Windows Support Forum

SMART status and SMART Short Self Test Failed

Q: SMART status and SMART Short Self Test Failed

Lenovo Solutions Center on my Thinkpad Yoga 14 displays: SMART Status Test FailedSMART Short Self Test FailedResult code: WHD01F001-WL7Z9L Please help.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/SMART-status-and-SMART-Short-Self-Test-Failed/td-p/3330413
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: SMART status and SMART Short Self Test Failed

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 103.85%

Hi,

I recently ran a scheduled diagnostic test of my PC with the manufacturer's diagnostic software. I received two error messages and the advice to promptly replace my hard drive. The first message was Failed (Error code: WHD20-1VR) and the second was Failed (Error code: WHD16-T57). The apply to Targeted Read test and Smart Short Self Test respectively.

So I ran Chkdsk for the C: drive and received no error messages.

Which is correct and what should I do about it? The error message won't go away on the software.

Thanks for helping.

A:Question: Failed Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test

CHKDSK is a very basic check that mostly checks file system and can be set to scan for bad sectors. The manufacturer's diagnostics actually check the physical drive to make sure its operating within the designed parameters and is more thorough.

You should replace the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-failed-targeted-read-test-and-smart-short-self-test.1003278/
Relevancy 103.85%

My Computer:   Compaq Presario Product name AY03011-ABL  CQ5320F  Error Message The device reported the following status: The previous self test completed having read the element of the test fail- 22/04/2012, 10:26:30 AMError Message The first failing LBA value is 16512590 and the failure occurred after the device had been operating power on hours. 22/04/2012, 10:26:30 AM Computer is aproximately 2 years old.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Smart Short Test Failed

Time to replace the hard drive. You can use a retail SATA hdd to replace the 500GB hdd you have. Hope you have burned your Recovery Disk set?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Smart-Short-Test-Failed/td-p/1442349
Relevancy 103.85%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4863 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 598735 MB, Free - 178093 MB; D: Total - 11641 MB, Free - 1418 MB;
Motherboard: FOXCONN, 2AA9
Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled
On my weekly Hardware Diagnostic Tool run I got the following. SMART Short Self Test Failed.
I ran my Disk Check Utility and it said all is well. Anyone have any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/smart-short-test-failed.1102470/
Relevancy 103.85%

Running Hardware Diagnostic Maintence and it is telling me that the SMART Short Test Failed what does this mean and how do I fix it

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/SMART-Short-Test-Failed/td-p/5790955
Relevancy 102.61%

Model Name p6367c
Product Number AY691AA-ABA
Serial Number (removed content)

HARDWARE Diagnostic Tools 6.0.5247.34
HARDWARE Diagnostic Tools- Scheduled Maintenance
WDC WD10EADS-65M2B0 ATA Device (TurboPC EX)

SMART Short Self Test - Failed HD521-2W

Please recommend best solution: Clone and replace WD Hard Drive?  If so, what is recommended WD replacement model?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

A:SMART Short Self Test - Failed HD521-2W

> Clone and replace WD Hard Drive?  If so, what is recommended WD replacement model? Your current disk-drive is 1000 GB.  So, any 1000 GB or 2000 GB drive will work, without any worries.Anything larger might have an issue, if the motherboard is "older". Note that WD offers a download of free "disk-cloning" software, as long as either the "source" or the "target" disk-drive was manufactured by WD. How "full" is your current drive?  Buy a new hard-drive, and backup all your data/files/music/pictures/bookmarks to it,while your current disk-drive is still working OK.  Or, "clone" your current disk-drive to the new drive. If the disk-drive is still under warranty from WD, WD will replace it.  You might have to pay for shipping it to WD. If the disk-drive is out-of-warranty, WD sometimes has a "customer loyalty" program.You tell WD the serial-number of the drive, and you get a discount on theh purchase of a new disk-drive from WD's online-store, and you don't have to return your current disk-drive. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/SMART-Short-Self-Test-Failed-HD521-2W/td-p/5828335
Relevancy 102.61%

I just ran the my dell thing on my brothers laptop and everything passed accept the HD smart short self test his computer has two hard drives a GB Samsung SSD mSATA and a TB Western Digital which is what has the failure Vendor Western Digital Model Number WDC WD JPVT- A YT Serial Number WXT CC Firmware Revision A Short failed HD Solved: Self Smart Test Size GB Rotation Rate RPM Cache Size MB Temperature C Physical Sector Size KB Logical Sector Size B Logical Sector Count Supported Standards ATA -ACS ATA ATAPI- ATA ATAPI- ATA ATAPI- SMART Short Self Test Test Started - PM Error Message - PM The device reported the following status The previous self-test completed having the read element of the test failed Error Message - PM The first failing LBA value is and the failure occurred after the device had been operating for power-on hours Test Finished - PM Failed Error code WHD -MYV so any ideas what this could be this is the first time this scan was ever run so not really sure if this has been a problem before Also I will upload the full report but this was the only problem it detected here is Solved: HD Smart Short Self Test failed his laptop specs Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - QM CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics - Mb Also his laptop has this DirectX version GPU processor GeForce GT M Driver version Direct D API version Direct D feature level CUDA Cores Core clock MHz Memory data rate MHz Memory interface -bit Memory bandwidth GB s Total available graphics memory MB Dedicated video memory MB GDDR System video memory MB Shared system memory MB Video BIOS version C IRQ Bus PCI Express x Gen Device Id DE FD F Part Number Thanks Edit I also restarted the PC and hit F and went to diagnostics and ran a test that way and everything passed accept DST short Test on the same hard drive and it popped up with error code - validation nbsp

Relevancy 99.82%

Hi everyone. anyone has any idea why smart status test fails on my Y510P machine running Windows 10 ?  I also get  SATA SSD on controller 0, port 4 at risk: SMART Event error on the Intel Rapid storage technology program. ??   

A:SSD Smart status test failed! Result Code: WHD00F...

I don't trust any SSDs to report SMART status correctly.  I suggest getting a copy of Crystal Disk Info (free) and see what it says.  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/SSD-Smart-status-test-failed-Result-Code-WHD00F001-DL7W6G/td-p/3480456
Relevancy 89.9%

smart drive short test passes while smart drive self test returns cannot perform self test gives error code WHD01V000-WJKBBE

A:smart drive short test passes while smart drive se...

Hi Jefferylhenry,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

As per your query we understood that you are facing issue with HDD drive on ThinkPad system.
Please download HD tune application and run the application and click on Health, this will start the HDD test and confirms if there is any issue in the drive. You can take necessary action depending upon the result.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/smart-drive-short-test-passes-while-smart-drive-self-test/td-p/1624494
Relevancy 89.9%

My lenovo think pad x220 with windows 10 64 bit passes the hardware scan but indicates a warning on the Smart Drive Self Test.  The short test passes. Diagnostics
SMART Status Test Passed
Targeted Read Test Passed
Random Seek Test Passed
Funnel Seek Test Passed
SMART Short Self Test Passed
SMART Drive Self Test Warning

Result Code: WHD01V000-WLKZBF

Storage devicesWhat should I do about this?  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Smart-Drive-Short-Self-Test-Passes-Smart-Drive-Self-Test-Warning/td-p/3326192
Relevancy 88.35%

I ran the hardware test this morning and everything passed but the SMART short self test. It failed and gave me this code. WHD01V00G-BK7W0J It says to send to Lenovo but I don't know where. I also can't add my laptop to my products on my account. I keep getting a message #WL Service Busy #   What do I do?

A:Hardware test shows SMART short self test failure.

hi Smurfette,

Welcome to the Forums.

The image below is the breakdown on how the LSC error codes mean.
  - Link to picture

The SMART short self-test that failed may have detected some certain sectors on the drive that are bad and predicted an imminent HDD failure so I would recommend you contact the lenovo helpdesk and report your findings as you likely need to send the unit for service.

If you're in the US, this is the number to call:

Phone Number: 1-877-4-Lenovo (1-877-453-6686)
upported Language: EnglishHours of operation: 24 hours/day 7 days/week

Support phone list

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-C-E-K-M-N-and-V-Series/Hardware-test-shows-SMART-short-self-test-failure/td-p/2203055
Relevancy 88.35%

hineed help.....After running LSC hardware scan, both targeted read test and smart short self test failed witherror code: WHD01V00I-UL7BBJDevice: WDC WD10JPCX-24UE4T0-931.51 GBsby the way my lappy is LENOVO G50 with windows10 inbuilt.I've seen similar messages and most of them recommend for replacement... Do I really have to do that...Please help me out 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/targeted-read-test-and-smart-short-self-test-failing/td-p/3366109
Relevancy 87.73%

hi
need help.....
After running LSC hardware scan, both targeted read test and smart short self test failed with
error code: WHD01V00I-UL7BBJ
Device: WDC WD10JPCX-24UE4T0-931.51 GBs
by the way my lappy is LENOVO G50 with windows10 inbuilt.
I've seen similar messages and most of them recommend for replacement... Do I really have to do that...
Please help me out

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

A:G50 - targeted read test and smart short self test...

Hi there, Naveen-
Thank you for writing in to the Lenovo Forum - happy to have you here today.

The SMART Self-Test Unit means that the diagnostic utility failed to read some certain sectors on the drive and predicted an imminent HDD failure.

If with the test you did you are getting a SMART test or a smart short test failure then I believe you need to back up your data and be ready to replace the drive.

I recommend you contact Lenovo support and report your findings as you likely need to send the unit for service.

Update us how it goes.

Regards,

Tap that kudos button if I helped  If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/G50-targeted-read-test-and-smart-short-self-test-failing/td-p/3366109
Relevancy 87.42%

HelloBefore replacing my harddisc, I'd like to know what this error means, exactly, I'd like some technical information. SAMSUNG MZ7TD128HAFV-000L1 - 119.24 GBs WHD00V000-UL7BYH -Simon K

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/SMART-Short-Self-Test/td-p/3371422
Relevancy 86.49%

i faced this error when i ran the diagnostic on my lappy.
can anyone tell me what it is??
how can it be solved?? 

