Windows Support Forum

Dual boot Ubuntu/XP - windows not booting + cant access data partition!

Q: Dual boot Ubuntu/XP - windows not booting + cant access data partition!

I have had an Ubuntu/XP system for a while now, but yesterday it started bluescreening just after the windows logo on every attempt to boot. Also, while I can boot into Ubuntu fine, I cannot access the data partition which is pretty scary! I havent backed up in a good few weeks.

I dont have a recovery disk to run chkdsk from, what can I do?

Thank you for your time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-ubuntu-xp-windows-not-booting-cant-access-data-partition.641502/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Dual boot Ubuntu/XP - windows not booting + cant access data partition!

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 101.05%

Hi I have a small query about this whole partitioning business I'm trying to set up a partition so I can dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu My computer came with a Dell Recovery partition and an OEM partition as well as the main C drive which are all primaries I've created a new logical drive which I've called Z with the idea being to install the Linux OS in that Ubuntu to dual-boot 7 a partition Windows up and Set chunk of the drive My first question First up I've formatted it as quot exFAT quot - is this the same as FAT Next question can I divide this 'Z' into smaller chunks with different formats or do they all have to be the same format I was hoping to be able to format a small bit of the drive into a Linux filesystem so that both OSs can be kept entirely separate from each other but leave the bulk of it as FAT so that I can see my files with both Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu OSs If this is not possible what would be the best way to achieve the desired result Thanks for any help McG

A:Set up a partition to dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

Hi McG, welcome to the forums.
I can't really answer your questions about Ubuntu, but I recommend you start by checking this thread at the Ubuntu forum. I would save it since you might come into those problems when trying to install Ubuntu in your disc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/45429-set-up-partition-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 95.03%

A long title indeed, but it pretty much sums it all up. I have installed Ubuntu first and then dual booted windows XP. I soon found out that the fact Ubuntu wasn't compatible with many programs (even through wine) I wanted only Windows XP on my pc.
I've searched many topics, but all described how to uninstall Ubuntu when Windows was the primary OS. In my case Ubuntu is the main OS and it dual boots with Windows and I want to rid myself of Ubuntu leaving only Windows.

What do I need to do to get the desired computer setup? Or is it irrelevant which OS was installed first and will a guide describing how to remove Ubuntu from windows work as well for my case.

Important addition: I could very well be the biggest computer-noob you've encountered thus far. So talk to me as though I am 4 year old

A:Uninstalling Ubuntu dual-booting Windows XP with Ubuntu installed first

shouldn't matter the install sequence if you want to only have Windows. Boot into Windows and then delete (from disk management) the linux partitions. This may leave your computer in a state where you can not boot into Windows. To fix this you'll have to boot off the XP install disk and boot to the recovery console, once there type 'fixmbr' without the '

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/uninstalling-ubuntu-dual-booting-windows-xp-with-ubuntu-installed-first.149005/
Relevancy 92.88%

Had win and XP working on dual boot with easyBCD for months Then had to wipe another drive so removed all connections in PC and wiped totally unrelated drive linked everything back up again and now windows won't boot up and the boot menu has gone I have three hard drives - Windows anymore 7 boot - booting XP partition dual Win and 7 not one backup one for XP and one with three partitions including win When i set the BIOS boot order to the XP drive it boots up ok when i set the order to win drive it gets to 'verifying dmi pool data' then asks for a boot cd I have rebuilt the MBR using partition wizard As you can see the XP drive is active and primary I cannot seem to set the win disk to be primary or active It also tells me Windows 7 and XP dual boot - Win 7 partition not booting anymore it cannot find a windows installation on the drive even though it is loaded onto E I have tried loading the win dvd and running the start repair several times but it does nothing I don't get what happened as all i did was remove all the hard drive connections then connect them back up a few hours later Any ideas I have spent four hours on it already and need help before i smash the thing up

A:Windows 7 and XP dual boot - Win 7 partition not booting anymore

fixed it! woohoo

this worked for me....

go here Visual BCD Editor - Windows 7/Vista
and get the VBCDE and follow instructions here Dual-boot Repair Windows 7/Vista
for automatic repair.

fixed my setup in half a second. machine booted back into windows 7 directly, then used easyBCD to add the winXP option to the boot menu and back in business. Both XP and Win7 on boot menu and both working fine. Woohooo!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/222044-windows-7-xp-dual-boot-win-7-partition-not-booting-anymore.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Hello I have Installed Windows XP like ages ago and then there was some error with the XP back then while booting up so I called up my technician He dual booted my system with Windows Ultimate I've stopped using XP since a while so after Dual XP partition removing Windows not from Boot Booting 7 I thought of removing I from my system The XP files and Windows were on two different partitions of same Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot HDD So I used Minitool Partition wizard to remove Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot the Partition in which XP files were there It even prompted a message saying that I may Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot not be able to boot if I format the specific Partition I clicked on continue and it showed me that the specific partition is in use and the asked me to restart it and minitool will delete it by itself while restarting And after it deleted the XP partition my system can't Boot Windows now I just don't get it I've even lost my Windows OS DVD to try repair the OS Can anyone help me to Boot into my Windows without losing any data from that Partition

A:Windows 7 not Booting after removing XP partition from Dual Boot

Why didn`t you listen to the message ?

You deleted your Active partition now windows 7 won`t boot.

Your windows 7 partition must 1st be marked Active, then startup repair must be run to write the system files to the Windows 7 partition.

Without an install dvd or a system repair disc, you can`t do that. You can easily make a system repair disc on another Windows 7 PC, all you need is a blank cd and a cd burner. But it has to be the same bit version (32 or 64) and Service Pack version as the version you are trying to repair.

Others may have another method. They will post it.

Or call your Tech

System Repair Disc - Create

Startup Repair

Partition - Mark as Active

You can also make and use a Partition Wizard Boot CD

Bootable Partition Manger | MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable Edition

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/388248-windows-7-not-booting-after-removing-xp-partition-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 92.45%

FIrst post here hope you can all help me I recently installed Ubuntu using Wubi on my laptop meaning I could run it from another hard drive without altering XP It worked fine the first time apart from the wireless card not picking up and working Someone suggested reinstalling so I did so During the installation something broke down and it froze so i restarted Since then the laptop has gone past the initial start-up screen and then gone blank apart from a blinking pointer in the top left hand corner I assume that the Ubuntu installation is corrupt and so start-up fails when trying to dual boot but I have found no way Boot Problems XP/Ubuntu - Booting Dual to get around this Due to this being a new-ish laptop I have no floppy drive for boot disks and a multitude of Booting Problems - Dual Boot XP/Ubuntu boot CD-ROMS have proved unsuccessful The last I tried was a CD to boot into DOS but from there I found no way to access the D drive second partition where Ubuntu and only that is installed Any help as to how to destroy any reference of Ubuntu and give me back control would be much appreciated I'll try anything

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/booting-problems-dual-boot-xp-ubuntu-157755.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I lost access to my windows 7 drive (Dual-boot windows 7 & Ubuntu). every time I try to run Windows 7 I get the message: Bootmgr is compressed, Press CTRL_ALT-DEL to restart. I could run Bootrec /fixmbr or diskpart or attrib to rebuild my mbr table through DOS command window using my windows 7 recovery CD. The problem I cannot access drive C: where my windows 7 are. I get the error message: Cannot open volume for direct access or system cannot find the drive path or specified. I still can access all my windows folders and files through home folder in Ubuntu. I don't want to reformat and reinstall windows. Is there is a way to run the DOS commands within Ubuntu or any other advice to how to fix this issue.

A:Lost access to Windows 7 Drive (Dual-Boot Windows 7 & Ubuntu)

Hi,

Please see whether the steps outline in this tutorial will be of help:

MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot Record

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/249212-lost-access-windows-7-drive-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 91.59%

I have Ubuntu dual booting on Win7. After the bios load, is there anyway that I can make Win7 boot right away without selecting anything on the OS selection? The same way it would boot without dual boot...if that makes any sense.

If the above exists: Let's say I use Win7 all the time, but one day I decide to boot into Ubuntu. Is there a way that I can press a button, before Win7 loads, to make the OS selection come up?

I tried to make myself as clear as possible and I hope that you understand what I'm trying to say.

Please ask if unclear.

A:Booting Win7 automatically, dual boot Ubuntu

Use separate HD's booted via the BIOS:

image or install Win7 to separate HD while Ubuntu HD unplugged,

set Win7 first HD to boot,

then if you want Ubuntu use the BBS key given on first boot screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/196028-booting-win7-automatically-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 91.59%

So i two days ago i installed Ubuntu on my Secondary hard Booting Boot Bad Ubuntu Master Dual (MBR) Record drive I already had windows installed on my Dual Booting Ubuntu Bad Master Boot Record (MBR) primary drive When i installed Ubuntu i didnt realize it at the time but i installed GRUB over Windows Master boot record on my primary hard drive that has windows installed GRUB has been working but i wanted to restore my Windows MBR on my primary drive and have GRUB only on my secondary drive and then if needed i could switch back and forth via the bios As of right now i have NO Master boot record At least not a functioning one I am getting the error Missing Operating System every time i turn my pc on I tried using my windows installation disk and repairing my computer unfortunately when it shows a list of operating systems it isnt showing anything I can then go and try to load a quot device driver quot while in System Recovery Options and i can indeed see that my hard drives are not at all formated I still have windows installed Also when i run the command prompt from system recovery options i can run fixmbr and other similar commands which say that they recognize windows is installed on a hard disk but having some kind of issue with the drivers for my hard disk So i tried to FixMBR and then i now think im not sure but i would think i need to get the drivers for my Hard disk or hard drive and install them in system recovery options But thats where im really stuck how would i even find something like that out What can i do Btw to recap i cant use GRUB or windows MBR I cant even start my pc unless its from win installation disk Anyway if anyone could help that would be great As for my hard disk im not sure what it is but i know this I have a Asus G JH with a Gb Sata drive that comes standard gb ddr ram and a mobility radeon hd and an i qm Thanks all help would be greatly appreciated

A:Dual Booting Ubuntu Bad Master Boot Record (MBR)

Obviously you'd need to start Win7 to be able to add EasyBCD which can configure a Windows Dual Boot with Linux distros.

The problem is that GRUB can corrupt Win7 beyond Repair when on the same HD, so using a separate HD is always a better option if you can do so. In that case, unplug the extant OS HD to install the new OS, then boot your choice via the BIOS Boot order or one-time BIOS Boot menu.

Now as to repairing your Win7. First mark Win7 or it's 100mb System Reserved (preferred) partition Active: Partition - Mark as Active (Method Two)

Next boot into DVD or REpair CD to see if it will now discover a Win7 installation. If not, click through to Recovery Tools list to open a Command Line to run bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /fixmbr then reboot.

If Win7 doesn't start, boot back into DVD/Repair CD to see if installation now shows up to accept offered Repair. If not run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times anyway.

You can copy out your files using DVD/Repair CD this way: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console or using Paragon Rescue CD.

You can see your partitions graphically and mark Active using free Partition Wizard bootable CD. Then click on Win7 HD to highlight it, from Disk tab select Rebuild MBR, OK, Apply to see if this will start Win7 which may preclude the need to run Repairs. If not, you can wipe the Ubuntu partition by rightclicking>Wipe. Now try the Win7 repairs again without the GRUB code on the HD.

