Windows Support Forum

Changing Processors

Q: Changing Processors

I'm about to get computer but i'm wondering if its possible to upgrade the processor that it has. I don't know that much about adding new things to computers so if someone could help it'd be great.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Changing Processors

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Changing Processors

Without knowing anything about the computer, that's impossible to answer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-processors.611397/
Relevancy 61.06%

My current system has an ASUS A8AE-LE MOTHERBOARD socket 939 and according to my spec sheet it supports an AMD ATHLON 64 X2 it currently has a AMD ATHLON 64 3700+ @2.2 GHZ. What i want to know is do i have to change or clear my BIOS or CMOS after I install the 64 X2 processor before I turn my computer back on. Or if you have any info on any other steps i must take before turning it on.

THANX
DMH2005

A:changing processors

i would say replace the cpu and reboot the bios post will let you know if something is funky, but on bootup i would get into the bios and verify that has the updated cpu, i would also go to the asus site and see what latest bios update offers you....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-processors.676238/
Relevancy 61.06%

How much of a problem (hardware and program wise) would it be for me to change out my processor from the Athlon 1200 I have to something a little closer up to date? My motherboard will support up to an 2.5gig processor I believe.

Relevancy 61.06%

I need to put in a faster processor on an HP Pavilion machine.
I just needed the steps to take to make sure I get the right kind.
What specs do I need to be aware of?

A:Changing Processors

durant125 said:

I need to put in a faster processor on an HP Pavilion machine.
I just needed the steps to take to make sure I get the right kind.
What specs do I need to be aware of?Click to expand...

well based on your sig, an XP2400+ is a socket A cpu, your ram is PC2700 so we know your mobo can take 333fsb probably 400 but you would have to know your pc spec, look in the manual or d/l it from hp site. I'm thinking you can go up to a XP3200+ barton but thats a guess at this point

you can also d/l Everest home to run this would give you a bunch of additional info, mobo model no would be nice

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-processors.408900/
Relevancy 60.63%

I knew there was something else I wanted to ask I was looking through a booklet that came with m HP computer which has nothing to do with the ones I ve been trying to learn on and fix up and it tells all about changing the hard drive and A and CD ROM drives etc in the HP BRIO Adding RAM etc It tells how to change the processor if it needs this It question, more processors) One (about changing seems so easy Just take out and plug in mainly Now I m wondering if I could switch processors and if this would be something beneficial to do in some cases Like I have several non-working with some parts used from pcs that have Pentium processor I ve One more question, (about changing processors) yet to get one that s above the first The hp I now have has a Celaron The one I was just working on and got going that my daughter is using didn t have any Pentium kind It had AMD or something Just for future reference and saying I can even find One more question, (about changing processors) the actual processor in the pc could I One more question, (about changing processors) take out the Pentium one and put it in one that has another brand or older one Or I suppose BUY a Pentium or processor Or would it have to match the power supply or something I don t know much about them just from seeing pc ads and seeing little stickers on the pc case but would it make one work better and faster to have a Pentium or higher number one Just wondering Carrie nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi all.
I read somewhere that in order to improve the boot speed you need to go into MSCONFIG->Boot->Advanced Options...-> Tick the number of processors and select the correct number (2 or 4).

It didn't improve anything so I went back the unchecked the Number of processors, I then rebooted the computer and now I got blue screen and the installation disk isn't helping.

Any ideas how to fix it?

A:BSOD after changing number of processors

Quote: Originally Posted by Gil

Hi all.
I read somewhere that in order to improve the boot speed you need to go into MSCONFIG->Boot->Advanced Options...-> Tick the number of processors and select the correct number (2 or 4).

It didn't improve anything so I went back the unchecked the Number of processors, I then rebooted the computer and now I got blue screen and the installation disk isn't helping.

Any ideas how to fix it?

We actually need the DMP files that were created when your computer crashed. use these instructions to find and upload them. http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...d-problem.html

Thanks

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/84575-bsod-after-changing-number-processors.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi Everyone I just finished reading a post on processors and it showed me how to check to see how many processors I have running Start gt run gt msconfig gt Boot tab gt Advance options gt In the upper left corner it shows I have one selected I can click on the Number of processors box open the drop down menu and select Intel an on i3 of the processors number Changing up to four My processor stats gigahertz Intel Core i DX kilobyte Changing the number of processors on an Intel i3 primary memory cache -bit ready Multi-core total Hyper-threaded total Other stats are listed in my System Specs Some benchmarks I can share are Cold start Changing the number of processors on an Intel i3 to desktop ready minute secs Warm restart to desktop ready minute secs Shutdown secs American Megatrends Bios - - CPU temp C - F System temp C F CPU fan speed rpm No system fan Smart fan enabled CPU Voltages CPU Core V V V V V Fluctuates from to V VSB V VBAT V Not absolutely sure but I think the values are the settings and the figure to the right is the reading This is Changing the number of processors on an Intel i3 our first multi-core processor and being new at this I would rather ask questions first My DW always asks me if I have read the instructions first For now I am not looking to Overclock though that may come later but I paid for multi-core and I would like to use it My questions are What is the best way to experiment with this setting go up one at a time and observe the reaction Watch the temps right Since I only have two am I committed to setting the advance tab number to two or will the hyper-threading allow four Can my experimenting cause any damage The most obvious tip-off that something is wrong would be that the machine won't boot can you foresee any others If that would happen how would I get the machine to boot Can you suggest any in-depth links on processors and how they operate Can you think of anything I may have overlooked Until I return I will be doing a google search on the title of my post Among other things Thank You for reading and any help you may have to offer Anak

A:Changing the number of processors on an Intel i3

That is the setting for the number of processors used during boot, as in when you see the fancy windows animation. Once the computer is up and running you have four (technically two with hyper threading) running. Usually only one is used during boot-up. Only difference you'd see is a faster boot time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/101155-changing-number-processors-intel-i3.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello,I recently acquired a z600 with a quad core Intel Xeon E550 and I would like to know if it is possible/desirable to put my old z400 two quad core Intel Xeon W3550.I checked and both use socket b type soo I'd assume I should have a problem but as hardware is outside of my knowledge base I wanted to ask =)Thank you in advance

A:Changing my z600 processor to my z400 processors - CPU upgra...

