Windows Support Forum

partitioned hard drive is disappearing...

Q: partitioned hard drive is disappearing...

Hi, lately I have been experiencing some wierd problems with my computer.

I can't somehow boot into windows 2000 from my Master hard drive.

I think the problem stemmed from me downloading this game program in exe format (I know, my fault for running it).

My computer seemed fine for the first few days, as I never shut down my computer. But when I reboot my computer, one of my partitioned hard drives just seemed to disappear.

Then when I reboot again, the computer logged me into a blue background with white text saying

a corrupt file with Wininet.dlll, that it had a bad image and the checkSum was corrupt.

Can someone help me out? I would be greatly appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-is-disappearing.587349/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: partitioned hard drive is disappearing...

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 71.38%

Hello Recently bought a new Laptop D External files Change Partitioned Hard to back up from Drive Drive? and went through all the setting up process one of which was Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive? Windows back up At the time I just went for the partitioned drive option but after a week I've decided to buy an external Hard drive for my back ups instead My questions are Can I easily change the destination of the back up files Do I just delete everything on Drive D once I'm backing up to an external Hard Drive or will Windows give me this option when I change to external Hard Drive The Back up is done on a schedule so how do I get on when the date passes Will it ask me to plug my external Hard Drive in the next time I boot up Finally I'd like to back up our Desktop too running on Vista Can I just partition the external Hard Drive and keep our laptop and Desktop backed up on the same hard drive Cheers Matthew

A:Change back up files from D Partitioned Drive to External Hard Drive?

Hi Matthew -

You don't need to partition the HD to keep your different backups on it.

The WindowsImageBackup file needs to be named only that and in the root of the external to reimage from the booted DVD or Repair CD, however you can click on it to see which PC it is for.

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
Backup User and System Files

I don't like the way Win7 file backup works so I drag the active User folder from each computer here to external once per month, then update the backup image every few months. You may decide to go Manual after trying the automated backup, since you'll need to move the external to catch the backup anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/131476-change-back-up-files-d-partitioned-drive-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,

I have a partitioned hard drive. Windows98 is on C and Windows2000NT on D. I would like to put XP on the C: part. Can I FDISK just the C: portion of my hard drive?

A:Partitioned Hard Drive

Yes you can. Follow this procedure:
Start>>run>> type "cmd">> format C:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive.544621/
Relevancy 71.38%

Folks
I am a babe in the woods just getting on my feet so please bear with me.
I have swapped out a shot hard drive from my Dell Inspiron 546 for a new 1Tb one. The dell is running a AMD Phenom X4 64. I plan to partition the new hard drive and right now it has the new windows 10 on it . I have found a lot of my programs do not work properly with 10 on the older Dell. I don't know if it's possible but can I partition, keeping the 32 bit Win10 in one and down load a 64 bit copy of Win7 on the new partition,hopping to end up running a Win 10 32 bit on 'C' and a 64 bit Win 7 on the new partition?
Possible?or pipe dream?

Any input will be most welcome and appreciated!

Flypaper 

A:Partitioned 1Tb Hard Drive and 2 OS.

It should be possible to do this.  However I have to admit I haven't set up a dual boot system on one disk since Windows 7 era.  It could be there are some extra complications.  One of which is that Windows 10 seems to create more partitions for itself than older versions of Windows (I have 4).  If Windows 10 is 32bit, then the disk will be in MBR rather than GPT format.  You can check this in Disk Management.  In Disk Management, right click the drive and choose "Properties" and choose the "Volumes" tab.

The implication of MBR format is it limits you to 4 primary partitions (or 3 primary, 1 extended).  It would be helpful if you include a screenshot of your main Disk Management window to show how your drive is currently partitioned.

Another possible issue is that it is usually easier to install the older O/S first (i.e. Windows 7) and create space for the newer one (i.e. Windows 10), then install that second.  This is because Windows traditionally doesn't "play nicely" with O/S's it doesn't recognise, and tends to overwrite the boot loader, potentially leaving your original OS unbootable.  Windows 10 installer will recognise an existing Windows 7 install, but Windows 7 installer won't necessarily recognise a Windows 10 install...

I also wanted to install Windows 7 on my Windows 10 system for various reasons, and for me, the easier solution was to use a separate hard drive for Windows 7.  I disconnected the primary disk and installed Windows 7 to a second hard drive, then reconnected the Win 10 drive once the install was done.  This prevents the Windows 7 installer from interfering with the Windows 10 install in any way..  This means I don't get a boot menu, but fortunately my system has a boot override key (F12) which allows me to select which drive to boot from at startup without having to go into BIOS.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/587760/partitioned-1tb-hard-drive-and-2-os/
Relevancy 71.38%

My computer has a 4 Gig hard drive that is partitioned. I keep having to clean out the C part and if I could move some of my programs, etc. to the D side, it would help quite a bit.

I have added a 20 Gig Drive that I use for correspondence and other things, so I have plenty of memory, but do not know what I need to do to organize.

I understand there is some software that will eliminate the partition, or rearrange the drive contents.

Any helpful advise would be appreciated.

Relevancy 71.38%

My hard drive is partitioned C: and F:. Will a clean install of 7 over XP currently installed on C: mess with my F: drive?? In other words can I save all my stuff to F:??
Thanks

A:Hard drive partitioned

No.. Your F drive will be just fine... nothing will change, your data is safe..

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/30351-hard-drive-partitioned.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Trying to install my old hard drive (as a second hard drive) to my new PC (Win.ME)so I can retrieve files. The new PC recognized the old hard drive (named it D)and I was able to access it. My problem is the old hard drive was partitioned. The new PC allows me to see the files in the main partition but not the second partition. It doesn't recognize the second section and thats the section I really want to get to. Any thoughts on how I can access that second section? Thanks

Relevancy 71.38%

I'm running on Windows XP. A recent crash left me with several functions missing so I decided to reload Windows from a recovery disk. This has worked except that I seem to have partitioned my hard drive. I have a drive C with 10gb free out of 147gb which is fine for me, and a J drive with 10kb free out of 10.7Gb. The computer wants to use drive J and is ignoring C, hence I'm getting constant "Critically Low Disk Space" error messages. I rather feel I might have to reload Windows again but can anyone tell me what I did wrong last time? Or is there a way of merging both drives?

Thanks again for your help.

Apothecary

A:Partitioned Hard Drive

System manufacturer and model?

When using a recovery/restore disk to reinstall Windows...the instructions, explanation, etc. for how that all works...are determined by the system manufacturer.

Some such disks also utilize an additional partition on the hard drive (which they created during the install of XP) which is necessary in order for the recovery/restore mechanism to function properly.

You would have to consult either your system documentation (owner's manual) or the manufacturer's website...for specifics regarding such.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/261680/partitioned-hard-drive/
Relevancy 71.38%

My hard drive is partitioned and I have Windows and Programs on C, and everything else on D.

Is there any particular reason for keeping the Programs on C? Have just done a re-format and have several hours work ahead of me re-installing programs and applications. It would make life lot easier if all I had to contend with on C was Windows.

Thanks !

Relevancy 71.38%

Hi everyone, I recently bought a computer from a friend, at the time, it was running Windows ME but since then I have updated it to XP Professional. My problem is that since I have had the computer it has always listed in Explore a C, D, and E drive. Physically of course there is only one hard drive in my machine, but is there anyway in which I can bring them altogether so that they just make a bigger C drive?

Cheers for any help you can give

Relevancy 71.38%

Why have I got 2 drives Do I need both

A:partitioned hard drive

If you mean from the factory, your "everyday" drive, usually C: is what you're using. The D: retores your computer to the way you received it. Other letters would be for other drives like your optical drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/partitioned-hard-drive-661177.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I AM TRYING TO FORMAT A HARD DRIVE THAT HAS BEEN PARTITONED INTO THREE PARTS?? CAN YOU HELP ME WITH THAT? I'D LIKE TO RE-PARTITION IT AND REFORMAT IT. ITS AN OLD PC IBM APTIVA. ALSO WHEN I TRY TO START THE PC IT KEEPS SAYING NON SYSTEM DISK ERROR, REINSERT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY. HELP PLEASE!!!!

Relevancy 70.52%

I have Windows XP , total physical memory 2,058MB, available physical memory 1.26 gb. My hard drive is partitioned into Drive C, with 20GB capacity, 1.45 GB free space (7% ), and Drive D, with 213 GB capacity and 213 GB free space.

With only 7% free space in Drive C, I am restricted in doing some things such as defragmenting and using some programs. How do I take advantage of all this empty space on Drive D, which is just sitting there, to relieve the pressure on Drive C?

A:Partitioned Hard Drive Question

If you used partition magic do not use it again. I would suggest using gparted it is a Linux based partitioner program and is free and 100 times better than the other ones. You can resize the partitions on both drive with out screwing up the drives but to be safe I would backup all of the important data first. Remember every time you turn your back the computer will give it too you royally so be safe backup first.

GParted - Gnome Partition Editor
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-question.685440/
Relevancy 70.52%

i have a slave hard drive i got from a computer that got a new hard drive just put it and the hard drive has is partitioned into two parts how do i go about getting it back into one partition.

A:partitioned slave hard drive

Howdy,

If you don't have any data on it ....you can go to Windows Disk Management and partition and format it.

Go Start then right click on My Computer then Manage and on the left Disk Management and right click on the drive in Question

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-slave-hard-drive.531362/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi there.
Somewhere along the way my hard drive got partitioned, and it is causing lots of problems with my computer running properly. My C drive only has 3% of its space left, so I can't even defragment the disk. My C drive's total size is 6.53 GB and it has only 256 MB of free space left, while my D drive's total size is 21.4 GB and it has 9.45 GB of free space. I have tried getting rid of programs that I don't need in C, and I don't want to get rid of any more. I have tried moving programs from C to D, but I don't know if I am doing it right, because it just looks like it is copying them over to D instead of moving them there. What should I do to resolve this issue, please help!!!

A:OUT OF SPACE on partitioned Hard Drive!

Hi... welcome to TSG
I have tried moving programs from C to D, but I don't know if I am doing it right, because it just looks like it is copying them over to D instead of moving them thereClick to expand...

