Windows Support Forum

hard reset for black screen

Q: hard reset for black screen

New HP envy x360 Model No. 15-x107ne has a problem of black screen. As I understand this problem can be solve by hard reset. So can anybody tell me the button combinatin to be pressed to get the screen back

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: hard reset for black screen

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: hard reset for black screen

Hard reset instructions: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768 Not guaranteed to work for you but worth a shot.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hard-reset-for-black-screen/td-p/5577888
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello, I was hoping maybe somebody could help me with this laptop. The issue I'm having is most of the time when I walk away from it and leave it on, upon returning the screen is just black, the computer is running but there is no response on the keyboard or mouse, which requires a hard shutdown and a restart. It then says it was not shut down properly, I start it up, and it runs fine until the next time I walk away and it does this freeze thing. I also want to note that it does not always do this, sometimes it sleeps like it should, but the problem is increasing in frequency.

A:Laptop screen goes black, requiring hard reset

No I have had this before its the drivers, the video card is going out, anything? Nobody on this forum has seen a laptop that would keep running but freeze on a black screen after going idle?

Take a guess!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262272-laptop-screen-goes-black-requiring-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hello So my Toshiba Satellite L D-S running Windows Ultimate -bit has been having random crashes that require a hard reset and I cannot figure out why And as hard requiring screen black crashes reset Random to of today the crashes have progressed to just appearing as though there was no battery and I pulled the plug on the laptop It happens completely out of the blue and I can be doing anything from browsing YouTube to gaming or Random crashes to black screen requiring hard reset just leave the laptop idle and it will still crash While gaming the CPU rarely reaches C before I crash and I have tried two different batteries and power supplies original ones the came with the laptop and ones I purchased from the company as extras a few months after receiving the laptop with no difference I have also tested four separate RAM sticks two gb and two gb and the same crashing still occurs Any insight as to why my laptop keeps crashing Thank you Joshdog My Specs Windows Ultimate -bit SP AMD K nm Technology GB Dual-Channel DDR MHz - - - TOSHIBA NALAE Socket M S G Generic Random crashes to black screen requiring hard reset PnP Monitor x Hz MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD Series Toshiba GB TOSHIBA MQ ABD SATA Disk Device SATA C HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT N SATA CdRom Device Realtek High Definition Audio

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/random-crashes-to-black-screen-requiring-hard-reset-1011418.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Windows Professional x Intel Core i - K Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost x KB L Cache MB L Cache LGA playing reset Black Diablo required. while 3, screen Hard BSOD. no W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX I K SAMSUNG Spinpoint F HD SJ TB RPM MB Cache SATA Black screen while playing Diablo 3, no BSOD. Hard reset required. Gb s Black screen while playing Diablo 3, no BSOD. Hard reset required. quot Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive GIGABYTE GA-Z X-UD -B LGA Intel Z SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG- W ATX V v EPS V v SLI Certified CrossFire Certified PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply XFX HD- A-ZNFC Radeon HD GB -bit DDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity Crucial M CT M SSD quot GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD G SKILL Sniper GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Desktop Memory Model F - CL D- GBSR Computer is about months old Game worked fine for the beta and even for a week or two after launch Randomly not on a patch day the game started crashing Now it crashes after or minutes in the game almost every time I've followed all the regular troubleshooting steps see Battle net thread here At first I didn't see any error logs but the Action Center came up today with a bunch of errors looking like this I included the recommended error files the dump files from the error in the above screenshot and the perfmon report It's worth mentioning that I tried it also in my Windows installation only to encounter the same problem I'm hoping someone with more experience dissecting these logs can help me out Please let me know if you require any additional information

A:Black screen while playing Diablo 3, no BSOD. Hard reset required.

VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (117)
The display driver failed to respond in timely fashion.

atikmpag.sys - AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver from Advanced Micro Devices
Timestamp: Tue May 22 20:08:40 2012

It appears a recently installed AMD driver is causing a fault with the DX driver; However, a TDR can be caused by your video card overheating. Use a temperature monitoring utility such as HWinfo64 to check the system temperatures. If you are overclocking the card, STOP overclocking until the problem is located.

Forgot to mention: Report back on your system temps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/234345-black-screen-while-playing-diablo-3-no-bsod-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Before I post the information here is the jyst of things Whenever I play -certain- games my computer display will suddenly go black and my monitor will flash with quot HDMI No Signal quot Information Sudden and dump Screen - Needs inside Black Reset Hard The system is completely unresponsive to any keystrokes If I repeatedly press ctrl alt delete or alt tab repeatedly a loud buzzing noise will begin sound off through my headset Some of the games I Sudden Black Screen Needs Hard Reset - Information and dump inside experience this issue in are Evil Genius Guild Wars Age of Mythology Medieval Total War Yet Sudden Black Screen Needs Hard Reset - Information and dump inside games such as Crysis Empire Total War Metro etc I can run on max settings and never experience this issue I do not experience blue screens but windows occasionally thinks it does This is what I received moments ago Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode e BCP BCP BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Windows Temp WER- - sysdata xml Can anyone help me pinpoint what may be causing this issue I'll attach everything grabbed by the SF Diagnostic Tool as well Thank you for your time

A:Sudden Black Screen Needs Hard Reset - Information and dump inside

Hello Jagblade.
It is caused by Razer Lycosa/Razer Tarantula Keyboard Driver. Older versions have BSOD issues with Win7.

Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1E, {0, 0, 0, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Lycosa.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Lycosa.sys
Probably caused by : Lycosa.sys ( Lycosa+1c23 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
And the driver is old enough.

Code:
5: kd> lmvm Lycosa
start end module name
fffff880`0a61d000 fffff880`0a624100 Lycosa T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: Lycosa.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Lycosa.sys
Image name: Lycosa.sys
Timestamp: Wed Sep 08 08:31:26 2010 (4C86FC86)
CheckSum: 0001462D
ImageSize: 00007100
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
Update it from www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view

Also do some general USB maintenance. For the port, first, uninstall and reinstall the USB ports drivers.
Right click on Computer icon > manage. It will open the computer management window.
Click on "Device Manager" in the left pane, it will list all installed devices up.
Expand "USB Serial Bus Controllers" by clicking on the triangle in front of it.
Click on one item to select, then right click and uninstall.
Do the same for all.
Restart the computer.
At restart, windows will auto configure the appropriate drivers.
And, Disable USB Selective Suspense too.
USB Selective Suspend - Turn On or Off

For the devices, first, detach all the USB devices other than the keyboard and mouse.
Then, Update the drivers for them all, including the keyboard and mouse, if any third party drivers are installed for them.

Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120% and Power Archiver Pro uses SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD), which is a well known BSOD causer. Uninstall Daemon Tools at first. Then download SPTD standalone installer from Disk-Tools.com, and execute the downloaded file as guided below :
Double click to open it.
Click this button only:

If it is grayed out, as in the picture, there is no more SPTD in your system, and you just close the window.
Free up the startup.
Click on the Start button
Type “msconfig (without quotes), click the resulting link. It will open the System Configuration window.
Select the “Startup” tab.
Deselect all items other than the antivirus.
Apply > OK
Accept the restart.
Uninstall AVG using AVG Remover. Use Microsoft Security Essentials as your antivirus with windows inbuilt firewall, and free MBAM as the on demand scanner.
Download and install and update those, and then run full system scans with both of them, one by one.

Let us know the results.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/274471-sudden-black-screen-needs-hard-reset-information-dump-inside.html
Relevancy 64.93%

What is the problem actually? I thought this is virus but when i scan with my AV nothing wrong...

A:pc black suddenly got to hard reset

Hi Gradeabra,

Based on no other information on your computer and your problem, I would say that reset is very likely due to overheat. May be a maintenance cleaning up would help.

Good luck and post back.

Bruce

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/283253-pc-black-suddenly-got-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi People I built my own PC and its been running great for years Using an SSD for OS and boot and TB black drive for games and programs I recently Game Screens reset. hard go gaming Only Black, Playing (HoN) needs installed quot Heroes of Newerth quot for some giggles I dont believe it is a highly intensive game on the GPU but i get some crazy crashes on my pc Pretty much Ill be running HoN and Skype and both screens just go black no sound or beeps no error nothing My keyboard nad mouse lights are still on My keyboard has multiple user levels each have different colour lights but none of the user levels work which makes me think the driver is not running on that so maybe the pc has 'mostly' crashed Ive done a SMART test and all good Done a memory test windows and no errors found Aside from this i dont know what the next step is Usually i solve these on my own but since there is no error I can't even google tog et something more sepcific ideas anyone Thanks for any advice or suggestions Gangel

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/64109-playing-game-hon-screens-go-black-needs-hard-reset-only-gaming.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi People I built my own PC and its been running great for years Using an SSD for OS and boot Black, Only (HoN) Playing go Screens Game reset. needs gaming hard and TB black drive for games and programs I recently installed quot Heroes of Newerth quot for some giggles Playing Game (HoN) Screens go Black, needs hard reset. Only gaming I dont believe it is a highly intensive game on the GPU but i get some crazy crashes on my pc Pretty much Ill be running HoN and Skype and both screens just go black no sound or beeps no error nothing My keyboard nad mouse lights are still on My keyboard has multiple user levels each have different colour lights but none of the user levels work which makes me think the driver is not running on that so maybe the pc has 'mostly' crashed Ive done a SMART test and all good Done a memory test windows and no errors found Aside from this i dont know what the next step is Usually i solve Playing Game (HoN) Screens go Black, needs hard reset. Only gaming these on my own but since there is no error I can't even google tog et something more sepcific ideas anyone Thanks for any advice or suggestions Gangel

http://www.tenforums.com/gaming/64109-playing-game-hon-screens-go-black-needs-hard-reset-only-gaming.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My desktop constantly bombs out, it goes to blackscreen, and then I have to reboot and log on.

I think that perhaps certain programs are outdated, but I do not know how to find the latest, as I am afaid of viruses. I have AVG.

A:Black screen and bombs out then I have to reset and log on

If you are afraid you might be infected please see our Virus and Malware Removal forum and read the UPDTAED 8 Step sticky. Follow the instructions and post on that forum with the required logs attached.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-and-bombs-out-then-i-have-to-reset-and-log-on.156602/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi please bear with me i ve never tried something like this to troubleshoot b Basically at seemingly random times my screen goes black and i have to hit the Reset button on my Chasis to get back to normal functionality The trick is i never get an Event in the Event Viewer to indicate the cause of the issue - i m inclined to believe it s either a Norton problem or some form of Malware I followed the listed instructions as well as i could however i had some issues with GMER even when disabling AV for it so i do not have a scan to post from that Here is the DDS stuff however - AV didn t seem to cause any hiccups with it as far as i could tell but if you need a fresh scan with AV off just holler DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Kevin at on Thu Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - AV Norton Security Suite On-access scanning enabled Updated E A - - -B - C C F FW Norton Security Suite enabled C A C -F F- AC Black to have Screen, button Chasis. hit Reset on -B -A E C F Running Processes C WINDOWS system nvsvc exeC WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunchsvchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcssvchost exesvchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files EVGA Precision EVGAPrecision exeC WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXEC WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXEsvchost exeC Documents and Settings Kevin Local Settings Apps OR OQZOH QM HBQRJN OE curs tion eee a b d e e CurseClient exeC Program Files Norton Security Suite Engine ccSvcHst exeC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvcC Program Files Norton Security Suite Engine ccSvcHst exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC WINDOWS system rundll exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Documents and Settings Kevin My Documents Downloads Computer-Related Security Check Stuff dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page about blankBHO Adobe PDF Link Helper Black Screen, have to hit Reset button on Chasis. df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dllBHO C C A-E - b - D - CECB - No FileBHO Symantec NCO BHO adb e- Black Screen, have to hit Reset button on Chasis. aff- - aa - dac dfa - c program files norton security suite engine coIEPlg dllBHO Symantec Intrusion Prevention d ec - aae- -aeee-f f c - c program files norton security suite engine IPSBHO DLLBHO Search Helper ebf - f- bff-a f-b Black Screen, have to hit Reset button on Chasis. e aac b - c program files microsoft search enhancement pack search helper SEPsearchhelperie dllBHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper d - c - abf- ecc- c - c program files common files microsoft shared windows live WindowsLiveLogin dllBHO DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - No FileBHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper e a dc - - a - ea-dc ec acf - c program files windows live toolbar wltcore dllTB amp Windows Live Toolbar fa ef- d- d - b f- a d - c program files windows live toolbar wltcore dllTB Norton Toolbar febefe - b - - d -ffb d b ca - c program files norton security suite engine coIEPlg dllmRun EVGAPrecision quot c program files evga precision EVGAPrecision exe quot smRun nwiz c program files nvidia corporation nview nwiz exe installquietmRun NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE c windows system NvCpl dll NvStartupmRun NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE c windows system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInitmRun RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXEStartupFolder c documents and settings kevin start menu programs startup CurseClientStartup ccipIE e e dd -d - - b -f ba - windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exeIE FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - c program files messenger msmsgs exeIE C - CB - a-A C -D FCDDC D - F B - A - F - DB-E F AEC - c program files windows live writer WriterBrowserExtension dllTrusted Zone internetTrusted Zone mcafee comDPF E DF - E - A - -C ED - hxxp content systemrequirementslab com s amazonaws com global bin srldetect cyri cabDPF -C A- E-A -C C BBF - hxxp download microsoft com download C C C CBBA -A F - D - B E- D LegitCheckControl cabDPF E A-... Read more

A:Black Screen, have to hit Reset button on Chasis.

