Windows Support Forum

Explorer Window defaults to "Search" instead of "Folders"

Q: Explorer Window defaults to "Search" instead of "Folders"

If I open "My Computer" and then I double click on the C: drive icon (or any drive), it opens up a new window with the Search panel on the left. If I right click on a drive, the menu comes up and "Search" is the in bold, indicating it is the default. How can I change this so it is no longer the default, but opening it up with "Open" as the default?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Explorer Window defaults to "Search" instead of "Folders"

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Explorer Window defaults to "Search" instead of "Folders"

Start> Run> type: regsvr32 /i shell32.dll then hit OK.
If that doesn't work, try this script repair from Doug Knox.
folder_open.vbs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/explorer-window-defaults-to-search-instead-of-folders.604751/
Relevancy 128.03%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 126.17%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 121.52%

I have searched to see if this was asked before without any success. Maybe someone has run into this problem before.
When I open "my computer" or "control panel" after I close it...it automatically goes into Internet Explorer as a blank page. Most of the time, when I close the IE blank page...it stops responding and I have the control-alt-delete to "end the program"
Thanks in advance for any help.

A:closing "my computer" or "Control Panel" open internet explorer window

Possibly malware - anything openning ie on its own raises an alarm in my books. Post a HJT log to the malware removal section of the forum and let the experts take a look at it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/closing-my-computer-or-control-panel-open-internet-explorer-window.658783/
Relevancy 121.21%

For some time now, double clicking on a folder no longer opens it as usual. Instead, double clicking on a folder causes a separate Explorer Search window to open, with that folder's name under the "search in" tab. In fact, when i right click on a folder, the first and bold-faced option is "search", as opposed to "open". So to open any folder I have to right click it and hit open, which is slow and annoying. I cleaned out my registry, spyware, viruses, everything, and still this problem persists. I also checked the Mouse control panel, nothing there.

Anyone know what's going on with my computer?

A:Help! Double-clicking on folders prompts "search", not "open"

Hi

Open "My Documents", go into Tools>Folder Options and under General>Browse Folders choose Open each folder in the same window. Save that and then goto View>Explorer Bar> and click Folders.

See if its better now.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-double-clicking-on-folders-prompts-search-not-open-140931.html
Relevancy 121.21%

I double-click and get "search" instead of "open"--only when I click a disk, like Hard Drive C: or Floppy A: or CD F: and so on.

It didn't used to do this, so I must've inadvertently changed some setting somewhere, but darned if I can find it now.

Any ideas?

A:Solved: On the "my computer" list, I double-click on disks and get "search" instead of "open"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-on-the-my-computer-list-i-double-click-on-disks-and-get-search-instead-of-open.407035/
Relevancy 119.97%

Made a HUGE mistake, messed with the settings under "My Computer" > "Manage" > "Services> and also the "Local Users". Now having trouble, can not see my "Start and Task Bar", the "windows"+ ''e" is no longer working.

How can I restore the Services & the Local Users account without having to reinstall my whole computer? I am afraid I will loose lots of files... I do not remember what exactly I changed, but some of the "Services" I changed to "disable" now when I try to open properties and change them back, I am unable. The right click to get to properties is not working.

Your help is highly appreciated.

A:How to restore the defaults for "services" under "My Computer" > "Manage>

I am not sure about the "quick" way of restoring, but what you can do is go back to services, "RIGHT-CLICK" the white area select "HELP" then the third option is "Default settings for services"

you can see what the default was and manually restore it. I have tried to copy and paste it below

==========================================================

Service Startup Type Log On As Additional information
Alerter Manual Local Service
Application Layer Gateway Manual Local Service
Application Management Manual Local System
Automatic Updates Automatic Local System
ClipBook Manual Local System
COM+ Event System Manual Local System
COM+ System Application Manual Local System
Computer Browser Automatic Local System
Cryptographic Services Automatic Local System
DHCP Client Automatic Local System
Distributed Link Tracking Client Automatic Local System
Error Reporting Automatic Local System
Event Log Automatic Local System
Help and Support Automatic Local System
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Manual Local System
Internet Connection Sharing Manual Local System
IPSec Services Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Automatic Local System
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service Manual Local System
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Manual Local System
Net Logon Automatic Local System
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Manual Local System
Network Connections Manual Local System
Network DDE Manual Local System
Network DDE DSDM Manual Local System
Network Location Awareness (NLA) Manual Local System
NT LM Security Support Provider Manual Local System
Performance Logs and Alerts Manual Network Service
Plug and Play Automatic Local System
Portable media serial number Automatic Local System
Print Spooler Automatic Local System
Protected Storage Automatic Local System
QoS RSVP Manual Local System
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Access Connection Manager Manual Local System
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Manual Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Automatic Local System
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator Manual Network Service
Remote Registry Automatic Local Service
Removable Storage Manual Local System
Routing and Remote Access Manual Local System
Secondary Logon Automatic Local System
Security Accounts Manager Automatic Local System
Shell Hardware Detection Automatic Local System
Smart Card Manual Local Service
Smart Card Helper Manual Local Service
SSDP Discovery Manual Local Service
System Event Notification Automatic Local System
System Restore Service Automatic Local System
Task Scheduler Automatic Local System
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Automatic Local Service
Telephony Manual Local System
Telnet Manual Local System
Terminal Services Manual Local System
Themes Automatic Local System
Uninterruptable Power Supply Manual Local Service
UPnP Device Host Manual Local System
Upload Manager Automatic Local System
Utility Manager Manual Local System
Volume Shadow Copy Manual Local System
WebClient Automatic Local Service
Windows Audio Automatic Local System
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing Automatic Local System
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Manual Local System
Windows Installer Manual Local System
Windows Management Instrumentation Automatic Local System
Windows Time Automatic Local System
Wireless Zero Configuration service Automatic Local System
WMI Performance Adapter Manual Local System
Workstation Automatic Local System

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-restore-the-defaults-for-services-under-my-computer-manage-367715.html
Relevancy 117.8%

When I go to insert a picture in a certain program the "picture services" window pops up. I go to choose the "icon size" for my photos and it will not remember the selection, "medium icons" for the size of my photos in the selection window. It always reverts back to "large icons". I can only see 2 pictures at a time with "large icons" instead of 8 with "medium icons". No matter which option I choose to view my pictures it always reverts back to "large icons". Does anyone know how to fix this?

A:clicking "insert picture" it always defaults back to "large icons"

"A certain program " is not much help, be more explicit.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/120804-clicking-insert-picture-always-defaults-back-large-icons.html
Relevancy 117.49%

hi,

OK, this is a weird one.

I wanted to move the "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders to another HDD. I moved the "My Documents" Folder to this HDD without a problem but the others I accidentally set the whole HDD as the folder (if that makes sense). So now the music, videos and pictures folders are set to this HDD and dont have an actual folder to change the properties of. Therein lies my dilema.

If anyone can offer any advice on this curly issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

A:Remaking "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders

Quote: Originally Posted by Legume

hi,

OK, this is a weird one.

I wanted to move the "My Music", "My Pictures", "My Videos" folders to another HDD. I moved the "My Documents" Folder to this HDD without a problem but the others I accidentally set the whole HDD as the folder (if that makes sense). So now the music, videos and pictures folders are set to this HDD and dont have an actual folder to change the properties of. Therein lies my dilema.

If anyone can offer any advice on this curly issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

You have a backup from before the problem started? a win 7 dvd to do a repair install?
ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/109624-remaking-my-music-my-pictures-my-videos-folders.html
Relevancy 117.18%

When I double click "My Computer" it opens up giving me the list of my disk drives, My Documents, etc. as it should. If I then double click "MY Documents" it will (correctly) OPEN that folder and display the various subfolders. However, if I double click on a disk drive, such as the C drive, DVD drive, etc., instead of opening the drive to display its contents, it opens a "Search" window, just the same as if I went from "Start" to "Search". If I open the disk drive using "Open" or "Explore" it will correctly show the contents. How do I get the double click to "Open" rather than "Search" a disk drive? Thank you. Bruce

A:Win Explorer defaults to "Search"

Instead of a folder opening in Windows Explorer when it is double-clicked, the Windows Search dialog opens--ALL folders are this way.

How do I set the default action on folders to open the folder instead of running Windows Search?

Sometimes after adding the right click with the Explorer, the default setting for opening a folder is changed.
To correct this:

Start Regedit
Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ shell
Edit the default value to be explorer or none

If you've never been into the registry go with the download below

save it to your desktop then right click and select merge

You can download a reg file to do this automatically at:

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/reg/directory.reg

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-explorer-defaults-to-search-239540.html
Relevancy 116.25%

Since a couple of days I've been having this weird glitch. When I double-click the drive folder, the folder does not open. Instead, the Search Results window is displayed. However, when I right-click the folder, and then choose "Open", the drive folder opens normally displaying my programs etc. Dunno if this is related or not but this began after I installed IE7, the first time around installing the installation crashed on me, second time around worked.

This only happens to the drive folders, not the folders/ subfolders themselves, they still function normally.

After hours and days of wasting time and energy, trying to get the default options back by attempting to customize the folder options/ views ,I finally came across this Microsoft Help & Support page which addresses my problem. I followed the steps described therein, with the result that now Notepad opens each time I doubleclick to open the drive folder...

I need advice please!

Relevancy 115.01%

Let via "missing" in through "explorer" Folders but software. not s say I have a folder in my Documents Folders "missing" in "explorer" but not through via software. somewhere called quot thisisit quot Within quot thisisit quot folder I have other folders each named for a student in my class When I go to Start gt Documents and navigate to quot thisisit quot I don t see any folders but I do Folders "missing" in "explorer" but not through via software. see all the files from all the folders It s as if my computer took all the files from the folders removed them from the folders and copied them into the parent folder quot thisisit quot and then deleted all the subfolders named after the students However if I navigate to that same quot thisisit quot folder through a software like Photoshop or ds Max I DO see all of the subfolders which are named after the students This just happened in a moment As in I was navigating through the folders one moment then I went to the parent folder a second later and voila no subfolders Anyone know what happened nbsp

A:Folders "missing" in "explorer" but not through via software.

When I go to Start > Documents and navigate to "thisisit", I don't see any folders, but I do see all the files from all the folders.Click to expand...

Look at the top right of the Windows Explorer window. If you see "Arrange by: Folder <down arrow>" I don't know what's wrong. If the window is arranged any other way, change it back to "Folder."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/folders-missing-in-explorer-but-not-through-via-software.1049189/
Relevancy 111.91%

How to remove the quot Authenticated Users quot quot Create Folders quot permission from the root of the C Drive via command-line I know this question has been asked many times before but nothing works for us We tried the following Take ownership I cannot take ownership using the Administrator account local and Domain Admin accounts of the root C Error Access Denied Cuurent root C owner is TrustedInstaller and acnnot be changed We cannot nbsp change or remove the Create Folders permission of the Authenticated Users of the root C Error Access Denied Drive C is hidden via GPO but many users can enter it from the File-Explorer and create folders permission "Create the "Authenticated Users" command-line? via Folders" How C the root from of to Drive the remove in the root C We do not want -for many reasons- to Block Prevent Access to C via GPO We also nbsp tried to run cacls and or icacls under the system-account PSEXEC -i -s -d CMD Error Access Denied icacls C deny S- - - NP AD Error Access Denied How to remove the "Authenticated Users" "Create Folders" permission from the root of the C Drive via command-line? icacls C remove g S- - - Error Access Denied cacls c e c R quot Authenticated Users quot Error Access Denied Also using GPO quot Computer Configuration Security Settings Restricted Groups quot does not work Now we have this issue How to remove the "Authenticated Users" "Create Folders" permission from the root of the C Drive via command-line? on over pc's on our network Nothing work Please help How to remove the quot Authenticated Users quot quot Create Folders quot permission from the root of the C Drive on nbsp command-line win builder

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2a97f7e6-c685-4a8d-b3db-ca8803c664f6/how-to-remove-the-quotauthenticated-usersquot-quotcreate-foldersquot-permission-from-the?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 111.91%

it just happened out of the blue!

one day we wanted to print a document and it printed "all backwards"
well, I tried four more times and "it printed the same way FOUR MORE TIMES"..

then I went on some "advanced setting" and UNCLICKED this "MIRROR IMAGE" thingy majigy aaaannnd: "BINGO" the "effing thing" was fixed...

yep it "was" fixed only for that time...

NOW EVERY TIME WE NEED TO PRINT ANY DOCUMENT WE NEED TO GO TO THE "SETTINGS PANEL" (a general term) and "UNCLICK" the stupid "MIRROR IMAGE" thingy...

the real question: how can I prevent the computer to "defaulting to the MIRROR IMAGE mode"?????

A:printer always "defaults" to "MIRROR IMAGE"

You need to access your "settings panel" via the Windows Control Panel.
ie Start, Control Panel, Printers and other Hardware, Printers & Faxes.
Right click on the Icon and select printing preferences.
Unclick the mirror image
The settings will then be saved as your default.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/printer-always-defaults-to-mirror-image.389856/
Relevancy 111.6%

How can I make it such that in Search Results, when I open a folder in a new window (by right-clicking a file), I will be directed to a window with the "full path" displayed in the address bar, instead of Search Results\"Path" or Search Results>"Path"?
Edit: "Right-click -> open file location" will open the file location and have the full address displayed. But that doesn't solve the problem if I have more than one result that I need to go to and check.

