Windows Support Forum

XP Home - Getting Kicked off Cable over and over

Q: XP Home - Getting Kicked off Cable over and over

Since 04/14/04 I have been getting booted off my cable connection over and over and over and over again; no error messages, just stops [modem keeps flashing]. After rebooting it operates for a few seconds.

This started after receiving a Channel Message, which read something to the effect of, "New Device on Channel 2". The message occurred when logging on to Windows. After x-ing out of this message the saga began and continues. I have contacted my ISP [Comcast] 3x, in which everything indicates being normal; the other computer is not affected; it is running XP Pro and connected to another port on the hub which connects both computers to the Internet.

I have performed the follwoing: SpyHunter, Virus Scan, System Restore, Defrag, Microsoft Updates, and even System Mechanic.

Can someone help me?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: XP Home - Getting Kicked off Cable over and over

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 24.94%

Something like this but with a thin male connector. I need it to connect flash drives to a usb port where there's little space available around the usb port because the ports around are busy (happens in MacBook air for example).

A:I need a usb to usb cable adapter with thin male end

I think you're talking about a USB to Lightening converter
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey guys I have been trying to set up my tv so I can watch movies online... to say the least it is not going well.. I have been trying for over 2 hours and 2 trips to Best Buy to figure out why i have no sound on my tv.

My headphone jack does work.
There is a picture due to the vga cable.
I have a Y Cable plugged all in but no sound

Please someone help!!

A:Laptop to TV no audio with VGA cord and y cable

Hey, I've tried to set this up at one point.. VGA doesn't seem to give sound at least on some T.V's so if you have a sound input you could try:
amazon [dot ]

sor maybe you could get something like:
electgadget [dot]

play [dot] com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/20708900/Trixes-HDMI-Male-To-VGA-Cable-1-8m/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:20708900|prd:20708900

However I don't with to take the blame if any of these don't work
Relevancy 24.51%

I recently used a program Autoruns,, and deleted some startup things I shouldn't have.. Since then I cant connect to internet, the troubleshooter for wireless adapter says the Windows wireless service is not running on this computer (WLAN Autoconfig service) and fails to start the service.
I notice on windows task manager there are only about 13 Processes running and there are usually about 20, and on Services there are about 40 running and about 100 or more stopped services. Thanks for the help

Also on startup now I have a pop up on bottom saying, Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond. And the startup and logon time is really long now

A:Windows 7 can't connect to internet through Wifi or ethernet cable

Sounds like you deleted the network drivers, I did this once and ill be honest unless someone here knows a trick, or you have a CD with drivers you are going to have to have a hell of a time unless you know the name of the hardware and download the right driver, thats my guess. best of luck
Relevancy 24.51%

I have an Aspire one NAV50 with Windows 7 starter.

One time, when I turned it on, The icon for wireless connection doesn't appear anymore. Every time I try troubleshoot it, it would just say that there is an ethernet cable unplugged. And so, I connected it into the ethernet cable and it works fine. But when I tried it again on the wireless connections, it doesn't locate to any wireless connection.

I've tried the ff on my laptop:

scan the laptop with MalwareBytes
by the way, last night, when I turned on again the laptop, the wireless connections can already be found. However, after few minutes, it went back to being unlocated again.

A:Laptop would work on ethernet cable not on Wireless Connections

I had doubt the Starter supports the Wireless connecting but since you say " the wireless connections can already be found.", so probably it's possible.
In this case and at the moment the thing I'm thinking about is the driver. Try to update its driver for wireless connecting. (You've said the 'update', but update of what?).
Relevancy 24.94%

hi there my wireless through cable work will not My only ethernet internet internet was My internet will only work through ethernet cable not wireless running fine until yesterday when I tried to connect to the internet the message quot windows can t communicate with the device or resource primary dns server quot came up I followed all methods on this website http answers microsoft com en-us w -b d ec fae but none of them worked for me I then returned my laptop to factory settings in the hope it will work but that didnt not work I then realised it works through the ethernet cable but not wireless I ran ipconfig all with my ethernet cable in and this is the result SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME THANKYOU Windows IP Configuration Host Name Nida-TOSH Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL CE Wireless LAN n PC I-E NIC Physical Address D -DF- A-EB- -B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d fccc e c eb Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained October Lease Expires October Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EB- A- A-B - -F -D - -E DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address B - -F -D - -EF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap EEB-B - C-AC - CEB F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address ef fb affc eb Pre erred Link-local IPv Address fe affc eb Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap DF D AB- BF- FA - CB -DFA C Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My internet will only work through ethernet cable not wireless

There may be an issue on the ISP side or router side since restoring to defaults didnt help. Or it could be an issue with the network adapter. Or it could be an issue with the firewall.

Try downloading running these tools (download via ethernet, run on wireless): Network Fix-It Tool (right click on the internet bars on the task bar in the bottom right hand side of the screen, and click "troubleshoot network...") and Firewall Fix-It Tool.

Did you install anything on your PC before this happened? Did Windows install any updates?

Try disabling your AntiVirus. That may be the issue. I doubt it though.

Tell me if any of these solutions help.
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey guys,

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEH15EN laptop & the OS is Windows 7 home basic. I have a wifi router which is of TPLINK.

The wifi won't connect to my laptop but it works fine on my would only start working when I use the ethernet cable. I never had this problem before. I have tried everything ..I also tried the winsockfix.bat but all my efforts have gone in vain..I just don't know if the wifi router is faulty or the modem of my ISP...Please help me solve this problem.

Best Regards,

A:Wifi on my laptop won't work but works when I use the ethernet cable

I have solved the problem by myself. To do this, first you have to disconnect your Ethernet cable from your laptop and follow the steps: Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Manage Wireless Networks and remove all wireless connections by right click on it and select Remove network from the drop down menu. After doing this, close the windows and scan for the Wi-Fi networks. Click on the available network and select connect. After a while, you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type the password and click on connect button. And now will be connected to your Wi-Fi network via wireless.

May be it will help you.
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi! I don't know much about this place but there's a problem with my laptop and I don't know how to solve it. My laptop won't connect to the wifi anymore but it works perfectly fine with the ethernet cable. I appreciate it very much if you tech geniuses could help me out. THANK YOU!

A:My WiFi on my laptop won't work but works with Ethernet cable

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?
Relevancy 24.08%

Hi guys I ve been researching and trying to days to get this to work with no avail so I decided to post here for some help as doesn't Ethernet connected Wifi work cable. using working when only Internet I see this community is really active We ve got different laptops here and none of them can connect to the wifi anymore it suddenly stopped working for the last whole week We can connect to the internet through ethernet cables though We only use one at a time if ethernet then wireless is disabled and vice versa Here is a copy of the ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name PeterMai-HP Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Internet only working when connected using Ethernet cable. Wifi doesn't work Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List moolahd local Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix moolahd local Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address AC- - D- B-ED-F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ac a d b Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday October PM Lease Expires Tuesday October PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -FB- -AC- - D- B-ED-F DNS Servers Primary WINS Server NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom GN b g n x Wi-Fi Ada pter Physical Address -ED-B - D- -FD DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c f e e b fc f Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -FB- -AC- - D- B-ED-F DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap optusnet com au Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap moolahd local Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface CE FC E - F - C C- D - D EBEC Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap DDFAF D- B- -AA A-DBE BA F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface E ED - - A -BB -FB FA F F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes And here is a copy of the route print Interface List ac d b ed f Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller ed b d fd Broadcom GN b g n x Wi-Fi Adapter Software Loopback Interface e Microsoft to Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter e Microsoft ISATAP Adapter IPv Route Table Active Routes Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric O... Read more

A:Internet only working when connected using Ethernet cable. Wifi doesn't work

You have an IP on your LAN, but none on your wifi. Check your router to make sure DHCP for wifi is turned on and you have enough available addresses.
Relevancy 20.64%

Hey guys,

I had a quick question about a network at home.

My house is 15m tall and 9m wide, I want to network 3 computers (mine, wife, son).

Should I wire the house with Ethernet cat 5e cable and put a 100 base T switch?
Just put a Wi-Fi access point and Wi Fi cards for the 3 computers.

I prefer wireless, but I?ve heard Ethernet would have slightly faster speeds due to less aerial interference.

Suggestions? Solutions? Thank you!

A:A network for home? Which one?

First of all... don't put a 100 base T switch anywhere but the backup bin. If you're going to bother wiring anything put in GbE as it's inexpensive now. Also, if you're going to bother with any wiring then I'd put in the best/fastest type I could find to future proof it as much as possible. Fishing cable isn't something you want to repeat in a couple of years.