A:smart short self test WHD16-0WV

Run the 32-bit diagnostics on the system (F12 a few times at powerup to get to them).  Please post any error messages you see, along with the full system model (i.e., Inspiron N5110, 5531, etc.).

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984120
Relevancy 86.49%

Hi all,

I got my Compaq computer just 1 year ago. Recently, the monthly maintenence test ran and SMART Short Self Test failed(Failed (Error code: HD521-2W). What does this mean? I went online and many posts said that it meant my Hard drive is dying. Is that true? Are there no other ways to solve this problem except replace my HDD?
Regards,

tnbrendan

Relevancy 86.49%

I ran Dell's PC Checkup and it failed on the SMART Short Self Test. From what I get this basically means my hard drive is going to fail any time, true? When I get a new hard drive can I use the Windows 7 code that's on my computer or will I have to re-buy Windows 7? Are there any tutorials for replacing the main hard drive? Thanks

A:SMART Short Self Test Fail

Well the drive may fail sooner or later but its a good idea to get another. Yes, you can use the key on the sticker on the computer to activate windows. Better still, while the current drive is still alive, just save an image of the windows install using Macrium free or Acronis to an external drive, then you can just restore to the new drive- you wont even need to use the sticker code.

Imaging with free Macrium

Heres how to replace your hard drive:

Documentation

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/148900-smart-short-self-test-fail.html
Relevancy 86.49%

Here is the message I am getting after running the lenovo solutions diagnostic  WHD01V000-UJ7WQFWhat does this mean?My computer is a week old, got it off ebay, new, but had been set up already.  It has been running quite slow, when I open 20 tabs in firefox it will glitch and sometimes freeze, sometimes I can't access my files, it just says file explorer on the top and displays nothing and I can't close them.  It has 6gb ram and a core i5, e431 model, so it shouldnt be running so slow and this diagnostic worries me.  I called Lenovo before running the diagnostic and they said it could be a hard drive failure.  Anyone know this error message?

A:SMART short self-test Warning???

Hi,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

If the result of "SMART short self-test" returns an error code, the hard drive has indeed failed or is about to. Then you may want to do a repair or have a new hard disk.

Take a backup of all your data while the hard drive can still be accessed and contact Lenovo Technical support if you are under warranty.

Click here to open a link where you can select the country and get the exact contact support number. I?m sure they will be a great help.

Best Regards,
Mithun.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/SMART-short-self-test-Warning/td-p/1424941
Relevancy 86.49%

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T420 with a HDD Since I got upgraded to windows 10 unknowingly by MS , I kept on declining the request to upgrade from windows 7 but one day  it just started upgrading whilst I was away from the laptop, I've started occasionally hitting the error "2100: Detection error on HDD0" So I thought best to do a disk scan and have hit the warnings below on the SMART test. It went through 80% of the SMART test  quickly i.e. 2-3 minutes and then hung on the last 20% ....... shud I b worried ? Lenovo Diagnostics - Log5/30/2016 21:33:54 - SMART Status TestPassed (0.16s)5/30/2016 21:33:54 - Targeted Read TestPassed (1.16s)5/30/2016 21:33:55 - Random Seek TestPassed (89.64s)5/30/2016 21:35:25 - Funnel Seek TestPassed (74.27s)5/30/2016 21:36:39 - SMART Short Self Test5/30/2016 21:46:40 - Critical: Test has timed out: 600 s Warning (600.92s)5/30/2016 21:46:40 - SMART Drive Self Test5/30/2016 21:56:41 - Critical: Test has timed out: 600 s Warning (600.86s) 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/SMART-Short-Self-Test-Warning/td-p/3339117
Relevancy 85.87%

Smart Self Drive Test, Smart Short Drive Test and Targeted Read Test All the above options keep coming up with the status option of a red cross after I have carried out a hardware scan, can you tell what I have to do to correct this.  I have a Desktop H520s.  It is out of warranty.

A:Smart Self Drive Test, Smart Short Drive Test and ...

Hi whitedesire , 

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Best that you back up all your files are the harddrive would soon fail.
SMART test are harddrive integrity test that pre warns before it crashes and that you may need to change the harddrive very soon.  You may need to create your installer media too. 

Hope this help answer your query.

Regards

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-E-H-K-M-Q-Y-and-ErazerX/Smart-Self-Drive-Test-Smart-Short-Drive-Test-and-Targeted-Read/td-p/3463478
Relevancy 84.63%

Lenovo Edge Windows bit OSIntel Core i - U CPU GHz GHz nbsp Today my laptop seemed to be running slowly for a period of about thirty minutes It did not freeze but it did hang several times during simple tasks opening Microsoft Word minimizing browser I downloaded Lenovo Solution Center and ran the diagnostic Everything checks out except SMART Short Self Test which recieved a Warning nbsp Worried that this might indicate an HDD problem I ran HD Tune free version which returned the following information nbsp HD Tune WDC WD SPCX- HWST HealthID Current Worst ThresholdData Status Raw Read Error Rate Ok Spin Up Time Ok Start Stop Count Ok Reallocated Sector Count Ok Seek Error Rate Ok Power On Hours Count Ok A Spin Retry Count Ok B Calibration Retry Count Ok C Power Cycle Count 15 short Edge test Lenovo warning SMART self on Ok C Power Off Retract Count Ok C Load Cycle Count Ok C Temperature Ok C Reallocated Event Count Ok C Current Pending Sector Ok C Offline Uncorrectable Ok C Ultra DMA SMART short self test warning on Lenovo Edge 15 CRC Error Count Ok C Write Error Rate Ok F Head Flying Hours OkPower On Time Health Status Ok nbsp An HD tune quick scan for errors also gave a ok result nbsp Is there another way to check the health of the hard drive I have SMART short self test warning on Lenovo Edge 15 read that the Lenovo Solution Center diagnostic can be unreliable nbsp nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/SMART-short-self-test-warning-on-Lenovo-Edge-15/td-p/3445985
Relevancy 84.63%

Lenovo Edge Windows bit OSIntel Core i - U CPU GHz GHz nbsp Today my laptop seemed to be running slowly for a period of about thirty minutes It did not freeze but it did hang several times during simple tasks opening Microsoft Word minimizing browser I downloaded Lenovo Solution Center and ran the diagnostic Everything checks out except SMART Short Self Test which recieved a Warning nbsp warning test SMART short on self Lenovo 15 Edge Worried that this might indicate an HDD problem I ran HD Tune free version which returned the following information nbsp HD Tune WDC WD SPCX- HWST HealthID Current Worst ThresholdData Status Raw Read Error Rate Ok Spin Up Time Ok Start Stop Count Ok Reallocated Sector Count Ok Seek Error Rate Ok Power SMART short self test warning on Lenovo Edge 15 On Hours Count Ok A Spin Retry Count Ok B Calibration Retry Count Ok C Power Cycle Count Ok C Power Off Retract Count Ok C Load Cycle Count Ok C Temperature Ok C Reallocated Event Count Ok C Current Pending Sector Ok C Offline Uncorrectable Ok C Ultra DMA CRC Error Count Ok C Write Error Rate Ok F Head Flying Hours OkPower On Time Health Status Ok nbsp An HD tune quick scan for errors also gave a ok result nbsp Is there another way to check the health of the hard drive I have read that the Lenovo Solution Center diagnostic can be unreliable nbsp nbsp

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-11e-Windows-E-and-Edge/SMART-short-self-test-warning-on-Lenovo-Edge-15/td-p/3445985
Relevancy 84.63%

Hello everyone, About a month and a half ago, I've bought the mentioned laptop. During the first week of using it, I've noticed that somehing is wrong, so I ran some tests in Lenovo Solution Center. HDD had faild it, so I've contacted your service immidiately, and they replaced it with a new HDD.  The laptop was in service for like 27 days, and when I got it, I had a problem booting up a system... When it finally started to work I couldn't download and install drivers normally, it stared to freeze, aborted the actions etc. Like the last time, I managed to download Lenovo Soultion Center and ran the tests, again. The result of the test was Warning for SMART Short Self Test and SMART Drive Self test. Can you somehow advise me what to do? Thanks in advance.  Result code: WHD01V000-HL0Y9G

A:Lenovo Y50-70 SMART Short and Drive Self Test Warn...

Hi Dakilajk , 

It would be best to contact tech support for the recommendation and decode of WHD01V000-HL0Y9G , 
and since you are experiencing freezing at this moment , back up your files as needed . 

You may also run counter scan using similar diagnostic software as this to check further and verify the detected imminent drive read failure . SMART test are pre detection software to alert users to back up their files if the integrity test falls its set standard each different from different harddrive manufacturers ( example seagate , Western Digital etc.) . 

LSC may be a bit sensitive to its SMART detection but then if you are having freezing issue , most likely it is doing its job as expected. 

Serbian  8:00-16:00 Monday - Friday381-21-489-1533 (Belgrade)

Update us here on the community forums on how things would go.

