Windows Support Forum

Sluggish/nonresponsive "Save-As" and "Open" dialog boxes

Q: Sluggish/nonresponsive "Save-As" and "Open" dialog boxes

In any application under Win XP, when I use a Save As or Open dialog box, and click the down arrow next to the location box to search for the folder I want, the application never responds. Usually, I have to click the arrow a couple of times and then it sort of wakes up and responds, or the application crashes (the title bar of the dialog box will say "Not Responding".

Often, in the case of the Save As dialog, it won't say Save As in the upper left corner, only an "S" will appear there.

Seems like a memory issue or else something corrupt in the system. Before I shell out $35 to MS to have them fix something that shouldn't be broken, can anyone help???

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Sluggish/nonresponsive "Save-As" and "Open" dialog boxes

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 136.71%

Hi,

When our website users click on an html attachment embedded on a web-page in IE9, the download manager will not display the "Open" option. It will only display "Save" and "Cancel" which our users don't like, having to save the
html document in a folder to open it. Whereas, when downloading attachments like pdf, word etc. all three options are displayed. 

Is there any setting to tweak , which will display all the 3 options for HTML attachments as well?

A:IE9 download manager will not display "Open" option (only "Save" and "Cancel" is displayed) for downloading HTML documents.

Hi,
As you know, the Open-Save-Cancel dialog box helps you prevent your computer from affecting by virus while downloading. 
So I suggest you test to reset all zones to a lower level temporarily and then please attempt to download this html attachment again.

However, since you can normally download the other documents, I suspect there is some restriction in the website which you are trying to view. I recommend you to contact the administrator of that website if possible.
could you please send me the link of the website from where you are trying to download the html attachment?
Thanks!

We
are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this
interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3094ac49-8d49-4a60-a7cf-fb12c823e500/ie9-download-manager-will-not-display-quotopenquot-option-only-quotsavequot-and?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 126.79%

This was working fine until a few days ago. Whenever I insert a DVD into either drive, I get no dialog box asking me what I want to do with the disc.

Also, whenever I go to "My Computer" and right click on the drive, the "Open With" option is now gone. It was there a week ago! I have had some Trojan stuff found by my anti-virus software and I don't know if it wiped it out.

I read in Microsoft website to make sure a specific registry key was there and it is there. So, I don't know how to get options back. The only way to play DVDs is to pull up the player (Power DVD or VLC) and click on Open Disc.

Also, I have never been able to play them in WMP because of multiple image effect.

Thanks!

A:How to Restore "Open With" option and Dialog Boxes

LWarteman, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 220 (left column) and click on "Restore Open With on the Right Click" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-restore-open-with-option-and-dialog-boxes.858475/
Relevancy 125.55%

When I press "open file" in the program "Business Intelligence" of an Office
program like Excel, I would like the window columns to be in "detail" view
instead of "list" view.
How can I do this?
Is this a registry default that can be changed?
Thanks,
Josh

Relevancy 124%

Hi every one,
I have Intel "DG31" and "core 2 do"
Program hangs, when i try to open or save as a file In "excel-2003" and "corel draw9" and "WILCOM Es9"
and in task manager it shows ?not responding?
But when i try to open it by clicking on the file using windows explorer it works quite well.
Earlier i used same programes on the "865glc" and "2.4" there was no problem,
I have also tried many Intel computers to trace the problem
i found the problem on every computer that was build on the motherboard later then Intel 865
Now what to do?
Mohammad Imran

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/program-hangs-when-i-try-to-open-or-save-as-a-file-in-excel-and-corel-draw9-and-508343.html
Relevancy 123.07%

Here is something wierd. The "open" dialog box of some programs and windows xp are missing the section on the left side where it has the my computer, recent documents, desktop, etc - that whole left side is grey!

I dont think this is program-specific because if I go to "start", then "run" then "browse", it is grey there and that is windows xp. I have noticed it in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Reader, Turbo Tax, but also in windows applications such as Movie Maker, windows media player, and both the Firefox AND internet explorer browsers!

It is NOT greyed out in Microsoft applications such as Word and Excel though. Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

A:"Open" Dialog Boxes Don't Look Right

Ok, I think I figured it out. Its called the "Places bar" and the locations' shortcuts that are on it can be tweaked with TweakUI. But I dont understand how it got changed. I did not change it. Just like the Hard Drive Letters in my other thread, I was able to fix it with TweakUI but I don't know why it got changed in the first place.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/open-dialog-boxes-dont-look-right.547802/
Relevancy 122.14%

Hi!

I "told" Maxthon (i.e. Internet Explorer) to open f4v files with VLC. However, I'd like to have back the dialog window that asks if I want to open or save such files. How do I do that?

Thanks,
diodorus

A:Restore the "save or open" dialog window

I don't have Internet Explorer on my system, but from the Firefox perspective, you click on 'Options'~'Applications'...This is where you can specify default actions for various file formats opened with Firefox.

Check out if there's something similar in Internet Explorer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/21317-restore-save-open-dialog-window.html
Relevancy 122.14%

Whenever I try to save any document in any Office 2013 program, nothing happens. When I press File>Save as F12, or ctrl+s, (on a new document) nothing happens. Any normal way to save a file, even saving customizations, does nothing. I just get the "working" mouse for a half a second. Nothing opens, but I can still work in the document (so I know it didn't just come up in the background). Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any way to fix it?

Relevant: I have Office 2003 installed. I've heard that causes problems. I'd be willing to uninstall them both and reinstall in the recommended order, but I'd lose my customizations. I can't save my customizations, because that requires the save as dialog.

A:Office 2013 won't open "save as" dialog.

Does this problem occur with both version of Office or only with Office 2013. Also are you having any problems with any other programs on your computer.

You could try repairing Office 2013. To do that open Control Panel, select Programs & Features, scroll down to Microsoft Office 2013, right click on it & select Change & this will show a couple of Repair options for you to try.

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/366694-office-2013-wont-open-save-dialog.html
Relevancy 120.9%

or i should say they open for a split second and then disappear. so i go to run and type in msconfig and the box opens and closes immediately. i go to control panel and click system and again appear/disappear. what to do???

Relevancy 120.59%

I double-click and get "search" instead of "open"--only when I click a disk, like Hard Drive C: or Floppy A: or CD F: and so on.

It didn't used to do this, so I must've inadvertently changed some setting somewhere, but darned if I can find it now.

Any ideas?

A:Solved: On the "my computer" list, I double-click on disks and get "search" instead of "open"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-on-the-my-computer-list-i-double-click-on-disks-and-get-search-instead-of-open.407035/
Relevancy 119.97%

About one month ago a new problem surfaced Most times when I try to quot Save As quot a document and the application calls Windows Explorer for me to Browse where to save the file it hangs for upwards of seconds The Browse window appears but then I get a quot spinning circular cursor quot for - seconds until I can do anything This occurs in all applications from MSExcel through Internet Explorer The system never completely crashes but there is always this second lag now The lag also occurs when I try to open a document and to a less extent but sometimes when I simply open Windows Explorer Windows Explorer is inconsistent as to whether it will give me a lag sometimes it does work fine I have previously tried posting in the malware forum I had hangs "save Explorer "open" or when as" Windows picked something up they found and cleaned it out but that seems Windows Explorer hangs when "save as" or "open" to have been completely unrelated to this as it was a virus Windows Explorer hangs when "save as" or "open" redirecting my Google searches Can anyone help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-hangs-when-save-as-or-open.993583/
Relevancy 119.97%

Hello everyone, I'm new on here so I apologize if someone has brought this up, but does Microsoft have any plans to update Edge to where it can "Save as" or simply "Open" a file rather than just downloading everything to the Downloads folder? I wonder why they left it out; seems like a basic function to input. Thanks!

A:Microsoft Edge: "Save as" or "Open" features

It'll come as many have requested this. Wait for updates.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/edge/377253-microsoft-edge-save-open-features.html
Relevancy 118.11%

This has been happening the majority of the time for the last week or so. I've scanned for viruses, spyware, etc., but that isn't the problem. Whenever I try to save as, nothing happens. The hour glass comes up for about a half a second and then nothing happens. The same when I try to click browse or when I try to open a file, like pictures. This has never happened before except the last few days. I had a problem with spyware, but I've since installed zone alarm and firefox instead of IE explorer, which I had to do because I was getting an error on IE and it wouldn't open. I hope someone can help. Thank you.

A:cannot "save as," "browse," or "open."

Welcome to the forum.

1. Which version of Windows, to include SP?

2. Did the problem begin after installing / removing hardware / software, to include updates to AV & Windows?
2a. When was Windows last updated?
2b. Is your computer set to obtain Windows updates automatically?

3. Which tools did you use to scan for malware?

4. Can't save as, browse or open. Please explain. For example, what can't you open? Can you open notepad, type a few words, then save the file?

5. What kind of problems were you having with IE?

You're welcomed.

RF123

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-save-as-browse-or-open.485832/
Relevancy 117.8%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 116.87%

Ok I ve had this problem for quite a while now and I really hope that someone can help me fix it Pretty much let s take microsoft word I click on quot File quot then quot Open quot Then in the box that pops up there is a space near the top of the box that is right side of quot Look in quot It usually says quot My Documents quot when popped As" Problem or "Open" Argh "Save . . up But when I click on the little arrow that s pointing down to see a dropdown of where else I can save to the program freezes and I have to do a Argh . . "Save As" or "Open" Problem ctrlaltdelete The same thing happens when I click on quot Argh . . "Save As" or "Open" Problem File quot then quot Save As quot Argh . . "Save As" or "Open" Problem and I want to click the little arrow to see a dropdown Anything that I am doing for that box to pop up and if I click that little arrow the program freezes WHAT AM I TO DO HELP PLZ Thank you for your time nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/argh-save-as-or-open-problem.428639/
Relevancy 116.87%

Hey guys, I've a Toshiba laptop running Vista and just recently all of my desktop iconss have a recycle bin on them. Also since this happened whenever I try to save anything or open something from my computer and put it on the internet the internet browser (and save as/open window) will stop responding and I'll have to close it. Any help would be great!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/save-as-and-open-windows-not-responding.894502/
Relevancy 116.56%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 115.01%

Ok, so basically, whenever I turn the computer on, 3 error messages appear:

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee.exe

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee1.exe

- Error loading H:/Archiv~/GBPLUG~/gbiehcef.dll. Couldn't find specific module.

