Windows Support Forum

Can't switch user

Q: Can't switch user

Switch user isn't working for me, every time I try, nothing happens. Log off is working fine. I don't know if this relates, recently I was using a program to clean the registry, and it may have deleted something it was not supposed to.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Can't switch user

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

I bought a R9 270X by XFX. My current specs are:

CPU: AMD A10 7800k (Standard Clock Speeds, Graphics Disabled)
RAM: 4GB (2 sticks, both working)
Motherboard: FM2, Gigabyte
PSU: 500 watt 80+ Cert Silver
HDD: 500GB WD Blue

So the issue is that the R9 card consistenly crashes out of all games no matter if I uninstall the drivers or reinstall them. I have tried removing the drivers through catalyst control center and through application based tools (DisplayDriverUninstaller). Once I uninstall and reinstall, it works, until the computer is restarted and then rinse and repeat.

Is this the card saying it is dying? If so it is a weird way of graphics card dying.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/r9-270x-doa-or-user-error.209138/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 21.07%

I bought a ADSL Modem D-Link 2730U

We are connecting to the Modem via Laptop, PC, Phone,... at the same time.

I want to know how can I monitor network(Receive/Send) for each user who connected to the Modem.

Can I do such thing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-network-for-each-user-connected-to-adsl-router-modem.206910/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello!
About a year ago, the newest monitor for our home's main computer stopped functioning, so it had stopped being used. However, today I was in search of some files I needed that were on our old main computer, so I hooked up the old monitor that came with that computer and it didn't work as well. (The old monitor worked on a different computer). I tried hooking up a few other spare monitors to the old computer, but it they also did not work either. I came to the conclusion that the monitor input had crashed.

So, here's my question: Is it possible to use a KVM switch to display the old computers monitor display on my laptop to get access to my files, even without the old computer's monitor input functioning?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kvm-switch-no-working-monitor-input.204590/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have joined a computer (PC1) to a domain control server (2008), and user able to login using their domain user account - although recently I have found out that even though the computer (PC1) do not connect to a server, user still able to access using their domain account.
Is there a way for me to restrict domain account user from accessing the computer (PC1) if they are disconnected from server?
Hope my explanation make sense to you guyz.

Thank in advance

A:Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

Lots to be considered. Joining a domain is intended to give the company admin configuration control of all the company users.
This is normal, expected and even proper for the company to do this.

restrict domain account userClick to expand...

hmm; only the company admin should be able to do this and almost always it is done using some scripts, NOT by loggin into your PC. So - - who is accessing your PC remotely, the admin - - how do you know this occurs?

PCs joined to a domain usually get a replacement for PC Login - - the network form and that creates a link to the domain controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prevening-domain-user-from-accessing-computer.204127/
Relevancy 27.52%

I purchased a D-Link DGS-1100-08P POE managed switch that I am planning on using for my NAS and security cameras. I wanted to test it out but the default IP is 10.90.90.90 with a subnet of 255.0.0.0. I have been able to access its web page with a direct connection and my laptop set to a static IP and I have been able to access it over my wired system using the D-Link SmartConsole utility. My question is what changes should I make to integrate it into a standard home network. Is it as simple as changing the IP and Subnet or are there other things to consider? Also, If I change it to say 192.168.1.2 should I change the range on the router DHCP server to start at 192.168.1.3?

A:First managed switch questions

{for those unaware, the PoE means Power over Ethernet to supply power to the attached devices, aka the cameras in this case}

default IP is 10.90.90.90 with a subnet of 255.0.0.0.Click to expand...

I assume you are connected something like:

isp==Modem/router ---- D-Link DGS-1100-08P -- cameras
the use of 10.x.x.x / 255.0.0.0 allows a very big network.
In this configuration and a FIXED ip on the switch, you only need a static route in your primary modem/router.

Attach the switch and login to the primary router. Look for Attached Devices.
If your primary router is at 192.168.1.1, then the switch will have an address x.1.NN where
255>NN>2

a) use the Address Reservation feature to map the MAC address of the Switch to 192.168.1.254
and thus your lan will see the switch as that address
b) Now add a static route 10.90.90.0 -> 192.168.1.253

Your PC systems can then directly access every device attached to the switch.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-managed-switch-questions.202733/
Relevancy 21.93%

I finally found out why my wireless keyboard didn't work as I mentioned in another thread several months back.
Evidently the USB wifi thingy was in a USB port that didn't work. When I was going thru this thread http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unknown-device.202706/
I removed it thinking it might be the unknown device.
Anyhow, I've been trying to find the manual for my wireless KB & can't find it.
I'm not sure which number(s) I need. MS PART NO. X820309-001
Serial number or Product ID? Here it is

A:MS Keyboard user manual help

Well, I went here http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/wireless-keyboard-3000 & despite the fact its default language is English, the downloads are in any language BUT.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ms-keyboard-user-manual-help.202759/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have networked PCs before many times successfully so this is not my first time trying to network PCs in a home environment Though I m wondering if Windows is part of the problem I would have thought that for sure until one of the name credentials bad password? user with unknown even correct failure: or "Logon new laptops running W would not connect to any of the other three PCs Laptops running W Yet these other three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to this laptop Then it gets a little more "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password? even with correct credentials interesting this same laptop that couldn t connect to those three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to a Windows desktop and a XP Laptop and those two can also connect back to it without issue It s almost like my network is divided in half and only half can talk to each other But then when I thought it couldn t get any more interesting I realized the first three W PCs Laptops can talk to the others it s just that the others W Laptop W Desktop XP Laptop can t talk back to them without getting the error quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password even though the username and password are correct I don t fully understand this error because on the surface it s just WRONG My username and password are correct but it appears something somewhere is interfering or hijacking the authentication process Three of the computers laptops are brand new just purchased last week and setup this week The HostPC is also fairly new just purchased last month I am not using a HomeGroup and have removed all computers that were part of a HomeGroup I have enabled file sharing and network discovery and enabled Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers on all PCs I have DSL and am using the wireless modem provided by my ISP which has router functionality built into it It is a Sagemcom Model F ST N All computers are connected wirelessly Time is correct on all PCs I cannot use Group Policy since they re all Standard or Home edition DHCP is enabled and all computers are on the same subnet using the x range of ip addresses The six computers are as follows I figured this may make is easier to visualize the layout HostPC HP Desktop W PC Name DrsBlend U N DrsBlend p w not showing my real password PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Desktop W SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC Dell Laptop XP SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W Every PC stated above has the same user name and password and is logged-in with the username DrsBlend and the password The quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password happens when trying to access HostPC PC or PC from PC PC or PC The HostPC can see and connect to all the PCs but only PC and PC can talk back or access the HostPC It s like the HostPC and PC and PC are in their own little clique and can talk back and forth to each other Those three PCs can also talk to PC PC and PC as well but PC PC and PC cannot talk back to them HostPC PC PC Profile corruption I would have entertained that thought but the fact the first three PCs can access and talk to one another kind of defeats that idea and the fact the PCs were just recently setup Firewall Disabled and disabled TrendMicro with no change With them on off the first three PCs can still talk to each other and the rest of the PCs Anyone have any additional suggestions nbsp

A:"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password” even with correct credentials

I experienced a similar problem when I was trying to network my 8.1 machine the host network. As you say the host PC can see and connect to all of the machines, but not the other way around. Not sure if it is the same in your situation but I found that Microsoft's idea of network sharing on the Windows 8 class of OS differs greatly from previous OS's in that you can connect to it from an external host, but when trying to do the other way around it doesn't "see" the PC in question due to differing network sharing protocols included in the OS.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am speaking only from what happened with my network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logon-failure-unknown-user-name-or-bad-password%E2%80%9D-even-with-correct-credentials.201313/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 still running XP that has an administrator account, as well as a guest account (where the important docs I need are stored). It has a faulty DC jack, and I plan on having it recycled due to the fact the repair would cost more than the computer is worth. If I remove the hard drive and put it in a USB housing, would I be able to access the info stored under the guest account without any problems?

Relevancy 21.93%

I issue An logins with user have a former company PC Earlier I was attempting to remove the company An issue with user logins domain from it so that I didn t have to An issue with user logins log in as the previous user every time just to get to the desktop So I changed the computer name right click my computer properties computer name I then clicked on Network ID and set to this computer is for An issue with user logins home use and then it went wrong I restarted the computer as instructed and tried to log on as the user as before but it is telling me the password is incorrect The username is correct and so is the password It s clear that whatever I did with the Network ID has caused this I have logged on as administrator but need to access the other user due to the saved files on there etc Can someone help me revert back access that user account from admin Is there a way to completely detach the PC from the previous domain so that it is like a normal home PC with no log in Thank You nbsp

A:An issue with user logins

Administrator account has permission to access files from other users. Just go to the C:/Users section or whatever.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/an-issue-with-user-logins.198449/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi this is my first post

I am looking to change my graphics card inside my computer so I can run games like Skyrim Diablo 3 Dota 2 and Saints Row 4 I was wondering what I should go for with a budget of $60-$80

ComputerSpecs: Intel Core2Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset
4GB Ram
I know my graphics card is primative and im kinda sick f having evreything in ultra low quality

A:Graphics Card Switch

If you can stretch your budget to $90, a Radeon HD 7770 like this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161433 - should work okay, but you need a minimum 500 watt PSU with at least one 6 pin PCIe power connector (or an adapter).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/graphics-card-switch.196361/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Windows 7 computer wired into my home network. It has a printer attached to it that I have set to share. I have a windows 7 laptop and an XP laptop. Both 7 machines can see open the shared drives on the XP machine but when I try to access the shared drives of either 7 machine from any of the other machines I am asked to give a User ID and a password. This is a private Home network. I have no passwords set up on any of the machines. I'm trying to set up the printer on the two laptops and I can't access it without the User ID Password window popping up. Does anyone know what the problem is?

A:Home Network asking for user ID and password

This is all normal operation for print/file sharing. If you really want sharing without using passwords (imo a security risk), then you need to google for "anonymous sharing"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-asking-for-user-id-and-password.194484/
Relevancy 27.52%

My apologies if this in the wrong area, it seemed right at the time.. My problem is, brand ned build roughly a week old.. When I hit the power switch nothing happens, I have to reach around and flip the PSU switch on and on again, then hit the power button and it starts up just fine. A friend mentioned it could be a short, or a grounding pen somewhere interfering. But as I've never seen a problem like this, I can't diagnosis it on my own.

