Windows Support Forum

Changing Hard drive and motherboard

Q: Changing Hard drive and motherboard

This is what I want to do.Transfer everything from my ide on my computer to a sata drive on my computer and then use it in a new computer that I"m building.I had to slow down the drive to sata1 to get it to work in old computer.Drives are maxtor ide and Western Digital sata 2.I have both softwares.Running win xp pro all updates applied.Any help is going to be appreciated.
TIA,Allenv

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Changing Hard drive and motherboard

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Changing Hard drive and motherboard

You can transfer files and data but you will need to install Windows clean on new build...fine to have files and data on the drive in a separate partition so you do not format the whole drive by accident and lose everything, or use sata drive for clean install and then jumper the ide drive as slave and use whatever you want from it in new build.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drive-and-motherboard.556525/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello,

Nice to meet you

I have problem, after changing motherboard and cpu from AMD and intel, my windows go to infinite repair loop and drive letter messed up (I have 5 hardrive, with 7 partition), trying many way, failed to recover the windows, so I decided to reinstall my windows, using 1 hardrive, success, but, when I attach the rest hardrive, the drive letter messed up again, my OS drive become D and one of my hardrive become C, windows cannot boot, even failed when I try to reinstall again (cannot continue after first restart) & when choosing drive, there are warning that's all my drive unable to became boot device

now, how I can reinstall the windows?

Thanks,

Sylphan

A:Hard drive letter messed up after changing motherboard

hello, anyone can help? I just want to rid the drive letter, so I can install the windows & re-assign the hard rive...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/228393-hard-drive-letter-messed-up-after-changing-motherboard.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I'm in the middle of re-installing after switched drive changing motherboard letters windows right now and migrating my drive info over but I'd prefer to solve this I purchased an updated asus p n-d motherboard from using a not very good biostar p m - se When I installed my sata hard drive that already had a copy windows working and activated I found that it wouldn't boot So I used win pe and booted to find that the drive letters have been messed up The meg system reserve was now c instead of z c was now f d was now e I tried everything I thought I could use the diskmgmt msc tool in win pe but quickly realized that's just a virtual disk and wouldn't write the info to windows I drive letters switched after changing motherboard thought I could import the registry and use the regedit on drive letters switched after changing motherboard HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM MountedDevices but couldn't find it on the screwed up drive it's a pol file isn't it I'm stuck I decided to reinstall windows on a new drive use sportmau suite to copy over the information and then use windows setting and migration tool copy most of the setting onto the new install I'd like to solve this though Is there anyway to boot or re-assign the drive letters on the drive now that they're messed up Diskpart Any ideas are good ideas thanks J gt

A:drive letters switched after changing motherboard

Welcome!

Try a startup repair.

You may need to mark the Windows partition as active before the repair will find your installation.

Partition - Mark as Active

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/75466-drive-letters-switched-after-changing-motherboard.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have Vista Home Premium with two GB internal hard can't after internal boot drive hard second changing to drive letter drives copy amp E I am trying to put Vista on drive E and upgrade to Windows on drive C I had successfully cloned the can't boot to second internal hard drive after changing drive letter drive C of Vista onto an external hard drive and copied it to drive E the second internal hard drive When I copied the cloned copy of Vista to drive E the system changed the drive letter to L Everything was working fine and I could boot into either C or L In a fit of neatness I guess I decided that I would like to have the newly labeled drive L designated as drive E again and changed it to drive E in Disk Management while I was booted into drive C Now I am unable to boot into the second internal drive I just get a blank screen I can get Task Manager but nothing else not even the Start icon I booted back into C and changed the drive back to L but that didn't work either I tried to boot the second internal drive in Safe Mode but just got a blank screen without the start icon I tried restoring to a previous date but that wouldn't work and it only restores C anyway When I'm booted in drive C it shows the second internal drive L and shows all the files and programs that should be on drive L How do I get the drive restored so I can boot into it Thanks to anyone that can help

A:can't boot to second internal hard drive after changing drive letter

I don't know if this helps, but is drive L still marked as an "active" partition in disk management?  When you right click the partition the option should be there to do so if it is not marked as such. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576064/cant-boot-to-second-internal-hard-drive-after-changing-drive-letter/
Relevancy 58.91%

Is it possible and feasible to change the hard drive to a solid state drive on a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300-1FK laptop.If the answer is affirmative then would appreciate as much information and guidance there is available.

A:Changing hard drive to solid state drive

I took a quick look at the specs and don't see why you couldn't. That laptop is maybe 3 or 4 years old?

What you would have to decide is if you want to attempt to transfer Windows from the current hard drive to the SSD or instead do a clean install on the SSD. Cloning/imaging can work and save time, but many would tell you to just do a clean install instead.

Good SSD brands: Intel, Crucial M4 series, Samsung 830 series.

I assume this Toshiba has only a single drive bay?

Do you have an external hard drive?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234578-changing-hard-drive-solid-state-drive.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Is there any way at all of changing the drive letter of the main hard drive - which is obviously in use? Have got it set at 'I' by accident and want to return it to 'C' drive. I know about changing other drive letters and have done so easily enough but am stuck with this one. Is it forever???

A:Changing drive letter of main hard drive

Hello silver2142

You can change the drive letter of anything except the system partition.
Unfortunately, the only real way to change the system partition letter is to wipe and reinstall.

XP won`t mind being installed on "I". It is just an inconvenience to you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-drive-letter-of-main-hard-drive-394786.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a Pent. 4, 800 mhz running win98 with 2 hard drives. The C drive, which is the boot drive, is on its way out - with several bad sectors. Right now it's limping along, but I'm able to boot it up. I'd like to replace it, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Should I install win98 on the other hard drive (D) and somehow have it boot to that drive before I take out the defective drive? Any help would be appreciated.

A:Changing out hard drive

I would get a new drive and put it in as the new "C" and reload win98 leaving the existing "D" untouched.

If you have installed any applications on the "D" drive you will have to reload them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-out-hard-drive.151443/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a Pent. 4, 800 mhz running win98 with 2 hard drives. The C drive, which is the boot drive, is on its way out - with several bad sectors. Right now it's limping along, but I'm able to boot it up. I'd like to replace it, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Should I install win98 on the other hard drive (D) and somehow have it boot to that drive before I take out the defective drive? Any help would be appreciated.

A:Changing out hard drive

Closing duplicate, reply here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=1017313#post1017313

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-out-hard-drive.151441/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have an old 4gb computer with Windows XPProfessional installed on it. My son 7yrs uses it to play games etc but needs more memory.
I have been given a 20gb Maxtor hard drive (Model 2B020H1) by a friend and can find my way around the inside of the Tower unit. Is it just a matter of swapping the two drivers.
The 20 gb drive has Windows XP Home installed.
Should it have one or two of the small pin links(jumpers ?) inserted, If so which pins do I link up.
Not a computer genius and hope that you understand what I mean.

My sons computer is a Pentium 3-- 128 Ram but I may double this. 4.2gb IDE Hard drive

Relevancy 58.05%

my old pc has an ide drive my newer pc has an aya. the aya doesnt work i tried to reboot the pc it gets 1/4way through and stops working so i put the aya drive inthe old pc and it did the same thing.now i tried to put the ide in the newer pc and i got a screen that read its not configured properly how can i configure itor do i need to buy a special hard drive

i would appreciate your feed back
thanks glenn

Relevancy 58.05%

I recently reformated my hard drive in order to scourge away some viruses I managed to accumulate and could not remove. After the reformating, I installed windows XP and most things seem to be working just fine. The only problem is my hard drive is now labeled F:, rather than C:. At least one program I would like to use is apparently having troube with this.
How can I change my F: drive to a C: drive?
Thanks.

Relevancy 58.05%

Based on feedback attained here it seems as if I am going to buy a SSD to replace my current hard drive. My question now is, how do i transfer my OS and other stuff created on it to my new SSD. I assume I need to create an image of my current drive and do something along these lines:
[1]Create image of drive which now holds Win7 and sits on the C: drive.
[2] install new SSD drive
[3] Copy image from old HD to new SSD.
[4] Shut down PC.
It is here that things get fuzzy. Do I remove my old drive at this point and before the system boots up go to my BIOS and tell it where C: my boot drive now sits or......?
Oh and another thing. Will Microsoft now think I have a new PC or something? I mean would I need to re-register my win7 serial number or what-have-you?

A:Changing from hard drive to SSD what do I do about my OS

Quote: Originally Posted by pintree3

I assume I need to create an image of my current drive and do something along these lines:
[1]Create image of drive which now holds Win7 and sits on the C: drive.
[2] install new SSD drive
[3] Copy image from old HD to new SSD.
[4] Shut down PC.
It is here that things get fuzzy. Do I remove my old drive at this point and before the system boots up go to my BIOS and tell it where C: my boot drive now sits or......?
Oh and another thing. Will Microsoft now think I have a new PC or something? I mean would I need to re-register my win7 serial number or what-have-you?

It's not likely you will have to re-register. A new hard drive isn't "a new PC".

Your first decision point is "do I do a clean install or do I try to transfer/restore my existing system".

The former is less likely to be problematic, but it's up to you to decide if you want to do the latter. The latter usually works, but occasionally requires troubleshooting and problems.

I'm assuming for the following comments that you don't want to do a clean install.

You must then decide if you want to use cloning or imaging. They are different. Your list above assumes imaging is to be used.

