Windows Support Forum

Changing Boot Drives

Q: Changing Boot Drives

So I installed a second Hard drive this weekend. And I want to create a new partition on the new hard drive, which will hold my boot files. So I want a partition of my second hard drive to be my main boot device. (Like 20gb)

Then I?m going to combine my first hard drive, and the remaining space left into 1 partition.

My Local disk has my Boot, Page file, and Crash dump. I want to move this to my new partition. (Second HD)

I tried moving the entire windows file in my local disk to the second hard drive, half way through it wouldn?t allow me to move all of the files.

How do I do this without re-installing windows?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-boot-drives.200248/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Changing Boot Drives

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 64.93%

I was running windows on an IDE hard drive and bought a new SATA and installed a fresh copy of windows on it, now having a dual boot with the old installation on the IDE. I've been running on the SATA drive for a few months now and I want to remove the IDE drive from my system but when I disconnect it and reboot I get a message that tells me NTLDR is missing so I am assuming that the boot record is on the IDE drive. How can I make the SATA drive my main boot drive?

A:Changing boot drives

You may have some problems even after fix,unless you were getting your second install to recognize itself as C like the first install.

Use this guide and see what happens.
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/483/xp_repair_fix_master_boot_record_recovery_console/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-boot-drives.858367/
Relevancy 49.02%

Can anyone tell me how come I can't change drives in DOS. I know it should be a simple matter of typing in the drive I want, d: , but it keeps saying not a valid something or other. Any help

Relevancy 49.02%

My Pc is set up as follows - drives D to H are card slots etc , drive I is DVD player , drive J is DVD RW , is it possible to change drive letters so that J becomes D & I becomes E .
Thanks .

Relevancy 49.02%

My daughter sent a computer for my grandson to have, it has 3 drives on it, C D and E. D is the backup drive, and E is a installed drive. Everything is going into the C drive which is going to run out of space soon while the E drive has 43 gigs on it. How do you make the computer put everything that I install on the E drive. Everything so far is going to the C drive. I am using Windows XP on a laptop. There was no indication when I installed a few things as to what drive I want it sent to. Any help would be appreciated.

Relevancy 49.02%

My mom has a Dell Dimension 3000. She's giving it to me and just using her laptop. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 that I would like to give to my brother-in-law. Only problem is that the 3000 doesn't have a dvd burner and the 4600 does. And I need the dvd burner. Is it possible to just switch the cd/cdrw and dvd/dvdrw drives between the computers? The 3000 has almost double the hard drive space that the 4600 does that's why I want to switch. They both have XP and 512 RAM. The 4600 is about 4 years old (and has had problems since I bought the stupid thing) and the 3000 is about 2 or 3 years old.

Relevancy 48.59%

Hi I m new here am hoping to learn lots I just bought a newer thinkpad because my old one has a hard drive amp power source quot going quot and the tech said it wouldn t be worth it to fix Well I Drives? Changing Hard ve been looking at buying a new hard drive for my new thinkpad as its only GB the old one was GB It is much slower GRRR My thought is to Changing Hard Drives? buy a larger Changing Hard Drives? hard drive laptop size and switch the hard drive out of the new one put the good GB in the old thinkpad amp fix power source resell Anyway I also would like to put a larger hard drive into my desk-top What do I need to know about this Are there certain compatibility issues Things to look for To avoid Is it much MORE difficult then it sounds Or is this something you can learn by research I have added memory to my desk-top and taken it apart for cleaning Looking forward to finding out what you can tell me Thanks DebbyR nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

I have a HP PC computer with a SATA c: drive with Windows xp and I'd like to change that drive out with an old larger existing hard drive which also has Windows xp. Can I do this without damaging anything?

Relevancy 48.59%

I have bought Windows XP and installing it over WindowME. Everything has been fine with the exception that now my
Second hard drive has F, the CD-ROM has D, and the CD-RW
has E (However when try to use the CD-RW it does not recognize
it as a CR-RW but as a CD-ROM). Before installing XP the drives
were : Hard Drive C, Hard Drive D, CD-RW E, and CR-ROM M.

Tried to remove XP and received info that could not be uninstalled.

Under Win 98 it was simple to change letters of drives using
Divice Manager choosing the Plus sign next to the drive then
clicking properties and choosing the startletter and End letter
you desire. Is there any such way in XP?

Thanks so much and best regards. Ken

A:Changing letters of drives

Login as Administrator - go to Administrator Tools - select computer management - select disk management and in the right hand pane select the one you want to change - if one has a drive assigned that you want to use - move it up - say D: is now the CD-Rom - change it to H: or something out of the way and then change your F: to D: and then change the CD-Rom back to whatever you want it to have and the same for the CD-RW - I hope this helps - I have done it this way myself and found it very easy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-letters-of-drives.156793/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi, I have a desktop computer which just blew up and was using xp professional. I have aquired another desktop computer which is using xp home . I am trying to switch the hard drive from the old computer into the latest computer. I have transferred the hard drive to the latest computer but cannot get it to boot up. It tries to start but just goes rounds in circles. Any ideas how to rectify ?

A:changing hard drives

You cannot simply transfer a hard drive between computers, it would be much easier to acquire a Windows XP Pro CD and re-install it using the original COA on the machine you are putting it in.

It also is not technically legal either. The installation of Windows on a specific computer that uses the COA sticker on it is meant for that specific machine and is not supposed to be transferred.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drives.1057470/
Relevancy 48.59%

Is there an easy way to transfer all the info from one harddrive to another one? I want to replace my 2g unit with a 4g unit, but don't want to lose all the info on the old one. I am set up two use 2 hard drives, so I can have the 2g, and the 4g hooked up at the same time.

Relevancy 48.59%

Basically my problem is that when i installed windows 7 i installed it onto a 150gb hard drive. I soon realised that this was not large enough for my needs and was begining to run incredibly slowly. So i decided to upgrade to a Seagate Barracuda 1TB hard disk. I wanted to copy all of my file over to the new disk and keep the OS, i was told that cloning was the easiest way to do it, so i cloned my old disk. However, when i took out my old disk and booted up the computer i got the error message "NTDLR is missing". Please Help me

A:Changing Hard Drives

During the BIOS post splash screen, tap F8. This will bring you to the system recovery environment. Choose "Repair Your Computer".

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/106682-changing-hard-drives.html
Relevancy 48.59%

First, i need to know for sure which type of hard drive that i have. will it be on top of the hard drive itself? (EIDI or SATA) Second, i want to take the existing info and copy to the new drive, once purchased. is that something that can be done? i dont want to go out and buy Microsoft XP when i already have it on my system. i want to put a larger internal harddrive in, and i need the info so i dont mess it up. i am a little litterate when it comes to computer stuff, but no a savvy tech like you folks n here. thanks for the help.

The hard drive should state which interface it is on top but this can be easier identified by what cables are attached to it. IDE interface uses a "ribbon-like" cabling system that is wider while SATA uses a more condensed cable, typically red or black, and smaller connectors on the motherboard. In order to copy all of the data to the new drive you would need both drives installed in the system at once. If you have room for 2 drives, you wouldn't have to worry about your Windows installation; you could just move your personal stuff to the new, bigger drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drives.113123/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have a computer that the HD is starting to go bad. I am going down and buying a new hard drive but I need to know how can I pull everything off my old HD and put it on my new HD. Is there a simple way?

Relevancy 48.59%

I am not so slowly running out of disk space and thought I'd replace my current 40Gb WD drive with something much more spacious. Say maybe a 120 Gb drive. What I'd like to do is install the new drive then copy my entire 40 Gb drive over to the new one, disconnect the old one and run on the new one. Can that be done? How do you copy over a 40 G drive to a 120 and is there a potential for problems? Is there a tutorial anywhere that can lead me through this? I'm running WinXP Pro. Is there any software that will do this for me that isn't horribly expensive (free maybe)? Thanks for any help you might offer.
John

Most retail drives come with a disk that does the work for you. You set the new drive to slave and ghost the old one to it. Pretty simple and painless. If you buy an OEM drive you would need a 3rd party program to do it for you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drives.326479/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello,
I have recently installed a new motherboard, processor, more RAM and added another SATA hard drive (40Gig). The old drive (10Gig) will remain in the system for back up. How do I change the new drive (now designated as the E:drive) to be the C: drive in order to reinstall XP?
This computer does not see a lot of use but is very slow now even though the new widgets were installed.
Thanks.

Relevancy 48.16%

How do I do it? I've changed the drive letters for logical drives/hard drives before using partion magic and other programs like that, but how do I change the drive letters for my DVD-R and Zip drives? I used to know how to do it in Windows 98, but I'm using XP now and I don't know how. Any help is appreciated.

A:Changing the drive letter of my DVD-R and ZIP drives...

