Windows Support Forum

Hard drive burning smell

Q: Hard drive burning smell

Ok I had a virus on my pc a few days ago and burning smell drive Hard through my negligence I waited too long to run a full system Hard drive burning smell check and on restarting the pc it wouldnt go into windows just a black screen with the mouse cursor Anyway no big deal most of my stuff is saved on an external So I pluged my hdd as a slave into another computer to run a virus scan it took out a lot of files and when I pluged it back it it had the same problem so I figured what the hell time for a fresh install anyways Now today I was going to Hard drive burning smell xfer my files that I had on there to my external and pluged the gimped drive into a recently purchased enclosure NSP-E upon firing it up the HDD began to make a lot of noise as it began to spin thought it was just it starting up but then I smelt a electric fire smell and quickly shut it off Upon inspection It was coming from the HDD Just recently I tested it on my other pc installing it internally it imediatly began making the same noise so I shut down again What just happened and is Hard drive burning smell there any recovering nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hard drive burning smell

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Hard drive burning smell

Actually it's very strange. The Hard Drive is a sealed unit
Are you sure nothing was touching it? But if its making a bad noise anyway, I's say it's shot, gone, ded, and done.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-burning-smell.127573/
Relevancy 70.52%

Burning Smell

I am running a HP a600n, Win XP Home, 512 MB Ram, AMD 2700.

Today I started to smell something that resembles buring plastic. I could smell it coming out of the back of my PC and the power cord was somewhat hot to the touch. Not too hot to touch just hotter than I thought it should be. Anyway I opened up my PC and my video card is pretty hot. It is an old card, nvida 64mb, that I have been running for about a year, after being retired for several years. Are video cards usually hot to the touch? I thought it might be my power supply but that does have an overbearing smell and it is not hot to the touch. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Am I hurting my PC by running it and is my video card the possible culprit? Thanks in advance for your help.

Relevancy 70.52%

I noticed a faint burning smell in my PC so I checked the temperature and it read 50C not under load. So i decided to install my Asus Probe and I keep getting this flashing and beeping sound warning me that +12V out of threshold It's at 13,696V how do I get it down to normal???

Relevancy 70.52%

Hi Guys am starting to smell somthing like burning rubber not realy sure if its rubber when i on the pc there is no smell what so ever but when i run MW3 at full Graphics the smell starts so what is this smell ? is it the video card ?

A:Burning Smell

The chances are that one of the fans is burning up at high RPM. It could be the video card, heatsink, case, or even the power supply fan in that order. Isn't the smell more of an electricity related smell?

The chances of you getting burned in MW3 is discounted

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/265138-burning-smell.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I have an HP Media Center m7480. I use it for my music, TV, and Movie entertainment. It has been great until about a week ago. There is now a electrical "hot" smell coming from the unit located at the top rear of the machine (main power cord plugs into it as well). The system still works, it just smells hot now. I dusted and cleared some potential ventilation issues, but I am sure the damage is already done and just need to replace what is burned.

I am a beginning Computer guy and would like to fix it myself. Do I need to replace that entire upper unit or can I find the exact piece that may be getting hot and replace it.

Also, what may be the best options to keep them from heating up so much in the future (other than better cleaning and dusting practices).

A:Burning smell

If it is continuous then you need to replace power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell.673356/
Relevancy 70.52%

hi, recently i hooked up my new 42" hdtv to my pc via hdmi cable. about 2 days after i smelled a burning smell coming from my pc.i cant exactly tell where its coming from. i would suspect the power supply or video card. i shut my pc off for a day and then started it up again. still smelled the burning smell but not as bad. did the tv make my video card use too much power or overheat it? any ideas? specs

windows7 homepremium 64bit
ultra lsp 650w p/s
xfx radeon 5750 hd 1 gb ddr3
4gb corsair ddr3 memory

A:burning smell from pc

Most likely coincidence.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell-from-pc.1082625/
Relevancy 70.52%

Well I was installing 4 more case fans ( not attached to my fan controller) next to my video card because I was overclocking it some. After I got done I plugged everything back in and booted my computer up. All my case fans started spinning fine then all of the sudden my cathode lights flicker and I immidiately unplugged the power from the tower. I then smelled a faint burning smell and a crackling noise, kind of like a monitor when you plug it in. Will overloading a power supply fry everything or will it just not work? WHen I was picking my computer up and putting it back on my desk I think i bent one of the cathode lights (would that short it out, then in turn short out my fan controller?).

Please note that I know for a fact that it was not my video card that caused the problem.

Relevancy 70.52%

I smelt someting burning from the system case. While pc was on, the fan from the power supply was not turning. It is an antec power supply. The pc runs good, no sound or anything else. the power supply is new, so it's not dirty. Why is this?

Relevancy 70.52%

For about a year and a half I have been running a Radeon on my machine but about a month ago I switched it out for a GTX The very first time the new card was under load I began to smell what I thought at the time was burnt dust as the GTX runs pretty hot under load The smell was a bit annoying and even abrasive enough to give me Burning Odd Smell Please -Help a scratchy throat during a prolonged gaming Odd Burning Smell -Help Please session thought it was in my head Fast forward about a month and the smell has only gotten worse I ve since cleaned out my case but that didn t help The GPU does run hot and the smell seemed to be originating from it so I put my Radeon back in to check and see if that would solve the problem It didn t the smell persisted Sniffing around my machine the smell seems to be coming from my PSU which made sense as the GTX requires a bit more power than the Radeon but I was under the impression that if a PSU was burning out or failing my PC wouldn t run and it was running just fine Basically I want to know if I should replace the PSU It s an Watt ATX PSU by Cyberpower I didn t think they made their own components Could that be the source of the smell or should I try something else first At V it says it runs A which should be enough to run the GTX just fine Any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 69.66%

My HP Pavilion Slimline s less than years old practically caught fire this morning nbsp I turned it on started it up and within minutes smoke came out the back and this horrible burning smell filled the air nbsp I turned the PC off and now it won't turn Burning Smell, Smoke back on nbsp The green nbsp Burning Smell, Smoke light does go on in the back when I connect it to the power supply but it does not start at all nbsp I opened up the side of the tower Burning Smell, Smoke and something in there definitely fried although I can't see exactly what it is nbsp It reeks of melted plastic and ash inside nbsp Tower was kept on top of a table completely out in the open nbsp So ventilation was more than adequate nbsp And as late as last night I still heard the fans going nbsp So those were fine as far as I know nbsp Motherboard looks OK too nbsp nbsp This is the first time I have ever had to replace a PC in such a short time frame And I bought an HP assuming it was a quality product nbsp Boy was I wrong nbsp The darn thing didn't even last TWO YEARS What a piece of junk nbsp Of course HP support tells me it will probably cost a few hundred dollars to send it to them to fix nbsp And Geek Squad wants just to look at it and diagnose the problem plus whatever parts and additional labor it takes to fix it nbsp Something in there will need to be replaced for sure nbsp So I may as well go buy a new tower nbsp Which nbsp of course will NOT be an HP nbsp nbsp And let's not even get started on what a pain in the neck it was to get the hard drive out so Burning Smell, Smoke I can have Geek Squad retrieve my files nbsp I practically had to rip the thing apart and my hands are covered in cuts from nbsp trying to squeeze my hands in there nbsp HP - you really need to make a better product nbsp Because you just lost a customer nbsp

A:Burning Smell, Smoke

Hello JOBeans0817, I am going to forward your thread to the appopriate team for review. No matter the age of the machine it shouldn't reach a point of smoking when turned on if it has been kept in good condition.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Burning-Smell-Smoke/td-p/1856539
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey,So I've been dealing with my laptop smelling like burning plastic every time I use it. I don't have it plugged it to charge and it smells. The bottom is real hot to touch even though I give it room to cool.I've had other problems with it and was wondering if I could return it or do something about it. I've had the laptop less the one year.

A:Burning plastic Smell

#HPExpertDayTurn off the computer, unplug all attached cables and call HP Support ASAP.Not kidding...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Burning-plastic-Smell/td-p/5624575
Relevancy 69.66%

Updated memory on Diemension dell 1100. Put the sticks in wrong way. Turned on, no action
but a burning smell. Powered down and inserted chips correctly. PC ok now but would there have been any
permanent damage and is there a remote risk of the PC going on fire ?

A:Burning smell upgrading RAM

It's hard to see without me seeing it personally. If it's working OK now I'd continue to use it as normal. However obviously they're not designed to work with backwards memory hehe.

I'd do a backup of your data just in case, and then keep an eye on things and see how it goes. I doubt the machine will catch on fire. Check the motherboard for any signs of blown capacitors or scorch marks maybe?

Can't remember the last time I dealt with improperly installed memory and then tried to boot so sorry I can't offer up more suggestions.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-smell-upgrading-ram.163931/
Relevancy 69.66%

Updated memory on Diemension dell 1100. Put the sticks in wrong way. Turned on, no action
but a burning smell. Powered down and inserted chips correctly. PC ok now but would there have been any
permanent damage and is there a remote risk of the PC going on fire ?

