Windows Support Forum

Laptop not keeping time, CMOS battery good

Q: Laptop not keeping time, CMOS battery good

Hi all, a friend has a laptop running XP, the system clock resets everytime it's switched off for more than half an hour or so. I have tried three replacement CMOS batteries (and checked the voltage with a multimeter, 3V or thereabouts), no joy. I have cleaned the battery clip contacts & definitely inserted the batteries right way up, any polite suggestions please?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop not keeping time, CMOS battery good

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Laptop not keeping time, CMOS battery good

Have you check the bios to make sure the time is set correctly in the bios? If not windows will not keep the correct time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-not-keeping-time-cmos-battery-good.200032/
Relevancy 87.72%

computer is a compaq deskpro sb series. operating system is windows xp professional. time clock is erratic when restarted after power being disconnected. cmos battery has been replaced twice ( voltage below 2 volts both times). keeps good time if left connected to mains power when switched off. is this a mother board problem? does the same clock work from both mains power and battery? your thoughts appreciated.

Relevancy 79.12%

Hello. I'm new to this forum, and I'm not super experienced, so I hope I'm not overlooking something basic or don't understand something, but here's my question:

I set the "supervisor password" and the "user password" in the BIOS set-up in windows xp professional (pavilion a1010, p4). After turning off the computer and then powering it back up, I am not prompted for the "user password" (which is the power-on password, right?). I am, however, prompted for the "supervisor password", if I try to enter BIOS set-up, indicating to me that the CMOS battery is good. When I do enter BIOS set-up the "supervisor password" and the "user password" are still indicated to be "enabled". Any insights on why my computer is not prompting me for the power-on password would much appreciated. Thank you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-prompt-for-power-on-password-%C2%97-cmos-battery-seems-to-be-good.570014/
Relevancy 77.4%

Summary my BIOS time was four hours off I changed it to the correct time and now at various times my Windows time changes to four hours behind No event of the time change in the event viewer This is a new motherboard my keeps Something (new time battery) changing Windows cmos and the BIOS time stays constant read other posts saying a bad cmos battery can cause time to change At first my Something keeps changing my Windows time (new cmos battery) Windows time kept losing about minutes even Something keeps changing my Windows time (new cmos battery) after manually changing it and making sure the internet time is running So I figured it was a problem with the BIOS time and changed it to the correct time moved it up Something keeps changing my Windows time (new cmos battery) hours minutes - overlooked this when initially setting it up Booted into Windows and the time was hours behind So I manually changed the time and thought nothing of it Came back to the computer many hours later and the time was back to hours off Went to check the Windows internet time setting which was set to run and clicked update now This set the time to the correct date time so the timezone settings Windows time process etc are correct Over the next few days the time kept moving back four hours after an extended period of time and sometimes reboots - this was not consistent I did the unregister register w tm and some other things with no luck The one odd thing about this is whenever I manually changed the time or the internet time changed it I always found an entry in the event log about the change However whenever quot whatever quot is changing my time it is not logged at least in the event viewer For now I quot fixed quot this by keeping the BIOS time four hours ahead Yes this is a workaround but I would really like to find out what is changing the time I ran sysinternals autoruns and there are a ton of things running at startup and is not going to be easy to check each one My guess is it must be some program process running that checks the BIOS time against the Windows time but the timezone set in that program process is not correct must have been installed with incorrect BIOS time and related that to the Windows timezone just a thought Just wondering if anyone experienced this or has thoughts on what can be doing this or how to troubleshoot Thanks Jay

A:Something keeps changing my Windows time (new cmos battery)

You might check on this,
Changing the Motherboard might have made your windows Invalid,
Activate Windows 7 Online
Did you set your clock with Internet time ?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/944-time-zone-change.html
Found this possibly review it,
Win7 Re-Activation/Re-Validation with Hardware Changes?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303193-something-keeps-changing-my-windows-time-new-cmos-battery.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I have a Dell Xps m1330, I only change the CMOS battery today and it is still not keeping time. If I shut down the computer at 2pm, when I turn on it is saying the same time as when I shut down. Should I gave it time or is there another problem?

Plus every time it approaching a new hour, it isn't updating correctly.

Relevancy 76.54%

So I'm absolutely sure I have an almost dead CMOS battery, as I frequently get the error "CMOS Date/Time Not Set, F1 to load default values, F2 to run Setup" before the Boot Manager is displayed, although this isn't always. As a result inside Windows, I've seen tray icons missing and errors while syncing with the Windows Time server. The error doesn't specify a reason, it simply says it cannot sync with the server. The twist is that only Windows 10 Pro is unable to sync with time.windows or any other available option, and that 7 Pro can do it perfectly fine. Is there some sort of relationship between a dead CMOS and syncing with Internet Time? (And does that battery being almost dead have anything to do with USB hard drives occasionally not being detected at start or asking about autoplay every time? Just thought I'd throw that out there while I was here)

Regards,

~MrMii Win 7

A:CMOS Battery & Internet Time Sync (and USB HDD): Are they related?

Just replace the CMOS battery & see if the other problems disappear. Which ever way you go you will have to replace the CMOS battery, so you may as well do that as a start.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/380437-cmos-battery-internet-time-sync-usb-hdd-they-related.html
Relevancy 75.25%

I have forgotten takes first for time, long PC to load CMOS battery Solved: Remove my Bios password for XP after being away for a while I Solved: Remove CMOS battery for first time, PC takes long to load tried to remember the bios password but i couldn t so I search and found that you could remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard which clears all the bios passwords So I located the CMOS battery A round flat silver battery help securely by a clip in the corner I pressed the clip in and remove the battery I left it out for about Solved: Remove CMOS battery for first time, PC takes long to load - minutes and put it back in When it went to the manufacturer logo on first boot the pc was processing something The orange light was always on The green power light was on After a few minutes the orange light stopped but nothing happened I was about to restart my PC until it loaded The windows XP logo loaded successfully and when it was up to the usernames and password login screen the orange light stayed on I could not access my keyboard not my mouse My keyboard was connected but couldn t type anything I use a USB mouse and the red light underneath was on but I couldn t use it Then the monitor went to power save mode but the orange light was still on I waited for about minutes and still nothing happened Then I decided to turn of my computer And removed the CMOS battery but Im trying to leave it removed for an hour or Is it meant to be like this Loading for a long time then eventually it loads into the desktop Will this solve my problem with loading I have got work that needs transferring from my laptop to my desktop Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Remove CMOS battery for first time, PC takes long to load

Might be a dumb question, but have you restarted it since?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-remove-cmos-battery-for-first-time-pc-takes-long-to-load.660260/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello I have a desktop Dell Inspiron XP SP that was gaining time and dropping my internet connection often It's about years old so I figured it was replacing CMOS synch Time work battery tool after doesn't past time to change the CMOS battery and did so When I restarted I attempted to synchronize Time synch tool doesn't work after replacing CMOS battery with adjust date time It informed me that Windows could not synchronize for security reasons because my date did not match and to adjust the date and try again Sure enough I hadn't noticed but the date was reading So I manually adjusted to both the correct date and correct time and tried again and got the same message So then I went into BIOS setup BIOS showed both the correct date and time This isn't a big issue at this point I guess because the time in both BIOS and on my desktop are showing the correct date and time and I no longer seem to be gaining time or dropping my internet connection since I replaced the battery and I can manually adjust the date and time However it bothers me that I cannot seem to synchronize with an internet time server because it keeps saying that the date does not match I have tried various time servers including pool ntp org Any ideas would be very welcome

A:Time synch tool doesn't work after replacing CMOS battery

Have you reset the computers time?  If it is off many things being time dependent will not work.  AV's and security programs will not update! Just in case right the time and date in the task bar and set it to current date and time. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568779/time-synch-tool-doesnt-work-after-replacing-cmos-battery/
Relevancy 74.39%