(sorry if some terms are incorrect, my computer is in Spanish, to I tried to translate as best as possible)

Please help me solve this terrible problem, it is really getting me on my nerves! (oh, and if this helps, I've recently donwloaded this so called "Limewire acceleration", and whenever I ran the setup, it didn't work. I don't really remember the name of the website I downloaded it from, sorry...)

A:Can't Open "My Documents", "Trash" or other files in "My Computer"!?

Hi and Welcome to the forum

I am almost certain that you have malware problems. Most like caused by you doing file sharing/ P2P - Limewire.

Suggest that you go here and follow the directions:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

Please be advised that the malware people are very busy and it could take a couple days to assist you.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-my-documents-trash-or-other-files-in-my-computer-288056.html
Relevancy 115.01%

I thought I was computer savvy until this problem came up When I double click my computer recycle bin control panel etc the hourglass comes up for a few seconds goes off and nothing else No error messages or anything just nothing I have viewed a few of the threads covering this and a common link was the hijack this result I have posted that here and really hope that someone can help me with this I have run SpyBotSD and adaware I have run mutiple virus scans I did an SFC and the final thing bin", I "control computer" "my "recycle open cannot panel" etc... was to repair windows using the original disk none of which has help I am running Window XP w SP Any other suggestions would be certainly appreciated Hope to here from someone soon MTCS out Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C PROGRA I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... TDSTEL ENTERN app pppoeservice exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system wuauclt I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Apache Tomcat webapps Toolbox StatusClient StatusClient exe C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C WINDOWS BCMSMMSG exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C PROGRA DEFEND DEFEND PopUpKiller exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Javasoft JRE bin javaw exe C Documents and Settings Charlotte Hough Desktop HijackThis exe O - BHO HP Print Enhancer - C E- - -BF - C - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dll O - BHO HP Print Clips - F -DC - -A C- F D C - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp framework dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Program Files Real RealPlayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO IE PopUp-Killer Neikeisoft - E E F - C - D - D- - C PROGRA DEFEND DEFEND PopUp dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run StatusClient C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Apache Tomcat webapps Toolbox StatusClient StatusClient exe auto O - HKLM Run TomcatStartup C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox hpbpsttp exe O - HKLM Run OpwareSE quot C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe quot O - HKLM Run REGSHAVE C Program Files REGSHAVE REGSHAVE EXE AUTORUN O - HKLM Run vptray C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe O - HKLM Run BCMSMMSG BCMSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run Adobe Photo Downloader quot C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe quot O - HKLM Run HP Software Update C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C Program Files Spybot - Search amp... Read more

A:I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc...

You may want to reinstall the operating system.

Backupthe files that are importantto you before you reinstall.

The "New" installation will overwrite the current one

If you do not format your hard drive before the reinstall the installation should not harm your files (That's why I suggest backingup your files) and will speed up the installation process.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-open-my-computer-control-panel-recycle-bin-etc.717788/
Relevancy 114.7%

Hi everyone I m new to the forum I am running Windows XP SP Home Edition boxes to" Help! not to" properly!!! and XP "move Windows "copy Hm displaying Background I was running Windows IE beta no problems I decided to upgrade to Windows IE beta the system would not I removed before trying to install beta I dropped back to IE thinking it Help! Windows XP Hm "copy to" and "move to" boxes not displaying properly!!! would run correctly but I was wrong When I try to move a file using the quot Copy to quot or quot Move to Help! Windows XP Hm "copy to" and "move to" boxes not displaying properly!!! quot window the window frame displays but there is nothing in it except at the top quot Select the place you want to move quot x quot file and then at the bottom of Help! Windows XP Hm "copy to" and "move to" boxes not displaying properly!!! the window quot to view any sub folders click plus sign quot Move New Folder The entire file system is missing where I could select a file to move to example C and all the sub folders are not displayed so I cannot select one The system still works but all the files are sent to C SW F which is most likely the last folder I accessed before this whole failure to install mess started Is there any way to restore the file system so I can select where I want to send my files when I copy and move without dragging them with two open windows Thanks I have more questions but this is enough to start with I appreciate the help I really screwed this thing up I am currently running IE with expanded stuff left over from the botched install attempt from IE beta Turbo nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-windows-xp-hm-copy-to-and-move-to-boxes-not-displaying-properly.480286/
Relevancy 114.08%

I want to see the Japanese character for "replace" ?m into a dialog box, but I am seeing a simplified Chinese character instead.  The character is showing up as
I type this, but not when I submit it, so you probably do not know what character I mean.  Anyway, the Japanese character shows up in the body of an Outlook 2007 email, but the simplified Chinese character shows up on the subject line of the same email. 
Do you know what might be behind this and how to fix it?  Thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0e99f7d9-d400-457d-b4ae-cee3b8d13a2d/japanese-character-for-quotreplacequot-comes-out-incorrectly-in-dialog-boxes-and-outlook-2007?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 112.53%

XP Home installed SP recently which MIGHT have something to File/Print to added As" menu -also: "FTP question Sharing Locations" "Save do with this Just saved two word docs and a bmp file all separately All three times I saw that a new location has been added to the Save As drop-down menu It didn t open to My Documents folder but was in the general folder list of the whole computer The location was called quot FTP File Locations quot It s never appeared on the Save As menu before This made me think of the file print sharing control which "FTP Locations" added to "Save As" menu -also: File/Print Sharing question is now located in the Windows Firewall but I don t use that Firewall I turned it off to use Norton What was FTP Locations And is there any way to disable file print sharing without using the Windows Firewall These may be the same "FTP Locations" added to "Save As" menu -also: File/Print Sharing question thing I don t know Also in Network Connections I thought I d find file print sharing control there but now XP wants me to run a whole Network Wizard thing I m afraid I ll somehow set up a network instead or enable all kinds of things I don t want to create a disaster here My son installed an FTP program months ago for work he was doing but the program was removed I just searched for it it s definitely gone This is a stand-alone non-networked home computer P S I saved another Word doc and now it s back to opening to My Documents folder as usual now I can t find the FTP Locations anywhere nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ftp-locations-added-to-save-as-menu-also-file-print-sharing-question.281451/
Relevancy 111.29%

My office just upgraded and I can no longer use Windows XP On this system I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists Each task on each taskbar was represented with a big custom icon to save eye strain I had them installed in opposite vertical margins and they "Launchpads", to "Toolbars" for "Docks" (MSese "TASKBARS" NOT add Need were set on auto-hide to keep them out of the way when not being used Just move your mouse pointer to the left or right margin and BAM Sorry for the cliche but I really got used to the convenience of what I had set up and I just don't think I Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars" can be as efficient without anything comparable Now there appears to be nothing comparable in the Windows GUI and it's making me sick with rage I see only the option to put a quot toolbar quot on an existing quot taskbar quot and no option to create any additional taskbars This cramps up your one-and-only taskbar plus the tiny toolbar access buttons require way too much precision for anything that's supposed to be quick When you've figured out how to bring up that ridiculous button the list that it yields is small enough to cause painful eyestrain - nothing efficient much less cool about this at all I have seen customization options in other OS GUIs that may have resolved some of these issues but I see none such in W I have tried every google search string that I can think of and found no answer that deals with anything other than adding that stupid toolbar to the only taskbar that Microsoft will allow you in W So If I'm wrong and have missed some options how do I access them Otherwise I'm hoping there are developers who know what I am talking about and have software to enable the creation of separate taskbars launchpads Can anybody help with either

A:Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"

Several possibilities here: Second taskbar in windows7? [Solved] - Windows 7 - Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306313-need-add-taskbars-msese-launchpads-docks-not-toolbars.html
Relevancy 110.67%

I just got a new Hewlett Packard computer with Windows XP The CD drive is a combo CD reader writer and DVD The main reason I need it is to backup my many documents database programs RootsMagic family history Quicken etc photographs and drawings The pre-installed burning program on the computer is Adaptec s I think Sonic RecordNow which is useless for my needs because of the way it works The HP tech suggested I download DLA to enable me to use quot drag amp drop quot through Windows Explorer but I haven t had much luck with that either What I need is to be able Data "Drag & storage backup to using as..." "Save CD-RW's Drop" or and to use a CD-RW as a giant floppy - to add delete copy edit and move files just as I do on my regular floppies using quot drag amp drop quot through Windows Explorer or quot save as quot What software do Data backup and storage to CD-RW's using "Drag & Drop" or "Save as..." I need for this Please use quot baby-talk quot with me because I don t understand any of the initials terms and technical language I see all over these forums Thanks Dellasha nbsp

A:Data backup and storage to CD-RW's using "Drag & Drop" or "Save as..."

The most versatile program for that is "Nero"
The latest version Nero6 Reloaded is a bit bloated, maybe the NeroMIX will do better for you. Read the specs here: www.nero.com

The part that interests you specifically is InCD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-backup-and-storage-to-cd-rws-using-drag-drop-or-save-as.19692/
Relevancy 110.67%

Hello everyone Recently I'm playing Anno also called Dawn of Discovery in my Vista Home Basic bit finely until I saw the problem with the quot save load quot problem First it saves quot systematically quot but the save is corrupted to a kb file Second the game can't load the 'properlly saved' save file and also the corrupted one also Few of Anno 1404 "save/load" problem and "runas.exe" using the players had the similar problem and someone said that making another user account works and I tried and really worked for me Yes I can play this way but all of my files and infos are saved in the Administrator account and I don't want to switch users just to play that game Recently I found a useful MS program which is runas and found how to run as another account It asks for the account pw and everythis was fine but it doesn't run my game It just closes the cmd and nothing happens What could be this problem I hope Ubi gives out this fixing patch fast

A:Anno 1404 "save/load" problem and using "runas.exe"

Figured it out with Runasspc program (which also saves the password! )

http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/237247-anno-1404-save-load-problem-using-runas-exe.html
Relevancy 110.67%

Hello,

I have been working on this issue for quite some time, please help.

