Windows Support Forum

Using dlink D2750U Wifi Modem/Router As a Wifi Router

Q: Using dlink D2750U Wifi Modem/Router As a Wifi Router

Hi,

I recently bought dlink D2750U WIFI ADSL modem/router, for my ADSL internet connection.

But I have now changed my ISP, who provide internet via cable(not telephone line). The ISP guy provides a cable modem(old modem) along with it.

I have connected my PC this way:
Cable modem -> Router -> PC through RJ45. I am able to access internet from my PC, but I am not able to get wifi working on the router. And I am logging onto internet through a dial up connection.
Questions:
1) Please help in configuring the router to get wifi working.
2) Also, my default gateway seems to be either 0.0.0.0 or blank. So, I am not able to login to the modem unless I remove the modem connection. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong here.

Here are a few more details:
Output of ipconfig: http://pastebin.com/Zr9Eb7L7

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Using dlink D2750U Wifi Modem/Router As a Wifi Router

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Using dlink D2750U Wifi Modem/Router As a Wifi Router

Hey Narain. The D-Link unit you have appears to be a combo unit (modem and wireless router) since it connects straight to the RJ-11 phone line. This unit won't work with an ISP that provides service by way of coax cable. The D-Link will work if you want to use DSL, but you need a cable service compatible modem or combo modem/router if you use cable service.

ftp://support.dlink.co.in/broadband/DSL-2750U/manual/DSL-2750U_C1_Manual_IN_1.00.pdf

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-dlink-d2750u-wifi-modem-router-as-a-wifi-router.199643/
Relevancy 87.42%

Hi All,

I have Dlink Router DIR-890L. I have set up the security with WPA/WPA2-Personal and saved the changes but the connection stays open and unsecured. All my neighbors are able to connect because it doesn't prompt them for a password. I have upgraded the router to the latest firmware and still the same problem.
Lately I've been using the MAC filter to keep people off my connection but this is impractical when I have guests over. Also disabling broadcasting doesn't allow my phone to reconnect automatically.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/388346-dlink-router-wifi-connect-without-password-promt.html
Relevancy 87.42%

Hi, pls. help me to make dlink dsl router 2640T to be working as repeater which will be able to receive wifi signals. I've seen one guy using the same dlink dsl-2640T as wifi signal repeater where he was successfully able to receive wifi signals.

My PC's configuration is as follows:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 1974 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 39997 MB, Free - 10423 MB; D: Total - 74465 MB, Free - 17354 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 03C6YH
Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated and Enabled

Relevancy 81.53%

HI! i'm just curious to know if there was a way of connecting my USB modem in such a way that i can use it to have wireless access in my house (more specific room).

Currently i have a Cisco Wireless-N Home ADSL2+ Modem Router. it has a DSL port and 4 ethernet ports. i can alreadly pick up the wi-fi signal when i just switch the router on but obviously theres no internet connection yet.

am i over complicating issues or is this not possible? please help urgently

A:Usb modem with wifi router possible?

If you are currently using DSL for your Internet connection, is there a problem with replacing the USB modem with the Cisco Modem router?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-modem-with-wifi-router-possible.1102258/
Relevancy 81.53%

Just moved in and brought my ADSL wifi modem Belkin F1PI241EGau with me, but over here there is cable and the provider supplied me with their modem motorola Surfboard SB5101E. I would like to connect these two to use the wifi. Would that be possible?

Thank you

A:Can i connect my adsl2/2+ wifi modem/router to cable modem?

Not really. The ADSL router doesn't have the correct WAN interface. You need a standard router with an Ethernet WAN connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-connect-my-adsl2-2-wifi-modem-router-to-cable-modem.820259/
Relevancy 80.91%

Dear sir,
Recently I bought edimax 150 mbps wireless N adsl2+modem router , (model name AR-7188WnA ). I have a desktop set and asus ZenFone 2 laser (model-ASUS_ZOOLD).I want to use wifi (from asus mobile)to connect this edmax modem & router without having broadband connection.please tell me the details

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/use-wifi-connect-modem-amp-router-4606894/
Relevancy 80.91%

I m a bit of a rookie when it comes to Networking but here goes I ve got a D-Link WiFi a Router DSL Modem Using D-Link as a DSL- Mbps Wireless router with built-in ADSL modem and a D-Link DI- Mbps Wireless Broadband router Obviously the DI- that I recently purchased doesn t feature an in-built modem so instead of blowing on a D-Link ADSL modem with Ethernet connectivity I was hoping to use the ADSL modem feature in my old Wireless router as my modem for the DI- I called D-Link support but unfortunately after an hour of following live instructions from their support staff I ended up Using a D-Link DSL WiFi Router as a Modem nowhere They instructed me to disable DHCP and Using a D-Link DSL WiFi Router as a Modem NAT features Using a D-Link DSL WiFi Router as a Modem on the and plug an ethernet cable into it s LAN PORT and plug the other end into the WAN PORT on the I plugged an ethernet cable into the DI- LAN PORT and into my computer s Ethernet port in order to configure the DI- After configuring the DI- via its web configuration web page I could get the Mbps network up and running but without the access to DSL If anyone any of the above mentioned products and can provide a tip or a link to a guide or something that would be great Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 80.91%

I currently have two cables One cable is a yellow ethernet cable that is plugged into my motorola cable modem in the Ethernet slot The opposite end is plugged into the Slot slot in WiFi and Modem Router Issue my Linksys wireless router My second cable is a grey ethernet Router and Modem WiFi Issue cable One end is plugged into the back of my computer and the opposite is plugged into Slot slot in my Linksys wireless Router and Modem WiFi Issue router All of the lights are on both my modem and my router as if everything is working okay The internet works as well However when I try to access my Linksys wireless settings by typing in http in my address bar it says the connection has timed out It says this each time Now when I move my yellow ethernet cable that is plugged into Slot into the Internet slot in my Linksys router and I slide my grey ethernet cable to Slot one I restart my router and I am now about to access http However though I can access these settings I cannot browse the internet When I go to google or any other website it says page cannot be displayed Therefore I cannot easily toggle between the Linksys settings and my internet without moving around wires and restarting my router I m doing this because I m trying to configure my router with WiFi so I can use my Nintendo DS Can anybody tell me why I m having such difficulty with being able to view the Linksys settings and keep my internet connection at the same time By the way my Linksys Wireless Router is a WRT G My OS is Windows XP and my cable internet service is Optimum Online Note when I have the wire connecting to my modem into the INTERNET slot in my router it says my computer is connected My Network Connections says I am indeed connected to the internet However when I try to use a browser or a program that needs the internet it will not work I get quot Problem loading page quot and when I try and run Windows Live Messenger it says my connection has been lost nbsp

A:Router and Modem WiFi Issue

Well, the modem has to connect to the WAN/Internet connection or you won't have any success here. What's happening now is the computer is connecting directly to the modem and using the router as a simple switch.

Do NOT try to configure the router using the wireless connection! Connect it with a cable for configuration, then you can disconnect it once you get it all configured.
Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-and-modem-wifi-issue.678387/
Relevancy 110.94%

I am usually pretty savvy with networking but this one really has got me I have searched all over teh Intarwebs with no success solving it Basically here s the issue I m in Mexico and I want to set up a VPN specifically HideMyAss HMA so that I can use my Roku and generally stream things from the United States TELMEX has given me a to modem fiber Connecting wifi router Alcatel-Lucent I- w-q router which connects to the fiber line they have run to my house Separately I bought a ASUS RT-N wifi router because that is the one that HMA says can be programmed to be the central quot tunnel quot into their VPN I upgraded the RT-N firmware to DD-WRT s most recent build I have access to the config Connecting fiber modem to wifi router sections of both routers so I can modify their settings at will So what I need to Connecting fiber modem to wifi router do is connect the Alcatel router to the Asus router in such a way as I can use the Asus router as the primary access to the Internet I wanted to set this up BEFORE I get the HMA subscription so that I could confirm it worked before I shell out for HMA I would deeply appreciate any assistance at all in setting things up so it goes through nbsp

A:Connecting fiber modem to wifi router

You'll need to check with Roku as to whether this is a violation of the terms of service. Based on what I'm seeing, Roku has specific appliances for different countries. I can easily see that what you're doing by accessing US programming from Mexico is a violation of the terms of service; more specifically the programming owners will probably have issues with streaming to foreign countries.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-fiber-modem-to-wifi-router.1068227/
Relevancy 110.94%

I have a 3com Switch 4400 and a netgear BT internet router / modem (4 port)

BT router > 3com switch > PC's

I have around 10 Pc on my network, 7 of them are connected to the 3com and the rest via wifi.

i need the 3 com router to issue the ipaddrsses and give access the the internet via the BT modem / router / AP.