Case: Cooler Master 932 HAF
Mobo: Sabertooth Z77
PSU: Corsair HX850

A:Power Switch not working right

Hey Mogymog. Does this happen every time you turn on the pc or is it an intermittent but frequent problem?. I assume you already checked the power switch wiring to the mobo for a secure connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-switch-not-working-right.194347/
Relevancy 26.66%

I recently started using a gigabit switch alongside my TP-Link router.

My room is setup like a LAN area, with a desk long enough for 4 pc's, so I have 4 cables running from the switch to the computers.

My router is providing DHCP and has a PS3 and VOIP phone plugged up to it.

Is there anything blaring that would cause the machines not to transfer files at gigabit speeds? Currently they transfer at 10-12mbps, which is normal for a 10/100 connection.

Anything I'm missing?

I can get into a lot of detail, but I need to know what needs to be told.

A:Home Network Routing - Using a Switch for file transfers?

Weakest link in the chain prevails.

Code:

ISP=Router--switch-- PC{1+}
|
+--- other device(s)

Consider just devices attached to the router, the slowest Nic {wired or wifi} will control the bandwidth to the device. A PC with a 10/100 adapter dominate data to/from it regardless of the GB Switch. If PC.a and PC.b (both with GB adapters and attached to the switch) copy 'twix each other, you may get much better performance.

Data to/from other devices (attached to the router) will be dominated by the Router LAN port speeds or the devices themselves.

99% of us get no benefit whatsoever from GB routers or Switches as all devices need GB ratings :sigh:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-routing-using-a-switch-for-file-transfers.192722/
Relevancy 23.22%

Greetings!

I have a problem. I have a cable modem CISCO 2100, INTELLINET wired router, D-Link 10/100 switch. Modem is connected to router along with 3 other computers, switch is connected to router along with 2 other computers. Now all that works fine.
When I try to connect my TELINDUS 1132 ADSL wireless router to switch, I can't access the wireless router, which is http://192.168.1.1/. Why I do this? Because I want to setup my wireless router to work with my laptop in a wireless way, but I can't even access the router.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

A:Modem+router+switch+wireless router

Without the wifi connected, use IPCONFIG /ALL and look for the Gateway address - - that should be your 192.168.1.1[*]

Now connect any computer directly to a lan port on the new wifi router BUT leave the WAN port empty!
Again use the ipconfig and look at the Gateway address - - it MUST NOT BE 192.168.1.1 - - that would create a conflict.

While connected like this, change the router address (say 192.168.2.1), limit the DHCP range to something like 2-16, set a new admin password and save the configuration. You will need to login again and now setup the WiFi SSID and passphrase for your encryption. Disable Remote Management and do not allow port 8080. Save the configuration once more.

Now you can add the WiFi router, but let's talk about the wiring.

You now have

Code:

Modem=Router#1--Switch--devices(3)
|
+--- more stuff(2)

The TELINDUS 1132 ADSL is intended to be a modem+router so you will need to
connect a LAN slot on the TELINDUS 1132 to a LAN slot on a switch. (leave the DSL connection empty).

Code:

Modem=Router#1--Switch--devices(3)
| |
| +---- TELINDUS 1132 . . . WiFi Connections
+--- more stuff(2)

ALL your devices will now be controlled by the 192.168.1.1 router shown at the top[*].
The new wifi router on 192.168.2.1 will control the WiFi access, but never assign an IP address. This creates a single LAN subnet and any active device can be configured for all windows Print/File Sharing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/modem-router-switch-wireless-router.192234/
Relevancy 27.09%

I'm taking a networking class and am stuck on a practice problem and was hoping someone could give me some guidance.

The first time port 1 receives information from port b. The second time port 2 receives information from source e. The third time port 1 now receives information from part c (over writing the data from the first time). How do I know ports 3 and 4?
For the second part of the question, the switch would transmit data on just the port connected to e, right?

A:Practice problem about a switch and it's database

Boy that is interesting, but imo not very practical. Please don't get me wrong, you're learning good stuff
and you will certainly benefit in the long run. But in truth, many classes are taught (in all fields of education)
because they can, not because the information is useful. I took a curriculum in which there were many classes
which were there only to round out the number of units to qualify for the degree.

Surely you've wondered "how can I use this?". A class on Router Design would be more beneficial.

Best wishes, Jeff

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/practice-problem-about-a-switch-and-its-database.186330/
Relevancy 21.5%

I?ve never had to set the BIOS password, but the kids are growing up and I need to lock access to my PC.

My Bios has two Password Options: Supervisor and User.

The Supervisor password was accepted, and before I attempt to change the BIOS settings, the Supervisor password is asked for.

Then I set the user password.

However, when I boot up the PC, I am not asked for any password and windows loads as usual.

What am I missing?

The BIOS is Award Software International, Inc. F4 HI 07/03/2007

A:Unable to set BIOS user password

Do you have the option mentioned below?

Setting a BIOS Password

Now you'll want to set your system to ask for that password every time it boots, so select the BIOS FEATURES SETUP option, to see a menu something like this:

Fairly obviously, it's the Password Check option we're interested in, so select it and change the setting to ALWAYS.

etc....Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-set-bios-user-password.183774/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey guys first post here anyway i have a laptop with storage spaces in it a C drive which has my OS and drives hard Switch primary core files on it which is Gigs and my E drive music movies Switch primary hard drives etc Gigs so my OS drive is only Gigs and whenever i download a program or anything it automatically wants to go straight to my C drive This is quite annoying because i always have to go into custom install for everything and make it go into my E drive which contains my games music etc and sometimes i cant even choose to install the program to my E drive instead of my C drive it probably doesn t sound like such a problem but i do alot of downloading and installing of many different programs and this whole custom install crap is getting on my nerves because my gigs of storage meant for my OS and core files is getting filled up with Switch primary hard drives the crap i want on my E drive so anyway just wondering if there was a way to switch the save download install whatever priority of the hard drives nbsp

A:Switch primary hard drives

What Internet browser are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switch-primary-hard-drives.177372/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hey guys every time i restart my laptop it wipes all the user profiles, leaves one and wipes all the custom settings on that profile. I have no idea and any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

A:User profiles deleted on start up

This might be caused by a virus or other malware infection, a corrupt hard drive or Windows itself is corrupt... Can you do a destructive laptop restore? This is a way that the laptop is put back just like it was when you turned it on when you first bought it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profiles-deleted-on-start-up.175534/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi All This is driving me crazy at the minute so I thought I would throw it out to the experts to try and get my sanity back Here goes I have Sky BB dlink router and I have been successfully using comtrend homeplugs to share my connection to a spiderbox sky HD box and HP officejet network printer I recently had I at Netgear an DG834G switch ethernet want a use to my electricity supplier changing a meter and after he went I found that of the homeplugs had fried - I know they re temperamental so I took it on the chin Anyway I have now decided to go a different route and I purchased a Vonets wifi bridge which works well My question is this - I have an I want to use a Netgear DG834G at an ethernet switch old Netgear DG G router and I would like to use this as a network switch so that I can plug my bridge into one of the ethernet ports and draw off from of the other ports to feed my printer and Sky HD box I plugged the vonets into port and then a cable to both my printer and my sky box and nothing - then I went into my netgears homepage and disabled DHCP and hey presto I got a connection on my sky box I assumed that was that until I tried to print and the printer was not available I have tried loads of things since - static IP on the printer I usually have it static anyway as my work laptop doesn t like it otherwise manually configuring the network on my sky box changing some of the settings in my netgear router but I cannot get it working I tried changing the IP adresses on both my printer and sky box to the same as the vonets but not sure if this just made it more confusing I am sure that it shouldn t be as difficult as this to set up - can anybody help me Incidentally I have always plugged the vonets into port on my netgear Thanks in advance blueboy nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-use-a-netgear-dg834g-at-an-ethernet-switch.173171/
Relevancy 27.09%

after purchasing new xfx radeon hd to run in crossfire for optimal gaming my monitor wont detect the two cards I have tried placing the old card back in and it responds just fine to card Video detected after switch by monitor being not that one With the new cards in everything sounds like it boots and all the indicator Video card not being detected by monitor after switch leds on my motherboard show up just fine this is the exact video card im trying to use XFX HD- A-CNDC Radeon HD GB -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity this is what im running besides the xfx AMD Phenom II X T Black Edition W Six Core Socket AM GHz Mb Cache MHz HT nm Asus M A TD PRO USB Socket AM AMD FX SB Chipset DDR O C Mhz x PCI-Express x -Channel HD Audio GigaLAN x Video card not being detected by monitor after switch USB x USB x SATA Gb s ATX Cooler Master Silent Pro M Modular W Power Supply Corsair XMS Classic GB x GB DDR MHz CL DIMMs Optimized for Core i i and Core AMD Phenom II times Hitachi Deskstar K TB quot SATA Gb s rpm MB Cache OEM LG GH LS Black SATA Lightscribe DVD-Writer xDVD R -R xDVD RW xDVD-RW xDVD R DL xDVD-R DL x CD-R xCD-RW OEM Scythe NINJA Heat Pipes CPU Cooler for Intel Socket amp AMD Socket AM AM AM nbsp

A:Video card not being detected by monitor after switch

take out one of the graphics cards and see if it works, your monitor only needs to detect the one card that it is plugged into so its not a crossfire problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/video-card-not-being-detected-by-monitor-after-switch.172182/
Relevancy 21.93%

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello everybody, I have a home network with about 3 computer connected. I am using a laptop and when ever I use the net view command in cmd, I can only view my laptop. Why can't I see the other 2 computer?

All the computer have Win. 7 Home Premium Installed. Is there a way to send messages to those computers within the network, without the use of 3rd party applications... Perhaps by cmd?

I know you can, but I am unsure how.

A:Net view/net user

examples

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net view $SYSTEM_NAME
Shared resources at $SYSTEM_NAME
[B]lt-beard[/B]

Share name Type Used as Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
Italy-1 Disk
Italy-2 Disk
RealEstate Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net view emac
Shared resources at emac

Mac OS X

Share name Type Used as Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
homes Disk User Home Directories
i860 Print Canon i860
jeff Disk User Home Directories
MP470 series Print Canon MP470 series
It should be clear that NET VIEW SYSTEM is dependent upon getting Print/File Sharing working correctly.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>[B]net user jeff[/B]
User name Jeff
Full Name Jeff
Comment primary user(LUA)
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active Yes
Account expires Never

blah blah ...