I have two identical Dell XPS for my kids I got them around May nbsp They use them mainly for steam games and Office Both running the Remove Long Up Battery Dell 8700 Boot Speeds Time - CMOS it XPS Windows AU Today on one of them by Dell XPS 8700 Long Boot Time - Remove CMOS Battery Speeds it Up son said a message popped up and asked to stop a service and he clicked yes Then all there was was a gray screen and mouse pointer He came and got me The pointer would move but nothing else responded So I did a power shut down On reboot the machine took around seconds from seeing the dell logo to the sign on screen This seemed very long So I rebooted the other machine to see how long it takes and it was only seconds from the dell logo to the Dell XPS 8700 Long Boot Time - Remove CMOS Battery Speeds it Up sign on screen nbsp I do not know if the long boot time has been going on or just started with this issue I ran sfc scannow and it said no issues I remember in September a year ago I had an issue with this machine where on power on all I would get is the spinning dots at the Dell logo and it would not boot into windows I even let it sit there for hours and just spinning dots I even tried new install of windows where the machine would let me install new windows but after updates the same thing happened with the spinning dots After a tons of troubleshooting a dell tech recommended pulling the cmos battery I did that and from then on it booted fine So since the long boot time did not seem right I pulled the cmos battery again waited seconds put it back in and booted into bios change the clock not sure if I had to but did and then reboot and now after the dell logo it gets to the log in screen after a few seconds like the other Any idea why this happened Why I needed to pull the cmos battery to get the short boot times Both XPS machines are on an APC battery backup Just curious if there is something defective with this particular machine that causes this issue where removing the CMOS battery solves it thanks

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19990960
Relevancy 73.53%

Hey everyone! Hopefully someone can help me. I've been having this problem for maybe 2 months now where my laptop would shutdown randomly and give me a real time clock error. I googled around and found that replacing the cmos battery would fix the problem. I tried it out but still i am getting this problem. Any ideas?
Thanks

A:Dell Inspiron 17 7737 - Still getting real time clock error after replacing cmos battery

If the system is in warranty, call Dell for replacement of the reserve battery.
If it's out of warranty, try replacing the battery yourself (it's a CR-2032 button cell).  Manual is linked below.  If that doesn't solve the problem, the clock chip has failed and the mainboard will need to be replaced.
ftp.dell.com/.../inspiron-17-7737_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19613852
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello friends,

I am in dire need of a new CMOS battery or "RTC" battery. I ordered a new one and as luck would have it I got a laptop LCD cable instead. My question is the following.

Is it possible to buy a new CMOS battery without the laptop cable and wire my own CMOS battery? I could use the cable from the dead CMOS battery and wire it to the new battery. Is this possible, It seams like a fairly simple thing to do. Anyone have any input or experience with this?

Thanks!

Antil0ck

A:Laptop CMOS battery

What is the laptops make and model? Serial number or Service Tag would also be nice

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-cmos-battery.129479/
Relevancy 73.53%

In regards to my Vista Home Premium I've had problems with it possibly due to a bad or dying CMOS battery & possibly defective battery as I posted in here http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-twice-on-my-vista.202144/
The most recent time was mentioned here http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-vs-ipad.203396/#post-1410844
Ok, I know I can google for info but since I trust the knowledgeable people in here, I'm asking for help because I want to find out if it'll be worth getting it fixed/repaired or getting an iPad instead.
The Vista laptop was 2nd hand
The Vista battery is VGP-BPS9/S 11. 1V/4800mAh

A:CMOS & Laptop battery

Get the laptop fixed or not? If yes, a ball park guesstimate as to how much.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cmos-laptop-battery.203425/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi!
I am hoping that some of you guys may have some information that may help me.
I need to replace the cmos battery in my CTX 700G laptop, but CTX stopped providing support for these a long time ago, and I have no way to get any sort of service manual for it.
the battery nust be well hidden because I cannot see it after removing the keyboard, and I do not want to dissassemble more than I have to in order to reach it.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!
CB

A:CTX laptop cmos battery

Welcome to TSG!

Not sure where it is but, this page shows a picture of what you are looking for. The green one part way down.

http://www.brilliantstore.com/battery/comctx-rb205.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ctx-laptop-cmos-battery.140339/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello,

A Texas Instrument's 'Extensa(sp?)' laptop from 1997/1998 needs a new battery (CMOS). Can anyone offer guidance as to the precise location - and access to that?

Thanks.

Relevancy 73.53%

Hi
I need to replace the battery on my laptop. As I read elsewhere, I too can't find the password to access an old machine. This is really sad though as it has always been my computer - though I've not used it for a year or so. Age! I actually need it now to store digital images when away for some time. It's a Compaq and I'm not sure how to get into the case. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Jim

Relevancy 73.53%

hp pavilion ze4906us ive had a few years, the CMOS battery is at the end of its life and needs to be changed. I have not done this before, and am wondering if there is a video or something to guide me thru what i need to do to change the battery.

As i was looking online for people with the same problem, i did find that i need a Maxell ML-1220 3volt rechargeable battery, but do not know if they are available at bestbuy or something like that or if i have to order it online.

any help is appreciated greatly. thank you in advance....

A:CMOS Battery for hp laptop?

The CMOS battery may be located under the keyboard or accessed under a "door" on the bottom of the laptop. Taking the laptop to a repair center might be a wise thing to do

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cmos-battery-for-hp-laptop.124344/
Relevancy 73.53%

Dell InspironB130 will not boot and power. I tested the power supply and power plug look good. I have been reading on different web site, some people have problem with cmos battery going bad. They replace the battery and it the booting problem. The laptop is nine years old, and I test cmos battery, it has three voltage. However, can see cmos battery still be bad..

Thank You!
rick

Relevancy 72.67%

I have an HP Pavillion laptop? problem hp in cmos battery ze laptop only about a cmos battery problem in hp laptop? year old that will not keep the accurate time when it is turned off It also seems to lose settings for some programs bookmarks in the web browser and passwords and settings in other cmos battery problem in hp laptop? programs It keeps good time while it is on but resets back to a m Jan after shutdown so I don t think its a problem with the real time clock I checked cmos battery problem in hp laptop? with HP Support and they recommended a bios updgrade which I did I even did a clean reinstallation of Win XP Home Edition SP but neither solved the problem We ve had this problem ever since we got the computer I suspect it is a bad cmos battery and I ve read elsewhere that its not uncommon for these laptops to come of the assembly line with bad cmos batteries Does this sound right I ve changed cmos batteries in desktops but not in a laptop I downloaded the service manual but there s nothing in it about changing the cmos battery I believe I read somewhere that you need to remove the keyboard to get to it Once the keyboard is out is it just unplugging the old battery and installing the new one or do you have more parts to remove to get to it What should I expect to spend for a new cmos battery I haven t had much luck finding any on the Internet We have about three weeks until the warranty is up so should I just send it back to HP and hope they can fix it Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions nbsp

A:cmos battery problem in hp laptop?

Good Morning Bob, these batteries should last at least eighteen months, although your description would appear to be a battery problem it is a little premature.
There is a possibility that some element of the clock and CMOS circuit could have some problem and is using excessive current thus producing this effect.
Some of these battery holders also can break when an unknowing person tries to remove a battery, some can be quite tricky.
It would therefore make more sense to return the machine for warranty repair.
Cheers, qldit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery-problem-in-hp-laptop.427909/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi;
I have a 11yr old Dell Inspiron 8100 Notebook computer. It started shutting down mysteriously while working, and sometimes shuts down a second or two after powering on.
I was planning to scrap the thing, maybe try to sell it for parts on Ebay, but decided to take one more look.
Today I found that the CMOS battery (reserve battery) is bad. It is leaking but has not damaged anything.
Could the fact that this battery is bad (maybe shorted) cause the computer to shut down as I described?
Since I have the whole thing dis-assembled I can replace the battery easily. I found them on Ebay but not sure I should buy one there, since it could be an old battery that is no good.
Any ideas?

Thanks

FW

A:Can bad CMOS battery cause laptop to shut down?

