Windows Support Forum

Xp recovery console password issue

Q: Xp recovery console password issue

I am removing Linux on 2nd drive
Need to use FixMBR
When entering password for login in XP recovery console, I get kicked out
I cannot remember what I set up 2 years ago
I have the login for my profile which has full administrative access
Is there a workaround to change the password on the actual administrator profile from with my profile?

Help & thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Xp recovery console password issue

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 89.44%

Hello to all.
I was working with the Recovery Console and got the part where it ask for a password. The
problem is I don't have a password. I have no record of ever making a password for this
computer. It is Windows xp Professional with Service Pack 3 from Gateway. I read that if you don't have a password you can type "blank" or" leave blank "and press enter. I don't know which. I can't get that to work. Maybe I am doing something wrong.
I am at at a loss as to what to do. It has a" Intel Pentium 4, 3200 MHz
Processor, 200MH external bus" Is there any work around to getting around the password.
If anyone has any suggestions or references to offer . I would so much appreciate your
help.

best wishes to all

Relevancy 74.82%

I am trying to access the recovery console using my original Xp discs on a Sony Vaio laptop VGN-FS875. It will not allow me to bypass the password request, and my administrator password for windows does not work. I have read in various places that Sony may have set the password at the factory, and I tried some suggestions like "sysrep" & "password" to no avail. The machine will not boot up at all. I can access the BIOS, and the security tab shows that there is no PW set. Any suggestions?

A:Recovery Console Password

If there isn't a password applied, then you should be able to access it my hitting Enter.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/341410/recovery-console-password/
Relevancy 74.82%

My hd crashed a couple weeks ago, not allowing me to start up windows, and my disc drive was out. The WINDOWS/SETUP was missing or something like that. So just now did I have the chance to hook up another disc drive to it. I'm going into the regular Windows XP Setup, then into Recovery Console. It asks me what installation, and lists "1: C:\WINDOWS". Thats the only installation detected, so I push 1. ]

My problem is this: it prompts me: "TYPE THE ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD". I never set an administrator password I believe. Pushing enter just exits the recovery console. I tried typing administrator and windows, but to no success.

Does anyone know what to do in this situation?

I would have just reformatted my hard drive, but there is some stuff on there that I will not be able to get again and I would rather have.

Thanks.

A:Recovery Console... Password???

I would just do a general repair on your Windows installation. You would go about this with your installation disk as if you were going to install (or reinstall) Windows. When setup sees that you have an exisiting Windows installation, it will give you the option of repairing it. Choose that, and it will repair without reformatting and losing your data. Be careful though, do not delete the existing Windows or the partition. If you are doing this and have any doubts, ask before proceeding.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-password-141932.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi there I am trying to fix my mother's computer as the computer displays THIS when I boot Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS SYSTEM CONFIG SYSTEM I have tried using the microsoft windows help recovering the systems from the recovery console link How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting and got to CONSOLE IS ASKING NONE FOR PASSWORD SET!!! WHEN RECOVERY step three but when i tried to do RECOVERY CONSOLE ASKING FOR PASSWORD WHEN NONE IS SET!!! copy c windows tmp RECOVERY CONSOLE ASKING FOR PASSWORD WHEN NONE IS SET!!! system c windows system config system it tells me that the file could not be copied and then from then on i cannot even access the md tmp anymore it keeps telling me that access is denied I am at my wit's end here considering that I have gotten so close to the end of the process only to have it blow up on me like that even more difficult to fix than the previous problem Any help will be appreciated Thanks

A:RECOVERY CONSOLE ASKING FOR PASSWORD WHEN NONE IS SET!!!

Did you heed the warning about an OEM installation. The only way MSs fix works is with a full purchased installation on XP. If you didn't pay attention to this and it's OEM, then you can't reenter the recovery console and a reformat and clean installation will have to be done unless someone knows a way around this.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-asking-for-password-when-none-is-set-604047.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Simply , I don't have the admin password for this laptop to use the recovery console. Is there a way round this?

A:XP recovery console without password

At what point are you being asked for the admin password.If you're in the Recovery console, you normally just need to press Enter.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308789/xp-recovery-console-without-password/
Relevancy 73.96%

I have the BSOD with stop 0x0000007E (0xC00001D, 0x80537008, 0xBA4CF3B8, 0xBA4CFOB4). Trying to repair after reading forum on problem but the recovery console will not accept my password. Unit is a Dell Vostro 1510. My daughters computer so I do not know what started the problem.

A:Recovery Console will not accept my password

Is the Recovery Console installed on the system?At what point...are you prompted for a password?You might read the following: How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk Generally speaking...there is no entry required on the password line, just hit Enter to move to the next line.And...why would you expect your daughter's system...to accept your password?Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/297114/recovery-console-will-not-accept-my-password/
Relevancy 73.96%

XP Pro SP I have Recovery Console installed as a boot option and have a bootable RC CD I am perplexed XP Password Administrator Console Recovery by folks that try to use RC and seem to get stuck being asked to enter an Administrator password I put an Administrator XP Recovery Console Administrator Password password on my system and a password on my regular account and know I need to enter them to get logged in on a regular boot It all works as expected I also have my regular account to log in automatically but know my password is still there When I boot RC using any method either the XP installation CD the installed RC or my bootable RC CD I never get asked for an Administrator password I never have gotten asked and I have booted RC a lot Some people seem to get asked and not know what to do so of course the advice is just press Enter Sometimes they say they don t know what the Administrator PW is but I have never even been prompted Why do some folks apparently get asked for an Administrator PW in RC and I cannot make my system ask me for an Administrator password in RC even if I try I want to get asked for a PW in RC just for the experience of seeing it What am I missing

A:XP Recovery Console Administrator Password

xp home always asks for the administrator password and it is blank if it is a default install. But pro ask the installer to create a password at install. Some oem's bypass this "feature".

I suspect some malware or malware repair damages whatever decides the admin password is needed because I always find the systems that won't accept the known password or asks for one where it should not exist, have trojans and droppers on them.

The above logic is not conclusive though since damn near every computer I get to work on has some malware on it.
Maybe someone can give a definite answer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/294402/xp-recovery-console-administrator-password/
Relevancy 73.96%

I did a clean install of XP pro and am the sole user with a user account password. Upon installing the recovery console it asks me for the administrator's password. When I enter my user account password it, it says it is the wrong password. I'm I to assume that the password that I'm entering on boot up is not the same as the 'administrator password for the recovery console? What am I doing wrong? How do I put a administrator password in so I can get into the recovery console?? Any help is appreciated. Please reply to:
[email protected]

A:XP's recovery console admin password help

it is not the same
even if u are the only user and u have admin rights, there is still an ccount called 'administrator' and this is hidden unless u restart into safe mode or manually type in user: 'administrator'
the password is therefore different then your username password (unless during the setup u entered the same password as u did for your username)

if u didnt put any 'administrator' password, try just pressing 'enter' when asked in recovery console but remember dont put your username there but 'administrator' in the 'user' field

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xps-recovery-console-admin-password-help.137130/
Relevancy 73.96%

Recently I restarted my computer and when Windows tried to load eventually a blank screen appeared and then it rebooted on its own. Now, after booting, it gives me options whether to go in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Normal Windows, etc. I have tried all of them but before they finish loading the computer reboots. So I put in my Setup CD and went into the Recovery Console and it prompted me for my Administrative Password. I do not recall ever setting an Administrative Password so I just hit ENTER and it said the password is not valid. What should I do?

A:Administrative Password In Recovery Console

Someone somewhere at some time has set a password.
It's obviously not Nothing or it would have let you in.
Who was the person who did the most recent install, not re-install, of XP?
Has a mate done it?
To me if XP had been installed by the manufacturers they would have left it blank.
Options:
1: You could slave into another pc and get your files back hopefully.
2: Format and start over.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/administrative-password-in-recovery-console.512724/
Relevancy 73.96%

I am working on a laptop where the registrive hive is corrupt and I am not able to use the Recovery Console because the Administrator password is not authenticating (SAM is obviously corrupt). I also have been unable to mount the hda1 volume in KNOPIX in read-write mode because the volume will not re-mount after an attempt to change read-write status in an attempt to use this method to copy the latest registry hive files over to the windows/system32/config folder to recover from a corrupt registry hive.

If I could use the Recover Console in Windows XP/Pro then I could take care of fixing the corrupt registry hive but without a valid SAM I don't know how to be able to use the Recovery Console.

