Windows Support Forum

Trouble Accessing The "C:\System Volume Information" Folder

Q: Trouble Accessing The "C:\System Volume Information" Folder

I m using Windows XP SP Home Edition and am trying to access the C System Volume Information folder but I keep getting an quot Access is denied quot message even after following the Volume The Folder Accessing Information" Trouble "C:\System below directions Click Start click Run type cmd and then click OK Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder For example to gain access the C System Volume Information folder make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C at a quot C quot prompt Type the following line and then press ENTER cacls quot driveletter System Volume Information quot E G username F Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated This command adds the specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it If you need to remove the permissions after troubleshooting type the following line at a command prompt cacls quot driveletter System Volume Information quot E R username This command removes all permissions Trouble Accessing The "C:\System Volume Information" Folder for the specified user My problem may be with Trouble Accessing The "C:\System Volume Information" Folder step as I m not sure what to do what it Trouble Accessing The "C:\System Volume Information" Folder says in the last sentence How do I get to a C prompt Here is a screenshot of what the command prompt window looks like when I first open it nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Trouble Accessing The "C:\System Volume Information" Folder

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 99.51%

All of the sudden my "System Volume Information" folders (the system restore folders) on all of my hard drives are shown even when viewing hidden files is off. Tried to mark them hidden, but it won't let me. Anyone have a clue as to why they would suddenly unhide themselves and not allow me to hide them again? This is on XP Pro with no service pack1 installed. Just bugs me they did that all of the sudden. Haven't installed anything recently except Paint Shop Pro 7 and Easy CD Creator 5.2 plus the update patch to 5.3.

Thanks,

Smith

Relevancy 95.17%

Hello,

I just bought myself new HW and a new SSD for my computer, and I also installed a fresh Windows 7 on the new SSD. I put my old HDD with Vista on D: and copied a couple of documents over to "my documents" folder to my C: drive + a couple of other files.

I am now cleaning up my D: drive to get rid of all the Vista files which I don't need any more, and I have stumbled over "System volume information" folder. This folder was last modified at the date I installed Windows 7 (5 days ago). Can I just remove this folder without any repercussion?

A:"System volume information" folder on my old Vista installation

It's actually a part of System Restore; the tool that allows you to set points in time to roll back your computer. The System Volume Information folder is where OS stores these points and associated information that makes them accessible.
If you're not using System Restore feature, you can delete it. I recommend you to keep it untouched.
Fore more information, refer here:
Tips Fixes & FAQs
Take Care

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210772-system-volume-information-folder-my-old-vista-installation.html
Relevancy 95.17%

I have a SIMPLE and easy way to remove viruses from system restore without losing all your restore points.

In command prompt type:

cacls "c:\system volume information" /e /g "username":F

(username = your user name eg. Administrator)

it will say 'processed dir.....'

run the virus scanner again to remove the virus.

I do this in safe mode, in the administrator account so that my standard account can't access the system restore and screw something up.

Shaelesand.

A:Remove Viruses from XP Pro "System Volume Information" folder

That's a good suggestion for users running Windows XP Pro. Basically that command is granting authority to the "System Volume Information" folder to the user you specify on the command to get around the "Access Denied ...." error.

The other way to accomplish it is to disable "Simple File Sharing" under the Folder Options. Then right click on the "System Volume Information .." folder and select Properties. Then click on the "Security" which appears since you disabled "Simple File Sharing". At that point you can grant the user authority to the folder.

Anyway, thanks for the shortcut. It will come in handy in the future.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remove-viruses-from-xp-pro-system-volume-information-folder.166659/
Relevancy 95.17%

My virus scanner detected a virus in the System Volume Information directory, the problem is this folder is unaccessable for some reason. It is a hidden folder but i cant find it and in safe mode i still cant access it. My virus cant get rid of it for this reason as well I am guessing. Please help me someone.

When i start my PC an error with a message such as this pops up: AVG has detected the virus worm/agobot in C:/System Volume Information/ etc. etc, the rest is a bunch of numbers then an exe. file.

A:How do i access "System Volume Information folder"? Virus in it.

Right click "My Computer" > select Properties > System Restore tab > tag the box to disable System Restore. Affirm the action and close the screen. Reboot for good measure.

You may then reenable System Restore if you like, the virus it had in its memory will be long gone now.

Regards.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-access-system-volume-information-folder-virus-in-it.190972/
Relevancy 95.17%

When I attempt to open the C:\System Volume Information folder so I can view the contents of the _restore folder, I receive the message seen in this screenshot.

If I do a "search" for the _restore folder, nothing appears.

What gives?

I don't recall having this problem before the hard drive was replaced and Windows XP SP2 was reinstalled from scratch.

I know that System Restore is working because I've created several restore points before installing new or updated hardware drivers.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Relevancy 95.17%

Hi all.

So i upgraded from xp to 7.So i am now on windows 7.The first thing i did is download and install Avira,I updated it and did a full system scan.It found around 20-30 viruses,trojans,malware,irc bots in "C:\System Volume Information\_restore{5E03FC9B-BBC4-4FA8-96F7-D40CC10DBA4A}\RP7"

So i let avira delete all the detected files in RP7 folder.I went to the folder and found like icons,.dll files,etc from xp..So i deleted every file in the RP7 folder..

Is it safe to delete the folder "System Volume Information" located in my C:\ driver?

Thank You.

A:Is it safe to delete the" System Volume Information" folder.

You are not addressing the root problem. The System Volume Information folder stores the restore points created by System Restore on enabled drives. These points let you take your system back to an earlier point of time, should it start misbehaving and you cannot rectify the problem directly. If the system is infected at the time a restore point is created there's a good chance it will exist within the restore point.

System Restore is an excellent tool and I would not suggest disabling it or deleting the SIV folder. What you can do is delete all existing restore points to avoid reinfection on running restore, then clean your system thoroughly, then create fresh restore points.

The best course of action is to prevent infection/malware in the first place. In combination with a good backup strategy System Restore is an excellent tool.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/107463-safe-delete-system-volume-information-folder.html
Relevancy 94.86%

Hello Let start off saying I know what this folder is on "System 7 Win to Information" Volume delete folder How for System Restore and know how to typically get rid of the space it How to delete "System Volume Information" folder on Win 7 takes up merely disable system restore However in this particular case it's not working and need to figure out how to make Win delete it In this particular situation this is an external hard drive that How to delete "System Volume Information" folder on Win 7 I hook up to other PCs quite often in transferring data and How to delete "System Volume Information" folder on Win 7 imaging PCs I'm a PC tech As such the hard drive has accumulated quite a few restore points on it from these various systems Disabling system restore from mine does not remove these other restore points Windows XP I remember would let me remove it if I took ownership of the files Win will not although it does not kick back any error messages So how do I get rid of it Or at the very least the multiple restore points within Thank you Solved See Schmik and alan 's posts on page posts and respectively Thank you both

A:How to delete "System Volume Information" folder on Win 7

Quote: Originally Posted by FuryoftheStars

Hello,

Let start off saying I know what this folder is for (System Restore) and know how to typically get rid of the space it takes up (merely disable system restore). However, in this particular case, it's not working and need to figure out how to make Win 7 delete it.

In this particular situation this is an external hard drive that I hook up to other PCs quite often in transferring data and imaging PCs (I'm a PC tech). As such, the hard drive has accumulated quite a few restore points on it from these various systems. Disabling system restore from mine does not remove these other restore points.

Windows XP I remember would let me remove it if I took ownership of the files, Win 7 will not (although it does not kick back any error messages). So... how do I get rid of it? Or at the very least, the multiple restore points within?

Thank you.

You need to disable system restore on the external hard drive. To do this, go to start, then right click on computer, then click properties. In the top left, there will be an option that says system protection. Click on that.nAfter that it will show all of the drives amd you will see a "yes" or a "no." Find the external hard drive, and if it says yes, click on configure. You can now turn off system resotre for that drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/222588-how-delete-system-volume-information-folder-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 94.86%

Hi I m trying to get rid of files and this one is the main one that I have found so far that is getting stuck and not being deleted It says that quot change log quot is being used by other users Occasionally as well a chinese website pops up for some reason Thanks Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS be deleted Volume "System can't folder Information" system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program "System Volume Information" folder can't be deleted Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AppCore AppSvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Norton PC Checkup executables mrHealthy MrHealthy exe C Program Files NDAS System ndassvc exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS wanmpsvc exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqnrs exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Real RealPlayer RealPlay exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files NDAS System ndasmgmt exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqimzone exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system HPZipm exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http uk msn com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http windowsupdate microsoft com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - E A - - D F-BEAE-D A C - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared coShared Browser NppBho dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - Toolbar Show Norton Toolbar - -F - -B -FBEE C B DF - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared coShared Browser UIBHO dll O - HKLM Run OemReset systemroot OPTIONS OEMRE... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-volume-information-folder-cant-be-deleted.869350/
Relevancy 82.15%

Windows 7 is installed on C: . I want to take D: out of the system, and have it completely empty.

I have two directories on D:, System Volume Information and $Recycle Bin.

I understand I can get rid of the $Recycle Bin, but I don't know about System Volume Information.

Can I simply delete it, or is it part of the Windows Installation, or just info about the D: drive that is disposable?

Thanks!

A:D: drive has "System Volume Information", can I delete or move?

If you're referring to the 100 MB + of space on the C: drive, that contains vital OS boot information and should never be removed.

For clarification, could you post a screen shot of your Disk Management window.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/243159-d-drive-has-system-volume-information-can-i-delete-move.html
Relevancy 82.15%

Using XP SP-1, 40GB HDD
A folder named "System Volume Information" has been created in each drive (C:,D:,E:,F: )
and consuming significant disk space day by day. Whether deleting these folders will create any problem. Any other technique to stop increasing the size of these folders ? Please suggest.
Presently consuming more than 3 GB in total.
Sometimes I need system restore to speed up the PC (besides other registry tools ) ..therefore this function is enabled in the system.

Relevancy 82.15%

I copied the "system volume information" folder from my C: drive to my external hard drive in order to back up the restore points. Now I want to delete the folder, but no matter what I do, I cannot delete it. I always get an error "an error occurred while applying security information to"..... usually F:\MediaID.bin.

I click 'continue', and then try to delete the folder or some files within it, and nothing happens.
I am an administrator
I am the owner
I have full access

A:No matter WHAT I DO I can't delete a "system volume information" folde

Quote: Originally Posted by peanutaxis

I am an administrator
I am the owner
I have full access

I am an administrator -- But you're not System
I am the owner -- No, System is
I have full access -- Apparently not

That's one of the folders with pretty much exclusive access only by the system for security and other reasons.

You could try taking ownership. Or is that what you did?

Why are you trying to do this?

If you want to keep using System Restore, it's best to leave it alone.

How would you intend to ever use the restore files you copied?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/224565-no-matter-what-i-do-i-cant-delete-system-volume-information-folde.html
Relevancy 81.84%

Hello,

I have windows 2003 server hosting many domains with HELM control panel.

My system is compromised and someone is uploading data without authorization in the following folder:

C:\System Volume Information\_restore

Hacker has created APPZ-iNDiSP & _ARCHIVE folders as under:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore\APPZ-iNDiSP
C:\System Volume Information\_restore \_ARCHIVE

Hacker is uploading cracked version of softwares in these folders. I wish to plug the compromise.

Please HELP!
Thanks a Million
Kash

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-system-volume-information-_restore-hacked.606763/
Relevancy 81.84%

hi guys,

Today I would like to do a dual boot on my laptop. Windows and ubuntu .. my laptop is a lenovo. I have a problem on my partition. I have 4 partitions on my hdd, C:, D:, E:, F:. and I want to move or maybe remove the system volume information folder on the "D:" and will also remove the "D:" and finally I have 3 partitions namely c, e, and f. so I can have a free space for ubuntu. it seems my laptop can not have more than 4 partitions.

BUT, i don't know how to do that?

it is screenshot

Thanks advance,
Wilman

A:how to move/delete "System Volume Information" [PLEASE]

Was the D partition on this Lenovo when you bought it new?

Or did you add the D partition yourself?

It is not flagged as active or boot or system, so I'm wondering about its purpose? It's not quite empty.

