Windows Support Forum

Installed Windows 10. Now I can't boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint.

Q: Installed Windows 10. Now I can't boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint.

Hello TenForums I run Linux Mint on one SSD and Windows on another Linux Mint SSD is on SATA Windows SSD is on SATA GB empty drive on SATA I upgraded Windows to Windows and after getting it all set up and pretty I decided to reboot and use Linux for the rest of the night Well with my Windows Drive Connected I tried booting into Linux but received the error quot Cannot mount drive mnt sdb quot So I booted back into Windows and everything Windows-wise was cool Here comes my screw up Fast forward to today roughly days later I tried fixing my Linux Partition by unplugging the Windows Drive since that would be the sdb drive and received the error quot The Disk Drive for UUID amp lt Drive Name Here gt is not ready yet or not present quot Using a LiveUSB I tried mounting and using chroot to try and fix grub but to no avail I also tried reinstalling Linux Mint while keeping my home partition but with no success either So I decided to install another SSD that I wanted to add for games amp amp misc files since it was bigger I Windows 10. 10 Windows Installed Linux Mint. Now can't or boot So I opened up my computer reorganized a bit and put all of the SSDs in in the config at the start Installed Windows 10. Now I can't boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint. of my post and connected all the power SATA cables I had previously read that Windows gets really pissy if you make any changes to hardware Well here comes the confusing part When only the Linux drive is connected I get the quot Disk Drive UUID quot error When booting into Linux with the Linux Drive amp amp Windows Drive Connected I get the quot Cannot mount Drive mnt sdb quot error When Booting into Windows WITHOUT the Linux Drive Connected I get the BSOD error quot A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed xc quot When booting into Windows WITH the Linux Drive connected Windows works just fine My hypothesis Windows always wants to be first When I upgraded to Windows since my Linux Drive was in the st SATA slot I think it bound the Windows Boot Manager amp amp other Windows start up necessities to it as well By doing this it changed the UUID of my or boot partition so grub doesn't know where to look when booting My concern is that I'm not sure how to separate these and to get them both to work I was saving up for a backup drive so I don't have any backups luckily this is for games I'm only worried about some read-only files on my Linux Drive I do not have any physical media for Windows and would rather create a VM and attempt GPU passthrough than install Windows SP from scratch and do all those damned updates I'd prefer not to have to reinstall any OS but I'll do it if we cannot find a solution to these two problems Please ask my any questions you may have and I'll try to get back to you ASAP I have finals for school tomorrow so this is really just a massive inconvenience Thankfully all my school work is on a laptop or synced to Dropbox Thanks I don't find it necessary but to save anyone the trouble of asking here are my parts CPU Intel i - k GPU Gigagyte WindForce GTX RAM GB G Skill x GB MOBO MSI Z S SLI Krait Edition PSU Seasonic G-Series W SSD x Samsung EVO GB x Samsung EVO GB

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Installed Windows 10. Now I can't boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Installed Windows 10. Now I can't boot Windows 10 or Linux Mint.

With the configuration that you can boot Windows 10 from, we need a full screenshot of disk management with the columns expanded so we can see all the information in them:
Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/51181-installed-windows-10-now-i-cant-boot-windows-10-linux-mint.html
Relevancy 104.92%

Well, hello back! I have been using Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, since the last time I visited the forums but now I want to dual boot with Windows 7....

So...
I have just Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu 9.10) installed on my laptop (nothing else), and I if I wanted to dual boot with Windows 7, how would I do it?
I've read guides and stuff but they're sometimes outdated, and I know I could use VirtualBox to run Windows 7 but I want to dual-boot.

A:How to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 7?

Quote: Originally Posted by bp96

Well, hello back! I have been using Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, since the last time I visited the forums but now I want to dual boot with Windows 7....

So...
I have just Mint 8 (based on Ubuntu 9.10) installed on my laptop (nothing else), and I if I wanted to dual boot with Windows 7, how would I do it?
I've read guides and stuff but they're sometimes outdated, and I know I could use VirtualBox to run Windows 7 but I want to dual-boot.

See if this helps you out,

Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/116306-how-dual-boot-linux-mint-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 104.92%

Hello,

Not sure if this should go Linux forums or here so I decided to try both
What I have here is a brand new machine with two empty hard disks, one ssd and another regular one.
Now, I would like to install windows 8 (+ most used programs) on the ssd and Mint (+ other linux stuff) on the regular disk.
This regular disk should also be divided, giving linux around 20gb (ext4) and leave the rest for windows (ReFS, ntfs or whatever it that windows 8 is using).
I would also prefer to have the system boot to Windows by default.
What would be the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

A:Dual boot | Windows 8 on ssd and Linux Mint on hdd

I did something similar... well I had Win7 installed first then I installed Ubuntu Linux and it became the secondary OS.
Windows first then Linux .. that should get it done. HTH

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/9618-dual-boot-windows-8-ssd-linux-mint-hdd.html
Relevancy 102.34%

Windows bootloader used to show some glitchy graphics instead of W logo from time to time however until now it usually managed to get it's job done launch Windows or Windows Until now Well it's now stuck to Windows for some reason Most often it shows it's distorted graphics then it launches Win w o asking This renders Win unbootable If that's relevant a Win came preinstalled then I put Win next to it and then I proceeded with on Mint a boot won't Win7/Win8/Linux 8 multiboot Windows Mint b Because of that it is GRUB that shows first when the laptop starts Windows bootloader can only be launched from GRUB c Secure Boot was disabled by default d IIUC the boot is set to Legacy Bios not UEFI e I switched off fast startup at Win before installing Mint f I can launch Windows from Windows installation media but Automatic Repair fails to repair anything I was hoping that maybe Automatic Repair could reinstall Windows bootloader even if it got rid of GRUB in the process but then hopefully I could restore GRUB - or not g I'm really too slobby I lost Windows installation media somewhere Perhaps I could find it by searching up the whole flat OK how to fix this Y I know attempting to have three OSes installed on one Windows 8 won't boot on a Win7/Win8/Linux Mint multiboot laptop w o having deep knowledge about boot-related things was asking for problems but still I need Linux and I need Windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/windows-8-wont-boot-on-a-win7-win8-linux-mint-multiboot-911546.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Hello I own an HP Envy notebook K -NL and have considerable difficulty installing Linux Ubuntu and Linux Mint in dual-boot and triple-boot Both with Secure Boot enabled or disabled either enabled or disabled legacy both with fast boot enabled or disabled and also with the default boot from internal CD DVD ROM it is Boot K112-NL Envy 15 Dual Windows HP 8.1/Linux Ubuntu-Mint impossible to install Linux alongside Windows I managed for a moment to start the Linux Mint DVD but it is planted to the first screen Dual Boot Windows 8.1/Linux Ubuntu-Mint HP Envy 15 K112-NL I think just by reading other forums that HP does everything to not allow this operation Dual Boot Windows 8.1/Linux Ubuntu-Mint HP Envy 15 K112-NL Has anyone had the same problem If yes how he solved it Thank you Google Translation nbsp Original post Italian Buongiorno posseggo un notebook HP Envy K -NL e ho notevoli difficolt ad installare Linux Ubuntu e Linux Mint in dual-boot e triple-boot Sia con Secure boot abilitato o disabilitato sia con legacy abilitato o disabilitato sia con fast boot abilitato o disabilitato e inoltre con l'avvio predefinito da internal CD DVD ROM impossibile installare Linux accanto a Windows Sono riuscito un attimo a far partire il DVD di Linux Mint ma si piantato alla prima schermata Penso proprio leggendo altri forum che HP faccia di tutto per non permettere questa operazione Qualcuno ha avuto il mio stesso problema Se s come lo ha risolto Grazie

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Dual-Boot-Windows-8-1-Linux-Ubuntu-Mint-HP-Envy-15-K112-NL/td-p/5769022
Relevancy 90.73%

Hay,

K I have a dell dimension 5100 here to do me untill I build my own PC ren outta funds so kinda have to use this 4 a bit ughh, now mint works ok. Wht my question is I want to remove XP Home for a XP Pro black editon and stick it on a small partition. Can I remove the XP Home I have and install the Pro XP without interfering with my Mint install?

Also I want to install 2 more linux distros elementry and Tor... How would I go about doin that?

If I have to il wipe d mint I have.

Hope I get some help... Thank k all :-) have a good day.

A:WinXp Home installed on 1 partition Linux Mint 17.1 on another, question?

from here http://www.ehow.com/about_7237075_windows-xp-pro-black-edition_.html

XP Black isn't an official Microsoft release, it's pirated. As a result, you're not going to find one standard Black Edition, nor are you guaranteed it will be free of malware.
The nickname is derived from its black or very dark desktop theme and the fact that it's an illegal version of XP, usually XP Professional.
There is no standard version of Windows XP Black. Not only is the OS pirated, but so is the software that's crammed with it. XP Black comes loaded with programs that would cost you thousands of dollars if you bought them properly. Depending on who puts the package together, you can get multiple versions of: browsers, CD/DVD burning software, business software--even security programs, which is ironic since it's almost impossible to find a Black Edition without malware.
Among the hacks in XP Black, it requires no serial number and it bypasses XP's Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) security measures.

Since you are asking about how to use pirated software, we will not be able to help you with your Windows question. If we did help you with this we would be encouraging you to use it.
Bleeping Computer rules, found here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/, state (bold red mine)

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

You can receive help regarding Linux and Tor.
Post in Linux & Unix forum for help with that http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/
This topic is closed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/580161/winxp-home-installed-on-1-partition-linux-mint-171-on-another-question/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi there, people of the internet.
I'm having some issues trying to re-install Windows 7 back to my laptop having switching fully to Linux Mint 16. I've got an ISO file for the installation of Windows (I have genuine code) but having some massive fail moments trying to work it.

I've used the USB Image Writter to put my ISO file onto my formatted USB but when I try to boot from it from restart I get the error "No Boot Sector on USB" So that has confused me quite so. I'm using a Dell Inspiron i545 and having a nightmare with it.

I don't have any side portions of Windows just 100% Linux. If I can get some help It will be greatly appreciated.

Forever in your debt,
Martin.

A:Trouble with Re-Installing Windows from Linux Mint 16 - ISO-USB

From Wikipaedia:

There is no standard definition for ISO image files. ISO disc images are uncompressed and do not use a particular container format; they are a sector-by-sector copy of the data on an optical disc, stored inside a binary file. ISO images are expected to contain the binary image of an optical media file system (usually ISO 9660 and its extensions or UDF), including the data in its files in binary format, copied exactly as they were stored on the disc. The data inside the ISO image will be structured according to the file system that was used on the optical disc from which it was created.Click to expand...

