Windows Support Forum

Programs not closing

Q: Programs not closing

Some programs (currently hl.exe is doing it :/) are just not closing right. I end them with task manager and they dissappear from everywhere but Task manager, where they stay no matter how many times i click end process. I tried through command prompt, it said it terminated the process, but it just stays in the task manager process list. I also tried through EndItAll, which told me it didn't have permission to kill the program.

Im currently using XP SP2...

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Programs not closing

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Programs not closing

hl.exe is a half life executable. Go into your options in the game and see if there is an option to enable/disable auto updates etc.. make sure all options for things relating to HL running at startup are disabled... it could just be memory leak, are you current with all patches/updates for your game?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/programs-not-closing.366689/
Relevancy 20.64%

I ll try slow respond are Programs to to explain this the best I can A computer that I have not the one listed in any Programs are slow to respond of my sigs is having a little issue Programs are slow to respond Sometimes Programs are slow to respond when I turn on the computer I will open up a program the program will open but it s like it opens in slow motion as the program opens you see it slowly go into its open state You actually see it opening I know you can always somewhat see a program open but this is like it is in slow motion It does this for all the programs that I open and close This will actually go away later or sometimes if I restart it When I go into the bios the bios is very choppy It is an ASRock board and when I contacted them they said to reset the bios When I did it helped but now it is doing it again I have reset the bios again and it helped again the other day but now it is doing it again Does this sound like a bios problem Does anyone seem to know I don t know how else I could explain what is happening It is an ASRock Z Pro AMD XFX Vid card GSkill ripjaws memory Xeon E - V Corsair TX PSU Windows Pro nbsp

A:Programs are slow to respond

Slower response indicates the issue of bad memory allocation which is related with multitasking.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-are-slow-to-respond.206144/
Relevancy 30.1%

Normally, 99.999% of the time I just shut it down completely but I'd like to know what "sleep" means?
Does that mean if I do so, upon opening the lid it'll be where I left it at?
I notice in Control Panel>Power Options>System Settings whether its on battery or plugged in , it shows sleep.

A:Choose What closing the lid does?

I recommend sleeping the laptop if you are gonna use it after you close it within the next few hours. Otherwise shut it down.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/choose-what-closing-the-lid-does.196755/
Relevancy 20.21%

So, I recently bought an Asus UX31a running windows 8(in may) and it was working perfectly until a couple months ago. The only browser that works is internet explorer, which is disgusting (I miss Google Chrome) and several programs such as Adobe reader, Google drive, steam and visual studio either lag for about 5 mins each whenever I want to use them (or click something in them), or I have to close them with the task manager because they aren't responding...(This includes when I want to open pdf documents in internet explorer.

I've run several virus checks with ESET smart security which hasn't ever found any viruses...

It would be a great help if anybody could help me find what the problem is.

A:Multiple programs are stopping to work, also, I don't appear to have had or ever have a virus.

Try using a new Windows Restore point. This may not work because of "it was working perfectly until a couple months ago"... It is most likely caused from a stubborn malware infection other than a virus

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multiple-programs-are-stopping-to-work-also-i-dont-appear-to-have-had-or-ever-have-a-virus.196063/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello, I'm David, and I am having problems with packet loss. I usually use internet to watch videos, play some games and what not, but recently I started experiencing lags. I googled it up, and then tried to see if my pc had packet loss (pinged google.com -t). I had a 6% packet loss. Then I tried it on my other pc (it is connected to the same router and is half a meter away from other one). It had 0% packed loss. Then I remembered that recently I downloaded some programs and stuff on the pc with the packet loss. Could it be the cause of my packet loss? Thank you to all who at least read my delema.

A:Internet packed loss. (Could it be a programs fault?)

What Router brand and model are you using?
Are you connected wired or wireless?
Are you connected 100mbps or 1.0 Gbps.
Have you upgraded the firmware on the router lately?
Also have you upgraded the drivers on the PCs network cards?
Have you ever power cycled the power on the router or modem?
Any switches connected to the router? If so, try a different port.
Have you tried a different port on the router?

Packet loss in a router means the router started degrading on the ports side.
Device could be overheating or just have duff ports (bad)
In your case you can also.

1. Backup config settings in the Router
2. Do a Factory Reset will wipe all prior settings out
3. Restore Backup config settings in the Router

If all was tried you should consider replacing the router only as option though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-packed-loss-could-it-be-a-programs-fault.194386/
Relevancy 17.63%

I did some general maintenance on a friend's computer: -

Ran Ccleaner
Removed old out of date antivirus installed new one, updated it, ran it and removed 1 threat
Turned off startup programs
Adjusted appearance for best performance

Didn't do anything major and nothing I wouldn't normally do.

Her computer runs a lot better now but has chipmunk audio problem I'm going to take a look but I'm thinking: -

Drivers
Direct X
Settings in realtek (or equiv.)

Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

A:Windows XP Chipmunk audio all programs and Windows sounds

Are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-chipmunk-audio-all-programs-and-windows-sounds.186534/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi all,

I have been checking some stats of my computer to run some of the new games, and to my surprise I have found that although 4 x 1024mb sticks have been installed in the computer only 3338mb's show up. I am using Win XP. I was expecting for 4gb to be present.

So is there a windows program that will allow me to test each ram stick without me having to go in to the computer pulling them out individually?

Thanks in advance.

A:Programs to check bad mem sticks?

Because XP is a 32-bit operating system it can only recognize and utilize 3.25 gigs of RAM. It takes a 64-bit operating system lo to recognize and utilize a full 4 gigs of memory or more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-to-check-bad-mem-sticks.171403/
Relevancy 20.21%

The warranty on my computer is about to go and I ve been having so many issues with it that it s not worth even trying to call customer support to try to get them to fix it I had to programs lose Want don't computer to want upgrade, replace the motherboard and power supply like months ago for the THIRD time I even put in a new heatsink and cooling fans this time and I m having the same issues all over Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs again If I Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs build a new computer is there a way that I can just transfer Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs the hard drive so I keep my system intact I have all my files backed up on external drives but there s a few programs and software plugins that I can t get again Somewhere in moving I ve moved like three times in the last year I ve lost the discs and can t afford to re-buy the software and I need them for audio and computer graphics work nbsp

A:Want computer upgrade, don't want to lose programs

When booting for the first time your old HDD on a new system, try booting in Safe Mode first. Most of the time this will work, then boot in normal mode.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-computer-upgrade-dont-want-to-lose-programs.169953/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a ati Radeon HD 4650 AGP card and i have the latest driver but its not reading out the temperature(it always says 0 Celsius). So i was wondering if anyone knows any good programs that tell you your graphics card temperature? I have Everest Home Edition which gives the temperature of my cpu, and motherboard but not my gpu. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

A:Video card temp programs

gpu-z

Try gpu-z. Lightweight utility with all the information you need on your gpu.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-temp-programs.163463/
Relevancy 20.21%

The computer specs Packard Bell iMedia P GHz Stock Cooler Asus P S -VM GB DDR RAM one stick is DDR the other is DDR the stick was added recently but the problem was occuring before that BFG GS MB GB IDE HDD IDE DVD-RW XP Home SP The for won't used XP Programs not if open hours on computer problem This is a family machine Programs won't open on XP if computer not used for hours its turned on first thing and turned off at night If we turn it on in the morning and go to use it in the late afternoon after not being used for a few hours if we click on a desktop shortcut to load a program it won t load The computer is responsive Programs won't open on XP if computer not used for hours it just won t load any programs If we restart the machine it works fine As far as we can remember this just Programs won't open on XP if computer not used for hours happened all of a sudden a couple of months back with no change we ve done causing it I ve had a look and I can t see any restore points for the or weeks when this problem started Things we ve done Virus scan with Virgin Media Security and Stinger no viruses Attempted System Restore no points to go back to around the time this started happening Any ideas I can t think of much without reinstalling which realistically isn t feasible at the moment nbsp

A:Programs won't open on XP if computer not used for hours

turn off hibernate.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-wont-open-on-xp-if-computer-not-used-for-hours.157813/
Relevancy 19.78%

Ever since setting up broadband at home from randomly? certain drop connection Can programs to seemingly Internet cause time to time on a daily basis the internet Can certain programs cause Internet connection to drop seemingly randomly? connection would cut out for no more than seconds We have three computers connected to the wireless here and when these random cut outs occur we are all still connected to the router Local only Can certain programs cause Internet connection to drop seemingly randomly? At first I put this problem down to just a bad choice of ISP but then one of the house-mates went away for a week and during that time we experianced no internet cut outs at all I had my laptop on for at least days in a row non-stop monitoring drops and there were none As soon as our rd housemate returned home we started having these drops again So my question is what are the possible reasons for these cut outs Could it simply be down to using more bandwidth when the of us are all connected or are there any known perhaps malicious programs that may cause such occurances We have an unlimited internet package but I am pretty sure it is something to do with this rd pc as at times when one of the other are not functioning we stil have the drops nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-certain-programs-cause-internet-connection-to-drop-seemingly-randomly.157656/
Relevancy 21.07%

Programs do not use much RAM? [SOLVED]

EDIT: SOLVED
My programs do not use as much ram as i would like them to. For example Mafia 2 when running only uses 800Mb out of 4gb ( around 2400 available.) It is also the case for allmost every memory-intensive program, i am running in 32 bit. would switching to x64 help? or is there a software or tweak available to help ? Any advice is much appreciated.

A:Programs do not use much RAM?

You cna download a program called "Cleanmem" that will go throught he programs in the taskmanager and work out what programs are not currently being used and reduce the memory usage that they are using and INCREASE the memeory for programs that are running but to be honest if you are not seeing a lag in your program it should be fine.

If you have 2400Mb of memory availabel and its only using 800Mb then the program only requires that memory to run properly. As long as you have free memeory then if the program requires more emmeory if will use it.

Cleanmem is a free program.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-do-not-use-much-ram.155532/
Relevancy 20.64%

greetings, yesterday when i try to remove a program in my laptop i notice a black color space in between my add/remove items and wonder what this mean, its just so annoying cause i need to scroll down longer just to find my program i want to remove

please explain what is that black thing, any advice or comments is much appreciated
hope its not something serious , my laptop is working accordingly except with that black thing..........

A:Black add or remove programs

Have you installed all the current Windows updates, including any graphics or other hardware updates?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-add-or-remove-programs.154999/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hello All,
I have two printers that I like to dedicate one of them to print a form that I have in form of PDF, ow can i make that my only printer that would print that one page all the time.
thank you very much .
JON

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/printer-multiple-programs.154712/
Relevancy 20.21%

i am building a new computer and i have a a small laptop that i am using for my school work.
But i want to copy all of the con-tense of my laptops hard drive onto a SATA hard drive.