The CPU cooling fan may be worn out and the thermal pads and paste may be seriously burned and dried out. I doubt if the laptop parts would be worth much because of the age...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-bad-cmos-battery-cause-laptop-to-shut-down.189440/
Relevancy 71.81%

I need to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard of my Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop. Does anyone have instructions on opening the case to access the battery?
I have been able to get the case open enough to access the Hard Drive but can't figure out how to get all of the way to the battery which, I believe, is very near the back of the unit under the hinges to the screen.
If I were able to remove the screen, I might be able to get that part of the case apart.
Suggestions please,
Thanks,
Pilithigh

Relevancy 71.81%

Hi,

I need to know what type of CMOS Battery is in the Asus N61Ja-JX046X laptop, because I need to replace it

Anyone here able to tell me what type it is?

ps. I've already done all the research and this is the only solution. Please do not reply with something like 'i advise against it', post if you can help me out someway, otherwise please just don't post. Thanks

A:Asus N61Ja laptop CMOS Battery

cannot find out any specifics on the CMOS battery--nor it's specific location.

you'll need to open the laptop, locate the battery--the number 'should' be on the top side of it--if you're not comfortable dismantling your machine--a shop would be useful.

you could try contacting asus about the specific battery #

try this address

[email protected]

I did find this guide--it's for a different model--but--process should be similar--see step 16 as it seems asus puts the cmos under the palmrest

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to...s-k53u-laptop/

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/250793-asus-n61ja-laptop-cmos-battery.html
Relevancy 71.81%

hello:

I "inherited" an NEC Versa laptop, model 4230. We finally got it up and running but I think we need to replace the CMOS button battery (I get a "System battery is dead" error message). I have the right size/current/voltage battery but cannot access the board. I realize I may have to solder leads on the battery to secure it properly to the board. Is there a special NEC tool to take this cartridge/mother board out? There is a lock/unlock icon next to a small hole of this cartridge. All of the other cartridges do not have this oval shaped hole. What shape is the tool? How can I change my battery w/out getting to this board?

Thanks in advance,
PamK in San Jose, CA

A:replacement of CMOS battery in NEC Versa laptop

The "lock/unlock" symbol next to an "oval hole" sounds very much like the standard Kensington Lock provision on a laptop.

This is for attaching a locking cable to lock the PC to a desk, and prevent theft. Its not a lock to get access internally for the laptop.

The "system battery" will be the little button cell or similar that is located on the motherboard of the laptop, probably deep within the internals.

Taking a laptop apart (and getting it back together) without damaging the laptop can be a complex and difficult operation, and you really need the full service manual to find out how its done for that model. I would suggest taking it to a shop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacement-of-cmos-battery-in-nec-versa-laptop.257349/
Relevancy 71.81%

i recently bought a used hp dv laptop thats worked great up until last week when it started freezing overheating unusual battery cmos in hp laptop and not booting up again i believe its due to overheating but suspected the cmos battery needed to be changed when i opened the computer up it doesnt look the the ones in any diagram unusual cmos battery in overheating hp laptop or video and has me confused all the ones ive seen have a wire with the battery in a coating but in mine the battery is bare and stuck in a little plastic holder and i cant figure out how to release the battery ive taken it back to the place i got it from for repairs twice the first time i took it home it didnt work for more than a minute before freezing and not booting properly the second time i took it back it worked for a day or two then froze i got it to boot up after freezing for about min before freezing again and not booting up any ideas nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unusual-cmos-battery-in-overheating-hp-laptop.961255/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi all For the last several weeks my Dell Latitude E has been having an extremely weird and frustrating boot issue When I turn the power on the system attempts to initialize everything but stops before POSTing and powers off afterwards With no power adapter plugged in it would attempt to boot and shut down five seconds later With the power adapter connected it turns off after about seconds of which are spent hearing the processor fan going at full speed and illuminates all three keyboard lights leaving only the NUM LOCK one blinking Sometimes it would boot by me pressing the power button a bunch of times Today s trail of fail lasted minutes before it booted That s minutes of pressing the Laptop does CMOS reseated. battery the is not POST...unless power button every to seconds Most times though it boots if I reseat the CMOS battery I experience no erratic issues afterwards A memory test reported no errors and nothing appears Laptop does not POST...unless the CMOS battery is reseated. in the BIOS log except for the hard power-off events Side note This really made me pine for ISA graphics cards those usually picked up these sorts of things I was issued a replacement motherboard for this issue which worked for about two weeks before the problem resurfaced They just sent me a motherboard CPU heatsink fan combo an expansion card that seems to be for the southbridge RAM and a power adapter to try replacing While I m going to get to that tomorrow I was wondering if anyone here experienced this sort of problem For those that did what was the root cause of it and what Laptop does not POST...unless the CMOS battery is reseated. did you do to resolve it Thanks for reading I know this ran long but I ve never seen this sort of issue in my years of experience nbsp

A:Laptop does not POST...unless the CMOS battery is reseated.

Did you try a new cmos battery?
Sounds like that one might be weak or dead causing improper
hardware detection problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-does-not-post-unless-the-cmos-battery-is-reseated.956076/
Relevancy 71.81%

I bought a cheap laptop off craigslist recently and when I say cheap I mean cheap There were no problems with it that I can tell so far other than the Date amp Time do not save and after restarting the computer it resets to CMOS Laptop? Replacing Solved: in the a battery Jan The only thing that I could find related to this issue is replacing the CMOS battery I ve never had to replace one so I know nothing about it especially not on a laptop The model of the laptop is HP Compaq b - I ve googled various things related to replacing the CMOS battery what battery to buy where the battery is located and I ve found no results thus why I m posting here To the point of the topic Is it the CMOS battery that needs replaced Where is the CMOS battery located Is it hard to replace a CMOS battery in a laptop How do I find out which battery I should buy Solved: Replacing the CMOS battery in a Laptop? Where should I buy the battery Should I just take this laptop to my brother-in law who works for Geek-squad and save myself from being unable to put the laptop back together Help is appreciated thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 71.81%

Does anyone know what number battery,goes in my Laptop,and where I can get one??????????????????????
Ive contacted HP by phone,they went into there supply room,dont know the number or battery type that goes into this Laptop.
Ive made inquiries at verious computor stores,and Technicians,for the past month,nobody knows the answer

A:CMOS Clock Battery-HP Laptop Ze4910us

Here is what they call for the battery

371785-001
Battery (Primary) - 6-cell lithium-ion (Li-Ion), 11.1VDC, 4.4Ah, 48Wh
REQUIRES RETURN OF DEFECTIVE PART
371785-001N New part for 371785-001

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/sp...callingsite=&strsrch=&keysel=Battery&catsel=?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-clock-battery-hp-laptop-ze4910us.668964/
Relevancy 70.95%

Help! How does one open a Presario 1070 Laptop (circa 1996, "1000 series", Pentium 133MHz) to get at the RTC battery?
...acellier

A:Compaq Presario 1070 Laptop CMOS battery

Well I know my laptop RTC battery is in the same place as my memory just need to take out 4 screws out a bottom panel.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/compaq-presario-1070-laptop-cmos-battery.402343/
Relevancy 70.95%

When booting an E-system 3080 laptop running Windows XP SP3 the boot procedure stops at the checking ram etc page and at the bottom is the message...

CMOS battery low - press F1.

I have had a look to see I can access the CMOS battery by removing any panels on the base such as the RAM, Hard drive etc. but looks like it requires more disassembly.

I think E-System machines are Dixons/ PC World's own brand and can't really find a lot of info online on Youtube or Google.

Please can any one provide information on how to access the CMOS battery on this machine. Thanks.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/laptop-support/127077-e-system-3080-laptop-replacing-cmos-battery.html
Relevancy 70.95%

When booting an E-system 3080 laptop running Windows XP SP3 the boot procedure stops at the checking ram etc page and at the bottom is the message...

CMOS battery low - press F1.

I have had a look to see I can access the CMOS battery by removing any panels on the base such as the RAM, Hard drive etc. but looks like it requires more disassembly.

I think E-System machines are Dixons/ PC World's own brand and can't really find a lot of info online on Youtube or Google.

Please can any one provide information on how to access the CMOS battery on this machine. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/e-system-3080-laptop-replacing-cmos-battery.1159222/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi out cuts battery power, on laptop battery good my girlfriend in Beijing has an Acer Aspire S latop She bought a new battery for it laptop cuts out on battery power, battery good a while back and told me it was no good I was in Beijing recently messing around with it and found that actually the battery is fine lasts for gt hours but when unplugged and running on battery power the laptop often just cuts out suddenly loss of power I took the battery out and had a look and cleaned all the connections but they seem fine The next part is the strange part and which I hope might give someone a clue as to what s going on When it cuts out it will never restart again unless the mains power cable is plugged back into the laptop As soon as that s done and the power button is pressed it starts up again and the cable can be taken out immediately I mean immediately - you can plug the cable in push the quot power on quot button and pull the cable back out in less than a second and it will start up and run fine on battery again until the next time it suddenly cuts out without warning Because any unsaved data is lost and because the laptop cannot restart without the power adaptor this very portable and light laptop is now reduced to having to be kept at home all the time and plugged in which is exactly the opposite of what she bought it for Anybody have any idea what the problem could be or suggest some tests that could be done to find out She took it to a local computer shop but the guys there had no idea Thanks in advance for any advice nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-cuts-out-on-battery-power-battery-good.1164783/
Relevancy 70.52%

My Dell Inspiron 1420 died recently and I got it fixed by Dell's Onsite Tech Support (which I was very satisfied with btw...). Basically my motherboard had died and the guy replaced it...he did mention that it would be advisable not to leave the laptop on for prolonged periods of time. So I was wondering does leaving the laptop on all the time really kill the motherboard?

