Windows Support Forum

How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro)

Q: How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro)

I am not sure how to do this I originally had XP and added another drive installing windows professional bit and have a dual boot system I transferred or saved all of the data from the XP drive and want to format it however it will not allow me to format it I boot up on drive C which is w but can select to boot up on drive D which is XP I have attached screen shot of the disk manager but Disk is D is NTFS Healthy System Active Primary Partition which is the windows XP drive Disk is C is NTFS Healthy Boot Page File Active Crash Dump Primary pro) on drive (windows system boot 7 dual to (windows How xp) format Partition which is the w p drive How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro) Not sure how to do this without loosing the w p drive I thought about unplugging the w p drive and How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro) booting from the w p disk but not sure how that would work when plugging the original w p drive back in Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro)

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How to format drive (windows xp) on dual boot system (windows 7 pro)

I'd guess your problem is that you want to boot from C and format D, but Windows frowns at that when it sees that D contains your system files.

This probably happened because you left the XP drive connected when you installed Windows 7 to the other drive.

I also suspect that if you disconnect the D drive you can't boot at all from C. Is that correct? That would also be because your system files are on D.

If your system files were on C, I think you could then boot from C with D disconnected.

And you should also then be able to boot from C and format D.

You can use an application like BCDedit to copy system files from C to D.

Or you may be able to do it by disconnecting D and running system repair from a Windows install DVD--you may have to run it several times.

Others may have more ideas. That's my best guess just looking at the pic you posted.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/396721-how-format-drive-windows-xp-dual-boot-system-windows-7-pro.html
Relevancy 80.6%

I am unexperinte with partitions and boots on Windows amp and other systems too I had installed Windows x system? to Dual with Boot drive 7 Windows a How format ultimate on my computer in a GB hard drive I bought a new TB HD and created partitions two with GB and another with GB I copied my system from GB drive to the first GB partition on my new HD How to format a drive with Windows 7 Dual Boot system? and had a dual boot system installed How to format a drive with Windows 7 Dual Boot system? my old GB system and my old system copy on my new GB partition I following reinstalled the Windows x system in my second GB in order to reinstall all my programs again to clean up all dirt stuff I had installed since I installed Windows the first time Now I had boots working fine my old system my copy and my new system I in sequence formatted my old system in the GB and did a new boot and what a surprise The system did not boot any How to format a drive with Windows 7 Dual Boot system? more Surprised and desesperated I reinstalled the Windows again on my Gb drive and everything started normally again but I had boots my copy my new system where I was installing my programs again and the system in my Gb HD I looked now on my Disk Management and get the following Disk Drive E GB NTFS Healthy Active Primary Partition my copy Disk Drive C GB NTFS Healthy Boot Page File Crash Dump Primary Partition the system where I am installing my programs again Disk Drive F GB NTFS Healthy System Active Primary Partition I realize that when I did a format in my GB partition it had the system installed and that caused the boot crash My question is the following How can I move the system partition to my Disk in order I am format the disk to use as a data file only I had some things on Google and did some suggested procedures without success Can someone help me on this

A:How to format a drive with Windows 7 Dual Boot system?

Reading your post, all I see is one big mess, & not sure what stage you are at.
From what i can see, your HD Drive layout may be like the screenshot below.

Take a look at this base tutorial:
Help me get windows 7 to boot (again)

But you may like to start afresh with a clean install, with the 1TB HD Drive as Disk0 & the other HD Drive physically disconnect.

You also say you are dual booting, Windows 7 & OS unknown.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/184145-how-format-drive-windows-7-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 95.89%

I added a new drive so that I could dual boot win7 (installed on Drive 0) and Win8 (to be installed on Drive 1, the 3TB one).

When I go to disk management in Windows 7, it sees the disk and wants to know if I want it partitioned and formatted as MBR or GPT....
What do I want for its purpose?? Or...can I simply leave it as is and hope that the new custom install of windows 8 does it for me?

A:Added a new 3TB drive for Windows 8 dual, boot format help

If you want the full 3tb for DATA, set hd drive to GPT.

If you want to install Windows 8 x64 on the HD Drive, you will need a uEFI BIOS & HD Drive set to GPT, Also your Windows 7 HD Drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/14784-added-new-3tb-drive-windows-8-dual-boot-format-help.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi format install system Cant boot drive after old dual all Please bear with me I'm new at this and a little unsure as to exactly what I'm doing A few months Cant format old system drive after dual boot install ago I was having trouble with an incredibly slow system running Vista bit I run some RAM hungry programs so decided I'd try a Win bit system and if it was stable I would then look to increase my RAM beyond GB Apparently my motherboard will take GB of RAM A screen shot of my basic system info is here I obviously now want to stay with Win bit and format the Vista drive for the storage space but have no idea how to make my Win drive the system drive and then format the old Vista drive I hope I've given enough info and my request makes sense I'd be really grateful of a fairly straight forward quot how to quot I'm reasonably savvy and can follow instruction but certainly no expert Many thanks in advance Chris

A:Cant format old system drive after dual boot install

Mark the Windows 7 HD Drive ACTIVE
Partition - Mark as Active
Than
Physically disconnect the old HD.
Make the Windows 7 HD, disk0 & first HD boot in BIOS.Also connected to the first Sata port on the MOBO.

Startup Repair
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

When Windows is booting OK, Reconnect the other two HD, as Disk1.

Mark the Windows Vista HD Drive INACTIVE
Partition - Mark as Inactive

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/264451-cant-format-old-system-drive-after-dual-boot-install.html
Relevancy 88.58%
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi,

I installed windows XP on my computer first and then later on I installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit.
Now I no longer have any use for my windows XP partition.
So I'd like to know how to format it and still be able to use my windows 7.
Both OS's have been installed on the same drive under a different partition.
I must also mention that I lost my original windows 7 install disk.
I've attached a print screen of my disk management.
I hope this is al the information you need.

A:How to format Windows XP on a dual boot with windows 7.

If you wipe out XP, Windows 7 will not boot anymore.

If windows 7 is installed on either of those logical partitions it will have to be made Primary and marked active.

If you own a windows activation key, then download the proper iso and burn to dvd.

Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River ? My Digital Life

Free ISO Burner

Easier just to properly prepare the drive and re install windows 7.

Or just re install Windows 7 on that C partition and wipe out the older install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/357306-how-format-windows-xp-dual-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 80.84%

I'm setting up a Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows XP. I installed Windows 7 first, then installed XP second, both installed on seperate partitions.but now i don't want xp so i formatted second drive but Windows was unable to complete the format now so hoe to format my second drive ...

A:Windows was unable to complete the format after dual boot

Would you be able to post a screen capture of your disk management?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/210889-windows-unable-complete-format-after-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello,

I have a dual boot machine with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. I have Windows Defender version 1.1.1600.1 for WinServer and McAffee for Windows 7. Recently I have been having some trouble with McAffee. Will Windows Defender provide protection for both OS's or do I need to continue to troubleshoot the McAffee issue?

Thanks,
Scott

A:AntiVirus for Dual Boot System -Windows 7/Windows Server 2008

Windows Defender will only run when the OS it is installed on is running.
So, for you it will only run when you boot up Windows Server.

Windows Defender is not an Anti Virus program.
It is Anti Malware and intended to run alongside a real-time Anti Virus program.

You might consider un-installing McAffe and using a different A/V such as Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, etc...

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/255983-antivirus-dual-boot-system-windows-7-windows-server-2008-a.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Is it possible to set up a dual-boot system with Windows Vista OEM on one hard drive and install Windows 7 Upgrade on another hard drive? Windows 7 would be the primary and Windows Vista would be the secondary.

A:Set Up Dual-Boot System with Windows Vista OEM & Windows 7 Upgrade?

Easiest is to install each with the other HD unplugged, then set preferred as first HD to boot in BIOS setup, trigger other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key. This keeps each independent to come and go as you please.

If you don't like that method then you can install EasyBCD to Win7 to add Vista to a Win7 Dual Boot menu which will leave them independent.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/345082-set-up-dual-boot-system-windows-vista-oem-windows-7-upgrade.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hello again to all. Can anyone please explain because this a little bit confuses me, CREATING a SYSTEM IMAGE, now that I have a DUAL BOOT win7-win8 OS.

>>I want to know if I CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 7 (my default OS), and then later, if ever I RESTORE THIS CREATED SYSTEM IMAGE, will the setup on WINDOWS 8 & WINDOWS 7, still be the same working on DUAL BOOT?

>>OR IS IT THAT I HAVE TO CREATE THE SYSTEM IMAGE via windows 8?

thanks again for any info.

A:Windows 8: Create a System Image on a Dual Boot OS Windows 7

when you create a system image of your computer, yes it will recreate everything it sees on your computer, including multiple OS's and of course the boot loader to let you choose which OS to run.

Please follow the instructions carefully of your imaging software.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/12214-windows-8-create-system-image-dual-boot-os-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I lost access to my windows 7 drive (Dual-boot windows 7 & Ubuntu). every time I try to run Windows 7 I get the message: Bootmgr is compressed, Press CTRL_ALT-DEL to restart. I could run Bootrec /fixmbr or diskpart or attrib to rebuild my mbr table through DOS command window using my windows 7 recovery CD. The problem I cannot access drive C: where my windows 7 are. I get the error message: Cannot open volume for direct access or system cannot find the drive path or specified. I still can access all my windows folders and files through home folder in Ubuntu. I don't want to reformat and reinstall windows. Is there is a way to run the DOS commands within Ubuntu or any other advice to how to fix this issue.

A:Lost access to Windows 7 Drive (Dual-Boot Windows 7 & Ubuntu)

Hi,

Please see whether the steps outline in this tutorial will be of help:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/249212-lost-access-windows-7-drive-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi,
I can't boot my windows 7 system. Because I format C .
There is vista system in C. I had dual-boot ago. I don't need vista again. So I format it. Windows 7 is in F.
Now I can't enter into windows 7 system. It's nothing only black. How can I do now? please help me. Thank you.

A:I can't boot my windows 7 system. Because I format C.

Quote: Originally Posted by chen

Hi,
I can't boot my windows 7 system. Because I format C .
There is vista system in C. I had dual-boot ago. I don't need vista again. So I format it. Windows 7 is in F.
Now I can't enter into windows 7 system. It's nothing only black. How can I do now? please help me. Thank you.

since you were dual booting (vista, and win 7) win 7 put boot files in a hidden folder called boot. You are going to have to do a repair install from you win 7 dvd.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/66082-i-cant-boot-my-windows-7-system-because-i-format-c.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi I need some help with a dual booted system I have windows XP and Windows pro -bit on 7 boot p/c 7 dual won't to xp/windows system windows booted my work computer I came back to work after the holidays and was unable to boot into windows I put in the windows install disk and tried to reinstall the software but the disk just try's to repair the disk quot fixing sectors this may take over HR quot this was dual booted p/c xp/windows 7 system won't boot to windows 7 started at am ran all day when I returned to work the next day it was still running Hard drive is partitioned into gb partitions windows xp work fine but I need to install windows to run a program called quot Solidworks quot I can see the partition as drive dual booted p/c xp/windows 7 system won't boot to windows 7 E when booted into xp I can access the files and folders on the partition I want to do an install of Windows pro that will not affect these file But when I try to run the install program the repairing disk starts again The system repair tools menu does not show up We I first tried to run install the program told me I needed to be in windows to run the disk Will removing the Windows directory from the drive as I said above I have access through xp allow me to install the program again and can I do it with out losing my files Thanks in advance for any help you can give I'm at a loss Bobyt

A:dual booted p/c xp/windows 7 system won't boot to windows 7

It's interesting that it seems to want to run Disk Check
so maybe if you boot into the disk's System Recovery Options Command line to run Option 3 Disk Check command it will complete and repair the file system as it seems to be attempting.

Otherwise to reinstall you must boot into the Win7 disk to do a Clean Reinstall Windows 7. Boot the disk as shown in How to Boot A Computer from CD or DVD - YouTube.