Hi, The z600 series of workstations support Intel Xeon Processor X5570 QC 2.93 GHz, 95W, 8M cache, 6.40GT/s QPI, DDR3 1333 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor X5560 QC 2.80 GHz, 95W, 8M cache, 6.40GT/s QPI, DDR3 1333 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor X5550 QC 2.66 GHz, 95W, 8M cache, 6.40GT/s QPI, DDR3 1333 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5540 QC 2.53 GHz, 80W, 8M cache, 5.86GT/s QPI, DDR3 1066 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5530 QC 2.40 GHz, 80W, 8M cache, 5.86GT/s QPI, DDR3 1066 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5520 QC 2.26 GHz, 80W, 8M cache, 5.86GT/s QPI, DDR3 1066 MHz, HT, TurboIntel Xeon Processor E5506 QC 2.13 GHz, 80W, 4M cache, 4.80GT/s QPI, DDR3 800 MHzIntel Xeon Processor E5504 QC 2.00 GHz, 80W, 4M cache, 4.80GT/s QPI, DDR3 800 MHzLooks like they support CPU's with 80W to 95W. The Intel Xeon W3550 has TDP 130W .     http://ark.intel.com/products/39720/Intel-Xeon-Processor-W3550-8M-Cache-3_06-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI I don't think this is going to work. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Changing-my-z600-processor-to-my-z400-processors-CPU-upgrade/td-p/5854559
Relevancy 50.74%

We are using Supermicro Server which is installed with 4 processor of AMD (AMD Opetron 6000 Series) the server is having four processor sockets, please do clarify that windows 7 64 bit version will support 4 physical processor installed on the server or
not, or is there any patch which we can apply to the OS so that it can take all the 4 physical  processors.
What are the hardware limitations of Windows 7 64 bit ?

Regards
Bijoy

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fe6882f2-72fb-41d1-ab68-9bb2d04dab1a/windows-7-64-bit-compatibility-with-4-physcial-processors-amd-processors?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 49.02%

I was aghast for reinstallations of Windows 8 because of reasons unknown which ran operating system into trouble.
Now I know why this happened, because I selected maximum number of processors shown in 'Msconfig', which really doesn't exists ('Msconfig' showed 4 processors for Intel Core i3210).
From next start Windows 8 ran into trouble and within a day or two of using this desktop stopped responding, happened for all operating systems where I selected maximum number of processors shown in 'Msconfig'.
Therefore do not select maximum number of processors from 'Msconfig'.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f688905a-dbaa-4975-8659-d86c20a21dea/selecting-processors-in-msconfig-to-maximum-which-really-doesnt-exists-i-use-intel-core-i3210?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 49.02%

Why the strangeqe question?

you see I have a Dell XPS 15z laptop with a core i7 processor, 8 Giga RAM running Windows 7 Premium and I also have an HP desktop with a core two duo processor, 3 Gigs of ram running Windows 7 Professional but surprizingly the desktop runs faster than the laptop when I give them both tthe same task on Photoshop CS6 ( a processor heavy application). I feel that I have been cheated into buying the Dell laptop which at the time of purchase was expensive in the is country.

A:Are there any new processors that are faster than Core I7 processors

Does it use 100% cpu for a long time? (so cpu is the bottleneck)
Is it a multithreaded application, so are tasks split in many subtasks and use different cores?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/363860-there-any-new-processors-faster-than-core-i7-processors.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Im working on building a server and I need an AMD processor in it. Right now, im looking at AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX for $322. The purpose of this server is just a place that 4 computers can access. Its not going to be set up as a server, but just Windows XP without a monitor. Im running an intel pentium 4 on the computer holding the network right now, and it is doing fine. Sometimes its just a little slow. So, I would like a little better than a Pentium 4, but AMD. Also, less then $322. What can I get?

Thanks,
e39m5

Relevancy 36.55%

Okay.. here is one of those stupid simple things I never had to do before and can't figure out how to do it.. I know it's basic.. but .. I self taught so my training skipped around a lot.. sorry!

Basically I did a graph for a yearly set of values, not yet filled in.

My boss wants these charts to show percentages through 100% even blank, but it keeps defaulting to 0.something ranges.

For the life of me I cannot remember how to do this and on my search of the site was harry in trying to figure out a decent search range. Any help is most sincerely appreciated. I have a feeling it wil be a smack my head kind of thing.

Thank you!

Relevancy 36.55%

Howdy,

Does anyone know the reason for the price difference between the
following two AMD 9950's?

HD995ZFAGH BOX RETAIL $179.99

HD995ZFAJ4BGH OEM $289.00

I have been told that the OEM should be the cheaper of the two.

What am I missing?

Thanks Much
Chuck77

A:AMD Processors

Have no idea. How about a link to the site?

Perhaps the OEM includes a motherboard... AMD has recently dropped their prices (again) as their top in Quad parts don't sell as well. AMD's best market area is under $100 CPUs.

Recommendtion: Get the cheaper one

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-processors.750478/
Relevancy 36.55%

I have just been looking on the following web site to see if my PC can run certain games. http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

In the info I am given after it tests my PC, it says I have the following;

You Have: 2 processors running - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
You Have: 2.99 GHz Performance Rated at 4.49 GHz

How do I tell if I have 2 processors running, and can I make full use of them if I have two?

A:How many processors do I have?

Look inside your case. If you don't see two CPU cooling systems, you have one physical processor. You propably have one dual-core processor, and you're propably taking full advantage of the both cores.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-many-processors-do-i-have.740874/
Relevancy 36.55%

How does everone feel about them. Just asking because there is a notebook that I want and it runs AMD, so yeah.
(Please dont get mad at me, Im new at this)

nothing

they are fine, no better no worse.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-processors.73257/
Relevancy 36.55%

Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a 3.0Ghz Pentium celeron and a 3.0Ghz pentium 4?

A:Processors

Go here and you can see the specs on each processor you are trying to compare:Intel processor specs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.394671/
Relevancy 36.55%

what ia the minimal mhz of processor that u would advise to have for the use of b-band internet acsess as ive got a 750mhz processor and ive got b-band which seem to work ok but am i getting the full benifit for my money or not as i still have time to cancell my account if not so plz give me your veiws thankyoufor all the help i get.

Relevancy 36.55%

i still dont get this dual processor thingy....id like to know which is faster a pentium D 3ghz something or a core2duo 2.4ghz..for gaming use of corz! nid help fast...coz my dad's gonna buy me a new processor tomorrow

Relevancy 36.55%

Hello All, I have just recently aquired two processors, one is an AMD Sempron 2500+ 1.75 Ghz and the other is as AMD Athlon 2400+ 2.0 Ghz. Can someone tell me which of the two is the better processor? I really need to know... thanks ...

Relevancy 36.55%

I have currently an AMD 400mhz processor and an IWILL XA100plus motherboard. Unfortunately the motherboard cannot support processor power higher than 500mhz.