This computer has multiple profiles on it. This problem only seems to happen on 1 profile, not sure if that profile may be corrupt..

Troubleshooting I've done..
Quick repair
Online repair
Completely uninstalled, rebooted, and installed Office 2013 32 bit
Ran sfc/ scannow and rebooted

Non of those have worked. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/390445-office-2013-issue-save-dialog-box-blank-grayed-out.html
Relevancy 110.67%

This "Save As..." dialog window is mainly used to located files to import to a program.

Here we have the default size:
I want it to automatically fit all column size or have a preset of how large I want it to stretch by default:

*notice the difference with the 2nd one where there is no scroll bar. So everything's in view.

A:"Save As..." dialog window automatic fill/column-size

I am not sure if I am understanding your post, but, if I wish to see the whole window, without a scroll bar in the "save as" dialogue(cant think of a reason why I would need that), I use the small magnification facility at the bottom of the right side of the window

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/46917-save-dialog-window-automatic-fill-column-size.html
Relevancy 110.36%

This should be completely trivial but I don't see how to do it I'm visiting a website in IE I don't think the browser actually matters and right-click a picture I am presented with a list of options including quot Save picture as quot which I select This opens a dialog box that is browsing my quot My Pictures quot folder Once upon a time the items in that folder appeared in alphabetical order Now they don't If I open quot My Pictures quot directly i e in Windows Explorer they appear alphabetically so it's not a folder property I can right-click the background in the list of icons which gives me a menu that I can use to select quot Arrange icons by quot and then quot Name quot That does exactly what I want but when I try to save another image in the same folder it reverts to the previous behavior So ordering as..." [SOLVED] "Save dialog? Default in icon there must be a way of changing the default behavior somewhere but so far I haven't been able to find it Any suggestions

A:[SOLVED] Default icon ordering in "Save as..." dialog?

Found it!

Apparently if you hold down the Ctrl key and click the red X in the upper right-hand corner to dismiss the dialog, it stores the current view settings as the new default.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-default-icon-ordering-in-and-quot-save-as-and-quot-dialog-502755.html
Relevancy 110.36%

Whenever I save something on Win 7 with the standard "Save" dialog (such as used by Firefox or Microsoft Word), the filename is still there in the drop-down list for others to see. Where is that list stored? A search with RegEdit does NOT match any of the filenames listed there (I even do a partial search without case sensitivity, to no avail) so I don't know where they're being stored. It's very puzzling.

Relevancy 110.36%

I am infected with this crap and have used the following tools to try to get rid of it Windows Defender Unible PowerSuite SpeedUpMyPC Registry Booster amp Spyware Protector and Norton's - "Error Worm-Popups-The Icons Netsky Cleaner" Protector" "Spyware..." Three "Privacy One Button Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..." Checkup and WinDoctor Not sure if it's related but my DISPLAY is locked at X Atempted the Step Process before posting and Panda ActiveScan froze and crashed after scanning files but not before identifying spyware files Here's my extra txt log from Deckard's Deckard's System Scanner v Extra logfile - please post Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..." this as an attachment with your post -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Information ---------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition build SP Architecture X Language English CPU Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz Percentage of Memory in Use Physical Memory total avail MiB MiB Pagefile Memory total avail MiB MiB Virtual Memory total avail MiB MiB A is Removable No Media C is Fixed NTFS - GiB total GiB free D is CDROM CDFS PHYSICALDRIVE - ST A - GiB - partition PARTITION - Unknown - MiB PARTITION bootable - Installable File System - GiB - C -- Security Center ------------------------------------------------------------- AUOptions is scheduled to auto-install Windows Internal Firewall is disabled AntiVirusDisableNotify is set FirewallDisableNotify is set FW Norton Internet Security v Symantec Corporation AV Norton Internet Security v Symantec Corporation HKLM System CurrentControlSet Services SharedAccess Parameters FirewallPolicy DomainProfile AuthorizedApplications List quot windir system sessmgr exe quot quot windir system sessmgr exe enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe Enabled Logitech Harmony Remote Software quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe Enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe Enabled Logitech Desktop Messenger quot HKLM System CurrentControlSet Services SharedAccess Parameters FirewallPolicy StandardProfile AuthorizedApplications List quot windir system sessmgr exe quot quot windir system sessmgr exe enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE quot quot C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE Enabled LEXPPS EXE quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe Enabled Logitech Harmony Remote Software quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe Enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe Enabled Logitech Desktop Messenger quot quot C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe quot quot C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe Enabled LimeWire quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe Enabled Yahoo Messenger quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YServer exe quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YServer exe Enabled Yahoo FT Server quot quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe Enabled Windows Messenger quot quot C Program Files Veoh Networks Veoh VeohCli... Read more

A:Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..."

Bump.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/netsky-worm-popups-the-three-icons-error-cleaner-privacy-protector-spyware-207223.html
Relevancy 110.05%

Hi all,
This is a great board-- I have received a lot of help from here!
This is my next project.
Open the attached file and, on the right of the form, there are six cells with text.
I need to concatenate these with one space in between each one, then copy the group of them and use the clipboard to paste so I can open the "save as" dialog box and paste it as the filename. We need this in our environment to be able to create the file name quickly, paste it and save the file.
I want to be able to do this with a button that activates a macro.
You can see the button on the right side when you open the file. The macro assigned to it called "createfilename". The code is in module 1.
I got it started, but I know it needs help.
Thanks!

A:Solved: Excel macro to concatenate and copy cells for pasting to "save as" dialog box

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-excel-macro-to-concatenate-and-copy-cells-for-pasting-to-save-as-dialog-box.1103234/
Relevancy 110.05%

No matter what I try to save to the desktop, "desktop" no longer shows up in the save to/save as dialog boxes as an option for where to save the file. I think I mis-clicked something in that dialog box to remove it, but now I cannot get it back.

A:"Desktop" no longer an option in save dialog box

See if this tutorial will help Common File Dialog Box - Customize Places Bar

Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/295158-desktop-no-longer-option-save-dialog-box.html
Relevancy 110.05%

Greetings

The Windows 7 "Save As" dialog isn't as resizable as the XP version. Called "Save As" in Firefox, "Save Webpage" in IE.

If I could remove the search box to the right of the path at the dialog top I could make the dialog narrower and not obscure so much of the web page. When I tried shrinking search box relative to the path box, I couldn't eliminate it or make the dialog narrower because the path box widened.

I don't need the search box at all--the path and carats (little triangles to right of path parts) do fine.

Thank you for advice.

A:how do I remove the search box from browser "Save As" dialog?

Hi mms2

Welcome to to forum.
I don't know if mozilla (Firefox) and IE actually share the same "dialog".
But I have found MozilaZine forum, for all things mozilla, very helpful.

Like you I would like to trim the c__p out of some dialogs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/328852-how-do-i-remove-search-box-browser-save-dialog.html
Relevancy 109.74%

Ok so im new here so hey everybody to the point my laptop is quot stuttering quot lagging skipping whatever you wanna call it its doing it my video music and cursor skip every second for a splt second it starts on start-up and dont stop til i turn my laptop off it happens in a pattern its not random ive done checked my drivers spyware and m RAM is good so can someone please help me could it be because my battery wont hold a charger so it has to be hooked up to the charger at ALL times or it dies Example is the charger not got the quot juice quot to run the laptop by itself so it studders skips i dont know if this has report viewer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" Whole Solved: (PLEASE computer .. event have anything to do with my problem but i ran quot event viewer quot and found this The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Cdrom Imapi redbook PLEASE HELP OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Genuine Intel R CPU Solved: Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE T GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R GM Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc FF HWPLLB CN S Antivirus McAfee VirusScan Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Disable nbsp

A:Solved: Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-whole-computer-studders-skips-lags-have-event-viewer-report-please.981934/
Relevancy 109.74%

I am running Windows 7 in 32 bit mode. When I go to create a folder in documents or on the desktop I right click and select "New". This opens a dialog list of functions. Everything is there but "Folder". What am I missing? Is there a Windows update missing? Is this normal for Windows 7???? There is a box at the top of the Documents page that says New Folder. When I select this box nothing happens?????? Where do New Folders go????

A:"Folder" does not appear in the dialog list when selecting "New"

The menu you are talking to is called the "Shell Context Menu", there is not a built in windows feature to change the contents of this Menu as it is generated from the registry.

go to NirSoft - freeware utilities: password recovery, system utilities, desktop utilities and get "ShellMenuView" and/or "ShellExView" which provides a simple interface for viewing and editing entries on this menu. The tools do not need to be installed, you just run them!