If it copies it onto your D drive, then why not simply delete the original from the C: drive?

if you drag and drop to another drive, windows will (by default) copy it there. if you want it to simply move it wthout cpoying it, then use your right-mouse button and use the cut/paste commands. when you use the cut command, it still copies it but it will automatically delete afterwards

by the way... while there is no problem moving files.... in most cases you cannot copy a program over to another drive. you will have to uninstall it and reinstal onto the D: drive

your partitions are a good setup, but your C: drive should only have windows on it, your D: drive should have everything else. when you install any programs from now on make sure that you direct the instal onto the D: drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/out-of-space-on-partitioned-hard-drive.460047/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi guys,

I need drivers for xp profesional, i have a hp p6205uk that runs win 7 64bit.
i have partitioned my hardrive and have xp running i checked hp website no drivers available.
Can anyone help or provide a link to download them will be most appreciated as im not sure on what to download.
hopefully this will fix graphics sound and screen seems a bit stretched.
thanks people for your time
regards
savy

A:Need drivers for xp on my partitioned hard drive

savy118, welcome to the Seven Forums.

The motherboard has the Intel G41 chipset on it and you can find all the XP drivers for it straight from Intel,

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...27&FamilyId=40

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/130210-need-drivers-xp-my-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Hello,
I've just had a new 40 gb hard drive installed. Vaio software partitions this automatically as 7 gb for C drive and 31 gb for the D drive. I'm using XP. I would like to know if 1) I can partition it more evenly, or 2) I can install all large programs on the D drive, such as Zone Alarm, Norton Security, Word, etc. and have them work as normal. Also, if I move my photos from C to D drive, how can I change the path on the start menu My Pictures button? Thanks in advance.

A:Partitioned laptop hard drive

you can most certainly re-partition you hard-drive. you will however need third-party software in order to do so. i use a program form Powerquest, called Partition Magic v8. I have a 200Gb hdd and i used it to resize my partitions. I does take some time however, but it also depends on how big the drive is. the way i currently use my 2 partitions are C: programs + windows, D: data, music, program installations, iso files (bassically plain storage). the reason for this is if i have to reload my pc's windows i can just format the c: drive and leave all my important data and intallation files on the d: drive intact.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-laptop-hard-drive.518743/
Relevancy 70.52%

I am using XP, I have established the logical and primary partitions, will I lose these partitions I have made after reformatting and reinstalling XP? I am concerned because before I installed Service Pack 1, Windows only looked at my first 130 Gigs of the 200 GIG Hard drive After I reinstall, I will have to reinstall Service PAck 1 again, and I worry about that time in between
thanks for your help
Matt

Relevancy 70.52%

Am looking for opinions on a hard drive issue a hard Question a partitioned drive regarding friend of mine had She has an HP with came with a partitioned drive where the reinstall files are on the D part of the drive She started having a problem with booting up and got into a boot loop and couldn t boot into safe mode at all Than she had nothing when she tried to boot up Took it to a repair shop and they told her the hard drive was dead My question I worked on the computer and was able to boot into the recovery part of the drive reloaded the system onto the C drive and everything so far is fine Ran a scan of the drive which didn t find any problems Now if a drive dies can you boot from a partitioned part of the drive or will the entire drive be dead Am interested in hearing what you have to say about this issue Thanks And so far after being Question regarding a partitioned hard drive up and running for days straight no problems even with loading new programs on the drive nbsp

A:Question regarding a partitioned hard drive

It sounds as though that repair shop should be avoided. Other than that, if the hard drive were dead then no you shouldnt have been able to access the recovery partition either. I would find a way of making an image of the entire drive. Just incase the drive is really bad or going bad. That way you will not lose everything. Then if the drive does die then you would have the image to restore to a new hard drive thus not losing all the HP installed programs, including the OS that came with the system. A good program to use is Acronis True Image. However there is a less expensive possibility. If the drive in question is a Maxtor or a Seagate Drive, you can download free from the Seagate website Maxblast 5. This is in actuallity a lite version of Acronis True Image. It will only work properly if at least one of the drives used is a Seagate or Maxtor drive. Also it can be used to prepare the new drive, Make back up images of the entire drive (or single partitions), and restore the back up images. It can not make incremental back ups.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/question-regarding-a-partitioned-hard-drive.751024/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have a 10 GB hard drive, operating system is Win 98. When my computer was upgraded, evidently they partitioned the hard drive in 2 GB sectors because it only recognizes 2 GB. How do I access the other sectors?

Relevancy 70.52%

ok, i had an external hard drive plugged in while formatting my POS DELL 5150, and it partially partitioned my hard drive. Screw the data by now, I downloaded it agian. When i plug it in though, I hear the ding, or the ping, or the women moaning with pleasure, whatever sound you like to have set up, but it doesn't appear in "my computer". It shows up in the device manager, but i can't figure out if that's where I can start the hard drive off with a clean slate. WTFSID? How can I format it.

A:partially partitioned hard drive

Try this if you're using windows XP or 2k.
Right click on the "my computer" icon , choose MANAGE option.
New window cames out and in the left panel will see a "DISK MANAGEMENT' entry ( it's under the storage). Once you click on DISK MANAGEMENT in the right panel should see your external hard drive. Right click on it and choose FORMAT option.
All the stuff above applies only if in Device Manager the drive shows up without any exclamation points.
HTH

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partially-partitioned-hard-drive.212750/
Relevancy 70.52%

Prior Post Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently http www techsupportforum com secu lp-please html Tetonbob suggested I post here - Please see his comments below The original Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently post is above I do not know how to address this issue with the hard drive space and partitioning I have a G internal hardrive but it is using only G G partition --- not sure why it isn't using the full Can someone help me please ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tetonbob comments Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently - Ok in reviewing these logs a couple things stand out and it's not malware PHYSICALDRIVE - ST A - GiB - partitions C is Fixed NTFS - GiB total GiB free D is Fixed NTFS - GiB total GiB free System Drive C has GiB less than free WindowsXP requires GB free space to operate efficiently So in partitioning your hdd into a GB OS partition you've not left enough headroom to operate I can see you've got some Program Files locations on C drive and some on D drive This means you're using space on both drives for applications where in the type of scenario you've been set up with nothing but the OS should be on C drive to leave it room to operate As this doesn't appear to be malware related to me I'd suggest you ask for assistance in reallocating space on your machine in the Windows XP forum This forum is for malware removal assistance Please let them know you've been here what I've offered as an explanation or post a link to this thread in your new one As full as this drive is even D is getting towards being full you may want to consider adding another hdd or an external drive for storage especially if a lot of that volume is in pictures and videos If you require assistance with that ask the folks in our Hardware section

A:Hard drive maybe partitioned inefficiently

You're basically going to need some partition software so that you can decrease the size of your D drive and increase the size of your C drive.

http://www.buy.com/prod/norton-parti.../20361521.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-maybe-partitioned-inefficiently-179809.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Alright so i just got hold of a new laptop Specs -Windows XP -Intel T GHz MHz FSB MB L Advice Hard Need Partitioned My For Drive cache - GB Ram - MB NVIDIA m GS Need Advice For My Partitioned Hard Drive - GB Hard Drive So I hardly know anything about computers and the laptop i have has come with a Hard Drive already partitioned as GB Primary and Remainder Secondary GB Right So I would like some advice concerning how i should set up my computer that would best suit my needs at least concerning my hard drive For now i won t have any quot super important files or whatever quot for the short longish term future I am pretty much going to be using this laptop to learn more about computers since it s the first one i have ever had Need Advice For My Partitioned Hard Drive I will be downloading music videos movies games Need Advice For My Partitioned Hard Drive surfing the internet alot and will hopefully sometime soon start discovering programs and learning finding different uses for my computer meaning at some point start using my computer closer to it s full potential So any Tips or insight you guys can offer me nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

My computer at turn on says: disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. I do not know what disk they are talking about but I tried the system recovery disk #1 and it told me the drive is not partitioned and to delete it and do I want to contunue? Please help me I want to use my computer to send my children some pictures we have not see each other for 4 years and I have not seen my grandbaby since she was born, I am using a friends computer to do this so can someone help me? thank you

A:hard drive is not partitioned how do I partition it?

what happens if you continue?

you may have an option to create the partition by using the recovery disk, then formatting and the recovery should start but all data will be lost, you'll have to start out with a new install but no docs or pics.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-is-not-partitioned-how-do-i-partition-it.471236/
Relevancy 70.52%

I am new to Window being more familiar with the Macintosh hard 98 SE Windows Partitioned drive, I have an IBM Thinkpad with Windows SE and a partitioned hard drive The quot C partition quot is full and the quot D partition quot is barely used This occured since it is rare to partition a hard drive with a Mac and I never suspected it was partitioned until it was almost full Every time I installed a new program it automatically installed to the C partition and Partitioned hard drive, Windows 98 SE I never realized there was a problem till I got an error message that the C partition was full I have unistalled what I am sure of if I move quot My Document quot folder to the D partition will there be any problem with the applications finding it at the new location Also will I get error messages if it is moved to a new location on the D partition I have also thought about merging the drives with Partition Magic but I have never used the program before so I am a little nervous about really messing up the laptop Thanks for any thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

Background Windows stop laughing - computer crashed last year - when I reinstalled XP-SP hard drive was wiped clean I was told to partition my hard drive Now I m very low on space was told I could just slide drive hard partitioned about Question programs amp files over to the empty partition to Question about partitioned hard drive free up space Tells me I can t because the program file is being accessed Question about partitioned hard drive or used by other users We are not networked but Question about partitioned hard drive everyone in family has their own windows login Responses were to purchase disk management software or add more RAM or hope I have Vista because it s easy I don t know what the point is to the partitioning could someone educate me Also I m too low on space to even scan defrag not sure I d have the space for another program Is there a way to delete the unused parition and have that free space pushed over to the active hard drive Or is my only other option to backup everything on c and reformat nbsp

A:Question about partitioned hard drive

You should be able to use a freeware partitioning tool like Gparted to repartition your drive. See How to boot from a G-Parted-Live-CD(use the instructions to download and build your own Gparted

But be cautious and do your backups first (is always wise)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-partitioned-hard-drive.132672/
Relevancy 70.52%

32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive
I have purchased a brand new computer Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite P750.

I am a trainer and still have to train in Microsoft Office applications 2003, 2007 and now 2010. I want to partition my new computer so that I can run all three versions on it.

The quick installation guide says that during the installation I have to "select one version of operating system if prompted 32 bit or 64 bit". I am leaning towards selecting 32 bit version but am not sure if this is the correct choice.
Can anyone please advise what would be the correct choice?

Also can anyone point me to an easy instruction on how to partition the drive to enable me to run these three versions of office software.

