Windows Support Forum

Win10 forced upgrade taking over 24 hours

Q: Win10 forced upgrade taking over 24 hours

Hi all. MS apparently decided to upgrade my wife's comp from Win7 to 10 sometime in the early morning hours yesterday. Been on the black upgrading screen ever since - the upgrade is going along, but it's only at 25% (copying files is at 84%) and it's been about 24 hours now. Comp is about 4 years old, built with current parts for that time period, don't have it's details handy right now.

I've been dealing/building comps for over 30 years, and I've NEVER seen an install/upgrade take this long. Couple of questions:

What could be causing it to take so long?

Can I stop the upgrade without losing Win7 and her stuff, and how?

Thanks in advance!

MonEl

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/51149-win10-forced-upgrade-taking-over-24-hours.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Win10 forced upgrade taking over 24 hours

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi all, I've recently tried to upgrade to windows 7 home premium 64bit from windows 7 ultimate 64bit (licencing issues). It's a bit strange, but it does seem to work for people. Anyway, I progressed to the 'upgrading windows' section of the upgrade without any problems, until I hit 'transferring files, settings, and programs' on which it has been dwelling and there has been no change in the progress bar for about 48 hours. The hard drive does seem to be doing stuff, but I can't see why it would ever take this long and why the progress bar wouldn't move.

So, my questions are, should I be worried? Is this normal? What should I do?

Thanks.

A:Windows 7 upgrade taking over 48 hours, no progress in progress bar

Quote:
I've recently tried to upgrade to windows 7 home premium 64bit from windows 7 ultimate 64bit (licencing issues).

Do a clean install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/301257-windows-7-upgrade-taking-over-48-hours-no-progress-progress-bar.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Both my sons and my gaming boxes got a forced Win10 update last week. I'm running Win10 pro and he's running Win10 home. The update porked our Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titaniums so that the microphone devices became 'undetected'.

Driver reinstall etc. tricks didn't help. Had to roll back the build to a previous release to fix it on both computers.

So finally the forced updates bit me too it seems. At least MS left a very easy way to roll the update back.

I was laughing quietly when Win10 update chose to force a reboot in the middle of my Steam updating. How nice it must be to use Windows for something more critical than gaming. Not!

A:Win10 forced update

You probably just needed to look into the windows settings themselves a bit more, my old Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 runs just fine with Win10 Insider Build 14361.

The new Redstone related things seems to have even pushed the transfer rates up a bit in some areas.

You can also adjust when your computer will update these days, among other things.

https://hardforum.com/threads/win10-forced-update.1902049/
Relevancy 66.65%

I set my computer to only update what I approved yet Microsoft figured out a way to force it on me and my computer one quot magical quot day had updated to Win I wasn t a happy camper but I resolved to buy Apple for my next computer and grin a bear it in the mean time I just finished getting rid of malware and cleaning up my system to remove what I no longer need Right smack in the middle of something I suddenly lost my internet connection I did some investigating and I found that my Network adapter driver was gone poof This is like the th time this has happened to me I ve been blaming this on malware but when you guys declare my computer as virus Trojan worm free I m beginning to think it s something to do with Win Note that all of the occurrences have been since my magical upgrade My network adapter Forced Win10 Nightmare is a Belcan N model F USB adapter This is only about mo old My son did some investigation and told me that it is likely a Win problem causing this Not only did I lose my wireless adapter driver the USB ports went dark and wouldn t read the flash drive that my son had downloaded the driver onto I appreciate any help you can provide I m hoping you have an idea of what is happening to me Stiina nbsp

A:Win10 Forced Nightmare

You do have 30 days, from the date the Win10 update happened, to reverse it and it will use the files it saved in windows.old to do that, which should resolve your problem.
There were threads here including tools and guides to how to prevent, effectively, a Win 10 upgrade throughout the last year. It's unfortunate you weren't able to successfully follow them.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/win10-forced-nightmare.308097/
Relevancy 65.36%

Please help me with this issue reading this post does this mean that Win will stop working on a new Skylake chip nbsp A Hi Upgrade me nbsp Until you do you can't log in Hahaha nbsp or similar So if I spend to buy a top-of-the-line machine--with Win because I hate Win will it stop Is Help! Win10 Skylake on June forced 2017? working or be forcibly upgraded in months nbsp Will I have to buy last year's model to keep Win into the s updated or not the way we still have Help! Is Win10 forced on Skylake June 2017? a PC running Win that still works nbsp For that matter I have an XP that is still going strong just not connected to the net nbsp nbsp The prospect of this is kinda very scary Because if this is the case I'm not going to buy a new Lenovo nbsp I might buy a previous gen Broadwell if I can find one running Win Pro and Mil-Spec --unless I switch to Linux or Mac shudders nbsp Would RAM be affected nbsp Or would I have to upgrade before nbsp Thanks Microfishd -----------IBM T XP PRO SP display MB DDR RAM GB HDD ThinkLight DVD Lenovo Ideacentre H AMD Athlon II X GB HDD GB DDR RAM -bit Win AMD G

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Help-Is-Win10-forced-on-Skylake-June-2017/td-p/3384533
Relevancy 65.36%

No gamer in their right mind wants to deal with BS like this!

WARNING!! Very important to G27 Logitech wheel users :: DiRT Rally General Chat

WARNING!! Very important to G27 Logitech wheel users
I have a G27 with Profiler 5.10 and LGS 8.83.85 ( for my KB and Mouse ) installed.

Theres a Logitech Download Updater, that's the name of this update, coming through Windows update ( Win 10 here ) and is messing with Logitech Profiler.

Picture in Profiler changes to a Driving Force wheel ( My OS still see my wheel as a G27 tough ) and Profiler looses the ability to change Wheel rotation, enable/disable centering spring and use special steering wheel settings option. Wheel has a 180 degrees only and can't be changed anywhere.

Anyone got this update through Windows? There's any way to stop receiving this update through Windows?

https://hardforum.com/threads/perfect-example-of-why-win10-forced-updates-is-just-plain-bad.1900861/
Relevancy 64.5%

Is that true? Win7/8.1/etc. automatically installs Win 10 'update' (the OS) without the users permission when 'X' many days have passed?

My brother woke up to Win10 (from Win 8.1) the other day and basically did a 'WTF'. Yes I know you can reverse or downgrade it, however, that is a complete bag of doo doo if true.

Tim

A:MS forced Win10 installs w/o user concent?? True?

Read this thread :
How Microsoft's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgradi

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/51204-ms-forced-win10-installs-w-o-user-concent-true.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have repeatedly encountered Win10 Envy 860-1... to 10240 14393 Win10 Failed Upgrade From on a failures in trying to upgrade Win from version to the current version I used Upgrade From Win10 10240 to Win10 14393 Failed on Envy 860-1... the Windows Upgrade exe program - failed I used the MediaCreationTool to download the iso and create a bootable DVD for upgrade - failed Created virtual drive for the iso to upgrade - failed The normal Windows Update function appears to work properly - I get windows and other updates on the usual time basis The relevant files for diagnosing what went wrong seem to be A The WINDOWS BT Sources Panther setupact logB The WINDOWS BT Sources Panther setuperr logC There are also small files with these same names in the WINDOWS WS Sources Panther folder i e another setupact log and setuperr log Here is the file WINDOWS BT Sources Panther setupact log - - Info SP CSetupPlatform Initialize Setup log starts - - Info SP Host system information VM NOFirmware type UEFIManufacturer HPModel - stBIOS name A BIOS version A BIOS release date Total memory Number of physical CPUs Number of logical CPUs Processor manufacturer GenuineIntelProcessor name Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHzProcessor caption Intel Family Model Stepping Processor architecture x Processor Upgrade From Win10 10240 to Win10 14393 Failed on Envy 860-1... clock - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Starting verification of footprint section Footprint Basic - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Could not find footprint file C Windows WS Sources reagent admx - - Info SPVerifyFootprint The requested footprint Upgrade From Win10 10240 to Win10 14393 Failed on Envy 860-1... is not present - - Warning SPGetFootprintCapabilities Footprint Footprint Basic incomplete the platform capability will not be available - - Info SPGenerateCopyListFromConfigFile Didn't find file list in C Windows WS Sources setupplatform cfg section Footprint Servicing x - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Starting verification of footprint section Footprint Servicing - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Could not find footprint file C Windows WS Sources compatprovider dll - - Info SPVerifyFootprint The requested footprint is not present - - Warning SPGetFootprintCapabilities Footprint Footprint Servicing incomplete the platform capability will not be available - - Info SPGenerateCopyListFromConfigFile Didn't find file list in C Windows WS Sources setupplatform cfg section Footprint ICB x - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Starting verification of footprint section Footprint ICB - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Could not find footprint file C Windows WS Sources cmi migxml dll - - Info SPVerifyFootprint The requested footprint is not present - - Warning SPGetFootprintCapabilities Footprint Footprint ICB incomplete the platform capability will not be available - - Info SPGenerateCopyListFromConfigFile Didn't find file list in C Windows WS Sources setupplatform cfg section Footprint Migration x - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Starting verification of footprint section Footprint Migration - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Could not find footprint file C Windows WS Sources cmi migxml dll - - Info SPVerifyFootprint The requested footprint is not present - - Warning SPGetFootprintCapabilities Footprint Footprint Migration incomplete the platform capability will not be available - - Info Initializing diagnostics helper data file NULL - - Info No existing diagnostics data - - Info Key CollectTrace is not available - - Warning SP CSetupPlatform Initialize Failed to initialize tracing - - Info There is already a running setup user mode etw session - - Info VDS available - - Info Key CollectTrace is not available - - Info SP Attempting to resurrect a new system from C Windows BT Sources - - Error SP CSetupPlatform ResurrectNewSystem Cannot resurrect new system Win Exception C Windows BT Sources NewSystem dat The system cannot find the file specified x thiscall UnBCL FileStream FileStream const class UnBCL tring enum UnBCL FileMode enum UnBCL FileAccess enum UnBC... Read more

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Upgrade-From-Win10-10240-to-Win10-14393-Failed-on-Envy-860/td-p/5749396
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi All I have a Windows laptop which I have had for months More recently 32 hours.... Repair Taking it started to run very slowly and I had to constantly refresh IE version I had tried to run avast antivirus scan Repair Taking 32 hours.... on it to see if there was anything untoward but after days the scan simple scan not full scan wasw still Repair Taking 32 hours.... not complete A few days ago I shut down the laptop a few times to see if it made a difference it didn t I tried to restart in safemode it wouldn t it goes to a black blue screen with no cursor or response from any keys I have now tried to boot in normal mode last known good config etc and also repair the laptop got to a repair screen and too hours to get to the we are fixing anything broken box which was fixing for hours at which point I had given up Can anyone recommend a next step aside of a sledge hammer Many thanks

A:Repair Taking 32 hours....