A:Open a new window with "full path" instead of Search Results\"Path"

See if this works, from the control panel, click on Folder options > View tab > check the box that says "Display the full path in the title bar" (classic theme only)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/123649-open-new-window-full-path-instead-search-results-path.html
Relevancy 111.29%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

A:Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders

closing thread, please do not create more than one thread for the same issue. Please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html .

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003510/
Relevancy 111.29%

Good day all I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop Also My Start Menu is empty I can t locate any of programs or documents a Right clicking and going to windows explorer I could only view quot My Computer quot quot Windows C and when I click on them they contain few irrelevant files In other words I can t find my personal saved documents quot my document quot folder recycle bin and all other programs My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet However I can open a microsoft office file PDF files if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive I can save files on my new blank desktop I presume this is a virus attack Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do AFTER FOLLOWING SOME ADVICE I AM BEGINNING TO GET Documents" folder erased. Locate and "My Menu" Can't folders "Start Desktop SOME OF Desktop erased. Can't Locate "My Documents" folder and "Start Menu" folders MY FILES BACK BUT MY START PROGRAM FOLDERS ARE ALL EMPTY For example when i click the microsoft office folder it is empty HOW CAN I GET RID OF THIS VIRUS PLEASE Thanking you in advance nbsp

closing duplicate, please respond at http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1003509-desktop-erased-cant-locate-my.html . Please do not create duplicate threads for the same issue.

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003517/
Relevancy 111.29%

Good day all.

I recently restarted my computer only to be met with an empty desktop.

Also, My Start Menu is empty. I can't locate any of programs or documents.a Right clicking and going to windows explorer, I could only view : "My Computer", "Windows (C); and when I click on them, they contain few irrelevant files.

In other words I can't find my personal saved documents, "my document" folder , recycle bin and all other programs.

My wifi still works so the only thing I can do on my system is browse on the internet.

However, I can open a microsoft office file, PDF files, if I download it directly from my email or from an external drive.

I can save files on my new blank desktop.

I presume this is a virus attack.

Can anyone be kind enough to advise me on what to do?

Thanking you in advance.

Your files and folders may have been hidden by the virus, go to folder options and 'show hidden files and folder' to see if they actually are hidden. If they are, you can use Grindler's UnHide tool to 'unhide' all of your files and folders. As for the virus, move this thread to the virus and other malware removal forum in order for it to be noticed by an authorised malware removal member.
Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-erased-cant-locate-my-documents-folder-and-start-menu-folders.1003509/
Relevancy 111.29%

My office just upgraded and I can no longer use Windows XP On this system I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists Each task on each taskbar was represented with a big custom icon to save eye strain I had them installed in opposite vertical margins and they "Launchpads", to "Toolbars" for "Docks" (MSese "TASKBARS" NOT add Need were set on auto-hide to keep them out of the way when not being used Just move your mouse pointer to the left or right margin and BAM Sorry for the cliche but I really got used to the convenience of what I had set up and I just don't think I Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars" can be as efficient without anything comparable Now there appears to be nothing comparable in the Windows GUI and it's making me sick with rage I see only the option to put a quot toolbar quot on an existing quot taskbar quot and no option to create any additional taskbars This cramps up your one-and-only taskbar plus the tiny toolbar access buttons require way too much precision for anything that's supposed to be quick When you've figured out how to bring up that ridiculous button the list that it yields is small enough to cause painful eyestrain - nothing efficient much less cool about this at all I have seen customization options in other OS GUIs that may have resolved some of these issues but I see none such in W I have tried every google search string that I can think of and found no answer that deals with anything other than adding that stupid toolbar to the only taskbar that Microsoft will allow you in W So If I'm wrong and have missed some options how do I access them Otherwise I'm hoping there are developers who know what I am talking about and have software to enable the creation of separate taskbars launchpads Can anybody help with either

A:Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"

Several possibilities here: Second taskbar in windows7? [Solved] - Windows 7 - Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306313-need-add-taskbars-msese-launchpads-docks-not-toolbars.html
Relevancy 110.98%

Hi,

When our website users click on an html attachment embedded on a web-page in IE9, the download manager will not display the "Open" option. It will only display "Save" and "Cancel" which our users don't like, having to save the
html document in a folder to open it. Whereas, when downloading attachments like pdf, word etc. all three options are displayed. 

Is there any setting to tweak , which will display all the 3 options for HTML attachments as well?

A:IE9 download manager will not display "Open" option (only "Save" and "Cancel" is displayed) for downloading HTML documents.

Hi,
As you know, the Open-Save-Cancel dialog box helps you prevent your computer from affecting by virus while downloading. 
So I suggest you test to reset all zones to a lower level temporarily and then please attempt to download this html attachment again.

However, since you can normally download the other documents, I suspect there is some restriction in the website which you are trying to view. I recommend you to contact the administrator of that website if possible.
could you please send me the link of the website from where you are trying to download the html attachment?
Thanks!

We
are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this
interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3094ac49-8d49-4a60-a7cf-fb12c823e500/ie9-download-manager-will-not-display-quotopenquot-option-only-quotsavequot-and?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 110.67%

I reformatted my computer recently with all the same Center Media 32-bit and WinXP on folders "AMD64" edition "i386" hardware and software I usually do "AMD64" and "i386" folders on WinXP Media Center 32-bit edition but this time I noticed something different On my E partition non-system there is a folder called quot ca a ecf b e quot which contains two folders quot AMD quot and quot i quot I researched a little bit and found out those folders pertain to a windows -bit edition but I don't have anything to do with a -bit edition mine's a -bit Here's my system specs WinXP Media Center Edition Version SP Intel Core Duo Processor E GB RAM NVidia GeForce GS MB ST AS GB HD I have my HD partitioned to drives GB System Drive C GB Document Drive D GB Storage Drive E I also have GB partitioned as an Acronis True Image Home Secure Zone for storing Disk Images I was wondering why those two folders are on my E drive when I'm running a -bit version of Windows Also sorry if this should be in another thread my computer has been restarting unexpectedly while I've just been doing random things on it Nothing graphics-intensive or anything like that so I don't know why it's doing that either Thanks for your help and time Nic

A:"AMD64" and "i386" folders on WinXP Media Center 32-bit edition

It sounds like those are temporary files from a driver installation. A lot of companies seem to package every possible driver in the zip or executable, extract them all to the hard drive, find the one the system needs and copy it to the system32 directory, then leave the rest behind.

In that case they should be safe to delete. It would take a bit more research on your part to make sure. Maybe a readme or help file somewhere in the directory?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/amd64-and-i386-folders-on-winxp-media-center-32-bit-edition-368337.html
Relevancy 110.67%

infected with quot vbs quot used quot Flash folders with on hard don't open afte infected all "vbs", drive "Flash_Disinfector" Disinfector quot amp folders on hard drive unable to open HI i got infected with quot vbs quot through someone's usb i ran quot Flash Disinfector quot then installed quot kaspersky quot scaned the whole computer it also deleted vbs trojan However after that when i infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open tried to open my computer by clicking on its icon it did not open i tried to open it fron strat up but the result was same all others like my documents etc were all right i open my computer through my documents opened my c drive when i tried to open further any folder present present in the C drive it gave me the error that is this item quot vbs quot that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut will no longer work properly Do you want to delete this shortcut infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open Howerever all my folders were not having any shortcut sign amp it was same with all folders present in all my drives but when i wrote the name of the folder in the address bar it opened normaly so now i cannot open my computer through its icon plus all the folders present in my hard drive please help me to sort this thing out dds DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Nadeem Ahmad at on Sat Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT AV Kaspersky Anti-Virus On-access scanning disabled Updated C D BC - - -A F -E C Running Processes C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe c program files idt wdm STacSV exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons QlbCtrl exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C Program Files Apoint K ApMsgFwd exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync Wcescomm exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C PROGRA MI AA rapimgr exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C Program Files Symantec Norton Ghost GhostStartService exe C Program Files Intel Intel R Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Intel Intel R Management Engine Components UNS UNS exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static ccc exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons Com QLBEx exe C Documents and Settings Nadeem Ahmad Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www msn com uDefault Page URL hxxp www msn com uInternet Connection Wizard ShellNext wmplayer exe ICWLaunch uInternet Settings ProxyServer socks uWindows Load quot c windows system smss exe vbs quot BHO HelperObject Class c d-c - c - -fce ad c - c program files techsmith snagit SnagItBHO dll BHO QvodExtend ac - de - - a e-a af add - c program files qvodplayer QvodExtend dll BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - c - d -b f - bbc d a e - c progra micros office GRA E DLL BHO MSN Toolbar Helper d ce e -f a- - e- dc f c f - c program files msn toolbar msneshellx dll BHO Ask Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll TB SnagIt ff e -abde- eb-b e-d aab cabe - c program files techsmith snagit SnagItIEAddin dll TB MSN Toolbar e ed c- cb - d -b e -ab c c - c program files msn toolbar msneshellx dll TB Ask Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll TB FF E -ABDE- EB-B E-D AAB CABE - No File TB BC A- - D - AC -E B A BA C - No File uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe uRun H PC Connection Agent quot c program files ... Read more

A:infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open

Hello buct,

It will require more than 1 round to clean the system. Please stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms seem to abate.

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT- Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

====================================================

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications as they will interfere with our tools and the removal.

====================================================

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.

As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/infected-with-vbs-afte-flash_disinfector-all-folders-on-hard-drive-dont-open-468423.html
Relevancy 110.67%

HI i got infected with quot vbs quot through someone's usb i ran quot Flash Disinfector quot then installed quot kaspersky quot scaned the whole computer it also deleted open used & drive "vbs", on unable with folders "Flash_Disinfector" to hard infected vbs trojan However after that when i tried to open my computer by clicking on its icon it did not open i tried to open it fron strat up but the result was same all others like my documents etc were all right i open my computer through my documents opened my c drive when i tried to open further any folder present infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open present in the C drive it gave me the error i am including the error meggage in attachment howerever all my folders were not having any shortcut sign amp it was same with all folders present in all my drives infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open but when i wrote the name of the folder in the address bar it opened normaly infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open so now i cannot open my computer through its icon plus all the folders present in my hard drive please help me to sort this thing out

A:infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open

Hello and Welcome.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link I'll give you below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/infected-with-vbs-used-flash_disinfector-and-folders-on-hard-drive-unable-to-open-468303.html
Relevancy 110.67%

Computer infected with quot Phoenix Toolkit Website quot rootkit trojan virus identified by both Norton Anti-Virus and Webroot SecureAnywhere Although the computer is having no symptoms of spyware besides the search engine highjacking that no longer occurs messages of blocked threats continuously pop up from Norton Anti-Virus Windows Ultimate Intel i CPU GB DDR Logfile of named in Undeletable "LP" and Files/Rootkit. "73949" Program folders Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes Undeletable folders named "LP" and "73949" in Program Files/Rootkit. C Program Files x Norton AntiVirus Engine ccSvcHst exe C Program Files x Ralink Common RaUI exe C Program Files x iMesh Applications MediaBar Datamngr datamngrUI exe C Program Files x LP C exe C Program Files x Real RealPlayer Update realsched exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files x lvvm exe C Program Files x BitTorrent BitTorrent exe C Program Files Webroot WRSA exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer Undeletable folders named "LP" and "73949" in Program Files/Rootkit. iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files x Norton AntiVirus Engine MCUI EXE C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Users Zohair Razvi AppData Local Microsoft Windows Temporary Internet Files Content IE HOUF NM HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http google com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - Default URLSearchHook is missing F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - Hosts www precisionmanuals com O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Wincore Mediabar - -e f - ed - c- e af a a - C PROGRA IMESHA MediaBar Datamngr ToolBar wincoreimdtx dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C ProgramData Real RealPlayer BrowserRecordPlugin IE rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO Symantec Intrusion Prevention - D EC - AAE- -AEEE-F F C - C Program Files x Norton AntiVirus Engine IPSBHO DLL O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Windows Live Messenger Companion Helper - FDDE B- F- -AB F- CBEFF - C Program Files x Windows Live Companion companioncore dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - BHO URLRedirectionBHO - B F A - E - -BA - B E FF - C PROGRA MICROS Office URLREDIR DLL O - BHO DataMngr - BE A F - CB- -B B-B EDA B - C PROGRA IMESHA MediaBar Datamngr BROWSE DLL O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - Toolbar Wincore Mediabar - -e f - ed - c- e af a a - C ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/undeletable-folders-named-lp-and-73949-in-program-files-rootkit.1032980/
Relevancy 110.67%

G day all I am hoping someone may be able to tell me why my local folders appear under quot The Internet quot Local Places" Solved: opening Network appear "My Folders "The as Internet"when on one of our work computers rather than under quot Local Network quot We have four machines running XP Home and one running XP Pro The front machine has XP Home on it and I cannot open any Solved: Local Folders appear as "The Internet"when opening "My Network Places" of the shared folders for this machine on any of the other three machines even though they all have the same workgroup name Solved: Local Folders appear as "The Internet"when opening "My Network Places" They are all connected via CAT cable and we have a Netcomm NB ADSL modem router a Netcomm V Telephone Adapter VOIP modem and an port switch in the boss s office And the front computer s folder s and drives that I have chosen to be shared are listed under quot The Internet quot Does anyone know why this is and how I would go about correcting it Thankyou for your help and time Aaron nbsp