Workstations allowed All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory
Last logon 9/2/2011 10:55 AM

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Users
Global Group memberships *None

Would appear to be Policy settings for the user

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/net-view-net-user.170621/
Relevancy 21.07%

Okay here is the story My laptop has a ton of valuable information on it recently my Norton protection ran out and was unable to renew it Well somebody hacked my system and now I have a ton of viruses trojans and malware So I was still able to use my Copy to drive external profile user entire hard PC for internet usage and my music still played in Windows Media Player So all in all my laptop still worked Now today I go to turn on my laptop and it will not boot up at all I can t even system restore or repair it with windows repair However I do need to back up my files and since my hard drive is what is wrong in the first place I think it might be better instead of copying the entire hard drive to my terabyte external hard drive if it would make more sense just to copy my entire user profile onto my external I am wondering if this is possible i have heard of LiveCD s and Parted Magic from this forum But I am wondering if I can just back up all of my files that way If I can back up all of my files like that I might save money instead of taking to a repairman and just fix it myself So is it possible to copy and back-up the entire user profile of a laptop that will not boot up to an external hard drive Basically I want to copy the entire contents of my User Profile on Vista onto an external drive so I can use my reboot CD to reboot my laptop without losing any of my files and folders or Copy entire user profile to external hard drive anything for that Copy entire user profile to external hard drive matter I figure the best way to do that would be to copy the user profile so all the contents of that profile would go onto my external Then I reboot my computer and put Copy entire user profile to external hard drive the User Profile back on Simple nbsp

A:Copy entire user profile to external hard drive

Have you tried a repair install? If that is possible that will leave your files intact.. It is a good idea to back on a regular basis anyway.

The other possibility is connecting your hard drive as a slave drive on another pc.

If the repair install is not possible there are a number of ways using boot cd's to access your data.

Here is one solution that is free and should do what you want
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copy-entire-user-profile-to-external-hard-drive.169549/
Relevancy 27.09%

I was using my Sony Vaio laptop (FE series I think...at least 5 yrs old) on Skype with family when the laptop crashed. I pressed the on/off button to switch off the laptop and reboot but there was no response when the laptop was trying to power up. The on-off button lights up, the 3 caps lock/scroll lock, etc lights switch on and remain on, but nothing appears on screen and nothing furter appears to happen.

I've left the laptop on charge for a couple of days and retried, same outcome. I've tried starting from the power cable and no battery, same outcome.

Do you have any ideas to as to what might have happened and how I can fix it? Would my hard-drive be corrupting thus losing all the data stored? How would I be able to hook the hard-drive up to another machine and copy off all the data?

Thanks

A:Sony Vaio laptop won't switch on

Hello, it looks like there is something wrong with your screen, but is it always just black even from starting? Because on start you could enter recovery mode and start the laptop in safe mode, but if it's impossible to do so, then you can try to connect your laptop to external PC if you have one. Then you will see what's going on and figure out is it a screen problem or the whole system is messed up. Good luck!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sony-vaio-laptop-wont-switch-on.169363/
Relevancy 26.66%

I need modem firewall -> SonicWall switch router Cable -> a and some assistance with our network at the office We recently switched from having our data and voice being managed through a T and a phone server on site to having a cable modem and a virtual PBX Previous set up was T Line - gt Box from T provided - gt Cable modem -> switch -> router and a SonicWall firewall one line to the phone server and a second line to a SonicWall Cable modem -> switch -> router and a SonicWall firewall Firewall which then went to a couple of dell switches We have switched to a cable modem with static IP s and a Cable modem -> switch -> router and a SonicWall firewall virtual PBX Tech support for the PBX company suggested we configure our net work as follows --- gt Router--- gt Switch that connects to all phones Cable Mode -- gt Unmanaged switch-- --- gt SonicWall-- gt Switch that connects to computers I configured the router for the phones and that works with no problems But when I configure the SonicWall with the information provided by our cable modem provider it worked but the SonicWall said it needed to restart after configuration so I clicked restart Then the the internet connection wouldn t work and I couldn t get back into the SonicWall After numerous attempts at powering down the SonicWall and switch I finally was able to access it again and then the connection disappeared and finally I got access back again and reset everything to how it was on the T line The WAN setting on the SonicWall are as follows SonicWALL WAN IP NAT Public Address I set this to an IP address in the range provided and made sure it was different than the one in use by the router for the phones WAN Subnet Mask I set this to the subnet our provider sent listed WAN Gateway Router Address I set this to the Gateway address our provider listed DNS Server amp Set to what our provider sent over There is also an option for LAN settings SonicWALL LAN IP Address I left this as it was LAN Subnet Mask I set this to the subnet mask our provider listed From reading the setup guide for the SonicWall everything seems to be correct but then I am not able to access it nor do we have an internet connection The phones still work so there is connectivity to the modem I also tried connecting directly to the SonicWall rather than through a switch with no success Reseting seems to eventually work but I am not sure if that worked or if it was something else I am not sure what additional information would be needed so if you need something else please let me know nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cable-modem-switch-router-and-a-sonicwall-firewall.168798/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

I have a lynksis wrt400n wireless router. I noticed today that there is a user named 'scotty-PC' in my network.

I do have it password protected.

I'm thinking the easiest way would be to shut off the wireless if that is possible. My wife and I are both hardwired into the router anyways.

How do I go about shutting off the wireless signal from the router?

Thank you in advance!

A:Need help with unknown user in my network

use your browser to reconfig the router - - use the IP address 193.168.1.1 as a URL
login: leave user name empty, password is admin
(obviously this needs to be changed too - - read on)

the Users Guide is here

Option one would be to DISABLE the radio - - read thru to find that

Option two would be to use WiFi Mac Filtering; -- pg 14
This option will allows ONLY defined systems access, so set a dummy, like the MAC
address of your wired NIC

Before you quit, DISABLE remote management on port 8080
and CHANGE that admin password

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-unknown-user-in-my-network.164009/
Relevancy 27.52%

i have a tp-link 5-port switch which has worked without a hitch for about 2 years. now there are issues - sometimes i cannot get a network connection. if i power the switch down then up again, a good connection is restored.

the set up is like this:
dsl router direct to 2 computers and the switch, then two other computers and a printer through the switch.
i have recently done a major hardware upgrade to the two machines connected to the switch, but they are both running xp as before.

can these switches develop faults?
is it on OS problem?
it happens even with only one of the computers on the switch running

A:Network switch faulty?

yes, a switch can fail just like any other active component. I lost one port on mine but had a vacant slot so I just moved the cable to the vacant position.

fyi: the DSL Router ---> Switch is just fine, but be aware that the DHCP service of the Router is providing all the TCP/IP configuration data, even to the systems attached to the switch.

Your test for correct configuration is to run IPCONFIG /ALL on a working system and
then compare that to the results on a failing system.
Usually, it is obvious on the failing systems that the configuration is not correct.
It is possible however, that the failing system is configured correctly but still fails.

see Basic Networking for descrete testing of connectivity

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-switch-faulty.161455/
Relevancy 23.65%

I have an emachines w3052 and i had to replace the motherboard in it and i didn't pay close enough enough attention to were i pulled the led and power switch wires from if anyone knows what i can do to fix please help. Also the motherboard is a fic-k7mnf-64 i looked at the manual no help i also looked beside the 10pin connector were they go and it doesnt give a description so if you know please tell me lol

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/emachines-w3052-hdd-led-power-led-power-switch-problems.161126/
Relevancy 27.09%

I have 2 inspiron E1505s. One is a laptop that has been used a lot and is starting to fall apart and runs XP. The other is about the same age rarly been used and runs Vista. I want to take the hard drive from the one that is falling apart and put it in the one that is still in good shape. Other then changing some drivers is their anything I should worry about. I do have some import documents on the XP drive but they have been backed up. I really want to stay with XP. I assume getting differnt drivers would not be too much of a hassle. Will this be a pretty easy thing to do?

A:Switch hard drives in laptops

If you look at the Product Key sticker and it has OEM written on it you can't transfer the operating system to another PC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switch-hard-drives-in-laptops.160222/
Relevancy 49.02%

I ll try to shorten this some I was having some problems that I determined were either caused by the hard drive corrupted WinXP Media Version or my RAM I ran MEM Test user paste Can't switch copy can't and and it failed so I replaced the RAM with one G Can't switch user can't copy and paste stick That solved several issues I still had an issue with switching users I had the computer set up for users with myself as the admin My partition is that what it s called works just fine but if I log into one of the other three it will not allow shutdown restart log off or change user It forces me to do a hard shutdown I decided that my OS may be corrupted so I took the opportunity to install a bigger faster HD and installed WinXP Pro The problem did not go away This doesn t make sense to me What else could cause this I also have a new problem Sometimes the copy and paste feature will just quit working It seems to copy but then the Paste will not quot light up quot when I right click in the program I want to use Could this be driver related nbsp

A:Can't switch user can't copy and paste

It's possible that the group policy is keeping the regular users from doing things like log off, or shutdown. You may want to check what the settings are or put all those users into a single group and give them the proper permissions to do whatever you want.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-switch-user-cant-copy-and-paste.159642/
Relevancy 26.23%

as soon as i put power to the power supply the computer starts without any connections to the front pannel switch and resets the bios as if i pulled the cmos battery out, mobo FIC, k8mc51g 754 socket with an a-power 680 watt power supply not what the board used from the factory im sure,im wondering if the factory power supply had wires and connector to the board like a system fan or somthing to keep the main 20 pin connector from starting the flow of power through the boaed

A:Power by-passing switch k8mc51g mobo clears BIOS

a dead cmos battery seems to be the problem ,charged up the old one and now works fine

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-by-passing-switch-k8mc51g-mobo-clears-bios.159179/
Relevancy 34.83%

So I just bought a KVM Switch mini size the guy at the store told me that it would do the trick The trick meaning that I would be able to switch between the Xbox and the PC with no problems at first I had a lot of trouble getting it to work until I realised that I had forgotten to plug the keyboard cable into the KVM Switch At least I managed to get things to work A bit The problem is that I manage to switch between the PC and the but once I ve switched to the it Switch the cmoputer between - KVM switch 360 Can't and immediately goes back to the PC I ve checked everything in the manual and I m doing it quot right quot as far as I know quot Switch between KVM Switch - Can't switch between cmoputer and the 360 the computers PC and PC by pressing the Select button on the front panel Use the Hot Key command on the keyboard Press Scroll Lock quickly twice and then or to switch between computer and computer quot Whenever I do this the KVM Switch beeps switches to the then back to the PC could anyone please give me a hand nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kvm-switch-cant-switch-between-cmoputer-and-the-360.158973/
Relevancy 27.09%

