Windows Support Forum

User Desktop Change

Q: User Desktop Change

Ok, I am having a small problem.

Whenever I want to change my Desktop, I can change it and all just fine. But then, for all the other users the Desktop changes to the one I switched for ALL the users on the computer.

How can I get a different Desktop for each user?

Thank you!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: User Desktop Change

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 62.35%

Hi I'm newto this forum I recently handed my laptop to the company computer gimp because he had to set me up on the company domain He has done this but I cannot change my desktop or add a new user in the control panel I am wondering what else has been done It also requires admin privileges for new installs but mine is an admin account On the local profile add Why can't Pro Win7 change desktop x64? I new or user a my in I can change my desktop but I can't add a new user the option has been removed from control panel user accounts On the network profile I cannot do anything yet I am admin Is there a way to remove these restriction certainly on the local profile Is there a way to see the most recent changes to the system and undo these Does it have anything to Why can't I change my desktop or add a new user in Win7 Pro x64? do with the isa firewall and its config I think not because nothing changes when I disbale it Any thoughts on how to regain FULL control of my Lenovo laptop with WIN x Thanks

A:Why can't I change my desktop or add a new user in Win7 Pro x64?

Minim, Welcome to the windows 7 forum.

Your system administrator has joined your computer to their domain where the features are disabled for regular users. You might think your an admin but something tells me that it is not a true admin.

Have you talked to the system admin about your problem?
They might have a really good reason to not allow you to add users as when your on a domain, the Active Directory has control of users and priv's.

The only way to regain full control of your laptop is to wipe and start over but then your going to get into trouble with your administration.

Best to talk to the admins.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289567-why-cant-i-change-my-desktop-add-new-user-win7-pro-x64.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have a weird problem I have several users on can't user properties desktop change my machine A couple of weeks ago as a user I was formatting my second HDD while can't change user desktop properties in Windows Windows XP SP One of the IDE cables died causing the machine to restart and not recognize the HDD S I replaced the cable and everything appeared normal Recently I discovered that when using that user Windows will not accept changes for properties other than desktop background such as screen saver settings power settings turn of monitor after a period can't change user desktop properties of time I can make the changes but as soon as I exit and go back to look at them they are still at default It is just this user All other users are OK Any suggestions System info System Model Windows XP Professional Service Pack build Install Language English United States System Locale English United States MSI MS- Processor a Main Circuit Board b gigahertz AMD Athlon kilobyte primary memory cache kilobyte secondary memory cache -bit ready Not hyper-threaded Board MSI MS- Bus Clock megahertz BIOS American Megatrends Inc Version T

A:can't change user desktop properties

Try this : READ instructions at top of the page.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Line 30. Windows XP Doesn't Save User Settings

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-change-user-desktop-properties-538307.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello I am new here and need a little help I have Vista Ultimate x and when I click start then click on my user name all personal files come up however quot Desktop quot has a standard icon instead of the Vista default icon I right click on it hit properties but there is no customize tab so I Name>\Desktop icon C:\<User for change Can not tried to edit the desktop ini file it is currently ShellClassInfo LocalizedResourceName SystemRoot system shell dll - IconResource SystemRoot system imageres dll - Nothing Can not change icon for C:\<User Name>\Desktop still the standard folder icon so I think for some reason it is flagged as a system file when it should be flagged as non-system file I also tried right clicking the desktop - gt personalize hit change desktop icon highlight my user name click restore defaults hit Can not change icon for C:\<User Name>\Desktop apply then then ok and nothing I did reboot my PC after making all of the above changes If I could get it back to the default icon that would be great thanks EDIT forgot to mention the customize tab is there if I click on other folders clike C Fraps for example

A:Can not change icon for C:\<User Name>\Desktop

Personal User Shell Folders

This link should help.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/240948-can-not-change-icon-c-user-name-desktop.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Customising user folder icons has always been a bit tricky All user folders apart from the desktop and contacts user folders can be changed via the customize tab in properties when the user folder is accessed from my computer i e not from the desktop To customise the desktop and contacts user folders requires a registry change For Windows this is explained here User Folders - Change Default Icon - Windows Help Forums and the necessary reg files are also provided This method actually worked for me too in Windows However after the newest updates the icons icons? to How user the folder Desktop and change Contacts I had added this way have disappeared and so has the customize tab which I had added via the reg files available on the page mentioned above Repeating the reg change would not make a difference The newest updates must have changed something in the Windows registry to that effect through those updates all other user folders also lost the custom icon I had previously added but I was able to easily restore them as the customize tab of these user folders didn't disappear Hence my question how to now change the folder icons for the desktop and contacts user folders in windows Since all my other user folders are customised in a particular style leaving the default icon for the desktop and contacts folders looks a bit weird

A:How to change the Desktop and Contacts user folder icons?

You could get the trial version of Microangelo on Display:

Home of Microangelo: The Grand Daddy of Icon Software

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/31693-how-change-desktop-contacts-user-folder-icons.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I created a Win 10 Pro computer user as a standard user when connecting computer to the domain.  However, the office main business program, the antivirus program, and even Outlook will not run unless I click "Run as Administrator" and use
my admin credentials.
* the user account was previously created on the Server 2012R2
How can I elevate this user to admin?  I really don't care what they do with this computer.  Just need these 3 things to run all the time.
Thanks,
Darryl

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7d3e09c8-5cfb-4e1c-9b2b-0dd67ea31c3c/server-2012r2-win-10-pro-desktop-change-standard-user-to-admin?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 51.6%

(reposted from Customization)

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/392449-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Having just learned from an OLD post here that renaming a user account apparently doesn't change the order in which the corresponding logon icons appear at startup -- due to the order being apparently determined by when each folder was originally created, which was when this computer was first opened back in 2011 -- I want to be able, after creating a new user account, to migrate data from the account whose name I changed. I'd been previously suggested to try User Profile Wizard from Forensit.com... would this be a good idea, or can you suggest something different?

HP/Compaq CQ2014, AMD E-300, Radeon HD graphics, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit custom SP1, 3MB RAM, 500GB disk

Bob

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/392313-create-new-user-migrate-old-users-data-change-logon-icon-order.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Hey I recently started to notice some strange activity on my MacBook, and am unable to change the root user, along with this on my console the country code sometimes changes to NL without me doing so. Sometimes I also get a message on my console saying "parental controls, start observing". Is there something fishy going on ?, any help much appreciated, thanks

A:Unable to change root user and country change on console, mac osx

Please post any operating (or infection) problems to the Mac forum area, as they are not handled here ...........

Operating Systems → Mac OS  ...............

Thank You - - - -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552928/unable-to-change-root-user-and-country-change-on-console-mac-osx/
Relevancy 49.88%

I installed Win x with a user name quot user quot a long time ago At some point I changed the User's name to quot Karen quot to make it easier to spot on the home network etc The Computer Name quot Dell quot has not changed Today I wanted to connect to the computer quot Karen quot using my workgroup not a homegroup All of my other computers now share with workgroup However the computer quot I Name user the and user's the Can remove old change completely name? Karen quot does not Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? require a password to logon so when I tried to connect via the workgroup I got a popup box asking for the Credentials to Connect I need to enter the User Name and Password to connect to quot Dell quot And I and wife don't know the password Anyways I reset the password using the quot Reset Forgotten Password quot tutorial going into registry etc That worked but I still could not access the computer Karen - windows would not accept the password Running quot net users Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name? quot I see that I don't have a User quot Karen quot I have a user quot user quot So i used that user name with the new password and I'm connected All is good But how do I get rid of quot user quot and replace with quot Karen quot Can this be done

A:Can I change the user's Name and completely remove the old user name?

