Windows Support Forum

T410 Ultra Bay For 2nd Hard Drive

Q: T410 Ultra Bay For 2nd Hard Drive

There are ultra bay adapters for the T410, as well as many other T-series laptops so you can install a 2nd hard drive in place of the CD or DVD drive. I have the adapter and drive but for some reason the computer doesn't recognize the drive in the bay. You can hear the drive attempt to power on and spin but after it boots there isn't any sign of the drive. Are there some steps I'm missing, something I need to change? I just updated to a 240GB SSD, so the 2nd drive is the OEM 250GB HDD it does still have the OS installed, which would be wiped if I could just get the drive to load so I could format it and use it as a storage drive. I'm running Windows 10 64bit.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T410-Ultra-Bay-For-2nd-Hard-Drive/td-p/3334989
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: T410 Ultra Bay For 2nd Hard Drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 66.22%

Anyone know about Ultra Hard Drive Enclosures? I planned to get this one but I wasn't sure how well it worked, quality, etc.

Relevancy 66.22%

What is the diff between the two drives and is it possible to use a Ultra drive on a Laptop that says it has an interface of ATA/1oo

Plus I know that someone said in one of the forums to go with the 7200 RPM
but looking at the Warranty and the cost has turned me to look at the Seagate 5400 RPM drives any Pros or Cons
thank you for any suggestions
I will be ordering this evening
Again thank you
Joe B

Relevancy 65.79%

I wondered if anybody knows what brand of hard drive fits the little ultra slim CD7800 HP desktop PC?Any idea exact spefication on brand that fits.  I am talking about after you install, the operation system (to be a Windows) recognizes the hard drive.Thanks

A:Hard Drive for HP ultra slim 7800

Hi: According to the quickspecs at the link below (page 13), your PC uses a 2.5" notebook hard drive. http://www.bbt.si/modules/uploader/uploads/s_product/file/hp-dc7800_copy2.pdf I highly recommend you get a SATA II hard drive and not a SATA III one because your PC may have drive controller issues if you install a SATA III hard drive as referenced in this document below. http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=3718645&docId=emr_na-c02711513&lang=en&c... I have the dc7800 CMT and when I replaced the SATA II hard drive with a SATA III one, my PC had the 1st 2 symptoms listed in the support document.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Drive-for-HP-ultra-slim-7800/td-p/5621472
Relevancy 65.79%

I have an IBM xSeries 342 server with 3x36gig hardrives and a 4LX Raid controller.

I want to add 3x76gig hard drives to it using an IBM Ultra 160 media kit /w cage.

I also want to install Windows 2003 server on it.

The server itself will not find all of the hard drives. It finds 2 new ones (76gig) but no the 3rd. It also cannot find the 3 existing servers. I found the manual to make sure everything is hooked up correctly from the cable stand point.

I am using a repeater plate with the 76s.

Can anyone help resolve this issue?

A:Adding Ultra 160 hard drive kit to xSeries 342

The SCSI drive had to new of firmware on it. I found a card with an older version and used that. This issue can be closed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-ultra-160-hard-drive-kit-to-xseries-342.425269/
Relevancy 65.79%

Does anyone know if I can upgrade my Compaq Presario Hard drive to 80GB Ultra ATA/133 @7200RPM? I'm running out of Hard drive space and constantly get a message saying that I have little space left. I have to constantly defrag my system and erase most of what I download off the internet. My computer is old and I think it only has about 30GB which most of my software takes up. I'm looking to turn my computer into a modern computer by updating my hard drive. Everything else works fine. I have great speed and hardly ever run into problems so I'm not looking to replace my computer just update it.

Thanks,

Jasmine

A:Can I upgrade my HD to 80GB ultra ata/133 hard drive?

That upgrade should be just fine, seeing as you already have support for 30GB hard drives, then 80GB will also work. You'll only have problems (depends on your system, which you haven't supplied details on) if you decide to go above 137GB, as that would require an ATA133 controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-upgrade-my-hd-to-80gb-ultra-ata-133-hard-drive.6291/
Relevancy 64.93%

I forgot the password. How I can unlock the hard disk? Is there any way that I can unlock it without losing my data.message edited by kushalks

A:I forgot password for WD My Passport ultra hard drive

For a password to be effective it is made deliberately hard to crack, unless you spend loads of money on it (as the FBI would). We don't hack on here.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/security/i-forgot-password-for-wd-my-passport-ultra-hard-drive/40212.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I've got a Ultra USB Hard Drive Enclosure which worked just fine (and still does) on my XP computer. It is not recognized by Vista x64 on my new computer. Ultra insists it works in x64 and that I should call Microsoft. Before I try contacting MS I figured I'd try here first.

Screenshots @ Flickr: Search Travelin' Librarian's photostream

Thanks!
Michael

A:Ultra USB Hard Drive Enclosure driver fail

Ultra pointed me to Microsoft. Microsoft pointed me back to Ultra. Ultra them pointed me to the chipset manufacturer who doesn't supply end-user support. In the end I tried a Firewire cable and the drive now works fine. Whatever.

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/178759-ultra-usb-hard-drive-enclosure-driver-fail.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have just ordered a WD My Passport Ultra Slim Portable Hard Drive - 1 TB, Titanium.
To back up my large collection of photos and family videos.
My question is how easy is it to use the included back up programming? Will it be reliable?
Also what kind of format is the back up?
This is all new to me.

Relevancy 64.07%

I bought a Maxtor Ultra ATA internal hard drive, and want to install it as a backup drive in my HP m1170n. However, the m1170n requires an SATA hard drive. Is there a converter, adapter, etc. that I can buy to make the Ultra ATA compatible with the m1170n? Please provide specific model numbers for any suggestions, if possible. Also, please advise about how much it should cost and if it is easy to install. Many thanks.

Relevancy 63.64%

worked fine for a few days, moving files and adding new ones. then i used norton ghost to clone my main hard drive to the new maxtor. after reboot the system was VERY SLOW to boot and run programs, and i noticed a clicking sound from the new drive.

the drive is a maxtor ultra sata, and i used the maxtor sata/150 pci card to connect the drive.

any suggestions on what went wrong?

i uninstalled norton ghost and also reformatted the new maxtor drive, but the computer is still slow when it is connected. when i disconnect the drive, my computer runs fine.

any help / or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. and hope everyone had a safe holiday weekend

regards,

jOe

A:..a few days after install of Maxtor Ultra SATA 160GB Hard Drive...

Hi and welcome. Clicking sounds and hard drives are always bad news.

You might download the drive diagnostics from Maxtor's website, if you didn't get a floppy or cdrom with the drive. Test the drive and see what error reports pop up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-few-days-after-install-of-maxtor-ultra-sata-160gb-hard-drive.234464/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello, Model: 2522-DM1 I'm looking for new hard drive for upgrading my exisitng 320GB HDD but i have one question thatwhat will be the maximum hard drive capacity support in my system?? In lenovo site it has mention max 500GB HDD and 250GB SSD but when i go through forum and other online utility where it has mention that it can support upto 1TB HDD,SSHD and SSD. see below linkhttp://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for//thinkpad-t410-series someone please clarify this.. if 1TB is supported then i would intereset in seagate SSHD 1TB 32GB NAND (P/N:ST1000LX001) and also i have seen Toshiba SSHD which is also good but i need expert's suggstion on this.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T410-Hard-disk-upgrade/td-p/3371277
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi all =). I'm getting a computer made with a 450w power supply. I'm getting a Geforce 6800 Ultra at least, but the company recommends a 480w supply for this card. I've heard of people having problems with their power supply not being able to cope with this card, but I don't know exactly at what power their power supplies ran. Will I run into any problems with the power supply I'm getting, or should I upgrade to 480w or more?

Don't know if you need this information also, but I think this may also effect my power supply:

Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard
Athlon 64 3400+
1.5 GB pc3200 DDR Ram
120 GB HDD

Also heard that AMD uses less power than Intel or something...sooo I was thinking that perhaps my graphics card will not be affected as much because of this...but dunno. Help would be greatly appreciated =D.

A:Regarding Geforce 6800 Ultra, Ultra Extreme, or Asus v9999 Ultra Deluxe

One, Use a title once.

Two, nope nVIDIA GeForce 6800 families or newer REQUIRES 480w of psu minimum, PERIOD. it is not matter how much watts amd or intel uses, what you means that you must have 480w or higher to have GF 6800 working properly.

Recommendation, get ATI Radeon 9600XT or 9800XT, they merely used up less than 350w.

Lucan

You will get better games or things out of ATI instead of nVIDIA due to power usages

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/regarding-geforce-6800-ultra-ultra-extreme-or-asus-v9999-ultra-deluxe.23194/
Relevancy 51.17%

I currently have two ultra ATA hard drives installed in my PC. I want to replace one of them as I need more storage space. Do I have to get an Ultra ATA drive? Is that what my IDE cable will be rated for?

