Windows Support Forum

Creating a Restore Point & Windows XP Explorer Windows closing

Q: Creating a Restore Point & Windows XP Explorer Windows closing

I have several protective programs running..
like "Adware, Fix It 5,SpywareStopper"
but I haven't found any viruses...

When I run SpyBot, it comes up with about 23-25 entries AND I stall when I get to create a restore point. After a lon---g period of time the (not responding)
goes on.

Another problem is that WinRAR opens but closes unexpectedly...

Are these problems possibly related or do I have different issues???

Thanks for any help!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Creating a Restore Point & Windows XP Explorer Windows closing

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Creating a Restore Point & Windows XP Explorer Windows closing

http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html Follow this link to Rollin Rog Security Tools It is hard to tell from your report exactly what spy ware programs you are running . Scroll down the page to Parasitic , Download Ad-Aware SE , Spy Bot Search and Destroy , Spy Ware Blaster . Setup and update according to the tutourials. Go to Panda Active Scan or other online virus scanner and run a scan . If you do not have an anti virus program aboard go to Grisoft AVG and download the personal free edition . Use these programs only for now and shut down any other spyware / malware programs you mayhave running . After using the programs from Rollin Rog Security Tools come back and let us know how things are now running .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/creating-a-restore-point-windows-xp-explorer-windows-closing.272967/
Relevancy 82.99%

I m having a couple of problems with Windows Home Premium x The first one is an ongoing issue that has existed since I first purchased this laptop a Portege R -P HDD replaced with GB Torqx SSD Approximately - weeks following a rollback with System Restore corrupted, & paste gets crashes Explorer Windows Cut restore always Oldest point or a full OS Oldest restore point always gets corrupted, Cut & paste crashes Windows Explorer restore from an Acronis True Image archive Windows Explorer will suddenly stop responding during an attempt to copy amp paste a file s from the desktop to another folder after Explorer restarts cut amp paste succeeds on the second attempt It doesn t start happening constantly after the first incidence it is totally at random but it does increase in frequency The second issue is newer having existed for about a month the oldest System Restore point always gets corrupted Whenever I empty out my restore points following a significant change I now start out with two restore points and let the first one serve as a sort of buffer Still I am extremely anal about system stability and find this less than acceptable I have attached event logs for both incidents SFC isn t finding any problems and malware scans come up clean as always Any help would be appreciated but I d much prefer a quot patch and move forward quot solution involving a targeted fix starting from scratch is overkill for minor issues like these IMO as Windows will eventually find another way to break itself Everything else works flawlessly at the moment it s just these two little bugs annoying me to no end Thanks in advance Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU M GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard TOSHIBA Portable PC Version A Antivirus None nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/oldest-restore-point-always-gets-corrupted-cut-paste-crashes-windows-explorer.974903/
Relevancy 78.26%

I went into Task Scheduler and set System Restore to create a restore point every day at 12:01am. Under Conditions I cleared all the check boxes because I want SR to run regardless of whether computer is idle or not. I have been watching this for about 1 week and so far it's not created a single restore point. Under History there's no entry, and the tab itself actually say "History (disabled)", not sure what that's about. Suggestion?

A:System restore not creating restore point

Maybe something here will help: Change How Often System Restore Creates Restore Points in Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

Says 7 and Vista but should apply to 8 as well.

I've not tried it yet though.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/14697-system-restore-not-creating-restore-point.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I need to a system restore point file without getting into the desktop through Windows 7.

A:Creating a restore point.

Boot the DVD to the Recovery Environment and run System Restore.

(You can't get individual files from a System Restore point, if that is what you are asking, but shadow copis of all your files are probably on your hard drive. What version of 7 do you have?)

Shadow copies are made in Windows 7 any time a file is deleted (and "moved" is a deletion since the file is deleted from one place and recreated at another). The shadow copies are not accessible in all versions of 7 though all versions create them. Copies of every file on the computer are made every time a restore point is made.

Are you trying to restore a restore point or get a lost file?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/creating-a-restore-point.1011121/
Relevancy 78.26%

When you create a Restore Point, what do you use for a name? Can someone give me an example?

A:Creating a Restore Point?

I doesn't make any difference whatsoever. You could name it cwilmot, if you wished.

But sometimes it makes sense to name it after an action you're performing, so you'll know which one to use. Let's say your installing some new software ( a firewall) and want to make a restore point before. Then you could name it - "Installed Firewall" for instance. Hope that answers your question.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/creating-a-restore-point.661518/
Relevancy 78.26%

creating a restore point lags on my computer and gives me error 0x81000101 help please

Relevancy 78.26%

Will some one please advise me how to create a restore point. I use win xp pro.with service pack2.In case I create such restore point manually, I understand this could not be deleted or altered later even it cannot be renamed.It it necessary and safe to create such restore point.

A:creating restore point

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Restore points can be deleted (mainly to save space), and you are also allowed to undo a restore if you would prefer your system the way it was previously.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/creating-restore-point-71519.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hey everyone,I posted recently about some viruses I had, and one of the guys here was very helpful in working me through everything. At the end he instructed me to do a system restore and I happily tried to oblige, but when I clicked on system restore through system tools under accessories my computer told me that system restore was "turned off by group policy" and that I'd have to have an admin change it. I thought I was the admin of my own personal computer, so that was weird. Regardless, I did a little digging and found this method to turn system restore on. Problem is that my computer does not have a system properties dialog box under my computer, so that doesn't work for me either. Does anyone have any other tips or tricks for turning system restore on in XP?Thanks in advance!

A:Need Help Creating a New Restore Point

Are you saying that you cannot get the box up by right clicking on the My Computer Icon and selecting 'properties'?

One way is to open Control Panel and double click on System. That should give you the box, with the system restore
tab at top left.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/403564/need-help-creating-a-new-restore-point/
Relevancy 78.26%

Is there a way to manually create a restore point (like right before I know I'm going to do something stupid like try to edit the registry?)

A:Creating a Restore Point

Hello Aintnorock,

Yes, there sure is. This can help show you how to.

System Restore Point - Create

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/138563-creating-restore-point.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi. I am running Windows Vista and needing to put my computer back to a date about 5 days ago. I somehow had a virus load and when I google how to do this, it says I will get an option of choosing a different restore point, but I do not. I get the Restore system files and settings, but no way to pick a different restore point. It has 06/06 on there, but no other choices. Please help as I want to restore it to about 06/01. Thanks!

I posted the above in the Vista section, but got a response that said Malware very commonly affects using the system restore as I do not have the choose a different restore point option. I probably do have Malware, but not sure where it is or how to get rid of it so I can do a system restore. Help please.
Thanks!

A:Creating a different restore point

Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download Farbar Service Scanner (FSS) and run it on the computer with the issue.Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet ServicesWindows FirewallSystem RestoreSecurity Center/Action CenterWindows UpdateWindows DefenderPress "Scan".It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.Please copy and paste the log to your reply.====================================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsReport FF Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList Winsock EntriesList last 10 Event Viewer logList Installed ProgramsList Devices (do NOT change any settings here)List Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Download aswMBR to your desktop.Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.If you see this question: Would you like to download latest Avast! virus definitions?" say "Yes".Click the "Scan" button to start scan.On completion of the scan click "Save log", save it to your desktop and post in your next reply.NOTE. aswMBR will create MBR.dat file on your desktop. This is a copy of your MBR. Do NOT delete it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/456078/creating-a-different-restore-point/
Relevancy 78.26%

hey should i create an restore point right away before i start scheduling them in ? just to be sure it all works first? thanks

A:creating a restore point

no harm in creating one,
i use this method for creating restore points. i boot daily so its good having a very recent point should anything mess up that day

System Restore Point : Create at System Startup

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/260693-creating-restore-point.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Because windows 7 is getting really slow, I decided to start fresh with it. Going into system restore, I find the original restore point. As I click on it, it says the file is not found. My "backup recovery" drive is a partitioned C drive. Could I find this file? Or Could I somehow format my harddrive or reset to factory defaults or anything to start fresh?

Compaq Presario CQ61-420US notebbook
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
3 GB ram
Amd Athlon II Dual Core M320

A:Restoring windows to original point, can't find restore point

Back up any important files that you want to keep first.
Use an External drive, flash drive or CD/DVD.

Quote:
Restore the PC to its original condition using the f11 key if Windows 7 is not accessible
Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager from within Windows 7

Quote:
Create a set of operating system recovery discs

You can use HP Recovery Manager to create a personal set of recovery discs. When you select the Recovery disc creation process, the HP Recovery Manager examines the PC and determines how many blank DVD discs will be required. Depending on the model, you will need up to three DVD-R or DVD+R (Non-read/writeable) discs. The creation process can take up to an hour or more. Do not interrupt the creation process.

Recover Windows 7 Operating System Using HP Recovery Compaq Presario CQ61-420US Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Post back if any questions, plus let us know how it's going.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/228600-restoring-windows-original-point-cant-find-restore-point.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD E1-2500 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 22 Model 0 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3542 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 8240, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 933853 MB, Free - 887018 MB; D: Total - 18503 MB, Free - 2265 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 2AFD
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2014, Updated and Enabled

I am trying to create a restore point. When I go to the 'System Protection Tab' I get a dialogue box saying:
System restore uncounted an error.
Unexpected error in the property page
Close property box and try again.

Every time I try this I get the same result. Can anyone help please?.

A:Difficulty creating restore point

Two things you can try initially.
If you have a third party anti virus program installed, disable it temporarily, and try again. Norton can be a beast with this.

secondly. Open "services.msc". scroll down to "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider" and, if it is not running, click it and start it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/difficulty-creating-restore-point.1133191/
Relevancy 77.4%

ok, this is a really stupid question.

How do you create a restore point on XP through the GUI?

I've looked in Control Panel, system, system restore and found no process to create or restore anything. It must be somewhere else. I've looked at MS documentation on the web, searching on "create a system restore poin" and got documentation on how to do that in WMI in software, but that seems overly teckie, at least for me.

Where do I look? What's embarrasing is I've done this before, but don't remember how.

Please schlep me some hints?

Relevancy 77.4%

Having a problem with system restore. It keeps telling me I dont have enough storage space available to set a restore point. One hd I have 248 megs free and the other 2.4 gig. I never had this problem before and it wont let me delete the restore point from my hd. I am at a loss. Thanks.
KEN

Relevancy 77.4%

I've done it before on this very lap top,yet this time when I created my restore point it's not on the list of restore points available
Of course,when you buy a computer these days,they don't supply os discs or any files for all the pre-loaded apps to reinstall after you restore or even refresh.There was a list of points that were all within the last 5 days and that's not far enough so I
deleted those points but my created one is nowhere to be found.help please.My system is 8.1,not 7...

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/096ad59d-834b-41d1-88d7-7601dc8787bd/whereamp39s-the-restore-point-that-it-said-it-was-successful-in-creating?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello,
On My Vista SP1 when I request to create a restore point it takes 5 minutes between the request and the possibility to create it . The "system" search for 5 minutes see attached screenshots.
How to reduce the time needed?
Thanks in advance.

