Windows Support Forum

pointing XP to a local machine for updates

Q: pointing XP to a local machine for updates

I run a small stand-alone network that has no connectivity to the internet. I currently download Microsoft updates and antivirus dats from an internet connected pc, burn them to a cd then copy them to one of the computers on the stand-alone network. I then "pull" the updates manually from each machine on the stand-alone network.

Is there a way to configure these XP boxes to look to a certain local location for updates?

Any help would be appreciated.

Powerhouserod

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: pointing XP to a local machine for updates

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: pointing XP to a local machine for updates

I think the "Automatic Updates" feature that's part of the OS is configured to only connect to Microsoft servers; I can't see there being a way to change this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pointing-xp-to-a-local-machine-for-updates.651786/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have my house wired for separate gigabit Ethernet networks I want to create one network let s call it quot A quot that everyone can get at for backups AV files etc That network would have specific physically separate hard drives in the Win server I want to then create a second network let s call it quot B quot that is only for SOHO stuff It too would have physically separate drives in the server Can I do that Also do I 7 Create 2 NIC Networks? - Dual Can Machine Win Diff. I need anything special with the dual NIC arrangement I can use a Dual NIC Win 7 Machine - Can I Create 2 Diff. Networks? x dual NIC or get a board with dual NIC s And of course I have different gigabit switches as well I am guessing one network would need to be X and the other X which is fine The main thing I want to do is make sure that the hard drives assigned to network A can t be read or altered by network B and vice-versa As a matter of fact I don t want A drives shares visible on the B network or vice versa What do I need to do in terms of IP range static or DHCP subnets drive assigning etc I ve never tried something like this before I don t want to do something like give drive shares different passwords because all that does is create quot forbidden fruit quot and such If Dual NIC Win 7 Machine - Can I Create 2 Diff. Networks? the drives are never seen they are never wondered about Thanks for any thoughts nbsp

A:Dual NIC Win 7 Machine - Can I Create 2 Diff. Networks?

Yes, it's doable. The layout (wiring) can be two variation:

Code:

(A)
modem == router----pc----NAS/hd's
|
+------- other devices

(B)
modem == router1---- pc
|
+---- router2 --- other devices

Whether wired or wifi connected, the controls are similar - - which layout to you favor?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-nic-win-7-machine-can-i-create-2-diff-networks.209011/
Relevancy 25.8%

I know we had a thread on this in April of last year but what I really want is a poll so I can quickly see the numbers. What I'm trying to see is how many people are running 3 core machines and how many people have 6 core procs. Keep in mind I want to know actually cores, not the number of simultaneous threads you can run. Also, if you're using a multiprocessor machine please add up your cores. Also, if you have a triple core machine but it's not your primary I would appreciate it if you would post so in the thread.

A:How many cores power your primary machine?

Work related question or just curiosity?

I run 2 cores now in almost everything I physically use. I have a single core system that runs and does stuff for me nearly 24/7, but I almost never sit in front of it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-many-cores-power-your-primary-machine.171334/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 25.37%

Printer Problems in Windows XP sp3
Dell Personal Printer all in one A940
After trying to speed up an older computer running Windows XP
I may have cut off the Print Spooler (or it was already off ?)
I went back to Services dialog box & selected Print Spooler
I clicked the "Start" link at left of service list & got a message tgat said
"could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start."
Printer is still not working can anyone help?

A:Could not start print spooler service on local computer error 1068

On Win/7 the dependencies are

HTTP

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
Manually start each on and set to AUTOSTART as you go.
If one fails, then that is the root problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/could-not-start-print-spooler-service-on-local-computer-error-1068.206839/
Relevancy 26.66%

So I realize that this is my computer telling me that it is not getting a connection to the internet So here is a basic diagram of my setup ISP---- gt Cable Modem----- gt New Splitter---------- gt Asus wifi router working --------- gt Desktop IP also connected to wifi My ISP is Charter Com via a Cable Modem From there I go into a TRENDnet ethernet switch splitter From there I have cable that goes to my desktop one cable to goes Area Local Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx to the upper floor to the wifi router Asus RT-N U The router is working fine and I am currently connected to it I have replaced the TRENDnet Switch every ethernet cable except to Asus wifi router This is where it gets stupid I can disconnect the TRENDnet switch and plug in my Desktop with the IP and it works I have researched this topic via forums for the past month and a half and now after fresh installing windows would like to try and get some input of what other might think is going on I am out of options I Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx had this setup for quite some time with wired and wifi Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx but just all of a sudden about - months ago after moving my desk and plugging it all in again it stopped working Here is a text format of Ipconfig of my LAC Configuration for interface quot Local Area Connection quot DHCP enabled Yes IP Address xxx xxx Subnet Prefix xx mask InterfaceMetric DNS servers configured through DHCP None Register with which suffix Primary only WINS servers configured through DHCP None As I said I am now running a fresh install of windows with no Bonjour program on it I have released renewed and about other CMD commands that I could think of The internet options for this adapter are set to obtain automatically I have ran about every malware program I can think of So any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Local Area Connection 169.254.xxx.xxx

Hmm why the splitter BEFORE the router - - that's not the correct way to add a second router

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
to add a second router:

Code:
isp==primary router --- existing PC
|
+--- new router

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-169-254-xxx-xxx.203909/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi I have all of the above items and would like to stream my media from the ext hd to the TV I had planned on plugging the hd in through usb port of my Sony bravia tv and playing through the built in media player but mpeg avi or mkv don t even show up in the menu strange because I have played both mp and avi before through usb So that isn t working I think my options are to either - a leave a laptop running with Windows media player running and connect it to my xbox I don t really ext. 1tb pc 360 and bravia machine, sony Linux hd, xbox want to do this as I have happily been windows free for a while now b create some kind of server I have no experience here Linux machine, 1tb ext. hd, xbox 360 and sony bravia pc c Convert them to mpeg somehow but I have read that this lowers visual quality more than I would be happy with d Change the folder type so the TV thinks that it is mpeg something like remux I think I read this sounds Linux machine, 1tb ext. hd, xbox 360 and sony bravia pc good to me as quality is retained due to the folder type being changed but the data is not converted Do you have any other ideas and have you any guidance as to what I should do please nbsp

A:Linux machine, 1tb ext. hd, xbox 360 and sony bravia pc

I'm betting your external drive is formatted NTFS or EXT3/4 and your TV can't read that filesystem. You could try using an out-of-spec FAT32 filesystem that uses up your entire drive (you'll have to format with something other than Windows - gparted should be fine). You could also try setting up some sort of DLNA server that I think your TV can access easily. There are many options for that so I'd google "setting up a DLNA server". Remember also that if you go FAT32 that your file sizes will be limited to 4GB or smaller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linux-machine-1tb-ext-hd-xbox-360-and-sony-bravia-pc.203562/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hello all,
My friend's Windows 7 x64 ultimate machine recognizes some USB flash drives but not some other ones. The types of all are USB2 and also all drivers are installed (device manager). I don't know what is the problem. Is there any idea please?

A:My machine doesn't recognize some USB flash drives

USB Device Not Recognized? A Quick Fix For Windows XP/7/8

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-machine-doesnt-recognize-some-usb-flash-drives.202702/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have a 128gb samsung SSD. I was wondering what updates I can remove to get more space on the SSD because windows7+all updates are currently using half of the SSD space and somehow only 119gb of the SSD space is displayed so I'm guessing that 8gb is reserved or something.
I'm currently removing the extra languages and those are giving me and extra 5,5gb space

A:Windows 7 Ultimate updates and SSD question

Somehow I think you have more installed than Windows and updates. Internet Explorer, Bing Bar, and Bing Desktop are the only updates I have hidden. All other Windows Updates have been installed. I wouldn't put all the blame on WIndows, if you have an install using 60GB.

​Anyone with more than 8GB memory and still has Pagefile and Hibernation, by default has more than 16GB used by these two files alone. I recommend using them only if needed. I personally don't need them and have removed them both.

Check and see if you have a Hibernation file. If you don't use hibernation features, the file can be removed.

Windows 7 ? Delete Hibernation File (hiberfil.sys)
To turn off or disable hibernation, type the following command at the prompt:
powercfg ?h off
This will disable hibernation and will remove the hiberfil.sys file from your system.Click to expand...

Monitor your memory usage and if you have more memory than you ever use. The Pagefile can be minimized. I currently have mine turned off, with 8GB installed. But caution though if you turn the Pagefile off, Windows will not be able to compensate for a shortage of memory and the Windows session will crash. While I am comfortable not using a Pagefile, I do not recommend others do the same until they are comfortable doing so. I recommend lowering the Pagefile size to 1GB, and if Windows needs more, the size will be automatically adjusted.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-ultimate-updates-and-ssd-question.200043/
Relevancy 25.8%

So as a service tech I have had to troubleshoot many a bad power supply or motherboard but here is an error I have not encountered yet The tower time only first Machine the powers up I am troubleshooting is -bit HP compaq dx microtower I dont think it has vista on it any longer but it doesn t get that far When mouse keyboard VGA display and power are plugged in and I press the power button the fans spin up and the machine begins to Machine only powers up the first time power up but nothing comes on the monitor Monitor is on correct input setting and verified to work Also note that there are no addition display chips installed nor have there ever been any So I power it down to verify RAM is seated HDD plugged in all cables and buses are correct and they are but when I press the power button there is no response at all this time no matter what I try I even bypassed the button with another switch in case the relay was bad and no luck So I left work traveled out of town and a week later I come back and give it another try Here s what is strange like a de javu the machine does the same mysterious thing where it powers the first only and no luck the subsequent times It seems the power supply is ok at least enough to power it the first time and the motherboard LED is on Obviously something has gone bad but what could it be has anyone encountered a similar issue nbsp

A:Machine only powers up the first time

Three times actually.

One with a bad set of RAM modules.
The RAM modules were RMA'd. When I tried them in two completely different systems, they somehow locked up the system and removing the motherboard battery was the only way to get the system functioning again, even with the previous modules.

Two with a replacement motherboard.
The motherboard replacement would not boot with an i7-2600K. After calling the vendor they convinced me to try a lower level CPU so that I could flash the BIOS. Since all previous versions of the BIOS that I am currently running support the i7-2600K, I suspect it was a newer BIOS meant for Ivy Bridge support.

Three with a power supply failure.
The power supply failed in the middle of using the PC. During the process of rebooting, the PC would not do anything.

All three times the PC would try to boot but fail. On reboot attempt there would not be any signs of life. After disconnecting the battery and/or removing the power cord, the system would then try and attempt to boot once again. Long story short, it could be a number of things that could be wrong, don't rule any of them out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/machine-only-powers-up-the-first-time.199707/
Relevancy 25.8%

Configuration of existing machine :-
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz
Samsung 320 GB Hard Drive
4GB DDR2 RAM
450watt Of PSU
Intel DG41RQ Motherboard

now I want to modify my machine to a gaming PC so plz suggest which of the hardware components should I change or add it into my machine .My budget is
(10,000.00 INR ) 160 USD

A:Need to modify my existing machine

Well, if you want to build a gaming rig from this machine, you need a GPU and that's honestly all that's missing. My suggestion for a 160 buck price point is this: (Since I cant see where you are located, ill guess based on the currency you posted).

