Windows Support Forum

External harddrive not working, burning smell, can I retrive my data or repair it?

Q: External harddrive not working, burning smell, can I retrive my data or repair it?

I have a LaCie 500gb external harddrive that I use to back up my laptop and store large files. It has its own power supply and connects to my computer by USB. The other day I plugged it into the power supply and noticed it wouldnt turn on and there was an electrical burning smell coming from the plug on the harddrive. Is it possible that it is just the plug damaged and my data is still ok? Can I remove the data from the harddrive somehow? Would it be worth trying to get someone to repair it or should I just buy a new one?

I don't know alot about this sort of thing and any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: External harddrive not working, burning smell, can I retrive my data or repair it?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: External harddrive not working, burning smell, can I retrive my data or repair it?

Yes Ur Harddisk Is Damaged Nothing will be retrive from It

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-harddrive-not-working-burning-smell-can-i-retrive-my-data-or-repair-it.130489/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi

I made a few months back a backup of my machine(windows 7 64bit edition). The size was like 25gb's so I saved it on my external hard-drive(I bought a case and put a hard drive(Seagate I think) in it).

I know want to use this to restore my computer. So I made a system repair disk and loaded it up.

However it cannot find my external hard-drive. I have "WindowsImageBackup " in my root directory of my external drive.

Yet it still does not see it. I would install some drivers but I have no clue what drives I need as when I plug it into my computer and I am in windows 7 it finds my drive.

What do I need to make window 7 recognize my image?

A:How to connect my external harddrive to be used with System Repair dis

First determine that the image vhd exists and can be mounted.

Go into Disk Management then
Action > Attach VHD > Browse to folder WindowsImageBackup
Double clicking into folder then into the folder "Backup ---------"
Select the largest .vhd if more than one
Select and choose ok to mount.

Your image should appear as a mounted version of your imaged disk. Ckeck that it looks like the imaged disk.

To detach - Right click on left "Disk n" block.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/172242-how-connect-my-external-harddrive-used-system-repair-dis.html
Relevancy 72.24%

The external hard drive that I have now is starting to malfunction. Is it possible to move the data on it to another external hard drive and do you need a computer to do it? The older hard drive has a capacity of 120 gb.

A:Moving Data from one external Harddrive to Another

Since it is external, yes you need to connect it to a computer [which in any case would be the easiest method]
If they were both internal drives, you could use a disk duplicator like this;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=hard_drive_duplicator-_-17-707-370-_-Product

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moving-data-from-one-external-harddrive-to-another.1155123/
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello folks,
My windows 7 (home premium 32bit) doesnt start anymore, my system recovery data is on external hard drive. Any idea how to access this backup?
Cheers

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/385906-access-backup-data-external-harddrive.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I was given very helpful customer service by the dynex representative. I fixed the problem of the harddrive randomly disconnecting.

There are numerous errors relating to permissions as well as the files just not showing. When I first bought to enclosure everything worked perfectly fine.

Then the files stop loading and cut off randomly. They did not load on other computers either. I bought a duplicate and similar enclosure.

The errors arrise from editing the permissions. Before take ownership worked and not it says that the file can not be found yet the harddrive says the data is there.

A:External Harddrive not accessing data. Numerous errors.

Basically I am unable to set a new owner.
The drive says my files are there hundreds of GB were taken up. Yet when I highlight all the folders it says only 2gb is there. I do not have permissions for some of the folders and when I try to change ownerships or permissions it says file not found.
I tried using admin command prompt to get the files listed and takeown could not find G: yet I can enter the drive itself.
Everything worked perfectly a while ago and I just did not really need to access the drive at the time.

Some folders I can enter but no files are present. I think only a couple of folders have actual files.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/71950-external-harddrive-not-accessing-data-numerous-errors.html
Relevancy 70.52%

So I got an external harddrive that's 320GB. My dog knocked it over and now it keeps making a ticking sound. The warranty is void so I might have to manually repair it.

This is the harddrive:
http://www.iomagic.com/Products/sho...ProdID=I320HD35

It turns on fine, but it keeps making a strange ticking sound. It isn't getting detected by the PC. I fear a component may have fallen out of place.

Can someone walk me through how to manually repair this problem? Also, some precautions I should take? I've never done this before.

A:How to Repair I/O Magic 320GB External Harddrive Ticking Sound Problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-repair-i-o-magic-320gb-external-harddrive-ticking-sound-problem.537764/
Relevancy 70.52%

I noticed a faint burning smell in my PC so I checked the temperature and it read 50C not under load. So i decided to install my Asus Probe and I keep getting this flashing and beeping sound warning me that +12V out of threshold It's at 13,696V how do I get it down to normal???

Relevancy 70.52%

Well I was installing 4 more case fans ( not attached to my fan controller) next to my video card because I was overclocking it some. After I got done I plugged everything back in and booted my computer up. All my case fans started spinning fine then all of the sudden my cathode lights flicker and I immidiately unplugged the power from the tower. I then smelled a faint burning smell and a crackling noise, kind of like a monitor when you plug it in. Will overloading a power supply fry everything or will it just not work? WHen I was picking my computer up and putting it back on my desk I think i bent one of the cathode lights (would that short it out, then in turn short out my fan controller?).

Please note that I know for a fact that it was not my video card that caused the problem.

Relevancy 70.52%

For about a year and a half I have been running a Radeon on my machine but about a month ago I switched it out for a GTX The very first time the new card was under load I began to smell what I thought at the time was burnt dust as the GTX runs pretty hot under load The smell was a bit annoying and even abrasive enough to give me Burning Odd Smell Please -Help a scratchy throat during a prolonged gaming Odd Burning Smell -Help Please session thought it was in my head Fast forward about a month and the smell has only gotten worse I ve since cleaned out my case but that didn t help The GPU does run hot and the smell seemed to be originating from it so I put my Radeon back in to check and see if that would solve the problem It didn t the smell persisted Sniffing around my machine the smell seems to be coming from my PSU which made sense as the GTX requires a bit more power than the Radeon but I was under the impression that if a PSU was burning out or failing my PC wouldn t run and it was running just fine Basically I want to know if I should replace the PSU It s an Watt ATX PSU by Cyberpower I didn t think they made their own components Could that be the source of the smell or should I try something else first At V it says it runs A which should be enough to run the GTX just fine Any suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

Hi Guys am starting to smell somthing like burning rubber not realy sure if its rubber when i on the pc there is no smell what so ever but when i run MW3 at full Graphics the smell starts so what is this smell ? is it the video card ?

A:Burning Smell

The chances are that one of the fans is burning up at high RPM. It could be the video card, heatsink, case, or even the power supply fan in that order. Isn't the smell more of an electricity related smell?

The chances of you getting burned in MW3 is discounted

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/265138-burning-smell.html
Relevancy 70.52%

hi, recently i hooked up my new 42" hdtv to my pc via hdmi cable. about 2 days after i smelled a burning smell coming from my pc.i cant exactly tell where its coming from. i would suspect the power supply or video card. i shut my pc off for a day and then started it up again. still smelled the burning smell but not as bad. did the tv make my video card use too much power or overheat it? any ideas? specs

windows7 homepremium 64bit
ultra lsp 650w p/s
xfx radeon 5750 hd 1 gb ddr3
4gb corsair ddr3 memory

A:burning smell from pc

Most likely coincidence.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell-from-pc.1082625/
Relevancy 70.52%

I smelt someting burning from the system case. While pc was on, the fan from the power supply was not turning. It is an antec power supply. The pc runs good, no sound or anything else. the power supply is new, so it's not dirty. Why is this?

Relevancy 70.52%

Burning Smell

I am running a HP a600n, Win XP Home, 512 MB Ram, AMD 2700.

Today I started to smell something that resembles buring plastic. I could smell it coming out of the back of my PC and the power cord was somewhat hot to the touch. Not too hot to touch just hotter than I thought it should be. Anyway I opened up my PC and my video card is pretty hot. It is an old card, nvida 64mb, that I have been running for about a year, after being retired for several years. Are video cards usually hot to the touch? I thought it might be my power supply but that does have an overbearing smell and it is not hot to the touch. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Am I hurting my PC by running it and is my video card the possible culprit? Thanks in advance for your help.

Relevancy 70.52%

I have an HP Media Center m7480. I use it for my music, TV, and Movie entertainment. It has been great until about a week ago. There is now a electrical "hot" smell coming from the unit located at the top rear of the machine (main power cord plugs into it as well). The system still works, it just smells hot now. I dusted and cleared some potential ventilation issues, but I am sure the damage is already done and just need to replace what is burned.

I am a beginning Computer guy and would like to fix it myself. Do I need to replace that entire upper unit or can I find the exact piece that may be getting hot and replace it.

Also, what may be the best options to keep them from heating up so much in the future (other than better cleaning and dusting practices).