A:Creating A Restore Point Takes 5 Minuts

hi,,,, when you making a restore point open task manager and take a look at how much cpu and ram is being used,,, if there is a lot of your pc's resorces being used this could be why its taking so long,,, shut as much stuff down as you can,,,, ie,, open programs and apps,,, and then try again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/173051/creating-a-restore-point-takes-5-minuts/
Relevancy 76.54%

I've tried a link that depicted a small box to click on..if a restore point older than 5 days was needed.
That box does not show up on my Home Vista program.... half dozen or more previous restore dates are shown..all within the last 5 days where attempts to restore top an earlier time ...was exhibited..... "creating" a new restore point.. giving it a name... does nothing except adding that new name to the last restore point.,

There definitely IS a small option box depicted on the link that I have been following,...My Vista progfram does not show it.

XP, on my other PC has no problem going back weeks or months.

Does someone know what I'm overlooking?,

Oneoldman.... very old !

Relevancy 76.54%

Hi,

Need to fix an issue occured when creating a restore point I got the following error under Vista 32bits:

"The task object version is either unsupported or invalid."

Thanks in advance.

A:Error 0x80041313 when creating a restore point

Did you do any Windows updates recently? That's about the only thing I can find on it. If so try restoring to a point before the last update cycle if you have the restore point.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/301274-error-0x80041313-when-creating-restore-point.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello,
I am trying to mess around with my system restore settings because they are eating up alot of my harddrive space.

What I want to do is create one restore point of my current system and then turn off the automatic system restore feature. However, turning off the feature tells me that it will delete all existing restore points and then turn off the automatic ones.

Is there a way to just create one and turn it off?

Thanks

A:Creating single system restore point

Hi, afraid turning it off deletes all restore points. You need to use a third party program for this I use ERUNT and have it instead of system restore. You can create a system backup and restore to that date if you so wish. Will create an autobackup regime of 30 days for you and as it backs up only the registry takes up less then 3.6 Gb per month then deletes oldest and continues. It is a far more complete registry restore then Vista and is invaluable for overcoming Virus and malware problems. Can be run from a windows RE command prompt to restore.

Alternatively you can continue to use system restore just limit the amt of disk space/shadow copy allocated to it (typically 15% so 250 gb has around 37.5 gb set aside) A typical Vista restore needs around 300 mgbs so 4gb is more then enough. Go to start, all programs, accessories right click command prompt and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

Code:
vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C: /On=C: /MaxSize=4GB
Link for ERUNT:-
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/creating-single-system-restore-point-322077.html
Relevancy 76.54%

When I try to create a restore point on Win10 I get the message access denied 0x80070005. I've gone in and increased the usage to 14%, I've tried to create the shortcut on Windows central with the same results.
How do I fix this?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/436351-creating-restore-point-access-denied.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello guys,

Am trying to creat a restore point via Task Manager to run every day, but no luck so far.

Included 2 PRTSCRN where you can see what is done so far.

Strange program sometimes starts but i do not find any usable file. Probram not Always starts (Always get a capital letter in Always....)

When starting the program manually it never ends, still no files that i can use.

Any help is appreciated, the program used ithe one Brink offered in the tutorials. Do not know what i do wrong.

thanks
Jeff

i have to leave for France for 2 days, back on Wednesday morning, so i will not be responding before that. Just to let you know.

A:Creating a Restore Point via Task Manager.....

The problem is, that even when you create a restore point, it will not create anything of value, unless there were any noticeable system changes and if they were, system restore would run automatically anyway. I have just created one and its size is 1,66 MB. It would be probably better to use something else, like:

Best Free Drive Cloning Software

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/52930-creating-restore-point-via-task-manager.html
Relevancy 76.54%

i remember back then it wouldnt be good to keep restore points as it could make viruses linger, or just was not reliable

is that still the case? or is it worth making restore points?

A:is it worth creating a restore point? for safety

Use a good A/V. I suggest Microsoft Security Essentials in conjunction with Malwarebytes.

System restore points should be made at least once a week. You will have a problem one day (we all do) and you will be glad that you have the restore points. You can set them to be made automatically via task scheduler.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/61252-worth-creating-restore-point-safety.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I am not very technical.

I am a Dell 5521 Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

When I go to make a Restore Point I see 2 partitions: RECOVERY and OS (C

Recovery is Off and OS C: is On.

I know the Recovery partition never changes and I am just making a restore point for the C: drive.

I just want to make sure that if I ever need to use the Restore Point it will not clobber or hurt the RECOVERY partition.

Do I need to back up both partitions with the Restore Point or can I leave it as it is.

A:Creating a Restore Point With Multiple Partitions ... Need Help

Hello Tori, and welcome to Seven Forums.

That would be correct to only have System Protection turned on for your C: (Windows) drive/partition and not for the RECOVERY partition. You don't want to have anything being saved on the RECOVERY partition. System Protection - Turn On or Off
Afterwards, you could also set the maximum disk space usage on the C: drive to be used for storing restore points to what you like.System Protection - Change Disk Space Usage
If you wanted to have a full system image backup instead, then you could create a system image and save it to a separate location (ex: external hard drive).

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/290403-creating-restore-point-multiple-partitions-need-help.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I'm using XP Home Ed., and I recently had to restore using a month old restore point. I've since been able to create a more current one only once.
If I try to create another new restore point, I'm getting "unable to create a system restore point at this time. please restart your system and try again."
Tried that many times, no luck. Is there a limit to the number of times this
procedure can be done? Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

A:Problems creating system restore point

Hi,

See if this aricle applies.
You Cannot Create a Restore Point with a HighPoint Driver Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322246&sd=RMVP

xpshovelhd said:

I'm using XP Home Ed., and I recently had to restore using a month old restore point. I've since been able to create a more current one only once.
If I try to create another new restore point, I'm getting "unable to create a system restore point at this time. please restart your system and try again."
Tried that many times, no luck. Is there a limit to the number of times this
procedure can be done? Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks. Click to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-creating-system-restore-point.365868/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi, I have a quick question. When you export the whole registry by exporting the computer key (see attachment), is that the same thing as creating a restore point? Or does creating a restore involve something more than just exporting the whole registry? If it is just like creating a restore point, is clicking and merging the backup registry file just like reverting back to the restore point?

Thank you in advance for whoever has an answer!

Relevancy 75.68%

Hi,

I purchased a new laptop as a bridge until I can get a new desk top. It has W8 and came pre loaded with NIS, which I hate. I'm sure it also came with other un-necessary stuff that I would like to remove. But before doing so I would like to create a restore point so in case I decide to get a different laptop within the next 2 weeks I can give it back the way I bought it.

A:CReating a Restore Point in W8 and remove some of the crap that was pre loaded

Most laptops come with a recovery partition that you can use to return the pc to factory specs. This is your best option if you do decide to return it as evidence of your use and even some personal information can be left behind by simply doing a system restore as opposed to a factory restore which will wipe the drive and make everything as it was when you bought it. Check your manual for info on the factory restore.

As far as removing NIS, remove it as you would any program through Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features (if thats hasn't changed from Win 7, no Win 8 here but you'll find it). Once that is done you can then download run the Norton Removal tool from the URL below to clean up any leftovers.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080828154508EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500949/creating-a-restore-point-in-w8-and-remove-some-of-the-crap-that-was-pre-loaded/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi,

I am presently running the Windows 7 Pro OS and I am continually having a problem creating a restore point. I receive the following error message:The creation of a shadow copy has timed out. Try this operation again. (0x81000101). I would appreciate any assistance given to help resolve this problem.

Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Creating a Restore Point Error Message

Error Code 0x81000101 displayed. -- Cannot create system restore - Microsoft Community

?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-creating-a-restore-point-error-message-879857.html
Relevancy 75.68%

converted windows xp home from FAT32 to NTFS.

Had to reboot for conversion to take place

Computer rebooted but locked at 45% on creating a new restore point.

Cannot boot to safe mode. And of course, when I need to find OS CD--I cannot locate.

I have surfed and cannot come up with a solution to locking during the creation of the restore point. Everything leads me to booting to safe or reformatting.

Any ideas??

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/244732/computer-locks-during-intializingcreating-new-restore-point/
Relevancy 73.53%

My questions are on Windows System Restore Restore Points and Backups specifically potentially using a Backup as a Permanent Restore Point Here is the situation About a month ago I did a complete Factory Restore on my HP desktop and returned it to it's factory condition After removing the bloatware and performing all the necessary Windows Updates the Factory Restore process went off without any issues Today however I needed to use System Restore due to an issue I was having with multiple monitors that I just couldn't figure out So I went into System Restore and found a quot Date andTime quot of a restore point that was right around the same time I did the Factory Restore That Restore Point Saving - Backup a System Windows Restore, Permanant Restore Point 7 & was also the oldest and Windows 7 - System Restore, Saving a Backup & Permanant Restore Point since I knew it was a known amp good restore point I decided to use Windows 7 - System Restore, Saving a Backup & Permanant Restore Point it That restore point quot Description quot was labeled quot System Image Restore Point quot and the quot Type quot was labeled quot Backup quot See Image I don't recall setting up or doing any backups although between Windows Backup Norton Backup and HP's Backup utilities some type of backup obviously happened FYI I hate having all those options as I'd rather use native Windows tools In any case today I used the System Restore using the System Image Restore Point labeled as Backup and after performing a few minor Windows Updates everything went off without a hitch and my monitor problem was solved However seeing that Restore point being labeled as quot Backup quot I got curious about that Backup so I went into quot Control Panel quot then quot System and Security quot and then quot Backup and Restore quot to try to find the backup although it was not found by Windows See Image Questions Where is that Backup file and how do I find it Again System Restore found it amp restored it successfully so obviously it's somewhere In System Restore are restore points labeled as quot Type quot quot Backup quot always saved or are they eventually overwritten Moving forward how do I or can I save quot quot permanent good backup forever without writing over it I would like to have one Backup or Image that I can always revert to Moreover I don't want to keep creating multiple Backups as I'd rather have quot one known good backup quot that I can save and always revert to every few months or so Plus by doing so I could always perform necessary Windows Updates and then resave another new backup FYI on my SSD C Drive I only save Windows Office and necessary system software packages like PDF Flash amp Antivirus Software as well as hardware drivers amp settings for Printer Mouse Keyboard etc All of my documents amp files are stored on a separate TB internal hard drive amp backup up to an external hard drive so my goal is to keep my C Drive fresh amp clean with the goal of reverting and resaving those drive settings every couple months or so I do realize Backup amp Image are not the same but if someone can explain a good process on how to do this I would appreciate it My research indicates a lot of people ask this question and there area variety of opinions answers amp methods I don't want to use any rd party software certainly not the Norton Comcast backup software I have as I just want to use the native tools in Windows Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Windows 7 - System Restore, Saving a Backup & Permanant Restore Point

ad 1) restore points are in the shadowstorage

ad 2) yes they are overwritten when the shadowstorage is full. You can set the size of the shadowstorage with vssadmin

ad 3) for permanent backups I suggest imaging. There you control the images yourself.

