Windows Support Forum

Windows XP "Private User" Problem. Cant access VERY IMPORTANT FILES. NEED HELP ASAP

Q: Windows XP "Private User" Problem. Cant access VERY IMPORTANT FILES. NEED HELP ASAP

Hey peoples, i've just reinstalled windows (mylast installed killed itself).
I backed up my documents and settings folder (dads important business stuff in there). After installing this fresh copy of windows. I realised that dad had made the acount private.
OUCH! I'm in trouble!!!!
Theres a lot of stuf fin there we really need (most of its backed up though, thank god).
It wont let me access it. Anyone know how to get in? is it even possible!?

I really need this to work guys, plz help!

Thanks!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows XP "Private User" Problem. Cant access VERY IMPORTANT FILES. NEED HELP ASAP

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows XP "Private User" Problem. Cant access VERY IMPORTANT FILES. NEED HELP ASAP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-private-user-problem-cant-access-very-important-files-need-help-asap.249194/
Relevancy 81.84%

Hey all,

I was trying to make the free space in one of my hard drives into a second partition using PartitionMagic. Part-way through, it errored and then XP wouldn't boot up anymore. I reinstalled XP to a new hard drive and found that I could still access the files on the problemed hard drive, however, I can't access the "My Documents" folder under "Documents and Settings". I believe it has something to do with the "Make these files private" option that I selected originally when I was setting up the user accounts.

A repair install of XP on that drive won't work for some reason. Is there a way I can circumvent the Windows protection and retreive the files stored in "My Documents" and the "Desktop" on the old drive?

Thanks!

A:Windows XP "Private Files" Problem

See this KB to Take ownershipof the files/folders.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-private-files-problem-105521.html
Relevancy 98.47%

The control panel opens fine. I can access all items in the control panel
except "Network and sharing center" and the "User accounts" (I can't access this sections via the taskbar either).

What happens when I open one of the two items is I get a popup saying the
following; WINDOWS EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING.

I used to be able to access these items. And one day, I just coulodn't anymore...

Anyone knows how to solve this? Thanks.

I'm using Vista Ultimate x64

A:Can't access "Network and Sharing Center" nor "User Accounts"

Hello Newbie,

See if running a sfc /scannow can find and fix bad system files that may be responsible for this.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/187690-cant-access-network-sharing-center-nor-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Srry i know this post is a bit old but i recently just got this problem i can access the internet fine but i cant access my network settings, user settings, or see the the properties of my pc. i tried running your solution Brink but the scannow showed

"Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.
C:\Windows\system32>"

i then ran sfc /verifyonly but got the same answer.

i then ran findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt. and the txt file came up blank.

idk wat to do rite now i am at my witts end.

A:Can't access "Network and Sharing Center" nor "User Accounts"

Hello Jayrrus, and welcome to Vista Forums.

I would recommend that you use Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper to scan your system with at boot to help make sure that your system is malware free first.

Afterwards, you might see if you may be able to do a system restore at boot using a restore point dated before you had these issues to see if that may be able to fix them.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292657-cant-access-network-sharing-center-nor-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Hi
Every time i turn my laptop on. I get more then 30 pop up alerts stating

"helpctr.exe- Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\windows\system32\tanovio.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your instillation diskette"

A few pop up alerts accure prior to me signing in my password and while i am at the desktop location...

What does this mean? Where is the "instillation diskette" located at? How can i cure this problem?

Note: I have a HP pavilion Windows XP Notebook
Thanks!

A:Solved: Windows XP "Bad Image" Problem...Need help ASAP!

I suspect malware because (1) Google has never heard of "tanovio.dll", and (2) " instillation" is not the proper spelling for "installation".

One of the malware removal experts here can help you with this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-bad-image-problem-need-help-asap.817616/
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi Looking for insight advice re KB According to Infoworld it was quot Optional quot in May but I was not offered it then This KB3054476 "Important"/"Recommended"/"Optional" offered as week it was offered as quot Important quot and quot Recommended quot but only for one of my Win boxes I have read the MS KB article as well as THIS FORUM THREAD the latter of which includes a report of a BSOD due to this particular update However there isn't much out on the web about it And most of the discussion about it is overly technical for me And I am confused as to why it was previously offered as quot Optional quot but now is quot Important quot KB3054476 offered as "Important"/"Recommended"/"Optional" or quot Recommended quot I don't think I quot need quot it as I have no webcam on this box And I don't like KB3054476 offered as "Important"/"Recommended"/"Optional" to tempt fate by fixing things that are not broken So questions Is it safe to install Is it really necessary important Or would I be OK to hide it Thanks very much in advance

A:KB3054476 offered as "Important"/"Recommended"/"Optional"

The status of updates changes with circumstances.
If an update isn't relevant, it won't be offered at all.
If however it's relevant but the related software is not apparently in use, it may be 'optional' - and gravitate to 'Recommended' or 'Important' if the related software is in use.
It can also be promoted through the hierarchy by MS depending on feedback through WU and error-trapped feedback.

If you have (and use) a webcam, then it's probably best to install the update.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/372782-kb3054476-offered-important-recommended-optional.html
Relevancy 96.75%

I have a new Dell computer with windows xp operating system. My old computer was a gateway with windows xp also. The mother board on the gateway crashed and I could not find a replacement thus I purchased the new dell. I extracted the hard drive from the gateway and installed in an external drive case. All works well and I am able to retreve data from the gate way hard drive with one exception. While the hard drive was installed in the gateway I elected to make some of the folders private, ie right click on folder, click on sharing and security and clicking on private. This worked fine in the gateway but when I installed in external hard drive I am getting an "access denied" error message when trying to open with the Dell. How can this be fixed? Thanks

A:Solved: Error message "access denied" when attempting to open private folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

follow the instructions there

joan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-error-message-access-denied-when-attempting-to-open-private-folder.676263/
Relevancy 95.89%

Hi folks After headaches getting an XP installation running on a new motherboard I gave in and bought another hdd on which I reinstalled XP Home SP and fitted the original drive as a nd drive in the machine so all the original files are still accessible or so I thought Current problem is There are a user accounts on both the old and new installations and I had set mine to keep my files private while the others weren "private" 2nd on Solved: Access data hdd? t I can now copy the settings bookmarks etc etc for everyone else from the old drive to the new one but my own stuff is encrypted and inaccessible The user name and password are both exactly the same on the old and new hdd s but the system isn t running from the old hdd and so I can get at them even though I m using the same password Does anyone know a way to access these settings I had hundreds of bookmarks and hundreds of stored e-mails and I need some of them quite soon Thanks in anticipation Pal nbsp

Relevancy 95.89%

On this internet computer I ve got administrator accounts and one limited user account xp home The administrator accounts quot My Docs folder quot was set quot keep my files private quot Something KOed my OS I had a fresh copy of xp ready to go in a new HD clean install so I just plugged it in as the primary drive and then plugged the bad OS system drive in as the secondary The fresh xp install files my "keep administrator private" Recovery Disaster was the same XP as the corrupted one was on the same computer and the accounts and passwords were the same since changed so I just figured I could grab quot my docs quot off the old HD and copy and paste them to the new one wrong I got around this because I had about a one month old image of the corrupted C drive then made images of my docs before reinstalling the C drive from the month old image so as not to lose a month s worth of data Disaster Recovery administrator "keep my files private" my docs were Disaster Recovery administrator "keep my files private" on the C drive amp amp amp amp and would ve been deleted when I reinstalled the image back to the C drive and had to reinstall the image of the OS to the C drive on the corrupted HD This bothers me because if I didn t have an image of the C Disaster Recovery administrator "keep my files private" drive I would ve been SOL Is there a better way to protect quot my docs quot than quot keep my files private quot or a way to password protect the quot my docs quot folders in xp home instead of just making them private I should ve installed the xp pro or the pro on this internet computer instead of the other thx nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disaster-recovery-administrator-keep-my-files-private.566801/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi This is my first post I bought a PC from a website years ago Cube in a bit of a rush The website in retrospect was a bit dodgy and based on other reviews of the site I am lucky I got something for my money at all It was stated to have Windows on it - which turned out to be not true After spending my cash on a PC I then did not want to fork out for an OS as it did not have a default one so alas I used a copy of a friend s It worked fine initially but then I was greeted with the familiar message to many of This copy of windows is not genuine At first I thought I would just ignore it but eventually went down the route of getting a product key online This worked fine for a while but then required me to do it every couple of weeks NOW this has finally caught up with me and I cannot access my user accounts It comes up with an error message relating to user profiles being unavailable I have tried many things such as going on as a guest which works fine and doing a system clock back or system restore but when it asks for months Cannot of user "not windows genuine" after accounts access the administrator s password I get the same Cannot access user accounts after months of "not genuine" windows error relating to user accounts Ultimately I am looking for any way to restore the system so that I can access my user accounts as I now do not really want to buy Windows for the PC if the error still occurs Any help would be appreciated and just contact me for queries Thanks Isaac

A:Cannot access user accounts after months of "not genuine" windows

Hello Isaac,

You're just going to simply need to purchase a legal copy of Windows, and do a clean install an activate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/324445-cannot-access-user-accounts-after-months-not-genuine-windows.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hello I have two gb hard drives in my computer C and F The F drive seems to have a very bad problem files folders occasionally just disappear without a trace and with no apparent hard Files ones) "important" disappear from (only drive! way to recover them The worst part is the files that go seem to only be ones I've been recently using since I use my most Files (only "important" ones) disappear from hard drive! important files most often that means my important files and ONLY important ones get randomly deleted This has happened about times since I got the laptop Here is the worst part Just today I went to open a solution in Visual Studio The solution contained about projects minor ones and very large ones which I have been working on for several months When I went to open the solution the three minor projects were fine but the two large ones were completely gone folders and all files from the hard drive These are extremely important and it is critical that I recover them Does anyone know of any software which is good at recovering lost corrupted fragments of files on a hard drive Alternatively is there any software that literally allows you to do a string search on the raw bits of the hard drive If I can search for some text in the files perhaps I have a chance at recovering some data Also I need to know if it's possible to do a raw copy of an entire partition to another partition literally byte for byte not just existing files I have two gb partitions on the F drive and maybe if I can copy the one with the lost files to the other I will have a better chance of recovering since if the files get overwritten I'll still have them on the other partition Thanks in advance for ANY help with this as it is very urgent

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/files-only-important-ones-disappear-from-hard-drive-508632.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi all So I'm kind of stuck I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of quot loading files quot - gt quot Windows Boot Manager quot see How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows The Easy Way I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load I also end up at a OneKey Recovery as well unfortunately the laptop does not have initial backup or user backup Manager" -> files Boot ..." "Loading "OneKey" "Windows -> images I have a Windows CD for repairing purposes however I cannot load the BIOS UEFI to change "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" the boot order to load the optical drives first I have also tried to remove the CMOS battery to fix it did not work Also - Windows "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" Boot Manager Windows Setup EMS Enabled -- does not load properly leads to OneKey Recovery Safe Mode does not load properly Safe Mode with Networking does not load properly Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't load - tries to boot and load all files onto partition that is too small can't change partition Enable Boot Logging Enable Low-Resolution Video Debugging MOde Disable automatic restart on system failure Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Display Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver Start Windows Normally Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55670-loading-files-windows-boot-manager-onekey.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi I Issue No Invalid Are From Access Address" "There To Files"/"Attempt More ve hit a problem with Windows XP I ve looked around and I haven t been able to find anywhere which offers a "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue potential solution so I really hope somebody here can help This hit my computer without warning I switched it on this morning and it worked as normal I was using Google Chrome in order to browse websites that were free of spyware the Guardian at time of crash all of a sudden things started to freeze up I restarted the computer and now a lot "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue of programs are refusing to open - Microsoft Office among others states quot Error There Are No More Files quot whilst other programs such as Google Chrome and Internet Explorer state quot Attempt to Access From Invalid Address quot even when I am running them from their root folders As I ve stated I am running a Dell Latitude with Intel Core Duo T GHz M L Cache MHz Dual Core GB DDR - SDRAM DIMMS Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X and am obviously using Windows XP I have scanned my system with Avast Antivirus which didn t state that there were any viruses so I am stuck as to what exactly the problem is Thanks for reading I really hope that somebody can help nbsp