I am looking for a program that will copy all of its con tense onto another hard drive with no problems. so all i do is shove the SATA hard drive into my PC and i will have complete duplicate of my laptop, both fully functional

Is there any program that can do this for me?
Please post a link of a program that can do this in a reply

Please Reply ASAP

Sorry is you do not understand, im not good with my english

A:Is there programs that copies your whole hard drive

You could obviously have your personal files on the PC, but you'd never be able to (without much headache!) run the OS on your pc thats been installed on your laptop.

You would have the same files to begin with, but without copying them backwards and forwards nonstop you really couldn't keep the files the same.

A much better idea if you need the files available on your PC and laptop is to purchase a external drive, and move all your personal files onto that - That way you just plug it into whatever computer your using and you have them to hand.

I got around the problem myself by using a 1GB drive in my PC, and and allowing my laptops access to this drive, so regardless of which laptop I use, or the PC I'm always using the most up to date documents. I chose this because keeping them all updated across several computers turned into a nightmare in the end. This solution suits me much better.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-there-programs-that-copies-your-whole-hard-drive.150932/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi I bought a new laptop and it has a problem i discovered I cannot return games/programs in crashes screen 3d powerful laptop full at a the laptop as it already past the returning date days The problem is discovered last week after i installed lots of games My laptop crashes at full screen mode on any games i installed At first I blamed the game but after installing lots of games and tried every single one of them age of empires medieval tw COD black and white red alert etc After 3d games/programs crashes at full screen in a powerful laptop this I also tried to use some d programs like the ones built with the latest Nvidia SDK with Direct 3d games/programs crashes at full screen in a powerful laptop d and still crashes The crash to be specific is almost a crash to desktop CTD BUT weirdly it loads itself back and then loops again more like alt tabing when ur in game it s not sticky keys However the d programs like the one in NVIDIA 3d games/programs crashes at full screen in a powerful laptop doesn t alt tabs it s a complete crash and the windows will then try to resolve it which fails It s a bit powerful laptop and here are my specs Windows Home Prem bit Core duo t ghz gb ram ddr gb Nvidia Geforce gt m Supported by PhysX but Games requires DirectX so I installed it Would it clash I dont think so coz you can turn off the physX gpu and i tried that tb HDD Now the things that I have tried are Update install my video card driver chipset and was going to update my BIOS which is the latest so that s why i did not Installed the directX SDK and even tried the Direct x c I even clean up my system by reinstalling windows and everything I don t think it is a compatibility issues as I ve played these games on a different laptop with the exact same system my first laptop before I exchange it for it is has a faulty keyboard and same windows As you can see I am getting bad luck from where I bought my laptop Yes it is a refurbished laptop from a big name retail store I already contacted the Manufacturer and they couldn t help me because it involves third party software However I told them that I highly believe it is a hardware issue and the sick bastards replied with ask for advice from your local technician Wth I well try to settle a score with them tomorrow but for now I want your expertises nbsp

A:3d games/programs crashes at full screen in a powerful laptop

make sure all vents and fan intakes are not blocked, download and run HWMonitor and run a game and tell use all the min and max temps

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/3d-games-programs-crashes-at-full-screen-in-a-powerful-laptop.144224/
Relevancy 20.21%

http www techspot com vb topic not Internet others connect, but can will Explorer-based programs html Internet Explorer-based programs will not connect, but others can This thread shows my computer is completely clean of any malware or viruses Certain applications that use the same Internet Explorer-based programs will not connect, but others can ports I guess or something of that sort Internet Explorer-based programs will not connect, but others can as Internet Explorer cannot connect Some of my internet applications work some don t For instance World of warcraft cannot connect and it uses the same ports as internet explorer I can use firefox and a lot of other applications but when I try to use internet explorer Which I never do I just want to play WoW It comes up with quot Cannot find Make sure the path or internet address is correct quot It won t load any page you try to connect to giving you the same error message every time The same thing happens when I try to launch WoW It says the same message except with the launcher page link as the one that it can t connect to I type it into my firefox browser and it worked fine so that shows that my router is not blocking their servers This is very annoying and I would love to get it fixed Thanks EDIT It happens with ANY game that loads a page through internet explorer And LAN Settings are all unchecked for Proxy and I ve tried resetting it multiple times both with no effect nbsp

A:Internet Explorer-based programs will not connect, but others can

Bump. I want this to get fixed veryyyy badly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-explorer-based-programs-will-not-connect-but-others-can.149791/
Relevancy 20.21%

This has happened to me quite a few times now. I have downloaded and run Regenie and Spybot and it keeps coming up with Mirar but says it cannot remove them.
I am attaching a HJT log. I would much appreciate some help with this as I have no idea what else to do.
Thanks all

A:Talking playing through headset, no programs running

Read this:
http://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/how-do-i-uninstall-mirar-toolbar/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/talking-playing-through-headset-no-programs-running.139297/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have a Dell Inspiron 1318.

When I try to open programs, they will either not open at all or they will have a spot in the taskbar but there is no window open.

For example, itunes will not open at all.
I suspect a virus, so I've downloaded some programs from my other laptop (CCleaner as one) and when I open setup, the program will be in the taskbar but there is no window open, so it won't install.

Any suggestions?

Edit: When I turn it on, it will go past the Dell loading screen and then the screen will turn black for a very, very long time, then it will get past it and turn on.

There was also a time where something similar to the "welcome screen" (of vista) would show up but it would be gray/black.

It also takes a very long time to get into safemode.

A:Some Programs Won't Open

Can you boot to Safe Mode?
If so, install and run MalwareBytes or other antispyware, and antivirus software in Safe Mode. Many will not run, but some will do a good job.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/some-programs-wont-open.134672/
Relevancy 20.21%

That monitors your server and network activities? thank you if anyone could recommend me some.

A:Best anti-virus programs that monitors servers?

McAfee Anti-virus Security is the best one. It monitors the websites and you can block certain websites too, you can also choose whether to perform full scans or quick scans. It quarantines and tracks cookies & it also prevent hacking from all around the world

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-anti-virus-programs-that-monitors-servers.133475/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a Gateway p- fx laptop with vista up Right programs menu on click keep popping some option and keep having this problem with a right click menu pop up Right click menu option keep popping up on some programs on programs like winamp opera and hardware configuration On certain Right click menu option keep popping up on some programs programs a right click menu will pop up non stop and i cant use the program at all The laptop keyboard doesnt work after I spilt coke on the keyboard so I use a usb keyboard After that it started having this popup menu Right click menu option keep popping up on some programs or key mapping issues with emulators For some emulator programs it will automatically map a button called AppKey and i cant configure buttons with a usb to psx converted joypad on them This also happened on other programs that i used but probably forgot about them and deleted them I tried looking up everything i could to disable a right click menu or appkey but couldnt find anything Tried deleting a window key registry all i could find looking up appkey disabling in vista Tried disabling the touchpad I don t think its any kind of virus or spyware i never detect anything i had pictures of what happens but i need more posts so i cant show them nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/right-click-menu-option-keep-popping-up-on-some-programs.131350/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi,
my DVD-R/CD-RW drive is not being recognized in my recording programs and media player. If I right click the
drive itself, it shows that it is working fine and that windows recognize it as a recording drive. However,
neither Media Player nor Nero recognizes that there is a drive. Nero keeps trying to create images, not burn a CD / DVD.
It worked fine in the past.

A:DVD-R/CD-RW drive is not being recognized in my recording programs

reload driver..

I would reload the driver for the dvd writer; that driver could be corrupted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-r-cd-rw-drive-is-not-being-recognized-in-my-recording-programs.128543/
Relevancy 20.21%

I bought a new computer and did not realize I was not buying Word, etc - just a 30 day trial or some such thing. So I need to know how to move my programs from my old computer to my new one. My daughter moved all my files but now I have a KVM switch (or something like that) hooked up so I can go from one computer to the other when I need to use a program that is on the old one but not the new one. That doesn't look so great having two towers side by side, so I want to reduce to just the new one but cannot until all the programs I have installed on this one are moved to the new one. help!

A:Transferring programs from one hard drive to another

For most programs that are complicated like Office you can't. When things get installed a bunch of registry entries are made making simple copying of programs over impossible. You should be allowed to re-install Office to the new computer though (legally even) if you promise to remove it from your old one. If you have the student version, you can legally have that on up to 3 computers at once I believe.

If you are only a casual user of all the Microsoft Office programs and don't have or are for whatever reason unable to install (don't have disks ect) to the new computer, you could get OpenOffice and use that. It is mostly compatible with MS Office (can open and save to MS Office files), and is free. Available at www.openoffice.org

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transferring-programs-from-one-hard-drive-to-another.128517/
Relevancy 20.64%

So I was trying to help my brother out with his laptop which is really slow. The thing is, he's got two disks, the C: and the D: and the C: is only for Windows files while the D: is only used for programs and other files.
My brother (Who doesn't know much about PC's) has installed every program on the C: Drive so now it has only got 2,66 Gb left out of 35,0 Gb. I was thinking of moving the installed programs from the C: drive to the D: drive, is this possible without corrupting any files?
I tried to Ctrl+X one folder, but I got a message which told me that the program might stop working correctly.

A:Moving programs to another drive

First, you almost certainly don't have 2 HDDs on a laptop. "C" & "D" are just partitions of the same drive. If "C:/" @ 35GBs is almost full, no wonder the laptop is slow, since more than likely there are too many programs running at startup. There is also the possibility of "malware" infections, which are notorious for making machines run very slow.

If you want to put some programs on the "D/" drive, you must uninstall them, and reinstall to the new location. Programs have "DLL"s and system registry entries that are file paths of their own, and just moving a program folder breaks these links.

My best advice is to uninstall those that you are not using, and run "msconfig" Start > Run > "msconfig" (without the quotes). There are also "startup managers" available that can guide you & do this for you . "Spybot SD16" is an anti-spyware program that has a startup manager in it's tools section. I always install it for that as much as the security aspect.

You can download this from "Safer-networking"; http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/moving-programs-to-another-drive.127989/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have recently upgraded most of my computer and it is now locking up when I run most programs Its done this while playing WoW Fallout and simply being online with Firefox Strangely enough I haven t had any problems with Freelancer yet Originally I had Foxconn M PMX-S mobo Intel P gb Don t remember the model x gb cosair ddr Radeon x mb hec ACE- UB W psu sata hdd s gb gb dvdr drive ethernet card WInXP o s I didn t have problems with the old build but it was getting old I got the new video card and put it in with no problems on the old build and a week later replaced the rest of the parts I now have Gigabyte EP T-UD LR mobo Intel Core Quad Q GH x gb corsair ddr running up when most Computer freezes when programs Radeon gb Same psu Same hdd s Same dvdr Same ethernet card Same o s I didn t reinstall windows and everything else when i changed mobos but this wasn t a problems for anything in the past Just Computer freezes up when when running most programs uninstalled old drivers installed new ones There shouldn t be any overheating issues either Computer freezes up when when running most programs both the bios and speedfan show it to idle in the c s and under c while loaded Nor did I change any clock timings or voltages in the bios with either build I ve read about other people online putting together very similar pc s and I don t see why this shouldn t also work Is there not getting enough power Should I really ininstall windows Did I get bad parts maybe Is there some kind of program to test to see what could be wrong This whole thing has frustrated me and I would appreciate any help I can get at this point nbsp

A:Computer freezes up when when running most programs

"I didn't reinstall windows and everything else when i changed mobos"...