Thanks heaps

A:32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive

Information
We always assume you have made your Recovery Disks using the OEM manufacturer's app the first day you had your new PC.& made the Startup Repair CD.

IMO, I would go with 64 bit.

For MS Office may/may not have problems with all three installed in one OS.
You may like to post in
Microsoft Office - Windows 7 Forums

Do make your Recovery Disks.
How to use Toshiba Recovery.
How to use the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility

You can order Toshiba Recovery disks from here:
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...rification.jsp

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/182033-32-bit-64-bit-version-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I am working on a comp for someone and they have a Pentium 486? with a Maxtor 4 Gig drive. The previous owner partitioned the drive into 2-2gig drives, drive C and drive D. The problem is that drive C is 80% full and drive D is 90% free.

I read the forums on partitioned hard drives and the only answer seems to be repartitioning and formatting. My question is why can't I fdisk to remove the dos logical drive in the extended dos partition, delete the extended dos partition but leave the primary partition active and intact, reboot and come up with a 4 Gig hard drive?

I will appreciate your comments and explanation.

P.S.: For those who know me from previous threads, I flashed my Bios on my old comp and lost it; brought my new one online and it worked maybe 15 minutes and stopped. I bought a new MB and powersupply and running fine, Don

Relevancy 70.52%

It was suggested in another windows forum that I place drive hard bit 64 bit a 32 partitioned on version or this at this forum to see what your answer would be They also suggested that I select the bit I have purchased a brand new computer Windows Toshiba Satellite P I am a trainer and still have to train in 32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive Microsoft Office applications and now I want to partition my new computer so that I can run all three versions on it The quick installation 32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive guide says that during the installation I have to quot select one version of operating system if prompted bit or bit quot I am leaning towards selecting bit version but am not sure if this is the correct 32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive choice Can anyone please advise what would be the correct choice Also can anyone point me to an easy instruction on how to partition the drive to enable me to run these three versions of office software Do I need to also install xp operating system with office software and vista os with software Thanks heaps

A:32 bit or 64 bit version on a partitioned hard drive

This question has been asked again under the title "What would you do"?

Please do not respond to this question and only respond to the conversation titled "What would you do"?

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/182056-32-bit-64-bit-version-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 69.66%

hey hey. is there any way to get it back? lol. i used partition commander. i have a 120 gig hard drive. it was set at 15 gigs on c drive and 100 on d drive... c was so full and d was like... well... empty. so you just KNOW i had to change it. now c drive is about 40 gigs and so is d drive. the pc uses about 5 gigs for whatever. and the rest??? is somewhere in cyber space.... it is not recognized anywhere.... lol. is there any hope? thanks. you guys are great.

A:partitioned then lost at least 20 or more gigs on the hard drive

I'm guessing that you just didn't use all of the available HD space when you repartitioned.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-then-lost-at-least-20-or-more-gigs-on-the-hard-drive.394451/
Relevancy 69.66%

I am running a Lenovo z50-70 laptop which is running on Windows 10.
It currently has a single partition hard drive ( i.e , it only has Local Drive C: ).
I want to make multiple partitions on it, but I am being told since all the memory has already been alloted to C during setting up of windows , its not possible to re-partition the drives without losing data/ re-installing windows.
My main intention to partition the drive is to install Elementary OS ( Ubuntu ) on it.
Is there an alternative of doing this?

A:Partitioning a single partitioned Hard drive

I just recently split my Windows 7 hard drive into equal partitions so I can install and run Windows 10 independently in it.
Depending on how much computer knowledge you have, the process can be easy or difficult or impossible.
Just make sure you know what you're doing and your personal data is backed up before you take the plunge.
This Microsoft article will get you started.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...n#create-format-hard-disk-partition=windows-7

--------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioning-a-single-partitioned-hard-drive.1158494/
Relevancy 69.66%

I have partitioned my hard disk and i want to install xp on one of em and win98 on the other but only one seems to be a bootable partition the other one @extended [email protected] says its not bootable. Or is there an easier way to achieve my goal

Relevancy 69.66%

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 with Windows XP. It came with a partitioned drive. The C: drive has 20 gb of space and is 95% full. The D: drive has 212 gb of space and is 2% full. I would like to transfer files from my C: drive to my D: drive, with the goal of leaving operating system files on the C: drive and everything else on the D: drive. How do I (i) determine which files I can or should transfer and which files I cannot or should not transfer (presume beginner's level of familiarity), and (ii) make the transfer? Thank you.

A:Transferring files in partitioned hard drive

Only move user files, like your pictures/word documents. If you need to move software, the headache you could cause isn't worth it. Uninstall the software and install to the other partition. You can move the whole of your my documents, my music, my pictures, etc... Some reference may stop working, but that shouldn't be much of problem. Just create a new folder on D:\ called documents, pictures, etc... and move the files in to those folders.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transferring-files-in-partitioned-hard-drive.883566/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi I have a Pentium III running windows XP that I recently reformatted the hard drive on and when I did I created 2 partitions (which is new to me). Today I went to add my old hard drive as a slave and it will not recognize it. I'm wondering if it is due to the partitions I made. I can do that configuration right?

Relevancy 69.66%

I have a Sony RS530-G which has a partioned HDD and the C-Drive (OS, etc) portion is full so I can't install MS Updates, Norton Updates etc.
How can I access & purge unwanted files in order to create available space on this drive?

Relevancy 69.66%

When my dad and I first built my computer, he mentioned that we should partition my hard drive, which was a terabyte. However, I've used up 550 GB (I'm a gamer) and now I need more room. I'm not sure how to acquire the other 400 GB and I really would like to get it as I record for YouTube and video files take up a lot of room while recording. I would really appreciate the help, thanks.

Relevancy 69.66%

I upgraded to Windows XP Home Edition, but I had my hard drive partitioned into two drives. Now windows only recognizes one, the C: portion. How do I recover what was on the D drive? I've tried using Find and searching for files that were on that drive, to no avail.

A:partitioned hard drive into 2 drives, upgraded to xp, now one is gone

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-into-2-drives-upgraded-to-xp-now-one-is-gone.288554/
Relevancy 69.66%

When we set up our system, it was suggested we partition our hard drive. Now our c/ is so full we can't run scan/defrag. I was told I could just move files from the c/ partition to the empty d/ partition. The ones I can get to move are still showing in the c/ (i'm sure I hit "move" not "copy"). Regardless most of the moves get aborted saying it is being used by another person. we are not networked, but each family member has their own log in. Help please...I'm thinking I'm making this way harder than it needs to be.

A:Moving files in partitioned hard drive

No you cannot move them out of the partition... leastways not easily.
But using a disk manager such as Acronis, you can enlarge the partition(s)... or add drives. We bought some 500GB hard drives today for $51... and 750GB for $63...
Have you thought about adding another hard drive to your existing configuration?
Creating a dual boot to two or more different hard drives?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/moving-files-in-partitioned-hard-drive.132572/
Relevancy 69.66%

Please bear with me while i explain......

I had two hard drives in my pc. 1st was partitioned C and D the 2nd G and H with the 2nd being regularly cloned from the first as a back up of all my work

Last weekend removed the 2nd hard drive and added a 3rd G partition to the 1st drive. Installed Windows7 on the G partition. Everything fine at this point.

Last night i used Easeus Partition Master Home Edition and resized the G partition, effectively reducing the D partition in size to do this.

Reconnected the 2nd hard drive and rebooted today. The D drive in My Computer and disk management is empty. However Easeus shows it has 17GB used. I have reformatted the D partition and copied data from the J drive (2nd drive now shows as H and J) but on rebooting the same problem.

Where do i start......

Thanks

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi. I recently got a new hard drive and I'm currently trying to install windows 7 from my USB. I initially got the error ''Setup was unable to create a new system partition''. I googled the issue and got to this thread: Setup was unable to create a new system partition. I followed the instructions of harltron in post #6 and partitioned the drive, but when I restarted the computer I got the following error: ''bootmgr is missing'' when my PC tries to install Windows 7 from the USB. I've googled the issue again, but no luck. As you can probably tell, I'm not very tech savvy so if you have any suggestions it would be nice if you could include a quick way to do it

Thanks in advance.

A:Partitioned a new hard drive: Getting bootmgr is missing

Work through these steps for Overcoming Windows 7 Installation Failures - Windows 7 Help Forums

Report back results, as you go if you want as we may see other steps necessary.

Don't forget to unplug all other drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/332949-partitioned-new-hard-drive-getting-bootmgr-missing.html
Relevancy 69.66%

A friend helped me set up my computer running XP pro. The harddrive is partitioned into an C: and D: configuration. However, when I try to access the D: drive, a message tells me the drive is not formatted. IT then tells me formatting will erase all data on the drive.

My question is this; if I format D:, will I lose the Data already on the C: portion of the drive? I am trying to figure out if I need to backup everything on my C: drive before I format.

Thanks for any help.

A:Partitioned Hard drive formatting question

No you would not lose any data on C if your formatted D, If you system files are on C then windows would not let you format C anyway, It's a very good ideal to do back ups anyway ,as i have learnt at great cost.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-formatting-question.321222/
Relevancy 69.66%

An old question that has been asked and answered many times but with a kicker SCENARIO I want to install a Seagate Barracuda ultra ATA V GB RPM hard drive from a Medion MD windows XP machine whose motherboard died into a generic Windows nd Ed machine with two IDE ATA connectors on drive hard Installing partitioned in old computer another the motherboard in order to recover the data THE KICKER the Seagate Barracuda was partitioned into partitions C contained Windows applications and data D contained a backup of all the data I want Installing old partitioned hard drive in another computer to recover and E was used by the Windows recover feature RESULTS I ve installed the Seagate every which way primary slave secondary master secondary slave and even primary master In every case the system recognized the drive as expected and with the exception of the last case which of course Windows XP didn t like only the Installing old partitioned hard drive in another computer quot RECOVER quot partion shows up in quot My Computer quot as DRIVE D QUESTION Is there any way to make either the original C OR D partitions available FACTOID when I do a quot properties quot on both the C existing and D recently installed drives I see that both file systems are FAT I can t be sure but I suspect it was NTFS on the old failed XP system Thank you nbsp

A:Installing old partitioned hard drive in another computer

Win98 won't recognize an NTFS partition without having a NTFS driver installed. I've used NTFS for Win98 from Sysinternals, but when Microsoft bought them they pulled it. However, this site seems to have that program. I haven't tried it myself to confirm it's the same version.

http://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?id=25391

Avira NTFS4DOS Personal might be another option.