I would like a motherboard that can accommodate 700+ MB Ram. I would like a processor speed of about 1Ghz-1.5Ghz. I also need a heat sink and cooling fan to accomidate the power of the processor.

does anyone have any ideas of where i can buy them as a package

*ALSO*

could someone tell me the difference between a socket 7 processor and a normal one, would I have to get a special motherboard for a non socket 7 processor.

thanks
JA

Relevancy 36.55%

Good morning everyone I have been having a lot of programs with my windows xp computer Runs really slow and it is driving me crazy I read in here to update my drivers and programs and i have started doing that The question I have is when in my device manager I clicked on processors and it seems like I have two of them in there I was wondering if that might be what my problem is They are both the same exact thing say the 2 processors same thing on every tab Also I 2 processors have alot of stuff in 2 processors my startup and get really frustasted when I don t know what they are and 2 processors if they are ok to stop Is there a page I can go to where it will tell me what is safe to undo and what isnt I keep getting a message from norton saying I am using all my computer up and not sure what that means either One thing for sure is my computer crawls I can deliver my email faster if i print it and run it to the neighbors house Which is really bad Considering I have cable internet Hope you have a great day Thanks for listening hope to hear from you soon Revaa nbsp

A:2 processors

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

How much RAM does it have?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see what's auto-loading and running in the background and if any obvious issues need to be addressed

Go here and click the green icon to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Let's see what's installed and what may need to be uninstalled, updated, or replaced.

Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-processors.985834/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hey every one,

I heard from some one that he heard or read some where that usually in the techonolgy world processor speeds double every 18 months. He said that they well double to a 7ghz processor! He didn't know when they will double the speed he was just passing on the information to me. You know how powerful a processor like that would be like? You could pretty much run any program and game maxed out. (with other high-end hardware.)

Well, I've been looking into get a 3.0 ghz or higher processor and as we all know when some thing bigger and better comes out the ones down below get there prices lowered.

Does any one know any thing on this? What are your thoughts on it?

Bigk

Relevancy 36.55%

I have a Presario V6000 with AMD Turion 64 Processor. I am using XP w/sp2. When sp3 came out I installed it and lost everything on my computer. I had warranty on it so HP was able to talk me through a rebooting and reinstall of xp. I have been using xp since 2009 without sp3 but keeping up with other MS updates. I now need to install TurboTax but cannot as it requires SP3. I have installed HP's fix then MS fix which will not install. It says that "your system does not meet the requirements for this update. (9998). What am I missing?

A:sp3 and amd processors

and welcome to the Forum

Try this handy tool that disablers the intell driver in HO systems with AMD processors

https://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jes...ng-xp-sp3.aspx

and . . always backup any data you cherish before applying Service Packs . . If you have been running without SP3 for this long, you may have other issues than the intell driver problem

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sp3-and-amd-processors-637259.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi all
Recently i spotted that one of my processors is parking... and i don't know how to make it run... i have follow the steps in msconfig by changing number of Processors... but the computer still slow as normal, and task manager still show only 1 CPU running... so if anyone can help me, please let me know...
Thank y'all

A:Help about the Processors

Are you running any programs that will use the parked processor, could just be idle, try running some intensive software then check
If not sure you could always run prime95 on it which will stress test the cpu but don't leave alone while doing it as temperatures can rise quickly so be sure to monitor

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/333603-help-about-processors.html
Relevancy 36.55%

I would just like to know which processor get hotter. The AMD 1.33ghz, or the Pentium 4 1.5 ghz, thanx.

Gonna take a wild guess and say the amd runs hotter, the p4's need very good cooling.
But it's just a guess. They don't spec the same so to do a one on one comparision is hard.
Amd says 90 to 95 c for theirs, intel specs theirs at 72C.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.46346/
Relevancy 36.55%

This is now my 5th computer, that i have built. I have noticed one thing about processors and computers that i cannot stand. See i origionall got an AMD II 600Mhz, that ran really good, i could multi-task, and everything, then about 2 years later that computer barely ran. Then i got an AMD III 900 Mhz, and the same thing happened. ....... Now i got a new AMD 2200+, and it has been great for 2 years, and now it runs teribly, no where near what it ran when i first got it. Is there a time limit for how good processors run? I dont think its possible for a processor to become fatigued, as it is a piece of hardware and not a boilogical beeing. I reformat quite often, maybe once every 6 months or so, and update my bios as needed. Anyway if anyone has any answers, or is aware of anything i shoulkd be doing different let me know.

Relevancy 36.55%

Hello,

I am in the market for a new PC and definitely want one with at least a 1.0 Ghz processor. I am confused however by all of the different types of processors now. I have owned 2 PC and one had a Cyrix processor and the other an AMD. I haven't experienced much difficulty with either of these systems as far as the processors go, but really need some direction is determining what I want now. I believe the best is a Pentium 4, is that true? What is the major difference between the Pentium and Celeron processors too? Any help of references to sites with this information would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

Relevancy 36.55%

have a pc, dont know what make,do know its a dfi atx board. it has a slot 1 pentium 2 processor wanting to go faster, looks like it will support a pentium 3, where can i find these old processors or i there another way to go about this
Thank u all much and have a great day:

A:processors

You can find lots of interesting stuff for reasonable prices at http://www.computersurplusoutlet.com

Hope this helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.129992/
Relevancy 36.55%

I have a 1.4GHz TBird and its ment to be 1.4GHz but is more 1407MHz thats is very good getting extra without even overclocking basically Atlon XP is newer but seems to be crap like 2000 XP is reall 1700+ and 22000XP is lower so why is that why is 2000XP not 2GHz?

Relevancy 36.55%

Hello ! Am going to buy new laptop ,need to know the differnce between the AMD Athion 64-3000+ 1.8GHz;L1-L256KB and theAMD Athion XP-M 2800+ 1.60 GHz/128K L2 cache ,L1-OKB;L2-256KB ? also the Pentium 4. What oen is the best etc. ?? thank you all !!

Relevancy 36.55%

i've been hearing lately that AMD is due to release a 64bit Athlon64(clawhammer) cpu in september/october/november. i also know that intel is launching a cpu on the prescott core. will the prescott cpu be 64 bit too? also how will the new 64 bit processors affect the computing world. i jus got a p4 2.4ghz C system and i hate to see it go totally obselete in a matter of months.

A:64 bit processors

relax - your shining new CPU won't become out of date the second 64-bit CPUs appear.

I should expect that 64-bit will primarily effect the server market mostly, and will only trickle down to desktop level after some time. Although there are some operating systems already available for these chips (windows 2000, linux, etc) there aren't a lot of apps yet. 64-bit will become the standard one day - thats for sure - but it will take quite some time.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/64-bit-processors.6101/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi

As I start my merry journey into the 'brains' of home computing I was wondering if anyone has any information on the different processors and cost, compatability, performance etc etc in 1 document/Website......Basically I wast something that I can refer to quickly and then investigate further once I have the basic info for that particular processor. Many thanks.

it really depends what route you want to take from here, Intel or AMD, this is where your journey begins, i'm not that clued up on AMD, but i know quite a bit about Intel.