As i've not had any black screens since my initial post and i'm having surgery monday with an expected 2 week hospital stay (not my best planning, posting late thursday knowing of the coming surgery, but i get nervous about computer security stuff and sort of panicked), i'm not quite sure what the best option would be in regards to this thread....If someone is already involved with looking at the logs and stuff, i leave it up to you as to how you would like to proceed, given this new information - whatever you feel is best is fine with me, and thank you for looking into my issue. If noone has started yet, please delete this thread - i'll make a new one after the hospital stay if needed.Also, i'm starting to think this is more likely a Driver, Hardware, or Norton issue, not Malware..... tho i could be wrong.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/347863/black-screen-have-to-hit-reset-button-on-chasis/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi i had problems with my wifi not working on my yoga 500 and after a hard reset/ factory reset i get boot, but after that , all I see is a black screen with a spinning/ rotating circle nothing else happens.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Black-screen-after-factory-reset-yoga-500/td-p/3413129
Relevancy 62.35%

I got a HP laptop win and Black factory screen reset attempt on when I attempt to do recovery restore or even a Img bkup it goes to a black screen with mouse cursor that I'm able to move around but it does nothing else even if I Black screen on factory reset attempt let it sit for hours I tried to use the built hp software to make a factory recovery disc Black screen on factory reset attempt but it said there was no recovery partition as if it were deleted but in fact a quick look with windows explorer shows it does exists Black screen on factory reset attempt and it perfectly intact plus the disk management shows it intact healthy and labeled as recovery As I said before I can reboot into the menu to choose to recover restore and everything else but once I select one i get the black screen with the mouse arrow Im trying to avoid buying the discs from hp Would there be something possibly hiding or blocking the recovery partition Maybe a bad registry entry I've tried setting folder options to show hidden files and system files Anyone have any recommendations

A:Black screen on factory reset attempt

I saw a website the other day that suggested turning off the Secure Boot on an HP machine. There seemed to be a process where you needed to enter a code you were given in order to turn it off.

I suppose other options might depend on your graphics configuration. If you can move your display back to an onboard or basic video output it might help. I do not know why doing such a thing would help since you are going back to a Factory configuration, but maybe something is getting stuck in the system and needs to be reset.

Knowing the Exact HP model number might help in research.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/46811-black-screen-factory-reset-attempt.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi sorry if this is in the wrong place or anything i'm new to the forum Recently my computer has started crashing randomly It mostly happens when i am playing various games but has also happened once when i was just watching a video on YouTube When it crashes both of my monitors go black as if they were going into buzzing Random followed reset by screen, then black standby mode then after a couple of seconds i start hearing a loud buzzing sound through Random black screen, followed by buzzing then reset my headset then after about - seconds the computer just restarts itself The computer is custom built and is just over years old but this crash as only started happening within the last month and a bit The crashes themselves are completely sporadic some times i can go several days even a week or so playing games with no problems then the next day it will crash during a game and then again the next day Sorry about the lack of detail in the specs but im not that great with troubleshooting so if there is any other information you need please let me know how i can get it Specs CPU AMD FX tm - Eight-Core Processor GHz OS Windows bit Service Pack GPU GeForce GTX GB RAM Thanks in advance for any help

A:Random black screen, followed by buzzing then reset

I'm still hoping someone can help with this.

It just did the crash again this morning after only being on for 30 minutes, when it had reset itself windows popped up an error box saying Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown with these details,

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8010769010
BCP2: FFFFF88012205D1C
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

I'm not sure if this is any help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/random-black-screen-followed-by-buzzing-then-reset-880849.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I used Windows 8 recovery manager to wipe my computer. I had several viruses so it seemed like the best way.

my screen went Black when the process started and now it won't come back on.

My video card is a different one besides what came with the computer.

I sold the old video card to a friend, so the only graphics I have is the new I bought a while back. It should be an ATI RADEON. 5700 I believe.

I'm guessing the driver got deleted, and with no internet to search for drivers and no vision of the screen I seem screwed.

Are there any ways out of this one?

Thanks,

Zach

A:Help! Factory Reset Computer, Screen Went Black

I should have an HP Envy desktop of some sort with an i5 processor.

When I boot up I can't see the mouse or anything. The only spot on the computer to plug my monitor into is my video card. No extra video spot

I tried putting the graphics card cd in hoping somehow it could do something but my cd drive won't open. I'm assuming I can open it during the boot process but not after the boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/317696-help-factory-reset-computer-screen-went-black.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi there,I am currently in a fieldwork in Ghana for my PhD and there is no Lenovo repairs shop here.Last night, I have tried to restart my X1 carbon from sleep mode and unfortunately, it did not restart.The screen stayed balck while the keyboerd and the power led were flashing and only pressing the hard reset button could stop this. After searching along the forum I have found about the CMOS reset button. So I have pressed the hard reset and the CMOS reset button simultaneously for 10 seconds and now the screen stays black and the keyboard led and the fan turns off after 2 or 3 seconds. Can annyone has an idea because I have 15 more days of fieldwork and without a laptop to record my results the rest of my PhD might be really compromised Thank you in advanceGeoffrey 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-carbon-black-screen-after-CMOS-reset/td-p/3371694
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello,I have a new Yoga 900-13ISK2 Laptop (3 weeks old). Up until a week ago I watched videos and all worked well .About a week ago I had to reset my computer due to a potential virus (didn't use any proper protection at the time) and since then every time I try to watch a video I get a black screen after a few minutes . Installed Intel Management Engine Interface Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook driver but it didn't work .Can someone please help me?Thanks

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/After-reset-Yoga-900-13ISK2-Laptop-black-screen-when-playing/td-p/3467443
Relevancy 61.49%

black screen usually no errors just a black screen sound will lag and freeze up have to hard reset it no blue screens usually here is the latest mini dump file.

this is the latest mini dump file most the time my comp never blue screens just hangs black so i never knew there was mini dump files still coming in and i have a bunch of those but this is the latest one.

had a driver issue a while back was getting blue screens from it but i completely erased it out of drivers folder and win32 drivers folder which was locked but i used a reg editor here that made it possible to take ownership of a folder and then i completely deleted it out of my system so i think.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

A:random crashes during all games black screen and have to hrd reset

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1e
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\111311-26145-01.dmp
C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-40950-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.tx
i think this was the last error message i saved

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/200608-random-crashes-during-all-games-black-screen-have-hrd-reset.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Long story short someone I know bought a screen with black laptop 8, keep w/ Windows getting but Trying cursor a to reset laptop The seller told them they'd need a new hard drive I took a look at it and found it was riddled with malware and adware Couldn't even login to the account without getting a black screen mouse cursor So after going into safe mode and uninstalling a few programs and running ADWCleaner I've been able to login to the main account normally I'm running malwarebytes and MSE right now but since they don't want all this extra data anyway I figured I'd just wipe everything The problem is that when I go to system restore or system reset or when I try to use the HP recovery tools it goes to a loading screen and then a black screen with a cursor Forever I'm at a bit of Trying to reset a laptop with Windows 8, but keep getting black screen w/ cursor a loss as to what could be breaking every recovery option That said I'm also wondering if the reset option will reinstall Windows without needing an installation disc or anything like that I've seen yes and no in different places so I'm no longer sure Here's screenshots with misc specs if it would help to know http i imgur com Qp uYuB jpg http i imgur com sNOadYW jpg http i imgur com thS X l jpg http i imgur com FcYKbrV jpg

A:Trying to reset a laptop with Windows 8, but keep getting black screen w/ cursor

Using the System Reset can be done without a disc.  There is a partition on the hdd just for this type of recovery.

You will find instructions for doing this at HP Support.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/574600/trying-to-reset-a-laptop-with-windows-8-but-keep-getting-black-screen-w-cursor/
Relevancy 61.49%

I tried to do a reset in laptop because it was acting horrible. Slow loading or unable to load. I fell asleep during the reset process and woke up to black screen. Tried turning it off and starting over but nothing

A:Black screen on toshiba satellite laptop after i reset

This should get you going, then we need to find what caused the original problem.How to use a Lazesoft Windows Recovery CD or USB device to fix the boot problems if your Windows operating system does not start correctlyhttp://www.lazesoft.com/fix-boot-pr..."It is very common for PC users to be faced with a Windows crash. When this happens, the dreaded 'Blue Screen of Death' pops up, or your PC has a black screen and can not boot or start up"Lazesoft Recovery Suite Home Editionhttp://www.softpedia.com/get/System...http://www.lazesoft.com/lazesoft-re...Tutorialshttp://www.lazesoft.com/guide.htmlScreenshot ( SS )http://i.imgur.com/c9viJO4.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/DdozUxq.gifHow to Boot a Computer from a Lazesoft Recovery USB Devicehttp://www.lazesoft.com/create-a-bo...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/black-screen-on-toshiba-satellite-laptop-after-i-reset/323.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Basically, every time I try to reset/restore/refresh, the end result is a black screen with a mouse cursor. Logging in works fine, though it didn't before I ran some virus, malware, and adware scans. I just can't seem to get any of the clean slate features to work. Any idea what might cause this?

General system info in the attachments.

A:Trying to reset a laptop with Windows 8, but keep getting black screen w/ cursor

just as an fyi, a lot of us are at work when using this site. As a result, I know I cannot see the pics you posted as I've blocked the site imgur at work. Any chance you can upload them just into this site?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-reset-a-laptop-with-windows-8-but-keep-getting-black-screen-w-cursor.1147555/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi I have Dell Inspiron - and I am using it for atleast three years This one is bought in Abu Dhabi UAE and was used by my sister for about a year or two then she shipped it here in the Philippines because I needed it It has Windows when it arrived here The problem occured yesterday It was perfectly running when i used it when i got home from school but Chrome was annoyingly kept on not responding I refreshed the desktop before I reloaded Chrome when I noticed that the desktop icons were not showing up I shrugged it off thinking my laptop is just being slow Still annoyed on Chrome I decided to turn my laptop Dell reset inspiron screen after 15-3521 black off and took a nap Note that I didnt plugged it off After hours of nap I turned it on and it actually booted but a Dell inspiron 15-3521 black screen after reset black screen I turned it off and on again for about three times but still a black screen I tried to turn it on inserting its battery then it showed the Recovery page of Windows saying that Windows didn t load correctly I turned it off again then plugged it again without its battery It showed the same page then I asked a friend on what should I do He told me to try opening it on safe mode I did but it showed that automatic repair couldn t repair my pc I did a second attempt to enter safe mode After about minutes it booted on safe mode I then decided that I will just reset it so I back up important files on my USB flashdrive I tried to reset it but only the drive on which Windows is installed It worked but after reset the power and search icons where missing It was supposedly be right beside my account on Start page Also Start icon on desktop was not showing up I just decided to finish things up tomorrow then I shutted it down Today I tried to reset it again but i decided to clean all drives this time It took almost hours to finish then after the welcome start up and Hi we re setting things up for you blah blah it just turned out to a black screen After like minutes a messaged showing that Stop running this script popped up I stupidly clicked No It is still on black screen till now Any suggestions on what should I do now

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19996534
Relevancy 61.49%

I had to do a factory reset on my laptop and now when i turn it on it is a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner and the screen never changes. What do I do?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/HP-Pavillion-g7-series-factory-reset-and-black-screen/td-p/5831748
Relevancy 61.49%

I have an Asus S56c laptop which turns on and goes to a black screen. It is running windows 8 or 8.1 with an ssd. I am able to access the Bios and I tried to get it to refresh and do a factory reset but both times there was an error saying there is a file missing. I have taken the hard drive out and used an external drive to get my files off of the hard drive . I have another asus laptop but a different model running windows 8 as well.

I also have and external enclosure and external hard drives that I can use.

Can someone please explain simply or with links, what I need to do to put windows 8 or 8.1 back onto the laptop to get it working again. Please also help me to find out if it was win 8 or 8.1.

A:win 8 black screen after start, can not reset file missing

Have you tried this?

System Restore - How to Do in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/65894-win-8-black-screen-after-start-can-not-reset-file-missing.html
Relevancy 61.06%

My Satellite laptop was working fine until I presumably closed the lid during the boot process Since then the screen is blank black even though I can change with the power button between quot operation quot including HD activity WLAN and alternatively long press quot hibernate quot with a on off fading operation symbol I tried all screen - black hangs Z930-119 Reset? in Satellite hibernate with combinations of keys long-press-power-button FN-F FN-F etc There Satellite Z930-119 hangs in hibernate with black screen - Reset? is no output signal at the external VGA connector I achieved no change at all All I would need is something like a hardware-reset There is no easy way to remove the battery as suggested in the internet Do you have any suggestions or tricks like quot press xy and uv quot or alike to produce a real hardware-reset to make the device start from the beginning I cannot believe that a sophisticated product like the Satellite Z has no provisions to reboot in case of a software failure In a few cases things like that happen in real life

A:Satellite Z930-119 hangs in hibernate with black screen - Reset?

Hi

As far as I know you would need to remove the bottom cover just to get access to the battery.