Quote: Originally Posted by CountryBumkin

But how do I get rid of "user1" and replace with "Karen"? Can this be done?

When a new user is created in Windows, either the first user when Windows is installed or any user later on, and the new user has signed in to Windows first time, the user profile is created and named. Any later username change does not change the name of the user profile.

An example, if my ex-wife had created a user account for me on a Windows computer she had most probably named it as "Idiot". If I then later on changed my username on that computer from "Idiot" to "Kari", my profile had remained as "Idiot".

Basically, the easiest way to change this is to create a new user account and profile with the preferred name, copy the personal files and folders from C:\Users\Wrong_Username folder to C:\Users\New_Username, and delete the user Wrong_Username completely.

In your case now you can try the method told in this tutorial: User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372135-can-i-change-users-name-completely-remove-old-user-name.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi there,

In Win-7, as an admin-user, it was easy to change the picture from another user. In Win-8 I'm only able to find where I can change my own picture. Can't I set it anymore for other users?

Cheers.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11409-change-user-account-picture-another-user.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Friends I need your help I have one and only one Windows laptop system in a production environment that insists on randomly rearranging desktop icons There are other laptops in the same office configured in much the same fashion plugged move, image change, change Desktop Icons unstable: into large desktop monitors the same way Desktop Icons unstable: move, change, image change that do not exhibit this evil vile behavior I don't know what is causing it nor how to remedy none of the three has dedicated GPU all are recent vintage systems using variants of intel HD quot gpu quot s one lenovo one hp one acer the troubled one the only diff is that the problem laptop gets picked up and taken away sometimes I noticed myself that if I open the lid and boot up the system I'll get a different look to the desktop than when plugged in to the monitor other than the obvious scaling adjustments Icons will move and change appearance sometimes scaling differently than other times there is NO auto-arranging Desktop Icons unstable: move, change, image change selected no snap to grid like most people the user very much needs to set the icons manually and have them remain stable any ideas what is going on or how to remedy

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/67022-desktop-icons-unstable-move-change-image-change.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Here's my issue, I would like to RDP to a Windows 7 laptop. Even with Administrative privledges, it will tell me "Waiting for user to respond". I would like to either switch users via RDP, or force them to log off without prompting.

Server is SBS 2008. I already have "Set Rules for remote control of Terminal Services user sessions" to Full Control without user's permission.

Relevancy 48.59%

Hi! I'm using a Neo netbook, running Windows Ultimate 32-bit. I found out that my user profile got corrupted after a forced shut down (the battery doesn't work and the power went out causing it to shut down). The Welcome screen goes on for minutes, then "Preparing Your Desktop" appears and when it finally starts, Windows says that I've logged on with a temporary profile and that files will be deleted when I log off. Of course I've searched about this on the web and tried the REGEDIT method wherein I renamed the .bak file or something. I also tried making a new user profile, but the problem is, the new user that I created also seemed to be temporary, like, when I save a file, it will disappear after a reboot. Does anyone know any other method to fix this? Thank you in advance!

A:Preparing Your Desktop User profile corrupted, TEMP User

This looks like the same or similar problem as here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ed-hidden.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/332536-preparing-your-desktop-user-profile-corrupted-temp-user.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi,

Is there a way that it automatically changes the desktop icons size when i change the resolution?

example:

Resolution: 1024 x 768
Desktop icon size: Medium icons

i want to change to:

Resolution: 800 x 600
Desktop icon size: Classic icons

Relevancy 48.16%

Can I change desktop background with favourite picture in Windows 7 starter? May I know how to change!!
Thank you.

A:How to change Change desktop background Windows 7 starter

Well, theres probably a more tech way to do this...but. I just copy the photo of what I want the background to be on my desktop. Right click on on the photo and then click on "set as desktop background"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/463112/how-to-change-change-desktop-background-windows-7-starter/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,
I have a Windows 8.1 system on a lap top that was used by a former employee. Her name was still on user name and I couldn't change it without Admin privileges (otherwise was asking for a smart card). Found out how to get in to admin in safe mode with Net
User Admin yes- then discovered that the old log in and information / desk top is no longer available. The docs are under Users (old employee's name) in C drive, but the docs and settings no longer show up and the admin log in is the only one available - no
option to change users.
When I went in and said Net User Admin no - thinking if I disabled admin user it would go back to the old log in -  there was no log in available at all.

Help?
Launa

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/56c281dc-3368-4418-93ac-3cd96832c513/enabled-net-user-admin-to-change-an-account-name-cant-change-name-and-now-origial-login-account?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 47.3%

Windows XP Remote Desktop Behaviour is desireable. that is, when one account is logged in, if another account is tried to use to log in remotely from another computer, then the 2nd user cannot connect and it is indicated who is currently logged in.

Windows 7 Default behaviour is to allow the second user to try to disconnect the first user through a query message which has an idle timer.

Is there any way to change the behaviour back to windows xp, where 1) disconnection of the 1st user session is not possible, and 2) it is indicated which user is signed on?

Also, even one out of 1) , 2) is better than nothing...

thanks,

A:Remote Desktop disconnects rdp user when 2nd rdp user tries to log on

Hi Rnj,

You maybe able to do this within group policy.

See:
All Group Policy Settings for Remote Desktop Services in Windows Server 2008 R2

You can set an option to 'Deny logoff of an administrator logged in to the console session' or 'Set time limit for active but idle Remote Desktop Services sessions' etc.

I suggest that you make a note of what you do so that you can un-do it if needed
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/222661-remote-desktop-disconnects-rdp-user-when-2nd-rdp-user-tries-log.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Howdy All -
I'm thinking I'm not the first nor the last to have MS trick me into changing my User Name from Local to (in my case) an outlook.com email account. Now I'm forced to sign in every time I log on. And FWIW, I prefer to be fully in charge of my devices.
-
I surely would appreciate some guidance on the proper way to switch back to a Local User and disassociate my computer from outlook.com. Many thanks in advance for reading this and all replies.

Best,
/jdU

A:Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Settings>>Accounts>>Under your Microsoft Account listing, click on "Change to a Local account instead".