Firstly, a history lesson ;-)

I'm going to skip the first lot of processors that were pre-2000,

so, Pentium 4 and Celeron at socket 478, not really anything brilliant about these processors, if you ever come across a celeron, avoid them at all cost, these are described as "family processors", good for general productivity and not much else, Pentium 4 with hyper threading was ok, hyper threading on the p4 was a 1 core processor that simulated multiple cores, seemed to work ok but you could tell the difference when you multitasked.

now, moving onto socket LGA775, this socket introduced the first ever true multi-core processors on the mainstream market, with the core2duo and core2quad processors proving to be very good at almost everything, you could also get core2duo extreme and core2quad extreme processors which were for heavy duty gaming and multitasking(including heavy HD video editing), you can get a 775 socket P4 though, but with HT technology, and also the celeron family making an appearance.

now to the most recent socket LGA1366, this socket is exclusive to multi-core processors, with the likes of i3(2 core), i5(4 core) and i7(6 core) processors, the i7 family also incorporated an extra 2 simulated cores using intels hyper threading technology, which seems to work rather well, making it an 8 core processor, of course intel made the extreme family for i3, i5 and i7.

Now enough of the history, now to the present, it really boils down to what your poison is, Intel or AMD, so choose wisely and someone else could possibly fill you in on AMD's side of things?

MrNeeds

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/287061-processors.html
Relevancy 36.55%

I built a new computer a while ago, after a small problem that was fixed without too many problems I encountered this:
I'm not sure if its supposed to look this way or not... but I know I installed only one processor on the motherboard.

A:Two processors?!?

That's the way a dual core processor shows up...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-processors.556087/
Relevancy 36.55%

I have heard that AMD's processors help protect against viruses:

this is what it said that I was reading:

"All AMD64 processors, including the AMD Athlon? 64 FX, AMD Athlon 64, and Mobile AMD Athlon 64 processors, are enabled with Enhanced Virus Protection. With Microsoft® Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you will be able to fully utilize the security technology*. By providing extra security at the platform level, AMD lets you easily embrace the future of computing. "

I think thats kinda cool if this is True.. :giddy:

It's not True, it's Marketing.

There is some truth in there but not enough to get all excited about it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-processors.25439/
Relevancy 36.55%

Ok i will try and word this a bit better. OK i am building myself a computer. I am going to pick up the motherboard soon. I need to know what one to get. I am trying to think of what type of CPU to get. I can spend up to $350 Canadian ($287 U.S.) on it. I want to know what you think is better, AMD, or Intel. And if so what GHz and model.

A:Please help (processors)

Alex4 said:

Ok i will try and word this a bit better. OK i am building myself a computer. I am going to pick up the motherboard soon. I need to know what one to get. I am trying to think of what type of CPU to get. I can spend up to $350 Canadian ($287 U.S.) on it. I want to know what you think is better, AMD, or Intel. And if so what GHz and model. Click to expand...

350 on entire pc? or just cpu

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-processors.318298/
Relevancy 36.55%

hi
i havea p4 motherboard with a 462 chip slot and was wondering since the chip slot for this amd processor is 462 will it work or would i be getting into trouble? thanks John

Relevancy 36.55%

I have $1000au to spend on a new processor my 2 options are as follows.

Amd athlon 64 4400+ dual core (939)
Amd athlon 64 4000+ (939)

This is strictly for gamming only i already have a $300au motherboard lined up i just need help deciding on a processor.

A:Processors Which one is better!

For gaming the 4000+ would be better as it has a clockspeed of 2.4Ghz (the 4400+ runs at 2.2Ghz). Games are still single-threaded & will not be able to make use of the 2nd core on the 4400+.

That said, if you like to game while having MP3s compressed in the background or DVDShrink running, the 4400+ is the better choice.

Don't you like it when there isn't one clear answer ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processors-which-one-is-better.29669/
Relevancy 36.55%

I am considering an upgrade to my desktop which means a new motherboard and processor at least. I don't know anything about AMD processors. Would someone gimme a run down of the worst to best AMD processors. I want to use the computer for some gaming (halo, call of duty....), watching tv, and for music.

A:AMD processors

There are a few things to consider when looking at a gaming processor / motherboard combo. Are you looking to REALLY upgrade meaning dual vid cards, etc., or do you mean occasional gaming with decent game play. The cost difference is huge and the choice of Crossfire (ATI) or SLI (Nvidia) is important. I guess what I'm asking is how far do you want to go?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-processors.582930/
Relevancy 36.55%

my pc is a 2.2ghz AMD athlon 32000+....which is the equivelent to a 3.3ghz pentium 4...Click to expand...

That is what my mate said that to me on MSN and I was just wondering if thats true or not?

This is my first post but i have been visiting these forums regulary, glad to be a member

A:Processors?

Yeah, the AMD line uses a numbering scheme that roughly equals the Intel counterpart, hence the 3200+ being close to a 3.4GHz P4. It doesn't have that clock in megahertz but because its a good chip, in most games and benchmarks an AMD XP processor will beat a similarly placed P4.

Where the P4 shines is heavy multi-tasking, and when your encoding or doing some other intense number-crunching stuff.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.345353/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi all I m thinking of getting a new CPU and also I want to understand how CPU work so I have some basic quations I have made a list of some of the processors and the speeds I do not have all the information on the processors speed I can t find it at any book store or any of my books so processors New here it is From the first CPU to now first CPU made speed MHz MHz to MHz to MHz K to MHz pentim to MHz MMX to MHz pentim pro to MHz pentim to MHz pentim to GHz Intel celeron GHz to GHz pentim New processors GHz and can go up to GHz Top of the line CPU is GHz Top of the line AMD bit processor Companies that make CPU s Intel IBM AMD cryrix IDT Celenon is made by Intel Athlon and Duron is made by AMD New pentium when it comes out GHz and up I do not have any information on the list blow where it goes in the list above K and D and D or p Also is it true that the first CPU used in PCs hand a clook speed of approximately MHz If I was to get a CPU should I get CPU at GHz I think at this time the top of the line CPU is GHz Also is true that pentium when they came out it was GHz and the pentium can go up to GHz and than the pentium will come out Anyone have any information nbsp

Relevancy 36.55%

hey all

im looking into buy a laptop

and a mate of mine has told me to stay away from AMD processors.. now i admitt i dont know **** about computer hardware.
the laptop i had in minds processor states
AMD turion 64 X2 mobile technology (TL-50) 1.6Ghz

now hes telling me i should be going for an intell..

can someone shed some light on what i must be looking for..
i just need it to be quick.. doesnt need to be able to handle full to the brim with files and programs.
i will get at least 1gb of ram
i just need to be able to do a fair few things at once... i usually have abuot 5-6 windows open doing things...

any help would be much appreciated

A:help-- processors

There is nothing wrong with AMD processers in fact they were the industry leaders for quite few years
Intel has introduced the core 2 duo and has taken the lead as the fastest cpu's from Amd.
That said the AMD dual core processers are still pretty quick and could still be fast enough for your needs
Also because Intel core 2 duo are the "must have" at the moment it tends to reflect in the price you pay for machines with them installed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-processors.541070/
Relevancy 36.55%

Whats better to use a mobo with dual processors or just one?

