Windows Support Forum

Solved: renaming extended partition drive letter to another letter...plz help

Q: Solved: renaming extended partition drive letter to another letter...plz help

I want to rename drive E (10gigs) to lets say drive S...is it as simple as right clicking and renaming the drive in most cases right?. This is a one owner non networked home pc. (windows xp)

thks

T

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Solved: renaming extended partition drive letter to another letter...plz help

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Solved: renaming extended partition drive letter to another letter...plz help

Right click on My Computer . . select Manage . . then Disk Management . .

In Disk Management, right click on the Drive an select change letter assignment . .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-renaming-extended-partition-drive-letter-to-another-letter-plz-help.349348/
Relevancy 87.42%

Hi, I'm not sure if the title sounds about right but I have Windows Vista Ultimate with 3 hard disk drives, C, D and E. The D:\ drive is about 55GB and E:\ is 300GB. I'd like to change my E:\ to D:\ and vice versa.

I went to right click on the Computer icon, clicked on "Manage" and went to Storage and then Disk Management...

Here's the screenshot:

I can't seem to rename the D to E as the pagefile is there.. Now, I'm not really an expert on this and if someone could shed some light on how to rename the drive, I'd appreciate it so much!!

Thanks so much in advance!

A:Solved: Help On Renaming Hard Disk Drive Letter

This ones rather easy. Move your page file to the C: drive. (Control Panel, Performance Information and Tools, Advanced Tools, Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.)

Under Advanced, click on Change.... Click on the C drive and make it System managed size. Click Set. Make sure all the other drives are set to None. After you OK your way out, you may have to reboot.

Now, you can change your drive letters. You can also go back and reset the pagefile. Note, by the way, that changing your drive letters, could cause some programs that look for the drive letters (including anything installed on the drives) to fail.

Courtney sends....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-on-renaming-hard-disk-drive-letter.567556/
Relevancy 82.46%

Hi all hope this is in the right place I have a laptop with Windows installed on a GB SSD labelled C and a currently empty TB HDD labelled D Essentially I would like to swap the labels around so the SSD with the OS is the D drive and the HDD is the C drive The HDD needs to be labelled as C for work purposes - we share a lot of linked files so need consistency there I have two questions How do I rename the C drive Using C Letter Drive Renaming the quot Disk Management quot tool I can freely rename the HDD but because the C drive is in use I am unable to make changes The exact error given is quot The parameter is incorrect quot Will renaming the C drive to D cause problems with the OS booting I'm Renaming C Drive Letter relatively OK with other programs having issues as that can be fixed and I've installed very few at present If you have any other solutions that don't involve renaming the drives that would also be much appreciated Thanks in advance

A:Renaming C Drive Letter

Back in XP days you could install the OS on a partition other than C:. But with Vista and later the OS has to be C:

Is the HD a USB external? The only way I could see to do it without taking the SSD out would be to restore an image of the OS onto the external and boot it as C: then install the work programs. To run the programs you would first have to boot the Laptop from USB instead of the SSD.

Also I am not sure if you can do that without any licensing problems. It may be easier to pick up a used W7 machine with a large HD and just install your programs on it.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/71842-renaming-c-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 111.37%

Hey TSF, i'm a student, and I recently bought a 500gb External Hard Drive for use with school. I also bought a PS3 and would like to add my music and movies to that. I researched about the PS3, and learnt I needed to convert the hard drive type (not sure how to describe it) to FAT32. I decided to create a partition, so the whole thing wouldnt be converted to FAT32. But after something I did (I've used Swissknife, but it didnt work, maybe thats something to do with it), one of my partitions that was previsously unallocated space turned into a primary partition. However, it wasnt labelled as healthy or as a primary partition (im just presuming it is because of the blue on the Disk Management window), and also with no drive label.

Help?

A:[SOLVED] Partition has no drive letter.

Sorry, here is a screenshot.

Im not bothered if I have to format it, as I dont have any data to lose on the HDD :)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-partition-has-no-drive-letter-604073.html
Relevancy 110.08%

Well I have this problem My XP OS wasn t starting so I had to reinstall it in order to fix it Well that is where the problem start Partition Letter Drive Solved: XP Problems I had Dualboot with Vista and XP Now I fixed the boot so now I can choose wich one start but when I start XP the XP Partition Letter doesn t change to C Its stays in E and before the reinstall Solved: XP Partition Drive Letter Problems it used to change to C I tried to do again the boot stuff with Easy BCD Solved: XP Partition Drive Letter Problems and I did I deleted the XP entry and did it all over again but when I booted on XP the letter wasnt changing Now I cant install anything because XP doesn t seem to know thats its installed on E so its try to search stuff on C where now is Vista Partition I hope you guys can help me If not I would have Solved: XP Partition Drive Letter Problems to format XP partition I have no problems with it but I just want to make it like the last choice Thx nbsp

Relevancy 109.65%

I have got HD 40 GB, I have partitioned it to many partitions some of them NTFS and other Fat32.

I installed XP and 2003, each one on a different partition (not same partition).

Letter for partition is changed to D for Win2003, and F for XP.

I tried to changed (Right Click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management ) the partition letter for XP (From F->E) while I was logging to Win2003 , I could not.

I tried to changed (Right Click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management ) the partition letter for 2003 (From D->C) while I was logging to XP , I could not.

Message that I received:

“Can not modify the drive letter of your system or boot volume”

Can I change the partition letter ? How ?

A:Change partition letter to the default letter

No, you can't change the drive letter of a Windows installation after it's installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-partition-letter-to-the-default-letter.428634/
Relevancy 109.65%

I have a dual Raid 1 configuration with (2) identical 500GB (C and 1TB (D drives. When connecting my (2) external hard drives, one of which needs to be named (F (I have numerous files, folders, icons and programs linked to it), I see that (E and (F are the only two drive letters unavailable for use - presumably because they have been allocated as the invisible/dynamic? drives for (C and (D, respectively. How do I know which one's RAID Mirror is? And can I just rename that drive so the letter becomes available without interrupting/changing/affecting the RAID configuration? Thanks in advance for anyone that can offer insight.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/64884-renaming-drives-raid-1-configuration-necessary-drive-letter-shows.html
Relevancy 109.22%

A mate of mine bought an old dell at a car boot sale for €20 it had 20 gig pata running xp so i had an 80 gig ide which i said he could have
Anyhow i connected 80 gig up as slave on primary controller and installed xp pro on it for him
After installation i removed the 20 gig and put 80 gig on master on primary,i dont know why i didnt do this at start,but damage was done
I am getting quick message saying invalid bootini but then machine continues to boot with no problems after that
The issue i now have is the system partition is assigned drive letter D instead of C
How can i change os partition to C

Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Change drive letter on system partition

Remove all drives except the System Drive (previous D:) which is on the Primary Master controller with the jumper pins set to Master, and restart the computer. The System drive will now be C: Now shut down the computer and add the 20 Gb drive on either the Secondary Master controller with the jumper pin set to Master or with the jumper set to Slave as a Slave Drive on the primary chain, on restart it should be the D: drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-change-drive-letter-on-system-partition-632580.html
Relevancy 107.93%

I am trying to help a friend I built a desktop computer for him Dec W Home Premium SP HDD haD a single partition C onto which I installed W using a legitimate commercial W DVD W was activated Updates were downloaded amp installed using W 's automatic update feature HDD is SATA TB The HDD system letter boot drive W7 [SOLVED] changed won't partition is seen by the BIOS within the [SOLVED] W7 system partition drive letter changed won't boot BIOS and from the boot menu Aug the computer worked properly shut down normally The next time he turned the PC on Aug the boot process proceeded through the Windows splash screen NO login screen appeared Spontaneous reboot W 's automatic repair screen appeared advising that W could not [SOLVED] W7 system partition drive letter changed won't boot be repaired Things I have tried System Restore point tried twice restore point for Aug notes Windows Update System Restore advised that it looked at the D drive for restore points None found Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt C dir no files nor folders D dir files amp folders are present X bootrec scanos NO [SOLVED] W7 system partition drive letter changed won't boot Windows Installations found X bootrec fixmbr X bootrec fixboot X bootrec rebuildbcd Reboot Same problem Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt X bootrec scanos NO Windows Installations found Reboot No Joy Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt c bootrec fixmbr c bootrec fixboot c bootrec rebuildbcd Reboot Same problem Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt X bootrec scanos NO Windows Installations found Reboot No Joy Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt d bootrec fixmbr d bootrec fixboot d bootrec rebuildbcd Reboot No Joy Rebooted to W repair tool Command prompt d bootrec fixmbr d bootrec fixboot d bootsec exe nt all force After each instance of using bootrec and bootsec exe I have been informed that the operation completed successfully After each attempt at repairing W the computer boots beyond the W splash screen but the W login screen does not appear I also tried quot Last known good configuration quot Booted to optical drive with UBCD Win CD which I had made probably before W was released The HDD was not present in Computer My Computer If this can be fixed without a re-format re-install please tell me how If the fix requires a re-format re-install which tool can I use to copy my friend's data to an external drive I read about the Paragon Recovery CD but I have never used it Thanks for your attention to this problem wc

A:[SOLVED] W7 system partition drive letter changed won't boot

Hi, boot to the RE (repair your computer) at the x:\sources prompt type:-

bcdedit (press enter) this will reveal the boot manager and the boot loader that your OS uses to boot. Note down the entries, next type:-

bcdedit | find "osdevice" (press enter) this tells us what drive letter the RE has assigned the OS, not always C:

It will be this drive letter that you will need to use to repair the boot .

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-w7-system-partition-drive-letter-changed-wont-boot-662056.html
Relevancy 107.5%

Have just installed a new 8.7 Maxtor in a P100. This drive is set as master and partitioned into 5 which assigns drive letters c,d,e,f,g . If I re-install the old 500mb drive unit as a slave ( Quantum Maverick) it assigns itself as drive letter D. I want this drive to show up as drive H . If I go to Device manager, hard drives, double click on generic ide type 47, settings, for this drive the drive letter assignment is there, but I cannot change it. Any ideas please.

A:{SOLVED} Slave drive letter inserts itself within master partition drive letters

I don't think you can change it. Normally the bios will take the primary of the 1st ide drive as c, the primary of the second ide as d, the next partition of the primary ide drive as e, etc.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-letter-inserts-itself-within-master-partition-drive-letters.32527/
Relevancy 105.35%

Want to Assign a drive letter to a partitioned device but the letter is not in the list

I created a partitioned drive I went to assign letter G but I don't see it in the list. no drive is using the letter G I do believe that some USB is using letter G, but I don't see my USBs ( see image)

What can I do?