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management (local)

Right click on the disk drive in the lower panel, select "Change drive letter and Paths"

The drive will probably not show in the upper panel unless there is media in it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-the-drive-letter-of-my-dvd-r-and-zip-drives.275633/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi
At my workplace i have a H drive that i usually save my work to. I dont have administrator privileges on my computer so when i try to use the command prompt my screen looks like H:\> rather than C:\> . So my question is, is there a command where by i could change from H to C drive just like we do for changing directories? I tried to look for similar posts in the forum but couldnt find one so hopefully i am not reposting a previously replied question. Your replies are appreciated:)

A:Changing Between 'drives' Using Command Prompt

in command to change the drives you just need to type
C:

This will change the drive letter if you have access to it. If not then it will not allow you to select the drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/75076/changing-between-drives-using-command-prompt/
Relevancy 48.16%

I am looking to install a bigger drive in my desktop, i have a 80 in there now, but i have lots of things i would like to bring w/ me, like web address's, programs downloaded from internet, but mostly i would like to keep web address's and programs, like eraser, and those things, what about all the updates from microsoft, and my other sites, drivers and all, so if there was a site that answered all these and more, i wouldnt have to come back and ask every five minutes what about this and that.. thanks ron

using xp

A:is there a FAQ site for changing hard drives

'is there a FAQ site for changing hard drives '
I dont know.

The easiest way to move from a small hd to a larger one is to use an imaging programme like Ghost or True Image.
Programmes like these will move all your files & operating system to a new drive with no need to reinstall anything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-there-a-faq-site-for-changing-hard-drives.512404/
Relevancy 48.16%

I drives hard Vista Changing on have a laptop that was originally preinstalled with Changing hard drives on Vista XP I bought windows vista home premium upgrade and I have been using vista without any problems for the past few months Unfortunately it appears that my hard drive is starting to failue at least that is what vista is telling me and so I am trying to figure out how to do that I tried using norton ghost version vista compatible What I did is I bought a new hard drive and a usb adapter I used Norton ghost to copy the C drive over to this drive MBR and everything I then took out my old C Drive and then put in my new hard drive Unfortunately while the new hard drive appears to boot initially I get to the welcome screen then a message saying quot preparing your desktop quot and then a blank blue screen w o any error messages Okay what s weird is if I plug in my old C drive via tje USB ADAPTER then vista will see that USB drive and boot normally I can t count on this as a solution this drive appears to be failing So I went back to the drawing board My laptop has two hard drives I took out my old D drive and placed in my new hard drive I then asked Vista to do a clean install on this hard drive Everything appears to go well Okay I swap out my old failing c Drive and place in my newly installed vista installation Now it says Boot manager is missing If I plop in my old C drive all my problems go away It seems that vista is married to this drive and there does not appear to be a way to unmarry it any ideas as my hard drive i m sure will die soon thanks nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

I have a laptop that had ME on it, I had an accident and had to send it in to get a new motherboard. I got the motherboard ok, but they had installed XP Pro onto it, and now I want to erase and partition the hard drive for Win98 SE. I fdisk'd, but when I try to install 98 it tells me it cannot be installed in this system. I have talked to a technician and they tell me it needs to be partitioned, which i already did. Does anyone have any idea what to do?

Thanks....

A:Changing XP hard drives to Win98

Hello wizardwatch and welcome to TSG!

The problem is that win XP (and W2K) usually run on the NTFS system whereas Win 96/98/ME run on the FAT32 file system.

NTFS systems can see NTFS (obviously) files and FAT32 but FAT32 systems cannot see NTFS files. If a NTFS OS was on a HDD then the FAT32 partitioning and formatting process is going to have a hard time dealing with it.

I suggest you go HERE and HERE and read up about FAT32 vs NTFS systems.

* Links are courtesy of my good friend and ever resourceful linkmaster TW56

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-xp-hard-drives-to-win98.145271/
Relevancy 48.16%

CD Drives do not refresh after changing a disc. The system needs to have a re boot to see the replaced disc

A:CD Drives do not refresh after changing a disc

How about pressing F5 in the explorer window?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-drives-do-not-refresh-after-changing-a-disc.38674/
Relevancy 48.16%

So very recently I have run into quite an epidemic that is driving my crazy I am not an expert when it comes to computers so hopefully somebody here can help me out I rebooted my computer not too long ago The system gave me an option to boot in an earlier version of Windows or Windows I chose the earlier version as my networking card wasn t Windows or Vista supported So my computer booted into XP like usually I have it do This time however something unusual happened Now just note quickly that before the reboot one Changed After Changing Drives Still Reboot; of the few things I did was add another virutal drive to Daemon Tools Proceeding when I Drives Changed After Reboot; Still Changing had rebooted I had noticed that of my desktop icons were not displaying properly Fine I ll use TuneUp Utilities to repair the problem As I expected it didn t work Now when I check quot My Computer quot I have noticed that the virtual drives I had before reboot is gone and my alternate drive D where I store my large files is now E which I suppose is the reason for the icons not displaying properly Ok no problem I ll just change the shortcuts again and just deal with the fact D is now E and E is now D However when I launched Daemon Tools again I couldn t add a Virtual Drive again Just in case anyone was wondering I was trying to get a copy of Office I promise to Drives Changed After Reboot; Still Changing the good lord I did buy it but I Drives Changed After Reboot; Still Changing won t go into details Now the core that Windows is stored on is now on the P drive I thought it might be a virus but SuperAntiSpyware found no problems Everything s jumbled around and I do not know what the problem is I would reboot but I m afraid that another unexpected turn of events may occour If anyone has any advice or tips then I would GREATLY appreciate it Thanks Robert

A:Drives Changed After Reboot; Still Changing

I haven't used Daemon Tools but I have read that if it is set to "Secure mode" it can cause problems with drive letter assignments.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/211505/drives-changed-after-reboot;-still-changing/
Relevancy 48.16%

So I know that going into disk management allows me to change the letter assignments for hard drives and such, but there are no dvd-drives listed there. Where do I go in win7 to change the drive letters for my installed burners?

A:Changing the drive letter for DVD Drives?

mine are listed on the bottom pane, and if i right click i get the change drive letter path option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/111606-changing-drive-letter-dvd-drives.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi, I'm having problems with my Dell Inspiron 1525 (see thread: if you can help it would great! http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/1006561-major-peformance-issues.html)

After searching for the issue on google, I think it may be a faulty hard drive (seems to be a common fault).

If I bought a new hard drive, is there any way I can get my current operating system onto that drive?
Even if its blank, I can only find upgrade versions of windows to buy. But if my hard drive has no OS I can't upgrade it?

The other issue is the back of the laptop has faded so I cannot see the windows serial number.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Relevancy 48.16%

Is it possible to change the letter of a drive? Not a HDD, but a DVD-CD/RW drive.

A:RESOLVED: Changing A Drives Letter

Yes it is possible. Please follow these instructions:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
diskmgmt.msc
- Click OK
- That will open your Disk Management console. All you need to do is right click on the cd-rom drive and select 'Change drive letter and paths' then select and confirm the new letter and that should do it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/resolved-changing-a-drives-letter-138982.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi Everybody My hard drive tells me that its about to fails and it gives that screeching grinding noise I am about to go but a new one so that I can remove the one that is about to die I am thinking about using Norton Ghost to Clone my whole drive to the new drive before removing it however I am currently ME and Win k I want to keep and get rid of ME The PC came with it but I know If I clone everything it hard losing without Data Changing drives will transfer with it to the new drive what can I do I kinda want to start afresh but keep some data from the old hard drive ones on Win k Should I reinstall Win k Changing hard drives without losing Data on the new drive then Changing hard drives without losing Data set it to master and reistall Norton and Select the files I want to keep This is what I m thinking however I am worried that maybe since the PC came with ME If and on the new drive I won t have ME Some things might not work like my screen or other drives like CDRW FLoppy and DVD Can somebody help me with this am I on the right path or can somebody suggest a better way to do this I really hate ME and I d rather not have it Your help will be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Changing hard drives without losing Data

Hi mkuki, Welcome to TSG !!
You may need to find the drivers for your motherboard first. You can get AIDA32, install it and it should tell you. Go to the manufacturers web site and get any drivers it offers ( 4in1, USB, sound, etc.) You can get AIDA32 here: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
This is what I have done:
Since you have a rewriter and you want to start afresh, copy any files you have to CD. ( Are these files NTFS or FAT32)??

Go here and download the DOS 6.22 disk. Open it , put in floppy and everything will go to floppy.
Reboot and go to BIOS, set it to boot from floppy
Put in floppy, save changes and reboot. When you get dos prompt type in fdisk and hit enter
Follow the instructions and delete all the partitions.
Shutdown
Put new drive in as master remove old one. Boot to BIOS and select boot from CD
POut in 2000 cd and reboot follow prompts and you can partition the new drive through 2000 cd.
One question though:
If this ME was in when you bought pc ( HP, DELL, Compaq, ETC. )

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drives-without-losing-data.124701/
Relevancy 47.73%

I was messing around with my HDD partition and decided to rename my D drive to X Well everything went D:\ can't back drives, Changing to change letter smoothly but then Changing letter drives, can't change back to D:\ problems emerged When I turn on my laptop a bunch of applications send the error message quot No Disk quot It says quot There is no disk in Changing letter drives, can't change back to D:\ the drive Please insert a disk Changing letter drives, can't change back to D:\ into drive Device Harddisk DR quot I usually have to click a bunch of times before the error window stops popping up This is also happening with various applications I tried changing the disk letter back to D except I can't do that since the letter D is not given as an option for the new drive letter When I open up regedit and go to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM MountedDevices both DosDevices D and DosDevices X exist even though there is no partition named D on my laptop Is there a way to force change the drive letter back to D or perhaps another solution

A:Changing letter drives, can't change back to D:\

Hello Veliki, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if OPTION TWO in the tutorial below may be able to help.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/262920-changing-letter-drives-cant-change-back-d.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,

I have several Dell desktops (745, 755, GX260, T5500, Etc) all Win7 and Server 2008, that have factory hard drives; I want to make them removable drives. In the past

I have special ordered desktops with T-7 units from Dell.