A:Will keeping your laptop on all the time wreck the motherboard?

Like all electrical devices a motherboard has a certain life, the longer it's on the more chance problems can happen, eg. electrical problems, capacitors going etc.

The biggest problem i can see with leaving a laptop on all the time is when you move it you have a very high chance of damaging your harddrive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-keeping-your-laptop-on-all-the-time-wreck-the-motherboard.106049/
Relevancy 70.09%

Recently in the process of upgrading my Dell laptop the plastic cover of the CMOS battery broke off I held the battery back into the casing with a sticker tape Laptop to turn Dell on change battery. fails of My CMOS after The system worked fine until I took the laptop to work some weeks after My Dell Laptop fails to turn on after change of CMOS battery. At work I pressed the power button to turn on the laptop but it wont turn on Absolutely no sign of power to the system no power led no sound or feeling at all When I noticed some noise inside the laptop I opened it and behold the button CMOS battery was no more in place I got back home and I fixed the tiny plastic that holds the battery to the casing with a little epoxy adhesive and used the opportunity to replace a new battery After coupling the machine back the condition remained the same Any assistance from this great forum would be appreciated to be able to get my laptop up and running again Thank you all in advance The Laptop is Dell Inspiron GB RAM ghz speed processor Win installed I have no My Dell Laptop fails to turn on after change of CMOS battery. reason to suspect the power pack everything looks fine nbsp

Relevancy 69.23%

After my friend's laptop wouldn't run on battery power OR charge the battery I tried many "fixes."

Shockingly none worked that I found.

Only one thing worked for me to my surprise.

A last ditch effort was to open up the laptop (sony pcg-81114L) and disconnect the cmos battery for a few minutes to reset the CMOS.

To my surprise, when powered on, the battery instantly showed it was charging AND when removing the power plug the battery POWERS the laptop now! (and I'd thought I was wasting my time.)

Worked with an off brand battery also.

Many times this has saved many computers that have odd "unsolvable" things wrong with them.

Surely someone else has done this also but I haven't seen it posted anywhere to my knowledge.

Thank GOD for bringing the idea to remembrance!

A:sony vaio won't charge battery or run on battery power (CMOS BATTERY FIX!)

Hi askfault,
Do you have any information on how this fixes the battery problem? would be interested to know.

Xen

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511609/sony-vaio-wont-charge-battery-or-run-on-battery-power-cmos-battery-fix/
Relevancy 66.65%

This is only happening about every 10 tenth time I start the computer. When the computer is turned on, a message is displayed (white text and black background) that the "CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad, CMOS Date/Time Note Set, Press <F4> to Run SETUP".
Windows XP is started and the time for the computer is set to January 1, 2002 01:00AM. I can manually change the date/time in Windows to the correct time. However, this is happening only occasionally. How can I prevent this from happening?
I have ran anti-virus scan and no viruses were found. Also, downloaded the latest version of Adaware and Spybot Search & Destroy and scanned the computer, nothing was found. Ran Disk Defragmenter and ScanDisk and no errors were found.

A:Solved: CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad, CMOS Date/Time Not Set - Only happens sometimes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cmos-gpnv-checksum-bad-cmos-date-time-not-set-only-happens-sometimes.379205/
Relevancy 65.36%

Wow, I just realized today, my laptop battery has been running for a little more than 3 years. I'm impressed. Anyone else got some long ones also?

A:Good laptop battery!

I have 2 dell d600. for one of them I had to replace the battery after a little more than 2 years but the other one becomes 4 years in march and the battery does still work round about 2hrs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/good-laptop-battery.96791/
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi. I don't know if this is really something that can be labelled "general support", but I am looking for a laptop with around 4-6 hours of battery, and one that is thin, not bulky (the laptop, not the battery). Does anyone know of good brands to look for that have good batteries, and if they're cheap? Maybe around the $300-600 range? What brands should I stay away from? I would just need a laptop that can run 1080p youtube streams and everyday use. Nothing big like video editing, gaming or movies. Just streaming and internet use with a good battery.

A:Looking to buy a laptop with a good battery?

Hi, Welcome to Eight forums.

check out this link. 15.6" Pavilion Laptop 4GB Memory 500GB Hard Drive g6-1d48dx - Best Buy

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/36755-looking-buy-laptop-good-battery.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have just replaced my CMOS/BIOS battery today, as , I have faced some critical problem regarding regular BIOS date/time reset after system shutdown. But I want to know how do i recognize, that my new batter is totally ok or functional.

Battery Meter gadget shows that "battery Not charging"
Is it a gadget problem?

Is there any method available so that I can track that my new installed CMOS battery in PC is working fine?

Please help me.

A:Battery Meter shows CMOS battery not charging

The battery you have replaced is solely there to maintain the clock and other BIOS settings (if you have changed them from their defaults). It will not prevent you from booting your system if it is dead/missing; all it means is that you will have to enter the BIOS each time and make the correct settings and time. This battery is not rechargeable.

Do you still have to enter the correct time, or is the BIOS maintaining this now you've changed the battery?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/268054-battery-meter-shows-cmos-battery-not-charging.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Been working fine until a few days ago. When I turn it on it says 163 - Time and Date not set - There is no option in bios to set date Non-System disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready - Bios cannot detect hard drive So the question is if the RTC Battery is weak or dead can it cause above issues Thanks Chris

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Question-about-RTC-Battery-CMOS-Battery-and-System-Errors/td-p/5804426
Relevancy 64.07%

I need to find a replacement battery for my DELL Inspiron 3800 Laptop.

I did a Froogle search but there are so many to choose from.

Anyone have any suggestions where to find the best deal or where not to go please post here.

...Thanks...

A:Where do I find a good deal on a laptop battery?

Generally I buy parts from www.newegg.com.

Not always the cheapest but they are generally pretty close. They carrry quality products and their customer service has been top notch everytime I have needed it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/where-do-i-find-a-good-deal-on-a-laptop-battery.211192/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello,

I've been quite confused lately...Ever since I bought a new laptop, people kept telling me to take off the laptop battery once in a while and let it run solely on the charger/cable. They say that this could reduce the chances of overheating and could maintain a longer battery life. However, there have been others who say that it's actually bad to do so

Is it best to keep the laptop running with battery or not?

A:Is taking off the laptop battery a good idea?

The only guide lines I know of is to charge the battery up to 100% and then let it run out before charging it again so as to let the cells expand.

Can't see a problem not using the battery either though,its just a different power supply entry.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/156992-taking-off-laptop-battery-good-idea.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi there First off let me apologise I am RUBBISH with computers I have an acer aspire Its about years old I installed windows about a year ago I have noticed a couple of problems just recently First off I noticed my laptop was not holding its on Help computers. with battery good not - Troublesome laptop? charge for very long when unplugged I must admit I Help - not good with computers. Troublesome battery on laptop? used to keep it plugged in over night which maybe why it is so worn out now I then began getting notifications telling me I should consider replacing my battery I now have to keep it plugged in when I want to use it When I unplug the charger the battery life lasts for minutes - literally The battery symbol at the bottom right has a red cross in it and when I hover it tells me to replace my battery Also I find that it overheats quite quickly now and it gets quite scarily hot so I tend to turn it off now and again to let it cool down Is this just a simple case of getting a new battery Does anybody know where I can get one from I don't want to buy a random one of the internet because I really don't want my laptop to break Also Earlier today I was looking on the internet trying to solve the problem myself I noticed on a website somebody having a similar problem and somebody had replied telling them to run command prompt I followed the instructions for an quot energy report quot On command prompt it told me energy efficiency problems were found errors warnings and informational I then opened the html and this is what it told me Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report Computer NameJODIE-PCScan Time - - T ZScan Duration seconds System ManufacturerAcerSystem Product NameAspire BIOS Date BIOS VersionV OS Build Platform RolePlatformRoleMobilePlugged IntrueProcess Count Thread Count Report GUID ff e-d e - d - be-f c f Analysis Results Errors USB Suspend USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use Device NameUSB Root HubHost Controller IDPCI VEN amp DEV Host Controller LocationPCI bus device function Device IDUSB VID amp PID Port Path USB Suspend USB Device not Entering Suspend The USB device did not enter the Suspend state Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use Device NameUSB Mass Storage DeviceHost Controller IDPCI VEN amp DEV Host Controller LocationPCI bus device function Device IDUSB VID BDA amp PID Port Path CPU Utilization Processor utilization is high The average processor utilization during the trace was high The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization Average Utilization Battery Last Full Charge The battery stored less than of the Designed Capacity the last time the battery was fully charged Battery ID SIMPLOAS A Design Capacity Last Full Charge Last Full Charge Warnings Power Policy Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance Plugged In The current power policy for -compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes CPU Utilization Individual process with significant processor utilization This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace Process Nameekrn exePID Average Utilization Module Average Module Utilization SystemRoot system ntkrnlpa exe Device HarddiskVolume Windows System kernel dll CPU Utilization Individual process with significant processor utilization This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace Process NameSearchFilterHost exePID Average Utilization Module Average Module Utilization SystemRoot system ntkrnlpa exe Windows System mf dll Device HarddiskV... Read more