Imaging with free Macrium

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/390525-windows-7-system-restore-saving-backup-permanant-restore-point.html
Relevancy 73.53%

My questions are on Windows System Restore Restore Points and Backups specifically potentially using a Backup as a Permanent Restore Point Here is the situation About a month ago I did a complete Factory Restore on my HP desktop and returned - & Backup Saving Restore, System Point Windows Restore 7 a Permanant it to it's factory condition After removing the bloatware and performing all Windows 7 - System Restore, Saving a Backup & Permanant Restore Point the necessary Windows Updates the Factory Restore process went off without any issues Today however I needed to use System Restore due to an issue I was having with multiple monitors that I just couldn't figure out So I went into System Restore and found a quot Date andTime quot of a restore point that was right around the same time I did the Factory Restore That Restore Point was also the oldest and since I knew it was a known amp good restore point I decided to use it That restore point quot Description quot was labeled quot System Image Restore Point quot and the quot Type quot was labeled quot Backup quot See Image I don't recall setting up or doing any backups although between Windows Backup Norton Backup and HP's Backup utilities some type of backup obviously happened FYI I hate having all those options as I'd rather use native Windows tools In any case today I used the System Restore using the System Image Restore Point labeled as Backup and after performing a few minor Windows Updates everything went off without a hitch and my monitor problem was solved However seeing that Restore point being labeled as quot Backup quot I got curious about that Backup so I went into quot Control Panel quot then quot System and Security quot and then quot Backup and Restore quot to try to find the backup although it was not found by Windows See Image Questions Where is that Backup file and how do I find it Again System Restore found it amp restored it successfully so obviously it's somewhere In System Restore are restore points labeled as quot Type quot quot Backup quot always saved or are they eventually overwritten Moving forward how do I or can I save quot quot permanent good backup forever without writing over it I would like to have one Backup or Image that I can always revert to Moreover I don't want to keep creating multiple Backups as I'd rather have quot one known good backup quot that I can save and always revert to every few months or so Plus by doing so I could always perform necessary Windows Updates and then resave another new backup FYI on my SSD C Drive I only save Windows Office and necessary system software packages like PDF Flash amp Antivirus Software as well as hardware drivers amp settings for Printer Mouse Keyboard etc All of my documents amp files are stored on a separate TB internal hard drive amp backup up to an external hard drive so my goal is to keep my C Drive fresh amp clean with the goal of reverting and resaving those drive settings every couple months or so I do realize Backup amp Image are not the same but if someone can explain a good process on how to do this I would appreciate it My research indicates a lot of people ask this question and there area variety of opinions answers amp methods I don't want to use any rd party software certainly not the Norton Comcast backup software I have as I just want to use the native tools in Windows Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Windows 7 - System Restore, Saving a Backup & Permanant Restore Point

ad 1) restore points are in the shadowstorage

ad 2) yes they are overwritten when the shadowstorage is full. You can set the size of the shadowstorage with vssadmin

ad 3) for permanent backups I suggest imaging. There you control the images yourself.

Imaging with free Macrium

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/390525-windows-7-system-restore-saving-backup-permanant-restore-point.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi Ok I borke world recored for formating windows the last months The problem is Windows System restore keep freezing I'm not trying to do system restore but when I try to install remove a software windows try to create restore point making the installation removing prograss freeze till the process fail takes about an hour to Installation removing will continues after This windows is days old issue keep getting back after each format sometimes after weeks sometimes after few days once happened after installing graphic driver was first and only create Can't restore restore 7 point. / system . Windows thing installed Sometimes it works fine after reboot then refuse to Windows 7 system restore point. Can't create / restore . work hour later I turned system protection off the installing removing works fine I tried tracking the issue but it happens Windows 7 system restore point. Can't create / restore . randomly Is this another windows bug What could trigger this issue I did full scan Kasper Sky Avast and Nod system is clean Removed Anti viruse Reinstalled repaired windows through upgrade issue still exist not fixed System restore works fine in safe mode Any help would be appreciated Thanks

A:Windows 7 system restore point. Can't create / restore .

I solved this issue. Might someone els find this thread helpful.

Since it worked in safe mode and not in normal mode , there must be something perventing it from this.
in MSconfig , I unchecked all startup , and all services , except Microsoft services , System point was working fine then, I enabled few services and startup till I found the software causing this issue , it was graphic tweaking tool that comes with graphic card driver (Zotac fire storm ) I unistalled it , but it wasn't enough , I had to remove the startup entry manualy , now system working perfectly .

I hope this methode helps people that suffering from smiliar issue .
Note : If it fail to create restore point in safe mode , probably system file is damaged , and the above might not work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/208743-windows-7-system-restore-point-cant-create-restore.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, and hope someone can really help me. I homeschool my grandchildren and I can't afford to service my pc. I'm using HP vista home version, and I want to restore my pc to an earlier date than what is listed. Those dates are not earlier enough, the pc needs to be restored to two months ago, before it started acting up. Does anyone know how to that??My pc shuts down with the message: THERE WAS A FATAL ERROR AND WINDOWS HAS SHUT DOWN.PLEASE HELP,Thanking anyone and all in advance.fuzzy75Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:How to restore windows vista to an earlier restore point

You can't. Whatever restore points are available is all there is. In the future I strongly suggest you consider using Disk Imaging Software.

Disk Imaging software takes a "snapshot" of your drive as it exists at the time you create the image. You can then restore the entire image or any file(s) or folder(s) you choose. It is a virtually foolproof way of backing up your system and providing a safe haven in the event of a catastrophe that requires you to blow away your system partition and restore it to a previous state. It also allows you to "test" various software and be confident that you have a the ability to return to the prior state any time you choose.
I use Acronis True Image. It is the best of breed, but it isn't free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

1) I create an image of my system partition once a week to a second hard drive and keep the 2 or 3 most recent images. I also image my other partitions about once a month. I always enable "verify image" in the options. It takes a little longer, but insures a valid image.
2) I also create an image before performing any drive level function (ie, changing the size of a partition) or making any significant change to the OS (installing a service pack, upgrading IE, etc). Also sometimes before installing new software.
3) Images may be created on any medium (cd, dvd, external drive, etc). For obvious reasons they should not be stored on the same drive you are imaging. The best option is a second internal hd if you have one.
4) Images may be created "in the background" within the OS. If you need to restore the system partition, that will need to be done before the OS loads. You can start the process within the application in the OS and it will then tell you it needs to reboot to finish the process. Alternatively, you can boot to a "recovery disk" which you can create when you first install the software (or to the application disk itself if you have one). Other partitions can be restored without a reboot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/402353/how-to-restore-windows-vista-to-an-earlier-restore-point/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello.

I wondered. if i created a restore point on Windows 7 Home 32bit then updated to Windows 7 ultimate 64bit would that restore point restore Windows back to the home edition?

A:will a restore point restore windows to previous version?

Quote: Originally Posted by MonsterKiller

Hello.

I wondered. if i created a restore point on Windows 7 Home 32bit then updated to Windows 7 ultimate 64bit would that restore point restore Windows back to the home edition?

Putting it simple No you would end up overwriting the 32 bit so it would not even be there.
Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/161470-will-restore-point-restore-windows-previous-version.html
Relevancy 69.66%

HelloFirst, I'm from Belgium and my english is not that good!I'm sorry! I had problems with internet and I have made a restore point in Windows 8.That was not a problem, the computer restarted and that's normal. But the computer continues to restore and it doesn't advance to the desktop...I wait for a long time, but there is no change...I have already restart the computer, but computer screen doesn't change.What do I have to do?Thanks!LisaMod edit:moved to Windows 8 ~~boopme

A:Restore point Windows 8

If you have an installation or recovery dvd or usb try running your restore from that. I had success doing it that way.
Just a thought, if you haven't put much on this machine yet you could also use the refresh setting. Finally if you do have docs, pictures, etc that you need to back up see if you can get a Linux Live Distro (Mint - Ubuntu - Knoppix. Use it to boot your machine and you can copy your important items to a flash drive or other location.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/484313/restore-point-windows-8/
Relevancy 69.66%

I have successfully installed Windows 8 on my desktop PC, but I have tried to install Windows media centre and I keep getting an error message cannot find a restore point. I am fairly new to working with a PC any much appreciated.
Regards Peter

A:restore point in windows 8

Where are you getting this "Windows Media Center" to install?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restore-point-in-windows-8.1079475/
Relevancy 69.66%

I needed to check something out...so I used the Restore point feature in WinXP that was from and earlier point in time. When I restored it back to the current point it was at My HD both C: and D: Drives Lost a good chunk of space. I'm not sure as to why I lost all that space from both drives on the C it was over 1.5 gigs and on D: drive about 1 gig..or vice versa. Can restore point cause this sort of havoc because i'm lost as to why this occured. Any info appreciated..thanks in advance.

A:Windows XP Restore Point

Run Error Checking, which may fix the problem. Select Start, My Computer, right the drive and select Properties, and the Tools tab to access it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-restore-point.213401/
Relevancy 69.66%

I cannot set up restore point! It said: "It doesn't have enough disc space."
Even I have slider moved to maximum disc space (configured), somehow it doesn't recognize that and I still have the same message! Please, help....I tried everywhere, but people helping me out with suggestions I already know! Do you have something new!? Thank you in advance!

A:Windows 8.1 - restore point

Everybody said go there and there and increase memory size, set up restore point etc.....I KNOW WHAT TO DO, BUT I CANNOT................

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/49513-windows-8-1-restore-point.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I have an Acer Laptop running the bit version of Vista When I create a System closing when not Restore Windows saved Restore point the system confirms the successful creation System Restore not saved when closing Windows Next time I boot the system and try to use System Restore I'm told a restore point has not yet been created The system has two hard drives designated C D and a partition designated as PDQ presumably where the original factory Vista and other programs installation resides for use in a clean install System Restore not saved when closing Windows this is Acers own recovery solution but to factory settings only thus losing all other data in the event you need to recover the system from a serious error When I set a Restore point I check all three boxes PDQ C D then when complete all three options show the successful creation of a Restore Point marked against each However when I next boot the system and check the Restore Points it only shows Restore Points created against PDQ and D The system does confirm that Sytem Restore is switched on for the C drive Since the active operating system resides on C along with all my files and Programs I'm therefore unable to recover to an earlier system time to fix any problems I currently get round this by creating a mirror image of the entire system on an external drive but it's time consuming to restore from this and vexing that I cannot simply keep a restore point on the laptop itself Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong please Thanks

A:System Restore not saved when closing Windows

The first step would be to

Make sure that you have enough free space for the SR
Then report back.

For both 7 and Vista
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ace-usage.html

Pay attention to the question about required space
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
Turn off the SR for that drive then reboot, and turn on. It may work

Disable the Anti Virus for test purposes.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/284603-system-restore-not-saved-when-closing-windows.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I m just knowledgable enough to windows system point restore XP be REALly dangerous on a computer this is my first forum entry and I tried to follow the quot windows xp system restore quot tutorial but am still stuck Our year old Vaio windows XP system restore point with xp-home has been running slower than dried mud lately I ve already defragged what is left of the free disc space about and did a disc cleanup Avast for the last scans has found many files that cannot be scanned About weeks ago they were all dll files I tried to do a speed test earlier tonight for other reasons as we are on a satellite ISP and I need to find something faster which failed due to quot latency test error quot I ran another Avast scan to see what changed and now there are many more files not able to be scanned some dll png and many others Unfortunately I did not make screen prints of the results and I did not run the spyware downloads or the malware downloads noted in a different tutorial yet I hoped I could make it all go away by restoring back in time all of this is background info to get to my point I read thru many tutorials and now forums but need further help after working thru the tutorial clicking and unclicking the turn off system restore button I tried to do a system restore to a previous point in time and only see today s restore point bolded on the calendar tried to go back to find other restore points but the calendar will not go back in time I see no sense in restoring the computer to today s restore point as there is a problem now but see no other options in the restore point calendar help it s too late early and I m stopping for now I am typing this on a newer laptop so I can read the tutorials and refer back to the stuck Sony Vaio

A:windows XP system restore point

The problem you are describing with system restore can sometimes be caused by malware. I'm moving this topic to the forum where we can begin addressing your computer problems.

Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/433916/windows-xp-system-restore-point/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi Could anyone please help with these questions I have related to restore points in WIndows please What exactly does the 'Show more restore points' check box do This is found from control panel gt recovery gt open sytem restore gt Windows - Questions Restore Point 8.1 choose a different restore point gt next I thought it might hide older restore points but this doesn't seem to be the case Restore Point Questions - Windows 8.1 When I check this only one additional restore point appears of type 'backup' and it is not the oldest one I don't get the point of this setting Why not just show all restore points all the time Does anyone have a link to a site which describes what the different restore point types are please I'm seeing these types - manual backup system install critical Restore Point Questions - Windows 8.1 update Why would you need to configure system restore to work on non-system drives When you click control panel gt recovery gt configure system restore under the 'Protection settings' area you can select different drives and then when you click 'configure' it allows you to switch on off system Restore Point Questions - Windows 8.1 protection and set the disk space usage for non-system drives I'm a bit confused as to why you'd want need to do this for non-system drives In my case my system drive is the C drive and teh other two drives contain nothing other than data Maybe if I had installed application on these drives then this this would be when I'd need to turn on system protection here How often are restore points automatically created by default and is it possible to adjust this to make them more frequent I appreciate that you can create these manually but I'd prefere to automate if possible Many thanks for any help Cheers

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/76227-restore-point-questions-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Good morning everyone, I am having a problem with my system. Windows will not reboot for me and I have booted from the windows 7 cd, ran the repair option but the system restore points have vanished. I have tried doing a repair install but with no restore points what do I? I have way too much data stored on this laptop that I can not afford to lose.

Can someone please help me before I jump off the bridge....

Relevancy 68.8%

Hi Could anyone please help with Windows - Questions 8.1 Restore Point these questions I have related to restore points in WIndows please What exactly does the 'Show more restore points' check box do This is found from control panel gt recovery gt open sytem restore gt choose a different restore point gt next I thought it might hide older restore points but Restore Point Questions - Windows 8.1 this doesn't seem to be the case When I check this only one additional restore point appears of type 'backup' and it is not the oldest one I don't get the point of this setting Why not just show all restore points all the time Does anyone have a link to a site which describes what the different restore point types are please I'm seeing these types - manual backup system install critical update Why would you need to configure system restore to work on non-system drives When you click control panel gt recovery gt configure system restore under the 'Protection settings' area you can select different drives and then when you click 'configure' it allows you to switch on off system protection and set the disk space usage for non-system drives I'm a bit confused as to why you'd want need to do this for non-system drives In my case my system drive is the C drive and teh other two drives contain nothing other than data Maybe if I had installed application on these drives then this this would be when I'd need to turn on system protection here How often are restore points automatically created by default and is it possible to adjust this to make them more frequent I appreciate that you can create these manually but I'd prefere to automate if possible Many thanks for any help Cheers

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/76227-restore-point-questions-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi everyone I am new to these forums and this is my first post . I am using windows 7 ultimate and system is running smoothly but I am afraid things can be messed up .

I could set a restore point in XP I couldn't find same function in windows 7

kindly help in this regard

thank you

A:How can I set a system restore point like I used to do in windows XP

Hello Asifnaz, and welcome to Seven Forums.

These may be able to help you.

System Restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/198295-how-can-i-set-system-restore-point-like-i-used-do-windows-xp.html
Relevancy 68.8%

I have a new Sony z After completing installation and while updating files I noticed a yellow warning notice associated with my N wireless This warning popped up every tme I tried to connect wirelessly even though a connection was made I reviewed the event viewer and decided to restore to an earlier point The computer would not restore and indicated it was probably due to an anti-virus program It also reported a x Windows 7 to Won't previous point Restore error I turned off the anti-virus program Noton but it still would not restore I tried to Windows 7 Won't Restore to previous point restore in safemode and it worked Eventually I reformatted and reinstalled the system Both problem reoccured The interesting thing is that I have a friend with a new Lenovo W He has the exact same problem Windows 7 Won't Restore to previous point when it comes to restore He does not have the warning notice My computer uses an I - while the Lenovo uses an i - I have an N wireless he has an N We both use Norton trial Both systems have discrete graphics and can be toggled Any idea s what the problem is and how it can be resolved The Sony service department seems lost It looks to me like an endemic problem associated with W and Intel

A:Windows 7 Won't Restore to previous point

Try something ... download Microsoft Security Essentials
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Disable ALL Norton/Symantec services (type services.msc in start search window)

Now click to make sure MSE is running and updated. See if returning to a previous restore point is still blocked.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/72735-windows-7-wont-restore-previous-point.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Help Here s the quick rundown It is a Dell Dimension Desktop had been having Windows Restore Nightmare XP Point issues w IE locking up since the installation of Photoshop Did a System Restore to a date about a week before the installation when system was running fine After the quot restart quot part of the restore function all we got was the blue desktop screen with the Windows XP logo not the BSOD Windows XP Restore Point Nightmare but Windows XP Restore Point Nightmare it might as well be since I can t get past this screen Tried to restart several times same result Tried to restart in safe mode but can t get it to restart in safe mode I know now that I should have been pressing F not F to get it to try to boot in safe mode Got out the Dell quot Help quot manual and followed the instructions to boot to run diagnostics and all checked out fine the green lights on the back of CPU indicate all is well Any idea why it is not booting past this point How do I fix this I forgot to mention that I attempted Ctrl-Alt-Del to access the task manager with no effect and tried the windows key on the keyboard with no result there as well nbsp

A:Windows XP Restore Point Nightmare

Hi and welcome to TSG
F1 or Delete..for safe mode in Dell Pc's.
Try.
Boot from Cd...when prompted press [R]
Choose Windows installation [typically by pressing [1]
When prompted for password.
Press Return. [Enter]
Type chkdsk /r [note space ]
Window will fix errors..
Type Exit
And press Return.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-restore-point-nightmare.586781/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi,

I have just tried to create a restore point, and it says, Access is denied. (0x80070005). Please try again.

I am running windows 7 64bit.

All work well last week, the only thing downloaded was windows own updates.

Hope someone can help!

Keith.

A:Windows will not create a restore point

Try this:

System Restore Point Shortcut

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/66965-windows-will-not-create-restore-point.html
Relevancy 68.8%

All of a sudden my computer will not restore from a restore point. I have used it in the past with no problem, but my latest attempt fails and gives the message:

"System Restore did not complete successfully, Your computer's files and settings were not changed.
Details;
System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer . Temporally disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore, (0x80070005)

I have disabled Windows Defender real time protection, but System Restore will still not work.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

A:Windows 8.1 Not restoring from a restore point

Run a malware scan using Malwarebytes Free

Run sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt

Try System Restore in Safe Mode.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/66218-windows-8-1-not-restoring-restore-point.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Intro Here is my problem I have a good HDD with all my installed programs that work with Windows my computer crapped so I had to canabilize my computer to salvage what I could ReInstall Windows Obvisouly a previous installation of windows will NOT play nice with a different motherboard I get the unholy Blue Screen of Death and then suicide restart I reinstalled Windows on to another harddrive and contacted Microsoft for product key assistance Software and Licenses My heartache is not only having to reinstall every bit of software that I own my biggest problem are the licenseing issues point, into No backup. Go old No HDD, on restore Windows with the serial numbers that have to be activated online or DEACTIVATED prior to Go into Windows on old HDD, No restore point, No backup. screwing up your computer Virtual Speculation I do know there are programs out there that will emulate windows Virtual Box is a Go into Windows on old HDD, No restore point, No backup. popular program that lets you emulate any OS on pretty much any other OS for those who dont know what I am talking about good bye At this point I am stumped because most of these programs use ISO versions of Windows I need to emulate my Go into Windows on old HDD, No restore point, No backup. specific version of windows straight from the HDD so that I can go back and back up or at least DEACTIVATE what I can Programs like Photoshop CS iTunes Norton Im trying to be honest and stay within the law here I paid hundreds of dollars for these programs I want them back

A:Go into Windows on old HDD, No restore point, No backup.

So, log story short.

I want to jump back into that specific Windows 7 straight from the HDD without needing to create a Virtual Image.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/214392-go-into-windows-old-hdd-no-restore-point-no-backup.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Recently updated from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional.  Installed Virtual XP.  I don't have any restore points and can't create one.  I Get the message "The specified object was not found.  (0x80024308)".  I tried disabling antivirus, firewall, and malware programs.  Disconnected from the internet.  Tried to create a restore point after clean boot, ckdsk, and while in safe mode.  Same message.  Could there be a 3rd party software blocking my system restore other then what I've already mentioned?  Any suggestions?

A:Can't create a restore point in Windows 7

Two suggestions.  First run SFC.  Click Start and type CMD in the search box, then right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as Administrator.  Then type SFC /scannow.  It will run a couple of minutes.  If that doesn't fix the problem, disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your antivirus.  Then try creating a restore point.  Reenable your antivirus before reconnecting to the Internet.
`
 Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535817/cant-create-a-restore-point-in-windows-7/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello,

I have read the procedures to set a simple restore point in Win 7. Various errors are reported and I cannot proceed.

One is

"The Volume shadow copy of System Restore is not working"
(and gives an event long which I don't know how to find.

On the Properties box the option to Configure Restore Settings is greyed out and inactive.

An action on the Properties box says "Searching" but seems not to complete.

How can I set up to do Restore points in the normal manner familiar in Win XP?

I have not run chkdsk recently but I do that as part of my backup routine using Norton Ghost (an old version.)

Is there a repair routine needed?

A:Set a restore point in Windows 7 gives these errors

Hi,

Sorry, Norton ghost has been discontinued however, you can still restore the image which you backed up earlier using Norton Ghost. Please check this link for more details CAN I Restore Ghost Image to a new Hard Drive???? | Norton Community. Thank you for your time!

Praveen
Norton Support.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/378048-set-restore-point-windows-7-gives-these-errors.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hey, I am having problems with my other computer suddenly closing both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer applications, such as Control Panel, My Computer, etc...(Windows XP Home Edition)
When i click on either one, lets say the my computer icon, a pop up of the my computer folder thing flashes for a split second then disappears, the computer freezes for about a second, shows only the desktop, then a few seconds later the icons start appearing on my desktop and my start taskbar comes back. The screen is back to normal with no lag, but the my computer pop up is no longer there. The same thing happens with internet explorer, but it just happens alot quicker.
Does anyone know what could possibly be the problem of this, and maybe how to fix it? Thank You in advance.

A:Windows Explorer + Internet Explorer Closing Immediately...