If all fails, you'll need to try running Factory Recovery from its partition or disks you made or order, or find a Win7 installation DVD to reinstall following these steps to get a perfect reinstall: Reinstalling Windows 7

Here is the best way to dual boot Linux if it must be on the same HD: Dual boot Ubuntu-Win7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/194138-dual-booting-ubuntu-bad-master-boot-record-mbr.html
Relevancy 90.3%

Hi guys, I have Alienware 17 R3. I have dual booted with Ubuntu 16.04.

Now when I select windows in grub menu, the generic windows 10 animation shows up with 1024x768 resolution. Is there a way to restore my Alienware boot animation?

Thank you.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/69227-lost-alienware-boot-animation-after-dual-booting-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 89.87%

I installed a copy of the RTM version of Ultimate on a second primary ACTIVE partition with Vista on the first primary partition doing it this way allows me to get rid of the Microsoft Boot manager and use GAG to dual boot either OS and it works great My problem is sharing documents which I keep on another Logical partition labeled DATA Using My Documents on this drive in Vista has always worked fine When I booted to Win and quot moved quot My Documents from C User to D My Documents I could use the files no problem in Win but when I booted back to Vista and tried to copy or move any of the files on D My Documents from with Vista Booting DATA Dual Partition problems 7 and within Vista I get a quot you do not have permission to quot error when I try to do anything with those files It seems Win has taken possession of the permissions Dual Booting 7 and Vista with DATA Partition problems on the files and will not relinquish them to Vista Using XP and Vista in the same dual boot scenario did not have this problem Dual Booting 7 and Vista with DATA Partition problems What if anything can I do to resolve this problem

A:Dual Booting 7 and Vista with DATA Partition problems

Have your tried right click and "take ownership" ... you will have to be logged on as the Administrator.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/21856-dual-booting-7-vista-data-partition-problems.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Hello everyone I've made my Sony VAIO into a dual-boot machine Win -bit and Ubuntu Linux and I'm having trouble getting into the BIOS When powering up even though I repeatedly press and hold down the DEL key it always goes straight to the GRUB menu And then when I select to load Windows I keep pressing DEL but it goes straight to Windows It doesn't seem to matter how fast I am on the keys - I can't get into the BIOS I have a should I be trying to enter the BIOS before BIOS dual system) can't booting when Ubuntu Linux boot enter / (Win7 getting to the GRUB menu or after Also and this may be irrelevant I've checked my registry to determine what kind of BIOS I have HKEY LOCAL MACHINE HARDWARE DESCRIPTION System where I found that the SystemBiosVersion variable Sony - BIOS Date Ver I would have can't enter BIOS when booting (Win7 / Ubuntu Linux dual boot system) thought the BIOS would be something like American Megatrends Anyways is there any way I can get into can't enter BIOS when booting (Win7 / Ubuntu Linux dual boot system) the BIOS from Windows i e after Windows has loaded Do I have to remove Linux from my computer I hope not Thanks so much for your help and have a great day

A:can't enter BIOS when booting (Win7 / Ubuntu Linux dual boot system)

Best to keep in mind that the BIOS is completely different from ANY operating system. There is no connection between the two things, other than the BIOS handing off control to an OS.

You press DEL (or whatever key enters the BIOS) before any operating system begins to start up.
You can start pressing the key repeatedly (once a second) just as soon as you hear the POST beep or see anything happen on the display screen.
Once you reach the Grub loader it is too late. Start over.

You can't get into the BIOS from an operating system. You can only shut down and/or restart.
Nothing in the operating system's registry has anything to do with your system's BIOS, other than communicating with it initially.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/351475-cant-enter-bios-when-booting-win7-ubuntu-linux-dual-boot-system.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I installed Ubuntu on a older Toshiba laptop. When I boot up it asks me to select either Windows 7 or Ubuntu. I want to get rid of the Ubuntu disk partition and give that 2.9 GB space to my primary hard drive. I go into compmgmt.msc but I can't execute any commands on that disk partition. Any ideas?

A:delete dual boot Ubuntu partition and convert to primary hard drive c:

So you wanna get rid of ubuntu totally?
first tap F8 multiple times to enter recovery environment
select "command prompt"
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

-now the default MBR has been restored (don't know if ubuntu did change that)

diskpart
list disk
sel disk 0 (or 1 or 2)
list part (note the number of ubuntu partition)
sel part X (if X is number of ubuntu partition. be very sure to select right partition!!!)
delete part

try to boot. post output of "disk management" afterwards

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/219373-delete-dual-boot-ubuntu-partition-convert-primary-hard-drive-c.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I am going to install 2 versions of 7 on my HD. My question is.

If i install any files on one version of 7: updates, programs, patches, games etc.

Will the other windows 7 have access to these files? to change, alter and / or update them , any access at all?

Note:
"I am Dual booting on the same hard drive, on different partitions, not 2 HD's"

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/389564-dual-boot-2-windows-7s-partition-access-question.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Well nobody in the Ubuntu forums could help me so I thought maybe you fine folks here could. I have a 120 g ssd that I have tried several times to install Ubuntu on and cannot do it, no way , any way, whatsoever! I know the disks I have burned are good. I have a GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 Gigabyte motherboard. I have changed settings in the BIOS and any thing I could think of to no avail. I have dual booted Ubuntu on every computer I have ever built but not this one! Huh uh! Anyone have thoughts on this? It's totally unnecessary, I just like to play around with Ubuntu. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

A:Dual booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04.2

Try this - just substitute LinuxMint for Ubuntu:

Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/279680-dual-booting-windows-7-ubuntu-12-04-2-a.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Hello everryone!
I am running Windows XP and would really like to share the hard drive with another OS "Linux" and dual boot. Trouble is i don't have a clue so would appreciate any help or even a tutorial that this old git can follow. Thanks folks

A:Dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu

xlanou said:

Hello everryone!
I am running Windows XP and would really like to share the hard drive with another OS "Linux" and dual boot. Trouble is i don't have a clue so would appreciate any help or even a tutorial that this old git can follow. Thanks folksClick to expand...

Hello there i see you would like to dual boot with another operating system, this is a rather simple process.
Choose which operating system you would like to dual boot with windows (in your case this is Ubuntu)

Next boot off the Ubuntu live cd and wait till it enters the main desktop where it gives you the option to install it.

Then just follow the instructions, thats all I did and it worked fine.

When you come to the bit where you need to partition let Ubuntu do it automatically as i think that it does have that feature.

When you have installed it and rebooted you will get a grub loading message then you will get the chance to boot windows xp or Ubuntu and away you go.

Let us know how far you get and we will try and help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-booting-windows-xp-and-ubuntu.678323/
Relevancy 86%

Hello all,

I am trying to dual boot my laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 10.10.

I have shrunk the partition and made a new partition from the unallocated space (10GB). I then booted into Ubuntu with the live CD option and went onto GParted. I then tried to create a simple partition from the unallocated space to install Ubuntu on, but I got an error message saying that you can only have up to 4 simple partitions.

I have the following partitions:

What am I doing wrong? I'm not sure what's on those partitions, I didn't make them but I don't think I need them.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

A:Dual Booting Windows 7 Ultimate & Ubuntu 10.10

Tom
This may help with some of the information that you need:
How to delete OEM Partition | Jared Heinrichs
http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19329028.aspx

The OEM partition is normally to restore to factory specs, but yours seems too small for that and it appears to be empty; OEM is used by Dell and some other companies. In the case of Dell, you also received a DVD to restore to factory specs, so I would not be too concerned. Normally, it may contain boot information. Since your appears empty, this is not likely.

As for the other partitions, it appears that they can be deleted. To be sure of what is on them you may want to download:
WindDirStat to see exactly what is on them, if anything.
WinDirStat - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
They could have been created by software that you dowloaded.

Once you are fairly sure that there is nothing on the extra partions you can make an image with Macrium Reflect and try to delete.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Once you decide to delete, if you have problems, Partiton Magic may help. If that is a pay sofware, this one may also be of help.
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html

This recent post in Seven, may also help. I think that it would equally applicable to Vista.
http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...ml#post1163567

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286554-dual-booting-windows-7-ultimate-ubuntu-10-10-a.html
Relevancy 86%

I'm having some troubles trying to get Ubuntu bit dual-booted with Windows bit Firstly I burned the latest ISO from the official Ubuntu website to an GB USB formatted to FAT- using Universal-USB-Installer I then restarted my computer and changed the USB boot order to position proceeding to dual and 10 Windows Ubuntu Issues 15.10 booting boot through the USB and then selected the 'Try ubuntu' option The computer successfully launched into the Ubuntu operating system however when I selected the install desktop icon and have confirmed setup installation I am greeted with the following error Force UEFI Installation This machines's firmware has started this installer in UEFI mode but it looks like there maybe existing operating systems already installed using BIOS compatibility mode If you continue to install Debian in UEFI mode it might be difficult to reboot into any BIOS-mode operating system I looked around to find the cause I've tried disabling Fast Boot in the BIOS Issues dual booting Ubuntu 15.10 and Windows 10 and Windows operating system as well as looking for alternative installation approaches using Legacy non UEFI BIOS however the issue still seems to be occurring Could anyone help me with this please can provide more information on request

A:Issues dual booting Ubuntu 15.10 and Windows 10

This tutorial worked for me:

Installing Ubuntu/Linux Mint on UEFI System with Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...ndows-8-8-1-10

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/36742-issues-dual-booting-ubuntu-15-10-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 86%

Hi I was wondering if any of you know how to change the dual screen when the computer starts up as Ubuntu does not appear in the Vista + XP Windows Ubuntu + dual-booting option only Vista and quot older versions of windows quot appear but for some reason Ubuntu isn t there anymore This is how I installed I had partitions in the HD First widnows XP came installed with the computer then with ubuntu and some tools i repartitioned the HD in Windows Vista + XP + Ubuntu dual-booting for XP one for common files as FAT and the other one for Ubuntu That was working fine I had in the boot screen the choice between XP and Ubuntu Then came Vista that partition that was empty the common ground for XP and Linux i reformated it to NTFS so it could take Vista Then I installed Vista and now the only OSs appearing in the boot screen are Vista and quot older versions of windows quot Does anyone know how to change this so as to have Vista XP and Ubuntu in there Thank you very much for your answers Dre nbsp

A:Windows Vista + XP + Ubuntu dual-booting

Take a look at EasyBCD:

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

The download link is listed under "EasyBCD Links" about 1/4 way down the screen.

As always, backup first.

Randy
www.techguy911.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-xp-ubuntu-dual-booting.638015/
Relevancy 86%

My eMachines laptop with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04(LTS) has stopped booting un-expetedly after trying to resize the Linux partition. The Windows rescue disk is ineffective and Ubuntu does not reinstall. opensolaris installs from Live CD, but I cannot see my previous folders or files in Windows or Ubuntu.