HTH

Jerry

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-old-partitioned-hard-drive-in-another-computer.693130/
Relevancy 68.8%

I just installed a new hard drive (Maxtor) to be used as a new boot drive and partioned it into 2 parts. I still have my old hard drive as the slave. I installed all of the contents of my original drive into the new drive. I can see the part of the new drive with all of my files, DRV_Vol1 (C. However, I cannot seem to access the other half of the hard drive.

I went into computer management and storage. I can see the half with my files, but the other part is listed as unallocated and does not show up under 'My Computer".

How can I make this part of my hard drive accessable?

od2b

A:Partitioned Hard drive - can only see part of drive

Create an extended partition in the unallocated space.
Then create a logical drive in the new partition and format with ntfs.
Once finished you should be able to use the partition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/partitioned-hard-drive-can-only-see-part-of-drive.515767/
Relevancy 68.8%

I have an external hard drive but I do NOT want to talk about that as I only want to focus on the storage space inside my computer My computer is now years old It has always had what I believe is a partitioned hard drive with the names Acer C and Data D Each disc appears to about Solved: Hard Curiousity Question drive my Partitioned have GB of storage space although I believe that my computer only has a TOTAL of Solved: Curiousity Question about my Partitioned Hard drive GB of storage My Acer C is getting full so LAST YEAR I transferred a lot of stuff from the Acer C drive to the Data D drive However my Acer C drive did not show Solved: Curiousity Question about my Partitioned Hard drive an increase in it s storage capacity even though my Data D drive showed that it s storage capacity Solved: Curiousity Question about my Partitioned Hard drive was dropping relevant to the amount of stuff I moved over to it I left things like that for a while but after a month with no change or increase in the Acer C storage capacity I moved everything back to Acer C My question is why doesn t my Acer C drive show that it s storage capacity increases when I move things off of it and transfer them to the Data D drive Thanks for any responses I may get Kal nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

i have a partitioned hard drive of which contains C: and D:

D: is the one i am having problems with. all it contains is 'my documents and settings' but there is nothing in them (with the exception of the stuff windows wont let me delete)

when i right click on the drive in my computer it says 24GB has been used when i know for a fact that only 568MB has been used!

I have tries error check, virus scanning with ESET anti-virus, CCleaner and there are no hidden files or folders

my question is how can i either: move my documents and setting to the C: drive (like it should be) and then be able to delete the D: partition

or do something to the D: partition that will get my space back that i so desperately need!

please help me!
thanks

A:Partitioned hard drive is giving the wrong info

(1)i'm running xp and the the headings in 'My Computer' are 'total Size' and 'Free Space'. What does yours show?
(2)when you defragment 'D' what is in the report regards to volume information

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/partitioned-hard-drive-is-giving-the-wrong-info-266925.html
Relevancy 68.8%

My old computer (Windows XP OS) was surged but I was able to retrieve my hard drive. I purchased a case for it and am able to connect to my new computer and read everything. I am unable to completely reformat though. I get a message that says it cannot reformat because there is some program running that the hard drive is using. I have shut everything down and still it will not reformat. I'm also wondering how to remove the partition? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 68.8%

I am hoping someone can guide me through a process. I had my hard drive partitioned (recommended by many people to me). However...since I have had this done... iTunes no longer works. At all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. Tried moving my music files to partition "C" where iTunes was being directed and it said Unable to run this program. NOW a lot of the music I have on my computer is in the iTunes format and I cannot use it in Windows Media Player. Anyone have an answer for me as to what I can do about this??

Thanks!

Relevancy 68.8%

I would like to install 74 bit wins 7 on the factory hard drive that was partitioned with 32bit vista and recovery. Is it possible to partition existing hard drive in to 3 sections and install 64 bit wins 7?

A:loading 64 bit wins 7 on a partitioned hard drive with 32 bit vista

Yup,google has many videos on it, so i'd suggest checking out those.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/301097-loading-64-bit-wins-7-partitioned-hard-drive-32-bit-vista.html
Relevancy 68.8%

i have an Acer aspire 5630 laptop, running windows xp media edtion. It has a 110 GB hard drive which Acer partitioned in 3 parts. The first one im not concerned about its almost 5 GB and called PQ service (EISA configuration. the other 2 are just over 53 GB one has my xp the other was formatted to NTFS, I found I could delete the partition and then from command from extend the main partition typing diskpart, list volume, select the volume i want to extend by typing select volume 1 or whatever then type extend with the amount or if i leave it blank it should extend the partition to the full drive. but when i type extend I get the following message. Diskpart failed to extend the volume. please make sure the volume is valid for extending. And i desperately need the extra space.

Relevancy 68.8%

Okay it basically looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/d9osdwX.jpg

I've had this trouble for a while with the part of the hard drive and it's starting to really bother me only having 60gbs of space on my hard drive.

If anyone has a clue what I could do to fix this please respond.

Relevancy 68.8%

I have been having problems on my Windows XP for almost a cannot Windows disk partitioned) my other XP (hard read drive is week It started when I opened my computer nearly a week ago Windows XP was so slow I also notice that it cannot detetc my drive D As you can see my hard disk is partition into two Windows XP cannot read my other drive (hard disk is partitioned) Windows XP is installed on drive C I put some of my files on drive D They are both GB each My hard disk is GB When I double-click it it displays that it drive D is not yet formatted and Windows XP will ask if I want to format it I never remove or tamper its partition I tried using quot repair quot in the Windows XP Installation Menu when I tried booting the Windows XP CD The problem still wasn t fixed I also boot a windows CD so that I can boot into DOS However when I use DOS to access my drive D It works fine It seems that only Windows XP cannot read my drive D Windows XP also runs so slow Furthermore when I tried using the quot Safe Mode with Command Prompt quot option when starting windows to access drive D it states CRC quot Cyclic Redundancy something quot What can I do to solve this problem nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I m kinda new to upgrading computers and the likes and I Can't + Lost Partitioned drive: hard Boot Windows tried to re-partition my hard drive so that I d be able to put Windows Partitioned hard drive: Lost Windows + Can't Boot in its own place and have the rest free to fill up with data and perhaps install Ubuntu on its own partition too Unfortunately I made the mistake of partitioning the whole drive and ended up with a completely empty hard drive meaning no OS At this point I assumed Partitioned hard drive: Lost Windows + Can't Boot that I d be able to boot up from my DVD drive with my Windows XP disc and go on from there to install W on the smaller partition and then wipe XP from the data partition I was wrong When I try to boot up from the DVD drive all I get is the message NVIDIA Boot Agent Copyright C - NVIDIA Corporation Copyright C - Intel Corporation PXE-E Media test failure check cable PXE-M Partitioned hard drive: Lost Windows + Can't Boot F Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent quot Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot Click to expand Any help I m running an Intel Core Duo processor nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

Not exactly sure how to explain or even exactly what im looking for but basically I had an older laptop running windows home premium that allowed me from the boot menu to re install windows amp home premium w o key or anything It was placed on a partition of re OS installation Hard Partitioned from image Create for only drive my Create OS image only for re installation from Partitioned Hard drive hard drive I would like to do this again but im not sure what exactly im looking for or how to search for it in shorter terms It was an MSI Intel duel core laptop I would like to put it on my toshiba quad core Im familiar with partitioning software and image restoration but not sure what exactly i should be looking for to do this Just a clean Reinstallation of my OS without needing keys i dont care to back up any information except my os which is a clean install Update Toshiba has this HDD recovery but i am not sure if this is what i need want MSI had a MSI recovery which did what i want Is this the same similar

A:Create OS image only for re installation from Partitioned Hard drive

Post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management for the laptop in question.

The old laptop presumably had a "recovery' partition, which allows restoration to factory specifications---not to be confused with a clean install of Windows. As far as I know, the use of a recovery partition does not require the user to enter a Product Key.

If the laptop in question does not have such a partition and you do not have burned or purchased recovery disks, you may be forced to do a true clean install. You can easily download and burn a clean installation disc.

Why is your Product Key not available?

You can of course make an image of any current installation and later restore it, but I assume you are looking for some other method? An image restoration from an image file is not a clean installation either.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/241550-create-os-image-only-re-installation-partitioned-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello Everyone help advice needed please I have a HP laptop that had TB c drive i from Drive Hard Data been thats Recover Faulty partitioned partitioned it into two further drives Drive E and Drive F both had been assigned a drive letter weeks ago my laptops hard drive became faulty and i sent it off to repair with Knowhow I asked my data to be recovered before they put in a new one So what they did was only save what was on my C drive which was hardly anything and NOTHING of my other two important drives Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned E F was saved at all I phoned them up and spoke to the IT section and they said they will send the faulty hard drive back and for me to return it back to them via the store with an external hard drive so it can be recovered so what i want to know is can the data be recovrerd as EVERYTHING was saved on those two drives I have been told various things One said it cant be recovered because the main C drive was partitioned and someone else said it can be i do regular backups but since begining of this year i have not been able to as i was hospitalised in ICU and everything i did before that i didnt manage to backup and now i fear all that has been lost can anyone reassure me that it will be recovwred

A:Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned

As long as the 3 partitions where not over-written by "Knowhow" the data should all be intact and readable to the extent that the drive is readable..

when you get your old HDD back - purchase a HDD to USB external adapter - and you should be able to access the data..
to copy it over to another HDD > that is what they are going to do..

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65909-recover-data-faulty-hard-drive-thats-been-partitioned.html
Relevancy 67.94%

HI Ladies and Gents,

I have had this issue with the WD Internal HD and it seems its on its way out. I have taken some screen shots below to help you see the problem, but it is basically saying 'Directory Corrupted or unreadable'.

I have A LOT of information (personal/ work) on there that I really would like to keep - is that even possible?

Please please help a brother out here

c: is the main PC HD and the 2 others (D: & E: are both WD Internal HD)

This is the error I get on trying to access d:

Disk Management shows it there, but no error?

A:WD Internal Hard Drive (Partitioned) showing 'Directory Corrupted'

Have you tried checking the wiring to that HDD? Perhaps something is loose, maybe the wire is damaged, does it make any weird sounds like grinding, clicking, whirring or something that doesn't sound right?

Before giving up always check to make sure that it's not something else that is causing the problem such as wiring

It is being detected so at least there's that, it may be salvageable enough for you to get your stuff off it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/337906-wd-internal-hard-drive-partitioned-showing-directory-corrupted.html
Relevancy 63.64%

First, sorry if I'm a little slow with some of this as I'm moderate with my computer knowledge.