Component Upgrade bit gt bit switch Hey guys switch? Component 64bit to and 32bit upgrade not sure where exactly to post this but here i go As usual i come here to seek out professional help from you guys and every time i get the support that i need which i gladly appreciate So here i am again asking for new advice First of all i would want to ask you if i should switch Component upgrade and 32bit to 64bit switch? from bit windows to bit I am not sure how i am going to go on about switch from to bit and see if it is really worth it and if it will boost my PC s performace I have GB of total RAM i believe Component upgrade and 32bit to 64bit switch? not completely sure so i know that bit can only recognized GB of RAM so i am pretty much wasting the other GB of RAM by using bit I currently use my PC for movies music and gaming in-game video recording as well as using adobe photoshop indesign dreamwaver flash and illustrator for my graphics work CS package I do have slight performance impact when using the CS software package but its not thing big only small laag which isn t effecting me too much The main point behind me wanting to switch is to squeeze out the most of my computer to get full performance when doing my design work or playing games Is switch bit to bit really worth it Is it easy to do or do i need to send it off to someone professional My computer specs are the following PSU http img imageshack us img imgp x jpg http img imageshack us img imgp k jpg The below screenshot includes BIOS Chassis Motherboard CPU speed general properties cache motherboard properties bios properties power management sensors the temperatures are pretty average you can give - degrees while on heavy use The highest i get never goes past degrees idle is about - DMI info and more http img imageshack us img mycomputerspecspart jpg http img imageshack us img mycomputerspecspart jpg Memory Information RAM etc http img imageshack us img memoryvideo jpg Network Information speeds http img imageshack us img networkinfo jpg Storage Information http img imageshack us img storagebw jpg http img imageshack us img storage n jpg CPUID http img imageshack us img cpuid jpg I know that s a lot of information and some of it if not most of it is pretty much useless but i though you may be interested If you need more information feel free to ask and il give it to your right away ofc not personal info xD hehe So overall here are my questions Can i upgrade from bit to bit Shall i upgrade to bit Is it really worth it or will be a performance loss or big hassle I never done this kind of thing before Should i overclock I could seek professional help instead of me doing it dont want to screw it up What components shall i upgrade Graphics card Processor Motherboard or PSU I think W or W PSU would be good Any other bits and pieces i should do Are there any bits and pieces that my computer is lacking in Low RAM for example etc Will i need to reinstall lot of programs so that they support bit version I love computers i love looking into them and fiddling with them I have a old computer which i took its fan out and wanted to put it in my quot new quot computer but i couldn t find any socket to plug it to there isnt much space to fit the fan I also have spare graphics card lame RAM sticks and few other bits and pieces I took the HDD out and had a trouble reinstalling and actually making it recognizable and with my poo knowledge it took me a week to figure it out since my step dads bro was busy his more of a computer expert then me hehe but i did it yay I have spent money on my kite gear so i am not loaded up and i am only so yeh that said i could get a job since i only go to school days per week which is awesome xD I would like to learn a lot more about building computers and its hardware so i guess overclocking the PC and putting new parts would teach me quite few bits and pieces PS I haven t included tags since the screen shots are fairly big and i didn t want to flood the... Read more

A:Component upgrade and 32bit to 64bit switch?

You'll need to reinstall an x64 OS in order to switch; there's no way around this.

You shouldn't have any issues IMHO, and using an x64 OS means you can upgrade your RAM later in the future without having to install an x64 OS at that point.

How much are you looking to spend on your PC in total? Also, will you be buying online or from retail stores?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/component-upgrade-and-32bit-to-64bit-switch.153840/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey. I just got some new cat6A STP cables, and tested out my connection speed by directly connecting to my computer. I got somewhere around 100Mbs (I live at a university, so the internet is fast). When I connect my computer through my 10 year old linksys router, it maxes out right at 10Mbs. I am assuming that it is too old to support 100Mbs speeds, so I was wondering if I get a new router or switch, would one of those be able to support the 100Mbs, and which would be faster?

Edit: I guess I should add that I have tried looking for the answer to this question but most answers that I saw were for 5Mbs connections, thus people said it did not matter. But I could not find anything about higher speeds.

A:Router vs. switch speed

If your connection requires a router, get a new router. Otherwise a switch or direct connection would be fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-vs-switch-speed.158076/
Relevancy 27.52%

my acer powered down by itself like the power had run out but it hadnt....so i had to force shutdown...since then it wont switch back on the connection light just flashes twice slowly instead of several times like normal and the screen remains black... i have tried all the remove battery and ac tricks and nothing is working ,,,,any ideas ?????????

A:My Acer notebook won't switch on

Have you wiped the RAM and the deep sleep settings by unplugging it from the AC adapter and also removing the battery, then waiting half an hour?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-acer-notebook-wont-switch-on.156067/
Relevancy 25.37%

Ok so i sent out my girls laptop about 3 months ago, because the motherboard and keyboard went bad. They said oh it will take 2 weeks to get back out to you.... Anyway they replaced the keyboard and the motherboard, and everything works great now. But there is a tiny slide switch button on the left hand side for a wireless connection that will go left or right. It is stuck and wont go right or left. So i pushed it a little to hard and the button popped off. How can i fix this... Should i unscrew the bottom of the laptop and try to fix the switch? I'm def not sending it back out again to wait another 3 months.

Computer itself is a gateway t series laptop.

A:Tiny slide switch button on the left hand side of my girls laptop is stuck?

Joe, it would help to have the model number of this Gateway T Series.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/tiny-slide-switch-button-on-the-left-hand-side-of-my-girls-laptop-is-stuck.155371/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hey,

so our company just bought a used netGear 48 Port GSM7352S. We got the device to boot, and got in through Putty to view the device, but the user and password were not reset to factory settings and so the old users password and user are still in use. Is there a way we can reset the device or get around this?

Thanks,

Stensland

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/netgaer-48-port-switch-gsm7352s-cannot-connect-through-serial.154463/
Relevancy 27.09%

I knew something would happen my stopped working 22" Switch LCD has in Viewsonic the second I Switch in my Viewsonic 22" LCD has stopped working started considering replacing them LOL It started playing up yesterday when I went to turn it off as was using the other Switch in my Viewsonic 22" LCD has stopped working screen to play Crysis I went to turn it back on once I was done playing and it wouldnt turn on After much messing around pressing the power button it finally turned on I then made the mistake or more my routine of switching them both off along with the PC before I went to bed last night It now won t turn on at all I don t think its the internal psu I m certain its the button itself So my question is how difficult would it be to locate the power switch and would it be replaceable or is it a soldered in job Warranty expired months ago and this was a replacement unit under warranty as well though it was reconditioned and an older generation of my model number Can it be replaced then Fingers crossed nbsp

A:Switch in my Viewsonic 22" LCD has stopped working

A bit of an update on this.

I've stripped the LCD now, as its not under warranty any more, and the switch contact for the on/off switch on the circuit is knackered. It has a totally different feel to it.

Been searching on and off for a couple of days now - Since I have the part number.

I'm now coming to the realisation that Viewsonic play their cards very close to their chests - You can't find anything related to Viewsonic in regards to parts suppliers here or in the US - Its a tad weird to be honest!

I'm getting used to being down to one screen now though, so I think I'm just going to wait and then purchase a bigger LCD later on. Besides which, my newest LCD is a 4th generation version, and the faulty LCD is 2nd generation. The plastic surround is bigger on the earlier model, and the backround colour is also different (the newer 4th gen has a whitter backround), so at times they can look slightly odd, which has irritated me for ages.

Oh well, something else to add to my list I suppose!

Thanks to everyone that took the time to read this thread though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switch-in-my-viewsonic-22-lcd-has-stopped-working.151833/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi everyone,
Some friends and I will be hosting a LAN party in the future and will require an internet connection.

Unfortunately the places we can host them at only provide Wi-Fi.

We want to run everyone through Gigabit Switches.

Is it possible to set up a computer to receive the Wi-Fi, and re-broadcast the Internet to all computers connected to the Gigabit Switches?

If so, any information you can provide on setting this up would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Set up computer as a router/switch

N-Guy said:

Hi everyone,
Unfortunately the places we can host them at only provide Wi-Fi.

We want to run everyone through Gigabit Switches.Click to expand...

The WiFi connection will be the limiting factor, so the Gig/Switches are overkill and will not contribute thruput bandwidth.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/set-up-computer-as-a-router-switch.151891/
Relevancy 21.5%

Explanation:

Ok so I work in a small office and I have a networked printer that takes user numbers for passwords to print. This way we can keep track of print jobs and charge the employees accordingly. This user # is setup thru printer preferences. Normally only one user # is required for each computer as each employee has their own computer. Well there are two open computers at my office that anyone can use, these two have their own user #'s.

Question:

What i'd like to do is set it up so these open computers prompt for a user number before being able to print instead of having a user # saved under the preferences. Is this possible?

Relevant information:

Computers - Windows Xp Pro sp3
Server - Windows server 2003
Printer - Sharp Mx-6200N

Thank for any help regarding this situation.

A:Prompting for user # on a network printer

hmm; this is a commercial Charge Back process. Home users would hardly ever need or want
something like this.
I would think you would find such options in the software you are using to capture the user#,
likely on your Domain Controller ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prompting-for-user-on-a-network-printer.150482/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi.

I'm looking for a switch that has 10+ ports and has DHCP.
I need one for a LAN party. DHCP seems to need little configuration, so its sort of like plug and play. What switch do you recommend that meet my criteria?
Also, is there anything specific I need to know about setting up properly?

Thanks.

A:10+ port switch with DHCP?

You can pickup a 16-port gig switch or fast (100mbps) and then put all those boxes on static IP and the default gateway can be the lead PC. This way you don't need DHCP if your just doing a LAN Party and not a WAN to LAN Party. If you're doing WAN to LAN party then pickup a Wireless N/Gig Router and connect that into 16-port gig switch. Leave the IP address set to Obtain and then you would be good to go.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/10-port-switch-with-dhcp.147801/
Relevancy 27.52%

im planning to upgrade my home network, please try to suggest if this works:

D-link DI 524 router
PC1-Win 7 ultimate- gigabit network card
PC2-Win 7 home - 100mb network card
D-Link DGS-1005D 5port switch - gigabit
NAS Synology 110j - gigabit

cables -
CAT6 between PC1 and switch, NAS and switch, router and switch

CAT5 between PC2 and router.