Relevancy 85.14%

Hey folks please let me know if this is the inappropriate place to post this thread My laptop is quite an old model amp has none of the UEFI problems which plague more modern ones Moreover I have completely disabled Hibernate both through Power Options as 14 expand) 8.1 Booting (with & Ubuntu Dual room to Windows well as quot powercfg h off quot in elevated cmd exe Dual Booting Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 14 (with room to expand) in addition to dedicating a very minimal MB to the paging file in Virtual memory Of my single GB HDD MB is System Reserved while GB is Windows System partition of which GB is in use with programmes such as MS Office ' Chrome Firefox Java JRE SDK Malwarebytes CCleaner Skype amp GB of personal Dual Booting Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 14 (with room to expand) files - is this kind of space Dual Booting Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 14 (with room to expand) usage normal by the way Previously I had split the remaining space up with - GB dedicated to a NTFS Data partition which both Ubuntu amp Windows could access - GB for root - GB for home - GB for swap area same as my ram capacity This had worked pretty well but much of the home was empty and I had to manually mount the Data partition each time to work with the files media there since I stored amp accessed everything from there for both OSs Some time later I had to submit the laptop in for repairs due to unrelated hardware failure external speakers ceased to function on a laptop almost years old imagine that so I wiped the hard drive clean and now I have a completely blank slate to begin again Like before MB is System Reserved amp GB for Windows the rest is purely unallocated GB of space I guess about GB is required for the HDD itself to function So does anyone have any better idea of setting out the rest of the partitions GB of NTFS Data partition still seems like the way to go How about the Ubuntu partitions Maybe change to GB root and GB home as well as GB swap How could I make Ubuntu save data directly to the Data partition without mounting manually myself each time I'd heard of using symlinks but a refresher tutorial would be highly appreciated Finally if I were to have multiple installations of Ubuntu eg Ubuntu Xubuntu Voyager etc I assume I would have to assign them each about GB root and another GB or less home partitions while they can all share the GB swap area and save any actual data documents downloads etc to the separate Data partition I'd be very grateful for any input help of ideas to better manage all of this Cheers

A:Dual Booting Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 14 (with room to expand)

Unless you frequently update Ubuntu, having a separate Home partition is of little use. Besides, clean installs are generally a better route than upgrade installs. I've used only /(root) and /swap for years and never encountered a problem -- but then, I do clean installs, not in-place updates.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/63951-dual-booting-windows-8-1-ubuntu-14-room-expand.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I seem to always one into this problem every couple of months it seems.

I have a dual boot pc. One Partition has Windows 7 the Other XP. The XP boot looks like it got corrupted because when it boots it asks for I have to select "Last known good configuration".

I hit that it the xp boot screen comes up but it never gets past it. It looks like it searching for something that is missing.

I have EASYbcd but there help notes are not great.

Is there a simple way of fixing this with EASYbcd ? Or do I have to put off the Windows 7 DVD and fix it that way.

Thanks

Shawn

A:Dual Boot: One partition has stopped booting

Hello shawn306.

I'm going to post 2 links, it's said one is hard to get started with and the other is fairly simple, see if either is a help to you and be sure to post back with an update so we know how you get on.

How to Perform a Repair Installation of Windows XP

How to Perform a Repair Installation of Windows XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/103343-dual-boot-one-partition-has-stopped-booting.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I'm a long-time reader but new poster I am currently running Windows I want to install Windows XP onto another disc and have a dual-boot setup I keep Windows up to date and secure but for the XP partition I would rather not have antivirus running or even installed in order to limit background processes I will not be logging into any place partition OS boot partition access w/Bitlocker a dual encrypted Can if or making any credit card purchases when booted into Windows XP It will just be used for surfing games etc Further if and when XP becomes compromised or buggy I will simply overwrite the partition with a backup image If I use Bitlocker to lock down the Windows partition with the encryption key on a thumb drive and boot into Windows XP Can OS partition access a dual boot partition if encrypted w/Bitlocker am I correct in thinking the XP installation see or can't access the Windows partition If XP gets compromised can a virus access or write to the Windows partition Is there any other reason why this would not be secure Can a virus write to the BIOS Thanks to anyone who can help

A:Can OS partition access a dual boot partition if encrypted w/Bitlocker

Please, any response would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/249810-can-os-partition-access-dual-boot-partition-if-encrypted-w-bitlocker.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I ve installed Windows Home Premium -bit in a dual-booting system alongside Windows XP SP also -bit It was a clean install of Win My data in access Win7 holders computer to dual-booting data denying - ie documents music pictures etc - is stored on a second hard drive and after installing Win I relocated its documents music pictures videos and downloads folders to the relevant locations on the second hard drive so that this data could be accessed from both Win and WinXP Trouble is when go back into WinXP and attempt to open one of these folders say the music one a box pops to tell me that quot D Steve My Music is not accessible Access is denied quot It would appear therefore that Win is locking these folders in some way or other To see if it made a difference I went back into Win7 denying access to data holders in dual-booting computer the properties of the music pictures etc folders in Win and switched them back to the default location which is of course on the C-drive Rebooting into WinXP however I found that the folders were still inaccessible How do I configure Win so that my data folders are in the location I want without also preventing my Win7 denying access to data holders in dual-booting computer other operating system from being able to access them I ve no wish to set up a network throughout the house I just want to Win7 denying access to data holders in dual-booting computer access these folders on the same machine whether I m using Win or WinXP nbsp

A:Win7 denying access to data holders in dual-booting computer

When you are booted into XP is the D: drive really where the data is or is it the partition containing Windows 7? If the latter you cannot access "My Music" because it is some kind of place holder to make some older applications work; you should be able to access D:\Users\Steve\Music.

If D: really is the data drive, did you store your music with that identification? Is Steve also your user account on the XP machine?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win7-denying-access-to-data-holders-in-dual-booting-computer.876782/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hello I have no idea where to start a friend of mine sent me a link for Windows Pro link it's not original nor cracked it's just non-activated it kept asking me for activation key that's not the problem tho I have windows already downloaded the iso he sent me I tried to extract it into a flash tried to boot from it it didn't work I said why not extracting it I did and opened setup exe and installed windows successfully And I could dual-boot normally I went back on windows backed up my files into another partition renamed the partitions into Windows Windows Others backup and went to windows and started restorting from the new parition after all I went to delete windows in a stupid way by deleting the Data [Urgent] "Boot configuration wrong Dual booting went Windows partition it didn't work fully [Urgent] Dual booting went wrong "Boot configuration Data some folders stayed as Windows [Urgent] Dual booting went wrong "Boot configuration Data Windows old etc so I went to windows partition to extend it since I deleted lot of gbs off the windows partition I've done so and [Urgent] Dual booting went wrong "Boot configuration Data there was option saying to make it primary parition althought it was checked on windows I checked on it and it went unchecked on windows I didn't care much and it asked for reboot and I did And here's the problem it cannot boot anymore It gives this error quot The Boot configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors quot I certainly don't have any idea where this problem was made because there's like mistakes - Resizing and moving location of partitions - Trying to delete windows Or I really don't have an idea all I want now is delete windows except folder which I couldn't transfer because of the size of it and run windows normally as it was I've been googling for hours all they say it instert the disk and go to repair the problem is I don't have a CD And all I have is extracted iso on my flash which doesn't boot it says No OS was found I tried to burn the folders into iso again then do isotoflash it says there's no BOOT folder or files in it and yeah there's no boot folder May you please say what to do Someone suggested me to use gparted live so I can play with the partitions and fix them would it work And how can I quot play quot with the partitions and other suggestion was that someone upload recovery cd so I can download it or find a way to fix how to put windows on the flash Sorry for the long thread and please this is urgent since I have important project which I must work on this week

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/19076-urgent-dual-booting-went-wrong-boot-configuration-data.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Acer Desktop PC Model AM sis ethernet adapter webstar dpx series cable in Ubuntu No Boot 9.10: Vista Ubuntu Connection Dual and Internet modem After setting up a dual Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu boot system successfully Vista connects to internet via ethernet Ubuntu does not sis ethernet driver is updated to latest version I can access the internet from Ubuntu however after shutting down the pc unplugging the power cord removing the cmos battery and reinstalling I reinsert the power cord and boot up as normal into Ubuntu and have full access to internet Simply removing reinserting ethernet cord removing reinserting pc or cable modem power cord or resetting cable modem does not work I am asking if there is a solution as to where I can log off Vista and restart pc into Ubuntu and have internet access automatically bypassing Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu all these steps I ve explained After perusing multiple forums where people have described similar if not same issues I ve yet to find a solution to this I ran ipconfig in Vista and have the results I ran ifconfig in Ubuntu and have the Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu results As these results may contain information that can present a vulnerability regarding system ip identification I have omitted them here If needed I will respond via personal message with the contents Thank you in advance for your continued contributions in aiding the computer world quot handicapped quot nbsp

A:Dual Boot Vista and Ubuntu 9.10: No Internet Connection in Ubuntu

Ubu 9.10 has known issues

If you are using Ubuntu 9.10, it has known issues with the built-in Network Manager and DSL modems (and presumably Cable modems as well)..

Currently, there is no fix (short of going back to 8.10 or hoping it is fixed in Ubu10 due out in April (iirc). Sorry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-vista-and-ubuntu-9-10-no-internet-connection-in-ubuntu.142344/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi a couple of months ago my system crashed windows wouldnt boot and I boot, help 7 wont Win disk doesnt boot, startup Ubuntu , windows dual misplaced my installation disk I had Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help the problems several times since obtaining the computer several years ago Lenovo IDeaPad y I attributed the problem to what I believed was a bad hard disk so I replaced it with a refurbished model I installed Ubungu and it worked well ever since I later located my win disk and created a dual boot Windows worked very well for several months until it stopped starting up last week It would get to the black windows screen where it says starting and usually get stuck there I would get fed up and turn it off after half an hour Once it was as the screen and it later started the checkdisk program and found no errors Another time it finally got into windows after a very long loading time and it seemed to work fine until the next time I restarted windows It just went back to the loading windows screen I formatted the windows partition through GParted in Ubuntu and tried the installation disk and it would get stuck at in the quot expanding files quot sequence After an hour of hoping something would happen I got fed up and forced it off again Not sure what to do from this point I have read other posts and it has led me to think that the issue could possibly be bad RAM or an issue with BIOS But Ubuntu has been working fine while Windows has simply been freezing at any attempt of a startup

A:Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help

It could be that the HDD has a bad sector in the Windows partition, or that the drive is actually failing. If there is a utility in Linux that tests memory, I would run it.

You could also use Memtest86+. It runs from a CD/DVD. Let it run for several passes to rule out bad RAM.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/342483-win-7-ubuntu-dual-boot-windows-wont-boot-startup-disk-doesnt-help.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Just curious, but is there option for me to enable uefi boot of my Windows 10 Professional installation on my HP xw6600 dual quad core E5450 machine which holds two Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, one for Windows 10 and the other completely for Ubuntu LTS 16.04.When possible,  how to go about it. How do I enable this option. Yours truly, 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/enabling-secure-uefi-boot-Windows-10-dual-boot-with-ubuntu/td-p/5631758
Relevancy 79.55%

I wanted to set up Ubuntu on my computer and followed the instructions in the first answer to this thread dual boot - How to install Ubuntu alongside Windows - Ask Ubuntu As instructed I created a logical partition using EaseUS software I did this on my H drive a hard disk drive whereas Windows was installed on C and SSD After a mandatory reboot for the new partition changes I did not immediately go to install Ubuntu although I had Live USB to do so - Ubuntu to Dual Wanted Won't Boot Boot and Win7 Anymore Windows Instead if I remember properly I booted into Windows to make sure everything was Wanted to Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu - Windows Won't Boot Anymore OK but only to find out that some quot Windows could not boot properly quot giving me the option to 'Launch Startup Repair' - which I did but to no avail All it did was reported that some system files were missing or corrupt I then installed Ubuntu on a third drive because I still needed it to perform some benchmarking I did this using the 'install alongside windows ' option But now that I don't need Ubuntu anymore all I am interested in is getting back to Windows while keeping all the files and programs intact How should I go about fixing this Delete the logical partition on the other drive I also have that Windows installation CD and I'm thinking its repair options could be useful - but not having a whole lot of self-confidence I don't know what steps exactly to take to preserve my files Any help is greatly appreciated Edit I booted from the Windows installation disk just to see the options available and when selecting the 'Repair Windows' option I got a message saying quot this version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows quot The CD is definitely matching the version of windows I want to install but a problem might me that my Windows and the CD are the OEM versions which I've read can't be used to perform upgrades

A:Wanted to Dual Boot Win7 and Ubuntu - Windows Won't Boot Anymore

Hi I Am User,

Upon inserting the Windows installation disk you should be able to install a new Windows and be able to select Upgrade and it should create the Windows.old folder on the new Windows.

