Windows Support Forum

Fast user switch problem

Q: Fast user switch problem

Last night, I switched from the standard Windows log-in to fast user switching. After logging off, I realized that my user name is no longer accessible from the welcome screen. I think this might be because I have 4 user accounts on my computer, but I'm not sure. The problem is that my user name is the only admin account. How do I make my own account accessible once again?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Fast user switch problem

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Fast user switch problem

Welcome,

Try getting into Safemode and use the Administrator Account
How to Start in Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switch-problem.549127/
Relevancy 89.44%

The fast switch user option is enabled on my windows xp home edition. When we go to switch users, a blue screen comes up for approx. 25 - 30 seconds, and then the user screen comes up, but does not respond for another 30 seconds. I have tried doing every maintenance and scan available, and do not come up with any problems. This has only occurred in the past week. Nothing new has been downloaded. Any suggestions?

A:Fast Switch User Problem

Depending on the specs of your system, you may not have enough resources to use Fast User Switching (FUS). FUS keeps both profiles in memory when it's used - so you're using up twice the memory (and associated resources) when it's running.

If it used to work fine and now it's slow - I'd suspect Windows "bloat" was taking up too many of your resources. A good system cleanup (and maybe more RAM) will help out there.

If the change was rather sudden, you may want to also check your video drivers. Updating them is the usual fix for this problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/88050/fast-switch-user-problem/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi Guys,

I had this issue:when the fast user switching is disabled and someone already login to the computer, I can not unlock or switch to another user to login. Only thing I can do is power off.( I don't have that user's password to unlock the computer).
Can please advise is there anyway do unlock the computer without power off?

Thank you.

Relevancy 77.4%

Hi there,

When I use fast user switch to change from one user to the other, logon hangs during the logon on the second person. Is there a way to examine which program is hanging? Does xp pro keep a log?

Relevancy 75.68%

I find it ridiculous that they split up 'Lock Screen' and Switch User screen like Windows 7.
In all previous windows, by pressing Windows+L; brings you a switch user screen which acts like a Lock Screen too.
Is there a way to make it like this? So that Lock Screens allow you to choose which user you want to log into?

I have found this that stops the annoying thing about disabling auto sign in on startup:
Sign in - Show All Users or Last User in Windows 8
but this is only half a it.

A:make Lock screen fast switch user

Ctrl + Alt + DelFrom start screen

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/24335-make-lock-screen-fast-switch-user.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello all cursor Fast user mouse switch freezes Not sure if this belongs here or somewhere Fast user switch freezes mouse cursor else mods please move it if this isn t the appropriate place I m using Windows Xp Home Ed w Service Pack In the past I have succesfully used the Fast User Switch tool of Windows to quickly change between two accounts both are Admin accs However a grave and persistent problem occurred the instant I changed my old monitor to a new Acer V H After installing the new monitor whenever I use Fast User Switch to log onto my secondary account my mouse cursor freezes and doesn t move no matter what And even if I press the Windows key and navigate back to the primary account that way the Fast user switch freezes mouse cursor problem persists Only after resetting the comp does it disappear but for the time being I simply cannot use FUS I ve tried logging onto the secondary account first and it lets me do that and the mouse doesn t freeze However when I switch to my main acc from there the mouse freezes again I have my suspicions already with this monitor no ordinary Fast user switch freezes mouse cursor drivers were issued When I click on my Display Properties I see quot Plug amp Play Display quot what controls the resolution and the settings of this new monitor is a program called Acer eDisplay Management Which loads only on the account that is first activated you guessed correctly Now I ve found an actual driver for this particular monitor on the web in case the aforementioned display control program is indeed non-compatible with Fast User Switch However I don t know how to go about installing it There is a folder called quot V H t quot that contains the following files v h cat V H icm and V H inf in it And even if I could install this driver I don t know if it would help in my problem I m not really that tech-savvy which is why I m asking here So I m asking how do I install this driver and does it help if I do it If not what would help in this situation if anything Thanks in advance and afterwards also ofc Greizer

A:Fast user switch freezes mouse cursor

Are your graphics drivers up to date.

The site where you found the driver files for the monitor
should have given instructions for installation, IMO.

First, create a restore point, if you want to test your new drivers.

Right click on the .inf file - you should have an 'install' option
on the menu. Follow the instructions, if any.

Reboot, see if there's any change.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/268703/fast-user-switch-freezes-mouse-cursor/
Relevancy 74.82%

Dell Dimension desktop Pentium GHz GB RAM Windows XP Pro SP single machine i e not networked PC-cillin Internet Security always up to date IE for browser This computer has been running perfectly for over a year until days ago We have users on the Welcome Screen and they all have administrator accounts access is switch users, Fast Switching, cannot User denied, XP Pro You can log on to any account with no problem If you log off someone else can log on to their account with no problem However if you are logged on and want to stay logged on and then click lt Log Off gt lt Switch User gt and then try logging on Fast User Switching, cannot switch users, access is denied, XP Pro with another account after about seconds the screen goes black except for a box in the center that has the Fast User Switching, cannot switch users, access is denied, XP Pro following message The system cannot log you on due to the following error access is denied Please try again or consult your system administrator underneath the above wording is a box that says OK I then click OK At this point the Welcome Screen comes back and it will have the following It will say that the person who clicked lt Switch User gt is Logged on When you click on the logged in person or the other two accounts it just brings up the same black screen with the same box saying you cannot log in and access is denied However it only takes th of a second or less to do it rather than the seconds it took the first time Also it asks for password once in a while I can t figure out a pattern to this Until days ago we just clicked on our user account name and the password box never came up It does come up once in a while now but you can leave it blank and press enter and everything appears to work exactly like it does when you left click on your user name and then press enter This password box usually does not pop up right at first after rebooting but I think it has come up right after rebooting Once the password box comes up it keeps coming up for every account every time until the computer is turned off and on again Everything appears to work exactly the same whether the password box comes up or it doesn t come up Also we cannot log in to our Yahoo mail bank account or credit card account IE appears to be working perfectly We can go to Yahoo or our bank account web site or do virtually anything else on the web However when we try to click on the log on page of any of these sites we get the message Internet Explorer cannot display the web page Thus to get e-mail we have to go to another computer I turned off our firewall and it worked the same I have done a complete scan of the computer in the last hours with PC-cillin and I ran Lavasoft s AdAware but nothing other than cookies and some MRU most recently used registry items In lt Control Panel gt lt User Accounts gt lt Change the way users log on gt both use the Welcome Screen and Use Fast User Switching are checked I made a new th account while in Safe Mode but it works the same way I ran the command lt Run gt lt services msc gt lt Fast User Switching Compatability gt It was set to manual I switched it to automatic but it worked the same so I set it back to manual I have not tried the computer without Fast User Switching I would like to use it if I can but it is not a high priority I know it takes up system resources and perhaps turning it off would solve some or all of the problems and this might be the best solution I am not sure if all the problems are related Really the main problem is getting e-mail and using other web site accounts that require a log on page that we can t use now Thanks HaHo P S I will keep checking e-mail although it is a little more difficult to do nbsp

A:Fast User Switching, cannot switch users, access is denied, XP Pro

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-cannot-switch-users-access-is-denied-xp-pro.794399/
Relevancy 73.96%

dell dimension 2400
winxppro sp2
2gb ram

1. the network icon keeps appearing in the tray, even though i have rosewill nic driver software that connects for me,
and i'm connected already. i've unchecked and rechecked the properties boxes for no connection and limited connection,
but it reappears after logon. can you tell me how to make it stay according to the checkboxes?

2. my fast user switching reverts to the classic login box, despite fus and terminal svcs being set to auto. it seems
like it decides arbitrarily to either give me the fus window, or the classic window, whenever it wants. can you tell
me how to keep it at the fus non-classic window?