You have got to be kidding! Back up your important data, format and reinstall your operating system fresh. Install the motherboard drivers, and then update Windows completely and then install all other drivers including the new video card...

YOU CANNOT CHANGE ALL THAT HARDWARE WITHOUT INSTALLING WINDOWS FRESH!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-freezes-up-when-when-running-most-programs.124264/
Relevancy 30.1%

Hi all,
I have a Toshiba Satellite A300-1EI laptop. My question is when I close the screen of the laptop, does the system stop working or is it that the screen simply goes off?
And if I have a task running like virus scan, copying files, or a download scheduler is running, are these tasks stopped or do they still go on even after just closing the screen?
Is this common with laptops of all brands?

thanks
saif

A:What does closing the screen actually do?

Hibernation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernate_(OS_feature)
Lots of excellent info there

But all processes (Virus scan; copying .. etc) will pause, until you open the lid again

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-does-closing-the-screen-actually-do.123407/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have purchased a new laptop. The OS is Windows XP Service Pack2. The laptop I have now has Window XP Service Pack3. I have a couple questions about moving to this new computer.

1) Should I update to Service Pack3 before doing anything else?
2) I have an external hard drive that I use Acronis True Image Home 2009 to back up my hard drive onto. Is there a way to only backup the programs I want to and then move them to the new computer? Or is it better to reinstall these programs from CD's?
3) Also is there anything I haven't thought of that I should do with the new computer before transferring my old applications?

If you need any of the technical information from my new laptop or old laptop please let me know. Thank you in advance for all your help.

A:Re: Copying programs to new computer

1. Yes update to SP3, before doing any extra program install
Actually I removed my Antivirus software (after a full scan first of course) and firewall (let alone standard other programs) before installing SP3

Note: Also do all the further Windows Security updates after SP3 as well

2. It's better to reinstall these programs from CDs (moving programs is possible, but extremely difficult, and certainly never advised to do)
Actually, you really shhould download the most up to date versions of the programs first (if available)

3. Yes. Make a backup image of it first
Actually, you probably received a restore CD, or image on a hidden Disk partition, that'll be fine

By the way, before transferring anything, make sure you have an Antivirus installed (I recommend the free Avira Antivirus
You may want to do a full defrag too, if there are a few gigs of stuff coming over, or to be installed

I think that answers everything

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/re-copying-programs-to-new-computer.121473/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello I am new and very much a non-techie but I am endeavoring to learn I have an HP Pavilion zd laptop programs won't external DVD recognize Software burner w MS Windows XP Media Center version w Service Pak My internal DVD player has been kaput for some time now To watch DVDs I use an external DVD player burner that is a Pioneer DVR X- The external DVD CD player writer reads anything It plays DVDs Software programs won't recognize external DVD burner using Nero software which came w the player or it can use the Inter Video Win DVD program that came with my computer The external DVD player will burn CDs using iTunes However I want to burn DVDs I used to burn them using Media Center however Media Center only looks for DVDs in my kaput internal writer How can I get it to acknowledge my wonderful external player I have the same problem with Roxio and Record Now two very good programs that used to work when my internal drive actually worked They do not recognize my external player If I can give you more helpful information please let me know I can give you more system specs but I honestly don t know where to get that iformation I thank you for your Software programs won't recognize external DVD burner response nbsp

A:Software programs won't recognize external DVD burner

Hi

why not just buy a new internal DVD writer, they only cost a few quid and are easy to fit.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/software-programs-wont-recognize-external-dvd-burner.118594/
Relevancy 20.64%

So one day im on my office computer and do the regular thing browse on Firefox or play a game or two Computer Closes Programs and i turn it off The next morning i try to play some World of Warcraft and in about Computer Closes Programs min in the game i get a Critical error message for World of Warcraft So i decide to go on Firefox and look up the error and about min later i get that windows error that says Firefox encountered a serious problem and the SEND or DON T SEND option I restart my computer and try it again and i get the same error This also goes for any of my games or browsers i try to use which close with a error message in min or my computer just restarts I tried Disk Defragment i tried using windows system restore and my firewall nor my AVG detect a virus Please help me with this problem System Specs Windows XP Home Edition ATI mb AGP MSI Motherboard gig x Kingston RAM Creative Sound Blaster Live -bit sound card gb Maxtor Hard Drive nbsp

A:Computer Closes Programs

I also tried using different Anti-Virus programs also spyware programs like Ad-Aware

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-closes-programs.117960/
Relevancy 19.78%

This has happened to me twice in the past three hours.
I'm aware my dad opened some attachment to an email he shouldn't have.
I cleared all that out via Mcafee/Ad-Aware/Registry Mechanic.

But now there's random intervals of what sounds like a canadian radio station lasting about 5 minutes.

Here is my HJT scan thingy.
I have no idea what to do with it?

Anything is appreciated, thanks. :]

A:Radio station playing through headset, no programs running

HijackThis v1.99.1Click to expand...

Please un-install your old version of HJT then...

Have a look at:

UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/radio-station-playing-through-headset-no-programs-running.117685/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a Toshiba Satellite X205-SLi1. This morning i turned it on and it took an abnormal amount of time to boot up. I am unable to access any of the "system maintanance" progams (Control Panel, Task Manager etc). Other software programs will open, but then instantly start "Not Responding". The laptop gets stuck on "Logging Off" when attempt to shutdown or restart. I am unable to run my virus software. I tried to run Defrag and Disk Cleanup, neither will run. I am not the smartest person when it comes to computers, so any help anyone can offer will be geatly appreciated.

I am unable to connect to the internet for some reason too. Right Clicking on computer icon on bottom bar and clicking "Connect to a Network" freezes my computer.

A:Programs Not Responding, Task Manager won't open

You probably have a hard drive failing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-not-responding-task-manager-wont-open.116622/
Relevancy 20.64%

I just moved out from my parents house, and I'm trying to set myself up comfortable. To conserve a bit of space, and for convinience I'd like to hook up another monitor for TV mainly, which could then be consta-showing tv (mediacenter) while the other monitor is showing whatever it is I'm doing on my PC.

I'm not very advanced with computers, so I'd like to know if it's possible to hook up two monitors on one PC and have them display two different programs, mainly TV broadcast off of the mediacenter on the other, and everything else on the other i.e normal desktop work, games etc.

Also, if this is doable, what would I need exactly to make this happen, software, wiring and hardware wise?

it's cable tv, if that matters.

A:One PC, two monitors, two programs

if you want to hook cable TV to your PC you will need a TV tuner card of some sort. If your video card has 2 connections on it you can hook 2 monitor up to it as well and use the extended desktop features in Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/one-pc-two-monitors-two-programs.114473/
Relevancy 20.21%

im trying to install a program on to my computer that i just downloaded but one of my partitions is full so i saved it to my other partition which has 98 gigs left so it downloaded fine but i couldnt get it to install it just said that the drive was full although it has plenty of space on the hard drive.

if anyone could get me an answer i would appreciate it greatly.

btw im using vista ultimate 64, idk if that has anything to do with it

thanx again......

A:Saving and installing programs on different partition

The partition that is full is causing the fault (still)
It probably needs to copy some install files to there, or maybe the PageFile or even temporary files needs to increase.
Therefore the full Partition is the concern

You could start by running CCleaner (a little be more space gone, to install this!)
Or just start cleaning up (deleting/and or moving data out of the full Partition)

Then try the install again (some installs require gigs of free space, it all depends on the program you are installing)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/saving-and-installing-programs-on-different-partition.112216/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi....I've recently seen a new problem on my XP system. When I click on ANY desktop program, the only thing that opens is the property menu of that application. If I reboot, everything is fine...but I may have to reboot several times a day. I did a complete clean up...registry, antivirus, defender, spybot checking for any problems but that didn't seem to help. Any suggestions? jjwalker007

A:Can't Open Programs

It's usually the right click "Open" command (context menu) missing
But rebooting shouldn't fix that

You did run all AntiVirus/Spyware tests fully?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-open-programs.108916/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello How s everyone doing I find EMachines won't after installing boot programs computer myself faced with a weird problem I purchased a factory refurbished eMachines EMachines computer won't boot after installing programs computer about months ago I only took it out of the box about weeks ago and proceeded to get it to work I haven t had a problem with it until today I EMachines computer won't boot after installing programs installed programs and now EMachines computer won't boot after installing programs the machine won t boot FYI system details are as follows eMachines T AMD Athlon X processor with GB of RAM running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Today the machine was working perfectly Then I installed Nero Ultra Edition which required a restart No problems Then I installed iTunes with Quicktime and the machine still appeared fine Then I noticed that the optical drive wouldn t eject manually I tried ejecting via software but found that the drive wasn t there It wasn t being recognized by Windows Earlier today I used it without a problem So I shut down the system and tried to turn it back on That s when I hit the big problem It stayed stuck on the eMachines screen black screen with a big quot e quot and the quot Boot Options quot and quot BIOS Setup quot choices I tried pressing F for boot options and F for BIOS to no avail So I turned off the computer and tried again This time I just left it alone for a while It took about minutes but the computer moved on from the eMachines screen on to a black screen saying the following MediaShield ROM BIOS Copyright C NVIDIA Corp Detecting array No matter what I do it won t go any further I tried pressing either F or F immediately after turning the machine on but it doesn t work I tried contacting eMachines support but they won t help me unless I pay their ridiculously high support fees since the computer is out of warranty Does anyone have any suggestions I need to at least be able to boot in safe mode to restore my machine back to what it was before I installed those two programs I have a feeling it may have something to do with Nero rather than iTunes Nero has that virtual drive feature Couldn t that interfere with the boot Thank you all in advance for your help with this problem Best regards Fred Armando nbsp

A:EMachines computer won't boot after installing programs

The hard drive may be bad... If you know how to check it or replace it, good. If you don't have this knowledge, you will have to take it to a repair shop

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/emachines-computer-wont-boot-after-installing-programs.106903/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi guys. Im not sure what to do here. Im using Q9450 cpu, evga 9800gx2 gpu and asus striker ii 790i mobo.

Recently ive been trying to encode video using Convertxtodvd but it always crashed after about 5 mins. I switched to TMPG dvd author and all was fine i could encode my video.

Today i installed Crysis on my pc. It froze after about 10 mins of playing it. Restarted the comp and loaded it up again for it to crash after about 20 mins of playing.

Im not really sure what to do. Not sure if its my hardware or software. Im using vista 32bit but i tried installing windows xp pro and the same freezes occured. I would be grateful for any help! thnx!

A:Frequent freezes using certain programs!