Did you do an anti-virus scan on your PC seems like a virus problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-internet-explorer-closing-immediately.296843/
Relevancy 68.37%

I had to do a system restore recently I was limited to restoring to days earlier when all I wanted to do was restore to the day before but unfortunately no restore points had been created System Restore is turned on obviously and I have allowed about gigs of space for restore data and yet I only had a total of restore points and one of them I had created manually My computer is turned on each morning and properly shutdown each evening The question then is how do I get Windows to create MORE restore points AUTOMATICALLY My preference would be one every hours like an old XP computer did such not enough Windows 7 points creating restore as when the computer is first booted up or shortly thereafter I understand W creating restore points when doing updates or Windows 7 not creating enough restore points installs etc but it seems to me it should be creating one each day as well Windows 7 not creating enough restore points I'd hate to think that if I went a few weeks between critical updates that NO restore points would be created

A:Windows 7 not creating enough restore points

You can create a visual basic script to do it then schedule it to run daily with the task scheduler.

For example (google is your friend):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-c1b749c23320

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/149188-windows-7-not-creating-enough-restore-points.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi I have a Maxtor G USB hard drive connected to my explorer closing help the all Please Windows - windows time computer full of video files categorized in folders My OS is WinXP home I have Mb of RAM Recently whenever I open certain folders through the OS on the external HD windows would give me a message saying nothing but that Windows XP had encountered a problem and needs to close the window It then closes the window and returns me to the desktop Sometimes it takes me to the quot restore your active desktop quot screen I tried copying the info that it gives me in the dialog box but Windows explorer windows closing all the time - Please help I can t Windows doesn t do this on any folder on the internal HD It does it mainly Windows explorer windows closing all the time - Please help with or four different folders and Windows explorer windows closing all the time - Please help I can t see any correlation between them that would make it do this So far I ve found a semi-useful workaround by changing the view in all of the folders on that drive to quot details quot view instead of thumbnails view but that only helps about of the time I ve also called Dell tech support but they weren t able to fix the problem Has anyone else had this problem Any attempt to help is appreciated My wife who mainly uses the external HD is getting really frustrated Thanks nbsp

A:Windows explorer windows closing all the time - Please help

^bump^ to see if anyone can help on Tuesday.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-windows-closing-all-the-time-please-help.148502/
Relevancy 67.94%

after having to do a restore to an ealier date om my asus laptop running win7 i lost several programs i had loaded after that date. knowing my ineptitude with win7, i'll probably be doing this again sometime in the future. i found under restore in control panel how to do this but not how to create a new restore point after reloading my missing programs again. i also looked under backup and restore, but it listed only making a system image or creating a repair disk. the last time i made a system image on my acer laptop. i loaded it to the hard drive by mistake and havled my usable drive space. all i want is a restore point, can anyone help please?

A:[SOLVED] how do you create a restore point in windows 7?

Quote:

To create a restore point

Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

In the left pane, click System protection. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

> Create a restore point

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-how-do-you-create-a-restore-point-in-windows-7-a-803809.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi all~!
Everytime I set a restore point.,.,then go back to use it.,., it is gone.,.,not highlited.,.,nor do I have any restore points what so ever.,.,none .,.,., notta.,.,.,.zippo.,.,What to do~??.,.
Thanks~!

Relevancy 67.94%

I just had a problem with my laptop and, though I've managed to recover from it (I think), I was considering doing a System Restore to before it happened. Since we had updates this week I assumed that Windows would have created a Restore Point a couple of days ago, but when I look, the last one is from 10th Jan, which I created before a System Image.

I can see earlier Restore Points associated with Windows Installer, and I had thought that one was automatically created before Windows installed updates. Am I mistaken?

A:Should Windows create a Restore Point before updating?

Mine doesn't , but I do one manually be fore updates.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60190-should-windows-create-restore-point-before-updating.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi,

Long story short, my HD is acting up on a 2 week old laptop, I've heard some clicking noises coming from it. I spoke with the retailer and agreed to swap it for me with a new laptop. I don't have the time to reinstall a fresh Windows 7, do the countless hours of updates, and then install the programs I need.

Is it possible I can make a restore point using Windows 7 of the current laptop, save the restore point on an external hard disk, and then when I get my new laptop, I can use the restore point saved on the external hard disk. Therefore, I don't need to do all the updates, reinstall a fresh Windows OS, and install my previous programs I need.

Is it possible? An answer ASAP would be very much appreciated as I'm trying to get this done today. Thanks so much!

A:Windows 7 Restore Point - Can I use on multiple computers?

Hello Clogged, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Sorry, but no. Restore points are installation specific.

Not to mention a new laptop wouldn't have the same specs as the old one, so a system image wouldn't work as well.

Also, a laptop comes with an OEM copy of Windows 7 installed that cannot be used on any other computer.

Sorry.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/256948-windows-7-restore-point-can-i-use-multiple-computers.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Bear with me here while I explain this it seems like a simple enough problem but I boot? a to restore when back Getting windows won't point m plagued by stupid problems when it comes to computers and it s driving me slowly insane The problem Windows refuses to boot Getting back to a restore point when windows won't boot? even in safe Getting back to a restore point when windows won't boot? mode Symptoms System POSTs fine then hangs when windows kicks in I ve tried all the options when the windows failed to load properly comes up but they all hang When I tried it in safe mode a list of drivers appears to be loading but then it gets to mup sys and it hangs there Recent changes to system Yes and one is undoubtily the culprit as this install of windows has been running flawlessly for over years Today I made two changes to the system and in all my wisdom I made them both at the same time although I m pretty sure I know what screwed it up I flashed the BIOS to the latest revision upgraded the processor to a Athlon socket x from a single core I think AND installed a small external SATA port I think this screwed stuff up The BIOS upgrade went smoothly and took place a few hours and reboots before the processor change in eSATA bracket install so I don t think it s to blame The processor install also went off without a hitch and the computer not only recognized it correctly but the first boot was fine and went to windows During this first boot I got the installing new hardware little picture in the lower right hand part of the taskbar but was never prompted for drivers I m guessing this was something SATA related because currently all my HD s are ATA and nothing else on the computer utilizes SATA could have been the EZwriter though read on I did not install any SATA specific drivers from the mobo manf as I thought windows would take care of this On the next reboot disaster struck Attempted fixes Not much besides trying desperatly to get back into Windows somehow as I made sure to set a restore point RIGHT before I did all my changes so nothing bad could happen LOL The bad thing is im not any good with command line stuff and of the time I have trouble it s from within windows itself so these other problems are new to me I did pull the SATA bracket but the same symptoms persist I have an old Winternals ERD boot disk PE Builder BartPE Ultimate boot CD and my Windows disk All work yet I cant figure out how to remove that last driver or roll back on a restore point with those utilities I did go into the recovery console and FIXBOOT but besides that I m useless I was able to pull up the event log and there appears to be or so errors every reboot Only made any sense something along the lines of EZWINIT failed to start and COM event system failed to start The EZWINT I m sure is from my EZ dev kit flash writer for the GBA Every time I unplug the damm thing it tries to reinstall itself and I unplugged a bunch of firewire and USB stuff to put the processor in Not sure about the COM error --- System specs Athlon x socket ASRock Dual-SATA GeForce GS ATA HD s optical drives external firewire drives gb ram Win XP yes I ve googled I just need some direction in how to get back into windows without a flatten reinstall if at all possible nbsp

A:Getting back to a restore point when windows won't boot?

can you boot to the last known good configuration mode..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/getting-back-to-a-restore-point-when-windows-wont-boot.575909/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi This is my first post on to bleeping computer I think I have a virus problem but it is not being detected Please help History I downloaded a movie it was wmv file which requested a license I downloaded the license and the problem starts Symantec antivirus said it was Backdoor Tidserv inf and was not able to clean up and hanged Actions done Disconnected from net got Malwarebytes current from another computer ran it It gave Trojan FakeAlert Trojan Update, Point, Windows Restore System DNS Changer Trojan Agent I got these cleaned it using Malwarebytes My c and d drives wont open on Windows Update, System Restore Point, double click got this fixed by using Auto run Eater Subsequently I scanned my comp using Backlight Semantec antivirus SuperAntiSpyware Spybot Search and Destroy Spyware Gaurd Windows Update, System Restore Point, - installed it Spyware blaster In safe mode using Malwarebytes Spybot Search and DestroyAll these I have done reading the various other topics of bleeping comp All of the above say there are NO PROBLEMSCurrent Situation I have the following problems My windows update service is running but is set to quot Notify me and dont install quot I cannot do windows update Browser redirection to google com if I go to windows update url Event viewer confirms this it has a failure message Cannot go to sites www malwarebytes org or spybot site Cannot create a System Restore Point Reboot and try again message appears I cannot format the machine due to official reasons I cannot start windows defragmentation Other wise it is not slow and working perfectly other sites open I installed Comodo Firewall dont know if the settings are right though So I am worried on what if something big happens like ID theft somebody hijacking my comp by the backdoors etc Any help would really be appreciated

A:Windows Update, System Restore Point,

Moving from HiJack This forum to Am I Infected as there are no logs. ~ OB

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198968/windows-update-system-restore-point/
Relevancy 67.94%

i attempted to use System Restore in Vista, but it ony shows 1 restore point which was done last night at 10 pm, and I need to go back two days prior to last night.

My system was working correctly two days ago, but don't have that option in vista. In XP you could choose a date, but vista does not have that? Can anyone help?

A:Windows Vista System Restore Point

if it shows only one restore point, then that is all you have. You wll not be able to go back two days.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-vista-system-restore-point-214871.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I think that it is well known that in a dual boot Windows 7 / Windows 8 that the Windows 8 restore point is deleted went booting into Windows 7. I took ownership of Windows 8 C:\System Volume Information and I can copy a restore point but cannot paste. It says that I need administrator rights even though I am logged in as administrator into the administrator account.

A:How to copy and paste Windows 8 restore point?

Hello rdwray,

It would be a waste of time to try and backup or copy your restore points. Doing so will corrupt them, and make them unusable.

You might see if you may be able to use the same method below, but for Windows 7 and Windows 8 instead to stop the restore points from being deleted whenever you boot into either OS.

System Restore Points - Stop XP Dual Boot Delete

Personally, I would recommend to keep updated system images in addition.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/70659-how-copy-paste-windows-8-restore-point.html
Relevancy 67.94%

It is part of a larger problem though. Because I store my system images on an other drive then the drive windows is installed on it cannot find them and as such the restore point doesn't work.

Though in the screenshot I want those entries to be removed as the backup for that has been removed.

I got an other entry which is the last system backup I made but how to fix it knowing where to search for the backup?

Also with my restore disk it cannot find it.

A:How can you tell Windows a restore point no longer exists?