A:network icon appears/fast user switch classic window

above, problem #2 (fast user switch reverts to classic) i believe is fixedusing the terminal services fix found here.still looking for fix for problem 1.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/419624/network-icon-appearsfast-user-switch-classic-window/
Relevancy 62.35%

This is a reopening of this subject I ve read the posts in the closed thread and tried the solutions there with no luck Fast user switching quit working for me No doubt I did something to cause this but I can t switching problem user XP fast in identify it I can t switch users at all -- I have to log off one user before I can log on another I ran services msc and set Terminal Services fast user switching problem in XP to automatic it was manual but when I try to start the service I get error - Executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service I set Fast User Switching service to automatic it also was manual but when I try to start the service I get error -Depending service or group failed to start Under Control Panel - gt User Accounts - gt Change the way users log on and off Fast user switching is checked However if I uncheck it and Apply it doesn t make any difference I still have to log off to switch users Any help appreciated nbsp

A:fast user switching problem in XP

Please try to follow the microsoft kb article id: 910337 and 905999 for the complete troubleshooting steps of Error 1083 and 1068.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-problem-in-xp.816214/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi everyoone,
I just re-installed Win XP Pro on a nice new Western Digital HD. I am having trouble since downloading service pack 1. In control panel under "USER ACCOUNTS" the welcome screen/fast user switching has been disabled and I get the following error message:

"a recently installed program has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore these features you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: MSGina.dll"

I did a search and found the file in the service pack 1 in a folder called i386. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Thanks very much Robby

A:Welcome screen/fast user problem

Run this edit:

Restore the Windows XP Welcome Screen (Gina.dll)
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/fix_xp_logon.vbs

Or go to:

Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon.
In the right pane, remove the entry for logonrem.DLL.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/welcome-screen-fast-user-problem.203390/
Relevancy 62.35%

I don't know why, but for whatever reason the "Fast User Switching" option on my computer does not seem to work. I am running XP and don't really know a ton about computers, but what happens is that I go into the control panel, check the box that says to "enable fast user switching, hit apply after, but as soon as I go back in, the box is unchecked again for no apparent reason.

A:Fast User Switching Problem

Hi,

Do either of these apply?

Only users with a computer administrator account on a computer can turn on or turn off Fast User Switching.

Fast User Switching cannot be turned off while multiple users are logged on to the computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-problem.626702/
Relevancy 62.35%

I log on as administrator When I try to switch to my wife s account the only other one it starts logging on but freezes It doesnt complete and the only thing you can Fast user switching problem do is ctr-alt-del and log her Fast user switching problem back off I noted that norton ghost was not loading properly so I disabled Fast user switching problem the tray icon using msconfig but the problem remains even when the tray icon doesnt load up so I think something else is the problem Has anyone had anything similar What could be causing this If I log off then log on as her it s fine - the problem is when we use the switch users command The problem I think started when I updated my via drivers after having problems with one of my sata drives I am NOT running any kind of raid array Here s my setup ghz intel msi PT neo-v board x mb ddr ram GeForce FX XT win xp pro I ve scanned for spyware degragged and eliminated viruses as the problem Give me a shout if there is any more info that you need Atrac nbsp

A:Fast user switching problem

atrac said:

I log on as administrator. When I try to switch to my wife's account (the only other one) it starts logging on but freezes. It doesnt complete, and the only thing you can do is ctr-alt-del and log her back off. I noted that norton ghost was not loading properly so I disabled the tray icon using msconfig, but the problem remains even when the tray icon doesnt load up, so I think something else is the problem. Has anyone had anything similar? What could be causing this? If I log off, then log on as her, it's fine - the problem is when we use the switch users command. The problem, I think, started when I updated my via drivers after having problems with one of my sata drives (I am NOT running any kind of raid array).

Here's my setup:
3.2ghz intel
msi PT8 neo-v board
2x512mb ddr ram
GeForce FX 5900XT
win xp pro.

I've scanned for spyware, degragged and eliminated viruses as the problem.

Give me a shout if there is any more info that you need!

Atrac.Click to expand...
Hi Atrac,

If you create a "dummy" account (just some generic local user account) log onto it once, then log off and log back on as Administrator and try to switch to the dummy account, does the same problem occur?

I only ask because it would rule out your wife's User profile as being the source of the problem.

Also, do you have Service Pack 2 installed?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-problem.422065/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi

Just set up a few accounts for my family on my Vista SP1 Ultimate machine: myself as Admin, rest as users. When I try and Fast Switch (or even log off from one account and try to open another) I get the correct background, but sidebar and systray don't load and, mousing over the Start button, the mouse turns to busy still indicating activity. What's going on??

Thanks
Simon

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/another-fast-user-switching-problem.766486/
Relevancy 61.49%

Everytime I switch users it automatically logs in to my brothers user name which is very frustrating, any way to change it?

A:Switch User Problem.

Hello adz3d,

One method that would stop this would be to create a password for your brother's account. Afterwards, it will no longer auto sign-in to the account. This would be the recommended method.
Another method is to use step 1 in OPTION ONE of the tutorial below to always have all users displayed on the sign-in screen to prevent this. However, if you click on your brother's icon, it will still sign into it without having to enter a password since it's not password protected as recommended above.

Sign in - Show All Users or Last User in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/17295-switch-user-problem.html
Relevancy 61.49%

whenever i go to start - log off - switch user...

and it goes to the first windows screen where you see the list of users.. if i click on another user, it just turns black and nothing ever happens. i went to the control panel and changed it so you can do fast use switching, and i think mcafee security center doesnt like that, because i have to set it to allow the script change every time...

but it still doesn't work.
someone pleeeeease help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-switch-problem.408901/
Relevancy 61.49%

For me, I have 4 accounts on my computer. I am the administrator. When I switch user to log onto another account, I click the name, and the screen blinks for a second, and brings me back to the Welcome Screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks

A:switch user problem

Can you login to any accounts? Do allo the accounts do the same? How much RAM do you have? I think there is a requirement, something like if you don't have 128Mb RAM FREE (not total) then the fast user switching functions won't work.

Does this help at all?

Eli

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switch-user-problem.578188/
Relevancy 61.49%

This problem seemed to coincide with a new monitor. I had changed some of the services, but Terminal Services and Fast User Switching are set to manual and have started. The option to switch user in the control panel is ticked.

When I go to switch user from the welcome screen, the other user begins to load and then flashes back to the welcome screen. Any ideas of how to fix this?

I also recently uninstalled Norton Security as I was having the ccApp.exe shutdown problem.

Relevancy 61.49%

Hello i run into a problem while trying to run multiple problem Windows xp fast user switching programs on different user account on my computer When i log off all programs will close but i need them to remain running when i go to change the ways users log on log off and click use fast user switching option then click apply it does not save that setting I then went to Computer admin account and tryed the same method when i clicked on enable fast user switching option a message came up saying Fast user switching is enabled on this computer Offline files cannot be enables while fast user switching is enabled I Windows xp fast user switching problem also went to Windows xp fast user switching problem services and changes the fast user switching compatibility to automatic So thats my problem it tells me how to fix it but it says its already enabled but its not will not let me run progams and switch user accounts I Dont think ill have issues with memory or processing power

A:Windows xp fast user switching problem

Don't you have the option to just switch users as this would not log a user off(which would close everything) and instead it leaves them logged on and lets you select another user. I've had several programs/internet windows up and never had any problems with them closing just from switching users. Any further details you could provide would be wonderful, like do you have the option to switch users when you hit start -> shutdown?

-bar

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339453/windows-xp-fast-user-switching-problem/
Relevancy 61.49%

Just the other day, Fast User Switching stopped working.
I get no errors, and when I check the checkbox to enable it, I go back and it is unchecked. I have went to services.msc and enable both FastUserSwitching and Terminal Services, but still, nothing works. Hopefully someone has the answer.