Here is an video on Youtube:
[Toshiba How-To: Z930 and Z935 Disassembly Instructions|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSmEhiK3Njs]

But I would recommend trying something different.
Did you connect the external monitor to the notebook just to check if something would be visible on the 2nd screen?
Do that.

In case nothing would be visible on 2nd monitor you could try to remove the battery and to press and hold the power button 30sec long.
Not quite sure if it would be helpful but in some cases this procedure might help to wakeup the unit again.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?73713-Satellite-Z930-119-hangs-in-hibernate-with-black-screen-Reset
Relevancy 61.06%

My HP Pavilion a6232n PC had the blue screen error a lot so I factory reset it. After that, it wouldn't start anymore and hangs at a black screen with a blinking underscore after the HP logo. I tried to boot the windows vista recovery disk from the boot menu but it doesn't work. It still goes to the black screen whether I boot the cd or hard drive first.

EDIT: It sometimes displays "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". I don't have a system disk and I have read that the recovery disk can be used for it. When i put it in and press enter, it just has the black screen without the message anymore.

A:Computer hangs at black screen with underscore after factory reset

You may have a bad or corrupt hard drive. Have you checked that the hard drive is detected in the bios?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-hangs-at-black-screen-with-underscore-after-factory-reset.173949/
Relevancy 61.06%

Toshiba Satellite L D-S A month ago was having issues with infinite start up loop after bad updates install Couldn't even get into the command prompt for a while but then was able to and followed the quot How to Recover from an Infinite Looping Startup Repair Loop without Reinstalling Windows quot guide that I found on here and it worked Got all of my personal files off then after a couple weeks decided to do a factory reset because it was starting to run slow at times Two nights ago had more updates can't even factory black reset screen of Toshiba and Satellite - death from Windows and when I turned it on it said something didn't download correctly It did a disk Toshiba Satellite - black screen of death and can't even factory reset check and then was fine except ran slow when it booted up for a few minutes Today when turning it on it gives options of running StartUp Repair which does the Windows loading files screen then goes to a black screen with the cursor icon Also gives the Start Windows Normally option which gets stuck on the opening Windows icon and never moves All F options end up with black screen with cursor and the kicker is that I attempted factory reset twice now and it goes to a black screen with cursor as well I don't have a recovery disk or any other Windows media Is there anything else I can try tried taking the battery out too and holding down power button or is this laptop toast Thanks and let me know if you need any other system specs

A:Toshiba Satellite - black screen of death and can't even factory reset

I would say that you have a disk problem.
If you do have a Win (7, 8 or 10) installation disk, boot with it, go to repair, launch command prompt and then type chkdsk C: /f.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/402080-toshiba-satellite-black-screen-death-cant-even-factory-reset.html
Relevancy 61.06%

So my computer was super laggy because its pretty old and I decided to factory Reset the computer and it worked fine and I decided to shut down the computer I manually held the shut down button and then turned it on it worked fine then on the start up screen it said if i wanted something worked my now fine Pavilion DV4 Reset Factory screen black about HP quickweb Factory Reset my Pavilion DV4 worked fine now black screen and it downloaded and then windows started normally and I decided to shut down the computer again I held the power button down and then tried to turn it on and always on start up the HP quick web pops up and after that it goes into a black screen and it doesnt go away there is no blinking lights my caps lock light is off everything has light but the caps lock i tried removing the battery and holding the power button for a minute and pluging the charger Factory Reset my Pavilion DV4 worked fine now black screen and turning it on it looks like its gonna start up because the quick web pops up and then black screen with like a dash on the very top left side is there anything I can do is it the quick web that messed it up how can I fix this

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Factory-Reset-my-Pavilion-DV4-worked-fine-now-black-screen/td-p/5742674
Relevancy 61.06%

Okay so the story goes like this, yesterday my laptop had many weird stutters and freezes so I tried to fix it by doing different things like automatic repair etc, they all didn't work so I decided to do a complete factory reset and then the procedure ended up failing and then it froze on the spot, so I decided to restart my laptop, then all I get is a black screen after hp logo. Please help!

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-10-a/130122-windows-10-black-screen-after-failed-attempt-factory-reset.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi everyone,I recently wanted to re-setup my Acer Aspire 7250g with Linux Mint. I switched to the BIOS to change the boot order, typed in the password and i got the message, that the password is wrong. So I looked up some solutions. I tried to find a masterpassword, but there was no errorcode shown. I tried some other things, but they didnt work as well. At last i took out the CMOS battery, I restarted the pc after i put the battery back in and all I got was a black screen.I tried to flash the BIOS, because I read that the BIOS might be corrupted. I followed the instructions of this thread; http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/Re-flash-a-corrupt-BIOS-for-an-Acer-Aspire-7250/td-p/9376... . I tried it multiple ways with this solution, but nothing worked.I hope someone can help me. LG Fuzzy

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Acer-Aspire-7250g-black-screen-after-BIOS-reset/td-p/446100
Relevancy 60.2%

Desktop asus crashed it is upgraded from and after an error update to W horrible nothing was working then I went back within days to mentionning this as I saw maybe this could have corrupted Black screen+cant restore/reset, miss drive+partition lock my partition This week I got a black screen on start up and could only go into bios or recovery cd after week of different try and misses Im coming here hoping you will solve my Black screen+cant restore/reset, lock drive+partition miss problems now I am desperate Have recovery cd but auto repair doesnt work says drive is locked recovery gives another error messages ie I think to run ckdsk did it via CMD and also with lazesoft which couldnt complete as it says drive locked Reset gives a required drive partition is missing tried several things such as lazesoft but it couldnt complete as it says drive is locked but it read my files I copied my documents only as I dont care anymore that were necessary for Black screen+cant restore/reset, lock drive+partition miss my life ie WORK the rest at this point I dont give a damn would rather keep my job then videos or else after searching the net at work I did also all this tried several cmd commands diskpath ckdisk which does mention no error and bootrec too Folllowed some info on link that I was provided with no luck too Was told to also try asus bactraker its downloaded on my xp laptop but I cant make it work on cd on asus I got the files burned them on cd and nothing happens nowhere on internet it mentions how to make it work on cd I did unplug hard drive and waited a bit and no luck help help help need to have access asap refersh to factory I dont give a damn I just need it to work I just installed Ubuntu based on another thread help and it loaded correctly and now I am back on my asus via Ubuntu so I can now answer promptly as I have internet again BUT MY goal is to fix Microsoft Either without loosing my software or files OR by restoring to factory so how to do that without sending to Asus not on warranty anymore and should I remove Ubuntu or will it do it when restoring Right now I will not dare to shut my computer until it is solved took me a week to get back access to it should have done UBUNTU faster Manufacturer Asus Model M bb-ca s OS Windows bits CPU Ram AMD Quad-Core A - GHz gb MHZ

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/74459-black-screen-cant-restore-reset-lock-drive-partition-miss.html
Relevancy 58.91%

hi everyone.

after a hard reset,i cannot boot windows.trademark appears,bar is moving an then,blue screen and PUFF! computer restarts!

i tried every choise such as safe mode etc but no result.i tried to fix it from Windows Recover Console but my laptop has sata hdd which are not recognisable in console..

i'm running out of ideas.....

A:blue screen after hard reset

I had this exact same problem with our family computer... however we used windows system recovery... if you still have the windows xp CD that would be the best option to reinstall... Does it go on a cycle? Startup, restart, startup, restart?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/blue-screen-after-hard-reset-171325.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have recently purchased an old off-lease HP Compaq dc7700p to use as a backup desktop. I loaded Windows 7 64 onto it and everything seems to be functioning normally aside from a peculiar problem. Every time the PC restarts, it will hang on a blank black screen after POST. I have to hold down the power button for a hard reset, after which it will boot normally. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what might be causing this issue and if there might be something I can do to remedy it. Thanks.

A:Hang on blank screen after reboots, hard reset necessary

Some IdeasLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/432007/hang-on-blank-screen-after-reboots-hard-reset-necessary/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a Toshiba Portege Z -P that crashed yesterday on a flight when it ran out every reset being drive 4-5 and accessed seconds screen Hard of power Since then when it starts every - seconds the desktop will disappear and reappear The hard drive is being accessed every seconds or so If I want to do anything e g access system recovery run chkdsk I have that period or - seconds to either enter the command or click the icons in which to do so else the screen goes blank and then the desktop reappears Once I get into the chkdsk or system restore screens I can continue to work although the screen is Hard drive being accessed and screen reset every 4-5 seconds disappearing and reappearing in the background When I ran system restore after repeated attempts it fails saying that it failed Hard drive being accessed and screen reset every 4-5 seconds to extract Hard drive being accessed and screen reset every 4-5 seconds the file c Program Files x intel opencl sdk bin x odcpubackend dll from the restore point There may be bad sectors on the disk Run chkdsk r Scan disk says there are no errors with the SSD I also periodically get a message when booting up that there was a failure to connect to the group policy client service Any help would be appreciated

A:Hard drive being accessed and screen reset every 4-5 seconds

You do not want to run chkdsk /r on a SSD.  You should use the /f switch...  chkdsk /f

If you have enough time to set up the chkdsk you should have enough time to run sfc /scannow.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows key and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, reopen the Elevated Command Prompt using the Windows key and the X key method outlined in the instructions above. 

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the following in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/611753/hard-drive-being-accessed-and-screen-reset-every-4-5-seconds/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello hard sound, + blank screen Random no reset community My first setup Motherboard AsRock M A GXH M AMD GX CPU AMD Phenom II x AM Black Edition Random blank screen + no sound, hard reset BOX GPU BFG GeForce GTX OC MAXCORE RAM GB x GoodRam GB DDR MHz CL HDD RAID HDD overall FULL HD Monitors WLAN USB TP-LINK TL-WN N PSU OCZ OCZ ModXStream Pro W Case Cooler Master Centurion ----------------------- Basically I do some D stuff Random blank screen + no sound, hard reset on my PC and play Fifa series and League of Random blank screen + no sound, hard reset Legends Never had problems with my setup till few months ago While I was playing League of Legends or Fifa I started to have random blank screens no input detected and also I lost sound in that moment PC was still running and the only thing I could do was to press power for seconds to shut it down It could have happened after games or games I also were losing internet connection while playing and only while playing other devices at home had internet all the time I have always had good temps on everything but since I don t care about details in game I pulled out my GPU this Mobo got integrated AMD Radeon HD No matter which input I used on this Radeon HD HDMI VGA or DVI VGA I still had random disconnects from home network and I know that this usb wlan is good checked it on other PCs at home it looked like it was overheating or something but I never had any extraordinary temps on HWMonitor I decided to change my motherboard to ASUS M A -M EVO I put my GPU back again and problems were still occuring blank screen no sound hard reset At that time I was sure that my GPU is broken I started to play games on integrated Radeon HD and boom blank screen no sound again I had random USB problems as well my Tablet WLAN or mouse dc once in a while USB doesn t work I have ASMedia drivers from asus website I have all the latest drivers never OCed Now I have blank screen no sound situations even when not playing but when I leave PRIME for hrs testing errors warnings I don t want to buy new GPU cause I am not sure if it s broken for real and I probably have good Mobos Is it the PSU What should I do Looking for help and sorry english is not my native language nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/random-blank-screen-no-sound-hard-reset.1079220/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hey Ok well it starts black windows of drives, both loading Two copy screen with XP, after hard screen same off with me managing to either corrupt windows or the hard drive on my original hard drive and when ever I try Two hard drives, both with same copy of XP, black screen after windows loading screen to boot off there I get to the windows loading screen with logo and little green sliding bar and then it restarts and keeps doing that Tried booting in safe mode and from disc but I cannot do anything with it in terms of booting So Two hard drives, both with same copy of XP, black screen after windows loading screen what Two hard drives, both with same copy of XP, black screen after windows loading screen I decided to do was get a second hard drive and install XP onto there and then plug my second hard drive in and see if I can transfer files off there to the new one I got XP installed fine on it but when it came to booting with both hard drives plugged in I came to problems I set which hard drive is the priority one in the bios as there is no pins on the back of this new hard drive and it got to the windows loading screen with the new installation i know this because the loading screens are different for both hard drives After the loading screen my monitors go black and nothing happens Windows loads fine when it is just the new hard drive plugged in even if the old hard drive is plugged in and set to disabled it goes to the black screen If anyone is able to give some advice on what to do or what could be wrong I would be really grateful Thanks Matt nbsp

A:Two hard drives, both with same copy of XP, black screen after windows loading screen

Sounds like the old hard drive is faulty to me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/two-hard-drives-both-with-same-copy-of-xp-black-screen-after-windows-loading-screen.90318/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hey guys wasn't really sure what category to post this thread in So this has been going on for quite some time now when I am streaming videos browsing the internet or playing really low intensity games like minecraft or indie games my computer will crash to a random coloured screen I assume taking the colour from some element of whatever on screen and will project a horrible sound from Crashing to coloured hard reset requiring random screen the speakers I assume a very short loop of the last Crashing to random coloured screen requiring hard reset sounds of what was playing and I am forced to hard reset the computer sometimes it wont happen for a couple of days and then other times it will happen times a day it totally varies with no apparent cause It has a brand new hard drive ram and PSU and the graphics card is fairly recent the mother board and CPU are a couple years old but I can't see this being a hardware issue down to the fact that there seems to be no apparent cause for this issue if the hardware was strictly faulty then im sure it would die in high intensity tasks but it has almost never crashed when playing something like battlefield or the new DOOM game at max settings so that doesn't seem to be the case I also can't see it being an over heating issue as the computer runs quite cool All of my drivers are up to date and this has happend across multiple versions of graphics driver updates Im honestly out of answers I have read countless forums of people suffering with the exact same problem to no ressolve and have tried a rediculous amount of things just about everything you could possibly do yet still found nothing I thought id try to make a post to see if anyone could help me before I give up and take it to the computer store All help is much appreciated Thank you