Use CCleaner to find all your restore points.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/336884-how-can-you-tell-windows-restore-point-no-longer-exists.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi there I wonder if some good person can help me with this problem and XP Firewall Point problems Windows Restore I m running Win XP Pro with SP I have a Master boot disk and a slave drive which is a Ghost image of the master I m having two problems with win xp on the master drive the first one is with the Firewall When I click on the icon of the Firewall it gives me the following message quot Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running Do you want to start the windows Firewall Internet connection sharing ICS service quot When I say yes I get the message quot Windows cannot Windows XP Firewall and Restore Point problems start the Windows Firewall Internet connection Sharing ICS service quot When I click on System Restore it comes up with the message quot System Restore Application Windows XP Firewall and Restore Point problems has encountered a problem and needs to close quot There is a fix on the Microsoft web site for the st problem which I tried It worked briefly then after another reboot the same thing again I thought now that s where my Ghost image comes handy I went and booted from the slave drive and checked that everything is fine with my ghost image which it was I then ghosted the slave to the master drive turned the PC off booted from the newly imaged master drive and I still get the same error I tried again this time deleting the partition on the master drive before ghosting it and same error My main question is why isn t my ghost image working on the master drive and is the a fix for problem and without reinstalling everything Your help with this would be greatly appreciated Regards helmut nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-firewall-and-restore-point-problems.393909/
Relevancy 67.94%

I just got done making a clean install on Windows Ultimate -bit on a SSD drive Then I noticed that whenever I was doing a Point Cannot System Restore 7 Windows create System Update it would try to create a restore point Windows 7 Cannot create System Restore Point for many minutes and then give up and proceed with the update Well the bottom line is I can't create a system restore point I've basically tried everything that I could find on the subject Made sure that Task Scheduler and Volume Shadow Copy services were on Auto and turned on Turned System Restore off in the System Windows 7 Cannot create System Restore Point Protection tab rebooted and then re-enabled it on the C Ran sfc scannow which gave the system a clean bill of health Tried using Macrium to make an image which did nothing I don't know what else to do Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated Thank you BTW the error message that I get after a failed attempt to create a Restore Point is The creation of shadow copy has timed out Try this operation again x

A:Windows 7 Cannot create System Restore Point

You haven't filled in the rest of your system specs.
System Info - See Your System Specs

This happened to me whenever I had the ASRock XFast USB utility installed. Try uninstalling that.

Another example of these "booster" programs is ASUS' "USB 3.0 Boost"

But if you don't have those kinds of board, but have any kind of "USB turbo-boosters" installed, you still should remove it. They don't get along well with the Volume Shadow Copy service.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/328270-windows-7-cannot-create-system-restore-point.html
Relevancy 67.94%

So I tried posting my question on Microsoft Answers to no avail I kept getting an error message when clicking the submit button don t know why though as they provided me with no details as to what could be causing the error But my question is as my topic title states In Order of most recent restore points This is the list that I encountered after selecting Choose different restore point in the Restore system files and settings window Date and Time Description Type AM Installed COMODO Internet Security Install AM avast Free Antivirus setup Install AM Windows Update Critical Update AM Windows Update Critical Update PM Windows Update Critical Update PM Windows Update Critical Update Note There are earlier restore points but the ones I listed above are the only points in which I hampered with the system myself oops Now it s not this list that s dumbfounding me however it s the list in the window that comes up for each restore point after pressing the Scan for affected programs button that is making me nervous as I don t want to drastically change the settings much I ll list all the affected programs for each restore point below please bear with me For the first restore point I have listed the Installed COMODO Internet Security point the affected programs include Programs and drivers that will be deleted list Description Type COMODO GeekBuddy Program COMODO point restore Windows to which use on system 7 Unsure Internet Security Program Google Chrome Program Recuva Program COMODO NetService Driver Programs and drivers that might be restored Description Type COMODO GeekBuddy Program Google Chrome Program Note For me the Installed COMODO Internet Security restore point is inadequate because there s more programs that I want uninstalled that were installed prior to the COMODO program Unsure which system restore point to use on Windows 7 I included it just in case the other options that follow might freatly affect my system settings The next Restore Point avast Free Antivirus Setup that I listed above had the following affected programs etc listed Programs and drivers that will be deleted Unsure which system restore point to use on Windows 7 Description Type avast Free Antivirus Program COMODO GeekBuddy Program COMODO Internet Security Program Google Chrome Program Microsoft Visual C Redistributable x Program Microsoft Visual C Redistributable x Program Recuva Program Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus Program COMODO NetService Driver Programs and drivers that might be restored Description Type Google Chrome Program Note for me this restore point avast Free Antivirus Setup is also inadequate but included just in case I can t use the earlier restore points for whatever reason is up to the responders more knowledgable analysis of what I should do Third restore point form the top AM Windows Update had the following affected programs Programs and drivers that will be deleted Description Type Avast Free Antivirus Program COMODO GeekBuddy Program COMODO Internet Security Program Conexant HD Audio Program Google Apps Program Google Chrome Program Google Earth Program Google Talk remove only Program Google Toolbar for Firefox Program Google Updater Program HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP Program Immunet Protect Program Microsoft Visual C Redistributable x Program Microsoft Visual C Redistributable x Program Mozilla Firefox en-US Program nCleaner second Program Picasa Program RealPlayer Program Recuva Program Skype TM Program Spybot Search amp Destroy Program Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus Program SUPERAntiSpyware Program Trend Micro RUBotted Beta Program COMODO NetService Driver Conexant MEDIA Driver CXT Modem Driver Marvell Net Driver Microsoft-Windows-Security-WindowsActivatonTechnologies-Package bf ad e amd Windows Update Update for Package for KB KB Windows Update Update for Package for KB KB Windows Update Programs and drivers that might be restored Description Type Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer Program Note The AM Windows Update... Read more

A:Unsure which system restore point to use on Windows 7

I have to admit, just reading this lengthy post gave me a head ache.

Let's try to simplify this a little.

What has prompted you to need to do a System Restore?

If I've read this correctly, you want a restore point that will remove programs that you wish to delete, but you don't have restore points which will accommodate all of your needs. I can only suggest that you choose the one which will leave the programs that you want, and delete the remainder in the Control Panel.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/389217/unsure-which-system-restore-point-to-use-on-windows-7/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello everyone sorry to just beg for help on my first post but I keep getting a pop-up saying that Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close It then reopens but then closing Windows Explorer keeps I get the same message again although it hasn't done it for a minute or too I ran HijackThis but I'm useless with anything technical so I'm hoping some very Windows Explorer keeps closing kind person can work out what on earth I've done to my computer This was the logfile Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System Windows Explorer keeps closing smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgemc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe C WINDOWS system IFXSPMGT exe C WINDOWS system IFXTCS exe C Program Files ProtectTools Embedded Security Software PSDsrvc EXE C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe C Program Files HPQ IAM bin asghost exe C Program Files ProtectTools Embedded Security Software PSDrt exe C PROGRA MOZILL FIREFOX EXE C WINDOWS system AccelerometerSt exe C Program Files hpq HP Wireless Assistant HP Wireless Assistant exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons QlbCtrl exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX Smax exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP ProtectTools Security Manager PTHOSTTR EXE C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C Program Files Nokia Nokia Software Launcher NSLauncher exe C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files Analog Devices Core smax pnp exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS service exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Ares Ares exe C Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite PcSync exe C Program Files Veoh Networks Veoh VeohClient exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C PROGRA COMMON Nokia MPAPI MPAPI s exe C Program Files Common Files PCSuite Services ServiceLayer exe C PROGRA WIDCOMM BLUETO BTSTAC EXE C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C PROGRA HPQ Shared HPQTOA EXE C Program Files Common Files PCSuite Services NclBTHandler exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgw exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO BitComet ClickCapture - F E - A- B A-BCAF- B BFDFEA - C Program Files BitComet tools BitCometBHO dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A ... Read more

A:Windows Explorer keeps closing

Hi ecmcd, welcome to TSF..

I've had a look at your log and you have some serious issues which need dealing with...however, this section of the forum is not the correct place to seek help.

Please read through this thread as it details the '5 Step Process' which we would like you to take so that we can be in a better position to assist you. Follow the instructions as best you can. If you have any problems with any of the steps, note down some details on the problem and go to the next step. On completion, you should have some log files which we would like you to attach to a new thread and post here, be sure to add as much information as possible regarding the problems you're having and any issues you may encounter when following the '5 Step Process'

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-keeps-closing-261404.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello I hope someone can help me with this as I just cannot seem to find an answer .Whenever I access windows explorer it shuts down after a few seconds I get "exception integer division by zero. (OxC0000994) occurred in the application at location 0x0bd0dbdd . the last set of digits changes as I also had (0x0597dbdd) .I am running windows XP with service pack 2
Well that's it any ideas would be greatly appreciated .
Thank you ,
Eric

A:Windows explorer keeps closing

Is your PC fully patched using windows update?

If you have and codec packages installed, uninstall them as a test. See if the problem stops.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread63720.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-keeps-closing.809034/
Relevancy 67.51%

When I try to open a media file (video-audio) it comes up with the message, windows explorer must close then gives me an option to send an error report i have ran, adaware se, spybot, bugdoctor and mcafee.

A:Windows Explorer Keeps Closing

When I try to open a media file (video-audio) it comes up with the message, windows explorer must close then gives me an option to send an error report i have ran, adaware se, spybot, bugdoctor and mcafee. What operating system are you using?If it is XP or XP Pro, go to system restore and pick a restore date from before you began experiencing this problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/21628/windows-explorer-keeps-closing/
Relevancy 67.51%

Can someone help please We have a problem with keeps explorer Windows closing one user profile on this PC which belongs to a friend If hidden files are marked as being shown and he opens My Music and selects a music track either the explorer window closes completely or freezes If however we mark the hidden files option as Windows explorer keeps closing not to show the problem does not occur and the music file will play fine Other user profiles on this PC do not show the same characteristics I don t know if this is in the correct forum I suspect not but I have also attached Windows explorer keeps closing a HJT and Start log for someone to look at to see if we need to do anything there Thanx in advance Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS Windows explorer keeps closing system spoolsv exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe C Program Files Belkin Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C PROGRA Dantz RETROS retrorun exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system CTHELPER EXE C Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C WINDOWS system carpserv exe C PROGRA Maxtor OneTouch Utils OneTouch exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Common Files PCSuite DataLayer DataLayer exe C Program Files Nokia Nokia PC Suite LaunchApplication exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C program files BigFix BigFix exe C program files Belkin Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C program files Logitech SetPoint KEM exe C program files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared wkcalrem exe C program files WinTV Ir exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Logitech SetPoint KHALMNPR EXE C PROGRA COMMON PCSuite Services SERVIC EXE C program files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C program files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Internet Download HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www stockbrokers co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www tesco net R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page bak http www stockbrokers co uk R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title PlusNet Internet Explorer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhost O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO MSN Search Toolbar Helper - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files MSN Toolbar Suite TB en-gb msntb dll O - BHO no name - FDD B - D - ffb- - B AD ACC - C Program Files Microsoft Money System mnyviewer dll O - Toolbar MSN Search Toolbar - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files MSN Toolbar Suite TB en-gb msntb dll O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS System NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run WINDVDPatch CTHELPER EXE O - HKLM Run Jet Detection quot C Program Files Creative SBAudigy PROGRAM ADGJDet exe quot O - HKLM Run CTStartup C Program Files Creative Splash Screen CTEaxSpl EXE run O - HKLM Run WorksFUD C Program Files Microsoft Works wkfud exe O - HKLM Run MoneyStartUp quot C Program Files Microsoft Money System Activation exe quot O - HKLM Run AdaptecDirectCD C Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe O - HKLM Run CARPService carpserv exe O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINDOWS system NeroC... Read more

A:Windows explorer keeps closing

Anyone any ideas on this please?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-keeps-closing.453703/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi.