Now, I need to make about 20 desktops removable drive desktops, any ideas, Dell says I can't really add a Dell sponsored caddy / cage.

My other issue is I have to add whole disk encryption to it, TrueCrypt is perfect.

I also have to add USB tape backup unit. Q: does anyone have an USB portable tape backup unit and encrypting the hard drive and tape?

Thanks

Mn19~

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-dell-desktops-to-removable-drives.195340/
Relevancy 47.73%

I recently upgraded the SSD in a Samsung Ultra Series 7, after making a recovery flash drive.  The machine loaded windows fine, and everything was going great until I had to install the old SSD to try and retrieve the key for Office 2010.

When I installed the old drive windows crashed every time it tried to boot up (don't have the exact error number in front of me at the moment).  I reinstalled the new drive and everything booted fine.

Any ideas?

A:Problems booting after changing hard drives.

Please post the error number.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/538218/problems-booting-after-changing-hard-drives/
Relevancy 47.73%

Can someone tell me if it is possible to swap the cables on my two hard drives to change the master drive into the slave drive & visa versa.
I have had problems with my broadband and despite various tries to correct it (even with help from this forum) the problem hasn't been rectified. I therefore need to do a complete clean install of my OS.
As I am doing this anyway, I thought it would be a good time to change my drives over. I currently have a 40gb master drive and an 80gb slave drive. I would like to have the 80gb as my main C:\ drive.
Is it possible to just change the cables over on the two drives to make them the opposite to what they are now, or is it more complicated than that?
I'm trying to avoid taking both drives out and changing them round if possible.

A:Solved: Changing master & slave drives

If the drives are both jumpered to Cable Select then switching the cables around will switch around the Master and Slave postions. If the drives are jumpered as Master and Slave then you need to change those jumpers.

Here's a diagram of how to change jumpers: http://www.pcguide.com/byop/byop_SettingHardDriveJumpers.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-changing-master-slave-drives.362239/
Relevancy 47.73%

I changed my disk drive letters on one of my operating system but i think that i made a mistake. because cannot start up again, as it freezes when the welcome sign shows up, (except this time it doesnt show the welcome sign it shows the windows xp sign. I have two windows xp operating systems and I'm now on other operating system but i was wandering if i can change it on this system. Any help?

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello all, my main machine Win 7 (connected via wire on my LAN) has 3 HDD, which I share out across my LAN with full permissions enabled.

I recently changed the password on my main machine and lost connectivity from my other machines (two laptops one desktop) I can see the shared drives on the network tree but when I try to connect it tells me I don't have permissions to access the drives.
My feeling is that this is due to the password change, when I originally connect to the networks shares from the other machines I was asked for a username & password, when suppled connection was granted. I did tick the remember password box at this stage.

How do I evoke the username & password dialog box again to re-authenticate with the new password?

Cheers

PatDee

A:Can't connect to shared drives after changing password

Hi, welcome to the forums

If you type credential into the start menu and click 'Credential Manager' you should be able to see ALL stored password details including shared network access passwords. From there you can either 'Remove' or 'Edit' the credential to fit the new criteria, in this case your password.

Hope it helps

OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/126341-cant-connect-shared-drives-after-changing-password.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Good morning,

I'm intending to buy my first SSD and to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

My current BIOS will allow me to set the ACHI option which I understand is required for SSD use. I've also read that changing this setting in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI will cause my current XP Pro OS to BSOD, that in itself is not a problem as I won't be using it again.

What I would like to know and to get some assurance about is what will changing that setting do to the SATA drives, also connected to the mobo (not USB), that I use purely as storage? Will they be OK? Will I lose access to them or will they be fine?

Any help gratefully accepted.

Ben

It's a mistype in the title, I know it's AHCI

A:What does changing to ACHI do, if anything, to purely storage drives

Hello ZBDMiller. Welcome to the forum.

Switching to AHCI will have no effect on your data drives. They will look and work exactly as they do now.

Switching modes only affects previously installed operating systems. It is a software problem, not anything to do with hardware or any physical change to the drive.

AHCI introduces some advanced connection features. The main one is just how the drive communicates with the controller - all behind-the-scenes stuff.

The one feature of AHCI that is noticeable to the user is the ability to "hot swap" drives. That is, connect or disconnect a drive while the PC is running.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/339922-what-does-changing-achi-do-if-anything-purely-storage-drives.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I run two GB Seagate hard drives each with three partitions on them I use C drive to put windows on D drive for my apps and E drive for music files pictures video etc Hard drives changing drive letters! On the second hard drive I skip the F drive in case I ever need to load another operating system on it and on G and H I mirror what s on my D and E drives for backup purposes I do this through a software sync program It s not a RAID setup Anyway about three weeks ago I was refomatting I do this alot because I m kind of a perfectionist and I want everything installed perfectly I also tend to mess with Hard drives changing drive letters! the registry a little to much because I like it clean and without errors but that s another topic But this time I was reformating it was right after I had to installed a new second hard drive and partition it I ll come back to why I mentioned that in a second During my last two Hard drives changing drive letters! reformats after I loaded Vista I went to my computer and noticed that some of the Drive letters had changed on both hard drives I can t remember exactly which letters changed to what but it was like my D drive I believe was now F and so on All in all three drives had changed or switched around drive letters The data was all still there on partitions C D and E but the letters were off I even checked in Windows Vista Disk Management and noticed the changes there too But I wasn t about to use the Disk Management tool to make any changes back to the right way For that I fired up Acronis Disk Director Suite and I was able to make things right I had to do it in a wierd way changing the drives first to X Y and Z and then back to D E and F Now everything is fine but I am wondering what and why this happened I even started to wonder whether it had something to do when I put the new second hard drive in because I made the first partiion in that a primary not logical Could this be the problem I did this only only because when I made it Logical it left about a MB piece of unpartitioned space that I couldn t get rid of I also noticed today when I was reformating again Yes I was doing it again that during my wipe of the C drive drive with the Acronis Drive Cleanser which I like to run first before putting the OS on to make for a nice clean install that it even had my drive letters mixed up So I aborted that process and went back to doublecheck in My Computer and Acronis Disk Director that everything was where it was supposed to be and everything was C D and E on hard disk and E F and H on Hard Disk But after seeing what the Acronis Drive cleanser showed me I got to wonder was I seeing the partitions and drives and drive letters as they really were and not quot fixed like they appeared in Windows Everything runs fine on my computer so I am not worried about this too much I just want to get a good answer as to what s really gone on nbsp

A:Hard drives changing drive letters!

Windows assigns drive letters every time you boot up, so if you continually make changes to partitions you are going to see different drive letters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drives-changing-drive-letters.655153/
Relevancy 46.87%

I am trying to replace my 8X cdrom drive with a 32X one. When I start up the computer with the 32 in place of the 8, I get the msg "Windows Protection Error - You must restart your computer.". I thought that this would be a plug n play install, but this has me thinking otherwise as the cpu boots up fine when I plugged the 8X back in. I am using Win 95. I have read some other strings with this error msg in them, but I am not sure if they relate to my problem or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

A:Problem changing cd-rom drives, Windows Protection Error

check in your config.sys and autoexec.bat files for any reference to loading cdrom drivers. It could be the old drive was using realmode drivers and the new one is conflicting. Also make sure the cdrom jumper is in the correct position.

If your in win95 you can go to start/run/type sysedit
Then go to the config.sys and autoexec.bat tabs and look for cdrom driver calls.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-changing-cd-rom-drives-windows-protection-error.45814/
Relevancy 46.87%

I changed the disk drives in my HP Pavilion 350Y.
Old Config.
Master Drive, partition 0 = FAT32, 7587 MB, system restore (D
partition 1 = NTFS, 33514 MB, system drive (C
Slave Drive, partition 0 = NTFS, 80028 MB (K

New Config.
Master Drive, Partition 0 = FAT32, 14771 MB, system restore (H
partition 1 = NTFS, 65256 MB (C
Slave Drive, partition 0 = NTFS, 160049 MB (D

Everything works except System Restore. When I run, I get error message System Restore Appplication has encountered a problem and needs to close. I suspect the problem is related to the drive letter change.

Suggestions appreciated.