A:Fast User Switching Problem, still unsolved

I have looked for many hours, but all the solutions do not work. There arn't that many. It seems like this a problem that not many have fixed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fast-user-switching-problem-still-unsolved-392351.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Recently Problem Windows XP Switch User i started having problems switching users on XP Im able to run user at a time only Windows XP Switch User Problem Every time i try switching to another user i get a quot MediaAccess exe - Application Error quot and from there i have no choice but to restart because it completely blocks everything im doing I have noticed it running in the task manager as MediaAccess exe and MediaAccK exe there may be more im not sure And also in the control panel Im just not sure if its safe to remove it from there because its probably some sort of adware Here is my Hijackthis log file Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMax PNP exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX Smax exe C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Media Access MediaAccK exe C Program Files Ykeitv Bhds exe C temp salm exe C Program Files Media Access MediaAccess exe C Program Files Internet Optimizer optimize exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www ontariodsl ca bandwidth htm R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cust ch search html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Internet Explorer provided by Sympatico R - Default URLSearchHook is missing O - BHO BHObj Class - - F D- C- E - A C E C - C WINDOWS nem dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS System IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS System IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run SoundMAXPnP C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMax PNP exe O - HKLM Run SoundMAX quot C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX Smax exe quot tray O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS System igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run REGSHAVE C Program Files REGSHAVE REGSHAVE EXE AUTORUN O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run Media Access C Program Files Media Access MediaAccK exe O - HKLM Run Rqvgo C Program Files Ykeitv Bhds exe O - HKLM Run salm c temp salm exe O - HKLM Run vyz C WINDOWS vyz exe O - HKLM Run Internet Optimizer quot C Program Files Internet Optimizer optimize exe quot O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe quot background O - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader lnk C Program Files Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exe O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - Extra context menu item amp Google Search - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmsearch html O - Extra context menu item Backward Links - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmbacklinks html O - Extra context menu item Cached Snapsho... Read more

A:Windows XP Switch User Problem

You need to do a virus scan. I have been fighting a trojan downloader that installs this and lots of other fun spyware on the computer. Norton does not see this as a virus, but every other AV program I have run does.

You may want to run an online virus scan. www.antivirus.com is the one I use. Make sure to click auto clean.

After removing the virus, I have had to run spyware removal tools to get the rest of the garbage off the machines that had this. I used spybot, ad-aware and microsoft AS to do this. Took all 3 to get it all.

I submitted this to Symantec and they called it spyware and would not update their defs to catch this. Avast did a great job of cleaning it up.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/windows-xp-switch-user-problem-52256.html
Relevancy 61.06%

The USB mouse no longer works once you switch users. I have tried several wireless units and they all stop working once you switch user. Going back to original user does not help, only removing and reinserting the USB wireless transmitter gets it going again. I have seen quite a few posts regarding this issue but have seen no solutions. HP acts like they never heard of the problem.

Waiting for help.....

A:HP DV9910US Switch User Problem

Hi rbringh

Welcome to the forums.

Have you checked the vendors website for a software/driver update?
Raj

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/177201-hp-dv9910us-switch-user-problem.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Now my switch User is not working. I can log out but i can not switch user. Any suggestions anyone?

Carla

Relevancy 61.06%

Originally, when I transferred to another user, I was presented with the user names and could choose one without logging off completely from the current user, i.e. when I returned, open files would remain open.. Something unknown happened and now it is necessary to log off completely from the present user (and close all files) before selecting another user. How do I get back to the original procedure?

Rouoghhew

A:Windows XP, Switch User Problem

Maybe the feature got disable, to enable it see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-switch-user-problem.513506/
Relevancy 58.91%

I have hide all of my administrator account from login screen on windows7 by editing registry entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon\SpecialAccounts". Now I have only one power user account. I can't
login with admnistrative account because there is no switch user button on login screen. Even if I click on switch user button from start menu this will load the login screen with the power user and I don't have any option to change the username.

How can I get rid from this?

A:Windows 7 login screen switch user button problem

Hi,
I see two choices:
-by safe mode (pressing F8 before  windows load), you should be able to modify your regkey
-by right click maintening "shift" key on regedit then "run as different user" you should be able to enter your other credentials

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9002ccce-8f0f-434a-b55c-f44323d61c9f/windows-7-login-screen-switch-user-button-problem?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello,

I use windows 7.
When I turn on laptop (acer Aspire 5742) cannot connect to internet until I switch user and log in again. Soon as I touch any browser icon the rest of computer stops responding as well. It's only me on computer. Have virgin media security/ spyware/ virus protection. Tried CCleaner. After I switch user everything is fine.
Additional info; On 16th October had great difficulty getting my emails from Yahoo. Sometimes sign-in box appeared without my security signature and different style of writing for browser remembered log-on details.

Cheers,

Gordon.

Relevancy 56.33%

Earlier today I turned on my Toshiba laptop Satellite P -S and got some sort of error screen and then it brought me to a screen asking if I wanted to do a system repair or start windows normally I chose system repair but then it seemed to get stuck in that process It was taking forever and nothing was happening so I turned off the laptop I know big no no booted in safe mode and did a system restore to a restore point from about a week ago The quot starting Windows quot screen came and went no problem Everything seemed fine till I got to the User Selection screen the default blue one with the little hummingbird or whatever Then it just sat there on that screen I could see the hummingbird and the little squiggly lines but there were no buttons to click my user I just let it sit there and after about minutes the user names popped up and Windows takes the screen 7 user forever load select user/switch to I was able to continue using the computer without any problems no other speed Windows 7 takes forever to load the select user/switch user screen issues whatsoever It now makes me wait every time always about Windows 7 takes forever to load the select user/switch user screen minutes before the user names pop up It does this when I restart the machine and when I try to switch users It is a Pentium Core i Ghz GB RAM Windows Home Premium bit Let me know if you need any other specs Any ideas Thanks Tim

A:Windows 7 takes forever to load the select user/switch user screen

Work through these steps for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start.

The steps begin with disinfection from Safe Mode or boot disk, since if Win7 is badly infected it may not repair until cleaned up. Then everything possible to start it is sequenced.

I would also do the hardware tests provided before rescuiing the data to run Recovery or get the superior Clean Reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/274499-windows-7-takes-forever-load-select-user-switch-user-screen.html
Relevancy 56.33%

On windows professional -bit sp if a current user is screen locked the lock screen indicates the current user name and account is logged on and the computer is locked I am using Classic Logon in group policy and under local policy-security options-interactive logon i have it set to display username and account info the option with most information the problem i have is say a user is logged in and then I need to use the computer at that point the lock screen says so and so is logged in and locked I do a switch user log in and do my thing then log out Now the screen goes back to the base login screen saying 'ctrl-alt-del' not saying any user is currently logged in Now if that original user does log back in all his stuff is still here and everything acted like a basic screen lock happened so no problem there but what i want to happen is after a switch user logs out the screen goes back to the lock screen displaying who has the computer locked is there a way to do that thanks

A:Switch User then logoff, back to ctrl-alt-del login not previous user

At a guess, I'd say Classic Logon is the culprit here, as I do not have this issue with Windows 7 64-bit SP1 with the default login screen. Changing this is likely impractical next to the simple solution of ditching Classic Logon (It's an ancient artifact by now)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/332214-switch-user-then-logoff-back-ctrl-alt-del-login-not-previous-user.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have tried to setup this computer to allow fast user switching between users and its not working.

Of course theres nothing to it... I've had no problems on other WinXP systems.

STATS: WinXP with SP1 PRO, current patches
AMD 2500 / Nforce2

When I click on LOG OFF, and then press the SWITCH USER button, the pop up window goes away. Nothing happens. I have to LOG OFF to chnage.

I have 2 ADMIN accounts, 1 limited account.

When I check under SERVICES, FAST USER SWITCHING - I cannot start this service, its off. If I try to start it, I get an error message.

Could not start Fast User Switching Compatibility service on Local computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group has failed to start.

Any ideas?

A:Can't FAST switch between users (XP)

1) Check the Dependency tab under the Fast User Switching Service.
If the system components depends on another service, make sure that that service is started.

2) Test in safe mode

If safe mode fails, then run a windows repair

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-fast-switch-between-users-xp.212624/
Relevancy 55.9%

Here's my issue, I would like to RDP to a Windows 7 laptop. Even with Administrative privledges, it will tell me "Waiting for user to respond". I would like to either switch users via RDP, or force them to log off without prompting.

