Windows Support Forum

Can I get Win10 for free after July 29th this year?

Q: Can I get Win10 for free after July 29th this year?

I already know about the trick where you update then revert, and the computer you updated on will be able to upgrade again for free after July 29th, but what if I won't have the computer I want to upgrade until after this date?

I'm getting a MacBook Air in August. I like how any programs made for Macs will work (for the most part) because each Mac has set specs, but I'm not a huge fan of the Mac OS. But then I learned about dual booting on Mac, and so I thought that if I dual booted Mac and Windows I'd get the best of both worlds. But then I learned that Windows 10 will only be free until July 29th, so is there a way I can 'reserve' the copy until then? Or will I just have to pay the $119 if I really want to do it?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can I get Win10 for free after July 29th this year?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Can I get Win10 for free after July 29th this year?

Someone else might think of a way but the answer is no. You can't get a free upgrade after 7/29.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/51762-can-i-get-win10-free-after-july-29th-year.html
Relevancy 31.82%

A leaked Intel roadmap tipped us off in January that desktop versions of Intel's Broadwell CPU would arrive by the middle of this year. We now know that information to be true.

Read more

A:Intel: overclocker-friendly 14nm desktop Broadwell CPUs to arrive by mid-year

Sounds exciting, I'll wait for that to hit the shelfs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-overclocker-friendly-14nm-desktop-broadwell-cpus-to-arrive-by-mid-year.209438/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have an installation folder on my main machine(Windows 7) with all my software. I have repeatedly run into issues connecting odd devices to my shared folder. This time I have installed Windows 10 Technical Preview (on a different machine) and don't understand why it tells me I can't access my own machine. After all these years, you would think user friendly would be a reality. It seems to be a coin toss as to which machines will connect. I hate never knowing I can access my own machine without issue. Here I am trying to install applications but yet I can't get to my storage location.

What is the secret to sharing your machine, so that anyone on the same network can access shared folders?

Edit: I always turn on "Network Discovery" and "File and Print Sharing".

A:Network connection issues (year after year)

I'm more brutal via the firewall:

set trust localhost and your lan ip's, eg 192.168.0.1/24

then add two rules for only the PRIVATE PROFILE

inbound allow tcp/udp from 192.168.0.1/24 to any for ports 137-139,445
outbound allow tcp/udp from any to 192.168.0.1/24 for ports 137-139,445
I use a much more complicate scheme in reality to enforce known vs unknown devices and to segregate WiFI from wired access, but that's just me.

In services, ensure these are running

Bonjour Service ( mDNSResponder)
fdPHost
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-connection-issues-year-after-year.208880/
Relevancy 33.54%

I have an eMachines ET1331-02 desktop. (Yes, VERY outdated, but can't get a new one, don't ask why.)

I do quite a bit of gaming and need to be able to run many applications at the same time. Can I get recommendations of upgrade paths?

A:Need MAJOR upgrades for my 3+ year old computer

The machine is quite weak since it only has a dual core CPU. This will limit you when it comes to gaming and running many applications. What you can do though if you dont want to get a new machine is upgrade the graphics driver to the latest one supporting your old Geforce 6150SE chipset >>here<<. You can also upgrade your ram to the max it can take. You can use this tool to help determine how much and what RAM to purchase. I also recommend possibly clean installing Windows (wiping it completely and starting from scratch) since that usually gives a nice performance boost. You can check out how to do a clean install here. Keep in mind, if you upgrade from 4GB to something more, you will need a 64bit OS, or else the OS cannot take advantage of the extra RAM. You can download a legitimate copy from here. You can use the Windows 7 key pasted on your machine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-major-upgrades-for-my-3-year-old-computer.202555/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello all,

I've recently bought a HP Pavilion 15-n252sq laptop, with Free Dos - unfortunately I can't install Windows 7 over it, due to the following error I keep receiveing in the Installation screen:

"Select the driver to be installed" - and regardless of the paths I have and the available folders, I can not seem to proceed wtih the W7 installation.

Please notice that, I've tried to use both a W7 DVD and also a bootable USB drive (and yes, connected in the USB 2.0 port and not USB 3.0 ) - but I always get to the same point where I have to select drivers.

Please also notice that the BIOS doesn't allow me to make any modifications except for some minor ones (like select boot priority, or enable USB 3.0), as the rest of the MAIN features are greyed out .

Can anyone please help me with this issue?

Regards,
Adrian

A:HP Pavilion 15-n252sq - Can not install Windows over Free Dos

You may have to use a program Like KillDisk to reformat the drive. Then try installing your Win 7 DVD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-15-n252sq-can-not-install-windows-over-free-dos.202523/
Relevancy 33.54%

I belive it needed a clean

A:My 8 year old PC build state :)

If anyone can identify the fire image wires which are loose pls do speak since my microphone and speakers stopped working for headset

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-8-year-old-pc-build-state.190950/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have a Seagate ST500DM002 using windows 7.
it shows around 150GB free space, when I delete files from it (not to recycle bin), it still shows the same amount of free space, even after restart, any advice?

A:Hard drive won't free up space after deleting files

This is a 500GB drive, right? How is it configured, as a boot or spare drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-wont-free-up-space-after-deleting-files.190258/
Relevancy 19.78%

Running vista home premium -bit with GB on readings erroneous HDD space/free Used space HDD When I open quot Computer quot it shows graphically and numerically the used and free space on my drives C - normally shows GB free of GB D - Factory image - GB free of GB K - HP Pocket media drive GB free of GB The problem I am having applies only to C with the others remaining unchanged The graphical representation of free used space is in Used space/free space on HDD erroneous readings blue and white normally Here is the problem The last couple of weeks when I open quot Computer quot I sometimes get C - GB free of GB and the graphical representation is in red not blue I got an error message the other day that I did not have free space to do what I wanted to do When I checked free space it was showing in red free space of GB instead of the normal plus GB As soon as I reboot the free space is shown as the correct amount - plus GB Anyone know what is going on and how I correct it nbsp

A:Used space/free space on HDD erroneous readings

I would cleanup like this

on your normal login

get a cmd prompt and enter cleanmgr

do it again using an admin login

Then verify the free vs total space

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/used-space-free-space-on-hdd-erroneous-readings.186155/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi there I own an Alesis Multimix Firewire which I use to record music on my PC I connect this to my Computer via can (Code 12) use that free This enough it cannot device resources find VIA PCI IEEE Adapter Firewire Everything s been fine up until now it seems my computer won t recognize when the firewire cable is connected to the computer So I flipped open the motherboard and made sure the adapter was connected into the slot properly as sometimes it can slide out a bit since it is at a weird angle when the PC sits upright I rebooted again and it said that the Firewire adapter had been detected Tried connecting the Alesis and still nothing Went into System and Device Manager and under the IEEE Bus host controller tab it shows OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller with a highlighted exclamation mark over it I click into the properties of this and it says under This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12) the General Tab This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use Code If you want to use this device you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system More specifically under the This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12) Details Tab it says this PCI VEN amp DEV This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12) amp SUBSYS amp REV amp DC A amp amp Not sure entirely what this means I googled it and a lot of ppl saying to try and update the drivers etc but I don t think that this will do any good as the last driver was back in and I don t think any new drivers have been made since Looking for a logical answer to this one Any help would be greatly appreciated Attached a DXdiag file below too Thanks nbsp

A:This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12)

Looks like the motherboard's USB channels or chipset needs to be updated or re-installed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/this-device-cannot-find-enough-free-resources-that-it-can-use-code-12.180628/
Relevancy 33.54%

hi all I built my pc about a year ago as like a project one, im looking to upgrade so will give as much specs as I can and see what all think on what I should upgrade.
motherboard p5kpl-am-epu ,,, cpu- intel core 2 duo E6750 2.66ghz
2gb kinston ram ,,, 500gb sata hard drive upgraded from 240gb 3 months ago,, 750watt psu
geforce nvidia 8800gt graphics card

A:Built my PC last year now looking to upgrade

What's it used for Terry?

Whether it even needs updating depends on what you use it for really, hence asking. If you use it for gaming, let us know a few games you play and at what resolutions you prefer to play at.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/built-my-pc-last-year-now-looking-to-upgrade.182963/
Relevancy 33.97%

I am trying to figure out what I should upgrade on my PC. It's about six years old. I have attached a screen shot of the specs, any advice would be greatly appriciated!

A:Possible upgrade on six-year-old PC

You shouldn't really start 2 threads when they're asking pretty much the same question.

What to upgrade depends on what you use the computer for. If it's general surfing and watching videos etc. then an SSD will work wonders (even though it might not perform at its peak potential on your system). SSD prices have come down a lot in the last few weeks and a 128GB drive is pretty affordable. If it's gaming you're after then upgrade your video card, you have a PCI-E slot so any current GPU will be compatible.

I wouldn't upgrade the RAM though, DDR1 is old tech and very expensive compared to DDR3.

Also what's your budget for the upgrade?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-upgrade-on-six-year-old-pc.181761/
Relevancy 33.11%

I have a 7 year old desktop, give a year or 2. Its a dell dimension 8400. It has a ATI Radeon X300 at the moment and i want to upgrade.

Could any one help on where to look for a graphics card that would suit the system, or even suggestions?

Not too sure on the power supply, and wouldnt mind an old enough one that would suit the system, think its about 350w.

A:Graphics card for 7-year-old Dimension 8400

According to the Dell? Dimension? 8400 Service Manual, you do have a 350W Power Supply. If you open the case and look at the label on the PSU, it should tell you the ratings for the unit.

