Windows Support Forum

"Remove USB Device" Icon not showing up in taskbar

Q: "Remove USB Device" Icon not showing up in taskbar

You know, the small icon that appears in your taskbar when connecting a USB device? It no longer shows up, so now I have to go to Windows Explorer and click "Eject" directly on the USB device. How can I have this icon re-appear?

It's the one that let's you select your USB device to "Safely remove device".

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: "Remove USB Device" Icon not showing up in taskbar

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: "Remove USB Device" Icon not showing up in taskbar

happened to me quite a few times on my laptop ...

if it is not just 'hidden', try this

Start, Run, paste this line and click OK:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

This will bring up the add remove wizard. When I did this, it actually put the icon back in my task bar as soon as I removed my USB drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remove-usb-device-icon-not-showing-up-in-taskbar.578551/
Relevancy 111.37%

I use third party software to update and do other system functions so I don't need the Action Center icon nex to the clock, how do I get rid of it?

A:Remove the "action center" icon from the taskbar area near the clock?

The notification area is located on the right side of the taskbar by default, and it contains program icons that provide status and notifications about things like incoming e‑mail, updates, and network connectivity. When you install a new program, you can sometimes add an icon for that program to the notification area.

You can expand the notification area to view hidden icons

New computers often come with icons already in the notification area, and some programs automatically add an icon to the notification area during installation. You can change which icons and notifications appear in the notification area, and for certain special icons (called system icons), you can choose whether they show up at all.

You can change the order of the icons in the notification area, and the order of hidden icons, by dragging them to the position you want.

To remove or hide an icon from the notification area
Click the icon in the notification area and then drag it toward the desktop.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/271578-remove-action-center-icon-taskbar-area-near-clock.html
Relevancy 110.94%

A couple of weeks ago, I installed the software for a HP DeskJet 5940 photo printer that I purchased. Afterwards, a "Safely remove hardware" icon appeared in the taskbar.

None of the startup entries for the new printer are running in the background, so I don't know how to get rid of it.

I've tried following these instructions:

1. Right-click within the notification area, and then click Properties.

2. On the Taskbar tab, click Customize.

3. Select Safely remove hardware, and in the Behavior column, click Always hide.

but when I right-click on the icon, the only thing that appears is "Safely remove hardware".

I've gone into the taskbar properties and tried to do it that way, but it wants to hide all inactive icons, which is not what I want to do.

Any suggestions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A:"Safely Remove Hardware" Taskbar Icon

Hi Frank,

For each system tray icon that you want to see, you also have to select the "Always Show" behavior - which is what I see posted at: http://www.tech-recipes.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=414#1213

-- Tom

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/safely-remove-hardware-taskbar-icon.468508/
Relevancy 100.62%
A:How do I remove "eject device" tool from taskbar (no devices to eject)

The tool won't show up if there are no devices to eject.

Have you right clicked on it? What does it show?

There are devices which you may not realize are considered removable, such as hot-swap hard drives.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/11359-how-do-i-remove-eject-device-tool-taskbar-no-devices-eject.html
Relevancy 98.47%

I need to always display the default audio input and audio output device currently on win7.
Would like to launch a small program on change as well or instead.
I tried to use task scheduler but was not able.
Help!
Thanks,
Ray

A:need "always on top icon & msg for "default audio input/output device"

Do a search on this forum. I think someone found a program to basically do what you want.

However, I just created a shortcut on my desktop to the Sound Panel/Playback section where you can change default playback devices. Go to the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound. RIGHT Click on "Sound" and then click to create a shortcut.

The audio input is another issue. If you set the default Recording device to the Stereo Mix then whatever input is used will be heard. In recording programs, select the Stereo Mix as the input and then whatever input device/port is used will be recorded. e.g. Mic, Line In, etc. Also, the Stereo Mix is needed if you want to record audio from the Internet or sites such as youtube.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/329200-need-always-top-icon-msg-default-audio-input-output-device.html
Relevancy 97.61%

Wish I had a better title, but I wasn't sure how to word this.

Basically what's happening is I have 2 instances of Firefox (different versions and different folder locations) and one of the instances is not opening where it's icon location is.

Example Screenshot:
As you can see. The far left instance does not want to open where it's icon location is.
The far right version always does it.
Even if I unpin the currently working instance (blue/orange icon) to only house 1 firefox instance (grey/black), the grey/black instance will still not open like the blue/orange instance current does (in it's own icon).
Hopefully this isn't confusing for anyone. I searched for a few terms to see if anyone had this problem and nothing came up, maybe I wasn't wording my searches correctly.

Hopefully someone can give some insights.
Thanks.

A:Firefox "Pin to Taskbar" icon wont open in it's own icon.

right click the taskbar
pick properties
open the Taskbar tab

What is set for Taskbar buttons?
You could try Always combine, hide labels

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/336078-firefox-pin-taskbar-icon-wont-open-its-own-icon.html
Relevancy 95.46%

When I right click programs in the taskbar I have the option to "pin them to the tasbar". Is it possible to remove this option from the right click menu?

A:Remove "pin this program to taskbar" from right click menu in taskbar

Here's a discussion that makes it seem possible, but I would say it's too much work to make it worth it:

How to Remove "Pin this program to taskbar" (Network Steve Forum)

This isn't a guide, but it's a question that was posted asking the same question you're asking.

Also, the discussion is a little bit hard for me to follow because it's a thread but the responses to previous posts begin immediately following the last character of the post they're responding to.

To skip to down to the part that might work for some of your programs, perform a Ctrl+F search for "got". This is the first word of the post that suggests a possible solution for some programs that might allow it. Read the replies that this post received.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/292276-remove-pin-program-taskbar-right-click-menu-taskbar.html
Relevancy 95.03%

quot no audio device "No -- sound playback card "no "no device" -- audio found" was device" quot quot no playback device quot quot No Sound Card was found quot ok I m stuck puzzled I recently had a professional computer fix it company wipe my computer and now I do not have any "No audio device" -- "no playback device" -- "no sound card was found" sound I do not have even the little icon "No audio device" -- "no playback device" -- "no sound card was found" on the bottom left hand corner "No audio device" -- "no playback device" -- "no sound card was found" to turn volume up or down My keyboard does not allow me to turn the volume up or down it seems unresponsive to volume but does light up on the screen showing VOLUME but of course there is no volume I am computer illiterate and thirsty for answers Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional Build Media Center Edition Version Service Pack System Manufacturer HP Pavilion System Model Enclosure Type Desktop RC AA-ABA a n BIOS Phoenix - AwardBIOS v PG Processor Intel R Core TM CPU GHz CPUs Memory MB RAM DirectX Version DirectX c Control Panel gt Sounds and Audio Devices gt Volume indicates quot no sound quot and Device Volume is all the way to LOW and everything is GREY and untouchable unchangeable Control Panel gt Sounds and Audio Devices gt Audio indicates quot no playback devices quot on Sound Playback Sound recording is working fine as I use skype many times but I can not hear the other party but they can hear me just fine Starting with the BIOS I went into Audio and made sure this was enabled it was downloaded installed Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio and downloaded installed REALTEK AC Audio the DEVICE MANAGER gt system speaker says there are no drivers installed for this device Device Manager shows NO yellow flags DEVICE MANAGER gt Sound video and game controllers has gt ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA gt Audio Codecs gt Legacy Audio Codecs gt Legacy Video Capture Devices gt Media Control Devices gt USB Audio Device gt Video Codecs Checking all hardware reveals that all devices Audio Codecs Legacy Audio Devices Media Control Devices etc are working properly I have tried the Windows XP trouble shooting menus without success I have RUN gt typed in quot services msc then checked Windows Audio gt General verified that Start up type is quot Automatic quot and even gt Windows Audio gt Restart the Service on all failures yet still no sound I have checked the speakers and it seems like there is noise static coming out but i can only hear it if earplugs are plugged in so it seems that the connection is fine after RUN gt typing in quot dxdiag quot DIRECTXDIAGNOSTIC TOOL gt Sound it reads under notes quot No sound card was found If one is expected you should install a sound driver provided bv the hardware manufacturer quot This is where I get fuzzy and lost Do I need a new sound card installed Is that the problem I would be grateful for any advice that could be offered Please speak in laymans terms and explain in detail your directions Thank you kindly nbsp

A:"No audio device" -- "no playback device" -- "no sound card was found"

STLj said:

<snip>
after RUN>
typing in "dxdiag"
DIRECTXDIAGNOSTIC TOOL>Sound
it reads under notes,
"No sound card was found. If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided bv the hardware manufacturer".

This is where I get fuzzy and lost. Do I need a new sound card installed? Is that the problem?Click to expand...

That dxdiag "no sound card" message is misleading as I've found it says that if no driver OR sound card. I think you're missing the right driver

Also, it would seem from your post you have High Definition (HD) audio. Which means you'll need to find the right High Definition audio driver. (AC97 pre-dates HD audio so the Realtek AC97 couldn't be right)

Try starting on the HP support website HERE and enter your model number or they have a button where they'll try to identify your product and drivers for your model. They should list an HD audio driver there

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-audio-device-no-playback-device-no-sound-card-was-found.177518/
Relevancy 95.03%

Hi!
I have just re-installed my OS. After I installed Adobe Photoshop CS6 64 bit, I pinned it in my taskbar. The icon of the desktop shortcut looks good, but in the taskbar, this is how it looks:

How could I solve this problem?