A:Burning smell upgrading ram

Well if it still works it probaly just got hot without burning anything out. Now that they are in correctly there should not by any more risk of fire than otherwise. Some component may have weakened and not last as long now however.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell-upgrading-ram.991750/
Relevancy 69.66%

two years ago I built a PC for my uncle, a Gigabyte mobo, OCZ ram, XFX 8600GT, Core2Duo and a 425watt HiPER PSU

after 18 months he reported burning smell coming from the PSU....

what could this have been do you think?

he replaced it with an unbranded type from PC world that cost about 40 after I told him to stay away from cheap ones... I got the HiPER as I was under the impression they were a 'half' decent brand and would have done for his system....

its just im worried if its something else causing it and will it happen again with new one? - although cheap it looked sturdy with a 12cm fan

Relevancy 69.66%

So I burning smell laptop have a compaq presario f laptop I always use the laptop on burning laptop smell a hard desk surface without clothes or stuff like that in the way Starting about - years ago it sometimes heated so much that it would shut off in the middle of operating It still does that now I then made sure to stack some books on the table and place the laptop on it or place in on my lap to increase the heat transfer by convection Sometimes it STILL would shut off if I leave it on for burning laptop smell a few hours and run lots of programs Anyways I began noticing more recently can't remember when could be a burning laptop smell few months or a year ago that it would sometimes give off a burning smell if I run a lot of programs I was too lazy to do anything about it since other than it running slowly there weren't any serious problems But now I've finally decided I may want to take some action I dont know where the heating and burning smell come from When the laptop gets hot its like that everywhere when I touch the bottom I tried disassembling the laptop and didn't notice any parts that seemed burnt but I've only removed the cover on the bottom I can see one of the fans and it appears really dusty I would have to continue disassembling to see all the other parts But to continue working I need to get remove the mm hex studs on one of the parts I checked a few nearby stores even Home Depot but none of them has it But a local computer repair store could remove it Is it worth it I don't feel comfortable with someone touching my laptop

A:burning laptop smell

hi there

it sounds to me that the main cooling fan has become inefficient, usually due to build up of dust and hair etc, stopping it revolving to cool well enough or even stopping it completely

i would say that you need to at least get the fan out and clean it, then reassemble and ensure its kicking in as it should by listening for activity from it or leaving the cover off, booting up the machine and watching for the fan movement

however if you have any doubts about doing this yourself, i'd definitely get it looked at professionally, a reputable repair company should easily be able to find the issue and responsibly sort it, overheating is one of the most common laptop hardware faults and as such is likely to be their bread and butter :-)

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/289830-burning-laptop-smell.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hey guys So I was using my computer yesterday when it randomly shut off When I tried to turn it back on nothing was appearing on the monitor smell not starting/burning Comp I could hear the hard drive and fans spinning but there was no display After i tried to turn it back on my room smelled strongly of something electronic burning and i quickly shut it off Earlier today I tried to turn it on again The monitor was working this time and it tried to start windows in safe mode About seconds Comp not starting/burning smell into the Windows XP loading screen i smelled something burning again and the computer shut itself off on its own Anyone have any idea what s going on and or how to fix it My best guess would be a bad power supply but my knowledge of computer hardware is pretty slim so some input from people who know what they re doing would be nice before i go out and start spending money Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Comp not starting/burning smell

Hi,

First view would be Power Supply, then either the fan on your graphics card or the graphics card itself.

It could be the monitor though, to eiagnose this. Try the computer with a different monitor and monitor with a different computer.

hth

Ceri

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/comp-not-starting-burning-smell.528893/
Relevancy 68.8%

I just installed a new Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450 ATX12V 450W Power Supply in my computer 2 days ago. Now I am noticing a faint burning smell. I opened up the case while it is running and see no problem with the wires or connections. The smell specifically comes from the power supply fan on the back of the case. Is this normal or is the power supply faulty? I'm hoping its just some residue burning off and it will go away, don't really feel like replacing it again.....Anyone have any ideas?

Relevancy 68.8%

Hi everyone Appreciate any PC now up - power - won't smell Desktop burning initial insights on this Was online using a VOIP program as well as playing an online game Smelled a burning smell and then the computer just shut down About a week before that for the very first time my computer took a while to restart Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now just hanging on the windows logo screen I had to shut it down and reboot and everything was fine No updates were being installed at the time Not sure if it was related but it was the first time this machine had done that This machine was built in late June of So far Tried a new PSU with it Corsair AX platinum Tested the voltage on the CMOS battery popped it out for a few minutes tested it Tested the old PSU listed below with the green wire test No obvious damage on the mobo but currently about to start taking my build apart and taking a closer look at everything Specs Seasonic M II SS- AM W ATX V EPS V SLI Ready PLUS Bronze PSU EVGA ACX Cooler GeForece GTX R PCI Express SLI Support ASUS Z -PRO Wi-Fi ac LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now Gb s USB ATX Intel mobo Crucial Ballistix Sport GB x GB -pin DDR SDRAM DDR Intel Core i - K haswell Quad-Core GHz LGA W Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now Crucial M GB SATA SS drive WD Blue TB hard drive rpm SATA Gb s MB cache Samsung SATA Gb- optical drive Cooler Master Hyper EVO-CPU cooler with mm PWM Fan Windows System Builder OEM bit Thanks in advance for the help nbsp

A:Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now

Additionally, the little power button on the mobo is red lit when plugged into the PSU. No beeps when trying to turn it on. Fans don't run either. Speaker is installed on the mobo. When I do try and power up the machine after hooking up the PSU, I do hear a faint click, but nothing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-pc-burning-smell-wont-power-up-now.1156045/
Relevancy 68.8%

Last night I bought a new DellXPS13 and this morning turned it on. It has a plastic smell after booting it up that caused my nose to burn. When I started charging it it had a slight burning smell, never had this experience with other new laptops in the past. Some say this is normal and will stop in a few days and some say I should return it. Any input?

A:New Dell XPS13 burning smell

i would return it - I would not expect a burning smell

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-dell-xps13-burning-smell.1166992/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello,
I dropped my pc the other day (a 2005 Dell Dimension 3000 stock), and then when I would start it, it would turn off 2 seconds to 10 minutes later. when rebooted it would say 'turned off due to themal error" then one time it did some scan thing and said drive was dirty and did a long start up scan... then later I turned it on and smelt burning from the psu. i took it out and inspected it and it looked ok, put it back in now it won't even turn on and a orange light flashes. Is the problem that i need a new psu?
should i buy one on ebay, they are only $20. also is a dimesion 2100 psu the same as a 3000? b/c one is for sale that comes with other items i need.
thanks for the help! I'm pretty newbie to computers sorry...

A:Dropped PC, won't start.. burning smell.. psu?

A lot of things could have happened. Reseat all cards, cables. Hard drives are subject to shock and given enough jolt can damage it permanently. See if there is anything rattling. Read the no p.o.s.t. guide in he guides forum.

PCs are delicate. A big enough drop can seriously damage components.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dropped-pc-wont-start-burning-smell-psu.79406/
Relevancy 68.8%

I was playing a video game last night for only 45 minutes when my computer automatically rebooted on me. Next, I smelt a burning smell. It smelt like burning rubber. Next, I heard an electrical "popping" sound. I immediately unplugged my computer. I play this video game all the time and for much longer periods than 45 minutes, so I found all of this VERY odd. This morning, I plugged everything back in and tried to turn it on, but absolutely nothing happens. It is totally dead...not even the fan or hard drive tries to start up. Any suggestions as to what's wrong? I HOPE it's just the power supply in my computer and not something more expensive to fix...

A:Solved: I smelt a burning smell...

Sounds like a failed power supply. They aren't overly hard to swap out, but you need to make sure you get the correct type. And one with a bit more wattage.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-i-smelt-a-burning-smell.774597/
Relevancy 68.8%

i upgraded my computer a couple days ago i had and somthing gig hardrives to begin with and hot/burning after smell upgrade Solved: i added a terrebite one i also upgraded my graphics card from an nvidia Geforce to a gt and replaced one of my mb ram with a gig one i wont be replacing the other one till i get the part they gave me the second Solved: hot/burning smell after upgrade one as laptop by mistake now within - min of starting my system there is a hot burning electronics smell i was wondering what would cause this the system does not shut itself down it still runs fine just im afraid of it ruining somthing or Solved: hot/burning smell after upgrade starting a fire original system was hp pavilion elite m f http h www hp com ewfrf wc amp lc en amp dlc en amp cc us amp product amp lang en i added Seagate sata quot Barracuda internal hardrive TB mb CACH rpm Nvidia Geforce GT GB DDR PNY GB DDR PC - Optima Memory nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

Burning smell from tower and then nothing else works it wont even start

A:burning smell from tower now nothing works

Sounds like a bad power supply, also, check all the wires to see if there is any damage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-smell-from-tower-now-nothing-works.50882/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I have a backup pc with the following hardware CPU Intel Core Duo E GHz RAM GB DDR Dual Channel MHz Motherboard Asus P Q Pro GPU Ati Radeon HD X MHz MHz HDD GB rpm case fans power leds xDVDs ROM Powered by a NILOX W PSU Since I changed my GPU from a GeForce GTS to an HD X I noticed that my PSU makes a strange noise similar to an electrical quot beep quot when i use games or other applications which make the GPU work at high performance Today I launched GPU-Z's render test in fullscreen mode and after minutes hearing the quot beep quot from the PSU I also noticed that it was really hot and I noticed a light burning smell Immediatly I turned off my pc What should I smell burning PSU strange from noise and do now Should I replace the PSU with a new and better one I don't want to burn my pc the PSU has got only A at V

A:strange noise and burning smell from PSU

That PSU is horrible.. no offense. I would have -never- trusted that GPU to such a weak PSU. I was barely able to find information about it online.

Change it asap.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/280284-strange-noise-burning-smell-psu.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello!
I recived a brand new computer yesterday.upon opening the box, i felt a burning smell like a wire has been burning or a circuit has been fried.At first i ignored it but now im getting worried.The computer has been on for 15 hours or so with a 2 hour break and it wont go away.Any ideas?

Also a question about the PSU.On it, there is the on/off switch, but theres also a small black switch that i can regulate.what is it for?right now its on mid.