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
HD Diagnostic

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/169548-repair-taking-32-hours.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I just got a new mother board and a new SATA hard drive and installed them and i've managed to get Windows XP installed.

However every time I have to restart the computer it'll go past all the screens to the point where you usually get the windows logo and windows begins to start. Then the screen just stays black for literally hours until the computer will actually start.

Before we couldn't even get that far and the it would just get stuck on the screen with the mother board logo. We solved this by removing one of my sticks of RAM.

Relevancy 61.06%

i am trying to backup emails and settings in thunderbird , using mozbackup but it wont finish

it hasnt frozen , there is still process path words ticking over at bottom but its taken 12 hours and still not done , the progress bar is 99 % full where its been for the last 5 hours

i cancelled one attempt prior to this which did the same thing 12 hours plus waiting game and reduced the tasks down to just;

General settings , emails , address books , saved passowrds , extensions , but still the thing just wont finish
what to do ?

i tried version 1.4.9 and version 1.4.10 , both the same problem

do i need to speak some magic words or use a bit of special oil to make the thing work ?

i am using WIN XP and intel based system

A:Mozbackup taking 12 hours

I find the easiest way to backup Thunderbird is to type %appdata% into the run box and copy the Thunderbird folder from the location that opens and if you want firefox as well just copy the Mozilla folder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mozbackup-taking-12-hours.1062266/
Relevancy 61.06%

My Windows 7 hung itsself up this morning. I had to use the power button to restart. I chose Safe Mode. I now have the screen:

Start up repair.
Start up repair is checking your system for problems
Attemping
Might take an hour

That was 8 hours ago and it is still running.
I pressed the Cance button and got the answer "Cannot cancel"

What now? Any ideas?
Thanks
Herri

A:Start up taking 8 hours

Hold down on the Power Button, or turn it off using your power plug.

If you have a Windows 7 Disk you could try booting Normally, if not run a Repair Install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/211741-start-up-taking-8-hours.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I currently own a Pavilion dv7-6c90us and I shutdown updated it 2 days ago. When I turned it on yesterday it went to a black screen with the loading circles. I left it like that over night and it's still like that, almost a time of 24 hours. If I force a shut down and turn it back on it goes back to the same state. Anyone know what to do that can help, thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hp-Pavilion-taking-more-than-12-hours-to-update/td-p/5788133
Relevancy 60.2%

I installed a new HDD and am installing XP Pro. It has been 4-5 hours already and the install process is still going. it is at the registering components satge and this itself is taking about an hour. Is this normal? How long should I expect this to take. Computer is AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.47GHz. 256 MB memory. 120GB 7200RPM HDD.

A:XP pro install taking over 4 hours - normal?

I have never had a clean installation of XP take longer than 45 mins.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-install-taking-over-4-hours-normal.326110/
Relevancy 60.2%

One of our XP computers runs automated updates for Windows. There has never been any problems.

However the last few days, there have been 10 updates installing, and the 3rd update is taking hours upon hours to install. I have never seen anything like that before.

Is this normal? How would I go about approaching this? It will more than likely update itself later today and if anyone could help me, it would be appreciated.

A:Windows Updates taking 8 hours

well first off im guessing your not running off of dial up, second off, just try resetting your computer and going at it again

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-updates-taking-8-hours.376042/
Relevancy 60.2%

So it was all okay until the afternoon where I forgot to turn on my AVG and just merely allowed my friend to plug in his USB His USB had a problem hours taking help: load. 8.1 Need to Windows where there were only shortcuts so while I looked for the right attrib Need help: Windows 8.1 taking hours to load. commands just to be sure my computer lagged and even there is a significant delay on my opening the Start menu so I had to restart And then boom it keeps on loading stuck on the Windows logo and the circle I tried the Automatic Repair and it still loads forever just like the one above I have a boot USB for Windows so I used it and tried Refreshing my PC It still took long but I allowed it and it only said something like quot Error There was a problem Refreshing your pc Press Restart quot I already tried reseating SATA and RAM and disconnected all peripherals on the cpu and it still doesn t work I tried the command prompt on the boot USB and used the commands C and then attrib -h -r -s -a And then it says quot Access denied - C hiberfil sys quot I also can t find the quot Startup Options quot in Troubleshoot so that I can go to Safe Mode so so far I haven t gone into one yet Please help me nbsp I have school and I need to use some of the files inside Please make reformatting the last resort If there are still possible things I can do please tell me Thank you

A:Need help: Windows 8.1 taking hours to load.

QuoteI tried the command prompt on the boot USB and used the commands C: and then attrib -h -r -s -a *.*And then it says "Access denied - C:\hiberfil.sys"What was the purpose of doing this ? ?If you simply need your schoolwork hook up the drive to an external HDD enclosure and you can retrieve your data...

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,151161.0.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I have a dell dimension 8100 petium 4 with 512mb memory. I just purchased a new seagate 160g hard drive and installed it. Now I am setting it up with windows XP. The first try the setup got to 54% and then stopped for 45 minutes. I ended it and now I am trying it again. It has been over 3 hours now and it is only to 34% but it is still slowly progressing. I know that it shouldn't take this long. What could be wrong?

Relevancy 60.2%

Since installing the updates from the week of December th I have had many many problems with my system My Outlook Calendar hangs and sometimes flickers at a very high rate of speed as well as other drop down menus and even the Task Manager window typing stops and starts whether it's in an email Skype etc I will randomly hear a Windows loud quot ding quot sound at about second intervals that won't stop until I sign out and back in as well as other issues I turned off my AV last night and began a system restore about p m or so It's now a m the next morning and it's still running Lenovo wants to send me a new hard drive with installation CDs but my system doesn't have a CD drive I am working many many hours every day days a week and I don't know where I'm going to find the time to start all over even if I had a CD drive I use the computer to work hours restore many System taking and I have to work today and tomorrow I have run System restore taking many hours SFC scannow chkdsk R Lenovo dignostics etc etc etc I've tried pretty much everything I can think of Any suggestions on the never-ending system restore I have a Lenovo Y Windows

A:System restore taking many hours

Some info would be good. How old is the laptop? How big is the hard drive? If you use it for work, contact your company. They may give you a work laptop. Dell laptops usually last longer than lenovo ones. Try using onedrive or an external hard drive or flash drive to backup your info. Try to refresh the pc. It may help since it makes everything the way it was (except for hardware usage. That cannot be reversed. Try scratching a car and attempt to reverse it. XD or the year.) if refreshing doesn't work, contact lenovo for a flash drive recovery disk. Those exist, but they may charge you. you can even just buy an external USB powered CD-ROM.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/59480-system-restore-taking-many-hours.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I hope you can help me. I've never run into that one before and have been running Combofix for years. I am an IT professional working on fixing someone's badly infected PC. I finally got to a point where the PC would let me run combofix (after running Smitfraud, MBAM & Superantispyware).I initiated the Combofix program 15 hours ago... it first asked me to disable CD..something (can't remember what it was) then rebooted and started running. It is now (after 15 hours) at completed stage_3. I know it is bad to stop combofix in its tracks but should I wait a week for this thing to complete?Please advise.Many many thanks.I am "generally" grateful for combofix and the enormous help you guys at BC bring to our community!regards The Bruce Dickinson

A:Combofix taking hours/days to run

Update. Now the computer screen is blue (not like a bsod) and the mouse cursor is there, I can move it.. but that's it. the Combofix window has disappeared.
What should I do? reboot?
wait?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/289309/combofix-taking-hoursdays-to-run/
Relevancy 60.2%

I taking hours not or Programs loading, have a few issues going on with mainly right now several programs do not want to open randomly Sometimes it's Firefox sometimes Paintshop Pro sometimes both etc sometimes they work fine the Programs not loading, or taking hours error is quot there was a problem sending the command to the program quot I Programs not loading, or taking hours do NOT have zonealarm installed and this was not an upgrade OS install Doing a full reboot will solve the problem sometimes for awhile Another issue is that I have not been able to do a reboot with it hanging after the logoff Programs not loading, or taking hours screen I'm not sure if it is related but one or two of my drives keep crashing or losing power it might be the IDE card though that issue is still being investigated Sometimes instead of getting the quot there was a problem sending the command to the program quot error the program s just do not open I can see that they were started but with a low ram usage and it stays the same like always at mb or whatever if I open another instance it will do the same to make it work I have to do a restart however sometimes if I do not do anything the program will eventually open eventually being about hours later randomly out of the blue Here are a few of the Errors in my System logs - The server D - - - DE -A B C B did not register with DCOM within the required timeout - The driver for device Device Scsi Ultra detected a port timeout due to prolonged inactivity All associated busses were reset in an effort to clear the condition I'm guessing this is the issue for the harddrives crashing - I do as far as I know have the latest drivers but the card itself I believe is old and I'm not sure of its compatibility

A:Programs not loading, or taking hours

Wow, (7) hard drives? Do you have enough Power Supply to run them? With the price of drives today it may time for a little consolidation. There's been quite a few issues with the older NForce chipsets so I'm not certain if that plays into your issues.

I don't have any immediate suggestions to your error messages but will try to find some info...

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/46512-programs-not-loading-taking-hours.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello all Restoring factory Recovery System 20+ taking hours defaults on my HP laptop from the System Recovery taking 20+ hours recovery partition bit Vista I started yesterday at about pm and its System Recovery taking 20+ hours now almost noon and still running I did not watch the recovery process closely but I did see that it made it to the bottom of a checklist in about hr and then its been on a screen with progress bars that says quot installing software quot Every so often the system will reboot and the desktop will flash for a few seconds All looks OK from glancing at the desktop but I know that does not tell me much When it reboots I do have the option of hitting escape for the start menu on the black HP screen have not tried that I'm at a loss for what to do at this point I dont think anything is wrong with the hard drive it was working fine before the attempted recovery and keeps booting fine before it goes right back to the quot installing software quot screen Could it just be stuck in some infinite loop for no good reason Is there a way to stop it and see what I got I know system recovery can take a while sometimes or more hours but at I'm starting to get concerned Thanks for any help suggestions

A:System Recovery taking 20+ hours

Lets see if it is a hardware problem
Download Ubuntu and use for a few days. If all is good, we will go into the recovery problem
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
Be sure not to install Ubuntu on the recovery partition.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293709-system-recovery-taking-20-hours.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Running Home Premium x64. There were 6 updates that needed to be installed. When I shut down the computer they began to install. It's now been at least 3 hours and it's only on 3 of 6. It says do not power off or restart your computer during the installation. Should i just wait or should I restart the computer? Will it screw anything up if I restart the computer? Also, does anyone know what these updates were for?

A:Update is taking hours to install

I wouldn't have installed them if I didn't know what they were for.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/149775-update-taking-hours-install.html
Relevancy 60.2%

it's been 5 hours now and the reset is only at 7%. Will it brick the pc tp remove the power and try and reset it?