A:Solved: Local Folders appear as "The Internet"when opening "My Network Places"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-local-folders-appear-as-the-internet-when-opening-my-network-places.578697/
Relevancy 110.67%

I have Windows Home Pro installed on my laptop and I'm one of those people that likes to keep my Start Menu folder OCD-tidy In W as I believe it was in Vista there are two folders that handle the program shortcuts for the Start Menu There's "personal" merge to users" Any Menu and Start reason folders? "all not a user-specific one for programs only that user can use and the all-users one for programs everyone can use C Users Joe AppData Roaming Microsoft Windows Start Menu Programs and C ProgramData Microsoft Windows Start Menu Programs I'm Any reason not to merge Start Menu "personal" and "all users" folders? the only user on my laptop so I'd like to just consolidate these two folders Any reason not to merge Start Menu "personal" and "all users" folders? into one to make it easier for me to sort and keep track of Is Any reason not to merge Start Menu "personal" and "all users" folders? there any reason not to just drag-and-drop stuff from one to the other Is there one that I should use in preference to the other should I keep everything in the quot user quot folder or the quot all-users quot folder I'm pretty sure I just did this without any problem in Vista but I wanted to make sure so I don't mess anything up as I'm new to W Thanks Joe

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/any-reason-not-to-merge-start-menu-personal-and-all-users-folders-610871.html
Relevancy 110.36%

I am infected with this crap and have used the following tools to try to get rid of it Windows Defender Unible PowerSuite SpeedUpMyPC Registry Booster amp Spyware Protector and Norton's - "Error Worm-Popups-The Icons Netsky Cleaner" Protector" "Spyware..." Three "Privacy One Button Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..." Checkup and WinDoctor Not sure if it's related but my DISPLAY is locked at X Atempted the Step Process before posting and Panda ActiveScan froze and crashed after scanning files but not before identifying spyware files Here's my extra txt log from Deckard's Deckard's System Scanner v Extra logfile - please post Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..." this as an attachment with your post -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -- System Information ---------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition build SP Architecture X Language English CPU Intel R Pentium R CPU GHz Percentage of Memory in Use Physical Memory total avail MiB MiB Pagefile Memory total avail MiB MiB Virtual Memory total avail MiB MiB A is Removable No Media C is Fixed NTFS - GiB total GiB free D is CDROM CDFS PHYSICALDRIVE - ST A - GiB - partition PARTITION - Unknown - MiB PARTITION bootable - Installable File System - GiB - C -- Security Center ------------------------------------------------------------- AUOptions is scheduled to auto-install Windows Internal Firewall is disabled AntiVirusDisableNotify is set FirewallDisableNotify is set FW Norton Internet Security v Symantec Corporation AV Norton Internet Security v Symantec Corporation HKLM System CurrentControlSet Services SharedAccess Parameters FirewallPolicy DomainProfile AuthorizedApplications List quot windir system sessmgr exe quot quot windir system sessmgr exe enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe Enabled Logitech Harmony Remote Software quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe Enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe Enabled Logitech Desktop Messenger quot HKLM System CurrentControlSet Services SharedAccess Parameters FirewallPolicy StandardProfile AuthorizedApplications List quot windir system sessmgr exe quot quot windir system sessmgr exe enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE quot quot C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE Enabled LEXPPS EXE quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Logitech Harmony Remote Software HarmonyRemote exe Enabled Logitech Harmony Remote Software quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe quot quot windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe Enabled xpsp res dll - quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe Enabled Logitech Desktop Messenger quot quot C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe quot quot C Program Files LimeWire LimeWire exe Enabled LimeWire quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe Enabled Yahoo Messenger quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YServer exe quot quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YServer exe Enabled Yahoo FT Server quot quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe quot quot C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe Enabled Windows Messenger quot quot C Program Files Veoh Networks Veoh VeohCli... Read more

A:Netsky Worm-Popups-The Three Icons - "Error Cleaner" "Privacy Protector" "Spyware..."

Bump.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/netsky-worm-popups-the-three-icons-error-cleaner-privacy-protector-spyware-207223.html
Relevancy 109.74%

Ok so im new here so hey everybody to the point my laptop is quot stuttering quot lagging skipping whatever you wanna call it its doing it my video music and cursor skip every second for a splt second it starts on start-up and dont stop til i turn my laptop off it happens in a pattern its not random ive done checked my drivers spyware and m RAM is good so can someone please help me could it be because my battery wont hold a charger so it has to be hooked up to the charger at ALL times or it dies Example is the charger not got the quot juice quot to run the laptop by itself so it studders skips i dont know if this has report viewer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" Whole Solved: (PLEASE computer .. event have anything to do with my problem but i ran quot event viewer quot and found this The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Cdrom Imapi redbook PLEASE HELP OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Genuine Intel R CPU Solved: Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE T GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R GM Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc FF HWPLLB CN S Antivirus McAfee VirusScan Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Disable nbsp

A:Solved: Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-whole-computer-studders-skips-lags-have-event-viewer-report-please.981934/
Relevancy 109.43%

Hi I'm thinking about repairing Windows Home Premium bit with the DVD because of BSOD but I hesitate I first need to know if the backup folder called quot Windows old quot will be a COPY keeps Date Does timestamps "Windows.old" & ? folders keep "Date Created" of files Modified but updates Date Created or a CUT simply moves all folders to an other thus doesn't change Date Created Thanks So of course only those who have ever reinstalled Windows may know the answer If you don't know Does "Windows.old" keep "Date Created" timestamps of files & folders ? but have reinstalled Windows at least once please spare Does "Windows.old" keep "Date Created" timestamps of files & folders ? seconds to check simply find a file like a picture or music that you had before the reinstall and see in the bottom bar of explorer if its Date Created is the original or the reinstall date You can also click Display tab in Explorer then Sort by gt Others gt check quot Date Created quot gt OK gt Click display again gt Sort by gt Date Created Don't mistake with Date Modified I know the original Date Modified is kept upon copying but it will Does "Windows.old" keep "Date Created" timestamps of files & folders ? update if you modify the file obviously Please be honest and double check losing years old dates of my past would be heartbreaking like mixing the pages of my diary Date Created is very important to me and is underrated because it's not the default sorting option unlike Name Type Date Modified because my computer is years old now has thousands of files and folders and it's easy to find them back and organize them with Date Created sorting if I didn't write tags or description in the file name If it doesn't keep Date Created any simple other way to fix Windows without losing them is welcomed I guess cutting manually files and move them to an external drive would but I'm afraid it messes up my PC before I even finish the transfer Would a classic backup keep Date Created I guess this is becoming too much quot off section quot Please be human and ignore the following if it is maybe someone might have an answer to the relevant initial question Sorry I don't commonly use forums but I'm too helpless v All this is not important though If my problem with dates is fixed To be honest my problem wouldn't be the backup if I wasn't threatened by BSOD every day Since about week now I get minutes of BSOD daily randomly within the first hours of usage of the day then it runs perfectly the whole day after that I cleaned some years old dust inside the PC and graphic card fans fixed temporarily for like - months then BSOD again changed thermal paste and re-plugged my ram bars fixed temporarily again few months So I guess it's in the system files I did anti virus scans SFC scannow on System but it didn't find anything what a lie I even had the quot file header checksum corrupt quot black screen sometimes and quot PFN LIST CORRUPT quot some BSOD Should I perform the scan in an other folder BSOD suspect files are mostly ntkrnlpa exe halmacpi dll win k sys ntfs sys recently dxgmms sys and some really special snowflakes that appeared red one time in BlueScreenView such as fltmgr sys npfs sys ataport sys volsnap sys and many more it's so gross and nasty I could leave a screenshot of my BlueScreenView history if needed all kinds of errors That's why I'm depressed causes are so multiple and random Though I think I modified something in regedit about quot TdrDelay quot value in Graphic Drivers because of the BSODs in gaming or YouTube I have a registry backup but it's more than year old so not sure if it's safe and I don't remember if it had the default settings and what they were right now its value is I don't know if I even had the file before so a reinstall would be simpler if that is the problem I just hope it doesn't have to do with materials that I have to pay a lot for

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/381341-does-windows-old-keep-date-created-timestamps-files-folders.html
Relevancy 109.12%

When I press "open file" in the program "Business Intelligence" of an Office
program like Excel, I would like the window columns to be in "detail" view
instead of "list" view.
How can I do this?
Is this a registry default that can be changed?
Thanks,
Josh

Relevancy 109.12%

Hi there,

I didn't really know how to google for this (although I did), so I didn't find anything proper and like to ask you: How do I remove the "labels" from drive types in "Computer" window? What I mean:
These labels above the different drives are really annoying, as I'm accustomed at one item after another and somehow one could change it to that view in every OS every since (XP, Vista), but now it doesn't seem to work? (I tried all the context menu items )

Any ideas? Thanks for your help in advance, much appreciated!

Kind regards

A:Remove "labels" from drive types in "Computer" window?

you can change the view a bit by using the button highlighted below - i don't know if you can remove the labels though...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/21420-remove-labels-drive-types-computer-window.html
Relevancy 108.81%

RE:
Installing "Search Engine" and "Visitors' Counter" on my MSN Forum board.

A typical MSN Group Forum looks like this,(below) where in da left column, are all the
"activity menus" commands available.

Example:

http://groups.msn.com/greatgujarat/messages.msnw

Some people can add "search" command ( Only for the posts inside that forum ) and also visitors indicators ( how many ppl visited da forum) on their forum Boards, and I always wonder...
How do they do that?

I also monitor one MSN group and I need to do those.

Pl. Advise me step by step, as I am novice and I will highly appreciate it.

Thanks all.

A:Installing "Search Engine" and "Visitors Counter" on my MSN Forum board.

bravenet.com is good for people who dont know any computer languages i used it once upon a time its free you can get your post counters small search bars and what not there

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f49/installing-search-engine-and-visitors-counter-on-my-msn-forum-board-103202.html
Relevancy 108.81%

Here is my hijack log file Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on - - Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgserv exe C WINDOWS System "search help pleas "http://4bf65.ilxt.info" Hijacked, for" DRIVERS CDANTSRV EXE C WINDOWS System inetsrv inetinfo exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System snmp exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS System mqsvc exe C WINDOWS System mqtgsvc exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exe C PROGRA Logitech MOUSEW SYSTEM EM EXEC EXE C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files Hijacked, pleas help "search for" "http://4bf65.ilxt.info" Winamp Winampa exe C PROGRA GUITAR uninstall exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync WCESCOMM EXE C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe C Program Files Plextor PlexTool exe C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server Tools Binn sqlmangr exe C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zonealarm exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE C WINDOWS Hijacked, pleas help "search for" "http://4bf65.ilxt.info" System wuauclt exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files TextPad TextPad exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C HijackThis hijackthis exe R Hijacked, pleas help "search for" "http://4bf65.ilxt.info" - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant res C WINDOWS System ahh dll sp html obfuscated R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main HomeOldSP about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main HomeOldSP about blank O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - D CE -B - C -AEC -E AB - C WINDOWS System ahh dll O - BHO no name - E F - - D - F B- D B D - no file O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS System NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe install O - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE O - HKLM Run zBrowser Launcher C Program Files Logitech iTouch iTouch exe O - HKLM Run EM EXEC C PROGRA Logitech MOUSEW SYSTEM EM EXEC EXE O - HKLM Run NeroCheck C WINDOWS System NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run hpppta C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP PrecisionScan PrecisionScan Pro hpppta exe ICON O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run MsmqIntCert regsvr s mqrt dll O - HKLM Run WinampAgent quot C Program Files Winamp Winampa exe quot O - HKLM Run uninstall C PROGRA GUITAR uninstall exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKCU Run MSMSGS quo... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hijacked-pleas-help-search-for-http-4bf65-ilxt-info.274768/
Relevancy 108.81%

This is a resurection of an old unresolved Vista Post and it also happens in Windows Original subject - Start Menu - program search issue I use Windows Mail for my daily email "phot" not - and find Windows similar Desktop but "photo" Search tasks and would like to be able to open the program by using the Windows Desktop Search - find "phot" but not "photo" and similar vista search bar built into the start menu The problem is when i search for quot mai quot it brings up Windows Mail and I can hit enter and load the program However when I search for quot mail quot it returns quot No items match your search quot I have it set to index both the start menu and my programs directory Windows Desktop Search - find "phot" but not "photo" and similar and have even tried to rebuild the index It seems kind of strange that Vista would recognize that when I type quot mai quot I want my mail programs but when I actually type quot mail quot it gets Windows Desktop Search - find "phot" but not "photo" and similar confused and this in turn has -me- confused and Oh thank goodness I've finally found someone else with the same problem The word I have issues with is quot photo quot quot phot quot works great but no results for quot photo quot Not a show-stopper but WHY I've noticed the same thing with Windows Desktop Search in Windows After some experimenting I think I have the reason why but not a fix It seems to em that mail and photo are probably used as quot kind quot prefixes in Windows search and even if you enter photo with out the quot kind quot it must ASSUME quot kind quot I found that if I put photo in quotes it works fine The problem with this solution is knowing which words to treat as quot kind quot prefixes as as far as I can see from the drop down menu photo and mail are not in the drop down option for quot kind quot only E-mail and picture Perhaps a hangover of the original programing Does anyone know of a solution for this

http://www.vistax64.com/software/291146-windows-desktop-search-find-phot-but-not-photo-similar.html
Relevancy 108.5%

Ok so im new here so hey everybody to the point my laptop is quot stuttering quot lagging skipping whatever you wanna call it its doing it my video music report (PLEASE event have HELP) Whole .. viewer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" computer and cursor skip every second for a splt second it starts on start-up and dont stop til i turn my laptop off it happens in a pattern its not random ive done checked my Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE HELP) drivers spyware and m RAM is good so can someone please help me could it be because my battery wont hold a charger so it has to be hooked up to the charger at ALL times or it dies Example is the charger not got the quot juice quot to run the laptop by itself so it studders skips i dont know if this has anything to do with my problem but i ran quot event viewer quot and found this The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load Cdrom Imapi redbook PLEASE HELP nbsp

A:Whole computer "studders"/"skips"/"lags" .. have event viewer report (PLEASE HELP)

**(DONT KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP..)***

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 502 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family, 224 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 39723 MB, Free - 23484 MB; D: Total - 12684 MB, Free - 3633 MB;

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/whole-computer-studders-skips-lags-have-event-viewer-report-please-help.981932/
Relevancy 108.19%

ok!!!!!!!!!! what is it and how do i fix it,,,, eyes crossed knees woobly help?????????????????????