Here is a list of cards(newegg search) that should would well for you. I wouldn't worry about a more powerful card as your system would be a bottleneck as well as the 350W cap for power.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-for-7-year-old-dimension-8400.176534/
Relevancy 32.68%

Hi all I am having problems with the fan of my Ninja cpu cooler days ago when I turned on the computer a CPU for doesn't Ninja (Scythe after year 3) fan My spin working I found out that the CPU fan wasnt spinning because of the quot CPU Fan error quot warning and I tried to plug another fan in the CPU FAN motherboard connector the fan of the stock My CPU fan (Scythe Ninja 3) doesn't spin after working for a year cpu cooler and when I started the computer it spinned so I thought that the Ninja fan was wrong and I decided to take it to the store where I bought it in order to get it replaced But next day I turned on the computer and the fan was spinning at the correct RPM S so I didnt take it to the store and the next days it worked too yesterday I didnt use the computer but today I started the computer and I got the quot cpu fan error quot warning again And here is my doubt today I have tried to plug the fan in another connector of the motherboard instead of the CPU Fan one and it worked s and it seemed to me because of the noise that it was spinning faster than normal and I found in the motherboard user guide that the connector in which I My CPU fan (Scythe Ninja 3) doesn't spin after working for a year plugged the fan CHA FAN is a V one I dont know if this is too much voltage because it doesnt say the CPU fan connector s voltage but I thought that the normal voltage for a fan was V that would explain the higher speed I think sorry for my ignorance here is the page of the motherboards manual with the information of the different fan connectors Please help Why does the fan spin when pluged in to the CHA Fan connector but not in the CPU Fan one Can I use the computer with the fan connected to the cha fan connector For what I said do you think that it is the cooler fan what is broken or it can be the motherboard s cpu fan connector and why did the fan just stop spinning after year of working properly S thank you and sorry for my english Im spanish nbsp

A:My CPU fan (Scythe Ninja 3) doesn't spin after working for a year

We likely need to know more about your system... It is not unusual for a quality CPU fan to give up after a year of hard use.
Hard to give you an answer without knowing the motherboard, power supply, operating system and such... as well as scans for infestations.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-cpu-fan-scythe-ninja-3-doesnt-spin-after-working-for-a-year.175143/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hello tech forums My friends computer has been having a very odd issue regarding cpu usage I noticed it when trying to play DC universe online and noticed big fps issues in character creation all settings being turned down After that I monitored resources to see if anything is amiss and soon enough I saw my cpu usage randomnly spiking Also it easily hits and is probably trying to use more when DC Universe is on The other odd thing I saw was that the cpu usually operated at a higher frequency than actually being used in resource manager I have uninstalled Startup toolbar updater thinking it was using too. reason. Already for no malware overused CPU free tested being too much resources and have used the malware tech support to see if it was a infestation of any kind No dice all scans came up relatively CPU being overused for no reason. Already tested malware free too. clean My only other thought is that it might be DMA being reverted to PIO or some software issue This is my last shot before I reformat this frigging labtop gt lt Only thing stopping me is the possibility that it might be hardware though I can t imagine why On another note maybe the cpu is just messed up Whenever it spikes i don t see a reason why nbsp

A:CPU being overused for no reason. Already tested malware free too.

Okay some new observations. With a room temp of 12 C my CPU idles at 45 C. Mobo is seeing 25 C during this. Also just watching the CPU usage through speed fan for a couple of hours I noticed that it likes to dance between 2% - 5% constantly. Occasionally spike to 30% or 50%. Also, it can't hand DC universe at all. Through CPU-Z The processor seems to be acting normal. It runs at half power when it's not being used much and jumps to normal speed. That might explain a little bit of spikage, but it's performance overall doesn't make sense. It shouldn't be jumping so high when I start DC online.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-being-overused-for-no-reason-already-tested-malware-free-too.173267/
Relevancy 33.54%

I am looking for a way to bring an old IBM desktop machine that I built Into more sutible working conditions. Does any one have any Ideas on how I can update the innerds of my computer?
I know this very vauge but I dont have the computer with me now and am looking to stock up on what I need (Info and parts) Before I get back to it.
\Thanks?

A:Best way to update graphics on five-year-old IBM desktop

We heed to know the components you have before we can recommend upgrades. What is the IBM model number - or better a link to the IBM spec list for it - and what new components did you put in?

Also, what is your budget and how do you use the PC?

For a starter on learning about video card upgrades, I recommend this site:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/

Pay particular attention to the criteria page that addresses system constraints in the upgrade process - and helps you define your wants and needs in a way that is useful:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/criteria.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-update-graphics-on-five-year-old-ibm-desktop.169271/
Relevancy 33.54%

It's a Gateway model LP2207 and it has a strange problem. On bootup this morning, the monitor did not display anything at all. Just black. I rebooted, then when that didn't work, I unplugged the monitor and plugged in another one. It came on and I was able to work with it all day. At end of day, I tried the gateway again. Nothing.

Here's the strange part. When turned on, the gateway logo appears for a few seconds, indicating to me, the backlight (or whatever supplies the light for the thing, is working. But after that, nothing happens.

I would think that if the light source was out, it would not show the logo!!
Oh, and yes, I hooked it up to 3 other computers with the same result. Any ideas?

A:Two-year-old flatscreen monitor problems

Solution found, if anyone is interested. Seems the problem is not the light source. The logo flashes when turned on but during that initialization period, a safety net kicks in and stops the monitor from continuing the boot process within it's own circuitry. That reaction is due to some unknown problem within. The result is an apparent useless monitor. Solution is to scrap the monitor as cost of repair is likely to surpass the cost of a new one.

I expected that but didn't want to act on it until I got confirmation from good sources. I might add that Gateway support did not contribute to this solution.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-year-old-flatscreen-monitor-problems.168230/
Relevancy 23.65%

Ok, can anyone help with this one?

I noticed that my PC was being reeaally slow recently so I attempted to clear some space, I did all the usual stuff: deleted unused programmes, emptied the recycle bin etc but its still slow and showing just 3% space remaning!!

How can this be? Surely I can't have used all the capacity!! How do I see what's using the most space?

Anyone?

Any advice most appreciated...

A:Only 3% free space remaining - how come?

Hi,

Ali that is a worm/virus.
If you can try installing spybot, if you get luck with it make sure you run it, it will do it magic.
How ever to create some bit of space, you go to run, and type %temp%
press enter and shift + delete all you find there...
its safe...
Hope that helps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/only-3-free-space-remaining-how-come.160736/
Relevancy 23.65%

I want 2 know this cause i want 2 host my Counter-strike source server on a vpn rather than hosting it on my PC.Please tell me of any u know of

A:Is there such thing of a free VPN

Not that I know of, unless you work out a deal with another Counter Strike clan to host your version on their machine as well. Setting up two dedicated Counter Strike servers on one machine might be quite a pain, though.

The system you describe in your profile should run a CSS server with out noticeably slowing down any thing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-such-thing-of-a-free-vpn.159063/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi,

Please help.

I am really sick of Belkin's phone support help that does nothing but read from a list telling you to turn on and off your router. You practically have to cry before they put you through to a real tech! And of course you can't sign in or join their support list online either.

Our router network works perfectly on all our computers except for one Compaq Desktop PC. It shows that it has a connection, but Explorer or Netscape will not work. (The only two browsers he has on it.) We have updated all the software and drivers and they even charged us for it.

Would anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks

A:Router- Five year-old Compaq not browsing

OK; confirming that other systems attached to that router work just fine and only the Compaq Desktop PC is failing to access webpages - - -

Please report the system info: eg Win/XP/Pro, Vista, Win/7 ... ?

Get a command prompt ( start -> run -> cmd ) and then enter ipconfig /all >myTCP.txt
Copy the contents of myTCP.txt and paste that in your follow-up.

We are looking to see how that PC has the networked configured ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-five-year-old-compaq-not-browsing.154523/
Relevancy 33.11%

I have a Dell XPS M that turned one year last week During that week I made screenshots of the CPUID-information delivered to me I use this wonderful piece of software to monitor Battery development capacity a a over and year week, the temperature of the notoriously hot computer and after mye last harddrive-crash I found the new version contains information about the battery too I wonder How can Battery capacity development over a week, and a year the current full charge capacity swing so much on a day to day basis And is it normal that the battery has lost of its capacity during the first year Even though lithium batteries are not supposed to have a memory-effect I still cling to the quot empty first load thereafter quot -strategy and have had good success with that on cell phones But the Dell disappoints me as it does in any other respect anyway - new harddiscs new motherboard and a new battery already in week one are the results of the first year s use and maintenance need Never needed maintenance on any PC or notebook ever before PC-use since Best regards ungua nbsp

A:Battery capacity development over a week, and a year

16% loss after one year is reasonable. ok, so not all battery manufacturers have "accurate" battery wear level but i will post mine: i got 2 laptops with accurate battery so far (acer TM4000 and 5930G)

the latter, was bought in early dec 2008. so today, after about 1.5 years it has 31% wear level. now = 48988mwh. was = 71040mwh.

in my case, the level get worse if i use the laptop everyday on battery. once I kept the battery and use the laptop as a desktop replacement the level barely increase. one tip to keep it is that to "calibrate" your laptop battery as often as possible. In some cases I successfully decrease the wear level by doing that. It's clear that short discharge of battery actually worsen the age of the battery itself.

I saw few sony vaio & toshiba laptops, with battery wear level at 0% but battery dies within 5-10 minutes of usage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/battery-capacity-development-over-a-week-and-a-year.145818/
Relevancy 22.79%

Till now, I've been using esnips for (non bit torrent) free file sharing. Problem is:

esnips started requiring the esnips download manager for any esnips download and
The new esnips installer includes sneakware: it installs its own home page, search page, etc. unless one carefully reviews and unchecks all the installation options
So everytime i give someone a file sharing link i don't want to worry about warning them about the sneakware (and worse yet, they overlook the options and install the sneakware by mistake)
Any other good site recommendations? And would you know how they compare to ensips offer of free 5GB storage with 200MB limit per file?

A:Recommendations for free file sharing sites?