My problem is that when I leave my computer on and go away for a while that it goes to the welcome screen (not the problem). After I log back on windows explorer usually closes down. So the taskbar and all my icons are gone. It also happens during games sometimes.

Can someone help?

Also, My firefox keeps clearing my bookmarks and personal settings.Is there a way to fix that?

Thanks,
Kaku

A:Windows Explorer Keeps Closing

For your Firefox problem, try the following.
Start> Mozilla Firefox> Mozilla Firefox(Safe Mode). This starts Firefox without
any extensions and the default theme. If this solves the problem, then it is an
extension or theme effecting Firefox. If that doesn't help, create a new profile.
Your profile may have become corrupt.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-keeps-closing.515972/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi everyone A few days ago I encountered an odd problem Whenever I tried to right-click on an avi Explorer keeps Windows closing file in My Videos in Windows Explorer I would get one of the following problems All the open Windows Explorer windows Windows Explorer keeps closing would just close the taskbar would disappear and then after a few seconds the taskbar would re-appear Although I m not very tech-savvy I think this is what happens when you terminate explorer exe and it sort of automatically restarts itself I d get an error message saying quot Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close We are sorry for the inconvenience quot and similar to above all the Windows Explorer windows close the taskbar disappears and then re-appears as if nothing happened At the time I didn t think of taking a screenshot of this one but after right-clicking on an avi file and trying to open it in VLC player my default is Windows Media Player so I right-clicked - gt Open With - gt VLC Media Player the Windows Explorer window froze VLC froze while loading the file the taskbar froze but I was able to access other windows such as Windows Media Player and MS Word through alt tab After - minutes a message appeared about Data Execution Prevention and that explorer exe had been shut down in order to prevent data loss Some additional information - I have done virus and malware scans using Norton Malware Bytes and SuperAntiSpyware - my computer is clean - I m using SP I m reluctant to upgrade to SP because I was told that SP may conflict with Symantec products and wreck havoc - I recently upgraded DivX and downloaded the DivX Plus Codec Pack - For some reason I m unable to do System Restores - whenever it re-boots after attempting to restore it says that the restore has failed and that no changes have been made Any idea what the problem could be or steps I can take to better isolate diagnose the problem

A:Windows Explorer keeps closing

Make sure Norton is updated, and then run the SP3 Updater. I have never heard that Norton caused issues with SP3 upgrades. Can you point to a source that stated as such?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/310608/windows-explorer-keeps-closing/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi
I have recently had a lot of pc problems with processes using 100% cpu and runtime errors. I took my pc to my local repair shop and it ended up that they completely wiped my pc and reinstalled windows xp home.
I use the mozy online backup service so thankfully most of my files are safe and I have restored them.

Everytime I try to go into "my pictures" where I store all my photographs, I get the error message "To help protect your computer, windows have closed this program. Name: Windows explorer"

Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening?

Thanks

Ian

A:Windows explorer closing down.

I hope this helps you .... http://www.helpwithwindows.com/techfiles/explorer-crashes.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-closing-down.885692/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello - Last Tuesday I got a quot Windows Security quot virus and I thought I removed it by using the steps from bleepingcomputer com The real issue began on Monday when I received a quot Generic Host Win quot error I am not sure if the two are related After this my computer starting behaving very strangely I sometimes have trouble opening new internet explorer windows and when I finally do get one open it can sometimes Windows Explorer not is closing refuse to Windows Explorer is not closing close Yesterday I received a blue screen error and the message that quot your computer has recovered from a serious error quot The only changes I made to my computer after eliminating the virus was downloading the update for AVG Free Antivirus program Since I have tried to restore my computer to an earlier time and I have run scans with quot Malware Bytes quot a number of times The first time the program found about issues that I promptly cleaned off my system Since I have run the program a few times but no issues were returned Is there something I need to do to Malware Bytes to detect whatever is messing with my computer I thought restoring and running the scans fixed the error but later that day I received another Win error The strange thing is my computer seems to behaving normally today I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice as to what to do next here Thank you in advance for your assistance Mike

A:Windows Explorer is not closing

I mentioned that the error has not popped up today; but I just got another one!
Screen shots of the error are attached.
Again, thanks for your help.

Mike

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/364619/windows-explorer-is-not-closing/
Relevancy 67.51%

hi my windows explorer since like days ago keeps Keeps Explorer Closing Windows Down shutting down and there's this error message like error runtime not responding Dr something postmortem debugger encounters problem in debugging Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS Windows Explorer Keeps Closing Down System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Ink KeyboardSurrogate exeC Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exeC Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC PROGRA COMMON AOL ACS AOLacsd exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exeC Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware guard exeC Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSvcs exeC WINDOWS system DVDRAMSV exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC Program Files Eset nod krn exeC Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exeC Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exeC WINDOWS system svchost exec TOSHIBA IVP swupdate swupdtmr exeC WINDOWS system ThpSrv exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TME Tmesbs exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TME Tmesrv exeC Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ZcfgSvc exeC WINDOWS SYSTEM WISPTIS EXEC WINDOWS System tabbtnu exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin XConfig exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Ink TCServer exeC WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exeC WINDOWS system igfxtray exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Ink TabTip exeC WINDOWS system hkcmd exeC Program Files Analog Devices Windows Explorer Keeps Closing Down SoundMAX SMax PNP exeC WINDOWS system THotkey exeC Program Files Toshiba CrossMenu CrossMenu exeC Program Files Apoint K Apoint exeC Program Files ltmoh Ltmoh exeC WINDOWS AGRSMMSG exeC WINDOWS system TPSMain exeC WINDOWS system TPSODDCtl exeC Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree NDSTray exeC Program Files TOSHIBA Acceleration Utilities TAcelMgr TAcelMgr exeC Program Files TOSHIBA Acceleration Utilities Shaker TSkrMain exeC WINDOWS system thpsrv exeC WINDOWS system TFNF exeC Program Files Apoint K Apntex exeC WINDOWS system TPSBattM exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Rotation Utility TRot exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Zooming Utility SmoothView exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TouchED TouchED ExeC Program Files TOSHIBA TOSHIBA Controls TFncKy exeC Program Files Toshiba Tvs TvsTray exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TAudEffect TAudEff exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TME TMETEMNU EXEC Program Files TOSHIBA TME TMERzCtl EXEC Program Files TOSHIBA TME TMESBS EXEC TOSHIBA IVP ISM pinger exeC Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exeC Program Files TOSHIBA ConfigFree CFSServ exeC WINDOWS vsnpstd exeC Windows Explorer Keeps Closing Down Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files Eset nod kui exeC Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware avgas exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Windows Live Family Safety fssui exeC Program Files TOSHIBA TOSCDSPD toscdspd exeC Program Files Windows Live Messenger MsnMsgr ExeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exeC Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC PROGRA Yahoo MESSEN ymsgr tray exeC Program Files Skype Phone Skype exeC Program Files Intuwave Shared mRouterRuntime mRouterConfig exeC Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files Adobe Adobe Acrobat Distillr acrotray exeC Program Files Intuwave Shared mRouterRuntime mRouterRuntime exeC Program Files Kodak Kodak EasyShare software bin EasyShare exeC WINDOWS system RAMASST exeC Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXEC Program Files V-Gear BEE VBService ex... Read more

A:Windows Explorer Keeps Closing Down

i don't know whether this help, but this comes from the event viewer,,,

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.3156, faulting module shell32.dll, version 6.0.2900.3241, fault address 0x001e4e81.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/119806/windows-explorer-keeps-closing-down/
Relevancy 67.51%

I did a reset a week or so ago. Wanted to reset today and the only dates that came up were from 2010 and 2011.....Just the 2 dates....So of course I did not reset it....

What's up:confused with that?????

A:Windows 7 System Restore Point options are from 4 years ago.....

Do you recall when the last time a restore point was made was?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/328443-windows-7-system-restore-point-options-4-years-ago.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Windows help infers that restore point is automatically created before I install a new program. Is this true?

A:Does Windows make a restore point before a program is installed?

Simple answer, yes it does.
I find it best to make one of my own, when I remember, as I have found in some cases a point is not made. Although it is rare that a point is not made

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/122840-does-windows-make-restore-point-before-program-installed.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I insall BAIDU pc faster while uninstall using revo install restore point  unable  to create and the unable to shutdown
i restart ( restart normally mode ) then ok 
but in reg :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
and then 4 windows update install again and again

but now i create restore point easily 
how to fix ?   

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511985/windows-update-again-and-again-restore-point-error-while-create/
Relevancy 67.51%

Is Windows Update process faulty I am used to Windows OS in which the Windows Update WU process creates a restore point RP before installing updates I have recently installed Windows bit Windows creation triggering point update not restore is OS on my computer and find that the WU process downloads and then installs updates without creating a RP I checked my available RPs and find no RPs created by WU I thought RPs were triggered by WU I have Automatic System Restore Point Creation enabled and my System Windows update is not triggering restore point creation Restore Max Usage settings were set at GB with only GB used so there was GB free space available I have increased this to GB as a precaution although I do not think this was the problem I can t find any setting where I can force W WU to create a RP before Windows update is not triggering restore point creation installing updates It seems that one must create a restore point manually before doing WUs Am I missing something or is this normal behaviour for W If so then the W WU process has a serious weakness in it Thanks in advance Ken

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/76261-windows-update-not-triggering-restore-point-creation.html
Relevancy 67.51%

My laptop started to slow down when acessing the internet and i was worried that some things that i had downloaded were the problem (i downloaded Avant?? internet security)

Anywayz i thought a system restore would help bring back my laptops speed.. I went ahead and restored and now all i get after the process of logging on is a blank screen... i have control of the mouse.. but other than that theres nothing else on the screen T__T Please help me! It only 4 months old and im scared ive ruined it!

Relevancy 67.51%

I am a novice geek . I would like to be able to put in a task schedule with automatically creates a system restore point daily at a preset time. Tried going through Task Scheduler; but did not work! Would appreciate detailed instruction with screen shots from anyone. Thanks very much.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-create-automatic-system-restore-point-in-windows-10.1166177/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello everyone I just came upon a very strange problem with my 7 trying to message point gives Windows restore error when create computer today I started it as usual ran a TuneUp Utilities check as I usually do and in the meantime was prompted by my iTunes installer to install a new version of iTunes I clicked OK on the install thing then all of a sudden I get this message from the HP Support Assistant Windows System Restore is not activated So I go to the System Protection folder to try to manually enable it but I get an error message that says an unexpected error occurred System restore has found an error try to run System restore again I do this a thousand times and the same message pops up So I run my Norton antivirus and SpyBot Search and Destroy The Norton search comes up empty but the SpyBot returns this Babylon Toolbar and Win Windows 7 gives error message when trying to create restore point Downloader bltu So I Windows 7 gives error message when trying to create restore point click to fix the problems and an error message pops up in SpyBot saying I'm not running it as admin so the problems can't be fixed Well my user account is an admin account Windows 7 gives error message when trying to create restore point the only one I have in this computer so there's obviously something very wrong here for it seems like whatever this is it's keeping me from executing whatever task may remove it I also execute sfc scannow from a command prompt and the returning message is that I cannot run sfc scannow because I'm not an administrator So I'm lost And I have no idea what to do to get it fixed Could anyone please help Thanks a lot

A:Windows 7 gives error message when trying to create restore point

Ok, nevermind. I obsessively looked for answers and came across this:
If you're having the same problem as me (not being able to create restore points and receving the 0x81000203 error message), try the following:

type regedit in your windows startup search bar.
then, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\swprv\Parameters
Verify if the ServiceDll value is: %Systemroot%\System32\swprv.dll

Then go back to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\swprv
Verify if the Start value is 2. If not, change it.
Restart your computer.
Then, when you try to create a backup or restore point, it will work.