Thanks
CE

A:Want to Assign a drive letter to a partitioned device but the letter i

Do you have any USB storage devices like a card reader hooked up? Those would take up extra drive letters but not show up in Explorer until you put some media in.

I also notice you have disk drives C: and F: and a DVD drive on D: which makes me wonder where E: is...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192372-want-assign-drive-letter-partitioned-device-but-letter-i.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Hello

I had to open my pc and remove drives. Once re-installed, one of the drive has seen it's letter allocation modified. Since 2 application is pointing to G drive, I would like to be able to get it back.

Hard disk (2) Was G: Now, show has a D:
CD drive was D: Now show has E:

G: appear had a "movable" drive

What can I do to replace all drive letter allocation has it use to be

Any info appreciated

Martin

A:modifying drive letter: Letter to choose not in the list

To find out why the preferred letter is not available. Type disk management in the search bar on the start menu and select "create and format hard disk partitions". Look to see if the letter you want to use is already in use. If it is you will have to change it first.

This link might be helpful.
How to change drive letters--even when the letter you want isn't available | PCWorld

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/363437-modifying-drive-letter-letter-choose-not-list.html
Relevancy 105.35%

I lost my Event Viewer, and had to do a repair installation to fix it. Unfortunately, during the repair install, Windows decided to rename my second HD as the D: drive... it was K: before that. Now I cannot access any of my docs, pictures, music, or videos through the normal means... they don't show up in libraries or explorer, and apps like Restorator and Sure Thing (CD labeler) cannot find them. I think that means the paths are broken..?

It won't allow me to rename the HD back into K: (it's not listed as available). I can access the data by clicking Computer > D, and I can see the data is there, but its unusable as of now. Any ideas?

A:Can't change hard drive letter to needed letter

Hello Stevie,

To be safe, you should create a restore point before doing this in case you make a mistake and need to use it to do a system restore.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

1. If the K letter is not being used by another internal drive, then you can open regedit and navigate to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
2. In the left pane, Take ownership (step 2 in Option Two of METHOD TWO) of the registry key MountedDevices and "Allow" yourself "Full Control" of it as well.

3. In the right pane of MountedDevices, right click on \DosDevices\K: and click on Delete and OK.

4. Restart the computer to apply. You should now be able to change the second hard drive letter to K.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/39481-cant-change-hard-drive-letter-needed-letter.html
Relevancy 104.49%

I assign greyed Paths... Change drive letter. out. and Can't Drive Letter have a drive that has a lot of information on it that I need A user left our company and all of his files are on this drive I was handed it and asked to build a VM with all his information on it When I plug the drive in it loads the drivers and shows up just fine Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter. in Computer Management shown below but not in Computer So I think ok I'll just add a drive letter but that option is greyed out and won't let me The disk Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter. is initialized and appears to be healthy I have gone to device manager and made sure there were no problems there as well It was also an external drive so I removed it and made it an internal drive on my machine but got the same results It shows up in BIOS but obviously can't boot off of it since it is not an OS drive Deleting formatting the drive is not an option Is there a way to get this drive accessible without that Deleting it is the exact opposite of what I want done here nbsp Thanks

A:Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter.

That looks like a mac formatted drive, that's why it wont work on your PC. Try installing Paragon HFS+ for Windows.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1ba097f6-8a0b-43d8-a826-928458c4ba15/change-drive-letter-and-paths-greyed-out-cant-assign-drive-letter?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 104.49%

My OS is Windows 8.1.
I partitioned my hard drive and labeled the new partition (H), the (D), is the recovery partition from HP. I then created an image of the (C), onto partition (H).
I than checked the recover image through the recover process and the new image reads (D) not (H). The funny thing is, that the date and time is correct for when I created it.
Does anyone have some insight on this?
Thank you,
RS

A:Solved: Image repair displays wrong partition drive letter, but right Time and date

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-image-repair-displays-wrong-partition-drive-letter-but-right-time-and-date.1141306/
Relevancy 102.34%

I'm just curious, because if we can assign a letter for a drive [for example, C:], then, can I assign a letter to a folder? Because when I save/open a file or anything like that, I can just type the letter of the drive if I want to access a drive, so I wish I could assign a letter to a folder.

A:Solved: If I can assign a drive letter, can I assign a folder letter?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-if-i-can-assign-a-drive-letter-can-i-assign-a-folder-letter.393994/
Relevancy 101.91%

sir,

i have windows 7 desktop. there are some partition on it.but there is problem with these partition. All the three partition have the same drive letter.i attach a link showing the picture. all three partitions are dynamic , simple. if i open these drives only the contents of one drive are appeared. another two drive data are not shown in any manner.

i don't want to lose any data from any drive ......
please help me sir...
my windows is installed in c:\ drive which is also dynamic and there are no recent changes.only one change i did which is i shrink dynamic volume 50 GB from 206 GB and again mixed with 206 GB without allocating free space.

and only the c drive is on and d drive is off.but in my other desktop same configuration exist.
please help me...and please don't say change and remove drive letter...........waiting for response

A:changing one drive letter all 3 partitions change to that drive letter

First thing you're going to do is fill in the specs of the desktop whose snips you are showing us.

Then you're going to do the same with the second pc opening a second post with snips. Give it a different title like "Second pc with drive letters the same". Don't forget the snips.

You should not have dynamic disks in either machine. What did you do to accomplish this?

There exists a bevy of spectacular experts on this site that will be happy to help you. But give us ALL the info please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281527-changing-one-drive-letter-all-3-partitions-change-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 101.48%

Hello My sister did something to her computer and reinstalled Windows XP The thing is that it is installed on a partition labeled quot e quot with only gigs I noticed this because I tried installing more software and it said that there wasn t enough space on the hard drive I searched online and found that I could see both partitions using the disk management utility When I use this utility I can see the partition labeled quot e drive a without letter Partition quot and the other larger partition gigs and it doesn t have a drive letter I have tried adding a letter to it by Partition without a drive letter right-clicking and all that it shows in the menu is quot delete quot and quot help quot Both partitions are labeled as quot healthy quot How do I get back to that partition Are all the programs drivers files etc still on that partition How can I get the computer to start up on that partition Windows XP is now installed on the smaller partition - should it be removed eventually Thanks Jeff nbsp

A:Partition without a drive letter

The little partition was most likely the "System Recovery" partition that came with the already installed software setup when she bought the PC.

Somehow she has clobbered (a techie term ) the main partition that contained her data and Windows installation.

If she has a set of System Restore Disks (CD's), then she may be able to use them to restore the HD to its original state...like the day she bought the PC.

If not, and it were my PC, I would use FDISK to remove everything from the HD, and then recreate a single partition of maximum size on the drive. Next Format it, and then reinstall Windows...going on from there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partition-without-a-drive-letter.563248/
Relevancy 100.62%

I have Windows 7 RC on my Computer. It is on Drive C:

I got this Vista Recovry disk that came with the laptop, and I was going to use it to dual boot Vist with the Windows 7. The Recovery disk will ONLY install onto drive C, there is NO OTHER intallation options.

The Question: If I change the Drive letter of my Windows 7 Drive to Drive D: and then change the Empty partition to C: will my Windows 7 still be bootable? Even if I chagne the boot loader option of Windows 7 to drive D: ?

A:Change Drive letter: Partition containing OS

I have never been able to change an OS to another letter without bricking the OS. The only tutorials for doing so make it clear it is only if the OS letter has slipped.

What I would do is save externally a backup image of Win7 using an imaging software that will allow you to select where to reimage, such as Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition - Free Download or Macrium Reflect.

Then go ahead and do the Vista factory restore, shrink Vista partition in Disk Management, reimage Win7 to the shrunken space. Now boot the Win7 DVD Repair console to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times to rewrite the MBR to Win7 and possibly configure the dual boot. If not, use EasyBCD 2.0 beta in Win7 to add VIsta.

Others may have an easier idea. You'll have the backup image as a path back, so it's worth a try since Win7's drive letter is in most cases relative anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/60802-change-drive-letter-partition-containing-os.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I want to assign a particular drive letter (R) to a partition on a drive for compatibility with another computer system. However when I attempt to change the drive letter using Windows Disk Management, "R" is not shown as a choice. There is no other disk shown in the listing of Volumes with the drive letter "R", and every other unassigned letter is available, so why isn't "R" shown? If indeed R is assigned to something, how can I find out what it is?

A:Can't assign a particular drive letter to a partition

Hello coffent,

You should be able to use OPTION TWO to see if "R" has already been assigned. If so, then you could use step 4 in OPTION TWO to swap the "R" drive letter with the letter the partition is currently using.

Drive Letter - Add, Change, or Remove in Windows

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/388427-cant-assign-particular-drive-letter-partition.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I don't understand how, but when I installed XP MCE, it was with all other drives disconnected. However, when I went to Disk Management, it's partition is labeled G:, while W7 is labeled L: when running MCE. I want to change G: to the usual C:. but Disk Management won't permit that, and when I tried something similar with Acronis Disk Director some time back, the OS would no longer boot, so I'm not anxious for a repeat performance.

The question is, how to relabel the partition safely?

A:Changing OS Partition Drive Letter

I wouldn't and don't think you can change it, not without re-installing. As you have seen Windows won't let you change the drive letter of the partition windows is installed too. The main reason is that doing that would break a lot of programs etc. They would be looking for the old drive letter not the new one. Do you have a flash card reader installed? If yes that would be my guess as to why the drive letter got to be so high. I've seen that happen in XP if the hard drive wasn't formatted. It doesn't get a drive letter until after its formated. The other formatted drives would get C:, D:, etc. I didn't think windows 7 did that anymore but I could be wrong. Like a lot of people, I've only been using it for a short while. Now that the drive is formated it should get the first drive letter C: so a re-install should fix it. It just depends on how much that bothers you as to whether you want to do it over again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/71089-changing-os-partition-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 100.62%

I have a triple boot desktop computer with XP, Vista, and windows 7, and some storage partitions as fat 32 and ntfs types. Each operating system shows the partitions with different drive letters. From booted in the XP it is drive G, Vista is C, 7 is D, and with the 2 optical DVD/CD drives, and the 3 storage partitions, I can change those drive letters some to allow drive E to then become available for the XP system. So is there any way to change my XP from drive G to E, such as booting to the XP recovery console and using the diskpart or map commands, or some registry edit to do this change, thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-change-the-xp-partition-drive-letter-from-g-to-e.955466/
Relevancy 100.62%

Hello....great forum!
my C: is a SSD Id like to have back as one disc, one partition..

The 101 mb 'unallocated' It was previously listed as " reserved system protected drive" I removed and formatted its 101 mb...back to empty, unallocated, can I lose that partition??