A:System Restore fails after changing hard drives

Where are the restore points that you created stored? They are usually stored on one of the devices attached to the machine. If you remove that device... well then.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-restore-fails-after-changing-hard-drives.419120/
Relevancy 46.87%

This is a problem that has been happening Slow Folders/ changing Very drives selecting Directory for a while now When I click on My Computer I get the flashlight hourglass looking for drives this can sometimes take minutes When I save download files and change destination directory it does nothing and then after sometime it pops open the window to select directories In IE if I type an address or click history dropdown it takes awhile to register and then enters the site Firefox works fine I feel these are all connected to one problem source but am unsure what it is Another more recent problem that might or might not be related is that the system will freeze for a few seconds I would like to try and FIX the problem so I can learn as oppose to just reinstalling just because its easier What app script does these things dropdown menus and drive selection search maybe VB I am unsure My system is ghz Celeron MB Ram running Win XP Pro nbsp

A:Very Slow changing Directory Folders/ selecting drives

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
Save the file to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

A security expert should take a look at your log - please be patient.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/very-slow-changing-directory-folders-selecting-drives.510540/
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi i'm new here and I made error after partition Bootmgr Need missing drives Help!! changing is an account for the sole purpose of getting help on this situation i'm having right now Yesterday I wanted to delete my system reserved partition and I followed a guide to do so but I ended up messing up my partitions I got the Bootmgr error when I would try and boot up so I looked for solutions on solving this issue but I have no luck yet I tried the Windows recovery disc recovery options startup repair and command prompt and I tried to change the boot order in the bios but to no avail did it help One thing I should note is i'm able to successfully boot up from the Windows installation disc but I cannot boot up from my SSD because I messed up the partitions status's Does anyone know how I can reverse Bootmgr is missing error after changing partition drives Need Help!! this Bootmgr is missing error after changing partition drives Need Help!! so I can boot up from my SSD instead of my disc everytime One more thing I should say is I have a second hard drive a mechanical TB one and I think I messed up something on that too

A:Bootmgr is missing error after changing partition drives Need Help!!

You'd never want to delete or mess with the System Reserved partition since it boots Windows, not until it has its System Active flags moved to C first so that C can boot itself. Here's how, so you can see if it can still be done:

Unplug all other HD's except WIn7 HD.

Mark C Partition Active (Option Two) then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times until Win7 starts and C partition holds the System Active flags.

The System REserved partition can now be deleted and recovered if desired using Partition Wizard Resize Partition - Video Help.

If that fails, mark the System Reserved partition Active and try the Startup Repairs to revive it - if necessary recreate the partition using the Win7 installer Drive Options shown in Steps 7 and 8 of Clean Install Windows 7, use Diskpart to mark it Active then run the 3 repairs.

When you plug back in other HD's make sure Win7 HD remains set first HD to boot in BIOS setup, no other partition is marked Active except C. Partition - Mark as Inactive

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/307692-bootmgr-missing-error-after-changing-partition-drives-need-help.html
Relevancy 46.87%

HOw to change the the background image of the folders in local drives in windows 7 please help me with the configuration settings not the softwares?? plz

A:Changing folder Backgrounds of local drives in Win7

Hello AD,

You might see if this may be able to work for you for this.

Folder Background - Change

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/215968-changing-folder-backgrounds-local-drives-win7.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hello Everyone I purchased two WD Green Gig SATA hard drives I currently have one WD hard Changing IDE to from With SATA configuration a RAID drives gig IDE as my master and a WD gig as my slave I am running windows XP Home addition I want to change out the hard drives but I have never used SATA before therefore I am a little worried about doing this I read my manual under the RAID setup topic I am undicided as to RAID or RAID I Changing hard drives from IDE to SATA With a RAID configuration have backed up my C drive the gig IDE and the slave through the software provided on my external TB WD Book drive I was thinking of using this software called Spotmau that I purchased to make a copy of my C drive for they say you can completly copy everything even the operating system A tech at Best buy told me that the system will run very slow if I were to do it using the Spotmau software He said it would be better to install the new SATA hard drives set up the RAID and then place a new copy of my operating system on the drive then pull over my files from the WD external drive He said the USB can not copy the windows operation system and it would run extremely slow I know there are a few topics here in my questions but if anyone can provide some solid advice I would appriciate it Basically I need to know more on what RAID to use and how best to copy my files over to the drives once there in I have heard that using both IDE and SATA at the same time can not be done That is what I planned on doing but since it is not possible and they will not communicate with one another I had to purchase new hard drives Thanks lizardking nbsp

A:Changing hard drives from IDE to SATA With a RAID configuration

Windows XP is not capable of running SATA drives as either AHCI (single drive SATA mode) or SATA RAID without installing the proper drivers during the OS install. You would be instructed to "Press F-6", then insert the drivers with a floppy drive.

Bottom line, you would have to install the OS clean to do what you want to do, no exceptions.

You cannot change the drive mode with the OS installed in either Vista or Win 7 either, but the driver situation is a bit easier to deal with.

I don't think the RAID 1 or 0 should be an issue. RAID 1 is a mirroring (backup) strategy, and RAID 0 splits data between 2 (or more drives) for speed of access. Truth to tell, RAID 0 really isn't any good by itself, too unreliable to protect sensitive data. You really need to run RAID 0 & 1 together, This is sometimes referred to as "RAID 5".

If you can be talked out of RAID altogether, you can run your new HDDs as is, by selecting "IDE" emulation in the BIOS. Most sources state that there is very little to no speed penalty for doing it this way.

Anyway, you would need to go to the board manufacturers website for the SATA drivers. I didn't Google your board. Does it even have a RAID capable SATA controller?

Incidentally, those WD "Green" drives are the worst possible choice for RAID. As I understand it, their "energy saving" self-throttling behavior, will cause them fall out of RAID, and generate a bunch or errors and messages in doing so.

I don't recommend RAID, but if you absolutely insist, you should spring for WD's "RE" (RAID edition) HDDs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drives-from-ide-to-sata-with-a-raid-configuration.150347/
Relevancy 46.87%

Can someone point me to documentation that will explain how to change my current raid 0 config. back to a 2 drives. (ie C: and D: I don't know if it is a hardware or software function or both.
Thanks

Relevancy 46.44%

There was a previous thread on this, but none which I found pertaining to Windows 7.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to do this?

Possibly without having to use the Win7 installation CD...

A:Changing hard drives from IDE to SATA With a RAID configuration in Windows 7

Can you supply us with the full scenario please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-hard-drives-from-ide-to-sata-with-a-raid-configuration-in-windows-7.172531/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi all,

Im running two external drives on my xp pro sp3,their accessed regulally for data storage,backups and running applications,and so are left plugged in.

Im wondering if their is any way to stop windows constaltly reassigning new drive letters with reboots,as
shortcuts,assosiated programs etc have all to be re setup.
(a workaround or application)?

If i go too disk management and assign my own letters the system will still change the letters again on reboot,not a huge hassle,but would be nice if it could be stopped,a net  search hassnt turned up
any solutions so far.

Any thoughts on this appreciated

Thanks in advance

A:Stop Windows changing drive letters on external drives

In my experience...the only time that assigned drive letters change....occurs when a dual-boot is involved or new hardware is added or old hardware is subtracted.

So I don't understand you when you say that the drive letters assigned change.,,I suppose that malware might result in such.

Any indication of malware or other system problems?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/504306/stop-windows-changing-drive-letters-on-external-drives/
Relevancy 45.58%

Poor Leo He has lost two complete drives now due to corruption after drives? from other boot Can corrupted cause drives booting from one drive restarting then using the BIOS to boot from another drive both win He keeps getting quot ERRORS attempting to repair quot on Can boot from other drives cause corrupted drives? all of his drives After chugging along for awhile they usually boot but with enough corruption that the drive is pretty messed up He just Can boot from other drives cause corrupted drives? lost the main SSD boot drive that he spent so much time in building Now I kept telling him that I never had that issue and then BAM I got an quot Attempting to repair quot after accidentally trying to boot from another drive only for a few seconds from the UEFI BIOS BOOT OVERRIDE clicked on the wrong drive- was shooting for ROM Now a big question Can boot from other drives cause corrupted drives? mark is the WAY that I was booting I was using the new UEFI BIOS BOOT OVERRIDE just click on the drive or ROM and it boots from it I THINK that is what Leo has been doing rather than change the boot drive in the BIOS to the hard drive he wants to boot from Is this normal I will be Googling for a while on this one

A:Can boot from other drives cause corrupted drives?

The short answer is NO

But then again it all depends because there's so many variables that one could write a novel sized book listing all the possible causes for drive corruption.

Gather evidence, and start from the obvious and work your way down the list.

"Booting from another drive" being the cause would probably be cause number 545985 followed by #545986 "Booting from a CD".

If you're gonna throw that SSD away, can you throw it my way cos I'm sure it'll be working fine when I get it :-)

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/22519-can-boot-other-drives-cause-corrupted-drives.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello, wondering if anyone can help with this issue. I am looking to install xp so I wrote the .iso onto a bootable USB and changed the boot order in the bios to boot from USB first. Then after it rebooted, the screen stays black with no bios screen etc. Not sure why it doesn't come up, any suggestions? Thanks

This is an acer aspire one netbook running ubuntu 10.04. 120gb hdd and 1gb Ram. Have absolutely no problems in past with it and it's about a year and a half old.

Extra info :-: when trying to hit the caps lock in the blank screen, the light does jot come up and the keyboard seems to be unresponsive. I am letting it cool down as it was on all day whilst o was researching the xp installation so will attempt to turn it on again soon but fear it may be to the boot order change.

A:Solved: Blank screen on startup after changing boot order to boot from USB.