Open up the case and try playing the game. if the system freezes, try replacing or upgrading the power supply

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/frequent-freezes-using-certain-programs.104844/
Relevancy 20.64%

Right well I OC'd my e6300 from the stock 1.86 to 2.45 and I was just looking at temperatures. I got speedfan and HWMonitor they seem to disagree on the temp of my CPU. Speedfan will say its 15 lower than what HWMonitor says it is.

Can anybody tell me which program is accurate or if neither what program is?

But they agree on all the other temperatures, GPU, mobo, HDD, etc

A:CPU Temperature reportting different in different programs.

What does PC Wizard say? http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cpu-temperature-reportting-different-in-different-programs.98948/
Relevancy 19.78%

I have been working on a (Text/Graphics) Contents Fit Some Programs of Don't in Software Window strangle problem on my wife s Gateway ROG with Windows XP service pack for quite some time Some programs do not fit inside of the windows For example the Epson printer software graphics and text are cut off by the right side Contents of Some Software Programs (Text/Graphics) Don't Fit in Window of the window of which they appear and the user can not see the entirety of Contents of Some Software Programs (Text/Graphics) Don't Fit in Window the contents and hence can not select and click much less see options on what should be the right side of the window SuperAnti-Spyware Free edition also does the same thing Apparently for whatever reason these two software programs display their contents inside a window differently than most other software programs which are not displayed correctly inside their respective windows Contents of Some Software Programs (Text/Graphics) Don't Fit in Window For the record this used not to be a problem I have tried re-installing the Epson printer software the printer works fine I have also tried removing and reinstalling the video device driver software This does not work either It is a ATI Mobility Radeon Advice is greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Contents of Some Software Programs (Text/Graphics) Don't Fit in Window

Could it be that your display resolutions are wrong?

i doubt it has anything to do with your epson software, since it happens with others..

The normal resolution you should keep your monitors at is to the highest supported by both monitor and graphics card. DPI however, can be altered, found under the advanced properties (display properties>Settings>Advanced..) of your graphics card. Try altering that to the Normal setting and see if it makes a difference..

have you also tried getting the latest software updates available for your graphics card and others you have problem with?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/contents-of-some-software-programs-text-graphics-dont-fit-in-window.99471/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have a Compaq Presario SR1520NX with a 754 socket. I currently have a AMD sempron 3100+ 1.8GHz processor and was planning on getting an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz Processor. The problem is that when I run my system under system requirements lab it says that my processor is rated at 3.10 GHz, this throws me off a bit because the requirement for the game would say 2.8GHz and mine would pass since its "rated" at 3.10GHz even though its a 1.8GHz. Now if I were to buy the 2.4GHz one, will it be rated even higher or no? Basically would the one that I want to get run programs and games better then the one I currently have. and if I do change processors will my performance be enhanced by a lot or will I bearly notice it?
Thank you for your time.

A:Which processor will run programs better on my pc.

I believe you will notice a difference.

But you may also need to look at your Ram (How much Ram is installed ?)

As for the game ratings, well MS says windows can run on 128Meg, but would you ?

These minimum requirements are usually below minimum in my view.

You may wish to download System Specs to find out what you have.
Although this does not show your Power Supply maximum rating ( marked inside the case )

Also before doing anything it is advised to download the computers manual, to find out what the maximum size CPU you can put into that computer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-processor-will-run-programs-better-on-my-pc.97362/
Relevancy 19.78%

hello ppl i need some help here, recently i upgraded from a AMD 3800+ cpu and biostar Geforce 6100 motherboard and 7300gt DDR2 256mb TO a Intel E6850 core 2 Duo 3.ghz cpu and the motherboard to a ASUS P5N-E SLI and the gfx card to a 8600gt DDR3 256MB, i had to reinstall windows which i did, i reinstalled the motherborads drivers and reinstalled my gfx card drivers but now every program, game, application, internet, crashes to the desktop with a error msg sayin this program had to be ended sorry for the inconveince and so on pls i really need help with this i dont really know much about computers. here are my full new specs.

intel E6850 core 2 Duo 3.ghz cpu
1500mb DDR2 ram
450 watt power supply
P5N-E SLI ASUS motherboard.
8600GT GFX Card 256mb DDR3
windows xp pro sp2

any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:All games and programs crash after new mother board and cpu installed.

did you update the bios and appropriate drivers?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/all-games-and-programs-crash-after-new-mother-board-and-cpu-installed.97020/
Relevancy 20.64%

Ok, I have been looking for ways to add programs to my U3 thumbdrive start menu list. I have tons of programs on the drive, but want to be able to access them from the quickstart U3 application.

I have searched a bit, but found nothing extremely useful. Anyone got any suggestions? Besides go download things from the U3 website :rolleyes:

A:U3 USB Drive...Add Programs To List

You should try the Shourtcut Creator 4U3. Download from http://usb.smithtech.us/projects/shortcut_creator.php

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/u3-usb-drive-add-programs-to-list.62510/
Relevancy 20.64%

good day.

Im a graphic artist, and I recently assembled a pc

specs:

MSI P6N SLI V2
intel c2d 2.33 conroe( i think)
3 GIG KINGSTON PC6400
INNO 3D 76OO GT 512 DDR2
80 GIG SATA( OS)
80 GIG IDE( PROGRAMS / TEMPS)
DUKE CASING.

i know i need to add one more memory to make use of dual channel on the motherboard or i can remove the 1 gig.

Programs I usually use.... photoshop, bryce 3d, and planning to use 3d max and sketchup.

i still have a 160 gig ide that i have not yet connected yet that I will use for the scracth disk and files that i will save.

Question is.. is this set enough for me...

should I change the memories to ocz 2 gig kits?
what is the best cooler for the processor..( dont want to use the water things)

should I change the motherboard.

any comment will be appreciated..

Thanks in advance

A:Is my set up Good for my programs

Use 2gigs of RAM (or 2 1 gig sticks and 2 512s for 3gigs in dual channel) if you are using Vista or XP 32bit. Use 4gigs if you are using the 64bit versions of those OSes.

You should be fine with that hardware.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-set-up-good-for-my-programs.96541/
Relevancy 20.21%

i had an error message come up on my new hard drive( lost fat 32 file )or corrupt.i tried repairing and ran windows xp new install but still wouldnt boot up.so i installed it on my second hard drive and got my computer working.now my problem is trying to move files and programs and make my new hard drive the boot drive with operating system without losing anything.

A:Need help transfer files an programs to another harddrive

Hi j frank l, and Welcome.

To access technical support you will need to go to HERE and post your question again (you could just copy your original message) into the appropriate forum for your problem.

This forum is for introductions only as stated above:

Do NOT post your Computer Questions/Problems in this ForumClick to expand...

Your technical questions will then be responded to.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-transfer-files-an-programs-to-another-harddrive.95664/
Relevancy 20.21%

right, ive posted threads about this a few times yet no help. perhaps its too hard for you guys but il try you.

basically, my computer doesn't connect to any programs....

msn, remote assistance, updates

NOTHING except IE and limewire.

It gets error messages for 'no internet connection' etc.
I dont kno what the **** to do.... can anyone help ive had this for about a year now, and I kind of want msn and other programs to work..

and btw, dont say do a virus scan, coz my AV (mcafee) hasnt been updated since 06 lol. due to no internet connection

HELP will be much appericated

A:internet programs not working (proper problem)

well ... a description of the network devices and system would certainly help.

meanwhile; try looking at this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-programs-not-working-proper-problem.88869/
Relevancy 20.21%

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem im having Its strange because I keep getting write errors when I try to burn cd s with nero and alcohol I try burning like cds and I get the same thing I cant figure out whats wrong because my programs Other with Write Nero error 7 and drive can read cds just fine and the brand i use for the cds ive been using for a while now It s like on day it just stopped working Well i saved the log if it helps Here it is Windows XP IA WinAspi File Wnaspi dll Ver size bytes created PM ahead WinASPI File C Program Files Nero Nero Write error with Nero 7 and Other programs Core Wnaspi dll Ver size bytes created PM NT-SPTI used Nero Version Internal Version Recorder lt MAT A UJ- D gt Version - HA TA - Adapter driver lt IDE gt HA Drive buffer kB Bus Type default - gt ATAPI detected CD-ROM lt MAT A UJ- D gt Version - HA TA - Adapter driver lt IDE gt HA Scsi-Device-Map DiskPeripheral FUJITSU MHU AT atapi Port ID DMA On CdRomPeripheral MAT A UJ- D atapi Port ID DMA On CDRom-Device-Map MAT A UJ- D D CDRom AutoRun Excluded drive IDs WriteBufferSize Byte BUFE Physical memory MB kB Free physical memory MB kB Memory in use Uncached PFiles x Use Inquiry Global Bus Type default Check supported media Disabled CD-ROM ISO PM Text File SCSIPTICommands cpp Line LockMCN - completed sucessfully for IOCTL STORAGE MCN CONTROL PM Text File Isodoc cpp Line Iso document burn settings ------------------------------------------ Determine maximum speed FALSE Simulate FALSE Write TRUE Finalize CD FALSE Multisession TRUE Multisession type Start multisession Burning mode DAO Mode ISO Level Max of char Character set ISO Joliet TRUE Allow pathdepth more than directories TRUE Allow more than characters in path TRUE Write ISO file extensions TRUE PM Text File Burncd cpp Line MAT A UJ- D Buffer underrun protection activated PM ISO GEN - File Geniso cpp Line First writeable address x PM Text File Burncd cpp Line Turn on Disc-At-Once using CD-R RW media PM Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line Last possible write address on media Last address to be written PM Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line Write in overburning mode NO enabled CD PM Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line Recorder MAT A UJ- D CDR code OSJ entry from Ritek Co ATIP Data Special Info hex C F LI F B LO Additional Info hex invalid invalid invalid PM Text File DlgWaitCD cpp Line gt gt gt Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities lt lt lt PM Text File ThreadedTransferInterface cpp Line Setup items after recorder preparation TRM DATA MODE indices index not provided original disc pos relocatable disc pos for caching writing not required required - gt TRM DATA MODE config wanted index blocks length blocks D MAT A UJ- D -------------------------------------------------------------- PM Text File ThreadedTransferInterface cpp Line Prepare D MAT A UJ- D for write in CUE-sheet-DAO DAO infos MCN quot quot TOCType x Session Closed disc not fixated Tracks to Idx Idx Next Trk TRM DATA MODE x FilePos ISRC quot quot DAO layout Start Track Idx CtrlAdr Size NWA RecDep - lead-in x x - x - x x x lead-out x x PM Text File SCSIPTICommands cpp Line SPTILockVolume - completed successfully for FCTL LOCK VOLUME PM Phase File dlgbrnst cpp Line Caching of files started PM Text File Burncd cpp Line Cache writing successful PM Phase File dlgbrnst cpp Line Caching of files completed PM Phase File dlgbrnst cpp Line Burn process started at x KB s PM Text File ThreadedTransferInterface cpp Line Verifying disc position of item relocatable disc pos no patch infos orig at write at PM Text File MMC cpp Line StartDAO CD-Text - Off PM Text File MMC cpp Line Set BUFE Buffer underrun protection - gt ON PM Text File MMC cpp Line CueData Len aa PM Text File Cdrdrv cpp Line - D MAT A UJ- D Queue again later PM SPTI - File SCSIPassThrough cpp Line CdRom SCSIStatus x WinError NeroError - Sense Key x KEY MEDIUM ERROR Sense Code x C Sense Qual x CDB Data x A Sense Area xF D A B C Buffer x cb ec Len x x C A E B C D C x C C A E ED A x B FA B A B... Read more

A:Write error with Nero 7 and Other programs

How old is the burner?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/write-error-with-nero-7-and-other-programs.85794/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello,

I am having a problem. I want to know if it is possible to put windows on my small USB seagate 120G hard drive. I want to put Auto Cad and Photoshop on it an use it at other computers that don't have that software. I don't have money for a laptop at the moment. Hopefully someone can help me. I am a complete ***** at things like this.