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/289266-folder-does-not-appear-dialog-list-when-selecting-new.html
Relevancy 109.74%

Hey Friends I guess its not only me having this is it Many of and and Dialog ".CHK Windows Files" "Scan Box" Fix us have it right so whats the thing which brings up this dialog box gt Scan and Fix or Continue without scanning gt when you connect an external device to your computer i had some time some bad day of mine when i clicked on the Scan and Fix and the result was the windows converted a very large number of my files into CHK files hidden in the HDD and i still cannot find a way to recover those most most important files of mine they are text files I did recover a large bundle of files but not the ones i actually needed more than anything those text files i have gone through literally files and recovered almost everything gt videos movies images and messed up bits of large installation files of softwares like AE broken down to many many small pieces but that doesnt matter that stuff can be recovered softwares and movies and songs but the text files are still among those CHK files i have which are still more than Anyone have anything regarding this is more than Welcome to share their Knowledge Thanks

A:Windows "Scan and Fix Dialog Box" and ".CHK Files"

Sounds like checkdisk is running and finding a problem with a hard drive and attempting a repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/234506-windows-scan-fix-dialog-box-chk-files.html
Relevancy 109.12%

every time i try to open one of this folders a window apears with this content
cant have acces to C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local Configuration\{one of these folders} acces denied
this affects my IE i cant download nothing thru IE all my files on that locations i cant set dispaly pictures on WINDOWS LIVE messenger and all thinks that has anything to do with those folders
any suggsestions or idea
hope you can help me
pd ive scanned my computer and its all clean also i cant install windows XP serivce pack 2 im kinda stucked :/

A:cant open "temprorary files" "aplication data" "program data"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-open-temprorary-files-aplication-data-program-data.555222/
Relevancy 109.12%

I'm using MS Access 2000. I want to create a macro that will make the "Save As" window/dialog box pop-up. The reason being, there are certain queries that I would like to save to Excel.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Note - I purposesly do not have the "Save As" option in my menu.

A:MS Access 2000 - "Save As" Dialog Box

Why not just write some VBA that will use the OutputTo method? Much easier.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-access-2000-save-as-dialog-box.448837/
Relevancy 109.12%

Okay, maybe not the most descriptive of titles, but the problem that I am experiencing is that from any application, opening up the "Save As" dialog box causes the application to hang or freeze for 20-60 seconds. This happens about 2/3 of the time, and it seems to happen in about 1/2 of my applications.

I've found numerous threads regarding this issue, but it seems that the main identifiable resolution is the following MS update.
The April 2010 stability and reliability update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 is available

I found that link from here:
Windows 7 New Folder Very Slow

Obviously, I've applied that patch, and this installation of Win7 is a fresh install post reformat. Has anyone else continued to observe this annoying behavior? If so, has anyone found a viable means of eliminating the bug?

A:Win7x64 "Save As" Dialog Causes Hang

Are you running your 6 HD's as seperate drives?
I would make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard, also check for a bios/firmware update. I would say its probably an issue with the storage management, as the computer is hanging when its figuring out where you can save the file.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/92453-win7x64-save-dialog-causes-hang.html
Relevancy 109.12%

Hello guys So I have had this weird thing happening where certain windows such as quot Save As quot won't load all the way initially If I click on a link in the window it refreshes and the window looks fine but it will not load INITIALLY I have a NVIDIA GTX running monitors all HDMI and absolutely NO ISSUES playing games on Steam or just using the computer doing anything else I've even had vm's running at the same time in VMWare Workstation and can drag windows all over the place and cannot reproduce the results I posted this in the graphics card section because it effects almost every application that includes a quot save as quot window Possible Reason I first noticed this issue when I uninstalled F Lux https justgetflux com about two weeks ago I tried to As" Initially Not "Save Loading Dialog give it a shot but the colors were too much change for me I have read their FAQs and Forums and cannot find a match to my situation Things I have tried Safe mode - same thing happens Updating graphics card driver to newest version Restored back to a restore point prior "Save As" Dialog Not Loading Initially to F lux Adjusted graphics card settings in Nvidia Control Panel and Windows Color Management Virus scan and sfc scannow - clean Tons of Google searches https drive google com file d B h ew usp sharing https drive google com file d B h ew usp sharing Computer Specs https drive google com file d B h ew usp sharing Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/376404-save-dialog-not-loading-initially.html
Relevancy 108.81%

my boss only know how to use google chrome, and he usually save websites in his own document library, and he always use "right click mouse > save as" to open his own document library directory, and sometimes he will save some pdf, but when he tries to open an pdf file through google chrome with right click > save as, he can only see file with html extension. any one can help to add "all files" in the drop-down menu next to "Save as type" in google chrome, so he can see all files types when he right click > save as through the google chrome browser.

Thks in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/384975-add-all-files-save-type-google-chrome.html
Relevancy 108.81%

I have searched to see if this was asked before without any success. Maybe someone has run into this problem before.
When I open "my computer" or "control panel" after I close it...it automatically goes into Internet Explorer as a blank page. Most of the time, when I close the IE blank page...it stops responding and I have the control-alt-delete to "end the program"
Thanks in advance for any help.

A:closing "my computer" or "Control Panel" open internet explorer window

Possibly malware - anything openning ie on its own raises an alarm in my books. Post a HJT log to the malware removal section of the forum and let the experts take a look at it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/closing-my-computer-or-control-panel-open-internet-explorer-window.658783/
Relevancy 108.81%

Hi TechGuy I m having some recent problems on my laptop When I log-in and start using it the Solved: process running, "Generic.dx" open, "Explorer.exe" keeps IE intermittently Windows performance starts slowing down When I look at the Task Manager I notice that the task called Explorer exe takes up a lot of my CPU In a couple of minutes I also start getting Internet Explorer windows to pop-up on my screen I normally use Firefox with advertisements suggesting that my computer is infected and some software downloads that could help I recently installed McAfee Total Works or whatever they call their -in- software which is supposed to do it all I ran several scans and on some of them if did Solved: "Explorer.exe" process keeps running, IE Windows intermittently open, "Generic.dx" find and disable the Generic dx trojan Even though it claims it is doing something I don t notice any changes - Explorer exe continues to bog me down and the IE windows keep popping up to the point that I cannot use my computer effectively anymore IBM T- laptop about three and a half years old Microsoft XP-Professional Any pointers would be truly appreciated Thanks Sandjosh nbsp

A:Solved: "Explorer.exe" process keeps running, IE Windows intermittently open, "Generic.dx"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-explorer-exe-process-keeps-running-ie-windows-intermittently-open-generic-dx.602607/
Relevancy 108.81%

Just this really. And then I have to go to task manager and close it down and open it again but I can't get any work done as I can't save anything. I just installed the windows 8.1 patch two days ago. Any ideas anyone?

A:Word stops working when I press "save" or "save as"

Hey tra,

Go into control panel's uninstall programs section, find office, and select 'change'. Click repair, restart, and let me know if that helps.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/39264-word-stops-working-when-i-press-save-save.html
Relevancy 108.5%

Ok so im new here so hey everybody to the point my laptop is quot stuttering quot lagging skipping whatever you wanna call it its doing it my video music report (PLEASE event have HELP) Whole .. viewer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" computer and cursor skip every second for a splt second it starts on start-up and dont stop til i turn my laptop off it happens in a pattern its not random ive done checked my Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE HELP) drivers spyware and m RAM is good so can someone please help me could it be because my battery wont hold a charger so it has to be hooked up to the charger at ALL times or it dies Example is the charger not got the quot juice quot to run the laptop by itself so it studders skips i dont know if this has anything to do with my problem but i ran quot event viewer quot and found this The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Cdrom Imapi redbook PLEASE HELP nbsp

A:Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE HELP)

**(DONT KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP..)***

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 502 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 39723 MB, Free - 23484 MB; D: Total - 12684 MB, Free - 3633 MB;

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/whole-computer-studders-skips-lags-have-event-viewer-report-please-help.981932/
Relevancy 108.19%

ok!!!!!!!!!! what is it and how do i fix it,,,, eyes crossed knees woobly help?????????????????????

A:[Solved] mplay32.exe,1"/play/close"%L"." and sndrec32.exe"%L"."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-mplay32-exe-1-play-close-l-and-sndrec32-exe-l.197498/
Relevancy 108.19%

I just resolved an issue I had with the wireless connectivity of my Acer notebook computer and now I am getting strange error messages. When I try (not every instance) to open device manager I will get the message "Failed to open empty document." From there I will occasionally get "Parser" messages that say "Value creation failed at line 843" or "line 422." I read what I could find about these messages and it points to MMC as the cause. How do I go about fixing this annoying problem if anyone knows?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/failed-to-open-empty-document-parser-error-messages.653756/
Relevancy 108.19%

HI i got infected with quot vbs quot through someone's usb i ran quot Flash Disinfector quot then installed quot kaspersky quot scaned the whole computer it also deleted open used & drive "vbs", on unable with folders "Flash_Disinfector" to hard infected vbs trojan However after that when i tried to open my computer by clicking on its icon it did not open i tried to open it fron strat up but the result was same all others like my documents etc were all right i open my computer through my documents opened my c drive when i tried to open further any folder present infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open present in the C drive it gave me the error i am including the error meggage in attachment howerever all my folders were not having any shortcut sign amp it was same with all folders present in all my drives infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open but when i wrote the name of the folder in the address bar it opened normaly infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open so now i cannot open my computer through its icon plus all the folders present in my hard drive please help me to sort this thing out

A:infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open

Hello and Welcome.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link I'll give you below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/infected-with-vbs-used-flash_disinfector-and-folders-on-hard-drive-unable-to-open-468303.html
Relevancy 108.19%

I installed some software to assist me in converting .pdf docs. I didn't keep the name of the software but did uninstall it via control panel.