Relevancy 50.74%

well i ve had this computer for about two years now and up until this point it has been rather sluggish especially when it comes to hard drive access I attributed the poor performance to the fact that my hard drive had a bunch of stuff on it and that it was fragmented well this past weekend i pretty much quot cleaned house and settings Retarded DMA Ultra Hard drives quot and removed all unnecessary programs and games and then i defragged the hard drive using O amp O software s program Well i assumed that this would perhaps speed up my performance considerably but i recently bought Battlefield and i Retarded Hard drives and Ultra DMA settings installed after having quot cleaned quot up I was looking forward to playing with this newfound performance boost but i was disappointed when the map took minutes and seconds to load i timed it i figured maybe it was a fluke so i restarted and tried again Low and behold this time it loaded at a blazing minutes and seconds i then turned to this website and read some posts about PIO modes and whatnot and sure enough Retarded Hard drives and Ultra DMA settings this was problem I uninstalled the Primary and secondary ide controllers rebooted and my windows boot up time as Retarded Hard drives and Ultra DMA settings well as the battlefield map loading times were considerably faster Unfortunately using a program called HD Tune i benchmarked my drives and noticed that they had transfer rates of about MB s I felt this was kind of low and this program confirmed my suspicions The program as well as manufacturer s specs list that all my drives are capable of UDMA mode well so i installed the newest version of my chipset drivers intel i p and still nothing so i turned to the BIOS So here s where the fun begins When i look in the BIOS under the hard drive section i forget exactly what its called it has the specs of the different hard drives hooked up to my machine for all the drives it lists that they are only capable of speeds up to UDMA- returning to windows using HD Tune i am able to verify that the drives were quot active quot at UDMA- but capable of much more so my question is sorry for the long post why does my BIOS recognize the drives as only being capable of UDMA- when i know for a fact that they are capable of UDMA- and UDMA- one of the drives and how can i perhaps fix this Here is my setup ASUS p c deluxe mainboard Western Digital WD BB- FRA Information Firmware version W Serial number WD-WMAJD Capacity GB GB Buffer size KB Standard ATA ATAPI- Supported mode UDMA Mode Ultra ATA Current mode UDMA Mode Ultra ATA Maxtor Y P Information Firmware version YAR BW Serial number Y JJG HE Capacity GB GB Buffer size KB Standard ATA ATAPI- Supported mode UDMA Mode Ultra ATA Current mode UDMA Mode Ultra ATA Maxtor H Information Firmware version JAC HU Serial number F GXPJC Capacity GB GB Buffer size KB Standard ATA ATAPI- Supported mode UDMA Mode Ultra ATA Current mode UDMA Mode Ultra ATA I have these three hard drives as well as a pioneer DVD burner hooked up to the two IDE channels in the following manner PRIMARY IDE Master DVD burner Slave Maxtor Y P SECONDARY IDE Master Maxtor H Slave Western Digital WD BB Thanks for reading my long- post peace iNsOMniAtiC nbsp

Relevancy 49.88%

I recently bought a external hard disk of WD (My Passport Ultra) 1TB. It was working fine untill now. Now there is a problem going on. I have used only 656GB of space but it now show that I have only 4GB of storage left. Earlier it was showing 257 GB of space left from 913GB but now it shows the above. I can't understand what is the problem. If anybody could guide me it would an immense help. Thank you.

Bodhiswattwa Tewari
[email address removed]

A:Problem With My Passport Ultra external hard disk by WD

Maybe @jobeard could help here. What OS are you running? OS X or Windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-my-passport-ultra-external-hard-disk-by-wd.204228/
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi guys, back after a few months away from this great site/forum.

I have a question regarding the CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard I was searching all over the web but can't seem to find out if this motherboard will support the new AMD 64 X2(dual core) 939 CPU? It says it supports the AMD 64 & 64 FX CPUs, but what about AMD 64 X2(dual core) 939 CPU?

If anyone here can help me out, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

A:CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

Most nForce4 based motherboards support such CPUs but not all of them do so out-of-the-box. Make sure to have a motherboard from the latest production batch. If not, it might be handy to have a single-core to flash the BIOS in case it doesn't want to power up with the dual-core one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/chaintech-vnf4-ultra-socket-939-nvidia-nforce4-ultra-atx-amd-motherboard.35350/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi All,

I have a GE USB plug and play and when I purchased the plug and play I got a cd with the GE USB Ultra Drive for Windows 98 only. My computer is a Windows 95. Can someone help me with how to obtain what I need to make the plug and play work on a Windows 95 computer?

Thanks so much,

Mary

Relevancy 49.02%

Can I put an Ultra ATA hard drive in a laptop that used a SATA hard drive. The reason I want to do this is because a friend's laptop won't boot , not even in safe mode,( imo the hard drive is nackered) and of course there was no backup done.The files are needed. Now of course you'll say why not use Acronis to transfer the files to an external HDD but the problem there is that none of my friends laptops USB ports are working( haven't checked this but I'm assured it is true), so there is now way to connect an ex. HDD to it. What I'm thinkin of doin is putting the HDD into an old laptop of mine and using Acronis to transfer the files to CD or an external hdd.

What ye think? I'm inexperieced with laptops so please be gentle if this is a stupid post.

A:Can I put an Ultra ATA drive in a laptop

It is possible that you might be able to connect an ATA HDD to the buss where the CD/ DVD drive is connected. Whether that is SATA or PATA is anybody's guess.

Although, if the Laptop's HDD is broken, I'm not exactly sure what you think you're going to accomplish by doing so. If it's dead, it's dead, and that would require the drive to be dealt with data recovery methods. Very expensive.

Plan "B" involves running a cable to a desktop from the laptop, and offloading the data that way.

However, dead is dead, be forewarned

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-put-an-ultra-ata-drive-in-a-laptop.144809/
Relevancy 48.59%

Can I adapt or retrofit my compaq Evo D510, which is OEM with ATA/100 interface to take instead a modern 160gb SATA drive? Do I need to add a controller card to really take advantage or is that a wasted effort, not really being in the right place on the system bus?

Relevancy 48.59%

hi people. it's been a while since i first asked a question.
I come here again to ask this question

should I try to buy a gefroce fx 5600 ultra(256 mb), or geforce fx 5700 ultra(128 mb)?
I've heard smth about fx 5700 being unstable, or just simply it sux.

so just to make sure, which one shd I buy?

A:geforce fx 5600 ultra? or 5700 ultra?

the 5600 ultra should be the best value. i would go with it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/geforce-fx-5600-ultra-or-5700-ultra.198732/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a SCSI PCI controller that is ultra 2 and I have found a 36.4GB SCSI hd from HP that is ultra 3. Will the adapter slow the transfer rate of the ultra 3. If so to what degree the controller I have has a sdram slot on it with a 16 MB stick in it . Will it still work If I put a 128MB stick in it?

Relevancy 48.16%

Last night I was using my WD My Passport Ultra connected to my laptop but had performance issues accessing files so disconnected it by pulling the cable out then reconnecting as I have done lots of times in the past Now I am unable to view the drive at all So it appears I have corrupted the partition of the drive by not ejecting properly before disconnecting The drive is full of years of videos documents data pictures and memories that I just cannot afford to lose When I plug it in my OS recognises it with the windows bleep and it is listed in device manager as USB Mass Storage however there is no drive letter mapped through Windows explorer Ultra External WD Corrupted My Passport Drive If I use a different USB cable I get the same and if WD My Passport Ultra External Drive Corrupted I WD My Passport Ultra External Drive Corrupted use a different Win laptop I also get the same so it is definitely the HDD If I run diskpart list I can see it listed as Disk and can select it but it lists as KB If I run Diskpart volume I can only see my onboard HDD Volumes If I select Disk and run list partition it says there are no partitions to show I'm not aware of any diskpart commands similar to chkdsk that I can run against Disk If I check disk management it's listed as Disk unknown and prompts to initialise disk but when I do this it errors Virtual Disk Manager quot The request could not be performed because of an I O device error quot I have downloaded Easeus data recovery Easeus partition manager and MiniTool partition manager and I can't get any of the software to recognise that the USB drive is plugged in It only pickups up my two onboard laptop HDD's I've also downloaded WD Lifeguard Diagnostics which does recognised the USB drive but lists as KB When I run Quick test Extended Test and View Test Result against the drive all quot Pass quot but I still can't access it and it shows as KB and quot not available quot I've tried installing WD Drive Utilities onto my laptop but for some reason it hangs on install or when it says it's finished it's not actually installed I know the data is still on it and I really don't want to format and lose years worth of memories Can anyone recommend a process and piece of software I can use to recover Thanks Grizzly

A:WD My Passport Ultra External Drive Corrupted

Hi grizzlylar,

Welcome to Seven Forums.

Not a good news but then I have to call a spade a spade.

The answer is simple. If no Data recovery software is able to see your drive, no DIY data recovery is possible.

Now I do not want to repeat. Just read this post and you will know the only costly solution/ proposition..

Disk 2 is unkown, not initialized

In your case you have to contact the WD Data Recovery Partners in EMEA region.

( You unknowingly got trapped and locked yourself out, buying a hardware encrypted Western Digital External drive.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/399608-wd-my-passport-ultra-external-drive-corrupted.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello This problem has evaded all solutions offered by me and by my company's technical support I am about on drive inaccessible are .7z Ultra-compressed an files NAS completely to move to a new work computer In order to facilitate this move I wanted to move as many files onto my shared network drive that I have with the company Before I sent them over the company network I thought it would be a good idea to compress them to allow for a quicker transfer and to reduce the use of resources on the shared drive The that end I used zip to compress folders each into their own archive using these settings These are not the standard settings for zip The compression settings that zip defaults to are theses So once all of the files were compressed and ready to go Ultra-compressed .7z files are completely inaccessible on an NAS drive I copied them onto my shared network drive as shown here I then decided to remove the files from my local drive because they would just slow the mandatory company backup process that is required for all laptop moves At this point the only copies of these files now existed on the shared drive they aren't in the recycling Ultra-compressed .7z files are completely inaccessible on an NAS drive bin either Later on I found I needed to access an item that I had stored in one of the archives I went to the P drive and clicked on the archive that contained the file I got this message I then tried to open it with all of the applicable archive programs and got similar error messages Then I tried to copy it from the shared drive back onto my local machine and I got this message This is telling me that I need permission from MYSELF to access MY files I am lyonste I got similar results for all of the other files that used the special compression settings I provided All of these files were accessible on my local machine but once placed onto the shared drive they became untouchable This is where things get interesting I tried compressing another folder WITH STANDARD ZIP COMPRESSION SETTINGS This time the archive was fine I was able to manipulate it on the shared drive and copy it back and forth between machines I have tried other tricks too For example in cmd I tried using robocopy to copy over the archive files to my local machine No luck I'd really like these files back Does anyone know of a way to get these files back onto my local machine

A:Ultra-compressed .7z files are completely inaccessible on an NAS drive

Oh dear, thats one difficult situation you're in. I'll try and help to the best of my abilities.

