make my PC vulnerable to attacks Now the program works fine AFAIK but I m puzzled by IMVU Installed in "AppData\Roaming" instead of "Program Files" this I m the kind of user who likes having the choice of installing apps in a drive other than C to free space in C for portability etc and who gets nervous when apps do not install or behave the way that I m used to I was told by someone more knowledgeable than me that it was probably a lazy way to get around administrative install rights in Windows Vista and Windows He also added that the cache data of the program shouldn t IMVU Installed in "AppData\Roaming" instead of "Program Files" be in Roaming when there is no upper limit or even default size set on it And yes this has been asked on their forums but no staff member ever answered it only a forum mod who didn t IMVU Installed in "AppData\Roaming" instead of "Program Files" have a clue Any ideas Or am I being overly paranoid Ed nbsp

Relevancy 95.89%

I am getting an "Access is Denied" error message on a hard drive that I am trying to recover files from that is from my HP Pavilion with Windows XP that fried. My hard drive is still good, and I am trying to rescue the files in the "Documents and Settings/Owner" folder. I have connected the hard drive to my laptop, which also has XP; but when I try to open the "Owner" folder in "My Documents", it tells me that "Access is Denied." And when I hover over the folder, it says "Folder is Empty." But it is not empty. I can also access everything else on the drive fine -- just not this folder. I suspect that this is a networking type of issue, but I am not sure how to resolve it. Can someone please help me?

Thank you,

Relevancy 95.46%

I usually use it by pinning my frequently use folder,

so when I right click, the list of "pinned program (folder)" will be listed out, easy for me to access them in a click.

and one day, all the pinned programs gone.

so I attempted to "repin" all vanish folders, but even if I click to pin them, they just wont show up in the "pinned program" list.

the worst part, I right clicked, the only option is UNPIN THIS PROGRAM FROM TASK BAR where that program was not pinned in the first place (didnt show up in pinned list) , how come only this option pop out?

please help , thanks.

A:the task bar "folder" pinned "program"

Can you pin anything to the start/taskbar?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/122552-task-bar-folder-pinned-program.html
Relevancy 95.46%

every time i try to open one of this folders a window apears with this content
cant have acces to C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local Configuration\{one of these folders} acces denied
this affects my IE i cant download nothing thru IE all my files on that locations i cant set dispaly pictures on WINDOWS LIVE messenger and all thinks that has anything to do with those folders
any suggsestions or idea
hope you can help me
pd ive scanned my computer and its all clean also i cant install windows XP serivce pack 2 im kinda stucked :/

A:cant open "temprorary files" "aplication data" "program data"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-open-temprorary-files-aplication-data-program-data.555222/
Relevancy 95.03%

Without quotes, no extension. Anyone know what they are and if they're legit?

Thanks.

A:My c:\windows folder has a couple of strange files: "D" and "@#"

They dont see legit to me. Try to do a virus search. Otherwise i recommend factory reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/249637-my-c-windows-folder-has-couple-strange-files-do-u.html
Relevancy 95.03%

The control panel opens fine. I can access all items in the control panel
except "Network and sharing center" and the "User accounts" (I can't access this sections via the taskbar either).

What happens when I open one of the two items is I get a popup saying the
following; WINDOWS EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING.

I used to be able to access these items. And one day, I just coulodn't anymore...

Anyone knows how to solve this? Thanks.

I'm using Vista Ultimate x64

A:Can't access "Network and Sharing Center" nor "User Accounts"

Hello Newbie,

See if running a sfc /scannow can find and fix bad system files that may be responsible for this.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/187690-cant-access-network-sharing-center-nor-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Srry i know this post is a bit old but i recently just got this problem i can access the internet fine but i cant access my network settings, user settings, or see the the properties of my pc. i tried running your solution Brink but the scannow showed

"Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.
C:\Windows\system32>"

i then ran sfc /verifyonly but got the same answer.

i then ran findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt. and the txt file came up blank.

idk wat to do rite now i am at my witts end.

A:Can't access "Network and Sharing Center" nor "User Accounts"

Hello Jayrrus, and welcome to Vista Forums.

I would recommend that you use Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper to scan your system with at boot to help make sure that your system is malware free first.

Afterwards, you might see if you may be able to do a system restore at boot using a restore point dated before you had these issues to see if that may be able to fix them.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292657-cant-access-network-sharing-center-nor-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi I Issue No Invalid Are From Access Address" "There To Files"/"Attempt More ve hit a problem with Windows XP I ve looked around and I haven t been able to find anywhere which offers a "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue potential solution so I really hope somebody here can help This hit my computer without warning I switched it on this morning and it worked as normal I was using Google Chrome in order to browse websites that were free of spyware the Guardian at time of crash all of a sudden things started to freeze up I restarted the computer and now a lot "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue of programs are refusing to open - Microsoft Office among others states quot Error There Are No More Files quot whilst other programs such as Google Chrome and Internet Explorer state quot Attempt to Access From Invalid Address quot even when I am running them from their root folders As I ve stated I am running a Dell Latitude with Intel Core Duo T GHz M L Cache MHz Dual Core GB DDR - SDRAM DIMMS Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X and am obviously using Windows XP I have scanned my system with Avast Antivirus which didn t state that there were any viruses so I am stuck as to what exactly the problem is Thanks for reading I really hope that somebody can help nbsp

A:"There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/there-are-no-more-files-attempt-to-access-from-invalid-address-issue.759140/
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi I've looked all over the internet in attempt to find a solution to a problem that's just affected my computer and I haven't been More Are Access From Files"/"Attempt To Invalid No "There Issue Address" able to find anything that relates specifically to the problem I'm encountering This hit my computer without warning I switched it on this morning and it worked as normal all of a sudden things started to freeze up I restarted the computer and now a lot of programs are refusing to open - Microsoft Office among others states quot Error There Are No More Files quot whilst other programs such as Google Chrome and Internet Explorer state quot Attempt to Access From Invalid Address quot even when I am running them from their root folders I am running a Dell Latitude with Intel Core Duo T GHz M L Cache "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue MHz Dual Core GB DDR - "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue SDRAM DIMMS Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X and am obviously using "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue Windows XP I have scanned my system with Avast Antivirus which didn't state that there were any viruses so I am stuck as to what exactly the problem is I'd really appreciate some help in figuring out what has happened thankyou so much for your time in reading this

A:"There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue

I am having the same problem on the same exact hardware. i don't think it could be a hardware issue, but i could be wrong. i have tried repairing windows with no success. i'm thinking the only option is to reinstall windows completely.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/there-are-no-more-files-attempt-to-access-from-invalid-address-issue-302284.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Hey, I am really hoping someone can help me solve this problem, it's driving me up the wall!
When I started using my computer this morning everything was fine, and then "no network access" kept appearing, along with "limited connection/connectivity". I would troubleshoot the problem, but then at the end of the troubleshoot it would freeze, and my screen went black, so I had to turn my computer off and then on again. This problem has persisted throughout the day, I've googled it but nothing really the same as this has turned up .. if someone could please please help me, I'd really appreciate it!

A:"No Network Access" and "Limited Connection/Connectivity" ?