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49640-proper-safe-way-change-microsoft-com-user-local-user.html
Relevancy 47.3%

OS Windows XP v Professional SP I restored the computer system as I had lost everything stored in the old user profile A NEW USER PROFILE mlinda quot is created with the correct domain attached to it eg CAA MAU and is fully restored The OLD USER PROFILE quot m linda quot remains in the documents and settings BUT - the domain is of a local computer eg SPARXX and it no longer works with the eg CAA MAU domain The original quot m linda quot user profile contains almost nothing in it no documents etc m linda is still listed in the userlist in computer management BUT 2 (fully name user user restored) new profile old ? Urgent-How profile change to back NOT THE NEW mlinda In administrator mode I dont t see ALL the contents of the newly restored profile Questions How do I change user profile quot mlinda Urgent-How 2 change new user profile (fully restored) back to old user profile name ? quot that has successfully retored everthing back to quot m linda quot since the new profile has everything intact How do I safely delete the newly restored quot mlinda quot and ensure everything is back to normal with the OLD USER PROFILE m linda How to ensure that the correct domain name is attached to the profile by transferring all the data from THE NEW mlinda eg domain CAA MAU to THE OLD m linda that currently has a local computer domain SPARXX User profile m linda has to be attched to domain CAA MAU Should I be backing up before eventhough the new mlinda is in super condition I read in forums that the links to desktop can be lost by transfering How do I retain it Do I have to change anything in the registry value Should I do it with Administrator account in normal mode or safe mode When I log on as an Administrator both mlinda and m linda is as brand new and none of the exisiting files in it When I log in as mlinda new I still see m linda local computer domain in the user list but not mlinda the new But when I right click properties of c documents and setting mlinda under security I see that mlinda is listed with the correct domain name My biggeest fear is not to lose the domain ouutlook etc while changing mlinda to m linda B Rather than going through a process of copying mlinda to m linda Is it possible just delete THE OLD USER PROFILE m linda and rename the THE NEW USER PROFILE mlinda since this is fully restored to m linda If yes what are the best steps And how can I make the adjustments to user list since when wondows starts there is only THE NEW PROFILE mlinda popping up I need it back to m linda I read in a forum that I can go to registry HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVer Profilelist and change but I don t want to mess with it In my case in the registry i should I delete m linda first and rename mlinda to m linda This is rather urgent and need to fix today All your help are truly appreciated Thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/urgent-how-2-change-new-user-profile-fully-restored-back-to-old-user-profile-name.1004093/
Relevancy 46.44%

I'm setting up Win for the st time on a Lenovo Win laptop It had to do a ton of upgrades before all the features would work like the touch screen amp task bar Once all the updates were completed I started to set it up Somehow I missed the part where you put a name to the quot USER quot in the C drive On my Asus it says This USER? This to edit/change "USER" How > user > in: C: PC> PC gt C gt user gt johnf But on the Lenovo is says This PC gt C gt user gt USER I went in amp changed the Local Account Admin to a Name I wanted hoping that would change quot USER quot to quot rocco quot but it didn't I know that all programs installed in the future will have a path that looks like This How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER? PC gt How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER? C gt user gt USER gt Dropbox unless I can change it I'm not very far into setting the laptop up so I want to make sure I don't keep moving forward in case I have to reset or roll back anything How can I fix this problem Also why do I have a C drive GB amp a D drive GB after I did the Win update it had Win on it but needed to upgrade to a newer version amp now I have a D drive that i did not create Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/how-to-edit-change-user-in-this-pc-c-user-user-1145193.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi! I'll describe my problem with an example. Let's say I'm moving a file to the desktop (the folder in Windows Explorer). When I then check the desktop, the file isn't there. My problem is that changes that are either made to the desktop or the desktop folder doesn't apply to the other one, so the desktop folder and the desktop itself looks different. How can I fix this?

Sorry for the confusing explanation :/

A:Changes made in the desktop folder doesn't change on the desktop.

So what is the issue?

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/38481-changes-made-desktop-folder-doesnt-change-desktop.html
Relevancy 46.44%

My desktop was hijacked by what Norton identifies as: Trojan.Destophijack.
I have successfully removed it according to the instructions from Norton's Website. HOWEVER, I can no longer change the desktop background from solid black. There is not even a tab for Desktop on the Display Properties window of the Control Panel.

How do I get the option back?

A:[resolved] Desktop Hijack removed, cannot change desktop.

Try this

Go to Run --> type in regedit

Then go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Look for the entries NoDispAppearancePage and NoDispBackgroundPage. If they have 1 as their values, set them to 0.

Delete the file wallpaper REG_SZ

Close regedit

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resolved-desktop-hijack-removed-cannot-change-desktop-53229.html
Relevancy 45.58%

My default icon for a url shortcut that I drag to my desktop is a blank page with the shortcut arrow. I would like to change that icon system wide. I use Firefox so if I could find a way to have the url shortcut to be a page with the Firefox globe and then make it so it is the default for all url's that I drag to desktop as a shortcut.

I know how to make a customer icon I just don't know how to make it so the icon is used system for url shortcuts on my desktop.

A:Change desktop icon when dragging a url to desktop

See if some of then suggestions in this thread help you Change the Firefox Internet Shortcut? ? mozillaZine Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/372118-change-desktop-icon-when-dragging-url-desktop.html
Relevancy 45.58%

We are using Windows XP Home edition and 10+ user account is created and ?\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop? is shared so that any network computer can access or send data to desktop. Here problem is when login user save any file in desktop then it is saved in ?\Documents and Settings\<LoginName>\Desktop? which is not a shared Folder and i donot want to share it.
We are saving files ?\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop? with shortcut on desktop. But if new user login he must be informed otherwise he/she may paste in this desktop.
So is it possible to set All User Desktop has default Desktop to all the user account. So that if a user save any file is desktop then it saves in ?\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop? by default.

A:How to set All user desktop to all user account

Not really per se.
You can setup Microsoft office applications to default to saving new documents to a specific folder. In Word you can click on Tools > Options > File Locations.

I suppose you could redirect the users entire My Documents target to that folder location but that just seems too dangerous to me. But then it would dump all their files into there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-set-all-user-desktop-to-all-user-account-412477.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

A:User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 44.29%

I would like to change my user name on this forum, is this possible. And if so how do I do it? Thanks

Relevancy 44.29%

I have just installed Windows Xp Pro Sp2 on my computer. I see after everything is completed I have Administrator as my user name what I would like to know is if there is a way to change the user name safely. I have tried to change the name through the control panel but when I click the user account the option to change account name is not listed .

A:Change Win Xp Pro User Name?

You are logged in using the base administrator account. This account cannot be changed. If you want a different user name you can create a new user account with administrative powers. Normally what happens after that is that you will be able to see only the new user account in normal mode and the base "administrator" account will be visible in safe mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-win-xp-pro-user-name.735261/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Guys

I know this might sound easy, but I have spent the last 24 hours trying to do this! I have been trying:

Start - Control Panel - User Accounts - Select User - Change Name

and the user name has changed and I thought everything was okay. However this appears to be only a visible change, as I have a program that uses this name and it is still reporting the previous user name.

Am I missing something? I created a new user account and my program reports the new user name

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Neil

A:How Do I Change A User Name?

Are you using the method described on this page?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108936/how-do-i-change-a-user-name/
Relevancy 44.29%

Is there a way to change my user name on this website? I tried to look and didn't see anything.

A:Change user name?

Hello Petoskey,

Only an Administrator or Super Mod can change your user name. What would you like to have your user name to be instead? I would be happy to change it for you.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272930-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Running XP Home. Would like to change a User Name in Documents & Settings, but the system says No. Can this be done? Thanks

Relevancy 44.29%

when I setup my new dell inspiron with windows 10, I did not know how it assigned the user names shown on the login, I would like to change them. How can I change the user names. I have 3 and want to change all of them

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-name-change.1164107/
Relevancy 44.29%

I bought a new computer and gave my old one to my wife, both are Win 7 Home Premium. When hers first started it came up with my User name and picture so I changed my name to hers and my picture to hers. Unfortunately that was the only place it changed User names. When I look at the Home Group on my computer I have 2 computers with my name! Also iTunes has my name in the file for hers.
I have Senior Moments and get confused very easily. Is there a correct way to change the User name on her computer to eliminate my confusion?