HD 7790 Ghost Edition 1gb 10850.00INR

That's the best card you will get in your area at that budget, that will bring you up to a gaming rig levels and should work with your current setup. The biggest problem is going to be your PSU next, the card recommends (According to newegg and XFX) a 450 watt PSU, however based on your specs, you should keep below the PSU's threshold because you have a 450watt so even under load with that card you will be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-to-modify-my-existing-machine.197797/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi all,
I am planning to build a new machine and am wanting to start with the case,,,was wondering if I will strike any difficulties installing old hardware into a new case (apart from the front USB 3.0).
I have been looking at firstly the Gigabyte Sumo Omega here then after I found that I could not get a supplier here in Aus. Struck upon the SilverStone brand here which I should be able to purchase Downunder.

Would it be possible to install in a newer case ? (not planning on going to a smaller form factor) this current Mobo configuration GA- 8KNXPUltra FJ Ultra (with DPS) -Gigabyte-,,?
Thanks in advance

A:Building a new machine starting with case

Whoa a Pentium 4:

Well yes I don't see a problem with that as the screw configs have not really changed and most cases come with tons of different screw holes for all sizes of motherboards (Its normally the Extended ATX boards that are harder to satisfy).

You should not have a problem grabbing a new case and putting your old components in, they will fit in a normal sized case with ease!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-new-machine-starting-with-case.196653/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hey guys. I recently built a new machine.

windows 8 pro
Cosmos 2
Sabertooth 990FX r2.0
FX8350
H100I
AX1200i
Two red Wesern Digital Drives in raid
M500 SSD - for some reason is slower to load windows than on my M4. The M4 would literaly flash the windows loading screen before being on the desktop, this ssd cycles for a few extra seconds.
Trident X Ram 7-8-8-24 2X8 1600
and using my old gpu for the moment. 5770

How can I run tests to ensure all my hardware is working as it should? Is there any single program to do it?

Windows has crashed a few times on me, and it is a clean install so I think there may be some hardware fault done the line somewhere.

A:Testing my new machine

Basic troubleshooting 101. I will assume that the connections are solid ( RAM well seated, SATA cables secured and known working, power cables well seated etc.), so going on laws of probability I'd start with the RAM assuming you haven't already narrowed down the possibilities by checking the Event Viewer in Win8
Check the BIOS to see that the RAM's setting are correct (timings and voltage) for the specification.
Download Memset to check that the minor timings concur with the specification. You can check this post for dl link and some basic info.
Download Memtest and run. You can check this post for links and basic instructions.

Unfortunately, Memtest works in a DOS environment, so while the RAM may be stable in an idle system it may not follow that the same can be said when the board is pulling heavy current (CPU, GPU, drives).

One other thing to note is that the 970/990X/990FX chipsets have a number of SATA issues. To minimize this make sure you have the latest BIOS installed (1903 I believe).

I'd start with the RAM. If it passes we can look down the probability options.

A full system stress/stability test would be a CPU intensive game - preferably a stage of a late-game RTS or a FPS with a high level of AI and CPU physics (BF3 fits the bill). Most stress test utilities test a component in (near) isolation. LinX/IBT/OCCT Linpack or Prime95 will really only stress the CPU and RAM.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/testing-my-new-machine.196315/
Relevancy 25.8%

Before I carry on I need to know one thing Does the Cosmos support ATX motherboards The reason I ask is because there is conflicting information provided by the cooler-master website and reviews online The website http www coolermaster co uk product php product id The Review pause the video when he shows the specs on the side of the box Will all of this hardware work together nicely Motherboard Sabertooth FX Gen R http www amazon co uk Sabertooth- amp sr - amp keywords SABERTOOTH FX GEN R PC Case Cooler Master Cosmos http www amazon co uk Cooler-Mast keywords coolermaster cosmos productDetails CPU AMD FX http www amazon co uk AMD-FX - F amp qid amp sr - amp keywords amd fx GPU Sapphire HD http www amazon co uk Sapphire- amp qid amp sr - amp keywords Sapphire PSU Corsair HX Gold http www amazon co uk Corsair-HX amp sr - amp keywords Corsair HX productDetails Feel free to suggest ram but I have gigs of ddr that only costed me And it is Crucial I might buy new stuff but I don t know yet I plan to buy lots of water cooling and radiators eventually once new Building a Compatibility - machine I got the basics set up nbsp

A:Building a new machine - Compatibility

Yes it does. It supports MicroATX through SSI EEB.

Good build. I recommend you wait till September 25th for the GPUs since AMD is set to unveil something new. Or if you want, just get the 7970 and wait for the new GPUs to release. Just remember, dont waste your money on watercooling if you have just 1 GPU.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-new-machine-compatibility.195402/
Relevancy 26.23%

Have a new Netgear wireless router and can connect to it, but can only get local access only, no internet.
Tried a few things with no luck so far.
The one thing that did work was eliminating the wireless security, but dont want to leave it that way.
Seems like this is a common problem with Vista.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

A:Local Access Only With Wireless Using Windows Vista

Go to the Device Mgr, expand Network Adapters and look for yellow or red flags. It's most likely that the driver is missing or needs to be updated.

If there's any driver at all, then the led lights near the ethernet cable will be on.

Uninstall the existing driver (but do not delete it) and reboot.
The system should find the device and use the autoconfig feature to install the
correct one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-access-only-with-wireless-using-windows-vista.194148/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hi all just need a little help from you smarter people.

I have lots of devices on my wireless all work fine until this Hp notebook starts it seems to kick everything else off the network. So now called the death machine by all the family. Is this just a setting on the notebook that causes this? It happens on all networks that it joins to and stops as soon as the computer goes back into sleep.

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks Oli

A:Notebook network issue (death machine)

Likely you have an IP address conflict - - two machines with the same address.
This will cause problems with everything attached to that same router (wifi or wired).

Make sure ALL devices do not use manual settings but rather use automatic DHCP for both IP and DNS

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/notebook-network-issue-death-machine.193051/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi there I am new to this forum though I have went through a couple of threads regarding VPN but I can t seem to find my answer through printing VPN Local I work in an IT department and have to users which are not on the business domain To make use of a program hosted on our server they connect via VPN to out network and then join a remote desktop Both of them make use of a network printer Now one of them has a PC with Win and the other one with XP When they connect to the VPN though only the user on the Win PC is allowed to print the other user Local printing through VPN s job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints Both user Local printing through VPN s VPN permissions are the same as I asked the network admin and the printer settings should be the same on both PCs as I checked them Help would be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for a very long time with no avail Thanks nbsp

A:Local printing through VPN

the other user's job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints.Click to expand...

Wow, is that strange or what (but that's why your here too I guess). The fact that it is queued says the data path from the user->system->print queue is just fine - - and that says permissions are ok. I suspect that the users program is not closing the output file. Have the user try a simple test using NOTEPAD printing to the remote printer.

Next I would look for software updates to the XP VPN software and then to XP print driver for that device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-printing-through-vpn.189640/
Relevancy 24.94%

I am trying to figure out what s wrong with an older machine -- distortion on issue? Flash Audio older machine I put together for my dad It has a ghz Athlon XP processor GB RAM Audio distortion on older machine -- Flash issue? and a sound blaster Live -bit PCI sound card Very unimpressive machine by today s standards but he basically only needs it for web surfing and audio He likes to use YouTube as a source to learn new music etc The problem I am having is whenever audio is streamed in the browser which as of right now is Chrome the flash playback is very distorted or garbled I noticed that CPU usage is very high and I ve disabled hardware acceleration which didn t seem to help When audio files are played from the system however be it mp or wav the audio is completely fine so I m not sure what the problem is The computer is definitely somewhat of a relic but it should be able to stream audio video just fine I would think I am going to try a different newer power supply and maybe try to find more RAM for it but right now I can t figure out why the flash audio is messed up nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/audio-distortion-on-older-machine-flash-issue.188162/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi everyone I am having trouble interconnecting Virtual machines virtual interconnection VMware machine vm s in my vmware wokstation I have set all of them to LAN segment prior to that they were all connected VMware virtual machine interconnection to a custom vmnet I want to construct a private lan inside vmware I have already assigned a static ip for each didn t assign any default gateway since I VMware virtual machine interconnection want to make it a private lan where I can configure DC DNS etc Well the problem undermining the circumstances arises out of the fact that pinging to another vm is unsuccessful for any of the vm Beside that there is no option for creating a team in vmware Could anyone specify me where I went wrong is a team necessary for a private lan if so which version would you suggest else a detailed documentation of a step by step procedure will be much appreciated I need to hook it up asap if anyone would kindly take his her time in explaining to me my cons and help me set it up it would be much appreciated nbsp

A:VMware virtual machine interconnection

Perhaps this is what you're looking for

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vmware-virtual-machine-interconnection.187675/
Relevancy 39.13%

So we have a server at one of the places I work that is a domain controller and DNS server website domain server controller pointing DNS to of instead address as well as an smtp server The domain is named companyname com The website is you guessed it companyname com Now why they set this up like this I don t know but because they have every now DNS server pointing to domain controller instead of website address and then the DNS server decides to point companyname com to the domain controller and ignore the fact that I have a www Host A record pointing to the web server s external IP address and a record saying DNS server pointing to domain controller instead of website address that DNS server pointing to domain controller instead of website address companyname com should also point to the web server s address The problem seems to stem from that when the server reboots for updates it of course forces the DNS server records to update and it puts an entry in there that contradicts my static records with the domain controller s local address in for companyname com Can I force it NOT to put a certain entry in there or rather not update a certain entry that it has in there Or can I force it to treat my static records as primary I m fairly new to this as I ve not dealt with this issue before and I m out of ideas nbsp

A:DNS server pointing to domain controller instead of website address

Hmm; for the External DNS accessible to the web

create a CNAME for www.company.name
create another for dns.company.name.
each pointing to unique IP addresses
this dns ONLY supports publicly available services; NOTHING internal

the Domain Controller should have a SEPARATE DNS, internal to the LAN, not accessible to the Web.
Internal users configured to -> internal DNS which performs recursive lookup to your ISP's DNS.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dns-server-pointing-to-domain-controller-instead-of-website-address.187372/
Relevancy 26.23%

My iOmega TB External hard drive stopped working after it was accidentally unplugged I googled the problem amp found the exact thread here for my problem When plugged in instead of being identified by it s name as before it s listed as Local disc F First I tried disabling write caching to no avail so I followed HDD disk shows as it local & F cannot be accessed External the instructions I found here to External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed the same problem started by fish in Aug Mark replied several times giving good instructions which I have followed but my problem isn t solved I downloaded Sea Tools for Windows amp ran both Short amp Long tests which both failed The hard drive when dismantled is a Seagate Barracuda TB amp my PC is Windows Vista Home Basic Service Pk The HDD has much loved photo s of my kids amp tons of video amp music too is there any way to retrieve it now or is it a hopeless case Any help would be very much appreciated I think maybe if possible to get any data now I would have to take it to proffessionals but don t want to get ripped off if the drive is totally broken Thanx so much if u can help all nbsp

A:External HDD shows as local disk F & it cannot be accessed

You could try going into disk management and deleting F: drive, while the External HDD is unplugged, then try reconnecting - OS might have just assigned the drive incorrectly?
Also strongly recommend updating to SP2 if possible (probably not connected to this issue though).
Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hdd-shows-as-local-disk-f-it-cannot-be-accessed.186348/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with only 2 slots (2 256mb sticks). It has Windows XP on it.
How much ram will it recognize?

