Windows Support Forum

Help with viewing files on slave drive through Windows.

Q: Help with viewing files on slave drive through Windows.

I have a hard drive viewing files through Windows. Help drive on with slave with a corrupted version of Windows that cannot be repaired mainly all the time that would be spent trying to do so would be a waste because I just want to recover files and format the drive When I put this hard drive in my new computer windows Disk Check moved my stuff Program files access to My Documents etc to a folder called found broken up in smaller Help with viewing files on slave drive through Windows. folders with a name like dir chk through dir chk this is separate from the Windows corruption So when I get into Windows now I do not see this found folder KNOPPIX shows me this only but the drive indicates all the stuff is there Also I am assuming that this happened because of Disk Check but I could be wrong and it could be attributed to the corrupted Windows So my question is that is there any software I can use in Windows to view this folder or a way to repair the error that disk check made so I can see this folder through windows at least nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-viewing-files-on-slave-drive-through-windows.344551/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Help with viewing files on slave drive through Windows.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 74.82%

I just installed Windows Xp on a brand new HDD. The previous hard drive had Windows 2000, and since I didn't want to lose any files I installed that drive as the slave. But when I boot the machine up. And select the slave drive, none of the files, such as pictures, word docs, etc. are there. The folders are blank. What am I doing wrong? The jumper pin setting is correct because the picture is right on the label for the drive. Can anybody help?

Thanks.

Katy

Relevancy 65.36%

Hey guys Recently my windows xp OS hard drive crashed on me In desperation I installed a new HD with windows XP making my crashed drive the slave So I can still salvage my files So far so good until I tried to get into a few folders of mine that I had protected by Everstrike s Universal Shield When I try to view these folders I get access denied I ve tried logging in as administrator safe mode going through the registry to try and manual uninstall re-downloading installing and uninstalling Universal Shield- all to no avail The uninstall freezes up on me every time What I believe is happening is that Universal shield must still be installed on my slave drive still protecting those folders that I had it slave? old How now Crashed, you've hidden drive OS old on OS is drive HD files find when to lock How can I get rid of Universal shield on my slave drive giving me access to the folders I need to back up HD Crashed, How to find files you've hidden on old OS drive when old OS drive is now slave? Any ideas Thanks a lot hope we can get this figured out

A:HD Crashed, How to find files you've hidden on old OS drive when old OS drive is now slave?

If I can't figure this out, i'm going to lose about 5 years worth of pictures and documents I've wanted to save. Anyone have any thing to help?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/317429/hd-crashed-how-to-find-files-youve-hidden-on-old-os-drive-when-old-os-drive-is-now-slave/
Relevancy 64.5%

Help My wife s pc is a win machine and we have a slave drive Western Digital USB external drive which we ve slave see Can't files my on drive been cleaning off files and trying to back up everything This evening when she tried to access it it showed that gig of was used but we could not see the files We Can't see files on my slave drive rebooted the pc hoping that would fix it and at first the drive showed up but did not give us a capacity or used space or anything Now the drive is not showing up I do know that we deleted the quot System Volume Information quot folder on that drive and everything seemed to go Can't see files on my slave drive bad after that Is there anything we can do to recover those files or that drive It had many pics of our kids and other stuff and that s why we were in the process of backing up I ve downloaded Recuva to see if that could recover but it doesn t see the drive I then tried WinDirStat and it too does not see the drive Please Help Edit note I m editing to add that I can see the drive I ve unplugged the USB and restarted the drive and it now shows up But there is still no drive capacity nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-see-files-on-my-slave-drive.701132/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello everyone I recently had a computer technician install a master drive from my old computer into my new computer How From To Access Files Drive Slave making it a slave drive I did this in hopes of accessing all How To Access Files From Slave Drive the files stored on How To Access Files From Slave Drive this drive From what the technician said I was given the impression that everything stored in this drive will all be accessible once it is made a slave drive in my new computer However after the drive was installed I was unable to find anything--music pictures etc I tried both searching for them by name and manually looking for them in the E drive Yet strangely the properties window still reports the same storage capacity as before Then I highlighted everything visible in the E drive and viewed their collective storage number and came out a little over GB s which aught to be right but the main properties window still reports a usage of GB s which can only be if everything from before is still there I am hoping that this is a conclusive sign that everything is still there just hidden somehow Can someone please clarify this situation Thank you nbsp

A:How To Access Files From Slave Drive

What happens if you browse the drive? Do you see any files?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-access-files-from-slave-drive.53592/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have installed an old hard drive (win 2000 pro os) into a new computer (win xp pro) just to retrieve word, music, and pic files off it. the new computer recognizes and reads the old drive, but can't id any of the files. titles and formats are garbled. the software editions are the same. any suggestions?

thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/revtrieving-files-from-slave-drive.250894/
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a completely new amd 950 soyo pc with windows 98se (clean install) with a 60 gig drive that I cannot get it to see my other 60 gig drive. I am strying to slave it to save my files on the 2nd drive but my system isn't picking up the drive. I tried slaving it to my master but didn't work. I set it up as my secondary master but it's still not picking it up. The cmos see's it but the os doesn't. What happening here? I need to get my files off the second drive. I plan on using easy recovery to get my files from the second drive.

thanx

z

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi there... I just got a new computer and am moving all the files from the old hard drive on my old machine onto the new machines hard drive. I set the old drive up as the slave and the new drive up as the master and was in the process of moving all of the files in my documents over to the new drive when all of a sudden it would not let me touch any of the files in my documents on the old drive. Specifically, I can navigate my way into my documents, but then once I get into my documents, my mouse will not allow me to touch anything in my documents, and the program moves into not responding status. What could be causing this? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

A:cannot access files in my documents on slave drive.??

was the old drive FAT32 ? and what is the OS of your new system and old system

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-files-in-my-documents-on-slave-drive.257943/
Relevancy 63.21%

Got a 500GB slave drive and I am running XP home. The problem is that windows keeps populating my slave drive with update and install folders. The two latest being SP3 and a host of dotnet folders. I am the administrator and have never had a "permission" problem when deleting folders. Also, I have no "SECURITY" tab on my FILES->VIEW. I have surfed the web and found the article that is supposed to remedy that and bring back my "Advanced" field where I can select "Simple File Sharing". However, I that did not work, even in safe mode.

I know that I can create a TEMP folder and move the folders to there but don't want them coming back again. Is there a registry setting or a windows setting that I can set that forces the C drive for these temp type installation folders?

Brendan

A:Can't delete Microsoft Files on Slave Drive

probablecause,

My guess is that your slave drive has been formatted with FAT or FAT32 instead of NTFS. If this is the case, this would explain why you don't have a "Security" tab on the file/folder properties.

You may need to backup those files elsewhere, reformat that drive as NTFS, restore the files to that NTFS drive and configure the NTFS permissions via the Security tab.

- John

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-delete-microsoft-files-on-slave-drive-246141.html
Relevancy 63.21%

My computer files drive on accessing secured slave came down with a nasty virus that I didn t want to deal with anymore all the computer would do was constantly reboot could never get to log-in So I bought a new HD accessing secured files on slave drive which I really wanted anyway with intentions of loading new OS on the new drive and using the old drive as a slave and after copying all accessing secured files on slave drive the files I needed off the old drive I was going to reformat it for storage Everything worked out fine except on the old drive I had a separate password protected admin login named Billybob where I kept all accessing secured files on slave drive my important work files I also used the sharing and security function to protect Billybob from access from other users Now I can t access the files myself I can only access the files that were in the Guest profile that wasn t password protected When I click on or try to move the files in Billybob I get the access denied message I used the HD utility program that came with my new HD and it allowed me to actually move the files on to the new HD but the files are still protected when I try to open them Any help on this would be REALLY appreciated as I have over a years worth of technical workstuff in Billybob that I will never be able to replace Running Win XP pro on P G tks Bill nbsp

A:accessing secured files on slave drive

Google for: Take Ownership of Files

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-secured-files-on-slave-drive.513963/
Relevancy 63.21%

I am working on my daughter s computer Windows XP OS she began having problems no anti-virus software at all managed to load in safe mode with networking was running the virusscan and while in the middle of it the computer rebooted itself Did see before it rebooted there were many many worms trojans and PUP s After it rebooted I started running the virus scan again this time no worms or trojans showed only PUPs Deleted a bunch of them then rebooted now it will not do anything the harddrive light starts then does nothing Plugged the harddrive as a slave on another tower can see all the files but cannot access just hers which has all her music to download to her ipod Is there anyway to get this drive to master can see boot Cannot Master as files slave but drive boot again or will the XP cdrom reboot it Or how can I get to her files as a slave drive gives me access denied Almost forgot when running the drive as slave did run and delete trojans and worms nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-master-boot-but-can-see-files-as-slave-drive.41114/
Relevancy 63.21%

hello,

i took an old HD from my other computer which wasn't booting up and put it in my current one as a slave drive, but i can't access my personal files on it because (i'm assuming) i had a password set on it for my user account. i just get an access denied pop-up with no way of being able to unlock it.
any help is much appreciated,

thanks,
steve

A:old drive w/ its files in new comp as slave issue

sambramann said:

hello,

i took an old HD from my other computer which wasn't booting up and put it in my current one as a slave drive, but i can't access my personal files on it because (i'm assuming) i had a password set on it for my user account. i just get an access denied pop-up with no way of being able to unlock it.
any help is much appreciated,

thanks,
steveClick to expand...

boot up a knoppix live cd(you have to download the iso and burn it to a cd). You can then easily access your files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/old-drive-w-its-files-in-new-comp-as-slave-issue.473247/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have been unable to obtain a hard copy of my pre-installed XP Home and was wondering if would be practical to copy vital system files from C:\ to my slave drive which is partitioned in to F/G/H/ and I drives.