Any POST messages?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-blank-screen-on-startup-after-changing-boot-order-to-boot-from-usb.953661/
Relevancy 45.58%

I bought a new Inspiron - which came with a GB SSD nbsp I upgraded it with a SanDisk GB SSD and when installing the new OS I turned off the UEFI nbsp That is in the BIOS menu for BOOT I have Boot List Option nbsp Legacy Secure Boot Disabled Load Legacy Option ROM Enabled PROBLEM nbsp The system is on its own changing boot options nbsp Specifically st Boot Priority is always set to Diskette Drive nbsp If I change it to Hard Drive then Exit with Save Changes and Reset it will 11-3152 Drive, then to boot boot default Inspiron Diskette changing won't boot normally nbsp But when I shut down and boot up again the system will fail to load sitting at a blinking cursor nbsp If I go into the setup menu with F I find that st Boot Priority has been changed back to Diskette Drive nbsp Also Fast Boot is always switched to Enabled I have never heard of anything like this in years of using computers nbsp How can BIOS settings change themselves Inspiron 11-3152 default boot changing to Diskette Drive, then won't boot on reboot nbsp Is there any way to fix this nbsp The computer works fine other than having to go into the boot menu with F and change from Diskette Drive to Hard Drive on every boot nbsp Any ideas how to fix this The current SSD has linux on it but I have the Windows that the computer came with untouched on the factory SSD BIOS Version CPU Type Pentium CPU N GHz

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19986901
Relevancy 45.58%

Vista Wont Boot after changing MAX Mem in msconfig/boot/advancedoptions

A:Vista Wont Boot after changing MAX Mem in msconfig/boot/advancedoptions

Its saved in a file called boot.ini so if you can get a command promot you can edit that file.
i know this works with NT, XP ..etc worth a shot with Vista

Boot with Vista CD.
# Insert the Windows CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
# When you receive the “Press any key to boot from CD” message, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
# When you receive the “Welcome to Setup” message, press R to start the Recovery Console.
# When you are prompted, type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
# At the command prompt, type bootcfg /list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini file appear on the screen.
# At the command prompt, type bootcfg /rebuild, and then press ENTER.
Also if you get access in DOS and are able to edit boot.ini you need to change:
/maxmem=number

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-wont-boot-after-changing-max-mem-in-msconfig-boot-advancedoptions.614385/
Relevancy 45.58%

I am dual booting Win7 Ultimate x64 from a SSD and WinXP Pro x64 from a HDD. After POST, i get to a boot selection screen showing the XP 2003 Server edition (XP x64) and Win7. I could enter Win7 but the default is the setup so if I don't do anything the screen times out after 30 seconds, loads the setup, and BSOD. So whatever. I just use arrow up, select Win7 and I'm fine. BUT, I changed the timeout from 30 to 0 seconds in boot options and now I can't figure out how to get back into Win7. To enter XP, I have to press f11 and select the disk from boot options or else it enters setup and BSOD. I need help on getting settings changed so my PC will automatically boot into Win7 and booting into XP is done as it currently is.

Thanks

A:Dual Boot issues, changing default boot option

Try this: https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/ba...default-entry/

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/311935-dual-boot-issues-changing-default-boot-option.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi there Recently got a HP Pavilion g sa which came with Windows spit and this disgusting UEFI BIOS replacement double spit Anyway I need to dual boot Ubuntu on my system so I installed Ubuntu Normally on a non UEFI system a Grub bootloader installed by Linux would take Boot 8 Order and Dual Ubuntu on Boot Changing Windows over the startup process and allow you to choose between Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu either Windows or Ubuntu on startup nbsp However on this computer startup is just booting straight to Windows despite the fact that Ubuntu and Grub IS installed Now upon startup if I press F then I get to change the boot-device on a one-time basis I can either select OS Boot Manager which loads Windows or Ubuntu which loads the Grub bootloader which allows me to select Windows or Ubuntu However when I press F to enter the Bios Setup with the intention of changing the boot order permanently the Ubuntu option isn't there Instead it has OS Manager USB Disk CD Rom USB CD Rom and Network Card Thanks HP for the crappily designed BIOS Anyway can anyone PLEASE provide me a way of changing the boot order so that GRUB is loaded first and NOT this crap Windows rubbish that I would happily bin if I didn't need it for work nbsp

A:Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu

Looks like HP forums are just as useful as HP customer service and HP computers - i.e., not very useful at all.Problem solved though. Took the piece of crap back for a full refund and won't be buying HP again.Happy days.Bye.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Changing-Boot-Order-on-Dual-Boot-Windows-8-and-Ubuntu/td-p/2503733
Relevancy 45.15%

I am choosing which OS to boot by changing the boot order in my BIOS. To me, this seems clean and simple. I built 32 bit XP on one disk, then removed that disk from my system, installed a different disk, and built 64 bit W7.

When both disks are installed, I change the boot order to select the OS I want, and each OS sees and can use the files on either disk.

Am I asking for trouble here, or is this as clean as I think it is? What I want is one set of user document files which can be used from whichever OS has been booted.

A:Choosing which OS to boot by changing BIOS boot order

Quote: Originally Posted by pander1203

I am choosing which OS to boot by changing the boot order in my BIOS. To me, this seems clean and simple. I built 32 bit XP on one disk, then removed that disk from my system, installed a different disk, and built 64 bit W7.

When both disks are installed, I change the boot order to select the OS I want, and each OS sees and can use the files on either disk.

Am I asking for trouble here, or is this as clean as I think it is? What I want is one set of user document files which can be used from whichever OS has been booted.

There are no problems with doing it that way its just a PITA. with minimal work you can have a bootloader where all you have to do is click the OS you want to run. You need to use a tool like bcdedit. there are instructions for itis use here BCDEDIT - How to Use .How this helps and let us know if you need help with anything

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/32181-choosing-os-boot-changing-bios-boot-order.html
Relevancy 44.72%

If anyone out there can please dual 4 1 & 32-bit sata Vista with 5 array drives, boot Help XP boot: raid offer some guidance it would be appreciated amp I will take you to dinner if your in the tri-state area My Help with XP & Vista 32-bit dual boot: 5 drives, 4 sata raid array 1 boot Dad passed When he did he was having problems booting up his computer wich is dual boot xp vista on one drive ide I believe haven t taken a close look at that drive plus four other sata drives set in a raid array If I recall this is a raid setup Anyway windows downloaded an update for his graphics card since then the compute goes Help with XP & Vista 32-bit dual boot: 5 drives, 4 sata raid array 1 boot through the initial boot identifies all hardwae and then stops at a prompt it does not go to the windows boot menu nor does any windows flash graphic come up Instead it hangs at a dead cursor where nothing can be typed in His graphics card is an asus card with an ati chipset and dual monitors installed All I want to get at is documents and pictures To add another twist the Sata drives are partioned into at minimum virtual drives He was a Dr and had things scattered all over for legal personal trading patient insurance ect Hence the number of vitual drives The big question is can I run a vista rescue disk or recovery disc to boot it into windows Or am I going to lose the XP info or all for that matter HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED I do fairly well with computers and have building repairing my own since college am I that old My dad was a fanatic with them so he buuilt a new one every year I got out of and when it s too slow I move on and rebuild BTW he has Help with XP & Vista 32-bit dual boot: 5 drives, 4 sata raid array 1 boot an ASUS PB motherboard if my memory serves correct the box is still at his hous and there too many cables and cards to dig around the MB to find out PLease Help nbsp

A:Help with XP & Vista 32-bit dual boot: 5 drives, 4 sata raid array 1 boot

PLease somebody must be abele to offer some assistance

I am a believer that somebody has come across this if anyone has guidance please help!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-xp-vista-32-bit-dual-boot-5-drives-4-sata-raid-array-1-boot.135565/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have hard drives with windows system on them One is windows media center xp and the other is xp pro As I start my pc it goes through the bios and then stops and I have choices Booting to the media center drive rdisk or the xp pro drive rdisk Both drives boot to their respective desktops all is well Btw i did install the systems when both drives where running My question change when boot settings NTLDR bios but 2 drives get Dual i ok boot when Dual boot 2 drives ok but get NTLDR when i change boot bios settings I change my bios from first boot Dual boot 2 drives ok but get NTLDR when i change boot bios settings disk to disk disk is another storage logical drive then save and exit it wont give me that choice anymore is shows a NTLDR missing I go to bios configuration again and change back to the original first boot drive and I can boot to either hard drive with no problems Why this is so This is my boot ini for both bootable drives boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Windows XP Media Center Edition quot noexecute optin fastdetect multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Microsoft Windows XP Professional quot noexecute optin fastdetect Thanks to all Robert nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-2-drives-ok-but-get-ntldr-when-i-change-boot-bios-settings.696849/
Relevancy 44.29%

I got a SSD now in my system connected to the first sata port with win7 installed
My previous (mechanical) sata hard disk who was prev. setup on this port is still usable and also has win7 installed on it. i wnat to use it as a experiment setup.
If I connect this old hdd to another sata port say sata 1 or 2.

Can I choose to boot from either the new SSD or the old sata-hdd and run win7 without problems using the BIOS boot order?

I read some scary stuff about this scenario could mess things up because both both drives used to be 'C'

Also I have my BIOS setup with AHCI nowbecause of the SSD. My previous hdd used the standard sata-mode. If I use this old mechanical sata hdd which has windows7 on it and use AHCI in bios will it boot/work?

A:Boot from one of 2 attached drives with BIOS boot order no problem?

As long as you installed windows independently, with the other drive unplugged, there would be no issue choosing either one to boot from the bios.