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/67239-crashing-random-colored-screen-requiring-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hey guys wasn't really sure what category to post this thread in So this has been going on for quite some time now when I am streaming videos browsing the internet or playing really low intensity reset requiring coloured screen hard Crashing random to games like minecraft or indie games my computer will crash to a random coloured screen I assume taking the colour from some element of whatever on screen and will project a horrible sound from the speakers I Crashing to random coloured screen requiring hard reset assume a very short loop of the last sounds of what was playing and I am forced to hard reset the computer sometimes it wont happen for a couple of days and then other times it will happen times a day it totally varies with no Crashing to random coloured screen requiring hard reset apparent cause It has a brand new Crashing to random coloured screen requiring hard reset hard drive ram and PSU and the graphics card is fairly recent the mother board and CPU are a couple years old but I can't see this being a hardware issue down to the fact that there seems to be no apparent cause for this issue if the hardware was strictly faulty then im sure it would die in high intensity tasks but it has almost never crashed when playing something like battlefield or the new DOOM game at max settings so that doesn't seem to be the case I also can't see it being an over heating issue as the computer runs quite cool All of my drivers are up to date and this has happend across multiple versions of graphics driver updates Im honestly out of answers I have read countless forums of people suffering with the exact same problem to no ressolve and have tried a rediculous amount of things just about everything you could possibly do yet still found nothing I thought id try to make a post to see if anyone could help me before I give up and take it to the computer store All help is much appreciated Thank you

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/67239-crashing-random-coloured-screen-requiring-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I have had other problems with it too ...it keeps trying to call people on what's app , also freezing completely until I switch it off and on again

A:There is an exclamation mark on my screen and a soft/hard reset won't work

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question I have had other problems with it too ...it keeps trying to call people on what's app , also freezing completely until I switch it off and on again Hard reset key sequence:
Unplug your phone
Hold vol up then plug charger. Keep holding till a ! mark appears
Leave button then press one key once: vol up, vol down, power, vol down
Gears should appear, keep phone plugged and under wifi coverage.
If still not working, last resource is a pc with WDRT and a usb cable for recovery

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437146-there-exclamation-mark-my-screen-soft-hard-reset-wont-work.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello,
at random times the lock-screen freezes and a hard reset is needed. Keyboard light still toggle yet the SysReq + REISUB key combination does not do anything. Where is some syslog for checking why the kernel dumped and find potential solutions? This is windows 8.1, is this a known bug?

A:The lock screen sees random freezes and a hard reset is required.

Do you still need assistance with this issue?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/322392-lock-screen-sees-random-freezes-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Dell N W wont start Dell logo gt black screen How to restore Hello friends Please could you advise me My friend has asked me to help with her Dell N Inspiron laptop She has had it for about just over a year now Dual-core Pentium GB RAM W bit She is not computer savvy and I dont know how shes managed to do this but heres the problem You press the power button The Dell logo appears along with the F amp F options for Setup amp Boot Options This is followed by a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left Thats it All this happens in the space of seconds power-up to black screen Nothing else happens no Windows logo screen start. N5030:W7 logo black Dell reset Dell wont how? screen. + Factory no Microsoft logo nothing Screen stays black with the cursor and the laptop instantly turns off when I press the power button My friend was desperate because she had over family photos and some important documents she didnt want to lose I was able to recover all of those using a Linux Mint live CD so at least shes all smiles for that Using Mint made me realize that the hardware was working perfectly The hard drive was good no mem faults and of course the optical drive was fine Dell N5030:W7 wont start. Dell logo + black screen. Factory reset how? So its something with Windows Also while using Mint I could clearly see the Dell Recovery Partition The problem is I dont know how to get the Inspiron to fire it up - because I cannot even get into Safe Mode where the quot Repair Dell N5030:W7 wont start. Dell logo + black screen. Factory reset how? your computer quot option is When I pressed F all that comes up is an option to tweak the boot order and a diagnostics option I ran the latter and it found no hardware faults at all I wasnt surprised I tried the usual tricks for trying to get it to begin the factory reset Stuff like CTRL F hold F down and then press power button keep pressed and then press power button All of these do the same thing - they just start the Diagnostic Tests My friend says Dell did not provide a Restore DVD because they told her quot it was all on the hard drive quot But they assumed that the user would be able to get to the Advanced Boot Options screen - which is not happening Pressing F results in the Insipiron once again running its diagnostics Safe Mode is not working How do I get this laptop to begin the factory reset Thanks very much for any help you can give

A:Dell N5030:W7 wont start. Dell logo + black screen. Factory reset how?

Dell states that the Factory Restore option should be visible on the F8 screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/216121-dell-n5030-w7-wont-start-dell-logo-black-screen-factory-reset-how.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I changed out the harddrive in my computer because it was my friends old computer which he didn't want anymore, but had been using the Ubunto OS, which i know nothing about. As well as me having another harddrive in my other, much less powerful computer which has all my data on it. The problem i'm experiencing is the monitor not receiving a signal from the computer, not even a bios, when i have the 'new' harddrive installed, or with no harddrive installed, however when i plug in the old harddrive with Ubunto on it, it boots into Ubunto just fine, but still shows no bios. I cant think of anything that would cause this hardware wise. Is there anyway i can get the computer to recognize the 'new' Harddrive and Win 7 OS?

A:Black screen after new hard drive

Hmmm, this is pretty weird, but you can try a couple of things. did you try unplugging all HDs? did you try replacing SATA cables? is the new hard drive much different than the old one (space wise)?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-after-new-hard-drive.173764/
Relevancy 54.61%

I put my new PC in sleep mode and after a few minutes I came back and started it up again For some reason the lock screen with the clock and the internet status had nothing but the screen's background so I was being my curious self and I wondered why it was not there so I pressed the back button thinking it would go back to the lock screen Then it was stuck on Please Wait and after a few seconds the screen turned black and there on black shutdown Hard screen was no hard drive activity I knew the computer was still on so I forced it off by holding the power button and turned it back on It felt like it took longer for it to turn on but that may have been because it was not able to go through the whole fast startup process of Hard shutdown on black screen saving the system drivers in hiberfil I have ran chkdsk and CrystalDiskInfo and everything was fine I will try restarting and see if the boot time is normal and post any updates Should I worry about this as I only got this computer yesterday I am thinking it was just a coincidence Hard shutdown on black screen but I want to ask the experts here on EightForums After all I am new to Windows Edit Yep I think it was the fast startup that was not used after the forced shut down I Hard shutdown on black screen just shut it down and turned it back on Now I think I should have waited until doing ALL tests I know to post this

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/47420-hard-shutdown-black-screen.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hey; When I try to boot to Win 7, I get the logo and then a black screen. I have tried all the repairs and nothing works. Win 8.1 is fine. Help and thank you.

A:black screen on win 7 - dual hard drives win 8.1 on other

Boot the Windows 8.1 DVD/USB disk or Repair USB disk.
System Recovery Options - Boot to in Windows 8
Open> command prompt.

Use the Rebuild BCD in this tutorial:
Use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/38326-black-screen-win-7-dual-hard-drives-win-8-1-other.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I restarted my computer normally through Windows and when it was booting back up after the BIOS messages and everything at the place where the Windows XP logo normally displays instead a Black help Drive - error screen Hard black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left is displayed The cursor goes away after a few seconds I'm pretty sure this is a hard drive issue When the black screen with the cursor first appears I also hear a single short beep I loaded the XP disk and Black screen - Hard Drive error help did Repair and ran CHKDSK p It said it found an error so I ran CHKDSK r and after a couple of hours when it finished i ran p again and it didn't find any Black screen - Hard Drive error help errors I tried booting again to the hard drive but I got the same error Also when I call dir from the recovery console on C my folder structure is all there Does that mean it's likely my data hasn't been lost I have an IDE Samsung GB HDD I still haven't tried running fixboot from the recovery console but I wasn't sure if that would mess up my hard drive in some way Does anybody know how to fix this I'm really worried the hard drive is corrupted and I'll lose all my data

A:Black screen - Hard Drive error help

I connected the hard drive as a slave under another computer, and it booted up and I was able to see the file system is intact.

The only thing is, under Documents and Settings of my slave HDD, the folder with my username that has all my documents says its size is 0. And when I try to double click it I get an access denied error. Is it only saying the folder data size is 0 because I can't access it? Or did I somehow lose all my data under My Documents? How can I change the security settings so I have access to it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-hard-drive-error-help-496837.html
Relevancy 54.18%

My computer just crashed I need to know why black screen drive Hard Crashed. on still a w/ and how to Crashed. Hard drive still on w/ a black screen fix it Note I m not an expert maybe an intermediate my terminology might be wrong so I d just describe it to you It s a Gateway Windows Vista It was shut down during the night This morning I turned it on first thing in the morning as usual After being on for a few minutes the hard drive made a clunking sound like something just dropped from the inside Then it made a whooshing sound for about seconds it s like wind-whooshing or when you just put a CD in the drive After that everything went quiet and my monitor shut down At this point the hard drive still appeared to be on but the monitor was off and non-responsive I restarted everything Now the hard drive still appears to be on it looks like it normally would The monitor is on green light indicator is green but the screen is pitch black There is nothing on the black screen but a flashing cursor the blinking flashing like when it s ready to type It looks like a DOS command screen except I can t type anything After being reboot the monitor did not display the eMachines logo or anything else it just went straight to black screen with the flashing Tried Esc all the F keys on the keyboard Nothing works The hard drive looks normal the monitor is on but pitch black there s a blinking cursor but not sure what is does The way it is now I can t type or access anything The CD drive doesn t open so there s no chance of booting from CD I ve researched it and there are some online posts saying that if I unplug the PC press and hold the power button for - seconds then plug it it and turn it back on Seemed to work for some people I tried that The first time I turned it back on it was on just like it normally would The hard drive was on and running the monitor displayed the eMachines logo with all the F command options Everything was restarting exactly like normal but after seconds the monitor shut down Just the monitor light indicator turned from green to red like when it s off hard drives still appears to be on and running I restarted it again this time the monitor went straight to the black screen with a blink again If I unplug the whole thing and hold the power button for - seconds like before the first time I restart it everything would just restart as normal but the monitor would always shut itself down after about seconds I couldn t even tried the F boot menu yet Any idea what s wrong with my computer I need to fix it but don t even know where to start I ve seen a lot of computer crashes over the years but never seen this There was no error message or anything like that nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

I ve had this problem for over a year now really starting to get on my nerves After a seemingly random amount of gaming any D crash Computer black screen hard game really even Minecraft one of two things happens The computer crashes screen turns black immediatley and sound loops a fraction of a second loop for a few seconds then PC reboots Graphics freeze for a few seconds graphics card restarts and then Computer hard crash black screen carries on as normal After a hard crash no bluescreen is shown but a minidump is left citing quot Unknown hardware fault quot I ll attatch a few to this post Both my graphics card and processor rarely go above degrees C and my HDD Computer hard crash black screen never goes gt Computer hard crash black screen so I very much doubt this is a heat issue However since AMD drivers are a bit rubbish at the best of times the fan on my GPU would NEVER go above unless I activate my own custom settings using MSI afterburner s fan speed controller I have never overclocked any part of the system I replaced my GPU half a year ago to no effect I have run several hardware testing programs FurMark HotCPU tester Pro and so on none of which seem to cause the computer to crash no matter how long they are left on even when all components are running at around oC I have run the maximum settings on windows memory tester no errors I have tried every possible combination of uninstalling installing AMD graphics drivers nothing seems to help Based on the above I am imagining that there is something wrong with my motherboard the connection between all my hardware as the PC only seems to crash when everything is in use simultaneously IE gaming Anyone have any ideas Thankyou Windows PSU https www overclockers co uk showproduct php prodid CA- -CM RAM https www overclockers co uk showproduct php prodid MY- -OC MotherBoard https www overclockers co uk showproduct php prodid MB- -AS Processor http www cpu-world com CPUs K AMD-Phenom II X html GPU https www overclockers co uk showproduct php prodid GX- -SP nbsp

A:Computer hard crash black screen

My mistake, the GPU definitley goes above 40 deg, up to around 60 at peak running, is it possible something in the BIOS is telling my GPU to restart at 60 oC? I'm apprehensive of fiddling with the BIOS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-hard-crash-black-screen.182052/
Relevancy 54.18%

i wanted to run win7 on my machine. i went to bios option to select boot option, and i try  to clear secure boot and f10 to save it .i  re start the machine .  the screen was blanck.  i remove the hard disc and iar formated the drive putinng it back again. message appear on the screen ,please install operating systerm on the hard disck. hard disck (3f0)boot option not found. f2 systerm diagnostic. please help

A:i on the machine black screen hard disk ( 3F0 )

Hi @danlad,Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!I have looked into your issue about your HP Pavilion 15-n208si Notebook and it having startup issues.  Try performing a hard reset.When performing a hard reset please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices.Have you tried reseating the HDD?Please let me know how this goes.You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below!Thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/i-on-the-machine-black-screen-hard-disk-3F0/td-p/5601784
Relevancy 54.18%

so i turn on my computer and my backgroung disappears. its just a black backgroung but the icons are still present. by the way i have windows xp, and at the bottom right corner it has a "hard drive failure" icon. a window popped up that scanned my computer and found alot of error. the internet and other programs wont open. what do i do???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-and-hard-drive-failure.991330/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi there,

After a hard drive failed on me, I replaced it with a maxtor.