It shows up under disc management as a part of c...but really has no drive letter at all it just shows as C:

Many thx for ideas rick

A:SSD partition on c: sys drive. has no letter 'unallocated'

Are you currently using that C as your OS partition, if so, you need that other partition as is..

101mb is roughly the equivalent of 60 photos, your temp internet files can be 10x that amount. and its not not taking up a drive letter.

Do you really want/need that space?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/25193-ssd-partition-c-sys-drive-has-no-letter-unallocated.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hi!

Problem:

I have 2 HD

1. WD Raptor 36 GB (2 partition 8GB-System, 27GB-Other)
2. WD Caviar 200 GB

With Partition Magic i have changed drive letter on 2nd HD:
F-E
G-F
and so on

I did`t touch the primary partition. The problem is when I start My Computer in Task Manager "explorer" has taken around 98% of CPU USAGE,it is the same when I creating a shortcut to one of the partition and try to open it.

I have to END PROCESS "explorer" in TASK MANAGER and run it again,and everything work fine until I run previous command.

PLEASE HELP!

Srđan

Relevancy 99.33%

I have a multiboot system with Win XP thru Win over separate non-raid SDD's I mostly live in Win But Win is looking really good now On the drive with Win I have that Reserved System partition Somehow over time it received a drive letter D Will it cause any trouble if I remove just the drive letter from this partition I do NOT want to delete it Just want to free up some space in Windows Explorer I can't use that little partition for anything so why see it everyday partition Reserved 7 for can Drive be removed? Win Letter I'm not sure on which partition my MBR bootloader in located If it is in this little partition and I remove the letter will I have problems booting on the next re-boot I use EasyBCD as my bootloader program I have a copy loaded in each Drive Letter for Reserved Win 7 partition can be removed? OS Thoughts Suggestions Next somewhat related question In each Win install the drive letters get mixed up for example I have a large Data HDD with no OS on it In Win it has drive letter M in Vista it is L in Win it is S While working in each OS can I change the DATA HDD drive letter and not have a problem in another OS Thanks everyone

A:Drive Letter for Reserved Win 7 partition can be removed?

It should not a have letter, remove it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/371467-drive-letter-reserved-win-7-partition-can-removed.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Using MiniTool PartWiz, I unhid the RECOVERY (F: ) partition. Is it safe to change the drive letter to (E: )? Will it still work?

A:Change drive letter of RECOVERY partition?

Yes. As long as you don't change the starting sector of the recov partition. A letter is just an alias. It won't damage anything.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318902-change-drive-letter-recovery-partition.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I want to do file check but its telling me to give each partition a drive letter

When I either right click partition or click partition at top "change letter" is not higlighted.

If I use Label it says it will wipe out anything on that partition which I obviously dont want

can anyone help please?

A:How do I assign drive letter in Partition Wizard

Hello, you can go to computer management and do it from there.

Click start, type computer management form there click disk management then right click drive you want to change and choose your options.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/60446-how-do-i-assign-drive-letter-partition-wizard.html
Relevancy 99.33%

I am hoping someone here will know what letter Change of partition drive boot I should do I installed an old partition I imaged ready to put on a new hard-drive I need to make it so Change drive letter of boot partition the system does not see it as drive letter quot C quot as that is not what it was originally particularly when the programs on it were installed I boots up fine most of the way but then when it gets to quot Preparing your Desktop quot it hangs for a long while and when it comes out of that it dispays Change drive letter of boot partition quot This version of Windows is not genuine quot I should sat at this point My copy of Windows is genuine Is there a way I can change the drive letter of this partition back to the value the installations on it expect as at the moment it thinks it is quot C quot which I believe is what is causing the problem The old partition I am installing did not have the drive letter quot C quot it had quot O quot I know this was a bad mistake to make but it is too late to change now This is the partition I used that has the most programs installed which are useful for my uni coursework I can start afresh but would rather not spend all that time at the pc basically waiting for each installation process to run nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-drive-letter-of-boot-partition.1091677/
Relevancy 99.33%

Hi

is really the best way to remove the drive letter to hide a parition ?
for example in a second hard disk i have another operation system (microsoft)

is the best way?
are you sure w7 will not see it?

because i run mydefrag ,an amazing defrag and it see the volume i did hide

thanks

A:is the best way remove the drive letter to hide a partition ?

Are you trying to hide your partition from windows explorer? Or from partitioning software?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/296387-best-way-remove-drive-letter-hide-partition.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hi,

Run into an issue with a hard drive showing 3 partitions, but I can't assign a drive letter to it.

Background: It was running Win 7 Pro 64-bit, but was having occasional issues with blue screening. I've pulled the hard drive from that PC and have it hooked to my own (also Win 7 Pro 64) via USB external HD enclosure to run scan disks. The first two partitions I'm accessing fine, but the third one won't give me any options, no matter what I try. Any insight would be great.

EDIT: And sorry, right under where the submenu appears that says "Help", it says "Healthy (Recovery Partition)".

A:Unable to assign drive letter to HD partition?

Hi FuryoftheStars,

First let me tell you how to make a full screen Windows Disk Management screenshot.

Before you take the screenshot, go to the top menu bar and click on the "Show/Hide Console Tree" and "Show/Hide Action Pane" to hide those. Then we can clearly see all the columns in the top listing of the drives. Sometimes that information is necessary.

A sample screenshot with no information obscured/truncated:

Now a straight answer to your query:

The OEM Recovery partition in this case (and in most other cases too) is deliberately of a different Partition Type so that users cannot access it with Windows, meddle with it and spoil the broth. You may change the partition type to the normal type accessible to Windows and then assign a drive letter.( If you want to do it, do it at your own risk .)

If information on it is already available, I do not want to rewrite it . Please see Techno Wizard's last post dated 21 Oct 2013 here Assigning a letter to OEM Partition ( Take only what he says about recovery partition. The hibernation partition is not applicable here.)

(Now on my part ) You can also change the partition type using MiniTools Partition Wizard.( Changing it with diskpart by normal users is a little bit tedious and requires care)

EDIT: You can ascertain the current partition type from the "Properties" page in the first right click menu ( the last in that menu)

Having said all this, whatever problem you had with that system, you should have sorted it out in it only without taking out the HDD and putting it in an external enclosure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/341655-unable-assign-drive-letter-hd-partition.html
Relevancy 99.33%

i just reinstalled my WHOLE computer ...

i had a 80GB hard drive...and now decided to partition it... 40GB each .... question is now....

i got the main partition with the Windows installation in it as the C drive...and the 2nd partition as the I:\ drive ....

how do i change it to the D drive? there is only one hard drive installed....

A:hard drive partition letter associations?

oh yea, i did have another hard drive installed, transferred my backup files, and took it out ...

and, any way i can change the letters of the CDROM drives?

ive tried TweakUI (or Powertoys for winXP)

and this is now WinXP Pro SP1 (soon to be SP2 before I do anything else...might as well get it installed on a fresh install so i dont run into problems ....)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-partition-letter-associations.281255/
Relevancy 99.33%

Boot partition drive letter changed, how do I fix it?

some how my boot drive letter changed on my windows 8 machine.

I am trying to change it back to c drive by using diskpart in the windows 8 boot cd

I change it with disk management and with diskpart but when I restart it changes the drive letter back to F , it wont stay at C

A:Boot partition drive letter changed, how do I fix it?

Post a snapshot of a fullscreen Disk Management Window:

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen. Expand the fields as necessary so everything can be seen.

How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7/8).

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/65497-boot-partition-drive-letter-changed-how-do-i-fix.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Ok, so I have my system and I have 2 operating systems on it. 1 is C:\ and the other is I:\ .Today i turned on my computer and a windows boot manager error thing came up so i put in windows 7 disk and it repaired the system. i go into I:\ (which is windows 7) and came up with disk check. Then it continued normally until it said 'Preparing your desktop'. Then it came with blank blue-ish screen and in the bottom right conner said "This copy of windows is not genuine" which it is. Signed me in to a temp account couldn't access any files. Turns out it was trying to access D:\ instead of I:\ no programs worked. I went onto the other operating system checked it and it said it was I:\ so somehow Windows changed it to thinking it was D:\ not I:\
Any help is appreciated.

A:Windows 7 changed partition drive letter

you will have to edit the registry offline (this happened to me not to long ago...)

Also what is the "other OS"? If it is Windows then follow the bellow:

here take a look at this thread http://www.techsupportforum.com/f217...ml#post2666549

If you have any questions, just ask

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-changed-partition-drive-letter-492654.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Ok i know this sounds letter add partitions partition, primary Can't have to drive 7 stupid hey it's windows but how do I end up with primary partitions I thought you could only have Anyway one of my partitions no longer has a drive letter so I can't access anything on it I'm Can't add drive letter to partition, have 7 primary partitions unable to right click it in Can't add drive letter to partition, have 7 primary partitions disk Management to add one the option is grayed out see pic st partition MB win boot nd partition the windows OS on it's own G partition rd partition G FreeBSD Unix this is a multi-boot system th partition G data partition the one that lost it's drive letter D th th and th partitions are Linux partitions and the last one looks like an extended partition by the green outline I've used this system successfully since last year when win came out It's worked pretty good but all of a sudden it lost the drive letter for the G data partition I have no idea what happened or how to get it back Any ideas

A:Can't add drive letter to partition, have 7 primary partitions

Shot in the dark:

As you said, you can only have 4 Primary Partitions. I suspect that Windows knows this and is therefore saying "Well that can't be right" and assuming its made a mistake and won't let you assign drive letters.

If you get it down to 4 partitions again, it will probably let you assign letters.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/98011-cant-add-drive-letter-partition-have-7-primary-partitions.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Preamble Cannot up access no letter drive because backed partition I keep my system in one partition and documents in a second on drive Recently i attempted to set up xp in even another paritition That's a whole other story I ran into trouble gave up ended with a fouled up boot manager and decided to reinstall windows from the install cd Before reinstalling windows I made a partition on a second exterior hard drive and backed up my documents partition in it Problem With Windows reinstalled and with the exterior hd connected the partition with the documents does not show up in My Computer It does however show up in Disk Management But it has no drive letter And if you open Cannot access backed up partition because no drive letter the right click menu on that partition everything is greyed out except quot delete partition quot and quot help quot Maybe I neglected to assign a drive letter on the back up partition But wouldn't the Cannot access backed up partition because no drive letter system do that automatically Maybe the drive letter assigned by the system conflicts with a drive letter on the inside hd How do I rescue my backed up documents

A:Cannot access backed up partition because no drive letter

Change, add, or remove a drive letter - Windows Help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-access-backed-up-partition-because-no-drive-letter-1107465.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi,

The drive letter of my boot/active Win7 partition should be C:, but in my case it isn't; the boot/active partition drive letter is F.