DropBox is pretty awesome; I use it a lot. If you upload via the desktop app, there's no limit on the file size, but you're limited to 300MB per file if you use the web browser uploader. The max for free storage is 2GB I believe.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recommendations-for-free-file-sharing-sites.143483/
Relevancy 22.79%

DiskGetor data recovery free : 1, Increased ability of undeletion; 2, Recover system destroyed files and recover deleted ( word, excel ,photo,dwg ,cad,office ppt etc important data) files names perfectly which were erased in Recycle Bin ; recovered files will add right file extensions automatically, if they were in sub-folders before, DiskGetor will recover all these folders as well, Recover encrypted and hidden folders

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-hard-drive-or-usb-data-recovery.145922/
Relevancy 23.65%

I ran out of free space on one of my partitions. Capacity of that partition is 54GB. I selected everything on that partition (including hidden files and folders) and size is 34 GB. I should have 20GB free, no?? All i have is 4 GB. but when i right-click > Properties, it shows me that i have 50 GB of used space. So one of 'em is laying or what? pls help me i want to install PES2010 and it requires 8-9GB of free space.

A:Low free disk space

You could try WinDirStat to see what is taking up space visually.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/low-free-disk-space.145666/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have a amd 7850 dual core 2.8ghz. And planning to overclock it to 3.0ghz. My M3A76-CM motherboard has an overclocking software in it called Jumper free configuration. So my question is, can someone tell me or post the settings to use to overclock my cpu to 3.0 ghz?

A:Quick Reply, Need help overclocking using jumper free configuration

you wont see much of a performance boost from 2.8 to 3.0

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/quick-reply-need-help-overclocking-using-jumper-free-configuration.144016/
Relevancy 24.08%

Hey guys, i have a computer with 1024 mb of ram, a on board radeon x200, and a pcie slot with a geforce 8400
when i go to my computer specs it tell me i have .98 gbs of ram.... my suspicion is that couple of mb of ram is being taken up by the on board video card... does anyone know how to fix this?

A:How to free up RAM

redpikachu12 said:

Hey guys, i have a computer with 1024 mb of ram, a on board radeon x200, and a pcie slot with a geforce 8400
when i go to my computer specs it tell me i have .98 gbs of ram.... my suspicion is that couple of mb of ram is being taken up by the on board video card... does anyone know how to fix this?Click to expand...

Some of the RAM is used by/ reserved for, the computer's BIOS.

Also, the GB to MB conversion is not as exact as you think. (It goes by 8s, not by 10s)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-free-up-ram.143067/
Relevancy 23.65%

Windows/xp

I cant play my DVDs in WMP11.

Are there any free mpeg-2 decoders, i can down load? Or alternatively, any media players, that has this codec, built in?

Ive done research, but end up at a dead end. Thank-you!

A:Any free mpeg-2 Decoders, for WMP/XP?

K-lite codecs, should supplement WMP if you don't yet have the proper codecs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/any-free-mpeg-2-decoders-for-wmp-xp.142320/
Relevancy 33.54%

Got a Dell Desktop about 2002, Intel P4 like 2.8ghz, was a bad *** gaming pc that I bough just for DOOM3, well I stopped using it last year Oct cause I got this laptop, which love laptops now lol, and I would say around Last december was the last time it was turned on and worked, I just hooked it up and tried to turn it on it started up the Dell start up with the F2 for set up ect. and stopped 3/4 of the way...waited waited so i shut it off then tried again, no all it does is the loud whoos and the 2 lights on the front stay on and the 2 dvd/cd rom lights blink. Anyone have an Idea of how I can fix this if fixable, or do I need pro help.
Thx 4 any help

Dark Lord of the Sith

A:PC will not start, after being unused for over a year!

"Loud whoos"?
Are you talking about the diagnostic lights?
What's the model?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-will-not-start-after-being-unused-for-over-a-year.141926/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hey,

I'm in a difficult situation here. I have had over 3 years of free ADSL internet at my home now (due to a mistake with the ISP). Anyway, my speed has been stuck at 5mbps ever since, with no download/upload limit.

Today though, I've noticed that my ISP has an option to get fiber optic internet, which is 40/40mbps currently and the speeds will go up soon...

But if I switch, I'll have to pay for it... So do you think fiber is worth it? Or should I just keep my 5 mbps for the years to come

A:Free ADSL vs Paid Optic

Before getting a large bill in the mail.
You should pay for a new Internet contract (fiber optic if that's what you want)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-adsl-vs-paid-optic.139204/
Relevancy 23.65%

I'm finally going to get a domain name after years of using my ISP's free webserver. I'm almost set with a name. I think all the words in the dictionary has been taken. Does anyone disagree?

I want to dive further in the realm of web programming so I thought I'd look for more feature rich web servers. My ISP only provide basic html stuff. Since my website is simple and I doubt it will garner much traffic anytime soon, I thought I'd stay with free service rather than pay $50/year when I'm the only one visiting the site and still learning the ropes. I need advice on which free providers I should look into and hopefully ones that you can personally vouch for. Googling is easy but I don't want to simply pick one on the top of the list if there are far better.

A:Looking for free web server

What I have used is Yola (www.yola.com). You might be interested in it, I like it because it has 0 adds on it. only a tab on the bottom of the page that says "make a free website with yola", and that you get a URL like this: www.example.yolasite.com. The only thing is that I use templates, (it also says "designed by free CSS templates" you probably want something more technical. It might not be any better than what you have. :-( Anyway, I'm no pro, just thought you might like to check it out! if you want to see my website, it's www.puravidarainforests.yolasite.com (rather long), but you can get an idea how you can make it look.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-free-web-server.138778/
Relevancy 33.54%

It s time to have a small upgrade on my year system it served me very well and I rarely had any issues I m just looking system A old some requires upgrades year 6+ forward to get most out of it currently it has these components Motherboard Albatron KX Processor AMD Athlon XP MHz Videocard GeForce FX MB RAM x MB Power Supply Antec SL W The MoBo A 6+ year old system requires some upgrades has its integrated network adapter and sound card and I have no problem with either Unfortunately it does not support PCI-e cards I mainly use it to play games like WoW or Counter-strike with all the effects on lowest Its main function over the time devolved into just playing games as I work and watch DVDs mainly on my laptop I ve recently observed more problems in crowded instances when playing WoW and also I m looking forward to play a little more graphically advanced games not the most high-end ones though I think a system with a MHz CPU and GB with a decent - year old GPU should do fine However I m very low on budget - and I don t need additional component upgrades replacements such as a new soundcard and a network adapter therefore I m thinking perhaps I should keep my MoBo and CPU intact and just go for GPU and RAM upgrades Should I upgrade my GPU and RAM with a Radeon HD GB MB AGP around and a x GB DDR SDRAM around how much of a bottleneck will my CPU cause especially when playing a CPU dependent game like WoW How much would such an upgrade improve the current performance if any I just hope to play WoW at max Will my power supply be able to handle an Radeon HD which also requires W I also have a DVD-ROM and a CD-ROM connected to my system - I can ditch out either or both when not using if it will help any Will the GPU just not run at all or will it work on a lower rate and not use its full capacity Given my budget limitations what alternative upgrades would you recommend Is there a better balanced MoBo CPU GPU RAM PSU combination you can think of that may cost around - if a better upgrade is absolutely necessary I ve considered to purchase and overclock an Athlon XP to get around MHz processing capability but it seems like it may cost me another and I m not sure if it s worth it Finally my MoBo supports x GB yet in its manual it recommends only DDR GB RAMS at once and not all three at the same time Why is there such a limitation and what kind of performance issues would I have if I installed x GB Would I get GB a little less than GB or just GB What kind of a setup should use if I want more than GB from this MoBo Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help nbsp

A:A 6+ year old system requires some upgrades

Can I just say, I wouldn't be updating this old machine
I read all through your post and the dollar amounts, I was about to say get Ram, but thought ..no, you are better with a more modern machine with PCI-Express and Core 2 Duo at least.

Save up and sell your computer (completely) and get a new (or newer) computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-6-year-old-system-requires-some-upgrades.138268/
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi Everyone It won't 5302 boot laptop, 1 old year Advent seems this is a common problem Advent 5302 1 year old laptop, won't boot with laptops judging by this forum but I have not found an answer that seems to relate to my problem Advent 5302 1 year old laptop, won't boot All started when the battery life slowly reduced from around an hour a month ago to minutes then minutes Advent 5302 1 year old laptop, won't boot a week ago until now when you turn it on there is nothing on the screen but the power light turns green as does the battery light it sounds as if it is booting up then it turns off the battery light turns orange then it repeats the cycle and the lights turn green again We can also here some slight clicking when this happens We bought a new power lead about a month ago so I am pretty sure this is still working becuase there is a light on the power supply We have also tried removing the battery and just running the laptop from the adapter but this does nothing We also bought a new battery as it seemed to make sense that the battery might be at fault becuase of the reduced battery life but this has done nothing Any ideas would be greatly apreciated as I have a large premier project on the laptop which I need to finish in the next two weeks Thanks in advance Rob nbsp

A:Advent 5302 1 year old laptop, won't boot

Something wrong inside that case. Check your battery connectors very carefully to make sure they are not out of position when the battery is installed. Then check all your wiring under the keyboard... You will have to remove the keyboard, then unplug and reseat every cable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advent-5302-1-year-old-laptop-wont-boot.137491/
Relevancy 33.54%

I'm going to be traveling for the next year, and I'm not taking my laptop with me. I have a Dell Inspiron from August 2006, and someone told me that the internal battery would "die" if I keep the machine turned off for a year. Is someone able to confirm or deny this? Ideally, I would like to be able to use it when I return. I also have a friend who could turn it on for me regularly while I'm gone to keep it working, if that would be good. But if that's an option, I'm wondering how often it should be turned on. Can anyone help with this? I would really appreciate any advice! Thanks a lot!

A:Can I keep my laptop turned off for a year?

I would recommend removing the battery if you're not going to be using it for a year. You will need to charge the battery completely when you go to use it again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-keep-my-laptop-turned-off-for-a-year.132624/
Relevancy 23.22%

ok, so i know that this question has been asked a few times already but i am in need of a free program to burn dvds. i have downloaded some movies to my pc and now im having trouble finding a good program that will allow me to burn them to disc. obviously they are not all the same type of files, some are avi. some are mp4 files etc. i can covert them to other formats, but so far i havent been able to burn them.

if anybody knows of a program that will do what im looking for please let me know.