Choose the Win7 partition, format it and install. Set it up perfectly as shown in the tutorial which shows the tools and methods to keep it that way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/359050-dual-booted-p-c-xp-windows-7-system-wont-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

So I have a laptop that's a few months old It came pre-installed with Windows Even after hearing all the complaints about Windows I promised myself that I would give it a fair shot before I went crawling back to a previous version of Windows most likely Windows as I loved that OS Anyway it's been a few months and while I don't hate Windows it's not my favourite 8.1 a system Creating Windows dual-boot 7 Windows with and OS either Creating a dual-boot system with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 -- mainly because there are some programs that I use that don't seem to get along well Creating a dual-boot system with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with it But visually speaking I do like quite a bit and I would like to keep it Creating a dual-boot system with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 for the majority of what I do So I was thinking about setting up a dual-boot configuration and that way I'd have the best of both worlds Now my question is can I actually install Windows over Or do I have to basically start all over and then install first before I install It's not that big a deal I guess but if possible I'd love to be able to just put on the system as it stands now without having to fool with wiping and then starting from scratch Any suggestions recommendations as to how I can make this a little easier on myself

A:Creating a dual-boot system with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

By far the best option is to install Classic Shell.  That gives you back a Start button and menu like we have with Windows 7.  You can download it from classicshell.net and it's totally FREE.  Installing Windows 7 on a computer that came with Windows 8 is problematic because of numerous things.  First, most such computers have replaced the BIOS we've used for decades with something new called UEFI and a different way of formatting the hard drive.  Next you might not be able to get Windows 7 drivers for that computer.  Also there're complex ways of getting around this, but you normally want to install the latest version of Windows last.

Bottom line is like I say, by all means try Classic Shell first.  It's easy to uninstall if for some reason you want to, but it's free and just about everyone who's tried it thinks it's great.  That includes yours truly.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540709/creating-a-dual-boot-system-with-windows-7-and-windows-81/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello Windows 8 members.

I'm Trinty from Windows 7 forums (maybe someone knows me).

I installed Windows 8 on VM but I want to install it on my current machine,
dual-boot with Windows 7.

Windows 7 is already installed and there is one problem. I don't have Install CD and Repair CD.
My questions :

1. When I install Win 8 do I need Install CD or Repair CD for Windows 7 (for ex. to repair Bootmgr) ?
2. Can I install Windows 8 from HDD (without using flash drive or DVD) ?
- If answer is yes : How ?
- If answer is no : Can I use Flash Drive 4GB ?

That is all for now.

Please answer soon.
Thanks in advace.
Baltic Trinty (w7 Trinty)

A:Installing Windows 8 with Windows 7 Dual Boot from Flash Drive

Hello Baltic, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You can install Windows 8 with the ISO, DVD, or USB. The tutorial below can help show you how to install Windows 8 to dual boot with Windows 7 using either installation media.

Dual Boot Installation - Windows 8 and Windows 7 or Vista

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/6339-installing-windows-8-windows-7-dual-boot-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi,
It has happened to me twice...I accidentally deleted a partition and later found out that my system is dead....The only way I recover out of that is I reinstall Windows and then install grub again to recover the Linux partition. But I feel the delete partition is a very rapid process just taking seconds and in that I don't think files would be deleted, so I feel potentially I can recover the deleted partitions including the boot partition. But I don't know how to do it. Also now when the boot partition is deleted and the system is not booting up what should be done to recover the system and data?
Thanks in advance,
-pkd

A:How to recover deleted grub/boot partition in Windows XP(Dual boot system))

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-recover-deleted-grub-boot-partition-in-windows-xp-dual-boot-system.871174/
Relevancy 75.25%

I upgraded to Win Home Premium from XP by adding a new physical drive not by inserting a new partition into the original boot drive As a result files essential to the booting of Win are stuck on the XP drive The XP drive cannot be removed or reformated because doing so would make it impossible to boot Win from its drive at least as is on remove system, How I 7? a dual-boot from Win XP leaving dual-drive the do I have already added a great number of files to the Win drive and there is no space left on the XP drive to reinstall Win there either If possible I need a solution that will make the Win drive bootable so I can remove the XP drive completely or reformat it As currently configured XP How do I remove XP from a dual-boot on dual-drive system, leaving the Win 7? is on drive C Win was added to drive E and the system is currently run as a dual boot Attempting to boot without the XP drive present will yield a quot NTLDR is missing quot error very early in the boot process I have already tried the following I moved the hidden Windows Boot Manager files bootmgr as well as the associated Boot folder from the XP drive root to the Win drive root After physically removing the XP drive I rebooted to the Win installation DVD and used the quot Repair Your Computer quot option to pull up the quot Recovery Tools quot Then using the command prompt utility I attempted to write a new boot sector to the Windows disk using the command Bootrec fixboot - that yields an error though The Bootrec fixmbr claimed success but ultimately did not make Win drive bootable I had to reconnect drive C just to boot into Win again to write this I do have files backed up but to format and reinstall files would take many hours beyond just the time to transfer GB of data since I have dozens of purchased applications that need to be freshly reinstalled and validated as well Basically I want my E drive now to be my boot drive while the C drive is reformatted and used for general storage Any idea how to make my Win drive bootable without reliance on files from another drive nbsp

A:How do I remove XP from a dual-boot on dual-drive system, leaving the Win 7?

I found a solution. It's convoluted but it works. I will present it here in detail in case anyone else runs into this problem. I also found a Microsoft support article related to it, although it's discussing this problem for an older version of Windows:

Changing Active Partition Can Make Your System Unbootable

The article points out the boot-up error symptomatic of having multiple active partitions ahead of the actual partition with the OS: "NTLDR is missing". That is exactly what I experienced. Since most people use drive C: to boot from, they may never see be aware of this idiosyncratic problem, as active partitions after the first won't cause the problem. Microsoft blames an Intel's design for this oversight.

I first disconnected all other hard drives except my chosen boot drive, - this allowed Win 7 to boot properly, if only from that one drive. Here's the way in which I finally was able to reconnect all the drives and boot from my Win 7 drive:

(1) Once Win 7 was able to boot from the single drive remaining, I deleted the unnecessary boot menu left over from the dual boot by running the command prompt utility in the administrator mode, (right-click on command prompt program icon, select Run as administrator), and used the following command to delete the menu: BCDEdit /delete {ntldr} /f

(2) I then reconnected all the drives I previously removed. Consistent with what I'd expect if the Microsoft article was true, Windows 7 no longer booted. The active partitions ahead of drive E: were still conflicting with the boot process. However, running the automated "Repair Your Computer" option from the installer DVD also didn't help, meaning it was probably necessary to manually inactivate the unneeded active partitions.

(3) Given that possibility, I then booted to the Win 7 installer DVD yet again, selected the "Repair Your Computer" option and made my way to their various utilities. I ran the command prompt utility again, this time using the disk partition utility to mark the unnecessary active partitions as inactive, typing:

diskpart
list disk
select disk n(where n = the drive designation: 0,1, etc)
list partition (or the command, detail partition)
select partition m(where m = the unnecessary active partition)
inactive

...repeated for all unneeded active partitions on all the various hard drives that were installed...

exit

Doing that alone, however, did not work by itself either, but it apparently was a step in the right direction.

(4) I then rebooted (yet again) to the Win 7 installer DVD, which surprisingly was completely unable to find the Win 7 installation at that point, unlike all previous boots in which it immediately saw the Win 7 boot installation. However this time, when the automated repair function was run, it properly tied up the loose ends.

Now Win 7 boots perfectly from drive E, even with two other drives ahead of it.

I suspect part of the problem might be in the default expectations of the installer program: it only recognizes a boot problem when the non-OS partitions are properly marked. Somehow the active partititions fooled it into thinking everything was ok which ultimately triggered an improper "fix", or no fix at all, resulting in an inability to boot to the Win 7 partition until all other drives were removed.

Correctly marking the partitions as active or inactive forced a correct fix by the installer program.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-remove-xp-from-a-dual-boot-on-dual-drive-system-leaving-the-win-7.876802/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi,
I have a dual-boot system Ubuntu/Windows 7. The Master boot loader is GRUB.
It worked fine until yesterday when, for some reason, Windows 7 refused to load anymore. I tried to repair with chkdsk, found and repaired some disk errors, but now the boot loader is damaged. The problem I have is that after selecting Windows from the GRUB list I get the installed version entry but I can't have access to Repair through F8 and thus I am not able to continue on the installation DVD. The problem I think would be simple, by writing a new boot using bootrec, but I don't have access to the console.
I've seen a solution/tutorial on this forum except that it requires to remove Linux, which is not at all my scope.
Thanks

A:Recover Windows 7 boot on dual boot system with GRUB masterboot

Information
Boot up using the Startup Repair CD or Windows 7 DVD. (not the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk) If you have a Netbook, you will need a CD/DVD drive.

NOTE: Make sure no USB drives are plugged in.
Do not use a USB Pendrive for Startup Repair.

1) Use the Rebuild BCD in this tutorial:
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

2) Fix MBR.

NOTE: As you have Linux installed, the above only works for 1 in 1000, must likely you will need to reinstall.
Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/182909-recover-windows-7-boot-dual-boot-system-grub-masterboot.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I installed Windows 8.1 to try.
The problem is that it stopped working and gives me troubleshooting boot menu .
I have Windows xp on the machine too that's working fine.
So now every time I open my pc, I get the boot menu where it says Windows 8 can't start. What u want to do. Run troubleshooting or boot in earlier version
I go ahead and select earlier version.
I just want to remove this menu and remove the entire Windows 8. I just want to go directly to Windows xp

A:Dual boot system (Windows 8.1 and xp), how to edit boot menu from xp

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management. To do this from XP, press the Prnt Scrn button, open built-in Paint to paste the screenshot in, Save File, attach back here in reply box using paper clip icon. Screenshot with Paint

If XP is still System Active in Disk Mgmt, then normally you can just delete 8, remove the boot entry in msconfig>Boot, but we need to see the screenshot to be sure of no unexpected configurations.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/360453-dual-boot-system-windows-8-1-xp-how-edit-boot-menu-xp.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Im running windows 7 beta. im having spyware/malware problems, and want to reformat (because i dont know how to fix or what to do) the entire hard drive. i cant open to the Microsoft management console: it says i need to be running IE 5.5. so ie must be corrupt. i cant install ie, because you cannot download it for win 7...just vista. i dont know how to format from the windows 7 or vista disc. everything is so screwed up, and i need to start from scratch. so i need to know how to format from where ever, before windows even starts. then start fresh with a new....everything.

A:format the hard drive before windows 7 boot

also i tried to do a custom installation right from the windows 7 disc. but windows cant even find a drive or partition to install windows.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/format-the-hard-drive-before-windows-7-boot-441548.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi there
Anybody tried this yet -- attempt to create a Dual boot system from a Windows to Go installation -- I'm trying to get a W7 portable system -- I was thinking that maybe I could create a W7 VHD (Virtual Hard drive) and then use the Windows to Go bootloader to attach and mount the W7 VHD and then boot from the VHD into W7.

Anybody attempted this yet --I think it's impossible to create a "Bog standard" W7 to go system but fiddling around with VHD's might work as W7 can boot from a VHD.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/28682-dual-boot-into-w7-windows-go-system.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi there, first time posting. I have a problem on my system that on startup it opens windows boot manager and I have to choose to open windows vista. The only other option is to do a diagnostic scan, (which I have tried selecting with no results.) From What I have read, I understand this page would show up if I had multiple operating systems, but I don't. It didn't do this before. Can anybody help with what may be the issue?
Thanks in advance.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/267500-windows-boot-manager-system-not-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hello!
I've got Windows 7 installed and would like to set up a dual boot system with an Ubuntu 9.04. However, I would like to use the Windows 7 boot loader instead of GRUB. How can I do that? Thanks in advance.

A:Linux Dual Boot System Using the Windows 7 Boot MGR

See if this thread from today helps: Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/84739-linux-dual-boot-system-using-windows-7-boot-mgr.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi, I installed Windows 7 on a second hard drive (WD 500GB c) to create a dual boot with Vista (OS d). This has been working great and I have fully transferred over to Windows 7.

Now I want to remove the Vista drive (OS d) and format it to use for data only or in future purchase a larger capacity hd for data. I think my MBR is on the Vista drive so how can I do this safely and easily?

I have attached a screenshot from disc manager.

A:Removing Vista drive from a dual boot with Windows 7 on seperate drive

Unplug Disk 0 , and then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times . It will add the Windows 7 boot files in the WD 500 GB disk 1.

(But if you want to make the boot files in a separate partition (which is a usual situation with a clean install), you may see System Reserved : Create Using Disk Management .)