Regards

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Lenovo-Y50-70-SMART-Short-and-Drive-Self-Test-Warning/td-p/3306683
Relevancy 82.15%

Also, says Boot Device Not FoundPlease install an operating system on your hard drive disk.Hard Disk (3FO)F2 Systems Diagnostics

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Smart-check-PASSED-Short-DST-FAILED-Now-what/td-p/5769889
Relevancy 82.15%

Hi folks Short SMART Load Windows Failed, Self Won't 7 - It must be true that when it rains it pours I had a little malware problem with a laptop the other day Now I've got another problem on an entirely different machine I have a Compaq Presario CQ Y desktop that has been acting wonky the SMART Short Self Failed, Windows 7 Won't Load past few weeks I first noticed the machine was running pretty slowly SMART Short Self Failed, Windows 7 Won't Load and was periodically kicking out messages that applications needed to be shut down because there wasn't enough memory to run them The machine has only GB but it's really only used for surfing the Internet I ran the HP Compaq hardware diagnostic tools and it came up with a fail on the SMART Short Self Test I rebooted and was able to get into the OS just fine A couple of days later I ran the diagnostic tools again and the SMART Short Self Test passed So I didn't think too much about it A few days later I had trouble starting Windows got a message saying Windows is unable to start So I ran Startup Repair and was able to get into the OS I immediately started thinking maybe it was a virus malware so ran a bunch of scans with Avast pro version Malewarebyte's Anti-Malware rootkill and a few others Stuff was detected but the programs were able to remove the malware virus This morning however I can't get into Windows at all When I tried System Restore I got a brief message about the D drive being corrupt Startup Repair can't fix the problem and keeps wanting me to run System Restore I've tried to restore back to four different restore points but to no avail Realizing that HP Compaq puts the recovery programs on the D partition I figured I'd use my recovery disks instead I booted with the recovery disk but still can't repair or load Windows I ran the hardware diagnostics tool from the recovery disk though and it came up with a fail on the SMART short self test again I'd REALLY like to avoid having to replace the hard drive if it's not necessary so my question is this - When the SMART short self test fails is it ALWAYS because the drive is bad Or could it be a virus that's trying to make me think the drive is bad What are my options and what steps should I take Thanks everyone

A:SMART Short Self Failed, Windows 7 Won't Load

Whoops... I forgot to add something.  A couple of times, system restore gave me the message... "your system was successfully restored...click here to reboot."  When I would click to reboot, however, it rebooted me to the screen that says "Windows was unable to start.  Click here for startup repair."

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520381/smart-short-self-failed-windows-7-wont-load/
Relevancy 80.6%

my HP Pavilion Windows Vista 32bit won't run my Diagnostics test program(PC doctor5). when i ran the program from an external disk it says smart self test failed and surface scan test failed. the last time it did that it also failed to boot and i ahd to reinstall my Vista system (and obviously lost some files). i am now worried that the same problem might start again. what could cause the smart self test to fail? is it due to any thing i might have done or what because a few weeks ago i got infected with some malware and so i installed SUPERantispyware alongside AVG antivirus. the antispyware program removed some suspected files and it seemed that my computer was clean but now i am not sure what has happened again. please help.am desperate

A:Solved: smart self test failed

Hi jayleon98, and welcome to TSG.

S.M.A.R.T. (Self Monitoring And Reporting Technology) is hardware inside of a hard drives that reports the drive's internal physical condition to the host computer. I would backup any important documents and files off of the drive ASAP if I were you. There is a good chance that your hard drive is near failure and permanent loss or non-recoverable corruption of its contents. The drive may work fine for months or it may fail the next time you power up the computer or try to save a file to it..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-smart-self-test-failed.754814/
Relevancy 111.37%

My laptop wouldn't restart after I updated it and a hard disk error came up so I ran a hardware diagnostic test and it said the smart check passed but the short DST failed. I don't know what to do now.

A:Passed smart check but failed short DST hardware diagnostic

Did you do the extensive Test? If so, and you got the same response: Failed. I'm afraid, you might need a new Hard Drive. If your PC is under warranty, call HP Support, they will fix it, but you will have to send it to them.  If out of warranty, you will have to purchase a Hard Drive and replace it or have someone install it for you, like a computer technician. Hope I've been of some help, I'm not a computer expert,  but the same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. HP Supporters are wonderful here. From what I've learned on here, I am just trying to help out another.  Hope it works out for you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Passed-smart-check-but-failed-short-DST-hardware-diagnostic/td-p/5811590
Relevancy 107.07%

What should I do when my notebook system quick test says my hard drive SMART check failed?Failure Id: 9LPBSK-7SC875-XD7WLK-608Y03PRODUCT ID: T0X74PA#UUF

Solved!
View Solution.

A:System quick test: hard drive SMART check failed

Replace the hard drive is all you can do. That is a fairly new laptop is it still under warranty?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/System-quick-test-hard-drive-SMART-check-failed/td-p/5728024
Relevancy 92.02%

Dell Inspiron 8600
Windows XP
Started up the othe day and got the "blue error" screen. Ran the diagnostic from F2 and got the following:

DST Short Status Test
Fail
error: 1000-0143
msg: Unit 0 - Drive SMART read command failed

Help please!!!

A:DST Short Status Test Error

SMART is a hard drive error reporting feature available on SOME (not all) hard drives, via hard drive firmware.

Check your BIOS Setup and see if it is enabled. IF the HD has the feature you will be able to enable it. It is an option usually in the same window listing your hard drives.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dst-short-status-test-error-246736.html
Relevancy 91.59%

This is a little unusual.
It's an external USB 3.0 1TB 2.5" WD

Usually, for all drives, you can get the health status plus the other info/stats on the drive, internal or external. So what's going on with this one?

A:SMART status - Unknown ?

That version of CDI is over a year old. Update it to current 3.9.1

CrystalDiskInfo

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/120019-smart-status-unknown.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Just did a windows update and restart and upon restart the error message 501 came up along with some other numbers which I did not record yet.System test failed straight away with SMART failure and said numbers.After more restart attempts it did boot up through to windows but from all forum reports it looks like I am on borrowed time.In HP support assistant, under storage the SMART status is error.I know it is highly likely you will want those other fault numbers? 

A:SMART status error

Dear Customer, That indicates that the Hard Disk Drive has failed and that requires a replacement to resolve the issue This issue could be due to Application or driver conflicts, virus issues, file corruptions due to incompatible applications, improper shutdowns, update failures due to conflicts, sudden power surges, if notebook is dropped etc.. HP will provide a replacement Hard Disk Drive if your PC warranty is Active, If not you need buy a Hard Disk Drive from a retail shop nearby. Please Contact HP if your PC is under warranty, HP would replace the Hard Disk Drive and provide you a Recovery media to restore factory operating system after replacement (if you've not yet created Recovery Discs/USB Media) Please go through the below document:http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph05701   Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again  **Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem. Thank You,GBL84I am not an HP Employee

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/SMART-status-error/td-p/5842717
Relevancy 91.59%

Hello peeps.

So this morning I got a warning regarding my 500GB Hitachi hard disk, regarding the relocated sector count.

I wont img tag the picture, as its 1280x800 pixels, but the link to it is here. I found making it any smaller from its original 1680x1050 size just made it unreadable.

Should I be worried about this kind of warning? As of a couple of days ago I moved my entire linux setup to this hard disk, and I'm still moving all my files from temp storage to where they should be in my /home partition, but I'm kinda worried its now going to fail on me.

Whats your thoughts peeps? Am I good to go, or should I be ordering a new HDD as soon as practically possible?

P.S. If this fails it'll be my first ever HDD failure! :haha:

A:I have a SMART status warning - Not sure if it's bad or not

Four bad sectors reported. If I got this warning, I would replace it. You could run the linux equivalent of chkdsk afterward to see if you can salvage the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-a-smart-status-warning-not-sure-if-its-bad-or-not.157348/
Relevancy 90.73%

After reading the following post http www bleepingcomputer com forums STA ted-t htmlI used Everest Home Edition to run a report on my machine The item that concerned me was the Smart Disk Fail status and the Load unload Cycle status of Advisory The number of cycles reported is very SMART Disk Fail status = large What SMART Disk status = Fail is the significance of this I receive no error messages indicating any thing is SMART Disk status = Fail wrong Should I be worried The Everest report follows -------- EVEREST Home Edition - Lavalys Inc ------------------------------------------------------------ Version EVEREST v Homepage http www lavalys com Report Type Report Wizard Computer COMPAQ Tom s laptop Generator Tom Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition WinXP Retail Date - - Time -------- Summary ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OS Service Pack Service Pack DirectX DirectX c Computer Name COMPAQ Tom s laptop User Name Tom Motherboard CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium III-S MHz x Motherboard Name COMPAQ Presario US - Motherboard Chipset Intel Almador i MP System Memory MB SDRAM BIOS Type Phoenix Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port ECP Printer Port LPT Display Video Adapter MOBILITY RADEON Video Adapter MOBILITY RADEON MB D Accelerator ATI Mobility Radeon M Multimedia Audio Adapter Intel CAM ICH -M - AC Audio Controller B- Storage IDE Controller Intel CAM Ultra ATA Storage Controller- A Disk Drive HITACHI DK CA- GB RPM Ultra-ATA Optical Drive TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R DVD x CD x x x DVD-ROM CD-RW SMART Hard Disks Status FAIL Partitions C NTFS MB MB free Input Keyboard Compaq Easy Access Internet Keyboard Mouse Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical IntelliPoint Mouse Synaptics PS Port TouchPad Network Network Adapter Intel PRO VE Network Connection Network Adapter NETGEAR MA b Wireless PC Card x Modem Conexant HSFi V MiniPCI Modem Peripherals Printer GATEWAYHP DeskJet C Printer GATEWAYHP L Printer CAPTURE FAX BVRP Printer Fax USB Controller Intel CAM ICH -M - USB Controller B- USB Controller Intel CAM ICH -M - USB Controller B- USB Device Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical Battery Microsoft AC Adapter Battery Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery-------- DMI --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BIOS BIOS Properties Vendor Phoenix Technologies LTD Version Release Date Size KB Boot Devices Floppy Disk Hard Disk CD-ROM LS- Capabilities Flash BIOS Shadow BIOS Selectable Boot EDD BBS Smart Battery Supported Standards DMI APM ACPI ESCD PnP Expansion Capabilities ISA PCI AGP PCMCIA USB System System Properties Manufacturer COMPAQ Product Presario US - Version F E Serial Number Y KDJKJ Universal Unique ID C-BC -BDCC B- F EEF Wake-Up Type Power Switch Motherboard Motherboard Properties Manufacturer COMPAQ Product h Version TBD Serial Number None Chassis Chassis Properties Manufacturer COMPAQ Version N A Serial Number None Asset Tag No Asset Tag Boot-Up State Safe Power Supply State Safe Thermal State Safe Security Status None Memory Controller Memory Controller Properties Error Detection Method None Error Correction None Supported Memory Interleave -Way Current Memory Interleave -Way Supported Memory Speeds ns ns Supported Memory Types SDRAM Supported Memory Voltages V Maximum Memory Module Size MB Memory Slots Processors Intel Pentium Processor Properties Manufacturer GenuineIntel Version Intel Pentium External Clock MHz Maximum Clock MHz Current Clock MHz Type Central Processor Voltage V Status Enabled Upgrade ZIF Socket Designation U Caches L Cache Cache Properties Type Internal Status Enabled Operational Mode Write-Back Maximum Size KB Installed Size KB Supported SRAM Type Asynchronous Burst Pipeline Burst Current SRAM Type Asynchronous Socket Designation L Cache Caches L Cache Cache Properties Type Internal... Read more