I notice you have an external drive marked as "active" and am wondering how that has happened. Is Ubuntu already on this drive?

Are you locked into the idea of Pixar and Dream Works being on their own partitions?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/328986-how-move-delete-system-volume-information-please.html
Relevancy 80.91%

Hi all !

Yesterday i got like 15 messages from my anti-virus/spyware program that, in the messages is said that is was in my system files and it could't delete it. I have tried to get into the map that is named "system volume information" but i got "accses denied" ... And i downloaded a new anti virus thing that said it would take it away but when it was going to, the whole computer crashed because it tried to delete the files.

Please help me ! What should i do ?
P.S The program i downloaded was "spyware doctor"

A:Virus in "system volume information"

Hello and welcome.
This forum is for introductions only. A moderator will move this thread to the correct area. Please come back and tell us about yourself! Hope you get helped!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/virus-in-system-volume-information.725874/
Relevancy 80.91%

I used to have a second "test" install of windows XP on my slave hard drive. I needed the space, and wasn't sure how to go about removing it without formatting and losing the other data I had stored on the drive so I just deleted the windows directory, and removed the OS listing from the boot file.

However I can find no way to remove the "system volume information" folder, as it won't let me have access. I have tried booting into a safe mode command prompt, and such, but so far no luck.

Is there any way to get rid of this folder or is a format the only solution?

Thanks!

Relevancy 104.06%

hi every body
My PC has lots of files called "Thumbs.db" & "System volume information" in all its drives.I cant delete these files and I think the cause of shutting my pc down automatically and showing blue screen is these files.the operating system is win xp/sp2.
I don't know what to do with these and what anti virus will delete them.please help me.
thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/virus-that-has-files-called-thumbs-db-system-volum-information.970177/
Relevancy 102.34%

Hi all Sorry to repeat a question I see a lot of instances of but none of those seem to be addressing my problem correctly I have not done anything new to my computer in recent days so this problem has caught me off guard I see most instances of this problem come after upgrading to Windows I have had Win installed for a while now Here is a summary of my problem My computer recently got stuck on the quot Starting Windows Screen quot So I manually held the power button to reboot On reboot it said there was a need to run a startup repair which I did Everything checked fine except for the Corrupted" Windows", is on Repair "Starting Stuck Shows Disk Volume "System on last one which said quot System Volume on Disk is Corrupted quot which it claimed to have successfully fixed After rebooting from repair the system gets stuck on quot Starting Windows Screen quot for a good - minutes after which it runs a registry check After it completes that I get hopeful -- but the screen then gets stuck on an all black screen with just the mouse cursor and nothing more Additional note Attempting to start the computer on quot safe mode quot leads Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted" safe mode startup to become stalled Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted" on quot DRIVERS CLASSPNP SYS quot The lastest attempt to repair yielded this message quot Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically Problem event Name Startup Repair Offline Problem signature uknown quot AutoFailover Corrupt Volume OS Version Locale Id In need of help not sure where to start Thanks nbsp

A:Stuck on "Starting Windows", Repair Shows "System Volume on Disk is Corrupted"

Hi Stan, Hopefully I can help you out....or at least lead you in the right direction. From my experience, the symptoms you are suggesting sound like perhaps a dying Hard drive.

1. Do you have the windows 7 boot disks that came with your computer or when you bought the Operating System? If so, you could try and insert one of those and boot from it, and attempt to repair the installation. (this won't affect your data, only the windows system files).

2. If that doesn't fix it, you could try a fresh reinstall of windows 7, and see if that works.

3. If neither of those work, its likely that because of the fact that when windows is repairing itself, it is generally putting copies of its system files in the same physical location on your disk. Because your disk is obviously not completely dead, ie....its still loading to the windows 7 startup screen, its just copying files to the bad sectors on your hard drive and gets stuck when loading. This is especially my guess because you said Safe mode is having same problems, even after attempting to repair. In the past, I've tried and salvage a disk by reformatting it and only leaving on partitions which do not contain the bad clusters. This takes some time, and some guess work.....and really this is only a "bandaid" fix because once the disk has bad clusters, its only a matter of time before these things give out. You wouldn't want to trust your important data on it anyways....

I hope this leads you in the right direction.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stuck-on-starting-windows-repair-shows-system-volume-on-disk-is-corrupted.1023059/
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi, I need help accessing/getting into: System Volume Information folder in both my hard drives...It won't let me in and when I try to open it says this:

"C:\System Volume Information is not accessible. Access is denied."

Please help. Thanks.

(Windows XP Pro. User)

A:Need help accessing system volume information

You should be able to access it from Safe Mode, but why do you need access to it?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-help-accessing-system-volume-information-77438.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I recently became infected with three Trojan Downloaders I did a virus scan using AVG ran Ewido in Safe Mode and did an online virus scan with Kapersky All three were successful in identifying these Trojans Ewido listed them within the System folder whereas each virus scan listed them within the System Volume Information file I did a manual check to see that they have been eliminated from the System folder but I m not sure if they re still with the System Volume Information folder Hence my question System Accessing Information Volume How do Accessing System Volume Information I get into this folder I have performed the following steps but to no avail Click Start and then click Accessing System Volume Information My Computer On the Tools menu click Folder Options On the View tab click Show hidden files and folders Clear the Hide protected operating system files Recommended check box Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change Clear the Use simple file sharing Recommended check box Click OK Right-click the Accessing System Volume Information System Volume Information folder in the root folder and then click Properties Click the Security tab Click Add and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder Typically this is the account with which you are logged on Click OK and then click OK again Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it and then when I click on the folder I get the message C System Volume Information is not accessible Access is denied I realize this isn t a folder to mess around with too much I just prefer to do a manual check Any help will be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Accessing System Volume Information

Hi, Read about cleaning up infected files found in System Restore area here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001111912274039?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

Use the instructions for your version of Windows, only XP and Windows ME have system restore...
What you have to do, is after making sure all is OK, all malware cleaned, turn off System Restore, then turn it back on, and create a new first Restore Point...windows does it all after the first one is made.

(I have the steps which I can post for turning off Restore, turning it back on, creating a new Point which I can post, just like to confirm that all malware is gone.)

BUT are you sure everything is fixed, including ad-spyware?

If you post the log from Ewido, and a Hijackthis log, maybe we can help you with anything that was not fixed....

Make a NEW scan with Ewido please, not the old log....

Here are Hijackthis directions, if you need them:

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
Save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
the next step can be skipped if you are on your computer, and it has Internet access that works.

By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit Edit then Paste
You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
Do a full scan with Ewido, post the log from that and the HJT log here in a reply and someone can check it for you.

Just post back, if you want to just go ahead and skip the Ewido and Hijackthis logs.....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-system-volume-information.445776/
Relevancy 94.6%

Hello all. A freind of mine had his Gateway PC crash last night. I wasn't around to help him fix it so he called tech support. They reformatted his HDD but placed all of his files and programs in a "restore folder." Everything is working fine now, but he cannot access this "restore folder" so he can access all his stored data and programs. Has anyone encountered a problem like this before? Is there some Gateway-specific program he needs to use to access the restore folder? He told me he tried to just open the folder but that didn't work. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

P.S. He's running Windows XP Pro. He doesn't remember the model number of the PC, but it was purchased in Nov. 2004, and it was supposedly their top model then. Thanks again.

ejames_nyc

A:Need help accessing Gateway "Restore Folder" (WinXP-Pro)

He can't access the folder...

Is the folder visable or can he not find it? If he is simply being denied access, it may be due to the prior permissions set up on that folder.

How to take ownership of a folder

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-accessing-gateway-restore-folder-winxp-pro.410752/
Relevancy 93.74%

I have changed from old XP computer to new windows 8

Photo files have transferred in to "Library "on new computer whereas they were in "documents and Settings in old computer

Momento photo book files can only access photos from a folder bearing the name the program has REMEMBERED...i.e. "documents and settings"

New comp will not allow me to access "documents and settings "to transfer photo files into it

DO NOT WISH TO RESET 100 PAGES OF PREVIOUSLY PREPARED BOOK

how CAN I TRANSFER PHOTO FILES INTO "DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS

A:accessing "documents and settings"folder

C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName is what Windows XP previously called the User file. The User file in all versions of Windows since then are C:\Users\yourusername. Librariess are the place holders introduced in Windows 7 with short cuts to the directories (Pictures, Music Etc) in the User File. There are no directories or files that you can access or rename called Documents and Settings.
You will have to remap the Momento Photo book to C:\Users\YourUserName\(My)Pictures\Momento Photo book or whatever the name of the file that Photobook creates.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/accessing-documents-and-settings-folder-832930.html
Relevancy 91.59%

C:\System Volume Information" /E /G Zombie :F

None of the cmd commands would work at all I've tried everything and its says the commands aren't real.

The command above is my example it did nothing.

I have a virus inside my Sysem Volume Information folder I wanted to see what VirusTotal.com would say if I sent the file to them. But dumb enough I'm not allowed to get into that folder even know I can see it. The OS doesn't allow me to just click into the folder its self.

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{7DC0BD25-810A-4646-9B02-25E7BB3740C2}\RP38\A0014125.exe (The A0014125.exe is the virus and the only file in the folder.

Anybody have any ideas what I should do?

Because this "virus" or spying .exe file came from FreeMake Video Converter.

Yet, I can only view with add now Quarantined Items.

A:Trying to get into System Volume Information Folder.

How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/trying-to-get-into-system-volume-information-folder-566892.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hi,

I have two partitions on my disk. One for the the operating system (xp pro) and the other one for data and so on. The other day decided to unmark the "hide system files and folders" option, just to try and experience.

Now, on my data partition root appeared a folder that names itself "system volume information". I cant acess that folder, and the system alerts me of some kind of nfts allocation table error, or something like that, when i try to acees it
What is that folder? Should i be worried?

Regards...

A:System Volume Information Folder

System Volume Information Folder

How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-volume-information-folder.476249/
Relevancy 91.59%

Hello all I've screwed up I don't know how it happened but I was moving around some stuff and something happened with the open volume system information folder windows got stucked to the cursor and system volume information folder when I got it to stop I've got a new mouse with some small buttons on the side and I've not managed to get used to them however I will disable those Well the problem is that when I got to unhook that window from my cursor my Gb mp folder was gone man it almost gave me a heartattack cause I've been working on that thing for years basically I found it it's somehow inside the quot D system volume information quot folder and if I dragg it out to the root of the D drive it dissapears from the sys vol dir but doesn't show up in the root at the D drive and then if I go out from the sys vol dir and go back in again basically refresh then there it is again summary cannot move my mp folder back to the D folder since it accidently got moved to d system volume information please help I'm nervous like a cat on a hot tin roof Thanks Ken

A:system volume information folder

Quote: Originally Posted by Ken1

Hello all!

I've screwed up, I don't know how it happened but I was moving around some stuff and something happened with the open windows (got stucked to the cursor) and when I got it to stop (I've got a new mouse with some small buttons on the side, and I've not managed to get used to them .. however I will disable those)

Well the problem is that when I got to unhook that window from my cursor my 300Gb + mp3 folder was gone .. man it almost gave me a heartattack, cause I've been working on that thing for years basically ...

I found it, it's somehow inside the "D:\system volume information" folder, and if I dragg it out to the root of the D drive it dissapears from the sys vol dir, but doesn't show up in the root at the D drive .. ?? and then if I go out from the sys vol dir and go back in again (basically refresh) then there it is again ..

summary: ... cannot move my mp3 folder back to the D:\ folder since it accidently got moved to d:\system volume information ..

please help .. I'm nervous like a cat on a hot tin roof

Thanks

//Ken1

Lets try the easy way first. Just go to back up and restore, to a point prior to the problem, and restore. If you are not sure how thats done just follow instructions below:

Just go to help and information, and type back up and restore, follow instructions. You will be good to go in no time. In the case of problems, just return and we will be here for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/49436-system-volume-information-folder.html
Relevancy 91.59%

hi

i'm on win2k pro and have ntfs file system; i just installed an additional 300g seagate on my pc as storage; however, i notice that it doesnt have a system volume information folder like all my other hd's; should i worry? in the past, after i create a partition to set it up, this hidden folder shows after a reboot except this time

i wonder why

thanks

A:no system volume information folder on new hd

Check Device Manager to see if the drive is designated as "removable".