A:Help - not good with computers. Troublesome battery on laptop?

jodie7777,
Welcome to SF. Two years is a short period of time to be needing a new battery but not so crazy as it being your only real option. Check with Acer and see if there are any recall issues or problems being reported on your series of laptop. The heat concerns me as the cells are not taking a good charge and just creating heat. If Acer has no discounted/warranty recommendations then you will need to replace it or leave it out while running on AC power.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/186032-help-not-good-computers-troublesome-battery-laptop.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 running Vista which has been passed back to me by a family member since it no longer booted. The battery was not only dead but was down to 2.2 Volts from the original (nominal) 10.8 Volts. The laptop will not power up from the AC adapter whether the battery is installed or not.

I replaced the battery, battery pack PA3465U-1BRS, pluged in the adapter and got the following results:

- laptop booted
- the blue AC power LED was lit
- the yellow battery indicator was lit
- the battery icon, displayed charging
- the percent charge of the battery was slowly going down.

I measured the voltage at the adapter while the laptop was running, it was 19.4 Volts. The device is marked 19V.

I've saved a few files and now replacement battery is at 0% capacity.

many thanks in advance,

Tony

A:Toshiba laptop battery good, but not charging

The motherboard charging circuit/control is damaged. I don't know if it is a separate board or if it is integraded into the motherboard... You will have to take it in for service

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-laptop-battery-good-but-not-charging.114482/
Relevancy 63.21%

You know what they say about good, fast and cheap. You can have only two; take your choice.

I want an extended capacity battery for a Sony Vaio VGN-NR120E laptop -- good and cheap. I'm finding batteries in the range of 4400- to 5200mAh, which is the factory stock range; but, I want one in the range of 7800- to 8800mAh. I've about given up on 8800 because every time I find one and check out the company, I find some really nightmarish war stories about the company and their products. I'm beginning to think 8800 is a pipe dream/scam and there is really no such thing.

So now I'm down to 7800, hoping to find a reputable company/brand for $100 or less. I'll go more if I have to.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've spent enough hours on this that I am now asking for help.

A:Solved: Need a laptop battery, good, cheap and fast

I've had a good experience with these guys.
http://www.laptoptraveller.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-need-a-laptop-battery-good-cheap-and-fast.985954/
Relevancy 63.21%

my battery show that it good and shows a 90% charge  but will not power the laptop or charge  it says plug in not charging if i pull the power cord out it shuts off

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/battery-still-good-but-wond-charge-or-power-laptop/td-p/5640791
Relevancy 62.35%

hi,

i'm searching to buy a laptop and wanted to know when the best time to purchase one would be. i've waited pretty long and been putting it off. but since the holiday season is coming and the year is coming to an end, aren't companies gonna introduce new lines and products?

i've read a little about the Windows XP Media Center 2004. btw, is it out yet? should i wait for MCE 2004 or for something else? how else can i know when companies are going to release new products, or OS, or softwares?

i don't know if i should buy now or next year. any suggestions? and as always i want to get my money's worth!

thanks

Relevancy 61.92%

90% of the time my laptop will not turn on when the battery is installed. When it does, it runs fine. It does, however, turn on every time if I only have the power plug connected without the battery installed.Is it shutting down incorrectly?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Most-of-the-time-my-laptop-will-not-turn-on-when-the-battery/td-p/5699889
Relevancy 61.92%

Besides setting power options, is there anything one can do to increase laptop battery run time?

I'm sure having sufficient memory will result in fewer hard disk accesses so that should have some effect on battery time.

When selecting a replacement hard disk, is there anything to look for in one or another that will affect battery time? It would seem a lower spin rate would use less battery power; but, would it, really?

Is there anything else?

Relevancy 61.92%

The battery (which keeps the clock correct time)in my laptop (samsung V20) died a while ago
so have took it out and its a Sony CR2025.

The problem i have is i can find a replacement battery
no problem but cant find one with the wires attached.

I take it they come made like this or is there a way of
re-attaching the wires to a new battery.
Any help will be most appreciated.

Relevancy 61.49%

I have a P50.  Even though the battery is fully charged when I turn it off when I go to use the laptop a few days later, it is completely dead.  Any one have any suggestions? Thanks!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Battery-Dead-Every-Time-I-Start-Laptop/td-p/3445346
Relevancy 61.49%

Hey guys Beginning with here is a rundown of my laptop specifications RUNNING WINDOWS XPS M Intel Core Duo T GHz Mhz M battery New laptop etc... messes up date/time, L Cache Matte Black Casing XPS M GB New laptop battery messes up date/time, etc... DDR MHz Dimm New laptop battery messes up date/time, etc... for XPS M Inch Wide Screen WXGA TL WLED Backlit LCD with New laptop battery messes up date/time, etc... Camera MB NVIDIA GeForce M GS WHr -cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery BIOS Revision A Okay so it's been over a year and my cell battery is beginning to die out I ordered a replacement battery from eBay rather than Dell I'm a college student and paying sounded better than paying Anyways I bought a cell battery for my XPS So here's what happens when I plug in the new battery AC Charger with NO battery Computer runs perfectly fine AC Charger with battery Computer runs perfectly fine Battery with NO AC charger Problems When I plugged in just the battery alone I went into BIOS and saw that the system's date and time were screwed up it was showing some weird date in the year With this new battery sometimes the hard drive wouldn't load For example when I turn my computer on I can hear the hard drive spinning but after a couple of seconds the whole system just freezes I initially thought it was a problem with my hard drive since a screen kept coming up saying that some of the Windows files were corrupt I did a clean install of Windows and even tried Vista but still nothing With Vista the date and time would still mess up and sometimes nothing would load I even tried system restoring after booting from the CD drive but I received an error message that I had no shadow copies to restore from I tried starting up with another hard drive but still had the same issues Right now I'm using my old battery and I get the message quot Consider Replacing Your Battery quot Can anyone help shed some light on this issue Does the problem seem to be with the new battery Any and all help will be appreciated Thank you

A:New laptop battery messes up date/time, etc...

Have you installed Dell Quickset (which has some smart battery control funtions)? Is a Genuine Dell battery? I've seen similar problems due solely to using generic batteries in the M1330.
Tom

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44333-new-laptop-battery-messes-up-date-time-etc.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi I have an HP Pavilion dv4 and i noticed that when i move the mouse cursor over the battery icon in the system tray. It only displays percantage of battery, not displays the time remaing of how long my battery life is. So, Is there a setting somwhere or something I can do to make it appear?

Thanks

A:Missing Battery Time Display ? Time Remaing on Battery

Quote: Originally Posted by yutada

Hi I have an HP Pavilion dv4 and i noticed that when i move the mouse cursor over the battery icon in the system tray. It only displays percantage of battery, not displays the time remaing of how long my battery life is. So, Is there a setting somwhere or something I can do to make it appear?