Now you are able to Boot up windows 7 directly .... so you may easily format the Vista disk, if you want, either using the option three of the tutorial Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD , or Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command or SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation .

Hope it helps .

EDIT : If you dont want to format the vista drive, you will need to delete the windows 7 boot entry from it . Download and install EasyBCD , Click on the "Edit Boot Menu" button and Click on delete , and save .
Now , you can use the either OS using the boot menu key of your computer, selecting which disk is to boo up during start up the computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/172360-removing-vista-drive-dual-boot-windows-7-seperate-drive.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I have been told it is possible to create a Flash Drive that I can boot on computer start and install Windows OS. I have done some research but have not found specific instructions on the procedures as to how to do t his.

I know there are certain requirements:
1. The flash drive has to formatted a certain way.
2. The Bios has to be set to be able to boot from USB.

What I want the flash drive to do is:
1. Boot from computer Startup.
2. Format the partition where Windows will be installed.
3. Install Windows
4. Have the Product Code on the flash drive so that Windows will be activated after install.

I am sure that other things I want it to do, but off hand these are the primary ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Format Flash Drive To Boot and Install Windows

Creat Windows 7 Bootable USB. Follow Part 2 to create a bootable USB as opposed to a bootable DVD. I'd advise writing the product key down as you'll have to manually input it before you reach a Windows desktop environment. You will more than likely have to set your BIOS to boot from the USB stick.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/332595-format-flash-drive-boot-install-windows.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi I am new to this so I am sorry if I make any mistake. Okay, I have sony vaio laptop and i was running windows vista on it. I did a partition and dual boot the system with ubuntu 10.4. Then i download easybcd tool to set windows vista as a default OS to boot with, but accidently in easybcd software i unistalled vista boot loader. now when i reboot the system ubuntu works fine but when i try to load vista its says NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt and Delete to restart. Then tried to boot from cdrom because i have a fresh copy of Windows 7. the system doesnt boot from cdrom. So now i am stuck with ubuntu on my system.

Please Help!
Thanks.

A:windows not loading on dual boot system

If want repair vista Do this.

Try this:
Startup Repair
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.

System Repair Disc - Create
System Recovery Options
Repair Install

Or

Would like to do a clean of Win 7?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/93131-windows-not-loading-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 73.53%

hey yaull

Im currently running a dual boot system with both windows seven 64
and vista 32. both are installed on the same drive but under seperate partitions, i want to uninstall and format my vista partition while still keeping my windows seven install active. i tried just formatting the vista partition and keeping the seven but. when i tried this i got an error saying "windows cannot complete format" any one know how i can do this?? it would be much appreciated

Thanks

A:Deleting One Os From dual boot windows seven 64 system HELP!!!

I highly advise you to keep your Windows Vista partition. The Windows 7 beta expires, and when it does, you will be out of an operating system.

I would just resize your Vista partition and make your W7 partition larger, or just leave it alone.

Also, if anything goes wrong: you can always use your Vista partition to, sometimes, fix your W7 issues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/3853-deleting-one-os-dual-boot-windows-seven-64-system-help.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi All

Another one...I just formatted my C-Drive and installed a fresh copy of windows 7 ultimate on it. After restart, I got the following screen - See image attached. Now Windows can't boot at all. I tried using a system repair disk but it doesn't work. I doubt if it is a hardware problem, since I can access the boot menu and its options, but as I said, running the repair disk fails, I keep on getting that screen when it restarts.

Any ideas? Can it be my MBR that is screwed? What options do I have available?

Thank you very much!

Relevancy 72.67%

Hi guys,
Is there a way I can remove all the partitions from my Hard drive and do a full format (not quick)? The windows 7 install disc does a quick format but I would like to clean it thoroughly. Is there a utility I can use at boot time to do this?

Thanks!

A:Full Format Hard Drive with Windows 7 Boot Disc

Why do you want to do a full format? What is wrong with quick? Anyways this question was answered before...

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/30175-full-format-hard-drive-windows-7-boot-disc.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I am dual booting Vista and Windows7 RC 7100. They are both on the same Hard Drive on different partitions. I have made the decision to stick with the new OS (Windows7) and give Vista the boot. So I want to get rid of the extra partition and revert to a single OS (Windows7). I don?t want to reformat the whole hard drive and completely re-install the windows7 operating system. I want to remove Vista from the dual boot menu and keep windows7. Then I want to format the Vista Partition. How can I do this and keep my present installation of Windows7 without having to reinstall Windows7?

Hope this is explained clearly.

FyrmnJ in Philly

A:Remove Windows Vista From Dual Boot System

Right-click Computer -> Click Properties. On the left panel you should see "Advanced system settings". Click that. You should be brought to the system properties familiar to NT 5.0 and 5.1 (2000 and XP). Click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery box.

Vista and 7 no longer allow you to edit the boot file from here since it uses a newer boot system. This screen will still allow you to just boot straight to 7. Make sure the Default Operating System is set to 7. Uncheck "Time to display list of operating systems:" and hit OK. Now you won't SEE Vista as an option anymore.

Now it's time to REMOVE it. Right-click Computer -> Click Manage -> Select Disk Management. Vista and 7 use a separate partition for the boot record. DO NOT touch this partition. Find the partition Vista is on, right-click it, and click Delete Volume. Hit 'Yes' on the confirmation screen and you're done with Vista. You can now extend 7 onto that partition.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/15546-remove-windows-vista-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello all I want to uninstall WIndows SE completely from my machine and just run XP How What first Would formatting Windows SE drive partition do it Here s the rub Win SE is on my quot C quot partition while WinXP is on my quot G quot partition I can t figure out if formatting my quot C quot Dual my Uninstalling from boot 98SE Windows system? partition to rid myself of SE wouldn t also wipe out some of XP Here s another rub My Soundblaster Platinum soundcard was orginally installed on the quot C quot partition but works well with XP with updated Creative XP drivers Would wiping out the quot C quot partition wipe out my Soundblaster card installation or would I have to reinstall that sucker I have every CD installation disk for every program so that would not be a problem I ve only booted into Windows SE twice since installing XP last September-October The original notion being that if I didn t Uninstalling Windows 98SE from my Dual boot system? like XP I could uninstall it The issue may be moot in that I m building a GIG P MOBO with all the bells and whistles to stick in this case and will have to reinstal XP anyway What to do wait delete Win SE or punt What would John Wayne do confused Machine Dual booting Windows XP and Windows SE Partitioned with PartitionMagic Plll MHz MB RAM GIG MAXTOR HDD GIG WD HDD SBC YAHOO DSL nbsp

A:Uninstalling Windows 98SE from my Dual boot system?

Hello, EdGreene,

Format the C: drive. That will get rid of Win98. But will also remove the BOOT.INI file which was placed on C: drive, and is needed to boot XP.
So you'll then have to boot with the Win XP CD, and at the first option box that appears, press R for repair. Enter password if any, or if none, press Enter.
Type fixboot

Others might advise you on a better way to do this, so wait awhile.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/uninstalling-windows-98se-from-my-dual-boot-system.167599/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi.

Right now i have dual boot system with windows 7 and xp - HP laptop. Windows 7 was installed first. XP was installed later. There are 4 primary partitions.
1. system reserved 100MB
2. win7 32 bit partition
3. xp partition
4. additional partition for data

And now i need to upgrade win7 32 to win 7 64 bit. I know it has to be a clean install.
I searched the forum and found info about creating dual boot 7/xp.

Basically right now i have both iof them installed, so if i reinstall/clean instal windows 7 on partition 2 will windows xp stay bootable?

Is this the way to go?
Format my partition 2 and install fresh copy win7 64 bit?
What about boot info for xp?

Thanks

A:upgrade win7 on dual boot system with windows xp

Let us see a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image.

During the booted Clean Install Windows 7 Steps 7/8 delete System Reserved and Windows 7 partition only, then create in that space a new partition for the install which will also likely create a new System Reserved partition. Format both partitions, make sure the new C partition is highlighted, then click Next.

This should configure a Dual Boot with XP, but if not afterwards install EasyBCD to add XP to a Windows Dual Boot.

Also look over the steps to do a perfect Clean Reinstall Windows 7 which covers everything to back up, how to achieve and maintain a perfect install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/356130-upgrade-win7-dual-boot-system-windows-xp.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I can't figure out which partition holds Windows 8 on my Dual Boot 7/8 system. I want to delete Windows 8 64 bit and reinstall Windows 8 32 bit, then update to Windows 8.1. I'm doing this because the system's old enough that 64 bit 8.1 won't install but maybe 32 bit will. I won't know unless I try.

Soooo . . . I need to figure out which partition Windows 8 is on so I can format the drive and reinstall.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

A:Dual Boot System - Which Partition Holds Windows 8

You will usually find there is a windows flag icon on the drive you are currently booted into.

Or check disk management for the word Boot on one of the partitions - that is the one you are currently in.

Or have a look at the partitions in windows explorer. 8 will have a thing on it called swapfile.sys (you need to have hidden and system files showing to see it ).

When you have figured that out, probably a good idea to label the partitions so you know what they are.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/34003-dual-boot-system-partition-holds-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hello everyone!

I need help deleting the XP partition in my dual-boot system with Windows 7. I don't need to use de Windows XP OS and I just wan't to delete it. I must also add that I used the EasyBCD software to create the dual-boot menu, but I installed it in the Win XP OS.
Thanks in advance and appreciate your help.

I have attached a screenshot of my Disk Managment partitions.

A:I need help deleting the Windows XP partition in a dual-boot system

Boot into Windows 7 and type msconfig in the start-search box.Click on the boot tab and check if the windows xp is listed there.Open disk management,right click on XP partition and select delete volume.Make sure you back up all your data from the XP partition first.

Now open msconfig again,click on boot tab and delete the Windows XP from the list.Restart your system.If windows 7 doesn't boot up then try Start up repair Startup Repair to repair the MBR boot files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/214448-i-need-help-deleting-windows-xp-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have a Windows XP Vista dual boot machine I have hard drives one contains the Windows XP operating system SATA the other Vista SATA I have decided to remove Windows XP For the moment I have just unplugged the XP drive that is on SATA and turned the SATA drive a Boot Windows Dual System Vista Removing XP from off in the bios Everything appears to boot fine although on initial boot up it takes about - seconds until the Vista boot screens appears almost as if the computer is searching for something I plan to format the XP drive and use it to store data My question is is this an appropriate way to remove XP from a dual boot configuration I am concerned that I Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System need to make changes to the Vista configuration but I am not sure One last note in my system I believe I installed Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System XP first then install added Vista to create a multiboot system I would appreciate any insight that you may have

A:Removing Windows XP from a Vista Dual Boot System

the bootloader you are using is probably that of vista.. try booting with the vista dvd.. then go to command prompt.. type Bootrec.exe /FixMbr to fix vista's bootloader and try booting again..

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/removing-windows-xp-from-a-vista-dual-boot-system-211398.html
Relevancy 72.67%

1. I have Windows XP Sp3 (32bit)
2. I clean installed Windows 7 Professional (64bit) on a different partition for a dual boot.
3. Windows 7 installed nicely. I was on my new desktop.
4. Went to have coffee and chat with the neighbor
5. Came back and the new Windows 7 hung there, and my taskbar disappeared. Desktop with nothing on it.
6. Restarted my system, chose Windows 7 to load, got to the 'windows starting' with the nice colored logo. And then... Black screen and system hang. Tried again, same thing.
7. Reinstalled Windows 7. Got through untill the last part of installation, again got to the logo, and then black screen and system hang.

Now I can't finish installing.
My Xp Sp3 still boots and functions perfectly.