From what I see, that error message is because you tried to double-click. Have you tried extracting out the data instead?

The errors are also due to permission settings. I see that you're using domain account. So do you have admin rights? Set the permission to your own domain account under the security tab when you right click and choose properties.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/340645-ultra-compressed-7z-files-completely-inaccessible-nas-drive.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Windows 7 64 bit System Specs:

i5-2500k
ASROCK z68 mitx
8gb ram
64gb Crucial M4 boot drive
2tb WD Green Storage

For the past week or so I've been having these issues:

1) The motherboard will not post. When I start up it's just a blank screen (black). If I do a hard power-off and try again, same thing. However, if I do this 3 or 4 times, it will boot up like it has normally for the past year or so.

2) My storage drive has been extremely slow. It's to the point where it can take minutes just to load the thumbnails for a small folder with pictures. It's so slow that I can barely access any data.

(I use antivirus software and always use the web in a sandbox, so I doubt this is any kind of malware)

Any help is greatly appreciated - thank you

A:MB Not Posting Until Fourth Try and Storage Drive Ultra Slow!?

Have you tried another power supply?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mb-not-posting-until-fourth-try-and-storage-drive-ultra-slow.1079758/
Relevancy 47.73%

I have an ultra ut31310 external drive enclosure with a internal hard drive in it.
The drive does not work and the enclosure has two flashing lights flashing on
and off. I have reinstall a different drive in the enclosure and the same thing
happens. Is there any solutions to this problem. I am unsure that I have the
correct externa ac-adapter for this device.

Thank you,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ultra-ut31310-drive-enclosure-w-red-flashing-lights.776340/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have an HP 8000 Elite Ultra Slim running Windows 10.  What size SATA hard drive can I upgrade to?(1tb, 500 gb, less?)

A:Largest SATA drive for HP 8000 elite Ultra Slim

Hi: To use the drive as a boot drive, 2 TB is the max, since the 8000 Elite series does not have a UEFI BIOS. I don't know offhand if the USDT allows for additional HDD's to be used for storage only.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Largest-SATA-drive-for-HP-8000-elite-Ultra-Slim/td-p/5792279
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi
I fitted ADAPTEC SCSI CARD 29160 NMS 64 BIT PCI 160Mb BIOS v.3 .
10 . 0
INTERNAL SCSI LVD ULTRA 160 CABLE
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 18XL ST39236 LWV 68PIN U160 SCSI
all boots up just fine but when partitioning by any method Win98
creates an extra drive duplicating the first partition the duplicate being
listed in Device Manager but not the actual first partition. Also both
partitions can be made accessible eventually but the actual first partition
is shown to be working in "Dos Compatability Mode" in System
Properties. I have tested almost everything and the disk works well.
MAINBOARD ASUSTEK COMPUTER INC P5A-B
CPU AMD-K6-500Mhz
RAM 128Mb
BIOS AWARD SOFTWARE, INC ASUS P5-B ACPI
BIOS REVISION 10/19/99
O.S. WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION 4.10.2222A
More Windows magic ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ultra-160-scsi-disk2-win98-extra-drive-letter.47732/
Relevancy 45.15%

I m amateur pc user Been trying fix problems all week Changed power box due to over heating used AVG amp Superantispyware Keeps asking to reboot and choose boot device and several hints of mysterious behavior inside machine Feels like something is eating it restore&recycle hard 2nd bin&2nd problem,system hard drive vanished, drive Unknown paranoid spirituality Anyone know what s going on Please be gentle with me Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare AWC exeC Program Files x ASUS AASP aaCenter exeC Program Files x SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files x Kontiki KHost exeC Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare Sup SmartRAM exeC Program Files x DT Utilities DT Utilities PC Backup Pro mgCtrl exeC Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exeC Program Files x AVG AVG avgtray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaTray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaServer exeC Windows Integrator exeC Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www facebook com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - Hosts localhostO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO ContributeBHO Class - C DC - - A A- D-C C - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO AskBar BHO - f d - - d - c -aa e ed - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - BHO QFX Software KeyScrambler - B F - A - - E -C B BC E - C Program Files x KeyScrambler KeyScramblerIE dllO - BHO AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files x Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO Google Gears Helper - E FEFE -FBF - AE-BA - CA E FB - C Program Files x Google Google Gears Internet Explorer gears dllO - BHO SmartSelect - F EE -DAA - - - D EE A - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar Contribute Toolbar - BDDE -E A - -B E- B B FC - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - Toolbar Ask Toolbar - d e-fd b- e -b - d b f - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - Toolbar AVG Security Toolbar - CCC A -B CA- -B A - F ... Read more

A:Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313758/unknown-problemsystem-restorerecycle-bin2nd-hard-drive-vanished-2nd-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I am in the process of doing a clean re-install of Windows XP for Home on my PC I have hard drives c gb Maxtor SATA drive - bootable with Windows seeing Hard - Problems, drive new not Bootup Drive hard Help Windows required Options XP existing Windows install d gb Maxtor IDE drive Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options - non bootable data drive g gb Maxtor IDE drive - bootable with the clean install of Windows XP for home on it Windows is not seeing all the sizes quite right yet but I will tackle that when I have solved Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options this major problem that follows If I boot from the C drive - I have no problems at all Windows will see all the different drives as it should do I can access them all and they all work fine When I come to boot the clean install on drive G windows changes the drive letters - G becomes C D remains as D but the gb Maxtor SATA drive isn t Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options seen at all and might as well not exist Disk Management within Windows is no help as it can t see the drive Maxtor software MaxBlast is also no help as it can t see the drive on this install either I have checked and rechecked the BIOS but have pretty much discounted any issues here as it clearly shows all drives and all drives are listed on boot up It s just when Windows kicks in that I have the problem I guess it s a simple setting somewhere but I am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to think what it is - so any ideas would be very gratefully received Thanks in advance and kind regards Stuart nbsp

A:Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options

Hi
This is what I would do to enhance performance and storage strategy:

1. Use the 20g for the os and housekeeping utes such as av, spyware, etc only, nothing else goes on that drive.
2. Use the 160g for apps installs.
3. Use the 200g for data.

This might get you past the bios/firmware/os/drive letter issue and make better use of the drives. The 20 isn't really good for storage anymore, but would be great for an os/system ute drive. It's performance is less than the other drives, but that's ok, most of the os will stay in ram anyway after boot, you won't make any real diff having a faster os drive.
You might want to place a pagefile on each drive so pageing can occur concurrently too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-bootup-problems-help-required-windows-not-seeing-new-hard-drive-options.34935/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a customer s Satellite L D S laptop This was shipped to me by the customer who tried to install Windows XP Pro Vista and none would install He said he tried all installation CDs he had and finally gave up on it and shipped it to me When I got it the partition were deleted so I tried to install Win and when I do doing a custom install I format win can't clean drive find drive hard 7 can't install Solved: or on hard get an error saying the hard drive can t be formatted on disk Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install or it will give an error that no hard drives were found I reset the bios to default and no matter what I do it won t format or find the harddrive I was going to upgrade the bios but the only way I found to upgrade the Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install bios is after windows is installed There is no way to make changes to the bios for settings that would have to do with the hard drive This has a Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive When installing Win I get the normal windows quot windows is starting quot quot Select Language quot quot Select System quot quot Type of install quot quot Custom Install quot quot Delete partitions quot quot New Partitions quot quot Format quot then the error message quot Windows cannot format a partition on disk Error x quot This happens regardless what system I try to install I ve tried two different versions of XP one of Vista and Win and each time a different install CD System Specs AMD Turion TM x Mobile CPU CPU Speed GHz Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive Pioneer DVD-RW DurkD l PM Optical Disk Drive Memory System Bios Version Anyone got any ideas on this laptop so I can get a system installed I checked the bios and there is no settings for a sata drive raid drive or IDE drive so it looks like this version can t be changed Thanks for anyone who can help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-7-cant-find-hard-drive-or-cant-format-hard-drive-on-clean-install.917413/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,
I am trying to move all my files from my computer to my new external hard drive, but whenever I try and move a file over 4 GB in size i get this error message...
"The file is too large for the destination file system"... anyone know how I can get around this so I can move those files over?

A:Problem transfering large file from hard drive to external hard drive

Get ahold of some software that will break up the file into chunks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-transfering-large-file-from-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.105596/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have two laptops, a ThinkPad T30 and a Latitude C840 (they are both working with XP SP2, except the T30 doesn't have a screen). I'd like to move the T30's drive into the C840, but when I do this, the C840 will hang right after the BIOS screen (incl. the XP CD's Press a key to boot off the CD if I tell it to boot from the disc drive first).

My first thought was to try Recovery Console from the XP CD. I can log into the install, and I've already tried fixmbring and fixbooting it. This doesn't help.

This leaves the option of the drivers not being right. I installed the C840 chipset drivers, nothing.

I'd really rather not go on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what'll get things up and running, so can you guys gimme a suggestion?

