Windows Support Forum

how to delete C:\documents and settings\user\cookies\index.dat

Q: how to delete C:\documents and settings\user\cookies\index.dat

Hi,

C:\documents and settings\user\cookies\index.dat

I am using windowsXP.
I could not delete the contents of the above file as it says that the file is in use but I did not launch any programs at all. So what must I do to delete the contents of the file index.dat
Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: how to delete C:\documents and settings\user\cookies\index.dat

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 91.59%

not sure what causes this but I have seen it before.

the sys is Windows XP SP3

I had one machine that has gone out on loan during repairs and it now has several orphaned User folders under Documents & Settings, which did not have security set on them, have been emptied, but I would like to cleanup the mess. Logged in as Administrator and in safe mode I cannot delete these. I think this is one of those naming issues where the real name is not what's showing?? something like that.

how do I ditch these? I figure i might could slave it to a Win7 system, take over the files, then delete. that's a lotta work so if there's a quick way, that's better

Relevancy 77.4%

Trying again to post my files using a different computer DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Owner at on Sat Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT - AV VirusScan Enterprise AntiSpyware Enterprise Enabled Outdated A B B- C - -A AB-E DEABF F Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system cisvc auto Re: cookie settings\owner\cookies) (c:\documents and downloads exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files McAfee Common Framework FrameworkService exe C Program Files McAfee VirusScan Enterprise mcshield exe C Program Files McAfee VirusScan Enterprise Re: auto cookie downloads (c:\documents and settings\owner\cookies) vstskmgr exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center SymWSC exe C WINDOWS system sstray exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exe C Program Files eMachines Bay Reader shwiconem exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator AudioCentral RxMon exe C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator AudioCentral Playlist exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C WINDOWS system WDBtnMgr exe C Program Files McAfee VirusScan Enterprise SHSTAT EXE C Program Files McAfee Common Framework UdaterUI exe C Program Files McAfee Common Framework McTray exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Windows Media Player WMPNSCFG exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon Re: auto cookie downloads (c:\documents and settings\owner\cookies) exe C WINDOWS system cidaemon exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HTTPFilter C Program Files McAfee Security Scan SSScheduler exe C Program Files DS Clock dsclock exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files McAfee Security Scan McUicnt exe C Documents and Settings Owner Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www Google com uSearch Bar hxxp www google com ie uSearch Page access less net uWindow Title Access Less mWindow Title Access Less BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer c e -b - bc - - c ca - c program files real realplayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll BHO C C A-E - b - D - CECB - No File BHO scriptproxy db d a - - e -b d- f c - c program files mcafee virusscan enterprise scriptcl dll BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper d - c - abf- ecc- c - c program files common files microsoft shared windows live WindowsLiveLogin dll BHO ST ede -c b - e- - bf af e - c program files msn apps st en-xu stmain dll BHO MSNToolBandBHO bdbd dad-c - a -adc - b b ff d - c program files msn apps msn toolbar msn toolbar en-us msntb dll BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - c program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll BHO FDD B - D - ffb- - B AD ACC - No File TB MSN bdad dad-c - a -adc - b b ff d - c program files msn apps msn toolbar msn toolbar en-us msntb dll EB Real com fe fa -d c- d - fa- c f afe - c windows system Shdocvw dll EB - a - b-a - c a a - No File uRun MsnMsgr quot c program files windows live messenger msnmsgr exe quot background uRun WMPNSCFG c program files windows media player WMPNSCFG exe uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe uRunOnce FlashPlayerUpdate c windows system macromed flash FlashUtil l Plugin exe -update plugin mRun NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE c windows system NvCpl dll NvStartup mRun nwiz nwiz exe install mRun NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE c windows system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit mRun nForce Tray Options sstray exe r m... Read more

A:Re: auto cookie downloads (c:\documents and settings\owner\cookies)

Hello and welcome to TSF. My name is Taylor and I'll be helping you with your fix.

I am currently reviewing your log. Please note that this is under the supervision of an expert analyst, and I will be back with a fix for your problem as soon as possible.

You may wish to subscribe to this thread to get immediate notification of replies as soon as they are posted. To do this click Thread Tools, then click Subscribe to this Thread. Make sure it is set to Instant Notification, then click Subscribe.

Please be patient with me during this time.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/re-auto-cookie-downloads-c-documents-and-settings-owner-cookies-565438.html
Relevancy 75.68%

When I started up it says Win.ini corrupt. Then it starts
up as a new user losing track of Favorites and Start Menu
and Desktop Icons, Display and Folder attributes. Under
Documents and Settings it has added Dave.U5R2D5 in
addition to Dave which still has all the information. I tried
switching the 2 Filenames to get back to what it used to be but
gave an error message and didn't do it and started another new file.
Is there some way to use the old Dave file?

A:Lost settings, New user made in Documents and Settings

Hiya asd123321.

It sounds like you`ve re-installed the system from CD over the top of an existing system, giving you a fresh `Dave`. Have you recently run a repair or indeed, done a clean install ?

As a work-around, can you take the documents & favourites from the old `Dave` and put them in the new `Dave` so at least you`re back up and running again.

Jenny

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-settings-new-user-made-in-documents-and-settings.920132/
Relevancy 73.1%

I am laptop user. About 2hr ago, i login to my lappy and discover that my profile is different. My folders on desktop went missing and some of the setting changed. Then i try on my own to solve it but to no avail. Fortunately i come upon my C:\Documents and Settings and discover that strange profile C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP and my original profile C:\Documents and Settings\p0716499 was still there. This imply that my previous setting and files are still in my laptop. However, I cant changed back to the original profile and struck with the temp profile.
Initially i suspect is registry problem so i DL "UPHClean Service" by miscosoft but to no avail. Now currently i suspect it might be the work of a virus. I need help. Thank anyone who help me in advance.

A:User profile path change to user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP :\Documents and Settings...

This morning when i woke up, i discovered a icon named "syminstallstub" on my desktop. I checked online and i believe that it could be a virus. I try to find ways to uninstall it but to no avail I not sure what did my younger brother do to my laptop. I feel that im damn unlucky and encounter 2 problems in a row. Please help me solve my problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/394384/user-profile-path-change-to-user-profile-path-change-to-cdocuments-and-settingstemp-documents-and-settingstemp/
Relevancy 73.1%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3574 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family, 384 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 238372 MB, Free - 188258 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., Buckeye
Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014, Updated and Enabled
I have 3 email accounts on Comcast, using Mozilla on Windows 7. All of a sudden I can't get into the other 2, not even by typing in the account name & password. It goes right back to the taketime account. I tried to delete history & cookies but it won't do it. What now?

Relevancy 73.1%

In our current environment we are running about 200 VM machines with about 600 different user profiles. Over time these profiles has accumulated a lot of cookies and temp files. I need to find a script or some VM program that I can run about once a month to clean up all the garbage cookies, and temp files in these user profiles. Can and one help me with this.

Thanks
Larry Hines

A:How to delete temp files, and cookies from user profiles

ATF-cleaner or ccleaner will do this job, just google either.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-delete-temp-files-and-cookies-from-user-profiles-499057.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I made a new user account under Windows XP Pro and deleted my old one. Then I saw the old user's folder. I tired to delete it but I couldn't and an error message popped up:

That folder is 3.48 GB heavy and contains over 13000 files.
I also tried to take ownership of that folder. No luck.

So, please, if you know how to solve this problem, let me know.

Me.

A:Documents and Settings\User

Hi

Firstly you can run chkdsk - hopefully that will sort out the strange file name:
To do this go to Start -> Run -> type chkdsk c: /r -> click Ok . When asked if you want to force a dismount say No. When asked to schedule the check at the next startup say Yes. Restart your PC to allow chkdsk to run.

Then you can download Unlocker, save it to your hard drive and install it.
Once installed
-Right click on the User folder
-Select Unlocker
-In the Unlocker screen choose Delete under action
-If any processes are locking the folder select Unlock All, If no locking handles are found press OK

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/documents-and-settings-user-523004.html
Relevancy 71.81%

hello i have windows xp pro and and in Documents and Settings i have account folders and one of them has alot of used space it was another account i forgot the password to and its taking up gbs on my hard drive how do i delete it
can anyone help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-in-documents-and-settings-can-not-delete-an-account.541055/
Relevancy 71.38%

Windows XP. Am sorting out a computer for a friend. Under Control Panel/User Accounts it just shows 1 - his name. However, if I look at C:\Documents and Settings, there are 4 entries:
Administrator, [4MB] All Users, [37MB] Default Users [487KB] and the name of his daughter who used to own the computer [4GB]. Are all these necessary? I tried to change the last one to his name but it told me it was a system file and could not be renamed. I located the profile in the Registry - is it safe to delete the one in his daughter's name?