Any sugestions

A:Windows 7 64bit does not install on dual boot system

Probably some installation problems.... I have MacBook Pro and I run OSX Snow Leopard and Windows 7 64 bit without any problems.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/32478-windows-7-64bit-does-not-install-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi everyone this is my first post i hope someone can help me with this question I've just got a new HP laptop with windows Home Premium Anytime Upgraded to Ultimate Drive External XP from Dual-Boot windows i want to boot to windows XP SP on this new laptop Not necessarily Dual-Boot there is only on program i need to use under XP the Dual-Boot windows XP from External Drive dual-booting tutorials here are quite in depth and potentially problematic for none techie like me i would prefer not re-partion the drive and 'hide' one operating system from the other so what i would prefer to do is this Plug in an External hard drive USB Clean and factory formatted Go into my BIOS gt Disable boot from internal hard drive gt enable boot from CD Drive first Exit BIOS having saved changes insert win XP Install disk in drive So in theory XP Install should be like on a brand new machine when i want to use windows i would reverse the BIOS changes and make sure external drive with XP is not connected So windows would not know XP is even in use Is all this viable or is there something that would prevent it from working Thanks Tony

A:Dual-Boot windows XP from External Drive

I have a similiar problem. I have a new Windows 7 computer and an old computer running XP. I can mount the XP hard drive into a USB enclosure. If I change the bios to boot from the USB port first, will I be able boot from the XP drive when the drive is connected and boot from the internal drive when the xp drive is not connected?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/44805-dual-boot-windows-xp-external-drive.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which I recently upgraded to Windows Home Premium from Vista doing an inplace upgrade Boot Dual XP in Windows as E: Drive With 7 stays Everything works fine I wanted to dual boot with XP so I followed the tutorial from this site to do so The dual boot works just fine but XP is always drive E whether I'm in Windows which is always drive C or in XP Isn't the currently loaded operating system supposed to be drive C and the other drive will be assigned a different letter Or is that only on systems with two physical hard drives And does it matter Seems to XP stays as Drive E: in Dual Boot With Windows 7 me some programs are going to choke trying to install and run on drive E A few more details on my system and what I did I started with a single GB partition and shrunk the volume in Windows so the drive was roughly split in half I left the unallocated space as unallocated and booted with the XP disc I selected the unallocated space and XP made a partition using all but MB and left MB unallocated not sure why it wouldn't use it all I installed XP on this new partition updated drivers etc and then ran EasyBCD as shown in the tutorial When I boot the machine now I get the option to select which OS I want and I can boot into either just fine Advice Thoughts Thanks

A:XP stays as Drive E: in Dual Boot With Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by Peregrine

The dual boot works just fine but XP is always drive E:, whether I'm in Windows 7 (which is always drive C: ) or in XP. Isn't the currently loaded operating system supposed to be drive C: and the other drive will be assigned a different letter? Or is that only on systems with two physical hard drives? And, does it matter?

Hi! Welcome to SevenForums!
1. NO Windows isn't always supposed to be on the C Drive
2. It doesn't matter

Quote: Originally Posted by Peregrine

Seems to me some programs are going to choke trying to install and run on drive E:

They won't. The ONLY reason that they install on Drive C is because that's how it's set in the registry.....

WARNING! BEFORE EDITING THE REGISTRY, MAKE A BACK-UP BY GOING TO FILE THEN EXPORT IN REGEDIT
To change it open Registry Editor (Write regedit in the start bar and press enter)

1. Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and click on it.

2. Find ProgramFilesDir in the right bar.

3. Right-Click it and click Modify

4. Under Value Data write in the location you want your files to install for exampe D:/Programs

Remember you have to reboot for your changes to show.

Thanks!
ZeshanA
If someone helps your click the scales at the top right of their post and click I APPROVE!

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/37811-xp-stays-drive-e-dual-boot-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I installed windows 7 on my desktop where XP was already installed. Now, unless I have the RC1 DVD in the drive, the computer automatically boots to XP with no option. If I leave the DVD in the drive it gives me the ''press any key to boot from CD or DVD" then automatically goes to win7 if I dont press anything. I used BCD while in 7 and it didn't seem to have an effect. Help?!

A:Dual boot issue with Windows 7 and XP with DVD in drive

Have you tried going to the BIOS menu and selecting boot from Internal HDD?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/11274-dual-boot-issue-windows-7-xp-dvd-drive.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hey guys -

I was wondering if there was any way I could dual boot my external Firewire/USB drive. I would like to dual boot with XP and Mac OS 10.3. I use this drive at work to clone other Macs with images but I would also like to be able to have a Windows XP OS on there. If I cannot dual boot them, can I partition them and only install Mac OS X on 1 partition?

Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-drive-mac-windows-dual-boot.244338/
Relevancy 72.24%

I've got a bit of a perplexing problem here that I hope somebody can provide some insight on Set dual access XP cannot 7 boot Windows other drive with up the dual boot with your very awesome tutorial and everything works perfectly there Windows was installed first to the C drive XP is XP cannot access other drive with Windows 7 dual boot on an E partition of the same drive The D drive is a second physical drive that is just used for file storage If it matters both physical drives are paired drives in Raid The problem comes when I've loaded into Windows XP I can't XP cannot access other drive with Windows 7 dual boot access the D storage drive It reads as size and can't be formatted or read XP cannot access other drive with Windows 7 dual boot Under Windows everything works I can access the storage drive fine and have no problems using it I originally thought it was a permissions thing because the D drive was formatted in Win but in XP I can read from the win C drive just fine I am at a loss can anybody offer any suggestions as to why the drive would read fine under but not when in XP

A:XP cannot access other drive with Windows 7 dual boot

Quote: Originally Posted by NinjaPirate

I've got a bit of a perplexing problem here that I hope somebody can provide some insight on. Set up the dual boot with your (very awesome) tutorial and everything works perfectly there. Windows 7 was installed first to the C: drive, XP is on an E: partition of the same drive. The D: drive is a second physical drive that is just used for file storage. If it matters, both physical drives are paired drives in Raid1.

The problem comes when I've loaded into Windows XP, I can't access the D:\ storage drive. It reads as size 0, and can't be formatted or read.

Under Windows 7, everything works. I can access the storage drive fine and have no problems using it.

I originally thought it was a permissions thing because the D:\ drive was formatted in Win7, but in XP I can read from the win7 C:\ drive just fine.

I am at a loss, can anybody offer any suggestions as to why the drive would read fine under 7 but not when in XP?

Hi NP and welcome

I assume the drive is NTFS. what are the permssions like. since the HDhas been in two OS maybe the inherited rights are different.

Not much help sorry

Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/39947-xp-cannot-access-other-drive-windows-7-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Windows 8, 64-bit.

Used to run Win 7 on our main drive, and used a second one for storage (mainly games), however something happened, making us unable to boot. So we decided to upgrade to Windows 8, which we put on our secondary drive, and that's now the main one (boots from here, is Disk 0). When I turn on the PC, it asks me whether to run on Windows 7 or 8 (8 is the default). C: contains Windows 8, D: Contains Win 7.

MAIN PROBLEM: Since we're going to use the old main drive as storage (the one with Windows 7), I wanted to format it, but it won't let me because, I suppose, of the System files still on it (System, Active). Picture of Disk Management below. How do I format it?

A:Removing Old Windows 7 in 2nd Drive (dual boot)

Hi there

Simple - first ensure the disk is not open in file explorer etc.

Get into Command mode as administrator

Now run the following commands

1) diskpart
2 list disk ==> you'll get a list of disks -- choose the one you want to use say 2
3) select disk 2
4) clean
5) create partition primary
6) active (Only use this command if you want to install an OS on the HDD - otherwise skip command 6)
7) format fs=ntfs quick
8) assign
9) exit
Now you can use the disk as data etc without any trace of the previous OS. If you want to re-size partitions etc use GPARTED either as a bootable stand alone system or use any LINUX live CD and after booting type as root GPARTED and adjust partition sizes to suit.

Windows might do it too as the disk is now cleanly formatted -- in disk management just delete and re-allocate the partitions after the steps above.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/49052-removing-old-windows-7-2nd-drive-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 72.24%

i would also like to have the option of starting different hard drives. either:the current windows 7 OS on drive C;or the new Windows 10 on drive D.

A:Dual-Boot Windows 10 (drive D) with Windows 7 (drive c)

"new Windows 10 on drive D"Make sure you have C drive disconnected when you install.After making sure both drives worked perfectly on their own, cable both up & then boot the comp.Set the bios to boot from the drive you prefer to be default.Toggle F8 during boot, if you want to select the non default drive.message edited by Johnw

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/dualboot-windows-10-drive-d-with-windows-7-drive-c/383.html
Relevancy 71.81%

A friend tried to upgrade his computer from Windows ME to Windows 2000 Professional.
He receive numerous problems on Window 2000 an would like to remove it. His computer
is running both operating systems (ME and 2000) and asks to choose when he boots up.

How do I remove the Windows 2000 Professional?

A:How do I remove Windows 2000 Professional from a dual boot system

The problem is mainly in your Boot.ini file. For this, the following article will help you out:

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

Back up your Boot.ini file using the instruction provided and then stop there. Next, post an exact copy of your original Boot.ini.

Remember: Do not tinker carelessly with the file or your computer can be harmed. Just post a copy here and then wait for further instructions.

Post the results as soon as you can and then I will give you further instructions. Good Luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-remove-windows-2000-professional-from-a-dual-boot-system.622820/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi, I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) and Ubuntu dual booted on my Dell XPS M1530. Everytime I run it, it locks up at about the half way point then it freezes. Then I have to hard shutdown the system. It does this everytime, do I need to uninstall Ubuntu? Can anybody help me out with this? Thanks

A:Creating System Image with Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot

Welcome!

It doesn't sound like Ubuntu is causing the problem, as long as you're booted into Windows okay.

Try saving the backup in a different location. You may also test the drive you are saving to: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/76535-creating-system-image-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I've got a dual-boot system with Ubuntu and Windows Ultimate x When I boot up the first screen I see is the Grub menu If I choose Windows then I go through Windows boot menu although I have it set not message Windows to system Failed - dual start boot to display anything because I now have only one copy of Windows on the machine - I had two copies of Win Ultimate before I decided to remove one and go Windows Failed to start message - dual boot system with Ubuntu instead So normally Windows would boot up That does happen most of the time but occasionally - maybe once in or so boots Windows starts to boot then the system reboots and I get back into Grub I then select Windows again and I get the message quot Windows failed to start quot and a list of options I choose Start Windows Normally and it boots up and runs fine I don't see anything in Event Viewer that would suggest a HDD problem I have run many tests on drive memory and CPU and all PASS I ran quot sfc scannow quot and it reports no problems I have run CHKDSK and again no problems I have been having this problem for a while long before I installed Ubuntu so I cannot blame it for corrupting anything Any ideas Thanks FW

A:Windows Failed to start message - dual boot system

Follow this please:
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/311728-windows-failed-start-message-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi guys, my hd is gone. It was on a notebook. Thanks god I had a image system backup few days ago.

Now... I'd like to dual boot that system on my desktop running Windows 7 and dual boot them.

So can I reduce the size of my desktop hd, and then restore the system image from my laptop to that partition?

How can I dual boot them?

THank you

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/381149-restore-windows-7-system-image-2nd-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

A:Removing Windows 7 from the Primary partition of a Dual Boot system.

What kind of BIOS you have? UEFI or Legacy (MBR)?
Can you give us a snapshot of disk manager?
Do you have a external HDD to make a backup image of your Win 7 pro partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I had Fadora Core (I think it was that one) installed on my computer alongside Windows XP, but I recently reinstalled XP and now I can't access Linux because my multi boot menu is gone. How can I fix this? I know that Linux is still installed because Partition Magic shows me all the partitions. Please Help

-Daniel

A:System was set up for dual boot but I reistalled Windows and can't access linux now

When you install Windows, it overwrites your master boot record, whether you want it to or not. Unfortunately, this is where the boot menu is located in which you select which operating system you would like to boot.

In order to get it back, boot up with you Fedora CD in the drive. I'm not too familiar with the Fedora install process, but if it's like most other distributions I've used, you should be able to skip past most of the install process to the point where it installs the boot loader (I believe the default for Fedora is Grub, although it is possible that you chose to use LILO when you initially installed it.. If you used to get a full screen, probably graphical, menu then it is definately grub).

Alternatively, if you can break out to a command line from the install CD (either by selecting a rescue mode at boot or by pressing CTRL-ALT F1 (or F2, F3, etc) once the installer is loaded, you can manually install grub by doing the following:

Type 'grub' at the command prompt.

At the 'grub>' prompt type 'root (hd0,0)' ***
At the next 'grub>' prompt type 'setup (hd0)'
Finally, type 'quit', and reboot, make sure you take the CD out of the drive.