A:Burning smell

If it is continuous then you need to replace power supply.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell.673356/
Relevancy 69.66%

So I burning smell laptop have a compaq presario f laptop I always use the laptop on burning laptop smell a hard desk surface without clothes or stuff like that in the way Starting about - years ago it sometimes heated so much that it would shut off in the middle of operating It still does that now I then made sure to stack some books on the table and place the laptop on it or place in on my lap to increase the heat transfer by convection Sometimes it STILL would shut off if I leave it on for burning laptop smell a few hours and run lots of programs Anyways I began noticing more recently can't remember when could be a burning laptop smell few months or a year ago that it would sometimes give off a burning smell if I run a lot of programs I was too lazy to do anything about it since other than it running slowly there weren't any serious problems But now I've finally decided I may want to take some action I dont know where the heating and burning smell come from When the laptop gets hot its like that everywhere when I touch the bottom I tried disassembling the laptop and didn't notice any parts that seemed burnt but I've only removed the cover on the bottom I can see one of the fans and it appears really dusty I would have to continue disassembling to see all the other parts But to continue working I need to get remove the mm hex studs on one of the parts I checked a few nearby stores even Home Depot but none of them has it But a local computer repair store could remove it Is it worth it I don't feel comfortable with someone touching my laptop

A:burning laptop smell

hi there

it sounds to me that the main cooling fan has become inefficient, usually due to build up of dust and hair etc, stopping it revolving to cool well enough or even stopping it completely

i would say that you need to at least get the fan out and clean it, then reassemble and ensure its kicking in as it should by listening for activity from it or leaving the cover off, booting up the machine and watching for the fan movement

however if you have any doubts about doing this yourself, i'd definitely get it looked at professionally, a reputable repair company should easily be able to find the issue and responsibly sort it, overheating is one of the most common laptop hardware faults and as such is likely to be their bread and butter :-)

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/289830-burning-laptop-smell.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Updated memory on Diemension dell 1100. Put the sticks in wrong way. Turned on, no action
but a burning smell. Powered down and inserted chips correctly. PC ok now but would there have been any
permanent damage and is there a remote risk of the PC going on fire ?

A:Burning smell upgrading ram

Well if it still works it probaly just got hot without burning anything out. Now that they are in correctly there should not by any more risk of fire than otherwise. Some component may have weakened and not last as long now however.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burning-smell-upgrading-ram.991750/
Relevancy 69.66%

My HP Pavilion Slimline s less than years old practically caught fire this morning nbsp I turned it on started it up and within minutes smoke came out the back and this horrible burning smell filled the air nbsp I turned the PC off and now it won't turn Burning Smell, Smoke back on nbsp The green nbsp Burning Smell, Smoke light does go on in the back when I connect it to the power supply but it does not start at all nbsp I opened up the side of the tower Burning Smell, Smoke and something in there definitely fried although I can't see exactly what it is nbsp It reeks of melted plastic and ash inside nbsp Tower was kept on top of a table completely out in the open nbsp So ventilation was more than adequate nbsp And as late as last night I still heard the fans going nbsp So those were fine as far as I know nbsp Motherboard looks OK too nbsp nbsp This is the first time I have ever had to replace a PC in such a short time frame And I bought an HP assuming it was a quality product nbsp Boy was I wrong nbsp The darn thing didn't even last TWO YEARS What a piece of junk nbsp Of course HP support tells me it will probably cost a few hundred dollars to send it to them to fix nbsp And Geek Squad wants just to look at it and diagnose the problem plus whatever parts and additional labor it takes to fix it nbsp Something in there will need to be replaced for sure nbsp So I may as well go buy a new tower nbsp Which nbsp of course will NOT be an HP nbsp nbsp And let's not even get started on what a pain in the neck it was to get the hard drive out so Burning Smell, Smoke I can have Geek Squad retrieve my files nbsp I practically had to rip the thing apart and my hands are covered in cuts from nbsp trying to squeeze my hands in there nbsp HP - you really need to make a better product nbsp Because you just lost a customer nbsp

A:Burning Smell, Smoke

Hello JOBeans0817, I am going to forward your thread to the appopriate team for review. No matter the age of the machine it shouldn't reach a point of smoking when turned on if it has been kept in good condition.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Burning-Smell-Smoke/td-p/1856539
Relevancy 69.66%

Updated memory on Diemension dell 1100. Put the sticks in wrong way. Turned on, no action
but a burning smell. Powered down and inserted chips correctly. PC ok now but would there have been any
permanent damage and is there a remote risk of the PC going on fire ?

A:Burning smell upgrading RAM

It's hard to see without me seeing it personally. If it's working OK now I'd continue to use it as normal. However obviously they're not designed to work with backwards memory hehe.

I'd do a backup of your data just in case, and then keep an eye on things and see how it goes. I doubt the machine will catch on fire. Check the motherboard for any signs of blown capacitors or scorch marks maybe?

Can't remember the last time I dealt with improperly installed memory and then tried to boot so sorry I can't offer up more suggestions.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-smell-upgrading-ram.163931/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey,So I've been dealing with my laptop smelling like burning plastic every time I use it. I don't have it plugged it to charge and it smells. The bottom is real hot to touch even though I give it room to cool.I've had other problems with it and was wondering if I could return it or do something about it. I've had the laptop less the one year.

A:Burning plastic Smell

#HPExpertDayTurn off the computer, unplug all attached cables and call HP Support ASAP.Not kidding...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Burning-plastic-Smell/td-p/5624575
Relevancy 69.66%

two years ago I built a PC for my uncle, a Gigabyte mobo, OCZ ram, XFX 8600GT, Core2Duo and a 425watt HiPER PSU

after 18 months he reported burning smell coming from the PSU....

what could this have been do you think?

he replaced it with an unbranded type from PC world that cost about 40 after I told him to stay away from cheap ones... I got the HiPER as I was under the impression they were a 'half' decent brand and would have done for his system....

its just im worried if its something else causing it and will it happen again with new one? - although cheap it looked sturdy with a 12cm fan

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,

A close friend of mine had his entire Degree course Project saved on his home computer. His brother accidently formatted his drive by inserting the WindowsXP disc into his hd and clicking erase all data on drive...!!!!

He didnt have any backup of the data on disc,
Were wondering if there is any possible way to retrive the data from his HD after full format.

His willing to pay any amount of money to retrive this, does anyone know if there are any programs or any way to retrive his project?

He does have a partial print out of his project, but this copy is months old, and large sections and are missing from it.

plz is there anyway at all?

A:HD Formatted, Possible to retrive data?

zeo,

Unless the HD has been overwritten data can be recovered from it. See this article;http://computer.org/security/v1n1/garfinkel.htm

Page 4 contains details of some recovery tools which could help and one ,by Norton, seems quite cheap.

Obviously, your friend could pay a specialist company to do this for him but that will definitely be expensive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hd-formatted-possible-to-retrive-data.132738/
Relevancy 69.66%

Is there a program I can get that will retrive deleted data from my hard disk, such as emails and messenger conversations, etc.

Thanks

A:Retrive Deleted Data

Depends.

Data isn't gone until it's overwritten. When you "delete" something the OS just marks the space as unused.

If the data was originally saved to your hard drive, and hasn't been overwritten yet. Yes

If the data was never saved to your hard drive and only existed on a server or RAM then or has already been overwritten. No.

Check out these from Tucows:
http://www.tucows.com/filerecovery95_default.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/retrive-deleted-data.326161/
Relevancy 69.66%

Can you have wildcards in a filename? i.e

='U:\CurrentReports\[Richmond-Report-022307.xls]Stats'!$C$2+'U:\CurrentReports\[Tampa-Report-022307.xls]Stats'!$C$2

The part that needs to be different is the part after -. This is the date of the report. That way it always gets the most current data. Can this be done in the cell itself or are we talking VBA codeing?

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi Team,

Interner Explorer unfortunately, has not been able to save History information yesterday.. I am looking for an important web page and cannot retrieve it now. Need your assistance, can you please help me on this.

Thank you,
Sushmita

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dd9b1469-900d-45c4-9d92-516864764faa/need-to-retrive-browsing-data?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 68.8%

Burning smell from tower and then nothing else works it wont even start

A:burning smell from tower now nothing works

Sounds like a bad power supply, also, check all the wires to see if there is any damage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/burning-smell-from-tower-now-nothing-works.50882/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hey guys So I was using my computer yesterday when it randomly shut off When I tried to turn it back on nothing was appearing on the monitor smell not starting/burning Comp I could hear the hard drive and fans spinning but there was no display After i tried to turn it back on my room smelled strongly of something electronic burning and i quickly shut it off Earlier today I tried to turn it on again The monitor was working this time and it tried to start windows in safe mode About seconds Comp not starting/burning smell into the Windows XP loading screen i smelled something burning again and the computer shut itself off on its own Anyone have any idea what s going on and or how to fix it My best guess would be a bad power supply but my knowledge of computer hardware is pretty slim so some input from people who know what they re doing would be nice before i go out and start spending money Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Comp not starting/burning smell

Hi,

First view would be Power Supply, then either the fan on your graphics card or the graphics card itself.