A:SMART Disk status = Fail

Same comments apply for your issue.Although your laptop is a little older.Here's a link from Compaq with what you should try.(if this is what message you got from your laptop when you started it up)Compaq

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/22970/smart-disk-status-fail/
Relevancy 90.73%

I currently have Laptop HP-15G206AX system with Microsoft Windows 10 x64 Enterprise Edition. My system has recently started showing messages of SMART test FAILURE status on HP PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS with FAILURE ID : GUQ571-7JC872-XD7V6K-608203. I recently used Disk Cleanup utility as shown in image below with the faced issue of Storage Space                       Its been only year and a half to the purchase of this Laptop. Need urgent solution to this issue so that I could resolve it to prevent getting a big bunch of backup with is nearly impossible for me right now.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HardDisk-SMART-status-failure/td-p/5724155
Relevancy 90.73%

Running Belarc Advisor, it lists the following information about my Hard Drives:

ST380817AS [Hard drive] (80.02 GB) -- drive 1
ST380817AS [Hard drive] (80.02 GB) -- drive 0
WDC WD400JB-00FMA0 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 2, s/n WD-WMAJ91324646, rev 13.03G13, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD400JB-00FMA0 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 3, s/n WD-WMAJ91295651, rev 13.03G13, SMART Status: Healthy

From this output, my Western Digital Drives indicate a Healthy Smart status.

Also, it appears that either Belarc Advisor cannot detect a Smart status for the Seagate drives, or the Seagate drives do not have Smart turned on?

Anyone know anything about finding out if Smart reporting is turned on with regard to Seagate drives?

Anyone know anything regarding whether Belarc Advisor can or cannot detect a Smart status for Seagate drives?

Tia,

-- Tom

A:SMART status on Seagate drives?

Not all drives have it built into their firmware. I also believe if they are SMART capable you need to enable it in the BIOS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/smart-status-on-seagate-drives.356578/
Relevancy 90.73%

A few months ago my desktop computer's hard drive appears to have bit the dust. That's okay, replacing them doesn't seem like it'd be too much of an issue. The issue is that I'm unable to bypass the "SMART Status Bad" error in the BIOS because the machine can't load USB drivers, on account of it not getting to Windows, and I'd always used a USB keyboard previous.

The obvious answer there is to use a ps/2 keyboard, but it doesn't seem to recognize that either. The machine in question also doesn't seem to recognize floppies, so I can't use one to load a USB driver.

Without any means of input whatsoever, I'm really unsure about what to do to get this system working as it should again. Can anyone suggest something?

A:SMART Status Bad/Keyboard Issues

SMART doesn't really have anything to do with the operating system's ability to load drivers. It's strictly a predictive failure tool that tells you whether the current behavior of the hard drive is up to spec or not. (Temperature, head flying height, etc.)

My assumption is you can't get past the SMART error because the hard drive has irreconcilibly failed to the point where it cannot be mounted for bootstrapping.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/smart-status-bad-keyboard-issues.681919/
Relevancy 90.73%

What component does it usually mean when it says Smart Status: Bad on boot up? Harddrive or the motherboard?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/smart-status-bad-motherboard-or-harddrive-269692.html
Relevancy 90.3%

So recently while watching a few streams online on my laptop My laptop suddenly decided to freeze after rebooting it etc it gave me an error nbsp nbsp Boot Device Not FoundPlease install an operating system on Long/Short installed DST check and not Smart your hard disk nbsp Hard disk F nbsp Shocked but not surprised I decided to check the inside of my laptop see if perhaps there is a loose wire After opening my laptop and checking if there is a lose wire reseating my hard drive my computer still gave the Smart check and Long/Short DST not installed same error So I decided to run a few tests on my hard drive in the F HP PC config menu with the HDD tests etc After doing an extensive test it said nbsp Smart Check PassedLong Check Failed nbsp Confused and all I decided to enter the bios and reset it after a reset it told me to insert a valid boot drive and then press any key to continue Even more confused I rebooted my laptop and ran another quick test extensive test this time it told me nbsp Quick Test nbsp Smart check Not installedShort check Not installed nbsp Extensive test nbsp Smart check Not installedLong check Not installed nbsp Any help is appreciated nbsp Kind Regards Kirosaka

A:Smart check and Long/Short DST not installed

Whenever the Hard Disk Short DST test fails with an error "Hard disk [3F0]" that indicates that the Hard Disk Drive has failed and that requires a replacement to resolve the issue This issue could be due to Application or driver conflicts, virus issues, file corruptions due to incompatible applications, improper shutdowns, update failures due to conflicts, sudden power surges, if notebook is dropped etc.. HP will provide a replacement Hard Disk Drive if the Notebook warranty is Active, If not you need buy a SATA Hard Disk Drive from a retail shop nearby Please make sure you are getting at least equal capacity as the original one in order to use Recovery Disks. If you need you can buy a larger, but not smaller capacity Hard Disk Drive. For example if you have a 500GB Hard Disk Drive you can upgrade it to 750GB Hard Disk Drive but not 320GB Hard Disk Drive Please try the below shown troubleshooting steps once:Step 01. Remove the battery and unplug the AC/Power AdapterStep 02. Press and hold the Power button for more than 30 SecondsStep 03. Plug in the AC/Power Adapter (leave the Battery out for now)Step 04. Press the Power button and check if the Unit works normal If the above mentioned steps does not help, then you can try reseating the Hard Drive on your Notebook If the issue persists again please Contact HP if your HP Notebook is under warranty, HP would replace the Hard Disk Drive and provide you a Recovery media to restore factory operating system after replacement (if you've not yet created Recovery Discs/USB Media) Note: Back up all the personal data to an external drive if it's possible. Otherwise you could connect the failed HDD via SATA to USB adapter with another PC or same PC after replacement of HDD & re-installation of OS and try copying /recovering the files. You can also refer to the below shown link for further supporthttp://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Data-from-the-Hard-Drive-of-a-Dead-Laptop Please click on the link In order to Identify, Prevent, Diagnose & Recover from Drive Failures on HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives :http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02876562.pdf  You can Check your warranty Here to verify the status and Click Here to order a new Hard Drive  Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again Regards, GBL84 -------------------------------------------------Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP If my POST has helped you, Please click the 'White Thumbs Up Button' to say Thanks!!Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Smart-check-and-Long-Short-DST-not-installed/td-p/5021511
Relevancy 90.3%

I just booted up my Pavilion touchsmart notebook 15 for the first time today and it says that short/long DST and smart check nor installed. Any suggestions on how this can be fixed?

A:Short DST/ Long DST and SMART check not installed?

Hi @MoonShrew,I hope you enjoy your visit to the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with short/long DST error. I will be glad to help you. This is a hard drive error, please follow the steps from Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8). Please keep me informed of how things went. If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below!  Thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Short-DST-Long-DST-and-SMART-check-not-installed/td-p/5595535
Relevancy 90.3%

on boot: HDD failure Analysis:1)Reboot2) F23) "hard disk check"4) "Quick check" received : "Starting hard disk check"10 secondsreceived: "SHORT DST: "NOT INSTALLED", SMART CHECK: "NOT INSTALL" Trying to determine root cause: HDD or HDC/main board? Can someone assist?

Solved!
View Solution.

A:SHORT DST: "NOT INSTALLED", SMART CHECK: "NOT INSTALL"

After discussing with online support, removing SIMMS to force POST beeps and validate main planner board was ok, 1st level drew the conclusion the HDD had failed. two options:1) $89 for 2TB at best buy with local purchase2) $349 + shipping for 2TB from HP support Option 1 was chosen. HP envy 23 is up and running on Win 10.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/SHORT-DST-quot-NOT-INSTALLED-quot-SMART-CHECK-quot-NOT/td-p/5190934
Relevancy 89.44%

I installed and reformated a maxtor drive with maxtor software on a dell 2350.
I get the message "Smart status bad on Maxtor HD" upon boot up. My hard
drives are setup as master & slave. I don't see SMART in my bios to diable that
so what should I do to correct this problem. A previous maxtor drive did not give
this problem. I make the computer wait on boot up with that message.
Thank you,

A:Smart status bad on Maxtor HD & Dell 2350

Make sure the jumpers are set correctly on both drives; one Master and the other Slave or both to Cable Select - improper jumper settings can give false SMART errors.

Howver if it is a true SMART failure then you need to test the drive to confirm, and possibly repair an error if its a bad sector, or to replace the drive if its faulty and beyond repair.