I doubt if the hard drive will boot in AHCI mode, but test it to see.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/318195-boot-one-2-attached-drives-bios-boot-order-no-problem.html
Relevancy 43.86%

The CD drives are Lite-on DVD-411S and 52327S.
I've tried booting both my old windows 98 CD and a CD I made with an old 98 boot disk as the boot. It will, though, boot Windows 2000 and Slackware 10 install discs fine.
The error message is:
I/O error.
Replace the disk and press any key.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-cd-drives-wont-boot-cds-with-floppy-images-as-boot-sectors.313724/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello,

I'm searched around for possible clues or solutions for what's going on with my system. No luck.

I have a win7 and xp dual boot. They had been working fine, until one day I couldn't get on XP anymore. It'd just freeze while loading, whether it is safe mode, normal, you name it.
I had to do a system restore on the Win7, because of a video card problem.. now I can't get on it either. It works 1 out of 50 times. After doing more and more restores and trying to go in safe mode etc etc..

All that aside, for some reason now I can't seem to boot anything out of my CD Drives. I switch up the order, have switched them, tried only one, switched IDE cables, they work on windows.. they just don't seem to boot anything. I've tried several self boots dics now. Nothing.
Any idea on how this issue? I certainly appreciate it.
Thank you.

A:CD Drives boot problems (win7/xp dual boot)

Welcome!

Have you tried a Startup Repair?

~Jonathan

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/53767-cd-drives-boot-problems-win7-xp-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 41.71%

so somehow my bootmgr got compressed and i got that error everytime i restarted my computer. i got a repair disk but idk how to change it so my dvd driver boots first before my hard drive. i have windows 7 home premium 32 bit.

A:changing bio so i can boot from dvd

On most systems, pressing F12 at boot up will get you a menu to select where you want to boot from.

Give that a try.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/339763-changing-bio-so-i-can-boot-dvd.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I am running XP Pro SP in with Changing Boot HD an AMD Anthlon processor GH on a Gigabyte motherboard and Gig of RAM I have been running with two IDE drives and a WD Gig SATA drive which contains the Operating System on one of its partitions Recently I discovered Changing Boot HD that the WD disk is corrupt so I bought a new identical WD Gig SATA disk and decided Changing Boot HD to move everything from the old WD to the new WD After the new disk was installed I partitioned the new WD the same as the old WD and ghosted the C partition on the old WD with Acronis Now I have to install the OS data onto the new WD and make the new WD containing the operating system files the boot directory I know I have to change the drive letter for the new WD partition to C and make some changes in BIOS but I am not sure exactly what those steps and their sequence are I m sure there are some very easy to use guides out there but I ve tried googling with no results Can anyone help Thanks for your support nbsp

Relevancy 41.71%

Hey guys,

My dad's laptop has a HDD which has 2 partitions. Both are WinXP which correctly shows on boot. My question is can I remove the first XP and install Windows 7 RTM instead without messing up the boot. Thanks in advance.

A:Changing Boot (2 Win XPs) to (Win 7 and XP)

oreo

yes . win 7 will create a boot menu on install

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/250088-changing-boot-2-win-xps-win-7-xp.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have had 2 sata hard drives for some time now. I recently added 2 ide drives.

Everytime I re boot I have to change the first boot back to the sata drive. How can a make this stay?

A:Boot keeps changing

So you have 4 hard drives
And likely minimum 1 DVD drive
And I think you mentioned on another thread you are running Striped or Mirror Raid Array

Is that correct?
Because if so, I think you may be going a little over-board.
You do know that most users just have 1 hard drive

Anyway, yes you could be getting conflicts with your drives (5 of them) and your motherboard chipset, who knows.
But the answer is to run the same manufacture and connection (ideally Sata) on multiple hard drives, especially if using Raid

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-keeps-changing.125008/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi all,
I find that the Windows 7 boot screen slows down the boot process on my machine. Is there a way to restore the old Vista scrolling loading bar? I know it's there as my netbook uses it.

Thanks.

A:Changing the Windows 7 Boot Screen back to Vista's boot screen

Boot manager is the same as in vista! It doesn't slow down your machine.
Or do you mean something different with "boot screen"?

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/198003-changing-windows-7-boot-screen-back-vistas-boot-screen.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi ... My friend has a HP computer with Windows xp home edition preinstall , Now my friend also has a full retail version of Windows xp home edition on cd disk ... He want to install this retail version onto his HP computer .... I have heard that you can change the boot.ini file so it can accept the retail version as OEM version and my friend could use the product keys that with his HP computer , This way if my friend ever want to use another computer he can use the retail version disk product keys ... Can someone explain how this can be done ?? Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-the-boot-order.329897/
Relevancy 41.28%

My Vista disk for some reason keeps messing up when I try to install windows in a computer with a new hard drive So since my laptop has slots to put HDDs in I would have my main HDD with Vista that came with my computer then put in the disk while in windows and have it install to the other hard drive while windows is running This seemed to be the only way windows would work Well now when I restart my computer I boot Changing Vista get both options of Vista I want to start up in and I can start up in the new vista fine while the other hard drive is in But when I take out my old vista hdd it says there is no OS found on the HDD So I assume it is a boot issue I then tried having the vista Changing Vista boot CD in and using the repair feature to repair the start up portion but it could not find any disks with Vista on them But if I put both hard drives back in and try to run the repair feature it shows both hardrives What I am trying to do is run Changing Vista boot the new vista harddrive on my other laptop How can I change the boot some how to make it independent of the other drive I remember in XP it was so easy to edit the boot menu now in vista they removed that edit button

A:Changing Vista boot

Why don't you just put the new drive in the laptop and install vista on it normally? Why are you using this complicated procedure with the other computer? Then you wouldn't have all these problems (and perhaps others as well when you go to move the hard drive and find the drivers are incorrect since they installed based on the original computer devices and not the final destination laptop's devices). I simply don't understand why you are using this convoluted procedure when all you need to do is put the new drive in the laptop you want it to be in at the end of it all and install vista on that laptop normally.

If you insist on trying it this way, I recommend you download EasyBCD Download EasyBCD 2.0.2 - NeoSmart Technologies and with that you may be able to resolve the boot problem (though I could be wrong and think that's likely) - which is essentially you have created a dual-boot computer with the boot files only on the primary boot drive. You need to amend things so it is no longer dual-boot and each drive boots separately. I'm not certain if EasyBCD can do this or not - it can fix boot files and remove the dual boot, but I don't know if it can add boot files to the other new drive where they don't exist and it wasn't installed to have them (but it's maybe worth a try if you insist on doing it this way as I can't think of any other way to change and/or add the boot files - and again, I'm not sure they can be added to the new drive that doesn't have anything installed to be modified).

If it can't make the new drive bootable, it may require a clean reinstallation of Vista on the new drive to add the boot information (without the old drive in the system and done from the disk as if it were the only drive - then it won't get confused and setup a dual-boot system and will setup the drive with all the proper boot files and such - but also the drivers for that computer so when you move it to the other laptop it may have problems because of that even if the boot issue is resolved - just something to consider as you do what it sounds like you are attempting here).

I hope this helps but that you will reconsider what you are doing and just put the new drive in the laptop where you eventually want it and install vista normally on that computer to avoid the boot and driver problems you are otherwise facing.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/283593-changing-vista-boot.html
Relevancy 41.28%

hi
i must changed my windows disk but cant reinstall windows
so i get backup from c drive with acronis and recover it in diffrent disk
now my problem is changin boot system and etc
this is my disk managment photo

i wanna remove disk0 from my pc and make e drive to windows drive
plzz help

A:changing system boot

Please post screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/310365-changing-system-boot.html
Relevancy 41.28%

OMG I NEED HELP My Laptop has drives The C and the Recovery Partitoin which is E or sumthin I partitoined the C and made the partition G And like a Jackass I changed the label of G and C not the letter only the label instead of Windows C i changed it to quot EXAMPLE quot C It worked fine till i restarted my computer It says bootmgr is Changing Drive.... Boot missing So i ran Recovery and I was backing everything up wen I found the problem The C drive which had all my system files is no longer C It shows as D So there is no C only D and the empty Partition G I thought I cud choose to boot from D but I went to boot menu and all i can select is Hard Disk or CD Rom Wen I select hard disk it boots from the recovery Changing Boot Drive.... partition and opens HP Recovery How can I select which DRIVE to Boot from OH I FORGOT AFTER I PARTIONED C I MADE THE NEW PARTTION G AND I MADE IT AND quot ACTIVE DRIVE quot I THINK THAT DID SUMTHIN TOO

A:Changing Boot Drive....

Originally Posted by nuwan

OMG I NEED HELP...!!!
My Laptop has 2 drives. The C and the Recovery Partitoin which is E or sumthin. I partitoined the C and made the partition G. And like a Jackass I changed the label of G and C, not the letter, only the label. (instead of Windows C:/ i changed it to "EXAMPLE" C:/)
It worked fine till i restarted my computer..
It says bootmgr is missing. So i ran Recovery and I was backing everything up wen I found the problem. The C drive which had all my system files is no longer C, It shows as D. So there is no C, only D and the empty Partition G.
I thought I cud choose to boot from D but I went to boot menu and all i can select is Hard Disk or CD Rom. Wen I select hard disk it boots from the recovery partition and opens HP Recovery.
How can I select which DRIVE to Boot from??

OH I FORGOT... AFTER I PARTIONED C, I MADE THE NEW PARTTION G AND I MADE IT AND "ACTIVE DRIVE". I THINK THAT DID SUMTHIN TOO..

Hello nuwan;

Can you help clear up some things for me? You said your laptop has two drives? Do you mean two hard drives or two partitions on one hard drive?