Hi Caoimhe123

My name is Riyazuddin and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell

If its a wired connection - I suggest you to try using a different ethernet cable and check,
If its a wireless connection - Try to get to the router as close as possible and check,

Please specify the type of connection, model of the router, OS and the wireless card your using and reply back

Regards
Riyazuddin M

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/241273-no-network-access-limited-connection-connectivity.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Hello to all I'm new to this forum and obviously i'm not Missing can't access "user" folder, missing local drive files, sure if this is the right place for starting and posting this thread Since i'm pritty desperate i'm going to explain the best i can what is really happening and how it all started Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive since a few days ago i was noticing that a few files specifically mp files are missing from my music collection I managed to recover the missing ones and transfer the whole collection to a new drive without issues Today i've found that some recently downloaded files Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive including several mp 's where missing again from the new HDD I started to look around the internet abut the problem and what could be the reasons that causes my files to quot vanish quot from my HDD As i was reading i stoped at one thread in Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive other's site forums that related to some quot security quot and quot user privileges quot issues in Win I then tried to quot fix quot the problem but noticed that the files where still missing Next thing i tried was looking for the missing files in some AppData subfolder named something like quot virtual backup quot or something That was the last time i saw the quot user quot folder and the last time y accessed my local drive Turned out the folder just dissapeared from the screen after a short quot access denied quot dialog box error After that all of my desktop icons dissapeared and my c drive went like it's empty and can't be accessed still i can see the drive lying there and every time i run a virus and malware scan it search the entire c drive with no problem Had tried a system restore to a previous state every icon on the desktop where there again but still no local drive Now i'm running out of ideas and i really need to fix this I will appreciate any help you can give me Thanks in advance

A:Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive

Viruses do things like that. The scenario sounds familiar. Scan with Malwarebytes. The free version is good enough.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=search-brand-us

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316614-missing-files-missing-user-folder-cant-access-local-drive.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hi I recently installed hdd old Cannot "windows" and "program delete from files" a new ssd and did a fresh install of windows on it I am now using my old hdd as my main data drive in my laptop caddy My Cannot delete "windows" and "program files" from old hdd problem is I did not back up my data on my hdd and format it So I need to delete the quot windows quot quot program files quot and quot program files x quot folders from that hdd to free up some space I understand I have to give ownership to those folders for me to be able to do delete the folders I have tired the methods suggested by this guide Take Ownership of a File Folder Drive or Registry Key in Windows I tried both of those commands To grant currently logged on user ownership of takeown F quot full path of folder or drive quot R D Y To grant administrators group ownership of takeown F quot full path of folder or drive quot A R D Y and it was succesful however I still couldn't delete the folders I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me

A:Cannot delete "windows" and "program files" from old hdd

A lot is protected by trusted installer. I do that kind of thing with a win7 winpe disc/usb. I have a special driver which ignores permissions and gives complete control.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/43064-cannot-delete-windows-program-files-old-hdd.html
Relevancy 89.87%

ok, i've been trying to move this folder for a while now and it just won't work. i've given every user all the privileges to edit the folder, but i still can't. i've tried deleting files from within the folder and they delete, but then re-appear again???

this is the first time i've encountered the problem.

what can i do? nothing seems to work. it's an important folder with 90% of my work in it.

thanks

A:"Destination folder access denied" whenever I try to move a specific folder?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/destination-folder-access-denied-whenever-i-try-to-move-a-specific-folder.1008607/
Relevancy 89.87%

...on external hard drives. is there a way to take control on the whole drive? (TONS of folders on 2 different drives that i'd like to rename, etc here and there.

thanks

A:"destination folder access denied" on folder/file rename

Hi BleepingCrazy,

You can try taking ownership of the drive instead of each folder.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/191927-destination-folder-access-denied-folder-file-rename.html
Relevancy 89.01%

What I want is a simple answer Failing that an answer that is not too complicated In my line of work I am continually installing and reinstalling Windows and on top client-specified applications Ever since I went over to Windows x first version then now I have had recurring niggles and problems Initially I always went with the suggested default installation base folder which for all the older bit applications was and still is quot C Program Files x quot I continued accepting this default location after Files bit "C:\Progra 64 Windows or (x86)" "C:\Program 8 7, I upgraded to Windows and yes with Now I don't remember exactly when the very first niggles got me scratching my head but it started so far as far as I can remember anyway When Windows 7, 8 64 bit "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Progra an application that I had installed could not find its associated icon because according to the shortcut it could not be found in its default location quot C Program Files quot Of course it couldn't The program in question take your pick Opera and Thunderbird Yes I know they're both from the same place was installed in quot C Programs Files x quot but the shortcut was looking for the associated icon in quot C Program Files quot Now yes I know that all bit programs are by default installed to quot C Programs and Files x quot This is easy to understand and explain it separates all those bit Windows 7, 8 64 bit "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Progra applications from their superior bit brethren NOW WE'RE GETTING TO THE MEAT SO WAKE UP I have since adopted the policy of changing the default location when installing any of my old bit programs from quot C Program Files x quot to the plain old vanilla quot C Program Files quot with no problems so far MY QUESTION IS THIS If I choose to install ALL my old bit programs to quot C Program Files quot rather than the default quot C Program Files x quot WHAT IF ANY ARE THE POSSIBLE NEGATIVE CONSEQUNCES THERE I HAVE ASKED A STRAIGHT QUESTION I EXPECT A STRAIGHT Windows 7, 8 64 bit "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Progra ANSWER Thanks Chris Bodragon

A:Windows 7, 8 64 bit "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Progra

A bit of a Google brought me to this:

Why Does 64-Bit Windows Need a Separate ?Program Files (x86)? Folder?

Basically....consequences are unlikely.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/44771-windows-7-8-64-bit-c-program-files-x86-c-progra.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I recently bought a computer with Vista loaded up. I added a dual boot so that I have Vista on C: and XP on E:. is there a way to run a program file, say Visual Studio, that was installed on the C: drive (Vista), when I am booted up on XP, or vice versa? Thanks.

A:How can I run a "Program Files" program from both Operating Systems in a dual boot?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-run-a-program-files-program-from-both-operating-systems-in-a-dual-boot.619395/
Relevancy 88.58%

No matter what I do, and how much I edit the security settings on that folder (not that it lets me even do that) I can't access this folder for some reason?

What's the deal? Thanks.

This is on Windows 7. I have two admin accounts. I can't access it from either account.

A:Can't Access "Default User" folder in Users Folder

Can you take ownership of the folder?

Quote: Originally Posted by karlsnooks

Taking Ownership of Files and Folders
As an administrator you can take ownership of a file or folder as follows:
1. In Windows Explorer, rt-click on "properties" for the file or folder.
2. Security tab | Advanced
3. Owner tab| click Edit
4. In the Change Owner To list, select the new owner. To take ownership of all subfolders and files within the folder, select Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects option.
5. OK | OK

Assigning Ownership
As administrator or the current owner, you can assign ownership to another user or group as follows:
1. In Windows Explorer, rt-click on "Properties" for the file or folder.
2. Security tab | Advanced
3. Owner tab | Edit
4. Click Other Users Or Groups
5. Type the name of a user or a group | click Check Names | Choose the name you want if its not already filled in | OK
6. From the Change Owner list, select the new owner. For a folder, select Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects to assign ownership of all subfolders and files within the folder.
7. Ok | OK

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/77973-cant-access-default-user-folder-users-folder.html
Relevancy 88.58%

No matter what I do, and how much I edit the security settings on that folder (not that it lets me even do that) I can't access this folder for some reason?

What's the deal? Thanks.

This is on Windows 7. I have two admin accounts. I can't access it from either account.