A:The icon shows in taskbar as "unknown icon"

Hello barbu110 and welcome to Seven Forums.

It's possible that your icon cache became damaged or corrupt for some unknown reason. You could try rebuilding it and see what happens.

Icon Cache - Rebuild

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/272333-icon-shows-taskbar-unknown-icon.html
Relevancy 94.17%

For some reason, Adobe Acrobat Pro, PowerPoint, and QuickTime all have the default Windows "unknown" icon next to them on my Start Menu (and also on the taskbar if I open the program.) I thought I might be able to right click -> Properties -> "Change Icon" but it is greyed out and I can't even click on the "Change Icon" button.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

A:Some programs on start menu showing the "unknown" icon

Hi,
Take a look at this post.

Generic icons

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/55811-some-programs-start-menu-showing-unknown-icon.html
Relevancy 93.74%

Hi Guys,

I have Firefox pinned to my taskbar, but when I run the program, it opens up another icon in the taskbar to indicate that it's running. The other browser I use does not do that. In fact, I do not remember Firefox doing that previously. It will just "underscores" the pinned icon on the taskbar to indicate that the program is running.

How do I stop Firefox from opening another icon when it runs? Please see image below:

Regards,
Andrew

A:Program shortcut opens another "running" icon in taskbar

Right Click on the Taskbar and select Properties. In the option for taskbar buttons make sure the setting is to always combine.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/57337-program-shortcut-opens-another-running-icon-taskbar.html
Relevancy 93.74%

I got a really bad virus that spread all over my computer and installed toolbars one was called quot Security ToolBar quot which i Help With Taskbar Need "VirusBurster" Removing Icon System Solved: uninstalled without any problems The other Solved: Need Help With Removing "VirusBurster" System Taskbar Icon was quot Toolbar quot i tried to uninstall it but it still appeared on my IE so i Disabled it from the addons The other thing that came up was a flashing icon on my taskbar that says quot Solved: Need Help With Removing "VirusBurster" System Taskbar Icon Critical System Errors quot and it links to virusbursters com and norton began to detect all sorts of trojan and spyware tools so i switched to Safemode and ran my Norton AntiVirus -after updating it- and removed everything it detected but it when i ran my windows in normal mode Norton found more trojans and they were trying to connect I read a few thread here and there and i tried to follow the steps i used quot SmitfraudFix quot and this is the Log SmitFraudFix v Scan done at Run from C Documents and Settings ReeM Desktop SmitfraudFix OS Microsoft Windows XP Version - Windows NT The filesystem type is NTFS Fix run in normal mode Before SmitFraudFix Attention following keys are not inevitably infected SrchSTS exe by S Ri Search SharedTaskScheduler s dll HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer SharedTaskScheduler quot A C - F - D-FF - A C quot quot OpenGL additional quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT CLSID A C - F - D-FF - A C InProcServer quot C WINDOWS system zsPoCrypt dll quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software Classes CLSID A C - F - D-FF - A C InProcServer quot C WINDOWS system zsPoCrypt dll quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer SharedTaskScheduler quot f c -fbc - a c- - e b a f quot quot astral quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT CLSID f c -fbc - a c- - e b a f InProcServer quot C WINDOWS system olnohdw dll quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software Classes CLSID f c -fbc - a c- - e b a f InProcServer quot C WINDOWS system olnohdw dll quot Killing process Generic Renos Fix GenericRenosFix by S Ri Deleting infected files C DOCUME ReeM FAVORI Antivirus Test Online url Deleted Deleting Temp Files Winlogon System Attention following keys are not inevitably infected HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon quot System quot quot quot Registry Cleaning Registry Cleaning done After SmitFraudFix Attention following keys are not inevitably infected SrchSTS exe by S Ri Search SharedTaskScheduler s dll HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer SharedTaskScheduler quot A C - F - D-FF - A C quot quot OpenGL additional quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT CLSID A C - F - D-FF - A C InProcServer quot C WINDOWS system zsPoCrypt dll quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software Classes CLSID A C - F - D-FF - A C InProcServer quot C WINDOWS system zsPoCrypt dll quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer SharedTaskScheduler quot f c -fbc - a c- - e b a f quot quot astral quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT CLSID f c -fbc - a c- - e b a f InProcServer quot C WINDOWS system olnohdw dll quot HKEY LOCAL MACHINE Software Classes CLSID f c -fbc - a c- - e b a f InProcServer quot C WINDOWS system olnohdw dll quot End and i also used HaxFix this is the Log HAXFIX logfile - by Marckie version --- Checking for Haxdoor --- checking for a d files a d files not found checking for matching notify keys no matching notify keys found checking for matching services matching services found ASPI CmBatt checking for matching safeboot services no matching safeboot services found checking for other Haxdoor-files no other Haxdoor-files found --- Checking for Goldun --- checking for SSODL keys no ssodl keys found checking for notify keys no notify keys found checking for services no services found checking for other Goldun-files no other Goldun-files found Finished and this is my latest Log from Hijackthis L... Read more

A:Solved: Need Help With Removing "VirusBurster" System Taskbar Icon

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-need-help-with-removing-virusburster-system-taskbar-icon.526559/
Relevancy 93.74%

Unil this morning i could click on a little "up" arrow on the right side (not extreme right) of my taskbar to display a pop up list of my desktop icons. I could then click on the 1 i wanted. it was very convenient because i didn't have to close all my windows to see the icons. The arrow suddenly disappeared & everything became different & i don't know why. How do I get it back?

Desparate in ny

ron40

Relevancy 93.74%

Recently ran into major problem with Word 2000 SR-1.

Whenever I work on -- or try to -- on a .doc file, at the bottom of the screen in the taskbar that lists the page number, line, column, there is a small "book" icon with a pen, and as this pen moves across the book, I cannot edit the text, and the blinking cursor disappears until it ( the pen & book) *finally* decides to quit doing whatever its doing.

It has sat there and "wrote" for over 20 minutes before stopping. I can save and exit a .doc file, but just as soon as I reload it, and type anything, the "pen" starts writing.

What can I do to turn this annoyance off? Until its fixed I cannot use Word2K.

A:Word2K Taskbar "Book" icon -- Major Problem

That icon is for grammar and spelling. Under the Tools menu click on Options and then Grammar and Spelling to view your settings. Maybe if you play with those settings you will figure out a way to edit your document. Hopefully I've pointed you in the direction you need to go but I don't know what the solution is.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word2k-taskbar-book-icon-major-problem.532077/
Relevancy 93.74%

I just upgraded from WinXP to Win7 64 Bit on my other PC. I did some minor work and replaced the RAM. Everything went well except that I noticed that my secondary hard drive (a Maxtor 300) although it did show in the Device Manager and showed as working properly, when I click on Start/Computer, the drive icon did not appear. Only the primary (OS drive) a WD 400G appeared. Any ideas why this happened?

A:Secondary Hardrive icon not showing in "Computer".

is it SATA or IDE.

It might be the cable it self. i ran into this while working on two customers computers.
i replace the cables and boom it worked.

--
Assuming the drive a functioning drive, if its not visible under Disk Management, then your motherboard bios settings are incorrect, or internal connectors.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/secondary-hardrive-icon-not-showing-in-computer.1121847/
Relevancy 93.74%

My computer has been showing the unknown icon and I can't change it. This started after I upgraded from xp to 7.

A:My local disk is showing the "unknown" icon

Hello Jackson,

You might see if an option in the tutorial below may work to change the icon back.

Drive Icon - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/364240-my-local-disk-showing-unknown-icon.html
Relevancy 93.31%

I'm a new Win user trying to setup a more normal looking desktop on my wife's new laptop In an attempt to populate the desktop toolbar with apps on the start page I found it can't be done as explained in the tutorial Either when I touch hold the app icon or right mouse click the app is checked and the bottom application bar appears However on the app bar my only choices are quot Unpin from Start quot quot Uninstall quot or quot Find in Start quot I'm not given the option of quot Pin to taskbar quot I "pin the apps to icon Missing page on taskbar" also don't see the choices quot Open new window quot quot Run as admin quot or quot Open file location quot that Missing "pin to taskbar" icon on the apps page I see in an example under that tutorial I'm running this account in admin mode The most recent Windows update was with no new updates available when checked today Is there something wrong or a control panel setting I Missing "pin to taskbar" icon on the apps page need to enable to see the other choices Your help will be appreciated Thanks -Matt

A:Missing "pin to taskbar" icon on the apps page

Check the items on the Task Bar in the desktop it should be there that is why you do not see the option to pin to the taskbar.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/51813-missing-pin-taskbar-icon-apps-page.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Just bought a new Dell Inspiron 3000 (actually a 3847) and reinstalled Win 7 Professional. There is an icon at the far right of the taskbar for "My Dell" (it's a blue circle, outlined in white, with a white wrench inside). Right clicking on it brings up a list of Dell tasks (notification,checkup,backup,system info,support,settings and finally the overall My Dell program) but right clicking again does not bring up a list with properties,etc.

Cannot move or unpin it - cannot tell what it references,etc. Any ideas??