I now have mulitiple "File" menu entries: 29 entries between "open" and "save". The entires are all idenical, "Open PDF"

Nothing happens when I click on them. How can I remove them from my "File" menu?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mulitiple-file-menu-entries-open-pdf-in-word-2003.811408/
Relevancy 108.19%

Windows XP SP2

Ok, I tried some things in other threads but to no avail. But some threads are having my same problems. First this about:blank crap is always my home page even if I change it, as well as these porn links in my favorites list. I've run scans with 5 different virus/ adware scan programs but it doesn't fix it. However, it got even worse-- I can no longer open things like My Computer, My Documents or even Control Panel to try and uninstall software. When I try to open any folder my computer freezes temp. and I get the following message: "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

PLEASE Somebody help me. I have hijack this, if that helps. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

A:Solved: I can't open anything "Dr. wtsn error" & I can't remove "blank: about" adware.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-i-cant-open-anything-dr-wtsn-error-i-cant-remove-blank-about-adware.340831/
Relevancy 108.19%

infected with quot vbs quot used quot Flash folders with on hard don't open afte infected all "vbs", drive "Flash_Disinfector" Disinfector quot amp folders on hard drive unable to open HI i got infected with quot vbs quot through someone's usb i ran quot Flash Disinfector quot then installed quot kaspersky quot scaned the whole computer it also deleted vbs trojan However after that when i infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open tried to open my computer by clicking on its icon it did not open i tried to open it fron strat up but the result was same all others like my documents etc were all right i open my computer through my documents opened my c drive when i tried to open further any folder present present in the C drive it gave me the error that is this item quot vbs quot that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut will no longer work properly Do you want to delete this shortcut infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open Howerever all my folders were not having any shortcut sign amp it was same with all folders present in all my drives but when i wrote the name of the folder in the address bar it opened normaly so now i cannot open my computer through its icon plus all the folders present in my hard drive please help me to sort this thing out dds DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Nadeem Ahmad at on Sat Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT AV Kaspersky Anti-Virus On-access scanning disabled Updated C D BC - - -A F -E C Running Processes C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe c program files idt wdm STacSV exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons QlbCtrl exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C Program Files Apoint K ApMsgFwd exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync Wcescomm exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C PROGRA MI AA rapimgr exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C Program Files Symantec Norton Ghost GhostStartService exe C Program Files Intel Intel R Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Intel Intel R Management Engine Components UNS UNS exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static ccc exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons Com QLBEx exe C Documents and Settings Nadeem Ahmad Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www msn com uDefault Page URL hxxp www msn com uInternet Connection Wizard ShellNext wmplayer exe ICWLaunch uInternet Settings ProxyServer socks uWindows Load quot c windows system smss exe vbs quot BHO HelperObject Class c d-c - c - -fce ad c - c program files techsmith snagit SnagItBHO dll BHO QvodExtend ac - de - - a e-a af add - c program files qvodplayer QvodExtend dll BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - c - d -b f - bbc d a e - c progra micros office GRA E DLL BHO MSN Toolbar Helper d ce e -f a- - e- dc f c f - c program files msn toolbar msneshellx dll BHO Ask Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll TB SnagIt ff e -abde- eb-b e-d aab cabe - c program files techsmith snagit SnagItIEAddin dll TB MSN Toolbar e ed c- cb - d -b e -ab c c - c program files msn toolbar msneshellx dll TB Ask Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll TB FF E -ABDE- EB-B E-D AAB CABE - No File TB BC A- - D - AC -E B A BA C - No File uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe uRun H PC Connection Agent quot c program files ... Read more

A:infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open

Hello buct,

It will require more than 1 round to clean the system. Please stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms seem to abate.

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT- Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

====================================================

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications as they will interfere with our tools and the removal.

====================================================

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.

As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/infected-with-vbs-afte-flash_disinfector-all-folders-on-hard-drive-dont-open-468423.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Using Word 2007, I am unable to pin the "New" and "Open" Word Document to the Start Menu. I was able to do this in XP and Vista. I go to "All Programs" and can load Word but cannot find the options new/open. In Word I go to "Word Options" and it is not listed there either. Thanks.

A:Pinning "New" and "Open" Word document to start menu

Quote: Originally Posted by ADKR

Using Word 2007, I am unable to pin the "New" and "Open" Word Document to the Start Menu. I was able to do this in XP and Vista. I go to "All Programs" and can load Word but cannot find the options new/open. In Word I go to "Word Options" and it is not listed there either. Thanks.

ADKR,
I note that you have posted this question in Microsoft's Discussion Groups - Windows 7 - Word 2007 in Word General Questions.
Some reasonable replies were given to you that you didn't respond to. Did you actually try them?

This Tutorial written by our Brink would seem to be a reasonable alternative for you to use.
Quick Launch - Enable or Disable

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/77659-pinning-new-open-word-document-start-menu.html
Relevancy 106.95%

For some time now, double clicking on a folder no longer opens it as usual. Instead, double clicking on a folder causes a separate Explorer Search window to open, with that folder's name under the "search in" tab. In fact, when i right click on a folder, the first and bold-faced option is "search", as opposed to "open". So to open any folder I have to right click it and hit open, which is slow and annoying. I cleaned out my registry, spyware, viruses, everything, and still this problem persists. I also checked the Mouse control panel, nothing there.

Anyone know what's going on with my computer?

A:Help! Double-clicking on folders prompts "search", not "open"

Hi

Open "My Documents", go into Tools>Folder Options and under General>Browse Folders choose Open each folder in the same window. Save that and then goto View>Explorer Bar> and click Folders.

See if its better now.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-double-clicking-on-folders-prompts-search-not-open-140931.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Hello guys,

I don't know what I did, but nothing happens when I click on those two things in the search bar:

View image: wtf

I reinstalled Windows a few hours ago, and IIRC pressing those with the mouse lead somewhere. Now when I click on them, it does nothing. I have to type in "Settings", so I can click on the actual Windows App. Then I can navigate to those settings. IIRC those results were "clickable".

Can somebody help?

Thanks in advance!

A:Can't open "Windows Update Settings" or "Check for Updates"

Hello iamnewhere,

If you like, here's a Windows Update shortcut to use for now until hopefully an update will sort it for you.

Windows Update Shortcut - Create in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/44735-cant-open-windows-update-settings-check-updates.html
Relevancy 106.95%

I have looked around for help on this issue and havn t been able to find a resolution that works I think because I havn t been able to find any imformation on my specific issue I am one of the most computer literate people I know so when a co-worker mentioned to me that he was having problems with his computer I agreed to look at it His problem was simple he had Windows off" repair "open with" (userinit.exe) "logs Solved: after a lot of viruses I have cleared most however I assume not all viruses and instinces of spyware The computer worked fine for Solved: Windows "logs off" after "open with" repair (userinit.exe) a little while while I did some final checks on his computer then the problems started He has a Dell Inspiron m Laptop running Windows XP Pro Service tag sk As far as I can tell he has not added or upgraded it in any way He only has some basic programs I know that the issues might have something to do with his wireless He is running the Intel PRO Wireless BG The computer is getting stop errors BSOD The first one was called DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL Stop x D amd listed the file w n sys which upon further study turned out to be a file related to his wireless I have already updated the drivers and reinstalled the program with the latest versions on the Intel website I also noticed though with not frequent the stop error with the same name and stop code but which listed the NDIS sys file which upon further study turned out to be a system utility and now I have gotten a stop error of x A IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL but without a listed file I have tried without success to repair the problem but I havn t been able to find something that could fix it I am very computer literate and know what I am doing mostly but when it comes to the more advanced items I might need some guidance Also I suspect that this might be unrelated but there is still an issue on his computer which I suspect might be a virus but havn t been able to download a good virus software program because of these stop errors For some reason when I attempt to open the C drive his only drive from My Computer it opens up the quot Open With quot dialog box On right click the quot open quot command has been replaced with some seemingy random characters They dont spell anything that I can figure but do still resemble english letters though with different symols does that make sense its not like quot flklfahsf quot its a number of characters that have no meaning to me I can still quot explore quot the drive by right clicking and have been told that I should look for the autorun ini and the autorun inf files and delete them but they weren t present hidden or visible There was an autorun something cant remember file present but I was reluctant to do anything with it I assume that this is related to some virus but like I said I havn t been able to download norton without the computer stopping before the download finished Any help would be great I can get screenshots of some of these problems or post logs whatever is needed for you to help Any help would be much appreciated both my coworker and I don t make a lot of money so were trying to avoid shop costs Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Windows "logs off" after "open with" repair (userinit.exe)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-logs-off-after-open-with-repair-userinit-exe.686069/
Relevancy 106.95%

OK guys, im kinda new to this forum, so... hello.
My computer has a not so serious problem-When I try to open Local Disk C by double clicking it says:
"
Windows cannot find install.exe.
This program is needed for opening filed of type 'File'.

Type in the executable file to be used instead:

This problem isnt very serious, I just dont want my computer to remain "corrupt" if you know what I mean.

Help my and I will be grateful!

A:Cant open C:/:"Install.exe is needed for opening type of "file""

Hello and Welcome to TSF

Have you scanned your system for viruses lately? What antivirus program is installed on your system?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-c-install-exe-is-needed-for-opening-type-of-file-90046.html
Relevancy 106.95%

safe to assume its impossible to remove the "open" and the "merge" entries from the context menu? I figure if i want to open or merge them i would simply double click. Clutter and redundency in this vein dont suit me :P

A:remove the "open" and "merge" entries from context menu?

Open I don't think so, Merge sounds like it is added by a 3rd party program, and likely can be removed. Have a look at ShellMenuvVew and ShellExView from NirSoft. You can remove entries with both. But Open will not be listed, and I have seen no way to remove it. A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/351643-remove-open-merge-entries-context-menu.html
Relevancy 106.95%

when i right click on my DVD writer i do not get the options "OPEN",EXPLORE & AUTOPLAY"..How do i bring them back?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/missing-open-explore-options-from-context-menu.757322/
Relevancy 106.95%

When I right click on my C & D drive in My Computer the Open and Explore words in in odd characters and clicking on them does nothing. This happened after I used a USB key on another computer that had these characters. How do I fix this?

A:Solved: Right Click C Drive "Open" & "Explore" in odd characters

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-right-click-c-drive-open-amp-explore-in-odd-characters.737273/
Relevancy 106.95%

Hi I have a weird problem.

I'm using vista 64 bit and the thumbnail icons used in the "open file" diagoloue boxes for programs such as word and firefox are missing. It shows up as the unknown file icon. I have tried to rebuild the vista icon cache and that didn't work. All the other icons, the ones on the desktop are fine.

When I try to go into properties to change the icons, it shows the pictures, but doesn't actually change. Also, the little shortcut arrow displays as an unknown file icon. So I have normal icons with a "unknown file" icon in the lower right corner where the shortcut arrow should be.

Can anyone help?