In an earlier thread you were asking how to add XP to your laptop and dual boot XP and Vista, so did you get XP installed? Where is Vista now? What partition? What letter?

You might be able to get back to booting to windows if you can mark the partition with the boot code (Vista?) as active. It would help a lot if you had a third party partitioning utility to use. If you do not have one, the free Partition Wizard is very popular here at the forums. Download the iso and burn it to a CD (make sure you are making the burn bootable). You can then boot to the CD and use the utility to mark the Vista partition active (or the partition with the boot code).

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/273324-changing-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I just purchased a computer with xp pro and need to change the boot sequence so to read from the cd drive first. The person i purchased it from forgot the user password so after purchasing it i bought a password recovery disk to correct this problem.I would appreciate any help.Thanks

I know i need to do this in bios (and know how to do this with windows 98) but not sure how with windows xp pro. are there certain keys to press on powerup that will bring me into bios? Thanks

A:changing boot sequence in xp pro

The boot sequence is changed in the BIOS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-boot-sequence-in-xp-pro.275588/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi I have a Acer laptop which had a corrupt Windows boot Changing order installation so I couldn t boot from the hard drive The user doesn t have recovery discs and the Alt F Changing boot order Recovery option wasn t available even though the hidden recovery partition is there PQSERVICE In order to get to the files a copy of Windows XP Pro was installed but Changing boot order it won t activate - that that isn t a problem for me as I will remove it before the days I was given a recovery disc set designed for another computer but - although it didn t work - the next time I booted the laptop it ran the eRecovery program and restored Windows onto it which is fantastic My problem is that the system is still booting to Windows XP which is on the D partition and not to Windows which is on the E partition There is another partition called C called quot SYSTEM quot but it contains nothing apart from a hidden Program files folder How do I tell the computer to boot from the recovered E partition so I can use Windows and create the Recovery discs needed Then I can remove the Windows XP installation that I don t want or need Thank you very much in anticipation of your help to resolve this problem Regards Julia Evans

A:Changing boot order

Use EasyBCD to modify the boot loader: http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/439529/changing-boot-order/
Relevancy 41.28%

Since I've had a new mother board, processor, memory, and video card installed I am having a boot problem. It takes 2 or 3 tries to boot and then when I check the boot sequence it has reset itself to 3.5 for the first boot priority. I finally got it to stay but it is still hanging. Says I need to reconfigure but I don't know enought to know what to reconfigure.

A:boot sequence keeps changing

The only thing old is the disk right?

You need to reload the OS

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-sequence-keeps-changing.272115/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey all My nephew never runs his anti-virus right and so here I am yet again trying to clean his HD But this time my system won t detect his HD when in my box Thats cool I just reinstalled XP in his box slow mhz BUT after having his HD Ever Changing Boot Sequence! in my machine I now find my machine will suddenly crash and try to reboot but it when it does try the boot sequence has been changed and it can t HD Jumper is set correctly to master I have to go into bios and set the sequence again once the HD wasn Ever Changing Boot Sequence! t even showing in the bios so I Ever Changing Boot Sequence! changed the cable end I was using restarted - same problem - not booting but then reset bios HD showing and then it boots ok Ran NAV and found three trojans but it s still doing it COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM I have recently installed a pro and heard that they are power hungry My PSU is a watt and I am running Floppy CD read only CD RW gb HD pro PCI Creative Sound PCI network card PCI TV Capture card k Modem PCI PCI x USB panel Thanks in advance for any ideas that might be forthcoming Pedro nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ever-changing-boot-sequence.259624/
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi Everyone!

I put together a computer a couple months ago. (ASUS-A8S-X, dual AMD-ATHLON processor 64x2). I installed a hard drive (120 GB) from my previous system which is currently used used as my boot drive (master, C.

I added this week an additional hard drive (Seagate 500 GB) as a slave drive (F. I would like to make this new drive the boot drive for my system since the C: drive is 7 years old. Which is the least painful approach to proceed? Windows XP is my operating system.

Regards,

Halo

A:Changing Boot Drive

Just change the boot device priority in the bios, its as simple as that.

Provided both drives are set to cable select you wont have a problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/changing-boot-drive.91314/
Relevancy 41.28%

hello i  i need help with this . i installed linux os next to win 10 now the system boots to windows directly i want to change the boot order i already disabled secure boot and changed to legace but still could not change boot order every time i have to press F9 to choose the os and it is very annoying 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Changing-boot-order/td-p/5716897
Relevancy 41.28%

I have an old Dell Demension L550R,Pentium 3 processor with 256 mb ram.The machine is running a fresh copy of xp,the only problem is that when it sits (idle )running for five or six hours it has a screen come up asking for a boot disk.I can't get into the setup to change the boot sequence.THANK YOU.

A:changing boot sequence

you may have a faulty ide cable,or a problem with the hard drive
d/load the hard drive manufacturers diognostic utility and run it on the h/drive
run
chkdsk /r
you get into the bios by pressing usually the delete key as the computer is booting up it will tell you which one on the bottom of one of the post screens

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-boot-sequence-160456.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I just added a 2nd hard disk to my pc, which I have partitioned, and I'm trying to make one partition the boot drive. I have assigned a letter to each partition, but I can't actually make one of them the boot drive. I'm using WinXP. What do I need to do?

Relevancy 41.28%

I just switched over to a SSD, and ghosted over my dual boot partitions (XP/7). XP booted up fine, 7 didn't work at first and then I got it to repair itself using my old hard drive.

The first thing I noticed is my bootloader said

Windows XP
Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)

I found out which one worked and which was the old one, so I deleted the empty name. It now says

Windows XP

All I want to do is change the name back to Windows 7

Before it was like this (And it was perfect)

Windows XP
Windows 7

How do I change the name? Im using EasyBCD 1.7.2

A:Dual Boot: Changing OS Name

Go to "Change settings" and, at the top, select windows 7.
On the bottom window, change the name to anything you fancy.
"Save settings"
Done

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/3628-dual-boot-changing-os-name.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Through style xp I tried changing my boot screen I followed the instructions as they were listed I made a copy of my ntoskrnl file went into safe mode and copied new boot ntoskrnl file over the old then rebooted Now the problem is The system wont boot up Meaning once I get to the new boot screen changing tried HELP!!! screen... boot the system reboots and just keeps cycling to boot screen to reboot I need to figure out a way to access the old ntoskrnl files and copy them back to their original directory I have them i just cant get to them I tried changing boot screen... HELP!!! cant even get on through safe mode same thing happens I have pulled my hard drive and put it on my other computer thinking i could access them as a tried changing boot screen... HELP!!! slave drive My other cpu however is running win Me So i downloaded a file allowing me to access ntfs files on a fat system The problem with that is that i cant tried changing boot screen... HELP!!! copy the old files because they are protected files I m not sure where to go from here so i turn to you Please help me nbsp

Relevancy 41.28%

Last night I installed Ram on in my PC I upgraded to this Everything booted up fine sexy and smooth Well I ran CPu-Z Won't Ram boot Timings. changing after to check the timings make sure everything was set up proper I was showing some weird timings Like - - - So I went into BIOS changed my cycles to - - - As my BIOS didn t have an option for the last number the trc I think that was Well according to the product page they are timed at - - - I didn t think this would cause THAT BIG of an issue Well I saved settings rebooted the computer and now it wont start PC sounds fine no beep tones runs smooth like any other time But monitor won t kick on I know there is nothing wrong with the monitor or the video card Just like it wouldn t turn on when my fat fingers couldn t couldn t push the ram in all the way and I thought it was My question is how can I go about fixing this I droped about on this system not more then a month ago Won't boot after changing Ram Timings. I ll be damned if I can t get it working again lol I thought maybe I would need to flash BIOS but I don t know how to do this Won't boot after changing Ram Timings. More information about the system It s a MSI K A Platinum MOBO running with Phoenix Award BIOS If any other information is needed just ask I ll give as much as I can Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 41.28%

okay, right now i am dual booting windows vista and windows 7 and have about 20 gigs devoted to 7 and 210 devoted to vista, and i just decided that i want to go completely to windows 7. i have had 7 on my computer for 3 months and have used vista maybe once in that period of time. what would be the best way of going about getting rid of vista without messing anything up? i have a huge external drive so i am able to back up anything i want and am not worried about loosing my installed programs if necessary. but if possible i would like to not have to totally format my comp (but will if necessary.) thanks

A:changing from dual boot to all 7

Take a back up of ur windows 7 partition with Acronis True Image or with any disk imaging software and then format the vista partition from 7 and and try to reboot, if it does then fine, if it doesn't then insert the Windows 7 bootable and repair start up problems and I think it should fix your MBR...,
Check for important Data on Vista Partition before formatting it...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/11329-changing-dual-boot-all-7-a.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi,

I have installed a SSD drive and successfully cloned my old hard drive. When i unplug the old hard drive the computer boots up fine but as soon as the old drive is hooked up it boots from that. How do i change the boot disc to the SSD?