A:"There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/there-are-no-more-files-attempt-to-access-from-invalid-address-issue.759140/
Relevancy 94.6%

Hi I've looked all over the internet in attempt to find a solution to a problem that's just affected my computer and I haven't been More Are Access From Files"/"Attempt To Invalid No "There Issue Address" able to find anything that relates specifically to the problem I'm encountering This hit my computer without warning I switched it on this morning and it worked as normal all of a sudden things started to freeze up I restarted the computer and now a lot of programs are refusing to open - Microsoft Office among others states quot Error There Are No More Files quot whilst other programs such as Google Chrome and Internet Explorer state quot Attempt to Access From Invalid Address quot even when I am running them from their root folders I am running a Dell Latitude with Intel Core Duo T GHz M L Cache "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue MHz Dual Core GB DDR - "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue SDRAM DIMMS Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X and am obviously using "There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue Windows XP I have scanned my system with Avast Antivirus which didn't state that there were any viruses so I am stuck as to what exactly the problem is I'd really appreciate some help in figuring out what has happened thankyou so much for your time in reading this

A:"There Are No More Files"/"Attempt To Access From Invalid Address" Issue

I am having the same problem on the same exact hardware. i don't think it could be a hardware issue, but i could be wrong. i have tried repairing windows with no success. i'm thinking the only option is to reinstall windows completely.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/there-are-no-more-files-attempt-to-access-from-invalid-address-issue-302284.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Hello to all I'm new to this forum and obviously i'm not Missing can't access "user" folder, missing local drive files, sure if this is the right place for starting and posting this thread Since i'm pritty desperate i'm going to explain the best i can what is really happening and how it all started Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive since a few days ago i was noticing that a few files specifically mp files are missing from my music collection I managed to recover the missing ones and transfer the whole collection to a new drive without issues Today i've found that some recently downloaded files Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive including several mp 's where missing again from the new HDD I started to look around the internet abut the problem and what could be the reasons that causes my files to quot vanish quot from my HDD As i was reading i stoped at one thread in Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive other's site forums that related to some quot security quot and quot user privileges quot issues in Win I then tried to quot fix quot the problem but noticed that the files where still missing Next thing i tried was looking for the missing files in some AppData subfolder named something like quot virtual backup quot or something That was the last time i saw the quot user quot folder and the last time y accessed my local drive Turned out the folder just dissapeared from the screen after a short quot access denied quot dialog box error After that all of my desktop icons dissapeared and my c drive went like it's empty and can't be accessed still i can see the drive lying there and every time i run a virus and malware scan it search the entire c drive with no problem Had tried a system restore to a previous state every icon on the desktop where there again but still no local drive Now i'm running out of ideas and i really need to fix this I will appreciate any help you can give me Thanks in advance

A:Missing files, missing "user" folder, can't access local drive

Viruses do things like that. The scenario sounds familiar. Scan with Malwarebytes. The free version is good enough.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=search-brand-us

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316614-missing-files-missing-user-folder-cant-access-local-drive.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Help!

My HDD recently crashed and I'm trying to recover my Outlook.pst file using the Windows Recovery Console - logged in as the Administrator. I can see the files just fine with a "dir" command. However, when I try to "copy" the file I get "access denied". There has to be a way around this? Is there some way to change the attributes such that I can copy it?

Thanks,

A:how to override "access denied" when copying files in Windows Recovery

I don't think you can do this with the recovery console. By default, for security reasons, the recovery console will only allow access to the root of all drives plus the Windows folder. There is a registry setting that will change this, but you can't change that with recovery console.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-override-access-denied-when-copying-files-in-windows-recovery-503179.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I downloaded a crack yes I know it was stupid and illegal on my part and I have deleted uninstalled it T T Can't the "Windows device, specified cannot file" access path Run or Files .exe and realized it could have virus malware potential So right when it started I used taskmanager to end it Right after that I saw that my Microsoft Security Essentials turned red and showed real-time protection off Each time I click it error code x pops up I rebooted same error Also my CCleaner shows this message quot Windows cannot access the specified device path or file quot That same error pops up for both of my online games CrossFire and Microvolts I tried doing system restores and they all came back saying an unspecified error I tried doing Can't Run .exe Files "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file" a virus scan by downloading AVG but during the installing process it said something about Windows Can't Run .exe Files "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file" Installer Service wasn't started but I checked under services msc and it said Windows Installer Service was started automatically but each time I reboot Windows Installer doesn't start So maybe the virus is affecting the Installer service but I'm not too techy Ive tried uninstalling all of those programs but they all come back with the same error messages I listed Here is a link to the crack I downloaded it extracted and ran the exe file for only like a second Also I do not have any backup CDs T T Plus whenever I reboot a message shows up that says iPod Module has been closed from DEP Data Execution Protection I have no idea what to do about that Also I did the rkill and Malware Bytes combo in Safe Mode and that didnt work rkill didnt show anything and Malware bytes still closed rite when i clicked scan At this moment for an unknown reason anything I start my firewall is blocking it and coming up with a message asking if I want to unblock it It has never done that before odd And I did a full scan with Windows Defender I dont no why it actually ran but it showed everything as clean Any help would be grateful and I do no have a reboot cd in my possession Finally whenever I ran a scan with the gmr exe it closed automatcially even with only sections and C DDS txt DDS Ver - - - NTFS x Internet Explorer Run by Owner at on - - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium GMT - SP Windows Defender Enabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF Running Processes C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe globalroot Device svchost exe svchost exe C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows system SLsvc exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvxdsync exe C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Uniblue RegistryBooster rbmonitor exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files Common Files Portrait Displays Shared DTSRVC exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows system DRIVERS xaudio exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamservice exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C hp support hpsysdrv exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamgui exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows system wbem unsecapp exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Users Owner AppData Local Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files Common Files Portrait Displays Shared HookManager exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA Updatus daemonu exe C Us... Read more

A:Can't Run .exe Files "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file"

Hello 1337Killer,

I appreciate your candor in telling us how you got infected. Hopefully, you've learned an important lesson as you've picked up a real nasty one here. If you haven't already backed up any files that are important to you (as was recommended in our pre-posting topic), please do so before proceeding with the following instructions.

It will require more than 1 round to clean the system. Please stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms seem to abate.

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT- Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

====================================================

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications as they will interfere with our tools and the removal. If you are unsure how to do this, please refer to our sticky topic How to disable your security applications

====================================================

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/cant-run-exe-files-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file-588046.html
Relevancy 90.3%

May I know is it possible to show domain user's "Display Name" instead of "User Logon Name" as owner in print queue? Our company's domain using generic "User Logon Name", i.e. 001, 002, 003 and so on, each "User Logon Name" will have personalized "Display Name", e.g. Mary, John etc., but a problem is when a print job printed by a user is hold in the print queue of a network printer, other users won't know who is it (the owner of the print job may shown as 001, 002 etc.) and so not able to ask that user to remove the print job. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/show-users-display-name-instead-of-user-logon-name-as-owner-in-print-queue.616719/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi,

I have several icons/files from my "User" folder showing up in the "Computer" folder (several in duplicate), PLUS numerous blank icons...

This seems to have occurred after the Common Files folder became corrupted, after I somewhat riskily decided to power off while Vista was attempting to come out of Sleep mode - it had already taken about 3 mins and I was in a hurry - bad move, I know. That delay appears to have been due to an old version of Online Armor, and has now been fixed (by an update). Chkdsk scanned and (apparently) corrected some errors, and I also ran SFC which said it had corrected some errors but had also found some that it couldn't correct. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Icons/Files from "User" folder showing up in "Computer" folder

Hello Aster, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened may be able to fix it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261502-icons-files-user-folder-showing-up-computer-folder.html
Relevancy 89.87%

Afternoon I'm a bit boggled by this issue we / 7 "mapped stuck files" "stand-by" files Windows Large in are having on a PC at our office It seems that the PC normally will boot up and the memory usage will be low GB GB until - minutes go by then it shoots up GB GB It's really odd and I can't explain it since no applications are started I took it upon myself and downloaded RamMap Using RamMap I was able to determine that the memory is caused by quot mapped files quot under quot file summary quot I Windows 7 Large files stuck in "mapped files" / "stand-by" can see the two large files which are to blame But I'm not able delete these currently until tomorrow to confirm the user doesn't need them What I'm looking for is an answer as to why these files seem to be singled out Thanks in advance I've included a screenshot to the RamMap findings and my understanding with how memory is handled is limited EDIT - I can see now only large file is being selected for quot mapped file quot

A:Windows 7 Large files stuck in "mapped files" / "stand-by"

Attachments -

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398103-windows-7-large-files-stuck-mapped-files-stand.html
Relevancy 89.44%

hello, let's just get to the point, i had this problem recently where my pc can load windows, it keep looping
pc's on - booting - then "Windows Loading Files" - restart
it's infinite i don't know what to do, i don't have a cd rom, and i can't reinstall my windows from USB because every time i tried it says : "disk error" or "disk read error"
even after i burn it to USB correctly, tried this on other pc and USB can load just fine.
i'm thinking, it's something wrong with my boot system in System Reserved, is there anyway i can do to fix this?

A:"Windows Loading Files" infinite loop, Can't Boot USB "disk error"

Hi,

Have you tried changing the boot sequence inside the BIOS?

Normally pressing F2 or F12 on the computer will solve this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/366393-windows-loading-files-infinite-loop-cant-boot-usb-disk-error.html
Relevancy 89.44%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi All I've got an interesting situation that I'm hoping can be resolved I built a server using FreeNAS to store family pictures videos music and Windows backups Import Denied" Access "Access User Though to Has NAS Error Pictures In my home we have Windows Home Premium bit and Windows Professional bit The server is setup with Windows CIFS Shares One share for each of the two computers and then a common share for multimedia Import Pictures to NAS "Access Denied" Error Though User Has Access The user accounts on the NAS belong to the common group quot family quot The Multimedia share has ownership user group of root family The permissions on the directories in the Multimedia share are read write execute for owner read write execute for group and read execute for everyone else or in the nix world Sorry for the long setup explanation Anyway on my computer Professional and my wife's computer Home Premium I see the shares in Windows Explorer Network I am able to access the shares and the first time I accessed I was prompted to enter user credentials which I did along with checking the box to have the credentials remembered So now when I access the shares in Windows Explorer I have immediate access I can read write delete whatever through Windows Explorer On my computer I was able to easily transfer my iTunes library to the Multimedia share through the iTunes application and iTunes now sees all of my iTunes media from the NAS rather than local On my wife's computer I am having a problem with pictures I was able to easily move all of the GB of pictures from my wife's My Pictures directory over to a Pictures directory on the Multimedia share I then went into Windows Live Photo Gallery and added the Pictures directory on the Multimedia share as part of the library The pictures on the NAS show up just fine in the application I then went to set the Multimedia share Pictures directory as the Default Save Location and I received an error that stated that the directory could not be set as the Default Save Location as it was Read Only However I had just transferred files to that directory So I copied over some other files just to make sure and I had no problems reading writing deleting from the directory via Windows Explorer If I set the Pictures directory on the Multimedia share as the target for importing pictures from the camera I get an Access Denied error when trying to import However I can import the pictures to the local My Pictures directory and right after the import I can use Windows Explorer to move the pictures over to the NAS without so much as a hiccup I have done some searching on the Internet but thus far I have not found anything that resolves this issue I have tried using the Windows Library Tool application to add the Pictures directory on the Multimedia share to the Windows Pictures Library and to set that as the Default Save Location This does set those values and I can see all of the pictures on the NAS in the Windows Explorer Pictures Library Also Windows Live Photo Gallery now has the NAS share as the Default Save Location However I still get the quot Access Denied quot Error when trying to import pictures to that location I have also tried setting the permissions on the NAS Pictures directory to or read write execute for everyone but that didn't help Does Windows utilize some other account that may not have access to the stored NAS credentials for accomplishing some aspect of the picture import process I have used Task Manager to view the running applications with Windows Live Photo Gallery and the Camera Import application running and I see my wife's user account listed for those processes I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted any reader to understand the setup and what steps I have taken thus far I would appreciate any insight

A:Import Pictures to NAS "Access Denied" Error Though User Has Access

So have you tried setting the permissions using the Security tab rather than the Sharing tab? Often times you need to set the permissions on both of those tabs in order to have complete access. The link below shows you how.