To more directly answer your question, Wi-Fi will probably be fine for you depending on the distance from your WAP (wireless access point) and what your walls are made of. You'll also need to keep in mind any other Wi-Fi interference so the distance to your neighbors can have an affect. All that being said any modern WAP will be faster than a 100 base T switch under normal conditions when it comes to throughput (how much data you can move) - but worse when it comes to latency (how long a specific bit of data takes to get from one point to another). If you're playing games you'll want low latency. If you're just streaming content or moving files around then you just want throughput.
Relevancy 24.51%

I get a bit jittery when I'm unplugging cable connectors (these images are just examples, I'm thinking of all types of connectors). What's the best way to safely unplug them?, pull from the cables or from the plastic case. What's your experience?. This pics are just a few examples of connectors. I'm posting this thread about any type of connectors. Thank you.

A:What's the best way to unplug laptop cable internal connectors on motherboard etc?

Many simply pull apart. Watch out for the ones with locking tabs though. I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as you take your time.
Relevancy 24.94%

Alright I ll make it short but informative I can t connect cable able internet Only via to ethernet to connect to the internet without an ethernet cable I have tried pressing the laptop s quot WiFi quot button but nothing has happened The light didn t even change I have tried Only able to connect to internet via ethernet cable rebooting and going into BIOS to see Only able to connect to internet via ethernet cable if there was on option there nothing I Only able to connect to internet via ethernet cable have tried going into Device Manager and under quot Network Cards quot I got options I believe I had options though now I have only first I tried to deactivate it and the reactivate it but that just made it not work at all and when I got home and got my connection back I tried to update the drivers which is when I noticed I only had because I was at school when all showed up so I didn t have connection to update them but it just said that they were all up to date I have tried using the windows recovering tool to go back before the problem occurred Though I did get an error the first time due to my AVG being up so it couldn t complete but after that I tried doing it again with AVG off but the situation didn t change and I know the problem isn t with the router as the problem occurs with different WiFi s In the beginning it would only say quot can t connect to the internet quot over and over again but now it won t even show the available WiFi networks in the area Any help is much appreciated nbsp

A:Only able to connect to internet via ethernet cable

Any suggestions at all? if you require more information in order to come up with a solution, just tell me what you need an ill try my best to figure it out
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a desktop computer that is running on Windows Xp, up until this morning, everything was fine, I could connect to the internet with no problem.

I turned on my computer, and it is telling me that the network cable is unplugged, as well as my network is not showing when i go to "my network connections"

But yet.....

I AM connected to my router, and there is no problem with the cord (I tried it on different computers as well as my Xbox 360 on the same I know its not the router)....when I go into device manager, everything seems to be working correctly, and my network adapter and ethernet card both are marked as working properly.

Any ideas how I can fix this issue ?

A:"Network cable is unplugged" but its really not..

sadgyrl514 said:

I have a desktop computer that is running on Windows Xp, up until this morning, everything was fine, I could connect to the internet with no problem.

I turned on my computer, and it is telling me that the network cable is unplugged, as well as my network is not showing when i go to "my network connections"

But yet.....

I AM connected to my router, and there is no problem with the cord (I tried it on different computers as well as my Xbox 360 on the same I know its not the router)....when I go into device manager, everything seems to be working correctly, and my network adapter and ethernet card both are marked as working properly.

Any ideas how I can fix this issue ?Click to expand...

Try rebooting,
Relevancy 19.35%

I have a Gateway NE56R and ever since I updated to windows 8.1 I cannot use the internet at home even though it says it is connected to WiFi, but it works at other places. Please help asap
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi there,

The laptop I have is an asus P550C, windows 7.

This laptop came pre-installed with Mcafee Antivirus protection for a limited amount of time. Wifi was working perfectly fine although there were occasions where the connection would disconnect by itself. After the free-trial ended, I did not want to buy the packaged they were advertising so I went to my Control Panel and uninstalled Mcafee. This was when the problem started to occur. The internet access icon had a red x and when I went to diagnose the problem, it said that I needed to connect via an ethernet cable. Since then, I have connected it with an ethernet and internet works and I have also installed AVG's free antivirus software.

I have tried to
type: ipconfig /flushdns
type: nbtstat -R
type: netsh int reset all
type: netsh int ip reset
type: netsh winsock reset

But I still cannot connect via wifi. Please help

A:Wifi has stopped working but still able to connect to internet via ethernet cable

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : jay-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 54-35-30-05-36-68
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-EE-7B-28-57-D7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9dfa:dcc6:3d3b:ae86%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : March-27-15 4:14:52 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : March-28-15 4:14:52 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 247262843
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1A-51-D7-D4-BC-EE-7B-28-57-D7

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter isatap.{A9DA0935-EE1F-4A59-8A97-DDA13A7DFFEA}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:2c47:1b6c:9c1d:d26b(Pref
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2c47:1b6c:9c1d:d26b%14(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Relevancy 24.94%

I need the best and most compatible router for TWC?
I need the router to reach a very good distance (between 3 houses really close to each other). Or would it be better to get a booster?

A:Wi-fi router for Time Warner Cable

To share from house-to-house, you need a strong RF signal so look for MIMO Class routers with multiple antennas, three if you can find one. If the lot layout is like a triangle between the houses, one good router should work, otherwise when lined-up like a fence, you will need a repeater.
Relevancy 25.8%

Would it work to plug it in from the pc to tv to watch ?

A:Appropriate cable?

Does the TV and PC both support VGA connection? If so then yes, but only if you don't have a digital connection to choose otherwise. If you have a DVI, HDMI, or Display Port to use instead, those would be preferable over analog signaling.
Relevancy 24.51%

So I have a Toshiba Portege r500 with no H/d & a second one for parts. When I went to take the H/D and pop it in I realized the H/D hook-up cables are different. The "parts laptop" has a "FMUSH1" cable connecting it to the sata drive. The newer Portege has a cable labeled " FMUPH2" (I'm assuming for an SSD?)

My Question is....Can easily swap them somehow or is there an adapter/converter possibly?

Thanks in advance for any possible help!

A:Fmuph2 HDD Cable Issue (Toshiba Portege R500)

So with more research I'm thinking I have a ZIF Tape (Cable) that previously connected to a 1.8 SSD which I now need to convert to a 2.5 sata connection.
I ordered a 24-Pin ZIF to SATA Adapter Connector Card off eBay. It comes with its own "ribbon" (Tape/cable whatever) as shown in the pic. Will I need to replace the ZIF from my mobo with it? or is it simply in case "you" need it?
Also just wondering could I have swapped out the sata ribbon (Fmush1) with the ZIF ribbon (Fmuph2) where they connect to the MoBo instead? (It's extremely difficult to get to on this model and the "clips" seem very fragile so I avoided attempting it)
Relevancy 25.8%

I am trying to connect my laptop with an external monitor through vga The good thing is that all VGA cables work And by work I mean I see image on the external screen many Vga are How there? cable. configurations BUT I have noticed something else On pin of the cables I bought I found out that pins and are Vga cable. How many configurations are there? interconnected short circuited On an another pin cable pin is missing non of the pins are Vga cable. How many configurations are there? interconnected How does that affects anything Well if I install the pin cable my external monitor is recognized for what it is LG Vga cable. How many configurations are there? l bla bla Also from within the Intel graphics control panel I am able to access many of the monitor features such as brightness contrast etc And I am not talking about the emulated gpu features I am talking about native monitor settings as if I was controlling them from the screen menu Now if I install the other cables pin pins connected my monitor is recognized as generic non pnp monitor and non of these functions are available PLUS when I turn my laptop off screen does not go into power saving mode but stays on complaining about signal error I searched around and found a number of diagrams and pin configurations It seems that the standard vga cable is nothing but standard I also run into posts of people with similar problems Can someone provide a short explanation Why not all vga cables are the same And in my case how do I know what cable to use So far I ordered from e-bay and all came with pins and connected They work but not with the extra features and that is somehow an inconvenience Thanx My Monitor is Lg Flatron L QTQ-SF And the laptop is Samsung NP V A- S GR nbsp
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey guys, my laptop asus stopped working with wifi connection and I was just reading some posts here about this same problem but didn't find how to fix it.

I was uninstalling some programs from my pc but I didn't uninstall programs named "something wireless". I just took off what I knew I could.

I also tried the option "solve problems" in the wireless pc symbol and the answer was to connect my laptop to an ethernet cable...that never happened. Just now.