A:vista icons missing in the "open file" boxes

Hello and welcome to the forum, do you know how long this has been going on and have you tried to do a system restore. If you know when you first noticed this you can go back at least 5 days before and do a restore.

I would also run a full AV scan.
Plus download malwarebytes and run a full scan, this way you can rule out any thing such as a virus or malware. Virus's can start small as I am sure you are well aware of.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287521-vista-icons-missing-open-file-boxes.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Are there features on IE8 that allow faster downloading of pictures from web site?

On Opera I can right-click a picture, click "save to download folder" and it downloads the picture immediately, without displaying the "save as" dialog. It also always gives it a unique name without asking me if I want to overwrite.

The Opera method is MUCH faster when saving lots of pictures.

Is there such a feature on IE8?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/save-picture-without-save-as-dialog-box-popping-up-465020.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Hello guys the last week I ve been strugling with these nasty BSODs At first I thought it was my HDDs as ntoskrn exe somewhat hinted towards that from googling it My HDDs have been causing a lot of trouble earlier as well due "ntoskrnl.exe" header", BSOD management", pool "Bad "Memory - to their somewhat long years of service However I ve recently reformated my computer and installed W on a brand new Corsair Force GT GB SSD hoping the BSODs would go away they didn t I googled BSOD - "Memory management", "Bad pool header", "ntoskrnl.exe" BSOD and I stumbled upon this forum and I thought I d give it a try I m somewhat desperate as I need my computer working for both work school and amusement I ve been trying to run Memtest in order to test my memory BSOD - "Memory management", "Bad pool header", "ntoskrnl.exe" but without any results I m also currently running on only on GB chip instead BSOD - "Memory management", "Bad pool header", "ntoskrnl.exe" of two to see if the problem still exists Also without any results This is the second time I m writing this thread btw I was just about to post it and my PC crashed Here is my two logs dxdiag last crash didn t generate a log oddly enough Here is additional hardware gear that I use Razer Megalodon Headset Razer Naga Logitech G Logitech C Webcam Corsair W PSU My temperatures are also good Both CPU and MB idles at around GPU s all good too I m also using a Corsair D chassi with dustfilters at both air-income so dust is minimal On top off this I use airpressure to clean away dust somewhat regularly and I also did exactly this days ago when I reinstalled the pc Thanks in advance nbsp

A:BSOD - "Memory management", "Bad pool header", "ntoskrnl.exe"

Are you over-clocking? Is the bios set to its defaults? Is the SSD set on a SATA 3 port in AHCI mode?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-memory-management-bad-pool-header-ntoskrnl-exe.182278/
Relevancy 106.95%

Ok so I'm using a custom visual style made by another user however I don't really like the buttons used that I mentioned Changing of "minimize" buttons a theme and "close" "maximize" the above The creator states it is acceptable to change the theme to however you like Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme as long as you don't redistribute it anywhere Ok so I opened up the msstyles file using Restorator located in the theme folder of this VS I went into the images directory and located what seems Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme to be the images used for the buttons Intuitively it seems like it would make sense to replace those images with different ones perhaps from another visual style and it should change them However would this actually work Could the theme get messed up in some other way like proportions or something if the new button images are smaller I don't know of any other way to change them that would be easy But I did run into another problem For some visual styles I can't even locate those buttons in the images directory Where else would they be

A:Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme

Use Windows Style Builder to do that...

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/200947-changing-minimize-maximize-close-buttons-theme.html
Relevancy 106.95%

I am using Windows 7 on my laptop and I have question about when to use "Home", "Work" and "Public" profile.

If I am logging in without setting password, and I am logging in network with "Public" profile, then will any other user, who can see my computer, be able to enter my computer and check the contents on my computer ?

I am connecting to a network and there are 6 other users connected to this network. In the set network location window, if I select the netwoek as "Home", does it mean that other 6 users will not be able to see my computer on network and if I use "Public", then all other six users will be able to see my computer on network ?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/when-to-use-home-work-or-public-profile-while-connecting-to-network-478413.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Hi everyone!

Yesterday my HP laptop (Windows 7) started getting BSOD with various types of errors (mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "STOP: 0x0000007A", "c00021a" and one "missing %hs, c0000135"). Most of the time it restarts without any issues and works fine right after the BSOD and then an hour or two later I get a BSOD again.

I have tried restoring to Last Known Good Configuration, startup repair, hard disk check, virus scans and I also uninstalled any recently added programs I could think of and cleared up more than 50% of my hard disk space. None of these seem to have helped and I still get BSOD regularly.

I have attached the folder from the SF Diagnostic Tool and would appreciate any advice!
Thank you!

A:BSOD every few hours: mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "c00021a" & "c0000135"

Welcome to the forum.

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).
------------------------
Upload a screenshot using: CrystalDiskInfo For how to upload a screenshot or file, read here
Test your Hard Drive(s) by running: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure
------------------------
Test and Diagnose RAM Issues with Memtest86+: RAM - Test with Memtest86+

Tip
Pay close attention to Part 3 of the tutorial "If you have errors"
Test the RAM with Memtest86+ for at least 7-10 passes. It may take up to 22 passes to find problems. Make sure to run it once after the system has been on for a few hours and is warm, and then also run it again when the system has been off for a few hours and is cold.

------------------------
Monitor hardware temperature with system monitoring software like Speccy or HWMonitor. Upload a screen shot of the Summary tab as well:Piriform - Speccy
CPUID - HWMonitor
For how to upload a screenshot or file, read here

Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck F4, {3, 87a2e968, 87a2ead4, 83a55cf0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : csrss.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck F4, {3, 87a7bd40, 87a7beac, 83a1fcf0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : csrss.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/307397-bsod-every-few-hours-mostly-stop-0x00000f4-c00021a-c0000135.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Hi all So I'm kind of stuck I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of quot loading files quot - gt quot Windows Boot Manager quot see How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows The Easy Way I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load I also end up at a OneKey Recovery as well unfortunately the laptop does not have initial backup or user backup Manager" -> files Boot ..." "Loading "OneKey" "Windows -> images I have a Windows CD for repairing purposes however I cannot load the BIOS UEFI to change "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" the boot order to load the optical drives first I have also tried to remove the CMOS battery to fix it did not work Also - Windows "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" Boot Manager Windows Setup EMS Enabled -- does not load properly leads to OneKey Recovery Safe Mode does not load properly Safe Mode with Networking does not load properly Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't load - tries to boot and load all files onto partition that is too small can't change partition Enable Boot Logging Enable Low-Resolution Video Debugging MOde Disable automatic restart on system failure Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Display Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver Start Windows Normally Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55670-loading-files-windows-boot-manager-onekey.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Example sentence: vrytim I prss ths kys, nothing happns. Now I'm writing with my on-sreen keyboard. I'm clueless when it comes to computer stuff. How do I fix this? Is this a software problem, or a hardware problem?Help is much appreciated!

A:Kyboard deos not respond to the keys: "e", "d", "c" and "3"

My keyboard hath the thame problem with the thupid eth key. The blathted thing ith driving me nutth.

All theriousneth...er...seriousness aside, usually, that is a hardware problem. Can you find or borrow another keyboard and see if it will work correctly on your machine?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/311639-kyboard-deos-not-respond-keys-e-d-c-3-a.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Using XP Pro with Internet Explorer 7. I used to be able to save pictures to My Documents/My pictures by clicking on picture and having a dialog box come up with choices for saving. About three weeks ago the dialog box stopped popping up when I tried to save a picture.

I uninstalled IE 7 and reverted bact to IE 6. The dialog box then reappeared when trying to save. I don't know or can't find instructions to correct problem with IE 7.

Any help or advice is welcomed and appreciated.

A:Solved: No "Save As" Dialog Box

FIX: Windows Internet Explorer 7 does not display a "Save As" dialog box when a script that uses the ExecCommand function together with the SaveAs command runs on a Windows XP-based computer and on a Windows Server 2003-based computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929863

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-no-save-as-dialog-box.711348/
Relevancy 106.95%

A new, very odd problem: whenever I select File/Save As, then click on the down arrow in the Save in box, my choices are shown for less than a half-second...then it reverts to the current selection. If I make the selection super-fast, it'll work correctly, but what a pain! Any ideas would be appreciated.

win XP, SP2.

Thanks!

Dave

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/save-as-dialog-box-problem-210442.html
Relevancy 106.64%

For some reason, only when I'm using the open dialog box for a program such as winamp, word, etc. (not when browsing in Explorer), I end up starting from the end of the list working up to the file folders instead of the other way around, as I've organized it to be.

Does anyone know of an option change that may have caused this, and how to change it back? Thanks in advance for your support.

A:Dialog Open Box Reverses the Alphabetical and "By File" Order (RESOLVED)

T^T Help me?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dialog-open-box-reverses-the-alphabetical-and-by-file-order-resolved-147052.html
Relevancy 106.64%

I wrote a vb script, and I am trying to run it with a batch file.

Everytime the batch file access it, the user must press "Open" to access the script.

This is opposite of what I want, I want it to silently install in the background without any user intervention necessary.

I have the script on a network drive which everyone can access.

I am putting the batch file into everyone's startup folder.

I just need help with the arguments needed to make it automatically accept the risk and open it anyways.

Here is a generic sample of my batch file:

"@echo off
\\server\share\adlogon_user.vbs /quiet /passive /norestart
exit"
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Solved: Need Help Bypassing "Open File - Security Wanring" Dialog Box

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-need-help-bypassing-open-file-security-wanring-dialog-box.998813/
Relevancy 106.64%

Hey guys!

I'm getting this error when I try to upload my resume on to a website and so I'm unable to do any uploading:

"you cannot close microsoft office word because a dialog box is open office 2007"

I've had this error before and last time I deleted a windows update (can't remember what) but I'm afraid that it might have came back (blame it on the wife ). Anyways this error is linked to Norton which I don't use (using Avast).

using windows 7 (x64), office 2007, reproduces on all browsers. No processes that deal with office is running.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to get rid of this it would be lots of help. THanks.