Now, what does that have to do with the iTunes update download, the win32.downloader and babylon toolbar, I do not know.

Hope this helps someone else running into the same situation.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/255968-windows-7-gives-error-message-when-trying-create-restore-point.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Since many people may find that they experience such a severe error they must format but get that sudden quot Oh crap I forgot where I put it quot or quot I never made Restore/Repair Instructions Creating for Windows Disk a one of those quot or even the quot I just have the computer repair guy quot even though that's such a Instructions for Creating a Windows Restore/Repair Disk waste of money So for all you guy's here who are blanking on this here are some instructions NOTE It is recommended you do not do this if you have a BSOD relating to a Windows driver drivers for things like Nvidia Java or general Hardware Device Drivers are not backed up on a Repair Disk and really do not matter Instructions for Creating a Windows Restore/Repair Disk BEFORE WE BEGIN Make sure you meet the following conditions All Drivers for Windows work properly Be sure if you have a Virus it has not corrupted Windows drivers You have means of re-installing drivers for Mice Keyboards etc Be sure you have a DVD of the appropriate size All data you need want is backed up before using this disk So let us begin this is a general tutorial based around Windows Vista Consumer Preview All information is backed up as seen on Microsoft Cited below Click on the Start button Because this is the hardest step Search for or open quot Control Panel quot Find the tab relating to quot System and Maintenance quot Now click on quot Backup And Restore quot End of Stage One Insert a blank DVD into the DVD CD port on your Windows PC Click on quot Create a Restore Disk quot User Access Control will prompt you click yes and insert Administrative password if you are not under Administrator already Let the disk work its magic do not open the drive it will open on its own when it is complete Well most do End of Stage Two Close your Disk Drive with the disk in the drive Either shut down with Windows or press the button It's a lot quicker The disk may boot on it's own if so skip to step This means your PC did not boot the disk so go into the BIOS Select for Boot Options It's usually F then select CD DVD Drive Now just follow the on-screen prompts for settings like Disk Partitioning and allocating Disk Space End of Stage Three That's pretty much it like I stated I background checked this with Microsoft here Create a system repair disc for those who did not fully understand there is a video walkthrough there as well

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/instructions-for-creating-a-windows-restore-repair-disk-641016.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Has anyone encountered a situation where an MPEG file will abruptly close a Windows Explorer window. The file will do this both over my network or while trying to access it from a CD on one of my computers. The PC that has the file on it has no problem with keeping it up on a Windows Explorer Window, or running it with a media program. Both computers are running the same version of Windows XP Professional. As soon as the folder is accessed over the network, Windows Explorer closes on the computer. The same situation occurs when the MPEG file is accessed by CD. The file has been scanned for viruses with multiple checkers, and seems fine. The MPEG file also plays fine in a portable DVD player. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

A:Windows Explorer abruptly closing

Welcome to TSG....

The MPEG file if it has a corruption in it it might play ok in a player but it might crash in a Windows environment. Have you tried this file on another computer that is either on the network and also off the network?

Can you open the MPEG file with an editor program to check to see if it is a good file? Try copying it from the CD-R or DVD to the hard drive to a special directory you have set up. If it does not copy then the file is no good.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-abruptly-closing.515789/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi This one Closing Auto Windows Explorer will make ya brain fry My problem is this and it can happen at anytime I click to launch any program and it pops up and then autyomaticlly shuts its the same for anything lets say i have dreamweaver open and IE windows if the problemhits me I wont be able to open any other window what Explorer Windows Auto Closing so ever Explorer Windows Auto Closing the only way to get a new program or window open is to shut one of the window or programs that i already have open I have already friend up in the desktop memory dump but this didnt help This is a brand new laptop from dell with gigs ram I have run a hijackthis for you to see Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Windows sttray exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM RoxWatchTray exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files Spark Spark exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared SharedCOM CPSHelpRunner exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe c Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BtStackServer exe C Program Files Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www gravytrain-ltd com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Internet Explorer provided by Dell R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - E A - - D F-BEAE-D A C - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared coShared Browser NppBho dll O - BHO Skype add-on mastermind - BF B-C D - d - A -A F BA C - C Program Files Skype Toolbars Internet Explorer SkypeIEPlugin dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLL O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - c Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Browser Address Error Redirector - CA C - B - E-A -A C DB F - C Program Files BAE BAE dll O - Toolbar Show Norton Toolbar - -F - -B -FBEE C B DF - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared coShared Browser UIBHO dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run Windows De... Read more

A:Explorer Windows Auto Closing

It's a bit tedious as a troubleshooting method, but often the only effective way to sort such things out.

Try "clean booting":

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/explorer-windows-auto-closing.586706/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hey guys. I have this really big problem that has been bugging me for about a year. I'm sure I have no viruses, spyware , adware and I even checked no malware. I'm having the same problem as this person http://forums.techguy.org/malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/722359-solved-explorer-exe-crashes-everytime.html I've followed some of the things stated in that topic but I still can't manage to fix the crashing when opening my computer, recycle bin. And other things :S Please Help me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/explorer-exe-crashes-when-closing-windows.770355/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have scanned amp saved hundreds of family photos and am trying to reorder them so I don t have duplicates etc etc Windows Explorer closing random When doing this I get the quot Windows Explorer has enountered a problem amp has to close quot I click quot ok quot and it closes and then comes back with the normal home screen all icons present amp correct If I try to do the same file reordering it does it again so I can t finish what I started I understand that the most likely cause is a shell extension somewhere causing this to happen I have the shellxview programme which comes Windows Explorer random closing up with over shell extensions It was also suggested to disable some of them amp see if that solves the problem Can I disable ALL of Windows Explorer random closing them amp enable them one by one or will that just stop my computer working Which ones are more likely to cause this problem I also get Explorer closing when I go into a folder with avi s in it Is this related do you think Any help amp idiots guide will help greatly thanks Ian nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-random-closing.1026254/
Relevancy 66.65%

(05/19/15)
     why do i keep seeing same error box telling me that Internet Explorer is shutting down & how can problem be fixed?><>?<><?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576717/windows-81-64-internet-explorer-keeps-closing/
Relevancy 66.65%

Based on the following log can anybody help Ive run spybot AVG Explorer Keeps Closing And Windows Help! Restarting! Anti-virus AVG Anti Spyware and cleaned all the things that came up I checked event viewer and this is what i comes up with Event Type InformationEvent Source WinlogonEvent Category NoneEvent ID Date Time User Windows Explorer Keeps Closing And Restarting! Help! N AComputer TAVAROESN Description The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer exe was restarted For more information see Help and Support Center at http go microsoft com fwlink events asp HERE IS MY HIJACK THIS LOG Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Windows Explorer Keeps Closing And Restarting! Help! Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware guard exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgemc exeC Program Files Kontiki KService exeC Program Files NavNT rtvscan exeC Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exeC Program Files O bin sprtsvc exeC Program Files Common Files Lenovo tvt reg monitor svc exeC Program Files Common Files Lenovo Scheduler tvtsched exeC PROGRA Xpoint xpadmin xpadmin exeC PROGRA Xpoint agent Xpagent exeC PROGRA Xpoint EEClient xpclient exec program files lenovo system update suservice exeC WINDOWS system cmd exeC PROGRA Xpoint SAS jre bin javaw exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Grisoft AVG avgcc exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files WinRAR WinRAR exeC WINDOWS system mmc exeC WINDOWS system taskmgr exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL www npanet co ukR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www npanet co uk O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS System igfxtray exeO - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS System hkcmd exeO - HKLM Run Smapp C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMTray exeO - HKLM Run Rapid Restore C Program Files Xpoint PE Skin rrpcsb exeO - HKLM Run vptray C Program Files NavNT vptray exeO - HKLM Run PRONoMgr exe C Program Files Intel NCS PROSet PRONoMgr exeO - HKLM Run O quot C Program Files O bin sprtcmd exe quot P O O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe STARTUPO - HKLM Run AVG Anti-Spyware quot C Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware avgas exe quot minimizedO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run ISUSPM Startup C PROGRA COMMON INSTAL UPDATE ISUSPM exe -startupO - HKLM Run ISUSScheduler quot C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe quot -startO - HKLM Run Persistence C WINDOWS System igfxpers exeO - HKLM Run dla C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exeO - HKLM Run PRD C Program Files Pointstone System Cleaner SystemCleaner exe AfterRebootO - HKLM RunOnce SpybotDeletingC cmd c del quot C Program Files RegistryFix logs - - - - txt quot O - HKLM RunOnce SpybotDeletingA command c del quot C Program Files RegistryFix RegistryFixBackup zip quot O - HKLM RunOnce SpybotDeletingC cmd c del quot C Program Files RegistryFix RegistryFixBackup zip quot O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exeO - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exeO - HKUS S- - - Run AVG Run C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgw exe RUNONCE User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run AVG Run C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgw exe RUNONCE User 'NETWORK SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run CTFMON EXE C WINDOWS System CTFMON EXE User 'SYST... Read more

A:Windows Explorer Keeps Closing And Restarting! Help!

Hi,

The forums are really busy, that explains why logs get behind. If you still need some help, please start with posting a new hijackthislog in this thread. Don't start with a new thread.
Then I'll take a look.

Regards,

Rosty.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136481/windows-explorer-keeps-closing-and-restarting-help/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a problem with Windows Explorer Every time I try to use Start Search as soon as i have tyed in one or two letters a window Closing Windows and Restarting Explorer pops us saying that explorer must close I have an option to search for a solution online which I do and then explorer closes and restarts The same thing happens when I try and access Administrative Tools from the Control Panel I have scoured the Microsoft website for help but found nothing Other than this the laptop is clean - no viruses etc I have tried to install Service Pack but it fails to install repeatedly NOt sure if the problems are connected Can anyone help please The laptop is a Gateway and has not had another problems at Windows Explorer Closing and Restarting all This is the what the error produces as detail Problem signature Problem Event Name APPCRASH Application Name explorer exe Application Version Application Timestamp deda Fault Module Name kernel dll Fault Module Version Fault Module Timestamp bd Exception Code c Exception Offset d da OS Version Locale ID Additional Information d aa Additional Information d c e bb aac af Additional Information d aa Additional Information d c e bb aac af

A:Windows Explorer Closing and Restarting

Hi -

The appcrash you listed had a 0xc0000005 exception - a memory access violation. The problem here is more than likely old and new drivers clashing - then you crash.

Your Windows Explorer executable file has a timestamp of 4907deda = Tue Oct 28 23:56:10 2008 and the MS kernel driver t/s is 4549bd80 = Thu Nov 02 05:42:24 2006.

The problem here is that your system is not updated with Vista SP1.

The installation of SP1 must be the top priority. Have you ever tried to install it? Has it shown in Windows Updates?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-explorer-closing-and-restarting-341576.html