A:Can't Access "Default User" folder in Users Folder

Hello,

I don't know why you want to, but you have to fiddle quite a bit with the permissions.

Navigate to the folder (Default User) and right click on it and select Properties.Under the Security tab, click Advanced.Under the Owner tab, click Edit.Click "Other Users and Groups".Click Advanced.Click "Find Now".Scroll down and double click on Everyone.Click OK THREE times.Click on the Permissions tab.Under type Deny, single click on it and click Remove.Click OK.Click Edit (now on the standard file Property window under the Security tab).Click Add.Click Advanced.Click "Find Now".Scroll down and double click on Everyone.Click OK.Single click on Everyone and then tick the "Full Control" box under Allow.Click OK TWO times.
This will get you in, but I don't know why you want to. Don't fiddle with anything in there.

Richard

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/275475-cant-access-default-user-folder-users-folder.html
Relevancy 87.72%

I am using Windows 7 on my laptop and I have question about when to use "Home", "Work" and "Public" profile.

If I am logging in without setting password, and I am logging in network with "Public" profile, then will any other user, who can see my computer, be able to enter my computer and check the contents on my computer ?

I am connecting to a network and there are 6 other users connected to this network. In the set network location window, if I select the netwoek as "Home", does it mean that other 6 users will not be able to see my computer on network and if I use "Public", then all other six users will be able to see my computer on network ?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/when-to-use-home-work-or-public-profile-while-connecting-to-network-478413.html
Relevancy 87.72%

I set this Windows computer up wrong more than a year ago and have just lived with it but I am wanting to use an online backup service and want my files to be in a standard place just in case files for set all folder Documents folder "Contacts" as Mistakenly When I moved my files from my previous computer the first thing I did was create a separate partition on my new computer drive quot Mistakenly set "Contacts" folder as Documents folder for all files R quot I meant to then put everything in the quot Documents quot folder and locate it on the quot R quot partition I had it set up this way on the previous computer using Vista Somehow I got befuddled and they all went in the quot Contacts quot folder correctly located on quot R quot but incorrectly identified I think when I moved them from the default location on the quot C quot drive to the new partition on quot R quot I must have gotten trigger happy and hit the wrong folder button or something I don't quite remember Fixing it is not as simple as using the quot Location quot tab in the quot Properties quot dialog for quot Contacts quot I want Mistakenly set "Contacts" folder as Documents folder for all files to leave all my folders on the quot R quot drive I just want them to be in quot Documents quot not quot Contacts quot I'm afraid if I simply rename quot Contacts quot to quot Documents quot or move them manually that will break all links to programs big and small such as Word Dropbox iTunes etc Screen shots below And yes the quot Contacts quot folder inside my quot Contacts quot directory does contain MS Exchange contact files If someone can help me tidy up this mess I would REALLY appreciate it Unless you think I should just continue to live with it and save myself hours of frustration

A:Mistakenly set "Contacts" folder as Documents folder for all files

Hello Druekberg,

It'll be a bit of work, but you should be able to use OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to restore the default locations of any affected user folders. Be sure to back up the contents of the folders to another location first to be safe.

User Folders - Restore Default Location

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/318850-mistakenly-set-contacts-folder-documents-folder-all-files.html
Relevancy 87.72%

A folder "noun 01 acid anti" has been added to "Application data" with a program with different names (Team part.exe, Fourref.exe). When this is started (by itself) it pours code into other processes and starts a lot of iexplorer processes. It can't be removed except in Safe Mode, but it soon comes back - with the same name on the folder but another program name. Someone had the same problem? What can I do to permanently get rid of it?

I saw the name Team part.exe in another thread "Bloodhound virus" by aussie blondie and byteman in the middle of August, but they never discussed this program specifically.

A:Folder with sabotage program "noun 01 acid anti"

Download HijackThis from here. Make a new folder for the program and then open it, click Scan. When it finishes scanning, do no remove anything but instead save the log and copy and paste it here. Someone will then come along and further help you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folder-with-sabotage-program-noun-01-acid-anti.270866/
Relevancy 87.72%

Hey all recently I came across alot of themes on using a and "open installing program Problems containning folder" the internet and I Problems installing a program and using "open containning folder" decided to change my old one I also replaced my explorer exe and explorerframe dll everything seems to be fine until I tried installing a program or using the quot open containning folder quot function in firefox download manager This is the pre-load program of Diablo I cannot select or navigate to where I want to install programs anymore As for using quot open containning folder quot function in firefox a error message will pop out and say quot class not registered quot once I click ok I cant interact with the download manager it doesnt freeze just doesnt response to my mouse right click anymore double left click still works and only about seconds later my download folder would pop up Not just this I been unable to download some games that uses a client though I am not sure if it is blocked by my college's firewall or is a problem related to my original question does anyone know how to solve this thanks in advance System Windows Ultimate Bit Tried solutions Changing themes doesnt help Changing explorer exe and explorerframe dll not sure if I did it all right but my buttons are back to normal

A:Problems installing a program and using "open containning folder"

Welcome to SF snowstargraze.
Do a SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker and restart on finding violations. This repairs the .dll files back to original.

I am not good this but I will call a friend to help you further.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/229267-problems-installing-program-using-open-containning-folder.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hey there I installed a program I won't me it a folders. "My lock program them to Now used Folder" unlock called let on th March called MyFolder Manager which allowed me to password protect particular files or folders on my computer It was a free program and their help section lists this as their website though it doesnt seem to be of any real help http virtual-protect com I have a folder which contains I used a program called "My Folder" to lock folders. Now it won't let me unlock them ALL my passwords for accounts here there and everywhere be they bank accounts online casino betting accounts or just email accounts I ve never had a problem with the I used a program called "My Folder" to lock folders. Now it won't let me unlock them program but when i tried opening the folder today i was met by a message reading quot Location is not available C Users Zazkad Desktop Important Documents is not accessible Access is denied quot I ve tried my best to find other ways at getting around this problem but regardless of what i try to do it won t let me access the files within that folder in any way And i REALLY need access to that folder soon it s really important to me I would greatly appreciate some help on this matter Hope everyone had a merry christmas and a happy new year Zaz nbsp

A:I used a program called "My Folder" to lock folders. Now it won't let me unlock them

Hi,

Answer you do not want to hear, I know....but our Rules say we do not assist with passwords or workarounds for same....

I advise you to contact whoever you can to help you. You may indeed find a forum with someone who can help you, and Google things, perhaps you will find more help. Closing your thread.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-used-a-program-called-my-folder-to-lock-folders-now-it-wont-let-me-unlock-them.890777/
Relevancy 87.72%