You need only worry if you want System Restore to monitor that drive so that you can restore it. That may not be necessary in this case.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-system-volume-information-folder-on-new-hd.369143/
Relevancy 91.59%

I cannot see any sign of the System Volume Information folder in Explorer or any other file browser program I try.
It is not grayed out, it is not there. When I enter Tools, Folder Options, View, the Show hidden files and folders
is selected. As a matter of fact, if I then select Do not show hidden files and folders, the next time I open View,
it has gone back to Show hidden files and folders!
Even though hidden folders should therefore show, the SVI folder remains hidden.
I have examined my system by booting with BartPE XPE and there is the SVI folder with all the restore points, etc.
I am using XPPRO, NTFS.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ken Gash

A:Cannot See System Volume Information Folder

How to Show Hidden Files in Xp:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43032/how-to-show-hidden-files-in-xp/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/101711/cannot-see-system-volume-information-folder/
Relevancy 91.59%

I tried to format my 2GB USB drive in NTFS Format in WINDOWS XP. When i format the drive, it was formatted successfully, but inside the formatted drive one of the folder is created named as "System Volume Information". I tried to delete the folder, it says "Access Denied" also remove my USB drive safely but it show and error like "the Generic Volume is used in another program...". why it will happens, the folder "System Volume Information" is a virus?.. how can i overcome this problem... reply me as soon as possible.. thanks to all...

A:System Volume Information Folder in USB?

It's not a virus.

It's a system folder present on most NTFS volumes and is used primarily for system restore points (this folder is where they're saved to). It's intentionally set up so you can't simply delete it. To do that, you'll have to give yourself ownership of the folder and then assign yourself full access permissions.

If this folder bothers you, you might format your USB stick as FAT32 instead.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/198846-system-volume-information-folder-usb.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Is it safe to delete the hidden System Volume Information Folder if I am not using the system restore feature under Windows XP Pro?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-volume-information-folder.114015/
Relevancy 91.59%

When I start System Information (msinfo32.msc) it gives me, in the info panel, the following message:
Can't collect information
Cannot access the Windows Management Information software. Windows Mangement files might be moved or missing.

I checked if the WMI service is not disabled (it is automatically started, the default).

In Microsoft Mangement Console, under Services and Application, I have WMI Control. R-click, properties, and:
Failed to connect to <local computer>
because "Interface: class not registered"

What can i do?

Relevancy 91.16%

hey ok so about weeks ago ive been noticing that any cd i burn half of the cd would be un readable so for example sense access additional and "no Probs denied" (000000)" information Burner "D:\ if i were to try burning a sond cd i would only "D:\ access denied" and "no additional sense information (000000)" Burner Probs be able to listen to songs up to song or so and the rest of the songs were showing up on my cd player screen but no sounds would follow so ive tried the usuall stuff here first did a scan with adaware se and spybot and then i un installed then re installed my cd burners drivers and tested the burnign out on nero once more no success at all so heres my nero log maybe u guys can find something thanks Drive Information ----------------- "D:\ access denied" and "no additional sense information (000000)" Burner Probs Drive LITE-ON LTR- S Type CD-RW Recorder Firmware Version QS C Buffer Size MB Date Serial Number Drive Letter F Location Mechanism Tray Read Speed X Write Speed X Read CD Text Yes Return C Pointers Yes Read CD-R Yes Read CD-RW Yes Read DVD-ROM No Read DVD-RAM No Read DVD-R No Read DVD-RW No Read DVD R No Read DVD RW No Read Digital Audio Yes Read CD G Yes Read VideoCD Yes Write CD-R Yes Write CD-RW Yes Write DVD-R No Write DVD-RW No Write DVD R No Write DVD RW No Write DVD-RAM No Buffer Underrun Protection No Mount Rainier Yes Modes Packet TAO DAO SAO RAW SAO RAW SAO RAW SAO RAW DAO RAW DAO Disc Information F ------------------- Type - no disc inserted - Capacity MB Tracks Sessions CD-R W Info CMC Magnetics CD-R Drive Information ----------------- Drive Generic DVD-ROM Type DVD-ROM Drive Firmware Version Buffer Size KB Date Serial Number Drive Letter D Location Mechanism Tray Read Speed X Write Speed n a Read CD Text Yes Return C Pointers Yes Read CD-R Yes Read CD-RW Yes Read DVD-ROM Yes Read DVD-RAM Yes Read DVD-R Yes Read DVD-RW Yes Read DVD R Yes Read DVD RW Yes Read Digital Audio Yes Read CD G Yes Read VideoCD Yes Write CD-R No Write CD-RW No Write DVD-R No Write DVD-RW No Write DVD R No Write DVD RW No Write DVD-RAM No Buffer Underrun Protection No Mount Rainier No Modes n a Region Protection Control RPC II Region None Changes User Changes Vendor Disc Information D ------------------- Type - no disc inserted - Interface Information --------------------- Adapter --------- Description Primary IDE Channel Driver Description System DRIVERS atapi sys Company n a Version n a Description n a Attached Devices Description Master WDC WD JB- ETA Type Disk Drive DMA Off Adapter --------- Description Secondary IDE Channel Driver Description System DRIVERS atapi sys Company n a Version n a Description n a Attached Devices Description Master LITE-ON LTR- S Type CD-Rom Drive DMA Off Autorun On Adapter --------- Description D PRT SCSI Controller Driver Description System Drivers d prt sys Company Version built by WinDDK Description SCSI miniport Attached Devices Description ID Generic DVD-ROM Type CD-Rom Drive Autorun On Software Information -------------------- Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack ASPI Win Nero Aspi Library Ahead Software AG Description Nero - Burning Rom Version Company Ahead Software AG Driver Information ------------------ Driver ACPI Description ACPI Driver for NT Version xpsp sp rtm - Company Microsoft Corporation Driver aeaudio Description Andrea Audio Noise Cancellation Driver Version Company Andrea Electronics Corporation Driver ati mtag Description ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver Version Company ATI Technologies Inc Driver audstub Description AudStub Driver Version XPClient - Company Microsoft Corporation Driver Cdfs Description CD-ROM File System Driver Version xpsp sp rtm - Company Microsoft Corporation Driver Cdrom Description SCSI CD-ROM Driver Version xpsp sp rtm - Company Microsoft Corporation Driver d bus Description PnP BIOS Extension Version built by WinDDK Company Driver d prt Description SCSI mini... Read more

A:"D:\ access denied" and "no additional sense information (000000)" Burner Probs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/d-access-denied-and-no-additional-sense-information-000000-burner-probs.312483/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hi,
I took a performance index from a 32-bit windows 7 Enterprise installed on a desktop PC. When I click the "View and print detailed performance and system information" link just below the performance index, it says "Could not display details page". I am running
as an administrator.
what the problem may be?
thanx

A:Could not display "View and print detailed performance and system information"

Hi,
try to update your drivers and Re-run the assessment again , also take  a look at this link it will help you:
http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/145345-cannot-view-print-wei-need-some-help.htmlOussama Oueslati | System Engineer | vNext Consulting

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3535f243-4c5f-4310-b067-d05e28ab5139/could-not-display-quotview-and-print-detailed-performance-and-system-informationquot?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 91.16%

I am trying to remember the name of this program I used in tech school that would analyze a computer and then give you a detailed summery of all the hardware in the computer, all the way down to the kind of RAM you had in the machine. Any ideas?

A:Solved: Looking for a "system information" type utility to tell me about all my hardw

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-looking-for-a-system-information-type-utility-to-tell-me-about-all-my-hardw.755990/
Relevancy 90.73%

At work, there's another server in a different domain and when accessing shares we sometime get the message prompt for credentials and system detected compromised security...etc.  It's very random in nature, although, once the share comes up it then
never prompts afterwards for that session.  It's 2008 server win 7 clients.

jim_ea

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a9542624-14ac-42d7-9506-07866ef29170/accessing-share-prompts-for-credentials-with-ampquotsystem-detected-possible-attempt-to?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 90.73%

I cannot see any sign of the System Volume Information folder in Explorer or any other file browser program I try.
It is not grayed out, it is not there. When I enter Tools, Folder Options, View, the Show hidden files and folders is selected. As a matter of fact, if I then select Do not show hidden files and folders, the next time I open View, it has gone back to Show hidden files and folders!
Even though hidden folders should therefore show, the SVI folder remains hidden.
I have examined my system by booting with BartPE XPE and there is the SVI folder with all the restore points, etc.
I am using XPPRO, NTFS.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ken Gash

Relevancy 90.73%

How can I view the System Volume Information folder?

A:How can I view the System Volume Information folder?

Right-click, Properties. Give yourself permission under the Security tab.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-view-the-system-volume-information-folder.413974/
Relevancy 90.73%

In one it swelled from something MB to almost MB here is a HijackThis Log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Volume Folder System Huge Information Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC Huge System Volume Information Folder WINDOWS system csrss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS Huge System Volume Information Folder Explorer EXEC Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic sched exeC Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avguard exeC WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA EXEC Program Files ewido anti-malware ewidoctrl exeC Program Files CyberLink DVD Solution PowerDVD PDVDServ exeC Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXEC Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exeC Program Files AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic avgnt exeC WINDOWS system LVCOMSX EXEC Program Files Logitech Video LogiTray exeC Program Files Canon Memory Card Utility iP D PDUiP DMon exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Spyware Doctor swdoctor exeC Program Files Logitech Video FxSvr exeC WINDOWS system nvsvc exeC Program Files Spyware Doctor sdhelp exeC WINDOWS system slserv exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system wdfmgr exeC WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exeC Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exeC WINDOWS System alg exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll p amp ar iesearchR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http edmontononline net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www microsoft com isapi redir dll p amp ar msnhomeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http www microsoft com isapi redir dll p amp ar iesearchR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll p amp ar iesearchR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www microsoft com isapi redir dll p ER amp ar homeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext wmplayer exe ICWLaunchR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride lt local gt localhostO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocxO - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdsg dllO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c windows googletoolbar dllO - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - C PROGRA SPYWAR tools iesdpb dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c windows googletoolbar dllO - HKLM Run Picasa Media Detector C Program Files Picasa PicasaMediaDetector exeO - HKLM Run RemoteControl quot C Program Files CyberLink DVD Solution PowerDVD PDVDServ exe quot O - HKLM Run InCD C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exeO - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exeO - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osbootO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeO - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client quot C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe quot O - HKLM Run KONICA MINOLTA PagePro WStatusDisplay C WINDOWS system MSTMON Q EXEO - HKLM Run avgnt quot C ... Read more

A:Huge System Volume Information Folder

Hello IHateAbnormalities and welcome to the BC HijackThis forum. I see no signs of viruses or malware in this log. It is clean.

The System Volume Information folder is where system restore points are stored. The disk space used is a percentage of the disk size so 800MB is not an unreasonable amount of space for this folder to use. You can specify the amount of space used by system restore by going to the Control Panel and then the System applet. Click on the System Restore tab to see and/or set the current settings.

Cheers.

OT

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/56478/huge-system-volume-information-folder/
Relevancy 90.73%

Hi..

I have quite a small hard drive and am constantly battling for space on my c drive.

I use windirstat a lot and it tells me that a lot of items are in the system volume information _restore folder.. and some are taking a lot of space.

I checked Google and it says that this is the folder where my restore information is stored, now the thing is that I have disabled system restore. It was deactivated as soon as I started running short on space which was an year back.

So why is this folder still there? Is there a "safe" was to delete this?

Thanks

A:system volume information _restore folder

If SR is disabled...the folder is empty.

It cannot be deleted permanently, it's a Windows system folder and loads when Windows loads.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/465585/system-volume-information-restore-folder/
Relevancy 90.73%

I've got this Keylog-Briss virus in my system volume information folder. Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't that folder pertain to my restore points and whatnot? If so, I'm pretty sure that McAfee can't scan that folder because of access rights. So how do I get in there and get it out?

A:Virus in system volume information folder. How do I get rid of it?

Turn off system restore by following instructions here
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039 for Xp
or here
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001012513122239 for ME

That will purge the restore folder and clear any malware that has been put in there. Then reboot & then re-enable sytem restore & create a new restore point.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/virus-in-system-volume-information-folder-how-do-i-get-rid-of-it.215453/
Relevancy 90.73%

Is it normal for a brand new external drive bought in year 2013 to have a system volume information folder that is created in 2012? I thought the folder should be the date it is first plug into a computer?