The question is- will my ftp server built in the NAS will be able to communicate and send files at "gigabit". I know there will be a loss of speed, but I want to make sure that it wont slow down on 100mb because of the router...
thanks

A:NAS Synology+switch+router

Hope you're using a gig switch somewhere

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nas-synology-switch-router.147350/
Relevancy 27.09%

HI All,
You have to love to answer the newbie silly questions?

I wasn't sure which thread to post,

My emachines power supply.model bestec model atx-250-12e went out.
All info I read in reference to,
my motherboard most likely went with it.....

Why purchase power supply not knowing how to check if motherboard bad?

My question is, one drive on my emachine with most all of my important info
Can I take out and add/switch it to a HP or Dell pc?

Do I have to delete windows os etc from HP or Dell before replacing
Or is it even compatible or possible, or would it be best to just buy used emachine of the same?

When looking on ebay there are very few emachines.....but all kinds of dell and hp
deals.

Any links to or info greatly appreciated, I have searched and read too many hours.

Thanks everyone.....

A:Can I remove a drive from eMachine add/switch to HP or Dell?

Typically of that model, the motherboard failed, and took the power supply with it. It is commonly assumed the reverse occurs. We have tested 700 of these machines in preparation for suit against Mfg.

The hard drive and memory are good, as is the CPU and fan...

You can rescue the data on that hard drive by putting it in an expernal USB enclosure and copying it to another drive.
However you will find it difficult to use it as is in another system.
I would save the data to another drive or to a couple of DVD's, then reformat the drive using a Windows XP that is NOT from an eMachine install. Some eMachine disks works, mysteriouslyl, but not many.

Better, methinks, is to use a new system, then install the eMachines hard drive as a "Slave" drive, then copy over everything you need.

The eMachine models that used that Bestec power supply are mostly four years old, or more. That means the hard drive is also older than you would want to have in a news sytem.
A new hard drive from 160GB to 320 GB can be purchased new for $50 if you shop around. That is cheaper than messing with what you have.
You can buy a new motherboard for the eMachine case for $40, and use all the components, but the eMachines install disk likely will not work to install your new system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-remove-a-drive-from-emachine-add-switch-to-hp-or-dell.147211/
Relevancy 27.09%

Tower pc connected to my tv Laptop connected to a CRT monitor but no outputs for any other display options and the display on the laptop is bad only see part of it so I set the display to just display the monitor and not the laptop screen connected with a mouse and my WD TB HD Question here is the tower takes up alot of power and my dad wants the tower to be off at some time this help KVM with up me switch, please, inside setting further explanation during the day KVM switch, help me with setting this up please, further explanation inside so I use the laptop to do my downloading and keep it on all night instead and use the tower which is connected to my TV to watch my movies tv shows I want my laptop and pc connected together so I just use one mouse and the one keyboard what is a good affordable KVM switch Also is there a way to also since the laptop only has a pin and once it is connected to a KVM switch to watch my movies tv on the tv with the pc tower off nbsp

A:KVM switch, help me with setting this up please, further explanation inside

Also I run a wireless mouse, usb and a keyboard that still uses whatever you call that plug but it is not USB.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kvm-switch-help-me-with-setting-this-up-please-further-explanation-inside.146594/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello everyone, we have T1 connection at work and T1 connected to netgear router. The netgear router is very old and all of our workstation are running slow. So we decided to upgrade the router to Switch..i am looking for either layer 2 or layer 3 switch...i would like to have good one with plug and play. Please help..thanks in advance.

A:Need Advise on Switch

FIRST; ensure you know where the DHCP service originates. If it is in the existing
router, you will need another router, not a switch.

The 2/3 layer features are nice to have and very useful for protecting back-end system,
eg; a infrastructure webserver for only known customers. The two and three layer capabilities
can protect the applications from maligned inputs deep within the data flow of the application(s).

Q? What are you attempting to do other than replace the old router?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advise-on-switch.146816/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello I am moving my small business into a new office in a few days and could do with some advice on configuring the network There are Router, - Office Network Small Modem, Switch RJ connections in every room which is cool these all feed into a -port patch panel which the last guys left behind Every PC on the network needs to be able to access the internet our storage server and other network attached devices such as printers and faxes Q If our modem goes into a router and the router goes Small Office Network - Modem, Router, Switch into a switch box and all PCs and other devices including the storage server are patched into the switch box will Small Office Network - Modem, Router, Switch this work We will be using one dedicated IP and I believe that if the modem goes straight into the switch box each PC will unsuccessfully compete for that same IP So does Small Office Network - Modem, Router, Switch going through a router alleviate this Q Do patch panels have speed limitations Despite being entirely passive is it possible that the patch panel might only be Mbit I haven t bought the switch box yet so would like to know if there s any point going for Gbit over Mbit Couldn t see a model number on it unfortunately Thanks in advance Will nbsp

A:Small Office Network - Modem, Router, Switch

edanfalls said:

Hello,

I am moving my small business into a new office in a few days and could do with some advice on configuring the network.

There are RJ45 connections in every room which is cool, these all feed into a 48-port patch panel which the last guys left behind.

Every PC on the network needs to be able to access the internet, our storage server and other network attached devices such as printers and faxes.

Q1). If our modem goes into a router, and the router goes into a switch box, and all PCs and other devices including the storage server are patched into the switch box, will this work? We will be using one dedicated IP, and I believe that if the modem goes straight into the switch box, each PC will unsuccessfully compete for that same IP. So does going through a router alleviate this?Click to expand...

you are correct on both points. the issue is where does the DHCP service originate {the router or a Domain Controller[*]}?

Q2). Do patch panels have speed limitations? Despite being entirely passive, is it possible that the patch panel might only be 100Mbit? I haven't bought the switch box yet, so would like to know if there's any point going for 1Gbit over 100Mbit. Couldn't see a model number on it unfortunately.Click to expand...

No, the panel is entirely passive and therefore invisible to the network. Active components, eg routers & switches could be factors.
You are at that point of an investment and cudos to you for asking before diving in :wave:

This is the time to create a Gigabyte backbone and use 100mb client access to it (not GBit). This will ensure the whole network gets good service an not single client can dominate it. The sole exception I would make is to use a GB nic in every server system attached.

[*] Instead of using the router to provide DHCP, a better choice is the Domain Controller server (provided you use one ). You can then configure static addresses from one location and set the DHCP range in the same place. DHCP and DNS typically are from the same server, while Exchange and Active Directory are elsewhere.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/small-office-network-modem-router-switch.146650/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi
My trusty Digimate monitor is giving me problems on switch on, I have to keep switching it on and off repeatedly and screen flashes on and then just goes black. Eventually it comes on perfectly. Any thoughts as what could cause this? I have tried leaving it on (the green light stays on) to see if it is a "warm up" problem, but there is no logic to it at all, now and again it will come on and stay within the first 3 switch ons, most of the time it can take up to 20. I will switch my pc on and then just switch my monitor off when leaving it for a while, but now do not like doing this.
DG

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/digimate-l1916-problem-with-switch-on.145817/
Relevancy 27.09%

I m connecting ethernet switch via printer Problem having a problem connecting my Nashutec printer photcopier to my computer All was well until I changed to Talk Talk and went wireless for my internet connection Previously I connected to the internet via an adsl modem card in my pc but I took this card out and have a wireless connection to a Dlink wireless router This works OK However Problem connecting printer via ethernet switch to install the modem on the pc I had to use an ethernet cable to connect first time I have only one ethernet plug in the pc connecting to the Intel Pro connection After the router was set up and I plugged the cable back in for the printer I couldn t connect to it I get a message saying limited or no connectivity When I click repair it says it can t because it can t find the IP address I m running XP SP Pentium R GHz processor with MB ram The autoconfig IP adress I get for the network connection is The lights are on the Ethernet switch box and the cables seem to be OK as the lights flash at both ends has anybody got any suggestions as to how I can get my connection back Thanks nbsp

A:Problem connecting printer via ethernet switch

Which modem did you get?
Talk Talk's help page is here:
http://broadband.talktalk.co.uk/help/questions/TEC_01_26

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-connecting-printer-via-ethernet-switch.144615/
Relevancy 21.5%

What software to use, user friendly. Take *.avi movie covert and burn it so it will play on a dvd with a splash screen (menu) title to play movie and title(2) to include a small video clip of myself including a a message.

Was trying to use DeVeDe but I am having trouble with title 2 being authoritative with my video and both titles go straight to the movie. DeveDe is for Ubuntu but let me know of software for ubuntu or windows xp

A:User friendly video to dvd with menu

Rather use a windows xp app anyways and I am sure, much more. ubuntu machine not as powerful for decoding videos, or this devede program, audio came out of sync and still had the title allocation issue. I really want to get my video message in the dvd menu.

thanks !

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-friendly-video-to-dvd-with-menu.143608/
Relevancy 27.52%

My aopen 5port switch recently refuses to let me have two devices connected to the internet at the same time. My computer will connect but my ps3 wont, and the only way i can get the other to work is to only plug that "one" in and reset the modem. Anyone know how i can fix this? Im using rogers im not sure if they give you 1 or more ip adresses

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/aopen-switch-problem.142844/
Relevancy 27.09%

hi , i have had this custom built PC for a few months now, i recently upgraded to 64 bit windows 7 to accompany my 6gb of ram, however a few days later my computer was randomly restarting , particulary when i have games loaded up. I checked the whole computer for over heating and the only piece i found was hot was the network controll chipset, everything else was not hot whatsoever, after searching windows update i found a driver update for the chipset and i installed it which stopped the random shutdowns , however i now experience really high ping spikes for a minute or so and my wireless adaptor for my mode m no longer seems to process the internet connection so i have to connect the modem straight into the computer to get any internet. PLease help me out here , i also checked core temperatures on the bios at loadup and they were perfectly fine.

A:Random Switch Off's and High Ping

you need to verify that the games are 64bit compatible ---

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/random-switch-offs-and-high-ping.142785/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all,

Well the message was not clear, but here is the problem I am having.

I own a Acer Aspire 5920G and I accidentally spilled water onto it, was not a lot and thankfully my laptop lived. However, there is only one slight problem. My Keyboard is malfunctioning, as it is typing random stuff and doing random things. Not like a backdoor. It goes like "eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxffffggggghhhhh" it somtimes backspaces and does random inputs. I don't know what's going on and I hope someone here can help me solve this problem.

*Note I think it's a problem within the computer because the keys are not sticky and I can still type but not with all the kets.*

A:Help! Keyboard Inputting into Laptop without User!