A:Windows 8 Reset Taking Hours

Is the percentage still increasing? You do have it plugged in, correct?

When you did the reset, did you tell it to clean the drive/s or just replace your files?

It you told it to clean the drives, I am not sure how it does that, but it might take a while for the drives to be reformatted, if that is part of the procedure... Maybe someone else knows this process in more detail.

Mine (a minimal install) takes about 15 minutes if I just replace my files and around an hour if I clean the OS partition. You may no longer have the option to just replace your files.

Hard for me to say what might happen if you reset now. I suppose the final result might depend on how the reset is set up, but there is a good chance you would still have to reset the system. You might end up doing the first 5 hours over again...

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/30639-windows-8-reset-taking-hours.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Good morning,

I'm trying to install Remote Server Administrator Tools (RSAT) for Windows 7; however, the installation is taking hours. I'm unsure if this is a Windows Update related problem, since it does attempt to install KB958830 via Windows Updates, or if it's some other issues.

I've ran Windows Updates yesterday and no issue... so I'm unsure what's going on today. Any idea? Wondering if I need to take the approach of fixing Windows Updates slowness as opposed to wondering about this KB in particular. This update should not take 2+ hours. I never completed it because I've had other things to do and did not want the computer to be laggy until the installation completed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/rsat-for-windows-7-taking-hours-to-install-645261.html
Relevancy 59.77%

My laptop died and I purchased a new one with such bad luck that I had to return it two times for being deffective So this is the rd one in a row in which I am suffering the same quot torture quot After three days or so when starting Windows after shut down not suspend it will take hours with quot laptops 8 Why? taking hours. Windows new updates in configurating windows updates quot It usually stays stuck forever in done then it goes to after half an hour then to Windows 8 updates in new laptops taking hours. Why? after whatever time and then one day it just reboots and when you think it's over it starts again with more configurating A real nightmare I noticed in the Microsoft forums that this is happening to everyone specially after a few days of use of the new laptop It is annoying and actually it can even be a serious problem for people who are in a professional or personal hurry or emergency to use their computers Microsoft should warn about this let people decide if they accept having their systems blocked for unknown time for unknown reasons What do you think the reason can be It takes so long that looks like a whole Windows reinstall Actually it takes far much longer than installing Windows I think that Microsoft should apologize and give explanations

A:Windows 8 updates in new laptops taking hours. Why?

It is quite normal for the updates to take a long time, do not be alarmed if when rebooting the updates are "still" taking place for the only way some of those can be installed is after rebooting your system, sometimes more than once.
Just let the selected updates take place normally and meanwhile find something else to do.
I work with computers and every time I have to install a new OS what takes longest is the whole UPDATE process, last build I did took me close to 10 hours of updates (on a 6 MB WiFi connection) I guess on a new machine with higher hardware specs and a faster connection that whole time could be reduced by half ?..

BTW You can customize how updates take place on your machine from within control panels, Windows Updates.
I prefer being notified of the available KBs and letting me choose which ones I wanna install, automatic updates is a big no no .

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/24930-windows-8-updates-new-laptops-taking-hours-why.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Has anyone experienced this I am installing the service pack update for Windows XP and the install wizard is moving extremely slow It is to the point where it is installing files and I can see that each individual file dll s exe s etc takes about - seconds to install It has been installing like this for many hours now - almost half a day There is no option to cancel and roll back the installation buttons are all grayed out so I m just going to patiently wait for it to end Does anyone know why this would happen Here are some further details of the update First I rolled IE back to IE before hand because I was having trouble using windows update I was getting an error message before it would do anything else I tried to install with windows Taking XP Update SP3 Windows Hours Install to update through IE Windows XP SP3 Update Taking Hours to Install but that install wizard stalled while it was detecting the system configuration I was able to cancel and do rollback of the install Then I read that one of the most sure-fire ways of installing SP was Windows XP SP3 Update Taking Hours to Install to use the stand-alone download install file for it I think it was referred to as something like quot SP Network Install quot file and I downloaded it directly from Microsoft s website Then I disabled my network connection firewall anti-virus and all other programs that I could find running Windows XP SP3 Update Taking Hours to Install I checked and made sure my harddrive had enough space over Gig I did a restore point and then ran the update That was about hours ago and the progress bar is about half-way through the quot Installing files quot process As a side note I was able to install SP quickly on two other different destop systems before this without a hitch using Windows Update and IE nbsp

A:Windows XP SP3 Update Taking Hours to Install

I am not certain but it worked with SP2. Download the a trial of WinRAR. Use WinRAR to extract the entire contents of SP3 to a seperate folder. There should be an update folder inside. Open it and run setup from with in. One of our previous technicians managed to update ten network computers in under a hour this way

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-sp3-update-taking-hours-to-install.715659/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have Norton 2005 and it takes hours just to scan my computer because of all the temp internet files in content.IE5.
But i have version 6 of IE. I follow the folders to where it says the temp files are but they are not there. I need to get rid of them for IE5 as this is why it takes hours to do just a simple virus scan.
Anyone have any ideas??

Relevancy 59.77%

Dear all
i am trying to reinstall XP and it is stuck on the bit where it is installing applications - has been there for over an hour, although the screen says allow 30 mins. Can anyone suggest anything. i have sold the computer and would like to wipe it clean would it be easier to go dwn a diff route?
cheers
Busty

A:Reinstalling XP, installing applications taking hours

Reinstalling XP will not leave it clean. If you formatted your drive and then installed XP, all the files and folders that were on the drive before are still there for anyone that wants to see them. You should have erased it, too. Even freeware can recover them. The only ones that are gone are the ones that were written over by files. But that may be a very small percentage.

Not sure what you mean about "applications". Windows does not install any applications with XP setup. Did you make your own CD?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reinstalling-xp-installing-applications-taking-hours.902641/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I began a fresh install of windows 7 home premium 64 bit about 2 days ago and it still is not finished. I understand that this is supposed to take far less time, so I am hoping that someone can help me out here to figure out a solution for why it is taking so long. Let me know if there is any information that I left out that would be helpful.

A:Fresh Install of Windows 7 64 bit taking over 24 hours so far

Welcome to Seven Forums ... Should not take any longer than an hour ... Are you Installing from Disc or what is your source .... Follow the Link below to get a Clean Install ...

Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/313156-fresh-install-windows-7-64-bit-taking-over-24-hours-so-far.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Updated hP 620 running on WIN 7 to Win 10. Ran for a month or so, then automatically updated WIN 10. WIN 10 logo came up, a few swirls, and then screen turns light blue and never changes Any suggestions other than getting aWIN 7 disk and reloading WIN 7? Microsoft said itcouild take many hours to update, but the system has been up all night with no sign of progress. F keys don't do anything.  

A:System started win10 updates and locked up for hours. Eventu...

olearyvergreen Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I tend to be more cautious than other folks, especially when it comes to Win10 "Updates".For you see, the Anniversary Update (AU) is a whole NEW version of Win10.  The previous was 10586; this is 14393 -- and the community Win10 forums are awash with folks whose machines, which had previously been running Win10 without problems, SUDDENLY developed problems either trying to install this Update, or after installing this Update.My desktop has been running Win10 without problems since the earliest days of the Insider Preview over a year ago and it's sailed through Update after Update without problems.  So, you can imagine my surprise when the AU trashed my PC -- to the degree that I restored it from an image backup.At this point, you really only have two options:1) clean-install using new Win10 Media2) clean-install of Win7 using HP Recovery Media Either way, you lose all your data, settings, and apps! As to 1), you can create NEW Win10 media from this link: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help As to 2), you can look online for Recovery Media starting with the linked paged: http://support.hp.com/us-en/driversOnce there, input your Product name or number. On your Software and Drivers Download page, select your Operating System and and Version. Click "Update".  If HP Recovery Media is available for your machine, down near the bottom of the page, you will see an entry for Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB. Click the "+" symbol to expand that entry and click on Order Media for details.Or, if you prefer, you can do the same by contacting HP Customer Service:If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.htmlNOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!If HP no longer provides Recovery Media for your model, a couple of other sites you can check are: http://www.computersurgeons.com/  and http://www.restoredisks.com/ Good Luck

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/System-started-win10-updates-and-locked-up-for-hours/td-p/5745051
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey,

I have just clean installed my HP laptop back to Windows 8.1 and it started to download all the initial updates needed to keep it all running as it should which is fine. My issue, is that its currently installed update 47 or 114 and has so been running for just under 6 hours.

Should it really take it this long to install 47 updates ? bearing in mind these are installed upon "shut down" to nothing else is running in the background.

The machine is fairly powerful and has a 4th Gen i5, 8GB RAM and 1.5TB hard drive.

What gives?

Cheers

Scott

A:updates after clean install taking literally hours

thanks for moving my thread - I should really have checked the various section on the site before uploading my initial post :-)

its now on 62 out of 114 updates - how can it it be this slow ? wasn't there something about seamless updates on Windows 8's original promo materials?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/74739-updates-after-clean-install-taking-literally-hours.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I reformatted my existing disk and -re-installed windows xp pro It process Solved: hours/days taking boot-up worked finewith the rest of set up and loading applications but as soon as I re-started the PC it took hours to boot up - hours minimum I attempted to sestart a number of time cold starting it but it happens each time So I got tired and replaced the hard disk with a Solved: boot-up process taking hours/days spare hard disk I had and re-installed win xp but the with the same problem I am using standard Maxtor Solved: boot-up process taking hours/days Gb drives What happens is that when i switch on my PC I get a blank screen for a few minutes then a wide band of broekn white strip at the bottom of the screen Solved: boot-up process taking hours/days like the one one would see when pc is interrupted and re-started with a white graduated strip checking the hard disk The broad strip becomes solid gradually like a timer strip it is but takes hours Pressing the keys on the keyboard seems to speed up the process a little Please couls anyoen advise how I could resolve this problem without re-installing windows or buying a new disk drive nbsp

A:Solved: boot-up process taking hours/days

syemeh said:

I reformatted my existing disk and -re-installed windows xp pro. It worked finewith the rest of set up and loading applications but as soon as I re-started the PC, it took hours to boot up 2-3 hours minimum. I attempted to sestart a number of time cold starting it but it happens each time.

So I got tired and replaced the hard disk with a spare hard disk I had and re-installed win xp but the with the same problem. I am using standard Maxtor 120Gb drives.

What happens is that when i switch on my PC, I get a blank screen for a few minutes then a wide band of broekn white strip at the bottom of the screen (like the one one would see when pc is interrupted and re-started with a white graduated strip checking the hard disk) The broad strip becomes solid gradually like a timer strip it is but takes hours. Pressing the keys on the keyboard seems to speed up the process a little .