A:User name change

Welcome to the Forums!

Please refer to the following Tutorial:

User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name

If you still have some questions, at the bottom of the tutorial there are links to other tutorials relevant to your question.

Hope this helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/179801-user-name-change.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Is there a way to change the user name on a Windows XP computer? I replaced someone else in a position and need to keep all their files, etc. But it is annoying to keep logging in as her. And I reallyl don't want to try to figure out how to transfer all her everything into a new user name set up for me. Needless to say, I know any passwords involved.

Thank you

A:Change user name

Scroll down on the page lionked below and it covers changing the user account:
http://help.expedient.net/general/winxp_profiles.shtml

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-name.379947/
Relevancy 44.29%

I recently bought a used computer. It had a lock screen on it n I don't know password...can you help

A:Change user

I'm afraid not. From the site rules...
Please do not ask for assistance with (or ways to bypass) a forgotten or unknown password, personal identification number (PIN) or any other type of access code that may be required on a computer, mobile device or web site. As there is no way to verify the actual situation or intent, no assistance will be provided and any such threads will be closed.Click to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user.1171377/
Relevancy 44.29%

After I installed Windows 10, I created a Microsoft online account to see what it was like. During the process, it changed the name on my local Windows 10 user account. I used Control Panel to go to Users, but there seemed to be no way to change the name back to the original. It's the only account on the computer. Surely changing the name is possible, but how? Will I have to create a new administrator account and delete the old one?

A:Can't change User name

This worked for me:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/user-account-name-change

Hope it helps.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/10542-cant-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Mods is it possible to change my user name at all? would like a hyphen between "steve-pressman" like that

Regards

Steve

A:Can I change my user name ?

Quote: Originally Posted by stevepressman

Hi Mods is it possible to change my user name at all? would like a hyphen between "steve-pressman" like that

Regards

Steve

Hi

Have a read of this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...nts.html?ltr=U

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/49578-can-i-change-my-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello, I have just bought a second hand laptop (once again!). I have changed the user name on it to my name (kasim). But the problem is that when i go to Computer and then Users, the user name is still the same as before. The only settings that are on my name is the start menu. Can u please help me change the user name in every setting.

Thanks!

All the settings are the same on this laptop. (Windows Vista, Home Premium etc.)

A:Change User name

Hello Kasim,

When you change your user account name through "User Accounts" in the Control Panel, it only changes the name that is display at log on and in the Start Menu. It will not change the C:\Users\(User-name) folder's original name.

The only way to do this is to create a new account of the same type (administrator or standard), copy the files in all of your old account's C:\Users\(User-name) folder into the corresponding new account's C:\Users\(User-name) folders. After everything checks out ok in the new account, you can then delete the old account from within the new one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/272905-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi all;

I just bought a new computer with xp on it and the user name is RadioShack.
My name appears in User Accounts as Administrator. Guest is there also.
Under Documents and Settings is "RadioShack"
Very Annoying.
Can you tell me how to change it to my name?
Appreciate any help and thanks.

A:How to Change User Name?

Hi !!!!!!!!!!

follow the instruction:
Control panel>>>administrative tools >>>>> Local Security and policy
>>>> Local policy >>>>> Security option >>>> Accounts: Rename administrator account
Kvijay

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-change-user-name-382571.html
Relevancy 44.29%

My computer came with the user name of "Valued Customer". I have changed the account name, but the user name has stayed the same. Can I change the user name in Windows 7, Home Premium?

A:Change User Name

The only way to change the name is to open a new account, transfer everything over and delete the old account.

To avoid being corrected, allow me to add that you probably can by a registry hack, but I would not try a procedure like that, risking a potential problem later on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/97784-change-user-name.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I changed the name of my pc and I am the only user of my pc and do have the admin rights however there is still a folder out there with the old name and I do not have permissions to change it due to it being in settings. I am referring to the folders named
Michael
Public.
Michael should read Tami where do I go to change this?

Thanks

A:change user name

When you "Rename" an user account it ONLY changes the name and NOT the related folder.

The only way to get a new name with a new folder, is to make a new user account and then move/copy all files from the old to the new.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-name.1158197/
Relevancy 44.29%

In my area, Goodwill sells refurbished computers, and I purchased one. The standard practice of Good Will is to create the default user of the computer. In that regard, there is a locked symbol on that account. And I discovered this Naming after I installed all of the Programs on the computer. I need the default user name changed to my choosing because this default name populates all the fields of nomenclature in all installed programs--some of which have to be changed each time. Is there a way to change the name of the locked default user on my computer? Thanks for any help WilbertC.

A:User Name Change

Hi and welcome to TSF you should really speak to goodwill and have them fix the name issue

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/user-name-change-685173.html
Relevancy 44.29%

i have an NT server 4.0 and it automatically logs in. now i want to login as an administrator now, but every time i reboot or control alt delete to log off, it just logs right back on as the auto login guy. how do i sign in as the admin????

A:change user???

Hold down the left shift key while logging off and keep it held down until the system pops-up the logon screen. At that point, type in the new name and password.

Don't hit esc or click cancel or go away for any length of time, as it will proceed to logon with the old user.

After you are through and logoff again, you will get an error message and you will have to re-enter the auto login info at the logon screen.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user.73509/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi I m having trouble with the following scenario I connected a workstations running Windows XP Home to a Server Windows Server I setup a user name on the server we ll say quot jondoe quot At the workstation I changed the existing user account name in control panel to match the server jondoe original user name was quot Owner quot typical for XP Home I also set matching passwords for jondoe on the server and workstation I then rebooted and logged in as jondoe -- Name Help! Issue Change Please XP User on the workstation Normally I d be able to access the server without additional popup windows or quot access denied quot errors if the workstation login password matches the server s login password for a given user HOWEVER this is not the case I either get additional login windows or quot access denied quot From what I can see the login name and or credentials being passed to the server is still quot Owner quot and NOT quot jondoe quot If I setup on the server an quot XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! Owner quot account I connect fine But I can t use quot Owner quot XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! I have other workstations to connect with quot Owner quot accounts Please help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-user-name-change-issue-please-help.706602/
Relevancy 43.86%

I went to the Control Panel User Accounts I created a new user account named CAG and made CAG an Administrator Then I went to the directory on to name User change How account Drive C and looked in the Users account instead How to change User account name of finding CAG I found Owner According to Mr Microsoft a user account is a collection of information that tells Windows which files and folders you can access what changes you can make to the computer and your personal preferences such as your desktop background or screen saver User accounts let you share a computer with several people while having your own files and settings I would like users on my LAN to refer to me as CAG not Owner I understand that the Owner account is the default setting What do I need to do to get rid of it Does CAG need to become the Owner of the Owner account Does she need Special Permission to become the Owner Is the Owner account radioactive

A:How to change User account name

Answering topic title [How to change User account name:
Changing the name of a created user account or of a created admin account will only change the "face" of the account.
The account's infrastructure retains the name it was created with.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/594696/how-to-change-user-account-name/
Relevancy 43.86%

On my Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) machine I can't change my user account picture. I can't even change to one of the built-in pictures. My 64-bit machine doesn't have this problem.
When I attmpt to change the picture I'm told it isn't the right format. Again this applies to the built-in pictures as well as my jpeg photo. So I know the pictures are OK and can only guess the problem lies else where.
Both machines are members of a SBS 2011 domain.