Most Dell's have built-in diagnostics by pressing F12 or you can use the Maxtor/Seagate diagnostics: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/smart-status-bad-on-maxtor-hd-dell-2350.727373/
Relevancy 89.44%

I had the Smart HDD virus and used your instructions at http www REMOVAL After status HDD network" SMART "Aquiring bleepingcomputer com virus-removal remove-smart-hdd to remove it The virus appears to be gone However I cannot connect to the internet something I noticed while I was in the process of following the steps I had to install the exes using a flash drive My modem and router are working fine I have "Aquiring network" status After SMART HDD REMOVAL other computers and ipad connected to the internet using this router and they work fine The computer in question keeps saying quot acquiring network quot but never connects network Here is a copy of my FSS log Farbar Service Scanner Version - "Aquiring network" status After SMART HDD REMOVAL - Ran by Owner administrator on - - at Running from quot C Documents and Settings Owner Desktop quot Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack "Aquiring network" status After SMART HDD REMOVAL X Boot Mode Normal Internet Services Dhcp Service is not running Checking service configuration The start type of Dhcp service is OK The ImagePath of Dhcp service is OK The ServiceDll of Dhcp service is OK NetBt Service is not running Checking service configuration The start type of NetBt service is OK The ImagePath of NetBt quot system drivers tsk tmp quot Connection Status Localhost is accessible There is no connection to network Attempt to access Google IP returned error Google IP is unreachable Attempt to access Yahoo IP returend error Yahoo IP is unreachable Windows Firewall Firewall Disabled Policy System Restore System Restore Disabled Policy Security Center wscsvc Service is not running Checking service configuration Checking Start type Attention Unable to open wscsvc registry key The service key does not exist Checking ImagePath Attention Unable to open wscsvc registry key The service key does not exist Checking ServiceDll Attention Unable to open wscsvc registry key The service key does not exist Checking LEGACY wscsvc Attention Unable to open LEGACY wscsvc registry key The key does not exist Windows Update Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy File Check C WINDOWS system dhcpcsvc dll gt MD is legit C WINDOWS system Drivers afd sys - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation E E C B D E C WINDOWS system Drivers netbt sys - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation C E CD F EE DD CC B C WINDOWS system Drivers tcpip sys - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation A FC B E E E CE C F C WINDOWS system Drivers ipsec sys - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation AA C A AFEEE DF D D C WINDOWS system dnsrslvr dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation DE FD E A AA B C D C WINDOWS system ipnathlp dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation CC C B E BEF CB DEFF C WINDOWS system netman dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation DAB E C D EF FE C F C WINDOWS system wbem WMIsvc dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation F A C FD EFA CF E C WINDOWS system srsvc dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation BDF F D CBEC C D B F C WINDOWS system Drivers sr sys - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation E B D D CD AF DC C WINDOWS system wscsvc dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation D DAA C CDF F A F D A C WINDOWS system wbem WMIsvc dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation F A C FD EFA CF E C WINDOWS system wuauserv dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation D CBA D FF A F BCD C WINDOWS system qmgr dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation C EC E A D DD F FCCEA C WINDOWS system es dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation D A BFB C EE C C WINDOWS system cryptsvc dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation F DDCEA C CFB BE B C WINDOWS system svchost exe - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation F AE ED AAABC A DE C WINDOWS system rpcss dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation FEBF BEEA C A B B EC C WINDOWS system services exe - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation F D D DA D AE FAE DE Extra List Gpc IPSec NetBT PSched Tcpip x IpSec Tag value is correct End of log

A:"Aquiring network" status After SMART HDD REMOVAL

Download

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Install it and backup your registry to C:/Windows/erdnt

Now Download the registry file

Download

http://www.filedropper.com/netbt

Launch the registry key ,click YES when you get a pop up

restart the PC ,check your browser and post the new FSS log

good luck

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/450924/aquiring-network-status-after-smart-hdd-removal/
Relevancy 89.44%

can anyone here help me out it just started doing this yesterday

which drive is it the main(smaller one with the os) or the bigger one with all the bs on it?? and what do i need to do

A:pri master hard disk: smart status bad????

do you have 2 seperate harddrives or two partitions is the question, the physical primary drive sounds like it has some physical problems. So it will be the drive set to master on an IDE channel , or if its SATa just note make/model from bios and follow the lead connected to the lowest plug number usually masters are plugged into SATA point labelled 1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pri-master-hard-disk-smart-status-bad.39710/
Relevancy 89.44%

This laptop originally came a windows and was since upgraded to windows In a fit of rage and Pavilion Short laptop Check DST 17 problem SMART I smacked it with my hand in the area just above the hard drive I noticed afterwards that the hard Pavilion 17 laptop SMART Check and Short DST problem drive makes an adnormal clicking sound now and when I turn on the laptop it asks me to do a hard drive check The results of the check SMART Check NOT INSTALLEDLong DST NOT INSTALLEDAlso when I turn it on I here a rapid succession of around beeping sounds After I do the hard drive check I push F and in System Configuration when I click on OS Boot Manager it says is not found If I disable the Secure Boot I can click on Reset to HP defaults or something like that and get it to boot Pavilion 17 laptop SMART Check and Short DST problem up again I tried this without reenabling the Secure Boot and I just now did it again with the Secure Boot enabled and I have arrived at the HP Recovery Manager screen I tried the Minimized Image Recovery and it says HP Recovery Pavilion 17 laptop SMART Check and Short DST problem Manager failed Error code OxEFFFFFO I closed that box and it goes right back to where I started Hard Disk ErrorPlease run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics So did I ruin the Hard Drive Is there any hope that I have left to cling to here Please advise

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Pavilion-17-laptop-SMART-Check-and-Short-DST-problem/td-p/5612127
Relevancy 89.01%

Hello! I bought a new hdd drive and it has values of reallocated sector count and uncorrectable sector count both 252. As far as I understand they should be 0. What does it mean?

A:smart test issue

These are usually signs of a potential failure of the hard disk. Are there any obvious signs that the disk is having issues (clicking noises, unresponsive system, constant disk light activity)? Ensure you make regular backups, and consider replacing this disk.

Quote:
Count of reallocated sectors. When the hard drive finds a read/write/verification error, it marks that sector as "reallocated" and transfers data to a special reserved area (spare area). This process is also known as remapping, and reallocated sectors are called "remaps". The raw value normally represents a count of the bad sectors that have been found and remapped. Thus, the higher the attribute value, the more sectors the drive has had to reallocate. This allows a drive with bad sectors to continue operation; however, a drive which has had any reallocations at all is significantly more likely to fail in the near future.[2] While primarily used as a metric of the life expectancy of the drive, this number also affects performance. As the count of reallocated sectors increases, the read/write speed tends to become worse because the drive head is forced to seek to the reserved area whenever a remap is accessed. If sequential access speed is critical, the remapped sectors can be manually marked as bad blocks in the file system in order to prevent their use.

Quote:
The total count of uncorrectable errors when reading/writing a sector. A rise in the value of this attribute indicates defects of the disk surface and/or problems in the mechanical subsystem.

S.M.A.R.T. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/292783-smart-test-issue.html
Relevancy 89.01%

My chassis has some quality problem but I cannot afford to buy a new one at the moment. Especially the hard drive part, the mounting part of the hard drive is very unusual. Sometimes the computer could give unknown strange noise, it still works perfectly, though.

So I test the HDD

I tested the HDD by CrystalDiskInfo. This is the result. I only know it's "Good", but I don't know if the temperature is alright and what those values mean. I've captured the screen. Could anyone help see if it's good. Thanks

A:SMART Test result

That temperature is fine......the noise you are hearing is probably the disk mount rattling against the chassis/screws. Its nothing to be concerned about unless its extremely loose, and the HDD is physically moving a lot.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/294537-smart-test-result.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Our Western Digital hard drive WD3200JB is constantly hanging. When we turn on the PC, we will get a check disk notice. After running check disk, sometimes the pc will hang on the select user screen or hang after selecting an user and loading startup programs. We have to keep on restarting the PC in order to get the PC to boot up. We ran SMART using Western Digital's harddrive tool. So far, it indicates the harddrive is healthy. We think the harddrive is hanging (sometimes, we don't heard any spinning). How can we tell if it is the harddrive? Can it be a virus?

Also, once we get past the initial startup, the pc runs fine and does not hang.

Relevancy 88.58%

When I plug in my Western Digital it gives me the following error:

"IDE Channel 2 Slave Hard Disk.....
S.m.a.r.t Status Bad
Warning: Immediately Back Up"

It is a WD 5000YS, I guess.......

It will not allow my computer to boot when I plug it in. If I connect it alone or with my other HD my cpu will not boot. With it plugged in the initial Win 7 Load screens go by. But eventually it just locks on a solid black screen. I think sometimes with a cursor top left. Surly there is a way to boot my CPU with it hooked up so I can test it?

What can I try? Is there anything I need to tell you to help me?

A:HArd Disk Smart Status Bad - Western Digital

S.m.a.r.t logs hardware failures at hardware level. That disk is dead.

Can you try booting and then connecting it afterwards? If it is a SATA disk it will get recognized eventually, but might also freeze the PC.

I usually use external enclosures to do these things (file transfers from dying HDDs), as the enclosure's interface board does shield the PC from the bunch of errors that would freeze or lock it up if connected directly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/296160-hard-disk-smart-status-bad-western-digital.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I think this may mean my hard drive is damaged. It says,

DST Short Status
Fail
error-code: 1000-0142
unit 4: Drive Self Test Failed. StatusByte=77

A:DST Short Status: Failed?

hello that is what that means it happend to me too

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dst-short-status-failed-342964.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I own a Dell XPS 8300 that is brand new. Today I ran a PC Checkup, using Dell''s recommended settings. Everything passed, except for the SMART Thresholds test which read "Cannot read." Can someone please tell me what this means, why it happened, and what, if anything I can do about it? Thank you!