So although an .iso file of (say) linux might well be bootable, it's not true that all .iso images are. I don't know what that .iso image actually is, although it might well be an image of a Windows 7 setup CD. But that is not how it looks on a USB drive. I think you will have to go back to the setup CD and take a more normal type of exact copy, or re-write it to USB with a more explicit instruction to the writing software that 'this is supposed to be bootable'.

Just in case - have you checked in the bios that a USB drive can be set 'bootable', and that it is top of the drives list ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trouble-with-re-installing-windows-from-linux-mint-16-iso-usb.199783/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello,

I am currently running a dual boot setup with Ununtu 12.10 x64 and Windows 7 Home Premium x64 I was wondering if I could add Linux Mint 14 to the setup. Is this possible? I tried installing it 'alongside windows' but it said i have to uninstall Ubuntu. I haven't done that much work with system booting as of yet but i catch on pretty quick with this sort of stuff. Also, does anyone have a link to where I could download the correct version of Linux Mint 14 for my PC? I have downloaded one already but am not sure whether or not it is the right one. Then name is 'linuxmint-14.1-mate-dvd-64bit.iso'. I would also like a link to a detailed tutorial on how to setup what I'm looking for and a list of recommended software (I've got Paragon Partition Manager 12 and EasyBCD 2.2).

Thanks in advance,

TheDoctor1212

A:Multiboot: Windows 7, Ubuntu 12.10, Linux Mint 14?

It should be possible, I used to have a tripple boot myself for a while. Just make sure you add Mint to Grub.

Current version of Mint:
Download - Linux Mint

Oke, first you'll need to check if you have an empty partition to install Mint on. If not, create one.
You can check this in "disk management".

If you have enough partitions Ubuntu should stop giving you the uninstall message, and Mint should just install itself using the default installer.

And for the detailed toturial:
Video toturial
Official user guide

And finally the software:
Lots and lots of programs
The official Linux Mint software portal (I recommend using this one)

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Nommy

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/281125-multiboot-windows-7-ubuntu-12-10-linux-mint-14-a.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a netbook on ebay with Linux Mint pre-installed. I want to rid of Linux and install Windows 7 Ultimate, however the only device I have to date is a 2GB SD card as I've either lost or broken my USB's or external HDD's.. Is there a way to create a bootable SD card with a small downloadable copy of Windows and install it to the HDD? Then download a 'full' copy of Windows to install that and activate it with a key?

Otherwise I'm going to have to go out and get a USB stick. Or is there an easier way with mounting etc?

Thanks.

A:Installing Windows from an SD card on a netbook with Linux Mint

Hi,

I speak under correction, but as far as I know the minimum size required for a Windows install from a USB stick is 4GB.

Microsoft Store Online

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/236585-installing-windows-sd-card-netbook-linux-mint.html
Relevancy 88.15%

My current configuration is XP in Linux a with system. Replacing Windows Mint Multiboot a multiboot system with three partitions on my system drive disk Partition D Windows XP Partition E Data Set Partition and Partition C Windows My secondary drive which is not really relative to this dialog has partitions for system backups system and application paging areas and a frees space area This system works flawlessly with Windows managing the initial boot process My primary goal and the basis for this posting is to find the Replacing Windows XP with Linux Mint in a Multiboot system. best way to replace my Windows XP partition with Linux Mint Which of the following makes the most sense or is there yet another less hazardous path Install Linux over XP Should I just clean format the current XP partition and install Linux Mint over it leaving the windows partition in tact Will the Windows boot menu still function even though it is actually thinks it is offering an XP boot option which in reality would be Linux Ground Zero approach Should I reformat the entire drive and set up the three blank partitions followed by a clean intall yikes of Windows Followed by a clean install of Linux and then I am guessing installing Grub to manage the boot process I don't think I can use an image file backup of windows image for dos since it will be expecting an XP boot option Windows will not allow me to backup restore Win without Win XP Disk map is attached Help

A:Replacing Windows XP with Linux Mint in a Multiboot system.

First, I would install EasyBCD in Windows 7. Then I'd install Linux over XP - pick 'something else' during the partitioning stage and you can tell it exactly what to do - check the box to 'format' that partition to ext4. . On that same screen, make sure to specify that grub be installed in that same partition as Linux, not the MBR. I'd also create a small swap partition on the second drive where you say you have some free space, 4GB or so.

Boot to Windows, use EasyBCD to delete the XP entry and create a grub2 Linux entry EasyBCD will automatically detect the correct partition.

That should do it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/342763-replacing-windows-xp-linux-mint-multiboot-system.html
Relevancy 88.15%

How would one go about installing Windows 7 (assuming one has a legitimate Windows 7 CD) on a dual boot, on a computer that has only Linux (precisely Linux Mint) as an OS?

Recently, a nasty virus on my Windows 7 partition basically destroyed its boot system (dual-boot with a ~500 GB hard drive, 30 GB allocated to Linux Mint 17.1). Upon restarting the computer, the computer would become stuck on a blank screen with a flashing cursor on the top-left; not even the GRUB menu would show up (and F11 recovery option is basically obliterated). Currently, I have/I am using a USB with Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela burnt onto it.

Rather than go through the hassle of repairing the Windows system, I am considering installing Linux Mint as the sole system (thus formatting the drive), and later installing Windows 7 as a dual-boot system. My main concern is if that is possible.

Relevancy 88.15%

Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk Imaging for Windows 7, Vista, XP and Server 2003/2008
I just installed Linux Mint as a duel boot and I would like to know if I can use Macrium Reflect to create an image for the entire thing. Is that possible?

by entire thing I mean I want to be able to make one image for my entire duel boot so I can restore both at any time

A:Will Macrium Reflect image Linux Mint as well as Windows 7?

Mmm. Interesting question. I don't see why not.

Is the Linux partition available for selection when you first open Macrium?

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/216180-will-macrium-reflect-image-linux-mint-well-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I screwed up. I have a 2 HD system. Windows 7 is on HD #2 in F: partition. Installed Ubuntu into empty C: partition on HD #1. Can't boot into Windows on HD #2. Probably overwrote the MBR? To boot into Ubuntu on HD #1 I changed the order of the HDs in the BIOS.

I tried the Windows 7 Repair Disc, but it wants to add a couple of startup options, both of which have the line "Windows Device: Partition = C (439999MB)." C: is not the windows device.

How do I get out of this predicament? I'm assuming there's some utility I can run from the DVD drive. I thought about EasyBCD but was told I had to run it from Windows.

A:Installed Linux - Can't boot into Windows

When you start Windows with the installation media, select Repair. Then get to a command prompt. When you're in the command prompt type bootrec /FixMBR

You can also try bootrec /ScanOS to make sure that your OS is still listed

Bcdedit.exe is used to set the default boot configuration

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installed-linux-cant-boot-into-windows.1065249/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello SevenForums, members and great administrators.

First, there is a lot forums and sections , so If posted in incorrect one please move it.

Second,

I want to Dual-boot Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with Linux Mint (or maybe Debian). I know , with Ubuntu is very easy, but I hate it That is because, low driver support , bad name , bad look and much other.

Questions :
1. How to do it ?
2. What I need ?
3. Do I need empty DVD or Windows 7 Installation DVD (because I lost this one) ?

I'm currently using LMint in VM , but I need it on my current machine , Dual-boot with Win7. And I will delete Win8 for this.

Answer when you can.
Thanks in advance.
Trinty

A:Dual-booting Windows 7 Ultimate and Linux Mint (or Debian)

Hi Trinity -

Be sure to make a Win7 System Repair Disk for rescue purposes if you dont' have the installer.

GRUB boot loader can corrupt Win7 beyond repair when on the same HD, so be sure to also save externally a Win7 backup image: Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

The cleanest method to avoid GRUB corruption of Win7 is given here by our moderator: Dual boot Ubuntu-Win7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/234136-dual-booting-windows-7-ultimate-linux-mint-debian.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I have read the post by Kurzo and have a question regarding the [/home] partition. Specifically if I have a created a separate partition for windows, documents, can this also be used by Linux as the [/home] partition?

A:Dual Boot W7 Linux Mint

Hi Not quite sure what you want to achieve, but I will try and give you some relevant info. You should make/take/create Recovery Media for Windows 7 so that it can be re-installed at a later date if wanted.  If you view the Hard Disk and can take a screen shot to post here it may help to give more targeted advice. I would expect to shrink the C: and create 3 or 4 more partitions //home/swap and perhaps a common data storage area formatted to NTFS. Then when Mint is installed the common data area can be mounted to use for docs between W`indows and Mint. If in doubt please ask.

Happy 2 [email protected]

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Dual-Boot-W7-Linux-Mint/td-p/5597539
Relevancy 86.43%

Hello I wanted to install Ubuntu Linux on my laptop Installed Linux w/PartitionMagic and Windows=no boot for a while I finnally decided to Installed Linux w/PartitionMagic and Windows=no boot and so I arranged my disk with Partition Magic to install it It was the biggest error dead I left Gb for the Linux ext ext by Ubuntu install and Mb for the Swap what s that anyway It was recommended I did all I needed for my drive then rebooted windows and set the new Linux partition as active thought I had to do it to install it Ubuntu works well and all but Windows won t start after the boot screen it tries to run chkdisk or something like that and after it shows a dark blue screen with some error on it I can specifiy What do I need to do to set the Windows partition as active and STILL be able to run GRUB I can always reformat I just did it and kept my backup on my parents comp will lose SOME files But since it ll be the rd time in days I don t feel like it EDIT Forgot to mention that I can t see the partition on BartPE and PartitionDiskDoctor does not recognize my partition table and when I try to rebuild it it only finds the Swap partition nbsp

A:Installed Linux w/PartitionMagic and Windows=no boot

jog your memory hard; what was the specific partition magic commands you used
and in what order were they executed ... it matters.

The first thing you NEEDED to do was to reduce the existing partition AND
to create a new one for the Linux with a logical sub-partition for the swap.
btw: SWAP is the area Linux uses just like the windows pagefile...
a place dedicated to virtural memory i/o.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installed-linux-w-partitionmagic-and-windows-no-boot.33422/
Relevancy 86%

Hello EightForums administrators and other members

Today, I installed Linux Mint 13 to try some appliactions, programs and other good things.
I downloaded it normally , followed guide from this forum and after installing it I don't have network connection.