Please couls anyoen advise how I could resolve this problem without re-installing windows or buying a new disk drive.Click to expand...

I would denifitly say to re-install windows. Something seems to be corupted, or some files may not have copied properly.
**The white strip is normal, but it usually takes less then a minute to go to completion. It looks something like this, right? (with lllllllll being 100% filled in)

llllllllllllllllll||||||||||||||

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-boot-up-process-taking-hours-days.519048/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hey,

I have just clean installed my HP laptop back to Windows 8.1 and it started to download all the initial updates needed to keep it all running as it should which is fine. My issue, is that its currently installed update 47 or 114 and has so been running for just under 6 hours.

Should it really take it this long to install 47 updates ? bearing in mind these are installed upon "shut down" to nothing else is running in the background.

The machine is fairly powerful and has a 4th Gen i5, 8GB RAM and 1.5TB hard drive.

What gives?

Cheers

Scott

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/74739-updates-after-clean-install-taking-literally-hours.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello All,

I am in the process of rebuilding my computer and I 2 WD 500GB SATA drives in a Raid 0 configuration.

I currently have 153 GB of dada on the drive.
The disk vista defrag utilitiy has been running for about 8 hours and it still has not completed. is this abnoramal or par for the course for an Array of this size?

Thanks for the input.

-Jason

A:Vista defrag of RAID 0 taking longer than 8 hours??

Are you using Vista's defrag?

I'd recommend something like Auslogics defrag as a third party program.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/217619-vista-defrag-raid-0-taking-longer-than-8-hours.html
Relevancy 58.91%

So a a day ago I woke up turned on my computer and was surprised at how long it took to turn on It took like minutes to get to the desktop screen I have Pokki so it goes to metro for a seconds and then automatically goes to the desktop It took its sweet time trying to load steam and I ended up cancelling the load Nothing loaded except for Launchy not even the Pokki start button I was surprised so I turned it on again and it kept going slower each time I shouldn't have kept restarting but I was stupid Anyways I left the house and when I got home I restarted it twice before I decided to just let everything load I was few heck. boot, as taking Windows a 8 laggy hours to able to close the Steam startup something I'd been trying to do for some time but the computer had booted so slowly and the computer had lagged so badly I'd not been able to I couldn't even open the task manager because when I moved the mouse down to make the taskbar popup it would lag When Windows 8 taking a few hours to boot, laggy as heck. I right-clicked it would take a minute or two to open the box and when I clicked on quot task manager quot it wouldn't open because the program would time out There would be a Microsoft error pop-up box when it timed out Windows 8 taking a few hours to boot, laggy as heck. When I would get it to open it would take a long ass time to load and it crashed a few times Anyways I decided to just let it load it took - hours to open everything I opened Advanced System Care Ultimate and ran a virus check and then I went to sleep when I woke up it said that the check a full scan had run for hours and there were no problems according to the program Things were still kinda laggy but the speed of Windows 8 taking a few hours to boot, laggy as heck. the computer was the same it had been when it as first laggy So unusable laggy but not as bad as it had gotten Also it said that Windows hadn't been activated and when I tried to activate it Windows said it couldn't activate it at the time The message left after being there the whole night but things were still laggy oh and this is not the first time I have installed Windows so during the night I also left it to delete the old windows old folders it would say that it kept finding new items So even the deletion of things was sloowwww I turned on Skype and even though the internet was connected it didn't connect I turned on the troubleshooter but it would time-out I opened Google Chrome and it actually opened When that happened Skype started to work and even though things were still laggy I thought things were getting better I saw a video I left the house but I left everything on as Advanced System Care Ultimate checked for malware after having run the antivirus check the previous night When I got home the internet didn't work but the computer was almost as fast as it was before its got years and it recently fell but there hadn't been any problems until that day ACTUALLY I don't know if this started before or after it fell it wasn't from a high place but the loading screen had been lagging for some time I ran the troubleshooter and it worked this time it said that the Diagnostics Policy wasn't working So the internet stopped working in the - hours I was gone Pokki still hadn't loaded I went to PC settings and I tried to change the Lock Screen for no reason and it didn't work I tried changing the account picture and that didn't work either I'm at a loss not sure whats happening to my computer but its almost as fast as it once was Its been on for a day and a few hours and I'm not sure what to do Its kinda useless Also I can't open gifs because Photos isn't working So thats my wall of text guys and gals any ideas

A:Windows 8 taking a few hours to boot, laggy as heck.

That single paragraph killed me. Couldn't even read all of it to be honest.

Restore, SFC, DISM, reset, refresh? My eyes hurt.

Honestly, I didn't even read most of it.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/31643-windows-8-taking-few-hours-boot-laggy-heck.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I had a hours no spikes [RESOLVED] taking cpu with plus results; 50-70% Update laptop sitting around that I hadn't used for about years But I was inspired to pull it out because I had Win on it and figured it wouldn't hurt to try Win on it before I decide whether to finally upgrade my desktop to However I wanted to update my Win install and take a backup before doing the upgrade to To start with the laptop a Lenovo X was still PRE-SP Win Ult x At that point Windows Update was working It prompted me to update the Update client and after doing so I ended up with a list Update taking hours with no results; cpu 50-70% plus spikes [RESOLVED] of aout important updates So I selected all of them and let it go Well that didn't work It downloaded and installed and on reboot it configured and then quot failed quot and began quot reverting changes quot To be honest with so many updates I wasn't that surprised Still that was a few hours wasted So I went back into Windows Updates and selected about at a time and did this about times Rebooting in between each set And at least one of those times another update for the client was required While that had been going on I had been doing some googling and found eventually got the SP downloaded It was after the SP was installed that windows update completely stopped working for me I tried manually installing various different update fixes and then would let quot looking for updates quot run for anywhere from minutes to hours But I never got any results or messages or progress I did manually get the convenience rollup package downloaded and installed but even after that windows update still wasn't working at all I ended up trying lots of other things and after browsing multiple topics here there is a set of things I did after which Windows Update is now working System Update Readiness Tool KB it returned no errors sfc scannow - this did return a message about some corrupt files kb kb I don't know which of those things made the greatest difference Obviously corrupt files could certainly have been the main problem but who really knows What I can say is that right now it is working fine Even though my problem is quot solved quot I wanted to post to add to reinforce to others that the steps that you are requested to do before posting about your problem are important and may help you out Anyway I'll be doing my backup now And thanks to the regular posters here who give help

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/396599-update-taking-hours-no-results-cpu-50-70-plus-spikes-resolved.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Usually my cpu is at 20-40% but now its at over 90% and there is barely anything running not to mention my laptop is heating up and slow. What do I do?

A:'system' process taking up almost 50% of cpu since I installed Win10

bump

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588085/system-process-taking-up-almost-50-of-cpu-since-i-installed-win10/
Relevancy 58.48%

Still dealing with the Optiplex 780. I have not installed a single windows update since I got it, it just sits there all day "checking for updates". I initiated it around 1, it is now past 8:30 and it still has not done anything. it still says "Most recent check for updates: Never" "Updates were installed: Never" I am stuck with the bare bones Windows 7 SP1. There is not a single update in the update history or anything. It just will not install updates, going very slow, and/or taking forever. What can I do?

A:"Checking for updates" not working or very slow/taking forever (7 hours now)

Worth a look, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104 .

Louis

Cached

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/610623/checking-for-updates-not-working-or-very-slowtaking-forever-7-hours-now/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello,

I received the free win 10 upgrade from an invitation to reserve the upgrade. The other day, a Ransomware hit me, and though I believe I may have immediately tracked & deleted all affected files I could find, I hardly believe I could be so skilled as to be successful.

I had this happen last year, and ended up formatting the unit, and reloading Win 7. I don't want to have to go back to 7, but how do I get another Win 10? Is there a key I need to find & save? A free site that I can get a copy on a flash drive to load from? Any help would be appreciated. I have no clue how to proceed since it's an online download, and once formatted, the unit won't be able to get online without the OS

Thanks

A:I have Win10 from upgrade, must reformat PC. How do I get Win10 again?

you can download the newest build of windows 10 > http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

boot from the setup media - remove every partition (wipe) the HDD

and clean install widows 10

since you already had win7 and windows 10 on that PC - if asked for product key - just skip that screen

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/32366-i-have-win10-upgrade-must-reformat-pc-how-do-i-get-win10-again.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I finally upgraded my laptop from a Win7 to Win10. I already backed up my important files and planned to reset the laptop to its factory settings (I chose the "Reset the PC, clean all drives" option for quick reset, not the one for recycling the PC). I reset the laptop and then it is still going until now for like 30+hours and it is still in the "Resetting this PC 16%" stage but the loading circle is still moving. Is there anything I can do at this period? I didn't expect it to take this long.  Heres my PC specs: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03086806 This laptop is an original Win7 OS which was upgraded to Win10.Any help and assistance are appreciated. Thank you!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Resetting-PC-taking-too-long-Upgraded-Win7-PC-to-Win10/td-p/5709377
Relevancy 58.05%

I finally upgraded my laptop from a Win7 to Win10. I already backed up my important files and planned to reset the laptop to its factory settings (I chose the "Reset the PC, clean all drives" option for quick reset, not the one for recycling the PC). I reset the laptop and then it is still going until now for like 30+hours and it is still in the "Resetting this PC 16%" stage but the loading circle is still moving. Is there anything I can do at this period? I didn't expect it to take this long.  Heres my PC specs: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03086806 This laptop is an original Win7 OS which was upgraded to Win10.Any help and assistance are appreciated. Thank you!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Resetting-PC-taking-too-long-Upgraded-Win7-PC-to-Win10/td-p/5709373
Relevancy 58.05%

i have been trying to fix my laptop (dell studio xps 15'') for the past 4 days. it takes 1 hour 30 min to start. and then when finally it gets into windows it suddenly crashes.
i tried to do the disabling services and restart but i kept getting win32k.sys BSOD after waiting for 1.3 hours (before the logon screen is displayed).
moreover accessing SAFE mode was difficult since the BSOD keeps appearing there too.

had used windows recovery disk to do startup repairs but even that didn't help.(unknown bugcheck 1000008e is what it showed and resolved)
finally i tried "windows memory diagnostic tool" and luckily after again 1.3 hours after the completion of the test, i could access windows.
i tried many times before to save a restore point but it gets deleted after a restart.

Am attaching the sfc log along with the other essentials you would require.