Thanks!
Ethan

A:Moved hard drive and cannot boot; hard drive accessable from Recovery Console

You can't simple move one drive from one machine to another because the drivers are specific to the hardware. Did you receive recovery CDs for the Latitude? If so, you could use them to "restore" it to its factory default with the new drive. This may actually be on a partition of the hard drive.
As an alternative, you could create an image of the original drive and restore it to the new one using some freeware such as DriveImage XML. To restore the image to the new drive, you'll need to boot to a bootable CD using something like UBCD4WIN and restore the image from somewhere on your network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moved-hard-drive-and-cannot-boot-hard-drive-accessable-from-recovery-console.528901/
Relevancy 44.72%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 44.72%

I had a thread someone drive-question xp hard Solved: drive if win98 windows time?? hard has with earlier and forgot to ask a couple Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time?? of questions I was told I could take a hard drive from a windows computer and the person is buying a new Windows xp so I can hook up the win hard drive as a slave to the new computer with win xp so I can drop and drag or cut and past files that they want off the hard drive put on their new computer Now If their new computer with the win xp on it if there is an ide cable going to the hard drive and nothing else then I can hook up the win hard drive to the same ide cable as a slave and no problem However if the windows xp computer has the hard drive on the ide cable and also the cd-rom then is it ok just to hook up another ide cable to their mother board and hook the hard drive from the windows computer on the end of that ide cable as the master and by turning the computer off and then hooking up the hard drive and then turning the computer back on it should reconize the windows hard drive in my computer right away right If I would have to put the windows hard drive in the new computer on a seperate ide cable is it ok to have it as master cause the hard drive that is already in it would be master to but it would be on a different ide cable I am hoping the new computer just has the hard drive on an ide cable by itself so I can just hook the other one up as a slave and get the files and be done with it How ever if someone could give me a couple or three scenario s with ide cables and hooking this up I would be very much appreciatetive It would be a new computer with windows xp home or pro and wanting to hook up a hard drive from an old computer with windows to get the files off from it Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time??

Yes - you understand it correctly

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-hard-drive-with-win98-hard-drive-question-if-someone-has-time.388045/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey a Hard Drive Drive External an please! 80gb Enclosure, Zune help in Hard Putting guys My Zune gb stopped working a while back It wouldn t charge So I thought I would take Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please! out the hard drive and use it as an external gb hard drive So I bought an quot ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it All appears good with the installation When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on amp the disk starts spinning Then Windows Vista does the whole quot Install new Hardware quot thing and calls it a quot Disk Drive quot and a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot and says hardware is installed and ready for use But the problem is I can t seem to access the drive I can t find it anywhere It doesn t show up as a drive I can use or anything I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn t it couldn t find it either I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it but the Mac doesn t recognize it as anything Back in Vista Using Device Manager Vista notices the drive under the quot Disk Drives quot option as a quot Disk Drive quot and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft since it has the Zune firmware on it but I can t do anything with it And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists I can t reformat it or anything Can anyone help me I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware Is there anyway I can wipe it Please help I have spent hours searching online and can t seem to get anywhere If I have posted this is in the wrong forum I am sorry Thank you Timothy nbsp

A:Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/putting-a-zune-80gb-hard-drive-in-an-external-hard-drive-enclosure-help-please.1009940/
Relevancy 44.72%

Windows XP Professional Service Pack build gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache WDC WD BB- FTA Hard drive GB -- drive s n WD-WMAET rev and Multiple drive clicking, hard drive freezing errors, hard boot R SMART Status Healthy Hard drive Just a few weeks ago my hard drive started clicking and suddenly my system froze The drive wasn't dropped bumped or anything like that It was fairly new as well I was having some issues accessing my files AND I couldn't access the internet through any browsers Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing I was connected could play internet-using games but got no reply from websites I decided to reformat Well that didn't go so well Reformatting did not fix the freezing issue nor did it fix the internet issue I attempted to reformat the partition on C but it Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing simply wouldn't let me Hard drive I pulled out a newish hard drive and formatted it installed my applications and continued on my way Everything was working great until a day later when the hard drive AGAIN froze in the middle of a session and this time I couldn't even boot I was getting a boot error that mentioned not receiving a boot file name I went into the windows repair console and did a chkdsk which turned up Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing a few errors and attempted to recover them I assume I could now boot but random freezing would still take place now and then and EVERY DAY I have to access the repair console due to boot errors Almost every other attempt to boot results in freezing before startup not being able to access the boot file or a blue screen of death So I Hard drive Same things happening I must have reformatted at least times by now and I'm beginning to give strange looks at my motherboard The computer seems to DECIDE when to work and not work When it doesn't boot the hard drive makes a constant clicking noise This next part will sound bad after getting boot errors all day I walked down stairs to find some new hardware When I got back up my cat had knocked the hard drive which was disconnected and outside of the computer onto the wooden floor It's a foot drop so I was getting worried I plugged it in and tried to star what do you know Here I am Now I'm certain it's only a matter of time before it freezes again The thing is freezing usually occurs when I'm running one or more programs at a time The computer is going incredibly slow at the moment Is it a certain program that is messing up my registry or would it be a problem with my motherboard dontknow

A:Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing

Try installing another operating system onto the disk and seeing if that crashes as well. If it doesn't you probably have a bad Windows cd. I suggest trying Kubuntu, a version of Linux meant to look somewhat like Windows (You can click here to skip directly to the download page). Just remember to actually install the thing. Most Linux operating systems can be ran directly from the cd without any need to be installed onto a hard disk. There's usually a program on the desktop that will install the system for you. If it runs properly for a week or two, get a new Windows disk. If it crashes just as much as Windows did, get a new computer.

Also, how much RAM does your computer have? If it's very low (256-512 megs or less) it can sometimes cause these kinds of crashes too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/multiple-hard-drive-boot-errors-hard-drive-clicking-and-freezing-374232.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I REALLY hope someone out there can help me Hard as Hard Partition 1T appears Problems! Drive/ Solved: My 8Gigs?! Drive with this I have a failed hard drive stuffed partion and i DESPERATELY need the data from it A computer was brought into me with two hard drives The owner asked me to set up a duel boot with vista and XP on the first hard drive and to leave the second hard drive alone its his backup drive with all his Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! photos movies etc I was working away as per usual when i noticed the second hard drive was no longer coming up in Windows Explorer Well it was but not correctly whenever i clicked on it it said would you liket to format the drive obviously i didnt want to do that I ran Partition Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! Magic which showed the drive was only Gigs it should have been T or Gigs Partition Magic also said there was a problem with the drive and offered to fix it I agreed however there was no change I ve run a number of programs to try and fix the drive Acronis Disk Director Server Partition Table Doctor Demo Dtidata Partition Repair Tool MHDD Recover My Files v FileScavenger However all the partition repairers claim that the drive is only Gigs and they can go no further All the File Recovery Programs will only scan for Gigs and thus i can not recover my clients precious photos and videos The BIOS comes up as recognizing the drive as Gigs I really REALLY need the Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! data from this drive Does anyone know how to fix my problem Thanx heaps in advance Ben nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?!

I've used ZAR to recover files from a RAID box that seemed to have been corrupted due to a bad power supply.

You might check it out. It's free. Meaning it will only allow you to recover so many files at a time. I bought it, and like it.

They have a forum that is monitored quite often, from the developer too.

Good luck.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-partition-problems-my-1t-hard-drive-appears-as-8gigs.858100/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey guys, I was working with my grandfathers computer. The computer would not boot, it kept getting the BSOD with "Unmountable Boot Volume" At the top. Annoyed, I decided I was going to just back up whatever files were on it (Just his favorites, he has absolutely no documents or anything else)..by plugging his HD into my home PC as a slave and copying them to my flashdrive. Then I would reinstall XP Home on his Desktop, and use the flashdrive to put back his files...Sounds easy enough right? NO!!!!.....Problem is, his user account on the computer (Ralph), was Password Protected so now when I try to access any of his files (using Windows 7) I get a message saying Access Is Denied. How do I get around this. It is not possible to boot his old computer to take off the password. Are his files recoverable?
Thanks for any help!

A:Recovering hard drive files from unbootable, password protected hard drive?

You don't have to do all that to overcome an unmountable boot volume error...try running chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk X: /r (where X is the drive letter assigned by XP and with spaces between k and X: and X: and /) and then hit Enter.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251609/recovering-hard-drive-files-from-unbootable-password-protected-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.29%

I just installed a brand new Western Digital Hard Drive 160 gig. I partitioned it with FDISK, then formated, then did a clean install of windows XP. Everything was fine until after i finished the installation, and i tried to connect my old maxtor 20 gig so i could transfer some files over, and the computer stopped reading both hard drives. When i start it up, the computer can't boot from either drive. I've tried disconnecting each of the drives and only booting with one connected, with no luck. I also tried changing the gray strip, I can't remember what its official name is, but that didnt help either. When I go into BIOS and let it auto detect my drives, It wont recognize either of the drives.

A:New hard drive installed sucessfully, now my computer cant find any hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-installed-sucessfully-now-my-computer-cant-find-any-hard-drive.290955/
Relevancy 44.29%

hi all,
i hope someone can help me out, i am a newbie to all this so bare with me.
my hard drive failed over a month ago but i managed to do a system image with win7 to my new 2tb internal hard drive. i cannot get the image recovery to work as i says "no image can be found on hard disk". i am at a loss from there. I have tried and cried over this as its driving me mad as i have no pc.

Leroy

A:hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive

just to add really that the system image is on my new hard drive (2tb internal). i use the boot dvd and i get a far as "repair my computer" click on it, sometimes i get message saying not compatable with this version of windows other times it lets me on to next bit, then says no image can be found on hard drive. if i go through the load drivers i can see my hard drive with items on it. ie windowsbackup and others. again i am at a loss with this, any help would be greatful.

Leroy

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/314470-hard-drive-failed-system-image-not-found-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I am having a serious problem with my pc.Windows disk is showing me these following errorsBoot sector of the hard drive disk is damagedBad sectors on hard drive or damaged file allocation tableRead time of hard drive clusters less the 500 msHard drive doesnt respond to system commands40% of hdd space is unreadableWhat does this mean and can I fix itI cannot access my documents folder or other programs Any Help would be greatI tried the defrag thing but it didnt workEdit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, at the recommendation of forum staff. ~ Animal

A:Critical Error Hard Drive not found. Missing hard Drive

When you say "Windows disk". Can you give a little better description of just what\where the warning message is coming from?

You "tried the defrag thing but it did`t work".

Where did you go to access the defrag? What does "it did`t work" mean?

The reason I am asking these questions is not to give you a hard time. There is a virus going around that is very similar in it`s behavior.