I tried with all type of network switches and activated Legacy Network Adapter but it don't work (I configured in network adapter for ex. External Network 1 , I want to say it's not say : Not Connected in VM Settings).

When I turn it Linux Mint says : Disconnected - you are now offline.

How to configure network and the Internet to work with Linux Mint VM ?

Thanks in advance and please answer soon.
{Baltic}Trinty.

A:Windows 8 Hyper-V-How to configure network to work in Linux Mint Guest

I'm new to Hyper-V myself but I think there are 2 guides you should follow:
linux:
Hyper-V ? Create Linux Virtual Machine in Windows 8

How to use (vista example):
Hyper-V - How to Use in Windows 8

And there is someone that manages to add network to Vista so maybe you can apply that to LMDE.

Good luck
Hopachi

http://www.eightforums.com/virtualization/6846-windows-8-hyper-v-how-configure-network-work-linux-mint-guest.html
Relevancy 85.57%

So anyway I did this to the point at which I dont see the linux partition but it still I How dual mint boot. 8.1 do linux remove from showing when i reboot help me remove it completely as it did not install correctly I did this but dont see the partitions is there any other way to remove it or what should I look for I dont see any ext partitions either not sure if linux loaded correctly but either way its at the start up when I restart EasyBCD download http neosmart net Download Register Just write something in those boxes and you ll be able to download it free You re How do I remove linux mint from 8.1 dual boot. at the GRUB menu Boot into Windows Having the EasyBCD now Open EasyBCD Go to BCD Deployment By default you will have the Install the Windows Vista bootloader to the MBR button checked If you don t have that checked check it now before it s too late Click on Write MBR that red button This removed the How do I remove linux mint from 8.1 dual boot. GRUB menu and made Windows load automatically Go now to Edit boot menu Highlight Windows Check Skip the boot menu And then Save settings Close EasyBCD Right Click on My Computer Click on Manage and the partitions will pop-up now you re just going to remove the Linux partition Right-Click on the Linux volume and click Delete volume Now Right-click on the deleted volume and click Delete partition Now you lost everything on Linux if you didn t back-up your files they re gone forever Now right click on your Drive that s near the empty partition and click on Extend volume It will automatically set the size of extension just click next and you re done

A:How do I remove linux mint from 8.1 dual boot.

Hi

Make sure you are booted into Windows not Linux Mint.

Follow steps 1 - 10 carefully

For Windows 8.1 hit  <Windows> + <C> keys to open the charms bar.
Click Search and type Disk Management in the field. Click Create and format hard disk partitions, to open the Disk Management window .

When the window opens, you will see a list of all drives/partitions on your system along with a graphic representation of each.

My system showed 2 partitions not formatted as NTFS matter of fact the 'file system' column for each was blank
Right click the Volume(s) and click Delete. Right click the Deleted Volume and delete the partition.

Now you can extend the another partition to increase space or leave it blank and install Windows Technical Preview as I did.

I followed the same directions you've posted above, 2 nights ago to remove Linux Mint from my dual-boot with Windows 7. Everything went without a hitch.

Lots of luck and Please keep BC posted!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550795/how-do-i-remove-linux-mint-from-81-dual-boot/
Relevancy 85.57%

I folks Currently I'm running a dual boot with Windows and Linux Mint When I boot up I get Windows Boot Loader and default to upgade boot Mint dual W7/Linux W If I choose the second choice Linux Mint I go to GRUB and boot into Linux Mint Very shortly Linux Mint will be released The recommendation is for people to do a clean install I'm wondering whether if I clean install Linux Mint on the partition that LM now occupies on a separate HDD it will mess up my boot What I mean is whether GRUB will be my first boot loader and default into Linux I'd prefer to keep it W7/Linux Mint dual boot upgade as it is but I'm unsure about how to go about this upgrade For one thing Windows cannot see Linux so I'm kind of guessing which partition my current Linux install is on As I say it's on a different HDD so I could disconnect my Windows drive altogether Not sure whether this would be a worthwhile thing to do though Any suggestions would be welcome John

A:W7/Linux Mint dual boot upgade

Hello John.

As you know which HDD is the Windows 7 HDD and so on ...

The best way would be to power down and disconnect all HDDs except the Windows 7 HDD, connect it to the #1 SATA port of the mobo and set it as the first boot device in the main BIOS, make sure Windows 7 is the Active partition and make sure it boots all by itself as the "System" partition.

Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Then power down and disconnect the Windows 7 HDD and connect the HDD you want to use for Linux and do the install to that; when finished power down and reconnect all the HDDs putting Windows 7 back at SATA #1 and use the one-time boot menu for your Gigabyte board (which is the F12 hot-key) to boot to whichever OS/HDD you want to boot at PC startup.

Post a snip of disk management to see and if you have questions be sure to ask.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/162482-w7-linux-mint-dual-boot-upgade.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Yeah I really messed up here ... Ok so I went ahead and tested out Linux Mint 11. Looked good, so I wanted to install it alongside my Windows 7 for a dual-boot. When it came time to select the partition to install on, I DELETED a ~69gb partition, and created two partitions from the freed unused space, ext4 and linux-swap. I believe something was on that partition that was needed... >_> Linux Mint now works fine. But when I turn on the computer and select Win 7 from the grub loader, Windows starts up (The flag animation), but turns to Blue Screen midway and the computer reboots. I still have my partition in which Windows was installed, with WINDOWS, USERS, SYSTEM32, and all my documents. etc... but I cant boot into Windows.

Anything I can do to repair this? Or am I stuck like this forever?

A:Deleted a partition. Installed Linux. Can't boot into Windows

You can try Startup Repair but I don't know if that will help

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/171008-deleted-partition-installed-linux-cant-boot-into-windows.html
Relevancy 84.71%

After asking someone to help me remove Linux Mint from Windows Vista I now have the following message upon booting up the computer.

Error: no such partition
Entering Rescue mode
rub  rescue

My question is how do I resolve this? Please help.

A:Serious problem after trying to remove dual boot Linux Mint

Do you have a Vista Install disk?

Edit: The install disk will let you do a startup repair.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549848/serious-problem-after-trying-to-remove-dual-boot-linux-mint/
Relevancy 83.85%

I have a new Lenovo E preloaded with OEM Win PRO bit and no discs - on Linux new Mint PRO with boot dual Win7 Lenovo a E540 other than an upgrade to Win PRO no thanks Q How do I make a recovery disc of the current Win PRO bit - I have never done it before a recovery virgin So far Win7 PRO dual boot with Linux Mint on a new Lenovo E540 when the Lenovo was started the OS was registered with MS but I declined any upgrades until the PC is Win7 PRO dual boot with Linux Mint on a new Lenovo E540 carefully prepared and imaged before any use and exposure to the internet - registration of the OS was unavoidable Win7 PRO dual boot with Linux Mint on a new Lenovo E540 because the Lenovo took possession as soon as the PC was booted The Lenovo is a clean machine so I want it properly setup and imaged to simplify future maintenance Q At what point do I create partitions for Win PRO Linux OS -- Mint Q For testing downloads should I create a dedicated test partition or just use a SandBoxie tool Else where in this forum I read a post by Greg Rocker recommending to uninstall all the Toshiba crapware BUT I noticed that he recommended that some Toshiba stuff be retained Previously again in this forum I have read to dump branded laptop OEM all together and just use a generic OEM on a laptop I would be grateful for any guidance Thank you -------------------- LENOVO E SPECS E - C BVAU Intel i TB HDD GB RAM x USB x USB Win- PRO -bit with discs to upgrade to Win

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/382726-win7-pro-dual-boot-linux-mint-new-lenovo-e540.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I am on Linux Mint 17.2 (Cinnamon as DE) (with kernel 4.2.0.18 installed and loaded) and I'm getting this message when trying to add a PPA via the terminal: Cannot add ppa: 'no json object could be decoded'. What is the cause and what is the fix?

Secondly, I think I installe GzDoom correctly) but I get: Something went wrong!
If you haven't installed any Doom IWAD files yet or if GZDoom is unable to locate them, put the files or symlinks to them in '/home/dlf/.config/gzdoom' or start the game with the command 'DOOMWADDIR=/path/to/iwadfiledir gzdoom'. . . . So where do I put the files (IWAD? pk3?) I'd presume something like: /home/dlf/.config/gzdoom. And how could I get Wolfenstein 3d/SOD/Quake working with (G)zdoom. I'm on Linux Mint 17.2 with cinnamon (as the desktop environment) if it matters.

https://hardforum.com/threads/linux-cannot-add-ppa-no-json-object-could-be-decoded-linux-mint-17-2.1884215/
Relevancy 74.39%

Goal Dual boot Windows and Linux and have an NTFS partition for both OS Boot Windows problem tools Linux: with 7 disk Linux Dual Partitioning Problem When creating Logical Partitions with any Linux partition tool Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem Gparted cfdisk the Linux swap and ext partitions shows Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem up on Windows as primary partitions outside of the Extended partition while the NTFS partition Dual Boot Windows 7 Linux: Partitioning with Linux disk tools problem shows up inside the Extended partition as logical drive Disk management shows primary partitions and logical drive inside an extended partition As seen in Disk jpg attachment I'm using MBR not UEFI I can create the partitions in Windows disk management and choose not to format the two logical partitions used for Linux I can then use the mkswap and mkfs ext command to format the partitions See Disk jpg attachment Questions Why is Windows disk management not showing my partitions correctly when I use a Linux tool to partition the disk Will this cause any problems with Windows I'm afraid of making Windows unbootable although it booted just fine I do plan on using EasyBCD to add an entry to load the grub bootloader for Linux If I partition my disk with Windows disk management as seen in Disk jpg will that cause any problems for Linux What is the recommended way to handle this What are the downsides to each way Note I'm a bit of a linux noob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/383556-dual-boot-windows-7-linux-partitioning-linux-disk-tools-problem.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hello i have a couple of questions i want to try a different os for my windows 7 computer but im pretty confused on which one too use. theres this one ubuntu Ubuntu online tour and then linux New features in Linux Mint 13 - Linux Mint which one should i try out and is it user friendly? and how many other os are there for windows 7 im pretty confused... and before i download it should i backup my pc before i install it. any input would be helpful. thanks

A:want to try unbuntu and linux or linux mint

Linux mint is comparatively easier to use, as it's GUI is similar to Windows. On the other hand, Ubuntu or Fedora look a bit different, but the functions are basically the same.