HDD sharing

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/249494-import-pictures-nas-access-denied-error-though-user-has-access.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I have just done a reinstall of the OEM Windows Any WGA hidden to updates" banner Update? important way in hide "you have nag Windows XP installation and it kindly offered to install WGA for me I declined as I don't want that spyware Any way to hide "you have hidden important updates" WGA nag banner in Windows Update? on my computer but when I unchecked it from the update and checked the quot don't offer this update anymore quot option I now get a big yellow banner at the top of my Windows Update screen saying quot IMPORTANT You've Hidden Important Updates You've asked us not to show you one or more high-priority updates Any way to hide "you have hidden important updates" WGA nag banner in Windows Update? but your computer might be at risk until they are installed quot Is there any way to get this quot reminder quot hidden First of all it's kind of shady of them to call this an quot important update quot and claim that WGA has anything to do with my computer being at risk but secondly if I've asked to not be shown it anymore why do they think it's any better to show me a big banner-ad reminding me that I've asked not to be shown it anymore Jeez Thanks for any assistance

A:Any way to hide "you have hidden important updates" WGA nag banner in Windows Update?

Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)

It's pretty basic. The core of it is, they are a company that sells computer Operating System software and don't want to be ripped off. And to prevent rip-offs from updating beneficial security and other support they provide FREE, they require you run the WGA.

That isn't unreasonable.

Don't like it? Get Linux or whatever.

:)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/any-way-to-hide-you-have-hidden-important-updates-wga-nag-banner-in-windows-update-543518.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello

My Brand new Laptop: Lenovo g505 after upgrading it to windows 8.1 from MS Apps store now i am not able to connect to internet i get "limited" or "No Internet Access". i have tried to re install the driver no luck

Lenovo support suggests to do factory rest but i dont want to go back to windows 8

Does anyone else has any other idea on how to fix this issue ?
Thank you very much

A:Windows 8.1 Wifi showing "limited" or "No Internet Access"

Try rebooting the router & modem. Usually limited connection, means that the compute has failed to communicate properly with the Wireless Access Point, or wired router connection.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/41257-windows-8-1-wifi-showing-limited-no-internet-access.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi I have a Windows x machine that is permanently stuck trying to install the same update I have followed various posts loops to install with important Windows Update updates" computer your a "Restart off of MS websites to rename SoftareDistribution etc but none have helped HAve tried Boot intoClean Boot Mode and try updating again Run the Microsoft Fixit and see how it works nbsp nbsp Windows Update loops with a "Restart your computer to install important updates" nbsp nbsp nbsp How do I reset Windows Update components Try System Update Readiness tool by referring toWhat is the System Update Readiness Tool Run System File Checker tool and see how it works The WindowsUpdateClient log posts the error x bc CBS log has the following - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Windows Update loops with a "Restart your computer to install important updates" nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Session initialized by client WindowsUpdateAgent - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Session initialized by client WindowsUpdateAgent - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Appl detect Parent Package WUClient-SelfUpdate-ActiveX bf ad e amd Parent Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package bf ad e amd Disposition Detect VersionComp EQ ServiceComp GE BuildComp GE DistributionComp GE RevisionComp GE Exist present - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Appl detectParent package WUClient-SelfUpdate-ActiveX bf ad e amd parent found Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package bf ad e amd state Superseded - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Appl detectParent package WUClient-SelfUpdate-ActiveX bf ad e amd parent found Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package bf ad e amd state Installed - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Appl detect Parent Package WUClient-SelfUpdate-ActiveX bf ad e amd disposition state from detectParent Installed - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Appl Evaluating package applicability for package WUClient-SelfUpdate-ActiveX bf ad e amd applicable state Installed - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CSI nbsp nbsp nbsp e CSI Transaction x fa initialized for deployment engine d d c- d - d - d- c b with flags and client id quot TI quot - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CSI nbsp nbsp nbsp f Pending transaction content must be resolved cannot begin another transaction yet - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Failed to get transaction analysis because of pending operations Disposition from Analyze x HRESULT x bc - ERROR FAIL REBOOT REQUIRED - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Failed to get inventory HRESULT x bc - ERROR FAIL REBOOT REQUIRED - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CSI nbsp nbsp nbsp CSI Transaction x fa destroyed - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Failed to get inventory HRESULT x bc - ERROR FAIL REBOOT REQUIRED - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Failed to load current component state HRESULT x bc - ERROR FAIL REBOOT REQUIRED - - Info nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp CBS nbsp nbsp nbsp Failed to find or add t... Read more

A:Windows Update loops with a "Restart your computer to install important updates"

Thanks Alex
I had already tried the steps in the post you linked.
In the end I have had to reinstall Windows 7 over the top (keeping all settings) and this has fixed the issue with Windows Updates.
It is frustrating that I could not find a solution as I do not like glossing over the issues without first finding a solution but unfortunately it was not my pc and time was against me.
Thanks for all the replies.
Simon

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0f374ba3-b5fc-4374-be3c-6ed5462c0903/windows-update-loops-with-a-quotrestart-your-computer-to-install-important-updatesquot?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 88.58%

This a.m. I see there are a bunch of "Important" Win8.1 updates recommended (my Win update settings are to notify me, but to allow me to choose whether or not to download & install them.

Have there been any known issues / problems with these updates?

A:My latest "Important" Windows Updates notification

No problems for me, everything is back to normal

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/53505-my-latest-important-windows-updates-notification.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi I'm thinking about repairing Windows Home Premium bit with the DVD because of BSOD but I hesitate I first need to know if the backup folder called quot Windows old quot will be a COPY keeps Date Does timestamps "Windows.old" & ? folders keep "Date Created" of files Modified but updates Date Created or a CUT simply moves all folders to an other thus doesn't change Date Created Thanks So of course only those who have ever reinstalled Windows may know the answer If you don't know Does "Windows.old" keep "Date Created" timestamps of files & folders ? but have reinstalled Windows at least once please spare Does "Windows.old" keep "Date Created" timestamps of files & folders ? seconds to check simply find a file like a picture or music that you had before the reinstall and see in the bottom bar of explorer if its Date Created is the original or the reinstall date You can also click Display tab in Explorer then Sort by gt Others gt check quot Date Created quot gt OK gt Click display again gt Sort by gt Date Created Don't mistake with Date Modified I know the original Date Modified is kept upon copying but it will Does "Windows.old" keep "Date Created" timestamps of files & folders ? update if you modify the file obviously Please be honest and double check losing years old dates of my past would be heartbreaking like mixing the pages of my diary Date Created is very important to me and is underrated because it's not the default sorting option unlike Name Type Date Modified because my computer is years old now has thousands of files and folders and it's easy to find them back and organize them with Date Created sorting if I didn't write tags or description in the file name If it doesn't keep Date Created any simple other way to fix Windows without losing them is welcomed I guess cutting manually files and move them to an external drive would but I'm afraid it messes up my PC before I even finish the transfer Would a classic backup keep Date Created I guess this is becoming too much quot off section quot Please be human and ignore the following if it is maybe someone might have an answer to the relevant initial question Sorry I don't commonly use forums but I'm too helpless v All this is not important though If my problem with dates is fixed To be honest my problem wouldn't be the backup if I wasn't threatened by BSOD every day Since about week now I get minutes of BSOD daily randomly within the first hours of usage of the day then it runs perfectly the whole day after that I cleaned some years old dust inside the PC and graphic card fans fixed temporarily for like - months then BSOD again changed thermal paste and re-plugged my ram bars fixed temporarily again few months So I guess it's in the system files I did anti virus scans SFC scannow on System but it didn't find anything what a lie I even had the quot file header checksum corrupt quot black screen sometimes and quot PFN LIST CORRUPT quot some BSOD Should I perform the scan in an other folder BSOD suspect files are mostly ntkrnlpa exe halmacpi dll win k sys ntfs sys recently dxgmms sys and some really special snowflakes that appeared red one time in BlueScreenView such as fltmgr sys npfs sys ataport sys volsnap sys and many more it's so gross and nasty I could leave a screenshot of my BlueScreenView history if needed all kinds of errors That's why I'm depressed causes are so multiple and random Though I think I modified something in regedit about quot TdrDelay quot value in Graphic Drivers because of the BSODs in gaming or YouTube I have a registry backup but it's more than year old so not sure if it's safe and I don't remember if it had the default settings and what they were right now its value is I don't know if I even had the file before so a reinstall would be simpler if that is the problem I just hope it doesn't have to do with materials that I have to pay a lot for

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/381341-does-windows-old-keep-date-created-timestamps-files-folders.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I can't copy and paste "User name" and Password" in Windows Mail (Vista 64 bit SP2)

I have already try both mouse and keyboard (ctrl+c and ctrl+v)

I would like to know how to setting then I can copy and paste "User name" and Password" ?

Kind Regards,

A:I can't copy and paste "User name" and Password" in Windows Mail (Vista 64 bit SP2)

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine it's a security measure.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/230180-i-cant-copy-paste-user-name-password-windows-mail-vista-64-bit-sp2.html
Relevancy 87.29%

New to the "Windows drives Cannot my Access" WD "My Book NAS Live" forum hoping to find answers or new ideas to try My Win OS computer has problems seeing my WD network drives most of the time I'll "Windows Cannot Access" my WD "My Book Live" NAS drives say up front that my Macbook my Windows XP laptops all other computers of "Windows Cannot Access" my WD "My Book Live" NAS drives various types in my house see and access these drives just fine but the one with Windows Pro will not It occasionally will see and access them for short periods of random time though which really has me baffled These drives are right on the same network switch as the Win computer The scenario goes like this click on the drive name to view contents or so seconds pass popup says quot Windows cannot access drive-name quot I try the second NAS drive same thing I try the quot diagnose quot feature to no avail I've even explored some of the quot explore additional options quot suggestions to no avail I can ping the IP addresses of both these drives all day long and they respond without fail Weird thing is that very occasionally I will click the drive and the file folders show up and I can transfer files or whatever I want for a short random period of time I swear this problem is driving me crazy I've been resorting to using a flash drive to transfer files on this computer's HD to the WD network drives via an XP OS computer or via the Macbook I like Windows other than this very frustrating problem Soooo any ideas or suggestions Anyone else have this issue and figured it out TIA for any and all comments and help

A:"Windows Cannot Access" my WD "My Book Live" NAS drives

have you tried to access it via the IP address rather than hostname? It may be DNS causing an issue

For example in the Windows Explorer navigation bar type the following

\\{IP address}\share

Have you tried to map the drive at all?

Josh

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/303101-windows-cannot-access-my-wd-my-book-live-nas-drives.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hello everyone,I've been having a problem since I updated to Windows 8.1My internet wi-fi connection is unusually low and is not working after only minutes of browsing the internet. The problem is always fixed after I run troubleshoot problems and is saying that the default Gateway is unavailable. My netword card might be the source of the problem even tough I updated the drivers. I'm not sure which one I have because drivers from Ralink and Qualcomm seem to be working both so :/Please help ^^

A:"Access Limited" or "No Internet Connection" windows 8.1

Hi,
Welcome to the forums, go to device manager, expand "Network Adapters" and find out the make of your card and post here, while you are in Device Manager, right click wireless adapter, click properties, select "Advanced" tab, select "Auto" from the drop down ( as in 2nd snip) for 802.11n Channel width for 2.4.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/50543-access-limited-no-internet-connection-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I am running Windows on an iMac with VMware Fusion Everything was fine for three months Then slowly problems started showing up A notice would come up saying that Windows Explorer wasn t working and needed to close re-booted So far it is still only occasionally Then the screen size display began to change EVERY time Windows was restarted The change was to a different size not Computer" Windows "My 7, and in trash files "moving" each time changed it back It is getting to be a real pain Now the quot My Computer quot screen only works occasionally in the beginning I rebooted Now that doesn t help When it doesn t work - the box is mostly blank with a horizontal quot thermometer quot where Windows 7, files not "moving" in trash and "My Computer" the words quot my computer belong quot slowly moving across the top Even when the line is filled the quot my computer quot screen doesn t fill in When I do get a screen I am only able to move files or folders for a short time After that I get a square when clicked on says quot calculating quot Windows 7, files not "moving" in trash and "My Computer" - and it never finishes This happens with moving many or only two or three files I am also unable to Windows 7, files not "moving" in trash and "My Computer" click and highlight several random files with the control key held This also happens with the recycle bin I am unable to delete the files there I have a GHz Intel Core Duo with GB MHz I use three different registry cleaners had lots of problems before Windows and am not too happy with and a Malware program I have a software program that offers a repair feature on its disc Is there any chance that Windows offers this Please please can you solve any of these problems especially the file moving one I am so-o-o tired of having a computer with problems I started with ME so you know how bad things have been Thank you for any help you can give me - I m at my wits end TaliaGabby nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-files-not-moving-in-trash-and-my-computer.891820/
Relevancy 86.43%

Without quotes, no extension. Anyone know what they are and if they're legit?