Is ther any work-around for this type of problem?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-without-administrator-password-348755.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi my mother has a year old XP Professional computer that she s having some serious issues with It s a Gateway that came with XP Pro installed After a recent Windows update set to automatically download I restarted after being prompted to and haven t been able to start Windows since I get the following error message Windows could not start because the following file is missingor corrupt lt Windows root gt system hal dll Please re-install a copy of the above file note there is HAL.DLL Missing Recovery password problem & Console a split-second mention of the BOOT INI file just before the previous message is displayed It s not on the screen long enough for me to read it all though Now I spent a lot of time searching the Internet for this error and I found many indications that this is likely tied Missing HAL.DLL & Recovery Console password problem to IE and that uninstalling IE might help for the time being Every discussion I ve Missing HAL.DLL & Recovery Console password problem found however recommends using the Recovery Console tool to fix the current hal dll problem so that I can log in and fix the larger issue I m unable to access Missing HAL.DLL & Recovery Console password problem the Recovery Console though because I can t get passed the Administrator Password prompt I ve been using a Dell XP disc since she can t find her Gateway disc I m still able to boot from the CD and get to the Recovery Console option I ve tried the two administrator passwords used on the computer one for myself and another for my mother s account and I ve also simply hit Enter without entering anything but nothing works After three attempts I m prompted to restart the computer I ve been searching the Internet for this issue now and it seems that a fix from MS might work Here s the link to the Microsoft Help and Support article http support microsoft com default aspx kb en-us This article mentions a Q hotfix but states that I have to contact MS in order to obtain it I ve tried calling but Microsoft wants me to pay for support before even hearing what the problem is If I have to I ll pay to get this fixed but I d rather not fork over more to MS if all this was started by installing one of their updates Now they do include this note on that same page Note In special cases charges that are ordinarily incurred for support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a specific update will resolve your problem The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific update in question but it seems as if I m going to get charged initially Are there any other options to get around this password issue I ve tried repeatedly to log into the Recovery Console but I haven t had any luck at all As mentioned I ll pay the ransom to Microsoft if that s my only option but I thought I d ask around first Thank you very much

A:Missing HAL.DLL & Recovery Console password problem

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htmScroll down to Hal.dll Is Missing comments by Alex Nichol.Another approach: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...ssinghaldll.htmMicrosoft guidance: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/246381/missing-haldll-recovery-console-password-problem/
Relevancy 73.1%

hi, i am the only user on my Laptop (administrator) i have run Recovery console, when it says 'type the administrator password' i type in the password i use every day. it says 'The password is not valid'?

does anyone know why this is?

ps. i have no system password (before windows login screen)

A:Recovery Console Admin Password 'Not Valid'?

Have you tried hitting enter without using a password ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-console-admin-password-not-valid.318769/
Relevancy 73.1%

When trying to boot into safe mode, the machine stops while trying to load agp440.sys

I want to disable the loading of this file in the recovery console, following these instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;324764

Now I am asked for an administrator password. As far as I know, there is no admin password on this machine, but just hitting ENTER does not do the trick.

How do I bypass the password?

Relevancy 73.1%

I was trying to get into the recovery console on the XP install CD and it asked me for the admin password. I don't recall setting a password while installing XP but if I did I know for certain what I used. But that one does not work.

I then booted normally and made sure that my administrator logon password was the same as the one I would have used while installing XP.

Then I tried again to get into the recovery console and again it does not recognize my password.

Is there a default password for XP home that is used if one does not set a password?

A:[SOLVED] admin password for recovery console

if you never did set up an administrative password, then just press enter. If that does not work, then unfortunately according to the rules we cannot help you bypass a password since it would seem there was one installed at one time.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-admin-password-for-recovery-console-289395.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I recently ran a System Repair on my XP Console and it booted up to an lsass.exe error sO i went straight to the Reocvery Console;. but now it asks for an Adminstrator Password, which i never set. I can't get into regedit and i've tried all the obvious passwords. Any help? I had this situation earlier but when the lsass.exe error popped up, I could hit F10 for cmd to start regedit during the system repair. Now it freezes on a black screen at high res beFORE the system repair blue screen.

Relevancy 73.1%

I need to get into the recovery console on a PC at work running Password Administrator Recovery Console INVALID Windows XP using the XP boot disks But I get to the point where it asks for the administrator Recovery Console INVALID Administrator Password password and am stuck I ve tried just pressing quot enter quot because there is no administrator password set up I asked the person who set Recovery Console INVALID Administrator Password it up and that doesn t work What happened was Recovery Console INVALID Administrator Password I screwed up when I was editing the registry to fix the UserInit registry value because of spyware wsaupdater exe Anyhow I typed the quot quot character where the quot quot character should have been And from searching different help forums I have found the solution to fix this but cannot get into the recovery console because it keeps giving me an quot invalid password quot message I REALLY NEED TO FIX THIS FAST As I said it s a computer I use at work and others also use it too SO PLEASE SOMEONE HELP nbsp

A:Recovery Console INVALID Administrator Password

Anyone, Help?!! I Was Hoping Someone Would Answer......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-console-invalid-administrator-password.266110/
Relevancy 73.1%

I need to get into the recovery console on a PC at work running Windows XP using the XP boot disks But I get to the point where it asks for the administrator password and am stuck I ve tried just pressing quot enter quot because Recovery Console Administrator INVALID Password there is no administrator password set up I asked the person who set it up and that doesn t work What happened was I screwed up when I was editing the registry to fix the UserInit registry value because of spyware wsaupdater exe Anyhow I typed the quot quot character where the quot quot character should have been And from searching different help forums I have found the solution to fix this but cannot get into the recovery console because it keeps giving me an quot invalid password quot message I Recovery Console INVALID Administrator Password REALLY NEED TO FIX THIS FAST As I said it s Recovery Console INVALID Administrator Password a computer I use at work and others also use it too SO PLEASE SOMEONE HELP nbsp

A:Recovery Console INVALID Administrator Password

Anyone, Help?!! I Was Hoping Someone Would Answer......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-console-invalid-administrator-password.266110/
Relevancy 73.1%

I _need_ to format my WinXP machine, so I boot from the XP CD, and go to the recovery console-- but it asks for an administrator password. I'm the admin my on XP install, but I never set a password for anything, at all.

How can I reset it? Get around it? Anything?

Relevancy 73.1%

Is there anyway to bypass the administrator password in the Recovery Console? Recovery in password the administrator Bypassing Console I Have a PC which installed Service Pack recently and is now continuously rebooting Here's how it all started At first I logged on as an admin to go to the microsoft wbesite and download Genuine Windows Advantage Tool then download Windows Service Pack No problems there Then my colleague logged off and logged on to her account to do her work After some time I went back to check on the installation progress of the Service Pack I logged off my colleague's account and logged on back to admin As soon as I hit enter after keying in the password the comp suddenly rebooted Now the first message I see is the light blue screen which says Windows did not shut down properly disk check will perform in I cancelled that disk check by pressing the spacebar And then still in the same screen a line came out which read Setup not complete was interrupted resetting configurations After that was done The black screen with the windows logo in the middle appeared and it started loading normally then the pc rebooted The light blue screen appears for a brief time with the message Bypassing administrator password in the Recovery Console? AUTOCHK not found - skipping autocheck Then there is a flash of Blue Screen Of Death before rebooting Since then that always happens when I start up the Bypassing administrator password in the Recovery Console? PC light blue screen black screen with windows logo AUTOCHK not found BSOD reboot Right now after looking through Jesper's Blog http msinfluentials com blogs jesp ng-xp-sp aspx I followed the instructions but am stuck at the password prompt The affected computer is connected to a network totalling computers plus a server and a hub Here's the catch in the user accounts there are four accounts Admin as quot Computer administrator quot Staff as quot Computer administrator quot Staff as quot Limited account quot Guest account I have entered both the admin's password and Staff 's password both have been registered as incorrect by the Recovery Console If anyone can provide information I will be very grateful as the affected computer is critical to the office

A:Bypassing administrator password in the Recovery Console?

Bump.

Weird, I got an email which said someone replied but there isn't any...

"CTSNKY has just replied to a topic you have subscribed to entitled - Bypassing administrator password in the Recovery Console? - in the Windows XP Support forum of Tech Support Forum."

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/bypassing-administrator-password-in-the-recovery-console-259070.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Had to run repair recovery console for xp sp3 in which it asked for administrator password. This was not the password to log into windows. This password request came up just after boot form cd. Now I can't even get to windows so I can put in user name and password. How do I clear any Administrator password or by pass it. I get error message after windows xp screen with bass.exe in top left and it says something about seeing this screen verifies that the correct password format is not correct. Any Ideas? Never seen this before.

A:Administrator Password error on recovery console of windows xp

If you did not set a password then you should be able to get in by just pressing enter. This password is typically set during installation of Windows.

Unfortunately, forum rules prohibit us from telling you how to clear or bypass the administrator password.