I have tried looking on many forums but no help, i can get the 3com to issue the ip addresses, but then i have no internet. Or set the d.gateway to the bt router but then i am unable to have the 3com to issue the ipaddress.

please if anyone can help

Relevancy 110.94%

hello I have a problem connecting wifi router airlive wt- r to my ADSL modem webstar epc ed using utp patch cable When my PC is connected straight to the ADSL modem everything works like charm But when I connect modem with wan port on the router and router with my PC I get no internet access The network shows as unidentified network and win troubleshooter says Default gateway not available Connecting them two devices seems pretty simple and I don t think I am doing anything wrong so what could be the problem Any help would be very appreciated Thank you This is my ipconfig all Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Milan gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Milan-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Mbps Ethernet Physical Address BC- F-F - - -DF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe f e d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained listopadu Lease Expires ledna Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv adsl wifi to connecting modem router IAID DHCPv Client DUID connecting wifi router to adsl modem - - - - - -C - -BC- F-F - - -DF DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap CF - B - -AF E- F C Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:connecting wifi router to adsl modem

can we see an ipconfig /all when connected to the webstar epc2203ed2.0 only
its possibly showing as a router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-wifi-router-to-adsl-modem.1077863/
Relevancy 110.94%

Hi I m using windows OS and Internet DSL Wifi but Router modem not through connected through using Reliance DSL broadband When I connect to internet directly through modem Internet is accessed but when I use D-Link DIR- Internet connected through DSL modem but not through Wifi Router router Internet connected through DSL modem but not through Wifi Router It shows you are offline and shows limited connectivity Ip configuration through wired connection is as below C Users Hiren s gt ipconfig Windows IP Configuration Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix local Ethernet adapter Ethernet Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in Link-local IPv Address fe c e b a eb aa IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap reliancebroadband co in Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in IPv Address bed e d bed e d Default Gateway Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix IPv Address ef fd cc c b Link-local IPv Address fe cc c b Default Gateway When I try to connect with wifi It shows limited connectivity and I can t open login page for ISP Ip config when connected through wifi is below C Users Hiren s gt ipconfig Windows IP Configuration Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix local Ethernet adapter Ethernet Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in Link-local IPv Address fe c e b a eb aa IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap reliancebroadband co in Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in IPv Address bed e d bed e d Default Gateway Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix IPv Address ef fd cc c b Link-local IPv Address fe cc c b Default Gateway C Users Hiren s gt nbsp

A:Internet connected through DSL modem but not through Wifi Router

I also tried friend's TP-Link router, with my Cable, Then it connects perfectly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-connected-through-dsl-modem-but-not-through-wifi-router.205006/
Relevancy 109.65%

Hello,
I have a BSNL wireless modem having inbuilt router.The modem has some DSL problem and cannot use the ethernet port to connect to my desktop.So I bought a new Baton DSL modem without wifi facility.

I now need the WIFI connectivity to connect with my phone for browsing net.

For that I connected the Ethernet port of new DSL modem with the old BSNL wifi modem and applied the following configuration.

I changed the IP address of router from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.2

But I get only WIFI connection to connect to phone and not correctly getting the connection on desktop through the ethernet.Sometimes i get the connection and sometimes the connection lost.

I attached some images here.

pls help me to fix the problem.

Thanks & Regards

RAKESH BOSE

A:How to configure wifi modem having router with DSL modem ?

Hi there,

On the second router, DHCP needs to be disabled and assign a fixed IP within the router's IP scope (with Wi-Fi capability) i.e. 192.168.1.3 (make sure that 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.3 will be in the IP exclusion list).

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/339397-how-configure-wifi-modem-having-router-dsl-modem.html
Relevancy 109.65%

Just hooked up to att uverse ,they installed a att200 modem/router ,I have 12 mbps internet. I cant seem to make it hook up to the router
I have tried to enter the info on the printer keypad and throught the computer. computer is pent. 4 ,xp,

I was able to connect my laptop and kindle to the router.
I am not sure if the printer is recognizing the router or vice versa.
in general I dont know what is happening

I just found out it will print from my laptop,so I think my printer is connecting to the router,correct?
just tried to print from laptop again and did not work.
the wifi light on the printer is off.
it used to work great with the other router before att upgraded me

Printer is a epson workforce 520

It is a motorola router

A:AT&T installed new router/modem now my printer will not connect wifi

It worked, then didn't work? What? :S

Maybe check the wifi encryption. Make surei t's WPA2 and not anything else.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/at-t-installed-new-router-modem-now-my-printer-will-not-connect-wifi.192245/
Relevancy 109.65%

My DSL modem/wireless router wont broadcast the wifi signal i need to know if it is just defective or a setting that can be turned off, It was working just fine and just recently stopped broadcasting, it works just fine for a direct connection. (It is a regular windstream wireless modem/router.

A:Windstream DSL modem/router wont broadcast wifi

you can enable/disable wireless in most router , from the configuration pages

also there is often a light on the front panel showing if WLAN is on/off

whats the make and exact model of the router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windstream-dsl-modem-router-wont-broadcast-wifi.1047516/
Relevancy 108.36%

Just bought this belkin router. Linked one computer through LAN and 4 devices through WIFI

For some reason my WIFI devices are not able to read or detect connections to the LAN network..

Can someone help me with this ?i found a similar thread but not sure how to work this problem out

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1427502

A:Belkin Share Wireless Modem Router WiFi and LAN not linked

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

Check these links for more information.

Belkin : Support : Setup Assistant for Routers

Belkin : Support : Configuring Wireless Security

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/202177-belkin-share-wireless-modem-router-wifi-lan-not-linked.html
Relevancy 108.36%

I have an internet connection that I have extended to my Brother in law's house, next door. At the moment, I basically have two LAN cables coming out of my modem/router, one going to my computer and another, extended cable, going to his computer.
However, he wants to use his spare modem/router, which has wifi capability, to allow his son to use his own computer downstair with only wifi.
Therefore, will there be any conflicts if I simply splice in a Lan cable or add a lan socket for the second modem/router (wifi location.) at the appropriate point along Lan cable 2? See diagram below.
If there is a possibility of conflict what would be an alternate wiring method?

Thanks,
Tom.

A:Adding extra wifi (modem/router) to my already extended network

Good drawing and this will work just fine. In fact, that's what I use to get access at the far end of the house. Here's the trick;

router#1(lan slot) ---- (lan slot) router#2 with wifi​
Notice that #2 WAN slot is left empty! This places all systems on the same subnet of the router#1 {what you are doing is making router#2 act like a switch which has wifi support (y) }

* Give router# a unique LAN address (If #1 is 192.168.1.1, then make #2 192.168.1.1) This will allow each to be manage via a browser connection
* in router#2 disable DHCP. This forces #1 to be the manager of the entire network and it will handout all IP addresses
Personally, I use the MAC addresses of my devices to enable router#1 to use Address Reservation of IP address for all devices attached to #1 (ie I map the devices to the range 1.2-> 1.10)

Then set the DHCP range in #1 to 1.100-1.50
These will be used for all devices attached (wired or wifi) to #2

Optional:
All systems can then use the firewall to allow or deny access for one or both halves of the network. EG: I permit access for 1-10 and 255 while denying 100-254​ALL system must allow the top-end address 255 as that is the broadcast address that is used to hand out the DHCP data.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-extra-wifi-modem-router-to-my-already-extended-network.203204/
Relevancy 108.36%

i have wimax usb modem and tenda wifi router with rj45 ports. how do i connect them, please im not so good at computer so i will request step by step procedure. i dont want to buy a new modem.

Relevancy 108.36%

Hi I have a my PPPoE Fiber instead WiFi my Configuring of router Optic on modem Fiber Optic connection at Configuring PPPoE on my WiFi router instead of my Fiber Optic modem home where the Fiber Optic modem is connected to my WiFi router Configuring PPPoE on my WiFi router instead of my Fiber Optic modem The problem is that in Configuring PPPoE on my WiFi router instead of my Fiber Optic modem order to connect to the Internet I have to first connect to the WiFi WPA and then dial-in via PPPoE into the Internet I provide the ISP username and password in the second step I am using Windows and have created the PPPoE connection as shown in the attached screenshots I have to connect to this PPPoE every time I need to connect to the Internet I have had to configure this on all my laptops and have to connect using each individual machine where I need an Internet connection This is a big pain as you can imagine Further I want to connect my Nexus One to the home WiFi Internet connection but since it doesn t have PPPoE support I can t do this I went to my router settings Com CRWDR A- and found something that seemed promising In the Internet Settings section I saw a place to provide the PPPoE username and password However this hasn t helped I still have to connect using the PPPoE connection in Windows Does anybody have any ideas tips Any help would be appreciated as this is getting frustrating Cheers Wild Thing nbsp

A:Configuring PPPoE on my WiFi router instead of my Fiber Optic modem

Since you're connecting from the router you can probably delete the PPOE connection from Windows.

Curtis

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/configuring-pppoe-on-my-wifi-router-instead-of-my-fiber-optic-modem.911765/
Relevancy 108.36%

Hey everyone I d really appreciate any help you guys can give on WiFi Connectivity Issues Pace Modem/Router with 4111n the issue I m at my wits end at this point So anyway about a month ago my old wire modem pretty much kicked the bucket for good after about years of more or less dedicated service with the occasional hiccup here and there I was kind of saddened yet relieved and I was left without internet for a few days I contacted my ISP with the issue and after a bunch of failed restart attempts on their end I told them the damn thing was dead already but they were insistent on making sure I wasn t bs ing them they finally relented and decided to send me their new Pace n router modem A few days later low and behold I had a new Pace and guess what IT HAD WIFI The reason why this came as such an interesting surprise was because my old Wire that my ISP had originally provided us with was simply a modem with no router wifi capabilities on it In order to bypass the lack of Wifi I had to purchase a Netgear N router and had it hooked up to the Wire for years with no connectivity issues Anyway with the new Pace in hand I put my old Netgear away and plugged the new baby in and here is where things kinda went downhill Now my old set up was kinda WiFi Connectivity Issues with Pace 4111n Modem/Router strange I used to have the Wire modem hooked up to the Netgear router and in between had a Grandstream HT Voip phone adapter plugged in we have the need in my household for long distance phone service and in order to have a more economical option purchased a separate service with a different company WiFi Connectivity Issues with Pace 4111n Modem/Router that provided the Grandstream I should mention that the set up we use to have was put in place by someone from the company and that I had no hand in putting it together that way For years this set up worked fine with no issues but as soon as the Pace n came into play with the Grandstream in tow behind it my Wifi connectivity basically went down the crapper After about a week with random signal drops and Wifi connection issues I decided to call my ISP back and describe the situation to them What has followed since then has been a ridiculous back and forth with various quot technical support quot people basically insisting in guiding me through the typical reset process of the Pace different variations of quot just unplug it from your power source for a bit and see if that works quot or my favorite quot just get a longer cable and keep the Grandstream and the Pace far away from each other so that the Grandstream doesn t interfere with the WiFi radio signal quot Now please keep in mind that I pretty much had already tried ALL of this and more prior to speaking with quot technical support quot and the fact that that s basically all the advice they ve been able to offer is just dismaying So here I am turning to the net for help on this matter hope someone out there has something better than quot unplug and replug and see if that works quot to offer in terms of help -PhantomRaven P S- A couple of other specifying notes for those who might need some more info on the subject -After my last conversation with tech support which happened today I finally got someone to guide me through fiddling around with the Pace We managed to change the Wireless Channel to Ch on a MHz range along with confirming the connection type as a PPP E setting So far I ve had no issues but right after I hung up with them I had to revert to my old system of disconnecting from the WiFi and reconnecting in order to get my signal working again -My doggy Wifi issues usually would start like this I d start up my laptop which is set up to log in to my home WiFi signal automatically and right away I d notice the typical yellow triangle symbol over the network icon indicating quot limited or no connectivity quot At this point I would usually have to disconnect and then reconnect to start it working again This would usually keep it worki... Read more