G'day bonesaw2009, what were you intending doing with it and what kind of operating system were you intending to use and how well off financially are you?
If it is not a server application and you are talking common operational kind of stuff like desktop or common gaming kind of use using common windows kinds of programs you would probably be better off with a simple single processor setup.
Cheers. qldit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.387323/
Relevancy 36.55%

hello

how do I know if my intel pentium D processor is a 32bit or a 64bit?

or are all dual core processors now are 64bit?

Relevancy 36.55%

I'm picking out a new computer and needed some input. I'm leaning toward this one- AMD Athlon? 64 X2 Dual-Core 3600+

but this one is $20 cheaper- Pentium® D Processor 935 with Dual Core Technology (3.2GHz, 800FSB)
Is there really a big difference?

A:Which of these processors is best?

im not quite sure but i think the X2s are better then the Pentium Ds. The X2s are really cheap right now, i recommend at least going for an X2 4000+ or perhaps slightly higher. Get them while there cheap and still available.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/which-of-these-processors-is-best.78194/
Relevancy 36.55%

I am looking into upgrading my motherboard/cpu, and currently I have a 1 gig amd athlon. What I am wondering is what is the "rating" for AMDs processors..

Like I know with intel, its like centrino is best, then theres pentium, then like the worst is the celerons.. just wondering how the AMD compares, for like athlon, duran, sempron..

Thanks!

Relevancy 36.55%

hey guys is there a difference between notebook/laptop processors and desktop processors? if so can you give me a link for any notebook processors.

first i would like to say yess there is a diffrence here is a link to amds laptop processors: http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/notebook/ and for intel: http://www.intel.com/products/laptop/processors/index.htm?iid=laptop_body+proc

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processors.68282/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi, all. I have a noob question about my processor. I just bought a AMD Barton 2500+. It says that it's supposed to run at 1.833 GHz. I looked in my system properties, and it says its running at 1.10 GHz. I kow my motherboard can handle the chip. Is there a setting in my bios that will goose the processor to the speed it needs to be?

My specs are:
Win XP Pro Service Pack 1
AMD Barton 2500+
768 mb SDRam.
Ge Force 4
soundblaster Value
Biostar M7VIG PRO motherboard, 200 / 266MHz front side bus
Is it because the processor has a 333 MHz bus?
I don't know. Anyone that can help, I would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 36.55%

Hi guys. My current computer is 4-years old now and I would like to buy a new one. I'm looking to spend around $3000.00 to get a really nice one w/ good warranty, etc. to be safe. But, is there really a HUGE difference between a 3ghz and 3.6ghz processor? Btw, these are both Intel p4 with HTT

Relevancy 36.55%

DxDiag says that I have a "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz (2 CPUs)"

I want to know what this means, do I have two processors? Each at 1.86?

What's going on in there?

Relevancy 36.55%

I'm thinking of putting a 64-bit processor into my computer. Can I run 32-bit applications/OS's on a 64-bit processor without run an emulation program or taking a hit in performance (I heard somewhere that you needed an emulator that hogs resources)? Thanks.

A:64-bit processors

As far as I`m aware, there should be no problem running 32bit apps with a 64bit processor. And as for an emulator I`ve never heard of one being needed.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/64-bit-processors.31411/
Relevancy 36.55%

now pentume is no more i think ...

core2duo may be runnig

the i series is also running ...

what is the meaning of i3 , i5 and i7 ? just numbers ? odd numbers ?

or they mean something ? leave that the higher the number the better the processor ,, but why exactly 3 , 5 and 7 ?

also there is somthing like second generation and 3rd generations

are they sub divisions of i 3 , 5 and 7 ? like i3 is about three generations ?

is it true that in i family , we have multiple processors at the same time ?

finally , from my device manager ... why 4 lines are under processor head cutter ?

Relevancy 36.55%

I am looking to buying a new PC but I am struggling to decide between to processors. Either the i7-930 or the i7-870.

Here's the thing, they are pretty equal so its a toss up of what is more important. Please give me your input. Everything will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Btw: overclocking isn't an issue, if that's any help.

A:Some help with processors please...

I'm running the i7-870 on an Asus board. Assembled it in early August with no problems since.

I also considered the i7-930. The price difference of the chip and the x58 motherboard and RAM was more than my budget could handle.
You can't go wrong either way. There are other similar set ups to mine by users on the forum and others with the 930.

Price seems to be the major difference not performance.

I saved the money and I am well satisfied with the ASUS motherboard combo I have.
The 870 will OC to 3.8GHz with no problem.
I had to try it once.
Not sure of the limit but have heard about them up to 4.0.
So they aren't a dog.

Hope that helps
Mike

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/126808-some-help-processors-please.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi,

Ive never quite understood all the small things about processors and one thing that ive come across whislt looking at the new intel ones is the 2,3,4,6 and 8 MB at the end.

For example ive seen an i3 processor that was 2.26Ghz 3MB, and a i5 2.40Ghz 4MB.

The one that confused me the most is that i saw an i7 2.6Ghz 3MB and a i7 1.8Ghz 8MB, i thnk the 1.8 was more expensive!

Can someone explain this to me

Thanks

Matt

A:i3, i5 and i7 processors

The "mb" specification next to each of these processors is the amount of on board cache included with the processor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i3-i5-and-i7-processors.947358/
Relevancy 36.55%

i have a single core intel pentium 4 3.00 ghz processor. under device properties, it is listed twice, does this mean i have two or is this just a mistake?

(this sounds like a stupid question, but i know not the first thing about computers)

A:2 processors??

It has what is called Hyperthreading, it will show as two processors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

The only stupid question is the one that never gets asked.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-processors.899486/
Relevancy 36.55%

alright so im lookin to buy a new processor ive been lookin at an amd athlon 4400+X2 socket 939 or an amd athlon 4600+X2 socket 939.

heres the specs for the 4400+X2

Processor Speed + Class
Processor Class: AMD Athlon 64 X2
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
AMD Model: 4400+
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Physical + Memory Specifications
Processor Socket: AMD® Socket 939
Number of Processor Cores: 2
L1 Cache Size: 128 kB x 2
L2 Cache Size: 2 MB
Included Fan Type: ATX
heres the specs for 4600+X2

Processor Speed + Class
Processor Class: AMD Athlon 64 X2
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
AMD Model: 4600+
Bus Speed: 1 GHz
Physical + Memory Specifications
Processor Socket: AMD® Socket 939
Number of Processor Cores: 2
L1 Cache Size: 256 kB x 2
L2 Cache Size: 1 MB
Included Fan Type: ATX

as u may notice the 4400 has an L2 cache of 1mb x 2 while the 4600+ has a L2 cache of 512kb x 2
so im just wondering whats better for gaming. im an avid gamer. just wondering what would be better. thanks

Relevancy 36.55%

i want a fast processor for games. I looked around online and i heard that some processors get too hot and could melt. I just need a solid, fast, reliable processor for gaming.
btw i heard celeron wasnt for gaming why is that?