Thanks.

A:My c:\windows folder has a couple of strange files: "D" and "@#"

They dont see legit to me. Try to do a virus search. Otherwise i recommend factory reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/249637-my-c-windows-folder-has-couple-strange-files-do-u.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi i purchased Dell XPS laptop couple of weeks ago with windows 7 HP loaded.. Of course i am using the administrator account while running any setup or patches i am getting the error message "Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions". I have tried the suggestions mentioned in forums like UAC setting, firewall & kaspersky disable, copied to some other location & tried to access the setup exe file nothing worked out. Since from last 2 days I am trying various ways, I am fed up with the Win 7 Any useful suggestion is welcome.

A:How to fix "windows cannot access the specified devices, path or file..." problem

What patches and setups are you running?

From where? - DVD, USB, downloaded installation files, etc...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-fix-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-devices-path-or-file-problem-541984.html
Relevancy 86.43%

hi everybody, i have an old pionex elite, which my son had about 3 years ago, and i figured id network the two i have, but evidently, my son put on a program called "access denied" wich after the first win98 splash screen, prompts you for username and password, but it does it before you can press f8 to get into DOS, and it is impossible for me to get the password from my son, because my son is no longer on gods green earth. i can still get into the bios, so is it possible to format from bios? or if anyone has any experience in getting past these types of programs, please post. id very much appreciate it.

A:problem with a windows lock down utility "access denied"

hi sodken, and welcome to the boards!

are you talking about a Windows password box, or something on a black screen from the BIOS?

Is there a "cancel" button?

Notice the name of BIOS at the black screen during startup? (hint -press the "pause" key to read it)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-a-windows-lock-down-utility-access-denied.156188/
Relevancy 86.43%

I'm not sure what's the cause for this, but I believe it has to do with a recent SweetIM malware attack. I tried to fix it. And also did a system restore. Malware is gone, but this thing came up.

The error message comes up upon closing an app (NoteTab Light). It's trying to save some info, but can't. My browser, Opera, now also is unable to recall from the cache when it previously can. Apparently, something has changed that prevents writing to files within that folder. Maybe not just the Roaming folder, but the whole Appdata as well. I can't be sure.

In anyway, I found that I can manually add and edit files in the folder, but apps can't do that anymore. What could be the cause?

A:Cannot create file "c:\User\...\Appdata\Roaming...". Access is denied.

"Access is denied" could mean you're not administrator, or you haven't set the privileges of the action to allow yourself to do so..

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/251856-cannot-create-file-c-user-appdata-roaming-access-denied.html
Relevancy 86.43%

My Windows 10 laptop has several shared drives (not folders).
They are shared with Everyone, Full Control, Password-Protected sharing is off.

I can't access them from my main PC, but I can access the Users\Public folder.

Sharing settings below...

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/45176-shared-drive-your-user-account-doesnt-have-permission-access.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I have to user "Network" dir. access my denied account Accidentally regular a computer running windows bit ult I changed settings on the Network-PC users BOB to Accidentally denied my regular user account access to "Network" dir. deny all access to BOB Immediately after doing this my desktop disappeared and things stopped Accidentally denied my regular user account access to "Network" dir. working I thought it was a simple fix I went into the Admin account and changed it so that user BOB had access to the directory BOB As far as I can tell I've given BOB every possible ability to access anything However logging into BOB results in the inability to use windows search unable to open video files in appdata almost every program is broken either saying corruption which isn't true or out of memory or access denied I attempted to create a new username but certain programs will not open under this username Is there ANY way to simply UNDO that one step According to admin and everything BOB should have unrestricted access to everything but everything is broken Could not even get simple things to run like Handbrake All permissions on every drive is set to allow BOB full control Attempting to set permissions within the account called BOB results in the false error message that the file doesn't exist or BOB doesn't have access Right click shows full access I need to figure out how to undo ONE mistake you'd think it would be as easy as undoing what you did but apparently windows error messages are generating errors that are themselves errors I've tried adjusting quot owners quot but that is practically a field of quantum physics Ran SFC scannow as suggested elsewhere and nothing EDIT Addition Trying to access certain files while on the ADMIN profile results in an error message that says quot BOB Programnamehere refers to a location that is unavailable quot I just need to unbreak every single program on my computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/380814-accidentally-denied-my-regular-user-account-access-network-dir.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Hello Guys,

I have been facing issues with my dell N5110 and Windows 7 laptop. I have been using it for over a year but never faced this issue. My wireless (and wired) connection connects to the router but doesnt connect to internet. A yellow triangle appears on the network connection symbol.

I know for a fact that there is no issue with router because my other devices (another compaq laptop, an Ipad, a Kindle, HTC desire phone) connect fine. I havent changed the router or any of the settings. My dell laptop refuses to connect to the internet.

I have tried some of the remedies mentioned in the forum like resetting TCP/IP protocol using netsh command, ipconfig renew, re-installed the driver from the manufacturers CD but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With Regards,
Avisesh

A:"No Internet Access" problem with Dell N5110 Windows 7 Home Premium

Quote: Originally Posted by avisesh

Hello Guys,

I have been facing issues with my dell N5110 and Windows 7 laptop. I have been using it for over a year but never faced this issue. My wireless (and wired) connection connects to the router but doesnt connect to internet. A yellow triangle appears on the network connection symbol.

I know for a fact that there is no issue with router because my other devices (another compaq laptop, an Ipad, a Kindle, HTC desire phone) connect fine. I havent changed the router or any of the settings. My dell laptop refuses to connect to the internet.

I have tried some of the remedies mentioned in the forum like resetting TCP/IP protocol using netsh command, ipconfig renew, re-installed the driver from the manufacturers CD but to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With Regards,
Avisesh

If you can post a screen shot of the ipconfig/all it would be very helpful.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/247923-no-internet-access-problem-dell-n5110-windows-7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi Brand new PC Only one user which is Admin Running Syncback trying to backup quot user-folders quot like images and videos etc I get Access denied problems I'm able to browse the folders just fine I have checked the when Syncback "User-folders" Access backup denied (5) to using trying check-box on the program to run as admin I do NOT want to use Libraries Log from Syncback partially translated from norwegian Code C Users MyName AndrMask Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName AppData Local Logg Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName AppData Local Programdata Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName AppData Local Temporary Internet Files Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Start Menu Programmer Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName Cookies Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName Documents Intern video Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName Documents Min musikk Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName Documents Mine bilder Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName Lokale innstillinger Scan Access denied (5) when trying to backup "User-folders" using Syncback failed Access denied C Users MyName Maler Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName Mine dokumenter Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName Programdata Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName Recent Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName SendTo Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName Skrivere Scan failed Access denied C Users MyName Start-meny Any ideas

A:Access denied (5) when trying to backup "User-folders" using Syncback

It is just the junction points that it should not access! Do not change a thing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/129881-access-denied-5-when-trying-backup-user-folders-using-syncback.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I am having the same problem with Windows I had two accounts set up access to Vista internet Re: in second "user" created on Unable for my wife amp I I had removed two tool bars that were accidentally installed and also removed AVG because I had Avast and didn't need both of them After I did this my wife could no longer connect to the internet on her account but I can on mine I have already Re: Unable to access internet on second "user" created in Vista tried the following changing her status to administrator System restore to the previous day Re: Unable to access internet on second "user" created in Vista before I removed anything setting up a new user but still could not connect updated to IE no luck uninstalled IE amp went back to IE tried reinstalling AVG but it won't install because of Avast tried another solution from a forum with a similar problem which consisted of going into C Users and creating a folder named quot Everyone quot and changing the settings in there to Full amp Apply then copying that folder over to the desktop of my wife's account still no luck Any ideas Don't know if it is a Windows or IE problem I don't think it is virus related as it just started doing this when I removed those two toolbars and AVG Free Thanks

A:Re: Unable to access internet on second "user" created in Vista

Create a new user account; transfer files over -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...d-user-profile

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/re-unable-to-access-internet-on-second-user-created-in-vista-533377.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I've got a customer who's XP Pro box crashed. He Re-Installed XP Pro using the "Delete existing Windows folder" option. Now he can't gain acces to his previous user "Documents and Settings" folder even after recreating the same user and password in the new install. I'm thinking this is because the Windows "Computer Name" has changed. Anyone know of a way to get into and change the old computer name to the new computer name?

Relevancy 86.43%

I contacted Nero about the lightscribe icon not showing up in Nero Ultra 7 and these are the directions they sent me....where do you find local securitypolicy in Windows XP home edition??? How can I find the "Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only". they have listed?

In Windows, go to
>Start
>Settings
>Control Panel
>Administrative Tools
>Local Security Policy
>Local Policies
>Security Options

Double-click on the entry
"Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only".
Choose the option "Disabled".
Confirm this change by clicking on "Apply and "OK".

Thanks a lot!!

A:where is the "Devices: Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only". in XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/where-is-the-devices-restrict-cd-rom-access-to-locally-logged-on-user-only-in-xp.448191/
Relevancy 86.43%

In MS ACCESS How can I make a separate copy of the Window submenu item command ? "Window" a Add to ACCESS user-defined MS menu a in a custom menu bar that will allow the user to switch from window to window but nothing else In my app I want to restrict the things that a user can do so I created my own pared-down versions of the standard menu bar and tool bar and turn off the standard ones upon startup I want to add the quot Window quot submenu to my custom toolbar In this custom version of the window submenu I don t want to be able to tile arrange or hide unhide I simply want a list of visable windows and to be able MS ACCESS ? Add a "Window" command to a user-defined menu to choose one of them to be the active window I know how to put a new submenu item in a custom menu and how to insert menu items into it but I don t know how to add this un-named capability to my custom quot Window quot submenu I tried copying the existing Window submenu from the standard menu bar onto my own custom menu bar by ctrl-dragging it MS ACCESS ? Add a "Window" command to a user-defined menu but rather than creating a new instance of the windows submenu it apparently only created a new pointer or shortcut to the MS ACCESS ? Add a "Window" command to a user-defined menu existing window submenu item because when I went to delete the tile cascade hide etc items from the custom window submenu they also disappeared from the window submenu in the standard menu bar How can I make a separate copy of the Window submenu item in a custom menu bar that will allow the user to switch from window to window but nothing else nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ms-access-add-a-window-command-to-a-user-defined-menu.305498/
Relevancy 86.43%

I just bought an HP S5120F with an AMD 7750 Processor. After initial startup I created a second "user" account. I have been unable to get an internet connection on this account. The first "user" account works fine.
I get [I]windows can not connect to "MYPLACE"[I]. I click DIAGNOSE and get This computer was disconnected from "MYPLACE" because of user action.

Anybody come across this before?

This can not be malware related or virus related. It came straight out of the box this way.

A:Unable to access internet on second "user" created in Vista

Please create a 3rd user account and test it. DO NOT install anything on the account - just test the internet connectivity and then remove the new account.

If the new account connects, then it's most likely something that you've installed in the second user account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unable-to-access-internet-on-second-user-created-in-vista-483940.html
Relevancy 86%

I tried to associate the file extension .txt to a new editor program
with the well known cmdline programs ASSOC and FTYPE.

No, assigning them through WinExplorer menu does not work.
But this is another problem which should not discussed here.