I was thinking particularly of the 'system32' files at 543MB and the 'ServicePackFiles/i386' at 383MB. Would these be available to 'sfc' etc if required, or am I wasting my time?

I do have the 'Smart Restore' contents on disks. These were taken off the HDD on advice from the retailer without my realising that they would actually be removed from the C:\ drive, when I was just after a hard copy. They should restore things to original if ever required.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

A:Backing Up System Files To Slave Drive

Are you saying that the retailer made you Restore disks for your system (the Smart Restore thingie)? If so, and if those disks are good - then that's the backup for your OS and it's what you'll use to restore your computer should it ever need it.

Saving the files from the drive won't do you much good - there's no easy way to restore them to your computer, since a new installation will generate new SID (security descriptors) that won't recognize the older ones.

An easier way is to use a program such as Acronis True Image to "image" your disk. This will create an exact copy of your hard disk. Then, at a later date you can restore this image and it will bring you back to the exact state that your system was in when you made the image. Combined with a few simple backup techniques you can have your system back up and running within 20 minutes.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/72513/backing-up-system-files-to-slave-drive/
Relevancy 63.21%

This morning I was using my pc with no problems on my slave drive. I went back to do something else and when I clicked on folder it kinda like froze and then didn't do anything.
I tried several times .... restarting the pc. A couple times it said I/O error. C drive files work just fine. I took the hard drive out of the pc and put into external case and tried but it did the same thing. So I sorta know that something is going awry with my hard drive.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

xpwannabe

A:slave drive files wont't open

Did you try a chkdsk on the drive and run the usual gamut of virus and spyware scans?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slave-drive-files-wontt-open.553772/
Relevancy 63.21%

I haven t really got a problem HDD booting second there. sys slave if that and files from Installing as drive are just wan t to make sure I ve done things right Now I have a pretty old pc P hz ram gig hdd gf ti and have installed a second hdd gig as a slave on the IDE connector Now my OS is win prof and that what was on my primary drive before I installed the second drive now I didnt bother to back any of the stuff on my my primary drive as I had figured as it is remaining the master I wouldn t need too Installation of second hdd had little or no hassle i had gone to setup bios and did autodetect on new IDE device which it did It requested bootdisk so in goes my prof boot disk I formatted Installing second HDD as slave and booting from that drive if sys files are there. and partitioned new drive as ntfs master was using a fat partion From there on I ened up Installing second HDD as slave and booting from that drive if sys files are there. reinstalling my os completely and even when it rebooted I had figured it would have booted from the original hdd but it seems to be booting from nd hdd as I had to reinstall everyong which wasn t too much of a problem as it was a matter of copying alot of them from one drive to the next Everything seems to working ok Would it be possible for me to delete sys files on primary as it is booting off secondary as far as I can determine nbsp

A:Installing second HDD as slave and booting from that drive if sys files are there.

Welcome to Techspot!
I am not sure why you reinstalled W2k on the Slave because you could have formatted the new drive from the w2k on the old drive.
However it does not matter, you can delete the original install on C:\ ,Win2k will operate in any partition as long as the MBR on the 1st active partition is intact.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-second-hdd-as-slave-and-booting-from-that-drive-if-sys-files-are-there.21127/
Relevancy 63.21%

Greetings

I just installed a second hard drive to my computer, which is running XP. I have a 40gb drive as the master and an 80gb as the slave. I am going to use the master for all my programs, and the slave for all my files that I will be saving.

When I installed XP, there were also files placed on my slave drive. These were identical files that are on my master (i.e. documents and settings, I386, wutemp, etc.). I deleted the files from my slave drive.

This morning I got a wutemp folder on my slave again. Can anyone tell me why this is happening???

Blake

Relevancy 62.78%

i recently swapped out a seagate 120 gig harddrive as my primary drive to a slave because i bought a 400 gig seagate harddrive. nevertheless i had a virus which disabled the 400 gig harddrive and now i am using another harddrive as my primary. the problem is that most of my word documents and pictures i can no longer access on the slave drive. i keep getting messages stating"Word can not open the document/ user does not have access priviledges. when i try to open the pictures, i get errors such as there was an error, or this is a read only file, the file is locked by another user, ect or no preview availalable. I know the file is there because it takes up space. why would this happen? i never restrict access on any of my files.

please help

thanks

A:i dont have access priveledges to files on slave drive

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP should do the trick. For XP-Home, you'll have to boot in safe mode to access the security tab.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-dont-have-access-priveledges-to-files-on-slave-drive.458920/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello everyone. I know there's probably been posts similar to mine, but I have not learned all I wanted from previous posts. Recently, my hard drive gave out on my XP computer. The issue seems to be that it will not be read as a master drive, but will run fine as a slave on my other XP computer. That being said, I can view the general program files, ect. on the drive when viewed with Explorer in my Computer, but cannot access my pictures and music and such. As mentioned in similar post, the same amount of usage is being reported, but not all of that data is viewable or present. How can I access my pictures and music? (I understand from other posts that it might have something to do with it being password protected if my previous computer installation of XP was password protected?)

A:Unable to view administrator files on slave drive

User Permissions

Its more down to user permissions, you dont have permission to access it, Personally i would take the hard drive and slip it in a computer with windows 7, then reset the permissions to whicherever user i want ( this is done by right clicking the drive/folder and changeing under the permissions tab)

God luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-view-administrator-files-on-slave-drive.171696/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a problem I cannot boot to my hard drive but I can get the hard drive to run as a slave drive in another computer Due to my files being password protected and due to not being able to access my files how can I access my slave drive to access those files I password protected When I attempt to view the contents of my slave drive s documents the folder shows it is empty yet I know for fact that I have documents stored there and I need to access them Now remember this slave drive came out of my other computer and was the main drive for it If I could get from drive? password files a do i protected how slave access it to boot then I d have access to these files by being able to log-in to my account FYI I ve attempted recovery console and also attempted windows repair on my main drive in hopes of getting it to boot again but no such luck So I am forced to use this main drive as a slave drive in hopes of being able to figure out a way to access my files since I cannot log-in to this slave drive to access my password protected files I think I am screwed and have lost these files forever I cannot inherit these files since I cannot access them I am using Windows XP Pro SP on both systems The slave drive is or rather was the master drive on a different computer nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

How easy is it for me to set up a second HD in my computer, so as to copy some files across from another?

IE: Once i've connected one as a slave & the other the master, how in dos do i get to see which drive is labelled what?
Is it so straight forward as to just connecting the second drive, turning on PC, going into dos & saying "copy these files to here"?

ANY help greatly appreciated please!

Thank you.

Bloodybloke.

Relevancy 62.35%

Guys I have laptop I gave to my nephew to use for a while for He's studying a basic computer course. I created add user account from it yet I do not test the drive D if it is readable, editable, or writeable, all the files I stored there. What I noticed was the Drive C of my personal files is fully isolated by password. So, my question is can I configure my Drive D too to view or read only my files for someone? I don't want to share to anyone because some files stored it contains terms and agreement.

A:Viewing Only the Files in Drive D Partition

One way to do it is though the sharing tab. Share the folder or drive. Then add your user name and give it full read write access. Then delete the all users so only you can access it. Anybody else trying to access it will be prompted for a password. You also may want to make your nephew's account a standard user and not an administrator.

File Sharing - "Share with" & "Stop Sharing" in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/39999-viewing-only-files-drive-d-partition.html
Relevancy 61.06%

HELP!

Here's what happened. I decide to have a fresh install of windows, so I backed everything up in my slave drive. After I install windows into the master drive, when reboot, window reconize my ntsf slave drive and started doing some cleaning, and I noticed that a bunch of line item deleting index and files. Didn't thought much of it at first, until I recognized some of the file as pictures, so I panic and shut off my computer. When I reboot, it started to do the same thing, scan my slave drive, but w/ "if you dont' want window to scan your drive, press any button now" which I did. I went into window explor to check my slave drive and behold, all my music, pictures, and some backup all gone!!!!

Anyone know what happened here? and how do I, or can I even recover my files?

Thanks!

A:Window Delete files off Slave drive automatically after clean OS installation

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/window-delete-files-off-slave-drive-automatically-after-clean-os-installation.612020/
Relevancy 60.63%

Can't view my BRAND NEW High Definition video clips which I've saved to an external hard drive easily. The saved files won't display as thumbnails (for easier sorting later) but display as an icon (in this case a VLC media file......... any suggestions would be appreciated!

Relevancy 58.91%

Can anybody talk me through installing a slave drive on my gateway gm5483e motherboard model 945gct-m3 made by elitegroup also known as ECS

A:windows Vista sata hard drive slave drive

plvness,

It should be as simple as installing a couple of cables. Hopefully you've got a nice flat cable either with the new slave drive, or a spare with the motherboard: it's normally red, but can be other colours, about 1cm wide and 1mm thick. That needs to be plugged in between the drive and one of your SATA slots on the motherboard. They'll normally be black, and unlike most, will have a slight 'L' shape to them. If you get a torch on your motherboard, you should see SATA1 or SATA2 written very close to them. If you've already got a SATA drive, then it should be easy to spot, so just use the second port.