It could be the monitor though, to eiagnose this. Try the computer with a different monitor and monitor with a different computer.

hth

Ceri

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/comp-not-starting-burning-smell.528893/
Relevancy 68.8%

i upgraded my computer a couple days ago i had and somthing gig hardrives to begin with and hot/burning after smell upgrade Solved: i added a terrebite one i also upgraded my graphics card from an nvidia Geforce to a gt and replaced one of my mb ram with a gig one i wont be replacing the other one till i get the part they gave me the second Solved: hot/burning smell after upgrade one as laptop by mistake now within - min of starting my system there is a hot burning electronics smell i was wondering what would cause this the system does not shut itself down it still runs fine just im afraid of it ruining somthing or Solved: hot/burning smell after upgrade starting a fire original system was hp pavilion elite m f http h www hp com ewfrf wc amp lc en amp dlc en amp cc us amp product amp lang en i added Seagate sata quot Barracuda internal hardrive TB mb CACH rpm Nvidia Geforce GT GB DDR PNY GB DDR PC - Optima Memory nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

Ok I had a virus on my pc a few days ago and burning smell drive Hard through my negligence I waited too long to run a full system Hard drive burning smell check and on restarting the pc it wouldnt go into windows just a black screen with the mouse cursor Anyway no big deal most of my stuff is saved on an external So I pluged my hdd as a slave into another computer to run a virus scan it took out a lot of files and when I pluged it back it it had the same problem so I figured what the hell time for a fresh install anyways Now today I was going to Hard drive burning smell xfer my files that I had on there to my external and pluged the gimped drive into a recently purchased enclosure NSP-E upon firing it up the HDD began to make a lot of noise as it began to spin thought it was just it starting up but then I smelt a electric fire smell and quickly shut it off Upon inspection It was coming from the HDD Just recently I tested it on my other pc installing it internally it imediatly began making the same noise so I shut down again What just happened and is Hard drive burning smell there any recovering nbsp

A:Hard drive burning smell

Actually it's very strange. The Hard Drive is a sealed unit
Are you sure nothing was touching it? But if its making a bad noise anyway, I's say it's shot, gone, ded, and done.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-burning-smell.127573/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello,
I dropped my pc the other day (a 2005 Dell Dimension 3000 stock), and then when I would start it, it would turn off 2 seconds to 10 minutes later. when rebooted it would say 'turned off due to themal error" then one time it did some scan thing and said drive was dirty and did a long start up scan... then later I turned it on and smelt burning from the psu. i took it out and inspected it and it looked ok, put it back in now it won't even turn on and a orange light flashes. Is the problem that i need a new psu?
should i buy one on ebay, they are only $20. also is a dimesion 2100 psu the same as a 3000? b/c one is for sale that comes with other items i need.
thanks for the help! I'm pretty newbie to computers sorry...

A:Dropped PC, won't start.. burning smell.. psu?

A lot of things could have happened. Reseat all cards, cables. Hard drives are subject to shock and given enough jolt can damage it permanently. See if there is anything rattling. Read the no p.o.s.t. guide in he guides forum.

PCs are delicate. A big enough drop can seriously damage components.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dropped-pc-wont-start-burning-smell-psu.79406/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello!
I recived a brand new computer yesterday.upon opening the box, i felt a burning smell like a wire has been burning or a circuit has been fried.At first i ignored it but now im getting worried.The computer has been on for 15 hours or so with a 2 hour break and it wont go away.Any ideas?

Also a question about the PSU.On it, there is the on/off switch, but theres also a small black switch that i can regulate.what is it for?right now its on mid.

A:Brand New Computer, burning smell

Return it for an exchange or refund. Why take a chance.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/214680-brand-new-computer-burning-smell.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I have a backup pc with the following hardware CPU Intel Core Duo E GHz RAM GB DDR Dual Channel MHz Motherboard Asus P Q Pro GPU Ati Radeon HD X MHz MHz HDD GB rpm case fans power leds xDVDs ROM Powered by a NILOX W PSU Since I changed my GPU from a GeForce GTS to an HD X I noticed that my PSU makes a strange noise similar to an electrical quot beep quot when i use games or other applications which make the GPU work at high performance Today I launched GPU-Z's render test in fullscreen mode and after minutes hearing the quot beep quot from the PSU I also noticed that it was really hot and I noticed a light burning smell Immediatly I turned off my pc What should I smell burning PSU strange from noise and do now Should I replace the PSU with a new and better one I don't want to burn my pc the PSU has got only A at V

A:strange noise and burning smell from PSU

That PSU is horrible.. no offense. I would have -never- trusted that GPU to such a weak PSU. I was barely able to find information about it online.

Change it asap.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/280284-strange-noise-burning-smell-psu.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Last night I bought a new DellXPS13 and this morning turned it on. It has a plastic smell after booting it up that caused my nose to burn. When I started charging it it had a slight burning smell, never had this experience with other new laptops in the past. Some say this is normal and will stop in a few days and some say I should return it. Any input?

A:New Dell XPS13 burning smell

i would return it - I would not expect a burning smell

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-dell-xps13-burning-smell.1166992/
Relevancy 68.8%

I just installed a new Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-450 ATX12V 450W Power Supply in my computer 2 days ago. Now I am noticing a faint burning smell. I opened up the case while it is running and see no problem with the wires or connections. The smell specifically comes from the power supply fan on the back of the case. Is this normal or is the power supply faulty? I'm hoping its just some residue burning off and it will go away, don't really feel like replacing it again.....Anyone have any ideas?

Relevancy 68.8%

I was playing a video game last night for only 45 minutes when my computer automatically rebooted on me. Next, I smelt a burning smell. It smelt like burning rubber. Next, I heard an electrical "popping" sound. I immediately unplugged my computer. I play this video game all the time and for much longer periods than 45 minutes, so I found all of this VERY odd. This morning, I plugged everything back in and tried to turn it on, but absolutely nothing happens. It is totally dead...not even the fan or hard drive tries to start up. Any suggestions as to what's wrong? I HOPE it's just the power supply in my computer and not something more expensive to fix...

A:Solved: I smelt a burning smell...

Sounds like a failed power supply. They aren't overly hard to swap out, but you need to make sure you get the correct type. And one with a bit more wattage.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-i-smelt-a-burning-smell.774597/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi everyone Appreciate any PC now up - power - won't smell Desktop burning initial insights on this Was online using a VOIP program as well as playing an online game Smelled a burning smell and then the computer just shut down About a week before that for the very first time my computer took a while to restart Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now just hanging on the windows logo screen I had to shut it down and reboot and everything was fine No updates were being installed at the time Not sure if it was related but it was the first time this machine had done that This machine was built in late June of So far Tried a new PSU with it Corsair AX platinum Tested the voltage on the CMOS battery popped it out for a few minutes tested it Tested the old PSU listed below with the green wire test No obvious damage on the mobo but currently about to start taking my build apart and taking a closer look at everything Specs Seasonic M II SS- AM W ATX V EPS V SLI Ready PLUS Bronze PSU EVGA ACX Cooler GeForece GTX R PCI Express SLI Support ASUS Z -PRO Wi-Fi ac LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now Gb s USB ATX Intel mobo Crucial Ballistix Sport GB x GB -pin DDR SDRAM DDR Intel Core i - K haswell Quad-Core GHz LGA W Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now Crucial M GB SATA SS drive WD Blue TB hard drive rpm SATA Gb s MB cache Samsung SATA Gb- optical drive Cooler Master Hyper EVO-CPU cooler with mm PWM Fan Windows System Builder OEM bit Thanks in advance for the help nbsp

A:Desktop PC - burning smell - won't power up now

Additionally, the little power button on the mobo is red lit when plugged into the PSU. No beeps when trying to turn it on. Fans don't run either. Speaker is installed on the mobo. When I do try and power up the machine after hooking up the PSU, I do hear a faint click, but nothing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-pc-burning-smell-wont-power-up-now.1156045/
Relevancy 68.8%

I want to retrive the data which skip recycle bin....
I mistakenly deleted my data and the size of the data is 4GB and it ask me "The size is big to fit in recycle" and tab of yes and no

Can any one please help me to retrive my data

Thanks !!!!!

A:How to retrive data which skip recycle bin

Hello shoaib009

You will have to try the data recovery programs.
Do not use the machine until you have done the data recovery.

Here are some good free ones.

Restoration
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html
Try this one first as it does not require installation

Recuva - File Recovery
http://www.recuva.com:80/

Undelete Plus
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5301.html

Tuneup Utilities 2008.
http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/
It has a 30-day fully functional trial and has a built-in undelete utility

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-retrive-data-which-skip-recycle-bin-401838.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I have a month old laptop that has a burning smell when I boot it up. It works fine and the smell quickly goes away, but it is bothersome.

A:burning smell Inspiron 15 3000 series

Hi xine48,
Please run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.
http://dell.to/164l6g4
Also, let us know from which part of the system you get the burning smell.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19682940
Relevancy 67.94%

I was on my desktop computer last night when it randomly shut down and I could smell burning but I was not sure where it was coming from.

I found that the graphics card was hot but this is not unusual, my PSU was hot but I don't usually check this and the heatsink felt fine apart from the CPU metal contact. I had recently replaced the heatsink as I broke the former when trying to clean it. I do could not see any visual signs of damage but I wasn't able to remove the PSU from the motherboard (but it has been there for 3+ years).

I could not tell where the burning was coming from.

My specifications are:

Intel Q9300
Nvidia Geforce GTX 280
Tagan 400W PSU
ASUS P5Q (vanilla)

How do I best approach this?