A:How To Move/Delete the "My Dell" Icon On The Taskbar

Hi there .. It is Dell Software .. Read the Link below it will explain every thing ..
My Dell | Dell US

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/324200-how-move-delete-my-dell-icon-taskbar.html
Relevancy 93.31%

Guys please see the attach image and help needed regarding this , How can I get back my Icon

A:"My Computer" Icon shows as Folder in Taskbar

Hi:

Try rebuilding the icon cache:

Icon Cache - Rebuild

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/369621-my-computer-icon-shows-folder-taskbar.html
Relevancy 93.31%

I'm setting up a new Windows PC In my Win PC I have an icon on the taskbar that holds all open folders I'll call it the quot Open Folders quot icon I don't remember how that icon got on Win 's taskbar How can I create a similar icon on Win 's taskbar EXPLANATION In Win say I open the C drive and click on quot Program Files quot Then I minimize that window The quot C Program Files quot folder minimizes to the quot Open Folders quot icon on pin folders" taskbar? Win8's an to How icon "open to Win 's taskbar Then say I open drive D and click on a folder named quot Photos quot Then I minimize that window The quot D Photos quot folder minimizes to the same quot Open Folders quot icon on Win 's taskbar Now if How to pin an "open folders" icon to Win8's taskbar? I hover over the quot Open Folders quot icon on the taskbar links to the Program Files folder and the Photos folder pop up I can click the desired folder to open it How can I create a similar quot Open Folders quot icon on Win 's taskbar Thanks Skyzoomer

A:How to pin an "open folders" icon to Win8's taskbar?

Hi Skyzoomer,

it's very easy to do what you want. Here are the instructions.

Go to START and click on the arrow in the lower left part of the screen. Now you can see all the different installed programs etc. Scroll to the right and under the header "System" you can find an icon that says "Windows Explorer".
Rightclick on this icon and choose "Pin to taskbar".

Et voila! If you go to the desktopmodus you can see the pinned icon for Windows Explorer. Any explorer windows you open will be grouped 'in' this icon.

Hope this was helpfull.

Greetz,

Rover

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/39979-how-pin-open-folders-icon-win8s-taskbar.html
Relevancy 93.31%

The other day I tried to send an email Naturally I was quite surprised when Windows XP Pro told = + "My 99% Computer" Taskbar No + No SVChost Icon Virus? me quot Not enough memory quot I SVChost 99% + No Taskbar + No "My Computer" Icon = Virus? rebooted the computer Upon booting it back up I found that my taskbar was locked and in the lowest possible position nothing visible on it I did not set it this way I unlocked the taskbar but I still could not move it up I also noticed that the quot My Computer quot Icon was no longer on my desktop Upon opening task manager i found that one of my SVChost exe processes was taking up of my computer s resources Note that this is not a fake SVChost exe nor a non-essential one as windows shut itself down when I ended its task I booted the computer up in safe mode and all three of the same problems were there I was still able to open folders on my desktop so i managed to navigate to and use several diagnostic tools including Adaware Spybot McAfee Virusscan Stinger and the FixWelchia and FixBlaster tools all of which took an incredibly long time with SVChost slowing everything down None of these found anything except for Virusscan which found a minor trojan which I easily deleted The problem persists and the fact that it seems to have tried to stop me from accessing anything by removing quot My Computer quot and locking my taskbar leads me to suspect that some sort of virus is causing this If so it must be very new or very elusive to evade Virusscan and Stinger both of which I updated a little over a week before Anyone have any ideas nbsp

A:SVChost 99% + No Taskbar + No "My Computer" Icon = Virus?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/svchost-99-no-taskbar-no-my-computer-icon-virus.348249/
Relevancy 93.31%

Some time over the last few weeks I lost the Speaker Volume control icon on my Taskbar (Normally on the right side near the digital clock). I don't know what I did to make it leave, but I was looking for it just the other day and realized it was gone! I went into my Control Panel to access the audio sliders, and when I checked the box to display the volume control icon on the Taskbar, a text box popped up telling me that I have to install it from my add/remove programs function. Well, I can not find the Volume Control icon function anywhere, including on my original Windows XP Professional installation CD. Can anyone tell me how I can re-install the speaker Volume Control icon on my Taskbar?

Thanks!

Relevancy 93.31%

So I ve been having A LOT of trouble with my computer recently but much of it has seemed to sort itself out HOWEVER I have been having an issue with quot Win Icon Security Taskbar Alert" "Windows in Defrag quot It appeared on "Windows Security Alert" Icon in Taskbar my desktop and ever since that I ve been getting a quot Windows Security Alert quot red cross icon in my task manager I know they re related as when I double "Windows Security Alert" Icon in Taskbar click on the icon Win Defrag opens Whenever the icon is on my task manager My Documents disappear to be "Windows Security Alert" Icon in Taskbar replaced with an empty quot Programs quot folder When I use Rkill the icon disappear and My Documents come back but I m sure it s still there -- gt I ve used MBAM countles times and it keeps finding and deleting things I ve also tried Stopzilla and Dr Webb along with just my McAffee They seem to find more things every time Plese help if you can below is my most recent HJT MBAM and Rkill logs Thanks HJT Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system Dwm exe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe C Program Files DellTPad Apoint exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files Dell QuickSet quickset exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAAnotif exe C Program Files Dell Webcam Dell Webcam Central WebcamDell exe C Program Files Dell DataSafe Online DataSafeOnline exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DX PDVDDXSrv exe C Program Files Dell AIO Printer dldfmon exe C Program Files Dell AIO Printer memcard exe C Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exe C Program Files Electronic Arts EADM Core exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C Program Files SetPoint SetPoint exe C Program Files Dell DellDock DellDock exe C Program Files DellTPad ApMsgFwd exe C Program Files DellTPad HidFind exe C Program Files DellTPad Apntex exe C Program Files Common Files Logitech khalshared KHALMNPR EXE C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BtStackServer exe C Program Files iTunes iTunes exe C Program Files Spotify spotify exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http g uk msn com USCON R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google co uk R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Internet Explorer provided by Dell R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhost O ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-security-alert-icon-in-taskbar.966005/
Relevancy 92.88%

My Lumia 550 Windows phone has stopped letting me tweet or quote re-tweet. The toolbar now only shows the @, #, camera and a list icon. The list icon only opens some poll choices? I have tried left and right swiping but cannot seem to find the tweet button/icon/word to send the tweet. I have not played with any settings and the issue only arose yesterday

A:No "Tweet" icon showing anymore

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question My Lumia 550 Windows phone has stopped letting me tweet or quote re-tweet. The toolbar now only shows the @, #, camera and a list icon. The list icon only opens some poll choices? I have tried left and right swiping but cannot seem to find the tweet button/icon/word to send the tweet. I have not played with any settings and the issue only arose yesterday Hi there - What Twitter app are you using to tweet?
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439561-no-tweet-icon-showing-anymore.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hello I have a network drive mapped to letter use restored" been connection showing already not up wake popups name "local in After has device Z everything works fine no After wake up popups showing "local device name already in use connection has not been restored" disconnects while computer is running however once computer went to sleep mode and a window with mapped drive left opened Z blah after wake up the window is blank and a popup showing sometimes two or even five same popups showing at the same time saying Restoring Network ConnectionsAn error occur while reconnecting Z to remotecomputer blah Microsoft Windows Network The local device name is already in use This connection has not been restored And another popup usually there too Location is not available Z is not accessible The specified network name is no longer available Closing popups and refreshing window reconnects to the network drive just fine I wouldn't care about it as much as if I didn't have to close these popups I normally have windows opened and all of them receive several such popups - is just unacceptable annoying I've already tried disable all power related settings under the network adapter nothing helped Any solutions for this nonsense Thank you

A:After wake up popups showing "local device name already in use connection has not been restored"

Dear Vanowm,
    Please update the windows 7 Hot fix to fix your issue.
Please refer the Microsoft KB for more information
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2663418Regards Jinish.K.G|HCL Infosystems LTD

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/94ca19d9-0732-48aa-8896-b576d780cdf2/after-wake-up-popups-showing-quotlocal-device-name-already-in-use-connection-has-not-been?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 92.45%

This is the easiest way to get rid of the icon. You can right-click on the date/time in Taskbar system tray and select "Customize notification icons" option. It'll open a new window. Now look for GWX (Get Windows 10) entry in the list and change its value to "Hide icon and notifications" using the drop-down box.

Apply the changes and it'll hide the White Windows flag icon in Taskbar notification area.

A:Get rid of that pesky "Get Windows 10" icon from taskbar

Originally Posted by Harrier

This is the easiest way to get rid of the icon. You can right-click on the date/time in Taskbar system tray and select "Customize notification icons" option. It'll open a new window. Now look for GWX (Get Windows 10) entry in the list and change its value to "Hide icon and notifications" using the drop-down box.

Apply the changes and it'll hide the White Windows flag icon in Taskbar notification area.