A:What is the max RAM I can put in this machine?

You can install a maximum of 2 gb of RAM onto your machine, according to the Dell website.

Here, take a look at this page. Your system may allocate a small amount of memory for your graphics. I suggest you read this, as well, if you intend to install the modules yourself.

Hope that helps a little.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-the-max-ram-i-can-put-in-this-machine.185411/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi all I am looking to build a new system mainly to play D but also for image editing help machine Gaming and longevity quot future-proof quot hoping to have it running for - yrs as my main system with only minor upgrades Have a maximum budget of CAD including any shipping amp taxes minus any instant Gaming machine help rebates mail in rebates don t count as some times they don t come through I am open to online shopping as well if it s a cheaper price for the same item including shipping amp tax Some things to keep in mind Want to have a SSD for the OS apps games etc I already have a TB WD Green RPM SATA drive to store data No monitor required What I ve gathered so far as some options however am open to your suggestions around the full build Case Thermaltake Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Black USB VN M W N - Canada Computers CPU Intel Core i - Quad-Core Socket Ghz MB L Cache nm Retail Boxed Gen BX I BX I - Tigerdirect ca GPU Asus HD -DC - GD AMD Chipset Mhz GB MHz GDDR Dual DVI Dual Mini DisplayPort HDMI PCI-Express Graphics Card - PSU Corsair Enthusiast Series TX V W PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply CMPSU- TXV - Canada Computers Optical Drive LG CH LS X Blu-Ray Reader amp Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive - - NCIX Any help is much appreciated Want to try to have this new system up and running ASAP Thanks nbsp

A:Gaming machine help

If you're only looking to play D3 a 7850 will be overkill, even a GTX 460 will get you 60fps at 1920x1080. If you're also playing more demanding games then it's a decent choice. When it comes to GPUs forget about future proofing, graphics cards depreciate very quickly and if you're only playing D3 now then grab a GTX 460/560 and upgrade when you need more power.

The rest of your build looks good but you've left out the mobo and the RAM. For the SSD get either the Crucial m4 or Samsung 830 drives.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gaming-machine-help.181180/
Relevancy 27.09%

So I just set up FreeNAS on my LAN. I have a Linksys router.... I believe everything is 10/100 but for some reason its transfering at about 8.61MB/s.

Now before I start posting all my equipment specs, would anyone know right off the bat what my bottleneck is, or give me a clue how to figure this out? I'm apparently not thinking properly enough to figure this out at the moment.

BTW, everything plugged in... so I'm not transfering wirelessly.

A:What's my local NAS bottleneck?

You're transferring at almost 70 mbit - your network is probably your bottleneck. Are you sure there is no additional activity on your network? You should be able to reach between 80-90 if nothing else is going on and the rest of the environment is lean. If everything is working absolutely great I would say you can even reach mid to upper 90's. See if the system sending files has plenty of CPU cycles available by opening your task manager. Also, are you transferring lots of small files or one big file? Larger files will transfer faster than a bunch of tiny ones. At most you can expect a file transfer speed of about 12 MB/sec on a 100 mbit network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-my-local-nas-bottleneck.180760/
Relevancy 25.8%

When sitting idol for an evening, this 5 year old Gateway PC simply clicks off, just like we had a power outage. It's happened 3 times. Power outage isn't the problem however as a professional UPS is in use. On the reboot, the DOS commands pop up offering alternatives for rebooting since the shutdown was forced. My question is: Can this be an early sign of the mother board going out and if so, is there a test to perform? Other than the problem as stated, nothing else out of the ordinary has happened. Suggestions? I have attached a full description of my PC.

A:Machine turns itself off -- is the motherboard going bad?

Sounds like the PSU is starting to go.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/machine-turns-itself-off-is-the-motherboard-going-bad.177331/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hello,

I just want a *bare minimum* setup for playing crysis type of games. I am on a tight budget

For video card I have chosen 8800 GT

For processor and motherboard since I'm on a tight budget what should I go for ?

Should I go for i5 ? or is there an AMD equivalent at a lower price ?

Would 4GB ram be enough or should I go for 8GB ram ?

Any normal Motherboard should be ok isn't it ?

I'm planning to buy windows 7 home basic edition only. I assume 32bit would be fine ?

Please advise me.

Thanking in anticipation

Shanthi

A:I'm planning to build a bare minimum gaming machine

If you're just going to be playing games, something like the i3 2100 will do and 4GB RAM will be enough. And as it's a bare minimum steup, a cheap Asrock/MSI/Gigabyte board should be OK, but don't go dirt cheap on the motherboard though.

Definitely get the 64 bit OS, especially as they're the same price.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/im-planning-to-build-a-bare-minimum-gaming-machine.176177/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey I ve got a Dual Xeon Dell Precision T Workstation running Windows x that I use for graphic design and some music production I have up until last week used a M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB Audio Interface for recording as well as my primary sound card I decided to get rid of the Fast Track and upgrade to an M-Audio Audiophile PCI sound card Here is my issue- With the Fast Track USB Interface I have always network local when performing only PC downloads Static in sound, had a noticeable Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads static popping sound when any audio is playing while I am transferring files on my local network- but I have isolated it specifically to copying files from anywhere on my local network to this PC- so only downloading to this computer I didn t pay much attention to it as I thought that was the price that was to be payed because of using a USB sound card After I installed the Audiophile I am still getting this popping sound on network downloads Just to test I pulled out the Audiophile enabled the on-board sound card and the popping was still there with the on-board sound card Any idea what could be causing this My network adapter is the Broadcom on-board Gigabit LAN card The only other PCI or PCI-e cards I have installed are the Nvidia Quadro Video Adapter and a SIIG USB PCI Card I have taken this out and the popping is still there All of PCI bus components were different when I started hearing the popping from the Fast Track Pro so I don t suspect that any of those items would be the culprit When the popping first started nothing was even in the PCI PCI-e bus except for my old Quadro video card which I took out months ago and swapped for the Quadro I guess what I m trying to say is that most of the components have been removed or swapped and the sound continues I have the onboard sound card disabled normally so I know that also isn t causing it To describe the popping static it doesn t make the noise until I m downloading something and there is a system noise playing or I have some other audio going YouTube Video MP played locally whatever So if I was to download a file locally and not play any sounds then you would never know that anything was happening The speakers I m using are KRK Rokit Active Studio Monitors so even if there was any background static I would hear it These monitors are connected to the computer via a Balanced TRS input so I don t even have any normal line quot hum quot at high volumes- so that is how I can tell there is absolutely no static or popping until the PC plays it s own audio Also- I ve tried reproducing the problem by playing audio and downloading a file from the internet It won t produce the popping sound at all Here is my system info Dell Precision T Workstation Windows x Ultimate Service Pack Intel Xeon CPU E GHz amp GHz Processors Intel x Motherboard Intel ICH R Family Controllers I O Hub PCI Express Root Storage GB RAM Nvidia Quadro M-Audio Delta Audiophile Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller That s everything I have hooked up right now- anymore questions and I ll be glad to post what I know I m hoping that this is something common that I just couldn t find in my searches on google Any help advice you could offer I would appreciate it One last thing- I uninstalled and updated all of my system drivers days ago to see if that would stop the problem It didn t change anything Thanks -Ben nbsp

A:Static in PC sound, only when performing local network downloads

Did you uninstall your old sound drivers? Are you using ASIO drivers? Im assuming the M-Audio card already has ASIO built-in? Do you get the pop/static when using the onboard sound? You should stick to XP for music production. Even a dual boot WIN 7/XP setup. Im into music production as well and all of my problems stopped when I ran everything on XP. You can try using virtual XP on Win 7 and see if it helps anything. What DAW are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/static-in-pc-sound-only-when-performing-local-network-downloads.175964/
Relevancy 26.66%

I just upgraded to Win7. In this PC I have 2 HDD, one C drive which works fin, and one additional HDD which I'm able to see in BIOS and Device Manager, but it do not show up in Explorer.
How to get it visible?
Thanks

A:Can't find local installed HDD

Right click my computer > manage, click disk management take a screenshot, post here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-local-installed-hdd.176151/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hey guys My internet provider has just recently been switched to Time Warner Cable They came by and hooked everything up to my desktop and my internet worked for that day The next day I had to call technical support and road runner services because my computer says I m connected but I m not sending nor receiving area Missing network connection and local controller any packets Road Runner took me through Device Manager where I noticed a big yellow question mark near Other Devices Network Controller Also after going through my Network Connections there s no Local Area Connection listed The techs responded that they couldn t help me unless I fixed my computer software I have already tried going through Computer Management and checking Plug And Play Services amp RPC Missing network controller and local area connection Services Any other suggestions are much appreciated I m currently working off of my laptop because I can t get online with my desktop Any requested information would just Missing network controller and local area connection be done by my usb flash Missing network controller and local area connection drive Thank you so much for your time nbsp

A:Missing network controller and local area connection

Open device manager. Uninstall those device with ? on them. Reinstall drivers for your network adapter.

What devices are listed under network adapter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/missing-network-controller-and-local-area-connection.174762/
Relevancy 25.8%

I am building a new rig. These are all the parts I'm going to need, except an SSD, which I'm still searching for.
What do you think of this:

There is some finnish text, but don't mind, you'll get the point

Please recommend, comment and improve the setup! Don't wanna go wrong, now do I?

Thanks guys!

Relevancy 26.23%

Hi guys I am almost New machine! slow percent positive there was a better section for this post however i didn t wanna get flamed for actually posting in New slow machine! the WRONG section so i just posted it here Maybe yall can help me out I recently sold a parts car i had and got a sum of money along with what i was told was a gaming rig Now i ve looked up the parts which i detailed below and they are far from top spec lol thing is i m still new to the hardware side and am not sure what these parts SHOULD actually be capable of the guy keeps saying that the machine should be pretty fast and that i must be missing some drivers I tried installing ATI catalyst to fix some graphics problems i ve been having where my computer simply will not load certain games like black prophecy online That didn t seem to do much So maybe one of you who is more techy than me can help me out Here is what the software i use says is in my pc lol Motherboard TA XE Video Card ATI Radeon X driver date - - MB RAM g DDR CPU AMD Athelon II X MHz Dual-Core x Also I should mention that when i got it i installed a custom version of windows os I use the eternity edition installer So even though my computer says i have all my drivers it is entirely possible i missed something As for a little more detail about what the problem actually is it s just very slow Usually it s slowest when actually opening up an application Once it s running everything seems fine usually My guess and yall can tell me if i m wrong is that I need more RAM nbsp

A:New slow machine!