*** hd0,0 assumes that you are installing onto the master drive on the primary IDE controller.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Ken

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-was-set-up-for-dual-boot-but-i-reistalled-windows-and-cant-access-linux-now.401224/
Relevancy 71.81%

I have been running a standard HDD with (windows boot system [SOLVED] in dual 7/XP) Accessing files Windows XP Home SP and GB DDR RAM I recently added an SSD on which I have installed Windows Home Premium the intention being to use the SSD Windows with installed programmes to speed up the system and to use the existing HDD to store data documents pictures videos and music where they already reside From the SSD I can access the old HDD but when I try to open My Documents I am told that I do not quot have permission to view this folder Click continue to permanently get access to this folder quot When I click continue I am told that I quot have been denied permission to access this folder To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab quot When I follow this through I eventually reach a page which tells me that it is unable to display the current owner What I am wondering is if I change the ownership of this folder will I still be [SOLVED] Accessing files in dual boot system (windows 7/XP) able to boot up the HDD using XP and access the files from that disc

A:[SOLVED] Accessing files in dual boot system (windows 7/XP)

Because you are trying to access folders from a different user account than the one which those folders belonged to Windows automatically denies access (even though you created that user account, Windows has no way of knowing that).

You need to "take ownership" of those folders by changing the security permissions.
Altering ownership permissions will in no way affect your ability to boot into that OS and access files on it.

Windows 7 Take Ownership & Grant Permissions to Access Files & Folder

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-accessing-files-in-dual-boot-system-windows-7-xp-614959.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hey guys,

I need some help. I am the same person who posted a thread about needing drivers for Windows 7 after dual booting it with my preinstalled copy of Windows 8. So, I was on Windows 7 today, and my screen randomly blinked on and off for 5 seconds, and then came up with a message saying my system display driver crashed but had recovered. Then, about a minute later, it crashed again and came up with a BSOD saying that the display driver had crashed but failed to recover. I do not have the error code from it, as I only saw this screen once, and forgot to copy down the codde because I got freaked out But anyways, I have copied the system report to this post from the Seven Forums System Tool. I am currently running in safe mode on my Windows 7.

Thanks for help in advance!

A:System Crash: Dual Boot running Windows 7 and 8: BSOD

There are enough signs here that I have to wonder about this installation. Should this be a pirated copy of Windows, please be aware that we may not be able to fix it (as the hacks that were done to activate it will cause the OS to behave differently than we expect it to). If that's the case, our efforts to help may just waste your time. Secondly, the forum rules prohibit assisting with pirated software - so the topic would be closed if that is the case.

Please provide the MGADiag report according to these instructions (from this post: Product Key Number - Uninstall and Deactivate in Windows - Page 3 - Windows 7 Help Forums ):

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
Once saved, run the tool.
Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/45839-system-crash-dual-boot-running-windows-7-8-bsod.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble I had a GB Hard drive that was getting kind of crowded it was my sole hard drive I had XP on it and as I had no problems with it I was content to stick with it I bought a gb hard drive and not 7 detecting system boot anymore failure, Windows Dual as my fiancee had bought me an upgrade to Vista and then I put Windows on the new drive and left XP Dual boot system failure, not detecting Windows 7 anymore on the old The old drive the GB already had C taken so I named the new one G So everything was working fine and if I wanted to switch OS's I'd just reboot and choose the one I wanted Sadly my C drive just died I was like quot bummer I'll pop it out and just worth the windows one now quot However on start up I'm getting a bad boot file message and to put the install system disk in I do that and choose the restore option but its not showing that I have any previous versions of windows on it When I do the repair option it says it was fixing a partition error I can see the windows files when I use the command prompt and still see that windows is there under the G drive My question is does windows now think my G drive is supposed to be C Is that why it wont boot properly I mean it seems to be looking for windows to be under the C drive but its actually under G if that makes sense If so I found an article on how to change the drive letters via regedit at the command prompt Or do you think my hard drive is just hosed and that I need to reformat Thanks for looking and any help at all would be greatly appreciated Sorry I dont have specific info I'm not near the malfunctioning computer at the moment Oh I did go into the bios and check the settings in there It does recognize the drive and the fact that the older gb is no longer there Sorry if this is noobish

A:Dual boot system failure, not detecting Windows 7 anymore

Quote: Originally Posted by Vinbot1

Hello,

I know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble. I had a 160GB Hard drive that was getting kind of crowded, it was my sole hard drive. I had XP on it and as I had no problems with it, I was content to stick with it. I bought a 500gb hard drive and as my fiancee had bought me an upgrade to Vista and then 7, I put Windows 7 on the new drive and left XP on the old. The old drive (the 160GB) already had C: taken so I named the new one G:.

So, everything was working fine and if I wanted to switch OS's I'd just reboot and choose the one I wanted. Sadly my C: drive just died. I was like ".. bummer. I'll pop it out and just worth the windows 7 one now." However on start up I'm getting a bad boot file message and to put the install/system disk in. I do that and choose the restore option but its not showing that I have any previous versions of windows on it! When I do the repair option it says it was fixing a partition error. I can see the windows files when I use the command prompt and still see that windows is there under the G: drive.

My question is; does windows now think my G: drive is supposed to be C ? Is that why it wont boot properly? If so I found an article on how to change the drive letters via regedit. Or do you think my hard drive is just hosed?

Thanks for looking and any help at all would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry I dont have specific info, I'm not near the malfunctioning computer at the moment. Oh, I did go into the bios and check the settings in there. It does recognize the drive.

When you dual boot win 7 it puts the boot files into a hidden 100 (in win 7, 350 in win 8) Mb folder on the original OS drive.

So when you install win 7 it added that folder to the XP drive. When the drive failed the folder cant be found.

Thats the reason it works with the win 7 dvd in the drive.

You should be able to use the win 7 dvd to repair the current HD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/193635-dual-boot-system-failure-not-detecting-windows-7-anymore.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I have two partitions on my HDD. A 'suspect' Windows 7 Home (that originally came with my 'refurbished' second hand laptop) is installed in the only Primary partition. A legitimate copy of Windows 7 Professional is (now) installed in an Extended Logical partition. My laptop boots up in Windows 7 Professional, if no other selection is made. I now wish to remove the suspect installation, and revert to having just one partition containing my Windows 7 Professional, without formatting the whole HDD and reinstallng/restoring everything currently on the second, logical partition. Is this possible, and if so, how?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/399417-removing-windows-7-primary-partition-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi guys I've got a problem with my dual boot setup I've installed win selected an empty partition booted it everything peachy The only surprising thing was that driver letters where switched my windows install and data was now in D drive and windows Drive Boot 7/8 Letter Windows Issue Dual install appropiated C letter drive without consulting me This became a problem came when I tried to boot windows Windows 7/8 Dual Boot Drive Letter Issue and an annoying startup repair assistant showed up Tried autorepair but no luck to be honest I let it unattended and don't know what happened don't even know if it finished since the battery died but it lasts at least hours and that should be enough right Then read somewhere changing active partition to win could help Bad idea now no boot at all After a failed attempt to autorepair with windows dvd restore utility I managed to restore windows dual boot menu with win install dvd - gt repair console - gt bootrec fixboot bootrec fixmbr and bootrec rebuildbcd commands but windows is still not loading it says it can't find winload exe or it is corrupt and I guess it has something to do with the fact that it is now in D drive This is my current bcdedit output in windows Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier bootmgr device partition C description Windows Boot Manager locale en-us inherit globalsettings default current resumeobject ae-b b- e - b c- c fb bfe displayorder current e b dcd -b - e -b -d e f toolsdisplayorder memdiag timeout Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier current device partition C path windows system winload exe description Windows locale en-us inherit bootloadersettings allowedinmemorysettings x osdevice partition C systemroot windows resumeobject ae-b b- e - b c- c fb bfe nx OptIn bootmenupolicy Standard detecthal Yes Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier e b dcd -b - e -b -d e f device partition D path Windows system winload exe description Windows Ultimate locale es-ES osdevice partition D systemroot Windows bootmenupolicy Standard Funny thing is preinstalled PB laptop has a system MB partition currently containing a bunch of win boot files Isn't the loader path and drive supposed to be somewhere there Any suggestions

A:Windows 7/8 Dual Boot Drive Letter Issue

Originally Posted by gaelow

Hi guys,

I've got a problem with my dual boot setup:

I've installed win8, selected an empty partition, booted it, everything peachy.

The only surprising thing was that driver letters where switched: my windows 7 install and data was now in D: drive and windows 8 install appropiated C: letter drive without consulting me.

This became a problem came when I tried to boot windows 7 and an annoying startup repair assistant showed up.

Tried autorepair but no luck. [to be honest, I let it unattended and don't know what happened, don't even know if it finished since the battery died, but it lasts at least 2 hours, and that should be enough, right?]

Then read somewhere changing active partition to win7 could help. Bad idea: now no boot at all.

After a failed attempt to autorepair with windows 8 dvd restore utility I managed to restore windows 8 dual boot menu with win8 install dvd -> repair console -> bootrec /fixboot bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /rebuildbcd commands, but windows 7 is still not loading: it says it can't find winload.exe or it is corrupt, and I guess it has something to do with the fact that it is now in D: drive

This is my current bcdedit output in windows 8:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-us
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {186227ae-b91b-11e1-9b6c-1c7508fb9bfe}
displayorder {current}
{e1b5dcd9-b960-11e1-b749-d6509e56593f}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 8
locale en-us
inherit {bootloadersettings}
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \windows
resumeobject {186227ae-b91b-11e1-9b6c-1c7508fb9bfe}
nx OptIn
bootmenupolicy Standard
detecthal Yes

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e1b5dcd9-b960-11e1-b749-d6509e56593f}
device partition=D:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7 Ultimate
locale es-ES
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \Windows
bootmenupolicy Standard

Funny thing is preinstalled PB laptop has a system 100MB partition currently containing a bunch of win7 boot files. Isn't the loader path and drive supposed to be somewhere there?
Any suggestions?

Try to add Windows 7 boot entry using EasyBCD and see that if it works

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/7128-windows-7-8-dual-boot-drive-letter-issue.html
Relevancy 71.81%

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/09/09/windows_in_your_pocket/ is windows on a flash drive.

phlak littleboy is linux on a flash drive.

any way to dual boot them?

Relevancy 71.81%

In a dual boot Window XP system I'd like to be able to have multiple operating systems yet have drive letter C: assigned to the system I select during boot up. The reason is that I want to build multiple systems by building 1 then cloning it to another partition instead of taking the time to build another system. I guess I could have multiple primary partitions on a single drive then just change which one is active. But what if I have 2 hard drives and I want to change which 1 get the C: drive letter. Is there some way to change the hard drive priority? I don't recall that in my BIOS. I'm just trying to save the time and effort of creating and maintaining multiple operating systems.

A:Windows XP dual-boot and OS drive letter assignment

You can clone a system to another Drive and if there is no other HDD on the computer, it will be C: drive(ex) you have 2 HDD's that are the same size. You have Windows and all your applications, drivers and updates on Drive 1. You clone drive 1 to drive 2. Now if you unplug Drive 1, and boot the computer, Drive 2 becomes the C: drive. Plug drive 1 back in, and boot the computer and if Drive 1 is the first HDD in the boot order, that will be C: drive and Drive 2 will be the D: drive.
For your scenario, you can make a Clone Image of Drive 1, and use that same image to clone to several HDD's.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-dual-boot-and-os-drive-letter-assignment-628251.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi all I have two copies of XP installed one will be stripped down for audio use Audio OS and one for general use General OS When I boot from the boot manager list into my audio OS and go to disk management the drives are setup as I expect - C Audio OS D General OS E-L My other partitions When I log into my general OS the drive letters are muddled - C Audio OS L letter confusion (x2) boot drive Windows dual XP General OS Other Drives not in order Here I expected General OS to be on Windows XP (x2) dual boot drive letter confusion C as I am booted into it and the Audio OS on D Would this be right How do I go about swapping L to C and C to D without causing boot problems I have already tried this once by changing the names in the registry HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM MountedDevices but this went wrong and wouldn t allow me to boot into the general OS anymore I am now back to the stage where I was before it all went wrong and am really nervous to change anything Some guidance would be really appreciated Many thanks Xenon nbsp

A:Windows XP (x2) dual boot drive letter confusion

You can't.
You are always booting to 'Audio OS', no matter which you choose. It will always be C.

An alternative would be a 3rd party boot manager. Some hide partitions, so the present OS will always be C.
moper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-x2-dual-boot-drive-letter-confusion.923173/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi. I installed windows 7 x64 RC a while back, and it detected windows xp and set up a dual boot. All was well.