Relevancy 107.5%

I am trying to get my parents Kindle Fire to work. They recently purchased a Motorola Modem/Router which is hooked into the desktop and works fine. I want to get their new kindle to work and can not seem to figure it out. Their operating system is Vista which I can upgrade to Windows 7 if that would make it easier. When I click on setup the WiFi part of the installation wizard cd that came with the Motorola it says there is not a network adapter. I know what that is however I do not know why I would need it when the desktop is hooked directly into modem/router and I just need the WiFi for Kindle. Is there a simpler way to get this working? I figured I would try you as you are the expert in this field. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Relevancy 105.78%

I have a desktop that is able to have wifi it's a adapter dell 1450 UBS Wireless 802.11a/b/g it works so does the router which is a Cisco Linsky E 1000 it shows um that it works I'm getting packet but I just can't seem to connect I don't understand it says that I am connected but I cannot get on the internet what am I doing wrong please help my desktop is compaq hp with wireless capability help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-make-my-android-with-wifi-3g-connect-my-desktop-router-and-wifi-adapter.1085239/
Relevancy 105.35%

I am looking to replace my tired Linksys WRT54G router that is about 10 years old. I love the router, and its even better with DD-WRT on it, but I'm starting to have troubles with the wifi dropping all the connects for a couple seconds when running all my wireless devices. I have 3 smart phones, 2 tablets, 1 Chromecast, a smart TV, and Roku + a laptop or 3 in my house right now, and it seems like its getting to be a bit much for it.
I have had to completely re-flash the firmware twice this year to get the wifi working again, so I'm thinking its time for replacement.
I have been thinking about just getting the new WRT54GL for $50, but I'm also thinking it might be a good idea to upgrade the wifi technology past wireless G .
I'm wondering if my Tablet (Nexu 9), and our smartphones (Razr HD Max) along with the Chromecast will take advantage of the new wireless standards and higher speeds or not? If they will can someone recomend a decent wireless router that takes DD-WRT nicely in the sub-$100 range? Thanks!

A:Looking for new Wifi Router - Will Tablet/Smartphone take advantage of new wifi Standards?

I been programming in Android/Linux since 2010 and there is code that supports VHT is Very High Throughput. Right now the standards are HT is High Throughput .

As for DD-WRT firmware is like your overclocking your router pushing it beyond the OEM limits. I use to use DD-WRT but had quit many years ago since the routers that used that firmware would fail too much.

So best to buy a better business type enterprise router wired then you can use WiFi router as AP or just get WiFi AP(access point). To me WiFi Router is also Wired Router, but to use just a wired router and use WiFi AP through a switch is better. If one or the other goes you can easy replace them. Where as if the WiFi Router fails you would need to replace it.

If you really want to use DD-WRT then Look at Buffalo WiFi Routers some come pre-installed with DD-WRT on them. Frankly you really don't need DD-WRT today because newer routers or WiFi routers are much better built and offer much more power NPU = network processor units and 128, 256, 512, 1GB of RAM some have Dual Cores.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/looking-for-new-wifi-router-will-tablet-smartphone-take-advantage-of-new-wifi-standards.207572/
Relevancy 105.35%

I am currently stationed in Germany, and live in a village that has horrible internet. I cannot stream netflix, hulu, and downloads take several hours.

Is there a way to combine the internet that my cell phone receives and the wifi router I have at home to increase speed?

I have the ability to create a wifi hotspot from my cell phone if this helps.

Just something I thought up in my head, and wanted to find out if it is possible. Thanks in advance.

A:Combining Wifi Hotspot and Router Wifi for faster internet

You can, try this http://www.octopusplus.com/download.jsp or http://www.connectify.me/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/combining-wifi-hotspot-and-router-wifi-for-faster-internet.1099511/
Relevancy 104.06%

Wifi doesn't connect when i move away from wifi router. I have a wifi router installed in my drawing room where i get good browsing speed on phones and laptops. But the problem starts when i take my laptop from drawing room to my bedroom which is not more than 5 mtrs from router. Wifi signal drops to zero on laptop whereas it remains decent on phones. Earlier my laptop used to connect in bedroom as well..This is happening lately. Is there any solution?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Wifi-doesn-t-connect-when-i-move-away-from-wifi-router/td-p/5768546
Relevancy 104.06%

I have been trying for some time to accomplish the title result. I'm not techie enough to do it.

What I want is to be able to use a Tablet to read in the rear of my home (which is out of range for incoming wifi signal.)

If I can set up the computer to do this, I will cable connect to a router in that area.
I have two computers and could use either.

1.a PC running XP (should update to windows 8.1, but have never bothered to do that, since XP works just fine. (I had this computer sharing to the router, when I had DSL internet connection, using Windows wizard to set it up) Couldn't get it to work when I switched to WIFI internet access) I could switch to win 7 or 8.1 if that would help.

2. a Lap Top running WIN 8.1,

Any help is appreciated.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/75655-internet-access-via-wifi-share-wifi-via-second-router.html
Relevancy 104.06%

Hi Could you please tell me if this is possible:
My computer is connected to a wireless network. Can I hook up my D-link (DIR-412) to my computer and use the internet from the computer to output another wireless area?

Thanks sounds complicated.

A:Connected to WIFI and want to extend wifi with another wireless router

Where you live is your setup like this?

Internet
Modem
WiFi Router

or

Internet
Modem with built-in WiFi Router

If you want extend the WiFi you would get WiFi Access Point. Or you can take a WiFi Router and disable NAT, SPI, DCHP, then you create a static IP address. 192.168.x.50

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connected-to-wifi-and-want-to-extend-wifi-with-another-wireless-router.199845/
Relevancy 103.2%

i have posted this but no one has even viewed it as the title wasn't very good.

Anyway, i have 2 wifi routers, one in the lounge that is on internet, one in my room that is not.

i want them both to be able to supply internet.

the one in my room will just be used to ethernet internet into my PS3.

alternative is that i use the wifi on my laptop then ethernet my laptop to PS3, is this possible?

Relevancy 102.34%

Actually my wifi adapter can catch all other wifi signal except my wifi router.

A:my notebook wifi adapter don't get my wifi router

There are several resons.1. The wifi signal might be too weak at the point where the computer is.2. Other device radiation/signals might be blocking it.3. Your router signal might be hodden (check EWS of router).4. Signal broadcasting might have been turned off on router. Since other signals are found on the computer, there shouldnt be a issue with your couputer.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/my-notebook-wifi-adapter-don-t-get-my-wifi-router/td-p/5725324
Relevancy 102.34%

I have a Netgear WGR614v9 router and was wondering if its possible to use this as a wireless adapter for my computer?? I think it might support the DDWRT open source firmware??? I am wanting to do this STRICTLY as a learning purpose.

Relevancy 101.91%

I am trying to connect my DSL modem to a DLINK router with no success. I am able to get into the DSL modem but not the router. I have tried 2 different routers and get the same results. My computer shows it is connected but it is not.

The DSL modem is an ActionTech M1000 and supposedly is a modem/router. It works fine directly connected to the computer.

The routers are DIR-615 and a DI-604. I have used the DI-604 in the past with no problems.

For both of them, I connected from the modem to port 1 on the router. Then from the router's WAN to the computer.

I turned off DHCP in the modem and got the same results. It is PPPOE and according to them it is dynamic, not static.

I powered everything off and on and still no connection.

Any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 101.91%

Hello I am a bit of a hard time with routers on one network IP + dynamic Issues = with ADSL Wifi Router Router and unfortunately as things stand now they both have to be there So I just got ADSL and the only modem option available to me was one with a -port wired router I hooked that up into my existing network of about computers laptops and desktops which Wifi Router + ADSL Router = Issues with dynamic IP is connected by another -port WiFi router I started out with my only Wifi Router + ADSL Router = Issues with dynamic IP goal of hooking of these computers to the internet after I got the DSL by some MAC filtering configured in the WiFi router But having the DSL modem router has created another issue I am using separate IP gateways for both the routers which are in the same subset I can connect to both of them from all my machines The problem is I don t have any control over which computer connects to what router I am trying to avoid setting each PC up with a static IP that needs internet access Here is my setup in more detail My ADSL router is and my WiFi router is and both have the subnet My ADSL connection has dynamic IP and the modem router is connected into a LAN port on the WiFi router I have tried disabling DHCP on the modem router and changed my WiFi router IP to that of the modem which was counter productive to no avail Someone mentioned MAC address cloning but I am not sure if it will work in this setup Since I configured this I am seeing quite a few IP conflicts which are probably my fault as I didn t check when I was setting up static IP on computers that needed internet access I just want these routers to work in harmony if possible Can I just use one of them as a DHCP server I do not want to use static IP for any computer whether or not it connects to the internet Right now I am using it for computers that want access to the internet by guiding them to right gateway and the computers that need not be connected just have auto IP configured I would rather use MAC filters for this I am going to stop typing now before I dream about this mess I have on my hands Any help here will be welcome Thank You nbsp

Relevancy 101.05%

I'm not sure how to remedy this issue, really I'am at a lost. I don't know what to do, i upgraded firmware and stuff but i sill can't get it too work. A guide would be helpful as I'm not too savvy.