I am just trying to find out exactly what it is we are dealing with.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380473/critical-error-hard-drive-not-found-missing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have a dell dimension 8200 windows xp home edition sp3. One of my hard drives has the fbi virus. I cant boot from a usb on it but the computer can have two hard drives plugged in at once. Could i plug the dirty hard drive in and scan and remove the virus from the clean one?.

A:Scanning dirty hard drive from clean hard drive in same computer

Hello, and Welcome

Detach the drive without the FBI virus. On another computer download Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Burn the iso to a CD. On a Windows 7 computer simply right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. Connect the computer with the FBI virus via a Ethernet cable so Kaspersky can update it's definitions. Boot the disk and then open the terminal and type windowsunlocker (all lower case) shown in this guide. Then run the antivirus on the Kaspersky disk

http://media.kaspersky.com/downloads/consumer/kasp10.0_rescuedisk_en.pdf

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591973/scanning-dirty-hard-drive-from-clean-hard-drive-in-same-computer/
Relevancy 44.29%

I need an external hard drive for taking regular backups of all of my data.
When i searched the internet I got two options:
1. Porable HDD [high cost, slower speed but don't need external power]
2. Desktop HDD [low cost, higher speed but need external power]

I want to know that...
1. Which hard disk's live longer? Porable or Desktop.
2. I heared that pulling off USB cable of Portable HDD may cause data lose because it also supplies power to hdd.
What will happpen if Power goes off from Desktop HDD? Will my data/Hard disk remain protected?
3. Level of safety of data on moving or shaking on both Desktop and Portable HDD.
4. Can we install os and boot from portable and desktop external hdd?

A:Need Advice : External Desktop Hard drive vs Portable Hard drive?

Unless you really need to go portable with a Laptop .. I'd not use a USB powered External.
You cannot boot from a USB External .. But there's another option if you're capable of physically changing HDDs ..

Get a good external Enclosure (with a fan for cooling) .. Install a good HDD ... with a 5 year warranty
and make the HDD in the enclosure a bootable backup .. where you could swap HDDs if/when needed ..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-external-desktop-hard-drive-vs-portable-hard-drive.988810/
Relevancy 44.29%

my hard drive crash and i just bought a new hard drive. but i dont have a windows cd only product key on my desktop case.how can I install windows on my new hard drive?

A:hard drive crash... install windows on new hard drive withou...

Galilee Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about wanting to restore your PC and wanted to help -- but need more information. Your PC did not come with Win10 preinstalled, so if you were to order HP Recovery Media and use that, it would restore the original operating system, drivers, and HP utilities.  I presume this is NOT what you want, right? So, while you can make Win10 media to recover your PC, it would be a clean-install and nothing would be preserved. You can make such media using this tool: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit).  While you CAN change these settings, do NOT. If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code! Good Luck 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hard-drive-crash-install-windows-on-new-hard-drive-without/td-p/5686961
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello guyz,
pliz help me with the steps involved in upgrading or replacing an MFM hard drive with IDE-class hard drive

A:STEPS TO UPGRADE/REPLACE an MFM hard drive with an IDE-class hard drive

Hi kfkaggwa, and welcome to TSG.

Any chance the motherboard has and IDE controller built in? If not, what kind of expansion card options does it have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-to-upgrade-replace-an-mfm-hard-drive-with-an-ide-class-hard-drive.606240/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello I just got a new Dell Dimension E with Vista as the operating system Vista Stinks For most programs including video and audio from XP Service Pack Vista doesn t recognize drivers that were fine with XP Service Pack Even Sonic and Roxio which are installed hard with Drive Can with XP? replaced Solved: Hard be Dell drive Vista on the damn thing give these same problems My internet connection is also no better at all and was outright disabled with a message quot something has caused Microsoft Internet to stop working quot Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP? after I tried to install basic version of Zone Alarm Then on Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP? reboot it says quot unauthorized change made to your license you must verify your software online quot This message come up before the desktop appears and this screen is frozen whether you choose the quot verify quot or quot cancel quot option Couldn t shut down by any means either including Control Alt Delete it wouldn t bring up that window Had to literally pull the plug and reboot into Safe Mode where I uninstalled Zone Alarm and a couple of other functions that worked perfectly in XP Then I was able to re-boot normally the message did not come up again I hate Vista Not interested in any quot fixes quot not worth the trouble The only fix for Vista is a sledgehammer to the drive My hope is this can I get the hard drive removed and replace it with a clean hard drive that has XP sp on it or am I stuck with this P O S Operating System The computer in question is a brand new Dell Dimension E GHz processor AMD Dual Core gb RAM Combined CD DVD drive gb hard drive Thanks for any help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-dell-hard-drive-with-vista-be-replaced-with-hard-drive-xp.563372/
Relevancy 44.29%

Had this laptop for about 6 years, had a few issues in the past, but nothing major like this. After, I ran a system dianostic, the result shown that the Hard drive short DST failed. Not totally sure how to do a recovery, I do have the Recovery Discs, so I searched up how to run the discs; turned on the system- press f11-  window loading files- window starting- then it just stuck on a window blue screen with nothing but the cursor. Can I even use the Recovery Discs? I want to replace the old HDD with a new SSD, but I'm not sure if I have to install a new OS or can I recover the old hard drive OS and transfer to the SSD?

A:Hard Drive failure (Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed)

DST:Fail means  the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-failure-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-Check-Failed/td-p/5789622
Relevancy 44.29%

I recently formatted my c drive and now i am reinstalling all the software. I keep all the setups of software in my external hard drive. For installing the software I coy the setup folder of the required software on my laptop, then install it.

Is straightaway installing the software by accessing the external hard drive okay? Does it make any difference in the installation time or any reduction in life of hard disk performance.

Or should I always install through my laptop hard drive?

I am running windows 8.1 pro

A:installation software from external hard drive or internal hard drive

Your method is as good as any. If it works, keep doing it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/installation-software-from-external-hard-drive-or-internal-hard-drive-1056962.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I did this on a Compaq Presario c500 and now i have no audio coming over my laptop. HELP!

A:Windows Vista Hard Drive replaced with XP Hard Drive. No audio.

You need to install the proper drivers for your hardware. All of the drivers you need are right here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-hard-drive-replaced-with-xp-hard-drive-no-audio.681812/
Relevancy 44.29%

hi .
i have a Compaq nx 7400 .
i was hahving a lot of problems with the computer so i decided to put a new hard drive in and reinstall XP .
well i have the new hard drive in and started up the machine and changed the bott options to run from the dvd and all went fine until i should press the ENTER ( return ) button to install XP now . as soon as i did that the next window said no hard drive found . this was also happening on the old hard drive that was in the machine .

im stuck and i dont know what else to try . anyone had this problem before .?

Thanks for any help .
very strange .
Timo

A:Solved: new hard drive xp , new install, doesnt find hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-hard-drive-xp-new-install-doesnt-find-hard-drive.726533/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all I T410 bios mod bug have flashed a WL-free BIOS from Serg to my T -DA I had the latest factory BIOS before Flash was successful i disabled the TPM because the beeps at startup Then i realized that i cannot read CPU speed from the OS Ubuntu and the battery isn't charging I can see on the indicator when it is T410 mod bios bug inserted or not but no charging T410 mod bios bug I installed TLP started a calibration but it only discharged the battery and charging is not working Or if it is working BIOS does not see what charging circuit is doing EC ROM is in addition I tried to flash factory BIOS but it cannot be done with battery I'm afraid to flash FL and FL as i have two FL files extracted from factory flash Have someone seen a bug like this before Can someone tell me how to flash FL and two FL 's and PAT files with Winphlash Or force the boot CD image to update I ned to revert the factory BIOS to check that the charging circuit is OK nbsp Thanks in advance

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T410-mod-bios-bug/td-p/3333150
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,  We have HP Zero Clients (T410) and are connection to an Windows 2012 server.When i look in the admin guide it saysthat USB redirection to windows 2012 and Windows 8 is supported.  I have enable USB redirection in the zero client. But when i connect an USB device to the zeroclient is isnt viable in my RDP7 connection to the server. Do i have to edit some policys on the server or do i need software ?  Kind regards,   Hans Vos

A:T410 - USB redirection

Im having a simaller problem with my Windows server 2008, using the T410 as well. I can get thumb drives to redirect, but i cant get SD card readers. Have you found a solution to this problem yet?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/T410-USB-redirection/td-p/5081714
Relevancy 43.86%

The ads I see on Amazon etc say that there is more than one fan type for a T and be sure to get the one that fits your machine nbsp How to make the match nbsp My T is a Type - U according to a sticker on its bottom nbsp At https support lenovo com us en documents migr- I find a table that maps these computer types to model numbers of parts including fan assemblies nbsp It lists Fan assembly integrated M and M as suitable for type - x but by omission it implies that Fan assembly discrete M and T410? fit What replacement fan will my M are not suitable to type - x nbsp I assume that in that type code x is a variable so - U is a member of that type nbsp Ah nbsp I just learned at nbsp https support lenovo com us en What replacement fan will fit my T410? documents migr- that the two different fan assemblies are for integrated graphics and discrete graphics models respectively - their heat sink components are quite different nbsp Ah again nbsp From pix on Amazon I infer that the two integrated assemblies have slightly different heat sinks but both are for integrated graphics nbsp The M is shown here nbsp https www amazon com Genuine-IBM-Thinkpad-Cooling-Heatsink dp B MTWDB E and the M is here https www amazon com IBM-Original-Thinkpad- M -Assembly dp B QWCTLG nbsp From this I want to conclude that if I get a model M or M I'm cool nbsp Is that right nbsp Also it's possible and much cheaper to buy a fan without buying the heat sink assembly as well nbsp Anybody know which fan models fit into the Fan assembly integrated nbsp Thanks in advance Ken