Quote:

ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES

Users may not post hacks, cracks, or give instruction how to pirate any type of software, or anything similar, in any forum of TSF. We do not condone, support or give instruction on any illegal activity pertaining to computer systems, computer hardware, computer software programs or computer related activities. Included in this group of activities are requests for help to circumvent system admin passwords or Administrator settings on networks. We do understand that the majority of requests may be legitimate, but we do not have the means to discern these from non-legitimate requests.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/administrator-password-error-on-recovery-console-of-windows-xp-332070.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello all I own a Compaq Pressario Laptop which recently crashed and will not start windows XP The error message reads that HAL DLL is missing I read a few things about this problem and followed the steps to enter the Recovery Console I am unable to view the Recovery Console though as i am asked to enter the Administrator Password I have tried everythign that i can think off blank Admin Compaq etc but nothing works I have also tried to setup the BIOS administrator password but as i found out latter these two are not related Recovery Windows Password. XP Andimistrator Console HAL.DLL) (missing and it didnt work anyways I contacted HP and the only advice they gave me is to format the hard drive and re-install XP I would like to try to recover data from my hard drive though and yes i know that i should have a back up I noticed also that microsoft offers a solution for this problem they suggest to download in floppy discs some start up information that would apparently correct the password issue I did not try this yet but i am just trying to figure out if someone had this problem before and if its possible to correct without formating the drive Also there are some parallel installs that i could make that would correct the problem Can anyone advise on the easyest and most efficient of those And a final question i hope i dont have to go there can i remove Windows XP (missing HAL.DLL) Recovery Console Andimistrator Password. the hard drive and connect to a different PC in order to recover information warranty expired anyways sorry for the long post and thanks for reading michalis nbsp

A:Windows XP (missing HAL.DLL) Recovery Console Andimistrator Password.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-missing-hal-dll-recovery-console-andimistrator-password.604036/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi I can't find my original installation CDs so I'm trying to create a Recovery Console disk before I embark on installing Linux dual-boot but that's another story I'm Console issue Recovery using the file as given in this thread SOLVED Recovery Console for win xp sp and other places on the forum and had no problem burning the image or Recovery Console issue getting my laptop Windows XP SP but out of date with respect to other security patches to boot from the CD When I try to test the CD though I end up at a BSoD Same problem as this thread Windows Xp he Recovery Disk Error - pci sys - urgent To restate I get into a blue dialogue which seems to be loading the program but I never get to the point where I can type quot R quot for Recovery Console Instead it stops I have to pull the plug to reboot and I get this error pci sys -- Address F BF base at F C DateStamp b d c Some of the solutions I have found to this problem imply it's an SP vs SP issue but the Recovery Console is supposed to be the same I tried to slipstream the iso I downloaded using the self-contained SP installer but I don't think that process works unless you have the full installation CD I would appreciate your help I am thisclose to just jumping in without a recovery cd and if Windows dies on me to hell with it

A:Recovery Console issue

Another thing, possibly related: I've been trying to run CHKDSK on reboot (2-3 times now) and it briefly goes to blue screen/looks as if it is loading, and then abruptly quits and continues to the Windows Login screen.

I have been trying to find the event in the event viewer, but I can't find anything referencing chkdsk from the latest boot, and when I look at events with "Winlogon" as the source, there's nothing at all recent.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-issue-664073.html
Relevancy 71.81%

hi. my computer has giving me a msg indicating a corrupted hive. i need to get into the recovery console from my xp disk and i forgot the admin password. is there a way that i can override this???

A:Need 2 login 2 Recovery Console, but 4got administrator password. How 2 override this

You could check out this link http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Be sure to read the FAQ.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-2-login-2-recovery-console-but-4got-administrator-password-how-2-override-this.374137/
Relevancy 71.81%

So I boot up Windows (XP Pro SP2) and after the loading screen, I get a black screen. I've googled the problem and can't find a way to fix it without using the recovery console. The problem is, as far as I remember, my Admin password is blank. However, when I press enter at the prompt without typing anything, it says I have the wrong password, so it's probably something else that I don't remember.

What I need is either another way to fix the black screen without recovery console, or a way to find or change the admin password.

I have a separate hard drive I can use as an alternate Windows install, so I can get into the HD of my original install, but can't access the original Windows.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

A:Blank screen on boot, or recovery console without Admin password

Sorry but TSF rules will not let us help bypass security measures of any kind.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/blank-screen-on-boot-or-recovery-console-without-admin-password-221761.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Help I have a vintage IBM R laptop running XPSP Yesterday I updated Mozilla Firefox to the latest version and things went to hell admin console excessive recovery now disk wants password accesses, The update took a couple of hours which was my first sign thing were going sideways Normal boot process takes forever with continuous disk accesses I can barely get the systme manager window open I can safe boot but cannot run AVG to see if there is a virus AVG reports an error and closes This is the paid for AVG not the free version If I try to start the XP Recovery Console it asks if I want to start Windows on drve C but then prompts for an excessive disk accesses, now recovery console wants admin password Administrator password I excessive disk accesses, now recovery console wants admin password NEVER set up an administrator password I am not even sure this problem is a virus but I am sure I need help PLEASE I was able to run FRST from BartPE and here are the results Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by SYSTEM on - - Running from D BleepingComuterMicrosoft Windows XP X OS Language Internet Explorer Version Boot Mode RecoveryThe current controlset is ControlSet ATTENTION gt FRST is updated to run from normal or Safe mode to produce a full FRST txt log and Addition txt log Registry Whitelisted HKLM Run SynTPEnh ProgramFiles Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe - - Synaptics Inc HKLM Run BluetoothAuthenticationAgent rundll exe bthprops cpl BluetoothAuthenticationAgent x HKLM Run Adobe ARM C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKLM Run x HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe - - Oracle Corporation HKLM Run AVG UI C Program Files AVG AVG avgui exe TRAYONLY - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o Winlogon excessive disk accesses, now recovery console wants admin password Notify igfxcui igfxsrvc dll Intel Corporation HKU Alison Run MSMSGS C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe background - - Microsoft Corporation HKU Alison Run IBM RecordNow x HKU Alison Run LDM C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe x HKU Alison Run ibmmessages C Program Files IBM Messages By IBM ibmmessages exe x HKU Ford Run MSMSGS C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe background - - Microsoft Corporation HKU Ford Run LDM C Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exe x HKU Home Laptop Run LG LinkAir x HKU Home Laptop Run x Startup C Documents and Settings All Users Start Menu Programs Startup Microsoft Office lnkShortcutTarget Microsoft Office lnk - gt C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE Microsoft Corporation Startup C Documents and Settings All Users Start Menu Programs Startup Windows Search lnkShortcutTarget Windows Search lnk - gt C Program Files Windows Desktop Search WindowsSearch exe Microsoft Corporation BootExecute autocheck autochk lsdeleteC PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe sync restart Services Whitelisted S AVGIDSAgent C Program Files AVG AVG avgidsagent exe - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S avgwd C Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe - - AVG Technologies CZ s r o S Crypkey License C Windows System crypserv exe - - CrypKey Canada Ltd S Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service C Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exe - - Lavasoft Limited S LkCitadelServer C WINDOWS system lkcitdl exe - - National Instruments Inc S lkClassAds C WINDOWS system lkads exe - - National Instruments Corporation S lkTimeSync C WINDOWS system lktsrv exe - - National Instruments Corporation S mxssvr C Program Files National Instruments MAX nimxs exe - - National Instruments Corporation S ni enumsvc C Windows system nipalsm exe - - National Instruments Corporation S NIDomainService C Program Files National Instruments Shared Security nidmsrv exe - - National Instruments Corporation S niSvcLoc C WINDOWS system nisvcloc exe - - National Instruments Corporation S PCToolsSSDMonitorSvc C Program Files Common Files PC Too... Read more

A:excessive disk accesses, now recovery console wants admin password

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer! I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:
*************************************************** In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/499735 <<< CLICK THIS LINK
If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.
***************************************************If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.A new DDS log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available. Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.
Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.
We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again: Download DDS by sUBs from the following link if you no longer have it available and save it to your destop.DDS.com Download LinkDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results. Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.
Information on A/V control can be found HERE.As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/499735/excessive-disk-accesses-now-recovery-console-wants-admin-password/
Relevancy 71.38%

Greetings I found this site to be useful for some issues I have been having Now I have a peculiar problem I have a Dell Inspiron m Laptop with WinXP SP installed in one partition and Ubuntu in the other I thought of removing Ubuntu as my hard disk capacity is less So when I popped in my Windows CD to get Recovery Console it loads all the way till before I get the menu screen and suddenly I get a BSOD with the following technical information STOP X E XC XF F E XF F XF F ntfs sys - Address F F E base at F Datestamp cea The error suggested me to check XP recovery SP2 console issue Windows BIOS updates and disable BIOS cacheing My BIOS is up-to-date and drivers are all compatible as I did the compatibility checks too In fact other than this problem I have a perfect running system I read the stop error articles Windows XP SP2 recovery console issue on support base and found out stop x e was related to system Windows XP SP2 recovery console issue handler exception but the next line ntfs sys throws me off My windows partitions are FAT Moreover CHKDSK did not throw any errors on my hard disk I tried installing Recovery Console on the hard disk but I get the same BSOD even after a successful install Right now I am clueless but I am running memtest tonite and I will post the results tomorrow If anyone can help me in this peculiar situation your help is greatly appreciated Thanks Lex

A:Windows XP SP2 recovery console issue

I did a memtest86 and had no errors. I ran it upto 10 cycles. I checked the harddisk, driver compatibilty and found zilch errors. I also used an application called Program Checker whic turned out fine. So I have no clue on why this error keeps on popping up. I hope someone has a solution

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-sp2-recovery-console-issue-109506.html
Relevancy 70.52%

XP boots up--can get to safe mode menu, if I choose last known good configuration it just keeps restarting....if I choose safe mode, keeps restarting. Seems to hang on windows\system32\drivers\Mup.sys

When I boot to XP cd and go to restore menu--I don't get an option to choose 1 or 2. I only get a c:>promopt.