After installing Windows 7 on the new hard disk everything went to plan. However, the second hard drive can not be found. Not even in device manager (therefore I can not assign a new drive letter/path?!)

Another thing, would be if i leave the 2nd hard drive in on boot up windows 7 will not boot up fully, however hang on the "loading" screen of win 7?

If I unplug it, reboot the computer it logs onto win7 perfectly fine without a problem?

Any pointers lads?

Cheers,
Sam

A:Black Screen? 2nd Hard Drive Not recognised?

So the hard drive that failed on you ...doesn't show up and makes W7 boot slowly?

Hard drive is most likely faulty.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-2nd-hard-drive-not-recognised.924294/
Relevancy 54.18%

So here is the thing i bought new computer before maybe - months and since the very beggining i had this wierd problem everything work normally but then screen goes black or any other color and computer freeze and i have to reset it It was rare at the beggining but now it is really a problem i searched every single topic on google but screen black hard freeze! and Random couldnt find anything that works for me here is a screen and how it looks like when it freezes imgur the simple image sharer it can be gray or green or any other color and after that i must reset it Here is my specification if anyone is willing to help me Mothearboard MB MSI H M-P B Intel H x DDR PClex LAN CPU CPU INTEL Core i GHZ Graphic card VGA SAPPHIRE ATI HD GB DDR Power ATX PowerLine W retail PCleX mmF Once again please guys if anyone can help me i would apreciate it im really desperate im googline for - months and i cant find solution i tried every single thing reinstal windows reinstaled drivers control center cleaning registry tested ram tested power supply everything is ok but i still have this wierd problem Even i upgraded power supply but it still occurs and it happens really randomly most of the time when i play games Also sorry for bad english D

A:Random black screen and hard freeze!

Hi and welcome to TSF,

1. Please try another monitor if possible to eliminate your monitor from the equation.

2. I believe that board has built in graphics, please try and connect to the other vga port on the I/O board on back of pc. You may need to go into bios to enable the internal IGP(graphics built in adapter) beforehand.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/random-black-screen-and-hard-freeze-671940.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have a Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and i am trying to factory reset to the default settings again because of the stupid problems i am having on the tablet.
Here is the problem i am trying to get into the BIOS which is the 1 step on the Acer website but for some bizarre reason when it is completely off i press the Windows button and the power button to get in to the BIOS as it says on the Acer Website but it keeps going to the start menu/desktop now instead of going to the BIOS. :/
I have factory reset/hard reset on my Acer Iconia W700 a couple times and i never had this problem before, i gone in to the BIOS no problem!!!
Can someone help me please?? Thanks!!!

A:Windows 8 tablet factory reset/hard reset problem!!! HELP!!

Is it still under warranty? You should try contacting Acer.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/397817-windows-8-tablet-factory-reset-hard-reset-problem-help.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have had my Toshiba M notebook for almost years and it s been fine up till now Yesterday I started up my notebook as usual and logged in through the XP login screen but after my desktop had loaded and I tried to open Internet Explorer the whole thing just froze and I had to do hold the power button down to get it to shut off I tried again a few times and the same Boot-up (hard Issue?) After Black Drive Screen thing happened it froze every time I tried to execute a command from the desktop Also after the first time for some reason my desktop changed from my picture to an error message that said quot active desktop is disabled quot This morning I decided to try again but this time something much more Black Screen After Boot-up (hard Drive Issue?) serious happened after the initial Toshiba boot-up screen before the Windows XP loading screen a command line came up saying quot Operating system not found quot along with some other things and it wouldn t go any farther I did a hard shut down and tried again but this time after the initial Toshiba screen the screen just went black and didn t even display any white Black Screen After Boot-up (hard Drive Issue?) command messages I checked in the BIOS and it detects a hard drive but I really don t know what to do from here Please help Thanks Dan

A:Black Screen After Boot-up (hard Drive Issue?)

Do you have an MS XP CD that is bootable?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/121274/black-screen-after-boot-up-hard-drive-issue/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello, I physically installed a new hard drive.   See reason below*. Please need advice if I should be expecting "BIOS prompts".   All I'm getting is a black screen.   No messages. I did get get a USB recovery media.   Is that the next step?   Not sure, if the fact that there are no message on the black screen is a sign that even the recovery media will not work. I did try going into the BIOS by tapping  "Esc".    Also tried with a downloaded BIOS and holding  "Windows + B".  Stil no BIOS. Will appreciate advice.   Ex-Parte  More background information*After a several chats on Forum, came to a hard drive diagnostic (culprit for not letting the computer boot up; not even letting it get to BIOS).   http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/split-X2-will-not-boot-Black-screen-one-orange...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Installed-new-hard-drive-but-getting-black-screen-no-BIOS/td-p/5787980
Relevancy 53.32%

Last week installed new XFX R9 280X video card.
New RAM, 4 x 4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600 MHz DDR3 PC3 non-ECC CL9 DIMM XMP.
New power supply, Ultra X4 Special Edition, 750w 80 Plus Bronze M.

Ever since, a random crash of the computer with the monitor going to black (still powered, but in standby), no mouse or keyboard will work,
a buzz in the speakers, and the hard drive stops, tho all fans keep running.
The only thing I can do is do a hard shut-down (hold the on/off for 7-8 seconds), then power it back up.
Can you help?
gregk49

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595988/screen-goes-black-hard-drive-stops-have-to-reboot/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi I've got a big problem I bought a new computer in parts Quote WINDOWS BIT FRENCH ASUS P P D-E LGA P DDR PCI-E PCI-E PCI CrossFireX USB SATA GB Motherboard Intel Core I Quad Core Processor Lynnfield LGA GHZ MB Cache Retail Box X G SKILL F - CL D- GBRL Ripjaws PC - GB X logo screen 7 Win Black Hard detected... disk not after GB DDR - CL - - - Core I V Memory Kit Sapphire Radeon HD GDDR MB jusqu' GB avec la m moire vive de l'ordi Seagate Barracuda TB SATA IN MS RPM MB Hard Drive Oem YR Mfr Warranty LG GH NS X Super Multi SATA DVD Writer OEM Black Thermaltake Wing RS Piano Black ATX Mid Hard disk not detected... Black screen after Win 7 logo Tower Case X X X INT No PS Front USB amp Sound Antec Earthwatts W Power Supply ATX V V EPS V Active PFC I installed it and try to run it First a message always said Hard disk not detected and this before trying to install anything I go in the bios and the HDD is detected it said Seagates TB on SATA port So it see my DVD and my HDD in the bios I set the DVD first device boot to install Hard disk not detected... Black screen after Win 7 logo Win bit Then Windows setup start I see my HDD with TB free and I installed Win bit At Hard disk not detected... Black screen after Win 7 logo the of the installation the computer reboot and after the Windows logo black screen I can't do anything I read it's maybe my DDR ram so I remove stick on Nothing's better Maybe it's my graphic card so I try to use the VGA alone the S-Video output alone on my P TV Nothing's better I reset the CMOS without remove the batterie Nothing I change my Sata and power cable with working and tested cable Nothing The motherboard have a Memory button test for the RAM compatibility and no problem here I can't run my old XP bit cd don't know why he's working My mother board come with a cd with driver if I use RAID setup or ahci or something like that but I don't run this setup I try to install it for fun but it asking a floppy and I don't have floppy drive I tried my HDD on another computer and he's working nice I formated it NTFS and I create partition and it's always writing Hard disk not detected I really need help Thanks guys Mathieu

A:Hard disk not detected... Black screen after Win 7 logo

Sounds like you have have A bad HD

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/53762-hard-disk-not-detected-black-screen-after-win-7-logo.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello nbsp I physically installed a new solid drive but (no Installed new screen hard p... BIOS getting black state hard drive on anHP Split x nbsp See reason below nbsp Please need advice if I should be expecting BIOS prompts nbsp nbsp All I'm getting is a Installed new hard drive but getting black screen (no BIOS p... black screen nbsp No messages nbsp I did get get Installed new hard drive but getting black screen (no BIOS p... a USB recovery media nbsp Is Installed new hard drive but getting black screen (no BIOS p... that the next step nbsp Not sure if the fact that there are no message on the black screen is a sign that even the recovery media will not work nbsp I did try going into the BIOS by tapping nbsp Esc nbsp nbsp Also tried with a downloaded BIOS and holding nbsp Windows B nbsp Stil no BIOS nbsp Will appreciate advice nbsp Ex-Parte nbsp nbsp More background information After a several chats on Forum came to a hard drive diagnostic culprit for not letting the computer boot up not even letting it get to BIOS nbsp nbsp http h www hp com t Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup split-X -will-not-boot-Black-screen-one-orange

A:Installed new hard drive but getting black screen (no BIOS p...

Hi @Ex-Parte, Thank you for your reply. I understand that after installing a new SSD drive, on startup you get a blank screen. Please review this post by @ericoRe: How to upgrade your notebook to a SATA 2.5" SSD and let me know it that helped.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Installed-new-hard-drive-but-getting-black-screen-no-BIOS/td-p/5787980
Relevancy 52.89%

when turning on computer nothing happens. black screen no hard drive light  

A:when turn on black screen no hard drive light mode...

still under warranty or not?

http://community.acer.com/t5/Gateway-eMachines-and-Packard/when-turn-on-black-screen-no-hard-drive-light-model-nv52/td-p/387255
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello okay so for the past hard goes drive Screen stops glitches, and spinning. black, - days my computer has been crashing and it s almost the same Screen glitches, goes black, and hard drive stops spinning. thing every time the screen glitches with pink white and green tiles and lines the cursor disappears the screen goes black and the hard drive stops spinning All the lights on the front of the computer stay on the fans stay on and the monitor doesn t say anything about not receiving a signal The first time it happened I tried turning it on right away and it booted up and let me sign in but as it was loading the desktop and icons it glitched again and froze after I shut down and let it sit for a while it worked just fine until the next day when it did the same thing again but twice in one day and with a shorter time between freezes Today I had a WerFault exe error pop up and when I clicked ok on it the bottom half of my screen turned pinkish and the computer froze when I restarted the pink tone was still there but it did not show up on any windows that I opened and when the background changed it went away Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance P S half of the time it has happened I have been playing StarCraft if that makes any difference P P S I am running Windows -bit

A:Screen glitches, goes black, and hard drive stops spinning.

Hi -There are 2 options to look at with this type of fault -The first known one is Power Supply Unit is Faulty / Dying / or just not putting out enough power - Have it tested - Known to produce "Pixilated effect" -The other one involves your WerFault.exe error , also known as Windows Error and Fault Reporting.exe tool -This is one solution if there are currently no hardware problems on your system, or there are no other major software Errors on your system -The Werfault.exe process is a part of Windows Error Reporting in Windows (Vista and Windows7) - If you do not want certain executable files or programs to send error reports, you may also create a block list.These are detailed steps you can follow to customize Windows Error and Fault Reporting.exe tool1.Go to Windows Error Reporting > open Control Panel. 2.Click > System and Maintenance, and then click > Problem Reports and Solutions.3.Click > Change Settings located in the left panel of the Problem Reports and Solutions window.4.Select an option to configure how you want Windows to look for a solution to your problems. You may allow Windows to do it automatically or ask you every time to check if problem occurs.5.Next, click the > Advanced settings link.6.Select On or Off to configure whether you want to use Error Reporting or not.7.Click Change settings and choose the appropriate option to configure how you want problem reporting to be set for all users and programs.8.If you choose to use Error Reporting, then click the second Change setting button to configure how error reporting is set for all users. Here, you can choose from the following consent levels: - Ask each time a problem occurs ? Windows Error Reporting will ask for permission before sending an error report- Automatically check for solutions ? Minimal data is sent to find a possible fix. After consent is given, more data may be sent if requested by Microsoft.- Automatically check for solutions and send additional information if needed ? Minimal data along with data that the application developer has indicated as a requirement is sent. This sent data does not contain any personally identifiable information. After consent is given, more data may be supplied if requested by Microsoft.- Send all data - All data is sent, no prompt required. This setting is configurable only in Group Policy.9.If you do not want certain executable files or programs to send error reports, you may create a block list. To do this, click Add in the Block list section.10.Browse through your programs and add them to the list.11.Click OK to save your settings.You can try the above method as a side line, but it may not fully repair the problem, just the Werfault.exe pop-upsIf you are having any other major problems, do not disable this but post back with the other problems only -Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/450182/screen-glitches-goes-black-and-hard-drive-stops-spinning/
Relevancy 52.89%