If you want to get rid of It you need to uninstall update KB3035583 as that is the main part of the GWX Upgrade process. You may hide the notification for a while but the application is still running and the notification will return. There are other ways to disable the function through Task Scheduler but uninstalling KB3035583 takes care of most everything. It also depends on what your intentions are re: upgrading to W10. If you don't want W10 right away then you should get rid of it and if you have a reservation in you won't have much wriggle room when your number is up.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/70343-get-rid-pesky-get-windows-10-icon-taskbar.html
Relevancy 92.45%

My internet works fine, but I can't figure out why the red "x" is over my internet access. (I've uploaded a pic of the toolbar area) It doesn't show how many bars I have unless I click it. I use Windows 7 and this is a brand new laptop. Any ideas on how to get it to go away?

I'd appreciate it.

A:Red "x" over the internet access icon in taskbar

Hi Millie0513,

I'm guessing your laptop has a Wireless and a Wired network card (who hasn't these days? :)) Anywho, it might be showing that one of your network cards is not connected to anything, thus giving a misleading image of the Network view.

Are you able to connect to a network if you click it?

Could you please do the following:
Go to Start > Search.
Type "cmd" without the quotes > Hit ENTER.
Type in "ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt" > Hit ENTER.

A logfile with your network cards/settings should've been saved to C:\ipconfig.txt. Attach this file to your next post.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/red-x-over-the-internet-access-icon-in-taskbar-599032.html
Relevancy 92.45%

I'm trying to help a friend, via email, who has lost her icon which normally shows up on her taskbar at the bottom of the screen.... Can someone tell me where these options are designated? Is it in the Startup menu?
Appreciate any help available.....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-nav-icon-on-start-taskbar.475586/
Relevancy 92.45%

ok . ive done a search but couldnt find a specific soloution. im trying to change the wmp icon that i have pinned to my taskbar. i guesse i have to change the icon in wmp prog file but i cant figure out which it is i have to delete or change to icon i want ,i know it can be done (somehow) as i spotted it in a screenie here on 7f a while ago. ty

A:how to change wmp "pinned" taskbar icon ?

Quote: Originally Posted by boohbah

ok . ive done a search but couldnt find a specific soloution. im trying to change the wmp icon that i have pinned to my taskbar. i guesse i have to change the icon in wmp prog file but i cant figure out which it is i have to delete or change to icon i want ,i know it can be done (somehow) as i spotted it in a screenie here on 7f a while ago. ty

1.Get the WMP icon in your desktop. (start > all programs > right click on wmp icon in programs list > send to > desktop.)

2. Right click on it > properties >change icon > browse (to the icon you want)

3. Open wmp , now the icon is in taskbar. Right click > pin the program to taskbar

You are done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/68920-how-change-wmp-pinned-taskbar-icon.html
Relevancy 92.45%

WinXP (SP2)...

This may seem trivial to others, but:

I have several icons on the right side of my tray. I right-clicked on the taskbar and clicked "Properties". "Hide inactive icons" is checked. I clicked "Customize" and set certain icons to "Always show", "Always hide", or "Hide when inactive". In particular, I set the APC PowerChute icon to "Always hide". However, each time I re-boot the computer, it ALWAYS defaults to "Always show" and keeps showing in the tray. The other icons keep their settings.

Now...
Is there a registry setting where I can change that behaviour to "Always hide"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/taskbar-icon-hiding-problem.480397/
Relevancy 92.02%

installed a new ssd with a fresh copy win 8 on my mb sabertooth fx990 r2.0 but for some reason it showing up under safely remove hardware and eject media ....i wanna fix this been looking for a fix for past 2 days my MB is amd Ur help would greatly appreciate

A:OS Drive showing up as a "Removable" Device windows 8

When I had that problem, it was because I plugged in the SSD to a port for external hds.

Check your connection and make sure your OS shows in Dev Mgr as Port 0.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/os-drive-showing-up-as-a-removable-device-windows-8.1127712/
Relevancy 92.02%

My ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 is showing up as a unknown device in device manager and i can't install the driver because it wont install a standard VGA driver

A:Graphics Card Showing up as "Unknown Device"

Hi, welcome to the forums

Are you sure it's a 9600 GFX card? The ATI/AMD site has no mention of anything above the 5xxx series of Mobility drivers?

It seems all info I find on the 9600 relates to XP as the latest OS for it, how old is the machine?

OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/121392-graphics-card-showing-up-unknown-device.html
Relevancy 91.59%

Hey, guys.

I've been having that problem for a while now, but I could always just system restore back to a previous state and my sound comes back. But now, it seems that when I tried to do a system restore, one wasn't available.

I've done everything that I've searched on, like disabling/enabling sound card, uninstalling and installing again. None of those seems to work.

Since my system restore sets it back before an update is installed, then I think it's because of an update. And the most recent update since the Red X was an update for windows defender, and I can't uninstall the update, or whatnot.

I'm getting really desperate here, guys. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

I run Windows 7 Home Premium x64.
The sound card is Conexant SmartAudio HD.

A:Red X on Volume Icon, "No Audio Output Device is installed."

If it's a Windows Update you should be able to uninstall it, at least if you remember what number it was exactly. "Control Panel" > "Programs and Features" then at the top left click on "View installed updates", the updates you installed, at least via Windows Update, should now be viewable. Then find which one it was and uninstall it, should be easy enough.

So Windows isn't acknowledging your sound card in "Device Manager"? If not go to Conexant's website and search under "Audio Solutions" or google for any drivers that may suit your exact product. If it is acknowledging your card. . .I don't know. If it's not onboard then it wouldn't be able to be disabled in your BIOS, unless you have an onboard sound AND a sound card, and they're conflicting? If so you might have to disable the onboard audio perhaps?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/218241-red-x-volume-icon-no-audio-output-device-installed.html
Relevancy 91.16%

Hi guys I've been trying to resolve this issue since I set up OS a "Removable" showing up Drive as Device my new system a couple of weeks ago and so far have not been able to find any good leads as to how this happened or how to fix it The quot it quot is that my C is showing up as a removable device in the windows task bar I've never seen this before I have updated all system drivers I have updated the BIOS and I have checked all BIOS settings - nothing helps I have checked Intel Rapid Storage and it doesn't list the drive which is odd It does list my RAID that I have set up The OS OS Drive showing up as a "Removable" Device drive is OS Drive showing up as a "Removable" Device a GB Corsair Force GT SATA III and the RAID drives are a pair of WD TB HDDs I attached pics The shot of the Intel Rapid Storage Manager shows the RAID drives which are correctly in Ports and However it shows the rest of the ports as quot empty quot Two of the quot empty quot ports are connected to the Corsair SSD and the DVD drive but this is not represented When I try to use Intel Rapid Storage and hit the quot rescan quot command to check for new drives the system freezes Same thing when I try quot Scan for New Hardware quot in the Device Manager Any ideas Thanks G

A:OS Drive showing up as a "Removable" Device

I wouldn't worry too much about it, I think this is a driver weirdity, as I've seen hard drives be detected by Windows (7) as a removable drive.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/15222-os-drive-showing-up-removable-device.html
Relevancy 90.73%

From my "Safely remove hardware and eject media" I get a dialog that says:

Code:
Open Devices and Printers
-------------------------
Ian's pc
- Eject ST320005 42A2 SCSI Disk Device
- Eject ST320005 42A2 SCSI Disk Device
All the screen shots of this dialog I've seen have the drive letter and/or the drive volume volume label, never the hardware string.

Needless to say this makes it tricky to eject the correct device...

How do I get the drive letter or label there please?

i

A:"Safely remove hardware" not showing drive letter/label

Could you post a screen capture of what the notification tray icon shows when you click on it?

("Print Screen" key, paste into Paint. The snipping tool won't pick that up.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/168116-safely-remove-hardware-not-showing-drive-letter-label.html
Relevancy 90.73%

So for some reason the BIOS suddenly decided all my SATA ports should be hot swappable I suppose. My C drive where my Windows install resides suddenly shows up under the "Safely remove hardware and Eject Media" thingy. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but now it's showing up as "oCsria roFcr e 3SS D" instead of "Corsair Force 3 SSD". This worries me as this is already my 2nd SSD drive after my Vertex III went dead on me after about 6 months of use.
Should I be worried? Might this drive be on it's way out? Is it a firmware bug? Driver bug? Or is it a Windows 8 bug? RMA worthy?
Drive came with the latest 1.33 firmware when I purchased it and is up to date as far as I can tell.

/backups data
~Aeny

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/6262-corsair-force-iii-showing-bad-name-safely-remove-hardware.html
Relevancy 90.73%

PC just updated to 10 Anniversary.

I have three monitors, I want to remove the start button and clock from second/third monitor. (I.E A blank task bar)

I do not want to disable the second/third monitor's task bar, I like the applications running that appear on said monitor to appear in the task bar of that monitor.

I had this setup on the previous build, but can't remember for the life of me how I did it (No third party software)

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/60217-multi-monitor-taskbar-remove-start-button-clock.html
Relevancy 90.73%

Right-click the taskbar > Properties > Customize... > Locate the battery power meter icon and use pull-down menu to select "Always Hide"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-answer-to-cannot-remove-power-meter-from-taskbar-in-windows-xp.1027064/
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi, after I instaled Deamon Tools, Windows starth show safety remove button in taskbar. Its possible hide this button?