Any suggestions as to what may be the problem? I did try to fixboot and it never got past 27% --2 days worth of letting it sit. It finally froze at the number.

Relevancy 70.52%

Hello,I am in the process of starting to tackle killing a virtumonde virus on my computer and am making a recovery console per the instructions on the http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix page. It directed me to the http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-install-the-windows-xp-recovery-console/ page which has instructions on making a recovery console from the XP Installation CD. When I run the D:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons command from the run window, I get a message that setup could not continue because the version of Windows on my computer is newer than the version on the CD. This is the CD I used to install the OS, so other than upgrading to ServicePack 3, I don't know why this would be. Suggestions?Thanks so much in advance for the help!

A:Version issue with XP Recovery Console Creation

HiSee the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article about this problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898594/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/186368/version-issue-with-xp-recovery-console-creation/
Relevancy 70.09%

For some reason my wireless internet connection deleted itself s So i decided to do a system restore back to a previous point This was successful and the wireless connection was setup again However the same problem occured when i attempted to do another system restore the computer failed to boot It console reinstall Computer Admin password asks up, wont it or recovery for use start because Cant turns on ok but with a black screen showing a msg which says quot initiating quot some process sorry i forgot Computer wont start up, Cant use recovery console or reinstall because it asks for Admin password ill post what it keeps saying when i get back home to the broken pc The real problem i have now is when i went to my boot options to do somthing like a reinstall it asked for my admin password This is normally no problem but for some reason its not accepting my password saying its invalid I m not sure if some virus has somehow changed my Admin password because i am positive i am typing in the correct password I am locked out of my pc unable to do any reinstall or anything Is there anyway i can restore my pc without losing the data Even if i end up having to take it to some kind of pc repair shop that would be preferable as there are some invaluable photos documents etc However i am a bit reluctant to give it over to someone else to repair it as the pc also some of my bank account details on there Is there any solution Thanks in advance

A:Computer wont start up, Cant use recovery console or reinstall because it asks for Admin password

Hi booworthy,

It's an interesting problem, so getting the full error message would be helpful.

Zllio

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/229495/computer-wont-start-up-cant-use-recovery-console-or-reinstall-because-it-asks-for-admin-password/
Relevancy 69.66%

Thanks in advance,

Every time I turn on my PC, the Windows Recovery Console comes up, explaining that I have a made a recent hardware change that is causing startup problems.

I have never made, to my knowledge, ANY hardware changes whatsoever.

There is a younger family member in our house who uses this PC constantly, yet knows very little about PCs.

I cannot install any Security Updates without restarting!

A:Security Issue / Windows Recovery Console Problems!

try pressing f8 when booting and from the boot options choose
last known good configuration
i have never struck this before,if you type help in the recovery console it will give you a list of the commands available

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/security-issue-windows-recovery-console-problems-29501.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I was out of town for a week and came back to my computer off and unable to boot back up I've been able to get this much information quot the following file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS SYSTEM CONFIG SYSTEM quot and using the CHKDSK command reports at completed that quot The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable quot Using the original XP installation disk I've tried to use the Recovery Console I only get as far as the screen asking which windows installation I want to use Initially I had two HDDs and thought the issue might be there but even disconnecting the other so that there is only one option to console System missing/corrupt, file issue recovery using select I'm not able to get past this prompt I type quot quot for the installation detected press enter and ever hours later nothing has happened Trying to use this HDD as an external drive to just recover software or see if the bad file assuming it's the only one can be replaced the drive is seen as unformated Any suggestions to try would be greatly appreciated

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-file-missing-corrupt-issue-using-recovery-console-1069514.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello I am currently experiencing an issue with my old desktop PC and even after Googling for hours and trying all of the advice I ve found on several sites still have been unable to solve so I turn to you all Issue Kernel" DLLs Console) to XP Boot Recovery Needed "Load for (Not Able with the experts to hopefully be able to help me The desktop is a Compaq Presario running Windows XP Home Edition Long story short we ve had the "Load Needed DLLs for Kernel" Issue with XP (Not Able to Boot Recovery Console) computer just sitting around for quite awhile I got a BSOD on it around but I didn t really have the time at that point to sit down and figure out anything more beyond that I m not really looking to continue using the computer for anything else in the future but do have a lot of un-backed up files on it "Load Needed DLLs for Kernel" Issue with XP (Not Able to Boot Recovery Console) that I d love to get off of it if possible When I attempt to boot up the computer normally I get the error Windows could not start because of an error in the software Please report this problem as load needed DLLs for kernel Please contact your support person to report this problem I know this is a common error as I ve been able to find several walk-throughs for this problem but none of them have been able to help me thus far This is largely because I am having issues entering the Recovery Console that all of the help sites I ve found require getting to first in order to execute the proper commands that would repair the damaged files I do not have original installation media for Windows XP as my computer did not come with any when I first purchased it back in To that extent I downloaded the iso file of Windows XP Home Edition SP directly from Windows and successfully burned it onto a disc I have changed the boot sequence in BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first priority to boot up and have placed my disc with the burned iso in the drive I am able to get to the screen which says Press any key to boot from CD so I hit enter but when I do I get a few more periods like it is loading before being taken back to the exact same error message about load needed DLLs for kernel For what it s worth I am also not able to boot the computer in Safe Mode at all As you can tell I m starting to get pretty frustrated by the process so I would welcome any tips with where to go from here Thanks

A:"Load Needed DLLs for Kernel" Issue with XP (Not Able to Boot Recovery Console)

Press keys other than "Enter" to see if that helps.
Once the periods show up, stop pressing the keys

Have you run any diagnostics on the system?  If not, try these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html
Start with the hard drive diagnostics (as there may be a hard drive problem.

Try another bootable recovery console image.  Here's the results of a search I made:  https://www.google.com/search?q=bootable+xp+recovery+console&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577642/load-needed-dlls-for-kernel-issue-with-xp-not-able-to-boot-recovery-console/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello Bleepers Wow It s been a long time since i have needed your support Firstly Happy New Year to all Secondly Oh do I need your help desperately I was online earlier today and all of sudden i noticed my computer started to run slower Then i saw a yellow triangle with exclamation appear in the system tray bottom right Since i have seen malware and spyware before i was immediately alerted and had a bad feeling I closed internet explorer and noticed two files on my desktop one looked like a folder and the other a strange file I never put them there obv Something malicious must have intruded my system while i was surfing Malware Pop Ups began almost instantly Since i was worried i didnt wait to see what they were pretending to offer or be It appeared similar to most scanner spyware I shut down my pc right after malwarebytes would not load It stated some sort of hard drive error which i assumed was fake Upon rebooting I was unable to load windows I had previously installed the recovery on /r ran chkdsk left) - recovery on console Malware Screen Too after Issue I Black Cursor Blinking (top console which i was able to access I did a little reading and loaded the recovery console I read that running quot chkdsk r quot might solve the problem Well it found some errors Blinking Cursor (top left) on Black Screen after I ran chkdsk /r on recovery console - Malware Issue Too after a lenghty check and said it fixed them I then rebooted Now all i get is the blink cursor in the top left corner immediately following the dell splash screen I am only able to get F and F to work The bios does recognize the hard drive PLEASE HELP I did take a screen shot of the finished chkdsk r page from the recovery console if you would like me to post it Please help me I m really bummed Thanks - JP

A:Blinking Cursor (top left) on Black Screen after I ran chkdsk /r on recovery console - Malware Issue Too

Malware topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic374227.htmlNow that your topic is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MR Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/373465/blinking-cursor-top-left-on-black-screen-after-i-ran-chkdsk-r-on-recovery-console-malware-issue-too/
Relevancy 66.65%

It seems to me that XP's recovery console is somewhat better than the one that comes with Vista or 7, unless someone can point me in the right direction for finding further documentation on this topic.

The main difference is the lack of ability to tinker with services (LISTSVC / ENABLE / DISABLE commands). A missed opportunity is the lack of registry tweaking, considering that REGEDIT can be run, but I think it only allows you to look at the registry for the recovery console rather than the main Windows installation, which doesn't help much (though I haven't tried to import/mount the registry file from the main Windows installation).

Thoughts/suggestions?

A:XP recovery console versus Vista/7's recovery console

You can create a Window PE (Pre-installation Enviroment) disk which is a cut down version of Windows with a command line interface so that you can tinker with the OS.