For imaging, your steps would generally be:

1: Choose an application to do it; Macrium Reflect Free Edition is a common choice.
2: Install Macrium and make an image file of your current C partition and also of your system reserved partition, if you have one. You probably do.
3: Save those image files on some other drive, most commonly an external.
4: make a "rescue disk" within Macrium, preferably using the "WinPE" method.
5: confirm that this disc will boot your PC and that you can locate your drives and partitions.
6: Disconnect the original hard drive. Connect the SSD.
7: Boot from the rescue disk and "restore" the previously saved image files to the SSD.
8: Confirm that the SSD is bootable.
9: Reconnect your old hard drive and do what you want with it. It will no longer be C.

The image files you make aren't "copied" anywhere. They need to be "restored" to make your new drive bootable.

A screen shot of Windows Disk Management would help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/330273-changing-hard-drive-ssd-what-do-i-do-about-my-os.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello,

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-NW270F laptop and I started getting the "A SMART event occured" message, so I bought a new hard drive. I have recovery disks that I created when I bought the computer about a year ago.

I put the new hard drive in and booted up the computer with the #1 recovery cd in the disk drive. The new hard drive is not recognized and the recovery option do not seem to apply to putting in a new hard drive. It prompts me to click a "select driver" button which takes me to the X drive files and the recovery disk files, but I cannot find a driver in either. Can anyone point me in the right direction and tell me what I need to do to install this new hard drive?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello I have just purchased a new blank TB hard drive Western Digital and have been using the web for instructions how to make the drive usable - partitioning and formatting etc etc I seem only to be able to get TB MBR 3TB drive GPT from hard Changing to of the disk as usable -the partitioning is broken in to Changing 3TB hard drive from MBR to GPT parts of GB and GB Having consulted the web about this problem it seems the problem is the disk is in MBR mode perhaps something i did which doesnt allow anything greater then GB when it should in fact be GPT When i view Changing 3TB hard drive from MBR to GPT the disk list in Computer Management of Windows it reads as follows Type Basic Capacity GB Unallocated Space GB Status Online Device Type USB Partition style Changing 3TB hard drive from MBR to GPT MBR If what i have been researching is correct it seems somehow I have to get the disk from MBR to GPT before i can begin the process of partitioning and formatting however i am unable to find any information on how to successfully do this Can someone please help Im not sure what other information is needed but i'm running Vista Many thanks in advance

A:Changing 3TB hard drive from MBR to GPT

I am assuming this is USB disk. Download the free Partition Wizard for home and use the MBR to GPT conversion wizard.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/convert-MBR-disk-to-GPT-disk.html

Edit: Some additional info.

User should be aware that data will be erased while converting MBR to GPT. Please refer following steps of how to use MiniTool Partition Wizard to convert MBR to GPT.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532220/changing-3tb-hard-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt/
Relevancy 58.05%

ok first off i have hard help drive name a I changing hard with need drives on my pc my hp I need help with changing a hard drive name recovery I need help with changing a hard drive name which is C drive where xp is installed and the main hard drive i use which is D i wanted to change the name of my C drive to something else so i was playing around and went to this link here see below i went into Regedit exe and into HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM and then MountedDevices and changed the name of C drive into M drive and i changed my D drive into C i restarted and now windows wont load properly i cant get to my desktop im stuck at the blue windows xp load screen just before you get to the desktop how can i change the letters of the drives back to the way they were before without being able to access my desktop i obviously screwed up windows since it doesnt recognze itself on the new drive so i need to change it back http www ehow com how chan m-drive-c html

A:I need help with changing a hard drive name

All you had to do was right click on your hard drive in explorer and change the name. You shouldn't be playing in the registry if you aren't sure what you're doing.

Reboot and keep tapping your F8 key then select Last Good Configuration.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-need-help-with-changing-a-hard-drive-name-519624.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi
recently i put in a new DVD rewriter in my pc wich changed the driver location of my removable hard drive . It has 1900 artist on there wich are all in itunes and i dont want to change the locatinn of the songs and so is there any way of changing the location of the hard drive from :F to :G. Some one said there was a way of doing it from the administarative tools in control pannel. Please say if you know a way of changing it. My career depends on you!!!!!!.

A:Changing hard drive location

The easiest way is to right click on your "my computer", select manage, then storage, then disk management. Then just right click and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.

What i tend to do is set say my cd burner to z then arrange the hard drives as i want, then change the burner from z to the lowest available letter - as an example.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drive-location.65349/
Relevancy 57.62%

Ok I just got home tonight to realize that my laptop hard drive is dead I m not sure if it is from overheating or what but I turned it off and am going to mess with it tomorrow I am wondering how hard it would be for me personally to replace that hard drive with a new one And if it is even possible out hard laptop Changing drive???? to take that hard drive out and put it in my desktop and see if it is totally dead or what My thoughts are that it got hacked and someone put a hard drive killer on it because it has been working fine without any problems lately I hate to think this but until I investigate a little that is the only thing I have been thinking about Anyway If anyone has replaced or exchanged a Changing out laptop hard drive???? laptop hard drive before I would like some input about how hard it is I am very computer literate and know a lot about them desktops never laptops So this isn t a n b job Or if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do to check Right now the only thing it wants to Changing out laptop hard drive???? do is boot from the network I enter the bios and my primary master isn t recognized it says NONE It is a KDS Valiant laptop If you need more specs I ll look them up but I m sure it has nothing to do with that nbsp

A:Changing out laptop hard drive????

It sure be fairly easy to change the hard drive. It will probably be a 2.5" device, and you should be able to get at it, simply be sliding a panel off the bottom of the laptop.

As for connecting it to a Desktop, you will need either a 2.5" - 3.5" hard drive adapter or a 2.5" external hd enclosure (USB/Firewire).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-out-laptop-hard-drive.2756/
Relevancy 57.62%

Well. I just bought a new laptop yesterday. It's got a SDD, and 2 HDD's. The thing is, the SDD is my C: drive. So whenever I install a program, it defaults to install on the SDD which is not big enough for that at all, as right now it's simply holding the OS. Is there a way I can perhaps rename the drives so programs always install to my other drives, rather then this SDD?

A:Changing default hard drive?

You don`t want to rename any drives or change the letters now. That should only be done when you format a drive, to many things could go wrong. When you install a program just change the drive letter in the path from C: to the hard drive you want to install it on. It will still put all the usual stuff in the start menu.

For example. Instead of C: program/files/ccleaner change it to D: program/files/ccleaner or whatever the case may be. It will still put an icon on your desktop if you choose to or you can always put it in the taskbar. The icon will still be in the start menu.

And if you really need the space you could always uninstall a program on C: and install it to the other drive. But be very careful as you don`t want to loose anything you have paid for and can`t find the activation code. Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/215055-changing-default-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 57.62%

My old hard drive is failing bad). Takes 2-3 minutes from boot up before I can even open internet explorer or any app and the app icons are all white squares until then. Can?t play Battlefield 4 without freezing and hearing beep beep in the background as if Windows has just had a new drive plugged in. Ordered a new HD and coming tomorrow.

So if I replace my C failing drive(I assume its that one which has my OS on it thats failing) and reinstall W7 and not my D Drive(Seperate HD) which has my steam and origin games on it, will the steam and origin games still work or do I have to reinstall those too?

A:Changing Hard Drive and Reinstalling W7?

Steam may have some issues when it begins to look for the game files themselves.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/changing-hard-drive-and-reinstalling-w7-751257.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have 2 Hard drives, can I change the drive letters? and,if so, how? in xp/pro.

A:Changing hard drive letters

You can change drive letters in disk management as long as it is not a system drive [where windows is installed]. Just right click the drive you want to change and select change driver / path from the menu.

It is possible to change a system drive letter, however I do not recommend that you do so. It is an involved process and many apps will need to be reinstalled.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drive-letters.332769/
Relevancy 57.62%

Very long story, but this is the short one. What is the easiest way to replace a 20gig WD Hard Drive C with a 40 gig? I am worried about not having an OS once the hard drive is removed. I have W98 2nd edition on CD of course. I am worried about a boot disk or something that will have CD rom drivers on it! I have added drives as slaves in the past, but not the master... Please Help... Current OS is supposed to be dual boot with W2000 Pro & W98, but W98 will not work. This is all new, was using W98. Have been having problems with the 20 gig drive. I have the 40 gig already.

Relevancy 57.62%

I want to switch a hard drive from one computer w/ motherboard to another. I tried, but it just kept restarting. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 57.62%

Hi all,

I'm running Windows XP SP3.
My external hard disk drive letter keeps changing every time i plug it out and back in again.
For example, if have assigned it to H:\, after plugging it out and plugging it back in again it changes to I:\.
It happens every single time and there is no way to change it back to H:\ as it disappears from the "Change Drive Letter" drop down list in "Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management".
The only way to make the letter come back into the drop down list is to restart my computer.

Please help, i've tried almost everything except reformatting my computer which is something i dont want to do.

Thanks in advance,
Brian ^_^

A:Hard Drive Letter Keeps Changing

Hi, welcome to TSF,

are you removing it in the correct manner, i.e. using the 'safely remove hardware' option from your systray?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-letter-keeps-changing-474784.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hey guys. I have 2 hard drives and 1 is a lot bigger than the main one. I was wondering if I changed them around would my computer run faster and how I would go about doing this, what I mean is make my larger hard drive my default disk C if possible? http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a515/Conor471/2_zpse7002c3f.jpg

A:Changing which hard drive is primary.

Do you actually have two hard drives or one hard drive with two partitions? Please answer this with a screen shot of the Disk Management window. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 8 or 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-which-hard-drive-is-primary.1128791/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have changed my Gigabyte GA-7ZX with Athlon 900mhz for a ECS K7S5A and Athlon XP 1800 Thoroughbred .

I have a 40 Gb HDD that was on the GA-7ZX with Win XP Pro with a lot of work on it and saved to Norton Ghost.