It will be a good idea to take a backup before installation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/232418-want-try-unbuntu-linux-linux-mint.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I have bought a second-hand computer a Dell Latitude D520, it didn't have a operating system on it, I installed Linux Mint. I already had a BT hub and tried a wireless connection with the hub but didn't succeed, the wireless device on the computer is enabled, I contacted the people I bought the computer from they recon the Linux drivers are not compatible with BT broadband, do you have any suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linux-mint.1160770/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi,

newbie here, am really frustated trying to installL linux Mint-14. Every time I enter my (password) it says
(password) does not match, have reset the password 3 times, any help appreciated, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium, am logged into the forum with this password, thanks

billog

A:Help, Linux Mint-14

Not a big Linux user, albeit sometimes if you use upper case with any log in this can be a problem. The only thing I can really recommend is to reinstall and make sure that you write down both the user name and the password down before entering into the OS; this way you will hopefully have no further problems.

Good Luck. . ., and BTW, "Welcome to the Seven Forums."

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/291069-help-linux-mint-14-a.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I know that this is a Windows 7 forums but the people on this site are so much faster in getting things done than most sites which I appreciate.

I was just wondering how to delete some keys that "apt-get update" checks for... when I run the command in terminal this is what I get at the bottom

W: Failed to fetch http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...amd64/Packages 404 Not found

W: Failed to fetch http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...-i386/Packages 404 Not found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

A:Linux Mint 12 x64

Hi,

I don't think you can edit the repositories directly, although I may be wrong. I suggest changing your software sources to the main server, or another mirror, and then trying:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
If this doesn't solve the problem, check to see whether Synaptic Package Manager is open elsewhere, and close it before running these commands.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/225508-linux-mint-12-x64.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi there

Linux Mint (17) QIANA now released

I Am trying this in a VM now before testing on a REAL machine. I'm looking for good things with this release --it's a LTS (Long Term support) release which will be supported until 2019.

This is the sort of things I've been looking for -- I tend to use Linux as an everyday desktop and like the idea of Long term release support -- one of the main reasons I chose OPENSUSE over a lot of other ones - but I do prefer a debian based system over an RPM based one like SUSE even though I haven't had too many complaints with it.

(I recommend you use the LEGAL torrent in their links - it's a lot faster than some of the servers until the mirrors get loaded up with the new release).

The Linux Mint Blog ? Blog Archive ? Linux Mint 17 ?Qiana? Cinnamon RC released!

Cheers
jimbo

A:Linux users - Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" releaed

Originally Posted by jimbo45

Hi there

Linux Mint (17) QIANA now released

I Am trying this in a VM now before testing on a REAL machine. I'm looking for good things with this release --it's a LTS (Long Term support) release which will be supported until 2019.

This is the sort of things I've been looking for -- I tend to use Linux as an everyday desktop and like the idea of Long term release support -- one of the main reasons I chose OPENSUSE over a lot of other ones - but I do prefer a debian based system over an RPM based one like SUSE even though I haven't had too many complaints with it.

(I recommend you use the LEGAL torrent in their links - it's a lot faster than some of the servers until the mirrors get loaded up with the new release).

The Linux Mint Blog ? Blog Archive ? Linux Mint 17 ?Qiana? Cinnamon RC released!

Cheers
jimbo

Yup... great news...Just to emphasise - Qiana is RC at the moment...

http://www.eightforums.com/virtualization/46469-linux-users-linux-mint-17-qiana-releaed.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I've read the Dota 2 Linux Minimum System Requirements are:

Ubuntu 12.04
Dual core from Intel or AMD at 2.8 GHz
4GB RAM
4GB Hard Drive Space,
nVidia GeForce 8600/9600GT, ATI/AMD Radeaon HD2600/3600 (Graphic Drivers: nVidia 310, AMD 12.11), OpenGL 2.1
OpenAL Compatible Sound Card

But I use:

Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" with Cinnamon 1.6
Quad-core Intel 4670K-i5 Haswell
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 770 Gaming Edition
Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard

And for some reason DotA 2 won't launch. I have successfully installed Steam, then proceeded to install DotA 2. When I click "Play" in Steam, it loads, plays the Valve intro animation, then closes out. Whyyyy? I thought Linux Mint was built off of Ubuntu?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dota-2-on-linux-mint.1106831/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello all,

After some searching I thought I'd ask here.  Does anyone know of a system-wide EQ for Linux Mint, similar to the Realtek one in windows?  I did come across one called PulseAudio, but that seems to be either out of date or not maintained anymore from what I read.  Not a big deal, just like having the ability to dial in half decent sounds on youtube and the like.

Apologies if I missed this already.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604211/system-eq-for-linux-mint/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi I installed Linux Mint on my external HDD Worked fine Booted Linux when external HDD was plugged in Win when not Unfortunately at one point Linux Mint updated its kernel headers and I suppose it made an Mint Destroyed BCD with Linux update to Grub with this gt no boot to Win although all data was still there I tried a Win recovery cd image via USB-Stick no cd drive available gt no windows found I tried bootrec bootsect but that did not help quot element not found quot There was a drive E with mb which held a boot folder C with win on it did not I tried diskpart for activating partitions etc Nothing worked Someone suggested quot sudo update-grub quot in linux mint still worked if plugged in That one found windows and it looked like it was making an entry for it beneath diverse linux mint options Next restart brought only a grub-console but no boot options gt no linux either now I restartet using USB-Win recovery Now the mb partition is gone I suppose thats ok since I sat it to hidden boot in gparted all the drive letters are wildly assigned in diskpart and I do not know what to do now Destroyed BCD with Linux Mint Thx for any help Tommy

A:Destroyed BCD with Linux Mint

Linux has obviously grabbed complete control over your boot process. If you are going to fix this I have a feeling you'll have more luck on the linux forums than here.

Though I personally only deal with linux when I have too. It's possible some people here are different.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/143484-destroyed-bcd-linux-mint.html
Relevancy 71.38%

right so i got my win 7 + 8.1 all good with all the raids what ever ........ so unplugged all that and trying to install linux mint 16 or the cinnaman one 64 bit, on a PQ5 PRO MB on seperate disk

but iso dvd wont load the dvd player cant see it ? if i load win seven rescue disk it loads and i even reformated disk from commaned promt

run out off ideas any help here ?

A:Installing linux mint 16

After much research i concluded its must be a corrupt mint download so i re downloaded but instead of burning a DVD from the ISO i chose to add to usb stick using "Pendrivelinux" very easy to use program unfortunately still wouldn't work

then i was reading something somewhere and someone was advised to try a different usb stick so i fort i would too and success, i know have a fully installed and working linux mint 16 64bit Cinnamon

just got to get it to multi boot with windows now

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/325407-installing-linux-mint-16-a.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Okay, I just downloaded linux mint and burned the iso onto a disk and I was looking around do I have to have unbuntu to install mint? :c

A:Newbie to Linux Mint

If you're this new to Linux, maybe start off with Ubuntu.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/newbie-to-linux-mint.189749/
Relevancy 71.38%

HiI?m experiencing an issue with my printer which when used with windows 10 works fine but I am also using Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 O.S. on my laptop which is my preferred operating system. The problem is that I am unable to print, either Linux does not recognise this printer model or vice/versaThe printer is there when I open ?Printer? in the mint menu. But that?s it. If I open another window in ?what?s printing ?it shows several documents ready to print. But just does not print! Although it printed fine on my old desktop running Mint ?Mate? O.S. (now no longer in use). I have tried downloading and installing ?HPLIP but without success anyone out there with a solution, it would be greatly appreciated. 

A:printing on linux mint

Did you try this: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1200

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/printing-on-linux-mint/td-p/5778501
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi all,I have a question,I have dual booted many times before but only with windows os.I downloaded an ISO of linux mint and burned it to cd.Would like to know if it would be the same process as dual booting
windows os.Don't want to run into any surprises,thank-you.

A:Dualboot 8.1 and Linux Mint

I can't say if it would be the same process since you didn't describe what you did before.  However, this article is the one I followed to install Linux Mint alongside Windows.  You should note that there are certain steps that are specific to dual booting Windows 8.1 and Linux Mint on a UEFI system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612983/dualboot-81-and-linux-mint/
Relevancy 71.38%

is it possible to have a running version of windows 8 as my main operating but some time boot to Linux mint if so what is the smallest distribution of Linux mint

A:windows8 and linux mint

Hello James, take a look at this: http://thpc.info/dual/win7/install_mint_inside_win7.html This article might answer some questions for you. I know it's a windows 7 installations but most everything that runs on 7 will run on 8 also.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/480204/windows8-and-linux-mint/
Relevancy 70.52%

Was trying to delete Linux from my dual boot and I accidentally the whole Windows 8 boot loader (again). But this time is worse.

I have Linux installed to get the boot loader back. Windows appears in the GRUB boot menu, but it is corrupted and will not boot. When I try to boot from it, it now goes to a "preparing automatic repairs" screen followed by an "attempting repairs" screen. I'm given an "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC." Then it takes me to the Windows 8 recovery options.

Before it got corrupted, I tried doing a system restore from the recovery options but had to force a shutdown because the restore got stuck and would not end even after 10 hours had passed. That was probably a bad idea.

What should I try next?

A:Borked my Windows/Linux dual boot, Windows won't boot anymore

if you have a windows 8 disk, you can try a startup repair.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/borked-my-windows-linux-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-anymore-701798.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi All,
The title says it all. I want to have a shared folder on all my computers. Presently win 7 and win 8 share a folder being members of the same home-group and I would like to share it also with a Linux Mint computer. I want to know if it's possible to add the Linux Machine to my home-group or how I can share a folder on my home network.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.......Tom

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/73340-how-add-linux-mint-my-win8-homegroup.html
Relevancy 70.52%

if yes how can i do ? :) I using os x on mac , linux on samsung and win 10 on surface . I would a dual boot on surface

A:can i install linux mint on surface 3 2/64?

Hi, this question has been asked before (see link below). Can I install a dual boot Linux on a Surface?
If you have any further questions or info, please join the Windows Central forums so that you can reply to this thread.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434201-can-i-install-linux-mint-surface-3-2-64-a.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi, I have been directed from the Linux forums to ask this concern here and I will just copy and paste what I asked there:

Are you able to answer the concerns about  "Possible Linux/Ebury - Operation Windigo installetd." An attacker can't infect you through just knowing your ip and then looking for vulnerable ports can they?

The only vulnerable ports I know of are the Samba ports and they were both closed on my vpn ip and my real ip. Plus I had a firewall set to reject all incoming traffic. The port checkers I used were http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Also upon I discovered that port 22 ssh was a vulnerable port which I never checked.