See for info: New Features of Windows PE 3.0 - Windows 7 Tutorial

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/198145-xp-recovery-console-versus-vista-7s-recovery-console.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello,

Hoping to avoid a full reinstall of Windows XP, I'd like to try some repair procedures. The problem is, when I launch my "Vaio PCV-RS430G" recovery disc it goes straight to Sony's proprietary recovery interface which provides ONLY the preset option to wipe my 'c' drive and reinstall Windows. According to some MS articles I've read, an XP recovery disc should allow me to access the Windows Recovery Console (by typing "R" at the welcome screen). Can anyone suggest how I can bypass the Sony recovery and get to the Windows Recovery Console?

BTW, I have a "Spotmau PowerSuite 2008" CD. Just mentioning this in case it might be of some use here. Any help would be VERY MUCH appreciated

A:Unmountable Volume - Can't Launch XP Recovery Console Through Recovery Disc

Recovery discs that come with your pc usually only offer the option to reset to factory conditions

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unmountable-volume-cant-launch-xp-recovery-console-through-recovery-disc.747136/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello My first post here except for introducing myself My problem is with my son s HP Pavilion a n It is running Windows XP Media Center Edition Awhile back he was notified of some important Windows updates and started to install them During the process he lost his internet connection and was not able to complete the update Consequently when he tried to boot up the next time the system would not boot I don t know if there were any error messages displayed at this point but what happened next is where the problem started He not knowing enough about Windows recovery console panicked and after not being able to even boot into SafeMode jumped right into a recovery operation When he saw that the operation was going to restore to the same state as when he bought it he panicked again about losing all his family photos and music and unplugged the machine Needless to say the system is now completely unusable I pulled his hard drive and connected it to mine and with the help of a free recovery program Piriform s Recuva i am able to see and recover all of his data However it is a (recovery recovery to undo operation Hoping partial console) tedious and time consuming Hoping to undo partial recovery operation (recovery console) process and I am wondering if there is any way to undo the damage he did and get it back to a bootable condition keeping all his data in place Any help would be greatly appreciatd because he may not have his original restore disks Thanks in advance for your consideration

A:Hoping to undo partial recovery operation (recovery console)

If you have the installation CD you can do a repair installation. This will not affect any of the data or applications.Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/347928/hoping-to-undo-partial-recovery-operation-recovery-console/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi, my computer stays unusable during actions made told by a moderator on this forum, told me to use Defrogger and disable cd-emulation

Then my whole computer crashed...
Now i need someone that could help me restore my registry or something, with recovery console and fix this,
cause i can't move mouse/keyboard anymore ..

I currently hate "boopme" somoderator....!!

A:XP Recovery console anyone? help

AFAIK, defragger wont cause a computer crash, and neither will disabling cd-emulation. Can you post a link to the topic where this advice was given?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/311294/xp-recovery-console-anyone-help/
Relevancy 54.18%

I'm trying to use the recovery console. Once in it, it prompts me for a administrator password. All acounts on this computer don't have a password. Help!

A:Recovery Console

space then enter :D

or just enter

or if your using Pro, the password of the 1st account you set up.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-2873.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi Does anyone have an idea how to install the Windows Recovery Console WinXP Pro under Service Pack I ve searched for this and came up with nothing Going through the normal process of Clicking on Start gt Run Entering D i winnt exe cmdcons Gives me this strange message quot You have a newer version of Windows XP on your computer Windows setup cannot continue Pro SP2 WXP and Console Recovery quot and I click on Ok and it doesn t install I have tried this on another computer updated with SP and it seems to install fine but how do I get it to install on SP I later found out that Windows XP Setup creates a CMDCONS folder on the C drive number partition and copies some files there off the CD when it installs knew this from examining the other computer I Recovery Console and WXP Pro SP2 also found out that the First Recovery Console and WXP Pro SP2 Part of Setup that runs under Windows copies some files to a folder on the hard drive that including those copied to the CMDCONS directory when installing the Recovery Console manually that Recovery Console and WXP Pro SP2 s why we get an option to run the recovery console during setup So I copied that folder CMDCONS from another Windows XP Pro computer where it installed the recovery console to mine but another problem came up A BOOTSECT DAT file is created in the C CMDCONS folder that contains the necessary boot sector information to boot to the recovery console I know that this file is specific to each computer as after adding this line to my boot ini file C Cmdcons bootsect dat quot Windows Recovery Console quot under Operating System and choosing that option from the boot menu It gives this error message Remove any disks from their drives Press any key to restart or something like that I can t remember exactly This error message indicates an invalid BOOTSECT DAT file If there s no way to install it normally from the WXP Pro Setup CD can anyone suggest a way to manually install the recovery console I have MBRTool as well as Norton s DISKEDIT EXE so I can dump a boot record to a single file eg BOOTSECT DAT but which boot record Please reply Thanks very much for all your help nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

My computer spontaneously crashed and will not boot to windows, giving the error that the following file is missing or corrupt:

windows\system32\config\system

I have been able to start recovery console, but when it puts me at the Windows prompt (I mean c:\windows), I don't know what it wants me to type. I've looked at the help list of commands, but don't know where to start.

Also, any idea what the cause of this error is? We have a firewall, up to date Norton anti virus.... could it be hardware? It's about 3.5 years old, custom build.

Thanks.

A:how do i use recovery console?

Before I'd use recovery console, I'd try repairing the Windows installation.

On the first screen after it boots to the CD, select "Install Windows XP ..." and on the next screen you'll see an option to "Repair". Choose the partition and enter an "R" to repair it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-use-recovery-console.277650/
Relevancy 54.18%

First off thanks for taking the time to click this thread Ok so my windows xp computer has for the second time last time it was around Recovery console? a month ago begun restarting on start-up every time I turn on my PC The first time it wouldn t even go to safe Recovery console? mode but this time is is and I m currently in safe mode with networking Also last time the comp kept randomly rebooting for about a month before it went and this one just went suddenly Last time I reinstalled windows with the disk But that did get rid of all my settings drivers and some programs stopped working ect so it was kind of like I formatted my computer though it did keep all my actual documents ect I thought that was fine though and didn t have any unexpected problems from then until now gt lt I tried system restore but all that did was just get rid of the drivers I reinstalled just prior to the checkpoint I went to for sound and graphics so my sound is gone and my windows scrolling have gone all weird for the time being and the same reboot problem keeps happening with it asking to go to last known good configuration ect I ve heard about the quot recovery console quot on another thread that was years ago I Googled quot computer restarts on startup quot and it gave these instructions Place your xp cd in the rom drive and boot up You should see this message - PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD Press enter and windows will load allow it to fully load before next step Press R that will take you into the recovery console Next you will be asked which installation of windows you want to load press making sure your numbers are enabled then enter You will now be asked for your administrator password type this in and press enter If you do not have a password just press enter At the C promt type FIXBOOT and press enter When the new boot record is written type exit but I m not quite sure what it does can anyone tell me what it is if it would fix my problem and what I should do Thanks again nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

Have a bit version of Vista Home Premium running on a Dell Inspiron All of a sudden it simply stopped working It will not boot in normal mode or safe mode or safe mode with command prompt or last good configuration et al They all take me to the same black screen with options - Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally Either of those options takes me back to that same screen I tried selecting the option for disengaging the automatic restart Recovery OS - Console No on an error but it does nothing but take me to those same choices Doesn't even have the decency to give me a BSOD Further problems - This Dell DID NOT come with any disks I do have a Vista Home Premium disk from Microsoft Recovery Console - No OS that I have used to attempt repairs bur when it hits the recovery screen where it lists the OS there is nothing there If I press F to load Recovery Console - No OS drivers and click on Computer there is nothing listed next to Local Disk C If I click on it I get a msg that says the disk must be formatted before I can use it On the next screen Startup Repair does nothing but run for a lonnnng time then suggest I restart to see if the repairs have worked They haven't The command prompt is useless since I can't get to the drive with Windows on it If I type C and press enter I get a msg Data Error Cyclic Redundancy Check The last fly in the ointment is the product code sticker In their infinite wisdom Dell put in on the bottom of the laptop Over the years being on people's laps or on their knees the product code on the sticker has worn away to the point where it's become unreadable Perhaps if I had a Dell Vista disk I could reinstall without the product key but possessing only a Microsoft disk sort of closes that avenue If I select Install from the Recovery screen I am immediately prompted for the product code I have run Seagate HD diagnostics which finds bad sectors but cannot repair them At the Recovery command prompt I can run chkdsk f but of course it will not run immediately and if I schedule it to run a next startup it will of course do nothing since it fails to detect a C drive or an operating system SFC scannow and System Restore are useless for the same reasons Ditto for Bootrec fixboot and fixmbr So tell me am I f ked

A:Recovery Console - No OS

Well,

I would say yes & no! Contact DEL & obtain a replacement HDD from them & you should get the recovery partition data too.