Does anyone have any ideas?

A:Win 7 won't allow me to change user picture

First try sfc/scannow to see if Windows can repair any damaged or corrupted system files.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

If that doesn't work, try a repair install. If you do it correctly, you shouldn't lose any data.
Repair Install

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/169455-win-7-wont-allow-me-change-user-picture.html
Relevancy 43.86%

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, x86 Family 15 Model 12 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1023 Mb
Graphics Card: RADEON 9600 Family (Microsoft Corporation), 1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 59835 MB, Free - 43697 MB; X: Total - 179531 MB, Free - 146401 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, MS-6702
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I have two users both with administrator privileges and can access each others files. I would like to change it so they can only access only their own. Can I do it?

A:Want to change user acess

Not if they are administrators. You shouldn't run as an administrator for an ordinary account, anyway, since malware then has free reign on your machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/want-to-change-user-acess.1052506/
Relevancy 43.86%

I bought this computer on ebay a few weeks ago and everything has been great. I was hoping the seller wiped the computer clean, but there was still some user names and name of computer filled from the prior user, so I went into control panel and changed the admin user name and all other things pertaining to the owner of this computer now belonging to a new user name; (to my knowledge) however, when I go to view this file (shown below) through winrar and then through a browser it still shows the prior user's name. Why is this and how can I fix the problem?? I'm sure it's a simple fix. Thanks!

A:How to truly change user's name in WIN 7 Ultimate?!

Hello Kaiyou, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The best way would be to create a new user account for yourself, then delete the old one.

Of course, since this is a used computer off ebay, it may be best to do a factory restore or reinstall Windows to start fresh. You never know what may be on it from the previous owner.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/343505-how-truly-change-users-name-win-7-ultimate.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I just reinstalled Windows XP Professional (after a failed attempt at a newer operating system) and when I open the user accounts menu and choose change name, the window opens along with a small box saying Unspecified error. After closing it, I try to click in the area to start typing a new name, but nothing happens.

Everything else works, I can create a password, change the picture and what not. It's just the name. I am the only account (thus a computer administrator). Please help.

A:Cannot Change name in User accounts

Click Start / Run and type in the following control userpasswords2 and click OK . Then click the Advanced tab and then the Advanced button. Then remove desired accounts, rename the administrator account and click Apply & OK.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-change-name-in-user-accounts.887013/
Relevancy 43.86%

When the OS was installed on my new solid state drive the user name Owner How to name user change Owner? was used I would like to create two user accounts and make them How to change user name Owner? both Administrators I went to Control Panel and clicked on User Accounts Then I clicked on Change your account name and I typed a user name above where it said This name will appear on the Welcome screen and Start menu then I clicked Change Name Next I clicked Change account type and selected Administrator Next I clicked on Change How to change user name Owner? your picture browsed to find a picture and inserted one Then I clicked on Manage another account and selected Create a new account and I created a new account When I rebooted it said Welcome to Windows Professional and displayed the icons for both users and when I selected one I arrived on my Desktop Everything seemed to work perfectly until Iuntil I went to C Users and did not find the name of my new How to change user name Owner? user account instead Owner was there I ight clicked on Owner and looked for the Rename facility it was not there I scroll down and clicked on Properties on the General tab I was unable to change the name Owner on the tab for Sharing it said Owner shared then I clicked on the Security tab and It said Object Name C Owner There was a heading Group or User Names under it were items Oneitem combined the new user name with system name owner Since the name Owner was changed using the Change name facility in User Accounts why does this item appear here I can rename most folders by right clicking on the folder name and selecting Rename Why isn't Rename available with in C Users Owner How do I change the user name Owner KCav

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/594941/how-to-change-user-name-owner/
Relevancy 43.86%

I've seen this several times now: an employee gets a computer, and has his or her name installed as the user, for example, Sarah. She logs in as Sarah, and her files are in \Documents and Settings\Sarah\ and so on. Sarah leaves and Joyce is hired. The name on the login is changed from Sarah to Joyce, which is all well and good, but the account name in the directory is still Sarah.

I'm sure there's a good way to do this, but I haven't come across it yet... probably I'm looking in the wrong places, but...

Anyone?

A:How To Change User Name Completely

You can't change it.The Documents & Settings folder, and the folders under it, are fixed at install time and can't be moved or renamed. It is possible to work around this with a little clever hacking (Microsoft has an article on how to do this), but in many cases it's not the wisest idea. If you install a program that expects these folders to be in their default locations and they're not, the program may not work correctly. (This is actually the fault of the program for assuming where things are instead of reading the proper pathnames from the registry, but you can never really tell when you're going to run into a badly-written program!) (Taken from HERE)The solution is to create a user account for Jane, then move everything from Sarah's files to Janes.Then delete Sarah's account.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/169883/how-to-change-user-name-completely/
Relevancy 43.86%

I am the sole user of my pc.

Under Settings/Accounts
my name is:-
John Smith
my email address
Administrator

Q1 How do I change this to just:-
Pete
Administator?

Under This PC
I have drives C, F and G
In C the user is called John
In F user called Pete
In G user called Pete
Q2 How do I rename user John to Pete?

Thanks, Pete

A:How to change Account Name and User Name?

Under Accounts, your name is John Smith.
Isn't there the option "Edit name" right under John Smith ?

Settings > Accounts > right side, Manage my Microsoft account > left side, under your name, Edit name.

I don't know about changing user name.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/33805-how-change-account-name-user-name.html
Relevancy 43.86%

We have a user who really has very little knowledge about PC's and has been given an awesome laptop. This user will need to change the IP address from time to time and I have created a batch file using netsh to allow him to change the IP based off of what branch he will be at. The thing is, he does not have sufficient rights to make the change. I am not sure how to grant him access to be able to change the IP address. I don't want to give him admin rights, because the next thing you know, there will be a lot of crappy software on this business laptop. Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,

Relevancy 43.86%

Windows 10 has used my MS account to create my username on windows 10. But it has shorten it.
Let me give you an example to make my question clear:

Imagine my MS account is "[email protected]". When I go to C:\Users I want to have "myname"
But windows 10 has shorten the name and now in C:\Users I have "myna" instead of "myname".

Is it possible to change this name to myname?

A:is it possible to change user's name in windows 10 ?

Hey ... I'm glad you mention this because I was trying to figure out how I did the samething. My self I was probably messing around with 2 or 3 installations of windows 10 and got side track. Now that you mention this I know exactly what you mean and how it got done now, thanks lol . Now to your question . The simple answer is no you can't change it but what you can do is create another account the way you want and afterwards just delete that account with the mistake , make sure you give admin rights . Though in my case I didn't do this but rather it was one of my first installation of windows 10 so I wanted to try doing a few installations, so I ended up doing a re installation lol call me crazy. I like to get the hang of things . Brink the Admin of this board can confirm yes you can and delete the old one afterwards or someone that knows for sure

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/13523-possible-change-users-name-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I just setup my new computer. There is only 1 account, which was setup originally as administrator. It was changed to user and now I would like to change it back to administrator. How do I do this? FYI...when I click on add or remove user accounts, it asks for an administrator password, since I'm no longer an administrator, the password space is blocked.