Does anyone knows how I get back my wireless connection? Pleasee

A:WiFi doesn't work only with cable ethernet

Powercycle the modem and router. Here is a specific order if you have a separate modem and router.
1. Shut down all PC's.
2. Shut down the Modem and router.
3. Power on the modem only. Wait 2 minutes or so.
4. Power on the router. Wait 2 minutes or so.
If you have a modem/router combo, then you don't need step 4.
5. Boot up the PC and see if you can connect.
Relevancy 19.78%

jobeard Hi jobeard In the beginning of the month you seemed to have solved this issue http www techspot com community topics internet-connection-through-ethernet-but-not-wifi You or someone else might be a great help for me as well since I have a similar issue At home I don t have access to wifi it says limited access although the internet is working fine by an ethernet cable at home In addition I do have access to wifi at work or in public places like a hotel I have already browsed the web but I still cannot figure it out An TCP wifi Limited but at home, other acces not places at IP Limited wifi acces at home, but not at other places reset did not work the drivers of my wifi adapter Limited wifi acces at home, but not at other places should be fine My system information - HP Elitebook - Windows Enterprise Edition bit - wifi router DrayTek Vigor AP this device acts as an access point that broadcasts wifi it is not the actual modem If you have any advice for me please let me know it is strange that I only have this wifi probem Is it maybe because there is an homegroup actually I don t know whether there is one Is it maybe because of the AV program I have McAffee but since it this the laptop from work I can t uninstall it I really don t know anymore I have included files with the output of the commands IPCONFIG ALL and ROUTE PRINT Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Limited wifi acces at home, but not at other places

Hello maarten747 ,

As far as I can see from the ipconfig output your laptop doesn't seem to obtain IP address.
You could try configuring one manually to test this theory. Something like: IP address, Subnet mask:, Gateway:, DNS1:, DNS2: . Just keep in mind that the details listed here are just a guess as I'm not fully aware of the specifics of your home network and a static IP configuration for the wifi adapter is not a good idea actually, so once done testing change it back to obtain IP address automatically.

Also in what wireless operation mode is your DrayTek configured?
Do you have any other wireless devices that are connecting to the same DrayTek ?
When you connect your laptop with ethernet cable, is the ethernet cable connected to the same DrayTek or a different device?
Relevancy 15.48%

About a week ago, our cable internet connection went out. Before I had a chance to reboot the modem & router, my 11 year old decided to completely reset the router to factory settings! Ugh! This caused several issues: my home network is now gone, only a unsecured factory network is available. When I try to plug my laptop into the router via ethernet cord (in order to login to router and setup secure network) my computer will not recognize the router and won't connect to internet. I tried troubleshooting with my cable provider and they say it's in my computer (IP address will not reset) and he recommended I replace my network card. However, today when I brought my laptop to work, it will instantly recognize the wifi at work. So is it really my network card that is causing issues? Please help, I'm desperate and not tech too tech savvy!

Linksys wireless router
Charter cable modem
Hp pavillion dv6 laptop with Windows Vista OS

A:Laptop won't connect to home wifi but will connect to work wifi

Did you figure this out?
Relevancy 21.93%

I'm a new Plusnet customer and I cannot connect to the internet using wifi I just get a page saying the broadband is down. So I tried using an ethernet cable and after manually setting this up I can use the internet. I accidentally disconnected the cable yesterday but the internet didn't fault, it's now working wirelessly. I can connect to the wifi using my mobile and iPad but I cannot connect to the internet. A new router has been sent and the problem still persists, a bt engineer has also visited but cannot find a solution.

Can anybody please help me?

A:I can't connect to wifi but connect with an Ethernet cable works, even when it isn't plugged in

It gets confusing as to which device is being used so as a guideline
disable one or the other (wifi vs wired) and don't allow both to be active at the same time. Technically, which ever device gets an IP address from your router will become the gateway to your ISP - - ignoring the connectivity of the second device to access your router.

With a laptop, we just toggle the keyboard to enable/disable wifi and the wired is easy - - just pull the cable out.

create a desktop shortcut to \windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
to control the devices (needs admin access)
expand [+] network adapters and you'll see the list
mine are

Dell Wireless 1502 ....
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Just right-click->disable and you can always right-click->enable

The png posted shows both are enabled and the wired has the gateway.
If the cable is disconnected, this is quite impossible.

SO, first control which device is to be used and then make the connection.
Relevancy 24.94%

Someone help me please cannot access but can cable LAN wifi internet My It s urgent Windows IP Configuration Host Name kent-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description My wifi cannot access internet but LAN cable can Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller NDIS Physical Address - -A -AF- - E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR WB- NG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - -CA- - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a e b ec Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained June Lease Expires June Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -D - C- - - -CA- - - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap CB C E- EC - E - CD- BE B CDC Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap AA FDD -F C - BD - D -CEDB F Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My wifi cannot access internet but LAN cable can

Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?
Relevancy 24.08%

Whenever I unplug from the router and go upstairs, I can't connect to my wi-fi. The problem also persists downstairs unless I am connected by ethernet. It's been happening for about 2 days. At first the wi-fi would jump in and out randomly and quickly but now it simply wont connect. Is it a virus or how can I fix it?

A:Wifi doesn't connect unless directly connected to router by ethernet cable

You might just need to restart your router / WiFI AP to resolve that issue.
Relevancy 20.21%

I know the parts are overkill for what I will be using it for to serve media to TV phones and pc s it will also back up my pc s weekly file server and questions Home server ftp sync to an offsite location I will be testing things like active directory and VMware because I use these are work but I cant really mess around with them to much there The server is will be running Windows Server R or R I haven t made up my mind yet I want to be able to leave the server on but have it go into a sleep mode until something is requesting data from the server over my lan or internet I know how to do this but I don t know if its good to do with RAID these are the parts I m using If you have any questions please ask me anything Fractal Design Define Mini http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD EFRX TB x in RAID http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Rosewill TACHYON- W http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Mushkin Enhanced Blackline GB x GB http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E ASUS GRYPHON Z LGA http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Intel Core i - Haswell GHz http www Home server questions newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Adaptec RAID T http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E SAMSUNG EVO GB http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Home server questions

Have you got a UPS? What's your question.

Also can you please tell me how you do the sleep mode? WOL when something requests access?
Relevancy 20.21%

I hope this is the right section to ask this question in. I'm a big newbie.
I'm having an issue that I have no clue how to solve. There is a specific webpage that I try to view at home with my laptop, and it never loads on Chrome and Firefox, but does on Explorer. But when I take the same laptop to work or school, it does load that website on all browsers. I also have a desktop that stays home, and has the same problem. Its so strange. I don't know if it's a network thing, or an facebook app thing.

I've tried re-installing Chrome, deleting all cookies and caches, disabling all extensions or plugins, and updating Flash and Java. Any ideas?

Mod Note: Facebook game link removed, you are too new to be trusted fully. Problem m ay be solvable without the exact game anyway.
Relevancy 25.37%

Recently I factory reset my windows 8 meta box, but in the reset it also got rid of all my drives, so I went to the meta box website and got all the drivers again, but when I try to connect to my wireless internet, nothing pops up, so I press trouble shoot then it says that I need a Ethernet cable to connect to the internet, and it won't let me change to wireless.
P.S. The windows I am on is windows 8 pro build 9200

Thank you.

A:Ethernet cable problem

Typical conflict; Need to use Either wired OR wifi but not both.
Disable the wired nic and then try to get a wifi connection - - be sure to enable the slide switch (usually on laptops).
Relevancy 24.94%

I have been have issues with my cable modem suddenly shutting down and then resetting itself. I am thinking it is time to replace the one I have that is at least 7 years old. What is the average life span of a modem?

A:Average life of a cable modem?

Perhaps it's overheating a bit due to dust build-up? I have a DSL modem/router combo and it's pretty warm. Since taking it apart is a bit of a pain, I use compress air & vacuum cleaner on it from time to time.

7 years does sound long, so might be better to replace it and give yourself the peace of mind.
Relevancy 20.21%

Couple days I got new a case Corsair Graphite 230T Orange. I installed mother board P8Z77-V LX, new cooler Evo212. I THINK I installed the motherboard right in the case. I had to remove 1 pin that was blocking the placement of the board.

A:New case possible short circuiting home

There is 1 board mounting post that needs to be left out from time to time. I even believe I've seen phenolic, or some type of composition pins to be put in that position.

If you look carefully at you board, you may be able to spot the position, by the lack of ground tracks running to it.

Best I can do. BTW, I don't really trust any thing to do with "tinyURL" or similar links. No offense intended.
Relevancy 19.78%

I have a SONY Handycam that uses MP120 8mm Video Cassettes. I used this Handycam to tape home videos. When I use the playback feature on the Handycam it seems as if it is playing back in a slower speed. When I connect the Handycam to my computer and play back, it does the same thing. It is as if the camera was recording at a wrong speed. Is there any way I can control the speed of the video camera via computer, so that I can get the home videos transferred to DVD?
Relevancy 19.78%

A colleague at work would like to set up either a SHN or a SBN. What is the best way to go about this? Would it be best to be safe to be cloud based? What equipment is needed etc...?

This will take some discussing, so please ask any questions you need. The intention would be for two/three people to access the information on the network initially. A printer will be shared on the network, allowing scan to email. Laptops would be used to access the network from external sites, this is why I'm thinking of going the cloud based route, so they can log on and access the server from anywhere in the world...

Any help/guidance is appreciated.
Thank You!

A:Setting up a small home/business network

Yes, you can consider the Cloud as a solution for access, BUT . . .
it also brings with it issues like:

You should start reading about these issues before committing to this solution.