A:SMART Thresholds test problem

I think you need root OS admin for that raw test to run from within windows.
I could be mistaken.
I don't think this is an indication that your disk is bad but rather a failure of the test to run properly.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/178846-smart-thresholds-test-problem.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi Folks I have a Sony HDD Failing Results Test SMART - Vaio laptop that s less than a year and a half old I replaced the HDD once when it died Fujitsu brand but now I m afraid I might be having more Failing HDD - SMART Test Results problems I primarily use Windows Vista please spare me the jokes but I was able to boot into Ubuntu LiveCD to run SMART tests I am posting the SMART results for the short test below and I m hoping Failing HDD - SMART Test Results somebody can help me interpret them because I have no idea what they mean I ran the long SMART test too but it gave the same results I really appreciate any help I really hope there s a way to recover my data and save the drive Some symptoms Cannot boot into Vista says registry corrupted Cannot boot into windows recovery partition to run the startup repair it starts booting but hangs with black screen and white pointer which I can move around I can t even boot from Vaio Restore CD it also hangs at black screen HDD activity light solid Here s the SMART results email protected sudo smartctl -a dev sda smartctl version i -pc-linux-gnu Copyright - Bruce Allen Home page is http smartmontools sourceforge net START OF INFORMATION SECTION Device Model FUJITSU MHX BT Serial Number K T E Y Firmware Version B User Capacity bytes Device is Not in smartctl database for details use -P showall ATA Version is ATA Standard is Not recognized Minor revision code x Local Time is Wed Mar UTC SMART support is Available - device has SMART capability SMART support is Enabled START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION SMART overall-health self-assessment test result PASSED General SMART Values Offline data collection status x Offline data collection activity was never started Auto Offline Data Collection Disabled Self-test execution status The previous self-test completed having the read element of the test failed Total time to complete Offline data collection seconds Offline data collection capabilities x b SMART execute Offline immediate Auto Offline data collection on off support Suspend Offline collection upon new command Offline surface scan supported Self-test supported Conveyance Self-test supported Selective Self-test supported SMART capabilities x Saves SMART data before entering power-saving mode Supports SMART auto save timer Error logging capability x Error logging supported General Purpose Logging supported Short self-test routine recommended polling time minutes Extended self-test routine recommended polling time minutes Conveyance self-test routine recommended polling time minutes SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds ID ATTRIBUTE NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN FAILED RAW VALUE Raw Read Error Rate x f Pre-fail Always - Throughput Performance x Pre-fail Offline - Spin Up Time x Pre-fail Always - Start Stop Count x Old age Always - Reallocated Sector Ct x Pre-fail Always - Seek Error Rate x f Pre-fail Always - Seek Time Performance x Pre-fail Offline - Power On Hours x Old age Always - Spin Retry Count x Pre-fail Always - Power Cycle Count x Old age Always - Power-Off Retract Count x Old age Always - Load Cycle Count x Old age Always - Temperature Celsius x Old age Always - Lifetime Min Max Hardware ECC Recovered x a Old age Always - Reallocated Event Count x Old age Always - Current Pending Sector x Old age Always - Offline Uncorrectable x Old age Offline - UDMA CRC Error Count x e Old age Always - Multi Zone Error Rate x f Pre-fail Always - Run Out Cancel x Old age Always - Head Flying Hours x e Old age Always - SMART Error Log Version ATA Error Count device log contains only the most recent five errors CR Command Register HEX FR Features Register HEX SC Sector Count Register HEX SN Sector Number Register HEX CL Cylinder Low Register HEX CH Cylinder High Register HEX DH Device Head Register HEX DC Device Command Register HEX ER Error register HEX ST Status register HEX Powered Up Time is measured from power on and prin... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/failing-hdd-smart-test-results.806458/
Relevancy 88.15%

When I run the SMART short and extended test in the bios they both fail. If your drive fails these test you should definitely replace your hard drive?

A:Samsung HDD failing SMART test

Most likely yes, it could be false positive but tits usually not and an indication that the drive is not performing up to the full specifications or the drive has failures.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/samsung-hdd-failing-smart-test.932362/
Relevancy 88.15%

The only thing that failed is "Re-allocated sector count: results are value 138, threshold 140, worst 138.

What does this mean to me?

I have noticed my laptop heating up more than normal for a couple of weeks. Is this bad news?

Thanks,
Bill

A:Smart test Failure on HD. What do these results mean?

A smart failure tends to mean ...well failure is pretty imminent you probably should backup data now while it's still booting. It could hold out for as long as a year in that state, or it could die completely tomorrow.
From my own experience that's pretty much it.
A SMART failure always means some key component in the drive is on it's way out.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/251234-smart-test-failure-hd-what-do-these-results-mean.html
Relevancy 87.72%

My aunt sent me the following email outlining a problem she s having again with her hard drive This same thing has happened before maybe a year or two ago and she had to replace the hard drive quot I m afraid my hard drive is failing again It s been running slower and Slooooower and harder to get booted up This morning I got the DOS message again that the Master Hard Disk SMART Hard SMART Drive imminent status bad failure Solved: - status was bad and failure imminent Is there a problem in the computer that s quot killing quot the hard drives I have backed everything up I think on the external drive which is Gig BTW so won t be devastated if there s nothing we can do I m afraid to turn it off now It still does some things O K although quite slowly Solved: Hard Drive SMART status bad - failure imminent Is there anything I can do to save Solved: Hard Drive SMART status bad - failure imminent it quot She has an fairly new eMachine I can get the exact model and other specs if it would help I know she has GB of RAM Could there be some problem with the motherboard or other component that would cause the gradual demise of two different hard drives the original and now this replacement Any suggestions are greatly appreciated Thank You nbsp

Relevancy 86.86%

Roommate's Dad's HP Slimline desktop won't start past BIOS splash screen. Booted into onboard diagnostics for full test which reports SMART test failed Error Code 303. Google says imminent drive failure.

I have Hitachi Hard drive fitness test which is quite good and plan to run it on the drive when it arrives tonight. But even if it repairs HD enough to start, can drive be trusted?

Often reading SMART with Crystal Disk Info will show warnings that never lead to failure but since the drive won't boot it doesn't seem wise to try to repair it any more than what it takes to get data off. What are your opinions on this?

This is a 1TB Hitachi HD which he doesn't use more than 25 gb, so I plan to pick up an SSD if price is comparable for replacement. Any suggestions?

A:HP SMART Test failure - Trust Repair?

An SSD at 128 would be a sensible solution based on what you are saying. OS and programs may well use 50% of that. Files should not take more than 20 except for sound and pictures.
Age of the Hitachi and hours of run time are important factors here-so saving data is critical in the end. As you have written-it would be best to do a "clean install" on a new drive.
Just my 2 pennys worth

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318501-hp-smart-test-failure-trust-repair.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi, I have just bought the first Lenovo Laptops and after run a test, there is a warning sign from the SMART Drive self test. What is this mean? The hard drive having problem? 

A:"Warning" for SMART drive self test (model 700 ser...

Hi Vickles , 

S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology; often written as SMART) is a monitoring system included in computer hard disk drives (HDDs) and solid-state drives (SSDs)[1] that detects and reports on various indicators of drive reliability, with the intent of enabling the anticipation of hardware failures. 

You may consider calling back the reseller as it is an integrity failure that may be bound to happen in the near future specially if you have freezing issue / BSOD /slow performance and worst as clicking noise. 

Was wondering what brand of harddrive you have as this may happen to any OEM systems . But good that you're able to run diagnostics for over check up, likewise you may also verify its finding by using other similar test like this and this . 

You may call in tech support for repair options too.

Hope this answered your query. 
Update us how things go for you best.

Regards

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/quot-Warning-quot-for-SMART-drive-self-test-model-700-series/td-p/3308141
Relevancy 86.43%

I am using HP Pavilion dm Notebook with Windows Home Edition installed HD TOSHIBA MK GSX Hard drive GB Recently my laptop started to reboot frequently with some error overheating FAILED - Short DST: Failed Test Start-up and DISK usage always I have tried to format Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED the hard drive and tried to re-install it with Windows boot-up disk But it is not responding even for the F - System recovery option to format it I have then tried to run the HP - System Diagonistics with running the quot Start-up Test quot first The result is as below Start-up Test Memory Test PASSED SMART Check PASSED Short DST FAILED FAILURE ID U L X - C C-XD U G- Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED SF PRODUCT ID XG PA AB Hard Disk ------------------ As it looks like Hard Disk issue I ran the quot Hard-Disk Test quot but Hard-disk test shows all are PASSED It is confusing whether it is really Hard drive issue Do I need to replace the Hard drive If so can I go for any hard drive or only Toshiba any issue in using other HD will have any issue with my mother board Please advise

A:Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED

Sounds like a failing hard disk, but the overheating thing is worrisome.

The TOSHIBA MK6465GSX is a 2.5" form factor SATA drive, 9.5 mm thick. You should be able to replace it with any drive with the same dimensions. (You probably can use a thinner drive, but a spacer may be needed to mount it.) That includes SSDs that are intended as laptop HD replacements.

I see that there are a couple of YouTube videos showing how to replace the HD for your model laptop.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/57023-start-up-test-failed-short-dst-failed.html
Relevancy 86.43%

I am using HP Pavilion dm Notebook with Windows Home Edition installed Start-up Test DST: - Short FAILED Failed HD TOSHIBA MK GSX Hard drive GB nbsp Recently my laptop started to reboot frequently with some error overheating and DISK usage always I have tried to format the hard drive and tried to re-install it with Windows boot-up disk But it is not responding even for the F - System recovery option to format it I have then tried to run the HP - Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED System Diagonistics with running the Start-up Test first nbsp The result is as below nbsp Start-up Test Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED nbsp Memory Test PASSEDSMART Check PASSEDShort DST FAILED nbsp FAILURE IDU L X - C C-XD U G- SF PRODUCT IDXG PA AB nbsp Hard Disk ------------------As it looks like Hard Disk issue I ran the Hard-Disk Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED Test but Hard-disk test shows all are PASSED It is confusing whether it is really Hard drive issue Do I need to replace the Hard drive If so can I go for any hard drive or only Toshiba any issue in using other HD will have any issue with my mother board Please advise

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Start-up-Test-Failed-Short-DST-FAILED/td-p/5698945
Relevancy 86.43%

I am using HP Pavilion dm Notebook with Windows Home Edition installed HD TOSHIBA MK GSX Hard drive GB Recently my laptop started to reboot frequently with some error overheating and DISK usage always I have tried to format the hard drive and tried to re-install it with Windows boot-up disk But it is not responding even for the F - System recovery option to format it I have then tried to run the HP - System Diagonistics with running the quot Start-up Test quot first The result is as below Start-up Test Memory Test PASSED SMART Check PASSED Short DST FAILED FAILURE ID U L X - C C-XD U G- SF PRODUCT ID XG PA AB Hard Disk ------------------ As it looks like Hard Disk issue I ran the quot Hard-Disk Test quot but Hard-disk test shows all are PASSED It Failed DST: Test Start-up FAILED - Short is confusing whether it is really Hard drive issue Do I need to replace the Hard drive If so can I go for any hard drive or only Toshiba any issue in using other HD will have any issue with my mother board Please advise

A:Start-up Test Failed - Short DST: FAILED

Please check with HP Technical Support. They will know what exactly the Failure ID means and advice you on the next course of action.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398737-start-up-test-failed-short-dst-failed.html
Relevancy 86%

Hello there. My drive passed SMART extended self test that scans the entire disk surface. Is the full format with command FORMAT FS=NTFS overkill? Thanks!