A:Change user to administrator

Only the administrator can give admin rights. I have no idea if this would work, but you could open the cmd prompt as administrator and enter

net user administrator /active:yes

This may make the administrator account show up. Your mileage may vary...

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/247779-change-user-administrator.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a simple question. How to I grant one standard user the right to change another standard user's password in windows 7 professional? Thanks.

A:One User Change Another's Password

Hi CyberSchoolTeacher :0To my knowledge, this isn't possible. You need to give that user Admin Rights in order for it to be able to change another's user password. And this is locally, on the same system, not on a domain.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578923/one-user-change-anothers-password/
Relevancy 43.86%

I'm not talking about simply changing the label in User Accounts in Control Panel, I mean chaning it fully, so that event the directory C:\Documents and Settings\NewUserName reflects the change.

A:Any way to change User Name in Windows XP Pro?

Your only option is to create a new user, log into that user, and the new directory is created.

You can copy the stuff from the old user into the new user's directory, but you'll still have to configure stuff that was in the registry for the new user.

I've done this on W2K to solve a strange Windows Explorer issue for a single user, I just abandoned that user and made another one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/any-way-to-change-user-name-in-windows-xp-pro.101636/
Relevancy 43.86%

I am the only user of my pc, and I am the administrator etc but the user name shown in the C drive is John and I want to change that to Pete.

I have drives C and F

In C the user is called John
In F user called Pete
Start/File Explorer/This pc/Local Disc (C/Users/John
Start/File Explorer/This pc/Local Disc (F/Users/Pete

Q2 How do I rename user John to Pete in the C drive?
Thanks
Pete

A:How to change C drive User Name?

Read this post in msg #8 and see if this helps you.
is it possible to change user's name in windows 10 ?

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/33904-how-change-c-drive-user-name.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I prefer to use an account linked to my Microsoft Account for various reasons, but I hate that it displays my full name on the login screen, on the Start Menu, ect.

Is there any way to edit the user text so it shows something different?

A:Change user name on Account?

Try this,,, goto Charms bar settings
Change PC Settings at the bottom
click on More Settings on line and you can change the name there.
This will affect your email account as well

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/11096-change-user-name-account.html
Relevancy 43.86%

My ftp server run on IIS of Windows server 2003. When romote user change his password,The error happened as follow:

ftp> open 192.168.0.2
Connected to 192.168.0.2.
220 Microsoft FTP Service
User (192.168.0.2none)): Guojianxin
331 Password required for Guojianxin.
Password:
230 User Guojianxin logged in.
ftp> quote site pswd "jackin" "guojianxin"
500 'SITE pswd jackin guojianxin': command not understood
ftp>​
what can I do ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-the-password-of-ftp-user.539233/
Relevancy 43.86%

Dear Members I have the need to delete remove the registered Username from a recently purchased Laptop comp running Win Home Premium I purchased User Win7 Name-Change the lappy from JB complete with Win and various programs pre-loaded normal deal for a young lady friend for Christmas Together we set the item up for her but I had Win7 User Name-Change the impression that said lady was completely underwhelmed by this item she having basic understanding of - and little need for - such an item Her true wish was for an external hard drive which I later purchased for her retrieving the laptop as it would never have been used Now my prob is that the I wish to remove her User name from the system and replace it with another it potentially being embarrassing should another female friend see this current Username appear on-screen and query Win7 User Name-Change its reason for being I appreciate that there appear to be various tech consequences of deleting this name if done incorrectly if at all possible and therefore am praying that some members out there may be of assistance in this matter Is anybody able to assist me with this problem please Any questions you might have will be answered to the best of my ability just as I will endeavour to follow any advice to the best of my ability Thanking you in anticipation Fellow Member Peejabe

A:Win7 User Name-Change

first thing to do is got to start/control panel /users and create a new acct with administrator right ,using your name .after doing that restart computer and enter under the new acct ,go to users again and delete her acct it will ask if you want to save files [like mydocuments and music and such] if you want to say yes ,and continue .
if htats not whay you want to do ,then in users just simply change the name on her acct

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/309898/win7-user-name-change/
Relevancy 43.86%

I installed windows 8 developer preview last night for dual booting purposes last night on a separate 20Gb partition. When I was using Windows 8 I Changed the location of my music library to my user folder on my windows 7 partition. Now when I boot in windows 7 the folder that was previously named after my username is now titled "my music" All of the contents of my users folder are in the folder. I cannot rename the folder back to my username by right clicking it and trying to rename it. any suggestions?

A:How do I change the name of my user folder?

It is the desktop.ini file located at the root of your user folder. Delete it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/187555-how-do-i-change-name-my-user-folder.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Root User Change
Hello. I have windows 8 with the upgrade (8.1). I bought this computer from someone who reinstalled the operating system so he could sell it. The root user name is "John Doe". I adjusted settings and tried to rename with my name however the ROOT user is still John Doe. I've heard I can create a new account and "move" all my files to my new account, thus essentially renaming the computer. I've heard all that changes is the "pointer". I'm fairly tech savvy so this is a bit embarassing, but this is something I have no experience with. Could someone please tell me exactly which files I need to move so I can delete the "John Doe" user? I'm a bit nervous about messing things up. Please give a brief walk-through if you would.

Thanks!

A:Root user Change

Follow this:

To reset your PC

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.
Follow the instructions on the screen.

Note
You'll be asked to choose whether you want to erase data quickly or thoroughly. If you choose to erase data quickly, some data might be recoverable using special software. If you choose to erase data thoroughly, this will take longer but it makes recovering data less likely.

From: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/root-user-change.204331/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi
Bought a used HP Laptop w/ Vista Business.
How can I change the User Name and Password?
Thx,
ZZZ

A:Change User - Pswd

so you have the details of the current username and password supplied by the seller - correct
you should be able to go to user accounts and set yourself up a new account with a new user and password

if you do not have access to the user set up, you may not be an admin user - you will need to go back to the business and ask for information about admin account

Often business rewrite the machine with thier own version of windows OS - so if its not the original software supplied with the machine -its possible there may be a license issue for you using the machine

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-user-pswd.787059/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hey. Someone who now how to change the user folders name. I had try man things but nothing works. HELP

A:How can i change the User folder name?

You can't, not without creating a new user. Your username will change everywhere else in Windows but the folder C:\Users\your user name will retain the username used when the user account was created. That's normal.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/241192-how-can-i-change-user-folder-name.html
Relevancy 43.86%

A friend, upon setup misspelled his name so the main User folder is incorrect. can he rename it? I know rename is not an option when right-clicking.

A:Can I change the main User name?

It is easier to create a new correct username and migrate to that user than making corrections to the existing user.

After complete migration (which includes copying all the data files from the default user's profile to the new user's profile) you can delete the old user name.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194981-can-i-change-main-user-name.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a recent problem where when the computer comes back from automatic standby or change of user it sticks on a blank blue screen for about 5 minutes, then it goes to the user accounts and sticks there for about 5 minutes before I can log on or turn off the computer.

Any thoughts?