A:"you cannot close microsoft office word because a dialog box is open"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/you-cannot-close-microsoft-office-word-because-a-dialog-box-is-open.941937/
Relevancy 106.64%

Some months ago I posted the following question and received a good working answer. Since that time I have upgraded to Windows 2000 from Win98. The previous procedure now no longer seems to work. Here is the problem as previously stated: When I run excel 97 and click on the “open” command the dialogue box shows a default choice for “files of type”. The default is "microsoft excel files" and I wish to change this default to “all files.” I know how to do this manually by selecting “all files” in the drop down menu, but want to avoid this step.
Any suggestions?

A:change default "files of type" in open dialog box

This is for XL2000

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=213755

Don't know if it's any good for you though....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-files-of-type-in-open-dialog-box.254681/
Relevancy 106.64%

When I run excel 97 and click on the “open” command the dialogue box shows a default choice for “files of type”. The default is "microsoft excel files" and I wish to change this default to “all files.” I know how to do this manually by selecting “all files” in the drop down menu, but want to avoid this step.

A:change default "files of type" in open dialog box

I asked somewhere else for you, rag, and they gave downright explicit instructions. Try it out:

Step 1
Close any open workbooks.

Step 2
Create a new workbook.

Step 3
Go to the VBE, and in the Project Explorer, click on VBAProject(Personal.xls).
Notes (in case anyone reading this does not know):
To get to the VBE, click on Tools > Macro > Visual Basic Editor, or press Alt+F11.
If the Project Explorer is not visible, while in the VBE click View > Project Explorer, or press Ctrl+R.
If you do not already have a Personal.xls project created, then create one, and return to Step 1. See Excel’s on line help for creating a Personal workbook.

Step 4
While in VBE with the Personal.xls project selected, click Insert > Module, and paste this in:

Sub Open_File()
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogOpen).Show Arg1:="*.*"
End Sub

Step 5
Click View > Microsoft Excel, or press Alt+F11.

Step 6
Click on Tools > Customize > Commands tab.

Step 7
With the Customize dialog box open, click on File from the worksheet menu bar. This will pull down the File menu options, and at the same time, enable the "Modify Selection" button on the Commands tab of the Customize dialog box.

Step 8
Click "Open" on the File menu, then click the "Modify Selection" button on the Customize dialog box. In the Name field, you should see something like "&Open…". So far so good.

Step 9
Click "Assign Macro…", then click "PERSONAL.XLS!Open_File", and click OK.

Step 10
Assuming you have the Standard toolbar visible on the sheet, click on the Open icon, and repeat Step 8 and Step 9. One note, at this point, the Name field might say "Open" without the ampersand. That is normal.

Step 11
Click the "Close" button on the Customize dialog box.

Step 12
From the File menu, click Exit. If you are prompted to save changes to Personal.xls, choose Yes. If you are prompted to save changes for any other workbook (Book1.xls or whatever), choose No.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-default-files-of-type-in-open-dialog-box.108305/
Relevancy 106.64%

I wrote a vb script, and I am trying to run it with a batch file.

Everytime the batch file access it, the user must press "Open" to access the script.

This is opposite of what I want, I want it to silently install in the background without any user intervention necessary.

I have the script on a network drive which everyone can access.

I am putting the batch file into everyone's startup folder.

I just need help with the arguments needed to make it automatically accept the risk and open it anyways.

Here is a generic sample of my batch file:

"@echo off
\\server\share\adlogon_user.vbs /quiet /passive /norestart
exit"
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Need Help Bypassing "Open File - Security Wanring" Dialog Box

closing duplicate, please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/software-development/998813-need-help-bypassing-open-file.html . Please do not create duplicate threads for the same issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-bypassing-open-file-security-wanring-dialog-box.998815/
Relevancy 106.64%

I have double entries of a same program in the main "Open With" dialog box. They are not particularly associated with a certain file extension. Dose anyone know how to delete one of them?

--Xuantu

A:How to remove a program entry from the general "Open With" dialog box?

Hello Xuantu, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You can navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\OpenWithList in the registry, and delete the subkeys (boxed in red below) for the Open With entries you do not want.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/225214-how-remove-program-entry-general-open-dialog-box.html
Relevancy 106.33%

Hello all Frustrating problem All Office apps require a second delay to produce an quot open quot or quot save as quot dialog box when the computer is connected to a LAN wireless or wired domain or workgroup When the computer is NOT connected to a LAN wireless or wired domain or workgroup then Office quot open quot or quot save as quot dialog boxes open normally and quickly I suspect a network polling function internal to MS Office is Slow Connected When Office "Open" Network Show To Dialog To Box 2010 at fault This is NOT the infamous mapped network drive problem associated with Office There are no mapped drives nor have there ever Office 2010 Slow To Show "Open" Dialog Box When Connected To Network been on the PC although there might exist Office 2010 Slow To Show "Open" Dialog Box When Connected To Network a related solution Additionally there is no second delay when opening a file by double-clicking on the file itself which will launch the application Other information PC runs Windows Pro bit - PC is a relatively new Lenovo T laptop all updates from Lenovo and MS installed running clean and nicely otherwise no spyware no viruses no previous software or hardware issues requiring assistance Event log is clean Absolutely fresh installation of Office Pro Plus MS Action Pack Running Office apps in safe mode does not alter problem behavior ie quot windword exe safe quot or use CTRL key and double-click to launch app Running Windows in safe mode with networking and then subsequently testing Office apps is not possible quot license not able to validate quot issue This is a known problem and is not related to the slow dialog box response behavior A desktop PC with the same MS Office installation same volume license key on the same network does NOT produce this problem Full uninstall reboot and re-install of Office does not alleviate problem Disabling ALL startup items and services including of course ALL Lenovo management software does not alleviate problem SMB v bug is not the problem ie disabling mrxsmb service does not alleviate symptoms Disabling quot Client for Microsoft Networks quot quot QOS Packet Scheduler quot quot Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I O Driver quot and Responder and quot Printer and File Sharing for MS Networks quot in the network adapter properties does not alleviate the symptoms Using Sysinternals Registry Monitor I was able to determine that Office apps evaluate certain properties of your Internet Explorer settings before attempting to launch the quot open quot or quot save as quot dialog box Altering the way intranets are detected for example does not alleviate the symptoms Turning off Antivirus software Avira Personal does not alleviate the issue This issue is causing a huge loss of work efficiency Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you for your time Sincerely Rick

A:Office 2010 Slow To Show "Open" Dialog Box When Connected To Network

Have you tried blocking all network activity with some Internet Security package for those Office applications, which do not use Internet?

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/166417-office-2010-slow-show-open-dialog-box-when-connected-network.html
Relevancy 106.02%

I have Internet Explorer 7 with my Windows Vista Home Premium and I have two probelms:
1. I can't use the save target as function, it is always disabled. My mouse will be over a link and in the status bar it will show a direct link to a file, but I still won't be able to do it.
2. The Content Advisor has been eneabled sinse I got my laptop and I can't get the password to turn it off, as I didn't set it. It gives the hint "Dell" every time.

If you can help me it would be appreciated.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie7-save-target-as-and-content-advisor-194130.html
Relevancy 106.02%

Whenever I perform a "Save As..." or a "Save File" (e.g. with an email attachment), the pop-up save menu always defaults to NOT displaying the navigation pane(s) showing the existing folders/files in the target folder - see thumbnail below left.

To view the folder tree and folder/file list (see thumbnail below right), you have to click on the "Browse Folders" button at the bottom left.

Is there a registry hack or other setting that will reverse this setting for me?

P.S. This problem appears to occur when the application uses the standard Win7 explorer for the save - when using Photoshop, for example, it happily displays the folders and images etc.

A:How to default to "Browse Folders" on "Save as.."

Which version of Internet Explorer do you have? Is it 8, 9, or 10? I only have 8 and I didn't see any way of changing this in there and mine does not do what yours does, so I'm thinking that you have either 9 or 10. If you do, then I will install the version you have and take a look.

You see, this kind of thing can be changed in other browsers like Firefox, and it has been possible for as long as I can remember (several years).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/296021-how-default-browse-folders-save.html
Relevancy 106.02%

I have office 2004 for XP and when I open some of my existing documents to edit, they become unresponsive and the title bar blinks,,,I have to bring up task manager to close it, but it says it cannot close because there is an open dialog active...what does that mean and how do I fix this??

Relevancy 106.02%

Hi, quick question, how do you remove programs from the list in the "Open with" dialog box (see attachment)?

Thank you!

Relevancy 106.02%

I use a program called Mudlet version in How Default Dialog" "File to to Last Open set Location order to play a MUD That program has some interactions with the Windows file API the details of which I do How to set Default "File Open Dialog" to Last Location not know What I do know is that the authors of the program have stated explicitly that Mudlet does NOT save the last file location it was at As such its default behavior when opening the quot File Open quot dialog is to go to its own root directory However on my Laptop this is not how it behaves How to set Default "File Open Dialog" to Last Location My Desktop on the other hand behaves as expected I can open up he file dialog and it will always start in the same root directory On my Laptop it How to set Default "File Open Dialog" to Last Location will open up to the last place I opened a file from in Mudlet They both run Windows so I'm not sure what the difference is I would like for my Desktop to mimic the Laptop in its behavior as it's by far more convenient but without knowing what's different or what setting I might have accidentally changed there's little I can do Thoughts

A:How to set Default "File Open Dialog" to Last Location

You might try this: Create a shortcut to a "placeholder" file [which stays there, undisturbed] in your desired folder. Within that shortcut properties: add the desired folder path in the Start In blank. Add the path/filename of Mudlet's EXE to the left of the placeholder file. Every time you click that icon, Mudlet automatically will go there. Example: "path/EXE" "path/placeholder file"
But, before you do all that: simply add the desired folder path in the Start In blank within Mudlet's icon. That just might be all you need to do.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/61415-how-set-default-file-open-dialog-last-location.html
Relevancy 106.02%

It is so incredibly annoying. When it pops up (i.e. to remind me to backup my system), I can't clear the box. It stays on top of everything until a reboot. Even an end-task on explorer.exe won't get rid of it.