Thanks

go to start menu search type in notification select notification then select icons you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/48390-missing-battery-time-display-time-remaing-battery.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,

I am running XP Home SP3 on an Asus 1005HA netbook

Every time I boot up I get a message to say that either I can press F1 to enter setup to set date/time or press F2 to load default values

If I choose F1 and enter the correct date/time and press F10 to save and exit - XP then starts up normally but the next time I boot up, the same problem occurs.

[If I select F2, then XP loads normally]

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks for any help in advance

A:Solved: CMOS Set date/time message every time I boot up

Your motherboard battery is dead. You can get a new one at any drug store for about $5.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cmos-set-date-time-message-every-time-i-boot-up.1006063/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me with this as I have no idea battery! date/time Samsung laptop not - resets bios what could be causing this I have played Samsung laptop date/time resets - not bios battery! with it so much I can be fairly precise about its behaviour so please excuse me if I overdo it on the description I have a Samsung RC- less than a year old which resets the time and date back to oct when rebooted This only occurs if its been of for more than seconds any less and it remembers I immediately assumed a dead BIOS battery was to blame and because the customer wrongly lead me to believe it was within warranty I dissasembled the laptop and replaced it This did not solve the problem So here are the other things I have tried Reset BIOS back to default Updated to 'Firmware' via windows installer Replaced hard drive ram and removed optical drive clutching straws Tried with battery out without mains power Reset the time in Windows Here are some things I have noticed To test whether or not the BIOS was resetting I changed the lower boot orders from USB FDD USB HDD NETWORK to NETWORK USB FDD USB HDD This does not change so as far as I know only the time and date do If the time date reset laptop off for more than secs then the laptop does not start properly st time Instead I get a blank screen and the power led lights and that's it for secs After that the power button led comes on and I hear the optical drive engage but still nothing on screen So then I have to hold the power button down for secs to power off and then as long as I'm faster than secs press the power button to find it turns on and boots to windows as normal So does this ring a bell with anyone Maybe I should take the BIOS battery out again and leave it overnight with no power to completely reset it Can't see how this could be hardware Very strange

A:Samsung laptop date/time resets - not bios battery!

if i recall removing the battery and leaving it for 15-30 min does a hard reset or some such.

odd behaviour indeed though, have you checked for root kits?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/249586-samsung-laptop-date-time-resets-not-bios-battery.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Laptop is sager np i - HQ GB RAM Samsung Evo Series GB Intel Iris Pro Graphics Intel Dual Band AC When i Doesn't Wears I7 Laptop Battery Time Show Out Quickly Quadcore and first got the laptop many months ago it was pretty fast Quadcore I7 Laptop Battery Doesn't Show Time and Wears Out Quickly Battery was pretty good as well not charged Now not only is the battery much worst sometimes i see it would go from say then few minutes later my laptop would shut off completely This never happened before because still would be minutes or so left Then i have the you have and then battery left so I then go and charge it Quadcore I7 Laptop Battery Doesn't Show Time and Wears Out Quickly quickly Not only that but now it never shows how many hours are remaining whether charged or uncharged It would show back then say and say hours remaining etc Even when its battery it would show minute left Now it doesn't show any minutes left and the battery wears out very quickly Can someone tell me what i can do to check if anything Also i never removed my laptop from the sager np because you need a screwdriver to remove it unlike my other laptops which you Quadcore I7 Laptop Battery Doesn't Show Time and Wears Out Quickly can just take the old battery out The only thing i can say is back when i got the laptop i didnt play poker at all but since i been playing again i been using it heavily with lot of programs I got this laptop mainly b c its and very fast i quad core And not only do i have battery problems the laptop now is much much slower than when i first got it I had posted logs of it earlier in my other thread but i didnt get reply back I like to know however why my battery is like this now Got it from xoticpc

A:Quadcore I7 Laptop Battery Doesn't Show Time and Wears Out Quickly

Hi Pauly -

I'm not that familar with Sager but is there a battery software that's preinstalled by them in addition to the Win7 Power Options? Look through your All-Programs list at every listing to see if you can find it, open and look at all the settings to see if there's anything that could help you. If in doubt post back a screenshot of the available settings so we can help you choose. Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums - Windows 7 Forums

If not in the Win7 Power Options, choose a Balanced Plan with Default settings. Power Plan Settings - Change

Run for awhile to see the difference, but if the problem persists I would check online with Sager to see if there is a battery recall or notice which is not uncommon. Laptop batteries can last for as little as a year, and rarely last for more than 3 years unless they come with a setting that extends battery life like my Lenovo that keeps it charged only to 60% when its plugged in.

In addition to getting control of the battery using every available setting in software or Win7 Power Options, sluggish performance can be due to bloatware or accumulated programs starting on Win7's back. I'd establish a Clean Boot right off which can regain a lot of performance, then work gradually through the other steps to Clean Up Factory Bloatware.

If that isn't enough go over the PC thoroughly following the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.

And if this is the original factory install, you may be overdue for a Clean Reinstall Windows 7 which is almost always better than getting a new PC considering that they come with all the larded-on bloatware which causes users to never even experience Win7's native perfect performance. So there is the chance to go from worst to the very best with our help, as have over a million others without a single complaint.

Sager NP2740 Review

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/361828-quadcore-i7-laptop-battery-doesnt-show-time-wears-out-quickly.html
Relevancy 58.91%

Hallo I purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop months ago Approximately one month ago the laptop clock started malfunctioning Whenever I switch off battery laptop Dell too issues maintenance fast Computer time/clock and the machine for a few hours e g during nighttime when I sleep the timer shown is way ahead when I switch it on For instance if I switch my machine at pm Computer time/clock too fast Dell laptop and battery maintenance issues when I set computer clock to pm when I wake up in the morning at am the computer clock shows pm on the same day The timer moves more ahead whenever I switch it off Even after I re-set the clock the same problem will manifest itself when I switch it off Is this a software or hardware problem and how can I fix this Also I am curious concerning the best way to enable laptop battery have a longer life Should one option always connect the laptop to the main power whenever one has access to the mains power even if the battery is full or should one option fully charge the battery disconnect the laptop from main power and use the battery charge and then wait for battery power to get finished so that one can then re-charge battey using main power Which is the better option Please respond to my queries as soon as possible and I shall be infinitely grateful Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Computer time/clock too fast Dell laptop and battery maintenance issues

Paragraph 1. I'd say HardWare and therefore warranty !

Paragraph 2. Leave the power in with the battery in

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-time-clock-too-fast-dell-laptop-and-battery-maintenance-issues.96228/
Relevancy 58.48%

I fully charged my battery and have stored it seperately because i always use my laptop by plugged in power.and because then the battery gets no heat. By storing the battery seperately does it affect the life of the battery?,it affects negatively or positively to the battery?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Does-keeping-battery-away-affects-the-life-of-it/td-p/5846662
Relevancy 58.05%

I need to replace the CMOS battery.  What battery number, e.g. 2302, or part number am I looking for? Thank you.

A:CMOS battery

Hi: You would replace the CMOS battery with the CR2032 3V battery. You can get that battery almost at any store.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/CMOS-battery/td-p/5755485
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi guys and gals, quick question. I have a HP Pavilion G7 laptop that was giving me some cmos error messages so after some ridiculously rigorous searching, I found the battery. My question is, does the numbers on the battery mean anything? Meaning, ive found HP pavilion Gy batteries on line for sale but the numbers on the sticker on the rubber housing dont seem to match. Im wondering if that is just the warehouses part ID. This one says, "1126. 12." If anyone is familiar with these please let me know. Thanks

Bob

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.1169877/
Relevancy 58.05%

I Have an old 166 Pentiun computer with a i430vx mainboard. My problem is that the CMOS battery is dying and from what I could find on the net, it is enclosed in a discontinued Houston Tech HT12888A RTC chip. Some of the info on the internet says that you can open the chip and change the battery though it may be soldered in place and other sources say to replace the motherboard. Also will an add in card containing a clock also power the CMOS. I leave the computer on all the time and it runs fine but when I shut it down and reboot I lose time and have started getting a checksum error/CMOS battery failed message. I have another computer and would like to give this to my son and would hate to scrap a good machine for a $3.00 battery. Any info on this problem would be greatly appriciated.