Earlier today I had 517 gb of memory available in the C drive. I restarted my computer earlier today and once it restarted I saw I was down to 1.84 gb. I ran crap cleaner already and did a quick scan with malwarebytes but no answers.

I also noticed a new file listed named c:\END. When you open this with notepad it says "conduitok"

There also seems to be ads and a new toolbar listed in IE. Any ideas how to find out what the heck is going on here?

Thanks!

A:Hard Drive Memory disappearing and c:\END appearing in c drive

jffl29,

welcome to the forums. The c:\End you can right click and delete. I would run Malwarebytes (free edition) and adwcleaner.

Also look here

Remove toolbars in IE

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/290539-hard-drive-memory-disappearing-c-end-appearing-c-drive.html
Relevancy 63.21%

ok so, the last 2 weeks at random intervals. my D (back up) drive has been just disappearing and the only way to get it back is to restart.

the only time you notice is when a file cannot be found or if you look in my computer.

the Device Manager does not show anything either, even after a scan for hardware changes.

its been 100% until now. gladly nothing important runs from that drive but the fact of having to restart every time it occurs does get a little annoying.

anyone got any ideas?

A:hard drive disappearing

Hi Jthewolf,

Format your hard drive completely and do partition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-disappearing.944150/
Relevancy 63.21%

I am running win and hard drive disappearing I am having a possible HD issue I have drives with my OS on it and one with all my programs The other day I was playing a game and my screen froze I could still use the mouse and was able to bring up task manager but it was unable to end the program I clicked restart disappearing hard drive and had to click force restart because it couldn t end the program that was running When it came back up all my icons were like quot broken links quot I pulled up my computer to check my drives and only the main OS drive was there I shut down disappearing hard drive completely for a minute and start it back up and everything is back to normal but it does it again about min later I have attempted to run a check disk on the drive but it feels partway through it and the drive had disappeared from my drive list Is this most likely a problem with my drive or could it be something else nbsp

A:disappearing hard drive

Start by unplugging the power supply.
Then disconnect the Second Drive and reconnect it, making sure everything is fully seated.

Restart the system and see if the drive is recognised.

If it is, download the manufactures drive checking software and run a full scan on it.

If it isn't try
1. looking in the Bios to see if the drive is listed.
2. booting a Live version of linux and see if that recognises the drive.
3. Plugging the drive into a different computer or put it into a caddy.

Then report back with what you find

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disappearing-hard-drive.1152604/
Relevancy 63.21%

i do download a lot from p2p, music, movies and often programs to check them out 2 days ago, my hard drive depleted 40 gigs overnight! i frantically
started deleting music, movies and uninstalling programs but it is still happening i have vista ultimate 64-bit and i'm running a virus scan through mcafee right now, since thats the only place that supports 64-bit free scan, please help, soon i'll have to start deleting stuff i really want and need just to keep up , please help! time is running out http://www.techsupportforum.com/imag...4-dontknow.gif

its probably your system restore option, Vista can suck up a few GBs a day doing system restores,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-disappearing-218141.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello,

Recently something seems to eating up any space on my hard drive. At first I thought I just had too many files but even after deleting the space continues to be eaten in a few minutes. I have searched around and the one solution seems to be regarding restore points but when I type the vssadmin list shadowstorage command into the cmd it comes up with the response that the query could not be found or something along those lines. I also tried to delete the last few restore points via disk cleanup but it didn't free up any hard drive space.

The problem started appearing recently even though ive owned the laptop for a year and its running vista. Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi Everyone, I started out with a 20.5 GB hard drive and as time goes by i've noticed it's shrinking quite a bit. It's currently displayed as being 19 GB. Is that missing capacity being taken up with whats been deleted over the last two years? Can this some how be reclaimed? My os is Win.98SE Thanks for any help,Weldyguy

Relevancy 63.21%

This problem began occurring this Sunday and I have no idea how it came about Last week I used MalwareBytes to remove Trojan Vundo H I don t think disappearing drive keeps Hard that has any special Hard drive keeps disappearing connection with this and then my comp was as fresh as ever Now my E drive keeps randomly disappearing appearing when I start restart my computer The data on it is intact as when it appears everything works fine on Hard drive keeps disappearing it I have used System Restore thrice first two times to Sunday and then I tried to do it to th April as further back as I could go but it said Sys Restore failed Each time I restored my system the drive came back The drive doesn t come back as frequently as when I restart or start the computer instead of using Sys Restore Apart from backing up my hard drive obviously and what are the best tools for that what am I supposed to do to curb this problem Formatting is a last resort option I d like to know if there s anything else that can be done Plus my computer loads slower than before Before the BIOS choice screen a cursor freezes up on the screen Usually it just blinks once and everything happens quick nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

I have 500GB hard drive, down to 220 atm. Anyways, I notice sometimes it will read 190GB, but when I go to download something or whatever, or if a day or two pass, it goes back to 220GB. Do my computer needs to take hard drive space to do something? anyway to fix this?

I am picking up a second hard drive soon 1tb , but was curious about this issue .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-disappearing.198606/
Relevancy 63.21%

Recently a 500GB SATA drive, which had behaved perfectly in two years of constant use, and on which I kept my Steam games folder, started to disappear from My Computer and from Disk Manager. Sometimes Disk Manager could bring it back on 'rescan drives', but sometimes not, so I bought another 500GB drive, put it in about a week ago, installed everything back on there, including the Steam folder..... and now it is happening AGAIN. Has anyone else had this problem or have any ideas please? Disk Manager brought it back as a blank drive last time I looked.

A:Disappearing Hard Drive

Have you tried booting into the BIOS, and seeing if the hard drive(s) is/are listed?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/299232-disappearing-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I have 3 drives in my system.
Boot Drive
2TB WD Black Caviar
3TB Hitachi Deskstar

The 2TB will come & go. Sometimes its there, sometimes it's not. I have replaced the HD (it used to be a Hitachi), replaced cables, changed drive letter and even replaced the motherboard to no avail.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

A:Hard Drive Keeps Disappearing

I think the first thing to do would be to download Western Digital's hard drive diagnostic program, Data lifeguard. That should be able to tell you if the problem is the hard drive or something else. If the drive fails, you can try to RMA it if still under warranty.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/256622-hard-drive-keeps-disappearing.html
Relevancy 63.21%

This is a problem I've had once before and the last time it happened it repaired itself. I have two hard drives installed on my computer, C and G. When I click on My Computer, only the C drive appears. If I try to run any programs that are installed on the G drive, it says that they cannot be found. The last time this happened, it reappeared after a few days, but this time it has been a couple weeks. Any ideas on why this might have occured or what I can do to fix it? BTW, just so I don't get asked later, I'm running XP.

Relevancy 63.21%

Hey I am at my wits end with this hard drive with hard a Help disappearing drive I have a Maxtor gig sata HD not my drives of choice by far that keeps disappearing I have the HD partitioned into two drives one is gigs I run windows on the other is the remainder I used for storage I also have other sata drives others hooked up to the pc Anyway Help with a disappearing hard drive I ve had this setup for about a year or so and had no problems Recently I started to get random freezes and from time to time I ll go to Help with a disappearing hard drive access an application or piece of media stored on the second partition and notice a path error When I open my computer there is no second partition I ve tried the chkdsk f option on the second partition on start up and it seems to complete ok I don t seem to get any errors in the applications or system menu s of eventviewer I ve run a couple of different hard drive diagnostics like SeaTools and the Maxtor one and neither ever find a problem with the HD The only way I can seem to alleviate the problem is by rebooting upon which the HD is detected again I am not sure if this is a failing sata cable or port by why would the first partition still work Problem with the drive itself again why no problems unless the freezing is one with the first partition or a problem with windows When I formatted the drive I did both in NTFS The drive is only about years old and doesn t seem to make any of the noises that I have heard previous failing drives make Any help or suggestions would be appreciated Edit By the way the specs in my signature is not the same computer that s out of date nbsp

A:Help with a disappearing hard drive

Sorry, I just found hard drive errors under the system tab in event viewer. I am not sure what the hell I was looking at earlier.
It looks like every time the HD disappears it starts off with a warning like this "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation."

Followed by 15-20 errors (the red x kind) where the description is something like this "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D."

Followed by a few NTFS warnings to the tune of "{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

And finally ftdisk error "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

and then I think that is when the HD is disappearing.

Does this sound like a failing drive issue?

It appears that at the time this occurred I was not even home.

Thanks,

Cam
Edit: I think I am suspecting the SATA cables. Even those these are fairly new cables they are pretty cheapo ones. Does this sound like a cable issue?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-a-disappearing-hard-drive.868663/
Relevancy 63.21%

ok so, the last 2 weeks at random intervals. my D (back up) drive has been just disappearing and the only way to get it back is to restart.

the only time you notice is when a file cannot be found or if you look in my computer.

the Device Manager does not show anything either, even after a scan for hardware changes.

its been 100% until now. gladly nothing important runs from that drive but the fact of having to restart every time it occurs does get a little annoying.

anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried reseating the drive? Disconnect all cables attached to it, then reconnect them. Also disconnect the SATA cable from the motherboard and reattach it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/105328-hard-drive-disappearing.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have been having an issue with hard drive space disappearing I actually got down to hard drive space My husband took our laptop into work as I thought space Disappearing Hard Drive it must be a virus Disappearing Hard Drive space According to his IT dept it was not a virus The IT guys were able to get GB of hard drive space back but within the last days I have gone down to GB We haven't downloaded anything so I know something or some process is eating up the hard drive space I noticed in a previous thread someone else was having the same issue and they were told to turn off disk defrag scheduler Funny because I did have disk defrag scheduled to run every wednesday pm All day on Wednesday I had GB and on Thursday morning I had GB After reading about disk defrag I turned it off ran CCcleaner windirstat and anti-malware I believe disk defrag is the problem but I can't find any files to delete after running the windirstat I notice in the app it has a Clean Up tab Is there something I need to do How can I get my hard drive space back

A:Disappearing Hard Drive space

I would go to computer right click C: and click disc cleanup when finished click more options and delete old restore points and shadow copies that should find some space.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/303011-disappearing-hard-drive-space.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello I have a WD quot My Passport quot external USB drive that keeps USB disconnecting/disappearing drive hard I connect as a backup for USB hard drive keeps disconnecting/disappearing my system The problem I'm having is that the drive keeps disappearing randomly Sometimes I have to unplug it and re-plug it in or times before my computer recognizes it I've tried several USB ports and still have the same problem The hard drive itself doesn't have a shut off switch so it takes its cues from the computer power management system When I plug the device in sometimes the drive doesn't mount but the power light on the drive will turn on Why is it randomly turning on and off And why do I sometimes have to plug and unplug the device several times before it correctly recognizes it as a hard drive with all its data in tact Though my other USB devices do not randomly disappear while running they often take three or four plug ins and plug outs before they're recognized in the first place USB hard drive keeps disconnecting/disappearing How can I fix this as I need a reliable backup drive always hooked up