Relevancy 99.76%

Hello one and all I am sincerely hoping someone can assist with my little networking problem as i m tearing my hair out now Here at work we have a Vigor Modem Router hosting our connection to the world It was originally on DHCP amp the computers amp printers found their own IP addresses without problem We added a Linksys router via ethernet to a lan port not the wan in another area of the yard This on Adding wifi a static IP to router router was fine also on DHCP and connecting wirelessly from a laptop or mobile phone was a doddle Then our oh so wonderful IT geek Adding a wifi router to router on static IP decided to put the Vigor on a Static IP along with all the computers connected to it This has some how cut off the wifi capability of the Linksys router now It is basically acting as a hub for two laptops and nothing else In simplistic terms with some detail what settings need changing on the Linksys if any The Adding a wifi router to router on static IP Vigors internal IP is Linksys is both on subnet I have been advised to set the Linksys to a static IP on the Internet Connection option but what set of figures do i need for that Fingers crossed Stonkin nbsp

Relevancy 99.76%

Hi all can't to find DLink Cable modem IP address Router - we were happily getting along with our RCN cable Motorola modem and DLink Cable modem to DLink Router can't find IP address wireless until the last couple of weeks The internet would intermittently not be available without warning First couple of Cable modem to DLink Router can't find IP address times we power cycled the modem and router and it worked but then stopped being available altogether I got some support from RCN the cable provider they own the modem and it s old so naturally that was my first thought I now have a new modem and the situation is exactly the same The error message that I get is that the IP address for the network cannot be found I got internet access by bypassing the router connecting the modem directly to my Windows XP PC releasing and renewing the IP address and power cycling the modem However the internet still intermittently shuts down and of course turning off the computer necessitates Cable modem to DLink Router can't find IP address the whole procedure again And now we have no wireless SOooo - should we assume it s the router and a new one would solve our problem Of do we just need to reset the IP address of the router Or has anyone heard of this and maybe has some light to shed Many thanks nbsp

A:Cable modem to DLink Router can't find IP address

I got internet access by bypassing the router, connecting the modem directly to my (Windows XP) PC, releasing and renewing the IP address, and power cycling the modem.Click to expand...

Power cycling the modem is necessary when switching the device connected to it; after that there should be no need to power cycle it until the next switch.

However, the internet still intermittently shuts down,Click to expand...

Implies ISP, modem, cable or computer problem. If you have another Motorola modem you have LEDs that give a pretty good idea of what might be happening. And most modems have some LEDs. What are they telling you on the "shut downs"?

and of course turning off the computer necessitates the whole procedure again.Click to expand...

Shouldn't have to do anything but power up the computer. Can you try another computer? If the modem has a USB port can you try a USB connection?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cable-modem-to-dlink-router-cant-find-ip-address.994689/
Relevancy 99.76%

Hello Tech Guy forums. I came her insearch for some help. I am running Windows XP Professional. Now, the problem that I have. I am running highspeed and, when I connect directly from my DSL modem to my computer, it is pretty fast, but, when I connect my DSL to my Router through than WAN port, than connect my computer to one of the LAN slots in my Router, it runs terribly slow. For example, I am downloading 3 movies and, when I was directly connect from DSL to computer, the time to download all three movies would take 3 - 4 hours. Now that I am connected to my Router, it will take a week!!

Now, I am also wanting to use Router so I can share my Internet with my Xbox for Xbox Live and my other computer. If someone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

-UnknownFear

A:Internet Running Slow - DSL Modem through WAN on Dlink-604 Router

I saved the following some time ago. It may be pertinent to your problem.

On your router there should be an option for mtu. use this formula.

To find the proper MTU Size, you'll have to do a special ping of the
destination you're trying to go to. A destination could be another
computer, or a URL.
1. Click on the Start button, then select the Run option.

2. In the "Open" field type in command (If you're using Windows
2K/NT/XP use CMD instead)

3. Once the window opens, you'll need to do a special ping. It
should be formatted:

ping [-f] [-l] [MTU value] [Enter] an e...rom this into the MTU settings on the router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-running-slow-dsl-modem-through-wan-on-dlink-604-router.608042/
Relevancy 99.76%

I ve got a D-Link DSL-G T wireless router My internet connection is Optus Satellite Australia with a Gilat SkyEdge modem I m using a Toshiba laptop running windows Vista Here s my problem I can get connected to the satellite internet when I connect directly to the modem using a crossover ethernet cable I can t seem to get the wireless router connection to work though I connected the crossover cable to the Dlink router and then used a regular ethernet cable to connect to my laptop and set up the wireless connection I AM able to get the wireless single excellent strength from my laptop to the router The problem is the router and modem don t seem to be communicating properly In my network and sharing center it shows a good connection between my pc and the network but a red X between the network and internet I did have this all set up and working properly about months ago but I was traveling overseas and now can t seem to get it working again since I ve returned Unfortunately the satellite internet provider Optus will not offer any tech assistance for the wireless side of things They ll only ensure you ve got a direct connection I d appreciate it if one of you tech folks could help me figure out my failure to connect issue Thanks in advance Angie nbsp

Relevancy 98.47%

Hello I have a wireless adsl router in preparation for broadband arriving in our area soon long story and have some questions Network help!?!? Wifi Wifi Router / I have a laptop with wifi card and want to setup a home network with this and my PC plugged-in via LAN Wifi Router / Wifi Network help!?!? cable to the router laptop is XP PC is Win Wifi Router / Wifi Network help!?!? K I can t seem to get this to work one minute the PC can see the laptop in network neighbourhood and then the other way round but I can never access shared directories on either is there a good guide somewhere to Wifi Router / Wifi Network help!?!? set this up Also shouldn t I be able to use the router from the PC as if it were a wifi card i e on the laptop once the wifi card is plugged in it displays all wifi networks in the area and their signal strength etc how can I do this using the router PC With the laptop I can connect to our neighbours wifi router and use their bradband connection but I want to do the same from the PC is that possible Thanks in advance all P S router is a D-Link DSL- nbsp

Relevancy 94.6%

Hi all,

I am new to TechSpot. Actually, I need some help setting up my wireless network at home. currently, I am using Dlink 502T DSL router for internet and trying to connect the Dlink router to Netgear wireless router WGR614 for wirelss internet connection to other PC's. Could anybody please tell me how to connect these routers. I am trying to connect Dlink with netgear but i am unable to configure the same. When i use Dlink router directly with the PC, my internet works fine but when i try to use netgear inbetween Dlink router and a PC, my internet stops working. Please suggest. I want to distribute internet to my other computer thru netgear wireless router. please help...

ndhingra
http://www.techspot.com/vb/images/icons/icon5.gif

A:how to configure Dlink ADSL router and Netgear Wireless router for internet distrib

Ndhingra said:

Hi all,

I am new to TechSpot. Actually, I need some help setting up my wireless network at home. currently, I am using Dlink 502T DSL router for internet and trying to connect the Dlink router to Netgear wireless router WGR614 for wirelss internet connection to other PC's. Could anybody please tell me how to connect these routers. I am trying to connect Dlink with netgear but i am unable to configure the same. When i use Dlink router directly with the PC, my internet works fine but when i try to use netgear inbetween Dlink router and a PC, my internet stops working. Please suggest. I want to distribute internet to my other computer thru netgear wireless router. please help...

ndhingra
http://www.techspot.com/vb/images/icons/icon5.gifClick to expand...

The easiest way is to run the CD that should have come with the Router, if you havent got it then you will have to configure it manually.

Full instructions can be found on the netgear website here.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-configure-dlink-adsl-router-and-netgear-wireless-router-for-internet-distrib.60584/
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi FASTER Bridge ethernet-->wifi using vs - MUCH Wifi with Bridge router there If you've a spare Wifi vs ethernet-->wifi Bridge using router - MUCH FASTER with Bridge old router which you can set up as a wifi bridge and connect a bit of LAN cable from Laptop into the Bridge router you'll generally get FAR better performance from even a cheap router Logic behind this is that most Wifi adapters are half duplex whereas a router is full duplex and throughput will be significantly better Another advantage is that you can still use GHZ band even if your PC or whatever only can handle GHZ wifi If your router doesn't have bridging facilities you can often do it by a firmware upgrade --for most routers try this www dd-wrt com Unleash Your Router Note --this is the Bridging router --not your main one that you use to connect to your ISP with --don't want to cause people to have inoperable boxes I've found using a Router as a bridge far better than having to have loads of LAN cable all round the house --and also antennae in wifi routers are hugely better than most built in Wifi cards so you can in a lot of cases avoid extra slowdown caused by wifi extenders In my quot man shed quot -- a good metres from the main house - could just about get Mib s on a very poor GHZ wifi signal from the wifi card Laptop now acceptable - still with GHZ wifi but using quot Bridged quot method with an old EDIMAX wifi port router Around Mib s still a lot slower by about X - I'm getting nearly Gb s download in main house on GHZ wifi --ISL has excellent Internet than in the main house but perfectly OK for streaming Football etc when friends are around and we're all drinking Beer etc -- no complaints from quot the Other quot about noise cheers of quot Goooooal quot clearing up etc etc Good even for a SLOW Ping -- remember I'm over metres away from my House and on GHZ Wifi -- GHZ not receivable at that distance added -- even if your PC laptop doesn't have a LAN connector it's still worthwhile doing this with a USB-- gt Lan adapter -- even a USB -- gt LAN works really well -- USB speed will easily handle Mib s and adapter can cost as little as EUR - those cheap Chinese unbranded ones work fine too I've had simultaneous connections through that Bridge router this way -- guys had laptops with no LAN cards - they used the adapters --all very happy USB quot -- gt LAN adapter-- gt Lan cable-- gt Port on Bridge router Cheers jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/67451-wifi-vs-ethernet-wifi-bridge-using-router-much-faster-bridge.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Guys I just want you to look at my setup in my net cafe as of now if there will be some problems that may occur... ANd I also have a question regarding this setup...