when turning on computer nothing happens. black screen no hard drive light  

Relevancy 52.89%

Hello Apologies in advance as some of the exact details or sequence may be off I m trying to recall most of this from memory over the last few screen, after swap hard BIOS inaccessible drive Black weeks I have a yr old Dell XPS One all in one with the following setup Windows upgraded from Windows several months ago TB Seagate Baracuda SATA Drive - w operating system installed on it GB mSATA LITEON SSD - configured by Dell to be used as a caching drive using Intel Smart Reponse Technology i - OS processor Computer was functioning without issue until I received this error on startup Black screen, BIOS inaccessible after hard drive swap one day quot NOTICE - Hard Drive SELF MONITORING SYSTEM has reported that a Black screen, BIOS inaccessible after hard drive swap parameter has exceeded its normal operating range Dell recommends that you back up your data regularly A parameter out of range may or may not indicate a potential hard drive problem Strike the F key to continue F to run the setup utility quot Striking F or F would do nothing If I hit F and tried to run the Dell diagnostics on the hard drive it would immediately return the same error I could not bring up option to boot in safe mode either Basically any action I tried would bring me back to this same error I assumed the error was due to the TB SATA driving failing and purchased a new TB Western Digital Black SATA drive to replace it with After removing the TB SG drive and replacing it with the TB WD drive I powered up the computer and received the same error again This time though I was able to load the boot menu via F which I could not do previously I attempted to change the boot order so that the computer would boot from the Windows recovery USB drive that I had from Dell but I could not get this to load In the process of trying to boot the computer from the USB drive I changed the boot mode from quot UEFI Boot Mode quot to quot Legacy BIOS boot mode quot I m pretty sure this is the point I tried this but it could have been later After making this change I got an error that there was no hard disk detected or no bootable drive something to that affect and was told to press Ctrl I This brought me into the Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Option ROM - screen Here I could not select any options except exit Create RAID volume delete RAID volume etc were all unselectable The new WD drive was listed with a Status of quot Non-RAID Disk quot and the GB SSD was listed with a status of quot SMART Event quot This lead me to think maybe the SSD drive was the actual culprit so I then removed the SSD drive leaving only the new WD SATA drive in place of note I never accessed this screen with the old TB SATA drive so I don t know if a SMART event was associated with that drive but I assume it is highly unlikely both drives failed simultaneously Restarting the computer with this setup I no longer recived the quot Self-monitoring system quot error but instead got a Blue Screen error that my PC ran into a problem and needed to restart with the error code quot Inaccessible Boot Device quot It restarted on it s own gave this same error a nd time then restarted again gave a new blue screen error that unfortunately I cannot recall as it only stayed on the screen for a few seconds restarted again then the screen went black and I could not load anything at all I then removed the new WD drive and installed the original TB SG SATA drive thinking that maybe the SSD was indeed the problem since removing it got rid of the quot self-monitoring system quot error When I did that however I still got a black screen on startup The computer is definitely receiving power the monitor appears to function can flip between HDMI source or PC source and see those options displayed on the screen but the Dell logo no longer shows and all the function keys do nothing The motherboard does not make any loud audible beeps but makes several more muted dull beeps on startup if that makes sense I wouldn t even call them q... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-bios-inaccessible-after-hard-drive-swap.1170019/
Relevancy 52.89%

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get into the safe mode other than using the F8 or Ctrl keys on start up? Neither of these will work. My kids were updating their video drivers and something went wrong. probably wrong drivers. Now the computer boots to the startup screen and the video drops out. Any suggestions?

A:[SOLVED the hard way] Black screen after initial boot...drivers?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-the-hard-way-black-screen-after-initial-boot-drivers.67634/
Relevancy 52.89%

This only seems to happen when playing games in fullscreen widescreen mode 720p, if I run them windowed in the same resolution no black screen hard lock. I have tried swapping video cards. I have reinstalled windows. I have updated bios. I have tried different driver versions for vid card. Ran memtest86+ 2 passes no errors...Don't know what else it might be besides motherboard or psu...

OSwindows 7 home premiumCPUintel i7 920Motherboardgigabyte ex58 ud3r rev 1.6Memory6gig corsair dominator ramGraphics Card(s)xfx radeon 5750Sound Cardonboard realtekMonitor(s) Displays32" 720p panasonic viera tvHard Drivesraided 1tb barracudasPSU700w ocz modular power suppplyCaseantec 900Coolingcoolit cpu cooler

A:black screen hard lock crash during fullscreen gaming

Mesososo, Was this a past issue even before the installation of Windows 7?
If so, this issue could be caused due to the fact your graphics driver does not fit the needs to play the game in full screen. This issue could be resolved by upgrading your graphics driver in your pc.

If games worked fine before the installation of Windows 7, Then you could be missing drivers and I would recommend you to locate drivers for your specific graphics card and download/install them.

Past Experience

I've had this issue before running Windows XP, which was due to the fact my graphics card did not fit the needs to play the online game. I had to upgrade the graphics card which did cost money ($$$) but is worth it if you would like to play the games in full screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/60289-black-screen-hard-lock-crash-during-fullscreen-gaming.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have a vista 32 that I have encountered a trojan than I spent all day trying to get off. I downloaded installed and uninstalled several type of search and clean malwares. I would install run then reboot in safe mode and run again. I did this yesterday on at least 4 different types of cleaning tools. I still have the hard disk error with a bogus (I think) WindowsRecovery message that won't close. A guy I know that does this type work commercially asked if I had ran the combofix as one of the things I had done and I said no. So after reading the instructions I am ready to move forward with help. I also have a black screen and all my desktop icons are gone as well as favorites and that is what I know up to this point.

A:Critical Hard disk error has been detected with black screen

Please follow our Removal Guide here,there are steps there that should clear this. Remove Windows Recovery .After reading how the malware is misleading you ...You will move to the Automated Removal InstructionsAfter you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/392043/critical-hard-disk-error-has-been-detected-with-black-screen/
Relevancy 52.89%

home built (older)
xp pro sp3
amd 1800
nvidia nForce 3-250 mobo
ATI Radeon 1650 AGP video

Only things changed were bootskin and Deer Drive game added. It froze on the next boot up then nothing but black screen. The HD seems to be working hard LEDs and fans run but nothing seems to be able to start such as monitor or keyboard/mouse. Therefore I can't get into a bootup screen to get in safe mode or anything for that matter. No recovery disk. Any suggestions or questions ? BTW the monitor works fine on other PC

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/black-screen-wont-boot-no-safe-mode-hd-working-hard-332841.html
Relevancy 52.89%

My Y - ISK Screen is black hard disk indicator if off nbsp Hi this is my second Lenovo Ideapad Y - isk nv the first one stop working the motherboard failed after hour of screen, hard Y700-15ISK is Black indicator disk of... use Lenovo sent me another laptop this one arrived days ago and now has problem too nbsp The machine was working fine I restart it and the screen keep black the keyboard was on but Y700-15ISK Black screen, hard disk indicator is of... the screen doesn t show anything After min and nothing I shut it down and I realize that the laptop doesn t display the Lenovo logo doesn t show anything again the hard disk indicator is off it doesn t blink nbsp I try to recovery the system using Lenovo OneKey Recovery System or try to enter to the BIOS but the Lenovo Novo Button only start the laptop doesn t show the menu The laptop restart and the keyboard blink but I can turn it on I can t access to the PC I can't see anything nbsp Here is the Machine Info Lenovo Ideapad Y - ISKModel nvMTM NV FUSMO PF XB B Factory ID JVHFC nbsp Two different machine and both Y700-15ISK Black screen, hard disk indicator is of... got problems before first month Is there something wrong with the Ideapad Y model How can I solve my problem Any advice nbsp nbsp nbsp Solved Go to Solution

A:Y700-15ISK Black screen, hard disk indicator is of...

Yes, there is something wrong with this model. A lot of other people have had the same issue where the laptop will no longer boot after a long sleep or shutdown. There is a BIOS update that is being released sometime by the end of the month to fix this issue. I do not know if Lenovo has a USB flash function, but if they don't you should probably exchange for another or wait for the BIOS update, so that you can flash the new BIOS as soon as you get the replacement.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y700-15ISK-Black-screen-hard-disk-indicator-is-off/td-p/2265183
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello there,

A few days ago, my computer started up as usual and showed the Packard Bell logo. The underscore cursor blinked 3 times and then the computer rebooted. This continued all day so it's definitely not temporary. I plugged the hard drive into another computer, and it had the same problem. The PCB on the hard drive has no visible signs of damage; the hard drive IS displayed in the BIOS, and there are no unusual sounds coming from the hard drive. What could the problem be?

-Rixterz

A:Black screen and constant reboot - hard drive failure?

Sounds like the hard drive could potentially be corrupted, if that is the case, my advice is to plug the hard drive into another computer and backup your personal data, and then do a fresh install on the hard drive. If that doesn't work, then the hard drive has most likely failed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/338370-black-screen-constant-reboot-hard-drive-failure.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi I'm out of ideas I keep getting crashes while playing games Screen goes black Monitor shuts off and only way to continue is hard shut down Ctrl alt del doesn't work or anything I managed to get a dump report which ill add here I was advised to hard off screen in requied . monitor crashes shut black games down do a clean reinstall of my graphics driver crashes in games . black screen monitor off hard shut down requied which I did I did this properly which took a while doing crashes in games . black screen monitor off hard shut down requied the following procedure Ultimate Nvidia Driver Guide for Uninstalling and crashes in games . black screen monitor off hard shut down requied Installing driversets It did not work Here's my dump report Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version AMD Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved Loading Dump File C Users Adam Desktop - - dmp Mini Kernel Dump File Only registers and stack trace are available Symbol search path is SRV C Symbols http msdl microsoft com download symbols Executable search path is Windows Kernel Version Service Pack MP procs Free x Product WinNt suite TerminalServer SingleUserTS Built by amd fre win sp gdr - Machine Name Kernel base xfffff PsLoadedModuleList xfffff c Debug session time Tue Aug UTC System Uptime days Loading Kernel Symbols Loading User Symbols Loading unloaded module list Bugcheck Analysis Use analyze -v to get detailed debugging information BugCheck fffffa ca e fffff a ffffffffc a Unable to load image SystemRoot system DRIVERS nvlddmkm sys Win error n WARNING Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm sys ERROR Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm sys WARNING Unable to verify timestamp for win k sys ERROR Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win k sys Probably caused by nvlddmkm sys nvlddmkm d a Followup MachineOwner --------- kd gt analyze -v Bugcheck Analysis VIDEO TDR FAILURE Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed Arguments Arg fffffa ca e Optional pointer to internal TDR recovery context TDR RECOVERY CONTEXT Arg fffff a The pointer into responsible device driver module e g owner tag Arg ffffffffc a Optional error code NTSTATUS of the last failed operation Arg Optional internal context dependent data Debugging Details ------------------ FAULTING IP nvlddmkm d a fffff a ec sub rsp h DEFAULT BUCKET ID GRAPHICS DRIVER TDR FAULT CUSTOMER CRASH COUNT BUGCHECK STR x PROCESS NAME System CURRENT IRQL STACK TEXT fffff fb fffff d fffffa ca e fffff a ffffffff c a nt KeBugCheckEx fffff fb fffff ce fffff a fffffa c ffffffff c a dxgkrnl TdrBugcheckOnTimeout xec fffff fbd fffff d e f fffffa ffffd d ffffffff fffe fffffa ca e fffff de dc dxgkrnl DXGADAPTER Reset x a fffff fc fffff de ec fffffa cd e fffffa c d dxgkrnl TdrResetFromTimeout x fffff fd fffff de a f da fffffa c e b fffffa fffffa c e b dxgmms VidSchiWorkerThread x fffff fd fffff ec fffff e fffffa c e b fffff cc nt PspSystemThreadStartup x a fffff fd nt KxStartSystemThread x STACK COMMAND bugcheck kb FOLLOWUP IP nvlddmkm d a fffff a ec sub rsp h SYMBOL NAME nvlddmkm d a FOLLOWUP NAME MachineOwner MODULE NAME nvlddmkm IMAGE NAME nvlddmkm sys DEBUG FLR IMAGE TIMESTAMP fb FAILURE BUCKET ID X x IMAGE nvlddmkm sys BUCKET ID X x IMAGE nvlddmkm sys Followup MachineOwner system gtx overclocked edition i processor gb ssd gb mhrz memory watt power supply windows I have a proper disk with key --------- I am going to reformat if I cant find a solution Unless someone can help me first on some ideas or possible solution to fix this problem thank you

A:crashes in games . black screen monitor off hard shut down requied

Check your version of the nvlddmkm.sys driver against the NVidea site version: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers
Even though you mentioned going through an uninstall/install procedure, you didn't say where you got the proper version of the driver from.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/crashes-in-games-black-screen-monitor-off-hard-shut-down-requied-661945.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hello For the last couple months my PC has been having an issue where the screen randomly freezes and the last sounds that were playing loop and then stop This can happen while playing a game be it Hearthstone Batman Arkham City any game Can also happen when using any web based flash like YouTube Twitch etc But I have also had freezes about a minute after logging on without even doing any of the above CPU temperatures right before freeze appear normal and the fans stay at about the same speeds when screen no - BSOD Black System Reboot Hard Freeze, Random on freeze happens at least I don't hear them spinning up I am forced to do a hard reboot but it takes a few tries to get the PC to boot because the monitor simply acts like it doesn't detect any video signal upon reboot I can hear Windows do its boot up sounds Random System Freeze, no BSOD - Black screen on Hard Reboot but nothing on Random System Freeze, no BSOD - Black screen on Hard Reboot screen I have a feeling Random System Freeze, no BSOD - Black screen on Hard Reboot this might be multiple problems linked together I included a zip of my computer's SF Diangostic Tool report Thanks for taking a look at this problem all help is welcome and appreciated