That will allow you to recover the PC to Factory Day one without the Label? Well it does on other machines. If not, again speak to DELL & they should have the a record of the code issued with that PC.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/288759-recovery-console-no-os.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Can anyone help me create a bootable XP recovery console CD. My grandson's computer has crashed with the message that the hal.dll file is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled. He doesn't have the original installation cd. Everything I find about fixing this states I need to get to the recovery console. Help!

A:Need recovery console cd

Try the following, http://artellos.com/arcdc-page

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/379712/need-recovery-console-cd/
Relevancy 54.18%

Well my Win XP home SP has been broken for quite some time now I need to access the recovery Recovery console, help! Can't use console but I can't because the computer doesn't recognize the quot Administrator quot password I had to move the repair sam system files to the regular ones because they were missing and that was my st problem After I did that to try to fix it I get the Can't use Recovery console, help! XP loading screen but I can't access the recovery console now The Admin password is not recognized According to MS this was fixed in SP http support microsoft com kb My recovery console cd must not have sp in it because it doesn't work How can I get a CD with recovery console sp which is what I have My laptop does not have a floppy disk drive so I can't use the floppy disks In short I need to access the recovery disk to attempt to fix my laptop from loading after the Win XP loading screen any help and all is appreciated thanks

A:Can't use Recovery console, help!

Bump! School starts monday for me and I want to have my laptop fixed by then... I can't use this desktop for school, I appreciate any help, thank you!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-use-recovery-console-help-280981.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I had to do some house cleaning and used ComboFix which installed the Windows Recovery Console. Now every time I boot the Recovery Console screen pops up for about 3 seconds. How can I stop the pop up?

Recovery Console is a good thing to have installed on your computer, in can be very helpful to trouble shoot problems. If you really need to get rid of it, then you will have to edit the Boot.ini file.
How to remove Windows Recovery Console

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-660857.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I want to know how to use the recovery console... Say i want to replace or fix the windows files, how would i do that?

My computer is not broken,yet... but it has been breaking a lot. The other day i got a message saying that the /windows/system32/config/system file was corrupt and to go to the recovery console to fix it... but how would i fix it from there?

Relevancy 54.18%

Got an error message saying that I have a missing file and to run recovery console with the XP cd in the cd rom to fix the problem. Can anyone tell me how to run recovery console?

Relevancy 54.18%

I need to get rid of a rogue folder full of files. \Recycler\Nprotect\*.*
I'm told I can do it using the recovery console. It won't let me access the folder. I have the set command I need to get access, but it tells me the set command is disabled. How can I enable the set command in XP home sp2?
Thanks for any help.

A:Recovery Console help.

Hi gcurley, welcome to TSF..

do you currently have the associated Norton product installed?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-help-160098.html
Relevancy 54.18%

In the recovery console, what does it say? Right before the cursor.. shouldn't it be just this:

:>_

??
-blitze

Relevancy 54.18%

Been reading and searching for an explanation of Recovery Console!
Is this on the WXP retail disk or in XP somewhere?

I don't have a retail on XP as I have a preinstall Wxp home edition OEM eMachine and all I got with it was a Norton Ghost disk to reinstall and no option to repair!

Am I correct that Recovery Console is on the Retail XP disk that gives you so much more?

Thanks Still learning!

Relevancy 54.18%

Hi, I had a problem earlier regarding an UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME error.

I'm supposed to use chkdsk /r using the xp pro floppys.

I made the boot disks, got to the console, but when I try chkdsk.exe /r
it asks me for the location of autochk.exe
I've tried C:\Windows\System32 and A:\ but it's not working :|

The file IS located in C:\Windows\System32, but nothing is working :|

Any help would be great

Relevancy 54.18%

i download an rc.iso and burned it to a cd. i wanted to delete everything and start all over again like when i first got it. it is windows xp. so i deleted partition c and then created a new one. so then i tried to install windows xp with the cd. it said that eula (end user liscence agreement) cannot be found. so i tried the copy command D:\i386\eula.txt C: and i got ACCESS DENIED. what the frik is this? i didnt really know what i was doing. please help me thanks

Relevancy 54.18%

My computer kept constantly rebooting before it would go into Windows XP so I could not change any configurations or anything.

I downloaded the six setup boot disks, installed them ok (after changing the boot order in the BIOS) and now I am at the recovery console portion.

I DO NOT HAVE THE WINXP CD!

I tried to run chkdsk /r at the command prompt and it couldn't do that.

What should I do now?

Any recovery console experts out there I would REALLY appreciate any help. I'm losing my mind!

A:Please Help with Recovery Console!

ak: I was following your previous post about this problem. I have a suggestion for you.
Since you got an I/O error on the floppy disk, I think the disk is corrupt. Try putting that disk in your working machine and then go to Start>Run> type A:/ and press Enter and see if it gives you the same I/O error. If it does, this confirms that the disk is indeed corrupt, and you will need to make new ones. If it does not, stop it, then you will have to go back into the bios. I'm not so sure that having a ! in front of your Legacy drives means that they are enabled. If you get that same error, go back into the bios and remove the ! from all of your drives except the Network drive. Then try again.

I'm hoping that I have helped you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-with-recovery-console.409191/
Relevancy 54.18%

greetings,
about a couple of weeks ago, i posted a problem i had with my pc and got some help from some good people here. the problem is that it hasnt been rectified
yet, and now my pc wont even start in safe mode. i was thinking that maybe i need to use the recovery console. but b4 i do any more damage, i would like to ask someone for help.
when i disable automatic start up to read the stop message, this is what came up:,

stop: 0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0xbf81e7b6, 0xb6299a6c, 0x0000000000)

win32k.sys - address bf81e7b6 base at bf800000, datestamp 4a8564c7
my make and model is :

kds usa 2004
amd sempron 2800+
via kt600 chipset

it's older than god, i know.

A:I need help with the recovery console....

Hey SupaSpirmI suggest you go thru and run Recovery Console.Just use chkdsk /r, see if that can fix the problem.If that does not work:Do you have any third-party remote control tools? That is the reasoning behind the problem stated here.If you need help with any of these steps please don't hesitate to post and ask for more instruction! ~powerjuce

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/278883/i-need-help-with-the-recovery-console/
Relevancy 54.18%

if I have a system running ME can I use the XP recovery console CD?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/me-recovery-console-with-xp.607934/
Relevancy 54.18%

I am confused about the myriad of options and combinations to manage partitions.

Trying to recover a HD with a virus. Using the cd-rom XP Home ed

I get past F8 ok.. then what do I do so I dont blow away the HD data?

A:using xp recovery console

Brook, we can't really help with virus removal in this part of the forum, you would have to create a new post in the Virus section. Here are the first step instructions. NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

If you want to recover your personal files first, a better option might be to download a bootable version of Linux and burn it to a CD. You can boot to it then copy your files to something like a flash drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/using-xp-recovery-console-595661.html
Relevancy 54.18%

do you know if/how you can undo the "fixboot" command in the winXP recovery console?

**Use this command to write the new Windows boot sector code on the system partition. In the command syntax, drive name is the drive letter where the boot sector will be written. This command fixes damage in the Windows boot sector. This command overrides the default of writing to the system boot partition. FIXBOOT is supported only on x86-based computers. **
well it fixed it alright. now the drive says it has no data what so ever on the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-console.158054/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi All

I am wondering that if you let me know the recovery console utility and its uses. Thanks

Muzokh

Here is 2 links that can provide some information.
Can I ask why you are interested?
These are very powerful tools, and if used incorrectly can render a system useless.

What happened to the Recovery Console?

Get the Recovery Console back in Windows 7

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/recovery-console-637222.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I installed Recovery Console on my PC and it installed over my Windows install.
Can I reverse this?
How do I find my Windows.
I previously had 2 Windows (default) partitions listed. 
One did nothing and the other was my Windows xp pro.
RC installed over this partition.
I also had switched the boot from Custom to Normal.
Is there a solution/

A:Recovery console

Moved to XP forum for more exposure and since no malware issues were stated.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/525329/recovery-console/
Relevancy 54.18%

Please could somebody tell me how to replace system files of an XP installation that you are not
able to access using the windows sytem recovery console and which commands you use.
thanks

A:recovery console

If you made one, the ERD (Emergency Repair Disk) would do that.

Or you might be able to run SFC from the console. If not, you'll need to use the "Extract" command.

Another option would be to run a "Repair" installation of XP which will fix anything that is missing or corrupt...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-console.82546/
Relevancy 54.18%

Is it normal that on my XP PC that every time I use Combofix - even within a couple of days, i still have to install the recovery console even though i already have 1000 times and never uninstalled it. It always says it's not installed and i have to download it every time i use cf.

A:Recovery console

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. This is because people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (i.e. Malware Response Team) who is assisting a member deal a malware issue on that system. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Further, using ComboFix is only one part of the disinfection process. Preliminary scans from other tools like DDS, RSIT and GMER should be used first because they provide comprehensive logs with specific details about files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection. Analysis of those logs allows planning an strategy for effective disinfection and a determination if using ComboFix is necessary. Please read the pinned topic ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here. If you ran ComboFix just to see what it does or finds, also be aware that ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for viruses.With that said, what specific issues are you having that requires continued use of ComboFix?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/393310/recovery-console/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi all, I have a windows xp pro machine wich keeps turning off after the xp splat.