A:[Solved] mplay32.exe,1"/play/close"%L"." and sndrec32.exe"%L"."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-mplay32-exe-1-play-close-l-and-sndrec32-exe-l.197498/
Relevancy 108.19%

I have been plagued for years by this bug (see attached Mad_Explorer_col.JPG screen dump), and this morning after visiting Tech Support Guy > Windows XP then searching for "Windows Explorer", on page 2 in "Solved: Explorer tree display curiosity, AKA Odd Windows Explorer Bug", page 2, I found the cause and solution brought by Mosaic1 Wed 07 Mar 2007 05:48 GMT:
Do you have the desktop toolbar on the taskbar?​and mrwes Tue 07 Aug 2007 18:34 GMT:
You can get around this by making the toolbar point to the Desktop but using c:\Documents and Settings > (Profile name) > Desktop. You don't see the My Computer and IE icons in the list, but everything else shows up...​Thanks a lot to Mosaic1 and mrwes!

Versailles, Sat 13 Feb 2010 10:34:25 +0100

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-displaying-multiple-desktop-solved-thanks-mosaic1-and-mrwes.902590/
Relevancy 108.19%

Hi TechGuy I m having some recent problems on my laptop When I log-in and start using it the Solved: process running, "Generic.dx" open, "Explorer.exe" keeps IE intermittently Windows performance starts slowing down When I look at the Task Manager I notice that the task called Explorer exe takes up a lot of my CPU In a couple of minutes I also start getting Internet Explorer windows to pop-up on my screen I normally use Firefox with advertisements suggesting that my computer is infected and some software downloads that could help I recently installed McAfee Total Works or whatever they call their -in- software which is supposed to do it all I ran several scans and on some of them if did Solved: "Explorer.exe" process keeps running, IE Windows intermittently open, "Generic.dx" find and disable the Generic dx trojan Even though it claims it is doing something I don t notice any changes - Explorer exe continues to bog me down and the IE windows keep popping up to the point that I cannot use my computer effectively anymore IBM T- laptop about three and a half years old Microsoft XP-Professional Any pointers would be truly appreciated Thanks Sandjosh nbsp

A:Solved: "Explorer.exe" process keeps running, IE Windows intermittently open, "Generic.dx"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-explorer-exe-process-keeps-running-ie-windows-intermittently-open-generic-dx.602607/
Relevancy 107.57%

I have some kind of malware on my system and I need help to remove it.

Symptoms: After performing a web search using google and click my desired site, my browser is usually redirected to one of the following sites: zapmeta, netster, romemaster, stopzilla, toseeka. It's different everytime.

What I've done thus far: I've run Spybot and Ad-Aware during a "safemode" session. These found a lot of "threats," which I removed. This did not fix the problem. I then tried to restore my computer to an earlier date, but that failed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Relevancy 107.57%

Hi I use Yahoo search engine and everytime I try to search for anything lately in the search results in addition to the words I entered quot quot and quot YST quot are highlighted as if they were entered in the search perameters when they weren t thus limiting and completely screwing up what I am looking for Can anyone help Thanks in advance Here s my HijackThis log Logfile of HijackThis when and aren't Yahoo search "200" "YST" results typed in they in appearing being v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton Utilities NPROTECT EXE C WINDOWS system pctspk exe C PROGRA NORTON SPEEDD nopdb "200" and "YST" appearing in Yahoo search results when they aren't being typed in exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS wanmpsvc exe C WINDOWS System WFXSVC EXE C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C WINDOWS System wfxsnt exe C Program Files Microsoft Hardware Keyboard type exe C Program Files Microsoft Hardware Mouse point exe C Program Files Pop Up Stopper and Ad Killer pusak exe C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashmaisv exe C WINDOWS System hphmon exe C Program Files Lexmark X Series lxbkbmgr exe C Program Files Lexmark X Series lxbkbmon exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe C Documents and Settings Shavonne Application Data oaci exe C WINDOWS System fedvax exe C Program Files Outlook Express msimn exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride O - BHO no name - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C PROGRA YAHOO COMPAN INSTALLS cpn ycomp dll O - BHO no name - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO no name - CF B EE- - D -A E- BB E - C Program Files Panicware Pop-Up Stopper Pro CCHelper dll O - BHO no name - FFA -CB - E - - A - C WINDOWS System upjmfzmf dll O - BHO no name - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton SystemWorks Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar Pop-Up Stopper amp Companion - F B A - D - B F-AF - B F - C Program Files Panicware Pop-Up Stopper Companion popupus dll O - Toolbar Pa amp nicware Pop-Up Stopper Pro - B E E - E - D - FD - B CCBD - C Program Files Panicware Pop-Up Stopper Pro popuppro dll O - Toolbar amp Yahoo Companion - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C PROGRA YAHOO COMPAN INSTALLS cpn ycomp dll O - HKLM Run REGSHAVE C Program Files REGSHAVE REGSHAVE EXE AUTORUN O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run WinFaxAppPortStarter wfxsnt exe O - HKLM Run IntelliType quot C Program Files Microsoft Hardware Keyboard type exe quot O - HKLM Run POINTER point exe O - HKLM Run sureshotpopupkiller quot C Program Files Pop Up Stopper and Ad Killer pusak exe quot -minimized O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run avast C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe O - HKLM Run ashMaiSv C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashmaisv exe O - HKLM Run KernelFaultCheck systemroot system dumprep -k O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run HPHmon C WINDOWS System hphmon exe O - HKLM Run HPHUPD quot C Progra... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/200-and-yst-appearing-in-yahoo-search-results-when-they-arent-being-typed-in.264187/
Relevancy 107.57%

I have some irritating hijackers adwares on my computer There are the Home Search Assistent Search Extender Shopping Wizard programs that I cannot delete There is my hijackers taken have Search over Assistent" and "about:blank" "Home computer! also the about blank hijacker that keeps taking over my home page Then I also see this fake warning about quot your computer might be at risk quot and that wants me to download a searchclick cc file or something "Home Search Assistent" and "about:blank" hijackers have taken over my computer! I would appreciate any help Here is my HJT log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT System svchost exe C WINNT System acs exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINNT system spoolsv exe C WINNT system javaot exe C WINNT System Ati evxx exe C WINNT system CTsvcCDA EXE C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus SavRoam exe C WINNT System svchost exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINNT Explorer EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C WINNT ieac exe C WINNT system ctfmon exe C Program Files D-Link AirPlus G Wireless Adapter Utility AirPlus exe C Program Files palmOne Hotsync exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OUTLOOK EXE C Program Files Microsoft Office Office WINWORD EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C HJT HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant res C WINNT system tehyu dll sp html resultposition net R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Comcast R - Default URLSearchHook is missing O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO Class - EE B EF-CEA - AD - FDD-ECAA CC C - C WINNT system wingu dll O - BHO no name - F AF- C - - D C- C DD C - no file O - BHO no name - F F-B FA- FEB- E F- AEB D A - no file O - BHO no name - B BCC -E -A AC- B - B AF E F - no file O - Toolbar Yahoo Companion - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dll file missing O - HKLM Run ATIModeChange Ati mdxx exe O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run GWMDMpi C WINNT GWMDMpi exe O - HKLM Run Ink Monitor C Program Files EPSON Ink Monitor InkMonitor exe O - HKLM Run dmjziw c winnt system kxfcxdy exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run javamr exe C WINNT javamr exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp... Read more

A:"Home Search Assistent" and "about:blank" hijackers have taken over my computer!

Hi there and welcome to TSF.

I am currently reviewing your log. Please note that this is under the supervision of an expert analyst, and I will be back with a fix for your problem a.s.a.p

Please be patient with me during this time.

We also suggest that you Subscribe to this thread to be notified of fixes as soon as they are posted by our Team. You can do this simply by clicking the "Thread Tools" button located in the original thread line and selecting "Subscribe to this Thread".

regards
alba

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/home-search-assistent-and-about-blank-hijackers-have-taken-over-my-computer-92333.html
Relevancy 107.57%

Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, boots up and runs fine as long as "Windows Search" is NOT checked in "Services".

When I run msconfig in the Services Tab, that is the Windows Search checkbox that I'm talking about.

If the box is checked, computer will start up, allow me to click on my user icon and load everything as if it's ready to go. The cursor moves with the mouse but does not respond to mouse clicks, also the computer does not response to the keyboard. If I click the start button, I get the spinning round wait icon (or whatever that is called). It also runs fine in Safe Mode.
I tried sfc.exe /scannow I have all the latest windows updates. I have run several different anti-virus, anti-malware programs. I ran chkdsk. Do I need Windows Search checked in Services? What does Window Search do? Is that where you can search from the Start Button area?

A:boots up then freezes when "Windows Search" is checked in "Services"

Which flag did you use with chkdsk - /F ?? My first guess is that Search is trying to index and snagging on something - either a file system problem or bad disk sectors. The /F flag deals with the filesystem. If you haven't tried /R, for sectors, do so, but only after backing up important data, and perhaps taking a system image if the system's current state is valuable to you. I prefer to run chkdsk from a WinPE/RE boot disk so I can study its output at leisure.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/366035-boots-up-then-freezes-when-windows-search-checked-services.html
Relevancy 107.57%

Sometime over the last few weeks Google's quot More quot drop-down and its quot Search Tools quot menu items have quit working in IE The other buttons that let you select web images shopping etc still work properly The quot More quot and quot Search Tools quot buttons get focus when the mouse is over them and they no buttons longer "More" working... Google "Search Tools" and animate when clicked but nothing happens I have Google Chrome and Apple's Safari installed and Google "More" and "Search Tools" buttons no longer working... the buttons work properly on these browsers I've googled it but most of the posts found are about a not-quite-the-same problem of the buttons just working momentarily At any rate I tried the fix clearing cache and cookies that some of the posters said worked but it didn't make any difference I've disabled all of the ad-ons and the problem is still there I re-enabled each add-on one at a time and tried it but none of them had any effect I've disabled my Norton Security Suite and the problem still exists I've reset IE and other than losing all of my saved passwords it too made no difference I think this might be a useful clue I noticed that for all of the buttons that are working when I pass the mouse pointer over them it displays a URL down in the status bar However for the two that are not working nothing is displayed It appears that the controls associated with these buttons either don't exist or are being blocked Does anyone have the solution for this or at least and idea of what the problem is Thanks in advance for your help Howard Redmond WA

A:Google "More" and "Search Tools" buttons no longer working...

Hello Howard,

you can observe one thing here. All the menu items are just links. But More and Search Tools menu items are different. More is drop down menu and Search Tools also kind of drop down but with sub menu items.

So it seems like there are some script errors with your IE 10 browser.

But i am sorry, re installing IE is the only option i can suggest.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/276978-google-more-search-tools-buttons-no-longer-working.html
Relevancy 107.57%

Does anybody know how I can change these icons?

I changed the default icon for the network one in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F02C1A0D-BE21-4350-88B0-7367FC96EF3C} but it didn't change.
Appreciate any help,

B

A:Changing "Computer" and "Network" icons in explorer navigation pane

Hello, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you like, you could use the method in the tutorial below to change the icon of "Computer" and "Network" to what you like, and have it applied everywhere in Windows.

Desktop Icons - Change or Restore Default Icon

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/351478-changing-computer-network-icons-explorer-navigation-pane.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Hi all So I'm kind of stuck I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of quot loading files quot - gt quot Windows Boot Manager quot see How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows The Easy Way I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load I also end up at a OneKey Recovery as well unfortunately the laptop does not have initial backup or user backup Manager" -> files Boot ..." "Loading "OneKey" "Windows -> images I have a Windows CD for repairing purposes however I cannot load the BIOS UEFI to change "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" the boot order to load the optical drives first I have also tried to remove the CMOS battery to fix it did not work Also - Windows "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" Boot Manager Windows Setup EMS Enabled -- does not load properly leads to OneKey Recovery Safe Mode does not load properly Safe Mode with Networking does not load properly Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't load - tries to boot and load all files onto partition that is too small can't change partition Enable Boot Logging Enable Low-Resolution Video Debugging MOde Disable automatic restart on system failure Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Display Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver Start Windows Normally Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55670-loading-files-windows-boot-manager-onekey.html
Relevancy 106.95%

I am using Windows 7 on my laptop and I have question about when to use "Home", "Work" and "Public" profile.