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/What-replacement-fan-will-fit-my-T410/td-p/3485013
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi Guys nbsp I need your help here I bought a refurbished T in Oct from Newegg It has a Win professional Today when I turned on the computer it first give out a brief it 15. bought in a has refurbished. t410 ... Oct. Now Thinkpad then it gave out a brief green screen Finally it will stay on a 'black' screen It seems that my screen is 'good' since it first has very briefly Thinkpad Recnetly I have downloaded software which I supspect it has virus on it Also to day before t410 refurbished. bought in Oct. 15. Now it has a ... I turned the computer t410 refurbished. bought in Oct. 15. Now it has a ... off I changed the computer time to Jun I am not sure if these activities are related to my 'black' screen nbsp I later connected a external display and I could do everything on it my external display is good nbsp Lenovo 'black' screen external display is working when the computer is turned on 'Thinkpad' briefly showed up then a brief green screen then goes to 'black' nbsp Please give me your advices Thanks nbsp Dan nbsp nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/t410-refurbished-bought-in-Oct-15-Now-it-has-a-black-screen/td-p/3338506
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi guys, Trying to get Bitlocker working on a t410. The bios is enabled for TPM and the drivers are installed. When trying to enable Bitlocker i'm getting a message saying: A TPM module must be present on this computer but a TPM module was not found. Any ideas? Thanks,Mike

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T410-Bitlocker-issues/td-p/3465935
Relevancy 43.43%

On T410 upgraded Windows 10 32bit op sys to 64 bit and Epson projector no longer works.   Worked flawlessly and effortlessly prior to upgrade to 64 bit.  Help? thankshal mann

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T410-Windows-10-64-bit-projector/td-p/3464149
Relevancy 43.43%

At the end of the day when I close my laptop, the display will turn off but sometimes the system won't go into sleep mode. I then have to open the lid again and completely shut down the system. Is there an easy way to fix this?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/System-won-t-sleep-on-T410/td-p/3345906
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi all, I have a T410 that's from 2010 with the i5 520m cpu. I bought it used recently and I don't think the bios has ever been upgraded. When I follow the regular instructions of entering BIOS --> Config --> CPU, I saw a menu of four choices. The bottom two wereIntel(R) Virtualization Technology [DISABLED]Intel(R) VT-d Feature [DISABLED]I tried to change them, but strangely the menu only let me navigate through the first two choices (I can't recall them exactly now but they didn't seem to have anything to do with virtualization), nothing seemed to allow me to access the bottom two choices...  How should I go about fixing this properly?  I want to be very careful with upgrading/flashing BIOS as I really don't want to end up with a brick Thanks

A:Enabling Intel VT-x in a T410

Look for your BIOS Version and post it(You can find it on the start page of your BIOS)VT-x is supported by your CPU, but maybe there are conflicting settings..Maybe you really have to update the BIOS but that shouldn't be a real problem...Use a disk image, hook your thinkpad to the power and let it be for 20 minutes or so... 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Enabling-Intel-VT-x-in-a-T410/td-p/1851016
Relevancy 43.43%

Without any indication of slow computer etc.. suddenly a very short blue screen then unable to boot from any device.

I had changed to a new SSD just 8 months back.

I need help with this otherwise nice Laptop.

Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/624367/my-t410-with-ssd-is-not-booting-from-any-device/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have had to reload W7 and cannot find drivers on the driver page for these:? Any help appreciatted!Device manager?

A:T410 driver issue

Welcome to the forum!

Install and run Lenovo System Update, it should take care of the missing drivers: click me!

-

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T410-driver-issue/td-p/3477243
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello Iam new here my wifi card broke and I want to replace it!.Original card is Intel centrino advanced - n - 6200 FRU 60Y2331.Can I replace whit this one T410s wifi card Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300. And what equalizer would you recommend to make sound better. Thank you!All The Best,Janar

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T410-WIFI-card/td-p/3382868
Relevancy 43.43%

I have been getting regularly occurring BSODs with various errors. Looking for help please.
The dump output from BSOD program and performance monitor data are attached.

The system is:
Laptop
Lenovo T410
Current OS is Windows 7 and is the one that came with the system.
System is 3 or 4 years old.

The BSODs seem to occur during heavy browser usage. Having multiple tabs opened and switching back and forth between tabs, the browser, and desktop apps. But almost always (if not always), when I am in a browser window.

Thanks,

Paul T.

A:BSOD Lenovo T410

Additional info ... The internet browser being used seems to be unimportant. I get BSODs with Chrome, Firefox and IE.

Paul T.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-lenovo-t410-761169.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I did a hardware scan on my computer and it showed me a hardware problem with the memory. The computer have been working fine for many years now. The only thing I did not so long after I got it was to upgrade to 8 GB of memory and an SSD disk. So it have been working great for many years.No it's started turning it self of sometimes while I use it. The scan showed result code: WMEBVVBTH-WL8BRF Also see the log attached. Is the memory starting to go bad or is it the Windows? The computer is upgraded to Windows 10 a few months back.

Report.jpg ?48 KB

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T410-with-a-memory-problem/td-p/3363533
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi everyone,
Need a new laptop for my computer science degree, considered quite a few. Was just wondering if anyone has an oppinion on the Lenovo ThinkPad T410 2516, I would upgrade it as follows:
i5-460m processor
windows 7 home premium 64
3/4GB RAM
320GB 7200rpm hard drive
9 cell battery
Anyone think i should upgrade it differently, I'd like to get it a little cheaper so where if anywhere should i make the cuts in upgrades?
Has anyone got this laptop? is it particularly heavy to carry around?

A:What do you think of the Lenovo ThinkPad T410?

what the difference in 3 and 4GB memory - i would not expect you to use that amount of memory unless you are using some special heavy memory programs

what other choice of CPUs do you have

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-do-you-think-of-the-lenovo-thinkpad-t410.957614/
Relevancy 43%

Gigabyte nf4 Ultra or DFI nf4 Ultra of MSI NEO4 PLatinum?

I will be running a system:

AMD 64 3200+ or 3500+
2 x 1Gb Corsair Value ram
2 x 250Gb Seagate NCQ
LEadtek 6600GT Extreme
Tagan 480W

Now my question is, which board is faster, more stable, has better equipment ... ?

I will NOT overlock my system, so in the first place I need a motherboard that is stable and doesn't couse too much problems ...

Which of these two do you reccomend?

TNX!

A:Gigabyte nf4 Ultra or DFI nf4 Ultra

I'm pretty much building the same PC you are. I still need to decide on the videocard, either the 6600Gt or x700pro.

For the motherboard, I've decided to go with DFI. I haven't seen reviews comparing both, but they seem pretty much to deliver the same performances. I like the design of the DFI better, but the main thing that made me choose the DFI was the number of PCI-e slots. The gigabyte model has only 2 PCI-e 1x slots and 1 16x slot, DFI offers 1 1x slot, 1 4x slot and 2 16x slots. So I should be able to use PCI-e parts more easily in the next few years.

Feature wise, gigabyte offers 8 SATA ports(4 on 3.0Gb/s) while DFI has 4 on 3.0Gb/s only. Both seem to offer 10 USB ports and 2 lan connector.

There's not much difference specs wise, it pretty much comes down to who you trust more and price wise.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gigabyte-nf4-ultra-or-dfi-nf4-ultra.21012/
Relevancy 43%

I am unsure about what happens after you convert your internal hard drive to an external hard drive... Let's say the internal HDD was your only laptop HDD and you replaced it with a SSD. If you convert your old internal HDD to an external HDD, what would happen when you open it up on your newly installed OS (on the SSD)?

I am trying to download a new OS but us my old internal HDD as an external drive just to access specific files. However, I don't want any other data/programs/settings/etc. downloaded onto my new SSD. Do I need to delete my old OS when I convert my old internal HDD into an external HDD or does the OS simply get "reduced" to a bunch of files that I will see on my newly installed OS?

If anyone is able to clarify these questions that would be fantastic!

A:What happens after you convert your internal hard drive to an external hard drive?

does the OS simply get "reduced" to a bunch of files that I will see on my newly installed OS?Click to expand...

Yes
it will just be seen as a data drive and you would need to goto the directory for your data
it wont run as an OS at all

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-happens-after-you-convert-your-internal-hard-drive-to-an-external-hard-drive.1118543/
Relevancy 43%

Hey guys,

I have a HP Touchsmart IQ500. Turning my computer PC on today, all I got was a blue HP invent screen with setup, boot menu, system recovery, and system diagnosis, and I could not get past it.

I entered the BIOS and figured out that the hard drive was listed as "not installed." Pretty sure that is the main problem.

I tried a system restore (with the Windows 7 install disc), but I guess the computer couldn't read the hard drive enough to enter safe mode (I tried restarting and F8ing several times).

I put in an external hard drive, and the BIOS read it; however, windows does not allow you to partition an OS on a hard drive.

I am all out of ideas; I'm currently taking apart the computer (touchsmarts are hard to pry open), but I have no clue about computers so I'm hoping one of you guys can help.

Thanks in advance!

A:Computer Not Booting Hard Drive/Unresponsive Hard Drive

It should be under warranty...probably too late but taking it apart will most likely void the warranty.....sounds like a dead hard drive/loose cable

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/169680-computer-not-booting-hard-drive-unresponsive-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 43%

A friend brought me her computer It is a Sony Vasio Laptop model PCG- K L It and take to do a failing drive move new Vista hard old How it hard I off my drive? has a Hitachi GB RPM SATA HDD that has failed do How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive? to physical damage How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive? she dropped it Is it possible to move all the data including the Vista Home Premium OS from the old HDD to a new HDD so she doesn t have to buy a new OS She s had the computer for awhile and doesn t have any restore or repair disks I happen to have a Vista repair disk from an old laptop Am I able to install the repair disk on the new HDD and then use the product key on the underside of her computer to install Vista Thanks for your help If this topic has been covered successfully in this forum in the past just link me to it I tried looking but am not exactly sure how to phrase the search question I ve looked but not satisfied with what I have been finding Thanks nbsp

A:How do I take Vista off my old failing hard drive and move it to a new hard drive?