One alternative would be a NAS device connected to your router. Putting your modem, router and NAS on a UPS power system would allow (with proper configuration) external access and you have total control, of all of the issues above.
Relevancy 24.94%

There's home wireless connection that my laptop won't connect to on its own. This wireless connects after the laptop has been connected to the router via the Ethernet cable, and stays connected with the cable unplugged until it drops (it's normal for my connection to drop sometimes), and then won't reconnect by itself again.

My wireless has wpa2-psk. OS is Vista.

Thank you.

A:Wireless only connects after Ethernet cable connection

Hey Sammy2. I assume your machine connected before with no connection issues.
Which Vista are you using,32 or 64 bit, and what Service Pack level is it on?
Do you have and use a good Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware cleaner?
When you lose your connection, is the Internet and wireless l.e.d.'s on the router still on?
Are there any other pc's that connect to this network?
When you state it won't connect again automatically, what do you do to get an Internet connection again?
Relevancy 19.78%

If I'm able to, how would I go about running a network hub from an existing port on the router?

I.E. Modem->Router->PCs/Hub->TV/PC

In theory I'm trying to run a wired connection to my room and have the ability to have my PC/TV and any other devices connected to the network physically, my wireless strength isn't exactly good and it's very inconsistent at best when it comes to my internet speeds makes it a bit harder to watch Netflix/Play games.

Any insight would be wonderful!

A:Question about a home network using a Linksys WRT54GS2

Modem > Router >

Then use a LAN port on the router to connect to a LAN port on the hub.
Relevancy 24.94%

While transportation, probably my Harddisk must have moved or something, now I cant access it.
I have a Western Digital 1TB HD, and a Western Digital 500 GB HD.
Here's an image explaining whats going on! Can anyone help me with this?

A:PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

The message

pxe-61: media failureClick to expand...

is telling you that

the CD has nothing mounted which is bootable
the HD has nothing that is bootable
so it tries to boot using the NIC interface and it too has failed
You need to investigate the MBR and the C:\ partition for validity
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a Windows 7 computer wired into my home network. It has a printer attached to it that I have set to share. I have a windows 7 laptop and an XP laptop. Both 7 machines can see open the shared drives on the XP machine but when I try to access the shared drives of either 7 machine from any of the other machines I am asked to give a User ID and a password. This is a private Home network. I have no passwords set up on any of the machines. I'm trying to set up the printer on the two laptops and I can't access it without the User ID Password window popping up. Does anyone know what the problem is?

A:Home Network asking for user ID and password

This is all normal operation for print/file sharing. If you really want sharing without using passwords (imo a security risk), then you need to google for "anonymous sharing"
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi there,

I am new to home networking.

I am trying to connect 2 of my apartment with network as well as all my rooms.

I wonder if my networking will work in this way? Please advise if I need to change any devices.

A:Will My Home Network Work?

Hmm that diagram is most interesting - - and imo hard to determine what's what.

Try something like:

isp==modem/router --- wired --- ?
+ - - - wifi - - ?
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi, I have been trying to solve my problem for two days. I spent some hours on the phone with my internet provider (Bell) to solve the problem and they finally told me that the problem would be my computer or my config.

The problem is that I can connect to internet with my cellphone and my tab but I cant connect with my computer. It says limited connectivity on my windows8. I tried disabling my firewall and most of the turotials posted on the net but still nothing works.

I would love to be able to solve this problem .ty

Ps: sorry if I am difficult to understand I usually speak french =)

I already tried to reinstall my network drivers (Broadcom) and it still doesnt work. My computer is a Dell AMD phenom X6 operating with windows 8 (64)

...I also tried the ip release and renew

A:Limited connectivity issue at home

Hey Math.Is your router secured?. If so,I would verify that you can connect using an Ethernet cable. If so, I would go into the router's setup and change the broadcast channel the router is using, change it to 10 or 11 and save the changes. Remove the cable, wait a minute, then try to connect.What is the make and model of your router?.
Relevancy 24.94%

I'm looking to buy a longer cable for this hard drive (Western Digital 2TB My Passport). One end is USB 3, what's the other? Would this be compatible?

A:What kind of cable does this external hard drive use?

A USB 2.0 cable will work. However the drive is USB 3.0 capable and if your PC has a USB 3.0 port you will want a cable like the one you linked. A USB 3.0 cable would be required for USB 3.0 transfer speeds. Also a USB 3.0 cable is backward compatible with USB 2.0 ports, so getting the USB 3.0 cable even if your PC only supports USB 2.0 is future proofing.
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi In my home office I have the Optimum Cable Modem that is connected to Vonage Phone VioP which is then connected to Belkin Wireless Router s WAN port At Belkin Wireless Router s LAN port I have my network printer connected and connection to my port netgear switch Netgear switch has connection from Belkin Wireless Router at port and Port through are connected to in wall patch panel that provides wired connection to all bedroom in the house Since bedrooms are on the other side of the house Belkin Wireless Router and Wired Wireless at networking home signal does not reach them So I set up another wireless router Tenda in my bedroom I Wired and Wireless networking at home believe I have Wired and Wireless networking at home set up the second wireless router correctly as I have connected the wall cat e cable to LAN of the Tenda Router configured it for static ip and disabled its DHCP I have also made sure that Belkin router only starts IP from I have two diff SSID name for Belkin and Tenda I can successfully connect wirelessly to Tenda for may be a day or so But then it stops working I can connect another cat e to Tenda s LAN port and connect to my laptop and it will work but wireless will not Restarting Tenda does not help I have to walk to my home office on the other side of the house and restart Belkin to have wireless in my room work again What am I doing wrong As per the load on the router we have phones in the house that connects wirelessly to Belkin all the rooms have computers that are directly connected We have Roku Xbox Google TV Box and Smart TV that connects wirelessly to Belkin nbsp

A:Wired and Wireless networking at home

For multiple routers, only the router connected to the modem has a wire in the WAN slot. For all others, connect to any LAN slot and leave the WAN slot empty.

Only the first router should have DHCP active.

All devices regardless of the connection type (wired vs wifi) or the device to which they connect (RouterA, RouterB, Switch1) will then have DHCP addresses on the subnet of routerA.

The static address will be immaterial but can still be accesses to control WiFi setups.

Suggest one wifi router be set to channel X and the other to any other channel than X.
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello, im looking to build my own home surveillance system to act as a DVR with cameras. im looking to build it inside a normal midtower computer case. but I want all the cameras to be hooked directly to the computer and have a few terabytes of storage. some lists of ideas and/or builds you would like to share would be ideal.

A:Home surveillance system custom build ideas?

Have you contacted NSA?

Ignore my stu-pid attempt at humor, I couldn't resist with all the NSA news going around. I'm sure someone with actual experience will join in.
Relevancy 20.21%

I have been using a pogo plug series on my home network with a USB TB hard drive attached to it for several months and for unknown reasons the pogo plug no longer sees the drive I have connected the drive directly to my PC and it responds normally and a check disk shows no errors at all I have a tech support request in - Personal Home NAS for Use recommendations Your with there tech support which seems to be going no where So I think its time for a change Your recommendations for NAS - Personal Home Use I am asking for your input on a recommended network storage device I can use on my home network that will not only allow me access to files stored on it but will also allow me to save files to it while away from home I use windows based equipment and if at all possible I would like to be able to access and save files from my ipad and iphone like the pogo plug allowed me to do via application When ever I had a question or PC problem the members of this forum have always come through with the right answer or proper solution for me and I Your recommendations for NAS - Personal Home Use hope you Your recommendations for NAS - Personal Home Use all will once again Thank you in advance able actual nbsp

A:Your recommendations for NAS - Personal Home Use

Well my network here is Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit on desktops, laptops, netbooks, tablets all the way except for tablet or netbook for testing running Windows 8 Pro 32-bit and 64-bit. Also Android tablets and smartphone have NSA325 app to access the NAS.

I use NSA325 pictured to your right on top shelf in my network system here in this mini network rack system. Supports USB 3.0 and 2.0 it has 3x USB ports, two drive bays for upto 6TB, also my Web Server (internal web site also called intranet) Color Laser Business Class shown in the picture below doesn't have network features but using NSA325 Print Server via USB port it's now networked.

This device is also my Network Media Center too. Devices like SONY SMP-N100 and SMP-N200 Network Media Players can access the NSA325 for media files, video, pictures and music. I also use as a NAS for File Server too. Everything goes to the NSA325, very fast too with 1.6GHz, 512MB of RAM. ZyXel link:
Relevancy 19.78%

I recently started using a gigabit switch alongside my TP-Link router.

My room is setup like a LAN area, with a desk long enough for 4 pc's, so I have 4 cables running from the switch to the computers.

My router is providing DHCP and has a PS3 and VOIP phone plugged up to it.

Is there anything blaring that would cause the machines not to transfer files at gigabit speeds? Currently they transfer at 10-12mbps, which is normal for a 10/100 connection.

Anything I'm missing?

I can get into a lot of detail, but I need to know what needs to be told.

A:Home Network Routing - Using a Switch for file transfers?

Weakest link in the chain prevails.