I'd be very grateful for any help on this. Thanks.

A:Linux Mint backdoor concern.

As this question has now been answered in another thread, I'll close this thread to prevent further confusion.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/629127/linux-mint-backdoor-concern/
Relevancy 70.52%

Linux Mint 18 (Sarah) Cinnamon and Mate editioins released

https://malwaretips.com/threads/linux-mint-18-sarah-released.61060/
Relevancy 70.52%

I want to install Windows XP Home Edition SP to an NTFS partition on my SSD The PC has the following devices hooked up GB SSD - ext and swap partitions taking up half the space Linux Mint installed A blank NTFS partition taking up the rest GB HDD - one NTFS partition TB HDD - one ext partition But when I run the XP setup disc it reports the following MB PC Add Linux with UEFI Mint XP running to Disc at Id on bus on ahcix MBR E Partition Unknown MB MB free MB Disk at Id on bus on ahcix Add XP to PC running Linux Mint with UEFI MBR C Partition Programs Fi NTFS MB MB free MB Disk at Id on bus on ahcix MBR F Partition Unknown MB MB free And if I select E it tells me Windows XP cannot recognize the partition you selected You never know what's going on there Maybe it does not like UEFI or ext MSI Gaming Add XP to PC running Linux Mint with UEFI Motherboard AMD FX- Eight-core Black Edition GHz x GB DDR RAM OC MHz Corsair Force LX GB SATA SSD Seagate Momentus GB SATA HDD Seagate Desktop Add XP to PC running Linux Mint with UEFI TB SATA HDD Linux Mint Windows XP Home Edition SP

A:Add XP to PC running Linux Mint with UEFI

I want to install Windows XP Home Edition SP3 to an NTFS partition on my SSD.

Cool. Please keep in mind that Windows XP will overwrite GRUB. As such, you will lose access to Linux Mint, and will need to re-install GRUB using a Linux Mint live-flashdrive (or live-DVD).

Maybe it does not like UEFI or ext4?

In Linux Mint type:
sudo parted -l
This will show information about your harddrive, most importantly what kind of partition table you're using. Based on your comment about UEFI, I would presume you're using a GPT table, which Windows XP doesn't support. Nore does Windows XP support UEFI.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603375/add-xp-to-pc-running-linux-mint-with-uefi/
Relevancy 70.52%

i found some forum posts that use the method for installing ubuntu7.10 (by pendrivelinux.com) but the instructions seem to use commands for gibbon...do i have to modify any commands from that tutorial?
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28/usb-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-install/

A:Persistent linux mint install on usb?

I think the procedure in general is the same in every Linux.

There are instructions for Mint on pendrivelinux too, did you notice?

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10/31/usb-linux-mint-install-from-windows/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/persistent-linux-mint-install-on-usb.115242/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi, all. I have a strange problem here. When I quit, or minimize Chrome it just disappears. But it's still running, with no way to tell what's going on, except looking at processes. Before I caught the problem my computer was running slower, and slower, because I was starting a new instance of Chrome. Also, Chrome isn't remembering any passwords. I have reinstalled Chrome, of course.

Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon
Chrome 64 bit.

Any ideas? (Other than switch to FF, Lol.)

Thanks!

https://hardforum.com/threads/problem-with-chrome-in-linux-mint-18.1916672/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have a computer dual booted with Linux Mint and Windows Pro x Since I am fed up with Microsoft I am learning to use Linux Linux comes with Firefox as its default browser When I got the system connected to the net with Wi-Fi the browser worked fine for about an hour and then slowed down considerably When I try to load Firefox the activity circle will go round and round for a very long time Sometimes it loads Firefox and then the activity circle goes round and round for a very long time Other times the browser will time out and not even load Then when the browser loads Linux on very Mint slow Firefox and I try to go to any Firefox on Linux Mint very slow site the activity circle goes round and round for a long time and sometimes the site loads and sometimes it doesn't and it will time out When the site does load the activity circle goes round and round for a very long time I thought something was wrong with the computer so I shut down Linux booted to W and everything worked fine so it has to be a problem in Firefox Can anyone tell me what has happened to this browser Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/firefox-on-linux-mint-very-slow-1149417.html
Relevancy 70.52%

My current OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit on one HD, but I'm thinking of installing Linux Mint 64 bit on an extra HD and alternating between the two.
I would only be using one OS at a time on alternate HDs.
What would be a good antivirus, free or paid, to cover both?
Or should I go for two different antivirus programs?
I currently run Norton 360 Premier, but I'm not sure if it works with Linux.
I have not actually installed Linux yet.
Tnx in advance for any help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/385737-antivirus-win7-linux-mint.html
Relevancy 70.52%
A:CyberGhosT's Linux Mint Config

Consider using MBAM Premium as an on demand scanner only BTS is enough for real time protection.
You could also add an additional on demand scanner such as ESET Online Scanner
CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed
Some type of backup solution
If only for testing and you have another machine then you probably don't need all the above

https://malwaretips.com/threads/cyberghosts-linux-mint-config.49167/
Relevancy 70.52%

Y dual m gb ram installed Linux Mint on second hard drive and have Windows on the original tb drive I was able to swap the drives and boot without issue After upgrading to Win anniversary update swapping in the linux drive caused a boot error and after getting it to boot then swapping in the windows drive it would not boot at all Tried disabling secure boot and uefi legacy boot nothing worked Completely wiped the tb drive and installed Win again from scratch Secure boot enabled and uefi on Swapped out for the linux drive and again no boot Went in to bios and disabled secure boot and enable legacy boot mode-still no boot Turned on UEFI boot mode Linux Win separate 18 drives mint and 10 on but still no secure boot and linux drive boots fine I Linux mint 18 and Win 10 on separate drives have read that it should be possible to add the security code whatever to the firmware so it can boot in secure mode but nobody explains how that can be done BIOS flash to add code nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Linux-mint-18-and-Win-10-on-separate-drives/td-p/3431493
Relevancy 70.52%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 6050 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 594519 MB, Free - 504978 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, PEQAA
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

I have an XP operating system on two other computers that I want to replace with Linux Mint. What are the best free security software for viruses and malware protection for Linux Mint?
Thanks!
Larry

A:security protection for Linux Mint?

Hi,
A very useful article on that subject. Much less need than in Windows but when/why is covered here too. I run Crunchbang Linux with just a firewall and haven't experienced any problems - very conservative browsing habits though.
http://www.howtogeek.com/135392/htg...t-need-an-antivirus-on-linux-and-when-you-do/

Hope this helps?

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/security-protection-for-linux-mint.1124269/
Relevancy 70.52%

Alright guys, I was adding a line to my .profile for OpenGL to play L4D2 and after I re-booted and all of that when I log in I get this
"Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. if you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem.

View details (~/.xsession-errors file)
/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
etc/mdm/Xsession: 25: /home/milsurp-santa/ .profile: Syntax Error Unterminated Quoted String"

Any idea what to do?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-mint-syntax-error.200975/
Relevancy 70.52%

Last night I did a bunch of updates on my Linux Mint 17 VMWare Player client. Updates seemed to go well. Now when I start it goes to black screen, do see the logo first. Any way to recover or do I have to re-install?

A:Linux mint 17 black screen

Oh man, looking like re-install. Jimbo where are you? Help!

http://www.eightforums.com/virtualization/58443-linux-mint-17-black-screen.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I have an Asus laptop 1025c.
Atom processor, 2gb ram.

It originally had windows 7 starter and i hated it so i decided to flash crunchbang linux. turns out linux isnt for me so i created a bootable usb of windows xp and when i boot to it the setup loads for a sec but then after "starting setup" it says:

No previous version of windows nt can be found on this computer. Setup cannot verify that you qualify to install this upgrade product.
To quit setup, press F3.

so i was thinking maybe since linux wrote the grub bootloader to the mbr maybe i need to rewrite it for windows xp, and i did that with hirens boot disk. Tried to load xp again and same problem. Im stumped lol, searched google cant find an answer. Any help would be appreciated thanks

A:Installed Linux, now can't install windows -Asus Laptop

You have an Upgrade copy of XP which requires the qualifying precursor OS to be installed to use it.

I suggest you do a Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 which may provide the performance you were missing and that a factory preinstall cheats you out of due to the bloatware and other overhead.

To unlock all versions to access Starter, download the eicfg removal tool and run it on the Home Premium 32 bit installer ISO provided in Step 1, then burn to DVD or flash stick using tool in Step 2. Follow the steps closely to make sure you get a perfect install, deleting all partitions using the Drive Options in Steps 7/8 of Clean Install Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/299291-installed-linux-now-cant-install-windows-asus-laptop.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,

I am having a problem. I have just finished installing Linux Mint. I seem to not have any sound in Firefox. I can get rhythm box to play and I hear all my songs, but I don't have any sound coming from Firefox. I do have the latest version of Flash installed. If anyone has some ideas that would be wonderful.

Cheers!

A:[SOLVED] No sound in firefox on Linux Mint

Where is the solution? :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/solved-no-sound-in-firefox-on-linux-mint-381217.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I want to try Linux Mint Cinnamon from a USB drive I created but struggle after pressing F10 and entering ?BIOS-its very unlike BIOS on my old WIN 7 desktop, any help at all would be great! I am a bit technophobe I am afraid. Thanks for reading.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/I-want-to-try-Linux-Mint-Cinnamon-from-a-USB-drive-I-created/td-p/5617276
Relevancy 69.66%

Okay, I have two socket 939 machines with XP collecting dust. Nevertheless they are quite stable and more than meets the requirements to run any version of Linux.

One has four gigs of RAM and the other two and both processors are AMD. I was wondering what you think of Mint and if there is another version of Linux you would recommend for the beginner.

Keep this in mind: When it comes to Linux I am a complete NOOB. So the more user friendly the better because I am clueless.

Linux has been something I have always been curious about and wanted to give it a go. Plus I am bored. I need to learn something new and it seems a waste to leave 2 very serviceable machines go to waste.

Thanks.

A:Thinking of Trying Linux Mint 16 Cinnemon on Old Systems

Linux mint is the right choice for beginners. CPU spec and amount of installed RAM sounds reasonable, can you please provide a little more information about installed GPU model? And are they using an AGP slot or a new PCI-Express one?

If your GPU is an AGP based AMD/ATI card, there is a very low chance to get graphics drivers working and have a smooth desktop and video playback experience. However you can use the machine as a glorious type writer, music player or a small home server which might overheat due to bad GPU drivers.