Cheers
Boris

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/387451-wanted-dual-boot-win7-ubuntu-windows-wont-boot-anymore.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello I am running Windows Vista SP on a Lenovo X tablet machine I a gone lost - a partition boot awry system Parition data all on dual on management am dual booting Vista Parition management gone awry on a dual boot system - lost all data on a partition with Ubuntu So here is the situation - I had four partitions for Vista c d e and f F drive was just some MB partition that I had to keep there after I had tried to move and merge partitions with Paragon Partition Manager a few months ago I had tried to merge F with D as F showed adjacent to D instead of E in the partition chart but when I did that and restarted the system the system did not boot I had dual boot then too I was trying to find out the problem so I used Paragon Partition Manager from Hiren s Boot Disk and reverted the changes I had made merging D and F and everything was fine - I was able to boot fine This is all a recollection of activity I did a few months ago A week ago I tried to do the same hoping it would work this time but ended up in the same situation What was worse this time was that Hiren s Boot Disk did not load some CDROM drivers so I could not access Paragon Parition manager or any other partition manager in that CD and I could not revert the changes I tried another boot disk Ultimate Boot Disk but it also failed to download CDROM drivers I don t get why it would not now when it worked fine a few moths ago In addition to this I could not boot Vista At some point after - hours Ubuntu did not boot too So I reinstalled GRUB the bootloader and I was able to boot into Vista as well as Ubuntu Interestingly when I booted in to Vista I got the Paragon Partition Manager screen with the changes I had wanted to make - merging D and F There was no option for me to revert or cancel the changes so the only thing I could do to pass that screen was ot click quot Ok quot which I did After that task was completed I booted into Vista After booting there was no F drive just one D drive but the problem is it shows as just a drive with no data on it and unformatted too So when I double-click on D drive to open it it asks me if I want to format the drive I do have backup of that drive but it is not the most current and I looked at the backup I have and found that there is much more that I am missing in the backup so I need to have the lost data on D recovered somehow It seems to me I will have to dig deep into partition tables and stuff but I am not adept with all that I am hoping I could change some file which would show the D drive with all my data in it - something like this worked for me in Ubuntu Linux I would truly appreciate if someone could please guide me step-by-step in solving this problem I need to have the data on that drive back as it is important for work Thanks a lot I am attaching two screen shots one with E drive clicked on in Paragon Partition manager and one with D the problem drive clicked on Keith nbsp

A:Parition management gone awry on a dual boot system - lost all data on a partition

Anyone, please? Thanks.

Keith.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/parition-management-gone-awry-on-a-dual-boot-system-lost-all-data-on-a-partition.719953/
Relevancy 79.12%

After deleting the partition on which Ubuntu was installed and enlarging the windows partition to fill the old space at the same time( stupid I know), I am unable to boot to Windows 7. All I see is a command line message that says Unknown File System and on the next line says Grub Rescue> with the option to input commands. After looking at this forum and Ubuntu forums I'm still unable to resolve the issue. I would like to be able to boot into windows 7.

A:Unable to boot Windows 7 after unistalling Ubuntu Dual boot

You'll have to restore your Master Boot Record. See this tutorial:

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/132252-unable-boot-windows-7-after-unistalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi there Recently got a HP Pavilion g sa which came with Windows spit and this disgusting UEFI BIOS replacement double spit Anyway I need to dual boot Ubuntu on my system so I installed Ubuntu Normally on a non UEFI system a Grub bootloader installed by Linux would take Boot 8 Order and Dual Ubuntu on Boot Changing Windows over the startup process and allow you to choose between Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu either Windows or Ubuntu on startup nbsp However on this computer startup is just booting straight to Windows despite the fact that Ubuntu and Grub IS installed Now upon startup if I press F then I get to change the boot-device on a one-time basis I can either select OS Boot Manager which loads Windows or Ubuntu which loads the Grub bootloader which allows me to select Windows or Ubuntu However when I press F to enter the Bios Setup with the intention of changing the boot order permanently the Ubuntu option isn't there Instead it has OS Manager USB Disk CD Rom USB CD Rom and Network Card Thanks HP for the crappily designed BIOS Anyway can anyone PLEASE provide me a way of changing the boot order so that GRUB is loaded first and NOT this crap Windows rubbish that I would happily bin if I didn't need it for work nbsp

A:Changing Boot Order on Dual Boot Windows 8 and Ubuntu

Looks like HP forums are just as useful as HP customer service and HP computers - i.e., not very useful at all.Problem solved though. Took the piece of crap back for a full refund and won't be buying HP again.Happy days.Bye.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Changing-Boot-Order-on-Dual-Boot-Windows-8-and-Ubuntu/td-p/2503733
Relevancy 79.12%
A:Dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04?

Once I had Windows 10 RTM dual booting with Linux 17.2. No issue whatsoever.

Here is a tutorial on dual booting Win 10 and Ubuntu 15.04
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/d...th-screenshots

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/46847-dual-boot-windows-10-ubuntu-16-04-a.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hp envy 6 sleekbook 6z 1100 I have already disable the secure boot in the BIOS But I still cannot install the ubuntu 13.04 The installation was good and smooth But after reboot, there is no boot menu appear for me to choose which OS I want to boot I wonder if HP locked something......... or should I turn on Legacy support in the BIOS? But ubuntu 13.04 should support EFL BIOS I need Ubuntu for work!

Solved!
View Solution.

A:How to dual boot ubuntu and windows 8?

Hi, The following tutorials will help:   http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-and-linux.htm  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNCSbTyUzoM Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-and-windows-8/td-p/2625383
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi! i am trying to get an old Panasonic toughbook (2 GB RAM ) going with a dual boot of the latest Ubuntu and windows 7 ... how exactly would i go about doing this on a completly blank new hardrive , thanks!!!

A:Ubuntu and Windows 7 dual boot ?

Dual Boot - Windows 7 and Linux

Where to install ubuntu in my system?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/344071-ubuntu-windows-7-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I want to use Windows 8 Pro and Ubuntu 13.04 on a single machine.How do I achieve this in a stable manner?
I want to use Ubuntu as a backup OS if Windows 8 ever crashes.Kindly suggest the best possible and optimum solution with detailed steps.

A:Need to dual boot Windows 8 Pro and Ubuntu

Hi,
A very clear step by step guide here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Hope this helps.

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-dual-boot-windows-8-pro-and-ubuntu.1107731/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi everyone,
I have a Windows 7 OS installed on a SATA drive, A few days ago I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on an IDE drive. So far the only way is to switch the HDD drives in BIOS to boot up the one I want. Can anyone help me here.

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual-boot

do you want to dual boot them off the same hard drive?
I do the same swapping thing for 7 and Vista, but I have to take the side off the case and switch the cables as my bios doesn't support multiple hard drives

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/157419-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.12%

My Windows/Ubuntu of Dual Getting Rid Boot PC has two hard drives The first hard drive is running Windows XP Professional sp and the second hard drive has Ubuntu Linux in a dual boot Getting Rid of Windows/Ubuntu Dual Boot configuration This means that I have something called Grub which causes a menu to come up so that I can select which of Getting Rid of Windows/Ubuntu Dual Boot the two OS s I want to load The default is Windows XP Professional I recently got interested in running Microsoft Virtual PC and would like to set it up to run Ubuntu Linux That way I don t have to worry about dual-booting anymore and I can gain access to my GB second hard drive from within Windows XP I did a little research on how to uninstall Ubuntu without harming Windows XP But the problem I am running into is that there seems to be two ways of doing it Go into the Win XP Recovery Console and run FIXMBR after which the Grub boot menu will go away and I can format my second hard drive Or Go into the Win XP Recovery Console and run FIXBOOT then FIXMBR after which the Grub boot menu will go away and I can format my second hard drive So which is it FIXMBR only Or FIXBOOT first then FIXMBR Any help would be greatly appreciated RamFel

A:Getting Rid of Windows/Ubuntu Dual Boot

I'm nearly positive it doesn't matter. As long as you uninstall Ubuntu first.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/getting-rid-of-windows-ubuntu-dual-boot-340327.html
Relevancy 79.12%

A few days ago I could not access my Windows XP because of this error quot Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt Windows System Config System quot I was still able to access Ubuntu through the Dual boot startup menu I accessed the Internet using Ubuntu to ask for help fourms I tried all the suggestions for Recovery Repair using my Windows XP installation disk and it appeared to have fixed my problem but now it is asking me for my Administrator Password I used or entered my Admin Password yet it won t let me in When I ask for help on the Internet with boot, Dual Windows/Ubuntu that everyone thinks I am trying to break in to someone else s computer and I get no responses or negative Dual boot, Windows/Ubuntu responses It seems that I may have to do a clean Install of my Windows XP My concern now is if the Dual Boot menu that directs me to either OS will be wiped out when I do a clean install of Windows XP BTW Windows XP is solely on the C Drive and Ubuntu is on the D Drive Each drive is Dual boot, Windows/Ubuntu GB Any final suggestions before I do the clean install As you can see I am very hesitant in doing this One final note I was able to access some important files from my C Drive through Ubuntu and save them on my Flash Drive Thanks nbsp

A:Dual boot, Windows/Ubuntu

dual boot

After two days I finally solved my problem. No thanks to anyone on this forum.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-boot-windows-ubuntu.115109/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi,

I have my Windows 8 installed in my C drive and it is the only OS I have as of now. I want to install Ubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows 8. But I have read so many negative things with regards to problems in booting after installing Ubuntu alongside Windows 8.

My Win 8 is installed in UEFI mode.

I am posting a screenshot of disk management
Will installing Ubuntu 12.04 cause any problems in booting?

A:How to dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 8?

1) Windows 8 is not install in UEFI mode.

2) I would wait until the end of April to install Ubuntu, as version 13 will be out, which should work better with Windows 8.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/23445-how-dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Forum admin please bump this if you feel it is in the wrong local grin I recently tried loading Ubuntu onto a separate drive on boot 7 dual and Windows Ubuntu my computer All went well except for the boot process Upon booting I no longer was brought to the normal dual boot screen instead I now got what I beleive to be the Linux boot screen From here I was able to still load windows with a few more steps What didn't like was the Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot thought that Ubuntu took over I did some research and figured I should reinstall it I went to the Windows partition and formatted the section that had Ubuntu on it Much to my surprise Ubuntu loaded itself on the same HDD as Windows Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot I formatted the section holding Ubuntu and restarted the system to this problem grub loading error unknown filesystem grub rescue So here I' stuck The only ability I have is to get into bios and change my boot devive I need help retrieving Windows Thank you Tom

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot

Hi Tom

Do you have a windows 7 repair disk? If you do, then boot from the disk (by using your computer Bios). Once the disk has loaded you can do a system restore as it restores your computer to an earlier point in time before your computer crashed.