It probably was a gaming machine a few years ago, but its not going to be playing current games well. Still should be more than adequate for everything else though.

You are on the right track with more RAM. I'd try to get that to at least 4 (you won't be able to use all 4 with a 32bit Win 7 though), be careful about going higher than 4 - will need to check if your motherboard supports more than 4.

I debated about removing the eternity edition portion of your post, but I've decided to let it stay. We won't help much/at all with "pirated" versions of Windows. Maybe you have a legit key and used it with that customized version Anyway, just in the sense of 'piece of mind' I would recommend using a legit install of Windows 7 and then manually doing all the things you like about that version. I found this video of a guy reviewing it, and he provided a link to another vid where he tells you what registry edits were done (and I assume explains them). This will ensure you get what you want without the risk of having downloaded something that someone else slipped something bad into..

What games were you hoping to play? That CPU isn't super good by today's standards, but the good news (in this case) is a lot of games are getting pretty GPU dependent so you can still get by on some older CPUs if you have a good GPU. So you could upgrade your GPU pretty easily, and depending on what games and what resolution you were wanting to play, the chances of getting to what you want on your budget run from excellent to impossible.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-slow-machine.173460/
Relevancy 33.97%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

RESOLVED. Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the icon for the active connection. Change THAT name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-local-net-2-to-local-net.172565/
Relevancy 26.66%

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hey everyone gaming machine PC check -- build Compatibility on first new I m building a new gaming desktop Compatibility check on new gaming machine -- first PC build and want to make sure everything is compatible I ve never built a pc before so if you could take a look at this list and see if anything stands out to you as being wrong A couple of main things I want to be sure of are Will the water cooler work with the case and Which PCI wireless card will I need PCIe x or PCIe x Thanks Here s the list Sorry I can t post links yet since I m new Case Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case CPU Intel Core i - Gulftown GHz x KB L Cache MB L Cache LGA W Six-Core Desktop Processor Motherboard ASUS P X D-E LGA Intel X SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard RAM CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR Desktop Memory Model Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar Black WD FAEX TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive Video Cards gtx EVGA SuperClocked -P - -AR GeForce GTX Fermi MB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Power Supply KINGWIN Mach ABT- MA S W ATX BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply DVD Burner ASUS X DVD Burner Water Cooling CORSAIR CWCH - High Performance CPU Cooler Keyboard Mouse Logitech Wireless Combo PCI Wireless Card Rosewill RNX-G LX Wireless Adapter Compatibility check on new gaming machine -- first PC build Card IEEE b g PCI or Asus Wireless Compatibility check on new gaming machine -- first PC build Network Adapter PCE-N nbsp

A:Compatibility check on new gaming machine -- first PC build

Personally I wouldn't blow money on an i7-980 1366 based system. Enthusiast level Sandy Bridge products are scheduled before the end of the year and AMD Bulldozer CPUs should be competitive as well, even the 1155 socket Sandy bridge systems are giving very similar performance to that Gulftown processor for a lot less money. I'd rather put the money into better video cards. Also 24Gb of ram is excessive. 8-16Gb is as much as I'd recommend for gaming. If you have other planned uses for the machine then you might have reason to put that much ram in it, otherwise cut back on the ram to at least 16Gb and invest the money into an SSD drive for OS and current games to be stored on. That improves boot speed and loading times for games. Don't think there should be a problem with the H50 in that case. As long as there is clearance between the rear exhaust fan mounting position and the CPU positioning for the radiator and fan to fit then you are good to go.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compatibility-check-on-new-gaming-machine-first-pc-build.170217/
Relevancy 24.94%

Alright I have a whole bunch of my music and videos on my external hard drive and I got a new Dell XPS yesterday I had been using my external hard drive just fine for the past - yeas now with different laptops working fine I plugged it yesterday to transfer all my music to my new computer and it seemed to be working fine There was an error as the copy rate External Local -- won't open Disk as only working, shows drive hard stopped up slowwed so I decided to delete and try again I did that about times and then decided to just copy the music album by album Eventually I don External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open t know how it ended up happening instead of the Hard Drive coming up as Seagate on the My Computer Tab it started showing up as Local Disk J on my Dell and Local Disk E on my laptop now It doesn t matter where I plug it in Not only that it won t open when I try to open it It will get loaded and then just pause and stop responding I m completely lost My hard drive is Seagate GB nbsp

A:External hard drive stopped working, only shows up as Local Disk -- won't open

Hi, first I would run the Seagate diagnostics to check the hard drive is still healthy following this guide.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturers diagnostic for ISO CD. Burn the image file to a CD, boot the PC with the disc in the drive and run the diagnostics. You first need to set the CD drive to 1st in the boot order in the Bios setup.

If you do not have an image burner use this free software to make the CD.

http://www.isoimageburner.com/

ExcelStor: http://www.excelstor.com/eng/support.php?sub_id=3

Hitachi/IBM: http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Samsung: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/downloads/support_in_es.html

Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum:http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads

Western Digital:http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toshiba Fujitsu: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

If you have a Toshiba hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.Click to expand...

It sounds likely that the circuitry in the drive enclosure is failing (or the drive), if the test won't run then remove the drive from the enclosure and purchase a USB Hard Drive adapter, or use the internal connections in a desktop PC to connect the drive. This should allow you to run the test and/or extract all the files.

If the test runs ok with the drive connected to another PC internally, or with a USB adapter then you will know for sure that it is the enclosure that has failed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-stopped-working-only-shows-up-as-local-disk-wont-open.169973/
Relevancy 25.8%

I'm missing the "local area connection" for a Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Hence, I cannot seem to connect to the net.

Anybody got any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

A:Local area connection missing, Dell Inspiron 1300

Is your wireless working? Go under your BIOS and see if the WiFi is enabled or functioning. Download any BIOS updates, WiFi drivers update an etc.. If all is done and you still have the issue. Buy USB WiFi NIC Dongle and test that and see if you can get LAN or WAN connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-missing-dell-inspiron-1300.168709/
Relevancy 25.8%

Greetings I have recently decided to build myself advice Building machine, new a desktop welcome a Desktop Computer to replace my current laptop since I no longer require mobility That said it has been years since I built a computer from scratch and even then the machine was not built for any kind of real performance I have been spending some time searching across the web evaluating needs vs wants setting my budget picking out parts etc and now I fall upon the graces of my online peers for Building a new desktop machine, advice welcome advice On to the nitty-gritty Purpose The machine will be used primarily for Graphic Arts I work in programs Building a new desktop machine, advice welcome such as Photoshop Daz D Poser Maya DSMax Illustrator etc The secondary use for the machine and should probably be called primary is gaming Currently I play World of Warcraft Rift and Starcraft I also do some work in Visual Studio Budget I d like to keep it around or under Parts and Purchase I am starting from scratch with no preexisting parts and nothing currently purchased Where I buy from is of little consequence though to avoid exorbitant shipping costs I would prefer to buy as much from one place as possible I am fine with online shopping Peripherals Not needed OS I have a copy of Windows Pro -bit but may be purchasing another Home version not sure yet Cooling I would like to keep the machine as cool as possible but am tepid about liquid cooling any advise opinions on this is welcome All of that said as I mentioned before I have been looking for parts and have put together a list of parts that I think will take care of what I need But whether they are the best part for my dollar is unknown to me I do not think I will have any compatibility issues except perhaps with the SSD I m not sure on that one What I d like is for any and all of you to pick my list apart and let me know your thoughts or any problems you see I am open to switching out any of what I have chosen for a better and or cheaper product as long as everything stays within my budget After researching these are the parts that I am looking into buying Case Cooler Master RC- -KKN -GP HAF Advance Full Tower Case - ATX Black SuperSpeed USB PSU Ultra U - X Gold Edition Modular Power Supply - W ATX Plus Gold mm Fan SLI Ready CrossFire Technology Active PFC Vibration Dampener Included Lifetime Warranty w Registration Mobo ASUS P P Deluxe B Intel P Motherboard - ATX Socket H LGA Intel P Express MHz DDR O C Dual Gigabit LAN -CH Audio SATA Gb s USB SLI CrossFireX Bluetooth CPU Intel Core i - K BX I K Unlocked Processor - Quad Core MB L Cache GHz Socket H LGA Retail CPU Cooler Corsair CWCH - Hydro H CPU Liquid Cooler - mm Fan Copper Cold Plate Aluminum Radiator LGA LGA LGA AM AM RAM Corsair CML GX M A C Vengeance LP Desktop Memory Kit - GB x GB PC - DDR - MHz - - - CAS Latency -pin DIMM V Unbuffered Intel XMP Ready Video EVGA G-P - -AR GeForce GTX Ti Free Performance Boost Video Card - GB GDDR PCI-Express x Dual DVI HDMI DirectX SLI Ready SSD Corsair Performance Series CSSD-P GB -BRKT quot GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Building a new desktop machine, advice welcome

You'll love that case. I built a gaming rig for my brother-in-law using that case and it has plenty of fans. With a cpu cooler (which you list), it should do quite well in the cooling aspect. Keep in mind that periodic removing of dust is essential because the HAF (High Air Flow) cases move a lot of air.

How much rendering will you be doing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-new-desktop-machine-advice-welcome.167900/
Relevancy 25.8%

Good day everyone Well I have reached the point with my old machine where I am fed up with it s at this New smart machine time? gaming performance I New gaming machine smart at this time? am still New gaming machine smart at this time? running a single core with a GT for graphics Needless to say coupled to a inch monitor running at resolution I can t play even old games on medium settings I have come up with a budget system right now all I can afford and I think it offers a lot of options for the future However I have been out of the hardware loop for a good years now I have spent the last month catching up on information I am going to explain my specs and my reasons for them and hopefully some hardcore hardware gurus can help me confirm I am making the right choices CPU AMD Phenom II X Black Edition GHZ MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte GA- FXA-UD RAM Corsair XMS CMX GX M A C GB X GB DDR - VIDEO CARD MSI N GTX Twin Frozr II OC CASE Corsair Obsidian Series D PSU Corsair Professional Series Gold AX Now the first thing that jumps out is yes I am thinking of diving right into the FX chipset This way I am ready to upgrade anytime once the upcoming Bulldozer series is released from AMD Also with this motherboard I can run a SLI Nvidia setup with a AMD CPU something that hasn t been possible in the past The CPU has very good overclocking ability so I hear and I see no point in buying a core CPU right now when the core Bulldozers are just around the corner This is a steal of a deal at including the HSF Not to mention virtually nothing available can take advantage of cores and I do not do ANY video editing The video card is not entirely what I want I wanted a GTX but it simply is not in the cards For a price jump of more to get into a GTX I have heard it is not worth it The GTX can overclock to near speeds and GTX s give almost identical performance to a GTX SLI setup for half the price In the near future probably months or so I can buy another GTX and SLI that setup and be good for a few years to come The power supply is big enough that I can SLI any Nvidia cards out there since I have no interest in ever running more than graphics cards at once The case is huge and easy to build in While expensive I think the case is one that is worth keeping for years to come I know I will always be able to handle bigger motherboards and bigger video cards down the road let s face it hardware is not shrinking All in all I just want to play current and future games for at least the next year or two I cannot stand lag and turned down graphics it just ruins the game play experience I do not edit video use photoshop to create digital art or anything of that sort This is strictly for watching movies listening to music browsing and playing games Does it sound like this is a good way to go nbsp

A:New gaming machine smart at this time?