ISP's are from same provider using a Motorola Canopy.
Routers are connected for gamers to play LAN games.
Router 1 has an IP of 192.168.0.1
Router 2 has an IP of 192.168.0.2
Default Gateway of Client PC's and Server 1 connected in Router 1 were configured manually to 192.168.0.1
Default Gateway of Client PC's and Server 2 connected in Router 2 were configured manually to 192.168.0.2

My question is...
Will both of my Internet Connections work together???
or One Connection will automatically shut down and all of the PC's will hook their internet connections to the other one???

Any answers or suggestions to make my setup better will be appreciated...

Thank you very much...

A:Dlink DI-604 to Dlink DI-604 router to router connection

I think you are likely to have issues here, why not simply use a dual-WAN router, much cleaner and it will provide automatic load balancing and fail-over functionality.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dlink-di-604-to-dlink-di-604-router-to-router-connection.929008/
Relevancy 91.16%

How would one set up a home wifi network with a non-wifi router? I have a router for my voip phone but it is not wireless. Do I just add a wireless card to my main PC?

I do not want to remove my current router. None of the wifi routers I have looked at have VOIP ports on the back.

Will adding a wifi PCI card do the trick? Most of the wifi cards show them in use with a wifi router.

A:wifi with non-wifi router

what about a wifi access point that plugs into an ethernet port on your existing router?

you can use a wifi card to do the same, but its a bit fiddly..

by the way, is it just to network pc's only?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-with-non-wifi-router.51270/
Relevancy 89.87%

Have a verizon router actiontec mi424wr all of the sudden I cannot conect to the internet thru wifi I have directv 2 laptops and a cell phon and now nothing will connect to the internet had verizon send me a new router and still same problem. I get 2 messages one connection is limited and the other not valid ip address. can anyone help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-wifi-help.1163874/
Relevancy 89.87%

Windows 10 trendnet tew711br TWC ethernet connection

Worked ok at first than I forgot password and tried to reset. Now all I can get is ethernet and cannot connect to chromecast or other devices. Wifi sign is there but it remains on ethernet. Help and thanks.

Relevancy 89.87%

I was selected to participate in the FCC's broadband tests facilitated by Sam Knows (SamKnows - Building a broadband measurement solution for Europe and America)

They are suposed to be sending a Netgear WNR3500L and I would like to know how it stacsk up against the NetGear WNR1000v2 (Wireless N 150 Router)

Thank you for your help

A:Can you tell me which is the better Wifi router?

Well you could do a side by side comparrision and decide what you think. Here's the WNR3500L Answer

Then the WNR1000 v2 Answer

Check the specs and look at the forum questions and problems.
Just a thought
Fabe

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/138226-can-you-tell-me-better-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 89.87%

The thing is that I want a n router, a wifi one. Now I want QoS and good port forwarding since is going to be for gaming. Also it has to have good coverage.
Also I have heard about some that come with a USB extension for a hard drive so you can have a newtowork hard drive. Is that true or you need a nas hdd for that?

So as you can see I would appreciate a lot of feedback, some models, brands, links, etc. It's all going to help.

Thanks guys.

Relevancy 89.87%

can i connnect 2 computer (1pc and 1 laptop) wirelessly without a router. if so what do i need and slo do any of you guys know of any good wifi tools about that are free. thanks

Relevancy 89.87%

What wifi router should i get for windows 7? if it helps i have a lenovo tower. thanks

Relevancy 89.87%

So currently i have a Netgear WNR2000V4 and it sucks! the speed of it drops from 60mbps to 20mbps and stays there. even after reboot. it sucks and nothing will fix it.

so im in the lookings for a new router. im looking to spend less then $70. anyone know of a really good 300mbps router? i will be connecting 10+ devices to it at all times.

i was looking into these but open to suggestions:

D-Link Xtreme Gigabit Wireless N300 Router (DIR-655) - Newegg.com

TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND Wireless N Gigabit Router Up to 300Mbps/ USB port x1/ Detachable Antenna x3/ IP QoS/ QSS Button - Newegg.com

Relevancy 89.87%

I have a Belkin wireless router. I have a Belkin wireless print server. The router is not connected to the Internet because where I live, only has WIFI service. Which means I also have a Linksys Speed Booster,WUSBG54 to connect to the internet. My problem is that my print server will only print if the CAT 5E is connected from my laptop to the router. At that point I lose my Internet connection. I have to unplug the CAT 5E from the back to gain Internet access.
Is this the way it has to be?

A:WIFI Router

Configure the router and get the wireless printer to work. Through the router, (it should not need the internet to print), Then Configure the wireless adapter to connect to the internet. Not sure, but it should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-router.477205/
Relevancy 89.87%

I am using virtual router+ in my laptop....and using wifi with my xperia L.....but for a few days after connecting wifi with my phone it's not working...it just works for a second then autometically disconneted......its neither my mobile problem nor software it just a problem of my laptop.....please give me a solution.....what should I do?????????????

A:Wifi router

Simplest and easiest solution is the get a "real" wireless router & connect your laptop & phone accordingly.

Need a few questions answered before we can really help you further because there are too many vague things in your initial question...

Who is the ISP?
Did the ISP provide you with a cable modem or DSL modem? Does it have built in WIFI?
How did you setup the wifi from the virtual router software? WEP, WPA, etc?
Is the laptop connected to cable/dsl via wire or is it wireless? if it's wireless then for God's sake just use that wifi for your phone as well!
Is the laptop a PC or Mac? What version of Windows or Mac OS X are you running?

Post back, Hope this helps!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-router.198600/
Relevancy 89.87%

Hello fellas i need to connect my dumb Xbox to connect to to modem--->not Solved: live!!! wifi able laptop+wifi xbox360+USB live for it does not play any movies and asks to connect to live that i am unable to do OKey here is the plit- gt i have a usb modem that i connect into my laptop wihch has wifi n all that now i create an adhoc n w first on lapi--the xbox detects and connects but still test connection fails the xbox is unable to connect to the adhoc n w second i Solved: wifi laptop+wifi xbox360+USB modem--->not able to connect to live!!! tried creating a adhoc n w on my xbox-- gt lapi connects to that n w but still the test conncetion fails on the xbox I have checked quot Allow users to use this n w quot for my USB modem connection which i use to connect to Solved: wifi laptop+wifi xbox360+USB modem--->not able to connect to live!!! the internet In Properties-- gt Sharing But here it asks to select the n w connection out of options Wireless conn Wireless conn Local Area Conn Sometimes it shows only Wileless Conn and LAN i tried every possible combination of all these settings but nothing is working The internet on my laptop works fine I am using Win Home Premium I just need to connect my Xbox to my laptop wirelessely and use the internet connection my laptop is using i tried some manual settings of ip subnet n dns server on my xbox n lapi in this case the xbox connects to the network while connection test but does not connects to laptop HELP guys nbsp

A:Solved: wifi laptop+wifi xbox360+USB modem--->not able to connect to live!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wifi-laptop-wifi-xbox360-usb-modem-not-able-to-connect-to-live.1032051/
Relevancy 89.01%

Ive only had causes cut to HP router wifi notebook in out and my computer for a few weeks nbsp When I first started HP notebook causes wifi router to cut in and out using it it was very slow and the wifi kept cutting in and out nbsp I thought it was an issue with just my computer until everyone in my house was having the HP notebook causes wifi router to cut in and out same problem I was having nbsp Cutting off at the same time nbsp So I thought it was the router we never had any problems before I got this computer nbsp But I HP notebook causes wifi router to cut in and out thought about it and noticed that the time I got the computer was the same time we started to have router problems nbsp So I turned my computer off for a day nbsp NO router problems for any of the other computers nbsp I turn it back on for a day router problems for everyone nbsp nbsp I homeschool so my computer is vital to my kids schooling nbsp Because there computers are connected to mine to do school wirelessly nbsp So right now I have it hooked up to my router by ethernet cable very inconvient this way cause these really no safe place to put my computer where the router is set up nbsp And it works great on just the cable nbsp No wifi cut offs for anyone esle either nbsp So my computer is causing the Wifi crashing nbsp I have done all my Windows and HP updates nbsp And have updated my wireless driver Realtrk RTL EE nbsp Wifi rounter info Huawel Technologies Model HG eCompter specs HP Notebook Windows bit Intel i U GB memory TB Hard Drive

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/HP-notebook-causes-wifi-router-to-cut-in-and-out/td-p/5657923
Relevancy 89.01%

I m looking for unresponsive Router WiFi some advice from people WiFi Router unresponsive who know a bit about wireless router hardware I help run a small but busy pub in the highlands We have a standard TP-Link wifi router which we currently allow free access to for customers In the winter when the pub is quiet we have no problems with the router at all However when it gets very busy devices struggle to connect to the router I m uncertain as to whether the sheer volume of traffic is just slowing our internet connection down to a halt or if it s a matter that the router just wasn t built to deal with the kind of volume that it s getting My instincts tell me that it s probably the latter since it s the router that devices are having trouble connecting to Would you concur with that assessment If so are there higher capacity routers that might do the job better Or would we be better moving towards a pay-per-use model to slow down use of the router Thanks a lot nbsp