I've tried to move heaven and earth to change the drive letter of the boot partition but nothing works.

So, aren't there any apps, tools or utilities to change the drive letter of my current boot partition?

Thanks in advance,
Johan

A:Changing Drive Letter of Boot/Active partition

Nothing that I know of. My original Win 7 installation was "E" drive. I had considered things suggested but finally decided to let it be. It doesn't matter to Windows what the drive letter is, everything works regardless of the drive lettter. I later installed Windows 7 on an SSD drive, with a clean install (and the SSD drive the only drive connected during installation) and now back to the "C" drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/270108-changing-drive-letter-boot-active-partition.html
Relevancy 98.47%

I switch on my computer typically as every morning. This time I lost my extended WD Passport 80 MB. No letter drive.

I check in Device Manager. Disk is recognize, but shows
Type - Unknown
Status - Unreadable
Partition Style - Not Applicable
Capacity - 0 MB
Unallocated Space - 0 MB
Reserved Space - 0 MB

Looks like a Master Boot Records gone. Addictionaly it shows me FAT 12 .

I have no idea what's happened.

When drive starts make it sounds like a "turn few times". I didn't hear it before. Is it mechanically corrupted, or just lost partitions ?

Relevancy 98.47%

Hello all,

I've been trying to find a way to hide my swap partition, but all available information on doing so either leads to group policy editing (which only has various combinations of the drive letters A, B, C, D, E for hiding), drive letter removal (which is an untenable solution given that the swap partition is only usable with a drive letter to tie it to), or registry editing (which is as untenable as the other two).

I have attempted all three with no perceivable solution.

Thanks

For reference: My swap partition's drive letter is S:

A:How do I hide a disk/partition which has a custom drive letter?

From your specs. What does that mean?

Quote:
Computer type PC/Desktop

Quote:
Windows 7 Home 64 bit (Laptop)

This tutorial by Golden would be helpful.

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/340961-how-do-i-hide-disk-partition-has-custom-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello My first post here Partition Windows Drive Change to Need System Letter so I hope I am in the correct place Here is my problem I installed Windows Pro bit on a new Seagate TB drive During the Windows install I created a GB partition where the Windows files would be installed I also left an unallocated partition that I would later use as a data drive for storing music videos docs Need to Change Windows System Partition Drive Letter etc As normal the Windows installer stated it would need to create a system partition where the boot files and other mysterious files would be stored Indeed after installation it had created a mb system partition which I believe is normal In Windows I used the Disk Management utility Need to Change Windows System Partition Drive Letter to make the Unallocated partition useable As a result I had the following partitions System partition no drive letter assigned C Boot and Page File partition where Windows is installed D Data partition where music videos docs etc will Need to Change Windows System Partition Drive Letter be stored So far all is well However What I needed to do was follow the simple procedure in the following link to move my C Users folder to D Users Move All User Folders to Another Hard Drive Windows gt How - To MaxMakeDesign co uk After following the instructions to get to the dos command prompt via the Windows install repair DVD I was bemused to find that the system partition that had no drive letter in Windows was drive C my boot partition where Windows is installed drive C in Windows was drive D and my data drive drive D in Windows was drive E As such performing the C Users to D Users process is impossible In fact I tried it by substituting C for D and D for E but when I went to boot into Windows it claimed that no user could be found which is understandable So how do I make the system partition in the dos command prompt i e outside of Windows be another drive letter i e NOT C or make it hidden so my boot partition where Windows is installed is C and my data partition is D like they are in Windows In this thread I am using Microsoft's way of naming the partitions - System partition where the boot files are stored Boot partition is where Windows is installed Stupid how Microsoft managed to make things confusing by labelling these partitions in a non-logical opposite way I hope someone can help BTW I don't mind if I have to do a complete reinstall of Windows Cheers Mark

A:Need to Change Windows System Partition Drive Letter

Maybe this would be easier.

User Profile - Change Default Location

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/278291-need-change-windows-system-partition-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi Guys,
My sister has just brought a Dell laptop, (not sure which model), which came pre-installed with windows vista.
The hard drive has been partitioned into drives "C" & "D" - drive "D" contains the system recovery data and is called "recovery disk".

I need to change the drive letter of "D" to something else as they have some software that only runs from CD and will only run if the cd is named drive "D", so I would like to rename the "D" drive to "L" and then rename the cd drive to "D".

I know how to change the drive letters but I'm concerned that in renaming drive "D" the recovery programs won't be able to work if she ever needs to recover the system.

Does anyone have any ideas about this please?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/changing-drive-letter-on-vista-recovery-partition-295886.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Okay so I managed to figure out all my problems with my partitions and my computer not starting and I am finally at the last step. I have a partition made specifically for Minecraft with a smaller cluster size so it runs faster...

Now I would like it so this drive has no letter so everyone doesn't see the Minecraft drive on there accounts (in-case they say whats that oh delete etc...). So how can I create a shortcut to the launcher in this drive without allowing the drive to have a letter???

Regards, Radical924

A:How can I make a shorcut to a hidden drive/partition with no letter???

How about a security setting?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/301045-how-can-i-make-shorcut-hidden-drive-partition-no-letter.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Before : My harddisk has 2 partition. It is C : SYSTEM, and D : RECOVERY . Then I make new partition, shrink volume from C was named E : NEW .

After I was reinstalled windows by clean install, the letter drive and partition changed to C : SYSTEM , D : NEW, and E : RECOVERY there was before drive D changedto E..

Please help me...it's normal? Thanks for the explanation....

A:drive letter partition was changed after clean install

That is not a problem at all. Unless you have a big problem with those letters, I would leave it as is. But you can change the drive letters in Disk Management (not C though).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/67467-drive-letter-partition-changed-after-clean-install.html
Relevancy 98.47%

My system will not boot. It gets as far as the Windows XP logo with the 'busy bar' going back and forth, hangs for a while, and then reiterates the entire reboot process. Starting in Safe Mode reveals a hang at MUP.DLL.

The Windows XP Setup program does not recognize the partition as being NTFS formated (my 160GB hdd has two partitions, the second one is ok).

I booted Partition Magic from a bootable CD and discovered that the primary partition has no drive letter allocated to it.

How can I restore drive letter C without erasing the entire operating system?

Many tanks to everyone has a solution

A:Drive letter designation (C:) on my primary partition has been lost

If you have the windows xp cd, boot from it and go into the recovery console. Go here ---> Recovery Console For more information. Once there in the recovery console type this command Fixboot "this Writes a new boot sector to a selected partition." then type Fixmbr this will Repair the Master Boot Record (MBR). Restart the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drive-letter-designation-c-on-my-primary-partition-has-been-lost.867730/
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello having to to original Recovery Assign another partition? than letter drive (D:) configure a new HP laptop with pre-installed Win I need Assign another drive letter than original (D:) to Recovery partition? to create some extra logical drives to organize things better Assign another drive letter than original (D:) to Recovery partition? Unfortunately the usual OEM scenario applies all four possible primary partitions are already happily taken by the manufacturer SYSTEM no drive letter C Recovery D HP TOOLS no drive letter Why can't they just make one partition Extended to begin with However this thread and similar ones here contain excellent info so I know already what can be done I don't want to Assign another drive letter than original (D:) to Recovery partition? touch SYSTEM and don't want to remove Recovery or HP TOOLS so the only option for me seems to be to turn C into an extended partition then shrink then add logical volumes as required Sounds feasible enough The one remaining question I have is rather simple Is it possible to then assign another drive letter than the original D to the Recovery partition The point being that I'd like the user not me to be able to use drive letters C D and E with Recovery being e g R so that she is not confused by and always has to think about having to quot skip quot D On this forum I found some statements saying no it shouldn't be done because then the F boot into recovery won't work any more while others say yes it can be done with no ill effects Any quot authoritative quot answer to this Would it even be possible to remove any drive letter from Recovery so as to make it quot invisible quot Thanks for any tips Tronje Sincere thanks to quot Brink quot the quot Bare Foot Kid quot and all the other experts for their hard work sharing their knowledge It's very valuable for us Win beginners and much appreciated Except perhaps for the sligthly ominous mentioning of quot Boot quot for C in the quot Status quot column of the Win disk manager besides quot Page File quot and quot Crash Dump quot C is not marked quot System quot or quot Active quot only SYSTEM is but why then the quot Boot quot designation Does this kill after all the idea of turning C into an extended partition This has been asked before on the forum but apparently there was no reply

A:Assign another drive letter than original (D:) to Recovery partition?

Hello Tronje, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The Recovery Manager in Windows 7 and at boot/startup (F11) uses this Recovery (D) partition to start the factory recovery process. (in Windows 7) HP Omni 220-1100 Desktop PC series*-* HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7) - c01867418 - HP Business Support Center
(at boot/startup) HP Omni 220-1100 Desktop PC series*-* HP PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7) - c01867418 - HP Business Support Center
Removing the drive letter from the Recovery (D) partition would cause you to no longer be able to open the Recovery Manager in Windows 7. I'm not sure if at boot/startup (F11) would still work or not. You would have to test afterwards to see. If not, then you would need to add the drive letter back.

Changing the drive letter of the Recovery (D) partition could cause you to no longer be able to open the Recovery Manager in Windows 7. I'm not sure if at boot/startup (F11) would still work or not. You would have to test afterwards with both methods to see. If not, then you would need to change the drive letter back to (D).

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/259736-assign-another-drive-letter-than-original-d-recovery-partition.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi
After partitioning a hard drive with Partition magic, the two partitions were labeled D: and E:
The boot partition was D:. I used the option to change the boot partition to C:. The software showed a warning that renaming the boot partition might result in not being able to boot. I went ahead reasoning that, at worst, I would have to use a CD to reboot. Well, now the computer won't start (I don't mean won't reboot. When I hit the power button the front power light goes on and stays on, the power supply runs, but that's it.

Any ideas?

thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/no-start-after-change-of-drive-letter-in-partition-magic-338582.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi I have an anternal media drive whith a number of hidden partitions which do not show up in Magic Drive Format Drive Letter Partition - A Assigning WITHOUT windows One of these partitions had become corrupted and unuseable and I would like to try re formatting it to fix the error In Partition Magic there are a number of drives listed Some of the drives on the partition have assigned drive letters but the one I want to format has is greyed out and listed with a infront of it Partition Magic will let me enter the drive to Partition Magic - Format Drive WITHOUT Assigning A Drive Letter view details and even gives me the option to format it BUT then wants to assign the drive the letter A If I do this then the media drive will be unable to work as it will have lost the file path it needs to record on to I just wnat to re format this drive with whatever freeware and have the drive letter wich is currently unassigned untouched so that the media player never knows its been formatted File system is FAT partition size is gb using Partition Magic there are partitions with assigned drive letters and without on the gb HDD Any help or suggestions appreciated thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/partition-magic-format-drive-without-assigning-a-drive-letter-469373.html
Relevancy 97.18%

I have a single drive partitioned into 2.