Thanks

Relevancy 71.38%

I find one user account name called "default user" in C:/documents and settings.

I wonder what it's all about.

A:what is default user in documents and settings

Whenever a new user logs on (the first time), Windows copies the settings from the Default User profile (located at Documents and Settings\Default User) to the newly created user profile. In other words, the Default User profile is as a template which Windows uses in order to initialize new profiles/logins.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/what-is-default-user-in-documents-and-settings-554876.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accessing old User Documents & Settings?

You would have been just fine doing a repair install.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Take Ownership of the folders and files.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=XP+Take+Ownership

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-accessing-old-user-documents-and-settings-93029.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi my name's David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I'd saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In Folder Settings Documents in and User Second fact all my documents and pictures were there However in Documents and Settings there Second User Folder in Documents and Settings now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn't contain any of my documents or settings and I appear Second User Folder in Documents and Settings to be accessing that account instead of my normal user Second User Folder in Documents and Settings account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was 'David' and that took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from 'David' to 'Steve' in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve's Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called 'Steve' and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to 'David' and Windows thinks I am 'David' but I can only log in as 'David DAVID- BA C ' This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won't let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details

A:Second User Folder in Documents and Settings

try creating a new user account and see if you can access that ok, and create a new document (anything will do). If you are ok accessing that, then migrate all your docs over to the new account. Hope the following will give you some idea: How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP

Can you post back and let me know if you are able to create and access a new user account.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings-560918.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,
I reinstalled XP3 on my pc which has a corrupted XP2 preinstalled without formatting the drive. After everything's set I still have my previous user accounts in the C:\Documents and Settings. Please help me erase this as it is eating up the memory.
Thanks a lot.

A:Old user accounts on C:\Documents and Settings!

When you go to Start>Control Panel>User Accounts do you see the old accounts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/old-user-accounts-on-c-documents-and-settings-328680.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I recently replaced my motherboard which because my new one is a different chipset than my old one, required me to repair my windows install. Rather than do that and possibly lose a bunch of stuff in My Documents folder and my extensive Favorites I opted to just do a new install on another partition. So far everything has worked fine but when I tried to get into my old Admin files in my "Documents & Settings" Folder it gave me a red x and said Access Denied.

Anyone know how I get around this and into this folder?

A:Help Accesing Old User Documents & Settings?

Google for "Take Ownership of Files". It's an easy fix.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-accesing-old-user-documents-settings.449685/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi all
I've been installing / uninstalling stuff while testing on a CLEAN install of W7 (x-64).

I see now one of the directories (Documents and settings username1) is now 7GB.

The WHOLE OS only takes around 14 GB .

I can't see what's taking up the space -- is there any nice utility that clearly can show Disk usage in a sort of cloured pie / bar chart etc rather like the nice Linux utility DU. (I've enabled "show hidden files etc").

I'm sure it's all related to me installing / uninstalling stuff but Windows explorer is a HORRIBLE tool for "Cleaning up" disks etc. It's fine for everyday purposes but for this type of stuff it's not the correct tool.

Cheers
jimbo

A:Documents and settings - user user1 7 GB HELP

Hi Jimbo,

Have a look at this TreeSize Free https://www.jam-software.de/customer...80&language=EN

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/10012-documents-settings-user-user1-7-gb-help.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Can anyone explain to me why I have five "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings ? They are "Administrator", "Owner", "All Users", "Default User", and "Administrator+computer name". Under User Accts. in Control Panel, there is only "Owner(computer administrator)" and "Guest(account off)". The first five seem to make Explorer very bloated and confusing to me. Do I really need all five folders and if so what purpose do they serve?
Thanks

A:Why are there so many "user" folders in C:Documents and Settings?

Hello and welcome,

Each one of those folders represents a user on that system. The amount of folders varies due to how many users and what software is using the computer. Windows XP and Vista don't show these accounts in the user accounts section of the control panel without editing the registry. I would leave the accounts on the system for now.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231222/why-are-there-so-many-user-folders-in-cdocuments-and-settings/
Relevancy 71.38%

I had a registry problem in that when I booted up my laptop it said a hive file for the SOFTWARE key was damaged I fixed this by going into recovery console and restoring the registry backup So now Windows starts again and everything is good All of my files are still in tact However my settings are all gone Even though Settings Folders User in and Documents my files are on the hard drive the appearance of everything is as if Windows has just been installed In Documents and Settings the reason is revealed My user folder in there was Jon Jon is still there and Windows says I m logged in as Jon but in the Documents and Settings folder there is a Jon JONSLAPTOP folder and I am assuming Windows loaded with the settings from THAT folder which I User Folders in Documents and Settings assume was created when recovery console fixed the registry hive file My question is is there a quick User Folders in Documents and Settings fix to getting my settings back Can I just copy everything from Jon into Jon JONSLAPTOP and then rename it Jon and delete the other Jon Or are there settings in this new Jon JONSLAPTOP folder that I need to make Windows bootup now Anyone nbsp

A:User Folders in Documents and Settings

Oh, and also, I've noticed, some programs give me a "this action is only valid for products that are currently installed" error message, and I think it's saying that because when said programs were installed, this 'Jon.JONSLAPTOP' folder didn't exist, and therefore that user didn't get privleges to use it. Which still doesn't make sense because XP says I'm still logged in as 'Jon', the same user from before, but using settings I assume from 'Jon.JONSLAPTOP' instead of 'Jon'.

If anyone can help me with this I'd appreciate it. If not I'm gonna format my hard drive tomorrow.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-folders-in-documents-and-settings.312643/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi my name s David I turned on my computer today and found all my settings my desktop icons my favourites my playlists in Media Player etc were all missing All my programs thought I was using them for the first time it was as if I was a new user When I searched for a document I d saved to the desktop I found it in Documents and Settings David In fact all my documents and pictures were there Documents in Settings and Second User Folder However in Documents and Settings there now appears to be a second user folder called David DAVID- BA C that doesn t contain any of my documents or settings and I appear to be accessing that account instead of my normal user account So my computer has created a second rogue account that I am logged in as I tried to Change User but the only option was David and that took me back to the Second User Folder in Documents and Settings David DAVID- BA C desktop I am the only person who uses my computer I tried changing the name of the user account from David to Steve in Control Panel User Accounts This had the affect of changing the name of Documents and Settings David My Documents to Documents and Settings David Steve s Documents However when I tried to change users the only option was called Steve and it took me back to the David DAVID- BA C desktop This means that any changes I make to my user settings the computer applies to David and Windows thinks I am David but I can only log in as David DAVID- BA C This is causing a number of problems for my programs such as Live Messenger which won t let me sign in Please help me I would be happy to supply any futher details nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/second-user-folder-in-documents-and-settings.987887/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello I have HelpAssistant Settings Cannot folder and delete in the Documents a folder called HelpAssistant located in Documents and Settings that appears to be a User Account although I don t believe it is because it is not located Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings in the control Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings panel under user Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings accounts I can delete it manually but upon restart it s back Also it is taking up a lot of space and constantly adding more very quickly Everything in this folder is just copies of everything else in the My Documents folders SuperAntiSpyware Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials have not found anything but upon reading other people s posts and doing an Internet search I truly believe this is some type of virus malware maybe a rootkit Trojan or something like that My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP I do not have the Windows XP CD as this is a Sony Vaio computer and they only give you the package application CDs with the PC Can somebody help me I am not a computer whiz so step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated

A:Cannot delete the HelpAssistant folder in Documents and Settings

I just wanted to inform you that I am posting my problem on another forum. Thank you anyway.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/328333/cannot-delete-the-helpassistant-folder-in-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 71.38%

I have two different users listed under "C:\Documents and Settings", am using one of them, and want to delete the other. The user is not listed as an active user to log on as and the directory will not delete. No matter what I try to do it it says "Access Denied". Any assistance appreciated!

A:Unable to delete a directory under C:\Documents and Settings

If you NTFS
Take ownership of the folder. I'd type it all out for you but it's faster to go to the "Help and Support menu" And search "permissions"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unable-to-delete-a-directory-under-c-documents-and-settings-121663.html
Relevancy 70.95%

I Need Help!
I was wondering if it is a issue to delete files in "Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp". I am really looking if it is safe to delete the "Documents and Settings\Kenny Hartwick\Local Settings\Temp" files.

Thanks!

A:Should I Delete "Documents and Settings\Username/Local Settings\Temp"

I don't know who Kenny Hartwick is, but deleting temp files is NOT a problem. Just get his permission, willya.