A:Using programs from an External Hard Drive

It may be possible, but I doubt it... have never seen it work reliably, although I have seen a lot of good techs try... maybe the latest Windows versions will work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-programs-from-an-external-hard-drive.85025/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hello I have lots of problems with my hard disks CHKDSK finds errors in the values every the and stop that can't installed Hard +programs games disk Crc-errors working be that time in my hard disks even after running a CHKDSK f Also I can t install games from CD DVD s because there comes always quot read error in file x quot or quot unpack error in file x quot or a quot CRC-error occured quot Also corrupt program files almost any program might stop working this happens every day It can be Skype WMP RealPlayer Itunes Mozilla Firefox You name it Even WIN XP self complains about many problems at least once a week I have SP latest updates use a Antivirus firewall and Ad-Aware some other similar programs can t find any problems I had a Samsung harddisk P GB which had these problems then a bought another one because I thought it was broken a WDC hard disk and installed Win XP to that instead but the problems still occured like before What should I do are there any good diagnostic programs Please help me I can t stand the situation anymore With regards a novice My system is Intel C D E Corsair PC DDR Hard disk Crc-errors +programs that stop working and games that can't be installed MB Samsung Spinpoint P GB WDC GB Nec DVD-burner AD NorthQ - Bulk W Gigabyte DS- Powercolor Radeon x Pro EE Hard disk Crc-errors +programs that stop working and games that can't be installed MB Win Xp Home Cooler Master Mystique Viewsonic VA MS Wireless Laser desktop nbsp

A:Hard disk Crc-errors +programs that stop working and games that can't be installed

Sounds like a bad connection.

sellomies said:

I have lots of problems with my hard disks...

Also I can't install games from CD/DVD's...

Also corrupt program files...Click to expand...

From these three factors, my first suspicion is that you have I/O issues. Your drives are probably fine.

If the HD and the CD are on the same IDE cable (assuming these are IDE, you didn't say), I'd check the cable for breaks/burns or just for a bad connection (cable detaching from connector, or not plugged in tightly to the MoBo).

Check your connections... ESPECIALLY to the CD. Any software that was installed from that drive might not have installed properly, and half of your trouble may just be your hard drives reading badly written data.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-crc-errors-programs-that-stop-working-and-games-that-cant-be-installed.84851/
Relevancy 20.21%

I am a tech for a company that deals in point of sale software for cafeterias Recently and inexplicably one of our districts had systems in two locations that would go black screen Monitor light is on all power settings are set to never and only a reboot brings the system back on I appears as if the problem only Programs on blank Screen goes different OS, systems, occurs during operation of the sales software I made sure all updates and patches were applied The district has several cafeterias but only two are having the problem The software is MSSQL based I would normally think this would be strictly in the software except that we just got a call from another district having the same problem But they are using a different sales software Older windows version different hardware Screen goes blank on different systems, OS, Programs but exact same problem None are hooked into Screen goes blank on different systems, OS, Programs the internet and each are servers with one or more slave systems Specs below District Celeron meg ddr integrated p m a video winxp pro sp MSSQL District Celeron meg integrated SIS video Win se nbsp

A:Screen goes blank on different systems, OS, Programs

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Wow!
Delicate situation!
Being the one common thing in both districts is "integrated video"
I would suggest a search for the latest chipset drivers.
It may be as simple as a bad api call not being handled.

Are these touch screens?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-goes-blank-on-different-systems-os-programs.37873/
Relevancy 19.78%

I apologise if this is an inane question, but it's driving me mad!!!
I have recently acquired an external hard drive with the intention of transfering my vast collection of music on to it. I want to transfer Windows Media player to it as well. I have had no problem in moving My Music file to the external drive. However, I cannot seem to copy the whole progam of Windows Media Player on to it, only a shortcut button. I want to ensure that all my music is stored on the external hard drive and in order to play it I think I need the windows media player or simialr on there to. Is this correct? if it is how do I do it???

Thank you

A:Copying programs from laptop tp external hard drive

You only need to move your music files onto the external drive.

You cant move media player as it is part of windows, if you have a library of music in media player then at the moment it will have its location stored as the original place that your files are, if you then move the files you will have to recreate the library and point it to the new storage area (your external drive).

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copying-programs-from-laptop-tp-external-hard-drive.83361/
Relevancy 20.64%

I need to monitor my computer to insure it will not over heat. I have 2 fans in there but it still seems hot. I want some type of software or hardware i can get that will keep me in check of how hot my computer gets so i know when to take action. I want something like a gauge to maintain communication with the temperature.

A:Temperature Programs or Hardware??

try speed fan or Hmonitor.......

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/temperature-programs-or-hardware.82457/
Relevancy 20.21%

can we split ddr2 memory to be use better in some programs>?

and what it is virtual memory, and what is for, and to have better virtual memory what to do?

A:can we split ddr2 memory to be use better in some programs>?

AngelOfLighT said:

can we split ddr2 memory to be use better in some programs>?

and what it is virtual memory, and what is for, and to have better virtual memory what to do?Click to expand...

Hi there. I'm not quite sure what you are asking in your first question.

Virtual memory is exactly that, its not actual RAM memory (DDR & DDR2 etc) it is a section of your harddisk that your OS will use as make-shift memory when you have insufficient RAM memory. This in turn means that it is slower and doesn't perform as well as normal memory, due to your harddisk being much slower write/read than RAM memory.

So, in conclusion, RAM memory > virtual memory, however if you don't have enough RAM memory then you can edit how much virtual memory you would like to have (at least in windows you can, although not sure about Vista).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-we-split-ddr2-memory-to-be-use-better-in-some-programs.79109/
Relevancy 20.64%

im really not happy about this for about months only a few of my programs have connected will internet Some to connect the not programs to the internet My IE and Limewire appear to be the only programs connecting my msn live or any other versions ive tried to install dont work it comes up with error Some programs will not connect to the internet codes which ive solved but it still doesnt work im now using meebo which is a ive tired to download firefox that never connected to the internet going on hotmail doesnt work either it just says page cannot be displayed but it works on all the other computers ive been on My avg didnt update neither does my mcafee it tells me to check for updates then i do and it says internet problems retry it still doesnt work nothing will update its completely screwed ive gathered that it might be something to do with my protocool maybe i looked in my msconfig services and HTTP SSL has been stopped ive ticked and restarted it but its still stopped ive got a belkins g - mbps connecting to a wireless netgear router from a mac adress what the hell do i do ppl plz help me regards fr ddi dead nbsp

A:Some programs will not connect to the internet

and if its a virus. then how can i get rid of it coz i cant update mcafee, lol. my friend sent me AVG7.5 updates but it only found a few trojans. not what im looking for. plz help?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/some-programs-will-not-connect-to-the-internet.77598/
Relevancy 20.64%

The firefox internet will not open when i click on the icon. it also goes for all of the other progams on my computer, they wont open.

The only working programs are the yahoo messenger and ares which i used to get on the internet with.Other pragrms like my winamp, realplayer, and a few games i downloaded that go online will not open.

A:my computer cant not use any of my programs

I would check for virus/spyware. Go to a computer that has a CD-R drive and burn a cd with some antispyware programs and/or antivirus. I would recommend www.superantispyware.com. This takes care of spyware and trojans which you might have. Maybe you should think of reformatting your pc
s

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-computer-cant-not-use-any-of-my-programs.77495/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi everyone. I have just finished upgrading my old computer with an intel pentium 3 600mhz cpu. The upgrade went ok but when i try to use internet explorer, windows live messeger or any other web based application the program will just crash with a message saying "This program has encounted a problem and needs to close". It never use to do this with my old celeron. Could this be a problem with the cpu? or do i just simply need to reinstall windows?

Any suggestions on what may be wrong with it would be awsome.

By the way when i turn on my computer the bios says it is a 600EBMHZ what ever that means.

A:Programs crash after cpu upgrade

You may just wanna try reinstalling windows. Sometimes the OS does weird things when you replace the CPU, even though in theory it shouldn't make a difference.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-crash-after-cpu-upgrade.76575/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi,

I recently bought a new Vista PC and the Internet works but only for browsing (IE7). If I attempt to run a program that connects to the Internet such as PokerStars, MSN, LimeWire, Azureus, Online games etc it will time out with a connection problem.

At first I thought it was a Firewall problem so I disabled the Windows Firewall but still have had no luck.

I am using an ADSL router (U.S. Robotics) and if I plug the same connection into my old PC these programs work fine.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks Manners

A:Connection problem via programs

How did you disable the firewall? Simply turning it off, doesn't actually do that. You also need to go into the advanced area and uncheck you ethernet connection from the list of firewalled connections

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-problem-via-programs.75266/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hi i am doing a job for a freind what i am trying to do is this well first i setup his server "which is windows 2003" at his work location and all the computers are able to connect to the server. He has gotten a new location down the street and set up 4 pcs there how can i get it so that they can use the server as if the server was there in other words how can they join the network with out being there.

A:use programs in my server from another location

Depends on length of cable or connection... and what kind of connection pulls them all together> Information is available in the documentation that came with your Windows 2003.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/use-programs-in-my-server-from-another-location.70257/
Relevancy 20.64%

I don't know why this is happening, but maybe someone can help. I have a HP dv8000 laptop running wireless through a linksys router. Most programs that need to connect (AVG, Spybot, iTunes, etc.) keep telling me that my network is not available. I don't have this trouble with the same programs on my desktop. Another example is that most games (except CounterStrike, for whatever reason) won't connect in multiplayer mode. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance-

Eric

A:Problem with programs accessing the net

Make sure you don't use third party software for wireless connection. Use XP Wireless connection is faster.

Those a drops you're getting with the wireless connection either it coming from the router or something is making it happen. Micowave 2.4Ghz wireless phone things like that...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-programs-accessing-the-net.65895/
Relevancy 20.21%

just wondering what pciEx would be good for programs like Autocad 2007...graphic rendering...etc..!

A:Video Card Recommendation for Architectural Programs

um.... anything really.