ISP=Router--switch-- PC{1+}
+--- other device(s)

Consider just devices attached to the router, the slowest Nic {wired or wifi} will control the bandwidth to the device. A PC with a 10/100 adapter dominate data to/from it regardless of the GB Switch. If PC.a and PC.b (both with GB adapters and attached to the switch) copy 'twix each other, you may get much better performance.

Data to/from other devices (attached to the router) will be dominated by the Router LAN port speeds or the devices themselves.

99% of us get no benefit whatsoever from GB routers or Switches as all devices need GB ratings :sigh:
Relevancy 20.21%

On my Apple IPod, my home button is like stuck down, it will not work no matter what type of pressure I apply. Am I screwed? or can it be fixed(take to apple store maybe)?

A:IPod Home Button Problems

take to apple store maybe?Click to expand...

at least talk to them
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi There -

Hoping someone can come up with a new solve on this. My asus Eee PC has "lost" it's connection to the atheros AR/8121/AR8113/AR8114P network adaptor.

I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers, tried reboot, tried creating a new connection. Computer says the device is working fine but no internet still and the unplugged error persists.

Is it simply that I need a new card?

Please help the ASUS is dangerously close to a window.......................

A:Network cable unplugged

What errors come up? Also, this is a wireless connection right?
Relevancy 25.37%

Well hello a few days ago I stumbled on my own feet and my laptop slipped out of my hands breaking the hinges until I will get LCD short cable circuit new parts I decided to still use it today while watching a movie the lid curved back a little leaving me with a white screen adjusting the lid back fixed the problem although it happened everal more times with either white or blavk screen later forgetting the hinge issue I laid it down on the table when it seemed to crash and shut itself down after turning it on again I saw a flash where the lcd cable goes and smelled LCD cable short circuit something burning now the screen is black when turned on the vent starts in about seconds and after - seconds it shuts down again the cable also LCD cable short circuit obviously looks burnt so the questions are can I fix the cable would replacing it help could the short circuit have damaged other hardware is it even a cable issue that makes the shutdowns appear I have a dell latitude e and I would love the one helping me out till I die nbsp

A:LCD cable short circuit

Have you got an external monitor/tv to plug it into to test?
Relevancy 19.78%

Connect vista to wireless home network

how can I connect a vista laptop to existing wireless home network with other 3 xp machines.

I followed googled info but keep chasing my tail as all effords end trying to make an internet connection.

My router is Negear wired & wireless capable in which 2 PCs are wired & an Acer netbook wireless connected, all 3 XP machines.

Hewlett-Packard Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
160gb HD, 3GB Ram
32 operating system

A:Connect Vista laptop to XP wireless home network

How to connect to a wireless network in Windows Vista.

Come back if you have problems.
Relevancy 25.8%

Still I am using Cat5e Plenum 350MHZ in my office ....
Can you suggest me which cable is best for high networking system???

A:What is the best cable for networking?

Cat6 is a better cable than Cat5/Cat5e.
Relevancy 25.8%

I have absolutely no idea about it...can anyone please tell me what it is (in brief) and also will it improve my graphic visuals in my monitor??

A:What is an HDMI cable and do I need one?

HDMI stands for high definition media interface, basically it's a 2 in one cable that carries the display signal as well as a sound signal. If you use a HDMI cable to connect your laptop to your tv for example, you'll be able to use the TV as another monitor, and you'll also be able to play music through your tv speakers.
With computer monitors, unless they have built in speakers that you plan to use, there's no real advantage of using a HDMI cable to connect from your computer, a standard DVI or VGA connection is just as good (Though go with DVI (White) over VGA (Blue) if possible there)
Relevancy 25.37%

I got the Western Digital Passport and it's cable is so short that when I plug it into my computer it can't properly reach the desk. What kind of cable is this and where can I buy a longer one?

A:What kind of cable does the WD Passport 1TB use?

USB 2.0 or better still USB 3.0, it says on your link - Western Digital Passport
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi all
I have a small home network with 3 computers and 1 network printer with a BT Home Hub 2 router.
Computer 1 is PC with Vista home premium sp2 connected by Ethernet.
Computer 2 is PC with XP sp3 connected by Ethernet.
Computer 3 is laptop with Ubuntu 12.04 connected by wireless.

I can see and access everything from C1 (Vista).
I can see but cannot access C1 (Vista) from the other 2. I cannot ping Vista from either of the other 2 and have tried to allow pinging by setting various ICMP settings for this to no avail.

On C1 (Vista) I have Windows Firewall on
Vista settings for Network are:
Private Network
Network Discoveryn
File Sharingn
Public folder sharingn
Printer sharingn
Password protected sharingff
Media sharingff

I am pulling my hair out!

A:Vista not accessible on home workgroup

Ping only tells you that the adapter ALLOWS ping and the system is up; no mapping or access is implied.

ALL systems must be on the same WORKGROUP name,
ports 137,138,139,445 must be open

the XP machine needs the LLPD protocol and library installed
Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder (KB922120)

Vista --> Linux
see this story

Linux -->Vista is an Samba config issue
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello I m new to this forum and I don t know a ton about computer hardware but I m in desperate need of some computer advice so I ll try my best to explain I have an Asus UL VT I bought the computer years ago and it worked fine up until about one month ago Basically I get one vertical strip of distortion and video Bad card graphics cable? or fuzz on a particular spot of my screen See the picture below However if I move my screen back and forth the distortion will flicker and eventually if I get it just right my screen will go back to Bad graphics card or video cable? normal I can also press on the bottom most left Bad graphics card or video cable? side of my lcd frame and the distortion will go away until I release it Once the fuzz transitioned to an all white screen and once into a grayish I think but could have been dark blue screen Both times everything disappeared and I had to reboot after which it was fine I hooked my computer up to my tv via hdmi and although the tv moniter did not show the strip of fuzz that was actually on my computer s lcd it did jump a bit and there was a very slight horizontal line going through the middle when it jumped I m not sure if my graphics card is going or if my video cable is bad or if the problem is something else entirely I would love any advice http www facebook com photo php f amp type amp theater nbsp

A:Bad graphics card or video cable?

It could be either of those. Try swapping out the video cable, First if possible.
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi I got from a friend his old computer that according to him it wasn t working anymore The MB its a Gigabyte GA- I p-G I got it running My idea for the computer is to use it as a small media server to stream to my tv s Now HDD motherboard IDE regarding about Home SATA question server & here comes the Home server question about motherboard regarding IDE & SATA HDD question this motherboard has Home server question about motherboard regarding IDE & SATA HDD IDE ports and SATA ports Can I use ALL of the ports I want to get it fill with HD s to save all my media thats why I am asking Will it work with all the ports full I dont want to spend money in a entire new computer right now I dont know if it can work with all IDE used plus adding SATA HD I want it to end like this IDE GB HD MASTER DVD DVD-RW SLAVE IDE GB MASTER GB SLAVE SATA TB SATA TB I am Home server question about motherboard regarding IDE & SATA HDD just missing right now the sata HDD s and plan on buying them but I want to be sure I have the manual but it doesn t say anything about conflicts or something do you guys know anything about it Here is the link for the MB specs and manual http www gigabyte com products product-page aspx pid sp nbsp

A:Home server question about motherboard regarding IDE & SATA HDD

I recall comments re mixed IDE + SATA but don't recall the specific reference.

What should work is:

bootable system on one device (eg IDE)
storage device(s) shared (eg SATA)
Relevancy 20.21%

A friend of mine is taking a class & she needs to know how to disable an XP wireless laptop? Can she do such with the Task Manager?
Evidently the other students will have to fix it once they're disabled.
If I get more info from her, I'll add it. TIA.

A:Quick question about XP Home laptop

Disable the laptop???
Or disable the wireless?
For the later, one easy approach is in the Control Panel... Network Settings...
you can disable your Lan, Wireless, Firewire, all right there.

Another approach is to Right Click on My Computer,
Select Properties, the select the Hardware Tab, find the Wireless Network adapter and disable it there.

There are other things that could be done, but I am hesitant to mention them, lest this is really in the realm of a malicious prank. There are reasons to sometimes disable the wireless as I have mentioned above... but not usually by other methods.
Relevancy 25.37%

I went to plug my Hdmi cable into the motherboards (asrock z77 1155) Hdmi port and it would not fit. There is nthing bent either on the cord or the port. The port looks good nothing broken looking about it at all.

I thought Hdmi cables were all the same size. Is it possible that the port was just made wrong? or is there a slightly smaller Hdmi chord? cause it wasn't off by a big scale it was just enough that it would not go in.

A:HDMI cable wouldn't fit

Sounds like you have a Display Port - looks just like HDMI but not compatible. Check your mobo documentation.
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi guys I could use anyone's help. The problem is with my desktop pc. I connected it to the modem using a new ethernet cable but I can't access the net. To test the cable, I plugged it to another pc and I got no problem connecting to the net. When I borrowed another cable from a friend and tried it on my desktop, it connected directly to the net. Which means that there is no problem with either the cable that I bought and the NIC of my pc.