Cheers,

Doraku

A:My computer randomly shut down and I could smell burning

The recommended PSU for a Geforce GTX 280 is a 550 watt power supply so you've been stressing that unit way past its limit, so I would start by replacing the power supply with a high quality, higher wattage unit. We recommend the Corsair TX 650 quite a lot: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-randomly-shut-down-and-i-could-smell-burning.1036583/
Relevancy 67.94%

PC & Burning Case Power Switch smell PC Problem Hi I recently built a new PC for a family member but I have one problem the old motherboard fried due to a power surge couple of days back I refitted a new motherboard but am having problems with the Case Power Switch I know where is goes on the motherboard but not which way I know which is plus and minus on the motherboard but can identify which PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell is which on the wire at the back of the wire it has a small arrow on one side and nothing on the other Normally I have a sheet which identifies the plus and minus that come with the case PC Problem On another PC which I have built for someone else I could smell burning and I can t identify what is wrong I have built a few PC s but first time this has happened could it just be because its a new motherboard Thanks in Advance nbsp

A:PC Case Power Switch & Burning smell

Case power switches, reset switches have no polarity needs. Plug them in anyway you want. Burning smells coming from computers is never a "normal" or good thing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-case-power-switch-burning-smell.119443/
Relevancy 67.94%

My PC ASUS P G with G RAM nVidia FX AGP graphics card Compro TV Tuner Card XP Pro SP Background Last Wednesday i installed a new TV Tuner Card System was Smell, Screen Burning Freezing & PC Black fine til about days ago The problem The other day i was working on my PC and started smelling a mild electrical burning smell The smell faded before i could figure out what it is but came Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing back again about minutes later followed closely by my system freezing and my monitor going black I Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing had to pull the power cord out the back of the system to turn it Burning Smell, Black Screen & PC Freezing off After a few minutes i turned it back on again and it appeared to boot fine About minutes after using it the same thing happened again and the screen went black At this point i figured the problem was most probably my AGP Card so i got the case apart and took it out After changing my monitor back to the on-board graphics SiS chipset the system appeared to boot fine again I used it for probably hrs of use after this and was thinking the problem was solved until this morning when i smelt that burning smell again followed by the entire system freezing up This time though the screen did NOT go black so i assume the onboard graphics are ok still At this point today i removed the TV Tuner card rebooted and it loaded fine I ve not used it much this this happened I m not sure what actually caused these problems or if they are more serious than they appear Notes I have looked at the AGP card amp the TV Tuner card for marks or signs of burns and neither have them The problems all started days after i installed the TV Tuner Card in PCI Slot Is it possible that the TV Card was the catalyst of the problems and has actually caused damage to the AGP Card Does anybody have any insight into this type of problem nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

I put in a little GT 610 graphics card about a week ago and everything has been fine since, I get up this morning and now there is the smell of burning dust coming from my computer.

I opened up the case, checked the fans, checked all the hardware, checked for burnt items on the motherboard and all seem to be in order, I checked what temps of things i could with the speccy program and all are in the normal range.

The computer is running fine, no slow downs or anything, can anyone suggest to me something else to look for, the smell of burning dust is quite strong though not overwhelming by any means.

Thanks
TC

A:smell of burning dust coming from computer

Hello TC,

Have you already gave the inside of your case a good cleaning and blowing out any dust?

How does the PSU look? Don't open the PSU because it can electrocute you even when unplugged. Only look through the grill.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/47119-smell-burning-dust-coming-computer.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Okay I need some help Two days ago I walked over to my computer and it had apparently shut itself down I tried to turn it on again but got zero response At this point my keyboard and other items connected to the tower Showed power I then hit the dedicated on off switch on Solved: Random shutdown. smell. Burning the psu and there was no power to anything Fast forward to today and out of boredom I hit the power switch and it turns on like there was never a problem except now there s a very bad burning smell coming out Solved: Random shutdown. Burning smell. from it and I am unable to identify the source It has a new motherboard in it about months Solved: Random shutdown. Burning smell. old and it doesn t seem to have any problems I m thinking that its perhaps a bad psu or potentially my graphics card burning up The psu is an ultra watt and the graphics card is an xfx geforce gso They are both original and about years old Thanks for any help Okay well I changed out the power supply Burning smell is gone Starts up Except my monitor is no longer getting signal Wonderful Is it possible that the old psu burnt out my brand new motherboard Is there something I did wrong that could cause this I installed a corsair gs Bigger then the old one ugh please help nbsp

Relevancy 67.94%

Hello I m having trouble with my external harddrive Just recently I did a major clean up of my desktop computer removing a lot of unnecessary programs and other junk software external not working harddrive I think I might have removed too much because now my external harddrive won t respond properly When I turn it on it either freezes the computer or fails to respond at external harddrive not working all I must have accidentally removed a driver or something important for interfacing with the drive properly Can anyone think of a program that would show up in quot Add Remove Programs quot whose removal would affect communnication external harddrive not working with external harddrives Windows XP external harddrive not working Pro Other USB devices seem to work fine our digital camera my flash drive iPod and other music devices etc - so I don t think it has anything to do with the USB drivers they don t appear to be malfunctioning when I bring up the Device Manager list - but who knows - certainly not me Another strange thing is that the external harddrive seemed to work fine for a short while after doing my major cleanup I m pretty sure I rebooted at least once since the cleanup and still found it to work fine but my memory is not clear Also although now the symptoms of the problem are that either the computer freezes or it simply doesn t recognize that the harddrive is connected and turned on it used to be that I could browse the contents of the harddrive up to a certain level in the folder hierarchy that is I could go as far as f music MyMixes but then certain folders beyond that level would cause the computer to freeze when I tried to open them This would happen throughout a couple of reboots and then just turning the harddrive on would cause problems and that s where I am now Thanks for any help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive-not-working.809078/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hey everyone, I'm Lolos and I have a question for everyone, hope u guys can help me. I recently brought a WD 1tb external harddrive about a month ago. I got it and hooked up it and it was working great. Two weeks ago my computer wouldn't reconigze it and my laptop would freeze. I restarted it and it would start and show the windows xp logo and then a black screen. Black screen would stay there and nothing would load. I went ahead and started my laptop in safe mode and my laptop sees my external harddrive and works just fine. I don't know whats going on, can you help me please.

Thanks
Lolos

A:WD External Harddrive Not Working

try to start windows without the drive...when windows boot successfully plug the drive in the usb port and check what happens.....scan ur laptop and desktop in case of a malware....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-harddrive-not-working.107075/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello I just went out the house for a few hours so left my problem System room) in standby (Burning smell computer on standby I came back to System standby problem (Burning smell in room) find the room had a slight burning smell which was confirmed by my brother When I tried starting my computer it stopped at the screen as soon as the motherboard loads Its never done that before Nothing else electrical was on in the room After a few minutes it asked some question about whether I wanted to delete the boot info or continue with the previos boot It was on about the standby information held on the hard drive however I cant remember how the question was praised Its been asking that question on and off the last few times Ive set the system in standby however its never left a burning smell in the room or anything like that I just select to delete and continue and it loads like a fresh boot loosing any data from when it was put on standby I ve been doing some forensic stuff imaging and analysing ram recently so god knows if its anything to do with that It only started the past few days since I got into imaging ram however I doubt its relating as imaging ram shouldnt affect the computers ram state considering the importance it would hold in an investigation Has anyone got any idea whats going on Suppose I better do some backing up Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

I was browsing websites on a four year old Dell Dimension 4700 PC when all of a sudden the computer suddenly turned off. The computer would not turn back on and the power light on the front of the computer, which normally is green when the computer is on, blinked yellow over and over again. After unplugging the computer and plugging it back in, the blinking yellow light went away and the computer did power on (complete with green light), but there was a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and nothing loaded. Every time I try to turn on the computer now all I get is that green light and an incredibly loud fan, nothing comes on the screen, I hear no beeps, nothing.

What could this possibly be and what could I do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

A:Computer doesn't work after crash/burning smell

Firstly, don't attempt to turn it on anymore, as you're most likely cause more damage, each time, you do so.
Secondly, it's rather impossible to diagnose on line what's going on inside the case.
Your best option is to bring it to a pro shop.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/288334/computer-doesnt-work-after-crashburning-smell/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,

I have been having a few problems lately and now I have these tiny blue dots on my screen. They go in vertical line and are not always there. I have also now noticed a burning smell from time to time and I thought it was the power cord so I bought a new one and now I know it's coming from the system.

Any information would be appreciate as to what I may do to find out exactly what is happening with my PC. I read a few things online and it says video-card but how can I tell for sure?

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Relevancy 67.51%

I was browsing websites on a four year old Dell Dimension 4700 PC when all of a sudden the computer suddenly turned off. The computer would not turn back on and the power light on the front of the computer, which normally is green when the computer is on, blinked yellow over and over again. After unplugging the computer and plugging it back in, the blinking yellow light went away and the computer did power on (complete with green light), but there was a horrible burning smell coming from the machine and nothing loaded. Every time I try to turn on the computer now all I get is that green light and an incredibly loud fan, nothing comes on the screen, I hear no beeps, nothing.

What could this possibly be and what could I do to fix it? Thanks in advance.