I had a PSU failure, and i replaced the PSU. I set the BIOS to boot from the drive with windows 7 on it. It wouldn't boot. I set the bios to boot from the drive with windows Xp on it, and it booted to the dual boot screen.

Apparently, windows 7 placed the boot information on the old XP drive, so if i try to boot to windows 7 from the windows 7 drive, its a no go.

Now, this wouldnt' bug me so much, except that i want to replace the Xp drive with a larger 1tb drive. I don't need XP anymore, and do need storage (xp drive is 160gb).

if i remove the XP drive, windows 7 won't boot. How can i fix this?

A:WIndows 7 dual boot with XP, boots from wrong drive

Put your install disk back in,
tell it to do a repair.
and that should find it

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/52797-windows-7-dual-boot-xp-boots-wrong-drive.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi guys
in my desktop I have two hard disks ( disk 0 and disk 1 ) . Disk 1 is a clone of disk 0 created by Macrium Reflect
Disk 0 : ( C: ) windows 10 pro , upgrade from windows 7 , ( E: ) windows 8.1 pro , ( G: ) Storage partition
Disk 1 : clone of disk 0
problem description : I see in msconfig / boot a wrong listing
windows 10 ( C:\WINDOWS) : Current OS ; Default OS
windows 8.1 pro ( H:\WINDOWS ) instead of ( E:\WINDOWS )
nevertheless the dual booting works fine as well as the shift between the disks via BIOS.
The question is , could I fix the situation using the EasyBCD of Neosmart Technologies to edit the bootloader ?
I see can change drive letter H: to E: and save the change , am I right or wrong ?
or any other way
any help appreciated , thanks .

A:wrong drive letter in msconfig / boot in dual boot system

from Admin command, type: bcdboot E:\Windows
From msconfig, delete the entry pointing to H:

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/38841-wrong-drive-letter-msconfig-boot-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I have a dual boot system (2 hard drives) booting Suse and XP and boot up through Suse's built in boot manager which gives me the option of booting to Windows or Linux.

But since I barely ever use Linux I want to delete it off the 2nd drive so I can use it for a storage drive, so I'm wondering how to replace the Windows Master Boot Record so I can just boot into my XP drive. I'm scared that once I delete/reformat the contents of the 2nd hard drive (I'll probably use Partition Magic to do this through my XP drive) that I won't be able to boot XP up anymore. So before I do anything I want to just be able to boot into XP and bypass the linux drive before I delete it to make sure everything is ok.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks.

A:Want to replace Master Boot Record on dual boot system & delete Linux drive

Yeah, if you toast linux then it won't boot up. I had that problem when I used Fedora and got rid of it. Boot from your XP disk and go to the repair console. You can use commands in there to make a new mbr. I can remember the exact command. I think you can type help and that will give you a list of available commands. I think it is "fixboot" or "fixmbr" but I can't remember the exact command.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/want-to-replace-master-boot-record-on-dual-boot-system-delete-linux-drive.448404/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello Windows Seven Forums,

I have to hard drives in my desktop. One drive has Windows 7 which I'm going to back up to the second hard drive of other partition. The second hard drive have dual boot OS its default is Windows 8.1 and second is Windows 7. This Windows 7 is the same with the other one I'm going to back up but not the installed apps. When the time the back up is done, I want to replace the second Windows 7 of dual boot drive completely. The result will have 1T bytes hard dive run in my desktop only with dual boot Windows 8.1 still is my default and a new replaced Windows 7.

In my view, the same windows back up tutorial provided in this forum to take its way.

Thanks

A:Restored Windows Back Up To Another Partition Of Dual Boot Drive

It's done for back up but I'm having a problem the partition. It will restore the back up in Local Disk C which I don't want to place there. I haven't seen Local Disk D in repair disc I created when loaded from BIOS set up went on. Does anyone knows how can I restore it in Local Disk D only?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/349808-restored-windows-back-up-another-partition-dual-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I have a laptop that I have created partitions on with a dual-boot configuration both are Windows Home Edition Everything worked as desired until the primary partition's registry became corrupted OK I screwed it up After spending a few Windows Dual Drive Inactive 7 Boot C: Access Can't Partitions days trying to fix it I decided that there wasn't enough on it I wanted to save so I just re-installed Windows as a new installation on the primary partition Everything seemed to work fine until I Windows 7 Dual Boot Can't Access Inactive Partitions C: Drive booted to the secondary partition and attempted to install an application on the C drive the application forces the location so it wasn't by choice It was then that I realized I have no access to create anything on that partition's C drive I have full rights to the primary partition's C drive just not the secondary no matter which partition I boot to Additionally when I boot to the primary partition I can see both when I boot to the secondary I don't see the primary I have Windows 7 Dual Boot Can't Access Inactive Partitions C: Drive scoured the net for a solution and nothing has worked I can't get access to take ownership I can't change Security attributes it is not set to Read-Only it just comes back with the irritating quot Access Denied quot message whenever I try to create anything on that partition's C drive Thanks in advance - Jim

A:Windows 7 Dual Boot Can't Access Inactive Partitions C: Drive

Post a snapshot of Disk Management:
To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen.

Vista and Windows 7: How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7).

Once you have the image saved, click on the Paperclip Icon next to the Smiley Icon. In the Manage Attachments window, click Browse and navigate to where you saved the image and select it.
Click the Upload button.
Close the Manage Attachments window.
Click on the Paperclip Icon again and select the image you uploaded. It will be placed in your post.

Note: Do this from both booted partitions please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/264182-windows-7-dual-boot-cant-access-inactive-partitions-c-drive.html
Relevancy 70.95%

hi,

I was prompted a while ago to update to Windows 10, but haven't had a reason to until recently, there's a game (Killer Instinct) which is Windows 10 only so I decided now's the time.

When I was prompted for the update originally, I followed a guide on this forum for turning the update file into a bootable iSO, I though this would let me install windows 10 on another partition so I could dual boot, but when I tried it asked me for my product key and didn't accept my original Windows 7 key.

I'm currently running windows 7 from a 120gb SSD, now partitioned in 2 equal half's. I was wondering if its possible for me to clone my existing Windows 7 drive to the 2nd partition, then do the Windows 10 update on either the clone or original drive for a dual boot setup. Is this possible ?

Thanks in advance

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/45757-can-i-clone-my-windows-7-drive-update-win10-dual-boot-use-both.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I've got one drive that's had Windows for a drive Dual as Instal in not - Second (SSD) disk 7 Windows Boot showing while I just bought an SSD drive and I'd like to dual boot for a while I've tried installing with formatting the SSD drive in Windows and Dual Boot Windows 7 - Second (SSD) drive not showing as disk in Instal make it a Primary Active partition I've also tried Dual Boot Windows 7 - Second (SSD) drive not showing as disk in Instal installing by deleting the partition and leaving it unallocated I tried creating a Primary partition but not active In all cases it doesn't show up as an option when trying to install Windows When I boot from the CD the only disk it shows is the disk for my already existing drive with Windows already installed I tried the steps from this thread Can't install windows on SSD drive - Super User but when I perform quot list disk quot from diskpart it still only shows disk--the already existing Windows disk And I originally started with these instructions Dual Boot Installation with Windows and Vista Finally I tried changing the boot up disk to the SSD drive making it first on the list in the BIOS by setting boot priority rebooted to the Windows disk and still the only disk that shows up is the original Win installed disk Another interesting note--my new TB storage drive doesn't show up in the list in the Windows install either How can I get my SSD drive to show up in the Windows install Another VERY interesting note I've never seen this before I disconnected my disk with Windows already installed so that it would have to find my SSD drive and it didn't It says quot No drives were found Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation quot

A:Dual Boot Windows 7 - Second (SSD) drive not showing as disk in Instal

1. Looks like you have a wiring problem.

2. When you format the SSD, make sure you also align it. The commands are:

Diskpart
List disk
Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your stick in List disk)
Clean
Create partition primary align=1024
Format fs=ntfs quick
Active
Exit

3. When you install on the SSD, disconnect all other drives

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/221818-dual-boot-windows-7-second-ssd-drive-not-showing-disk-instal.html
Relevancy 70.95%

OK I have a Dual Boot Boot Move Dual / 7 Windows BCD / installation to and new XP Win7 drive XP Win Pro desktop that Windows 7 and XP Dual Boot / Move Win7 installation to new drive / BCD my family uses A few years ago I got a legal copy Windows 7 and XP Dual Boot / Move Win7 installation to new drive / BCD of Windows Pro and I installed it on a second hard drive The intent was to get my family off of the WinXP OS eventually This computer has been dual booting fine for about years The second Hard drive is from a Raid array that was decommissioned at work Last year I got concerned that the first hard drive hard drive was Windows 7 and XP Dual Boot / Move Win7 installation to new drive / BCD years old and the second drive was also pretty old I bought a fast Barracuda TB drive and I moved the WinXP OS to a GB partion on new drive Unfortunately the GB was megabytes to small to move the Win install My wife was concerned that even Chrome is dropping support for XP I found out that Windows can resize a partition so I recently made the XP Partition smaller Now I was able to use EASEUS to move the Windows amp installation off the WD drive and into the second partition on the new drive At this point everything works So after copying the Win partition to the new drive I booted into Win on the old drive Drive administrator sees all three partitions Drive Part XP C DRIVE drive letter D Part W C DRIVE drive letter G Drive Part OLD W C DRIVE drive letter C Note Drive label re-named so I would not get confused I tried different tools to add a third entry in the boot menu pointing to the second partition of Drive The plan was once I was satisfied that the moved partition worked I would remove the entry pointing to the quot Old quot installation and remove the drive Tools quot DualBootRepair quot quot Visual BCD Editor quot Command line BCD I added the new entry and rebooted The computer crashed before displaying the boot menu I managed to quot Recover quot the installation on the quot OLD W C Drive quot I fiddled with it for many hours and now I have a boot menu with three entries Old Windows Recovered Windows XP New Windows Old Windows and Windows XP work fine However if I try to boot into quot New Windows quot I can log in it says quot Preparing your desktop quot for minutes then a little message appears in the lower right corner Windows Build This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine So I gave up for the time being That was two weeks ago I can boot into XP and Win using the original partitions I changed the default entry to boot Windows so the family gets used to Win with Classic Shell My wife is OK with that but she needs data from her XP desktop I need to get the Win installation moved so that I can run the User Transfer utility to transfer the files and be done with it I found a link on this forum that is close to what I want to do Windows Dual Boot Move one installation BCD The thing is in that post the person was trying to move a Windows installation off of the second partition of Drive and move it to the First partition of Drive I want to do exactly the opposite The Windows Not Genuine thing has me really puzzled Something I thought of but have not yet tried - Disconnect the Drive containing OLD W C DRIVE - Boot into Windows XP - Save a copy of the BCD - Run the BCD Edit tools from XP - If that does not work Boot using the Win install DVD and BCDedit from the recovery command prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/395934-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-move-win7-installation-new-drive-bcd.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Help

I can't boot into my xp drive from my Dual boot system. Primary and default boot is Win7 Secondary boot is WinXP. Both OS's are on separate drives. When I try to boot into the XP drive My error msg says:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file."

So far to this this I have reinstalled a Norton Ghost image of Windows 7. No Joy. I also tried to fix the boot sector from Windows 7 by using the repair function when installing the operating system. No Joy.

Evidently there are some other commands could use from the command prompt? Would they help. I have been using Windows since 1998 but I never learned the boot sector very well and am lost when trying to fix it.

A:Cannot boot into XP drive in Win7/XP Dual Boot System.

Install EasyBCD free version in Windows 7 and use it to add XP to the boot menu.

https://neosmart.net/Download/Register/1

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-boot-into-xp-drive-in-win7-xp-dual-boot-system.1122834/
Relevancy 70.09%

I am at the point of buying a new hard drive for an old computer. I've been told that it is possible to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu with a 80GB hard drive, but 120 GB would be preferred. I can get an 100GB (PATA/IDE) hard drive at a reasonable price. I just use simple email (not Outlook), internet browsing, MS Word, PDF documents. No games, no photography, no CAD/CAM or other activities that require a lot of space.

QUESTION: Is a 100GB enough hard drive space to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu?