I installed windows 8.1 onto partition C.
I cloned partition C onto partition D using EaseUS Backup.
I used easyBCD to add a boot entry for partition D.

I know if you do two separate installtions through the installer, windows makes the drive letter it boots from into drive letter C. This retains the proper path links and ensures compatibility for all applications.

But with the clone when i boot into drive D, it doesn't rename itself into drive C. How can I get the rename functionality enabled so it works properly?

What I have now is windows starting from drive D, but all the links point to drive C for everything including the desktop.

A:Dual Booting Cloned Partition - Incorrect drive letter

SOLVED:

I solved it the issue. It was because that the disk lettering was already enumerated for the other partition on the initial installation. You couldn't change it in disk management since it was in use.

I opened the registry on disk d remotely.
I went into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > MOUNTEDDEVICES > CLEAR ALL KEYS

Those keys are what gives the drives the letters, but they have to be removed remotely and not within the installation

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/56392-dual-booting-cloned-partition-incorrect-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hello I recently took my hard drive out of my laptop and plugged it into an external Issue/boot Letter 8 no boots longer - Drive partition? Win USB drive to copy some files to another laptop Upon putting the hard drive back into my laptop windows would no longer boot It Win 8 no longer boots - Drive Letter Issue/boot partition? would get to the Operating System select screen I also boot Win on this system and when Win 8 no longer boots - Drive Letter Issue/boot partition? I select windows it would go to a black screen hard drive light would flicker for a bit and it would just stay stuck on this black screen When I rebooted and from the operating system select screen accessed the Command Prompt I noticed that the partition where Windows was was no longer on C Instead it was now residing at D and C was the system reserved partition which i think is the boot partition in windows So I'm guessing - and correct me if im wrong - that when i select Windows from the operating system screen it is searching for the operating system in C as it used to be but now somehow that partition now exists as D so it cant find the files and just hangs If this is the case then I suppose I either need my windows partition to reclaim C or i need to change the boot settings somehow to load windows from its new home at d Im guessing the first option is the best way to go back to exactly how things were I dont know how to do either So I'm not sure what happened here when I plugged my hard drive via an external USB caddy it seems to have changed a few things around on the drive like assigning the system reserved partition a drive letter - it shouldnt even have a letter should it As a side note Windows does boot correctly from this laptop - im guessing because when you select windows it restarts the machine and the OS can only see partition - that where windows resides Also I have a run a chkdsk on the windows partition and it came back with no problems

A:Win 8 no longer boots - Drive Letter Issue/boot partition?

Drive letters as seen by Start up Repair.

Try this,

How to do a Automatic Repair:
Automatic Repair - Run in Windows 8
Note: You may need to do startup repair 3 to 4 times.
Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/30384-win-8-no-longer-boots-drive-letter-issue-boot-partition.html
Relevancy 97.18%

My OS is Windows 8.1.

I partitioned my hard drive and labeled the new partition (H), the (D), is the recovery partition. I then created an image of the ©, onto partition (H), so if need be I don’t have to go through that wonderful reload of windows and update process.
I went to check out the partition and sure as poop there’s a problem! It is saying that the Image location is on (D), but date and time I created the image is correct. I also tried to select a system image, but the only one is the (D).  

Hope this enough info tried to attach a screen shot, but it was to large.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562432/image-repair-displays-wrong-partition-drive-letter/
Relevancy 97.18%

After researching my issue and found this closed thread - quot Windows won t read drive in explorer quot I started my own little research to my problem First some basics I am running Windows Ultimate bit I have SATA Hard Drives one Recovery drive letter on my lost Healthy (Active, Partition) with OS SATA DVD and Blu-Ray Drives and IDE Hard Drive which lost my drive letter on Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition) is configured as a slave lost my drive letter on Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition) Second - I needed to do some hard drive trouble shooting for another computer that had a possibly dead IDE Hard Drive To do this I shut down my computer and attached the supposedly dead IDE Hard Drive in its place Now lost my drive letter on Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition) - all the trouble began After booting into the Bios I noticed the supposedly dead hard drive did not register even though it was spinning I kept booting into the OS to see if it would be recognized in any case - it was not I put my working IDE Hard Drive back in - after shutting down and removing the dead IDE Hard Drive I booted back into the BIOS and noticed my good IDE Hard Drive wasn t being recognized either I then went into advanced Bios settings and walla - it saw my hard drive but said I needed to reboot After rebooting I noticed the same thing with the Bios but this time proceeded to boot into the OS After signing on I noticed my Good Hard Drive was no longer recognized in Explorer I went into Administrator and Computer Management and then into Disk Management What I saw puzzled me as over the past years I never have seen this My good hard drive was showing up as Disk and showed the partitions The only option I was allowed was quot help quot or I could change to a Dynamic disc I immediately stopped as any further action and I knew I would destroy my data I booted and investigated several times to see if this bug would work itself out - it did not Now I began to worry because I did not back up my important files STUPID I KNOW for over a week I read everyone s posts in a frenzy as I am sure everyone has experienced this panic mode I realized I did not do anything dumb with my hardware and I could only think of all the updates Windows does every damn single night as I shut down my computer - ugh - how freakin annoying yes I know I can change that setting I then decided to try something I restored my system to a restore point of several days ago BAM My Hard Drive came back - woohoo I stepped away to have a quick lunch thinking I just saved my times over and said I would not do anything until I backed everything up Well - of course Windows being what it is while I was away for minutes or so my computer decided to do an auto update and reboot And as you might be thinking right now is that - yes - it did - lost my hard drive again Okay - so now I m not sure if my hard drive is going bad - it could be going intermittent on me - or if Windows is updating some driver causing this to happen So I did another restore from the same point as I first did - OMG - it did not work Frenzy time again I then got down on my knees and prayed quot Dear Lord - if I go back one more restore point and this works - do not leave the computer and back up the files immediately quot YES It came back Without flinching I immediately went into Explorer and copied the entire hard drive to another SATA working hard drive While copying I went back into Administrator and Computer Management and then into Disk Management and noticed that it was still not recognizing my hard drive with a letter even though it is seeing it in Explorer - wow - As I type this I am not doing another dag nabbed thing until I finish getting all my data off In final It could be a problem with my motherboard - it could be my hard drive dying - it could be Windows Bottom line - BACK Up BACK Up BACK UP Oh - and don t do a diagnostic for another computer s problems even if it s my work computer - that I tried fixing at hom... Read more

A:lost my drive letter on Healthy (Active, Recovery Partition)

Go into control panel and change windows update settings
to something other than automatic,like download and notify.
That way you have a choice what to install.
Then run windows update manually.
Check the list of updates for a drive controller driver.
It sounds like it is installing one that isn't working for you.
It would probably be under optional updates.
You should be able to select hide update an click ok
so it won't try to install it anymore.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-my-drive-letter-on-healthy-active-recovery-partition.1073292/
Relevancy 97.18%

I used to boot into Win which has been installed on a partition with in partition Win8 after Changed drive EaseUS change letter drive letter W After I ran EaseUS partion manager Best partition manager software - EaseUS Partition Master Family the partition has been enlarged and at first glance I am Changed Win8 drive letter after partition change in EaseUS able to boot Unfortunately my login screen is not customized anymore does not display background pictures apps et cetera and upon login I can hardly do anything no desktop is displayed I cannot start an explorer instance et cetera Guest logins are automatically kicked out Upon logging in it has remembered by username and apparently my credentials it just says 'Preparing Windows' for some time en then displays a blank screen in which I can see my mouse and with ctrl-alt-del get some options but I'm not able to start the task manager When I reboot into safe mode which is way more hidden than in Win I m able to start a task manager en from the I can run items browse my PC et cetera However I can see that my drive letter has been changed from W to E Most of the application I start are broken like when I start the MSC snap-in in order to maybe change the drive letter using Windows' built-in partition manager it state it is broken When I try to change the drive letter using the command prompt and 'diskpart' I'm not allowed as the drive I want to assign a drive letter to is a system drive I seem to have suffered no data loss I've got most stuff backed up anyway but don't want to re-install either The system is dual boot so I can work on the Win version but assigning a drive letter in Win only assigns it for the Win instance Any bright tips anyone

A:Changed Win8 drive letter after partition change in EaseUS

Phew, found a solution myself:

With some effort I was able to boot into safe mode, tricked an instance of the task manager, from the task manager I could start regedit.

In regedit I assigned the appropriate drive letter under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

This worked for me, but I recommend this ONLY as a last resort kind of thing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/281003-changed-win8-drive-letter-after-partition-change-easeus.html
Relevancy 97.18%

I have two virtually identical Dell laptops running Windows Home Premium.

On one of them I wanted to see what was in the hidden RECOVERY partition so I fired up Disk Manager and added a drive letter. Nothing in the partition made sense to me so I removed the drive letter.

However, windows no longer recognizes the RECOVERY partition. If I run standard windows "Create System Repair Disc", I get an error message "The parameter is incorrect 0x80070057".

The Dell DataSafe program also says it cannot find the RECOVERY partition.

a) Is there some kind of attribute that got changed when I assigned the drive letter and then removed it? If yes, how can I set it back?

b) The laptops are virtually identical. Can I use a recovery disk from one on the other? I'm particularly interested in keeping MS Office 2010 Starter edition intact when I upgrade to Win 7 Pro.

TIA

A:Added Drive Letter to Recovery Partition, Then Removed... Now Broken

The recovery partition should have a letter. The System Reserved does not have one. Can you post a
Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image and I can look at it and see what is wrong. Be sure and widen the columns so all of the print can be read.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/385796-added-drive-letter-recovery-partition-then-removed-now-broken.html
Relevancy 97.18%

I am using Vista Home Premium I have GB HD which is partitioned into parts One is C Second one was D I had dual assign Unable partition lost. letter NTFS drive to boot enabled with OpenSuSE running in it which I removed yesterday All was fine and I was able to boot just with Windows without Grub boot loader In Disk management application I could see the partition - where SuSE was there earlier as Free Space C drive is GB D drive is GB Both are NTFS and Free space is GB So far so good Then instead of trying to create a new Drive partition in the GB Free space I tried to extend the existing D Drive using PartitionMagic and somewhere in the process I lost my D Drive I NTFS partition drive letter lost. Unable to assign can no longer see D Drive in my Explorer Currently I can still see old D drive as a partition in blue color in Disk management software indicating that it is a Primary partition But I am not able to assign any Drive letter to it Diska Management app does not show me the properties for this partition I get this error quot Operation failed to complete because the Disk management console view is not up-to-date Refresh the view by using refresh task If the problem persists close the Disk Manage ent console and then restart Disk Management or restart computer quot Restarting did not help Third party tools like Active UnEraser etc are able to detect this partition as NTFS and also able to find all the files in this So I am assuming by data is in there still Something gone bad with Partition Table or Volume Table or some such I don't clearly understand the disctinction between Volumes and Partitions esp when everything is in the same Physical Disk Help me -Sekhar

A:NTFS partition drive letter lost. Unable to assign

Hi Sekhar, It sounds as if it doesn't matter about the files on D:\ now if I understand you correctly- that was where you had Suse installed. It also seems you can still boot and run Vista.