The question I am asking do you think I will have much problem transferring the 40Gb HDD with the Win XP Pro to the ECS K7S5A /athlon Xp 1800 combination .

Hope I have explained it properly

Thanks in advance

Relevancy 57.62%

Hey there,
So I just ran into a problem with my External Western Digital Hard Drive. Previously, my drive was mapped as the E Drive (I believe) and after taking it down and setting it up again (when i moved back to college), my external hard drive switched drive names on me. This really sucks, as my external drive stores all of my iTunes music and now when i run iTunes, it tries to find the music from the E Drive location and not the G Drive location. Is there an easy way I can change the letter drives so that I don't have to reimport all of my music? Thanks!

A:Hard Drive Letters Keep Changing!

Sure, Right Click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. Right click on the drive graphic and change it's drive letter.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-letters-keep-changing.540007/
Relevancy 57.62%

So here's the issue..
All of my music that I play off iTunes is on an external hard drive labeled "F."

When I recently turned on my external HD the computer assigned it the "H" drive. Of course, when I try to play music in iTunes, it can't find the music because the "F" drive doesn't exist. I've tried to get the computer to force this external HD to stay as the "F" drive (because otherwise the music won't play since it's searching for the F Drive) but to no avail. Any way I can fix this? Hope this made sense

A:Changing Hard Drive Letters

One way would be to let iTunes search for and archive the music again.

Another would be start>control panel>Admin tools>computer management> disk managment.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drive-letters.448631/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a computer that I want to put a bigger hard drive in. It is a Dell Optiplex 210L. I am trying to put a 400 gb Toshiba SATA in and I have already loaded Windows XP on it. It works in my computer that I loaded the program on, but when I went to put it in the Optiplex it won't boot. It gives me an option to either hit F1 or F2. When I do either, I always end up at the same place, the dos screen with the F1 or F2 messages.
Do I need to load the program on the hard drive from the Optiplex, or does that not make a difference?

A:Problem changing to a new hard drive

According to the original system specs it only supports drives up to 160GB
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/desktops/optix_210l/pd.aspx?refid=optix_210l&cs=22&s=dfh

There may have been a bios update to support larger drives. I would put the old drive in and update the BIOS from the Dell website. And you can't install Windows from one computer and move the hard drive to another computer (well, not easily). If it does get passed the boot screen after the BIOS update I would reinstall Windows on the 400GB drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-changing-to-a-new-hard-drive.969751/
Relevancy 57.62%

I recently just reformatted and added in another HDD. The old setup was a WD 500GB, Hitachi 1TB, and Seagate 1TB, with a Asus DVD drive all installed through Sata connectors.
When I formatted the F drive, being the Hitachi 1TB, it took the OS just fine and I was able to install all my programs and games. Though when I removed the WD 500GB and installed a newer WD 2TB there seems to be a huge problem.
My drive lettering has automatically changed, forcing the F drive to a G drive, the D drive, which was the DVD drive, has been changed to F.
I've gone through dos prompts from the only known source I can get to, a win 7 install disk in recovery options. Yet every time I change the lettering through diskpart in dos, it never sticks.
Can anyone help me in this terrible predicament.

A:Hard drive letter changing?

MS info here Changing, adding or removing a drive letter - Windows Help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-letter-changing-993818.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hey,

Just a quick one really im getting a new SATA HD when in the next few weeks of so, i know its gonna be over 750GB but that all i know atm. Anyhow just in your opinion what the best way of changing the hard drive from an old ATA to the new one and keeping the old Vista install. Ive got it set up how i like it and it seems to be going good so how can i keep it.

Thanks

A:Changing hard drive and keeping install

Imaging: http://www.techspot.com/vb/post664079-2.html
That's the easiest way

The best way would be to re-install clean

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drive-and-keeping-install.118117/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi, I have a 1.5TB hard drive that is failing (disk runs 100%) for periods of time.   It is still running mostly and my question is:I have a 500GB drive E: that I plan to dump the data, 350GB, to (C.  Then clear the drive and use the recovery disks that Imade from the 1.5TB drive when it was new, and switch drives, making the 500GB (C,  and loading the recovery disks to it.  Is there a problem with changing the size of the drives?  Also I am running Windows 10  (64 bit) and the recovery will drop me back to Windows 7 (64), will there be a problem doing this?  I will then do the Windows 10 upgrade.  I wish I had switched when I first got the computer, knowing that the OS would be better on a smaller drive. Thank you for any help you can give! Carl Mendenhall

A:Changing size of hard drive when doing recovery

Hi, >>>  and loading the recovery disks to itWhere a they come from ? If from HP or from you (using HP Recovery Manager to create) then you need SAME size or larger (capacity). Smaller won't work. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Changing-size-of-hard-drive-when-doing-recovery/td-p/5848751
Relevancy 56.76%

nbsp I think the answer may be obvious for this but I can't find it anywhere so here we gooooo nbsp Ok so I posted on here a few days ago about my failing hard drive and determined that I should get It replaced utilizing the extended warranty that I got which allows free on-site repair nbsp However two days ago I had to go back to drive void Does warranty? the hard changing your my parents house for personal reasons and have not yet updated my address for lenovo I have also not received a call from a technician yet It would not be a big deal but I am starting Does changing your hard drive void the warranty? a job in a couple days where I work as a sales agent from my laptop and I need it to be functional so it can run the appropriate software for Monday nbsp nbsp As I have already gotten the replacement hard drive and recovery USB in the mail from lenovo would it void the warranty if I took it upon myself or a more computer savvy friend of Does changing your hard drive void the warranty? mine to replace it as opposed to wait for the technician to contact me Its not a matter of impatience simply a matter of I need my laptop to be functional so i can work from it Thanks

A:Does changing your hard drive void the warranty?

This is mostly opinion-based, but I'm pretty sure hard drives are CRUs (Customer Replaceable Units). Given that they mailed you the replacement drive, you should be able to install the new one, and mail back the old one.

Did the box with the hard drive come with a return shipping label? If so, just call Lenovo Support and check if you can just do the replacement yourself. Only downside is that you'll also have to do the Windows install again if the drive isn't pre-imaged.

Again, I'd recommend calling to confirm, but if you're comfortable replacing it, it won't void your warranty.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Does-changing-your-hard-drive-void-the-warranty/td-p/3357410
Relevancy 56.76%

hello all.

i recently had some issues with my HD. apparently, it just crapped out, i have my new one now, a Seagate 160Gb Sata interface. my comp is a Gateway M680. i installed the HD, ran the setup disk, and after restarting i got this:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

windows support says its due to incompatible or damaged hardware. this is a brand new HD and i cant see how it would be incompatible. i could really use assistance, im getting tired of using my sisters tiny laptop. any help is greatly appreciated

A:error message after changing hard drive

try re-installing the drivers by doing a repair install using your Windows CD

Boot from CD
select install at the first window
Hit F8 when asked to agree to EULA
Select R when the next window arrives with your installed partition highlighted

If it's not SP 1 or SP 2, have your SATA drivers ready .. like you did the time you re-installed windows

also have your Reg Key ready.

XP will re-install ONLY the drivers to your PC .. just be patient and wait for the install to complete

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-message-after-changing-hard-drive-201493.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I run two GB Seagate hard drives each with three partitions on them I use C drive to put windows on D drive for my apps and E drive for music files pictures video etc Hard drives changing drive letters! On the second hard drive I skip the F drive in case I ever need to load another operating system on it and on G and H I mirror what s on my D and E drives for backup purposes I do this through a software sync program It s not a RAID setup Anyway about three weeks ago I was refomatting I do this alot because I m kind of a perfectionist and I want everything installed perfectly I also tend to mess with Hard drives changing drive letters! the registry a little to much because I like it clean and without errors but that s another topic But this time I was reformating it was right after I had to installed a new second hard drive and partition it I ll come back to why I mentioned that in a second During my last two Hard drives changing drive letters! reformats after I loaded Vista I went to my computer and noticed that some of the Drive letters had changed on both hard drives I can t remember exactly which letters changed to what but it was like my D drive I believe was now F and so on All in all three drives had changed or switched around drive letters The data was all still there on partitions C D and E but the letters were off I even checked in Windows Vista Disk Management and noticed the changes there too But I wasn t about to use the Disk Management tool to make any changes back to the right way For that I fired up Acronis Disk Director Suite and I was able to make things right I had to do it in a wierd way changing the drives first to X Y and Z and then back to D E and F Now everything is fine but I am wondering what and why this happened I even started to wonder whether it had something to do when I put the new second hard drive in because I made the first partiion in that a primary not logical Could this be the problem I did this only only because when I made it Logical it left about a MB piece of unpartitioned space that I couldn t get rid of I also noticed today when I was reformating again Yes I was doing it again that during my wipe of the C drive drive with the Acronis Drive Cleanser which I like to run first before putting the OS on to make for a nice clean install that it even had my drive letters mixed up So I aborted that process and went back to doublecheck in My Computer and Acronis Disk Director that everything was where it was supposed to be and everything was C D and E on hard disk and E F and H on Hard Disk But after seeing what the Acronis Drive cleanser showed me I got to wonder was I seeing the partitions and drives and drive letters as they really were and not quot fixed like they appeared in Windows Everything runs fine on my computer so I am not worried about this too much I just want to get a good answer as to what s really gone on nbsp

A:Hard drives changing drive letters!