:)

edit: if you click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup you'll run a nice little routine that lets you select those, among other, files to remove as well as a file compactor for rarely used files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/should-i-delete-documents-and-settings-username-local-settings-temp-654035.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I m new to XP and this forum and I m struggling with the multiple users environment The background is I got a new PC from DELL with XP pre loaded When prompted to enter names of users I listed four myself my wife and two children A day or so later I decided to alter things to three users deleting one of the children filesin user Spurious settings name and 'documents s accounts and re-naming the Spurious user name filesin 'documents and settings other as Kids Everything is fine on the log in screens - and it all works great BUT when I looked in Documents and Settings I saw the old child s account still listed and a duplicate of my wifes file but with the extension DELL So instead of seeing Kids Sheila Mike along with the all users shared etc etc I get something unexpected Kids Rachel Sheila Sheila DELL Mike It gets more confusing to me at least I ve had to do a couple of system restores problems with old device drivers for old devices and I m now seeing Kids Rachel Sheila Sheila Sheila DEL Sheila DELL Mike Something to do with the restorer I figured but if so why do all the spurious user files contain different sub folders Why are extra files generated for one user only Why is a deleted username still there I d love to get to the bottom of it cos I don t like what I don t understand Also it would make life easier when configuring each users start desktop etc options if I new which file was the real one I ve tried just deleting the weird ones but as you d imagine that just screws up their start menu and desktop etc Any ideas And whilst I m here is there any way to install a program onto a limited users account and no others whilst they are logged on and from within their environment Did I once see a pop up screen allowing me to select a different user and password or was I just wishing one would appear Appreciate any help thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/spurious-user-name-filesin-documents-and-settings.145406/
Relevancy 70.52%

I was forced to reinstall Windows one time, but I didn't wipe out my hard drive. So now I have these files in my C:\Documents and Settings\{old user account name} that I can't seem to get rid of.
Everytime I try to delete the folder or files within the folder, an error message says, "Cannot delete {folder/file name}: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."
This seems strange because my hard drive is only 50% full and the file cannot possibly be in use because it's not affiliated with Windows anymore, since I reinstalled it.
I want to delete it because these files take up hundreds of megabytes and creates fragments in my hard drive.
Help would be appreciated.

A:Deleting old user documents and settings files.

See this KB to Take ownership of the files/folders you want to delete

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/deleting-old-user-documents-and-settings-files-105525.html
Relevancy 70.52%

during startup i get a pop-up displaying message Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\give.exe.

in addition when sutting down, it says end program-sylePromotion.exe,
which then shows the program is not responding.I have to choose End Now
for pc to continue shutdown.

The pc is not connecting to the internet and is becoming very slow. Am i virus infected? have scanned with AVG 9.0 but nothing is found.

can anyone please help?

thanx

DB

A:Windows cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\user\giv.exe

Hello and welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link given below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

Download the tools needed to a flash drive or other removable media, and transfer them to the infected computer, if you don't have access to internet.

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/windows-cannot-find-c-documents-and-settings-user-giv-exe-452348.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I am trying to open a user folder on a backup image I have.

It is an Acronis True Image backup and mounts a virtual drive you can then access.

The error I receive when trying to open the 'user' folder is:

----------------------

G:\Documents and Settings\user is not accessible.

Access Is Denied

----------------------

I have tried to turn of simple file sharing and add my the administrator to the permission but am not able to.

The Add... Button is greyed out.

If i go to the Advanced section and Owner tab.

I receive: You only have permission to view the current owner on user.

The only areas I can edit are the Auditing ones.

Any idea on how I can get access to my files short of re imaging this backup to a disk?

Thanks

Relevancy 70.52%

Alrite ive got an emachines notebook running xp home on it We bought it from best buy and i guess they registered the computer to a valued customer and its really annoying Idk how the user name stuff works but i think a while ago not positive cuz it was like years ago when we first got the computer i changed the admin valued User few a :) and Settings? just Documents questions names? customer name to my name but the my documents folder defaulted to c documents and settings valued customer still i fixed it by making a folder on c with my name and made that folder the target location for the My Documents folder but i was just wondering if there was any way to Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :) get rid of that dumb c documents and settings valued customer folder every time i delete it it comes back and if there was any way that i Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :) could change the computer from being registered to valued customer to me thanks for the help in advance guys nbsp

A:Documents and Settings? User names? just a few questions :)

You'd have to make a new account. Then get on the admin account, change the new account to admin, then get on the new admin account and delete the 'valued customer.'
That should work...
Experience: so so, still learning (i like that)
-blitze

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/documents-and-settings-user-names-just-a-few-questions.389788/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello, one of the user profiles in Windows XP Pro has disappeared. I cannot recover the files because the folder in Documents and Settings has disappeared too. I am running a virus scan now. Any help in how this could have happened?

A:User profile on XP Pro disappeared, folder in Documents and Settings gone

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-profile-on-xp-pro-disappeared-folder-in-documents-and-settings-gone.734092/
Relevancy 69.66%

I want to move my User folder off of the C drive Besides the Administer built-in I am the sole user of the computer I have two methods one is symbolic and_or and Settings? Moving Documents Folder User links one is mirrored links recommended I was wondering what role the folder Documents and Settings has to do It seems to contain identical info as the users files what is the point Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? The questions are Do I need to move both of my User folders one in Users and the other in Documents and Settings Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? Why Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings? is there a Documents and Settings folder anyway and what is it used for I am using a Vortex GB SSD for C drive does that fact impact the move of my User folder Would it be easier just to mover the whole User folder instead of just mine I am the only user of the computer Again will I have to move the Documents and Settings corresponding files Does the drive Users is moved to have to be a Primary Drive or can it be a Logical Anybody have any answers about the Users vs Docs and Settings folders Any tips on moving the users to a larger drive would be appreciated I run all of Adobe Creative Cloud software so Users is getting big Dbellas ASUS P T-v I - CPU GB RAM PNY NVIDIA Quddro GPU Vertex GB SSD - T Segate GB G-TECH RAID EXTERNAL iHAS DVD PIONEER BD-CD - ASUS Q MONITOR WINDOWS x

A:Moving User Folder and_or Documents and Settings?

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.  If you are trying to move these files to another computer why not just clone the operating system with a program like Marcium Reflect.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503499/moving-user-folder-and-or-documents-and-settings/
Relevancy 69.23%

XP HOME SP Following a crash I put in a new hard drive reinstalled Windows re-created the User accounts Well some of that I had help with I made three User accounts and the folders appeared in Documents amp Settings no problems A few weeks later I decided to add another User account The account & Settings XP Documents User put doesn't Solved: folder in account was created successfully but its folder never appeared in Documents amp Settings That was about a month ago and it s just never shown up Solved: XP doesn't put User account folder in Documents & Settings The account itself works fine as far as I know This morning I created a second User account for this person to see if it would place a folder in Docs amp Settings It still didn t Before the crash I had all four people with four separate accounts so having four User accounts has not been a problem previously It s not a reboot issue as I ve rebooted numerous times since creating the person s first account Is there a way to force the User account folder to appear in Documents amp Settings since XP won t place it there automatically Edited to add When reinstalling HD it had to be named quot F quot not quot C quot That didn t affect creating the original three User accounts though so I don t know what to think about that Also no problem with downloading programs it always defaults to the correct location Just thought this might be important AHHH nevermind I figured it out User accounts must first be logged into before the folders appear in Documents amp Settings Apparently he just sat down at someone else s opened desktop doesn t live here and keeps no files here so he didn t care whose IE he was browsing in I guess I did not log into the new account either Anyway - First log into a User account before it shows up in Documents amp Settings nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-doesnt-put-user-account-folder-in-documents-settings.503351/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi I recently repaired an XP Professional installation and now i no longer have the option to login but and windows settings start up at folder documents has no user login has to the old profile just a default profile with admin rights The profile still has its documents and settings folder with everything intact and all programs from the original profile seem to be in program files The user also does not appear in local users and groups I have even been able to move over the application data and open a program which remained authorized and had access to previous presets I also made a new profile and in the registry changed the profile image path to that of the old profiles folder I m not sure why it just seemed important to see the old desktop again which i do but all the paths for the programs or at least most of them are set to quot I quot changing the path to quot C quot worked on some programs anyway i user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder digress what am i missing here am I able to regain the previous access nbsp

A:user has no login at windows start up but has documents and settings folder

If anyone could just point me in the right direction, i'll take it from there but i just dont know where to go from here.
is it a registry problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-has-no-login-at-windows-start-up-but-has-documents-and-settings-folder.1135598/
Relevancy 69.23%