A:In search of a free dvd burning program

If you want free dvd burnung program you can find it via google easily. i found one program called InfraRecorder, but i didnt test it so i dont know if it works. just type infrarecorder in google and go to their website. on the righ menu somewhere you have download link. its a small program, just 3.19MB.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/in-search-of-a-free-dvd-burning-program.132048/
Relevancy 23.22%

I regularly use CCleaner as recommended by the virus malware removal steps including the wipe free space feature on occasion to really clean the empty space and theoretically speed up the HD etc However I recently installed a program called MagicUneraser to try to recover a file I had inadvertently deleted and after scanning the drive it found hundreds space free CCleaner wiping not of thousands of deleted files and continues to do so CCleaner not wiping free space after I have run CCleaner with the wipe free CCleaner not wiping free space space enabled several times This kind of pisses me off Are there any programs out there that actually do what they claim and CLEAN and WIPE the HD free space Alternatively are there any undelete programs that have an option to permanently delete found file fragments MagicUneraser does not offer this feature so while it can detect files that apparently CCleaner can not it can not clear them Help If I delete a sensitive document or want to CCleaner not wiping free space control the of copies of a particular document by making hard copies and deleting the active file on the HD I would like to feel confident that this is actually being done nbsp

A:CCleaner not wiping free space

I was never aware the CCleaner wiped free space. There are many free utilities that can wipe free space on hard drives. This is one:
http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ccleaner-not-wiping-free-space.129560/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey, i've been using the external hard disk drive from seagate for over a year now, and then suddenly my PC crashes and after that did the computer not function normaly with the drive, it wont show up in my computer any more but is found in device manager, then i got told to go to Disk Manager, but i dont see the drive there, are there any way to fix this? or would Formatting the PC help? please i got a loads of song, pic, and movies on that drive

A:Free Agent Pro 1TB Problems

What happens if you connect that drive to another computer, does it show up normally? Have you tried a different USB port? Doesn't the Pro also have eSATA and FW? If so have you tried them?

Please don't double post, I've deleted your other thread on this to minimize cross posting/confusion.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-agent-pro-1tb-problems.130992/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi All,

Need some help here. I am useing the Seagate Free Agent Go external hard disk, 320Gig. On the security tab i have created an encryption folder, together with my password to protect the files and save all my important files.

This morning, when I open the seagate manager, go on the security tab it doesn't give me an option to open the encrypted folder. THe only options that appeared was to created password, re-enter password. I tried to to that and click enter but then it prompts me to the seagate manager home menu. I wasn't able to decrypt all my files.

Ive checked on My Computer, click the drive, and it shows there the encyption folder ive made. But I need to use the seagate manag er, and go to security tab to open the encrypted file.

Please help. Thanks.

A:Encryption Problem on Seagater Free Agent Go

Can i assume that you have the FreeAgent hooked to a laptop? If so, try opening the files on another computer. These FreeAgent files may be corrupted

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/encryption-problem-on-seagater-free-agent-go.128180/
Relevancy 22.79%

i put a new system on my dell computer and i lost the program to my multimedia controller so if you can help me with it please.

A:How can I find free software for multimedia audio controller

If what you mean by 'new system' is a re-install of the original operating system, then you take the service tag number from your case, surf to the Dell site and enter it and they give you a list of the drivers you originally had.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-find-free-software-for-multimedia-audio-controller.120255/
Relevancy 33.54%

I'm researching costs vs performance of the AMD dual core processors.

Understanding the 'latest and greatest' always seems to be more expensive.
Without using a crystal ball - does anyone have an informed impression as to what AMD may be doing with the processor costs/upgrades of the AMD Athlon 64 X2?

Being as close to the New Year as we are, I'm wondering if it would not be a prudent thing to do - to put off the purchase of a CPU from AMD until after the first (January 09)

I guess after thinking out my questions making long thread longer :wave: I'm asking if 'historically' or otherwise does anyone have an impression of what prices may be like for processor chips such as the referenced item in the New Year?

Any advice would be appreciated.

A:Will AMD surprise us with discounted prices in the New Year?

Let's all hold our breath and wait...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-amd-surprise-us-with-discounted-prices-in-the-new-year.116868/
Relevancy 23.22%

You can't post them here,their spam.
So find another way to identify your problem hardware.
It's needed to answer problems.

A:Free System testing software

um, what is this all about????

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-system-testing-software.114695/
Relevancy 36.55%

I haven't used the laptop in a while started it up and forgot the admin password, the admin is the only user on the laptop so i cant even get my old files how do i change or remove the password?

A:HP / Dell / etc. Laptop password help (April - July 2008)

Help for lost password on OmniBook XE3

I am new to this site; so bear with me If I don't do it right. I am looking for help to open a lost password on OmniBook XE3. This is a hand me down from a grandchild. He does not remember the pass words used by different people that has used this old computer. Can anyone help with this problem. Is there a jumper someplace that can be removed?
budm2849

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dell-etc-laptop-password-help-april-july-2008.59293/
Relevancy 33.54%

Was just typing a letter saturday night and all of a sudden the screen goes on the fritz and goes black. Try and reboot nothing. The lights come on but the laptop is just quiet, f11 nope, restore Disks nope nothing happening. Battery out then back in nothing. Let it sit for 24 hours tried all again nothing but the power lights come on.

HP did send me a box and now have the machine and say it will be covered under warranty.

Seems this is a problem with these machines. Boy I want a macbook. I can give this HP Laptop when it gets back to me to my wife. Then again this emachine PC that I am using right now cost me only 300 dollars a year and a half ago and works like a champ. I am stuck in my office though.

A:HP dead dv2214us 1 year 3 months old

update, well I got the laptop back from HP with a repair consisting of LCD Cable and Lid switch was reseated, loose connection BIOS was updated.

So I take it out of the box , put battery back in plug in adapter for power and turn on power button by holding it down and bingo, same issues, a short humm, no screen comes on not booting up.

I call HP again, they tell me to take out battery and unplug power hold down power button for 30 sec then put battery back in and plug power adapter back in turn on laptop and keep pressing F10, nothing happens then F8 nothing then F11 still nothing just the blue power lights on.

They are sending another empty Fed Ex box for me to send it back again Monday.

At least there is no charge, but I bet it comes back again not working.

Geesh.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-dead-dv2214us-1-year-3-months-old.108697/
Relevancy 23.65%

can someone give me a name of some free broadband access company? I know they are out there.

and don't tell me about goggle tisp that Aprils fool joke. internet through your toilet...lol

A:Free broadband?

I am not aware of any free providers, but I did read this article earlier this week and it gives a bit of an overview of where things stand in the U.S.

http://www.moconews.net/entry/419-f...band-network-despite-mounting-wi-fi-failures/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-broadband.107331/
Relevancy 23.65%

Free virtual memory?

what is free virtual memory?
and how do i get rid of old free virtual memory?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-video-memory.106711/
Relevancy 22.79%

Yesterday I downloaded The sims free time and in order for it to work you need to have DirectX c so i downloaded it but its still not working and keeps on saying that i need to check that i have compatible graphic adapters and the correct drivers How do i know which graphic adapters are correct for me and - with adapter Sims2 time Graphic 9.0c Help free DirectX the correct drivers They write quot Failed to find any DirectX c compatible graphics adapters Graphic adapter DirectX 9.0c - Help with Sims2 free time in this system Please make sure you have a DirectX c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer The application will now terminate quot I checkt start run dx diag Everythink is enabled So I read in this forum try to find mine ati radeon xpress M series drivers I downloaded smth from HP link And nothing They wrote me that I should check VGA What is it Maybe my pc is too old It s HP Pavilion ze Display ATI RADION XPRESS M Dnow Ghz Memory Mb RAM approx total memory mb main drivers ati dvag dll years DDI version or highre I have windows XP professional Dnow Ghz So what s the problam And I add sims free time crack but it doesn t help nbsp

A:Graphic adapter DirectX 9.0c - Help with Sims2 free time

Finding Direct X

Go to run Menu and type,
dxdiag.
Do the tests.
Don't install older versions on game cd's,
Use ver 10 for Vista only.
Go here to update to latest 9 version.
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphic-adapter-directx-9-0c-help-with-sims2-free-time.101035/
Relevancy 23.65%

hey all i m looking for a free recording program to transfer a huge heap of old LPs ya know vinyl records i d like to record them into mp format heres what i ve got equipment wise computers with a good sound cards turtle beach montego SB audigy stereo system pretty standard stuff it can output to standard recording software? Free speak wire quot banana clips quot whatever that is and standard mini jack male to male mini jack cables my concept was to plug the stereo into the computer via the M M cables headphone jack to microphone jack set the levels as appropriate then hit record on whatever program i can get my hands on so what free programs are out there ones Free recording software? that are actually worth recommending i mean that will record like Free recording software? that to mp or if a better way to record comes to mind i d be interested in that as well the one requirement is that it be very cheap or free i m doing this as a present for my parents its their records but i have basically no money to do it with maybe i could manage US if i scrounge around nbsp

A:Free recording software?

The program I use for audio editing is Audacity.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It is an amazingly popular open-source audio editor that really packs a punch. Just note that you'll need to download an additional .dll file to output in .mp3 format. Give it a try.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-recording-software.100283/
Relevancy 32.25%

HI!
I have a Toshiba Satellite, that only allows 4 DVD zone changes before it refuses to change zones. I do a lot of travelling, and my computer is stuck in zone 2 now, when I usually live in Zone 4. Does anyone know any FREE (not free for 30 days) software that I can download to fix this problem?

A:Region free DVD player, free!