Server is SBS 2008. I already have "Set Rules for remote control of Terminal Services user sessions" to Full Control without user's permission.

Relevancy 55.9%

Hello

Interestingly on boot up I see "another user" but the picture is blank, with a frame around it (I can see through it to the boot wallpaper that I have changed to prove) ..

Who is another user?

Please help as I have been on the 2 days now

A:Created admin User but can see on 'Switch User" cntrl/alt/del

Sorry to bump but things have changed somewhat, and yes could start a new topic but will try the edit function as I am not here often. I see 110 views and that's promising

Please advise who is this "another user" icon/picture is blank, with a frame around it (I can see through it to the boot wallpaper that I have changed to prove) .. on control /alt/ delete.

I now have admin rights back (previous problem) but this "another user" can't be found anywhere (I know of) except at login. I am stumped..

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/243941-created-admin-user-but-can-see-switch-user-cntrl-alt-del.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Why does iTunes and other sounds keep playing even when that user who initiated it logs off using "Switch user?" The sounds and iTunes keep playing even when another user logs in.

A:iTunes & sounds keep playing even when user logs off using Switch user

Could be because of Fast User Switching. That really doesn't Log Out the other user. It just Switches users, as in both are still logged in.

Try Logging out the other user.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/251777-itunes-sounds-keep-playing-even-when-user-logs-off-using-switch-user.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi everybody
My computer has just started this one in the last week or so. Not sure of the exact trigger or exactly when.

I can be logged on as any valid user on the system. When I try to switch user using the standard methods, after selecting a user account it says that there is already a user logged in and that I can only have one user logged in.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and have been running it successfully (and being able to switch users) for several years now.

Is there anybody that can point me in the right direction as to where to look for this one?
Many Thanks
LP

A:Switch User does not permit additional user to be logged in

Hi,

Take a look at this guide and see if Fast User Switching is enabled?
How To Enable/Disable Fast User Switching In Windows 7, Vista, XP

Regards,
Jamie

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/344725-switch-user-does-not-permit-additional-user-logged.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello,I got some tips a couple of months ago on tweaking your pc. I did alot of tweaks and guess what? Silly me I didnt back up the REGISTRY!!!!! I also installed Windows Transformation Pack 6. This is what happens when I try to go to Control Panel> User Accounts, and try to click the 3 tabs under "Learn About" . automation server cant create object Now these tabs have crosses next to them So I must of disabled a service or something? I can create accounts. but I gotta log out, and log in other one. I cant quickly switch over while having 2 or 3 accounts logged in at the same time. When I try to switch users, it doesn't do it. Please help!Thanks.

A:User Accounts & Fast User Switching

I believe that if the Terminal Service isn't started then fast user switching isn't available.To start the Terminal Service, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools and click on Services. Right click on Terminal Service and select Properties. Make sure the startup type is set to Automatic.Also, see this Microsoft article on fast user switiching.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/100701/user-accounts-fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 55.04%

We are running windows xp media edition 2004.

client services for netware has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switch screen. to restore these features we must uninstall client services for netware.

we cant find netware or client services for netware in the add / remove programs.

we searched the files for netware and found to programs listed one in c:\j386 and another one in c:\windows\system32

How can we unistall the program?

A:lost welcome screen and fast switch users

I have the same problem. Switch users has been disabled by client services for netware. I disabled it in the manager Iits not in "Add or Remove Programs") by going to: start> control> panel > administrative Tools > Services > scroll down to Client Services, double click on on it, and disasbled in the "startup type" drop down window.

I still can't switch users. (this is xp pro)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-welcome-screen-and-fast-switch-users.673554/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello,

I've searched the forum and could not find an answer to this problem.

I have a Windows 7 Enterprise machine where at the login screen the "Switch User" button is missing and so I am unable to clear the last user.

Just about all the results I got back on this topic was how to re-enable the "Switch User". This doesn't help because I can't login to make the change.

TIA!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385049-how-switch-users-login-screen-when-switch-user-missing.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I have a computer in the breakroom at work, which is running Windows 8. We normally don't use W8, so I am new to it. Apparently an employee logged into the computer with their personal account, then left the company. The screen shows her account logged in, with a blank password box, and no option to switch user. A reboot of the machine comes back to the same screen.

I was able to get into the Advanced Boot Manager and go into Safe Mode, but the same user login screen comes up in Safe Mode also.

I just need to get this user logged out and get back to the main login screen so that anyone can login to the machine. This is a simple step in W7, just can't seem to get it done in W8.

A:Cannot Switch User or Logout User, no one else can login

Hello kc5hwb, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Do you have a back arrow in a circle button at the top left of the user's picture on the sign in screen?

Signing in to Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/55794-cannot-switch-user-logout-user-no-one-else-can-login.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi
On my new laptop, everytime (almost) I switch user I have the BSOD ) Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap. BSOD, then reboot.
No freeze but just reboot and lost all

Attached is the zip file

BIG thanks for your help
Franck

A:Computer is crashing when I switch user to other user

Hi again,
Im adding a new zip file as it just crashed 5mins ago _ minidump included.
Thanks for your help
Franck

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/66802-computer-crashing-when-i-switch-user-other-user.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Ok. I have two laptops that I want connected to my trendnet fast internet switch(ethernet). One is a Mac, and the other is a Windows XP. I have configured the apparatus correctly, and my mac works fine while connected to the internet switch. But my Windows XP continuously says that it has limited or no connectivity. And what is weird is that my Windows Laptop works fine while directly connected to the modem itself.

Do you have any suggestions? My Windows gets stuck in the stage when it aquires an IP address.

Router: Trendnet
Modem: Ares WBM760A provided by Comcast

Connections are:
Mac ===>via ethernet cable ===>Trendnet Router ===> via ethernet cable===> Comcast Modem -- This Works

Windows XP laptop ===>via ethernet cable ===>Trendnet Router ===> via ethernet cable ===>Comcast Modem -- This Doesnt Work

Windows XP laptop ===> via ethernet cable ===> Comcast Modem - This works

A:TrendNet Fast Internet Switch -- Not Working for 2nd Laptop

with this configuration
Windows XP laptop ===>via ethernet cable ===>Trendnet Router ===> via ethernet cable ===>Comcast Modem -- This Doesnt WorkClick to expand...

Would you do an ipconfig /all from the XP PC
Then copy yo mac or reconnect to post the results

------------------------------------------------------------------------
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
control key + V to paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trendnet-fast-internet-switch-not-working-for-2nd-laptop.927634/
Relevancy 50.74%

Im havin a problem with my mums pc, for some reason it wont allow the log off-switch user. Ive been to user account in control panel and ticked the 'use fast user swithing' but when i choose apply options it wont save it. im takin a guess at it bein another setting or registry entry. Anyone got any ideas??

A:Fast user switching (log off)

Start->Run-> services.msc
Maximize the Services window
Scroll down to Terminal Services
Double click on Terminal Services
Change Startup Type to Automatic
Then start it
Apply, ok, then close Services window

Now try user accounts logon settings again

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fast-user-switching-log-off.113488/
Relevancy 50.74%

I bought a used Dell Computer with Windows XP Pro installed. I tried changing the user login view to the fast user switching option, but when I tried to do so, the box was grayed out and I got the following error message:

"A recently installed program has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall the program. The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change: MSGINALL."

How can I fix this problem?

*** mod edit, turned off smiles ***

A:Fast User Switching

the fix is here...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836683

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching.515050/
Relevancy 50.74%

Alright, this is my second time coming back to you guys because the first time we didnt get this solved, so heres my issue.

On a clean restart, the first person to log in can log-in fine. But once they switch users, the next user to sign on will click their name, and then the background of the first person who logged in flashes, then it goes back to the login menu. only the first person who logged in can keep going on without logging off, or restarting the computer. the only way another person can access the computer is to log off the first person, or restart the computer.

hope i can get this fixed!