I recently bought new computers a router and networked the home It wasn t easy to changed Settings Documents User Change & name logon match Name but done I have the host computer and my children are each on wireless as clients Both children can access internet but Change Documents & Settings User Name to match changed logon name only can access printer I actually figured out the problem that s huge as Change Documents & Settings User Name to match changed logon name I m a network idiot My son s computer can t use printer is using my old computer with MY name on it I am on the new computer with MY name on it So when he tries to access the printer it doesn t know where to go I have windows xp HOME and from what I see I can t change the name on his computer the folder immediately under documents amp settings I followed instructions to copy from one folder to another ie Mine to his using a rd administrator account I could copy any account but mine Now I need help Can anyone offer any ideas Is there software that can do this I don t even mind changing the name on my present computer but it also is windows xp home I eagerly await your instructions Thank you from all of us nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

Hiya,
Had probs with my PC not booting up so took it to a PC repair shop that found that the part on my hard drive that holds the boot-up info was corrupt, they istalled a new hard drive but managed to keep the old one as a 2nd hard drive as the rest of the data was good on it.
I am now trying to access my files on the old hard drive under documents and settings\user but it wont allow me to access them - how can I access the files? I did set up user accounts on this but they were not password protected...
I'm on XP...
PS I've tried info on here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 but I dont have a 'security' tab once i click on properties....I'm no techy so advice in laymans terms please!!
Ta,
Matti

A:Solved: D:\Documents and Settings\user is not accesible. Access is denied. Help

If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.Click to expand...

Did you follow this step? When you start the computer, and before Windows boots, you need to press F8 and select Safe Mode.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-d-documents-and-settings-user-is-not-accesible-access-is-denied-help.747468/
Relevancy 68.37%

I usually try to fix these things myself but I don t even know where to begin searching on Google I was playing Mass Effect game last night and the nvidia driver crashed second time it s happened overall from this game I closed as many apps as I could then told Windows to reboot On rebooting disk check ran and decided to delete about files it might have done other things not sure When I got back into Windows all my preferences were gone and I realized that a new set of quot Documents and Settings quot files were created called quot Owner MASTRPC quot mastrpc is the name of the computer on my network and wrong Account and to Settings User Documents Solved: folder! pointing even though Windows automatically logs in as quot Owner quot as usual it points to that new folder instead of the usual quot Owner quot folder So basically all my preferences shortcuts and passwords are gone everything looks like a fresh install and there are a ton of other inconveniences Thankfully the files from my Owner account are still on my hard drive I think I need to point Windows to the correct Documents and Settings folder Owner instead of Owner MASTRPC Also a second new account ASP NET was created which I ve Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder! since deleted But now I think that might have been from Windows Update awhile back Not exactly sure what that s for THANK YOU SO MUCH nbsp

A:Solved: User Account pointing to wrong Documents and Settings folder!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-user-account-pointing-to-wrong-documents-and-settings-folder.916231/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi:

My friends computer appears to have gotten a mean virus or spyware. Windows will not successfully start. I removed the drive and set it up as an external drive and scanned it with SuperAntiSpyWare, AVG and MalWarebytes Antimalware. All found some trojans and viruses, apparently removing them all. However, I still cannot access his profile or the administrator profile--all report access denied.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

A:Windows continually restarts/Documents & Settings user profile access denied

Hi:

I also tried booting up with an Ubuntu boot cd and I still couldn't access either the administrator or the user profile. Any ideas?

Tom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/296152/windows-continually-restartsdocuments-settings-user-profile-access-denied/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi sorry to be one of those guys whos first post is one asking for help but here I am so I appreciate any and all help and hope one day I can reciprocate the favor I also havent seen this problem described anywhere else online and thought people may find it fascinating as well When logging into the Primary user with admin privaledges account the desktop no longer has files and icons it used to have and the start menu no longer shows the User XP redirected set empty and documents account of to login settings folders Windows list of dfault or frequently opened programs some programs but not all are also Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders missing from the start menu programs section If I open my documents from the start menu it takes me to an empty folder not even my music or my pictures default folders inside I also have restricted permissions and cannot change any of the folder view options such as show hidden files Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders and folders When examing the Documents and settings folder I found a new folder called quot TEMP quot inside are the standard user account folders application data local settings documents desktop etc these folders now contained whatever I put in the my documents folder or on the desktop The actual user name being logged into still has its folder located in the documents and settings folder and still has its files and folders intact It seems that the login however now has these new TEMP folders associated with it and a scan of Malware bytes has revealed nothing more then an ask com adware toolbar but I believe the virus may have been removed prior to me having the computer in my possesion So is there a way to undo this login redirect or should I just create a new user account and move the files into it Edit more info in the event log is this is event source userenv Event ID Type Error Description Windows cannot load the user s profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system DETAIL - Access is denied Steps I have taken so far ran CHKDSK to automaticaly fix filesystem errors only minor inconsistencies were found like unused index entries Had to set static network ip information to connect to the internet certain windows folders like windows registration had no permissions for administrators or system Edit looks like I have found a solution and its possible that this profile issue was simply a coincidence but this KB article has fixed the issue by changing the profile registry key maybe someone else will find it usefull http support microsoft com kb

A:Windows XP User account login redirected to empty set of documents and settings folders

Welcome aboard Let's see, if we can recover your missing features.Download and run UnHideThen....Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop. * Double-click SecurityCheck.exe * Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box. * A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.=============================================================================Please download MiniToolBox and run it.Checkmark following boxes:Report IE Proxy SettingsList content of HostsList IP configurationList last 10 Event Viewer logList Users, Partitions and Memory sizeClick Go and post the result.=============================================================================Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (aka MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free to your desktop. * Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program. * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish. * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. * Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan. * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results. * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. * Post the log back here.Be sure to restart the computer.The log can also be found here:C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txtOr at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt=============================================================================Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main Mirror
This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped Mirror
This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.
GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.IMPORTANT! If for some reason GMER refuses to run, try again.If it still fails, try to UN-check "Devices" in right pane.If still no joy, try to run it from Safe Mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408043/windows-xp-user-account-login-redirected-to-empty-set-of-documents-and-settings-folders/
Relevancy 65.36%

I just bought a used computer quite new though from a longtime friend who s a tech for a local shop He did a fresh install of XP Pro w SP and it s a very clean system Now it turns out that when he did the install months ago he intended to give this to his father-in-law so therefore named the folder under C Documents amp Settings to Kevin Unfortunately I didn t discover this until after installing several programs and changing preferences and now read that you cannot change or rename this folder which is created at the time of the OS installation I have read that one can copy data from one User Profile to another under Docs Need Delete to Change Settings & User or Folder so I m wondering if I can copy everything from the Kevin folder into my new one which I ve set up with Administrator privileges and then delete Kevin Initially I considered uninstalling everything that was installed today and then reinstall it all again while logged on as me yet that still won t get rid of that stupid Kevin folder Is there seriously no way out of this but to reinstall XP Pro drivers updates and all the rest That means starting over from scratch and I seriously hope that s not the case Thanks edited Need to Change or Delete User Folder under Docs & Settings to correct typo in topic title Queen-Evie

A:Need to Change or Delete User Folder under Docs & Settings

The title is supposed to read, "Need to Change OR Delete User Folder under Docs & Settings," but of course that can't be corrected, apparently. Spotted that right after posting, but can't find any way to change it...oh well.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443069/need-to-change-or-delete-user-folder-under-docs-settings/
Relevancy 65.36%

I just have a quick question. I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3 and I have an admin user profile and also a secondary user profile. A friend of mine a told me to just use the secondary profile all the time accept if you need to install something, that way it's more secure. Not sure how secure it is or if I should keep using my computer this way, but I'd kind of like to just simplify things a bit and delete the secondary profile and just only use the admin profile. Is it possible to save any settings I had on that profile and then just delete that user account?

A:Solved: Possible to delete user account and save settings?

It certainly is more secure to run in a standard user account, you can see this page in the Techguy Library of knowledge for an explanation as to why. I am in a standard account as I write this for that very reason.

However you say you don't like the situation. The answer I'd be considering would be to elevate the standard user, turning it into an admin. That will be quick and migrate everything. Admitidly it could be a little weird if say the standard account were named "standard" but that's quite a minor thing. If you then want to remove the old admin account, don't do it until the new one is safely elevated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-possible-to-delete-user-account-and-save-settings.935930/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi,

I have a user listed in C:\Documents and Settings that is not listed in "user accounts".

If if simply delete it then it comes back later.

The only thing in it is a thunderbird profile which I don't believe is active anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

A:Delete user that's in docs and settings but not in "user accounts".