If that's a PCI-Express based AMD/ATI card, you are lucky and you can use it for daily work and casual gaming as a bonus. For the best AMD Linux experience (Hardware accelerated FullHD video playback and serious gaming) you will need to install a RadeonHD5000+ card.

For NVIDIA cards it should just work outside of the box once you install their proprietary graphics drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thinking-of-trying-linux-mint-16-cinnemon-on-old-systems.201533/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,after a factory reset that i did on my laptop everything kept going wrong,i kind of destroyed the factory reset copy/windows 7 copy and now i have windows 10. Now,windows 10,my pc shuts downs on its own(there is no malware) i keep getting this messaging followed with a black screen "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".The same was and after the factory reset.Also when i set my laptop to maximum performance it will get stack on a flashing srcreen while booting giving me an error.So i decided to change to another OS. Summing up,i came here hoping for your help with how to change from windows 10 to linux on my laptop model and if you also could make some suggestions about the following problems that have occured,thanks. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-change-OS-on-G72-b10SV-Windows10-to-Linux-mint/td-p/5664499
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi, I just bought an ES1-311-C82S - version without OS - and installed Linux Mint 17.3 in Legacy mode successfully. Most things are working out of the box but there's one really annoying issue: the system doesn't shut down correctly. It seems like the shut down process works well but then the laptop doesn't turn off so I have to do that manually. I checked the BIOS and the current version 1.11 seems to be up to date. Unfortunately there are very few options in the BIOS, so I think I have to enable some kind of advanced settings if possibel. (But I think it's better to open a new topic on this issue.) I've already disabled the splash screen but that doesn't work either. Another solution I've found is to force ACPI - but can't do that in the BIOS with the limited settings.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/ES1-311-C82S-with-Linux-Mint-17-3-doesn-t-shut-down-correctly/td-p/434776/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 69.66%

The only thing I miss about Windows is the paint program, is there a way I can download that program somewhere? I have wine-doors so can I install it still?

A:Solved: Microsoft paint on Linux mint 8?

Might look into this...
http://www.koffice.org/krita/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-microsoft-paint-on-linux-mint-8.895030/
Relevancy 69.66%

Guys I am really screwed I used to dual boot Linux Mint and Windows Professional on my laptop then I decide to get rid of Mint Grub Linux was my default bootloader then not the Windows one So I deleted the Mint partition using computer management from Windows ' Control Panel and reinstalled the Windows bootloader using EasyCD before I restarted my laptop Upon restart everything was fine then I proceeded to wipe out the unallocated space that Min used to occupy using Partition Wizard Home Edition I keep Linux Urgent! to and tried uninstall Mint Window In order to do so I had to restart my machine so Partition Wizard can start wiping out the Urgent! I tried to uninstall Linux Mint and keep Window unallocated space Everything seemed to be fine until my laptop restarted again It went into directly into Windows and then the error message occurs pwNative not found - skipping autocheck autochek not found - skipping autocheck Then it was BSOD I tried running the startup recovery tool which was unsuccessful including running the commands quot bootrec exe fixmbr quot followed by quot bootrec exe fixboot quot I tried everything possible way I could think of still no luck The Windows DVD that I made from the media I downloaded from MSDNAA is apparently not bootable Urgent! I tried to uninstall Linux Mint and keep Window since Urgent! I tried to uninstall Linux Mint and keep Window I couldn't get it to start at startup to perform a clean install The only option I have left is a Vista DVD that I had made before which would take hours to install not to mention the time that I have to spend to install Windows once I have Vista Having said that I am currently typing in another Linux distro and I can see that my Gig of Windows ntfs partition is still intact How do I fix this Please help Thank you

A:Urgent! I tried to uninstall Linux Mint and keep Window

Why didn't you format the unallocated space?

Could you attach a screen shot of Disk management?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/40962-urgent-i-tried-uninstall-linux-mint-keep-window.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I've got a Windows 7 running, but I'm trying to install a Linux Mint on this Laptop. Yes, it should bootup automatically, but it's not. I'm new to 7, so I'm having dificulty even getting to find BIOS. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

xico

A:Difficulty installing Linux Mint on my Laptop

Getting to the BIOS has nothing to do with the version of Windows installed. The initial boot screen should tell you what key to press to enter the BIOS or Setup.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/difficulty-installing-linux-mint-on-my-laptop.908203/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi I have two Windows pcs on a home network I also have Linux Mint on a laptop I have installed samba and have attempted to share folders from the Windows machines to the laptop All machines have the same workgroup Linux to Networking folders shared W8.1 from Mint name and are on the same subnet I am not very literate concerning networking so please keep responses simple I can see all the windows machines from my LM laptop when I click 'Network folder' from the linux Networking shared folders from W8.1 to Linux Mint equivalent of Windows Explorer nemo When I click on a specific windows machines from nemo a dialog box opens asking for Username Domain and Password Now I'm not sure which username and password this is asking for Using my username on Linux Mint tim in the Username box the workgroup name in the Domain box and the Windows password in the Password box I'm able to access shared folders on one Windows machine However I cannot gain access to the other machine My password gets rejected every time Both Windows machines are logged in with the same Microsoft Networking shared folders from W8.1 to Linux Mint account so the password on both machines is the same Both Windows machines have sharing enabled and are members of the same windows homegroup Both Windows machines have no problem accessing shared folders on each other and can access the shared folders on the LM laptop The only problem is I cannot gain access to one of the Windows machines from the Laptop Both Windows machines have Bitdefender Internet Security both configured the same I have tried turning off the firewall completely on both the laptop and the unfriendly windows machine but still I cannot connect Could someone please confirm if I am using the password dialog box correctly Is the username supposed to be the LM username and the password supposed to be the windows password Since this worked for me on one of the machines I would expect it to have worked for both I am asking for help on a Linux Mint forum as well as here Perhaps there is some special permissions I need to set on W Thanks Tim New Zealand

A:Networking shared folders from W8.1 to Linux Mint

You need to use the workgroup name "WORKGROUP" to get SMB/CFS to work. Most likely it is the Firewall for Bitdefender that may be causing the problem. Try disabling Bitdefender and see if it works. Personally I have found Xubuntu works better then Linux Mint did.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/46562-networking-shared-folders-w8-1-linux-mint.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I have windows home premium dual booting with Linux Mint on a Dell XPS M When I shut down linux mint and go back into windows I have the following problem Upon the windows desktop appearing I am able to type or use the keyboard as usual-until I touch the touchpad on my laptop After I touch the touchpad even for just the slightest second I am unable to type anything For example if I launch the start menu and then try to type to find a file nothing will happen The only way for me to get by this is to reboot the computer again So essentially I have to reboot twice in order to get a working keyboard with Windows after being in Mint Linux won't after booting from work Keyboard linux This problem Keyboard won't work after booting from Linux Mint does not happen if I stay in Windows and reboot windows repeatedly I tested it by reinstalling windows and having it as the only OS for about a week I tried the following workarounds using the Dell support software to disable the touchpad when a mouse is present I tried reinstalling the touchpad driver Nothing has worked Alps electric is the touchpad manufacturer I asked this question on the ubuntu forums and got back the answer that windows doesn't like the other OS on there and upon reboot gets confused or sees things are in a different state I was also told that Windows uses a HID device for the keyboard and Linux does not Very annoying problem and I doubt there is a fix for it but please help if you can

Relevancy 69.23%

Hello everybody,
I got windows 7 64 bits since more 2 years , i activated it .

Recently i changed my hardware for a new graphics card, but i didn't notice anything about a message.
But now , i just installed the latest fedora with grub multi-boot, and now my windows 7 is not genuine ?!?

The linux partition is on a the same disk a windows system itself and the boot .

???

A:Windows 7 64bits error 7601 not genuine after linux installed ?!?

Windows 7, you have is genuine?
Take Care

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/215132-windows-7-64bits-error-7601-not-genuine-after-linux-installed.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Dear all,

my mum has Asus F5RL series notebook and she uses a LAN router connected to the internet. I borrowed the PC when I needed to connect to the wireless internet during one lecture. When I got back the system reported that "The Network Cable is Unplugged". The led light indicating "PC" connection on the router was blank.

I seemed strange so I booted up Linux Mint LXDE from the USD stick ON THE SAME PC. After it booted the LAN connection worked flawlessly and the led light indicating PC connetcion was nicely green.

Please could you help me with this? I have already tried to disable wireless adapter, to disable IPv6, I ve tried various full/half duplex regimes, wake up on/off, reinstalling drives etc. Nothing worked.

Kind Regards,

Adam

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/289959-network-cable-unplugged-but-lan-works-linux-mint-usb-same-pc.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Basically it corrupt it....only thing the board will post is Memory, Bios Version, Cpu and move into shell 2.11 <--whatever this is??

Look out guys, I tried it and got spanked and laughed at for even trying. My gift for trying Linux was a board that is rendered useless!

A:Linux Mint 18 will destroy your UF bios on MSI 990fx-gd65v2

So you get into the shell for linux... whats the issue? I would change boot option to a usb and wipe the drive and start over.

https://hardforum.com/threads/linux-mint-18-will-destroy-your-uf-bios-on-msi-990fx-gd65v2.1914833/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I have buy my new laptop HP 15-ac 122tu now i have installed linux mint on my system. But I am facing WIFI issue it's not working on my system. Please tell what i should do. Does it need driver or extra.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/15-AC-122tu-laptop-WIFI-not-working-on-OS-linux-mint/td-p/5724152
Relevancy 68.8%

i did it
"Go to about:config in Firefox & make sure that both media.mediasource.mp4.enabled and media.mediasource.webm.enabled are set to true."
but i can't to get quality of 1080p hd, only until 720p, in  browser googel chrome, i get 1080P,
how to fix it in firefox?
thanks.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587748/quality-of-1080p-hd-in-browzer-firefox-via-os-linux-mint-32-bit/
Relevancy 68.8%

I have an IdeaCentre K e computer that came with Windows set up for nbsp UEFI boot I just did a full install of Linux Mint on a second disk with the Windows disk unplugged and when I rebooted with the windows disk still disconnected I get No OS found So I looked around a bit and found the boot-repair-disk thing It was suggested that if I was using UEFI boot that I should put the boot-repair-disk iso on a live USB key So I made a bootable USB key with unetbootin and the repair-boot-disk iso I also had tried rufus first but that had Create a bootable disk using stippled out for some reason so I couldn't use that At any rate when I tried to boot from the USB key again No OS found comput... with Mint on K450e Linux booting Problem 18 I'd really like to use Linux Mint but it looks like I'm not going to be able to boot it or fix whatever's broken about the boot at this point Has anyone been successful at installing Linux Mint on the K e What did you do to get it to boot I Problem with booting Linux Mint 18 on K450e comput... haven't been able to get anything to boot yet on this computer other than Windows And any advice on how to make a bootable boot-repair-disk live usb key to fix this Or any other way that I can fix it I've been trying both legacy and UEFI booting every time I try to boot with either my Linux Mint install or the boot-repair-disk USB key This has me mystified Looks like the only way that I'm going to be able to run Linux is to run Windows and use a Linux VM not what I'm looking for nbsp Thanks for any help nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/Problem-with-booting-Linux-Mint-18-on-K450e-computer-after/td-p/3366497
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi all
For those that just want a KDE version of Linux Mint 17 QIANA -- it's now available -- I know you can install it from the main distro but there's less hassle in using a properly built KDE version than trying to fit all the bits and pieces together - especially over the top of other GUI's.