Having carefully customised my new computer I thought it would be wise to create a backup of my c drive with all of its customizations As my computer is a Dell computer I had already used the Dell backup program to create a Factory Default backup restore disc on DVDs And that Factory Default restore set has worked perfectly several times But as people here at SevenForums highly recommend Macrium Reflect Reflect program "Restore" files! files, NO no *.mrimg finds Macrium I decided to use Reflect to create an image of my customised c drive so as Macrium Reflect "Restore" program finds NO files, no *.mrimg files! to be able to migrate to a non-Dell computer in future if necessary However even after watching several YouTube videos on how to use Reflect I did not find using this program easy For one thing Macrium Reflect "Restore" program finds NO files, no *.mrimg files! the videos are of an older version and the new version has different screen layouts Anyway Macrium Reflect "Restore" program finds NO files, no *.mrimg files! using Reflect I at least succeeded in creating an image of my c drive on DVDs with the suffix quot mrimg quot Then I thought it wise to make absolutely sure that this Reflect backup will work in times to come It didn't I found that no Restore program had been included on the DVDs All they contained was the mrimg files So I used Macrium Reflect to install the Linux Restore program onto the rd DVD where some space had been left If I now boot the computer from the CD-Rom drive the Linux Restore program boots up and asks me to select the image file to restore from However while the Linux Restore program correctly displays my computer's discs and file directories including the CD-Rom drive it sees NO image files In fact it sees no files at all As a solution Reflect offers the possibility of installing quot Windows PE quot as the Restore program but I see that that will involve a gigabyte download Can anyone tell me why Macrium Reflect's Linux Restore program can't see my mrimg files on the CD-Rom I was given to understand that using Reflect would be so easy I'm running quot Windows Home Edition quot Many thanks The solution to the above problem is as follows I hope many other people will be saved all the hours of misery I have been through by learning that Your Linux Restore boot program can only be installed on a CD and must be booted from that CD in your CD-Rom drive When you want to restore your backup images they must be on a drive separate from your CD-Rom drive Whatever other drive your backup images are on that drive must be plugged in to your computer BEFORE you boot up using the Linux Restore CD Linux Restore will only search for media that are plugged in and available for view WHILE Linux is loading itself Most people only have one CD-Rom drive but if you have two then place the first disc of your backup set in your second CD-Rom drive before booting up with Linux Restore in your main CD-Rom drive

A:Macrium Reflect "Restore" program finds NO files, no *.mrimg files!

A couple of points:

I would NOT store the image on DVDs unless I had absolutely no choice. A hard drive is a much better idea and less prone to problems. I've never even attempted to put the mrimg files on DVDs, but a lot of people on this forum run into difficulties.

Macrium is about as easy as imaging programs get IF you put the image on a hard drive.

I'd make a Linux recovery disk using an entirely separate CD. As I understand it, you used the 3rd DVD you had made. I don't know if that would work correctly. Introducing DVDs into the process is a complication I would try to avoid.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/221852-macrium-reflect-restore-program-finds-no-files-no-mrimg-files.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi Everyone So I just received a computer I purchased from CyberPower Inc and file your a is on 'C:\Program'" folder "There computer or called set everything "There is a file or folder on your computer called 'C:\Program'" up so far things have gone smoothly except for the following When I first booted the computer up and every subsequent startup I "There is a file or folder on your computer called 'C:\Program'" receive the following error message on the homescreen quot There is a file or folder on your computer called C Program which could cause certain applications to not function correctly Renaming it to C Program would solve this problem Would you like to rename it now quot If I opt to rename it then the next startup the message appears again but this time wants me to rename it to quot C Program quot It does seemt to be causing some problems for the way internet explorer functions I haven t finished setting up the computer restoring my backups or anything because I don t want to go through that entire process if I am going to need to find the windows installation CD that came with the computer reinstall the OS etc Any ideas here Thank You very much in advance I really appreciate your time nbsp

A:"There is a file or folder on your computer called 'C:\Program'"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/there-is-a-file-or-folder-on-your-computer-called-c-program.1054224/
Relevancy 87.29%

I was working on a laptop I maintain and noticed a new folder on the non-system drive (D:/) in the folder I had created for downloaded files to go to. It is named "confirm.aspx_files".

I assume it was created when some software was installed, but the user insists they did not intentionally install anything. I'm wondering if it can be deleted but can't find any information about it doing a web search.

Does anyone here know what it is and what program was installed?

A:What is folder "confirm.aspx_files" ? An installed Program?

Looks like the remnants of an web-page saved by Firefox (.ASPX is an web extension and Firefox create folders that end in _files for saved web-pages.)

Quote: Originally Posted by TVeblen

I was working on a laptop I maintain and noticed a new folder on the non-system drive (D:/) in the folder I had created for downloaded files to go to. It is named "confirm.aspx_files".

I assume it was created when some software was installed, but the user insists they did not intentionally install anything. I'm wondering if it can be deleted but can't find any information about it doing a web search.

Does anyone here know what it is and what program was installed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/131016-what-folder-confirm-aspx_files-installed-program.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Today I started my computer and when I reached the desktop this little message popped up: File name warning. There is a file or folder on your computer called "C:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "C:\Program1" would solve this problem. Would you like to rename it now?

I have never seen this before and I do not have a folder called "C:\Program". Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A:I get a file name warning for some folder called "C:\Program" ?

Have you scanned your PC for malware?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/250572-i-get-file-name-warning-some-folder-called-c-program.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hi all So I'm kind of stuck I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of quot loading files quot - gt quot Windows Boot Manager quot see How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows The Easy Way I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load I also end up at a OneKey Recovery as well unfortunately the laptop does not have initial backup or user backup Manager" -> files Boot ..." "Loading "OneKey" "Windows -> images I have a Windows CD for repairing purposes however I cannot load the BIOS UEFI to change "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" the boot order to load the optical drives first I have also tried to remove the CMOS battery to fix it did not work Also - Windows "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" Boot Manager Windows Setup EMS Enabled -- does not load properly leads to OneKey Recovery Safe Mode does not load properly Safe Mode with Networking does not load properly Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't load - tries to boot and load all files onto partition that is too small can't change partition Enable Boot Logging Enable Low-Resolution Video Debugging MOde Disable automatic restart on system failure Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Display Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver Start Windows Normally Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55670-loading-files-windows-boot-manager-onekey.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I had a crash yesterday folder on "disconnected" Program reinstall XP where I lost a config file in Program folder "disconnected" on XP reinstall XP I had no luck with trying to get to the repair section of the CD that came with the computer Dell Inspiron I didn t know what to do when I got to the C prompt after I chose the I m DOS illiterate I managed to get to the reinstall of XP and proceeded knowing that I might well lose everything on the computer When it Program folder "disconnected" on XP reinstall finished it looked like a brand new computer with little in the Program folder However when I look on the C drive the program folder contains everything that was previously installed but I m not able to open any of the programs from within their folders I m guessing the registry is gone My question is is there a way to reconnect all of these installed programs If yes how if not how do I get rid of them so I can reinstall If I just start reinstalling programs will they go back into these folders and reconnect themselves or am I going to be using up additional hard drive space I only have about of the disk left If I don t want to use some of these programs any longer do I dare to just delete the folders at this point I had a backup of the My Documents folder so I have most of my own data I just don t know if I should reinstall what I want and trash the rest trash things first or try starting over with another Windows reinstall Any help will be appreciated nbsp

A:Program folder "disconnected" on XP reinstall

depending on whether or not you got two different programs depends on how much disk space is used up but if theres one then they should just reinstall to their destination folder and if yr lucky you may recover any data previously installed but just to be sure then try it with one of them first.........

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/program-folder-disconnected-on-xp-reinstall.273090/
Relevancy 86%

I tried to associate the file extension .txt to a new editor program
with the well known cmdline programs ASSOC and FTYPE.

No, assigning them through WinExplorer menu does not work.
But this is another problem which should not discussed here.

When I type now one of the following alternative commands at the CommandPrompt then Win7 returns me something like:

assoc .txt=txtfile

"Access denied"
The following error occurs: .txt"

or

ftype txtfile=D:\notepad++\notepad++.exe "%%1"

"Access denied"
The following error occurs: txtfile"

Why?

The command above work fine under WinXP

Peter

A:"access denied" when using "assoc" and "ftype" from cmdline?