Windows assigns drive letters every time you boot up, so if you continually make changes to partitions you are going to see different drive letters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives-changing-drive-letters.655153/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have a situation that isn't really a major problem but is slightly annoying and somewhat Drive Changing External Hard Letter puzzling I have an external TB Iomega USB hard drive on my system It Changing External Hard Drive Letter is set to be Drive Y Most of the time everything is fine But occasionally after I boot the system I'll get the pop up on the screen asking me what I want to do with Drive J And yes the quot new quot Drive J is indeed really my Iomega external drive I can go into Disk Management and reassign the drive letter back to Y and everything is fine again Sometimes it keeps the Y drive letter for several months at a time But other times the system treats it as a new drive and assigns drive letter J to it--in anywhere from a few days to several months after the previous time As I said it doesn't happen often enough to be a problem but I'm curious as to what causes it Anyone have any insights into this little puzzle

A:Changing External Hard Drive Letter

Look in your registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. That's where drive letter assignments are stored. Find \DosDevices\Y: on the left side and note the data value on the right. The next time it happens, check the same registry location but find \DosDevices\J: and see if the data value is the same as before. Also see if there's still an entry for \DosDevices\Y:.

(Option Two)
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/185199-changing-external-hard-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 56.76%

The HDD on my sisters Averatec 3700 failed recently. She wants to just put in a new one. I've checked Averatecs website and the manual for the 3700 and no where can I on either can I find info on changing this out, let alone how to get to it. I've done some searches on the net, and all the forums I've bumped into so far have just linked to the manual which says nothing. I'm hoping someone here can help, like they always do

Thanks

A:Changing hard drive in Averatec 3700

I've also had to replace a hard drive on this crappy laptop. I finally found a great site with illustrations here:
http://www.larwe.com/technical/av3715-open.html

May the force be with you.

Tyrone

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drive-in-averatec-3700.734829/
Relevancy 56.76%

OK, I've got two identical in every way laptops I'm loading XP-SP2 on. They came with Vista and we're having to go back to XP. Both machines will have SP2 and office 2003 Pro plus other freebie software that doesn't require a key.

I'm about done loading one of the machines completely. I would like to, rather than doing the exact same thing to the other one, just ghost one drive to the other, then replace the XP serial number on machine two with it's own as well as for office. I have a USB adapter so I can connect one laptop hard drive up to machine 1 and gjost. My only issue is what to do about the serials.

Thanks for any ideas you can provide.

Buster

Relevancy 56.76%

I have a 60GB hard drive that has both C and D partition. C drive is full and I want to delete the D drive and use the entire 60Gb for the C drive. Is there a simple way to do this? I am using windows XP home. I went into Disk Management and deleted the D drive but it is still unused space.

Relevancy 56.76%

I have a notebook computer with Win XP and a 20 gig HD. That HD just isn't large enough for my traveling files. I am going to install a larger HD and I was looking for some way to just make a DISK image of the whole thing onto an external drive connected to the notebook through the USB port. I really don't want to start from scratch and reinstall everything. I currently have the main disc partitioned into 3 partitions. C: for the OS, D: for applications, and E: for data. F:, the external drive, is strictly for backup.

If this can be done, how do I do it? Do you know of anywhere I can find a step-by-step plan to do the job I want to do? I am pretty much a dummy on this sort of thing. Any help you can give me on this will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Bob

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drive-on-portable-computer.276867/
Relevancy 56.76%

The Windows quot Disk Management quot utility fulfills some basic partition management functions However it with Hard Drive Changing - Partitions GParted is limited The Open Source GParted is a full featured partition management utility and is easy to use In the following example the Windows partition labled X needed to be expanded Unfortunately as it was the second partition Windows was unable to Hard Drive Partitions - Changing with GParted move the partition to the left and absorb the unallocated space Here step by step is how to use GParted to change the partition size Go to this site and download quot SystemRescueCD quot GParted is one of the programs on the CD After burning the ISO to CD you have a bootable live cd meaning the programs Hard Drive Partitions - Changing with GParted run off of the CD and nothing needs to be installed to the hard drive that you can boot to and run the program You can use Windows to burn the ISO file to CD which will make it bootable Boot to your SystemRescueCD and this is what you should see Press ENTER to boot and continue Press enter to use the default keyboard and continue TYPE startx to open the graphical user interface GParted is the icon next to the start button A single click will start it Right click on the partition you wish to change and select quot Resize Move quot Make changes to the partition with the sliding bars Click the green check mark and verify with quot Apply quot When the process is finished click quot Close quot Exit GParted and Exit the GUI Finally TYPE Ctrl-Alt-Delete to reboot the computer After you reboot into Windows be sure to remove the CD quot checkdisk quot may want to check your file system That is OK let it finish The X partition in this example should now be nearly GB bigger Robert

A:Hard Drive Partitions - Changing with GParted

Nice find on the System Rescue CD.. As a long time Linux user, I have used gparted quite a few times.. A Ubuntu Live cd is always in my toolkit for instances like these...

Another fine tutorial..

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/22723-hard-drive-partitions-changing-gparted.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I installed a used hard drive i bought on ebay that had a xp pro on it. My old hd had the same. After installing the hard drive and turning on compter I got the blue screen with error codes that I checked online, were for driver issues. I tried to boot in safe mode but got blue screen again. I have the needed drivers that I had put on cd a while back. Is there any way to get past the blue screen so I can install the needed drivers for my pc ?
I have a Dell Optiplex 745. Running xp Pro

Relevancy 56.76%

I have a problem to install win 7 after i install new hard drive, I have same problem that describe in this video but this solution does not work for me. any help please

here is link for you tube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkY7Zu9B6JY

A:Unable to install win 7 after changing a hard drive

Those videos are hard to watch

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/374070-unable-install-win-7-after-changing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Ok guys, here is a new one. I have a HP ZE5500 laptop that the hard drive died on. How do I get the case apart to put the new on in that I just bought?? I have taken every screw out that I can find, but still no go. Any help will be appreciated.

A:Changing hard drive in HPze5500 laptop

You can download a maintenance manual from HP:

Download Page

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drive-in-hpze5500-laptop.461536/
Relevancy 56.76%

I am running XP Pro on a rebuilt Dell PIII. The original hard drive is 7G, so I added a 300G slave for storage. My plan now was to change the 300G drive to the Master drive. I reformatted, booted from my XP disc & installed the OS on the "new" 300G drive. Then I switched the jumper & cable so it was in the master position......and nothing.
It starts up, tells me to hit F2 for setup or F1 to continue. When I hit F1, it goes to a blank screen with flashing cursor, but no command line.
What did I do wrong?

Relevancy 56.76%

Hi.. hard drive crashed and need to replace. Will Acer send me a disc so I can load all of the factory drivers back on to my system? Thanksjames

A:Hi... changing my hard drive on a acer 5600U-U13....

Hello, You can buy the factory recovery media (OS+apps+drivers) from your Acer store or download only the drivers for your AIO from the Acer support website according your OS.

http://community.acer.com/t5/All-In-One-PCs/Hi-changing-my-hard-drive-on-a-acer-5600U-U13-Will-acer-send-me/td-p/441003
Relevancy 56.76%

My PC came with a Raid 0 hard drive configuration. I have the main drive (C) cloned to a third drive (F) with Acronis software.
I suspect one of the Raid drives is failing. Realizing all data on the aray will be lost if I lose a drive in the aray, what is my best course of action?

Relevancy 56.76%

the ide cable in my xp computer only has one end on it hooked to my hard drive. a friends computer went caput so my question is--can I just unhook my hard drive and hook my friends hard drive up that came from windows 98 and then save some of his infomation on disks for him, or do I have to do the master, slave thing and hook it in that way, I just want to hook his up to get some info off it and then rehook mine up. Can I do that??

Relevancy 56.76%

Hi.. hard drive crashed and need to replace. Will Acer send me a disc so I can load all of the factory drivers back on to my system? Thanksjames

http://community.acer.com/t5/All-In-One-PCs/Hi-changing-my-hard-drive-on-a-acer-5600U-U13-Will-acer-send-me/td-p/441003/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 56.76%

well ive been having a lot of trouble with norton ghost it doesnt seem to boot right unless i disable all aditional drive HD for upgrade hard Changing System drivers and such but even when Changing System hard drive for HD upgrade i do that i have no place to save the image file for some reason it doesnt let me save it on the nd HD anyways back to the real question i got a new HD because my old one was too small my old one was GB and the new one is GB ive got Win XP on both and pretty much everything on the little one is on the big one too now the only problem is i need to have the little one plugged in because that has the system boot info on it i guess on disk managment it said both are healthy but the GB one is the system disk is there anyway to change that so the GB one is the system disk maybe then i can finally get rid of my old one and put the cover back on and stop messing with it nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

I had all the parts for my computer selected and then I noticed that the MB and the HD might not go together. Im not goog with campat stuff at all Im thinking of building a computer. Could anyone tell me if this Hard Drive will work with this motherboard?

MSI P4N SLI-FI Socket T (LGA 775) ATX Intel Motherboard

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

A:Need help with Hard Drive to Motherboard

Yes, they should work fine. The motherboard has 4 sata ports, and that drive will take one of those ports. The motherboard also should come with the data cable, so you're covered in that area as well. The thing to consider is whether your power supply has a sata power connector, like this.