A similar problem happened to my computer (with Linux Mint) and I used that method to restore windows 7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/75536-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Ok so what i have is Windows 7 RC installed to my hard drive. I have a seperate partition which i would like to install Ubuntu on. Granted i could just go ahead and straight install but then i would be using the Grub bootloader and i don't want to.

What is my best option? That NeoGrub thing?

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu Dual Boot

Don't forget that *nix uses more than one partition. It's been a real long time since I installed and used any version, but I think by default it uses one each for boot, system and paging. So you may want to consider that.

A possible way to do what you want might be to install Ubuntu, then boot to Windows 7 using Grub. Then use EasyBCD manage bootloader tab to reinstall the Vista bootlader.

I never tried to use that before, so if it doesn't work out, don't blame me. Get a second opinion about this, first.

Good luck. Final thought: I'd probably use an entirely different physical drive to install Ubuntu to, while the 7 drive was unplugged. Then you could just add Ubuntu to 7 bootloader later on.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/10599-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hello all First off if this is in the wrong 7 dual boot? Windows Ubuntu and forum I apologize OK what I am trying to do here is have my computer dual boot Windows and Ubuntu I have Windows installed on my original hard disk I bought a second hard disk last week and installed Ubuntu on it I am trying to get my computer to be able to boot both of Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot? them I want to have the Windows hdd be the primary boot with the Ubuntu hdd be the option To get the Windows hdd to work I have to completely remove the Ubuntu hdd If the Ubuntu Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot? hdd is installed the Windows hdd will not boot The computer will start up and - seconds later it will restart and freeze at the quot Starting Windows quot screen If I put the Ubuntu hdd in the main slot and the Windows hdd in the secondary it will start right up and recognize that the Windows hdd is installed I think that this is because Windows wants to be the only OS and doesn't recognize others How do I change this so that both Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot? hdds are bootable without physically removing one I have looked on both UbuntuForums Windows website and here and have found nothing that helps

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu dual boot?

Was the Windows hard drive connected when you installed Ubuntu?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/67154-windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 79.12%

So I currently run Ubuntu as the sole OS on my Laptop Using a G-Parted live CD I partitioned half of my disk space the one half dedicated to running Ubuntu and the other half to Windows I downloaded a torrent of Windows one that I have used before with success so one that I trust and burned it to a DVD-RW at the slowest burning speed possible I booted Windows through the DVD and began to do a clean install of Windows on this one Partition that I left completely empty for the new OS Everything runs smoothly and I go through the set-up until suddenly the installation hangs at when 'Expanding Windows Files' I have exhausted pretty much all the possibilities of what could be going wrong to Windows Dual-Boot Trying to Ubuntu and 7 my knowledge - saying that however my knowledge isn't very Trying to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu extensive at all Could someone possible share some info on what I could be doing wrong I'm desperate to get Windows up and running on this computer so I can begin playing some games that are otherwise impossible or incredibly difficult to get working on Ubuntu notably as an avid player of the Football Manager series the upcoming release of FM If anyone can offer some sort of help fix I'll be extremely grateful Like seriously

A:Trying to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

The best two ways of running Linux with Wondows on one Hd drive.
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu
Linux - Install on Windows 7 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/184474-trying-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi I have been researching installing Ubuntu alongside Win on my boot and windows ubuntu 8 dual daughters laptop I dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu already boot Ubuntu amp Win on my desktop pc but I have read some horror stories about installing Ubuntu with Win mostly in regard to the uefi boot system in dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu Win as well as its a laptop as opposed to desktop I have been told that i must enter the bios first and disable secure boot Most of the tutorials I have read are dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu very complex Then i read a tutorial from this website dated that appeared to be simple and similar to my own Ubuntu Win installation however it was dated Dual Boot Windows And Ubuntu Posted November pm in Windows Guides The only difference with my intended installation is that I will use a dvd as my Pc does not have a USB Boot option Please can anyone confirm that this Tutorial is valid and perhaps explain why so many other tutorials require BCD disable secure boot plus many other things outside the scope of my experience I would be most grateful I have even read that a mobo was destroyed by an incorrect installation and as this is my daughter's laptop i really dont want to have to buy her a new one Thanks

A:dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu

Samsung Laptops Bricked by Booting Linux Using UEFI

How to dual boot with Ubuntu & Windows 8, with Secure Boot ENABLED.
Practical UEFI Secure Boot (Part 3 of 3) - YouTube

To Downgrade to MS Windows 7or install with these BIOS settings:

Fujitsu Manual:
Secure Boot 2.zip

Originally Posted by Fujitsu

Advanced  Boot Configurations  Fast Boot : [Disabled]
Advanced  Boot Configurations  CSM : [Enabled]
Security  Secure Boot Configuration  Secure Boot Option : [Disabled]
To change these settings it is necessary that a Supervisor Password is set.

1) Set CSM to UEFI & Legacy.

2) For Noteboks, you will need to set a Password.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/30262-dual-boot-windows-8-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 79.12%

How come the thread has been marked solved?

There are several videos on youtube explaining how, here is just one:

How to Install Ubuntu 12.04 to Dual boot alongside Windows 8 - YouTube

A:How to dual boot windows 8 and ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

Someone was having trouble with this in another sub-board, I'll copy that video link over to them.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/32750-how-dual-boot-windows-8-ubuntu-12-04-lts.html
Relevancy 79.12%

how to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu 15.04 easily i have had issues with the partitions anybody got any ideas

A:how to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu

Hi pc helper 123456789,
I found a blog discussing about tip for dual-booting Windows 10 preview and Linux on a PC with UEFI firmware. It may be useful.
Tip for dual-booting Windows 10 preview and Linux on a PC with UEFI firmware
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2015/01/18/tip-for-dual-booting-windows-10-preview-and-linux-on-a-pc-with-uefi-firmware/
As ZigZag indicated, we also could try to run the ubuntu in the Hyper-V if we want to use the two systems in a machine.
NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.
Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact [email protected]

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3bd904e4-d917-400e-934d-9f461c733b23/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-ubuntu?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 78.69%

I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Windows it says Windows can not start the installation process.

A:I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Window

The best two ways of running Linux with Wondows on one Hd drive.
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu
Linux - Install on Windows 7 Virtual Machine using VirtualBox

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/189143-i-have-dual-boot-ubuntu-11-04-windows-7-now-i-cant-boot-window.html
Relevancy 78.69%
A:Cannot Boot Windows 7 after Uninstalling Ubuntu Dual-Boot

The Linux Grub messed you up. You can try to fix it with EasyBCD. Elseyou can make your C: partition active (with the bootable CD of Partition Wizard) and run repair/install with your installation disk 3 times. Reboot after each time.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/278972-cannot-boot-windows-7-after-uninstalling-ubuntu-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I installed Ubuntu on the same hard drive as my Windows different partition ofcourse Now even with windows boot manager when I choose 'start windows' it writes 'windows is loading files' then reboots Can't use recovery options quot repair your computer quot off my windows cd 14.04 Windows won't boot Ubuntu installing dual-boot. after for since it keeps telling me I don't have the matching windows version perhaps since ubuntu made some changes ro the MBR Solutions I've tried Fixing MBR with a 'utility' boot-cd like hiren's All it did was mess up ubuntu aswell so I had to reinstall ubuntu just to be able to boot Tried using boot-repair utility in Ubuntu - didn't work same problem Tried burning rescue disc off an existing windows computer Same error - 'no matching windows found' How can I reach window's rescue enviourment if it won't let me boot into it I would try to use bootrec exe but I can't get to it Please help I really don't want to re-install windows and lose all I Windows won't boot after installing Ubuntu 14.04 for dual-boot. have on that partition

A:Windows won't boot after installing Ubuntu 14.04 for dual-boot.

First off, if you can boot into Ubuntu you can browse the Windows partition and copy your files to a USB HDD for backup, so you won't loose anything if you have to reinstall.
Then use EasyBCD boot manager to manage your OS's boot loader.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-wont-boot-after-installing-ubuntu-14-04-for-dual-boot-860057.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Windows it says Windows can not start the installation process.

A:I have dual boot Ubuntu 11.04 and Windows 7 and now i cant boot Window

Could you tell me exactly how you installed Ubuntu in your dual boot? Did you use Wubi Installer or install the OS on a separate partition?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/189146-i-have-dual-boot-ubuntu-11-04-windows-7-now-i-cant-boot-window.html
Relevancy 78.26%

HI
I've recently installed Ubuntu as a dual system, i installed it on separate partition, now i have dual boot Ubuntu and windows 7... WHAT I WANT , how to uninstall Ubuntu without affecting W7 to return my system as it was ; Windows 7 only...
Regards

A:How to Uninstall Ubuntu from a Dual Boot Windows 7 PC

To Remove Linux take look at this post:
Error 0xc0000225 on boot

Remove Grub - Restore Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/290185-how-uninstall-ubuntu-dual-boot-windows-7-pc.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hey everyone, Im really killin' myself over this one. I just recently added Ubuntu 10.04.1 to my Gateway laptop NV53. I set it up so they would be installed side by side, Ubuntu being the one newly installed. It came with Windows 7, and it would give me the choice to select which OS i wanted to load (It gave me the Ubuntu OS, there were two -- and there was the Windows 7, A Vista Loader, and two other load choices those being like partitions on the drive) but now, when I try and boot off the HDD, it says: error: no such partition.
grub rescue>

I dunno what to do and im tearing myself to pieces here, whado I do??

A:Windows 7/Ubuntu dual boot issue

You should have got a cheap external HDD to put Ubuntu on, i once had a problem like yours, i couldn't get back into windows after trying to dual boot with Ubuntu. i had to reformat my whole HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-ubuntu-dual-boot-issue.153729/
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello people of 7forums! I am new here and I have a very interesting question.
Okay, so when I boot Ubuntu 14.04.2 x64 from my USB stick, it doesn't detect Windows 7!
I have tried to convert my disk to basic, but I don't seem to have an option for it so I guess I already have a basic one! My computer is custom built so it is NOT UEFI based. When I open Disk Management in Windows 7, there's a green box around my C drive. People have told me that it's because it's a logical partition and I have more than 4 primary, which is wrong. I have 1 (System reserved) which is primary, 2 unallocated for Ubuntu 14.04.2 and my C drive which apparently is the "extended partition". Is this why Ubuntu is not recognizing my Windows 7 install? I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks, Jason.

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 Dual boot problems

Are you sure Ubuntu mount NTFS partitions automatically? I have seen some Linux distributions that doesn't do this.

(my Linux is basic) You can try in terminal window: (9 commands to check hard disk partitions and disk space on Linux)

Code:
fdisk -l
Then mount the proper partition (the command is an example, exchange sda2 with the correct device number, the bold part is the name under which the partition will be mounted, you can change it):

Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /mnt/windows -o ro
The above will mount the partition in read-only mode.

To mount with read-write support:

Code:
ntfs-3g /dev/sdd1 /mnt/backup

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/375390-windows-7-ubuntu-14-04-dual-boot-problems.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello friends,

I would like to install Linux Ubuntu on my laptop alongside Windows using dual boot.
However, people keep telling me that it is not a good idea this to be done on a laptop because of driver comparability and stuff like that.

So is it OK if dual boot Ubuntu and Windows on a laptop or it is a terrible idea?