A:Computer doesn't work after crash/burning smell

Sounds like you may have fried the power supply. Remove the covers and see how much crap is covering all the components. A can of air blaster works good to clean out heatsinks and fans. Do any work with the power unplugged then carefully turn it on and see if you can see what is cooking in there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-work-after-crash-burning-smell.895436/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi A few days back I ran a cell-phone related ? System ! not HD - Operating found data retrive dead applications and it installed - new drivers I did not have to restart my system but windows created Operating System not found - dead HD ? retrive data ! a restore point The applications worked fine Late that evening I restarted my laptop and while it was shutting down I happened Operating System not found - dead HD ? retrive data ! to remove a USB wire that was connected to my laptop USB wire to download pics from a digital camera The windows could not start from that point onwards When I power ON its gives me the screen with COMPAQ Operating System not found - dead HD ? retrive data ! printed on it for a minute or two and then a blank screen with error Operating system not found I cannot hear any noise fan spinning cycle for the HD is initiated Also when I went into BOIS setup PhoneixBIOS setup I have only tabs - Main Boot and Exit Under MAIN I do not see any hard drive listed primary master slave etc Under BOOT I have removable media on the top and HARD Drive on the bottom I did a Load Default verified that all drives were empty and removed all external connections external Hard drive and external DVD writer but still it gives me the same error on start up This is a Compaq Presario US Notebook Processor GHz Intel Pentium III Number of Processors RAM MB RAM Type SDRAM Hard Drive GB CD-RW x write DVD-ROM x Operating System Windows XP Home Edition Bundled Software Microsoft Internet Explorer America Online Microsoft Encarta Online Deluxe Encyclopedia - year subscription Microsoft Works Microsoft Money Norton Anti-Virus Microsoft Media Player Roxon Easy CD Creator Studio DV Interview Winded Display Viewable Size active-matrix Display Viewable Size inches Weight pounds I need to get some data restored from this HD or the entire HD working preferably Thx nbsp

A:Operating System not found - dead HD ? retrive data !

premb said:

I need to get some data restored from this HD (or the entire HD working preferably)Click to expand...

1) The first thing you need to find out is whether the HD is gone to heaven. If you have an XP CD put it in the drive and boot from it, you will get an option to repair a damaged install, if windows is found and its repairable your done.

2) If however windows isnt found and the HD has indeed died then dont you wish you had backed up your important data, sorry to sound hard but it should be second nature to any PC user to remember the golden rule.

3) If you dont have an XP disk then download a boot disk from here, use this disk to see if your HD is showing, if it does then use the disk to get your files of (assuming they will fit on a floppy). If however with the floppy the HD doesnt show see point number 2.

4) If the files are to big and the disk is recoverable then get hold of a 2.5 to 3.5 HD adaptor from any PC spares shop, slave the drive to a PC and pull the files off it, you will need to change ownership of the HD on the PC to access it, oh and it must be running XP or 2K.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/operating-system-not-found-dead-hd-retrive-data.56432/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi A few days back I ran HD - not ! data found System Operating retrive ? dead a cell-phone related applications and it installed - new drivers I did not have to restart my system but windows created a restore point The applications worked fine Late that evening I restarted my laptop and while it was shutting down I happened to remove a USB wire that was connected Operating System not found - dead HD ? retrive data ! to my laptop USB wire to download pics from a digital camera The windows could not start from that point onwards When I power ON its gives me the screen with COMPAQ printed on it for a minute or two and then a blank screen with error Operating system not found I cannot hear any noise fan spinning cycle for the HD is initiated Also when I went into BOIS setup PhoneixBIOS setup I have only tabs - Main Boot and Exit Under MAIN I do not see any hard drive listed primary master slave etc Under BOOT I have removable media on the top and HARD Drive on the bottom I did a Load Default verified that all drives were empty and removed all external connections external Hard drive and external DVD writer but still it gives me the same error on start up This is a Compaq Presario US Notebook Processor GHz Intel Pentium III Number of Processors RAM MB RAM Type SDRAM Hard Drive GB CD-RW x write DVD-ROM x Operating System Windows XP Home Edition Bundled Software Microsoft Internet Explorer America Online Microsoft Encarta Online Deluxe Encyclopedia - year subscription Microsoft Works Microsoft Money Norton Anti-Virus Microsoft Media Player Roxon Easy CD Creator Studio DV Interview Winded Display Viewable Size active-matrix Display Viewable Size inches Weight pounds I need to get some data restored from this HD or the entire HD working preferably Thx nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

I have a Freecom GB external harddrive When I try plugging it into my new PC it won t work and when I check i its properties it gives a code error quot Windows has stopped this device because it has Harddrive working not External Code 43 reported problems Code quot Code 43 External Harddrive not working This is weird because it works on my bit Windows system with no problems and it even works on an old laptop running XP that s not connected to the internet so can t update drivers yet still works My new PC is running on bit windows Could this be the problem I have tried it in different USB ports and the driver is up to date All searchs on Google seem to be solved by updating the driver but mine is up to date so I m not sure Thanks for your help Sysinfo Code Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P P LE Rev X X Antivirus None nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/code-43-external-harddrive-not-working.1018007/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi,

Everytime I connect my external USB harddrive it shows status 'failed' in the disk manager. I then have the possibillity to re-activate the disk. When I do that it works as normal. The data also remains.

What could be wrong with it?

I have tried a different harddrive case, but the problem remains.

Regards
TrueAnswer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-usb-harddrive-failing-and-working.672188/
Relevancy 67.08%

Greetings,
I have a seagate external harddrive that suddenly stopped working on my HP dv7 laptop.
It work on my desktop computer just fine. When I plug it into my laptop it says that its running fine, shows up in my device manager, allows me to eject it, but i cant get to it. It doesnt show up in my computer hard disk drives...
I dont have any yellow ! in my device manager, and I drivers is upto date and i uninstalled it and reinstalled but same problem. I also tried different USB ports. Also ran malwarbytes but still nothing.

Anything else I can try?

A:external harddrive roconnized but not working

I know very little about laptops but if you could complete this tutorial with your external drive plugged in it will help others help you.

By Golden:

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/384115-external-harddrive-roconnized-but-not-working.html
Relevancy 66.22%

As the title says, my new Seagate Expansion Portable Drive is not working in the 3.0 slots in the front of my computer. It only works when i plug it into one of my two 2.0 slots on the back of my computer, which are both occupied by my mouse and keyboard, both of them are not backwards compatible. When my Drive is plugged into a 3.0, absolutely nothing happens. i get a green light on the drive, but it does not show up in my bios or in "My Computer". Works perfectly fine in a 2.0 though.

My motherboard is made by gigabyte, and is only about 2 months old, and my drive is 5 months old.

A:External seagate 1tb harddrive not working with 3.0 usb slot.

Did you install the 3.0 drivers and enable it in the BIOS? All versions of USB are backwards compatible.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/287401-external-seagate-1tb-harddrive-not-working-3-0-usb-slot.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have this WD My Passport external portable harddrive which I have used for a couple of years. I was writing something to the drive one day when the USB connection seems to be somewhat loose and the drive disconnected momentarily and reconnected itself but the file I was trying to write ended prematurely...

Now when I try to use the Seagate Harddrive test tool for windows and do a Short Generic test and the result failed.. I am fear it might have been caused by the disconnection and might eventually corrupt the entire drive... I try to run chkdsk but there aren't any errors detected it seems and files seems to be accessible as normal... Is there a way to fix the harddrive without losing data in the drive or confirm the drive is indeed failing?

A:Seagate Harddrive test tool fail but harddrive data seems intact

Run the most thorough and extensive test available with the WD hard drive utilities.

If it fails the thorough test, you may have a warranty claim.

Or the Seagate tool. Whatever you have. Your title is confusing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/232251-seagate-harddrive-test-tool-fail-but-harddrive-data-seems-intact.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello I have been having some trouble with my HP G Laptop lately Well some months ago I broke my screen by accident so only of the in /Win not switch System [SOLVED] External Boot screen working repair screen is visible [SOLVED] External screen switch not working in Boot /Win System repair I solved this by using an external screen connected through VGA-port It all worked fine no [SOLVED] External screen switch not working in Boot /Win System repair problems and I did not have to bother buying a new [SOLVED] External screen switch not working in Boot /Win System repair spare screen part Since the laptop is nearly years old investing in a new screen would be like lottery not sure how long the laptop will keep running However a week ago after installing a game Dreamfall which obviously ruined my system I cannot start windows It boots into the option of starting windows or entering system repair It says at boot Windows cannot start due to a recent hardware change or something Safe Mode wont work To make it short I need to make my Boot screen visible on the external screen which is not working by the Fn F key like usual In BIOS it seems to be enabled but not too sure I have to blindly go through it Its hard to even navigate through System repair I managed to enter the HP Recovery Options menu Windows says there are no restore points for the system What So I would like to try runing SFC if it might help but I cannot access the command prompt since I cannot navigate In case I need to make a factory reset of the system it would still be hard to navigate through Again a new sparte screen part is not an option then I would rather buy a new laptop but since this is working except the screen I want to use it So any help in making the external screen switch work would be much appreciated

A:[SOLVED] External screen switch not working in Boot /Win System repair

You may not be able to do this, as you probably need Windows to load to use the second screen. You have already tried the F4 key, which might have worked. Have you tried F4 without holding down the FN key as well?