Relevancy 89.01%

I have an HP Mini laptop with Windows XP pro and It will no longer connect to my wireless router It started with McAfee Security Center warning me that my computer was not protected When I clicked fix nothing happened except to router WiFi connect Can my not that after my Wifi connection will not stay connected I scanned the system and found nothing I downloaded Malware Bytes Can not connect to my WiFi router and two other spyware products and Malware Bytes found anything and removed something called Perfessional Malware Next I uninstalled McAfee which did not solve the problem Next I repaired the IPStack then ran Winsocketfix routine Then I reloaded all device drivers from the manufacture CD and still no internet Then I downloaded and ran Combefix I also encountered this forum and followed instructions to created an attach txt DDS txt file and GMER log I am ready to upload those files when appropriate The last thing I tried was to hard code the IP address etc in the wireless connection That has allowed me to connect to a nearby unsecured connection but to weak to see the internet I still cannot connect to my wireless router I forgot to mention I have a Wire modem router Thanks in advance for your help

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308506/can-not-connect-to-my-wifi-router/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi everyone I m looking for a new wifi router I m looking for simultaneous ghz ghz My house is decently sized so good range is necessary but nothing exceptionally big larger than average American house At most about concurrent sessions Don t really care for custom firmware Don t really care for features just need to be able to port forward which I m confident any router can do Won t be doing anything outside of regular home use It needs to have at least one ethernet port Want it to be fast of course So I don t know if this matters or not but it will be placed in the middle floor corner of a Suggest Router new Wifi the house so if it d be possible to direct the Suggest a new Wifi Router signal both up and down that s good since usually the radiation pattern is mostly upward outward I Suggest a new Wifi Router don t think any exist that let you point the signal directionally degrees but that s ideal Suggest a new Wifi Router Modem is Motorola SURFboard SB I m not looking to spend a whole bunch and as you can see I don t think there are a lot of specific features that I need so don t throw me the most expensive ones possible I m guessing I can get everything I asked for for or less Thanks for reading willing to order online in the US or drive to the nearest best buy if the price is the same as online nbsp

A:Suggest a new Wifi Router

I have the Netgear N600 and I love it! It is a great all round router. It goes for $75 on Amazon and the Gigabit version goes for $5 more. I would avoid Belkin routers since I have heard bad things about them. The Linksys N900 router also seems to be a possibility.

I would highly recommend the Netgear router (N600) because it is a good value for the performance. Keep in mind, when looking for a router, you should probably ignore the mbps ratings since your connection is probably not realistically close to that level. Look at warranties, reviews, and reliability. We have a ton of devices connected to the router at once (at least 10) and it works fine. It makes me lag a bit when gaming from time to time but that isn't usually the case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/suggest-a-new-wifi-router.204240/
Relevancy 89.01%

Admittingly, I know little about networking and WiFi routers.

But I can't help wonder why two lights (labeled Wireless and Ethernet) flash on my Linksys WiFI router when my PC works on a document, searches for a file, or performs other routine functions that don't involve accessing the Internet or LAN.

Is it paranoid to think that information being transmitted despite a firewall and anti-virus software that claims my PC is clean? Or are these router lights flash for reasons other than indicating transmission? Note: they don't flash when the Ethernet cable is disconnected from the PC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 89.01%

I'm using a DLink router for my wifi and use the Internet on my new iPhone 6+. On my speedtest app I am getting both a download and upload speed that seems adequate. The Ping is showing as 13ms. Despite this any image opens very slowly or not at all. Outside my home, images open without an issue, hence not a phone problem. What could be the issue here

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-router-problem.1167431/
Relevancy 89.01%

I'm going to re-format my C: drive in the next few days. The computer's slow as anything and it keeps crashing alot.

I run a WiFi router from it, to serve as a connection for my laptop. I presume I will have to re-install the drivers and set-up from scratch. What settings should I look at writing down so all this is easier to do? It took me ages to get it up and running first time. I run Zone Alarm.

A:WiFi router set-up after format

Well, unless you have a very unusual configuration, your router or the connection to the laptop should not be affected at all. If you have a wired connection to the desktop, the default TCP/IP configuration after the install will connect just fine. Obviously, you'll have to configure ZoneAlarm to allow access, that that's not anything to do with the router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-router-set-up-after-format.370534/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi guys I bought a dlink wireless N router DIR- l two days back and i m not able to set up the connection I have made all the connections usb to router router to my Pc as indicated in the user manual i was supposed to open a browser and type quot http quot or quot http dlinkrouter quot to get the setup wizard but it always says quot webpage not available quot no matter how many times I try Am i am missing something here Should i change anything else before doing this btw wen i ping it says dhcp is disabled and im totally clueless if that affects in anyway This is my first time using a wifi router and i m totally stuck Any help would be really appreciated Thank you i have tried changing the static help need router setting up wifi ip or whatever to the router range as suggested by someone else n wen i do that i cannot connect to need help setting up wifi router the internet at all i m not that familiar with all the internet terminologies so please make it as simple as possible nbsp

A:need help setting up wifi router

Reset the router to factory defaults and then connect a computer to a router LAN port. If you still cannot access the router's configuration pages ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after each command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-setting-up-wifi-router.1134528/
Relevancy 89.01%

i have purchased a new wifi router i have configured it to an open authentication
i have a laptop windows7 ultimate (dell). It shows my network but whenever i say connect it says "connecting" and then "windows was unable to connect".

Thanks

A:wifi router not connecting

Quote: Originally Posted by diasansley

i have purchased a new wifi router i have configured it to an open authentication
i have a laptop windows7 ultimate (dell). It shows my network but whenever i say connect it says "connecting" and then "windows was unable to connect".
Thanks

We need a lot more info. Like your systems specs, what router, what network setup, etc.
Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/127984-wifi-router-not-connecting.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I had a Linksys WRT54G installed on my desktop & laptop using a wired connection.
I changed my connection from a wired to a wireless using the ATT 3G USB Mercury 885 adapter and now only use the laptop.

I uninstalled the Linksys router program and thought everything was removed but my WIFI connection still has this router listed in the network as being active. I have tried to remove this from the network connection and could not do it.

Any ideas on how to correct this would be appreciated.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-removal-of-old-router.829831/
Relevancy 89.01%

Ok I know the basic setup for normal connection INTERNET to ROUTER using WIFI lt pc pc so my question is my router is in my house my friend a few houses down and router wifi question can t get net right now so hes using a netgear wg v usb adapter to gain internet thru my wifi his son s laptop wifi and router question s wifi card can t get my wifi from their house Is it possible that I can hook up a router with wifi to his netgear usb adapter and set it up so the adapter picks up my wifi signal passes it to the router and their router can spread the signal thru their house so his son can pick it up I hope this can be understood Ill try to do a small diagram x and x just random houses my house r router wifi o x a d x friends house netgear picking up my wifi hooked to router with wifi Can this be used to repeat the signal so sons laptop can get it anyway again hope this is understood i don t see why it woulnd t work but then again networking isn t my forte any questions comments ill answer as best i wifi and router question can thanks for any help nbsp

A:wifi and router question

You should be able to achieve this by a wireless repeater.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Wire...xtender/dp/B000IE8STS/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

It does depend on the range from your current router and where you place the repeater though.

It is also possible to configure some routers to be repeaters - albeit slightly more tricky than just buying a repeater. Again, it does depend on signal strength etc. The repeating has to come from a router - not from a receiving card.

If you log onto your friends router, there might be a "Repeater Mode" or something similar. Alternatively, give it a google to see if someone has found a way to do it.

Search for example:

Belkin WG2400 convert to repeater

Hope that helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-and-router-question.1087515/
Relevancy 89.01%

I have a BSNL Wimax internet India connection I get input from a terrace antenna to a modem OX P An ethernet cable is then connected between the modem and the laptop My internet works perfectly fine when the ethernet cable is plugged in directly to the laptop I have also got a TP-Link TL-WR N Mbps Wireless N Router When I plug in the output from the modem OX P to the WAN port blue on TL-WR N my internet worked for a week via the wifi router without any configuration My internet service went down for a week due to a fault When it was restored the internet via the modem to laptop via an ethernet cable works but doesn t work when I give the output wifi via router internet No of the modem OX P to the wifi router WAN port I have tried resetting both the wifi router and the modem to original settings MAC cloning etc but nothing seems to help Also disabled DHCP on wifi router but no joy The WAN light turns off as soon as I connect to the modem via the ethernet cable I have a feeling that something isn t right with my modem Can someone please help nbsp

Relevancy 89.01%

My Netgear router always worked fine until i formatted my computer, after that it will still broadcast the wifi signal which i can search up and see, however nothing is able to connect to it, my psp, ps3, laptop, iphone, etc.

I reset my wifi many times and set it up all over again however nothing is able to connect to its signal wirelessley

can someone give me some tips for fixing this please.

Thank you,

-Leo

Relevancy 89.01%

Tried configuring wifi router on my laptop but the login page was not loading.....neither on chrome nor on IE.
Later Successfully configured Router through mobile, i was able to use internet through wifi on my mobile without any problem.
When i again tried to use wifi on laptop it shows following errors. Pls help ...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/380817-cant-configure-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi evrybody! i am new here and my english is not very good, sorry)Please help me,- what to do? i got a new HP notebook, we instoled Windows 8.1, and at home i tryed to connect it to wifi. The problem is: only very close to the router- my new PC can see it, and when i go as far as let say 3-5 m- no wifi and even its dosnt see any network/ ( my DELL- old one- even can see others wifi from the street, and can be connected to my network evrewhere in my 3 levels  house/ its a big problem for me- i cant seet next to the router only to stay conected to wifi/My rouer is new also and good/ Smthg wrong with my new HP or it can be fixed somehow? thank u  for cleaf advise!!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/pc-dosnt-see-wifi-far-from-router/td-p/5793535
Relevancy 89.01%

I have the linksys WAP11 router and only one computer (laptop(MAC)) works on it at a time. I called Linksys but they say I have to pay $ to get the answer ( I am out of warranty period). Any advice. I am using two MAC's and have my modem connecting to my Wireless Access Point WAP11 wifi router.