When I type now one of the following alternative commands at the CommandPrompt then Win7 returns me something like:

assoc .txt=txtfile

"Access denied"
The following error occurs: .txt"

or

ftype txtfile=D:\notepad++\notepad++.exe "%%1"

"Access denied"
The following error occurs: txtfile"

Why?

The command above work fine under WinXP

Peter

A:"access denied" when using "assoc" and "ftype" from cmdline?

Question:

Did you run cmd.exe with administrative previlliges?
Elevated Command Prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/101442-access-denied-when-using-assoc-ftype-cmdline.html
Relevancy 86%

Hello SevenForums A friend of mine brought a Windows Ultimate x laptop saying that he can't log in with his account When he tries to log in it shows this message quot The User Profile Service failed the logon User profile cannot be loaded quot Now I've searched the internet and found a few articles how to fix this denied logon" failed service special profile case access "User the problem I receive error "User profile service failed the logon" special case access denied message The user profile service failed the - Microsoft Community You receive a quot The User Profile Service failed the logon "User profile service failed the logon" special case access denied error message None of these worked I would like to restore the profile not creating a new one I can create a second profile without any problem but if I can I would "User profile service failed the logon" special case access denied like to save the current one I've looked into the event viewer and this is what I see for the problem Error User Profile Service eventID Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded Details Access is denied I've also checked how it all started This happened during a shutdown Warning User Profile Service Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services Detail user registry handles leaked from lt SID gt After this during the first start Error User Profile Service Windows was unable to load the registry Detail The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process lt Path-to-user-profile gt ntuser dat After this I get an error from User Profile Service basically with the same text Except this one is thrown by the User while the previous one is thrown by the SYSTEM I see a few more Winlogon warnings but those are just notification events And after a restart it always shows the same problem the one I wrote first I can't log in to the account even in Safe Mode it creates a temporary profile Can anyone give me a few tips what could be the problem Thank you all

A:"User profile service failed the logon" special case access denied

Hello Marty, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The tutorial below may be able to help with this error. The "In Preparation" section at the top can help give you a few options to log on with to be able to do the tutorial.

User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/342377-user-profile-service-failed-logon-special-case-access-denied.html
Relevancy 86%

Why does my Win 10 File Explorer show shortcuts to the folders in my own account folder, as well as the folders themselves?
For example, there is a shortcut to My Documents, which leads nowhere, but to a message saying, "Access Denied" yet the folder called Documents does open to display all of my documents. Application Data leads to the same denial, yet AppData gets me to my application data. What is the point of all these extra shortcuts (ten of them)?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-are-there-access-denied-shortcuts-in-my-user-folder.1168499/
Relevancy 86%

Problem with quot user quot account unable to access any internet site friendle name amp url both fail Windows XP Pro SP with all updates except SP Computer lab PCs with identical hardware amp of group internet members "user" cannot access software Lab computers were set up months ago Each machine has an admin account amp a user account From other PCs members of quot user quot account can access internet began about weeks ago only known hardware or software changes had been symantec corp AV amp Win xp updates done when logged on as quot Administrator quot I changed the account type to quot administrator members of "user" group cannot access internet quot and the problem rersolved Changing the account back to quot user quot results a return of the problem I created another quot user quot account same problem None of the other computers in the lab have this problem I m the lab administrator although the lab owner has the password for the quot administrator quot I have not made any group policy settings Files can be accessed across the network but I cannot access the internet from of the computers as a quot user quot nor as a quot power user quot I can access the internet as quot administrator quot and as a member of the quot administrator quot group Problem was not present Mar Steps I have taken cleared cookies temp files temp internet files history ping gateway gt works ping DNS servers gt all fail all fail from any computer in the lab even fails on those computers that can access the Internet When I ping the dns servers using www codeflux com tools the ping process is successful ipconfig release ipconfig renew ipconfig flushdns ping of yahoo s ip addresses packets sent packets lost request times out ping yahoo com packets sent packets lost request times out repaired connection within Networking applet of control panel verified that Windows XP firewall is not running verified TCP IP filtering is not active scanned for viruses none found I see nothing strange in the running processes I have read http support microsoft com default aspx scid kb EN-US q but I don t understand the netsh command usage I tried to test the Winsock I read http support microsoft com kb My system information does not display quot components quot I ran a network diag tool from within System information It reports Network adapters NIC manufacturer model FAILED DSNServerSearchOrder FAILED IP address of DNS server failed IP address of DNS server failed IP address of DNS server failed No problems noted with other items tested I had a similar problem with another PC in the lab a week or ago I fixed that by adjusting the MTU For my current issue I adjusted the MTU but the problem persists Your guidance will be appreciated B nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/members-of-user-group-cannot-access-internet.339810/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi

Is it possible to start the app without "Security Worning" window ("Cancel. Open, More Info" buttons)? If yes, how you can make changes then?

Is it possible to start the app without "Microsoft Access" window on the background?

Thanks,
Barbos

A:Solved: Access 2003 - To start the app w/o "Security Warning" and "Microsoft Access"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-access-2003-to-start-the-app-w-o-security-warning-and-microsoft-access.837401/
Relevancy 85.57%

i've been relying on going to "internet options","general" and "delete" then ticking all the boxes on that page..i found out that by doing this,my temporary internet file swere NOT being deleted.is this a vista problem? my pc came to a complete sludge of a slow down today and i found that my internet files folder had files going back a year that hadn't been deleted as i've been relying on ticking those boxes..i had tons and tons of and tons of files.i'm wondering if this is the norm and also is it possible that other files are not being deleted when using that method? if so,then i probably have folders that are totally loaded with trash.

A:Solved: Had to delete temp internet files by "view files" ,"select all" ,"delete"

Have you ever unticked Preserve Favorites website data?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-had-to-delete-temp-internet-files-by-view-files-select-all-delete.1029591/
Relevancy 85.57%

Greetings I have an XP machine which I only ever user myself lists "user" users" start and [SOLVED] program Merging "all menu as in there are no other users on the machine [SOLVED] Merging "user" and "all users" start menu program lists no guest account and it logs in without a password I'm trying to sort out my expansive and bloated Start Menu Programs list but it seems that there are two separate lists One for quot Joe quot the main user account and one for quot all users quot I guess because some programs give the option of installing for just one user or for everyone All of the programs show up in the Start Menu when I click on it but when I go into Windows Explorer to try and sort them out there are two separate folders C Documents and Settings All Users Start Menu Programs C Documents and Settings Joe Start Menu Programs I know I can move them around in these folders ie putting them in related groups such as quot system tools quot etc but can I move all of them from the main user to the quot all users quot folder or vice versa without any problems Thanks Joe

A:[SOLVED] Merging "user" and "all users" start menu program lists

Yes, you can consolidate them all in one, or slit them up as desired.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-merging-and-quot-user-and-quot-and-and-quot-all-users-and-quot-start-menu-program-lists-493670.html
Relevancy 85.14%

If there is a better location for this question please let me know Had administrator privileges on this computer running XP and had two large and critical quot tracking files quot that I ve been working on for months one in OpenOffice org Calc one in Jarte I come back after Corrupt w/ "System Move and files Find User"? as my weekend and the bosses IT guy whose shop is over two hours away said there was some virus stuff on this computer and that quot some of the files were corrupt quot Find and Move Corrupt files w/ as "System User"? So he makes then me a quot User quot and of course my two critical files are no longer here they are gone lost or at least I can t find them Questions If I run a recovery program from a flash drive --assuming I can then find these two quot corrupt files quot -- is it possible to then copy or move such files to a CD on the same computer Will my lack of quot Administrator quot privileges prevent me from performing number I have a sneaky feeling that the IT guy doesn t know what he is talking about e g he s running AVG Free Antivrus on this business system And what kind of effort is he going to put into finding or recovering such files when it isn t he that has spent so long building the files to begin with Obviously a rhetorical question Thanks people cas nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/find-and-move-corrupt-files-w-as-system-user.837234/
Relevancy 85.14%

I'm running a Toshiba Windows Vista. A couple days ago I deleted a second user account i had on the computer. Now when I uninstall a program using Revo Uninstaller Pro, it lists 3,740 registry files that I supposedly don't need anymore. Alot of these are files that are still installed under the current user, but still showing. I also have quite a few Toshiba registries, like Disc Creator, General Utilities, Speech software, Wifi, and files like Java and Windows updates. Are these files leftover from the second user I deleted? Are they safe to delete the registries for? Thanks.

Relevancy 85.14%

Hi, I am a new member and really want to get some help from all members here. I have an Axioo netbook running Windows 7 Starter. Due to some problems the other days, I decided to run a Recovery. The recovery process ran successfully, and I eventually had a fresh re-installation of the operating system. But, the problem is, everytime I turn on my netbook, I always get this annoying notification. I didn't have any user data to restore and I always clicked Cancel to dismiss the pop-up window. However, this annoying notification always appears for every startup and I must click Cancel button to make it disappear from the screen.
My question is what should I do to solve this annoying problem? I find it uneasy to always click Cancel button for each startup.
Thanks a lot for the help.

A:HELP Please : Annoying "Restore User Files" Window after Recovery

Did you import your files separately? This normally only comes up when you choose to run Recovery with backup.

Have you tried clicking Restore my Files to see what it has to offer?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/103646-help-please-annoying-restore-user-files-window-after-recovery.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I notice that in the c:\documents and settings\username\local settings that there is a TEMP and a TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES directory.

When I delete the temporary internet files in explorer let's say, the files are gone in the pathname above\temporary interent files.

My question is can I just go and delete the files in the TEMP folder manually as well? without damaging some other program applicaiton operations?

Thanks
Stompster

Relevancy 85.14%

Ok, so basically, whenever I turn the computer on, 3 error messages appear:

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee.exe

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee1.exe

- Error loading H:/Archiv~/GBPLUG~/gbiehcef.dll. Couldn't find specific module.

(sorry if some terms are incorrect, my computer is in Spanish, to I tried to translate as best as possible)

Please help me solve this terrible problem, it is really getting me on my nerves! (oh, and if this helps, I've recently donwloaded this so called "Limewire acceleration", and whenever I ran the setup, it didn't work. I don't really remember the name of the website I downloaded it from, sorry...)

A:Can't Open "My Documents", "Trash" or other files in "My Computer"!?

Hi and Welcome to the forum

I am almost certain that you have malware problems. Most like caused by you doing file sharing/ P2P - Limewire.

Suggest that you go here and follow the directions:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

Please be advised that the malware people are very busy and it could take a couple days to assist you.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-my-documents-trash-or-other-files-in-my-computer-288056.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi all I am running Windows XP Pro Recently I was exploring quot Local Security Settings quot and fiddled with a couple settings in Local Policies Security Options I m not sure if my problem is drives, user for one is CD except denied" "Access for related to this fiddling but I mention it just in case The problem is that my DVD-ROM drive and CD burner Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M and LITE-ON LTR- S respectively are inaccessible to all the Administrator accounts a User account and the Guest account Only one Power User account the one I use regularly can access discs in the DVD-ROM drive and CD burner When I attempt to access either drive I get quot D or F is not accessible Access is denied quot for any user except my own In my own account both drives work normally including AutoPlay annoyingly I ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers I ve tried fiddling with Local Security Settings again What permission or security setting would cause me to lose access for administrators --posco nbsp

A:"Access is denied" for CD drives, except for one user

lol

you are your own worst enemy
the easiest fix is go into power user delete all other acounts
and stop fiddiling !!!! :giddy:

if you need to create new acounts again after that with administraion privillages.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-is-denied-for-cd-drives-except-for-one-user.42148/
Relevancy 85.14%

I have new Dell Dimension e310, I have myself and my wife set up as "Adminstrators" and the 3 kids as "Limited". When I did the initial set-up I checked a box that said something about keeping files private. Maybe I shouldn't have. Now when I am logged in and I down load a new program such as "Kodak Easyshare" nobody else can select pictures to make changes to them. Is there a way to allow access to these files/pictures in this program and other future programs??

A:User Accounts - with "limited" access

You have 2 choices: you can move the files/programs into the Shared Documents folder, or you can remove the extra security on your user ID.

The Shared Documents folder is found in My Computer. It is active under every account on the computer.