What you could try is to close the laptop lid, with the second monitor plugged in. The might detect this and use the second screen.

Testing this with the HP laptop I have here, it looks like you are out of luck, as the dual-screen functionality does not seem to work during boot or inside Windows Recovery Options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nejmeg

...Since the laptop is nearly 4 years old investing in a new screen would be like lottery, not sure how long the laptop will keep running
Again, a new sparte screen part is not an option, then I would rather buy a new laptop, but since this is working (except the screen) I want to use it...

The age of a system is not an indication that it will randomly break or stop working, and even if it did, four years is nothing for computer systems. The system that I am using right now is four years old and I have no doubt that it will keep kicking for many years to come.

Unless a system is damaged, pushed around, or maybe made to work at 100% for 100% of the time (unlikely), then it should keep going. Regular maintenance can help reduce the chance of things going wrong. Of course, there are some components that do wear down overtime, but four years? Unless there was a problem with the build or something wrong with a component, then it should last longer than that. This can depend on the quality of the components and how you use the system. For example, a case fan or the hard drive may start to pack up within four years, but they might also keep going for a decade or more.

It is probably more likely that the system will become obsolete before it breaks, where it struggles to run modern software. In this case, you would need to buy a new system to run the new software.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-external-screen-switch-not-working-in-boot-win-system-repair-830522.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I'm running Windows Vista and I am trying to run a seagate external harddrive. The device manager says its working properly, the drivers are up to date, etc. but when I go into my computer it is not showing up. The harddrive is unformatted- I use it on both Macs and PCs.

A:External Harddrive "Working Properly" but not in browser

If the hard drive is unformatted, then it wouldn't show up in my computer. You need to format the hard drive. Right click my computer and go to manage. In the Management console go to disk management and format your hard drive. If you say you use it on both macs and pcs, then it is formatted and you can try to assign it a drive letter. If it's formatted for Mac, you'll need to install MacDrive or something similar to access the files.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/236282-external-harddrive-working-properly-but-not-browser.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi, I recently bought a 1TB external HD and after about a month it has stopped working. It's now making loud clicking noises like metal on plastic, my laptop is not even recognizing it anymore. I tried switching the power supply and the USB cords, nothing makes the slightest difference. It just starts up, then starts making loud beeps and clicking noises. Not even an error message. Is there anything I can do to fix it or at the very least recover the data?

A:LACIE external HD not working, loud clicking noises, how do i recover data?

Hopefully, you have backups. Chances are not good for recovery if there are noises. You could try connecting it to your PC internally.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lacie-external-hd-not-working-loud-clicking-noises-how-do-i-recover-data.895311/
Relevancy 57.62%

I just recently bought a used computer to replace the one I had which died on me. For some reason, my old harddrive isn't being recognized as the main hard drive when I remove the new one and plug my old one in. Both harddrives are recognized when I have my old one plugged up with the extra power and IDE cable, so I was wondering if it is possible to copy the contents of my old drive to the new one and have it where it transfers all of my installed software over without having to reinstall everything?

A:Harddrive to harddrive data transfer?

So what you tried to do is get WinXP to boot after it was installed on a different computer. This usually does not work well unless the Motherboard onthe new computer is almost identical to the old one. At the very least you would want to uninstall all drivers that were istalled as part of the old motherboard then do a repair installation of Windows XP. Then again if your installation of Windows is an OEM version of Windows it is not legal to use it on a second computer even if the second computer is a replacement for the first. If this is a retail copy of Windows then you can do it. You would need also the drivers for the new system.. As far as transfering installed programs from one hard drive to another and have them work properly if at all, it is not likely that you will succeed in doing so as installed programs make changes to the registry so that windows will know where to go look for the files to operate these programs. Just transferring the programs will not make the changes needed to your registry that an installation would make.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/harddrive-to-harddrive-data-transfer.542717/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello,

My desktop computer's motherboard was fried in a tragic lightning accident, but the hard drive is intact. I would like to purchase an enclosure for the hard drive and use it as an external hard drive. I'm posting here because I'm worried about compatibility.

Here are the hard drive details:
Seagate, S/N 90Z7588X
ST 380215A
P/N 9CY011-305
Firmware 3.AAD
Date code 08257
Barracude 7200.10
80 Gbytes

Will that work with any of these enclosures:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817158012
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173047
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acom...sem/rpsm/oid/206486/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Thank you in advance for any help!

A:External Harddrive from Old Computer Harddrive

Any 3.5" IDE compatible drive enclosure will do the trick. I use a ThermalTake enclosure myself (same as MadDog and CompUSAs no-name brand).

Courtney

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive-from-old-computer-harddrive.735999/
Relevancy 56.76%

I realize one is just an enclosure and you provide the harddrive, and one is a true harddrive, but which is better and whats really the difference?

Relevancy 56.33%

hey

i need data off an old pc which was windows 98 word97
so i put it in my comp (xp. office suite 8) i want to access files from old harddrive but wheni click word it says data might be currupt? plz help

A:old harddrive. need data off it. put as slave. cant access data

iLLegaL89 said:

hey

i need data off an old pc which was windows 98 word97
so i put it in my comp (xp. office suite 8) i want to access files from old harddrive but wheni click word it says data might be currupt? plz helpClick to expand...

Well, generally all the office suits are backward compatible...so there's should not be any problem. Can you open that word file(s) on the old PC (World 97 as u mentioned?) If it is so, you might have some problem with this new PC office suit.
Try, making copy of the old files in old PC using save as or may be you can convert doc files (if you don't have some hi level formating) to rtf files. That can be opened in Wordpad comes with every Windows OS.
This might help, i guess..
- Nirav

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/old-harddrive-need-data-off-it-put-as-slave-cant-access-data.324284/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have done this a hundred times or more, What am I doing wrong. I was showing a friend how to burn some data onto a cd. she had a word document and followed my directions and it got burned on fine. I told her how if she wanted to add some info or deleted something from it she could just pull it up and make the changes and then click the red X in the right hand corner and would ask her if she wanted to save the changes I told her to click yes and it would save them and that was that. However, it keeps coming back that it cannot save the changes cause it is read only. If you right click on it > properties> it says read only and won't let you change it, I always use to change the data I burnt. What am I doing different? Please help

A:Solved: Windows XP SP1-Burning data to a cd, try to add some data and it says read only--hel

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-sp1-burning-data-to-a-cd-try-to-add-some-data-and-it-says-read-only-hel.435223/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have Windows Vista 64bit using a Pioneer Model BDR-2209 DVD burner, and I am using Optical Quantum 50GB 6X BD-R DL media. I have copied over 28gb of data files to burn to the dvd then selected burn files to disc, and it runs for a while and stops saying there is not enough free space on the disc. I know it has 46gb free on the dvd so why is this happening? I even tried to use an old copy of nero version 9 and It it starts to burn then gives me an error and stops. Can some please help me here, I would like to backup my 28gb's of data to a 50gb dvd.

Thanks

A:Issue with Burning data on a blue ray dvd (Data)

Your drive is designed for Blue-ray and Vista so there is no problem there.

The fact that the burner runs for a while then says there is not enough free space suggests that whatever burner you are using is trying to write a DVD (4.6GB) or a CD (7-800MB). Two possibilities here. One is that the burner is not capable of burning blue-rays or that it is not being set to blue-ray as the destination. I have Nero 9 myself but it is not available to me at the moment so I can't check if it can handle blue-rays or not.

Since your drive is compatible with Vista it is the burner you are using that I would look at.

Chris Cosgrove

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572944/issue-with-burning-data-on-a-blue-ray-dvd-data/
Relevancy 53.32%

My harddrive is infected with virus so terribly that it is not detected by the BIOS of mainboard. I want to know which software can detect the harddrive without depending on the detection of BIOS on mainboard and can fill zero every sector of the harddrive. I have tried DM software of Ontrack but they require the harddisk must be detected by the BIOS on mainboard.

By the way, do you know how to repair the harddisk with BAD track 0. Some of my harddrives have BAD track and I want to hide them. How?

Thank you very much and I am waiting for your response.
Tung
NGuyen Thanh Tung

A:How to repair harddrive

A virus on a hard drive cannot stop BIOS from detecting it. A virus has to be accessed to make something happen, and the auto detect feature of a hard drive is hard coded into the drive - it cannot be infected.

So, either you have a bad motherboard, or the drive is actually dead - nothing to do with a virus. Just physically dead.

Try it in another computer. If it won't detect there either, you are out of luck. If it isn't too old, it may be in warranty though. Many companies have 3 year warranties on their drives.

As for bad track 0 - you can try the diagnostics by the folks who make the drive. What brand is it? Not too likely to fix it, but the only thing that MIGHT work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-repair-harddrive.41702/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hey, I'm needing to take my desktop to a repair shop to get the HDMI fixed - my hdmi broke because of 'hotplugging' it. So I need to get it looked at. I'm planning on removing the harddrive to keep all my information safe. I'm not into dealing with hardware much so I have a few stupid questions;

If I remove the harddrive is it as simple as plugging it all back in to go to the way it was originally?;
If they for some reason need to use another harddrive on my desktop 'as I've heard they do keep spares in case they are given a laptop/desktop without one' - will it cause any conflicts when I put mine back in? 'not sure how these things work'.