A:How do I use 2 laptops on one wifi router?

It looks like the WAP11 is only an Access Point. Do you have a router connected as well? The router allows you to have mulitple computers online at the same time. Right now you are only connected through your modem, which allows 1 computer to connect at a time.

You need to get a router if you do not have one. Once you have a router, you can post back and we will help you set it up.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-use-2-laptops-on-one-wifi-router.77515/
Relevancy 89.01%

My neibour have a WiFi network. He allowed me to access his network. But the signal is very weak in my home. I have a WiFi router in home which can be setup in WiFi range extender mode. I don't have a modem at home. Only this WiFi router. If I configure this router , can I connect my desktop PC to this router for accessing that WiFi network. ????
Is it possible without having a modem???

Relevancy 89.01%

can malwares or viruses come from a wifi router in a public; a coffee shop, a public library, a restaurant, or school?

A:malwares from a wifi router?

In public wireless places, malware comes from the other computers that are on the network, not the router. Always make sure your firewall is set to public, so it will stealth its ports to all other computers on the public wifi network. That way, other computers will not be able to see your computer while connected to the network. Other than that, it is no different from being at home.........There is always a risk of a malware infection any time you are on the web. Always use antivirus software, keep it up to date and do periodic scans with Malwarebytes and HitMan Pro (both are free).

http://www.surfright.nl/en HitMan Pro
http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Malwarebytes

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/243446-malwares-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I have a NetGear WNDR330 wireless N dual requency router,using Comcast cable,works well is fast. Lately,on boot up to Dell XPS1530 it is taking about 2 minutes to connect used to take 15 seconds. Did update to Service Pack 2 last week.

Please help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-router-connectivity.834849/
Relevancy 89.01%

I have an internal ATT Novatel Mobile Broadband Card that connects internally to the internet. Can I connect two computers using a router? What router should I use? I also want to use a print server. I do not have an external DSL modem.
The wireless connection says Dell 5520 Cingular Mobile Broadband (3G HSDPA)

Relevancy 89.01%

Really just curious if I am the only one that keeps a second cheap, or just older wifi router as backup.

I have an E4200 setup with the same ssid/password, and as many other general settings possible as my primary wifi router, (Netgear R8000). If the primary tanks, I just plug in the backup. I would think the people that play around with alternate firm wares would keep a backup router just in case of bricking.

A:Anyone else keep a backup wifi router?

Gorankar said:

Really just curious if I am the only one that keeps a second cheap, or just older wifi router as backup.

I have an E4200 setup with the same ssid/password, and as many other general settings possible as my primary wifi router, (Netgear R8000). If the primary tanks, I just plug in the backup. I would think the people that play around with alternate firm wares would keep a backup router just in case of bricking.Click to expand...

I don't keep a backup WiFi router, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea. I guess it really depends on your situation. If my primary router were to go down, it wouldn't be a big deal as I would be able to hook up a cable almost anywhere in my home. I could also pick up a new router relatively easy from any nearby stores.

https://hardforum.com/threads/anyone-else-keep-a-backup-wifi-router.1905954/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello,
I bought a Linksys router E1000. I connected my PC (Windows 7)with wire. I also connectedmy father laptop (Windows 7) with integrated WiFi modem in it. Everything worked fine. Then I tried to connect my sisters laptop (Win XP) , it did not have integrated WiFi adapter, so I bought the D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N USB Adapter Nano. I installed it drivers, it saw my router, but it couldn't connect. It connected couple of times, but only for a few seconds. What I should do?

A:WiFi, router and Windows XP

Kothas said:

Hello,
I bought a Linksys router E1000. I connected my PC (Windows 7)with wire.
I also connectedmy father laptop (Windows 7) with integrated WiFi modem in it.

I tried to connect my sisters laptop (Win XP) , it did not have integrated WiFi adapter, so I bought the D-Link DWA-131 Wireless N USB Adapter Nano. I installed it drivers, it saw my router, but it couldn't connect. It connected couple of times, but only for a few seconds. What I should do?Click to expand...

Frequently we see that mixed-mode (eg G,N) connections interfere with each other - - force the Linksys to G-Only mode will usually allow all to connect

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wifi-router-and-windows-xp.158402/
Relevancy 89.01%

Does anyone know if the TDL- virus I have a variant of it is able to infect a computer through a neighbors unsecured router As careful as I am I keep getting it back I used to run a hosting company year ago and have a good amount of experience with PC s never seen anything like this before however I m trying to figure out how I got it on my brand new PC within minutes after I opened it running Win Home Premium gt Before first boot I unplugged my router cable modem wifi switch Router? TDL-4 / Virus Through Wifi on PC shut off and shut down all other PC s owned gt Created Restore DVD s via brand new blank DVD TDL-4 Virus Through Wifi / Router? s gt Installed TDL-4 Virus Through Wifi / Router? Kapersky Anti-Virus using store bought CD and scanned gt Plugged in modem only and ran hardwire connection to PC wifi and router still off gt Installed All Windows Updates and Kapersky updates and ran full scan again gt Installed and updated Malwarebites from manufacture website http www malwarebytes org receieved noticed of blocked tunneling attack gt Installed and ran hijack this manufacture website http free antivirus com hijackthis Which verified I had TDL- Bootkit Is this even possible Any idea what steps I should take once I get it back from Sony and it s clean I hope

A:TDL-4 Virus Through Wifi / Router?

Hello, I moved this to Am I Infected as you probably have not removed it. I doubt it went across. But if they are redirecting then its another problem and needs to be fixed.Download the FixTDSS.exeSave the file to your Windows desktop.Close all running programs.If you are running Windows XP, turn off System Restore. How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System RestoreDouble-click the FixTDSS.exe file to start the removal tool.Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.Restart the computer when prompted by the tool.After the computer has started, the tool will inform you of the state of infection (make sure to let me know what it said)If you are running Windows XP, re-enable System Restore.Download aswMBR to your desktop.Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.Click the "Scan" button to start scan:On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply:NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it. Checkmark the following checkboxes: Flush DNS Report IE Proxy Settings Reset IE Proxy Settings Report FF Proxy Settings Reset FF Proxy Settings List content of Hosts List IP configuration List Winsock Entries List last 10 Event Viewer log List Installed Programs List Devices List Users, Partitions and Memory size. List Minidump FilesClick Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/440512/tdl-4-virus-through-wifi-router/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello, Could anyone suggest me a great wifi N router? Something not too expensive. Maybe sub-$100 range. Two things that are most important to me - range and connection stability. I'm not too big on throughput and I dont stream any video wirelessly. I've heard a lot about the D-link DIR 655. Its one of the oldest around and seems to be still quite popular.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-decent-wifi-n-router.978549/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hey So I move house tomorrow and the apartment building I am moving into has free wifi which is rare and fantastic my router wifi like a dongle? Can use I the only issue is I have been using powerline for ages so Can I use my router like a wifi dongle? now need to look at alternative methods of connecting I have a TL-WR N by TP-Link and I was wondering if I am able to use this in a similar way to a wifi dongle so connecting the the building wifi and then plugging my PC into the router via a ethernet cable Basically they have on the ground floor a wifi router and I will be in the basement so I am worried I will need quite a strong wifi signal to connect to it hence wanting to the use the TP-Link as its got two aerials and a very strong signal on it I know this is something best to ask when there but I want to know if there is anything I can do while I still have the internet to make the process easier once I ve moved If this is not possible does anyone have any suggestions of wifi dongles which have very powerful signal ranges Thanks loads nbsp

A:Can I use my router like a wifi dongle?

If the router has Wireless Bridge (also called AP Client) mode it can be used as you desire (to "extend" a wireless network to an ethernet segment). Check the user guide or browse through the configuration pages to determine the router's capabilities.

Many USB wireless adapters have an integrated antenna and are just one piece (like a USB flash drive) while others have an external antenna and include a short USB cable. In general the latter type are better for working with a weaker signal and, of course, are more easily placed in a better location.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-use-my-router-like-a-wifi-dongle.1152674/
Relevancy 89.01%

I have a pocket wi-fi being shared by 3 laptops.. I want to connect a Zyxel Wireless N-lite Home Router so that I can also plug-in other LAN connected devices, e.g. VOIP phone. Is there a way to connect it or are there other devices I need for this internetworking. By the way, currently the router is connected to WiMAX broadband modem which I want disconnected already due to low available bandwidth.

The laptops OS are XP, Vista and Windows 7 and MacOS.

Thanks very much guys and more power to you.

Relevancy 89.01%

A friend purchased a new laptop and signed up for Clearwire broadband That is broadband broadcast from an antenna router wifi Waterproof and he is at the very edge of the transmit range Waterproof wifi router about miles from the antenna Waterproof wifi router They provide a modem indicating signal strength one to five bars The only place at his homesite to get over one strength bar is at the far end of his exterior deck There is a waterproof modem made to match the Clearwire broadcast and an electrical plug is available on the deck The problem is connecting that exterior modem to a computer located inside the house It seems there are three choices hardwire the modem with a long cord to the PC through a window hardwire the modem to a router inside the house with a long cord through a window hardwire the modem to an EXTERNAL ROUTER with a short cord no wiring into the house I searched Google for waterproof router with poor results-everything from bedpans to waterproof paints for router carved furnature HELP-can someone aim me toward a waterproof router or enclosure suitable to house an external router nbsp

A:Waterproof wifi router

Get a water proof electrical box and house it in there and mount an external antenna. Or run the cat 5 under the deck to the house. One run would not be that hard to pull and terminate.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/waterproof-wifi-router.636185/
Relevancy 89.01%

I guys, heres my configuration

modem (wired)---->TW100-S4W1CA (wired)---->Nexxt Nebula 150

I want to have a wifi connection trhough the nebula for laptops, ipad y cellphones, but i can only get to the nebula setup screen and no wireless connection

Can u help?