There are also molex(4pin) to sata adapters, so even if you don't have one, you can get an adapter. Sata drives can sometimes be troublesome to setup, but I doubt you'll have problems with that board, as it's newer and name brand.
Good luck on the system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-hard-drive-to-motherboard.35626/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Dell XPS 4100 running Windows XP Pro with 2 hard drives 1)Western Digital(master) 2)Seagate(slave) both are 80 gig 7200 rpm. The problem I am having is this: When trying to access my Seagate drive a box popped up saying the drive needed to be formatted. It was already formatted to NTFS. When I tried to format another message said it could not be formatted. To make a long story short I somehow eventually was able to format the Seagate drive. Now when I boot up I get a message saying this drive needs to run check disk, which it does and then continues booting. I can write files to the drive but when I try to access them the PC will sometimes freeze. I purchased this drive about 6 months ago because a previous drive went bad. Can my motherboard be the cause of my drive issues? Thank you

A:Bad Motherboard or Hard Drive

Welcome to TechSpot

In PCs anything is possible, but I don't think the mobo causes it.
Rather, check the cables and the jumper-settings on the harddisks.
Those HDs would prefer a 80-wire flat-cable, rather than a 40-wire cable.
Check that the colourcoded connectors correspond to the instructions. Check that the red control-band is on the side of the connector where pin 1 is. Check all power-connectors.
Try another IDE-cable if you have it (or borrow one).
The first (WD) should be set to Master (or Master with Slave present), not to Cable-select. The second (Seagate) should be set to Slave, again not Cable-select.
Check in the BIOS that both HDs are recognised, write down their parameters.

In the Storage & Networking forum is a "sticky", get the HD-util for Seagate from there and run it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bad-motherboard-or-hard-drive.16425/
Relevancy 56.33%

When i went to turn my comp on it wouldnt fully boot up.. all that happend was the fan was running... no beeping or anything.. so i thought it was my power supply so i put a brand new one in and went to turn on the comp and its still doing the same thing.. so now im thinking its either the mobo or hd.. i have no clue how to figure this out so if someone could help me that would be great...

A:Motherboard or hard drive?

I'm having the same reply as you. One thing I hope for me its the motherboard. It suck if it was the HDD. Have so much stuff on the HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-hard-drive.25987/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey guess i drive? motherboard? or hard m new but we ll save that So my laptop compaq presario years old was running very slow and choppy i ended up defrag etc and ended up getting the blue screens of death It was at the point the computer would work for - mins then BSOD SOOO I reformatted totally hard drive? or motherboard? wiped the hard drive etc and did hard drive? or motherboard? a fresh install hard drive? or motherboard? of xp home i was running pro before Anyway that went fine and I thought I was in the clear Next thing I know same thing same BSOD x F x x CDA x CF x C A While this happend for awhile i began to get upset Now the laptop is doing the PXE-E check media cable blah blah Long story short I took it to get serviced they told me nothing was wrong with ram OR the hard drive wow thanks Then out of spite I took it somewhere else the guy there basically just used an HD of his and installed XP and said well it looks like a new HD is what you need Tried that but when I installed it I still couldnt get passed the media cable errors which he didn t even have Yes i ve tried changing boot orders etc Weird thing is sometimes it will load windows othertimes it won t And usually when I try to install windows it says no hard disk found blah blah F to exit Furthermore in bios times it will say NO IDE found for the diagnostic test and only one or two times have I been able to run the test both times giving an error something along the lines of - fail which i m assuming is a problem So with this all said its off warranty what s wrong I need this thing fixed I don t want it to be the hard drive controller nbsp

A:hard drive? or motherboard?

Well, if you replaced the HD and it still doesn't work right..

It could be a bad connection. Does your laptop use some kind of a tray or an adaptor for the hard drive? It may not give good contact. Maybe get another one?

I have also seen a ThinkPad that would lose the HD if you didn't bend the corner of the laptop right. Took it to the repair shop and had them re-solder all the hard drive connectors. Fixed it.

And yes, it could be plain bad HD controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-or-motherboard.76113/
Relevancy 56.33%

My Dell Inspirion 6000 Notebook has the dreaded Blue Screen with c000021a (Fatal System Error) and will not boot to Windows. This has happened numerous times and the problem has been resolved by reloading Windows XP and the drivers and software. The system will work temporarily, but eventually shuts down and returns to the blue screen. It seems Windows XP gets erased every time the system crashes. I'm assuming the problem is either my harddrive or the motherboard. How can I tell which one is causing the problem?

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Latitude 600 and when I turn it on, it may take up to 10 minutes or not at all. It will only stay on about 10 minutes or so then has a message saying preparing standby in order to eject.... The battery died just before this started happening. I have been in contact with Dell support 3 times...one said hard drive dying, another said motherboard, another said power supply...so which is it? I tried to do the test by pressing Fn and the power button but that does not work. I doubt this old thing is worth putting a new motherboard. I was also advised to never try working on a laptop myself..is it really that bad? Thanks

A:motherboard or hard drive?

Try replacing the power adapter first. Does the computer boot normally and are you able to access all of your files and folders. If the hard drive was failing those wouldn't be the symptoms in my opinion. Also go into the control panel and change the power settings to never hibrinate and to go into standby after say 60 minutes of inactivity and turn off hard disks after at least 60 minutes. See if those things help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-hard-drive.54831/
Relevancy 56.33%

The other day we had a storm, the power went out for a few minutes. When I restarted the computer, my hard drive was bare, it wasn't even formated. This has happened when the power goes out (not all the time). What I'm trying to figure out is if it is the motherboard or the hard drive. I have a Western Digital WD1600-JB hard drive and an Abit KV8-MAX3 (VIA K8T800) motherboard.

Thanks,

Ted

A:Motherboard or hard drive?

Replace the hard drive... Then if the problem persists, look at replacing the power supply before going for the motherboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-hard-drive.85421/
Relevancy 56.33%

this all started last saturday I woke up and i was hearing clicking coming from my computer I moved the mouse to get out of the screen saver and it froze up I restarted and windows xp pro wouldn t boot up maybe drive Hard then motherboard? it would just sit at the loading screen and i would watch the little blue thing go from right to left o o after that i restarted and got into safe mode to try and run chkdsk it stoped at and the system started to freeze up but i would move my mouse and move widows around but thats about it from there i rstarted Hard drive then maybe motherboard? again the drive no longer shows up on the ata onboard controller I took the drive to a shop and they ghosted the drive to a new one the guy mentioned that the drive was giving him some trouble and that it was definatly bad Anyway i got the new drive yesterday I plugged it into the same spot and all worked well until i was watching TV on the TV tuner card it started to freeze up again the tv was still playing but i couldn t do anything so i restarted and then couldn t get into windows then the drive didn t show up SO i moved the drive over to the primary IDE controller where i am now in safe mode cause windows xp still wont load this time is seems to hang after i log in and durring quot loading personal settings quot System specs Gigabyte PE Ultra onboard promise ata raid p ghz gb ddr pc radeon pro gb Western Digital hd system drive that originaly screwed up gb Western Digital hd another hard drive for storage gb Maxtor hd more storage x DVD-rom Pioneer DVD-rw all the harddrives are located on the ata onboard controller not using the RAID function the dvd-rom and dvd-rw are on the normal IDE controller Right now i have the two other drives diconected from the ata and also disabled it and have the system disk on the normal ide controller which seems to be working fine except getting into windows the system drive was on it s own cable while the other two shared one Also when the system drive wouldn t show up the other two did those other two drives don t seem to be harmed though My thoughts are part of the ata controller failed while i was sleeping and caused the original gb system drive to fail also Then with this new drive i caught it sooner My concern is that the rest of the motherboard will fail also and i will lose more then just another harddrive if it is the motherboard So here i am to see what you guys think and how i should go about fixing it i think i gave all the info but in this state of tiredness i dunno if you need more details then say so did i mention already that there were no error messages any yea no errors just that the system hung kinda and the drive didn t show up Pwolf nbsp

A:Hard drive then maybe motherboard?

You could have some kind of virus that destroys your hard drives.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-then-maybe-motherboard.242078/
Relevancy 56.33%

I m having trouble with my new system Drive? Hard or Motherboard The system is as follows Asus P N-D nForce i Intel E Core Duo ghz not overclocked gb of Ram x gb XFX nVidia GTX mb Motherboard or Hard Drive? - Latest Drivers Samsung gb SATA HD LG Optical Drive on ATAPI port Corsair w PSU External gb HDD on USB interface Vista x SP w all Updates I m getting these errors in my system log from disk or nvstor The driver detected a controller error on Device Harddisk DR A parity error was detected on Device RaidPort Reset to device Device RaidPort was issued I don t Motherboard or Hard Drive? use a RAID - I m running the Samsung gb drive that came with the system but this sounds like either a bad motherboard or a bad hard drive I m not willing to go out and buy a motherboard and or a hard drive to see if that s the problem so I m hoping you can help Please let me know how we can work this out ASAP I bought a nice new fast gaming PC so I d like to actually play a few games I ve ripped out and reinstalled the nForce drivers several times including using DriverCleaner in Safe Mode to really get rid of them I ve installed the previous version of the nForce drivers I ve disabled command queing and write caching I ve tried another SATA port on the motherboard I ve opened a topic on the iBuyPower forum where I bought the system recently in case there s more info there that might help http www ibuypower com ibpdri tm aspx m I don t want to run out and buy a hard drive in the hopes that that s the problem and I -really- don t want to swap out a motherboard for the same reason I need to nail down what the problem is or if it s just a software issue I somehow can t seem to trace Thanks in advance for any help you can offer nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

My one-year-old out-of-warranty HP Pavillion dv laptop Windows XP Home has been slow or unable to reboot so I m trying to diagnose it and figure out if I just need a new hard drive where can I find instructions on upgrading a hard drive on this laptop or have Motherboard Hard vs. drive to replace the whole laptop with a new Hard drive vs. Motherboard one One of the problems found was the hard drive was in PIO mode so I had to repeatedly switch it back to DMA mode using the DMA-to-PIO registry hack or remounting the hard drive This occurred weekly until I ran SpinRite then it stayed in DMA mode for a month What I think is relevant from my Event Viewer Log include atapi event s The device Device Ide IdePort did not respond within the timeout period atapi event s The driver detected a controller error on Device Ide IdePort a single atapi event The driver has detected that device Device Ide IdePort has old or out-of-date firmware Reduced performance may result I think this may just be a generic message when it gets too many errors cdrom event The device Device CdRom has a bad block disk event An error was detected on device Device Harddisk D during a paging operation disk event The device Device Harddisk D has a bad block ftdisk event The system failed to flush data to the transaction log Corruption may occur Recently the main hard drive went to PIO even though it crashed while trying to Hard drive vs. Motherboard burn a DVD strange huh was unable to reboot until I ran SpinRite The Event Log has a couple strange events Event Type Error Event Source Service Hard drive vs. Motherboard Control Manager The HP Pci Information service failed to start due to the following error The system cannot find the path specified Event Type Error Event Source Service Control Manager The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load PCIIde What is PCIIde and how to I correct this or should I just ignore it My guess is that quot hard drive paging error quot events probably point to a hard drive malfunction but I just want to make sure I m not missing a simple software issue PCIIde or something else easy battery problem Would appreciate opinions on whether you would replace the hard drive or buy a new computer Let me know if posting an entire Event Viewer log would be helpful Thank you so much nbsp

A:Hard drive vs. Motherboard

It could be a bad drive, a bad connection or a bad controller.