Thanks in advance

A:Changing boot disk to SSD

Let's see if this is right.  You cloned your old hard drive, which had Windows 8 installed on it, to a new solid state drive, yes?  Your next sentence is confusing.  Do you mean that the old drive boots into Windows fine, but the SSD does not?  Or the other way around?  Or both?  If it is the SSD that is having trouble, my experience has been that Windows 8 does not like to be cloned, at least not with Ghost. You can try to repair from the recovery console, but a clean install will probably be necessary.  If any of the other things are true,  you may have a bad controller on the mainboard, or maybe just bad SATA cables. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/494663/changing-boot-disk-to-ssd/
Relevancy 41.28%

Just joined this site and it really helps, all you usually hear is that Vista is horrible to work with but seems like people here figured it out, so thanks

A year ago when i built my new computer and decided to get Vista, I went to BestBuy and they gave me what I thought i needed. Turns out it was an upgrade version of Vista Ultimate and I ended up having to use my old IDE HDD ever since.

I'm wondering if there's a way to change so that Vista can load off of my SATA HDD, and will this help things run smoother?

A:Changing Boot Disk

I am not sure what you mean ?
The Upgrade Version can be installed on both SATA and IDE Drives.You can even do a clean install with an Upgrade Version.
Check this out :
Clean Install using Upgrade Vista
-Courtesy Brink.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/136748-changing-boot-disk.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hi,

VistaBootPro and EasyBCD doesnt seem to work so Im going to change the Boot.ini file. Does someone know how to set it up (From XP) for Vista and Suse Linux (There all on seperate HDD's)

Please.

Thanks,

Jay.

A:Changing The Boot.ini File

this thread probably has the info you want in it...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/changing-the-boot-ini-file-168900.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hey all My nephew never runs his anti-virus right and so here I am yet again trying to clean his HD But this time my system won t detect his HD when in my box Thats cool I just reinstalled XP in his box slow mhz BUT after having boot sequence changing Ever his HD in my machine I now find my machine will suddenly crash Ever changing boot sequence and try to reboot but it when it does try the boot sequence has been changed and it can t HD Jumper is set correctly to master I have to go into bios and set the sequence again once the HD wasn t even showing in the bios so I changed the cable end I was using restarted - same problem - not booting but then reset bios HD showing and then it boots ok Ran NAV and found three trojans but it s still doing it COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM I have recently installed a pro and heard that they are power hungry My PSU is a watt and I am running Floppy CD read only CD RW gb HD pro PCI Creative Sound PCI network card PCI TV Capture card k Modem PCI PCI x USB panel Thanks in advance for any ideas that might be forthcoming Pedro nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ever-changing-boot-sequence.259644/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and I want to format the C drive and reload xp pro. The disk tells me the version on my computer is newer than the disk and blah, blah, blah...and if I want to do this I need to boot from the install disk. Well, the original cd rom drive no longer works. I have an internal dvd burner installed and operating fine. The pc will not boot from this drive. I understand that I need to hit a particular key(F1, F8, F10 or DEL) during the boot up to enter the BIOS and change the boot sequence so the pc will look at the dvd drive before the C drive. I'm having trouble with this and need assistance. I'm either not hitting the correct key or.....

Relevancy 41.28%

Hi I just upgraded to a GB hard drive from a which I will use as a backup drive However to boot the D drive Changing from C when I set it up the primary boot Changing the boot drive from D to C partition got set up as D I have partitions on this drive The others were Changing the boot drive from D to C also mislabeled but I could change them with the Computer Management tool There is no C drive on this system I want to make what is now D become C The original also had Changing the boot drive from D to C partitions All I wanted to do is duplicate the old drive to the new one Somehow the boot partition became D and I can t change it from within Windows Is there a way to do that I have created the UBD for Windows using Bart s PE so I can boot the machine independently of using the hard drive If I can use that is there a tool there or a command line program I can use to change it Thanks for any help you can give Paul nbsp

A:Changing the boot drive from D to C

That would require every entry in the Registry to be also changed, not a job for the faint-hearted...

Changing it would mean that the system would not boot, in simple terms. This is also confirmed by the Microsoft Knowledge Base

Reinstalling Windows ensuring the correct drive is used, would be the simplest (probably the only) method.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-the-boot-drive-from-d-to-c.478110/
Relevancy 41.28%

i used windows 7 boot updater and when I clicked apply and restarted to test it showed windows vista safe mode boot animation but I still can boot to the desktop

how can I fix this

A:changing boot animation

8oot logo changer. Dont use the windows 7 one. 8oot Logo Changer

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/65158-changing-boot-animation.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I just type this all in and then it wouldn t post I received an M-Audio Delta Audiophile audio controller card from a friend so that my son could record some of his own music I installed the card in a PCI-slot and upgraded the driver through M-Audio website After a day the computer would no longer boot up It would freeze before it got to the welcome screen I boot BIOS after Won't changing changed PCI slots and it booted up Won't boot after changing BIOS - times and then froze again When I removed the card the computer booted fine As my son was anxious to use the new sound card to record with I went to M-Audio website and tried a few things - none of which worked - from the FAQs One FAQ suggested updating drivers for the VIA -in- chipset I downloaded the update and installed it When I rebooted the computer would get to the welcome screen and I d choose my icon and then it would stall at the point of saying quot loading your personal settings quot It didn t freeze as the mouse pointer moved I tried rebooting a few times Then I tried a system restore which didn t help I went into the BIOS and checked loaded failsafe defaults Now the computer just makes one long beep every - seconds The hard drive LED remains lit The CD and DVD drive LEDs light up The wireless card LED sights up But the computer doesn t even get to the first screen I have a Biostar P M -M motherboard and Phoenix BIOS How can I get past the beep and enter the BIOS to change it back nbsp

A:Won't boot after changing BIOS

I would try clearing the CMOS by moving the appropriate jumpers on the motherboard CMOS pins. Your motherboard manual illustrates what to do. If you don't have your manual handy, go to the Biostar website and download the pdf manual or click here. See page 12.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wont-boot-after-changing-bios.67176/
Relevancy 41.28%

is there a way to change the boot sector from within windows (win7)? I am running on a dell optiplex gx-280 with 2 gb ram and 250 gb hd. when i start the thing, i get a keyboard failure, which doesn't remedy until i am inside windows, so i can't hit the f2 or f12 keys to change things, and if i try to boot from a dvd, it says "press any key to boot from dvd", which is useless... is there a solution? [THE DAMN THING GOES TO A 3 1/2 STIFFY DRIVE, BUT NOT THE DVD]

Relevancy 41.28%

I have an ssd c to boot win pro bit with one hd after hdd's System changing won't boot around!? for backup b and two other hdd's d and e to install all my games to and personal files My ssd was mounted on a quot adaptor in a quot bay so was partially floating so i ordered a quot adaptor to fix it to Also my hdd for backup isnt used often so i bought a quot hot swap bay for it so i can just plug in when i need to backup instead of having it constantly System won't boot after changing hdd's around!? on When i plugged the drives back in i changed the sata slots around a little and since then System won't boot after changing hdd's around!? i can't get the pc to boot The hot swap bay seems to work power-wise but can't get to find if it works fully because i cant boot It seems to be a problem with the ssd as my asus sabertooth fx rev shows a constant quot boot device led quot light when it is connected but not with the others Basically when i turn the pc on it goes through POST but the mobo boot light stays on meaning its a boot problem I tried resetting the cmos a few times changing ssd to different sata slots including the two sata slots too changing the sata connections from ahci to ide and back in the bios and none of this works One thing ive yet to do is turn off smart check in the hope it is a smart problem and will allow me to boot past the asus screen to try and repair the drive I'm not sure if its the ssd needs repairing or some kind ofrepair on the boot part of the drive or bios boot choice In the bios boot options it shows quot boot manager quot but i'm not sure the bcd is correct if ive moved hdd's around Thank you in advance Ste

A:System won't boot after changing hdd's around!?

ASUS Sabretooth 990FX [Rev 1] has a UEFI/BIOS firmware, make sure Windows Boot Manager is first boot device.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/39068-system-wont-boot-after-changing-hdds-around.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hi all fellows,
I want to modify my “Windows XP Boot Screen”
But
Want a modification in my uninstalled source. ? (Which is save in my hard drive)
Not after installing the windows.
Can I do this?
Because I saw may windows saying pirate addition, etc. if they can do then why I can’t?

Please help me in this way.
Always regards
Waiting

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-boot-screen-changing.812872/
Relevancy 40.85%

I installed a new hard drive and installed winxp pro. Not realizing it at the time, it was installing on drive F. Now of course the windows drive is not c. as it should be but f instead. Although it works fine, it is very annoying to see f:\windows. Is there any way to change this without re-installing windows?

I know how it happened. The new drive that was installed was on IDE 1 as the Primary Master. I was under the impression that if I simply swapped the drive to IDE 0 it would correct the problem but I am obviously mistaken. I thought maybe I could use PQ Magic to remap the drives. Not sure though.

Really could use some advice here. I can't stand it anymore!

A:Changing the boot drive letter.

Give this a read to see if it applies to your situation

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307844

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-the-boot-drive-letter.205759/
Relevancy 40.85%

Hay,

I wanted to chnage by boot screen for xp professional and I downloaded BootXP and i created a boot screen in paint but when i browse in BootXP it cant find the file.

Relevancy 40.85%

When ever I try to change the boot screen I can't locate the file winload.exe.mui. I used to have it and I used to be able to change the boot screen could you please help.

A:Problem changing boot screen

I have ran sfc /scannow it said "Windows Resource Protection could not preform the requested operation." when it got to 8%.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/257515-problem-changing-boot-screen.html