In spite of the physical damage you can still read the hard drive? Try cloning the drive or imaging the needed partitions. I use Macrium Reflect Free. Easeus Todo Backup is another free one, and there are lots more.

Am I able to install the repair disk on the new HDD and then use the product key on the underside of her computer to install Vista?Click to expand...

Only if the "repair disk" is a Vista installation DVD. Repair disks just include the Recovery Console programs (I probably don't have the correct term there) to fix issues with booting and startup, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-take-vista-off-my-old-failing-hard-drive-and-move-it-to-a-new-hard-drive.1108349/
Relevancy 43%

BIOS AMD v I have an IDE hard drive that slides in and out of the computer to connect disconnect from the IDE cable When I had two internal hard drives it booted up using the correct C regardless of whether the removeable hard drive was in or out I have now installed a third internal hard drive that contains the C that it should boot from One of the other drives has a mangled XP Pro OS that does not function well enough to use So I installed XP on the drive that I just installed Problem is that when I set the Boot Settings hard disk drive to be the new hd while the removeable drive is plugged in it all works the way I want it and BIOS the drive hard hard drive settings removeable to However if after having backed up to the removeable drive I remove it BIOS hard drive settings and the removeable hard drive for safe storage the computer will then boot up from the wrong hd When checking in the BIOS setup I see that the Hard Disk Drive setting has been changed I just want it to stay with what I specified and not change things on its own Is this possible nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-hard-drive-settings-and-the-removeable-hard-drive.818288/
Relevancy 43%

I just got a new comp and want to move my Galaxies and Godfather game files from one drive to the other.

I am wondering if anyone knows how get this to work, or, get it so i can run the program from a different drive than my primary drive.

thanks

Relevancy 43%

My hard drive started making funny clicking noises and the pc pitstop checkup gave me a response time of 77ms and a warning that it could expire shortly. So i bought a new 80 gb hard drive, installed it, partitioned it no problem, but i now want to swap all the data from my old hard drive to my new one (os and all), and then junk the old drive.
How can i do this without spending money on software that i will probably only use once or twice.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

the pipster

A:How can i copy my failing 8gb hard drive to my new 80gb hard drive?

For free:

XXClone
HDClone (free edition only smaller to larger)
DriveClonerXP
PCI CloneMaxx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-copy-my-failing-8gb-hard-drive-to-my-new-80gb-hard-drive.404558/
Relevancy 43%

I currently am running windows x bit and I am thinking of copying my entire hard drive consisting of C amp D drives using a total of GB of space nbsp And wanting to external as Drive Complete drive a Copying to hard b... an Hard get a Western Digital External Hard Drive with TB Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b... of space nbsp I have been led to believe that windows has a utility called System Image Back Up Utility located in the Control Panel nbsp I have also been led to believe that this can be done completely using a bit by bit copy of the entire hard drive programs files drivers apps utilities etc nbsp But I can not fine enough info on doing this And there are still questions such as How do you transfer the copy from the external hard drive back onto the PC if it should completely crash I do have a five disk recovery set I made when I purchased my PC but still want an additional source of a back up system nbsp I can not find the procedures for copying the copy from the external hard drive to the crashed PC and are ther better and Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b... safer programs out there to use instead of the windows system Image back up utility nbsp I would add that I am somewhat of an intermediate user useing PCs since windows but there are obviously issues that I need to research before attempting something this complicated and advanced nbsp Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp Thanks in Advance Solved View Solution

A:Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b...

A description of System Image Backup can be found here.  If you want both C and D, I would suggest a clone program. Both Seagate and WD offer a free Disk Wizard Program. With the cloning process, you use an external case to perform the clone.  When disaster strikes, you swap out the drives, and continue. Personally, I make clones of my primary desktops every 30-45 days.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Copying-Complete-Hard-Drive-to-an-external-hard-drive-as-a/td-p/5567856
Relevancy 43%

Hi guys I'm new on any sort of Drive an Internal like External acting Hard Hard Drive forums so go easy if it's a stupid question but here goes Me and my brother built me a new computer from scratch he did the building - i did the watching To cut a long story short - I purchased an internal hard drive from Overclockers UK It's a Samsung TB drive I also have a Solid-state drive in there as my primary hard drive that Windows was installed on and a couple of programs are installed on My storage disk the TB disk is for all my music films etc Whenever I drag and drop a file into the Samsung hard-drive - it copies it rather than moves it instantly When I had Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive a laptop I had external hard drives and this is the way it copied files onto them Does anyone know how I can get the Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive internal drive to stop acting like an external drive Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive

This is the way it works. I have an 80GB SSD and an internal HDD and the same happens if the file/folder is large enough. If you just copy a few MBs, you will not see the window with the green stripe running. But if e.g. you copy 500MBs, you will see it. It physically moves the data. That is different if you copy on the same volume from one folder to another. Then it only makes an entry in the MFT.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/68592-internal-hard-drive-acting-like-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 43%

I have a 1TB hard drive that I am only using 30GB on and want to clone that to a 500GB hard drive. I have tried using Drive Image XML but it tells me that I have to get a bigger drive in order for it to work. My question is this, is there a program (free) that can clone a bigger hard drive to a smaller one?I might be answering my question here but I wonder could I image the drive and the restore the image from that one to another one? There has to be a way to do it.uByte

A:Clone Bigger Hard drive to smaller hard drive

The verdict is still out. I tried to image the drive and restore it to the smaller one and it gave me the same message. I wonder if I resized the partition of the bigger one to make it smaller then tried to copy it. That might work.

If anyone has done this before let me know.

uByte

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/228555/clone-bigger-hard-drive-to-smaller-hard-drive/
Relevancy 43%

Is there a program taht will allow for this, that is relatively cheap, or is there a way to do it without using a program?

Relevancy 43%

i have a problem my laptop says it has two hard drives though it only has one physical one my os hard drive is filled and my local disk has lots og free space can someone help me combine them?

A:Os hard drive and local disk hard drive how can i make them into one?

Quote: Originally Posted by CraziReaper

i have a problem my laptop says it has two hard drives though it only has one physical one my os hard drive is filled and my local disk has lots og free space can someone help me combine them?

First, if at all unsure backup

Parigon disk suite (free trial)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/190241-os-hard-drive-local-disk-hard-drive-how-can-i-make-them-into-one.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello All, I am not a very computer savvy person, but here it goes. I have added a second hard drive to my computer and I installed Windows XP OS. My primary hard drive has Windows 7. My primary drive is connected via a SATA connection and the the secondary hard drive is connected via IDE connection. I have set the jumper "pins" on both drives to match each other. The Bios has the Second hard drive set as slave. Upon start up I do not get an option to select an OS. It automatically goes into Windows 7. What do I need to do so that I can get prompted to chose an OS? Please help. Thanks alot.

A:Can't boot secondary hard drive that has different OS from primary hard drive

Apples and oranges. There may be tricks, but normally dual boots require setups all be on the same type cables and connectors.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-boot-secondary-hard-drive-that-has-different-os-from-primary-hard-drive.135796/
Relevancy 43%

I just bought a Dell Latitude D I opted for the GB hard drive at rpm versus the GB drive at rpm When I received the Dell I noticed that I could hear the drive spinning It wasn t constant and it didn t sound strained like a sick hard drive but it would randomly become audible now and again It isn t the fan as I know the difference between what a fan sounds like and what a hard drive sounds like I called Dell Gold Technical Support we ran diagnostics and everything came out fine A manager got on the line and informed me that the faster drive would always rpm hard louder drive drive? 7200 5400 Would a hard be than a rpm be a little louder To be safe I asked fo ra new laptop - and when it got to me it made the very same Would a 7200 rpm hard drive be louder than a 5400 rpm hard drive? sounds Does Dell simply make a loud laptop or is a rpm drive going to be a little louder Here are the specs of the machine Intel Core Duo T GHz Mhz M L Cache GB DDR - SDRAM DIMM MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS M TurboCache GB Hard Drive MM RPM nbsp

Relevancy 43%

I have an internal hard disk not in use ,and I would like to make it as external disk !
I looked on the net and I found I should have the " encelsure " butt I think I wont find it here in my city .
So is there another way ? like usb -esata cable ?

A:how to make your internal hard drive into and external hard drive ?

Firstly, where are you based (Which country)? I would get the part of the internet, I trust we are talking about a 3.5" drive? Do you have an esata port on your pc? I would get something similar to this, I think: Play.com - Buy CiT 35M17SEF 3.5 inch SATA / USB / Firewire / eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/221889-how-make-your-internal-hard-drive-into-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 43%

A friend of mine has asked me to transfer some music and picture files from his old IDE hard Drive in a HP Pavillion System, to his new SATA hard drive in his new Dell System, it sounds like it should be a fairly simple process, but my question is, what is the best way to just copy these files and not the entire hard disk?