A:USB hard drive keeps disconnecting/disappearing

In power management (Control Panel) go into the advanced details of your power scheme and alter the settings which power-down your hard drives and USB interfacing to save energy - this will mean your device is kept running and is perma-detectable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/53445-usb-hard-drive-keeps-disconnecting-disappearing.html
Relevancy 62.78%

My major hard Disappearing drive portable concerns at this point are at the very least being able to recover most if not all the files on the phd I know I should have backed up and Disappearing portable hard drive it bit me in the Disappearing portable hard drive ass that I didn t Life Lesson what you think will never Disappearing portable hard drive happen to you will in fact happen I did try to research this on my own but I was unable to find something that even remotely matched this situation so I was unsure about taking the corrective actions that applied to other issues I don t know if they are related but I have a suspicion they most likely are based on the time frame of the behaviors I have tried to be as specific as possible if there is more info needed I will gladly provide it If there is anyone that can help or at least guide me through a data recovery process I will be forever grateful and would consider naming my third born after the hero who solves this System InfoOS Wxp sp Home Windows firewall will be changing Avast Antivirus had Norton till the problems started Wireless internet run through a combo router modem Linksys wireless adapter Simpletech portable usb drive GB FirefoxI frequently run Photoshop PS Elements Acrobat and Office Bc of the size of these programs I have a secondary hard drive that is dedicated to music and a portable hard drive that is dedicated to graphics documents and photoshop tools I have listed the errors after the symptoms Symptoms Error Msgs start Wireless Internet issues start intermittent signal freezing dropped connections extremely slow downloading Constantly repairing connections FF starts randomly switching to offline mode Internet Tech visits xs Conclusion Linksys adapter switched to a Belkin USB adapter Worked fine for a few days then started with almost no signal and unable to connect Conclusion Resets everything and checks line modem router No issues detected Tested the Linksys adapter just out of curiosity and worked fine so switched back to this adapter Conclusion Replaces modem and router with a single combo unit Weak signal issue is not related to proximity I moved everything to within ft of the modem router and it is still doing the dropped connection Start receiving the connect disconnect sound over and over from ipod being plugged in to charge Itunes is not being accessed when this happens Still experiencing issues so I start thinking maybe this is caused by a virus or something I start doing some research can t pinpoint a specific issue and end up installing revouninstaller and CC Cleaner No visible improvement Portable drive starts disappearing from my computer not often about every other week Unplug restart corrected the problem Pdrive issue started increasing in frequency Start getting new error code about the recycle bin Restart unplug is now taking multiple attempts to correct Last weekend pdrive disappears completely It is no longer viable in disk management or my computer All externals that use a usb connection are functioning fine Norton toolbar in FF reappeared possibly bc avg was installed Performed a system restore to a week prior with no success Error Messages I saved screen shots of most error dialog boxes but it is on the problem child portable hard drive that refuses to work I have listed the ones I could remember C DOCUME Weaver LOCALS Temp WER dir rundll exe mdmp C DOCUME Weaver LOCALS Temp WER dir appcompat txtNumerous messages are in the event viewer such as will provide txt file if need be System event s Security event s Recent Activity on my part Install Uninstall Blackberry manager DL and Install of object dock to modify desktop visuals DL and Install of various spyware virus programs DL and Install of revouninstaller and cc cleaner Used pretty regularly DL and Install of hotkeyz and sendtotoys Actions taken thus far Altered startup menu removing nonessential Uninstall Install all nonessential software not related to XP Changed out cords phd stil... Read more

A:Disappearing portable hard drive

Typically...when a drive disappears...it has a problem.

Since it's an external drive, it could the enclosure the drive is in...it could be the actual hard drive itself.

My suggestion would be to remove the drive from enclosure...connect it directly to a working system...and see if the system picks it up properly.

If it does, then I would suggest moving all files from the drive immediately...and then running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic (long test, not short) on it.

If My Computer does not reflect the drive, but Disk Management reflects as either an empty volume, a RAW volume, or an unknown file system...then your best effort will be to try data recovery software.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/320654/disappearing-portable-hard-drive/
Relevancy 62.78%

Alright so ive looked through here and i cant find any body that is quite having the same problem as me is space Hard drive disappearing I have two hard drives my C and D both are about G capacity On my C drive i have about Hard drive space is disappearing gigs used up from computer games and the sort but all of a sudden - days ago my computer has been telling me im running low and disk space so i did a bunch of disk clean ups defragmented my drives even deleted all restore points except my last two I deleted all shadow points and ran multiple different virus scans and malware scans So far nothing has come up as the culprit as a virus I have also looked up in my drive all the files and it still adds up to be about gigs give or take a gigabyte Then i installed JDiskReport and IT says i have with everything on C drive i am only using G I do not know where this extra ish gigabytes have come from but they were sudden and the only way i can keep my computer running is by deleting a game at a time to free up some space before it dissappears again I am doing this on my laptop and the problem is on my desktop Its windows Gigs of DDR memory and this is the only problem that i actually have had with this computer since i have gotten it in Also my D drive is exactly the same as before Thank you for any help you guys can give nbsp

A:Hard drive space is disappearing

uninstall everything you dont need. then install spybot: search and destroy it better than most

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-space-is-disappearing.964121/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi, I am running Windows 7 on an HP laptop that is over 4 years old. Over the last few months, Explorer shows that the hard drive fills up at approximately 1-3GB per day, even when I know I am not downloading anything. I run CCCleaner and remove all unnecessary files, use Avast Free and do security checks. I also run WinDirStat that shows my hard drive is only using 180GB (this appears to be accurate) when Explorer shows that it is +220GB full. Is this a malware fault or a sign of failing hardware?

A:Hard drive space disappearing

Hi Geosteff I helped someone with the same issue yesterday and it pretty much looks like you are having the same issue as him. Click on your Start Menu, then right-click on Computer and select Properties. From there, click on Advanced System Settings in the left pane. Go to the System Protection tab and click on the Modify button. What is the maximum usaged defined for the System Restore, and what is it's actual usage?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573408/hard-drive-space-disappearing/
Relevancy 62.78%

So the other day I had downloaded a bunch of videos. When I woke up the next day after they finished I had a low disk space message. when I checked my hard drive it said that it was full. So I deleted a bunch of stuff off the drive but within minutes it was saying 0GB were available. Ive deleted probably close to 70gb worth of stuff and its still saying I only have about 40GB left. That was this morning. I have yet to go home and see if its gone back down to 0GB available. What would cause this?

A:Hard Drive Space Disappearing

The most probable cause is virus or malware.
Run an antivirus scan
Download and run malwarebytes.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

If negative
It may be shadow copies, system restore points taking up space

Download and check with this
WinDirStat - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/281952-hard-drive-space-disappearing.html
Relevancy 62.78%

i recently bought a new 64 bit vista and just recently, i noticed that it has already used up 90gb of memory.I am surprise that i have already took up that much!

i decided to scan twice with kaspersky and it detected 6 active threats that were vulnerable files from adobe and syswow64 folder.
I decided to delete some of my games so my hard drive space went up to 367gb out of 450gb. However, after i scanned, it went back down to 362gb. After a few minutes, i checked to see and saw that it was now 361gb of free space!

what is taking up my hard drive?! HELP ME PLEASE

A:Hard Drive space disappearing! Help me please

That's really strange. I also have Windows Vista 64 bit and strangely the system keeps on eating up gigs of memory. Everytime I have less and I haven't installed anything.

I want to know what is going on.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-space-disappearing-help-me-please-332811.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Running Laptop with XP. "My Computer" shows a local disk of size 69.4 GB. However, if you double click it and select all, and check the properties, there is only 26.6 GB of files. This is done while able to see hidden files and folders, as well as protected operating system files. The only slight connection I have made so far was when I had utorrent remove the torrent and data of a few files. The files were removed, but no disk space was gained. Is there something wrong with utorrent or is it a Windows issue, maybe something else entirely. I wanted to see what might be causing it before I reinstalled the OS.

A:Disappearing Hard Drive Space

I don't think it's utorrent anymore. The laptop seems to have gotten the space that was deleted from it. the freespace increased from less than a gig to 10 gigs. There's still about 30 to 40 GB that are still unaccounted for.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disappearing-hard-drive-space.643970/
Relevancy 62.78%

Help!

This is the 2nd time I have posted in hopes that someone can figure out this problem.

I keep losing Hard Drive Space and Disk Clean Up keeps popping up (Alot of times with all 0s).

I have scanned numerous times for the Hantaner Virus and found nothing.

I have to run clean all bat (Which I highly recommend) which clears up the problem temporarily.

I am sure this is a virus, but nothing is catching it.

Please help me, this is very irritating.

Relevancy 62.78%

I've been having a problem like so many others with mysteriously disappearing hard drive space It has been rather full for most of the time I've had it i have lots of music and pictures but it's never been an issue Lately though it's been in the red the least amout of disk space i've had is something GB left help! Drive Memory. Disappearing Hard please of I tried deleting programs deleting restore points disk cleanups and that Disappearing Hard Drive Memory. please help! sort of thing like everyone else has suggested and it seemed to work for a time and then I ran a disk defrag Disappearing Hard Drive Memory. please help! and all the sudden more and more memory was disappearing each time i would refresh the window I stopped the defrag deleted some more stuff and it seems to be stable at I was wondering what exactly I can get rid of to get more memeory I am not very computer illiterate and am afraid of deleting files and programs I need and was wondering why in general my memory was filling each time i would refresh the page It's a dell inspiron with vista home basic if that helps Thanks so much

A:Disappearing Hard Drive Memory. please help!