When you start the machine up, go into the BIOS by pressing the appropriate key (it should come up with a screen just after displaying what graphics card you have / testing memory, telling you what key to press - normally F1, F2, F12, Esc or Del),

Then find your way to the 'Boot Order' section (sorry, not sure quite where it'll be for your chipset - but it'll be either on the first screen, or more likely a menu off of it), and make sure that it's still on your CD/Floppy/original drive first and hasn't swapped to your new SATA (it shouldn't have done, but some prefer a SATA drive by default to an IDE).

Any probs or questions, please come back. You'll do fine!

Rich.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-sata-hard-drive-slave-drive.756517/
Relevancy 56.76%

hi i need a little help.My friend left her hard drive with me as she was having alot of problems and wanted me to format all partitons and reinstall windows XP on her system.Problem is i may not be as computer illiterate as her but i come pretty close.Formatting the regular partiotions was not a problem but im a little confused when it comes to formatting the partition(in her case C:/) which has windows installed onto it.normally u enter set up and boot from CD and then format and reinstall.but in this case i have made her hard drive the slave .how should i go about formatting her hard d rive and reinstalling windows onto it without accidently doing it to my hard drive

A:reinstalling windows XP onto a slave drive

Well, you shouldn't install XP that way. You can install her drive as a slave and format it completely. You then remove your master, make hers the master, leave your drive out, and then install her copy of XP. Here is the problem with all that. Your hardware, like your motherboard, processor, video, and anything else you might have will be set up by XP and if it isn't her configuration, then XP will not boot, you will be forced to call Microsoft and give them the 42 digit number that will appear when you activate XP. In other words, you formatted the drive, you then should give it back to her so she can install it in her computer, and then boot from her WinXP CD and go through setup. That would be the legal way to do it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reinstalling-windows-xp-onto-a-slave-drive.104645/
Relevancy 56.76%

So I have two hard drives in my PC set up as storage drives,, they are getting full and neither boots anymore nor do I care to have them boot. Id like to delete windows 7 from them both but also keep my files that I have on them without having to transfer everything to a new drive.
Is there a way to "uninstall" Win 7??
or should I just delete all the files and folders that pertain to the o/s?
Hmmm did a couple searches but didn't find anything that helped.
Thanks!

A:Remove Windows 7 from Old HDD thats now a slave drive

The proper way to do it is to copy your files to the drive you`re booting with now or to an external. Then format the drive, then copy your data back.

But, you could put all your files into 1 folder then delete everything else.

Why do you say they are set up as storage but don`t boot anymore ?

How many instances of 7 do you have on this pc and why ?

Post a shot of disk management. Your boot files may be on 1 of these drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289635-remove-windows-7-old-hdd-thats-now-slave-drive.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have recently installed Windows 2000 on a new hard drive that I got. Finally, I have installed all my programs and the computer is working great. Recently, My friends computer crashed being unable to boot in to Windows, and needing to be re-formatted. I want to place his hard drive in my machine as a slave, and copy some files for him onto my drive, or else his files will all be lost. Windows 2k does not recognize the slave drive on start up, and I do not receive a drive letter for it. I set my friends drive to slave properly, and am sure that the connections are secure. Do you have any ideas, of how to get Win 2k to recognize the slave drive, Thanks,

Relevancy 56.76%

My friend was having problems with his computer and after awhile Windows wouldn't start up. On bootup there would be an error message saying something about Hard Drive not found.

So he bought a new internal hard drive and I installed it as the Primary Master, and i set up the old hard drive as the Primary Slave. Installed XP on the new hard drive. Both hard drives were detected in the Bios, but when windows loads, it only shows the C drive. Is there anything I can try to get the other drive detected? Hopefully its not completely fried since it is detected in the Bios.

Thanks.

Relevancy 56.76%

HELP! I am in desparate need of help! I just got a brad new computer and I backed my files up on my slave drive in my old computer to move over and transfer them to my new computer. I plugged it on to my new computer and I got the "This Disk is not formatted... Do You want to format it now?" window. I moved it back to my old computer and I got the same thing. I don't want to lose my files bc that's my whole life in that drive. WHAT CAN I DO?

- K

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-wont-read-my-slave-drive.231797/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have two hard drives one 40gb(IDE) and a 2tb(SATA).
I have my 32bit OS installed on the 40gig and all my data on my 2tb. Now I recently got more ram and now need to install 64bit.

My question is can I install the 64 bit on my 2tb and have a dual boot.

I'm installing Windows using a setup that I Downloaded that has a few tweeks added in so no disc to install from just a setup file.

A:Can I install Windows on my slave drive?

May I ask what has been added to Win7 you are using? Do you have a link so we can see?

How is this modded Win7 being activated?

Win7 is installed correctly from booted media. I would unplug the other HD during install.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/212805-can-i-install-windows-my-slave-drive.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I've installed a second hard drive to the machine. Windows sees the drive but won't allow me to assign a drive letter. Should have been a simple install and has taken more time to try to get a drive letter than placing the hardware. Anyone know how to fix this very frustrating problem? I have Windows 98, second edition as the operating system. Thank you!

A:Installing a slave drive on Windows 98

MickWick,

Did you partition and format the new drive in a FAT32 format?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-a-slave-drive-on-windows-98.68324/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have 2 HDD, 1 set as slave and another as master. There wouldn't be any problem with installing XP on the slave drive would there? Thanks for your help.

A:Install Windows XP on Slave drive

no. but to boot to it you would have to set the computer to boot off of the slave drive first in order to use XP on that drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/install-windows-xp-on-slave-drive.57921/
Relevancy 56.76%

Can I do that? I have windows XP right now and i was thinking about buying another hard drive, making it a slave, and installing windows 7 on the slave drive so that i can keep XP on the master drive and have a dual boot setup. Is there any problems i would encounter or does it sound ok? thanks.

A:Installing Windows 7 on a slave drive?

i would rather suggest you to set it on Cable Select mode instead of Master and Slave.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/26586-installing-windows-7-slave-drive.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I`ve installed a slave drive and a second dvd rewriter. Dvd rewriter is working fine but windows is not showing my slave drive when i click on my computer. It`s showing up in the bios and in device manager and says this device is working properly.
But why is it not recognised in windows?

A:windows not showing slave drive

Good Evening devil, have a read of Roys fix, I suspect Bob's remedy will see you right also.
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/466825-lost-half-hd-partitioning.html
Cheers, qldit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-not-showing-slave-drive.466915/
Relevancy 56.33%

I remember reading sometime ago it was possible to view a clickable list of all my Windows 7 files through Internet Explorer.

Just wondered how to do it and if it was a good idea?

A lot of my files are also on 2 connected External Drives F Drive and G Drive.

A:Viewing windows files in Internet explorer?

I suspect you mean view all files on a computer using Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.

Right click Computer and select Open. Expand the arrow in front of C.
Expand the arrow in front of Users.
If you click on your name (don't let the lock on your name scare you), you will see folders with your files in the right hand pane. Click on any of them to see what they contain.

For an external hard drive: be sure the drive is attached.
Click on computer and you should see the drives. Click on either drive to see the contents.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-windows-files-in-internet-explorer.1151658/
Relevancy 56.33%

Thanks in advance for any help you can give I have an HP Media Center M n that had a Western Digital SATA drive Part wd Upon initial bootup the system indicated there was an error with the HAL DLL file Rather than mess with the file I went out and bought a new hard drive and botted the system up with some recovery disks The system booted up fine and the OS is good Now I am trying to run the old Hard Drive as a Slave so that I can pull the old files Pictures videos text off of it I plugged the old SATA drive into the SATA drive on my motherboard and it is recognized in BIOS but once windows starts it does not recognize that the old drive is presents I have Hard Old Windows Drive Find Can't Slave as gone under quot Disk Management quot and even tried quot Add New Hardware quot and gotten no Windows Can't Find Old Hard Drive as Slave results You can tell that the drive is spinning so I do not think that there is a physical problem with the disk that is preventing it from being detected I am fairly competent in working with my PC but this is over my head quite frankly Was there a step that I missed I have a lot of pictures of my kids on here and it is going to kill me if I cannot retrieve them I have a backup DVD from months ago but I Windows Can't Find Old Hard Drive as Slave really don t want to lose the last months Thanks again for any help nbsp Windows Can't Find Old Hard Drive as Slave

A:Windows Can't Find Old Hard Drive as Slave

The OS is windows XP - thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-cant-find-old-hard-drive-as-slave.109825/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi all I have recently had a second hard drive a GB Seagate ATA to be specific installed into my home PC The primary hard drive is a GB Western Digital ATA hard drive I had a technician help me install the second hdd and not hard-drive recognised Windows XP! by Slave we made sure to configure all the jumper leads and settings ok etc In BIOS it recognizes the hard drives I have had Linux Slave hard-drive not recognised by Windows XP! installed onto the second hard drive so I know all the cables are set correctly The thing is when I boot into Windows XP I cannot see the secondary hdd when I open quot My Computer quot is there anyway I can quot see it quot and retrieve data When I boot into Linux I can see my primary hdd which is in NTFS and has WXP on it just fine I m not sure if the issue of not being able to see the second hdd whilst in WXP is because the second one is in a Linux format or not I suppose if it is the case and there is no way around it this thread will be easily answered nbsp

A:Slave hard-drive not recognised by Windows XP!