A:fast user switching

hmm, weird..do you have your XP cd? i would just re-install windows..most likely would fix the problem your having

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fast-user-switching-152340.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Every time I try to set my computer back to fast user switching I get an error telling me that because of a recent installation fast user switching will no longer function. It also gives me msgina.dll as an assist to track down the problem. The only msgina.dll file I've found is a system file for wxp media center edition. Any clues as to how I can fix this problem would be awesome. Thank you all.

I've recently seen some problems with the msgina file that relate to a router. Do you have a router, and if so, what kind?

As I recall there wasn't much of a solution for it short of uninstalling the router.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/71315/fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 50.74%

I Need help to fix fast user switching on windows xp

A:Fast User Switching!

What's wrong with it?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/59610/fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi All.

I need a little help.
I have fast user switching enabled - I am not on a domain just network within my house for shared internet connection.
I have been trying to use the fast switching, since reinstalling windows XP media center 2005.

What happens: When I try to log on to an account, the screen flickers and goes back to the welcome screen.
I need to physically log off account before I can access the other account.
Also, windows updates are not working for me - when I try to update some of them, fail automatically.
I have repairs and reinstalled windows a few times now.

Anyone got any suggestions or help?

Thanks
Paulaboo2

Hello paulaboo2,If you performed a Repair Installation, you may be experiencing the problem described in the following posts:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=627033http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=654151

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/130590/fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 50.74%

Is there a way to get rid of the screen that comes up when I type Win/L?

That's the one with the current user avatar and a Switch User button, it seems to serve no useful purpose, wasn't there on XP

Is there some way of making the User Account avatars more like those on XP?

I have week eyesight and I can't discern which avatar has focus when I use arrow keys, so I have to use the mouse. On XP it was much more obvious which UA had focus.

Is there some way to show the mail and process counts?

I found them useful on XP

---

As far as I know, there isn't an 'XP version' of the locked screen. You can set it up to show a 'Press Ctrl+Alt+Del' screen though, if that'll do for you?

However, once you've press Ctrl+Alt+Del, it just shows you the current log-on screen.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/172687-fast-user-switching.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Ok so I did a few googles and tried a few things but didn t get anything I don t usually require it but in Why switching XP? do user I can't fast when my mother comes to visit she often wants to use the computer so Why can't I do fast user switching in XP? it is alot simpler to give her a guest account than having to stash all my ahem questionable material inc bookmarks google sentence finishing thingy cookies yadda yadda Last time she came I just used a different profile for firefox but I want the guest thing just to be safe as I also have a cluttered desktop with stuff I would preferably not have to sift through and hide Can I still just have admin as the one i use passworded and the guest Why can't I do fast user switching in XP? one unpassworded I read that you should have yet another one for user switching Anyhow I also tried making another login account for myself and that didn t work either The problem was firstly that it would not stop at the Why can't I do fast user switching in XP? welcome screen and go right into my account I sort of fixed that by making a password for my account but it wasn t working right still When logging it came up with the windows bell thing and a box which would disappear I thought it had hung each time until I figured out I could alt-tab back to this box which informed me I could not log on with such and such password and then it takes me to the welcome screen where I can then logon Anyway that sort of fixes the logging thing but still I don t get the fast user switching option It will be very tedious and pointless having to restart the computer each time such that my mother would get exasperated and instead seek to use my account and insodoing uncover my various naughties I ve tried the obvious things of enable fast user switching but it doesn t do anything If I go to shut down I don t have that option at all Where the fast switch thing should be there is just the reset button Any ideas nbsp

A:Why can't I do fast user switching in XP?

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off. Choose "Use Fast User Switching" there.

Also make sure you have the service "Fast User Switching Compatibility" set to Automatic.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-cant-i-do-fast-user-switching-in-xp.955823/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have an HP desktop with 7 Home Prem. 64bit. 8G Ram 7200 HDD. When I log on as Administrator, it is very quick to start up to the desktop. When I log on to user (standard user) it takes at least 10 times longer to get to the desktop. Never ran into this. By the way, it is not my PC and the user does not know the Admin password. CPU and RAM are not maxing out. Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/400039-one-user-slow-other-fast.html
Relevancy 50.74%

The option for fast user switching dis-appeared from the shutdown, logon/logoff menu. How do I replace that option in to the menu of options listed there?

A:fast user switching

I would first recommend uninstalling your current video drivers as they may have become corrupted. Then install the latest version available from the manufacturer of the video chipset (ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/190294/fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a problem with Fast User Switching. When I click it from the start menu, if I do it very soon after I log on it seems to work, but then if I do it (even if I don't touch the computer or open any other programs), it stops working after a few mins.

I usually activate Fast User Switching by using the keyboard shortcut WINKEY + L if this helps.

I have tried disabling fast user switching, and found that the Lock Computer option DOES work. Re-enabling fast user swithcing makes the problem occur again.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-fast-user-switching.396691/
Relevancy 50.74%

i have systems on q of them this issue doesn t happen and i have not been able to pin down a setting causing it but when i switch users my mmo program signs off after five minutes or so this doesn t happen on my other machine running vista the HP is on bit though basically when i switch after a few minutes i get logged off and i need to know how to resolve this as my kids will sometimes switch for their own user id this machine listed it works fine Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version fast issue Odd user OS Version Microsoft Odd fast user issue Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R Dual CPU E GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce NVIDIA nForce i Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard FOXCONN Napa HP P N ULSL Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Odd fast user issue Updated and Enabled nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/odd-fast-user-issue.948983/
Relevancy 50.74%

hi i have had this problem since installing the new nvidia drivers for my system and also since installing the Alienguise Theme Suite.

MY logon screen automatically chaged to classic logon when i installed these apps. and i cant change it back. when i try to change this in user accounts. a error window comes up telling me that i must uninstall an application that has recently disabled this feature. it tells me that a file related to this application which is responsible for this is called RtlGina2.dll

anyone able to help me sort this out?
Kind Regards, Veraedon

Hi...

have you tried searching for that file on your pc...rtlgina2.dll? Its location may give you more of a clue on how to fix it.

Also, have a look in services.msc to make sure the Fast User Switching service is set to automatic or manual and is running.

Hope that helps :-)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fast-user-switching-100594.html
Relevancy 50.31%

We are in a domain environment.
We want to disable "Fast User Switching" on our Windows 7 client machines.
We know how to do that, but how do you log off a user who has locked the machine AND the machine has "Fast User Switching" enabled.
We are administrators on the local machine but don?t know how to log off the user.
In XP you could just put in your admin credentials and log the user off.
We only want 1 user at a time to log on the the client machines but also need to be able to log them off if we need to service the machine.

A:Log off user with "Fast User Switching" enabled

Quote: Originally Posted by kenboy

We are in a domain environment.
We want to disable "Fast User Switching" on our Windows 7 client machines.
We know how to do that, but how do you log off a user who has locked the machine AND the machine has "Fast User Switching" enabled.
We are administrators on the local machine but don?t know how to log off the user.
In XP you could just put in your admin credentials and log the user off.
We only want 1 user at a time to log on the the client machines but also need to be able to log them off if we need to service the machine.

Surely you can log them off from the server.

You could create a hidden admin account and use those credentials

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/78714-log-off-user-fast-user-switching-enabled.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I have XP SP3.
I also have the need to run multiple programs on different user accounts all logged in at the same time... is there any way I can get those programs (that are logged in on seperate accounts) to show up on the same user/session/whatever at the same time?