A:Brand New Computer, burning smell

Return it for an exchange or refund. Why take a chance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/214680-brand-new-computer-burning-smell.html
Relevancy 67.94%

PC & Burning Case Power Switch smell PC Problem Hi I recently built a new PC for a family member but I have one problem the old motherboard fried due to a power surge couple of days back I refitted a new motherboard but am having problems with the Case Power Switch I know where is goes on the motherboard but not which way I know which is plus and minus on the motherboard but can identify which PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell is which on the wire at the back of the wire it has a small arrow on one side and nothing on the other Normally I have a sheet which identifies the plus and minus that come with the case PC Problem On another PC which I have built for someone else I could smell burning and I can t identify what is wrong I have built a few PC s but first time this has happened could it just be because its a new motherboard Thanks in Advance nbsp

A:PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell

Case power switches, reset switches have no polarity needs. Plug them in anyway you want. Burning smells coming from computers is never a "normal" or good thing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-case-power-switch-burning-smell.119443/
Relevancy 67.94%

Okay I need some help Two days ago I walked over to my computer and it had apparently shut itself down I tried to turn it on again but got zero response At this point my keyboard and other items connected to the tower Showed power I then hit the dedicated on off switch on Solved: Random shutdown. smell. Burning the psu and there was no power to anything Fast forward to today and out of boredom I hit the power switch and it turns on like there was never a problem except now there s a very bad burning smell coming out Solved: Random shutdown. Burning smell. from it and I am unable to identify the source It has a new motherboard in it about months Solved: Random shutdown. Burning smell. old and it doesn t seem to have any problems I m thinking that its perhaps a bad psu or potentially my graphics card burning up The psu is an ultra watt and the graphics card is an xfx geforce gso They are both original and about years old Thanks for any help Okay well I changed out the power supply Burning smell is gone Starts up Except my monitor is no longer getting signal Wonderful Is it possible that the old psu burnt out my brand new motherboard Is there something I did wrong that could cause this I installed a corsair gs Bigger then the old one ugh please help nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

I was on my desktop computer last night when it randomly shut down and I could smell burning but I was not sure where it was coming from.

I found that the graphics card was hot but this is not unusual, my PSU was hot but I don't usually check this and the heatsink felt fine apart from the CPU metal contact. I had recently replaced the heatsink as I broke the former when trying to clean it. I do could not see any visual signs of damage but I wasn't able to remove the PSU from the motherboard (but it has been there for 3+ years).

I could not tell where the burning was coming from.

My specifications are:

Intel Q9300
Nvidia Geforce GTX 280
Tagan 400W PSU
ASUS P5Q (vanilla)

How do I best approach this?

Cheers,

Doraku

A:My computer randomly shut down and I could smell burning

The recommended PSU for a Geforce GTX 280 is a 550 watt power supply so you've been stressing that unit way past its limit, so I would start by replacing the power supply with a high quality, higher wattage unit. We recommend the Corsair TX 650 quite a lot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-randomly-shut-down-and-i-could-smell-burning.1036583/
Relevancy 67.94%

My PC ASUS P G with G RAM nVidia FX AGP graphics card Compro TV Tuner Card XP Pro SP Background Last Wednesday i installed a new TV Tuner Card System was Smell, Screen Burning Freezing & PC Black fine til about days ago The problem The other day i was working on my PC and started smelling a mild electrical burning smell The smell faded before i could figure out what it is but came Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing back again about minutes later followed closely by my system freezing and my monitor going black I Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing had to pull the power cord out the back of the system to turn it Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing off After a few minutes i turned it back on again and it appeared to boot fine About minutes after using it the same thing happened again and the screen went black At this point i figured the problem was most probably my AGP Card so i got the case apart and took it out After changing my monitor back to the on-board graphics SiS chipset the system appeared to boot fine again I used it for probably hrs of use after this and was thinking the problem was solved until this morning when i smelt that burning smell again followed by the entire system freezing up This time though the screen did NOT go black so i assume the onboard graphics are ok still At this point today i removed the TV Tuner card rebooted and it loaded fine I ve not used it much this this happened I m not sure what actually caused these problems or if they are more serious than they appear Notes I have looked at the AGP card amp the TV Tuner card for marks or signs of burns and neither have them The problems all started days after i installed the TV Tuner Card in PCI Slot Is it possible that the TV Card was the catalyst of the problems and has actually caused damage to the AGP Card Does anybody have any insight into this type of problem nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

I put in a little GT 610 graphics card about a week ago and everything has been fine since, I get up this morning and now there is the smell of burning dust coming from my computer.

I opened up the case, checked the fans, checked all the hardware, checked for burnt items on the motherboard and all seem to be in order, I checked what temps of things i could with the speccy program and all are in the normal range.

The computer is running fine, no slow downs or anything, can anyone suggest to me something else to look for, the smell of burning dust is quite strong though not overwhelming by any means.

Thanks
TC

A:smell of burning dust coming from computer

Hello TC,

Have you already gave the inside of your case a good cleaning and blowing out any dust?

How does the PSU look? Don't open the PSU because it can electrocute you even when unplugged. Only look through the grill.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/47119-smell-burning-dust-coming-computer.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I have a month old laptop that has a burning smell when I boot it up. It works fine and the smell quickly goes away, but it is bothersome.

A:burning smell Inspiron 15 3000 series

Hi xine48,
Please run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.
http://dell.to/164l6g4
Also, let us know from which part of the system you get the burning smell.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19682940
Relevancy 67.51%

I was browsing websites on a four year old Dell Dimension 4700 PC when all of a sudden the computer suddenly turned off. The computer would not turn back on and the power light on the front of the computer, which normally is green when the computer is on, blinked yellow over and over again. After unplugging the computer and plugging it back in, the blinking yellow light went away and the computer did power on (complete with green light), but there was a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and nothing loaded. Every time I try to turn on the computer now all I get is that green light and an incredibly loud fan, nothing comes on the screen, I hear no beeps, nothing.

What could this possibly be and what could I do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

A:Computer doesn't work after crash/burning smell

Firstly, don't attempt to turn it on anymore, as you're most likely cause more damage, each time, you do so.
Secondly, it's rather impossible to diagnose on line what's going on inside the case.
Your best option is to bring it to a pro shop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/288334/computer-doesnt-work-after-crashburning-smell/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello I just went out the house for a few hours so left my problem System room) in standby (Burning smell computer on standby I came back to System standby problem (Burning smell in room) find the room had a slight burning smell which was confirmed by my brother When I tried starting my computer it stopped at the screen as soon as the motherboard loads Its never done that before Nothing else electrical was on in the room After a few minutes it asked some question about whether I wanted to delete the boot info or continue with the previos boot It was on about the standby information held on the hard drive however I cant remember how the question was praised Its been asking that question on and off the last few times Ive set the system in standby however its never left a burning smell in the room or anything like that I just select to delete and continue and it loads like a fresh boot loosing any data from when it was put on standby I ve been doing some forensic stuff imaging and analysing ram recently so god knows if its anything to do with that It only started the past few days since I got into imaging ram however I doubt its relating as imaging ram shouldnt affect the computers ram state considering the importance it would hold in an investigation Has anyone got any idea whats going on Suppose I better do some backing up Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,

I have been having a few problems lately and now I have these tiny blue dots on my screen. They go in vertical line and are not always there. I have also now noticed a burning smell from time to time and I thought it was the power cord so I bought a new one and now I know it's coming from the system.

Any information would be appreciate as to what I may do to find out exactly what is happening with my PC. I read a few things online and it says video-card but how can I tell for sure?

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Relevancy 67.51%

I was browsing websites on a four year old Dell Dimension 4700 PC when all of a sudden the computer suddenly turned off. The computer would not turn back on and the power light on the front of the computer, which normally is green when the computer is on, blinked yellow over and over again. After unplugging the computer and plugging it back in, the blinking yellow light went away and the computer did power on (complete with green light), but there was a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and nothing loaded. Every time I try to turn on the computer now all I get is that green light and an incredibly loud fan, nothing comes on the screen, I hear no beeps, nothing.

What could this possibly be and what could I do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

A:Computer doesn't work after crash/burning smell

Sounds like you may have fried the power supply. Remove the covers and see how much crap is covering all the components. A can of air blaster works good to clean out heatsinks and fans. Do any work with the power unplugged then carefully turn it on and see if you can see what is cooking in there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-work-after-crash-burning-smell.895436/
Relevancy 65.79%

I have a LaCie 500gb external harddrive that I use to back up my laptop and store large files. It has its own power supply and connects to my computer by USB. The other day I plugged it into the power supply and noticed it wouldnt turn on and there was an electrical burning smell coming from the plug on the harddrive. Is it possible that it is just the plug damaged and my data is still ok? Can I remove the data from the harddrive somehow? Would it be worth trying to get someone to repair it or should I just buy a new one?

I don't know alot about this sort of thing and any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

A:External harddrive not working, burning smell, can I retrive my data or repair it?

Yes Ur Harddisk Is Damaged Nothing will be retrive from It

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-harddrive-not-working-burning-smell-can-i-retrive-my-data-or-repair-it.130489/
Relevancy 60.63%

When I use DVD Flick Burning files mpg files or Nero burning audio cd from mp3s.
Does it matter whether I burn from source hard drive or flash drive ?

Is it better to copy files to hard drive first before burning ?
Is it less chance of getting errors ? Or doesn't make any difference ?

Since flash drive doesn't have any parts to wear out.
Is it better to use flash drive as source or it doesn't make any difference to wearing of the hard drive ? I think it still wears out hard drive in any case regardless what source you from, but does it make any difference ?

Thanks.

A:Burning files from hard drive or flash drive ?

It makes no difference. You can use either method. Flash drives can transfer the data to the cache and DVD drive fast enough to avoid any buffer underrun errors.

If you're worried about getting errors, just drop the burning speed down a notch from maximum.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/burning-files-from-hard-drive-or-flash-drive-556077.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Can anyone please give me step by step directions to burning my cd collection to an external hardrive? What format should we burn as, do we need to burn at the "best" quality? We plan on putting these onto mp3 players... will doing this take away any of the quality of the cds? We have windows XP/ media player... any tips would be awesome!

Thank you!

Andrea

Relevancy 59.77%

In the past, when I inserted a CD or DVD, a window popped up to ask me if I wanted to play / open files / copy to hard drive etc.

Now when I do this, no window pops up. I'm trying to copy a DVD to my External Hard Drive but don't know how.

Can anyone help walk me through it?

Relevancy 59.34%

Hello - I have many videos on my pc that I'd like to burn to a DVD.