A:Question regarding system volume information folder

The folder would keep the time stamp of when it was created. It's not unheard of, the seller may have had it a long time or the vendor they got it from. I have bought new drives with a year-old production date.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/315151-question-regarding-system-volume-information-folder.html
Relevancy 90.73%

I use an external portable hard drive for backups of my downloaded programs and system backup (not scheduled just manual backups). There is an empty folder "System Volume Information" but i can't remove it.

A:Unwanted System Volume Information folder

Quote: Originally Posted by LM2008

I use an external portable hard drive for backups of my downloaded programs and system backup (not scheduled just manual backups). There is an empty folder "System Volume Information" but i can't remove it.

That probably came with the drive. And it may not be empty - just hidden files. I would not delete it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/99159-unwanted-system-volume-information-folder.html
Relevancy 90.73%

i have a problem with the spybot.worm.gen virus and McAfee is telling me that the virus is located in the System Volume Information folder. However, even when I uncheck to show all folders and files, I cannot see it. I have searched over and over and cannot put a location on it. What can I do??? Many thanks!

Relevancy 90.73%

Win SP My System Volume folder Information Folder Giant System Volume is gigantic right now almost GB I thought I could decrease that by deleting some older restore points with CrapCleaner When I looked at the SR points in CC there is only one there the most receont one created today Is that possible---one restore point ten GB in size Or---has Giant System Volume Information Folder something gone wrong If so any way to fix it Anyone have an idea what could Giant System Volume Information Folder be going wrong with that--a GB SV folder with only one restore point in it Of course one solution would be to turn off system restore so that everything in that folder is deleted then start it again However if something goes wrong with the computer that SR point could be a lifesaver necessary to restore Giant System Volume Information Folder the system -------------- One other question--can the contents of the SVI folder be copied to an external HDD for backup I have taken ownership of the folder and given myself full permission on it and subfolders before turning SR off and on Then if necessary to use that saved SR point copy those contents back to the SVI folder of the original drive

A:Giant System Volume Information Folder

Well, you can actually start system restore and then click "Choose a different restore point" to display the other available points, see this tut.

System Restore

You can also a 3rd party tool like QRM Plus manager to take a look at the points.

How To Delete Individual Restore Points In Windows 7

Its possible the previous restore points got deleted for some reason or theres insufficient space allotted to them. You can set that space this way.

System Protection - Change Disk Space Usage

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/172869-giant-system-volume-information-folder.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Dear gurus,
My antivirus detected (in Windows XP drived computer) Trojan.PWS.Panda.20 in System Volume Information folder.
The messages are:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore(8C5911F4-B9DB-47F2-B998-767C59C667B6)\RP178\A0059154.exe\gziped.gz is infected by Trojan.PWS.Panda.20
and
C:\System Volume Information\_restore(8C5911F4-B9DB-47F2-B998-767C59C667B6)\RP178\A0059154.exe &#8211; archive contains infected objects.

How dangerows this infection and how can I cure it?

A:Trojan in System Volume Information folder -what to do?.

Turn off System Restore, then turn it back on. That usually flushes those out.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trojan-in-system-volume-information-folder-what-to-do.774495/
Relevancy 90.73%

I have been noticing recently my C drive gets occupied fully 100 Volume Information occupied System folder gb even if there are no bigger programs installed Out of gb after uninstalling few programs the space left was gb Day by day it started decreasing and i saw gb today I used the disk cleanup tool and it shows only mb after selecting all fields I was worried still that space was not freeing and ran this program WinDirStat Here are the screenshots System Volume information folder occupies of space - meaning gb There are lot of files which were around gb - gb and they are created from Can somebody tell me why gb I read that this service is important System Volume Information folder occupied 100 gb but why is it taking this much of space please help to remove these unwanted older files if System Volume Information folder occupied 100 gb any FYI I tried below options after googling and also searching in this forum Used disk clean up tool and selected more options gt system restore and shadow copies gt deleteDisabling and Enabling System restoreDeleting shadow copies through VSSAdmin Delete Shadows commandVirus scan in System Volume Information folder after taking ownership of that folder through Kaspersky and ESET SSManual delete of the files Selecting delete option in System Protection gt ConfigureChanging maximum usage to some x I have tried all these methods but still those files are existing Please help

A:System Volume Information folder occupied 100 gb

System Volume Information contains:
System Restore pointsDistributed Link Tracking Service databases for repairing your shortcuts and linked documents.Content Indexing Service databases for fast file searchesInformation used by the Volume Shadow Copy.

Since you cannot delete anything from this folder while Windows is running. The quick way is to delete the whole folder using Linux Slacko Puppy.
Download the ISO (160MB) :Slacko Puppy Linux . Click one of the link shown on screen shot #1.Create a bootable USB Using Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy wayBoot from USB, the screen should look like the screen shot. From the bottom left #2 of the screen. The HDs mounted as sda1, sda2 ... and one of these is your C: Drive.Find the System Volume Information, right click and delete it.Disconnect the USB and reboot Windows, a new System Volume Information folder should be created

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/49587-system-volume-information-folder-occupied-100-gb.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Hello everyone I have a HJT log for you guys to take a look at I got a message from my AVG telling me I had a threat detected and it came up under my E System Volume Information E is Log trojan System HJT Volume and a folder Information in a secondary drive with four different files saying A exe AVG was able to get rid of one of these files but the other HJT Log and a trojan in System Volume Information folder three say they aren t accessible I m not sure how to access that folder or those files I figured I d run a HijackThis log too to make sure everything else was going okay Here s the log and many thanks in advance Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files AVG AVG avgchsvx exeC Program Files AVG AVG avgrsx exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exeC WINDOWS system hkcmd exeC WINDOWS system igfxpers exeC Program Files Analog Devices Core smax pnp exeC Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exeC Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint ipoint exeC Program Files Mbps Wirless Network USB Dongle acs exeC Program Files Microsoft IntelliType Pro itype exeC PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exeC Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeD Program Files Spyware Programs Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files AVG AVG avgnsx exeC Program Files Canon CAL CALMAIN exeC Documents and Settings Charles Application Data mjusbsp magicJack exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC Documents and Settings Charles Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exeC Documents and Settings Charles Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exeE HiJackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http news google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localO - BHO HP Print Enhancer - C E- - -BF - C - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dllO - BHO HP Print Clips - F -DC - -A C- F D C - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp framework dllO - BHO AskBar BHO - f d - - d - c -aa e ed - C Program Files AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dllO - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - D Program Files Spyware Programs Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dllO - Toolbar DAEMON Tools Toolbar - AAC-C - - E A- E A E - C Program Files DAEMON Tools Toolbar DTToolbar dllO - Toolbar Foxit Toolbar - d e-fd b- e -b - d b f - C Program Files AskBarDis bar bin askBar dllO - HKLM Run igfxtray C WINDOWS system igfxtra... Read more

A:HJT Log and a trojan in System Volume Information folder

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/313677/hjt-log-and-a-trojan-in-system-volume-information-folder/
Relevancy 90.73%

When I first bought my TB Iomega Network Drive I tried to do a copy or clone or something of my entire hard-drive It didn t work out well because I was doing it wirelessly and about half-way through every time it crashed I could never get it to finish I went through and tried to VOLUME SYSTEM delete to FOLDER INFORMATION How delete all the files in the folder I saved them into called backups and was able to delete nearly everything some things I had to right-click and go to properties and uncheck quot Read-Only quot to make it go away but for some reason I cannot get rid of the folder leftover called quot System Volume Information quot I tried unchecking quot Read-Only quot but it doesn t seem to help I tried also using a program that allows you to quot Take Ownership quot but that How to delete SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION FOLDER doesn t help either Please see the photos and the contents of the folder lt a href quot http s photobucket com albums u heavyjavadrinker internet action view amp amp current rd-folder jpg quot target quot blank quot gt lt img src quot http i How to delete SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION FOLDER photobucket com albums u heavyjavadrinker internet rd-folder jpg quot border quot quot alt quot Photobucket quot gt lt a gt

A:How to delete SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION FOLDER

You can delete the contents of the System Volume Information folders, but not the folders themselves. If you don't use system restore just disable it. All restore points will be deleted immediately.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/400454/how-to-delete-system-volume-information-folder/
Relevancy 90.73%

Note See Additional Information at the bottom first This is not an emergency at this time I'm trying to understand it for future use when it could be an emergency Volume System folder is empty Information I'm using Windows XP Pro SP FAT not NTFS When following Charlie White's quot Windows Crashed Here's Help quot tutorial http webcast broadcastnewsroom com e jsp id to restore my crashed C drive I came to the part where he says quot Open the System Volume Information folder quot However when System Volume Information folder is empty I opened it it was empty I have done this same procedure before and the System Volume Information folder is empty folder was loaded with files which I used as instructed in the tutorial but this System Volume Information folder is empty time the folder was empty Somehow these files seem to have been deleted Here are the relevant instructions Open My Computer Click on the Tools menu then click Folder Options Click the View tab Under Hidden files and folders click to select Show hidden files and folders and then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files Recommended check box Click Yes when the dialog box that confirms that you want to display these files appears In My Computer Double-click the drive where you installed Windows XP usually Drive C to display a list of the folders then double-click on the quot System Volume Information quot folder This folder contains the system restore points stored on your computer The folders will look similar to this restore EE BEB - A- F- - D C E C I do have administrative rights and the folder is not hidden I can see the folder and when I open it it is empty New software I've installed in the past three months are starting with the latest Trend Micro's Hijack This Ahead's Nero v which came with a CD drive Windows Installer Cleanup a-squared free TrayIt WMA Cutter-Joiner HDD Health Ultra Defrag and WinSize I've also downloaded and installed all the Windows Update files for my system I've run multiple scans with AVG Anti-Virus free AVG Anti-Spyware free Ad-Aware free SpyBot S amp D Sophos Anti-Rootkit and Panda online scan They collectively found quot traces quot in cookies which I deleted Nothing substantial Now here's a strange thing When I reached this part in the instructions and couldn't go any further I thought I was sunk so in desperation I simply tried running System Restore -- AND IT WORKED I am now using my restored C drive as I type this Here are my questions Why did Charlie White only put in the instructions to do it the hard way it takes a lot of typing cutting and pasting if System Restore is available at this point as it was for me He could have suggested trying it if it was available but there is no mention of using System Restore which saved the day for me I'm thinking about the next time Where did the folder contents go and why aren't they there as they should be and were before And how can I get them back short of reinstalling Windows Thank you for any insights Frank D Additional information I made a mistake in thinking I had unchecked the quot Hide protected operating system files quot check box when I had only selected the quot Show hidden files and folders quot option So my Question has been answered the folder wasn't empty the files were just not being displayed However my Question still stands Why not use System Restore if it's there and it works

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-volume-information-folder-is-empty-219763.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Hey guys:

I'm an idiot!!! Last night I deleted my System Volume Information folder off of a Raid-0 set of hard drives. As I mentioned, this raid set is not drive with my XP on it. This is just a drive for storage of pictures, video, and other programs I prefer not to have on my C:\. I did take go as far as to turn off System Restore before deleting it. Now when I boot up I cannot access the drive at all. It tells me that "The drive is not formatted. Do I want to format it now?."

I don't want to do that and I am wondering if there is a way to create a new System Volume Information folder so I can access the drive again???

Thanks

A:Deleted System Volume Information Folder on a Non-Operating system drive???

I think you are connecting the dots...where there is no connection.

Deleting a system volume folder...isn't possible by me, even when system restore is not used (I always disable SR immediately after a clean install). Even though the folders are empty and I don't have SR employed, the system won't allow me to delete these empty folders.

I believe that the problem is your RAID setup...perhaps you ought to try to repair it.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/263046/deleted-system-volume-information-folder-on-a-non-operating-system-drive/
Relevancy 90.73%

I am using Windows XP Pro and recently created a restore point in my System Restore program. This was over a month ago, and I no longer need that restore point. When I defrag with either Diskeeper or Norton Speedisk, I get a report on a good number of defragmented/defragmentable files, most of which are in the Restore folder in my System Volume Information folder. I was able to access my System Volume folder and found the offending file but hesitate to delete that file unless I can be assured that I can do so safely.