I wonder if you had an external (USB) DVD Drive set to region 4, and an internal drive set to 2 (actually I've never tried this, but it should work)
Ofcourse this is not free (and actually dearer than DVD Free software) but at least it avoids having another program running all the time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/region-free-dvd-player-free.99694/
Relevancy 19.78%

hey mates just got an offer of a free laptop don t have the exact specs yet but its intel dual core a gig or of ram at least gig hd its an dell business model again don t have exact specs just yet however being free it has a major problem it won t turn on at all no post nothing well i m not gonna turn down a chance to get a free laptop even if all i can do is scavenge it for parts so thoughts on what can cause that kind of problem my thoughts were motherboard fault serious power problem or power button broken i m hoping its this one can anyone else think of something else that would cause complete lack of free a is" "as laptop Fixing start up capability or ways to fix it go wild if i can t fix this Fixing a free "as is" laptop thing it will likely just go straight to the trash heap i ll update the post as i get new info nbsp

A:Fixing a free "as is" laptop

It's probably a blown motherboard... A salvaged hard drive or memory would be worth "free"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fixing-a-free-as-is-laptop.93019/
Relevancy 33.54%

Please help im in year 12 and i have just lost all my work for the semester the usb has gone through the wash and everytime i try and plug it into a computer it says malfunctiong usb and i can not access it is there anyway i can access it please help

thanks

A:malfunction usb please help i just lost all my year 12 work

Its probably hosed. Lots of times having them go through the wash won't kill them. What does kill them is plugging them in before everything is completely dry.

You could buy some 99% isopropyl and soak it in that for a while. Probably at least a few minutes, making sure the whole thing is saturated. Then remove it and let it completely dry. Like open up your case and set it on top of your hard drive for a day or something. You have to get all of the moisture out. It probably won't work, and with the alcohol it probably won't take very long for it to dry so a day might be more than necessary, but you definately want to be sure there is no water left in it.

Your other option is to open it up and see if there is any corrosion or soapy material left, and clean that off with alcohol. Again letting it dry.

Like I said it probably won't work, but it definately isn't working now, and I know of no other way to recover it after you've screwed it up by powering it when wet. Luckily it isn't something important like all your work for a Masters degree or PhD. I'd just use this as a learning expierence and always back up my data. You should also never have your only copy of something on a flash drive. Just take a look around this forum and the internet for all the failures of flash drives.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/malfunction-usb-please-help-i-just-lost-all-my-year-12-work.88377/
Relevancy 28.81%

directx c help plz i have a - 6-7 i the dont i 9.0c..help..plz. comp..and new have wont year directx a directx year old comp how do i uneistall I dont have anygames my comp is about to years old and i dont play games on it no more but now i use bt for anime directx 9.0c..help..plz. i have a 6-7 year comp..and i dont wont the new directx and directx 9.0c..help..plz. i have a 6-7 year comp..and i dont wont the new directx videos but now something happen i had to reload my windows to make the story short i was trying my best to fix everything after the window obeartion system crash everything was going fine my files where ok but then divx would not play first i dl all the codec i need and i thought i was dont tell it ask me to reinstall direct x but will yea i didnt now how to do that bcuz i dont have a cd that has directx so i left alone for lil while bcuz i was mad and i was looking into what to do when my cousin dl direct x c without telling me trying to fix reinstall erro but it still wont play and when i check out direct x setteings it will tell error Problem getting extra display info code x e error code and when i try to test the directdraw it said Directdraw test results Faliure at step creating primary surface HRESULT X E error code so what should I do i can not buy any new drives for it and i im still going crazy when it keeping asking me to reinstall it everytime i try to play divx im real need help im lost so im asking what should I DO plz help plz i been reading ur post dont tell me i need new drives bczu i real cant do that and my cousin left so he gone and he wont do anything to help fix it i need to knoe is there anyother way to fix this p s my cousin i dunno what he did he told first he dl directx and divix did not play then he dl and he even dl the again but i know that it would not work and besides isnt that bad doesnt have be uneinstall yea how can i take out directx c i had idea to take it out even thoe thats bad and useing on of my games that should have the directx on it and installe it but how do i even uniestall directx nbsp

A:directx 9.0c..help..plz. i have a 6-7 year comp..and i dont wont the new directx

Which version of windows are you using?
And what videocard do you have?

(And what is your cpu, though this is mostly out of curiosity)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/directx-9-0c-help-plz-i-have-a-6-7-year-comp-and-i-dont-wont-the-new-directx.16884/
Relevancy 20.21%

I'm just wondering, is this like a 2nd hard drive that I can put stuff in like I would with C:? Or is it another drive to put another OS on. I'm so confused.

A:hard drive filling up, other drive has 30gb free

It appears to be set up to take more "stuff" of whatever you want to store there. If you really wanted to, you could put another OS on the drive but do you really want to?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-filling-up-other-drive-has-30gb-free.84526/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey,
My free space on partition C is dropping automatically, it's now about 11 MB
although i'm using only about 30-40 GB from 58 GB....i made a scan from viruses and i didn't find any thing..
Thanx...

A:Free space problem

Open up the task manager and see if there are any processes you don't recognize. Also you could try to find a program (I've heard of several, never used them though) that tells you what folder(s) are using the most space on your hard drive.

Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-space-problem.84187/
Relevancy 37.41%

im looking to upgrade my comp at the end of july after intel makes their price cut on i ve been looking around the web hoping that nvidia will be implementing pricecuts as well and the results have been varied to say the least i ve read in some places that they ll be implementing one to correspond with intel s and others that say that the s will stay at the same pricepoint until and even others that say that the series will be out by november MY so i m really clueless does anybody have an idea if and when nvidia plans to cut the price of the series right now my build is as follows Intel Core Duo E Biostar mobo supporting FSB x PCI-Ex EVGA gts mb if nvidia drops prices hopefully i can afford a gtx Nvidia drop... price july quot ms response Nvidia price drop... july time Samsung lcd monitor resolution x gb DDR Corsair ram possibly gb watt Hiper powersupply quot SLI Ready quot gb rpm SATA Western Digital HDD Vista Ultimate one last thing will that powersupply handle an gts or possibly gtx or should i get one in the - watt range nbsp

A:Nvidia price drop... july

530w would be enough, the amps on the 12 rail is more important that the wattage. Also, hipers are dodgy and are prone to failing, so get a corsair 520hx or something.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-price-drop-july.81513/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hey all

I recently bought a Leadtek DTV1000 TV Card, but had problems with the digital reception in my area. This card worked fine with my mother board. I traded it in for the DTV2000 for its analogue tuning.

I put the new card but i cant use the twin output on the Radeon 9600 any more. It says Code 12 - The device cannot find enough free resources that it can use.

I have removed my soundcard and my other PCI DSP Audio card to leave just the vid card and the TV Card in there to see if it would free up, but the error remains.

Any 1 got any suggestions???

PC Specs are.

p4 3gig
abit ic7 motherboard
1 gig ram
radeon 9600
M-audio delta 1010 Soundcard
Tc electronic Powercore PCI DSP Card

A:Radeon 9600 - Not enough free resources (code 12)???

From this thread:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=38414#M38414

"Great news for me and I hope (and it should) work for you. What you need to do is go into the BIOS and under Advance Chipset Features you'll see AGP Aperture size. Mine was set at 128MB which is probably the default setting. Set it 256MB and all should be well again."

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radeon-9600-not-enough-free-resources-code-12.77593/
Relevancy 18.92%

I ordered cable modem from quot Cox Communications quot it ll be here this monday and cable with free modem??? cable now im startin to think if its possible to get a splitter and run it to the tv and have quot basic cable quot i don t know if it will work but several people at my work-place says it free cable with cable modem??? does work right now i got DSL runnin off a router well my bros do im just using theres for now and the router splits up and goes into other rooms and im a downloader lol and everytime start downloadin something my bros or step-dad comes in my room and starts bitchin about the internet being to slow free cable with cable modem??? so i end up pausing the download and have to wait until everybody gets settled down for bed ya know everybodys been there before lol thats why i decided to make the switch to cable modem i mean its faster free cable with cable modem??? uh faster oh and more faster lol AND hence the idea of watchin tv while i got a download goin ya know so if its possible to get basic cable with just only being suscribed to cable modem that would be kick ya know lol so any help on this would be great thanks nbsp

A:free cable with cable modem???

Hmmm......

I'm not certain you're allowed this line of "investigation" in this forum. But by all means, hang out and wait for a second opinion.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-cable-with-cable-modem.75729/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi,

Ive had Bt wireless broadband for quite some time now and ive recently been meaning to create a website on my hobbies etc. Ive heard that in some packages BT provide free web hosting space and a domain in some.

Is this true?

Thanks in advance.
James.

A:Do i get free web hosting space and domain with bt broadband?

You should find the answers to your questions HERE.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-get-free-web-hosting-space-and-domain-with-bt-broadband.72053/
Relevancy 23.65%

Is there a free partition tool?

A:Free partition tool

make a system boot disk and run fdisk lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-partition-tool.70407/
Relevancy 23.22%

January Computerworld -- The next time you re at BEWARE of access! WiFi Free an airport looking for a wireless hot spot and you see one called quot Free Wi-Fi quot or a similar name beware -- you may end up being victimized by the latest hot-spot scam hitting airports across the country You could end up being the BEWARE of Free WiFi access! target of a quot man in the middle quot attack in which a hacker is able to steal the information you send over the Internet including usernames and passwords And you could also have your BEWARE of Free WiFi access! files and identity stolen end up with a spyware-infested PC and have your PC turned into a spam-spewing zombie The attack could even leave your laptop open to hackers every time you turn it on by allowing anyone to connect to it without your knowledge If you re a Windows Vista user you re especially susceptible to this attack because of the difficulty in identifying it when using Vista In this article you ll learn how the attack works and how to keep yourself safe from it if you use Windows XP or Vista For details see the article nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/beware-of-free-wifi-access.70154/
Relevancy 31.82%

Ok so I m on a mission to get this old eMachines good enough to play Far Cry FEAR and the likes FPS s decently low medium The parts I m reusing are MicroATX eMachines case soon to to play old newer 5-year budget: Upgrading tight eMachines games Extremely be modded for a side fan DVD-ROM CD-R Floppy pretty much it I also have a W new powersupply that is simply sitting here under my desk in its box since I m not using it So count the powersupply as FREE since I m gonna use this one compared to the -year old W one Here are the current specs Foxconn SiS chipset mobo socket A AGP x SiS integrated crap AthlonXP Socket A generic ram Now I can do anything you say Change it all just add in some graphics card whatever you say I do not have a quot specific quot budget Let s just say that the lower we can get it the better So uhh yeah no E GT GB ram k I m open to suggestions I already have some ideas of my own but I want to here what YOU would do in this case Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Extremely tight budget: Upgrading 5-year old eMachines to play newer games

Hi man,
I'd get an Athlon 64 3000+, then a Radeon X800 card, and a good, cheap 939 mobo, like THIS ONE. MicroATX, even SLI support (for future upgrades), and great EVGA brand.