(I like KDE - I use it in other distros too - but like all things Linux YOU have a CHOICE !!!).

Works fine as a VM too.

The Linux Mint Blog ? Blog Archive ? Linux Mint 17 ?Qiana? KDE RC released!

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/virtualization/48070-linux-mint-users-kde-version-qiana-released.html
Relevancy 68.37%

There are a few types of superuser elevation prompts that hangs Mint machine Linux temporarily Superuser prompt on appear and I apologise for not knowing their proper names All of them appear and operated as directed EXCEPT the one that appears with the darkened desktop which hangs my machine for well over a minute before the prompt appears and everything runs as normal By hangs the loading circle goes into slow motion and the mouse is still active but nothing can be clicked on or interacted with The quot Authenticate quot elevation dialogue Superuser prompt on Linux Mint temporarily hangs machine appears exactly as designed and any sudo commands Superuser prompt on Linux Mint temporarily hangs machine in terminal operates as it should but the other prompt will hang the machine every time And interesting example If I go into the menu and click on Synaptic the Authenticate dialogue will appear straight away and the program operates as normal But if I run gksudo synaptic it sends my machine into one minute limbo I did a fresh reinstall of the distro to the same effect Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/superuser-prompt-on-linux-mint-temporarily-hangs-machine.201020/
Relevancy 68.37%

Today I have noticed that when visiting certain sites I get popups telling me my Java version is outdated, which redirect me to an extremely shady site that looks like this and prompts me to download what I assume is malware:

My first thought was that I have a virus, except I'm using Linux, not Windows, so the executable it wants me to download isn't even compatible with my OS. Nonetheless, something malicious has clearly gotten into my system, and I'm curious how, as well as why it seems to trigger on certain sites. I am running 64-bit Linux Mint 14 with a Linux 3.5.0-17 kernel (I know it's outdated; could this be the problem?) with Chrome Version 29.0.1547.76. What can i do on my system to diagnose and remove whatever this is? Thanks!

A:"Outdated Java Plugin Detected" with Linux Mint and Chrome

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/544587 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/544587/outdated-java-plugin-detected-with-linux-mint-and-chrome/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi I have done a boot but linux problem installation to no windows fresh of with boot fails full installation from an original disk while keeping one partition of old data I have tried both a and a editions from an earlier computer I had Both went OK but when the computer reboot after the first phase of the configuration they fresh installation of windows fails to boot but linux boot with no problem both failed to boot after the POST phase I have tried to install Ubuntu and it booted successfully and also showed me the option of starting the windows installation which again failed to boot I have DELL laptop Inspiron and using its diagnostic tools it showed that all components are OK I am interested to know if it is possible that the problem is due to bad cd drive as it is making some noises bad memory as I had installed by mistake wrong memory and fixed this once I understoof it is causing some problems bad harddisk although I had no indication so far there is some problem with it I wanted to ask then why linux installed with no problem and to finish this query I have noticed it is possible to install from a USB stick to bypass problem but I dont have windows osx and ubuntu only is there a way to create a bootable windows installation USB stick using a mac or linux Thanks and best regards Tomer

A:fresh installation of windows fails to boot but linux boot with no problem

Your confusing to say the least.
The correct way to dual boot Window/Linux is to Install Windows 1st(Always) using all the drive. Then install Linux. All Linux versions will install a Boot manager so as you can then select whichever OS you desire. There are other ways but for someone like you that is the easiest.
Linux will install to a drive that Windows won't, Windows is very particular as to the disk surface, any little fault and it will refuse to install.
May I suggest you look at Puppy Linux 4.1. very, very fast and great for Wireless.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fresh-installation-of-windows-fails-to-boot-but-linux-boot-with-no-problem-320711.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Tried Ubuntu amp didn't like it so wanted to remove it completely After deleting amp recovering that portion of G which is where Ubuntu was installed I couldn't boot in Windows I was able to use my install disk to load into repair The OS it found was- OS -Windows Partition Size - Mb Location - F F struck me odd as I thought this would be C I then when to Command promp amp used Bootrec exe fixmbr enter - then Bootrec exe fixboot enter then restarted The PC booted in Windows amp all seems OK but still wondered if the location was correct I reloaded the install disk as before amp when into repair amp it still says location as F which is my backup drive OK my PC boots but shouldn't the location be C not F After all if F is removed or goes bad I'd Linux boot Windows dual 7 now Uninstalled with OS issue. boot have the Uninstalled Linux OS dual boot with Windows 7 now boot issue. non-boot issue again wouldn't I If so how do I write it to C

A:Uninstalled Linux OS dual boot with Windows 7 now boot issue.

Dual-booting 2 or more Operating Systems can mess up the drive lettering, especially when 1 or more are uninstalled. If Windows is working properly the only issue will be in assuring program installations point to the drive Windows is on. The earlier versions of Windows such as Win98, WinME, etc., were particular as to the drive or partition they were installed on. Part of the situation may be affected by the newer motherboards and HDDs that use SATA connections instead of the older PATA, SATA has only one drive per socket on the board while PATA have one data cable for each socket and can have one or two drives on each cable.

The easiest/less time-consuming way I've found with such an issue is to backup any user data then boot to a GPARTED CD and wipe the HDDs that have or had an OS installed followed by connecting only one HDD for installing the OS then reconnecting the storage drives. Leaving any of the boot files of a previous OS on an HDD can mess up the boot process, sometimes slows things down when booting.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/356254-uninstalled-linux-os-dual-boot-windows-7-now-boot-issue.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi everyone I was experimenting with Elementary OS when it went a little wonky just became unresponsive and features had broken Couldn t really figure out the problem so I just decided to uninstall it I deleted the partitions that it had been installed on and tried to restart into Windows I got a screen much like the one in the attachment below I did some searching on my other computer and found out that GRUB is the bootloader for linux and replaces Windows bootloader when you install it I also found that to restore windows bootloader you re gonna need a windows Solved: boot dual Can't Deleted Linux boot - Recovery disk So I made a recovery disk using my Windows laptop Using a Flash Drive plugged it into my crippled computer booted from the USB followed the instructions that I had accumulated from multiple websites explaining what to do The specific instructions were to go to the command prompt within the recovery disk and type Code bootrec exe fixmbr I also had tried Code bootrec exe fixboot since another site had suggested trying that They both said that the operation was successful I was then told that I should be able to reboot into Solved: Deleted dual boot Linux - Can't boot windows Windows good as new Well I can t I m still getting the same GRUB rescue screen linked above So that s the problem Here s various bits that may be helpful Crippled PC - Windows Pro GB SSD - Solved: Deleted dual boot Linux - Can't boot windows Windows install NOTE When trying to reset it gave me the message saying that the drive with Windows installed was locked and that it needed unlocked in order to reset refresh it TB HD - Just extra storage for Windows TB HD - This is the drive that had the linux partitions about GB was for linux now just unallocated The rest is one partition that contains some backup information NOTE If it makes any difference this was an external HD that I ripped out of its enclosure as the SATA to USB converter card seemed to be going out Other notes The recovery disk was made on my Windows laptop that originally shipped with Windows not it s also just the Basic version not Pro The crippled PC was built with Windows Pro I personally built the crippled PC so there is no recovery partition within it If any other information is required please let me know and thank you for any help Also if this issue was already been presented and fixed please do link it to me I couldn t find any where using these commands didn t work nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guys I am boot Windows Windows dual 8 Black up. 8 installed, Screen! boot won't having an issue when installing the consumer preview So I downloaded the W iso off of Microsoft's site I burned it to a Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! DVD with GB free of storage I even bought a new set of DVDs Anyways I downloaded the iso I downloaded the USB DVD download tool there I burned my iso to the DVD So I then create a partition on my computer I gave the new partition GB of storage I rebooted my computer pressed F and access the burned DVD So I click custom installation and I install the new OS onto the partition with GB I named it the partition Windows so I wouldn't get confused I clicked it and installed Windows onto it Anyways once it extracts the data and installs all Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! the Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen! updates my computer screen goes black for a few seconds Then it load's the fish icon and then goes black It loads nothing and it just stays there I have tried using the startup repair and it cannot fix it I decided to reinstall the OS but format the partition and then install It does the same exact thing Anyways how do I get rid of the black screen Windows won't boot up I allowed a dual boot by the way so I still have windows but I really want to try Windows I followed this guide if anyone was wondering

A:Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

I'm having similar issues with Vista and W8. I put W8 on an empty and freshly created partition.
I can get W8 to run but then on every restart or reboot I can not get back to Vista from the "blue dual boot screen". I select Vista as the OS, the laptop goes to the Acer splash screen and then the screen goes black and the HDD light goes off completely. And that's it. Have to do a forced shutdown holding power button and then on next reboot it will go to Vista.
Fortunately I have full Acronis disk images so I can just revert back to before all this but like you I really want to try W8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/4556-windows-8-dual-boot-installed-windows-8-wont-boot-up-black-screen.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi

I recently felt the urge to experiment with Linux and installed Ubuntu Mint and tried to set up dual booting.

However I seem to have only suceeded in preventing Windows booting at all. I cannot get into the recovery drive to undo my wrong doing.

How can I reset the windows boot manager without access to windows or recovery partitions?

Many thanks in advance from a frustrated fool!

A:Dual Boot Linux preventing Windows boot

Hi there
Try this -- although it says W7 the same mechanism works for W8 / W8.1

uninstall - Removing GRUB from windows system after uninstalling Ubuntu from Windows 7 - Ask Ubuntu

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/49811-dual-boot-linux-preventing-windows-boot.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hello!
I've got Windows 7 installed and would like to set up a dual boot system with an Ubuntu 9.04. However, I would like to use the Windows 7 boot loader instead of GRUB. How can I do that? Thanks in advance.