Windows is not going to "see" a linux file system. Windows supports ie can see fat16, fat32, and ntfs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slave-hard-drive-not-recognised-by-windows-xp.621588/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey There BleepingComputer Community I have laptops - a Gateway MA running Windows Vista Home Premium and a Sony Vaio VGN-NS E running Windows Pro which was upgraded from Windows My Gateway laptop all of a sudden stopped booting up so I went out and bought a SATA IDE to USB Adapter Boot Vista Slave Cannot Windows Up Drive to connect the Gateway hard drive as a slave drivonto Cannot Boot Up Windows Vista Slave Drive my Sony Vaio laptop so I could get all my data files off the drive I was able to do this successfully I m still having problems with the Gateway hard drive however In order to see if the Gateway hard drive was bad or if it was something else with the Gateway laptop I changed the boot order of my Sony Vaio laptop Cannot Boot Up Windows Vista Slave Drive to first boot from an external device i e the Gateway hard drive connected as a slave I restarted my computer and it booted well attempted to boot from the Gateway hard drive but after the Vista splash screen showed up the computer restarted this is the exact same thing that happened when the Gateway hard drive Cannot Boot Up Windows Vista Slave Drive was in the Gateway laptop After restart I received the option to either Start Windows Recovery Counsel recommended I don t know if those were the exact words but I m sure you understand what I m talking about or Start Windows Normally I chose to start the recovery counsel When I chose this option I received the BSOD with STOP x B code So I did a hard shut down on my laptop and attempted to reboot to the Gateway hard drive again The exact same thing mentioned above happened - it came to the Windows splash screen restarted and then gave me the options mentioned above The second time I chose to start windows normally but this caused my screen to go black with a white cursor blinking in the top left corner of my screen So after this I changed the boot order of my Sony laptop back to normal and ran Malwarebytes Antimalware of the slave drive and also chkdsk - all came up clean So here s what I need guidance with Is there any steps I m doing wrong to diagnose this hard drive Or are there additional steps I should be taking to diagnose the hard drive Is my Gateway hard drive shot If so how do I know I don t want to go out and buy another hard drive if I don t have to yes I know they re cheap The BSOD scares me I never received this when the Gateway hard drive was in the Gateway laptop at least I don t recall So this makes me wonder if the BSOD is causing my Sony laptop to BSOD rather than the Gateway hard drive does this make sense Based on my preliminary research on the BSOD STOP code I received this could be caused by a number of things but I know I didn t do any recent changes to my Gateway laptop If my hard drive isn t bad but the best option is to reformat the Gateway hard drive how do I go about installing a new OS on a slave drive Is this even possible I d appreciate any help and or advice Regards jlartch

A:Cannot Boot Up Windows Vista Slave Drive

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Each motherboard chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change the motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

If you have the installation disc you might be able to correct this by making a repair installation.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481604/cannot-boot-up-windows-vista-slave-drive/
Relevancy 56.33%

hi all
Doing a windows fresh reinstall on C:drive but need to leave E:drive which is my secondary drive intact.So I disconnected the power supply and IED cable from the slave drive and went to boot up and no boot,so went back and reconnected slave drive and booted up fine.It is not a mirrored drive it's just set up as a slave drive.
Windows is installed on C:drive but I guess it's looking for the E:drive when booting and can't see it.Boot is stopping just before windows logo.Thanks for any information on this Problem- Raner

A:windows xp will not boot with slave drive disconnected

Thought about it somemore and I think if I set bios to boot cd first and disconnet slave drive I think that will do the trick-Raner

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/266608/windows-xp-will-not-boot-with-slave-drive-disconnected/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey guys,

There was a setting that you could do which would allow you to view your Temporary Internet Folder like you would in XP, with everything in it, instead of being seperated into Content.IE5 folders.

I did it before...but I had to do a repair install....and now I can't remember how I changed that setting!

Could anybody help?

-----------------

I Solved it and forgot to post the solution lol sorry

Internet Options -> Security -> Uncheck 'Unable Protected Mode'

Enjoy

A:IE8 Windows 7 - viewing Temporary Internet Files Folder

Note: It didn't involve switching off UAC, which is a dangerous thing and it's not that irritating in Windows 7 anyway

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/54678-ie8-windows-7-viewing-temporary-internet-files-folder.html
Relevancy 55.9%

With Windows 8, if I copy files or folders from one disk to another, a window appears which shows the progress. This is very useful.

Windows 10 does not show this window. Is there a way to make it appear?

A:Viewing progress windows when copying files or folders

Originally Posted by machare

With Windows 8, if I copy files or folders from one disk to another, a window appears which shows the progress. This is very useful.

Windows 10 does not show this window. Is there a way to make it appear?

It seems to be a glitch in Build 11082, (if that's the Build you're running), no hint of a fix yet!

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/36222-viewing-progress-windows-when-copying-files-folders.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello everyone I haven't had any computer problems that i haven't solved myself until now I just cant fix it and i cant put up with it anymore its really annoying Here it goes anyway - Recently when i open folders on my C drive external hard drive and ipod hard drive that contain AVI and MP files it just crashes the explorer just crashes viewing help! Explorer keeps crashing on computer, please Windows AVI files :) when and i have to do Ctrl Alt amp Delete end task and then add new task to get explorer exe running again The message i get when i open folders that contain Windows Explorer keeps crashing when viewing AVI files on computer, please help! :) avi files is - quot Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close quot This happens all the time i cant browse my folders to view movies etc without my explorer crashing and all folders closing I have attached some pics to show you hope someone can help me solve this problem a few of my mates have this as well so i think its pretty common its not the odd occasion it happens its everytime I have run virus spyware malware programs and used CCleaner and registry programs et Thanks for listening Cheers Paul

A:Windows Explorer keeps crashing when viewing AVI files on computer, please help! :)

Looks like the problem might be with that codec XVID

Try installing this and see what happens:

K-Lite Codec Pack Standard 3.5.3
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...d/1094057842/2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-keeps-crashing-when-viewing-avi-files-on-computer-please-help-195587.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi guys Here is my tale of bewilderment - my computer was running fine last night when I switched off Now I switch on this morning and the computer freezes on windows startup - on the blue bar that moves accross windows preventing boot? hard Slave drive the screen when you see the windows splash image windows Slave hard drive preventing windows boot? k I m pretty sure nothing has changed between switching off last night and now I didn t update any drivers install anything etc etc The setup I have now has been running fine for the past month which is when I added this hard drive to my comp I m running Windows Seagate Barraccuda gb SATA HDD lots of other lovely components Any ideas as to where I should start trying to figure out what has happened would be appreciated I ran some stability checks to make sure the cpu motherboard are fine and it seems that they are since this is an overclocked computer it s easy to blame stuff on a CPU generating errors Thanks for any insight nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Okay little back story i had this gWD in this computer for years after many restores over about years guess and dealing with windows vista without ever actually updating to windows the hard drive be came out of my ability to get it to work I remembered I had a old laptop that I decited to open and 7 slave. drive showing, | unpartition windows | not Solved: hard thanks fry the mother board I was young I took out Solved: unpartition hard drive slave. not showing, thanks | windows 7 | the hard drive and installed windows SO MUCH BETTER but put a hole in my teenage pockets lol and have been using that hard drive for the computer with windows I got most the drivers and stuff its pretty settled thinking about making backups right about now So my motherboard Planning on upgrading after I sell my bmx bike anyone wanna buy only has SATA ports one in the hard drive g with and other to dvd I figured if I could using the old WD G as a quot slave drive quot would be more important diesarable I plugged it in Solved: unpartition hard drive slave. not showing, thanks | windows 7 | and attempted to get my music of of it before formatting or whatever I got like albums and then my pc froze and made a terrible skipping sound after about mins i turned the pc off and tryed again but this time when I opened Dthe WD g it would freeze so I put getting my music behind me and decided to run my windows cd with the dvd and old WD hooked up to format the drive without installing windows I think I did the wrong thing but clicking format and delete for everything so there were no partitions Im not sure if this is what caused the drive to not show up is that it is unpartition or it is sadly just the drive is dead thanks what do you think i should do Maybe this will help Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version Thanks TSG OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor AMD Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce SE nForce Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTek Computer INC Acacia MS C CR Antivirus None Planing on putting PandaCloud in anyone have experiences with it looks cool probably a bab way to chose AV EDIT so i checked and it dosent show up if i try to put windows on it nor in computermanagement- gt disk management its not the wires i tested nbsp

A:Solved: unpartition hard drive slave. not showing, thanks | windows 7 |

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-unpartition-hard-drive-slave-not-showing-thanks-windows-7.1013105/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello.

I used Regseeker *sigh* and now my slave drive is not detected. It does not show up in the device manager list. What may I have removed to cause this? I think Regseeker backed up the registry files I deleted. I tried to restore the files and received an error...

If any more details are needed let me know.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

A:Solved: cleaned registry and now windows can't detect slave drive

I finally got the backup files to work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cleaned-registry-and-now-windows-cant-detect-slave-drive.728022/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello everyone,
I recently experienced a problem with my XP program and was told that I would have to wipe my hard drive out and start out clean. Unfortunately, I have some recent vacation photos that I REALLY dont want to loose!
Somebody suggested I buy a new hard drive use it as my master drive and use my old drive as a slave. This way I could transfer all my photos to the new drive and burn them to disk
My question is mainly this: If my old drive couldnt boot up windows, will I be able to access it as a slave?

I am open to suggestions if there is another way to go about this. I do have a laptop, but I was told I cant just hok the two together and transfer data :knock:

Please help
Jason

A:Question about setting up a slave drive when windows wont boot.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Before you do anything, may i suggest that you take a look at the following thread first it may help you.

How to: Repair WindowsXP/2000 if you are unable to boot into Windows

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-setting-up-a-slave-drive-when-windows-wont-boot.19209/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello, I have been using Dual OS on my computer (Ubuntu x64, Windows 7 x64) and I can switch back and forth very easily, but is there a way to view my Ubuntu hard drive from Windows 7? I will provide specs if needed.