If I am logging in without setting password, and I am logging in network with "Public" profile, then will any other user, who can see my computer, be able to enter my computer and check the contents on my computer ?

I am connecting to a network and there are 6 other users connected to this network. In the set network location window, if I select the netwoek as "Home", does it mean that other 6 users will not be able to see my computer on network and if I use "Public", then all other six users will be able to see my computer on network ?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/when-to-use-home-work-or-public-profile-while-connecting-to-network-478413.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Hi everyone!

Yesterday my HP laptop (Windows 7) started getting BSOD with various types of errors (mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "STOP: 0x0000007A", "c00021a" and one "missing %hs, c0000135"). Most of the time it restarts without any issues and works fine right after the BSOD and then an hour or two later I get a BSOD again.

I have tried restoring to Last Known Good Configuration, startup repair, hard disk check, virus scans and I also uninstalled any recently added programs I could think of and cleared up more than 50% of my hard disk space. None of these seem to have helped and I still get BSOD regularly.

I have attached the folder from the SF Diagnostic Tool and would appreciate any advice!
Thank you!

A:BSOD every few hours: mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "c00021a" & "c0000135"

Welcome to the forum.

MSINFO32:
Please go to Start and type in "msinfo32.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Save the report as an .nfo file, then zip up the .nfo file and upload/attach the .zip file with your next post.
Also, save a copy as a .txt file and include it also (it's much more difficult to read, but we have greater success in getting the info from it).
------------------------
Upload a screenshot using: CrystalDiskInfo For how to upload a screenshot or file, read here
Test your Hard Drive(s) by running: Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure
------------------------
Test and Diagnose RAM Issues with Memtest86+: RAM - Test with Memtest86+

Tip
Pay close attention to Part 3 of the tutorial "If you have errors"
Test the RAM with Memtest86+ for at least 7-10 passes. It may take up to 22 passes to find problems. Make sure to run it once after the system has been on for a few hours and is warm, and then also run it again when the system has been off for a few hours and is cold.

------------------------
Monitor hardware temperature with system monitoring software like Speccy or HWMonitor. Upload a screen shot of the Summary tab as well:Piriform - Speccy
CPUID - HWMonitor
For how to upload a screenshot or file, read here

Code:
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck F4, {3, 87a2e968, 87a2ead4, 83a55cf0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : csrss.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
---------
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck F4, {3, 87a7bd40, 87a7beac, 83a1fcf0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : csrss.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/307397-bsod-every-few-hours-mostly-stop-0x00000f4-c00021a-c0000135.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Hello guys the last week I ve been strugling with these nasty BSODs At first I thought it was my HDDs as ntoskrn exe somewhat hinted towards that from googling it My HDDs have been causing a lot of trouble earlier as well due "ntoskrnl.exe" header", BSOD management", pool "Bad "Memory - to their somewhat long years of service However I ve recently reformated my computer and installed W on a brand new Corsair Force GT GB SSD hoping the BSODs would go away they didn t I googled BSOD - "Memory management", "Bad pool header", "ntoskrnl.exe" BSOD and I stumbled upon this forum and I thought I d give it a try I m somewhat desperate as I need my computer working for both work school and amusement I ve been trying to run Memtest in order to test my memory BSOD - "Memory management", "Bad pool header", "ntoskrnl.exe" but without any results I m also currently running on only on GB chip instead BSOD - "Memory management", "Bad pool header", "ntoskrnl.exe" of two to see if the problem still exists Also without any results This is the second time I m writing this thread btw I was just about to post it and my PC crashed Here is my two logs dxdiag last crash didn t generate a log oddly enough Here is additional hardware gear that I use Razer Megalodon Headset Razer Naga Logitech G Logitech C Webcam Corsair W PSU My temperatures are also good Both CPU and MB idles at around GPU s all good too I m also using a Corsair D chassi with dustfilters at both air-income so dust is minimal On top off this I use airpressure to clean away dust somewhat regularly and I also did exactly this days ago when I reinstalled the pc Thanks in advance nbsp

A:BSOD - "Memory management", "Bad pool header", "ntoskrnl.exe"

Are you over-clocking? Is the bios set to its defaults? Is the SSD set on a SATA 3 port in AHCI mode?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-memory-management-bad-pool-header-ntoskrnl-exe.182278/
Relevancy 106.95%

Ok so I'm using a custom visual style made by another user however I don't really like the buttons used that I mentioned Changing of "minimize" buttons a theme and "close" "maximize" the above The creator states it is acceptable to change the theme to however you like Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme as long as you don't redistribute it anywhere Ok so I opened up the msstyles file using Restorator located in the theme folder of this VS I went into the images directory and located what seems Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme to be the images used for the buttons Intuitively it seems like it would make sense to replace those images with different ones perhaps from another visual style and it should change them However would this actually work Could the theme get messed up in some other way like proportions or something if the new button images are smaller I don't know of any other way to change them that would be easy But I did run into another problem For some visual styles I can't even locate those buttons in the images directory Where else would they be

A:Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme

Use Windows Style Builder to do that...

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/200947-changing-minimize-maximize-close-buttons-theme.html
Relevancy 106.95%

Example sentence: vrytim I prss ths kys, nothing happns. Now I'm writing with my on-sreen keyboard. I'm clueless when it comes to computer stuff. How do I fix this? Is this a software problem, or a hardware problem?Help is much appreciated!

A:Kyboard deos not respond to the keys: "e", "d", "c" and "3"

My keyboard hath the thame problem with the thupid eth key. The blathted thing ith driving me nutth.

All theriousneth...er...seriousness aside, usually, that is a hardware problem. Can you find or borrow another keyboard and see if it will work correctly on your machine?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/311639-kyboard-deos-not-respond-keys-e-d-c-3-a.html
Relevancy 106.33%

My problem started and I Found" Entry W2K: - "ljjjjij.dll" Not causing "Explorer.exe Point ve been hoping someone could look at this I apparently caught a Trojan and can W2K: "ljjjjij.dll" causing "Explorer.exe - Entry Point Not Found" t get rid of it This trojan has screwed up my explorer file I m unable to get a display of my DeskTop blue screen only Reduced to using TaskMgr to run iexplore to access internet and navigate Ran explorer and received the following error explorer exe - Entry Point Not Found X The procedure entry point PrintWindow cound not be located in the dynamic link library USER dll OK Click to expand I can muddle around with TaskMgr but I no longer have my display for desktop or menu bar i e Start and such Had a security expert instruct me to rename my USER DLL to USER OLD which hosed my computer could not boot up Had to find my OS disk to get back in and rename the file back so I can get back to where I was Here is my HiJackThis log ----------------------------- Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT System svchost exe C WINNT system spoolsv exe C Program Files Cox Applications app SysSvcNt exe C Program Files Common Files Authentium AntiVirus dvpapi exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe C WINNT system nvsvc exe C PROGRA Dantz RETROS wdsvc exe C WINNT system MSTask exe C WINNT System tcpsvcs exe C WINNT System snmp exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exe C WINNT system inetsrv inetinfo exe C WINNT System msdtc exe C WINNT system taskmgr exe C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe C Documents and Settings Franc Desktop DOWNLOADS ANTI-VIRUS HIJACK-THIS HijackThis exe C WINNT System svchost exe C WINNT system svchost exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe not sure about the following I colored in blue R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C windows system blank htm R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C windows system blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO AuthPopupBHO cBHO - C F -D - D -BA - EE EDAC - C Program Files Cox Applications App popupbho dll O - BHO Yahoo IE Services Button - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C Program Files Yahoo Common yiesrvc dll O - BHO Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - A C -B - EDB- - D C EC - C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Toolbar ViewBarBHO dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Neopets - CD - F- -D -CACA AA - C PROGRA Neopets Toolbar Toolbar dll O - BHO no name - E BD - FD - C-A F- EBE D F - C WINNT system ljjjjij dll O - Toolbar Cox Popup Blocker - C A F - D - B- - C BCE - C Program Files Cox Applications App popupbho dll O - Toolbar Viewpoint Toolbar - F AD AA -D - - DAF- D B - C Program Files Common Files Viewpoint Toolbar Runtime IEViewBar dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run MSConfig C msconfig exe auto O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINNT system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM RunOnce BrandClearStubs RUNDLL IEDKCS DLL BrandCleanInstallStubs gt B E -C ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/w2k-ljjjjij-dll-causing-explorer-exe-entry-point-not-found.623347/
Relevancy 106.33%

Had posted this No Reposes at all So I m going to try here http forums techguy org windows-nt- -xp -w k-explorer-exe-entry-point html Was working fine then something went wrong COX Secuity Suite blurped it caught a Trojan didn t catch name It had blocked it but couldn t remove it Explorer will no longer load ERROR MESSAGE Explorer exe - Entry Point Not Found X The procedure entry point PrintWindow could not be lcoated in the dynamic link library "ljjjjij.dll" Found" Not "Explorer.exe Entry W2K: causing - Point USER dll OK Click to expand I looked in the subdir and found explorer exe was gone I pulled a copy of explorer exe from the old C now D but I get the same error message I can muddle around with TaskMgr but I no longer have my display for desktop or menu bar i e Start and such This is my most current HiJackThis Log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT W2K: "ljjjjij.dll" causing "Explorer.exe - Entry Point Not Found" MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT System svchost exe C WINNT system spoolsv exe C Program Files Cox Applications app SysSvcNt exe C Program Files Common Files Authentium AntiVirus dvpapi exe C Program Files Ahead InCD InCDsrv exe C WINNT system nvsvc exe C PROGRA Dantz RETROS wdsvc exe C WINNT system MSTask exe C WINNT System tcpsvcs exe C WINNT System snmp exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C WINNT System WBEM WinMgmt exe C WINNT system inetsrv inetinfo exe C WINNT System msdtc exe C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Manager ViewMgr exe C WINNT system taskmgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINNT system notepad exe C Documents and Settings Franc Desktop DOWNLOADS ANTI-VIRUS HIJACK-THIS HijackThis exe not sure about the following I colored in blue R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C windows system blank htm R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C windows system blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO AuthPopupBHO cBHO - C F -D - D -BA - EE EDAC - C Program Files Cox Applications App popupbho dll O - BHO Yahoo IE Services Button - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C Program Files Yahoo Common yiesrvc dll O - BHO Viewpoint Toolbar BHO - A C -B - EDB- - D C EC - C Program Files Viewpoint Viewpoint Toolbar ViewBarBHO dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Neopets - CD - F- -D -CACA AA - C PROGRA Neopets Toolbar Toolbar dll won t delete O - BHO no name - E BD - FD - C-A F- EBE D F - C WINNT system ljjjjij dll O - Toolbar Cox Popup Blocker - C A F - D - B- - C BCE - C Program Files Cox Applications App popupbho dll O - Toolbar Viewpoint Toolbar - F AD AA -D - - DAF- D B - C Program Files Common Files Viewpoint Toolbar Runtime IEViewBar dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run MSConfig C msconfig exe auto O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINNT system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM RunOnce BrandClearStubs RUNDLL IEDKCS DLL BrandCleanInstallStubs gt B E -C CC- D - - A C FF MICROS O - HKLM RunOnce RunOnceEx rundll exe C WINNT system iernonce dll RunOnceExProcess O - HKL... Read more

A:W2K: "ljjjjij.dll" causing "Explorer.exe - Entry Point Not Found"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/w2k-ljjjjij-dll-causing-explorer-exe-entry-point-not-found.625980/
Relevancy 106.02%

Window quot pauses quot on shut down then this quot szchostc quot Message window pops up Then another window window Window on down this then "szchostc" shut "pauses" up 98 pops a few minutes later quot End task quot quot Continue quot or quot Cancel quot box Window 98 "pauses" on shut down then this "szchostc" window pops up pops up When I push end task windows then will shut down It is linked to the lt sync eye crypt dll certget name string A gt because this will come up if i push the buttons to much to shut my PC Window 98 "pauses" on shut down then this "szchostc" window pops up downand the ram hits bottom I don t know what to do Microsoft support quot SUCKS quot I visted this quot trojan quot web site that link me to quot Szchostc quot I downloaded their zip Window 98 "pauses" on shut down then this "szchostc" window pops up file and I tried to extract the bad files but it didn t seem to work They had a notepad work sheet that was way over my head with PC jagon Please feel free to e-mail me with any help this problem is working my nerves Chainsaw nbsp

A:Window 98 "pauses" on shut down then this "szchostc" window pops up

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/window-98-pauses-on-shut-down-then-this-szchostc-window-pops-up.221153/
Relevancy 106.02%

Using the Windows Classic theme, can the 'All Programs' & 'Search' (which is useless) be completely removed from the Start Menu?
I'm talking about the entry All Programs bar and the Search entry, or can the useless MS Search be replaced with one of the many substitutes?

I do not mean the Search on the right pane.

I do use "all programs auto expander" to solve the annoyance of always clicking on the All programs to get the folders to show, but it would be superior to also get rid of that line all together. Or is this another futile request as it is to get rid of that equally useless Explorer bar??

A:Can the "All Programs/Back" & "Search" entries be removed?