Question:

Did you run cmd.exe with administrative previlliges?
Elevated Command Prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/101442-access-denied-when-using-assoc-ftype-cmdline.html
Relevancy 85.57%

What I want is a simple answer Failing that an answer that is not too complicated In my line of work I am continually installing and reinstalling Windows and on top client-specified applications Ever since I went over to Windows x first version then now I have had recurring niggles and problems Initially I always went with the suggested default installation base folder which for all the older bit applications was and still is quot C Program Files x quot I continued accepting this default location after I upgraded to Windows and yes with Now I don t remember exactly when the very first niggles got me scratching my head but it started so far as I can remember anyway When an application that I had installed could not find its associated icon because according to the shortcut it could not be found in its default location quot C Program Files quot Of course it couldn t The program in question take your pick Opera Thunderbird Yes I know they re both from the same place was installed in quot C Programs Files x quot but the shortcut was looking 64 8 Windows "C:\Program bit 7, Files" (x86)" "C:\Program or Files for the associated icon in quot C Program Files quot Now Windows 7, 8 64 bit "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files" yes I know that all bit programs are by default installed to quot C Programs and Files x quot This is easy to understand Windows 7, 8 64 bit "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files" and explain it separates all those bit applications from their superior bit brethren NOW WE RE GETTING TO THE MEAT SO WAKE UP I Windows 7, 8 64 bit "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files" have since adopted the policy of changing the default location when installing any of my old bit programs from quot C Program Files x quot to the plain old vanilla quot C Program Files quot with no problems so far MY QUESTION IS THIS If I choose to install ALL my old bit programs to quot C Program Files quot rather than the default quot C Program Files x quot WHAT IF ANY ARE THE POSSIBLE NEGATIVE CONSEQUNCES THERE I HAVE ASKED A STRAIGHT QUESTION I EXPECT A STRAIGHT ANSWER Thanks Chris Bodragon nbsp

A:Windows 7, 8 64 bit "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Program Files"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-8-64-bit-c-program-files-x86-or-c-program-files.1124395/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi

Is it possible to start the app without "Security Worning" window ("Cancel. Open, More Info" buttons)? If yes, how you can make changes then?

Is it possible to start the app without "Microsoft Access" window on the background?

Thanks,
Barbos

A:Solved: Access 2003 - To start the app w/o "Security Warning" and "Microsoft Access"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-access-2003-to-start-the-app-w-o-security-warning-and-microsoft-access.837401/
Relevancy 85.57%

i've been relying on going to "internet options","general" and "delete" then ticking all the boxes on that page..i found out that by doing this,my temporary internet file swere NOT being deleted.is this a vista problem? my pc came to a complete sludge of a slow down today and i found that my internet files folder had files going back a year that hadn't been deleted as i've been relying on ticking those boxes..i had tons and tons of and tons of files.i'm wondering if this is the norm and also is it possible that other files are not being deleted when using that method? if so,then i probably have folders that are totally loaded with trash.

A:Solved: Had to delete temp internet files by "view files" ,"select all" ,"delete"

Have you ever unticked Preserve Favorites website data?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-had-to-delete-temp-internet-files-by-view-files-select-all-delete.1029591/
Relevancy 85.57%

On both 64Bit & 32Bit Win7 machines I get an error message, denying access to a file in a folder within another folder. All have been shared, permissions granted & drives mapped to each folder. That is in addition to initially applying the changes to the file folder, subfolders, and files.

The message comes after the Client machine accesses the program, and attempts to generate a pdf.

The 64 is Win7-Win7 connection, while the 32 is connected to an XP.
Initially, I thought it to be a 64 issue. However, now it seems to be a Win7.
I have set to the Program to Run As Administrator & changed the Compatibility to XP Service Pack 3 to no avail.

I am moments away from Control+Alt+45ACP.
Please Help!

A:Folder Shared, Permission Granted File "Access denied"

Quote: Originally Posted by ASKJesse

On both 64Bit & 32Bit Win7 machines I get an error message, denying access to a file in a folder within another folder. All have been shared, permissions granted & drives mapped to each folder. That is in addition to initially applying the changes to the file folder, subfolders, and files.

The message comes after the Client machine accesses the program, and attempts to generate a pdf.

The 64 is Win7-Win7 connection, while the 32 is connected to an XP.
Initially, I thought it to be a 64 issue. However, now it seems to be a Win7.
I have set to the Program to Run As Administrator & changed the Compatibility to XP Service Pack 3 to no avail.

I am moments away from Control+Alt+45ACP.
Please Help!

Try taking ownership of the folder. Here's how: Take Ownership Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/73534-folder-shared-permission-granted-file-access-denied.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Through IE Properties, the "Temporary Internet Files" folder cannot be emptied, neither by going directly to the folder.
It says "No Objects" although the properties from the folder show 10.000 objects and 600 MB size!!!

What could be the reason?

A:Files of "Temporary Internet Files" folder cannot be deleted

hi

try to right click on it and press cut the delete

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/files-of-temporary-internet-files-folder-cannot-be-deleted.29935/
Relevancy 85.57%

When I download a pdf file (A billing statement in this case), I would like to select "Save As" and be able to select the folder directly from one of the folders shown in Quick Access that is shown in File Explorer without having to rummage through all the folders on my three drives. Right now, "Save As" causes the folder selection to start with My PC. Is there an easy way for the list of folders in Quick Access to be displayed when I select "Save As" to save the file? Starting in My PC makes me go through the mess of finding the folder in which I want to save the file.

Thanks for any help.
Keith

A:Saving a file to a folder listed in "Quick Access"

Hi keithet,

You are able to change the default output locations for saving files, but I'm not sure if you can do what you're trying to do.
How to change your default save locations on Windows 10

I, too, hate navigating through the Explorer Tree, just to find a single folder. What I have found to be much easier is to set up shortcuts, which it sounds like that's what you've done along your Taskbar. From that point I just download everything to the Desktop and use the Drag & Drop method. Using third party programs, such as Folders Popup, makes it even easier.

I do hope there is a way to do what you're asking though, as that would be a nice alternative.
Good luck,
b1rd

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/40724-saving-file-folder-listed-quick-access.html
Relevancy 85.57%

My daughter's laptop was hit by a virus (I think) which seems to have overwritten the boot sector and / or the partition table. I can't even re-install XP pro because the XP cd doesn't detect a hard drive. If I connect this "faulty" drive to another notebook all the data seems intact BUT:

Scanning it with Bitdefender does not detect any malware and all the folders are accessible except the C:\documents and settings\"her personal folder".

This folder returns "access denied" whatever password I use.

Can anyone give me an idea as to how to access this folder before I reformat and reinstall XP?

thanks and regards

A:External USB drive folder "access denied" after virus??

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties
Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list, click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory <folder name>. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes

Note <folder name> is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.
Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Now see if the folder is accessible.