A:CMOS Battery

Well I could understand not wanting to scrap the system due to a battery. There are several options you could look in to. 1. you could purchase a new mother board( for under $100) install it and actually have expansion room for later, or 2. You could scrap the system and keep it to use its parts as test parts or replacement parts for another computer. If it was me that faced this problem I'd look at a new motherboard first maybe you could even find a good used one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.58228/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi guys My computer just started having this problem since Christmas I ve had this mobo since and this is the first time when I switch on the comp it gives me thsese messages randomly quot CMOS CMOS battery low, help? battery low quot quot Error loading drive A quot quot Error boot sequence quot quot Press F to continue or F to enter setup quot I went into the BIOS and it is always set at factory default settings even when I attempt to change them to the previous settings I had It gives me a message that says that because the CMOS battery is low my date and time and other BIOS settings will be reset to default then gives me the error boot sequence msg and still continues to load windows and desktop is messed up a bit but otherwise quot normal quot except for the sys tray that s missing icons I have never really encountered this situation before but the solution seems straightforward replace the CMOS battery only that I CMOS battery low, help? don t know where to find it I ve tried tigerdirect ca newegg ca and even a local computer store but they don t have it on their website My mobo is an CMOS battery low, help? OEM Lenovo J - ASUS M A-VM with a G chipset amp AM socket What additional details do you need to know what CMOS battery I need to buy and if possible any websites I can go to in order to find it preferrably CMOS battery low, help? Canadian due to shipping costs but I don t mind US Also my OS is win RC although that might not be relevant I really appreciate any help you can provide nbsp

A:CMOS battery low, help?

CMOS batteries are almost always CR 2032 basically a button battery taht is a available in most big box stores or electronic store. Take the side of the case off and see if you can locate

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cmos-battery-low-help.140717/
Relevancy 58.05%

What happen when I put cmos battery in motherboard dell 745 it cannot start!!!its new battery...anyone to help me please?

A:Cmos battery

Check and make sure the battery seated correctly. Also make sure you did not jar your memory loose. This will prevent . The computer from booting also.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cmos-battery.205091/
Relevancy 58.05%

Want to change my CMOS battery....what will I lose while it's out ? What will I have to reset other than the time and date ?KENNY

Relevancy 58.05%

I just tried to install a new battery and broke the spring clip part of the socket. Is there a remedy? TIA, Brian

A:Cmos Battery

Unfortunately there really is no easy repair for this. It would require desoldering the old battery socket and soldering a new one in. While this is not rocket science, it does take great care and some skill to do. A minor slip or laving the soldering iron in place too long can do some real damage to a motherboard. It is best left to a technicial with the proper equipment and skill to do. I would consult your local computer shop about this repair. And it may take a referal to someone else.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.224836/
Relevancy 58.05%

wheres the lenovo ideapad y530 cmos battery located? anyone pls help. TY. i plan to reset my corrupt bios.

A:Cmos battery?

Anyone here who knows the location of cmos batt of lenovo ideapad y530.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cmos-battery.143332/
Relevancy 58.05%

CMOS battery

What happens and what is the danger to your computer if the CMOS battery dies?

The CMOS battery is a very low powered device, just like a little watch battery.

So don't stress, it ain't gonna kill you.

However, its needed to keep data in the CMOS. The CMOS tells the computer what processor is installed (although many computers have jumpers set to tell it this), what drives you have (diskette, hard disk, CD-ROM, and others, and importantly your hard drive's geometry), how much memory is installed, and other important data that your computer needs to know in order to run correctly....

I imagine what would happen if it completely ran out would be that the CMOS would have to be re-written to manually in your BIOS program every time the machine was powered on for anything like normal operating to occur. Certainly you would loose the time settings and would have to redirect the BIOS to redetect the hard drives everytime you powered on.

You can replace a CMOS battery quickly and easily. They are very cheap and just clip out and in to the motherboard. It resembles a small silver disc about the size of a coin.

This is assuming that your computer is not totally ancient (like a 8088, 8086, maybe 286 or something) where the CMOS battery was sometimes not removable. If this is the case then get a new computer you sad man..... Otherwise, it will cost you nothing to replace and if you are not sure of yourself a computer store will do it in about 1 minute.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cmos-battery.1477/
Relevancy 58.05%

Well im about to take out my CMOS battery and need to know if it will reset everything that ive downloaded or just my bioes settings will it reset my password for the admin?

If i remove the CMOS battery will it clear everything like a reformat?

Clearing the CMOS will only clear your BIOS settings like Boot order, CPU settings, stuff like that. It will not format anything, nor will it reset any passwords. Even if it is a bios password, most manufacturers make sure that it is a little harder then that to clear the password. If you have forgotten your password for windows it will not effect that but there are ways to do that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/178553/cmos-battery/
Relevancy 58.05%

I HAVE A ACER ASPIRE LAPTOP 7551-3068,  FIRST IT WOULDNT POWER UP SO i CHANGED THE EXTERNAL BATTERY AND THE POWER SUPPLY CORD. NOW IT POWERS UP BUT IT BLINKS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE WINDOWS STATUP AND IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO BOOT UP. ON SEVERAL SITES IT SAYS TO CHANGE THE CMOS BATTERY, WHERE IS THIS LOCATED?

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/CMOS-BATTERY/td-p/437340/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 58.05%

Wife has a compaq S4100NX that on more than one occasion has lost the tiem by one hr.(went backwards). So I started looking for a cmos battery and MUCH to my surprise, there isn't one on the MB. I thought all MB's has a cmos battery ????

Any different idea(s) on why it looses time ?

Relevancy 58.05%

could someone tell me where the cmos batter is in a dell inspiron 3800

A:cmos battery

Welcome to TechSpot! Hope you'll love this place as much as I do.

If you haven't already done it, then open up your case and look around on the motherboard for a shiny round thing that's about 1.5cm in diameter, pull it out off it's socket and there you go.
It should be near your PCI-ports or near your CMOS-jumper.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cmos-battery.63994/
Relevancy 58.05%

would it be a bad idea to replace the cmos battery in a desktop computer while it is powered on? i want to do this because it would prevent the loss of any information such as system time and some bios settings (boot sequence).

Yes.....a Bad Idea.......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.543571/
Relevancy 58.05%

My CPU clock was messing up constintly on my so I wanted to change out the battery. I did that with no difficulty. When I restarted my computer all that happined was that it beeped at me the code was.. 2 quick then 9. My computer is know a fancy paper weight I can't even boot from a disk, cd or floppy)There is no signal going to the monitor I have a Matsonic Ms6260s motherboard.
Help!!

Relevancy 58.05%

I was having a problem with the computer keeping time while it was shutoff. I installed a new cmos battery and the time is still not keeping when powered off. Any suggestions.

Relevancy 58.05%

Laptop is over seven yers old and is giving messages suggesting CMOS battery needs replacing. Considering it's age what would the battery look like. I have no mannual. I havn't got to see the whole motherbourd yet but can see this much. Is it there?

A:can you see cmos battery

Make and model may help someone to help you...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-you-see-cmos-battery.811281/
Relevancy 58.05%

I need to replace the CMOS battery in this older computer, and need to know the correct one to buy.  The HP website generic instructions and video shows that the battery is a 2032 , but I would like to be certain.  Can anyone tell me exactly which battery I need to buy?  Thanks.

Solved!
View Solution.

Hi, Yes, they are all the same 3V CR2032 which you can buy from many shops for few dollars. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/CMOS-battery/td-p/5751846
Relevancy 58.05%

I do not see a Cmos battery obviously its there somewhere, If it doesn't look like a large watch battery what else does it look like, I see nothing that can be popped off and replaced.

A:Cmos Battery??

Some older motherboards had a barrel shaped, blue backup battery soldered to the motherboard. That was common with 486 systems. In order to replace it, you were required to attach an external battery to a specific connector on the motherboard and set a jumper (maybe) to disable the original battery.
Another possibility is a CMOS ram chip with the battery built into it. Those usually were a large black chip plugged into a socket on the motherboard with "DALLAS SEMICONDUCTOR" printed on it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.42524/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi can someone help please I need to replace the CMOS battery in my laptop but have not had any look purchasing one all local retailers say they dont stock them even the one where I purcased the laptop from, I did get one from Amazon which said it was the correct one but when I recieved it it was a slightly different end to the cable so can someone advise please. The model is HP G62 Notebook & the battery is a CR2032HF-243V. Thanks Normski.

Norm. To better help you we would need the exact model number or product number of your laptop/desktop??? http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108 REO

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/CMOS-Battery/td-p/5672141
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a 486 mother board. When I boot up into DOS I get a message saying, CMOS BATTERY LOW. How do I replace it.