I've tried this and it hasn't worked:

- Inserted DVD into drive
- Chose "Burn a DVD Video Disk using Windows DVD Maker" (selected from auto-play menu)
- Added video file from pc's hard drive

Problem - I frequently get "unsupported file type" message. Often the DVD Maker program stops working and restarts.

1) How do I know what types of files are supported by this program?
2) How do I know the video format of the files in question?
3) Is there a way to either convert the file into a supported version, or configure the DVD Maker program to support other file types?

I think u get the idea.. can anyone help?

A:Burning a DVD w/ videos on my hard drive

If you start the DVD maker independently and click on add items there's a list of compatible video formats in the dropdown in the lower right it includes; avi, mpg, m1v, mp2v, mpeg, mpe, mpv2, wm, wmv, mswmm, dvr-ms and asf.

You want to be able to see the extension of the file to determine what fomat it is.

DVD maker file support can only be changed by version updates that may include such features, so converting unsupported files into supported ones is the only option if you want to continue using DVD maker. http://www.erightsoft.com/Superdc.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-a-dvd-w-videos-on-my-hard-drive.684083/
Relevancy 59.34%

i have two drives, a cd-rom and a dvd-rom/+rw/+r so the only way for me to burn an actual dvd is to save it on my hard drive and then burn it onto a blank dvd. is this even possible? as well, i have a program that will change a video file that isnt in dvd format into a file that is in dvd format so that im able to burn the dvd on a blank dvd. however, all the divx that i have downloaded are about 700 mb's in divx/avi format. when i convert these to dvd format with my program, the file ends up being more than the maximum 4.7 gb on a blank dvd, thus i cant burn it on a dvd. is there anyway i can convert these into dvd format with a smaller capacity than say 7 or 8 gbs?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/saving-a-dvd-to-your-hard-drive-then-burning-it.186183/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello Techies,

I've been burning CDs for a while now on my laptop and it seems to fill my harddrive quite fast. Even when I do disk Cleanup and delete temp files. Any other method you can recommend to make more space available.

Thanks in Advance,
Charlton

A:No more space in Hard drive when burning CDs

You may need a bigger drive. But check the settings in your burner and look in your temp folders. The burner may be keeping a copy of the image or files that doesn't need to be kept. See if there is a setting that says something like, "Save Image After Burning" and uncheck it (unless you want to save image after burning).

Disk Cleanup is a safe method of removing temp files because it only removes them from the temp folder if they are beyond a certain age. look in the folder and delete any files that you know you don't need any more, especially if they were left behind by the burning process. Use EmpTemp to help clean out folders that you want to empty periodically:

http://www.danish-shareware.dk/soft/emptemp/index.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-more-space-in-hard-drive-when-burning-cds.315928/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello guys!
Good day for all of you!
Today I tried to burn a Win7 ISO file on my External Hard Drive, I used poweriso and it failed to burn with NTFS file system, whenever it is FAT32 it succeed, I used Rufus it also failed .
Is is possible to burn it on my external hard drive with NTFS file system ?
My external hard drive is 500GB, ADATA Brand
thanks in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/393074-burning-win7-iso-my-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 58.48%

G'day People,
My son copied some down loaded movies onto my external hard drive for me. He thought I had a USB on my TV but I don't. I am able to watch the movies on my computer. I would prefer to watch them on my TV in the lounge. Please could somebody tell me how I can burn them to a DVD disk. I have tried with my Nero 11 program. Everything seems to go fine. I received the message your DVD burned successfully. When I put the disk in the DVD player I receive a message "This disk is dirty". I have tried with a -R & a +R and also a RW all turn out the same and do not play. My computer runs Windows Vista. I clicked on properties for the movie, the file is a AVI file and the size is 673mb. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Cheers Perry

Relevancy 58.48%

Any one able to explain how i burn vista from the image file drive on my pc?

i want to put xp on my new pc but want vista on a disc for when i finaly move to vista, is this possible?

And thanks in advance ")

A:Solved: burning vista from hard drive

You could make a backup Image file to an external HD using Acronis ..
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Or maybe one of these freebees ... http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-burning-vista-from-hard-drive.805077/
Relevancy 58.48%

I am a little lost here and I'm sure someone can set me straight! I run a bar and I have a friend burning some CD's of music to play at night. We use a newer Vista laptop to play our music through the stereo system. I want to burn the Cd's to my hard drive, so I don't have to keep all of the various Cd's laying around. How do I do this? I am pretty computer literate, but I'm just lost on this one. Basically, I want to load the new CD into the drive and then transfer the music onto the hard drive, so I don't need to have the CD around to play the music. I'd prefer to use Windows Media Player for this as well. Thanks for your help!

A:Solved: Burning music to the hard drive

You need a "ripper". CDEx is a popular one. Most versions of Media Player also have ripping capability built in, but some only allow for wmv formats. That's fine, but mp3 is more common and interchangeable with other machines and people.

Be sure to choose mp3 (or wmv) as the output format. If you choose wav, the files will be very large and your drive will fill up pretty fast.

Read the directions. But you may want to "normalize" the files as you rip them so that they all have the same volume. It's not too much fun to have to change that for each song (or more accurately, "album", since the songs on an album usually have the same volume).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-burning-music-to-the-hard-drive.819286/
Relevancy 58.05%

My first post so I hope everyone cuts me some slack I read the overcloking prerequisites and I know the answers to the five basic overclocking questions so I presume I qualify Anyway here goes I have an ASUS A N E MOBO currently running an Athlon XP and it does OK I happen to come in possession of an Athlon XP-M a low power W V version that I was going to use in a laptop ugrade project Actually worked quite well but that s another story Decided to sell the laptop and buy a new one instead so I figured I hard question performance drive regarding and overclocking Burning d stick the XP-M in in my desktop Not too familiar with the XP-M other than it s supposed to be a good Burning question regarding hard drive performance and overclocking overclocker and operates well at low voltages Well I swapped out my for the XP-M Set the bus speed in BIOS to the required setting and the multiplier to the lowest setting of X and started benchmarking with SiSoft Sandra using the combined system benchmark All goes well while upping the multiplier and once i reached a multiplier of about X it pretty well matched the in performance except for the file system benchmark It was abysmal like of what I was getting with the Kept upping the multiplier to X all the performance benchmarks continue to climb with the exception of the file system benchmark It s benching at down from with the So why the big drop off in file system benchmarking I guess I don t know exactly what is being affected besides the hard drives obviously Is there any way to remedy this or is the XP-M just not happy with this motherboard I m running a CPU core voltage of volts by the way which is my lowest available setting nbsp

A:Burning question regarding hard drive performance and overclocking

I'm not an AMD guy but since no one else is chiming in I'll give it a shot here. My first day here posting so cut me some slack <g> The XP-M 2400 is supposed to be a 2 GHz processor right? If the FSB is 266, then the core clock is 133. If you are just changing the multiplier and not the front side bus, then a multiplier of 11x times the core clock of 133MHz will give you a frequency of just over 1.4GHz. Your processor is running at 75%. That's why your benchmarks are low. The stock clock would need a multiplier of 15x to get to the 2GHz rating. You need to be raising the multiplier and the front side bus. Some people are getting to 12x 208mhz with a voltage push and good cooling. Your temp will also be affected by the wattage. I believe that CPU came with a 35W and 45W version. The lower wattage would equate to lower temps. But you have to ease them up one then the other. Take your time. And remember to lock your AGP/PCI frequencies at 66 and 33 or you'll get unstable. Also as you push the FSB you are also overclocking your memory. You may have to raise your memory timings and DIMM voltage. If you have a CLK Spread Spectrum setting in your BIOS disable it. Check this out. It's a couple years old but the facts are still relevant.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles740/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-question-regarding-hard-drive-performance-and-overclocking.22071/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi I have Nero Express on windows Xp.
I have downloaded all of my own cds onto my hard drive and want to make new copys to make it easier for me to DJ. When I drop and drag from My Music to Nero it comes up with....The slected WMA files have protected content......
Please help .

A:problem burning audio from hard drive to cd on NERO

You must have had the 'copy protect' option checked in Windows Media Player (WMP) when you copied them. That means that you will only be able to play them on the machine that they were copied on. You should still have the license for the WMA's on your PC - I would assume that Nero isn't detecting them.
If you can play them in WMP, try using WMP to burn them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-burning-audio-from-hard-drive-to-cd-on-nero.360927/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have a new PC, previously I had a 320 GB HD, this one has 1TB I have put on four or so programs, how long should it take to make an initial system image to DVD, I have a set of 4.7 GB DVD+R 16x disks.

Thanks.