A:Linux Dual Boot System Using the Windows 7 Boot MGR

See if this thread from today helps: Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/84739-linux-dual-boot-system-using-windows-7-boot-mgr.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a PC with 2 hard drives- the first hard drive has a single partition and windows 7 64-bit is installed on this hard disk.

Now I wish to install CentOS 6 on the first partition of the second hard disk.

I have created the dvd for installing Cent OS also.

How do I configure the boot loader in Windows? If I install Linux on second hard disk, will this overwrite the Windows Boot Loader? How do I create a dual boot system so that the windows boot loader correctly shows linux as an option, so that I am able to load either Windows 7 (existing) or Linux(on second hard disk- not yet installed).

Thanks,
Arvind.

A:windows7 installed-how to setup partitions/boot loader to install linux on second hdd

This Easy BCD tool is best to multi-boot with the windows boot manager; http://neosmart.net/download.php?id=1, it has options to add in one or more Linux with your windows boot menu, also see this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EasyBCD , or for the home page of that boot tool; http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows7-installed-how-to-setup-partitions-boot-loader-to-install-linux-on-second-hdd.1026503/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi guys

Just i want to know is there any option to boot windows 7 vhd in any linux os.

Right now i am using ubuntu. Just curious to know about booting WIN 7 vhd in ubuntu,

Thanks in advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-windows-in-any-linux-os.1131481/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi all currently boot windows 7 ultimate and 8.1 as a duel boot through BCD 2.2 (with win 7 the main boot) hoping to upgrade 8.1 to ten later on this year we see, but also want to add Linux can I just add the grub in bcd and then connect my all ready installed Linuxmint 16 cinnamon hard drive (that's already installed to) to my configuration, or would I be better reformatting that hard drive and using a iso to install to it ... also my Linux is fairly old is there a new one ? u would recomend

A:dual boot windows linux

The latest Mint is 17.1 Rebecca - Editions for Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" - Linux Mint

I would recommend to put Mint into a virtual partition. Messing around with the Grub for the Windows systems is no fun. Here is how.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/365356-dual-boot-windows-linux.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello TSF, I've been using Ubuntu a lot recently, and it automatically added itself to the Windows Boot Manager when I installed it via its .exe install file. But now I want to expand my horizons a little bit. I've only ever used Ubuntu, and I want to try something else, like Fedora.

My question is how would I install it in a way that would allow me to choose on start up if I wanted to boot Windows or Fedora.

I really haven't done much technical stuff on Windows (I'm just a Java developer) so I don't really know how to do this, but I can understand complex ideas, so if it gets technical you'd just have to walk me through it and I'll understand it.

Thank you!
Crockeo - The Java Programmer

EDIT: Just so you know, my Windows Supporter status is just because I was helping some people in this forum with a BSoD program.

A:Using Windows Boot Manager and Linux

*you have other partitions?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/using-windows-boot-manager-and-linux-600769.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I installed a linux CD on a second harddrive. Now 8.1 will not boot. I can log in but then the screen flashes loads icons, flashes.

It is unusable. Help please.

Safe mode works

A:Windows 8.1 will not boot after installing Linux 10 CD HD2

It is because Grub is the main Boot Loader. If you want both to run, you will need to see the following instructions. How to Configure the GRUB2 Boot Loader Also see Set Windows as Default OS when Dual Booting Ubuntu

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/69840-windows-8-1-will-not-boot-after-installing-linux-10-cd-hd2.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Good morning (wonderful community!),
I would ask you which one is the tool you suggest to manage the bootloading on a system with aboard Windows 10 and maui OS (Linux distro).
When I installed the Linux distro, it disabled the Windows bootloader then I had to restore it in the way below:
BOOTREC /SCANOS
BOOTREC /FIXMBR
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD
bcdedit /enum

now I am in Windows but I lost the access to the Linux partition... how can I have both and select which one at the start-up?

Cheers,

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/boot-manager-for-windows-10-and-linux.308593/
Relevancy 64.5%

I want to install linux (any version of it) on my already-win10-installed laptop. But I'm afraid later the driver won't work (e.g. the trackpad won't work, or maybe the keyboard) once I dualboot my laptop with linux.Is it safe to dualboot my laptop with linux? If so, would you please send me a website link with the best walkthrough to make those above happen? Thanks.

A:dual boot windows 10 and linux

Hello Bill468 The HP forum does not support other products / software.But Linux and all the various varieties have a wide community that offers support.You would do best to ask them for help with dual booting. With that said, if you want to test a certain flavor of Linux on your hardware, one way to do so is to create a bootable USB stick with that OS.Here is an example of doing this for Ubuntu...How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu To be able to make the HP laptop boot from the USB stick, you need to make some changes in the bios. Rapidly tap the F10 key when powering on.Arrow over to System Configuration.Look for Secure boot and disable it.If Legacy is offered, enable it.Save and Exit.The system will ask you to enter a code prior to restart.Enter the code shown. It will not show as you type the numbers and this is normal. Restart the PC again and rapidly tap the F9 key to bring up the boot options list.Now you can select your Linux USB drive and boot it.You can try various versions of Linux this way until you find what you like. Hope that helps. Good luck.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/dual-boot-windows-10-and-linux/td-p/5844265
Relevancy 64.5%

Is there a tutorial here I didn't find so maybe in another place there's a good tutorial on how to be able to install both Linux and Windows on my boot Windows Dual with Linux laptop's hard drive So that when I restart my laptop I will be able to choose from either Windows or Linux I did that once with Windows and I remember I had possibilities Either to be able Dual boot Windows with Linux to choose through a Linux prompt at the startup or through a Windows prompt I tried both options It was either doing it via a Microsoft boot manager or via Linux boot manager or something like that I just can't remember Hope it's clear enough Edit I remember there was some sort of Linux boot manager if you install Linux AFTER Windows and if you then delete Linux completely you had to repair Windows boot loader Or it was the other way i e installing Windows AFTER Linux and then repairing Windows boot loader Thanks

A:Dual boot Windows with Linux

Load of guides on web eg

How To Install Ubuntu Linux Alongside Windows 10 (UEFI) Everyday Linux User

Main thing is to install Windows 10 first, then Linux.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/39232-dual-boot-windows-linux.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I recently got a new computer with Windows Professional bit installed on C Everything worked great and this is what things were like back when everything worked Two MB disks in a RAID array partitioned into C for Windows and D for data etc The MB partition that W creates was there as well Also a TB disk with two partitions drive letters E and F I then installed Ubuntu Linux in a partition I installing 7 Linux boot Windows after Cannot created on the TB drive to get a dual boot configuration This messed things up - apparently the Linux installer doesn't like RAIDs I cannot boot Windows now I'm attempting to fix the MBR BCD etc and have read Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki and done lots of Googling However I'm not sure how to proceed because the drive letters Cannot boot Windows 7 after installing Linux are now messed up The reason is that when I boot from the Windows installation DVD to repair Windows the RAID i e originally C and D cannot be accessed until I load drivers for the RAID from another DVD Before I do that the partitions on the TB drive show up as C and D as previously mentioned they originally were E and F Once I have loaded the RAID drivers the partitions on the RAID get the letters H the Windows partition originally C G the MB partition that didn't have a drive letter and F originally D In a nutshell RAID C - gt H Windows is installed here RAID D - gt F RAID MB - gt G TB E - gt C TB F - gt D I have tried doing bootrec fixmbr etc but this didn't fix the problem and appears to have created updated a boot BCD file on what's now C was originally E There is another boot BCD on what's currently G the MB partition that originally didn't have a drive letter From the date of the BCDs the one on G seems to be the one that got messed up by the Ubuntu installation How do I get bootrec to fix the correct BCD Do I need to reassign drive letters There is no BCD on the partition where Windows is installed currently H it was C before the mess Is this normal How should I proceed

A:Cannot boot Windows 7 after installing Linux

What a mess. I would say the first order of the day is to get rid of Linux. Apparently the Grub took over. Then resort the drive letters (looks like your G with the MBR is still whole).

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/77332-cannot-boot-windows-7-after-installing-linux.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi, I have a very wierd problem. I have Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP installed on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. For some reason, XP crashed, and would not restart. I got the screen saying that my system config file has got corrupted and that it needs the recovery disc. I inserted the disc, and it just hung after giving the message "windows is now checking your system hardware cofiguration". Windows xp setup cd would not boot, but the driver cd and the bios upgrade, and linux cds boot just fine. I used the Knoppix live cd and backed up all my documents on the windows partition on my fedora partition, and then reformatted my windows ntfs partition to fat32. I tried booting with the Windows xp setup again, and it hangs just like before. I have no clue about what to do next, and I seem to have run out of options. Heeeeelp!! - Svini

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/linux-boots-windows-xp-does-not-boot.476678/
Relevancy 64.5%

I want to know how I should go about creating a dual boot so I can test out a few Linux distributions while still having the option to use Windows XP. Is it a different process for different distros? I have my hard drive all set up with a partition ready and waiting for LInux.

Any help would be much appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-linux-dual-boot.275530/
Relevancy 64.5%

I installed linux and when I boot up it automatically goes to Linux and wont go to Windoxs XP.
It doesnt even give windows as an option to use.
So then I read online that I only needed one partition so I deleted my E partition 2.
Now linux nor Windows will boot up.
I dont want to reformat my computer, is there anyway I can save my information.

A:Installing Linux not able to boot windows XP

I want to add to that

I am basically just wanting Linux off my computer right now. I am just wanting to be able to have my Windows OS like it was.
I typed in fixmbr under recovery and now its not doing anything.
It wont boot up at all.. before it would boot up into Linux. But I didnt know how to get into my Windows OS.
Now what can I do??
Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-linux-not-able-to-boot-windows-xp.34636/
Relevancy 64.5%

I recently removed ubuntu to install windows 7. However, even if my Windows USB detectes my ssd in order to install my OS in it, it does not boot from this disk after the installation finishes (after the step: windows will now restart to finish installation). It takes me again to the initial instalation screen of windows.

I used the commands fixboot and fixmbr to recover the boot to windows again, but the problem still exists. However, when I try to install Linux again, everything works perfectly.

Is this a bios problem? How could I fix it?

A:Windows 7 does not boot after removing Linux

Did you install win7 from a usb stick (or external hdd drive)?
Did you detach the install media when doing the reboot? Please detach it .. so it (tries to) boots from SSD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/362755-windows-7-does-not-boot-after-removing-linux.html