A:very slow change user

Try using Fast User Switching: Windows XP: Turn On Fast User Switching

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/very-slow-change-user-562736.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have had this pc for a couple years now and i had bought it from an individual.It at one time had windows vista ultimate 64bit and was upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 64bit.I do not have a CD program to repair the system.

My problem is i have 3 accounts registered and i am the administrator.The other 2 are user accounts.I use to awhile back be able to access the "change your user account,Change your account type,and manage another account" feature.I cannot for some reason any more,i click the short cuts and nothing happens.I tried searching the net and didn't find anything that could help me out.

If i click the "manage your account type" function i get a Credential manage error....

Any help is much appreciated.....thanks

A:change your user account plus some

sigh.......................

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/218895-change-your-user-account-plus-some.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I don't know if this is suppose to go in this forum, but I was wondering on how to change the name of my computer's user. I changed it in the profile part, but I still see the name "Ben", the previous owner, on most of the files and things.

see? I want to change that part. Does anyone know how? Thanks

A:Solved: Change the name of my user?

You need to make a User account with the name you want, copy all of your files form the old account to the new one. BUT, you will NOT be able to use the same name that you changed the old one to, with out renaming it to something else.

After a few days and you are sure that you have ALL of YOUR files and data, you can then delete the old user account and files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-change-the-name-of-my-user.805919/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hey guys I'm new here just looking for some help.
When I got my PC the default user was jenna so I changed the name to Lucas (my name) but some stuff is still labeled jenna.
for example when I go into OS>Users there's no option for Lucas, just jenna.
Also when I try and right click the folder to change the name it wont let me. There is no rename option at all and if I go into properties the name area is grayed out.
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can finally get jenna off of my PC?

A:Cant change user name from jenna

Yes create you own User account make sure it's and Administrator, then delete the Jenna account
Control panel/user accounts/Manage Accounts. create your new account make it an Administrator account

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56674-cant-change-user-name-jenna.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi can someone please help me with this i have a Windows Vista PC x and i usually create administrator right accounts and one standard user account on my pc unfortunately User account change for me i deleted one of my adminisrator accounts and so i was left with one and i upgraded my Vista to Windows Professional sometime yesterday i am not really sure how i lost administrator priveleges in the account so now i have two standard accounts but no administrator and the default administrator password has been changed earlier and i dont remember what it is how can i change one of my standard User account change users to an administrator Now anytime i try to install something i can't because i User account change have no administrative rights i cannot afford to format because i will lose a lot of programs that i have paid for i cant even back up the keys because i have no administrative rights can someone please help me It would be greatly appreciated Is there a command i DOS or some form of a recovery disk that can help me out I had not made a restore point when i upgraded so that was could not help either

A:User account change

Hello Aaron, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if using a Peppermint 3 live DVD/USB may allow you to be able to back up anything that you do not want to lose before having to reinstall Windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...cy-backup.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/281369-user-account-change.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello. I have windows 8 with the upgrade. I bought this computer from someone who reinstalled the operating system so he could sell it. The root user name is John Doe. I adjusted settings and tried to rename with my name however the ROOT user is still John Doe. I've heard I can create a new account and "move" all my files to my new account, thus essentially renaming the computer. I've heard all that changes is the "pointer". I'm fairly tech savvy so this is a bit embarassing, but this is something I have no experience with. Could someone please tell me exactly which files I need to move so I can delete the "John Doe" user? I'm a bit nervous about messing things up. Please give a brief walk-through if you would.

Thanks!

A:Root User Change

Hello:

Any advice please?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/root-user-change.1129697/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,

my system is a fully patched win xp sp2 with 2 User accounts (admin and limited). I am running Spybot s&d with tea timer on. Everything has been running smoothly. Yesterday I took some adminstrative action (index.dat suite, deletion of cookies etc) after that tea timer gives a warning "Win Logon, Default User name has been changed from Admin to Limited and back" every time I switch between my accounts. Is this regular xp behavior or did some setting got messed up? I am not using "autoadminlogon" and haven't messed with the winlogon registry entry in any way. At least I think.

Any ideas appreciated. It is quite annoying to have these pop ups every time I change accounts.

Relevancy 43.86%

h

how to change from default profil to hp-HP\hp (my profil)?
please help me, cause frequent error

sorry for bad english

A:how to change user profile ?

dimashandoyo you want to change your Windows account Username?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306153-how-change-user-profile.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have changed the name of my only windwos 8.1 account, but the user folder has not changed and I can't figure out how to do it.

I tired to follow the instructions in this thread:

http://superuser.com/questions/495290/how-to-rename-user-folder-in-windows-8

but threre is no 'local users and group' icon in the computer management app.

so I tried to solve this by following the instructions in this thread:

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-unable-to-get-local-users-groups-snap-in-in-windows-8-1

but I had the same problem as the guys in the comment section, I just got the message: “This snap-in may not be used with this edition of Windows 8.1. To manage user accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel.”

As far as i can see there is no way to change the folder name in control pannel or on the properties tab of the file itself.

Any suggestions?

A:How to change name of user folder

Easiest way is to create a new account with the desired folder name.
Then copy the contents of the old user account to the new user account.
Set a System Restore point and backup your stuff first! (in case it decides that it objects to some of the changes)

If you want to be cautious, then just copy the data over (Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures, and Video - maybe the Desktop contents also)
Don't delete the old folder just yet - in case you need things from it.
Good luck!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579745/how-to-change-name-of-user-folder/
Relevancy 43.86%

i want to change the name in the red circle...my account name from control panel says its Jeff. and the licensed owner is jeff....i want that changed to jeff please....can i get some help?

A:How Do I Change The User Profile Name?

Hello,

In the User accounts section on control panel there should be an option to change the name. However this does not change the name in the command prompt or the documents and settings. I had this problem a while back and the solution I chose was to create another account with the correct name and transfer my files accross to the new account then deleting my old one. Its a lot of hassle, but it fixed the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/139836/how-do-i-change-the-user-profile-name/
Relevancy 43.86%

Purchased new computer, gave other computer to sister which had original Win98/Win98SE on it, she upgraded to WinXP, registered under her name; however, computer retained MY name, and everything we've tried to eliminate ownership of computer from my name to hers has not worked. Does anyone know how to do this? Tried: logoff, user, system properties changing, etc. If it is a registry change, please indicate step-by-step because the registry makes me nervous! Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

Relevancy 43.86%

Ok, I've read the threads on how to change who my puter is registered to by going into regedit, blah blah blah. Now, how do I change the "Documents and Settings" folder name when I search for the old registered name?

That may be confusing, here's an example:

-My puter was registered to "X and Y"
-I changed registered user to "X" by going into regedit
-When I search for "X and Y" on my puter, the "Documents and Settings folder" comes up and still shows "X and Y" as its name and I cannot change the name of that folder. How do I change the name of this folder?

Thanks,
PS

A:registered user change

Log on to the computer as an administrator.
Create a new folder.
Open the current "Documents and Settings" folder.
On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
Under Advanced settings click Show hidden files and folders, and then click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files check boxes.
Click OK.
Click and drag to copy all the folders to the new folder, except for the currently logged on users folder.
In Control Panel, double-click System, and then click the User Profiles tab.
Copy the current user's profile to the new folder.
Click OK, close Control Panel, and then log off and log on to the computer as an administrator again.
In Registry Editor, click Find on the Edit menu.
Type documents and settings, and then click Find.
Replace the value data or rename the value or registry key to the new path for each and every registry key and value that contains the original path.