A:Any relevance to full format after SMART extended test?

Hi,

A QUICK format does NOT scan for bad sectors, whereas a FULL format does. So, you can think of it this way:

QUICK Format + CHKDSK /F = FULL Format

If you are confident that your SMART assesment tells you you have no bad sectors, then a QUICK format is probably sufficient. If it was me, and I was doing a completely new installation on a previously used HDD, then personal I would run a FULL Format, regardless of what my SMART assesment would look like. A FULL format takes considerably longer than a QUICK format, but you get the satisfaction of knowing the status of those clusters.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/185037-any-relevance-full-format-after-smart-extended-test.html
Relevancy 86%

I have an Hp pavilion ze4600 laptop. When the computer starts I get a

"SMART Failure Predicted on hard disk 0: Toshiba MK4025GAS-(PM)"
"1720 At least one driver attribute has exceeded the maufacturers threshold, please run Drive Self Test in ROM setup"

When I run the Drive self test in the BIOS I recieve the Error "07 Fail"

Also, the user said that the computer would easily freeze and she would have to restart it manually with the power switch.

I don't want to buy a new Hard drive if her computer is going to keep freezing. If that is the case it might be time to buy a new laptop. I can't seem to find any results on an "07 fail" error either. I just thought I would post and see what you uys think. Is it worth buying a new HDD or is this laptop almost dead?

Relevancy 86%

Hi everyone,  I really hope someone can help me. I bought an Ideapad (300-15ISK - Machine Type 80Q7) about two weeks ago, and I just ran an LSC hardware scan. The laptop passed everything except the SMART drive self-test. I received a warning there and the result code: WHD01V000-UL7CLI I don't know if this makes a difference, but when I press the power button to switch the laptop on, it makes this little weird noise that sounds like a "spark"  or "static." The laptop is under a one-year warranty, so I'm sure I can get it replaced if this is a serious problem. Thanks for any and all advice!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Lenovo-Ideapad-300-15ISK-SMART-Drive-Self-Test-Warning/td-p/3387928
Relevancy 86%

Had some problems with my lap top freezing and then going to a blue screen error message.  Told me that I did not have a hard drive or an operating system.  Usually just turning off and resting made everything OK.  Now I get the error message that my hard drive has failed the SMART test and is in danger of crashing -- I have backed up everything but now what do I need to do?

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Warning of hard drive failure from SMART test

The SMART imminent failure for Hard drive is an indication that your Hard drive is on verge of failure or might fail anytime depending on usage.  Run HP Diagnostics for HDD and provide failure code of Hard drive test to HP Technical Support so that its replaced for you free of cost within warranty period of your notebook.  Kindly check the instructions over here in order to run the test for your hard drive

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Warning-of-hard-drive-failure-from-SMART-test/td-p/758383
Relevancy 86%

Hoy actualice windows despues de mucho tiempo. Tardo 30 minutos en reiniciarse y a los 5 minutos de uso el sisgema quedo congelado. Al reiniciar y hacer la verificacion del disco duro salió esto como resultado:Verificación INTELIGENTE de disco duro REPROBADOID FALLA GTXRBQ-7B288F-60E903ID DEL PRODUCTO J2M96LA#ABMunica unidad de disco duroEsta es la informacion del disco duro(si es que ayuda)Tipo AtaModelo WDC WD10JPVX-60JC3T0version frimware 01.01A01Y bueno no se como solucionar esto ): ayuda.

A:Hdd, Disco duro no funciona, smart test fallado

@mauc0220

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Forum. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To insure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Forum.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: ??????????
Korean: HP ??????
Thank you for your understanding

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hdd-Disco-duro-no-funciona-smart-test-fallado/td-p/5782928
Relevancy 86%

Ran tests and received a yellow warning on the SMART Drive Self-Test - with result code: WHD01VOOO-UL7DOL My Ideapad 300 is running very slowing it is only 8 months old, what else can I do? Any help appreciated Thanks

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Lenovo-Ideapad-300-15ISK-SMART-Drive-Self-Test-Warning/td-p/3427037
Relevancy 86%

Hi everyone.

Recently, I've had problems with my computer running Windows 7 64-bit SP1. It took a long time to get from Starting Windows to my desktop. And it was extremely slow when using the computer. It took forever to open a folder or a file. This morning, I switched on my computer and I got this error message at boot:

3rd Master Hard Disk:S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace

I'm guessing my hard drive is damaged? Any way of repairing the hard drive? What are the next steps I should take? And in the event that it can't be repaired, any way to salvage the files inside?

Thank you for reading and hope you can help!

A:Error message at boot : Hard Disk:SMART Status Bad, Backup and replace

Back up the drive and replace it. It may run long enough for you to get your data off of it. I would recommend that you put a fresh install of Windows on your new drive. Yours is probably corrupt from the bad drive. I would just back up important data anyway, never mind the programs. You'll need to reinstall them anyway.

There's no real way to fix the drive, and even if you could, it would be uneconomical. Throw it away.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/397310-error-message-boot-hard-disk-smart-status-bad-backup-replace.html
Relevancy 85.57%

can some one please help me my laptop dell latitude d was working fine until i got a Virus and my laptop started to slow down i ran virus scans and spyware bt suddenly a blue plz? DST test Short help Failed screen came up and my laptop kept rebooting itself and DST Short test Failed help plz? the blue screen kept coming up I tried to atleast get the windows to let me log on bt i cudnt i tried all the ways even in safe mode the blue screen kept coming up so i ran diognistics and it told me DST Short Test Failed Error code - unit DST log contains previous errors So i reinstalled windows xp and after tries i finally got it working but i still have the problem and my c drive has errors i can not even install anti virus it keeps saying the c DST Short test Failed help plz? drive is curupt and has errors ive tried doing disk chk bt the probs still there its not working Please help thank you nbsp

Relevancy 85.57%

Hi, following a reboot, my laptop decided to not restart. Running diagnostics produced the failure id 0g9vuf-6gc88t-mfpx0k-60qf03 for the hard drive short DST check. Can somebody please confirm that my hard drive is dead and requires replacement. Thanks.

A:HDD failed short test

Hi, The error code does confirm a failure of the short disk self test and would indicate the drive will need to be replaced. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/HDD-failed-short-test/td-p/5798146
Relevancy 85.57%

Unable to boot my computer this morning, I ran hardware diagnostics. The computer passed the memory check and the SMART check but failed the Short DST.Error code: UFH3HF-000840-XD7V7F-60SL03Product ID: G8B26UC#ABAI know generally a failed DST test means the hard drive has gone bad, but I have yet to see an error code similar to mine on the forums so I thought I'd check, just in case.

A:Short DST Test Failed

Hi, Unfortunately, the code does confirm a failure of the short Disk Self Test and would indicate that the drive should be replaced.  The error codes are unique as they contain a hash other information such as the time of the test. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Short-DST-Test-Failed/td-p/5611726
Relevancy 84.71%

Laptop hung on Windows start-up logo screen, so I rebooted and ran the start-up diagnostics: Start-Up Test:Memory Test: PassedSMART Check: PassedShort DST: Failed Failure ID: GG9XU2-64R86W-MFPX0J-60RB03Product ID: A8S60EA#ABU I guess that I need a new hard drive, but can I recover the data from the current drive?

A:Start-Up Test - Short DST: Failed

@Les1207? If you can not boot then remove the HDD and connect it to a SATA to USB connector.  Take it to any laptop/desktop and see if you can copy the DATA you need. REO

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Start-Up-Test-Short-DST-Failed/td-p/5719979
Relevancy 84.71%

How do I correct this?

A:dst short start test failed

Welcome to TSF

DST stands for Drive Self Test, If it fails the test it means your drive is failing. You will need to replace it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dst-short-start-test-failed-486779.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello,
Today morning when I turn on my laptop, I got an error from Intel Rapid Storage that the laptop may fail and I must take a bacjup. I tried running Boot time Diagnostic and it gave me following message:
Error Code 2000-0151
Validation 116622
Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N W0VAY77L, Incorrect status = 3E 
SMART Predictive Failure.
Please guide me if HD need to be replaced. My laptop is under warranty.

A:Error Code 2000-0151 - Hard Drive incorrect status 3E Smart Predicitve Failure

Hi navedalamalam,
2000-0151 error indicates your hard disk drive (HDD) has failed and may be nearing the end of its life. Please backup the data from the system if it’s booting up. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it. Then run the diagnostics again.
http://dell.to/18r60nI
Please refer to the video in the link below for updating the BIOS.
http://dell.to/164n7sH
Please let me know if this helps.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19640886
Relevancy 83.85%

Product Name: HP 15 Notebook PCOperating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)Hello,The operating system was not booting correctly.So I tried to perform System recovery using HP System Recovery.It started fine, but stopped at 2% and and showed a failure id with the below message.After reading forums online, I did all the troubleshooting steps possible and at the end I did the SMART test... the result was:Processor check: PassedHard drive smart check: failedFailure id: 94PSK9- 76X891-MFKR6J-60B203HARD DISK error 1 (301)here some computer info:Model: HP 15 Notebook PCProcessor: Intel Core(TM) i3-3110M 2.40GHzThanks for your help!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Smart-Check-Failed/td-p/5806572
Relevancy 83.85%

Hello there,My new (one day) idaeapad 700 15ISK laptop has the pci express status test failed, and I don't know what is the problem exactly and what should I do. I wish someone tell me how to deal with this.I attached a link to the test report cause I couldn't upload it here. Thanks in advance.https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4nf7kg45zfl7ic/Report.html?dl=0 Spoiler (Highlight to read)   

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/pci-express-status-test-failed/td-p/3381356
Relevancy 83.85%

i ran a hp disk test i cant remember which one but i tried to run both, one passed and the other failed and i got this
failure id error code

hp failure id U30JJKL-67383U-MFPX0K-60RB03

i still can use my computer i have problems now and then
with overheating and corruption of files do i need to replace my hard drive?