Sorry if this is not the correct section but this one seemed to fit best for my situation. Also please pardon me for my English, it is not my primary language.

A:Viewing an Ubuntu Hard Drive in Windows

See the details in the link below:

How To Browse Your Linux Partition from Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/282052-viewing-ubuntu-hard-drive-windows.html
Relevancy 54.61%

When we had small HDs Things like BitLocker was fine but they require to my knowledge encrypting the entire drive On the current multiple Terabyte drive that can take some Windows an on viewing R/W and USB Protect Drive againt time going both ways NEWSOFTWARES has a USB SECURE that when you can get access to it it works great but do not buy this software as the company is so paranoid about the Licenses you can not login half the time And once you buy it the drive you use on it seems to lock it so you can not upgrade to a larger drive AND it is expensive for more than Protect an USB Drive againt R/W and viewing on Windows one drive with all of its shortfalls Their Folder Lock works pretty good but it has to encrypt the entire folder and you have to copy move to a disk and that copy process is copy software sensitive I liked USB SECURE when it was not telling me it has expired wrong drive or not accept Protect an USB Drive againt R/W and viewing on Windows my valid license and support is of no help either Is this day and age of the big Terabyte drives one would think someone could come up with the idea of password protesting the entire drive without encrypting it in case the drives were stolen not erase properly etc Anyone know of such a product

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/383225-protect-usb-drive-againt-r-w-viewing-windows.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I am about to do this in a couple of days to help someone out so I would like someone to tell XP make up Home hard Windows slave-want drive Pro--hooking right?? to am I or Solved: sure me I have the right idea Here is what I am going to do Friend is buying a new computer with Solved: Windows XP Home or Pro--hooking up hard drive slave-want to make sure I am right?? XP Home or XP pro on it His old computer is Solved: Windows XP Home or Pro--hooking up hard drive slave-want to make sure I am right?? a windows I am going to take out the hard drive on the windows computer and then hook it up on the Windows xp home or pro as a second hard drive and Solved: Windows XP Home or Pro--hooking up hard drive slave-want to make sure I am right?? will hook it up as a slave Then can I drag and drop or cut and paste and files I want from the hard drive to the new xp hard drive and then when done un hook the slave drive and just use the new computer When I hook the slave drive up I turn off the xp computer hook up the hard drive to the ide cable as a slave then turn computer on and it should reconize the hard drive in my computer with a drive letter Am I right on all of this cause I do not want to ruin a new computer nbsp

A:Solved: Windows XP Home or Pro--hooking up hard drive slave-want to make sure I am right??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-home-or-pro-hooking-up-hard-drive-slave-want-to-make-sure-i-am-right.387850/
Relevancy 50.74%

Have just installed a new 8.7 Maxtor in a P100. This drive is set as master and partitioned into 5 which assigns drive letters c,d,e,f,g . If I re-install the old 500mb drive unit as a slave ( Quantum Maverick) it assigns itself as drive letter D. I want this drive to show up as drive H . If I go to Device manager, hard drives, double click on generic ide type 47, settings, for this drive the drive letter assignment is there, but I cannot change it. Any ideas please.

A:{SOLVED} Slave drive letter inserts itself within master partition drive letters

I don't think you can change it. Normally the bios will take the primary of the 1st ide drive as c, the primary of the second ide as d, the next partition of the primary ide drive as e, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-letter-inserts-itself-within-master-partition-drive-letters.32527/
Relevancy 50.74%

When installing a larger main drive, how do I get the drivers copied onto the slave before I take out the main one?

I wonder is there a simple way of doing this, I am using Windows XP home edition, the PC is an oldish one and isn't any specific make, so I can't get any clever programs from the manufacturers site, any idea?

Thanks

I had just had this recommended, I wonder is it a safe site, safe program?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/drvback/

Thanks

A:How do I make a copy of my drivers onto a slave drive, when upgrading hard drive?

Yes sourceforge is safe.

That is where I get many programs myself.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-make-a-copy-of-my-drivers-onto-a-slave-drive-when-upgrading-hard-drive.914067/
Relevancy 50.74%

Thank you for reading my tale of woe I recently had data Problems drive Outlook slave 2007 with & to new drive settings getting from some malware infections that I simply could not remove using a huge arsenal of AV scans amp removers so I got a new hard drive quot H quot and attached old one quot C quot as a slave After configuring quot H quot with new XP Pro OS Avira AV Comodo Firewall Problems with getting Outlook 2007 data & settings from slave drive to new drive I used my original Outlook CD to install it I got the basics done importing pst files but there are a whole lot of details that aren t moving to the new Outlook I have gone through the Problems with getting Outlook 2007 data & settings from slave drive to new drive Microsoft support pages which normally I find super helpful but this time I seem to be going in circles I am anxious to get the data off C so we can re-format it I hate having the infected drive around If anyone can provide any insights into any of the following obstacles I would be most appreciative -Install went apparently well but when I tried to install an Outlook add-on Calender Print Assistant from Microsoft download center I got a message that my copy of Outlook could not be validated quot Problem The validation process could not be completed because a copy of Microsoft Office on this computer has not been activated quot Following the Microsoft instructions led me in circles warning that my copy might be counterfeit I purchased it new from Amazon over a year ago All the Microsoft support pages tell me that I must use the Activation Wizard during installation to enter product key which I did and it was accepted Even the phone number to activate it over the phone is listed in the Wizard which told me the software was activated correctly so the phone number was not given -My imported data are in quot Contacts in Personal Settings quot and quot Calender in Personal Settings quot instead of quot Contacts quot and quot Calender quot I know I read somewhere last night how to fix this while I was trying to fix the missing data problem and I think Microsoft support said you cannot just drag and drop to rearrange the folders It seems the Emails are similarly disorganized Now I cannot find the support article again -Only about of my contacts seem to have imported I cannot tell what these contacts might have in common with one another -My settings for categories seem to be missing and the few categories that are showing up say quot Not in Master Category List quot I rely heavily on the color-coded categories to manage my large family s schedule so I really need to fix it even if I have to go through manually -I have gone into all the options customize settings and made changes that were available but there are some settings which would be very time-consuming to enter manually like email rules for sorting junk mail and forwarding -I run Windows Mobile on my cell phone and synchronize tasks contacts and calenders to Outlook not email I don t want to even install the cell phone software and synch it till Outlook is perfect so that I don t loose any data The Windows Mobile data is stripped and incomplete so I d rather not use it to restore the Outlook data -In an effort to get access to the missing data I tried to run Outlook program using Run dialog in the start menu choosing the Outlook program on the C slave drive but the data files it accessed and settings it used were the ones on the H new OS drive including excluding the missing data My family really relies on Outlook to manage our bill due dates school assignments specialist MD appointments email and contacts in addition to the emails for my hobby selling my handcrafts online Any help would be so appreciated nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-getting-outlook-2007-data-settings-from-slave-drive-to-new-drive.892927/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi, 

I've recently upgraded my windows 7 to windows 10 enterprise. I have onedrive account with files synced to cloud, before upgrading i've backed up onedrive files locally in my computer. Some of those files can't be opened after upgrade, formats include
.docx and .xlsx and .png. Most of these files were in direct onedrive main/root folder rather than in subfolders. As i can see those images in subfolders can be opened but not doc and excel files.

How can i view those files again, why have they become corrupt, what could I do in future to prevent these problems

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b92b5132-04a6-4dc3-8696-0e942efdf427/one-drive-files-after-being-restored-from-backed-up-files-in-upgraded-windows-giving-error-message?forum=itproxpsp
Relevancy 50.74%

hi guys. the external hard drive, here at work, cannot be detected by any of the computers. my thoughts are that the data was wiped clean. i've removed the hard drive from the case and installed it onto my computer as a slave drive. a) how can i view if these files still exist. and b) if they are missing, can you recommend a software recovery program?

Relevancy 50.31%

My laptop's system got corrupted Error quot Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt window system something like this quot Solution I have used I got my laptop's hard drive and start following Drive is - Slave could "Windows file not the because missing/corrupt" bought a Hard Drive Enclosure I connected it to my desktop and found the files Next Problem The files i Slave Drive - "Windows could not start because the following file is missing/corrupt" found seen to be fragment files in the form of name chk The chk files can have their extension be change But this method willl take a long time There are some programs out there that check what extensions this guys have - like filechk and unchk But i want to recover my files properly So i want to fix my system is it possible that i can fix my slave drive's system I already did saw a tutorial saying I shud make Slave Drive - "Windows could not start because the following file is missing/corrupt" my hidden files into unhidden I'm supposed to find the 'windows gt system gt windows and replace it but I failed because I couldn't find that folder

A:Slave Drive - "Windows could not start because the following file is missing/corrupt"

I'd like to know exactly what the error message you're seeing is.

From what I can tell, I doubt the .chk files are related, because .chk files have to do with the CHKDSK utility. When you run CHKDSK and it cleans the disk, it rewrites the damaged files with a .chk extension.

A lot of the time, when you have a "file is missing or corrupt" error, you can copy that file from a working PC onto a removable media like a flash drive or external hard drive. Then you can copy the file from the external to it's proper location on your PC. Also try opening a command prompt and typing the following command:

sfc /scannow

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/slave-drive-windows-could-not-start-because-the-following-file-is-missing-corrupt-568242.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I need to retrieve data from a SATA drive but can only achieve this if I can connect it as a slave drive to a machine with a master PATA drive. The motherboard will accept both devices. Is this possible? and if so how?