Does the User Profile show up in System Properties?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/delete-user-thats-in-docs-and-settings-but-not-in-user-accounts-354027.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have scanned several documents to edit and as I am a dummy, they and the messes I made of them are all in the 'My Documents' folder. When I try to delete them, I just get more copies of them. I have a folder full of hundreds of copies of files now and I don't know what to do. I can't figure it out. As my other computer is being worked on I am on this old one and it has, I think Word 97 on it. I have documents still showing when I open Word and this folder jam packed with copies. What do I do?
Help me, please! Thank you in advance.

A:Can't delete Word documents and they keep copying back to My Documents when I delete.

There are utilities that enable this, but unless it has been specifically installed it is not part of Windows.
How many buttons does the mouse have and which button are you using.
When you open My Documents - does it look like the screenshot.

If so, highlight the item with just one left click and then click on delete selected item in left pane. It is not showing on my screenshot but when you do select the item with one left click, then left pane will then include the choice Copy, Move and delete the selected item in separate lines., as well as other choices.

If you do not have this view of My Documents click the Tools tab, click folder options and on the general window click show common taks in folders and then click apply and OK.
The same procedure with delete can be obtained by clicking the File tab, top left and then clicking delete on there.

If you have a three button mouse post back and I will give you further guidance as to what may be the problem.

Make sure you are using left click on the procedure I have described, as right click on the item and then choosing delete may activate the auto move.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-delete-word-documents-and-they-keep-copying-back-to-my-documents-when-i-delete.967697/
Relevancy 63.64%

I am trying to clear files Documents-which remove? &User\My Duplicate User\Documents to in out duplicate files in Windows A scan by Duplicate Cleaner Free shows copies in multiple locations including User Documents and User My Documents Since these are both showing up in this scan I presume they are actually two files not one real file and one link - is this correct If there aren't actually two separate files I don't want to remove the real file If they are actually two separate files I would like to remove one of them and want to know which one I may have confused things by restoring files from a backup program not Windows Backup to My Documents being confused about the difference between User Documents and User My Documents in addition to the Windows quot Library quot called quot Documents quot which by the way points to Duplicate files in User\Documents &User\My Documents-which to remove? quot My Documents quot Not to mention quot Favorites quot I removed the documents link from here as it is confusing enough without it - I think that was quot Documents quot From other threads I understand that My Documents is Duplicate files in User\Documents &User\My Documents-which to remove? not an actual folder but a kind of library which points to the quot Documents quot folder If this is the case why does the scan show two documents How can I be sure what's real and what isn't Thanks

A:Duplicate files in User\Documents &User\My Documents-which to remove?

I have seen many people to brick their system because they removed duplicate files. If you don't know exactly what they are, don't touch them.

And if you want to engage in the adventure, make an image of the C partition first so that you can always backpaddle.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/314903-duplicate-files-user-documents-user-my-documents-remove.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Is there anyway I can access protected user folders on another hardrive without having to log on to that install of Win XP? I know the user names and passwords, but there's NO WAY (don't ask why) for me to log on, so I plugged it into another system as the slave.

A:Accesing user folders in "Documents & Settings"

If you're logged into the PC as "Adminsitrator" you should be able to access everything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accesing-user-folders-in-documents-settings.155975/
Relevancy 62.35%

In my username cookies folder I have 800 cookie files I would like to delete, but also in there is Index dat file and it wont let me delete anything do to something else using it, so how do I move it or go about deleting all those cookies? I have tried safe mode, I also tried a dos cmd prompt I found on the internet but it didn't work either. There are lots of utilities that might work, but it is just one file in the cookie folder. I must not be the only one with this problem. Win XP SP2 All updates, AVG antivirus, Zone Alarm, Cable HS behind a router. TIA Ronnie

A:Cookies/index data file

Download, install, update and run AdAware Se (freeware)After you run it and let it quarantine all the cookies (and whatever other adware it may find, download, install, update and run Spybot Search and Destroy.Let us know the results.*AdAware SE: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/*Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/27706/cookiesindex-data-file/
Relevancy 59.34%

I've been surfing the web for ages and tried many fixes I've been reading including this one to address my specific Documents Index folder Will not the problem Yours is a GREAT tutorial by the way But it does not work for me My problem is that the Vista search box won't find ANY file under my Documents folder I have selected quot index this folder quot under the properties of the folder but it won't work If I go to control panel the only folder that is included is quot Users quot but does this mean quot c users quot or not I have no clue if I try to manually add a folder from this control panel Will not Index the Documents folder indexing window I can not navigate to quot c users my user name documents quot folder because it does not show up as you can see on this screen capture what the hell is going on I am already thinking of reinstalling the whole system but Will not Index the Documents folder I'd like to know how I went into this situation or else I risk doing the same again Thank you a lot to whoever replies

A:Will not Index the Documents folder

Hello Fbernaus, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Since the Documents folder path is not there, use Method Two in this tutorial to check to make sure that the Documents (Personal) folder has the default entry of %USERPROFILE%\Documents in the registry. You can use the download (step 2) for the Documents folder to make it even easier to do.

Afterwards, see if you can add the C:\Users\(user name)\Documents folder to the index, if it is not already added now.

Hope this helps,
Shawn
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/193946-will-not-index-documents-folder.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi, if anyone could help me with this, it would be great!

All of a sudden when I try to open my C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder, it says "access denied"

running xp home sp2.

any suggestions?

oh, I did a google for solutions and various pages often suggested I turn off simple file sharing, but the option is non existant under my file/view menu...

A:Access Denied to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

It sounds to me as though the administrator has made that directory path private. Are you the admin, and if so, are you logged into a user account with admin rights? If all else fails, reboot and log into the Administrator account and go to the control panel/users and change your preferred account status. While you're there, unlock the problem path to allow all users to view.

Good Luck!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/access-denied-to-c-documents-and-settings-all-users-documents-15657.html
Relevancy 58.05%

We are trying to find out if we can use hypelinks in a document, and be able to index the hyperlinked files and also print out the hyperlinked files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-word-print-and-index-hyperlinked-documents.423616/
Relevancy 58.05%

I am running Windows 7 on my notebook, as the owner and admin.....
I try to access this folder, and I cannot...in fact it appears as a shortcut rather than a folder...i have run antivirus, and malware, found nothing....
tried to change the security....all users has rights to it, the admin does not and cannot be changed....any ideas?

A:C:\Documents and Settings\all users\documents DENIED!!!

It looks like one of the junction points that provides some backwards compatibility and which shows when unhiding files in Control Panel>Folder Options>View. There is no Documents and Settings folder in Win7, except as a junction point.

Read more about junction points here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

In Win7 Documents is under All Users>[User Name]>Documents. Perhaps you should hide Hidden and System Files again to see only the WIn7 folders you need.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/218841-c-documents-settings-all-users-documents-denied.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Okay here s the rundown as Solved: Settings" and from User "Documents Folder Missing Folder best as I can remember it Several years ago around if I m approximating I purchased a slew of components and built my first computer from scratch Since that time I have run through four power supplies It seems as though some other component is causing these power supply failures This is not the purpose of this post however but some back story Now I am not the most technically savvy person in the world and after the second failure I took the computer to a quot professional quot While Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder I don t know Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder what he did in its entirety I did notice a change that confused me However as I had decided to be an end user from this point forward and not a techie person I didn t question it Solved: Missing User Folder from "Documents and Settings" Folder The change I could access the user account quot Documents quot folder from the quot My Computer quot window but not from within the quot Documents and Settings quot folder under the root directory In other words if I were to double-click the quot My Computer quot icon I would be given the usual options of hard disk drives and CD drives as well as the quot Shared Documents quot folder and the quot Username Documents quot folder for the user logged in That would by Ahr Neely s Documents for the Ahr Neely user and as there was only every one user created on the computer it was the only documents folder that should have existed However if I were to from the quot My Computer quot window open the C drive and navigate to quot Documents and Settings quot I would only have two options to choose from quot All Users quot and quot Default User quot ghosted as a hidden folder Neither of these folders contain the content and media files that the quot Ahr Neely s Documents quot contain from the quot My Computer quot window On either of my other PCs when venturing into the quot Documents and Settings quot folder I have four folder options listed quot Administrator quot quot All Users quot quot Default User quot ghosted out as a hidden folder and quot Ahr Neely quot the only user created on the PC So it wasn t a problem having the PC set up this way as long as it was running fine However yet again the power supply has taken a dump on me and so I ve had it with this computer Its lasted me several years and I ve decided to purchase a store bought computer building my own was a fun experiment but in the end it didn t yield a cheaper better computer Now that I m moving on I have pulled the old hard drives out of that PC and stuck them in an external enclosure you know its important to keep the old data However I cannot for the life of me find any evidence that the files in the quot Ahr Neely s Documents quot folder which include the My Pictures My Music My Movies or Downloads folders anywhere on this hard drive I have performed several different searches through all folders including hidden files and folders and have come up with nothing So after that long and drawn out explanation I m wondering if anyone has any idea how to track down this elusive folder Is there a way to find it Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you Ahr Neely nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

C:/Documents and Settings/Uses(My Username)/Local Settings/Temp/browserview-1d31630.htm

This file, and all the files with the name 'browserview-xxxxxx(number).htm are needed, mine got corrupted and I accidentally deleted them.