A:Hard disk Short DST test failed

Yes. One day soon it will not boot up. At a minimum you should be backing up religiously. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/td-p/5607327
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi, I've pavilion dm4 1150 laptop. I just completed the hard disk test and following results populated: Testing Drive: 1SMART Check : PASSEDShort DST : FAILED FAILURE ID : PU6E02-5B084G-XD6U2K-60RE03PRODUCT ID : XH126UA#ABC Hard Disk 1 ---------------------------------------------------------- Please let me know, is that hard disk failed ? Do I need to change my hard drive ? If yes, what kind of hard disk do I need to buy and from where ? I'm in Australia currenlty. the laptop is not in warranty. The warranty period has expired already.  I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your support. Regards,Ravi

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Dist-Test-Short-DST-FAILED-What-to-do-next/td-p/5632032
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi my Hp notebook short DST test failed .Error code:gk441d-6rt84j-mfpwxp -60u503Product I'd:e9j77ea#abuWhat does that mean and what can I do now ?

A:Hard drive short DST TEST FAILED

Hi,            The failure ID refers to Hard disk drive failure. If the unit is under warranty, then you can call the HP Support to get the Hard disk drive replaced if not you have to get the Hard disk drive replaced yourself and then reinstall the operating system using recovery disk.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-drive-short-DST-TEST-FAILED/td-p/5634623
Relevancy 83.85%

Hey,

I'm wanting to know what I do to resolve these issues (attached). Do I need to worry? Thanks!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3894 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1723 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 461838 MB, Free - 408425 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0WXY9J
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Relevancy 83.85%

My laptop HP Notebook 15-r007tx  fails to load Windows.  The HP UEFI diagnostics for hard disk failed the Short DST test with failure id=Q88K1D-836864-XD7V7F-60XG03. Does this mean I have to replace my hard drive? My laptop's product ID is G8D31PA#ACJ and I have Win8.1 -64 installed on it. please give solution as soon as possible . Thank You,Hiren

Hi, The 24 character error code does confirm a failure of the short Disk Self Test and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced. If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here. If you live in the US, contact HP Here. If you are in another part of the world, start Here. If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know. Regards, DP-K 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/td-p/5689770
Relevancy 83.85%

My laptop HP ENVY 15-j059nr Quad Edition Notebook PC fails to start. I ran the HP UEFI quick test diagnostics using ESC + f2 on reboot the  hard disk failed the Short DST test with failure code 64NC9H-6TA85K-MFGJWK-60ST03. What does this code mean.

Hi, The 24 character error code does confirm a failure of the short Disk Self Test ( DST ) and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  This is also consistent with your description of the issue. If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here. If you live in the US, contact HP Here. If you are in another part of the world, start Here. If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/td-p/5671188
Relevancy 83.85%

I ran extensive diagnostics. The Hard disk Short DST test failed with failure id 6APNXA-70585V-MFPWWK-60SK03. Does this mean I have to replace my hard drive? My laptop's product ID is  F6C92PA#ACJ and I have Win10 -64 installed on it.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-disk-Short-DST-test-failed/td-p/5681755
Relevancy 82.99%

Smart Hard drive: failed MBU0Q0-6NP85Q-MFGJXG-60CD03Was attempting a factory restore and this error came up?Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Smart-Hard-drive-failed/td-p/5676681
Relevancy 82.99%

Hey there techguy The title isn t telling but I m not sure what to write since I m quite confused about my problem I was trying to solve it without getting active at any forum but I m not that familiar with rescuing hard drives and files on it so I m pretty much stumped right now My setup Intel Q GB RAM GeForce GT on a P N E-SLI from ASUS Samsung HD HDD dead? dropped failed. SMART LJ running Windows x Samsung HD SMART failed. HDD dropped dead? SJ Western Digital WD EARS Here s the story After trying to play a game from my HD SJ I ve noticed very long loading times which I ve never experienced before I immediately shut down the game and tried to reboot my pc BIOS didn t show the HD SJ at that time When getting to the quot Windows loading quot screen it took about minutes to switch screen and another to minutes to finally load the windows explorer During that time I already had the chance to take a look at the task manager seeing explorer exe and some other programs already running After my pc loaded all the programs I went to check my HDDs with HD Tune Seeing only the HD LJ and the WD EARS My HD LJ showed or warnings under health but overall it was saying quot ok quot So I wondered about my HD SJ and shut down the pc to test some methods I tried to switch SATA ports power supply cables SATA cables took off all other HDDs etc I figured out that my HD SJ got redetected by my BIOS when enabling or either disabling SMART monitoring in the BIOS After trying to reboot into Windows it took quite some time Windows tried to execute chkdsk on my HD SJ resulting in a test with some record segments unreadable in an almost regular interval After Windows loaded I went to the explorer My HD SJ showed up there as a local volume without it s size I again ran HD Tune and under Health it said quot Spin up time quot failed with a current value of With the HD SJ connected BIOS is also loading a bit longer than usual After all I tried many many ways to get it back Like using another pc using SeaTool ES-Tool etc ES-Tool got me the farthest right now even though I didn t took the full test When trying to run the test on my HD SJ with SMART enabled the test ends soon after starting with this and some error codes WDOSX Win subsystem Abort from unhandled exception Click to expand When SMART is disabled the test immediately starts Outcome gt gt READ DMA Testing Pass gt gt CHECK S M A R T Testing - gt gt SPIN DOWN UP Testing Pass gt gt SIMPLE SURFACE SCAN Testing Ecc error gt gt WRITE VERIFY Testing Ecc error gt gt RANDOM SURFACE SCAN Testing Error LBA lt big number gt Error LBA lt big number gt Error LBA lt big number gt Error LBA lt big number gt Error LBA Error LBA Error LBA Error LBA Error LBA lt big number gt Error LBA lt big number gt Click to expand The numbers are mostly showing up twice with LBA and LBA showing up like that between them Random surface scan already got to about and after that only spit out numbers Having seen that going on for many hours with chkdsk while trying to start Windows I canceled the test after minutes with the result of ES-Tool telling me Service Code gt AJ Bad Sector Btw SATA Controller on the pc I ran ES-Tool on ATI SB Controller Firmware of my HD SJ AJ E Is a firmware update probably going to help I m really not familiar with checking hard drives so it might be nothing but here s something about the LBA size Current LBA size is while native LBA size shows Is this normal even though it s only a difference of Also Power on hours for that hard drive are at around In the end I m not too familiar with all these tools so that s why I got here I know that with the information you got right now it might be not enough to be able to help me so please ask for additional information Hope you guys can help Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

Hello there,
My new (one day) idaeapad 700 15ISK laptop has the pci express status test failed, and I don't know what is the problem exactly and what should I do. I wish someone tell me how to deal with this.
I attached a link to the test report cause I couldn't upload it here. Thanks in advance.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4nf7kg45zfl7ic/Report.html?dl=0

Mod's Edit: System model added to the front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:700-15ISK - pci express status test failed

Ali-Eddin wrote:Hello there,My new (one day) idaeapad 700 15ISK laptop has the pci express status test failed, and I don't know what is the problem exactly and what should I do. I wish someone tell me how to deal with this.I also have an Ideapad 700-15ISK, and had exactly the same problem.  I believe that it is a spurious diagnostic.  Update the relevant Lenovo application to the latest version, and the diagnostic should disappear.  The Lenovo application may update itself, if you connect it to the internet and leave it for a while. -- from CyberSimian in the UK

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/700-15ISK-pci-express-status-test-failed/td-p/3381356
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello there,
My new (one day) idaeapad 700 15ISK laptop has the pci express status test failed, and I don't know what is the problem exactly and what should I do. I wish someone tell me how to deal with this.
I attached a link to the test report cause I couldn't upload it here. Thanks in advance.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4nf7kg45zfl7ic/Report.html?dl=0

A:700-15ISK - pci express status test failed

Ali-Eddin wrote:Hello there,My new (one day) idaeapad 700 15ISK laptop has the pci express status test failed, and I don't know what is the problem exactly and what should I do. I wish someone tell me how to deal with this.I also have an Ideapad 700-15ISK, and had exactly the same problem.  I believe that it is a spurious diagnostic.  Update the relevant Lenovo application to the latest version, and the diagnostic should disappear.  The Lenovo application may update itself, if you connect it to the internet and leave it for a while. -- from CyberSimian in the UK

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/700-15ISK-pci-express-status-test-failed/td-p/3381356
Relevancy 82.99%

My Desktop All-in-one Compaq HP 18-3204LA (or ID product: H5N68AA#AKH ) Fails when its trying to Start Windows 10 (64-bits) , I Checked The Diagnostic HP and i got a problem about the Short DST from the Hard Disk , As it got failed in the Test Progress The Fail ID was:  M0AFHT-000863-MFPNXG-60SE03  

A:Hard Disk Short DST HP Diagnostic Test Failed

@Nikoiro?, welcome to the forum. This error message means that your hard drive has failed.  You will have to replace it.  You should buy a hard drive the same size or larger than the one being replaced. Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Disk-Short-DST-HP-Diagnostic-Test-Failed/td-p/5689470