A:Fast User Switching Question

Not that I know of. Windows only lets you see one session at a time so you can only access them from the session they are running in.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-question.878860/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hey Everyone Ok so two weeks ago the temp IT guy User working! not Fast XP :-( on Switching came and messed with my computer Before there were two quot admin quot users on the log in screen myself and another person All of a sudden I get on the computer and I realize that the temp changed both accounts to limited After logging on to the quot hidden quot admin account I changed my account back to quot admin quot and kept Fast User Switching on XP not working! :-( the other one limited However now I don t have the option to quot switch users quot I have literally tried everything and visited a Fast User Switching on XP not working! :-( bunch of forums with no luck When I go into control panal and under user accounts and try to click on the fast user switching button and hit apply it doesn t save the changes i made I have checked the computer services and both Fast User Switching on XP not working! :-( the terminal and fast user switching are running an on automatic However still not able to switch Please help I have been going crazy for the past weeks trying to figure this out Thanks nbsp

A:Fast User Switching on XP not working! :-(

Have you tried a system restore?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-on-xp-not-working.882387/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a problem with IE and fast user switching. I am using windows xp home. The problem occurs when more than on user tries to log into IE. There are 4 users on the pc. If one logs into IE it seems to work fine. If I switch user and try to log on I get a runtime error. Also being and old windows 98 user I am still used to using windows explorer to find files and if one user is on IE. windows exp will not open for the second.
I posted this problem on the hijack this forum thinking that it might be a malware problem but it was not. The computer is malware free.
I have tried SFC and Registering the IE dll's with no success.
Thanks for any assistance you may be able to provide. stroh

A:IE and Fast User Switching Problems

Hi...

Do you have a firewall? If yes, does it support Fast User Switching?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/ie-and-fast-user-switching-problems-98946.html
Relevancy 50.31%

What I would like is to have the need for passwords to be entered on initial login, but not when switching users. Is this possible?

A:Fast user switching without password

Hello Forkboy, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Sorry, but no. You will either have to enter passwords at all log in screens, or remove the passwords for the user accounts to not have to enter passwords.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/150669-fast-user-switching-without-password.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Ok so I did a few googles and tried a few things but didn't get anything I don't usually require it but when my mother comes to visit she often wants to use the computer so it is alot simpler to give her a guest account than having to stash all my ahem questionable material inc bookmarks google sentence finishing thingy cookies yadda yadda Last time she came I just used a different profile for firefox but I want the guest thing just to be safe as I also have a cluttered desktop with stuff I would preferably not have to sift through and hide Can I still just have admin as the one i use passworded and the guest one unpassworded I read that you should have yet another one for user switching Anyhow I also tried making another login account for myself and that didn't work either The problem was firstly that it user in switching can't do fast I Why [SOLVED] XP? would not stop at the welcome screen and go right into my account I sort of fixed that by making a password for my account but it wasn't working right still When logging it came up with the windows bell thing and a box which would disappear I thought it had hung each time until I figured out I could alt-tab back to this box which informed me I could not log on with such and such password and then it takes me to the welcome screen where I can then logon Anyway that sort of fixes the logging thing but still I don't get the fast user switching option It will be very tedious and pointless having to restart the computer each time such that my mother would get exasperated and instead seek to use my account and insodoing uncover my various [SOLVED] Why can't I do fast user switching in XP? naughties I've tried the obvious things of enable fast user switching but it doesn't do anything If I go to shut down I don't have that option at all Where the fast switch thing should be there is just the reset button Any ideas

A:[SOLVED] Why can't I do fast user switching in XP?

Switch User is on the Log Off menu, not the Shut down/Turn off computer menu. Do you have the Log Off button on the start menu? It may have been disabled.

To stop the auto logon to your account:
Disable Autologon

Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type control userpasswords2, press Enter
Check the Box Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
(If already checked, uncheck it, click Apply, then check it)
Click OK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-why-cant-i-do-fast-user-switching-in-xp-521296.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,

My fater-in-law has difficulty moving- his ability to move his mouse is erratic. We are looking for a way to slow his cursor significantly.

I already set the mouse setting in the Control Panel to the slowest possible setting, but it still moves too far too fast for him.

He uses an optical mouse- with a good pad- I don't know which brand of mouse he has currently- he has changed the mouse several times in the last month and the result is always the same. He uses the default driver that came with XP.

Does anyone know if there is a standard mouse driver that would give him the ability to slow the mouse more than the default driver does?

Is there another way to slow it down? It would make such a huge difference for him- he is trapped in his body, and the computer is his primary method of communication.

Thanks!

A:Mouse too fast for disabled user...

It might be easier to mouse keys. By using the keys on the keyboard, the pointer should move slower.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mouse-too-fast-for-disabled-user.487312/
Relevancy 50.31%

I recently replaced my x display with a x and it seems that since then whenever I do a Fast User Switch from the intial user changes, User but Switching only after Desktop Fast logon to a nd both Admins when I logoff User and switch back-again to the original user profile certain of the gadgets and desktop icons move those at the bottom of the desktop and below right also Although I'm not certain they necessarily move PRECISELY in alignment with a x Desktop changes, but only after Fast User Switching desktop that Desktop changes, but only after Fast User Switching of course is what I suspect suppose I use use a measuring tool to determine this exactly I have been to-the-moon-and-back trying things including checking Device Manager for a hidden nd monitor there is none updating checking Graphics drivers this is an Intel DH GD with HD onboard graphics W HPx searching the Registry for appearances of the old x resolution setting both desktops to the same theme unchecking quot allow themes to change icons quot setting icons the same size etc etc ad nauseum to no change What Desktop changes, but only after Fast User Switching is further interesting is that if I logon originally to User and then fast-switch to User and then log-off User then User 's desktop is changed So this problem occurs in quot either direction quot But it does NOT occur if I LOGOFF then logon again to the other user--it ONLY occurs when fast-switching such that the first user is still logged-on I wonder if anyone here knows what the quot magic quot might be for what-is-different between the situation where only user is logged-on at a time vs the quot fast user switch quot where users are logged-on at a time One thing I have NOT tried yet is to re-create the user profile s but I've not done this because I don't know which user profile I'd re-create i e the problem doesn't seem tied to the user Any thoughts about this would be welcome

A:Desktop changes, but only after Fast User Switching

Well I seem to know how to "stump the stars" around here don't I. OK well my workaround is "don't do it" (Fast User Switch) i.e. log OFF and then log ON every user every time.

I've also set-up my Firefox profile on the main user profile so I don't have to switch to the other for surfing...

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/286611-desktop-changes-but-only-after-fast-user-switching.html
Relevancy 50.31%

My wife and I have been using fast user switching on out computer for years with no problem Beginning a few months ago I started Win XP Prof one day I get to the welcome screen with no user names displayed I then press Alt Ctrl Del twice and type in the username and then am able to login User XP Windows Switching Fast to Windows with an account of owner When I go to user accounts Windows XP Fast User Switching in Control Panel I get the error message cells item is null or not an object When I go to computer administration and then local users and groups there are no users listed under users but the groups are listed I have done system point restores and imports of exports of the registry I take with export I have tried everything under safe mode and it makes no difference This followed a Microsoft update the night before as I left the computer on I tried to do a restore point but all my restore points were corrupt I was working with a fellow from Microsoft and he had me Windows XP Fast User Switching do all kinds of things but to no avail He seems to think Windows XP Fast User Switching a DLL file is corrupt but which one Finally in desperation he sent me a new OS XP Prof SP disk and I installed it and it wiped my hard drive Luckily I took an Acronis Image backup first so I easily restored my system This has been going on for months I need help Thanks - Johnny

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/437202/windows-xp-fast-user-switching/
Relevancy 50.31%

A recently installed prog (PC Any 10.0) disabled the "
Welcome Screen" and "Fast user switching".

After uninstalling PC Any 10.0, the "fast User switching" returned.

How do I go about continuing to use PC Any and not have it disable XP functions such as “Fast User Switching”.