Can someone post these files?

A:C:/Documents and Settings/Uses(My Username)/Local Settings/Temp/browserview-1d31630.h

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-and-settings-uses-my-username-local-settings-temp-browserview-1d31630-h.617172/
Relevancy 57.62%

The older version I have used for years has a straightforward index list of documents. I use the list option instead of icons. All were logically alphabetical, scrolling across. 2007 Office has the most ridiculous mess I could imagine. It clumps together documents that have alike starting names, putting them side by side in columns, rather than one after the other and uneven at that. To quickly scroll and find what I'm looking for makes me dizzy. Is there any way I can change it to a logical alphabetical list, the way every computer system I've used is done?

A:2007 Office Home & Student documents index

Also, I forgot to mention, I put numbers in front of documents that I want to keep at the top of the list for easy access. Files I use most often. Now in the 2007 Office, these numbers aren't under each other. They are scattered. "6." was so far away, I had to scroll to find it.

http://www.vistax64.com/software/176707-2007-office-home-student-documents-index.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a number of technical documents that are currently unwieldy to find things in One solution is to have the network drive indexed but documents several index Create contents from a master pages the of getting that working for a host of people in different locations could be difficult I was instead going to create a master index Create a master index from the contents pages of several documents that pulls just the contents from each of the separate documents into one obviously less functional than searching the entire documents but it should still do Create a master index from the contents pages of several documents the job of allowing people to find important releases I can do this manually and have done but then the Create a master index from the contents pages of several documents formatting is rubbish and there is no way to alter every line across all pages at once Is there a better way of combining the contents pages and if not then is there a good way of formatting quickly I'm thinking of making a python script to do it but if there's another way to do it I'd like to know Master documents don't seem to do what I want

A:Create a master index from the contents pages of several documents

Have you considered a Help Authoring Tool such as RoboHelp or MadCap?

Create a project with each document as a chapter, then index the entire project.

Just a thought.

Regards,
GEWB

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/352221-create-master-index-contents-pages-several-documents.html
Relevancy 57.62%

i cant get rid of the files in C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5....NOTHING ive tried has worked....any information on how i can get rid of them would be GREAT!!

A:C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.

Hi Welcome to TSG!!

If you log on as administrator you should be able to delete everything in the C:\Documents and Settings\owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 folder.

If you sign in as "owner" you should be able to remove everything except index.dat if you close all of your browser windows.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-and-settings-owner-local-settings-temp-temporary-internet-files-content.567350/
Relevancy 57.19%

This has been bugging me for a while it pops up whenever I start the computer. I don't know to much about how to do things so please have some patients with me. If you can help me than I might just love you forever.

A:Error loading C:\Documents and Settings\ Network Service\ Local Settings\ Application Data\ hrcopul.dll

Have you run any scans for infections? I Googled hrcopul.dll, and everything that I found points to a infection.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/201901/error-loading-cdocuments-and-settings-network-service-local-settings-application-data-hrcopuldll/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi there,

After (actually before) some malware attacks and help from nasdaq in this thread, I got an issue in My Computer.
I can't see the "User's Documents" and "Shared Documents" under Files Stored on This Computer.
I looked into almost every solution given on the web and nothing seems to help.

- Windows is clean from malwares etc. See here.
- Tried these:
this workaround:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319825
(actually the same:)
http://tweaks.com/windows/36827/my-documents-folder-missing-in-my-computer/
TweakUI
this whole thread:
http://www.realgeek.com/forums/files-stored-on-this-computer-link-missing-in-my-computer-461762.html

Any ideas?

Thanks.

A:No "User's Documents" and "Shared Documents" under My Computer

Probably (IMO) a case of damaged files.

I would try running the sfc /scannow command.

How To Use SFC Scannow to Repair Windows System Files - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500548/no-users-documents-and-shared-documents-under-my-computer/
Relevancy 56.76%

So I have my entire hard drive backed up to an image file. I had to format and put a new hard drive in my machine. All is fine and dandy, but when I try to access my user's folder in "documents and settings" on the mounted "image" all I get is "access is denied" - anyone know how to fix this, or get around it?

A:Accessing a user's "documents and settings" when it's "protected"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-users-documents-and-settings-when-its-protected.397781/
Relevancy 56.33%

Is it possible to merge 2 Word documents and retain their individual index structures? Basically make a master index or table of contents which should retain the links from the original 2 separate table of contents and link to the corresponding pages without having to make any changes in the final merged document.

A:Solved: Is it possible to merge 2 Word documents and retain their individual index structures

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-is-it-possible-to-merge-2-word-documents-and-retain-their-individual-index-structures.593554/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all, this is my first thread here. May be a little n00bish but here goes.

Ive dealt with almost every problem Ive had with my comp but this one has me stumped. I just tried to install a program and cant because the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder denies me access. I have administrator rights and all that guff and it annoys me horribly the thought I dont have access everywhere on my computer. Ive been though the folder properties and attributes, and cant change much at all. I dont ever remember not having access to this folder before.

Please help...

A:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

The software I am trying to install is genuine. Bought it today. Is a game called fear. What its trying to do is create a profile folder in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents folder I believe but cant because of this access problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/c-documents-and-settings-all-users-documents-109625.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I logged into Windows and found that all of my user settings had been changed back to default. All the files that were in My Documents had been moved to Documents and Settings in C. I moved them back to My Documents and changed my settings back to the way I had them before. While surfing the internet a few minutes later, the system became unresponsive. I restarted the computer and logged in, but now I find that My Documents has completely disappeared. I can't even find my files in Documents and Settings. I had about 35 GB of music, so I hope I didn't just lose it all. Please help!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-documents-is-gone-documents-and-settings-empty-501557.html
Relevancy 55.9%

My girlfriend logs on with her user name Mary at the and and query Documents' 'My 'Documents Settings' XP Pro welcome screen Hers is the only user name shown In Control Panel Windows Accounts she is listed as the only user In Windows Explorer C Documents and Settings there are four folders All Users Config msi empty Default User Ex-husband s name it used to be his computer so somehow he is still around All the user data of my girlfriend is actually saved in folder four Also a At the top of the Windows Explorer tree the My Documents folder points to Ex-husband s My Documents folder b Later in the tree there is another folder called Mary s Documents which also points to Ex-husband s My Documents folder and contains the same files So my questions are 'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query Can I 'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query safely change folder four to my girlfriend s name Should can this be done in Windows Explorer or somewhere else Can should I delete the folder called Mary s Documents which simply reproduces the files in Ex-husband s My Documents Can I safely delete the folders All Users and Default User which do not contain my girlfriend s user data Can I safely delete the empty Config msi folder I would like to keep the My Documents folder which shows at the top of the folder tree as it is convenient for my girlfriend to find 'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query I hope this makes sense Any suggestions much appreciated Swish nbsp

A:'Documents and Settings' and 'My Documents' query

1) I wouldn't, but it can probably be done...it's hard to redirect those stupid Windows links. You could create your own shortcut to "Mary's Documents", copy the contents of the ex-husband's folder to the Mary's documents, then you should be able to delete it.

2) For safety's sake I wouldn't, but you could give it a shot... (or do what I said above)

3)No, they are default folders that WIndows uses for some mysterious purposes.

4)Definitely not!

5)Go to theeldergeek.com to find a registry hack which will let you delete the My Documents folders. Then add the new shortcut above.

Remember, if you delete something you shouldn't have, you can restore it from the recycling bin!:grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/documents-and-settings-and-my-documents-query.15523/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello, I was downloading something and when I thought it was finished downloading and this screen pops up.

"C:\Documents & Settings\Sherry\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\GRG7AN8J\arizup2(1).pdf"
"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.
<OK> box

I see that this is a .pdf file and i'm not sure how to open these. Can someone give me some really really easy details on how to fix or open [download] this problem.

Thanks

A:C:\Documents & Settings\Dave\Local Settings....help!