Thanks
Reuben

Relevancy 89.01%

I was 2 = Repeater? WiFi Router X thinking about this the other night If it s dumb WiFi Router X 2 = Repeater? question I m sure that everyone will rush to helpfully point this out but can t you make a repeater out of two WiFi routers If a distant wireless Internet AP is out of range of part of your network and you can t move the access point can t you take a router located just within range configure it to client mode on the AP s channel say then run an ethernet cable from its output to the quot Internet in quot port or perhaps one of the switched ports I m not sure of a second router configured as an AP on a different channel say and then have that router be the Internet access point serving your more remote wireless computers Just asking here as a thought problem it s been nagging at me so badly I was preparing to go buy more routers simply to test it out but I thought I d save some money and ask here first Thanks for any clarification and help Fire away nbsp

Relevancy 89.01%

Hi All We have been using an unlimited data plan Tether on my win-ph cell phone for Internet in the house That's -PCs -tablets and -phone all using Wifi for Internet We have had zero problems internally but the cellular service is less than stellar so I have had the ADSL reconnected I am wondering if buying AC-wifi a or not? router new - Buying a new AC-Wifi router makes sense but then I read this page What is the actual real-life speed of wireless networks SG Buying a new AC-wifi router - or not? FAQ The thing being that the devices we are connecting to the Wifi-AP are all M G or N toys So I have gone back to the old trusty Buffalo -dual band DD-Wrt router and a Actiontec ADSL Modem as it seems more than adequate for Buying a new AC-wifi router - or not? our household needs I do have a TP-Link N modem router but the G band stopped working after three months and TP-Link have been moronically useless at fixing it I have turned off Wifi switch on back and just use it as a router for the home network I guess I could turn Wifi back on and disable the GHz band in setup Is the Actiontec modem GT D-NF likely to be a strangle-point Would the TP-Link N have better modem performance Thoughts and suggestions Thanks

A:Buying a new AC-wifi router - or not?

Only if you plan on streaming media off of a server, or have the option of getting Gb Internet in your area. Otherwise, just a waste of money.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/53839-buying-new-ac-wifi-router-not.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I have one of those motherboards which has an AC WiFI Adapter built on it... http://images.anandtech.com/doci/827...-ITX%20Top.jpg

That one to be exact.
Now I've followed these steps;

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NAME key=PASSWORD
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Putting those into CMD and it comes up fine as told in the tutorial.
The problem comes however in turning sharing on, this then turns my internet on the Ethernet port off, it'll say something like it being limited and stays on Unidentified Network forever on that Ethernet port. As soon as I turn sharing off on the Virtual Wifi connection I've made, the Ethernet internet then goes back to normal and I gain internet access again.

This is obviously useless because I need the internet through the Ethernet to be able to setup a Virtual WiFi Hotspot thingy.

Can anyone help?
Thanx.

A:Need help trying to set up a Virtual WiFi Router...

I've just tried a few free Virtual Hotspot programs that were most commonly used on the net, they all go to create the hotspot but fail.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/55109-need-help-trying-set-up-virtual-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 89.01%

In the past, I had a linksys wifi g modem router. Never had a problem.

Beg of this year I went for Wifi n and selected the Netgear DGN 3500 modem router. A disaster, always crashing down.

So I am looking to replace it for either a modem router or only router which support:
- Wifi N and G
- Glan (at least 2 ports)
- one USB for a network USB HDD.

Any advice?

A:advice for best wifi n router

This is what I have been using for a couple of years: Dlink DIR-655. It fits your criteria and it has been reliable. Costs about $100.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/96825-advice-best-wifi-n-router.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi all I'd say I'm quot very experienced quot or expert when it comes to networking but my experience with wireless AC is limited I currently have an Asus RT-N U that I absolutely love I do pro-AV and have installed dozens of those and never had an issue and they have incredible range and speed for the price I am ready to upgrade to AC but am kind of surprised the quot top end quot routers are all over I know there's tri-band and dual-band but does Help WiFi pick a (AP)! new Router me anyone have experience with the top end ones I don't necessarily need crazy speed from AC since if I need crazy speed I'm going to go gigabit Ethernet I'm eyeing the RT-AC U or RT-AC U right now Anyone have experience I'm open to other manufacturers but so far I think Asus does a nice job with their web interface and feature set BTW - I don't need Help me pick a new WiFi Router (AP)! this to do routing but I'd prefer a router to an AP in case this changes I know Asus has AP mode

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/55949-help-me-pick-new-wifi-router-ap.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi,
I have Windows 7 on Dell N4110. I am unable to connect to my netgear router wirelessly. If i restart the router, it may work for some time but then again gets disconnected. However, i can connect to it through wired connection. Others in my apartment can connect to the router. They dont have windows 7 (they use vista, ubuntu). Its working fine for them. I have tried many things like updating the router, disabling firewall, changing wireless security settings, updating windows but none of them seem to work. My friend who has the same laptop also cant connect when I cant. It happens simultaneously. As soon as my connection is disconnected, his also disconnects. Please let me know what the problem is.

A:Cannot connect to wifi on my router

lets see an xirrus screen shot

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.
http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/00475A/XirrusWiFiInspectorSetup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector/xirruswifiinspectorguide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

If you are using the Mac OS then use http://www.istumbler.net/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-connect-to-wifi-on-my-router.1045246/
Relevancy 89.01%

So I've tried setting up my desktop PC to create a hotspot so my mobile phone could get a WiFi internet connection at home However I've run into some problems I used some guide I found online that used the Command Prompt to set up desktop WiFi router as PC Using a hotspot using two lines netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode allow ssid Test key testingnetwork netsh wlan start hostednetwork And this seemed to work fine phone connected and I went online on it However I wanted this network to start automatically everytime I started up the PC So I put those lines in a batch file and used the task scheduler to set that bat file to run everytime I log in using administrator rights However it seemed that now my phone did connect to the network WiFi connection symbol appeared Using desktop PC as WiFi router but I didn't receive any data When I tried to run the script again the first line executed fine but when I tried to activate the network I got this message quot The hosted network couldn't be started The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation quot And in the network settings the created network didn't show up Any idea what might be going wrong

A:Using desktop PC as WiFi router

You don't have a wireless router, just a computer with a wireless adapter connected to the internet by cable? Just trying to be sure what is going on.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/50000-using-desktop-pc-wifi-router.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I bought the below model and i'm not particularly impressed with it , it costs me $79.99 + tax, i see Amazon has a 750 model for $10.00 more .

NETGEAR N600 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router (WNDR3400)

My computer is a Dell Inspiron running Win 7 sp1 64 bit , just a basic bare bones model really . A tablet running old android is the only other thing thats connects wirelessly and i'm not convinced the dual bands make a difference .

The tablet is still painfully slow and i see no improvement over my old 150 rated speed single band router .

Open to all suggestions

Thanks

A:Need advice on new WiFi router for under $100.00

In order to use the dual bands, namely the 5ghz band, you need a dual band adapter. A lot of things in your house can cause interference with the 2.4 ghz band, cordless phones, microwaves, etc. I use the 5 ghz band on the weekend when there are many 2.4 ghz connections around me. The 2.4 ghz works best through walls and other obstructions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/344028-need-advice-new-wifi-router-under-100-00-a.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I opened the router and followed the instructions for set up. Once plugges in , it popped up as an option in my network however when I went to set it up and start to use it , there was a connection problem from the website. It suggested that I unplug and reset the router and so I did. Once i did that, the connection no longer appeared at all. I am now having trouble with the router connecting period. Please help , as I really need to be able to access wifi in my house

A:Connecting wifi router to Mac

whats the make and model of the router
How is it connected to the internet - do you have a separate modem or is this router also a combination modem/router
who is your ISP and did they supply the router

Do you only have a Mac available ?
any PCs or other devices ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-wifi-router-to-mac.1158411/
Relevancy 89.01%

I'm switching from AT&T U-verse to Comcast since comcast can offer speeds up to 5x faster.

As you might know At&T uses ethernet as incoming signal vs. Comcast that uses 75 ohm cable.

I need to buy a new modem and router to install the new Comcast service.

I have two questions:

1) What is better? the combo modem/router units (i.e. Motorola SBG6580) or buying a separate stand-alone modem Motorola 6141 modem + Netgear N750 wireless router)?

2) I do have one issue to overcome. I have one TV in my house that is wired for cable only. That is, it has a cable run going to it. It's too difficult for me to install an ethernet run to it, so I'm stuck having to use the cable run. Are there modem/routers that have a cable OUT so that i can feed this TV its hard-wired signal?

Thanks,
bob

A:Solved: Modem/Router combo units vs. stand-alone modem + router?

see attachment

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-modem-router-combo-units-vs-stand-alone-modem-router.1103612/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi there,

My Canon MG 6120 printer used to work with all the computers in the house wirelessly. On upgrading the wifi modem, it is no longer recognised.

How do I get it to be recognised again?

Many thanks, Tony (using Win 10 64 bit on Gateway NV79 c0mputer)

A:Changed Wifi modem and cannot start wifi Printer

Canon PIXMA MG6120 Wireless Photo All-In-One Printer

Select Wireless Help, then select Re-establishing Printer Connection After A Network Change?.

The manual will download and appear in .PDF format so you can read it.

The information and diagrams you need will be there.

Note: You need to have Adobe Reader or some other PDF reader installed first, in order for the manual to load and be read.

--------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changed-wifi-modem-and-cannot-start-wifi-printer.1156599/