Looks fine. You've obviously looked at a build with a degree of futureproofing (as much as there can be) in mind and some solid choices in build quality/warranty/longevity/expandibility.
I own an 800D, and they are a very roomy chassis. The 700D offers a little more for a few less dollars- although you would have to do without the window.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-gaming-machine-smart-at-this-time.166427/
Relevancy 22.36%

i have a pc that i was trying to update when i updated the drivers everything was fine until it rebooted when it rebooted the screen went to sleep mode i have tried another monitor but still the same thing is there anyway i can put the hd in to another pc for it to work so i can maybe change what i can to get it to read or atleast see on the other pc?

A:No monitor after updates?

You could hook your drive up to another PC and try to boot from it but I doubt it will be any different. Sounds like you have downloaded a bad driver.

Can you get it to boot in safe mode and then use system restore to take it back to before you installed the driver.

What driver was it?

What OS are you using?

Do you have the OS disc?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-monitor-after-updates.165818/
Relevancy 39.99%

My synaptics pointing device freezes after about 10 - 15 minutes of not using my computer. I tried making the computer wait longer before hybrinating, but it still does it. Any suggestions?
Thanks

A:Synaptics pointing device freezes

Is it a wireless mouse, if so check the batteries.

If it is chorded try another mouse and see if the problems persists.

Check these settings:

Go to the Control Panel and select Mouse. From the mouse properties screen click the Hardware tab. on the next screen under the Genral tab click on Change Settings. Then select the Power Management tab and make sure it is set to "Allow this device to wake the computer" and not "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

This is correct instruction for Windows 7, if you have a different OS (which you should have stated) there may be some minor differences.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/synaptics-pointing-device-freezes.164804/
Relevancy 21.07%

Here is what I get when I type ipconfig all Host Name Tanya Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List gateway wire net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description Realtek on Local connection Windows wireless says internet internet My Vista Only connection RTL B Wireless b g Mbp s USB Network Adapter Physical Address - -D -A -FF- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a ed a d Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - E- -CE-BB-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C E B - EA - D - F B- F B F br DA Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description isatap gateway wire net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

A:My internet connection says Local Only on Windows Vista wireless internet connection

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.255.53.64(Preferred)Click to expand...

this occures when there is no response to the DHCP request.

First, disable the WiFi, cable a connection to the router and retry; what's the result?

While connected to the router, config it for the:
router address and DHCP range
wifi SSID, Channel
set a new admin password and save the settings.

Disable the wired interface, enable the WiFi and retry the WiFi connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-internet-connection-says-local-only-on-windows-vista-wireless-internet-connection.161510/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have the emachine t 2958 with the Intel 845GV mother board. at this moment i have a Intel Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz 2.67GHz with 1.24GB of Ram. I have also Done a test with Ram on this computer and has found out this this one here will support 2GB of ram. I dont understand but what ever.

But I would like to know what can I upgrade my cpu too. I want a dual core but i dont know were i can go with it. is there a way I could get a Intel Core Duo T2060 / 1.6 GHz I just want something Dual Core I need some speed thanks

A:Another CPU machine upgrade

Sorry, but you can't upgrade to a dual-core CPU without buying a new PC.
I have heard of an adapter to put a laptop CPU in a PC like yours, but I have never seen it at any store, and it doesn't work on all PCs.(Laptop CPUs are usually dual-core)
You can upgrade to a Pentium 4 CPU (if you can find one which is compatible) (they are single-core), but I recommend getting a new PC if you need speed. (I have a Pentium 4 HT CPU and its slow so I'm getting a new PC)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/another-cpu-machine-upgrade.159990/
Relevancy 25.37%

My ISP(BSNL) allow me to use 2.5 GB/month for a fixed charge on day time and unlimited free usage between (2AM-8AM), after that it starts billing for each extra MB I use. My system is used by 3 users , and therefore, the internet usage normally goes above 2.5 GB. It is an ADSL Broadband 256kbps/2mbps connection. So I want to limit the down loadable data for each user at day time alone(excluding night 2AM-8AM). Is there any software available to do this job? If available please let me know the good one.

Thanks in advance.

A:Limiting broadband usage for some users in my machine.

Wouldn't be better if you just asked your ISP to funnel back or choke off the speed during the peak times so that you could set up the computer to download during the Off peak time instead of the On-peak times.
Sorry I don't have any other information regarding programs that could restrict user profiles within Windows platform at least with the restricting it would not affect the Email system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limiting-broadband-usage-for-some-users-in-my-machine.159787/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi guys, i have recently received a message telling me that a network cable is unplugged. Usually i have this problem with local area connection 2, but it always resolves itself while this one does not. I have tried unplugging my dlink and plugging it back in. please give me any suggestions! Sorry if this sounds dumb to you, much appreciated!

A:Local Area Connection [A network cable is unplugged]

Are using a laptop or desktop, if your on a laptop will say that because your not plugged in the LAN on your laptop which you do not need if it is wireless, but if it is your desktop and you are connect to your router it could be that the NIC card is at fault go into device manager to see if there is any problems with NIC card.

1.Also check your network cables make sure they are in secure.

2. Make sure your network adapter is up to date and working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.159744/
Relevancy 24.94%

If you were going to build a machine that would be a nice machine for doing some AVCHD video editing what would you suggest? This is kind of a survey I guess as to what would you put in it? Budget is around $2000

A:Building a nice video editing machine - suggestions?

Personally, I would go with an i7 950 for the CPU and one GTX 570 as the graphics card. Multicard solutions for video editing can be troublesome, in my experience. Also, ATI drivers have frustrated me so many more times than most Nvidia drivers have.

HDDs ... $2000 really wouldn't allow room for any SSDs unless you used a very small one for the OS and video editing programs. For mass storage you might want to go with a few 7,200 rpm drives with at least a 32 MB cache, although a 64 MB cache would be ideal. The black versions of WD drives hold my respect. Perhaps this would be a good time to go for a redundant RAID 1 setup.

RAM ... tri-channel DDR3, of course, but I am honestly not sure how much you'll need currently or a few years from now. A good brand of 6 GB (2 GB x 3) or 12 GB (4 GB x 3) should work nicely.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-a-nice-video-editing-machine-suggestions.159070/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hey Im looking for help to build a new rig I use the computer mainly for D animation maya blender components needed choosing build machine a in to $1400 Help xsi after effects Help needed in choosing components to build a $1400 machine zbrush nuke realflow Help needed in choosing components to build a $1400 machine etc this includes animating rendering video editing compositing and working with high polygon models D animation and for working with graphics toonboom mangastudio flash Help needed in choosing components to build a $1400 machine photoshop painter etc I also plan to use it for gaming Guild Wars etc And casual use internet writting watching movies etc I have I already used to buy a Intel Core i GHz M L Cache LGA Desktop Processor I know a lot of people complain about the stock cpu cooler any recomendations for that So that leaves me with to buy Video card motherboard RAM power supply case optical drive hard drive cpu cooler I m located in Mexico I can get mostly anything here but the prices are always higher I plan to buy everything online and have it sent at a friends house in the US so that I can pick it up in a couple of weeks I am willing to buy online if I can get everything online the better in sites that dont require the billing and the shipping adresses to be the same when paying with a credit card I m not reusing anything of my old computer except keyboard wacom tablet and cintiq I still havent decided if I want to run the pc on linux or in windows I dont plan on getting any aftermarket cooling except if I really need it do I really need it nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-needed-in-choosing-components-to-build-a-1400-machine.158180/
Relevancy 25.37%

I have a ASRock G31M-S Motherboard. My system has started to randomly dump and reboot. I have tried downloading and installing most recent drivers available from ASRock site, as well as all other hardware, Scanning for file system corruption and viruses, etc. I think I have isolated the issue to the video accelerators in that I have turned them all off and I have not experienced the issue since.
I will include the information from one of the dumps below. I am at my wits end, how do I correct the issue so I can turn the accelerators back on and put an end to the issue?

I have attached a file "error.txt" containing the various logs genetartyed from the dump.

Thank you in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-driver-causes-machine-to-dump-and-reboot.157917/
Relevancy 26.66%

Let me tell you a bit about my set-up. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and my internet connection is via a Bt homehub.
My problem is every time I start up my PC I don't have internet connection.
The only way to get it is to go to local area connection and disable it, then go back in and enable it and then I have internet access.
I have taken screen shoots of whats happening.
Not sure if the file has uploaded so sorry if you don't see it. New to this site so having to get used to it.

Alan

Can any one see the word file I attached as I can't.

Alan

A:Local Area Connection

Assuming that's a wired and not wifi connection.

Before you boot, disconnect from the BT and let the system present the desktop, then
connection to the BT, wait 30sec and you should have a connection.

Your Firewall should be left active

Like to see the View Connections, but copy the text from this and past into your follow-up:
start->Run->enter IPCONFIG /ALL

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection.156433/
Relevancy 21.93%

well, i've just reinstalled windows xp on my computer, and i have no sound what so ever, i have tried updating my drivers and that hasnt worked, ive also tried things like going to the device manager and disabling, re-enabling them and that hasnt worked, ive tried looking into the bios, and the hd audio is set to automatic can anyone help please?

and before anyone asks, yes the speakers are plugged in and yes they do work, they were fine before re-installing windows.

my sound is onboard and i own a biostar mcp6pb m2+ motherboard

TIA.

A:No sound after trying many fixes inc. driver updates

No yellow marks in the Device Manager ?

Speaker icon showing in the Quick Launch ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-sound-after-trying-many-fixes-inc-driver-updates.155780/
Relevancy 25.37%

This is my first time posting so bear with me please. My 70 yr old mom has an eMachine T2240 with a Celeron 2.2G processor. I can't seem to find any way to identify the motherboard so I can upgrade the processor to something remotely modern. If anyone would know of any duo core that may work or how I could find the mobo identification I would greatly appreciate it. I spent 15 minutes in an online chat with eMachine support just to have them tell me I shouldn't change anything because it might cause issues! I guess they need to sell more computers. Thanks for any input.