Would a simple delete be okay?

Attached is a screenshot of the folder in my Systems Information folder.

A:Safe to a Delete System Restore Folder from System Volume Information?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/safe-to-a-delete-system-restore-folder-from-system-volume-information.179567/
Relevancy 89.44%

On my Dell Windows 7 laptop (Studio 1555) I have the System Volume Information showing (despite checking "hide system files" and hide hidden folder options enabled). The folder is also accessable from my admin account (not the root admin but the admin of the PC).

Dell Studio 1555
Windows 7 SP1 x64 (all updates installed)
Norton Internet Security 2013.

A:System Volume Information folder showing on my Dell PC

I've done a factory re-install of Windows and the folders are still showing.  I think it's showing by default for that particular Dell model.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481222/system-volume-information-folder-showing-on-my-dell-pc/
Relevancy 89.44%

I did google a few times but couldn't find too information System Volume Window and large. folder a way to solve I'm using Windows pro x I think I upgraded from windows home edition I had same problem last week but while I was cleaning out some Window folder and System Volume information too large. stuff windows was updated so I had to restart and then there suddenly was gbs free space But ever since last update my HDD is down to attachments I'm on laptop with followings ASUS N JQ-X -Inch Laptop GHz Intel Core i - QM Quad-Core Processor GB DDR GB HDD Windows Home Premium I'm using TuneUp Utilities luckily the new guys who took over and messed up TuneUp stuff decided not to mess with anything before version with Avast As you guys can see from my Window folder and System Volume information too large. attachments Windows folder and System Volume Information alone are taking Gbs I'm also wondering if I need all these crabs with amd -microsoft-naturallanguages-blahblahblah I have files of these Window folder and System Volume information too large. craps I do keep it hibernation which is about gbs I moved system restore point to external HDD so no back up whatsoever in C drive all games except few which are located in D drive are located in external HDD Is there any way I can possibly clean up from windows and system volume information without harming my computer btw I didn't do a single format ever since I bought this computer because it still runs smoothly The only thing that's bothering me right now is C drive space and I don't want to format because I'm going to grab a new machine for programming at the end of the year and for star citizen So yeah Is there way to permanently free up to at least gbs That'll help me a lot with everything Thanks in advance

A:Window folder and System Volume information too large.

Note: I see you moved System Restore to another drive, no idea how that affects the following! Follow it regardless.

Avast Bug

Please read https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=162041.0
Also check https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=166697.0

Avast sets System Restore disk usage % to 50.

You can try:
- go to control panel-> programs and features -> Avast -> change
- remove the component NG (down below).
- change % back to 10% (windows default) or whatever you like it
- restart
- check if % is what you set
- check restore points (seems this NG delete old restore points when run out of space)
- manually create a restore point if there are none
- open command prompt ->vssadmin list shadowstorage
- see how much space it takes.

You can also try uninstalling Grimefighter if above won't solve your problem.

For Windows folder:
Did you run Disk Cleanup yet?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/371289-window-folder-system-volume-information-too-large.html
Relevancy 89.44%

in my computer all the hard drives show a recycler and a system volume information folder.even when i insert a pendrive into my computer these two folders are shown. when i delet them it disappears only to come back after a few seconds. is this something to worry?moreover, when i turn on my computer the desktop icons are not the actual ones but after some seconds it becomes ok. please help

A:procreating receycler and System volume information folder

Hi .

I think you meant...recreating, not procreating . In any case, I understand the question.

Those folders automatically appear on any drive (other than optical) which is attached/installed on a system...it's the way Windows operates.

So there is nothing to worry about and they are system files/folders which are there for a reason.

Same for the icon thing, nothing to worry about...perfectly normal, it takes a while for things to get settled.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/175724/procreating-receycler-and-system-volume-information-folder/
Relevancy 89.44%

I was browsing a web page and suddenly firefox gave me an security alert that my computer might be in danger therefore all my harddrives should be scanned Unfortunately I clicked OK After that a fake online-scanner webpage came out according to that web-page it was scanning my harddrives in order to find the viruses So I immediately closed that fake web-page within or seconds and turned I Volume Information a Am question System about infected?And folder off Adsl modem and disconnected from internet Although I do not have problems with my computer at this moment no slowdowns ram and cpu usage is normal I am still not sure whether my computer is infected by any kind of viruses or not I Am I infected?And a question about System Volume Information folder made a full scan with malwarebytes and kaspersky internet security trial version in safe mode No viruses found But I would like to indicate that during scanning with kaspersky the scanning process stucked at and I was able to complete the scanning process by stopping and then resuming the scan So should I generate a HijackThis log now or what prodecure should I follow I also have another question to ask I have windows installed as OS I checked Am I infected?And a question about System Volume Information folder the System Am I infected?And a question about System Volume Information folder Volume Information folders for all the partitions for a possible virus infection I have C D my first harddisk and G my second harddisk partitions I ve seen that regarding the D and G partitions for System Volume Information subfolders SPP etc only SYSTEM has the permission full control On the other hand regarding the C for the subfolders SPP System Restore Windows Backup etc Both SYSTEM and administrators have the permissions full control and for the subfolders of SPP such as SppGroupCache and SppCBSHiveStore USERS limited control SYSTEM full control and administrators full control have permissions Is this normal If it is not can a virus cause this Should I remove the permissions of USERS and administrators and leave only the permission of SYSTEM Thanks in advance

A:Am I infected?And a question about System Volume Information folder

Hello.

Are you experiencing any symptoms that lead you to believe that you may be infected?

As for the SVI folders, you should not alter those permissions.

~Blade

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/393763/am-i-infectedand-a-question-about-system-volume-information-folder/
Relevancy 89.44%

Hello All,

I have several PCs at home, one with Vista Ultimate (mine) and one with XP Home SP2 (my wife's). Both PCs have personal accounts with passwords. On the Vista PC, I am able to share a folder on my "D:" data drive with no difficulty using the right click Share... menu item from Windows Explorer. I can see and contribute to this folder from the XP PC just fine. What I am not able to do is share the "Documents" folder and its contents from Vista. When I share this folder by the same method, all I see on the XP PC is a "Users" folder and "Default User" within that. I'm guessing that this folder might have special properties that are different than the Vanilla "D:" folder. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

A:Trouble sharing "Documents" folder to XP Home from Vista Ultimate

Yup. Remember back when you put a password on the Vista machine. It asked you if you wanted to make your files private. You said "yes," making all files in your profile inaccessible to everyone but you.

Easy fix. Create a new account on your computer using your wife's username and password. When you share the folder now (and you will have to reshare), she should be able to access them from her computer.

Courtney

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-sharing-documents-folder-to-xp-home-from-vista-ultimate.648073/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello friends!

I am working with Windows XP SP2. I am facing a problem in accessing the folder alled "Syatem Volume Information". I found this folder in all the drives of my HDD, but whenever I click in any of them using Windows Explorer, I get an error saying "System Volume Information is not accessable, Access is denied".

I have disabled the System Restore feature and I guess this folder is used to store files of System Restore. Even after disabling System Restore, there are files left in this folder which is using a good amount of my HDD space.

Please tell me as to how can I access the contents of this folder and is it safe to delete whatever is in that folder. Moreover, as I already disabled the system restore feature, is there a way to completely remove this folder.

Thank you.

A:Solved: Problem to access System Volume Information Folder?

Hi,

Yes, the SVI (System Volume Information) folder is where SR (System Restore) restore points are stored. SR will place a SVI folder on every partition it sees. This will include external hard drives and some flash drives. There is no way to permanently remove the SVI folder, other than hiding the partition with 3ed party partitioning software. Normally disabling SR empties the SVI folder.

Here are instruction on how to access the SVI folder.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#SRFileLocation

If the Indexing Service is turned on you will see a catalog.wci folder in the SVI folder.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-problem-to-access-system-volume-information-folder.462057/
Relevancy 88.58%

Over the last two months, for no apparent reason, the SVI grew 44 GB, eating up precious HD space. For what I can see the system is creating Restore Points at a pace exceeding one each 7 days or each time a system update is made.
I need to a) eliminate about 32 GB of restore points (averaging 3.5 GB each) since Nov 2014 and b) set restore point pace back to normal.
Thanks in advance

A:SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION folder grew 50% in 2 months. Need to trim

Check the registry entry shown in This Post

Personally I reckon it's best to disable system restore entirely and make regular system image backups.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/359320-system-volume-information-folder-grew-50-2-months-need-trim.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi and thanks in advance for any help I definitely have a little delete Volume my and How do folder? services.exe smss.exe I Information from System spyware on this computer It s Windows XP It only manifests itself by either turning my master wave volume all the way down or random audio ads that come from nowhere Also Internet Explorer windows open infrequently with ads out of nowhere I ve run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware rkill SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot Search and Destroy and they pick up nothing Hitman is the only thing to pick up two problems labeled quot smss exe quot and quot services exe quot in the C System Volume Information Microsoft folder I ve gained access to it by changing view and security settings and tried to manually delete the two files which are labeled as quot File Loaders quot and quot Black Internet quot It always says access is denied even when using Unlocker Any attempt to delete upon reboot using Unlocker hasn t worked Hitman finds them says it s removing them and then says they will be removed upon reboot I How do I delete services.exe and smss.exe from my System Volume Information folder? reboot and either one or How do I delete services.exe and smss.exe from my System Volume Information folder? both are still there Any ideas Incidentally when it starts up after rebooting Spybot picks up that an important registry entry has been changed and asks if I want to allow the change to the entry quot BootExecute Old data autocheck autochk bootdelete New data autocheck autochk quot I ve tried both allowing it and denying it and the trojans are still there Thanks for any help

A:How do I delete services.exe and smss.exe from my System Volume Information folder?

Hello, the C:\System Volume Information\Microsoft folder is the System Restore Point folder.Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state. The easiest and safest way to do this is:Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.Go to Start > Run and type: CleanmgrClick "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"Click Yes, then click Ok.Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically. Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links: Create a New Restore Point in Vista or Windows 7 and Disk Cleanup in Vista.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/326120/how-do-i-delete-servicesexe-and-smssexe-from-my-system-volume-information-folder/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi i m suspect it had been volume information delete svchost.exe folder Couldn't in system infected since it turn into blue screen and it reboot once right after that my laptop acting strange with the following symptoms There is these additional folder in C which Couldn't delete svchost.exe in system volume information folder are Recycler amp System volume information which would appear again after reboot even it were deleted I was once able to trace that svchost exe to run in C winxp system locking the folder System volume information by using Unlocker but unable to run for Couldn't delete svchost.exe in system volume information folder second time The svchost exe is using great amount of memory usage K as shown in Task Manager As i m browsing Internet Outlook express and Windows Messenger would pop out automatically without i m clicking it When i m browsing using Firefox it would appear another unknown Couldn't delete svchost.exe in system volume information folder webpage for about second before display the correct webpage I m using Kaspersky Internet security chinese version but could not detect any virus thread Folder in Windows explorer would display a pop up showing the details of the folder even the view type is tiles Appreciate your help in advance DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Admin at on -Jan- Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT FW ZoneAlarm Firewall Enabled Running Processes C WINXP system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINXP System svchost exe -k netsvcs C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe svchost exe svchost exe C WINXP Explorer EXE C Program Files CheckPoint ZAForceField IswSvc exe C WINXP system spoolsv exe svchost exe C Program Files CheckPoint ZAForceField ForceField exe C Program Files Macrium Reflect ReflectService exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINXP system fxssvc exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint ipoint exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliType Pro itype exe C Program Files SigmaTel C-Major Audio WDM stsystra exe C WINXP system igfxpers exe C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe c Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint dpupdchk exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C WINXP system ctfmon exe C Program Files Speaking Clock spclock exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin Dot XCfg exe C Program Files Internet Download Manager IEMonitor exe C WINXP system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINXP System svchost exe -k HTTPFilter C Program Files Freedom Scientific JAWS jfw exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe c Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint components commands dpgmgy magnify exe C Documents and Settings Admin My Documents Downloads Programs dds EXE Pseudo HJT Report uLocal Page c winxp pchealth helpctr system panels blank htm uStart Page about blank mLocal Page c winxp pchealth helpctr system panels blank htm mStart Page about blank uURLSearchHooks ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar da e a- - f c-b e- de ab - c program files zonealarm security tbZone dll BHO IDMIEHlprObj Class c - - b-a bf- b c a a - c program files internet download manager IDMIECC dll BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO IEVkbdBHO Class ab -e d - f -a a - fa cca c - c program files kaspersky lab ievkbd dll BHO ZoneAlarm Security Engine Registrar a a c - - d c-bd d- cb eed e - c program files checkpoint zaforcefield trustchecker bin TrustCheckerIEPlugin dll BHO ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar da e a- - f c-b e- de ab - c program files zonealarm security tbZone dll BHO FilterBHO Class e cf -d - a- f - f a f - c program files kaspersky lab klwtbbho dll TB ZoneAlarm Security Toolbar da e a- - f c-b e- de ab - c program files zonealarm security tbZone dll TB ZoneAlarm Security ... Read more

A:Couldn't delete svchost.exe in system volume information folder

Hello and Welcome to the forums! My name is Gringo and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. Somethings to remember while we are working together.Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!Please Do not Attach logs or put in code boxes.Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can help also.Do not run anything while running a fix.We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.Click on the Watch Topic Button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.In order for me to see the status of the infection I will need a new set of logs to start with.Please print out or make a copy in notpad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.DeFogger: Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
The application window will appear Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers Click Yes to continue A 'Finished!' message will appear Click OKDeFogger may ask you to reboot the machine, if it does - click OKDo not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.Download DDS:Please download DDS by sUBs from one of the links below and save it to your desktop:
Download DDS and save it to your desktop

Link1
Link2
Link3

Please disable any anti-malware program that will block scripts from running before running DDS.