A:Random System Freeze, no BSOD - Black screen on Hard Reboot

That definitely sounds like a graphics driver related issue, if not then a hardware failure in your GPU. I would recommend updating your graphics driver by booting into safe mode (F8 on startup).
Uninstall the current ones via the control panel.
Let us know the results.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/327207-random-system-freeze-no-bsod-black-screen-hard-reboot.html
Relevancy 52.46%

My receptionist's PC stopped working this morning after a standard Monday morning reboot and I found that the hard drive wasn't being recognized The hard drive was making some interesting noises so I figured it was bricked Some background Six months ago the hard drive that came with this computer started having errors so I backed it up and created a restore point and installed a new hard drive which I restored to Everything has been fine since that I got a drive failure, restore screen Windows boot. after black hard 7 after new hard drive today and installed it I booted to a windows rescue boot CD and was able to restore to last Friday's restore point without any errors Once the Windows restore finished and rebooted it began printing to a dot matrix printer we use for invoices I paused the printer and went to look at the PC to find a black screen It appears to be running evidenced by the printing from whatever was left in the printer spool but I was Windows 7 restore after hard drive failure, black screen after boot. getting nothing on the screen I rebooted and the CMOS comes up and outputs to the screen but once it goes to boot into windows it blacks out again after the Starting Windows animation I rebooted to the rescue CD and that boots fine outputs to the screen without a problem I understand that all of this points to a graphics issue on-board graphics card which has not changed since purchasing the PC I've tried every variation of booting to safe mode and booting normally I'm now running the restore again took two hours last time Just looking for some pointers on what I might be doing wrong This computer has all of my company's Quickbooks data on it along with a lot of other important company information Any idea how to fix this Thank you

A:Windows 7 restore after hard drive failure, black screen after boot.

FWIW:  Actually, I think QB stores all customer data online from what I've seen...the customers seem to only have the program and some shell files but I believe the actual data is at the QB site.  See Online Backups .

As to your video issues...I would do the normal test of first replacing current monitor with a different one.  If that one reflects nothing visual, then you know that the problem is the system, not the monitor.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539544/windows-7-restore-after-hard-drive-failure-black-screen-after-boot/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey guys My mom s HP Notebook PC Energy Star Note It has been upgraded to Windows laptop has been running slow for approximately - weeks Yesterday morning at around my mom opened her laptop clicked onto chrome and it just froze Nothing was unfreezing it So I Wheezing Message Failed Screen/Hard Laptop/Black Drive decided to cut the power and restart it Unfortunately to my surprise a black screen was all that appeared I tried moving the mouse and the cursor appeared So I thought that it Wheezing Laptop/Black Screen/Hard Drive Failed Message was just taking longer than usual to start Wheezing Laptop/Black Screen/Hard Drive Failed Message up We waited about minutes and nothing was happening So I called HP tech support and they couldn t assist me because the laptop s warranty had expired and we cannot financially afford to renew the warranty So Wheezing Laptop/Black Screen/Hard Drive Failed Message I got off the phone with tech support and went on to HP s website to see if I could solve the problem myself with the resources they provide First I clicked on the link that tells me what to do about the black screen It said that some HP s have had a problem starting up when upgraded to Window s and that the drivers may not have been installed properly The problem with this is that she has had Window s since it came out The other problem I encountered was that the website suggested that I do a quot hard reset quot After investigating what that meant I didn t feel comfortable doing that and after explaining it to my mom she surely didn t want me to do that At this point the laptop had been stuck on the black screen for almost hours but by some strange twist in the universe it just turned on So there I was sitting there looking at her desktop and it occurred to me that maybe the laptop just needed to be updated Sure enough she had missed the last couple updates So I clicked update and it took hours to update We went to bed hoping that when we woke up everything would be fine and dandy in the morning I sauntered out of bed put a poptart in the toaster and went to the laptop to see if it was alright I got to the laptop and it was in the F startup reboot menu Luckily for me yesterday I read about this exact menu and knew exactly what to do I confidently pressed f and it took me to a diagnostic check menu I clicked run quot quick check quot and prayed to Batman that somehow everything would workout It said it would take an estimated - minutes and I was like alright everythings gonna be okay NOPE Immediately it said quot HARD DRIVE SMART CHECK FAILED quot I swiftly ran the test again only to yield the same results So I promptly googled quot HP Hard Drive Smart Check Failure quot I was presented with a website that provided me with the definition of a logical and a physical failure I concluded that it was a physical failure because a sound clip was included on the website that indicated a physical failure By the way I know I haven t mentioned this up till now but on top of everything else the laptop has pneumonia It is making a faint wheezing clicking noise underneath the laptop Like right in the bottom center area I can assure you it is not the speakers The speakers seem to be the only thing that actually work I am at a complete loss I have no idea what to do next We can t afford to have whatever this is fixed And we can t just go out and buy her another one What should I do Any contribution or suggestions or crazy ideas are welcome and appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 52.46%

hi,i wanted to know if hard reset and factory reset are the same things?my laptop won't turn on and i found out that i can hard reset that, but i do not want any of my data on hard disk to be erased. is it possible?(i've shut it down before so there is no data on RAM)thanks in advance.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:are hard reset and factory reset the same thing?

Hi, No, factory reset will bring your machine back to facory status (the time opening the box) byt hard reset won't. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/are-hard-reset-and-factory-reset-the-same-thing/td-p/5676772
Relevancy 52.03%

See, I just got an iPhone (2G, not 3G) and I didn't activate it yet, so it was on the "emergency call" screen, right? I tried to unlock the phone but I guess I kind of messed up. Now I know how to unlock it, but since somehow I messed it up, it doesn't show the "emergency call" screen and just shows an iTunes screen which keeps flashing on and off. I try to make the iPhone do DFU (device firmware upgrade) mode so I can restore then unlock the phone, but it won't work. SO THE POINT IS, can you please tell me how to reset it back to the "Emergency Call" screen like it was in the beginning?

A:How do I Hard Reset My iPhone to pre-activated stage (with "Emergency Call" screen?)

Try hooking it up to the computer and reseting it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-hard-reset-my-iphone-to-pre-activated-stage-with-emergency-call-screen.783308/
Relevancy 52.03%

When I press the on button the light for power turns on and I can hear the fan spinning Windows is installed Putting my hand on the hard-drive I can feel it spinning as well After several restarts and nothing coming up on the screen I pulled the hard-drive then I turned it on and it said quot no OS found quot Seemed like it was functioning correctly to me I plugged in the hard-drive again and went back to a black screen Took more of the NV53 boot Intermittent Laptop with Black Gateway and screen. without hard-drive. laptop apart pulled the CMOS battery which was around v replaced it and the first time I turned it on it booted I turned it off to put it all back together and after I did that it no longer booted I pulled the HD still no screen pulled the CMOS battery no jumper that can clear it still didn't work with or without the battery Tried several times then I got a screen without the HD inside saying again that quot No OS quot So what the heck can I do now I tried researching online but I couldn't find any good ideas Please help me out thank you

A:Intermittent boot with and without hard-drive. Black screen. Gateway NV53 Laptop

It may be caused by bad RAM. Download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature and burn it to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature, or burn to USB flash drive with Rufus, in my signature or use their burning tool on their web site. Remove all but one stick of RAM. Boot off of the newly created media and do the tests on each stick of RAM separately for at least 7 passes. If you get any errors, red in the bottom half of the window, that stick is bad and needs to be replaced.
You can also remove the HDD and attach it internally to a desktop computer, or via a USB Adapter or put it into a USB dock or enclosure to backup the files and run Diagnostic tests on the HDD.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/intermittent-boot-with-and-without-hard-drive-black-screen-gateway-nv53-laptop-993010.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey everyone Well last night I was just enjoying my new computer when the power went off in my house for a second the power immediately came back recognize drive up, external on wont screen Vista-Black hard boot on and then of course the same thing happened No lightning not even any clouds My computer is connected to Vista-Black screen on boot up, wont recognize external hard drive a brand new about a week old cyber power surge protector so I figured everything was ok when I tried to boot my compuer up again it went trough all of its tests and then a black screen I left it for about minutes until I got frusterated and turned it off I was able to boot Vista-Black screen on boot up, wont recognize external hard drive up in safe mode but it took forever I tried a system restore why not and then when I restarted I had to wait at the black screen for about minutes and then it booted up I have to go through this everytime now and sometimes I have a problem shutting down Once everything boots up everything Vista-Black screen on boot up, wont recognize external hard drive in windows works fine eccept it wont recognize my external hard drive I can hear that the computer sees it but it wont come up Do you think that it is a hardware issue now or is it the mobo or something else I just dont know It is wierd that windows still functions fine once it is up Could anyone PLESE give me any advice on the situation Im not exactly an expert when it comes to this so I am completely lost Thank you nbsp

A:Vista-Black screen on boot up, wont recognize external hard drive

Hi

let if fail and then take it back to where you got it from , assuming its a new PC it should have warranty with it.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-black-screen-on-boot-up-wont-recognize-external-hard-drive.109507/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. So, these are my problems described in the title. I cannot change desktop from black, only can set a picture as a background.

When I am in pictures folder for example, I see blank or black thumbnails.
When I right click and go to personalize, I can see black themes instead of actual pictures.

I tried almost everything.
- reinstalling video driver
- clearing thumbnail from disk cleanup
- resetting dwm.exe
- going into safemode and then restaring into normal windows
- I tried fixing shell by using "fixshell"
- clearing & repairing registry errors
- ran an error checker
- ran a file checker

I have Microsoft Office 2010 - I heard that it could be the issue, but maybe I am not right, anyway...

I attached a print screen photo.

And, I am hopeless, any help please? Thanks

A:Windows 7 black screen, black or blank thumbnails, and black desktop themes

I noticed you're not running Aero. Click on last item, left side - "Troubleshoot problems with transparency...."

Office 2010 should not be a factor here. Public pics folder is empty - it should have sample pics in it.

Validate your OS installation - Genuine Microsoft Software

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-black-screen-black-or-blank-thumbnails-and-black-desktop-themes-553925.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I'm getting the black screen with movable cursor or KSOD Black Screen Of Death on Windows (Black Vista Black Of Death) Screen screen or with cursor movable KSOD Vista Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista What happens The system powers on POST BIOS Start windows normally Windows splash screen - gt Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista Black screen lt - What I can do I CAN enter BIOS and have reset the default settings I CAN press F to give me advanced boot options but all options have the same result apart from quot Repair your computer quot I CAN load the quot Repair your computer quot option I CAN move the mouse around the screen I CAN press shift times to get a dialogue to appear but no control panel I CAN press the power button to shut down the system I CAN start up in safe Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista mode which is exactly the same but with lower resolution I CANNOT seem to do anything else However there are workarounds to accessing the hard drive I CAN use MSDaRT or the System Recovery Tool I CAN use the hard drive as an external USB hard drive on another machine What I've tried Startup Repair - Could not detect a problem System Restore - No restore points Windows Complete PC Restore - A valid restore location could not be found Windows Memory Diagnostics - No errors SFC Scan - No problems Stand alone system sweeper - No problems Hotfix Uninstall - Nothing to uninstall I also COULD do a partial or full quot Packard Bell Recovery quot which is essentially like reinstalling windows I DO NOT want to do this I'm sure this is just a simple software issue really and I would rather avoid a reinstall Can anyone recommend what steps I should try to resolve this Thanks

A:Black screen with movable cursor or KSOD (Black Screen Of Death) Vista

I think I saw this post aver at Toms but I also think you gave some additional info.
I think what may be going on it during the switch from the windows low res video driver to the driver used in normal mode.