Best Regards
Stefany

A:Dual boot Windows and Linux Ubuntu

I'm against multi-booting of any kind. I believe in keeping it simple, so if you want to play around with Ubuntu, especially if you are worried about compatibility, virtualize it. It's 100% compatible with VirtualBox.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/259979-dual-boot-windows-linux-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Okay so I ve spent the last couple hours researching how to remove my ubuntu partition from a multi-OS boot with Windows and Vista still boot with Windows dual 7 Ubuntu in removing not convinced of an exact method or strategy I need the space but am more afraid of losing all my data and having to reformat and reinstall Windows Yes my data is backed up but it s just the hassle of having to reinstall apps and shortcuts and every single little thing I ve tweaked especially the registry in the past year Does anyone know of a full proof method to uninstall and remove this ubuntu linux removing Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows 7 partition Does the fact the i installed Windows after Ubuntu laptop came with Vista then installed Ubuntu to dual boot then recently got change anything or the fact that Windows is listed as my default OS Until i know for sure i guess I m just gonna have to leave it there any help would be greatly appreciated I knew that grub was gonna come back and kick me in the ass Vista Home Premium Ubuntu Windows Professional Thanks

A:removing Ubuntu in dual boot with Windows 7

So you have a triple-boot? Vista, Ubuntu, and 7?Do this for me while inside Windows 7:in the Start Menu search, type this and hit Enter:msconfigOnce on the "Boot" tab, take a screenshot and post it here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/300653/removing-ubuntu-in-dual-boot-with-windows-7/
Relevancy 78.26%

Sorry guys if this is in the wrong forum, but since XP is my primary operating system I thought I'd start here. Here's the problem: Yesterday I decided to install Ubuntu on my PC to where I could dual-boot into either Windows or Ubuntu. Well, the installation went fine, but now when I boot up it gives me the option of booting Windows or Ubuntu (this IS what I wanted). Only thing is that it automatically highlights "Ubuntu" instead of Windows and if I don't choose Windows in 5 seconds it boots Ubuntu. Is there any way that I can move "Windows" to the top of the list so that if I don't choose anything, it'll automatically load Windows XP?

A:Windows XP Dual-Boot w/ Ubuntu Problem

How did you install Ubuntu?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/329837/windows-xp-dual-boot-w-ubuntu-problem/
Relevancy 78.26%

I just installed Ubuntu to make my computer dual boot with Windows 7. When the option in Ubuntu came up to install it along Windows 7, I selected it. Well, after the install my monitor pops up a box saying "Out of Range" and nothing comes up, then Ubuntu boots. I never get the option to boot Win7. If I hit a button while the monitor is out of range, nothing boots. What is my problem? Thanks

A:Windows 7 and Ubuntu Dual Boot Problems

I think that the Ubuntu boot loader has taken over and set itself as default (so it boots after the timeout period has expired), which may be fine, BUT, the resolution it has chosen for that display is not compatible with your monitors resolution settings, so the monitor just says out of range.
Do you have another monitor you can try, or an old CRT screen monitor, anything that might accept the resolution and display the screen and try another video port coming from the computer if available. I don't know how to go about changing the boot screen resolution.

If the dual boot screen is similar to Windows, when it gets to that pause where its waiting for any change to be made as far as which OS to boot to, press the down arrow key once and then hit enter and see if Windows 7 loads (and displays).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-and-ubuntu-dual-boot-problems.1009942/
Relevancy 78.26%

I decided to dual boot ubuntu 13.04 with Windows 8. I had a dual boot setup before with Windows 7 and didn't have any problems.

Since this latest dual boot Ubuntu has been running fine however Windows 8 has become really sluggish. It now takes a few minutes to boot when before it was able to boot within sceconds. Once opening a program it crashes and freezes up the entire system, basically making windows unuasable.

There were no problems with windows 8 prior to the dual boot so I am not 100% sure why this is happening.

I backed my system up before install ubuntu so I can easily get everything back if I have to formate everything.

A:Ubuntu Windows 8 dual boot preformance

Could be any number of things. Running checkdisk on the 8 partition is worth a try.

Are you using Ubuntu Unity 13.04?

It works great for me.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/27295-ubuntu-windows-8-dual-boot-preformance.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I have two hard drives on my computer, one for my OS and apps (C, and one for my data (D. I recently reformatted my C: drive, re-installing Windows 7. I want to set up a dual-boot system with Ubuntu 10.04.

The problem I am having is that the Ubuntu installer recognizes my D: drive but not the C:. The C: drive is currently partitioned as follows:

100 MB NTFS Primary System Reserved
449.59 GB NTFS Primary
146.48 GB Unallocated

I have searched all over the net for answers, but none of the solutions I have found work.

Any thoughts?

A:Can't Get a Dual-Boot Windows 7/Ubuntu Installation Going

You say, you have two HD Drive, therefore you have a Disk0 & a Disk1.

When installing Linux
1) Remove Disk0 with Windows 7.
2) Install Linux to Disk1
3) Replace Disk0.
4) Use the one time boot menu to boot the OS's.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/183248-cant-get-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu-installation-going.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Ok so I am running two operating systems at the moment Windows Ultimate x and Ubuntu Linux I have them both in my dual boot menu but I have a question as to how to organize them I recently visited this thread Dual-Boot Windows -bit and -bit and they were basically 7/Ubuntu 9.10 Windows Question Boot Dual explaining how to set your default boot OS to Windows Well I kinda have the same problem except for Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 Dual Boot Question when I follow the instructions on that thread I get to the part where it tells you how to set it to default but the only OS that shows up is Windows It does not show any sign of Ubuntu whatsoever Is it because I have to have a WINDOWS OS or what But I would like to organize my boot menu to where it highlights Windows as the first boot option rather than Ubuntu because I want Windows to be the first OS on the list Any help on how to make that happen if possible Thanks for the great support -Brandon

A:Windows 7/Ubuntu 9.10 Dual Boot Question

Would you want to do it using the command line options, or download EasyBCD?

For now, open an administrative command prompt and type:
bcdedit

This will show you what the boot store looks like. Type bcdedit /? and you can see some of the commands to use to manipulate the store. Probably the first thing you might want to do in make a backup copy of the store

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/50104-windows-7-ubuntu-9-10-dual-boot-question.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi,

I wanna install Ubuntu (dual boot) alongside Windows. Is it as simple as just booting from the Live CD, selecting install Ubuntu, making a partition from the hard drive and installing? Is that it? After Ubuntu get's installed, when I boot up the computer, will it give me the option to boot from Windows or Ubuntu?

Slasher

A:Run Ubuntu 11 as dual boot alongside Windows

Hello.

Yes that's the way but using separate HDDs to boot them separately would save you a bunch of head-aches later.

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/165485-run-ubuntu-11-dual-boot-alongside-windows.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I have a dual boot system that had been working fine until yesterday.

Now when I go to boot Windows the grub menu shows

"Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda3)"

This leads to a window splash screen that last for about 10 second and then I get a black screen and the system goes no further.

It would seem that grub information on how to find the windows loader has become corrupted.

Any ideas on how to solve this will be appreciated.

A:Dual Boot, Windows 10, Ubuntu Problem

Grub2 is what is used now. How to Configure the GRUB2 Boot Loaders Settings

The issue is that Windows will screw up Grub2, if you make changes.

When you change anything in Grub, you have to write it, so that the Linux Kernel understands what you are doing. You always have to run sudo update grub. Otherwise it does not take.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/36568-dual-boot-windows-10-ubuntu-problem.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I installed Ubuntu 10.04 earlier today.

I have 6 HDs, and I installed Ubuntu on a 400GB partition on one of my REGULAR HD'S. My Windows installation is on my SSD.

Now, when I turn on my computer my Windows bootloader is showing, not GRUB. And if I press the "Start Windows Nornally" option - my Ubuntu boots. How do I fix this ?

I tried to repair my startup (using the Windows CD) without luck.

Thanks in advance!

A:Dual-boot: Windows 7 & Ubuntu - problem

Did you unplug the SSD when installing Ubuntu?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/155462-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu-problem.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello all. I am new to the forums and have been having a very annoying issue as of late. I currently have a machine installed with Windows 8 pro 64 bit installed on one Samsung 840 pro SSD. Works great. I recently added a second Crucial m4 SSD and would like to install Linux on it... I am having major issues doing so mainly because of UEFI... and when installing Linux it does not see Windows 8 installed on any drive therefore making it rather difficult to install both OSes. Any advice would be wonderful! I have searched Google quite a bit only to find the same issues but non relating to ssd drives. Thanks in advance!

Devin

A:Windows 8 dual boot ubuntu 12.10 on 2 ssd drives

Welcome to EightForums.

First you will need to DISABLE Secure Boot.

Originally Posted by theog

Reset BIOS to default, and reboot to BIOS make sure Secure Boot is disabled.
Make sure CSM is ENABLED, & set to UEFI boot.
NOTE: Check your manufacturer's uEFI BIOS manual for settings.

Secure boot: technical types spreading half-baked information

Linux distributions are making slow progress on implementing measures to ensure that their images available for download are bootable on hardware that has secure boot turned on.

Secure boot is a feature of the UEFI, the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, a replacement for the BIOS.

Microsoft has implemented this feature on hardware certified for Windows 8 in a way that requires the exchange of cryptographic keys; since the company controls the key-signing authority, anyone who wants to create a bootable medium has to necessarily obtain a key from Redmond.

Misinformation is rife about secure boot, simply because people confuse UEFI with secure boot and think that support for the former means support for the latter. Many so-called technical types are as guilty as others of spreading wrong information.

mjg59 | Secure Boot distribution support

?Microsoft's real aim is to kill the aftermarket in used computers that have Win 8 installed by not allowing you to install something other than Windows?

Microsoft could just have refused to sign UEFI bootloaders. They didn't. That doesn't really fit in with what you're claiming.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/18770-windows-8-dual-boot-ubuntu-12-10-2-ssd-drives.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I'm unable to use Headphones in Windows 8 but I can use it in ubuntu. This problem started after dual booting.

A:Can't use Headphones in Windows 8( dual boot with ubuntu)

Are speaker sounds working normally in Windows 8?Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/cant-use-headphones-in-windows-8-dual-boot-with-ubuntu/2123.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I have two hard drives and one is 15 gb and I have 14gb left, how would I install Ubuntu onto that drive, and then, if I install it right. How would I boot to it?