Double-Click on dds.scr and a command window will appear. This is normal.Shortly after two logs will appear:
DDS.txt Attach.txtA window will open instructing you save & post the logsSave the logs to a convenient place such as your desktopCopy the contents of both logs & post in your next replyScan With RKUnHookerPlease Download Rootkit Unhooker Save it to your desktop.Now double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to run it.Click the Report tab, then click Scan.Check (Tick) Drivers, Stealth,. Uncheck the rest. then Click OK.Wait till the scanner has finished and then click File, Save Report.Save the report somewhere where you can find it. Click Close.Copy the entire contents of the report and paste it in a reply here.Note** you may get this warning it is ok, just ignore"Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself!It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?""just click on Cancel, then Accept".information and logs:In your next post I need the following

.logs from DDSlog from RKUnHookerlet me know of any problems you may have hadGringo

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/371291/couldnt-delete-svchostexe-in-system-volume-information-folder/
Relevancy 88.58%

I m on a Windows XP computer SYSTEM INSANE] help, me folder? VOLUME How remove it's to INFORMATION [Please driving My C drive which is main has a total of GB of space but I only have KB of free space How to remove SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION folder? [Please help, it's driving me INSANE] left The hidden System Volume Information How to remove SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION folder? [Please help, it's driving me INSANE] folder is taking up GB of space Meaning I am only using like GB for program and personal files And as we all know you can t just directly delete the System Volume Information folder since it has something to do with the System Restore stuff which is turned off I have tried every method on the internet to help me but nothing is working I tried installing CCleaner but that can t be installed as I only have KB left on the C drive and when I try to download it into a flash drive and install it from there to use the program it won t work I NEED TO GET RID OF THIS SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION folder I think I ve come to a point where I don t care if I screw up the system restore by directly deleting the folder I NEED THOSE GB Is there ANY safe way to get rid of it I can t even start a new restore point Also another problem I m having is whenever I drag cut or copy a folder or item from any of the drives on My Computer it freezes I ll be VERY thankful to those who help nbsp

A:How to remove SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION folder? [Please help, it's driving me INSANE]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-remove-system-volume-information-folder-please-help-its-driving-me-insane.1006359/
Relevancy 88.58%

I am unable to rid my system of a trojan since it is located in the System Volume Information folder which I am unable to access I ve researched methods of gaining access to this area but have still been unsuccessful Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated Thank you Here is the excerpt from my Avira AntiVirus scan log denoting the location of the trojan Begin scan in C C pagefile sys WARNING The file could not be opened NOTE This file is a Windows system file NOTE This file cannot be opened for scanning C System Volume Information restore BDB- D- BC-A -B E E A RP A dll DETECTION Is the TR Fakeinit Trojan C System Volume Information restore BDB- D- BC-A -B E E A RP A dll DETECTION Is the TR Fakeinit Trojan C WINDOWS system ndisdrv sys DETECTION Trojan Folder Volume in System TR/Fakeinit.17408 Information Contains recognition pattern of the RKIT Tiny HL root kit Next here is my HijackThis scan log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v BETA Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode with network support Running TR/Fakeinit.17408 Trojan in System Volume Information Folder processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost TR/Fakeinit.17408 Trojan in System Volume Information Folder exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C Program Files HijackThis TrendMicro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dll O - BHO AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - HKLM Run SoundMAXPnP C Program Files Analog Devices Core smax pnp exe O - HKLM Run igfxtray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run igfxhkcmd C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run igfxpers C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe O - HKLM Run GrooveMonitor quot C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run avgnt quot C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avgnt exe quot min O - HKLM RunOnce InnoSetupRegFile quot C WINDOWS is- A exe quot REG O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Run cdloader quot C Documents and Settings Owner Application Data mjusbsp cdloader exe quot MAGICJACK O - S- - - Startup LimeWire On Startup lnk C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe User SYSTEM O - S- - - Startup Logitech Product Registration lnk C Program Files Logitech QuickCam eReg exe User SYSTEM O - DEFAULT Startup LimeWire On Startup lnk C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe User Default user O - DEFAULT Startup Logitech Product Registration lnk C Program Files Logitech QuickCam eReg exe User Default user O - Startup LimeWire On Startup lnk C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe O - Startup Logitech Product Registration lnk C Program F... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/tr-fakeinit-17408-trojan-in-system-volume-information-folder.896361/
Relevancy 88.58%

This is really bothering me. I disabled the System Restore function, but my SVI folder still contains over 10GB of data! And I find it hard to believe that the indexing service uses up this much space... so, what can I do to free up all this space?

Relevancy 88.58%

i have just recently installed avast antivirus. the first scan came up with 2 viruses. i deleted the first one because it just infected a game. the second, i didnt, because i dont know what harm it could do to my computer.

the scan came up with:

c:/system volume information\_restore{05779BB2...SomeMoreNumbers....34.des is infected with Win32:sdbot_47

i didnt delete it yet. what can i do???

before installing avast, i have mcafee antivir installed but the virus didnt show up.

currently, these are on my computer: mcafee antivirus, avast, zone alarm, ad aware, spybot. i just downloaded all of these 2 days ago except for mcafee which i have had forever.

A:System Volume Information Folder Infected With Win32:sdbot

Hi some info here......... http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pe...px?id=453088763 it also appeers that it is in your system restore,you might have to disable system restore to delete it..... Hope this helps...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/36198/system-volume-information-folder-infected-with-win32sdbot/
Relevancy 88.58%

okay, so I think i got this virus a while ago, but the pop-ups werent too bad. so i would just ignore them (i know that probably wasnt the best idea) but now they are super annoying and i really want to get rid of this stupid virus or whatever it is. I have ran, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Avast, and so far only Symantec Antivirus has been able to detect the virus. Im not the best with figuring out things on the computer, so i think im gonna need a lot of help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/backdoor-tidserv-inf-virus-in-my-system-volume-information-folder-please-help.915241/
Relevancy 88.58%

I am running Windows 7 SP1 x64 (all latest updates auto apllied) and have recently moved to a EFI RAID0, RAID1, RAID5 system based, i.e All virtual volumes are initialised as GPT

On all volumes there is the standard 128MB partition (in the first sectors of volume) for the GPT header however; on the system volume, as the very last sectors, there is also a 105MB partition called "NO NAME" with a file system of "(OEM Service Volume)", what is this partition, how did it get there and can I delete it?

I used Intel Rapid STorage Technology to create the volume and Win7 Disk Manager to create the partitions and initialise the volumes

Any help for this reasonably computer literate amateur would be most apreciated

A:105MB partition "NO NAME" File System (OEM Service Volume) - whats it?

To give us a better look at the partition, search Disk Management in the Start Menu search and take a screenshot of what you see.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/194676-105mb-partition-no-name-file-system-oem-service-volume-whats.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I have a toshiba with a windows bit and it's been acting really slow recently and freezing up on me so I thought there working sfc on volume not corrupt" is "system scan and disk might be viruses that I needed to "system volume on disk is corrupt" and sfc scan not working get rid of so I restarted my computer so I could go in safe mode with networking to check if there really were When I restarted my computer I momentarily forgot to press the f key and the windows starting screen with the logo showed up Without thinking I turned off my computer since I didn't want to restart again it took forever for the computer to do Once I turned the laptop on again I ended up going to system repair For some reason this did nothing to my computer I left it on for hours and hours until I finally decided I wasn't going to get any results I once again restarted the laptop but this time when I went to system repair I cancelled it and when into more options and tried doing a system restore which "system volume on disk is corrupt" and sfc scan not working also didn't work and said a bunch of my files couldn't be read When I looked back at the system repair log it said quot system volume on disk "system volume on disk is corrupt" and sfc scan not working is corrupt quot I googled it trying to find something to help me and every place said to run sfc scan which I did on command prompt which always gave me the reply quot there's a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete quot and since my computer can't reboot properly no matter what this is what it'll say Is there some way to run this scan or another way to fix my computer without having to lose all my data I have some really important files on here I've also tried running chkdsk r f in command prompt which it wouldn't let me do and said it can't lock the current drive because the type of file sytem is NTFS

A:"system volume on disk is corrupt" and sfc scan not working

I suggest first before doing anymore repairs you need to make a backup of all your important data so as not to lose it.

A linux live cd choosing to run off the cd not install go to the windows installation and backup all your data to an ext hdd.

Then using startup repair option at F8 option choose choose the windows installation by highlightlng and choose next go to cmd prompt and type: chkdsk /r press enter

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/234153-system-volume-disk-corrupt-sfc-scan-not-working.html
Relevancy 88.58%

I recently bought and installed Windows Home Premium OEM onto my HP G which is now years old I had Win home Premium on it when I bought it but the hard drive broke and I Is Corrupt" Volume Up 7 "System Repair Windows Start Say's ended up getting a new drive Seagate Momentus GB RPM SATA Gb s MB Cache I installed it onto there and it seemed to be working fine for a few start ups Then when I tried doing an update I got blue screened the when rebooting and it wouldn't let me back in From there I decided to completely re-install Win I really had nothing of value on there and that worked longer It still had trouble doing an update but after trying it again it worked fine It was a few days ago that it began giving me blue screens telling me a quot critical system process has stopped working or terminated quot Now when I try booting to it Windows 7 Start Up Repair Say's "System Volume Is Corrupt" it will get to the start up screen with the animation then it'll reboot after a minute and tell me it had trouble booting I ran start up repair and it told Windows 7 Start Up Repair Say's "System Volume Is Corrupt" me that the root cause was that the system volume was corrupt I'm not really sure of what I can do now Is there any way to fix this problem or to prevent it from happening in the future Side note I don't know if any of you are proficient in the Ubuntu system I dual-boot with ubuntu but I Windows 7 Start Up Repair Say's "System Volume Is Corrupt" tried accessing the Win partition from there and it gave me this message see attachment

A:Windows 7 Start Up Repair Say's "System Volume Is Corrupt"

Okay, so I ran
Code:
chkdsk
via the repair disk, and it gave me this. Also, it said my system was in D:, which is odd because it should be in C:

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/301503-windows-7-start-up-repair-says-system-volume-corrupt.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello I am in a bit of jiffy here Today when I tried to start up my computer everything started out well Bios started checked to see what I have plugged in for CD and Hard-drive so just normal stuff but when It started up windows it automatically took me Startup Repair This was unusual though as this has happened before I though it would run it's course and start up after not actually detecting any problems I checked back after hours later to see it still trying to quot Attempting Repairs quot So i restarted the computer and when the repair started again I clicked cancel and went into a few more options open command start from a different point in time Windows memory Diagnostics etc and ran the Windows memory diagnostics tool After a few minutes it was done but didn't give me any information Computer restarted so I cancelled the scan again This time I went to diagnostic and repair details Every test says the same thing completed successfully Error code x and t the end it comes up with this Root cause found System volume on disk is corrupt After It told me the root cause I did what most people do and went to see if I could find a fix Trying sfc scannow came up with quot There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete Restart Windows and run sfc again trying chkdsk c f r gave me a different error quot Failed to transfer local logged messages to the event log status quot It also states quot Windows has checked the file system and found no problems quot And also shows that there is no memory is "System Cause volume Found disk on corrupt" Root usage by bad sectors I am running windows Home Premium and still have the original install disk as I custom built the PC The current Hard-drive is slightly over years old and has not given me any problems like this before Make is a seagate currently trying to find the box which it came in for more information of which type This Hard drive contains quite a bit of Information that I would Root Cause Found "System volume on disk is corrupt" rather not lose quite a bit of it is games and as I have satellite internet and a gb download limit a month re-downloading all of it is not really an option Any help is appreciated Thanks

A:Root Cause Found "System volume on disk is corrupt"

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

Well, before anything else, you might boot your repair disk and copy/backup all your files to an external drive.