If you do intensely detailed rendering, then get a higher-end card. The more memory it has, the better. I like to stick with nVidia cards (they've never failed me yet, but all the ATI cards i've used except one all overheated)

So let's see... i would recommend a midrange or higher nVidia 7-series card.

Like I said, the more detailed the models, the more power you'll need.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-recommendation-for-architectural-programs.62368/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hey all, my uncle wants me to build him a computer for his daughter whos taking architecture....He wants to save as much money as he can so I'm wondering what parts you would recommend...maybe recommend some motherboard/cpus..I'm located in Canada so stores like Tigerdirect.ca and ncix.ca are places i can go to for parts >
I wonder what kind of mobo and processor would be good for Autocad or programs like it..rendering images and stuff like that..doesn't have to be overkill super fast or w/e but good enough so u can still say wow...thats fast
also since its for programs like autocad..i don't think i would need to put in a high end video card either...
any help, recommendations would be appreciated!
thanks guys!

A:Help: on specs building a rig for Cad programs.

zazazoom said:

Hey all, my uncle wants me to build him a computer for his daughter whos taking architecture....He wants to save as much money as he can so I'm wondering what parts you would recommend...maybe recommend some motherboard/cpus..I'm located in Canada so stores like Tigerdirect.ca and ncix.ca are places i can go to for parts >
I wonder what kind of mobo and processor would be good for Autocad or programs like it..rendering images and stuff like that..doesn't have to be overkill super fast or w/e but good enough so u can still say wow...thats fast
also since its for programs like autocad..i don't think i would need to put in a high end video card either...
any help, recommendations would be appreciated!
thanks guys!Click to expand...

Well, to start, what is your budget?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-on-specs-building-a-rig-for-cad-programs.62357/
Relevancy 20.21%

I have a Compaq Presario with Pentium Ghz CPU Gb RAM and Gb hard drive using Windows XP Home sp I have over a thousand photos on my computer I sell on eBay and the photos are stored until an item sells When I open my photo software it is getting a little slower than it used to be And my auction program is really getting slow the Speed to Help Increasing Using Would Programs with Photo of RAM 2GB more auctions and photos I put in it My business is doubling so I wanted to see what I could do to help speed I still have of my hard drive free I did all of the basic cleanup stuff and defragging helped the overall performance of my computer Eliminated a lot of unneccessary junk in the configsys startup Expanded the virtual memory to mb But my main programs Would Increasing RAM to 2GB Help with Speed of Photo Using Programs I use are still slow Would it be good to add Gb of RAM Would it help my problem with so many photos at all or would I just be wasting my money Thanks Blake nbsp

A:Would Increasing RAM to 2GB Help with Speed of Photo Using Programs

It may help, but, a faster hard drive would make more difference.
I noticed that, when I added 1GB of RAM, and it didn`t improve too much the PC, only in games. And then I changed the hard drive to a faster, 7200 RPM 8MB cache drive,and it`s WAY faster now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/would-increasing-ram-to-2gb-help-with-speed-of-photo-using-programs.53286/
Relevancy 21.07%

Hi i recently purchased a new 80GB HD IDE, and i also have a 20GB IDE already in my PC already, i would like to know how i could place the OS (Windows XP) on to the 20GB and use the larger one for my programs and documents?

Thanks

Atherton1989

A:Using 2 HDs 1 for XP one for programs

Yes you can. Just make sure the computer is set up to boot off of the 20gb with Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-2-hds-1-for-xp-one-for-programs.52746/
Relevancy 20.64%

Problem Running Programs

I have been having problems running various random programs. For instance the most recent occurance, i was attempting to instal ActivSync software for work, I downloaded the program and after clicking it to instal, the files extract and the hour glass apears as if it is going to work and then it goes away and nothing happens. I look in the task manager and it is not in the applications but it is running in the processes. Any ideas??? I really need to fix this.

A:Proplem Running Programs

You could try running scandisk or chkdsk. If that fails try a os install over your existing os.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/proplem-running-programs.52241/
Relevancy 20.21%

I'm quite simply trying to split Ventrilo to my headset, and Itunes to my speakers.
Do I need two sound cards, or... ?
I have no idea if this is possible, or how to do it. I'm running Windows Xp; if specific models are needed, just ask.
Any help is appreciated
Cheers, Kashkin.

A:Splitting programs to seperate outputs

Yes, you need two soundcards. Usually multimedia programs let you specify what device to use for output.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/splitting-programs-to-seperate-outputs.50290/
Relevancy 19.78%

ASUS KV8-X-SE, AMD 64, 3300+
Winxp, sp2
Kingston KVR400x64ce/512
Radeon 9800 pro
Masscool CPU fan
80g Samsung hd
40g WD hd
3 case fans
450 watt PSU Hercules

System boots up fine, when I run any programs the system reboots on me. I am still trying to use windows update. I am going thru computer withdraws.

A:ASUS KV8-X-SE boots fine, when programs start it reboots

Could be any number of things, but the most common cause of system reboots is drivers.

Have a look here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic44306.html

And try to elimate each step. One of them is likely your problem.

Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/asus-kv8-x-se-boots-fine-when-programs-start-it-reboots.49083/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello and thank you so much for checking out my question I m trying to backup many select programs and files audio video and documents I own a Toshiba Satellite bought in which uses Windows XP and other files that came standard I have added many many programs and files to my PC since that time I would like to create a backup of most but not all of these programs and files Then I would like to restore my on Reinstall Programs Satellite Files and Toshiba my How Select to Backup Before computer to its original condition I m hoping that this process will take all of the little bugs and snails out of my daily struggle with this machine I m also hoping that this will help me to use the brand new iPod I bought weeks ago that has stopped working with itunes and has not been fixed by any of the solutions I found on How to Backup Select Programs and Files on my Toshiba Satellite Before Reinstall the iPod help site - but that s another story Here is one of the ineffective results of my exhaustive search I have found information on how to use the XP backup program found on the Windows XP CD Unfortunately however I don t have that CD because my computer came with XP already installed I DO have the CD that came with my Toshiba Satellite called quot Toshiba Recovery and Applications Drivers DVD Instructions quot The problem is that it seems like using this CD will erase all of the new files and programs I have on my computer What is the absolute best way to backup these select files without having to go out and buy new CDS or other products How do I go about using that Toshiba CD afterwards I ve spent hours - even DAYS - trying to find this information Although I love my computer the Toshiba site has done little to nothing to make this common process clear I thought this would be a simple application but it s clear that I really don t know what I m doing - AND that doing this backup and restore is WAY too important for me to play around Thank you so much for taking the time to help me - I really really need it All the best Linnea American living in Italy nbsp

A:How to Backup Select Programs and Files on my Toshiba Satellite Before Reinstall

1. Norton Ghost, Nero Backup or other backup utilities, some are free as well.. these type of backup is taking a image snapshot, and some of them can take just snapshots of a certain folder/groups/drives/files (selective backup). Once backed up, you may need to reinstall teh programs or re add their registry keys, file associations etc (if you know what they are, easyer just reinstalling..). Media to backup to can be tape, cd/dvd, anohter hdd, network storage etc...

2. the toshiba cd is just like a windows xp cd, but only for that certain laptop, and does a full wipe and reinstall of the OS plus its customised software and drivers.. if you dont want those customised software, then just use a retail winxp cd and use the licence key on the bottom of the laptop.. but i havn;t tried that before...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-backup-select-programs-and-files-on-my-toshiba-satellite-before-reinstall.48511/
Relevancy 20.21%

As mentioned, i have had some audio problems, when I open a program (ie internet explorer, word 03) while iTunes or Windows Media Player is playing, the sound start to crack and i get some static, after the program finishes opening the sound returns to normal. This is most weird because until 2 months ago it was fine when opening programs, then my hard drive crashed causing all data to be lost. I then bought a new hard drive, reinstalled windows Xp and the Device drivers for the audia control and i now get the problem, no changes to anything else in the computer.
Please help, and sugestions would be very appriated
Cheers Hynes

A:sound crackles when opening programs

Try updating or re-installing your audio drivers . This is a pretty common problem with onboard audio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-crackles-when-opening-programs.48275/
Relevancy 28.38%

Here is my story First off all I am building computers for a couple of years now and I know what anymore Supply Switch closing with Power won't after it Computer start I am doing but This problem arrived the other day after changing my case Days Ago I bought A new Case and a new Burner for my Computer I unintalled everything and installed it in my new Case I plugged everything back up and was on my computer again without any problems I used the reset button but it was behaving oddly the computer was still running but the monitor turned itself Computer won't start anymore after closing it with Power Supply Switch off So I though that maybe I had installed the reset Switch the wrong way I couldn t stop it anymore so I closed it with the Power Supply Switch So I opened my case to see if everything was ok Everything was as it was supposed to be I played with the connectors a little bit to make sure they were well connected I tried running the computers again but it wouldn t start It didin t make a noise no fan running no BIOS nothing I was very afraid to have killed my Power Supply or MOBO by closing it the wrong way I though that maybe it was just the power button of my new case that was the problem so I connected the Reset Switch connector in the Power Switch I tried turning it on and it worked I was very releaved that it was just that problem So I left it opened all night and went to work I also accesed my computer remotely from work almost all day But Last night when I finally came home the computer was closed I though it was weird but opened it again and went to see a couple of things on the net Went out for min max with my GirlFriend When I came back the computer was closed again and it wouldn t start again like it did the day before So I opened it again checking the reset and power switch button But now any of the didn t work anymore I thought that it couldn t be the PSU or MOBO because last night I was able to get it back up by switching the Power and Reset switch I started to unhook every power cable from HD to CD and floppy even the case fan Nothing Took out the Sound card and Video Capture Card Nothing Unhooked the HD and DVD Burner and floppy NOthing Took out the Video Card I also plugged out and plugged back in the Mother board and CPU Power connector from the PSU to be sure that they were well connected Nothing happened I even took out the Front of the case to look at the Power Button They looked ok but I am no expert in that I also took the MOBO battery out to clear the BIOS Now my computer is dead I can t do anything to make it work I am thinking that by closing the computer with the PSU switch I might have shorted something but with a good PSU like I have on a protected circuit it shouldn t happen I saw an existing post were someone had the same problem and had used the PSU switch But it is design to do that Not fry everything by using it The Antec PSU also has a protection against surges Tonight I will try to use a W Enermax PSU I have in another computer and see if it changes something If not than they are possible solution Maybe just the buttons but I doubt it or the Motherboard is screwed If it is the motherboard and my Waranty is not good anymore I will have to buy a new motherboard and a New CPU reinstall Windows and my Video Card which is AGP won t work in a PCIE MOBO So I will have to buy a lesser MOBO and if future upgrade have to come I won t be able to buy a PCIE Video Card If they still do the AGP by then By they way they still sell Athlon XP MOBO in my local computer shop but they are so cheap they don t have AGP X or DDR So what do you think it might be Any suggestion as to what I may Try Anyone with a similar problem AMD Athlon XP Gigabytes G A- L Motherboard nForce X MB of DDR Memory in Dual Channel Antec W SmartPower Maxtor GB MB IDE HardDrive Primary Master Pionner DVD- D New DVD Burner Secondary Master Geforce GT AGP w Additional Power plugged in Creative Live Soundcard ComproPVR Video Capture C... Read more

A:Computer won't start anymore after closing it with Power Supply Switch

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If after trying your other psu it`s still dead, It`s got to be either the mobo or cpu.