And finally, a cheap 512MB Corsair Value Select RAM (1GB highly recommended), and a fast 80GB 7200RPM Western Digital IDE HDD.

Regards :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/extremely-tight-budget-upgrading-5-year-old-emachines-to-play-newer-games.63236/
Relevancy 23.22%

hi
this is my first post here. I want to overclock my celeron 1.7Ghz CPU. It can be done in jumperfree mode. but I dont know how to go to jumperfree mode. dose it means that remove the CLRTC1 jumper?

A:Jumper free mode of asus P$SGX-MX

overclocking celeron 1.7 GHz

Please can any1 help me to go to the jumperfree mode of ASUS P4SGX-MX.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/jumper-free-mode-of-asus-p-sgx-mx.61799/
Relevancy 23.65%

Well, basically, I'm using a Dell Dimension 4550 on Windows XP Home(Yeah, I know, old as hell) and I'm a huge computer n00b. Someone told me that I should get a new Hard Disk Drive? I've been searching forums, but I don't know what hard drive I should get and if it's compatible with my computer or not. Help would be extremely appreciated, since I literally have less than 500MB left out of 74.4GB.

Thanks in advanced!

A:Low on Free Space!

More info! Basically all that's needed is either the Dell model number, or the motherboard model(doubted since dell is known for non standard boards).

Or, if you know, does it support SATA drives or strictly IDE?

Regardless; Seagate is an extremely good brand to buy HDD's from, Maxtor is one I'd stay away from.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/low-on-free-space.54509/
Relevancy 23.65%

i currently use limewire to download music, dvds and games. however, it can often be slow, unaccurate and basically not up 2 scratch. does any1 know of an alternative that i get can free dvds, mp3's and games from that is any better than limewire?
thanx
:>
x

A:best place to download free?

i dunno wat that is??

i dont suppose u could explain wat a bittorrent is??
sorry im only just startin 2 learn all this stuff lol
:>
x

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-place-to-download-free.57627/
Relevancy 22.79%

I'm playing a game, and it won't let me save, when all that it requires is 90kb free. When I try another card in the other slot, it doesn't read that it is there. On the browser, however, both are reading and both have enough memory to save the program. Is something corrupted? Please Help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-memory-card-for-ps2-wont-let-me-save-with-64-000kb-free-or-so-it-says.57476/
Relevancy 33.97%

Whats up people Im looking for a little advice for upgrades Ive spent months looking at stuff mainly newegg and am just trying to get a feel for what upgrades i need Currently i have XP home AMD XP Stock cooling MSI KT Ultra Mobo Geforce Fx LE mb agp gb kingston SDram ddr lat gb HD GB HD linux Dual boot SUse x lite-on CD-RW Thermaltake w Power Supply I know it old I want to upgrade to an AMD bit single old 4 upgrades year PC needs core Are they stable Ive heard great things about the but i 4 year old PC needs upgrades want that little bit of extra in the PC A new shiny processor needs a new MoBo Any particular brand stand out above all the rest I used to have a Soyo but i dont see them around anymore My MSI runs great only issue was the dumb chip set fan but i replaced that with a fanless heat sink so its fine Im not currently looking at SLI beacuse i dont have the money for two cards and single mobos are cheaper however i noticed that to get newer fancy features on the mobo you have to get SLI And Finally Im looking for a Video Card Amazingly enough i can play BF only at the low defaults but i can Ive kinda fallen out of touch with what video cards are the best and which to buy Ive always had Geforce Chips original first comp and a GF mx mb I dont mind spending about on the new card just so long as its stable cool and will stay with the gameing curve for a few years Ive looked at the Radeon X and the X They are a bit pricy but i can see why The geforce seem a bit unstable and hot Looking at getting Kinston Hyper X ram gb gb mb im not decided yet on wether i want to get x or just a single gb stick timings are - - - Is the corsair that much better timings are - - - Finally are the Sythe brand coolers good They look realy nice and im all about silent cooling Plus im am getting fan controller so i can mount a fan and use it when needed Any and all suggestions are welcome Thanks Eddie nbsp

A:4 year old PC needs upgrades

Here're some parts I like.

Abit AN8 SLI motherboard (yeah you said you didn't want sli, but this one is still pretty cheap). I see that you like "silent computing" so this should be a nice fit, since it has a fanless/heatpipe cooling unit on the chipset.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127207

Amd a64 3500+, nice bang for the buck.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

Gigabyte Silent 7600gt Pci-e. Fast, and it's quiet too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125025

I'd recommend either getting a 1GB or 2GB kit of memory, so you get a matched pair of memory to use in dual channel mode, which is somewhat faster. Lower cas is better, look for cas 2 or 2.5.

I guess scythe is ok, haven't heard anything bad about them.

Might want to consider power supplies as well, I like antec, fsp group, ocz, enermax, seasonic, etc. Some newer antecs have two fans, but only use one fan if the temp is cool, which makes it quieter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/4-year-old-pc-needs-upgrades.53532/
Relevancy 19.78%

my current setting of virtual memory is 745mb which is the default for 500mb i have.

i have a little program that shows memory and virtual memory, i see while in windows about 256 is beeing used in my memory stick and 256 in virtual.

why is the slow virtual memory working before i ran out of good and fast memory stick?

A:virtual memory, why is it beeing used while i still have free memory?

" XP REQUIRES "backing storage" for EVERYTHING it keeps in RAM.
Virtual Memory is always in use.All processess gets virtual memory addresses
(a Virtual Address Space) no matter how much RAM is actually installed on the computer."

"Memory allocation in is a two-step process--virtual memory addresses are reserved first, and committed second...The reservation process is simply a way NT tells the Memory Manager to reserve a block of virtual memory pages to satisfy other memory requests by the process...There are many cases in which an application will want to reserve a large block of its address space for a particular purpose (keeping data in a contiguous block makes the data easy to manage) but might not want to use all of the space."

In other words,that virtual memory to which you refer,is only allocated memory,not necessarily
paged memory.

The thing you really want to know,is the actual pagefile usage.Use this programHERE

Further reading HERE and HERE

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/virtual-memory-why-is-it-beeing-used-while-i-still-have-free-memory.52435/
Relevancy 33.54%

HELP I m having to type this on my MHz notebook Yesterday my second power supply in months bit the dust I spent all afternoon today cleaning any dust out of my PC it wasn t too terrible but I thought that might be the cause and replacing the PSU The computer fired up but I immediately started smelling that same odd like burning plastic smell Less than a minute later the psu died litterally in a puff of smoke It was also very hot to the touch immedately after Now the technical details A year ago my watt psu blew Suspecting I was putting too much of a drain on it Athlon XP cpu IDE devices but no lights or fancy stuff I replaced it with a new watt psu Flash forward weeks later to yesterday I suddenly smelled that burning smell followed soon after by power days! HELP!!!! in supplies year). in (3rd Two two a the PC s power failure Today I found a replacement watt psu used but in great condition As noted above it ran for about one Two power supplies in two days! (3rd in a year). HELP!!!! minute before dying in a puff of gray smoke I have no clue what is going on here Anyone HELP nbsp

A:Two power supplies in two days! (3rd in a year). HELP!!!!

There are two things I can think of right off the bat.

1. faulty house wiring where you are pluging the PSU in at. (unlikely but possible)

2. when your PSU went up in smoke the other day it took the mobo with it. and since the mobo has been damaged it is going to toast any PSU you hook up to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-power-supplies-in-two-days-3rd-in-a-year-help.51506/
Relevancy 22.79%

Here disk sata acknowledged space not being Free s a new one for you guys I have three sata hard drives in my primary computer WinXp acknowledges all three All three drives have the appropriate quot total quot hard disk space posted in explorer and everywhere else for that matter The problem is the free space I can have for instance gigs of free space on a drive or partition I can create copy a -gig file on to that drive or partition delete it and explorer Free sata disk space not being acknowledged will show only -gig free disk space Copying or creating files on to that drive or partition will continue to consume the space until space runs out Deleting files doesn t make a difference I cannot recover the free disk space unless I reformat the drive or partition I have Free sata disk space not being acknowledged tried performing a clean install of XP updating the motherboard bios and updating motherboard drivers None of which have worked so far Any insight as to what is going on Unless I can pinpoint the problem I have resigned myself to the fact that a new motherboard may be the only solution Thanks in advance for the help nbsp

A:Free sata disk space not being acknowledged

free sata

did you empty recycle bin?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-sata-disk-space-not-being-acknowledged.46468/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi

i just got a new pc a couple of months ago. everything was working fine until this week the conexant modem stoped working.

this is the error message:
-------------------------------------------------------
This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

-------------------------------------------------------

i tried reinstalling the driver but the problem persists. the weird thing is that i havent installed any new hardware or software. it just popped out of the blue..

any help will be appreciated

thanks

A:conexant modem "cannot find enough free resources"

Go into the Device manager/conexant/properties/resources and see if it tells you anything useful.Are you totally sure you haven`t installed/uninstalled any software/hardware.
System Restore might be useful for troubleshooting.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/conexant-modem-cannot-find-enough-free-resources.46068/
Relevancy 32.68%

First of all don't understand... drive My I only one hard Maxtor after year died and hello to all the people here I am new in this forum and I am far from being an expert on this things so that s why I am here I guess to get some help Yesterday suddenly my computer restarted ang gave me and error message Can t start windows cause the file My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand... System My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand... Drivers Isapnp sys is lacking or is damaged Well you know that s My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand... not a rare thing cause a lot of people seem to have that problem once in a while You usually load the windows xp cd go to the repair console and you fix it from there Problem is that I havent been able to fix it being the result that the hard drive is seriously damaged The Chkdsk operation told me it had some unreparble damage and we tried the hard drive in another pc and it didnt read it It said it had no format So I really wonder what could have caused this A virus How come a hard disk that is only a year old and it hasnt been through bad use died this way suddenly And I thought Maxtor hard drives were one of the best on the market now I dont think I will ever buy one again Any comment help will be really appreciated Kind regards amp nbsp

A:My Maxtor hard drive died after only one year and I don't understand...