There are several posts in the forums that sound similar to yours, searching for "corrupt windows system". If you rebooted, not waiting for it to complete the repair process, I would restart that and give it all night as windows is not the speediest at checking obvious stuff (Repair Install).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/328868-root-cause-found-system-volume-disk-corrupt.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Whenever I try to create new folder in my one of my system drives it is displaying "Unable to create the folder "new folder"". File system error(65535). Previously I was able to create/delete files.
Now every thing i want to do is getting failed (create/delete/modify).

A:Unable to create the folder "New folder" system error 65535

I would try a scan with MalwareBytes Antimalware. A couple of years ago I had something similar where I could not delete any files using Explorer. MBAM picked up the registry hack and fixed it.

The free version works just fine for scanning. A "Threat Scan" should be enough to pick if off if it's a Registry nuisance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/328700-unable-create-folder-new-folder-system-error-65535-a.html
Relevancy 88.15%

So I have my entire hard drive backed up to an image file. I had to format and put a new hard drive in my machine. All is fine and dandy, but when I try to access my user's folder in "documents and settings" on the mounted "image" all I get is "access is denied" - anyone know how to fix this, or get around it?

A:Accessing a user's "documents and settings" when it's "protected"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-users-documents-and-settings-when-its-protected.397781/
Relevancy 88.15%

I think I've successfully installed truecrypt on my back up media HDD. I chose the option to make an Outer volume & also a Hidden volume.

Apparently both were created successfully, but I can't seem to locate the Hidden volume to add files to it? I've entered both passwords correctly & I can see the main Outer volume when the disk is mounted, but I don't see where the hidden volume is or how to create a new folder within the hidden volume?

A:TrueCrypt: I see the "Outer" volume, but where is the "Hidden" volume?

Don't mount the outer volume. Enter your password for the inner volume only.

-fm

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/242995-truecrypt-i-see-outer-volume-but-where-hidden-volume.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I had just reverted my computer from Windows Vista to Windows XP If you need further explanation here is the link for the post with and Folder Settings" Trouble "Documents that I had sent over a month ago http forums techguy org windows-nt- -xp -windows-xp-keeps-restarting html Thankfully when I had to manually Trouble with "Documents and Settings" Folder delete Windows Vista see http support microsoft com kb I didn t have to use a boot disk though Trouble with "Documents and Settings" Folder I obtained one and Windows XP Home Trouble with "Documents and Settings" Folder SP started up normally What I did notice was that the Documents and Settings folder was and is completely empty and I can t access it So I can t access quot All Programs quot My Documents from the Documents and Settings folder and the wallpaper is blank I have the Documents and Settings folder in Windows old but apparently that didn t transfer successfully back to the C drive I cannot replace it like copying the quot Documents and Settings quot folder from windows old and replacing it on the C drive as it ll tell me quot Access Denied quot I also found that I couldn t adjust the security settings for access to the folder from safe mode as Administrator as the only options were General and Sharing and no quot Security quot tab Tweak UI refuses to install on the computer the Windows XP version I still think that it s possible to redirect the folder to the one in Windows old And when I tried the boot CD I selected Repair Installation off of the menu and all I got was quot C Windows gt quot like a command prompt I don t think that it s supposed to be doing that Is there any way possible that I could redirect the Documents and Settings folder to the one in the Windows old folder What about forcing the computer to replace it I would greatly appreciate the help as I m so frustrated that I m ready to smash the damned box Thanks Arizona guy nbsp

Relevancy 87.72%

OK, so what's going on here with folder navigation?
The properties tabs seem to be the same except that the identical folder from:

"This PC" is of type: System
"C:" is of type: This Folder

In addition, it seems that when you change the sort orders, etc. within the separate "types", it saves the new setting separately. What is this "feature" actually called? Is this for some type of "quick views" for when you're doing different things with bulk files routinely? Is there some interface to manage all these different "types"?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56841-type-system-folder-vs-folder-pc-vs-c.html
Relevancy 87.72%

I have already searched the forums and while people have had this error it has not been under the circumstances I have and I am sure lots of others have I created a USB boot drive with windows vista on and attempted to install on a laptop with a standard sata drive It is picked up the in the setup and when I reach the screen of quot where do you install windows quot I get "Windows system USB Install unable find Vista meet criteria" volume Boot the above error The problem seems to be as I understand it that the first boot priority is a USB USB Boot Vista Install "Windows unable find system volume meet criteria" drive and the creators of Vista put in place a rule where only a CD drive or similar can have a higher priority than the disk you wish to install Windows On the microsoft support database the article states that this is by design Is there a way around this I have tried the following methods Burning Plop boot manager to disk and booting to usb through that Still same message Used the Diskpart method to create the original USB The method and USB works perfect and I have also had sucess with Windows Used method on the hard drive I want to install and booted from the hard drive still the same message Tried making multiple partitions on the drive and installing to them The reason I need this on a USB medium and not DVD is The Vista ISO I have is gig big Both x and x all versions updated to SP I am going to get Duel Layer I refurbish laptops and so I am installing different operating systems and having the reliability of a USB drive is amazing I also use to great effect Easy Boot I have created a custom drive with which I can install Win from ISO's along with many tools and programs used to solve clients computers However the gig ISO I want to use will not boot so I am reduced to the methods above Any help would be greatly appreciated Regards Luke

A:USB Boot Vista Install "Windows unable find system volume meet criteria"

Bit of an odd question... I revived an automated e-mail saying S2926 replied to my thread. It tells me the message in the e-mail but I cannot find the reply on here?

I have managed to get my easy 2 boot usb working with the Vista ISO and I am currently installing as we speak. It just needed de-fragging. Feel so silly. But the original problem remains. I tried changing boot order and enabled boot menu at boot and tried to boot from usb but the problem still remained.

Either way thank you S2926 for your reply.

Regards,

Luke

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/302725-usb-boot-vista-install-windows-unable-find-system-volume-meet-criteria.html
Relevancy 87.72%

i have windows xp pro sp some days ago i installed avast antivirus and with avast after you install it it does a quick scan of your hard drive upon boot up the scan starts before i log in to windows so its just the blue screen and the scanning it is said that the scanning only happens once avast managed to find infected files i deleted the other one the second one was this c system volume information restore BB SomeMoreNumbers des is infected with Win sdbot trj br br i didnt delete that file because i was afraid that something wrong might happen br so after researching and asking people about it i have been adviced to disable system restore and do a scan in safe mode br br i didnt disable the system restore because all my restore points would be deleted and there are people who adviced against this br br so i did a full scan on safe mode some files could not be scanned actually around of them an example is br local settings temp unable to scan CAB archive is corrupted br what does this mean br others are unable to scan archive is password protected br br after the scan there werent Infected With Volume Trojan? Win32:sdbot... System Folder Information any infected files found i am quite sure that the win sdbot is still there because i have not deleted it why wasnt avast able to find this i have done online scans too but it came up with nothing br br also when i System Volume Information Folder Infected With Win32:sdbot... Trojan? run spybot these files always come up after deleting them lots of times already br Windows Security System Volume Information Folder Infected With Win32:sdbot... Trojan? Center AntivirusDisableNotify br Windows Security Center FirewallDisableNotify br br should i reinstall avast to get the boot up type of scan so it can detect it again br br i hope you can help me br br here is my log br br Logfile of HijackThis v br Scan saved at PM on br Platform Windows XP SP WinNT br MSIE Internet Explorer v SP br br Running processes br C WINDOWS System smss exe br C WINDOWS system csrss exe br C WINDOWS system winlogon exe br C WINDOWS system services exe br C WINDOWS system lsass exe br C WINDOWS system svchost exe br C WINDOWS system svchost exe br C WINDOWS System svchost exe br C WINDOWS system svchost exe br C WINDOWS system svchost exe br C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe br C WINDOWS Explorer EXE br C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE br C WINDOWS system rundll exe br C PROGRA McAfee com Agent mcregwiz exe br C Program Files McAfee com VSO mcvsshld exe br C Program Files McAfee com VSO oasclnt exe br c program files mcafee com agent mcagent exe br c progra mcafee com vso mcvsescn exe br C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfTray exe br C PROGRA mcafee com mps mscifapp exe br C PROGRA McAfee SPAMKI MskAgent exe br C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe br C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe br C Program Files Billionton Bluetooth Software BTTray exe br C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfAgent exe br C PROGRA BILLIO BLUETO BTSTAC EXE br C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe br C WINDOWS ATKKBService exe br C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe br C WINDOWS system svchost exe br C Program Files Billionton Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe br C Program Files Common Files EPSON EBAPI SAgent exe br c program files mcafee com agent mcdetect exe br c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcshield exe br c PROGRA mcafee com agent mctskshd exe br C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfService exe br C PROGRA McAfee SPAMKI MSKSrvr exe br C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe br C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe br C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exe br C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exe br C WINDOWS System alg exe br C WINDOWS System svchost exe br c progra mcafee com vso mcvsftsn exe br C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe br C PROGRA Yahoo MESSEN ymsgr tray exe br C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe br C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe br C Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exe br br O - ... Read more

A:System Volume Information Folder Infected With Win32:sdbot... Trojan?

You SHOULD turn off restore points to flush that out, then boot and then turn them on to set a clean restore point - log looks fineHere's howhttp://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...src=sec_doc_nam

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/37362/system-volume-information-folder-infected-with-win32sdbot-trojan/
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi,

I have several icons/files from my "User" folder showing up in the "Computer" folder (several in duplicate), PLUS numerous blank icons...

This seems to have occurred after the Common Files folder became corrupted, after I somewhat riskily decided to power off while Vista was attempting to come out of Sleep mode - it had already taken about 3 mins and I was in a hurry - bad move, I know. That delay appears to have been due to an old version of Online Armor, and has now been fixed (by an update). Chkdsk scanned and (apparently) corrected some errors, and I also ran SFC which said it had corrected some errors but had also found some that it couldn't correct. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Icons/Files from "User" folder showing up in "Computer" folder

Hello Aster, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened may be able to fix it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261502-icons-files-user-folder-showing-up-computer-folder.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Ok so I got my Maxtor Gig SATA Hard Drive and used the XP utility to create it This is the first time "Basic" on to change SATA Can't drive volume "Dynamic" I did that--I was so used to using Fdisk I always did it that way in the Can't change "Dynamic" to "Basic" volume on SATA drive past Anyway I m using it as a data drive and followed the wizard in XP and ended up with a quot Dynamic quot volume instead of basic I guess that s the default when you go through the wizard--I Can't change "Dynamic" to "Basic" volume on SATA drive just kept clicling the quot next quot not even really paying attention to the choices as I usually do since I m impatient Anway I Googled and noted you need this for RAID drives and its not recognized in OS other than and XP but is there any advantage to it Can't change "Dynamic" to "Basic" volume on SATA drive I m not running a RAID configuration and my main OS disc is quot basic quot Does it matter I can change it to basic it seems pretty easily according to MS article on it nbsp

Relevancy 87.29%

Upon starting my laptop today my old computer died and I bought a new laptop I went to go somewhere for minutes When I came back I found that my computer was not functioning properly it was running a MS-DOS-esque program that was apparently scanning my files In a few minutes it was back to normal or so I thought I found that I received a stop error when I entered my account corrupt" "System disk on is volume after the computer restarted I rebooted my system and the computer ran Chkdisk which concluded that the quot system volume on disk is corrupt quot All scans were successful and I believed that the problem had "System volume on disk is corrupt" been remedied "System volume on disk is corrupt" I was wrong my system was still dysfunctional I then ran Windows in Safe Mode which is where I am right now How would I go about solving this problem and bringing my computer back to where it was before Also is there a possible way to reformat my hard drive without using an operating system installation CD

A:"System volume on disk is corrupt"

Hi, while in safe mode open a command prompt and at the prompt type chkdsk /r press enter you will receive a message about the volume being in use and to schedule chkdsk to run at next boot select "Y" and type exit press enter. Reboot and let the full chkdsk run. This will repair and is at this stage the best option, post back to let us know how you get on.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/system-volume-on-disk-is-corrupt-438276.html
Relevancy 86%

Hi there I have noticed that my drive letters shown in disk management are different from those being shown in "list volume" in the windows recovery console command prompt. Below are some pictures, number one showing my current partition setup with the drive letters and number two-four showing what is shown in "list volume" in the windows recovery console command prompt.