Ideally, you would take the drive out of your laptop and test it with the manufacturer diagnostic utility.

In reality, you could just take the drive out, clean the contacts, put it back in and do the diagnostics in this computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-vs-motherboard.71096/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey guys, in couple days im getting a new MB, cpu, ram and case. I was wondering, can i put my old hard drive in, than just install drivers and bios for my new MB?

Relevancy 56.33%

Here im like an amateur Technician I know a BAD MOTHERBOARD!? Bad drive? Hard lot of things although there's something that really questions in my mind These are like the performance of my PC Normally a hard drive can go like mb or more per second copying some files or something like that Installing Black Ops takes less than or minutes Loading a Counter Strike Source game takes around less than minutes or something like Bad Hard drive? BAD MOTHERBOARD!? that For some reason My friend's PC its like fried Back then he told me that its not that slow Of course i can see that it doesn't really seem to be so slow before After doing a format due to some reason that his PC became so slow kinda realized that something weird is happening to his PC Loading a Counter strike game takes like Minutes Installing Black ops took like an hour Loading a Modern Warfare Mission takes like minutes In the middle of battle takes like minutes Frame Rate was really damn smooth but its like when it reloads the sound file it takes like a minute to load it Mid Battle of some game shooting a shotgun one time sounded like BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT then another shoot was normal We did another format but it doesnt seem to budge One time his BIOS is telling him that his hard drive doesnt exist anymore in the system so No boot Next day i opened it and checked the cables and turned it on it now tells me that it does exist So Bad Hard drive or Bad motherboard

A:Bad Hard drive? BAD MOTHERBOARD!?

Have your friend run a diagnostic test on his drive.
It is best to use a diagnostic program from the drive's manufacturer.

However, I have found that Hitachi Drive Fitness Test works on most any hard drive.
Downloads
Use the bootable Linux CD.

If the drive comers out clean, then you can start to suspect the motherboard.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/162945-bad-hard-drive-bad-motherboard.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have just replaced a SATA hard drive that crashed. I booted with the original XP Pro cd and installed . Somehow, the setup named the hd with letter "I" I want to change it back to C. I don't remember it ever asking me what letter to use. Is there a way to change it without reloading XP? I went to disk management, but it wouldn't let me change it because it is the boot drive. Thanks>

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a HP Pavillion ze 4900 that is quite old. Someone just gave it to me because it has needed numerous repairs recently. The HD is bad now also. I just ordered a new one, but need to know how to install it. I can't seem to find it on the HP website.
Thanks, Ruth

A:Solved: changing hard drive in older laptop

1)Go here:

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Look...query=Pavillion+ze+4900&submit.x=7&submit.y=7

2)Select your "notebook" from the list.
3)On the next page select "Manuals".
4)On the next page select the "Maintenance and Service Guide"

Note: The manuals are in pdf format. You will need "acrobat reader" or "foxit reader" to view the manual.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-changing-hard-drive-in-older-laptop.670996/
Relevancy 56.33%

Here's the issue that I've been putting up with for god-knows how long:

I've got this pretty nice laptop, had it for a while now. There's one thing I very much hate about it - when using headphones, there's some kind of a.. noise, that sounds like it's coming from the hard drive. As I click, scroll or move windows around on my screen, the noise changes or disappears. It's been driving me insane and I would love to get rid of it. I am not sure where it's coming from and what causes it, it's been there since I got this laptop. This noise it's there no matter if it's muted or on full volume, with or without the drivers.

Any suggestions are better than no suggestions, feel free to get involved and tell me what you think, thanks

A:Unwanted, Changing Hard Drive Noise When Using Headphones

It's electrical noise that gets amplified by the amplifier. Sensitive and low impedance headphones can easily pick these noises up. Use an external Digital to Analog converter via USB to completely remove those background noises while improving sound quality. The reason it eliminates those noises is because only digital audio is sent to the USB and the sound card is far from the "electromagnetic interference" of GPU, HDD and motherboard. I use Meridian Explorer USB DAC as external sound card for my headphones to remove unwanted electrical noises from the motherboard, GPU and HDD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/350968-unwanted-changing-hard-drive-noise-when-using-headphones.html
Relevancy 55.47%

hello everyone.i bought a dell xps 15 about 2yrs ago. recently the internal hard drive died so i replaced it with a toshiba hard drive.but i cannot reinstall genuine windows 8.it shows error 0x4001100200001005. is there any way to solve this issue? 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19676094
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey everyone,
I tried searched for this but i kept recieving a server error so I decided to just post the question.
I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer and I rearranged my hard drive and got them all in order. On my old copy of Vista my music library was stored on my 1tb hard drive which was like drive L. Now my 1 tb hard drive is under drive D. I backed up everything including my iTunes so now it has all of these song files that it can't find. Is their anyway I can update it so it'll update and use my new drive letter? I don't want to go through and add them all again because then I would have to remake all of my playlists and I don't want to do that. Is their anyway to mass change the library to another drive letter?
Thanks in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/update-itunes-library-after-changing-hard-drive-letter.872814/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, I have all of my movies in a folder on a 1TB WD external hard drive. Each movie is in a folder with a custom icon (ico format). This has always worked well until recently; when the hard drive is turned back on, the icons return back into the default windows folder. In addition to this, the size of the icons usually changes from large to medium, and sometimes even to list form! Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks!

Additional Details:
-folder icons are located within the external hard drive
-running 32 bit vista
-could this possibly be because I have too many folders with different icons??? (there are probably well over 100!

A:[SOLVED] Folder Icons in External Hard drive Keep Changing!

It's often caused by the drive letter changing each time it's plugged in if other USB devices are also being connected in a different order from last time. A different drive letter means the path to the icons folder will be invalid, so Windows is forced to substitute with the standard icons.

Try putting the icons on to an internal hard drive whose drive letter is constant.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-folder-icons-in-external-hard-drive-keep-changing-659975.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello all,

I just got a SATA2 1TB HD but my motherboard (MSI KT3 Ultra I think) only has IDE ports. What's the cheapest solution to link the two but still utilizing SATA2? I could go USB2.0 (solution: external enclosure + USB2.0 PCI card since my MB only supports 1.1) but I would much have the faster connection of SATA2. Also, if I do have to add a SATA2 PCI expansion card, it should recognize the whole TB right? I know in some instances with older MB's, if you plug in a HD it will only register X amount of GB's. Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

A:How to add a SATA2 hard drive to IDE-only motherboard.

Buy a quality sata controller card. Yes, the card should "See" the full size of the drive as long as you read the specs on the card and it says it will recognize drives of that size.

I use and recommend either promise or highpoint controller/raid cards. There are cheaper ones however you get what you pay for.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-add-a-sata2-hard-drive-to-ide-only-motherboard.716132/
Relevancy 55.47%

I just bought the new motherboard with new parts but not hard disk.
I am still using the old IDE Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm hard disk.
After all the connection applied, although the pc has detected the hd, but finally failed to boot in to my windows xp.

Is IDE hard disk cannot be used in new motherboard? My motherboard is MSI-7270 K9N-U.

Thanks.

A:IDE Hard Drive with latest motherboard...

Howdy,

If you put a Hard drive into a new Motherboard with a Operating System on it it will not work unless the motherboard is exactly the same as the one it was formatted on.