So it seems that you just need to clean up the partition table.

You can try this free tool (recommended) - which supports partition table recovery-
Magic Server Partition Manager Software - Resize partition for Windows Server 2003, 2008 and 2000.
- bootable CD here
Partition Wizard Bootable CD allows user to boot computer directly to manage partition.
or Easeus partition master (home)
Best FREE Partition Manager Freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7. EASEUS free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.
- no bootable disk with free edition

In the past I've found [email protected] Partition Recovery useful in difficult circumstances.

Good luck. dal987

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/282309-ntfs-partition-drive-letter-lost-unable-assign.html
Relevancy 97.18%

I searched for my specific issue but haven't been able to find it.

I've a dual-boot setup with XP Home SP3 and Win7 Pro 32bit on one hard drive, data on the others, and two DVD writers.

After Win7 was installed, the XP partition received the letter D:

This screwed up my optical drive letter assignments.

Shown in the pic is Disk Management in Win7. (In XP, the Win7 partition shows up as I:, which causes no problems)

When I went to change the XP partition letter to X:, so that I could reassign my opticals to the standard D: and E: letters, I got the message shown in the box.

My question is, is it possible to reassign the XP partition's letter, so that I can get D: and E: back as optical drive letter assignements? Will reassigning the XP partition a letter other than D: screw up booting Win7?

A:Dual boot Win7 & XP, XP partition drive letter reassignment?

I certainly wouldn't advocate trying to change system drive letters.

I think, quite honestly, your best solution is to allocate new drive letters to your optical drives.

I would suggest K and L so that the two optical drives are unaffected by whichever system you boot into.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/231137-dual-boot-win7-xp-xp-partition-drive-letter-reassignment.html
Relevancy 96.32%

I've done quite a bit of reading but have not found a specific answer to the title of this thread.  The system reserved partition for Windows 7 is created and has assigned the drive letter D:.  While I have no problem with the system partition
per se, I would prefer no drive letter to be assigned or to able to change it at the very least.

A:Change or remove Windows 7 System Reserved partition Drive Letter

It is highly unusual for Windows 7 to assign a letter to the reserved partition.  It is more likely that someone assigned the letter D: to that partition.
However, you should be able to go to the Disk Management and remove the letter on that partition.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8910da73-2b1c-4e66-b582-de13840af415/change-or-remove-windows-7-system-reserved-partition-drive-letter?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi,
So I inadvertently stumbled onto the disk management program, whilst looking for disk cleanup... and was a little confused to find a 25gb primary partition which was totally unassigned. It won't let me do anything to it other than delete it. So I guess the question I'm asking is, can I delete this partition and assign the 25gb to another drive... or, is this important? I've heard manufacturers often include an inaccessible recovery partition... but 25gb is space I could use...

I've included a screenshot in case my description was a bit rubbish.

Thanks,
Paul

A:Disk Management - 25gb primary partition, unallocated drive letter.

Welcome to the forum,

Can you post a better screenshot with everything in view,

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/321317-disk-management-25gb-primary-partition-unallocated-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Had one of the drive cables come loose while the system was powered up. On fixing the problem and powering the system back up I got the dreaded "Unable to Boot, insert System Disk" error. Booted up with my Windows 7 install cd, went into Recovery Console, and discovered the Console was saying that Disk 0 / Partition 0 is F:\ . Even though the auto repair didn't work I was able to use Bootrec /fixmbr and Bootrec /fixboot , but should I be worried that C: is F: in the Recovery Console? The drive is on SATA 1 (System calls them SATA 1 to SATA 4), so it's Disk 0, and Win 7 is on the first partition, so Partition 0, so by system logic that should be C:. O.o

And poking at the files on the harddrive the /fixboot and /fixmbr put the boot files (win7ldr, grldr, /boot folder, etc) onto the second partition (D which is Disk 0 / Partition 1. O.o Or should be...

A:Windows 7 Recovery Console says Win7's partition drive letter is diff.

Can you post a picture of disk management. That would help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/312260-windows-7-recovery-console-says-win7s-partition-drive-letter-diff.html
Relevancy 96.32%

Hi all,

the other day I switched off the XP restore function after seeing my total drive capacity was out my 2gb. I went into Computer Management > Disk Management and found there was a partition 'unknown health partition'. I downloaded PartitionMagic to merge that partition with the main partition and everything seemed to have worked fine. Now trying to open PartitonMagic again, I get the following error, Init failed: Error 117, Partition's drive letter cannot be determined.
An error also pops up if I attempt to defragment the drive, 'Drive C might be corrupted, run chkdsk /f'. I've done that, no problems found, but I still keep getting the error. Any ideas how to fix this thing?

Thanks

A:PartitionMagic-Init failed: Error 117, Partition's drive letter cannot be determined

From here (archived) http://www.reference.com/browse/Symantec+norton+partition+magic&

Compatibility issues
PartitionMagic is compatible with Windows NT, 98, ME, 2000, and XP desktop editions. However, it is not compatible with Windows NT, 2000, or .NET server editions. It crashes if a Windows Vista partition is present, even if it is run from a different operating system, with the error "Init failed: Error 117. Partition's drive letter cannot be identified". However this error can be avoided if the Windows Vista partition is configured using Windows XP instead of creating the partition using Windows Vista or its installation disk. To fix this, all partitions on the hard drive need to be deleted and formatted into new partitions using the Windows XP installation disk, allowing for a working partition for Windows Vista to be created. The same error occurs in some conditions under WindowsClick to expand...

Normally it's best to use the bootup option (Dos) to access PM, sometimes within Windows it cannot find the drive letter correctly

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/partitionmagic-init-failed-error-117-partitions-drive-letter-cannot-be-determined.114814/
Relevancy 95.46%

After executing the following diskpart commands to the recovery partition the WinRE image is no longer accessible by ReAgentC and recovery media can not be created:
remove
set id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
Do I have to manually mount the recovery partition every time I want to create a recovery media?

JTS

A:ReAgentC: After removing drive letter and setting GPT partition ID/attributes WIM is no longer accesible.

The Create Recovery Media utility works fine. I just ran it as a test, and it does not unhide the recovery partition at any time during the media creation process. So that partition being hidden is not a problem. I took a screenshot showing Disk Management
after the utility created the recovery on USB.

Are you using Windows 8.1? If so, was it original 8.0 and updated through the Store?
I notice that in some cases, an 8.0 original, updated to 8.1 may show errors relating to recovery. For example, if you try to run recovery, it says no recovery partition present and to insert media! But when 8.1 originally came out, you could run recovery
immediately after without having to insert a disc. Something changed over that time period... perhaps it is related to a Windows Update somewhere. Anyways, if your PC is in this category, it is possible that it is related, and recovery media cannot be made
as normal.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/69ca4866-14ab-410c-a478-90e3bb2a1969/reagentc-after-removing-drive-letter-and-setting-gpt-partition-idattributes-wim-is-no-longer?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 94.17%

I'm using MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition v7.7. I deleted all my partitions to clean install, however, my "C:" went away and don't know how to get it back. When I create the partition here, I don't get the option to select a letter. How can I assign in my case?

A:[SOLVED] How do I assign a letter on a newly created partition?

If you are going to install the os, just insert the disk and start the install. Just follow the on screen instructions and it should take care of your c drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-how-do-i-assign-a-letter-on-a-newly-created-partition-686686.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I have just set up my new HP slim line 410-010 and I have keyboard issues. I thinking it goes back to the choices in selecting your keyboard configuration. I recall one of the choices was something about right handed so what ever it said is what I did. I can't type anything. When asking me to name my computer I typed in Tom and it came out as "oyw" I can't type in my email as it comes out gibberish. I am using my laptop to make this post. I am pretty much clueless about the Windows 10 operating system and I don't know how to get back to the keyboard setup and see what those choices are and find out what they mean in terms of keyboard action.

Hope anyone can help me. I am a rookie in setting up a computer
Thanks
CTO40

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/37249-i-type-one-letter-appears-diferent-letter-using-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 92.02%

I have just set up my new HP slim line 410-010 and I have keyboard issues. I thinking it goes back to the choices in selecting your keyboard configuration. I recall one of the choices was something about right handed so what ever it said is what I did. I can't type anything. When asking me to name my computer I typed in Tom and it came out as "oyw" I can't type in my email as it comes out gibberish. I am using my laptop to make this post. I am pretty much clueless about the Windows 10 operating system and I don't know how to get back to the keyboard setup and see what those choices are and find out what they mean in terms of keyboard action.

Hope anyone can help me. I am a rookie in setting up a computer
Thanks
CTO40

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/37249-i-type-one-letter-appears-diferent-letter-using-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I have this weird problem in that a lot of times when I try to type a backslash it looks like a W like (looks W it) corruption backslash Weird letter letter thru with with a horizontal line through it Weird backslash corruption (looks like letter W with letter thru it) Now here is the weird thing It does not do it when I type online Weird backslash corruption (looks like letter W with letter thru it) in a form like here Here the works fine But in some other programs it does not work correctly when I type it And when I try to type a in the URL address box of both IE and Firefox it looks like the W with the horizontal slash in the middle of the letter It works fine in Microsoft Word but the most obvious problem is when I try to install a new program or I see the backslashes in the address of a file on the computer such as when I look to see the path of a program in the Start Menu In these cases I do see the W with the horizontal line not the backslash It doesn t appear the keyboard is defective but something is not being interpreted correctly by the computer in SOME programs Any idea what this may be It is not a problem causing major problems it isn t like my files are becoming screwed up and the locations are fine but is a bit grating to see the backslash being misinterpreted by the computer in a really weird way One of my college roomates was from S Korea and he installed Korean language support so he could use my Word but I uninstalled that and still have a problem The default language in the Windows XP region language settings is English US I had some problems in IE not Mozilla though in which the language looked Korean or oriental of some sort on some pages it would screw up and look weird on some sites like Launchcast in a couple spots not the entire website but since I don t use IE anymore I ignored the issue Should I try uninstalling IE These may be connected possibly Yesterday I had some weird thing happen to me when I tried to update my NVidia drivers I downloaded the English version supposedly but the install program had Chinese or Korean or something written instead I don t know how that happened every other install I have tried has worked just fine The only issue is the install address will have the W w a horizontal line instead of the backslash but the install instructions were in English Perhaps NVidia screwed up their installs I don t know I think this problem with the backslash has been going on for a couple months and I just don t know what may have precipitated it If anybody has any ideas on a fix let me know nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/weird-backslash-corruption-looks-like-letter-w-with-letter-thru-it.375206/
Relevancy 89.87%

Just finished a clean install of XP Home and somehow I screwed up the drive letter assignment. The partition containing the OS is labeled E: and another partition on the same HDD is labeled C:. The machine boots normally. How to fix?