Thank you for your patience.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/304287-boot-time-taking-1-3-hours-load-followed-frequent-freezing-crashes.html
Relevancy 56.76%

What updates from MS am I looking for to delete so that I can stay with windows 8.1; which I love and not let MS sneak windows 10 into my setup ?What numbers am I looking for to delete fast  -  thanks

Relevancy 56.76%

This morning I have the dreaded 'Upgrade to W ' showing in Windows Update I HAVE DONE NOTHING TO INVITE Upgrade ME. to FORCED UPON W10 THIS I never accepted the invitation for W and used Shawns Upgrade to W10 FORCED UPON ME. reg tweak to remove the GWX icon a few months ago Yesterday I did install KB update to Windows Upgrade to W10 FORCED UPON ME. Update BUT NOT KB which was another W compatibility update Has KB some other hidden function MICROSOFT THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE I do not want W on this PC This PC has not been able to install W Dell say this PC is not suitable for W Whinging here won't achieve anything I know that but I am seriously considering rolling back to way before all this W stuff started and turning OFF Windows Update I WANT THE W THAT I PAID FOR OUT OF MY OWN MONEY W makes me feel that the PC isn't mine anymore I have no control over what Microsoft are foisting on me I would have liked to have seen an opt out update be issued that would take users like myself out of the W loop EDIT One important bit of info I have Windows Update set to notify only Seems that was no barrier in this case

A:Upgrade to W10 FORCED UPON ME.

You should let it go through and then get a lawyer and sue them for loss of productive time loss of data, emotional pain and what ever else comes to mind. No should mean NO! Maybe hacking laws or what ever could apply, because they are making unwanted changes.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/71513-upgrade-w10-forced-upon-me.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Howdy folks, hope everyone is doing well.

A couple of weeks ago I suddenly got a countdown timer to Win 8.1 upgrade. I didn't choose to upgrade and there was no way to abort that I could find. I was due a free upgrade on this laptop but hadn't taken advantage of it as I was just fine with Windows 8 & feared having problems with the upgrade.

Since the forced upgrade I"m having longer shut down and start up times, longer waking from hibernation, problems with the mouse, and some other assorted weirdness.

So why & how was this upgrade forced on me? Are there some tweaks that would help with the problems I'm having?

A:Forced 8.1 upgrade

I would suggest upgrading your hardware drivers, if Win 8.1 drivers are available. Toshiba support web site should have the new drivers for you.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/56499-forced-8-1-upgrade.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello This is my first time posting here so please forgive me if this isn't the right place I have an HP Pavillion TouchSmart All-In-One PC with Windows Like everyone else in the world I keep getting notifications that Windows is free in the store But I don't want to Upgrade Windows 8.1? Forced to upgrade to so I just dismiss Forced Upgrade to Windows 8.1? the messages and carry on with life A moment ago I was at the computer working Forced Upgrade to Windows 8.1? and a bar popped up across the screen but this Forced Upgrade to Windows 8.1? time it said that Windows was ready to install and the computer was going to restart in hours to complete the installation It stated that the computer would restart or times and I wouldn't be able to use it for - minutes I wasn't planning to upgrade so I haven't run any of the recommended compatibility tools or anything to prepare for it I went into the store and there it was stating that it was downloaded and ready to install It gave me the option to cancel the install which I did My question is Why did this happen without any authorization from me And how do I stop it from happening again I'm quite concerned that had this happened in the middle of the night when I wasn't here to prevent it I could've woken up to and potentially incompatible software and drivers and such Thanks Kathy

A:Forced Upgrade to Windows 8.1?

My first question would be, why wouldn't you upgrade?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/53755-forced-upgrade-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 56.33%

On 7-28-2015 Win 10 tried and failed to install on my win 7 computer as evidenced in WU installed updates log. This happened without my knowledge or my permission. Previously to this unwanted and unsolicited attempt to install I have either not installed or uninstalled every update that relates to the win 10 installation which have been posted here on the forum.

At the root of my C drive there still exists a 3.91 GB file entitled $Windows.~BT which contains the win 10 installer.

I have 3 basic questions:

1) Should I be concerned that win 10 will make more unsolicited attempts to install in the future?

2) Will Win 10 ever be able to successfully install without the precursor updates installed?

3) Is there any safe way to remove the $Windows.~BT folder from taking up almost 4GB on my C drive or will MS simply replace it again without my permission?

Maxx

A:win 10 upgrade forced on win 7 computer

About all I can offer is my sympathy, and you've got it. I was horrified to discover that hidden directory, too.

The recommendations in this thread helped me: How to remove Windows 10 upgrade updates in Windows 7 and 8

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/380499-win-10-upgrade-forced-win-7-computer.html
Relevancy 56.33%

There has been a horrible rumor going around for some time now and its even hitting MY game forums. Naturally, i would ignore rumors like this but then my members started to complain and started leaving due to incompatibility issues (Because i haven't updated it work with windows 10) so i've decided to turn my attention towards this issue. For the time being i've shut the forums down due to stress from the matter.I'm told people are being forced to upgrade to windows 10 ,Worse the update just pops up out of nowhere and starts downloading without being able to stop it. Is it true that windows 10 is forcing its way onto people's PCs? Of course being in the windows 7 - Windows 8.1 zone i'm not safe. Personally i do NOT want windows 10 and i'm actually anti - windows 10 right now for several reasons.

A:Forced Windows 10 Upgrade?

Hello Raven,

You can easily disable it if you like.

Upgrade to Windows 10 Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

Get Windows 10 Icon - Remove from Taskbar in Windows 7 and 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/74087-forced-windows-10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 56.33%

There has been a horrible rumor going around for some time now and its even hitting MY game forums. Naturally, i would ignore rumors like this but then my members started to complain and started leaving due to incompatibility issues (Because i haven't updated it work with windows 10) so i've decided to turn my attention towards this issue. For the time being i've shut the forums down due to stress from the matter.I'm told people are being forced to upgrade to windows 10 ,Worse the update just pops up out of nowhere and starts downloading without being able to stop it. Is it true that windows 10 is forcing its way onto people's PCs? Of course being in the windows 7 - Windows 8.1 zone i'm not safe. Personally i do NOT want windows 10 and i'm actually anti - windows 10 right now for several reasons.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/74087-forced-windows-10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 56.33%

My current computer is admittedly very primitive I always go completely generic from a computer store this way I am not forced to go to specifically one company Acer Dell HP etc for problems that may arise I currently have the current setup ASUS P V X-MX Motherboard Intel Socket Intel ghz Socket CPU GB Kingston RAM -pin DIMM upgrade to Vista? to Forced ATI Radeon X AGP x video card k Conexant dial-up modem for an emergency if my cable company ever has a major service interruption CMedia CMI A on-board Audio Logitech EX Wireless keyboard mouse combo Two Western Digital ATA WD JB GB Hard drives Lite-On DVD-RW SOHW- Plextor CD-RW PX-W A HP Deskjet Printer HP Scanjet Sony SDM-S quot the printer connects via a PARALLEL port to show how old my motherboard is I am running Windows XP Professional with SP My installation CD includes SP I am finally at Forced to upgrade to Vista? the point where I believe I need to upgrade my video graphics card capabilities mainly for gaming purposes but also for movie DVD s and any other utility program I might buy down the road which is graphics-heavy Unfortunately AGP x compatibility is pretty much nil these days I ve done some window-shopping on a few hardware sites I know and found some complete desktop models that are within my affordability range The problem is they all come with Windows Vista pre-installed I am still not satisfied that this is a good choice for me besides I worry about putting my current hard drives into a new computer If I take the Vista HD out completely and put in my two HD s with XP installed at the very least I would be forced to reinstall Windows XP on both hard drives but would they be able to handle a Socket Motherboard with a Core Duo or Quad-Core CPU for example I have some SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash drives each with or GB capacity that I ve been using to store data files that I ve collected over many years and really do not want to lose So with my data files backed up and the program files a simple matter of re-installing the question becomes as follows --If I remove the HD that has Vista installed and put in my two WD JB hard drives I can re-install Windows XP without too much problem but would they be able to handle a vastly more powerful motherboard CPU and RAM chips --Can I ask a store to provide a model that does NOT have Windows Vista pre-installed Would they grant such a request yes I realize this would be a question I should ask the store in question but have any of you had any luck with such a request --Would it be cheaper to just collect the components for a new computer and put one together I m not so sure about this as I can get pre-assembled desktops for about while a Core Duo CPU alone will cost around or Still this option allows me to get the pieces over time a few each month I do NOT need state-of-the-art I m using a motherboard with an AGP video slot and parallel port for Pete s sake and even if I DID want it we all know the old adage that state-of-the-art components become outdated halfway through its DEVELOPMENT they ll be working on the quot T quot and the quot T quot at the same time If I did get one of the models with Vista pre-installed a lot of the posts I ve read decrying Vista are themselves outdated many having been posted in June or July of That s almost a full year ago how much has Vista improved since then if at all I am reluctant to ask a salesperson these questions because they want to make a sale and collect money from the customer so they will sing the praises of anything I m even remotely considering regardless of how many problems it gives dissatisfied consumers Another thing if I get a computer with Vista pre-installed do they give me a Vista installation CD If something catastrophic happens I do not want to be forced to go through a week of down-time while the OS is re-installed at a computer shop or else be absolutely forced to shell out an extra for the software that I ve had since day The last time I bought a whole compute... Read more

A:Forced to upgrade to Vista?

NYCaribou said:

My current computer is admittedly very primitive. I always go completely generic from a computer store, this way I am not forced to go to specifically one company (Acer, Dell, HP, etc.) for problems that may arise. I currently have the current setup:

ASUS P4V8X-MX Motherboard (Intel Socket 478)
Intel 3.0 ghz Socket 478 CPU
2 GB Kingston RAM (184-pin DIMM)
ATI Radeon X700 AGP 8x video card
56k Conexant dial-up modem (for an emergency if my cable company ever has a major service interruption)
CMedia CMI9671A on-board Audio
Logitech EX110 Wireless keyboard/mouse combo
Two Western Digital ATA100 WD3200JB 320 GB Hard drives
Lite-On DVD-RW SOHW-12135
Plextor CD-RW PX-W1610A
HP Deskjet 8435 Printer
HP Scanjet 4370
Sony SDM-S73 17"

(the printer connects via a PARALLEL port, to show how old my motherboard is).

I am running Windows XP Professional with SP/2 (My installation CD includes SP2).

I am finally at the point where I believe I need to upgrade my video/graphics card capabilities, mainly for gaming purposes but also for movie DVD's and any other utility program I might buy down the road which is graphics-heavy. Unfortunately AGP8x compatibility is pretty much nil these days. I've done some window-shopping on a few hardware sites I know and found some complete desktop models that are within my affordability range.

The problem is they all come with Windows Vista pre-installed. I am still not satisfied that this is a good choice for me; besides, I worry about putting my current hard drives into a new computer. If I take the Vista HD out completely and put in my two HD's with XP installed, at the very least I would be forced to reinstall Windows XP on both hard drives... but would they be able to handle a Socket 775 Motherboard with a Core Duo or Quad-Core CPU, for example? I have some SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash drives, each with 1 or 2 GB capacity that I've been using to store data files that I've collected over many years and really do not want to lose. So with my data files backed up and the program files a simple matter of re-installing, the question becomes as follows.