You will have to re-install the Operating System while it is on that Motherboard for it to Recognize it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ide-hard-drive-with-latest-motherboard.546780/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi can anyone advise me please with regard to the following epic story I have an Acer Aspir g which new and motherboard windows and hard drive New act... came out of the box with windows vista ultimate bit pre-installed I bought it eight year ago approximately When Microsoft released windows and it was on special offer for the first three or six months can't remember exactly how long I went to CurrysPcWorld and purchased windows Pro whic New motherboard and new hard drive and windows act... cost me pounds sterling In the package was a bit amp a it DVD seeing as my machine is compatible New motherboard and new hard drive and windows act... for installing bit I decided to install bit My original hard drive had three partitions PQService partition whatever that is I don't understand A D partition with windows vista bit which i presume is your recovery partiton and C partition which had windows vista bit installed on it I inserted the bit DVD got into New motherboard and new hard drive and windows act... auto install on the upgrade or custom install I clicked the custom and then I clicked on the D partition and I either deleted it or formatted the D partition and merged it into one with the C partition so that left me with only PQService and a C partion Before I go any further the windows I purchased is not an OEM which I believe is tied to the motherboard you install it to I then did the clean install of windows Pro bit which went ok I then got notificaation to upgrade from Microsoft to windows which I did and was successful I then got notification to upgrade to windows Pro which although Acer didn't do a compatibility for my machine ie no new drivers I installed windows Pro bit and everything ok I also made a USB stick from windows media tool for windows Pro My motherboard malfunctioned so I managed to source a new one and also purchased another hard drive TB as my old one is only GB The shop who are installing my new motherboard and hard drive asked me for the Activation product key for my windows Pro which I gave them Now the technician that is doing the work has told me that he cannot activate my windows Pro which I want to install and then upgrade to amp He has told me that he thinks the windows Pro I purchased is an upgrade only DVD and that he'll have to install windows vista and then install windows As I understand it you can only upgrade from bit to bit on the same windows ie vista to vista So if he says my windows is only an upgrade DVD how has it done a clean install on a reformatted partition I also asked him how come I've installed my windows on many occassions doing a clean install if its only an upgrade DVD he said that it installed and activated because it used some of the windows vista files from my original system but I deleted my original system and or reformatted the partiton and merged it with the C partion I said to him that after he re-installs my windows and activates it with the windows activation key if I have any problems I can just re-install from my windows DVD he said I won't be able to do that and that it would require a Vista installation before i could re-install windows again i'm not a tech by any stretch of the imagination but the windows DVD that I purchased from CurrysPCWorld says on it that it can be used for upgrade It does not say for upgrade only so I presume its a full windows Pro version licence only which I believe is not tied to a motherboard but can only be used on one machine and I believe that if you have problems activating it with your key you can phone Microsoft and get them to activate it online is this correct i would really appreciate as much feedback on this as possible because the shop where my laptop is the owner has told me that i have to buy a new Microsot licence if I want to re-install either windows or windows without having to firat install windows Vista again nbsp Thanks any help nbsp nbsp Johnj

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/New-motherboard-and-new-hard-drive-and-windows-activation-key/td-p/463626
Relevancy 55.47%

I am looking to upgrade my motherboard, but keep my current hard drive and the content on it (due to having alot of programs and software plugins on it). I am running Windows 7 32 bit with and AMD Phenom II x2 CPU. My current motherboard is one I went to when my compaq desktop died a while ago and I wanted to upgrade my operating system and hard drive capacity anyway. So, the first link below is the motherboard I have and the second link is the motherboard I am looking at upgrading to (since the two are somewhat comparable in specs/give or take a few things). Any suggestions or help is welcome. Thanks!

1) My current motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135246

2) Motherboard I am looking to purchase
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

Relevancy 55.47%

My Dell Dimension turns on but the green light does not light up I can hear the fans running I can open and close the dvd and cd parts I can plug in my mp players and charge it but the monitor does not show anything but a black screen Nothing comes up Is my motherboard fried or did I crash my hard drive I dont know what to try my sister gave me the tower from her old compaq presario s wm but it wont work with my dell monitor I also tried and old mv compaq monitor but that didnt work either I thought I could use the old one drive hard fry crash or did my I my motherboard? until i got mine fixed or bought a new one if I cant get mine fixed then can someone offer some advice on how to get the monitor to work with the compaq tower I am on my nephew s laptop and he is staying until tomorrow so after that i wont be back for help so if I disappear its not because I dont care lol thanks so much for any advice nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I recently bought a motherboard memory and processor bundle.

I also bought a hard drive which has 15000 RPM. Only when I received it its not SATA or SCSI but SAS harddrive

Supplied by Misco. Manufacturer is Fugitsu but Toshiba has now taken over that part of their business.

Model MBA3300RC
Can't post a link to the hard drive but google the model and it will come up.

I have then gone to much trouble to source a cable which is a SATA to SAS.
I then connected it to the mother board but the motherboard doesn't recognise it for love or money.

I know the mother board is fine because I tested it with another hard drive.

Do regular PC motherboards capable of supporting SAS hard drives?

Its an ASROCK Motherboard Model H61M-S

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-not-recognizing-sas-hard-drive.169466/
Relevancy 55.47%

I'm thinking about doing a complete upgrade on my computer.

All I really want to save from my original tower is my 128MB of RAM and the processor. My motherboard was the 'onboard' type, so I'll be needing several new parts. I have a Pentium II 400MHz processor that I want to keep. What type of motherboard should I buy (keeping in mind the $$$)? (make personal recommendations). What type of hard-drive (10GB+ of course)?

Also, if someone could point out a good site for rebuilding a PC with my specs, I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah, would anyone know of a good place that I could get a full copy of WIN98 SE for cheap?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Col

Relevancy 55.47%

Just got a new board/memoru/cpu. and our old hard drive does not like it. we get a blue scree...

i know formatting and re-installing xp would be a soulution, but a hassle.

we are looking for a way to avoid formatting.

llemee kno soon
thanks

Relevancy 55.47%

I'm thinking of buying a new hard drive and want to make sure my motherboard will support it.
I have a ECS K7S5A MoBo and I'm looking a buying a :

Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 80GB Hard Drive (Serial ATA II, 7200, 8MB)
Interface: SATA II (Serial ATA II)
Interface Type: Serial ATA - 7 pin
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Cache Size: 8 MB
Maximum Transfer Rate: 3 Gbps
Access Time: 8.8 ms

Any help would be appreciated.
I just don't want to have to return it.

Thanks,

Rob

Relevancy 55.47%

I have just bought a new motherboard/processor and had it put into a new case with a better PSU (given that my older system died recently ).I deliberately didn't get a new hard drive.
I intend to put my old ram and graphics cards on the new motherboard (they are compatible).
My question is - can I simply attach the old hard drive from my older computer with my operating system (XP) and files settings etc and expect there to be no conflicts when it boots up .?

A:Adding old hard drive to new motherboard.

Hi ohisay, and welcome to TSG.

Unless your new motherboard, BIOS and CPU are just about identical drop in replacements for the original parts, you will most likely have problems with hardware driver conflicts and getting Windows XP to run. If your PC came with an OEM version of Windows XP, I believe that the Microsoft license ties it to that that specific motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-old-hard-drive-to-new-motherboard.571400/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a laptop and the motherboard is Dell 0rp6c8
How many internal hard drive can support ?

I used Speccy and it show that it has :
Slot PCI-E x16 "In use" and (5) Slots PCI there are (2) Available
does it mean I still can connect (2) hard drives ?

I would know the way to know that please !

A:How many hard drive can motherboard support ?

On a laptop you can only attach additional harddrives via USB or if you have a PCI-e slot. For the latter you need a PCI-e card - one like these:

Laptop Express Cards - Newegg.com

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/59598-how-many-hard-drive-can-motherboard-support.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I just bought an AMD XP1700 board and a new atx case. In my old machine, I had a 40gb hd for primary, and a 20 gb for a slave. Now, my 40 Gig drive is not being read by the new board. Fdisk won't partition it or format it. I can't install anything on it, and the machine wouldn't boot off of it when I still had my OS on it. My old machine reads it fine, and the new board reads by 20 Gig drive fine. I installed Windows 98se on it, installed partition magic 7.0 and tried to partition the bigger drive from there, but its still not working. HELP!!!!

Relevancy 55.47%

I have an intel CELERON MHZ CPU MB PC MHZ with drive hard problems or motherboard? PIN SDRAM which I bought second hand It has always had problems with sound and video programs when problems with hard drive or motherboard? opening other applications it bogs down and freezes has trouble problems with hard drive or motherboard? reading videos from CDs and takes a long time copying etc the hard drive seems noisier than it should be and grinds a bit now and then It also started having problem with freezing during the memory check when bootingI imagined that the root of the problem would be the hard problems with hard drive or motherboard? drive itself judging by the symptoms To check it out I installed a different hard drive and the computer turned on but would not boot no beeps no nothing at all and the screen remained blank or gave me the quot NO SIGNAL INPUT quot message I tried removing the battery and putting it back in to clear the CMOS but this did not work I put the original hard drive back in and took the same steps again and still nothing I also check the screen and hard drive on another computer They were fine Is it reasonable at this point to imagine the problem may be with the motherboard and not the hard drive thanks babalu nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

I have not been able to resolve a problem which has been affecting my computer for a few weeks now please see below for my system spec -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Symptoms -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- hard drives motherboard, drive, ...is the hard or PSU? the the it a Want challenge? are failing to show in windows plugged in set up computer hangs frequently on the very Want a challenge? ...is it the hard drive, the motherboard, or the PSU? first boot quot push x to enter bios quot screen quot starting windows quot screen while booting can take minutes strange sounds from the hard drives Want a challenge? ...is it the hard drive, the motherboard, or the PSU? when they are trying to load data I had Windows upgraded from vista installed on my GB sata hard drive for about years and everything has worked flawlessly Recently it started to quot choke crawl quot on a pulse every seconds the computer would stop responding for minute and then work normally again I decided to start fresh for the first time in about years and installed Windows bit to my TB drive It has worked flawlessly for about days and now I am beginning to identify the same problems I had when the OS installation on the GB drive started to die slow boot some freezes unable to see hard drives -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cause -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Any of these seem possible Faulty PSU voltages using too many devices without a surge protector I have the computer logitech Z surround sound quot LCD monitor all plugged into the same socket but this has worked flawlessly for years Faulty motherboard sata connections corrupt bios -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Solutions I have tried -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Using a different PSU on my GB OS installation had the same problems Trying different combinations with the cables from my PSU modular when I couldn t get the GB sata drive to boot at all using different sockets in the back of my PSU yielded different results they are labelled V V etc I m not savvy on what it all means though Error checking tool Defragmenting - no effect Maybe I should try another defragmenter Error checking tool - nothing to report -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Remaining solutions -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- upgrade motherboard BIOS try another motherboard i would have to RMA the motherboard for this try my quot faulty quot sata drive in another computer results could be interesting buy a more reliable PSU I use a Jeantech W and used a W arctic when trying to isolate the PSU from the equation maybe BOTH of these are faulty not providing enough juice to power my components note when I tried the W I booted ONLY my GB sata drive and an nvidia GS No x pin GTX no DVD drive no sound card - also this W PSU works fine with it s original computer AMD Dual core gb GS two sata HDD s -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- System Spec -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Q GHZ GIGABYTE EP -DS R GB PC mhz x gb x gb Nvidia GTX mb Asus Xonar DX soundcard Windows x Jeantech W PSU Operating system is on TB drive two TB data drives one GB drive all sata drives -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- History ----------------------------------------------------------------... Read more

A:Want a challenge? ...is it the hard drive, the motherboard, or the PSU?