Relevancy 50.31%

hello to all..i am new here but have found this site very helpful and i want to thank you in advance for any info regarding my problem. this problem is really affecting my friends pc which is running win xp home on a compact laptop, he has spyware sheriff malware on his pc and after using SMITFRAUDFIX his fast user switching ability started to malfunction...where he now has to log off before another user can get in...any help with this problem will be appreciated Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum ~ Animal

A:Can't Use Fast User Switching After Using Smitfraudfix

I have not heard of the smitfraudfix causing this type of problem so it may be something else.Go to Start > Run and type: services.mscIn the Services Window that opens, scroll down to "FastUser Switching Compatibility" and try activating the service manually again.If that does not work, then check the registry. This may require making changes in the registry. Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to do this on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.Go to Start > Run and type: regeditNavigate to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AllowMultipleTSSessionsMake sure the Value Data is set to 1Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)If that does not work, then chances are malware still exists on your machine and may be responsible. If that's the case its time to have a deeper look as to what's going on with your system by creating a hijackthis log. This will help us to identify and remove the malware files responsible for your problems.Please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log.When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/53705/cant-use-fast-user-switching-after-using-smitfraudfix/
Relevancy 50.31%

I am using XP Pro (Corporate edition I believe) and wish to enable fast user switching. However, whenever I go into the options to do so, it automatically changes back after I push apply settings. I have turned offline files off. Any help? Thanks.

A:I cannot enable fast user switching.

It may be a network client or service that's installed. For instance at work I use Novell, so all pc's have the Novell client installed, which blocks Windows from using the welcome screen and the fast user switching.

do you really need it? past experience is that you end up with several people left logged on, and a pc that's running quite a bit slower as a result...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-cannot-enable-fast-user-switching-56719.html
Relevancy 50.31%

All of a sudden I cannot fast user switch. Any ideas why?

A:Fast User switching failing

Fast User switching depends on Terminal services to run

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switching-failing.273737/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi------ In Services, other than Fast User Switching (set to automatic) is there any other service that would affect the Switch user function which is not working after I disabled a bunch of services.

A:WinXp Fast user switching

Fast User Switching depends on Terminal Services

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winxp-fast-user-switching.272778/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello there...
I'm running a Dell Vostro 460 with Windows 8 Pro with Media Center (64 bit). I have four users set up on the machine, two running as Administrators. I have a big issue when switching between users...

Primarily, I've lost fast user switching, so if someone checks their e-mail or something I lose everything running.

Secondly, after using Win+L to switch users, typing in the correct password removes the Signed in status underneath the user, and then resets the screen to a fresh log-in screen, where I need to retype the password to sign in successfully. This happens intermittently.

The only significant tweak I've made to the system is that I've disabled the Lock Screen using Group Policy Editor.

I've tried looking this up to now avail - does anyone have any suggestions as to what I need to look at/tweak?

All help gratefully received - this whole issue is damn annoying!
Sidney

A:Fast User Switching issues

Any help would be most welcome!

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/20648-fast-user-switching-issues.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi all,

We've got 4 user accounts set up on our XP Pro machine, but only two of them can ever be logged on at once... when we try a third, it acts like it's gonna load but dumps back to the Welcome screen. We have 1.25 GB of RAM and a 1.6 GHz processor, and it worked before but not now.

I've noticed other issues... like when we try to logoff sometimes it hangs on "saving your settings" or just displays the desktop wallpaper and forces us to reboot. I am thinking these issues are related. I made a seperate post about this one earlier but never got it resolved.

Anyone have any ideas???

A:Problems with Fast User Switching....

There is really no reason to have more than one acct logged in at a time in my thinking. Two, maybe. There really is no reason to have 3 or more. That means you have all start up programs running 3 times. Plus any other programs the individual user has open. With a 1.6 P4 it sounds like you might jsut be running into a barrier. You can put all the memory you want in a slow computer and it won't make it fast.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-with-fast-user-switching.438479/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have a problem using my Windows XP 'Fast User Switching' feature; everytime I connect to the internet [dial-up] and then attempt to switch users I lose my internet connection every time.......I suspect that perhaps the problem is w/ my ISP's [PeoplePC] proprietary software, because previously when I used the Dial Up Networking [DUN]feature in Windows XP w/ my former ISP, the 'Fast User Switching' feature worked just fine and no disconnects, however I MUST use PeoplePC's proprietary software [Version 6.1] included on their setup cd to connect and surf the net. I am not able to connect by simply using Windows XP Dial Up Networking, which would resolve the issue.

Here's one for you tech gurus.........any help would be much appreciated!!!!!!

A:Fast User Switching Issue

hello and welcome to techsupportforum.

please post a question in one area only.

i have put your other two identical posts in the trash.

if you aren't sure which is the best section for a particular question, just pick which one seems best, if it's in the wrong spot, we will move it for you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fast-user-switching-issue-60491.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,

Is there any way to automate Fast User Switching on Windows XP?

Say, there are 2 users, user1 and user2. How can I automate the switching procedure to user2?

Thanks,
Haku

A:Automatic Fast User Switching

I'm not quite sure what you mean here... do you want to create a shortcut that will automatically switch over to user2 when you click it or what?

Although I have it disabled, I was under the impression that fast user switching was already pretty automated; just 2 or 3 clicks right?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/automatic-fast-user-switching.385265/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,

My comupter has of it's own accord disabled fast user switching and changed the welcome screen. If i try and change it back i get the following error message:

A recently installed programme has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching. To restore this feature you must uninstall the programme. The following file name may help you identify the program that made the change: C:\WINDOWS\System32\BCMlogon.dll

I have no idea what may have been installed (I haven't installed anything, and my McAfee and Adaware haven't picked anything up).

Can anyone help me?

A:Fast User Switching has disabled

Well I've never encountered this problem myself, but after a little research there are a couple of possible solutions: (attempt these solutions in order, they go from least intrusive, to most intrusive)

1). IF you have a BroadCom wireless network card and have it set to Manage your wireless settings & Authenticate prior to Windows Login.

Simply right-click on the utility in your Task Manager and click Open Utility.

Click on Wireless Networks, and click on Properties for each Preferred Network.

Ensure that "Authenticate prior to Windows Login" is unchecked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If that does not work:

2). * Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
* Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon
* Backup the key by exporting to a file.
* In the right pane, right-click GinaDLL, and then click Delete. (You need to remove the whole value, not just its Value Data)
* Close Registry Editor

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/fast-user-switching-has-disabled-220021.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Im operating many windows vista user accounts, and switching between them is just pain and slow.

Im using windows+L buttons shortcut, but its still pretty slow.

Is there any way how to switch straight away from account to account? For example by making some command icon on desktop for each account, that would get me straight there. Or anything else you can think of and is faster than what im using ?

Also any tips, what to cut down in vistas to make whole process faster? I mean some tweaks that would affect exactly my problem.

Thanks

A:Fast user account switching

Well you can create a shortcut on your desktop but using WinKey + L seems faster to me. I don't know of any way to directly switch it another user. Wouldn't makes sense considering most accounts should be password protected. I am sure this is something MS would never code because the security community would scream bloody murder over it.

This works on my XP Pro computer but I do not know if it works on XP home or Vista Premium because they don't have terminal services.
http://www.theworldofoffice.com/xp-tips-tricks/create-desktop-shortcut-fast-user-switching/
Vista link. There is an update to his story at the bottom for a program to do it on Vista.
UPDATE 2: For your convenience: I’ve compiled the above and packaged it into a ZIP along with the source for download here.Click to expand...

http://blog.dotsmart.net/2008/01/17/shortcut-to-switch-user-in-windows-vista/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-account-switching.858650/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have the need to start a program when I log back into my account every time. The trick is that this needs to start up when logging back in using winxp's fast user switch capability. Any help with this would be very appreciated.

A:Fast-user start up programs

Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way users log on or off > Check 'Use Fast User Switching'. When you logoff it will keep your open programs running, so they're ready to go when you log back in.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-start-up-programs.618393/
Relevancy 50.31%

After several issues on my work PC and listening to "our" great tech support its even worse. I will get to that problem later but for now what ever they did has my XP pro making me log back on if it sits idle for a few minutes. I have searched here and tried the help on my pc but cannot find the answer. How do I keep it from having it log off after just a few minutes?