A:How to remove "safety remove" button from taskbar?

if you use action center you can otherwise, there is no way aht i know of.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/8251-how-remove-safety-remove-button-taskbar.html
Relevancy 89.87%

I have a Bluetooth dongle that I use to connect a DualShock PS3 controller to my PC (8.1 Pro). It has a special third-party driver installed to facilitate this. For this reason, it's detected by Windows as a standard "USB device" instead of a Bluetooth adapter like it normally would be, and it persistently shows the tray icon to safely remove it. I never remove it from my computer and I would really like this icon to disappear from my tray, but nothing I've been able to find on Google has applied to this sort of situation.

Does anyone have any ideas about removing this? If I need to somehow completely disable the tray icon altogether for all devices I'm fine with that; I almost always remember to safely eject devices and I'm fine going to This PC to do it.

A:Disable "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from tray

Just set it to stay hidden, no notifications.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/62421-disable-safely-remove-hardware-icon-tray.html
Relevancy 89.87%

This icon suddenly isn't showing up, so I have to shut down or risk damaging something to get my external USB devices disconnected from the system.

Is there a place in XP Pro that I can enable it?

A:Lost the "safely remove" icon in the system tray

Hello,

Attach the drive
Go to Start => Run and type in "devmgmt.msc" {without the quotes}
Locate the USB drive in 'Disk Drives'
Right-click => Properties => Policies tab
Check the radio button 'Optimize for performance'
OK to exit

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-the-safely-remove-icon-in-the-system-tray.797508/
Relevancy 89.87%

How do I restore the Safely Remove Hardware icon to the system tray? I've clicked into "Customize Notifications" and a folder titled Safely Remove Hardware is listed under Past Items. I've changed its "Behavior" next to the folder to Always Show, but the icon still doesn't appear in the system tray. Rebooting after making the change doesn't help. Any ideas?

Relevancy 89.87%

I cannot remove external USB drives using the quot Safely remove quot icon this error message appears Saying the device cannot be removed because of an quot unknown error quot This message declares an cannot be stopped "Savely icon when Message error Always remove" clicking because of an quot unknown error quot it does not state that there are processes accessing the drive I never can find processes accessing that drive All of my HDDs cannot be safely removed WD MyBook WD Elements CnMemory etc I have tried this without success knowledge seagate com articl S amp key ka tiGyAAI amp kb n amp wwwlocale Always error Message when clicking "Savely remove" icon en-us Step does not seem to work I have set the bin to quot Do not move files to the Recycle Bin quot respectively quot remove files instantly quot but it does not help Properties of the recycle bin Step In Windows Vista XP please follow these directions Right-click on My Computer Select Manage Select Device Manager Open Disk Drives Double-click on the hard drive's model number Go to the Policies tab Check whether the drive is set to Optimize for Quick Removal If so the hard drive does not need Always error Message when clicking "Savely remove" icon to be Safely Removed manually from the system Click to expand I have left the default settings for all of my drives quot Optimize for Quick Removal quot properties of Seagete Expansion Does this also apply to Win And is it really correct I have learned a drive hdd must not be removed under any circumstances without the quot safely remove quot option The MFT or anything other might get corrupted This way there is only a slim chance that the partition will be corrupted by a removal That does not sound very trustfully actually I would not have a Always error Message when clicking "Savely remove" icon slim chance of data corruption And what does that mean Please remember that you would be very unwise to put yourself in a situation where that is a concern for you If this drive were to experience a sudden mechanical or electronic failure or if it should fall or if the drive's partition should become corrupted your data could be lost and data recovery is very expensive Remember that this is a backup drive and a backup is defined as quot a second copy of data in a second storage media quot Whether on a second external hard drive a CD or DVD an internal hard drive a network hard drive or tape make a nd copy of your data today and keep it If not please continue What drive is a back up drive My drive isn't one After the error message - the drive cannot be removed or something like that - occurs I try to find out which process accesses the drive with quot Unlocker quot but there is no process shown I do not use Media Player Media Center the indexing is shown to be finished So it appears there is no step left Is there anything else I could do Download a free utility from a third-party Web site at the following address http www sysinternals com Utilitie sExplorer html Click Find Find Handle or DLL in the tool menu Type the drive letter of the USB device in the Handle or DLL substring textbox and press Search Button Find the process and its PID in the following box In system process tree view find the process according to the Find Handle or DLL dialog box Press Ctrl H to show Handles in Lower Pane View Find the File according with the drive letter and right click it choose Close Handle Click to expand I did that https support microsoft com en-us kb the search obviously stopped at lines And if a process were found it would be shown underneath C I guess but there is not any line containing R What could I do to make it work

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/41983-always-error-message-when-clicking-savely-remove-icon.html
Relevancy 89.87%

Dear All,

I have the "Action Center" flag icon always appear in the Windows 7 taskbar, even when there are "No current issues detected".

When I first installed Windows 7 it would only appear if there WERE issues detected, otherwise it would not display at all.

Now I don't know what happened, but it's just THERE constantly.

I know I can choose "Only Show Notifications" in the settings for it, but it's still actually there, only hidden.

The way it was before is that if no issues were detected it would not appear AT ALL.

Anyone know what's causing this/and more importantly how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

quanzaboy

A:How to REMOVE Action Center icon when "No Issues Detected" ???

right click on any empty space on the taskbar
select properties
In the Notification area section of the properties window, click Customize...
Change the behavior of the Action Center icon to "Only Show Notifications"

That should do the trick

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/155839-how-remove-action-center-icon-when-no-issues-detected.html
Relevancy 89.87%

In my Systray there is an icon "Safely remove hardware and eject media"
which did not exist in WinXP.

I guest this is for possible removing USB sticks from USB slots.

However I should be able to remove USB sticks by just plugging them out.
Per definition WinOS and hardware should be able to handle this automatically.

So I do not need this icon in Systray.

How can I hide this icon permanently from Systray?

Peter

A:How to disable Systray icon "Safely remove hardware and eject media"?

If you right click on the arrow thing in your notification tray, you will see "customize notification icons."

From there, you should be able to set it to "hide icon and notifications"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/116590-how-disable-systray-icon-safely-remove-hardware-eject-media.html
Relevancy 89.87%

Does anyone know how to remove the "safely remove hardware" icon in the taskbar? I do not mean hide it. I have my icons always show in the notification area because I don't like the arrow icon either.

Any ideas? Thanks.

A:Remove "Safely Remove Hardware" Icon

there is no option in "customize notification icons" when you right-click in the notification area?.
one other thing to check is whether or not your usb device is optimized for performance or quick removal.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/4727-remove-safely-remove-hardware-icon.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Why has it dissapeared? How can I restore it, so it comes back each time I insert a USB device?

Michael

A:restore my "safely remove hardware" icon

For Windows XP ...

Right click on the Taskbar (not an icon on the taskbar) and select Properties from the pop-up menu

Select the Taskbar tab in the Start Menu Properties screen

Click the Customize... button

You should get a Custom Notifications screen

Find "Safely remove hardware" entry in the scroll list.

If its behavior is set to "Always hide", click on the current behavior setting and change it to "Hide when inactive". Accept the new setting by clicking "OK" to close the open screens.

If the behavior was all ready set to "Hide when inactive" or "Always show" when you opened the settings screen, there is some other problem that needs to be resolved.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restore-my-safely-remove-hardware-icon.722848/
Relevancy 89.44%

I have windows 7 ultimate and The "Safely remove hardware" icon is available but when I press on it nothing appear or happen. I try right mouse click and left mouse click but nothing happen.

Relevancy 89.44%

"safely remove hardware" icon is in my tray at start up even when I don't have hardware in. It ways it's for USB Mass Storage Device for 4 drives which I think are my memory card slots. Also when I use a hardware and then safely remove it out, then put a hardware in again, my pc doesn't know it's there and the safely remove hardware doesn't pop up. In this case I have to restart up my pc again. I've been to device manager and there's an "!" on it but it says it's working properly. Please help me.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/safely-remove-hardware-icon-issues-69213.html
Relevancy 89.44%

When I plug in a USB memory stick, my camera or an external hard drive, I get no tray icon (green arrow): the first two items I can 'eject' but I don't even get that option for the hard drive. However, when I loaded software and downloaded pictures from a phone for a friend, the icon and removal option appeared.
Can anyone explain this please and suggest a cure? It's no big deal but a touch inconvenient.
TIA.

Relevancy 89.44%

Windows Media Edition 2004, I somehow removed the icon for "Safely remove hardware" from my system (notificationi) tray. In searching I found another thread which permits me to run the program:

"RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll"

and supposedly places the icon back in the tray, but not so on my computer. Before I go to Microsoft and pay them to answer my question, does anyone out there know how to force the icon for "safely remove hardware" back into my system tray?

A:Restore Icon "Safely Remove Hardware"

If u have a CD then try windows repair...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/restore-icon-safely-remove-hardware-136600.html
Relevancy 89.44%

When I boot up my computer the USB "remove hardware" icon loads in the tray, even though there isn't a devise plug in the USB port. I'm usually able to get rid of the USB icon by going thru the procedure as if there was something plugged in.
I believe this started months ago when I was having problems with a MP3 player.
The USB port still works fine, as I use it for my camera and memory stick all the time.
Any ideas on how to remedy this problem?
Thanks for your help.