I think for whatever reason, you`ve had a short circuit of some kind and it`s fried either the psu/mobo/cpu.

You`ve seem to have tried all the right things, so I can`t really suggest anything else.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-start-anymore-after-closing-it-with-power-supply-switch.47091/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello I m new here Not an expert on computers but can t figure out how to fix it When I start playing a game ethier instanly or a games. when other Line playing 3D Vertical Colored programs) (Or few seconds after starting it these colored vertical line show up some times it s like a blue grid to after Vertical Colored Line when playing games. (Or other 3D programs) i somehow exit the game it still shows uintil I resatart my computer I have tried updateing my Video card drivers but still nothing This started after I got my computer reformated This sucks since I just bought Vertical Colored Line when playing games. (Or other 3D programs) Start Wars Emiper at War Also if my computer has been turned off for a long while it doesn t want to turn on All that haapens is that the fans turn on I have to keep turning it on and off till it works Any Ideas It s probly ethier my motherboard or my graphics card My system specs CPU Intel Pentuim Ghz Video ATI All-in-Wonder PRO OS Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition RAM Mb Audio SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio Mother Board Intel Desktop Board D EBT Please help bump come on can nobody give me a suggestion answer or a single reply nbsp

A:Vertical Colored Line when playing games. (Or other 3D programs)

Please

lease can somebody help me. I've tried everything!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vertical-colored-line-when-playing-games-or-other-3d-programs.44615/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hey. Does anyone know of a p2p program that has a built in internet browser and a messenger? If you know, please tell me. I'm in need of such a program.

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/p2p-programs-with-integrated-software.44660/
Relevancy 20.64%

If I copy the programs in my "Programs Files" folder from my old machine to the "Programs Files" folder on my new machine, will the programs work or would I be wasting my time? I've never tried this before so I don't know what to expect.

A:Copying Programs from 1 HD to Another

I dont thik this will work because you would have to register all the dll's and make new entries in the registry :knock: :dead: :bounce:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copying-programs-from-1-hd-to-another.41275/
Relevancy 20.21%

Sudden problems with computer speed performance Hi i have never posted here before but i believe this is the correct section I have a Dell Inspiron XPS laptop Ghz Pentium GB RAM ATI Mobility Radeon video card The problem started about two months ago Regular programs such as AIM started taking up unreasonable amounts of CPU When the problem started I only had MB RAM but I have recently upgraded In task manager AIM still takes up under the CPU column and in performance CPU is at about but the Page File usage is still pretty low Other programs like VLC Media Player sometimes take up about this much memory sometimes not Before i upgraded i did a fresh install of my Sudden running problems programs... OS XP Pro but this didn t help the problem at all I also play Counter-Strike Source and after the video stress test i have about FPS which is awful the program itself while taking up considerable amounts of memory it s supposed to still runs smoothly just Sudden problems running programs... not when I try to play Since I upgraded the RAM the computer does run noticeably faster usuallu when booting it Also in this time period explorer exe will take up between - CPU and about K Mem Usage according to Sudden problems running programs... task manager It still does this even after the RAM upgrade When I shut the screen and then try to reopen it it takes about ten seconds to turn back on I can no longer stream video very well from web pages - the sound comes in fine but the video is usually choppy or remains frozen completely I have had plenty of problems with computers before and while I am by no means obviously an expert I know a thing or two and can t think of any reason why these programs aren t running properly as they had in the past If anyone can help me with this problem it would be greatly appreciated I ve browsed this site before in the past and have used tips with other problems that I have had and I ve found more than a few solutions here Hopefully someone is able to lead me in the right direction Thanks nbsp

A:Sudden problems running programs...

I think that CPU usage is your problem,turn the computer off and reboot.As soon as everything is loaded open the task manager and see what the CPU usage is,it should be 0 or close to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sudden-problems-running-programs.39159/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi,
I was wondering if it was possible to use a program installed on windows sever 2000 from another computer on the network....If this is possible please fill me in.
Thanks a ton you guys sure have helped me out before :grinthumb

A:Network programs through windows 2000 server

You're looking for Terminal Services Application Server - which is built into 2000 Server. You'll have to install the application through add/remove program in a different mode though. Can't remember exactly what the mode is called but it something to the effect of remote use or terminal use installation - been a while since I've done it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-programs-through-windows-2000-server.37461/
Relevancy 20.21%

Anyway, I have 3 computers at home all connected to a router, lately the internet has been spiking and pings have been hoping fron 70-400 at almost any given time. I called my isp and he said that everything looks fine and that it is most likely a virus or one of the types of programs that download music, which it isn't that because I do not have a music program that is active. I have tried sysmetrix but it does not say anything is being used. Is there any other possible errors?

A:How to check for programs consuming to much bandwidth.

Have you tried running a few anti-spyware programs to clean out your system, and also what kind of anti-virus software do you have? Have you scanned for viruses lately?

If you really want to completely clean up your system, follow the steps in this thread here:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic17297.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-check-for-programs-consuming-to-much-bandwidth.36696/
Relevancy 19.78%

I in using problems 2 programs slave hard drives old Put on 'used' computer - have an old computer AMD Duron MHz that my kids use for their computer games ME is installed on it and it has a GB hard drive I had an even older computer that I no longer needed that had a GB hard drive on it with stuff we didn t want to lose including more games that my kids like to play Anyway I installed the GB hard drive in the AMD computer as a slave Now not surprisingly in retrospect I guess but I m new to these things the programs on the slave do not appear to work What do I need to do to make it possible to use the programs installed on the slave hard drive I Put 2 'used' hard drives in old computer - problems using programs on slave don t know if this is at all related but the HDs are installed as primary master and primary slave I had tried to install the GB as a secondary slave with the CD drive as the secondary master but when I did that the computer would not boot Thanks for your help nbsp

A:Put 2 'used' hard drives in old computer - problems using programs on slave

Well those programs probably require registry keys. And they were installed on your old computer. The only way you will be able to get those to work is to reinstsall them on the new computer.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/put-2-used-hard-drives-in-old-computer-problems-using-programs-on-slave.35671/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi, i just got a new computer, and it has a 3.06Ghz Processor, but everytime i click on a program to run it, my comp. takes like...1 min. to actually load up the program, and then it freezes and says its not responding....any ideas on why its doin this? Also, when i try to change my screensaver is the display properties, my comp. freezes completely and so i have to restart it. Any help is greatly appreciated...I'm thinking about taking it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, but i just wanted to kno what u guys thot first.

A:programs freeze when opened...new comp.

Right click on "my computer" then select "manage" then "event viewer".

Poke around in that section looking for errors. It may give you a hint as to what is going on with your system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-freeze-when-opened-new-comp.35237/
Relevancy 19.78%

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron Pentium Dell programs locks Inspiron downloading up/freezes when M GHz MHz FSB GB DDR etc MB ATI and Mobility Radeon x Dell Inspiron locks up/freezes programs when downloading GB Ultra ATA HD etc My problem is that programs will freeze usually associated with downloading programs At first it was when I tried to download a Microsoft program and Sonic online and the only way to get out of them was to turn the comp off manually because the Task Manager couldn t stop them I thought perhaps it might be due to ALL of the security software and firewalls etc So I turned it off tried download same problem To be certain it wasn t a net thing I unplugged cable modem and installed HotDog plus others and after rd program IT froze and wouldn t go away until I manually turned the computer off I tried Dell phone customer service and they kept turfing me to their paid phone service I quot thought quot when I purchased their extra service coverage that it would include help with this type of problem However it is only for hardware I m so frustrated Eventually I got a service tag number from a CSR it wasn t on the computer as instructed online and spoke to one person who told me to increase the amount of space on my IE cookie disk space That didn t work but he did get rid of me The next CHAT resulted in the person telling me to basically take this machine apart and looking at the HARD DRIVE quot Remove all of the removable components except for the memory and hard drive Unplug the AC adapter from the system Remove the battery from the system Press and hold the power button for seconds to discharge power Remove all of the removable components except for the memory and hard drive NOTE This includes but is not limited to the following devices Battery PC cards Floppy drives Optical drives CD CD-RW or DVD Tighten all the screws and ensure none are missing To tighten all the field-replaceable screws perform the following Make sure all the screws are tight and none are missing Obtain a screw from another system for testing purposes if there are screws missing Make sure that the screws located near the media bays and the center of the system are present Reseat the hard drive and check for damage Remove the hard drive from the system Check for damaged gold-plated connectors on the hard drive Reinsert the drive Run the PSA diagnostics and obtain the PSA error code quot There s more but don t you think this is something a Dell Tech human should be doing I m a massage therapist and have no mechanical or computer ability whatsoever The above instructions which I did not include the entire list are freaking me out Before I approach Dell I d like to know if there is something I can do other than the last CHAT session or if someone here feels it s a Dell Tech issue I will insist on that Other than sending the computer back for a refund I don t know what to do plus I love it If you can help me I d really appreciate it Lea nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-locks-up-freezes-programs-when-downloading.32788/
Relevancy 19.78%

One of the reasons i bought a compaq P1100 was because it could do 1600x1200 at 95hz. The problem is that for some reason the drivers don't have this option to choose from so even using most of the refresh forcing methods like ReForce or rage3dtweak don't work. The only one that's let me do 1600x1200 at 95hz has been powerstrip but now my trial period has ended and it seems silly to buy such a large program for just this tiny little reason.

Does anyone know of any other programs that let you force odd refresh rates?

A:Anyone know of any CUSTOM refresh rate forcing programs other than powerstrip?

You can do it in the registry, doesn't cost you anything.
Go her http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/69/02/1.html and scroll down to VIDEO CARDS
Substitute the videocard-names found there, and Bob's your uncle.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/anyone-know-of-any-custom-refresh-rate-forcing-programs-other-than-powerstrip.31413/
Relevancy 29.24%

I'm wondering if there is a program out there (or settings in the router) that will
enable me to completly shut a computer from the internet.

At first I could control the internet traffic per computer in the router settings but
somehow its gone broken , I already mailed the helpdesk and stuff.

Router type: Draytek Vigor 2500 (annex a)
More detailed info on my router:
click

Thanks anyway :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/closing-router-port-from-internet.31143/
Relevancy 19.78%

Well I bought the GeForce FX 5700 LE Overclocked and when I install the card and run any game or w/e other program that requires the card's power, it freezez after ten seconds or so, and the monitor turns off. Also if I play movies, after a while it turns off too. I have Direct X 9.0 and one of the latest drivers of nVidia. Now its not the card itself because I put it in a friend's computer and it worked completely fine. Now, I don't know what is the problem or what to do. I tried calling the company for tech support but they didn't help. I sent the card to the company for a replacement and they sent it back but the same problem came up. Please help me!