NOTE: You must complete this change for every instance in the registry or your computer may not start. It is imperative that you update all registry keys and values with the new path.

Restart the computer.
You can now safely remove the original "Documents and Settings" folder.

To be fair, It would probably be easier just to create a new user, and move any files and folders that you want to the new folder, and then delete the old user!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/registered-user-change.349432/
Relevancy 43.86%

how do you change your indevidual user security so when you download something, the other users dont get it?

A:change user security?

Hi annax4493, and welcome to The Vista Forums

You will need to set permissions to your downloads folder(s)

have a read of the tutorial here ...

Folder Permissions

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/197090-change-user-security.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all, here is a good one for you NT gurus out there.
we have been having a few calls about users that can NOT change the network password, they get the error: "Unable to change the password for Microsoft Networking because of the following error: Access has been denied.
I have checked on the Microsoft site and found a couple of articles (Q 128490 & Q 198941) about it but did not resolve this Issue, Does anybody has a clue about this? What is preventing users to change the password?

A:User cannot change password

Maybe a restriction?

Take a look in Regedt32 at the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

If you find values like NoPwdPage or maybe NoSecCPL there, they could be responsible.

Good luck,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-cannot-change-password.63868/
Relevancy 43.86%

My ex set up my notebook for me which runs windows 7. He set himself as the administrator and me as a standard user. As he's no longer about how do I switch me to admin instead of him? And no he won't give me his password to do it (I've asked)

A:How do I change admin user?

Hello Princess, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Given your situation, I would recommend to reinstall Windows 7 by doing a factory recovery/restore since it's a notebook. This will give you a fresh start again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/248871-how-do-i-change-admin-user.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hey. I changed my user account name on Windows 7, and now the account is inaccessible. I have another account on the computer, but I cannot change the name back. Is there any way to make the account accessible again without re-installing Windows? If not, would a full back up from the other account back the data on the inaccessible account up as well as the other account's data? Please help!

A:User Account name change

Press the F8 key repeatedly at boot up or use the Startup disk.

Try a restore to before you changed my user account name
System Restore

System Recovery Options

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/175458-user-account-name-change.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello first of all I have to say that all worked fine allowed user not XP sp3: change since this morning I haven t changed anything maybe it depends on one of the latest automatic update Before XP sp3: change user not allowed today when I clicked on change user start gt disconnect gt change user and chose another user xp would let me in the other account Now the account is loaded for a second and then I am sent to the initial screen XP sp3: change user not allowed again the one where all account are shown it s like XP won t allow more than one user desktop to be active at a time Another thing that I noticed is that there is no more indication of how many programs are running under a certain account before it would say quot x programs are running quot and quot y mail messages are waiting quot or such things Basically XP won t let me in other accounts unless I completely disconnect the first user How can I solve this Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 43.86%

I installed Win7 HP and some how named the PC and my network or user name the same.

The PC name is Wilife and the user or log in name is Wilife. I want to change the user name to John like all the other stations on my network.

A:How Do I Change My Logon/ User Name

Welcome
Try control panel
User accounts
Change name

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/126636-how-do-i-change-my-logon-user-name.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all.

I have just bought my wife a new laptop and she wants to give her old, serviceable laptop to our son.

Rather than show her name on logon or add another user, l want to change the registered owner in system settings, add my son as an administrator user and delete my wife as a user.

However after adding my son as a user l cannot delete my wife's user profile, does not delete it.
Any ideas please? Windows XP Home service pack 2

Many thanks

A:Change registered user

Hi .Take a look, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783See the line about not being able to delete a user who is logged on, that may apply.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/175282/change-registered-user/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello and thank you for your help.

I need to change a user profile name on a laptop using Windows XP -

I have searched but can't find how to do this.

How do I proceed please?

Thank you

Relevancy 43.86%

Plz tell me how to change user name in c drive from this user name to my name.I changed administrative name but this name has not changed..Help me

A:Change user name in C Drive

Hello Mueenhasan,

The best way to do so would be to create a new account with the name you wanted.

However, the tutorial below can help show you how to properly change the name of your "C:\Users\(user-name)" folder. It's the same procedure in Windows 8.

User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name - Windows 7 Help Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/23680-change-user-name-c-drive.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I purchased a solid state drive, had Windows 7 Professional installed on it, and had the drive installed in a laptop computer; love the performance of my refurbished laptop , except on the System drive in the Users account the name Owner appears. Where did this come from?

When I go to User Accounts in the Control Panel and click on Manage Accounts, Owner does not appear. Why?

KCav

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/385157-how-change-user-name-owner.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi I'm having trouble with the following scenario I connected a workstations running Windows Please Name Help! Issue User Change XP -- XP Home to a XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! Server Windows Server I setup a user name on the server we'll say quot jondoe quot XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! At the workstation I changed the existing user XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help! account name in control panel to match the server jondoe original user name was quot Owner quot typical for XP Home I also set matching passwords for jondoe on the server and workstation I then rebooted and logged in as jondoe on the workstation Normally I'd be able to access the server without additional popup windows or quot access denied quot errors if the workstation login password matches the server's login password for a given user HOWEVER this is not the case I either get additional login windows or quot access denied quot From what I can see the login name and or credentials being passed to the server is still quot Owner quot and NOT quot jondoe quot If I setup on the server an quot Owner quot account I connect fine But I can't use quot Owner quot I have other workstations to connect with quot Owner quot accounts Please help

A:XP User Name Change Issue -- Please Help!

dallas2828,

First, the problem with simply changing the local username on an XP PC is that this doesn't change the references to named folders in C:\Documents and Settings so you'll still be saving files to folders named with the previous username.

The right way to set up your environment would be to ADD your XP PC to your Server 2003 domain (i.e. create a computer account). Likewise, you should add a domain USER account on your server. In this scenario, you should be able to login to the DOMAIN rather than to a user account configured on your local PC.

Simply synching the usernames and passwords on both the server and workstation(s) only works if you're setting up a "Workgroup" environment - which is similar to setting up home networking between multiple XP or Vista clients on the same home network.

- John

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-user-name-change-issue-please-help-243171.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I purchased a solid state drive, had Windows 7 Professional installed on it, and had the drive installed in a laptop computer; love the performance of my refurbished laptop , except on the System drive in the Users account the name Owner appears. Where did this come from?

When I go to User Accounts in the Control Panel and click on Manage Accounts, Owner does not appear. Why?

KCav

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385157-how-change-user-name-owner.html
Relevancy 43.86%

When shutting my desktop, Windows-7 automatically downloaded its latest update, asking me not to power off my PC.
The next day I started my PC and a window appeared asking me to either create-a-new-profile or select an existing profile.
Not knowing which profile I've been happily using, I chose "Default" profile.
Windows started but...
I lost all my bookmarks
Some of my cookies were erased so I had to enter my user-id and password at sites I visit daily.
On the right-portion where I enter URL's of sites I visit; there used-to-be a "search" field, it's gone.
How can I go back to where I can select the user-profile; before Windows did its latest update ??
It's definitely not the one I erroneously chose (default)

Thank You
Class59

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/393300-how-i-change-my-user-profile.html