A:USB "Remove Hardware Icon" loads when I boot up

What happends when you click the remove hardware icon? Does it bring up any devices at all?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-remove-hardware-icon-loads-when-i-boot-up.161540/
Relevancy 89.44%

Not sure if this is a Windows or Toshiba issue. Ever since I installed a new (AT&T)wireless router and software, my taskbar icon arrangement was all messed up and the " Safely Remove Hardware (USB) icon" is missing in action!

Is there any way other than doing a system restore, to capture the bugger? Does it have an official name with which to search for it?

Where on my laptop might I look for this stray? Do I really NEED it?

If it's an important component, is there a website from which I can download a new one?

And, finally, THANK YOU for your thoughtful replies!

A:Missing the " Safely Remove Hardware (USB) icon"

This icon normally appears when you plug in a removable device that gets a Windows drive letter assigned (e.g. external USB drive, camera or portable music player that connects in MSC mode so that it gets a drive letter or two, external card reader with an SD card installed, etc.).

Its purpose is so that you can left or right click on it, and select the particular device you'd now like to pull the USB cable for. You need to first "safely remove hardware" because almost all of these removable devices make use of "write cache" for performance reasons, which retains data in PC memory buffers possibly still not yet flushed out to the device to reflect your final I/O operations. That's exactly what the "safely remove hardware" function does, namely flush out all of those buffers, possibly power down that USB port, and then disconnect the device so that you can pull the connecting cable out of the PC without the possibilty of losing any data or corrupting the file system on the device.

If you don't have any such removable devices currently plugged in, I wouldn't think you'd expect to see that "safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray.

Now if you do have an external USB drive currently plugged in and you're still not seeing that icon, well now something's definitely not right. I assume you've probably re-booted at least once in your attempt to sort this all out, but of course this goes without saying.

Do you have "hidden" system tray icons in your customization, so that you can only see them if you click on the small up-arrow at the right end of the task bar to display all of these "hidden" icons? If so, have you looked there for the "safely remove hardware" icon assuming you really should be expecting to see it somewhere?

NOTE: removable devices that connect in MTP mode (as opposed to MSC mode) do NOT get a Windows drive letter assigned, and thus don't trigger the "safely remove hardware" icon because they're managed differently as far as their data buffers and are thus not susceptible to the possible loss-of-data occurring when the connection cable is just pulled out. Hence no need to first "safely remove hardware" before disconnection. Certain cameras and portable music players can connect in this MTP mode, sometimes called PTP.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/305645-missing-safely-remove-hardware-usb-icon.html
Relevancy 89.44%

My "Safely remove hardware" icon is not present anymore in the bottom taskbar, and after a Google search, I still cannot get it back. Tried some of the recommdations but none works.

Anyone know how to restore this?

Thanks

Relevancy 89.44%

Hello all,

After using my USB memory stick this evening, I went to the taskbar to click the "safely remove hardware" icon, only to find it was not there. I restarted the computer (my catch-all trouble shooting method) and still did not get an icon when I inserted the USB drive. I also tried plugging in my iPod and got no icon. (Note: the flash drive and iPod function perfectly fine, it's just the "safely remove hardware' icon that's missing - annoying) Did I inadvertantly change some sort of setting or something? Help...

The computer is an HP PCm7250n running XP mediacenter edition, the flash drive in question is a SanDisk cruzer micro.

Thanks,

Mac

Relevancy 89.44%

I have a DELL 8100 with WIN XP Pro installed. Recently the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the sys-tray has disappeared. How can I retrieve it and, in the meantime, can I safely disconnect USB equipt. without first shutting down?

Relevancy 89.44%

I always have this damn "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on my task bar. For some reason the damn XP OS wants me to disconnect my printer and cd drive? Is there a way to get rid of this?

Relevancy 89.44%

It's gone. I use my camera a lot and I've gotten use to using the icon to disconnected it from my computer. But, recently the icon fails to come up when I reboot. I've tried the "always show" option on the hide inactive icons menu, nothing. How can I get it to come back up and stay up? Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-need-safely-remove-hardware-icon-back.353887/
Relevancy 89.44%

How to: Remove system "Favorites" icon from Windows 7 desktop

A:Remove system "Favorites" desktop icon

I'm not really sure what this means.
How to: Remove system "Favorites" icon from Windows 7 desktop. What is a system Favorites icon? When you left click on this icon what opens?
If you have installed a icon on your desktop and no longer want it just drag and drop to recycle bin. This works most of the time. You can also right click on it and go to delete, this also works most of the time. Get back and let us know how thing are going.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/184056-remove-system-favorites-desktop-icon.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hello,

I have installed via a USB socket on my computer a Belkin-branded Wireless USB adapater. This device, although removable, will not be removed regularly from the computer and so I would like the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon to not be displayed because of it, as it currently is. The option to hide the icon via the Taskbar properties is not the fix I am looking for, either.

Does anyone know of some type of a fix to do this...perhaps a registry entry?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 89.44%

I just updated my laptop from the original version of Windows to Version build and have a strange issue with my USB ports The USB port works as expected However I attempted to create a recovery drive on after "Safely update Icon" No Remove Win 10 Hardware thumb drive using a USB port The recovery creating process stalled seeming not to recognize the thumb drive in the USB port I tried the same thing using the USB port and it worked as expected When I plug in a thumb drive into the USB port it is recognized in File Explorer and I can successfully write to and delete files from the drive However the thumb drive doesn't appear in the quot Safely Remove Hardware Icon quot in the system tray When I insert or remove the thumb drive I don't get the quot USB connect disconnect quot chime either The USB port works exactly as it should I changed the drivers as suggested No "Safely Remove Hardware Icon" after Win 10 update in the following thread http www tenforums com drivers-hardware -usb-port-oddities html The issue still exists Other than creating the recovery drive the issue doesn't seem to cause any problems but it just doesn't seem No "Safely Remove Hardware Icon" after Win 10 update right Has anyone else seen this issue and does anyone have a solution

A:No "Safely Remove Hardware Icon" after Win 10 update

Same for me. Thanks to whoever will find a solution.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/31214-no-safely-remove-hardware-icon-after-win-10-update.html
Relevancy 89.44%

I have set up several Windows 7 computers to always show the "Safely remove hardware" icon in the system tray, when a flash drive is installed.

However, the Windows 7 Home edition I have just installed doesn't list that icon as an option when I click on customise. How can I get that option to appear so that I can change it from "only show notification"?

A:Show icon for "safely remove hardware"

When you put in a flash drive(usb stick) it will show on the bottom right side of task bar. As soon as you want to remove that item click on the little icon and it will direct or tell you that you can now safely remove it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/97124-show-icon-safely-remove-hardware.html
Relevancy 89.44%

Hi there!

First of all, as this is my first post, I would like to congratulate you all for the nice forum this seems to be.

I upgraded my desktop computer this weekend and installed Windows XP SP2 from fresh. The only problem I'm still having is that the "Power Meter" always shows up on the taskbar! I always uncheck the "Always show icon on the taskbar" option in the "Power Options" "Advanced" tab, but after the next reboot, the "Power Meter" shows up!

Has anyone experienced this before? Can anyone help me please?

Thanks a lot in advance!

A:Cannot remove "Power Meter" from taskbar

Perhaps you have selected the option of a Laptop instead of a desktop. The power indication is necessary for a battery powered system. In the options you indicated you 'll also find the settings for energy shedules. Choose the home or office option.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-remove-power-meter-from-taskbar.565603/
Relevancy 89.44%

and "Pin to Start Menu"? Also, as a bonus if someone can help me with removing "Run as administrator" I've scoured Google and only a few results provided me a registry trick, but that doesn't work on all applications.

The one in my screenshot is an explorer.exe shortcut (.lnk file) on my quick launch bar and seems to be the only application shortcut I can't figure out how to remove. I think reg hack used to work prior to some Windows update patch:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\explorer.exe --> right-click the right hand pane and create an empty String value named IsHostApp (then reboot or restart explorer.exe via the Task Manager).

A:How to remove "Pin to Taskbar" context menu?

There are some helpful suggestions in this article:
Edit Context Menu Items In Windows 7 & Vista

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/138515-how-remove-pin-taskbar-context-menu.html
Relevancy 89.44%

I recently put my camera memory card into my computer to download photos. I couldn't open them and need to leave so hit "remove device" figuring that I'd go back later when I had more time to get them. When I went back and reinserted the card it didn't show up. I've tried to "add a device" but it still doesn't work. When I hit the device and printers icon it doesn't show up.

What do I do?

A:Retrieve device after hitting "Remove Device"

Reboot the system and try again.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/37833-retrieve-device-after-hitting-remove-device.html
Relevancy 89.01%

Hi I m trying to reinstall my sister s scanner driver because XP has decided that it s not there any more This happens occasionally and usually reinstalling the driver fixes it I think that s what I did last time but this time i just can t get it to work If i unplug the USB cable then plug it in again it comes up with a message saying that the device has malfunctioned and it doesn t recognize it I have the driver CD but windows always manages to install it as quot Unknown device quot before i can tell it to search the CD I ve tried telling it to reinstall the driver from - Stubborn Device" and "Unknown "Malfunctioned Scanner Device" Driver the CD but it says that there are quot no better matches for this device quot I ve also tried uninstalling the program form the Stubborn Scanner Driver - "Malfunctioned Device" and "Unknown Device" CD and reinstalling it then restarting the pc but that didn t help either I tried plugging it into another USB port as suggested by Windows Help Center but that still didn t work It s not often that something like this gets me in a circle and scratching my head but I m really starting to run out of ideas Any help would be very appreciated i just want to get this thing running again nbsp

A:Stubborn Scanner Driver - "Malfunctioned Device" and "Unknown Device"

Could it be that the scanner really did die?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/stubborn-scanner-driver-malfunctioned-device-and-unknown-device.93409/
Relevancy 89.01%

A while ago, ALL my htm and html file icons in Windows Explorer changed to white paper icons with the corners turned town.