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/external-usb-drive-folder-access-denied-after-virus-381278.html
Relevancy 85.57%

From somewhere somehow a folder named quot permission to get to trying folder access "1055" when named Denied cd e d bce ec quot has been created in my W x pro root dir Trying to look inside I had to quot permanently get access quot But then inside it there are a whole lot of folders named things like etc ending with and What's in those folders I have no Denied permission when trying to get access to folder named "1055" idea since every time I try to open one I first get the quot You don't currently have permission to access this folder quot dialog and then when I click Continue I get quot You have been denied permission to access this folder quot Also inside the quot cd e d bce ec quot folder there are files like quot Setup exe quot and quot NDP -KB msp quot and quot SetupEngine dll quot and some bmp and some other files I guess that NDP -KB msp gives away that this folder has something to do with some NET framework update but AFAIK there's no NET-anything installed on this computer I want to remove the quot cd e d bce ec quot folder but there seems to be no way I can get permission to do that trying to get ownership or set access rights all I get is quot Access denied quot or similar Does anyone know What those folders and files are doing there How do I remove them

A:Denied permission when trying to get access to folder named "1055"

Just to make sure we're not dealing with any malicious activity, run a full scan with Malwarebytes and after updating it and post the result here.
Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/223728-denied-permission-when-trying-get-access-folder-named-1055-a.html
Relevancy 85.57%

My virus scanner detected a virus in the System Volume Information directory, the problem is this folder is unaccessable for some reason. It is a hidden folder but i cant find it and in safe mode i still cant access it. My virus cant get rid of it for this reason as well I am guessing. Please help me someone.

When i start my PC an error with a message such as this pops up: AVG has detected the virus worm/agobot in C:/System Volume Information/ etc. etc, the rest is a bunch of numbers then an exe. file.

A:How do i access "System Volume Information folder"? Virus in it.

Right click "My Computer" > select Properties > System Restore tab > tag the box to disable System Restore. Affirm the action and close the screen. Reboot for good measure.

You may then reenable System Restore if you like, the virus it had in its memory will be long gone now.

Regards.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-access-system-volume-information-folder-virus-in-it.190972/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hello,

Not sure if this an XP or Win 2000 question.

My laptop died a couple years ago and I finally got around to having a friend put it in an external USB hard drive enclosure. The laptop ran Windows 2000 and my desktop is running XP SP2.

I cannot open one of the folders. I get an "Access is denied" dialog. I assume this has something to do with my original 2000 log in and the permissions that were set?

Any methods to coax with HD to let me have access?

If I can answer any further question let me know

Thanks,
Michael

A:Folder is "Access Denied" on laptop hard drive

try taking ownership. see the following from microsoft

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/folder-is-access-denied-on-laptop-hard-drive-257358.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I recently had to replace my vista Home Premium operating system. I have my photograph stored on two external hard drives. I am able to access the music and documents on the external hard drive, but not the photographs. When I try to open a folder I am given the message that I do not have "permission to access this folder". How can I be granted that permission to ALL the photo folders ( app 50) on that hard drive at the same time? Very aggravating situation !!!

A:how do I get "permission to access a folder" on an external hard drive

Originally Posted by rosemaryheller

I recently had to replace my vista Home Premium operating system. I have my photograph stored on two external hard drives. I am able to access the music and documents on the external hard drive, but not the photographs. When I try to open a folder I am given the message that I do not have "permission to access this folder". How can I be granted that permission to ALL the photo folders ( app 50) on that hard drive at the same time? Very aggravating situation !!!

One tutorial that might help you :
Permission : note - it applies to both Vista and Win 7
Sharing and Permissions - Windows 7 Forums

By the way, is this the message you saw ?

If yes, what would happen if you clicked Continue ?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292089-how-do-i-get-permission-access-folder-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 85.57%

I've got a customer who's XP Pro box crashed. He Re-Installed XP Pro using the "Delete existing Windows folder" option. Now he can't gain acces to his previous user "Documents and Settings" folder even after recreating the same user and password in the new install. I'm thinking this is because the Windows "Computer Name" has changed. Anyone know of a way to get into and change the old computer name to the new computer name?

Relevancy 85.57%

In windows XP, if you go into program files, and go near the bottom, you will see a folder call "xerox" and if you try to delete it is says that one of the folders inside it (dont remember name) is in use by another user.

Why is this? I have seen this folder in EVERY computer with windows XP

A:What is with the "xerox" folder in the Programs Files folder?

It is the program file for a internet faxing service

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-is-with-the-xerox-folder-in-the-programs-files-folder.189706/
Relevancy 85.14%

When I edit game files and such in there (with Notepad), it won't let me save. It comes up with this: http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/fruitsbasketluva/Error.jpg

I have Vista and I'm the administrator. I know I used to be able to save them in XP...I've done it plenty of times. But since I got Vista I haven't been able to save a single one.

Anyone know why this is happening and a solution for it?
Thanks in advance ^__^

A:Solved: Can't save files I edit in "Program Files"?

"I'm the administrator"
NO, you are "A" administrator and do NOT have permission to write to the folder that you are trying to save to. Remember that on Vista you do NOT have the same rights as you did on XP.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-save-files-i-edit-in-program-files.682280/
Relevancy 85.14%

Ok, so basically, whenever I turn the computer on, 3 error messages appear:

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee.exe

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee1.exe

- Error loading H:/Archiv~/GBPLUG~/gbiehcef.dll. Couldn't find specific module.

(sorry if some terms are incorrect, my computer is in Spanish, to I tried to translate as best as possible)

Please help me solve this terrible problem, it is really getting me on my nerves! (oh, and if this helps, I've recently donwloaded this so called "Limewire acceleration", and whenever I ran the setup, it didn't work. I don't really remember the name of the website I downloaded it from, sorry...)

A:Can't Open "My Documents", "Trash" or other files in "My Computer"!?

Hi and Welcome to the forum

I am almost certain that you have malware problems. Most like caused by you doing file sharing/ P2P - Limewire.

Suggest that you go here and follow the directions:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

Please be advised that the malware people are very busy and it could take a couple days to assist you.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-my-documents-trash-or-other-files-in-my-computer-288056.html
Relevancy 85.14%

First please do not give me the Microsoft rhetoric about how wonderful UAC is and why access your workaround to "An program safe unknown wants computer" Seeking for a it is important for my Seeking a safe workaround for "An unknown program wants access to your computer" own safety I'm an MCSE with years of professional computer admin experience I understand security and why it is important That's why I am looking for a safe alternative to disabling User Access Control in Vista when all I want to do is have an application automatically launch at Windows startup While I do have a specific application that is giving me this problem my research into a solution tells me that this would be better addressed in a general way since there are several variations on a theme for this question The program I am trying to auto-start when Windows boots is configured to run as a service at startup When the application attempts to run its administrative panel in the notification area and run some other services it brings up the UAC nag screen informing me that quot An unknown program wants access to your computer quot Additionally the application has an quot unknown publisher quot The whole quot unknown quot part is apparently the problem Since Microsoft requires publishers to have a certificate or something to become quot trusted quot which is akin to demanding extortion money from publishers in my opinion This is a free open-source port of a Linux utility that is very useful I understand why the publisher has no interest in becoming quot trusted quot so it's not really an option to pester the developer to do so The application does not appear to require administrative rights and quot Run as administrator quot is unchecked in the Compatibility tab of the application properties but since UAC is being triggered it must do something that UAC doesn't like Since this application launches several vital services on a remote machine it's a gigantic pain to have to login just to approve the service every time the computer reboots I could disable UAC and since this is basically acting as a stand-in for a real server that might be best but I want to prove that it's possible to keep UAC enabled and still have a fully functional and safe Vista machine I want to prove that the Redmond Kool-Aid can work I also could shut off Automatic Updates so that the computer doesn't restart itself automatically after every update but that lessens the security of the machine In short it seems that the very act of attempting to keep my computer safe via UAC is going to force me to have to defeat one or more security features just to allow me to run the software automatically Is there and if not why not a way to add a whitelist of UAC-exempt applications to a computer Possibly a registry setting a group or local security policy an INI file or something else Every antivirus application I can think of allows manual whitelisting of files that would otherwise be flagged--why can't Vista I think there is a mindset at Microsoft that users either have to be coddled i e UAC or be allowed to hose their own system disable UAC and damn the consequences A far better third-option should be available allow people to carve out exceptions within the overall security rather than disable it entirely If someone has a solution I'd love to know it If not does anyone know who to contact at Microsoft to plead with them to come up with a way to do that so we don't have to disable security just to run known safe programs from untrusted publishers Thanks