Thank you,

C. (Bob)

A:Is 100GB hard drive enough space to dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu?

CCT,

Eighty gigabytes should be fine. Forty can be accomplished. A full Windows XP installation should be less than 20GB and can be slimmed down greatly. Ubuntu's requirements state 5GB. I wouldn't recommend purchasing a larger drive without need for multiple software installations.

Silekonn

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-100gb-hard-drive-enough-space-to-dual-boot-windows-xp-and-ubuntu.1119670/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello there!

I am trying to dual boot Windows 8 release preview along side my present Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. I understand that windows 7 only lets four partitions at once. My PC came in with four partitions, namely:

SYSTEM
(C
RECOVERY
HP TOOLS

So when I try to shrink the space in the C drive and go through the new simple volume wizard in the Disk Management, a message comes up saying the disk will be converted to dynamic if I proceed. I was a little confused and stopped there. I read a few threads online and downloaded the minitool partition wizard but I am really lost as to what to do. To summarize it all up, I am trying to dual boot windows 8 release preview but I have four partitions already so is there anyway I can delete one of them or create an extended partition? I also included screenshots of my partitions. Please help! Thank you in advance.

A:Hard drive partition problem in Windows 7 on a HP laptop for dual boot

You don't need the HP Tools partition, delete it and then shrink C to create unallocated space to create a new partition, then, when u install 8, use the setup.exe in the Sources folder, this allows for a custom install where u designate the partition. ...and welcome to the forum sneakymode!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/237176-hard-drive-partition-problem-windows-7-hp-laptop-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Yesterday I was going to format an external hdd however I accidentally format the system reserve drive cannot win7 mistake, reserve by format boot system drive with format system reserve drive by mistake, cannot boot win7 minitool partition wizard and disk management and then my win won't boot So I create a win iso boot format system reserve drive by mistake, cannot boot win7 usb it can go into the installation however when I click install is says no driver found i tried the swap usb driver method and still not working Additional information from the installation i found out that all other disk were fine all file are still there beside C the only thing left in my C drive is a file called temp so I assume maybe my win os has delete Sony laptop with win home premium bit os How should I fix this problem can i still recovery my C drive Any suggestion would be helpful I'm very appreciate that problem restate accidently format system reserve with minitool wizard installed win through burned dvd iso still cannot boot windows with hdd C drive said no label and only thing left was quot Temp quot file the installed win is in G drive - local disk

A:format system reserve drive by mistake, cannot boot win7

Where did you get the Windows ISO and how did you turn it into a boot USB?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/327872-format-system-reserve-drive-mistake-cannot-boot-win7.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi I bought HP laptop with the above said model from HP on st of september in sweden but i want to install Orcad v on my laptop but this software is compatible only for upto windows server or previous version of microsoft operating systems so when i want to install windows XP operating system i couldn t able to install since it was saying that it didnt recognize the hard dv6500 pavilion boot operating vista dual lapt a with HP on system installing windows disk and its necessary drivers in hard disk as well since I bought this laptop only to use orcad v version latest version as my primary need when i approached their service point they said it is not possible and you can find it in our website also about non compatibility of the other operating systems even it is from microsoft installing a dual boot windows operating system with vista on HP pavilion dv6500 lapt also but they did not say while i am buying laptop from them about the compatibility of other operating system it is due to faith on HP laptops but now they say that it will not then it is of o use to installing a dual boot windows operating system with vista on HP pavilion dv6500 lapt buy laptop from HP since they are controlling the freedom of choice of choosing operating system to use on HP laptops by the customer It is simply cheating the customer if any body suggests about how to get hardware drivers to install on HP laptop it would be a great help for me thanks and regards vasu nbsp

A:installing a dual boot windows operating system with vista on HP pavilion dv6500 lapt

Try and read this.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-85807-HP-Pavilion-dv6565ca-HD-SATA-driver.html

It mentions finding the intel SATA driver, putting it on a floppy, and pressing F6 during the WinXP install and loading the SATA drivers.
Then WinXP installer should find the hard drive.

However if you want to keep Vista around, you will have to resize your partition before attempting to install XP.
To do this you would need Partition Magic or GParted.

Then when you do install XP you have no guarantee that you will be able to find drivers for everything. Since HP doesn't seem to want to support XP, you will probably have to try installing drivers from the hardware makers. For example if the motherboard uses an Intel chipset, you will need the reference drivers from intel. I think it uses a GeForce video chipset, so you would need drivers from Nividia. You would also need ethernet drivers from whoever made the network chipset.
Its going to be a bit of searching.

If you can return it, try and find someone still making xp laptops, or at least still offering drivers for the hardware if you choose to install xp.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-a-dual-boot-windows-operating-system-with-vista-on-hp-pavilion-dv6500-lapt.625859/
Relevancy 69.23%

The simplest way to put boot, HDD's, Wrong is Dual SYSTEM Drive Two my problem is Two HDD's, Dual boot, Wrong Drive is SYSTEM that in DOS I could solve it with quot Two HDD's, Dual boot, Wrong Drive is SYSTEM sys C quot then FDisk to make sure the drive I want is Boot Active and System Some years ago I set up a TB SATA drive to dual boot XP Pro bit and bit Lots of things changed since then but drives C D and E are still there I bought Win Pro the day M made it available installed it on a new gig SATA drive and somehow set up dual boot with 'older OS' XP Pro no longer runs Win Pro RC and the full retail Win Pro Right the only functioning OS in the boot menu is Win Pro retail I discovered yesterday morning that the new gig Win drive is NOT the system drive The old TB drive did not spin up and the boot menu returned the error quot ntldr not found press CTRL ALT DELETE to reboot quot DUH Back in DOS days gaming I had to know how to do all this stuff manually You sure didn't get any help from Windows But I haven't had to even install an OS often enough to remember much about the process in years So is there a simple easy way to make my Win installation drive the System drive Then can I do away with the multi boot menu and just boot straight into Win Pro like I want to Thanks all

A:Two HDD's, Dual boot, Wrong Drive is SYSTEM

We need to see a picture of your maximized Disk Mgmt drive map with listings - using the Snipping Tool in Start Menu - to give you the exact steps. Screen Shots

Tell us what is on each partition, which you want to keep and elminate, and whether you want to recover the disk space for those deleted and to where.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/212165-two-hdds-dual-boot-wrong-drive-system.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I have a dual-boot setup. Volume C runs Vista Home Premium. Volume F runs Vista Ultimate. (Vol. D is a recovery volume.) I would like to blow away C: and boot only from F. Would the following be a possible/advisable solution?

1. Boot from F.
2. Delete C.
3. Rename F "C".
4. Expand F (the new "C") to include the old C.

Thanks!

A:Can I delete the C drive from a dual boot system?

i dont think its possible without screwing up all your installed programs.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/236482-can-i-delete-c-drive-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a new machine with 64 bit windows 7 and is running just fine. Another machine is running windows xp pro 32 bit and I want to take it's C: drive with xp running and stick it into my new machine and use it for a dual boot drive without messing up the register.
I have several apps running on that machine that would like to keep running just as they are but under the cover of the new machine.

Both machines are sata drives. I can put the old C: drive into the bay on the new box but obviously can't run the XP apps that I want to run.

I also do not want to mess up my nice new windows 7 OS. Are any of the tutorials addressing this where the XP OS is already installed?

A:want to dual boot with a xp system hard drive from another machine

Welcome!

You probably will have issues with drivers, moving a hard drive from one machine to another. I have to recommend a clean install of XP.

Check out this tutorial: Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

You may try adding the XP boot entry into 7's boot loader using EasyBCD 2.0: Download EasyBCD 2.0.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/103330-want-dual-boot-xp-system-hard-drive-another-machine.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I installed a new second hard drive on my system, so that I could set up the second hard drive to my likeings before making it the primary drive. Now that I have it loaded properly, will I be able to just unplug the primary drive, put the jumper on the second drive to the primary position and be ok??

Both of the drives have Win XP Home... but I noticed that when I boot to the second hard drive, it takes allot longer to boot up than the primary drive does. So I wasn't sure if some of the actual boot records are still on the primary drive, and that is why it takes longer for the second drive to boot up.

My final intentions are for the new second drive to be my primary drive, and then maybe use the old primary drive as a data drive.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Wayne

A:Dual Boot system back to single drive.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Wayne

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-system-back-to-single-drive.396024/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi there Im sure many of you must know the answer to my situation I have Hard drives C and E C gb XP PRO HOME USAGE E gb XP PRO LEOPARD BUSINESS USAGE Windows have automatically created a dual boot screen for me to go into either OP But as E drive is dual boot hidden make to system C How on drive newly installed everytime i installed some How to make C drive hidden on dual boot system selected software it automatically installs in C Drive But there are some small softwares where i can manually change the installation Destination folder My E Drive has windows sp and i have sp cd update from windows WHen i install it it automatically installs it on my current C Drive Is there anyway when i do login to a selected operating system that i become automatically C eg if from dual boot i select quot XP Leopard quot whats actually installed on E but when i How to make C drive hidden on dual boot system do login and go to my computer I automatically become C drive and make the orignal C to E like switching So i stay main installation drive Im really comfused and dont know what to do or use Could someone experienced in this area help me out nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-make-c-drive-hidden-on-dual-boot-system.134100/
Relevancy 67.94%

I am needing to create Window 98 and Windows XP dual boot system from scratch.

Can I just use Win 98 startup up disk to start doing the install and will it do partitions or do I need to use FDISK to create partitions.

I relize the Windows 98 uses only FAT 32 and not the newish sytem of NSFS (spelling) system in where Windows XP does also that Windows 98 goes in C:\windows and Windows XP goes in D:\windows.

From scratch as if new hard drive do I need to use FDISK? or can I just start by inserting Windows 98 starup disk and it will ask me to create partitions (2), etc?

David

A:Windows 98 and Windows XP dual boot system (step by step)

XP then 98

Install Guides: http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win98/install98cd/index.htm http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxpprox64/installxpcdnewhdd/indexemu.htm
XP must be installed first!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-98-and-windows-xp-dual-boot-system-step-by-step.135738/
Relevancy 67.94%

I set up an XP Win dual boot system using partitions on a single hard disk XP was pre-installed All seemed to go smoothly except for the fact that I couldn't boot from the Win DVD for some reason The process would start loading files from the DVD but would keep stalling just Drive Dual System Letters Boot Setup Swapping in after the progress bar got to and disappeared Swapping System Drive Letters in Dual Boot Setup After several attempts and trying different DVD drives I ended up just running the Win setup exe from XP and that got the install completed The problem is when I boot into Win the system drive is designated as quot W quot not quot C quot quot W quot is the letter I assigned to it when creating the partition that would hold Win I hate this Some people mentioned in different how-to's I checked out that their dual boot system automatically designates the system drive as quot C quot regardless Swapping System Drive Letters in Dual Boot Setup of which OS they boot into Swapping System Drive Letters in Dual Boot Setup or partition letters assigned to each OS How can I get that to work Everything else seems to be working properly when in either XP or Win

A:Swapping System Drive Letters in Dual Boot Setup

The problem you are faced with is that by default Windows looks for the boot files on your C drive and that is why you've got a problem.

I'm fairly certain there is no other way round your problem, but to boot into Windows 7 and change the system (Windows) drive letter to C.

I'm just intrigued as to why you dislike the default settings so much.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/202014-swapping-system-drive-letters-dual-boot-setup.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I set up an XP Win dual boot system using partitions on a single hard disk XP was pre-installed All seemed to go smoothly except for the fact that I couldn't boot from the Win DVD for some reason The process would start loading files from the DVD but would keep stalling just after the progress bar got to and disappeared After several attempts and trying different DVD in Dual Setup Drive System Letters Boot Swapping drives I ended up just running the Win setup exe from XP and that got the install completed The problem is when I boot into Win the system drive is designated as quot W quot Swapping System Drive Letters in Dual Boot Setup not Swapping System Drive Letters in Dual Boot Setup quot C quot quot W quot is the letter I assigned to it when creating the partition that would hold Win I hate this Some people mentioned in different how-to's I checked out that their dual boot system automatically designates the system drive as quot C quot regardless of which OS they boot into or partition letters assigned to each OS How can I get that to work Everything else seems to be working properly when in either XP or Win

A:Swapping System Drive Letters in Dual Boot Setup

See MS site: Change, add, or remove a drive letter
Not sure if this still applies, but in early development versions, if you had dual boot XP & 7, booting in XP destroyed 7 System Restore points.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/swapping-system-drive-letters-in-dual-boot-setup-617574.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I`m trying to setup a dual boot. The primary drive has Win98SE. In error, Win2KPro as a new fresh install ended up setup on the primary drive. What is the proper proceedure to remove all traces of W2000 Pro on the pri drive and reinstall on the secondary drive. The second drive (as per Maxtor Support) previously had the Write Dick Pack option (low-level format) using the PowerMax utility. Then using MaxBlast to reformat and partition the 2nd drive. Could you outline the proper proceedures. I class my computor skills as beginner. Although I have installed and max`ed out my PC133 memory. Added a graphics card upgrade, and a 2nd drive. Please make the sun shine again? Thanks, Bruce. PS: I could run a Diag Utility AIDA32, if you need more info. tnx!