Hi

laptop keyboards are delicate at the best of times, any liquid spilt into it will dry and cause this issue,

you can use an external keyboard and see if it does this, you will have to remove the keyboard from the laptop, this is usually done by removing some screws and then undoing the ribbon connector from the board, or by unclipping the keyboard from the housing and disconnecting the ribbon cable.

keyboard go for about 15 on ebay dependant on who is selling it, dont try and repair it you will be wasting your time.

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-keyboard-inputting-into-laptop-without-user.142568/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all,

Well the message was not clear, but here is the problem I am having.

I own a Acer Aspire 5920G and I accidentally spilled water onto it, was not a lot and thankfully my laptop lived. However, there is only one slight problem. My Keyboard is malfunctioning, as it is typing random stuff and doing random things. Not like a backdoor. It goes like "eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxffffggggghhhhh" it somtimes backspaces and does random inputs. I don't know what's going on and I hope someone here can help me solve this problem.

*Note I think it's a problem within the computer because the keys are not sticky and I can still type but not with all the kets.*

A:Help! Keyboard Inputting into Laptop without User!

Probably your notebook's keyboard shorted out when you spilled water on it.

I would advise you to leave your notebook alone for few days to dry out completely and see if the shorting sorts itself out. Otherwise, you may end up having to replace the keyboard; for which you'll be better off consulting an technician.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-keyboard-inputting-into-laptop-without-user.142569/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi,
I have recently moved into an apartment which has broadband pre installed. Basically what i want to do is use my router so that i will have wifi throughout the house. I am wondering how i should configure my router.

The plug in the wall is an rj45 so i have an rj11 cable running from that to the dsl input of the router. My laptop sees the router fine but it wont connect to the net. I believe it is a configuration issue with the router (which is an netopia 3347wg).

I am lost tbh, and its quite hard to explain in a post. I can try and explain further if ye dont get me .

regards,
Dan.

A:Adding a router behind a switch

Hi
on the assumption that the socket in the wall is fed from a communal router, then to
go wireless you need a wireless access point, this is like a standard hub but has wireless capability.

have a look in your router config page and see if there is anything about "wireless bridging" if there is then this will work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-a-router-behind-a-switch.137950/
Relevancy 26.66%

Can somebody please help me I upgraded my wireless card to an quot Intel Wifi Link quot Wireless ABGN mini pci-e card I was able to successfully get all of the drivers installed and hardware recognized However according to the Intel Proset Wireless won't Satellite wireless switch enable a215 Toshiba Manager it states that I need to turn on the physical hardware switch The problem is with the new card in place switching the on off button Toshiba Satellite a215 wireless switch won't enable doesn t change the status or turn on the LED light I found in these forums that for the mini pci not Toshiba Satellite a215 wireless switch won't enable the mini pci-e cards you can actually cover up pins and to make it work I can t seem to find any information on the pci-e card Additional information Several people have suggested to install the model specific Wireless configuration utility that may be able to turn the hardware switch on For the Toshiba I installed Configfree but it won t turn the switch or LED on All device drivers are installed and working properly For this Toshiba model there is no wireless enable disable found in the BIOS either I m hoping that there are certain Toshiba Satellite a215 wireless switch won't enable pins that can be covered in the pci-e card to override the default hardware switch Hopefully somebody out there will know Thanks nbsp

A:Toshiba Satellite a215 wireless switch won't enable

Borrow a good book on Wireless networks... You are missing a few things on how such devices work, and a full understanding will help you a lot from here on out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-satellite-a215-wireless-switch-wont-enable.138572/
Relevancy 27.52%

After switching my monitors cable from vga to dvi I can no longer power my monitor off without having to restart my computer,after I power it off I get a no monitor detected message but when i restart the comp everything's fine again.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switch-to-dvi-causing-problems.138551/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have installed a wireless card on a Compaq Presario 2200 laptop and tested it out with an antenna from a Toshiba A100 and an HP V6000 to no avail. (No networks found).

It also shows 'check to make sure the wireless switch is on'. This laptop has only got a plastic cover over where the switch would normally be, so is there any way to get the machine to use the new wireless without having to find a little switch for it?

Cheers

Blair

A:Installing wireless on a machine with no wireless switch

You need to use a USB wireless adapter with the proper software installed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-wireless-on-a-machine-with-no-wireless-switch.138105/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello everyone! I have a linksys sr2024c 24 port switch that doesn't seem to be working.Windows says that I'm connected but I can't get on the internet.I tried plugging in to all 24 ports and all have the same results.I tried restarting but no luck.I was gonna reset it but it does not have a reset button.Can somebody please help! Thanks

A:Linksys switch not working

How is the switch connected to the Internet? Cable or DSL modem and router?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linksys-switch-not-working.136924/
Relevancy 27.52%

I am in Switzerland and have a UK Dell laptop. It has been working fine with a EU plug adaptor on the UK plug. Now when I try to turn on the power on my laptop, it will not fire up. I get a red light come one showing the battery indicator. What does this red light mean? If I hold down the power on button for 3 - 5 seconds, the red light still comes on together with a blue light on the power button but still nothing comes up on the screen. What does the lights mean? I do not know what is going on here. Please help! Thanks very much.

A:Dell laptop will not switch on

It is possible that it is not getting power from the plug, and the battery is run down.
Tell us what model of Dell, the configuration, and perhaps the perhaps the service tag number, as well as the age of the hard drive and screen.
But from what you describe, it is either not attempting to boot, or it is booting but there is nothing on the screen.

With the unit off, and the power adapter plugged in, see if you can feel any looseness at the power socket. Sometimes that socket comes loose and will not accept power.
Hold down the power battery for 15 to 20 seconds without letting up. That will clear the unit thoroughly.
When you attempt to reboot, listen in a quiet environment. We would like to know if you detect any noise typical of the hard drive booting up.
Then let us know if there is still a dark screen.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-laptop-will-not-switch-on.135058/
Relevancy 27.09%

The power switch on my Dell E hasn t worked for awhile now Everytime I wanted to start it up I would have to open it up and use a paper clip to connect two wires switch E510 Dell power issue together Dell E510 power switch issue in the pin connector This would power up the psu the fans would spin loud and then I Dell E510 power switch issue could press the power button to turn my computer on the fans would slow down and spin at a normal pace this is how I knew it turned on The monitor would also show start Dell E510 power switch issue up screen This worked fine for awhile The other day I had it on when I left and when I came back it was powered off I tried to use the paper clip trick to get it started again only this time the psu wouldn t even power on Everything appeared to look normal and in place I figure the psu is dead so I order a new one I get it and install it everything is hooked up to where it should be When I use the paper clip the psu powers up like it normally should but when I click the power button on my cpu nothing happens the fans don t slow down and the monitor shows no activity My dvd drive will open and close my processor turns on The mobo light is green All the cords are connected and nothing appears to be lose When I use the paper clip trick when I first contact the wires the lights on the front of my cpu light up for less than a second and then disappear I checked the numbers with dell diagnostics and the combo isn t even listed Is this a mobo problem Is there a way to jumpstart my cpu to actually turn on without using power button Any help would be appreciated nbsp

A:Dell E510 power switch issue

You would have been much better off if you spent a few bucks and bought a momentarily closed mini-pushbutton switch, and mounted on the case front, using the original Dell switch wires. It is possible that the motherboard is now damaged from all the shorting over time

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-e510-power-switch-issue.134785/
Relevancy 21.07%

A user has been using her laptop for several years and uses Outlook for her POP3 email.
When we installed a server and joined her laptop to the domain she was unable to see her email without logging out of the server and logging back into her local account.
How do I let her domain profile be the same as her local profile?

A:User loses access to outlook email after being joined to domain

You can't, it's considered as a different user. Just take the settings from Outlook and import them into the other account name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-loses-access-to-outlook-email-after-being-joined-to-domain.134427/
Relevancy 21.5%

Ive got an Acer 7250g and it was working fine until today.When i turn it on i get "User profile service failed the logon" i cant sign in or do anything-help please.

A:User profile service failed the logon

Welcome to Techspot
If you haven't already done so, this may be a grat place to start and get the 'feel' of this forum,
http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu31.html
The following link may help solve your login problem,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profile-service-failed-the-logon.133880/
Relevancy 27.09%

Can anyone help I have a packard bell laptop which is about years old Never had any trouble with it before Recently bell on laptop Packard switch wont my anti virus exspired so I downloaded the free AVG day trial Once that exspired I downloaded the free version of AVG Still downloading that my laptop Packard bell laptop wont switch on started to run slow and Packard bell laptop wont switch on took forever to start up as the shortcuts didnt appear for a long time Then while online my laptop screen went white and froze I took the battery out and then tried switching the laptop back on but now the power button flashes then knocks off then flashes and keeps on doing so while the screen stays black But I can hear the fan come on everytime the power button flashes blue When I do manage to get it on it works for no longer than minutes before freezing and resulting in me waiting for the battery to die or remove the battery Could this just be a virus or something major wrong Any help appreciated nbsp

A:Packard bell laptop wont switch on

Could be that your hard drive has gone bad.
Can you boot in <SAFE MODE> which will give you a low resolution screen, but bypasses other components. You depress the <F8> key repeatedly once per second until it boots or freezes. You have to get it working in order to perform various diagnoses, and Safe Mode is a good way to do some of that, but it does disable a lot of normal features.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/packard-bell-laptop-wont-switch-on.132118/
Relevancy 21.07%

Our school is moving from a Workgroup setup to a Domain (Active Directory.) I'm having a problem though. When I set up new users all of their local settings disappear. So now I'm looking for an easy way to migrate User Profiles from the Local User to the new active directory user. I know microsoft has the Active Directory Migration Tool but is that truly the BEST way to do it?? The guide is like 100000 pages long so I'm not even sure if I want to go that route. Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/migrating-from-workgroup-to-domain-user-profile-migration.131944/
Relevancy 27.52%

I have an emachines T5062 you push the power button the on/off switch lights flicker and the num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock flicker. the cpu fan and the psu fan works but nothing else. any suggestions

A:On/off switch lights flickering

The power supply or motherboard has failed... Try replacing the power supply first

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/on-off-switch-lights-flickering.129869/
Relevancy 21.93%

hi all i'm new here so be patient and gentle pls.

my question is can i read a report or log file that will tell me how long users have been logged into my server. i run sbs2003 and have some users on remote access via vpn, does the monitoring on the system allow me to view log in times for each user and how long they are logged in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-user-log-in-times.129887/
Relevancy 26.23%

Can someone give me some advice on how to set up a basic network using two 2600 routers and a 2900 Cisco switch ? Not as far as commands but do I need to use NAT ? I have Comcast as my ISP. Please help me !