A:Wanting to dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu

boot from ur ubuntu cd and watch the magic.. i think it uses disk druid (maybe that was fedora) to patition the hard dive. once installed linux's GRUB becomes ur boot manager and u can make it do whatever u want

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wanting-to-dual-boot-windows-xp-and-ubuntu.118934/
Relevancy 78.26%

Hello I had windows installed on a disk sda and decided to install ubuntu in another disk sdb Ubuntu installed Grub boot loader in sdb ubuntu with dual boot Hibernate 7 in windows and both Hibernate windows 7 in dual boot with ubuntu systems seem to work fine Except windows hibernation which worked Hibernate windows 7 in dual boot with ubuntu normally before the Ubuntu installation What happens is this If I set the BIOS to startup from disk sdb GRUB comes out When I select windows and try to hibernate the screen goes black and after a couple of seconds the log in screen appears So I can not hibernate windows when I use GRUB By the way ubuntu hibernates normally If I set the BIOS to startup from disk sda windows load without GRUB of course and hibernate actually works But when I turn on the pc windows resuming is the only option I can not activate the bbs popup and even if I set bios to boot from the other disk sdb the system seems to ignore me and resumes windows without displaying GRUB loader So I can either hibernate windows but have to resume before I can use ubuntu or start windows using grub and not have the option to hibernate From the above I get that windows have a way of controlling the system's BIOS and prevent loading another os when windows are hibernated I say windows because my laptop has a similar dual boot vista with ubuntu and hibernation works for both systems and I can load whichever I want after that I tried to find information about w hibernation and bios but I couldn't find anything clear enough I have also tried EasyBCD but it didn't change a thing I have already seen the posts about active partitions boot partitions boot flag in ubuntu turned off hybrid sleep prevented all devices from waking up windows but nothing works I started a thread ubuntu Hibernate Problem in Windows but not in Ubuntu - Ubuntu Forums since I though it was a GRUB problem but no one seemed to know what to do or no one cared So I' m left with the above assumption windows controlling bios Does anybody know anything about this or the problem in general Thank you in advance

A:Hibernate windows 7 in dual boot with ubuntu

Oh boy this takes a while. to speed you along: powercfg.exe -energy in a windows 7 cmd.exe with admin rights - fixs as many problems as you can. if sleep works but hybrid sleep and hibernate don't and you boot with grub: set boot flag for the mini partition that windows made when it installed itself - note do NOT do this with windows disk manager as it will BREAK your system if you did do this use testdisk to recover (but believe me - you don't want to do that) Instead use parted gparted rescue disk or your linux partition and fdisk and set the boot flag. Still not hibernating (like me?) then you need to use the grub menu option that boots windows from the small partition usually /dev/sda1 (you set the boot flag didn't you?) Ok that should be it. Good luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/148560-hibernate-windows-7-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 78.26%

ubuntu forums are no help with this at all, i keep getting told to come here. Wanting to remove the ubuntu partion and the grub boot manager and just have my windows again, need an easier way to do this. Do not have a windows disc, been reading around and there are some ways to just delete everything linux with out it effecting windows, just cant figure it out on my own.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/64606-undoing-ubuntu-14-04-windows-8-1-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 78.26%

i have a rather powerful computer in the greater scheem of things... and i would like to dual boot from two separate drives, ubuntu linux, and windows 7. i am in need of thorough instruction! i halve found alot of people online asking about ubuntu, people reply talking about other OSs and saying it should help. also if anyone could tell me what toll this might take on my power supply or my ram to have 2 HDs running at once technicaly. please and thank you. Thor.

A:I NEED HELP to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu on seperate HDs

Hello.

The easiest way to do away with boot issues between separate Operating Systems (OS) is to use the BIOS one time boot menu to select which OS to boot at system startup, each motherboard has an individual hot-key to tap during system start-up to access this menu.

If you have 2 separate Hard Disk Drives (HDD) and have one OS installed to one HDD and you want to install another OS to the second HDD, disconnect the HDD with the first OS installed on it and leave only the HDD you want to install the second OS to connected.
Install the second OS to the connected HDD and when complete and the system is booting good, power down and reconnect the first HDD with the first OS on it.

This way the OSs will boot independently of each other and there will be no boot conflicts between the 2 separate OSs to have to sort later.

Then set the BIOS to boot the HDD / OS you want as default and if you want to start the other (new) OS you use the BIOS one-time boot menu to select that HDD / OS to start when the PC is started.Asus - F8
HP/Compaq - Esc
Sony - F2
Acer ? F12
Packard Bell
Gateway - F10
eMachnes - F10
Gigabyte ? F12
Toshiba - F12
Dell - F12

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/181686-i-need-help-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu-seperate-hds.html
Relevancy 78.26%

i was wondering if anybody tried dualboot ubuntu and howd they like it?

A:Has anybody tried dual booting ubuntu?

I've a dual boot ubuntu 11.04 (unity) with win7 ultimate (x86) and it works fine, if you want to know more then be specific

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/239215-has-anybody-tried-dual-booting-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Windows 7 seems to be located in my /dev/sda1 partition. However, ever since I installed Ubuntu (not using wubi) my fully encrypted HDD/partition will not prompt me with the password but instead boots straight to ubuntu. Ubuntu does not even recognize my windows partition. More interestingly, I did a boot repair and these are the results that show:

Ubuntu Pastebin

When I use my windows 7 DVD to repair my system it doesn't even show windows 7 is installed. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Do I need to use my encryption rescue disk? I have been trying everything and have not had much success. Thanks!

A:Encrypted Windows 7 partition will not boot after installing Ubuntu.

What encryption did you use? It sounds like GRUB overwrote the encrypted Windows MBR??? Im not sure it can be recovered......I would normally suggest this:

But the encryption is the unknown here.......you might have to take some risks and experiment.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/293726-encrypted-windows-7-partition-will-not-boot-after-installing-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hello I haven't been using Ubuntu as much as I'd like to so about an hour I can't Partition to boot I Windows Ubuntu after formating/deleting ago I opened up Partition Magic selected my Ubuntu partition and formated it as NTFS then on reboot to preform the operation it formatted then reboot and I got GRUB error I can't boot to Windows XP Home even though when I I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition look at the Live CD through linux the parition is there I've tried putting in my XP disc and doing fixmbr but I can't boot to I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition the I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition CD it'll boot to the Linux Live CD but not XP On the live CD I've used GParted to make XP the ONLY Parition and I've even tried reinstalling Ubuntu but I can't I get an error when I try to resize the windows partition and use the freed space for Ubuntu Did I just totally nuke my harddrive Will I have to buy a new Hard Drive I feel so stupid I've used Parition Magic at work many times guess I just forgot something Can anyone help me get XP back up and running

A:I can't boot to Windows after formating/deleting Ubuntu Partition

Well, I've fixed it! I called up a friend and he walked me through...I still feel pretty dumb. lol

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/i-cant-boot-to-windows-after-formating-deleting-ubuntu-partition-283895.html
Relevancy 77.83%

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on my Windows 10 laptop,  I am able to boot into Ubuntu and it runs normally, but if I try boot into windows I get this message: selected boot device failed, press any key to reboot the system.
I think I messed up during the partition process, I had already installed Ubuntu but wanted a fresh install. During the install process I just selected the option to install over my current Ubuntu installation and didn't manually set any partition settings.
Please advise!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19681870
Relevancy 77.83%

Following very carefully I thought wiping to after Windows Can't Ubuntu partition! Solved: boot an old thread on unloading Ubuntu to revert to Win XP Pro I deleted the Ubuntu partition with Easeus Partition Mastri then resized my XP partition to use the extra space Then intended to boot from my Win XP CD to run fixmbr I thought from the old thread that that would fix the Master Boot Record and that I would then be up and running in Windows again But my computer now won t boot from the XP CD I get consecutive messages GRUB Loading stage GRUB loading please wait Error I can still boot from the Easeus Partition Master which shows my disk like this Size Used Unused Status FAT Mb M Mb None Primary NTFS Gb Gb Gb Active Primary Unallocated Gb Bytes Gb None Logical FAT Gb Gb Mb None Primary Unallocated Mb Bytes Mb None Logical I m right out of my depth here and would be really really grateful for some Solved: Can't boot to Windows after wiping Ubuntu partition! help What can I do now Dell Dimension Ghz Gb RAM Windows XP Pro SP nbsp

A:Solved: Can't boot to Windows after wiping Ubuntu partition!

Clean your XP CD with alcohol, rubbing from the center to the outside. Let it dry and try booting again. If no joy, borrow an XP CD from a friend if possible. If the easeus CD boots, the XP should. If must be dirty or scratched.

Another way, use the XP setup floppy set from MS to boot to the RC.

Yet another way, Get a Quick Boot CD. It will substitute for your HD MBR and boot files and allow booting Windows.

http://webpages.charter.net/surferdude/SDhome1.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-boot-to-windows-after-wiping-ubuntu-partition.941625/
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi,
My dell laptop is dell inspiron 14R with preinstalled windows 8.I want to install ubuntu 10.04 side by side. I switch to legacy boot option too.But could not install it through disk since during partition table creation, it is not showing any os that is preinstalled.Its imp for me to install ubuntu.
I even reinstalled window 8 in legacy mode and SATA option AHCI and then tried to install ubuntu.Even in that case, same problem exists.In case of ATA option, it even doesn,t show any partion to install ubuntu

Relevancy 77.4%

Hi,

I have 2 internal hard drives, 1 running XP and the second SATA drive I bought was just to use for storage (Does not have partitions and still has over 100GB space on it.

I would like to install Ubuntu on my second drive and dual boot with XP.

How should I go about doing this? The 2 instruc-tions I have found only address this issue in a one-drive only scenario so I was wondering if there's any difference in my situation.

Thanks very much in advance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-ubuntu-and-windows-on-seperate-drives.680844/
Relevancy 77.4%

Ive read some dual boot threads but the three that ive seen on here started in so i wanted to with (maybe Want Lion to OSX ubuntu) 7 triboot windows and dual-boot make a new thread instead of asking on those if anyone was asking ask u can see on my computer specs i have gb hdd currently i am uncomfortable installing lion on to the data drive or the c Want to dual-boot windows 7 and OSX Lion (maybe triboot with ubuntu) drive since i do not have the confidence about doing this but i have a gb hdd lying around and want to install onto it and dualboot my windows and Want to dual-boot windows 7 and OSX Lion (maybe triboot with ubuntu) lion i would prefer a detailed guide thank u starting from the beginning so i know i didnt miss anything since im a slight noob ive done ubuntu and xp installations on virtual box but i want to do the hardcore mac stuff like editing and want to use all the hdd space cpu and ram i need for it that the reason i want to dual boot lion and i have read this guide and it explains most things by limneos I have dual boot Windows and OSX All you need to do is first install Windows Then create a new partition for your osxwithin Windows format it as fat or ntfs and set to to be quot active quot Then run the osx installation and before you start the install go to Utilities and quot disk utility quot select the partition you created from Windows and format it as Journaled don't delete it Then install as you would normally selecting this partition as your installation target don't forget to customize your OSX installation with the necessary drivers for you system After installation is complete you will need to repair your Windows boot loader cause you probably won't be able to boot Windows Insert the Windows installation DVD at the first installation screen select your language etc and at the second screen select quot repair computer quot This will bring the Windows boot loader back so you can boot Windows Now you won't be able to load osx So boot in Windows and unhide your hidden MB partition In disk management assign a drive letter for your MB hidden partition Download EasyBCD and add a new boot entry select MacOS Generic X Add Save That's it You can now have dual boot with Windows and OSX and would like someone to change it to my needs or create a better one for lion since this was for thanks to u all

A:Want to dual-boot windows 7 and OSX Lion (maybe triboot with ubuntu)

Nope, that guide looks about right. As long as you're dual booting with Windows 7, that guide should stay the same no matter what version of Mac OS X you are using. I have a triple boot with W7, W8 and Ubuntu so a triple boot should work fine on yours too. The only thing I would be worried about is space. Triple booting on a 40GB hard drive gives you roughly 13GB for each OS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/194707-want-dual-boot-windows-7-osx-lion-maybe-triboot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello friends,

I am trying to make my new laptop hp- dv6 3174 dual boot with two operating systems Windows 7(which is preinstalled) and Ubuntu 10.10.
But after i install ubuntu, windows is getting erased. I tried repairing with system repair disc but not possible. Even if i put system repair disc it again ask to insert repair disc. And if i try to repair is with system image it replaces ubuntu with windows 7.
I asked some people here they are saying its issue with hp and not windows.
If anybody can solve this issue will be of gr8 help.

thank you

A:Dual boot problem while installing ubuntu 10.10 with windows 7 on hp

Please state it clearly, precisely, I mean.