A:GeForce FX 5700 LE freezez when graphic demanding programs run

To all you newbies in these forums, please post your complete computer specs. It will help us to help you alot faster!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/geforce-fx-5700-le-freezez-when-graphic-demanding-programs-run.29186/
Relevancy 20.64%

hey,

i recently purchased a new MB CPU and gig of ram, which i'm running now. however all my 3d programs crash, within seconds of starting them up. i'm running a version of windows from my old motherboard, and havn't installed a new copy with this motherboard, and i'm told that could be the problem. however, i wanted to ask if it would be something else like needing to reinstall sound, video, ect and it would work without reformatting my drive.

A:Programs crash on new MB

Howdy!

Welcome to TechSpot

Check Here to see if this thread helps :slurp:
G"Luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/programs-crash-on-new-mb.28624/
Relevancy 20.64%

Ok im at breaking point here i spent hrs and a half yesterday tryin to do this myself literally from am to pm ok here it is ive bought a quot Samsung DVD RW - Model No TS-E U quot an external DVD rewriter by Computer not programs DVD+RW recognised on other but My via USB it worked the DVD+RW on My Computer but not recognised by other programs night i used it burned DVD and the next day it wasnt working at all and my computer detects it etc but no other program will i got the live DVD+RW on My Computer but not recognised by other programs updater from samsung and not even that will DVD+RW on My Computer but not recognised by other programs say its there even though its appearing as the G drive on my computer these are the things ive tried so far not all of em as i cant remember all of em - Uninstalling the driver and rebooting letting it detect it on its own - going into device manager and registry etc - every possible solution to even the least similar problems on this forum i could find - etc etc so on and so fourth nothing works ive tried all of samsungs sites and none of those were any help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-rw-on-my-computer-but-not-recognised-by-other-programs.25623/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hey I m new to the forums I Sapphire LOW 256mb in New Programs Radeon9600pro OpenGL FPS would just like to ask if there are any specific drivers that would work best with this card I currently use the Catalyst and in Counter-strike i drop to about fps when i look across a far map or see more than ppl on my screen I never had that with my Fx mb I tried running it in D D and it s even worse Any settings that could possible make it smoother but not have like random wierd texture colours around the map like when I New Sapphire Radeon9600pro 256mb LOW FPS in OpenGL Programs try to put it on Optimal Performance Here are my Specs Intel Pentium Processor Ghz Hyper Threading Mb Crucial pc- Radeon pro mb - AGP X Enabled - mb Aperature Asus-P P Windows Professional w SP Ingame CS - x hz Onboard Soundmax Audio I don t know what else there is but if I missed something please ask for it because i really do not understand why my FPS is more brutal than a Fx nbsp

A:New Sapphire Radeon9600pro 256mb LOW FPS in OpenGL Programs

You're new graphics card is a lot better than a FX5200. The problem should be software. Did you uninstall the nvidia drivers before you installed the ATI ones? If you didn't you should uninstall both drivers, then install the ATI ones again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-sapphire-radeon9600pro-256mb-low-fps-in-opengl-programs.25460/
Relevancy 20.21%

I just built this computer and everything is completely fine except a few things when ever i open a d game i can play for about - minutes then the game shuts off and it says nothing it just goes back to the desk top also my computer will randomly shut off about umm times a day randomly when im not doing anything to crazy Things I have tried updated bios tried another power supply tried different graphics cards tried another processor tried another cd-rom drive re-installed windows and just a game quits system programs new big automatically and the drivers needed to run the mother board and graphics card and the game battlefield still quit after a few minutes Thinking It could possibly be maybe could the hard drive be run down to were it can t access important files at the time it needs them could the motherboard ABIT V I just bot be a piece of crap could there be anything wrong with the ram i think those or the only things I haven t swapped out of this computer to try to fix the problem anyone know whats up or has a good educated guess as to what it could be If so thank you new system automatically quits big programs very much PS game should nt have a problem running with this system ghz P GB Ram MB Graphics Card i just don t get it nbsp

A:new system automatically quits big programs

hello and welcome to Techspot.

First of all download memtest86+ you can either use the floppy version or there is an iso version that you can put on cd.

Let it run untlill it has done at least seven passes and see if it comes up with any errors.

http://www.memtest.org/

Also you say that your computer just shuts off several times a day do you mean restarts?

If you right click on my computer select properties then the advanced tab then click on settings where it says startup and recovery uncheck the box that says automatically restart also set the write debugging information to none.

Now when your system crashes you should get a blue screen telling you what caused the error.

Look to see if any drivers are identified in the stop message.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-system-automatically-quits-big-programs.17035/
Relevancy 17.63%

Hey,

I've had this problem for a while now. In games and such, usually in the menus, sprites will be smeared, like this:

I don't know much about directx or anything, but any help would be really appreciated.

MiG3

A:On programs using DirectX the images "smear"

some specs would be helpful....

system, OS, etc

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/on-programs-using-directx-the-images-smear.22869/
Relevancy 20.21%

Recently I have found a weird problem when I play DVDs or Mpegs with my computer.

I play something and the sound is perfect, but the video is wonky. Like it is in slow mo. Skips every two seconds or something. It is odd. I tried various DVDs and files, all the same.

Now here is where it gets weird again, I tried it in different programs. Originally I was using PowerDVD, so I tried Windows Media Player...same thing. But then I tried it in WinDVD and it plays beautifully.

So now I am really confused. I mean I am happy that I can play them somewhere, but I really liked PowerDVD and would like to be able to use it again.

I just don't understand what is going on, so any kind of help would be appreciated.

A:Videos Play Weird in Certain Programs

Welcome to TechSpot

Help would be easier to give if you'd tell a bit about your computer, particularly which graphics card it has.

PowerDVD has an option "hardware acceleration" for video, have you tried changing it?

Did this start after you changed something, like updated driver / software?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/videos-play-weird-in-certain-programs.21138/
Relevancy 20.64%

Hello, I need some help with some software I either need a program that can monitor all computer activites in stealth that cannot be detected. Also would something like the lost and found by powerquest work? I need something that I can see all keystrokes sites visited etc and from the little descriptions I saw about the lost and found program it sounded like I may be able to monitor my computer with that? If anyone could help it would be apreciated thanks

A:Monitoring programs

& what are the motives for you to install such software ? If it's to install on someone else's computer without that person knowing, I don't think you've come to the right place for such information.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-programs.20460/
Relevancy 20.21%

Both my new adn old PC's have ethernet cards. Is it as easy as plugging the cable I use for my wideband connection into each PC's ethernet card, just long enough to import the files and stuff I need on my new PC?

I have no intent to set-up a permanent home network or share an internet connection.

A:What's the easiest way to move files & programs to my new PC?

You need a crossover cable. If your cable is crossed then it will work. You can recognise a crossover cable from looking at the plugs. If the wire order is the same in both ends then it is a straight through cable and cannot be used.

If you have lots of data then you may find it easier to just attach the hard drive from the old computer to the new one and copy the files directly.

You cannot just copy programs over. You will have to reinstall them. Only thing you can copy are some settings and saved files. There is also Windows settings copying tool that lets you migrate a large part of your personal settings in registry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-the-easiest-way-to-move-files-programs-to-my-new-pc.19841/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hey,
I have never experienced such problem, but my computer started loading windows xp and anyprograms under it very slowly. This happened after the pc crashed and i restarted it. Under safe mode however the choppy loading disappears. Can anyone give me a hint of where the problem might be coming from?? I thought it might be something to do with the memory as i noticed it was loading fairly slow but the memtest86 came up with nothing.

Thanks

My configuration is:
AMD XP1600+
512MB Ram
80GB 7200rpm HDD
30GB 5200rpm HDD
Gigabyte Motherboard

A:Windows XP suddenly started loading choppy itself and other programs...

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Double click my computer and right click on your hard drive then select properties then tools then under error checking click on check now and tick the box that says automatically fix file system errors then click start.

You will be presented with a message click yes then restart your computer.

Once the disk check has finished your computer will reboot.

Now get rid of any temp files including internet cookies and temp files then run a defrag.

See if that improves things, if not please post back.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-suddenly-started-loading-choppy-itself-and-other-programs.17507/
Relevancy 28.81%

This is surely a stupid question but I'm a Mac person and just learning about the "other" side.

One of our exec's is having a wake from sleep issue with his IBM Thinkpad (X31). He often has to hastily close the lid with the machine powered on and has difficulty getting it to wake up later.

2 questions.

Is the machine going into standy or hibernation mode when he does this?

What key(s) does he need to mash to wake it up? (preferably in an unlocked state.)

Thanks in advance.

A:Standy or Hibernation when closing lid on powered on laptop?

I believe with XP you can do either as well as just shut off the screen when you close the lid. Check the power option settings in control panel. Click my computer->control panel->power options

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/standy-or-hibernation-when-closing-lid-on-powered-on-laptop.13882/
Relevancy 20.21%

not that im lazy to disassemble the laptop, but i have no tools, and maybe a little lazy.

hi everyone. i have a vaio w/ a new load of win 98. my w2k really pissed me off so out it went. all i had was 98 so in it went. while that went in, my audio went out the door. i got this thing second hand and have no documentation. i've been trying various drivers for 98 98se me etc. no go.

when i go into device manager i have no multimedia category, no audio. when i look into "multimedia" in control panel everything is grey'd out with no options to load or update or anything.

was wondering if there was a software program that would search out my audio card and tell me the specifics? seems the os isn't seeing anything.

or any other ideas? thanks friends
vern

A:ne programs to identify my audio card?

What is the model of your Sony Vaio?

Easiest way would be to find driver / product specs for your laptop here:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...isml&page=static/lc/vaio/notebooks/index.isml

You may want to consider this program to find out more information:
Everst Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/

but laptop drivers are highly specialist and you need to get from the web site directly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ne-programs-to-identify-my-audio-card.16742/
Relevancy 20.64%

I just got a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 and installed 2 X 512MB PC3200 running Dual Channel on it. After a little bit, running programs that use a lot of ram, the programs crash. But when I only have 1 chip in, it never crashes. I have ran many RAM testers on my system and it only has errors when 2 chips are in. I'm not sure what the problem is, is it the MB, or is it the RAM, and what can i do to fix it. Thanks.

A:RAM Causing programs to crash

Welcome to TechSpot

Are they a matched pair of memory chips?
From reviews elsewhere, the Corsair PC3200 memory works flawless.
If you have a no-name chip, that might cause the problem.

If you use one stick at the time, do both sticks work OK?
You have so many memory slots, perhaps try another pair?

Go to www.memtest.org and download memtest. Run that for a few hours to find any memory faults.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-causing-programs-to-crash.16691/