A:Master PATA drive Slave SATA drive-is it possible

Leave the pata as master, plug in the sata and reboot. OS will assign new drive letter to the sata and you should be able to see it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/master-pata-drive-slave-sata-drive-is-it-possible.518931/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have Windows XP installed as the master drive (hda) and Mandriva 10.2 Linux on the slave drive (hdb). I want to physically remove the WinXP hard drive from my computer and make Linux the only drive. I boot up the computer using LILO, which is installed on hda. So how do I do all of this without messing up the bootloader settings?

A:Changing Linux on Slave Drive to Master Drive

First, save the existing /etc/lilo.conf; cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.0901705.conf

Second, read manpage re mkbootdisk. you may need this to recover the as-is configuration

Third, I found it a lot safer to work out my LILO configuration using a floppy boot disk rather than my hard disk. To do this, you must replace the boot=/dev/hda with boot=/dev/fd0 in the lilo.conf file. That way, if I messed up any of the configuration in my lilo.conf file, I could take out the boot disk and boot into Linux as before. Once I was happy everything booted fine using the floppy disk, I then changed my lilo.conf back to use boot=/dev/hda and ran /sbin/lilo a final time to upload my changes.

man 8 lilo explains the program options
man 5 lilo.conf explains each line in the conf file

before you make changes, issue the following as documentation
...mount
later, this command will show /dev/hda? on / type ext2 (r/w)
when you're successful

Your existing LILO config should be at /etc/lilo.conf and will contain
items like:
boot = /dev/hdb? (first HD, some partition number suffix)
... bunch of stuff best left alone
image = ... whatever it says
.label = ... your lilo prompt at boot time
.root = ... /dev/hdb? (note it matches line 1)
other = /dev/hda1 (first HD, 1 partition)
.label = WinXP (the lilo prompt for XP)
.table = /dev/hda

delete the lines from OTHER to the bottom,
change hdb? to hda? (ie the same partition number, just different drive)
save the modification to disk

create the LILO floppy: try the -t option to see what it would do before doing it,
and use boot= /dev/fd0 until you're pleased with the result.

power down and move the 2hd to the end of the cable (cable select)
and set as master if needed. the first hd can be used later via /etc/fstab

insert the floppy and boot from it (you may need to change BIOS)

if all is well, you will see your full system running and the command mount
will verify the results.
Now you can change the boot= /dev/fd0 back to boot= /dev/hda?
and do the update for real.

booting from the HD should be safe and give you what you want.

ISSUE: /etc/fstab lines containing HDxy will need adjusting
If you have several MOUNTABLE devices, this table may interfer with your
results.
Until booting the HD works, rename this file with the 'mv' command.

Moving the cable connector will swap hda and hdb notations.
When you recable the original HD, you have two options:
use the space as DOS FAT or reformat as Linux ext{2,3}
If you reformat the original, then all hda entries can be deleted.
Any hdb entries in the saved fstab file need to become hda

Modifications to /etc/fstab can be utilized immediately via
login as root or the su command

The new hdb will need a mount-point, so cd /
mkdir /originalHD
and then you can mount eg 'mount /dev/hdb /originalHD'
Another typical location for mounts is /var/mnt/xxx

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-linux-on-slave-drive-to-master-drive.33328/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello all I m hoping you can help me A couple weeks ago my hp pavilion dv crashed again Last time this happened I was able recover drive drive crashed Sata to USB slave to recover to an old restore point wih my vista recovery disk and save my files but no luck this time I m a writer and I have a decent amount of writing that I ll lose if I can t recover my files Sata USB slave drive to recover crashed drive I have a sata USB cable that I m using to connect the drive to my old working pc windows xp When I hook it up I hear the drive powering up and the computer makes the USB detect sound but the drive never shows up in my computer How can I get my pc to detect the drive Is all lost thanks so much for any help I know more than average about computers but I m mostly a beginner so please explain in simple terms Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Sata USB slave drive to recover crashed drive

the noise you are hearing is a good sign, but maybe windows is assigning the drive a letter that is already in use? if you right click "my computer" and go to manage. then click on disk management, take a screen shot of that and attach it to a post on here..i might be able to help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-usb-slave-drive-to-recover-crashed-drive.1059869/
Relevancy 49.45%

Windows 7 OS with admin rights (group policy not installed)

Hello to the forum, I would apprechiate some help.

Q.
How to stop external hdd OS writing to a drive (without express permision or blocking totally) and controlling overal access.

Or needing the windows admin password to access the drive.

I understand group policy (gpedit.msc) does this but its not installed, which leaves doing something with permissions in the security tab
computer > properties > security >

Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/395208-drive-permissions-disable-access-viewing-drive-no-group-policy.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Windows 7 OS with admin rights (group policy not installed)

Hello to the forum, I would apprechiate some help.

Q.
How to stop external hdd OS writing to a drive (without express permision or blocking totally) and controlling overal access.

Or needing the windows admin password to access the drive.

I understand group policy (gpedit.msc) does this but its not installed, which leaves doing something with permissions in the security tab
computer > properties > security >

Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/395208-drive-permissions-disable-access-viewing-drive-no-group-policy.html
Relevancy 49.45%

My motherboard craped out on my dell 2400. It has a seagate HD that has an admin pw. I put it n2 my dell 3000, but had to put it as a slave becuase I guess the mb wont read it as a primary, idk y...Now I can see the drive, access it, but it wont let me access any of my admin files. How can I release the password, or is that the problem at all?

A:cant get n2 admin files on slave drv

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/422577/cant-get-n2-admin-files-on-slave-drv/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi Yesterday I tried to install Drive Master Slave Drive To Changing a new C drive because mine was running slow The idea was to install a new C drive without much on it and use my old C drive which was pretty full as a secondary slave Changing Master Drive To Slave Drive drive deleting Windows of it and just keeping my files I installed Windows on the new drive OK but when I started up with my old C drive attached as a slave drive I was told there was an error with it and it needed to run chkdsk I let it do that and it proceeded to delete almost all Changing Master Drive To Slave Drive my files from my old C drive I ve now restored from my backup which I made a week ago meaning I ve only lost a week s work so it s not too bad Does anyone know if it s possible to do what I was trying to do and if so how to go about it Thanks Joe

A:Changing Master Drive To Slave Drive

There is a reason why your old drive was running slow. Did you ever figure out why, or what was wrong with it? Perhaps the drive itself is going bad.Go to the manufacturer's website and download their disk utility to check the hard drive out: Fujitsu "FJDT" DOWNLOAD Works with fujitsu models only.
Hitachi / IBM - DFT "Drive Fitness Test" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
Maxtor "Powermax" DOWNLOAD Works with all manufacturers.
Samsung "hutil" DOWNLOAD Compatability unknown.
Seagate "Seatools" DOWNLOAD Works with Seagate drives only.
Toshiba - N/A There are no tools available for Toshiba, but you may be able to use IBM or Maxtor's.
Western Digital "Data Lifeguard" DOWNLOAD Works with WD drives only.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/49398/changing-master-drive-to-slave-drive/
Relevancy 49.02%

This is a long post but it is a VERY strange problem I have been having some major problems with the same PC This is my mom s computer and it has the same problem over and over and Here is the system setup MSI K N Delta Platinum MOBO AMD Athlon Gb PC RAM sticks Mbps on-board LAN GB Western Digital IDE ATA Primary Master NTFS GB WD IDE ATA drives Primary Slave amp Secondary Master NTFS x Lite-On IDE DVD -R RW Secondary Slave Linksys USB Wireless G network adapter used because the built-in NIC won slave won't Drive drive after boot was removed t work now Drive won't boot after slave drive was removed floppy Drive won't boot after slave drive was removed W -in- USB Media Reader LCD Monitor XP Professional with all updates Norton AV The original install did not have the GB drives they were added after the setup was complete The Gb drive is partitioned into Gb and Gb The Gb being the system drive and the other for storage I installed XP Pro then Norton AV Google month free version then ran updates for XP I then installed all the software that was needed open office GIMP MS Money etc Next the GB drives were installed and shared on the network I used these extra drives as backup for Office files and MS Money files Everything seemed to be working well I then needed to re-flash my Linksys router WRT G I installed an open source firmware for more control To flash the router I disconnected all cables from the router and ran a direct cable to my PC The flash worked great I then hooked the patch cables back up as the were before exactly as before all cables going to a Gigabit switch then an uplink from the switch to the router my PC would not get back on line I tried disabling the NIC re-installing it changing the IP addy etc I worked on this for hours After being disabled the NIC on the mobo was enabling itself on reboot It was also setting it s own IP addy to something unknown It turned out to be an ICANN DNS in Philly I think No matter what I did the IP address would not work and I couldn t get access to the net I don t remember if I could email as I used web-mail at that point I do believe that I could ping The strange thing is that this is the second time I have had this NIC issue It happened months before on this same PC and I thought it was a Virus trojan spyware because it was setting the IP addy to the same address all the time Fearing the worse here I backed up data on my PC and did a pass DoD level wipe on my HDD I re-installed everything the same as above and had the NIC issue AGAIN Not wanting to deal with this again I installed a Linksys USB Wireless G network adapter and was able to get net access I found another GB drive amp wanted to check its contents I disconnected all the HD s from my machine power and IDE cable hooked the new drive up as Pri Master and ran the OS that was on there This drive was an old XP Install from a few months ago I burned some files to DVD re-booted with a DBAN CD hard drive wiping utility and wiped the only installed HD which was the new HDD I then removed the CD and powered down I then removed the new HDD re-connected the HDD s all cables were place EXACTLY AS BEFORE powered back up The system hung It finally booted after sitting there for mins detecting the IDE HDD s After this initial delay all seemed ok I decided that I wanted to remove the GB drives and install the extra I backed up the s across the network and powered down I disconnected the IDE cable from the Primary Master HDD placed the DBAN CD in the DVD drive and wiped the two s I removed the drives and the DBAN CD I then connected the original which had the OS on it and tried to boot and the computer hung while looking for the IDE drives After an unknown period of time it came to a screen that said this DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER Now I am stuck trying to figure out what is wrong with this PC There are no words that come close to describing how angry I am I would like to restore the dist and pull some data off... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drive-wont-boot-after-slave-drive-was-removed.541564/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi! I have this hard drive, which was put in a pc that didn't work due to power supply failure. The OS is windows 7 ultimate (with password).
And I want to install this into a different pc (OS: windows xp) as a slave drive, I just need to take out the data from drive D and E.. How to set my hard drive as a slave drive in this pc which has different OS too? my hard drive is a SATA, and the PC does have SATA port..