A:Seeking a safe workaround for "An unknown program wants access to your computer"

Hello Willscrlt,

You might try this free beta Norton UAC program. It works great, and will allow you to add that program to a UAC exception list.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/190634-seeking-safe-workaround-unknown-program-wants-access-your-computer.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I have a new Dell computer with windows xp operating system. My old computer was a gateway with windows xp also. The mother board on the gateway crashed and I could not find a replacement thus I purchased the new dell. I extracted the hard drive from the gateway and installed in an external drive case. All works well and I am able to retreve data from the gate way hard drive with one exception. While the hard drive was installed in the gateway I elected to make some of the folders private, ie right click on folder, click on sharing and security and clicking on private. This worked fine in the gateway but when I installed in external hard drive I am getting an "access denied" error message when trying to open with the Dell. How can this be fixed? Thanks

A:Solved: Error message "access denied" when attempting to open private folder

follow the instructions there

joan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-error-message-access-denied-when-attempting-to-open-private-folder.676263/
Relevancy 85.14%

It says I am unable to access certain folders when I click on them.. Now that I have all my space cleaned out I am downloading a demo paint program for my school work.. and I get a message that my Temp folder is unable to to be accessed and I have prove access..

I am able to get to my other temp folder but not TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES..

A:Temporary internet folder "ACCESS DENIED"

start/control panel/internet options/general tab/settings/view files No results???
/view objects Results???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/temporary-internet-folder-access-denied.373504/
Relevancy 85.14%

So i am lookin at my itunes library and i wanted to see where all the songs were that were NOT downloaded through itunes I only have a few that werent because i Folder "Access saved Denied" in Music recently formatted my hdd and installed windows I transfered a few songs over and they are in itunes now What confuses me now is that these songs are located in C documents and settings my music and i cannot access this folder Now i did a quick googling about the issue and i get the idea that they are quot junction points quot and dont really exist So my question i guess is how in the hell did i transfer songs to a quot junction point quot that doesnt exist im pretty sure these songs were transfered using Music saved in "Access Denied" Folder a wireless network which was a pain in the in itself to figure out with the quot sharing quot and what not i honestly dont remember how i did it but i THINK i did these that way Actually now that i think about it i could have just replaced my library with a saved itunes library file which i did and that ended up giving me a bunch of songs in my itunes library that could not be found Understandably because they Music saved in "Access Denied" Folder arent on this fresh HDD But either way THESE few songs in question ARE on the Music saved in "Access Denied" Folder hdd supposedly in My documents but that cannot be possible right isnt My documents just a pointer to a different location on the hdd if so why doesnt it show me the ACTUAL location Is there anyway to find the ACTUAL location And not only that but it seems the ONLY way i can get to these song files is by right clicking them in itunes and doing the quot show in explorer quot option Anyway im going to stop now any clarification on how any of this stuff works would be helpful i dont like the idea of having my files labeled as being somewhere that doesnt exist nbsp

A:Music saved in "Access Denied" Folder

Look in C:\Users\[your_name]\My Music.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/music-saved-in-access-denied-folder.922156/
Relevancy 85.14%

Why does my Win 10 File Explorer show shortcuts to the folders in my own account folder, as well as the folders themselves?
For example, there is a shortcut to My Documents, which leads nowhere, but to a message saying, "Access Denied" yet the folder called Documents does open to display all of my documents. Application Data leads to the same denial, yet AppData gets me to my application data. What is the point of all these extra shortcuts (ten of them)?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-are-there-access-denied-shortcuts-in-my-user-folder.1168499/
Relevancy 85.14%

Hello, recently uninstall Windows 7 to re-install xp for some reason, well my old user account password windows 7 not even had much less some sort of encryption, I mean the main library folder "documents" now that I try to access this folder from xp I get an access denied error not to do and are very important these documents help. I see no action to unlock and I already went crazy.

A:Ex windows 7 documments folder get "Access denied"

Take ownership

Right click properties>securities> advanced>owner.

You are not currently recognized due to the change.

Hopefully it is done the same way in XP, this is the Seven procedure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/57652-ex-windows-7-documments-folder-get-access-denied.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Well, not quite VBA...

Under Tools > Options > General Tab, I can enter a path to where I want the DB default folder to be. My normal one could be :

C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Databases

If I'm going to distribute my databases, I'd want that path to be:

C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\My Documents\Database

where %USERNAME% is the generic Windows system variable.

Trying this as the default path in Access howevere, I get an error.

Is this possible?

Chris

A:Access 2003: "VBA" to set the default database folder

Chris, I am not sure why you need to set the Access Default Folder as it is only used when you create or open another Database.
You can establish where the Current DB is using "CurrentProject.Path"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-2003-vba-to-set-the-default-database-folder.839859/
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi,

For a folder, on properties, security tab, I've set "Deny full control" for every user.

Now I cannot do anything with this folder. It's the "Bonjour" folder with the Apple app.

How can I get access again, and delete this app and folder ?

A:"Deny full control" on a folder, how to get access again ?

It's possible.
Solution here :

Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61561-deny-full-control-folder-how-get-access-again.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi all I'm having a weird issue with one computer here drive Redirected - "My can't network folder, shared on Documents" see The quot My Documents quot folder is redirected to a shared network drive Other people can access the files in that folder and edit them The weird thing is that the quot local copy quot of the file does not seem to match the one the other users on the network can see For example I have this Excel spreadsheet Another user on the network made a change to the file In my documents the file size and modification date do not match the new state and if I open the file it does not contain the changes Everybody else on the network sees the changes just fine If I make changes to the file the others cannot see them however they do see quot tmp quot files which I don't see on my machine I have turned offline availability off to try and make sure there is no local cache of the file I have tried quot sync-ing quot the folder restarted my machine all to no avail Seems to me there is a different copy somewhere but I can't find it There is no quot My Documents Redirected "My Documents" folder, on shared network drive - can't see quot folder left under quot c Users lt MyUsername gt quot We are on a workgroup as opposed to a domain Any pointers welcome Thanks Bourgui

A:Redirected "My Documents" folder, on shared network drive - can't see

OK, I removed then re-instated the folder redirection and everything seems to be working again.

Would love to know what happened, but I really don't have the tie to investigate the matter further...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/278539-redirected-my-documents-folder-shared-network-drive-cant-see.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi,

I recently upgraded windows 7 onto both my laptop and desktop PC's. Initially, when I viewed the network tab in explorer, it used to bring up a list of my computers, of which I could then pick one, expand the list and see the corresponsing drives attached.

Today, I (stupidly) set up a homegroup. deciding i didn't really need it, i then deleted it! however, now when i expand the computers under the network tab, i cannot see the drives anymore. i can only see a folder labelled "Users".