--If I remove the HD that has Vista installed, and put in my two WD 3200JB hard drives, I can re-install Windows XP without too much problem, but would they be able to handle a vastly more powerful motherboard, CPU and RAM chips?

--Can I ask a store to provide a model that does NOT have Windows Vista pre-installed? Would they grant such a request?

(yes I realize this would be a question I should ask the store in question... but have any of you had any luck with such a request?)

--Would it be cheaper to just collect the components for a new computer and put one together? I'm not so sure about this as I can get pre-assembled desktops for about $800.... while a Core Duo CPU alone, will cost around $300 or $400. Still, this option allows me to get the pieces over time, a few each month. I do NOT need state-of-the-art (I'm using a motherboard with an AGP video slot and parallel port, for Pete's sake), and even if I DID want it, we all know the old adage that state-of-the-art components become outdated halfway through its DEVELOPMENT.... they'll be working on the "T5" and the "T6" at the same time.

If I did get one of the models with Vista pre-installed.... a lot of the posts I've read decrying Vista are themselves outdated.... many having been posted in June or July of 2007. That's almost a full year ago.... how much has Vista improved since then, if at all?

I am reluctant to ask a salesperson these questions because they want to make a sale and collect money from the customer so they will sing the praises of anything I'm even remotely considering, regardless of how many problems it gives dissatisfied consumers.

Another thing... if I get a computer with Vista pre-installed, do they give me a Vista installation CD? If something catastrophic happen... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/forced-to-upgrade-to-vista.700181/
Relevancy 56.33%

Recently I was forced to upgrade my Window 8 pro computers to 8.1. After the upgrade I no longer have the pro version with the new 8.1 OS . What is the remedy to this issue. I purchased the pro options for Win 8 but find no path to Win 8.1 Pro other than another purchase. Your advice and support is greatly appreciated.

A:Forced upgrade help needed

usually it is control panel > add features > already have key > enter pro key..

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/63280-forced-upgrade-help-needed.html
Relevancy 55.04%

A short video from Barnacules Nerdgasm explaining Windows 10 forced upgrade. I like his rants about M$ as he is an ex M$ employee

A:Forced Microsoft Windows 10 Upgrade Explained

aye, I like his 'rants' also ... Windows 10 is fine, MS are more evil than Google.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/forced-microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-explained.4070601/
Relevancy 54.61%

There are a few registry hacks and rd party windows 7 upgrade forced 10 easy pop 8 8.1 install up stop installs that can do this but I was hesitant to easy stop windows 10 upgrade install 8 8.1 7 forced pop up install even an supposedly known-safe easy stop windows 10 upgrade install 8 8.1 7 forced pop up rd party thing and I never had to mess with the registry It has been suggested what I am about to suggest but in a sort of different way possibly There's a bunch of ways if you google this but basically what I do is quite easy My pc got to the point where it wouldn't install important updates without installing W I had to force shut off my machine by holding the power button down not safe because there was no option to turn off without installing W first I eventually gave in and tried W Complete garbage don't get me started I did the Roll Back thing and got back to though The pop up happens immediately again You might have to go with the install again but you can just click Decline as soon as you see it it will 'clean up install files' and go away for a little while at least Then just go to windows update settings and change it so you have to manually check for and download and install updates If you select that windows downloads all updates but you decide when to install them it might not work as well You just have to get into the habit of manually making sure you get your windows defender and all other important updates Hopefully by july when the W free upgrade expires it will finally stop and you can set updates as automatic When you check for updates and then see the W update as an optional update uncheck the box but keep checked the things you want to install Windows defender apparently doesn't work all the time when checking for updates through defender the updates are under windows update

A:easy stop windows 10 upgrade install 8 8.1 7 forced pop up

This registry or group policy option in this tutorial is pretty straight forward, it disables the ability to upgrade through windows update,

Upgrade to Windows 10 Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

Call it a hack if you want but it's still the best option.

Change your update settings to this,

I never had anything even remotely forced, even on a couple W7 computers, I just unchecked the box to give me recommended the same as important.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/74499-easy-stop-windows-10-upgrade-install-8-8-1-7-forced-pop-up.html
Relevancy 54.61%

According to a message posted on February 9th at the MSN Messenger download site, all users on 6.1 and 6.2 are being forced to upgrade to the latest build or be 'blocked' from the service.

Microsoft addresses it here.
Microsoft in their infinite wisdom took down the link.

http://messenger.msn.com/feature/msgr3.aspx

Relevancy 54.61%

I m not sure if this should go here or in the Vista forums I have an HP Pavilion dv us Notebook thats a year out any waranty coverage I had The computer was crashing alot running slow etc so I thought it would be a good idea to run system restore I popped Upgrade!!?!?!? Forced Vista Restore Failed, System in restore disc of and rebooted System Restore Failed, Forced Vista Upgrade!!?!?!? the computer Sytem restore ran like it should have until it got to the point where i needed to insert the second disc Then it shut off powering on the system resulted in quot NTLDR is missing quot even when trying to boot from the recovery disc I tried this numerous times when I got the idea to borrow a recovery disc from a friend for a ZT Systems PC with Vista Home Premium The disc worked but its bit Vista so several of my drivers and hardware were not compatable I tried to run MY restore discs and got the same result again and reloaded Vista This copy of Vista is only good for another days or so and I m about to try the Release Candidate for Windows bit just so I don t have to worry about getting a new OS license Is there any way to get back to the XP setup my notebook was intended to have Also a call to HP tech support had no positive results I could have just been saying the wrong things but the three people I spoke too didn t inspire any great confidence nbsp

A:System Restore Failed, Forced Vista Upgrade!!?!?!?

When you installed vista, did you format the hdd before the install? If so, then you may have deleted the original XP OS that was on the hdd. If not, there may be a way to delete the vista OS and get back to XP. Let me get back to you with a little more details. I got to research that for you, because I have read something like that being done not too long ago.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-failed-forced-vista-upgrade.842473/
Relevancy 54.18%

I am not sure if I have win 8.1 pro or win 8.1Says 8.1 pro in mscinfo but doesnt allow me to install win 8.1 pro features. Anyway that is not the issue I am writing about. Issue is , I had my laptop crashed 1 month after I installed Win 10. it required HD replacement by HP, at which stage I was told not to ugrade to win 10 as my laptop will not handle it. My Question is:free upgrade to wn 10 ends soon.what happens when my OS will no longer be supported by MSWhat is actually the problem that causes HP notebooks to crash? Is there a feature in win 10 that can be turned off to avoid causing the crash?Atleast we can keep up with the updates!! Need some help to understand what the actual issue is and if there has been some workaround found by now.SD

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Win10-upgrade-deadline-arrived-cannot-upgrade-what-next/td-p/5688369
Relevancy 53.75%

Serves them right Woman wins judgment against judgment Windows upgrade wins for against $10,000 Woman Microsoft forced 10 Microsoft for forced Windows upgrade By Joel Hruska on June at am For months we ve cataloged continued user resistance to Microsoft s Windows upgrade policies the Woman wins $10,000 judgment against Microsoft for forced Windows 10 upgrade company s increasing attempts to shove users to adopt the OS and its occasional backtrack when its own policies went too far It seems that at least one customer took the fight to court and won a small judgment against the company for how it deployed its latest operating system The Seattle Times reports that Teri Goldstein of Sausalito California sued Microsoft after a failed Windows upgrade left her system performing poorly prone Woman wins $10,000 judgment against Microsoft for forced Windows 10 upgrade to crashing and reportedly unusable for multiple days Given the general issues associated with performing in-place upgrades even successful ones it s not surprising that some users would run into problems Goldstein reached out to Microsoft customer service to attempt to resolve her issues but filed suit against the company once it failed to resolve her problems Her figure reflected estimated lost compensation as well as the cost of a new system Microsoft had appealed the initial judgment but dropped that appeal last month A spokesperson for the company told the Seattle Times that it denied any wrongdoing and had dropped the appeal to avoid the additional expense of further litigation One judgment against Microsoft isn t going to make a blip in the company s financial earnings or its overall Windows trajectory But it neatly caps a year of self-inflicted damage regarding Windows and Microsoft s free upgrade The repeated changes to Windows s upgrade policy mandatory telemetry collection and decisions to kill off patch notes and make all updates mandatory plus the issues with UWP and gaming have collectively left a bad taste in many users mouths None of these are fundamental reasons to stop using Windows but they speak to the company s profound trouble communicating what ought to be a winning strategy The Windows giveaway was a great concept and the entire process could ve been handled in a way that made people want to switch Instead Microsoft has been dragging people into upgrading in much the same way you might grab a cat and drag it off for a bath Woman wins judgment against Microsoft for forced Windows upgrade ExtremeTech

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/woman-wins-10-000-judgment-against-microsoft-for-forced-windows-10-upgrade-1142082.html
Relevancy 51.17%

My laptop running fine on windows until it attempted an upgrade to it took like than hours windows more 12 no luck for 8 to 8.1 upgrade hours for the PC to state that it could not complete the installation and windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade no luck for more than 12 hours its Where to start My laptop running fine on windows until it attempted an upgrade to windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade no luck for more than 12 hours it took like hours for the PC to state that it could not complete the installation and its restoring it to its previous state windows restoring it to its previous state windows More than hours passed and all I see on the screen is please wait do not turn off the computer More than hours passed windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade no luck for more than 12 hours and all I see on the screen is please wait do not turn off the computer I can not access the boot menu after pressing shift and f twice I can not access the boot menu after pressing shift and f twice I tried loading details up default three times and the same screen message I tried loading details up default three times and the same screen message What to do now as more importantly are files I don't want to loose

A:windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade no luck for more than 12 hours

If it was mine, I would shut it off & restart it.
Maybe someone else will offer their thoughts.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/51025-windows-8-8-1-upgrade-no-luck-more-than-12-hours.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Your help on this would be greatly appreciated. Win8 for me, thus far, has been a bust

A:4 BSOD's in first 24 hours after upgrade from Win7

Only 1 memory dump in the uploaded reports. If using a disk cleanup utility (like CCleaner), please stop while we're troubleshooting.

Your BIOS dates from 2011. Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your system. Also check the readme file to see if they apply to the problems that you are having. Please be advised that flashing the BIOS is a very unforgiving process - and one mistake can physically damage your motherboard.

The system has a slight overclock. If you're using a Turbo setting or some other such auto-performance settings - please stop while we're troubleshooting. Feel free to resume it once the system has been stabilized.

Only 25 Windows Updates installed. Most systems have 40 or more. Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

H: drive only has about 12% free space. Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance. Please free up 15% on all hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty)

You have 3 hard drives. What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?