Do I need to set the BIOS too? and How?

Help needed! Please include the steps, I'm a newbie.. Thank you!

A:How to set my hard drive as a slave drive in a different system?

This link might help you.

Configure-Master-and-Slave-in-BIOS-for-Two-Hard-Drive-Disk-in-a-Single-System

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/311659-how-set-my-hard-drive-slave-drive-different-system.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi! I need to reformat my computer and I have 2 seperate hard drives. If I reformat my C drive, will everything on my H drive still be safe? I had to reformat once before and went to the trouble of saving everything and backing it up to my other computers on my home network, only to find after the reformat that my entire H drive was totally intact. I don't want to *assume* that it will always be that way and then lose everything in a reformat. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

A:Reformat hard drive with XP and slave drive

yes, H will be safe

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reformat-hard-drive-with-xp-and-slave-drive-19409.html
Relevancy 49.02%

old pc: with the toggle set in 'slave' position & having a 40 pin connector (actually 39, with bottom center slot blanked on the connector cable/drive):

new pc:
- does it matter if another single channel connector has 40 pins or should there be the 39/with blanked out connector?

- does the toggle get moved to 'master' position, is it pulled altogether, or where does the toggle go on a new single channel setup (other drives are SATA) where it will be used as the only IDE for backup purposes only?

A:moving IDE slave drive to new pc backup drive

If there is nothing else on the IDE Cable but the hdd then the jumper should be set to master.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-ide-slave-drive-to-new-pc-backup-drive.773774/
Relevancy 49.02%

i installed a second hard drive and was wondering how to get my computer to save files by default to it rather than doing it manualy?

A:automaticaly save files to my second HDD (slave HDD)

Do you mean back-up?

What do you want to save?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/automaticaly-save-files-to-my-second-hdd-slave-hdd.897830/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello everyone I just joined here so if somehow access seem to my files... related) can't I (slave this is in the wrong section of the forums then I apologize With I can't seem to access my files... (slave related) that said onto my question Just recently my shoddy EMachines computer fried on me The PSU went out and then the motherboard as well I wasn t too irked as from what I ve heard HDD s usually don t get in with the mess so my data should be fine The computer was also a gift so it s not like I lost any money Anyway I took out my HDD and decided to see if I could slave it and check out my files in order to see if they were still there I don t know much about slave drives but I think I got the jist of it looking around in the computer So I hooked it up to my friend s computer plugged the ribbon into my HDD on the slave outlet and hooked up a power wire to it Booted up his comp got into Window s Explorer and lo and behold the computer recognizes it and I can even browse it sort of I can check out everything except for the stuff that was in my account s Documents and Settings folder I thought it was maybe because I had the folder as private before so maybe I overlooked a simple option to make it un-private Couldn t find such an option It s odd because I can open and view all kinds of other stuff example the sample pictures that are in the default Shared folder But clicking on my folder gets me an access denied message and that s it So is there any way to view these files in the current set-up or am I stuck transfering it all to another drive when I get around to buying a new computer Sorry if this post is too long and thanks to anyone who can help Oh yeah further searching of the HDD found some little white plastic thing that was on the outlet for the HDD with some designations under it I figured switching the thing to slave might help but nothing nbsp

A:I can't seem to access my files... (slave related)

You have to take ownership of it,HERE

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-seem-to-access-my-files-slave-related.74227/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello I am having trouble accessing my storage hard drive after a Windows XP "see" not XP slave drive Pro does Windows FAT-32 Pro install The oGB c Windows XP Pro does not "see" FAT-32 slave drive drive with Windows XP Pro works fine but the GB slave hard drive I have on this system which Windows XP Pro does not "see" FAT-32 slave drive has partitions does not work at all it was working perfectly with Windows but Windows XP Pro does not "see" FAT-32 slave drive the new WinXP will not let me access the slave drive data both the master and slave drives are formatted in FAT format When I click on the slave drive I get quot The disk in drive f is not formatted quot the other drive partition letters are not indicated at all WinXP indicates that both HDs are quot active quot and quot healty quot but when I looked at it the storage drive indicated that it was FAT which is not correct it's FAT Win XP sees it as quot RAW quot How do I get this slave drive working again Can I assign new drive letters without destroying my data The new XP works great other than this problem HELP AH

A:Windows XP Pro does not "see" FAT-32 slave drive

Do you have any system info? cpu mobo etc.

Rod

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-pro-does-not-see-fat-32-slave-drive-122285.html
Relevancy 48.59%

hello everyone

I'm trying to arrange my files (songs) in one of my folders by "Modified"

but I can't find that option, I only have options like duration, track number etc...

Maybe you can tell me how can I still change the order of the songs to be arranged by "modified"

thanks!

A:viewing my files

Hi Graeak,

whilst in the folder which contains the files click View -> Choose details and then check the 'Date Modified' box then click Apply/Ok.

Hope that helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/viewing-my-files-141069.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have vista 64 bit, Recently when inserting a dvd disc with a movie in dvd format and trying to view the contents via Windows Explorer I get a dialogue box opens asking me if I want to prepare the dvd disc for formatting. I can't view the contents in windows Explorer. It plays as per normal in Windows Media player and the dvd under my tv. It's not a rewriteable disc.
I know there can't be any formatting done on the disc cos it already write protected when the movie was burned to it. The movies on the disc were originally AVI's which I converted to dvd using Convert X.

If I put a dvd into the drive containg various files I can read them as normal, Anyone know what is causing the above problem ?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/85908-viewing-dvd-files.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi ya ll are going to think I m an idiot For some reason my ie sheesh if I could find it I think I d go back to ie won t view bmp graphic files on the net Most times these graphics bmp Viewing files aren Viewing bmp files t necessary but it does help the web page look nice I know somewhere there is a place where I could look up to see what graphic types are supported Up until the day before yesterday I had ALL graphic styles supported but for some reason I can t see bmp files I ve been doing a view source look at the web pages with the missing graphics and they re all bmp files What can I do I m presently running IE maybe will go back to Win XP Home thinking that I ll go back to nothing but problems with xp I m thinking High Speed Cable AMD Athlon XP mg ram Hey I just saved on of my graphics as a bmp in Paint shop pro and I could view it so I know that the graphics are working it appears that my problem is only on the net I m sorry to be a bother but this is getting frustrating Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

Please bare with me, I am not sure the title is correct but here is what I would like to find the answer to, When I go to My Computer, initially every thing is viewed in "list", If I open up a folder sometimes it is in "icon" and others it comes up in "thumbnail", "tile" or "filmstrip". Is there someway to change some kind of setting where no matter what I open it will be in "list"

Thank you

Cindy

A:Help viewing files

When you get the view you like open my computer
then click on tools at the top (between favorites and help)
click folder optons
click on the view tab
click on the apply to all button
and then close the menu.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/264428/help-viewing-files/
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm trying to help a friend (remotely), so apologies if I do not have all the details yet.

She has used Sony's PMB to download video .MTS files onto a laptop running Vista Home Premium. The files are listed under Explorer, but marked with an 'X' and will NOT open - yet they do on another PC rwhich she has running XP!.

I have tried to replicate the problem on a laptop here with Vista Home Premium. Vista tries to open the files with Windows Media Player, but this comes up with a missing 8080 codec error. Media Player will not download one automatically from the web. I found and downloaded a Microsoft Camera Codecs update which is supposed to cover MTS, but even after installing that it does not appears listed in Help About for Media Player,and the file will not open,

Any ideas as to where to start looking for a 'fix' please?

Relevancy 48.59%

Maybe I have not poked around enough, is there a way to view files like XP' Exploer?

A:Viewing Files

Not sure what you mean, Phil.

Explorer view is always an option for viewing files, if that's what you mean.

http://www.pcsnippets.com/tutorials/how-to-change-the-windows-explorer-view-in-windows-7/7

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496829/viewing-files/
Relevancy 48.59%

hi, can someone confirm that the nly way to view a *.nef file is to have Photoshop CS and some plugin? Also what are nef files, are they actual pictures taken on a Nikon camera?

Cheers

Relevancy 48.59%

Whenever I open a pdf document while I am online, my computer hangs. Any suggestions? I am running WinME with IE 6.0 and Adobe 6.0.