A:Setting up a basic home network with 2 Cisco 2600 Routers and switch

we always need nat.

Most of the time the connections look like
Code:

modem----router --- other devices and/or switchs --- still more devices
There are a FEW cases where the modem needs to be set to BRIDGE mode, but
don't go there unless it all fails.

Keep it simple to start with [ modem---router---one system]

see this for testing your ISP connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-a-basic-home-network-with-2-cisco-2600-routers-and-switch.128589/
Relevancy 27.52%

I came home from a trip and tried to turn on my desktops... both of them. My wife computer is a Gateway GT5408 and mine is a Gateway GT5654... neither will power-up... went out and bought one PSU... installed it and still no power... All cables are connected and I get absolutely nothing.. can you help.

A:No Power Up When Switch Is Pushed

Are they plugged into a surge protector? If not you could have had lightning while you were gone and if both computers were plugged into the wall outlet directly the lightning or power surge could have fried the motherboard. I have had it happen but only the PSU was cooked.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-up-when-switch-is-pushed.128123/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey eveyone. I have a Microsoft MX5000 bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo. Will this work with a KVM switch to controll another computer? I have never used one a wireless/bluetooth mouse keyboard before. Thanks.

A:KVM Switch and Bluetooth Mouse Keyboard

Hi

as its blue tooth connection i would have thought that the PC would load drivers to use it, the KVM switch wont be able to load the drivers needed and as such i would think it wouldnt work.

I may be wrong though...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kvm-switch-and-bluetooth-mouse-keyboard.127214/
Relevancy 27.95%

I m getting back into music production and was given the ultimate P O S Dell Dimension Being that it was a gift I tried to work with it Once I installed my Fl Studio Reason Adobe Audition and various plugins and sound libraries she started to drag The latency is kinda jacked up and when I import certain tracks to my DAW the CPU meter goes up and I get the quot stuttering quot affect I was told this was due to the program and I would have to get a better processor In order to fully complete my songs I need to be able to mix and master the instrumentals and it s impossible with the stuttering Also I need Fire Wire to be able to hook up an Audio Interface to If I can t do that I need a better sound card so I can get accurate response from the bass and so forth Can I install something like the M-Audio Revolution sound card Someone told me I needed at least Ghz Gb HDD Gb Ram x x CD DVD burner I have the thing completely torn down for cleaning so before I put it back together I would like some input Remember this is for music production the above specs were advise for use with music production and PC, Mac to buy Upgrade, switch or new above all sound accuracy from the programs is my number one concern I m a married father of so money is my biggest issue If I was doing the single I d have the MacPro by now Upgrade buy new Upgrade, buy new PC, or switch to Mac PC or switch to Mac nbsp

A:Upgrade, buy new PC, or switch to Mac

i wouldnt waste money on that computer for upgrades instead look at a new pc a $500 pc that you could build would be way better than the setup you have now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-buy-new-pc-or-switch-to-mac.127153/
Relevancy 27.95%

I have two dell laptops They are both inspions one is an the other is a The has a pentium processor and the has a celeron what i am trying to do is swap processor but the pins are different the pentium Processor switch has one extra pin in the corner that will not allow it to seat in the mobo of the My question is Is that pin absolutely necessary or is it just a locater pin I m sorry I dont have a scanner or camera to give i visual of witch pin I am talking about but I am hoping that someone will allready know now this is for all the people who want to ask me quot why quot instead of just answering my question i want switch processors because the has numerous other problems and Processor switch it will be Processor switch simpler to just swap processors Well so I thought I am also aware of the s tendancy to overheat I am running i k fangui witch helps tremendously So this is a risk I am willing to take Thanks in advance well i found some pics but for some reason it says i must have posts to put an image in my post since i dont have more problems we get no images of these processors this is a pretty rediculous requirement quot In my opninon quot nbsp

A:Processor switch

If the processor doesn't fit, you can't swap it. You can't cut the extra pin off. You will trash the CPU. These are "moble" versions of the PC processors

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/processor-switch.125944/
Relevancy 27.52%

I recently thought that the motherboard in my machine had died. No power on light on the front panel, motherboard power light WAS on, nothing showing on monitor except a flashing ready light, hard drive not powering up or spinning, no activity of any kind.
Replaced motherboard with an exact make and model #.When attempting to boot the machine now, the power light on the PSU doesn't light.Whan the power switch is pressed, the PSU comes on for 1-2 seconds then goes off.Does the same thing when pins 14 and 15 are jumped over.
Tried a known good PSU from another machine. It passed the pin jumper test.
Once connected to the machine, it does the same on/off thing like the original.
Suggestions anyone? All welcome.
Also tried resetting the CMOS,just in case.

A:Power supply or switch

Make sure the motherboard is not shorting to the case. Try assembling the computer outside the case and see if it boots

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-or-switch.125319/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi You guys helped me so much with another problem birthday present for son hoping you can help again Temporarily my mom has hooked up her computer in our house but didn t have a monitor so used our flat panel from our Dimension We ended up using HERS not a flat panel but a newer dell and tonight I switched them back Now our my son s Dell flat panel which is supposed to be a plug and play PLANAR will not register The system is using the default VGA and all the text is too big doesn t give any other display options but now Play switch, Help... Monitor & Plug work? won't bit I tried turning the computer off for about a half hour and restarting then unplugging the monitor turning the pc on and plugging the monitor in after the pc was started hoping to see the quot new hardware found quot msg but nothing Why won t it detect the right settings automatically I recently also reloaded the entire system from the original boot cd again since it was really congested Help anyone nbsp Help... Monitor switch, now Plug & Play won't work?

A:Help... Monitor switch, now Plug & Play won't work?

Make sure you have the correct drivers, or plug it into the other vga adapter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-monitor-switch-now-plug-play-wont-work.39343/
Relevancy 27.09%

I bought a INTEL G S FSB DDR MOTHERBOARD OEM to stick in a Dell case as the motherboard went bad I do some searching to find the manual and such only to find out its a Emachines board Didn t like that fact but thought oh well its a cheap board Problem I m having is that it powers on by its self without any atx power switch connected I have tried a different power supplys and same results If I shut the system down by using windows shutdown then it wont start unless I unplug the power supply and wait a minute It briefly starts and stops about seconds later it powers up completely There are no cards installed in the system yet I went into the bios and made sure everything was set correctly Thinking its a bad Motherboard I have never seen a board power itself on with out the atx power switches hooked up with ATX switch powers up connected Computer out to the Computer powers up with out ATX switch connected motherboard So it can t be a case switch as they are not hooked up Any help would be great nbsp

A:Computer powers up with out ATX switch connected

Dell front panels are usually proprietary, it's likely that it isn't working correctly due to incorrect pin to plug pairing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-powers-up-with-out-atx-switch-connected.125150/
Relevancy 27.09%

ok, here's the deal

standard network;
each pc has a wallplate with 2 x rj45 sockets, one connects to the pc to allow network/internet access, all standard stuff really.
The other is required for voice, whereby the pc user just plugs their phone into it and it works, enough said.
Now the comms rack has just a 24-port data switch at present and the telephony people have just installed a live phone line and thats it.
So, what is needed to allow the 2nd rj45 port to be used for telephony (apart from phone handsets ?)
A voice panel of some sort? some kind of convertor?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks

A:Adding telephony to a data switch

rj 45 is not used for telephony except through voip. You will need to establish a voip service. skype, vonage, etc....

if you want standward telephony, you will need to use an rj-11 port with a telephone and a program that allows usage of the rj-11 port.

a voip setup is easier.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-telephony-to-a-data-switch.122306/
Relevancy 27.09%

PC & Burning Case Power Switch smell PC Problem Hi I recently built a new PC for a family member but I have one problem the old motherboard fried due to a power surge couple of days back I refitted a new motherboard but am having problems with the Case Power Switch I know where is goes on the motherboard but not which way I know which is plus and minus on the motherboard but can identify which PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell is which on the wire at the back of the wire it has a small arrow on one side and nothing on the other Normally I have a sheet which identifies the plus and minus that come with the case PC Problem On another PC which I have built for someone else I could smell burning and I can t identify what is wrong I have built a few PC s but first time this has happened could it just be because its a new motherboard Thanks in Advance nbsp

A:PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell

Case power switches, reset switches have no polarity needs. Plug them in anyway you want. Burning smells coming from computers is never a "normal" or good thing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-case-power-switch-burning-smell.119443/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi

I don't know much about networking so if you can give me some tips and maybe some links to articles I can read, I'll be very happy

The switch is to be used for LAN gaming and I was thinking 32 or 16 ports depending on the cost (I am thinking quality over quantity).

Large files will be shared across the network so I was thinking gigabit, but apparently 10/100/1000 MBIT is pretty expensive?

Is it better to have one big switch than a few smaller ones performance vise?

What should I be aware of when it is to be used for gaming and filesharing (filesharing being secondary but still important)
I am prepared to read a lot so please write me some links or keywords I should google
Edit: What I really want to know is how to tell the "good deals" apart from the "cheap crap"
Thank you very much

Hawkeyed

A:Need help choosing a network switch

You should start by grouping what needs to be networked together in the first place. Drawing it out saves a LOT of trouble and pain in figuring out things once you start.

I'll start out with the fact that if you have systems that are sharing data between them, and systems that aren't, its a good idea to keep them apart. Therefore multiple smaller switches are what you should be aiming for. You want a router to deal with routing, that keeps a decent workload off your switches. Connect your router to your modem, and then connect your switches to the router LAN ports. Every switch you connect should be on its first or last LAN port, not the WAN port or you will have to do a lot more configuration to get it working. Connect the computers that do LAN gaming to the same switch, then the computers doing filesharing on another switch. This will shift the traffic workload to your switches, and only go up to the router when you need to get something off the internet or another switch. This also works in the manner that you can use a gigabit switch for what you need it for (really thats only computer to computer file transfers, no home internet connection uses up a 100m/bit connection, and gaming does not justify a need for gigabit transfer rates).

You can also chain the switches if you want to, and if thats the case keep your LAN gaming switch at the bottom of the chain so its traffic stays there.

Two things that would be helpful in further advice are 1: the actual number of systems you want to network and 2: if the systems are doing just gaming or filesharing, or both. What I've suggested above is rather useless if both is the case.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-choosing-a-network-switch.119140/
Relevancy 27.95%

If I copy all my windows files from my raptor to my ssd can the ssd be set as boot device and work properly?