This device is disabled:

Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64 ROOT\NET\0000 This device is disabled.

Please either remove it from your system, or enable it/update it/then disable it again.

This appears to be an upgrade to Win8. Have you checked all of your applications/devices for compatibility with Win8? You can do it here: Windows Compatibility Center: Find Updates, Drivers, & Downloads for Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows 7

Please update these older drivers. Links are included to assist in looking up the source of the drivers. If unable to find an update, please remove (un-install) the program responsible for that driver. DO NOT manually delete/rename the driver as it may make the system unbootable! :

P1370Aud.sys Mon Dec 5 10:30:17 2005 (43945D09)
Likely to be Creative Audio drivers
P1370Aud.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.

P1370Aul.sys Tue Dec 6 10:59:47 2005 (4395B573)
P1370Aul.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.

Afc.sys Wed Jul 12 01:48:20 2006 (44B48D24)
Arcsoft(R) ASPI Shell (CD/DVD program)
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=Afc.sys

P1370Vfx.sys Mon Mar 5 05:55:47 2007 (45EBF733)
P1370Vfx.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.

P1370Vid.sys Tue Mar 27 22:54:19 2007 (4609D8DB)

P1370Vid.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.

P1370Afx.sys Mon Apr 2 01:11:09 2007 (4610906D)
P1370Afx.sys - this driver hasn't been added to the DRT as of this run. Please search Google/Bing for the driver if additional information is needed.

PxHlpa64.sys Tue Jun 23 19:16:35 2009 (4A416253)
Sonic CD/DVD driver (used by many different CD/DVD programs)
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=PxHlpa64.sys

truecrypt.sys Sun Sep 5 10:23:16 2010 (4C83A7D4)
TrueCrypt driver
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=truecrypt.sys

HECIx64.sys Tue Oct 19 19:33:43 2010 (4CBE2AD7)
Intel Management Engine Interface
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=HECIx64.sys

LHidFilt.Sys Fri Sep 2 02:... Read more

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/20072-4-bsods-first-24-hours-after-upgrade-win7.html
Relevancy 51.17%

It says it is at 32% and has been stuck there for HOURS! Is there a way to either re-start it or delete it?

A:Windows 10 Upgrade stuck at 32% for hours?

Look:https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...as a similar suggestion on this post:http://www.computing.net/answers/wi...as this might help you also.You have to be a little bit crazy to keep you from going insane.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/windows-10-upgrade-stuck-at-32-for-hours/124.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi There!

I have a I7 920, with 12GB DDR3-1600 Memory, 2 x 300GB Raptors in a RAID 0, 1 x 300GB standalone and 640GB Standalone, and a ATI 4870x2 video card. I am upgrading using a DVD, and basically it's taken 7 hours before I aborted the upgrade (62% completed migrating folders and files). All my other upgrades have gone reasonably quickly (Though not as quickly as some other installs and upgrades seem to go on lesser hardware) though the other 6 builds I have run. I don't really want to run a fresh install, can anyone suggest a solution? Does W7 not really like ICHR10?

A:7137 Upgrade 7 hours and counting

Try doing it with only 2gb ram install, during installation, put addition ram back in after it cycles & completes. Disconnect any un-necessary USB devices, USB camera, etc. They will install, later

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/11566-7137-upgrade-7-hours-counting.html
Relevancy 51.17%

my pc is   HP TouchSmart tm2-2150ca Notebook PC       with win7.   tried to upgrade to win 10  but failed.   ideas?   Thanks!

A:win10 upgrade

Hi, Do you know what is the error message ? No error message we or Microsoft won't be able to help. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/win10-upgrade/td-p/5610594
Relevancy 51.17%

My wife's computer could not upgrade to win 10 cause it had an old video card. I upgrade motherboard and video card. Win 7 is registered, but can not upgrade. The free upgrade tool still shows the other video card. Tried the media creation tool and still goes back to the upgrade box with the old card. Is there anyway to erase that upgrade box and redue it?

A:Help with win10 upgrade

Check for any left over files or drivers from your old video card. Windows is still finding it somewhere. Check your device manager 1st just to see if its listing 2 video cards, then check your program folders for any left overs. Also just for backup reasons, download a program on this forum called Showkey which will give you the information on your currant Windows Key, incase you need it to upgrade to Windows 10.
Showkey

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/35032-help-win10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 51.17%

At the moment there is a promotion up to 29 July to upgrade to win10 from win7 home premium 64bit ok
So I downloaded the Microsoft upgrade assistant to win 10 and all ok. But it get stuck at 99% and stop there ok
Then the worst is it is a hell of a job to get win7 back cause it comes up with a black screen ok
Contacted Microsoft and told me to contact you to help me solve this issue
Already contacted you through twitter few days ago but no reply
Thanks if you try to solve this problem before expires tnx
mind you get stuck 99% during installing ok
contacted Microsoft and told me to get in touch with you maybe you already came through such a problem
please thanks for trying to solve before promotion expires
regards
John Mifsud
product serial # [personal information removed]

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrade-to-win10/td-p/5690815
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi Folks,

I just found this on my Laptop.

Windows 10 Specifications.pdf

A:Win10 upgrade is not possible.

Hi,
Not sure why you wouldn't just use this to fill in your system spec's page instead of posting a pdf :/
System Info - See Your System Specs

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/375534-win10-upgrade-not-possible.html
Relevancy 51.17%

When Win10 was released, I was offline.
Now I can't upgrade! I've reserved an upgrade, but it won't ask me to upgrade!

A:Can't upgrade to Win10

Welcome to the forum,

It hasn't asked me yet either, but that doesn't mean you can't upgrade.

You can do it manually, starting at step three here,

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/377550-cant-upgrade-win10.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have an older laptop (probably 6-7 years old, Dell Inspiron running Windows 7) and its been running fairly slow lately. I saw a notice that today is the last day to upgrade to Win10 for free. Just looking for some good advice on whether or not I should even consider upgrading.

My first thought is that, with an older machine, I probably have a lot of junk on my hard drive causing the slowness so I need to clean it up (which means I'll miss the "today is the last day" bit...but do I really care?). I also think maybe my processor won't be able to handle the new version, but not sure if that's really a concern or not.

Can I ask for some advice? Thanks

A:Should I upgrade to Win10?

I saw a notice that today is the last day to upgrade to Win10 for free.Click to expand...

it not - July 2016 is
whats the exact model and also the service tag number
make sure there are windows 10 drivers available for the PC

you could always make a recovery set of DVDs (if you havent already , and i would advise you make them anyway) and do a windows 7 clean install

you may have a lot of startups or even malware on the PC slowing it down

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/should-i-upgrade-to-win10.1163500/
Relevancy 51.17%

When I upgrade my 32 bit win 7 computer to win 10 can I choose to upgrade to 64 bit win 10?

A:Upgrade from 32 bit win 7 to 64 bit win10

You cannot do an in place upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. Going from 32-bit to 64-bit requires a clean install.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/56098-upgrade-32-bit-win-7-64-bit-win10.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 10 on the hp 110-414 have you got any problems or bugs with it and is it running well on it and do you think I should upgrade

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Hp 110-414 Win10 Upgrade

Because you may find that you need to install the Windows 10 driver for it after upgrading. With most notebooks there are two or three different adapters that could be installed. It helps to what is installed in yours.  Use the search functiion in the forum and search for windows 10 wifi driver. You will notice that many members did not take the time to either locate the driver or know what is installed. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Hp-110-414-Win10-Upgrade/td-p/5579588
Relevancy 50.31%

As has been my practice for many years, back to Windows 3.1, about every six months I wipe my hard drive and reinstall everything. Up to and including version 7, this process usually completed in 2-3 hours.

Six months ago I installed 8 on my laptop and upgraded to 8.1. Today I wiped my SSD and reinstalled the original version 8. The subsequent update process and upgrade to 8.1 involved 202 downloads for 2.1GB and took 10 hours. After installing application software I went to restart my machine and noticed the desktop "Shutdown" now has no simple "Restart" option only "Update and restart". As I tried to restart my machine, a screen missive appeared: "9 downloads installing. Do not turn off your computer". I did, turn off. This in spite of the fact I have automatic updates switched off. There was no explanation or description regarding the subject downloads.

Is my experience unique? Is this MS's vision of progress?

A:Windows 8 install: 10 hours to update and upgrade to 8.1

I always do what you did but differently and it saves me all those hours. Honestly, I would not blame MS for this. Each month or whenever necessary they come out with a new build of Windows 8/8.1 and they will include all new updates, that would cut down the time to re-install your Windows. It is just you own an old Version of Windows that was built 6 months or earlier ago. In addition, the online updates take a long time depending on the speed of your Internet, yours is just up to 10 MB/s and also depend on how busy their server is then you are not getting 10MB/s download speed. Further more, It also depend on how fast your laptop is etc...

For future reference, here's what I suggest you to do:
After installation of Windows 8 + 8.1 Updates + Activation.Defrag and shrink your SSD to 80 GB for Windows and the rest for data storage to keep them separated. From the elevated command prompt, run:
- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- sfc /scannowUsing Macrium Reflect Free to make a backup image of the 80GB partition to an external HD. For a freshly installation of Windows, it would take about 10GB. Macrium is a good free backup software and never once fails me. The user manual is also here: Macrium User Manual
Note: make sure to use a USB stick to create a Macrium Rescue disk.Go ahead and install the rest of your application programs. Clean, tweak, turn off all unnecessary services, registry etc..
Again, run the 2 commands in step 2 and make another backup.Repeat step 4 if you install any other applications
The advantage of doing this is you always have a backup to go back to in case you have a virus attack, ad ware, spy ware ... and in some case, you lose the activation. You just have to restore the Windows partition and that should not take long before you can go back online.
For me, since I use a desktop and I over clocked it, it only take 4~5 minutes to restore a 30GB image before I finish my coffee.

Six months from now, if you decide to go back to a fresh install then just restore the first copy of the backup and all you have to do is run Windows updates again to have Windows up to date

Hope this helps !!!

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/46963-windows-8-install-10-hours-update-upgrade-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi All,

Replaced a friends 256 memory with two 512, exact same kind only MB different, machine can take up to 1 gig, rebooted,computer fine for three hours, went to install a wireless adapter, and got that Blue scrren saying conflict. Deleted adapter, same blue screen, replaced her old memory and booted fine. Reinstalled wireless adapter, that works fine....what would make a computer reject memory that it was running for three hours? I did have a hard time getting one of memory in one of the slots, could this slot be bad? Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks

add on: This was on the blue screen
there was NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS

stop:0x00000035(0x8645d780)
0x00000000 " "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:That blue screen three hours after memory upgrade!

Always test the RAM after playing around with it

Remove and reseat the memory modules.