Does anyone have any idea how i can get it to revert to what it used to show?

many thanks,

mike

A:Unable to view network drive, only "users" folder

You will need to make sure that you officially "leave" the Homegroup to fix that particular problem. After that you will want to set up a Workgroup type of network.

Homegroup - Leave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/80242-unable-view-network-drive-only-users-folder.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I had a small network up and running that I set up awhile back. I formatted & reloaded 2 of the machines (both running WinXP Home SP2). On the laptop, "My Network Places" shows it's shared folder and the "MSHome" network. The PC shows the network in "Create a network place" but doesn't see the shared folder.
Tried everything I can think of... cancelling and resetting the folder to share, adding another folder..., nothing.
Why doesn't my the shared folder appear in the "My Network Places" folder? Any suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-doesnt-have-shared-folder-icon.453106/
Relevancy 84.71%

I can see quot roxio quot program in the list of quot uninstall or change a program quot But I dont see it in the list of quot All Programs quot on start to use it There is no desktop icon created to activate this program and this icon is not "uninstall a "roxio" only or change program appearing name in program" the available on quicklaunch either Now how can I use this roxio program where can I find list of all executable programs and how to execute them program name "roxio" appearing in the "uninstall or change a program" only I clicked on the name of this program in quot uninstall or change a program quot list I got a message asking to remove this program So I cancelled it I right clicked on this proghram to find the path But nothing came out I looked in Program Files to find this program but found nothing there either I tried to check in the task manager if any process is running for quot roxio quot but nothing was there How can I use this application now If this program is not there in the system then why does it appear in the quot uninstall or change a program quot list thanks

A:program name "roxio" appearing in the "uninstall or change a program" only

Go to your system manufacturer's web site and download the Roxio software installation package and re-install it. If option for "repair" appears - choose it.

Here is the Roxio site itself --> http://www.roxio.com/

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/program-name-roxio-appearing-in-the-uninstall-or-change-a-program-only-472112.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Recently, for the umpteenth time, I tried the Windows DVD Maker and it actually worked! However, on the next attempt I get:

"The program cannot access the file because it is being used by another program"

I am burning a dvd-rw with several files, but I am not told which one is being accessed by another program. Is there anyway around this?

A:How To Solve the "the program cannot access the file..." message

Resource Monitor may be able to help you (Overview tab, Disk section) see which files are being read/written to.

Process Explorer (from MS System Internals) can do this as well...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220756-how-solve-program-cannot-access-file-message.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Whenever I try to install the popular live-communication program Ventrilo, I receive the ever-present "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

I am the owner of this computer, and, as far as I know, I have all of the required permissions.

Edit: I am running a Windows Vista, I am not sure what service pack level I have, as far as the updates go, I may not have downloaded them all, I am about to, and when I am done, I will report back with the results.

A:"Windows cannot access the specified..." when attempting to install a program

not sure that i know the answer to your question... but still pls indicate which version of Windows you're running and which service pack level? are all windows updates installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-cannot-access-the-specified-when-attempting-to-install-a-program.151694/
Relevancy 84.71%

I installed a couple programs.. they installed fine, but when I try to Run them, I get this error. The numbers change each time I try to Run the programs. Such as, one time it'll be 00401BBD and another, something else.

Here's what I've tried.changing DEP settings...

Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > and changed DEP from:

"essential windows programs and services only"

to

"all programs and services except those I select"

And turned off DEP for the programs getting the error above.

I can't think of what else to do?? What is this error.. I've never seen it?

http://www.vistax64.com/software/241589-access-violation-address-when-trying-run-program-screenshot.html
Relevancy 84.71%

From time to time I try to delete a file or folder and I get an error that says " Error Deleting File or Folder, Cannot remove folder "xxx": It is being used by another person or program." Is there any way to find out what "person or program" windows thinks is using the folder or file I'm trying to delete?

...can this be caused by someone hacking into my computer?

A:When a folder or file is being "used" by another program??

Hi and welcome to TSF.

Usually the 'other person' is actually the Operating System. It may well be accessing, or trying to access the file you want to delete. Often a simple boot to Safe Mode and deletion from there will solve the problem.

Unlocker is a useful small programme that can delete files, even if you get that message.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/when-a-folder-or-file-is-being-used-by-another-program-192832.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Huh, what's going on here.
My computer lets me browse the network just fine and even sees everything there is to see. However, when I want to say, mount a DVD from a networked computer for example, the Network icon is nowhere to be found on the Open File or Folder dialog window.

Going back to the root level (from the path bar in the very same window) lets me see all the usual stuff: drives, homegroup and such but once again, no network.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find any solution to this and it seems like a very silly thing to remove from the OS.

I hope it's just me being blind and I really appreciate any information you guys can share on this subject.

(Using Windows 7 RC1 64-bit, in the same network with two Vista 64 computers.)

A:No Network in "Open File or Folder" dialog?

Mount a DVD - using which software?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/10547-no-network-open-file-folder-dialog.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Win 7 X64 to SBS2K3 x86 with multiple shares to same raid array.
All mapped drive initially working.
Now only 1 map shows a grey "X" over the folder icon with a "This file is currently not available for use on this computer" error message.
Inside a H:\xxxx is not accessible

Other maps, M, O, S, U to same server and drive are 100% OK and this H for Home directory WAS working.

Other mapped drives are OK.
Same display and error if browsing UNC to mapped share.

Created NEW mapped drive to same share and same problem.

Share is fine from other non win 7 PC's XP and Vista (Both x86)

I'd been playing with ISO mounting software from MagicISO, MagicDisk, PowerISO, ISODisk, Elaborate Bytes.

Uninstalled and even restore back a week to prior and still same problem.

A:Gray "X" on network share folder icon

Hi DigitalDude, and welcome to the Seven Forums

As it is limited to one share on one OS the only thing I can suggest is security permissions on the share assuming it is a NTFS drive - you may want to check that the users has sufficient effective permissions on the share files.

The other thing that may be causing an error is the Virtual CD driver programs may have left a remnant registry entry or driver DLL that is blocking the use of the drive letter you are assigning, (but that would not effect the UNC access, so not likely, but it's a BETA and weird things can happen )

MagicDisk is particularly bad in leaving remnant driver dll's so that may be a starting point

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/4144-gray-x-network-share-folder-icon.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

A:Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders

Your files and folders may have been hidden by the virus, go to folder options and 'show hidden files and folder' to see if they actually are hidden. If they are, you can use Grindler's UnHide tool to 'unhide' all of your files and folders. As for the virus, move this thread to the virus and other malware removal forum in order for it to be noticed by an authorised malware removal member.
Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003509/
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop Also My Start Menu is empty I can t locate any of programs or documents a Right clicking and going to windows explorer I could only view quot My Computer quot quot Windows C and when I click on them they contain few irrelevant files In other words I can t find my personal saved documents quot my document quot folder recycle bin and all other programs My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet However I can open a microsoft office file PDF files if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive I can save files on my new blank desktop I presume this is a virus attack Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do AFTER FOLLOWING SOME ADVICE I AM BEGINNING TO GET Documents" folder erased. Locate and "My Menu" Can't folders "Start Desktop SOME OF Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders MY FILES BACK BUT MY START PROGRAM FOLDERS ARE ALL EMPTY For example when i click the microsoft office folder it is empty HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS VIRUS PLEASE Thanking you in advance nbsp

closing duplicate, please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html . Please do not create duplicate threads for the same issue.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003517/
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

closing thread, please do not create more than one thread for the same issue. Please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html .

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003510/