Raybro

Relevancy 89.87%

After reinstalling Vista Home Premium, my D drive which is the recovery section of the hard drive, has been renamed the H drive and one of the card readers has become the D drive.

Does anyone know how to correct the names of the drives?

A:Solved: Drive Letter ID

You can do it through the Vista disk management.
Control Panel -System and Maintenance -Administrative Tools-Create and format hard disk drives.
You will have to change the card reader temporarily to something else, to free up D. (x Y Z?). You can then put it back to where it was, whic I would suggest, so that it retains its installed path.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-drive-letter-id.651218/
Relevancy 89.87%

I was advised to submit my question to this forum to see if I could find some help here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Here's a link to the thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/t72950/s.html

Relevancy 89.87%

I'm having a strange problem. I have a hard drive slaved. It's an old 40 gig Western digital. I didn't see it in My computer when i booted so naturally went to Computer Management to assign a drive letter. I cannot initialize it nor assign a drive letter. The initialize option isnt there and the assign drive letter is greyed out. The only real option is to format but I have alot of information on this drive I cannot lose. I did read a post in here about a problem like this but the help there did not resolve my issues. Any suggestions?

A:[SOLVED] No Drive Letter

Hi Sparky09,

I'm assuming it is a parallel cabled drive and you have two drives on the data cable. The slaved one should have the jumper on the back set for Slave. The other one will be jumpered as Master. The slave drive must show up in the BIOS in order for windows to see it.

Check your cabling, power plugs, and jumpers then look in the BIOS.

Hope this helps,
Mack1

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-no-drive-letter-300535.html
Relevancy 89.87%

I'm a little confused. I had to re-install Windows 7 on my computer. I had it on a small 80g drive but wanted to move it to a larger 500gb drive. I installed windows on this drive, which is lettered Drive G.
After the install was complete I was able to boot into it and everything works normally.

The problem is that even after removing the old drive from the system entirely the Drive now hosting the OS is still being designated as Drive G. How can this be changed to Drive C? Disk Management won't let me rename it.

D

Relevancy 88.58%

My Computer keeps spazzing when it comes to listing drives and drive letters along with their names and icons I have a USB internal Multi Media Card reader so that creates a bunch of drives and they sometimes have the little MMC Icon & Drive Letter Solved: SPAZ Name and a proper drive name but then let s say I insert a Solved: Drive Letter & Name SPAZ CD one of those drives will change to a CD drive Not all of my CD drives Solved: Drive Letter & Name SPAZ are available Solved: Drive Letter & Name SPAZ at startup I wish it were like most computers where all my CD DVD drives were listed in My Computer from the start Also i m sick of drives changing themselves during normal operation Right now my DVD Drive isn t even being detected and sometimes when I hit eject on my burner it ll eject both drives connected to the computer I just installed the DVD burner but there was a CD-RW that it replaced there and I used the same cable config Nero freaks out while burning and I haven t been able to get any other DVD burning software to work because they dont detect the drive Thanx for ur help and please ask if you need more info nbsp

Relevancy 88.58%

running system with win xp media center. i just installed a second dvd writer and the drive is mapped as (I i would like to change the drive to (E how do i remapp the drive?

A:Solved: disc drive letter

In disk management. Start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" and hit enter. From there you can edit drive letters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-disc-drive-letter.976552/
Relevancy 88.58%

I have an old HDD in an external carrier, from which I was hoping to retrieve some files. However, neither my main computer (Windows 7) nor my laptop (Vista), recognise the HDD as a 'USB mass storage device', and I have found it listed instead as a hard drive, but with no drive letter (apparently).

It has been suggested that I allocate a drive letter between N and Z to this old HDD, in order for my machines to recognise it properly, but wherever I look, I'm not given the option to do this.

Other than taking a hammer to the old HDD, can anyone offer any advice, please? I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks.

A:Solved: How do I allocate a new drive letter?

Hold down the Windows key and then press R. Type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. Under Disk Management you will be able to assign a new letter to the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-do-i-allocate-a-new-drive-letter.928409/
Relevancy 88.58%

My external drive has always been "E" and I have several desktop shortcuts that relate. Recently I inserted a flash drive containing home movies and after viewing and a reboot later I noticed that my external drive is now shown as "New Volume F". I would like to change it back to "E" but don't know how. Any help?

Relevancy 88.58%

Just re-installed XP Home on Drive C partion nd partion is D All working fine BUT my cd rom and my cd rw drive letters have been changed from E amp F to I amp J There Letter Solved: allocation Drive is also a G amp H been added for good measure which have nothing installed there but which ask for a disc to be installed when clicked on Not really causing me a problem but it just ain t right and I am about to change the cd rw for a dvd rw and if there are anymore letters added I ll need a prompter to find a drive I have read the solution somewhere but can t find it any clues please Thanks for a brilliant site and that goes for the folks too Can I say that there is a similarly welcoming and useful site for home wine-making enthusiasts at WWW HOMEWINEMAKING CO Solved: Drive Letter allocation UK Solved: Drive Letter allocation Try the -- quot message board quot --- quot non-beer amp wine quot --- quot cheer up quot section for a smile or two SAMPLE - Re Cheer up ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Blondes She thought General Motors was in the army She tripped over a cordless phone She thought if she spoke her mind she would be speechless She asked for the prices at quot Everything for a buck shop quot Spent minutes looking at the quot orange Juice quot because it said concentrate Fermenting Tom IP Logged -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- President Midland Region Wine amp Beer Federation COELIAC Sec y Dudley Wine Circle Judge M R A W F G J Bruz B nbsp

A:Solved: Drive Letter allocation

It has been a while since I have done it. I am running WIN 98 SE and I go to Control Panel/System/Device Manager, click on the desired drive, double click on the drive and select settings and try to change the drive letter. Some are reserved and cannot be changed. First I would try to delete the phantom drives. To avoid conflicts move some drive further out and make your changes and move things back in.
XP may work differently so go to widows/Help/drive letters and follow the procedure. Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-drive-letter-allocation.317206/
Relevancy 88.58%

I have an external HD and when i used it it would be the F drive and everything was fine. Now when i turn it on it is the H drive and it doesnt show up in my computer the way it should. I am at college and i have a network drive that is the H drive. When i go to my computer it shows that the H drive is the network drive but when i click on it my files on the External HD drive. I have had virtual drives but i deactivated all of them(i had virtual drives before and this problem didnt occur). Is there a way to change the drive letter my external HD comes up as?

A:[SOLVED] Drive letter question

I think you can do it in Disk management.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-drive-letter-question-180397.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I've just completed a reformat and reinstall of my window's XP Home, I'm completely back up and running with Sound (Thanks to this forum) .... all updates are done, defrag is almost complete, but I have one itsy bitsy problm .... and it's really no big deal if it stay's this way, but I'm curious! LOL (that get's me into trouble) ...

my drive D, is now drive E! Can this be corrected?

Thank You
CD43

A:[SOLVED] Drive letter changed?

It doesn't matter. That just means something else is taking up the D letter.

If you want to change drive letters:

Go to Start menu>Run

Type in "compmgmt.msc" without quotes.

Under Storage>Disk Management

Right Click on the color strip of the drive and click 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...'

Be sure nothing is taking up the D slot or else D would not be an option.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-drive-letter-changed-282692.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I just upgraded XP Home to XP Pro via upgrade path and everything seemed or has went well so far except for a couple of problems, the upgrade changed the drive letter to my usb drive and was wondering should I change it back and the correct procedure to accomplish this . Haven't opened any third party programs yet to verify if this will cause some problems but thought I should seek some advice first.

A:Solved: Drive Letter Changed ?

I know some one has the answer !

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-drive-letter-changed.487357/
Relevancy 88.58%

How can I PERMANENTLY assign a specific drive letter to my external drive?

On my Vista machine I used Disk Management to assign the letter M: to the drive, however, it only shows up as M: on that VIsta machine. It shows up as the next available letter on any other computer. Is there any way to make the letter (M: in my case) stick so that it shows up as M: on ALL computers. BTW, this is a 500GB drive w/ only 30GB free space so formatting is not not really possible at this time since I don't have any other disc this size to move the data temporarily.
Thank you,

A:Solved: Assign Drive Letter

The drive letter is always decided by the OS on the system, so you will need to assign that letter in each Windows OS you use.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-assign-drive-letter.657392/
Relevancy 88.58%

"Drive letter access component" add on version 1.0.0.1 is not compatible with IE8.
Im running XP and upgraded to IE8. Online support only advise is to buy Reg repair and cleaner.
Is there other method to fix?

Thank you

Relevancy 88.58%

Thanks in advance for your help.
I have a Dell Pentium 4 computer that has it's C: drive changed to the drive letter F: which causes some problems for me. I would like to know how I can change it back to C: without reloading my OS.

Relevancy 88.58%

I have a new XP Pro SP2 system that has two hard drives: the Master C:drive, and a second drive. It came with the second drive showing as the F: drive. D: and E: drives are DVD/CD Roms. My question is: How can I change the Drive letter of the second drive to D: from F:, or is this possible now that the system is set up? And then change the DVD/CD Roms to E: and F: respecfully?

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Sewster

Relevancy 88.58%

I have just re-installed Windows (XP). For some inexplicable reason, (the computer has two hard drives) it has re-assigned drive letters. It calls the boot disk drive "E" and the other HD drive "C".

Note that it is booting correctly, which comes as a surprise as I thought it always HAD to boot from drive "C". Looking at the properties shows the boot drive as drive 0 and the other (now called "C") as drive 1.

Can I simply re-assign the drive letters using Disk Manager, or will this cause problems.