A:Need help finding CPU compatability list for e-Machine T2240

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d845gvsr/sb/CS-026968.htm
Should be about right.
None of the processors there are going to be much better, and replacing the processor won't even help much. Aside from that, it would be somewhat hard to find one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-finding-cpu-compatability-list-for-e-machine-t2240.155069/
Relevancy 19.78%

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to 192.168.3.1 Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of 192.168.2.1. If I disable my Local Area Network, the internet connects perfectly. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I CAN USE MY LOCAL AREA NETWORK AND THE WIRELESS CONNECTION AT THE SAME TIME! Frustrating to the max! Any network specialists out there who can tell me how to fix this? Thanks!!!

A:Conflict between "Wireless Network Connection" & "Local Area Connection"

berkeleygh said:

Running XP on 2 computers. Have them connected by a router. I set the router IP to 192.168.3.1 Everything connects great! When I connect to a wireless network, it all connects, but doesn't work ("connection timed out" or "Page not found" errors. The wire connection shows an IP of 192.168.2.1.Click to expand...

You should know that x.x.2.1 is incorrect. For the router address shown, all devices that connect to it *must* be 192.168.3.x where x > 1 and < 255.

I would suspect that you have some static configuration data in the devices.

You want your router to offer DHCP in the range 2->32 (that's more than enough) and
you want all systems to use DHCP for the IP address and DNS settings.

Remove anything in the Alternative Configurations

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/conflict-between-wireless-network-connection-local-area-connection.154215/
Relevancy 26.23%

Good evening all I trust I find you well This one is doing my head in I My PSU fax sounds a like machine! ve taken out my sound card pcie My PSU sounds like a fax machine! x-fi platinum disabled on board sound via device manger swapped ATI HD My PSU sounds like a fax machine! for nvidia GTX and still my PC emits this awful fax-like squealing It s not incredibly loud but is so very very irritating I found the following in the quot PSU quot thread Quantex rox said uarr Buzzing noises are most often caused by coil whine where the current passing through the wire in the coil will cause the core to vibrate at a audible frequency This is a common problem on corsair psu s mixed with certain video cards motherboards Click to expand This isn t a buzz but could be described as a whine but for me squeal is a better description of my problem and my PSU is a watt Corsair number I made a second recording of the noise by putting the mic at the back of the PSU The dominant noise is therefore the wind from the fan but if you turn up the speakers the squealing can be clearly heard especially just after the second mark recording is inside the attached zip file Now the frustrating thing for me is that at power on during the POST and the DMI pool data stuff there s no squealing but just before the desktop loads the squealing kicks in and does not stop Stranger still for me at least the squealing pauses if I scroll a long text document in UltraEdit but does not pause if I scroll the same document in Notepad When I launch Everest the squealing will stop during the opening quot scanning quot period but once Everest appears on the desktop the squealing is straight back Does anyone have any idea what on earth is going on here please -marko nbsp

A:My PSU sounds like a fax machine!

yea thats coil whine, you can RMA the PSU here Corsair RMA Request Form

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-psu-sounds-like-a-fax-machine.153548/
Relevancy 26.66%

hey

the last 5-6 days the network connection sometimes doesn't connecting to Internet.
usually appears after power the pc on. and happened while been connected.

Network- and sharing center
computer ------------ local network --------X------ Internet

sometimes it helps just pull out the cable then plug it in, other is, turn off and on the router, or deactivate and activate the network card.

also tried update driver, but that seemed to mess it more up so i went to device-manager and unistalled the driver, install it again from the cd to the mobo.

the other pc in the house is a laptop using the wireless with no problems.

my sys specs on button +
network card
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, driver version. 7.5.730.2009

router
Inteno X5668b

thanks

A:Unstable local network connection

Do you have the latest driver from Realtek TW. Also note sometimes these adapters go DUFF! Are the lights on the back of the card lite or flashing?

Go into safe mode and remove the driver. Even shutdown the system and pull out the card. If it's onboard NIC, then disable it and get a PCI or PCI-E if you have the shorter PCI-E slot. They can go bad. Since you have ruled out your router isn't the issue and you can use yoru wireless laptop. Then the NIC is the issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unstable-local-network-connection.152991/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have my internet connection saying it is connected but whenever I go onto firefox it tells me it couldnt connect.

ipconfig tells me it encountered an error, repairing connection tells me it can't get into tcp/ip settings. I have tried resetting winsock.

I'm currently not at my computer and I'm being forced to rush, so if you need more specific error messages just tell me and I will post with my phone.

A:Local Area Connection "Connected", no net

Post ipconfig /all
You may be connected to your LAN, but not the internet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-connected-no-net.149476/
Relevancy 26.66%

I have Vodafone Prepay Broadband so I do not have to plug in any cables. However, recently my internet will not connect properly. The Vodem connects properly but I do not get fully connected as the two pcs with a globe do not appear on my toolbar and no pages will load. When I "Diagnose and Repair" is when I get the message telling me that Local Area Connection 2 is unplugged. I do not understand this as I should not have to plug in anything but the Vodem.

A:Local area connection 2 unplugged

is it the vodem stick that plugs into the usb port? and please mention your operating system

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-2-unplugged.147533/
Relevancy 25.8%

hello me again
i have a 1501 dell amd machine CPU sempron sms3600hax3cm
mobo da0fx2mbadd7 rev D
i would like to upgrade my CPU like i did my 1525
i cant seem to figure out if and which CPU will fit or if the bios will except a duo core
my 1525 had an intel
can i get one of you dell gurus to help me out as i now realize dell swaps out mobos
for the same model
as useual I'm grateful for you help
thanks

A:1501 Dell AMD machine

You can tell from the model and code numbers on the edge and center of the board... or from posting the service tag at the Dell tech support site... using he information on the left had column of the scfreen

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1501-dell-amd-machine.147302/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello everyone,

A friend of mine is coming from Europe to completer his degree in Civil Engineering here in US and he will be requiring a PC (or better yet laptop) that is capable of sufficiently running AutoCAD application and still be relatively inexpensive as he is on the budget.

I don't know a lot about AutoCAD and required hardware, but FX 5800 workstation card is not really an option. Any ideas what would work well or what should I be looking for?

Thanks

A:AutoCAD crunching machine on a budget?

Hi, what kind of budget are we talking?
Just as a reminder, laptops are much more expensive and weaker than desktops.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/autocad-crunching-machine-on-a-budget.147100/
Relevancy 24.94%

cpu is a 2800+ but is only running at 1200 fsb stuck at 100 and no way to change in bios i know flashing bios is dangerous but im really tired of computer running so slow

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/au31-k7m-nf18g-e-machine-t2865-please-help-w-bios-update.146985/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have a Dell computer running windows xp and an Emachine computer running vista, but the emachine has a blown motherboard. I needed a cd/dvd burner and i managed to figure out how to take the one out of my emachine and place it in my dell computer, but what i would like to know is if i can use the hard drive from my emachines in my dell. ive already installed it. I installed it as if i was installing a second drive. nothing comes up and i cant find anything. i also tried installing it as the master drive. when i do this i cant get windows to load. is what im trying to accomplish actually possible. if so how???

A:Vista in XP Machine

and more. the second drive is a 250gb seagate sata drive running vista. the other (main drive) is 80gb sata running xp.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-in-xp-machine.146065/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi...
I just wanted to know that how can I connect two monitors and two mouse and keyboards on a single machine to play multiplayer games like NFS undercover, UT 2004 and so many?
And will these doubled devices work separately??
Current PC Configuration:-
AMD Athlon II x2 255
Biostar TA790gx A+ mobo
3 x 1GB DDR3 @1333 MHz
Sapphire HD 5670 512MB DDR5
500Gb WD cavier green hard disk
22" AOC monitor and just bought Videocon 26" LCD TV
Using' XP PRO SP2

Thanks in advance....

A:How can I connect two monitors, two mouse and keyboards on a single machine?

Its usually the other way around... 2 computers, one mouse and one keyboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-connect-two-monitors-two-mouse-and-keyboards-on-a-single-machine.144877/
Relevancy 22.36%

Since I appear to be ignorant and incapable of locating the proper bios settings and/or drivers to update, I was hoping someone here could help me do so, and hopefully I am providing all the accurate information below:

OS Name - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version - 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer - Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer - Compaq Presario 06
System Model - DA236A-ABA 6420NX NA910
System Type - X86-based PC
Processor - x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1798 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date - Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.01, 12/10/2002
SMBIOS Version - 2.2

Edit: If I am not in the proper forum and need to be moved to one such as Device Drivers, then I apologize and hope this thread will be moved.

A:Bios and system updates

whats the problem your having. if it ant broke dont fix it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-and-system-updates.144896/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi,
My machine not working properly,in all mornings it hangs .It not even get in tha oS.I installed the os also changed the hard disc but it is not working.But it get inside the os in all SAFEMODE.can u help me guys?

A:Machine Hanging...

What are your computers specs? Make and model?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/machine-hanging.144593/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi guys,

noob here hope someone can help me..

i physically took out my hard drive from my desktop computer and connected it to a HDD dock to transfer data to my laptop.

when i put the hard drive back inside my desktop computer, C:\ and D:\ appears as a folder instead and cannot open when i double click. i have to right click and click open for it to work.

so i did a format on D:\ because there's no data in it originally and now it's back to the original D:\ hard disk icon and works fine when i double click it. but i have alot of valuable info in C:\ that's too large to transfer anywhere else to format.

does anyone know a way to restore the C:\ icon back to the original hard drive icon and double click works without wiping out the data?

A:Local disk drive C:\ appearing as a folder!

read this post there may

read this post there may be some similar problems / fixes for you.....don't forget to use the Micro soft USB disconnect tool before unplugging any devices
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic60377.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-disk-drive-c-appearing-as-a-folder.143381/
Relevancy 25.8%

I just priced out a Dell computer, which is promoted as a business machine, but the specs look hot enough to make a fairly decent gaming machine. Any thoughts?

Intel Core? 2 Duo P8700 w/VT (2.53GHz, 3MB L2, 1066MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows 7 Professional, with Media, 32-bit, English
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz, 2 DIMM
500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with Free Fall Sensor
NVIDIA GeForce? 9300M GS 256MB

I realize that Dell's XPS is designed for gamers, but I was surprised at the specs on this baby targeted for IE, Outlook, Word and Excel users.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable, and I was stunned to see a business machine with these specs.

A:How about this business machine for gaming?

9300GS won't rock the world of gaming with its performance. It's a decent 'entry level' mobile graphics solution. You can play some games on it; with low details. However, older games like Q3 or UT etc. will do just about fine. Other then that the system specs are very attractive; except ..... the Operating System; if you want to have this notebook see whether you can switch from x86 (32bit win7) to x64 windows 7.

Reason being the x86 windows won't be able to utilize roughly beyond 3.4 GB of ram due to limitations / other devices memory space issues etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-about-this-business-machine-for-gaming.142645/
Relevancy 25.8%

I tried running Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on my laptop a couple hours ago and I was in the middle of reducing the video settings when the screen went crazy with purple triangles and green dots and the works. My computer met the system requirements. The computer wasn't frozen, I could hear noises responding to mouse movement. When I restarted, everything was good until after the "Starting Windows" screen went away all I got was eternal blackness. I tried all the options in the Windows Startup Repair including System Restore with no avail. I can boot the computer in safe mode. I tried running BIOS diagnostics and it didn't find any problems.