Celeron' lack the internal cache, and other command sets that are vital to a good gaming experience.

They are designed for entry-level consumer pc' where the only tasks performed would be email, web browsing, and music ...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.501911/
Relevancy 36.55%

I am buying a laptop and have pretty much decided on everything i want however the processor stage Help Processors with is confusing me I have always bought computers in the past based on their GHz my current desktop is GHz and i understand how that compares to others As i was browsing the Dell gaming notebooks Help with Processors the Duo Core processors were only clocked up to about GHz A similarly specced laptop with a Pentium Help with Processors HT GHz processor seemed relatively similar in price Does the duel core processor Help with Processors actually have GHz less power The AMD Turion from Alienware was only Ghz Does this mean it has Ghz less power I want to buy a computer with a processor equivalent or better to my Pentium HT at GHz and i don t care about weight or power I don t paticularly like the laptops i have seen so far with the Pentium chips because i am not getting the mb NVidia i want Help nbsp

A:Help with Processors

GHZ haven't meant much for a while and now they mean Nothing!

The Core Duo is likely better then the P4 3.2, depending on the exact model, but it should be a better choice.

The Turion will be just as good or even better then the Core Duo.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-processors.476043/
Relevancy 36.55%

Whats the difference between these 2 processors?
Intel® Core™ Duo Proc T2250 (1.73GHz/533MHz/2 X 1MB L2 Cache)

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5500 (2MB Cache/1.66GHz/667MHz FSB)

Relevancy 36.55%

So, I currently have a Sandy Bridge system that I built from scratch and am very happy with it. But before this, my old computer was ancient. (Compaq with an old AMD '64' processor, with DDR memory (not even DDR2) and an AGP slot.)

I don't ever want to get trapped with something that old again, so I would like to plan to regularly upgrade my computer. While I admire AMD for what they are doing, and I do believe it is good for mainstream computers, it doesn't seem best for what I like in the foreseeable future, so I know I want to make plans for Intel processors... But I can't decide whether I want to shoot for the tics or the tocs... or even alternate by skipping both a tic and a toc.

What do you think?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tic-toc-processors.168228/
Relevancy 36.55%

I have a Duron 1.3 at moment. I intend to upgrade and will be going down the AMD route.

Could someone please just list the order of speed / spec after the 1.3. I see there are a number of ones 333, 2200 etc. I'm just a bit confused which is which.

Thanks

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-10.html

The green chart is what i believe you are looking for..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-processors.371802/
Relevancy 36.55%

Hello all

I need help on this one i only have (4) processors.

What do i do with (8) this is not right.

Thanks for your help

A:Processors i7

Not to worry. With hyper-threading enabled, one would expect to see 8 on a quad processor.

James

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/119980-processors-i7.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Okay, now my question is: Can you run a 64-bit OS on 2-32 bit processors? Note: i don't want to try this, but in theory it should work if the OS can address both processors as 1 64 bit processor, correct?

A:64-bit os on (2) 32-bit processors?

No it won't. That theory falls flat on its face as you don't get 64 bit computing from two 32 bit processors. The processor either supports 64 bit or it doesn't. Same applies to quad core processors; it is 4 cores running at a set speed (2.4 GHz for example), not as a processor running at 9.6 GHZ (don't know if they are still there, but there used to be a few that tried to pull this scam on ebay).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/105909-64-bit-os-2-32-bit-processors.html
Relevancy 36.55%

Could someone explain what processors are for and what is a good one to buy with my new computer?

A:processors

A processor is the "brains" of your computer.
what is a good one to buy with my new computer?

Your question does not really have a definitive answer; it is too vague. We would need to know what the intended use of the system is to be ie are you intending on gaming, doing video editing, just email/web surfing, what?

It is somewhat like asking "What is the best car" Well there are a lot of cars and they have different attributes such as a sports car might not be the best choice for an area that gets a LOT of snow. If that were the case, a 4x4 truck would be "Better" than the sports car.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.1127006/
Relevancy 36.55%

Please can anyone tell me in layman's terms the differences between if any and if one is better than the other

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 2.13Ghz
and
Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor 2.13Ghz

Also what is the equivalent AMD Processor

many thanks

Brobilly

Relevancy 36.55%

I need a cheap laptop.Looked at two-both HP.One has a N2920 Processor and the other N3530.What is the difference?

A:processors?

Looked at two-both HP.One has a N2920 Processor and the other N3530.What is the difference?Click to expand...

Intel Celeron N2920 1.86 GHz (2.00 GHz burst speed)

Intel Pentium N3530 2.16 GHz (2.58 GHz burst speed)

The bottom one is faster.

-------------------------------------------------------

If you submit their model names and model numbers and part/product(P/N) numbers, we can answer your questions better.

Do both come with the same amount of DDR3 RAM?

-------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors.1139342/
Relevancy 36.55%

Does the intel sandy bridge(1x-2xxx)..or the intel Ivy bridge(1x-3xxx) processors support  HDCP ?? If not, please give me some info on ones that do...with a LGA 1155 socket config.  Many thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Processors/td-p/5587054
Relevancy 36.55%

Im lost when it comes to processors. Somebody please define them so I can make a smart choice

Relevancy 36.12%

I originally made one account with admin rights on my PC in June.

I added a standard account for my dad last week, but the only way I could customize the desktop and theme for him with larger fonts, non-Aero theme, fewer desktop icons, etc was to make his account an admin account also. Otherwise when I tried to open the Control Panel to customize things, I only got error messages saying stuff along the lines of "this page was unable to load". I also had broken shortcut images (generic Windows icons, no arrows) until I made it an admin account.

Now that I've made all the customizations I want to his desktop and theme, will removing admin rights and downgrading his account to a standard one screw up the customizations? Can I switch it back and forth if I wish to make additional changes or customizations in the future?

A:Changing account type - changing GUI and desktop customizations, too?

Okay, I guess I can answer my own question.