I need to get into recovery console to fixboot, mbr or one of them.

I can't get into the recovery console though, when I boot from my XP disk - it just doesn't come up?

Takes me straight through, as if installing xp

Any ideas?

A:No recovery console - Win XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307654

is that any help ??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-recovery-console-win-xp.706704/
Relevancy 54.18%

a thank you in advance for anyone offering their advice.
Im missing oleaut32.dll , i have the cd and just need help with extracting it in the recovery console.. help!

A:recovery console help

Hello arrrnold

Configure your PC to boot from CD if it isn't already set up that way. (You may need to enter the BIOS to configure the PC to boot from the CD.)

Start your PC with the XP Setup CD in the drive. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD..." prompt, do so and let the CD-based boot process begin.

When the Recovery Console option is offered (Press R to start the Recovery Console), do so. You may be asked which Windows installation to enter, in which case type the number of the Windows installation you wish to work on (usually 1).

When prompted, enter the Administrator's password for that Windows installation. If you did not set a password just press ENTER

At the command prompt, type

expand d:\i386\oleaut32.dl_ c:\windows\system32
(where d: is the drive of your CD-ROM)

ENTER

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-help-234076.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Can you please tell me how to install a recovery console if i don't have an internet connection. Can i download the file manually? and follow the steps?

If you don't have an Internet connection, how are you going to download the file manually?Have you read How to install and use the Windows XP Recovery Console?...The setup program will then attempt to do a Dynamic Update to make sure you have the latest files as shown below...Press ESC to cancel Dynamic Update. Installation will continue using the existing Setup software...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/161979/recovery-console/
Relevancy 54.18%

my computer wouldnt start even in safe mode and i tried to do system restore or recovery and it wouldnt work

i just got a c prompt in dos

windows 98 appears to be easier to do this

Relevancy 54.18%

A friend give me an HP Pavillion 780c computer in working condition. He doesn't have the win xp disc and I want to reformat and reinstall the OS. Can I do that with the Recovery Console? If so, how do I do it?

No, you can't. You will need the disk to reinstall, though I believe you can format from in there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-255369.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I installed sp2. my computer won't boot. I look it up on microsoft and they have a tutorial on how to fix it. I follow the instructions, reboot my computer, boot from the xp cd...

it says to press "r" to get into the recovery console. the recovery console isn't there ! I only have "automated system recovery" or a new windows setup

what can I do? is there anywhere to get JUST a disc with the recovery console, and nothing else (that's bootable)? please help desperate to get back on old computer THANK YOU TECH GUYSZ

A:recovery console- WHERE IS IT ?!

It sounds like you are using a "Recovery" disk that comes with most big box computers like dell, gateway, etc. The RC is not an option on those types of disks. It must be a regular MS cd; not one from a mfg.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-console-where-is-it.303219/
Relevancy 54.18%

I had a problem with some of my other drives losing everything I have a SiS IDE system so I thought it might be the SiS driver But if you don't use their driver everything runs in PIO mode which is almost unusable I would run chkdsk when these things happened but what finally happened is that I needed to run chkdsk on the main XP drive Then chkdsk failed with an unspecified error When I would reboot it would blue screen So I went into the XP recovery console and ran that chkdsk and that seemed to work But then it would come up into a login logoff loop So I decided to try the console recovery XP anything! see can't XP repair 'nd option That froze XP recovery console can't see anything! the machine XP recovery console can't see anything! after XP recovery console can't see anything! a long time at Installing Network After I rebooted I went back to the XP recovery console to run chkdsk but it saw no C WINDOWS and the MAP command did not show the drive Has anyone seen anything like this before I have a lot of valuable personal data there What can I do to recover XP

A:XP recovery console can't see anything!

Welcome to TSF....

To recover the important data you can use this procedure:

Emergency Backup Procedure from TSF

http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...procedure.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-recovery-console-cant-see-anything-311359.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I am running windows xp home,
my computer is running poorly, delay in opening programs and internet,
i installed recovery console, and it says to activate it from the startup menu.??
I CANT FIND IT
anyone please help.
thank you.

It means the startup menu, where you would select what OS you want to boot from, that is if you've installed the recovery console correctly..
If you goto my computer properties, Click on advanced tab, and click on startup and recovery settings.
In here you can see the 'startup list' and the time that they will be displayed for, you can change what to boot off by default etc, but be careful, as changing the wrong things could render you an unbootable PC!!
Hope this helped!!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-261552.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi guys, I'm new to posting here but have lurked for a while now to try to find answers to questions. My desktop, with XP home, would not boot up this morning. Said something about missing required files and I needed to run repair off my desk. So I did, but the setup gave me another error saying it was missing files. So at this point I can't get into anything, only dump the drive and start over or enter Recovery Console and do whatever I can. So basically what I what to know is, can I copy the contents of "my documents" onto a removeable drive? If i can do that, then I will just wipe the drive and start over. Or if anyone knows an easier way, I am at my wits end with this thing and would love any help. Thanks

A:Using Recovery Console

heres a list off comands you can use in the recovery consol.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

try again and right down the exact error

there may be a few comands in the recovery consol you could try

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-recovery-console.329808/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi, I tried getting into RC and when admin password popped up I tried hitting enter but it didn't take. I tried taking a guess on what it might be that didn't take either, how do i get around this please? I appreciate any help.

thanks

A:Recovery console on XP

Log on with another account that has admin rights and change the adminstrator's password

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-console-on-xp.542439/
Relevancy 54.18%

Where can I find a recovery console download for XP SP3? I had tried nstall it from the XP SP2 CD and when I went to run it I couldn't. I got an "OS is newer that this file sort of message" Not the exact wording but clear enough. When I ran a check on the boot path I got a message that it was an invalid OS.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-for-xp-sp3-302726.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hey, people out there reading this, who never reply.

I need to remove a directory in recovery console.I'm trying to use the command "rd /s c:\wxp1", but everytime I do, I get the error "The parameter is not valid" Try /? for help.

I've tried doing "rd /s c:\wxp1" as well, but it doesn't work.. can someone help me???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-recovery-console.1066517/
Relevancy 54.18%

My computer wouldn't boot up so I used the recovery console but it has been at 52% for about 30 minutes. Is that normal and if it isn't what do I do now.

A:Recovery Console XP

First thing I woul do is to take the drive out and attach it to a working pc to attempt to salvage any data I cherished . . then download and run diagnostics to rule out failure.

Samsung http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_HUTIL.html
Seagate/Maxtor/Quantum http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
fujitsu/Seimens http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/#diagnostic
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-console-xp.694393/
Relevancy 54.18%

I need some help with the recovery console.

I am trying to do this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q307545/

and when i try to do the section,

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

it tells me the specified file was not found.

Relevancy 54.18%

Hello,

When I am in the Recovery Console and type in attrib -h -s -r c:\boot.ini, I get the error "The parameter is not valid".

Can anyone help?

Thank You

Relevancy 54.18%

Have original reinstallation cd for microsoft xp home edition (by dell) but following bp directions (D:\i386\WINNT32.EXE/cmdcoms) I get message saying windows cannot find

any advice appreciated neil

Whst SP you have on your system and what version of the CD you use....

See this will help or not

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=898594

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/408148/recovery-console/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a Dell System that got unplugged while it was open and at the desktop. The operating system is Windows XP Professional. When I plugged the power cord back in and tried to reboot I get an error message: WINDOWS ROOT>\SYSTEM32\NOTSKRNL.EXE IS CORRUPT OR MISSING. I was researching on answers.microsoft.com and one blog said I can create a bootable XP Console CD when no XP media is available by following the directions in this link: http:www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic 276537.thml. Thats how I found this web site and registered tonight, but so far have not found the directions to do so. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

A:XP Recovery Console CD

Please try the following ... On a working computer, create a bootable XP Recovery Console CD.Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.Double-click ARCDC.exeFollow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick the appropriate selection, for example: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
( Replace "Windows Professional SP2 & SP3" with the OS required. <<< IMPORTANT)You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft: Please accept.You will see a few DOS screens flash by: This is normal.Next you will be able to choose to add extra files: Select the Default Files.The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.Burn the .ISO image file to a CD, to make a bootable CD.

(The ISO file is located on your Desktop.) On the ailing computer, run chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console to repair the file system.Insert the newly created XP Recovery Console CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed.
If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt.At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.Does Windows start normally now?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/421198/xp-recovery-console-cd/
Relevancy 54.18%

I had a really bad bunch of malware. Combofix seemed to clear it all out but damaged the os. Hard to get rid of trojans so I probably should reformat the disk.