A:viewing pdf files in IE

Uninstall and reinstall Adobe 6.0

Thats what IE uses to open PDF's

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-pdf-files-in-ie.278735/
Relevancy 48.59%

I am not to savvy on Mac's, and need a little information.
My daughter does digital imaging in school on a Mac.
So this is the question.
She can not view files on her laptop(Windows XP Home) she saves on her flash drive after working in the computer lab (Mac's).
I was wondering if I format her laptop in FAT32 format then she could transfer them for I am under the impression that Mac's file format is FAT.
Anyone shed some light on this for me.
Or should I just sell her laptop and purchase her a Mac.
Thanks

A:Viewing Mac Files

She can download this codec and she will be fine! http://www.3ivx.com/download/index.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1462/viewing-mac-files/
Relevancy 48.59%

I just created this letterhead in CorelDraw 7. when I take it to another PC it wont open it because I dont have CD7 installed. But if I save it as a WMF file it will let me view it in the little box to the left of windows explorer, but I cant open it. It asks me to pick the program I want to use, But I dont know what program will open it. What do I need to open this WMF file? Can I convert the CD7 file (CDR) to Word?
Please Help.
Thanks

A:Viewing WMF files

Well, in Word or other Office app, you can:

Insert-Picture-From File

You may decide to save it as a gif or jpg in Corel7

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-wmf-files.54657/
Relevancy 48.59%

I was uploading some important pics to pc to backup, but in the process the sd card became corrupt. So i bought some software that located the corrupt files and put them on my hard drive but now they are tif files I dont know how to recover them now (by the way I have vista)

A:viewing tif files

If they didn't go through some conversion process, try just changing the file endings back to original.

Or try InfanView if they really are tif's.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-tif-files.706933/
Relevancy 48.16%

i removed a hard disk from my old pc,as the processor had blown,and i have windows xp pro installed,the user account i used was passworded,so when i try to access my files on the slave h/d is doesnt allow me to open the folder or access these files.....i need help......as i must get to these files,i tried using the hard drive as my master it dosent allow me to use it as the master h/d is anyway to remove this protection as i need these files!

any help appreciated

thanks

A:Can't Move Files From Slave Hard Disk

Well, you have this option, on the system you are using right now, after shut down, disconnect the hard drive (from the working system, just unplug power and data cables) change your old hard drive jumpers to Master and connect the cables you disconnected to your old drive (you can just sit the drive on something instead of installing it in the bay) and follow:

How to: Repair Windows XP/2000 if you are unable to boot into Windows .

After you do the recovery, back up your data, disconnect the old hard drive; re connect the other drive back up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-move-files-from-slave-hard-disk.37180/
Relevancy 48.16%

Ok Here's EXACTLY what happened.

Computer WAS set up with 2 drives.

10 GB Music Storage Slave

40 GB Windows Install Master.

Blew Up The Motherboard...................Replaced it......

Installed a NEW 15GB drive as the Master Windows Install Drive.

Assigned the 10GB Music Storage Slave as a Slave.

Assigned the 40GB Drive as a Slave.
My 10GB drive shows all my files- easy to access and I can listen to all my music just fine.

My 40GB drive shows 38.7 GB Used. As it should. BUT I can't access ANY of the files that were in My Documents OR My Desktop.

I went and searched the 40GB drive for ALL pictures. Only files associated with windows and installed programs showed up. None of my ZILLION pictures that WERE on that drive show up.

How do I get to these files that are seemingly there but don't show up?

(Oh yeah, I went from XP Pro to XP...)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disapearing-files-on-newly-assigned-slave.553413/
Relevancy 48.16%

i am using windows xp but i had another hard drive that had xp on it drive slave too it was a good hard drive but xp was slave drive taking up room on it so i went to it slave drive like you do with like a flash drive and i clicked format and it eraced every thing and when i restarted my computer it said that it did not work or it did not have the right software on it to work right and it said something like press any butten to boot without the slave slave drive drive and i did but when i went to try to put things on the slave drive it did not show up so i tried to unplug my hard drive and just leave the slave drive in and tried to put the windows xp cd in and reinstall xp but it did not let me boot from the cd so is there any thing i can do to get my compleatly blank hard drive to work again PLEAS HELP

A:slave drive

Duplicate question:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f19/...ve-331618.html

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/slave-drive-331619.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I re installed xp on my computor and it was a clean install. now i cannot access my slave back up and it has info i need IE my back up. the computor says it is unallocated.. help'

Joey

A:Cannot see my slave drive

Raw: The volume filesystem type information is unavailable
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/unformat-tutorial.htm

Just follow the guide
I feel you have removed the Partion, inadvertently, on the slave Drive

In future, physically unplug any other drives, before doing major work (Partion/Format/Windows Setup) on another Drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-see-my-slave-drive.112479/
Relevancy 48.16%

I am trying to install an old hard drive from an old computer we had to our new computer so I can retreive all of our drive slave pictures The old computer cd drives wont read or write disks now so I cant burn them on a data disk and I slave drive tried using a flash drive to copy them slave drive to but the computer wont recognize that without a driver and it doesnt come with a driver it works fine on my new computer so I guess the old one is just to quot old quot lol OK new computer is a HP Pavilion AMD Athlon Processor GHz MB RAM running Windows XP Home Edition version with service pack Old computer is a compaq presario intel pentium III processor running windows thats about all I know The old computer hard drive doesnt have a diagram on the back with slave master cable etc its has a diagram and says jumper J Master Single On Slave Off Can all drives be made slave or some not I have moved the jumper plastic thingy to all possible spots and everytime I start the computer back up and go to my computer the drive is not showing up Is there something else I am suppose to do I removed the cd drive cable so I could use that port not sure of the technical name for the cord or the place you plug it in but I know where and what they are because I heard it would be quicker to transfer files if I disconnected the cd drive So its plugged in snug and as I said I tried the jumper in all spots which look like this there is one place with only a top wire and no bottom so I though maybe that was it but nadda If I need to supply more info on something let me know THANKS nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

Hello

I recently took an old hard drive from work to supplement my rather meagre hard drive at home. About the same time, I upgraded to a new motherboard and processor.

Now, everything seems OK, except my slave drive is not showing up in My Computer and My Documents.

BIOS detected the drive OK. It shows up when I go to system on Control Panel but, it gets it's name wrong. Instead of saying 'Quantum Prodrive' it says 'Quajtqm'. My other drive shows up OK as a 'Quantum lps540a'.

Also, and I don't know if this is connected, but I'm showing 2 direct memory access controllers. I've tried deleting the one with the error message (it complains that the other one is using the resources) but my PC keeps insisting on installing another!

Where did it all go wrong?!

Relevancy 48.16%

ok I m panicked Slave PRI please!?!??!?! help Drive I have an old Gateway computer and although I don t know much about the inner working of the computer I tried to add more RAM I had instructions that seemed easy enough I found the old RAM disks PRI Slave Drive help please!?!??!?! and removed them then got chicken and put them back in to be sure I had the right spot I closed the quot tower quot up re-connected all cords and tried starting is up again I would get the Gateway picture and then it would just sit there Then I get an error saying that a drive was missing I tried again Next I hit tab it said to hit TAB for messages and it said quot PRI Slave Drive Incompatible quot After that when I tried to turn the PC back on I got nothing but a black screen with a blinking white cursor and the computer would not shut off w o un-plugging it Please help but try to simplify I DON T KNOW WHAT I DID Thanks nbsp

A:PRI Slave Drive help please!?!??!?!

Reopen the case and check that the primary data cable is correctly and securely connected to your slave drive. Also check for any bent pins on the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pri-slave-drive-help-please.289925/
Relevancy 48.16%

Can I plug my compaq "quantum" hard drive into my new Dell "XP" on the middle clip of ribbon. A scribble labeled "auto" I hope means it doesn't need a jumper to designate itself as "slave." ???? Then I understand from reading I find a new power lead and plug it into old drive, then possibly follow directions in "disk management" segment to create "partition?" I simply want to be able to edit and print old files written in ancient "works" windows 95. Real dumb about this stuff, guy. Please help.

A:Slave drive

Last time I worked on a DELL, they are configuring their hard drives as CABLE SELECT. Which means you should be able to take that slave drive and boot it up and the DELL BIOS should find it ok, pluggin it into the middle connector on the same IDE channel. "grey color"

You do not create a parition. If the drive already has data on it, then a parition was created long ago. Lucky for you, Windows XP can read a FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS partition.

So when you get into Windows, your drive will appear as the next drive letter providing the DELL BIOS auto detected the slave drive in cable select mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slave-drive.222798/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all,

I just bought a new hard drive + Win 7, installed Win 7, and have now attached another drive that would not boot properly (has winxp OS on it)

Windows 7 doesn't seem to be able to 'see' the slave drive, is there anything else I need to do to let Win 7 see the slave drive?

Regards
Melt

A:Win 7 - Can't see slave drive

Welcome Meltdown

What kind of HD's IDE, SATA, etc.

Does it show up it the Bios boot up screen ?

Other hardware specs would help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/80513-win-7-cant-see-slave-drive.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hey,
i have just installed xp home onto my other computer, all is going well except i cant get windows to pick up on my second 80gig hdd "my master hdd is also a 80gig". The system recoginises it is there, while loading up before windows. but windows wont see it. i have tried swapping them around with diff jumper settings with no success.
any help would be awsome cheers. mk

Relevancy 48.16%

I formatted my C drive, and now windows don't see my slave drive, on boot up its there and also in the bios. can someone please help to have my windows see it, OS in win 98

A:slave drive

OK, if it;s OK in BIOS try booting with a DOS disk and see if you can see it there. If so it's definitely a windows issue.

have a look and see if the device is listed in device manager. If so are there any worningd/conflicts on it?

Is the slave drive formatted etc ok?

let us know what you find.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slave-drive.85931/