SEE PIC #1 ; SEE PIC #2, SEE PIC #3, SEE PIC #4

NOTE: If I do a "list volume" in a non recovery console command prompt the drive letters are shown as they are shown in disk management.

A:Drive letter in "list volume" WRE is different from "My Computer" Fix?

I believe that is normal since the recovery console assigns letters based on which partition it sees first. It is not aware of the fact that the System Reserved partition doesn't get a drive letter assigned as does Windows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/292338-drive-letter-list-volume-wre-different-my-computer-fix.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Any ideas or suggestions?

A: No

Edited: Deleted most of message. I guess there is no one who knows how to help with this. I would simply delete, but it's not possible.

A:Cannot find "System Volume" on W7 HP What next?

Why did you delete your message what are you trying to find or locate on it? If you repost it below mine we can take a look at it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/352017-cannot-find-system-volume-w7-hp-what-next.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I really need some help here guys What am I doing File (SFC)"! Running Trouble Checker Having "System wrong I'm unable to run System File Checker SFC It generates the following text no matter Having Trouble Running "System File Checker (SFC)"! how I try to execute the command paraphrasing SFC is checking the integrity of your system files this may take a few minutes pauses - seconds SFC cannot run Having Trouble Running "System File Checker (SFC)"! since System Recovery has repair s pending Please restart the Having Trouble Running "System File Checker (SFC)"! system to allow the repair s to complete returns control to command prompt I can get the exact wording if it would help Anyway I have one disk with two partitions the MB boot partition and a GB system partition the former is active I've run the command using every possible switch es Since I'm running SPC BECAUSE Windows is not starting up fully I obviously can't run it from within that Windows environment Win Home Premium -bit but I've run it from the Windows System Recovery command prompt and from a Windows retail installation DVD command prompt window System Recovery previously stated that it believed the problem was from a driver or system file that was recently installed or became corrupt After MANY MANY repeated runs through System Recovery it now says that it finds no problems and windows loads without problem - but nothing has outwardly changed whatsoever I can't get to login screen just blackness and the mouse cursor after win-logo screen No waiting for hours or key-combination will do anything at that point So what am I doing wrong One example of many incarnations of the command I have used would be SFC SCANNOW or SFC SCANNOW OFFWINDIR D Windows OFFBOOTDIR C PLEASE HELP ME I m pulling my hair out as you read this sentence Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/382656-having-trouble-running-system-file-checker-sfc.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I have a folder which just appeared tilted "Search Result" on desktop. It show up as a System Folder on the explore window for desktop. (looks like a folder icon with Magnifying lens superimposed on it. It is not a shortcut. It will not delete. It will not open. Actually it will not "do" anything. Can someone tell me what it is, why its there, & if I should try to get rid of it and if so how? (Running XP Prof.)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/search-result-folder-system-folder.290561/
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

A:Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders

Your files and folders may have been hidden by the virus, go to folder options and 'show hidden files and folder' to see if they actually are hidden. If they are, you can use Grindler's UnHide tool to 'unhide' all of your files and folders. As for the virus, move this thread to the virus and other malware removal forum in order for it to be noticed by an authorised malware removal member.
Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003509/
Relevancy 84.71%

I added a slave drive to my Windows XP Pro computer and it appears to work properly However when I open the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive E which is Windows XP Home Edition Slave Folder Settings" Solved: drive Denied" "Access and on "Documents -- not XP Pro I do not see any of my documents sub-folders etc There should be MANY sub-folders inside the quot My Documents quot folder which isn t even visible with hundreds of documents jpgs etc Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder within it When that drive is installed as the Primary drive in my other computer the User quot Larry Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder quot which is me has all Administrative privileges On the computer that I m running now with the slave drive in it I also have Administrator privileges I own both computers My User Name quot Larry quot is password-protected when I login to Windows when the drive is Primary and installed into my main computer not this computer with XP Pro I ve tried clicking on all the users Administrator Default User Larry Guest etc Note I get an quot Access Denied quot error when clicking on the Guest quot Documents and Settings quot folder So the questions are Why can t I see any files or subdirectories in the quot Documents and Settings quot folder on the slave drive There s supposed to be a folder named quot My Documents quot but I can t find it Normally that path is quot C Documents and Settings My Documents quot --- Where is that folder It contains all the files I m looking for Do I have to put the drive back into the other computer and then change something before putting it into this computer or can I change something in this computer to access the folders I m really confused Old Fart Larry nbsp

A:Solved: Slave drive "Access Denied" on "Documents and Settings" Folder

Follow the directions here to take ownership of a file or folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slave-drive-access-denied-on-documents-and-settings-folder.935997/
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop Also My Start Menu is empty I can t locate any of programs or documents a Right clicking and going to windows explorer I could only view quot My Computer quot quot Windows C and when I click on them they contain few irrelevant files In other words I can t find my personal saved documents quot my document quot folder recycle bin and all other programs My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet However I can open a microsoft office file PDF files if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive I can save files on my new blank desktop I presume this is a virus attack Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do AFTER FOLLOWING SOME ADVICE I AM BEGINNING TO GET Documents" folder erased. Locate and "My Menu" Can't folders "Start Desktop SOME OF Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders MY FILES BACK BUT MY START PROGRAM FOLDERS ARE ALL EMPTY For example when i click the microsoft office folder it is empty HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS VIRUS PLEASE Thanking you in advance nbsp

closing duplicate, please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html . Please do not create duplicate threads for the same issue.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003517/
Relevancy 84.71%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

closing thread, please do not create more than one thread for the same issue. Please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html .

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003510/
Relevancy 84.28%

Not a major issue, of course, purely cosmetic, but still a minor annoyance none-the-less:

I have a number of card reader drives that I never use (haven't even removed that plastic cover tape from them to help keep the dust out) that show when viewing the "Computer" window that displays drives. Is there any way to hide specific unused drivers from this view? Not remove drive entirely, of course, I may need to use one in the future, but just to hide them so they aren't visible, until I may chose to make them visible again?

Thanks as always,

Russell

A:Hiding unused "removable storage" devices from "Computer" folder

Hello Russell,

You could check Hide empty drives in the Computer folder in Folder Options to have them stay hidden until you insert a card. When a card is inserted, the drive will display in Computer.

Drives - Hide or Show Empty Drives in Computer Folder

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/245152-hiding-unused-removable-storage-devices-computer-folder.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi there, 
Today my Windows 8.1 PC has started to act weird. I can download files to my pc but if I click "Show in Folder" the PC hangs for a few seconds and then Windows Explorer crashes.
I also tried downloading some videos from my ipad to my pc which worked perfectly and they were stored in "My Pictures" but when I tried to access them again the system crashed. 
Any help please??

Thanks 

D. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/48ce0cdb-3501-4cc2-a3d8-c3cf501a2e1f/when-ever-i-click-quotshow-in-folderquot-for-anything-that-i-download-the-system-crashes?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 83.85%

Okay so before anything else I've already gone in and changed my system sounds Everything but a handful of sounds Device Connect Disconnect Email have been turned off However whenever I open a folder on my annoying Disabling sound "beep" system/folder desktop and click anything within that folder - subfolder back or forward button the quot address bar quot not sure what else to call it Disabling annoying system/folder "beep" sound - its the bar where your system folder location goes like Music gt Country I get this annoying little beep sound like someone hit a high key on a piano I only ever hear it when I have my headphones on thankfully but it drives me Disabling annoying system/folder "beep" sound absolutely NUTS when I do have them on And I cant find a single thing in Sounds to turn it off And I wouldn't even begin to know how best to Google it to find an answer that way Disabling annoying system/folder "beep" sound Also I am aware I can just mute my system sounds I had it that way before for this very reason but since Windows Live Messenger is now Skype and does not notify about new emails nor do they ever plan to apparently I need my system sounds turned on so I know when I get email So if any one knows how to turn this ever so quot charming quot notice sound OFF please tell me Thank you

A:Disabling annoying system/folder "beep" sound

Go back into Sounds and under Windows Explorer turn off "Start Navigation". That should do it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/282935-disabling-annoying-system-folder-beep-sound.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Here's the story I bought this new Samsung GB SSD I first did a clean install of windows on it and it worked fine Windows installed without much problem and everything Then something didn't look right about the partitions space disk(s)" gives on the I enough "extend try to If volume" it "not It looked like because I had all my HDDs connected while installing windows on the SSD the windows If I try to "extend volume" it gives "not enough space on the disk(s)" created the system reserve on the old HDD rather than the SSD So I went back and decided to start from scratch with all the HDDs except for the SSD disconnected I tried reinstalling windows on it but this time it didn't work I tried formatting the SSD and it just gave me an error saying windows couldn't install on a GPT disk I went into bios made sure the PC was booting from the UEFI DVD drive and it still kept giving me the same error So I then booted up my old HDD I tried formatting my SSD and now I can't delete the partition This is what my disk set up looks like If I click quot extend volume quot on the quot New Volume G quot disk it says quot there is not enough space on the disk s to complete this operation quot If I try to create a quot new simple volume quot on the quot unallocated quot partition it says the same Have I destroyed my new SSD now I just want it to work like a new clean disk

A:If I try to "extend volume" it gives "not enough space on the disk(s)"

Hiyya Tracing try doing it with Partition Wizard mate Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.
Brilliant tool if you can't do anything with the partition them just wipe the disk mate and start over with this SSD Alignment

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/296779-if-i-try-extend-volume-gives-not-enough-space-disk-s.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Here is my system information Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Pro bit Processor folder" Explorer - in Computer "system showing Intel R Core TM i - M CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb "system folder" showing in Explorer - Computer Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard LENOVO CTO Antivirus Windows Defender Disabled I m here for a quot system folder quot I cannot get rid of but as I m posting my system info above I realize that Antivirus shows Disabled I just checked Action Center and Windows Defender shows ON for both antivirus and spyware Why does the info utility show Disabled Now for the reason I posted a couple weeks ago I was playing with different desktop apps to reply to phone texts via my pc One of those apps required my phone to connect via Bluetooth to my pc so I went ahead and made the connection I didn t really like the app so I uninstalled and also went to Devices and Printers and uninstalled the phone from there Now when I open My Computer Computer in Windows I see Hard Disk Drives - Windows C Devices with Removable Storage - Flash D and BD-ROM Drive F Other - SGH-T System Folder Portable Devices - Galaxy Note Portable Media Player My annoyance is with the Other I know for a fact the quot SGH-T quot is my phone s model number Under Portable Devices I see the phone as well because I have it connected to the pc but even if I disconnect it the Other category remains When I try to click right-click or do any type of clicking on SGH-T Explorer just hangs indefinitely I need to restart Explorer to resume I want to get rid of this quot Other quot field Underneath the SGH-T it says System Folder in gray lettering and it shows an icon of a cell phone But again I cannot click on it without it freezing on me There is no more phone in Devices and Printers or anywhere else I can think of nbsp