It could be the PSU beginning to break down, as the different results using different connectors of the power supply certainly raises questions as to the state of it.

However, then seeing the problem persists even when using a different PSU then makes you wonder if the issue is entirely unrelated to the PSU, and in fact something entirely different.

If it was me, and the motherboard was under warranty, my first port of call would be to RMA it, and get a replacement. I highly recommend you stick to Gigabyte, they make outstanding motherboards generally.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-a-challenge-is-it-the-hard-drive-the-motherboard-or-the-psu.161414/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey all I just built the machine below last night and have encountered a problem Connecting Motherboard Hard to Drive I just got a Gigabyte GA- INXP P Titan Motherboard which has IDE connectors of which are RAID I also have an ATA Maxtor hard drive and simply want to connect it on its own to one of the RAID connectors to utilise the ATA capabilities of the Hard Drive as the other IDE connectors on the Motherboard only support up to ATA according to the manual Can this be done The Promise RAID manual only talks of installing Hard Drives on the RAID connectors I have connected the Hard Drive to one of Connecting Hard Drive to Motherboard the RAID connectors - IDE yet when I boot up past the BIOS screen quot Verifying Pool Data quot appears and it just hangs there If I try and install Windows XP the Windows setup tells me that there is no Hard Drive installed yet the Hard Drive appears on boot as quot Maxtor Ultra DMA quot Do I have to change something in the BIOS like the quot RAID Controller Function quot because I changed this from ATA to RAID and back a few times yet still nothing I say all this because in the manual the specifications state that the RAID IDE connectors support quot RAID Ultra ATA EIDE quot Any help much appreciated nbsp

A:Connecting Hard Drive to Motherboard

Did you install the drivers for it? Did you press f6 at the prompt to let XP know you have an extra driver disk?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-hard-drive-to-motherboard.121160/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, I have a 1TB Hard drive in my HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC and I would like to upgrade to a M.2 SSD.  I looked at the service manual here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03943414 Can this really only support 24GB mSATA SSD? Do I have any better options? I checked and I have a hp 1963 (ue31) motherboard. I couldn't find documentation on the motherboard to see if it was compatiable. Can someone help me?Thanks. 

A:Want to upgrade Hard Drive to M.2 SSD. Is my motherboard com...

An M.2 SSD is not compatible with your notebook. There is no M.2 slot on the systemboard to plug it into.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Want-to-upgrade-Hard-Drive-to-M-2-SSD-Is-my-motherboard/td-p/5723309
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

My motherboard is a DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR (details about the SATA-plugs can be seen here), and I'm currently looking for a new hard drive. The one I want to buy is the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, with a capacity of 1,5 TB.

What I'd like to know is whether my motherboard can support a drive of this size?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-my-motherboard-support-a-1-5-tb-hard-drive.963699/
Relevancy 55.47%

Quote from my friends problem recently removed my computer drives - master and slave- when i went on holiday I put the system back in order and recently noticed my slave drive has not shown up in quot My Computer quot list I tried swapping the ribbon cables with no changes So i swapped the position of both drives in case it was the power cable Both are SATA so they use the same power cable But still no changes I removed motherboard or it drive this the of Is which or hard bios , is cause the slave drive F Drive and placed it into an external caddie and booted up It started to install driver for it and is running fine from there So after that i re installed it into the PC and still no change It simply does not exist I have run the boot set up on startup and it is not listed there It is simply a ghost to the PC Any ideas what it could be or how i could sort this issue out Also in hardware profiles under show hidden drives it is listed and clicking this states it is not connected Is there any solution that would help my friend Is it motherboard or hard drive or bios , which is the cause of this solve his problem N B please take that internal hard drive instead of slave

A:Is it motherboard or hard drive or bios , which is the cause of this

Quote:
recently removed my computer drives - master and slave

Both are SATA

There's some confusion from the start. There is no such thing as master and slave with SATA drives! Master and slave drives come from the old technology, EIDE (PATA) drives where you could have two drives attached to one "data" cable and one motherboard connector. With two drives on one data cable, there needed to be a way for the system to keep track of the drives, so one drive was designated as master, the other as slave. And this was determined by a jumper on the back of the drive and where on the cable the drive was connected.

But with SATA drives there is only one drive per data cable. Every drive has it own data cable and motherboard connector. So no master or slave designation is needed.

You can have more than one drive on a power cable with SATA, but that has nothing to do with master and slave - as again, no such thing with SATA drives.

The boot drive is determined by the boot order set in the BIOS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398368-motherboard-hard-drive-bios-cause.html
Relevancy 55.47%

was wondering if it was at all possible to take the e-machines hard drive that has windows XP installed on it and run it on a new motherboard... and it be able to read the drives???

A:Hard Drive with XP to new motherboard/processor.....

you will be able to read the drives but you wont be able to run windows. You will need to reinstall windows on the hard drive after you install it in the new computer. then you will have to activate it also. It is also illegal to move the type of OEM version of WinXP liscensed to be installed on and Emachines computer on any other computer. It is called Piracy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-with-xp-to-new-motherboard-processor.215833/
Relevancy 55.47%

Can't install win 7 stops at starting win insignia. Any Ideas on what the problem. And how to fix.

A:XPS 7100 new motherboard and hard drive

Are you booting to the windows 7 install disk and selecting Custom Install, Drive Options to allow windows to format the new drive? Read this for instructions--
windows.microsoft.com/.../installing-reinstalling-windows

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19669539
Relevancy 55.47%

hey guys unfortunately i can t get the name and model of my mboard but i i have the specs of the current hard drive that s in the machine and that works perfectly i ve never installed a hard drive before could someone tell me how difficult it is thanks Disk Manufacturer Seagate Model ST AS Size GB Firmware Version Serial Number MT P A Interface Serial ATA Standard ATA ATAPI- ATA ATAPI- T D version Transfer Mode Current Max SATA- SATA- Features S M A R T bit LBA NCQ Temperature C F Drive Letter s C E Controller Buffer Size on Drive KB Queue Depth Removable No Cache Enabled Read Write Yes Yes SMART Support Yes Attribute Name Attribute Value Worst Value Threshold Value Raw Data Raw Read Error Rate ED Spin Up Time Start Stop Count Reallocated Sector Count Seek Error Rate E Power On Hours Count C Spin Retry Count A Power Cycle Count C B HDA Temperature C ECC On The Fly Count C drive is my motherboard? with What hard compatible ED Current pending sector count C Off-line uncorrectable sector count C Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate C Multi Zone Error Rate C Data Address Mark Errors CA nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

My desktop computer's motherboard just died (had it confirmed by qualified tech people.) The computer was about four years old. It was a standard machine running XP home.

I am going to put together a new system, but someone mentioned that the new motherboards might not accept my old hard drive as the primary drive, which is a WD 40G drive. I can't believe this is true; won't a new motherboard just recognize it? That would save me the huge hassle of reinstalling everything....(as far as data, etc, I'm well backed-up in any case.)

Can anyone advise me on this?

thanks,
BJ

Relevancy 55.47%

I have a Motherboard that is supposed to be SATA 150 ready. However, the HD I bought is a SATA 300 one. Will the HD work?
Thanks.

A:Hard Drive - Motherboard Compatibility

ftgml said:

I have a Motherboard that is supposed to be SATA 150 ready. However, the HD I bought is a SATA 300 one. Will the HD work?
Thanks.Click to expand...

Will it work, most of the time yes. If the drive is not compatible at a 3Gb. transfer speed you should be able to put a jumper on the drive to limit the transfer rate to 1.5Gb. and it should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-motherboard-compatibility.700046/
Relevancy 55.47%

I Have about a 3+/- year old Compaq
Win XP Home SP1
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Maxtor 40GB Hard drive (original)
MSI motherboard [(new) reason; apon turning on the system would get "System board failure" message nothing else]
The hard drive is seen in the BIOS and in the first post screen but will not boot. I hooked up one of my old hard drives with 98SE on it and booted right up. Slaved the old hard drive off the 98SE hard drive. Both show in BIOS and post but only the 98SE shows in "My Computer"
Have yet to check old motherboard with 98SE hard drive to see if it is bad or the hard drive caused the problem.
What are the chances that the motherboard took out the hard drive or vise versa?
Everything was original before I changed the motherboard.
Thanks in advance for any help.
GrandPops

A:Motherboard/Hard drive problem

It's possible. but more likely that you need to do a repair install so that the old XP system ( I guess? ) can start up on the new board. . . what message do you get when you try to start it?

wrs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-hard-drive-problem.341713/