Relevancy 88.58%

Hi guys This doesn t appear to be giving me a problem however I m intrigued and if there s a way to remove this anamoly I d appreciate your advice I ve just replaced my primary and secondary HD s and used a Ghost image to recover The way I had my previous HD s configured was first HD as two partitons first NTFS second FAT nd HD as a single FAT partition This gave me drive letters of C E letter Skipped Solved: drive D in that order other devices CD DVD etc as F G With my new HD s I didn t need to split the first into two partions so I expected that these would just give me drives C and D with the CD drive etc as E F However although the new HD s are C and D the CD is Solved: Skipped drive letter F as before and I don t have any drive E What has happened to E did my Ghost image have this in a Windows registry setting that I need to delete Seems that Win XP collected that drive assignments when I first loaded it and it s still got these in the restored Ghost image Any ideas please nbsp

A:Solved: Skipped drive letter

this happens quite a lot when you start moving things around or adding/removing storage hardware. I've seen many posts just like yours, I guess it's just a bit too confusing for XP to sort out all by itself. Drive E in your case was at some point earmarked for the 2nd partition on your first hd device, so xp has reserved it, in its ultimate wisdom.

The simple way is to right-click on my computer, select 'Manage' and select the appropriate drive/partition, there's an entry for the drive letter which you can change there.

This doesn't, however, come without its own problems. I've also heard of some instability in systems where people have manually changed the drive letters. I can't speak from experience as I generally just go with the flow and don't worry too much about what letter = what. Truth is I don't really care as long as it works.

The only 100% safe and reliable way to have all the drive letters in order, no gaps, is a complete reformat (from delete partition) and install of XP, a bit drastic I'm sure you'll agree just to get the letters neat and tidy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-skipped-drive-letter.286410/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello guys! I have recently upgraded my laptops hard drive and did a fresh install of windows. My drive letters have changed: my old drive partitions used to be c and e, whereas now they are c and d. The thing is I have a problem loading my music projects ( I use cubase sx2) Whenever I try opening a project, it looks for samples in the E drive (which now is d) and I have to look for samples manually into the d drive. I used drive mapper with partition magic, but didnt seem to affect this one thing. So I tried changing the drive letter to E, but since it belongs to the cd player, it doesnt let me. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
thanks!

A:Solved: Change of drive letter

Change the letter on the CD drive first, to something like R or S.

I've never used cubase sx2, but can't you change the reference somewhere within the program?

moper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-change-of-drive-letter.575056/
Relevancy 88.58%

I recently refomatted my HD and reinstalled Windows (XP-SP3). In that process, my DVD/RW was somehow given the letter H: (last of the letters on my system). I thought it would be easy to change it back to D: by going to Disk Management, but that shows only two drives, C: and D: H: is not shown.

How can I move my DVD back to D:?

Relevancy 88.58%

I just built a new computer, just installed a fresh copy of windows, and now my drive has the Letter E:, with C: being some kinda removeable flash drive that doesnt exist..... What can I do to make my E: drive my C: drive? Changing Drive Letters and Paths wont let me ( Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume )

A:Solved: Wrong Drive Letter!!

You probably installed Windows with a USB drive or card reader plugged in.

You can change drive letters easily EXCEPT for the C drive. To fix that your best bet is to disconnect alll USB drives and card readers and format and reinstall again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wrong-drive-letter.807799/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi,

I have a question.

I formatted a partition of my harddrive but in the end not only a partition was formatted but the next partition also was gone.

Meaning: the data is still there, but the NTFS partition isn't recognised anymore by Windows, and in diskmanager the space is now ready to assign new partition.

In a data recovery software, I saw the not recognised partition was still recognised as 'NTFS'.

What can I do?

The best scenario would be to simply tell Windows somehow, there is partition with NTFS and it should assign a letter to it.

A:Windows lost partition letter and don't recognize format partition

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Screenshot tools.
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
Screenshot with Paint
Screenshot and Upload using MWSnap
fscapture free download

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/199533-windows-lost-partition-letter-dont-recognize-format-partition.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi I ve a Dell pc assigned letter partition by "visible" and Windows drive becoming Hidden XP with a small hidden diagnostic FAT EISA partition Starting a few days ago this formerly Hidden partition becoming "visible" and assigned drive letter by Windows XP hidden partition appears to have become visible to Windows XP which assigns it a drive Hidden partition becoming "visible" and assigned drive letter by Windows XP letter I used the command quot mountvol d quot to remove such newly created drive letter but it reappears everytime Windows boots or restarts even in Safe Mode Has anyone experienced anything similar Is it possible that a certain registry setting relating to the formerly hidden partition has somehow been altered If so how can this be reversed so that no drive letter is assigned automatically to the formerly hidden partition An interesting observation is that in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM MountedDevices there is no DosDevices x where x is the drive letter which corresponds to the drive letter now assigned to the formerly hidden partition I cannot use the Disk Management MMC Snap-in to remove the drive letter assignment since selecting the partition and right-clicking only brings up a single quot Help quot line in the context menu without any of the usual options like quot Change Drive Letter and Paths quot Thanks in advance for any suggestions and feedback Luke nbsp

A:Hidden partition becoming "visible" and assigned drive letter by Windows XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hidden-partition-becoming-visible-and-assigned-drive-letter-by-windows-xp.938588/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi,
My windows 7 is suddenly applying a drive letter to the system partition, and removing the letter which causes the "new disk inserted" window to keep popping up every half second. In Disk Manager the drive letter appears and disappears every half second.
The only way I've stopped it is to permanently apply a drive letter, which means it is now visible in windows explorer.

A:System reserved partition becoming "visible" and intermittently assigned drive letter by Windows

I assume by 'system partition' you really mean the hidden system restore partition installed by your PC builder? If so, then after I just fired up Paragon Partition Manager to see what it makes of that partition on my Win 7 PC, I find the partition is Primary, NTFS, active, not hidden, volume name WinRe.

The main interesting thing is the volume letter seems to be set to '*'. It appears as (*) rather than (C: ) as the OS drive does. Furthermore, the main menu has a 'partition' tab, where one of the options is 'assign drive letter', and the next option below is 'remove drive letter' which is currently greyed out.

Looking at the standard Windows computer management, storage, disk management, I see a similar picture, except there is no volume letter at all (apparent in that window anyway).

Quite how the partition gets identified in that way is a puzzle, but you might try a free partition manager, such as gparted and see what that says, and possibly allows you to change. As I say above, Paragon Partition Manager might let you de-assign a drive letter but I dont dare try it myself

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-reserved-partition-becoming-visible-and-intermittently-assigned-drive-letter-by-windows.188983/
Relevancy 88.15%

I had Windows this Letter select Partition and to Install?" "Would YOU for the like Drive XP Home installed on my C drive I purchased Vista Home Premium and when I installed it on my Gig Drive-- The quot System s quot automatically made a partition of about gigs -leaving XP Home OS as Drive E and My new Vista install went on Drive C And Voila It quot System s quot also constructed a Dual Boot Selection for me I have recently bought Windows XP PROFESSIONAL to Upgrade Home and proposed to install XP Pro on Drive E I First got a message that the copy I have is already quot newer quot than the one I'm trying to Install I let this fly by and then I got Question quot Would YOU like to select "Would YOU like to select the Partition and Drive Letter for this Install?" the Partition and Drive Letter for this Install Naturally I ticked BOTH Options YES As the minute install was into - minutes I got an Warning error that the Install CAB on Drive C was going into an Error state I REALLY don't want to mess with drive C AT ALL --as I've installed the Windows Candidate Release OVER the VISTA OS on Drive C Can anyone help me out here

A:"Would YOU like to select the Partition and Drive Letter for this Install?"

Well firstly if you want to upgrade your XP Home install make sure you run the XP Pro setup from XP HOME!! Then it should tell you that your current OS is older than the one on disk, and offer you the option to upgrade.

NB: When you boot into XP you should notice that the drive letters will be different (usually the current system drive is associated to C:- so in XP, your XP part will be C, but in Vista/7 your vista part will instead be labled C:).

As long as you've booted into XP, and run the upgrade setup from there you shouldn't encounter any problems, and it shouldn't touch your Vista partition.

The only issue you may find is that the XP Pro setup might re-write your boot selector with the old legacy one used back in XP, so you wont be able to boot into Vista/7, but that can be fixed by either using EasyBCD in XP to restore the BCD boot manager, or by booting your PC from the Vista/7 disc and selecting the option to repair startup issues.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/would-you-like-to-select-the-partition-and-drive-letter-for-this-install-424340.html
Relevancy 87.72%

I have a Toshiba laptop Pent IV RAM GB HD running XP Home SP I recently purchase a Maxtor GB HD and an external USB enclosure After installing the drive in the enclosure and plugging in the USB it looks like it is recognized says Maxtor drive recognized driver is installed new hardware ready to use but it is not assigned a letter when I click on HD Solved: Assigned External Drive Letter Not quot my computer quot so I can Solved: External HD Not Assigned Drive Letter t do anything with it After reading an earlier thread I attempted to format the drive by clicking on My Computer clicked quot manage quot and quot disk management quot In the main window of this screen only my C drive is listed In the drop down list below the main window are listed disk - C and then under that disc - unallocated GB then under that my CD DVD If I right click on dick I do not get an option to format - only quot properties quot and quot help quot In quot properties quot under the quot general quot tab it says quot Device is working properly quot How can I format this drive and get a drive letter assigned to it Thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 87.72%

So I've been playing around with my computer which has two internal Letter Boot Assignment [SOLVED] Drive hard drives - I installed Fedora on the secondary [SOLVED] Boot Drive Letter Assignment and that's been all fine Then I used Darik's Boot n Nuke to wipe my main drive clean and I installed a fresh copy of XP on it For some reason Windows setup has sort of randomly assigned letters to the drives e g The secondary drive that boots Fedora was called F [SOLVED] Boot Drive Letter Assignment in Windows but is now C - and the drive that Windows installed on named itself G it was previously C of course When I chose which drive to install on I noticed setup was assigning these letters but didn't see a way to change it at the time and didn't think it would matter I read somewhere here earlier today that the boot drive really should be named C and it will cause problems if it isn't The thing is both Windows and Linux are operating fine I've installed several apps and drivers into XP and with no problem Will having XP on G instead of C cause me problems down the road I don't want to get knee deep in reinstalling all of my drivers and apps to find out I'll have to go through it again

A:[SOLVED] Boot Drive Letter Assignment

Hi bdemonbr,

I presume that when you reinstalled Windows? you still had the secondary Drive connected...

The only way that you will be able to get Windows? back as the C: Drive is to either try booting it without the Fedora Drive connected, and see if it will revert back to C: on boot up...if not, you'll have to use "Boot N Nuke" again and start afresh...This time make sure that the Fedora Drive is disconnected.

In the event that Windows? does revert the "Windows?" Drive back to C:, you will need to connect the Fedora Drive as a 'Slave' so that you can reallocate its Drive letter.

Kind Regards,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-boot-drive-letter-assignment-252171.html