I did an OS reinstall because that seemed to be the only option. Then it wouldnit boot to Windows. So I ran an XP repair. After a few non-starts it made it to windows. I got the CD going with uninstall and reboot. But now I have no keyboard in windows although it did start working in DOS

I have been trying to use the recovery console as that seems to be the right way to reformat. I can go to F12, choose recovery console, then I get a page which says:

1:C:\WINDOWS
Which windows installation would you like to log onto?

I tried typing 1, recovery console, format and a bunch of other stuff but it rejects it all as an not allowed command.

A:using recovery console

Download [email protected] Kill Disk bootable .ISO image. Extract the file. Burn the .ISO image file to CD with an .ISO burning software such as the one provided within the .zip file. Boot from the CD/DVD and wipe the hard drive on the machine in question.Try reinstalling Windows afterward.Inside the .zip file you should see this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/421293/using-recovery-console/
Relevancy 54.18%

New Dell laptop (belongs to my boss's daughter). Wouldn't boot at all...nothing, nada, no matter what was tried. No safe mode, no good last config. Nuttin'!!!
Insert XP Pro cd, ran the repair via the recovery console. Computer goes through all the motions, and then the following message....
Windows XP Professional Setup.

Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configuration information.
This indicates an internal setup error.

Contact your system administrator.

I'm assuming that isn't to good at all, eh?
I don't have XP, hence I know next to nothing about it. Am I looking at a complete format and re-install of the OS? And then just hope that works!

JustMe2

Relevancy 54.18%

I'm currently formatting both my desktop and latptop and putting XP Pro on them. The desktop went perfect, however the laptop is giving me a problem. After booting from the CD ROM I pressed R for the Recovery Console so it will enter DOS mode and I can format the C drive. It then asks for the Admin Password. Well my Admin PW is cleared, yet pressing the enter key I get a invalid PW response. Even when I change my admin PW to something, that doesnt work either, always an invalid response. 3 tries and your out, rebooting again..... any help?

Relevancy 54.18%

I have to ask a dumb question, I will put my pride aside so I can get this fixed.
I have used winxp cd and booted into Recovery Console. I have tried fixmbr and nothing happens that I can see. Just comes back to the C:\WINDOWS> prompt. I am expecting some crunching of hd or spinning of CD. Have gone into help and it states that "fixmbr (device name)" is needed or if left blank then the boot device is used. What and where do I find the device name? Am I doing something else wrong?
I have done a chkdsk on hd and every thing comes up rosy. I have determined via forums that my mbr is corrupt and want to fix it.

Relevancy 54.18%

Hello guys My computer kept restarting. I've downloaded the ARCDC from Artellos disk (Windows Professional SP2 & SP3). Now I've put it in the computer but I don't really know what to do now.I'm at the Windows XP Professional Setup blue screen with the options:To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery console, press R.To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.When I press ENTER, it tells me:Setup cannot find the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).Setup cannot continue. To quit, press F3.When I press R, I don't know what to type in the recovery console. When I chkdsk, it tells mec0000139 {Entry Point not found}The procedure entry point NtSerializeBoot could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll.Please help guide me through this. Thanks in advanced.

A:Need help with Recovery Console

ARCDC ( Automatic Recovery CD Creator) http://artellos.com/arcdc-pageIf you look, the website provides instructions for running ARCDC: >>Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com: http://artellos.com/arcdc-page Double click ARCDC.exeFollow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick (for example): Windows Professional SP2 & SP3You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.You will see a few DOS screens flash by, this is normalNext you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default FilesThe last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCCYour ISO is located on your Desktop.Download and install ImgBurn for best creation of the ISO .Note: You need to burn the ISO to a CD, which is not the same as just writing/copying it to a CD. Please use the BurnCDCC program as instructed above.Then, you need to do the following:Step 1. Insert the created CD into the CD-ROM drive, and restart the computer.Step 2. If the computer does not boot from the CD, you need to change its boot order in the BIOS.Step 3. Restart your PCStep 4. Watch the computer carefully, as it boots fast, and you need to find out which key takes you to Setup. - Normally, it is F2 or Del, but on some computers it may be a different one. Step 5. Once in the computer's BIOS, go to the tab where you can set the boot order. Step 6. If the CD-drive is not at the top of the boot order, move it to the top of the list. Step 7. Once the CD-drive is at the top of the boot order, go to Exit and select: Exit saving changes.Step 8. The computer should now boot from the CD.Step 9. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.Step 10. When prompted to choose a Windows installation, type 1 and press: EnterStep 11. When prompted to type the Administrator password, if the administrator password is blank, just press: Enter.Step 12. When the command prompt opens, type any command accepted by the Recovery Console. A search for Recovery Console commands will provide these.Step 13. If your system can't find a partition from which to boot, try fixing the MBR. Step 14. For example, type fixmbr and press: Enter.Step 15. When done, type Exit and press Enter to reboot the computer and boot normally into Windows. Good Luck with this -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/455088/need-help-with-recovery-console/
Relevancy 54.18%

I did a recovery on my XP media Center because Windows wasn't booting, still won't boot after doing this. I tried using cmd prompt to do CHKDSK C: /R, I get "the type of file system is FAT32. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run ...volume in use by another process...... I schedule it to run when system restarts, how do I know if it actually ran? Also is c:minint\system32> what should be displayed in the recoverry console? Also many commands such as DEFRAG are not recognized as a command

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-console.992567/
Relevancy 54.18%

Is 'recovery console' really necessary if all I need is log file? (will manually fix whats needed)
thanks.

A:is 'recovery console' necessary

What are we talking about? Your question is completely out of context and impossible to understand or answer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479793/is-recovery-console-necessary/
Relevancy 54.18%

This was my first thread where I asked what to do to fix my problem http I the How Do Use Console? Recovery forums techguy org t html Now that I know what to do I need to know how to do it This is as far as I ve gone then I have no idea what to do The Recovery How Do I Use the Recovery Console? Console provides sytem repair and recovery functionality Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer C WINDOWS Which Windows installation would you like to log onto I hit then ENTER It changes to this The Recovery Console provides sytem repair and recovery functionality Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer C WINDOWS Which Windows installation would you like to log onto Type the Administrator password I think it s the password to my admin user account so I enter It tells me the password is invalid so try again But instead of using my password I leave it blank and just hit ENTER It changes to this The Recovery Console provides sytem repair and recovery functionality Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer C WINDOWS Which Windows installation would you like to log onto Type the Administrator password C WINDOWS gt From there I don t know what to do I don t even know if hwta I ve been doing is correct Would anyone mind telling me how to do this nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

Im having boot.ini problems that I have tried to fix but unable to. I read that I could repair or replace it thru the xp recovery console. Is this rc on the single disc(like the oem cd)or the full version of xp or is it on a seperate disc. Im going to buy one if I can find out which one I need. My pc came with the xp home version but only a restore disc. thank you for the help.

There is an alternative which you can use in lieu of the MS XP CD. See details provided by AustrAlien at ARCDC Disk Creation - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic421198.html/page__p__2424943#entry2424943 .

It might be more beneficial if you tried to explain just what problems you have and why you think that the RC will enable you to overcome such.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/483838/recovery-console/
Relevancy 54.18%

A friend gave me a Compaq Presario 5310US desktop that had some issues with it and I was able to take care of those issues. I want to obtain a copy of the Recovery Disc but I don't see it in "All Programs", I don't even see the "Recovery console". Isn't it suppose to be in "All Programs"? Where did it go and how can I get a copy?

Hi mlum !

Here's how to create or obtain the recovery CD's when you have none with the computer :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...97&rule=41359#

Note that if you want to restore the computer to factory defaults, you don't need the recovery CD's as long as the recovery partition is ok :
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...197&rule=41359
Backup any valuable data first.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-console-205165.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I am trying to repair a system with XP home, I can get to the recovery console, but I do not know the admin password. My sister has told me all the passwords that she uses, and used to use. I have tried just hitting return, admin, administrator, Admin....you get the picture. Any way I can delete or reset the admin password so I can do the repair.

BTW I cannot do anything with the computer except start from the CD with the choices of repair or re-install, or from the A drive, (XP boot disk from boot****.com), in which case the C drive cannot be found.

If I try to boot up normally, safe mode, anything, It gets stuck in a reboot loop.

My sis is computer illiterate, but I love her dearly and would like to try to save her info if possible.

Thanks.

Relevancy 54.18%

I am doing the CHKDSK on the recovery Console. It got to 33% completed and stopped stating that the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. I was not so sure what to do next but entered CHKDSK again and its at 17%. Is there something else that I should be doing, Should I have added /R after CHKDSK? It would be so appreciated if someone can guide me on this.

My problem started when my computer froze up with the error Unmountable_Boot_Volume
Stop: 0x000000ED.

A:Recovery Console?

I have problems of my own similar and I run a chkdsk too , from the recovery console.It didn't start even lol...but let me know that there are one or ..possible more loool unrecoverable "problems" lol...I did another thing, I entered in windows and I scheduled a chkdsk right away AFTER the boot of the pc and after verifying it didn't come up with anything at all

First of all I didn't understant WHY are you checking the disk...What is the MAIN problem you got ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-console.736973/