The search bar is so very useful in 7, but to each his own. Try this:

Start> In search box (ironic, huh?) type Turn Windows Features On or Off> When the list loads, uncheck Windows Search> OK

For All Programs, this also applies to 7

Start Menu All Programs List - Enable or Disable

A Guy

P.S. Have you looked into Classic Shell ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/325497-can-all-programs-back-search-entries-removed.html
Relevancy 106.02%

here a stumper for me. . . maybe one of you knows how to fix it...

when in my computer, if i double click on any of the drives, it opens up a search window instead of opening the folder! its sooo annoying. I have to right click and select 'open' every time.

if i right click, the menu opens there and 'search' is on the top in bold instead of 'open'.

i dont know how i messed it up, but if you know how to change the default action.
PLEASE HELP!!!

thanks in advance for any help

-kio

SOLVED THANK YOU THANK YOU!

A:default action "search" instead of "open"?! (in my computer)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-action-search-instead-of-open-in-my-computer.643863/
Relevancy 106.02%

This afternoon all of a sudden I couldn t log into Outlook Gmail enter an address in IE or use Google Whenever I entered a quot r Keyboard log "Search." use into or bringing up and IE Solved: e-mail Can't "Run" quot the quot Run quot box would appear and whenever I entered an quot e quot Solved: Keyboard bringing up "Run" and "Search." Can't log into e-mail or use IE the search box would appear Most of the letters worked OK but a lot of them brought up something else This has never happened before I tried using quot System Restore quot all the way back to but that did not help I have been running ESET NOD it s finished and although it hasn t found any virus infections it has located numerous errors opening files Then all of sudden the situation corrected itself and I was able to log into Outlook and Gmail and use Google Has anyone heard of this Solved: Keyboard bringing up "Run" and "Search." Can't log into e-mail or use IE l thought I would post this problem to see if there is anything I can do to correct the situation rather that hope that it corrects itself Thanks in advance for all suggestions comments nbsp

A:Solved: Keyboard bringing up "Run" and "Search." Can't log into e-mail or use IE

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-keyboard-bringing-up-run-and-search-cant-log-into-e-mail-or-use-ie.786549/
Relevancy 105.09%

quot dependency chain quot quot windows quot internet quot windows explorer quot At the time of this writing this search in Google will produce one result at best Am I searching the wrong things I have tried a couple handfuls of variants and "dependency 7" chain" internet "windows explorer" "windows I am coming up with zilch Though I am fairly well versed in Windows from working on other people's machines I decided to stick with good old XP because of one issue above "dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer" all else When I instructed my firewall to block Windows Explorer from accessing the Internet it completely cut me off from the Internet no ifs ands or buts My understanding of why this is happened leads me to believe the dependency chain for Internet access goes through Windows Explorer I have long had a habit of blocking my File Manager of choice access to the Internet because well it's a file manager Admittedly my one experience with Windows on my own machine was a retired student version of Server R but as soon as I found out that was the case I decided not to make the move to Windows and went back to my XP installation I believe I was using Sunbelt Personal Firewall at the time I now use PCTools Free Firewall Is this still the case with Windows Is there a workaround if it is I haven't tried to recreate this on another person's machine KronKyrios

A:"dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer"

Hi KronKyrios, welcome to 7F!

I did find some very old information that may shed some light:
http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?17198-explorer.exe-(W98)&p=58079#post58079

"Launch Browser Windows in a Separate Process" Setting Is Not Available in Internet Explorer 5.01 or Internet Explorer 5.5

You can go into Services and check:
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Network Connections
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Windows Management Instrumentation

R-click on each one, then Properties, then the Dependencies Tab.
You would have to cross check each one that is listed.

Here is a good list to help you: Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/206824-dependency-chain-windows-7-internet-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 105.09%

A friend's computer... total nightmare... she doesn't know much about computers, and it seems thoroughly messed up. Tried installing Windows Defender, and it couldn't find her "My Pictures" folder so it didn't install. So I looked under her My Documents folder. It's missing the My Pictures and My Music folders. Plus, the other folders that are there, such as My Videos, etc., their icons are not special, they look like ordinary folders.

Her computer's "Shared Documents" section looks fine, with all the usual folders with special icons, etc.

Any thoughts?
Computer: HP Pavilion dv1000

A:"My Pictures" and "My Music" folders are missing

Try a system restore to an earlier date before the problem started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-pictures-and-my-music-folders-are-missing.645748/
Relevancy 105.09%

Whenever I perform a "Save As..." or a "Save File" (e.g. with an email attachment), the pop-up save menu always defaults to NOT displaying the navigation pane(s) showing the existing folders/files in the target folder - see thumbnail below left.

To view the folder tree and folder/file list (see thumbnail below right), you have to click on the "Browse Folders" button at the bottom left.

Is there a registry hack or other setting that will reverse this setting for me?

P.S. This problem appears to occur when the application uses the standard Win7 explorer for the save - when using Photoshop, for example, it happily displays the folders and images etc.

A:How to default to "Browse Folders" on "Save as.."

Which version of Internet Explorer do you have? Is it 8, 9, or 10? I only have 8 and I didn't see any way of changing this in there and mine does not do what yours does, so I'm thinking that you have either 9 or 10. If you do, then I will install the version you have and take a look.

You see, this kind of thing can be changed in other browsers like Firefox, and it has been possible for as long as I can remember (several years).

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/296021-how-default-browse-folders-save.html
Relevancy 105.09%

Apologize in advance for what surely has been asked and answered before, but a quick search of this forum did not give me what I am looking for.

On my desktop are two folders, labeled images and styles, that I do not need to see. What setting must I change to make them disappear from the desktop (without impacting the functioning and appearance of my Windows installation?)

The content of styles is a file named lame.css and a sub-folder CVS with 7 files in it; the content of images is one .gif and two .png files and a sub-folder CVS with 7 files in it.

A:Get rid of "images", "styles" folders on desktop

Right click on them and check Hide.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/353231-get-rid-images-styles-folders-desktop.html
Relevancy 105.09%

My Windows folder has suddenly bloated by nearly 500 mb.

I find that a folder "Assembly" added 200 mb under "native Images" last week.

what is the function of these folders/files.

can they be simply removed?

thanks

OS is win Xp

A:folders "Assembly" and "native Images"

The 'assembly' folder is for .net framework, as is the Native Images.
Assembly Cache Viewer (Shfusion.dll)

From MSDN; "Native Image Cache is a special area in GAC (Global Assembly Cache)".

It would say it would be a bad idea to move the folder. You may have had a .Net Framework update

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/folders-assembly-and-native-images-711865.html
Relevancy 105.09%

Hi! I have XP and a question. In Favorites, the icons that are next to the names, have all switched from their original icon pictures, to either the icon for IE, or to a plain Folder. I did not change these and liked it when I could easily distinguish each item (link...whatever they are called), by its icon. Now they all look the same, more or less. Can anybody tell me why this icon switch occured? And more importantly, how to get these icons back to how they looked before, with the individual icons? And...how to get them to stay that way and not be changed again. Thank you...sure don't know how I managed to do this one... ...your help is very appreciated!! parrotplay

A:Why did my XP "Favorites" icons change to "IE" & Folders?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/why-did-my-xp-favorites-icons-change-to-ie-folders.223401/
Relevancy 104.47%

Hello,
I got this problem today. Normally when right clicking on the "explorer" icon it shows shortcuts of folders that I added as well as frequently visited folders.
But now it shows nothing but two options: "Windows explorer" and "detach the program".
I tried to move new folders in but nothing was changed.
Please, what is my problem? How could I solve it?
Thank you!

A:"Frequent" and "attached" disappear from Explorer Icon

Problem solved!

Jump Lists - Reset and Clear All Items

Delete everything in these two folders:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

And then you can make new shortcuts as you want!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/83738-frequent-attached-disappear-explorer-icon.html
Relevancy 104.47%

About one month ago a new problem surfaced Most times when I try to quot Save As quot a document and the application calls Windows Explorer for me to Browse where to save the file it hangs for upwards of seconds The Browse window appears but then I get a quot spinning circular cursor quot for - seconds until I can do anything This occurs in all applications from MSExcel through Internet Explorer The system never completely crashes but there is always this second lag now The lag also occurs when I try to open a document and to a less extent but sometimes when I simply open Windows Explorer Windows Explorer is inconsistent as to whether it will give me a lag sometimes it does work fine I have previously tried posting in the malware forum I had hangs "save Explorer "open" or when as" Windows picked something up they found and cleaned it out but that seems Windows Explorer hangs when "save as" or "open" to have been completely unrelated to this as it was a virus Windows Explorer hangs when "save as" or "open" redirecting my Google searches Can anyone help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-hangs-when-save-as-or-open.993583/
Relevancy 104.47%

When attempting to browse folders using Explorer opened from Start Menu Or left click on start button Explorer will allow click on quot - quot to close paths Solved: does Computer" "File hangs, "My Explorer" not? but hangs with hour glass if any attempt is made to expand any path or open any file Explorer remains in this state until Solved: "File Explorer" hangs, "My Computer" does not? closed at which time Windows asks if I wish to report the problem to Microsoft If I use the quot My Computer quot icon on the desktop to browse all actions including access to networked resources work perfectly Can anyone please explain the difference between the two file browsing utilities and offer an explanation of Solved: "File Explorer" hangs, "My Computer" does not? the above My system is AMD GB Ram Xp Pro with all service packs and updates I am on a wired network with fixed IP addresses Other network components are Old Dual P with GB Ram running Windows Explorer on this machine has no problems including access to networked resources Buffalo TB Link Station Wire ADSL router and HP LaserJet printer nbsp

Relevancy 104.47%

Hi I m a new-commer and have been following this thread avidly and taking everyone s advice as I too have identicle problem to Chaz and other bloke i e my PC XP is open taking "My ages XP and to "Explorer" Computer" very slow shows torch when you open quot My Computer quot XP "My Computer" and "Explorer" taking ages to open for secs and when I use Explorer takes ages to find a web address so I m using Firefox which is fine Been bothering me for months tried RWnewson s registry and didn t work i don t have Created shortcut direct to C drive to bypass quot My Computer quot delay however while this works PC is becoming worse as when I move any files from one folder to another within the C drive the PC can t cope and stops responding HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer Advanc ed quot NoNetCrawling quot dword anyway My computer is not part of a home network nor does it say searching when I open My computer This did all start when I installed software for new digital camera and webcam Uninstalled cameras but still runs slow Bugger Help Tried registry cleaner and various virus killers There is nothing threatening Interestingly when I end process for sychost exe everything works fine but then Windows closes down in seconds PLEASE HELP You all seem interested in Hyjack this report so here is mine Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS System DRIVERS CDANTSRV EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C Program Files Thomson SpeedTouch USB Dragdiag exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mm tray exe C Documents and Settings DELL Application Data Spyware Doctor swdoctor exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www wanadoo co uk iesearch default htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www wanadoo co uk R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer Provided By Wanadoo O - BHO PCTools Site Guard - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - C DOCUME DELL APPLIC SPYWAR tools iesdsg dll O - BHO PCTools Browser Monitor - B A D D- - C -A - DF C AC - C DOCUME DELL APPLIC SPYWAR tools iesdpb dll O - Toolbar Wanadoo - B D- FD- -B C- A F EE - C WINDOWS system WSBar dll O - HKLM Run SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics quot C Program Files Thomson SpeedTouch USB Dragdiag exe quot icon O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run MMTray quot C Program Files Musicmatch Musicmatch Jukebox mm tray exe quot O - HKCU Run Spyware Doctor quot C Documents and Settings DELL Application Data Spyware Doctor swdoctor exe quot Q O - Extra context menu item Search with Wanadoo - res C WINDOWS system WSBar dll VSearch htm O - Extra button Spyware Doctor - D D A- - D -A A - C B E E - C DOCUME DELL APPLIC SPYWAR tools iesdpb dll O - HKLM System CCS Services Tcpip B - BDC- D -A - F C F AB NameServer nbsp

A:XP "My Computer" and "Explorer" taking ages to open

assuming you ran spyware and adaware cleanups, i would suggest reinstalling windows..... Windows (every version) will eventually slow down and not respond, act very unstable, not cooperate, and eventually it will commit suicide and give you major blue screens. then the computer has problems booting... a reinstall (a fresh reinstall preferebly) would probably fix it.....

could you post your system specs? that may help a little bit...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-my-computer-and-explorer-taking-ages-to-open.411678/
Relevancy 104.47%

Hello, nice peoples that provide so many fixes to make Windows suck less.

I've been looking for hours, but the terms are so general I can't find anything. When I open up Windows Explorer, the "Computer", my profile folder, and the Recycle Bin all appear under "Desktop". Which makes finding things a pain in the butt.

Is there any way to set those items as their own icons, outside of Desktop, and remove them from under Desktop? Basically, I want to see this:

-Computer
└C:\
└Folder
└Folder
└...
└D:\

-Desktop
└Folder
└...

-senselocke
└Downloads
└Favorites
└...

-Recycle Bin

I know you guys have found a ton of tweaks for Windows 7, but this one has bugged me for a while now. Has anyone found a way to get something sort of like that?

A:Move "Computer" and "[username]" out from under Desktop in Explorer?

Hello Senselocke,

You could use the tutorial below to add the User Folder (ex: senselocke) as a separate group in the navigation pane.User Folder - Add or Remove from Navigation Pane
You could use the tutorial below to add the Recycle Bin as a separate group in the navigation pane.Recycle Bin - Add or Remove from Navigation Pane
You might also see if unchecking the Show all folders option in the navigation pane may help get you closer.

Hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/178441-move-computer-username-out-under-desktop-explorer.html
Relevancy 104.47%

Looking for some help. My wife's toshiba satellite laptop takes forever searching when you try to access My Computer or Windows Explorer. This happens from the desktop icon or thru the start menu. It seems to be searching for something that isn't there.

She is running XP Home OEM edition. Version 2002. computer has Celeron M processor 1.2 GB of ram. Being used for surfing, digital camera picture downloading, itunes, MS Office stuff. there is alot of Toshiba stuff in the add/delete list. not sure what is necessary and what isn't.

Thanks.

PS checked MS database. it said to go into Adminstrator services and stop WIA. I checked this and it is already stopped on this computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/delays-finding-my-computer-and-windows-explorer.638589/
Relevancy 104.47%

Today I tried to burn a disk of mp3 files as I've done many times before. When I tried to copy the files from the C drive to the D (CD/DVD drive), Windows Explorer only would allow "Move," not "Copy". I tried to copy with CTRL+Right Click and that didn't work either - when I hover over the icon for the D drive it says "Move."

I was able to copy and burn a disk (in CD format) with Windows Media Player, and the CD drive works fine for playback. Also, when I plug in an external hard drive Windows Explorer allows copy of files to the external hard drive.

It's only when I try to copy files to the CD drive that I encounter this problem.

No other recent changes have been made to the computer.

Any idea, and thanks very much!

A:Windows Explorer only allows "Move", not "Copy" to CD/DVD drive

try selecting the files--then right click and select 'SEND TO' CD/DVD--it shouldn't be possible to 'copy' to a blank CD/DVD as it will be unformatted.

'send to' the choose burn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/258262-windows-explorer-only-allows-move-not-copy-cd-dvd-drive.html
Relevancy 104.47%

Hi Looking for insight advice re KB According to Infoworld it was quot Optional quot in May but I was not offered it then This KB3054476 "Important"/"Recommended"/"Optional" offered as week it was offered as quot Important quot and quot Recommended quot but only for one of my Win boxes I have read the MS KB article as well as THIS FORUM THREAD the latter of which includes a report of a BSOD due to this particular update However there isn't much out on the web about it And most of the discussion about it is overly technical for me And I am confused as to why it was previously offered as quot Optional quot but now is quot Important quot KB3054476 offered as "Important"/"Recommended"/"Optional" or quot Recommended quot I don't think I quot need quot it as I have no webcam on this box And I don't like KB3054476 offered as "Important"/"Recommended"/"Optional" to tempt fate by fixing things that are not broken So questions Is it safe to install Is it really necessary important Or would I be OK to hide it Thanks very much in advance

A:KB3054476 offered as "Important"/"Recommended"/"Optional"

The status of updates changes with circumstances.
If an update isn't relevant, it won't be offered at all.
If however it's relevant but the related software is not apparently in use, it may be 'optional' - and gravitate to 'Recommended' or 'Important' if the related software is in use.
It can also be promoted through the hierarchy by MS depending on feedback through WU and error-trapped feedback.

If you have (and use) a webcam, then it's probably best to install the update.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/372782-kb3054476-offered-important-recommended-optional.html
Relevancy 104.47%

OK As I said I am new Hope this info is the way you need it MANY MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE TIME amp HELP Check out the following HHEELLLPPP Logfile of HijackThis / THREAD "Context3.kanoodle" "xlime", "xads", NEW v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer NEW THREAD / "xads", "xlime", "Context3.kanoodle" v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system logonui exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C PROGRA mcafee com vso mcvsshld exe C WINDOWS System Promon exe c program files mcafee com agent mcagent exe c progra mcafee com vso mcvsescn exe C Program Files interMute AdSubtract AdSub exe C PROGRA VCOM Fix-It mxtask exe c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcvsrte exe C WINDOWS System NMSSvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System MsPMSPSv exe C Program Files McAfee com VSO mcshield exe C PROGRA VCOM Fix-It mxtask exe C WINDOWS System wuauclt exe C Documents and Settings Frank M Gazzo Local Settings Temp Temporary Directory for hijackthis zip HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dellnet com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www dellnet com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch http websearch drsnsrch com sidesearch cgi id R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default websearch drsnsrch com q cgi q R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http localhost O - BHO MultiMPPObj Class - EB - - -B -FBD D B FEA - C WINDOWS multimpp dll O - BHO Band Class - F A A- C - -A - E DC AB E - no file O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar McAfee VirusScan - BA B -B - c -B - F F - c progra mcafee com vso mcvsshl dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar no name - CDE A D-A - -BF -E B C F EB - no file O - Toolbar AdSubtract Toolbar - F AABDD- - e a- B - AC A B - C WINDOWS System adsubtb dll O - HKLM Run VSOCheckTask quot c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcmnhdlr exe quot checktask O - HKLM Run VirusScan Online quot c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcvsshld exe quot O - HKLM Run Promon exe Promon exe O - HKLM Run Microsoft Works Update Detection C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe O - HKLM Run MCUpdateExe C PROGRA McAfee com Agent mcupdate exe O - HKLM Run MCAgentExe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mcagent exe O - Startup AdSubtract lnk C Program Files interMute AdSubtract AdSub exe O - Global Startup Microsoft Find Fast lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office FINDFAST EXE O - Extra context menu item amp Google Search - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmsearch html O - Extra context menu item AdSubtract Bypass Site - res C Program Files interMute AdSubtract AdSub exe O - Extra context menu item AdSubtract Cloak Image - res C Program Files interMute AdSubtract A... Read more

A:NEW THREAD / "xads", "xlime", "Context3.kanoodle"

hi

how to create a folder ?

right click anywhere in your desktop
click new,a tab opens ,click folder ,name it hjtantivirus .

download again hijackthis and install it in the new created folder .

your hjt is here now
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank M. Gazzo\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 1 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

it will not work properly if it stays there .

and don t create a new thread ,keep only one thread .this one ,now .

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/new-thread-xads-xlime-context3-kanoodle-23803.html
Relevancy 104.47%

I tried to associate the file extension .txt to a new editor program
with the well known cmdline programs ASSOC and FTYPE.

No, assigning them through WinExplorer menu does not work.
But this is another problem which should not discussed here.

When I type now one of the following alternative commands at the CommandPrompt then Win7 returns me something like:

assoc .txt=txtfile

"Access denied"
The following error occurs: .txt"

or

ftype txtfile=D:\notepad++\notepad++.exe "%%1"

"Access denied"
The following error occurs: txtfile"

Why?

The command above work fine under WinXP

Peter

A:"access denied" when using "assoc" and "ftype" from cmdline?

Question:

Did you run cmd.exe with administrative previlliges?
Elevated Command Prompt

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/101442-access-denied-when-using-assoc-ftype-cmdline.html
Relevancy 104.47%

Ok, so basically, whenever I turn the computer on, 3 error messages appear:

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee.exe

- A virtual driver failed to inicialize DLL. Chose close to end the program. H:/Windows/system32/code/pRee1.exe

- Error loading H:/Archiv~/GBPLUG~/gbiehcef.dll. Couldn't find specific module.

(sorry if some terms are incorrect, my computer is in Spanish, to I tried to translate as best as possible)

Please help me solve this terrible problem, it is really getting me on my nerves! (oh, and if this helps, I've recently donwloaded this so called "Limewire acceleration", and whenever I ran the setup, it didn't work. I don't really remember the name of the website I downloaded it from, sorry...)

A:Can't Open "My Documents", "Trash" or other files in "My Computer"!?

Hi and Welcome to the forum

I am almost certain that you have malware problems. Most like caused by you doing file sharing/ P2P - Limewire.

Suggest that you go here and follow the directions:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...oval-help.html

Please be advised that the malware people are very busy and it could take a couple days to assist you.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-open-my-documents-trash-or-other-files-in-my-computer-288056.html
Relevancy 104.47%

I thought I was computer savvy until this problem came up When I double click my computer recycle bin control panel etc the hourglass comes up for a few seconds goes off and nothing else No error messages or anything just nothing I have viewed a few of the threads covering this and a common link was the hijack this result I have posted that here and really hope that someone can help me with this I have run SpyBotSD and adaware I have run mutiple virus scans I did an SFC and the final thing bin", I "control computer" "my "recycle open cannot panel" etc... was to repair windows using the original disk none of which has help I am running Window XP w SP Any other suggestions would be certainly appreciated Hope to here from someone soon MTCS out Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C PROGRA I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... TDSTEL ENTERN app pppoeservice exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system wuauclt I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Apache Tomcat webapps Toolbox StatusClient StatusClient exe C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C WINDOWS BCMSMMSG exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc... Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C PROGRA DEFEND DEFEND PopUpKiller exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Javasoft JRE bin javaw exe C Documents and Settings Charlotte Hough Desktop HijackThis exe O - BHO HP Print Enhancer - C E- - -BF - C - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp printenhancer dll O - BHO HP Print Clips - F -DC - -A C- F D C - C Program Files HP Smart Web Printing hpswp framework dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Program Files Real RealPlayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO IE PopUp-Killer Neikeisoft - E E F - C - D - D- - C PROGRA DEFEND DEFEND PopUp dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run StatusClient C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox Apache Tomcat webapps Toolbox StatusClient StatusClient exe auto O - HKLM Run TomcatStartup C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Toolbox hpbpsttp exe O - HKLM Run OpwareSE quot C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe quot O - HKLM Run REGSHAVE C Program Files REGSHAVE REGSHAVE EXE AUTORUN O - HKLM Run vptray C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe O - HKLM Run BCMSMMSG BCMSMMSG exe O - HKLM Run Adobe Photo Downloader quot C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition Apps apdproxy exe quot O - HKLM Run HP Software Update C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKCU Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C Program Files Spybot - Search amp... Read more

A:I cannot open "my computer" "control panel" "recycle bin", etc...

You may want to reinstall the operating system.

Backupthe files that are importantto you before you reinstall.

The "New" installation will overwrite the current one

If you do not format your hard drive before the reinstall the installation should not harm your files (That's why I suggest backingup your files) and will speed up the installation process.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-open-my-computer-control-panel-recycle-bin-etc.717788/
Relevancy 104.47%

At Major-Geeks,no matter which option I decide to choose,(SAVE or DOWNLOAD),I always get what program would you like to open this with.I tried NOTEPAD and it was to small and I tried Wordpad and all I got was a bunch of secret inscriptions.Please can someone tell me how to down load this program and install it.Windows 98SE. Thanks..........Robert

A:How do I install"Hi-Jack This",I keep getting "OPEN WITH" window.

this belongs in Security

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-install-hi-jack-this-i-keep-getting-open-with-window.290636/
Relevancy 104.47%

I have a HP 5650 deskjet printer that has been working fine up until I installed Window Washer!! I think it might have something to do with the PlugnPlay features...(unfortunately I'm a little new to this!!)
I probably should not have done this but, I uninstalled the program and then tried reinstalling it with NO SUCH LUCK!!
I get an "INSTALLATION ERROR" at the final stage of the installation!!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

A:"PRINTER"/"WINDOW WASHER" PROBLEM

Sorry, I may have been a little UNCLEAR!!
I uninstalled then tried to reinstall the HP software to no avail!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/printer-window-washer-problem.252304/
Relevancy 104.47%

First things first thanks to all who can help I need to programmatically make some adjustments to the Internet Explorer security settings Most of these settings I have found but there are a few I have not been able to get a clear exact location for in the registry I will be using for "First "Always and "Accept" and Allow setting registry value the cookies" Session for Party Cookies" Need option EXACT location of a BAT file to make the adjustments on PCs Here is what I am looking for Under the quot Internet nbsp Properties quot found Need EXACT location and value of registry setting for "Always Allow Session cookies" and the "Accept" option for "First Party Cookies" in control panel under the quot Privacy quot tab there is an quot Advanced quot option button When I click on it I get an quot Advance Privacy Settings quot options box On it are several settings The first setting quot Override automatic cookie handling quot needs to be checked in order to access the other options I can do that by adjusting the DWord value of quot PrivacyAdvanced quot under the quot Internet Settings quot key in the registry quot HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet settings quot to be specific What I have not been able to find are the registry entries for the quot First-party Cookies quot quot Accept Block or Prompt quot options the quot Third-party Cookies quot quot Accept Block or Prompt quot options and the quot Always allow session cookies quot check box Please see picture below I have seen references to the following settings as being where those options exist but nothing that explains what each byte bit controls so I don't know if or where in these settings I will find the control for the things I need to adjust I don't want to blindly accept some code someone says includes the settings I need I need to know exactly what to do to change ONLY the things I am looking for span span span HKEY CURRENT USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet span span Settings span span Zones span span span span span span quot AEBA FA- A- A - D-B C quot span span span span hex span span span span a span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span c span span span span a span span span span f span span span span span span span span span span span span span span f span span span span e span span span span a span span span span span span span span e span span span span b span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span a span span span span span span span span a span span span span e span span span span c span span span span span span span span d span span span span span span span span b span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span quot A A C - EB - -A A - C F quot span span span span hex span span span span a span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span c span span span span a span span span span f span span span span span span span span span span span span span span f span span span span e span span span span a span span span span span span span span e span span span span b span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span a span span span span span span span span span span span span e span span span span c span span span span span span span span d span span span span span span span span b span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span span Any help finding those settings will be greatly appreciated Currently I am using Win Ent x and IE But I also need to know how to ... Read more

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/41b75117-44ba-4a25-b210-41d72920cafc/need-exact-location-and-value-of-registry-setting-for-quotalways-allow-session-cookiesquot-and?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 104.16%

Hi there,

I think the title is self-explanatory. I have installed the Google search provider from the official Google webpage (Make Google your Default Search Engine) on IE 8 and noticed that it does not suggest as I type. I opened "Manage Search Providers" and see "Not Available" besides "Search suggestions".