Relevancy 52.89%

I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop new in Italy in the close burning the and keeps DVDs drive the fails windows burning spinnin When but December from a major computer store The computer came installed with Windows Home Premium Italian and I have installed on it an original version of Microsoft Office When burning DVDs the windows close and the burning fails but the drive keeps spinnin XP Professional Edition English The CD-ROM unit is a Matsushita DVD -RW UJ Since I bought the computer I have sometimes had difficulty burning DVDs with the When burning DVDs the windows close and the burning fails but the drive keeps spinnin built-in Windows burner function that I access from Explorer Often in the past I have ended up with partially written DVDs Nevertheless by using high-quality DVDs I have been able to burn DVDs successfully most of the time using the Windows utility I last used the utility successfully a couple of months ago when I burned a couple of DVDs to backup some photos Since yesterday I have been trying to backup my most important files onto DVDs The attempt has failed in every case First I copy about GB of files from drive C onto drive D in Explorer These are several hundred files divided into three different directories consisting mostly of PDF Word Excel and JPG files some of them with names in foreign scripts like Cyrillic Japanese or Chinese Then I insert a new DVD either Verbatim or TDK and attempt to master the DVD by selecting the option write to disk from the Explorer menu whether from When burning DVDs the windows close and the burning fails but the drive keeps spinnin the menus at the top of the screen or by right-clicking on drive D in the lefthand pane of the screen A window pops up asking me for the name of the disk whether I want it to be flash or one-time only and the recording speed x x x etc Once I click continue to start burning the DVD a window pops up to tell me that Windows is making an image of the disk and then the window tells me that it has begun mastering the disk giving me a countdown of how many minutes are left minutes to minutes depending on the speed I choose But no matter what name I give to the disk and what recording speed I pick after - seconds the popup window and the Explorer window both suddenly close and the DVD unit s writing light goes out but the DVD unit continues to whir at high speed forever Here are the results I got yesterday with separate DVDs On the first DVD I used Windows s burn utility on a Verbatim DVD and I ended up with files burned onto the DVD making it unusable On the second try I used some simple burn software that I had used before Roxio Burn on a TDK DVD and ended up with files burned onto the disk but from different folders than the files burned by Windows On my third attempt after going offline shutting down my antivirus software AVG and using Task Manager to shut down processes from that other burn software Roxio Burn I used Windows s burn utility again on a TDK DVD and ended up with the identical files that had I ended up with the first time though this time I had chosen a lower writing speed In all three of these attempts the DVD unit continued to whir after the windows had closed until such time as I ejected the disk manually When I first encountered this problem yesterday I thought the problem might be caused by my antivirus software AVG Free Edition interfering with the writing process because after one particular automatic update by AVG about two months ago I began having problems with AVG blocking Skype and placing some of my Nokia cell phone software in quarantine But by disabling the HIPS element of AVG I was able to resolve those problems several weeks ago and begin using Skype successfully again But just to be sure today I disinstalled AVG completely and installed Microsoft Security Essentials Because I had read in a forum online that Windows might have conflicts with other burning software that was also installed today I also disinstalled the o... Read more

A:When burning DVDs the windows close and the burning fails but the drive keeps spinnin

My guess would be theres something wrong with the dvd drive.I also have the same computer.Either the laser in it is shot or needs cleaned or the whole drive has failed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/when-burning-dvds-the-windows-close-and-the-burning-fails-but-the-drive-keeps-spinnin.1027134/
Relevancy 52.89%

Nero Burning ROM crashed during burning and now my DVD drive is unusable. I cannot open the drive, I cannot shut down the computer because it says "Waiting for DVD Drive D:" and the drive runs like it is still burning despite the program doing the burning is no longer open. It isn't even in any process. What can I do to make the drive stop?

A:Nero Burning ROM crashing caused perpetual burning from DVD Drive

Go to Task Manager...shut the system down from there.

Turn system off....hard shutdown if necessary...disconnect the optical drive.

Sounds to me like it's a hardware problem moreso than a software problem if you cannot manually open the drive.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601018/nero-burning-rom-crashing-caused-perpetual-burning-from-dvd-drive/
Relevancy 45.15%

I m amateur pc user Been trying fix problems all week Changed power box due to over heating used AVG amp Superantispyware Keeps asking to reboot and choose boot device and several hints of mysterious behavior inside machine Feels like something is eating it restore&recycle hard 2nd bin&2nd problem,system hard drive vanished, drive Unknown paranoid spirituality Anyone know what s going on Please be gentle with me Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare AWC exeC Program Files x ASUS AASP aaCenter exeC Program Files x SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files x Kontiki KHost exeC Program Files x IObit Advanced SystemCare Sup SmartRAM exeC Program Files x DT Utilities DT Utilities PC Backup Pro mgCtrl exeC Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exeC Program Files x AVG AVG avgtray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaTray exeC Program Files x Entriq MediaSphere EntriqMediaServer exeC Windows Integrator exeC Program Files x Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www facebook com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - Hosts localhostO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO ContributeBHO Class - C DC - - A A- D-C C - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO AskBar BHO - f d - - d - c -aa e ed - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - BHO QFX Software KeyScrambler - B F - A - - E -C B BC E - C Program Files x KeyScrambler KeyScramblerIE dllO - BHO AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files x AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files x Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO Google Gears Helper - E FEFE -FBF - AE-BA - CA E FB - C Program Files x Google Google Gears Internet Explorer gears dllO - BHO SmartSelect - F EE -DAA - - - D EE A - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files x google googletoolbar dllO - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar Contribute Toolbar - BDDE -E A - -B E- B B FC - C Program Files x Adobe Adobe Contribute CS contributeieplugin dllO - Toolbar Ask Toolbar - d e-fd b- e -b - d b f - C Program Files x AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - Toolbar AVG Security Toolbar - CCC A -B CA- -B A - F ... Read more

A:Unknown problem,system restore&recycle bin&2nd hard drive vanished, 2nd hard drive

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313758/unknown-problemsystem-restorerecycle-bin2nd-hard-drive-vanished-2nd-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have two laptops, a ThinkPad T30 and a Latitude C840 (they are both working with XP SP2, except the T30 doesn't have a screen). I'd like to move the T30's drive into the C840, but when I do this, the C840 will hang right after the BIOS screen (incl. the XP CD's Press a key to boot off the CD if I tell it to boot from the disc drive first).

My first thought was to try Recovery Console from the XP CD. I can log into the install, and I've already tried fixmbring and fixbooting it. This doesn't help.

This leaves the option of the drivers not being right. I installed the C840 chipset drivers, nothing.

I'd really rather not go on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what'll get things up and running, so can you guys gimme a suggestion?

Thanks!
Ethan

A:Moved hard drive and cannot boot; hard drive accessable from Recovery Console

You can't simple move one drive from one machine to another because the drivers are specific to the hardware. Did you receive recovery CDs for the Latitude? If so, you could use them to "restore" it to its factory default with the new drive. This may actually be on a partition of the hard drive.
As an alternative, you could create an image of the original drive and restore it to the new one using some freeware such as DriveImage XML. To restore the image to the new drive, you'll need to boot to a bootable CD using something like UBCD4WIN and restore the image from somewhere on your network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moved-hard-drive-and-cannot-boot-hard-drive-accessable-from-recovery-console.528901/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I REALLY hope someone out there can help me Hard as Hard Partition 1T appears Problems! Drive/ Solved: My 8Gigs?! Drive with this I have a failed hard drive stuffed partion and i DESPERATELY need the data from it A computer was brought into me with two hard drives The owner asked me to set up a duel boot with vista and XP on the first hard drive and to leave the second hard drive alone its his backup drive with all his Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! photos movies etc I was working away as per usual when i noticed the second hard drive was no longer coming up in Windows Explorer Well it was but not correctly whenever i clicked on it it said would you liket to format the drive obviously i didnt want to do that I ran Partition Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! Magic which showed the drive was only Gigs it should have been T or Gigs Partition Magic also said there was a problem with the drive and offered to fix it I agreed however there was no change I ve run a number of programs to try and fix the drive Acronis Disk Director Server Partition Table Doctor Demo Dtidata Partition Repair Tool MHDD Recover My Files v FileScavenger However all the partition repairers claim that the drive is only Gigs and they can go no further All the File Recovery Programs will only scan for Gigs and thus i can not recover my clients precious photos and videos The BIOS comes up as recognizing the drive as Gigs I really REALLY need the Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?! data from this drive Does anyone know how to fix my problem Thanx heaps in advance Ben nbsp

A:Solved: Hard Drive/ Partition Problems! My 1T Hard Drive appears as 8Gigs?!

I've used ZAR to recover files from a RAID box that seemed to have been corrupted due to a bad power supply.

You might check it out. It's free. Meaning it will only allow you to recover so many files at a time. I bought it, and like it.

They have a forum that is monitored quite often, from the developer too.

Good luck.

http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-partition-problems-my-1t-hard-drive-appears-as-8gigs.858100/
Relevancy 44.72%

Windows XP Professional Service Pack build gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache WDC WD BB- FTA Hard drive GB -- drive s n WD-WMAET rev and Multiple drive clicking, hard drive freezing errors, hard boot R SMART Status Healthy Hard drive Just a few weeks ago my hard drive started clicking and suddenly my system froze The drive wasn't dropped bumped or anything like that It was fairly new as well I was having some issues accessing my files AND I couldn't access the internet through any browsers Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing I was connected could play internet-using games but got no reply from websites I decided to reformat Well that didn't go so well Reformatting did not fix the freezing issue nor did it fix the internet issue I attempted to reformat the partition on C but it Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing simply wouldn't let me Hard drive I pulled out a newish hard drive and formatted it installed my applications and continued on my way Everything was working great until a day later when the hard drive AGAIN froze in the middle of a session and this time I couldn't even boot I was getting a boot error that mentioned not receiving a boot file name I went into the windows repair console and did a chkdsk which turned up Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing a few errors and attempted to recover them I assume I could now boot but random freezing would still take place now and then and EVERY DAY I have to access the repair console due to boot errors Almost every other attempt to boot results in freezing before startup not being able to access the boot file or a blue screen of death So I Hard drive Same things happening I must have reformatted at least times by now and I'm beginning to give strange looks at my motherboard The computer seems to DECIDE when to work and not work When it doesn't boot the hard drive makes a constant clicking noise This next part will sound bad after getting boot errors all day I walked down stairs to find some new hardware When I got back up my cat had knocked the hard drive which was disconnected and outside of the computer onto the wooden floor It's a foot drop so I was getting worried I plugged it in and tried to star what do you know Here I am Now I'm certain it's only a matter of time before it freezes again The thing is freezing usually occurs when I'm running one or more programs at a time The computer is going incredibly slow at the moment Is it a certain program that is messing up my registry or would it be a problem with my motherboard dontknow

A:Multiple hard drive boot errors, hard drive clicking, and freezing

Try installing another operating system onto the disk and seeing if that crashes as well. If it doesn't you probably have a bad Windows cd. I suggest trying Kubuntu, a version of Linux meant to look somewhat like Windows (You can click here to skip directly to the download page). Just remember to actually install the thing. Most Linux operating systems can be ran directly from the cd without any need to be installed onto a hard disk. There's usually a program on the desktop that will install the system for you. If it runs properly for a week or two, get a new Windows disk. If it crashes just as much as Windows did, get a new computer.