Drives can die in the first week of use. It could have just been a bad drive to begin with. Have you run any of the Maxtor utilities to see if you can any error codes? Is the drive still under warranty? Did you have any data that you needed off the drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-maxtor-hard-drive-died-after-only-one-year-and-i-dont-understand.43473/
Relevancy 18.49%

Hi guys, i'm new here, and I need some help badly. Up untill now, my dvd-ram drive has been working perfectly, reading any type of disc with no fuss. All of a sudden, it now decides that it does not want to play or read audio cds properly. in my computer, it says the cd is no 0 bytes big, and there is 0 bytes free. When i look on the cd, all the files are worth 44 bytes, and they display as 1kb respectively.

I have had this problem once before, but managed to sort it out, but now i can not remember the method to sort it out.

please help!

A:"Audio CD: 0 bytes used, free space: 0 bytes" problem

Welcome to TechSpot

SoapSud said:

Hi guys, i'm new here, and I need some help badly. Up untill now, my dvd-ram drive has been working perfectly, reading any type of disc with no fuss. All of a sudden, it now decides that it does not want to play or read audio cds properly.Click to expand...

Did you install something CD/DVD related? Or did you try to play a copy-protected CD?

in my computer, it says the cd is no 0 bytes big, and there is 0 bytes free. When i look on the cd, all the files are worth 44 bytes, and they display as 1kb respectively.Click to expand...

That part looks normal to me (at least in Windows).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/audio-cd-0-bytes-used-free-space-0-bytes-problem.43262/
Relevancy 33.54%

I ve just upgraded my year Date 2000 computer with a new mobo cpu and HD so i m not sure if this is a hardware or software question if this is in the wrong forum please forgive me When i first loaded windows i didn t put the right date in somehow i put in the date I changed the date when the OS was fullly loaded But now when i try to load Norton it says my subscription is out of date it says installed and and subscription ended I ve done everything i can think of to fully uninstall Norton uninstalled the program used their removal tool removed everything from Registry with Registry Mechanic done everything i can think of but it year 2000 Date still keeps happening So i wondered if there is a date somewhere related to the computer as opposed to the software that keeps telling Norton its the year I ve checked the date in the Bios and it is the right date Thank you for your year 2000 Date help nbsp

A:year 2000 Date

Doesn't sound like your computer is reporting the wrong date. As long as it shows the right date in both BIOS and windows, it should be right. Norton Live Update is a paid service, meaning you actually have to pay them (annually i think) to get the updates. If you have legitimately subscribed to their service then i suggest you contact their customer support. If you have not subscribed and do no wish to pay to get virus protection (assuming you're talking about Norton AV), then I suggest you get this very good free antivirus program (better than Norton imo): AVG Anti Virus

here's their site: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/year-2000-date.42183/
Relevancy 29.24%

I gave my old Athlon XP to my mom I built computer random post; won't seemingly 2 post codes year gives old it myself and it has an Epox RDA motherboard A week ago she said when she turned it on it beeped 2 year old computer won't post; gives seemingly random post codes and nothing came on the screen I had my dad look at it and he said the CPU fan wasn t running This was the fourth or fifth time we had turned it on to troubleshoot it I live miltes away so I m not sure if it stopped running when he was messing with things or if it hadn t been running the whole time Anyway they sent it to me and I ve tried troubleshooting it to no avail When I first 2 year old computer won't post; gives seemingly random post codes turned it on it got to the bootup screen before freezing At this point I noticed the CPU speed was listed as Mhz Now when I turn it on it doesn t show anything on the screen what would cause this a heat issue First I was getting a C error so I tried switching out and trying to each memory stick individually No luck Eventually I ended up with a wide array of post codes including C Detect memory Reserved Program CPU internal MTRR Initialize the APIC Program early chipset Measure CPU speed Invoke video bios Sometimes it would boot up to and then go back down to It seems certain to me that either the CPU or motherboard or PSU has gone bad Is this correct If so how can I find out which one it is so I don t buy the wrong thing Thanks a lot nbsp

A:2 year old computer won't post; gives seemingly random post codes

well.. the best way is to try each single part in a different system to see if they do work or not...

i always use the thought that Electronical Stuff does WORK or NOT... they dont "kinda work"...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-year-old-computer-wont-post-gives-seemingly-random-post-codes.41118/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi people I ve thought long and hard about the pieces I should purchase in order to make my computer but it seems I m pretty undecided about some of the more vital parts Feel free to voice anything Please Dilemma: to Choosing free Help Parts! Need feel HELP you d like in relation to my PC thanks Processor AMD Opteron Note I plan on OC ing this to - Ghz from it s stock at Ghz I mean if someone has insane mathematical and technological ability care to tell me what I should OC at to maintain optimum performance from my G SKILL while achieving the highest possible performance from my CPU Motherboard DFI Lanparty ASUS A N-SLI DFI LP DFI nF SLI ASUS A N-SLI Premium Note Which one I mean if there s another one that you think would work great - please mention it Memory G SKILL Extreme Series DDR x GB Sticks Video Card eVGA GT Dilemma: Need Help Choosing Parts! Please feel free to HELP Mb Hard Drive WD Caviar GB Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy ZS Drive NEC Black CD DVD Writer Drive SONY DVD-ROM Thanks Rod nbsp

A:Dilemma: Need Help Choosing Parts! Please feel free to HELP

looks like a great system, but why would you wantan opterion prossor, as they are manly used for servers, as for motherboards they all look great

good luck with the build

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dilemma-need-help-choosing-parts-please-feel-free-to-help.39765/
Relevancy 33.11%

InPhase Technologies, based in Colorado, has developed a commercially viable version of a holographic disc which can hold 300 gigabytes of data and can be used to read and write data 10 times faster than a normal DVD. ​http://www.inphase-technologies.com/news/turneronair.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27926

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20050608/105586/?ST=english
http://www.manifest-tech.com/media_dvd/dvd_holo.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/holographic-storage-revolution-promised-next-year.38133/
Relevancy 23.22%

Should I do this? or is it too much?
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/marketing/promotion.jspa?refId=73479&promoId=48202

It is for only one game, but I love the ww2 games cuz I have tons of family (some dead) that were in it so the mroe real the better!! Today is today because of this war. Hail .. USA!

A:want new 7800gt cuz COD2 games free

If you need a graphics card(and can afford a 7800gt) and want the game, yeah it'd probably be a good deal, but if you just want the game and already have a decent system, here you go.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832133138

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-new-7800gt-cuz-cod2-games-free.36416/
Relevancy 22.36%

My Internal 'SONY CD-RW CRX100E' drive was freezing and making coasters at the lead-out stage when using Nero6. I deleted the program (uninstall file was corrupt), and have since tried (with a number of blank cds) to burn files just under 700mb with the windows xp cd writing wizard. Each time I get the following message:

Cannot Complete the CD Writing Wizard

This CD does not have enough free space for all
your files. There is 595 MB free space on the disc,
and 699 MB to be written. To continue, please
reduce the total amount to be written by 104 MB.

This is a pain in the ***. I haven't interfered with any hardware since it started playing up so i'm thinking it must be a driver or device settings problem. I'd be grateful of some technical advice.

Thanks,
-rob.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-cd-writing-wizard-reports-false-value-for-free-space-on-blank-discs.31699/
Relevancy 22.79%

I HDD changed restore after has on Size system of free space did a system restore on my computer due to a driver misbehaving that was not allowing me to boot at the normal speed After the restore I attempted to delete some files that I had previously deleted because I Size of free space on HDD has changed after system restore needed to Size of free space on HDD has changed after system restore make some space on that drive Before the deletion I had gigabytes of free space on a drive that contained gigs of info Now when I go to my computer and click on the C icon in order to assess the statistics I notice that the amount of free space has changed to gigabytes of info However all the programs and some of the data I had originally are all in place Can someone show me or give me a hint as to what happened and how to restore this disk to the original amount of free space Here are my specs Soyo Mobo PX Ultra Zenith Data systems CRT monitor Watts Thermaltake Power supply GEforce MX video card Audigy sound card Primary IDE is c gigabytes HDD the one that shows the difference in free space Secondary IDE Lite-On DVD RW drive Terciary IDE RAID array containing Gigs HDDs configured as G Thermaltake wireless keyboard and mouse USB devices and LAN have been disabled in the BIOS I did run Spybot and corrected a few problems Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide kshroben nbsp

A:Size of free space on HDD has changed after system restore

If everything is working, why do you want to have less free space?