Any help on this?

Thanks!

A:Cannot enable "Search suggestions" in "Google Search Provider"

At the bottom of the Manage Add-Ons page you will see, "Learn more about search engine preferences" click on that.

Scroll down to, and click on "To turn search suggestions on or off" it will lay it out for you there.

Post back if you need more clarification.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/203570-cannot-enable-search-suggestions-google-search-provider.html
Relevancy 103.23%

This is a problem that has bugged me for a long time: any time I want to save a file, in any application EXCEPT Word and Excel, the list of folders in the "Save as.." window is in chronological order instead of alphabetical order. I can always make the order alphabetical by right clicking in the window, and then clicking on "Arrange Icons by > Name."

This isn't much help however, since when I close the application and open it again, the list will appear in chronological order again (newest folder created will appear first). This problem does NOT occur in Windows Explorer

How do I get the folders to appear in alphabetical order? Does anyone else have this problem?

A:How to make folders in "Save as" window appear in alphabetical order?

Could this be what you're looking for? http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/786/ or maybe this http://www.winguides.com/forums/show...d&sb= 1&part=.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-make-folders-in-save-as-window-appear-in-alphabetical-order-95597.html
Relevancy 103.23%

XP Home SP I am trying to help a friend History The computer booted only to wallpaper Before the wallpaper appeared a notice with a "open" by Solved: "search" replace title bar of userinit exe - corrupt C windows explorer exe is corrupt or unreadable The only way I could interact in a very limited way with Windows was to bring up the Solved: "open" replace by "search" task manager using ctrl alt del keystroke combination I ran sfc scannow No success I booted to the recovery console amp ran chkdsk r implies p amp f Then BSOD problem c a with Ran chkdsk r problem with c a Solved: "open" replace by "search" at which point I copied explorer exe and winlogon exe from my XP Home SP computer to flash drive removed the HDD from my friend s computer copied explorer exe to C windows amp copied winlogon exe to C windows system NOW the desktop wallpaper icons amp taskbar appear Hurrah But when I try to open the desktop folder quot My Documents quot Windows search utility appears When I right click on a desktop icon instead of seeing quot open quot or quot explorer quot I see quot search quot When I try to open quot My Computer quot from the start menu Windows search utility appears start gt run type explorer exe brings up Windows Explorer so I can explore view files that way I am looking forward to your assistance RF nbsp

Relevancy 103.23%

Hi,

I am running Windows 7, 64 bit.

This is the problem. When searching a folder, I am looking for all .cfg files. I can see at least 4 .cfg files in the folder, however, when I search *.cfg, it comes up with no results. I know this is not an error in Windows, and I feel as if I am overlooking something simple.

I see that .cfg files are tagged as "configuration" files and I assume Windows is trying to protect me. In reality, in this specific folder, these are broken files/un-completed download files from my download manager, Gigaget. I just want to remove these files in a specifc folder I have set up to house incoming downloads, so there's no risk of deleting anything important that my system would need.

Does anyone know how to rectify this dilemma.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Relevancy 103.23%

I recently acquired this menace but I am sure that it has made its rounds I followed the advice on a previous forum on this site that seemed to contain the same problem entitled quot Solved New HJT log - strange goings on quot I followed the advice given by flrman as noted on -Jul- PM I downloaded quot hijackthis more Web need Search"/"http://213.159.117.134/index.php" "Cool with help quot and ran the program I checked all of the boxes as recommended by flrman with the exception of just a few since my file did not contain them those not included in my hijackthis file were O - HKLM Run P P Networking C WINDOWS System P P Networking P P Networking exe AUTOSTART need more help with "Cool Web Search"/"http://213.159.117.134/index.php" O - HKLM Run WinTime C WINDOWS system wintime exe O - HKLM Run need more help with "Cool Web Search"/"http://213.159.117.134/index.php" Explorer C WINDOWS system explorer exe O - HKLM Run WinInit Win exe O - HKLM Run WinLogin win x exe O - Extra button MP download HKLM O - DPF BCB- D A- D -A B- DA DE RdxIE Class - http dc b b ip RdxIE cab After checking these and following all of the reboot directions I had thought I had fixed the problem as well but this morning when I logged on to the internet Cool Web Search once again came up and I still had http index php In addition to this problem I am no longer able to seen anything in my file folders in My Documents or My Computer Where did I go wrong and how do I fix it Here are the complete directions that I originally followed as given by flrman flrman -Jul- PM Run Hijack This again and put a check by these Close ALL windows except HijackThis and click quot Fix checked quot R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http index php R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http index php R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http index php R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page http index php R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page http index php O - HKLM Run P P Networking C WINDOWS System P P Networking P P Networking exe AUTOSTART O - HKLM Run WinTime C WINDOWS system wintime exe O - HKLM Run Explorer C WINDOWS system explorer exe O - HKLM Run WinInit Win exe O - HKLM Run WinLogin win x exe O - Extra button MP download HKLM O - Trusted Zone blazefind com O - Trusted Zone clickspring net O - Trusted Zone flingstone com O - Trusted Zone mt-download com O - Trusted Zone my-internet info O - Trusted Zone searchbarcash com O - Trusted Zone skoobidoo com O - Trusted Zone slotch com O - DPF BCB- D A- D -A B- DA DE RdxIE Class - http dc b b ip RdxIE cab Restart to safe mode How to start your computer in safe mode http service symantec com SUPPORT tsgeninfo nsf docid Because XP will not always show you hidden files and folders by default Go to Start gt Search and under quot More advanced search options quot Make sure there is a check by quot Search System Folders quot and quot Search hidden files and folders quot and quot Search system subfolders quot Next click on My Computer Go to Tools gt Folder Options Click on the View tab and make sure that quot Show hidden files and folders quot is checked Also uncheck quot Hide protected operating system files quot and quot Hide extensions for known file types quot Now click quot Apply to all folders quot Click quot Apply quot then quot OK quot Now find and delete these files C WINDOWS system wintime exe C WINDOWS system explorer exe Do not delete the explorer exe file that is in C WINDOWS system Do a file search for these files and delete them Win exe win x exe Let me know what folder you find them in please Delete this folder C WINDOWS System P P Networking Finally go to Control Panel gt Internet Options On the General tab under quot Temporary Internet Files quot Click quot Delete Files quot Put a check by quot Delete Offline Content quot and... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-more-help-with-cool-web-search-http-213-159-117-134-index-php.255719/
Relevancy 103.23%

Even though the tutorial on this forum says there should be a custom option, I don't seem to have it.

Any thoughts on how can I bring it back?

P.S. Does anyone know what that "winrt--{***}-" folder is?

A:"Custom" option missing from "Search again in"

Anyone? Is it the same on your machines too, or just me?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/40999-custom-option-missing-search-again.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Hi Guys, any ideas how to access my external hard drive [TOSHIBA MK3029GACE] device manager can see it but it does not appear in disc management.

I use this HDD perfectly in my car HDD player. But when I try to connect it to my Laptop, it does not show up in disk management.

Please check the attached screen shot..

Thanks for the help....

A:HDD shows in "Device Manager" but not in "DiskPart"or" Disk Management

Specs show that drive has a ATA-6 interface (P-ATA, or IDE). How are you connecting this drive to your laptop? Does the laptop have a PATA or SATA connection? Does it use an adapter?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/347111-hdd-shows-device-manager-but-not-diskpart-disk-management.html
Relevancy 101.99%

Hello everyone
I have this problem for more than 3 months for now...

The INSTRUCTION AT "0x00a96ce0"referenced memory at "000000000" couldn't be written".

That's always what i get when i restart my computer,just before screen goes dark.
I believe that it has to do something with Microsoft updates.The reason i believe this, is that i once reinstalled my PC and didn't have any problem until i didn't update my PC.
And i posted here that thinking my problem was solved but unfortunately i was wrong.

Please if you have any tips on this one let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/0x00a96ce0-referenced-memory-at-000000000-couldnt-be-written.662744/
Relevancy 101.99%

Everytime I type a letter, a whole spew of previouse search types drops down in a list. It's starting to get annoying, so is there a file where I can delete all the previouse searches?

cheers

A:"search for files folders" how do you delete the annoying file list?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/search-for-files-folders-how-do-you-delete-the-annoying-file-list.85949/
Relevancy 101.99%

And no smart-alec answers of quot well there s an option to change that quot I ve done it so here s my issue I own Folders in "same" Solved: to window, set opening just wiped and re-loaded XP Pro on my old Presario and I was attempting to manually change a few file types default icon and worked my way down to quot Folder quot I opened it and was dismayed to find that Solved: Folders opening in own window, set to "same" the option to change icon was gone I closed it out and opened up quot file folder quot which actually gave me the choice I saved it and went on my way About minutes later I typed into my address bar in my start bar My Documents My Downloads and it opened up a search window explorer search I was confused so I checked the advanced options of quot file folder quot again and noticed that under Actions it only had quot find quot and it wasn t bold as if it were the default action So I added open and specified explorer and set it as Solved: Folders opening in own window, set to "same" default as there wasn t one before and closed it I went to the address bar and pressed enter again and it opened my downloads so I didn t complain I then clicked on a folder and it opened in a new Solved: Folders opening in own window, set to "same" window Oops That wasn t supposed to happen I checked the folder options and it says quot open in same window quot So now I m confused I went back to quot folder quot and quot file folder quot and in both the action quot open quot was defaulted and opens in Explorer but here s the problem the tick-box quot Browse in same window quot is grayed out and not selected HELP It s extremely irritating as when they open they open in random places all around my screen not in any collated order one after the other Back and forward navigate within the same window as does quot up quot but any time I try to open a folder it takes me into a new window Any help would be MUCH appreciated Other notes that may affect - Shortly after this I used a program to change all the icons but this was an issue before that so I don t see how it would have affected it - I had accidentally pressed quot Apply to All Folders quot under the quot view quot tab but I quickly pressed quot Reset all folders quot after having pressed quot restore defaults quot - Under the General tab I have pressed quot Restore defaults quot and it s set to quot open in same window quot quot Show Common tasks in folders quot and quot double click to open quot Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Folders opening in own window, set to "same"

FIX: Open each folder in the same window
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/samewindow.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-folders-opening-in-own-window-set-to-same.643943/
Relevancy 101.99%

I would like to have the same view I get when right-clicking on the start menu and choosing explore to also occur whenever I click on a folder on my desktop or within a folder. I know that I can get this to occur by clicking on the "Folders" button on the standard toolbar of any window. But is there a way to save this view so that it come up everytime I open a window. Basically I'd like to have the "Folders" button permanently toggled.

By the way...using the "apply to all folders" option under folder options or the “Remember each folder’s view settings” option does not work for this.

Thanks.

Relevancy 101.99%

Hello everybody Let me first say that indexing is off on my machine for performance reasons so if this is the reason please say so - Previously searching using the search bar at the top of the windows screen would search as normal no folders, normal works not Windows Search Documents" "My for for matter which folder is open Now however all is fine except if I'm inside quot My Documents quot You type a name in the search field and nothing happens it's as if the field is blank It's not that it doesn't find a file it's that is simply doesn't even begin to search If I type the path for example C Users Username Documents it'll search there but if I open the quot Documents quot with Windows start menu the problem happens Searching for similar problems Windows Search works for normal folders, not for "My Documents" most have something related to indexing services or to restart or re-index but my indexing services is off whenever I install a new system it's one of the things I turn off alongside Windows Aero and it worked fine previously If anyone has a clue what this could be it started some weeks ago was perfectly fine previously no changes made to the system itself before or since that would be greatly appreciated Best Regards

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/393827-windows-search-works-normal-folders-not-my-documents.html
Relevancy 101.37%

Its shitting me off that it scans my HUGE backup folder (260gb) and because it is a backup, i get double entires from my search and maybe way longer than it should be taking.
So how would i remove my backup folder from the search?

A:How would i "hide" folders from windows search (vista)

Start>search (on right side of panel)>click on advanced search>open location. If your backup files are on a different drive, choose the one they aren't on. If not, 'choose search locations at the bottom of the list, expand the locations, and check the places you want to search.
Hope this helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-would-i-hide-folders-from-windows-search-vista.631998/
Relevancy 101.37%

Just in addition to a post I read on here I was also having EXPLORER crash when I was searching or going to the file types view via the control panel and was only affecting one user on the pc In the end it folders" Solved: "all crashes Search files and XP turned Solved: Search "all files and folders" crashes XP out updating Audible Manager to the current version sorted it along with Solved: Search "all files and folders" crashes XP a final CCleaner scan Had the current version on my logon which Solved: Search "all files and folders" crashes XP wasn t affected Don t know why but still it s something to try was on the old green coloured icon as opposed to the rainbow one came up access denied when I tried to open it and uninstall it so I just downloaded the installer again and got it to update Apologies if this isn t where I should post this but seeing how the other post was closed now I thought the least I could do was confirm it s an option and say thanks for the heads up via this site nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-search-all-files-and-folders-crashes-xp.991984/