Switching an Administrator account to a Standard account does screw up icons in Computer - it makes them vanish, actually - but not those on the Desktop.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/313108-changing-account-type-changing-gui-desktop-customizations-too.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hello sevenforums I have a problem size changing personalization. changing in whenever Font settings with my computer i recently purchased Here is my story This all started whenever I wanted to change my text size different by changing my DPI Font size changing whenever changing settings in personalization. settings What I did was Font size changing whenever changing settings in personalization. right click go to screen resolution and clicked on quot Make text and other items larger or smaller quot From this I changed it to from I noticed it had changed my font size to the It then made everything SUPER small when I changed my theme settings Whenever I right click and go into personalization settings I do the usual customizing to my likings Since I want to save the theme I do so by naming it blah Now I want to use the blah theme by click on it and I do so Everything is fine and dandy until I right click my desktop to refresh out of habit This is the before and after of the font sizes Before After My workaround was to set a custom DPI setting log off like it prompts me to then changing it back to again prompting to do so It is so annoying to do so Help me It is driving me crazy and I have no idea how to fix it I cannot save a theme and change to it otherwise it results in the small font It affects all the fonts soon afterwards Like google chrome will be fine until i exit and restart the program Then a super small font follows

A:Font size changing whenever changing settings in personalization.

can anyone help please

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/239216-font-size-changing-whenever-changing-settings-personalization.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi guys I'm new here and I wanna swap prcessors with another computer which I have no experience on this at all.

What I want is to change my 1.86 core 2 duo(check my profile) to a 3.0 Pentium D intel.
About eletricity box I plan to swap that thing from that computer too.
What i need to know is how to do it(additional steps that I don't know).
Also my motherboard doesn't have a number(it's just an HP Compaq computer) due to straightly got it from HP.
Any Specs I might missed you guys need to know?

Relevancy 36.12%

What would be the better processor (same price)

1.8 Ghz Athlon
or
2.8 Ghz Celeron

I ask because I'm looking at two laptops that are exactly the same in just about every way, and this is the only big difference. (like I said, they are the same price)

A:What would you choose (about processors)

It depends FamilyGuy. If you'll use the laptop for casual surfing, e-mailing and watching DVD's , the celly will do just fine.
But AMD adds more L2 cache into the mix and that's always a better thing.
Another thing to keep in mind will be baterry life. I'll say if the AMD gets more battery life go with it ( again, bigger L2 cache and longer battery life).
For the record a Toshiba Satelitte ( with a celly 2.4 ) has a battery life of 2 hours.
HTH

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-would-you-choose-about-processors.212498/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi everybody :

I was looking at an Intel i5-4570 Processor on newegg.com. And, apparently, this model is sold without a heatsink / fan. ( newegg DID post an informational screen stating that a newer version of this model is available----the i5-4590 WITH a heatsink / fan. Question : In a scenario like this, without a heatsink / fan, what size would the heatsink / fan be ? Just for the sake of information (for later). And, I realize that WITH a heatsink /fan included, it makes installation that much easier.

thanks in advance,
garystan

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/intel-processors-1076242.html
Relevancy 36.12%

i have a HP pavilion a1010n with Intel celeron D and my motherboard is a P4GV-LA. i want to know which processors my motherboard can handle. im guessing only intel would work.

Relevancy 36.12%

i hope this is in the right section. anyways, anyone have any idea of some good processors for a program like autocad?

A:processors for autocad

Depends which acad you are using. For 2000 or higher, anything 3 gig or better, or pretty much any multi core, will be fine, and not give too much lag, unless you have drawings the size of a small town. At work we run 2000 uo tp 2007, and all run happily on a AMD 4000+.
At home, I run 2000 to 2007, on an AMD 5200+and a Q6600 quad core- both work fine.
Hope its useful to you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processors-for-autocad.635688/
Relevancy 36.12%

I have a Compaq Presario S3300NX Desktop PC. It has an Athlon XP2600+ 2.133 GHz AMD Socket-A (PGA462) Processor with Frontside bus speed of 266 MHz. I think the processor is bad and I have a chance to buy one at a very good price. The new processor is also an AMD Athlon XP2600+. The new processor says that it is a Socket A (462) instead of Socket A (PGA462), and it operates at 2083 MHz. instead of 2.133 GHz., and the new one has a Frontside bus speed of 333 MHz. instead of 266 MHz.
Will the new processor work in place of the old one????

Relevancy 36.12%

Hi there,

My desktop of 6 years old has finally died and I think it's time to get a new base unit...I am on a limited budget and have a choice of the following processors.

I'll be using the pc mainly for listening to music, surfing and watching films. I will be doing a bit of gaming but nothing to high end, probably a few football manager games and FIFA.

Which would you guys recommend from those below and what are the pros and cons of each.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 (2x 3.06GHz) 1066, 2mb

AMD Phenom II X2 550 (2x 3.1GHz) 4000MT, 7mb

AMD Athlon II X4 630 (4x 2.8GHz) 4000MT, 2mb

Thanks in advance for any help

A:Which of these processors would you recommend

Quote: Originally Posted by kersey

Hi there,

My desktop of 6 years old has finally died and I think it's time to get a new base unit...I am on a limited budget and have a choice of the following processors.

I'll be using the pc mainly for listening to music, surfing and watching films. I will be doing a bit of gaming but nothing to high end, probably a few football manager games and FIFA.

Which would you guys recommend from those below and what are the pros and cons of each.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 (2x 3.06GHz) 1066, 2mb

AMD Phenom II X2 550 (2x 3.1GHz) 4000MT, 7mb

AMD Athlon II X4 630 (4x 2.8GHz) 4000MT, 2mb

Thanks in advance for any help

Personally I don't recommend Pentium Processors because they are old technology now (they may still be quite good, I just don't recommend them). I would recommend in your situation an Intel I3 or I5 if that's possible.

I am not a fan of AMD processors but both of those seam to be adequate fo what you want to do.

As a rule of thumb, the more cores, GHz and the larger the cache size the better the processor.

Out of those three I would go for the AMD Quad core.

Oli

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/106115-these-processors-would-you-recommend.html
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi all, had reason to check my device manager the other day when i noticed that I have 2 listings under processor for the same chip. Also under ATA/ATAPI I have 2 of everything. Is this a problem ?

XP SP2 Pro
MS Office 2003
2x512mb ram
P4 3.0
2 HDD, main 80gb, secondary 160gb
gigabyte MB

A:Dual Processors ?

Generally this isn't an issue - but are you experiencing any problems?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/97575/dual-processors/
Relevancy 36.12%

As an Intel user, I'm only somewhat knowledgeable about the initial problems experienced when installing the SP3 upgrade on to machines running AMD processors.

I help a friend from time to time with a Dell PC that's running an AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 3600+. I hadn't been on his PC for a while and was a little surprised to see the Windows icon in his system tray asking for permission to install SP3. I know that HP makes a small app available that's to be installed prior to installing SP3. Is there anything I should do prior to installing SP3 on this Dell PC?

I should add that his data is backed up and I plan to turn off his antivirus during the prior to the installation.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

A:AMD Processors on Dell PCs and Win XP SP3

RonnieV:

From what I understand, Microsoft has fixed the AMD-related problem and doesn't allow the SP3 upgrade to appear in Automatic Updates/Windows Updates if there's a problem.