Here is a step by step from Microsoft on how to add/remove permissions for folders and files. Microsoft Support

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-accounts-with-limited-access-93877.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I have windows xp/professional sevice pack 3. since 01/09/2015, after start up a box displays 'user environment error- cannot load locally saved files ,it might be due to network provider or some else.' Also system restore does not take place. pl.help. Provide suitable & authentic solution. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-environment-error-displays-unable-to-load-locally-saved-files.1155090/
Relevancy 85.14%

I have been out of the computer repair world for a few years now, and have not dealt with fixing windows 7 PCs much at all. The wifes windows 7 laptop crashed, and I need to reinstall windows. I popped her hard drive out and hooked it up to my computer via an external USB enclosure. The drive comes but her user account appears to be "hidden", I only see a "default" and "public" user account. I know her account is there because their is a lot of used hard drive space that is not accounted for with the folder shown. I somewhat recall this being a security feature way back when when vista was coming out?? I have messed around with the securities, permissions, and ownership of the drive but I still can't see her user account.

A:User account "hidden" when trying to retrieve files from another PC

Hello PCBliss, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Normally user accounts are not hidden, but you could use the steps in the tutorial below to select Show hidden files, folders, and drives and uncheck Hide protected operating system files box in Folder Options to see if the user folder shows up faded afterwards.

Hidden Files and Folders - Show or Hide

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/182015-user-account-hidden-when-trying-retrieve-files-another-pc.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I have an XP Home Edition computer with GB hard drive Currently I have partitioned it as GB System Drive GB Profile partition GB Programs partition and the remainder for shares Now what I m wanting to do is move the Program files over to the Programs parition without breaking any I realize this means editing registry entries and shortcuts to reflect the new location a daunting task for sure So I am wondering if there was an easier way to accomplish this I realize I could mount the volumn as a folder on the C drive which would require copying everything out of the Program Files folder mounting then Copying everything back I kinda want "Program and Files" moving profiles user to avoid a simple mounting and have a distinct drive for the program files but will mount the volumn as a folder if i have to I also find that I can easily move the My Documents folder to the partition I have set aside for that which eventually I will do But moving "Program Files" and user profiles I moving "Program Files" and user profiles d like to know if it s possible to move more than just the My Documents folder and move everything under the Documents and Settings folder over nbsp

A:moving "Program Files" and user profiles

What you want to do is going to be a lot of work but alas it is easier than you think. You should have all of the install programs for everything on your computer. What you want to do first is backup all of your important data - not the programs just the data. When this is done you do a full re-install of Windows to the drive C:.

Next step is to install your programs to the drive you have designated for programs and also make a Program Files directory first.

As for the profile partition all you do is leave the profiles where they go as Windows want to put them. Make the partition that you wanted for profiles a data partition and make a directory there for Data Files. Or something you want to call it.

I do the same thing with my computer and it i s easier to back up and restore.

When you are done getting it the way you want then use Acronis True Image on all of the drives so if something happens you just restore the image and if you do have to restore it only takes about 20 minutes instead of three days or more the other way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-program-files-and-user-profiles.488543/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello First let me tell you about my system nbsp nbsp This is an Inspiron E laptop with the T Core Duo processor running at GHZ nbsp nbsp It has GB of RAM and a brand new GB Hitachi Travelstar hard drive RPM nbsp nbsp It also has the GeForce Go GS video card nbsp nbsp nbsp It previously had Windows XP Professional bit and worked fine nbsp nbsp But I have three computers in my home and home office with E1705/9400 Inspiron Windows with entries exclamation "Base Device" my under point two Devices" "Other on - Installation New System Minor for Problem yellow 7 and would like them all to work better together on my wired home network so I am upgrading all three to Windows nbsp nbsp My two desktops one is Dimension XPS and the other is Dimension XPS seem like they will be no problem to upgrade to Windows nbsp nbsp But this laptop was not listed on Dell s Windows Compatibility List nbsp nbsp However the Windows Upgrade Advisor that I downloaded and ran seemed to say that Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point it was OK to do a clean install of bit Windows and it only Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point had a few minor concerns where it said to check for updated drivers from the manufacturer nbsp nbsp The laptop originally came with a GB hard drive nbsp nbsp For my use that is getting very small so I decided to get the same exact RPM drive in the GB size nbsp nbsp This will allow me to do a clean install of the bit Windows OS on the new hard drive and not have to wipe the old drive to do it nbsp nbsp I can just hold onto the old HD and stick it back in whenever I might need to get something off of it So here is my minor problem nbsp nbsp After transferring a few needed items off the old hard drive I installed the new GB drive and did a clean install of the bit version of Windows nbsp nbsp nbsp I m happy to report that I had virtually no problems with the installation and everything appears to be working fine nbsp nbsp It seems a little bit more zippy than it was before and I haven t run into anything so far that doesn t seem to be working nbsp nbsp I have gone through most of the features and most everything looks great nbsp nbsp But there is one minor problem showing in the Device Manager nbsp nbsp At least I think it s a minor problem but maybe someone else can give me some input as to whether it is or not In the Device Manager List there is a category now called quot Other Devices quot and the icon shows a little white circle with a question mark in it nbsp nbsp nbsp When you expand this category you see two identical entries that say nbsp nbsp quot Base System Device quot nbsp and the icon has a yellow circle with an exclamation point in it nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp I know from previous experience that it s not a good thing to see items in the Device Manager that have a yellow circle with an exclamation point nbsp nbsp I have clicked on both of these and neither one really tells you what the device is or who made it or who s website you would go to for a driver nbsp nbsp nbsp Under the general tab it has the following information nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Device Type nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp nbsp Other Devices nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Manufacturer nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp Unknown nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Location nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp - nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp PCI Bus nbsp Device nbsp Function nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Under De... Read more

A:Minor Problem with New Windows 7 Installation on my Inspiron E1705/9400 - two entries for "Base System Device" under "Other Devices" with yellow exclamation point

BTW, I just downloaded and installed the driver pack from that ftp location and it worked, even for Windows 8.1 - 64 bit.
Thanks Steve!

Roger

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19313275
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi I recently installed hdd old Cannot "windows" and "program delete from files" a new ssd and did a fresh install of windows on it I am now using my old hdd as my main data drive in my laptop caddy My Cannot delete "windows" and "program files" from old hdd problem is I did not back up my data on my hdd and format it So I need to delete the quot windows quot quot program files quot and quot program files x quot folders from that hdd to free up some space I understand I have to give ownership to those folders for me to be able to do delete the folders I have tired the methods suggested by this guide Take Ownership of a File Folder Drive or Registry Key in Windows I tried both of those commands To grant currently logged on user ownership of takeown F quot full path of folder or drive quot R D Y To grant administrators group ownership of takeown F quot full path of folder or drive quot A R D Y and it was succesful however I still couldn't delete the folders I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me

A:Cannot delete "windows" and "program files" from old hdd

A lot is protected by trusted installer. I do that kind of thing with a win7 winpe disc/usb. I have a special driver which ignores permissions and gives complete control.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/43064-cannot-delete-windows-program-files-old-hdd.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hey Friends I guess its not only me having this is it Many of and and Dialog ".CHK Windows Files" "Scan Box" Fix us have it right so whats the thing which brings up this dialog box gt Scan and Fix or Continue without scanning gt when you connect an external device to your computer i had some time some bad day of mine when i clicked on the Scan and Fix and the result was the windows converted a very large number of my files into CHK files hidden in the HDD and i still cannot find a way to recover those most most important files of mine they are text files I did recover a large bundle of files but not the ones i actually needed more than anything those text files i have gone through literally files and recovered almost everything gt videos movies images and messed up bits of large installation files of softwares like AE broken down to many many small pieces but that doesnt matter that stuff can be recovered softwares and movies and songs but the text files are still among those CHK files i have which are still more than Anyone have anything regarding this is more than Welcome to share their Knowledge Thanks

A:Windows "Scan and Fix Dialog Box" and ".CHK Files"

Sounds like checkdisk is running and finding a problem with a hard drive and attempting a repair

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/234506-windows-scan-fix-dialog-box-chk-files.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi,

I am running Windows 7, 64 bit.

This is the problem. When searching a folder, I am looking for all .cfg files. I can see at least 4 .cfg files in the folder, however, when I search *.cfg, it comes up with no results. I know this is not an error in Windows, and I feel as if I am overlooking something simple.

I see that .cfg files are tagged as "configuration" files and I assume Windows is trying to protect me. In reality, in this specific folder, these are broken files/un-completed download files from my download manager, Gigaget. I just want to remove these files in a specifc folder I have set up to house incoming downloads, so there's no risk of deleting anything important that my system would need.

Does anyone know how to rectify this dilemma.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Relevancy 84.28%

I am a rookie IT admin I got some sort of malware or worm that launches when some exe files infected ones are executed What happens after that an administrator account named illwill is created ALL exe files are inaccessible ie once launched a windows pops up titled quot svchost quot and saying run-time error File not found This applies when I try to access cmd regedit taskmgr or even system properties I managed a temporary solution logging on with illwill the newly created account - as it is the only account visible in the logon screen after restarting the computer - after removing its password using a tool from a bootable CD - then removing it from the user accounts then logging on with the previous accounts And for the exe file association I found a registry key in some forum that fixes the exe file association Here it is HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile quot Application quot quot EditFlags quot hex quot TileInfo quot quot prop FileDescription Company FileVersion "illwill" new user exe running not files all + quot quot InfoTip quot quot prop FileDescription Company FileVersion Create Size quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile DefaultIcon quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shell HKEY new user "illwill" + all exe files not running CLASSES ROOT exefile shell open quot EditFlags quot hex HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shell open command quot quot quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shell runas HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shell runas command quot quot quot quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shellex HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shellex DropHandler quot C - A - -A E - B D quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shellex PropertySheetHandlers HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shellex PropertySheetHandlers PEAnalyser quot A - F - d -B DF- F CA quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shellex PropertySheetHandlers PifProps quot F A - A - -A E - B D quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT exefile shellex PropertySheetHandlers ShimLayer Property Page quot D F- A E- F -AEAB- CBC FB AF quot Restarting the computer may render all other user accounts inaccessible from the logon screen having only illwill in the logon screen as I just said before But these infected exe files are still infected and I donot know if there s anything else that this malware does I found some trace of evidence that may help a batch file under C drive It is called filesetup bat Here it is echo off Cls echo Windows Registry Editor Version gt C filesetup reg echo gt gt C filesetup reg echo HKEY CLASSES ROOT jxe gt gt C filesetup reg echo quot exefile quot gt gt C filesetup reg echo quot Content Type quot quot application x-msdownload quot gt gt C filesetup reg echo quot ZAMailSafeExt quot quot zl quot gt gt C filesetup reg echo gt gt C filesetup reg echo HKEY CLASSES ROOT jxe PersistentHandler gt gt C filesetup reg echo quot f -bae - cd-b - b bfeb quot gt gt C filesetup reg regedit s C filesetup reg DEL q C filesetup reg exit Del I tried to analyze this but couldn t Any help would be really admired as these infected files are on our file server and I donot know if they are spreading Thank You nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-user-illwill-all-exe-files-not-running.605729/
Relevancy 83.85%

I'd like to assign a few select "domain users" to be local admin over their test machines which log into a domain. The test machines are Windows 7 64bit and the domain is Win2k8 R2. I have been searching around for the best way to do it but I've come up short on my search.

Anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks

A:Assigning "domain user" to "local admin" on select PCs

Create a new group in AD, for example, TestUsers
Add the required users to the group
Go round each machine and add the group as a member of local admins.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/47604-assigning-domain-user-local-admin-select-pcs.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I am going 'round & 'round with this issue. I log on as limited user account for security. However, when I am on that acct, I cannot copy files to the external HP drive - I have to switch over to the admin user account to do so. In order to use the limited account for this operation, I have read that you should disable simple file sharing, (on admin acct), then rt clik on the file u want to copy - this then opens a menu with security tab where you are supposed to be able to give full control to the limited acct for that file. My admin acct that brings up this menu has those boxes to check grayed out. Also, do you have to rt click and give full permission for any file that you want to copy? (once you have this all figured out) - Seems a bit cumbersome. Any ideas anyone?? Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-hp-pocket-media-drive-as-limited-user-not-admin.912069/
Relevancy 83.85%

Ok this is my third attempt after re-booting and re-booting This is my wife s Sony abt years old P WinXP HE k ram For a long time now it has been quot temperamental quot Among the latest is I can no longer quot switch user quot as normally Clicking Start log off switch user does absolutely nothing now it functions. "Switch Solved: no "Password"? longer User" merely reverts to the former screen Start log off log off does work however And the shortcut that I used to use the Win logo key L now goes to quot UNLOCK COMPUTER quot a pop-up message that tells me the pc is in use and locked and only I presumably as an administrator with the proper password can now unlock it Problem what the heck is the password We don t recall ever setting one Control Alt Delete does nothing here Once at this screen my only recourse is to reboot quot Cancel quot is greyed out I think though that a few days ago it wasn t and I could cancel Is that my faulty memory or is this thing getting worse A side note I did recently download and Solved: "Switch User" no longer functions. "Password"? utilize a reg cleaner freeware quot Regseeker quot which I used to delete only several items it said Solved: "Switch User" no longer functions. "Password"? were not used or broken links It also allegedly created a back-up before deletion but darned if I can see where or how I can get them back I also disabled thanks to another tech quot advice quot several services via Control Panel Administrative Solved: "Switch User" no longer functions. "Password"? Tools Services However that techie claims nothing I disabled in his list should affect this Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 83.42%

Hi I "User you not NOT what might privileges" access have - think does ve "User does not have access privileges" - NOT what you might think got a problem so annoying I re-imaged my computer in July All of a sudden the problem is back and I m about to scream I ve got Windows XL Dell PC about years old I ve got approx GB of memory is free on the c drive and another GB of memory I added last spring in partitions drives E F G The problem only seems to affect the c drive and only in my account my husband s account seems to be okay If I save something any type file from any program on my c drive I can open it no matter where it s located If I choose to save that file no matter what type in a new location I can still open it BUT if I drag and drop that file any type into a new location I can no longer open that file I get the following message quot Program name cannot open document user does not have access privileges path information quot Once it has been moved I also cannot delete it copy and paste it or move it from it s new location It makes organizing files and tidying my desktop impossible I m the administrator so I should have access to everything in theory If memory serves I finally had to log in as Administrator in Safe mode and permanently delete all of the files to get them out of my life I ended up making copies of everything I wanted to keep and saving it to one of the partitions so I could re-image without losing everything This problem seems to have reappeared in the last week or two The only possible thing I can imagine is that about two weeks ago I assigned a password to my account and I seem to remember my account being password protected at the time this nonsense happened last time I had never had a password before and I did not assign one when I re-imaged the computer so I thought perhaps that had something to do with it I pitched the password created a test document in Word and saved it on my desktop Then I drug and dropped the doc into another folder on the desktop I got the same stupid message again I went to microsoft using the link at the bottom of the error window but quot Currently there are no Office Assistance articles available for this error message quot Please tell me somebody knows how to solve this problem before I lose my flippin mind Many thanks to anyone who can assist me with this situation nbsp

A:"User does not have access privileges" - NOT what you might think

boot into safe mode, use an admin id

find the folder in question, TAKE OWNERSHIP (as admin)

then add read/write priv for your normal user id

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-does-not-have-access-privileges-not-what-you-might-think.93034/
Relevancy 83.42%

Whats going on? Everything time I try to extract the RAR to a folder in "Program Files" it says Access Denied and fails to copy...

A:Trying to Extract files to "Program Files" says Access Denied.

As a standard user you don't have access to that folder. You must the RAR extractor as an adminstrator.

When you go to start the RAR extraction, right click on it and select "Run as administrator"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/trying-to-extract-files-to-program-files-says-access-denied-452842.html
Relevancy 82.99%

update Just found out that most of ProgramData's cleared out too Yea can't really restore that stuff Didn't lose anything thanks to User" User" profiles? and Restore "All "Default my ocd filing system Sigh all nighter restoring my system here I come So now changing the focus please enlighten me as to how this happened Why did folders appear inside my quot oldwindows quot that had ties back to my active user account Why did deleting folders inside quot oldwindows quot specifically quot protected operating system files quot affect the active ones in C Users Why did some apps that I've installed only on this new image have files and folders inside the old Does Windows read everywhere for files and such Does putting old in folder names prevent this And how Restore "All User" and "Default User" profiles? do All Users Public and Default User work ------------------------------------------------------ Hi there I messed up really really bad Long long long story short I made the mistake of renaming my windows old file to oldwindows not to sure what I was thinking at the time Used quot take ownership quot to delete some Restore "All User" and "Default User" profiles? of the old files like the system folder and others quot Hide protected operating system files quot was unchecked when I was deleting things because of the above Windows ended up reading associating some files folders and services with the old user I think My permissions got screwed up Ended up with like or security permission profiles for some folders Not too Restore "All User" and "Default User" profiles? big of a deal didn't realize this at the time so I just used a couple of fixes here and there Today I went in and deleted more old stuff and I deleted the quot Default User quot and quot All User quot profiles inside the oldwindows folder among lots of other things that I just can't remember right now Didn't know they would be associated with my current user folder Now my C Users only has my current user and Public Kinda bad I just don't have the time to do a full re-install right now believe me I'm going to There's just a couple of things purchased programs with licensing windows update etc that I can't use right now because of those missing folders that I need So anyone know how to restore them And kindly describe their functionality too Thanks

A:Restore "All User" and "Default User" profiles?

Deleting stuff from windows.old folder doesn't affect the current win7 installation! Are you sure you changed permissions on windows.old only (or files within)? Only deleted stuff in windows.old?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/280155-restore-all-user-default-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,
Why do we get the option "Windows Updates. Important updates are available. Go to PC settings to install them" on the logon screen? Need to remove this option but without altering the update functionality. We are using SCCM for windows update.
Can you help how to remove it by GPO or any other option for large scale systems (5000+). At present the user cannot install the updates as it has been restricted. Attached the screen shot also.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f591fd1f-9b4b-484a-844f-cc26d2ec2161/reasons-for-quot-windows-updates-important-updates-are-available-go-to-pc-settings-to-install?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 82.56%

I just got done using the MS fix it tool to remedy the compress old files hang that occured when you used the disk clean up tool There were about k old files that no matter how many times you ran disk clean up they were never compressed as a matter of fact at times I would actually see an quot Increase quot in files listed in the compress old files line AFTER clean files old up? "compacting" Is same files" "compressing defrag in the in as disk I did selected quot compress old files quot clean So I used the MS fix it tool to solve the problem and you guessed it the tool removed the option for quot compress old Is "compacting" files in defrag the same as "compressing old files" in disk clean up? files quot Now it is no longer there MS states that they deleted this option to prevent the hang issue But this is why I want to know Is "compacting" files in defrag the same as "compressing old files" in disk clean up? whether these old files are actually being compressed when i use the defrag and it says quot compacting files quot Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Is "compacting" files in defrag the same as "compressing old files" in disk clean up?

Hi

The 'compressing files' referred to by a defragmenter is the process of moving the files it has put together to the start of the drive.

When defragmenting files, it moves the pieces of the file to an empty space further into the drive. Once it has done this to all the files, it moves them back to the start of the drive as this is generally the fastest part.

This doesn't compress files like the option in disk clean up.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/is-compacting-files-in-defrag-the-same-as-compressing-old-files-in-disk-clean-up-487058.html
Relevancy 82.56%

I have Windows XP Pro., sp3.

When you install a new program, what determines where it is listed: All Users>Start Menu>Programs or "user name">Start Menu>Programs?

reoneill

A:What determines if a program is installed under "All Users" or "user name"?

Usually some of the programs give you an option to install it under your user name or for all users during the setup process. So say if I was installing (CVTae) a resume programming on a Windows XP computer it will after the installation process ask me if I want to install it as all users (so it will show up on the all users start menu so everyone can see it) or just for me. That's where you can decide for yourself where you want to install it.

'So usually it's the user's choice of where it's listed in most cases, but certainly not in all cases.

Hope that helps mate.
Dan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-determines-if-a-program-is-installed-under-all-users-or-user-name.744798/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi All,

Is there an easy to "split" a 40 Gb user file area into ten 4 Gb "chunks", for the purpose of backing up onto ten DVDs? In other words, is there an easy way to copy a 40 Gb file area onto ten DVDs?

Operating System is Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit).

Thank you for your time and help,
Best regards,
James

A:"Splitting" 40 Gb user file system into ten 4 Gb "chunks"

Perhaps if you save to a FAT32 formatted partition.
This is automatically done by image backup software such as Macrium and Acronis.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/237706-splitting-40-gb-user-file-system-into-ten-4-gb-chunks.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi all,
I recently created a new user account on a win 7 home premium machine before I'd had much experience with win 7 (but years with 2000 and xp).
Instead of users\Roger\ it created users\user which I now realise is not correct. (I didn't call my account "user", either, before you ask. )
Can I fix this without deleting the profile and starting again, as I've done hours of work since that little stuff up.
Thanks in advance,
Roger.

A:Account "Roger" appears as "c:\users\user"

Roger I assuming you have tried change the account name in Control Panel??

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/319254-account-roger-appears-c-users-user.html
Relevancy 82.56%

So I have my entire hard drive backed up to an image file. I had to format and put a new hard drive in my machine. All is fine and dandy, but when I try to access my user's folder in "documents and settings" on the mounted "image" all I get is "access is denied" - anyone know how to fix this, or get around it?

A:Accessing a user's "documents and settings" when it's "protected"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-users-documents-and-settings-when-its-protected.397781/
Relevancy 82.56%

I recently built a call log database in Access for my team to use when calling agents on our top errors we see from a vendor s error report My boss is requesting a report to see how many items have been resolved I have a query started and I am trying to complete this task in a single query count Query: Return 2007 Access "Yes" M Solved: and values for of "No" Analyst/Report if possible instead of several queries as I ve Solved: Access 2007 Query: Return count of "Yes" and "No" values for Analyst/Report M done for a couple other things I have tables I m using Assignment AgtInfo and CallLog Joins as follows Assignment st AgtInfo agcy st AgtInfo agt id CallLog agt id Fields in the results Assignment assigned analyst CallLog rpt mnth CallLog resolved Resolved is a yes no field I ve done a query that converts the - to a so that the sum is a positive number for the quot Yes quot values I m not sure how to enter the expression to subract the quot Yes quot values from the total number of values yes no to get to my quot No quot count Essentially I d like the results to display as assigned analyst rpt mnth CountYes resolved CountNo resolved Somehow the connection is just not clicking in my brain with everything I ve read though searches Any help is appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Access 2007 Query: Return count of "Yes" and "No" values for Analyst/Report M

It is easier to add another column to counf the Nos, use
0 or is null
as the IIf statement and use a 1 to count them

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-access-2007-query-return-count-of-yes-and-no-values-for-analyst-report-m.1141703/
Relevancy 82.56%

OK fellow "computer-holics", here's a difficult one for ya. I have a user who e-mailed me the following:

"Ever since I downloaded Crystal Graphics' "PowerPlugs v 1.2" (powerpoint plugin software I purchased which allows for 3D motion graphics on slides), Microsoft Powerpoint won't allow me to access "Slide Color Scheme" or "Apply Design Template" from the format menu...."

I've tried completely removing Office, and re-installing it, but to no avail. I have yet to find an uninstaller for the "PowerPlugs" software, so I haven't tried that yet. (I wan't to save that as a "last-resort" anyway....even when I DO find an uninstaller). Does anyone know anything about the PowerPlugs software that could help out in this situation? Thanks in advance for any help.

A:Unable to access "Slide Color Scheme" or "Apply Design Template" in Powerpoint

I can only suggest that you use this form to contact the vendor of PowerPlugs:

http://www.crystalgraphics.com/main.support.asp

Whether you purchased it or not, it should certainly allow PowerPoint to continue to work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-access-slide-color-scheme-or-apply-design-template-in-powerpoint.178503/
Relevancy 82.56%

I manage the Networks for several companies remotely and not all users are computer friendly enough to know both their username and password, only their Password. So, when doing maintenance and I log on to a PC as an administrator or other user I will often
get a call the next day that their "password is not working" because it is using the last logged on user, which this time is me.