A:Raptor to SSD OS switch over

You would be better off copying the partition to the new drive and expanding/contracting it as needed. Either way though, its a risk because Windows has the ability to de-activate itself if it suddenly boots with different drives, Vista in particular but XP isn't an exception. Not to mention if the copy chokes at some point Windows system files or the registry can get messed up rendering your OS unbootable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/raptor-to-ssd-os-switch-over.119145/
Relevancy 21.93%

I've had a couple of complaints from a user where I work who cannot login wirelessly using their laptop. They can however logon fine if they plugin an ethernet cable. Once they have logged in, they can use the wireless connection just fine.

What might cause this? I'm struggling to troubleshoot it.

Thanks

A:User cannot logon wirelessly

You must be in a Domain/Networked login environment as WiFi vs wired networking is not germane to user login otherwise.

I think you're in a catch-22; you need the network to login but need login to access the network.

Fix the GPO policy for WiFi users to allow local login to the machine.
This will give the ability to then MAP drives to the infrastructure using the WiFi connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-cannot-logon-wirelessly.116860/
Relevancy 27.09%

Friends- I have a Dell laptop with XP and I have a new Toshiba laptop with Vista. The Toshiba is brand new and the Dell is my laptop for work. Can I simply pull the Sata drive out of the Dell and put it in the Toshiba and still have all the data there and the desktop image, VPN, etc ready to go?

A:Can I switch laptop hard drives with the OS?

Hi

NO

XP wont like being put into another type of machine and will almost certainly give you a blue screen of death.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-switch-laptop-hard-drives-with-the-os.116831/
Relevancy 26.66%

Have a y o local built white box tower that I m happy with Recently unplugged for ten days while on vacation Came back and first had a hard time getting the back switch to power up then had to use front switch reset button several times to get the entire unit to power up Since then when I power down or unplug it s very unreliable about powering back up on either switch I can tell that sometimes the power is getting through due to the light on my router and other times it s not Even if it is getting through then the front switch may have to be reset several times to actually boot Also after powering down at night via quot shut down quot on screen or using the front switch Windows XP Home then sometimes I can see the DVDRW trying to power up or see the HD trying to power up - over and over and over the receipt describes the case only as ATX PCT and the PSU as W PS for P w UL I ve installed one PSU PC power and cooling dell silencer on a Dell and confident I can do this one I ve never replaced a front switch and don t know anything about this one other than it appears to be integrated with the case Need to blow the dust out of the unit but otherwise don t know what else to do fraid to push supply or switch? front button Power shut down too many more times So do you think it s the PSU or the front switch or both that have a problem Could I have killed some y o backup battery by unplugging for days Is it a big deal finding a new Power supply or front push button switch? front switch for an old case and getting it to work A lightning strike took out my old router and ethernet card about six months ago successfully replaced is my PSU finally showing symptoms of damage Long post I know thanks nbsp

A:Power supply or front push button switch?

Replace the power supply with one 350 Watts or greater... of quality, as well as the CMOS battery.
The replacement CMOS battery is only $3.50 at Wal-Mart, and it has been enough time for that to be bad.
Switches rarely to very rarely go bad.
On a computer with that many hours, it could also be the hard drive, but the symptoms are more likely the power supply.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-or-front-push-button-switch.110952/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi and thanks for looking I am trying to devise a solution for a new VOIP amp Bloomberg installation at my small office and am looking for suggestions of what networking hardware is best to buy Any suggestions as far as setup are greatly Best for switch PoE router, Bloomberg? VOIP, appreciated too Best router, PoE switch for VOIP, Bloomberg? My contemplated setup requirements below - Dual WAN with load balancing for reliability amp to help ensure VOIP quality Comcast cable amp Embarq DSL - VPN capable min connections to installed RV s - good QoS to prioritize VOIP - VLAN to segregate VOIP - PoE for IP phones would be nice - good integrated firewall connections to the router thinking RV server Bloomberg terminal VOIP PBX WAP workgroup multifunction Xerox amp PoE switch thinking SRW Best router, PoE switch for VOIP, Bloomberg? MP IP phones would connect to PoE switch thinking SRW MP Again any thoughts suggestions different setups to provide better performance reliability security amp value greatly appreciated P S using Belkin N as current router firewall WAP would just connect as WAP unless suggested better solution out there - this all is quite a move up for us The VPN connections are for client nursing home facilities in Oklahoma and Indiana I am strongly leaning towards a TalkSwitch vs unless anyone here suggests otherwise possibly Asterisk nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-router-poe-switch-for-voip-bloomberg.115637/
Relevancy 40.42%

Am a new Networking BEE I had built a small network of 20 systems at my office and there I had connected a switch and router.

All the switch ports have been covered by all the systems and one port is given to the router
switch(20)----router(LAN)
|
|
|
HUB(8ports)

And also I connected a HUB to the switch ..

It works fine for my internet connections to all the systems but how do i make authentication of passwords and username to my network systems from one server which I use server 2003 at one system

let me know the detailed step by step procedure to build.........

I would feel very happy If at all any Suggestions for me to make my Business grow.....

As early as possible ................

Thanks in Advance

Smiles....[][]

A:Connection of Router to Switch and also a Hub to Switch - N/W systems internet share

>>I use server 2003 at one system

you need to enable Network Login, but that requires that win2003 have

a domain controller
a DHCP service
and a DNS service.
the Domain Controller is just another name for LDAP and it becomes the control point
for all systems.

get some books on Configuring Win2003 Server

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-of-router-to-switch-and-also-a-hub-to-switch-n-w-systems-internet-share.112825/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello I am in the process of Advice - Another or Router Need Switch moving some of my work computers to another building and I am in need of some networking advice all wired btw not wireless I included a picture Need Advice - Another Router or Switch in a attachment as I may not be able to paint a clear picture of what I need Here is my setup so far and what I have to work with In the main house I have the cable modem and a single router standard port Linksys From the house to the shop I have a single ft Need Advice - Another Router or Switch Cat cable straight not crossover As this cable has already been run I need to be able to make it work from it I need to hook up computers Need Advice - Another Router or Switch in the shop and I m not quite sure the way to go here From what I ve read I think I can use a router or a switch in the shop if switch it will need an uplink port because of the cable not being crossover I m wondering which is the best way to go for performance as each of the four computers will be moving a lot of data within the network and also on the internet Also at times we will be gaming there so the computers all have to be able to connect to the same server Any help is much appreciated Thank You nbsp

A:Need Advice - Another Router or Switch

Your best bet is probably an auto-sensing auto-MDI/MDI-X >4 port gigabit switch with jumbo frame support. This should be very easy to get a hold of and relatively cheap. Personally I'd get at least an 8 port just for the sake of future expansion. You'll lose one port on the switch connecting it to the 150' run but all you have to do is make sure your router has DHCP enabled so I can hand out IP addresses to your machines. You can get a decent 8-port with everything I mentioned for around $60-100.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-advice-another-router-or-switch.113983/
Relevancy 21.93%

i was wondering how to get rid of user accounts.the computer im about to get has 3 accounts hogin up the drive so i went into safe mode and change the pass cus i couldnt find how to delete them and that didnt work either.plz help and i thank you all for your previous help that i will be needing.

A:How to delete user accounts

Instructions
Click Start
Click Control Panel
In Control Panel Window click User Accounts
In the user accounts window click the account that you want to delete
Click delete the account.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-delete-user-accounts.113022/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello everyone I m here today because a couple of days ago my computer would no longer boot up as in it just would not power up It s funny because one day I shut my computer off for the night and then when I tried to turn it on the next morning it simply would not power jumping case Assistance switch on After reading various guides and forum posts on various websites I learned a few ways in which you could test to see if it was either the Assistance jumping case switch PSU Motherboard or case switch that may be causing the problem Now Assistance jumping case switch I have already successfully tested the PSU by jumping the th pin green wire and one of the ground pins black wire on the pin connector After I flipped the PSU switch my case fan started to spin letting me know my PSU wasn t the problem So my question now is how do I test to see if my case switch is causing the problem My computer expertise is on an average level and I m not sure whether my case switch connects directly to the PSU or via the mother board although I m assuming it connects to the mother board as my PC is a year old Alienware rig Any ideas Thanks Jinto nbsp

A:Assistance jumping case switch

Hi

There should be a wiring loom running from the front of the pc to the board, do a google on the motherboard and find out which connector is the power switch, it's usually next to the reset. speaker, HDD led and power led pins, once found short it out and if the mobo starts up its the case switch if not the mobo is dead.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/assistance-jumping-case-switch.110159/
Relevancy 27.52%

I need a Gigabit switch to connect another PC to the web There are many kinds out there and i m lost After looking around i found out that the minimal number of ports that comes with one is i only need but i ll have to get that one cauise i got no choice Anyway i have the Verizon FIOS service and all PCs are behind the router using a wired Help the right Gigabit find me switch connection This is the diagram of my connection as of now Internet -- D-link wireless router -- Main PC on st floor - cable to second floor RJ- wall mounted jack w port -- My PC Basically what i want to do is plug the switch into the RJ- jack to Help me find the right Gigabit switch create ports so i can hook up another PC to web in addition to the one i already have connected I need something that will support my Mbps internet connection These are the top selling switches at newegg i ve been looking at Will any of them do the trick http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Help me find the right Gigabit switch

Either Netgear would be better than the Linksys products... The more expensive Netgear switch has more security features, but you may not need these

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-me-find-the-right-gigabit-switch.109027/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hey all,

I have a Compaq Presario 7RPM11...1.3GHz P4 with 128MB RAMBUS. I rewired the power switch header when replacing the motherboard with another brand (thinking I would never use it again) and forgot to write down the original pinout.

Does anyone know the pinout of the power switch connector on the motherboard. It's labeled J981 and the cable has 189524-001 on the label.

Thanks!

A:Compaq Presario Power Switch Pin Out

what is the model of the mother board?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/compaq-presario-power-switch-pin-out.42987/
Relevancy 27.95%

I have just baught a computer case and it have a Micro Switch at each side of the doors and when you open the door it click and when you close the door it click, so my question is what does this do when you open and close the door, I have connected it to anything yet because I dont know what it does.
Thanks

A:What does a Micro Switch Do?

You can hook those up in many cases to flag case intrusion or lockdown the comp or set off an alarm or whatever.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-does-a-micro-switch-do.107705/