It's happened now on two different PC's running x64 ultimate - so I assume this is a known bug?

A:"Open Action Center" dialog box won't clear

What does this do?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/80921-open-action-center-dialog-box-wont-clear.html
Relevancy 106.02%

The problem is that I get the “Open With” dialog every time I double click any drive in My Computer. I had to select Explorer from Open With dialog to open the drives; Or any other normal ways to access my drives. I think it caused by a virus or something like that, because I reinstall my windows and the problem didn't solve.
Please help me !!!

A:Get "open with" dialog when opening Windows drives!

Hi hooman_us

Did you reinstall Windows over itself or delete the partitions, reformat and then install Windows?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/get-open-with-dialog-when-opening-windows-drives.585065/
Relevancy 106.02%

Huh, what's going on here.
My computer lets me browse the network just fine and even sees everything there is to see. However, when I want to say, mount a DVD from a networked computer for example, the Network icon is nowhere to be found on the Open File or Folder dialog window.

Going back to the root level (from the path bar in the very same window) lets me see all the usual stuff: drives, homegroup and such but once again, no network.

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find any solution to this and it seems like a very silly thing to remove from the OS.

I hope it's just me being blind and I really appreciate any information you guys can share on this subject.

(Using Windows 7 RC1 64-bit, in the same network with two Vista 64 computers.)

A:No Network in "Open File or Folder" dialog?

Mount a DVD - using which software?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/10547-no-network-open-file-folder-dialog.html
Relevancy 106.02%

I repeatedly get this message:

"You cannot close Microsoft Office Word because a dialog box is open. Click OK, switch to Word, then close the dialog box."

I don't find any open dialog box. Ever. Not sure what they're referring to. How do I delete this? Thanks!

A:MS Office Word doc "dialog box open" issue

Try minimizing Word and see if there is a box behind Word!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-office-word-doc-dialog-box-open-issue.1009805/
Relevancy 105.4%

When a download is complete, the dialog box opens, announcing "Download Complete" and when I Click the "Open Folder" button the "Download Complete" dialog box closes but the Target Folder doesn’t not open. First noticed this after SP3 in this XP Home environment.

Where’s the “Honor the 'Open Folder' button” setting to get this functionality back?

Relevancy 105.4%

Hello everyone I've run or "Control "My nothing open displays. Computer" Panel" I When into an issue that I can't seem to find answer to on the net When I open My Computer Control Panel or any folder no files or directories display after first there is a green loading bar on the address When I open "My Computer" or "Control Panel" nothing displays. bar and little magnifying glasses searching icon on the left side directories but never displays anything The files I can see in other folders are unable to be opened and have When I open "My Computer" or "Control Panel" nothing displays. white blank page icons next to them I can still run application so I'm not sure what the issue is I ran a scan for virus with nothing found and I have also ran a windows update but have When I open "My Computer" or "Control Panel" nothing displays. not restarted my PC yet Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you PC Desktop Custom Build OS Windows Ultimate x C PU Intel Core i - k GHz Motherboard Asus p z -v pro Memory gb Graphics Card s NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti Hard Drives P M -CT M SSD ATA P WDC WD EARX- PASB ATA

A:When I open "My Computer" or "Control Panel" nothing displays.

Please run this and tell me the results following option 2 in this tutorial:

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/330569-when-i-open-my-computer-control-panel-nothing-displays.html
Relevancy 105.4%

Hi I m a new-commer and have been following this thread avidly and taking everyone s advice as I too have identicle problem to Chaz and other bloke i e my PC XP is open taking "My ages XP and to "Explorer" Computer" very slow shows torch when you open quot My Computer quot XP "My Computer" and "Explorer" taking ages to open for secs and when I use Explorer takes ages to find a web address so I m using Firefox which is fine Been bothering me for months tried RWnewson s registry and didn t work i don t have Created shortcut direct to C drive to bypass quot My Computer quot delay however while this works PC is becoming worse as when I move any files from one folder to another within the C drive the PC can t cope and stops responding HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanc ed quot NoNetCrawling quot dword anyway My computer is not part of a home network nor does it say searching when I open My computer This did all start when I installed software for new digital camera and webcam Uninstalled cameras but still runs slow Bugger Help Tried registry cleaner and various virus killers There is nothing threatening Interestingly when I end process for sychost exe everything works fine but then Windows closes down in seconds PLEASE HELP You all seem interested in Hyjack this report so here is mine Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS System DRIVERS CDANTSRV EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C Program Files Thomson SpeedTouch USB Dragdiag exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mm tray exe C Documents and Settings DELL Application Data Spyware Doctor swdoctor exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www wanadoo co uk iesearch default htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www wanadoo co uk R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer Provided By Wanadoo O - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - C DOCUME DELL APPLIC SPYWAR tools iesdsg dll O - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - C DOCUME DELL APPLIC SPYWAR tools iesdpb dll O - Toolbar Wanadoo - B D- FD- -B C- A F EE - C WINDOWS system WSBar dll O - HKLM Run SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics quot C Program Files Thomson SpeedTouch USB Dragdiag exe quot icon O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run MMTray quot C Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mm tray exe quot O - HKCU Run Spyware Doctor quot C Documents and Settings DELL Application Data Spyware Doctor swdoctor exe quot Q O - Extra context menu item Search with Wanadoo - res C WINDOWS system WSBar dll VSearch htm O - Extra button Spyware Doctor - D D A- - D -A A - C B E E - C DOCUME DELL APPLIC SPYWAR tools iesdpb dll O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip B - BDC- D -A - F C F AB NameServer nbsp

A:XP "My Computer" and "Explorer" taking ages to open

assuming you ran spyware and adaware cleanups, i would suggest reinstalling windows..... Windows (every version) will eventually slow down and not respond, act very unstable, not cooperate, and eventually it will commit suicide and give you major blue screens. then the computer has problems booting... a reinstall (a fresh reinstall preferebly) would probably fix it.....

could you post your system specs? that may help a little bit...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-my-computer-and-explorer-taking-ages-to-open.411678/
Relevancy 105.4%

Hello there when the desktop loads up I get this strange message quot Open With Choose the program you want to use to open this file File Media quot Does anyone have any ideas why I have a screenshot of the programs which run at startup I have a HiJackThis log With: ?" bit, 7 32 when "Open Media" up comes Windows loading "File: if it helps Code Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Windows 7 32 bit, when loading "Open With: ?" "File: Media" comes up Normal Running processes C Windows system taskhost exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Logitech SetPointP SetPoint exe C Program Files VIA VIAudioi VDeck VDeck exe C Program Files COMODO COMODO Internet Security cfp exe C Program Files Acronis OnlineBackupStandalone TrueImageMonitor exe C Windows 7 32 bit, when loading "Open With: ?" "File: Media" comes up Program Files Acronis TrueImageHome TrueImageMonitor exe C Program Files Common Files Acronis Schedule schedhlp exe C Program Files Common Files LogiShrd KHAL KHALMNPR EXE C Program Files HP HP Software Update hpwuschd exe C Windows system rundll exe C Users Media Centre AppData Local Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm RoboTaskBarIcon exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Ink InputPersonalization exe C Windows system mspaint exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Program Files HiJackThis Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page Bing R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page MSN com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL MSN com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL Bing R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page Bing R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page MSN com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - BHO HP Print Enhancer - C E- - -BF - C - C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Increase performance and video formats for your HTML lt video gt - E D- - FD- C - A F - C Program Files DivX DivX Plus Web Player npdivx dll O - BHO Use the DivX Plus Web Player to watch web videos with less interruptions and smoother playback on supported sites - DDEC - - cdd- E - DADAA E - C Program Files DivX DivX Plus Web Player npdivx dll O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack Search Helper SEPsearchhelperie dll O - BHO RoboForm BHO - d a - d - d - - e a - C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm roboform dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Windows Live Messenger Companion Helper - FDDE B- F- -AB F- CBEFF - C Program Files Windows Live Companion companioncore dll O - BHO URLRedirectionBHO - B F A - E - -BA - B E FF - C PROGRA MICROS Office URLREDIR DLL O - BHO Bing Bar BHO - d ce e -f a- - e- dc f c f - C Program Files MSN Toolbar Platform npwinext dll O - BHO HP Smart BHO Class - FFFFFFFF-CF E- F B-BDC - E E A - C Program Files HP Digital Imaging Smart Web Printing hpswp BHO dll O - Toolbar amp RoboForm - d a - d - d - - e a - C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm roboform dll O - Toolbar C Program Files MSN Toolbar Platform npwinext dll - - dcb -df - - - fa b f - C Program Files MSN Toolbar Platform npwinext d... Read more

A:Windows 7 32 bit, when loading "Open With: ?" "File: Media" comes up

There must be an error with one of the startup settings.
Please use Autoruns by Sysinternals/Microsoft to see more info about Programs loading with your system.
Pay attention to Logon tab.

Looks like for some reason it is trying to load a folder as a file. "Media" is a part of a folder path.
Try to uncheck all values,where Media is a part of the path.

Also, please check for viruses with Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool Download
or Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a free download that removes viruses and malware from your computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/165917-windows-7-32-bit-when-loading-open-file-media-comes-up.html
Relevancy 105.4%

here a stumper for me. . . maybe one of you knows how to fix it...

when in my computer, if i double click on any of the drives, it opens up a search window instead of opening the folder! its sooo annoying. I have to right click and select 'open' every time.

if i right click, the menu opens there and 'search' is on the top in bold instead of 'open'.

i dont know how i messed it up, but if you know how to change the default action.
PLEASE HELP!!!

thanks in advance for any help

-kio

SOLVED THANK YOU THANK YOU!

A:default action "search" instead of "open"?! (in my computer)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-action-search-instead-of-open-in-my-computer.643863/