If problems persist, try less aggressive memory timings in BIOS - bigger memory is often slower.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/that-blue-screen-three-hours-after-memory-upgrade.44473/
Relevancy 50.31%

So I moved in December to a very during since upgrade! hours Internet peak terrible small town I got Cass Communications cable internet mb dl for a month which is a terrible price for the speed but it s the best I got here It was very very consistent internet always right around - speeds with no packet loss and was great for gaming streaming Well now they have doubled the speeds to mb dl and it s great during the day when no ones using it but come pm central it is absolute garbage Without fail at night it slows to a crawl I don t know what to Internet terrible during peak hours since upgrade! do at this point I have contacted their tech guy and told him and he said their were some noise issues or something and that it should be better but it s not From till am it s useless streams buffer and gaming is impossible since your ping is about triple what you re used to and fluctuates so much you can t even tell what s happening in multiplayer I have contacted him again asking him what we can do to fix this and he said quot Your modem is on probation so we can look at it quot or something and now he s ignoring anymore emails i ve sent The only other option I have is a mb DSL service that s pure crap too Is their anything I can do nbsp

A:Internet terrible during peak hours since upgrade!

I don't understand what "modem is on probation" means. If it is your modem then investigate to see if it is a problem. Is it DOCSIS 1, 2 or 3? I'm not sure what the actual maximum downloads for those specs are (you can look them up on the web), but an old (five years or more) or DOCSIS 1 modem may well be the issue. If it is the ISP's modem then you need to get them to investigate/solve any modem issue.

Otherwise there is nothing you can do except keep pestering your ISP. Speaking from the experience of having ISP issues for months and months (now working fine for three months) use various channels. In addition to calling there may be (sometimes difficult to find) ways to chat or email. If you don't get anywhere with a given chat session try again the next day because the rep will almost guaranteed be somebody different.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-terrible-during-peak-hours-since-upgrade.1150034/
Relevancy 50.31%

How long generally does it take to upgrade to Win10 from Win7. Does it depend on HD & Processor?
I have an SSD and AMD Triple core 3.10GHz.
Win7 is pretty new clean install about 1&1/2 weeks old.

A:Time: Upgrade to Win10

Roughly 1 hour maybe 1.5.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/40961-time-upgrade-win10.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi everyone, this is my first visit and post and I hope you can assist
where others have failed. I have tried to install Win 10
on two machines and neither of them would work, both telling me that the CPU was not
good enough or words to that effect.

PC1 has Intel Pent G3220 3.00 GHz Haswell chip.

PC2 has Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00 GHz.

Both of these are way over the required
minimum spec so I cannot understand why Win10 will not install.

A:Unable to upgrade to Win10 or even try it out.

Welcome to the forum. Its likely either your cpu cant handle PAE, NX and SSE2 or its not set in the bios

To test for PAE, NX, and SSE2, download a program called "CPU-Z" and run it. On the main window, look under the "Instructions" heading for SSE2, EM64T (which also indicates the processor supports PAE) and either VT-d or VT-x, which is required for NX support. If you have all 3, then you are good to go.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-7-a/127011-unable-upgrade-win10-even-try-out.html
Relevancy 50.31%

You have Win10 Upgrade questions?  THIS has Win10 Upgrade answers

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/583598/win10-upgrade-answers/
Relevancy 50.31%

After installing the Win10 Home Premium Upgrade to my HP G60-549DX Notebook, It tells me it did not activate and I get error code 0x803F7001. Can/Will someone tell me what do do PLEASE. Thank you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Win10-Upgrade-not-activating/td-p/5705607
Relevancy 50.31%

I have now decided to bite the bullet and go for the Win10 upgrade. Before I do I would like to know more about the procedure, Can anyone direct me to a good source of information on the subject.

A:Info on Win10 upgrade with ISO.

What version of windows are you currently running

Make a back up of all your data

Download the ISO file and upgrade from this site
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/info-on-win10-upgrade-with-iso.1166347/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello i have a L50-B-1P1 laptop and i`m experiencing a few problems after windows 10 upgrade
1 R7 video driver missing so no catalyst present therefore i have low frames and frezess in games
2 Microphone producing garbeld voice when recording

I know that the series is discontinued but there should be some kind of fix for the problems i`m experiencing atm.

I don`t want to downgrade to wind 8.1/7

A:Sattelite L50-B-1P1 after win10 upgrade

What are your exact spec, Processor, RAM and OS type 32 bit / 64 bit

Depending on what it is you may be able to use the new AMD Crimson drivers instead. I have a L50D-C-13G and I abandoned the catalyst drivers for Crimson drivers and my machine is running great. I have an A10-8700P Carrizo R6 with windows 8.1 and it works great for me. The driver lists compatible hardware, read through it and see if your machine is supported.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...tion_16.2.aspx

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?90722-Sattelite-L50-B-1P1-after-win10-upgrade
Relevancy 50.31%

The WIN10 free upgrade deadline is here, and I cannot seem to upgrade my Split X2 easily... at least by using SETUP.  Is there a known way to do so?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/I-would-like-to-upgrade-my-HP-Split-X2-to-win10-but-cannot/td-p/5703508
Relevancy 50.31%

hi everyone!
i am runing a toshiba satelite using windows 7. the laptop originally came with windows 8, i couldnt bear the change so i switched back to 7 and today i want to get a legit copy of windows 10 -- that will last for over 1 year -- installed after reinstalling windows 8 (my win 7 isn't licensed). after running "ProduKey" i found a "windows BIOS OEM key" that apparently belongs to the OEM win 8.

can i install 8.1 with my win 8 OEM product key?
can i upgrade directly from windows 8 to 10 or do i need to update from 8 to 8.1 and from there upgrade to 10?
can i use the retail win 8 istallation files with an OEM product key or do i need the toshiba OEM installation files?
thank you very much for any help!
Udi Perets

A:in need of help with OEM win 8 istall and upgrade to win10

No need to install windows 8 - just install windows 8.1 via ISO and then upgrade to windows 10 via ISO
windows 10 just needs to see the activation of windows 7 or windows 8.1 to activate itself..

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69802-need-help-oem-win-8-istall-upgrade-win10.html
Relevancy 50.31%

My current computer has a retail copy of Win8. I'm building a new PC this weekend and I want to utilize the free upgrade to Win10 from my current retail version of 8, but I understand the free upgrade is tied to hardware.

Would my best option be to migrate Win8 to the new PC and upgrade from there? Alternatively, would I be better to just upgrade to 10 now and then migrate to the new PC afterwards? I imagine I can just discover the product key using something like Belarc Advisor, but then I don't know if the key will be accepted for activation on the new hardware... Thoughts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/win10-upgrade-and-migration-to-new-pc-1082401.html
Relevancy 50.31%

l had an issue with windows update which required me resetting components.. afterwards l made sure to check for the updates l dont want, not one of the get windows 10 ones was present (granted l didnt look at each support article as l was behind by a few on the laptop which l havent started in a little).

however l do have a list of the updates l dont want to install.. yet the win 10 upgrade is back l removed the program dir manually because l couldnt find an associated update.

just wondered if anyone knew if there was a newly labelled one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/396053-there-new-win10-upgrade-update.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,
I am having issues with USB devices dropping since I upgraded to windows 10. I have tried updating device and use drivers, reinstalling devices and changing power settings for devices. This is a pain as I need to regularly make skype business calls and can't now via headset. Any help greatly appreciated.
Later
Anthony

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/usb-dropping-win10-upgrade-4598526/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi all, i have a Precision M4700 with windows 7 SP1 OEM, i'm confused, can i install windows 10 pro for free or do i have to purchase an upgrade license (if i do it now, before the 29th July) ?
Consider i work in an Enterprise environment but the license applied to my PC is the OEM, not the one under Corporate agreement.
Thanks for a clarification/confirmation.

A:Win7PRO OEM upgrade to Win10

HIRYU79,
Yes, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. You will also need to update the drivers to Windows 10 as well. Click the link below to download the drivers for your M4700.
Dell Precision M4700 Drivers and Downloads

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19985747
Relevancy 50.31%

who and why is anyone going for the free Win10 upgrade ? I do online stuff and gaming.... I do not have a tablet.... at current our computer run Win 8.1. I signed up a while back for the free Win10 upgrade.... is there a thread for this discussion already?

A:who and why is anyone going for the free Win10 upgrade ?

Lots of Windows 10 news here ... Windows 10 News - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/68757-who-why-anyone-going-free-win10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi all trying to upgrade my desktop self-built from Win to Win but it keeps getting stuck at configuring settings Since at that point there is no task manager or anything and my system has Win10 at upgrade keeps stuck 86% getting no hdd activity light it's hard to tell if anything is still happening The system has an ssd so should not be slow I've updated several laptops also crappy Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86% ones with slow hdd and it worked for all of them never taking longer than couple of hours Now the upgrade on my desktop has been running for hrs mostly stuck at that point I tried to upgrade it once already last fall and then I did not have this issue But system was very unstable and hence unusable with win and hence reverted back to So what are my options to troubleshoot I only have keyboard and mouse attached both USB and no other USB devices There are lots of applications installed and configured dev environment for my personal projects so I would really really like to avoid a clean install If it matters it it win professional and there is enough free space on c drive Should I unplug mouse and keyboard or even display dvi-d

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57202-win10-upgrade-keeps-getting-stuck-86-a.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Been a long time 5+ years since I reloaded windows. Is it better to reload it and go to Win10 or
Just go to Win 10 and hope for the best.... Only problem is the browsers are running a little slow
and have to be restarted

Gary

A:Win 7 from scratch before Win10 upgrade?

Going straight to Windows 7 and using Windows 7 key to activate it is generally more reliable than upgrading.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/45754-win-7-scratch-before-win10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I know someone with a Vista (Business) PC and he received a free upgrade notice to Win10. Is this correct and if so does it just mean that the OS will be installed without saving apps and files?

A:Free Win10 upgrade

I know someone with a Vista (Business) PC and he received a free upgrade notice to Win10. Is this correct and if so does it just mean that the OS will be installed without saving apps and files?Click to expand...

The free upgrade applies to qualified computers that are running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8/8.1.

It does NOT apply to computers that are running Windows Vista.

-----------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/free-win10-upgrade.1152502/
Relevancy 49.88%

I installed windows 7 Ult clean on my SSD not other drives, no data to back up, updated to Win 7 SP1 so I could kick off the windows 10 install.

it's been 12 fucking hours and I am still at 92% installing.. it took me 5 hours to download.. wtf I ran speedtest 12ms ping 60Mbps down.. wtf..

I have no data to back up as this is a clean fresh win 7 install... seriously!

A:So clean install windows 7 then upgrade to 10... 12 hours later still installing

And you didn't do a clean windows 10 install because...

https://hardforum.com/threads/so-clean-install-windows-7-then-upgrade-to-10-12-hours-later-still-installing.1904576/