The message that I get when I use the cable that I bought on my pc is "Unidentified Network". Can anybody help me out with this?

A:No Internet connection even if cable and NIC is working fine

You should tell Windows firewall that's your new home network. I don't see why a new cable would make your computer think that your old internet connection was something new.
Relevancy 24.94%

I'm very familiar with dial-up since I spent my first 10 years on it & loved it.
I then graduated to wi fi/DSL.
Ok, my question is why do I hear so much bad mouthing about Satellite being so slow? How can it be so slow when the signal travels thru air?
I can understand DSL, Dial-up & cable being slow because it travels thru wire, but not satellite.TIA

A:A question about DSL, dial-up, cable & satellite

Satelite broadband has high latency due to the signal being bounced from earth to space and back again. ( around 22 miles). Other conditions such as weather and line of sight can also affect performance.

Edit : 22 thousand is correct
Relevancy 25.37%

Can a loose HD SATA cable cause the HD, and Windows to boot/load/run slow?

I thought I heard that a loose SATA cable can make the HD not "spin up" on boot, thus giving you a "no boot disk" error?

A slow spinning hard drive would also affect the accessing of programs as well?

What other problems can a loose SATA cable create?

A:SATA cable problem?

SATA cables have to be firmly in place or you are going to have issues many of which you have listed. A SATA cable can be bad in itself causing a system to report issues with your hard drive when the hard drive is not the issue.

I just helped someone recently in the BSOD forum who was having all kinds of issues with his hard drive including Blue Screens of Death. I had him swap out his SATA cable and the issues ceased.
Relevancy 24.51%

hi all got a post further down explaining lcd cable was no good so got another plugged it all on but now nothing coming on is there any button or anything i can do or is it another bad cable

A:Compaq Presario CQ61 screen LCD cable change but not working

hi all as in previous tpost further down i explained screen comes on fully when little movement of lcd cable just where it plugs to mother board so got another wire but does same thing so now know it wasnt wire so thinking what inverter or lcd backlight please help as i do not want to buy 1 then its the other is the only way finding out by buying part and testing. thanks in advance
Relevancy 25.8%

I have been working on a custom build, and the next step is cable sleeving. I want to single cable sleeve my entire PSU, which is the Antec CP-850. I have gone through Lutr0's guide on, but he neglected to mention how much sleeving I would actually need. I guessing it will be in the 150-200' range just based on how much I will need for the 2' 24pin (that's 48' right there) primary mobo cable, then I have everything else. To sleeve, I will work on getting a heat gun, straight edge clippers, all the pin removal tools. Now to the point, are there any experienced sleevers here that have any reccomendations to make it a bit easier. I have looked at the professional sleevers online an they all charge $350-$400, and I feel like it's cheating, but what ever.

Any help is appreciated,

A:Cable sleeving

Would be easier if your PSU was modular... then you could just buy some sleeved cables. Not sure it's worth the time/effort/money to sleeve your one.
Relevancy 19.78%

My cable company recently upgraded its modems oh the fun not There are computers Inspiron home connect to Dell 2200 network won't in my home one which is connected directly Dell Inspiron 2200 won't connect to home network to the modem and on wireless connections The other wireless computer is maintaining an Internet connection without any problems mine isn t When it tries to automatically sign on to Dell Inspiron 2200 won't connect to home network the network Dell Inspiron 2200 won't connect to home network the wireless connection gets as far as quot Acquiring network address quot then stops However it will successfully connect to another network that is within range so I m pretty sure my wireless adapter isn t bad Resetting the modem isn t producing any results Mine is a Dell Inspiron running Windows XP SP I m using the wireless adapter that came installed with the computer my anti-virus Norton is up to date and Windows Firewall is turned on According to the cable company my OS is supposed to be compatible with the new modem The modem is an Arris Telephony Gateway Any ideas on possible causes and solutions nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron 2200 won't connect to home network

Remove Norton and install free Microsoft Security Essentials:

See if you can restore the wireless connection after doing this... The laptop may be more responsive too
Relevancy 24.94%

My neighborhood just got wired for fiber optic so I signed up for the 10mb service. It is noticeably slower than my 10mb cable. I ran some tests on and with cable Im getting 29mbs upload and 6mbs downstream but with the fiber optic I only average 6.7 up and less than 1 down, sometimes the test wont complete. The service guy came out yesterday and said all my phone lines are fine. This is my first time setting up DSL but all the modem settings seem right. Luckily I havent cancelled the cable yet.

A:Fiber optic DSL slower than cable??

There might be some "breaking in" period, see if it's still the same speed after 10 days or so.
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a graphics card that requires a 6 pin PCI-E cable (two actually, but I only have one). Does anyone know where I can purchase one of these cables? I have a modular powersupply.

A:6-pin to 6-pin PCI-E power cable

What powersupply do you have? Brand, model, rating?
Relevancy 25.37%

I have a S-video cable with 4 female ports on other side..
I know that it is used to connect TV to PC .
But i have got a new set top box for my TV that box only have audio and video composite cables to connect/...
so i was wondering if i could connect it to my PC then i could play and record TV on my connecting composite cables to my S-video cable's female ports.
give me an idea if i could connect it or not....and why if not?

A:Use of my 4 female pin S-video cable

Very unlikely that you can do that right now. Mainly because its doubtful you have a card that can take video input. Then also, because if your box doesn't have s-video, you can't use that cable.

Traditionally you'd need a TV tuner card, but since you are going from a TV box to a computer, you don't really need the tuner part, you just need something that can handle the input. If you have a desktop PC you can get a PCI card. If you don't, or just want it more portable there are several USB devices that will work. This should get you pointed in the right direction: Capture Devices
Relevancy 20.21%

I moved everything into a server case. The case has a hot plug box for 4 hard drives and since there is no other place I can put them I moved my hard drives in there. I also moved one of my spare drives there so I can use it to store backups. My intention was to plug the drive in, make a backup and remove it. Without having to restart the machine. However once I moved it in there I realized that windows does not see it as removable drive but as normal drive. and there is no "Safely remove your hardware" icon in the tray. Now I am wondering whether it would be safe for me just to remove the drive straight out or do I have to restart it every time?

A:Hotplug in Win7 Home Premium

Was that hard drive that you intend to use just simply for your "back up's", is that hard drive an I.D.E. or SATA or USB?

Because if it's an older styled I.D.E., you will never get that "safely remove hardware" message. Even if the drive is a more modern SATA one, just like with an I.D.E. you will not get that "safe to remove hardware" message as well. But if your drive is a USB styled one, your Operating System should have picked up on what it was, how it was being connected and more importantly, what kind off hook up the device is using. Almost every Operating System I've ever put my hands on, know when something is a USB device, and will almost always display that "safe to remove hardware" message, both by way of ((right clicking)) the device icon itself by way of Windows Explorer, or going for the little icon in the lower right hand corner on your Windows taskbar.

So if it's not a USB device, I'm afraid to properly remove and install the drive, your going to have to power down the computer, each and every time.....sorry!
Relevancy 19.78%

I have an Iomega Home Network Harddrive, but the harddrive itself failed. I purchased a new harddrive, and replaced the old harddrive, but I can't get it to work, (the Iomega Home Storage Manager is no longer detecting it, it says 'No devices found.')

I am guessing that I am missing firmware or some software or something, but I'm not sure how to go around fixing this issue, because as far as i know, the firmware needs to be upgraded through the manager, which is not detecting the drive..

A:Iomega Home Network Drive undetected

You might try to format the new drive on another computer before the Iomega Home Storage Manager can detect it
Relevancy 25.37%

I have cable modem Surfboard SB3100 (Motorloa). Now a days i am not getting internet with this modem.Now also i can able to access its setting page ( & power,receive,online & activity lights working too. ISP people saying modem is fault . HOw can i know its faulty or not?

A:Doubts about cable modem

There are two interface; the pc side that you can access (which apprently is functional)
and the WAN/ISP side that you can not access.

If you are having problems and the ISP says it is the modem, then what causes you to question? Do you have to pay for the device?
Relevancy 20.21%

Is there a way to hook up a computer to a home network without having that computer connected to the Internet. So the way my brother wants it setup is that his laptop has access to the internet (wirelessly). He wants to be able to share files between his laptop and desktop...but doesn't want his desktop to be connected to the internet. Is this possible?

A:Computer on home network

Configure your desktop a static ip address and leave default gateway blank.
Relevancy 18.92%

I just received a Dell Inspiron 1420 and it did not have an OS on it. I installed Windows Vista Home Premium which was the original OS on the laptop. Everythng seems to be working fine however the touchpad freezes. The buttons work fine.

I've tried different drivers and nothing. Please help me.

A:Dell Inspiron 1420 touchpad acting erratic after reinstalling Vista Home Premium

did you run Windows Update?
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello all,

Please feel free to comment on this hardware list.
Use : as above in title
No: O/C,SLI,Crossfire,movie downloads,on line games, etc.
Have: 1440x900 flat screen,mouse,keyboard,speakers
Budget;< $600

Thanks in advance for your kind input.

ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM H61 DDR3 LGA1155 mATX PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 PCI VGA DVI B3 Motherboard

Intel Pentium Dual Core G620 Processor LGA1155 2.6GHZ 3MB Retail Box

Powercolor Radeon HD 6770 850MHZ 1GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI VGA PCI-E Video Card

Kingston 4GB Kit 2X2GB 1333MHz DDR3 240PIN DIMM Unbuffered CL9 1.5V Memory Kit

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM 3.5IN SATA Internal Hard Drive OEM

LG GH22NS70 Super Multi 22X SATA DVD Writer Black OEM

Coolermaster Elite 370 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS

Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CXV2 430W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan

A:Budget new build for home/office/casual gaming

Nice build

The Radeon HD 6770 has a requirement of "450 Watt or greater power supply"
Relevancy 40.85%

I kicked what? it, gs 7600 now finally got almost half a decade outta my Nvidia gs mb card and finally I boot my system to long short beep post error I m finally willing to give in and get a replacement MSI NEO-F P Intel S Motherboard Intel Pentium GHz HT MB GB 7600 gs finally kicked it, now what? PC - MHz DDR RAM planning on adding - gb W Antec Power supply I live in the US I only game - and earlier Actually I m pretty retro though I d like to maybe play say Oblivion for example on descent settings nvm the ram Also HD video playback is fairly Important as well The highest resolution I would be running is with maybe a second monitor or television running lower Prefer also a quiet card or at least not a super noisy one I ve spent most the day scouring pricewatch and amazon only to achieve a headache From what I ve seen I think I can get a card for - but there are so many holiday specials I can t decide nbsp

A:7600 gs finally kicked it, now what?

If your looking for a decent and cheap video card i prefer you to buy the ATI HD 5450, around 40 bucks but upgrade your PSU. I also game 2008 and lower.
Relevancy 24.94%

On my PC there are two DVI outputs, I have been using a DVI cable with my LCD monitor in 1920x1080 without problems. I bought a DVI to HDMI cable (DVI on computer, HDMI in monitor) but the whole screen doesn't show, there is a bit missing from each side and the top and bottom.

I am using windows 7, its like my computer is displaying 1920x1080 but the monitor shows a resolution slightly lower. I have a nvidia 460SE, in the nvidia CP when I am connected through my DVI-HDMI cable, all the selectable screen resolutions disappear leaving me with no selection.

How can I get full 1080p resolution?

Any help appreciated.

A:Why doesn't my new DVI to HDMI cable show my whole screen?

what is the specified refresh rate of your monitor @ 1080, and what refresh rate are you set at now?

and this is a DVI to HDMI cable, and not an adapter?
Relevancy 24.51%

Dell Vostro laptop running XP with a Realtek network card connected to a peer to peer network (7 pcs) with a Netgear router providing internet . The laptop has 3 userids defined (one for the main user and two others that are used less than once a year). For some reason I can only enable the wired network connection from one of the IDs (and not the one for the main user). The other two show cable unplugged when try to enable the connection. (The one that does work shows cable unplugged momentarily on enable but then enables with a double click). Upgraded to latest Realtek driver but same result. Also if swap cable same result so it looks like a software issue. All 3 IDs work fine on wireless, but as location is some way from router wireless signal is low so this is not an ideal workaround. Any ideas?
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi All I have a got a very simple query for the experts here as I am not much into networking field My requirement - Personal web server - some laptops PC I have a router modem that terminates my internet connection and my webserver is connected to it and I network up home a Setting want to use my PCs but don t want to directly connect them to the router ports as there are only ports So I am planning to use a port switch for a LAN among my PCs i e I want to connect the switch to the router Setting up a home network and want to connect all the PCs to the switch I am planning to use a gigabit switch so that my lan network is fast and would use Cat cables or would cat e would be ok for me I reuire good transfer rate among the PCs I just want to know in simple steps what all key configuration I would have to do to setup such a network or if there are any tutorial or site for details about this would be good for me Any suggestions would be gr as I have been trying to get some info about this on net and found this forum useful Cheers Hungry Mind nbsp

A:Setting up a home network

trival buddy.

modem=====router-----Web Server
| | | |
(x) PC systems

To ensure all PCs see the webserver at the same address (regardless of the boot sequence),
give the webserver a static IP address.
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi all!
I need advice on the easiest setup for our new home in Fla.
Cable company in Comcast and phone is AT&T.

We will have cable for the TV's and use the phone line for a DSL connection, because it's alot cheaper.

Keep in mind this is a weekend vacation home.

I currently have a laptop, but I will be purchasing a I-Pad because we only really use the web for casual browsing, downloading boarding passes for airlines and making restuarant and golf reservations.

I would like to do wi-fi. I am a total noob at this wi-fi stuff. I'd like to be able to use the I-pad anywhere in/outside the house rather than hard wiring it, like my current computer.

So....what do you all suggest?
thanks in advance for any help!!!

A:Setting up for a new home..

Your phone company can help you with this... You need a Wireless DSL router, that's all, and follow the setup instructions
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a belkin home network and all the computers in my house can connect except mine, so it isn't a network issue. When I log onto my laptop, it says no networks are available so I can't even attempt to connect. Can someone please help me and tell me what to do? Thanks.

A:I can't connect to my home network while other computers can

Do you have the correct wireless drivers for your laptop?
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi, I have a problem networking 2 computers via a crossover cable connection both running Windows 7. I know it is not a hardware problem as I can network the same computers from different drives running XP. When I network via XP I manually assign IP numbers on TCP/IP to avoid conflicts and I can then share folders and internet connection. On Windows 7, I have tried both automatically assigning and manually assigning IPv4 but cannot either share folders nor share internet connection. Any ideas?

A:Windows 7 crossover cable networking problem

Sharing folders and internet connections are two completely different things.

Other than the need to have compatible IP settings, you need to check the workgroup name, enable file and print sharing, firewall settings. As a test, try to ping one computer from the other. If that does not work I would look at the firewall on the Windows 7 machine. disable it if needed just to see if that is what it is. Once you can ping you can rule out any connectivity problems and look at Windows settings.
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi everyone!
I have NVIDIA 9500GT VGA card which have a DVI-I port and my monitor has DVI-D port, so which DVI cable should I use between these two ports? Is there any DIV-I to DVI-D cable available or can I just use DVI-D to DVI-D cable???

A:Which DVI cable should I use?

DVI-I is compatible with either DVI-D or DVI-A, since your monitor has a DVI-D port both a DVI-D or DVI-I cable will work. The other conisderation is whether or not your monitor requires a dual link connection which would require a dual link DVI cable.

What is the difference between DVI-I and DVI-D?
Relevancy 24.94%

Ok, so I'm buying a DVD/CD burner and HDD, both OEM, and I'm wondering whether I need to buy additional cables to hook them up to my motherboard. My PSU comes with 6 SATA cables, but are these only used to provide power to the HDD and DVD/CD burner? Do I also need additional SATA cables to connect the drives to my motherboard? Any information is appreciated.

A:HDD and optical drive cable question

You should check with the supplier to see if the new hardware will be supplied with a SATA cable which you will need to connect them to the motherboard.

Sata cables are for data transfer not for power. You should have spare cables coming from the PSU for the power connections or you will have to get a couple of 'Y' splitters to provide the connections.
Relevancy 19.78%

My acer laptop has gone really slow for some reason (Haven't downloaded anything), when i go to the login screen (the one with guest and other profiles) the guest one works fine but when i login to the main profile it takes about a minute to load.

Any one had any problems like this?

A:Logging in taking forever at the home screen?