First lets be sure that the memory is being used for legit purppses
Run a full Anti Virus Scan
Download and run a full and updated malwarebytes
How to Fix Shrinking Disk Space in Vista ? My Digital Life
applicable to Vista
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287843-disappearing-hard-drive-memory-please-help.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello all I've Drive! Hard [SOLVED] Disappearing just now installed a secondary Hard Drive onto my machine I formatted it to be NSTC I'm not sure that's the abbreviation but it's the one windows xp uses at least by default The first time I launched windows after that I got a message that said quot New Found hardware hd name here quot and after a few seconds the drive appeared under quot my computer quot I tryed to copy over a ton of files and I realized [SOLVED] Disappearing Hard Drive! that just wasn't going to work so I hit quit and after a few seconds it stopped trying to copy and an error message that said something about my hard drive lagging I can't be more specific as it came out of the corner of the screen and disappeared fast I then went to check and I saw that the drive was no longer listed I tried restarting and still nothing If it matters my main hard drive the one windows is installed on is SATA and this one is IDE-ATA The cable goes from the CD DVD burner to the secondary HD and then to the computer If someone could give me advice on how to get the hard drive listed again on a management software or anything else on this matter it'd be greatly appreciated Windows XP SP

A:[SOLVED] Disappearing Hard Drive!

Hi there and welcome to TSF.
You're close, it's actually NTFS . First, how many IDE slots do you have because it's not a good idea to have your hard drive on the same cable as your CD/DVD burner. If you've only the one, as is often the case with SATA motherboards, then you have no alternative, but I would put the hard drive at the end of the cable, not in the middle. The first thing to do is to see if your machine recognises all your drives in BIOS. When the machine boots up, press F2 or DEL repeatedly, depending on your machine. This will take you into your BIOS. Find the page that lists your devices. In Phoenix Award BIOS this will be under Standard CMOS Features. I'm not sure about AMI BIOS. If the second hard drive isn't shown, make sure that all your connections are secure. If it is there, exit from BIOS and reboot. When in Windows, go to your Device Manager by clicking Start then right click My computer and selct properties. Click on the Hardware tab then select Device Manger. Check that the drive is shown there under Hard Drives.
Please report back what you find.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/solved-disappearing-hard-drive-169779.html
Relevancy 62.78%

not completely sure how to explain this, but my hard drive is losing space at the rate of about 1 MB per second. if you click on it, it'll show you how much free space is there, and if you refresh the display, it'll go down at regular intervals. after reaching 16 KB or so, it either goes back up or simply stops there. i haven't notice anything bad actually happening, it's just very disconcerting.

i have two partitions, c: and f:; the c: partition has windows XP on it and that's the one to which the problem is occuring. the f: partition is fine.

edit: oh yeah, running CHKDSK turns up 40,000+ "invalid security identifiers" and some disk errors, yet they always come back if you attempt to fix them.

the c: partition is almost 9 GB's, with (normally) 3.8 GB free space.

Relevancy 62.78%

I lose free space steadily I've seen as high as MB lost per minute from startup until there is no space left If i restart my computer the free space comes back but still begins to decline again I first noticed this a week and a Drive Disappearing Space Hard half ago and given the rate at which my HDD space disappears the problem has probably been on my comp since about two-three weeks ago In that time frame I have installed IE Beta a program Hard Drive Space Disappearing called WebDrive now removed updates for Motorola Phone Tools and a driver for my wireless adapter the last two came after noticing the initial problem so they should have no effect I have the following AVG Anti-Virus scanned today found nothing Spybot scanned today found nothing big all of which was removed AdAware scanned today found nothing Zone Alarm CCleaner scanned today found a total of MB to clean not enough to account for the lost space All of which are on all the time with active scanning and updating I have also used TreeSize and compared the readings several minutes apart and the file buildup is NOT in a part of C visible by TreeSize i e the folders as measured by TreeSize do not change but the free space left still declines The problem persists even with no programs running no connection to the internet unplugged wireless adapter and zone alarm locked I have tried disabling system restore does nothing and deleting files does nothing Below are the results from all the preliminary step stuff IE Spyad doesn't seem to be a valid link anymore ANALYSIS - - PROTECTIONS MALWARE SUSPECTS PROTECTIONS Description Version Active Updated Zone Alarm Security Suite No No MALWARE Id Description Type Active Severity Disinfectable Disinfected Location Cookie Doubleclick TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings Cookies doubleclick txt Cookie Advertising TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings Cookies advertising txt Cookie Atwola TrackingCookie No Yes No C Documents and Settings Cookies atwola txt SUSPECTS Sent Location H VULNERABILITIES Id Severity Description H hijackthis Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM Rpcnet exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C WINDOWS stsystra exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrotray exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin Dot XCfg exe C Program Files Logitech SetPoint SetPoint exe C Program Files Common Files Logitech KHAL KHALMNPR EXE C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files ZyXEL ZyXEL G- Wireless Adapter Utility UtilityCtl exe C Program Files ZyXEL ZyXEL G- Wireless A... Read more

Not sure if there's anything in the HijackThis log that's worth removing, but I managed to fix the hard drive space loss by removing SP3. I now have to repair windows to fix some components, but otherwise it's fine. Thank you for the help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/hard-drive-space-disappearing-300994.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a hard drive problem that really puzzled me I have a GB HD from my old computer with window XP on it It was partitioned in drives drive with GB with window Disappearing Drive Hard on Partition XP system the other drives with GB for data file only I recently bought a new HP desktop with window I pulled the HD from the Partition on Hard Drive Disappearing old computer and put it into this new computer as a second HD The new HP computer can recognize the second HD However it shows that this hard drive only have one partition that has all GB on it The only files I can see are the ones on the old system partition I could not see any data files that were on the second data partition I already recycled my old XP computer I still have some recent data files on this hard drive that I have not backed up yet I would really appreciate if there is any way to find these data files on this HD I already checked disk management and it only shows one big partition for this HD no separate data partition Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Partition on Hard Drive Disappearing

Is it attached master or slave, and is it formated fat32 or ntfs? And your system specs don't tell us what your machine is....

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/133094-partition-hard-drive-disappearing.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I upgraded from Win XP to Windows disappearing hard drive keeps Internal bit about a month ago I did a clean install as I've always had issues with in place upgrades My machine has four hard drives total two internal SATA drives and two external USB drives For some reason my secondary internal drive a WD GB SATA drive nothing fancy keeps disappearing randomly while windows is running This started about a week ago it ran ok for the first weeks or so The drive comes back fine and dandy if I completely shut down the machine and then boot it back up The drive stays until some random moment when Windows doesn't see it anymore Now Internal hard drive keeps disappearing if I do a simple Restart the drive doesn't show up ONLY after I shut down completely and push the power button back Internal hard drive keeps disappearing on does this work There is nothing in the System logs no error messages nothing it just vanishes and is completely random Please help as I REALLY don't want to go back to XP but I've checked the hard drive with windows and other programs and it never reports any problems the BIOS detects no problems even Windows recognizes it for a while then nothing

A:Internal hard drive keeps disappearing

Hello zdawg, and welcome to Seven Forums.

I use to have this happen to one of my internal SATA HDD drives. It turned out that updating my AHCI SATA driver for my motherboard to the latest version resolved the issue for me. You might also update the motherboard chipset driver to the latest version as well to be safe.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/103855-internal-hard-drive-keeps-disappearing.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi Everyone Before I even explain my problem let me say thank you I have never posted Drive Space Hard Disappearing here before but every forum says this is really helpful Having a slight issue with my laptop Dell XPS m Vista Home Prem The hard drive is GB after being formatted The MyComputer screen is showing that only have GB free which is impossible I ran quot JDiskReport quot and it said that I am only using GB so then where did the extra GB go So my question is what could be causing this Disappearing Hard Drive Space Symantec Endpoint Protection does not show any viruses Two days ago I had gb free this morning not Here is my HiJackThis Disappearing Hard Drive Space log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Windows system taskeng exeC Windows system Dwm exeC Windows Explorer EXEC Program Files Symantec Symantec Endpoint Protection SmcGui exeC Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exeC Windows System rundll exeC Windows System rundll exeC Windows OEM Mon exeC Program Files LogMeIn x LogMeInSystray exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files Dell Support Center bin sprtcmd exeC Program Files SigmaTel C-Major Audio WDM sttray exeC Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrotray exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Microsoft LifeChat LifeChat exeC Program Files Carbonite Carbonite Backup CarboniteUI exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files Windows Live Device Manager msgrdvmn exeC Windows system wbem unsecapp exeC Program Files LogMeIn x LMIGuardian exeC Program Files Creative Live Cam VideoFX StartFX exeC Windows system SearchFilterHost exeC HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local lt local gt R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - Hosts localhostO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveShellExtensions dllO - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dllO - BHO ChromeFrame BHO - ECB C - A A- BD-BB - F EFE FA - C Program Files Google Chrome Frame Application npchrome tab dllO - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dllO - Toolbar no name - DE C F- - A - B-AA ED D - no file O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hideO - HKLM Run GrooveMonitor quot C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe quot O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C Windows system NvCpl dll NvStartupO - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL EXE C Windows system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInitO - HKLM Run NVH... Read more

Hello and to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.*If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. *If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. *If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.**If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you can choose email notifications. In order to be notified via email when your topic has a reply you need to enable topic notifications. To enable topic notifications you should do the following: 1. Click on the My Controls link at the top of the page to enter your control panel. 2. Scroll down to the Options category in the left hand side menu bar and click on the Email Settings link. 3. Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Enable 'Email Notification' by default?. 4. Set the If ticked, choose default type: menu option to Immediate Email Notification to have an email sent immediately when someone repliedThe topics you are tracking are shown Here.Because the e-mail notification system is not completely reliable, please check your topic once a day for responses.----------------------------*-------------------------------We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREKind regardsNet_Surfer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/263352/disappearing-hard-drive-space/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi I recently have been having problems with this computer's hard drive A couple of days ago it had GB or so left over and Hard Disappearing Space Drive the more I try to delete files the less space I seem to have The computer now has just MB of space remaining and the number seems to be going down by the minute Thanks for any help Below is the HijackThis log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AppCore AppSvc exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Hard Drive Space Disappearing Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exeC WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA exeC PROGRA NORTON NSR Agent VProSvc exeC PROGRA NORTON NORTON NPROTECT EXEC PROGRA NORTON NORTON SPEEDD NOPDB Hard Drive Space Disappearing EXEC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exeC WINDOWS System MsPMSPSv exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC WINDOWS TrayComm exeC Program Files MUSICMATCH MUSICMATCH Jukebox mm tray exeC Program Files BroadJump Client Foundation CFD exeC Program Files Logitech MouseWare system em exec exeC PROGRA Yahoo browser ybrwicon exeC PROGRA Yahoo YOP yop exeC PROGRA Yahoo browser ycommon exeC Program Files Creative SBLive Diagnostics diagent exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files DellSupport DSAgnt exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpohmr exeC PROGRA Yahoo YOP SSDK exeC Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpotdd exeC Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpoevm exeC PROGRA Yahoo MESSEN ymsgr tray exeC WINDOWS System HPZipm exeC Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging Bin hpoSTS exeC PROGRA NORTON NSR Agent NSRTray exeC PROGRA NORTON NSR CfgWiz exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files internet explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http att yahoo comR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www yahoo comR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com customize search ie htmlR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http red clientapps yahoo com customize www yahoo comR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www dell me com mywayR - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO Yahoo IE Services Button - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C PROGRA Yahoo common yiesrvc dllO - BHO SidebarAutoLaunch Class - F AA - - -B C -A CCDF CBF D - C Program Files Yahoo browser YSidebarIEBHO dllO - Toolbar no name - BA B -B - c -B - F F - no file O - Toolbar ZeroBar - F C - FB - FE-BA - E DDE - C Program Files DellSupport GTCoach plugin ToolBar dllO - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - HKLM Run UpdReg C WINDOWS UpdReg EXEO - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboo... Read more