Install adobe acrobat reader

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-documents-settings-dave-local-settings-help.224123/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a drive that had Vista Home Premium on it amp NTFS as the file Folder for and Security Documents Settings Settings system The drive went bad with over K bad sectors Preformed a hard drive recovery After several days I managed to remap all the bad Security Settings for Documents and Settings Folder sectors so that I could read the drive when booting from a XP boot CD or a UBCD cd Now When I view the drives directory structure I can browse most of what is listed except for the Documents amp Settings folder When I try that one I get the message quot Access Denied quot I tried getting into the properties to see if I can change the properties but the Security tab did not show up I am a lot more familiar with XP than Vista Is there an added security feature Vista has on the Documents amp Setting folder that only Vista can open it I tried using a Vista Recovery disk but it was not able to see the partition Also I am not sure if there are any tools on the disk to recover files from a drive that no longer boots windows Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Peter

A:Security Settings for Documents and Settings Folder

"Access Denied" is a proper and routine message encountered...when moving a hard drive from one system to another. Only impacts the Docs & Settings files/folders, all other files can be easily accessed.So can the Docs & Settings folders, by taking ownership of the files/folders.Taking Ownership in VistaLouis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/361339/security-settings-for-documents-and-settings-folder/
Relevancy 55.47%

I am trying to delete the index dat. file from my wifes hp computer. After wading thru the usual cleaner ads I found a hint or to but not enough of a tech for some answer. I always get help on this site--hopefully you come through again.
Thanks

Relevancy 55.47%

Hello,
Are there any programgs you would recommend to clean or delete the index.dat files?
Thank You

Relevancy 55.47%

I have win xp home and am trying to delete index.dat to "flush" my IE6 cache. When in a command prompt I get denied. Even if I log in as a different user with administrative rights I still have no access. Any suggestion is appreciated. gig7

Relevancy 55.47%

I'm using Win 98 and regularly delete my index.dat files using Spider but I'm concerned that if I have Win XP on my next machine soon that I won't be able to use Spider any more.

I know it can be done manually through DOS in Win 98 but how is it done in Win XP which has no DOS??

Thank you for any help offered.

Relevancy 55.04%

When I open my isp home page the address is preceeded by :
http://wflu.com/passthrough/index.html?
A search bar opens followed by my homepage.
I traced it to
http://lop.com/.................this site gave me a seachbar uninstaller which did not work.
I used Ad-aware,installed IE6 and disabled 3rd party browsers,checked for trojans......nothing.
I changed homepages in internet options but it inserts itself in all of them.
I have W98 SE and run Nortons antivirus and Zone Alarm.
Please help,its driving me nuts.
Fingers crossed here
Moira

A:passthrough index..........delete ??

you should have warned people not to click the link and simply told us what it was. I clicked it to see what you were talking about and got an ad toolbar pop up at the bottom of my screen. No problem to remove I just closed it, then next time I opened a window, there it was. I ran adaware but it didn't find it. I ran Norton WinDoctor and think I got rid of it, there was an activeX command that I deleted and it hasn't poped up since.

Hope that helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/passthrough-index-delete.2179/
Relevancy 54.18%

What's the best way to delete the index.dat files manually? I haven't had much luck with programs like Index.Dat Suite. CCleaner only empties the files. Preferably I would like to delete these files. Is there any way I can do this?

A:How can I delete index.dat files manually?

Not much point since Windows will just create new ones at the next startup.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/how-can-i-delete-index-dat-files-manually-592995.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I've noticed there are several programs out on the web that say they shred the contents of index.dat files to protect your privacy. Are any of these legit? Is there any harm to deleting them?

A:Program to delete index.dat files?

Programs to delete index.dat files

I use iecach2. It removes all iecach files with no problems. I use it with windows98se. It is a java script program.Hope this helps some.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/program-to-delete-index-dat-files.61381/
Relevancy 54.18%

os = windows xp (home, sp3)
Periodically I start the computer in safe mode logging in as the adminstrator and also as the user. I allow hidden files to be seen and then manually clear out all my cookies, temp and temp internet files. However there are some cookies that refuse to go. Typically they are from SB Nation, a sports blogger community. It's a legit site but wanted to know if there is a vulnerablity or why these cookies won't delete. And I don't get the "could not delete because other program is using ...blah,blah,blah" message.

A:can't delete certain cookies

What do you mean by manually? You select cookies files in delete them? Well some cookies are persistent and cannot be deleted this way.The correct way to delete cookies : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835/EN-US/The correct way to clear cache : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835/EN-US/A very good freeware you would like for your tasks : http://www.ccleaner.com/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/291675/cant-delete-certain-cookies/
Relevancy 54.18%

I just ran an ad-ware program and it came up with 71. The only probelm is that they were all cookies should i get rid of them?

A:Should i delete cookies

Hi frankie12

Yes, go ahead and remove any cookies that Adaware finds. They are usually some type of tracking cookie. Just right click on the list and click select all items and click next. You did update when you opened Adaware right?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/12877/should-i-delete-cookies/
Relevancy 54.18%

I am trying to delete all the previous websites i have visited on both ie and foxfire. I am talking about the links that show you what sites have been visited after you start to type in the url address. I know how to delete the search engines, but not the urls. any ideas?
Thanks in advance

A:How Do You Delete Url Cookies?

In IE try Tools>Internet Options>Delete Cookies/Delete Files/Clear History. I'm at work and don't have access to FF and can't recall the extact path, but it will be under options.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/38624/how-do-you-delete-url-cookies/
Relevancy 54.18%

There are two cookies in Can't Delete Cookies my computer that I can t Can't Delete Cookies seem to delete They are email protected txt and email protected txt I move them to the recycle bin and they always immediately reappear in my cookies file They seem to cause a dialog box to open randomly asking me to log onto a site I ve never heard of Can anyone advise me on how to eradicate them I ve followed the instructions on the forum and here is the report from hijackthis log -- Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C WINDOWS aIg exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Documents and Settings Leland Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Google Google Calendar Sync GoogleCalendarSync exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files Evernote Evernote EvernoteClipper exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files GIGABYTE EnergySaver GSvr exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Alcohol Soft Alcohol StarWind StarWindServiceAE exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqbam exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqgpc exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jucheck exe C Documents and Settings Leland Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Leland Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Leland Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Leland Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Leland Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C Documents and Settings Leland Local Settings Application Data Google Google Talk Plugin googletalkplugin exe C Documents and Settings Leland Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome Application chrome exe C WINDOWS system msiexec exe C Program Files Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - URLSearchHook free-downloads net Toolbar - ecdee - d - f-a ff-c a - C Program Files free-downloads net prxtbfre dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Conduit Engine - F B -B - - B- FBA BD D - C Program Files ConduitEngine prxConduitEngine dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLL O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO free-downloads net - ecdee - d - f-a ff-c a - C Program Files free-downloads net prxtbfre dll O - Toolbar free-downloads net Toolbar - ecdee - d - f-a ff-c a - C Program Files free-downloads net prxtbfre dll O - Toolbar Conduit Engine - F B -B - - B- FBA BD D... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-delete-cookies.983993/
Relevancy 54.18%

os = windows xp (home, sp3)
Periodically I start the computer in safe mode logging in as the adminstrator and also as the user. I allow hidden files to be seen and then manually clear out all my cookies, temp and temp internet files. However there are some cookies that refuse to go. Typically they are from SB Nation, a sports blogger community. It's a legit site but wanted to know if there is a vulnerablity or why these cookies won't delete. And I don't get the "could not delete because other program is using ...blah,blah,blah" message. In fact when the Warning "are you sure you wnat to delete these ...." box pops up usually the number of things selected is noted but not in this case....When I hit okay nothing happens.

A:cookies that won't delete

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download linkDouble-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.Click the Empty Selected button.If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select AllClick the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select AllClick the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.Notes: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty Temp, ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".The Prefetch cleaning feature has been disabled for Vista Users. Tabs for applications that are not installed are grayed out.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/291676/cookies-that-wont-delete/
Relevancy 54.18%

I'm using a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

This problem just started. When I try to delete the cookies in my temporary internet files I can delete all the cookies accept one. I'm always left with one cookie. I'm using Norton.

Relevancy 54.18%

i understand the process in 98se, but a friend needs help with xp....can someone point me in the right direction?....

A:how to delete cookies in win xp?

Very simple to delete cookies in XP, Control Panel > Internet Options > General > Temp Internet Files > Delete Cookies. Its funny you asked as I deleted mine today. Have a nice day.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-delete-cookies-in-win-xp.99586/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a Windows Vista.

When I enter Internet options and try to delete my temporary internet files/cookies, some won't delete. I can't get them all to delete. I've even tried using Cleaner version 2.7 and they still don't delete. Can someone please help me?