Any ideas?

A:Windows 7 Machine Unable to Boot

It could be one of two things I believe.

1) A corrupted graphics driver. This would explain how you got into safemode ok. Safemode uses the built in Windows graphics drivers, not the Nvidia or ATI drivers.

2) You corrupted your Windows install, but somehow got into safemode. This would explain why a system restore did nothing.

What I would do is try going into safemode and updating your graphics drivers. I know Windows 7 does a lot of the work, but sometimes the automatic stuff it does isn't thorough enough. It'll only do what's good enough not what would be perfect.

You need to find the graphics card you have, and download the new drivers from the manufacturer's website. If this solves everything, great! If not...step 2.

Reformat. If you've somehow managed to corrupt your install to the point where it isn't bootable or reparable, then you're kind of screwed. If you can access vital info in safemode, save it any way you can. External drives, USB Flash cards, burn stuff onto discs, email all important email and other documents and stuff to yourself so it's in your inbox when you're all set up again...etcetera.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-machine-unable-to-boot.141344/
Relevancy 22.36%

MyRealtek High Definition Audio driver is version 5.10.0.5730 dated 10.13.08. Is there an update for this and can anyone tell me where I can download it free i.e. without driver robot or driver detective.
I dont have any particular problem with my current driver and Im aware of the phrase 'if it aint broke dont fix it'. I just want to know if there is something better out there.
Additionally, if there is an update should I uninstall the old driver before installation or just install over the old one ?
I have looked at the page for driver updates on this site but I cant work out which is the correct one for my audio card.
Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/realtek-driver-updates.139904/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi, I have a fujitsu laptop,,,,which I used to use which my modern via local arena connection,,,but 1 day my friend did something to it and now when I connect the jak the pc does not connect?????now I can't see local area network on my network places,,What happens how can I get it back to work. Br gsmnikki

A:Local area connection help

If you can't see the LAN connection listed under Network Connections, your friend probably uninstalled the driver.

1) Open Device Manager. Do you see the network adapter? Rt click and uninstall
2) Now go to the support site for your computer (e.g. Dell, HP, ASUS, etc) download the network driver and reinstall it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-help.139474/
Relevancy 25.8%

My e-machine crashed (power supply and motherboard) I am trying to replace the power supply and motherboard from a differant emachine. My problem is when I unhooked the wires from the front panel, now i can't figure out where the 3 wires go on the motherboard.
i have a
black & white power s/w 2 pin
green & white power lead 2pin
red & white power hhd 2 pin

Motherboard came from a E machine D2246 intel cereron 2. marking on the motherboard D33007 VC37-L also bar code reads K373322829 VC37-L

Can anyone help me with the proper places to plug these in on the motherboard.

maybe send me a photo please, I am new at this.

thanks in advance
George

A:E-machine motherboard wiring

Use a magnifying glass and look along the bottom end of the motherboard near the front edge.

you should see the pins labelled similarly to the leads. (pwr, rst, spkr, hdled etc..)

Those E machines with ECS motherboards are C***P, I think they are disigned to work until one day after statutary one year warranty is up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/e-machine-motherboard-wiring.139271/
Relevancy 21.93%

I have installed a wireless card on a Compaq Presario 2200 laptop and tested it out with an antenna from a Toshiba A100 and an HP V6000 to no avail. (No networks found).

It also shows 'check to make sure the wireless switch is on'. This laptop has only got a plastic cover over where the switch would normally be, so is there any way to get the machine to use the new wireless without having to find a little switch for it?

Cheers

Blair

A:Installing wireless on a machine with no wireless switch

You need to use a USB wireless adapter with the proper software installed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-wireless-on-a-machine-with-no-wireless-switch.138105/
Relevancy 27.09%

Please help on local networking on local area lan networking
with picture please help me thanks

A:Please help on local networking

What operating systems are running on the computers you are trying to connect?

And, on each computer, are you running Windows firewall or do you have another firewall product installed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-on-local-networking.136229/
Relevancy 24.94%

When watching movies on line or off line my pc starts to make a stuttering sound and freezes at first i thought it was to do with over heating so brought new processor and fan did a total reinstall but the problem persists, if anyone can help me with what i hope to be a really simple problem i'd be indebted. thank you. :grinthumb

A:Vista freezing and sound makes machine gun like noise

Hi

we need some more information, such as PC specs, does it only do it on movies, it could be a simple thing like a missing or bad codec or a memory error.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/vista-freezing-and-sound-makes-machine-gun-like-noise.135923/
Relevancy 25.8%

HI,
I have an E-machine i turned it off normal way from start menu, but when i want turn it on there is no electricity, the power supply does not work anymore.i want replace it so am asking if any power supply will work? caus i tried 2 of my old pc but none worked.here is my pc informations.
E-Machine : MODEL:W4682.
Power supply :Model : ATX-250E-12V.REV7
Input :100-127V-6A. 200-240V-3A.60/50 Hz.
Output:+12V
250W Max.
so i want to ask what power supply will work for me so i can buy it ? and if the motherboard is still working ? how can i check it ?
Any advise would be appreciated.Thank you.

A:E-machine power supply

"so i want to ask what power supply will work for me so i can buy it ? and if the motherboard is still working ? how can i check it?"...

This is always a tough question dealing with eMachines computers. Power supplies are cheaper and easier to replace than motherboards. So replacing the power supply with a quailty 350 to 450 watt ATX power supply will be the first thing to try

Here's an example of a simple good supply for your eMachines:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371023

Hopefully the motherboard is ok

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/e-machine-power-supply.135642/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hi Guys Just hoping to get round about figure value me my Please help machine for the value of my machine I built it around two years ago now but since then it has unfortunately been pack away and has not even been used I have now moved into a new flat and just dont have the space for an ATX machine so need to sell Here is the spec Intel Core Duo E GHz Giga-Byte GA- P-DS System Board XFX GeForce GT Graphics Card Crucial Ballistix RAM GB LiteOn SATA DVD-RW Zalman W PSU Akasa Cool Blue CPU Heat Sink and Fan Akasa Cool Blue Graphics Card Heat Sink and Fan Please help me value my machine Seagate GB SATA Drive Vista Ultimate in Hard disk enclouser Seagate GB SATA Drive XP Pro Seagate GB SATA Drive Belkin N Wireless Desktop Card a b g n Belkin port USB Card Floppy Drive Multiple Card Reader Drive Aspire X-Discovery ATX Case Dual Boot System Any help would be greatly appreciated Many thanks in advance Damien nbsp

Relevancy 26.66%

I'm plugged into my router (Linksys wrt54g v8) and my connection still says "Limited or no connectivity". I'm running win xp 64 bit sp2. I tried uninstalling my ethernet connection. I've tried winsock xp and it didn't work, I've tried cmd netsh winsock reset. I've tried to repair the connection and it says "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address" and I've also tried resetting the modem and router. Can anyone help me?

A:Local Area Connection Issues

Was your internet working previous to this problem? If it was, have you changed any settings? Theres a way you can set a static IP, and that would stop your IP from renewing. Also, are there any other computers working on the network?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-issues.134305/
Relevancy 25.8%

greetings from South Africa,
I am very new to forums and do not know the correct protocol.
So be gentle with me?
I have a KM4AM Motherboard and the drivers etc.
I bought and installed two LG super multi DVD drives.
When connecting it up I noticed that there was a cable connected to the old secondart CD dive and appeared to go to the motherboard??
I do not know if I unplugged it - however I get the title of my thread when I boot up.
It says 'new found hardware' - Parrallel device'

Any suggestions please

A:Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged

The "Parallel" device is the port driver for your LG DVD drives. You have 2 parallel ports on the motherboard. The blue port is for IDE hard drives. The white port is for your IDE (parallel) DVD drives. How are you connecting to the Internet? The "Local area connection. A network cable is unplugged" message indicates that there is no network cable connected to the motherboards network port. Your Cable or DSL modem attaches to this port

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-area-connection-a-network-cable-is-unplugged.134325/
Relevancy 26.23%

Anyone know where I can get drivers for MB. I've upgraded OS and installed new DVD-RW. Recieve error when installing Office 2007, stating Windows Installer 3.1 or greater is needed. DL and attempted to install but recieved message the current installer was newer then one attempting to install. Recieved another message stating something about processor would not accomidate, probably due to drivers.

The company does not have ANY information after I emailed them other than what was on thier web page. Computer was a "give me", with no manual, software, etc.

Any suggestions or ideas. I've also found the USB ports on the front of machine are not working, not sure if this is driver issue but think it is due to MB. Rear USB ports work fine.

Thanks

A:E-Machine T2891

Your Emachine, or rather all Emachines are basically designed to go from birth to grave in the configuration they were shipped with. By this I mean the same CPU, mobo and OS. This is why you're not finding drivers. They're on the restore disc, as is the OS. However it's in the form of a disc image. That said, the upside is that the BIOS would never have to updated, nor would the drivers in all likely hood.

In some cases, (my T-5026 for example), will not permit the use of an actual Windows disc, you must use the restore discs, or it will generate a request for an "administrative password". Just for academia's sake, you could install Linux on the machine. (The BIOS would ignore that).

I found my motherboard's tech manual on the "start" > "all programs" list, under the heading, "Augsburg", which I think is the name of the Intel 915G board's chipset designation.

My other Emachine has an MSI mobo. It took a while, but I was finally able to convert the OEM part number, to a model number of the board as used, (and sold) by MSI directly. The OEM number I found simply by searching for it on the board.

The best way to determine all af the board's devices and specs, would be to run SIW for Windows, but you would at least need to get into safe mode.

Assuming that the machine is intact, and the motherboard is good, your best chance of success lies in contacting Emachines, and purchasing the restore discs.

I think that the number you've given (T-2891), is a Gateway Emachine. These have much better prospective lifespan than the earlier pure Emachines models.

You best chance in finding out if the hardware is good would be to download a copy of "Ubuntu" Linux, and boot from that. The download file is an ISO, and must be burned to CD as an "image".

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/e-machine-t2891.133875/
Relevancy 26.23%

If I connect a phone to the fax line should I hear a dial tone?