I do not have this problem with any other icons--just htm and html.
I do not have this problem with other file managers, such as XYplorer or Shelless.

The problem is only htm and html file icons in Windows Explorer.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks,
Janet
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

A:"Internet Explorer icon" = "white paper icon"

try the fixes suggested here: Incorrect or generic Windows icon displayed for HTM and HTML files

Please update your OS details as it currently shows as "XPPro":
Top of forum page > Quick Links >> Edit Your Details

If you post for help in future and forget to include your Windows version in your post, we assume it's the version shown under your username, so keeping it up to date is important to avoid giving you irrelevant advice.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/internet-explorer-icon-white-paper-icon-648004.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi

I just installed a SATA hard drive in my new motherboard, but in windows xp I get the "safely remove hardware" icon on the system tray, which refers to my hard drive.

Is there a way to tell windows that I'm not going to remove the hard drive so I don't have to see the icon?

Relevancy 88.58%

See the "Other" section. It was an icon for Nero Scout when I tried a demo version of Nero 7. I've since removed Nero 7 via Add/Remove and through the registry and can't find where this orphaned item sits there to get rid of it. Any ideas anyone?

Relevancy 88.58%

Is there a way to remove it from the desktop without venturing into the registry?

A:How Do I Remove the "Homegroups Icon" From My Desktop

Do you mean from Windows Explorer tree?

I don't know of any other way, but it's easily done;

Homegroup - Add or Remove from Navigation Pane

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210831-how-do-i-remove-homegroups-icon-my-desktop.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi guys I was having trouble getting an old obscure video codec to load so I tried to install it manually and I screwed up which resulted in a duplicate quot Video Codecs quot field in the quot Sound video and game controllers quot field of Device Manager Pic here http picasaweb google com siesee DropBox authkey rHF PcRz Q I ve found plenty of pages that explain how to remove codecs but my problem now "video device of remove extra codecs" from manager instance isn t removing a specific codec it s removing the duplicate quot Video Codecs quot entry If I right click on it there is no uninstall option like many of the other devices When view the properties of the duplicated item it lists no codecs whereas the codecs appear in the original item and now when I try to play any kind of video I only get audio only tried with WMP so far Someone had suggested I try Unlocker but that didn t work that prog doesn t affect remove extra instance of "video codecs" from device manager the contextual menu in Device Manager Any ideas Thanks Troy nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remove-extra-instance-of-video-codecs-from-device-manager.754363/
Relevancy 88.58%

Hi yes I know this is no doubt this is one of those quot stupid quot questions but I have searched the web and the printers own userguides but cannot find any ref Printer? remove I out pull plug USb Do simly or on "Safely Device" use to this at all I would like to settle a disagreement My Laptop Do I use "Safely remove Device" or simly pull out plug on USb Printer? is a Dell D running WinXP Pro SP We have a Photosmart D Printer Do I use "Safely remove Device" or simly pull out plug on USb Printer? which is mainly used by my husband who connects directly into it using a USB cable plugged into his laptop I normally print to my own printer but on occasions use his and to do so he disconnects the USB cable and plugs it into mine BUT I thought you should always use the quot Stop quot the hardware Safely remove USB device quot feature for all removable devices before pulling out the cable so that it checks to see if anything is still using the device or files And not doing so could either cause you to lose date if usiing a storage device cause portable media corruptions or damage your PC He has always just quot pulled out the cable quot says he s too busy to use stop the device In fact he does that with all USB devicesm including storage devices and memory sticks etc I always use stop the devices first in the case of the printer goto quot safely remove HP Photosmart D series quot which only takes a few seconds to do I even called HP tech support was sent to a helpdesk overseas to ask for the answer saying I had checked ALL their guides and online help and coudl not find the answer they chuckled and said quot Well that info is not in the user guide because the answer is so simple and so obvious quot you just need to pull out the cable madam anytime you need to and device can be switched on he went on to say you can do this with all USB devices and this won t cause any damage When I challenged him about using the safely remove devices feature - he stopped being flippant and said quot Ummmm I have not heard of that before and therefore have NEVER used it quot I asked not even with storage devices and he said NO which I found odd as I thought you MUSt use this with storage devices as not doing so coudl cause you to lose data So please can someone confirm what we SHOULD be doing in order to not risk damaging our PC Laptops I also have a Wireless USB Mouse and would like to know if I need to stop that before removing it Currently I don t disconnect it till the laptop is switched off Many Thanks tamba nbsp

A:Do I use "Safely remove Device" or simly pull out plug on USb Printer?

The main reason for using "Safely Remove" is that there are file caches that may not have been completely transferred to the device, usually a drive of some sort or other memory device, and disconnecting suddenly can cause loss of that data, and possible damage to the device's file system.

In the case of a printer that has no current printing jobs, chances are there is nothing to be gained by using "Safely Remove" and there is no data to be lost. But the printer should certainly be turned off to avoid power spikes, and using SR is a good habit to get into even if it causes no damage in this particular case not to use it. You can minimize the possibility of problems by looking for the device in Device Manager and setting it to be optimized for "Quick Removal". But not all devices have such a setting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/do-i-use-safely-remove-device-or-simly-pull-out-plug-on-usb-printer.687461/
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi Guys, any ideas how to access my external hard drive [TOSHIBA MK3029GACE] device manager can see it but it does not appear in disc management.

I use this HDD perfectly in my car HDD player. But when I try to connect it to my Laptop, it does not show up in disk management.

Please check the attached screen shot..

Thanks for the help....

A:HDD shows in "Device Manager" but not in "DiskPart"or" Disk Management

Specs show that drive has a ATA-6 interface (P-ATA, or IDE). How are you connecting this drive to your laptop? Does the laptop have a PATA or SATA connection? Does it use an adapter?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/347111-hdd-shows-device-manager-but-not-diskpart-disk-management.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi guys. I noticed that in Win7, the applications in the new Quick Launch move if you run one of the applications in the "Pinned to Taskbar" section. For example, if I have Windows Explorer and Firefox next to each other and I click to open Windows Explorer, the Firefox icon will slide far to the right so that it's after the Windows Explorer task in the taskbar.

Is there a way to keep the new quicklanuch icons in Win7 in the same place, like WinXP?

A:Force Apps "Pinned to Taskbar" ("Quicklaunch" in WinXP) stay next to Start Button

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/force-apps-pinned-to-taskbar-quicklaunch-in-winxp-stay-next-to-start-button.942281/
Relevancy 88.15%

I recently put my camera memory card into my computer to download photos. I couldn't open them and need to leave so hit "remove device" figuring that I'd go back later when I had more time to get them. When I went back and reinserted the card it didn't show up. I've tried to "add a device" but it still doesn't work. When I hit the device and printers icon it doesn't show up.

What do I do?

A:Rectrieve device after hitting "Remove Devise"

Reboot the system and try again.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/37833-rectrieve-device-after-hitting-remove-devise.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Hello,

I'm in the process of clearing up my right click menus after installing Windows 10. I found guides for all menu items I wanted to get rid of here on TenForums (Yay!), but I can't find a guide on how to remove the "Cast to Device" item.
Is there a way to remove it (for folders and files)?

rgds
RIPsumCT

A:Remove "Cast to Device" from Right Click Menu

Hello!

Same problem here. Seemingly no solution yet to this on the entire internet ...

... until now:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Blocked]
"{7AD84985-87B4-4a16-BE58-8B72A5B390F7}"="Play To menu"
Spent quite some hours engineering this, so I hope some people find it useful!

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/9406-remove-cast-device-right-click-menu.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Recently, I purchased an HP desktop computer with win8. I have a Rii mini keyboard remote control that is only a few months old and has worked reasonably well with my previous Acer laptop. Now though, it has stopped working completely and I can't uninstall it from the "Devices and Printers" page. When I click on "remove device" and then confirm, it doesn't remove, it's still there. I would like to uninstall to re-install and see if it works with a fresh install.

signed,
shewood1

A:HID device won't remove from "Devices and Printers" page

Hey, I have the same device.... it appears to be a re-branded Ipazzport.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/15492-hid-device-wont-remove-devices-printers-page.html
Relevancy 87.72%

I think something i installed had virus. Chrome, Explorer, Firefox, Microsoft word 2007, Memo and everything except pictures is not opening. Instead a file opens saying,"Do you want to open and save file?" Clicking everything does not work. everything
except pictures is shown by a internet explorer sign. I have another account on this computer but it works fine. I searched this on bing on Hp dock. Please help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aa064950-caf2-4fbc-9c08-9a8218b21118/chrome-firefox-sticky-notes-microsoft-word-2007-and-almost-everything-except-pictures-is-showing?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 87.72%

I think something i installed had virus. Chrome, Explorer, Firefox, Microsoft word 2007, Memo and everything except pictures is not opening. Instead a file opens saying,"Do you want to open and save file?" Clicking everything does not work. everything
except pictures is shown by a internet explorer sign. I have another account on this computer but it works fine. I searched this on bing on Hp dock. Please help.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e80580d0-2618-458b-90a8-6e37100cc195/chrome-firefox-sticky-notes-microsoft-word-2007-and-almost-everything-except-pictures-is-showing?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 87.72%

On my task bar [right click on task bar] there are two folders called "SexoBFAXes". I have run a search and spybot, but I cannot find the location of these folders/files so I can remove them from the taskbar list. Anyone know where they would be on my pc or how I can find them. Thanks.