Relevancy 50.31%

Wanting to migrate my student lab's to amp this summer but need to find a way to quot Disable quot Fast User Switching - I see the advantage for the home user and maybe even a small office but for students who NEVER log off I want the machines to run as fast and as clean as possible and NOT have multiple accounts logged in at the same time While I am familiar with Switching for Fast User Domain PC's the reg hack to hide the quot switch user quot button this is also not an option since if a student logs in and locks the machine there is no way for the lab instructors to log Fast User Switching for Domain PC's off the machine with their administrator credentials It simply asks for that users information and the only way around is to shut down or reboot the machine Did Microsoft miss this It may have been in Vista also but we skipped that OS and this will be a MAJOR headache for MANY network admins - I hope I have missed something and look forward to anyone's advice on Fast User Switching for Domain PC's this and how they handle this scenario -

A:Fast User Switching for Domain PC's

Try this,

Lock and Switch User - Add or Remove - Vista Forums

The first thing you can do is disable the Lock function,
in the registry browse to the following keys: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Then create a a new DWORD (32bit value) name it DisableLockWorkstation
Change the value to 1 which disables the Windows Lock. (The change should be immediate)

From there you can disable the Switch User, from either Group Policy or in the registry..

Hope this Helps...

EDIT: I have just tested this on my Windows 7 computer and it works! I can't Lock the machine or switch users..

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/84148-fast-user-switching-domain-pcs.html
Relevancy 49.88%

In previous versions of Windows, and in Windows Server 2008 I can use the Tab key to switch the user in the logon prompt without using a mouse, but in Windows 7, the focus never cycles to Switch User.

How do I get the Tab key to focus on Switch User in Windows 7?

A:How do I Switch User at log on using Tab?

Hi dhermosillo,

Welcome to Seven Forums.

This is strange, i have tested on my machine and when tabbing it does focus the switch user

I will do some testing...

Regards,
JDobbsy1987

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/165457-how-do-i-switch-user-log-using-tab.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi, I recently installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my system. Everything runs great except one thing. I'm not able to switch users like I used to on my Vista system. The 'switch user' is greyed out. I have 3 user accounts on my system. On my earlier Vista system, if i were to put the system in standby mode and then re-open it again, it would show me a password field (since that account was password protected) and a 'Switch User' button below the password field. However no such thing shows in Win 7. Both the vista and win 7 were home premium editions. Any clue on how to enable this here? Any help would be much appreciated!!

A:Not able to 'switch user' in my Win 7

The accounts are probably corrupt and you may lose them. Go to control panel, users accounts and set up new account. If you can do this transfer everything from the corrupt account and then delete it. Make sure your new account is administrator.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/40809-not-able-switch-user-my-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hey guys,
I got alittle problem
my windows xp won't swtich accounts anymore but it'll log out perfectly
It may have been something i did... because last week i disabled a few services (http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_un..._on_windows_xp)

It may also be some virus or spyware because before this happened, sometimes when i would switch user on xp it would tell me i need a password to get onto any of my accounts but none of them have passwords usually (I would have to restart my pc)

Anyways I hope I gave enough info
thanks for your time

A:XP Won't Switch User

I figured out the problem.... I turned off the program to let multiple users on a pc sorry if i wasted anyones time...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-wont-switch-user-132447.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi for some uknown reason xp wont let me switch users any more ive got to restart it then go to that user,anyone know what the problem could be.thanks.

Relevancy 49.88%

I recently updated some files under a different user name then the administrator, when I finished I was not able to open another user from the welcome menu. I tried to create another user to see if that would work with no success. In some reading I found out that when updating files you should log on as the administrator only, or else you can get in to trouble. My question is how do I reverse my wrong doings?

A:Win XP, Can't switch user

If you aren't the administrator, how is it possible to update files?

If it was possible (some how), to reverse your wrong doings, you'd have to log on as administrator!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-cant-switch-user.100544/
Relevancy 49.88%

My computer shows the blue screen when I do the following:

First I Log on on my account

Then I switch user and go in annother account when my other account is still running.

But when i log off the second account It gives the blue screen when windows shows "logging off" or whatever it says;

Can anybody help me?

Thx

A:Switch User

I see nobody has replied to you yet, but be patient, someone will soon help.

In the mean time it may help you, if your post your problem in a little more detail, i'm not sure I understand it.

I'm not an expert so I can't offer help, but if you do that you may receive it faster!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/switch-user-119305.html
Relevancy 49.88%

How do I establish another log in so my wife and I can have independent accounts on one computer? I see where I can change users but am not sure how to make that other account.

Relevancy 49.88%

Well i can't switch user it just cancels and goes back to desktop. I go to control panel and Fast User Switching is off, but i try to turn it on... i press Apply Option and i go back to it and its off again. In services its set at Automatic, but not turned on. I try to start it, but it says "Could not start the Fast User Switching Compatibility service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start." AllowMultipleTSSessions is already enabled in regedit. This problem started right after i formatted the computer

A:Can't switch user

Check in services.msc that Terminal Services is running and set to Automatic. If it isn't make the changes, and then try starting Fast User Switching :-)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-switch-user-104129.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Well i can't switch user it just cancels and doesn't do anything. I go to control panel and Fast User Switching is off, but i try to trun it on... i press Apply Option and i go back to it and its off again. I was tweaking the computer earlier and i think i by accidently messed up the the registry or turned off a service.

Relevancy 49.88%

Hi, I recently installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on my system. Everything runs great except one thing. I'm not able to switch users like I used to on my Vista system. The 'switch user' is greyed out. I have 3 user accounts on my system. On my earlier Vista system, if i were to put the system in standby mode and then re-open it again, it would show me a password field (since that account was password protected) and a 'Switch User' button below the password field. However no such thing shows in Win 7. Both the vista and win 7 were home premium editions. Any clue on how to enable this here? Any help would be much appreciated!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-able-to-switch-user-in-my-win-7.880499/
Relevancy 49.88%

Not major problem but annoying.If I'm using the computer and my wife needs access to her account,we have to log my account off then open her's. If we try just to switch user the computer seems to hang, the cursor still moves but nothing happens.
Any advice.

Sometimes clearing the security log can fix this problem. Log into your computer as an administrator. Go Start > Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then Computer Management. Beside Event Viewer, click the + (plus sign) to expand the list, and then click Security. From the Action menu, select Clear all Events, and then click No to clear the log.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/124585/switch-user/
Relevancy 49.88%

Switch user isn't working for me, every time I try, nothing happens. Log off is working fine. I don't know if this relates, recently I was using a program to clean the registry, and it may have deleted something it was not supposed to.

Relevancy 49.88%

Well i can't switch user it just cancels and doesn't do anything. I go to control panel and Fast User Switching is off, but i try to turn it on... i press Apply Option and i go back to it and its off again. In services its set at Automatic, but not turned on. I try to start it, but it says "Could not start the Fast User Switching Compatibility service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.". AllowMultipleTSSessions is already enabled in regedit. I tried this link and still doesn't work

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827328

A:Can't switch user

Hi...

Go to your Control Panel and then select User Accounts. Choose 'Change the way users log on or off' and ensure that 'Use Fast User Switching' is enabled in there. If it's grayed out, put a tick in 'Use Welcome Screen' first.

Hope that helps :-)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-switch-user-102815.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Hi,

I cant switch users. When i click on swith user the screen just blinks and goes back to desktop.

plz help!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-switch-user-7650.html
Relevancy 49.88%

ok, this is pretty irrelevant but....I'd like to know how to add a switch user desktop shortcut in Wind10 (32bit).

Tsdiscon doesn't work in this version of 10 so...is there an alternative?

maybe I'm not doing something really obvious but *shrug* I don't know.

anyone?

A:switch user

By "switch user desktop" do you mean switch to a new PC user or swap to a secondary, third, or fourth desktop on the same user account?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/switch-user-1026602.html
Relevancy 49.88%

If i switch user instead of lock it brings me to a screen with one of the lock screen wallpapers. how do ichange that wallpaper?

Hello Joe,

If you mean the screen below, then the tutorial below can help show you how to change the default lock screen background image.

Lock Screen Default Background Image - Change in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/45803-switch-user.html
Relevancy 49.88%

When I try to switch users I get the screen that says loading you personel settings but it hangs and does not load anthing. The only cure so far is to reboot and then I can choose a user with no problem. When someone else wants to get on thier account they have the same problem and have to reboot. Any ideas?