Also, how much RAM does your computer have? If it's very low (256-512 megs or less) it can sometimes cause these kinds of crashes too.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/multiple-hard-drive-boot-errors-hard-drive-clicking-and-freezing-374232.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey guys, I was working with my grandfathers computer. The computer would not boot, it kept getting the BSOD with "Unmountable Boot Volume" At the top. Annoyed, I decided I was going to just back up whatever files were on it (Just his favorites, he has absolutely no documents or anything else)..by plugging his HD into my home PC as a slave and copying them to my flashdrive. Then I would reinstall XP Home on his Desktop, and use the flashdrive to put back his files...Sounds easy enough right? NO!!!!.....Problem is, his user account on the computer (Ralph), was Password Protected so now when I try to access any of his files (using Windows 7) I get a message saying Access Is Denied. How do I get around this. It is not possible to boot his old computer to take off the password. Are his files recoverable?
Thanks for any help!

A:Recovering hard drive files from unbootable, password protected hard drive?

You don't have to do all that to overcome an unmountable boot volume error...try running chkdsk /r command on the drive.

Start/Run...type chkdsk X: /r (where X is the drive letter assigned by XP and with spaces between k and X: and X: and /) and then hit Enter.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/251609/recovering-hard-drive-files-from-unbootable-password-protected-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.72%

I had a thread someone drive-question xp hard Solved: drive if win98 windows time?? hard has with earlier and forgot to ask a couple Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time?? of questions I was told I could take a hard drive from a windows computer and the person is buying a new Windows xp so I can hook up the win hard drive as a slave to the new computer with win xp so I can drop and drag or cut and past files that they want off the hard drive put on their new computer Now If their new computer with the win xp on it if there is an ide cable going to the hard drive and nothing else then I can hook up the win hard drive to the same ide cable as a slave and no problem However if the windows xp computer has the hard drive on the ide cable and also the cd-rom then is it ok just to hook up another ide cable to their mother board and hook the hard drive from the windows computer on the end of that ide cable as the master and by turning the computer off and then hooking up the hard drive and then turning the computer back on it should reconize the windows hard drive in my computer right away right If I would have to put the windows hard drive in the new computer on a seperate ide cable is it ok to have it as master cause the hard drive that is already in it would be master to but it would be on a different ide cable I am hoping the new computer just has the hard drive on an ide cable by itself so I can just hook the other one up as a slave and get the files and be done with it How ever if someone could give me a couple or three scenario s with ide cables and hooking this up I would be very much appreciatetive It would be a new computer with windows xp home or pro and wanting to hook up a hard drive from an old computer with windows to get the files off from it Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: windows xp hard drive with win98 hard drive-question if someone has time??

Yes - you understand it correctly

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-hard-drive-with-win98-hard-drive-question-if-someone-has-time.388045/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a customer s Satellite L D S laptop This was shipped to me by the customer who tried to install Windows XP Pro Vista and none would install He said he tried all installation CDs he had and finally gave up on it and shipped it to me When I got it the partition were deleted so I tried to install Win and when I do doing a custom install I format win can't clean drive find drive hard 7 can't install Solved: or on hard get an error saying the hard drive can t be formatted on disk Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install or it will give an error that no hard drives were found I reset the bios to default and no matter what I do it won t format or find the harddrive I was going to upgrade the bios but the only way I found to upgrade the Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install bios is after windows is installed There is no way to make changes to the bios for settings that would have to do with the hard drive This has a Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive When installing Win I get the normal windows quot windows is starting quot quot Select Language quot quot Select System quot quot Type of install quot quot Custom Install quot quot Delete partitions quot quot New Partitions quot quot Format quot then the error message quot Windows cannot format a partition on disk Error x quot This happens regardless what system I try to install I ve tried two different versions of XP one of Vista and Win and each time a different install CD System Specs AMD Turion TM x Mobile CPU CPU Speed GHz Toshiba MK GSX S hard drive Pioneer DVD-RW DurkD l PM Optical Disk Drive Memory System Bios Version Anyone got any ideas on this laptop so I can get a system installed I checked the bios and there is no settings for a sata drive raid drive or IDE drive so it looks like this version can t be changed Thanks for anyone who can help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: win 7 can't find hard drive or can't format hard drive on clean install

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-7-cant-find-hard-drive-or-cant-format-hard-drive-on-clean-install.917413/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I am in the process of doing a clean re-install of Windows XP for Home on my PC I have hard drives c gb Maxtor SATA drive - bootable with Windows seeing Hard - Problems, drive new not Bootup Drive hard Help Windows required Options XP existing Windows install d gb Maxtor IDE drive Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options - non bootable data drive g gb Maxtor IDE drive - bootable with the clean install of Windows XP for home on it Windows is not seeing all the sizes quite right yet but I will tackle that when I have solved Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options this major problem that follows If I boot from the C drive - I have no problems at all Windows will see all the different drives as it should do I can access them all and they all work fine When I come to boot the clean install on drive G windows changes the drive letters - G becomes C D remains as D but the gb Maxtor SATA drive isn t Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options seen at all and might as well not exist Disk Management within Windows is no help as it can t see the drive Maxtor software MaxBlast is also no help as it can t see the drive on this install either I have checked and rechecked the BIOS but have pretty much discounted any issues here as it clearly shows all drives and all drives are listed on boot up It s just when Windows kicks in that I have the problem I guess it s a simple setting somewhere but I am pulling out what little hair I have left trying to think what it is - so any ideas would be very gratefully received Thanks in advance and kind regards Stuart nbsp

A:Hard Drive Bootup Problems, Help required - Windows not seeing new hard drive Options

Hi
This is what I would do to enhance performance and storage strategy:

1. Use the 20g for the os and housekeeping utes such as av, spyware, etc only, nothing else goes on that drive.
2. Use the 160g for apps installs.
3. Use the 200g for data.

This might get you past the bios/firmware/os/drive letter issue and make better use of the drives. The 20 isn't really good for storage anymore, but would be great for an os/system ute drive. It's performance is less than the other drives, but that's ok, most of the os will stay in ram anyway after boot, you won't make any real diff having a faster os drive.
You might want to place a pagefile on each drive so pageing can occur concurrently too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-bootup-problems-help-required-windows-not-seeing-new-hard-drive-options.34935/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey a Hard Drive Drive External an please! 80gb Enclosure, Zune help in Hard Putting guys My Zune gb stopped working a while back It wouldn t charge So I thought I would take Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please! out the hard drive and use it as an external gb hard drive So I bought an quot ZIF encolsure for it and installed the hard drive into it All appears good with the installation When I plug the hard drive into the PC the light on the hard drive enclosure comes on and stays on amp the disk starts spinning Then Windows Vista does the whole quot Install new Hardware quot thing and calls it a quot Disk Drive quot and a quot USB Mass Storage Device quot and says hardware is installed and ready for use But the problem is I can t seem to access the drive I can t find it anywhere It doesn t show up as a drive I can use or anything I tried a third party partitioning prgram to try and find the disk so I could reformat it but it wouldn t it couldn t find it either I even plugged the drive into my Mac thinking that Disk Utility might be able to recognize it and let me wipe it but the Mac doesn t recognize it as anything Back in Vista Using Device Manager Vista notices the drive under the quot Disk Drives quot option as a quot Disk Drive quot and that it is elecronically signed by Microsoft since it has the Zune firmware on it but I can t do anything with it And this is the only place where I can see that the drive even exists I can t reformat it or anything Can anyone help me I thought I read somewhere that the problem is the zune firmware Is there anyway I can wipe it Please help I have spent hours searching online and can t seem to get anywhere If I have posted this is in the wrong forum I am sorry Thank you Timothy nbsp

A:Putting a Zune 80gb Hard Drive in an External Hard Drive Enclosure, help please!

anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/putting-a-zune-80gb-hard-drive-in-an-external-hard-drive-enclosure-help-please.1009940/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,
I am trying to move all my files from my computer to my new external hard drive, but whenever I try and move a file over 4 GB in size i get this error message...
"The file is too large for the destination file system"... anyone know how I can get around this so I can move those files over?

A:Problem transfering large file from hard drive to external hard drive

Get ahold of some software that will break up the file into chunks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-transfering-large-file-from-hard-drive-to-external-hard-drive.105596/
Relevancy 44.72%

I see it can be done from an installed to an external, but can it be done in reverse, taking the external cased hard drive and cloning it to an internal? The old hard drive is from an xp laptop, and I can aquire another xp laptop if I can clone this way. Perhaps if I set the enclosure hard drive as master? All ideas are greatly appreciated. Many thanks

A:Clone a laptop hard drive from an external case to an internal hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clone-a-laptop-hard-drive-from-an-external-case-to-an-internal-hard-drive.1037757/
Relevancy 44.29%

Had this laptop for about 6 years, had a few issues in the past, but nothing major like this. After, I ran a system dianostic, the result shown that the Hard drive short DST failed. Not totally sure how to do a recovery, I do have the Recovery Discs, so I searched up how to run the discs; turned on the system- press f11-  window loading files- window starting- then it just stuck on a window blue screen with nothing but the cursor. Can I even use the Recovery Discs? I want to replace the old HDD with a new SSD, but I'm not sure if I have to install a new OS or can I recover the old hard drive OS and transfer to the SSD?

A:Hard Drive failure (Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed)

DST:Fail means  the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-failure-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-Check-Failed/td-p/5789622
Relevancy 44.29%

I am having a serious problem with my pc.Windows disk is showing me these following errorsBoot sector of the hard drive disk is damagedBad sectors on hard drive or damaged file allocation tableRead time of hard drive clusters less the 500 msHard drive doesnt respond to system commands40% of hdd space is unreadableWhat does this mean and can I fix itI cannot access my documents folder or other programs Any Help would be greatI tried the defrag thing but it didnt workEdit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, at the recommendation of forum staff. ~ Animal

A:Critical Error Hard Drive not found. Missing hard Drive

When you say "Windows disk". Can you give a little better description of just what\where the warning message is coming from?