Relevancy 87.72%

Is there a way to remove the Windows "Orb" on the left side of the taskbar and still be able to access the Start Menu. It may have something to do with having Aero enabled, but I am pretty sure I dont have the orb on my other machine at work that has Aero enabled. I dont like the way it covers the file information in Explorer...... it never goes away, even when the taskbar is hidden!! ......... Anyone know how to disable it without disabling Aero?
Thanks

A:How to remove Windows "Orb" on Taskbar

That's not normal behavior if you have the taskbar on autohide the button should slide down with the rest of the task bar.
Have you added any third party theme software?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/168133-how-remove-windows-orb-taskbar.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hi. I recently downloaded "Clover" after reading a tweaks thread, because it seemed cool, and It is pretty cool. The issue I have with it is on the taskbar tab it shows that ugly green image.

Anyone use clover and know how to remove the name clover and its icon/image?

A:Remove "Clover" from taskbar tab

Right-click on it's icon and click on unpin this program from taskbar.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/42466-remove-clover-taskbar-tab.html
Relevancy 87.72%

All of a sudden this appeared on my taskbar.

How can i get rid of it? There doesn't seem a way to get rid of it. I tried right-clicking it.

Has anyone else recieved this yet?

When i click on the icon, i recieve this pop-up about upgrading

Tip
See: Get Windows 10 Icon - Remove from Taskbar in Windows 7 and 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

A:Remove "Get Windows 10" from taskbar

First time I am seeing the nag screen. Is it here already?

Did you check Task Manager? Maybe you can end it there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/371424-remove-get-windows-10-taskbar.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Good afternoon Whilst uninstalling software drivers etc from a computer laptop that is to be reissued to shown device in HELP!! cannot - remove "computer" another employee with no HELP!! - cannot remove device shown in "computer" such requirements in quot computer quot its still showing a device marked in quot other quot category descibred as Motorola phone system folder the folder icon is marked with the bluetooth logo so it has to be someting to do with the pairing syncing that the phone did when connecting to the laptop However if you right click on the folder in an effort to disable or delete it Windows explorer hangs and restarts There is no reference left to Motorola in any of the program files or updates or in the Windows system folder even with show hidden files selected No reference in Device Manager either It could be a registry issue but I know nothing about registry editing and am not even going to try unless someone has a rock solid approach to offer on it System Restore is out as this is a new account profile that was set up and the old one deleted A little help would be appreciated Its not affecting computer operation but its annoying if you click on it and Windows Explorer simply restarts and a new employee isn't going to think much when getting IT equipment assigned like that Thanks Clive

A:HELP!! - cannot remove device shown in "computer"

Try going into the Bluetooth settings in Control Panel and remove any Motorola specific settings. You can also check to see any Motorola programs or drivers installed in the system and uninstall them from Programs and Features in Control Panel.

You could also disable the Bluetooth functionality in Device Manager.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/194085-help-cannot-remove-device-shown-computer.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I installed a USB2 card reader that fits into a floppy bay a few days ago. It has the 10pin plug that goes directly to the motherboard. It was immediately recognized by XP on the next boot. I tested it with my Sony Memory Stick and it works just like it should. The problem is in the systray icon. It is not for stopping the drive like it was with the camera connected directly, like it was before. It is there to "uninstall" the reader itself. It is seen as a "mass storage device" even with no card installed. I figured out how to stop the drive when a card is in the unit, but the icon remains for the unit itself. Is this something I just have to live with? I can't just unplug it when I'm not using it, it is internal. It is not really hurting anything, I just wondered.

A:"Remove Hardware" icon

right-click the notification area, and selecting Properties. Under the Notification area heading, click Customize. Find the Safely Remove Hardware icon and select Always hide in the Behaviour column next to it (press OK and Apply )

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/remove-hardware-icon.200007/
Relevancy 86.86%

--Love the website motto stupid questions are easiest to solve I am running Win x on a newly installed non-laptop MSI ZH A-G motherboard with i - I spent a couple of days ensuring that I had device" unplugged" "device Thumb "unknown drive installed all of Thumb drive "unknown device" "device unplugged" the drivers including the chipset facilitated by MSI s LiveUpdate I have a simple USB thumb drive I take it to my roommate s VISTA computer--it plugs in just fine I cleaned rewrote read I did a check for errors scan in properties it is FAT formatted with default allocation size I plug it into my computer detailed at top I am not even getting a common problem-- quot unrecognized USB device quot It does not even know that it is USB apparently--I get an error box from the system tray TITLED Driver Software Installation Device driver software was not successfully installed ---- unknown device fat red X Device unplugged unidentified device fat red X Device unplugged ---- nonsense help links from MSFT CLOSE box SIDE-EFFECTS There is a small led on the thumb drive that shines steady assumably indicating something is wrong nevertheless power is present normally it flashes on and off a couple of times when recognized on VISTA computer yes I tried multiple USB plugins on front and back of tower-case I hear an audible quot g-dunk quot sound every second The Device Manager window though functional and operational briefly flashes in response to every g-dunk a second later INTERESTINGLY I finally tried plugging the non-USB -year-old device into either of my USB ports I get no error window no install no function no side-effects except the led illumination ATTEMPTED Multiple google searches and tech forums I ran sfc -- microsoft s system file checker The device cannot be enabled disabled uninstall drivers--not present in Device Manager I SHOWED hidden devices including the simple CMD prompt to SHOW Uninstalled the USB Root Hubs and Generic USB Hubs in Device Manager rebooted MSI CommandCenter shows all voltages stable Voltage also stable V V CPU-IO Vcore I even contacted PNY manufacturer for advice--they responded that this is a simple USB device and there are no device drivers manufacturer-specific to this USB thumb drive Since I admitted that it works in roommate s system--they blame the other system--soft or hardware nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

I right clicked on the Taskbar and checked Quick Launch and hit the Apply button. This put the Quick Launch toolbar on the Taskbar with the Show Desktop and Internet Explorer icons. I deleted them and now I can't duplicate this action. I can get the Internet Explorer icon back. But I can't get the Show Desktop icon back.

Does anyone know how to get the Show Desktop icon back on the Quick Launch toolbar.

Thanks,

royeo

A:How to get the "Show Desktop" icon back the "Quick Launch" toolbar

Go here http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm and go down to where it says 'Restore Show Desktop Icon'. Download the exe and run it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-get-the-show-desktop-icon-back-the-quick-launch-toolbar.527177/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hello

My Brand new Laptop: Lenovo g505 after upgrading it to windows 8.1 from MS Apps store now i am not able to connect to internet i get "limited" or "No Internet Access". i have tried to re install the driver no luck

Lenovo support suggests to do factory rest but i dont want to go back to windows 8

Does anyone else has any other idea on how to fix this issue ?
Thank you very much

A:Windows 8.1 Wifi showing "limited" or "No Internet Access"

Try rebooting the router & modem. Usually limited connection, means that the compute has failed to communicate properly with the Wireless Access Point, or wired router connection.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/41257-windows-8-1-wifi-showing-limited-no-internet-access.html
Relevancy 86.43%

My hard drive not showing in "my computer" or "Disk Management" but is showing under device manager. I got the hard drive from a friend and his dad had put a Password encryption on it. Any Ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/60253-hard-drive-not-showing-my-computer-disk-managment-help.html
Relevancy 85.57%

This message continues to pop up even when I think I've deleted it.  When it does pop up, my mouse freezes so I have to restart my PC. Sometimes it doesn't pop up, but most of the time it does. I'm getting very aggrevated.  I have Window
8.1. Thank you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3b87011b-bdba-4cc1-9280-b969ddd965da/how-do-i-remove-the-device-quotusb-device-is-not-workingquot-?forum=w8itprohardware
Relevancy 85.57%

The hard drive is a Western Digital 320 GB that I've had plugged into this computer before (and worked). Then i got a virus and had to do a recovery of windows.

Ever since then I can't get windows to recognize/show it in my computer. I just "disabled" and "enabled" it in device manager to no effect. I have a C, D, and E drive which are: two partitions on the hard drive, and then the CD drive (respectively).

So i'm stuck, not sure where to proceed since it's obviously not the hard drive itself, I use it on my xbox all the time. What next?

A:External Hard Drive doesn't show up in "my computer" but does in "device manager"

Does it show in Disk Management ? ?
Right clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management.
Find the drive...right clik it and select Properties.
Report back with your findings.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/276295-external-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up-my-computer-but-does-device-manager.html