A:Fax machine problem

absolutely -- a fax needs to DIAL OUT and that requires the dial tone

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fax-machine-problem.131522/
Relevancy 26.66%

I am running a computer using Vista and I just moved it from one room to area fixing network help local Need my another Before moving the computer Need help fixing my local area network I had no problems running both Xbox Live and my internet connection on the computer My connection Need help fixing my local area network is a DSL service through SBC and it runs through a D-Link Router that has slots for ethernet cables as shown below - - - - - There are four immediately next to each other on the left and one set apart slightly farther to the right When I Need help fixing my local area network have my three cables one for the modem one for my xbox and one for my computer in the slots on the left I can connect to the internet through my computer as they are right now but not through my Xbox If I move the cable for my computer over to the slot farthest on the right I can connect to Xbox LIve but I can t connect to the internet through my computer If anybody could provide any sort of solution it would be greatly appreciated EDIT Is there a chance that it could be my ethernet cable While I may have moved the computer from one room to another the only change I really made at all was using a longer ethernet cable for my computer to my router nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-fixing-my-local-area-network.130889/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have Windows XP installed in a Virtual Machine (Virtual PC, not Server), and I need to know how to do something.

I'm trying to use a piece of software for virtualizing a webcam. The software is called SuperWebcam and it works pretty well from what I can see. I have to install this software under a VPC though because it's not Vista x64 compatible. The problem with this is that Virtual Machine emulates a sound card, so I can't choose a recording input. The SuperWebcam software outputs both the video and audio to the Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder, which is what I'm using the stream the video to the net (justin.tv). The problem here is that the emulated sound card is using my actual webcam's audio input as it's desired sound input, not SuperWebcam's audio. Does anyone know a way I might change this behavior?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sound-input-in-virtual-machine.129226/
Relevancy 21.93%

I previously set up a home network that worked..then all of a sudden it says Local Only...I do diagnostic...New Ip..doesn't work...disconnect modem..doesn't work...reset adapter..doesn't work....
The desktop is connected via Local Area Connection and I installed a Belkin Wireless Adapter(USB)...
My laptop Dell connects to the ad hoc network wirelessly...
They both connect to the network fine..but my laptop can't connect to the network
* I have already set the LAC to share its internet connection
I cant set the wireless one to share on the desktop..but I have the option to on the laptop but I don't think that would work...
I made my LAC public..I think that was the default...and the wireless Private...Please help!

A:Fix my "Local Only" ad hoc connection

public-private are Vista choices -- you need to use PRIVATE. The public choice is
for use at a hotspot where security is extra tight and Print/File Sharing must be inhibited.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fix-my-local-only-ad-hoc-connection.128228/
Relevancy 25.8%

I just built a i7 machine and it keeps shutting off randomly.

specs are:
i7 920 not OC
MSI Pro x58 mobo
6 gb of OCZ ram
500w antec +85% efficiency.

I have run prime 95 to stress the cpu for heat and temps rise but machine stays stable.

I have a hunch its the psu but would love some other opinions.

A:New i7 machine shuts off randomly

what video card do you have because if it is a powerful one then definately PSU

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-i7-machine-shuts-off-randomly.128636/
Relevancy 25.8%

I've had this error a few times, firstly when starting windows a line would come across the screen and a loud buzzing when the windows chime is tried to play, then blue screen, restart blue screen, again and again. Left it for a week, switched on, everything worked, then went into my music program, no sound, says audio is disabled, tried to reinstall drivers and nothing happens, heres the error

0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0xbab3c050, 0xf2000840, 0x00000800)

I found a page on the web with the same code but its in what looks like german. . . .

209.85.229.132/search?q=cac [...] clnk&gl=uk

Would much appreciate any help!

A:Machine check exception

What are your computer's specs? Make and model? You may have to install a PCI sound card to correct this

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/machine-check-exception.127694/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello All
My C drive is full is there a way to format it without taking the windows Xp out?
thanks for Help

A:Local disk full

Formatting it, will remove all files and folders, including Windows

Run CCleaner

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, and remove any not required programs

Download and run KCleaner http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4755-kcleaner.html
(uncheck RelevantKnowledge during install, pic here: http://i42.tinypic.com/aloy8z.gif)
Fully run (it says start actually )

Restart

Check how much space is now available

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-disk-full.127039/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi everyone I know you guys see this post all of the new on machine a Advice time in fact that is how I found the site I am interested in Advice on a new machine getting a new PC and need some advice I am a true multimedia guy but not a gamer I use all of the CS and soon to be CS suite I animate using DS Advice on a new machine Max I create and edit videos etc I need a machine that will do that and speech recognition unlike my current one due to internal feedback Something is going on just not sure what Speech recognition and dependability are very important I am disabled and it is difficult to take it to a shop ship it off etc I also use it Advice on a new machine for work so it has to work I have heard good things about AlienWare but they seem you are paying for a good product and a name I don t need fancy lights I am a software guy noy a hardware guy This is what I built at AW for Opinions Where could I do better Thaks in advance D Area- X Processor Intel Core i - Extreme GHz MB Cache Alienware P Chassis Alienware P Chassis with AlienIce Video Cooling - Space Black AlienFX Alienware Standard System Lighting - Fusion Red Alienware P Chassis Upgrades Alienware Standard System Cooling Power Supply Alienware Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply Graphics Processor Single MB NVIDIA GeForce GT Video Optimizer AlienAdrenaline v Video Performance Optimizer - More Info Memory GB DDR SDRAM at MHz - x MB Motherboard Alienware Approved Intel X- Motherboard- Socket Core i Ready Dual Triple Channel DDR Memory Operating System Office software not included Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate -bit Edition with Service Pack System Drive Single Drive Configuration - GB SATA Gb s RPM MB Cache Optical Drives Single Drive Configuration - Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader BD-ROM DVD RW CD-RW Enthusiast Essentials Dual High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Ports Sound Card High-Definition Performance Audio Keyboard Standard Keyboard - Standard Keyboard Mouse Standard Mouse - Standard Optical -Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel Warranty -Year AlienCare Onsite Service and Toll-Free Phone Support Alienware Extras Alienware Mesh Cap Alienware Extras Alienware Desktop Binder Alienware Extras Owner Identification Card Alienware Extras Internal Wire Management Avatar Alienhead D Window Style Default Window Style Mouse Pointers Standard Mouse Pointers Power Plan Standard Power Plan Automatic Updates Automatic Updates On Sidebar Gadgets Calendar Sidebar Gadgets Contact List ref Windows Address Book Time Zones GMT - Central Time US amp Canada nbsp

A:Advice on a new machine

What is your disability? I ask because knowing your condition would help us, help you better. I have Cerebral Palsy from birth

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-on-a-new-machine.126491/
Relevancy 25.37%

Guys, can you help me out, I got my omnibook to try to boot by network, but I can't figure out were to go from here. I don't know what images to put in the boot section (images) on the manager. I don't have a floppy drive in either pc. So I can't run 98 boot disk, or snag the files off of it. I do have the disk for 98se. But I am trying to load xp pro sp2 on this laptop. please help.

A:Argon boot manager: error: unable to read local media

I am needing to find the program to create a virtual floppy drive, or the installxp.img file, can anybody help me?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/argon-boot-manager-error-unable-to-read-local-media.124225/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a few spare fans pilfered from retired machines. They are 3-pin, 12v fans.

When I plug them in and boot the machine, they don't go.

I've looked through BIOS thoroughly, and don't see any kind of sysfan or setting which would otherwise help.

How can I make these fans spin? And thank you, in advance...

A:Adding a Case-Fan to my machine

Update:

I tested the voltage on the motherboard, and the pins are live, but underpowered. When I plug the fans into a test machine, they both still work. The pins get a much higher reading on the voltmeter on the test machine than on my main machine, (on which they don't work). My main isn't great (foxconn on a Dell GX620), and it's the next thing I intend to upgrade, but the machine is otherwise pretty good.

I run a 650w PSU... what can I do to increase juice to the 3-pin?

It just gets me that I can't plug in a case fan to this cruddy, but otherwise trusty mobo!

Thanks for the help...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-a-case-fan-to-my-machine.121110/
Relevancy 25.8%

I bought a new computer yesterday and decided to add another hdd Here is my new machine specs Gateway FX - with an Intel Core Quad Q GB DDR SDRAM PC - ram GB -Serial ATA- - rpm ATI Radeon HD MB Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium -bit Edition I have a Western Digital Caviar Green WD EACS TB SATA Gb s Hard Drive that is Brand New machine in 2nd new problems Installing HDD I Installed the hdd and everything looks OK Bios recognizes it Computer Management sees it When I try and format Installing 2nd HDD in new machine problems the disc so I can use it I get this Message The operation cannot be completed because the disk is not initialized What does this mean I cannot figure this out Any and all help is appreciated In computer management gt storage the hdd was showing I had to right click where it says Disk not where Installing 2nd HDD in new machine problems the hdd storage information was What a pain in the keister When I would right click where the storage volume is I could create a simple volume but I would get the error message saying the disk was not initialized Problem solved nbsp

A:Installing 2nd HDD in new machine problems

Download and install Western Digitals hard drive install program. It will properly configure your new drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-2nd-hdd-in-new-machine-problems.121107/
Relevancy 25.8%

Can someone help me. when i start my cpu loud noise after starting up.The monitor screen is still blank , I have to manually shut it off and on more then once until i get a screen F10 boot or F2 bio even , after i reboot it gives me a blank Can anybody help me .

A:E-Machine T6216 Blank Screen

paydrom said:

Can someone help me. when i start my cpu loud noise after starting up.The monitor screen is still blank , I have to manually shut it off and on more then once until i get a screen F10 boot or F2 bio even , after i reboot it gives me a blank Can anybody help me .Click to expand...

You would have to submit more info.
How long have you had this computer ?
Did you ever have a successful boot ? Etc.etc.
Give us more info so we may be able to help you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/e-machine-t6216-blank-screen.120461/
Relevancy 26.23%

Ijust experienced my first PSU failure and being the smart guy E Machine Mod T2885 # that I thought I was I bought a new watt PSU for it with lifetime warranty for First sign of failure was slow machine and then the burning smell but only for a second The machine wouldn t shut down and the hard drive and quot floppy drive continued to machine gun with the activity lights doing the same I had to unplug the machine as the switch wouldn t shut it off I know you are all laughing as my MB is most likely bad Yes the PSU didn t get it back up and running Same response Now I really would not like to lose my data on my hard drive backup what s that and I am looking for info on a direct replacement MB or a suggestion on a replacement computer I can just install my hard drive into and be up and running again The board is an Intel D EPI E Machine Mod # T2885 D GVSR with an Intel chipset and a Celeron gig processor with a socket Any help would be really E Machine Mod # T2885 appreciated as I had just downloaded a bunch of photos from my camera of my now deceased cat buddy of years and was going to transfer them to a disk when this happened They were erased from my camera memory so it s a very sad day Thanks Terry nbsp

A:E Machine Mod # T2885

It is going to be very hard to find a replacement motherboard the will fit your processor and memory. It looks like eMachines is no longer offering replacement parts. You could buy an external USB hard drive enclosure and connect it to another computer running XP, and recover your files that way

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/e-machine-mod-t2885.119585/
Relevancy 26.66%

hello friends, i wanted to know the steps to connect my printer to all of my computers on the network.....

thanks

A:How to connect my local printer to the network?

google for 'printserver' which will get an IP address.

It goes on the network and the printer connects to it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-connect-my-local-printer-to-the-network.119007/