My acer is about a year old and goes SO slow on that same screen. I on the other hand have downloaded alot. Not like a very large amount but a decent amount none the less. Sometimes it will take me ten minutes on that screen.
Relevancy 24.94%

Does anyone know of a right angled 4 power molex power cable because i need it to plug in my Gigabyte X58-UD9 motherboard for extra power to handle crossfire graphics but its on the side right against the power supply and the gap is too small to plug in a normal molex cable

A:Need a right-angled 4 power molex cable

Do you know how I know you didn't try google with your topic?
Relevancy 19.78%

I want to expand my wireless connectivity at home so that my upstairs of the house and the living room downstairs have a good connectivity to the internet So my cable modem comes with the wireless N router build in Motorola SBG Lets call the cablemodem router as R with IP address of My second router which is a cisco linksysWRT N as R with ip Both are wireless wired router When I connect via routers at two Connecting not home. working Printer R I can browse the internet and go out of the world When I connect via R I can browse the internet and go out of the world I have my printer connected to a print server with and IP When I connect to R I am able to print to the printer When I am connected to R I Connecting two routers at home. Printer not working am not able to print to the printer nor ping R Similarly if I am on R I can ping R IP address BUT if I am on R I CANNOT PING R IP address If I cannot use the printer for R that defeats my purpose of having another router since it cannot communicate from one router to another router It looks to me like a one way traffic R ----XXX ---- gt R R -------------- gt R ---------------- gt R How do I get both router to talk to each other so no matter which router I connect to I can communicate with each other Please help nbsp

A:Connecting two routers at home. Printer not working

Try assigning to R2 and to R1.
Relevancy 24.51%

I need modem firewall -> SonicWall switch router Cable -> a and some assistance with our network at the office We recently switched from having our data and voice being managed through a T and a phone server on site to having a cable modem and a virtual PBX Previous set up was T Line - gt Box from T provided - gt Cable modem -> switch -> router and a SonicWall firewall one line to the phone server and a second line to a SonicWall Cable modem -> switch -> router and a SonicWall firewall Firewall which then went to a couple of dell switches We have switched to a cable modem with static IP s and a Cable modem -> switch -> router and a SonicWall firewall virtual PBX Tech support for the PBX company suggested we configure our net work as follows --- gt Router--- gt Switch that connects to all phones Cable Mode -- gt Unmanaged switch-- --- gt SonicWall-- gt Switch that connects to computers I configured the router for the phones and that works with no problems But when I configure the SonicWall with the information provided by our cable modem provider it worked but the SonicWall said it needed to restart after configuration so I clicked restart Then the the internet connection wouldn t work and I couldn t get back into the SonicWall After numerous attempts at powering down the SonicWall and switch I finally was able to access it again and then the connection disappeared and finally I got access back again and reset everything to how it was on the T line The WAN setting on the SonicWall are as follows SonicWALL WAN IP NAT Public Address I set this to an IP address in the range provided and made sure it was different than the one in use by the router for the phones WAN Subnet Mask I set this to the subnet our provider sent listed WAN Gateway Router Address I set this to the Gateway address our provider listed DNS Server amp Set to what our provider sent over There is also an option for LAN settings SonicWALL LAN IP Address I left this as it was LAN Subnet Mask I set this to the subnet mask our provider listed From reading the setup guide for the SonicWall everything seems to be correct but then I am not able to access it nor do we have an internet connection The phones still work so there is connectivity to the modem I also tried connecting directly to the SonicWall rather than through a switch with no success Reseting seems to eventually work but I am not sure if that worked or if it was something else I am not sure what additional information would be needed so if you need something else please let me know nbsp
Relevancy 25.37%

i've been given a PC running windows XP.
i've connected it all up and its telling me the network cable is unplugged, when i test the ethernet adapter it says it's working.
I'm running a wireless connection to a laptop so know the modem is working.
I don't know what else to try.

A:LAN connection-cable unplugged

Get into the Control Panel, "System", "Device Manager" and look for any yellow exclamation marks. Tell us what you find. If you see any yellow marks, right-click on that line and uninstall the device, then restart the PC. If a suitable driver is not found and installed, the network device might be bad especially if the network device is part of the motherboard. You can always install a USB or PCI network adapter
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi everyone!

I'm back here after quite some time and need suggestions on a new PC build for a friend.

The main tasks that the system will be used for are:

1. Surfing the internet
2. Working on Microsoft Office / Open Office
3. Watching movies / listening to music

There will be no gaming on the system.

Would be nice if the price could be kept around US$500 including a monitor and other peripherals.

A:Advice for building inexpensive home PC

Have you considered the Budget Box in the TechSpot PC Buying Guide? It only runs up to $545. I'd throw the link into the post in case you're lazy like me, but I don't have 5 posts yet.
Relevancy 17.63%

I have a wireless router for my home desktop computer and a wireless capable laptop computer. I can access the laptop from my desktop and add or change files on it. I can see the files on my desktop from my laptop, but I can't open or change them. How do I "allow" access from my laptop to my desktop?

A:Allowing access to home computer from remote computer

first, UNSHARE whatever is currently being shared on the desktop.

Now find the folder(s) you wish to share, start the sharing setup and be sure to [x]
allow changes / modifications.
Relevancy 25.37%

I recently bought a hdmi-dvi cable to connect my xbox360 to my monitor. I have a cheep set of speakers, not ideal but the best I have, and I decided to try and connect them to the monitor for sound. Nothing happened. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem. Thanks.

A:No audio when using HD-DVI cable for Xbox

Both ends will have to be native HDMI for sound to transmit. DVI doesn't carry sound.
Relevancy 25.8%

My laptop recently just stopped showing anything on the screen, its just black. The computer still starts and works fine with an external monitor. So my question is how do I know what to replace the cable or the LCD? I did some research online and it seems if it were the cable you could tap/bend/turn screen and you'd get something to display even for a moment but nothing happens, so is it safe to say its the LCD itself? Any info appreciated, thank you. (HP Pavilion DV4 2045dx BTW)

A:LCD or cable failure?

Take a flash light and shine it on the LCD screen. If you can see a faint image, the LCD back light has failed. If you see no image, the LCD inverter may be bad. It is a separate piece. The inverter doesn't fail that often though. You can change the back light but it is a pain. Whole LCD panels including the back light can be purchased. I get mine from EBay, most of the time for $150 and under. You can check the cable when you take the top apart. Unless the laptop has been abused, the cable(s) are usually okay
Relevancy 24.94%

In the last couple of days I can only connect to the internet if I hook up my router to the PC via a RJ45 cable.

Before this I would just turn th PC on and it would connect no problem. Now I get all lights on exccept the @ light. As soon as I connect the RJ45, it connects within seconds. I have tried to save the settings through the router page on Internet Explorer. It is quite an old Phillips router, I am wondering if it has just come to its natural end!

I am using Windows 7 32 bit.

A:Router will only connect via RJ45 cable

Have you checked your wireless adapter? It could have failed instead.
Relevancy 24.94%

The title says it all Hopefully placed in the correct thread quot Out in the bush quot the connection to the world wide web is very slim Thus using a smartphone as a modem is the only option available for the I do a USB(cable)-modem? as 5230 Nokia How use me at this time Thus I want to connect to the WWW using a Nokia Details The PC is a laptop Toshiba Satellite C D and the smartphone is a Nokia The OS is a legitimate How do I use the Nokia 5230 as a USB(cable)-modem? Windows Home P -bit On the Nokia website How do I use the Nokia 5230 as a USB(cable)-modem? it says that the phone can act as a modem using the USB-cable just like using the bluetooth-to-modem function on the iPhone But I ve not successfully tracked down any instructions on how to do so Solution I need a step-by-step instruction describing how to connect to WWW using the phone described above The instructions does absolutely not need to be beginners-grade I m accustomed to computers but not with phone-to-modem solutions I think I might need some drivers aswell Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:How do I use the Nokia 5230 as a USB(cable)-modem?

The instructions are in the Cell Phone User's Guide and will be specific to the make/model.

But the concept is simple enough:
connect the cellphone to the PC with the USB cable
you should first make sure you can access the phone from the PC,
by using something like a contack sync program.
The Nokia 5230 should support the Nokia PC Suite which is downloadable for free.
then on the cellphone, you Make A Connection
Relevancy 17.2%

I need real help I had cable internet mbs installed last September in my one bedroom apartment Before that I was connecting to a spotty mbs network that was open next door with home network any to but Unable to can connect to other network their permission I was able to obtain fast and efficient internet access for about or months and then it became intermittent For the past months I have been unable to connect through my home cable modem router at all I have been to the cable company and they have tested the cable modem router and Unable to connect to home network but can to any other network the Unable to connect to home network but can to any other network signal which comes into the router and out at fast speeds I have been to the place where I bought my laptop purchased at Staples last summer Others can connect though my wifi but I cannot It connects but gives me a DNS error It doesn t matter whether I am hard wired or on wifi I am running Win Home Premium bit on a compaq CQ - NR Notebook with a Vision AMD Athlon II P Dual-Core processor ghz with GB ram GB usable It contains an Atheros AR b g n WiFi adapter Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Realtek High Definition Audio Built in pointing device mouse pad with a wireless mouse connected through USB port hard drive Hitachi HTS A A SATA Disk Device Apparently for some unknown reason my computer networking modules can connect to but won t or can t talk to the cable modem router supplied by my ISP Charter Communications but can access the internet though any other wifi service or hot spot without a problem - INCLUDING the very same ISP through other wifi spots in town They have tested and retested the cable modem router and have told me that without a doubt there is nothing wrong with the device even though normally I thought anyway a DNS error like this would be a server side error Please someone help me I am paying for this internet service and would love to use it If you require anymore information please ask and I will provide it for you I am sorry if this was covered in another post I searched and searched and was unable to find a post that adequately came close to the problem that I described above Sorry if I am so wordy HELP Regards to All William nbsp

A:Unable to connect to home network but can to any other network

Connect the system to your network and then
please get a command prompt (Start->RUN->CMD) and enter ipconfig /all >myTcp.txt
follow-up with the attachment myTcp.txt which will be in the directory shown in the CMD prompt window.