Since you can get into safe mode try to go to device manager.
Start|right click computer|properties|device manager.
Look in the display adapter.
Is there a yellow exclamation mark there?
Or is it showing the video that you know should be there?
Please post the video that the machine uses and or the PB model.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-with-movable-cursor-or-ksod-black-screen-of-death-vista-410636.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello every one I've been having a long term problem that has basically plagued my computer since I've built it Yet the issue manifests itself in different ways through out the years The issue is At certain seemingly random points my computer screen freezes with no BSOD Computer is still running with Firefox freezing Random, Life. Hard in Second hard and reset required. fans going No error message Sound stops Mouse is not responsive on screen Nothing works Screen is frozen on the last picture A holding down of the power button for a hard reset is the only way to recover Through out the years since I've changed graphics cards and RAM chips in order to try and solve this Random, hard freezing in Firefox and Second Life. Hard reset required. problem I've found that the RAM had no effect on the issue but the graphics cards perhaps did Back in I had constant random freezing at random intervals during the days of the week whilst basically doing any thing An SLI set up of two Geforce s I finally discarded one of the graphics cards to only run one and that seemingly fixed most random freezing issues for some time Though it did happen on some rare occasion that I could not explain How ever In I upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX OC and found that issues immediately arose again I could not activity render videos in Adobe Premiere Elements whilst working on the video editing software with out a hard freeze Basically unable to render videos in real-time whilst working on them any more More issues started occurring later with this same card When watching Youtube videos in Firefox browser Occasionally with increasing frequency watching videos in the browser were causing this problem Then I discovered the option to disable 'hardware acceleration' and the problem hasn't arisen in the browser since Come Using a program known as 'Second Life' that does tend to use a lot of resources When computer resources were being strained too hard this problem did return on a rare occasion when I was running dual clients of this program In this same program known as 'Second Life' had gone through some updates and now for some reason the freezing issue has reared its ugly head in a big way Some times I can't be on this program for even an hour and the hard freeze occurs To fix this issue from that point I've tried updating to the latest graphics drivers No success I've even upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX Ti and again updated to the latest graphics drivers The issue still persists and renders use of them program unusable I am able to play games such as Guild Wars Grand Theft Auto Trove etc with out issue how ever I do not know what is causing the issue in order to know what I need to fix My current setup is ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Operating System Windows Professional -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd System Model X A-UD BIOS Award Modular BIOS v PG Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce GTX Ti DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV C amp SUBSYS amp REV A Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit H... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396853-random-hard-freezing-firefox-second-life-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi I have this year old Lenovo Y config below The discrete graphic card has In WIN Screen Mode POST During , Screen Safe Even Black 7 Black probably fried a long time ago so last year when I did a clean install of Windows I had to disable ATI Card permanently in the device manager using safe mode Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode and used the Intel integrated card A few days ago I booted up windows only to encounter quot A disk read error has occurred press ctrl alt del to restart quot I tried to boot up using WIN install disc but soon after the Starting Windows logo the screen Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode turns black and I am left with a cursor in a black screen I tried to boot into Safe Mode but still I encountered a black screen with just the cursor I booted with Ubuntu live usb and was able to access all my partition and did back up and even formatted the Windows Partition I tried to boot using a WinPe and faced the Black screen with a cursor again I even reset BIOS to default changed Graphics Adapter from quot Discrete' to quot Switchable' and vice-versa but no effect at all When I boot up using Ubuntu and ran lspci grep VGA I can see both cards listed I even tried to boot up using Windows preview disk still I get a black screen after the Windows loading screen I can't afford to buy any laptop presently since I am currently at college so using Ubuntu for now Is ther any way to install Windows again Is it possible to get the ATI Card working properly- reballing reflow Any way to permanently disable the ATI card and get windows to boot up using the integrated chip Notebook Lenovo IdeaPad Y Processor Intel Core i M Graphics Adapter Switches B W Intel HD amp ATI Mobility Radeon HD

A:Black Screen During WIN 7 POST , Black Screen Even In Safe Mode

What other graphics adapter choices are available in BIOS setup? If you choose Switchable is there software on the Lenovo site for your model that's needed? Are you using the Display adapter software from there?

Have you tested your HD with the maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by a full Disk Check on a single disk partition you create?

Then work through the steps for Overcoming Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums including trying an alternate install method (disk><flash stick) with new media. These steps overcome almost all install failures, so you'll be reasonably sure the problem is hardware or BIOS settings if nothing works. But don't skip any steps.

Try Clean Install Windows 10 Technical Preview to see if there's any difference with a more modern OS install. It's already a very polished OS and worth testing this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/351512-black-screen-during-win-7-post-black-screen-even-safe-mode.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I had my Asus laptop for a while now then I restarted it but stay on the windows 10 but now it loads on ASUS IN SEARCH OF INCREDIBLE then turns black then shuts off then turns on and does the same thing until I turn it off but when I turn it back on it does the same thing somebody help me also my battery is built in so I can't take it out

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3134938/hard-asus-laptop-loading-asus-search-incredible-black-screen-shuts.html
Relevancy 46.87%

hi, i have been on a advent help forum, to try and rectify my USB issue.
i was told to reset the bios. (model Advent T1)

this didn't fix the original problem, but instead created another.
the screen when the PC restarted was showing an extremely dark screen.

i cannot see any settings in the bios that can change this back.

and also nothing in device manager or Display properties (changing contrast, colour etc. has little effect)

can anyone help with this?

cheers

Relevancy 46.44%

I have been struggling with an intermittent problem for many months and it is getting worse I am running windows vista on a toshiba satellite laptop My screen will go dark not quite as black as when the computer is off when I am using it and although the computer is still working I cannot see the screen Then on startup I can occasionally see flashes of the startup logo which is enough to let me know it is loading My cursor quits working as well After I run spybot in safe mode and then Startup screen black, screen flickers to all black run it again at startup it works for some time This last time was days So I believe I have a nasty virus I run Norton all the time spybot rather frequently and Startup screen flickers to black, then all black screen malaware bytes about once a month I am able to Startup screen flickers to black, then all black screen get it in safe mode by hitting the down arrow once and hitting enter It is very frustrating I don t think it is the video card as it is repaired after spybot use Any suggestions nbsp

A:Startup screen flickers to black, then all black screen

That is weird situation I'd say. I am unsure what actually is the issue here, perhaps one way of finding what may be happening is having a look at your Event Viewer Logs. You can find Event Viewer, in Control Panel, Administrative Tools.

Also please follow these 8-steps, and post your logs at Malware and Virus Removal Forum for analysis. Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/startup-screen-flickers-to-black-then-all-black-screen.150656/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi there,

Am using a Dell Inspiron 6400 with XP. It'd been running ridiculously slowly recently so I started an AVG scan and AVG immediately threw up a file, which I then deleted, then I got a "fatal error" message flash up. Since then I havent been able to get to the log in screen, it merely goes to the black screen with cursor, and Safe Mode is just a black screen with Safe Mode in each corner. Ctrl Alt Del also doesnt work in Safe Mode for some reason, and I have no CD. Ho ho.

Anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Relevancy 46.01%

Hi Never been great with this sort of stuff but this has got me really confused I was playing Steam this morning and suddenly the game froze After a couple of minutes it went back to the desktop but the background was black Chrome was reset not signed in no bookmarks no history default settings and all of my documents and pictures were gone Even more confusing was that Steam was no longer on the installed programs list First thought was a virus but background, + lost documents Black reset, pictures Chrome none of the scans detected anything so I tried using sfc scannow and it found corrupt files but couldn't repair them Then I tried Shadow Explorer and it did find the deleted documents pictures but when I exported them it says unable to open and most of the pictures are blurred cut in half So I'm Black background, Chrome reset, lost documents + pictures just left wondering what the hell happened I have a backup of most of the documents but not all of them so any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/68191-black-background-chrome-reset-lost-documents-pictures.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Bit of a long story but here I go I have Radeon with the crossfire thing set up it s been working well for over years Over the last few weeks I ve been having issues mostly while watching videos usually HD and AMD white/low 6950 Radeon problems screen/black (black and resolution) or full screen The video will freeze the audio will loop then eventually the screen goes black and I get an error message saying quot Display driver AMD Radeon 6950 problems (black screen/black and white/low resolution) has stopped working AMD Radeon 6950 problems (black screen/black and white/low resolution) and has recovered quot Sometimes it didn t recover and I have to turn the computer off What s now happening is it will freeze at the windows start up Then after resetting I will get to windows in very very low resolution and in black and white So I re-seated the cards I couldn t notice any obvious damage to it except the fans were very dusty so I cleaned them Boot it up and I still get the black and white I checked the device manager and it said one of the cards was having problems I uninstalled both drivers from that menu not quite sure if I should have done this and for whatever reason it s now working However it now seems one of my cards is not being recognised Only one display adapter is shown in the device manager and AMD catalyst only recognises one card too What s the best course of action to determine what s wrong with what card still not quite sure which one it is Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Pro bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - K CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD Series - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P Z -V Antivirus Windows Defender Disabled nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-radeon-6950-problems-black-screen-black-and-white-low-resolution.1116301/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello So on my computer something strange happens when I uninstall UxStyle It Black Post-Windows Flashing Black Screen Update UxStyle has broken my Windows install once and it has done it again The UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen first time I kept on doing system restores to see what was the problem that made that black screen After trial and error I narrowed it down to UxStyle So I deleted Windows and installed Windows which is what I wanted in the first place Now I decided to triple-boot Windows with Vista and and it has succeeded I reinstalled UxStyle thinking it was just a problem with my old Windows install and then uninstalled it after a few days since I felt like the regular look was better I rebooted Windows and the same effect happened So I would like to know if I can get and replace those three patched DLLs with unpatched DLLs for Windows Could I just change the broken ones to have old next to them and then place the ones I get here there Also would sfc scannow work

A:UxStyle Black Flashing Post-Windows Update Black Screen

Hello lct01a, and welcome to Eight Forums.

A sfc /scannow will attempt to repair any modified or corrupted system files, so that would be a good first step.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - Run in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/47244-uxstyle-black-flashing-post-windows-update-black-screen.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello there So as the title says I'm having some problems with my computer I bought it about weeks ago Goes Stays Black BlueScreen MMO's. and playing Screen Black, Restarts and no issues with it other than when I try to play an MMO that would make the graphics card work The graphics card that is installed in the computer was separately bought and installed so I'm thinking it might be conflict issues with the card but I don't know The way it happens is I run the games I can play for anything from a minute to mins and then my screen says it has disconnected from the image goes black and I can hear my computer restart but my screen stays black I have to manually power off and back on for my screen to start showing images again Once restarted i get the quot Problem Event Name Bluescreen quot thing It's really annoying since I just bought GW and I can't play properly any help would be appreciated Also in the Action Center it's said that my Nvidia Graphics Card has stopped working or crashed multiple times naming the exact times my computer crashed which is why I believe it has to do with my card

A:BlueScreen playing MMO's. Screen Goes Black, Restarts and Stays Black

Code:
BugCheck 116, {fffffa800cf0e010, fffff88010aee630, ffffffffc000009a, 4}

Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys ( nvlddmkm+ade630 )

Code:
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys
Image name: nvlddmkm.sys
Timestamp: Tue Oct 02 19:21:13 2012 (506B3099)
Follow these steps:STOP 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR troubleshooting
Overclocking -
I recommend if you are overclocking any hardware, that you reset these values within the BIOS to their default values in order to increase the stability of your system.

Please run the following tests for your graphics card and RAM:
RAM - Test with Memtest86+
Run Memtest86+ for least 7-8 passes, and preferrly overnight as it can take a while to fully complete.

Test each RAM stick individually, if an error is found then move the same RAM stick into the next DIMM slot and test again, if errors are found for the same RAM stick in every available slot then you have a faulty RAM module. On the other hand, if no errors are found in the next slot or the other slots for the same RAM module, then you have a faulty DIMM slot.

Test each RAM stick and every motherboard DIMM slot available.

Graphics Card:Video Card - Stress Test with Furmark
Read all the steps within the hardware test tutorials very carefully, as stress tests is designed run components to their maximum capacity, in order to point out failing or faulty hardware components.

Use the following program to monitor your hardware temperatures during the stress test:CPUID HWMonitor
Hard Drive:Disk Check
CrystalDiskInfo - Software - Crystal Dew World
SeaTools for Windows | Seagate
Scan for corrupted or missing Windows files with:SFC /SCANNOW : Run in Command Prompt at Boot
Please check for the latest driver updates (may have to install a older driver) for your graphics card on the manufacturer's website, and check for any driver compatibility issues with:Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows
If you are using DirectX, then try uninstalling and then reinstalling the DirectX API:How to download and install DirectX

Please post back your results

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/265537-bluescreen-playing-mmos-screen-goes-black-restarts-stays-black.html
Relevancy 45.58%

i believe virus deleted a system 32 exe file it is a confident guess. I have a true black screen nothing at all comes up doesn't load anything no hot keys work. windows 7 hp laptop I need to know if I can get into bios if f keys don't work, cd repair disk don't work. what can I do power button and wifi button lights up on keyboard and fans are running but black screen no response. it is not a graphic card problem not a hardware problem at all. please help

A:Black Screen of Death true black no keys work at all!!!HELP

Do you see the bios splash screen?
Did you ever enter BIOS before, so you know how to do it?
Do you see the win7 animated welcome screen (prior to logon)?
------
cd repair disc .... you mean this? System Repair Disc - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/329399-black-screen-death-true-black-no-keys-work-all-help.html
Relevancy 45.15%

When i press the power button evrythings looks ok all fans starts the led on my keyboard flashes but the flashing led on my screen that indicate that it s sleeping does nt stop flashing which mean it does nt receive any information When i press restart it often solve the problem and my screen computer starts perfectly I JUST INSTALLED A BRAND NEW POWER SUPPLY hight quality the problem still there If someone know how to get a log file that would help me to determin the problem - you BLACK!!!(black know PITCH i mean?) screen press you when power what Does reseting de cmos could solve sumtin - To reset cmos i need to remove the bateri for PITCH BLACK!!!(black screen when you press power you know what i mean?) about second - does a poor batery could make such problems - I need hlp Or if someone have already experienced that problem and could tell me what you did to solve the problem i just baught a power supply antec but i didnt solve anything my d card is brand new and my cable looks fine but who knows pls HLP ME information about this error must be written in some log files Thanks for replies nbsp

A:PITCH BLACK!!!(black screen when you press power you know what i mean?)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pitch-black-black-screen-when-you-press-power-you-know-what-i-mean.421322/