A:Win2KPro installed wrong drive, dual boot system.

Since you are dual booting, the best way to Uninstall Windows 2000 is explained in this guide. http://www.budja.com/w2k/uninstall_w2k.html

However, on the other hand, if you just installed Windows 98 with nothing to lose.. you might as well wipe the drive clean using a format and resetup everything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win2kpro-installed-wrong-drive-dual-boot-system.131046/
Relevancy 67.94%

Here's the situation I have a quot Sager laptop with two hard drives set up with How? SSD? Remove 10 Win drive system boot original and dual in replace dual boot The first drive is the OEM drive that came in the laptop and Win After I installed my work software and made sure the machine was Remove original drive in dual boot system and replace Win 10 SSD? How? stable I used the computer in this configuration for a Remove original drive in dual boot system and replace Win 10 SSD? How? few months I then decided to set up dual boot using a Crucial SSD drive with Win in the vacant nd hard drive bay This allowed me to work from the old drive while I organized the SSD with my work software Remove original drive in dual boot system and replace Win 10 SSD? How? AutoCad Rhino etc and made sure it was stable After the SSD setup it became my primary drive and I never used the OEM drive again Now with Win about to be released I was thinking about removing the idle l OEM drive and adding a new SSD and Win This would let me keep working from the Win SSD However If I remember correctly the dual boot information Boot Manager is on the original drive Wouldn't removing that drive also disable the current Win SSD It has been about years since I dug into a computer and much has changed I'm hoping someone here can give me info suggestions or even a step by step procedure to get this right thanks in advance

A:Remove original drive in dual boot system and replace Win 10 SSD? How?

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image
with all drives connected.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/375275-remove-original-drive-dual-boot-system-replace-win-10-ssd-how.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I set up an XP Win dual boot system using partitions on a single hard disk XP was pre-installed All seemed to go smoothly except for the fact that I couldn t boot from the Win DVD for some reason The process would start loading files from the DVD but would keep stalling just after the progress bar got to and disappeared After several attempts and trying different DVD drives I ended up just running the Win setup exe from XP and that got the install completed in Letters System Setup Dual Boot Drive Swapping The problem is when I boot into Win the system drive is designated as quot W quot not quot C quot quot W quot is the letter I assigned to it when creating the partition that would hold Win I hate this Some Swapping System Drive Letters in Dual Boot Setup people mentioned in different how-to s I checked out that their dual boot system automatically designates the system drive as quot C quot regardless of which OS they boot into or partition letters assigned to each OS How can I get that to work Everything else seems to Swapping System Drive Letters in Dual Boot Setup be working properly when in either XP or Win nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/swapping-system-drive-letters-in-dual-boot-setup.1030725/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi I hope someone out there can give me boot drive with on letter advice issue Need system dual some advice on what I need to do I've just bought a new computer for making music on this is an upgrade from my old XP system The computer comes with when it arrives windows Need advice on dual boot system with drive letter issue Vista I have also bought another copy of XP What I would like to do is create a dual boot system with XP and Vista but after looking into this I came across a problem I have a second hard drive with all my music files on which is an E drive After reading an installation guide for a dual boot system I read that the second OS installation automatically installs the OS as E My problem is that my GB E drive is full with music project files that need to run from the E drive because they contain audio files changing the drive letter would cause each project to be unable to locate it's audio files What I need to know is if there is a way I can install the two OSs on one hard drive and keep my other hard drive as E I've heard about virtual PC but I'm not sure if using this it would be possible doing it this way either If anyone's got any advice it'd help me out loads Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/250953-need-advice-dual-boot-system-drive-letter-issue.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I am a newbie here so apologies for the long post My PC recently went into hibernation mode and soon after i restarted windows noticed sector errors and fixed them in RAW SSD now "missing 7 system" Windows format! boot operating HOWEVER since then it will not start windows and now it tells me quot missing operating system quot I can access the motherboard boot screen and see all of the drives including disc drive i have used the command prompt and can see that all the drives Windows 7 boot SSD now in RAW format! "missing operating system" are active however the SSD boot drive is Windows 7 boot SSD now in RAW format! "missing operating system" not NTFS but RAW I have tried using my windows ultimate backup disc amp a windows Home premium install disc but both will not let me access windows without a fresh install Could this be as simple as the driver for the SSD is no longer on the PC and i now need to source it and install it or is it likely that the drive is ruined I have a NAS which has the windows backup's stored on there however the PC will not let me access the NAS without installing Windows can i install the Home premium version on a new SSD and restore the ultimate from my NAS backup once the windows install is complete In addition is there any way to rescue the data on the corrupt SDD or to reuse the SSD etc etc Sorry for all the questions but hopefully someone can help

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/394602-windows-7-boot-ssd-now-raw-format-missing-operating-system.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

A:Reinstalling Windows 7 on 7/10 dual boot breaks dual boot

Originally Posted by Carsomyr

I installed the 10 tech preview along side my win 7 ultimate, I reinstalled, the Windows 7 side of the HDD because after however many years the OS had a LOT of clutter, and even though windows update was a nightmare I finally got all the updates installed and only the necessary drivers/software installed for the upgrade. However reinstalling 7 ruined my dual boot, I can no longer boot into the 10 tech preview... I was on build 10166, and I only have an ISO of 10162 which fails on startup repair... need suggestions on how to fix the bootloader to see both OS!

This is a good MSDN topic:
Adding Boot Entries (Windows Drivers)

Read it and ask any questions, lots of members know this stuff and can help guide you if you need it.

Make sure you're reading the information on BCDedit - that's the tool for Win7 and higher.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/8155-reinstalling-windows-7-7-10-dual-boot-breaks-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello Everyone ,

i was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter :
i have windows7 and Redhat on my Laptop , i have removed and reinstalled the Windows7 last night and after that lost the Dual boot option , in fact the system is booting on windows7 and there is no option to chose linux ,

as far as i know , i should edit the msconfig file which i tried and couldn`t make it dual boot ,

Please check the attachment file ,

Thank you

A:dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot

Read this: Fixed Windows - But Now Grub is Gone?

Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/88580-dual-boot-reinstall-windows-lost-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Was trying to delete Linux from my dual boot and I accidentally the whole Windows 8 boot loader (again). But this time is worse.

I have Linux installed to get the boot loader back. Windows appears in the GRUB boot menu, but it is corrupted and will not boot. When I try to boot from it, it now goes to a "preparing automatic repairs" screen followed by an "attempting repairs" screen. I'm given an "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC." Then it takes me to the Windows 8 recovery options.

Before it got corrupted, I tried doing a system restore from the recovery options but had to force a shutdown because the restore got stuck and would not end even after 10 hours had passed. That was probably a bad idea.

What should I try next?

A:Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

if you have a windows 8 disk, you can try a startup repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/borked-my-windows-linux-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-anymore-701798.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I am trying to dual boot with 2 different hard drives and 2 different systems. One is Vista x64 and the other is Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. After installing the hard drive with Windows 7 which came from a different computer, I used EasyBCD to configure the boot order. Windows vista still works, but when I want to switch to Windows 7 I get:

FILE \windows\system32\winload.exe
info: windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.

After some search I have found this old thread from this same forum. Here is the link: dual boot windows 7 and vista boot error winload.exe

The Op seems to have similar problem as me. I just don't get all the follow up instructions in the thread dealing with bootrec since I haven't encountered it before (I think...). Any thoughts?

A:Dual boot windows vista and windows 7 boot error winload.exe

The best way to Dual Boot OS's on separate HD's is to set the preferred OS HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, then when needed trigger the other using the one-time BIOS Boot Menu key.

If this is not desireable, then set Win7 HD as Primary HD and first HD to boot in BIOS setup, install easyBCD to Win7 to add XP.

Before doing this delete any EasyBCD listing for the other HD you've already made in Edit OS Menu tab.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/355211-dual-boot-windows-vista-windows-7-boot-error-winload-exe.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all I am having some problems I am hoping I may be able to get some advice on I have a new laptop that came with Windows Vista Model is Toshiba Satellite A -S I have been trying to load Windows Repair boot Vista boot dual and and Windows XP MBR loader it with Windows XP because Windows Vista kind of sucks for my computing needs I am pretty sure a format and clean install will wreck my warranty hence the dual boot So far I have been able to partition and install XP SP- to a partition I ve booted into XP fine but my Vista partition is not available I think that the partition table or MBR has been corrupted So to repair Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot this what I did was boot up from the Vista recovery DVD and run the startup repair option to reload the bootloader for Vista and thus enable dual booting When I rebooted I got a black screen saying Invalid Partition Table or something to this effect I tried repairing the MBR and so on and so forth from the console on the recovery DVD but this proved to be Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot pretty much totally fruitless So I went through and did an install of Windows XP once again to my other drive partition I had created So I am basically where I started I need to know if somebody knows how I can repair the drives MBR or partition table to make it readable under Windows to at least pull my important files off of or to boot into Any ideas would be enormously appreciated Attached I will include a visual of what s up with my hard drive situation Thank you Jacob Also I will cross-reference this to a couple of forums I have posted to with no results as they may have some information I have forgotten to include http www geekstogo com forum Hard-Disc-MBR-Problems-New-Vista-Downgrade-t html These are some instructions I came across which more or less explain how I went about doing the install http www howtogeek com forum topic howto-windows-xp-install-on-a-vista-computer nbsp

A:Repair boot loader and MBR Windows XP and Windows Vista dual boot

bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-boot-loader-and-mbr-windows-xp-and-windows-vista-dual-boot.666827/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all,

I followed some instructions to remove the Windows 8 Dual Boot by just deleting the Windows 8 Partition and that there was no need to edit the boot menu as everything will be done automatically after restart.

Now, when I tried to reboot my computer, the computer hangs at the screen where you are suppose to select to boot up Windows 7 or Windows 8.

As I had deleted Windows 8 Already, it should not prompt me to select to boot Windows 8 but rather directly boot into Windows 7.

How should I proceed from here ? I am currently installing Fedora Dual Boot on my laptop so hopefully I am able to do some salvaging from there....

Thanks in advance !

Warmest Regards,
Zeke

A:Windows 7 Crashes at Boot Manager after Deleting Windows 8 Dual Boot

Take a windows 7 installation DVD/USB thumbdrive, boot from it, select "I want to repair my computer" and then do a "startup repair".

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/294576-windows-7-crashes-boot-manager-after-deleting-windows-8-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guys i installed windows and windows server in different partition I first installed windows and then installed windows server I dont know if that makes much of a difference However -----after installing - Dual boot Windows Server and pro loader 2008 7 boot Windows the server i could not see the windows in my boot loader so i had to turn the windows partition to active- to boot from windows seven -----It turned my server partition to logical and could not see the server os in boot loader So how would i add both of them in the boot loader so that i can select one of the two after i boot I Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader had to download acronis disk director to turn the logical drive to primary again So the question is how is it possible Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to get both the boot OS in the boot loadter I don't want to do a dual boot through vhd just in case someone suggests me that screen shot of my disk Update i changed the windows server partion back Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader to active and tried to boot now it says bootmgr is missing

A:Dual boot Windows 7 pro and Windows Server 2008 - boot loader

I don't know how marking Win7 Active to repair it so it would start would convert the Server partition to Logical. I've never heard of such a thing.

To add the missing OS, install EasyBCD to add it on the Add New Entry tab.

EasyBCD (free Download at bottom of page - no name or email required)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/244854-dual-boot-windows-7-pro-windows-server-2008-boot-loader.html