Welcome to the BleepingComputer HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum catbox_9My name is Richie and i'll be helping you to fix your problems.Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad". This will change from what we know in 2006 read this article: http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546You are well advised to remove the program now. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following programs if present,then restart your pc:ViewpointViewpoint ManagerViewpoint Media PlayerPlease download VundoFix.exe to your desktop.Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.When VundoFix re-opens,click the "Scan for Vundo" button.Once it's done scanning,click the "Remove Vundo" button.You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click "YES".Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.When completed,it will prompt that it will reboot your computer,click "OK".Post the contents of C:\vundofix.txt into your next reply.Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove.In this case,VundoFix will run on reboot,simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click the Scan for Vundo button." when VundoFix appears at reboot.If you have previously downloaded ComboFix,please delete that version now.WarningYou should NOT use Combofix unless you have been instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is intended by its creator to be used under the guidance and supervision of an expert,not for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could render your system/pc inoperable.Now download Combofix and save to your desktop:Note It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop Close any open browsers.Double click on combofix.exe and follow the prompts. When it's finished it will produce a log. Post the entire contents of C:\ComboFix.txt into your next reply. Note Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause the program to freeze/hang. Do NOT post the ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt unless I ask.NoteIn case your Antivirus or any other realtime scanner is displaying an alert after you downloaded Combofix or while you use Combofix,please disable your scanner and redownload Combofix again.Some scanners may see some combofix related components as suspicious and block or delete them while there's nothing wrong with them.Also post a new Hijackthis log please.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/122422/hard-drive-space-disappearing/
Relevancy 62.78%

So a little less than a year ago I bought an IBM Thinkpad T with Windows XP and a GB hard drive When my laptop first arrived after being formatted there were GB free for me to work with I don t quite remember exactly when I noticed but within a month or Space Disappearing Hard Drive two I realized that I was already down to my last GB or so of free space Now I have some software on my computer and about GB of music but I downloaded Disappearing Hard Drive Space TreeSize Free to analyze the distribution of my files and according to the results I only have GB of files i ve included the print screen image of the results below With My Computer s reported GB of free space and the used GB from TreeSize Free GB of hard drive space has disappeared I m not sure if this really is a malware issue As far as I can tell Disappearing Hard Drive Space my computer has not slowed down tremendously It does take about seconds to a minute in order to load my file settings etc from the login screen after booting up which is longer than I had expected Other than that everything seems to be working normally most of the time Occasionally my taskbar and sometimes the program as well typically mozilla that I have been working in freezes and lags for up to minutes but I ve heard that that is caused by an error with one of the start up programs that I need to take the time diagnosing with msconfig I run Spybot S amp D at least once every three or four days and almost always get a clean bill of health including this morning I also defrag my comp pretty regularly with Diskeeper Lite which is how I first noticed all the used GBs I run ZoneAlarm as my firewall and AVG as my Antivirus So first I used BitDefender Online Scan and it didn t turn up any viruses Then I ran the Kaspersky Online Scan and received this log Friday July Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack build Kaspersky Online Scanner version Program database last update Friday July Records in database Scan settingsScan using the following database extendedScan archives yesScan mail databases yesScan area Critical AreasC Documents and Settings All Users Start Menu Programs StartupC Documents and Settings Celina Joos Start Menu Programs StartupC Program FilesC WINDOWS Scan statisticsFiles scanned Threat name Infected objects Suspicious objects Duration of the scan File name Threat name Threats countC WINDOWS Downloaded Program Files popcaploader dll Infected not-a-virus Downloader Win PopCap b The selected area was scanned I looked up popcaploader dll and found out that it is a file downloaded by PopCap Games every time you try to play certain games on websites like Yahoo MSN Pogo etc Supposedly its no major threat but even if it wasn t there I don t think it explains the lost GB I don t believe I ve gotten any error messages and other than the lagging taskbar I don t think I ve had any other symptoms Yet somehow GB of hard drive has disappeared any ideas what happened

well its been five days and i haven't recieved a reply. i'm going to post a HJT log in the appropriate forum; hopefully someone can help me out there.
thanks anyway!
swizilstix

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/155977/disappearing-hard-drive-space/
Relevancy 62.78%

From time to time my pc refuses to Disappearing Hard Quandry Drive boot into Disappearing Hard Drive Quandry Windows I get the invalid disc message I have two SATA drives installed one purely data one bootable running Windows XP When the computer refuses to boot into Windows on going into the BIOS only the data SATA drive is shown- all the other three SATA ports are empty However the weird thing is when I then disconnect the SATA drive the bootable drive then boots into Windows OK I have tried swapping the cables and drive port positions around but this doesn t appear to make any difference When I later put the data drive back in everything is OK for a few days or weeks then the problem recurs Any pointers to finding the cause please The PC ia year old MESH machine with an ASUS motherboard Athlon Twin Core processor thats all I can remember I used to know where to find all the system information but I forgot where exactly thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disappearing-hard-drive-quandry.720849/
Relevancy 62.78%

My hard drive space mysterious rises and falls, even though I don't add or remove programs or data. Now it is suddenly down to a very low level and I've no idea why. I have read many discussions and taken all the recommended steps with no effect. Specifically, I have:

1. stripped virtually everything optional off the computer
2. run virus and trojan checkers
3. run disk cleanup and cclean to reclaim space and remove restore points
4. set only a single restore point
5. set the shadow copy to only 500 mb
6. searched files, including hidden files, and can't find anything unusually large

The unusually event recently is that I got a message saying that my windows copy was not genuine (which it is) and had to have it verified.

I'd appreciate and help

How to Fix Shrinking Disk Space in Vista ? My Digital Life

Read this then post any questions.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/284170-disappearing-hard-drive-space.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Good evening I'd really appreciate some help with my computer Yesterday I noticed that some of my folders had disappeared from my hard drive I run Trend Micro Internet Security and have conducted a couple of scan with no viruses found To test the system I created a new file folder on my C drive via file explore and moved some data into it When I reboot my computer the new folder shows up in file explorer briefly and then appears to be deleted I checked the amount From drive Folders Disappearing Are Hard of used space prior to adding the test folder and after I added it I also check the used space after the test folder was deleted and it looks like the folder is removed completely as the used space drops back to the original value before the test folder was added I'm not sure what to do next I ran HijackThis as a diagnostic Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP Folders Are Disappearing From Hard drive SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Google Update GoogleUpdate exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Creative SBAudigy ZS Surround Mixer CTSysVol exe C Program Files Creative SBAudigy ZS DVDAudio CTDVDDet EXE C WINDOWS CTHELPER EXE C Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exe C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe C WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXE C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files ASUS Probe AsusProb exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Logitech MouseWare system em exec exe C WINDOWS system agrsmsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA exe C WINDOWS system crypserv exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C PROGRA TRENDM INTERN PcCtlCom exe C WINDOWS System snmp exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C PROGRA TRENDM INTERN Tmntsrv exe C PROGRA TRENDM INTERN TmPfw exe C PROGRA TRENDM INTERN tmproxy exe C WINDOWS System TUProgSt exe C WINDOWS system MsPMSPSv exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C PROGRA TRENDM INTERN PcScnSrv exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C PROGRA TRENDM INTERN PccGuide exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http sympatico msn ca R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http start shaw ca start enca addons search R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhost local R - URLSearchHook Hotspot Shield Toolbar - c a e e- d- - c -d da adb d - C Program Files Hotspot Shield tbHots dll O - Hosts www winmx com err winmx com O - Hosts cache winmx com test winmx com test winmx com O - Hosts cache winmx com test winmx com test winmx com O - Hosts cache winmx com test winmx com test winmx com O - Hosts cache winmx com test winmx com O - Hosts cache winmx com test winmx com O - Hosts c z winmx com c z winmx com c z winmx com c z winmx com c z winmx com c z winmx co... Read more

A:Folders Are Disappearing From Hard drive

Hello Timneedshelp

I`m sorry, but we cannot help you with malware removal in this forum.

Please read ?Virus/Trojan/Spyware Removal Help ? and follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information in the Virus Help Forum
If you cannot complete any step, just miss it out and do what you can, but be sure to include this information in your post.
Please ensure that you create a new thread in the Virus Help Forum; not back here in this one.

Please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

If the problem persists after that I think you need to check the hard drive
First, back up all your important files

Then
Start/Run and type in
cmd
OK

When the command window opens at the prompt type
chkdsk /r (there is a space before /)
Enter

Reboot and chkdsk will run.

Be prepared for this to take hours if chkdsk actually finds any problems and tries to fix them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/folders-are-disappearing-from-hard-drive-390293.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop with Win XP Pro, SP2 installed. I have noticed that my hard drive space is slowly disappearing. I have lost approximately 800-900MB of space. I know some viruses (trojans/worms?) can cause this.

I recently scanned my computer using Trend Micros PC-Cillin Internet Security 2005, Panda On-Line Activescan, and A2 squared. No viruses were found.

I have not installed any new programs in the last few months. I have only installed virus update signatures and Win XP security updates. I always monitor my remaining drivespace after these installations.

I also regularly scan my computer for adware, spyware and malware using AdAware Pro, CounterSpy, Microsoft Antispyware, and Spybot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 62.78%

can someone please help? i lost like 6 gigs this week out of nowhere and i havent downloaded anything. is there something i can try or something i can delete or clear off my computer? any help would be greatly appreciated.