Crack the case open and look for it. THe older ones on 386 and 486 motherboards were some times integrated into the BIOS so you might be out of luck. Others had a small black pack that looked like 4 AAA batteries connected together and a red/black set of wires running to the motherboard....you can still get those.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.62977/
Relevancy 58.05%

my system clock slows down if I shutdown system. is it b'coz of my cmos battery is being low?
How do I find whether my system has a cmos battery?How will I know what type, who is the maker etc? How do I know whether it is getting low?can u suggest some softwares that check it? I am rather naive with hardware and has opened the motherboard only to clean it.My PC is 4 yrs old. Is there any problem if I don't change it other than system clock becoming low.If it is necessary to change cmos battery how much does it cost in rupees?

A:is cmos battery getting low

When you open your case you will see the CMOS battery on the motherboard. It resembles a watch battery. It is flat and round and looks almost a like a button. Just pop the battery out and off to Radio Shack or any other place that sells batteries for watches and other electronic devices. The first sign of a faulty CMOS battery is the system clock changing and not displaying or retaining the correct time.

Rollin

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-cmos-battery-getting-low.467534/
Relevancy 58.05%

i have an acer extensa 5620z which could only power on in few seconds then goes back off ,i did some research and i discovered that it was the cmos battery that was dead so i change hopping that every was going to be fine . when i plug the adaptor in to a power extension, first the pc came on automatically and when i shut it down to and couple it ,it could not come on again.so i discovered that each time i remove the cmos battery and put it back the machine will power on but once i shut it down and couple it will not come on even to show a light .so i dont know if there is a configuration that i need to do please help me

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

A dying CMOS battery shouldn't prevent booting. A dying power supply or battery on the other hand might.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cmos-battery-990625.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi everyone,
I have an NEC Versa 4230, with win95,133mhz notebook. When I turn it on it tells me the system battery is dead, and to replace it. Thing is I don't know where it is at or where to get one. Do places like circuit city sell them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks , JOE

Well I looked it up a NEC and the bad news is they say must be replaced by certified NEC site.

Either they just want to charge the money or it's not easy to do.

Could be soldered to motherboard instead of clip type which is a major pain.

Sorry, don't have any better info for you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.51797/
Relevancy 58.05%

Question Battery.... perhaps CMOS ? Does anyone know if a quot faulty quot CMOS Battery.... perhaps ? CMOS battery the CR type can stop a laptop working This is the sequence of events - Booted laptop from CMOS Battery.... perhaps ? standby as normal Logged in Everything working as usual for about minutes Then I stopped working on the laptop to talk to someone While we were talking I noticed the laptop screen suddenly went blank From that moment forth the little darling has been as dead as the Christmas turkey My experience with CMOS batteries that are about to go play a harp is that they indicate this by displaying the wrong date and time Even then it can take days or even weeks before CMOS Battery.... perhaps ? the battery finally gives up I used my last CR a few days ago so before I go trundling down to the shops I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if a quot deceased quot CR can make a laptop suddenly die I haven t seen that before TiA T nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,

Ive been working on this old computer and it had a bad CMOS battery. It was the kind where you put AA's into it and then it plugged into the motherboard. I replaced it, but now the hard drive settings are all screwed up. I went into the Bios Program to set everything. But none of the options matches the hard drive. I know for a fact that this computer worked before the cmos battery went dead. The options in BIOS you can only set to
Type 1, Type2, etc. There is no "USER" setting where you can just put in the numbers of heads/cylinders/sectors. What should i do?

If you have no user or auto settings try setting the bios to type one. Hopefully the drive was originally using a drive overlay and will boot ok with this setting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.53606/
Relevancy 58.05%

what is this error when i boot my cusin portable it doest boot immediately error appears as" bad cmos battery -error date & time. it says there that i need to choose either f2 (utilities bios or press f1 .when press f2 it goes straight to bios of course! but the best option is to press f1 so it will bot normaly to the xp windows OS specs is WIN XP SP1. Do we need to replace the cmos battery now.

A:Bad CMOS battery

Does it do this on every boot up? Have you tried going F2, after your in the bios hit F10 (should prompt you to SAVE, if not, then exit and save) If it continues to do this then yes, you will need to replace the CMOS battery and hope that it is just the battery and not where it sits.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bad-cmos-battery.149647/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,
I have a ASUS motherboard.When my Pc star to bootup,I have a line in the end that tall me that the Cmos Batt is lower and the date and time is not accurate or something like that.What kind the battery is this one and what do I have to do to change?

Thanks

Joaquin.

A:Cmos Battery

The most commonly used battery is CR2032. If you still have the P4S800-MX motherboard (from a May post), turn off your PC and remove the left side cover. The battery is a 5 cent coin size disk near your IDE drive connectors.

You can get the battery about anywhere (I saw them at the grocery store last week).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.598973/
Relevancy 58.05%

I recently had a major computer crash following a lightning storm and a lengthy power failure. I feared the worst and called out a tech. It turned out that the CMOS battery was dead and when the power had failed, the CMOS settings were lost.

The tech said that under normal circumstances, as long as the computer was connect to the power supply, the settings were retained but when the power failed, the settings went.

So if I just use system shut down on the computer at night, there is obviously power still getting to the computer. However I assume if if I actually turn off the computer on/off switch then there will be no power getting through and the CMOS battery takes over.

If I do that every time I turn off the compueter I assume that the CMOS battery will not last as long.

Am I correct?

Relevancy 58.05%

It's time to change the battery (first time for a machine I bought in 2004 - not a bad run). I can't get the old one out....any suggestions?

On side should have a metal contact.
You need to carefully pry it toward that contact as it is spring loaded,
then lift from the other side.
Should pop right out.
Be careful you don't want to break the socket.
Some older cmos batteries were soldered on,but I haven't
seen that since around 2000.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.990930/
Relevancy 58.05%

I need to know which way the wires (2 of them total) go on my compaq armada 7770dmt. While replacing the cmos battery I got the wires mixed up when I put the plastic end on. Since the plastic piece only fits one way I know that it must matter which way the wires are attaached. The colors of the wires are red and white. I cannot find a schematic for the motherboard.

i cant find anything on the HP website
you may want to post the question in the support forum
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/...Id=274&admit=716493758+1100435867876+28353475

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.296197/
Relevancy 58.05%

Is there a default in set up after replacing the cmos battery or should you take a picture with the flash off just in case?
I cannot think of any other way to know the information as print screen etc cannot be used.
TY
Peter

Replacing the CMOS battery will probably reset the BIOS settings to their defaults. Unless you or someone else has changed the settings, that will be the same as what you have now.

You could use a camera (or smartphone) with the flash turned off to record the settings. Or, you could just use pencil and paper. (Dell typically provides a fairly limited selection of settings. That's not intended as criticism.)

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/44179-cmos-battery.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a Compaq Presario 7360 Desktop PC and I am not sure what kind of cmos battery it needs to be replaced with. Can someone please help me out with this. Also, how much do they cost. Thanks in advance.

unplug the PC, even the power cord at the back
ground yourself (ie touch metal, discharge static)
open the case and point a flashlight at it
carefully pry it out, usually a clip you GENTLY pull back to allow the battery to pop out
(you do NOT want to break the clip off)

any radio shack or pc store will have them

about $5

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-battery.300434/
Relevancy 58.05%

Is it possible to leave a CMOS battery out of a computer for 24 hours without hurting anything?

Relevancy 58.05%

Question. In the motherboard manual it says to use a flat screwdriver to pry the cmos battery to change it. Well, I was doing that and the cmos battery sparked. First question is, what tool do you guys recemend. So, the motherboard cmos holder doesn't break, and so it doesn't spark again?
Second, is a spark from a 3v cmos battery harmfull to me, if it came up the screwdriver? I don't even know if it did, but I was a little freaked out by the spark, because it didn't say anything about it possibly happening. Of course, the pc was not plugged into a wall or anything. It, was just the battery itself.

Thanks everyone

A:Cmos 3v battery

Probably ran into a residual charge on the power supply.
Want to make sure not to short the 2 battery contacts or
short it to any metal on the case.
You can usually discharge a lot of that by pressing the power
button with the power supply turned off or unplugged.
The battery holder should have metal clips on one side.
Press on the opposite side of the battery to push it against the clips
then lift it out.
The clips are spring loaded to hold it in.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cmos-3v-battery.873735/