Any help will be appreciated.

A:PC repair - removing harddrive

Shouldn't be a problem assuming they don't change any hardware.

What do you mean by fixing HDMI? If you have a bad HDMI port, are they going to replace the motherboard? If they did that, then you might well have a problem when you reinstall the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/397867-pc-repair-removing-harddrive.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi everyone My external USb Wd mybook box has tb Seagate Sata and i use original Wd disc as W installed in My PC Case as sata II Today my old problem appears again as Corrupted disc I recovery external Data data but problem, space. Can reach no corrupted have Get Data Back NTFS and i used before plenty of times for recovery loss data or unwanted deletions but This time im stuck Becouse the disk i try to recover includes gb about used disk space only audio files only gb about empty space Thats too big for me to recover to other disks i don't have enough spaces that my other disks can handle I have about gb FREE disk space in several disks or partitions include My thinkpad SL Notebook Data recovery problem, Can reach corrupted data but no external space. --------- So my question is wit keeping my lost data in corrupted disk first can i take them slowly to this gb spaces i know i can and after create somehow emty space deleting those recovered gb on corrupted disk and use that empty space for more recovery Or smilar solutions Becouse DISC PRICES IS HEAVY nowadays and really i'm out of budget with buying some equipments upgrades ---------- IS THERE Data recovery problem, Can reach corrupted data but no external space. ANY PRACTICALLY POSSIBLE SOLUTION even can take very long time Like creating slowly slowly some extra spaces don't know how I know i look silly in Data recovery problem, Can reach corrupted data but no external space. situation becouse i know u should never write to same disc if you dont want to say goodbye to your files E-how happened not necessary to read these part according my experiences Thats the mistakes DOn't do those at the same time After Letting my Share program DC took big share space on that disk today -there were people downloading from my disk and don't know why i did that -i used heavly that disk to tag amp rename my music -Also let windows seven index -and also let my dc indexes my share I did these things at the same time disks was working My Downloads were happening another disk but it didnt help there were no any problems im just suspicious about some virus worked on this corruption but i don't have enough clue to say that Seems overload processes made this corruption Also one more mistake i made even i know shouldnt that there was a single folder with about gb value in my musics as jukebox folder Also don't do that normally i allow for download and upload only single disk for example gb Anyway somehow after restarting my OS i suddenly see half of my data was gone from TB disk and stupidly unlike other times while using get data back i tried to write a little amount from lost data to free space on same disc then immediately i gave up but this time disk become unstable Completly corrupted after restart my restart reasons are immediate quit for suspicious virus etc with using removal batch files becouse i SO as classic sorry to take ur time and PLEASE Help

A:Data recovery problem, Can reach corrupted data but no external space.

Hi,

Before you write more data or attempt to read data from the drive through Windows, I would suggest using a Live CD like SysRescueCD to boot from and access the HDD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/213342-data-recovery-problem-can-reach-corrupted-data-but-no-external-space.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have an external data range importing data (Access DB via file DSN) into an Excel spreadsheet.
My problem is date/currency fields in Access do not format properly after refreshing. Most of the time the fields default to a general.

Any ideas?

Relevancy 52.03%

any advise?

I'm moving to a new pc and want to dual boot my old hard drive.

I don't want to have to reinstall every single program.

It hangs after loading the drivers, even in safe mode.

A:old harddrive won't boot on new pc even after repair install

if it is an old drive from your old computer there may not be the proper drivers to support your new computer in spite of the repair install.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/old-harddrive-wont-boot-on-new-pc-even-after-repair-install-478336.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey Guys,

So I pulled my external harddrive off the desk last night. Now windows wants to format it. No clicking, no bad noises, just dosnt recognize it.

I think I scrapped the boot sector or something.

Anyone know any way to repair this and return to using it like normal withought having to pull all the info off using a recovery tool, then reformat?

I have ultimate boot CD, just not sure which tool to use/how to use it. (used to use this to fix a previos harddrive a long time ago..)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/repair-a-usb-harddrive-boot-sector.944978/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi folks,
I had a old PC which has just crashed but there is still some of my stuff, like photos, music, documents saved on this drive..which, of course I didn't back up.
If I remove the hard drive and install it in my new machine will it just appear as a second drive?
My new machine is running Windows Media and I don't want to do any damage by installing a hard drive that has XP OS on it

Or am I concerned unnecessarily

Relevancy 51.6%

I booted up my Win 7 computer today and ChkDsk said my Ex HDD may have been corrupted and proceeded to delete some files. Those were some very important files - how can I get them back? (Video and Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 files)

I prefer free methods on this - I know I can buy software to do this, but I currently don't have the money. Or a very cheap method, if nothing else.

It's ironic that today was the day I was going to back up this drive.

Please help!

A:External HDD data recovery - Chkdsk erased some data!!

"How To Recover CHK Files Created by CHKDSK and SCANDISK ? Raymond.CC Blog"
How To Recover CHK Files Created by CHKDSK and SCANDISK

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/22300-external-hdd-data-recovery-chkdsk-erased-some-data.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello All programs and contents of my PC exept Explorer and Outlook have diappeared I m running in safe mode Anti-Malwarebytes found items and removed but didn t fix problem quot is alerts harddrive my saying Windows full Repair Windows Repair quot prompts as long as hard drive error prompts keep popping up in regular mode and I think Windows Repair alerts saying my harddrive is full this is part of the virus As soon Windows Repair alerts saying my harddrive is full as I load anti-malware bytes or try to use sophos in regular mode they just turn off and disappear In safe mode TDSSKiller free version finds nothing Defogger says it s unable to create log when I try to disable CD Emulate Sometimes the computer just shuts down after it shuts down my anti-virus software particularly if I click on any of the suspected virus pop-ups and promts Please Help if You Can I ve attached the logs you ve requested Thank you very much - Mark nbsp Attach txt nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp DDS txt nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp TDSSKiller log txt nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads nbsp GMER Log log nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads

A:Windows Repair alerts saying my harddrive is full

Hello and welcome to the forums!My secret agent name on the forums is SweetTech (you can call me ST for short), it's a pleasure to meet you. I am very sorry for the delay in responding, but as you can see we are at the moment being flooded with logs which, when paired with the never-ending shortage of helpers, resulted in the delayed responding to your thread.I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems.If you have since resolved the issues you were originally experiencing, or have received help elsewhere, please inform me so that this topic can be closed. If you have not, please adhere to the guidelines below and then follow instructions as outlined further below:Logs from malware removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post. Please remember, I am a volunteer, and I do have a life outside of these forums.
Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you. Attention to detail is important! Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
In Windows Vista and Windows 7, all tools need to be started by right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator!
Do not do things I do not ask for, such as running a spyware scan on your computer. The one thing that you should always do, is to make sure sure that your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date!
Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post.
I am going to stick with you until ALL malware is gone from your system. I would appreciate it if you would do the same. From this point, we're in this together ;)
Because of this, you must reply within three days failure to reply will result in the topic being closed!
Please do not PM me directly for help. If you have any questions, post them in this topic.
Lastly, I am no magician. I will try very hard to fix your issues, but no promises can be made. Also be aware that some infections are so severe that you might need to resort to reformatting and reinstalling your operating system.
Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but it sadly does happen. Be prepared to back up your data. Have means of backing up your data available.____________________________________________________Did you set these proxies in Firefox?FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.ftp - 10.1.70.90FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.ftp_port - 8080FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.gopher - 10.1.70.90FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.gopher_port - 8080FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.http - 10.1.70.90FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.http_port - 8080FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.socks - 10.1.70.90FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.socks_port - 8080FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.ssl - 10.1.70.90FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.ssl_port - 8080FF - prefs.js: network.proxy.type - 0NEXT:Running OTMWe need to execute an OTM scriptPlease download OTM by OldTimer and save it to your desktop.Double click the icon on your desktop.Paste the following code under the area. Do not include the word "Code".

:Processes
:Services
:Reg
:Files
c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\18014004.exe
c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\YmEwGJXgpidLPI.exe
c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\{AB2D8F2E-F7AD-4446-A11A-50D846B2CF2A}
echo,Y|cacls "%WinDir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" /G everyone:f /c
ipconfig /flushdns /c
:Commands
[purity]
[emptytemp]
[EMPTYFLASH]
[resethosts]
[createrestorepoint]
Push the large button.OTM may ask to reboot the machine. Please do so if asked.Copy/Pa... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/387323/windows-repair-alerts-saying-my-harddrive-is-full/
Relevancy 51.17%

Our mother board died due to lightning, In replacing the motherboard, what kind of problems will I run into in trying to boot up after motherboard is replaced?

A:Transfering harddrive data

Due to lightning?!! If you're mobo died due to that, I'm pretty sure some other stuff would have died also (like your CPU?)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transfering-harddrive-data.48081/
Relevancy 51.17%

My Gaming PC broke down I am highly guessing is the processor which would always run really hot. Cant Complain since it lasted at least 3 years.

Anyways, right now, all I got left is my laptop. Is there a way I can pull out my old hard drive and get some data and put it on my laptop? I only need one file which is a text file that has my passwords for every site i joined on it.

I am guessing I need to find a way to connect the hard drive externally to my laptop using USB port and get the data i need.