You "tried the defrag thing but it did`t work".

Where did you go to access the defrag? What does "it did`t work" mean?

The reason I am asking these questions is not to give you a hard time. There is a virus going around that is very similar in it`s behavior.

I am just trying to find out exactly what it is we are dealing with.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380473/critical-error-hard-drive-not-found-missing-hard-drive/
Relevancy 44.29%

I just installed a brand new Western Digital Hard Drive 160 gig. I partitioned it with FDISK, then formated, then did a clean install of windows XP. Everything was fine until after i finished the installation, and i tried to connect my old maxtor 20 gig so i could transfer some files over, and the computer stopped reading both hard drives. When i start it up, the computer can't boot from either drive. I've tried disconnecting each of the drives and only booting with one connected, with no luck. I also tried changing the gray strip, I can't remember what its official name is, but that didnt help either. When I go into BIOS and let it auto detect my drives, It wont recognize either of the drives.

A:New hard drive installed sucessfully, now my computer cant find any hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-installed-sucessfully-now-my-computer-cant-find-any-hard-drive.290955/
Relevancy 44.29%

I need an external hard drive for taking regular backups of all of my data.
When i searched the internet I got two options:
1. Porable HDD [high cost, slower speed but don't need external power]
2. Desktop HDD [low cost, higher speed but need external power]

I want to know that...
1. Which hard disk's live longer? Porable or Desktop.
2. I heared that pulling off USB cable of Portable HDD may cause data lose because it also supplies power to hdd.
What will happpen if Power goes off from Desktop HDD? Will my data/Hard disk remain protected?
3. Level of safety of data on moving or shaking on both Desktop and Portable HDD.
4. Can we install os and boot from portable and desktop external hdd?

A:Need Advice : External Desktop Hard drive vs Portable Hard drive?

Unless you really need to go portable with a Laptop .. I'd not use a USB powered External.
You cannot boot from a USB External .. But there's another option if you're capable of physically changing HDDs ..

Get a good external Enclosure (with a fan for cooling) .. Install a good HDD ... with a 5 year warranty
and make the HDD in the enclosure a bootable backup .. where you could swap HDDs if/when needed ..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-advice-external-desktop-hard-drive-vs-portable-hard-drive.988810/
Relevancy 44.29%

I recently formatted my c drive and now i am reinstalling all the software. I keep all the setups of software in my external hard drive. For installing the software I coy the setup folder of the required software on my laptop, then install it.

Is straightaway installing the software by accessing the external hard drive okay? Does it make any difference in the installation time or any reduction in life of hard disk performance.

Or should I always install through my laptop hard drive?

I am running windows 8.1 pro

A:installation software from external hard drive or internal hard drive

Your method is as good as any. If it works, keep doing it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/installation-software-from-external-hard-drive-or-internal-hard-drive-1056962.html
Relevancy 44.29%

my hard drive crash and i just bought a new hard drive. but i dont have a windows cd only product key on my desktop case.how can I install windows on my new hard drive?

A:hard drive crash... install windows on new hard drive withou...

Galilee Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about wanting to restore your PC and wanted to help -- but need more information. Your PC did not come with Win10 preinstalled, so if you were to order HP Recovery Media and use that, it would restore the original operating system, drivers, and HP utilities.  I presume this is NOT what you want, right? So, while you can make Win10 media to recover your PC, it would be a clean-install and nothing would be preserved. You can make such media using this tool: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit).  While you CAN change these settings, do NOT. If you do, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code! Good Luck 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/hard-drive-crash-install-windows-on-new-hard-drive-without/td-p/5686961
Relevancy 44.29%

I have a dell dimension 8200 windows xp home edition sp3. One of my hard drives has the fbi virus. I cant boot from a usb on it but the computer can have two hard drives plugged in at once. Could i plug the dirty hard drive in and scan and remove the virus from the clean one?.

A:Scanning dirty hard drive from clean hard drive in same computer

Hello, and Welcome

Detach the drive without the FBI virus. On another computer download Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Burn the iso to a CD. On a Windows 7 computer simply right click the iso and select Burn Disk Image. Connect the computer with the FBI virus via a Ethernet cable so Kaspersky can update it's definitions. Boot the disk and then open the terminal and type windowsunlocker (all lower case) shown in this guide. Then run the antivirus on the Kaspersky disk

http://media.kaspersky.com/downloads/consumer/kasp10.0_rescuedisk_en.pdf

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591973/scanning-dirty-hard-drive-from-clean-hard-drive-in-same-computer/
Relevancy 44.29%

I did this on a Compaq Presario c500 and now i have no audio coming over my laptop. HELP!

A:Windows Vista Hard Drive replaced with XP Hard Drive. No audio.

You need to install the proper drivers for your hardware. All of the drivers you need are right here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-hard-drive-replaced-with-xp-hard-drive-no-audio.681812/
Relevancy 44.29%

hi .
i have a Compaq nx 7400 .
i was hahving a lot of problems with the computer so i decided to put a new hard drive in and reinstall XP .
well i have the new hard drive in and started up the machine and changed the bott options to run from the dvd and all went fine until i should press the ENTER ( return ) button to install XP now . as soon as i did that the next window said no hard drive found . this was also happening on the old hard drive that was in the machine .

im stuck and i dont know what else to try . anyone had this problem before .?

Thanks for any help .
very strange .
Timo

A:Solved: new hard drive xp , new install, doesnt find hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-hard-drive-xp-new-install-doesnt-find-hard-drive.726533/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello guyz,
pliz help me with the steps involved in upgrading or replacing an MFM hard drive with IDE-class hard drive

A:STEPS TO UPGRADE/REPLACE an MFM hard drive with an IDE-class hard drive

Hi kfkaggwa, and welcome to TSG.

Any chance the motherboard has and IDE controller built in? If not, what kind of expansion card options does it have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-to-upgrade-replace-an-mfm-hard-drive-with-an-ide-class-hard-drive.606240/
Relevancy 44.29%

hi all,
i hope someone can help me out, i am a newbie to all this so bare with me.
my hard drive failed over a month ago but i managed to do a system image with win7 to my new 2tb internal hard drive. i cannot get the image recovery to work as i says "no image can be found on hard disk". i am at a loss from there. I have tried and cried over this as its driving me mad as i have no pc.

Leroy

A:hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive

just to add really that the system image is on my new hard drive (2tb internal). i use the boot dvd and i get a far as "repair my computer" click on it, sometimes i get message saying not compatable with this version of windows other times it lets me on to next bit, then says no image can be found on hard drive. if i go through the load drivers i can see my hard drive with items on it. ie windowsbackup and others. again i am at a loss with this, any help would be greatful.

Leroy

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/314470-hard-drive-failed-system-image-not-found-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello I just got a new Dell Dimension E with Vista as the operating system Vista Stinks For most programs including video and audio from XP Service Pack Vista doesn t recognize drivers that were fine with XP Service Pack Even Sonic and Roxio which are installed hard with Drive Can with XP? replaced Solved: Hard be Dell drive Vista on the damn thing give these same problems My internet connection is also no better at all and was outright disabled with a message quot something has caused Microsoft Internet to stop working quot Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP? after I tried to install basic version of Zone Alarm Then on Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP? reboot it says quot unauthorized change made to your license you must verify your software online quot This message come up before the desktop appears and this screen is frozen whether you choose the quot verify quot or quot cancel quot option Couldn t shut down by any means either including Control Alt Delete it wouldn t bring up that window Had to literally pull the plug and reboot into Safe Mode where I uninstalled Zone Alarm and a couple of other functions that worked perfectly in XP Then I was able to re-boot normally the message did not come up again I hate Vista Not interested in any quot fixes quot not worth the trouble The only fix for Vista is a sledgehammer to the drive My hope is this can I get the hard drive removed and replace it with a clean hard drive that has XP sp on it or am I stuck with this P O S Operating System The computer in question is a brand new Dell Dimension E GHz processor AMD Dual Core gb RAM Combined CD DVD drive gb hard drive Thanks for any help Rick nbsp

A:Solved: Can Dell hard drive with Vista be replaced with Hard Drive XP?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-dell-hard-drive-with-vista-be-replaced-with-hard-drive-xp.563372/
Relevancy 43.86%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) M120, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2812 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 336 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 223921 MB, Free - 129686 MB; D: Total - 14248 MB, Free - 2350 MB; E: Total - 99 MB, Free - 95 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 363F
Antivirus: Computer Security, Updated and Enabled

Hi i recently had the fan changed in my computer and it is making a smell but not really a burning smell. Could the new fan be making the smell or something else? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Relevancy 43.86%

This is my second post and no one ever helps me out, the person with a new laptop stole the show with replies, do i stink or something...lol
Please help me if you can,
Thanks,
Nick

A:Do I smell??

Ok I didn't see ur previous post, could you explain ur problem??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/do-i-smell.101166/
Relevancy 43.86%
Q: smell

hi i am new here , i wonder if u can help me.i am getting a wierd smell coming from my tower ,could it be a fault plz thx, olliex

A:smell

What does it smell like? Burning?

The situations during which I had burning smells coming from my tower were usually due to a fan with broken bearings or a clump of dust that got stuck in a heatsink.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/smell-154398.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question so please bear with me. My computer has started to smell... It starts after an hour or so and seems to me that the fan is blowing it out. The strange thing is that when I took the cover off there is so sign of anything wrong and nothin inside the stack has a smell at all. lt was a little dusty that was all and I blew that out. Any ideas as to what could be causing it - if it is something that will cost a lot to replace/repair I will have to try and replace it later on.