Sounds like you got rid of 20GB of junk. Be happy I say.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/size-of-free-space-on-hdd-has-changed-after-system-restore.30951/
Relevancy 23.65%

Right depending on whether or not I get a summer job im buildin a new PC but lets just say i get a job everybody s happy and the suns case quality free PSU with shinin I luv a case think it luks awesum and it comes free PSU with case quality with a free PSU but ive heard that case PSU s can be faulty and even blow your CPU As im probably going with the Athlon FX id like to avoid this if possible The case im going with is the X-Blade ultimate with the W PSU http www xcase co uk acatalog A-Top X-Blade deluxe html if anyone knows anything useful about it it would be much appreciated although it hasnt been released yet there is an earlier version out I checked the PSU out and as far as I can tell it got a good review http reviews pimprig com power supply hiper type-r modular w psu php but id like to know whether or not it was good quality and whether im in any danger of blowing a CPU id also like to know free PSU with case quality if it was actually as stated a w PSU i heard it mite be some sort of self boasting claim i need it to be fairly free PSU with case quality powerful as i want the geforce gtx think thats wot its gonna be called which will be fairly power intensive no way im buyin of them though so after waffling on basically if anyone knows how gud either the case or PSU is then id be very glad to know im going to be ordering it next week if theres no bad feedback so feel free say anything mildly related nbsp

A:free PSU with case quality

I can't say anything from personal experience but from the review the psu looks good.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-psu-with-case-quality.26886/
Relevancy 22.79%

Hi guys Could sombody help me with strange behavior of my hardrive space on false shown free hardrive I got new GB hardrive which I split to two partition F - GB and G - GB I dowload a lot false free space shown on hardrive of files and I use this new hardrive as a storage Till yesterday I downloaded approx GB to the F drive which left me with GB free Suddenly I got a message that I am low on disk space When I checke it my F drive showed only MB of free space I moved some files GB to the G drive but this way I freed only GB on F It look like the files expands in some way Right now if I like to move my files back where they just been there is not enough space Could sombody tell me what s going on I checked my whole computer false free space shown on hardrive with Norton for viruses and defragmented all the drives but it did not help I am runing Windows XP Home edition Thanks false free space shown on hardrive for Help bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce nbsp

A:false free space shown on hardrive

How are you downloading? Many downloading programs preallocate the space for the files being downloaded so even if you have only 100KB of a 700MB file it will still use the whole 700MB of disk.

SequoiaView is a pretty program that will tell you in what files your disk space hides in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/false-free-space-shown-on-hardrive.25419/
Relevancy 31.82%

Allright I Radeon Beeping. Year AMD XP. 2400+ 9500, old 2 Motherboard, Nforce2 computer, m having a heck of a time with this thing I shut it down for a little bit then when it starts back up it beeps and I mean just keeps 2 Year old computer, Nforce2 Motherboard, Radeon 9500, AMD 2400+ XP. Beeping. beeping it doesnt stop Just every beep is the same length as the last one long beeps I have a phoenix - AwardBios But another strange thing also happens if I restart it it just loads up to this screen dont know what its called Phoenix - AwardBIOS v PC etc etc ASUS A N X ACPI BIOS Rev A Main Processor AMD Athlon tm XP lt ----that should say Memory Testing K OK Press DEL to enter settup -nVidia-nForce-A N X Now it STOPS there doesnt do anything I try to hit DEL and nothin happens I need some serious help here This happened before I just cleaned the computer out left it alone for a few hours and then came back and it was fine I need help nbsp

A:2 Year old computer, Nforce2 Motherboard, Radeon 9500, AMD 2400+ XP. Beeping.

ok I talked to my sister who graduated with a computer engineering degree and she said it was the memory I installed a few weeks back, yeah I feel like an *****. Apparently I didnt plug in the memory all the way in, One stick was loose and the system kept running out of memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2-year-old-computer-nforce2-motherboard-radeon-9500-amd-2400-xp-beeping.24695/
Relevancy 32.68%

Just yesterday they hit the market.

My workplace has actually had some given to us as demos from a few weeks back(We are an Intel Partner), but rather then let us employees play with them they were locked up in inventory.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1777753,00.asp

(got the link from slashdot)

They top out at 3.6ghz. Can't wait to see how they perform against the Athlon64/Athlon64-FX. Oh boy!

So, who of you intel fans out there is going to gobble one up?

A:A year and a half after AMD, Intel releases a 64bit desktop CPU

Soul Harvester said:

Just yesterday they hit the market.

My workplace has actually had some given to us as demos from a few weeks back(We are an Intel Partner), but rather then let us employees play with them they were locked up in inventory.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1777753,00.asp

(got the link from slashdot)

They top out at 3.6ghz. Can't wait to see how they perform against the Athlon64/Athlon64-FX. Oh boy!

So, who of you intel fans out there is going to gobble one up?Click to expand...

Meh, I wouldn't mind having one...

-Kitaro

Donations?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-year-and-a-half-after-amd-intel-releases-a-64bit-desktop-cpu.23547/
Relevancy 23.65%

I need a free graphics card that will work with DirectX. Please tell me if you know a site where I can download one. If you know one please tell me what site it is at.

A:I need a free graphics card...

You cannot download a graphics card you can download Direct X. This a very puzzling post.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-a-free-graphics-card.21187/
Relevancy 33.11%

As per the norm, I got a Monday call from a customer freaking out about their server. I paid them a visit and sure enough the Western Digital SCSI hard drive I replace about 6 months ago is dead. SCSI utility is seeing it as a 1MB quantum. I told them to boat anchor that machine and get a new one. It's a pentium (i don't remember) 600MHz machine so it's a bit of a dinosaur anyway. their book keeper is the hero of this story. I taught her how to backup the server which she did before she left on Friday. I loaded backup files on an unused workstation, mapped some network drives and had them back up and running PDQ.

What would make a machine eat hard drives? Thin it might just be a fluke, virus, inferior Dell product??????

A:2nd SCSI hard drive failure within 1 year

Is there a UPS or surge-protector installed between wall-socket and PC?
If not, unstable electricity might cause that, such as spikes, brown-outs or black-outs.
Or the PSU might be on the edge of its capacity. If the HD is a 10'000 RPM disk, they need a pretty good and stable PSU.
The disk should still be under warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2nd-scsi-hard-drive-failure-within-1-year.17940/
Relevancy 23.65%

I need a utility to convert wma to mp3 or wav files. I thought audacity would do it, but it wont work. Importing raw data just makes noise. Any suggestions or programs you can reccomend? :grinthumb

A:Converting WMA to WAV or MP3 for free

Audacity should work. I edit all my raw audio there. try updating to the latest version. also try tweeking the settings

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/converting-wma-to-wav-or-mp3-for-free.16367/
Relevancy 23.22%

In case people missed this the first time around here is another chance.

The story in a nutshell is that a professor at St. Petersburg College had made numerious suggestions on improvements to CISCO's course work and it fell on deaf ears. He then took it upon himself to write an 800 page text book and is now giving it away for free.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-5255083.html
http://www.lulu.com/content/59202
http://www.spcollege.edu/star/cisco/Matt/list_of_current_papers_and_brief.htm

I haven't gone through most of the material yet but if you have been as frustrated with CISCO instruction material as much as I have been this may be worth checking out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/professor-gives-cisco-manual-away-for-free.14410/
Relevancy 22.79%

I came across this interesting free offer that you might like to read:

Story:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/06/cisco_online_manual/

Download page:
http://www.spcollege.edu/star/cisco/Matt/list_of_current_papers_and_brief.htm

Eric,
http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
http://www.sharedbirthday.co.uk/

A:Cisco certification manual online for free

Your download link doesnt work

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cisco-certification-manual-online-for-free.14141/
Relevancy 23.65%

Free MP3 splitter?

I have MP3 files that are too large for a CD-R. Does anyone know where I can download a free MP3 splitter?

A:Free MP3 splitter?

Since you are burning the files on CD, maybe you are using Nero which has a simple music editor built in..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/free-mp3-splitter.7003/
Relevancy 22.79%

Typically speaking, the mobile virtual assistant space is dominated by companies like Microsoft, Google and Apple with Siri. These products and services provide users with a number of handy options like voice search and recognition, text-to-speech and a number of...

Read more

A:This is Sirius, the free open-source version of Siri

Well I can't see that name being used for long.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/this-is-sirius-the-free-open-source-version-of-siri.210069/
Relevancy 21.93%

Samsung has a knack for offering buyers of its latest flagship devices a bundle of quality apps to go along with their purchase and soon-to-be owners of the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge are no exception.

Read more

A:The (good) bundle comeback: Samsung to offer 22 premium apps in Galaxy S6 free of charge

And it doesn't even have the Terminal for command-line prompt. As a Linux developer, I feel so lost and disrespected!

$ cd /
$ su root
$ service call phone 2 s16 "911"

- yes, you can make calls from Android console

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/the-good-bundle-comeback-samsung-to-offer-22-premium-apps-in-galaxy-s6-free-of-charge.209435/
Relevancy 22.79%

Epic Games made history at last year's Game Developers Conference when it opened its Unreal Engine 4 up to all via a monthly subscription model. At this year's conference, the company is doing away with monthly licensing fees and making...

Read more

A:Epic Games makes its Unreal Engine 4 free for all

Very interesting. Not being a developer myself I wonder if they would like this newer format or prefer the monthly tiers. Trying to remember if was a flat fee per month or it was a flat fee + royalties.

But it's great to know that the Unreal Engine will be more widely available to would-be developers.

Edit: Read the old article. Dropping the monthly fee for straight up royalties (same %) I think is a good move. Not that $20 a month was a drop in the bucket to begin with but at least now those that are interested have an easy stepping stone to get started without an investment.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/epic-games-makes-its-unreal-engine-4-free-for-all.209356/
Relevancy 23.65%

Hey y'all, hope all's well. I run Panda Free on one of my computers. Right now I'm using version 15.0.4, how do I update to the newest program version when it becomes available ? Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/panda-free.208008/
Relevancy 23.65%

I downloaded the Adobe Photoshop CS2 free today from this website. To complete the download it is asking me for the Serial Number. Can you provide me with it?
Thanks in anticipation

A:Adobe Photoshop CS2 free

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html

Windows Serial number: 1045-1412-5685-1654-6343-1431
Mac OS X Serial number: 1045-0410-5403-3188-5429-0639Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adobe-photoshop-cs2-free.207895/