Both my laptop and the harddrive I need to pull has Window Vista home edition installed on it.

A:Recovering Data From Old HardDrive

You could purchase an external HDD caddy suited to the interface of the hard drive (presumably it would be SATA) and then connect, as you said, via USB to the laptop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-data-from-old-harddrive.938938/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi, i'm new to the forums and was looking for some help. I purchased a new computer last week and hooked up my old harddrive to retrieve some of my old data. It was working fine until recently whenever i try to access it, it tells me the harddrive isn't formatted and won't let me view the files. Is there any program or a way i could get some of my old stuff back?
thanks in advance.

A:Any Way To Retrieve Data From Old Harddrive?

Do both drives have XP installed? Are the both NTFS or FAT32 file system?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/47970/any-way-to-retrieve-data-from-old-harddrive/
Relevancy 51.17%

I need help in tranferring one harddrive to another one. My old one has a blue screen and I want some of my data off of it and someone told me I could do it this way. Any advice whether this is true or not. Please give me instruction on how to get this done...Thanks

A:Transfering data from one harddrive to another one

what you mean? when you boot up with the current hdd with the data on it, you get a blue error message? well if thats the case, all you have to do is set the drive to a slave or a cable select drive, put it into another computer (thats working) and then transfer the data to the other computer harddrive. once finished you can format and reinstall windows or whatever.

if the problem is worse you may like to have a look at a data recovery software package to get the data. hope it worrks :grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transfering-data-from-one-harddrive-to-another-one.33816/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hello. I had a computer in which I sometime ago, put a new motherboard and athlon processor in. Just recently, it started acting strange. My control panel would not act right. The Add/Remove Programs would not work, nor would the System icon work. It would suddenly lock up on me. I tried to reinstall Windows XP, but it had a spool error and stopped. Anyway, I bought a new computer with 40 gig hard drive in it and preloaded with Windows XP. (I had Windows XP in the old computer, too.) Is there anyway I can retrieve my data from my old hard drive? I have hundreds of digital photos on it, plus some other data I would hate to lose. I had CD's for all my programs on it. Anybody got any method to retrieve the data?

A:How do I retrieve data from harddrive?

You can hook up the drive as a slave and get your info if the drive is still good.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-retrieve-data-from-harddrive.269163/
Relevancy 51.17%

I asked this a few weeks ago elsewhere not sure now where about off Taking harddrive data transferring data from one computer to a new one I was told to take out the OLD hd unplug the cd-rom of the new computer plug the old hd into this plug and save the info from it onto the new hd I didn t have the new computer at the time and it s not mine it s someone else s I m helping with it She doesn Taking data off harddrive t want me taking her new Taking data off harddrive computer apart to do this The basic question about this now is I can take her old computer take the hd out put it in MY computer plugging it in instead of the CDROM which is my E drive then burn the files from this onto a CD using my CD burner which is my D drive Before I take my pc case off I wanted to check and see if I have this right The CD Rom plug will fit on the HD and it will turn the HD from old computer into the E drive- to take the files and folders from It amazes me that I can talk computer What we were trying to do is zip the folders and send them to her mail but for some reason the quot zip and email quot option doesn t come up on her setup So I remembred the plugging in the hd where the CD ROM goes idea I have WIN SE and the old hd is WIN if that matters in this Also for whoever did the Halloween decorations I love the logo Thanks Carrie nbsp

A:Taking data off harddrive

The old HDD does use the same connections as the CD drive.

BUT

The CD will probably be connected as a Slave drive, and the old HDD will certainly be a Master if it was the boot drive. Therefore you need to set the jumpers from Master (possibly no jumpers) to Slave on the back of the drive. A key to where they go should be on the drive label. All brands tend to be different as to the settings, there is no standard way.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/taking-data-off-harddrive.289854/
Relevancy 51.17%

hi guys first time posting on here hope iv posted this in the right area apologies if not basically my computer has stopped loading up windows its takes me to the load up options screen safe mode last known off my harddrive transfering data config start windows normally screen etc etc and when i choose an option it just begins the reboot process again and again iv tried using windows recovery off the XP cd using some methods iv transfering data off my harddrive found on various forums but to no avail basically iv resigned myself to having to reload windows from scratch but want to know how i go about trying to save all the files on my harddrive that im loathed to lose in the process i have a second computer that i can use as a base but would appreciate some advice detailed i fpossible on how i go about getting the said files onto the second computer from the harddrive from my redundant computer any help would be greatly appreciated andy nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

i am using windows operating system and i have an external harddrive that used to be my primary when attempting to access it through my external hd enclosure it mostly asks me to format it and shows the drive under quot my computer quot recovering data harddrive as just a drive with no current maximum drive capacity and trying to open the drive results in a cyclic redundancy check error ocassionally when plugging in the drive or changing its drive letter from drive management i get the quot scan and fix or continue without scanning quot promp and when i choose continue without scanning it allows recovering harddrive data me to access the drives contents i have finally freed up enough space on my primary harddrive to backup the drives data but cannot seem to get the scan and fix prompt to show up again is there any way to force it to ask to scan and fix instead of asking to format so i can recover the files all the information i can seem to find recovering harddrive data online about it only tells me how to disable the autoplay so it no longer asks but i want it to ask so i can remove the data then reformat the drive fully is there any way you can help nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

Having trouble saving some files I copied from my old cp to my hard drive, appreciate some help.

Thanks!!

A:Saving from data cd to harddrive

Start,Programs, Accessories, Windows Explorer....find the cd drive on left side of box and open right click to copy what is on the cd, then right click paste to where you want it on the right side of ther box

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/saving-from-data-cd-to-harddrive.606077/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello
Im wondering if its possible to connect a computer and a blu ray player to a external hard drive at the SAME time ?

external hard drive ....seagate extreme 1.5.... has firewire and usb

Relevancy 50.74%

My wife takes a lot of digital pictures. I am thinking of getting a Maxtor 5000LE, hook it up to my USB2 and downloading the pictures to it instead of CD. Would I have any problems. I have xp. Would I have any trouble accessing the pictures on the hard drive?

A:External Harddrive

I am using a USB 2.0 controller card with a USB 2.0 HD enclosure. Iuse the drive for storage-- text docs and photos. Have not had any problems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.124068/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a GB usb Netec external hard drive It has worked fine since I bought it about months ago However this morning I couldn t open a folder on the drive as it said it was corrupted Strangely later on I could open that file but not a different one I couldn t find a reason for this or how to fix it so I decided to try and fix it External Harddrive by reformatting it and just copy over the data lost from the my other computer However I can only run a quick format the long one does not complete If I run the quick format and and try to copy data over it has a slow transfer rate and External Harddrive not all the files are copied correct and some do not open Does anybody know why I cannot copy data over External Harddrive successfully and how I can fix this problem I am running windows home premium on a acer aspire TimelineX I have had no problems in the past with this drive and was surprised it had an error in the first place as I always safely removed hardware to prevent this problem Thanks in advance Hen Greer nbsp

Have you tried right clicking on C drive and hitting properties, clicking tools, and selecting scan for errors, and rebooting after you've done that? Leave your External plugged in and hopefully that fixes whatever issues your having.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.949709/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi,
I am trying to connect an external harddrive to my computer via USB. Whenever I plug the drive in i get the following error message:USB-device was not recognized. The drive itself works fine however, since I tried it on my other PC.
I heard it might be that I have to update my chipset, but first of all I am not sure of how to do that and if that is the correct solution for my problem. By the way, I am using Windows XP.
Please can someone be so nice to help me?
Thank you very much in advance

Relevancy 50.74%

I have a new Mextor external drive. I installed it on my laptop and my desktop. When installed, XP isaw the drive on both machines, it showed it as Drive "F". I transfered data back and forth to and from the drive, it worked flawless.

After I shut down both machines and came back the next day tp perform a backup, I plugged the USB in, windows recognized it, but when I went to my computer you could not find the drive, this happened on both machines. I rebooted and the same thing happened.

Please help.......

Relevancy 50.74%

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB internal harddrive that I converted into a external. I have Vista on my laptop and XP Media Center Service Pack 3 on my desktop. I can not get my external to work on the desktop. I connect it to the desktop and it says I need to format. But it works on my laptop and I cant reformat because I don't want to lose all of my data. It loads fine when plugged into the desktop its says hardware is ready to use but I have to reformat.

A:Need Help With External Harddrive

I fixed it. I had to download exFAT driver

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/need-help-with-external-harddrive-441996.html
Relevancy 50.74%

my external hard disk showing (error inpage operation) help me out

Relevancy 50.74%

i bought a sony vaio USB external harddrive off of ebay. it didnt work when i first got it but after some searching i found creating a new DWORD value in the registry disabling the selective suspend on the USB solved the problem. i havent used it in a while and im getting a message saying that the device isnt recognized and isnt showing up in my computer what do i do

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-harddrive.527954/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have an external Hard drive with tons of movies and music on it, Hooks in USB, Tried hooking it to my ps3 but it didn't reconize it... is there a way that will work somehow?

A:PS3 And External HardDrive

The external drive needs to be FAT32 format. If the external drive is NTFS the PS3 will not rcognize it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ps3-and-external-harddrive.799591/