Any help will be appreciated - micio

Relevancy 43.43%

ok- i have been going over a few of the newer posts tonight as always- there are a few people wanting opinions on quot which gaming card quot or quot how much ram quot or quot how s this for my new computer quot i am not picking on anyone don t worry i does overkill? else anyone smell just wanted to bring something to attention and hear the feedback debate that results ok- i have had a number of different computers at my old age of does anyone else smell overkill? and with each computer usually the speed size of each component increases i ll tell you this though- my setup now does anyone else smell overkill? see my sig runs my dsl internet connection my paint shop pro and microsoft Word just as well as the mhz pIII w mb ram and a gig hdd that i owned years ago keep in mind the apps that i just mentioned and note that there are no games of any sort listed there does anyone else see where i m going with this where is the idea coming from that you must spend so much money to have a pc when all you want to use it for is solitare and surfing the net nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

Right i'm not sure if i had a virus or just software problems.
Here the story, i was look'in for stuff in a bad side of town and got stung. Now spend hours removing it. Everything seem to work ok, but i still feel as thou i've still got something.

pmkjk.dll was one of the files that was removed(used methods shown on this forum)
later appear on anti-virus scan and then was removed by it(avg free)

Can ayone suggest a very setailed way to check i got a virus or others without doing massive head sugery.

Also can someone tell me if PC tool firewall is any good.

p.s got hijack this if required(not a cule how this works require training. Suggests?)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/smell-a-virus.561720/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hey guys I m back I posted a while ago about problems with my built comp - http forums techguy org showthread php t amp page amp pp It did in fact turn out to be a power supply problem so I bought a new one from Thermaltake http www newegg com Product Product Weird smell asp Item N E and it ran fine all summer long So today you know regular day I turn on my comp surf the net for a while when all of a sudden the noise from my comp dies down slightly for a second and then goes up A few seconds later I smell burnt rubber So I get freaked out turn it off It smells like burnt rubber sure but nothing s Weird smell wrong with it Weird smell It turns back on voltages are fine Not sure what exactly smells but nothing inside felt overly hot - the CPU was in fact very cool degrees according to BIOS So I m kind of lost now Does this Weird smell happen at all My house is kind of old so sometimes when the AC goes auto-on the power in the outlets drops for half a second you can see the lights dim and stuff so it might ve been that Any clues Also on a sidenote I was playing PES yesterday and my speakers started going staticky as in static noise whenever any sound was made it was weird I have speakers from creative that are like months old but they all started doing it at the same time so it can t be speaker malfunction It s weird cuz I had that problem before with regular crappy speakers It also started happening when I played that game although later it did it when I listened to music and stuff too I did get a new soundcard since then soundblaster live -bit so I m rly confused nbsp

A:Weird smell

Maybe a fan got stuck.. If you have thermal shutdown options in your bios, make sure they are enabled..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/weird-smell.391773/
Relevancy 43%

I have an old 320GB hard drive that's dying and slowing my computer down. The OS is on a 20GB partition. I want to copy that partition onto an empty, 110GB hard drive.

Will the data copied be corrupted? am I better off re-installing windows?

How can I do this?

A:Cloning a hard drive partition onto a smaller hard drive

Hi there

1) download something like FREE macrium and boot it up.
2) Image the OS
3) Restore the image to the new HDD --if it's a Laptop you can do it with a USB==>SATA cable without installing the new HDD first
4) swap the drives if it's a laptop
5) Boot.

Remember though if the Windows system partition exists to copy that as well as the "C" partition.

The rest of your data (User data etc) on the HDD - just save anywhere with File explorer / Windows explorer to wherever you want to keep it -- there's no reason why you couldn't keep it on the old HDD -- if it's an INTERNAL HDD you can get a powered SATA / IDE case and connect via USB or SATA.

I suspect you are installing an SSD -- EXCELLENT MOVE -- you won't be in any way disappointed. You can connect the 110GB SDD to the computer via a USB==>SATA cable - very cheap so you can restore to SSD BEFORE physically changing the drives. Even if it isn't an SSD the methodology applies -- ensure though the BOOT partition is ACTIVE !! or the system won't boot.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/339602-cloning-hard-drive-partition-onto-smaller-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 43%

I just got a new comp and want to move my Galaxies and Godfather game files from one drive to the other.

I am wondering if anyone knows how get this to work, or, get it so i can run the program from a different drive than my primary drive.

thanks

Relevancy 43%

A friend of mine has asked me to transfer some music and picture files from his old IDE hard Drive in a HP Pavillion System, to his new SATA hard drive in his new Dell System, it sounds like it should be a fairly simple process, but my question is, what is the best way to just copy these files and not the entire hard disk?

Relevancy 43%

I have an internal hard disk not in use ,and I would like to make it as external disk !
I looked on the net and I found I should have the " encelsure " butt I think I wont find it here in my city .
So is there another way ? like usb -esata cable ?

A:how to make your internal hard drive into and external hard drive ?

Firstly, where are you based (Which country)? I would get the part of the internet, I trust we are talking about a 3.5" drive? Do you have an esata port on your pc? I would get something similar to this, I think: Play.com - Buy CiT 35M17SEF 3.5 inch SATA / USB / Firewire / eSATA External Hard Drive Enclosure online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/221889-how-make-your-internal-hard-drive-into-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 43%

I currently am running windows x bit and I am thinking of copying my entire hard drive consisting of C amp D drives using a total of GB of space nbsp And wanting to external as Drive Complete drive a Copying to hard b... an Hard get a Western Digital External Hard Drive with TB Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b... of space nbsp I have been led to believe that windows has a utility called System Image Back Up Utility located in the Control Panel nbsp I have also been led to believe that this can be done completely using a bit by bit copy of the entire hard drive programs files drivers apps utilities etc nbsp But I can not fine enough info on doing this And there are still questions such as How do you transfer the copy from the external hard drive back onto the PC if it should completely crash I do have a five disk recovery set I made when I purchased my PC but still want an additional source of a back up system nbsp I can not find the procedures for copying the copy from the external hard drive to the crashed PC and are ther better and Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b... safer programs out there to use instead of the windows system Image back up utility nbsp I would add that I am somewhat of an intermediate user useing PCs since windows but there are obviously issues that I need to research before attempting something this complicated and advanced nbsp Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp Thanks in Advance Solved View Solution

A:Copying Complete Hard Drive to an external hard drive as a b...

A description of System Image Backup can be found here.  If you want both C and D, I would suggest a clone program. Both Seagate and WD offer a free Disk Wizard Program. With the cloning process, you use an external case to perform the clone.  When disaster strikes, you swap out the drives, and continue. Personally, I make clones of my primary desktops every 30-45 days.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Copying-Complete-Hard-Drive-to-an-external-hard-drive-as-a/td-p/5567856
Relevancy 43%

Is there a program taht will allow for this, that is relatively cheap, or is there a way to do it without using a program?

Relevancy 43%

Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to clone a SATA hard drive with Windows XP to a USB hard drive, and rather or not if Windows XP would work well on the USB hard drive after it was cloned from the SATA hard drive. The USB hard drive would be the only hard drive used after the SATA hard drive with Windows XP was cloned to the USB hard drive.

Relevancy 43%

I installed a brand new hard drive in my hp pavilion ze4630 and even when booting from the the Win XP disk it does not see the new hard drive. I tried using a Win Me disk in an attempt format from dos but unit does not boot into dos. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK4025GAS and i did not find a driver on their site. What do i need to do to initialize a virgin hard drive ? Also tried installing as slave drive to my desktop and format with functioning Win XP but it also did not see the drive. Thanks for assistance with this matter.

A:Hard drive formatting instruction for brand new hard drive

rskin2001 said:

I installed a brand new hard drive in my hp pavilion ze4630 and even when booting from the the Win XP disk it does not see the new hard drive. I tried using a Win Me disk in an attempt format from dos but unit does not boot into dos. The hard drive is a Toshiba MK4025GAS and i did not find a driver on their site. What do i need to do to initialize a virgin hard drive ? Also tried installing as slave drive to my desktop and format with functioning Win XP but it also did not see the drive. Thanks for assistance with this matter.Click to expand...

Can you see the drive in the BIOS setup?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-formatting-instruction-for-brand-new-hard-drive.467932/
Relevancy 43%

I earlier posted about the Aspire AST -UP A be internal external Can drive hard full used hard drive? for having GB hard drive I since then contacted Aspire chat support Apparently not being tech savy we didn t realize gb hard drive only c drive is able to be used the d data drive holds the programs to run the computer I didn t mean can I use the external hard drive internally I meant if I hook it up externally would it work in place of the internal hard drive Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? that is nearly full except for around GB So unfortunately the computer Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? isn t as big as you believe But I wanted to know if I purchase I was looking at Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive? western digital elements TB external hard drive Can we use it for this computer It will not run itunes or anything like that but we can obviously go online My brother wants to buy a new computer but I know that is probably not the way to go Should we get an internal hard drive installed and other memory or something or can we use the external hard drive I would appreciate any informed help on this since we do not no technical info on computers Can t really afford to buy another computer right now Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Can external hard drive be used for full internal hard drive?

If you want to take out the drive from external hard drive case and install it in your desktop/laptop, then usually you can. Usually external hard drives are just ordinary hard drives accompanied by some extra controller to make it able to "talk" via general ports (e.g. USB). However I am not familiar with digital elements 2TB , so I can not confirm it. But I do have WD external drive, which I had positively confirm that its real drive is just ordinary hard drive.

Note that if you decide to do this, I suggest to find experience people to work on extracting the drive. If you do it yourself you will risk to damage it, and you don't want that since usually opening the closure means voiding the warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-external-hard-drive-be-used-for-full-internal-hard-drive.161546/
Relevancy 43%

My hard drive started making funny clicking noises and the pc pitstop checkup gave me a response time of 77ms and a warning that it could expire shortly. So i bought a new 80 gb hard drive, installed it, partitioned it no problem, but i now want to swap all the data from my old hard drive to my new one (os and all), and then junk the old drive.
How can i do this without spending money on software that i will probably only use once or twice.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

the pipster

A:How can i copy my failing 8gb hard drive to my new 80gb hard drive?

For free:

XXClone
HDClone (free edition only smaller to larger)
DriveClonerXP
PCI CloneMaxx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-copy-my-failing-8gb-hard-drive-to-my-new-80gb-hard-drive.404558/