Is it possible in any way to set either a default domain user, or set it to a most often logged on model instead of the current last user or the alternative of prompting for user name every time?

ijerry

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/db8a182c-a93e-490e-ba99-dbe636d445ef/changing-from-a-quotlast-user-to-loginquot-to-quotdefault-userquot-login-prompt-model?forum=w8itprosecurity
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello I have an Asus Netbook P running Windows SP get - Network wifi get a also "connected" I connecting to - Access" "Unidentified caf Internet Although I When No at with Internet Explorer I am often but not always experiencing the When connecting to wifi at a caf - Although I get "connected" I also get - "Unidentified Network No Internet Access" following issue When I attempt to connect to Wifi at a caf the quot Wireless Network Connection quot for the Network shows quot Connected quot yet there When connecting to wifi at a caf - Although I get "connected" I also get - "Unidentified Network No Internet Access" is no Internet access Placing the nbsp pointer over the Connection icon in the Notification Area displays quot Unidentified Network No Internet Access quot The network in question always has an SSID shown in the Wireless Network Connection list This issue occurs whether I am running only the Windows firewall or am only running the firewall that I prefer which is Comodo For antivirus I have Avast Pro with its quot web shield quot currently disabled and so far as this issue is concerned it makes no difference whether this Avast component is enabled or disabled or whether I disable all Avast Shields When this issue occurs there are often other customers in the caf nbsp connected to the caf wifi and also using the Internet I have to ask the caf to reset or turn off and then turn back on their router nbsp yet other customers do not have to do this to get Internet connection This is the issue at whatever caf to whose Wifi I attempt to connect Please help with a solution to this issue Regards Robert

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d18050f-7c31-4f0f-92d1-8039e0225061/when-connecting-to-wifi-at-a-caf-although-i-get-quotconnectedquot-i-also-get-?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 82.13%

I added a slave drive to my Windows XP Pro computer and it appears to work properly However when I open the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive E which is Windows XP Home Edition Slave Folder Settings" Solved: drive Denied" "Access and on "Documents -- not XP Pro I do not see any of my documents sub-folders etc There should be MANY sub-folders inside the quot My Documents quot folder which isn t even visible with hundreds of documents jpgs etc Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder within it When that drive is installed as the Primary drive in my other computer the User quot Larry Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder quot which is me has all Administrative privileges On the computer that I m running now with the slave drive in it I also have Administrator privileges I own both computers My User Name quot Larry quot is password-protected when I login to Windows when the drive is Primary and installed into my main computer not this computer with XP Pro I ve tried clicking on all the users Administrator Default User Larry Guest etc Note I get an quot Access Denied quot error when clicking on the Guest quot Documents and Settings quot folder So the questions are Why can t I see any files or subdirectories in the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive There s supposed to be a folder named quot My Documents quot but I can t find it Normally that path is quot C Documents and Settings My Documents quot --- Where is that folder It contains all the files I m looking for Do I have to put the drive back into the other computer and then change something before putting it into this computer or can I change something in this computer to access the folders I m really confused Old Fart Larry nbsp

A:Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder

Follow the directions here to take ownership of a file or folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-access-denied-on-documents-and-settings-folder.935997/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hello I have an Asus Netbook P running Windows SP with Internet Explorer I am often but not always experiencing the following issue When I attempt to connect to Wifi at a caf the quot Wireless Network Connection quot for the Network shows quot Connected quot yet there is no caf a Network although also - get No I When "connected" - Access" connecting at Internet "Unidentified to wifi Internet access Placing the nbsp pointer over the Connection icon in When connecting to wifi at a caf - although "connected" I also get - "Unidentified Network No Internet Access" the Notification Area displays quot Unidentified Network No Internet Access quot The network in question always has an SSID shown in the Wireless Network Connection list This issue occurs whether I am running only the Windows firewall or am only running the firewall that I prefer which is Comodo For antivirus I have Avast Pro with its quot web shield quot currently disabled and so far as this issue When connecting to wifi at a caf - although "connected" I also get - "Unidentified Network No Internet Access" is concerned it makes no difference whether this Avast component is enabled or disabled or When connecting to wifi at a caf - although "connected" I also get - "Unidentified Network No Internet Access" whether I disable all Avast Shields When this issue occurs there are often other customers in the caf nbsp connected to the caf wifi and also using the Internet I have to ask the caf to reset or turn off and then turn back on their router nbsp yet other customers do not have to do this to get Internet connection This is the issue at whatever caf to whose Wifi I attempt to connect Please help with a solution to this issue Regards Robert

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0d18050f-7c31-4f0f-92d1-8039e0225061/when-connecting-to-wifi-at-a-caf-although-quotconnectedquot-i-also-get-quotunidentified?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 82.13%

hey ok so about weeks ago ive been noticing that any cd i burn half of the cd would be un readable so for example sense access additional and "no Probs denied" (000000)" information Burner "D:\ if i were to try burning a sond cd i would only "D:\ access denied" and "no additional sense information (000000)" Burner Probs be able to listen to songs up to song or so and the rest of the songs were showing up on my cd player screen but no sounds would follow so ive tried the usuall stuff here first did a scan with adaware se and spybot and then i un installed then re installed my cd burners drivers and tested the burnign out on nero once more no success at all so heres my nero log maybe u guys can find something thanks Drive Information ----------------- "D:\ access denied" and "no additional sense information (000000)" Burner Probs Drive LITE-ON LTR- S Type CD-RW Recorder Firmware Version QS C Buffer Size MB Date Serial Number Drive Letter F Location Mechanism Tray Read Speed X Write Speed X Read CD Text Yes Return C Pointers Yes Read CD-R Yes Read CD-RW Yes Read DVD-ROM No Read DVD-RAM No Read DVD-R No Read DVD-RW No Read DVD R No Read DVD RW No Read Digital Audio Yes Read CD G Yes Read VideoCD Yes Write CD-R Yes Write CD-RW Yes Write DVD-R No Write DVD-RW No Write DVD R No Write DVD RW No Write DVD-RAM No Buffer Underrun Protection No Mount Rainier Yes Modes Packet TAO DAO SAO RAW SAO RAW SAO RAW SAO RAW DAO RAW DAO Disc Information F ------------------- Type - no disc inserted - Capacity MB Tracks Sessions CD-R W Info CMC Magnetics CD-R Drive Information ----------------- Drive Generic DVD-ROM Type DVD-ROM Drive Firmware Version Buffer Size KB Date Serial Number Drive Letter D Location Mechanism Tray Read Speed X Write Speed n a Read CD Text Yes Return C Pointers Yes Read CD-R Yes Read CD-RW Yes Read DVD-ROM Yes Read DVD-RAM Yes Read DVD-R Yes Read DVD-RW Yes Read DVD R Yes Read DVD RW Yes Read Digital Audio Yes Read CD G Yes Read VideoCD Yes Write CD-R No Write CD-RW No Write DVD-R No Write DVD-RW No Write DVD R No Write DVD RW No Write DVD-RAM No Buffer Underrun Protection No Mount Rainier No Modes n a Region Protection Control RPC II Region None Changes User Changes Vendor Disc Information D ------------------- Type - no disc inserted - Interface Information --------------------- Adapter --------- Description Primary IDE Channel Driver Description System DRIVERS atapi sys Company n a Version n a Description n a Attached Devices Description Master WDC WD JB- ETA Type Disk Drive DMA Off Adapter --------- Description Secondary IDE Channel Driver Description System DRIVERS atapi sys Company n a Version n a Description n a Attached Devices Description Master LITE-ON LTR- S Type CD-Rom Drive DMA Off Autorun On Adapter --------- Description D PRT SCSI Controller Driver Description System Drivers d prt sys Company Version built by WinDDK Description SCSI miniport Attached Devices Description ID Generic DVD-ROM Type CD-Rom Drive Autorun On Software Information -------------------- Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack ASPI Win Nero Aspi Library Ahead Software AG Description Nero - Burning Rom Version Company Ahead Software AG Driver Information ------------------ Driver ACPI Description ACPI Driver for NT Version xpsp sp rtm - Company Microsoft Corporation Driver aeaudio Description Andrea Audio Noise Cancellation Driver Version Company Andrea Electronics Corporation Driver ati mtag Description ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver Version Company ATI Technologies Inc Driver audstub Description AudStub Driver Version XPClient - Company Microsoft Corporation Driver Cdfs Description CD-ROM File System Driver Version xpsp sp rtm - Company Microsoft Corporation Driver Cdrom Description SCSI CD-ROM Driver Version xpsp sp rtm - Company Microsoft Corporation Driver d bus Description PnP BIOS Extension Version built by WinDDK Company Driver d prt Description SCSI mini... Read more

A:"D:\ access denied" and "no additional sense information (000000)" Burner Probs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/d-access-denied-and-no-additional-sense-information-000000-burner-probs.312483/
Relevancy 82.13%

Hi, in the "Quick access" window it currently shows the 20 most recently opened files. I would like to increase that number to something around 40 or 50. I'm guessing I'll have to do this through the registry, but I don't know where. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/48473-increase-number-recent-files-show-quick-access.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I used to be able to open Command Prompt and use commands like "attrib", "comp", and others while in any folder.

For some reason, now I have to go into the SYSTEM32 folder to access them.

What code am I supposed to add to get things back to the way that they used to be?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dos-prompt-no-longer-able-to-access-system32-files-from-any-folder-320219.html
Relevancy 82.13%

I have used WinDirStat to verify "unknown" 40gb cannot drive and on my access C [SOLVED] I of them files they are there in limbo and then used file scavenger to actually identify them It amounts to me having had [SOLVED] 40gb of "unknown" files on my C drive and I cannot access them a virus and reinstalling my OS When I did it left the original C drive data in tact and [SOLVED] 40gb of "unknown" files on my C drive and I cannot access them started [SOLVED] 40gb of "unknown" files on my C drive and I cannot access them a whole other separate area for the new OS For instance my entire itunes library is there - some ten gigs In fact when I reinstalled itunes it somehow read the original library but did not have access to the files exclamation point next to each song So somehow it had access to the listing but not the files themselves But I CANNOT no matter what I have tried get to the previous files and delete them There is still only one C partition it did not create a new one I have tried file shredder as well as WDS to clean them up - but all the clean options are grayed out I have also disabled and removed all restore points I have tried these things in safe mode as well HALP I dont wanna do a completely fresh install if I can help it Thank you in advance

A:[SOLVED] 40gb of "unknown" files on my C drive and I cannot access them

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-40gb-of-and-quot-unknown-and-quot-files-on-my-c-drive-and-i-cannot-access-them-466768.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Anyone tried deleting a registry key in Windows nbsp Got quot access denied quot or quot Error while deleting key quot The usual response is key" deleting ADMIN! or Permissions -"Access AS while Denied" "Error EVEN Regedit quot You need to run regedit as an administrator quot nbsp but I AM logged in as Administrator and running regedit as administrator trying to assign administrator full permissions on that registry key in order to delete it nbsp Am I mistaken or isn't Regedit Permissions -"Access Denied" or "Error while deleting key" EVEN AS ADMIN! Administrator supposed to be able to administer and control all the settings on the computer in order to set it up for the quot Average Joe quot user So under the permissions menu of that key go to advanced change the owner from System to Administrator and try again nbsp It's no longer saying quot access denied quot but quot Cannot delete xxxxxx Error while deleting key quot The scenario Basically the wireless has stopped working on a laptop The device does not show up in Device Manager but is in the registry so the normal procedure is to delete the registry entry for the device in HKLM System CurrentControlSet and ControlSet Enum PCI nbsp nbsp then attach the device or restart the computer it finds the quot new quot hardware and reinstalls it Easy Not with permission restrictions on the administrator account it's not nbsp So I need to give myself permission to give myself permission to do a simple task like delete a single registry key nbsp Why Microsoft why nbsp Please just make the Administrator account a hidden quot God mode quot account that can do anything and make the lives of us techies much easier in the process nbsp RANT Now where did I put that XP disc

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56fed319-a532-46a4-a384-fd795998c4a3/regedit-permissions-quotaccess-deniedquot-or-quoterror-while-deleting-keyquot-even-as?forum=w7itproinstall