If your friend has SP2 installed and has kept up with all the post-SP2 critical and recommended updates, it's not mandatory to install the SP3 upgrade.

The same goes true for Internet Explorer. If your friend is using version 7, it's not mandatory to install version 8.

If you do decide to install the SP3 upgrade, by all means make sure to turn off the antivirus program first.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-processors-on-dell-pcs-and-win-xp-sp3.822205/
Relevancy 36.12%

This is a really dumb question, but I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me:

What is the difference between an AMD Athlon 64 FX processor and an AMD Athlon 64-X2 Processor? (Not referring to "core speed").

The information I have been able to find only shows that both are 64-bit dual core processors.

Thanks in advance!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/difference-in-processors.646959/
Relevancy 36.12%

AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 Dual-Core 3.00GHz (pair=quad) or Intel Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6850 3.00GHz

this is for my new build. i can't decide

Relevancy 36.12%

These new dual processors are a little confusing to me. How much faster do they actually make a computer? I'm looking at a computer right now with two 1.9Ghz processors. My current computer has a single 3.4. How do these two compare?

I won't be using this computer I am looking at for gaming. All I care about is having an extremely fast computer for music recording. What are the most important specs to look for in a fast computer? Would it be good FSB, Ram, and processor speed?

Relevancy 36.12%

What is the difference between celeron & pentium processors. Looking at new computers & there is about $200 difference & the difference is the processors & the one for more has 80GB HD & WordPerfect Office 12 versus the cheaper having 40GB HD & Wordperfect Productivity Pack. Which is the better buy?

Thanks,
R.Fritz

A:Difference between processors?

The difference is like the difference between a Chevy (Celeron) and a Cadillac (Pentium).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/difference-between-processors.260399/
Relevancy 36.12%

i cant find anything for a 754 amd socket mobo above 2.2 ghz i cant run my games at decent speeds. any processors out there that are above 2.7 ghz
cpu z processor report

Processor(s)

Number of processors 1
Number of cores 1 per processor
Number of threads 1 (max 1) per processor
Name AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Code Name NewCastle
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
Package Socket 754
Family/Model/Stepping F.C.0
Extended Family/Model F.C
Brand ID 4
Core Stepping DH7-CG
Technology 0.13 um
Core Speed 2009.1 MHz
Multiplier x Bus speed 10.0 x 200.9 MHz
HT Link speed 803.7 MHz
Stock frequency 2000 MHz
Instruction sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, x86-64
L1 Data cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Relevancy 36.12%

this is just out of curiosity really. But i should be getting a job soon so i'll be able 2 get some good upgrades for my computer. I'm more of an AMD person myself, thats all i've used before so may as well stick with that rather than going for pentium. Anyhoo i've spyed out alot of processors and motherboards and i just wanted to be safe, will any AMD processor go with any AMD motherboard?

thanx

A:AMD processors with AMD motherboards

No. You need to pay attention to the socket the CPU uses (Socket A, 754, 939, 940) then you get a board which has the same socket or you decide on a board then you get a CPU which can fit on the socket.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-processors-with-amd-motherboards.21687/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hi Everyone I m looking to upgrade my desktop s pentium Processors Comparing processor I ve found two possible replacements One is an i and the other is an i The i looks better duh but I m wondering if it is compatible with my machine Here are the two processors and the info of my computer Are both or either of these processors compatible with Comparing Processors my machine The processor I have http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E The i http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E The i http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E Comparing Processors System Info OS Name Microsoft Windows Home Premium Version Service Pack Build Other OS Description Comparing Processors Not Available OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer LENOVO System Model IdeaCentre K B System Type x -based PC Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU G GHz Mhz Core s Logical Processor s BIOS Version Date LENOVO DPKT A SMBIOS Version Windows Directory C windows System Directory C windows system Boot Device Device HarddiskVolume Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version quot quot Installed Physical Memory RAM GB Total Physical Memory GB Available Physical Memory GB Total Virtual Memory GB Available Virtual Memory GB Page File Space GB Page File C pagefile sys Also I don t if it is relevant or not I have an AMD Radeon HD graphics card I want to have this figured out before Cyber Monday when hopefully the stuff I need will go on sale Thanks everyone nbsp

A:Comparing Processors

we can't tell without knowing what mother board you have
in general any I5 or I7 use the same socket

All of those look like they use the same LGA 1155 socket so should work

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/comparing-processors.1113780/
Relevancy 36.12%

i was just wondering why there is a difference in the processing speeds of an AMD and an intel processor. i mean why does an AMD 3800+ equal about a 2.6ghz intel, or so i've heard. also what the hell is dual ddr, and whats so great about it?

A:AMD Processors and Dual DDR

:wave: Hello & Welcome to Techspot :wave:

These questoins have been asked quite a lot, and if you do a little search, you should find plenty of threads where the difference between AMD and Intel cpus are explained, and what DDR is, and how it is affected by Dual Channel...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-processors-and-dual-ddr.25669/
Relevancy 36.12%

Anyone have any information on duel processor boards, duel core processors? I am trying to find a benchmark comparison of them compared to a standard processor - I saw such as comparison recently in a magazine... but alas i threw it away thinking "I wont need that!".
Any help much appreciated

David

A:duel processors

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2410&p=7
The x2 is amd's dual core, the pentium d is intels dual core.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/duel-processors.28395/
Relevancy 36.12%

Hey Guys,

I was cleaning my fan housing for my Pentium 4 processor thing. I dropped it, then with my clumsy new prostetic leg, I stepped on it andbent the little prongs. I'm gonna get a new one, but I was wondering??? For waht I do--working with pictures, printing, writing, and cruising the Internet--- Is a Pentium 4 the best processor. My computer came with this one...it says it's a P-4 2.8 Ghz. It worked fine, I guess. I was just wondering.

I searched all over the site, but couldn't find anything that addressed this question directly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimi

Relevancy 36.12%

I feel like I've asked this question a couple of years ago here before but I went through my post history and couldn't find it, and don't remember if I ever got a solid answer.

Right now, I've got an ATi Phenom II X4 955 processor and a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard.
I plan on buying an SSD and reinstalling Windows 7 on it; even later in the future, I plan on buying a new motherboard and an i7 Ivy Bridge processor. All of my current parts (ram, PSU, etc) will fit into the new motherboard and processor easily.

My question is that if with my current computer, I install windows 7 on an SSD, and then later swap out my motherboard and processor for a new one and hook that up to the SSD, will everything run fine?

Thanks

A:Swaping out Processors?

It more than likely won't boot with all the hardware changes.
Sometimes it is possible to run the upgrade install for windows 7,
then install the hardware drivers,but there are no guarantees there.
It would be better to just do a clean install.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/swaping-out-processors.1045335/
Relevancy 36.12%

exactly what the title says. i really do not know what the difference is.