Can you start Windows 7 now?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/152774-dual-boot-problem-while-installing-ubuntu-10-10-windows-7-hp.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I want to upgrade Vista to Windows 7, but without disturbing my Ubuntu installation, which is dual boot with Vista. I would prefer to do a clean install of Windows 7 over Vista, which has had niggling little issues (I resolve them and new ones appear) ever since I bought the pc. I don't have the recovery discs for Vista (the ones you make when you buy a new system) as they went missing during a major move.

What is the best way to accomplish all the above? Also, from what I understand, a clean installation can be done with an upgrade version of Windows 7 as long as a previous version of Vista or XP is already on the machine? I am not terribly confident when it comes to doing things like this, so would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

A:Installing Windows 7 over Vista on dual boot with Ubuntu

Is your Ubuntu installation on a partition on the same hard disk or on a seperate one?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/208480-installing-windows-7-over-vista-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 77.4%

So, I have like a laptop with installed windows 10 first then installed ubuntu 14.04 LTS alongside windows.

ubuntu grub boots up asking me for boot options each time i restart.

So if I want to clean install windows 10 while ubuntu is still installed will it affect ubuntu and its data?.

I use ubuntu for work and windows when i am home.

I have upgraded windows 10 using windows update but now i feel like doing clean install of the anniversary update but afraid of losing ubuntu and work data or failure of ubuntu booting after reinstalling windows 10.

Can anyone suggest ideas or solutions?.

Thank you.

A:Is it possible to clean install windows 10 in dual boot with ubuntu?

Sure you can - no problem at all. Just boot from USB and pick the C partition when it asks you where to install Windows. You could (and I did) format the partition at this point. Make sure also that your WinRE recovery partition (if you have one) is big enough (500MB).

I dual boot with OSX and Windows and did a clean install of 1607 like that and it worked fine. It didn't touch the other OS at all. It did disable my bootloader (I use rEFInd not grub) but that happens every time I update either OS and it is just a matter of re-registering it.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/59350-possible-clean-install-windows-10-dual-boot-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi there folks Please bear with me this is a bit long I want to have system with OSes as named in the subject line This is what I did to go about having that Its a new HDD GB partitioned as follows GB for Windows then GB Data and then GB again For Ubuntu I installed Windows and then installed Ubuntu on the respective partitions as mentioned Upon booting the system the grub screen appeared and could load Ubuntu Ubuntu issue 14.04 Windows with Ultimate boot Dual & 7 but the Windows Dual boot issue with Windows 7 Ultimate & Ubuntu 14.04 wouldn't The windows loader threw the error as follows Status xc f Info The boot selection failed because the required device is inaccessible and also advised a startup repair I tried to do that using a bootable USB DVD drive does not work in vain Choosing the Startup Repair option here took me to a screen where quot Windows quot OS is listed with quot MB quot Partition Size and quot Unknown Local Disk quot Location Followed by a message I'm para phrasing here the startup repair cannot fix the problem send the error to Microsoft Then I read on the interwebs somewhere to use the command line entity and run the commands bootrec exe fixboot bootrec exe fixmbr Both of which were successful and upon booting it went back to the Windows loader now with the same error and Ubuntu is not accessible at all So I have reinstalled the Windows on the same partition the quot head quot GB My windows loader shows instances of Windows during boot up one of which throws the same error and the other boots The quot tail quot end GB meant for Ubuntu is hidden but listed as a healthy one on the Disk Management I would like to get rid of the faulty Windows entry on the loader and get Ubuntu up and running smoothly Please let me know if you need any more info Thanks in advance

A:Dual boot issue with Windows 7 Ultimate & Ubuntu 14.04

Quote:
I would like to get rid of the faulty Windows 7 entry on the loader and get Ubuntu up and running smoothly. Please let me know if you need any more info.

Hi

Please download "EasyBCD" from https://neosmart.net/Download/Register/1 and use it to delete the non working entry from the BCD boot menu.

https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/ba...eting-entries/

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/350819-dual-boot-issue-windows-7-ultimate-ubuntu-14-04-a.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi ,       I just bought a new ideapad 500 am trying to install ubuntu 16.04 Lts alongside preloaded windows 10. I have  tried various options like disabling secure boot / fast boot / fast start up the USB boot just doesn't seem to work , when I try to boot through UEFI firm ware settings -> efi USB boot I get an error message ' USB boot option Not available' . Please suggest if I can achieve Dual boot ability on my ideapad

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-100-305-500-Edge/Dual-boot-windows-10-with-ubuntu-Linux-on-ideapad-500/td-p/3445982
Relevancy 77.4%

Is it possible to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu, with ubuntu on a external hard drive? I can connect my external hard drive via USB 2.0, USB 3.0 or E-SATA. I want windows 7 as my main OS. Could someone please help?

A:dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu on external harddrive

You need to enter your BIOS and change the boot priority to that external drive.

Your BIOS may allow you to enter a boot menu during startup which makes it a lot simpler.

While your PC is turning on it will flash with your PC vendors logo, at the bottom of this screen it should say press F2/Del to enter the BIOS or something similar.

BIOSes vary greatly from PC to PC so I can't really give you anything more than general advice but I'll try my best.

If you need any more help or explanation just ask.

Oli

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/92655-dual-boot-windows-7-ubuntu-external-harddrive.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I set up a dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows on my lenovo u laptop a couple months ago and everything was working fine That was till I found a problem with the wireless when switching from Ubuntu over to I found that if I Ubuntu Windows and boot problem Dual wireless 7 left the wireless off in Ubuntu and restart to the wireless is completely disconnected in Later I learned that if I enabled the wireless in Ubuntu and restart into the wireless works fine Now the major problem is that the Ubuntu update completely screwed the Ubuntu installation The graphics nor the internet worked after the update so basically I'm stuck with the wireless off in Windows Also Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 wireless problem I deleted the Ubuntu partition Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 wireless problem to possibly reinstall it but another problem is that I got the install from a friend who isn't around Someone told me that Ubuntu actually shuts down the wireless card at the hardware level Does anyone know a low level way of enabling the wireless adapter in Windows ipconfig gives me the quot Media disconnected quot message on all of the adapter connections I have already tried reinstalling wireless drivers as well and none of the Windows troubleshooting apps help whatsoever

A:Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 wireless problem

In the bios settings on most modern computers there is an option to enable or disable the wireless adapter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/164627-dual-boot-ubuntu-windows-7-wireless-problem.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hey all I am new here. I recently did a dual boot install of Ubuntu with my Home Premium Windows 7 machine. I need to figure out how to uninstall Ubuntu and the grub loader... any thoughts?

I installed Windows 7 first... Ubuntu 64 desktop edition came after.

I shrunk my Windows 7 partition to install Ubuntu.

If you need more information, let me know, and thanks in advance.

A:dual boot w/ Ubuntu, need to uninstall Ubuntu

Quote: Originally Posted by Konstantinov

Hey all I am new here. I recently did a dual boot install of Ubuntu with my Home Premium Windows 7 machine. I need to figure out how to uninstall Ubuntu and the grub loader... any thoughts?

I installed Windows 7 first... Ubuntu 64 desktop edition came after.

I shrunk my Windows 7 partition to install Ubuntu.

If you need more information, let me know, and thanks in advance.

Hello Konstantinov, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

Baisically, you just need to delete the two Ubuntu partitions, then restore the bootmgr from Windows 7. Please look these over and post back any questions?

Remove Grub - Restore Windows 7

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/64180-dual-boot-w-ubuntu-need-uninstall-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I had previously had Vista 32 installed on my pc. I partitioned the hard drive, and installed Ubuntu 8.04 on the second partition. After that, Ubuntu became my default OS, and would boot in 10 seconds, unless I chose otherwise. Everything worked fine, with no help from me.

Yesterday I reinstalled Vista on the main partition, but didn't touch the others. Since then, there is no boot OS option, it automatically loads Vista. I can't figure out how to access Ubuntu even temporarily, let alone change my boot preferences to allow me a choice at startup.

Help is much appreciated
Chris

A:Dual Booting Vista and Ubuntu

You might try right-clicking on 'my computer' and selecting 'manage'. From there, go to disk management. Look at your hard drive and see if it is still partitioned. Vista might have copied over it. And, I found some info from the Ubuntu forum:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-booting-vista-and-ubuntu-366927.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I have been running XP and Ubuntu, dual booted from separate hard drives using GRUB2 boot loader. No problems.
I wiped XP and successfully installed Windows7.
A problem has arisen in that whilst GRUB still boots Ubuntu OK, when I select Windows7 from the GRUB memu I get the Windows option to 'fix start up problems' or 'start windows normally'. None work.
I am fairly sure I have some sort of MBR problem. Under XP I could get a terminal via the install disk and just "fixmbr" and all was well.
Following the same procedure in Windows7 gives me an X:> prompt. fixmbr doesnt work.
Can anyone advise please how to fix the MBR in Windows7 ?
Thanks.

A:Dual Booting problems with Ubuntu

All former bootrec and bootsect commands are automated in Win7 Startup Repair. You only have to run it enough times for it to attempt to repair and then rewrite the MBR - usually about 3 separate times with reboot.

I believe that dual booting Win7 with Ubuntu requires removing GRUB before Win7 install and then reinstalling it.

?How to? Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 (Ubuntu installed first) - Ubuntu Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/54852-dual-booting-problems-ubuntu.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I am sorry I had posted this query under a solved thread Thought it would be inappropriate hence putting up a new thread I need some help in solving the fix that i am in I have received a new laptop Amd E processor GB RAM win bit UEFI-boot pre-installed on it Now i have to install an Ubuntu Os on this system as win should only Ubuntu( and 8.1 bit versions) 64 Win booting or Dual 32 serve as secondary OS The win performance is very slow on my computer i guess cause of the RAM Now for me to install an Ubuntu OS bit i guess i might need more RAM please do give any alternatives here Is it possible to install bit version of TT Ubuntu on my laptop What modifications do I have to make Please do understand that my knowledge about this is beginner level Should i go with Xubuntu as it is light weight What bit of Xubuntu should i Dual booting Win 8.1 and Ubuntu( 64 or 32 bit versions) use or How should i go about all Dual booting Win 8.1 and Ubuntu( 64 or 32 bit versions) this if it is feasible Any help would be appreciated Thanks a lot in advance

A:Dual booting Win 8.1 and Ubuntu( 64 or 32 bit versions)

U can definitely install 32 bit ubuntu with 64 bit windows or vice versa. I also did the same thing but i installed 64 bit ubuntu with 32 bit windows. U also don't need any modifications.
But i am assuming that u are aware about the process of dual booting windows and linux machine and the inconveniences associated.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/62989-dual-booting-win-8-1-ubuntu-64-32-bit-versions.html
Relevancy 77.4%

So i just recently created two partitions on my home pc one keeping windows xp and i installed windows on the other one I completely got all my programs and stuff back on windows and it was all set I decided i should delete the other partition containing windows xp so the windows one could have all the harddrive space I went into the partition program i was using changed the windows partition to primary instead of logical i think that s what it was i can t really remember then deleted the windows xp one It had to reboot my computer then after it was finished deleting and stuff it rebooted again but now it just takes me to Deleted partition and xp windows 7 dual booting wrong a black screen that says press a key to reboot I got a copy of a windows xp recovery disk and tried to boot from that but nothing I even tried switching the boot sequence but still no luck I really hope someone can get back to me on this one i ve Deleted wrong partition dual booting windows 7 and xp just stumbled upon this site and figured someone has to have some sort of advice on this disaster haha I m not even too sure if this is the right spot to post this but i hope someone can help Thanks in advance nbsp