A:Cookies won't delete

never mind. I got it. Thanks anyway.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cookies-wont-delete-446994.html
Relevancy 54.18%

How does one do this? I have opened up IE followed the proper path: view files, select and delete, but they will not go. I have tried doing this selectiong multiple and single cookies.

A:Cookies which will not delete

Internet Options in Control Panel. General>Delete Cookies.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/cookies-which-will-not-delete-473445.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I'm running a XP machine with IE6 installed. I know how to clear cookies, and temp files, but some addressed refuse to be removed from the address bar. I've run ad-aware and spybot, neither found anything. Tried the program history kill, with no results. Anyone have any ideas?

A:Cookies that won't delete

Try Ccleaner from here: http://www.ccleaner.com/ its proving to be quite a good safe cleaner.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cookies-that-wont-delete.354586/
Relevancy 54.18%

After deleting all my files from the temporary internet files I still have eight files remaining in the folder. No matter what I try, I cannot delete these files. I cannot rename them or even move them to another folder. Does anyone have any ideas?

Relevancy 54.18%

I am trying to access my internet options so I can go in and delete my browser history and delete my cookies. When I click on internet options all it does is blink and will not open.

A:trying to delete cookies

are you using Internet Explorer?

Some cookies will not delete as you have IE open.

Open IE and click tools/internet options/advanced and check box to
empty temp files when IE closes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-delete-cookies.956643/
Relevancy 54.18%

why can't I delete cookies using internet options

A:can't seem to delete cookies

Use another software instead. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/432964/cant-seem-to-delete-cookies/
Relevancy 54.18%

I run Ad Aware on a regular basis , twice a week, & nearly every time, there are a host of items found, mostly Trackers.

If I delete cookies, will this help?. & I understand that IF I do this, there is a downside, which may hamper some operations.

I believe that there are levels of deletion, & I needn't delete all, final question, where do I go to delete, if I want to?

Maurice.

A:Should I delete cookies?

The only downside to deleting cookies is that you'll have to re-enter your username/password for certain sites that require for you to identify (such as TechSpot).

If you use IE, simply go to Tools -> Internet Options & on the 1st box that shows up click "Delete Cookies".

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-delete-cookies.14903/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi I IndexDatSpy check/delete help files to need Using -- index.dat downloaded and ran the program IndexDatSpy and I was hoping someone could help me with my results I currently use Firefox but used IE up until about six months ago IndexDatSpy found index dat files C WINDOWS Application Data Microsoft Internet Explorer UserData index dat URL File that seems to be for windows update size BAD FOOD all size HASH size BLANK all size C WINDOWS Cookies index dat HASH BAD FOOD BLANK all same size as above C WINDOWS History Using IndexDatSpy to check/delete index.dat files -- need help History IE index dat URL files lt my name gt javascript size lt my name gt http www take theweb com pub leeds travman size never visited this site lt my name gt http katandmikeclub com m content view size HASH About BLANK About BAD FOOD Using IndexDatSpy to check/delete index.dat files -- need help C WINDOWS History History IE MSHist index dat NO RECORDS FOUND IN THIS FILE C WINDOWS Temporary Internet Files Content IE index dat About HASH Files all size About BLANK Files all size About BAD FOOD Files all size LEAK Files http forums delphiforums com my-forums Dec http www insound com annex annexradio html July QUESTION Why are there only so few listings that show actual data Shouldn t all the websites I ve visited be listed All of the heads DATA MODIFIED DATE ACCESSED DATE CACHE DIR FILENAME are blank except for the few noted exceptions above Should I delete anything Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks -- bloomcounty nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-indexdatspy-to-check-delete-index-dat-files-need-help.368640/
Relevancy 53.75%

Here`s a prog to try, it`s called delindex, you get it at www.burzurq.com/forum/delindex.htm. It is free, small footprint, and you run it in dos(might look intimidating, but it isn`t). I kept my machine as clean as I could, running all the deltrees, and del temps, etc all the time, but when I ran delindex, I freed up 35mb of space on my hd. After I ran it, went through all my programs to double check if anything was affected, no problem. Neat little program. Be sure to read instructions, it deletes a lot of things some people might not want to delete.

Regards
Mike Peters

Relevancy 53.32%

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and have been using CCleaner to clean up unwanted items, such as cookies, etc. This has been working fine until recently, when, after running the Cleaner, there are always the same fifteen or so cookies shown under "Cookies to Delete" which remain. Can anyone advise me how I can delete these, as there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to do so? Thanks for any help.

A:Can't delete unwanted cookies.

ccleaner tools options advanced, untick the leave files for 24 hours, this will slow your comp down though

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-delete-unwanted-cookies.933069/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi,
New here and not even close to being computer literate; so, please dumb down any answers accordingly....
I have seen many recommendations stating that one should frequently "delete all cookies" and "delete history"
Is this recommended procedure or not and what are the pros and cons ?
My main concern with deleting cookies is that I had a recent episode where something happened to my E-Bay cookies and it caused me to have to log back in everytime I looked at a different page ---- very aggravating to say the least.
Please enlighten me on this cookie business.
Thanks.

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi,
Could you please tell me how to exclude certain sites from having their cookies cleared when I do a cleanup? (e.g.techsupportfurum log-in and password info., google, etc).
I have Int Explorer 6.0, and have been clearing cookies and temp. int. files, for general security reasons, using Tools, Int. Options etc.

Many thanks
Richard

A:Can I delete cookies, but keep selected ones?

tools - properties - internet options - delete files. Then settings and view files and manually exclude the ones you want to keep. ( ctrl+a then keep holding on to ctrl and de-select the ones you want to keep and delete the rest )

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/can-i-delete-cookies-but-keep-selected-ones-94312.html
Relevancy 53.32%

HELLO I apologize if this question ius in the wrong area I’m
new here and have no clue how this works quite yet and know NOTHING about
computers.

Basically I think I want to delete cookies so everytime I open
the firefox browsers it will be free of all cookies or at least the cookies for
1 particular site.

I have a 2006 dell with windows xp and firefox version 5.0
and ie maybe 7.0?

I don’t think I can download anything because I still have
to do some cleaning due to a previous zeroaccessrootkit virus. Most of it is
gone but not all.

I want the computer to work like a library computer or kinko’s
I guess.
Can I make the cookies disappear when I reopen the browser
or do I have to turn off the computer every time.

I looked for the info online and found delete instructions
for every firefox version EXCEPT 5.0.

Thanks

A:how to delete cookies in firefox?

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.
===
Follow the instructions on this Mozilla site to manage you Cookies.
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored

If you need additional help please ask.
---
If you want to check your computer for malware, popups etc... please run the following tools and post the logs.

Please download and run this DDS Scanning Tool. Nothing will be deleted. It will just give me some additional information about your system.

Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available.  Save it to your desktop.

DDS.scr <- not recommended if you use Chrome to download this .scr file. Use the other options.
DDS.pif
DDS.COM

Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. 
A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool.  No input is needed, the scan is running. 
Notepad will open with the results. 
Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. 

Please note:  You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run.

Please just paste the contents of the DDS.txt log in your next post. DO NOT attach the log.

Third party programs if not up to date can be the cause of infiltration an infection.

Please run this security check for my review.

Download Security Check by screen317 from here.
Save it to your Desktop.
Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

===

Search and delete the AdWare, PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) installed on your computer.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.

Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete tab follow the prompts.
A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished.
Please post the content of that log file with your next answer.
You can find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[Rn].txt (n is a number).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/485445/how-to-delete-cookies-in-firefox/
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi all,

Every morning I check my newspaper on the internet.
But for the last 3 days I am unable to see the updated version. The only newspaper I see is the one from 3 days ago. I have noticed the same problem with other websites too.
I have already deleted the Temporary Internet Files/Cookies/History in the Internet Options Dialog, but nothing helps....
What is wrong?

I have Windows 7 Home Basic.

Many thanks,
Christine

A:[SOLVED] Seems I can`t delete cookies

See if IE reset helps - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-seems-i-can-t-delete-cookies-569242.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hello! I know that some cookies are useful, harmless and so on but I want to erase the dangerous ones. How to do that? Firefox doesn't help me much, most of my cookies still remain on my comp.

tnx for any suggestion and help,

A:How to delete internet cookies??

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623/
This will remove LSO and DOM super cookies

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/279613-how-delete-internet-cookies.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I have NOD32 and it seems to do a good job of keeping me free of spyware and viruses. In fact when I run my other spyware programs they find nothing except cookies and MRU lists (not sure what these are but I know that are not dangerous).

My question is this: Can I set NOD32 to track and delete these same cookies and MRU things that the Ad-Aware is finding so I can get rid of Ad-aware and maybe even Spyware Terminator?

Any thought will be appreciated.