Relevancy 43%

Hello everyone This is my first Windows hard on is installing a new drive; 7 old drive RAID hard post with a question I searched the forums and didn't see anything quite like it I have a Velocity Micro computer with a RAID hard drive in case this matters on which Windows Professional is the OS I've forgotten the RAID number designation but it's the one in which there is no data redundancy Both of the two physical disks TB each must be in place to form one usable drive which has a TB capacity At least that's my understanding Again this may not matter to my question but I wanted to mention it because I'm concerned it could The computer also has GB of RAM and a -core Intel processor for what that information is worth A installing Windows 7 on a new hard drive; old hard drive is RAID year or installing Windows 7 on a new hard drive; old hard drive is RAID so ago after using the computer for at least a year software that had worked fine slowly began to fail one by one I'm not sure of the order but they include -Windows Update wouldn't download anything or even notify me of updates anymore -WinTV stopped working I could no longer record TV shows -the Windows program that monitors whether I have security software running or installing Windows 7 on a new hard drive; old hard drive is RAID need backups or updates vanished from my tray -BOINC kept giving me a message about zero status but no finished file or something like that -BOINC wouldn't install -Weather Watcher could no longer be double-clicked to open -couldn't boot in one operation I had to get to a point in the process I've forgotten the details and then shutdown and start again -the Start Windows menu became shorter than it used to be though I'm not sure what went missing -and there were other things I had routinely run scans with Malwarebytes Anti-malware and with Panda Cloud Antivirus before all this happened Until it stopped working I religiously updated Windows I did periodic defragmenting and occasional scans for disk errors In short I think I did a pretty good job maintaining the computer The one thing sadly that got neglected was the thing that could save me most right now a complete backup or disk image I meant to but it didn't get done But I had several power failures in my house I could only guess but probably at least half a dozen in that first year of owning the computer And once I woke up to the smell of smoke and although it wasn't thick enough to be visible I traced the smell to my computer's power supply I'm not sure either of these points are relevant either After cleaning dust from the power supply this never happened again but now I have a battery backup UPS to prevent further sudden shutdowns which I fear may have caused file corruption -- that's possible right About last December things got suddenly worse My first indication of a more serious problem may have been a MBAM scan which reported as I recall a couple hundred problems where it would normally be unusual for such a scan to find a single problem But I was very skeptical of this and thinking MBAM itself may have become hosed tried at least one and probably two or three alternate malware scanners If memory serves they included Emsisoft and probably Panda Cloud AV and neither turned up anything Right or wrong I attributed the MBAM result to just another casualty of what I had begun to suspect were numerous corrupted files Then one day shortly after the MBAM thing the computer started getting lots of blue screens and shortly after that it got a blue screen during every boot I am no longer able to see my desktop For nearly a year I've resorted to my old laptop and an even older desktop computer to get online and do other things I can provide the blue screen image taken with my camera and any more detail that is requested but in the interest of keeping this down to a small novel I just want to say I've tried numerous things in the months or so since that blue screen issue started They've included System ... Read more

A:installing Windows 7 on a new hard drive; old hard drive is RAID

All your symptoms point towards malware in your old Wodniws OS.

There is no reason that you could not use your RAID array as your storage and boot off another drive, seems perfectly logical as there is no need for RAID with a Win OS as Winsxs.sys already exists within. Yes you change the boot order in the BIOS, set the cd drive first, then point the installation at the new disk which will default to C:\ No need to remove the RAID array, which will appear as additional storage. You may need to install drivers to get this to function correctly.

You could of course back up your data to another drive and re-install you rOS on your original disks...

Up to you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/515665/installing-windows-7-on-a-new-hard-drive;-old-hard-drive-is-raid/
Relevancy 43%

My 500gb backup hard drive is showing only 25gb left. My main 650gb hard drive shows only 150gb used. How is this discrepency possible? Also when I examine the I drive can only get it to add up to less than 200gb, the largest file being an computer image file.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/backup-hard-drive-discrepency-main-hard-drive-4604002/
Relevancy 43%

I earlier posted about the Aspire AST -UP A be internal external Can drive hard full used hard drive? for having GB hard drive I since then contacted Aspire chat support Apparently not being tech savy we didn t realize gb hard drive only c drive is able to be used the d data drive holds the programs to run the computer I didn t mean can I use the external hard drive internally I meant if I hook it up externally would it work in place of the internal hard drive Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? that is nearly full except for around GB So unfortunately the computer Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? isn t as big as you believe But I wanted to know if I purchase I was looking at Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? western digital elements TB external hard drive Can we use it for this computer It will not run itunes or anything like that but we can obviously go online My brother wants to buy a new computer but I know that is probably not the way to go Should we get an internal hard drive installed and other memory or something or can we use the external hard drive I would appreciate any informed help on this since we do not no technical info on computers Can t really afford to buy another computer right now Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive?

If you want to take out the drive from external hard drive case and install it in your desktop/laptop, then usually you can. Usually external hard drives are just ordinary hard drives accompanied by some extra controller to make it able to "talk" via general ports (e.g. USB). However I am not familiar with digital elements 2TB , so I can not confirm it. But I do have WD external drive, which I had positively confirm that its real drive is just ordinary hard drive.

Note that if you decide to do this, I suggest to find experience people to work on extracting the drive. If you do it yourself you will risk to damage it, and you don't want that since usually opening the closure means voiding the warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-external-hard-drive-be-used-for-full-internal-hard-drive.161546/
Relevancy 43%

Hi, for nearly a year now I've been using a Buffalo 500GB external hard drive.
Just yesterday though, after unplugging it from my PC, using it on another Windows 7 machine and then attempting to reconnect it the my PC, it began to show up on My Computer as a Local Disk rather than an external. In addition, when I try to access it, it gives me this message: E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. My question is, is there any way to return the drive to it's original state or recover the data inside? The data is of extreme importance.
Thanks for any help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-being-read-as-an-internal-hard-drive.1077768/
Relevancy 43%

Hello --

I have installed Win7 Virtual PC and Windows XP mode. The resulting default virtual hard drive is a differencing drive set up on the host (parent) drive C:.

The help file states, "Important - We recommend that you write-protect or lock the parent disk before using the differencing disk. Otherwise, if the parent disk is modified by some other process, any differencing disk related to it becomes invalid, and all data written to the differencing disk is lost."

What modifications to the parent disk does this refer to? For example, should I be concerned about
- Installing new software?
- Defragmenting?
- Changing the partition size?
- What other modifications?

Thanks.

Relevancy 43%

I have an HP Pavillion dv laptop that originally was loaded with VISTA but now is operating nbsp with WINDOWS nbsp nbsp I do Hard Hard Transfer new existing Drive Drive to info not have any INSTALL DISKS FOR vista or WINDOWS nbsp Transfer existing Hard Drive info to new Hard Drive The laptop was originally owned by my daughter and she gave it to me after upgrading to a new laptop nbsp Last year I received notification via the laptop that I could upgrade to WINDOWS for free nbsp After trying unsuccessfully numerous times to upgrade I read the System Requirements for WINDOWS and found that my laptop lacked the required free RAM GB nbsp I decided to replace nbsp the original stock Hard Drive GB with Transfer existing Hard Drive info to new Hard Drive a new HD GB nbsp I am looking for the best way to transfer the data from the old HD to the new HD nbsp Please know that this is the first time that I have performed any type of work of this type on a PC device so please be aware that I probably will ask questions or ask for clarification of your recommendations so bare with me nbsp Thank you in advance

A:Transfer existing Hard Drive info to new Hard Drive

Blazer5 Let's correct a few things, first. Win10 does not require 16GB of RAM; instead, it requires that much Disk Space. Win10 requires only 1GB RAM (32-bit PC) or 2GB of RAM (64-bit PC). As to transferring the data, there are two part to this -- the easy part and the hard part. BOTH start the same way, by you purchasing a USB-to-Hard-Drive adapter and using that to connect the old drive to the PC. But, you first need to determine if the old drive is IDE or SATA.  IDE drives have two rows of small pins on the back; SATA drive have two plastic connectors with contact strips on them.  IF it's an IDE drive, make sure that the Adapter you obtain handles IDE drives -- most new ones do NOT. Then, after connecting the drive to the PC, you should get popups about opening a File Manager window for each of the partitions on the drive.  If the drive is still formatted the original way, the really large partition will have the OS and data files in it. You should then be able to copy the data from this old drive to your PC simply by dragging and dropping in Windows Explorer. That's the easy part ... The hard part is that the files she saved under her user account will be protected, and while you MIGHT be able to copy them, you will NOT be able to open them -- this is by design.  This allows multiple folks, each with their own user ID, to use the same PC and not see each other's files. To solve that, you will have to Take Ownership of her file folders on the old drive.  This is a tutorial from the Win7 forums about that:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html Once you do that, you will then "own" the files and folders and can copy them to your drive and then use them.Good Luck

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Transfer-existing-Hard-Drive-info-to-new-Hard-Drive/td-p/5746964
Relevancy 43%

I installed a brand new hard drive in my hp pavilion ze4630 and even when booting from the the Win XP disk it does not see the new hard drive. I tried using a Win Me disk in an attempt format from dos but unit does not boot into dos. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK4025GAS and i did not find a driver on their site. What do i need to do to initialize a virgin hard drive ? Also tried installing as slave drive to my desktop and format with functioning Win XP but it also did not see the drive. Thanks for assistance with this matter.

A:Hard drive formatting instruction for brand new hard drive

rskin2001 said:

I installed a brand new hard drive in my hp pavilion ze4630 and even when booting from the the Win XP disk it does not see the new hard drive. I tried using a Win Me disk in an attempt format from dos but unit does not boot into dos. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK4025GAS and i did not find a driver on their site. What do i need to do to initialize a virgin hard drive ? Also tried installing as slave drive to my desktop and format with functioning Win XP but it also did not see the drive. Thanks for assistance with this matter.Click to expand...

Can you see the drive in the BIOS setup?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-formatting-instruction-for-brand-new-hard-drive.467932/
Relevancy 43%

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to clone a SATA hard drive with Windows XP to a USB hard drive, and rather or not if Windows XP would work well on the USB hard drive after it was cloned from the SATA hard drive. The USB hard drive would be the only hard drive used after the SATA hard drive with Windows XP was cloned to the USB hard drive.

Relevancy 43%

I had been using my Hitachi 320g external HD for 2yrs.It had not problem until yesterday I transfering some files from my Drive C to Hitachi HD when the computer hang.I unpluged the external HD and restart PC.When I pluged in the external HD again it was recognised as interrnal HD.I've problem accessing the files.The PC detected it was FAT32 since my system was NTFS and asked me to reformat my external HD.I tried connect to other PC but no different.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-recognised-as-internal-hard-drive.915927/